Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of Code of Honor
Stats:
Published:
2009-01-22
Completed:
2011-09-29
Words:
30,877
Chapters:
12/12
Comments:
2
Kudos:
33
Bookmarks:
8
Hits:
1,241

Code of Honor

Chapter 6: Porcelain

Chapter Text

Gibbs grabbed his cell phone and hit speed dial #5.

"Pick up!" he said.

"McGee," he answered.

"McGee, are you up?" Gibbs barked.

"Yeah."

"Okay. Get me a location on the Director," he said.

"Everything okay, boss?"

"Just do it, McGee."

"I am! Sorry, boss. Um, she's on New York Avenue, but boss..."

"What is it, McGee?" Gibbs was really worried now.

"She's not moving."

"Call me as soon as she does," Gibbs said before he hung up. He quickly changed clothes and left, Zach's bag in his hand. He hopped into the car and started it, for the first time cursing the broken radio. He was driving worse than Ziva, to get to that road, when McGee called him.

"Boss, it's on the move," he said.

"Call me when it stops."

"Yes boss." Gibbs screeched to a stop next to a police cruiser. He got out of the car and almost forgot how to breathe. He saw that there were at least three cars involved in the crash. Jenny's car was the most badly beaten one, with the driver's side door completely crushed.

He flashed his badge to the officer standing, securing the perimeter.

"Who's in charge here?!" he yelled and a cop came walking towards him.

"Sir, you need to stand back," he said politely, but with a hint of a threat.

"I don't need to do anything." He held up his ID. "Gibbs, NCIS. What happened here?"

"Ah, yes, I apologize. Fredericks, Metro PD. Here's what we have so far. The first car was driving down the road, when the second car slammed in the back to create an ambush and then the third car slammed here." As he explained, Fredericks guided Gibbs along the cars and at the end of his phrase point to the point of impact, where the front of the third car slammed into the first car.

"Witnesses?" Gibbs asked, barely trying to keep his voice normal.

"One, he called 911. We arrived around the same time as the ambulance. One fatality, two injured." When he said this, Gibbs almost couldn't breathe. "Looks like the guy in the third car got what he deserved." Gibbs let out an audible sigh.

"One's missing," Gibbs said.

"Yes. According to our witness, the occupant of the second car got away. But, the airbag did inflate, so we've notified all hospitals in the area for patients coming in with air-pressure burns."

"Which hospital are they being brought to?" Gibbs asked, ready to call in his team and go to the hospital.

"Bethesda. We found Director Shepard's ID and thought it was best to take her and the boy there," the man explained and Gibbs was Abby, he would hug the man right now.

"I'll let my team follow up with you; we want to oversee the investigation. The Director's life is on stake here," Gibbs said.

"No problem Agent Gibbs." Gibbs walked away when his phone started ringing.

"Gibbs."

"Yeah, boss, it stopped moving. She's at—."

"Bethesda Naval Hospital. Good work McGee. Call Ziva and Tony and get down here to the crime scene."

"Boss?"

"The place her phone was at the beginning. Crime scene. Now." With that, Gibbs hung up.

"My team will be here," Gibbs said to the cop. "I'm gonna go to the hospital."

Gibbs walked to his car and sat there for a minute, breathing deeply. Inhale. Exhale. Then he started the car and drove like a maniac to the hospital.

He flashed his badge at the gate to the ER parking and the guard let him pass. Gibbs quickly found a place to park, as it wasn't really full, and got out, walking to the ER. But before he went inside, he leaned against the wall outside and took a few deep breaths. They weren't dead, no worries.

And then he walked in. Well—more like he stormed in. The nurse behind the counter visibly jumped, and was quickly pushed away by a more senior nurse, intending on dealing with this man.

"I'm here about Jenny Shepard and Zach Tanner," he said and the nurse shouldn't have looked in his eyes. She had a knack at reading people, and even though frustration was coming off the man in waves, there was something in his blue eyes that made her hesitate. She saw it as deep anguish and worry and she softened. He was here about the car crash victims.

"Agent Gibbs, I'm with NCIS," he said and showed her his badge. She had a feeling there was more to it, and decided that for once, she would tell him what she knew.

"Zach is the little boy brought in with her?" Gibbs nodded. "He's okay. He was unconscious when they pulled him out of the car. His arm is broken in two places and they're putting a cast on it now, luckily, he still hasn't woken up," she commented and saw his eyebrow raise in question.

"It really hurts, agent Gibbs. And he has a mild concussion. The doctor will probably suggest that he stay a few nights here." She paused to take a breath and saw him swallow.

