Actions

Work Header

Unexpectant Encounters

Summary:

"Laxus, what the hell." She cried out. She put her hands to her face. "How can you understand the pain I'm going through. It was never in my game plan for things to turn the way they did. I was never supposed to fall in love with him." She cried harder. He cringed not realizing the emotional mess he just got involved with. With a sigh, he pushed himself off the tree and stood over her.

"You can either sit there and wallow in something that was never meant to be, or you can learn from it, stand up and move on with your life. If you and that dumbass were meant to be, it'll happen. But take my advice and suck it up Blondie because you have too many people worried about your well-being and all it's doing is causing grudge against Natsu the more they see you beat yourself up." He stated waiting for her reaction. Her sobs quieted, but she was still shaking. He couldn't tell if it was from her crying or if she was cold. He shrugged his coat off and wrapped it around her, grunting as the cold air surrounded his warm body.

"You give a big speech to someone you barely take 2 minutes to acknowledge since I've joined the guild." She said.

Notes:

I want to note that this is posted on Fan Fiction as well. The version going on here has been touched up and edited. I do not own the characters besides the OC's that appear in this story and the back stories to them. I own the dark guilds and I own the rights to the Sirius family.

This has been my baby, my time consuming piece of work. I hope everyone enjoys.

Chapter 1: Chapter One:

Notes:

This chapter has been run through an editing program. UE is under an extensive editing and sprucing stage. I will be replacing chapters as I go. Some character names have changed, and there have been additions to chapters increasing the word count. Thank you for reading!

