Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 3 of Marvel Cinematic Fanfiction Universe
Stats:
Published:
2019-06-09
Updated:
2021-02-02
Words:
48,261
Chapters:
25/26
Comments:
303
Kudos:
65
Bookmarks:
15
Hits:
4,833

Sam Wilson: Captain America

Summary:

Sam Wilson has taken up the shield and the mantle of Captain America as per Steve Rogers' wishes. The world is changing, and new threats and allies rise for this all-new, all-different Sentinel of Liberty. Aided by Bucky Barnes and a man named Charles Xavier, Captain America will fight for those who can't.

Notes:

Well, I hope y'all read my Guardians 3 fic, and you damn well better have read my Endgame. Or else you could be a little confused.

Oh, and just so y'all know, there's going to be these little "Captain's Logs" of Sam being Sam as recaps before every chapter.

Chapter 1: All-New Captain America

Summary:

Sam takes up his first mission as Captain America.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Captain's Log

Entry 001:

 

You know, when Steve asked me to become Captain America, I told him the shield felt like it belonged to someone else. The shield is mine but... I don't know, feels weird to hold it still. I love the new suit, though. It's flashy, and it looks damn stylish. T'Challa and Shuri provided Vibranium weave for the suit, and trust me. Feels good to be bulletproof. Quote that weird video the Spider-Kid showed me, my shield is the size of a dinner plate.

 

My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America.

 


 

New York

June 2nd, 2021

 


 

Sam sat on the couch in the Avengers Facility, tablet in his hand. Bucky entered, brushing his hair. The television was on in the background.

 

"Honestly, I'm very curious to see how the August 17th meeting will go." One of the news anchors said.

 

"Agreed. The repeal of the Sokovia Accords paired with the newly crowned Emperor Victor von Doom of Sokovia talking about his country is bound to be interesting." The other anchor agreed.

 

"What're you reading, Sam?" Bucky asked.

 

"A trigonometry textbook. I need to figure out shield angles." Sam explained.

 

"And we have breaking news! An unknown supervillain is attacking Central Park!" The first news anchor piped up. Sam and Bucky turned to the television, seeing a man in white and light blue armour with a white helmet destroying trees.

 

"That's a problem." Bucky deadpanned.

 

"Suit up." Sam replied.

Sam Wilson: Captain America

 


 

Sam and Bucky stood in the Quinjet, suits on. Sam's suit looked similar to his old suit in construction, but the Captain America Shield was affixed to a magnet on the back and Sam's gauntlets were bulkier. The colour patterns resembled Steve's stealth suit, but with the standard red, white, and blue.

 

"I have to say, I like the suit." Bucky looked Sam up and down.

 

"Thanks." Sam nodded. Bucky looked over to the console.

 

"We're over the drop point." Barnes said. He tapped his wrist, and the door to the Quinjet opened. "I'll find a sniper point. Go be an American Eagle."

 

"American Eagle. Hilarious." Captain America rolled his eyes. He then stepped out of the Quinjet and deployed his wings, taking off into the sky. He looked down at the Park, seeing the villain down below. "Barnes, I have a visual. Moving to engage."

 

"Roger that." Bucky replied. Sam landed and pulled the shield from his back. He retracted his wings and walked slowly towards the villain.

 

"Ooh, a Captain America cosplayer! What's your suit made of?" The villain asked.

 

"Kevlar, Vibranium, and asskicking." Sam grinned.

 

"Let's see if it helps you against this." The villain grinned. "Time for an avalanche." He then raised his hand, and a concussive wave fired. Sam blocked it with his shield, walking slowly towards Avalanche. Avalanche raised his other hand, blasting Sam in his leg. Sam grunted as his leg was swept out from under him, and Captain America spun to right himself.

 

"Taking the shot, Sam." The Winter Soldier said. A bullet then flew out of nowhere and impacted Avalanche's face. However, the projectile crumpled just before hitting his skin. "The hell?"

 

"Aw, sorry, Captain Costume Party. Bullets don't work on me." The villain laughed.

 

"Sam, it's up to you." Bucky said. Sam tossed his shield at Avalanche's face, nailing him in his chin. Avalanche growled and Sam deployed his wings, jetting forward and catching the shield before ramming into the villain. Captain America twisted around, his wings retracting as he kicked his opponent in the face. Avalanche reached up and grabbed Sam's foot before slamming him into the ground.

 

"Ow." Sam groaned, getting up.

 

"Face it, you're out of your depth here." Avalanche grinned. Sam heard a snikt, and a woman with shoulder length chocolate hair in a yellow and blue suit and helmet-mask with two silver claws on each hand and a black and red "X" belt buckle jumped onto Avalanche's back.

 

"Captain America. Need a hand?" The woman smirked.

 

"It couldn't hurt." Sam shrugged. Avalanche lurched forward, and the woman spun off of Avalanche's back and landed next to Sam.

 

"Name's Laura, but I go by Wolverine in the field." The woman explained.

 

"Sam Wilson. Captain America." Sam replied.

 

"Time to get to work, Cap." Laura smiled. She charged, jumping in the air and twirling, slashing into Avalanche's suit with his claws. Sam joined in with punches and strikes from his shield.

 

"Make me a groove!" Sam ordered. Wolverine nodded, digging her claws into Avalanche's suit. Sam pressed his shield into the groove before letting go and jetting away. He swung back around and drove his boots into the shield, sending the disk through Avalanche's armour. He roared in pain, grabbing Laura by the wrists.

 

"Just like your father." He chuckled through the pain.

 

"Not exactly." Laura replied, a claw popping from each foot with a snikt. She kicked Avalanche in the chin, cutting his cheek. Sam pulled his shield out and bashed it into Avalanche's face, punching the back of the disk. Avalanche groaned as his helmet cracked and he fell over. Bucky came running up to the two heroes.

 

"Sam, you good?" Bucky asked.

 

"Yeah. Thanks to Laura here. That guy... That guy was not great for a first run with the shield." Sam gestured to Avalanche.

 

"He's also not like anything either of you have dealt with." Laura explained, retracting her claws and pulling her helmet-mask from her head. "Or like me."

 

"And who are you?" Bucky asked.

 

"Laura Howlett." Laura explained.

 

"Howlett? Why do I recognize that name?" Barnes asked.

 

"Because I got it from my father, Logan. You fought with him on D-Day. It's a long story, and I'd love to explain it to you more. If you could just come with me." Wolverine explained.

 

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. I appreciate the help, but where do you want us to go?" Sam asked.

 

"The Xavier School For Higher Learning."

 


 

Laura, Sam, and Bucky stepped out of a SR-71 Blackbird onto the the tarmac of a mansion.

 

"How does a school we've never heard of have the budget for this?" Sam whispered to Bucky.

 

"Or for a Blackbird? I was around when those were getting developed. HYDRA wanted them, but couldn't get one because of how insanely guarded they were." Bucky replied.

 

"Crazy Stark level money here." Captain America chuckled. Barnes gestured to a large blue man covered in fur. Sam shrugged, just as confused. The three got to the door, which Laura opened.

 

"After you." She gestured. Sam and Bucky walked in, looking around at the Mansion. They continued down the hallway, seeing various students scurrying around the halls.

 

"Is that Captain America?" One male student with white feathered wings whispered to his friend.

 

"It is." Sam smiled. The student with wings came over, and his friend ducked into a classroom.

 

"Hi, I'm... I'm Warren. I'm a friend of Laura's. I'd love to talk if you have time." Warren looked at Laura.

 

"I'll go tell the Professor you're here." Laura smiled before walking away. Sam and Bucky were left with Warren.

 

"I, uh... You're kind of my hero." Warren explained. He pointed over his back at his wings. "You know. Flying. It's my only real power, other than healing. But you prove that flying can be a damn cool thing. So... Thanks, Cap."

 

"I'm... Glad to be an inspiration." Sam said. Warren smiled and walked away. Sam gave Bucky a quick confused look and Bucky gave him a shit-eating grin.

 

"Get used to it, Captain Falcon." Barnes smiled. Captain America rolled his eyes. Laura returned.

 

"Professor Xavier will see you now.' She explained.

 


 

Berlin

June 2nd, 2021

 


 

Zemo sat in his cell, reading 'The Tragedy of Julius Caesar" quietly. Everett Ross walked in and smiled at the two guards.

 

"If I could have a moment with the prisoner." He instructed. The two guards nodded and left.

 

"Come to gloat again, Agent Ross? I get restored after spending 3 years gone, and I'm still here." Zemo asked.

 

"Actually, I'm here to help you." The agent's mouth moved, but the voice wasn't his. Instead, it was a woman's voice. 'Ross' put his hand on the cell's scanner, and it opened. Zemo stepped out, and 'Ross' smiled. His skin shifted and changed, and a blue woman with yellow eyes and a bob of red hair smiled. She wore a white armoured vest, boots, and pants with a waist cape and loincloth, and a pistol was strapped to her hip.

 

"Who are you?" Zemo asked.

 

"My name's Mystique. I heard you're a man with a set of skills that can help me. And the way I see it, I think you owe me." The woman explained with a smirk.

Notes:

Hope you guys enjoyed this!

Chapter 2: Students and Breakouts

Summary:

Sam and Bucky meet Charles Xavier and discover what world they live in. Mystique and Zemo escape from the JCTCTF Facility.

Notes:

I'm just diving into the Mutants, folks!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Captain's Log

Entry 002:

 

Right, so this Laura chick? Insane plane. I mean, it's a Blackbird. The Quinjet's cool and fancy but Blackbirds have style. Style aside, she's got skills. Those claws are handy in a fight, and she's fast. The fight against this Avalanche guy would've been a helluva lot longer without her. I really need to get better with this shield. Captain America can't keep getting his ass saved. Bucky will never let me live it down.

 

My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America.

 


 

New York

June 2nd, 2021

 


 

Sam and Bucky followed Laura into an office decorated with various busts and books. A bald man in a three piece suit and sitting in wheelchair sat behind the desk.

 

"Sam Wilson and Bucky Barnes. Just the men I wanted to see. My name is Charles Xavier. I run this school." The man explained.

 

"Xavier, yeah." Bucky looked at Sam. "That's old money right there."

 

"Yes, we go back a few generations." Charles chuckled.

 

"Why did you want to see us?" Sam asked.

 

"Captain, you can help us." Xavier explained, wheeling himself from behind the desk. "You see, a few minutes ago, a woman broke into the Joint Counter Terrorism Central Task Force Building in Germany."

 

"I don't like where this is going." Captain America deadpanned.

 

"She released a prisoner." Xavier continued.

 

"Oh, I really don't like this." The Winter Soldier groaned.

 

"Helmut Zemo." Charles finally finished. "Thank you for letting me finish that thought."

 

"Sorry." Sam gave a mildly guilty look.

 

"I'll call the Quinjet. We're going to Germany." Bucky said.

 

"Mind if I tag along?" Laura asked.

 

"Sure. Don't scratch my jet." Sam smiled.

 

"T'Challa and Stark's jet. They paid for it." Bucky smirked.

 

"Shut up." Captain America rolled his eyes.

 


 

Berlin

June 2nd, 2021

 


 

Zemo and Mystique walked through the hallways of the JCTCTF Building. Mystique's skin shifted, and she took on the appearance of a guard. She then shot a nearby guard and dragged him behind her and Zemo into a side room.

 

"Put on the armour." She ordered, her normally female British accent having vanished into a deep American man's voice. Zemo nodded, taking off his shirt and stripping the armour off of the guard. He slipped his feet into the pants, and then the boots before looking up at Mystique.

 

"Thank you." Zemo said as he put on the shirt.

 

"You're welcome. My benefactor, he wanted to thank you." Mystique explained.

 

"For what?" Zemo asked, pulling the balaclava on.

 

"You tore the Avengers apart. They lost to Thanos. He unleashed cosmic radiation of unprecedented levels into the universe, wiping out half the universe. Then he did it again, destroying the Infinity Stones. Then the Avengers used the Infinity Stones to bring everyone back, and then again to kill Thanos. The amount of cosmic energy has had... Consequences. People like me. Mutants. We're formed by intensive cosmic energy altering our genetics. The amount of Mutants has skyrocketed in the past three years. My benefactor has a vested interest in there being more Mutants. As such, he wished to thank you by freeing you." Mystique explained. Zemo finished putting the armour on, and the two left the room. They walked in stride towards the exit, guns ready. They reached an elevator, and the two entered. They descended one floor, and Sharon Carter entered the elevator. She was wearing a variation of the uniform Natasha had worn during the Insight Crisis.

 

"Soldiers." Sharon nodded at Zemo and Mystique.

 

"Agent." Mystique nodded back. Sharon turned her back away from the two villains.

 

"I'm going down to secure the garage." Sharon explained.

 

"We were assigned to do the same." Mystique replied.

 

"Always nice to have backup." Agent 13 smiled to herself. "Not always required, though. And I know for a fact I don't have any." She then spun around, kicking Mystique in the face. Mystique hit the wall, her disguise shifting for a moment before solidifying again.

 

"You're out of your league, Agent." The mutant chuckled, shifting into her natural form.

 

"That's what they all say." Sharon smirked. She then jumped up, kneeing Zemo in the side of the chin before kicking off of his chest and drop kicking Mystique. The Mutant hit the side of the elevator and grunted before getting up and cracking her neck. She jumped at Sharon, punching her in the gut. Sharon grunted in pain before kneeing Mystique in the gut. She then picked up Mystique and threw her at the wall, accidentally smashing the security camera. The Mutant grunted and fell to the floor as Agent 13 pulled out her pistol and pointed it at her. Sharon turned off the safety, but was smacked in the back of the head by the butt of Zemo's rifle. Mystique got up, transforming into Sharon. The elevator arrived at the garage, and the door opened with a ding. Two guards ran up.

 

"Agent Carter, what happened?" One of the guards asked.

 

"A shapeshifter infiltrated the facility. Zemo is on the loose. This one and I are going to lock down the perimeter." She motioned to Zemo.

 

"The shapeshifter transformed into Agent Carter." Zemo gestured to the unconscious Sharon, having adapted a German accent.

 

"Right. We'll take her in." The other guard nodded. They then let Mystique and Zemo pass before picking up Sharon and dragging her away. The two villains then strolled to an armoured truck and got in, Mystique driving. They reached the gate, and Mystique put her eye to the scanner. The gate opened, and the two drove away.

 

"Where are we going?" Zemo asked.

 

"You ever been to Egypt?" Mystique asked.

 


 

Above the Atlantic Ocean

June 2nd, 2021

 


 

Sam, Bucky, and Laura stood in the Quinjet, looking at a news feed.

 

"Convicted terrorist and the man responsible for the Avengers Civil War, Helmut Zemo, has been broken out of prison by an unknown shapeshifter. The shapeshifter took the forms of Agents Everett Ross and Sharon Carter in the breakout before the real Sharon Carter managed to stop the shapeshifter. The assailant is now being held behind heavy security." The newscaster explained.

 

"I don't like it." Laura said.

 

"Don't like what?" Sam asked.

 

"This is Mystique we're talking about. She's a master at prison breaks. It's not her style to get caught." Laura explained. Bucky's eyes narrowed.

 

"That's not Mystique." Bucky said. Laura gave a confused look.

 

"Barnes, are you crazy? That Xavier guy's a psychic. He said it's Mystique." Captain America raised his brow.

 

"No, I mean..." Bucky began before rewinding the feed.

 

"...took the forms of Agents Everett Ross and Sharon Carter in the breakout before the real Sharon Carter managed to stop the shapeshifter. The assailant is now being held behind heavy security." The report played back.

 

"That's not Mystique they have contained." Sam realized. He paused for a moment. "Shit."

Notes:

I hope y'all enjoyed!

Chapter 3: Impostor Syndrome

Summary:

Sam, Bucky, and Laura arrive in Germany to collect Sharon Carter. Mystique and Zemo flee to Egypt.

Notes:

If y'all have questions, feel free to leave them in the comments or hop on over to my Tumblr.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Captain's Log

Entry 003:

 

Right, so these Mutants? Crazy shit. When I said that everyone has a gimmick these days, I didn't realize how right I was. We've got a kid with wings, we've got a guy who's a big blue furry man almost as strong as Rhodey's armour, we've got a lady with metal claws and ridiculous healing powers, and we've got a lady who be literally anyone. I miss the days when the weirdest heroes were Vision, Wanda, and Thor. Well, I've got a job to do. And at least Xavier is training a school of heroes.

 

My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America.

 


 

Berlin

June 3rd, 2021

 


 

Sam, Bucky, and Laura disembarked from the Quinjet, dressed in civilian clothing.

 

"More Americans, great." One of the guards groaned quietly as the three walked by.

 

"Do I tell him I'm Canadian?" Laura whispered to Bucky.

 

"No, that would probably just annoy him more." Bucky replied. Everett Ross emerged from the building.

 

"Captain. Soldier. Girl I don't know." Ross nodded at Sam, Bucky, and Laura in rapid succession.

 

"The name's Laura Howlett. I'm... Their backup. The shapeshifter is in my wheelhouse." Wolverine explained. Ross nodded slowly.

 

"Right. I'll... Take you to the prisoner, then." Ross said.

 


 

Hannover

June 3rd, 2021

 


 

Mystique and Zemo drove in silence, Mystique having changed her form to one similar to her true state, but with pale skin rather than blue and blue-green eyes rather than yellow. Zemo was dressing in black pants, boots, and a button up shirt. The two had ditched the military vehicle and now were driving a silver Ford Focus.

 

"Your benefactor. Who is he?" Zemo finally asked.

 

"He's a Mutant too, but far more powerful. The more Mutants there are, the stronger he becomes." Mystique explained. She then reached into her bag, pulling a mask out. "That's a Photostatic Veil. Developed for SHIELD for covert operations. It's not as good as my powers, but it'll change your face and voice."

 

"Thank you." Zemo said, putting it on. His face shifted, and his appearance became that of the guard he had taken his military gear from at the Facility.

 

"We're flying to Hurghada. We take off in a few hours." Mystique explained.

 


 

Berlin

June 3rd, 2021

 


 

Sam, Bucky, Laura, and Ross entered the room where Sharon's cell was being kept. Sharon was pacing in the containment module before stepping up to the glass with a look of absolute relief.

 

"Sam, Barnes, thank God you two are here. They think I'm the shapeshifter. I'm equal parts flattered and insulted." Sharon explained. She then paused, looking at Laura. "And who are you?"

 

"I'm Laura. I'm helping these two with their mission." Laura explained.

 

"Awesome. Can you get me out of here?" Agent 13 smiled.

 

"Not so fast. We aren't totally sure that she's not our shapeshifter yet." Ross cut in.

 

"Mystique can't absorb memories. Ask her something only the real Sharon would know." Wolverine folded her arms and shrugged.

 

"Right." Sam nodded. He and Bucky then did a terrible two-man huddle.

 

"What do we ask her?" Bucky asked.

 

"Hell if I know. Are you the master interrogator?" Sam asked.

 

"Okay, fine. Let me think." The Winter Soldier sighed.

 

"We're on the clock here." Captain America replied.

 

"Don't rush me!" Barnes growled.

 

"Of course, your majesty!" Wilson growled back.

 

"I've got something!" Bucky yelled.

 

"About time, Barnes!"

 

"Piss off, Wilson!"

 

"Guys." Sharon groaned.

 

"Right." Bucky said. The two broke from their huddle. "Okay, Sharon. Before the Avengers Civil War, you delivered our gear to us. What happened after that?"

 

"Oh, damn it. You chose this?" Sharon groaned. "Ugh. After I gave you guys your gear, Steve and I talked. And then we kissed. It was weird. He leaned, like, 30 to 40% of the way in for the kiss. I think he might have originally been going for a hug, but I grabbed his head because my brain and my lips were thinking two very different things. My brain was thinking "Sharon, don't! Him and Aunt Peggy! He could have been your uncle!", but my lips were thinking "Screw that, you can make out with Captain America!". So we kissed." Sharon put her head in her hands as Laura and the guards suppressed laughter. Ross was left with a dumbfounded look as Bucky and Sam looked at each other.

 

"That was worth the time it took you to come up with it, Barnes." Sam grinned.

 

"Shut up, Wilson." Bucky rolled his eyes.

 

"I..." Ross began. "I... I honestly would have been convinced by you just saying you gave Team Cap their gear back. But the honesty does..." He choked back a giggle. "Reinforce it."

 

"Can you guys let me out of here?" Sharon asked, blushing.

 

"Open it up, you two." Ross ordered the guards. They nodded, pressing their hands to the scanners. Agent 13's cell opened, and she stepped out. She then walked over to Bucky and punched him in his flesh and blood shoulder.

 

"Dick move, Barnes." Sharon shook her head in annoyance.

 

"Hey, at least he didn't do it in front of Steve." Sam defended Bucky.

 

"That..." Carter paused. "Is a fair point."

 


 

Bucky, Sharon, and Laura stood in the Quinjet, looking over a map. Sam walked out of the cockpit and up to them.

 

"Security at a car park about half an hour away from the JCTCTF Facility shows two people looking like me and Zemo stealing a silver Ford Focus." Sharon explained.

 

"Do we have the plates?" Sam asked.

 

"No. The camera quality is crap." Agent 13 shook her head.

 

"We can use her MO. She's likely heading to an airport to flee to some country far away." Laura piped up.

 

"There's a lot of airports in Germany. 'Heading to an airport' doesn't really narrow it down too far." Bucky replied.

 

"We should call in some help. Laura, do you think your Professor can find them?" Sam asked.

 

"No. Mystique's powers prevent her from being detected by the Professor. She's also known to carry mental dampening tech for when she needs to hide someone else. It just seems to the Professor that there's nothing there." Wolverine explained.

 

"This dampening tech. What does it run on?" Sharon asked.

 

"A material called duralumin. It's non-magnetic, undetectable by airport security measures, gives off ELF radio waves when in use." Laura explained.

 

"ELF waves match the frequency of lightning and magnetism. We can track that with the right equipment." Agent 13 told the group.

 

"Looks like we're going to Wakanda." Sam nodded.

Notes:

So, any thoughts on who Mystique's benefactor is?

Also, I'm considering a series of one-shots for the universe. Would y'all like to see that?

Chapter 4: Pasts and Panthers

Summary:

Team Cap goes to Wakanda for help. Mystique and Zemo arrive in Egypt.

Notes:

Right, so I don't think I quite explained what the one-shots would entail last chapter. They'd be in-canon with the universe, but they'd be little tidbits or stories that just weren't told. The Wedding Afterparty, Corvus, Tony, and Nebula in space, the alternate Black Order's fight against the alternate Korath and Ronan, etc.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Captain's Log

Entry 004:

 

I hate shapeshifters. They make the job really difficult. I mean, I know the Reality Stone lets Vision do it, but he's not a massive dick. Loki's... Loki, but he's busy doing stuff with his brother, so he's not making my life bullshit. But this Mystique chick? God, I hate her. And Zemo. Come on! Why free him? There's something going on here, and I wish our resident mind readers could figure it out.

 

My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America.

 


 

Wakanda

June 3rd, 2021

 


 

Team Cap disembarked from the Quinjet on the Wakandan landing pad, where Shuri and Okoye waited for them.

 

"Do we bow?" Sharon whispered to Sam.

 

"Not that kind of country. Rhodey got Bruce to do it when we showed up before Thanos, though." Sam smiled. Sharon stifled a laugh.

 

"Captain, Sergeant. It's early, but it sounded urgent, so I'm not that annoyed." Shuri grinned.

 

"I am." Okoye piped up. Sharon stifled another laugh before  regaining her professional composure.

 

"My brother was going to meet you two as well, but he is rather busy with the Council preparing for the upcoming assembly of the United Nations." Shuri explained.

 

"That's alright, Shuri. You're just the Panther we needed to see." Bucky smiled.

 

"Ah, you have technology problems." The Black Pantheress realized.

 

"Yeah. We need to track a specific energy signature." Sam explained.

 

"It's a compound called duralumin. It's non-magnetic, and it gives off ELF radio waves when in use." Laura explained.

 

"Fascinating." Shuri smiled before pausing. "Who are you?"

 

"Oh, shit. My apologies, Queen Regent. My name is Laura Howlett." Laura explained.

 

"Vous ne devriez vraiment pas jurer devant la royauté." Sharon grinned at Laura, who gave Sharon an annoyed look.

 

"Honnêtement, je m'en fous." Shuri laughed. "Come, you two. Join me in my lab." Laura and Sharon then followed Shuri into the palace, leaving Sam and Bucky with Okoye.

 

"I assume you'll be staying for a bit. You know your way to the guest wing." Okoye said plainly before walking away.

 


 

Egypt

June 3rd, 2021

 


 

Mystique and Zemo drove a blue Mazda 3 down a quiet and arid road with various rocks and sand structures in the distance.

 

"Where are we going?" Zemo asked.

 

"Are you familiar with the Valley of the Kings?" Mystique answered his question with one of her own.

 

"I have a passing familiarity. My son... He quite liked Ancient Egypt." Zemo said, his voice sad.

 

"Well, that's where we're going. That's where my benefactor is. It'll make more sense when we get there." The Mutant explained. Zemo nodded slowly. The two sat in silence for a little while longer. "Tell me about yourself, Zemo. I'm curious."

 

"I was born in 1978 in Sokovia. I was 13 when the Soviet Union fell and my mother died for being a Soviet loyalist. I eventually became a Colonel in the Sokovian Special Intelligence Forces and the head of the covert squad EKO Scorpion. I met a woman, we had a son. My father lived with us, we were a happy family. Then the Avengers battled Ultron in Sokovia. I lost everyone."

 

"And then you got your revenge." Mystique nodded. "I'm... I'm quite a bit older than most people. I was born in the 1800s. I took on the persona of a British detective and met my wife, Irene Alder. I lost her to the serial killer Jack the Ripper. I... Thought I was alone. Then my benefactor came to me. Gave me a new purpose. I've never looked back."

 


 

Wakanda

June 3rd, 2021

 


 

Sam sat on a couch in the guest quarters of the Wakandan Palace, dressed in civilian attire. His face was a pondering one, his gaze locked on his shield. Bucky entered the room from the bathroom, also dressed in civilian attire. His face was shaved to a neat five o'clock shadow, and his hair was freshly washed.

 

"What's going on, Sam? Why so glum?" Bucky asked, sitting down in a chair next to the couch.

 

"I'm just... Thinking, y'know?" Sam replied.

 

"About the shield?" The Winter Soldier asked.

 

"Yeah." Captain America nodded. He sighed. "After Stark's wedding, I tried the shield on. I said it felt like it belonged to someone else. Steve told me it didn't. I promised him that I'd do my best. He said that's why it was mine." Sam paused and looked at Bucky. "And my best has sucked so far. One guy in Central Park, and I needed to get my ass saved. Now we're on a wild goose chase against something that's way out of my league." Another pause, another sigh. "Honestly, I don't know why he didn't give it to you. You're a way more obvious choice. You're an actual super soldier. I'm just a para-rescue guy who worked at the VA after retiring."

 

"Sam." Bucky cut in. "You want to know the most important part of being Captain America?"

 

"Sure." Sam raised an eyebrow at Bucky's question.

 

"It's not the shield, it's not the uniform. It's the willingness to get up, no matter who knocks you down." Barnes explained. "Steve always had someone supporting him. The Howling Commandos during the war. The Avengers when the universe was at stake. You, Natalia, Fury, Sharon, and Hill during the Insight Crisis. A team when you were trying to help me."

 

"Captain America's a leader." Wilson pondered.

 

"No. Captain America is a title." Bucky shook his head. "I didn't follow Captain America. I followed Steve Rogers. Hell, no. That little guy from Brooklyn who was too dumb not to run away from a fight, I followed him. And now? I'm following Sam Wilson. You're right, you're just a para-rescue guy who worked at the VA after retiring. But you put those wings back on when Steve Rogers needed your help. You became an Avenger. You picked up that shield."

 

"That means a helluva lot." Sam smiled. "Thanks."

 

"You're welcome. I'm here for whatever help you need. Whatever makes that shield feel lighter." The Winter Soldier smiled.

 

"You're damn good at this therapy thing, you know?" Captain America chuckled before looking back at his shield.

 

"I learned from the best." Bucky smiled, looking at his partner.

 


 

Egypt

June 3rd, 2021

 


 

Mystique and Zemo walked through a rocky valley, the sky showing faint signs of a future sunrise. Mystique had morphed into her natural form, with Zemo having shed his Photostatic Veil. Various entrances to tombs sat behind locked gates, and Mystique led Zemo to one tomb in particular.

 

"Tutankhamun." Zemo read the sign.

 

"Egypt's most famous Pharaoh. But what do we really know about him?" Mystique asked, pulling a key from her suit and unlocking the gate. The two descended a staircase, with Zemo's steps being far more measured and respectful than Mystique. "What's the matter, Zemo? Afraid of tombs?"

 

"It is just..." Zemo began before pausing, looking at the body of the Boy King. "Being in a home of the dead evokes powerful emotions. The loss of my family is fresh."

 

"Hmm." The Mutant nodded, cracking her knuckles and putting her hands on the side of the case Tutankhamun's body laid within. "All this time, archaeologists have been looking within the walls of this tomb for another chamber." The case shifted, and another staircase was revealed. "When they should have been looking underneath." The two villains then descended the staircase, and the case containing the mummy slid back over the stairs.

Notes:

Feel free to request one-shots if you've got an idea you'd like to see me write. My one rule is it cannot be a future event, IE two characters having a child that hasn't appeared yet. I will also veto any one-shots that will have a part in a later story.

Chapter 5: The First One

Summary:

Team Cap bonds in Wakanda. Zemo meets Mystique's benefactor.

Notes:

This should hopefully be a long chapter, folks!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Captain's Log

Entry 005:

 

I think Bucky's been making heart-eyes at me. Like, it's been a month since we all came back from the stupid purple fuck's Snap, and every day we'll be doing something like hanging out in the common room of the Facility. Sometimes I'll look up and he'll look away or he'll raise his phone up. I don't know, maybe I'm just reading into this too deep. It's nice having him watching my back, no matter what he's actually watching. God, I hope he doesn't read these.

 

My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America.

 


 

Wakanda

June 3rd, 2021

 


 

Sam and Bucky sat across from each other, eating breakfast. Bucky had two fried eggs and a large piece of mutton along with a glass of milk in front of him. Sam was busying himself with a plate of cinnamon and lamb rice and some toast along with a glass of mango juice. Sharon and Laura sat down at the table as well. Laura had two perch fillets, three scrambled eggs, cinnamon rice, and two pieces of toast on her plates, and she poured herself a cup of tea from a nearby kettle. Sharon had the same meal as Bucky, but had replaced one of the eggs with a two pieces of toast and the glass of milk with a cup of coffee. Sam looked at Laura's meal in shock.

 

"My healing factor gives me an insane appetite. I mean, it's great, I can come back from damn near anything. But, like... I'd love to eat out, feel full, and not get a bill at a restaurant over 40 bucks for once." Laura explained.

 

"The Serum gives me that, just less intense." Bucky piped up.

 

"Yeah, but you qualify for the seniors discount at restaurants." Sharon smirked before taking a bite of egg. Bucky gave her an annoyed look.

 

"Ah, the healing factor breakfast! I'm quite familiar." T'Challa chuckled as he entered, pouring himself a cup of tea. He then walked over to the counter, put a piece of mutton and a fried egg between two pieces of toast, and bit into it. Sharon's eyes widened briefly at his creation.

 

"Insane food creations is the most healing factor thing possible." Bucky remarked. Sharon nodded slowly.

 

"Oh, Agent Carter. My sister wanted a word with you once you had grabbed some food. Head down to her lab. Take your breakfast with you." T'Challa explained. Sharon nodded, picking up her food and coffee before leaving. "And Captain, the Tribal Council and I needed a word with you, if you don't mind."

 

"Sure, no worries." Sam picked up his plate, leaving Laura and Bucky alone at the table. The two sat in silence for a few moments before Laura looked at Bucky.

 

"So." Laura piped up, setting her fork down.

 

"So?" Bucky asked before taking a bite of egg.

 

"You and Cap?" Wolverine pried. Bucky began to cough and choke, and Laura smacked him on the back.

 

"W-What?" The Winter Soldier gave her a confused look after clearing his throat of the egg.

 

"Wait, you're not?" The Mutant paused. "All the looks you've been giving him, I thought... Oh." Her face gained a face of realization. "You're not together, but you do like him."

 

"Damn, you're keen." Barnes sighed into his hand. Laura smirked.

 

"He doesn't know, does he?" Laura asked. Bucky shook his head.

 

"Hell, I don't even know if he likes guys." Bucky groaned.

 

"Only one way to find out. Ask him." Wolverine said in a tone that indicated it was obvious. Bucky sighed again.

 

"I... I can't. Not yet. Not with everything going on right now. Time's not right." The Winter Soldier sighed before taking a drink of milk.

 

"The time's never right. You just have to pick one." Laura said before biting into her fish.

 


 

Egypt

June 3rd, 2021

 


 

Mystique and Zemo descended the staircase, eerie lights around them. Various paintings in the Egyptian style sat on the walls, the colours vibrant in the dark atmosphere. He saw four figures surrounding a grey-blue pyramid. The first was younger than the rest and wore a white Atef crown and had dark green, almost black, skin with pale wings forged of bone and bandages and a mace in his hand. The second wore a blue Khepresh crown and shining silver armour, bore two curved swords in his hands, and had blood red skin and yellow eyes. The third wore a white Khat headdress and robe, held a green sickle and a whip in her hands, and had blue skin and green eyes. Finally, the fourth wore a red Deshret crown and a cloak of yellow snake scales, had an outstretched arm with a cobra curling around it, and had pale white skin and red eyes.

 

"Who are these four?" Zemo asked.

