Actions

Work Header

The Devil You Know

Summary:

Team Voltron is back on Earth. The Galra have been beaten back for now. The paladins are doing their part, helping restore the Earth, building human/alien relations and preparing for the next attack that inevitably will come.

But until then Lance is just glad to be back on Earth. To be with his family and finally have solid terra firma underfoot. It is the most peaceful it has been for the paladins in what feels like forever and intends to enjoy it while he can.

Now that things have calmed down though he's started noticing some odd things about their leader. Things he is positive he hadn't noticed about Keith before. Things that were distinctly... Galra.

At first, Lance thinks he's imagining it but eventually it becomes impossible to ignore... and even more impossible to deal with.

Notes:

Beware here there be typos!

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Lance first notices it during training.

 

The Garrison had put together a top of the line training room on par with the one from the castle with help from Coran. There was even a shiny new gladiator to kick their asses. It was hilarious to watch the MFE Fighter team get swept and get a taste of the hell they'd gone through. Kinkade held his own pretty well though so Lance has to give him props.

 

The Garrison was rebuilding, as was the rest of the world and the paladin’s wounds and concussions had healed after their tangle with the mysterious murder robot and the Galra. In fact, right about now the Garrison were preparing to dredge that thing out of the sea.

 

Lance kind of just hoped they’d leave it with the fishes but Allura insisted that it needed to be studied. Lance could tell she was itching to get her hands on it, to figure out where it came from and how it ran. 

 

And she wasn’t wrong. The threat of a future attack was always looming so the paladins and the rest of the Garrison were determined to be prepared.

 

Thus, the training room.

 

“Come on, Keith,” Lance whines, feeling like his arms were going to fall off, Bayard heavy in his hands. Today, it was just Team Voltron in the room, Keith announcing a surprise training session at the crack of dawn. “We’ve been training for like four hours…”

 

“Three hours, 42 minutes,” Pidge says, face down in the smooth Garrison floors. She threw in the towel at least an hour ago despite Keith's nagging. She refused to budge, fatigue and exhaustion rooting her to the floor.

 

Keith frowns, arms folded. “The training is important. We never know when the Galra or Haggar will come back and we need to be ready no matter what.” He snorts. “The Blade trains their recruits far harder than this.”

 

“Yeah but we’re not Galra,” Hunk wheezes, leaning heavily on his blaster (was that safe?). His hair stuck to his temples and his trademark headband had slipped down his forehead over one eye. “We’re just soft squishy humans, man.”

 

“Speak for yourself, Hunk,” Lance says with a sniff. “There is nothing squishy about me.”

 

“Ha!” Pidge laughs into the ground. Lance sticks a tongue out at her even if she can't see it. Rude.

 

“I handled it just fine,” Keith says, stone-faced and stern in a way that reminded Lance of Kolivan. Like he was trying to mimic his mentor.

 

“Yes,” Allura says, putting away her Bayard and looking far better than the rest of them, her skin dewy and not single white hair out of place. That stupidly strong Altean strength and endurance. “But you’re half Galra. Perhaps that grants you more stamina than your fellow humans?”

 

Keith blinks owlishly, brows furrowing as if he hadn’t thought of that.

 

Lance blinks at that too because that hadn’t even crossed his mind either. He just figured Keith was fueled by angst, justice and man pain. Mostly angst. 

 

“No part of him even looks Galra,” Pidge says, picking her face up off the floor, chin resting on the cold metal. Her glasses look a little bent, smushed against her face as brown eyes glare up at Keith in defiance.

 

Allura purses her lips, eyes sparkling in thought. “Well, yes that is a little odd. But we don't know very much about-“

 

“Quit talking about me like I’m a science experiment,” Keith snaps, hitting the blade of his sword (the Bayard one) against the floor with a clang. “We only get time to train once a week. We have to take advantage of that!”

 

“Shiro never pushed us this hard…” Pidge mutters and Lance sucks a breath in through his teeth. Oh shit.

 

Keith goes rigid, expression going blank. There’s a moment of silence where Hunk just freezes like a rabbit in danger and Allura has a hand to her mouth. Pidge only manages to glare for a few seconds more before it seems to dawn on her too and she slides her glare away guiltily.

 

“Fine. That’ll be all for today,” Keith says, voice even but Lance can see the clench of his fingers and the way his shoulders slump. The stern command and confidence he channeled as leader crumbling all at once.

 

“Are you sure?” Hunk asks warily, glancing between Keith and the door.

 

“Yeah.” Keith turns away and walks over to the training floor console. “Dismissed.”

 

They all hesitate for a moment, Pidge in particular, before packing up their things and slowly heading for the door. More often than not they gave Keith room when he got in a funk like this, dragged down by the weight of mantle of leader passed on to him. They tried to avoid those kind of comments… but sometimes they would slip out. The comparisons to Shiro. He’d certainly grown a lot during his time with the Marmora, living on a time whale and junk, but Lance could still see a little bit of that angry teenager, furious and indignant over the decision of the Black Lion.

 

They were big shoes to fill.

 

And it wasn’t like Keith was wrong... The Galra were coming. They did need more training. When Lance lunged at Zethrid back when she was threatening to torture Pidge he was smacked away like a limp ragdoll in just seconds. Kind of embarrassing really.

 

At one point when Lance doubted himself and his position in the team, Keith was there for him in his own awkward way… and Keith was now in a similar position, faced with the daunting task of fulfilling the role as their leader. And he's really trying his best.

 

So, Lance lingers.

 

“What?” Keith growls, not looking away from the console.

 

“Um well… I was thinking…” Lance shuffles, rubbing at his sweaty neck. God his arms hurt. “Maybe I could use some more training… with the sword. And you know… uh since you’re kinda the pro at the sword thing I was just thinking…”

 

“You don’t have to stick around, Lance,” Keith says flatly.

 

“No really!” Lance exclaims. “It could really help me out!”

 

There is a moment where Lance is just staring worriedly at the back of Keith's bare neck, his mullet pulled back (which is a good look actually, 9/10 from Lance). He expects Keith to shut him out and storm off...

 

Keith turns, his eyes guarded but with a glimmer of soft hope that makes a funny bubbly feeling bloom in Lance's chest, like the gentle fizz of soda. Lance beams, suddenly extremely glad he stuck around. Keith's lips twitch upward into something a little less grim and the feeling makes Lance feel lighter than air. He did that. He made Keith smile, even just a little.

 

“Really?” Keith asks.

 

“Yeah! I haven’t had as much practice with it.” He waves his sword around haphazardly, suddenly full of renewed energy. “So… maybe some sparring? The Gladiator just isn’t the same.”

 

“Sure.” And now Keith is grinning and Lance gives a mental fist pump at successfully cheering up Keith... Although the other paladin's grin is more of a sharkish smirk… “Just don’t expect me to go easy on you.”

 

Lance’s arms are already screaming in protest but he just laughs and readies his Bayard. “I can take it,” he scoffs. “Bring it on mullet man!”

 

 

Another hour later Lance wonders if he could just… throw his arms away. They will never be the same with the shuddering aches and pains radiating from shoulder to fingertip. Honestly, they feel like they’ll just pop off.

 

Lance groans and winces as their blades clash again. He’s going to feel this training for a week.

 

Still, he hangs on, parrying away Keith’s blows, swords crashing and glancing off each other. Keith is relentless, pressing forward, purple eyes laser-focused on Lance. He’s managed to fend him off but too late Lance realizes he’s been backed into a wall, shoulder blades bumping into the cold metal behind.

 

“Now what?” Keith says, seriously, sword leveled at Lance. “You’ve let me back you into a corner. Your options are limited because you let me control the flow of the fight.”

 

Lance chuckles breathlessly, face hot. “Well not like I’ve ever been the dominant one.”

 

Keith blinks, thick dark brows going up in surprise.

 

“In a fight!” Lance adds, realizing that might have come out somewhat suggestive. “I-I’m more of a chill, go with the flow go kind of guy ya know?”

 

“R-right,” Keith says, clearing his throat, clearly embarrassed, and Lance blinks as an idea comes over him. A devious idea and he just can’t help himself.

 

He leans in, one finger gently tapping the tip of the blade at his chest and grins Cheshire wide. He flutters his lashes. “But if it was you I’d let you dominate me anytime~”

 

Keith makes a funny choking sound, ears going pink and his grip goes lax...

 

“Ha!” Lance cheers triumphantly, knocking the blade from Keith’s hand. He points his sword at Keith, arms trembling and heart pounding. “How do you like that? Maybe I could just flirt my way ou-”

 

His moment of triumph and gloating is cut short in a flash when a hand grabs him by the collar, knocks his Bayard away and then Lance is splayed on the floor, head spinning and wondering what the hell just happened.

 

Keith just threw him on the floor like he weighed nothing.

 

Lance is about to protest, ask what the hell is wrong with Keith and why can't take a joke when all verbal functions die somewhere in his throat.

 

The red paladin hovers over him, one hand by his head and the other still fisted in his shirt. His thick bangs shade his forehead, the glow of his eyes-

 

Hang on. Lance blinks because he’s pretty sure that Keith’s eyes are actually glowing, like a literal glow stick, the whites of his eyes bleeding yellow and the look is decidedly… primal. It is a familiar pair of eyes but not on Keith.

 

“Don’t,” Keith begins seriously, glaring down at Lance. “Don’t ever do that in a fight. You’ll get yourself killed.”

 

Lance opens his mouth, but he doesn’t know what to say. Does Keith know his eyes can do that? Did everyone know that and Lance just missed that little tidbit of info? He licks his lips and his heart thuds when he sees Keith’s sharp eyes track the sweep of his tongue, like a predator tracking the scurrying of its prey.

 

“I-It was just a joke,” he laughs weakly, finally finding his voice. It's hard to think when Keith has a knee between his legs, the top of his thigh brushing his crotch, and Lance is fascinated by the heated gold eyes, fine lashes and muscled shoulders over him an-

 

“I think that’s enough for today,” Keith says suddenly, dropping Lance’s collar and pulls away, leaving Lance feeling kind of exposed and bare on the floor. “Good job.”

 

“Th-thanks,” Lance says absently, sitting up, heart pounding and stomach fluttering like a net of butterflies.

 

“You okay?”

 

He rubs at the back of his head and looks up at Keith. His eyes are as they usually are, irises dark against the bright whites of his eyes. Human. He isn't looking at Lance though, focusing on the toe of his boot, expression unreadable.

 

“Yeah…” He starts and then glares at Keith. “Must have just hit my head, you jerk! I can’t believe you just…”

 

From there it ends up in one of their usual arguments, the two of them bickering and quipping at each other as they collect their things to head out, squabbling all the way down the hall. 

 

By dinner time, happily enjoying Hunk’s cooking, Lance has totally dismissed what he saw as some weird trick of the light or the rattling his brain took. Or maybe the exhaustion of training.  

 

Because… well, there was no way he actually saw Galra eyes on Keith, right?

 

Right?

 

Chapter 2

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The second time around things are a little harder to dismiss.

 

Lance knew Keith was strong. Always had a little more muscle on him even when he was a lean mean angry teen. Emphasis on angry.

 

And Lance wasn’t kidding when he called Keith taller and grizzled. His shoulders had gotten broader, arms bulkier and just overall looked like he was built a little sturdier. Strong. He wasn’t Shiro levels of beefcake or anything. But it was still noticeable. At least to Lance… not that he spent any significant amount of time watching Keith. Totally didn’t note the way his old shirts fit a little snugger across the chest or pulled a little tighter around the sleeves.

 

It showed especially during training. Or rather was felt. Lance’s arms were still aching from the strength of Keith’s blows during that sparring session from hell.

 

None of those changes were odd though. Keith had aged two years (was it two years? Thinking about it made Lance’s head hurt) and roughed it out in the wilderness. Anyone would be taller and a little more grizzled after that.

 

But Lance didn’t realize exactly how strong until a week after their training session.

 

“Ok…” he mutters, sweeping the scope across the field as he tries to find his vanishing target. “Where did you go lizard man?“

 

“Visuals, Lance!” James barks from below through his communicator. “Where is he?”

 

Lance grits his teeth. “Hang on!” A catches a flash of green in his crosshairs and spots the spotted lizard alien climbing the outside of the hideout. “James! On your six! Climbing the wall! Nadia you’ve got another on your ri- uh… left!”

 

His hearts pounds heavily in his chest from his perch. It had been some time since one of these missions and still his nerves get to him. He never lets it show, never lets it affect his ability to pull the trigger on his rifle but if someone were to put their ear to the ground next to him right now they could probably hear his heart thudding against it.

 

The Garrison had gotten an anonymous tip that some shifty-looking figures had made camp in an abandoned Galra base just outside the city. No one could say who or what they were but there had been some mention of smuggled weapons. The base appeared to just be a shell, no power or anything, but Shiro asked a few of them to go and check it out. Just to be safe.

 

So that was how Lance ended up on the roof of a hollowed out building, propped up on his elbows, watching James, Nadia and Keith’s backs through his scope as they fought off a band of smugglers, wielding some truly insane weapons.

 

“On your six, Samurai,” Lance says, pulling the trigger and hitting an alien behind Keith in the thigh. The alien dropped his blaster and went down. Lance had his Bayard on nonlethal but that leg would be smarting for a while.

 

“Thanks... Sharpshooter,” Keith grunts, parrying away another attacker and disarming him. Watching Keith fight was nothing short of hypnotic, his already smooth fighting style having transformed into something powerful and sinuous after his time with the Marmora. It was like watching a panther take down its prey, dual swords as his claws. Good thing he was only using the backs of his blades or these guys would be ribbons.

 

“You guys are adorable,” Nadia laughs, voice crackling. “You got any other cute nicknames for each other?”

 

“Oh, yeah. I’ve got loads-” Lance spots someone skittering away, hits him in the butt, and swings back to Keith. “Mullet, Texas, Grumpy Pants McGee…”

 

“Lance,” Keith says sharply and Lance has to stifle a giggle. He feels his heart calm a bit, the banter here familiar even with Nadia and James.

 

“Well, they’re all accurate,” James says. Lance looks to see him tying down a group of smugglers. They’d be taken to the Garrison for questioning and all their weapons confiscated. Pidge was already up to her ears in work but she’d probably be giddier than hell to get her hands on these babies.

 

"Can I call you Grumpy Pants from now on?" Nadia teases, dodging the furious swipes of what looks like a weasel with four arms. 

 

“No, you can't,” Keith grumps.

 

"Oh, so Lance is special huh?" 

 

"You bet your ass I am," Lance says smugly. Keith doesn't give that a response, busy cuffing another smuggler.  

 

It isn’t their usual team, the rest of the paladins far too busy with their own things, but they work surprisingly well together and make quick work of it, rounding up all the smugglers and securing them. Lance sighs in relief, happy that things had gone so easily.

 

But of course, just as he thinks that, the universe has to be a bitch about it. He spots something charging from the gutted hideout. Something big and… oh shit. And headed right for James. Lance is quick but even with two quick shots into the bulk of the alien, it doesn't even flinch. 

 

“Ja-”

 

Before he can even get the warning out Keith is suddenly there, sliding between the thing and James, stance wide and arms out. Lance’s heart stops.

 

“Keith!”

 

It hits the other paladin with the force of a charging rhino and Lance feels his stomach flip and his body runs cold at the sight.

 

But then he realizes that this big alien, big enough to rival Zethrid or Kolivan, hasn’t steamrolled the smaller paladin. Instead, Keith is hand to hand with the thing, meeting a beast three times his size head-on. And actually holding him back. Lance can see the effort it takes to hold the bigger alien, Keith’s arms trembling as if they’ll give out any moment. He can hear his ragged breathing and grunting through his communicator.

 

“Nadia!” Lance shouts into his helmet.

 

“Hang on!” Nadia replies. He’s pretty certain she’s already running to Keith’s position but Lance refuses to take his eyes off Keith to check-

 

Lance blinks. The other paladin is in his Marmora outfit, the hood fallen back and face mask gone to reveal the mess of black hair and his face. He has a good view from up here and… He blinks his eyes a few more times in disbelief, certain his lens must be malfunctioning somehow. Or he’s imagining things. Or both.

 

Because there is no way this is happening again.

 

Keith’s eyes are yellow. That bright golden glow obvious even in the harsh desert sun. They glitter fiercely and Lance can see them change through his lens, gold flooding the whites like ink bleeding across paper. Keith’s dark brows are furrowed, his teeth clenched, and suddenly it's like a switch is flipped in him.

 

Impossibly , Keith starts pushing back. Lance’s mouth falls open. The hulking alien seems startled by that too, its feet slipping against the ground for purchase as Keith step by step shoves him back from James, who appears to have lost movement in his legs.

 

“Incoming!” Nadia appears from above, leaping off a rock and landing on the alien's shoulders. Armed with a pair of high voltage stunners on her knuckles (bless Pidge that little evil genius) she rams both fists into either side of its bulbous head. Lance closes his mouth and cranks up the rifle power, firing at its left leg. It rears back, pitching Nadia off, but it's enough. A weird sound rumbles through the communicator and Lance watches as Keith snaps a fist into the alien’s chest.

 

Lance swears he hears something like a crack, even from here.

 

Everything is utterly still for a moment, silent save for Keith’s ragged breathing and the rampant pounding of Lance’s heart in his ears. Then the alien shudders, eyes rolling back, and crumples.

 

He sees Nadia stand, picking up her glasses and wiping dirt off on her suit. “Wow,” she says finally, pushing her glasses back up her nose.

 

“Thanks, Nadia,” Keith wheezes, slumping against a rock. Lance jumps slightly as Keith glances up to where he is as if he can stare right at Lance through the scope. “You too..." He gives a crooked grin. "Sharpshooter.”

 

Not a sliver of yellow is to be seen. His eyes are normal. Just like before, it comes and goes so quickly that Lance can’t help but doubt his own eyes… but for some reason, this time, Lance can’t bring himself to wave it off.

 

“Quiznak, Keith, you scared the shit out of me,” he groans into his helmet. "What were you thinking?"  

 

“I handled it. You don’t need to worry about me, Lance,” Keith says, voice deep and hoarse in Lance’s ears. “Can you call it in so we can get these guys picked up?”

 

“Yeah, yeah. I’m on it," Lance mutters. He can and will worry! He had done his fair share of reckless things but Keith was king at jumping headlong into trouble without sparing it a second thought. What if he couldn't have held that thing back? He might have died!

 

Lance sets his Bayard to the side, the scene below now faraway, as the gears in his head spin endlessly.

 

It wasn’t his imagination this time… Right? And if it wasn’t this time… doesn’t that mean it wasn’t last time either?  There on the training room floor, pinned by those wild yellow eyes… that actually happened. 

 

And that show of strength… it occurs to Lance that Keith was maybe using a fraction of his strength in the training room against him. With that kind of strength, he could probably easily lift Lance over his head. With one hand. Or maybe one finger.

 

He presses his lips together, cheeks warm at the thought. Then that means…

 

Lance shakes his head as he calls it in.

 

No. It couldn’t be. Half alien or not he is jumping to waaay too many conclusions here. His mom did say he always had an overactive imagination. As a kid, he was 100% certain his 4th-grade math teacher was a vampire... the evidence at the time was compelling, ok?

 

So, Keith was a little stronger than most humans. Big deal. He knew that. Massive as that alien was maybe it was really light... or really weak. Maybe all that bulk was flab.

 

As for Keith’s eyes… well, clearly his Bayard was acting up. It was a centuries-old piece of magical alien tech after all. Probably had some bugs or whatever. Maybe there was something wrong with the lens. Maybe he could ask Hunk or Pidge to take a look at it... or maybe this would be an Allura problem? 

 

Lance frowns as he waits for Veronica to answer. All of those excuses are lame and half-assed. And he knows it.

 

He just can't shake it. He can still see the way those familiar purple eyes changed into something foreign and well…

 

... Alien. 

 

Notes:

After season 8 I wasn't sure if I should continue working on this but in the end I'm still Klance and Galra Keith garbage, neither of which season 8 had enough of so I'm back on my bullshit.

Chapter 3

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

About a week later is when things finally start adding up.

 

A fleet of Cheechinians arrives at the crack of dawn, seeking the safety and protection of Earth from the Galra. They’re elf looking aliens with big bug eyes and only about knee height. Coran said they rarely interact with others outside their solar system but they’re friendly little dudes.

 

They bring intricately decorated baskets of… fruits (nuts maybe?) laying them at Lance’s feet when they arrive in the already crowded Garrison hangar. Lance had been the only paladin available to greet their arrival with Coran and Iverson and gives the mustachioed Altean a questioning look.

 

“Cheechin nuts! A rare delicacy. They’re for all the paladins of Voltron,” Coran whispers, translating to their chirps and purrs. “Not just you.”

 

“Oh. Yeah… of course.” Lance clears his throat and gives his trademark charming smile at the little aliens and thanks them. They titter happily, a few giggling at each other. Coran and a few Garrison officers lead them out to get them settled.

 

Left alone, Lance yawns and shrugs as he carries the basket up to the large lounge room on their floor. To keep the paladins close to the going ons at the Garrison and Voltron they were given living quarters usually reserved for high ranking commanders. The top brass. They have an entire floor of what was basically apartments. Bedroom. Kitchen. An actual bathtub instead of showers. By the Garrison's standards, it was downright posh.

 

Much nicer than the dinky cadet dorms Lance remembered anyway.

 

He leaves the baskets of nuts on the table in the shared lounge, plucks a handful for himself (they’re sweet like condensed milk and burst thickly on his tongue) and then scurries away to change out of his paladin suit.

 

When he wanders back, changed into the god awful cadet uniforms (who thought burnt orange was a good look?!) he noticed that someone else had come by and snagged a few too.

 

Lance doesn’t think much about it at the time and heads off to breakfast.

 

Why would he worry about it?

 

***

 

“Has anyone seen Keith?”

 

Everyone (sans Keith obviously) looks up as Allura enters the room.

 

“Running late?” Pidge offers from face down on the table. These weekly paladins were important to keep tabs on everyone’s projects and do a quick debrief on the progress of rebuilding. Every week the green paladin’s head has progressively dipped lower and lower to the table and now she doesn’t even bother lifting it anymore. Her eyes are packed with bags, lids drooping behind her glasses.

 

They’re all roughly in similar condition. Allura looks about the same, her bright rainbow eyes glassy with exhaustion and her little cheeks marks looking duller than usual. Her usually pristine white hair was making a break from their bun, little cloudy wisps snaking out. Hunk's eyes keep slipping shut and his head bobs with the weight of sleep pulling on him.

 

Allura purses her lips. “As the head of Voltron, Keith is supposed to be running these meetings.”

 

“Just give him a few more minutes, princess,” Hunk yawns.

 

So they do. They wait almost ten minutes and still their fearless leader is a no show.

 

“We do not have time for this,” Allura sighs. “I have so many things I need to get back to and I need to do a breakdown of Altean alchemy for the Garrison scientists-“

 

“I need to back to working on the ATLAS environmental controls,” Hunk says from Lance’s left.

 

Pidge groans. “What if we just start without him?”

 

“We can’t,” Lance insists, standing. “He probably has some important Mamora stuff he’s trying to finish up with. I’ll go see if I can find him.”

 

Not like he has any pressing important things he needs to work on after all.

 

As he walks around the Garrison halls he asks a few people if they’ve seen Keith. All of them answer about the same. Kogane? Nope. Dunno. Haven’t seen him. Saw his teleporting alien dog; stole my ham sandwich.

 

Not even Axca has seen him since early this morning.