"What about Jen?" he asked and damnit, why did his voice sound so hoarse?

"I don't know much. When they brought her in she was rushed into surgery. Sorry I can't tell you more," the nurse said sincerely and he knew she really didn't know anything else. "You can stay in the waiting room and as soon as I know something I'll let you know." Gibbs nodded distantly and turned to the waiting room. The moment he did he was waylaid by a flash of black and then he was crushed into one of the biggest Abby-hugs he'd ever experienced.

"Abigail, the man has to breathe," Ducky said from behind Abby. Abby quickly pulled away.

"Sorry, Gibbs. I didn't mean to suffocate you. But when you called Timmy I was so worried, and I was there, but that's not the point, and then he said the Director's phone was at Bethesda and I got so worried so then I tracked your phone and you were coming here, so I called Ducky, and we—."

"Abigail, you also need to breathe," Ducky reminded her, mid-rant.

"So, what did the doctor say?" Abby asked.

"I didn't talk to a doctor, but a nurse told me Zach's arm is broken and Jen's in surgery." They were gonna enter the waiting room, but that same nurse who Gibbs talked to, called out to him.

"Agent Gibbs!" He did a sharp 180-degree turn and walked to the nurse's station.

"Yes." She had a faint smile on her face.

"I was just called, you can go see your son. He was taken to the Children's Ward, fifth floor," she said and Gibbs visibly relaxed. The nurse noticed that he didn't even bother to correct her conscious mistake.

"Thank you," Gibbs said to her sincerely and her heart warmed, knowing she had made him feel just the tiniest bit better. Gibbs hesitated at the stairs.

"Go, Jethro, we'll stay here in case they know something."

"Thanks Duck." The elevators opened and Gibbs got in, pressing the button for the fifth floor. He waited patiently as other people got it, started tapping his foot when they all pressed a different floor button, started looking at his watch when the doors would open at every floor and then it finally got to the fifth floor.

He saw a sign that said Children's Ward and big arrow, so he followed it. He almost flinched at the sight of the bright yellow walls and hoped that inside the rooms were not the same colors.

He walked to the Nurses' Station and a nurse turned to him with a giant smile, almost making him flinch again.

"In what room is Zach Tanner?"

"5014, it's right over there. I'll send the doctor," she said and turned back around. Gibbs walked to the door she pointed at and softly opened it. He entered and saw three beds, all three containing boys. Zach was on the one the closest to him. The one in the middle had a boy of about 8, with his mom sitting at the foot of the bed. The boy was wide awake and was staring at Gibbs. On the third bed was a ten-year-old. His mom and dad were sitting on chairs next to the bed.

Gibbs walked over to Zach's bed and gently sat down on the edge, as there was no chair. Zach's eyes slowly opened and he immediately sat up.

"Gibbs!" The boy hugged him as best as he could.

"Shh, Zach, it's okay," he said in a soothing voice and tried to coax the boy into lying back down.

"But, we were in the car and then another car. Where's Jenny?!" he suddenly asked, panicked. "Is she dead?"

"No, Zach, she's not dead, she's here in this hospital."

"But is she okay? Gibbs, she screamed and there was a lot of blood, I remember it and there was glass everywhere," he continued in a distressed voice. Gibbs could feel the others' eyes on them and turned to give them all a good glare, making them shy away.

"Zach, calm down. It's all gonna be ok, but you need to calm down. The doctor's coming in right now to talk to us." Zach held up his right arm.

"It broke," he said simply, which in turn, made Gibbs chuckle.

The door opened and there stood a woman with blonde hair in her early-thirties, wearing a lab coat, much like Abby wears her, rolled up at the sleeves. She scanned the room and walked towards Zach and Gibbs. She smiled.

"Good afternoon. I'm doctor Samantha Sanders," she said and stuck out her hand for Gibbs to shake. She transferred the file in her left hand to her right and stuck out her left hand to Zach, who smiled and shook it with his left hand.

"Call me Sam," she said. "So, you are Zach Tanner?" Zach nodded.

"And you are?" She turned to Gibbs.

"His legal guardian. Agent Gibbs," he stated simply. The doctor turned back to Zach.

"How are you feeling, Zach?" she asked, opening his file.

"Worried." She smiled at this.

"Physically?"

"I have a head ache. And my arm's broken," Zach stated simply.

"Well, yes I noticed. You have a few cuts on your arms and face, caused by broken glass. And your hand is broken in two places. You have a mild concussion that explains the head-ache. It should go over soon, because we're gonna put you on some meds for the pain in your arm that should also relieve your head ache. Are you allergic to anything?" Zach nodded.

