Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of Code of Honor
Stats:
Published:
2009-01-22
Completed:
2011-09-29
Words:
30,877
Chapters:
12/12
Comments:
2
Kudos:
33
Bookmarks:
8
Hits:
1,241

Code of Honor

Chapter 9: Soul

Chapter Text

Gibbs was sitting on Jenny's black leather, living room couch. Jenny's head laid peacefully in her lap; she was sleeping. She had been spending a lot of time on this specific couch lately, not wanting to be locked upstairs in her bedroom and being forbidden in her study by him. He was absentmindedly watching a football game. He was glad she was asleep—he couldn't handle another soap opera. She had grown weirdly attached to those, lately. In general, she did three things: read, watch TV and whine and bother him about letting her walk to her destinations. The latter the most, which he always refused. He ran his fingers through her hair, hearing her sigh softly.

With her out of it for at least a month, Gibbs was supposedly acting Director. Not thatconversation had been an eventful one. She had simply told him he would have to do it. He told her that he wasn't leaving her alone at home. And then she twisted his arm until he agreed. Except that he spent more time at home, with her, than at the NCIS building. She had noticed this and called Cynthia, who had informed her that he was only in on extreme emergencies and nothing else. Orders from the acting Director. He was there when she had rolled her eyes and thanked her faithful assistant.

Gibbs heard the front door slam open and close, followed by a backpack going 'thud' against the hardwood floors. He heard whistling coming from that general direction, making him smile. He heard one shoe drop, then the other. He walked on socks into the living room, having resorted to humming instead. He stopped when he saw Jenny asleep. Gibbs smiled.

"You're happy today," Gibbs remarked. Zach nodded. "How was school?"

"Too easy. And the Principal wants to talk to you," Zach said offhandedly, laughing at a commercial of a talking baby on TV.

"Anything you wanna tell me?" Gibbs asked.

"I kissed Annie," Zach mumbled, the words strung together. The boy blushed bright red.

"Really?" Gibbs was trying his hardest not to smile, because it was obviously embarrassing to the boy sitting across from him on the coffee table.

"Anything else?" Gibbs had a feeling something was not right. He wasn't ever called in by the principal, unless it was something bad. And even then, he usually went to the teacher before the principal.

"I got into a fight," Zach said, in the same way as before, except his tone wasn't laced with embarrassment, but guilt.

"Why?" he asked carefully, knowing full well that he didn't need to reprimand the boy, seeing as how the guilt was threatening to overtake him.

"That kid made a crack about my father." Zach was paying a large amount of interest to the floor.

"Okay, Zach, it's good you defended your dad, but you didn't have to get into a fight."

"I know." Gibbs was really worried, but choosing not to voice it at the moment. Zach wasn't really the type to get into fights at school.

"Alright. Do you have homework you need help with?" Every day Gibbs asked him this question, and today, like every day, his answer was the same.

"Nope." And he trudged out of the living room. Gibbs heard the backpack being dragged and then the door to Jenny's study being shut closed. For the last two weeks, that's where Zach would go to make his homework. He would sit in Jenny's chair, use one of her pens—"But what if you get the answer wrong?" "I won't"—and make his homework.

"Fights at school..." Jenny said, and his gaze snapped down to hers. He smiled at her sleep-laced eyes. It was a rare occurrence that this happened, as it was only present for a few minutes after she would wake.

"He said fight," Gibbs defended Zach.

"I think it's fights. You haven't noticed?" Jenny asked him and sat up. She ran a hand through her hair, combing the tangles out of it.

"Yeah. He's become a little distant lately," Gibbs said.

"A little? Jethro, I haven't seen a real, genuine smile from him for a week, at least."

"Why do you think that is?" Gibbs asked, worriedly.

"What do you think it is?" Jenny challenged him and made to get up.

"Where do you think you're going?" Gibbs asked.

"Bathroom," she said simply, and raising an eyebrow as if to contradict her. Gibbs swiftly stood up and scooped her up in his arms. He started walking to the closest bathroom.

"Leroy Jethro Gibbs! Put me down this instant!" Jenny yelled at Gibbs. He shrugged and set her down in front of the door.

"Aargh!" she said at him, before disappearing into the bathroom, slamming the door shut behind her.

"Hey, I'm following doctor's orders!" Gibbs shouted to the door. He heard soft cursing and smirked. After waiting awhile, the door swung open and Jenny came out. She smiled wryly and waited for Gibbs to lift her up. He did not disappoint. Depositing her on the couch, he went to the study. He opened the door softly, and watched as Zach worked on his homework.

"I'm almost done Gibbs," the boy said, not looking up.

"When does your principal want to see me?"

"Tomorrow after school."


"Good afternoon, Agent Gibbs, good afternoon Zach," the assistant said to him.

"Good afternoon," the two said in unison.

"You can have a seat," the overly-cheerful woman said.

"Do I have to stay?" Zach asked.

"Yes." Zach made to run away, but Gibbs just caught him by the back of his jacket. He grumbled.

