Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of Code of Honor
Stats:
Published:
2009-01-22
Completed:
2011-09-29
Words:
30,877
Chapters:
12/12
Comments:
2
Kudos:
33
Bookmarks:
8
Hits:
1,241

Code of Honor

Chapter 10: Sacred

Chapter Text

"Hey, Gibbs we have something. That doctor we're looking for lives with her partner. A Navy Lieutenant Kingston," McGee said.

"Alright, good work, McGee. Now find me that couple."

"Gibbs, you realize they're both women, right?" Tony said, also over the phone. Gibbs figured he was on loudspeaker.

"Yes, DiNozzo. Find both!" Gibbs said and snapped his phone shut. He leaned back against the door next to Zach, and then the name registered.


"Zach, that boy you shared a room with, the eight year old—.

"Dean Kingston."

"What's his mom's name?" Gibbs inquired.

"Which mom? He has two. I only know one name, Hallie Kingston. She was the only one who was there the days I was locked up."

"You weren't locked up. And do you know why his other mom wasn't there?"

"Hallie said something about a friend in trouble." Zach shrugged. "Why?"

"Nothing, just wondering," Gibbs said casually.

"Gibbs..." Zach started, unsure.

"Trust me," Gibbs said and Zach acquiesced, leaning against Gibbs side. "Do you have homework?" He felt Zach nod. "Well, go make it." Zach got up and walked down the stairs. Gibbs smiled and got up. He opened the door and went in. He found her reading a cover-less book. She saw him and looked back at the page. The next thing he knew, the book was flung at his head and it narrowly missed his ducked head, hitting the door with a loud thud. He chuckled and walked over to where she sat on the bed, glaring at him with her arms crossed.

"You missed," he said, and saw the fire in her eyes, which made him smile wider. He crawled onto the bed and she scooted closer to the edge, away from him. He grabbed her and pinned her to him, hearing her huff in defeat.

"Love you," he whispered in her ear, and that finally made her smile. She ducked her head so he wouldn't see it. He started pressing kisses behind her ear. She turned to him and linked her hands behind his head. He pressed his lips against hers, moving in a tender kiss. He slipped his hands under her sweatshirt to simply lay on her warm lower back.

And then the door burst open.

"A party! Oh, sorry," Zach said, turning back to leave.

"Hold on, come back here," Jenny said. Zach spun back around and walked closer to the bed.

"Gibbs, you asked what I wanted. I want a party," Zach declared and of all the things Gibbs thought he would've come up with, this was the lowest on his list. And the one he didn't want Zach to choose, but alas, he did.

"Oh?" she said amusedly, turning to look at Gibbs. She looked at him as if, what did you get yourself into? "What kind of party?"

"A costume party!" Zach seemed excited, so Gibbs didn't grouch, or 'rain on his parade' as Abby had once said.

"On your birthday itself?" The boy nodded.

"On my birthday."

And so time went on, up to Halloween...

"Gibbs! We got to go!" Zach yelled up the stairs. Zach had been ready for an hour, impatiently tapping his foot at Gibbs. Jenny had finally found the silver lining to the accident: she would have to stay home and wait for the trick-or-treaters, instead of going out. Gibbs had grumbled at this, and couldn't produce an argument without sounding hypocritical. Jenny had managed to get Gibbs to wear a costume, and compromised by saying she would wear one, too. So, because of that, she now stood in front of her mirror, applying the last coat of mascara. She had gone all out on her costume, regardless of what Jethro said—"What's it matter? The kids are only here for the candy"—and Zach gladly agreed with her. She was wearing a dark green gala dress that hit the floor. Zach had happily chosen the biggest tiara he could find while they were looking for one, and she was wearing it on her head, her hair loose and falling in curls around her face. She had applied the right amount of make-up and looked breathtaking. It actually took Gibbs breath away when she came out of the bathroom. Only for the moment to be ruined by her laughing.

"Are you laughing at me?" Gibbs growled, eyes narrowed. She clamped her lips together and ardently shook her head, trying to keep the laughter in. "You are."

She decided it was safer not to speak. It was fairly simple, really. Gibbs was dressed as a hippie. Complete with his hair sticking up in places and the peace-sign. She found it very, very hard not to laugh.

"You should go, Zach's waiting," she suggested. Gibbs grumbled low and got up from the bed, straightening out his tye-dye shirt.

"I love you," she said, smiling, looking up at him through her lashes, head bent down slightly.

