Actions

Work Header

True Crime: East Meets West

Summary:

Sort of a crossover of "True Crime: Streets of LA" and "True Crime: New York City." Think of it like how Law & Order and CSI have their spin-offs and characters from one show appearing on the other.

Marcus Reed teams up with Nick Kang to bust an old nemesis from Marcus's criminal past. However, there is more than meets the eye as more problems come their way. Can these two get along as partners? Or will they clash despite their methods being somewhat similar yet different?

Rated M for graphic violence and strong language. If the violence gets more gruesome, I may up the rating.

Chapter 1: Introduction Part 1A (New York)

Notes:

This is a story that I came up with sometime ago. I feel that True Crime is such a long forgotten series that it gets no love. So I am trying to bring it back. Maybe one day Activision can consider rebooting the franchise. Also, this is a team-up between the two protagonists, Nick Kang (Streets of LA) and Marcus Reed (New York City). Enjoy!

Chapter Text


New York City, Fall 2006.

New York City, once a hotbed for crime has now been cleaned up. Not necessarily crime-free, but when my prince Marcus is cleaning up the streets the way he can, it only makes sense for my kingdom to still be strong as it has been for many years. When looking at my boy, I could not help but feel pride for him because he had cleaned up his act. I was always there for my son, even though I wasn't a great influence on him. He had made a few mistakes, but he was lucky to get a chance to redeem himself, although I can tell that his past haunts him in many ways and there are times that he displays shades from his past even while on the other side of the law. And when that happens, sometimes even the darkest parts from your past resurface, and that's never a good thing.

-Isaiah Reed, aka "The King."

One night, as Marcus left the precinct, he had approached a taxi cab to help take him back to his place. It was not just any taxi cab, though. The man behind the wheel was Freddie, a man whom Marcus had done multiple favors for and because of it, Freddie was not opposed to giving Marcus free rides from time to time.

"Marcus, how you doing, my friend?" Freddie asked.

"What up, Freddie," Marcus said. "Just take me home, I had a long day."

"As you wish, sir," Freddie said.

As Marcus enters Freddie's green taxi cab, a black car pulled up at about 30 feet away from behind them. Freddie looked in his rearview mirror and noticed the car parked there for no reason.

"Is that the guy?" said one of the guys in the car.

"I think so," said the guy in the backseat. "The boss showed us a picture of him. It's got to be him."

"Hey, Lamont," said the guy in the front passenger seat. "Follow that cab."

"Right, Mike," said Lamont, as he turned his head forward, and took a deep breath.

As the green cab started to roll off, the black car started to do the same thing. Freddie drove Marcus, who was tired after a long day on the job. Freddie looked through his rearview mirror right at Marcus.

"Hey, Marcus, what's going on?" Freddie asked. "Why so quiet? You look tired, I thought you never sleep."

"Come on, Freddie, of course I sleep," Marcus said. "Just not on most nights. I have too much on my mind right now, I think I need a vacation or something new to happen."

"I know what you mean, my friend, I am the same way," Freddie replied as he glanced through the mirror and as his eyes shifted to right behind him, he could not but notice the same black car that was behind him earlier was still behind him. Even with the brightness of the headlights, he was certain that it was the same car as he leaned slightly closer to the mirror.

As the cab pulled up in front of an apartment complex, the same car, while it was at a distance, still followed them. Freddie looked over in his side rearview mirror to confirm his suspicion of the car.

Marcus got out of the cab and said good night to Freddie, he reached for his wallet to pay his fare.

"No, keep the money, you'll thank me for this," Freddie said.

As Marcus pulled away from the cab, Freddie floored the gas to get out of there as fast as possible. He looked on with a lot of confusion, but also with little surprise to Freddie's action in the matter in that moment. As he walked inside the building, Mike, and the other man, Ron, got out of the car to follow Marcus inside, as Lamont looked on with a bit of worry and confusion on his face.

When Marcus entered the elevator, his Motorola cellphone rings and he saw the contact's name and it was Freddie.

Man, what does he want?

Marcus answered the phone, "What's up, Freddie? You just raced off in a hurry."

"I have to warn you," Freddie said. "I saw a car follow us on our way to your house. I got really scared and I must tell you that you might be in danger."

Marcus's eyes widened as his jaw dropped a bit after he had heard that. But even with a touch of fear in his system, Marcus was not about to turn away from all of this. When Freddie told him, the only thing he had to do was prepare himself for what was to come.

The two men walk right into the building, fully strapped and clearly up to no good. They were given information of where Marcus lived by their boss. The two went up the elevator and got out their guns and then put silencers on them to avoid making noise. They walked down the hallway and right to the door of his apartment and knock on the door a few times.

"There is no answer," Rob said.

Mike put his hand on the door knob and was taken aback when he noticed that the door was unlocked.

"Let's just go in and get this over with," Ron said as he cocked his pistol. "Just stay out here and make sure nothing happens."

Ron opened the door as he was the first to enter and noticed that no one was around, only for the door to close and Marcus stood right beside the door while holding a gun and walked right behind Ron and pointed his pistol right to the back of his head.

