Actions

Work Header

Cross My Heart, Hope to Die

Summary:

A collection of Oneshots about Proxima Midnight and Corvus Glaive (My OTP)

Ebony Maw, Thanos and Cull Obsidian will be around too, and Nebula and Gamora will make apperances here and there.

Eure, Killijin, Thisismyaccount are some of the writers that inspired some of these works - check them out they're so good!

Notes:

- So I've been writing Fanfictions for years but never felt brave enough to post them - now I am. Comments on my work, Hints and Tips on writing are welcome

- chapters marked with * are set pre-marriage

I've tried to keep everyone as in character as possible with a little creative licence since we got hardly any Black Order screen time in the movies

Chapter 1: SLEEPLESS

Summary:

When Proxima can't sleep, Corvus is determined to get to the bottom of the reason behind it. If he can tear his exhausted wife away from the training rooms

Chapter Text

Sitting up slowly, Proxima Midnight looked to the other side of the bed to where Corvus Glaive lay on his back, covered from the waist down with a sheet and one hand resting on his bare chest, Proxima’s shoulders slumped with relief when he didn't stir. She dressed quickly and silently before grabbing her staff as she silently exited their sleeping quarters.

She headed straight for the training rooms, which were both large in size, and built so that the Black Order could practise, maintain and strengthen their abilities and fighting skills through holographic simulations.

Proxima had lost track of how long she’d been practising, yet still she pushed herself to go on.

Using her spear to stab one of the practise Androids through the chest, tearing the weapon free she swept it through the air and decapitated three more, the rust coloured machines fell and didn’t get up.

Staggering to her feet Proxima Midnight ran, barefoot across the dusty ground, lunging and stabbing another droid through the chest using the falling body as an aid to launch herself diagonally and did the same thing to another two droids, darting from one to the other before finally landing on the ground, steadying herself with one hand.

A cluster of droids fired blasts of energy in her direction but Proxima deflected them by twirling her spear in front of her like a propeller, once the last droid fell she stood straight; breathing heavily and shakily but proud since she’d beaten her personal best.

However before Proxima could relax she turn only to see more droids, these ones bigger and stronger. She rolled her head slightly and swearing under her breath, having thought the simulation had finished.

Suddenly the extent of stress she’d put her body through finally caught up with her, the air she needed caught in her throat, making her breathing come heavy and fast, gripping her chest with her free hand she staggered forward, landing on one knee and using her spear to lean on.

Proxima grit her teeth as she tried to ignore the way her limbs ached and how her chest burned as she tried to breathe, the next thing she knew the electronic voice alarm came to life;

‘Simulation terminated, Simulation terminated” the robotic voice repeated.

Proxima glanced around her as the simulated landscape faded, returning to its default unfurnished space with thick iron floor and walls.

Remaining on one knee, Proxima looked to the doorway where, leaning against the doorframe and lowering a hand from the control panel on the wall.

Corvus Glaive stood, dressed in black trousers and sleeveless leather vest, regarding Proxima intensely, she fixed her gaze on him with anger radiating from her amber coloured eyes, using her weapon to help push herself to her feet

“Why did you do that?” she demanded

Corvus’ brow twitched

"It won’t do if you are injured or collapsed from exhaustion Thanos doesn’t like it when his toys are broken” the male replied

Proxima sneered sarcastically in his direction

“Bite your tongue before I rip it out with one hand.”

She tried to sound threatening but her words sounded like more of a sigh. Corvus pushed away from the doorframe,

“You’re a cruel woman, Proxima Midnight.” he retorted, making his way closer.

“Isn’t that why you married me?”

Her tone was tired but humorous.

Corvus lip twitch into a smirk, revealing sharp, pointed teeth

“Well it certainly wasn’t your stubbornness” he shrugged.

Proxima stumbled again as her knees gave way without permission, Corvus fought the urge to reach out and steady her; knowing she would only resist anyway and possibly snap his wrist.

““I am not as unobservant as you seem to think. Come, rest.” Corvus added

Proxima, you haven’t slept for almost a week, this cannot continue” he stated firmly.

When Proxima did not move he accepted that he would need to try a different tactic than just suggesting or telling her what to do,

“We’ll spar then.” He concluded, his wife glanced at him sceptically,

“Excuse me?” she snorted.

Corvus explained

“If I win you come back to the room and rest, if not…I’ll leave you to train for as long as you wish, till you pass out if that’s what it takes for you to stop.” he offered.

Proxima Midnight smirked

“Very well, husband.”

But as she raised her staff Corvus held a hand u

“Without weapons” he corrected.

Proxima rolled her eyes

“Fine”

Moving to lean her spear against the wall. The couple took their starting positions, sharing a nod before they darted towards each other.

Proxima threw herself into a side roll, coming up behind Corvus and kicking him in the center of his back hard enough to cause him to stumble before he whirled round and threw a punch at Proxima’s torso.

Proxima blocked by crossing her arms over the intended area, she then jumped, planting her booted foot on his chest as an aid she back-flipped, kicking Corvus’ jaw as she did so.

After just fifteen minutes Corvus could tell Proxima was struggling, after hours of solo training she wouldn’t be able to go on much longer.

He let his wife think she had him in a sturdy head-lock, but once he saw his opportunity Corvus threw himself backwards; pinning her between himself and the floor.

Proxima cried out as most of his weight landed on her for a second before rolling away, he quickly trapped Proxima beneath him; his legs bent either side of her with her arms secured to her sides.

Corvus put his hands to her shoulders but still Proxima struggled; kicking and squirming trying to get free but Corvus remained firm

“Proxima, enough” he growled sternly.

Proxima glared at her husband as she finally became still but remained tense

“I-I yield” she spat through gritted teeth and she fell limp, every ounce of strength leaving her body.

Corvus looked down at her

“There, that wasn’t so difficult was it? Now…why are you behaving this way? It’s childish and you know it”  

still breathing heavily from the fight. Proxima turned her head to one side, refusing to meet his gaze.

He tried again

“Proxima, you need sleep”

She flinched when his hand reached down to touch her cheek, her finger tips dug into the cold steel floor, when she didn’t reply he spoke again

“If you fall sick and become weak Thanos will notice and you know what will happen!”” Corvus Glaive said loudly, growing frustrated with his partner’s behaviour

“my dear Midnight…”

His tone lowered as he reined in his frustration

“I have overseen the destruction of planets, led the massacre of thousands, but you…I will not have you suffer, nor will I allow you destroy yourself in this manner” he stated

“whether you want my help or not, you shall have it regardless.”

Releasing her shoulders from his grasp he relaxed his hold on her enough that she could partly sit up.

She was now facing him fully, lips parted slightly and her amber eyes seemed to soften, drawing Corvus in, as though gravity were acting against him the lean male leant closer so that their faces were almost touching.

Her breath fanned against his cheeks, he was so distracted he missed the way her smirk turned cynical

“Sleep is for the weak” she growled,

Corvus’ relaxed grip gave her the opportunity to suddenly lunge forward.

Corvus gave a shout of surprise and pain as her forehead smacked against his face, blood immediately spurting from his broken nose and the air was knocked from his lungs as she flipped him into his back, his spine hitting the steel floor hard,

“WOMAN! WAS THERE ANY NEED?!” Corvus shouted through his hands which where cupped over his face.

Proxima meanwhile was getting to her feet, completely emotionless while her husband wiped the blood from his face, muttering in annoyance under his breath

“Mad-woman” 

Proxima turned her back on him and Corvus got to his feet, the regenerative powers of his glaive meant his broken nose healed immediately.

In a flurry of movement he darted for Proxima and flung her over his shoulder, ignoring her cry of surprise he walked out of the training rooms, collecting Proxima’s spear as he did so, moving it out of her reach as she grabbed for it

“Corvus, what do you think you’re doing? Set me down, now!” she shouted not caring who else heard.

Exiting the room Corvus held his wife securely over his shoulder with one hand while pressing the keypad to lock the training room with the other.

As he did so Corvus heard a third voice over Proxima’s enraged shouts, Ebony Maw and Cull Obsidian stood to the left, both watching calmly

“Problem? Others actually require sleep you know” Ebony Maw pointed out with a lazy gesture.

