Actions

Work Header

Running with Wolves

Summary:

The tribes all shared one rule: No mating with anyone from other tribes

Izuku Midoriya lives in a tribe where omegas are sacrificed and mages are rare. Being both these things, he carries a heavy burden.
Katsuki Bakugo is the chief warrior of his tribe, but also the centre of a prophecy that's supposed to save his people.
Both have no idea they're about to break the one rule that's been around since ancient times.

Notes:

come one come all to my first tribal au
i hope this is alright
thank you so much to my beta and best friend DNLX for helping me get this out here
anyways hope you enjoy and stick around for future chapters (´∀`)♡
ps it is currently past midnight and im watching yaoi meps so please excuse any mistakes

Chapter 1: First Meetings

Chapter Text

“Nooo!”

Izuku turned over on his side to face away from the window that his mother opened.

“Come on get up! There’s already a line of patients from today’s morning hunt lining up outside.”

“Why meee.”

“Because it’s your job. It’s not like you do a lot around here.”

“That’s such a lie!”

Izuku quickly sat up to defend himself when he saw the smirk on his mother’s face.

“You always react quickly to that one.”

“Mom!”

Despite this, Izuku smiled. He loved his mother dearly, and always put up with her teasing. His father was killed when Izuku was only 2 years old, so he hardly had any memories of the man. However, he knew his mother loved him more than anything in this world, yet every day she put on a strong face on for her only son. Strangely, Izuku didn’t miss his father as much as people expected him to. He guessed it was because he never knew the man, so there wasn’t anything to miss. He’d only ever known one thing about the man. All he had to tie himself to his father was a name. Besides, there was no guarantee he’d love the greenette anyway. What Alpha would want an Omega son?

“Oh and don’t forget you’ve been called to the Wolf clan later on!”

“Do I really have to go?”

“Is that even a question?”

Izuku groaned. He hated going anywhere by himself, especially if it involved the Wolf clan. They were all so scary, he shivered just thinking about them. Even though all the tribes were at peace with mages, being a small Omega didn’t help Izuku’s case.

“Okay mom, I’ll go.”

“Good. I’m going out to sell last night’s medicine, so why don’t you get started on the patients?”

“Sure mom!”

“I’ll see you in a minute.”

“Be safe!”

Izuku sighed and got out of bed, the bones on his neck clanking against each other, ringing out in the empty house. Throwing on his nearest clothes, he squinted as he stepped into the light. The rays of sunshine warmed his skin and made it tingle. Birds happily chirped in the trees surrounded him and Izuku couldn’t help but smile.

“Ahh what a nice day.”

“Mr. Midoriya!”

“And there they are.”

Not a day goes by when Izuku doesn’t hear the cries of help from his fellow villagers. The perks of being a mage.

“Coming!”

“Okay, you be careful now. Just rest and don’t push yourself too far. I’d consider taking some time off hunting to make sure it heals properly.”

“But I need to help out. With salmon season coming up, we’re already short handed since last year’s fire...”

“I know, but it really is better that you let it heal, otherwise it could reopen and it’ll take even longer.”

“Okay.”

“Don’t forget to take your medicine!”

Izuku wiped his forehead from the sweat that glistened in the sun.

“It’s hot out here!”

“M-Mr. Midoriya!”

Izuku looked towards where his name was being called and saw a smaller girl standing there.

“How may I help you?” he asked with a smile.

“I bought you some berry juice. I know how hot it is out here, and you’re working so hard. I know using your powers takes up a lot of energy, so...h-here!”

Before Izuku could thank the girl, she’d hurried off, leaving him with a large cup of cold, fresh berry juice. Gulping it down, the Omega realised just how thirsty he was.

“Ah that hits the spot!”

He stood up and stretched his legs, jumping slightly when he felt a hand on his shoulder.

“I’m back!”

“Welcome home!”

Izuku smiled at his mother and helped her inside.

“Ah, silly old legs.”

“You really shouldn’t push yourself so much mom.”

“You don’t have to worry about me. I’m just an old woman.”