 

“He had looked a little odd though,” she points out when Lance manages to flag her down in the hall. He still found her somewhat intimidating and he tries not to cringe under her gaze. “He wasn’t in usual form during our morning sparring session. Seemed off.”

 

“Off… how?” Concern prickles at the edge of his mind.

 

“I don’t know,” she shrugs. “He just didn’t put up as much of a fight.”

 

Lance hums in thought and continues looking. Only when Lance has headed up to the living quarters does he think about asking Axca if she noticed anything else about Keith. Particularly, anything... Galra like.

 

Ah well. It was more important he finds Keith right now.

 

“Keith?” Lance calls, knocking loudly on the other paladin's door. “Are ya there? You’re missing the paladin meeting and we kinda need you there!”

 

Silence. Not surprising. Keith is hardly ever in his room.

 

Lance huffs and is about to go down and check the training room or gym but… something makes him pause. A hunch. A feeling. Mystical 3rd eye. Whatever you want to call it.

 

And he hears the most horrendous retching since Sylvio ate a week-old fish taco from the gas station taco stand on a dare. The kind of sound where you swear someone was trying to turn themselves inside out.

 

He frantically slaps the doors access panel and rushes in.

 

“Keith?!” He calls out, looking around wildly, practically skidding across the floor. “Where are you?!”

 

His only answer is a cough and retch and well duh… the bathroom.

 

Keith is draped over the toilet, his mop of dark hair hanging over the bowl as he heaves. Lance winces, stomach turning at the sound, but swallows it down and steps over Keith’s legs.

 

“Keith…” he whispers, one hand gently rubbing circles on Keith’s back, just like he’s done for his niece and nephew (and on one occasion for Veronica after her graduation party). Keith just breathes slow and shuddering, as though it is the only thing he can manage to do.     

 

He gives Keith a moment, just sitting the floor with him and trying not to wrinkle his nose at the smell as finally Keith looks at him blearily and blinks. He’s sweaty and pale, his veins lilac through his skin.

 

“What are you doing here?” he croaks.

 

“Oh, you know just stopping by to ask if I can borrow a cup of sugar…” Lance scoffs. “I’m here to check on you of course! You didn’t show up for the meeting.”

 

“Ugh. Shit.” Keith groans, forehead on the seat of the toilet.

 

“I’ll give Allura a call and let her know you’re sick-“

 

“No!” Keith wheezes, taking a moment after his outburst. “Don’t. Just… tell them I’m busy and go back to the meeting. I’ll be down in a sec- urgh.“ More coughing and spluttering.

 

Lance tries not to cringe.

 

“I’m not going anywhere.” He stands and marches over to the room’s intercom and rings Allura’s dataPAD and lets her know to continue the meeting without them. When she asks what is going Lance just tells her that they can’t make it and, bless the princess, she leaves it at that.

 

At least Keith can keep some of his precious pride for now.

 

“How long has this been going on?” Lance says, kneeling back next to Keith.

 

The other paladin licks his lips and glares but Lance gets the feeling it isn’t aimed at him. More like he’s frustrated at himself for being sick. Typical.

 

“This morning,” Keith says finally. “It came out of nowhere. Felt like shit… but... I really do feel a little better now actually.”

 

“Well of course! You have nothing left to throw up!” Lance sighs. “May I?” Lance asks, holding up his hand toward Keith’s forehead.

 

Keith’s eyes narrow and he juts out his jaw stubbornly. “I don't have a fever.”

 

A beat of silence. Lance doesn’t put his hand down and just raises a brow at the flushed man with a cheek pressed to a toilet seat.

 

“Fine,” Keith bites out.

 

“Good boy.” That earns Lance a nasty look but he just places the back of his hand against Keith’s forehead.

 

To his surprise Keith is right. There is no fever. Just a cold clammy sweat. Exactly like the fish taco incident.

 

“Was it something you ate?”

 

“I haven’t eaten anything all day…” Keith makes a face. “Just a handful of the weird fruit from the basket in the lounge.”

 

Lance’s eyes go wide. “The Cheechin Nuts?”

 

“Sure? Whatever they were.”

 

Poison? Could it have been a trap? Lance shakes his head. No. Don’t jump to conclusions like that. Not yet anyway. Maybe they just spoiled on the trip to Earth? 

 

But he ate like twenty of those things this morning and he’s doing just peachy. An anxious feeling prickles along the back of his neck but he ignores it for now.

 

After flushing away what was left of the nuts (ew) and helping the other paladin stumble out from the bathroom (god when did he get so heavy?) he deposits Keith on the couch with an 'oof'.

 

“Hang tight ok?” Lance says, placing a glass of water on the table next to Keith. “I’m gonna head down to the mess hall and see if I can snag something easy for you to eat later. And then you’ll need to get some rest-“

 

He cuts him off. “I don’t need to be babied Lance. Just give me a few minutes and I’ll be fine.” 

 

Lance shoves a pillow behind Keith’s neck and aggressively fluffs it. “I’m sorry what was that? I couldn’t hear you over the sound of you puking out your guts still ringing in my ears.”

 

Keith and his stupid pride. Why couldn’t he just relax and let Lance take care of something for once? Did he not trust Lance enough? Did he think Lance couldn’t handle this?

 

“Ok, look, right now I’m the only one that knows you were puking over a toilet like a college freshman after a frat party. So I either go to the infirmary and tell the doctors to help or you let me help you and we keep it between us. Your choice.”

 

Keith gives Lance a sour look, both options clearly unappealing. “I can’t just relax Lance. I’m the leader of Voltron. I’m the liaison between the Garrison and Marmora. I can’t take a fucking sick day!”

 

Lance blinks. Ah. So it wasn’t that he didn’t trust Lance. It was that damned leadership complex again, weighing heavily on Keith’s shoulders. So many things were piled on him and he was expected to shoulder it all with the years of experience Shiro and Kolivan had. Except that Keith doesn't have that experience yet. Lance sighs, unfolding his arms. At this rate, Keith would stress and work himself to death.

 

“I get it. You’ve got a lot going on. We all do. And it is a shitty time to be sick. But you’re not gonna be at your best like this. Even Axca noticed this morning.”

 

Keith visibly flinches at that and glowers at Lance, expression twisting into that brooding frustrated look again.

 

“But you can’t shoulder all of this yourself. You don’t have to.” Lance crouches down so he’s eye level with Keith, voice gentle. “Cause I’m here.”

 

Keith’s brows go up in surprise and his sour expression softens.

 

“Red Lion of Voltron?  Your right-hand man? Second in command? Your support and friend in all of this? Any of that ringing any bells?” He hesitates for just a second before laying his hand on Keith’s shoulder. “Let me help ok? I can handle it.” I think. “At least some of your burden. Just tell me what you need done today. I’m here for you… partner.”

 

Keith gets a weird look on his face as he regards Lance. Has he sprouted another head or something?

 

“Partner, huh?” Keith says softly and so mething in that tone makes something feel... funny... in Lance's chest . Like... if a heart could feel nauseous. The other paladin finally wilts into the pillows, tension bleeding out of him. “Fine. You win. I’ll send you a list of things you can do for me today.”

 

Lance tries not the leap for joy. Yes! Score one for Lance! Finally. Maybe he can be of use around here.

 

“Good! Now hang tight. I’m gonna go get some things for you.” He grins. “Just relax, baby.”

 

Keith’s eyes flutter and glares but it has no heat. In fact, if you squint Lance swears there is a little bit of a crooked smile there. “You suck.”

 

Lance just laughs and winks as he skips out the door, thrilled to be able to do this for Keith.

 

***

 

After he brings Keith some broth and pills for his headache and gets the rundown of Keith’s schedule for the day (quiznak that is a long list!) he goes to check the nuts.

 

“Ah, hello.”

 

Lance stops short at the sight of Krolia standing in front of the basket. Oh man, if she finds out her son is sick Keith will go ballistic.

 

“Uh… h-hey,” he says. “What’s… up?”

 

“Several Garrison battle cruisers but I fail to see how that is relevant. In any case…” She glances down at the basket and wrinkles her nose. “Where did these come from?”

 

“Uh… they were a gift. Bunch of Cheechians arrived this morning. I think they’ve gone bad though so I was gonna toss ‘em.”

 

“Hm.”

 

Lance shuffles about awkwardly. He just can’t read Krolia the way he can her son. “Did you... want some?”

 

“No.” She says shortly. “They’re toxic to Galra.”

 

Lance’s mouth falls open as sudden realization tingles across his scalp.

 

“Toxic?” He says leaning forward.

 

Krolia raises a brow at his rapt interest but explains regardless. “They have enzymes that cause illness in us. And we cannot digest them properly." She thinks. "It is not unlike an allergic reaction in you humans.”

 

“Oh. But I had like… twenty…”

 

“Yes, well I suspect you, as a human, would be fine. Now then have you seen Keith? There is something I wish to discuss with him.”

 

As a human. As a human he’s fine. But Keith as mostly human was… not fine?

 

Then again… flashing yellow eyes, inhuman strength… exactly how was Keith mostly human? It was suddenly dawning on Lance that despite Keith’s entirely human appearance that he was still half Galra. Which, of course, he knew that because his seven-foot purple mom was standing in front of him but it never occurred to him how deep it went.

 

Those eyes and that strength (which is starting to feel less like his imagination) were just brief glimpses of the alien in Keith coming to the surface. And now puking up nuts toxic only to Galra.

 

But… why now? Those things weren’t there before right?

 

“Lance?”

 

“Oh,” Lance jumps, realizing he had spaced out. Now really wasn’t the time. “Sorry! Um… I don’t know where Keith is but I can relay any messages to him when I see him.”

 

Krolia looks Lance over for a moment and shakes her head. “It is of a more personal matter but thank you. Let him know I am looking for him.”

 

“S-sure.”

 

The second she’s gone he takes the basket and dunks it into the garbage. Then stomps it down for good measure. He feels just a little bad about doing that to a gift.

 

He stares at the crumpled basket of nuts for a moment, mind spinning, before he snags his dataPAD and gets to work on some of Keith’s duties for the day.

 

He makes a note to find Coran later.

 

Lance needed to do some research.

 

Notes:

Still alive. Lots of things happened so uh... Expect updates to be sporadic. I'm still Klance trash so I'm not going anywhere. Once again typos everywhere.

Chapter 4

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Four meetings, two debriefs, and seven departments that couldn’t be bothered to send their progress reports later... Lance checked off the last thing on Keith’s list; a group debrief on the progress of the Atlas and their eventual trip back up into space in two months. The last trip. The one that would defeat what was left of the Empire and end the war. God what a thought. Lance could scarcely imagine. 

 

The meeting took two hours. Two hours of techies giving updates on even the tiniest of hiccups (who cares if the heater in exactly one room went out if you fixed it in less than ten minutes?!) and officers giving their input or asking questions of Coran and Shiro who led the meeting.

 

Shiro had given Lance a look when he showed up, clearly surprised to see him there. Lance just waved and plopped down in an available chair and tried to look like he belonged here.

 

It was torture but he was determined not to nap through it. Keith was counting on him. He even took notes! Hopefully, the other paladin understood what he had copied down. Because Lance was sure half of this was pointless fluff and the rest was... well literal rocket science. 

 

At least something good came of the meeting.

 

Lance yawns widely as he heads back up to the apartments, clutching tightly at the tiny little chip in his hand. It glowed gently with the telltale power of Altean technology.

 

With any luck, this would shed some light on whatever was going on with Keith. Or confirm that Lance really had left his sanity in space. Whichever.

 

After the meeting, Shiro and Coran had waved him over.

 

“Where is Keith?” Coran had asked. “I had a few things I needed to ask him about during the meeting.”

 

“He uh… got called away suddenly. For Marmora things. Super serious. Important.” That sounded like a proper excuse right? Keith might kill him if he told Shiro of all people that he was sick and puking up alien nuts. Anyone would be embarrassed by that. “So he asked me to come here for him.”

 

“Ah, well that’s fine then,” Coran had said with a nod, brushing at the tip of his mustache. “I’m sure it was something important then.”

 

“Did he say what it was?” Shiro had asked in concern.

 

“I uh didn’t catch it,” Lance said, avoiding Shiro’s look. Sometimes he swore Shiro could just see right through him. He wasn’t sure if it came with his experience as a leader or if it was just… space dad powers. Regardless, he kept his gaze on Coran. “But I’m sure it was super important and he had a good reason because he’s working very hard!”

 

Shiro and Coran had glanced at each other.

 

“We know Lance,” Shiro chuckled, folding his arms and smiling. The new arm is quiet compared to the faint whir and whine of the old mechanical one. Though the floating bit is still… weird. Cool. Badass. But weird.

 

“Ok… just so you know,” he said, mirroring Shiro and folding his arms. “Because I don’t think he knows and he's really been a great leader.” Lance finally looked Shiro in the face, standing a little straighter. Because he needs to really know how far Keith has come. Sometimes it felt like he was the only one who noticed. “He’s fantastic. Amazing. And-” He blinked. Shiro had given him a confused look but Coran was smirking and for some reason that had made Lance flush. Maybe he was laying it on too thick. His tongue had run on without him and he looked away, lips pressed shut in case they decided to run a full marathon. If anything though he wanted to keep going.

 

Thankfully a sudden thought saved him from just awkwardly slinking away on that note. “O-oh right! Coran! I was wondering if you could help me out with something.”

 

“Oh?” Coran said, mustache wiggling in interest. “What can I help you with my boy?”

 

“Well…”

 

Lance rolls the chip between his fingers, the way he’d seen a detective do in an old movie once. A well-practiced move. 

 

An entire encyclopedia on every alien race the Alteans had ever encountered. Which had to be a lot. Personally curated by Coran himself. There had to be some info on the Galra considering how close they used to be with Altea right? 

 

He could have just flat out asked for information on Galra biology but he didn’t want Coran or Shiro raising any eyebrows at the oddly specific question. Thankfully, his explanation seemed to work. He just wanted to learn more about all the aliens coming to Earth! You know... as a responsible protector of the universe.

 

As he walks through the hallway of the paladin living quarters he pauses at Keith’s door, shuffles about for a minute and takes a deep breath.

 

“Keith?” He whispers, poking his head in.

 

Thankfully, there is no puking as answer this time. Instead, he hears soft nasally snores from the bedroom and smiles. He peeks in the bedroom just to be sure but Keith is sleeping soundly, the form beneath the sheets breathing slow and even.

 

Good. He half expected to find Keith doing sit-ups or something. 

 

He checks the other paladin's temperature for good measure, gently brushing his fingers through the soft black fringe on his forehead, and then heads to his room. He had some reading to do.

 

***

 

'The Galra pride themselves on their power and strength as a species. Combined with impressive physical prowess and body taupe it is not difficult to see why they dominate on the battlefield. Galra males can grow to about eight feet tall on ave-'

 

Lance blinks and takes a moment to reread that last sentence. Eight feet on average? Hmm... Well... Yeah, he supposes that sounds about right actually.

 

He sighs. It's already dark outside. He needs to get to bed. The big picture windows of the lounge are pitch black save for the lights of the Garrison hangars and buildings outside. He was going to read in his room but the couch in the living room was laughably small (Pidge sized) and he wanted to get comfy and stretch out without having his legs hang off the edge.

 

And reading in bed is never an option. He’d be asleep in a minute flat.

  

Rubbing at his eyes he sets his reading to the side. It was slow going. The entire thing seemed to be organized in a way that only made sense to Coran (a wild concept honestly) and it took him an entire hour to even find the pages on Galra biology.

 

Then the damned thing had trouble translating the Altean, words sluggishly flickering into English as it tried to integrate with a tiny piece of technology so advanced it might as well be a potato trying to hook up to a supercomputer.

 

He’ll have to ask Pidge if she can upgrade the stupid thing. It kept mistranslating things too. Taupe?

 

Right now he’d only managed to just barely scratch the surface of this thing. And a few things he already knew! Like Galra being massive. Duh.

 

As he stretches out on the length of the couch and yawns he scratches at the exposed skin just above his pajamas. He picks up the tablet again. Maybe he could do a little more reading bef-

 

“Never thought I’d see you reading in your free time. ”

 

“Shit!” He yelps, the tablet flying from his hands. The corner clips his ankle before flipping off the couch cushions and onto the floor.

 

“Quiznak! Don’t scare me like that! Man…” Lance tilts his head back over the arm of the sofa to scowl up at Keith from upside-down. The other paladin’s eyes are tired and the left side of his dark hair sticks straight up in a half-crown of curling cowlicks but there is a little bit of a smirk on his face as he looks down at Lance. Lance bats big blue eyes at him. “Shouldn’t you be resting still?”

 

Keith just kinda keeps staring down at Lance for some reason, dark eyes looking a little faraway and glazed… yet still focused on him. Like a snake entranced by a charmer. Except Keith looks to be entranced by… his exposed neck? The look is so intense Lance almost feels embarrassed. Like he should be wearing a turtleneck to preserve his nonexistent decency.

 

“Nah.” Keith suddenly straightens and rubs at the back of his neck. Lance doesn’t miss the abruptness of the movement but files it in the ‘weird-Keith-things’ folder for later. “I’m feeling better. If anything I’m feeling kind of restless. Thought I heard you in here and figured I would see how today went.”

 

“Psh. Naturally, it went great because I’m great.” Lance says, chest puffed out. “Didn’t show up late to a single thing and I took notes for you.”

 

“You took notes? The guy that did nothing but doodle in class?”

 

“Wha-“ Lance squeaks out in offense, deflating. “How did you- I mean I didn’t doodle! I created art.”

 

Keith rolls his eyes. “Yeah, sure. Well, I hope you didn’t doodle all these notes, Mr. Artist.”

 

Lance snags the tablet off the floor and stands. “There might be… a few in there… I think I captured a particularly handsome likeness of Iverson on page five...”

 

Keith chuckles and Lance echoes it, grinning widely. He loved these silly little moments. Moments where it almost felt like nothing had changed. To anyone else, it would be insignificant and stupid. Giggling over an (ok fine admittedly terrible but funny) doodle of their old instructor. But not to Lance. It made him feel like he and Keith were still teenagers in an interstellar alien castle, fighting side by side and occasionally head to head. Throwing food goo in each other's faces and trying to scale an elevator shaft in their swim trunks. It made Keith feel close. Closer than he's felt in a long time. And that made Lance's heart feel warm and gooey in a way he can’t describe.

 

Or rather he can.

 

He just doesn’t want to.

 

He shouldn't.

 

“I’ll send you the notes tonight. I think I gotta get some sleep.” Lance yawns as he walks up to Keith. “Your schedule is insane. And everyone was all 'ohhh where is Keeeeeii…'” He trails off.

 

He looks up.

 

Keith looks back down, brows furrowed. “What?”

 

Lance blinks. Since when? Since when did Lance have to actively look up at Keith? Since when was he eye level to those pale collar bones? He knew the other paladin had managed to eek by Lance in height during their time in space… but since when was Keith a full head taller?

 

'Galra males can grow to about eight feet tall on average...'

 

He frowns. Well, he sure as hell isn’t eight feet tall… but… he also didn’t use to have super strength and yellow strobe eyes. So maybe it was more accurate to say Keith isn’t eight feet tall… yet?

 

Now there was a scary thought. His grip tightens on the tablet.

 

“You’ve just… gotten… really tall,” Lance fumbles awkwardly. “…is all.” He puts on a petulant pout and folds his arms. “It’s not fair.”

 

Keith’s eyes flutter in some surprise and he glances up and down as if he had only just now realized he’s a few inches away from looming over Lance. Then a smirk spreads across his face, the same one he used to get when he scored more points than Lance during castle target practice, and man if Lance doesn’t want to smack that smug little look right off his face.

 

“I’m going to bed,” he grumps, slapping Keith on his stupid bulky shoulder as he goes.

 

But he doesn’t get far. A hand grips his wrist and a gentle tug has him stumbling back into a (wow, maybe he should hit the gym more too) very solid body.

 

Before Lance’s brain can catch up with what is happening he feels a warmth ruffle the hairs at the crown of his head. A flush prickles hotly through his skull and tingles at the base of his neck as Keith nuzzles a cheek against his head. The tablet nearly slips through his slack fingers at that.

 

“Thanks for today, Lance,” Keith says, almost purrs, softly. “I appreciate it.”

 

If Lance didn’t know better he would say almost reverent. It isn’t a voice he’s ever heard Keith use. The other paladin nuzzles a little harder, like a cat pressing into an open hand. 

 

Then Keith is gone, rushing out the door like the room is on fire and judging from the melty heat in Lance’s bones it might be.

 

Notes:

Wowee actually updating a month later?

Chapter 5

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Lance.”

 

His heart stops. Fuck. Almost. Almost made it out. The blue paladin freezes in the middle of shoving his towel into his bag. Hunk and Pidge pause next to him before hurriedly packing their bags a little faster.

 

Keith narrows his eyes at him. “You stay.”

 

“Good luck, man,” Hunk whispers in sympathy as he slings his bag over a shoulder and scampers out of the training room, hunched over in an attempt to look as small as his frame will allow. As if he fears Keith will call on him like a teacher calling on a student based on how high their hand is raised.

 

“Don’t die,” Pidge hollers right on Hunk’s tail as the doors hiss shut behind her.

 

“You could have at least stayed behind for moral support,” he sighs as Keith steps towards him. “What’s up, Samurai?” he asks louder.

 

“I was about to ask you the same thing, Sharpshooter.”

 

“What do you mean?” Lance can’t bear to look directly at those dark eyes assessing him so closely. Lance was now more aware of the way Keith looks down at him with that height and it makes a funny twisting feeling in his gut that he doesn't like.

 

“Lance.”

 

He sighs and chances a glance up and is surprised to see the other paladin’s look is soft, his arms uncrossed as he regards Lance. He almost looks… concerned?

 

“You were off your game today. You were pinned several times in sparring when you absolutely shouldn’t have been. So I’m just…” Keith scowls, looks away and licks at his lips. “… checking.” He flounders a bit as if the words are hard to come by. “You know… to see if everything is ok?”

 

Lance blinks taken aback.

 

It has been about a week since the nut incident. They’ve both seemed to have reached an unspoken agreement to never speak of it again. Keith to probably save face and Lance to save his ass. Because if he did speak of it ever again he’s pretty sure Keith would kick it. His ass that is. And his ass is too nice for kicking.

 

But that also means not talking about that thank you and Lance just can’t let it go. The strength of Keith's grip... the strange rumbling near purr and nuzzling... He fights a shiver down his spine at the memory. He’s certain, now more than ever, that this is not just his imagination. Something is up with Keith. A weird alien something.  

 

But he hasn’t had time to read more of that damned encyclopedia! The unusual Robeast they had fought four months ago (god it felt just like yesterday he was picking at his bandages in that hospital bed) had finally been dragged up from the sea. Allura and the labs were in chaos, scrambling to get things ready to start their analysis of it.

 

Everyone was swamped.

 

He wipes sweat from his upper lip as he looks up at Keith. Not to mention their leader has refused to drop paladin training for even a single week. 

 

“I’m just… tired,” Lance says finally… which is true. “Got a lot going on you know?”

 

Keith frowns as if he is disappointed in his answer. “Are you sure?” He presses.

 

“Yeah,” he sighs. “You don’t need to worry about me, Keith. I’ll carry my weight.”

 

Keith’s expression sours further. “I’m… I’m not worried about you ‘carrying your weight’, Lance. Shit. I just… I want to help if you have something bothering you.” Lance’s heart stutters at that and... Nope. Nope, no stuttering or fluttering or any of that. Not allowed. 

 

You. It’s you. Lance wants to shout it out loud. His eyes, his height, his strength… all these things that were alien and new are what is bothering him. And the fact that he seems to be the only one bothered. The only one that has noticed. 