Corvus sighed

“That’s what I’ve been trying to get through to her” 

He made a point  of utting the side of his head into Proxima’s hip.

In response her foot caught his stomach as she kicked out angrily.

Corvus barely reacted but continued to address the Maw

“Proxima seems to be overexerting herself, I’m going to ensure she gets some rest. We won’t be available until tomorrow, if I’m still alive by then, that is” Corvus commented, turning his back.

 Cull   and The Maw watched Corvus’ retreating form, Proxima still shouting and hitting out in frustration as she was carried away.

With a silent look at each other, Thanos’ other two generals decided not to ask for details. The Maw was simply grateful that Thanos was in a distant part of the ship and most definitely wouldn’t hear, The Ebony Maw would have dreaded having to explain the disruption.

 

Once back in their quarters, Corvus deposited Proxima roughly on the bed, earning a fiery glare from the indigent female, but he looked right back her unwaveringly, she appeared more relaxed now at least

“If I am to be confined here I am I right in assuming you are my guard, to make sure I stay put?” she chuckled tiredly.

Corvus gave a snort of amusement

“Hm, Indeed” 

He began shedding the black leather vest and trousers he had hastily dressed in when he’d discovered his wife missing over an hour ago.

He slid onto the bed beside her, lying on his side with his arm propped up on his pillow, leaning over to her when Proxima finally settled against the gel mattress, clawed fingers tracing her skin soothingly

“Why is it you do not wish to sleep?” Corvus questioned

Proxima watched his fingers instead of his face

“Sleep is for the weak” was her reply


Corvus sighed in exasperation.

“Proxima, will you tell me what you mean? I’ve told you that you will receive my help whether you like it or not, but if you give me something to work with it would be so much easier”

A short, tense pause followed, until Proxima decided to give in, she described what her words had really meant, her tongue darted out to wet her dry, chapped lips, refusing to meet his gaze.

In her dreams she woke, a child once more. Thanos had never come for her, she’d never become a General of the black Order, never met and married Corvus. Instead she was a child; alone, starving and purposeless.

 And when she said that ‘sleep is for the weak’ it was that sleep made her feel weak; the nightmares, the different reality her mind dug up in the dead of night to torment her…that made her feel weak, like she couldn’t control her own mind.

When she’d finished explaining, Corvus reached for her, saying nothing, his hand rubbed uneven, soothing patterns in the taunt muscles of her arm and Proxima found that now she’d clarified out-loud what she had been trying to conceal, she felt better.

Finally exhaustion claimed her and that night, with Corvus’ protective hold on her, Proxima Midnight slept peacefully.

Chapter 2: TATTOO*

Summary:

Set before Proxima and Corvus married, the couple share a conversation.
(my headcannon is that they were lovers for a few years before they married)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

They were lying on Corvus’ bed, the mess of clothing and bedding on the floor and their bare bodies intimately entwined tell-tale signs of what they had been doing. But as they lay in the dim light of his sleeping quarters, Corvus’ mind wandered to a more pressing matter.

“The Maw does not approve of this, of us” he voiced without concern. Proxima sighed, though not altogether surprised

“Hm, so I’ve heard. He leans in the masters’ ear, whispering his lies and fabrications. He’s trying to make the master see us as the Order’s weakness.” she replied,

Corvus paused before answering

“Yet his whispers started weeks ago, Thanos has not mentioned it nor acted on what he knows – this is a good sign, it means he either doesn’t believe the Maw or he couldn’t care less either way.” Corvus said, pressing his face to Proxima’s neck, her arm wrapped around his shoulders with an indulgent sound

“Unless he’s waiting, planning on uncovering the truth in some not so subtle way” she wondered out loud, Corvus considered this as he tried to decide the best course of action.

The conversation dropped for the time being, Corvus used the claw of his thumb to trace the deep blue, almost black line that ran from the middle of Proxima Midnight’s bottom lip to the tip of her chin. “It’s injected with ink” Proxima answered the silent question

“On my home planet every female child is given one at a young age. I don’t remember the reason or if there even was one” she explained.

Corvus nodded in understanding, while he had been older and already gaining a reputation for himself when he had been approached by Thanos, Proxima had been just a teenager when Thanos found her on Sakkaar and offered her a place as part of the Order.

Almost twenty minutes passed with no words spoken between the two, the pair simply exchanged lazy kisses and caresses as the night wore on.

Proxima’s head rested on his arm as he wound his hand in her hair.

Their lips met briefly multiple times, Corvus deliberately missed her mouth every now and then to kiss the blue/black tattoo below her lip, causing Proxima to chuckle; she so rarely laughed that way; freely, out of genuine happiness that Corvus couldn’t stop himself smiling at the sound, and he knew there and then that he wanted to be the only one to see her laugh that way.

“Tomorrow, we shall go before the master and tell him ourselves.” Corvus stated confidently.

Proxima looked into his eyes, searching for any signs of falseness or jesting.

“Are you serious?” she demanded, knowing what Corvus’ words meant without him saying them; he wanted more, Corvus’ expression remained determined, the arm that was not comfortably trapped under Proxima’s head came to rest at the top of her arm

“I am. This is what I want; you, here in my bed, as more than just a fellow member of the order, more than just a…pastime. But as my companion…my lover and I want it without secrecy now, without having to listen out for what the Maw is telling the master.” Corvus explained,

A stray claw pricked the skin of her arm yet she didn’t react,

“And if I do not want the same? If I want no more than what we have now?” she challenged

He was asking her for more…more than the casual, sexual relationship which had suited them both well enough when it had started almost four months ago.

Corvus had tensed at her question but made no other movement,

“I have no satisfactory answer to that, other than if that is what you desire I will give it to you. I have no wish to control you, only…to love you, because I do.” Corvus revealed

“I am a servant of Thanos, destroyer of worlds and breaker of kings. Yet I still feel affection, I can feel love, and I’m in love with you, Proxima Midnight” he finished.

To Corvus’ surprise the woman chuckled, tearing her eyes from his as she laughed

“Foolish, foolish man, to bear your heart so fervently” She scolded but her tone remained light-hearted before pulling his face closer to hers.

“But if you are a fool I am even more so, for it is what I want as well.” she answered, full, black lips parting in a wide grin. She’d killed thousands in her lifetime, watched the light fade from a victims eyes countless times over, so seeing Corvus’ eyes brighten at her statement was like nothing she’d ever seen. He kissed her passionately, fiercely and she responded in kind.

With their plan made, confessions exchanged, accepted and reciprocated, the pair lay together in silence, watching each-other in the kind of loving way one wouldn’t expect from two bloodthirsty Generals of the Mad Titan.

Notes:

Since we don't know what Proxima's back story really is I have made my own. There will be a chapter on this later

Chapter 3: UNWANTED ATTENTION

Summary:

When a new member wishes to join the Order he show Proxima a little too much interest.
Warning for violence and non-consensual touching

Chapter Text

Proxima Midnight grunted as she threw her opponent onto his back, her staff would have pierced his shoulder if he hadn’t grabbed the handle, just below the three prongs that protruded from the end

“I yield!” the male shouted, straining against Proxima’s weight before she backed off.

The female looked down on her defeated opponent, Cloud had recently joined Thanos’ ranks after the slaughter of half the population of his planet; he agreed with the ideals Thanos preached and wished to be a part of the titans great plan for the universe.

Considered the fiercest fighter of the Black Order, Proxima Midnight had been instructed to guide Cloud in his training for the initiation test that would assure him of a respected place in the Order, but he had yet to defeat her in single combat.

“Again” Proxima ordered,

“I’ve told you thousands of times; eyes on your opponent!” she recited, ducking behind him and with a swift kick, sent him to his knees, Cloud turned his head to glair at her but she had lunged once more,

“Recover quickly!” she continued while blocking each one of Clouds’ punches

“Anticipate your opponents fighting style"

She blocked the next blow by crossing her arms across her face and kicking him in the gut. Half an hour later Cloud yielded once again, to Proxima’s irritation

“You’re to be tested before Thanos in a months’ time, so far you’ve made little to no progress” Proxima warned.

Cloud met her gaze

“I understand. I won’t fail him, or you.” Cloud insisted.

an unsettled feeling rested in Proxima’s stomach but she pushed it aside.