“Still…”

“I see you got through all the patients before I even got back!”

Izuku knew she was changing the subject, but went with it. He didn’t like pressing his mother too much, and knew it was better to just leave it.

“Haha, yeah.”

“You’re getting stronger every day. Where’s my little boy going?”

His mom patted his cheek and smiled up at him, though her features were slightly somber.

“I’m still here mom.”

“You used to be so tiny, following me around everywhere I went, hiding behind my legs.”

“I’m not going anywhere mom, so don’t worry. I’ll always be here for you.”

“And me for you. I love you so much sweetie.”

“I love you too mom.”

Despite his small and fragile stature, Izuku was quite strong. Being an Omega, he couldn’t build on muscle like the other secondary genders. Of course, no one else knew he was an Omega. That was a secret kept between him and his mother. Everyone assumed he was just a small Beta. There’s no way they’d let an Omega take care of them, especially with him being a male. A little white lie, that’s all it was supposed to be. Something to benefit everyone. Unfortunately, being an Omega came with its hardships. Izuku had tried thousands of different medicines to suppress his instincts, yet none seemed to actually work. Eventually, his mother had to use her own magic to come up with something that would extinguish them.

Izuku’s clan was the second strongest out there, despite their timid, nervous nature. That was something to be proud of. However, that meant most of the clan was made up of Alphas. This meant he was constantly surrounded by their strong, musky, potent, alluring smell. He tried his best to control himself, but there had been one too many incidents where things almost got out of control. Being an Omega, his maternal instincts were also suspiciously strong. If he couldn’t be found, he was most likely playing with the children in the fields, making flower crowns and splashing in the river. Many villagers were cautious around him with good reason.

Not only was he one of the strongest mages in the forest, he also was always confusing people with his abilities. A Beta was best known for fulfilling their primary gender roles. If you were a female, you were to be a mother and carry out all other duties given to women. If you were a male, you’d go out with hunting parties and protect your mate and offspring. Not only did Izuku partake in both these roles, but he excelled at them. If you placed him on a hunting party of only male Betas, he’d bring in two times as much meat as they could. If you put him in a group of female Betas, he’d cook the most delicious food, sew the fastest, and all the children loved him. He could calm a crying baby when not even the mother could. Some people thought he was cursed while others believed he was blessed. Truth be told, it was just his natural Omegan instincts. His clan was no place for Omegas, so he was the only one around, not that anyone knew that.

“I think it’s time you get going Izu.”

Izuku shook his head from his thoughts and turned to face his mother.

“Oh right, I forgot about that.”

“What am I going to do with you?”

“Sorry! I’ll go now.”

“Be safe, honey.”

“I will.”

The Omega reached down and picked up the satchel that his mother had filled with all sorts of medicines, bandages, herbs and salves. They only had a vague idea of what he was heading into, so they thought it was better they be safe. The trek to the Wolf clan was quite long, and one Izuku had only made once with his mother. Unfortunately, she was needed at their own clan, so it was a trip the Omega had to make on his own. He was scared, but put on a brave face. The mage generation was dying out, so there weren’t many to call upon in times of need. This was something he was used to. Ever since he was allowed to practice medicine, he’d been sent to multiple camps to treat many different people. From hunting injuries to illness, Izuku had seen it all.

Now 16, his magic was stronger than ever, and his powers were strong enough to go on missions like this without his mother. Unfortunately, it also meant he was finally of age to mate. He’d been pressured since finding out about his abilities to find a female to reproduce with. The importance of passing on the mage’s power was ever present, and Izuku was starting to feel like if he didn’t choose someone, someone would be chosen for him. Normally, partners have 2 to 3 children to ensure their genetics are passed down. However, his father died before his parents could have a chance to have more than one child.

