Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of Code of Honor
Stats:
Published:
2009-01-22
Completed:
2011-09-29
Words:
30,877
Chapters:
12/12
Comments:
2
Kudos:
33
Bookmarks:
8
Hits:
1,241

Code of Honor

Chapter 5: Mr Hurricane

Chapter Text

The drive to his house was the most excruciatingly long drive ever. The way her hand had started off at his knee and slowly worked its way closer to his groin almost made him run them off the road. She wasn't even looking at him; her whole body was twisted away from him, except that hand.

"Jen," he had growled one time, but she had turned to him, an innocent look on her face.

"What?"

"You know what," he said, but she didn't go any further. They reached his house and both adults got out almost immediately.

"Ducky's in there?" Jenny asked and Gibbs nodded. The entered through the front door.

"Ducky?" Gibbs called out.

"In here, Jethro," Ducky said from the living room. Jenny took the chance and bounded up the stairs.

Gibbs walked to the living room, and found Ducky sitting on the couch, reading a book.

"Thank you, Duck. Did he fall asleep alright?" Gibbs asked as Ducky stood up.

"Yes, he got into bed and I was telling a story and it seemed he fell asleep," Ducky said. "I'll be going now." Gibbs walked Ducky to the front door, when the older man stopped and turned. "Good night, Jennifer," he yelled up the stairs and it was immediately followed by something, probably Jenny's foot, hitting something else, probably a table and then a soft curse. Ducky smiled and walked out the door.

"Good night Jethro," he said and got into his car.

Gibbs smiled and locked the front door; he certainly didn't want anyone to interrupt his night.

With a grin he headed up the stairs. He opened his bedroom door, just as Jenny emerged from the spare room Zach was in.

"He asleep?" She nodded and pushed him into his bedroom, closing the door with her foot...


She awoke the next morning with a startle. There was an arm flung around her waist and she could feel the person breathing on her neck. She twisted her head and was only slightly surprised to find Jethro peacefully asleep. The neon numbers behind him caught her eyes. 0600. No wonder she was still sleepy; they'd only been asleep for an hour.

She tried to ease her way out of Jethro's grip, but the moment she did, his grasp tightened. So she waited a few minutes and then tried again, this time she was successful. She walked to the en-suite bathroom and looked in the mirror. She realized her make-up was still on, but quickly took care of it by washing her face. She grabbed one of his sweatpants and a t-shirt and put them on, not caring about underwear. She went back into the bedroom and picked up her discarded clothing.

She quietly opened the door to the bedroom, knowing it creaked and sighing when it didn't. She tiptoed down the hall and down the stairs. Once she stood in the doorway, she put on her heels and left, walking towards Ziva's car.


He woke up naked and alone. The latter was familiar to him, but not the former and especially not together. He sat up and looked at his clock. 0700Early, he thought. So where was she? He was very sure she had been here last night and his state of clothing proved that. When he sat up, he noticed her clothes were gone and it hit him like a ton of bricks: she left.

He got up and pulled on his boxers, walking towards the bathroom. He pulled on a shirt and sweatpants and made a decision as to what he was gonna do.

He was gonna pay her a visit. Right now, he thought. And he'd take Zach with him.

He left the bathroom and went to the spare room. He sat down on the bed.

"Hey, Zach, wake up. Wanna go visit Jenny?" he asked. The boy was sleeping on his stomach with his face buried in his hands.

"Mhm-hmmm, later," the boy mumbled.

"What if I said you could sleep there for a while?" The boy twisted his head and cracked one eye open.

"M'kay." Gibbs grabbed Zach's bag by the door. The boy got up and slipped on his slippers. He went down the stairs and Gibbs was waiting with his jacket ready. He simply slipped his arms through it and they left. He was half-asleep when they walked down the drive-way, got in the car, drove across town and got back out of the car.

Gibbs watched on with amusement as the boy's head would occasionally bob forward and then spring back into place. He got out of the car and walked around, helping Zach out and getting his back-pack.

Gibbs walked up to the front door and rang the bell. He waited a minute then rang it again. When no response came, he knocked.


Jenny was in a deep slumber when she faintly heard the bell. She ignored it and went back to sleep. Then she heard the second bell and became frustrated and got out of bed, planning on telling the person off. As she was coming down the stairs she heard knocking and almost froze.

That was one person and one person only.

"Come on!" she heard Zach yell and smiled.