“Take a break, we’ll continue in an hours’ time.” she snapped before walking away.

“Proxima” Cloud called, making her turn back.

“I’m starving after that, come get something to eat with me” Cloud said with a demanding tone

Proxima sneered at his arrogance 

“No, I have other matters to attend to. Perhaps you’ll succeed in landing at least one decent punch next time. ” 

She turned her back on Cloud who watched as she left “and when I do you shall feel it for a week” he retorted.

As she walked away she could feel his lime green eyes burning into her back but refused to acknowledge it.

 

The hour she’d allotted to ship maintenance was almost up and after making lists of failures, damages and spare parts needed Proxima handed her two clipboards to Corvus with a sigh

“I have to get back, I told Cloud I’d meet him for another training session in ten minutes” Proxima said.

Corvus scanned the notes she given him half-heartedly as he conversed with his wife,

“He hasn’t much time left and he still hasn’t beaten you in physical combat, do you think he’ll be ready?” he questioned.

Proxima shrugged a shoulder

“I doubt it” Proxima sighed

Corvus turned to her

“Why not simply inform Thanos of Clouds’ lack of improvement?” 

Proxima shook her head.

“I’m giving Cloud another day, and then I’m stepping up his training. I need to get back"

They exchange a kiss on the cheek, but Corvus, unsatisfied, brought his lips to hers.

She indulged him for several moments but stopped before either of them could get carried away, placing a hand to his chest 

"Later" she promised

Their eyes met for a long moment as she moved passed him, as she exited the room she didn’t notice Cloud; his eyes, narrowed and glowing in shadow of a large pillar glaring at her retreating form.

 

The next training session went much the same as the last, and the one before that. Late that night Corvus listened patiently to Proxima’s frustrated complaints as the couple prepared for bed.

Proxima removed her boots and left them at the foot of the bed.

“After tomorrow I’m not wasting my time anymore. Besides, there is something about him…”

she faltered and Corvus noticed her frowning as  watched her carefully

“What?” Corvus pried

Proxima shook her head

“Doesn’t matter, he just seemed put out when I mentioned that I was assisting you with maintenance earlier, even though it’s part of my duties regardless of our relationship.” 

Corvus smirked

“But a rather beneficial circumstance all the same.” Corvus said

"The little upstart believes himself worthy of you…I would very much like to take his head, my dear” he growled

Proxima chuckled as Corvus pulled her to him

“Hm, I agree.” she muttered.

Cloud was too weak to become part of the Black Order, that much was clear already yet he still believed himself worthy of Proxima Midnight! 

Corvus snarled at the very idea, but his wife knew exactly the right words to say and actions to take to sooth his rage, which she felt through his possessive grasp on her waist.

Her fingers smoothing the ever present wrinkles in his features.

“Pay him no mind, my love. He is nothing; Cloud is nothing compared to you. You are a general of Thanos, by far the best strategist, the most capable General the Galaxy could ever know; my husband, my lover, you are far worthier than Cloud, of both your place in the Order and…of me” 

By this time her face was barley an inch from his and a new, more pleasant kind of tension filled the air around them.

Proxima grasped the back of Corvus head, bringing his lips to hers, he responded by quickly taking control of the kiss, needle sharp teeth bit into her bottom lip carelessly, yet she only chuckled breathlessly at her husband’s eagerness.

Unknown to them Cloud lingered at the end of the corridor, listening to the muffled sound of conversation and Proxima’s laughter.

The next day; Proxima knocked Cloud on his back with a frustrated sigh

“Cloud, this is the fifth time today” she stated, barley out of breath despite the extended period of physical training,

“You are clearly distracted. You have no hope of succeeding in the tests if you carry on this way” she added firmly.

“Thanos wouldn’t have brought here if he didn’t see potential, but you have to prove it– that’s what the initiation is for. Again – and for novelty’s sake try and get a few hits in, knock me off my feet at least!”

Proxima’s voice rose as she took her stance, leaving her staff to one side for now.

Cloud sneered in her direction

“You know, too much confidence in a woman is really unattractive, Proxima Midnight” he quipped as they began to circle each other.

She scoffed in response

“And letting your words run away with you will get you into trouble” Proxima retorted.

She darted forward, faking right and striking Cloud’s ribs but as she moved to throw a punch he caught her fist and flipped her over his shoulder, sending her rolling across the floor, she recovered by landing in a low crouch and grinning

“So you’ve finally broken it; whatever it was that was holding you back?” Proxima asked.

Cloud blocked her next strike

“Oh yes.” he answered, meeting her eyes

“Because it was you.” 

The look on in his eyes and the threat in his voice made Proxima falter and it cost her.

Cloud grabbed a fistful of her hair, nails digging close to the scalp he threw her away from him and kicked the back of her knee.

Proxima tried to smother a cry of pain as she felt the joint pop out of its socket then click back into place on its own, she tried to reach out to call her spear to her but Cloud pinned her arm behind her back, pulling it higher than it should have been able to go.

Proxima felt Cloud push his nose into her hair and inhale loudly before he spoke

“Going down fighting eh? Fantastic, I like females that fight back” he leered pressing his body against hers.

With a cry of rage Proxima threw her head back; her skull shattered Cloud’s nose, the male snarled in pain and threw Proxima to her hands and knees before delivering a swift kick to her side which sent her rolling onto her back.

A second later she was pinned to the floor as Cloud straddled her, holding her wrists tightly to her sides as he leant close to her

“Eyes on your opponent, remember?” he breathed,

Proxima leant her face away from him as his tongue curling past his small rounded teeth as he exhaled hungrily, he removed a hand from her wrist but kept it firmly in place by putting his knee on her hand.

“You treated me like dirt, talked down to me with such superiority, you - a female, behaving like you were worthier of being a Black Order general than I. Well, perhaps you were, but only until someone better stepped forward to replace you.” he smirked.

“But still, perhaps once I’m initiated into the order and I’ve taken your place Thanos will let me keep you alive, I mean such a humiliating defeat…Corvus wouldn’t want you after that.”

Cloud chuckled darkly, and Proxima struggled with more determination

“You…You’re insane” she hissed spitefully,

Adrenalin and her self-preservation instinct gave her enough strength to wretch her hand free from under Cloud’s knee; the bones in three of her fingers cracked simultaneously but all she could think of was getting free, hitting Cloud across the temple with her arm so that her  armour struck him hard enough to make him loosen his grip.

Proxima manoeuvred her body free and kick him hard in the chest to put some distance between them, on her knees with one hand supporting her Proxima reached to call her spear to her again but before it could come to her hand she heard the sickening, familiar crack of bones snapping and mind-numbing pain take over…and she screamed.

Cloud kicked Proxima in the lower stomach so hard that her knees gave way and she landed on her front, her broken arm failed to soften the impact and a heavy boot was placed on her spine.

Proxima flinched as Cloud bent to hiss like a serpent in her ear, his breathing grew heavier as his free hand roaming her body while Proxima winced in disgust, trying to twist and squirm away from his touch as Cloud traced her muscles through taunt black leather, it was torn at the shoulder and Cloud let his fingers wander across her bare skin.

What happened next left Proxima frozen, her eyes wide in distress;.

 Cloud was pressing his thumb to the soft flesh area where her horn met her head, while rubbing his fingers across her horn!

Proximas’ thoughts spiralled as she shuddered in horror and revulsion.

‘no, not that, not there…too hard

That personal, intimate area of soft unguarded flesh was not meant to be touched by anyone other than the owner or their significant other after gaining consent.

Her throat constricted so only short, harsh sounds came from her throat rather than the deep seated shriek she so wanted to emit as Cloud roughly touched such a personal, sensitive part of her anatomy with such blatant carelessness and disregard.

A third voice bellowed from above the two

"CLOUD!"

Proxima released a whine of relieve when the weight on her back suddenly disappeared, leaving her panting and shuddering as though she’d been pulled from freezing water.

She forced herself to lift her head slightly, finding Corvus  crouching protectivly in front of her, his with his glaive in hand an, from over her husbands shoulder Proxima could see Cloud lying in a heap against the wall.

