Actions

Work Header

Slain Among Ice and Fire {Fairy Tail}

Summary:

The truth behind what drives the SaberTooth Guild to be as ruthless and driven as they are has never been clear. Behind the stoney face and heartless actions- lay a Guild of people who's true selves are kept hidden, for sake of pure fear of the Master. The only people who know the truth- are those in the Guild itself, those oppressed and afraid. The only one in the Guild who is not afraid of the Master- or the Lady, is a woman who has no choice but to stay. She can't leave, she can't fight back- her life is property of the Master, and she is powerless against him.

.... But maybe in time, the true SaberTooth will come to be known, the SaberTooth she knows. Brave, loyal... A Family, if they ever could be allowed to be one. Her Family.

But for now, it remains as Her Prison. And it may just be the death of her.

{Story Complete}

Chapter 1: Helping Secrets

Chapter Text

Chapter 1

Helping Secrets

Disclaimer: I do not own Fairy Tail or its characters, only my own OC's and Ideas

.:+:.

Lets talk a bit about Slayer Magic, shall we?

Slayer Magic is as old and as timeless as the world itself is. Its existed as long as there have been ancient beings, as long as there has been life and evil and darkness that needed stopping. There are Dragon Slayers- those given the power and the means to fell those age-old beasts that once held dominion over the world. The true purpose of the Dragon Slayers has faded with the centuries, and is nearly all but unknown what came to pass that created Dragon Slayers in the first place.... But did you know there are also God Slayers?

Now that's a bit of information not very well known among the common people. God Slayers have been lost longer than the Dragon Slayers have, because they're reason for existence has fallen into nothing..... The evil and the turmoil they were created to combat have been missing and gone for centuries now, so they too faded to nothing. The first appearance of a God Slayer in centuries passed, was on that Island Fairy Tail has, Tenrou wasn't it?

Oh yes, it was Zancrow; the Flame God Slayer. It happened almost seven years ago now.... That record of the past isn't all together lost yet, I still hold on to it.

And now, there's another God Slayer in Fiore. Two beings in possession of a Magic and skill lost for so long.... First Zancrow, and now a young girl in the Lamia Scale Guild..... Sherria.... And then there is another, who bears the mark of a Tigers head.....

Three Slayers to show up out of the blue.... That's a sure sign something huge is coming. Slayers have been said to be the warnings of a great evil, as it is their existence to combat darkness. If suddenly there is a Slayer in the world, you can most assuredly assume they live and breath to combat with something cold, and dark, and dangerous.

Even more obscure knowledge that has been lost about the Slayers, is the knowledge of the existence of the Demon and Angel Slayers. Two halves of the same coin, two beings that exist to destroy the opposite evils.... One righteous, the other darkness in itself. Demon, or rather- Devil Slayers, they were lost on the ages of the world in which the Black Wizard reigned free and ruled. Angel Slayers.... They live on, but not seen as they once were.

There's this old Legend I've managed to scrounge up, a passing tale if you will.... Saying that an Angel, Demon, Dragon and God Slayer all wielding the same respective Element would fight for the world in its time of need.

I've been doing my best to keep track, just in the event this Legend somehow holds true..... The day there are four Slayers, all holding the same Element.... That is the day this world ends. It may be hundreds of years before then, it may be in a few months.... It may not even happen in this Plane of Existence. Its all a guessing game.

No one knows hardly anything about Slayers, their Magic, their purpose, and their Origin. It isn't important on most terms, especially if you don't see it that way.

Seeing the things I have, the subtle signs and messages.... I don't think the world is gonna hold out for much longer. And I only say this because I know how important Slayers are to the world, I know why we need them, and I know that great evil will come if things continue on as they are.

We lost too many Slayers seven years ago. If I'm counting right, we lost half the world's Dragon Slayers and one God Slayer that day; Fire, Lightning, Sky and Iron, all these Elements.... Lost in the swirling chasm of the Apocalyptic Dragon's breath.

The world relies upon a sort of internal Balance that the presence of Slayers creates, the world doesn't know about it, no one does. Its not something you 'know', rather its something you feel. But only if you're sensitive enough.