 

Every time he glances away, even for just a moment, he’s afraid he’ll look back and Keith will have become something entirely unfamiliar to him.

 

Just how far will these changes go?

 

Has Keith even noticed?

 

“I’m fine. I’m great.” Lance gives a grin and pats Keith on the shoulder. “Honest, buddy. But uh… how about you? How are you feeling?”

 

That nuzzling thing. Did it mean anything to Keith? Did he not realize how strange it was? Had he never seen his eyes flicker and glow? Was there anything else going inside Keith that Lance couldn't see?

 

“… I’m doing fine,” Keith answers, firm in his response. “Why?”

 

“Well… after that ordeal last week…” He gets a sharp look so he trails off but then presses on. “Just wondering if you’ve noticed anything… different.” He fiddles with the edge of his shirt. “Or weird.”

 

Keith hesitates and Lance almost thinks he’s hit on something. Then he shrugs. “Not really.”

 

“I see.” Lance breathes. So Keith really hasn’t noticed the changes. “Well, I’m really ok. Thanks for checking. If there isn’t anything else…”

 

He needs to get back to that encyclopedia as soon as possible. He needs to know more. He turns to pick up his bag, his dataPAD tucked inside. Maybe when he gets back he can-

 

Strong pale fingers close around Lance’s wrist and his heart thuds hard enough to crack a rib.

 

“Would you stay a bit longer?” Keith blurts out in a rush, as though the words spilled from his mouth without permission. His expression is a million shades of embarrassed but he doesn’t take his hand away. In fact, if Lance didn’t know better he swears he feels a thumb ever so slightly brush over the pulse in his wrist. It lights up a million different nerves and feelings in him that he tries to ignore. Keith's just... embracing the leader role is all.

 

“… I want to run you through some basics real quick.” Keith says quieter even as a smirk dances across his lips. “Since you’re so rusty.”

 

“Hey,” Lance pouts at the teasing. “I’m not rusty. I told you I’m just… thinking about... things.” A beat of silence as the warmth against his wrist has something squirm and flicker in him. “But… fine. I’ll show you. In fact…” That familiar competitiveness he always got with Keith flares up, making him lift his head proudly in challenge. It is a feeling he can deal with easier than the other ones he'd been having lately and he clings to it. “… I bet I can knock you flat on your back.”    

 

That lights an answering spark in Keith’s eyes. Fiery. Competitive. Familiar. He may have been more “mature” and a “leader” but that hotheaded fire burned in Keith just as bright as it did as the day he broke into Garrison property to save Shiro and ran Garrison teachers off the road on hoverbike. It had been carefully dampened and tamed with age but Lance found it didn’t take much for him to fan those flames higher.

 

Keith grins crookedly, all big white teeth.

 

“You’re on.”

 

***

 

“Shit!”

 

Lance wheezes as the air is knocked out him for the… fifth time? No, the sixth? Must be the brain damage catching up to him. He gasps as though his lungs are gearing up to just deflate like a flat balloon. 

 

Why does he keep accepting these challenges if it just ends up like this?

 

Keith leans over Lance as he lies splayed on his back.

 

Part of him is getting real tired of getting his ass kicked by Keith like this... swords or no swords. The other part is keenly aware of how Keith could probably break him in two right now if he tried and that makes heat bubble confusingly in his stomach.

 

“Still think you can knock me flat?” Keith grins cheekily, annoyingly smug and giddy about this whole thing like he can’t get enough of Lance on lying prone like this.

 

“Shouldn’t you be encouraging me while you kick my ass?” Lance groans, as he breathes through the rattling his bones have taken. “Like… ‘good effort!’ or ‘you’ll do better next time!’ or ‘I believe in you, Lance! You’re so amazing!’... or at least a sticker?”

 

The other paladin raises a dark brow and squats down next to him. “Do you want me to do all that?”

 

He considers that seriously for a moment and wrinkles his nose. “On second thought no. It would be too weird coming from you.”

 

“… Do you think I should start doing that? You know… with the others?”

 

Lance tilts his head and regards Keith. The other paladin’s expression is uncertain, eyes wide and brows furrowed as if he were suddenly looking back on every decision he’d made in the past and was categorically trying to find every mistake and regret in it.

 

Lance knew that look because he had that look many a time, staring into the bathroom mirror and wondering whether or not everyone would be better off without him here. That road led nowhere quick.

 

“Hey,” Lance says seriously. “Nope. None of that. You’re doing fine. You don’t need to turn into a peppy life coach or whatever for us. What you’re doing now is great. Pidge can actually sweep Hunk’s legs out from under him thanks to you.”

 

Keith’s lips relax at that, a slight smile there. Probably thinking of how the tiny green paladin managed to topple the yellow paladin with just a kick at Hunk's ankles and the look of pure joy at the feat. And Hunk’s look of shock. Lance chuckles.

 

“If only you could catch on as quickly,” Keith replies wryly. Good. If he's in the mood to be teasing Lance then he isn't thinking too hard about unnecessary things.

 

“Oh, is that how you’re gonna be?” Lance grins, fingers twitching on the floor. Keith might think he's easy prey sprawled like this but he's got another thing coming if he thinks the blue paladin will give up without a fight! His arms snap up, quick as a snake, yanking at an unprepared Keith’s t-shirt. Thanking years of yoga and pilates he swings one leg up, catches Keith right in the stomach with his foot. He pushes hard against the hard flat muscle there and rolls back, throwing Keith over his head.

 

“How do you like that for catching on?!” He crows, crawling out of range before Keith could retaliate.

 

Thankfully, Keith just lies sprawled on the ground, apparently stunned, with his shirt yanked up over his face, baring that pale unfairly toned stoma-

 

Immediately, Lance is scrambling back towards Keith on his hands and knees.

 

“Quiznak, did I kick you that hard?!” Lance panics, because there on that stupidly muscled abdomen, just above Keith’s waistband, is what looks like a lurid purple bruise almost the size of Lance’s hand.

 

Lance blinks a few times at it. Though... the more he looks it doesn’t look quite right. Not like a bruise. It was a deep uniform lilac color, like a blot of ink blooming across a white piece of paper…

 

Keith yanks his shirt down and sits up, looking more annoyed than mad.

 

“No,” he says shortly, standing. He presses his fingers where the splotch is. “I’ve had it.”

 

“Where did you get it from?” Lance pushes himself up. “It’s pretty… big.”

 

Keith doesn’t say anything for a moment and Lance wonders if maybe the story is embarrassing. Like running into a doorknob or something.

 

Finally, he just blows a loose tuft of black hair from his face and waves off the question. “Probably just a bruise from sparring with Axca. There are a few of em.”

 

“A… few?”

 

“Yeah. No big deal. Don’t even hurt.” Keith rubs at a spot on his shoulder and Lance wonders if there is another one there, hidden under his sleeve. He clears his throat. “Anyway, let's just end it here. Good throw. Your flexibility is clearly a strong point. You almost had your foot by your head.”

 

“Yeah…” Lance replies absently, trying not to stare at where the shirt covers purpled lilac skin.

 

It really didn’t look like a bruise now that he thinks about it. He had assumed it was at first because that would be the normal explanation but with what was going on with Keith lately was anything but normal.

 

He huffs as he starts to gather his things together slinging his bag over a shoulder and tucking his dataPAD under his arm.

 

Busy or not… sleepy or not… he just had to read tonight.

 

He needed answers.

 

Notes:

When do I get to some of the steamy stuff? Next chapter maybe.

Chapter 6

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Lance only gets maybe an hour a night to read the damn thing but things are slowly starting to add up.

 

There are pages upon pages of info on the Galra. So much so that Lance’s brain spins with all of it but he just can't stop reading.

 

There are complicated sections that go into extreme (almost unnecessary) detail about how the telltale yellow glowing eyes are the result of a chemical filmy layer of some kind that allows them to see better in the pitch black. It makes Lance thinks of the grumpy tomcat that lived in the alley next to his house that would crouch in dark spaces. He would glare at Lance from the shadows with two pinpoints of light every time Lance tried to coax him out with bits of his lunch.

 

He figures Galra eyes work similarly. Which makes sense to Lance considering most of them look like giant purple cats anyway. Unlike cats though their eyes had that strange glowing quality to it. 

 

A quality that Keith has.

 

He’s also started a notebook now. His brain can’t keep track of everything mentally. He writes down a list of odd things he’s noticed about Keith in the last month and tries to connect it to what he learns. He almost feels like a detective as he pieces things together. The eyes. The super-strength. His growth spurt. Allergies. The purple spots. The way he would touch and brush against Lance’s exposed skin and give a strange rumble.

 

That was actually becoming increasingly common since they started sparring one-on-one every week. At Keith’s insistence. At first, Lance was a little offended, taking it to mean that Keith thought he was too weak. That he needed the most work as the weakest link in the team.

 

But now he isn’t so sure.

 

It started subtly. Kinda. The touching of his wrist to get his attention when a simple “hey!” would have done just as well. Or a hand on his shoulder. No big deal though.

 

Then during sparring Keith started to favor grappling. A lot. Grabbing and manhandling Lance to pin him rather than just tossing him or sweeping him as he would normally do. The pin would linger, strong and unyielding, until Lance would try to buck him off before he started getting too interested in what other positions Keith could pin him in.

 

It was getting hard to ignore it.

 

Was there a reason or meaning behind the touching? Were the Galra just naturally touchy-feely? Liked wrecking their opponents in battle? Well... actually Lance feels like he could answer that last one through experience alone but still... 

 

He’d been frantically trying to read as fast as possible or skip through the notes and diagrams to find some kind of reasonable explanation. He had yet to find any and there was simply far too much to go through! Worse, not all of it made sense to a guy who had flunked chemistry and passed biology with a solid C-. 

 

Something else he noticed though is that there was nothing on mixed Galra. And it occurs to him that there wouldn’t be anything on human/Galra children anyway. Keith was the only one that existed.

 

As the week goes by he realizes that he needs to talk to Keith. And soon. He can’t keep all these observations to himself. Lance isn't sure if Keith is aware of any of this yet and that isn’t fair to Keith.

 

Judging from what he’s read some of these potential changes wouldn’t be small.

 

He has to talk to him.

 

But how do you approach someone and tell them: "I think you're turning into a purple cat?"

 

***

 

“Remember the stakeout on that hideout?” Keith says, from the head of the meeting table and Lance prays this paladin meeting is finally winding down so he can pull Keith aside. He'd been fidgeting the whole meeting, trying to think of how to even bring it up.

 

“Yeah,” Pidge replies. “The weapons dealers right? My tech labs took apart some of the stuff they had.” She mouths "boom" and makes exploding movements with her fingers. “Serious firepower on some of those.”

 

Keith frowns, expression grave. “We have a lead on where we might find where some of those weapons were sold." He scowls. "And to who.” 

 

“I take it that it could potentially be a pretty big problem?” Shiro asks on his left.

 

Keith nods. “Potentially. So I’d like to scope it out. Something undercover if possible... Lance.” His eyes flick towards the blue paladin who had already been staring hard at him. Lance jumps so hard the chair legs squeak against the floor.

 

Lance tucks a little strand of brown hair behind his ear and coughs to play it off. “Yeah?”

 

“I want you with me on it.”

 

“Lance?” Pidge snorts with a laugh. “Why Lance? I mean… we do all remember the undercover cocktail party incident on Balthur right?”

 

Lance gives an affronted gasp and glares down at the tiny paladin, arms folded. It wasn’t his fault that he unknowingly flirted with the high ambassador. Since when was offering someone a drink and telling a joke considered a courting ritual? And for the record, the ambassador was totally into his jokes.

 

It just turned out his husband wasn’t.

 

And was also king.

 

Needless to say, that alliance hadn’t panned out well.

 

“Wouldn’t someone from the Blade be a better choice?” Allura suggests politely. “Kolivan or Krolia? No offense to Lance.”

 

“It’s not my fault I'm charming and charismatic!” Lance whines dramatically, slumping into his chair.

 

Keith rolls his eyes at that. “Unfortunately, the Blade, including Krolia and Kolivan, were called away unexpectedly for emergency evacuation of a nearby planet. Besides, there have been some…” Keith hesitates. “… problems with the Blade in the cities.”

 

Lance doesn’t miss the look Keith makes at that and wonders what the means.

 

“Won’t you be recognized?” Hunk asks with a frown. “I mean… we are the paladins of Voltron… our faces have been plastered all over the place. I hear we even have a tv show being made about us!”

 

“A cartoon,” Pidge corrects smugly.

 

“Seriously?” Lance exclaims, turning to Pidge in joy. “When? How do I look? Am I cool? I bet I look cool.”

 

“It won’t be out for another two months but they're already working on a toy dea-“

 

“Can we focus here?” Keith groans, cutting Pidge off. “We won’t have to worry about that. So long as we do it right. Lance? Are you in?”

 

Lance only hesitates for a moment before flashing a smile and thumbs up. It would be just the two of them and they would have enough time to discuss things seriously. And Lance would never say no to alone time with Keith anyway.

 

“I’m in!”

 

***

 

It all goes to shit.

 

Not as bad as it could have been…

 

But still... shit.

 

The place they’re scoping out is a bar. The seedy kind that was cobbled together in the husk of a bombed-out building that somehow managed to stay standing. Lance has no idea what it was before but with hooded figures hiding in shadows and tough scarred looking aliens and humans alike drinking from large glasses at mismatched tables it looks like a location in Monsters & Mana. 

 

It also definitely looks like a place that could be dealing in illegal weapons.

 

He looks around the place as he waits for Keith. It would have been too suspicious to show up together. He tries to be subtle as he looks, pushing his big wire-rimmed glasses up his nose. A fake pair he snagged from Pidge that she wore as part of her disguise in the Garrison before the Holt family’s apparently genetic nearsightedness finally struck.

 

Keith had been skeptical and said he didn't really need them... Silly Keith. Didn't he know that good a disguise always needed a pair of glasses?

 

Besides, if it worked for Pidge and Clark Kent it could work for him. Even if they pinched his nose.

 

Keith had explained that most of the public only knew their official uniforms and shiny paladin helmets better than their actual faces. So if they dressed casually they probably wouldn't be noticed. And no one would expect a defender of the universe and paladin of Voltron to be in a pair of clingy tight jeans and a red shirt that bared his brown shoulders and sharp collarbones right?

 

Well anyone that had ever met the blue paladin would expect it maybe.

 

But Lance may have miscalculated just a bit.

 

“Hey there cutie.”

 

Lance’s head snaps up at the smarmy voice. He’s greeted by an equally smarmy looking face to match. A blue-faced alien that grins like a cat (and reminds Lance a bit of Rolo) smiles down at him. The blue lips stretch into a wider grin, friendly, even as his orange eyes shamelessly flick Lance’s figure up and down. “Does your boyfriend know you’re here alone?”

 

Well shit. Is it the exposed shoulders? Or do the glasses give him a sexy librarian vibe? Curse his good looks.

 

“Depends who is asking,” Lance replies, trying to play it cool until Keith arrives.

 

Unfortunately, the guy takes it as an invitation.

 

“Just someone that wants to get to know a sweet thing like yourself.” The other man slides into the chair opposite Lance. He looks and carries himself like he thinks he could charm the pants off anyone he felt like… even if the answer was no. Lance’s lip curls slightly in disgust. “I think I might be the kind of guy you’re looking for.” He breathes deep. “And you’re the kind of human I like.”

 

“Yeah?” Lance says tersely. “And what kind of human am I?”

 

“Judging from the scent of all over you… I’d say the kinky kind. Is the dick really good enough to be fucking the enemy? I’ve heard the sex is almost bloodthirsty.”

 

Lance blinks. The words zip over his head like a dodgeball way off target. He can scarcely grasp what is being said but he inhales sharply, neck flushing hot.

 

The guy seems to think the blush is a sign to keep going even as Lance’s brain tries to sluggishly churn the information into sense. “… but a Caphalian like me can show you a good time too. Probably better company too. A kinky human like you might like two tent-“

 

“What scent?” Lance demands, cutting him off. The guy pauses and leans back in the seat, assessing.

 

“The one rubbed all over you all course.” He chuckles. “Cute, how oblivious you are. Human noses are hilariously weak, huh? Its faint but any alien with a decent nose can tell a scent mark when we smell one.” His nose wrinkles slightly and his smile looks a bit more like a sneer. “Especially when the pheromones are Galra.”

 

And then realization strikes Lance like two Tesla coils firing off. His mouth falls open slightly and if he weren’t a paladin in a bar of shifty potential unfriendlies he might have jumped up and shouted “eureka!”. The touching and nuzzling… it was scent-marking! Exactly like a cat rubbing against something to mark its territory.

 

And Lance’s head is spinning so hard with the implication of being Keith’s territory that he doesn’t realize that the slimy guy is taking advantage of Lance’s shock to lean in, still talking and his voice dripping with filthy suggestion. His blue hand is reaching up to touch his neck-

 

And then snap.

 

The hand stops just short.

 

And Keith is suddenly looming over the table and Lance realizes that snap was the sound of the guy’s wrist in Keith’s fist, trembling with the same rage that radiates from his expression. His eyes are that frightening glowing yellow and… oh. Quiznak.

 

To the other alien’s credit, he doesn’t scream or anything over his broken bones. He just looks up at Keith in a mix of pained horror and confusion, trying to shrink away. But Keith doesn’t let go, a growl building in his chest.

 

Lance can feel dozens of eyes on them in the bar, a few of them probably itching to see a fight, and he tries to think fast because all Keith seems to care about is staring down this guy until he wilts into the floor.

 

“H-hey babe,” Lance says loud enough for everyone to hear, his voice cracking slightly. “You’re late. I was beginning to think you weren’t going to show.” He gently touches the inside of Keith’s elbow. “My friend here was just leaving.” He looks pointedly at the alien. “Right?”

 

“B-but… your scent is…”

 

“You heard him,” Keith grits lowly, his voice unlike anything Lance has ever heard. He can feel it vibrate right to his bones and he shudders. “Leave.”

 

The guy looks between the two paladins in confusion before Keith allows him to rip his broken hand away. He stands and his look of fear and confusion turns to one of fear and distaste.

 

“Filthy Galra,” he spits venomously.

 

Then he’s fleeing out the door, his courage apparently only holding up for a quick fuck you.

 

Slowly the eyes staring at them look away, hopefully writing it off as a dude trying to defend his partner or something. But even though they’re not being stared at Lance knows that they’ve attracted too much attention and any hope of finding info on those weapons is a bust.

 

“We should go,” he whispers, tugging on Keith’s arm but he doesn’t budge.

 

Lance stands and tugs with a little more urgency that finally has Keith’s feet moving, his murderous expression and yellow eyes fading, giving way to a hazy look of confusion and... fear?

 

He leads Keith out, elbows linked together like a couple. There are a few looks as they go.

 

Neither of them says anything as they make their way back to the Garrison. Lance is trying to figure out what to say and Keith’s face is now unreadable.

 

His stomach turns over. This isn’t how he wanted things to go.

 

When they arrive, standing in front of Keith’s door, Lance finally tries to say something but Keith beats him to it.

 

“Sorry,” Keith blurts out, running a hand through his hair. "I- ruined the stakeout and... that was weird right? I don't know why I did that. I-"

 

"Keith" Lance interrupts gently. The other paladin looks up. Lance bites his lip and fidgets with his hands behind his back. Keith's hands were shaking and his expression was pinched. Lance had wanted to hug him. "I think we should talk."

 

Notes:

I also like possessive Keith.
Tension.

Chapter 7

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Keith's apartment is unsurprisingly minimalist, consisting mostly of the Garrison standard angular furniture all of their rooms have. He hadn't bothered decorating it much. The only things uniquely Keith are some Galra swords and knives hanging up on the wall and a small frame of what might be Keith's dad propped up on the table by the door.

 

Lance sits awkwardly on the couch, leg jittering up and down as Keith takes a seat on the edge of the low coffee table. The shaking of his hands have stopped but he looks as though he’s holding his breath as he stares at his clenched fingers.

 

The silence is suffocating.

 

“Tea?” Lance says suddenly, his grin taut. “Coffee? You’re not even going to offer me a glass of water?”

 

"Lance." 

 

“Sorry,” he says, blue eyes cast down at his failed attempt at breaking the tension. “I’m… just not sure how to start this you know?”

 

Keith is silent, jaw taut. Lance takes a deep breath as he tries to collect his thoughts. He said they needed to talk. So they’re gonna talk. But where in the hell do you start? There is just too much to talk about.

 

He takes another breath for good measure and goes for it. “How are you feeling?”

 

“Fine,” Keith replies tersely. Lance raises a brow though and Keith sighs, slumping a bit. “I’m… frustrated and confused. And pissed at myself for blowing the mission.”

 

“Hey, compared to some of our past missions I'd say that went really well. And you couldn’t have accounted for Don Juan back there. If we’re lucky he’ll have learned his lesson about touching and trying to force a “yes” out of people… Though the broken wrist is-”

 

“I didn’t mean to!” Keith snarls defensively. “I was just trying to…” It’s like he’s fighting with his own words, struggling to make sense of it all. “I was just trying to stop him from touching you. When I saw him reaching for you like that I just… there was nothing else on my mind.” He scrubs a hand through his bangs. “When I gripped his wrist I felt the bone give. Felt it pop and snap under my fingers.” Keith looks like he’s going to be sick from just the thought of it. “I didn’t think I grabbed him that hard.”

 

“You’re pretty strong Keith. You always have been. You had a sumo match with an alien three times your size. And won.”

 

His expression pinches and his brows furrow. A peculiar look of thought and frustration. As though he were putting together a puzzle and didn’t like how it was coming out. 

 

“I know that. But I just figured… adrenaline or some shit.” He stares hard at his hands. “I was strong but I... didn’t use to have that kind of strength.”

 

“But it isn’t like we don’t know where it comes from.”

 

Keith meets Lance in the eyes at that.

 

“Your Galra side,” Lance clarifies lamely. “I’ve noticed some… things. Some very Galra like things about you that I know were not there before.” Lance licks his lips and wishes he did have that glass of water. “Your strength of course. And you’re taller. A lot taller than when we got back to Earth. Overall just… bigger. Totally unfair by the way. Just so you know.”

 

"Being tall doesn't mean... aliens," Keith replies but Lance hears the waver in his voice. It sounds like an automatic response and he wonders if maybe Keith was aware of some of these changes and had an idea of what it might be. Did he tell himself that? Was it just denial? Or something else?

 

“Your eyes change sometimes,” Lance says and that makes Keith's blink in surprise and lean back from him. “I’ve seen it a couple of times now. Yellow. Glowy. Kinda badass actually. Little intimidating. Usually when you’re mad though… And when you were sick… it was those nuts. Galra are allergic to them. And only Galra.”

 

“Wait-“

 

But Lance is one a roll, determined to get a month's worth of observations out. “And you purr sometimes. And growl. Like a cat. Only bigger. And that scent thing Don Juan was talking about. I think you've been scenting me... Also like a cat.”

 

Keith opens his mouth. Closes it. His eyes are wide and his cheeks are pink. Huh, so he wasn’t aware of those little quirks. Maybe it was subconscious. Instinctual, the way many Galra things were, apparently.

 

Abruptly, Keith leans forward and gets right in Lance's face, forcing the blue paladin to lean back into the couch cushions. Keith inhales as Lance holds his breath, unsure of what he should be doing right at this moment. Warmth tingles on his skin as he looks up at the ceiling.

 

"Quiznak," Keith swears, leaning back. "I... can actually smell..." 