"Yeah, yeah," he said and turned, and she mock-gasped, pulling him back by his arm. She pulled him hard and he almost crashed against her. She pressed her lips to his, but it was a tender kiss. His hand was behind her neck and the other holding onto her elbow, she held him by his waist. At the sound of a camera going off, they pulled away. Both turned to Zach, who was grinning stupidly at the picture he had just taken. He noticed their stares.

"It was so funny! The princess kissing the hippie." Zach snorted and burst out laughing.

"Do you want to trick or treat?" Gibbs said, and Zach sobered up immediately.

"Yes. Ziva and Tony and Tim and Abby are waiting around the corner," Zach said, and Gibbs' eyes went wide.

"They're going with us? No. I'm changing," Gibbs said, turning to the closet.

"Come on, Gibbs!" Zach whined. Jenny sat down on the bed and Zach plopped down next to her. "You look pretty," Zach murmured, making Jenny smile.

"You don't look too bad yourself, Cupid," Jenny said and nudged Zach, who smiled.

"Leroy Jethro Gibbs! You are staying in the costume!" Jenny demanded, winking at Zach.

"Fine," Gibbs grumbled. "Let's go," he said and nodded to the door. Zach hopped off and almost shot away. "We'll be back," Gibbs said to Jenny, who walked him all the way to the front door.

"Have fun!" She smirked at his defeated face.

"Love you too," he murmured in her ear. "You have fun, too." And then her two boys walked out of sight.

"So, do you have a strategy to this trick-or-treating thing?" Gibbs asked Zach when they were walking down the street.

"Well, sorta. We go block by block until I'm tired," Zach said simply. Gibbs didn't fall for it.

"No, we stop at ten."

"Deal. Oh look, there they are!" Zach took off running, but Gibbs kept his steady pace. He reached the group and took in their attire. Tony was wearing a suit with a red flower pinned to it, something about his whole apparel screamed 'the Godfather,' and it probably was. Tim was wearing blue worn overalls, with a white shirt under it, and a tool belt with a yellow helmet. Abby was dressed in a kimono, and looked like a geisha. Ziva was dressed as, what he assumed was, as basketball player. But he wasn't too sure.

"Hey, boss," Tony said. They all greeted each other, and then Gibbs asked what Ziva was.

"Well, turns out, it's Ziva's first time trick-or-treating! Meaning she had no costume and we had to whip this up." At the word 'this' he motioned to what she was wearing. Ziva pinched him and he squeaked. "You look very nice," he quickly added and Ziva smiled jubilantly.

"So, anyway, let's begin!" Abby said excitedly.

So that's what they did for the following three hours, knocking door-to-door, asking for candy, mainly for Zach and Abby. There was a house where there had been a young couple, who was surprised at the group. "They're my security," Zach had said and the couple was still stunned. "My mom is the Director of an armed federal agency."

"What agency?" the man had asked, as to which Zach answered, "NCIS. It's like FBI for the Navy and Marines." And then he had gotten a load of candy.

There had also been a little old man, who had forgotten all about Halloween, so had insisted on giving the group $100. Gibbs had refused this, but the man forced it upon them, so they reluctantly took it. Finally they made it to Jenny's house.

They knocked loudly.

"TRICK-OR-TREAT!" they yelled at the door, which swung open, revealing an amused Jenny.

"Hi guys," she said and reached behind her to grab the bowl with all the candy, dropping some in everybody's bag, skipping Gibbs and putting his load in Zach's bag. She winked at Gibbs, who stifled a smile. Tony and Abby noticed and held their bags forward for more, making Jenny roll her eyes. She dropped some extra into Abby, Tony and Zach's bag, and they finally took the hint. Zach would, no matter what, get more candy than them. Zach quickly hugged Jenny, before they moved on to the next house.

"Bye Jenny!" The group walked to the next house. Tony tried to steal some candy from Zach, who slapped his hand away. Tony felt his head go forward as Gibbs head-slapped him, making all the others laugh.

After they had all finished trick-or-treating, Gibbs and Zach walked back to the house. Gibbs' bag was half-filled, and all the candy was intended for Zach.

"What are you gonna do with all the candy?" Gibbs asked.

"My favorites I'll eat. The rest I'll sell." He shrugged.

"How will you sell it?"

"Do you have any idea how many candy-crazy kids there are at my school? After Halloween, a few days after, they start feeling really bad and want candy, and then I sell."

"How much do you sell them?" Zach rifled through the bag and held up a candy covered in red and black wrapping.

"This is the most popular. I sell it at 50 cents a piece." Gibbs eyes went wide.