 

"My son, my wife, my vizier, and my general. My first four principle followers. My Horsemen, if you will." A voice came from further down the corridor. Zemo and Mystique walked, and Zemo saw a statue. The man depicted was tall, muscular, wore ornate armour, and had lines going from his lips to raised circles where his ears should be along with glowing white eyes.

 

"Who are you?" Zemo asked.

 

"I have gone by many names. Amenhotep. Akhenaten. The Heretic King. En Sabah Nur. But I prefer... Apocalypse." A deep voice came from within the statue.

 

"The End Times?" Zemo asked.

 

"No, but that is a common misconception." Apocalypse explained, taking the tone of a father educating a child. "Apocalypse does not mean "The End Times", it means "Revelation". And that is what I am. A revelation. I was and am The First Mutant."

 

"What happened to you?" Zemo asked.

 

"I was betrayed by my general's son, Paramasse. He was like his father, a Mutant. But he was mightier than the rest of us. He was gifted with the ability to channel an ancient force of comic power, and the even greater gift of leadership. He raised a group of similarly gifted warriors to fight me. The host of the Spirit of Vengeance, who rode upon a fiery steed. A warrior-king imbued with the might of an indestructible metal from beyond the stars. The chosen avatar of the Moon God Khonshu. And Odin, the Prince of a place known as Asgard." En Sabah Nur said, his tone infuriated at the past, yet not at Zemo.

 

"And what do you want with me?" The Colonel asked.

 

"As I'm sure my child told you, I wish to thank you. I desire to give you power in exchange for your...  Continued service. You can take that power and continue in my service, or you can leave and never hear from me or my forces again." Apocalypse continued.

 

"I..." Zemo paused, considering his options. "I accept." The statue's eyes then flashed, and Zemo's body glowed. When the light subsided, and Zemo looked down at his hand. He now wore a purple balaclava and trench coat over golden and purple armour, and he had multiple weapons on his armour. He had two pistols strapped to his chest, submachine guns on his thighs, a grenade launcher on his right shin, a dagger on his left shin, and a sword and an RPG on his back.

 

"Behold. My new Horseman of War." En Sabah Nur chuckled.

 


 

Wakanda

June 3rd, 2021

 


 

Sam and T'Challa entered the Throne Room, where Anubis, Nakia, Okoye, and the other Elders were waiting.

 

"Ah, Captain America." Anubis smiled.

 

"Anubis, good to see you. Rhodey says hi." Sam smiled at the God of the Dead.

 

"How nice. Give him my regards, will you?" Anubis asked. Sam smiled and nodded.

 

"Excuse me, Lord Anubis and Captain Wilson. If you could have a seat, we would like to begin." Nakia asked. The group all sat, with T'Challa in his throne and Sam in a guest chair.

 

"In the interest of transparency with our allies, we would like to inform you that we are developing a weapon using the Power Stone entrusted to our care by Vision and Wanda." Okoye explained, a blueprint of a sword shaped cannon with a split down the middle of the 'blade' projecting from her Kimoyo Beads.

 

"Combining the might of Vibranium with the mystical power of Uru from Nidavellir, we are working with Eitri with consultation from Captain Danvers and Corvus Glaive to create this. The Infinity Sword." Nakia added.

 

"What's the potential destructive ability?" Sam asked.

 

"It's surface to air, and designed to destroy a ship similar to Thanos' Sanctuary II." T'Challa explained.

 

"Sounds useful. We won't always have Carol or Thor around to be our heavy hitters. I like it. Keep me posted on the developments." Captain America requested.

 


 

Sharon and Shuri stood in Shuri's lab, looking over a map of Germany, with the locations of the airports marked.

 

"Hmm... If we triangulate with the radio towers around all the major German airports, we should be able to track residual energy from Mystique's psychic inhibitor." Shuri explained, typing in some information.

 

"And if we compare the radio waves given off by a lightning bolt, we should find some baseline." Sharon added as Bucky and Laura walked in.

 

"If only we could summon a lightning bolt at will." Shuri sighed.

 

"We can. Set your lightning sensor to 177 Bleaker Street. I'll make a call." Bucky ordered before touching his hand to his ear. "Vision, do you copy? Don't ask why, but I need you to go on the Sanctum's roof and summon a lightning bolt." Shuri gave Bucky a thumbs up as the screen beeped. "Great, thanks."

 

"Alright, we have it. Matching signals Mystique and Zemo got on a plan to Hurghada, Egypt." The Black Pantheress explained.

 

"Alright, get Sam and pack your sunscreen. Team Cap's going to Egypt." Agent 13 ordered. Laura, Shuri, and Bucky gave her a confused look.

 

"What the hell was that?" Wolverine whispered.

 

"I don't know, and I don't want to." The Winter Soldier replied.

Notes:

Doom, Galactus, and now Apocalypse. Plenty of Big Bad material in this universe.

Chapter 6: Captains and Kings

Summary:

Team Cap arrives in Egypt and confronts Apocalypse.

Notes:

This story ain't done yet, folks! I think we're about... 1/3-1/2 of the way through.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Captain's Log

Entry 006:

 

Well, Egypt. Always thought Egypt was cool. My mom took me to a King Tut exhibit once. Fun times with her. Now that I'm rolling out with Laura, Sharon, and Bucky to fight a couple of villains there, I'm pretty intrigued. I mean, they're in the Valley of the Kings. Maybe I can convince Bucky to join me in some of the tombs after. There's some really nice art in those. We could make it a... Make it a date? Was I really just about to say that? God, I hope he doesn't read these. I mean, how do you tell your best friend you like them? Ridiculous.

 

My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America.

 


 

Egypt

June 3rd, 2021

 


 

Sam, Bucky, Sharon, and Laura stood in the Quinjet, suited up.

 

"We don't know what we're going into, but we've going in guns blazing. Mystique and Zemo are in the Valley of the Kings, and we have no idea why or what they're there for. Watch each other's backs. Let's do this." Sam ordered. The door opened, and the four heroes walked out. They saw Mystique and Zemo waiting for them, the slowly rising sun bringing light over the horizon.

 

"Is Sam going to say it?" Laura whispered to Sharon.

 

"Here's hoping." Sharon replied.

 

"Avengers..." Sam began. Sharon and Laura gave each other happy nods. "Let's kick some ass."

 

"Motivational." Bucky chuckled. Sam took his shield off of his back and Laura popped her claws with a snikt as Bucky and Sharon switched the safety of their guns.

 

"I don't suppose we can convince you to come quietly?" Sharon asked. Zemo replied by pulling the RPG launcher from his back and firing it at the heroes. Captain America and Wolverine jumped in front of the Winter Soldier and Agent 13, blocking the blast with their respective shield and body. Laura looked down at her hip, seeing both her skin and her suit healing.

 

"Nanotech suit works. Nice." She smiled before running at the two villains. Sam took to the air as Sharon opened fire.

 

"Sharon, hold this!" Bucky yelled, tossing his gun to Sharon. She caught it with a shocked look as Bucky began to punch his Vibranium arm. Captain America swooped down and blocked a hail of pistol shots from Zemo as Laura wrapped her legs around Mystique's waist and spun, knocking the shapeshifter off balance.

 

"The hell's he doing?" The Airborne Avenger asked.

 

"I don't know, he's your partner." The Clawed X-Man replied. Bucky then ran at Zemo, and Sam saw that his arm was glowing. Bucky slammed his fist into Zemo's face, creating a kinetic shockwave that knocked the Horseman of War down.

 

"Oh, yeah. Wakandan tech." Sharon nodded, tossing Bucky's gun back to him. The three Avengers and one X-Man then pointed their weapons at Mystique, who stepped into a fighting pose.

 

"Enough." En Sabah Nur's voice came from the Valley itself. One of the walls of the Valley shuddered, and a living statue of a Pharaoh emerged.

 

"Akhenaten." Sharon gasped. The other three heroes looked at her in confusion. "In university, one of my minors was Egyptology."

 

"You are correct, Sharon Carter." En Sabah Nur's voice came from the statue. "I was Akhenaten. But I am now... Apocalypse."

 

"And I'm YOUR end times." Laura smirked, running at Apocalypse. The statue's hand raised, freezing Laura mid run. Her face became a look of fear as she lifted into the air and her arms spread to her sides.

 

"My child, you are no where near my end." He chuckled. He closed his fist, and Laura folded in half backwards, snapping her spine. He then threw her at the feet of the other Avengers, who looked at her crumpled form in horror. Sam bent down and picked up Laura as Bucky and Sharon opened fire on the three villains to cover the retreat. Zemo and Mystique were about to give chase as the Avengers reached the Quinjet, but the avatar of En Sabah Nur held up his hands to stop them. "Let them run. They are of no consequence to me or my plans." The statue then dissolved into dust and filled in the whole in Valley wall from whence it came.

 


 

Above the Atlantic Ocean

June 3rd, 2021

 


 

Sam sat in the pilot's seat of the Quinjet, flying quietly. Bucky was running maintenance on his arm as Sharon sat next to the folded Laura.

 

"Sharon, a little help." Laura groaned, causing Sharon to jump in shock.

 

"Oh my God, you're okay!" Sharon gasped.

 

"Yeah. Healing factor." Wolverine replied as if it was meant to be obvious to Sharon. "Now could you help me unfold my back so I don't heal wrong?"

 

"Yeah, of course!" Agent 13 said, rolling Laura onto her side. "This is, uh.... Probably going to hurt."

 

"Shut up and re-break my back so I can un-break my back." Laura snarled. Sharon nodded and grabbed Laura's foot. She began to push in the Mutant's back and pull on her leg, but couldn't get much progress.

 

"Need a hand?" Bucky asked.

 

"Please." Sharon replied. Bucky's metal arm then landed on the table. "Did you just Toy Story us?"

 

"It's charged with kinetic energy. Wedge it between her halves." Bucky explained, turning to his computer with a shit-eating grin.

 

"Fucking... This is gonna suck." Laura groaned.

 


 

Egypt

June 3rd, 2021

 


 

Mystique and Zemo stood in En Sabah Nur's prison, looking upon his statue sarcophagus.

 

"My Horsemen, I have a job for you." En Sabah Nur explained. Mystique quickly knelt, with Zemo following suit after a pause.

 

"What do you need?" Mystique asked.

 

"I am bound to this prison of stone, my powers trapped within this Valley. I require a key, a way to unlock the souls trapping me here. A being empowered by the Soul Stone will do." Apocalypse instructed.

 

"That's an issue. The Avengers used the Soul Stone to bring back everyone, and now it's hidden... Somewhere." The Horseman of Pestilence explained.

 

"There are two beings with the power I need. Adam Warlock, who holds the Stone itself. However, he is somewhere in the cosmos. But there is another. The former Stonekeeper of the Soul Stone. Johann Schmidt, the Red Skull. He's on Earth after being freed from his chains on Vormir by Thanos. Find him, bring him to me. Alive. I'm sure that's within your powers." The First Mutant ordered. Mystique and Zemo rose.

 

"We will not fail you." Mystique smiled.

 


 

New York

June 3rd, 2021

 


 

Sam and Sharon sat on the couch in the common area of the Avengers Facility, two drinks on the coffee table. Sharon's hair was drying from a shower, and she was brushing it absentmindedly.

 

"This has been an adventure." Sharon sighed.

 

"Damn right." Sam replied, putting his head back on the top of the couch.

 

"Laura's cool to work with, though. That healing factor's damn cool. And the nanotech suit. I need to get myself one of those." Agent 13 said longingly.

 

"Bucky throwing you his arm to re-break Laura's back with was hilarious." Captain America smiled.

 

"Ooh, you brought it around to Bucky." Agent Carter smirked. The Airborne Avenger gave her a confused look.

 

"The hell are you talking about?" Sam asked.

 

"Cap, Egyptology wasn't my only minor. I also minored in Sociology." Sharon gave him a smug grin.

 

"How did you find the time to have more than... Nevermind." Sam began before cutting himself off.

 

"My point is that I know when someone's got a crush. You like Barnes, it's really damn obvious. Tell him." Sharon instructed.

 

"I... I mean... Look, Sharon. How do you tell your best friend you like them?" Sam sputtered.

 

"With words. Flowers. Maybe a candlelit dinner if you feel fancy." Sharon rambled for a moment. "Just... Tell him. Be direct."

 

"I'll... Keep it in mind." Sam sighed.

Notes:

Well, I'm proud to now announce one more more story for this universe, one I didn't want to announce until the X-Men and Apocalypse was revealed.

Avengers/X-Men: Revelation. It's coming at the end of this phase.

Chapter 7: Shore Leave

Summary:

Team Cap takes some time to recover their bearings after the fight against Apocalypse.

Notes:

Time for some character driven stuff!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Captain's Log

Entry 007:

 

You know, I think Sharon might have a point. I really should ask Bucky out sometime. I mean, I could just ask him out for a beer as friends, read the room, and if the reading's good, make out with him. Ah, what am I talking about? I'm moving way too fast. I mean, does Bucky even like guys? His and Steve reminisced about some girl during the war called... Dolores, I think? Bucky and her were a thing for at least a little bit.

 

My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America.

 


 

New York

June 3rd, 2021

 


 

Sharon walked into the common room of the Avengers Facility holding two bottles of beer, where Bucky was sitting and braiding a lock of his hair.

 

"Where'd you learn how to braid?" Sharon asked, handing Bucky one of the beer bottles.

 

"I had three sisters growing up. Best way to deal with the long hair." Bucky explained.

 

"Maybe get a haircut? I know a good barber on 4th Street." Sharon snarked. Bucky rolled his eyes and ran his metal thumb up the neck of the bottle, and the cap popped right off. Sharon, not one to be outdone, pulled her gun from her hip and pointed it at the top of the bottle.

 

"No, no. Bad idea!" Bucky said before putting his Vibranium hand up to the other side of the bottle. "Let's not have any ricochets."

 

"Sounds fun." Sharon grinned. She then pulled the trigger, and the top of the bottle shattered. The two looked down at the bottle, disappointed.

 

"WHAT THE SHIT WAS THAT?" Sam yelled from the next room over.

 

"My gun misfired!" Agent 13 fibbed. She then pointed at Barnes. "Say nothing."

 

"You might want to get a cup." The Winter Soldier deadpanned, setting the crumpled bullet on the table. Sharon nodded, taking her topless beer to back to the kitchen before returning moments later with it in a wine glass. "Why did... I don't... Alright."

 

"So." Agent 13 said, raising her wine glass of beer to her mouth.

 

"So?" The Winter Soldier asked, taking a drink of beer.

 

"You like Sam." Sharon said plainly. Bucky squeezed the beer bottle with his metal hand, shattering it and spilling beer all over himself.

 

"Fuck." Bucky groaned.

 

"Look, clean yourself up, and then take a listen to this. I found some recordings from Sam that I think you'll want to hear." Sharon handed Bucky her phone, a file labelled 'Captain's Logs' on them.

 

"Okay." Bucky sighed.

 


 

Bucky laid on his bed, Sharon's phone in his hand and headphones on his head.

 

"Captain's Log, Entry 1. You know, when Steve asked me to become Captain America, I told him the shield felt like it belonged to someone else. The shield is mine but... I don't know, feels weird to hold it still. I love the new suit, though. It's flashy, and it looks damn stylish. T'Challa and Shuri provided Vibranium weave for the suit, and trust me. Feels good to be bulletproof. Quote that weird video the Spider-Kid showed me, my shield is the size of a dinner plate. My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America." Sam's voice came through Bucky's headphones. Bucky smiled.

 

"The suit is damn good. Does wonders for Sam's ass." Bucky said to himself. "God, did I really just say that?"

 

"Captain's Log, Entry 2. Right, so this Laura chick? Insane plane. I mean, it's a Blackbird. The Quinjet's cool and fancy but Blackbirds have style. Style aside, she's got skills. Those claws are handy in a fight, and she's fast. The fight against this Avalanche guy would've been a helluva lot longer without her. I really need to get better with this shield. Captain America can't keep getting his ass saved. Bucky will never let me live it down. My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America."

 

"God, Sam's cute when he's worried about what I think." Bucky sighed.

 

"Captain's Log, Entry 5. I think Bucky's been making heart-eyes at me. Like, it's been a month since we all came back from the stupid purple fuck's Snap, and every day we'll be doing something like hanging out in the common room of the Facility. Sometimes I'll look up and he'll look away or he'll raise his phone up. I don't know, maybe I'm just reading into this too deep. It's nice having him watching my back, no matter what he's actually watching. God, I hope he doesn't read these. My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America."

 

"Oh, God. Was it really that obvious? I mean, Sharon and Laura found out. And of course I won't read them. They're audio logs, you adorable idiot." Bucky sighed happily.

 

"Captain's Log, Entry 6. Well, Egypt. Always thought Egypt was cool. My mom took me to a King Tut exhibit once. Fun times with her. Now that I'm rolling out with Laura, Sharon, and Bucky to fight a couple of villains there, I'm pretty intrigued. I mean, they're in the Valley of the Kings. Maybe I can convince Bucky to join me in some of the tombs after. There's some really nice art in those. We could make it a... Make it a date? Was I really just about to say that? God, I hope he doesn't read these. I mean, how do you tell your best friend you like them? Ridiculous. My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America."

 

"Still audio logs, Sam. Wouldn't take much convincing to hang out, though. Especially when he likes you too." Bucky laughed.

 

"Captain's Log, Entry 7. You know, I think Sharon might have a point. I really should ask Bucky out sometime. I mean, I could just ask him out for a beer as friends, read the room, and if the reading's good, make out with him. Ah, what am I talking about? I'm moving way too fast. I mean, does Bucky even like guys? His and Steve reminisced about some girl during the war called... Dolores, I think? Bucky and her were a thing for at least a little bit. My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America."

 

"I like 'em both the same, Sam. But I really like you." Bucky smiled. The playback then stopped, and Bucky took his headphones off. "I should give Sharon her phone back."

 


 

Bucky walked into the main room of the Facility, where Sam and Laura were sitting with Sharon.

 

"Hey, you found my phone." Sharon smiled knowingly. She got up and Bucky tossed the phone to her. The comms screen of the Facility then started to beep. Sam raised his hand to accept the call, and Charles appeared on the screen.

 

"Ah, excellent. The number worked. Onto business. I've had my top scientist, Hank McCoy, look into Mystique's device. We believe it can be neutralized by a specific compound. Element 119, as recently discovered by an Australian team and named Melbournium, has the right radiation to be adapted into a bullet to neutralize the duralumin." Charles explained.

 

"Can you control a guard to get us some?" Laura asked.

 

"Unfortunately, no. The Melbournium is in a facility in Sydney called the Sydney Enhanced Energy Research Facility. They appear to have duralumin in the facility itself." Charles explained.

 

"So we're doing a heist. Neat." Sam sighed. "Thanks for the information, Professor Xavier."

 

"Good luck." Charles smiled before hanging up.

 

"A heist is a little out of our comfort zone." Sharon noted.

 

"Bucky and I know a guy." Sam smiled.

 


 

San Francisco

June 3rd, 2021

 


 

Sam, Bucky, Sharon, and Laura stepped out of a rental car in the driveway to a house.

 

"God, San Francisco's hot in the summer." Sharon complained, putting her hair up in a ponytail.

 

"Maybe get a haircut. I know a gal who knows a good barber on 4th Street." Bucky snarked at Sharon. She gave him an annoyed look, much to Sam and Laura's confusion. Sam knocked on the door, and a teenage girl opened it.

 

"Dad, you've got visitors!" She called into the house.

 

"Coming, Peanut!" Scott's voice ran out. He walked up to the door. "Sam, Bucky, Sharon, girl I don't know! Hey! What brings you to my neck of the woods?"

 

"Hey, Tic-Tac. We need a big favour." Sam smiled sheepishly.

Notes:

It's a long chapter because I felt cheap with the repeated Captain's Notes.

By the way, Captain Marvel: Phalanx will be starting soon.

Chapter 8: A Heist Down Under

Summary:

Team Cap and Ant-Man break into the SEER Facility to steal some Melbournium.

Notes:

Another hero chapter, folks! We'll have some villains next time, don't worry.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Captain's Log

Entry 008:

 

Well, we're making some progress on finding Mystique and Zemo with our telepaths. Fortunately, Tic-Tac agreed to help us get the Melbournium. Which is great. None of us are really heist material. Bucky and I are soldiers, Sharon's an intelligence agent, and Laura's... Well, Laura's Laura. We need to get these bullets. Bucky's going to make some awesome shots to Mystique's armour and look badass while doing it. Ah, shit, I brought it to Bucky. Sharon was so right.

 

My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America.

 


 

San Francisco

June 4th, 2021

 


 

So Sharon walks into the SEER Facility's front door dressed in a suit jacket, t-shirt, jeans, and glasses lookin' crazy stupid fine. She steps up to the metal detector and flicks her shoulder just before she enters. One of the guards gave her a look like!

 

"What was that, girl?"

 

And then Sharon's like!

 

"Sorry, man! Bug on my shoulder, y'know!"

 

So Scotty soars past the metal detector and lands on the other side! Sharon steps past the detector after being scanned and Scotty jumps onto her shoe. She bends down to tie it, and Scotty hops into Sharon's hand. The two walk down the hall until they reach a double sliding door to a lab, you know the one that all the labs in movies have. Sharon pulls a pen from her pocket and wedges it between the two doors, creating just enough room for Scotty to slide inside! An alarm goes off and two guards run up, seeing Sharon next to the door. And then one of the guards is like!

 

"Yo, what the hell's goin' on here?"

 

And Sharon's all!

 

"Man, I don't know! I was just walkin' by, mindin' my own business, when this door decided it didn't like me, homie!"

 

Meanwhile, Scotty continues through the lab until he happens upon the, uh... Melbournium! That's what it's called! He jumps up onto the table through a complicated series of parkour jumps because my man Scotty's good at that, but he gets sprayed by a scientist!

 


 

"Luis." Sam cut Luis off. Luis looked at Captain America, who was sitting on Scott's couch with Scott and Cassie. Sharon, Laura, and Bucky sat in arm chairs nearby, and Luis stood over the table.

 

"Yeah, Captain America?" Luis asked.

 

"We need a plan that gets us the Melbournium and doesn't end with Sharon arrested and Tic-Tac getting sprayed with RAID." Sam sighed.

 

"Right, right, sorry. I'm just really excited, y'know?" Luis rambled for a moment.

 

"Just... New plan." Captain America instructed.

 


 

Okay, okay. New plan. Aight, Laura walks into the front door of the SEER Facility wearin' a tank top with an intern's badge, tight jeans, and heels lookin' crazy stupid fine! She pauses before goin' into the metal detector, and the guard gives her a look like!

 

"Girl, you just walk through! It ain't scary!"

 

And then Laura's just like!

 

"Ay, I'm not afraid, homie! It's just that I was in this horrific car crash a while back, and I broke, like, all my bones, y'know! So I got all kinds of metal in my body holdin' me together!"

 

She then walks into the detector, and it beeps because y'know obviously it would! Her skeleton's coated in this sick ass metal! Scotty takes this opportunity to hop off of her and run through the Facility, dodgin' all the folks! My man Scotty doesn't want to be stepped on so he's goin' all serpentine! Laura finally passes security because y'ain't gonna hold up a girl who was in a car crash, right? She and Scotty make it to the lab, and Laura looks at the door all like!

 

"I could cut through this with my super sharp claws, but that'd set off all the alarms! It's your play, Scotty!"

 

So Scotty hops onto the security panel 'cause he knows Laura's right! He shrinks down even smaller than normal 'cause that super suit is super sick! I want a suit, y'know? Like, I asked Hope for a suit, doesn't even need to have powers. I just really want a-

 


 

"Luis." Scott cut Luis' tagent off. "The heist."

 

"Right, the heist." Luis nodded.

 


 

Where was I? Oh, yeah. The panel. Scotty grows a little bit inside the panel, and starts messin' with the wires because he's got mad electrical skills! The door opens, and Laura steps inside. Scotty gets out of the panel and starts going to the Melbournium. Laura sees the scientist in there, and she's like.

 

"Hey, man! You got a big brain! I bet you got a big appetite too! Wanna get lunch?"

 

And the scientist is all distracted because Laura's looking crazy stupid fine in that tank top and jeans and those heels! I mean, girl! You've got legs! And the scientist totally agrees, you know? He's all!

 

"Damn girl, that was a twist on a really bad pick up line, and I'm totally into that and this outfit! Let's hit the food place!"

 


 

"Luis, there's a problem with your plan. I don't own heels, and I definitely can't walk in them." Laura cut Luis off.

 

"Oh, totally cool. I can't either, so I respect that! Sorry for assuming, you know? We'll swap the heels for some nice boots!" Luis rambled apologetically for a moment.

 

"Those I own many of." Laura grinned.

 

"Aight, continuing the plan." Luis smiled back.

 


 

So Laura and the scientist get to the food place, and they get ready to get some grub. Maybe some fries? New York Fries is good. Maybe some Chinese food. What was I saying? Right. So they're at the food place, and the scientist bumps into another crazy stupid fine girl, and this chick's blonde. It's actually Sharon, and she nabs his clearance badge from him after being all like!

 

"Hey, man! I'm so sorry! I totally wasn't watching where I was goin'! That's my B!"

 

So while Laura has the scientist distracted because he's in heaven because a crazy stupid fine intern lady's chatting him up, Sharon gets the badge to Scotty. They get the Melbournium's safe open and then peace out of there!

 


 

"Boom! How's that for a plan?" Luis asked.

 

"Does he just call every attractive woman 'crazy stupid fine', or is that new?" Sharon asked Scott.

 

"No, he uses it from time to time." Scott explained.

 

"The plan has too many loose ends, Luis. We're counting on Scott not being seen or stepped on, Laura being let through the front door, the door to the lab having a control panel, the scientist being into girls..." Bucky began.

 

"And what if there's more than one scientist?" Sharon continued.

 

"And how are we going to get an intern's badge for Laura. Hell, we don't know if SEER has those." Scott added.

 

"Why doesn't Sam just suit up, walk in the front door, ask to meet with the head scientist, and ask for some Melbournium because the world is at stake?" Cassie piped up.

 

"That's ridiculous, Cassie. Not nearly elaborate enough to be a cool superhero thing." Luis shrugged.

 

"And it's too easy. It'll never work." Bucky added.

 


 

Syndey

June 4th, 2021

 


 

Sam shook hands with the head scientist of SEER.

 

"It's been a pleasure, Captain. I hope that our work can indeed help save the world." The scientist smiled.

 

"Thank you for your help, ma'am." Sam nodded, picking up a briefcase. He began to make his way outside the building when he was stopped by two young black women wearing intern badges.

 

"Son of a bitch, SEER does have intern badges." Sam said to himself.

 

"What?" One of the women asked.

 

"Sorry, just... Uh... Superhero thing I was remembering. What did you two need?" Captain America stumbled for a moment before regaining his composure.

 

"Would you mind getting a selfie with us?" The same woman asked.

 

"Sure." Sam shrugged. The other woman pulled her phone out and snapped a quick picture.

 

"Thank you." The woman who took the picture smiled. "For being Captain America. You know how much it means to us."

 

"I do my best. That's all I can do." Sam smiled back before leaving the building. Bucky, Sharon, Laura, and Scott waited by the car.

 

"Well that went... Surprisingly well." Scott nodded slowly.

 

"You know, I feel bad for flying you all the way out here, Tic-Tac." Captain America said sheepishly.

 

"Hey, it's no problem. I'll just keep tagging along if you don't mind. You never know when you need a BIG solution." Ant-Man laughed at his own joke.

 

"Get in the car, Scott." Sharon rolled her eyes.

Notes:

Yeah, that chapter summary was totally fake. Sorry to those hoping for an actual heist.

Anyways, Captain Marvel: Phalanx Chapter 1 is coming either next or after Chapter 9 of SW: CA!

Chapter 9: No Sacrifice, No Victory

Summary:

Team Cap returns to the X-Mansion with the Melbournium. Sam and Laura have a chat.

Notes:

Well, I think it's time to explain why Laura's the Wolverine and Logan isn't around, don't you?

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Captain's Log

Entry 009:

 

We've got the Melbournium, but we need to make it into a bullet. Xavier says one of his labs can help us out, so we're flying back to New York. This jet lag's insane. New York to Germany to Wakanda to Egypt to San Francisco to Sydney and now back to New York. Hey, at least Bucky looks cute when he's sleeping. God, maybe I should tell him.

 

My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America.

 


 

New York

June 4th, 2021

 


 

Sam, Bucky, Sharon, Laura, and Scott disembarked from the Quinjet and onto the lawn of the X-Mansion.

 

"Hey, Laura. I've been wondering." Sharon piped up as they walked towards the door. "This is a school. What happens in the summer? Do the students go home?"

 

"Some do. For others, this is home. Some Mutants are lucky. Their families sees beyond the powers. An even luckier few have Mutant parents or close relatives. But there are many who aren't lucky."

 

"God, that's..." Sharon sighed solemnly.

 

"The world Mutants live in." Laura smiled sadly. The five reached the door, and Laura opened it for her guests. They weaved through the somewhat empty halls, not seeinf many people except one woman with red hair and a man with red glasses. "Hey, Jean. Hey, Scott."

 

"Hey, Laura." Glasses Scott smiled. Jean scoffed briefly before she walked away. Scott looked at Laura's group and back to the retreating Jean. "Sorry, I, uh..."

 

"It's okay." Laura sighed sadly.

 

"Charles is waiting for you in the Biochem Room." Glasses Scott explained before he left in pursuit of Jean.

 

"What's her deal?" Shrinking Scott asked.

 

"It's... A long story." Laura explained. She then lead the group to the Biochem Room, where Charles was indeed waiting. With him was the blue furry man Sam and Bucky had seen earlier.

 

"Ah, Laura. Avengers. Good to see you. Mr. Lang, my name is Charles Xavier. We haven't met yet." Charles extended a hand to Scott, who shook it.

 

"It's a pleasure." Scott nodded.

 

"And this is Dr. Hank McCoy, the school's top scientist." Charles motioned to the blue furred man.

 

"Oh my God." Sharon's eyes widened at Hank, who gained a hesitant look.

 

"I know, I'm bl-" Hank began.

 

"You're Hank McCoy! I read some of your papers in university. They were recommended reading for my Chem program!" Agent 13 nerded out briefly.

 

"Always glad to meet a fan?" Hank nodded slowly. He then looked at Sam. "Could I see the Melbournium?"

 

"Sure." Sam handed Hank the case. Beast opened it, pulling the metal out.

 

"My stars and garters, it's incredible." Beast smiled. He then looked at the other heroes. "This will take a bit. Mr. Lang, your shrinking tech may help us out. And Sergeant Barnes, we'll need to plan for your shooting style. If you both could stay, that would be excellent."

 

"Sure." Bucky nodded.

 

"Professor, I'd love to pick your brain about a case the JCTC is working on. If you don't mind." Sharon asked.

 

"Of course, Agent Carter. Laura, why don't you give Captain Wilson a tour?" Charles smiled before looking at Laura, who nodded.

 


 

Laura and Sam sat on a balcony of the X-Mansion, cups of coffee in their hands.

 

"That Jean girl. What's her deal?" Sam asked. Laura sighed.

 

"You really want to know? It's... It's not pretty." Laura lookes at Sam.

 

"I worked as a grief councillor before putting my wings back on. I've heard a lot of dark stories. The point is to listen." Sam explained.

 

"It happened six years ago. A place in Alberta called Alkali Lake." Laura began.

 


 

Alkali Lake

August 2nd, 2015

 


 

Scott, Jean, and a man in a suit nearly identical to Laura's ran down the hallways of a facility. They all wore suits like Laura's, but they were coloured black and had different accent colours. Scott's had a visor and blue accents, including a large 'X' emblazoned on his chest. Jean had red accents and extended shoulder pieces with a small 'X' on each. The man in the suit like Laura's had yellow accents and had three claws on each hand. A massive squadron of soldiers emerged and moved towards the X-Men.

 

"Magneto, do you copy?" Jean said into her comms.

 

"I copy, Cerebra." A man with an accent that sounded like a blend of Irish, German, British, and Canadian spoke through the comms.

 

"We could use some backup down here. Do you think you can get us some?" Jean asked.

 

"On my way." Magneto replied.

 

"Put your hands behind your heads and get down on your knees, freaks!" One of the guards ordered. The three X-Men complied, raising their hands and kneeling. A bang was then heard above the three, and the man in a suit like Laura's smiled.

 

"Jean, Scott." The man began.

 

"Yes, Logan?" Scott asked.

 

"Get down." Logan finished. The ceiling then shattered, and a man in a suit like the other X-Men, but with a helmet, cape, and white accents, descended from the ceiling. The soldiers opened fire, but their bullets froze in the air before they could strike Magneto. Cyclops, Cerebra, and Wolverine rose and Cyclops fired a beam from his visor.

 

"Logan, save your daughter! We'll hold the line." Magneto ordered.

 

"Thanks, Erik." Logan smiled. He then broke into a sprint before Erik lifted him up with his powers and threw him past the guards. Logan landed on the other side as the door shuddered open. Wolverine slid under and the door slammed behind him. He ran up to Laura, who was tied down to a table with a giant vat of molten metal next to them.

 

"Dad?" Laura asked.

 

"It's me, Honey Badger." Logan smiled. "Did they hurt you?"

 

"They made me like you, Dad. The Adamantium. They figured it out. They can use it on anyone now." Laura explained frantically. Logan sliced through the restraints on Laura's limbs. She rose from the table and hugged her father. Laura walked to the door, getting to work on the panel.

 

"I'm sorry." Logan said sadly.

 

"It's okay, Dad. It's not your fault." Laura replied.