Thankfully, the mage genes were passed onto Izuku, and he was protected and sheltered to make sure he made it to adulthood. Sadly, no one in the Omega’s clan caught his eye, and even if they did a big problem would arise. Omegas can’t pass their genetics on to other people, they can only receive other’s seeds and grow the child themselves. He knew he would be outcast if anyone in the tribe ever found out about his true secondary gender. It was bad luck to be a male Omega. They were considered cursed humans, deemed unworthy by the gods. Usually when one is born, they are sacrificed to the next full moon. However, because Izuku’s mother was the strongest mage in the forest, she used many potions and spells to disguise the Omega's true identity. He wasn’t sure what he was going to do when it came time to finally bond with someone. There’s no way he’d be able to hide it any longer, but that was a thought for another day. As the small boy neared the camp, he could smell the distinct scent of the Wolf clan, the strongest in the forest. Izuku gulped as two guards approached him.

“Who are you?”

“I-Izuku Midoriya. I-I was summoned as a...as a mage.”

They nodded to each other and then proceeded to escort the Omega down the pathway and through the entrance. The tribe was bristling with action. Looking around, men and women alike were preparing for the salmon season, much like Izuku’s own clan. However, here there was one big difference. Omegas littered the village, each standing out by the bright red markings on their cheeks. The greenette remembered how surprised he’d been the first time he visited and noticed Omegas in the village, interacting with everyone like normal. When he and his mother got back home, Izuku immediately jumped on the question that had been burning his tongue for the whole visit.

“There are Omegas in the Wolf clan?!”

“Haha, I thought you’d be surprised by that.”

“W-What? Why? How?”

“Well, the Wolf clan has...different ideals from us. They believe that Omegas are...how should I put this? They believe Omegas are here for Alphas.”

“What do you mean?”

“I’ll tell you when you’re older.”

That was when Izuku was 12. He hadn’t visited the Wolf clan since, and honestly he thought of that as a blessing. Everyone turned their heads to catch a glimpse of the mage passing through their clan. He was being led directly to the leader, and Izuku thought he was going to pass out. He’d never met the man, his mother had been the one to greet him last time. His legs were shaking and each step sent an antagonising pain up his spine.

“We’re here.”

The small boy looked at the entrance covered by vines. Taking a deep breath, Izuku mentally prepared himself to enter.

“Excuse me.”

He stepped inside, bowing low in a greeting to the old man. Looking up, he was shocked to see not one, but two men sitting down on tatami mats.

“Welcome, Midoriya,” the older man greeted.

Upon inspection, the Omega realised the younger man was the lead warrior The markings were clear as day on his arms, and Izuku squeaked a little. Big, beautiful, crimson eyes stared deep into his soul, sucking out any ounce of confidence he had left. The older man cleared his throat and the Omega blushed a deep pink realising he’d completely zoned out.

“S-Sorry!”

“What I was saying was we’ve set up an area for the sick and injured, so if you’d like to follow Katsuki here, he’ll bring you to them.”

The younger man grunted as he stood up and began walking over to Izuku. He towered over the small Omega, looking down on him like a piece of prey. His stature combined with his build and status made it obvious he was an Alpha.

“C'mon then.”

The Alpha’s voice resonated through Izuku’s body, making his every fibre tremble. He was frozen in place, unable to even blink as fear coursed through his veins. Something about this Alpha screamed danger, and the Omega’s instincts were telling him to run away. Unfortunately, he had a duty to fulfill.

“Well are you coming?”

“Y-Yes!” Izuku squeaked, quickly rushing to catch up with the man called Katsuki.

They walked through the tribe and everything caught Izuku’s attention. He gasped at the beautiful flowers blooming throughout the village, drooled at the delicious smells of cooking meat and smiled brightly at the children playing around the fire.

“What a wonderful clan,” he whispered to himself.

Everyone here seemed so close to one another, quite different from the relationships he was used to back at his own tribe.

“Must be nice…”

“Hah? You say something?”

“N-No!”

Izuku waved his hands around nervously at being heard and quickly walked forwards, accidentally bumping into the Alpha.

“Ah! S-Sorry! I-I wasn’t looking where I was going and I accidentally bumped into you I didn’t realise you’d stopped and I kept on walking without-”

“Okay, Jesus fucking Christ! Just keep moving.”

