Actions

Work Header

Lost Magic

Summary:

In a world where magic was locked away years ago, Lucy Heartfilia runs away to a boarding school in order to escape her abusive workaholic father. There she discovers she may just be the one able to unlock the door and let magic flow through the world again. There's gonna be blood, maybe some gore, and eventually a whole lot of nalu with a few other pairings if i can fit them in!

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Chapter Text

Lucy


 

“Long ago,” momma started, voice a little soft as she looked at me, “there was magic in the world.”

“Real magic momma?” I jumped up onto her bed, holding my sewn mermaid doll to my heart, eyes big.

“Real magic. It was spread all across Fiore, and almost anyone could learn to use it. You couldn't take a step without the power flowing through your body. Magic did wonderful things, making the lives of everyone easier.” her voice shook, like jello but sad. “There were those that were born with the gift, Mages and Wizards with long lives that had lots of adventures and traveled everywhere and anywhere to help those in need. And then there were bad people, as there always are, that would make life worse for others. The good Mages would fight against the bad, and do everything they could to keep others safe.”

“I bet the good guys were wonderful!” I bounced on the edge of momma’s bed and she laughed, but it sounded like it hurt.

“They certainly were,” momma agreed, my favorite smile on her pretty face. “But, not everyone is as they appear, dear Lucy. There was an evil man,” momma’s voice was sad now. “He grew to hate the people of the world and that hate festered until there was nothing but one desire; to strip the happiness from everyone in Earthland away. So he found a Celestial Wizard and tricked her into opening a gate to the world of spirits. He slipped into the gate without anyone noticing and took control of the Celestial Spirit King.”

"The king's power was mighty and soon that evil wizard began using the king's power to destroy Earthland. However, the wizard's hold on the king was not eternal. The second the bond broke the king destroyed the wizard. In his fit of anger he locked away the magic of Earthland, punishing all of the wizards who were unable to stop the evil wizard."

“That star king did that?” I stopped jumping and frowned down at my mermaid doll, the symbol for momma’s favorite stars sewn into her dress. “I thought he was a good guy momma.”

“The Celestial Spirit King is a very good man that had to make a very difficult decision. And one day baby, you too will have a difficult decision to make.”

“What kind?” I sat down, looking at momma very hard. Her pretty face was looking red and her voice was shaking again, going in and out a little. Momma’s brown eyes focused on me, but they weren’t as sparkly as they usually are. They were flat like crayon coloring and not like Momma’s favorite stars.

“One day you will be given the choice to bring back magic and fix the mistake made long ago.”

“How long ago Momma?”

“Almost two hundred years,” Momma’s voice was soft and shaky, her eyes no longer looking at me. Her fingers dropped a key on the bed in front of me, it was gold with swirls coming off it, a door set into the handle. “Keep it safe, keep it hidden,” Momma leaned back against her pillows, fingers reaching out for the bell on her bedside table. She managed to knock it over and i jumped down from the bed to pick it up because Momma’s bell didn’t belong on the ground!

“Lucy, darling, I’m so sorry,” her voice was small as I placed the bell on the table, the noise from the shuffling of maids entering Momma’s room making it hard to hear. “Please fix the mistake I made. Remember I love you.” there was wet falling from Momma’s eyes as she pulled me close and kissed me, her lips cold against my forehead.

I was dragged away from her then, even though I kicked and screamed and fought. Momma’s key stayed safe in my hands.

Even when they wouldn’t let me see her. Even when they told me she was gone I kept it safe, hiding it between my mattresses or in my dollhouse with ‘Quaris, my mermaid, when I had to go to lessons.


 

I kept the thought of my mother and her soft words at the forefront of my mind as I did my best to ignore the pain radiating from my body. Tears streamed silently down my face as I dabbed at my smeared makeup, my ribs hurting from the discipline my father had meted out. My eyes dropped to the delicate gold chain around my throat, my thoughts flitting momentarily to the key hidden within my dress pressed tightly against my heart due to the corset I am currently stuffed inside.

I looked practically indecent in the ball gown, not nearly enough fabric covering my bosom which had caused the need for discipline in the first place. I shuddered at the thought of Lord Dan’s hands running up my waist to grab hold of the front of my dress. His touch made me feel vile, disgusting. I only acted accordingly,slapping his hand away as proprietary dictates.

Lord Dan was to be my betrothed. Lord Dan had a right to my body. The thought had my fingers trembling against the countertops, my father’s words seared into my brain.

I am a worthless girl.

My sole use is to further the Heartfilia name.

I am to provide an heir by Lord Dan.

I am to remain silent unless spoken to.

I am not to disobey my father’s words.

Sometime after my mother’s passing my father grew angry and distant, lashing out whenever he felt as though he were being disobeyed. The abuse had started soon after. His temper, unable to be controlled by mere words and screams any longer, was exercised with his fists. We soon grew distanced from each other, my father working himself tired until he felt the need to punish me harshly, and me refusing to bend to his will when his demands were made. Because that is what they were, demands not requests. And now I am to be married to a man much like him, with lecherous looks and wandering fingers.