 

Lance lets out a breath. “You… probably know where this is going right?”

 

"Yeah…” The other paladin sighs, scrubbing a hand through his hair again. “And I would be lying if I said all of this was a surprise. My clothes haven’t fit right for months and I’ve always been a little… stronger than most. I just thought…” He frowns as though he were groping for the excuses he had used to explain things away only to have them come up short now.

 

“I know.” Lance fidgets on the couch, hands clenched on his knees. “I should have spoken up about it sooner. Before something like today happened. I’m sorry. I just… didn’t know how to bring it up. I thought I was going crazy at first.”

 

Lance didn’t know what to expect from Keith. The other paladin had tackled this dilemma once before, struggling with the reveal of his Galra heritage and unsure of how to deal with it. With the help of the Blade and Kolivan, he seemed to thrive under their education and had made peace with that part of him. Embraced it even.

 

Or at least it seemed that way to Lance. But judging by the look on Keith’s face… now he wasn’t so sure.

 

Lance recounts as many moments and details as he can to Keith who surprisingly just sits there and listens, tight-lipped. How he started noticing things. The information he got from Coran that he'd been looking through. Keith's expression sours further at that.  

 

“Sounds like you’ve done your research,” Keith grits out and that almost sounded accusatory, as if he suspected Lance had some ulterior motive to be watching out for him. He frowns, looking Keith in the eye.

 

“Hey, it isn’t like I was doing it for shits and giggles!” He retorts, throwing his hands up. “I didn’t understand what was going on and I was worried about you! When you got sick… I thought maybe you had been poisoned or something!”

 

Keith blinks and his expression softens slightly as he leans forward, elbows resting on his thighs and chin on his folded hands, deep in thought.

 

“I know,” he says. “Sorry. I know you wouldn’t… It's just the idea of being watched and documented just makes me feel like some kind of lab rat.” 

 

They lapse back into awkward silence.

 

“Can…” Keith starts finally. “Can I get some time to think about this alone?”

 

“Sure,” Lance nods stiffly, wishing they could talk a little more and figure out where to go from here. He wanted to talk about the scent-marking thing and what that meant but Lance isn’t sure if either of them are ready to discuss it. So he sets that hot mess of feelings aside. They aren't as important right now. Keith looks shell shocked but not as bad as Lance thought he might. As though Keith had been watching the bomb slowly fall rather than it hitting him out of nowhere.

 

“Listen, Samurai,” Lance reaches out and holds Keith’s hand. He feels Keith jump under it but Lance has to say this before he goes. “I know this is a lot. So don't go through it alone. Krolia or Kolivan... they might be able to help you better... but if you need or want my help I’m here. You might be more Galra than you thought but you're always Keith, our badass paladin ninja with stupid hair.” That gets an eye roll out of Keith and Lance smiles. “And I’m always your friend. So don’t be afraid to come to me if you need something okay?”

 

“Yeah,” Keith says slowly and he offers Lance a tired smile. His other hand reaches up as if to touch Lance’s face but stops and pulls back when he realized what he was doing. Instead, he shoves his hands in his jacket pockets like he needs to restrain them. “I know. Thanks, Lance.”

 

***

 

“Is Keith okay?”

 

Lance almost inhales his coffee at the question. Pidge peers up at him and raises a brow at him from under the console.

 

“Why do you ask?” Lance says, washing down his the sting in his throat with more coffee.

 

Pidge shrugs. “It just looks like he’s had a lot on his mind the last few days. Distracted... Screwdriver.” She holds out her hand.  "So I wondered if maybe something had happened.”

 

“He’s just had a lot on his mind I think.” Lance passes her the screwdriver as she fiddles with the ATLAS control panel, things dangerously fizzing and sparking down there. The last test had shorted out the internal wiring. He leans heavily against it as he takes his job of Pidge’s toolbox manager very seriously. “He… he’ll be okay.”

 

At least Lance hopes so. It had been a few days since the talk and Keith had very clearly just been going through the motions the last few days. It didn’t stop him from leading and keeping up appearances, but to those that knew him, it was clear that his thoughts were elsewhere as he attended meetings and sparred. Lance even had got the jump on him once on the mat and got to take a victory lap, receiving high fives from Pidge and Hunk. It felt a little less satisfying knowing that Keith’s all wasn’t in it and he likely would have never gotten the hit otherwise but he’d take his victories where he could.

 

Truthfully, Lance was a little frustrated. Keith wasn't really avoiding him… but it was clear that he wasn’t actively seeking out his company or lingering after meetings like before. He hadn’t spoken a word to him outside of paladin shit. He frowns into his mug. Keith had grown a lot since their cadet days but he was worried Keith might do what he'd always done and just... bottle it all up. Deal with it like the lone wolf he used to be.

 

“So uh… do you know what it is?” Pidge says, pulling Lance from his thoughts as she heaves herself out from under the console. “What’s eating Keith?”

 

Lance grins. “Aw, Pidge. Are you worried about our dear leader?”

 

“I wouldn’t say worried,” Pidge snorts but the big brown eyes peering up at him tell a different story and Lance smiles wider. It isn’t just him. All the paladins are here for him and worrying about him. He hopes Keith knows that.

 

“It isn’t really my place to say. Keith is just… figuring some things out on his own for a bit.”

 

She sighs and pushes her glasses up. “If you’re sure…" She snaps a loose panel back into place. "All I need now is my- oh quiznak.” Pidge groans and pats at her orange cadet jacket. “I left it on my desk.”

 

“Hey, don’t sweat it.” He sets his coffee down. “You’ve got a... Sparky thing here to worry about. Lemme grab it. What do you need?”

 

After a quick description of something that had Lance scratching his head, he headed off to the tech labs to grab whatever tool she needed. The computer nerds barely glance at him as he walks in and riffles through a mountain of tools gadgets (which turns out to be Pidge's desk) before unearthing what looks like to be a modified hairdryer with metal coils on it. Considering it is the green paladin it could actually be just that. What does it do? Who knows. But it buzzes ominously in his grip so he's eager to get it to Pidge.

 

As he's hurrying his way back up to the bridge a voice calls out to him from down the hall. 

 

“Hey! Lance! Hold up!” Nadia says, waving her arms and jogging up to him.

 

Lance stops. “What’s up? I kinda gotta go deliver something for Pidge-”

 

“Your Samurai is looking for you.” She smirks as though she were in on an inside joke and Lance has the weird feeling like there is some kind of misunderstanding going on he should correct.

 

“Keith is?” He asks, a goofy smile spreading across his face.

 

“Yeah. Asked if I'd seen you and said he wanted to talk to you about something. Seemed important." She waggles her brows at him over her glasses and oh yeah definitely a misunderstanding happening here but he’s too happy and focused on how his heart feels like someone turned the gravity off in his chest. The worry over Keith he'd been carrying for the last few days lifting slightly knowing that Keith wasn't going to tough it out alone.

 

"Cool! Thanks for the heads up, Nadia!" Lance turns and almost bowls over a commander in his hurry to get back up to Pidge. He almost flings the hairdryer into her hands.

 

"Lance, what the hell?" She shouts, nearly fumbling the thing.

 

"Sorry, Pidge! I just remembered I have something I need to do! Later! Don't blow up the ATLAS!"

 

And he's already out the door.

 

Notes:

Biggest thing motivating me? That eventual smut tag up there. Alien sex. We'll get there I promise.

Chapter 8

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

By the time Lance remembers that he has a Garrison wide communication device on his person at all times he’s already spent thirty minutes running around and asking if people had seen Keith go by. By now the entire base knows he's looking for Keith but whatever. He pulls out his DataPAD to shoot Keith a note but is surprised to see he already has a direct message.

 

K_Kogane: Meet me at my room. 

 

Lance immediately turns around and almost takes out a cadet, narrowly avoiding crashing into her before heading for their living quarters. He tries to keep his composure as he goes. He wants to run but he settles for a brisk power walk.

 

He's almost out of breath by the time he makes it to Keith's door. It takes him a moment to gather his wits and he inhales, and knocks on the metal. “Keith?” He calls out.

 

One breath… two breaths…

 

The door slides open and Lance has to remind himself that he has to glance up now to look Keith in the eye. It is almost a physical relief to see the other paladin. Lance glances him over to try and gauge how he's doing. He looks tired but a little more put together than before.

 

“Hey,” Lance says with a smile. “Heard you were looking for me.”

 

“Yeah, I uh…” Keith scratches at the back of his neck, his hair tied up in a low ponytail. There are some serious dark circles under his eyes as he looks down the hall. He steps aside. "You should come in.”

 

Lance takes a seat in the same spot he did just a few days ago. It feels a little less tense this time, like both of them are a little more in control but he doesn’t know what to expect. Good news? Bad news? A little of both? No news? How much was he willing to talk about?

 

Keith sets a glass on the coffee table in front of Lance.

 

“I see you’re stepping up your hosting game,” Lance teases lightly.

 

“Don’t get too excited,” Keith snorts. “Its tap water.”

 

“Well, you know how to make a guy feel welcome.” Lance takes a sip. Yup, that certainly is recycled Garrison tap.

 

Keith takes a seat on the chair on Lance’s left and he looks like he is still trying to figure out what to say judging by the furrow of his brows. Lance waits.

 

“It took a little time but I finally reached M-Krolia,” Keith says finally. “I told her what was going on. Told her the things you’ve noticed.”

 

Lance leans forward. “And?”

 

“She already knew.”

 

The glass almost slips from his hands. “What? Seriously?”

 

“Yeah.” Keith folds his arms. “Or… at least suspected. She said she could smell a change in my scent and meant to talk to me about it. But she got called away before she got the chance.”

 

"Oh," Lance recalls the nut incident and running into Krolia in the lounge. She might have mentioned needing to talk to Keith about something important. Something personal. Shit, he totally forgot to mention that to Keith and now he feels a little bad. Was it about this then?

 

Keith takes a moment to stare hard at the floor.

 

And…?” He presses again. “What did she say?”

 

“I don’t know.”

 

Lance raises a brow. “What do you mean you don’t know? Was the connection that ba-“

 

“No. She said: ‘I don’t know’. As in they have no fucking idea.”

 

Lance blinks, mouth open in surprise as Keith sighs and slumps, both hands going through his hair as he shakes his head.

 

“Sorry, that isn’t… that isn’t true. I’m just a little frustrated still.” He takes a deep calming breath like he was getting ready to jump into a pit that could very well be bottomless. “I was never born with any physical Galra traits. And I didn’t show any later in life. Both of which are apparently "unusual"." The inflection there sounds like Kolivan. "Krolia and Kolivan had assumed that I would never show any significant features. They figured there was something about human genetics that just… prevented it. Or I simply cheated the gene pool.” He gives Lance a look as if he isn’t sure if he’s making any sense.

 

Thankfully, Lance is actually putting together what Keith is implying here. He had realized when reading the encyclopedia that not everything in it would apply to Keith. The first-ever interaction between Galra and humans was only some twenty years ago when Krolia stumbled across the Earth and Keith’s buff dad was smitten by a buffer alien woman twice his size (relatable). And the result was Keith.

 

But he had assumed they would have something. Anything. Someone out there had to have all the answers and could reassure Keith of what was going on and what to expect. Krolia. Kolivan. A Marmora doctor. They would just go “oh of course” and hand him a pamphlet or something. Kind of like the embarrassing things health class handed out his first year at the Garrison that were titled things like "So Your Body is Changing...". 

 

But of course, there wouldn't be anything like that. It was dawning on him that Keith was uncharted territory to everyone, even to his mother and especially to himself.

 

“Ok,” Lance began slowly, trying to wrap his brain around that. “But that clearly isn’t the case now.”

 

“Obviously.”

 

“There has to be something! Axca. Lotor! Even if they weren’t human they are half Galra!”

 

Keith makes a face as if he doesn’t want to talk about either of them (or maybe Lotor is just a sore subject). “Most hybrids have their Galra features by now. Mine are only appearing now and getting worse.”

 

Lance starts and leans forward. “Worse?”

 

Keith winces and the two of them stare hard at each other for a minute, Keith looking decidedly unwilling to explain further. But Lance doesn’t let up and glares at him till the other paladin finally sighs... an d begins to pull off his shirt.

 

“Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hang on-!” Heat flushes Lance’s cheeks and ears as he flails and looks away, one hand over his eyes.

 

“Nothing you haven’t seen before,” Keith snorts and he almost sounds amused despite the situation.

 

And ok maybe he has a point but never in private like this! It isn’t like at the pool or in the changing rooms. This makes him feel weird! Lance keeps his eyes on the coffee table. There is a chip on one of the corners. Did Keith do that? Fascinating.

 

“Well yeah," he says. "But it kind of seems like we were having a serious conversation and distracting me with your abs just feels really unfair!”

 

“Why would that distract you?”

 

Ugh. He can hear the smug. Dammit. Lance looks up to snap something witty back at Keith but… oh. He blinks.

 

“The bruises…” Lance says softly.

 

Keith nods. “… are definitely not bruises.”

 

On his pale torso is the light purple splotch from before. It hasn’t faded at all and it actually looks bigger than before, spreading up to his ribs. But it isn’t the only one or even the biggest. His entire left shoulder is the same color and soon his short sleeves won’t be able to hide the bloom of color as it creeps down his muscled biceps and over his collar bones. There is a smaller mark on his hip, barely hidden by his waistband, and Lance is fairly certain it wasn’t there before.

 

“They're getting bigger. And there are more…” Keith grimaces, his face going slightly pink. “… in other places I’d rather not talk about.”

 

“Understandable,” Lance says, breath hitching slightly. He’s hoping it comes off as respectful of Keith’s privacy rather than betraying the images of a big purple dick going through his brain. He wants to ask. But he shouldn't and he squirms as he tries to get a handle on his own hormones. It really isn’t the time or place for it and he tries to get serious again.

 

“Do they hurt?” He asks.

 

Keith shakes his head. “Itches like hell though. I can tell when a new one will show up because I want to scratch my skin off.”

 

The red paladin continues and explains as best he can what Krolia told him through their choppy connection. She gave him some information about what he could expect and what the trigger might be (Galra puberty apparently hit later compared to humans) but to Lance, it sounds like a lot of theories and “might” and “maybe”. They just don’t know to what extent Keith will change or how deep it will go. Not even a timeframe. 

 

And Krolia and the rest of them wouldn’t even be back for another month.

 

But who knew what could happen in that month?

 

Lance frowns at the slump of Keith’s shoulders. He doesn’t even look angry or scared. Just looks so… defeated. He reaches over slowly and Keith doesn’t move away as he places his hand over his.

 

“What if… what if we went to Coran an-“

 

“No!” Keith snaps, almost growls. His hand grips Lance's as if he expected him to jump up and reveal the mustachioed Altean from behind the door. Lance knows he doesn’t imagine the brief flare of gold in Keith's eyes. “Don’t… Don’t tell Coran. Or the others… not yet.”

 

Lance huffs. “Keith… you can’t tell me, after everything we’ve been through, that you honestly think they’d think badly of you just because you’re starting to look Galra?”

 

Keith glances sideways at him and Lance smirks because he knows he’s right. He knows that they would all accept Keith with open arms and Keith seems to realize that as well because he smiles a bit too.

 

It fades quickly though and is replaced with the broody eyebrows again.

 

“It isn’t really them I’m concerned about. It’s…" He sighs. "Everyone else.”

 

Lance frowns and tilts his head. "What do you mean?"

 

“I mean... I’m the head of Voltron.”

 

“Yeah? And?”

 

Dark eyes zero in on Lance, his expression grim. “Most don’t even know I’m half Galra,” he snaps bitterly. “Or they don't consider me one because I look human. How do you think the Garrison and the rest of the Alliance are going to feel about a Galra pilot in the black lion?”

 

Lance’s eyes widen as he catches on to what Keith is getting at. He recalls some of the anger and nasty comments from some members of the Alliance when the Blade of Marmora joined the fight.  

 

Hell, he thinks of Allura's initial reaction to Keith's heritage. How the usually rational diplomat princess lashed out at someone she had considered her friend and ally. Thankfully, she was past that and had clearly seen the error of her thinking but there was no guarantee others would.

 

Flirty douchebag seemed to be of that opinion too. His sneer and comments about Galra being particularly rude. And it wasn't like Lance hadn't heard some similar things whispered around the Garrison... There were some very shitty takes going around about Axca.

 

“Exactly,” Keith says, reading the look that must be on Lance’s face. He scratches at the scar on his cheek. “I’d rather we just keep this between us for now.”

 

The blue paladin looks at Keith for a moment and sighs, head drooping. He understands Keith’s unwillingness to tell the others, understand that fear of being seen differently. But depending on how far these changes will go, Keith can’t hide it for long. Was he hoping they’d be back in space by the time it became impossible to hide?

 

“Ok,” Lance agrees with a nod. “I still think you should at least tell the others…” He presses a finger to his lips. “But it isn’t my secret to tell. We can keep it our secret for now.”

 

Keith blows out a sigh of relief, brows softening from their hard furrow.

 

“Thanks, Lance,” he squeezes Lance’s hand, thumb rubbing over the back of it and Lance hopes Keith can’t hear the hitch of his breath. At one point they were almost the same size. But now Keith's pale hands easily wrap around Lance's now, fingers long and palms wide and warm against his skin. It occurs to him that he hasn't seen Keith wear his stupid gloves recently and he wonders if he outgrew those too. Keith seems to realize what he's doing and stops, his eyes fluttering as he pulls away and stands.

 

The touching and scent marking… Keith didn’t bring any of that up from his chat with Krolia. He’s tempted to ask, to settle that little annoying voice in his head finally, but this has already been a lot and Keith looks like he just wants to pass out. He probably hadn't slept a whole lot in the last few days.

 

Baby steps. Already this was progress. It was far more important now to focus on Keith and work together on figuring out what’s going in that crazy DNA of his. He didn't want to add his messy feelings to all this.

 

He’ll just have to ask later.

 

Notes:

Talking is finally out of the way. Fun stuff and more changes coming up.

Chapter 9

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Lance doesn’t work up the cajones to ask about the scenting.

 

It isn’t that he’s scared. Of course not! Mama didn’t raise no coward. He had faced down Galra three times his size. What would did he have to fear from Keith?

 

He just… it’s awkward ok? It was strange Keith addressed everything but that. It nagged and bothered Lance like a splinter in his thumb. It caused his brain to run wild and unchecked, coming up with ludicrous wishful theories.

 

But still, he couldn’t bring himself to bring it up. He had dropped a few hints toward the question but either Keith didn’t pick up on them (highly likely considering is was Keith) or did and was trying to steer clear of it altogether.

 

It was frustrating. Keith was clearly trying to hold himself back with the touching and scenting. Lance could tell because he would sometimes raise his hand and look all constipated for a moment before catching himself and not so smoothly go to scratch at his neck or something. Sometimes he didn’t manage to catch himself, his fingers brushing briefly against the inside of Lance's wrist before snatching his hand away. It was driving Lance mad.

 

But there were other things to focus on.

 

Now that Keith had acknowledged the situation and the two of them officially had their secret, it was time for them to put their heads together and figure out what they could do. Lance kept a list of what he discovered in his readings (still nothing on scenting) and what changes Keith might expect.

 

It motivated Lance to double down on his reading.

 

“… you’re wearing Pidge’s glasses again.”

 

Lance looks up from his screen and grins as Keith took a seat across from him. The break room by the labs was usually empty, most of the science nerds taking their breaks at their desks, and the quiet allowed Lance to focus on reading better.

 

“What do you think? I kinda dig them,” he says. “I think they give me a… sexy librarian look you know?” He flutters his lashes at Keith over the rims. “Don’t you think they make me look smarter?”

 

Keith blinks and then that stupid crooked smirk spreads across his face and he leans in. “Sorry. I don’t think a pair of fake glasses can help you there.”

 

He huffs and pushes the glasses back up his nose. “Throw me a bone. Here I am trying to help you out and this is the thanks I get?” He pouts at Keith. “You could at least agree with me on the sexy part.”

 

Dark eyes roll and Keith leans back in his chair, arms folded. “Did you find anything new?”

 

The pout remains in place as Lance looks back down at the screen, waiting for the program to reboot.

 

“Nothing we didn’t already know,” Lance sighs. “It is so slow. Our dumb potato technology doesn’t play nice with Altean wizardry unless Pidge works her magic on it.” He taps his finger impatiently on the screen. He isn’t sure why he does that. It never actually makes it go faster. He glances up. “I could ask but she might get suspicious…”

 

Keith frowns, clearly not entirely comfortable with that.

 

“But it’s fine,” Lance assures him with a smile. “And if it gets to be too much maybe I’ll just accidentally break it and ask for an upgrade.”

 

Keith raises a brow disapprovingly. “Purposely breaking Garrison property?”

 

Lance scoffs. “I don’t want to hear that from the guy that broke into a Garrison facility and ran several Garrison professors off the road on his hoverbike.”

 

They both smile and snicker at that. That felt like another lifetime ago. Lance wonders if those two teenagers would recognize the paladin’s sitting together in this break room.

 

“Anything new with you?” Lance asks, eyes flicking over Keith for any sudden developments in the last week. Despite the growth spurt, which several people had started commenting on, there was nothing outwardly obvious. The purple spots remained hidden by the long sleeves and high collar of the borrowed cadet uniform. Even if it was now too small and squeezed and clung distractingly to his biceps and chest.

 

He couldn’t wait till they got the new uniforms.

 

“No,” Keith says.

 

“Are you sure? Not even something small?”

 

“I’ve had a headache. Right behind my eyes.” He scratches at his scarred cheek. “But I’ve had that for weeks now.”

 

“Hmm,” Lance muses as the program finally flickers to life. It could just be a tension headache. Stress maybe. Lance himself had one right now from staring this damn screen for so long. But that was the frustrating thing about this situation.

 

While things like size, strength, fangs, and the color purple had largely been consistent Lance couldn’t help but think of all the Galra they’ve ever encountered. Some had big fluffy ears. Others were like Krolia and Ulaz with their pointed elf ears. Some were covered in fur while others were scaly or smooth. Tails. No tails. Markings. No markings.

 

Maybe they could guess from Krolia’s features but then you toss in the first ever Galra/human hybrid factor and then it was a roulette of possibilities. A headache could be stress or a fucking pair of horns for all he knew.

 

“Ugh, this is making my head hurt,” Lance groans, pressing his cheek against the table. Information overload. His brain wasn’t good at this. It all made his head spin. If only he could ask Coran or Allura for help. If only Keith had someone better and smarter helping him with this…

 

Ah, shit. He bites his lip. Not the time for those thoughts.

 

He just had to do his best. For Keith.

 

Lance inhales and abruptly lifts his head. Keith startles and pulls his hand back. He’s a little too slow. Lance feels a tingle down his spine as his fingers glance across his scalp. His skin goes warm and his toes curl in his boots.

 

Was Keith trying to pat his head or something? Comfort him?

 

“Uh… sorry.” Keith’s hand curls into a fist as he stares at Lance, dark eyes apologetic and flecked faintly with amber.

 

Keith had tried to scent him again.

 

Lance’s hands clench. He needs to ask. What does it mean? Does it mean what he wants it to? Does Keith think of him like that at all?

 

But then a commander walks into the room, loudly slurping at his cup of coffee, eyeing the two of them before turning right around and out.

 

Lance sets his dataPAD down and takes off the glasses.

 

“You feel like sparring?” He asks instead.

 

***

 

A few days later Lance is waiting by the mess hall for Keith to wrap up his last meeting of the day. It was a big one; discussing the personnel assignments on the ATLAS. Some had already been settled of course but the ATLAS was a big ass ship and it needed a lot of people to run it.