This is a nightmare, Izuku groaned internally. He was so jumpy and jittery even the slightest touch and he was meters in the air. Finally, they arrived at the place where everyone was staying. Stepping inside he immediately sensed the change of air. Something was very wrong here. Slowly sliding his bag off his shoulder, he walked around the room, taking everyone into account.

“How many of them are sick and how many are injured?”

Whenever situations got like this, Izuku had a tendency to forget all his shy, nervous tendencies and get strict and down to business, especially in a situation like this. He didn’t know what it was, but something felt off.

“The ones on that side are hurt, the ones on the other are ill.”

“Okay, I need you to get me some hot water and cotton.”

“Who the fuck do you think you’re talking to?!”

“Hurry, something’s not right.”

The Omega kneeled down by the closest man and rested his hand on his head. It was burning hot, just like Izuku thought. Walking over to the injured section, he realised there were only 3 patients, and none of them seemed to be seriously hurt.

“Okay, I’ll help you guys first.”

He set to work, stitching wounds and applying salves to infections. He was finishing up with the last Alpha when Katsuki walked back into the room.

“Here ya go.”

“Thanks, could you set it down over there for me? Okay, you’re all good to go. Take it easy now, okay? I don’t want you to rip it open again.”

The Alpha nodded and walked out of the room. Sighing and wiping his forehead, Izuku walked back over to the sick people.

“What happened?”

"Not sure. They all suddenly just got sick.”

“How many days ago?”

“2.”

“Did they eat something in particular? Come across something unusual?”

“Not that I was notified of.”

“That’s not much to go off.”

“Well ’s all I’ve got.”

The Omega walked around to the same man as before and tried to get his attention.

“There’s no point. None of them have woken up since they fell ill.”

“Strange...”

Izuku was at a loss. He had no idea what to do, where to start. He wished his mom were here. But she’s not. Now hurry up and help these people! Izuku’s didn’t know how long he’d been working for. It must’ve been at least 6 hours. He’d tried multiple different herbs, plants, spices, salves and mixtures of potions. When nothing worked, he resorted to using his own power. This was something he rarely used as it drained every last bit of strength he had left.

“Desperate times call for desperate measures.”

The Omega placed his fingertips on either side of the man’s head, and closed his eyes, taking a deep breath. Concentrating every sense, every bone, every last bit of himself on the Alpha underneath him, he felt his own being drift through his fingertips and into the man’s head. Sweat dripped off Izuku’s head and soaked into the Wolf’s bandages. When he couldn’t take it any longer, the greenette broke away with a cry before collapsing into a heap on the floor. Taking sharp inhales of cold air, he felt his eyelids droop.

“Oi. The fuck's going on in there?”

Izuku glanced to the side to see Katsuki rushing to his side.

“Kacchan…”

Izuku woke up, cold spreading from his forehead down his spine to the tips of his toes. Launching himself up, his heart raced with fear at the unfamiliar smell.

“W-Where am I?”

“You collapsed, so I brought you to my den.”

“H-H-Hah?!”

“What you got a problem with it? I could’ve just left you on the fuckin' floor ya know.”

“O-Oh! No, I’m very grateful. Thank you!”

“’S more like it.”

The Omega clutched his head and looked around. He frowned slightly when he noticed it was only one room.

“Do you not live with your parents?”

“Why would I?”

“Oh well it’s just in my tribe we live with our parents until we’re mated so I guess I just assumed you weren’t which I really shouldn’t have I’m sorry I just thought-”

“Would you stop doing that!”

“W-What?”

“That fucking stupid rambling.”

“Sorry! I didn’t mean to…”

“Well if you’re good enough to sit up you’re good enough to walk. You should go home.”

“What time is it?”

“Well past your fucking bedtime that’s for sure.”

“I was out for that long?!”

“I bet your mommy’s worrying about you, so run along.”

“Did it work?”

“Did what work?”

“The Alpha. Is he better?”

“None of them have improved.”