"Comin'," she said and was already opening the front door. Zach, still wearing his pajamas, pushed past her and started ascending the stairs, slowly. Gibbs also came in and dropped the backpack next to the door.

"We need to talk," he said.

"Jethro, I'm really tired. I'm going to go to sleep and when I wake up in a few hours, we'll talk, okay?" she asked. He shrugged and closed the door behind him. She stood astonished when he went up the stairs. She had meant for him to go home, not stay!

She shook her head and went upstairs. She opened the first door on her right and almost fainted. Gibbs was sleeping on the left side in the bed and Zach a little in the middle, but more to the right. They terrorized my bedroom! Now, she could understand Zach, the sleepy boy had probably opened the first door and found a bed, that much was obvious, but Jethro knew which one was her bedroom. Well, at least he didn't get in on my side.

Jenny closed the door and walked over to the bed. She pulled back the covers and the way Zach squirmed at the sudden cold rush of air was enough to make her stop a second and smile. She got in the bed and covered herself, and was soon lulled to sleep by the feeling of Zach's breathing, because he was lying curled up against her, and Jethro's snoring.


It was a few hours later that Zach woke up. He first shook his head. He turned to his left and there was Jenny and he turned to his right and there was Gibbs. Interesting. He crawled out on top of the covers to the foot of the bed and got up. He smiled at the way Jenny and Gibbs inched closer, seeking warmth. Jenny's head ended up on Gibbs shoulder with his arm around her.

Zach couldn't help it and picked up Jenny's Blackberry off the nightstand and took a few pictures of the two. He had pictures on her phone, but didn't deem it enough.

Where would she keep her camera?

Zach started looking through her drawers, knowing that he shouldn't snoop, but doing it anyway. And then he saw a small camera bag in the walk-in closet, in the far back corner. He had to crawl to get to it, but once he did, he was happy. He sat on the floor and took out the camera. It was big and looked expensive. She probably liked taking pictures, but hadn't in a long time. He started looking through the pictures on the memory card. The pictures dated years back. Some of the pictures looked real professional. He made a mental note to bring that up.

And then, suddenly, there was a picture of Gibbs. But it was a much younger-looking Gibbs. He remembered what Gibbs said and concluded that this must've been that history he was talking about. He stopped at the third picture of Gibbs, realizing this was beyond breaching her privacy. He got up and made sure the strap was securely around his neck, before walking out of the closet and into the bedroom. He held the camera up and snapped away. At one point he even crawled onto the bed and took a close-up of their faces, so close to each other. Abby would be so thrilled.

When he heard one of them stir, he ran back to the closet and stashed the camera. He sat in the middle of the closet and that's how Jenny found him moments later.

"What are you doing in here?" she asked and walked around him to grab something off a shelf. Zach simply shrugged.

"You have a lot of clothes. You have a lot of shoes." The last sentence made Jenny laugh.

"I do, I love my heels," she said.

"Jenny, why are you in Gibbs clothes?" Zach noticed.

"Because," she said and walked out. He got up and walked behind her, afraid he'd done something wrong. The bathroom door was closed, so he slumped down to the floor against it.

"Jenny?!" he yelled.

"Yeah?" she yelled back.

"I'm sorry!" Before he knew it, he was falling backwards. Jenny had opened the door and he happened to be leaning against it.

"What for?" Zach didn't make any attempts to get up, just remained lying flat on the floor.

"You seem upset," Zach said, making her smile warmly.

"No, sweetie, I'm not upset." She bent down and ruffled his hair. "Now, may I get dressed?"

"Go ahead," Zach said and didn't move an inch.

"Zach, get out," she said playfully and a lot of groaning and huffs and puffs on his part later, she closed the bathroom door.


Jenny walked down the stairs and heard something coming from her kitchen, so she decided that she would look there. She found Zach sitting at the kitchen island, a bowl in front of him. The milk stood next to the bowl; so did the cereal she forgot she even had.

"Y'know, these Froot Loops are way past their expiration date," Zach said as she approached.

"Then why are you eating them?" Jenny asked and turned on the coffee machine.

"Because you have nothing else and I'm hungry."

"Well, that's because Noemi usually goes shopping on Mondays," Jenny said, leaning against the counter and watching as he added more cereal to his milk. He noticed her staring.

"I need the perfect cereal-to-milk ratio. And who's Noemi?"

"She's my housekeeper."