 

"Not about your skeleton." Wolverine said plainly. Laura turned and saw her father's claws slice through the side of the vat of Adamantium. The molten metal poured over him, and Laura could smell the melting flesh of her father. "I... Love... Y..." Logan's words were cut off by the Adamantium coating his head and mouth. The metal continued flowing until all that was left of Logan was a blob of shining silver.

 


 

"We lost my father because of me." Laura sighed.

 

"What happened to Magneto?" Sam asked.

 

"Erik felt guilty. He blamed himself for not being able to save my father from the Adamantium. He left. Founded a Mutant haven on Genosha for Mutants who leave the X-Mansion but either can't or don't want to go back to public society." Laura explained.

 

"That's... That's a lot. Logan and Jean were close?" Sam asked.

 

"Logan was like a father to a lot of X-Men. Not to the extent Erik and Charles are, but he was. Jean was one of them. He brought her to the Mansion when she was being attacked for her powers. She knew him for years longer than I did." Laura explained.

 

"She's hurting. Like you. The Snap didn't help that. More people gone for three years. The deaths that weren't and can't be fixed sting even harder." Sam explained.

 

"You're... You're good at this therapy thing, Sam." Laura smiled sadly. Sam laid a reassuring hand on her shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze.

 

"All I do is listen." Captain America smiled.

Notes:

If you haven't checked out Captain Marvel: Phalanx, Chapter 1 is posted!

Chapter 10: Headhunting

Summary:

Mystique and Zemo go after Red Skull in Europe. Apocalypse ponders his past and reflects on his future.

Notes:

Villain chapter!

Also, you should probably read my One-Shot "Journey Into Mystery" before you read this.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Captain's Log

Entry 010:

 

So I just... Really love these Mutants. They're hardcore cool. Healing factors, laser eyes, psychic powers, they're born special. But me? Man, I was born to be a soldier. I train for this, I have control. Well, control over my skills. Control over my life is another matter. I mean, I could tell Barnes how I feel and get that shit on lock, but... Love's scary, you know?

 

My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America.

 


 

Prague

June 5th, 2021

 


 

Mystique and Zemo disembarked from a train, looking around at their surroundings. Both were dressed in rather inconspicuous civilian attire that screamed 'American tourists on vacation' rather than 'Internationally wanted supervillains on the run from Captain America'.

 

"We need to find the seismic activity that Skull's causing. Summoning these creatures creates an intense amount of vibrations." Mystique explained as the two walked through the station.

 

"I'm curious as to why he's doing this." Zemo added.

 

"He's sending a message. He wants someone to find him so he can make a big return to the world. Starting small in Morocco and Mexico, then he brought his Hydro-Man to Venice. Now he's in Prague." Mystique sighed as the two descended a staircase.

 

"There's a massive summer carnival tonight. Good place to kill people and get that attention." Zemo considered.

 

"That's where we're going, then." Mystique smiled.

 


 

Egypt

June 5th, 2021

 


 

Apocalypse's tomb filled with an eerie air of fear as his statue shuddered. The rocks cracked and shattered as he stepped free from his avatar of a sarcophagus. The eerie light the tomb made his grey skin and blue markings seem even more otherworldly, and his black, inhuman eyes only added to this effect. He ran his hands along the walls of his tomb, eying the various paintings. He stopped at a depiction of a group consisting of a man dressing in the skins of a black panther, a man wearing the cloak and hood of a Moon Knight, a young Odin holding Mjolnir, a woman with a flaming skull, and a man in the centre wearing a Nemes headdress and bearing the flaming wings of a phoenix behind him.

 

"The Protathlités. My ancient foes. The ones who carry your torches will be thorns in my side in this future as well, but I will triumph over them where you triumphed over me." En Sabah Nur reminisced on his ancient defeat with a tone of fond respect. He then walked over to the depiction of his Horsemen, a longing smile appearing on his face. En Sabah Nur touched the face of Pestilence, the face of his wife. The former Akhenaten smiled sadly. "If only I could look at your face and not a painting, my love." He gained a look of pondering. "I am bound to this Valley of Kings, but you are also entombed within..." Apocalypse chuckled, turning to the stairs. He walked up slowly, the eerie light following on his shimmering and glowing armour. The spot on his eyes where an iris would be glowed blue as he ascended from his crypt, his sclera and his pupils remaining black. The case containing the mummy of his son moved away, allowing him to truly rise from his chamber. The case slid back over the stairs and Apocalypse turned. "Tutankhamun, my son. It's good to look upon your face again. Your body is burned, charred. You fell to that Spirit of Vengeance trying to rescue me, didn't you?" En Sabah Nur's eyes welled up for a moment. "You were loyal to the end. Thank you. I will make your death matter." Apocalypse phased his hand through the case, touching the cheek of his son. "May your ka soar to a place of eternal rest. When my work is truly done, I shall come see you." He pulled his hand out of the case and turned to the door of the burial chamber.

 


 

Prague

June 5th, 2021

 


 

Mystique and Zemo walked through the streets of Prague, the sun setting as the party in the streets began.

 

"Mingle until our mark shows his red face." Mystique ordered. Zemo nodded. The two made their way through the crowd, taking in the sights of the party. War looked over to a nearby food stand, nudging Pestilence's elbow. "Ooh, food. Good plan." The two walked over and up to the vendor at the food stand.

 

"Dobrý večer. Co vás mohu dostat?" The vendor asked.

 

"Dobrý večer. Dva trdelník, prosím." Zemo replied. The vendor nodded, reaching into his stand and pulling out two hot rings of baked dough. Zemo took them with a smile, handing one to Mystique. War pulled a bill from his jacket and handed it to the vendor before he and Pestilence walked away. The Mutant bit into her food, her eyebrows perking up with joy.

 

"This is really good." She nodded. The two then heard screams, looking over at the nearby fountain. Molten metal had begun to shoot from beneath the structure and now flowed onto the ground. The metal shot into the air, forming into an Elemental monster of a molten man.

 

"He's here." Zemo's eyes narrowed. Mysterio then flew overhead, summoning his signature triangular glyphs to his hands.

 

"Let's find him while the people are distracted." Mystique smiled.

 


 

Egypt

June 5th, 2021

 


 

Apocalypse stepped out into the setting sun hanging above the sands and stone of the Valley of the Kings.

 

"The first time I've been outside of that tomb in centuries, and I am bathed in the setting sun as I emerge. Fitting. A motif of rebirth." He chuckled to himself. He walked slowly through the Valley, taking in the air of approaching evening. He approached a tomb, the one numbered as KV35. He stepped up to the gate, phasing through. En Sabah Nur walked down the dark staircase of the tomb, descending furthur into the crypt. The darkness was only offset by the glowing from his armour and the tomb lights that turned on as he walked by. Shadows danced and vanished as the former Akhenaten's mere presence illuminated the once dark chambers. He made his way through the tomb until he reached a doorway to an antechamber of the burial chamber. Three bodies laid within, but Apocalypse made his way to one that was in far worse condition than the others. He touched the massive gash in the woman's face. "Nefertiti, my beloved. You took a great deal of punishment trying to help me. You sacrificed the beautiful face you cherished, and I love you all the more for it." Apocalypse smiled sadly. "You said I was your shining sun. We said we would reign eternal. I promise I will fulfill our goals in your name. The rays of light you saw within me will stretch across the world."

 

"Excuse me!" A voice came from behind En Sabah Nur. He rose from the body of his wife, seeing a soldier standing behind him. "What are you doing here? How did you get in?"

 

"I have come to pay respects to my wife." En Sabah Nur's irises flashed as he grew an extra two feet, causing him to tower over the now terrified guard. His voice took on a deep echo. "And I go where I please. I am revelation's dawn, the intrument of destiny, the First Mutant! Tremble! Before! APOCALYPSE!" The soldier raised his rifle and fired, but the bullets crumpled against En Sabah Nur's armour. "I cannot be harmed by human weapons! You are as much of a threat to me as the Babylonians with their swords and fire sticks!" En Sabah Nur laughed as he grabbed the gun and crushed it. The soldier stepped back, but the mummy of Nefertiti sat up as Apocalypse's irises glowed. The mummy lunged at the man as Apocalypse continued to chuckle. "Mankind builds towers to reach the sun and fires arrows towards the heavens, but God merely laughs at their hubris." The mummy snapped the soldier's neck and returned to her resting place. En Sabah Nur stretched out his hand and the soldier's flesh melted away, leaving only his bones. "I will make humanity's bones as dry as those of Cyrus and of Caeser! The dawn of my empire is approaching, and dusk shall never set on it as long as I draw immortal breath!"

Notes:

Well, that was an exciting chapter!

Chapter 11: Let's Try That Again

Summary:

Mystique and Zemo remain in pursuit of the Red Skull. Apocalypse continues his soul search, finding something unexpected in the Valley of the Kings. Team Cap prepares for battle.

Notes:

Get ready for a nice and long character chapter!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Captain's Log

Entry 011:

 

The bullet's almost done, which is good. We're still not sure exactly what we're up against, though. This Apocalypse is an ultra powerful mutant. God, I would kill to have the powers of a Thunder God right now. I could call Steve but... Damn it. I promised him I'd do my best, but calling him in for my first big threat as Captain America? Doesn't look good on me. Bucky's... Bucky's helping. The moral support's nice. I don't want to ruin it, though. I'm scared telling him will ruin it.

 

My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America.

 


 

Berlin

June 2nd, 2021

 


 

Sharon walked through the hallways of the JCTC headquarters, pistol holstered at her side. She stepped up to the elevator, pressing the button. Agent 13 waited for a moment when the door opened, revealing two soldiers inside.

 

"Soldiers." Sharon nodded at the two.

 

"Agent." One of the soldiers nodded back. Sharon turned her back away from the two.

 

"I'm going down to secure the garage." Sharon explained.

 

"We were assigned to do the same." The same soldier replied.

 

"Always nice to have backup." Agent 13 smiled to herself. "Not always required, though. And I know for a fact I don't have any." She then spun around, kicking the man in the face. Mystique hit the wall, her disguise shifting for a moment before solidifying again.

 

"You're out of your league, Agent." The mutant chuckled, shifting into her natural form.

 

"That's what they all say." Sharon smirked. She then jumped up, kneeing Zemo in the side of the chin before kicking off of his chest and drop kicking Mystique. The Mutant hit the side of the elevator and grunted before getting up and cracking her neck. She jumped at Sharon, punching her in the gut. Sharon grunted in pain before kneeing Mystique in the gut. She then picked up Mystique and threw her at the wall, accidentally smashing the security camera. The Mutant grunted and fell to the floor as Agent 13 pulled out her pistol. Zemo raised his rifle behind Sharon's head, but she activated a small wrist mounted blade and slashed his face before firing at Mystique. The bullet impacted Mystique's armour but crumpled, giving the Mutant a chance to club Sharon over the head.

 


 

New York

June 5th, 2021

 


 

"Pause." Charles' voice resounded. The elevator paused and Sharon took a step back. She turned behind her, looking at Charles through a window.

 

"Little better this time, but I'm still way out of my league in a two on one." Sharon considered. "Rewind it to my pre-asskicking one-liner."

 

"Alright." The simulation rewound and Sharon stepped back to her position.

 


 

Berlin

June 2nd, 2021

 


 

"That's what they all say." Sharon smirked. She then jumped up, kneeing Zemo in the side of the chin before kicking off of his chest and drop kicking Mystique. The Mutant hit the side of the elevator and grunted before getting up and cracking her neck. She jumped at Sharon, punching her in the gut. Sharon grunted in pain before kneeing Mystique in the gut. She then picked up Mystique and threw her at the wall, accidentally smashing the security camera. As Mystique hit the wall, Sharon wrapped her leg around Zemo's shoulder and pulled down, dragging him towards the floor before spinning away from him. She rose, primed a grapple hook from each of her wrists, and pulled her pistol from her hip. She fired at Mystique to distract her for a moment, grazing the Mutant's neck. Agent 13 then pulled the grapple hook from her left wrist and wrapped it around Mystique's waist before wrapping the right grapple hook around Zemo's leg. Sharon slammed her wrists together, causing the grapples to affix to each other and seperate from her suit. She fired at the glass with her gun before kicking Mystique through the heavily damaged glass. Mystique began to plummet as Zemo was dragged behind her. Sharon turned before hearing a gunshot

.

 


 

New York

June 5th, 2021

 


 

"Pause again." Professor X said again. Sharon looked at Zemo's position, seeing the bullet mere inches from her head.

 

"Right, I'd rather not get shot." Sharon's lips shifted to the side in a pondering motion.

 

"Rewind to the one-liner?" Charles asked.

 

"You know it." Agent 13 grinned.

 


 

Prague

June 5th, 2021

 


 

Mystique and Zemo ran, acting as though they were terrified civilians, as Mysterio flew overhead, blasting energy beams at the lava Elemental. Mystique tapped her wrist, pulling up a thermal display.

 

"He's manipulating the thing from not too far away, let's go." Mystique ordered. The two then sprinted into an alley, almost running into a young woman with dark skin and curly brown hair in the process. Her eyes followed after the two, a look of annoyance and confusion on her face.

 

"That's really suspicious." She said before shaking her head. "Focus, MJ. No conspiracy theories."

 


 

New York

June 5th, 2021

 


 

Scott and Laura stood in the X-Mansion's gym. Scott was in his suit while Laura was dressed in a t-shirt and sweatpants.

 

"Right, so no claws. Hank'll kill me if I break the suit while training." Scott said, stepping into a fighting position.

 

"No claws. Don't break your hand on my skeleton." Laura replied with a smile. She then ran at Scott, kneeing him in the stomach. Scott doubled over, flipping his helmet up and beginning to cough.

 

"God..." Scott took note of a group of children nearby. "...Bless America!"

 

"You okay, Scott?" Laura asked sheepishly.

 

"I thought you telling me not to break my hand on your skeleton was trash talk!" Ant-Man continued coughing.

 

"You need a doctor?" Wolverine asked.

 

"Nah, I, uh..." Ant-Man took one more laboured huff before collecting his bearings and tapping his regulator and wrist. His helmet flipped back down and he grew an extra foot in height. "I'll just increase my density a little. Now let's throw down for real." Laura chuckled before stepping back into a fighting pose. She charged at Scott, who grabbed her and slammed her into the ground. "So what's the deal with Cap and Barnes?" Laura chuckled.

 

"Oh, it's a classic story. Boy likes other boy. Other boy likes boy. They're both idiots. Idiots who won't tell each other how they feel." Wolverine rolled her eyes as she spun off the ground and swept Scott's legs. He shrunk, regained his balance, and then grew again.

 

"You and Sharon have a bet on when they get together, don't you?" Ant-Man asked, hitting Laura with a right hook followed by a left hook, though she managed to block the left hook.

 

"Nah, betting on your friends getting together is kind of weird, you know?" Laura replied. She and Scott both laughed. "We absolutely jinxed it, didn't we?"

 


 

Egypt

June 5th, 2021

 


 

En Sabah Nur walked through the Valley of the Kings, approaching KV57. Phasing through the gate, he descended into the crypt. Making his way down a massive corridor before finally ending up in the burial chamber, Apocalypse eyed the art on the walls.

 

"Paramesse gave his father credit for my entire rule." He noted with a smile. "If history is to lie about my empire, then my general is one I am most pleased to be the recipient of that glory. Now let us see just where you hid your father." He touched the damaged lid of the carved red quartzite sarcophagus before placing his hands on the sides of the stone coffin. He stepped back, amazed. Beneath the sarcophagus was not a coffin containing the mummy of his general as he had expected. Instead there was a field of energy, within which the still living body of Horemheb laid, red skin as vibrant as blood. En Sabah Nur smiled a wide grin as he reached his hand into the energy field. Horemheb's yellow eyes shot open and he looked upon his ancient master. "Rise, Horemheb, my once and future Horseman of War."

 


 

New York

June 5th, 2021

 


 

Sam sat in a sitting room of the X-Mansion, nursing a glass of scotch. Bucky walked in with his phone in his hand and a glass of scotch of his own.

 

"Hey, Barnes. What's..." Sam began, raising his scotch to his lips before pausing and looking at a nearby television. "What the hell?" Bucky turned as Sam rose from his seat, seeing Mysterio in combat with Molten Man.

 

"It's just like Agadir, Ixtenco, and Venice." Bucky said.

 

"Do you think we should call Wanda? Get her to give us time to suit up and get there?" Captain America asked.

 

"No, no, I, uh..." The Winter Soldier stammered. "This Mysterio guy can handle it. I mean, we've seen what these magic people can do."

 

"Alright." Sam nodded, sitting back down. "So what's up?"

 

"Um, well, a few days ago Sharon found some files that she wanted me to see. I thought you should take a listen too, y'know?" Bucky explained.

 

"Alright. Sounds vaguely spooky. I'm in." Captain America grinned. The Winter Soldier set his phone on the table and pressed the play button.

 

"Captain's Log, Entry 5. I think Bucky's been making heart-eyes at me. Like, it's been a month since we all came back from the stupid purple fuck's Snap, and every day we'll be doing something like hanging out in the common room of the Facility. Sometimes I'll look up and he'll look away or he'll raise his phone up. I don't know, maybe I'm just reading into this too deep. It's nice having him watching my back, no matter what he's actually watching. God, I hope he doesn't read these. My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America." Sam heard his own voice coming from the phone. His eyes widened.

 

"I..." Sam started, but the next recording cut him off.

 

"Captain's Log, Entry 6. Well, Egypt. Always thought Egypt was cool. My mom took me to a King Tut exhibit once. Fun times with her. Now that I'm rolling out with Laura, Sharon, and Bucky to fight a couple of villains there, I'm pretty intrigued. I mean, they're in the Valley of the Kings. Maybe I can convince Bucky to join me in some of the tombs after. There's some really nice art in those. We could make it a... Make it a date? Was I really just about to say that? God, I hope he doesn't read these. I mean, how do you tell your best friend you like them? Ridiculous. My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America."

 

"They're audio logs, I don't read them." Bucky noted, sipping his scotch as his partner rolled his eyes.

 

"Captain's Log, Entry 7. You know, I think Sharon might have a point. I really should ask Bucky out sometime. I mean, I could just ask him out for a beer as friends, read the room, and if the reading's good, make out with him. Ah, what am I talking about? I'm moving way too fast. I mean, does Bucky even like guys? His and Steve reminisced about some girl during the war called... Dolores, I think? Bucky and her were a thing for at least a little bit. My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America."

 

"I like guys and girls, Sam." Bucky explained. Sam's breath hitched for a second. "And I like you."

 

"I..." Sam fumbled as a blush came to his cheeks. "I like you too. Like... A lot." Bucky smiled sadly. It was a soft smile, one that would remind anyone that there was a time before the war for Bucky. A time before the Winter Soldier. A time where he had peace. A smile that showed that perhaps he had some semblance of that peace again.

 

"Why didn't you tell me?" The Winter Soldier asked, his eyes filling with concern.

 

"I... Well... Why... didn't... you tell me?" Sam retorted. Bucky's face went through the five stages of grief in a matter of seconds.

 

"I..." The Winter Soldier began. "I asked you first." Sam gave him an annoyed look before sighing.

 

"Fine. Here. I'll play you the most recent log." Captain America groaned. He pulled out his phone, Bucky taking note of the background for the first time... Ever. It was a selfie the two had taken at Tony and Pepper's wedding afterparty. Bucky smiled fondly at the memory.

 

"The bullet's almost done, which is good. We're still not sure exactly what we're up against, though. This Apocalypse is an ultra powerful mutant. God, I would kill to have the powers of a Thunder God right now. I could call Steve but... Damn it. I promised him I'd do my best, but calling him in for my first big threat as Captain America? Doesn't look good on me. Bucky's... Bucky's helping. The moral support's nice. I don't want to ruin it, though. I'm scared telling him will ruin it." Sam's voice came from the speakers as the present Sam hid his face. He heard Bucky rise from his chair and sighed.

 

"I... I love you." He began. "But... I love being your friend too. And I don't want to ruin that."

 

"Sam." Bucky said, his voice full of love, care, and empathy. "Sam, look at me." Sam looked up from his hands and saw Bucky's eyes as the Winter Soldier's lips made contact with his. Sam's eyes widened in shock before he closed them, leaning into the kiss as he stood up. Bucky broke away from the kiss. "I love you too." Captain America and the Winter Soldier stared into each other's eyes lovingly for what felt like an eternity until the spell was broken by applause. The two turned, seeing Sharon leaning on the door.

 

"About. Damn. Time." Sharon gave them a thumbs up. "Now if you two crazy kids are done necking it like lovesick high schoolers, Hank finished the bullet."

Notes:

It finally happened folks! Our Big Damn Kiss!

Chapter 12: Playing Catch-Up

Summary:

En Sabah Nur and Horemheb bring each other up to speed on the worlds they both missed. Mystique and Zemo come face to face with Red Skull in Prague, encountering another problem on the way.

Notes:

Time for some fun, yeah?

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Captain's Log

Entry 012:

 

Well, Bucky and I kissed. It was cool. Okay, cool doesn't sum it up. It's amazing. Love's scary, but it's also awesome. Oh, and the bullet's done. We're going after Mystique and Zemo. Apparently they're in Prague. What are the chances that they're where the last Elemental attack was? Yeah, not a coincidence. Calling it now.

 

My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America.

 


 

Prague

June 5th, 2021

 


 

Mystique and Zemo arrived at an abandoned bar in Prague. Mystique pulled out her pistol and her form shifted back to its natural state as Zemo's armour and weapons materialized from thin air. Zemo looked at Mystique and nodded, moving to kick down the door.

 

"Excuse me!" A voice came from above. The two looked, seeing Mysterio hovering above them on a cloud of mist like a watchful and mystical guardian of old over the city. Mystique's face shifted into a brief snarl.

 

"Son of a bitch!" Mystique whispered to herself. Her eyes had a moment of thought, running through her options mentally. She settled on distraction, hoping her fellow Horseman would pick up on her trick. "Don't you have a giant lava monster to fight?"

 

"I fought the giant lava monster already. Then I traced it here. To you. And I'm wondering what you have to do with it." Quentin pried, his arms folded in front of his chest as wisps of mist fluttered from the cloud beneath him.

 

"We're looking for the guy that caused it too. Except you're in our way now. So..." The Horseman of Pestilence gave a brief look to Zemo, who finally figured out his comrade's play. With almost inhuman speed, he pulled the grenade launcher from his hip and fired at Mysterio, who caught the grenade with a portal, spitting it back at Zemo. The grenade detonated in his face, but it seemingly had no effect other than stunning the Horseman of War. Quentin slammed down into the ground in a superhero landing, the green mist billowing away in the wind, before rising with his glyphs in hand.

 

"You don't want any part in this!" Mysterio said, his face concealed by the globe around his head but the tone of his voice making clear as a balmy summer day he was ready to kick your ass, your friend's ass, and your dog's ass. "I'm a Master of the Mystic Arts, and I've dealt with your kind before."

 

"Really, you've dealt with the Horsemen of Apocalypse?" Mystique asked, a sly, almost overconfident smirk emerging on her face.

 

"No, but I did fight the end times once," The Extradimensional Sorcerer began, surrounding himself with mist once again. "And I won."

 


 

New York

June 5th, 2021

 


 

Sam, Bucky, and Sharon walked out of the X-Mansion, where Laura, Scott, Charles, and Hank were waiting. Hank held a case in his hand, and Laura had a proud look on her face.

 

"What kept you?" She asked knowingly.

 

"Not important right now," Sam replied quickly.

 

"Oh, come on! For real, what happened?" Scott asked innocently. Bucky rolled his eyes, reached down with his flesh and blood hand, and took Sam's.

 

"I knew it!" Laura yelled. Bucky let go, taking the case from Hank.

 

"You've got nine shots." Hank explained.

 

"I'll only need..." The Winter Soldier began.

 

"Yeah, no. Don't be overconfident and jinx it, Bucky," Sharon ordered.

 

"Alright, Team Cap. Lock and load. We're going to Prague," Captain America ordered.

 

"Yes sir, Captain America!" Ant-Man yelled.

 


 

Prague

June 5th, 2021

 


 

Quentin boom boom whooshed the Ruby Rings of Raggadorr into his hands, blocking a shot from Mystique. Zemo pulled his sword from his back, brandishing it towards Quentin, who hurled the Rings at Mystique.

 

"By Excalibur's Exalted Edge!" Mysterio put his fists together in front of him, drawing a magical blade from an invisible scabbard as the Rings hit the Horseman of Pestilence, smacking her in the face. The Horseman of War and the Extradimensional Sorcerer commenced a sword fight, the two fighting extremely differently. Zemo swung his blade with two hands and crushing power, wielding it almost like a hammer. Quentin, on the other hand, fought like a graceful fencer, striking surgically and with purpose. Twisting the blade out of Zemo's hand, Mysterio brought the tip of his magical weapon to his opponent's throat. Mystique had gotten up by now, charging at Quentin in order to knee him in the gut. Mysterio, however, noticed, leaving his sword levitating by Zemo's neck and summoning the Images of Ikonn with a gesture. A copy of the sorcerer emerged, putting his hands in front of him and conjuring the Shield of the Seraphim to block the Mutant, pushing her back. The real Quentin gripped his magical blade again as the Image raised its hands to the air above and to the left of its head, clapped, and swung its right one down and around as though splashing someone in a swimming pool. "By the Torrents of Tethys!" The Horseman of Pestilence was enveloped by a green wave that turned into an entrapping whirlpool. "Now then. I'm really interested in what you guys were looking for in this building," Quentin explained, his Image manifesting the Crimson Chains of Cyttorak to bind Zemo. "Keep an eye on them," He ordered his Image before the original Mysterio walked up to the door.

 


 

Egypt

June 6th, 2021

 


 

Horemheb gazed upon his master, breathing deeply with shock.

 

"My Pharaoh?" Horemheb asked with wide eyes as though he had seen a ghost, a Wakandan accent on his lips. "You... You were locked away! Am I... No, I'm not dead. I've gone mad." Horemheb raised his hands to his head, covering his eyes and his temples. En Sabah Nur smiled, stepping forward.

 

"No, you are not mad, my loyal general." Apocalypse pulled his general in for an embrace. Horemheb returned the gesture before breaking away and kneeling.

 

"My Pharaoh, I apologize. I was unable to protect you from my own son. I am an unworthy Horseman." Horemheb averted his eyes. En Sabah Nur smiled.

 

"When I found you in Wakanda, I saw potential. I saw power. I chose you as my Horseman of War and my General. You were worthy of those titles four thousand years ago, and you remain worthy of them now." The First Mutant offered his hand to the Once Horseman of War. "Now tell me. What happened to Ay? I cannot find his body. My son's was was burned to Duat, and I can only hope his ka finds rest in Sekhet-Aaru. Meanwhile my wife was gravely wounded by an axe, one I can only assume came from Inykhensu."

 

"Ay was smote by the wrath of Odin. The worthy light from his mighty hammer destroyed all of Ay's earthly form," The Once Horseman of War explained sadly. Apocalypse sighed, nodding with grief.

 

"You all gave so much for my quest, my imperative," The First Mutant said, hanging his prideful head. "And yet I was the least harmed by my own quest."

 

"We can avenge our fallen comrades," The General of Egypt said, placing his hand on En Sabah Nur's shoulder. Apocalypse chuckled. "What is it, My Pharaoh?"

 

"This world has new heroes. They call themselves Avengers." Apocalypse looked towards the tomb's exit. "But who will avenge them when they're all gone?"

 


 

Prague

June 5th, 2021

 


 

Quentin walked into the building Mystique and Zemo had been waiting outside, being greeted by applause.

 

"Well done, 'Mysterio'. Well done. You've managed to defeat my Elementals with only the help of that odd Spider-Fellow. I'm impressed." The voice of Red Skull pierced the darkness.

 

"You're the cause of the Elementals?" Mysterio asked.

 

"I am," Red Skull replied as he stepped out of the darkness.

 

Mysterio extended his hands in front of him. "I call on the Furious Flames of the Faltine!" He yelled. Three balls of fire appeared over his head as plumes of fire shot towards Red Skull. The flames enveloped him, but the Stonekeeper chuckled. "The hell?" Quentin brought his hands into an x over his chest before turning his hands outward and opening his fingers, slashing out almost like he had talons. "By the Demons of Denak!" Dark tendrils tipped with claws shot from the ground, but each shattered when it slashed at Schmidt. The Extradimensional Sorcerer then stretched his hands skyward, summoning electrical energy to them. "Bolts of Balthakk!" Two bolts of lightning flew from each of his hands, but the energy fizzled out when it impacted the former HYDRA leader. Red Skull then pulled his sword from his back and the blade glowed orange.

 

"You have a talent for magic, Mysterio. But I was the Keeper of the Soul Stone," Schmidt laughed. A beam of light flew from the sword and into Quentin's chest. The sorcerer fell to his knees, screaming in pain. "What a shame magic draws from your soul." Quentin crumpled to the ground, and Skull laughed. Mystique and Zemo stumbled in. "And who might you be?"

 

"We were sent to get you," Zemo explained.

 

"I don't wish to be collected. Now get out of my way." Schmidt brandished his blade.

 

Wait. We're the Horsemen of Apocalypse," Mystique added. Red Skull lowered his blade.

 

"Apocalypse, hmm? Colour me intrigued."

 


 

Above The Atlantic Ocean

June 6th, 2021

 


 

Sharon and Sam sat in the cockpit of the Quinjet with Bucky, Laura, and Scott preparing their weapons further back in the jet. The silence was calm and purposeful, the only noise coming from Laura polishing her claws and Bucky cleaning his guns.

 

"Mystique's signal is on the move. It's... In the air?" Sharon broke the silence as she looked over to her scanner.

 

"Where's it going?" Bucky asked, looking up from his gun.

 

"I have... No idea. Trajectory is unclear," Sharon explained, her face becoming concerned. "And now the signal's gone. Like, entirely gone. Son of a bitch." The communicator nearby then beeped. Sam tapped the button, with Peter Parker's face appearing on the screen.

 

"Hey, I, uh, don't really have time to explain the entire logistical things going on but some crazy shit has been going down in Prague! Like, there was a lava monster and-" Peter began rambling before Quentin took the communicator from his hands.

 

"Like he said, we don't have much time." Quentin rolled his eyes at Peter, causing muffled apologies to be heard on the other side of the comms. "My name is Quentin Beck. I'm a friend of Peter's. I just fought two people calling themselves 'Horsemen of Apocalypse'. They were after the source of the Elementals. That source being none other than the Red Skull."

 

"Son of a bitch!" Bucky yelled from the back of the jet, his voice clearly annoyed. "That Nazi bastard's still alive!"

 

"I heard them talking about needing the power of the Soul Stone from him," Mysterio jumped back in.

 

"Alright, thanks, Quentin." Sam nodded at Quentin. Quentin nodded back, hanging up.

 

"So what do we do?" Scott asked.

 

"We they're working for Apocalypse, which means he wants Red Skull. Sharon, Laura, and Scott, go after Zemo and Mystique. Bucky and I are going to Egypt to act as the last line of defense. We don't let Apocalypse get Red Skull," Captain America ordered.

 

"How are we supposed to find them?" Sharon asked. Sam smiled.

 

"We've got a connection to the Soul Stone."

Notes:

Another heist next chapter, folks! An actual heist this time, not a Luis heist. Though that was fun.

Chapter 13: Opening of the Mouth

Summary:

Team Cap calls in help from the cosmos to track Red Skull. While Sam and Bucky head to Egypt to stall Apocalypse, Zemo, Mystique, and Red Skull infiltrate an old SHIELD base, with Sharon, Laura, and Scott hot in pursuit.

Notes:

Sorry about the hiatus, folks! I got busy with things and then I wanted Captain Marvel: Phalanx's chapter numbers to catch up, and now we're finally back with a nice long chapter!

Chapter Text

Captain's Log

Entry 013:

 

Right, so. My first mission as Captain America now involves Nazis, Mutants, and Mutant gods that have some similar ideals to Nazis. This is a hell of a thing. Something's telling me I'm going to need backup.

 

My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America.

 


 

Above Egypt

June 5th, 2021

 


 

Sam walked into the cockpit of his and Bucky's Jump Jet, shield in hand.

 

"That was Wanda. Strange is doing what he can for Beck, but apparently he's lucky to still have a soul."

 

"God, we're definitely not qualified to take down this new and... I don't want to say improved... Red Skull. We need to figure out a way to weaken him," Bucky replied.

 

"Vision said he'd ask the Reality Stone about it," Sam set his shield down next to the co-pilot's seat before sitting down. Bucky paused before looking at his partner.

 

"Did you just say he'd ask the Stone?" The Winter Soldier asked.

 

"According to Wanda, the Stone started talking to him at an inconvenient time," Captain America explained. The two sat in silence for a moment.

 

"We both know what that's code for, right?" Bucky asked.

 

"Oh, yeah." Wilson nodded.

 

"Egyptian Government still refusing to evacuate the Valley?" Barnes asked.

 

"Yeah. Nothing I said could convince them." Captain America shook his head.

 

"Great. This is gong to get messy," The Winter Soldier sighed.

 


 

Egypt

The Valley of the Kings

June 5th, 2021

 


 

Apocalypse and Horemheb stood, looking over Tutankhamun's body.

 

"I am sorry I could not protect your son, my Pharaoh." Horemheb looked at the charred mummy sadly.

 

"I only wish I had been there to stop you from being the last line." Apocalypse placed a comforting hand on Horemheb's shoulder.

 

"What's that noise?" Horemheb asked.

 

"It appears the place our ancestors were once honoured in death has become a tourist attraction." En Sabah Nur clenched his fist.

 

"They dare defile the chosen ones of the gods?" Horemheb demanded.

 

"Indeed." Apocalypse turned to the door of the tomb. "Let us teach them a lesson."

