Actions

Work Header

Ohana Means Family, Family Means Everything

Summary:

Steve McGarrett has very little family left. And he also knows next to nothing about his grandfather's side of the family.

Percy Jackson is destined to fight a War. A War that will decide the Fate of the entire world, he needs all the help he can get.

And Nico, well, Nico was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Or possibly the right place at the right time.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter Text

Lieutenant Commander Steve McGarrett was sitting in the beach chair on his personal beach, sipping a beer. He was reflecting on what day it was; December 7, 2010. Almost seventy years to the day of his grandfathers death. He knew next to nothing about him, other than he had died a hero at Pearl Harbor. His father hadn't liked to talk about what he knew of him, and now would never have the chance. Steve had never felt more alone. He had very little blood family left, and none on the island. He had his Five-Ohana though, and they were always there for him.

He was watching the waves go in and out when suddenly a dark shadow coalesced beside him. He leaped out of his chair, grabbing his gun off the side table. He had seen some weird shit on this island and around the world but never like this. Abruptly the dark mass spat out a boy no older than fourteen.

He had medium length black hair that looked like he had just rolled out of bed. His olive colored skin was slightly pale, like he was going to be sick. He was wearing an old WWII aviators jacket, and had a sword on his belt. The sword was strange as the blade was black. Steve had no idea what type of metal it was.

"Where? Where am I?" The boy muttered.

"Hands!" Demanded Steve, brandishing his weapon. "Show me your hands."

The boy held his hands up in the air.

"What's going on?"

"You mysteriously popped up on a Cop's property is what's going on. I don't know how you got here but I need your name, and age."

"Nico di Angelo. I'm thirteen. Can you put the gun down, please? I mean you no harm." The boy, Nico, asked.

"Okay, Nico. I'm Lt. Commander Steve McGarrett, and I'll put the gun down if you unholster your sword and lay it on the ground. Slowly."

Nico grabbed his sword by the hilt. He pulled it out of the holster, and laid it on the ground in front of him. He looked at the man holding a gun to him. He had short black hair that was sticking up in front, and his skin was tanned. His eyes were greenish blue, and Nico thought he looked remarkably like his Cousin Percy.

Nico had been Shadow Traveling from Percy's House to the Underworld. He must've overshot again. At least this time they spoke English.

Steve lowered his gun and laid it back down on the table beside the beach chair.

"You can see my sword?" Asked Nico.

"Of course I can see it. It's got a black blade, which is weird. What type of metal is it made of?"

"Are you a Demigod? Mortals can't see Stygian Iron unless they're Clear-Sighted."

"Demigod? Mortal? What?"

"You can see my sword, so you're either a child of the Gods or you're a Mortal who can see through the Mist." Explained Nico.

"The Gods? The Mist? Do you mean the Hawaiian Gods?"

"Possibly. You could be a child of them and see through the Mist. Or you could be a child of the Greco-Roman Gods. Both Pantheons exist. Is that where I am? Hawaii?"

"Yes, we're on Oahu. And okay, I believed that the Hawaiian Gods were real. I've seen too much to believe otherwise. But you're telling me that the Greek Gods exist too? Like the Ancient Greek Gods? Like Poseidon and Hades?" Said Steve, puzzled.

"Yes. They move with the Heart of the West. It started in Greece, moved to Italy. Then Spain, England, and now they're in America."

"Okay. This is news to me. Demigods?"

"Sometimes the Gods come down to Earth and fall in love with Mortals, you know, regular humans? Then you know, next come children. They're called Demigods or Half-Bloods, because we're half human, half God." Said Nico awkwardly, scratching the back of his head.

"We're? You're a Demigod?"

"Yeah. I am. Nico di Angelo, the Ghost King, Prince of the Underworld, Son of Maria di Angelo and Hades; Greek God of the Underworld, the Dead, and Riches; at your service." He held out his palm, and a small ball of black flames shot out. He closed his hand and they extinguished.

"Okay. Wow. So you think I'm a child of either the Greek or Hawaiian Gods? I know both my parents, and I know for a fact my DNA matches both of them. So I can't be a Demigod." Said Steve, carding his hands through his hair.

"Most likely the Greek Gods. They sleep around more than the Hawaiian Gods. And like I said you could just be a Mortal who can see through the Mist."

"What's the mist?"

"The Mist is the Magical Veil that separates the Mystical World and the Mortal World. Trust me, if Mortals saw half the things I've seen there'd be mass panic in the streets." Explained Nico.

"Okay, so I'm probably a Mortal who's, what did you call it, Clear-Sighted?"

"Yeah. Or you're a Legacy."

Steve sighed, "What's a Legacy?"

"A Legacy is the child or descendant of a Demigod. They're really rare though. Most Demigods don't live long enough to have children."

Suddenly the ocean waves came cresting up to the beach chair. When they washed away, a man in board shorts and a Hawaiian shirt was standing next to Steve.

Nico bowed, "Uncle Poseidon."

"Nephew. Thank you for looking after Percy, your idea will be needed in the upcoming War. Keep trying to convince him, it is the only way."

Nico blushed. "It's no problem, my Lord. He's my Cousin, I'll always look after him."

"If only the same could have been said of your Half Brothers, seventy years ago. If they had been as loyal to Family as you are, my son would not had died by their hands."

"You had another son in the Forties, Lord Poseidon? I only know of Winston Churchill and FDR."

"Woah. Winston Churchill and Franklin Roosevelt were sons of Poseidon?"

"Yes." Said Nico, "The entire Second World War was basically a family feud. The Sons of Hades; Adolf Hitler, Benito Mussolini, and Hideki Tojo; against the Sons of Zeus, Douglas MacArthur and Charles de Gaulle, the Sons of Poseidon Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Winston Churchill. Other demigods fought in the war as well, Eisenhower was a son of Athena and Patton was a son of Ares."

"Okay. That's a whole new perspective."

"I had another son in the Nineteen Forties. He died in the attack on Pearl Harbor, his name was Steven McGarrett, your grandfather, Steve. You are my Great-Grandson." Said Poseidon.

"I'm what? Why didn't I know? Why didn't anyone tell me?"

"Your grandmother never knew, and because she didn't know, his children never knew. It was safer to never tell your family unless it was necessary." Explained Poseidon.

"Once a Demigod or Legacy knows of their Heritage, they become targets for Ancient Greek Monsters. Like the ones you read in the Myths." Said Nico.

"So why tell me now? And I'm guessing I shouldn't tell my sister Mary?"

Nico looked sheepish. "No, you shouldn't tell her unless she suspects. It will keep her safe. And I apologize, Uncle Poseidon. If I hadn't shown up on his beach, he never would have known."

"It's okay, Nico. I was considering telling him, myself."

"You were?" Asked Steve, "Why now?"

"Your Uncle. My son, Perseus. He is destined to fight a War. A War that is escalating rapidly. He needs all the help he can get. You have training Percy does not. I was hoping you could help him."