"Freeze, motherfucker," Marcus said.

Just then Ron looked up and realized something was up.

"Drop the gun, now!" Marcus yelled. "Who sent you?"

Ron put his gun on the floor and put his hands up in the air, and then started to smile a bit.

"You got me," Ron laughed a bit. "But I ain't telling you shit."

"Oh no?" Marcus said. "You were sent here to kill me, and you know that is a major felony if you kill a cop."

Ron said nothing as he could not help but laugh at what Marcus said. He slowly reached his hand against the gun to pick it up, but Marcus kicked the gun away.

"I'm not letting you do that, tell me who you are working for and why he sent you to kill me," Marcus said. "Who do you work for? Lionel Jones? Vincent Tuzzi? Magdalena Rojas? Leeland Shen? They're all locked up. JUST SAY IT!"

Mike then opened the door.

"Ron, what the fuck is going on in here?" Mike said, and Marcus then turned his attention, which then gave Ron the opportunity to pick up the gun once again, but Marcus acted fast and turned around and grabbed Ron by his arm and snapped it. The amount of pain caused Ron to scream at the top of his lungs. Marcus then delivered a karate chop to the back of Ron's neck which knocked him out.

Even in such a short amount of time that Marcus acted in self-defense, it opened an opportunity for Mike to get out his gun to shoot him, but Marcus had been in situations like this before, so the moment Mike tried to open fire, Marcus quickly aimed for Mike's leg and shot it. Once the bullet hit the leg, blood squirted out and he then fell to the ground. That didn't stop Mike for reaching the gun, but then Marcus went right to him and pointed his gun to his face.

"Don't even try," Marcus said.

Marcus did not hesitate to cuff Mike right then and there, so that he wouldn't try anything else. Right when he was done cuffing Mike, Ron had regained consciousness and then stretched arm to have it pop right back into place. Ron wasted no time in attacking Marcus from behind, but rather than just simply shoot him, he just got out a wire and tried to wrap it around Marcus's neck to strangle him. Ron pulled back tight which caused Marcus to gag. The only thing Marcus could do in the moment is walk backwards and bump right into the wall. Right when they hit the wall, Ron had let go of the wire. Marcus coughed as he tried to breathe.

"You're under arrest," Marcus said.

"Fuck you," Ron said.

Marcus looked at Ron. "Oh, is that so? Well, I thought about doing it the easy way, but now I have to do it the hard way."

Marcus picked Ron up to his feet and punched him so hard that he knocked him down. Ron got right back up, as he was not done trying to do the job, but this time he got out a knife.

"Oh, shit!" Marcus said.

Ron ran right to Marcus, who then opened the door to the hallway and hit his head right against the door to the neighbor across the hall. Right then, several of Marcus's neighbors walked right out of their apartments to see what was going on. Ron got up and tried to slash Marcus with the knife who then kicked it out of his hand and then jumped up in the air and delivered a hard knee right to his face.

"Reed, what the hell is going on here?" One of the neighbors said. "We heard gunshots."

"Please do me a favor, call the police," Marcus said, and then fell right to the ground in exhaustion.

Meanwhile, outside, Lamont waited for Mike and Ron to come back, only to see that a lot of squad cars were rushing the spot.

"What the fuck is this shit?" Lamont said.

Lamont looked on as many cops got out of their cars. He did the only thing he could do in that moment: just drive off.

As a few uniformed cops go inside to see what was going on, Marcus dragged a handcuffed Ron outside and threw him inside a squad car, while another cop walked Mike outside, who limped from the gunshot to his leg. Ron looked behind and saw that Lamont was nowhere to be seen.

"I guess that fool Lamont sold us out," Ron said. "That cop knew we were coming."

"I don't think it was him," Mike said. "But he knew, and Lamont was supposed to be our driver and other lookout guy. He sold out against the crew and he'll pay the price soon."

Another car had pulled up and out came Deena Dixon, Marcus's lieutenant in the Street Crime Unit, who is somewhat like a mother figure to Marcus.

"Marcus, what happened?" Dixon said. "I came as soon as I heard what was going on at your apartment."

"Two men came to kill me," Marcus said. "They didn't say who they were working for, but I am going to find out soon."

"Marcus, I don't think you're safe here," Dixon said. "Maybe you should stay at a hotel for a night or so, and I think you should take a vacation before we get to the bottom of this."

"Hell no, I don't need a vacation," Marcus said. "Besides, what if you guys don't catch the guy behind this?"

"Okay, how about this?" Dixon said. "If you don't want a vacation, how about I get you into the program where someone from our unit goes to another city and works with one of their officers? You'll still work, and you will be a lot safer there than out here."

"I don't know, let me think about this," Marcus said.

"Look, you need to rest, but you need to be somewhere else," Dixon said. "You can't be at your home because whoever wants you dead, he will likely send another person after you."

Marcus turned his head because he knew that he wanted to be on this case so badly, but with him being a marked man, he couldn't be in this situation.

"I'll get back to you in the morning," Marcus said. "I'll go stay at a hotel."