Actions

Work Header

Ancient Words Unspoken

Summary:

Y/n L/n has been running away for most of her life. Away from her parents, away from dark guilds and even away from guild members asked to track her down. That is until the Thunder Legion show up needing her help...

Notes:

I don't really know what to say about this...it was originally a Freed X OC fic on wattpad that I never finished but I decided to rewrite it and uh yeah....here it is.....enjoy

Chapter 1: 1 ▫ First Encounters

Chapter Text


Running. She was always running. Away from police, guild members who were asked to hunt her down and mostly, her parents. She tucked her H/c hair behind her ear as she curled up in the hole she had found under a large old oak tree to hide from the new guild members who were trying to catch her. After originally attempting to fight the team she had to give up and flee. They were too strong. And there were too many of them. Not to mention she had yet to master her magic, having only ever learnt the basics, leaving her with nothing but two daggers and her fists for self-defence. She wished they understood, whenever guild members came to hunt her down, it just brought back horrible, unpleasant memories about her family. When these big strong mages came to try and find her she was always convinced she would die, she was always convinced that they would find her and lock her up and most of all, she was always convinced that her parents had sent them.

"Hey! I think I can smell her!" She heard a gruff male voice shout, presumably to his team members.

Crap, Y/n thought, panting to catch her breath and peeking her head out of her hiding place to see four people standing a bit away. There was a big man with spikey blond hair, a man with weird totem poles flying around him, a woman with brownish hair and lastly, a man with long green hair.

I've never seen this lot before.....What new guild are they from..?

Unfortunately, it appeared the one of the group was a dragon slayer and he easily detected where she was hiding, the group surrounding the opening underneath the tree. She tried to keep her breathing quiet and pressed herself as close to the wall of mud as she could, trying to stay out of sight.

"Hello?" A male voice called out, confusion lacing their voice. Y/n stayed as quiet as possible, dread growing in her stomach as she heard another, deeper voice say

"I know you're in there, I can smell you and hear you breathing,"

The H/c haired girl's breathing hitched and she tried to steady her voice as she asked

"Who are you and what do you want?"

"We're from the guild Fairy Tail. Our master would like to speak with you so we have been sent to get you," Another male voice spoke

"I'm not going with you, leave me alone," Y/n denied, suspecting the entire thing to be a trap.

"Please, we're not sure what he wants to talk to you about but it's urgent," This time it was a female voice and Y/n shook her head, even though she knew that they couldn't see her, her H/c moving to cover her face partly.

"How would I know to trust you. For all I know you could be from a dark guild," Y/n voiced her suspicions

"You have no reason to trust us, but we'd appreciate it if we could at least talk," The third male voice spoke again and after briefly considering it, Y/n began crawling out of the cavern against her better judgement

"Talk then. But don't even think about coming any closer," the H/c girl warned with a glare, her hands resting on the handles of the two daggers strapped to her thighs.

"We've not been told everything but we can explain what we do know," The green haired male was the first to speak and Y/n simply nodded, waiting for him to continue "You use black magic right?"The man continued and Y/n nodded unsurely

"How do you know that?" The H/c girl asked, somewhat aggressively

"This is just what we've been told, you'd have to ask master Makarov how he knows," Laxus interrupted and Y/n glanced at him warily.

"But you also partially know how to use another form of magic, right?" the green haired male asked again, being interrupted by Y/n.

"Who even are you?" She asked warily, her hands tightening their grip on her two daggers.

"We're from the guild Fairy Tail, I'm Freed Justine, these are my teammates, Evergreen, Bixslow," He pointed to the only woman and the male with his tongue stuck out before turning to his other side and adding "And this is Laxus," 

"What does my magic have to do with anything though? What do you want from me?" Y/n glared slightly

"A dark guild has taken over a nearby town and they have trapped everyone there using an ancient form of letter magic, the same type of magic that you partially know how to use. Both I and another person from Fairy Tail who uses letter magic have already tried to get in but it seems like a different type of magic completely, that's why we need your help. We want you to come to Fairy Tail with us and learn to master your second magic so that we can free the town," Freed explained, hoping that the H/c haired girl would begin to trust them.