The Balance that Slayers bring to the forces of evil and good in the world was tipped dangerously when they disappeared. Things may not seem to have started to deteriorate here in Fiore, but they have.... I've seen it, I've felt it... I'm living it.

Evil is rising- great, cold, powerful darkness, we need those four Dragon Slayers back. Without them, evil will rise and those left may not be able to win. We may fall.

Zancrow is dead, the world is down a Slayer- and a God Slayer no less. Such a rare thing..

Although the others- the Dragon Slayers from Fairy Tail are lost, have been for seven years now, they are still alive.... I know they are still alive. I can feel it.

They need to come back, if not for the Balance of the World, or to help with whatever darkness rears its head in the future... but because why leave them lost, when they could be found?

No one deserves to stay trapped... no one.

My plan is to try and help find them, but that may be difficult.... I can't get involved directly. My assistance cannot be direct.... I have to be careful..... Master will like it very much if I leave........ Nor what I plan to do.

But you know what? Fuck It.

Master can burn in hell, he doesn't deserve to lead this Guild. He can punish me when I come back however he wishes, it won't bother me. This is something I must do, if they don't come back... I'm afraid of what the future will hold.

Let Master be angry.... The Balance of this world means more than his anger, or disapproval.


 

Wind pushed the waves back and forth relentlessly into the docks of Hargeon Port- lapping at ships and the wooden supports lazily, birds flew overhead, carried gently on the breeze, nothing more than white specks against a clear blue sky. The town was bustling under the light of the afternoon sun, traders and fisherman, travelers and citizens talking amongst themselves, conversation floating on the air softly.

Atop of the hill rising above the heights of Hargeon, on the higher most building gazing out across the vast port town and its bustling commerce, a figure cloaked in black stood atop the shingles. They were tall, slim, and completely motionless.

They stood facing the ocean, their warm dark blue gaze resting upon the ship waiting in harbor, with a band of people preparing to leave. The flag of the once strongest Guild was flitting in the wind atop the ship, its glory long passed. Even the members of the Guild preparing to shove off did not hold the same feeling of respect they once had.... Now they were a defeated, weak congregation of people looking somber, not all together hopeful as she had expected.

The figure shifted slightly, letting out a small exasperated sigh, slowing pulling down her hood to let the overhead sunlight bathe her. Her hair of short medium length and cut choppy, with a single strand of it near the front braided with multicolored beads woven into it. Her hair shone like a brand of pale fire in the sun, being orange that slowly faded to red then pink, before falling away to black near the ends. She was lean, seemingly thin but she seemed strong despite her appearance- with a slightly small bust and long legs, wearing a pair of black leather shorts with a leather shirt with numerous buckles across her stomach, sprouting a peculiar design imprinted into the leather. In each ear were three small gauges, one red, one black, and the other icy blue. Black combat boots reached up to her knees, and a belt hung loosely about her waste with several different pouches attached to it. A scar ran along her upper right shoulder all the way down her arm to end at her wrist.

She crossed her arms over her chest, gazing toward the Mages with a frown upon her face, she had expected more enthusiasm from them this morning. Considering, they were well on their way to travel out to where Tenrou Island used to sit.... And where she guessed it still remained. Where she felt it remained alive and well... With those Mages lost to the world seven years ago in the cold, dark embrace of Apocalyptic fire. She shuddered slightly at the thought of great black wings dancing on the edge of her mind.

The hopeful and excited group she had expected to be boarding the ship toward the Island- was silent, tense, and somber... Even from her perch she could tell that they were not at all hopeful nor excited for their voyage.... She growled a little under her breath.

She had believed when she sent the information to Hibiki just a week ago or so- that there were spikes of Ethernano and Magic dancing about that part of the sea Tenrou sat in, and when he in turn along with his fellows passed it along to Fairy Tail, that they would be happier than this. Hell, they should be thrilled, nearly even ecstatic.... She supposed they had right to doubt, perhaps they had a hard time believing there could be such good fortune- this sort of miracle after the hardships she knew they must have faced these last seven years.... But holding on to hope, she had expected them to do that at least.