"Fast," Gibbs said. "But not fast enough." Zach frowned and sat down on the chair next to Gibbs. He plopped his bag on the floor and sighed in defeat.

"Good afternoon Agent Gibbs, Zach." A woman with brown hair, pulled back into a tight bun, appeared at the doorway to the principal's office.

"Good afternoon Mrs. Cameron," Zach said, with a small smile.

"Good afternoon," Gibbs said politely. The principal motioned for Gibbs to enter her office.

"Stay here," Gibbs said to Zach, as a warning. He walked behind the woman and closed the door behind him.

"Have a seat," Mrs. Cameron said, as she sat down behind her desk. Gibbs sat down in one of the plush leather seats.

"I assume you know why I called you in today?" the older woman asked.

"Zach told me he got into a fight," Gibbs said simply. She quirked an eyebrow.

"Huh, well, that's not all. There are some things we need to discuss. Some good and some... less good. Like the fighting for instance. It's happened more than once." Jenny was right, of course. It had been more than one little fight.

"I let it go the first time it happened, because of his father's death, but this is the third time already."

"When did it happen the first time?" Gibbs asked, worried.

"Last week. And then on Friday and yesterday." Gibbs saw that the woman, too, was worried, and he completely understood. This wasn't Zach-behavior at all.

"I think he's hurting on the inside," the woman said. "It's typical behavior for a grieving child. Which brings me to the lighter part of the conversation. He's doing excellent in school." And that, Gibbs wasn't expecting. Sure, everyday Zach was done with homework in less than an hour, and always saying it was easy.

"Really?"

"I've been looking at his test scores, some of his homework, and listened to the teacher's observations. With a few other teacher's, and his own teacher we sat down and had a meeting. We came to the conclusion, that, with only the best interests of Zach in mind, we would like to advance him to the second grade." For probably the first time in his life, Gibbs jaw dropped open. He quickly shut it, but his eyebrows remained near his hairline.

"It's the second month of school," Gibbs said, still stunned by the news.

"I know that. But he's already much more advanced than the rest of the class. Did he tell you that when the class has reading hour, he gets sent up to read with the third-graders?"

"No, he didn't." This was much more Zach-behavior. He remembered when Jenny asked him about working with a pen.

"Well, he does. It's completely up to him, but of course you need to agree." The woman really hoped that he would agree.

"And if he says no?" Gibbs asked, because there had to be a downside to this.

"I'm afraid that he'll be so bored in the class he is now, that he will slack off and then his grades will slip. But if he's in second grade, he'll be at his level and he'll feel a challenge, keeping him busy."

"You do know that he skipped a year in elementary, right?" Gibbs asked.

"Yes, I do. Zach is very mature for his age, and I feel that he will fit right in with the kids in second grade."

"And if he decides to go to second grade, when would that be?" Gibbs inquired.

"Right after receiving his first report card, so around the beginning of December. Is that you agreeing?" she asked.

"Let me think about it."

"You'll tell Zach?"

"I will. How do you think we can stop the fighting?" Gibbs asked, truly clueless.

"Talk to him. See what's bothering him."

"Alright. Thank you," Gibbs said and stood up to leave.

"Agent Gibbs, I take it you'll let me know about the decision?" Gibbs nodded and left. Zach was sitting in the same position as before, swinging his legs under him. He turned to face Gibbs when he heard the door close.

"Gibbs," he said softly.

"You told me you got into one fight," Gibbs said simply and sat down next to him.

"Only yesterday. But there were two more before that," Zach said quietly, looking down and feeling ashamed.

"Why?" The boy shrugged.

"Zach, I asked you a question," Gibbs said sternly.

"Because I was upset," Zach said quietly.

"But it didn't happen right after you went to school again. It started later," Gibbs remarked.

"Because I didn't really miss my dad until then."

"What do you mean?" Gibbs was confused now.

"At first it was like staying with an uncle and aunt, y'know, like a vacation. But then, after a while I really started missing him. Gibbs, I miss my dad," Zach said and looked up at Gibbs. There was a sad expression on his face and a lone tear trailed down his face.

"But then why did you get into a fight?"

"Because." The boy sniffed. "Because being angry at someone was easier than hurting on the inside. And then yesterday Gerald said what he said and, like the other two times, I snapped. I don't know why Gibbs. So I punched him." Zach shrugged helplessly. "I feel guilty." Gibbs did a double-take.

"Why do you feel guilty, Zach?"

"Because I wanted to go to the amusement park. My dad wanted to stay home and watch movies. But I begged him to go to that park. And if we had stayed home, maybe they wouldn't have taken him and he would still be alive. It's all my fault." Zach looked completely dejected.

"Zach, it's not your fault. Not to make you feel worse, but if you had stayed home, they would've gotten him there, too. Zach, none of this is your fault. You shouldn't think that," Gibbs said firmly, trying his hardest to take away those thoughts from the boy. "Whenever you feel that way, I want you to talk to me, okay? And whenever you want, we can go to the cemetery. No matter what. I just want you to talk about it; you had me worried, Zach."