Hearing Proxima slowly get  her feet, Corvus addressed his wife without looking at her

“Proxima, perhaps you should get someone from medical to look at those injuries.”

By his  tone Proxima knew better than to do anything but limp obediently from the room, holding her broken arm close to her body, bloodied and bruised she eyed Cloud with hatred as she did so.

As soon as she was gone Corvus advanced, slamming his glaive down, the resulting thud echoed throughout the room, making Cloud flinch. Corvus sneered down at the second male, his eyes burning with pure almost animalistic rage despite his outwardly calm demeanour,

“You’ve no doubt heard this glaive can cut anything, even split atoms…” he started

He flipped the weapon in his hand so that the blade was now pointed at  Cloud, or rather a certain part of Clouds’ lower anatomy that was very important to the cowering male.

Cloud was now shaking and sweating nervously, Corvus would’ve been amused if rage hadn’t numbed him to everything else

“Ah, so now you fear. That’s good, because if you touch her at all, if I so much as hear of you being within breathing space of Proxima Midnight, I will use this blade to geld you!” Corvus growled

“And make no mistake, my wife will be the one to hold you down while I do it.”

He bared his sharp, pointed teeth, holding the point of the blade closer between Clouds legs.

Corvus narrowed his eyes

“Nod if you understand” he ordered.

Cloud did so quickly and Corvus growled, swinging his glaive in an upwards motion, the blade caught Clouds face just enough to make a small, deep cut across his cheek.

With the blade now pointed to the ceiling, Corvus regarded Cloud with a sudden, unnerving calmness

“I shall inform Thanos that Proxima is too injured to continue training you but that you are arrogant enough to insist in carrying on training yourself, in preparation for your upcoming tests.”

Corvus grinned cruelly before sweeping from the room, black cloak billowing behind him.

Time-skip

Cloud writhed and screamed in pain as a pair of Chitauri dragged his flailing body from the room.

Proxima knelt before Thanos with her teeth clenched; the joint in her knee still gave her discomfort and her broken arm was still healing.

She began apologising for her failure in her task of training Cloud, but Thanos leant back in his throne with a wave of his hand

“You can relax, Proxima Midnight. Glaive assures me that you when you last sparred with Cloud you pulled none of your punches – and if Cloud was able to send you to the medical unit with the injuries that he did, then Cloud should have been ready. However despite the fact that you are my fiercest warrior you are not yet ready to mentor new recruits.” Thanos concluded.

Proxima nodded once

“I understand father, I am honoured that you felt I was worthy of at least trying to train Cloud, and I am sorry that I failed.” 

Thanos gave a dismissive 'humph' before continuing

“Leave now. And Corvus…” the Titan addressed his first General who looked up as Thanos gave his order,

“Cloud has proven a disgrace to the order; show him what happens to those who disappoint me.” Thanos said, not failing to notice the way Corvus’ mouth twitched into a sadistic grin

“It would be an honour, my lord Thanos.” he replied.

The couple left the large room, walking beside each other with hardly a sliver of space between them.

Once out in the hallway the pair approached the Chitauri struggling with Cloud.

As they drew closer, Proxima’s gaze hardened

“Enough” she snapped

The Chitauri immediately backed off, chittering and curling their bodies forward submissively before fleeing.

Corvus stalked around Cloud, like a predator corning its prey, with the tip of his glaive to Cloud’s throat Corvus’  red eyes flashed from  to Proxima

“What would you have me do, my love…?” he asked his wife

“Disembowel him? Shall i remove his vital organs, perhaps? Simply rip out his throat and mount his head above our bed?” Corvus suggested, flexing his claws at that last, highly enticing option.

Cloud that had not only disgraced the Order but had dared laid his hands all over his wife; breaking her bones and touching her in ways only he, Corvus Glaive was permitted.

Proxima, who had been watching Corvus, His mouth was practically watering as he imagined the torturous, gruesome things he could do to Cloud.

With one arm crossed over her stomach and the pad of her opposite thumb pressed to her lower lip, she chuckled darkly and placed her foot heavily on Cloud’s wounded shoulder making him cry out in pain, she lifted her hooded gaze to meet her husbands,

“Interrogation Chambers - now.” she ordered huskily

She was holding her spear to Cloud’s neck so that the tip of her weapon almost met Corvus’ own, causing both spear and glaive to react to each other – black sparks emitted from the couples respective weapons, making painful hairline burns on Cloud’s skin, his shouts of discomfort caused Proxima to glance down at their victim but she continued to address Corvus as though unaware of Clouds presance 

“Do as you please with him, my love, just so long as I can watch. Oh, and leave him alive long enough to carve out this pathetic creatures skull while he still breaths, and bring it to me so that I can crush it to dust under my heel.” Proxima answered softly.

Sadistic pleasure displayed clearly across her features; she then lifted her spear and brought it down on Cloud’s lower body, a glowing blue blade pierced each thigh while the middle blade pierced his genitals.

 

Clouds screams echoed across the Sanctuary 2 for two weeks before abruptly falling silent.

Chapter 4: POSSESIVE

Summary:

Corvus isn't the only one who gets jealous

Chapter Text

“What is our next task?” she questioned, Corvus hesitated

“A simple intel meeting with Scorpius Mallon, an informant of the masters. However there is an aspect you shall not like.” Proxima’s face hardened as she turned to her husband

“Tell me” she demanded. 

 

Timeskip

“You’re right; I am not happy.”

These were  the first words Proxima said upon arriving at their destination; a strip club in the centre of the planets capital city.

Corvus moved to the door

“I’m inclined to believe this informant shall not even show his face anyway” 

He only half believed his own words but hopethehey might placate his irritated wife, who followed behind him in silence, deciding she was going to keep him in her sight at all times, while the couple trusted each other with their lives their relationship was always a passionate one and before they’d become involved with each other Corvus did have somewhat of a record.

A large square stage took up most of the centre of the room, women of various races danced and gyrated around poles connecting the ceiling and the stage in each of the four corners, with a raised platform in the centre, where three exceptionally beautiful young women danced together in various provocative fashions.

Around the edge of the room where multiple private booths where female workers entertained customers and clients while waitresses took orders.

The pair made their way to the bar a short distance from the stage. Proxima took in her surroundings quickly before Corvus leant close to speak in her ear

“There; the male with the three – er ahem – the last booth one the right.” Corvus directed after quickly correcting
himself.

Proxima narrowed her eyes at him before looking in the direction Corvus had indicated, towards one of the largest, exclusive booths in the club, a lean looking male with mint green skin and darker green hair sat surrounded by three women with intricate markings across their flawless skin.

Proxima nodded in confirmation

“You go on, if we’re doing this I need a drink” she said.

Corvus glanced at her

“Bring me one…?” he requested before parting from her and heading towards the booth.

Proxima paid the units required for the two drinks and carried them back to where she’d seen Corvus heading, however she saw one of three silver skinned women kneeling on the seat beside Corvus, hands on his shoulders, trying to look enticing.

Proxima only caught a moment of the exchange as Corvus roughly pushed the woman back, maybe with more force than necessary but the woman, looking severely admonished, crawled onto the wide square back-rest of the couch, lying on her stomach behind Scorpius Malone’s head, draping an arm over his chest as he laughed

“Ha-Ha, not your type, eh? Shame, my favourites these three aren’t you, girls?”

Scorpius laughed loudly, he had an arm around the two women either-side of him and glanced up at the one lying behind him.

Corvus made no comment but as Proxima approached Scorpius looked up, eying her openly

“Hey, this one more your style, maybe? All that leather and armour…”

Scorpius gestured to Proxima Midnight with a glass of purplish alcohol in his hand,

“Bit over-dressed I’d say” the informant continued without pausing,

“What’s it, a fetish thing? Nah, not to my taste, what do you reckon, Glaive?” Scorpius laughed once more.

Corvus tensed, as did Proxima but she calmly took a seat, making sure her thigh brushed against Corvus’ own,

“As ordered, dear.” she said, handing Corvus one of the two glasses in her hands.

He met her gaze as he took it from her

“Much obliged my love.” Corvus thanked, while bringing his arm up to rest atopnthe backrest of their seat, above Proxima’s shoulders, before continuing

“Scorpius Malone, meet Proxima Midnight, fellow General of the Black Order” Corvus introduced returning his gaze to Scorpius.