Chapter Text

~~~Chapter One~~~

Most people would label him egotistical based on his outward appearance. Over the past eight years, he could have had that appearance. Laxus had been taught what it was like to be loved and what it was to love. What it was like to be part of a family, even if there was no real biological tie between most of the members. It's doubtful that most people have been through what he and his family have. Most people would not be alive today if it were not for the Fairy Tail family.

As he strolled down Magnolia's cobbled streets, Laxus Dreyar tucked his hands deep in his pockets. The air was crisp and cold enough to see his exhaled breath. He felt the chill of winter in the air. As he trudged on, he noticed the guild hall in the distance. While the thunder legion was usually present, he sometimes wanted to be alone.

The memories of his arrogance when Team Natsu took on an S class assignment flooded him. He knew Happy was responsible for stealing the mission but chose to ignore it anyway. When Phantom Lord stormed the guild to capture Lucy, he remembered that he'd only help if Lucy were his lady. The terrible words Laxus said about his Gramps. He turned his back on them. Bowing his head, he scowled as Laxus remembered how he caused Fairy Tail conflict, driving the guild members to fight and hurt each other. All while he sat in the Cathedral watching the damage and his guild fall apart, only for him to be banished.

He matured and developed new perspectives during his time of penitent exile. Had it not been for the guild and Gramps, the one family member who had always accepted him. Gramps bent over backward, raised him, and treated him like a piece of garbage. He wouldn't be here today. He probably wouldn't have been reinstated as a member if Gildarts hadn't interjected. Even though his Gramps denied it repeatedly, he wasn't out of line because, in Laxus's eyes, it was his own damn fault.

He shook his head as he opened the doors to the guild hall. It was oddly quiet for the time of day. Mirajane stood behind the bar, dusting beer glasses with a paper towel. Asuka played with her toy gun while Bisca and Alzack sat at the table talking. In front of his easel, Reedus painted a subject that he didn't know. The two sat at the table, and Lily stood on top of it, gesturing his paws as if he were lecturing them. Laxus's eyes were drawn to the thunder legion, sitting at a table beside the mission board. While Evergreen and Freed were chatting about Freed's admiration for Laxus.

"Hey there, dude. I was starting to get worried." The two members paused in their argument to acknowledge Bickslow's remark, which sparked sudden silence. In an unoccupied seat, Laxus sat down with his arms crossed over his chest.

"Worry for what?" Laxus asked, his eyebrow raising in question.

"Master!" Freed excitedly said, his eyes widening in the excitement that Laxus was now with them. Laxus knew Freed had feelings towards him, only Laxus couldn't share the mutual feelings. He loved the guy like his brother. Same with Bickslow and Evergreen as his sister. They have been by his side and been his family through all hell.

"You haven't been yourself lately. I wasn't sure if you were going to show up." Bickslow commented back as he stared at Laxus.

Laxus shrugged his shoulders. "I'm fine."

"You're not fine. We aren't blind. We can see it written all over your face Laxus." Evergreen butted in, her arms now crossed over her chest, mimicking Laxus. She stared at him, but enough to avoid his eyes.

"Are you sick, master?" Freed asked. "I can rub your neck later if you want."

"Hmph." Laxus closed his eyes as another headache started to come on. "Guy's. I'm fine. Stop harping me." The guild door opened and slammed behind them, causing the foursome to turn their attention to someone walking in. The woman was dressed in a dark red dress with black leggings and ankle boots, blonde hair tumbling down her back like a golden waterfall with a white snow cap on her head. Her brown eyes twinkled as she spotted the silvery-haired woman behind the bar. She waved and smiled as Mirajane greeted her, tracking her way over to the bar and sitting down.

"I can't believe she turned down going on the quest with Team Natsu and stayed behind." Evergreen mentioned, causing Laxus to turn his attention to her.

"What do you mean?" He had no idea what Evergreen was talking about, but he had been on a mission himself for a while, so catching up was an understatement.

"Team Natsu went on that 100-year quest that Gildarts failed. Lucy stayed behind. It was very heartbreaking to watch, but she was adamant about staying. I don't blame her." Freed spoke.

"It also didn't help that she had told Natsu in her own ways how she felt about him, and the moron was still oblivious and blew her off. If I was her, I would have turned down going myself. It's embarrassing." Evergreen pitched. "But, he is her best friend. Sometimes you have to put yourself first, which she did, but it didn't end well. They were both very offended at each other."

He eyed the blonde from the corner of his eye. "How long has her team been gone now?" Laxus asked, curious.

"I'd say about two weeks now," Bickslow responded.

"You can tell she's hurting, but she puts up a rather good front," Evergreen said as she took her glasses off her face to clean the lens.

"Well, she didn't only lose Natsu. She also lost Gray, Erza, Happy, Carla, and Wendy. Wendy did try to stay behind with Lucy, but Lucy finally convinced Wendy to go. It was just a sad scene period to watch. I would say it's her own fault for staying, but honestly, I don't see it as that way." Freed said, bowing his head with his eyes closed.

