Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2019-06-15
Updated:
2021-07-23
Words:
104,854
Chapters:
18/?
Comments:
251
Kudos:
334
Bookmarks:
48
Hits:
14,219

Pray for me

Summary:

After the snap, Thanos's interest in Steve hasn't changed. He wants the human. He wants to understand what makes him so special, so he decided he was going to pick up Steve and take him with him. Detail: Steve's opinion about that isn't important.

Notes:

Hi! This idea has been in my head since I watched Avengers: Infinity War, and this month I finally had the guts to write this (mostly because of a writer that I met). You may already know (or will know as soon as you read the first chapter), this is my first fanfic, so please forgive and let me know if you see any spelling erros or grammar erros.

I plan this to be a long fanfic, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to update the chapters. I would like you to leave comments, constructive criticisms, compliments or just your opinion (but please, no hate). I hope you like it!!

Warning: I don't own any of these characters, they all belong to Marvel.

Chapter Text

Chapter 1

(Thanos’ POV)

Thanos was sitting on the grass on the hill, enjoying the beautiful view of the sunset reflecting in the pond at the base of the hill and the trees around the valley, as a place can be as peaceful as the Garden. The smell of flowers and the singing of birds were usually soothing, but today, he had work to do. He rested while he could because soon he had a promise to fulfill, the excitement and interest beginning to run through his veins.

Thanos was recovering in The Garden for some time. He finally felt a sense of accomplishment and peace, now that his life goal had been reached. The universe was finally in balance and he wouldn’t have to watch thousands of planets suffering and being destroyed by overpopulation as well as his planet, Titan.

He stood up and thoughts sadly of what he had sacrificed for this. Gamora, his daughter, who for a long time had illuminated his lonely life, the girl who fought bravely from the time they met and until her death. He would never forget her or how much she meant to him, but her sacrifice was necessary, Thanos thought as she turned and walked towards the center of the clearing, stopping in front of his new home, seeming even more dangerous and powerful, his body was suited in his new armor, and a new gauntlet on his already healed hand.

Thanos looked at his hand with the gauntlet and smiled remembering the little avenger who had come to his way and grabbed that same hand in a useless attempt to stop him. That fragile creature with a soul that contained so much suffering, sadness, loneliness and guilt, but at the same time so pure and brilliant. When the soul stone allowed him to look at the soul of that human, Steve Rogers, he saw his most important memories and so much strength, honor, and justice in a single soul, that dared to face his power even in the face of death, something that fascinated him immensely.

At that moment, Thanos knew he wanted Steve for himself. He couldn't explain why the human made him so interested, but he would find out, after all, he had the rest of his life and all the power of the universe for it. Steve would surely fight just like his daughter Gamora fought, but Thanos always gets what he wants. Tony Stark would be useful again and serve his purpose, he thought as he activated the space stone and opened a portal to Titan. Thanos felt an excitement he hadn't felt for years. That little avenger couldn't stop him before, so he wouldn't be able to do it now and if the other Avengers try to interfere, he would eliminate them like the worms they are. He smiled as he thought of his plan and stepped into the portal-

 

–I'm coming for you, Steve.

 


 

 

(Steve’s POV)

New Avengers Facility, 8:00 pm

He finished shaving and looked at himself in the mirror, running his hand over his chin. Steve felt a wave of guilt, anger, and sadness as he gazed at his own reflection, he had already gone through difficult days in his life, but the last days had been by far the worst. They hadn't only lost to Thanos - the name made him shudder with the bad memories - also trillions of people throughout the universe, died because of their failure.

All of them lost someone important, Bucky and Sam were victims of the snap, seeing them disappear before his eyes broke a part of his heart and he didn't even know if Tony was still alive. With those thoughts, he could no longer look at himself, so he lowered his head and closed his eyes listening to the sound of the dripping tap. Steve and Tony had their disagreements over time, they were friends but they were always arguing, despite this Steve loved his friend as much as he loved Bucky, he had never said that to him and worse, he lied to him and hurt him, he couldn't let him kill Bucky but he knew his lie was a betrayal for Tony and it had destroyed his friend and their relationship, Tony was right to be angry with me, he thought bitterly, guilt and regret corroding his insides. This clearly didn't matter now because he had lost like Steve, but alone, they hadn't done it together as he promised, and maybe Tony is also dying alone at this moment, only that thought made the tears start to fall from his eyes and roll down his face.

Almost everyone Steve cared about was dead, and he knew it was his fault, it was his failure.

He opened his eyes as he heard footsteps and someone knocked on the bathroom door, "Steve! We'll meet in the boardroom to make a plan to try to find Tony and Thanos, we need you."

It was Natasha.

He tried his best to not let his voice fail, "I'm going Nat, I'll just get ready and I'll be there in five minutes.” Getting closer to the door, she spoke softly so only he could hear, "We'll get through this Steve, but we need you...I need you. I'll wait for you in the hallway," He looked at the mirror again and more tears began to fall, he closed his hands on the edge of the sink, squeezing hard and felt all the guilt, failure, anger, regret, sadness, and fatigue bubble in his veins. He tried to focus and calm down his emotions but he couldn't, there was so much pain that he felt his heart aching and an intense mix of emotions taking hold of his mind, he couldn't take it anymore. He took a deep breath trying to keep all those feelings inside as he always did, the remaining Avengers needed him, if Tony was still alive he needed him, so he had to control himself and be the leader they need at the moment.

Inhale

Exhale

Inhale

Exhale

After some minutes, his breathing began to subside, his heart ached less, and the haze of emotions in his head was beginning to fade and give way to a headache. He opened the tap, lowered his face and washed his tears, looking into the mirror he kept his emotions in the back of his mind because now he had to control himself and be Captain America, he had a responsibility to everyone in that room and to those who died for his failure. He wiped his face and prepared to find Nat, after all, they had a job to do and a universe to save.