"So, you don't go grocery shopping? Like ever?" Jenny thought about it that way and shook her head.

"Why not? It's fun!" At this Jenny laughed. Never in her life had she found grocery shopping 'fun'.

"I'll show you it's fun," Zach said determined.

"Alright. If it'll make you happy, I'll call Noemi and tell her we'll do the grocery shopping." Zach smiled gloriously.

"Do you have a straw?" he asked and Jenny rummaged through a drawer, finally producing one for Zach. He put it in his bowl and slurped all the milk away. He put the cereal and milk back to their original places and put the spoon and bowl in the sink.

"I'll go shower so we can go," he said and left, but then he walked back in.

"Which bathroom can I use?" Jenny laughed and guided him up the stairs.


A shower, a quick detour to Noemi's place for the grocery list and debate with her security later, Jenny was pushing a cart through the grocery store. Well, more like she was leaning on it and slowly going forward.

"Alright," Jenny said as Zach put the ham in the cart. "Milk." So they walked to the shelves containing milk and Zach was reaching for one when she stopped him.

"No, that's not the one. This is the one I drink." She reached and took two cartons of milk.

"But that one's gross. This one is delicious," he said, advertising the one in his hand.

"Well, first off, this morning you had the gross one and second, this is healthier."

"Well, first off, this morning I was hungry and second... I have no second," Zach said, frowning.

"I'll make you a deal, we'll take that one so when you're at my house, you don't have to drink the gross milk," Jenny said and the boy smiled, putting the carton of milk in the cart. They turned the corner to the next isle and Jenny groaned, ready to skip this one.

"No no, no no no." Zach said and pulled the cart into the isle.

"Zach, I never have this stuff in the house, anyway," Jenny said, but knew the boy wouldn't budge.

"Look, Oreo cookies!" He gasped. "Double Stuffed, my favorite!" He grabbed it and went to put it in the cart.

"No, Zach, that's why I didn't want to even come into this one, you'll get tempted," Jenny said, but already knowing she had lost.

"Pretty please? It's for when I come over," he said and turned the puppy dog eyes on her.

"Fine." And that's the way the Oreo's, the M&M's and the bag of candy that was supposedly for Halloween, made their way into her cart.

When they were at the cashier, she took an overall look at what she had bought and realized that she bought more than intended. She didn't mind, but she noticed that all the stuff she hadn't intended to buy was in some way related to Zach. From the milk to the burger patties to the new box of Froot Loop's.

As they were walking back to her car with the bags, Zach remembered the initial point of going grocery shopping.

"So, you have fun?" he asked. She smiled and nodded.

"Yes, although I think it has more to do with the company than the errand itself," she said making Zach smile. They loaded the groceries in the back.

Zach was about to get in into the passenger seat in the front, when Jenny stopped him.

"Nuh-uh. In the back, and I'm not budging on this one," Jenny said sternly. Zach saw her expression and didn't fight it, getting in the back instead. He put on his seatbelt, even though it wasn't necessary in the back. Jenny got in the driver's seat and started the car.

As they were pulling out of the parking lot, her phone begun to ring.

"Good morning, Jethro," she answered with a smile.

"Morning Jen. Where are you?" he said.

"There's a letter on my pillow," she said, taunting him.

"I don't have my glasses and your writing is small."

"We went grocery shopping." She looked at Zach trough the rear view mirror and saw him smiling.

"Since when do you go grocery shopping, Jen?"

"Since Zach suggested it."

"I was worried," he said softly and her breath hitched in her throat.

"Jethro, we're coming home now, we're already half-way there," she said sincerely. The last thing she had intended to do was worry him.

"What did he rope you into buying?" Gibbs asked on a lighter tone.

"A lot. Candy and that brand of milk you like," she said, shaking her head, as she could hear his smug grin.

"He's good," Gibbs said, instead.

"That he is." Zach felt that they were talking about him.

"Hey, stop talking about me!" he said loud enough for Gibbs to hear it, too.

"Well then I'll hang up," Jenny said with an amused grin.

"See you soon, Jen," Gibbs said and they both hung up.

Gibbs leaned back in bed and shook his head. Immediately, he felt his gut acting up. Something didn't feel right. He couldn't pinpoint what it was, but it was a feeling he had the day Shannon and Kelly got in that car. He became a little alarmed and hit redial, calling Jenny, even if she would mock him.

He couldn't stop the feeling of dread that passed through him when she didn't pick up.