Laxus stayed silent as he watched the blonde from the corner of his eye. She wasn't the same crybaby that had joined the guild eight years ago. Not in the least. She grew up into an attractive woman. And he couldn't deny that he wasn't interested. But the thought of her having feelings for the flame brat doesn't attract him in any sense. He watched as her lips up turned into a fake smile as he heard her tell Mira that she was okay. Waving her hand and chuckled to try and back up her words. An orange light appeared beside her, revealing an auburn hair male. He was one of her spirits known as Loke. He watched as she smacked him for arising out of nowhere, scaring her. Mira covered her mouth, stifling her giggles towards the pair.

"Be careful. You don't want to burn a hole into her, do you?" Evergreen asked with a smug look. Laxus turned back to his group, giving them a look.

"Shut up," Laxus grumbled as he stood up. "I'm going to take a piss."

"Aw, he's just crabby. He got caught gawking at Lucy." Bickslow teased as Laxus grumbled at him, walking away. Luckily, she didn't hear his table, or at least he hoped.


Lucy was awakened by the sound of silence. She was still on the couch, where she had last been seen. Her face was still streaked with tears from crying herself to sleep the night before. The previous two weeks had been nothing short of a nightmare losing her best friend and her team. They weren't actually lost, but they wouldn't be back for a long time as they headed to complete a mission that even one of the best S-class mages couldn't finish. She wanted to go but couldn't after confessing her feelings to Natsu. All he cared about was going on the mission, not even acknowledging that she loved him. She had to force herself apart. Natsu was perplexed, to say the least. Still, she did realize that Natsu was not interested in a relationship or romance. He was uninterested in the concept and was just concerned with family and friendship.

Natsu will always be dear to her heart, her best friend but what she needed was to move on. To move on with her life instead of always being wrapped up in him. She groaned, standing up, stretching as her back popped. She called forth Plue as she started a shower. Plue danced outside the tub, keeping her company as she washed her hair and lathered herself with lavender and vanilla wash. She usually would choose strawberry scented wash, but with all the stress she was under, the lavender really helped her, and plus, it was such a nice change of scent.

She stepped out, steam wrapping around her body as she dried off, walking into her bedroom. She pulled on a maroon dress that she rarely wore with black leggings. She decided to keep her hair down, throwing on a white snow cap. Calling Plue, she walked towards the door, slipping on her black ankle boots and heading outside.

The cold air made her gasp as it took her breath away. She cursed to herself as she walked towards the guild with wet hair. She stepped onto the ledge that was by the canal and balanced herself to walk on it.

"Well, Plue. What shall we do today? Maybe try to look for a solo mission? Or maybe see what Levy and Gajeel are up to?" Lucy asked the spirit. She sighed as she stared up into the gray, dreary sky. "Or maybe just take another day to recollect reality." She started to shiver. She jumped down off the ledge as she got closer to the guild.

Plue disappeared back to the spirit world as she walked into the guild hall, half glancing around as she saw Mira. Mira smiled, waving to her as she started walking to the bar.

"Hey, Lucy. How are you today?" Mira asked, smiling, her sapphire eyes gleaming.

Lucy returned the smile. "Oh, I'm fine." Mira shot her a look making Lucy chuckle. "Mira, I promise. I'm fine."

"I just worry about you, Lucy. Especially after-"

"Mira. Please don't. I know you mean well, but please, can we not talk about that right now? I'm still trying to get over it if I can ever get over it. He was a big part of my life, and I made a minute instinct decision that it was time to end the charade of never being on the same level." Her eyes wanted to tear up, but she mentally breathed to calm herself.

"Princess." A voice whispered in her ear, making her screech and jump, almost falling off the bar stool she was sitting on.

"Damn it, Loke." She smacked him. Mira started giggling, covering her mouth to hide the huge grin.

"Don't be like that. You had me worried. I just wanted to make sure you were okay. We all worry about you." Loke stated. He turned to where his back was leaning against the bar facing the guild. His eyes landed on a set of eyes a few tables away before the man got up and headed towards the restrooms. 'What do we have here? Laxus.' Loke thought.

"Loke? What are you staring at?" Lucy asked as she twisted on the seat, looking in the direction he was staring in. All she saw was the thunder legion sitting at a table. That's when her eyes caught his back as he walked away. "Laxus is back?"

"Yeah, he returned last night," Mira replied as Lucy twisted back to face Mira. "He's been staring over here at a certain blonde." She winked.

"Say wha?" Lucy asked incredulously. "You've got to be kidding."

"Do I ever kid you, Lucy?" Mira asked offensively. Lucy waved her hands frantically in front of her, instantly regretting questioning her.

"He was staring over here until he caught my eyes, and then he took off," Loke spoke up.

"See Lucy. I wouldn't kid you." Mira smiled as she picked up another mug to dry.

"Yeah yeah." She stood up. "I'm going to see what Levy and Gajeel are doing. Looks like Lily is lecturing them again." Lucy waved at Mira as she and Loke turned to walk away.