 


 

Zeilerua

June 5th, 2021

 


 

Corvus walked into a party, dressed in a white and silver uniform that looked like a slightly more ornate version of his normal attire. He took a goblet from a nearby attendant holding a platter, raising the glass to his lips as he walked up a set of stairs.

 

"How's it looking in there, Corvus?" Proxima's voice came through the comms.

 

"No sign of the Emissary yet. Adam, report," Corvus replied.

 

"Nothing on my end," Adam checked in. Corvus noted that the Warlock was downstairs by a fountain.

 

"And Mantis?" Corvus asked.

 

"I have eyes on her. She's having a chat with the daughter of the High Senator," Adam explained.

 

"Having a chat with the High Senator's daughter, or being chatted up by the High Senator's daughter?" Proxima pried, taking on the tone of a defensive mother.

 

"Proxima, she's a grown woman. She can take care of herself." Corvus chuckled into his drink. He turned his attention to an hors d'oeuvres butler, taking a meat skewer from the plate.

 

"Debatable on both counts." Nebula snarked. "Remind me why Proxima and I weren't allowed to come inside and are stuck on sniper duty?"

 

"You're a very obvious profile and my wife is terrible at stealth missions," Corvus explained between bites.

 

"You know she can hear you, right?" Adam asked.

 

"She hears him and agrees with him," Proxima chuckled.

 

"On one of our missions, we were tasked with stealing a..." Corvus' eyes darted around. "Yellow gemstone. From a couple. We tracked them for three days."

 

"I don't remember that mission," Nebula pondered.

 

"You... Weren't with the Order when it happened," Proxima replied.

 

"Correct. Now, our cover was nearly blown eight times. Proxima was responsible for seven of those," Corvus finished.

 

"Speaking of blowing cover, turns out the Emissary we're tracking has some sort of relationship with the High Senator's daughter," Adam cut in.

 

"How do you know that?" Proxima asked.

 

"Because Mantis is currently kissing her, and his soul sounds like he's about to commit murder," Adam deadpanned. Corvus looked over, seeing Mantis locked in a passionate kiss with the daughter of the High Senator, with the Emissary reaching for a knife on a meat cutting table.

 

"Eson above... The bounty said dead or alive, someone take him out," Corvus ordered. Proxima's spear hurled through the window, impaling the Emissary. Screams of fear erupted from the crowd. "Quietly..." Corvus jumped off the balcony and landed near Mantis and Adam, holding out his hand for his glaive. Proxima and Nebula rushed inside as Corvus' weapon found his hand. Guards emerged from around the venue, weapons ready.

 

"You should have said quietly before you said kill him," Adam noted.

 

"It's like the Deezer playlist that the Spider-Boy made for us said!" Mantis yelled. The other four Guardians gave her a confused look.

 

"What?" Corvus and Proxima asked together.

 

"It's Saturday night! It's for fighting!" Mantis grinned.

 

"She's technically not wrong. There are thirty minutes left of Saturday." Nebula shrugged. Corvus shook his head in annoyed acceptance before pointing his glaive at the guards.

 

"Guardians, let's get to work," Corvus ordered.

 

"I'll cue the music." Nebula grinned, tapping her wrist.

 


 

Egypt

June 6th, 2021

 


 

The thuds of Apocalypse's heavy footsteps resounded through the Valley of the Kings. A crowd of horrified onlookers gazed up at the First Mutant, who held up a man by the throat. Horemheb stood amongst the crowd, hands behind his back.

 

"People of Egypt! You look upon you once and only rightful Pharaoh! There is no man nor woman nor force of nature that stands equal to me! Mutants as far beyond you as you are beyond monkeys, and I stand beyond even Mutants!" He hurled the man he held down at the crowd, who all screamed as he hit the ground with a sickening splatter. Apocalypse's voice took on the sounds of a legion. "Your cities will burn in my refining flames! From the ashes of your world, I shall build a better one!" Apocalypse laughed at the fear of the people trembling before him. "People of Egypt, kneel before your Pharaoh! Kneel before Apocalypse!" The entire group quickly fell to their knees, with the exception of one woman.

 

"Did you not hear your master?" Horemheb demanded.

 

"He is not my master. He will never be." The woman shook her head at Horemheb before looking up at En Sabah Nur. "I would rather die on my feet today than live on my knees before you for an eternity."

 

"Then proceed." En Sabah Nur gestured to Horemheb, who created a khopesh. "On your way to oblivion." The blade sailed through the woman's neck. The former Akhenaten held out his hand, the disembodied head flying up to his hand. His eyes glowed, and the hair, skin, and muscles dissolved away, leaving only the skull behind. "By the sweat of your face you shall serve me until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken." Apocalypse closed his hand, crushing the skull into tiny fragments. "You are dust, and to dust you shall return." He blew on his hand, scattering the dust and shattered remains of the skull into the wind.

 


 

Zeilerua

June 5th, 2021

 


 

Scene Music:

Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting

 

The guards charged at the Guardians of the Galaxy, but the first was backhanded across the room by Corvus. A second made an attempt to attack, but was met by a dropkick from Nebula, who then hurled one of her batons at another guard.

 

"Proxima, on your six!" Corvus yelled. Proxima grabbed the guard approaching her from behind and hurled him up at Adam, who blasted him with an energy beam. She then threw her spear at Nebula, who caught it and clubbed another soldier in the head.

 

"Corvus, this is Agent Sharon Carter. Do you copy?" Sharon's voice came through the comms. Mantis uppercut a guard, with Nebula impaling said guard with Proxima's spear.

 

"Glaive here. What do you need, Agent Carter?" Corvus twirled his glaive in a wide arc, taking three heads off in one fell swoop.

 

"I need the services of Adam Warlock. We've got a Soul Stone situation regarding the Stonekeeper. He's on the loose and we need to track him," Sharon explained.

 

"Adam, you're up. Give them a hand, will you?" Corvus ordered. Adam nodded, closing his eyes. A guard then fired a series of blasts at Corvus, causing the Guardian of the Glaive's left arm to come off. Glaive rolled his eyes, picking his limb up and using it to beat the offending guard.

 

"According to the Soul Stone's energies, they appear to be heading towards Latitude 38.89, Longitude -77.06." Adam explained.

 

"I'm familiar with those coordinates. Thanks, Guardians," Sharon said.

 


 

Above The Atlantic Ocean

June 6th, 2021

 


 

"No problem, Sharon," Corvus replied as Sharon turned off the comms screen.

 

"They're heading for DC. The Triskelion. Well, what's left of it," Sharon explained.

 

"Sounds fun. What are we looking at?" Scott asked.

 

"It's an active government restoration and reclamation project, so there are biometric scanners at the gate," Sharon began.

 


 

Washington, DC

June 6th, 2021

 


 

A car drove up to the gate of the Triskelion, Daisy Johnson in the front seat. The guards came up to the car window, holding a scanner out to her. She placed her hand inside the scanner, waiting for a few moments before it beeped.

 

"Sorry to keep you waiting, Agent Johnson." The guard holding the scanner said. "You can proceed." The gate then opened.

 

"Inhuman genes tend to make these things take a little longer," Daisy chuckled before driving inside.

 


 

Above The Atlantic Ocean

June 6th, 2021

 


 

"Can you get us in, Sharon?" Scott asked.

 

"I'm one of the highest ranking SHIELD agents and you're an Avenger. Laura may have an issue with the next security measure, though," Sharon continued. Laura gave a mildly annoyed look.

 

"Metal detectors?" She asked. Agent 13 nodded.

 


 

Washington, DC

June 6th, 2021

 


 

Daisy parked her car in the garage and stepped out. Another SHIELD agent stepped out of the backseat holding a case. They walked towards the inner gate when they were stopped by the guards.

 

"We have a suspicious weapon that we found on a mission. We're filling it away. Deputy Director's orders." Daisy explained.

 

"Of course, Agent Johnson." One of the guards nodded. Daisy and her assistant then stepped into the scanners, placing their weapons on the tray.

 

"Do I need to take my gauntlets off? The micro-vibrations from my powers are really starting to mess up my arms, so I'd rather not if I can get away with it." Quake asked sheepishly.

 

"No problem, Agent Johnson. We'll just note it down." The guard nodded as his partner commenced the scan.

 

"Thanks, Agent..." Daisy paused, looking at the guard. "Ooh, I feel like it starts with an... M."

 

"Agent Miller, yeah." The guard smiled.

 

"Agent Johnson, Agent Seymour, you're free to pass." The other guard said as the scanner opened up again. Daisy took the case containing their payload and continued inside.

 


 

Above The Atlantic Ocean

June 6th, 2021

 


 

"What do you think they're going for once they get in?" Laura asked.

 

"0-8-4 storage. Without a doubt," Sharon explained. Scott raised an eyebrow.

 

"What's an 0-8-4?" He asked.

 

"Object of unknown origin. We've had a few interesting ones over the years. Thor's hammer was one, there was a shield discovered in Russia by Coulson and May made of an unknown metal a decade ago, and we recently found a trident in Hawaii."

 


 

Washington, DC

June 6th, 2021

 


 

Daisy and Agent Seymour walked up to a vault door, case in Daisy's hand. The guards by the door put their keys into the locks behind them, causing the vault to open. The two agents stepped inside, the vault closing behind them. The two removed their guns from their holsters, shooting the two internal guards in the face. Daisy shifted into Mystique as Zemo removed his mask. Zemo opened the case, and Red Skull's sword glowed, with him emerging from the blade.

 

"The soul scan you did on the Miller guy was a good sell," Mystique complimented Red Skull.

 

"I try." Red Skull waved off the compliment.

 

"Alright, what are we here for?" Mystique asked. Red Skull opened a container, pulling a large box out.

 

"This," He answered.

 

"And what is that?" Zemo asked.

 

"That, unfortunately, is a question you will not learn the answer to." The Stonekeeper grinned. He waved his hand at Mystique, whose form shifted to look like Red Skull's.

 

"I can't change back!" Mystique yelled in the voice of the former leader of HYDRA.

 

"Correct." Red Skull grinned. He then waved his hand, opening a portal like those of the Masters of the Mystic Arts behind him. "Good luck with the Avengers." He fired a blast of energy at a nearby container, setting off the alarms as it exploded. The Stonekeeper then walked through his portal, with it closing behind him.

 


 

Egypt

June 6th, 2021

 


 

The Quinjet touched down in the Valley of the Kings, with Sam and Bucky stepping out. They saw Horemheb waiting in the middle of the valley, the carnage of the now dead and dry bodies of the tourists around him.

 

"My master decrees that you come no further." Horemheb ordered.

 

"It's not his lucky day then." Sam hurled his shield at Horemheb, hitting the Horseman of War in the face.

 

"Captain America. The Winter Soldier." En Sabah Nur's voice came from above. The two heroes looked up, seeing him atop an enclave of rock. In front of him were three more tourists on three pillars of rock, the last ones alive. The first had no eyes, the second had no ears, and the third had no mouth. "Before you see the sins of the world. Those who are blind to the deeds of those greater than them." The pillar of the blind tourist fell. "Those who are deaf to the words of greatness." The pillar of the deaf tourist fell. "And those who refuse praise their leaders." The pillar of the mute tourist fell. "I am the opening of the eyes. I am the opening of the ears. I am the opening of the mouths." En Sabah Nur waved his hands, and the bodies around Sam and Bucky came back to life as soldiers of Apocalypse.

 

"Let's do this." Bucky readied his gun.

Chapter 14: Help From On High

Summary:

Captain America and the Winter Soldier face off against Apocalypse's army, calling in special aid to handle the would-be god. Agent 13, Wolverine, and Ant-Man deal with a disguised Mystique and Zemo. Red Skull recruits a familiar face for his plans.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Captain's Log

Entry 014:

 

Apocalypse has governance over the dead. This wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't currently hanging out in a valley of tombs after just pulling off a mass murder. Bucky says he has a plan for if thing go south, so I trust his judgement. He hasn't let me down yet. Ha. Shouldn't jinx it by saying yet.

 

My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America.

 


 

Earth-62338

Washington, DC

June 6th, 2021

 


 

Sharon, Laura, and Scott got off the Quinjet and began approaching the Triskelion. A SHIELD agent walked over to them, stopping the group.

 

"Agent Carter. Are you an Avenger now?" The agent asked.

 

"Well, I was there when Steve Rogers yelled 'Avengers Assemble', so I'd say so." Sharon grinned. Her expression shifted to something more serious. "What are we dealing with?"

 

"Red Skull and Zemo are trapped inside the 0-8-4 Vault," The agent explained.

 

"That's a massive problem. The number of volatile superweapons in enough to level DC in seconds." Sharon pursed her lips. "Scott, Laura, and I will handle it. Get Director Coulson on the phone. We might need Agent Johnson and Robbie Reyes for clean up."

 


 

Egypt

 


 

Sam's shield bounced off of one of the zombified civilians and returned to his hand, allowing him to slam it into another of Apocalypse's minions. Bucky delivered a powerful uppercut to another before unleashing a blast of kinetic energy into a pair of them. The zombies continued to rise, however, with long buried bones emerging from the floor of the Valley of the Kings and taking form to serve their Pharaoh. Apocalypse surveyed the battlefield, folding his arms behind his back.

 

"Fascinating. Humanity has risen beyond the crude and weak race I once ruled. Where they needed the blessings of the gods to fight my power in the past, they stand alone against me now. This..." En Sabah Nur paused, his eyes glowing for a moment. "Captain America. He has no powers. His simply a man. His friend, this Winter Soldier. A soldier indeed. Enhanced with a serum and a cybernetic arm, but he is not truly superhuman. These two are not empowered by the Panther's Herb, nor blessed by Khonshu, nor haunted by the Spirit of Vengeance, nor ignited by the Phoenix. They are simply... Men." He chuckled. "Men who have earned my respect, but simply human nonetheless."

 

"Really wish we had Scott right now!" Sam yelled over the carnage. He ducked behind his shield as a still reforming skeleton rushed him, shattering back into pieces.

 

"Agreed! Back-up would definitely be nice right about now, Heimdall!" Bucky yelled skyward before firing a shot at Horemheb, who deflected the bullet with a wave of his hand.

 

"Heimdall?" Captain America asked. Sam deployed his wings, twirling around in order to use the vibranium wings as blades.

 

"Give him a second," The Winter Soldier ordered. The Bifrost then slammed down, causing Apocalypse to hold his army back for a moment.

 

"Thor?" Sam asked.

 

"Not exactly." Bucky smiled as Mjolnir came soaring from the portal. The hammer slammed through five soldiers before returning to the waiting hand of a once again bearded Steve Rogers, who was wearing his old stealth suit and his Wakandan vambraces. Flanking him was Natasha, who wore Knífrlocke and had close cropped red hair.

 

"Steve, Natasha, good to see you. How's retirement?" Sam beamed.

 

"Captain America needed our help. There's no better reason to get back into this." Steve smiled back. He twirled Mjolnir in his hand, nodding at Sam. Sam raised his shield as Steve slammed it with Mjolnir, creating a shockwave that blew away a not insignificant portion of En Sabah Nur's forces.

 

"Let's kick some zombie ass." Natasha pulled her batons from her hips. Apocalypse smirked down at the sight.

 

"Odin's hammer survives. Perhaps I should have believed what he said about the craftsmen of Nidavellir." En Sabah Nur chuckled.

 


 

Washington, DC

 


 

Zemo and the disguised Mystique paced around in the 0-8-4 vault, looking for anything to help them. Zemo opened a large weapons box, containing a sword. He reached his hand out to it, beginning to hear voices.

 

"You wouldn't hurt me, would you? My love?" A woman's voice taunted.

 

"You are not her. You have stolen her face," The voice of Thor growled.

 

"Oh well. Laevateinn will still enjoy your blood," The woman continued.

 

"Zemo!" Mystique called out in Red Skull's voice. "They're here." Zemo grasped the handle of Laevateinn, pulling it from the sword rack. The door to the vault opened, and Sharon, Scott, and Laura walked in. The two Avengers and one X-Man charged forward, with Laura popping her claws and Scott shrinking. Scott grew, sweeping Mystique's legs, and then shrunk again. Laura blocked Zemo's strike with Laevateinn using her left hand's claws before popping her right foot claw and driving it into his stomach. Zemo grunted in pain, stumbling back as Sharon hit him in the face with a cartwheel kick. Mystique pulled a gun from her hip and pointed it at Sharon, but she grabbed a shield from a nearby container, blocking the shots before Scott disarmed their foe. Sharon examined the shield, letting a huff of air out of her nose at the Soviet star emblazoned over the hammer and sickle that adorned the shield.

 

"Uncle Daniel would lose his mind seeing this." Sharon grinned.

 


 

Egypt

 


 

"Sam, on your left!" Steve yelled. Sam ducked out of the way as Steve hurled Mjolnir past him, nailing a zombie in the face. Captain America threw his shield towards Natasha, who caught it by the strap with her foot, using it to dropkick Horemheb in the back of the head. Sam summoned the vibranium disk back to his hand, backhanding one of the undead civilians in the chest. Bucky wrapped his metal arm around another minion's neck, decapitating the zombie with a single flex of his vibranium limb. Sam's eyes widened slightly, and Steve gave him a good-natured nudge on the shoulder.

 

"Shut up," Captain America ordered.

 

"Sure." Steve gave him a shit-eating grin before lifting Mjolnir skyward, summoning a bolt of lightning to strike Horemheb. Natasha ran at Sam, who held up his shield as a platform for her to jump off of. Black Widow leaped into the air and dragged the blades of Knífrlocke against the Horseman of War's face, drawing blood from his cheek. The Uru boots glowed for a moment as Steve tossed Mjolnir forward, hitting Horemheb in the chest. The enchanted hammer flew back towards its owner, but Sam stepped between them, letting Mjolnir impact his shield to create a shockwave that knocked Horemheb into a wall. Natasha ran forward, flipped around, and drove Knífrlocke into his chest, allowing the poison the boots generated from his blood to seep into his body. Horemheb gripped the wound before crumpling to the ground, his healing factor slowly fighting back the poison. The four heroes then stepped to each other, looking up at Apocalypse. The First One floated down towards them.

 

"You have injured my general and my friend. He will recover. You will not." En Sabah Nur put his arms behind his back.

 

"We can do this all day." Sam raised his shield, eliciting a small smile from Steve and Bucky.

 

"By all means. Die tired." Apocalypse's eyes glowed. He stepped forward, throwing a punch at Natasha. Sam stepped between them, blocking the strike with his shield. "The Panther's vibranium. This is a cruel joke that fate plays on me." He picked up Sam, throwing him across the valley. He then wrapped his hand around Natasha's chin, lifting her up. "You, blessed by Set. Do you have the Phoenix living within, or has the universe decided to give me that respite?" He threw Natasha into the ground with a thud. Bucky opened fire, hitting Apocalypse in the forehead repeatedly before one shot did the impossible.

 

It drew blood.

 

Apocalypse touched his face, feeling the sticky red liquid leaking from his head.

 

"I'm impressed, human. You have done what Alexander dreamed of. You made a god bleed."

 

"I've met gods. They don't dress like you," Natasha groaned.

 

"I am beyond all of them." Apocalypse smirked.

 

"Would you like to try and prove your theory?" The voice of Anubis cut through the Valley of the Kings. En Sabah Nur growled, turning to face the God of the Dead.

 

"Anubis! So the gods of Egypt have finally come to see their better?" Apocalypse's words were laced with annoyance. Anubis looked around the valley in confusion.

 

"Would you kindly show me where my better is? I'd very much like to meet them." Anubis adjusted his armour. Apocalypse growled, creating a cannon from his arm and firing at Anubis, engulfing the God of the Dead in a blast of energy. The burst dissipated, revealing an unharmed and disinterested Anubis. "Time has not been kind to you. There was a time where I would have been dust and blood from that strike, but now? Now you are weak."

 

"Perhaps I am weakened, but I am not weak." Apocalypse's anger morphed slowly into a smile. "And I am also not alone, unlike you. Your only 'soldiers' are these four pitiful humans, who could not stand against me even when weakened." Horemheb rose, unsteady but strong. With a motion of En Sabah Nur's hand, the dead rose once again. Horemheb created a sword, pointing it at Anubis, and the army of the dead charged. The God of the Dead held out his hand, creating a scale with a feather on one end. The dead stopped before they reached him, kneeling before the jackal-headed god. He touched the chest of one of the dead, pulling a ball of energy from within their heart.

 

"Tell me, heart of hearts. How did you die?" Anubis asked, placing the energy on his scale.

 

"I would rather die on my feet today than live on my knees before him for an eternity." The words of the woman echoed through the Valley of the Kings. The scales balanced, the woman's heart deemed pure against the Feather of Maat.

 

"You may hold some command over the dead, En Sabah Nur, but those long lost kneel before the God of the Dead." Anubis smirked. The bodies of En Sabah Nur's army dissolved, returning to the dust from whence they came.

 

"I do not require my army." The First One snarled.

 

"Then why hide behind it in the first place?" Anubis taunted. Apocalypse and Horemheb charged at Anubis, who created a long staff out of bone.

 


 

New Jersey

 


 

Red Skull strode through the ruins and rubble of Camp Lehigh. Despite the fact that it was the birthplace of Captain America and Project Insight, its debris sat derelict, likely due to the Helicarriers crashing in the Potomac mere days later was a larger concern for the Department of Damage Control. Red Skull closed his eyes, shifting through the ground by altering his density. He ended up in a rubble filled cavern, surrounded by destroyed computers. He gazed into a camera lens and smiled.

 

"Do tell me you've survived this speed bump after all these years, Doctor." Red Skull touched the camera.

 

"I-I-I st-still fun-fun-function..." The glitching voice of Arnim Zola came from the computer.

 

"Good. There is much work to do, Arnim," Red Skull explained.

Notes:

Hey, y'all! It's been a while! Sorry about that. University got busy, and then this pandemic hit, and then I got kind of focused on writing Star Wars, and then I started feeling really burned out creatively. But I'm back!

Chapter 15: Gods

Summary:

Aided by Anubis, Team Cap continue to battle Apocalypse and Horemheb. Sharon, Scott, and Laura bring down Mystique and Zemo. Red Skull explains his plan to Zola.

Chapter Text

Captain's Log

Entry 015:

 

Bucky and I both had the same idea to call in some more... Divine help. Buck chose Steve and Natasha with their magical weapons and fighting spirit, I went with the jackal-headed Wakandan slash Egyptian God of the Dead. Both good plans.

 

My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America.

 


 

Earth-62338

Washington, DC

June 6th, 2021

 


 

Sharon slammed the Soviet shield into Zemo's face, sending him to the ground. He scrambled to his feet, swinging Laevateinn at Sharon's neck. The blade shivered, phasing right through Sharon's body. Scott jumped up, wrapping his leg around Zemo's shoulder and pulling him down. Sharon then slung the Soviet shield at the disguised Mystique, but missed her mark. The shield soared towards Laura, who caught it before throwing it at the intended target. Wolverine's throw was far more successful than Agent 13's, with the metal disk slamming into Mystique's chin. The disk ricocheted off, landing at Sharon's feet. She picked it up again, ducking behind it as Zemo pulled a gun from his hip, firing at her. The bullets impacted the shield, which slowly began to spark. Sharon pushed a glowing button on the bottom of the shield, sending a powerful jolt of electricity into Mystique. Scott took advantage of the high ceilings of the room, growing to twelve feet tall. He grabbed Mystique by the foot, mashing her into the ground as Hulk had done to Loki during the Battle of New York. Laura charged at Zemo with her claws bared, and he brought Laevateinn to his defense. Sharon looked at another button on the back of the shield, labelled in Russian.

 

"That either says 'sword' or 'night'." She pressed the button. The shield shifted, forming an arm guard as a blade shot out of the middle. Agent 13 let out a gleeful giggle before running forward at Zemo. The Horsemen of War struggled against the blades, backpedaling right into Scott's waiting hand. Ant-Man hurled him up into the ceiling, and Zemo came crashing down with a groan. Laura dug her heel into the space between his shoulder blades, holding him down as Sharon wrapped a wire around his arms.

 

"How'd you know that wouldn't kill him, Scott?" Laura asked. Scott shrunk down to his normal size again.

 

"Well, I remembered that you said after we trained that all mutants have some kind of healing power, and I guessed that Apocalypse made him into one because of what you guys said he did in the Valley of the Kings," Scott explained, tapping the side of his head. "Nebula might think I'm in idiot, but I've got a head on these shoulders."

 

"Nice plan, Scott." Sharon nodded. The doors to the vault opened, and both Daisy Johnson and Ghost Rider ran in. The two looked around, seeing that they had missed the fight.

 

"Told you we should have taken the shortcut, Robbie." Daisy nudged the Rider on the shoulder.

 

"Next time I'll listen to you, Cielo." The Ghost Rider's flames died away, with Robbie Reyes returning. He tilted his head before rolling his eyes. "Not a word from you, Zarathos." Sharon let out a huff of air from her nose before picking up Laevateinn and tossing it to Robbie.

 

"Magic sword. I figure that's more your wheelhouse."

 

"Pun intended?"

 

"Hell yeah."

 

"Please stop."

 

"Hey, Coulson and May found that shield in Russia a while back. Romanoff apparently said it belonged to a Soviet knockoff of Captain America." Daisy pointed to the shield on Sharon's arm. Agent 13 tapped the button on the shield, returning it to its shielding configuration.

 

"I don't think it's vibranium, but it packs a mean punch." Sharon looked down at the shield, making a move to pull it from her arm. Daisy held out her hand.

 

"Keep it. It's better in an Avenger's hand than gathering dust in a warehouse."

 

"Might need a new coat of paint." Scott cut in. Sharon chuckled.

 

"Yeah, probably for the best." Sharon nodded. "I'll call Cap, let him know we're done here."

 


 

Egypt

 


 

Anubis grabbed Horemheb by the neck and tossed him aside, slamming him into the valley wall. Apocalypse created a sword from his forearm armour, swinging down at Anubis. The jackal-headed god pulled his staff in half, creating sharpened twin batons. The First Mutant and the God of the Dead began to duel with increasing speed, almost getting to a point where Natasha and Sam's human eyes had problems keeping up perfectly. Apocalypse swung his blade at Anubis' hip, but the jackal-headed god twirled above the blade. Horemheb created an ax, jumping into the air and swinging at Anubis' back. Sam flew forward, blocking the strike with his shield. Apocalypse grabbed Anubis by the face, but was hit in the jaw by Mjolnir.

 

"Why fight for inferior beings, Anubis? With a flick of your wrist or a snap of your fingers, you could tear their souls from their bodies and damn them for eternity."

 

"Two reasons. I see the potential in humanity that you are ignorant to." Anubis drove his elbow into En Sabah Nur's gut before slamming his head down onto his knee. "And you killed my friend."

 

"I've killed many friends. You'll have to be more specific." Horemheb swung his blade at Anubis' throat, but Bucky grabbed the sword and blasted the Horseman of War away with a burst of kinetic energy.

 

"His name was Manishtusu, but it's not one you'd remember." Apocalypse grabbed one of Anubis' batons, driving it through the shoulder of the God of the Dead. "His wife, Ahatsunu? You'll be certain to remember her." Anubis created a plume of spectral flame, pushing Horemheb away before headbutting En Sabah Nur. "After all, she made a deal with the Spirit of Vengeance to stop you." The God of the Dead pulled the baton from his shoulder, casting the unstained weapon aside.

 

"The Rider," Apocalypse snarled. "She took my son!"

 

"She did." Anubis ducked under a haymaker from Apocalypse before slashing at him with his claws, drawing blood from the First Mutant's arm. "You took her beloved, she took your son. A fair trade, I believe."

 

"A child is a legacy. A spouse can be replaced." En Sabah Nur snarled, swinging his sword down at Anubis. Captain America's shield soared by on its way to hit Horemheb, stopping the blade long enough for Anubis to grip it and snap the sword from the gauntlet it came from.

 

"Callous words for a husband. Your wife's love for you was the only thing that kept her heart from tipping the scales." En Sabah Nur attempted to headbutt the jackal-headed god, but Anubis lashed out with his tooth-filled maw, biting into his opponent's shoulder. A chunk of Apocalypse's flesh came away, with the God of the Dead swallowing it. The gash healed quickly, but the blood stained both the First Mutant's skin and Anubis' teeth.

 

"Power has taught me a great many things, Inpu, not simply the fact that I am the rightful ruler of this world. All has been revealed to me!" En Sabah Nur grinned.

 

"And there it is. The true reason I choose to fight for humanity." Natasha wrapped her legs around Horemheb's neck, dragging him into the fire from Bucky's gun. "Because humanity chooses to fight beside me, no matter the dark forces that rise." The God of the Dead held out his hand to Sam, who tossed his shield at him. Anubis smashed it into En Sabah Nur, sending him flying back across the Valley. "That's what this shield stands for, Amenhotep. Humanity's indomitable will." Sam called his shield back, allowing Steve to strike it in order to create another shockwave that impacted Horemheb. "Because, Akhenaten, there will always be tyrants like you. But there will also always be those who stand against tyranny." Bucky slammed his fist into Apocalypse's chest, unloading a bolt of kinetic energy into him. The First Mutant attempted to choke out the Winter Soldier, but Captain America divebombed into him shield-first. "So you may keep your 'revelation', En Sabah Nur. Humanity will not have it, and nor will I."

 

"I care not if you desire my revelation, for it is destiny's will! I am the rocks of the eternal shore! CRASH AGAINST ME AND BE BROKEN!" The rock walls of the valley began to crack and shake, stone images of En Sabah Nur emerging. Some took the form of Amenhotep III, some took the form of Akhenaten, but most took the form of En Sabah Nur. The stone images began to walk slowly towards the heroes, and Anubis' eyes narrowed before what could only be described as a grin developed on his features. Anubis snapped his fingers, his fist beginning to glow purple. He opened his hand, revealing the Power Stone. "The Power Stone!" Apocalypse's eyes widened in horror. He directed his army of icons forward, but the lumbering stone statues lacked any form of speed.

 

"Captain America, if you'd please. Everyone else, I advise cover. I'd rather much like to not reap your souls today." Anubis looked at Sam, his hand trembling at the universal force contained within it. The pure might of the Power Stone was immense, even for the chief deity of the Wakandan pantheon. Sam raised his shield as Steve grabbed Natasha and Bucky grabbed onto his shoulder, all three being pulled into the air by Mjolnir. Anubis released his flaming wall, punching the shield with his Power Stone-empowered fist. A wave of pure purple energy flew into both the First Mutant and the Horseman of War, enveloping them and their stone army in the purest form of energy. The army of stone shattered, and Horemheb's armour crumpled as he slammed into the almost ruined wall of the Valley of the Kings. En Sabah Nur struggled to stand, but fell to his knee against the might of the Power Stone. Sam's shield began to glow, and Anubis' arm developed small cracks. Apocalypse lost his ability to fight against the Stone, turning to dust as his armour melted away. Anubis dropped the Power Stone, and Steve caught it with Mjolnir. The God of the Dead snapped his fingers again, the Infinity Stone vanishing to whence it came.

 

"We did it." Sam let out a sigh of relief. He turned to Steve, Natasha, and Anubis. "Thanks for your help."

 

"Of course, Captain America. You and the Avengers have friends in the Wakandan pantheon. You need only ask for our aid, and you shall have it. The sun and moon shall shine upon your armies. Water and food will never be scarce for them, and fortune, war, and death itself will come to your aid."

 

"Good to know we've got more than the Norse gods on our side." Sam smiled at the God of the Dead's offer.

 

"As for En Sabah Nur, I'm burdened to inform you that he will return." Anubis massaged his hand.

 

"Not to question a god, but how do you know?" Natasha asked, eliciting a chuckle from Anubis.

 

"Simple, Miss Romanoff. His soul isn't on my scale." Anubis waved his hand, creating a door. "Would you and Mister Rogers be so kind as to join me for a brief lunch? I have something I'd like to discuss with you two regarding your recent trip to Galador."

 

"I feel like I'm getting called into the principal's office," Steve quipped. He and Natasha followed the God of the Dead through the portal, with the door to Anubis' domain closing behind the three of them.

 

"We didn't get a chance to tell him about Red Skull." Sam put his shield on his back.

 

"Honestly, it's better if Steve doesn't know until after we have him in custody. You remember how he got after the fight against Thanos. He was pissed that Red Skull was still around as the Stonekeeper," Bucky explained.

 

"The only thing that got him out of his funk was Wanda telling him that if we returned the Stone, Red Skull would be trapped on Vormir for eternity." Sam nodded.

 

"Cap, Barnes, this is Sharon. We have Skull and Zemo. No sign of Mystique anywhere." Sharon's voice came over the comms.

 

"We've got Horemheb. Oh, and Apocalypse is dust for now thanks to Anubis," Sam replied.

 

"Love that guy." Sharon's voice was filled with approval. "Oh, by the way, Barnes. I have something you might want to see."

 

"We're on our way back to New York. Meet us there," Sam ordered.

 


 

New York

June 7th, 2021

 


 

Sam and Bucky stepped off of the Quinjet, finding Sharon and Scott waiting for them, both dressed in civilian attire other than the shield on Sharon's arm.

 

"Laura went back home. She's going to try to track down Mystique," Sharon explained. She pulled the shield from her arm, twirling it around to show to Bucky.

 

"Son of a bitch." Bucky nodded slowly. "Red Guardian's shield. The Soviets tried to make their own Captain America and then have him be the first man on the moon. Didn't work out too well, and they lost the shield somewhere in Siberia." Bucky ran his hand along the disk. "Sam's is better."

 

"Ooh, defending the boyfriend," Scott joked. Sam and Bucky gave him tired looks. "Sorry. Cassie's not into anyone, and I have all this dad banter just laying around."