 

He's trying to work up the courage to ask about scenting again when Keith comes storming down the hall, people scrambling out of his way. Lance gets one look and immediately scraps any plans to ask anything.

 

Something tells him that the meeting didn't go well.

 

He marches right up to Lance and stops, looming more than ever at this moment. His head is down and his fists tremble at his side.

 

Everyone watches and even though Lance tries to shoo them all away he knows they're still peering around the corners to see what happens. He'd like to tell them off for being nosy little gossips but he knows he totally would be doing the same thing in this situation.  

 

"Keith?" He whispers quietly, leaning in and trying to catch his eyes. Keith only seems to withdraw further, like a turtle ducking into a shell, but he doesn't move. Lance rests a hand on Keith's trembling one. "What happened? Talk to me, Samurai."

 

For a moment Keith loosens up a bit, hands unclenching but then he's clamming up again.

 

"Keith!" Lance looks around Keith to see a very concerned Shiro coming down the hall. Keith's head snaps up and he looks directly at Lance. His eyes are a furious amber glow; more striking and Galra than Lance has ever seen them. 

 

Lance doesn't know what happened or why but he does know that Keith needs to be anywhere but here.

 

"C'mon." He grabs Keith by the wrist and yanks him down the hall. Lance hears Shiro call for both of them. He feels a little bad for ignoring him but when Keith's hand curls around Lance's and squeezes hard he puts his head down and doesn't stop till they reach the lions' hangars.

 

Soon the red lion is leaping into the sky, leaving the Garrison far behind.

 

Neither of them says a word as Lance pilots Red.

 

He lands the lion and the two of them step out. Dark rocky cliffs rise up around them as their feet sink into this little slice of sand. They both stare out at the ocean in front of them, moon round and soft in the sky.

 

"Don't tell anyone about this spot," Lance says as he plops down and starts pulling off his boots. "I found this beach when I first joined the Garrison. I flunked my first flight simulation. Again. I wanted to be alone so I took a bus to the coast. Cried the entire way. Probably freaked out the bus driver." Keith just stares at him. "Anyway, I eventually ended up here. Hard to get to cause of the cliffs so it's usually pretty quiet." He yanks off his socks and buries his toes in the sand. "The ocean always reminds me of home. Helps me clear my mind."  

 

He pats the sand and Keith slowly sits down.

 

"I'm glad it wasn't destroyed. The second I was released from the hospital I took Red straight here and jumped headfirst into that big beautiful blue ocean." He sighs as he recalls how he laughed till he cried as the surf tossed him around, feeling like the Earth was finally welcoming him home with a big watery hug.

 

"... is that how you popped your stitches?" Keith asks quietly, staring out at the sea. In the dark, his eyes still glowed, gold flickering in and out as he blinked.

 

Lance laughs and reaches up to his temple, feeling the line of raised skin still there under his hair. "Yeah. I was a little too enthusiastic to be home I guess. But it made me feel better. I know it isn't really your element but I didn't think we should be going to any volcanoes."

 

Keith snorts quietly and they just let the sounds of the ocean wash over them, salt-tinged air ruffling at their clothes and hair.

 

"Axca wants to join us on the ATLAS," Keith says after a long while. "She wants to make amends and put an end to this damn war."

 

"That's great," Lance nods slowly. He hadn't interacted much with the other half Galra on base but had heard his sister talk about her a lot and Veronica had mentioned similar things.

 

Keith sighs and scrubs a hand through his hair. ”She put a request in to join the crew and was approved. But in the meeting... a few of the commanders suggested revoking her approval."

 

Lance's mouth fell open.

 

"Did they-"

 

"I don't know. I lost my temper. Broke my dataPAD and then just left when I realized I was getting too heated."

 

That explained why Shiro looked so concerned.     

 

"Your eyes..."

 

"I know. I can kinda tell when they change. Things become sharper. More intense. I don't think they saw but..." He frowns and looks at Lance. "... I did growl." 

 

Lance gives a small smile. "I bet the look on their faces was pretty funny when you did that."

 

"Yeah," Keith laughs. He takes a deep breath. "Can I borrow your shoulder for a bit?"

 

Lance scoots a little closer, their shoulders knocking together as he does.

 

"Sure."

 

Notes:

Still not dead.

Happy to see everyone else is also here for big buff Keith as much as Lance and I am. One of these days Keith is going to split one of these cadet uniforms if he flexes too hard.

Chapter 10

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Shiro was waiting for them when they got back. Probably waited the whole night. Arms folded and chest puffed out, he looks equal parts disappointed and tired. More tired than usual anyway. Lance is sure that all of his hair will be entirely white within two years at this rate.

 

Honestly, they should be berated harder by their commanding officer for dipping like that (though the new “paladin” designation in the Garrison was a little fuzzy in the hierarchy). But as their Space Dad, he merely scolds them.

 

“Tensions are high,” Shiro explains. “Everyone is stressed. And I understand that you have a lot to deal with. But as the black paladin I need you to keep a cool head even when faced with comments like that.”

 

Keith nods begrudgingly at that but it looks like he just doesn’t have the energy to fight back right now. He’s tired. And wet. And covered in sand. Lance had shoved him into the surf in retaliation for the dunking him which resulted in Keith shoving sand down his pants which resulted in Lance lobbing a sandball in Keith’s face and- well it all kind of went downhill from there and eventually they had to stop before their sorta still there rivalry ended in one of them accidentally drowning.

 

Lance shifts as Shiro continues, wincing at the chaffing. There is sand in places there never should be.

 

But it was a good time. Fun. More fun than Lance had in some time.

 

Keith was smiling and laughing as they just messed around. It occurs to Lance that despite finally being back, finally being home, there hadn’t been much time to enjoy it. To revel in the things they all missed so much about Earth. Kicking around in the surf makes him feel alive again. 

 

But Keith hadn't even left the Garrison since coming back. When he got discharged from the hospital after the fight with the Robeast, he immediately announced he was hopping onto that stupid hoverbike of his to tear his way across the desert like a maniac. Naturally, he was crushed when he was informed that his bike was confiscated after they left on Blue and all non-essential machinery was used for scrap during the war.

 

Lance had never seen a man mourn so deeply for a vehicle.

 

“What about Axca?” Keith asks, voice rising. “It isn’t fair that she-“

 

“Axca is fine,” Shiro interjects. “Enough people vouched for her to prevent her removal from the ATLAS crew and her detractors have been sufficiently shamed into silence…” He frowns. “For now.”

 

The two paladins also frown at that but Lance hears the sigh of relief from Keith.

 

“And Lance...” Shiro’s steely eyes turn on him. Oh shit. Is he going to get scolded too? He did kind of… ignore a commanding officer right in front of everyone... “Thank you."

 

“Pardon?” Lance says, holding a hand up to his ear, sure he heard that wrong.

 

Shiro folds his arms and smiles, fully this time, the way he only does around them. “Next time you ignore an order there will be consequences… but sometimes I forget to give you guys some space. I’m so used being on the ship and-“

 

“Being dad?”

 

Shiro freezes.

 

Keith snorts.

 

“Pidge’s word not mine,” Lance says with a flush.

 

Shiro’s ears go red and he clears his throat. “I will have to talk to her about that... Well, you get the idea. I’ve noticed how well you guys have been working together as of late. And I'm really proud of the progress you've both made. Especially you Keith.”

 

Lance stifles a laugh. Keith's expression bounces from a glower to wide-eyed awe. Like he can't decide if he should still be upset or be happy from Shiro's compliment.  

 

“Only because he has me to keep him in check.” Lance grins cheekily even when he gets a pointy elbow in the side.

 

“I’m glad,” Shiro laughs. “Everyone needs someone that can do that for them.” For a moment his smile looks sad. Wistful. He looks as though he's just unearthed a forgotten memory buried deep next to his heart, but before Lance can ponder it Shiro dismisses them, says goodnight, and turns away. 

 

The two paladins slowly make their way back to their own rooms, wet socks squelching in the quiet halls.

 

“Pidge is gonna kill you for outing her word for Shiro,” Keith whispers.

 

“She can’t kill me." Lance tilts his head up. "I'm too important. I keep you in check remember?”

 

He rolls his eyes. “Sure you do.” Keith’s eyes glitter at him. Not with their own glow anymore but from the dim lighting of the halls. They eventually did go back to their normal dark midnight color. And from a socially respectful distance, no one would ever notice anything odd. But now Lance notices something he didn't see back on the moonlit beach as he checked Keith's eyes. 

 

Radiating out from his pupils, like the rays of a solar eclipse peeking out from behind the moon, is a ring of gold.

 

***

 

He gets his answers to scenting finally. Sorta.

 

The two of them are walking together, going over talking points for their next meeting while Lance makes note of new developments in his dataPAD. Keith's headache is persistent now, centered behind the eyes, and only kept at bay with aspirin. He also woke up this morning with jaw pain. Lance hums in concern. He's been trying to uncover answers to these things but so far his readings have given him nothing to work off of. He's barely paying attention and doesn't even realize Keith has stopped talking until he feels the smallest of touches against his wrist, warm and tingly through his veins and up his neck. 

 

Touchy-feely Keith strikes again.

 

Instinct, Lance reminds himself. Just confusing Galra shit.

 

Like always Keith seems to realize what he's doing with a flicker of surprise and a glower but before Keith can pull back this time Lance snatches his hand and laces his fingers through bigger pale ones and clutches tight.

 

Lance has had enough.

 

“You know,” he blurts out, looking up at Keith. “I don’t mind.”

 

They come to a halt in the hallway.

 

“Wha-” Keith starts, staring at Lance as if he’d just presented The Holy Grail and smacked him across the face with it. His eyes are wide and his lips part in shock and some other emotion Lance can’t place.

 

“I mean it,” Lance says, holding all the tighter. He knows Keith could very easily shake him. The fact that he doesn't tells Lance what he needs to know.

 

“You…” Keith growls in frustration. “Lance, you don’t know what you're saying.”

 

Lance huffs, shaking Keith's captive hand. “And who’s fault is that? Just tell me so-” They both jump at the sound of footsteps coming from around the corner. Lance frantically looks around, finds a door, and yanks Keith in.

 

It’s dark and cramped. Hm. A storage closet. Perfect. Delightfully cliche.

 

Lance notes how Keith forces himself to actively bends his body away from Lance to avoid touching any part of him. An effort that is moot because their hands are still linked. And it is kind of tight in here.

 

“Ok,” he says in a whisper. “Now you’re just being ridiculous. Tell me why you’re trying so hard to not scent me when before you were acting like my Nana’s cat when I’m holding a can of tuna.”

 

Keith splutters in the pitch dark and Lance wishes his vision would adjust sooner to see the look on his face. He does see a soft glow and it takes him a moment to realize its the thin ring of gold in his eyes.

 

“Because I can’t,” Keith gets out finally. “I’m not supposed to.”

 

“Why?”

 

Silence. Just their breathing between them. There are no environmental controls in here and the room is warm with two bodies pressed into somewhere they don’t really fit.

 

“Explain it to me, Keith.”

 

“…”

 

He hopes Keith can see the scowl on his face. “Explain, or I swear I will go ask Axca-”

 

“No,” Keith snarls, suddenly much closer and voice deeper. His black paladin voice. Which might also be his Galra voice. They had some crazy vocal cords as it turned out. Either way, it makes Lance shudder and he hopes Keith can’t see it. Or smell it. “Don’t you fucking dare." Keith continues. "It’s personal. If you ask her about scent marking she might rip your arms off.”

 

"Noted. But..." He thinks back to what Don Juan at the bar said. "Is it like a sex thing?”

 

“No!" Keith snaps. "It's more than-!" He snarls and lowers his voice. “No. Krolia said that other aliens don’t understand it so they say dumb shit like that. It’s something that- God, this is embarrassing... It’s a comfort thing. Galra scent mark those close to them. Family. Close friends. Those that are… special. It signals a bond and connection.”

 

Lance nods slowly, not trusting himself to speak. So it isn’t… exactly what he had been imagining after all. Or is it? He still doesn’t understand. 

 

“Then-“

 

Keith cuts him off. “It’s also incredibly rude and disrespectful to scent someone without their permission or knowledge. I don’t have enough control over my instincts yet so Krolia said I should refrain from doing it to others.”

 

Is it just him or is he missing something here? Lance bites his lip. “Are there- so there are others you want to uh… scent?”

 

“Yeah. Shiro. Hunk. Pidge. Sometimes Allura.”

 

Lance’s heart swoops in an uncomfortable way. Did he really think that this scenting thing was just for him? That it meant he was something special? He swallows it down and ignores his disappointment and latches on to his frustration with Keith instead.

 

“Ok, so why didn’t you just tell me? Why did you hold back?” He purses his lips. “I thought we were past this shit. Do you like the constant man pain angst?”

 

Keith shifts in the dark and he suddenly sounds closer. “It’s because it's weird. I feel like a damn cat and its fucking embarrassing. But the compulsion…” He sighs. “I can’t even describe it. It settles something in me. It’s so hard to resist.”

 

“Then don’t.”

 

“… what?”

 

“Then don’t resist. I mean…” He holds up his hand. Lance had long since loosened his hand but Keith had never let go. “You already have a hard time not doing it.”

 

Keith’s grip is gone in a flash. “Shit... You’re the only one that I have a hard time resisting.”

 

Blue eyes flutter in surprise at that.

 

Keith continues to mumble. “I haven’t scented Pidge or Shiro or anyone even once but you... it's like I can’t fucking help myself, god…”

 

Lance blinks. It feels like there is something else here being left unsaid. Another aspect to this scenting thing that either Keith doesn't know or isn't telling. At this point though Lance doesn't care. He just wants Keith to stop looking like he's accidentally killed the class pet every time he tries to touch Lance. “So you’re saying I’m… irresistible?”

 

“Lance, this is serious." He growls. "I can't-”

 

“And I'm saying you can. Boom. Permission granted. You don’t have to hold back. If your wild alien instincts are telling you to do something just do it.” He tilts his head back “Besides you know me. I'm the touchy-feely guy in the group remember? More importantly, I'm your friend.”

 

“But… Krolia…”

 

“Hey, what she doesn’t know won’t hurt right?” Lance throws his arms out as wide as he can in the small space. “Now come on! Embrace those funky Galra feelings! I know you want to-oh!”

 

Well, that didn't take as much convincing as he thought. Lance wheezes as big arms wrap around him and he is engulfed in warmth and floating, feet lifting right off the ground. He feels the scratch of Keith’s uniform against his cheek as Keith nuzzles into the offered space and breathes deep. Lance sighs. He feels like he could happily die right here in these arms.

 

"So this is... okay?" Keith asks.

 

“Yeah." He pats Keith’s back. “See? No problem right?”

 

The other paladin mumbles something Lance can’t quite catch. His heart is pounding too loud in his ears.

 

“What?”

 

“Nothing,” Keith says, holding tighter, breathing Lance like he's oxygen.

 

"Good. Glad we got that out of the way. Can you put me down now?"

 

Notes:

Still not dead.
I think everything up till this point has just been set up for the good shit.

Chapter 11

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

They keep the scenting to themselves obviously. They want to make sure the other humans on the base don’t start asking questions.

 

Unfortunately, it is harder to hide from certain aliens around the Garrison.

 

A few other aliens around the base had been practically doing double takes when he walked by. At least the ones that had the ability to scent such things. Once, he went to deliver a part to ATLAS navigation and Slav had taken one whiff of him, grabbed him by the elbows with four hands, and launched into an incomprehensible tirade that Shiro had to rescue him from. Lance’s ears were still ringing long after.

 

It made Lance wish he could smell it. He must be more obviously scented now than before. Instead of before where Keith felt like he had to steal and sneak touches to scent Lance he now did it freely, knowing that Lance didn’t mind and wouldn’t judge him. He didn’t indulge in it in front of others but overall Keith seems far more at ease with their new understanding.

 

At first, he was still hesitant of course. Then one morning they’re both standing in the elevator alone, Keith behind Lance when he leans down and nuzzles into the brunette whorl of hair on the back of his head. Keith gives a rumbling sound from his chest. Lance gasps and feels Keith freeze. Before Keith can jump to conclusions again, Lance leans back, body caught by the firm 6’4 wall that was now Keith. Hopefully, Keith takes it as the reassurance it's meant to be. 

 

Nothing is said for a moment. Then Keith quickly gave him another rub with his cheek, then clears his throat and steps away leaving Lance to catch his balance. 

 

Lance smiles. It is one hurdle mostly cleared that gives him hope that things will be okay. That they can handle this. 

 

Then things begin to escalate.

 

It is a rare day off for all of them. After Keith’s outburst and then Pidge almost electrocuting herself a few days later when she passed out with a hand still in the exposed wires of some scientific gizmo, Veronica immediately pulls them off their projects. Other people are assigned their work and all of the paladins suddenly have their first day off together in months. She even goes as far as temporarily revoking Allura’s access to the labs to prevent the princess from sneaking back in. 

 

“You’ll die out in space before you can even get to Haggar if you go on like this!” she had said. Ah, good old Veronica. Always a big sister to not just Lance but to everyone else as well.

 

So with such an opportunity Hunk insisted on a paladin dinner, just like the old days in the castle, only this time with good old Earth food. Coran tries to help only for Hunk to boot him out and recruit Lance for help as the only other person with a shred of cooking ability. He spent most of his childhood helping his mother out in the kitchen.

 

They shove the tables in their little community room together and end up with a pretty impressive spread that even has a sulking Coran drool. The two paladins share a smug high five.

 

“I feel like I haven’t seen any of your faces in ages,” Hunk sighs as he sits and happily digs his spoon into a bowl of banana pudding.

 

“You’re going for the pudding first?” Pidge snorts, snagging a few tortillas and the bowl of shredded chicken.

 

Hunk shrugs and licks his spoon. “Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.”

 

“Sounds like a wise proverb!” Coran says dragging the bowl of pudding over.

 

“It doesn’t actually mean eat dessert first,” Pidge huffs. “What do you mean anyway? We literally saw each other at a paladin meeting yesterday.”

 

“Yeah, but that was work. We barely have time to talk outside of work stuff. It feels like I’m actually seeing you guys again.”

 

“It is nice for all of us to be together again without having to worry about work,” Allura admits with a small smile. “I confess I’m a little anxious because they’re going to be analyzing the Robeast tomorrow and I really should be the-” All of them look at her and she clears her throat and sheepishly tucks a strand of white hair behind her ear. “But yes this is nice. It feels like the old days a little bit.”

 

“Yeah except back then I was sick of seeing all of your faces all the time,” Pidge laughs.

 

“Pidge!” Lance gasps mockingly. He frames his face with his hands and fluttering his lashes at her. “How could anyone ever get sick of my handsome face?”

 

“It was less the face and more the flapping mouth attached to it,” Keith quips on his left and, this time, Lance’s scandalized gasp is more genuine.

 

“Says the one that spends most of his time with Lance outside of work,” Allura replies.

 

“Hey, yeah I’ve noticed that too,” Hunk says.

 

“I’m his second in command. So of course I am,” Lance replies quickly. It’s partly true but he can’t tell them the real reason. Keith still wasn’t ready yet.

 

“I’ve got no choice,” Keith replies with a shit-eating grin before tearing into his taco.

 

Oh, but Lance isn’t letting Keith get away with that one. Maybe it is the fact there are no disapproving Garrison eyes judging their every action that loosens Lance’s restraint. Or maybe it is the familiarity and joy he’s feeling from being around everyone without the pretense of work.

 

Keith gets a spoonful of banana pudding in the face.

 

The other paladin looks stunned. After a moment of silence Pidge and Lance roar with laughter. Keith recovers, his smile sharklike, and grabs a handful of guacamole to fling at Lance. Only to miss and hit the green paladin instead. She then flings salsa and nails Allura in one of her pointy ears. Not even Shiro can stop the inevitable. Food flies through the air into faces and hair, all of them shrieking and laughing.

 

It all feels so familiar. 

 

Lance attempts to slap Keith in the face with a handful of pudding only for Keith to whirl on him, grin spread wide over his teeth, almost manic, and tackle Lance to the ground beneath the table.

 

“Got you,” he crows, his eyes flash between from dark to light like someone is flickering the lights in there. There is already pudding in his hair and eyebrows. Even his eyelashes.

 

Lance snorts a laugh and tries to free his pinned hands. “It’s a food fight, not a sparring match! ”

 

“What can I say?” Keith leans in, face too close, eyes too gold. “Galra are known for being competitive.”

 

Lance is about to retaliate with another swing with the pudding hand when a big glob of it in Keith’s hair slides off his bangs and splatters onto Lance’s neck. Lance yelps at the gross feeling and Keith cackles.

 

“It’s cold!” He whines.

 

Keith’s gold eyes glitter dangerously, not unlike the way it did during sparring when he had Lance caught beneath him in a pin. Hooded and somewhat predatory. Dangerous in all the right ways. It's a look that always sends heat pinging around Lance’s nerves and his cheeks go warm much as it does now. Keith stares at Lance like he’s something to be savored and it takes everything Lance has to not just lay himself out on the table for him like a suckling pig. With an apple in the mouth and all.

 

But he can’t.

 

“You look like you're gonna eat me,” Lance whispers with a grin. "Be gentle with it ok?" Keith’s eyes flutter at that, his mouth goes slack, and his hands loosen enough for Lance to get his pudding hand free and smack Keith in the face with it. He’ll get shit for it but flirting really was his best weapon, a means of deflection… and (admittedly) a coping mechanism. 

 

“Lance! I told you-” Keith splutters, rearing back so fast he knocks his head on the table with a thud. “Fuck!”

 

“What can I say? Old habits die hard.” Lance laughs, crawling out from under the table watching as Keith tries to scoop banana goop out of his eyes.

 

Keith tries to glare at Lance through the mess and-

 

Lance actually yelps.

 

Wait. What the fuck.

 

His eyes had been flashing gold lately, changing like a damn mood ring. So the color wasn’t a huge shock. But that had just been the irises with a faint yolky yellow in the whites. Now both eyes are awash in a yellow void, not unlike Kolivan or many other Galra. It's… bizarre to be unable to see his pupils. Lance’s dumb human brain recoils from the uncanniness until the lightbulb goes off.

 

Lance’s reading has actually prepared him for this one.

 

A third eyelid. A nictitating membrane. Whatever you call it, Galra have it; a thin opaque yellow membrane under the first pair of eyelids that slides over the eyes horizontally. They kind of functioned like built-in goggles as far as Lance could tell. Kolivan and many Galra kept theirs closed constantly as a means of protecting their sensitive eyes from attack.

 

Like banana pudding.

 

“Lance?” Keith questions in concern, head tilting, and regular eyelids blinking over his yellow ones. And then he frowns and his eyes widen with realization.

 

“Shit,” he swears, hand coming up to his face.

 

“Oh boy,” Lance breathes.

 

“Are you guys trying to hide?!” Pidge shouts, peering down at them from on the table, her glasses smeared with food.

 

Thinking fast Lance throws a tortilla in her face, loudly declares Keith got lemon in his eyes (never mind there isn’t anything with lemon on the table), pulls Keith into the bathroom, and locks the door.

 

“Shit,” Keith repeats, looking into the mirror at the yellow reflected at him. “I didn’t think…”

 

“Does it hurt?” Lance whispers, coming up close to take a look. “Can you see?”

 

Keith glances at him, squinting strangely. “No, it feels… weird. But not bad. I can see but everything looks a little… yellow.” He sighs and pulls down on his regular lids as if to inspect it. “It actually feels like a pressure has been released from my eyes.”