"Princess. Are you sure you’re, okay? I sense a lot of sadness from you." Loke whispered in her ear. Lucy shoved him as Levy's table approached them.

"Yes, I'm fine, so stop asking." She grumbled.

"I still think you fail to see my point, Lily," Levy said, leaning her head on her hand.

"What point is there to see?" Lily asked as his paw touched his chin in thought.

"What are we talking about here?" Lucy interrupted, smiling at her friends as Loke wrapped his arm around her shoulders. Lucy rolled her eyes at him, removing his arm.

"Hey, Lu. We were just trying to explain to Lily about this mission that we want to take." Her voice got higher towards the end.

Lucy blinked a few times. "Oh, okay." She looked around. "Well, I just wanted to say hi. I'm going for a walk before it gets blistering cold." Lucy lied. She wanted to take a walk eventually after visiting but already sensing the awkwardness, she just wanted to get the hell out of there.

Levy's eyes lowered sadly as she lied to her friend, but she didn't want her to know how they were talking about her and Natsu.

"Okay. See you later, Lu. We'll catch up later?" She asked.

Lucy nodded. "Sure." She saw Gajeel staring at her, giving her the chills. "Do I have something on my face?"

"Be careful, bunny girl." He grunted as he turned around.

"Uh, yeah. Sure. Bye guys." Lucy waved as she walked away.

She walked around town for a while before ending up in the woods outside Magnolia. Her fingers were frozen along with her nose, but the scene was so serene that she would bare it for a few more minutes. She came up along the creek, the water quietly flowing over the rocks at the bottom. She sat down on a stump, staring out in the distance, wanting to cry again.

Laxus watched as she waved goodbye to Levy and Gajeel and walked out the door. He noticed Levy's face lowered as she watched Lucy's back. He shut his eyes to concentrate on what they were saying.

"Well, that was unfortunate timing." Gajeel proclaimed. 

"I just want her to be happy again. I feel so bad seeing her so alone. I try my hardest to be present, yet she pushes me away. Maybe we should join her on a mission?" Levy proposed.

"That doesn't seem like a bad plan." Lily nodded in agreement.

"That is if she wants to go. I often see her staring at the mission board, pacing back and forth, and then leaving empty-handed." Gajeel stated.

"I'm just not sure. Natsu is a moron. Hopefully, someone will come along and sweep her off her feet. I'm missing Lu." Levy expressed solemnly. 

Laxus sighed, looking down at the group and then at the doors. He wasn't sure if he was the right guy to pursue her or if anyone should pursue her at all. After a minute of arguing in his brain, he groaned and followed the blonde out the doors.

He observed her pouting as she wandered around town. The little bug dog thing was waddling next to her, and she occasionally smiled at him before bending down and picking him up. He didn't know much about celestial magic, but it was an interesting experience to witness. He could tell she wasn't physically built just by looking at her, but he could tell she could still pack a punch or even a kick after hearing about her renowned Lucy Kicks. Her magical whip piqued his curiosity. She knew exactly how to flick her wrist in the right direction to produce the desired results.

There were also her spirits. Laxus had discovered that certain spirits could open their own gates and summon without her doing so physically. Loke was one of the spirits that always opened his own portal. He was so caught up in his thoughts that he didn't see she had gone out into the woods.

"Fuck." He murmured as he jogged hurriedly in pursuit of her. He detected her fragrance, signaling that he should slow down. He leaned against a tree, watching her as she sat on a stump. She was just sitting there, tears streaming down her cheeks, staring off into the distance.

"How come I'm so stupid?" He could hear her murmur. "I couldn't keep my mouth shut. I'm screwing things up again, but it's probably for the best this time." Hearing her was giving him a headache. "I guess it's my own damn fault that I'm alone again." He was staring in surprise until he heard a smacking noise. She was slapping her cheeks. "Lucy, you can do it. You have no choice." Her hands fell back into her lap as she whispered. He took a breath, almost regretting what he was going to do, but his lips moved before he could.

"You're aware that you don't have to be alone." He saw her jump and tumble off the stump, landing on her ass, her face expressionless as she stared at him. He locked his gaze on her dark brown eyes, red from all the sobbing, and her red nose, his face unchanging. "It is time to move on from whatever is bothering you. Since I've been gone, I've picked up on a gist, but it appears to me that you're better than that. Remember that you still have family outside of him."

"What the hell, Laxus?" She shrieked. She cupped her hands over her face. "How can you possibly comprehend my pain? It was never my intention for things to turn out the way they did. It was never supposed to happen that I would fall in love with him." She sobbed even more.

He cringed, unaware of the emotional turmoil he had just gotten himself into. He eased himself off the tree and stood over Lucy, sighing.

"You may either wallow in what was never meant to be, or you can learn from it, get up, and move on with your life. If you and that jerk were meant to be, it would happen. But take my advice and suck it up, Blondie, because you have too many people concerned about your well-being, and the more they see you beat yourself up, the more they dislike Natsu." He stated that he was waiting for her reaction. Her sobs had subsided, but she was still trembling. He couldn't tell if it was because she was crying or because she was cold. He pulled off his coat and wrapped it over her, grunting as the frigid air encircled his warm body.