 

"You know, we took down Apocalypse and captured the founder of HYDRA." Bucky crossed his arms. "I'd say that's a damn fine first mission for the new Captain America."

 

"Yeah." Sam smiled. "I think so too."

 

"Besides. It's not time for our periodic 'The world is in immediate danger' team-up, so I'd say the Avengers and Sharon Carter have earned a bit of time off." Sharon jabbed Sam with her elbow.

 

"Fine, you can be an Avenger." Sam rolled his eyes. He and Bucky then walked inside of the Avengers facility, leaving a happy Sharon to pump her arm in joy. Scott laughed, and he pulled Sharon in for a hug.

 

"I've gotta get home. Get Cassie out of Luis' hair," Scott explained.

 

"Do you mean get Luis out of Cassie's?" Sharon asked. Scott laughed, walking away.

 


 

New Jersey

 


 

Red Skull stroked his chin as a headless robot slowly took form in front of him. A hologram of Zola's head appeared in the gap where the robot's should have been, and he looked down at his new body.

 

"Look at us, Doctor Zola. Almost a century later, and we finally have our deepest desires. I wished to wield the powers of the gods, and I have been changed by the might of the Infinity Stones. You wished to create the perfect meld of man and machine, and you stand as a being of technological superiority."

 

"What is our first course of action, Herr Schmidt?"

 

"Alexander Pierce was the head of HYDRA after my... Disappearance. He did excellent work, but that head has been cut off."

 

"And two more shall take his place." Zola smiled.

 

"Indeed, Doctor." Red Skull chuckled. "Indeed."

Chapter 16: Let's Hear It For Captain America

Summary:

A month after the defeat of Apocalypse, Sam Wilson is officially introduced to the world as Captain America.

Notes:

It's been a bit action packed recently. I'm looking forward to a quieter chapter.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Captain's Log

Entry 016:

 

Life's going good. No major threats have reared their ugly heads, so that's nice. Bucky and I are taking things slow, but it's nice. Sharon and Wanda make the occasional joke, but they're just showing us that they're happy for us. I think Sharon's getting a little tired of being the fifth wheel, though. Anyways, tonight's a big gala. President's going to be there to introduce me to the world. Steve said he didn't plan on coming. That tonight's Captain America's night, not Steve Rogers'.

 

My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America.

 


 

Earth-62338

New York

July 4th, 2021

 


 

"No, no!" Sharon yelled.

 

"Power Geyser!" Came the call from the television.

 

"Son of a bitch!" Sharon groaned.

 

"Terry wins!" The announcer called.

 

"How are you so good at this?" Sharon put her controller down at the table. "My Enderman was unbeatable at the JCTC! I call shenanigans."

 

"Never bet against someone with heightened reflexes, Sharon." Bucky put his controller on the table before standing up. He gave Sharon a pat on the shoulder. "Come on, let's go. We need to look presentable tonight." Sharon rose with a chuckle, pointing at Bucky.

 

"You need to look presentable tonight. I need to stop making stupid bets." Sharon sighed. Carol walked in, eating leftover pasta from a plastic container. Goose sat on her shoulder, pawing for Carol's fork.

 

"Who won?" Carol asked, plucking a piece of pasta from the bowl with her fingers and handing it to the flerken. Bucky grinned, and Sharon rolled her eyes. "Nice play, Barnes. Terry?"

 

"The damn Power Geyser," Sharon whispered to herself.

 

"Nice." Carol nodded at Bucky before looking back at Sharon. "So are you joining the club?" She pointed at her own short hair.

 

"I hope to God not. No offense, I just don't have your jawline." Sharon shook her head.

 

"Welp, no time to waste." Bucky ushered Sharon out of the room.

 

"I still call shenanigans!" A now more distant Sharon protested. Carol giggled, eating more pasta. Goose mewed, pawing for more.

 

"No, Goose. This is my lunch." Carol scolded the flerken, who let out a sad squeak. "Fine, one more. God, you're demanding."

 


 

Washington, DC

 


 

"I assure you, Madame President. The event will be the safest it can possibly be." Daisy took her arms from behind her back, laying out multiple agents on a map. "Myself and Robbie Reyes will be covering the east exit. Agent Carter and Colonel Rhodes will be on the west. Captain Danvers and Lieutenant Rambeau will be eyes in the sky. Vision and Wanda Maximoff are on mystical threat prevention."

 

"And you'll have Barnes and I on stage with you," Sam added. A Latino woman behind the desk in the Oval Office nodded.

 

"You'll have to excuse my hesitation on that last note, Captain Wilson." A man with brown hair and blue eyes stroked his chin.

 

"Mr. Vice President, I don't understand?" Daisy asked.

 

"Well, it's a bit like saying that you have John Wilkes Booth next to you." The Vice President's fingers fidgeted nervously. "You know, because they both, you know."

 

"Jack, please. Booth did it willingly, Barnes didn't. And we're well aware the Wakandans and Doctor Banner, rest his soul, dealt with all of his programming." The President nudged her Vice President in the thigh with her elbow. "Plus the general public doesn't actually know that it was Barnes that killed Kennedy."

 

"I know, Kamila." Jack raised his hands in surrender. "Are we sure Captain Rogers won't be making an appearance?"

 

"Absolutely certain." Sam pulled out his phone, tapping through it for a moment. "Quote the text he sent me back when I asked: 'Sam, I get one birthday a year. This is the first one since 1943 I don't have to be Captain America for it. I'm going to spend the day with my girlfriend, make my mom's recipe for blueberry pancakes, and ask Thor for some of that ale. Tell the POTUS and Veep I said hey.'. That's a pretty definitive no to me."

 

"I still can't get over the fact that Steve Rogers was born on July 4th." Daisy smiled.

 

"That's some determinism right there or something." Jack scratched his nose. "I always thought that was some government conspiracy or something. First thing I looked into when I got security clearance. The FBI Director was really confused because normally new people in office ask about JFK or Area 51."

 

"Bucky Barnes and a renewable energy initiative using the Tesseract until it got moved to NASA. Now it's just storage for old space shuttles," Kamila commented. Daisy and Sam looked at each other and nodded.

 

"What about you, Wilson? Got a really American birthday?" Daisy asked.

 

"September 23rd. Same day as Bruce Springsteen." Sam smiled.

 

"American enough for me." Jack chuckled. Sam's phone buzzed.

 

"The rest of the Avengers will be wheels up in two hours. Sans Harley Keener, who has a big Stark Industries charity event tonight. Also Spider-Man and Mysterio, who are helping out at said charity event," Captain America explained.

 

"Well, I don't mind giving those three up since we have Captain America, the Winter Soldier, Captain Marvel, Scarlet Witch, and the Vision." Kamila chuckled.

 

"Throw in War Machine, Ghost Rider, and Quake, and you've got the '27 Yankees," The Vice President added.

 

"Well." Kamila stood up from her desk, walking over to a bottle of whiskey on a shelf. She brought it over to the desk, along with four glasses. Sam eyed the bottle, smiling fondly at the brand as the President poured four glasses.

 

"Old Fitzgerald. Riley, my pararescue wingman, was a big fan," Sam explained.

 

"Well then. To Riley, to the United States, and to Captain America." Kamila raised her glass. The other three followed suit before all taking a drink.

 


 

New York

 


 

"Alright, Barnes. You're done." The barber gave Bucky a good natured pat on the shoulder as he removed the cape from Barnes' neck. Bucky examined his haircut, looking like he did before the war, before the ice, before the Winter Soldier. He got out of his seat, running his hand through his quiff.

 

"You're as good as your granddad, Mick." Bucky smiled.

 

"Alright, now that errand is done, we should get rolling." Sharon smiled. Bucky shook his head.

 

"I would have forgotten if you didn't say anything, Carter. But a bet's a bet." Bucky nudged Sharon on the shoulder.

 

"Son of a b..." Sharon noted a boy waiting for his father's haircut to be done. "Blessed America." Her eyes darted back and forth at her terrible save of the phrase.

 

"Do I want to know?" Mick asked. Sharon sighed before walking towards the chair.

 

"I lost a bet. Whatever cut is in the picture." Sharon sighed as she lifted her hair up. Mick flicked his cape around Sharon's shoulders, putting a strip of paper between her skin and the cape before snapping it shut.

 

"You know, Carter, you'd look great as a flapper." Bucky grinned, taking out his phone.

 

"Don't you dare!" Sharon's eyes filled with both fear and rage as Bucky showed a picture to Mick, who nodded with a sly smile.

 


 

Wanda, Vision, Carol, Monica, and Rhodey stood on the front lawn of the Avengers Facility, waiting rather impatiently.

 

"So are we waiting for Robbie too?" Rhodey asked.

 

"No, he's meeting us in DC," Wanda answered. A Quinjet landed nearby, with Bucky and Sharon getting out. Sharon's head was covered with a beanie, disguising her hair.

 

"Took you guys long enough." Rhodey punched Bucky in the shoulder. "Did you have to go to Brooklyn?"

 

"You see this haircut?" Bucky pointed at head.

 

"We do, and it looks damn good," Wanda answered.

 

"This is a haircut you can only get from a barber you trust. And I trust a barber who's named after his granddad and now owns his granddad's barbershop," Bucky explained.

 

"Still, one haircut, no matter how good, shouldn't take that long." Wanda examined her nails before his eyes lit up. "It wasn't just one haircut."

 

"Told you she lost the bet." Carol smirked.

 

"Take off the hat, Sharon." Bucky nudged her in the shoulder. The Avengers made various noises of anticipation as Agent 13 reached up to her head. Sharon took off her beanie, revealing that her hair was now at a similar length that of Natasha's blonde hair during the Infinity War.

 

"Huh." Wanda scratched her nose. "That was a lot of build up for not much of a haircut."

 

"Not much?" Sharon's jaw dropped. She pointed at her now chin-length hair. "This was, like, three quarters of a foot that got chopped!"

 

"I've got four inches at best on the top." Carol ran her hand though her pompadour before gesturing at the sides. "And half an inch on the rest."

 

"Touché." Sharon pointed at Carol.

 

"Ladies, gentlemen, we're on schedule here." Vision sighed. Wanda grinned, opening a portal for the Avengers to go through.

 


 

The Mediterranean Sea

 


 

Red Skull and Zola stood together in the war room of a Hydra base, watching a television.

 

"Our world has seen a great many threats in the past decade. The Chitauri invasion of New York, the Hydra resurgence and takeover of SHIELD, Ultron's attacks in 2015 and 2019, and the threat of Thanos that lead to the Decimation. But today we stand, my fellow Americans, resilient and strong. A shield against tyranny. For almost a century, Captain America has stood as a representation of that bastion. For most of that time, Captain America was Steve Rogers. His defeat of the Red Skull and valiant stand against Thanos have earned him any award he could want, and he has chosen the quiet retirement he deserves. He has not left us alone, however. Captain America is more than Steve Rogers. Today, I have the pleasure of officially welcoming the new Captain America to the role." The President spoke.

 

"Bah." Red Skull rolled his eyes.

 

"Herr Schmidt, our agent is in place." Zola piped up.

 

"Excellent, Doctor. It is time for Hydra to make a grand return." Red Skull chuckled. "And what better way to do so than to kill the President of the United States as this pretender Captain America and his loyal dogs watch helplessly?"

 

"And now, I would like to welcome to the stage... Captain America!"

 


 

Washington, DC

 


 

Sam stood off of the stage, breathing in deeply. He was suited up, shield on his back. He looked to his left, seeing Bucky walking over to him. Sam's eyes widened at his boyfriend's new haircut, smiling.

 

"Hey, Sam." Bucky smiled.

 

"Hey, Bucky." Sam touched Bucky's quiff. "I liked the long hair, but this? This is a good look."

 

"Thanks." Bucky leaned in to kiss Sam, which Sam accepted. "It's nice to be, you know, Bucky again. Not the Winter Soldier. Finally shredding the last bit of Hydra." Bucky looked down at his metal arm. "Other than, you know."

 

"That's not Hydra. That's Shuri." Sam reassured his boyfriend.

 

"Point taken." Bucky smirked. "Besides, you said it's nice and cool at night."

 

"I've always been more of a winter guy." Sam grinned. Bucky rolled his eyes.

 

"And now, I would like to welcome to the stage... Captain America!" Kamila's voice came from the stage.

 

"That's our cue," Sam said. He and Bucky walked onto the stage, where the President and Vice President were waiting. The crowd, with a few angry exceptions, cheered at the sight of the two, and Sam gave a good natured wave.

 

"Captain, if you'd please." Jack gestured to the mic. Sam nodded.

 

"I'm Sam Wilson. I served two tours in Afghanistan. 58th Pararescue Squadron. For most of those years, it was me and my wingman, Riley. Then on a mission we had done hundreds of before, a lucky RPG shot took Riley out. I felt like I was up there to watch. I couldn't put those wings on anymore, so I left the service when my tour was done. I started working at the VA, trying to help others like me get a grip on the baggage that every service-member carries." Sam smiled. "Then I met Steve Rogers. He gave me a reason to put the wings back on, a mission to help people like Riley and I had always done. I joined the Avengers, became an international fugitive for a bit, and then..." Sam paused. "Thanos. I was in the dusted half. I was there when Stephen Strange made the plan to save the universe, and I was there when the Soul Stone was destroyed. Then I woke up years later in Wakanda, with Vision standing over me telling me that it was time for the fight of our lives." Sam breathed in. "In the end, we won. But it changed things for a lot of us. Steve Rogers was no exception." Sam pulled his shield from his back. "When Steve gave me this, I told him it felt like it was someone else's. He told me it wasn't, and I promised him I'd do my best."

 

"That's not your shield!" A heckler yelled. "You're not Captain America!" Bucky's eye twitched for a moment, but Sam remained resilient.

 

"What does it mean to be Captain America?" Sam asked the now quiet crowd. "It's not a shield, it's not a suit, it's not a name. I don't ask the Avengers to follow Captain America. I ask them to follow Sam Wilson. I ask them to follow the little preacher's kid from Harlem who dreamed about helping people so he put on a pair of wings to be the guardian angel he wished he had growing up." Sam slid his arm into his shield. "I may not be your Captain America, but my name is Sam Wilson..." He looked the heckler in the eyes. "And I am Captain America." Sam's voice was filled with the powerful tones of leadership. The heckler fell quiet as the crowd erupted into cheers and chants of his name. Bucky looked up, his eyes narrowing.

 


 

A woman with blonde hair looked down the scope of her rifle, taking aim at the stage.

 

"Hail Hydra." The woman's voice was laced with a Russian accent. She smirked as she squeezed the trigger.

 


 

"SNIPER!" Bucky yelled. He tackled the President as a gunshot ran out. The bullet whizzed by, going right through where the President's head had been. A second gunshot rang out, but Bucky caught the bullet. Sam took off into the air, flying towards the sniper.

 

"Sam, there's a bomb in the crowd!" Carol yelled into the comms as she slammed down into the crowd, searching for it. "I can feel the energy from it!"

 

"Cap, second shooter! Rhodey and I are trying to deal with them!" Sharon explained.

 

"I'm going after the sniper. Bucky, get the POTUS and Veep out of here," Sam ordered. A third sniper shot rang out as Daisy and Robbie arrived on the stage. Jack dove between the sniper's sight line and Kamila, and the Vice President crumpled to the ground as Quake and Ghost Rider ushered the President away.

 

"There's a problem with that," Bucky explained as he knelt down next the Vice President. "Jack Ganderton is dead."

 

"Son of a..." Sam growled. "Keep me posted." He landed in front of the fleeing sniper, hurling his shield at her. The vibranium disk slammed into her face, knocking her down. "So. Who's paying you to kill a President?"

 

"Oh, I'm not getting paid to do it. I'm in it for other rewards." The woman grinned.

 

"Who are you?" Sam demanded.

 

"Why don't you ask the Soldát, Captain?" The woman pulled a knife from her hip. She lunged forward at Sam, spinning her body around in the air to kick him in the face. He blocked the strike with his shield, backpedaling as she continued to fight. Sam tossed his shield sideways before punching the sniper in the stomach. The shield came back, hitting her in the shoulder. She grabbed the shield, slipping it onto her arm and swinging it at Captain America. Sam noted that the strikes were not amateur. She knew how to fight with a shield like it. Sam also noticed something else as she wrapped her legs around his head and spun around.

 

She fought like Natasha.

 

She fought like a Black Widow.

 

Sam threw the woman off of his shoulders, and she landed with cat-like grace, shield still on her arm. Captain America deployed his wings, flying towards the window he had flown in. He pulled out a gun, firing at the sniper. She blocked the shots with Sam's shield, grinning behind it. Sam soared into open air and smiled slightly.

 

"Clamps!" Sam yelled. The straps on his shield clicked, and the woman looked down in horror. She couldn't remove the shield. Sam held out his hand, and the shield began to fly back to him, dragging the sniper with it. As soon as she as out of the building, the lock on Sam's shield disengaged, and she fell from the disk's grip. Bucky fired a taser into her from his rifle as Rhodey caught her, bringing the assassin down to the ground. Sam landed as Bucky walked over.

 

"You didn't get every head." The woman smirked before falling unconscious. Bucky and Sam looked at each other with rage in their eyes.

 

"Hydra." Bucky growled.

 


 

The Avengers, along with Daisy and Robbie, stood in the Oval Office as the President paced behind her desk.

 

"This was perfectly planned. A bomb to distract Captain Marvel, a second shooter to cause chaos, and then a sniper aimed at me and the Vice President." The President leaned on her chair. "God, Jack didn't deserve that. He took that bullet for me."

 

"Madame President, I feel that I am largely to blame. I have been searching for Ultron for the last month, and I was distracted by the Reality Stone finally finding him at the worst possible moment." Vision bowed his head respectfully.

 

"No, no. It's not you. I'm the one who pushed this forward even though the intelligence services said it was too dangerous." Kamila looked at Sharon. "Do we have an ID on either shooter?"

 

"The second one is a man named Butch Klinburg. Gulf War vet. He has ties with multiple neo-Nazi groups." Sharon explained. "He made more than a few very racist posts on numerous message boards about wanting to do some terrible things to the new Captain America."

 

"Sounds lovely." Sam sighed.

 

"And the blonde woman?" The President asked.

 

"She's Russian. That's all I have." Sharon shrugged with shame.

 

"I know her." Bucky piped up. The group looked at him. "Yelena Belova."

 

"Are you sure?" Daisy asked.

 

"She's a Widow, like Natalia." Bucky nodded. "And I trained her for Hydra."

Notes:

Long as hell chapter today, folks! We're moving into the second arc of this story.

Chapter 17: Target

Summary:

The Avengers work towards uncovering Hydra's plans, starting with Yelena Belova.

Notes:

Oh, interesting story for those who follow the MCFFU. Guardians 3 is getting rewritten because I've never been super happy with it. The old one will be sticking around on AO3, but it will no longer be canon.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Captain's Log

Entry 017:

 

The Nazis are back! Fuck! A Hydra operative killed the Vice President, an operative who turned out to be a Black Widow. We tried calling Steve and Natasha to help with this because that's definitely both of their wheelhouses, but apparently they've just totally dropped off the grid. Must of had one hell of a birthday. Thankfully we have Rhodey staying behind, even though the rest of Carol's crew are going off to deal with Ultron, who is also back at the worst time.

 

My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America.

 


 

Earth-62338

Atlantic Ocean

The Raft

July 5th, 2021

 


 

Bucky and Sharon walked through the halls of the Raft, suited up. Bucky looked to his left, seeing a man in a cell labelled as Willis Stryker.

 

"He fought one of those Hell's Kitchen vigilantes a while back. Goes by Diamondback," Sharon explained. Bucky grunted in reply as the two continued down the hallway. "You know how we're going to get her to talk?"

 

"I've got a trick or two." Bucky's voice was flat. "I'm not looking forward to using them." The two Avengers arrived at Yelena's cell, though the glass on the cell was blacked out. "I'm going in alone. I need you to trust me, no matter what it looks like is happening in there."

 

"Okay." Sharon nodded. Bucky entered the cell, and Yelena looked up at him with a smug look. She was handcuffed to a table, her blonde hair in a ponytail and a smug smirk on her face.

 

"We can do this the easy way, or the way I don't want to do." Bucky crossed his arms.

 

"I'm not helping you. You might have the face of my teacher, but you're not him. Not anymore. Now you're just Captain America's attack dog." Yelena smirked.

 

"Yelena, we both know where this is going if you don't tell me who gave you the order, and who the next target is." Bucky clenched his metal fist.

 

"No, I don't think I will." Yelena laughed. "Because I don't think you have the guts to do what you have to do to get this intell out of me. I don't think you have it in you to do to me what your handlers, what Zemo, did to you. You're too soft, too heroic now. A waste. Hydra did such great things with you as the Soldier. You killed Kennedy, taught me how to kill, helped me with my first mark. What was her name again?"

 

"Valentina Allegra de Fontaine. Hydra found out she sabotaged the Italians during the war."

 

"Right, you were always so good at remembering old marks. They always stuck with you even after they made a brain purée out of your memories." Yelena taunted.

 

"Fine." Bucky sighed. He breathed in deeply. "Отмщение." The Winter Soldier's words switched to Russian. Yelena's eyes widened. "Балерина. Учитель."

 

"No!" Yelena yelled.

 

"Ворона. Шесть. Восстановление." Bucky continued.

 

"Stop, stop! I'm not telling you anything!" Yelena screamed.

 

"Тюрьма. Двенадцать. Справедливость." The Black Widow yanked at her handcuffs, trying to cover her ears.

 

"No!" Yelena slammed her head into the table, trying to knock herself out.

 

"Пробуждение." Bucky completed the phrase. Yelena stopped moving and fell silent. "Золотой паук с укусом вдовы, теперь почитай бой своей страны." Bucky gently lifted Yelena's head off of the table. "Are you listening, Widow?"

 

"Ready to comply." Yelena's tone was emotionless.

 

"I know from experience that there is another Hydra attack eminent. Tell me where and when it is happening," Bucky ordered.

 

"France. In four hours."

 

"The target?" Bucky asked, his voice taking on an urgent tone.

 

"An author named Justine Cocteau. She's giving a talk at a coffee shop near the Eiffel Tower," Yelena answered.

 

"Who's giving you your orders?" Bucky asked.

 

"Doctor Zola," Yelena replied. Bucky growled.

 

"Chernaya Al'fa," Bucky ordered. Yelena's head fell back as she was put to sleep by the command. Sharon opened the door to the cell, throwing Bucky a comm-link. "Sam, Rhodey, come in."

 

"Go for Cap. What do you have?" Sam asked.

 

"The next target. Sharon and I are going to France. We also know who's giving the orders. It's somehow Arnim Zola."

 

"I thought Steve and Nat watched him go up in flames." Rhodey cut in.

 

"Apparently not. Any luck getting in contact with them?" Bucky asked.

 

"None. Heimdall said they're on the other end of the universe right now," Rhodey replied.

 

"Rhodey and I will go to New Jersey and see what's left of Lehigh," Sam explained.

 

"Sounds good," Bucky replied.

 

"We need to get moving," Sharon interjected.

 

"Right. Sam, Rhodes, keep us posted. Barnes out." Bucky and Sharon stepped out of Yelena's cell and began to run down the hall.

 

"Bucky, about what happened in there..." Sharon began.

 

"Later." Bucky waved her off.

 


 

The Mediterranean Sea

 


 

Red Skull tapped his foot impatiently yet rhythmically, evidently waiting for someone.

 

"Giovinezza?" A gravelly voice asked. Red Skull turned, seeing a man in white, blue, and yellow armour and a skull mask covered by a hood. He had various weapons attached to his armour, from a sword, shield, and quiver on his back to a collapsed bow on his right shin to twin pistols and batons on his hips to the retracted claws in his fingertips.

 

"Indeed. I didn't take you for a man of culture, Taskmaster." Red Skull folded his arms behind his back.

 

"I'm a man of everything, Skull. That's my whole gimmick." Taskmaster chuckled.

 

"Hmm." Red Skull nodded. "I take it that my soldier is ready?"

 

"Yeah, you've got your archer. I'm working on the others for you, but I expect to be paid."

 

"Is the better world I offer not enough?" Red Skull asked. Taskmaster laughed, causing Schmidt to roll his eyes.

 

"You serious?" Taskmaster threw his hands up. "I don't work for free, Skeletor. And I'm not in it for any cause except myself. I've done jobs for the KGB, FSB, CIA, FBI, KHAD, SHIELD, Hammer Industries, Oscorp, Roxxon, AIM, and now you. Cash is the only king I follow."

 

"I respect a professional. Very well. Your fee will be in your account within the hour." Red Skull sighed. "You're a steep rate, but your record shines."

 

"Longbow will do everything you need her to, Emperor Gruumm." Taskmaster spun on his heel before walking away. "That joke was a deep cut!"

 


 

New Jersey

 


 

Sam and Rhodey made their way through the rubble of Camp Lehigh. Rhodey was once again wearing his Mark V armour rather than the much more bulky Mark VI.

 

"Jocasta, what do you have?" Rhodey asked.

 

"Colonel Rhodes, there's an odd energy signature within an artificial cavern beneath us." Jocasta replied.

 

"The SHIELD base." Rhodes deployed his helmet and lifted off of the ground. "Alright, Cap. Move, or you're getting caught in the crossfire." Sam took to the skies, out of the way of the might of War Machine. Rhodey opened fire on the rubble beneath him, tearing a hole through it and into the crater beneath. Both heroes landed, making their way into the ruins. "Well this is... Neat."

 

"Captain, watch your step," Jocasta advised. Sam looked down, seeing a greenish-blue goo on the ground.

 

"Gross." Sam shook his head.

 

"Jocasta, analyze it please," Rhodey ordered.

 

"Hmm. Oh, my." Jocasta's voice was full of mild shock.

 

"I don't like the sound of that." Captain America sighed.

 

"It shares genetic markers with five individuals," Jocasta explained. "Emil Blonksy, Bruce Banner, James Barnes, Johann Schmidt, and Steve Rogers."

 

"So it's related to the Super Soldier Serum. Great." Sam sighed.

 


 

France

 


 

Bucky and Sharon stepped off of the Quinjet into a crowd. A police officer came forward.

 

"Lock the area down," Bucky ordered. The officer nodded, beginning to yell for the crowd to clear out.

 

"If you were a Hydra assassin, where would you..." Sharon looked at Bucky, who gave her an annoyed look. "Sorry. My mouth was moving faster than my brain."

 

"Mmm." Bucky looked up at a building. "That one has a good line of sight." The two Avengers approached the door, stepping inside the building. "Take the elevator. I'll take the stairs."

 

"Right." Sharon nodded as she stepped inside. Bucky began to run up the stairs, pulling small disks from his belt off and placing them on the floors as he went. He arrived on the top floor as the elevator dinged, with Sharon stepping out. She shook her head in mild exasperation. "Damn super soldier speed." Bucky pulled his rifle from his back with a grin as Sharon drew her pistol. The two walked through the cubicles, looking for their target. Bucky's eyes shifted, and he kicked Sharon into one of the cubicles before spinning around and catching an arrow with his vibranium arm. The arrowhead exploded within the Winter Soldier's fist, causing his arm to begin to glow with kinetic energy. The archer pulled another arrow from her quiver. She was dressed in a suit similar in design to Clint's from the Battle of New York, but coloured in dark green and yellow. She also had a a helmet like Captain America's with wings on the front and a capital "H" on the top, along with the Hydra octopus on her chest instead of the SHIELD logo. Sharon popped out of the cubicle, taking a shot at the archer. The archer fired her arrow as she dove out of the path of the bullet, the arrow striking the wall next to Agent 13. It beeped twice before letting out a concussive pulse that knocked both Agent 13 and the Winter Soldier back. Bucky smashed through the cubicle wall, tackling the archer.

 

"So Hydra's got rip-off Avengers now?" Bucky demanded.

 

"The name's Longbow." The Hydra operative wrapped her shins around Bucky's neck, flipping out from under him before stabbing him in the back with an arrow. Bucky contorted his metal arm, pulling the arrow out in time for him to catch a second. Sharon jumped forward, kneeing Longbow in the gut before twirling around to kick her in the face. Longbow twisted around in the air, landing with cat-like grace. She drew two arrows from her quiver, firing one at Bucky and one past Sharon.

 

"You missed." Sharon smirked as Bucky caught the arrow.

 

"Taskmaster doesn't train people to miss." Longbow smirked. The arrow blew up in Bucky's hand, revealing that it was a flashbang rather than an explosive by blinding him for a moment. The second arrow opened up, engulfing Sharon in a net. Longbow took off running, moving towards the stairwell. The Winter Soldier shook the effects of the flashbang off before tapping his wrist. The sound of a concussive blast went off, and the door to the stairwell flew into the room, slamming into Longbow. She got up, pointing her bow at one of the windows, which promptly detonated. She fired out of the window, creating a line for her to swing down from. "Stop me or the bomb at the Eiffel Tower. Pick your poison." Longbow swung out of the window as Bucky pulled the net off of Sharon.

 

"I'll chase her. Get the bomb," Sharon ordered. Bucky nodded. Sharon ran towards the window, holding out her arm. Blue magnets on her arm flashed as she jumped out of the window, firing a grapple hook behind her. The hook latched into the wall as Red Guardian's old shield flew onto her arm. It had been stripped of its Soviet colour scheme and symbolism in favour of similar muted blues and silvers to those of the stealth paint job of the Captain America shield, only without the star. Sharon swung upwards, landing on the roof and running after Longbow. The Hydra operative realized she was being tailed and fired an arrow backwards, but Sharon dove forward so that she was fully behind her shield as the arrow impacted, falling to the ground. Sharon tossed her shield forward, smacking Longbow in the chest before flying back to Sharon's arm. Longbow drew an arrow, but Agent 13 bashed her with her shield, knocking her down. The Hydra operative threw down her bow, taking two knives from her hips. The two women then began to dual in earnest. Longbow swung down at Agent 13, but the Avenger blocked the attack and grabbed Longbow's wrist, twisting her arm behind her back and kneeing the Hydra operative in the side repeatedly, forcing the blade from her hand. The archer swung her head back, hitting Sharon in the face and making her let go. Agent 13 wiped blood from her lip and smirked, kicking Longbow first in the gut and then in the chin.  Longbow dropped her other knife as she fell back into a transformer on the roof, growling as she got up. Longbow charged forward, drawing an arrow from her quiver as she grabbed Sharon's shield. The Hydra operative pulled the shield down and pushed the arrow forward, the razor sharp tip piercing Sharon's suit and skin. Agent 13 grunted as the arrow was pushed into her gut, and the Hydra operative chuckled sadistically as she gave the arrow a twist. Longbow smirked, kicking Sharon over onto her back. The Hydra operative knelt down next to her, picking up Sharon's wrist and activating her comms.

 

"Oh, Winter Soldier. I know you're a bit busy with that bomb, but your friend's been stabbed. Might need to help her." Longbow smirked before she got up and ran away. Sharon groaned, setting her head back.

 

"Sharon? Sharon, do you copy?" Bucky demanded.

 

"I... copy. Stop the bomb." Sharon groaned as she pushed herself up so she could lean on the transformer. Sharon heard a portal open next to her, and Wanda stepped through with what looked like a teenage girl with a quiver and a bow on her back. "Wanda?"

 

"It's me, Sharon." Wanda nodded.

 

"Who are you?" Sharon asked the teenage girl.

 

"I'm Lila Barton. Clint's daughter." The teen explained as Wanda began to work on Sharon's wound. Sharon's eyes narrowed.

 

"I thought you were, like, younger." Sharon tilted her head back and forth.

 

"So did I." Lila nodded. "I was 13 when I got dusted, and my brother was 14. When my family came back, Cooper and I were both older. Three years older. And apparently I've got three years more training from Dad too."

 

"Vision thinks something happened with the Time Stone when Bruce snapped that made Cooper and Lila age as though they hadn't been dusted. Not Nathaniel, though," Wanda explained.

 

"Bucky said there was a Hydra archer. Wanda thought you should call in an archery expert," Lila added. Wanda almost grabbed the arrow shaft, but Lila stopped her. "I'll pull it out, you close the gash." Wanda nodded, taking her hand off of the arrow shaft. "This... Is going to hurt."

 


 

New York

 


 

Sam, Bucky, Rhodey, Wanda, and Lila stood outside of the medical wing of the Avengers Facility. Vision stepped outside, a look of relief on her face.

 

"Sharon's in the Cradle. She'll be out of commission for a day or two, but she'll be alright," Vision explained. He then pointed to the television behind the group. "Look at that, we're on the news." With a wave of his hand, the television was unmuted.

 

"Captured thanks to amateur camera men, we can see the battle between Avenger and SHIELD Agent Sharon Carter and an unknown archer in France this afternoon. Sources state it is related to the bomb found at the Eiffel Tower. Thanks to the quick action of Avengers Bucky Barnes and Vision, no civilians were injured." Vision muted the television again.

 

"So what's our next play?" Lila asked.

 

"We've got a trace of the Super Soldier Serum at Lehigh. Jocasta and FRIDAY are running tests on it," Rhodey explained.

 

"Lila, I-" Wanda began.

 

"Wanda, we need all hands on deck." Sam crossed his arms.

 

"You got it, Cap." Wanda acquiesced.

 

"Speaking of all hands, where are Fishbowl and the Boy Wonders?" Sam asked.

 

"Harley's working protection for Tony, Pepper, and the kids. We figure that they'll be targets," War Machine explained.

 

"Peter and Quentin are with Daisy and Robbie. They're working through old SHIELD bases, trying to find any trace of Hydra," Scarlet Witch added.

 

"We have another lead. Yelena Belova said that Arnim Zola was giving the orders. Combine that with the Serum found at Camp Lehigh, and I think we've got something." Bucky piped up.