She had hope, she was sure that they lived... They were alive, and she held on to that more dearly than Fairy Tail itself did. Perhaps that was because she knew the stakes of losing those four Dragon Slayers forever.

"If you don't hope for a good report," she sighed softly, her dark blue eyes never leaving the ship. "How can you expect the world to let you have one?" She stayed watching the group in silence for a few moments longer, before, with a shake of her head she turned away from the expanse of water. Her attention turned toward the north, and she blinked, eyes narrowed.

"... I wonder if they noticed I left?" She said softly, nearly wispily, as she began to walk across the roof away from the ship she had previously been watching. A small cold sense of dread started seeping into her heart at the thought,

I did what I needed.

She halted, eyes growing wider as her attention focused not on her thoughts- but on the world around her instead. The slight breeze suddenly died over Hargeon, the birds chatter ceased, and even the buzz of the town fell away. The air was still, and she closed her eyes- feeling as if time itself seemed to fall into nothing.... And she sensed something new instead, felt eyes on her back where they shouldn't have been. The stranger's eyes flashed, the blue giving way to something different- but so quickly it couldn't be told what.

"Who are you?" A small, calm voice asked from behind her and she turned slowly, eyes fixing upon the figure of a girl, shimmering slightly gold with long pale blonde hair, and green eyes. She was young, outwardly- though in the back of her mind she could feel the age the girl held.... The power, perhaps even the wisdom. And she knew immediately this was no regular girl standing behind her, she felt it on instinct.

The girl faltered slightly as the other's eyes landed on her, looking rather shocked and taken aback as if she hadn't been expecting to be heard at all-

"How is it that you can see me?" The girl asked her second question slowly, her tone cautious and wary. The other simply gazed back at her calmly, shifting slightly to face her, and turn her back on the north again. "I have noticed you before, watching my Guild.... Waiting........... Helping.." She paused. "Who are you, a stranger? To help a group of people who you owe nothing to?"

The other blinked, running a hand through her hair as she gazed at the smaller girl steadily, in her eyes a swath of emotion that couldn't begin to be placed suddenly flickered in the deep blue depths.

"Its not your guild personally I've been trying to benefit." She answered softly, "Its a more broad target I've been doing this for..... A greater good if you will." She murmured and the Girl narrowed her eyes, looking skeptical. "On the note as to why I can see you, I'm not necessarily an ordinary human.... My senses are rather.... Sensitive, I suppose."

"... But who are you? What greater purpose would you have to do this?" The girl went on, her green gaze never wavering. "To sacrifice time to help to find those lost? To push those remaining in the right direction? Surely it isn't selflessness? No one has cared nor given thought to my Guild in seven long years... No one has done anything to try and ease their pain and sadness, no one at all. And yet... You're doing just that."

"Hmm... Its complicated I suppose." The other replied easily. "Personally, I think the world needs those Wizards back. Because I think something big is coming.... And personally..." She trailed off slightly, her blue eyes falling closed.

".... Pain and suffering, grief... Those are things that should only be endured for so long. I wouldn't wish what those remaining in your Guild have gone through on anyone. The heartbreak and the humiliation and the dwindling faith alone...." Her jaw clenched slightly, before she smiled just a little, shrugging her shoulders. "... I guess I'm just a big softie, but I can't help it." Her blue gaze settled on the other, who looked back at her with a look of slight surprise and near.... Wonder.

"Now.... I would prefer to leave this small discussion at that, if its all the same to you. I've done what I meant to... Now I have my own troubles to deal with." She murmured, waving a hand as she turned and began to walk away. "Don't you have a Guild to 'resurrect'?" She called over her shoulder lightly, smirking just a little.

"... Wait!" The girl called quickly, just as the other was about to step from the edge of the roof. She glanced back, blinking. "You never told me who you are." She pointed out, and the other smiled, looking away again.

"... Just a concerned bystander."