 

“Your headaches,” Lance realizes. He taps the space under his own eye. “It must have been these forming.” He pauses in thought. “Can you open them?”

 

Keith’s brows furrow and he squints harder. Then he closes his eyes. Lance tries not to laugh at his ordeal until finally, the membrane retracts, yellow retreating back into the corner of Keith’s eyes.

 

“Well, at least you can control them right?”

 

Keith’s expression however looks deep in thought and Lance knows he’s worried. Scared even. But, to his surprise, the other paladin takes a deep breath, stands tall, and steps closer. At first, Lance thinks he’s going to scent him again so his eyes slip shut, that little pleasurable flutter of anticipation in his stomach ignored for the moment. Then his eyes fly open as he feels (and smells) banana pudding being smeared across his face.

 

“Keith!” He shouts.

 

“Revenge,” Keith chuckles softly with a crooked smirk.

 

"Ok, you got me. I deserved that," Lance huffs his own laugh. "You're taking this better than I thought."

 

For a moment Keith thinks about it. " Yeah,” he says finally. “I can't say that I'm happy about it, but... there is nothing I can do about it right now.”

 

Lance blinks. Keith actually looks more at ease. Relaxed. As if he was starting to settle into his new changing skin and body. Like something has clicked into place for him. Perhaps he had made some peace with his changes? Or some  part of Lance, the prideful and vain part, likes to think that maybe it’s because of him. Maybe, he’s helping Keith become more confident navigating the weirdness. That maybe this is something he, and only he, could do.

 

But then he shakes his head and dislodges those notions. At best he is a shoulder. Someone to lean on. Anyone could do that right?

 

"Right!" Lance says with a smile. "Besides, the Blade and Krolia will be back in a week and then we can try and get a better idea of what you’re dealing with.”

 

Keith nods and scratches at the back of his neck.

 

Unbeknownst to either of them is that those long-dormant alien genes were on a faster timeline than they could have guessed.

 

Notes:

Galra Keith sometimes ends up feeling more like a werewolf than an alien. So I made Galra part woodpecker instead.

Chapter 12

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

They manage to binge all of season one of their animated series before jumping right back into work. Only three days, but it isn’t really a surprise. They’re supposed to launch in almost a week and things still don't feel ready.

 

All the paladins, save for Keith and Lance, are desperately needed to get the ATLAS and Garrison prepared for the last mission. Allura is absorbed with the surprising find in the Robeast (an Altean!) and dealing with the implications of that. So they have all retreated back into the depths of their labs and departments, busier than ever.

 

Which is fine. The two of them are actually pretty busy making sure the Earth is secure before they leave it Voltron-less. The Garrison got another tip on those smuggled weapons and have even more evidence leading to that bar being a point of contact for buyers. Even more concerning were now rumors of aliens that look suspiciously Galra-ish buying those weapons. Much to Keith’s frustration. There shouldn’t be any Marmora on Earth right now and even if they were they wouldn’t be buying illegal weapons. So if there are Galra… they’re probably empire.

 

Keith had sat through that debrief looking like he sucked an entire lemon. People had made some... less than kind comments in regards to it.

 

Lance sighs as he stares up at the entrance to the seedy bar again, hoping that this time they’ll get what they need and maybe disprove those rumors before The Marmora returns in two days. 

 

“I don’t like this plan,” Keith says through Lance’s earpiece. “I should-“

 

“No,” he whispers. “This is my plan and it's a good plan but it won’t work if you’re here. Now shush.”

 

“Are you sure about this?” James says. Keith and Lance had both decided they needed a third person this time around. Just in case. “What if our target isn’t into dudes? No offense, Lance.”

 

“None taken,” Lance smirks and pushes his fake glasses up his nose. He turns and looks up. Keith and James are stationed on the building across from the bar, probably with binoculars trained on him. “But I assure you that it won’t even matter.” He blows a kiss and winks up at them.

 

“Lance,” Keith growls warningly.

 

“Gross,” James says in disgust.

 

With that he marches right into the bar, putting on his best pout. There aren’t many people in the bar, too early still, but every eye is on him as he plops onto a stool at the bar. He doesn’t blame them really. Even Lance has to admit he feels a little indecent in a pair of cutoffs so tight and shorts his ass cheeks practically spill out of them. 

 

It was a pair he hid from his mom in the back of his closet and only ever wore to parties. They certainly came in handy but he never imagined he’d be using them to try and bring down a gun-smuggling ring.

 

Not that was the weirdest thing he's done at this point.

 

“Got anything for a broken heart?” He sighs, playing forlorn and sad to the bartender. He slips some credits over.

 

The bartender however just looks blankly at him with all six of his eyes, snorts, and slides over a dubious drink that looks like it could clog his windpipe. Is it supposed to be that thick? Oh well. He takes a sip (tastes like... onion?) and scans the place.

 

After their disaster of a mission last time they had to come up with a new angle. People would immediately be on the alert if Keith came back in here after that last performance. So Lance decided he would have to use his greatest weapon…. flirting. And his ass. So... two weapons. He would play the role of a sad little man looking to drown his sorrows after breaking up with his boyfriend and see if he got any bites. Even if they recognized him, they wouldn’t see a lone human like him as a real threat. They might even loosen their tongues a little bit for him.

 

He just had to make it look good… which well look at him. He looks like a fucking snack.

 

“Start with the bartender,” James says. “See if you can get anything out of him.”

 

“Just talk,” Keith adds. “Don’t flirt.”

 

Lance huffs and turns toward the stony bartender when someone slides into the seat next to him.

 

“Didn’t think I’d see you here again.”

 

Lance blinks and turns. Well, what do you know? Don Juan returns.

 

The familiar blue-faced alien’s smirk is a little tighter, his eyes more skeptical, and his wrist is wrapped in a splint, but his look is no less lustful as he rakes his gaze over Lance. This one is definitely a glutton for punishment. But his appearance does have Lance mentally raising a brow.

 

Lance gives him a sad pathetic little smile. “Yes, well I needed somewhere to drown my sorrows I guess.”

 

“Oh?” The alien raises a brow. “Troubles in life? In love? Doesn’t have anything to with your traitor boyfriend from last time does it?”

 

Keith’s voice crackles in his ear. “Wait, Lance, who is that? Is it that blue piece of shit again?”

 

Lance ignores it and gives a drawn-out sigh into his glass. “Got dumped. Just last night.”

 

“Oh, darlin’.” The guy scoots in closer. His pitying tone doesn't match his smirk. “What a shame. He’s clearly a fool for not keeping someone like you around. Then again… his kind was never the smartest when it comes to things like this.”

 

There is a growl in his ear.

 

“Guess I had to find it out the hard way. It hurts though.” He casts Don Juan a sideways look. “The sex was good.”

 

“Psst. Keith." James clearly sounds confused. "Am I missing something here?”

 

“I can tell. You still reek of him,” Don Juan frowns. Lance had figured that playing the jilted lover would be hard when he reeked of Keith’s scent but he planned for that too.

 

“I do?” Lance gasps, playing it up and sniffing at his arm. “So he scents me and then dumps me? I can't believe I still have to smell like him.”

 

The smirk is back and his good hand slides over, fingers touching the back of Lance's hand. “I could help you with that.” Lance watches those bright orange eyes flick toward the bartender. The bartender nods and suddenly appears to have pressing matters in the back.

 

“Lance forget this guy.” Keith hisses. “This isn’t what we’re here for!”

 

Lance hums. He has a gut feeling about this guy. Don Juan knows the bartender. And while it was possible this guy was just a usual haunt of the bar... wasn't it odd to find him here again when there were so few people? If this place was a source of the smuggling then it was quite the coincidence he was here again.

 

“Oh?” Lance raises an eyebrow and smiles as if intrigued by the offer. He glances down at the guy’s wrapped wrist and tries not to smirk. “You don’t even know me.”

 

“I’d certainly like to… consider it your apology for this,” he says holding up the injured hand.

 

Ugh. He continues the ruse and ignores the way Keith’s comments in his ears get more and more gravely and tight. James has gone silent and Lance wonders what Keith looks like up there, stewing on the roof, waiting for the opportunity to just barge into the place and drag this guy from his seat. He smiles at the thought.

 

Lance chats and talks and tells little half-truths about himself. Half-truths because he doesn’t want to give too much away about himself and yet the little sprinkle of truth gives it more credibility. But this guy is clearly only thinking with his dick (however many of them he wants to boast about) so he isn't too concerned.

 

“Cuba huh?” The alien says knocking back a drink. “Sounds like a nice place.”

 

“It is,” Lance smiles. “Earth has a lot of nice places. You should explore it sometime.”

 

“It is a pretty sweet planet. You don’t have any neighbors in your solar system. You’ve got water and atmosphere and it doesn’t rain acid. A lot to like.”

 

“Yeah?” Lance sips at his drink. It isn’t that bad actually but he is taking his time so he doesn’t have to accept the second drink that the bartender quietly slid next to him on the bar, nodding at Don Juan and then disappearing again. “Is that why you’re here?”

 

He gets a fanged smile. “I’m here for the reason everyone else is here.”

 

“The views? The safety?”

 

The alien snorts. “Cute. Nah, I’m here for the opportunity.”

 

Lance blinks at that. 

 

“There is a lot of good business to do on a planet like this. An untapped market for all sorts of things. And plenty of people willing to buy well less than... proper things.”

 

“Ok, this guy is definitely up to something,” James whispers.

 

“But you know there are other opportunities I’ve been keeping an eye out for…” The guy slides a strong arm around Lance’s waist and leans in. “So? Think I can do something for you about that scent?”

 

Lance fights the shudder of revulsion but doesn’t manage to fight the shudder of excitement at the snarl he hears from Keith. Don Juan (huh he still hasn’t gotten a name) seems to take it as good a sign for him and sneaks his hand under the hem of Lance’s shirt and up.

 

“Are you good, Keith?” James asks.

 

“Fine.” He doesn’t sound fine. “Lance, get him out of that bar. We’re taking him in for questioning.”

 

“Whoa, Keith, your hand-“

 

Lance tunes them out, eager to wrap this up and get this hand out of his shirt. “I think I still need to get to know you better.” He says coyly. “But my place isn’t too far from here…”

 

***

 

Lance sighs in relief when he finally gets back to his room and flops on the couch. Mission accomplished. Finally. Don Juan was sitting in a containment cell awaiting a second round of questioning. Lance had watched the first round with smug satisfaction until he realized he was still in his booty shorts and needed to get changed before the cadet in the room burst a blood vessel.

 

He peels off the shorts and flings them onto the couch. No time to shower sadly. Lance could still feel those dirty hands on his bare skin and he just wants to scrub it all off. Keith had never scented him below the collar of course and he’s a little sad that he has some rando's scent there now. Even if he can’t smell it himself.

 

Speaking of Keith though maybe he should go check on him. After coming back he left Lance and James to take care of the rest and ran off claiming he had something he needed to take care of.

 

He tugs on his respectable Garrison pants, strips his top off, and is in the middle of putting his arms through a dark undershirt when there is a metallic knock on his door. More of a bang really so it must be-

 

“It’s me,” Keith says.

 

“It's open,” Lance yells out, before realizing he's still topless in the living room.

 

The front door hisses open behind him and he hurriedly pulls the shirt on over his head. Not fast enough though. Suddenly, there is a pair of large warm hands latching onto his bare waist. He freezes, arms still up and head still in his shirt, and chokes on his spit.

 

“Wha-“ Lance splutters.

 

“It’s me,” Keith repeats and shoves the entire length of his body against Lance, chest to back… more like chest to neck at this point. Keith breathes deep, snorts in discontent, and his grip tightens.

 

Lance swallows. “Uh… yeah but what are you doing?”

 

“Scenting,” he replies as if it were obvious.

 

Maybe it was but Lance’s dumb human brain clearly can’t follow. He also can’t recall how to put his shirt on the rest of the way with Keith’s hands running up and down his exposed sides. He can’t handle how suddenly KeithKeithKeithKeith… has his hands on his bare skin. He holds his breath. It’s too much. Keith’s touch glides up a little higher and a finger glances against his nipple. Lance bites down on a sharp breath and fights the urge to arch up into it. There is something strange about his touch (other than how nice it feels) that Lance can’t place right now.

 

“C-can this wait till I put my shirt back on?” He tries, trying to step away.

 

“No. He touched you here.” Keith’s hands press into his hips and he pulls him back, enveloping him in that too big body. “He scented you. I can smell it on your skin.”

 

“It was part of the mission,” Lance tries. “It’s fi-“

 

“It is not fine. His scent on you is… It’s driving me nuts. I want to go down to the cells and rip his scent glands out.” Lance shivers as he feels Keith rub his cheek against the back of his head through the shirt. “So just shut up and….give me a minute.”

 

Lance is biting into his lip so hard he’s surprised he hasn’t broken skin yet. Keith’s hands continue to wander, brushing against his stomach, cupping the curve of his rib cage just below his chest, and then skimming back down to grip at his hips. This time the hold is… sharper and he gasps. Keith rumbles deep in his chest in response.

 

What the fuck was that? Concerned, he pulls his shirt over his head finally and brings his hand down to his hips where he can still feel little stinging pinpricks. Five on each side.

 

“You have claws,” he says dumbstruck. He stares down at the large hands roaming over his brown skin, each finger on them now tipped with thick, dark, Galra claws. Purple claws. The color looks strange on his pale hands but Lance sees several connecting purple spots on his fingers and knuckles like Keith had been writing with a particularly leaky pen.

 

“It’s not enough,” Keith huffs desperately, nudging his face into Lance’s neck now that the shirt is out of the way.

 

“Ok, Samurai easy,” Lance says, voice trembling. Keith licks at the pulse pounding in his neck. His knees quiver. Quiznak! This is out of control. He’s hard. Well, half hard but it is getting dangerously tight in his pants. He tries to will it down, hopes Keith won’t see-

 

Then pain blooms on his neck.

 

He’s so stunned it takes him a bit to realize that Keith just bit him.

 

Notes:

I heard you guys liked possessive Keith? Ditto. Happy 2021.

Chapter 13

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

It honestly isn't that bad.

 

Lance carefully inspects his neck in the mirror. He prods at the indents there and... Ouch. Ok yeah, it hurts. The skin isn’t broken but Lance can tell it was close. It will probably bruise like a bitch. Whatever. It will be easy to hide under his uniform collar. He lifts his shirt to inspect the little cuts on his hips where Keith’s claws had nicked him. These did break skin but already they’ve stopped bleeding. Won’t even need a bandaid. 

 

“Well, I’ll live,” he declares. Just to himself because the moment Keith became aware of what he was doing (using Lance as a chew toy) he’d flung himself from Lance so fast he almost toppled over backward on the coffee table. He looked stunned, mouth hanging open and making funny sounds as if he couldn’t find the words to explain. Finally, he mumbled what Lance thinks was a “sorry” and bolted out the door.

 

Which… ok yeah that was fair. Lance still doesn’t know what he could say to that. There is nothing in the encyclopedia that describes biting (other than you know the fatal sort). This was… different. Something not in Coran’s research.

 

Lance sighs. He feels like he’s trying to put together a 1000 piece puzzle and Keith is hiding the last corner piece from him. And he knows he is hiding it. The look on his face and the apology… There was something more Krolia told him.

 

He collapses on the couch, trying to process the insanity of the day. Even trying to take a mental checklist is exhausting. Mission. Don Juan. Keith flips out. Scents him so hard he has to bites his neck and grow claws? His head is reeling and it makes it difficult for him to try and get his things straight.

 

He rubs his fingers over his neck and shudders. If he had to guess… it had to do with the scenting. Which Keith said was a comfort thing. Bonds and all that. But there had to be more to it right? When Lance thinks about the way Keith gripped his hips… the way he was so desperate to erase all traces of foreign alien scent on him… it all felt very possessive. Territorial. Galra. Like when you lick a candy bar in front of someone to show it was yours and no you weren’t sharing it.

 

Lance grabs a couch pillow and hugs it to his chest.

 

Was he Keith’s candy bar?

 

And if so… was there something more to Keith’s actions? The way his instincts were reacting? Did Keith maybe… like him?

 

Lance's cheeks tingle with heat and a goofy smile spreads across his face at the thought. There was that gooey feeling in his core that hit whenever he thought about Keith ever returning his feelings.

 

That feeling of being in love.

 

It wasn’t like Lance was unaware of it. His own feelings anyway. Those feelings of envy, bitterness, and anger over Keith’s skill and looks had long since crossed the line to admiration, affection, and warmth. What was once a childish rivalry, born out of feeling like he was second-rate, turned into something unexpected out there in space. Much to his annoyance.

 

He was no stranger to it. Liking someone. It was nice to feel his heart pound a little faster and harder. The way the excitement warmed his body. He liked chasing those feelings. It was why fell into crushes with a pretty guy or gal so easily. Then flirt with them in the hopes that just maybe they might return the sentiment.

 

Usually, they didn’t. Sometimes they would tie him to a tree and then steal his robot cat. Most times they just… didn’t like him that way.

 

That was where those feelings stopped feeling so nice. Where imagining more just made his heart ache once he knew how impossible it was.

 

That was where he was Keith. And unlike past times… these feelings just weren’t going away. 

 

He turns over and hides his face in the pillow, takes a deep breath to bring his thoughts back to reality. Yeah. There was no way that was what was going on. Even if it made sense in his thoughts… it was more likely wishful thinking. His heart was doing the talking. Not his brain. As per usual.

 

Even so, his fingers find the marks on his hips. He feels the way Keith marked him in a way he can actually see and feel. With claws! Just for a moment, he imagines it all means what he wants. Just for a little bit until he tracks down Keith and-

 

His dataPAD pings and he jumps like he had his hand in his pants (which ok yeah it was headed that way). Reaching for the tablet he sees the message and it isn’t Keith.

 

It’s Krolia.

 

The Marmora has arrived early.

 

***

 

Lance runs into the hangar just as the ship lands. Only a few cadets are idling around the place. The ones that pulled the short straw and got the late-night shift. None of them pay any attention to the ship save for Keith who is already there, hands shoved in his pockets and hair whipping around as the engines slowly power down.

 

He comes up next to Keith, staring at the ship as they wait for the Marmora to exit. The other paladin tenses up slightly, shoulders rigid and stiff.

 

It feels like they’re both holding their breath, trying not to drown in the awkward silence. Lance wants to say something, anything, to break the tension but he has nothing. For once his brain can supply nothing for his big fat mouth to say. Not even something simple like “hey” or stupid like “wanna see your dental records?”. 

 

So it is a surprise when Keith finally says something first.

 

“Are you okay?” The other paladin whispers, having to bend at the knees to do so properly.

 

Lance glances up at him. He sees amber-flecked eyes staring intently in concern at where Lance’s collar covers the spot on his neck.

 

“It hurts.” Keith’s eyes go wide, gold flaring, and Lance hastily assures him. “But just a little! Didn’t even break skin! So it's fine! Just one more Galra thing to figure out right?”

 

The other paladin’s expression is grim still, his jaw rigid. “You don’t understand. It’s not fine, Lance.” He sighs and shakes his head. “Not at all.”

 

Lance put a hand on his hips. “Maybe I would understand if you weren’t holding out on me. ”

 

Keith scowls and folds his arms. Ah. He knows that look. Whenever Lance starts winning one of their arguments he gets that grumpy ‘I-know-you’re-right-but-I-don’t-want-to-admit-it’ look where his lips press together and his jaw juts out a little. But instead of grumpy he just looks… uncomfortable. Embarrassed even judging by the slight flush of his cheeks and nose.

 

“It’s… not easy to talk about it.”

 

Was it really that embarrassing?

 

He groans. "Krolia is going to kill me."

 

"What?"

 

He doesn’t get the chance to pester Keith further. Krolia steps off the ship, all seven-foot whatever of her marching straight toward the two of them.

 

As she comes close her expression does a funny thing. Her nose wrinkles as if she walked by a particularly ripe garbage can and her eyes narrow at the two of them. It reminds Lance a bit of his own mother when he's in trouble. She stops and stares down at them. I’m not mad, just disappointed is what her face says. Must be a universal mom thing. Lance fidgets under it until he realizes that it is entirely focused on Keith, not him.

 

“What did I say when we last spoke, Keith?” she demands.

 

Keith sags a little. “I explained the situation to him.”

 

She raises a brow at Keith and glances at Lance. Lance just blinks, unsure exactly of what they’re referring to.

 

“He is practically drowning in your scent,” she snaps. Lance perks at that. Ah. Scenting. Again. “His own scent is practically nonexistent under it. If you had truly explained everything then you wouldn’t feel the need to do that!”

 

“Er… hang on,” Lance starts, still a few steps behind in the conversation but he needs to come to Keith’s defense. “Keith has explained scenting to me and its importance. I gave him permission to scent me. If it calms him then-”

 

Sharp critical yellow eyes snap to him and he clams up. “It does not matter. I made it clear to Keith that he was not allowed to go out of his way to scent you under any circumstances until-”

 

“Mom.” Both Lance and Krolia turn to look at Keith in shock. Lance had never heard Keith actually call Krolia “mom”. His cheeks are pink as he looks at her pleadingly. “Please. Not right now.”

 

Krolia purses her lips and looks hard between them. “We will address this later.” Her eyes settle on Keith again, expression softening slightly. “We have our best physician waiting to examine you.”

 

“Now?” Keith asks.

 

“Now,” she confirms. “The sooner we figure out what we are dealing with the better we can address future changes.”

 

Keith nods and heads toward the ship. Lance naturally follows but stops short when a muscled arm is held in his way.

 

“I am afraid I can’t allow you to come,” Krolia says. “This is… private.” Lance opens his mouth. Closes it. He tries to brush off the bucket of reality dropped on him and laughs stiffly.

 

“Oh yeah, for sure,” he says, taking a few steps back. His brain has gone fuzzy. Suddenly he’s on the outside again. Like always. Keith has better than just him flailing about with an ancient encyclopedia and his own stupid observations. He wasn’t needed any-

 

“No. I want him there.”

 

Lance’s head snaps up at that. Keith is right there, gazing down at him.  

 

Krolia frowns. “Keith, that is-“

 

"Lance is my second-in-command and friend." Keith straightens and only now does Lance realize how much the height difference between mother and son has started to dwindle. His voice is firm as he speaks. "He's been there for me every step of the way the last few months and I want him beside me now.”

 

His heart beats faster. His skin flushes a little warmer. He thinks about the visible marks on his skin and his thoughts wander back to his theories. He wants me by his side. It's a good feeling as he grins up at Keith and gets a small smile in return. Maybe this time...

 

"Very well," Krolia sighs. "Since the paladin is a special case he can be present." She bears her teeth. "But you are to speak of nothing that happens within that room is that understood?"

 

Lance frantically salutes. "Crystal." 

 

Both paladins follow after Krolia onto the ship, shoulder to shoulder. A few Galra glance at them as they go down the halls softly lit in glowing purple. They all wrinkle their noses or give sneaky little grins. One even whistles and says something in Galra to Keith who just growls and drifts a little closer to Lance. A hand, indeed still clawed and speckled, gently holds Lance's hand by his fingertips. Lance squeezes back. 

 

If Krolia notices she doesn't say anything.

 

Notes:

Next chapter is the world's weirdest doctor visit.

Chapter 14

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Hmmm… interesting… interesting! How strange.”

 

Lance stands off to the side and watches as a tall lanky Galra doctor hems and haws over a large holo display with a jumble of symbols and things Lance can’t decipher.