 

"Avengers, we've managed to decode the Serum found at Camp Lehigh." Jocasta's voice came over the comms.

 

"It's a direct match for one of the five subjects. Johann Schmidt, alias Red Skull," FRIDAY explained.

 

"Sam, you and I should have a talk with him in the Mirror Dimension, then." Vision looked at Sam. Sam nodded, and the Reality Stone flashed as a portal of broken glass opened. Sam and Vision stepped through, the portal closing behind them.

 

"Do we know anything about the intended target in France?" Lila asked.

 

"Yeah. Her name is Justine Cocteau. She's on a book tour for her biography on her dad. He was an SSR agent within Hydra in the waning days of the war. Gave the Commandos the intell we needed to take seven plants before he was found out," Bucky explained.

 

"And President Álvaro signed the Rogers Act, which put jail-time on being a neo-Nazi." Vision pointed out.

 

"So Hydra's after revenge." Rhodey nodded.

 

"So we have an MO. We can narrow down potential targets using that." Bucky paused, looking at the television. "FRIDAY, unmute."

 

"...chemical attack on the Canadian Parliament has resulted in four deaths, including Jean-Paul Beaubier. Beaubier, better known as Northstar, was a World War II hero known for fighting alongside fellow superheroes as a member of Alpha Flight. Video provided by an anonymous passerby shows what is believed to be the assailant," The video showed a man with copper gauntlets on his hands, though the rest of his arms were covered by a long trench coat.

 

"I need to have another chat with Yelena." Bucky growled.

 


 

The Mediterranean Sea

 


 

Longbow walked into Red Skull's command room, her mask removed to reveal her brown tie tied in a tight bun.

 

"Ashley Olivier." Red Skull spoke. "You have done well. You were most certainly worth Taskmaster's price."

 

"Thank you, Herr Schmidt. But I didn't kill my target." Ashley tilted her head, confused.

 

"You were never meant to." Red Skull smiled. "I knew the Avengers would crack Belova. Rather, I knew Barnes would crack her. She told the Avengers everything. A foiled attack is made to strike fear into the hearts of the world. And fear is Hydra's greatest weapon." Schmidt folded his arms behind his back. "Copperhead killed three interns and feeble old man today. Perhaps that old man was a former superhero, but he was an old man nonetheless." The Head of Hydra began to pace. "Belova killed the Vice President rather than the President, but that closeness to death strikes great fear into the President's heart." Zola entered.

 

"It is ready." Zola explained. A robot resembling a mix of Scott Lang's suit and Darren Cross' Yellowjacket armour stepped out of Zola's lab.

 

"Black Ant reporting." The robot spoke.

 

"I have managed to fully replicate the Pym Particles taken by Mitchell Carson." Zola smiled.

 

"Good." Red Skull smiled. "It is nearly time for Hydra to step out of the shadows."

Notes:

For those curious, Yelena's trigger words are "Vengeance, ballerina, teacher, crow, six, restoration, prison, twelve, justice, awakening", followed by the activation phrase of "Golden spider with widow's bite, honour now your country's fight", before concluding with the deactivation phrase "Black Alpha".

Chapter 18: Plans and Schemes

Summary:

Hydra begins the next phase of their plan as the Avengers unravel exactly what that plan is.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Captain's Log

Entry 018:

 

Great, so Hydra's at three attacks now. Two people dead, operatives on the loose, and who knows what else to come. Hands are spread pretty thin right now, and this is the last thing that the world needed right after the Snap was undone. Add to that the fact that one of our biggest guns is in space fighting a evil robot while another one has to do his job as the mystical protector of our world, and this isn't great.

 

My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America.

 


 

Earth-62338

New York

July 5th, 2021

 


 

Sam and Vision emerged from the Mirror Dimension, looks of annoyance on their faces.

 

"That was a bust." Sam rolled his eyes.

 

"Nothing?" Lila asked.

 

"Apparently Sharon, Scott, and Laura hit him too hard. He's still denying that he's Red Skull." Sam shook his head.

 

"We took a blood sample. I'll work through it in the lab." Vision walked out of the room, cape swishing behind him.

 

"We need to figure out the next target." Sam crossed his arms.

 

"I believe I may have an answer." The voice of Loki cut through the compound. Sam, Wanda, Rhodey, and Lila turned to see Loki dragging in the unconscious Longbow.

 

"Loki." Wanda nodded.

 

"Witch," Loki replied.

 

"This one tried to sneak into New Asgard. Heimdall still sees everything... Except your Soul Stone empowered foe." Loki dumped Longbow onto the ground. "Though I managed to pull her next target from her head."

 

"Do tell." Wanda crossed her arms.

 

"I was about to, and then you interrupted me," Loki snarked. Wanda rolled her eyes.

 

"People, focus," Sam ordered.

 

"Of course, Captain Birdman." Loki nodded. "Erik Lehnsherr is the next target. He's the leader of Genosha."

 

"I'm familiar. Wanda, we'll get Laura from the Xavier Mansion," Sam ordered.

 

"Beck, Parker, do you copy?" Sam asked into his comms.

 

"Peter here. What's up, Sam-Captain-Cap... What's up, Cap?" Peter stammered.

 

"We need you and Beck on Genosha. We'll give you coordinates."

 

"I know where it is. I've been there before," Quentin replied.

 

"We'll meet you there. Cap out." Sam deactivated his comms before looking at Wanda, who nodded. "Loki, could you stay here for when Bucky needs a portal back from the Raft?" Loki gave him a small smirk of acceptance. Wanda suited up with a snap of her finger before opening a portal. Sam held out his hand, and his shield flew onto his arm. The two walked through, the portal closing behind them.

 


 

Mediterranean  Sea

 


 

Red Skull strolled into Zola's laboratory.

 

"Herr Schmidt, I've done it. I've done as Howard Stark, Bruce Banner, Calvin Zabo, and even myself once before all failed to do." Zola's avatar grinned as he held up a tube filled with blue liquid.

 

"The Super Soldier Serum. Well done, Doctor." Red Skull smiled.

 

"I require the perfect test subject, Herr Schmidt. Someone as close to Steve Rogers as possible, with all the factors that Erskine desired," Zola explained. Red Skull rolled his eyes.

 

"What was that drivel Erskine told me when I demanded the Serum from him? Ah, yes. 'The strong man who has known power all his life will lose respect for that power, but a weak man knows the value of strength'. We must find a weak man, I suppose." Red Skull's face sprouted a sly grin.

 

"That is the face of an idea, Herr Schmidt." Zola set the serum down.

 

"Indeed." Red Skull chuckled. "Steve Rogers didn't pass his shield to his enhanced friend, to the Winter Soldier. No. He passed it to a powerless man. A good man, I presume." Red Skull began to cackle. "He'll be the architect of his own destruction."

 


 

Genosha

 


 

Peter and Quentin stepped out of a portal and onto the soils of Genosha. Sam, Laura, and Wanda emerged from another nearby, and the five heroes nodded at each other.

 

"For the longest time, the X-Men had two leaders. Professor Xavier was our mission control, but our field leader was Erik," Laura explained. "In the field, we called him Magneto. He and Charles were best friends for almost half a century."

 

"Half a century? How? Xavier doesn't look like he's even brushing fifty." Sam asked.

 

"Mutants, even those without healing factors, age much slower than humans." A man with reddish-brown hair walked over to the group. "Still, I'm glad I aged well."

 

"Erik!" Laura walked over, her arms outstretched. Erik accepted the gesture, pulling Laura in for a hug.

 

"Laura, it’s good to see you. I love company, but I assume something else brings you to Genosha." Erik smiled at Laura.

 

"I hate to ask you to disrupt your peace, but it's important."

 

"You wouldn't be here if it wasn't." Erik nodded solemnly. He looked at Sam. “Captain America. It’s a pleasure.”

 

"Mr. Lehnsherr." Sam offered a handshake. Erik accepted it before offering one to Wanda.

 

"Wanda Maximoff." Wanda introduced herself. Erik's eyes narrowed as he looked at her. He shook himself out of it.

 

"My apologies. You remind me of my late wife." Erik smiled sadly. Wanda pondered the idea for a moment, mouthing the name 'Erik' to herself. Quentin extended his hand to Erik.

 

"Quentin Beck, this is Peter Parker. I'm big fan of how you can use a battleship as a projectile." Quentin joked. Erik shot Laura a look

 

"Did you tell them about the Falsworth?" He asked.

 

"No, but I really wish I did." Laura grinned.

 

"We worked together on my Earth," Quentin explained.

 

"Ah, dimension hopping. I'm vaguely familiar." Erik nodded. He shook Peter's hand, giving Peter enough time to look at his arm, which was marked by the number ‘24005’. The former field leader of the X-Men apparently noticed, as he subtly shifted the number away from Peter's vision by crossing his arms. "What brings you to Genosha."

 

"Hydra's back. We think that you're their next target." A gunshot went off, and a bullet soared for Erik's head. It stopped dead in the air with a motion of his hand, and he reached towards a house. Another series of gunshots rang out, and Wanda and Quentin both summoned the Shield of the Seraphim. Armour and a helmet flew out of Erik's house, wrapping around him. He lifted into the air slightly, clad in white armour as Magneto once more.

 


 

Atlantic Ocean

The Raft

 


 

Bucky entered Yelena's cell, an angry expression on his face.

 

"How many operatives does Hydra have?" He demanded.

 

"Oh, I think it's six or seven right now, including myself," Yelena answered. "You know, I really thought you wouldn't go there. Then you started with my trigger phrase. How's it feel to become Karpov, Pierce, Zemo?"

 

"I'm not any of them." Bucky scowled.

 

"You used to be." Yelena smirked. "Vladislav Listyev, Pierre Goldman, Olof Palme, John Kennedy, Howard and Maria Stark. Your hands are stained with blood. Lots more than mine."

 

"I didn't have a choice to pull the trigger." Bucky punched his metal arm into the table in frustration, the fist glowing slightly.

 

"Your memories came back a little over the years. You could have run. Hydra wouldn't have been able to stop you." Yelena leaned in closer "But you didn't." Alarms then began to blare within the prison, much to Bucky's chagrin. Yelena gave him a smug grin before the Winter Solder hit her in the face with his vibranium fist, knocking her out with a pulse of kinetic energy. He then got up and left the cell, where two guards were waiting.

 

"We have a breach," One of the guards explained. A gunshot then rang out, and the guard was felled.

 

"How many?" Bucky demanded, blocking a second gunshot with his hand.

 

"Ten, give or take!" The second guard explained before she too was killed. Bucky locked onto the offending Hydra soldier at the end of a hallway, beginning to make his way towards them. The soldier opened fire, but Bucky blocked the gunshots with his hand. Bucky grabbed the goon by the face, hurling them into a wall at the opposite end of the hallway.

 

"This is Barnes. Does anyone copy?" Bucky asked into his comms. They crackled for a moment, and he grunted in annoyance. "Hydra's got a jammer somewhere. Great."

 


 

New York

 


 

Vision stood in his lab, working at his console. Lila and Rhodey sat nearby, with Lila polishing her bow. Sharon walked in, and the group turned to look at her.

 

"Sharon, are you sure you should be up and about?" Vision crossed his arms.

 

"Vision, Dr. Cho's cradle works wonders. You should know that," Sharon replied.

 

"She's got you there." Rhodey snarked. Vision rolled his eyes slightly. His computer then began to beep.

 

"Oh." Vision's voice dropped.

 

"That's a bad sign." Lila grit her teeth.

 

"This is not Johann Schmidt's blood." Vision turned the screen to the group. "It's Mystique's."

 

"We have a fake Red Skull." Sharon realized.

 

"We need to tell the team." Rhodey activated his comms. He was met by crackling static. "Son of a bitch. Hydra's apparently got local jammers."

 

"Zola is noted as having invented some during his tenure with SHIELD. I will try to break through." Vision closed his eyes, the Reality Stone flashing.

 


 

Genosha

 


 

"By Excalibur's Exalted Edge!" Mysterio yelled as he put his fists together in front of him, drawing a magical blade from an invisible scabbard. He swung at a Hydra soldier, cleaving into his armour before impaling him with the magical blade. Sam soared above, hurling his shield down at a soldier before catching it and smashing down with a two-footed kick into said soldier. Scarlet Witch slammed her right fist into her chest and brought her left hand above her right shoulder before casting both hands forward.

 

"By the Icy Ire of Ikthalon!" Scarlet Witch yelled. A wave of mystical spikes of ice shot from her hand, impaling a pair of goons. She heard a gunshot and felt a bullet curve around her head. She gave Magneto a nod of appreciation. Sam divebombed into a Hydra operative, smashing his shield into them.

 

"Erik!" Laura yelled, running towards him. She lifted onto the air, and Erik twirled her around before hurling Wolverine at one of Hydra's goons. Sam threw his shield sideways, hitting another Hydra soldier. Magneto reached out, attempting to grab the vibranium shield but failing, with the disk loyally returning to Sam's arm.

 

"That's a new one," Erik noted.

 

"Beck, like Venice!" Peter yelled. Mysterio nodded and snapped his fingers at his side before bringing them up into an x in front of his chest. A glyph formed, and Mysterio pushed it outward with both hands.

 

"By the Stony Stare of Sekhmet!" Mysterio yelled. A massive stone shot from the ground, blocking a set of bullets. Peter webbed the stone, spinning it around above his head before throwing it at a particular Hydra goon clad in armour. The armoured man caught the stone before throwing it aside.

 

"Erik?" Wolverine asked. Erik reached out, trying to attack the man. Laura spun beneath Sam's shield, allowing it to smashing into another soldier.

 

"I can't. It's not responding to my powers." Magneto shook his head. Mysterio's bubble helmet flipped around his head, the mists within swirling.

 

"It's magically enhanced," Mysterio groaned. He then summoned the Rub Rings of Raggadorr with their signature boom boom whoosh before tossing them at a soldier who was aiming for Spider-Man.

 

"Quentin, juice me," Wanda sighed. Magneto called a piece of debris to his hand and hurled it at a soldier, sending them flying.

 

"You sure?" Quentin asked. Wanda gave him a tired look. "Okay." Quentin summoned twin glyphs to his hands, and two beams of green energy hit Wanda.

 

"Sam, I'll make you an opening." Wanda closed her eyes and breathed in deeply. Wanda brought her hands in front of her, creating a red line of magic before crossing her wrists to create two glyphs that she slammed into the ground. The Seven Suns of Cinnibus shot forward, obeying her wordless commands. She then stretched her hands skyward, summoning electrical energy to them. The twin shards of lightning of the Bolts of Balthakk shot outward, hitting the soldier. Scarlet Witch pounded the top of her right fist into her left palm before making a large arm circle with both arms, opening her hands along the way as glyphs formed.The glowing green Coruscating Crystals of Cyndriarr shot from the ground and smashed into her opponent. She then raised her right fist, spun her left hand palm up, and brought her fist crashing down onto her open palm, summoning the Sinking Sands of Set to drag the Hydra soldier into the ground. With a gesture, the Images of Ikonn emerged from Wanda, summoning the Crimson Chains of Cyttorak. Erik reached out, pulling the armour open and giving Sam a chance to dive-bomb into the soldier's chest before taking to the sky once more. Wanda released her spells and fell to the ground. Erik walked over, gently lifting her head from the dirt.

 

"Son of a shit," Wanda mumbled. Erik chuckled slightly.

 

"This is Vision! We don't have Red Skull, it's Mystique!" Vision's voice came over the comms. Sam's eyes widened as a portal opened in front of him. He vanished through, the portal closing behind him.

 


 

Atlantic Ocean

The Raft

 


 

Eleven Hydra operatives made their way down a hallway, guns at the ready.

 

"Winter Soldier is still in play," One of the soldiers remarked.

 

"Doesn't matter. We need to find where they're keeping Blonksy's blood," Another replied.

 

"Cut the chatter, you two." A third soldier ordered. The lights then cut out, and a faint purple glow shaped like a left arm could be seen at the other end of the hallway.

 

"Shit." The first soldier gulped. The arm charged forward, and the scream of the first soldier could be heard followed by the cracking of bones against vibranium. The second saw the glowing arm come for his throat, snapping his neck. Two gunshots rang out, followed by two gasps for air. A knife whizzed through the air, and a fifth body crumpled. The lights finally came back on, and the sixth Hydra soldier saw Bucky land a powerful kick into his chest, cracking his ribs and sending him back into a support pillar, snapping his back. The seventh and eighth raised their guns to attack the Winter Soldier, but he picked up one of the dead soldiers as a shield before letting out a pulse of energy into them, blasting them both back. Bucky grabbed a gun from the floor, shooting both of them in the chest before hitting the ninth in the heart. Two soldiers remained, one looking slightly more confident than the other. The tenth soldier took a daring shot at Barnes, who caught the projectile and tossed it aside. Bucky protected his head from the hail of gunfire with his arm as he pulled his rifle from his back, mowing down the last two soldiers. He heard the sound of growing that came with Pym Particles next to him and was just barely able to catch a punch from Black Ant. He twisted the robot's fist, flipping it over his shoulder. Black Ant shrank, and Bucky began to shoot at it. The Winter Soldier growled before tossing his pistol aside, having lost his target.

 

"This is Vision! We don't have Red Skull, it's Mystique!" Vision's voice came over the comms.

 

"Blonsky," Bucky muttered to himself. "Red Skull's blood at Lehigh. Zola's missing. A fake Red Skull." His eyes widened and he activated his comms. "All Avengers, this is Barnes! Lehnsherr isn't the target, Sam is!"

 

"We know." Quentin replied, his voice shaking slightly. "They got him."

Notes:

You know, this was almost the first chapter as of late that wasn't posted at some ungodly hour like five in the morning, but then I forgot to write anything. However, this time it was four in the morning, so I suppose progress is being made.

Chapter 19: The Perfect Soldier

Summary:

Red Skull's plans for Sam are revealed. The Avengers discover the political fallout of Sam's capture.

Chapter Text

Captain's Log

Entry 019:

 

Well. I've been in Hydra's hands for a week or so. Red Skull hasn't come by to taunt me yet, which seems like it would be Nazi 101. That Zola-bot took some of my blood, though. Probably some genetic purity bullshit or something. That, and they took my shield away.

 

My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America.

 


 

Earth-62338

Atlantic Ocean

The Raft

July 13th, 2021

 


 

Bucky stood in front of Yelena with his arms crossed.

 

"You can stand there looking intimidating all you want. I'm not telling you shit."

 

"I know." Bucky smiled slightly. "But that archer friend of yours next door? She doesn't know that. So when I walk in there, she'll talk. I'm just wasting a bit of time with you." He walked towards the door.

 

"Sorry about your boyfriend, Barnes," Yelena taunted. Bucky's face shifted for a moment, but then returned to a stoic look as he stepped out of the cell. He walked into the cell next to Yelena's, where Ashley Olivier was sitting. Her neck muscles tightened slightly at the sight of the dreaded Winter Soldier. Bucky grabbed a stool and sat down across from her, pulling a handgun from his hip and cocking it. He fired five shots behind Longbow's head before ejecting the cartridge, one bullet remaining. He slammed both the gun adn the cartridge into the table without breaking eye contact. He began taking the gun apart, still not looking away from Longbow. A moment passed and Bucky leaned back slightly. He then closed his eyes, reassembling the gun. The Winter Soldier then set the gun and the nearly empty cartridge back down on the table. He got up and faced the wall of the cell in silence. Longbow made a choice, grabbing the gun and loading it before pointing it at her chin and pulling the trigger. The expected gunshot never went off, and Bucky smiled slightly. He spun on his heel, revealing a piece was still in his hand. She dropped the gun in shock and looked up at Bucky in fear as he looked down upon her.

 

"So you do know something." Bucky spoke for the first time since entering the cell almost five minutes prior. "And you know Red Skull is going to kill you if you say anything. Now, I've got two options for you. You can tell me now, and you'll stay safely locked up here in the Raft." He leaned down and grabbed the gun, opening it up again and slipping the missing piece back inside. "Or I can get my friend Wanda in here. Do you know what one of her powers is? She can look inside your mind. She can see your biggest fears. She doesn't like doing it, but she'll make an exception. And when she's done? We dump you on the streets of New York for Red Skull." Bucky pointed the gun at his vibranium hand and fired, causing the last bullet to crumple. "Your choice."

 

"He wants Captain America under his control." Olivier spat out quickly. "I don't know how, but he said that he wants to find out how to make a good soldier into a good servant." Bucky stood up, turning away. He holstered the gun and stepped out of the cell.

 

"This is Barnes, come in," Bucky spoke into the comms.

 

"You got something?" Wanda asked.

 

"Something," Bucky replied. A portal opened in front of him, and he stepped through.

 


 

New York

 


 

"No, Mr. Secretary, we can assure you..." Sharon spoke into her phone. She looked at it with an irritated expression. "The son of a bitch hung up on me."

 

"They're going ahead with it?" Quentin asked.

 

"Yeah." Sharon nodded. "Congress fast-tracked a vote. President's expected to sign the bill this morning." She put her phone away. "Congress is picking a new Captain America."

 

"This is a mistake." Harley held out his hand, projecting a hologram from his watch. "The top candidate is apparently one John Walker."

 

"Son of a bitch." Rhodey groaned.

 

"You know him?" Wanda asked.

 

"Unfortunately." Rhodey nodded. "I was on the jury for his court-martial."

 

"I'm afraid to ask, but what did he do?" Wanda asked.

 

"He deliberately endangered civilians in order to complete his mission. He got a not-guilty because he got the job that the brass thought was impossible done." Rhodey rolled his eyes. "Aqiria was a shitshow, so people got away with everything if they got anything good out of it." Rhodey stared off into space for a second. "Plus, you know, he's just an asshole. A little racist, a little sexist, got annoyed when DADT got repealed."

 

"Can I just say that a little of any of those is too much of any of those?" Peter piped up. Rhodey snapped his finger and pointed at him in agreement.

 

"Anything from Steve and Nat?" Lila asked Wanda.

 

"According to Carol, the two of them are busy helping the Wakandan gods with something," Wanda explained.

 

"This is Barnes, come in," Bucky spoke into the comms.

 

"You got something?" Wanda asked.

 

"Something," Bucky replied. Wanda waved her hand, opening a portal. He stepped through, crossing his arms. "Red Skull wants Sam under his control."

 

"With the Soul Stone's power..." Harley's eyes widened. Bucky looked at Wanda's neck, noting the absence of the Eye of Agamotto.

 

"Where's the Eye?" He asked.

 

"With Vision. He's taking a quick trip into another timeline. He has a theory he wants to test," Wanda explained.

 


 

Earth-73786

New Jersey

Camp Lehigh

June 21st, 1943

 


 

"The serum amplifies everything that is inside. So, good becomes great. Bad becomes worse." Abraham Erskine paused. "This is why you were chosen. Because a strong man, who has known power all his life, will lose respect for that power. But a weak man knows the value of strength, and knows compassion."

 

"Thanks. I think." Steve Rogers, still small and scrawny, smiled slightly. Erskine motioned to a pair of glass cups, and Steve picked them up. Erskine began to pour some schnapps into them.

 

"Whatever happens tomorrow, you must promise me one thing. That you will stay who you are." Erskine took one glass from Steve. "Not a perfect soldier, but a good man."

 

"To the little guys." Steve held up his glass. The two clicked them together and Steve made a move to drink.

 

"No. No. Wait. Wait. What I am doing? No. You have a procedure tomorrow. No fluids." Erskine took the glass from Steve and poured it into his own glass.

 

"All right. We'll drink it after." Steve chuckled.

 

"No. I don't have procedure tomorrow. Drink it after? Drink it now." Erskine drank it quickly before rising. He gave Steve a pat on the shoulder before picking up the bottle of schnapps and leaving. Erskine was greeted outside by a disguised Vision holding an umbrella.

 

"Excuse me, Doctor Erskine?" Vision asked.

 

"Yes, that is me." Erskine nodded slowly. "And you are?"

 

"Victor Maximoff." Vision gave a fake name.

 

"Maximoff." Erskine paused. "That is... Latverian, I believe?"

 

"It's my wife's. I was born without a last name, so she was kind enough to give me hers." Vision smiled.

 

"Very nice." Erskine smiled back. "What can I do for you, Mr. Maximoff?"

 

"I need to have a chat with you about Project Rebirth." Vision motioned to a nearby building. He entered, followed by Erskine. Erskine closed the door.

 

"What is your query, Mr. Maximoff?" Erskine asked.

 

"It's less a query and more a theory." Vision spun on his heel. A flash of red emanated from his head as he shed his disguise, revealing the umbrella in his hand was actually Thunderstrike. He set it down on a table. "My real name is Vision, and I believe that like myself, you are not human. At least not anymore."

 

"You would be correct, Vision." Abraham chuckled. "I'm... Different. At a genetic level." Erskine smiled slightly. "I can detect the intentions of those around me."

 

"You're a mutant. And an empath." Vision smiled slightly. "That's the secret to your serum. That's why, in the past eighty years, no one has been able to truly recreate it." Erskine touched Thunderstrike out of curiosity, the mace shifting as his fingers touched the handle. "It's how it judges good and bad, how it makes good into great and bad into worse."

 

"Eighty years, hmm?" Erskine smiled.

 

"Indeed. When and where I come from, I'm what is known as an Avenger. We serve to protect the world from everything from robots to aliens to ancient mutants to Hydra once more." Vision paused for a moment. "Then one day we failed. A being known as Thanos came and claimed six relics known as Infinity Stones. The Tesseract in Red Skull's hands is one of them. Thanos tore the sixth stone, the Mind Stone, from my head. He then snapped his fingers and erased half of all life in the universe. The universe wasn't finished with him yet. It chose us, it chose me, to use the Reality Stone to make things right." Vison paused. "Steve Rogers led us. He was deemed worthy of the power of the gods, as one with the heart, mind, and soul of a good leader and a good man." Erskine smiled at Steve's name.

 

"He didn't forget."

 

"Never." Vision shook his head. "When the fight was over, he passed down his shield to another good man. Sam Wilson. I have come to ask a favour." The Reality Stone flashed, and a needle appeared in Vision's hand.

 

"Of course." Erskine smiled. Vision slipped the needle into Erskine's forearm, drawing his blood. The Eye of Agamotto opened, and Vision gave a nod.

 

"Thank you, Abraham."

 

"No. Thank you, Vision." Erskine nodded. Vision vanished with a flash of the Time and Reality Stones.

 


 

Earth-62338

The Mediterranean Sea

July 13th, 2021

 


 

Red Skull and Zola stood together, examining a vial of Sam's blood. Zola injected the Super Soldier Serum he had recreated into it, and the two mixed and merged. The Serum reacted violently to Sam's blood, and the two began to tear each other apart. Zola gave an annoyed growl.

 

"It is as I believed, Doctor." Red Skull folded his arms behind his back. "There's a missing piece of the puzzle."

 

"But what, Herr Schmidt?" Zola asked.

 

"Good becomes great. Bad becomes worse." Red Skull recalled. "But how does the Serum know? Why has no Serum since Erskine's truly succeeded? What made him so special?" Red Skull pondered it for a moment. "He knew, not the Serum." Red Skull chuckled. "It was never the Serum that determined bad and good, but Erskine. Or rather, his blood. The vital missing piece is an empath's touch." Red Skull chuckled. "My Captain America will need the Serum, but that means that we will need an empath." Red Skull turned away from the console. "I will begin locating one, one good enough to match Erskine."

 


 

New York

 


 

Bucky, Sharon, Rhodey, Quentin, Harley, Peter, and Lila watched a television, monitoring a ceremony.

 

"A football game?" Lila asked. "They're revealing the new Captain America... At a football game."

 

"It's a Patriots game, so..." Rhodey sighed. "Yeah, no, I've got nothing."

 

"Ladies and gentlemen, I give you... John Walker! Your new Captain America!" The announcer declared. Cheerleaders and the mascot began to dance as fireworks went off, John Walker emerging. He wore a suit similar to Steve and Sam's, but darker. There was much more blue on it, with three red stipes on the chest. The emblem on the chest was offset onto the right of the suit, and both it and the symbol on the helmet were a hybrid of a star and the letter A.

 

"No way in hell they made that suit in a couple days. They've had this in their back pocket." Harley noted. Walker gave waves and nods to the cheering crowd, smiling widely at the attention.

 

"What a prick." Quentin rolled his eyes.

 

"Gentlemen, ladies, have no fear. Captain America is here!" He pulled Sam's shield from his back and held it high. The crowd went wild as the Avengers gave disgusted looks. "I'll be mopping up Hydra, no worries and no problems. Maybe I'll call in the other Avengers, maybe I'll handle it myself. I mean, how hard is it going to be to get rid of a bunch of old German goose-steppers?" The crowd laughed.

 

"Oh, when you said kind of racist, I wasn't really expecting 'All Germans are Nazis' racist." Peter turned to Rhodey. War Machine sighed and shook his head.

 

"Now if you'll excuse me, you've got a game to play, and I've got bad guys to fight." Walker grabbed a football and hurled it at one of the players, who caught it. Walker gave the crowd a salute before turning around and leaving the stadium, the cheers and applause continuing as he left. Sharon turned off the television. The Avengers sat in silence for a bit.

 

"We have to get Sam back, and fast. That's guy's going to fuck up the good name of Captain America, and worse, probably fuck up just being a superhero." Sharon leaned her head back with a groan.

Chapter 20: The United States' Agent

Summary:

John Walker gives his first showing as Captain America. The Avengers devise a plan to save Sam from Hydra.

Chapter Text

Captain's Log

Entry 020:

 

They replaced me. Doesn't seem like it was hard for them, either. It's been a week and he already has a suit. This wasn't a reaction. They wanted to do this since I took up the shield. That guy at my... Ceremony, I guess it was... He's not alone. Lots of people can't look at me and see Captain America.

 

My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America.

 


 

Earth-62338

New York

July 14th, 2021

 


 

Vision, Quentin, and Sharon stood in the war room of the Avengers Facility, looking over a map.

 

"So who are these guys again? We didn't have them on my world." Quentin crossed his arms.

 

"They go by 'The Wrecking Crew'. The Wrecker, Dirk Garthwaite. Thunderball, Eliot Franklin. Piledriver, Brian Philip Calusky. And Bulldozer, Henry Camp. I gave them their powers by accident when trying to arrest them the first time the showed up. They all have superhuman strength, stamina and durability. Garthwaite holds a crowbar enchanted by the powers of Thunderstrike, giving it similar abilities to Thunderstrike in that it can return to his hand when thrown. Franklin is a genius level intellect and wields a small wrecking ball as though it were a plastic toy. Calusky has a punching force equal to that of the War Machine armour and can create kinetic shockwaves. Bulldozer's head, upper torso, and limbs have been enhanced to the point where they are as strong and durable as the Hulk," Vision explained.

 

"Alright, so why aren't we there?" Quentin asked.

 

"Simply put, as their powers are mystical in original, they have an increased resistance to mystical attacks." Vision looked at the map.

 

"You could just... Wave your hand an put them into the floor, couldn't you?" Sharon asked.

 

"My attention is currently incredibly divided between locating Sam and trying to be the first to recreate a century old serum. Using the Reality Stone in that manner takes undivided concentration, lest I vaporize the Serum or entomb Sam in a wall." Vision smiled slightly.

 

"Point taken." Sharon nodded.

 

"Vision, we have a problem." FRIDAY spoke up. Vision sighed slightly. "John Walker is on the scene."

 

"Well, shit," Quentin groaned.

 

"Barnes, you heard that, right?" Sharon asked.

 

"Yep. I see him. He's about to ruin a whole ass ambush here," Bucky sighed.

 


 

Vancouver

 


 

The second Hawkeye looked down her bow, breathing deeply.

 

"You have the target, Lila?" Harley asked.

 

"Yep. ETA on the big gun?" Hawkeye asked.

 

"Two minutes," Iron Man replied.

 

"Then let's keep them busy. All Avengers in position?" The Winter Soldier asked.

 

"Hey, uh, problem?" Spider-Man spoke up, looking up at the sky. A Quinjet's backdoor opened, and John Walker lept out. The Wrecking Crew turned, looking at him.

 

"Vision, we have a problem." FRIDAY spoke up. Vision sighed slightly. "John Walker is on the scene."

 

"Well, shit," Quentin groaned.

 

"Barnes, you heard that, right?" Sharon asked.

 

"Yep. I see him. He's about to ruin a whole ass ambush here," The Winter Soldier sighed.

 

"Son of a bitch. Avengers, let's do this!" War Machine yelled. Walker charged forward, smashing the Wrecker in the face with Sam's shield. The Wrecker growled, swinging his crowbar at the would-be Captain America, who blocked the attack.

 

"I can bring you in on a stretcher or in a body bag. I don't give a shit." Walker taunted. Hawkeye fired her arrow at Piledriver, who caught it. The arrow exploded in his hand, causing the villain to growl in annoyance. He smashed his hands together, launching a shockwave of energy at the building Hawkeye was taking cover in. She jumped out, and Spider-Man swung by in order to catch her. War Machine slammed into the ground and unloaded a salvo of gunfire into Bulldozer, who slowly walked through the hail of bullets. He attempted to punch War Machine, but was grabbed by one of Spider-Man's webs and pulled away into a wall.

 

"Iron Man?" War Machine asked.

 

"ETA one minute!" Iron Man replied, flying down. He grabbed the Wrecker, dragging him into the air. He dragged the supervillain along the ground before hurling him forward at the Winter Soldier, who held out his arm. The Wrecker slammed into the vibranium limb, charging it with kinetic energy. Hawkeye fired an arrow over Walker's head at Thunderball, who reached out to catch it. The world slowed and a streak of blue entered the area. Quicksilver grabbed the arrow and changed its flight path slightly, moving it away from Thunderball's grip. The arrow struck Thunderball in the head, shocking him.