Without another word, she stepped off the edge of the roof without a second glance back, as the breeze blew again, and all noise returned to the world. The blonde girl remained where she was for a long while, her green eyes wide and slightly taken aback.

A stranger.... Who had been working to find out if those on Tenrou were still alive or not. A stranger concerned with the well being of those who had been lost for years.... And so invested, she worked to bring those remaining in Fairy Tail news and proof they were still there. That Tenrou was still there.... But for what?

... Kindness? Of a stranger, working in secret to provide a helping hand...?

"...how odd." Mavis murmured quietly, before she smiled softly to herself. "Whoever you really are.... Thank you for doing what you can to give the Guild hope again." She silently hoped they would cross paths again someday.


 

"Hora!" (Or-ah) The deep blue gaze of the young woman opened as she slowed to a halt, head tilted slightly and expression neutral. She turned around at the easily recognizable voice, in her heart she slowly felt dread creeping in.... Foreboding that grew stronger and stronger the closer she came to 'home'.

From further up the street, two men came running toward her, both looking serious- as she guessed they should be, if she had any clue what was coming next. Citizens split apart to let them through, casting anxious, hateful, and even scared glances at them as they passed- much like they did when she herself walked through the streets. She always felt the cold glares and silent stares of the townspeople, she couldnt get away from it.... It was reputation.

It isn't the sort of reputation anyone should have... Ever.... Damn this Guid. Damn that man.

Of the two men coming toward her, one was a poker-faced man with black hair and red eyes, while his companion had pale blonde hair and blue eyes, bearing a white mark upon his shoulder in the shape of a large cats head. A similar mark emblazoned in icy blue that she had on her right shoulder blade, though it wasn't visible at the moment.

Neither of them looked particularly happy, though she had expected that upon returning. She expected a lot more than unhappiness..... Again, damn that man. Her teeth gritted at the thought, the sense of forebodings inside of her suddenly deepening.

I did what was needed...

Behind the two men, flew two cats. One was red, while the other green and sporting a pink frog suit. The two cats flew behind the men closely, they were hardly ever seen without the company of their Partners.... Not only Partners, but best friends.

She sighed silently, waiting patiently as they neared her and the street cleared of people rather fast- the townspeople were wary of what three Wizards of the Guild in town could get up to alone, and they weren't willing to risk anything. Even in their hometown, they were feared.... And she couldn't say she liked such a thing. She hated it... People just.... They didn't know.

"Where the hell have you been?" The blonde one of the two huffed, looking serious. "The Master is furious, he's been demanding for you all morning, Hora." He said seriously, in his eyes she saw worry, and her stomach fell a little.

'Hora', or Horatia as her full name was, simply frowned and huffed a little. Despite the cold growing in her, she was still angry... And stubborn to the end.

I did what I needed to. Nothing would change her mind of that fact...

.... But it also wouldn't help her with what was coming either. She doubted anyone would understand her reasoning. She doubted they would.... Though they may try.

"And what the hell could our almighty 'Master' want from me?" She said, voice full of venom that surprised both men, they sweatdropped at the clear disgust on her face and frowned a little, eyes glinting uncertainly.

"Hora....." The blonde murmured. "You can't speak of the Master like that..." he warned and she only huffed. She could honestly care less.

"You're too smitten with the man." Horatia muttered coldly- her tone much too flinty for how she'd usually speak to them, her eyes glinting in clear irratation. "Or are you scared of him like the rest of the town and the Guild?" She hissed, this made the blonde back off, knowing full well he shouldn't try to argue with her, and a little taken a back how forward she was being with her anger. She was usually more reserved than this...

"What's put you in such a fine mood?" The black-haired one asked in a monotone voice, still trying to replace his poker face manner. He knew it was useless with Horatia, though. She could always see right through him, and she often wondered why he bothered.... But she knew the reason.

Emotion was weakness, as according to the Master. He kept the PokerFace and hid who he truly was because he had to- he had to live up the the standards of the Master like they all did, or there would be severe consequences. They all pretended, and acted differently than they were, or even wanted to.... Because they all were frightened.

