The Secret Wedding
After her father’s funeral in Hong Kong, Patsy returns to Poplar and learns that the Nonnatus midwives have discovered her relationship with Delia and have been taking care of her heartbroken lover. This leads to the couple becoming brave enough to bring forth their wedding ceremony, even if the law objects.
Three-part short story. Takes off from the series 6 finale.
- Part 1 of The Secret Wedding
3 short stories that capture Patsy and Delia’s life in Brighton after their Secret Wedding that nobody asked for but I felt inclined to write.
(1) “Le Hotel Busby-Mount” - After Valerie and Lucille’s secret wedding in 1966, Patsy and Delia offer their beach home to the privacy-deprived honeymooners.
(2) “MidWIVES” - Patsy and Delia’s struggles and triumphs as a same-sex couple trying to have children in 1967.
(3) “Why We March” - Patsy and Delia finally have a happy little family of their own and life appears to be sailing smoothly, until an old patient of Patsy’s exposes their secret relationship. Concurrent with the 1970 Gay Rights Movement in the UK.
- Part 2 of The Secret Wedding