Realization hit and almost all colour drained from Scorpius' rich green skin, giving it an unhealthy, sickly hue to Corvus’ amusement

“She also happens to be my wife” he added, Scorpius Malone tried to stutter an apology.

But Corvus waved his hand in a bored fashion

“A simple mistake, easily done. Let’s move on shall we?” Corvus suggested, gritting his teeth when he felt Proxima’s foot slam down on his

‘Agh! I’m going to pay for that later’ Corvus thought to himself but the conversation moved onto the information Scorpius apparently had for them.

As time wore on it was becoming clear the trip had indeed been a waste of time.

“So what you are in fact saying is that you have heard whispers of where this object could be? And yet the message Thanos received seemed to imply that you knew for certain.” Corvus clarified in a low tone

Despite the fact that, since their arrival Scorpius seemed to prefer address Corvus rather than her directly, Proxima remained silent but alert, completely aware of her surroundings and she did not fail to notice the same silver skinned woman from earlier had been eyeing Corvus for most of the evening, she’d even began to inch herself nearer and nearer to the fearsome General.

Finally Corvus and Scorpius got to their feet, Proxima followed and the three made their way to through the club with Scorpius being flanked by the three women that had clung to him all night, Scorpius stopped to admire some scantily clad dancers within protective glass chambers and illuminated by blue light.

Proxima, choosing to overlook the fact that his eyes had lingered fr a moment on one of the dancers, turned her attention to her husband

“Why haven’t you killed him yet? He clearly has no useful information!” Proxima hissed loudly,

Corvus turned to her

“Believe me; Scorpius is trying my patience as well. Until now he has been a trusted informer under Thanos, I’m recording everything Scorpius has to say –when we have disposed of him, the recording will confirm the fact that he gave us nothing but wasted time” Corvus explained.

Proxima nodded, a decent enough plan, and would cover for the fact that they hadn’t been able to get any intel on the whereabouts of one of Thanos’ coveted Infinity Stones.

At that moment, Scorpius turned to the pair, seeing them speaking in hushed tones to each other he snorted in derision

“she’s got you on a tight leash, eh, Corvus? You’ve barely looked at any female but her all night.” Scorpius jeered.

For two hours the meeting had dragged on for, he had become increasingly intoxicated

“I heard you favoured the Silvan’s most of all, no?” he added with a leering grim, inclining his head to the women at his sides, the three prostitutes gave identical, sickly sweet smiles.

Proxima’s stomach tightened in anger, her knuckles cracked as she curled her hand into a fist. She was not unaware of Corvus’ past or his…proclivities, but she was practically livid by this point and struggling to conceal it

“Phases and fancies; they mean nothing. Besides Silvan’s are fragile, easily broken” Proxima spat poisonously to the three women.

the one that had tried to entice Corvus earlier in the evening stepped forward,

“Compared to one of your kind perhaps, but who would know since Thanos destroyed half the life on your planet.” The grey haired woman retorted

“But we Silvan’s’...are just…so much more…”

The Silvan was now standing in front of Proxima and grinning spitefully as she finished her sentence

“well, flexible; no female in the galaxy can compare, from what Scorpius was telling us before your arrival I’m sure your husband will agree.” The Silvan added.

In a blatent isplay of courage or perhaps stupidity, the female was suddenly taking a step around Proxima and daring to place a hand on Corvus’ chest.

But his eyes were fixed on Proxima and as much as he wanted to snap the Silvan’s wrist like a twig, he didn’t react in the slightest, it was Proxima who grabbed the woman’s thin wrist, breaking it effortlessly and flinging the woman to one side and moving to stand directly in front of her husband as the sisters cowered.

Scorpius laughed drunkenly as the three Silvan females slunk away,

“Well Glaive I don’t know whether I should envy you or not, having a wife like this one! I mean, how many times have you had to regenerate because she broke you in unspeakable places, while doing unspeakable things?” Scorpius joked,

since Corvus had his back him and his gaze on Proxima, the informant didn’t see the look on the second males face, mainly his blood red eyes displayed the amount of insult taken at the statement, Proxima however recognised the look, she’d seen only a few times, she grinned in anticipation but even she had enough sense to take a single step backwards as Corvus turned to face Scorpius Malone.

The pair left the club with their hands and clothing soaked in blood but otherwise calm and collected.

“He certainly talked a lot, even for an informant.” Corvus commented as they descended the steps of the club Proxima made a sound of agreement

“Indeed. Particularly when you relieved him of his intestines” Proxima said, smiling sadistically and Corvus huffed impatiently

“You certainly took your time with the girl.” he scolded, “I waited for twenty minutes for you to finish her off” He added,

“what did you do to her anyway?” he questioned, they stood almost chest to chest, his features regarding his wife with an intense need for details, but she took pleasure in denying him

“What occurred in that room is between me and her sisters, what I left of them at least.” Proxima stated, feeling a swell of pride when Corvus growled in frustration and tore his eyes from hers, inspecting his blood soaked hand with disinterest.

He moved with the intent of cleaning it off on his already blood-stained cloak, only for Proxima to grab his wrist firmly

“Leave it.” Proxima commanded huskily, bringing his clawed hand to her mouth to lick some of the thick, fresh blood from his palm.

Corvus released a snarl of arousal before grabbing the top of her arm roughly and leading the way back to their ship.

Chapter 5: PRIVACY?!

Summary:

Apparently the rest of Proxima and Corvus' adopted family are unaccustomed to the concept of couples having alone time.

Chapter Text

Despite being an exceptionally large ship it wasn’t easy to find privacy on the Sanctuary 2.

Corvus Glaive pushed Proxima Midnight down onto the bed, her legs wrapped firmly around his waist while she grabbed at him, pulling him into a heated kiss, the heady sense of urgency in their actions.

However just as Corvus had shrugged away his heavy black cloak and returned his attention back to his wife a call was heard from the corridor from one of their adoptive siblings

“As much as I hate to break up your moment of intimacy…”

Ebony Maw could be heard from the other side of the steel door, without sounding the least bit apologetic.

Rhe couple pulled apart, a bit breathless but mainly surprised by the interruption, outside Ebony Maw continued

“Lord Thanos is requesting you both immediately so you shall have to continue this at a more appropriate time.” The telekinetic alien informed

Corvus snarled in the direction of the door as he stood and Proxima sat up, then got to her feet,

“Tonight, my love” she soothed, placing a hand on his arm, he almost growled at the contact he wanted her that badly, but if their adoptive father was calling, they would answer at a seconds notice.

The meeting led to Corvus being sent with Cull Obsidian on a mission that day, which lasted a week.

After Corvus’ return, he and Proxima were performing routine checks on one of the Q-ships, with Corvus sitting in the pilot’s seat and checking through the buttons and levers on the control panel.

Proxima walked up behind the chair leaning on it slightly

"Almost done?” she inquired,

he replied without looking up

“Do you have something you would rather be doing than maintaining our fleet?” 

Proxima dropped a hand to his shoulder, squeezing firmly

“Perhaps” she shrugged.

Corvus paused, he knew  exactly what she was implicating but  hid his reaction well,

“If these results are late Lord Thanos will have my head” he tried to reason

Proxima scoffed

"As if losing your head ever bothered you before. It would grow back soon enough” she answered back.

Her fingers tracing the faded scar across his throat, Corvus could hear the humorous tone in her voice, not trusting himself to look at her knowing that if he did he would abandon what little restraint he still possessed at this moment.

Proxima was not deterred

“But by all means continue, husband” she purred

Her hand strayed from his neck, crawling over his chest, venturing lower and lower until it disappeared beneath the fold of his cloak and undoing the fabric covering his lower body,

He growled her name in warning but as she began to stroke him roughly, the claws of his hand dug into his palm, drawing blood.

Suddenly she stopped, making him groan, however he watched as she took his hand turning it and giving a sound of disapproval before seductively licking away the blood he’d just drawn from his palm, drawing a frustrated moan from his throat.

He snatched her arm roughly and pulled her down to his level, pressing his lips roughly to hers, making her chuckle in dark triumph as they kissed.