We have right to be... But she was nearly done being afraid. At least... For herself.

Hora's blue eyes shifted toward him and she sighed, suddenly regretting the way she was acting. She could tell they were tense, and her attitude wasn't helping any... She hated seeing them worried. She cared for them too much, and she couldn't help herself..... She got them into this. She'd make sure they got out of it... Eventually.

"Nothing," she muttered, shaking her head a little and taking in a breath. "....Nothing that you would understand at any rate.... Sorry for snapping, I didn't mean to." Her eyes fell closed, running a hand down her face in clear exasperation.

They paused a moment, exchanging quick glances, still tense... Still worried.

"Is it..... Something important?" She heard one of them ask hesitantly, recognizing it immediately as Sting's voice.

"Or.... Is it something personal?" Rogue asked softly, nearly gently as of he was afraid he was crossing the line.

She sighed again, her blue gaze settling on them again as she shook her head, "No, its nothing personal." She replied softly. "And at this point... Its nothing important either."

"But where have you been?" The third voice, belonging to the red cat- Lector- asked.

"Fro wonders too." Frosch murmured, raising a paw.

"Hargeon." Hora answered lightly. They blinked at the response, wondering what she would be doing there....? She didn't give them time to ask, it didn't matter anymore... It was done.

"Now, what did Master want?" She asked, keeping the amount of venom in her voice low this time around, but still noticeable. She gestured at them, "You wouldn't be out here looking for me if he wasn't pissed. So what is it?"

They didn't answer for a moment, and she could feel the tension and slight inkling of fear crackling off of them as the sense of dread grew heavy inside her heart. The looks on their faces.. The fear in their eyes, she knew it was bad.

She had known these four for some time now and grown close with them. She knew them all rather well- the true them, not the visage the world saw through the haze of fear and hatred their Guild's reputation had created- and it was rather rare for them to be this silent, despite first appearances. They were a rowdy bunch... Though lately, they were just... Solemn.

"What?" She questioned again, and this time Rogue looked to her slowly. His red eyes gleamed in uncertainty and tenseness that made her heart clench- she saw worry, true worry and concern. Concern for her.

"Master... Is very angry..." The black-haired man said in a low tone and she blinked skeptically, seeing he was hesitating slightly in trying to explain. "He.... Well..."

"The Master believes you have betrayed the Guild."

Horatia whipped around, immediately recognizing the voice and spotting the from of 'SaberTooth's Lady' standing up the street from them. She smiled wickedly at the group, and her heart fell to her stomach. An icy chill fell over her, eyes narrowed and a bead of sweat dripping down her face.

"What...?" Horatia murmured, eyes narrowing even more at the ridiculous accusation.

Betrayed !?

Minerva waved a finger at them, "Tsk.. tsk..." She clicked her tongue, her eyes locked on to Sting and Rogue, "What would Master say if he found out you tried to warn the Traitor?" She asked, they visibly tensed, sweatdroping at the threat.

Horatia took a small step backward, sweatdropping. She recognized the look on Minerva's face, and she was suddenly very afraid- but not for herself. She could tell Minerva wanted nothing more than to hurt someone, and she was afraid she would take that urge out on Rogue and Sting..... Or even Lector and Frosch.

She placed herself between Minerva and the four behind her with a single step, eyes hardening and looking toward Minerva with the calmest expression she could muster at the moment- quite frankly very angry at the ridiculous accusation, and itching to lay into Minerva. She stopped herself though, fighting Minerva would be a death sentence... If the woman didn't kill her, Master most certainly would. And for him it would be all too easy...

"Traitor?" Horatia asked lowly, doing her best to keep her voice from raising in anger, "On what evidence may I ask, My Lady?" She sneered the last words despite her effort not to. She and Minerva had never gotten along, simply because she only saw that very thing she hated in their Master, in his daughter.

Damn that woman.

Minerva raised an eyebrow at the venom for the name, only smirking more because she was being egged on. "We've received warning that you have been helping another Guild." Minerva answered, and despite her effort not to, Horatia stiffened at the truth in the words- she hadn't thought she'd be found out that quickly.