"Penicillin," he said and Sam wrote that down in his file. "Okay. Any questions?"

"Do I have to take pills?" Zach asked and scrunched his face up a bit.

"No. We'll administer the medication through your IV line. Anything else?"

"How long am I gonna stay locked up here?" At this Sam chuckled.

"I want to keep you here two nights, just to make sure you're ok. But you are allowed to walk around and visit the kids' playroom, as long as you don't overdo it." She smiled at the boy, who didn't smile back. She was about to go to the next boy, when Gibbs stopped her.

"When can he go to school?" Gibbs asked. She thought for a moment.

"Maybe next week if he's feeling good, if not then until he feels strong enough." Gibbs nodded. "So... Agent Gibbs, agent in what, exactly?" she asked.

"NCIS," Gibbs said simply.

"What is that?"

"Naval Criminal Investigative Service." He seemed completely oblivious to her attraction to him, so she said goodbye and walked to the next patient. Gibbs sat back down on the bed.

"I don't like her," Zach whispered.

"Why are we whispering?"

"Because she's still in the room."

"Why don't you like her?" Gibbs whispered.

"She likes you," Zach screamed in the whispering voice. Gibbs did a double-take. What?He hadn't even noticed.

"And why does that bother you?" Gibbs asked, wanting to rope it out of the kid.

"Because you love Jenny," Zach scream-whispered again. Gibbs smiled.

"Who told you that?" Zach seemed to take a moment at this.

"Your body language." He smiled victoriously, making Gibbs shake his head.

"Gibbs..." Zach started but trailed off.

"Yes Zach." Zach reached under the blankets and produced Jenny's Blackberry.

"Since when did you have this?"

"Since the car. I took a picture with it this morning and I wanted to show it to her. So I got in between the seats and she looked and then the car hit us from the back. Then she told me to get down, but my arm was a little late." He held up his right hand. "I was scared." Gibbs passed his hand through the boy's hair.

"It's okay," he said and Zach hugged him. Gibbs felt his phone vibrating in his pocket and quickly fished it out.

"Gibbs," he answered.

"Jethro, I've been informed that Jennifer just got out of surgery. I've already sent Abby up to stay with Zach. Take the elevator to the second floor," Ducky said. Gibbs took a deep breath.

"Thanks Duck."

"Jenny?" Zach asked and Gibbs nodded. "Abby's coming?" Again Gibbs nodded. "Go."

"You sure?" Zach nodded. "Alright. When I come back, I'll bring your backpack." Zach smiled. Gibbs got up, and then the door opened to reveal Abby.

"Zach!" She ran over to the bed, unbeknownst to her that all eyes were watching her. She hugged Zach lightly. She turned to Gibbs.

"What are you still doing here? Go find out what happened to the Director!" Abby snapped and Gibbs quickly left.


When the elevator doors opened, Gibbs stepped out and spotted Ducky.

"Duck." Ducky turned to Gibbs and handed him a cup of coffee.

"Jethro, they told me a doctor should come out to talk to us soon," Ducky said and as he said this, two surgeons in scrubs walked out a set of double doors. One of the men read a chart.

"Family for Jennifer Shepard?" he said and looked around expectantly.

"Us," Gibbs said and walked to the two, Ducky right behind him.

"Right. And you are?"

"Her husband," Gibbs blurted out, before he had even processed those words in his head.

"Okay. I'm Doctor Adams, this is my colleague, Doctor Townsend." He nodded his head at the surgeon standing a little behind him. "Your wife sustained a lot of injuries. Our two main concerns were internal bleeding and a shard of metal that passed between her ribs, but punctured a lung. We managed to take out the shard of metal, and then we went to try and stop the bleeding. She flat-lined on the table, but we revived her and stopped the bleeding, although she did receive a blood transfusion. Her arm is also in a sling, because of a dislocated shoulder. Besides that, she has some minor cuts and bruises." Gibbs looked completely in shock at the words the doctor was saying to him. "But, we expect that she'll make a full recovery." Gibbs' coffee almost fell out of his hand in relief.

"Can I see her?" he asked and the man nodded.

"Yes. She's been taken to her private room, but she's still unconscious. When she's awake, tell the nurse to page me or Dr. Townsend to check up on her." Gibbs nodded. The other doctor walked up to him and handed him a piece of paper. 3407.

"It's her room number. Third floor."