Pushing him away her hand dove back to his groin and began to continue her previous actions, this time leaning close and kissing his neck, his breath fast and heavy against her cheek.

The moment was broken when a loud thud was heard, the pair tore apart from each-other.

Proxima got to her feet and quickly positioned herself so that Corvus was hidden from view as he set himself right while cursing under his breath.

A second later Cull Obsidian entered carrying two large crates of tools and supplies, rumbling something in his native language he held up the boxes

“yes, over there is fine”

Proxima gestured to a space near the centre of the ship for her teammate to place the boxes.

The huge, thick skinned creature once again spoke, and Corvus answered, getting to his feet

“Thank you for the message Cull.” he grumbled through gritted teeth

“Proxima, you shouldvgo see what Thanos wants from you before he gets impatient”

he turned to her and she nodded once. Cull Obsidian grumbled something to her as she went to leave and she looked up with an irritated stare

“We have a room of our own, yet we get no peace there either!” she snapped in response.

 

Days later the sounds of battle could be heard from the training rooms, Corvus and Proxima had been sparring for little over an hour.

The pair grunted as Proxima blocked his glaive with her spear and her arms trembled with the strain of holding his weight; the air around them charged with tension and energy.

Whether it was the adrenaline of the fight or the fact that they’d not had any privacy for weeks now, or perhaps a combination of both caused something to snap in both of them.

In perfect unison they lowered their weapons harshly as they leapt apart, with a chuckle Proxima raised her spear, a burst of black energy emanating from the three point.

In reaction to this a burst of fiery energy glimmered from the blade of Corvus’ own weapon. In a flash of light they swung their weapons, his fire meeting her black light, spear and glaive met loudly; merging the two bursts of energy for a moment before both burnt out.

The weapons were flung to the floor and Corvus pushed Proxima to the nearest wall where they stood so close that their chests heaving against each-others as they panted from exertion.

Proxima again captured his lips in her own and everything seemed to fall away causing them to lose themselves in sensation, bodies pressed against each-other, lips meeting in a heated touch-starved kiss, Corvus lifted her from the ground, and Proxima wrapped her legs around his waist with a deep moan.

Suddenly a third voice interrupted them

“Erm, ‘roxima, is ‘Grave’ hurting you?” a small voice asked,

Proxima quickly removed her legs from his waist and shoved her husband away before turned to the small nine year old staring at them

“Have you not heard of knocking?” the older woman demanded, the child blinked

“Not on the training room door” was her muffled reply, Nebula was far too old to suck her thumb, but there she stood, left hand to her mouth and Proxima looking unamused, reached to call back her spear while Corvus moved to retrieve his glaive,

“Aren’t you meant to be tending to your studies with the Maw?” he questioned tensely.

Nebula shrugged

“Got bored” she lisped. Proxima resisted the urge to roll her eyes,

“You know Father will be angry with you if he finds out, he expects obedience from us all, even you.” Proxima scolded icily,

As she spoke Ebony Maw entered the room “Indeed Proxima Midnight, and I believe you have something of mine” Maw demanded,

“Take her.” Proxima roughly pushed the nine year old over to Ebony Maw.

Nebula cried out in surprise when Ebony Maw used his telekinetic powers to lift her off her feet, she struggled as though physically bound, the Maw however ignored his young charge,

“Oh and I highly doubt Lord Thanos will appreciate the little life lesson you and Corvus were offering his newest pupil…should I choose to mention it that is” Ebony Maw threatened lazily.

Proxima narrowed her eyes but her husband remained unfazed,

“And I doubt he would be impressed that you allowed an infant to evade you when you were meant to be the one watching her” Corvus countered, moving to Proxima’s side, crossing his arms over his chest.

The Maw smiled thinly,

“Well played. The Outriders are restless Proxima. Perhaps a few drills would sate them for a while” the taller alien suggested.

As he left the room Proxima turned to Corvus, eyes desperately asking permission but Corvus gave a stern look in response,

“Now, now my dear, no murdering our siblings” Corvus reproached Proxima let her shoulders sag,

“You’re growing boring with your age” she replied stoically, Corvus gave a bark of laughter

“You believe so?” Corvus retorted, but her hungry smile made him forget whatever retort he had ready.

After hours of running the Outriders through some gruesome manoeuvres Proxima retired to her chambers for the evening – finding Corvus already waiting for her.

Almost desperate the couple made it to their bed, grasping and clawing at each other.

The sharp rapping of knuckles on their door made Corvus drop his hands heavily onto the bed and Proxima lean over his shoulder to scream into their pillow in frustration before swinging to her feet and raising her hands, curling her fingers like claws in anger she made her way to the door.

Wrapping Corvus’ cloak around her bare frame like a towel and hitting the control pad to open the doors she found Nebula, no longer sucking her thumb

“Maw wants to know if you’re busy, he’s come up with some new training techniques and wants you to be part of it.” the child informed.

she then noticed her older ‘sibling’ was not wearing her normal attire of leather and armour,

“Isn’t that Glaive’s cloak?” Nebula asked, pointing to the heavy black material.

Proxima could feel her patience slipping, ignoring the question entirely she glared down at Nebula,

“Tell Maw that I am busy! In fact, tell him you didn’t even find me at all if you can manage that at least.” Proxima insisted snippily,

Nebula considered this

“He said you would say that. What are you doing anyway?” Nebula demanded with childlike curiosity.

The thin thread  of patience Proxima possessed finally snapped

Corvus, now scram!” Proxima yelled furiously, giving the child a rough shove before closing the door, cursing loudly.

Chapter 6: GIFT part 1

Summary:

Proxima brings Corvus a momento from her latest mission

Chapter Text

Proxima Midnight knelt before Thanos’ throne, a pair of Chitauri placed a trunk in front of her, opening it so that the Mad Titan could study the contents; Fourteen decapitated, humanoid heads sat in three precise rows inside.

“I certainly would’ve preferred the leaders to have paid their tribute in a situation that did not lose me interest; however I tire of their excuses. You delivered a fitting warning to whomever they promote in these poor souls places, Proxima.” Thanos stated,

“You’ve shown good judgment Proxima Midnight. Take the chest to the slaughter deck and have them skinned. Report to the medical bay and then the night is your own.” Thanos ordered, Proxima remained emotionless, despite feeling pride swell in her chest at the compliment and got to her feet

“Thank you, Father, I’m glad to have pleased you.” she responded and Thanos nodded once

“Hm, and you are required to report to the medical bay once you have been to the slaughter deck” he clarified, of each member of the Black Order, Proxima was most likely to skip it if she felt there was no need for her to attend her medical exam unless order by Thanos himself.

Slightly put out, Proxima agreed, bowed and left.

After attending the mandatory medical examination Proxima made her way to her quarters with a leather drawstring bag in her hand.

As she passed the bed she dropped the bag in the center and proceeded to remove her boots and armor before rolling her neck, trying to rid herself of the twinge that had vexed her for the past hour.

The hiss of the steel door opening made her turn her head; Corvus had just entered and was taking off his trademark black cloak he noticed his wife’s armor on the floor

“you shall need to have that replaced, it’s badly dented” Corvus said in an off-hand manner.

Proxima looked to her husband “Not half as dented as my attackers spinal column, though shattered spinal column may be more accurate” Proxima retorted proudly

Corvus smirked.

Turning fully to face him, Proxima’s hand found the bag she had put aside earlier, sitting in the center of the bed she offered the bag to her husband, he raised an eyebrow and Proxima half rolled her eyes,

“There is no grenade inside” Proxima insisted,

“This time” she added after a pause.

Corvus raised an eyebrow “Forgive me for being wary” he said lowly,

to prove her point Proxima reached inside the bag to take the contents in the crook of her arm.

With a look of interest Corvus studied the object,

“You shouldn’t have” he said with a pleased tone, instead of answering Proxima slid closer to him on her knees and one hand.

Placing the skull before Corvus and kneeling back she waited for his response the skull she had brought to him was of normal size but with thick ram-like horns and Proxima’s boot print was still clearly visible in the grey-ish bone.

Taking the skull in one hand Corvus immediately swept across the room to place the skull on the window ledge along with the rest of his collection.

The satisfaction Proxima felt at gaining Thanos praise paled in comparison to the pride she felt at seeing her gift take center place among the rows of skulls that lined the window ledge of their chambers.