"Sorry," the boy muttered.

"Don't apologize," he replied, as if on autopilot.

"It's a sign of weakness. Y'know, Gibbs I think there's a flaw in that rule. It's also a sign of respect," Zach said.

"I'll reconsider it," Gibbs said, jokingly. "Come on. When we're at home I need to talk to you." They had been walking to the doors leading out of the school, but Zach stopped, making Gibbs turn around to face him.

"What?"

"More talk? Like, about feelings? We talked enough for a month!" Gibbs chuckled at Zach's revolted face.

"Not about feelings. About school."

"Oh. Okay." They resumed walking again. "You had me worried there." Gibbs couldn't help but smile at his words.


When they got home, Zach did his usual routine of bag-dropping and shoe-removing. He was going to greet Jenny in the living room, except, the room was empty. Gibbs already stood there. They both turned at the sound of a door closing. The two looked at each other, before running towards the sound. Jenny stood in front of her study, ready to go to the living room. She seemed a little guilty.

"How did you get here? Why are you close to the study?" Gibbs asked. Zach was glaring at her.

"On my feet and because I was just in there," Jenny said simply, standing straight.

"I knew it! I had a feeling! Some things weren't where I left them," Zach said and then went back to glaring at Jenny. "You were banned."

"Oh, not you too," Jenny said in defeat.

"First of all, you're not supposed to be walking and I remember prohibiting you to the study. What were you doing in there?"

"None of your business, Jethro," Jenny snapped at him. Zach turned to Gibbs.

"I think she deserves a time-out," Zach said and Gibbs nodded. Jenny's eyes went wide.

"I'm not four!" she said. She had no intention of getting a time-out.

"Well, when you don't follow rules and act like one, you'll be punished like one," Zach said triumphantly, proud at himself for coming up with that.

"He has a point," Gibbs said.

"You can't be serious."

"How long do you think?" Gibbs asked, turning to Zach.

"I don't know. Twenty minutes?"

"Remember, she's always trying to walk," Gibbs reminded Zach.

"You're right. Thirty." Zach's eyes lit up and an evil grin made its way onto his face. "In her bedroom!"

"Very good Zach." And before Jenny could comprehend what they had decided, she was off her feet. Gibbs slung her over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes. She let out an 'oomph'. She heard Zach giggle. She faintly registered Gibbs walking up the stairs. She was facing Gibbs' butt and smiled. At least that was a plus. But then she heard Gibbs chuckle and Zach laugh and she was reminded of her position.

"Leroy Jethro Gibbs!"

"Jennifer Victoria Shepard!" Gibbs said back in the same tone, making Zach snort from behind her. Or was it in front of her? She knew Zach was behind Gibbs. She was about to start muttering obscenities, when she was promptly dropped on her bed. Zach and Gibbs were out of her room in a flash, like bats out of hell. Her door slammed shut and heard a lock click. She huffed indignantly.


Zach sat down against Jenny's closed bedroom door. Gibbs took his example and sat down next to him.

"She's gonna kill us," Zach commented.

"Probably."

"You wanted to talk about school?"

"Is school too easy for you, Zach?" Gibbs asked. The boy turned to him, nodding.

"Yes. It's way easy."

"What if I told you that you could skip ahead and advance to the second grade?" Gibbs asked carefully.

"Really?! That'd be so great! Why?" Zach asked, looking at Gibbs.

"Because you could, if you want to," Gibbs said simply and had the advantage of seeing Zach's face light up.

"Really?!"

"On one condition." Zach's rigid posture slumped. "No more fighting in school."

"Deal!"

"I'll tell your principal. Then you'd start in December. Now, on another note." Gibbs leaned closer to Zach. "What do you want for your birthday?" The smile on the boy's face grew at the reminder, but then it faltered.

"I don't know what I want."

"You don't know what you want?" he asked surprised. "No new iPod, way too expensive sneakers, trip to Disney World—." Zach interrupted.

"Jenny can't go to Disney World, she's on bed rest," Zach said, making Gibbs hold back a smile.

"We could go," Gibbs suggested and mentally slapped himself when he himself cringed. Not a good idea.

"You and me? Disney World? No way." Apparently Zach agreed. "But if Jenny's there..." he trailed off, leaving room for Gibbs to agree. He was not disappointed.

"Well, she's not on bed rest forever, Zach." Gibbs smiled. "But the question is if you wantto go to Disney World."

"Nah, maybe some other time. The new iPod did sound tempting," Zach said, feigning casual, making Gibbs smile.

Gibbs cell phone rang and he picked it up.

"Yeah, Gibbs."

"Hey, Gibbs we have something. That doctor we're looking for lives with her partner. A Navy Lieutenant Kingston," McGee said.

"Alright, good work, McGee. Now find me that couple."

"Gibbs, you realize they're both women, right?" Tony said, also over the phone. Gibbs figured he was on loudspeaker.

"Yes, DiNozzo. Find both!" Gibbs said and snapped his phone shut. He leaned back against the door next to Zach, and then the name registered.