Minerva noticed the subtle action, and smiled more. Behind her, Hora could feel Sting and Rogue's incredulous gazes on her. "As you know very well, SaberTooth helps no one but ourselves- that is law, as stated by our Master." Minerva lift a hand, "SaberTooth is not to bow to the levels of others, We are the strongest Guild!" Horatia tensed considerably, now feeling that she was in true danger- seeing blood lust rise in Minerva's expression. "SaberTooth has no need for Traitors!"

Minerva's Magic wrapped around her body instantly before she could even begin to think about retaliating, the woman's hold on her instantly sending her into a void of darkness for but a split second, and in that split second she felt invisible whips lash out at her back, tearing the skin and clothes, causing her to cry out in pain at the onslaught of burning agony. In a split second she was ripped from her place between Minerva and those four behind her, ripped from her world and into another.

And then she hit the floor of the Guild Hall, just at the feet of the looming figure of the SaberTooth Guild Master, his entire countenance spilling in anger and rage, and dark, malicious intent. All of it, aimed toward her.

Hora struggled to raise her head, her back searing in pain as she lay out, sprawled upon the ground, body trembling from the sheer pain she was in. Inwardly, she hated the low position, knowing it only added to the humility as was being awarded.

Traitor... Traitor..... She wasn't a Traitor, at least not in the normal sense. Yes, she had helped out another Guild, but this was only deemed traitorous because of the ungodly standards set by Master himself- standards Horatia did not agree with in the slightest.

SaberTooth... SaberTooth didn't even deserve to be called a Guild at all. There was nothing good about this damned place, it was awful, it was brutal... Violent. Master Jiemma was a nightmare, his daughter nearly the same... And so encompassed by sheer terror the Members were, terror of Master and Minerva alike... No one had the courage to stand up and stop the madness and sheer brutality in the Guild.

No one outside those in the Guild understood it.... No one knew what SaberTooth really was.

The reputation the Guild had was owed to it because of the things they were forced to do and act like- for fear they be punished by Jiemma or Minerva. The Master and the Lady wanted nothing but power and status, they wanted to rule a Guild that was feared and renowned- and they were prepared to do whatever it took to keep the Guild running in their vision of it. They used brutality and fear to force the Members of the Guild to submit to their laws, their rules, and their standards... They scared everyone into becoming what they weren't. What they didn't want to be.

The Members of SaberTooth, those aside from the Master and his daughter... They were not evil. They were not bad, they weren't ruthless, nor inherently violent or brutal. In all reality, they were good people.... But no one knew it. The world didn't see it, because the Master had made it so everyone believed SaberTooth to be brutal, ruthless, to be feared and to be the strongest. Weaklings couldn't be in his 'perfect' Guild, and those who didn't live to what he wanted.....

They'd end up where she was now.

A part of her had known this was coming. She knew she was bound to suffer consequences when the Master became aware of her helping another Guild... A Guild he thought weak, and maybe it was- though not for long, she knew. She smirked inwardly at the thought... Maybe Fairy Tail had been down in the dumps for years now... But now she knew their strongest Wizards were coming back, and silently hoped that Jiemma would see that in full force....

... she distinctly remembered telling herself to screw Master and his 'laws'. At the time it seemed the best idea, even now she was all for it- stubborn as she was, and so utterly fed up with his tyranny.

Only... she realized how stupid that righteousness and hatred was.... Because for however much she hated this Guild, it's Master, it's rules.... And most of all it's 'Lady', she had no choice but to deal with it. Sure, she may want to rebel, she really wanted to knock Jiemma around, and Minerva too. She wanted to fight, to stand up and finally say hell no. But she couldn't, someone else could... But they were all too scared. She wanted to stand up to that bastard of a man and his bitch daughter.... But she hadn't the power to.

SaberTooth owned her. Or more accurately, he owned her. She was nothing more than a slave to Master Jiemma, and he very well knew it- just as much as she was painfully aware of it.

I can't do a damn thing.