Chapter 7: GIFT part 2

Summary:

Corvus brings Proxima a gift after being away on a long mission

Chapter Text

Corvus Glaive entered the dark room as silently as possible, he had returned to the Sanctuary 2 after completing a mission that had lasted almost five months and after a long debrief with Thanos he’d finally been dismissed for the night.

Corvus stopped suddenly when something flew towards him in a flash of blue light, with the object becoming embedded in the wall just inches from where he stood.

Corvus looked to where the bed stood facing the center of the room, the domed light above the bed suddenly illuminated the room; Proxima Midnight was leaning up on one arm with the other half out-stretched in front of her, her spear detached from the wall and soared back to her but Corvus simply raised his eyebrows in her direction as she caught the spear in mid-air and placed it to one side while Corvus moved around the bed,

“an apt time for you to become a light sleeper, wife.” He commented, as he sat on the edge of the mattress in the space he normally occupied.

Proxima sat up “I wasn’t sleeping, I’d heard you were back; I waited for you” she stated.

Corvus smiled as he placed his glaive to one side as his wife had done with her spear.

When he turned back Proxima was arching her back to free a knotted muscle; her hair was a tangled mess of blue and the loose white t-shirt she wore was hanging off one shoulder; the word beautiful crossed his mind but in comparison to Proxima Midnight the word was bland, dull.

Without breaking his gaze from her Corvus leant across the bed to press his lips to hers.

Since her eyes had been closed so she was surprised for a moment but responded eagerly, her hands fell to Corvus’ shoulders and he braced a hand on the iron headboard above his wife’s’ head, deepening their kiss causing them both to moan.

Proxima grabbed the front of Corvus’ under-suit to pull his body closer she broke away, leaving them both breathless,

“what is that?” she asked between soft pants; Corvus gave a dry chuckle

“I’d almost forgotten” he commented before leaning back on his knees while still straddling Proxima.

He reached inside his cloak, producing the object that had dug into her chest when she’d pulled him closer, he offered it to his wife with one hand,

“A gift” he said

Proxima took the object from him.

Eyeballs bearing irises of various shapes and every color imaginable stared out lifelessly from behind the clear glass of the jar in Proxima’s hands, they’d clearly been placed with meticulous precision so that each one was visible and was so full that even as Proxima turned the container over in her hands each eye stayed firmly in place.

The horned female grinned as she inspected the shapes and colors,

“How is it that a single species can have such…diversity in just their eyes?” she asked quietly,

Corvus remained silent, simply watching her; she’d seen so little of the universe, the species that lived in it; Corvus never forgot this and from the day she agreed to become his he had promised he would show her as much of the universe as possible.

He never tired of seeing the way her face, usually impassive and emotionless, would light up in fascination or how her brow scrunched in confusion when confronted with something she found particularly odd or perplexing.

Right now she showed former; her eyes bright with uncontained excitement

“I love it” she stated before turning and placing the jar of the small table beside her, letting her fingers linger across the lid for a moment before sliding her arms around Corvus shoulders.

Her black lips brushing across his thinner, greyish ones

“You were gone a long time” she pointed out with a displeased tone, her hands, so brutal in combat, now whispered across his skin, sending intoxicating jolts through him.

Corvus leant in and nipped at the exposed skin of his wife’s’ neck with practiced care so that he wouldn’t cause the skin to bleed

“An inconvenience but a necessary one I’m afraid my dear Midnight” he replied,

his clawed hands wandering across Proxima’s bare shoulder where the neck of her over-sized shirt had slipped down, unsatisfied with that, his hands crept to the hem of her shirt to stroke across her waist, round to her back.

Proxima visibly leant in to his touch, since she’s been starved of it for so long she felt no shame in showing her need.

She stroaked the sensitive flesh under his eye with her thumb

“You look like you haven’t slept in all the time you’ve been gone. Tired my love?” she questioned, giving him the chance to stop if he so desired, but Corvus offered her a wicked grin

“Not a bit, you?” he countered, Proxima flicked the clasp of his cloak

“What do you think?” she retorted.

without another word Corvus pulled the shirt over her head and as soon as her arms where free of the sleeves she roughly pushed his cloak from his shoulders, this along with her shirt where tossed to one side.

With Corvus still straddling her waist she aided him in the removal of the rest of his clothing.

Chapter 8: RAIN

Summary:

She had seen so little of the universe. He'd promised to show her as much of it as possible

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Corvus keyed in the autopilot of the small mission ship he currently piloted – smaller than a Q ship but fast.

Corvus rolled his shoulders, listening to the joints pop and crack as he did so, glancing behind him he couldn’t stop the smile that graced his alien features; Proxima Midnight lay on the floor of the ship, her back against the wall and her knees drawn up slightly, one hand rested in front of her face while her other arm was stretched out a short way in front of her, Corvus’ cloak draped over her sleeping form.

She stirred to find Corvus on one knee beside her, with a hand on her shoulder, having shaken her awake, “I’ve just received a message from Thanos” he started, immediately alert Proxima sat up,

“What are our next orders?” she asked readily, but Corvus shook his head,

“Actually, he is exceptionally pleased with the success of the mission, he said we had once again proven our capabilities and loyalty. We’ve been given three weeks reprieve” Corvus explained as Proxima listened,

“So long? Did he anticipate that this mission was to be more of a challenge?” she asked humorously.

Corvus smirked “He implied that this could be our last reprieve for a long while – he is almost ready to execute his plan in obtaining the infinity stones,.” Corvus said in a low tone,

“The Order needs to be rested and clear headed if we’re to execute his plans for the Stones efficiently and bring Thanos to victory” he finished.

Proxima made a sound of agreement, “So, an entire month.” Proxima breathed, they been given reprieve before of course but rarely ever such a long period.

Corvus smiled, “Indeed, our time is our own.” he added “Rest for now, I shall wake you when we reach our destination.” Corvus offered, knowing Proxima enjoyed her sleep, and this mission had tired her greatly.

After half an hour Corvus woke Proxima and pointed out the planet they were heading to, a small, ringed planet on the edge of Thanos’ territory.

Proxima took the seat beside Corvus, regarding the planet from the front window

“I’ve never seen this one before” Proxima stated, Corvus shook his head

“Thanos razed it to nothing long before you joined the Order.” Corvus explained, the pair remained silent as they prepared to land.

When they did Proxima looked out at the land while Corvus simply watched as her eyes; bright and sharp as fragments of solid amber, widened in un-checked amazement, she got to her feet, leaning closer to the glass window of front the ship to get a better look.

Corvus gaze didn’t break from her as he spoke

“The air itself is breathable, but the land isn’t habitable.” He told her. The area itself was bare, and it was clear that the entire planet was in the same state, but the ground was un-naturally smooth and deep red like blood!

Without taking his eyes off of her, and moving carefully, Corvus got to his feet hoping not to disturb her, he pulled out two pairs of boots from a utility locker, abandoning his own clawed leather boots for the ones he’d retrieved, he went back to his wife, reluctant to interrupt her moment of fascination

“Here” Corvus offered the second pair of boots to her

“The planet’s surface will melt the ones you’re wearing and burn the flesh from your feet without them” he added.

As soon as she was ready Corvus took her hand, leading her down the runway of the ship, Proxima looked at the ground where she could make out their reflections silhouetted against the dark red surface, as they walked nothing crunched or broke under their feet, they may as well have been walking on thick tinted glass.

Corvus spoke after a few minutes silence,

“The terrain is too unstable to build supply warehouses or docks for the Q ships, and the land, too toxic, too…”

Corvus lifted his glaive, the only weapon they had between them, and slammed it down hard yet still nothing broke or even moved, there was only a loud echoing clang that rang out around them

“…unyielding, for greenery or wildlife to inhabit.” Corvus explained, once again Proxima was captivated by her surroundings; incredibly high cliff faces, with smooth faces and ledges encased the pair in a cul-de-sac of blood-red walls.