 

It was remarkably quick. They pricked Keith’s finger, swept a weird lighted baton over his body like a metal detector, and swabbed his mouth. Then they just plugged all of that into the computer and boom, the data rolled in. Easy. Galra tech. Must be nice. The Garrison doctors insisted on old-fashioned poking and prodding and sticking your tongue out type of stuff.    

 

Despite the speed and ease of it all, Keith looks extremely uncomfortable seated at the examination table, jaw clenching tighter at each hum and word as the doctor looks over what is going on inside him. The purple light of the holo screen makes his pale skin look more lilac than normal.

 

“Lokos,” Krolia address the doctor, arms folded. “If you could enlighten us.”

 

“Oh. Oh! Yes!” The doctor looks away from the holo screen. “Apologizes. This is all just very exciting. You are the first human-Galra hybrid and the fact that we have such thorough records to mark the extent of the change-“

 

“Lokos,” Krolia sighs this time and the doctor clams up. He seems like a little bit of a scatterbrain.

 

“Let’s see… where to start?” Lokos hums in thought.

 

“How long will these changes go on? What other things will change? Can you stop it?” Keith asks, voice snappish and a little frustrated. Understandable considering the circumstances. Lance steps a little closer. Keith tracks the movement and his expression softens as if just Lance being there helps. Well, he hopes it does.

 

“That is all, indeed, hard to say. Projections for the future are a little muddy… so let us just go over the current things and then we will go over what you can expect to see change further. As for stopping it…” He rubs a hand over his purple chin, a wispy white goatee going on there. “No. That would be unwise. Galra puberties are notoriously… explosive. Like a runaway Gloron.”

 

The analogy is lost on both Lance and Keith but Krolia nods as if that explained it well enough so they roll with it.

 

“So that's what is happening to Keith?” Lance interjects, jumping a little as two pairs of yellow eyes and Keith’s partially yellow eyes look at him. He’d been mostly silent throughout the procedure and he guesses they didn’t expect him to have anything to say. He goes to stand behind Keith a little more. “It's uh… Galra puberty?”

 

“Yes,” Lokos says. “Galra puberty does not happen till after our twentieth cycle. Which I understand is much later than humans.”

 

“Yeah.” Lance thinks back to sixth grade and freaking out about the hair growing in weird places and asking his mom if he was turning into a werewolf. And the acne. And of course the embarrassing out of nowhere boners he popped during middle school and basic cadet training. Puberty was a bitch. So an alien one had to be a real pain in the ass.

 

The doctor nods and types a note on his screen. “During this time hormones and pheromones run at an all-time high as growth in height, muscle density, and libido increases significantly. Secondary characteristics such as markings, scales, and further development of genital features-“

 

Keith makes a long-suffering groan and glances at Lance. Their eyes meet and both look away.  Lance wills himself to not think about that even as his cheeks warm. Nope. Nope, don’t think about Keith’s dick. Don’t pop a boner. So awkward.

 

Lokos doesn’t seem to sense the awkward and continues. “-which I understand has already been noted, correct?”

 

Lance blinks at that. Oh no. Too late. He’s thinking about Keith’s dick.

 

“Wait. You never mentioned that to me,” he huffs, hands on his hips.

 

Keith folds his arms and scowls, cheeks flushed. “You said you couldn’t find much on the subject in the encyclopedia so I just… didn’t mention it.”

 

“Lame,” Lance says but drops it. He’s thinking about the hidden stash of alien porn novels he accidentally discovered when he was thirteen at Uncle Jules for Thanksgiving. Most of the covers sported gravity-defying busty alien chicks with tentacle hair and split open unitard swooning over a lantern-jawed astronaut. Some had alien dudes. He flipped through them in secret and discovered how many ways a horny human brain could fantasize what an alien penis looked like. Bumpy? Prehensile? Tentacle? Knots? Bigger than his arm?

 

Did any of that apply to Keith?

 

He shakes his head. If he thinks about it any further he’s going to pass out from how fast his blood rushes south.

 

“We can discuss that later,” Krolia says helpfully. “What does this puberty mean for Keith?”

 

“Yes, well it is interesting.” Lokos nods. “You were born with little to no Galra features despite being half. And you had normal human puberty as well.” He taps his holo screen and what appears to be a diagnostic report pops up.  “When you first joined the Blade of Marmora you underwent a standard exam. From the research I’ve gathered, your body was wholly human save for a somewhat denser bone structure and a fast heart rate, common for Galra.”

 

Lokos taps the screen again and it shifts to another report. “This is from your check-up months ago after returning to Earth. The Garrison was uh... kind enough to release it to me. They noted that your heart appeared to be enlarged and high blood pressure but nothing remarkable. You were taller of course too.”

 

“Not weird in humans for that amount of time,” Lance pipes up.

 

“Indeed,” Lokos says. “But now…” He taps it again. “This is your current diagnostics and well… you obviously know what is going on.”

 

Lokos lists out a lot of things Lance and Keith had already seen with their own eyes. Claws, fangs, third eyelid, and the haywire instincts apparently common during puberty. Then the gold flashing eyes (which will eventually turn permanent at some point according to him) and of course the famous Galra size.

 

“Dude, you’re 6’5 now?” Lance gapes at the only thing he can actually read on the screen. Last they checked it was 6’4.

 

Krolia nods. “Still short for Galra but judging by his genetic markers…” He points at something on the screen that Lance can only assume is said genetic markers. “… We can expect it to continue.”

 

“My mother was well over eight feet,” Krolia says with a hint of pride. “Almost nine.”

 

“Wonderful,” Keith growls, brows furrowed. Lance places a hand on Keith's shoulder

 

“Isn’t this all… fast though?” Lance asks in concern. “All of this is happening within just a few months. Is Keith going to be ok?”

 

Lokos hums. “The sudden production of Galra hormones has activated his dormant Galra genes. It had already begun long before your return to Earth. Now his body is starting to show the results of it and is changing accordingly.” He looks at Keith. “How much do you eat during a meal?”

 

Lance snorts and answers before Keith can say anything. “Sometimes it seems like he can eat three whole cows a day.”

 

Keith turns to glare at him which results in his cheek pressing against Lance’s hand. It’s warm and Lance’s heart thuds as Keith slightly nuzzles it in surprise, as if he didn't expect it but not about to turn down the opportunity to scent him.

 

The doctor raises a brow and glances at Krolia who simply scowls and shakes her head. He nods and continues. “That would be the increased metabolism. I might prescribe some extra vitamins and encourage more meat in your diet to keep up. Otherwise, I see no risks to Keith's health.”

 

That at least placates some of Lance’s concerns and he sighs in relief and gently pulls his hand away. Krolia is still looking at them funny and it makes him nervous.

 

“So what you’re telling me is you expect these changes to get worse?” Keith asks, sliding off the exam table now that he doesn’t need to be there.

 

“Not worse.” Lokos frowns. “It is simply a part of who you are. But yes. I would expect you to grow at least another few inches still and these spots.” He taps Keith’s splotchy lilac hands with a long claw. “Will spread and connect. Ah and the jaw pain you mentioned? Your adult fangs will be coming in soon.”

 

“My what?” Keith exclaims as Lance’s mouth goes dry.

 

The screen shifts again and shows a scan and-

 

“Holy shit is that an x-ray of your head?” Lance shouts. It looks like a dentist's worst nightmare. A jumble of large white pointed things (fangs!), an entire set of them, are there in Keith’s head so very close to the blunt human pair currently occupying his mouth.

 

“Expect to lose some teeth soon,” Lokos says, this time apologetic. “Galra lose their baby fangs rather young so this part is unique to your human/Galra genes.”

 

Keith stares at the doctor but looks like he’s lookin past him, millions of miles away, gaping right into space. It’s a lot. This isn’t even about Lance and it is a lot. Lance doesn’t think Keith will cry, too macho for it, but the way he swallows hard and his hands flex and clench tell him that he’s overwhelmed. Lance wonders if maybe they should take another trip to the beach after this. Maybe he could just let loose and scream out into the sea.

 

That’s what Lance would do.

 

He gently touches Keith’s hand. “You think the tooth fairy will give you extra cash for this?” Lance whispers.

 

The stupid joke seems to bring Keith back. “Shut up,” he says.

 

“If she does I think I’m entitled to like half.”

 

“Shut up!” Keith says a little firmer, his lips in a half curl.

 

Lokos continues.

 

He explains that Galra have a wide range of features that vary. But of course, all of those depend on parentage and thankfully they have a fairly detailed record of Krolia and her parents' genealogy. So there shouldn’t be any tails or scales or anything like that. Good. Lance doesn't know if his heart could handle that.

 

“On that note though would you mind pulling back your hair?” Lokos shuffles a little closer. “I’d like to check something.”

 

Keith hesitates for a moment then slowly pulls his thick mess of hair back. Lance hadn’t seen the ponytail in a long while (it helps hide the spots on his neck) and god he must be out of his mind if just the sight of Keith’s bare neck gets his heart going.

 

Lokos leans in close pushes more hair back from Keith's ears.

 

“Ah looks like they’re already starting to taper a bit.”

 

"Oh my god," Lance whispers, mouth open. "You're turning into an elf."

 

***

 

"Here." Lance hands a bottle to Keith. "Water."

 

Keith takes it. "Thanks," he says and downs almost half the bottle, plastic crumpling under his grip. He sighs, slouching back into his chair, head tilted back and arm limply laid over his eyes. They're in some kind of small meeting room, the only one on the ship, taking a breather after the bombshell of information. Krolia told them to take their time and glanced meaningfully at Keith.

 

"Well..." Lance begins. "We know more now. At least."

 

"Yeah." Keith's voice is rough. "We know that soon I'll look almost completely Galra."

 

Lance stands and fidgets with the bandage at his neck. He can't bring himself to sit. "Does that... bother you so much?"

 

Keith lifts his arm up slightly and the bright feverish yellow eyes peering at him make the hairs on Lance's neck stand on end.  

 

"I don't know," he replies finally, arm coming back down. "I guess some part of me hoped that by the end of all of this I'd could at least... blend in I guess. Most people at the Garrison don't even know I'm Galra. That won't be the case anymore. It made things... easier. I guess."

 

"You're worried about how they might react?"

 

"Not just the Garrison but the entire universe. They'll see me, another Galra as the black paladin, and assume the worst. I don't want to bring the rest of you down with me." He pauses. "Maybe Shiro-"

 

"No," Lance says cutting off that thought. "No. Shiro isn't the black paladin anymore. You are." He chuckles lightly. "Besides. They've already started making us all new paladin uniforms. We'll finally be color-coded." 

 

Keith snorts at that and then stills.

 

"Does... does it bother you?" 

 

Lance finally sits and tugs his chair closer to Keith so their side by side, almost shoulder to shoulder. Has he ever taken the opportunity to do this first? Probably not. He's human and doesn't have any reason to. But he has to try. He sets his head on Keith's arm and slowly nuzzles and rubs his cheek against his bicep.

 

"You know it doesn't."

 

The sharp sound Keith makes is almost pained Lance thinks he's done something wrong.

 

"Uh... am I not doing this right?" Lance asks, feeling silly, ready to pull away.

 

Instead, Keith turns so that he's facing Lance and his hand comes up and cups the back of Lance's head. The red paladin almost falls face-first into Keith's chest, stopped only by his palms braced on bulky shoulders.

 

"Lance." Keith starts, staring at him. "Lance I... uh haven't been totally honest about the scenting thing."

 

Lance looks up at him and raises a brow. "Yeah, no shit."

 

Keith blinks. "You..."

 

"Keith. I'm not the genius on the team. I'm very dumb. But I knew something more was going on. I just don't know what. So I need you to just tell me what..." He motions to the bandage on his neck. "... what all this means."

 

"Scenting is done... with those that are close to you."

 

Lance nods encouragingly. "Like family. Or friends."

 

"Yes," Keith confirms but shakes his head. "But the scenting I've been doing with you... is neither of those. Galra also scent those they want. It is a mark of... possession."

 

Lance's heart is pounding. Oh no. Oh Voltron. The space between them feels charged. Explosive. Keith's gaze is intense, determined as if he knows he has to do something but really doesn't want to.  He feels like he's at the top of a big roller coaster, waiting for the drop, and isn't sure if he'll like it. 

 

Keith continues. "But it wasn't enough. It was half-assed because I was constantly fighting with myself. The human and rational part of me knew that you didn't understand what I was doing and that it wasn't right. But the Galra part... it drove me crazy to not do it. I tried to compromise. Scent you just enough but it was never actually enough. When that asshole scented you and flirted with you it just made it worse. My scent on you wasn't enough to satisfy me. So... I bit you. A visible claim. Galra pairs usually only do that when..."

 

He trails off as if he can't bear to keep going. But he's warm. And breathing hard. Wait, no. That was Lance. He was the one breathing hard. Lance wants to beat on that stupidly muscular chest and demand he continue. No more half-truths and leaving things out. No more hiding things about himself!

 

At this point, Lance isn't sure if he's thinking about just Galra things anymore.

 

"I was acting instinctively on feelings..." Keith looks down and places his clawed hands over Lance's dark neatly manicured ones. "... I already had."

 

Lance's heart stops. 

 

"Lance, I think I lo... I think I like you." Keith splutters and fumbles. "A lot. A lot. Romant-"

 

His heart swoops. Fuck it. Just fuck all of it. Lance feels like a complete moron. He had been so blind to the obvious. Been so close to the truth but dismissed it. They'd both been dancing around this harder than a tango and it feels like it has taken years to get to this point.

 

So fuck it. Lance pushes off his chair. He throws his arms around Keith. And kisses him right on his stupid Galra mouth. 

 

Notes:

Sorry about the Galra biology lesson. I just made shit up that I think is cool. Look forward to those fangs.

Chapter 15

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

For a second Lance’s stomach drops and he thinks he’s entirely misread everything.

 

Keith freezes solid under the firm press of Lance’s lips. Oh fuck, did he just ruin this? Did he ruin everything? He couldn’t help it! He was so sure at that moment that he just had to kiss Keith or he’d explode! But as usual he got too cocky. Maybe Keith meant some other weird Galra  “like”.

 

You’ve fucked it up yet again McClain, he thinks sourly.

 

He starts to pull away, mortified, but he doesn’t get far. Strong hands clench down on his hips and pull him back in. Their grip tightens and a large tongue presses against Lance's mouth. Keith doesn’t waste time waiting for those plush lips to open up for him as he kisses right back tenfold. His tongue slips in; warm, wet, and desperate. It is as if Keith were in the desert and Lance is holding the last gulp of water in his mouth.

 

Thank Voltron. Lance throws his arms around Keith’s neck. His heart soars and the panic settles. He feels like he could fly right off the ground if it weren’t for the unyielding hold Keith has on him.

 

“Fuck,” Lance mumbles against under the assault off Keith’s lips. He squeaks as a tooth scrapes his lower lip. Already overwhelmed he stumbles back slightly, butt hitting the edge of the meeting table.

 

“Sorry,” Keith breathes and begins nuzzling against Lance’s temple and hair, scenting without restraint. One hand moves to brace himself against the table. The other stays on Lance’s hips, squeezing and kneading at the softness.

 

“S’kay,” Lance sighs, fingers carding at the curled edges of hair at Keith’s nape. “You do your funky Galra thing. I’m into it.” He thinks for a moment as Keith starts a rumbling purr and huffs into Lance’s ear. “Also uh… me too. In case that kiss wasn’t clear. I like you. For what feels like forever now. Despite my best efforts not to.”

 

“Not to?” Keith asks, voice a little growly. He sounds distracted like he can’t be bothered with anything other than rubbing every bit of himself over Lance.

 

“I thought it would make it weird you know? Thought I would ruin our… thing. Friendship? Whatever it is. You never showed interest in those sort of things so I juuu-argh! Did you just bite my earlobe?!”

 

“Got a little carried away,” Keith laughs, entirely unapologetic as he kisses the spot. “The other Marmora were giving me shit when we came on board. They could smell the scenting. It’s been driving me crazy…” He sighs. “It feels good to do this.”

 

“Yeah, well you better not get “carried away” when those chompers turn into fucking knives!” He won’t admit (yet) that the idea kind of excites him. He sighs.

 

Keith just hums, sounding so fucking pleased with himself, that Lance allows himself to be pulled in again when Keith resumes his attack on his mouth. They have so much more they need to discuss and figure out but Lance can’t think. The panting breaths between them and warmth blooming in him fogs up his brain. This time Keith lets his hands roam Lance’s body, touching under his shirt and ghosting fingertips over his bare skin. They’re infinitely gentle, almost reverent, at his neck where the bandaged bite is.

 

"Sorry, about this," Keith murmurs. "I could have really hurt you doing that if I did have fangs."

 

“My weak human neck wouldn't be able to handle it?" Lance snorts a laugh. "It better not scar my flawle-“ He groans at a soft suckle at his neck. “Quit distracting me. I don’t know what your growly Galra brain is up to but we need to talk still!”

 

Keith's purr rumbles deep as his hand coasts down to his ass finger dipping beneath the waistband. Lance isn’t idle either as one hand slides down Keith’s chest and muscled stomach to his d-

 

“Keith- ah.”

 

Krolia quirks a scrutinizing look at that them from the open doorway. Keith leaps away so fast that Lance falls back flat on the table. He almost hits his head on the surface.

 

The Galra woman looks between them, her mouth a thin line.

 

“Keith,” she begins tersely, and Lance can hear the scolding ready on her lips.

 

“It’s ok!” Lance shouts, sitting up. “He explained! For real this time! I uh…” He flushes, embraced to be saying this to Keith’s mom of all people. “It's cool. I feel the same so…”

 

Krolia’s yellow eyes glare at Keith who looks back, shoulders stiff. Keith nods slowly. She sniffs and then relaxes finally and Lance swears there is the slightest hint of a smile on her face.

 

“Good. That does not mean we will not talk but… I am…” Oh yeah, definitely a tiny smile now. “… Happy that it worked out.”

 

“Me too,” Lance grins, winking at Keith. He can’t help it. Keith’s touch still simmers under his skin and in his bones. He wants nothing more than to continue what they just started. He wonders how he can politely ask his maybe-soon-to-be-boyfriend’s mom if she can leave so he can get her son to at least second base.

 

Keith frowns but flushes hotly as he gazes at Lance. Keith clears his throat and looks at Krolia. “Is there something you needed to discuss?”

 

“Yes. The other paladins are here. They are demanding to see you and be let aboard.”

 

Oh hell. All thoughts of continuing their little moment evaporate. Cock blocked by his own friends. Lance glances at Keith. He’s gone stiff again, jaw so tight Lance swears he can the muscles there twitch with tension. It almost looks like he’s holding his breath. Then the space between his thick brows pinches and his expression turns pensive.

 

“Did they so why they want to see me?” Keith asks.

 

“No. They did not. They just appear very concerned and the green paladin is threatening to  hack the ship if we do not let them in.”

 

Typical Pidge. “How do they even know we’re here?” Lance asks, more out loud to himself than anyone.

 

“I am not sure.”

 

Lance huffs, ready to have them sent away. “Tell them-“

 

“Let them aboard,” Keith interrupts, stunning Lance and Krolia too from the look on her face.

 

“What?” He looks Keith up and down to note the big clawed purple hands and bright amber eyes. There would be no explaining this away. There would be no putting the giant purple cat back in the bag. “But-“

 

Keith sighs. “If the truth is going to come out I want it to be on my terms. And I want to be the one to tell them.”

 

“Are you sure?” Lance asks, stomach fluttering at the conviction in Keith’s words and eyes.

 

“Yeah,” Keith says, blinking as if surprised at his own confidence. “I am. As their leader, I owe them this.”

 

“And as their friend,” Lance grins.

 

Keith huffs. “Yeah, that too.”

 

“I’ll instruct the others to let them aboard,” Krolia says with a nod.

 

Now, Lance is only well versed in reading his own mom’s micro-expressions… but he swears at that moment Krolia looks a little proud.

 

 

Hunk is the first to enter the meeting room and he looks relieved to see Keith and Lance at the head of the room and smiles. The expression falters a bit though as his eyes flick over Keith, particularly his hands and face.

 

“Oh,” he says.

 

“Oh, indeed! Fascinating!” Coran chirps from behind him.

 

The rest of the paladins file in after, accompanied by Shiro.

 

“What the fuck?” Pidge says next, upon meeting Keith’s eyes. “What-

 

“I’m gonna stop you there,” Lance says, holding a hand up and studying their various expressions of surprise and shock. “Why are you- wait hang on how did you know we were here?”

 

“James was asking around for you after your mission,” Allura says, studying Keith’s new features (not with disgust or disdain Lance notes in relief) but with interest and curiosity. “He said that you were acting… strange but refused to share any details. I suppose we now know.”

 

“That got us worried and we wanted to make sure everything was okay. Nadia saw you guys heading down here,” Shiro explains, looking Keith up and down in shock. “From there it wasn’t too difficult to guess where you were.“

 

“We were worried that something was wrong with Keith,” Hunk sighs, looking right at the black paladin. “You’d been acting off lately and well…” He trails off, glancing at Pidge.

 

“Whatever, clearly he’s fine,” she snorts and then blinks as if a thought came over her. “You are okay right?”

 

“Pidge in particular was really worried,” Coran says with a knowing nod.

 

“No, I wasn’t!” She protests hotly, plopping into a seat at the meeting table to sulk, arms folded up high on her chest. “He’d been acting weird for like a month so I just thought-“

 

Hunk gives a wide grin. “She thought you were dying or something and was freaking out.”

 

“Shut up!”

 

“It’s ok Pidge,” Lance chuckles. “We all know deep down under those glasses and tech that you’re a big softie.”

 

Lance glances at Keith and can’t help skip of his heart the fond little half-smile on Keith’s face. His golden eyes are soft. He also looks relieved, posture relaxed, as if he had been bracing himself for one of them to run screaming from the room in terror at the sight of him.    

 

“Thanks for worrying about me Pidge,” Keith teases with a smirk. "I knew you cared."

 

The smallest paladin just slouches further in her chair.

 

"So... your eyes. And the hands... whoa are those claws?" Hunk says in awe. "When did all this start to happen? During the mission?"

 

"Or perhaps earlier!" Coran says suddenly. "Is this why you asked for the enyclopedia?"

 

Lance and Keith share a quick glance.

 

“Uh… why don’t you all sit?" Lance suggests. "Explaining this might take a while.”

 

They sit, a rainbow of expectant eyes on the two of them. Keith opens his mouth and then closes it. His brows furrow in thought and Lance decides he’ll have to kick this off after all.

 

“I’ll start first,” Lance says. “Sooooo… you guys remember months ago during that first training session from hell?”

 

Notes:

Short one this time. Sorry. But hey we're getting somewhere. Maybe I can justify that rating soon.

Chapter 16

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“And that's how we figured out what was going on,” Lance finishes, slouching into his chair and breath whooshing out all at once. “So yeah. Now Keith is going to be the giant purple cat alien he already is deep down inside. The end.”

 

The rest of team Voltron have various expressions on their face as Lance and Keith finish. Several months of observations and drama condensed into their rambling story. No one even interrupted to ask a question.

 

Lance glances at Keith, whose expression is carefully neutral as he waits for… well whatever the others will say. He knows they’ll accept Keith no matter what but he’s sure they’ll have the same concerns they do. Like being the black paladin or working with the Garrison or if the Alliance will -

 

“Do you suppose you’ll grow a tail?” Coran asks, eyes wide in interest.

 

Keith blinks. “What?”

 

“I was totally just about to ask the same thing!” Hunk exclaims slapping the table.

 

“I absolutely hate that you’re going to get even taller.” Pidge grumps, arms folded. "Can I inject myself with Galra genes?"