"Thank you," Gibbs said and decided that he'd said that a lot today. Ducky stayed, talking to the doctors.


Abby had brought Bert, and Zach was hugging it to him. The hippo kept farting, much to the amusement of the two, and the other occupants' curiosities were piqued. Gibbs walked in and Zach dropped Bert.

"How's Jenny?" he asked.

"Out of surgery. It's a little bad, but the doctor said she'll be okay." Both Abby and Zach's shoulders relaxed. Gibbs' hand appeared from behind it, holding Zach's backpack, making the boy smile. Gibbs set it down in front of him and watched as he searched through it.

"I'm gonna go see Jenny, you two okay here?" Both nodded.


Gibbs stood in the doorway of her room. She was lying on the bed, and she looked so small and fragile in it. She looked even paler than she did before. Her hair was sprawled on the pillow next to her. He walked in and quietly closed the door behind him. As he neared her, he could see the steady rise and fall of her chest. He stood towering over her, took her free hand in his, gently rolling his thumb over the smooth skin. He brought her hand up to his lips and pressed a small, soft kiss to her knuckles. He noticed her left shoulder in a sling. With his free hand, Gibbs let his knuckles caress her cheek and smiled when she unconsciously leaned into his touch. He heard her moan and saw her eyes flutter.

"Jen..." he said softly and her eyes slowly opened. "Hi." He could see the sparkle in her gorgeous green eyes. He could see the smile in them, but then she whimpered.

"Are you in pain?" he asked worriedly and she nodded. "I'll get the nurse." Her hand shot out and clamped around his wrist. He turned to her.

"Jethro..." He wasn't sure if she had really said it out loud, or it was his imagination, but he had seen her mouth form his name. "What happened?" Her voice was really gruff.

"You don't remember?" She shook her head. "You were in a car accident."

"Zach?" she asked, eyes wild.

"He's okay. His arm is just broken." She smiled and calmed down a little. She closed her eyes for a second.

"I need to get the doctor," Gibbs urged. She nodded, so he left and quickly returned. "Nurse said he's coming." Her eyes closed again for a brief second. "If you have to sleep, don't mind me."

She shook her head. "Don't wanna," she said, and her voice was losing some of its hoarseness. "Tell me something?" she asked softly, eyes pleading.

"We're married." Her eyes went wide and her mouth fell open.

"What?!"

"I lied to your doctor to get information about your condition." She smiled a little and shook her head in exasperation. He smiled that half-smile she had grown to love and found so cute, a word in itself that she never thought she'd use to describe Jethro Gibbs. With her left hand she patted on the space on the bed next to her body. Gibbs did not sit down. She patted again, her eyes speaking volumes.

"I don't want to hurt you," he said.

"Gibbs, sit down. Now." And even though it was said in a soft voice, not at all threatening, but her eyes were doing the job her tone couldn't. He sat down on the edge and she smiled. Gibbs leaned forward and pressed a soft kiss to her forehead, making her eyes flutter close for an entirely new reason.

And then there was a knock on the door, right before it opened to reveal Dr. Townsend.

"Hi, am I interrupting?" he asked, both adults shaking their heads. "Director Shepard, I'm doctor Townsend. How are you feeling?"

"Good. And call me Jenny." The doctor looked a little stunned.

"Good, you're already pretty articulate, which is very good." He marked it down on her chart.

The doctor explained everything, in detail, to Jenny and Gibbs, while her hand was holding firmly onto his.

"Any questions?" Dr. Townsend asked.

"How long do I have to stay in the hospital? And then at home?"

"We want to keep you here about ten nights, to make sure the wound heals nicely and to reassure that the internal bleeding has completely stopped. And I'm sorry to say that you've been placed on bed rest. Also, when you leave the hospital, bed rest for two weeks, and then two more weeks at home. So, I think it's safe to say that for at least the next month, no work." Jenny's mouth hung slightly open, and Gibbs pushed it closed with an amused smirk on his face.

She's never going to survive.

Jenny couldn't believe it; she loved her job and enjoyed it thoroughly. And now she was being told she couldn't go to work for a month.
I'm never gonna survive.

"Remember to rest," were Dr. Townsend's last words before he left. Gibbs smirked at Jenny's crestfallen face. He knew the no work-thing was gonna hit hard. He kept watching her until she yawned.

"You need to sleep," he admonished gently. She shook her head. He pulled back the blankets on the bed, shrugged off his shoes and slipped into the bed on her good side. She leaned her head on his shoulder. His hand was massaging her scalp and it was that, combined with his steady breath that lulled her into a deep slumber.