"You deliver a huge speech to someone you barely acknowledge in two minutes since I joined the guild." She stated.

He clenched his teeth, knowing he deserved it. "I'm always away on missions. How can you expect any male to truly associate you with Natsu continuously hovering over you, let alone Gray? Gray was equally as terrible." Now that Laxus thought about it, they always included her no matter how much she objected to being part of the strongest group, knowing that she wasn't much help. But also treated her as if she needed continual protection.

"Not when it came to family." She shot back at him.

"When I visited you in the infirmary after the Grand Magic Games after the Minerva incident, he acted as though I wasn't welcome. I'd say he had control over you."

"Are you certain it's not a dragon thing? You and Natsu both have dragon slayer magic." She pondered, turning her head towards him. He watched as she tightened his coat around her.

"That was something I hadn't considered. It could be, but Natsu doesn't have control over you." He made a remark.

"Nobody has control over me. Nobody will ever own me. I'm my own person." As the wind picked up, she shivered, the cold air stinging her face.

"It's a whole different level regarding dragon instincts, Blondie."

"What does that imply for you?" When she asked him a question, he raised an eyebrow.

"What exactly do you mean?" He inquired, intrigued.

She was staring at the ground. "You're a second-generation dragon slayer, correct? Do you share a possessive personality?"

Laxus never gave it any thought. He had never encountered a human that made him feel like he just needed to protect them. Hell, he never even had a girlfriend. He'd had a couple of one-night stands hoping to find an easy lay to take the edge off, but there was nothing there. Nothing drew him in.

"Don't be concerned about me." They began strolling down the route that led back to town.

"I'm not. I was just wondering if you had the same pressing needs." She flatly stated. "I didn't mean it the way it came across." She raised her voice. "I apologize for being so rude. What I meant was that I'm not concerned about your romantic life. I was just wondering if that possessive urgency is shared by all generations of dragon slayers."

"That was harsh." His lips curved into a smile. "I suppose you'll just have to wait and see." She cocked her head towards him, a puzzled expression on her face. "Joke?"

"That was a terrible joke and a terrible pick-up line." She sighed. As they stood in front of her apartment, she shimmied off his coat. "Thank you for lending it to me. It is much appreciated. I would invite you in, but I'm rather tired. So, Laxus, have a good night." She returned her attention to him, her hand on the handle. "Also, taking the time to talk with me. It was interesting and different."

He watched her walk in and close the door behind her. He grinned and shook his head as he returned to the guild, unknowing that she stood at the window watching him walk away. 

"Laxus, what is your intention? " She inquired through the glass, his silhouette fading into the distance as he walked away. She stripped off her thin clothes and nestled onto her bed, closing her eyes in the hopes of falling asleep.


He entered the guild hall, which was much more crowded than before. The thunder legion had left relieved him because he no longer had to answer twenty-one questions. Laxus walked to the bar taking a seat before the brunette using the counter as a chair while chugging from a barrel. 

"Dreyar, Laxus. Laxus, Dreyar. It's nice to see you here to let us know you're still alive." Cana hiccupped as she drank several chugs of beer. "What are you doing?" Mira smiled as she approached the pair, handing Laxus a mug.

He supported his beer. "I really needed one of these."

"Did you track her down?" Mira asked. Laxus took a gulp his beer.

"What?" He choked out, pounding his chest. That swallow of beer had definitely went down the wrong pipe, it brought tears to his eyes.

"Wow, bud. Are you going to be alright there?" Cana questioned, slapping his back with laughter.

"Lucy. I noticed you following her out. Is she all right? I'm just concerned. She puts up a brave face, but everyone knows better." Mira gave him a frown. Not a disappointed frown, but one of sheer concern.

"She is stubborn. She is aware of what she should do. She's an adult. She'll figure it out." He sighed. "And whatever you're thinking, Mira. No." He smacked his beer mug against the counter. "I appreciate the beer." He rose to leave.

"Laxus, please keep an eye out for her. All I ask is that." Mira chimed in. "Lucy is our light, and her flame is fading. We cannot let it die." His brows furrowed as he couldn't disagree more. The girl was the guild's glue in several ways. Lucy was the one who re-united everyone after the guild disbanded. Making their family whole again. She was the one who instilled confidence in everyone else.

"Why me?" He inquired. "We don't really speak."

"It's Lucy, of course. There is no need for any further justification." She hissed angrily.

"Mira." He sighed and rubbed his thick blonde hair with his palm. "I'll see what I can come up with. Maybe I'll take her on a mission or something. I'm not sure." He was presented with a piece of paper. Laxus looked at Mira, who had her head inclined to the side and a broad smile on her face.

"Do this one." She made the offer. With a grunt, he took the paper and read it, his eyes widening.

"You're not serious, Mira."