 

Lance looks around at them all. “Uh….”

 

“Do you suppose this doctor would be willing to share some of his data?” Allura asks, a finger tapping against her chin. “Once we defeat Honerva. I would be interested to help look into this more too…”

 

“Seriously?” Keith asks in exasperation. “These are the things you’re concerned about?”

 

They all glance around at each other.

 

“Keith,” Shiro begins, in the most dad of voices. “Did you really expect us to… reject you just because of this? Your Galra blood is part of who you are.”

 

“But… you’re fine with it?” Keith looks at all of them. “With me still being your leader?”

 

“Of course,” Allura smiles. “You stumbled a bit here and there but you have grown into a fine black paladin and leader of Voltron. I can’t think of anyone else who could do it.”

 

“Well, actually I bet I…” Lance began haughtily before being leveled with a rainbow glare from her. “Kidding! I’m kidding!”

 

“If you’re worried about the Garrison and Alliance…” Shiro guesses correctly. “Then don’t. When you’re ready I’ll make sure to do my best to rally support for you. There are already others who support the Marmora. And those that have a problem.. well like it or not you are the black paladin and they can’t take that from you.”

 

“Yeah!” Pidge agrees. “Besides there were too many boring regular human people on the team anyway.”

 

Lance feels like he’s going to cry for Keith. Cause, again, he’s too macho to do it himself and someone has to cry tears of joy or this won’t be the touching moment it totally is. The overwhelming support is all he could have hoped for. Keith looks relieved, a tiny smile on his face. Lance grips his hand and grins at him. Hell yeah. This was the best-case scenario and he couldn’t be more pleased after months of hiding and sneaking around.

 

“Soo... there's nothing else?”

 

Lance blinks and looks up at Hunk. Everyone else goes quiet and all eyes are on the yellow paladin. Hunk is starting at the table, unable to meet… well just Lance’s gaze apparently.

 

“What do you mean?” Keith asks, arms folded.

 

“I mean… you don’t have anything else to tell us?” Hunk’s big puppy dog eyes flick up to glance at Lance, almost pleadingly.

 

Pleading for what though Lance can’t begin to guess. What more did Hunk expect? Actually, it looks they all were expecting something, as the other paladins all glance meaningfully at each other. Damn. Lance hates that look when he isn’t in the loop. It always meant that there was something everyone but him was getting.

 

Thankfully, Keith is just as baffled as the two of them share their own befuddled look.

 

“No?” Lance says, scratching at the edge of the bandage on his neck. “I mean… I’m pretty sure we only have one giant bombshell of an announcement…”

 

“Oh,” Hunk sighs.  “Sorry. I just uh… this is a huge deal of course but I was wondering if there was something… more. That you wanted to tell us?” Hunk’s cheeks are flushed dark but he almost looks sad? No wait… dejected? “You know you can tell m-us… anything.”

 

“Hunk...” Shiro starts but Hunk quickly chuckles and waves his hand in the air as if to dispel his words from it.

 

“Haha sorry,” Hunk says. “Ignore me. I was wrong.”

 

Lance frowns, a little concerned about his best buddy. Does he have to check on Hunk down in the engineering labs later? Lance studies Hunk carefully, wracking his brain for some kind of explanation. He better not also be turning into an alien.

 

Whatever it is, he makes a note to bring some of his mama’s mole with him to cheer Hunk up and pry what is bothering his buddy out of him.

 

With all of that out of the way, it turns into an impromptu Paladin meeting as they put together a game plan. They agree to keep Keith’s transformation a secret until after launch. In less than a week, they would be aboard the ATLAS and soaring through space far away. Even if the Garrison or Alliance didn’t approve of Keith's manifesting features there would be very little either could do about it until they got back anyway. Dealing with what was left of the empire and rescuing the rest of the Alteans Lotor brainwashed was more important. It would avoid some of the drama hopefully. 

 

By the time all of that is figured out it is way late and Shiro suggests they all get some shut-eye.

 

Which, god, yes, please. Lance feels like he could sleep for a week.

 

They all go their separate ways, most heading up to their rooms, but Keith is snagged by Krolia before he can leave the ship.

 

“A moment Keith?” She asks seriously, her tone and furrowed brow (so much like Keith) indicating that it is not a request.

 

“Of course,” Keith says, and glances at Lance. “You go ahead.”

 

Lance purses his lips. Actually, fuck sleep. He isn’t letting Keith slip away that easy.

 

“No worries,” he says. “I can hang in the hangar.”

 

“It might take a while.”

 

Lance folds his arms. “I’ll wait.”

 

A small little smirk tilts Keith’s mouth. “Ok.” Then something flashes in Keith’s eyes, like the fleeting shadow of a predator darting through the woods. “I’ll come get you.”

 

The giddy little squeal in his throat would be very embarrassing in front of Krolia so he swallows it down and just nods.

 

***

 

Lance paces restlessly in front of the hangar doors.

 

Keith likes me. Keith likes me! Now that things have been talked out and addressed that is the only real coherent thought in his brain as he waits for Keith. He’s alone, the hallway deserted, and all he can focus on is the feel of where those clawed hands were. He can feel the bite of teeth and press of lips. The warm touch on bare skin…

 

He shudders and sighs, leaning back against the wall. He wants to chase the memory of it with his own hands but even he isn’t that shameless. Empty hallway or not. 

 

Are they done yet? It’s been like forever… well ok it’s been thirty minutes. But it feels like forever! He wants Keith here. Wants him now. To have Keith come up behind all sneaky like and wrap his large body around him. Would Keith do that? They kissed and confessed so it isn’t like that would be totally out of the question. His stomach flutters pleasantly. He feels like he’s been reduced to a happily quivering pile of mush. It's so wonderful. To have his feelings and desires reciprocated. To be loved back.

 

It just makes every moment waiting out here all the more painful.

 

“Oh, hey, McClain? You alright?”

 

Lance’s eyes fly open (when did he close them?) and he finds himself staring right at James.

 

“Oh… yeah I’m good,” Lance chuckles. “Just uh… waiting for someone." He frowns and checks the time. "What are you doing up?”

 

“Nadia asked me to trade her for night patrol shift,” James scoffs, hands on his hips. “She's probably out at some party in the city right now.” His expression shifts from annoyance as he looks at Lance carefully. “Actually, I wanted to ask you something.”

 

Oh shit. “Oh, yeah?” He tries casually and winces at the higher pitch.

 

“It’s about the mission today. Have you noticed anything… weird going on with Keith?”

 

You’re a couple of months late to the party, Lance thinks. “Maybe. Not sure. Why ask me?”

 

“Oh. Well since you guys are a thing I thought-“

 

Blue eyes go wide at that. “Whoa. Whoa, whoa, wait, hang… what do you mean a thing?”

 

“Uh, you know… dating? A couple?” He rolls his eyes. “Come on did you guys really think you were hiding it?”

 

“We’re not dating,” Lance says numbly. “We’re not a couple. Oh my god who-“

 

“Well, Nadia pointed it out first, of course, but seriously. Between the sappy nicknames, the handholding, and you constantly asking if anyone has seen Keith it’s pretty obvious. Oh and Keith sticks to you like a leech.”

 

Lance’s ears are ringing. That’s amazing. James somehow just managed to set off a bomb with just his mouth making words. It feels like his brain is suddenly leaking from his ears because surely he didn’t just hear any of that right.

   

Except for how it all makes too much sense. Lance had an inkling of something floating around the rumor mill involving him and Keith. Cadets would give them weird looks when they sat in the mess hall. Nadia’s suggestive eyebrow wiggles and teasing words...

 

Lance had been so concerned about Keith that he didn’t even think about what it looked like to others. Of course, everyone assumed they were dating! They were around each other almost 24/7 and, human noses or not, scenting still looked pretty intimate!

 

Then he suddenly thinks of Hunk and it all just clicks. Ignoring James, he whips out his dataPAD suddenly and types furiously into the Paladin group chat.

 

McClain_L: Why didn’t you guys tell me that the entire Garrison thinks Keith and I are fucking???!!!

 

For just a second there is nothing. And then…

 

Holt_K: LOL

 

Garret_H.: …You’re not?

 

McClain_L: No! OMG We’re not! 

 

Coran: oh dear what a shame. i was already planning a celebratory Altean betrothment tart in preparation for your announcement

 

Allura: Coran I already told you we don't have the ingredients for that

 

“Uh, Lance?”

 

Lance holds a hand up in James’ face and continues typing. He thinks for a second. Frankly, the rumors might as well be true nowIt isn't so much the content of the rumor as it is the other Paladin's not coming to him about it. So... the others deserve a little bit of scolding.

 

McClain_L: Seriously?! All of you????? Hunk, if we were dating I would have absolutely told you guys! You think I would shut up for even a second if I was dating Keith?

 

Takashi_S: Lance, Keith is on this group chat you know. Also, this is supposed to be a professional Garrison communication you guys

 

McClain_L: You too Space Dad? How could you do this to your son? This is a complete and utter betrayal. 

 

“Hey!” James snaps and the dataPAD is suddenly whisked from his grip as James grabs his wrist with the other hand. “I’m trying to talk to you about something important!”

 

“Well, I’m having a crisis right now!” Lance wails dramatically. He is genuinely a little upset they didn't just ask him (and it’s always more fun to listen to the rumor mill than to be the rumor) but he might be playing it up just to annoy James enough to leave him alone. Sadly, the other man isn’t having it.

 

“Fine, have your crisis! Just listen!” James pinches the bridge of his nose. “Today during the mission. He flipped out while you were flirting with the target. Started growling and… growing claws. And his eyes were… yellow." He sighs. "I know that sounds crazy but Keith has always been a little weird with his height and strength...“

 

Lance frowns. “Can you get to the point? And let go of my hand?”

 

James blinks and let's go. James is actually an ok guy now (though he still has the douche hair) but Lance isn’t about to tell him a thing. It's none of his business.

 

Before he can think of anything to say though the hangar doors open behind James. Amber eyes zero in on Lance. At first, they’re pleased and bright and then it quickly turns into a dark glower upon seeing James. Keith breathes in deep as if trying to calm himself, but then those sharp eyes dart to Lance’s wrist and the half Galra gives an audible growl. 

 

Then in just two large strides Lance is suddenly upside-down and staring at a familiar ass as he’s lifted right off his feet. He flails only for a moment at the big bulk of shoulder in his stomach as he’s easily hefted up like a sack of potatoes and carried off down the hall caveman style.

 

James had very wisely stepped off to the side when Keith came at them and simply gawks as the two round the corner.

 

“Keith, you’re killing me,” Lance wheezes, instantly half-hard at the blatant show of strength.

 

Keith’s voice is gravely and rough. “What were you talking about with Griffin?”

 

“Nothing important.” Lance starts drawing lazy circles on the small of Keith’s back. “Ah well, maybe a little. He saw you flip out on the roof you know.”

 

“I figured he did. But you’re right. That isn’t important right now.” Keith purrs, a smile in his voice as he heads for the elevator. “I’m glad you waited.” He turns his head into where Lance’s shirt has ridden up and nuzzles at the exposed soft brown skin of Lance’s side. His lips are soft and open against his skin and he breathes, drinking in the scent of Lance.

 

“Of course,” Lance says dizzily, clutching at the back of Keith’s shirt. “After all we got… mmm…” He bites his lip at the gentle nibble just below his ribcage. “…i-interrupted earlier.”

 

The elevator for their floor opens and Keith makes a beeline to his apartment.

 

The second the door hisses shut behind them Keiths shifts and crowds Lance till he’s hitched up the wall. Big clawed hands grip firmly where firm thighs meet plush ass. Lance wraps his legs and arms around Keith like an octopus and smiles down at the other man. He feels like a king on his throne. A very muscular throne.

 

“Hi,” he grins goofily. “This is kinda super fucking hot.”

 

Keith snorts. “You really do like being manhandled don’t you?”

 

“Yup,” he pops the “p” and arches, pressing his obvious hard-on against Keith’s chest. Keith groans at that, burying his face in Lance’s chest. “You’re not even struggling, are you? You have me halfway up a wall with just your arms and it doesn’t even look like you’re breaking a sweat.”

 

The other paladin nuzzles against his sternum. “I bet I could do it with just one arm too.”

 

“Haha, fuck you, I’m already painfully turned on,” Lance laughs, tugging at the ends of Keith’s mullet as the simmering in his blood turns into a boil. “You like manhandling me just as much as I like being manhandled. You took every excuse to fully grapple me during sparing.”

 

“Galra instincts,” Keith retorts with a frown, resting his chin on Lance’s chest and look up at him. “It’s a show of dominance I guess. And it was an excuse to touch you more.”

 

“Well, no need for excuses now. I've been waiting for this moment for almost a year now. I said it once before and this time I really mean it: I’d let you dominate me anytime~”

 

Keith’s golden eyes flash dangerously. “You might regret saying that. Galra are not very... vanilla. ”

 

“You don’t say?” Lance flutters his lashes and tucks a few strands of black hair behind Keith's slightly pointed ears. “I’d love a taste.”

 

Notes:

Chapter 17 will finally justify my tags. Lance is finally gonna get that good Galra dick.
... You know this was originally supposed to be a short five-chapter fic or something.

Chapter 17

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

And get a taste he does. Actually, it seems like Lance is about to get the whole damn buffet. A very big buffet.

 

He finds himself on the bed, pressed firmly into the mattress and Keith's hips in the cradle of his open legs. Lance groans at the feel of Keith against him and Keith takes the opportunity to dive into his open mouth and devour and suck out the breath from his body. Lance whines and cards his fingers into Keith's hair to urge him on. 

 

Keith's abs provide deliciously wonderful friction for the hard-on tenting the front of his pants. He does his best to arc into it but they're pressed so closely together he doesn't have much space so he just sort of wiggles himself back and forth underneath.

 

“K-Keith,” he gets out between the kiss. “I need t-oh.” Keith nips and tugs at his already swollen lower lip before plunging a long tongue back into his mouth, licking and sucking at every crevice. It feels like Keith wants to eat him alive and god the shivers that dance down his spine at the idea just have Lance melting further into the bed. Maybe Lance is the buffet. 

 

Keith at this point is purring, loud and proud now that he knows he doesn’t have to hold back in front of Lance. It’s deep and powerful, like a big old panther. Lance can feel it rumble against his own chest and it makes him giggle into the kiss.

 

Lance manages to turn his head away to breathe, leaving Keith to feather kisses along his cheek, down to his neck, and then nuzzle against his neck.

 

“Gonna bite the other side, big guy?” Lance teases, arms squeezing a little tighter around Keith’s neck.

 

“Don’t tempt me,” Keith chuckles, sounding utterly pleased.

 

Keith pulls away, hands on either side of Lance's head. He looks down, and simply stares as if marveling at the very sight of Lance splayed across his sheets. Lance absolutely revels in the heated look, spreading himself dramatically over the bed as if he were posing for a perfume commercial. If only someone could toss some rose petals on him. Maybe even a fan to blow his hair around a little bit. He feels so desired yet he can't help but desire more.

 

“What if I want you to bite me again?” Lance says, tilting his head back, showing off his apparently sexy neck judging by the look Keith gives him. “It doesn’t have to be the neck either.” His own hands drift over his chest, down his smooth stomach, and over the inside of his thighs. “There are plenty of other places y’know.”

 

One clawed hand comes up to stop those roaming hands and Lance laughs. His other hand comes up to cradle Keith's cheek.

 

"Are you sure you're okay with this?" Lance asks carefully, almost reluctantly. "Is this... too fast?" He doesn't want Keith feeling like he has to do this if he isn't ready.

 

"No. It's okay but I should be asking you if you're okay with this," Keith says. "Like I said... sex with me won't be normal."

 

Lance chuckles and sighs in relief. “At this point, I think it’s pretty clear that I’m a kinky little shit who has no problems with an alien boyfriend…” Keith smirks and his eyes light up. “So I won’t be afraid of whatever crazy Galra stuff you show me. Bring it on. I can take it."

 

Keith hesitates. "Say that after I show you first."

 

The other paladin leans back on his knees. Lance flushes hotly at the sizeable bulge in Keith's pants and licks his lips. Keith seems emboldened by that and slowly takes off his pants, exposing the sizeable shape in his underwear, then pulls the elastic down and…

 

Oh. First of all… it's big. Obviously. Bigger than porn big. Galra big. And thick. Lance doesn't even think he could wrap his fingers around it entirely. The head is a dark purple and then lighter all the way down the shaft where the purple spreads further out across Keith's pelvis. But wait. There’s more. There are ridges. Goddamn ridges on the underside and Lance feels like his brain is an egg in a frying pan.

 

His mouth waters at the thought of it and judging by the throbbing in his own pants he’s 100% on board.

 

"So, when did this happen?" He asks, gesturing at the monster of a dick attached to Keith. He resists the urge to touch it... yet.

 

Keith's blush is somehow adorable even with his dick out. "Uh... it stared sometime between the allergy thing and when I started scenting. After the scenting it got more... obvious." 

 

"And you weren't going to tell me?" Lance pouts, hooking his thumbs into his own pants to shimmy them and his underwear (thank god he isn’t wearing the lion boxers today) down over his hips. He only manages to wiggle them down to his knees, his own interest standing proud. “So what do you think? Does it look like I’m not okay with this?”

 

That flicker of something predatory flashes in Keith’s gold gaze again as he inhales deeply. His clawed hands flex and grip at his side. He can tell that Keith is still trying to hold part of himself back. Lance can’t have that. He wants to taste everything Keith has to offer. And at this point, Lance has practically put himself on a silver platter for him.

 

He tugs his shirt off for good measure.

 

“Goddamit Lance,” Keith growls, coming in close again. He braces one arm against the bed above Lance's head. He can hear the tearing of sheets by his ears where claws dig in. “I’m trying to hold back. I’ve never done this. My brain is screaming at me all sorts of things I still don't entirely understand yet.”

 

“Then understand them now. With me. Together.” He tilts his head to kiss a purple speckled wrist. “Don't think. Just do. And tell me all the things you want to do to me.”

 

“… kiss you.”

 

“Yeah, I’ve got that,” Lance laughs. “What else?”

 

“Get Griffin’s scent off you.”

 

“By all means.”

 

“And…” One hand caresses the inside of Lance’s thigh. He moves to brush at Lance’s length which forces a groan and wince. Lance’s breath hitches, almost a startled hiccup as a hot flush spreads up his spine and through his limbs. A hot boil goes across his scalp. Keith wraps his fingers around his dick but it's still a little too dry to be entirely pleasurable.

 

“Lube. We need… oh my god I can’t believe I didn’t think of getting some bef-“ Lance blinks as Keith produces a bottle of purple clear liquid from seemingly nowhere. “Excuse me? Where…”

 

Keith flushes in embarrassment. “… Krolia gave it to me. Told me I would need it and to be careful with you.”

 

“Well thank you Krolia,” Lance chuckles, blushing and taking the bottle from Keith. He flips open the cap. It was kind of funny to think of alien lube. It wasn’t like Lance hadn’t seen the stuff before (the space mall had a lot of shops that he visited on his own) but the fact that aliens had lube? Hilarious. 

 

Lance licks his lips and stares at Keith’s dick standing heavy between his legs. He slathers the slippery lube over his fingers. It’s instantly warm on his skin and Keith watches, hungry. He hears more tearing. 

 

“It might be best if I do this part,” Lance says reaching down. “So you hold back for just a little longer. Don’t worry. I’ve had some practice.”

 

Keith growls dangerously. He’ll need new sheets after this. But he leans back again, resting on his haunches, and watches as Lance preps himself.

 

Lance finds it’s easier to do it on his stomach. He reaches back and stretches himself that way. It also gives him the bed to grind into, giving his hard-on some much-needed friction. Plus this way he can give Keith a little bit of a show with his ass raised up, knees planted on the bed, and long legs splayed wide. He can’t help the small little groans and huffs that escape him as he drools all over Keith’s pillow.

 

He’s rushing. He’s done this a few times before and he knows that he’s going too fast but he’s just too damn eager. And judging from the growls and rumbling behind him so is Keith. Frankly, he’s surprised-

 

Lance yelps as big hands suddenly grab his hips. For a second he thinks Keith has run out of patience and is going to drag him back right onto that giant alien dick in one go. And while that sounds hot Lance still needs to be able to walk and pilot a lion after this. Thankfully, Keith doesn't do anything else and simply palms the curve of his ass, almost like he's trying to keep his hands occupied.

 

"Can't keep your hands off hm?" Lance says, voice breathy. 

 

“I can't help it. I have you in front of me like this.” His fingers dig in slightly. “This feels so right. The Galra part of me and the human part feel like they're on the same page. I can’t hold back anymore. I can’t not have my hands on you.” Keith gently pulls Lance’s hand away with a wet sound that has Lance’s ears on fire. “Besides. I can’t use my claws like this. But there are other ways I can help you out.”

 

"What are you- oh my god fuckfuckfuck..." Lance keeps chanting swears when Keith changes position, moving further down the bed, and gently bites at the back of a thigh. Then he licks the spot as if too soothe it and then moves to where Lance's fingers were.

 

Turns out that half Galra tongues are in fact longer and bigger than a human’s. And slightly tapered at the end. 

 

As the minutes go by it's absolute torture in the best and worst kind of way as it works him open even further. Lance swears he's could almost come just from Keith's tongue alone. 

 

"Keith please," he moans. "That's enough! I'm ready!"

 

The other paladin pulls away, finally coming up for air. He adds another bite to the many littering already his legs and hips and cheeks. And then a kiss.

 

"Have to make sure," Keith says, voice rough as he comes forward. His ridged length bumps up against the crease of Lance's ass, slick with lube and spit as Keith gives a few testing grinds. "Don't... don't wanna hurt you."

 

"You won't. Keith please just-"

 

Then Keith lines himself up, holding Lance open, and thrusts in. 

 

Suddenly, Lance is back in space. Surely, he must be with all the stars dancing in his vision. He must have forgotten his helmet too because he can't breathe. It takes one gasp... two... three... four to finally breathe again. Keith slowly thrusts in and out, trying to work Lance open. He's so full. Yet every time Keith thrusts back in it feels like there is still more to go. The bumps rub and catch against his walls in all the right ways. Lance one tried a dildo similar to this once but this is so much better.

 

Because it's Keith. This is Keith holding him tight from behind and peppering Lance's shoulders with kisses and purring like it's all he can as he is fully sheathed in Lance.

 

"Fuck," Lance sobs in sheer pleasure. "You're so big."

 

"Does it hurt?" Keith rumbles in concern.

 

"No. Just... give me a sec." Lance tries to get his breathing under control, fingers clenching at the pillow in front of him. It's so much more than he expected. So much better. Keith continues to purr and Lance wishes he could purr right back, communicate in the same way to show he's feeling. Happy. So happy.

 

"Ok," he says finally. "You can... move."

 

Keith pulls out a bit, thrusts back and Lance has to bite down on the pillow to keep from howling at the burst of pleasure. Molten heat spreads through his veins and melts him into a boneless mess. Then Keith pulls all the way out and Lance is abruptly flipped onto his back, still clutching the pillow like a life preserver. Keith's gold eyes are dark in pleasure as he regards Lance with a single-minded focus and desire. Then he shoves back in all at once and Lance keens into the pillow.    

 

It's going to be a long night.

 

Notes:

Happy New Year. Well here's the sex -checks watch- four years later. Did I justify that mature rating finally? This has been sitting in the drafts since... August. Pardon typos.

Notes:

Have I ever mentioned I'm trash for Galra Keith? I'm trash for Galra Keith.

Takes place post season 7.