I have to escape, to get out from underneath my fathers thumb before he kills me. The aching from my ribs was testament to the power behind his controlled beating. What would happen if he snapped one day when no one else is around? And what of my betrothed ? Should he truly be like my father my life is on the line, the clock ticking against me.

My mother, Layla Heartfilia had been a strong and courageous woman, never backing down from a fight. I stared at my reflection in the mirror, trying to find the resemblance our maid Spetto spoke of so highly. Mother had been a fighter, the only thing to ever defeat her was death itself. If I could channel just a fraction of the willpower mother possessed I could do it. I could leave and never come back.

I did my best to keep my teeth from grinding as I applied powder to my reddened face. The ball to announce my engagement was still going on and I must attend to my duties. My brain was fuddled, filled with the desire to find a way out, an escape, but unable to focus on any single one as they were all so unlikely. Luckily my steps were even and sure as I made my way back to the main ballroom, passing hushed murmurs as I did. Little snippets of conversations, most about the opulence of the party, drifted to me, but one in particular stuck out to me. I slowed my steps as I neared the couple talking.

“Enrollment will be soon, I heard they have a very highly valued Business course load.”

“Fiore University isn’t just for Business classes you know,” the girl giggled, eyes bright. “There are all sorts of classes available.”

“Of course, but they say if you graduate from there with honors in business it makes running a company like my father’s look like a breeze.” They laughed and I continued on. I had heard of Fiore University, it is set hundreds of miles away near Crocus and is an esteemed academic academy. I had never had the opportunity to get proper schooling, only learning from tutors on things that would help a lady of my station. But a Business Degree, could my father refuse such an opportunity? It would look good on him, having a daughter graduate with a degree in Business, seeming willing and ready to take over his business. Docile and ready to put the family needs first.

It would also put me out of his immediate reach and allow me a modicum of freedom. Maybe even enough to escape!

I did my best to keep the excitement from my face as I approached my father. He stood with Lord Dan, an apologetic look upon his face. Of course it wasn’t aimed towards me. Oh no, he was certainly apologizing for my behavior after than man practically mauled me.

I took a deep breath and let it out. Without thought I turned directly to my father, gaze steady to maintain eye contact.

“Father I just heard the most interesting tidbit of information,” I accepted a flute of champagne from a passing waiter, swirling the bubbling liquid as my father turned a frown towards me. “Fiore University has Business classes that would be most enlightening for my situation.”

“What situation,” he scoffed at me, face turning slightly red as if in warning. He must think I’m stupid enough to speak out against him in a room of his highly esteemed peers. While it may have the desired effect of having him ousted as a horrible father and abuser it is much more like it will only garner him sympathy.

“I simply don’t understand what it is you do for the company, the sacrifices that need be made. I feel the University could help me understand better, so that I may serve the greater good.” I sipped on the champagne as my words sunk in. Appealing to his need to sacrifice me may just be what I need to get out of here.

“I shall consider it.” was his gruff reply. I knew a dismissal when I heard one and bowed gracefully, ignoring the pain in my ribs before leaving his presence. Almost immediately I was swept away to dance, pulled around by nameless man after nameless man. My feet began aching hours ago and my side never truly stopped protesting the movement but soon I was able to ignore it and simply lose myself to something i did enjoy.

Momma and I use to dance together, sometimes formally but most of the time they were fun dances. The made up kind Momma’s Mage and Wizard friends would do at parties and celebrations.

As I was carted around the dancefloor my mind drifted back to my sixteenth birthday party two years ago and how much fun it was to simply lose myself. It has been the only Ball or extravagant party i’ve enjoyed. I had wished so hard for mom to be there, to enjoy the day with me. Long after the guests had left I found myself beneath Mother’s beloved stars, tracing the constellations with my fingertips. They all glittered like diamonds against dark felt.

“Miss Heartfilia,” my dance partner slowed and I was brought back to the present, “it appears your father is ready for the announcement.” as he spoke the music came to a quiet halt. I nodded my thanks to the man before making my way to the dias where my father and a rather peeved looking Lord Dan stood. I ignored his scathing glare to stand primly, as a lady should.

“Tonight was for the engagement of my daughter and Lord Dan, to strengthen the ties between our companies.” My stomach lurched at his words but I ignored it, my eyes instead scanning the crowd. “That was, until my daughter made an excellent point. The engagement shall stand, however the marriage shall be postponed as my daughter has taken an interest in studying for the business she is bettering by her marriage.”

I blinked owlishly.

We were soon bombarded with congratulations, which I accepted dazedly.

He had said he would consider it. I had expected to wait days, even weeks to get a response. Instead I was treated to a wonderful surprise. Suddenly the smile on my face didn’t feel so heavy. I was being given the chance to leave, to have a sliver of freedom from my oppressive father’s tyranny.

If I played my cards right I could sneak away without father or Lord Dan noticing.