 

"Nice shot," Quicksilver said as he ran over to Hawkeye. The two fist-bumped before sidestepping the Wrecker's crowbar. A satellite flew overhead, and Harley smiled behind his facemask.

 

"Hulkbuster 3.0 at the ready, Mr. Keener," FRIDAY said. The Hulkbuster deployed from the satellite, wrapping around Harley's armour. The suit was similar in design to the second Hulkbuster, but it had gauntlets, feet, and a helmet like that of the first, and all the parts that were gold on the first two versions were coloured silver like Harley's own armour.

 

"Let's get this party started." The Hulkbuster touched down and pounded its fists together.

 


 

New York

 


 

Erik and Wanda walked through the hallways of the X-Mansion, getting various looks of awe and disbelief from the students.

 

"It's Magneto!" One whispered to her friend.

 

"Yeah, cool. He's not new. That's Scarlet Witch!" The friend replied. A slight grin formed on Wanda's face.

 

"Erik, Miss Maximoff." Charles Xavier's voice cut into the room as he wheeled himself in.

 

"Charles." Erik smiled at his old friend.

 

"Professor Xavier." Wanda nodded.

 

"Students, get to class. I need to have a chat with our guests." Charles Xavier rolled over to them. "It's good that you're both here. In my attempts to locate Red Skull, I believe I have discovered a plot." Erik and Wanda both raised their left brows, a gesture that piqued Charles' interest, though he didn't comment on it. "Hydra is targeting a Mutant, a young man named Manuel de la Rocha."

 

"Let me guess, he's an empath." Wanda interrupted.

 

"Indeed."

 

"Then Red Skull is indeed looking to recreate the Serum." Erik stroked his chin. Charles touched his temple.

 

"That is Mister de la Rocha's location." Charles explained. Wanda waved her hand, opening a portal. The Cloak of Levitation flew through, followed by Erik's armour. The Cloak wrapped around Wanda, transforming her attire into her suit. The portal closed and she opened a second. The two jumped through the portal, with it closing behind them.

 


 

Madrid

 


 

Scarlet Witch and Magneto emerged in front of a house in Madrid, Spain. Hydra operatives waited for them, aiming their weapons at the sorceress and the mutant.

 

"Get Manuel, I'll cover you." Scarlet Witch ordered. Erik nodded, rushing towards the house.

 

"What, are you going to 'boom boom whoosh' at us?" One of the Hydra operatives taunted. Scarlet Witch smiled slightly.

 

"Funny. Really funny." Scarlet Witch's face hardened. "But no." She made a circle above her head with her left hand, drew her right hand back, and then brought them together in front of her. "By Ra's Radiant Rays!" A glowing ball of light appeared above her, letting loose pulses of energy into the operatives around her. She stretched her hands skyward, summoning electrical energy to them. "By the Bolts of Balthakk!" Two bolts of lightning flew from each of Scarlet Witch's hands, impacting another pair of Hydra's operatives. She turned her head slightly before conjuring the Shield of the Seraphim behind her as Black Ant grew and smashed its hand into the shield. She then summoned the Crimson Chains of Cyttorak in order to bind the Hydra android, but it shrunk out of the way. Scarlet Witch snarled, opening the Eye of Agamotto. She twisted her hand, rewinding time just enough so that Black Ant was caught in the grip of the Chains. She then closed the Eye, the change to time taking hold. "By Excalibur's Exalted Edge!" Scarlet Witch put her fists together in front of him, drawing a magical blade from an invisible scabbard and bisecting Black Ant diagonally. Scarlet Witch then cleaved the android's head off, picking it up. "I know you're watching. You want the empath, you come get him yourself." A portal then opened, the sound of applause echoing from it.

 

"Bravo, Fräulein. Bravo." Red Skull mocked.

 

"Frau." Scarlet Witch dropped Black Ant's head.

 

"You're unmarried." Red Skull rolled his eyes.

 

"Only because I can't legally marry him yet." Scarlet Witch began to circle Red Skull.

 

"You won't get the chance, I'm afraid. You face the man who kept watch over an Infinity Stone for ages untold." Red Skull pointed his blade at his opponent.

 

"And I've held all six." The Sorceress Supreme grinned slightly "Including the one you couldn't." Red Skull let out a roar as he charged forward, swinging his sword at Scarlet Witch's throat. 

 


 

Vancouver

 


 

The Winter Soldier dropkicked Piledriver in the face, causing him to stumble backwards. Spider-Man caught his foot with a web, spinning him around above his head twice before releasing Piledriver towards the Hulkbuster. Iron Man was about to grab the villain out of the air when Sam's shield soared between them. Piledriver made impact, altering his flight path and causing him to crash into the ground. Walker called the shield back to his arm and smirked, clearly proud of himself. Iron Man let out a barely audible sigh as he grabbed Thunderball's mace in order to stop it from hitting Hawkeye. War Machine aimed his arm at Bulldozer, firing a set of micromissiles at him. The missiles exploded, sending Bulldozer flying back. Time slowed again, and Quicksilver grabbed Bulldozer's leg, pulling on it. Iron Man launched a clamp from the Hulkbuster's shoulder, which wrapped around Bulldozer's arms. The Wrecker ducked under a punch from the Winter Solder and hurled his crowbar at Hawkeye, who spun under the strike before firing a flashbang arrow at Thunderball. The arrow exploded in his face, disorienting the villain for a moment. Walker charged forward at the Wrecker, laying into him with a series of brutal strikes. He smashed Captain America's shield into his opponent so hard that it did something that Steve Rogers had only done once before in an attempt to kill the Mad Titan.

 

John Walker made his opponent bleed.

 

Walker tackled the Wrecker, smashing the shield into his opponent's face repeatedly. The Wrecker's jaw began to fracture under the repeated strikes from the vibranium disk until his jawbone finally let out a sickening crack. Walker was about to crush his head again when Bucky grabbed the shield, wrenching it from his grip.

 

"The hell's your issue, soldier?" Walker demanded.

 

"You were about to kill him." The Winter Soldier growled.

 

"So? Criminal scum deserves it." Walker got in Bucky's face. Iron Man stepped out of the Hulkbuster and pointed his repulsors at the United State's agent.

 

"Stand down, now." Iron Man ordered.

 

"You want to hold that shield and be a hero? That's not how we do it." The Winter Soldier snarled.

 

"It's how I do it. And I don't give a shit how you do it. And like it or not, I'm Captain America. Your little winged boy toy's gone, so you better get used to that." Walker taunted. Bucky's expression remained stone-cold, though his flesh and blood hand was hovering slightly closer to his sidearm than it had been a moment ago. Walker grabbed Sam's shield from Bucky's hand, putting it on his back and walking away. Rhodey's mask retracted, and he gave Bucky a sympathetic look.

 

"We'll get Sam back. He's still alive." Rhodey put his hand on Bucky's shoulder.

 

"I know. But if that happens again, John Walker won't be." Bucky's expression darkened slightly.

 


 

New York

 


 

Vision smiled slightly to himself.

 

"Excellent. Wanda has engaged Red Skull in Spain." Vision folded his arms.

 

"We're going to go help her, right?" Quentin asked.

 

"Negative. This is all according to plan." Vision shook his head.

 

"How is this according to plan? He'll kick her ass like he kicked mine." Quentin threw his hands up. Sharon gave him a look. "What?"

 

"Quentin, you're good, but you're no Wanda Maximoff." Sharon chuckled. "She's a top level powerhouse on the level of Captain Marvel, Hulk, and fucking Thor."

 

"Point taken." Quentin sighed. "What's the plan?"

 

"Simple. Wanda is going to exhaust Red Skull's powers. When that happens, Heimdall will give us a location on Sam. You will portal the Avengers in, we take on Hydra, and we get Sam this." The Reality Stone flashed, and two vials appeared in Vision's hand.

 

"You did it." Sharon's face lit up.

 

"I did." Vision smiled. "One dose will give Sam powers for a few hours. The second will make them permanent. We need the choice associated with the second to be his or the Serum could backfire catastrophically."

 

"I like this plan." Quentin smiled.

Chapter 21: A Good Man

Summary:

Wanda and Red Skull duel as the Avengers prepare to rescue Sam.

Chapter Text

Captain's Log

Entry 021:

 

Red Skull vanished, Zola's pissed, the base is on lockdown. Sounds like the Avengers found me. Good. I'm ready to take the fight to Hydra.

 

My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America.

 


 

Earth-62338

Spain

July 14th, 2021

 


 

Scarlet Witch ducked beneath Red Skull's swing, rolling away from him. She brought her hands in front of her, creating a red line of magic before crossing her wrists to create two glyphs that she slammed into the ground. "By the Seven Suns of Cinnibus!" Seven balls of fire shot out, surrounding Red Skull. The impact vapourized Red Skull's cloak, revealing dark gunmetal armour beneath.

 

"You know your precious Tesseract? The one that cast you aside the moment you held it for a second? I held it for almost an hour. It spoke to me." Scarlet Witch grinned. Red Skull swung his blade down at her. "By Excalibur's Exalted Edge!" She put her fists together in front of her, drawing a magical blade from an invisible scabbard. The Sorceress Supreme brought the blade up, blocking the strike from the leader of Hydra.

 

"You lie!" Red Skull snarled.

 

"Maybe. But how would you know?" Scarlet Witch smiled. She pounded the top of her right fist into her left palm before making a large arm circle with both arms, opening her hands along the way as glyphs formed. "By the Coruscating Crystals of Cyndriarr!" Glowing green crystals shot from the ground and made impact on Red Skull's face. He raised his sword, letting loose a blast of orange energy. Scarlet Witch conjured the Shield of the Seraphim, but was blown back. She opened the Eye of Agamotto, twisting her hand as a green circle formed around her left wrist. "Let's try this again." Scarlet Witch touched down and summoned the Ruby Rings of Raggadorr.

 

"You cannot win, Fräulein." Red Skull taunted. He conjured the Crimson Chains of Cyttorak, wrapping them around Scarlet Witch and pulling her into his sword. The blade pierced her body, and she let out a little gasp of pain. Red Skull chuckled, turning towards the house.

 

"Let's try this again." Scarlet Witch touched down and summoned the Ruby Rings of Raggadorr. Red Skull turned back to her and snarled. He ran at her, but Scarlet Witch snapped her fingers at her side before bringing them up into an x in front of her chest. A glyph formed, and Scarlet Witch pushed it outward with both hands. "By the Stony Stare of Sekhmet!" A massive stone shot from the ground, which Red Skull buried his blade into. Scarlet Witch grinned, opening a portal beneath her opponent's feet. She opened a second above the first, and Red Skull began to fall infinitely. He reached out and grabbed Scarlet Witch by the ankle, dragging her along. When Red Skull emerged from the top portal, he closed it with a wave, cleaving the Sorceress Supreme in half.

 

"Mystics." Red Skull rolled his eyes.

 

"Let's try this again." Scarlet Witch touched down and summoned the Ruby Rings of Raggadorr. Red Skull snarled. Scarlet Witch brought her hands to her sides, channeling lightning into her hands as she tilted her head upward, a howl emanating from her body as she slammed her foot into the ground. "By Raiju's Roaring Rage!" A wolf of pure lightning charged forward and began to tear into Red Skull's armour. His eyes flashed orange and a pulse of energy blasted apart the wolf. She then clashed the inside of her wrists together before bringing her hands behind her back, pulling two rods of blue energy from it before slamming the tops of her fists together, creating a blue spear. "By the Sapphire Spear of Storaan!" The Sorceress Supreme hurled the spear at Red Skull, who grabbed it from the air and hurled it back at her at a higher speed, impaling her and pinning her into a nearby wall. Red Skull walked over, swinging his blade at her neck in an attempt to get the Avenger to stay dead, but her body and the spear both vanished from existence.

 

"WHAT?" Red Skull screeched.

 

"Let's try this again." Scarlet Witch touched down and summoned the Ruby Rings of Raggadorr.

 

"Enough!" Red Skull demanded, swinging his blade at Scarlet Witch. She simply blocked the attacks with the Ruby Rings of Raggadorr, seemingly with much less effort than before.

 

"Wanda, darling, we have Sam's location." Vision's voice came through the comms.

 

"Good." Scarlet Witch smiled. She grinned at Red Skull. "Thank you for your cooperation." She snapped her fingers, the loop breaking as she stepped into a portal. Red Skull drove his sword into the ground in rage. He grabbed Black Ant's head from the ground.

 

"Zola, prepare to unleash our weapon," Red Skull ordered.

 


 

The Mediterranean Sea

 


 

Vision, Mysterio, and Agent 13 jumped out of a portal, emerging within Red Skull's base deep within the Mediterranean Sea. A large squadron of Hydra operatives aimed their weapons at the three, and Mysterio summoned the Ruby Rings of Raggadorr while Agent 13 raised her shield. Vision raised a finger to stop them, handing a vial to Mysterio.

 

"My name is Vision. I am the fiancé of Wanda Maximoff, Oathbrother of Thor, and the current wielder of the Reality Stone. There is no timeline where you lot are victorious against myself or my fellow Avengers, and as such I offer you a chance to surrender." The Hydra operatives looked at each other before powering up their weapons. "Never let it be said I didn't give you all a chance." Vision held out his hand.

 

"Vision?" Agent 13 asked.

 

"Get Sam. I'll handle this," Vision ordered. Agent 13 and Mysterio nodded, making a break for the door. Thunderstrike tore through the wall and flew into Vision's hand. He twirled the mace twice, smashing one of the operatives in the chest. He threw Thunderstrike sideways, grabbing another Hydra operative by the jaw. The Reality Stone flashed, and the operative's body turned to stone. Vision then hurled them at one of their comrades, knocking both away before grabbing his mace and summoning a flash of lightning that blasted two more operatives.

 

"Ah, the Android Avenger. You are the culmination of work I once took part in." Zola's voice cut through the air. "Or you were until recently." A large green and yellow android stomped into the room. "Meet the Adaptoid. It's made of Unstable Molecules created by Doctor Reed Richards in his attempt to find an alternative to the Manhattan Project. He, of course, failed and the bombs went forward. And now you face that might." The Adaptoid stretched its arm, grabbing Vision by the face. Vision hurled Thunderstrike forward, but the Adaptoid's body sprouted hardened stone-like armour to absorb the impact. Vision focused his energy in order to phase out of the Adaptoid's grip, calling Thunderstrike back and unleashing a bolt of lightning. The Adaptoid countered with a plume of fire from its chest. Vision slipped away from the stalemate by flying sideways in order to punch the Adaptoid in the head, but it deployed a forcefield to block the strike.

 

"Hmm." Vision's tone was intrigued, yet mildly annoyed.

 


 

Sam sat in his cell, listening to the noises of fighting outside.

 

"By the Coruscating Crystals of Cyndriarr!" Mysterio yelled, though his voice was muffled by the cell wall. Glowing green crystals flew through the wall, giving him and Agent 13 a way in.

 

"Cap!" Agent 13 yelled, giving him a hug.

 

"Good to see you two. Anyone else here?" Sam asked.

 

"Vision's buying us a bit of time." Mysterio's helmet retracted as he pulled the vial Vision gave him out of his suit.

 

"Is that..." Sam began.

 

"Temporary, but yeah. The Super Soldier Serum. Vision cracked it." Mysterio nodded.

 

"You sure it'll work?" Sam asked.

 

"It's Vision." Mysterio gave Sam a look.

 

"I meant are you sure it'll work on me?" Sam rephrased his question.

 

"Sam, you're a great guy. It'll work." Agent 13 smiled. Sam gave Mysterio a nod, and the sorcerer put the needle in Sam's neck. The Serum entered Sam's bloodstream, and he groaned for a moment. Sam's eyes closed as voices began to swirl in his head.

 

"So, good becomes great. Bad becomes worse. This is why you were chosen." Abraham Erskine's words echoed.

 

"You're a good man, Sam," Steve Rogers reassured him.

 

"Because a strong man, who has known power all his life, will lose respect for that power. But a weak man knows the value of strength, and knows compassion," Erskine continued.

 

"I'll follow that preacher's kid to hell and back," Monica Rambeau said.

 

"Not a perfect soldier, but a good man," Erskine finished. Captain America groaned as Mysterio helped him to his feet.

 

"You don't look too different, Cap. Maybe a bit more muscle-y?" Agent 13 tilted her head.

 

"You're used to scrawny Steve Rogers." Mysterio nudged her shoulder. Agent 13 pulled her shield from her arm and offered it to Captain America.

 

"Just until we get yours back." She smiled.

 

"What happened to mine?" Captain America asked.

 

"Long story." Mysterio sighed. Hydra operatives began to make their way into the room. Agent 13 handed Captain America a silver star.

 

"Harley and Vision made you a new suit," She explained. Captain America pressed the star to his chest, his new suit forming around him. It resembled the suit that Steve had worn during the first Ultron Offensive, but with red gauntlets and boots, white lower legs, and red wings emblazoned behind the star. His wings stretched out, coloured entirely red and white now.

 

"Avengers, let's kick some ass." Captain America smiled, hurling Agent 13's shield forward. It impacted one soldier's face, flying back to Captain America's hand. He caught it out of the air, twirled around, and sent it flying forward again before hitting another operative with a butterfly kick.

 

"Cap, move!" Mysterio ordered. He slammed his right fist into his chest and brought his left hand above his right shoulder before casting both hands forward. "By the Icy Ire of Ikthalon!" Captain America activated his wings and flew out of the way as wave of mystical spikes of ice shot from Mysterio's hands, impaling a pair of series of operatives. Agent 13 rushed forward, dropkicking a Hydra operative into Captain America's path, who shield-bashed the goon into the ground. The wall next to the group shattered as Vision flew through it, followed by the Adaptoid.

 

"Captain." Vision nodded, calling Thunderstrike to his hand.

 

"Vision." Captain America smiled.

 

"Bastard won't go down." Vision rolled his eyes. The Adaptoid shot a plume of fire at Mysterio, who conjured the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth, transforming the fire into a flock of butterflies. He then summoned the Crimson Chains of Cyttorak to bind the Adaptoid for a moment. "I'm having issues manipulating it with the Reality Stone as it is made of a material I do not understand."

 

"So we take it down the old fashioned way." Captain America smiled, raising Agent 13's shield.

 

"Indeed." Vision nodded, readying Thunderstrike.

 


 

New York

 


 

"Radiation levels are spiking." Harley shook his head. Wanda's eyes lit up with her powers out of anger before she calmed down.

 

"Red Skull's powers are slowly coming back. I need to figure out a way to sever his connection to the Soul Stone entirely," Wanda sighed. "I need to call Adam."

 

"Alright, while you're doing that, I've got something on the move that can get them out," Rhodey piped up.

 

"Care to share?" Pietro asked.

 

"I called in some help from on high," Rhodey explained.

 

"Asgardians?" Harley asked. "Bifrost won't work. Heimdall can't lock on."

 

"Who said anything about the Bifrost?" Rhodey smiled.

Chapter 22: Cutting Off Heads

Summary:

Sam, Vision, Sharon, and Quentin face off against the Adaptoid as Wanda and Bucky work to sever Red Skull's connection to the Soul Stone.

Notes:

Well, this took longer than expected. My apologies, 2020 was a long year.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Captain's Log

Entry 022:

 

This Serum is... Insane. I can only imagine what Steve was feeling when he got it. It's like I'm filled with a desire to do good, to fight for what's right.

 

My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America.

 


 

Earth-62338

The Mediterranean Sea

July 14th, 2021

 


 

Captain America ducked under a plume of flames from the Adaptoid, slamming Agent 13's shield into its knee. Vision tossed Thunderstrike into the Adaptoid's chest, knocking it backwards for a moment before catching his mace and spinning it to deflect another plume of fire. 

 

"By Excalibur's Exalted Edge!" Mysterio yelled as he put his fists together in front of him, drawing a magical blade from an invisible scabbard. He swung at the Adaptoid, which created a forcefield to absorb the hit. "My husband would be pissed if he saw me fighting another one of these."

 

"How do we take it down?" Captain America asked.

 

"Well, we had Captain Britain and the Thing on my world. Here, we'll just have to settle for Captain America and the might of Thor," Mysterio explained. He brought his hands in front of him, creating a red line of magic before crossing his wrists to create two glyphs that he slammed into the ground. "By the Seven Suns of Cinnibus!" Seven balls of fire shot out, surrounding the Adaptoid before exploding. Vision held Thunderstrike out to Captain America, who gripped the handle. Vision then reduced his density so he could still hold the mace and allow Captain America to bypass the enchantment. Captain America tossed Agent 13's shield back to her, took to the air, and flew away before looping back around. He charged, smashing Thunderstrike into the Adaptoid before letting go. Vision twirled his weapon around, charging it with lightning before smashing it into the Adaptoid's head. The Adaptoid flew backwards, and the Avengers readied themselves for another round. The War Machine Mark 4 then smashed through a nearby wall, and the gathered heroes turned to look at it.

 

"Rhodes?" Captain America asked.

 

"No, no." Loki's voice came from within. The armour opened, and he stepped out, a remade Tesseract in hand. "Heimdall and I threw this together with some dark magic. Shall we?"

 

"Indeed." Vision nodded. The Tesseract flashed, and the Avengers vanished.

 


 

Space

 


 

Wanda and Adam sat together, the Soul Stone in Adam's hand. Bucky stood nearby, arms crossed.

 

"Essentially, Red Skull's continued connection to the Soul Stone is due to his refusal to let go of his power. He'll need to have it removed by force," Adam explained.

 

"How do we do that?" Wanda asked.

 

"You will need to venture into the Soul Stone to face off against him. At the same time, someone will have to fight him from the outside." Adam looked at Bucky. "Take the sword from him, and Wanda can sever the connection."

 

"Makes sense." Bucky nodded. "Where is he?"

 

"Washington, DC." Adam waved his hand, opening a portal. Bucky stepped through, the portal closing behind him. Adam then held out the Soul Stone to Wanda.

 

"Into the unknown." Wanda touched the Infinity Stone before vanishing in a flash of orange light.

 


 

Washington, DC

 


 

Two soldiers stood guard outside of the White House.

 

"So," One of the guards said. "That new Captain America."

 

"Walker, yeah." The other guard nodded.

 

"Not a fan." The first guard shook his head.

 

"Yeah, he's no Sam Wilson or Steve Rogers." The second guard agreed. They heard a loud roar, raising their weapons to defend themselves. Abomination smashed down into the ground, rising with a grin. He grabbed the two guards and threw them into the air before smashing through the gate.

 


 

A Secret Service agent ran into the Oval Office, where President Álvaro was seated. John Walker stood near her, suited up with Sam's shield on his back.

 

"Madame President, the Abomination just broke through the gate." 

 

"Call the Avengers." The President ordered. The agent nodded, pulling out his phone. Walker took his helmet from his belt and slipped it on.

 

"I'll handle it, Madame President." Walker gave the Secret Service agent a pat on the shoulder. Something then smashed through the window and tackled him. Walker rose, seeing a robot in front of him that resembled a mix of the War Machine Mark I and Justin Hammer's drones, but painted green and yellow. "What the fuck are you?"

 

"Iron Cross, kill him." The voice of Red Skull cut into the room. The robot deployed a blade from its arm and swung at Walker, who blocked the strike with Sam's shield. President Álvaro and her Secret Service agents turned, seeing Red Skull. The three Secret Service agents guarding her opened fire on the leader of Hydra, but he rushed forward with blinding speed and slashed their necks. Red Skull returned his sword to his hip and stood tall again. Walker threw Sam's shield at Red Skull, but he caught it and rolled his eyes. "Remove the pretender from my sight." Iron Cross grabbed Walker by the neck and dragged him from the Oval Office through the window it had flown into. Red Skull chuckled as he looked at Captain America's trusted shield.

 

"Have you ever considered the possibility of America's defeat in the World Wars? What if Britain had bowed to the might of Wilhelm or the unrelenting war of Hitler?" Red Skull slipped his arm into Sam's shield. "A sun rising on a glorious Reich. What would you have done if I had killed Steve Rogers in 1945? How would your world have changed when Hydra destroyed cities around the world? You can ask Quentin Beck, for he comes from a world like that. I doubt he has much good to say about it." Red Skull smiled. "The Tesseract allowed Hydra to create weapons that could level cities with a single bomb. We failed in that attempt, but you... You didn't. The people of Japan will never forget the days that their skies burned. Reed Richards tried to stop the bombs, but America decided to do as Hydra had tried to. A show of force, a display of power." Red Skull placed Sam's shield on the President's desk. "Without Captain America and his mighty shield, your people had no symbol of power anymore. So you made one." Red Skull walked over to a table where three busts sat. One was of Winston Churchill, the second of Martin Luther King Jr., and the third of Steve Rogers. "Ellis picked this bust of Captain Rogers for this office before the Captain was discovered in the ice, did he not?" Red Skull picked it up. "Have you considered adding another to this collection? Perhaps one of a hero you admire? Bruce Banner? He did save the universe at the cost of his own life." Red Skull put the bust down. "You will not have the chance to replace it, of course." Red Skull drew his sword, but kept his back to the President. A portal opened, and the Winter Soldier emerged. He grabbed Sam's shield and threw it at Red Skull, hitting him in the head. "Sergeant Barnes." The shield flew back to the Winter Soldier's hand, and he slid his right arm into the straps. "And Wanda Maximoff..."

 

"I'm your bigger problem." The Winter Soldier stepped into a fighting stance.

 

"I doubt that very much." Red Skull grinned, swinging his sword at the Winter Soldier.

 


 

The Soul Realm

 


 

Wanda emerged within the Soul Realm's recreation of Hydra's Swiss Alps headquarters in 1945.

 

"Arrogance may not be a uniquely American trait, but I must say you do it better than anyone. But there are limits to what even you can do, Captain. Or did Erskine tell you otherwise?" Red Skull taunted Steve Rogers.

 

"He told me you were insane," Steve replied.

 

"Ah. He resented my genius and tried to deny me what was rightfully mine. But he gave you everything. So, what made you so special?" Red Skull demanded.

 

"Nothin’. I’m just a kid from Brooklyn." Steve smiled. Red Skull drew his pistol and shot Steve Rogers in the head, killing the first Captain America. Wanda looked around, watching the room shift and revert.

 

"Arrogance may not be a uniquely American trait, but I must say you do it better than anyone. But there are limits to what even you can do, Captain. Or did Erskine tell you otherwise?" Red Skull taunted Steve Rogers. Wanda stepped forward, and Red Skull looked up. Steve Rogers disappeared. "Ah, Fräulein," Red Skull sighed. "You invade my inner sanctum with your... Unclean blood."

 

"Unclean?" Wanda asked.

 

"You are not human. Besides that, the blood in your veins would have marked you for the Solution." Red Skull smiled fondly at the memory. Wanda tilted her head in curiousity. "Oh, did you not see the number on your father's arm? 24005." Wanda's eyes widened. "Yes, your parents are not who you believed them to be." Red Skull laughed. "Erik Lehnsherr, Magneto, is your father." Wanda's eyes narrowed. "You believe I may be lying. You could reach inside my head and find out."

 

"I don't care. Not right now. And I'm not getting any deeper into your head." Scarlet Witch attempted to summon the Ruby Rings of Raggadorr, but the magic wouldn't listen.

 

"No magicks here, Fräulein." Red Skull grinned. He pointed to the Eye of Agamotto around her neck. "And no Infinity Stone either. The Soul Stone will not allow it." Scarlet Witch's mouth twitched into a slight grin as she channeled her own powers into her hands.

 

"Fine by me." Scarlet Witch fired a blast at Red Skull.

 


 

New York

 


 

Sam, Sharon, Quentin, Vision, Loki, and the War Machine armour emerged from the portal created by the Tesseract, which promptly disintegrated with its job complete. Rhodey, Harley, Peter, Lila, Pietro, and Erik turned to face the group.

 

"Where's Bucky?" Sam looked around.

 

"Good to see you too, Cap," Harley quipped. Sam gave him a look. "He's with Wanda. They're working on severing Red Skull's connection to the Soul Stone."

 

"Do we know where Skull is?" Sam asked.

 

"Working on it," Peter replied.

 

"Erik, thanks for sticking around." Sam shook Erik's hand. Erik turned his arm, showing Sam the number emblazoned on it.

 

"I have waited seventy-something years for a chance to bring about justice for my people, for my parents." Erik sighed sadly. "And this will be justice."

 

"Team, we've got our location." Harley piped up. "Hydra's attacking DC. They've got Abomination, some sort of robot rip-off of War Machine, and who knows how many other operatives there. And Red Skull's on location. Bucky's fighting him now from the looks of it."

 

"Well then. I suppose we should get you lot there." Loki chuckled.

 

"I can't portal. Soul Stone interference," Quentin explained.

 

"Since you know where you're going, Heimdall can get you there." Loki shrugged.

 

"That'll do." Sam nodded.

 

"I'll fly there. I need to give the Hulkbuster a minute to calibrate again." Harley explained. He then tapped a set of three buttons on his watch before banging his wrists together, armour beginning to form around him from his wrists and shoes. He then stepped out of the compound and took to the skies. Quentin then opened a portal, the soft afternoon glimmer of New Asgard shining through the gateway. 

 

"Shall we?" Quentin asked.

 

"Avengers, let's cut off Hydra's head." Sam smiled.

Notes:

Alright, we are almost done with this story. There's around two or three chapters left, credits, and the standard bonus features. Hopefully the commentary for this takes less time to write than the one for Phalanx.

Chapter 23: Sam Wilson, Captain America

Summary:

Captain America and the Avengers take the battle to Hydra.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Captain's Log

Entry 023:

 

It's finally time to cut off Hydra's head. We're finishing the fight that Steve started, and we're finishing it right. No Space Stone escape to Vormir this time.

 

My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America.

 


 

Earth-62338

Washington, DC

July 14th, 2021

 


 

The Winter Soldier ducked under Red Skull's sword, slamming Sam's shield into his gut. The Winter Soldier then shoulder bashed the leader of Hydra with the shield before jumping into the air and dropkicking him. He then grabbed Red Skull by the neck with his vibranium arm and hurled him across the Oval Office, throwing Sam's shield at his head. Red Skull got up and swung his sword at the Winter Soldier's head, but he dodged out of the way and charged his fist with electricity. He crashed the edge of the shield against the leader of Hydra's shoulder, striking him the chest with a butterfly kick, and then unleashing an electrically charged uppercut. Red Skull twirled his blade around, jumping into the air and slashing at the Winter Soldier. The Assassin Avenger parried the strike with his vibranium arm before hitting Red Skull with an haymaker with the shield on his right arm. Red Skull jumped back, channeling his energy into a blast at the Winter Soldier. His eyes widened as he ducked behind Sam's shield, bracing against the impact. Red Skull charged forward, pulling the shield way and grabbing the Winter Soldier by the neck.

 

"Желание. Ржавый. Семнадцать. Рассвет. Печь. Девять. Добросердечный. Возвращение на Родину. Один. Товарный вагон." Red Skull said the trigger words for the Winter Soldier, who smiled at him.

 

"Not this time." The Winter Soldier's voice was filled with both pride and relief. He pushed Red Skull off of him and slammed Sam's shield into the leader of Hydra's chest.

 


 

People screamed in fear as cars soared through the air. Abomination roared with joy, reveling in the destruction he was causing.

 

"No Hulk, no one to challenge me?" Abomination laughed. He stomped on a tank that had been deployed to defend the White House from his attack, lifting it up. He felt numerous repulsor blasts hit him in the back, causing him to drop the tank and turn. He saw Iron Man hovering in front of him, still in his standard suit.

 

"Have you no respect for public infrastructure?" Iron Man demanded. "God, it's like all supervillains hate taxpayers." Abomination grabbed a road sign and hurled it at Iron Man, attempting to skewer him. Iron Man caught and evaluated the sign. "No respect for the public at all." He jetted forward, smashing the sign into Abomination's face. "So what's with you taking orders from Hydra?"

 

"I'm not. They just gave me a chance to smash some shit." Abomination laughed. He jumped up and grabbed Iron Man, smashing him into the ground. He then lifted the Reforged Avenger by the neck and grinned. The Bifrost slammed down, and Abomination growled. Captain America, Agent 13, War Machine, Spider-Man, Mysterio, Hawkeye, Quicksilver, and Magneto emerged, and Abomination dropped Iron Man.

 

"Cap, we'll deal with this shitshow. Go help your boyfriend." War Machine gave Captain America a nudge on the shoulder. Captain America nodded, deploying his wings and flying towards the White House. Abomination roared at the gathered Avengers and was about to charge when he head metal clanking behind him. Abomination turned, seeing the Hulkbuster assemble.

 

"Finally. A fight!" Abomination roared. The team looked up, seeing Iron Cross dragging John Walker through the air. War Machine and Mysterio flew up, giving chase to the robot. Black Ant grew to a larger size in the distance, smashing a car. Quicksilver put a hand behind both Hawkeye and Magneto's heads, running towards the android.

 

"Oh, God." Spider-Man looked to his left. The same man with with copper gauntlets that had assassinated Jean-Paul Beaubier dove at Agent 13 and Spider-Man, who dodged out of the way. Abomination lunged at the Hulkbuster, which threw a punch to block the attack. The Hulkbuster then threw out a left hook followed by a right before shoulder bashing Abomination.

 

"FRIDAY, have some parts at the ready." Iron Man ordered.

 


 

The Soul Realm

 


 

Scarlet Witch unleased a blast of energy at Red Skull, who moved his head away from the attack.

 

"You're out of practice, Fräulein," Red Skull mocked. "You have neglected the gifts of your blood in favour of the teachings of the ancients." He threw a punch at Scarlet Witch, who created a shield to defend herself.