Y/n stood for a moment, observing the body language of the group, trying to de-code whether they had bad intentions. She decided to believe them for now and gave the faintest smile to the group.

"I'll go with you," She stated emotionlessly "But if anything seems suspicious, I won't hesitate to attack you,"

The group seemed relieved and they began walking through the forest, Freed walking beside the H/c girl to ensure she didn't run away.

Freed would sometimes try to start a conversation however, Y/n didn't seem all that interested in talking. He did notice the many wounds covering the shorter girls arms and legs, even her face wasn't free from cuts and he noticed how a few looked like they may be infected, wincing and making a mental note to try and clean them when they got back to the guild.

At one point, Y/n did turn to him and ask quietly

"If no one from your guild could get into this town, how am I going to learn how to use this magic?" 

Freed had also asked the same question when master Makarov had given them the mission, receiving a knowing smile in response.

"It's instinctive. She needs to learn how to use runes first and then she should know herself,"

The rune mage explained this to the H/c girl who seems unconvinced but nodded anyway.

They soon emerged from the forest, Laxus, Evergreen and Bixslow leading the way and leaving Freed and Y/n to talk to one another.

"If you don't mind me asking, why have you never joined a guild?" Freed's curiosity got the better of him and Y/n stopped walking for a moment, her fists clenching at her sides.

"They can't be trusted. Joining a guild makes you easier to track down," Y/n briefly explained "Me going with you is a big risk but if I don't go with you, no doubt some other guild will try and get me to help,"

Freed wanted to ask why it was a risk however, Y/n tried to change the conversation as quickly as possible.

"So Fairy Tail? They're the ones who destroy a lot of things right?"

Freed mentally sighed and nodded.

"Not all of us do, it's just the ones who do, they do it often enough for the whole guild to be known for it," He explained and Y/n nodded, the two returning to silence.

They reached the train station soon enough and got on the next train to Magnolia, an awkward silence filling the carriage. Y/n sat staring out the window with Freed to her left and Evergreen to Freed's left. Bixslow and Laxus sat opposite them and Y/n avoided eye contact with the other males.

"So Y/n, you do solo missions right?" Evergreen tried to break the awkward silence however, the H/c girl simply nodded in response.

"If you're this quiet around everyone, you're going to hate the guild," Laxus commented. Freed gave him a look that told him to be quiet and Y/n sighed quietly with a forced smile.

"No-one said I had to enjoy it did they? Or is that part of your 'mission' as well?" Y/n asked snarkily, effectively shutting everyone up again

Laxus grumbled something about her being rude and then the silence returned.

The tension was thick enough to be cut with a knife by the time they got off the train in Magnolia, the group exiting the train carriage and heading towards Fairy Tail.

As they approached the guild, Y/n felt the anxiety begin bubbling in her chest, threatening to spill over and she tried to push it down angrily.

Stop being so weak Y/n, there's nothing for you to even be anxious about

Despite telling herself this, Y/n still felt her heart racing uncomfortably in her chest and her palms sweating slightly as the Fairy Tail building came into view.

Freed seemed to sense her unease and gently reassured

"It's okay, I swear no one's going to hurt you," 

Y/n simply nodded, brushing off the comment and taking a deep breath before following the others inside the doors of the guild

The silence that enveloped the building as she entered seemed almost deafening as she followed Laxus, Evergreen and Bixslow further in, Freed walking behind her.

"Ah, you're back," A small man who sat on the bar in front of them spoke "And I presume this is Y/n L/n," He asked, jumping off the bar and walking towards the H/c girl. He glanced behind her at the rune mage and spoke again, his voice lower than before "Freed," 

Y/n glanced in confusion behind her at the green haired male who was quickly writing something in the air with his sword. It took the H/c girl a moment to realise what was happening but as she saw a wall of purple text appear around the guild, her eyes widened, her pulse racing in fear as she spun around, seeing that she was surrounded completely. She turned to look at Freed once more and mumbled out a quiet

"Why...?"