 


 

 

(Tony’s POV)

Titan, unknown hour

Tony had been on this moon with the psychotic cyborg for a few days now, his wound was healing well but he still had trouble walking and eating, but he was Tony Stark and he needed to get out of here, so he spent as much time as possible trying to arrange his reactor so that he could turn on the energy source of Milano - that was damaged in the fight - but he still had to sleep or the Smurf would hit him and say that he was more useless when he didn't sleep.

What led to his current situation. Nebula was sleeping beside him, which she rarely did, so Tony was taking the opportunity to try to work without her noticing, which was harder to say than to do, since she kept his toolbox - the Guardians's toolbox, that he was borrowing (not stealing) since they're unavailable - close to her body and with her gun. He lifted his arm toward the toolbox as quietly as he could, catching his breath as he brought his hand close to the box. Slowly dragging the box to himself and hoping that Nebula wouldn't wake up, but wondering why she hadn't done this yet. (He'd already tried to do this before, and she'd woken up the second he pulled his hand on the box and threatened to cut his hand off).

With the box pressed against his chest, he turned to the other side so he could sit, but what Tony didn't expect was the sight of Thanos sitting on the stone beside him, watching him in amusement. For a moment his brain stopped working in shock, unable to process this information. But a wave of feelings began to take over him, fear and anger were the most prevalent but Tony couldn't help but feel curious, questions forming in his mind.

Why is he here? He already got what he wanted, so why? I can't defend myself in this condition and there's Nebula, I haven't been able to protect anyone before. I have to keep his focus on me so he doesn't go after her, he thought to analyze all his alternatives and possible plans. He couldn't let his emotions interfere at the moment although what he most wanted was to kill the purple giant in front of him.

"I thought you'd react more passionately instead of lying there staring at me," Thanos said nonchalantly, interrupting his thoughts. "And I was wondering why the homicidal Barney, which is you in case you didn't realize, would want to visit me after our not-so-pleasant meeting," he said clenching his teeth to control his anger and then crawled close to Nebula to create a distance between them, and to at least try to protect her if Thanos tried something.

Thanos smiled, "I see that even after your defeat and the weight of failure on your shoulders, you still have time for jokes, Stark,” he said as he calmly placed his gauntlet less hand on Tony's chest to keep him in place. Tony tried to relax with Thanos so close to him, he was in a dead-end and with no options to react to anything the giant wanted to do with him. All he wanted was to be able to finish off Thanos for all he had done, for killing Peter, for the possibility of Pepper, Rhodey, Happy, and Steve being the victims of the snap, and the horrible thought that the latter might have died by the same hand on his chest. "It would be better for both of you if you just stop Anthony, we don't want to wake up my useless daughter when she finally got to sleep, right?" those words made Tony shudder.

Thanos reminded him of his father in some ways, and just like Nebula he had been a disappointment to his father too, now isn't the time for it, he thought, tired of this small talk and the threat to his life - not that he wasn't accustomed to it, but coming from Thanos, it was more disconcerting. A thought clicked into Tony's mind: Nebula had never slept soundly since he met her, the smurf woke up with any noise - what made it harder to steal the toolbox - so why is she not waking up? What if Thanos did something to her?

No! This bastard wouldn't do that.

"You son of a bitch! What did you do to her? Why is she not waking up? What are you doing here, you bastard, you got what you wanted, so why? I swear if you did something to her I'm going…" shouted Tony, trying to pull away from the giant hand on his chest and grab Nebula's gun, he could no longer control his emotions. The man above him had killed Peter and probably everyone he loved, in addition to thousands of lives, he knew that he was at a disadvantage but there was no way out of this situation, he couldn't stand still waiting for death without a fight.

"Quiet Stark!" Thanos said firmly, pushing his hand further into Tony's chest, taking his breath away for a few seconds. "I'm not here to visit you or see your miserable state, it's not worth my time killing you. I'm here because I want someone, and you will be helpful for my plan to take him, whether you want it or not,” Thanos said with a small laugh, “In fact you know him, his name is Steve, you know, your former teammate and friend,” Tony's eyes widened and his breath was taken from him again, “Oh you see, you, as well as the Avengers, have a special place in his soul and this will be his defeat again" He finished smiling as a whirlwind of emotions and thoughts took over Tony.

No no no no no! I can't let him do that! Tony thought desperately. He and Steve had a lot of problems and Tony was still feeling betrayed by what Steve did but he knew he had forgiven him in his heart, and now Thanos was saying that Tony would be part of his plan to get Steve, but why? How did he know about their past? And what was Tony's role in that plan? He didn't know the answers to these questions but he knew he couldn't let Thanos execute his plan.

Thanos's smile widened and he looked at Tony as if he knew what he was thinking. Before Tony could try anything, Thanos took his hand off his chest and activated the gauntlet, an invisible force began to press on Tony's neck, choking him. He couldn't breathe and he was beginning to see stars in his vision from the lack of air, he was struggling on the ground trying to get rid of the invisible force.

Through his suffering, Tony could still see Thanos getting up and opening a portal, he saw that the giant was putting something on the Milano, he thought it was Nebula. He turned back to Tony and walked towards him, and it was getting harder to stay awake. "Don't worry Stark, you couldn't save anyone before and you won't be able to save your friend now, but I'll get what I want again and you'll spend the rest of your miserable life on Earth living with your two failures and what's left of your race.” Those words made Tony even more desperate.

No, stay awake Tony, you have to stop him, no no no!!!

With these last thoughts, his consciousness faded.