Izuku’s heart sunk.

“You’re kidding. That was the last thing I could think of to do. I didn’t heal any of them. I’m such a failure I can’t be called a mage I-”

“Such up! You’re giving me a fucking headache.”

“S-Sorry. I’ll be going now.”

The Omega stood up and bowed low to Katsuki.

“T-Thanks for everything, and sorry for the intrusion. Please tell your leader I’m sorry, and I’ll be back with more supplies.”

“Tch. Whatever.”

Izuku bowed once more before walking out the den. Looking around, he realised the warrior was right. It was dark, well past midnight.

“I hope mom’s not worrying too much. I told her I’d be home before midnight. Better hurry.”

The Deer wouldn’t consider himself scared of the dark. But being in the forest at night alone was a different story. He jumped at every little noise, quickening his pace until he was almost sprinting through the trees. Arriving at the hidden entrance to his clan, he pushed aside the vines and walked through. The village was dead quiet, everyone had gone to sleep by now. The fires were dying down, the food eaten. As Izuku walked towards the den he shared with his mother, he realised how starving he was. He hadn’t eaten anything since midday, and, with using his power, he’d drained all his strength. To prove his point, his stomach rumbled, seeming incredibly loud in the eerie silence. Trying to be as quiet as he could, the Omega placed his satchel down and tiptoed to his room.

“Izuku? Is that you?”

“Mom?”

“Oh thank goodness!”

Before he could prepare himself, the greenette was smothered by his mother.

“I was so worried about you!” she wailed.

“Mom! Be quiet! You’re going to wake everyone up!”

“S-Sorry I just thought something really bad had happened to you.”

“I’m sorry. I got really caught up. I ended up using my magic, and then I collapsed and didn’t wake up for a few hours.”

“Why’d you use your power?!”

“Nothing else was working. Mom I’m really worried. Something’s not right in that tribe. When I walked into the room, it felt...wrong. There was something off, something disturbing the air. I tried everything I could think of, potions, herbs, salves, nothing worked on the sick Wolves.”
“What do you mean?”

“I can’t explain it, but it’s bad. Not even my mage power worked on it. I think we need to go back.”

“Izuku. What exactly did it smell like?”

“Like...death, decay.”

His mom inhaled sharply and tensed in Izuku’s arms.

“Mom? What’s wrong?”

She immediately relaxed and Izuku could hear her smile.

“Nothing baby! I’m sure they’re fine, it must just be some bug going around. Why don’t you have something to eat and then get some rest. You must be tired after such a big day.”

The Omega didn’t believe her, but he did as he was told. That night he tossed and turned in his bed. He couldn’t get his mind off the sick people, nor his mother’s reaction. Stop being stupid and go to sleep already!

The next day was as uneventful as most are. Izuku went on a hunting trip, then helped out with the skinning and boning of the meat, and then went about making the salt for the preservations. When it was finally the end of the day, he was beat, and his back hurt like hell.

“Izu?”

“Yes mom?”

“Could you make dinner tonight? There are so many batches to be made for tomorrow, if I don’t start now I won’t finish in time.”

“Sure thing! I’ll help you in a second.”

Cooking was something Izuku enjoyed the most. He especially liked using the meat he caught. It was always the most delicious, not that Izuku liked gloating, but he did know how to catch the best prey. It also meant saving money as they didn’t have to buy meat from the local market. Even though they were mages, they struggled with money due to the Midoriya’s kind nature. Most of the time they should be charging for their practices and medicine, but right now everyone in the tribe was having a hard time. Izuku contemplated their situation, and the problem with the Wolves while he stirred the stew. He and his mother ate in silence, and with only a small ‘goodnight’ they were off to bed.

“Mr. Midoriya! Mr. Midoriya!”

Izuku was wrenched out of his dream world by someone screaming his name.

“It’s too early for this,” Izuku groaned as he sat up and looked for the source.

Someone suddenly burst through his doors and the Omega came face to face with the village leader.

“What’s wrong?”

“It’s your mother.”