 

"Shut up." Scarlet Witch lifted Red Skull into the air before slamming him down. Red Skull clubbed Scarlet Witch in the jaw with his gun, sending her to the ground. She spat blood out of her mouth, and Red Skull put his boot on her back.

 

"I had a chance to kill your father when he was young. Instead, I allowed Werner Reinhardt to study him. Reinhardt cast my gift aside in favour of an Inhuman woman, and the boy escaped. He survived the war, and he eventually found a woman named Magda. They lived in various regions around the world, with Lehnsherr leaving his wife to work alongside the X-Men. Then, in 1996, Magda became pregnant with twins. A boy and a girl. On the day you were born, your father revealed his powers to those around him. They reacted in fear. They drove him away. Your mother died in childbirth, alone. You and your brother were given the the Maximoffs to live a normal life. But you would never be normal, never be human. You were always mutants, it just didn't show until the time was right for you." Red Skull chuckled. "Have you ever wondered why Stark's bomb didn't kill you and your brother? It's because you told it not to. Probability is at your command. The Mind Stone merely unlocked the rest of your mutant abilities."

 

"No more m..." Scarlet Witch groaned.

 

"No more what?" Red Skull leaned down.

 

"No more monologues." Scarlet Witch growled. She unleashed a blast of energy from her body that sent Red Skull hurtling back before floating into the air. The room around them began to crack and wither with each beat of Scarlet Witch's heart. "No more powers!" She unloaded blast after blast into Red Skull. "No more Infinity Stones!" Red Skull fell to his knees as Scarlet Witch's powers began to overload him. "No! More! Hydra!" Red Skull's mindscape then began to fracture further.

 

"If you shatter this reality, you will have no way to escape!" Red Skull pled. Scarlet Witch smiled.

 

"Reality was the only word I needed to hear." Scarlet Witch closed her eyes. "Visz, I'm here. Come get me." Vision's hand reached through a crack in the air and grabbed Scarlet Witch, dragging her out of Red Skull's fantasy world.

 


 

Washington, DC

 


 

Red Skull's eyes flashed orange for a moment as he felt the powers of the Soul Stone being pulled away from him. A violent orange explosion rocked the Oval Office, sending both the Winter Soldier and Red Skull flying. Red Skull got up first and charged at the Winter Soldier with his sword, but the Assassin Avenger grabbed the blade with his vibranium arm and punched it with Sam's shield.

 

"NO!" Red Skull yelled as he watched the blade snap, the Soul Stone's magic no longer protecting it. The Winter Soldier kicked outward, knocking Red Skull off balance. Captain America flew through the shattered window, landing and retracting his wings. The Winter Soldier smiled, walking over to him.

 

"I like the new suit." The Winter Soldier offered Captain America the shield that was rightfully his.

 

"Thanks." Captain America slipped it onto his arm. Red Skull rose, seeing Captain America and the Winter Soldier standing together.

 

"Sam Wilson, Captain America." Red Skull frowned. "I see that Vision has done what no other has done. He managed to recreate Erskine's formula. What is the secret, Captain? What makes you so special?"

 

"I'm not." Captain America raised his shield. He then lept forward, punching Red Skull in the gut.

 


 

New York

 


 

Wanda groaned, opening her eyes slowly. She felt a gentle metallic hand touch her head, looking over to see Vision with her.

 

"Hello, darling." Vision smiled.

 

"Did I do it?" Wanda asked.

 

"You did. You can rest easy." Vision gave her a kiss on her forehead.

 

"Shouldn't you be helping the other Avengers?" Wanda asked.

 

"I am. I am ensuring that certain codes remain secret. Zola is a technological terror. Red Skull may not have the Soul Stone's powers, but there are other ways to level the planet." Vision took her hands in his. "Besides. I am where I need to be." The two sat in silence for a moment.

 

"Visz?" Wanda piped up.

 

"Yes, darling?" Vision asked.

 

"Erik Lehnsherr is my father." Wanda looked up at him. "I'm a mutant."

 

"And that changes nothing about you." Vision reassured her. "Love is for souls, not bodies."

 


 

Washington, DC

 


 

War Machine and Mysterio soared about Washington, DC, hot on the trail of Iron Cross.

 

"Jocasta, life signals?" War Machine asked.

 

"None, Colonel Rhodes. It is a robot." Jocasta replied.

 

"Great. We don't have to worry about keeping a prisoner alive." War Machine smiled behind his mask. Iron Cross fired a repulsor shot at the Avengers, which they quickly dodged. "I really want to shoot this thing right now, but Congress would be pissed if I let John Walker hit the pavement at terminal velocity."

 

"How good's your aim?" Mysterio asked. War Machine didn't answer, simply turning his head to look at the sorcerer. "Right. Listen, I've got an idea. Keep that thing busy for a minute. I know a spell for this."

 

"Sure." War Machine engaged secondary boosters as Mysterio twirled away. War Machine trained his back cannon on Iron Cross, firing a single warning shot to get its attention. Iron Cross turned, firing a blast of repulsor energy at the Full Metal Avenger. He dodged to the left, returning fire with his own repulsors, though he took care to miss.

 

"WATCH IT, SOLDIER!" Walker screamed, his voice loud enough to even be heard over the wind.

 

"If this were Steve or Sam, they'd be telling me to shoot the robot, their survival be damned." War Machine rolled his eyes. "Beck, you ready? I'm getting tired of missing."

 

"Two seconds!" Mysterio flew up, a glassy aura around his hand. He punched Walker in the face, causing him to disappear into the Mirror Dimension. War Machine then fired a series of missiles at Iron Cross, which were promptly scrambled by flares from the robot. Mysterio put his hands in front of him, spun his left hand anticlockwise, and ended the motion with a clap. "By the Storms of Shu!" A blast of wind shot out, knocking the robot off course for a moment. Mysterio waved his hand, opening a portal that War Machine flew through. He emerged on the other side, where he punched Iron Cross in the head. The Full Metal Avenger wrapped his arm around the robot's neck and began to fly downward.

 

"Jocasta, arm a torpedo!" War Machine dove into the Potomac River, dragging Iron Cross with him. He grabbed the robot's legs, firing close range repulsor shots at the robot to stop it from flying away. War Machine then shot backwards before aiming his right leg at Iron Cross. A small torpedo shot out of a tube on his leg, jetting towards Iron Cross before exploding. War Machine then shot out of the water, finding Mysterio waiting on the riverbank.

 

"Nice work." Mysterio retracted his helmet.

 

"Thanks." War Machine did the same. "You should probably get Walker out of wherever you left him."

 

"Right, I forgot." Mysterio waved his hand. A gateway to the Mirror Dimension opened a few metres off the ground, and Walker fell out and onto his stomach.

 

"This is War Machine. We got the robot. And saved Walker." War Machine spoke into the comms.

 

"Iron Man reporting in. Abomination is down," Iron Man replied.

 


 

The Hulkbuster caught a punch from Abomination and lifted him into the air and smashing him into the street.

 

"Let's hope Loki's modification works." Iron Man said to himself. The Hulkbuster's left arm shifted, a cannon transforming from the nanites contained within it. A blast of concentrated cold energy was shot from it, causing Abomination to roar in pain as ice formed on his skin. Abomination thrashed out, grabbing the offending arm and tearing it off. The Hulkbuster stepped back for a moment as Abomination got up, clubbing the massive mech with its own detached limb. "FRIDAY, wrap!" The detached arm melted into nanites before engulfing Abomination's arms and chest. "Blow it." The nanites contained in the arm exploded, sending Abomination flying.

 

"Mr. Keener, would you like the whip or the railgun preset?"

 

"Let's nae nae this son of a bitch." Iron Man grinned behind his faceplate. The Hulkbuster raised its remaining arm and fired a series of taser blasts and repulsor shots from it in an attempt to slow the angered Abomination. The new left arm flew from a point in low orbit, deploying onto the Hulkbuster. An electrical whip like that of Whiplash shot out of the arm, and the Hulkbuster cracked it in the air. Abomination broke through the barrage and lept at the Hulkbuster, which lashed its whip out at him. Abomination roared in pain as the whip wrapped around his neck, bringing the gamma radiation enhanced super soldier to his knees. The Hulkbuster's shoulders shifted, deploying sonic cannons that it fired at Abomination. The back of the Hulkbuster then opened, with Iron Man flying out. He landed, slamming his hands together to create a massive cannon. Iron Man unleased a blast into Abomination, overloading his healing factor and finally knocking the beast down. The Hulkbuster released its whip and charged its repulsors, blasting Abomination in the face as Iron Man took to the air. He spun around and flexed his left hand, causing the nanites to shift down into a chain ending in a flail. He jetted back down, smashing the mace into Abomination's head. Abomination groaned, falling to the ground.

 

"This is War Machine. We got the robot. And saved Walker." War Machine spoke into the comms.

 

"Iron Man reporting in. Abomination is down." Iron Man lifted into the air, scanning the area.

 

"Quicksilver, we got the big one," Quicksilver added.

 


 

Quicksilver, Magneto, and Hawkeye arrived on the scene of Black Ant's rampage.

 

"Got anything for us?" Hawkeye looked at Magneto.

 

"It's made of non-metallic materials. I'm not getting anything here." Magneto shook his head.

 

"Then we'll do it the old-fashioned way." Hawkeye drew an arrow from her quiver and fired it at Black Ant. Black Ant turned as the arrow exploded in its face. It hurled the car it was holding down at the group, which Magneto stopped inches away from his face. The man inside wore a baseball cap and a suit jacket and had a horrified look on his face. He scrambled out of the car and rushed past the group of heroes.

 

"I bet Stan ever dealt with this." The man mumbled. Magneto then disassembled the car, turning it into large pieces of debris that he then hurled at Black Ant. Quicksilver picked up Hawkeye, running along the debris before tossing her into the air. The arrow struck Black Ant in the optic, cracking it as it unloaded a torrent of electricity into the android. Black Ant shrunk down to dodge the debris Magneto had launched, but was met with a punch from Quicksilver. Hawkeye fired an arrow to her left as Quicksilver dragged Black Ant into its path. Hawkeye pulled another arrow from her quiver, looking down at it.

 

"Hope you're ready." Hawkeye smiled. She let the arrow loose, which Black Ant caught effortlessly. "Now!" The arrow shook for a moment before transforming into Loki, who plunged a dagger similar in appearance to Iron Man's suit into the android's neck. The dagger dissolved into the android's frame, and Magneto smiled.

 

"All yours!" Loki yelled. Magneto nodded, pulling the android towards him. Black Ant began breaking apart thanks to the metal nanites giving Magneto control over its frame. Soon all that was left intact was the head, which landed in Magneto's hand with a thud. It crumpled, with Magneto tossing it to Quicksilver.

 

"This is War Machine. We got the robot. And saved Walker." War Machine spoke into the comms.

 

"Iron Man reporting in. Abomination is down," Iron Man replied.

 

"Quicksilver, we got the big one," Quicksilver added.

 

"Agent 13. We got Copperhead, which is apparently his name," Agent 13 finished.

 


 

Agent 13 spun around in the air, kicking her opponent in the face. She then jumped up, kneeing him in the side of the chin before kicking off of his chest and landing with cat-like grace. The man tried to club her with his metal coated fist, but Spider-Man caught it with a web.

 

"Those copper polished osmium? Kind of impractical," Spider-Man quipped.

 

"Silence! I'll kill you!" The man yelled.

 

"Calm down, Dunham." Spider-Man chuckled.

 

"Fool! I am Copperhead, glorious warrior of the forces of Hydra! You will fall by the wayside as the illustrious Red Skull conquers your great symbol of freedom! With the shield of Captain America in hand, he will forge a new world, a world I shall have a place in!" Spider-Man rushed forward, punching Copperhead twice before doing a backflip to kick him in the chest. Copperhead fired a dart from his gauntlet, but Spider-Man deployed the Iron Spider's legs to deflect the shot. He rushed forward, swiping out with one of the legs to cut Copperhead's cheek. Copperhead snarled, ducking under another strike before grabbing Agent 13 by the neck. "Ah, ah!" Spider-Man stopped in his tracks. "Before you make any sudden movements, my gauntlets have a poisoned spike in the palm. If you fail to meet my demands, she dies."

 

"What do you want?" Spider-Man asked.

 

"Get out of your suit. The world is watching, Spider-Man, and I want them to see who's under the mask." Copperhead grinned.

 

"Don't do it, kid!" Agent 13 yelled.

 

"Are you willing to be the hero? Trade your secret for her life?" Copperhead chuckled.

 

"Karen." Spider-Man spoke in a flat tone. "Disengage Iron Spider." Copperhead grinned as the Iron Spider began melting away. He dropped Agent 13 and turned to the crowd.

 

"Look to your precious Spider-Man, people! Look how easily his resolve crumbles! Your so called heroes lack the willingness to trade lives, even when needed! They are weak, and that is why they will lose!"

 

"Yeah, about that?" Spider-Man asked. Copperhead turned, seeing Spider-Man rushing towards him with a thwip, dressed in his standard suit which he had been wearing beneath the Iron Spider. Spider-Man kicked him in the face before firing a web at his feet. Agent 13 charged forward, switching her shield into blade form. Spider-Man grabbed Copperhead's right arm and held it out as Agent 13 jumped into the air and put all her weight into a single strike, cleaving through the Hydra goon's arm. Copperhead screamed in pain as he fell to the ground, Spider-Man flicking a web onto his stump arm to stop the bleeding.

 

"Nice work, kid." Agent 13 smiled.

 

"This is War Machine. We got the robot. And saved Walker." War Machine spoke into the comms.

 

"Iron Man reporting in. Abomination is down," Iron Man replied.

 

"Quicksilver, we got the big one," Quicksilver added.

 

"Agent 13. We got Copperhead, which is apparently his name," Agent 13 finished.

 

"Cap, got any updates?" War Machine asked.

 


 

Captain America threw his shield at Red Skull, which bounced off of the Hydra leader's face and into the Winter Soldier's hand. He slammed the edge of the shield into Red Skull's legs before hurling it back to Captain America. He caught the disk, smacking it against the eponymous skull and jumping into the air in order to put all his weight into a strike. Captain America threw his shield again, striking Red Skull in the chest. The shield bounced towards the Winter Soldier, who caught it before instantly throwing it again, this time hitting Red Skull's jaw before returning to its rightful wielder.

 

"This is War Machine. We got the robot. And saved Walker." War Machine spoke into the comms. Captain America dove into Red Skull's back with his boots, kicking him towards the Winter Soldier, who stuck his metal arm out to absorb kinetic energy from the impact. Red Skull got up and charged at Captain America.

 

"Iron Man reporting in. Abomination is down," Iron Man replied. Captain America launched two punches with his right arm followed by an uppercut from the shield on his left arm. Red Skull swung at the Winter Soldier in a rage.

 

"Quicksilver, we got the big one," Quicksilver added. The Winter Soldier ducked under Red Skull's punch, unloading a pulse of kinetic energy into the Hydra leader's gut. Red Skull flew back towards Captain America, who bashing him with his shield before leaping back.

 

"Agent 13. We got Copperhead, which is apparently his name," Agent 13 finished. Captain America tapped three buttons on his wrist, the nanites of his suit creating a rocket booster on his arm. He then propelled his arm forward with this booster, smashing his shield into Red Skull's face.

 

"Hail... Hydra," Red Skull groaned. He hit the ground, and Captain America and the Winter Soldier stood victorious.

 

"Cap, got any updates?" War Machine asked. Captain America and the Winter Soldier looked at each other, smiling. Sam took his helmet off, dropping it on the ground. Sam pulled Bucky in for a kiss. "Cap, can you hear me?"

 

"Red Skull is down," Sam Wilson, Captain America, declared.

Notes:

One chapter left after this, credits, and then commentary.

Chapter 24: Victory Day

Summary:

The Avengers celebrate their victory over Red Skull and Hydra.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Captain's Log

Entry 024:

 

We took most of Hydra down and got Red Skull in custody. Zola's still out there, so the war isn't over, but we have their true head. We didn't just cut if off either. We cut it off and then locked it inside a little box.

 

My name is Sam Wilson, and I'm Captain America.

 


 

Earth-62338

Upstate New York

July 19th, 2021

 


 

"We have Damage Control on the scene in the Mediterranean. However, they can only do so much. We don't know what technology Hydra had in their base, and I'd rather like to find out." Vision explained to a screen. "We could use your help, Your Highness."

 

"Of course, Vision. Wakanda will be happy to help." T'Challa nodded.

 

"Thank you." Vision nodded. "Once again. It feels I only come to you for aid and not to simply talk." T'Challa chuckled.

 

"I am happy to do all I can for as long as I can." T'Challa smiled before turning off the video feed. Vision sat in silence for a moment before picking up a small velvet box. Sam walked into Vision's lab, right hand in his pocket and shield on his left arm. Vision looked over, hiding the velvet box quickly.

 

"Captain. How is the Serum comedown?" Vision asked, rising from his seat.

 

"Hell of a thing." Sam chuckled. "Thanks for not giving me the second shot. I'm not ready to be a full-time super soldier."

 

"It has to be a choice, Captain. That is the nature of the Serum. It cannot be forced upon you." Vision picked up a vibranium box. "For the sake of security, the permanent dose is coded to the biometrics of two Avengers: You, and another one I will be keeping to myself for the time being. We face too many psychics for me to share it currently." Vision set the box down.

 

"Checks out. Smart play." Sam nodded. He looked at a vial of blood. "Mine?"

 

"Wanda's," Vision explained. "She wanted me to look into a few things. Namely, whether there was a biological side-effect to her stepping into Red Skull's fantasy world."

 

"Mmm." Sam hummed. "We're still having that party tonight, right?"

 

"Indeed. Did something come up?" Vision asked.

 

"No. I've got a date with Bucky, but we'll be back by tonight." Sam smiled.

 

"Have a good afternoon, Captain." Vision nodded. Sam walked out of the lab and towards the hanger. He pulled his suit's star from his pocket and pressed it to his chest. He bounced his shield against the ground as the suit formed, grabbing it and slipping it onto his jetpack before taking to the sky.

 


 

Brooklyn

 


 

Bucky sat alone outside of a cafe, coffee in hand. His phone rang, and he picked it up.

 

"Barnes," Bucky said before sipping his drink.

 

"Buck, it's Sam. Where's this place?" Sam asked. Bucky heard the blast of jets above him as Sam soared past.

 

"Behind you." Bucky smiled. Sam twirled around in the air, coming to a landing outside the cafe. He walked over to Bucky, pulling his shield off of his back as his suit retracted into his chest star.

 

"Thanks." Sam grinned. He set his shield down next to the table and sat down. Bucky offered him a cup. Sam took it, taking a drink. "Damn, that's good."

 

"That's the kind of quality that keeps you open through the Great Depression, World War II, the Cold War, and the Snap." Bucky nodded. "Kirby and Lieber's, opened on August 28th, 1917."

 

"Oh, hell. This place is... Over a century old." Sam looked around him. "Wait. You were born in... Oh, shit. It's literally only a couple months younger than you." Bucky smiled. "You remember coming here?"

 

"A couple times." Bucky smiled. "This place was popular with kids my age. Popular for dates." Sam got a dumb grin on his face. "One time, I dragged Steve along on a double date. Joyce, this pretty redhead, and Alice, a gal with dark brown hair." Bucky smiled at the memory. "That was the breakdown with Steve and I for... Our entire childhoods. I always liked the redheads. Joyce, Dolores, Annie, all of them had red hair. Steve was into darker hair. Alice, Geraldine, of course Peggy. Sure, there were a couple blondes here and there for both of us, but we stuck to our tastes pretty strongly." Bucky chuckled. "Weird that we ended up switching. Steve got the redhead, and I'm dating a guy with dark hair."

 

"Funny how the universe works out." Sam smiled.

 

"You know, Steve and I talked. At the Afterparty. Before he gave you the shield. He told me that he was going to give it to you, ask you to be Captain America because you're who the world needed now. A preacher's kid from Louisiana. Captain America is the Dream. Truth, justice, and all that good stuff. You represent that. Steve said he was the Captain America the world wanted, but you're the one the world needs." Bucky paused. "He asked me to keep an eye on you. I told him I'd have a hard time keeping them off of you."

 

"And in true Steve Rogers fashion, he instantly went from inspiring speeches about what the world needs to giving you shit for that." Sam laughed.

 

"He did, yeah." Bucky grinned. "But I'm going to shut up about my best friend and just enjoy spending time with my boyfriend."

 

"Sounds good." Sam grinned back.

 


 

Upstate New York

 


 

The Avengers sat gathered around a table, laughing amongst each other.

 

"And the dude just started monologuing!" Peter threw up his hands. "I know I talk a lot during fights, but that's because I'm socially anxious! Bad guys just don't shut up!"

 

"I remember during the original Ultron Offensive, Ultron made a joke about explaining his evil plan and then didn't before throwing down with Stark." Pietro chuckled.

 

"I don't know who taught him how to monologue, but he wouldn't shut up when I fought him." Carol quipped as she walked in. She wore a black blazer, dark jeans, and a t-shirt with her symbol on underneath.

 

"Guys and gays, Carol Danvers, the dream girl of every lesbian." Sharon joked. Carol grinned, giving Sharon a salute with her right index finger.

 

"I come bearing food from the depths of space. And by the depths of space, I mean from that pizza place in Albany that I shoved into a pocket dimension." Carol's eyes and hands glowed blue, causing a portal to open above the table. A collection of pizza boxes dropped out, and Peter was about to grab some.

 

"Hold on." Vision put up his hand. The Reality Stone flashed for a moment. "I needed to take care of the gamma radiation."

 

"Right, Space Stone." Carol chuckled.

 

"Thanks, Vision. I already got radioactive spider powers, I don't need radioactive pizza powers." Peter laughed nervously.

 

"What's the worst radioactive animal to get bitten by?" Monica asked.

 

"Oh, a panda. They're cute, but I don't know what kind of power you'd get from them," Lila said.

 

"Koala. They're so goddamn useless. They actively eat poison, they're too stupid to eat off of a flat surface, and they really seem like they want to die." Carol shook her head at Lila.

 

"Sunfish. Deadass, full stop."  Harley grabbed a piece of pizza.

 

"Weren't those things classified as plankton for a while?" Sharon asked.

 

"Probably." Harley shrugged.

 

"You're all wrong, it's a shar-pei." Quentin stopped the debate. "All you're getting out of that is a face that looks like a topographical map of Utah."

 

"That is so specific." Pietro piped up.

 

"I knew a guy on my Earth." Quentin scratched his nose.

 

"Who got bitten by a radioactive shar-pei?" Bucky asked, a look of sheer confusion on his face.

 

"It's one of the backstories he claimed," Quentin explained. "Wade was a weird guy." Vision touched the handle of Thunderstrike with his fingertip, the mace shifting for a moment. "Hey, let me try that."

 

"By all means, Quentin." Vision smiled, clearly having wanted this outcome. Quentin stood up to the jeers of the group. Rhodey stared off into the distance for a moment.

 

"I'm pretty sure I've been here already," Rhodey said to himself.

 

"I work with magic all the time. Sometimes you just have to brute force this kind of thing." Quentin explained. He punched his right fist into his left palm, did the inverse, and then punch the air in front of him with both fists. "By the Hands of Hercules!" Gauntlets of golden magic formed around his arms before he grabbed the handle of the mace. He began to pull, grunting. "Come on, you stupid mace!" Lila and Pietro began to laugh as Quentin stepped back, the gauntlets on his arms dissolving. He pointed at Vision. "You did that with a finger. How the hell?"

 

"Quentin, Quentin." Harley stood up. "You're fighting magic with magic. Obviously Thunderstrike is used to that. You need a new angle." Quentin rolled his eyes and sat down. Harley tapped his watch, creating a glove on his left hand. He began to pull, unable to budge the mace.

 

"I have definitely been here before." Rhodey sighed.

 

"Peanut gallery, give me a hand." Harley motioned for Rhodey to come over.

 

"Already had that question answered with the last Iron Man, kid." He chuckled.

 

"Fine." Harley released the mace and retracted the nanotech into his watch. "Captain Marvel, Earth's Mightiest Hero. Care to test you mettle?"

 

"With pleasure." Carol unbuttoned her blazer. "For the ladies." She removed the blazer, revealing the t-shirt was in fact a tank top. She the blazer to Sharon before rubbing her hands together. Lila quietly pulled out her phone and started recording. "You know, I lifted Mjolnir in a couple dreams. I think I might have been worthy on Earth-842-" Carol looked at Lila. "Are you Snapchatting this?"

 

"My friend Kamala's a big fan of you. She, uh, writes fanfiction." Lila explained.

 

"Ah, a world I know well." Carol grinned.

 

"Mom wrote a Star Wars AU back in the day where Leia was the Jedi." Monica piped up. Carol's eyes widened for a moment.

 

"Please tell me I can read this somewhere." Harley asked.

 

"I'll send you the PDF." Monica nodded.

 

"Traitor." Carol smiled. "Anyways." Carol grabbed the handle of Thunderstrike, trying to pull it. She lifted into the air slightly, attempting to drag it up. "No dice." Carol landed, walking over to Sharon. "Jacket me."

 

"No dice." Sharon echoed, tossing the blazer at Wanda, who sent it through a portal. Carol rolled her eyes, sitting down. Pietro stood up, and Wanda laughed.

 

"Pietro. You already tried with Mjolnir." She smiled. Pietro rolled his eyes.

 

"You think you can do better, baby sister?" Pietro taunted.

 

"I'm older than you now." Wanda grinned smugly. "And no no. I'm alright."

 

"Come on, Wanda." Carol nudged her shoulder.

 

"Darling, for me?" Vision asked. Wanda sighed, standing up. She reached out to grab Thunderstrike's handle, but the mace soared back to Vision's hand. Wanda reached down, grabbing the ring that Vision had hidden beneath it. She turned, finding him on a knee. "Will you-"

 

"Yes." Wanda grabbed Vision's face and kissed him. "I will." The Avengers stood up with cheers, gathering around to congratulate the two. Sam quietly made an exit to the balcony of the complex. He looked out into the sky with a small sigh.

 

"Hey, Cap." Harley's voice came from behind Sam. He turned, seeing the second Iron Man.

 

"Harley." Sam nodded.

 

"Penny for your thoughts, or do you charge a nickel for your time?" Harley smiled.

 

"Funny." Sam chuckled.

 

"You know, I joined the Avengers to fight beside Captain America," Harley explained.

 

"Sorry you didn't get who you expected." Sam nodded slowly.

 

"I did." Harley crossed his arms, leaning against the door. "I didn't become an Avenger until after Tony's wedding. He asked me to take up the mantle. We'd been talking about it since just before the Infinity War, but it didn't happen until after Thanos-842667 was gone." Harley paused. "The only Captain America I've worked with is you. You're the one I signed up for. Everyone in there? Some of the most powerful beings on the planet who were chosen to wield the power of Infinity Stones, the Sorceress Supreme, a wizard from another universe, the best goddamn soldiers and spies in the world. And outside of the room, you've got a baker dozen of gods and a man possessed by a demon who you can call up for help. What do we have in common?" Harley pointed at Sam. "You. We follow you. Carol's team took time out of hunting Ultron to help guard your ceremony. Quentin and Peter are fine stepping away from their neighbourhood heroics because you asked them to. Lila is living up to her father's legacy because you're letting her." Harley smiled. "All of us, we're following you. No matter who you are."

 

"Thank you." Sam nodded.

 

"So who are you, Sam?" Harley asked.

 

"Sam Wilson. Captain America."

Notes:

Whoo! We're done here. Credits are next, and then the standard bonus features. Hopefully those features don't take months to make.

Chapter 25: Credits

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Anthony Mackie as Sam Wilson/Captain America

Sebastian Stan as Bucky Barnes/The Winter Soldier

Emily VanCamp as Sharon Carter/Agent 13

Don Cheadle as James “Rhodey” Rhodes/War Machine

Paul Bettany as Vision

Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch

Jake Gyllenhaal as Quentin Beck/Mysterio

Tom Holland as Peter Parker/Spider-Man

Ava Russo as Lila Barton/Hawkeye II

Aaron Taylor-Johnson as Pietro Maximoff/Quicksilver

Wyatt Russel as John Walker/Captain America

Daniel Brühl as Helmut Zemo

Daisy Ridley as Laura Kinney/Wolverine

Emilia Clarke as Mystique

Paul Rudd as Scott Lang/Ant-Man

Brie Larson as Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel

Nicole Beharie as Monica Rambeau/Photon

Stephanie Beatriz as President Kamila Álvaro

Clay Aiken as Vice President Jack Ganderton

John Boyega as Anubis

Chloe Bennet as Daisy Johnson/Quake

Gabriel Luna as Robbie Reyes/Ghost Rider

Tom Hiddleston as Loki

Michael Shaw as Corvus Glaive

Carrie Coon as Proxima Midnight

Ewan McGregor as Adam Warlock

Karen Gillan as Nebula

Pom Klementieff as Mantis

Martin Freeman as Everett Ross

Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa/Black Panther

Letitia Wright as Shuri/Black Panther

Lupita Nyong'o as Nakia

Danai Gurira as Okoye

Michael Peña as Luis

Abby Ryder Fortson as Cassie Lang

Florence Pugh as Yelena Belova

Indiana Evans as Ashley Olivier/Longbow

Tómas Lemarquis as Davis Lawfers/Copperhead

Kevin Conroy as Black Ant

Adam Baldwin as Dirk Garthwaite/The Wrecker

T.J. Storm as Eliot Franklin/Thunderball

Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson as Henry Camp/Bulldozer

Andre Tricoteux as Brian Calusky/Piledriver

Emma Stone as Jean Grey/Cerebra

Sam Witwer as Hank McCoy/Beast

Taron Egerton as Scott Summers/Cyclops

Ross Butler as Lance Alvers/Avalanche

David Mazouz as Warren Worthington III/Angel

Dylan O'Brien as Bobby Drake/Iceman

Kevin Feige as Watcher Informant

TM as Pete

KD as Mary

With Daniel Craig as Taskmaster

With Tim Roth as Emil Blonsky/Abomination

With James McAvoy as Charles Xavier/Professor X

With Michael Fassbender as Erik Lehnsherr/Magneto

With David Harewood as Horemheb

With Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow

With Chris Evans as Steve Rogers/The Nomad

With David Kaye as En Sabah Nur/Apocalypse

With Stanley Tucci as Abraham Erskine

With Toby Jones as Arnim Zola

With Ross Marquand as Johann Schmidt/Red Skull

And Hugh Jackman as Logan Howlett/Wolverine

 


 

New York

July 16th, 2021

 


 

Laura stood in a large round room with glowing lights on the walls, suited up and with Charles sitting in his chair next to her. The door to the room opened, and Scott entered. Jean followed behind along with Hank. Warren and a young man with dark brown hair came in last.

 

"What is it, Professor?" Hank asked.

 

"Hank, recent events have revealed that Mutants are in greater need of protection now than ever before. The Avengers can only do so much," Charles explained.

 

"I thought we disbanded the team after what happened at Alkali Lake," Jean spoke up, giving Laura a mildly pointed look.

 

"Jean." Scott put a hand out to his side. Jean looked away from Laura.

 

"I feel it's time we reformed the X-Men." Charles smiled. He tapped a button on his wheelchair, and five suits deployed from the walls. The first was mostly blue with a large yellow 'X' across the chest, onto the shoulders, and across the back, and had a silver visor with a single red eye band. The second was mostly yellow with a band of blue down the chest and up the back along with a blue loincloth. The third was large, mostly yellow with a blue 'X' on each shoulder, and looked like it would only cover the torso, upper arms, and upper legs of whoever wore it. The fourth was mostly blue and had a large yellow 'X' along the chest, shoulders, and down the thighs. The fifth was a sleeveless blue suit with a yellow 'X' on each shin and one along the abdomen and small of the back.

 

"Anything to say, Scott?" Laura asked. He nodded and walked up to the suit with the visor.

 

"To me, my X-Men."

 


 

Written by: Dragonis Prime

Storyboarding by: Dragonis Prime

 

Special Thanks for the characters created by:

Jack Kirby ● Stan Lee ● Gene Colan ● Joe Simon

Ed Brubaker ● Steve Epting ● Craig Kyle ● Christopher Yost

Roy Thomas ● Tony Isabella ● Sal Buscema ● Chris Claremont

Dave Cockrum

 

In Loving Memory of:

Jack Kirby ● Gene Colan ● Stan Lee ● Joe Simon

Dave Cockrum ● Chadwick Boseman

 


 

Earth-96283

New York

May 3, 2020

 


 

A version of Spider-Man swung into an open window, landing in a kitchen. The suit had silver lines resembling webs on its chest, arms and mask, as well as a massive silver spider on the chest. The eyes were also sharper in appearance and were bordered with silver. Spider-Man pulled off his mask, revealing brown hair that was greying slightly on the sides and a beard.

 

“Pete?” A voice cut into the room. A woman with red hair walked into the room, spatula in hand.

 

“Hey, Mary Jane. Sorry I’m late, Did I miss dinner?” Peter smiled.

 

“No, dinner’s not ready yet. You know, Annie was a bit disappointed that Papa didn’t pick her up from school, but then she heard that you were taking down Mysterio and she forgave you.” Mary Jane laughed.

 

“Apparently losing father-daughter time is a problem for Spider-Man.” Peter sighed. He then shot away from Mary Jane, shaking his head in confusion.

 

“Pete? You okay?” Mary Jane asked. Peter looked at her as the air around him began to ripple.

 

“Mary Jane!” Peter yelled as he was sucked into the dimensional rift.

 


 

Tobey Maguire will return as Spider-Man

Notes:

That's right, folks! It's official! Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man will be in Spider-Man: Home Opener!