"Kids pay 50 cents for this tiny piece of candy?"

"Do you have fifty cents for me, Gibbs?" Gibbs shook his head.

"I'll give you at home." Zach slowly took the wrapping off the candy and offered it to Gibbs. He chewed on it, and his face turned to surprise.

"This is good."

"Fifty cents is just right," Zach said. "Do you think Ziva's gonna eat her candy? Do you think she could get Tony to give me his candy?"

"I don't think Ziva's gonna eat her candy. I can get you DiNozzo's candy. Do you want Tim's, too?"

"Nah, let Abby have that," Zach said with a wave of the hand, but then stopped. "Abby will be hyper all week!" Gibbs nodded.

"I think I'll ask McGee for the candy," Gibbs said.

"Good idea. Do you think Jenny has candy left?" They were nearing the house now.

"She might. Maybe she put some aside for you, but I don't think she still has a lot. Did you see how generous she was in giving the candy?"

"You're right." Zach yawned loudly, and Gibbs chose to ignore it.

"So, you're not wearing the same costume for your party, are you?"

"Of course not, Gibbs. All the people have already seen me as Cupid." Gibbs almost rolled his eyes at this.

"Didn't you see my other costume?"

"No. What is it?" Zach motioned for Gibbs to bend down. He whispered into Gibbs' ear, who slowly smiled.

The door opened right when Zach reached for it, and the boy went in, quickly ascending the stairs. Jenny stopped him when he was about to enter.

"Jen," he warned. She smirked. She grabbed his shirt and pulled him to her, her mouth ending up near his ear.

"I like your costume," she said to him, but he pulled back and looked at her, eyebrows raised. "What? I really do!" She huffed and turned to go inside, but he pulled her back against him and placed open-mouthed kisses along her bare shoulder and collarbone. She laughed and fended him off. "Later," she whispered to him.

Zach was trying—and failing—to het his cupid wings off. Jenny chuckled when she saw him and helped the boy. He changed into his pajamas and was about to get in bed, when she stopped him.

"Brush your teeth," Jenny said and Zach walked to the bathroom, doing so. When he was done, he came back into the room and smiled widely, trying to reveal all his pearly whites. Jenny nodded in acknowledgement. The boy crawled into bed, and scooted to snuggle deeper into the covers. He was yawning uncontrollably by now.

"Good night Zach," Jenny said, leaned forward and placed a soft kiss to his forehead. She stood up to leave, and right when she flicked off the night, succumbing them in darkness, he turned and murmured, "Night mommy." Jenny was in the process of opening the door and slipping out, but she froze. Zach groaned, and turned back, shielding himself from the ray of light coming from the hall. Jenny quickly composed herself and slipped out, closing the door softly behind her and leaning against it.

With a shocked expression she walked to her bedroom, Gibbs already getting in bed. At his inquiring gaze, she changed her expression to one that Gibbs had once named blank. She sent a gentle smile his way, before turning to the connecting bathroom. A few minutes later she was out of her costume and in bed. Gibbs pulled her closer and she rested her head in the crook of his neck.

"What's wrong?" he softly asked, his hand stroking her back.

"Nothing's wrong..."

"Well then what happened? You're tense," he said lightly and pressed a kiss to her forehead.

"Zach called me mommy," she said almost inaudibly. She could feel the smile forming on his lips.

"Really?" he whispered, and she nodded. "Well, I think you are." She smiled. He knew she did, and he decided to throw precaution into the wind and go ahead to say what's been bugging him for a while now. "Do you think you want to start over?" The smile slipped from her face when she realized what he meant. "From scratch," he said, and that made her chuckle.

"It's not an art project Jethro!" He grinned.

"I know."

"You're asking if I want one with you?"

"Well, you running off and having a family with someone else is not exactly what I picture." She chuckled and slapped his arm, which was softly stroking her back. He tried to conceal a grin, until her next words.

"Well what do you picture?" He knew that if they were having this discussion somewhere not in bed, her arms would be crossed. She opted for simply raising her eyebrow.

"You." He pressed a kiss to her forehead. "Me." He pressed a kiss to her cheek. "Zach." He pressed a kiss to her other cheek. "And maybe, another kid." This time he kissed her fully on the mouth, and she moaned, linked her arms behind his head and kissed him back. "How do you feel about that?" he asked, millimeters from her lips.

"I'd like that," she said softly, and caressed his face. "I love you."

"I love you too," he replied, before twisting them and pinning her to the bed, kissing her into oblivion.