Curling his long claws around Proxima hand, toying with her fingers, Corvus spoke again and Proxima turned face him,

“There is still so much of the universe you haven’t had the chance to see, my dearest Midnight, I once promised I would to show it to you; I intent to keep that promise until you’re satisfied.” Corvus told her

Their eyes met in a loving gaze, Proxima brought her hands to his shoulders

“And I thank you for it, truly, my Corvus” Proxima declared, their faces drew closer, lips meeting in a slow, deep kiss.

A moment passed before Proxima suddenly pulled away, “Did you feel something?” she questioned, rolling her eyes slightly when Corvus snarled lowly, muffling a lewd chuckled by pressing his face to her neck, receiving a sharp hit on the back of the head from Proxima,

“No! I meant…”

before she could finish she caught the sensation again; of something landing on her arm.

Corvus glanced up for a split second “Right on time” he grinned

Proxima followed his glance upwards; sure enough, it had started to rain, but as she caught sight of it running down Corvus’ cheek she saw that it too was red, by now it had started to come down harder; pelting the couple with thick droplets of red; dark red, like blood.

Proxima’s mouth broke into a smile, a real smile that reached her eyes as she leant her head back and was showered with the red liquid that fell from the sky, as well as being red it was also warmer than normal rain should be.

Despite the astounding spectacle of blood rain, Corvus only had eyes for Proxima Midnight.

 

She often hid it well but she loved seeing and learning of new things, but she would show it openly when they were alone, and he never tired of seeing the way her face lit up at each and every new experience and lesson.

By now the red rain was running down both their bodies in tiny rivulets that met and divided in the angles of their bodies. Still smiling Proxima’s gaze returned to her husband, her eyes displaying none of the battle-hungry warrior she was, instead there was only gratitude, as well as that singular, individual look of adoration she would give him, a look no other in the universe could hope to emulate to a partner.

This look alone seemed to pull Corvus to her, like some undiscovered gravitational pull he couldn’t resist even if he wanted to.

“Thanos can have his Infinity Stones; let him have control over Time, Space…Reality itself…so long as the universe is mine to offer you.” Corvus proclaimed, his hands grasping her waist, a hand moving through Proxima’s hair, wet and darkened a few shades due to the unrelenting crimson downpour.

Here and now, there was nothing else, just the two of them, standing on a deserted planet, lost in each other amongst a sea of blood.

Notes:

Based on a head-cannon I have that Proxima is naturally inquisitive because she hasn't seen as much of the universe or its different planets and races as Corvus has andwhen they got married he promised to show her as much of it as he could.

Chapter 9: GAMBLE

Summary:

Proxima and Corvus play a game of cards

Chapter Text

On a rare evening of leisure Proxima and Corvus sat on the bed they shared, each holding a hand of five cards each, they were different from Terran (Earthling) cards however, Daggers took the place of Clubs, and Spades were replaced with Spears, Skulls instead of Diamonds and Warlords instead of Jacks. What remained the same where the king, Queen, Ace and Hearts though the image of a Heart was a more accurate, bloodier representation.

Corvus picked up a card,

“How did you even come across this particular game by the way?” he questioned

both boots and his left gauntlet now missing, Proxima chuckled slyly as she eyed the cards in her hand,

“From a Ravager I met on Contraxia, before we were together” she told him, Corvus watched her place a card on the pile

“I should think so. But was there such a time? I have no recollection” 

Proxima laughed, she sat with the top of her black leather cat-suit rolled down, sleeves tied around her waist, revealing the black strapless bra she wore underneath.

Her arms were also free of gold plated armor and her white chest plate tossed to the floor at the end of the bed. Her dark blue hair was also pulled into a high ponytail, letting the tresses brush the nape of her neck, she rarely ever wore it in this style normally preferring to let her hair hang loose.

Proxima removed one of her boots, and picked up two cards. On her next turn she put down an Ace,

“Spears to Daggers.” she chose.

Gathering her cards in one hand and folding it under her chin she indicated lazily towards her husband; watching as he flicked the clasp at his throat and shrugged away the heavy cloak, dropping it to the floor.

Underneath, Corvus wore black leather pants, long sleeved under-suit and a black vest that opened at the front like a jacket.

The game continued and Proxima, now missing her boots and one of her gloves, watched as Corvus placed another card,

“You’re not going to last much longer in this little game of yours” he stated,

He saw Proxima’s calm expression falter, her bottom lip caught between her teeth.

“Considering a forfeit, my dear?” he questioned, hoping to cast aside the ridiculous game and take her.

Proxima’s eyes flashed dangerously

“Never” she spat, as if the idea itself where poison.

She met her husband’s gaze challengingly, setting her cards face down.

Getting to her feet she slowly untied the sleeves of her suit and peeled the article of clothing from her body dropping it one side dramatically,

“Is this what you wanted, my love?” she queried with fake innocence.

Looking down at her husband and finding his breathing rapid and his pupils dilated  she smirked

“Perhaps you would like to forfeit?” she suggested

Corvus swallowed thickly, shifting in his seat, his eyes most of all betrayed his desire.

Corvus watched hungrily as she sat back down, she was actively keeping her movements slow and languid to keep his attention.

She flashed him a lustful look, crossing one lithe leg over the other and grinning..

Within the next few turns Corvus shed his remaining gauntlet and picked up eight cards, under the table Proxima’s foot had started to creep up his leg

“Sadist” he hissed.

His wife smiled

“You know you love it. I believe that would make you a masochistic. ” she quipped,

Savoring the word as it left her mouth and
chuckling when Corvus hand roughly knocked her foot away from where it had come dangerously close to his groin.

 

Proxima was still wearing the black strapless bra and one of her gloves which reached her elbow.

When she moved her eyes away to study her cards, she could feel every part of her skin tingle under her husbands’ penetrative gaze Proxima placed her next card Corvus was forced to remove his thick leather vest and pick up two cards.

The game went on and Proxima now held five cards still in her hand, Corvus had three.

He placed down a dark warlord and without a word Proxima picked up eight cards, she moved to take off her glove but chamged her mind at the last moment.

She reached up and pulled her hair free, letting it fall in a messy tangle to her shoulders and flicking the hair-tie in her husbands’ direction; he caught it in his fist before throwing it away,

“That. Doesn’t count.” he insisted

Proxima saw the muscle that twitched in his temple, she smirked while carding her fingers through the loose tangles

“It does now” she stated, because of Corvus’ eight of Skulls she was forced to miss her turn.

Corvus placed a five of Daggers

“Final Card” he stated as per the rules and Proxima laughed

Placing an Ace of Spears, she met his gaze in an attempted to read his expression, trying to gage what her next move should be in order to re-gain the upper hand

“Skulls” she decided after a considerate pause.

 

Holding his last card between his claws and never taking his eyes away from his wife Corvus placed down his card; a King of Skulls.

“I win.” He concluded

Proxima’s face fell in shock, “What?!” her eyes darted up to her husband and down at the cards in her hands again before tossing them down on the table.

Corvus grinned, “Too bad my love, you put up a very good fight I must say, but you seemed to lose your edge after a while.” He stated,

he reached across to run the back of one claw down her cheek, cackling when she bat his hand away, recoiled from the touch and turned away from him, almost petulant in her attitude much to Corvus’ amusement.

He got to his feet slowly

“I do hope you didn’t let me win, did you my dear Midnight?”

 He started to circle the bed, kicking his gauntlet out of his way he came to stand behind Proxima, who kept her gaze cast down, glaring at her pile of cards.

Putting his fingers down one by one until his hands rested on her shoulders, grinning when she shivered as he rubbed smoothly at the soft skin.

Proxima touched her bottom lip with the tip of her tongue for a split second,

“Why would I do that?” she breathed, determined not to look at him just yet

“I have my own ways of getting what I want” she insisted lifting her eyes to meet his,

When Corvus moved his hands down her arms, she openly shuddered, arching in to his touch.

Corvus leant down, lips brushing her neck,

“And what do you want?” he whispered.

Proxima forced herself to stay ridged as his teeth brushed her neck, one arm encircling across her.

Proxima’s breathing hitched

“Winning always puts you in a very generous mood, my love. The way I see it…I win either way” she told him.

Corvus simply raised an eyebrow

“you didn’t answer my question.” Corvus reminded tightening his grip slightly,

“Try again. Did you let me win?” he demanded in a low tone, sending delighted shivers through Proxima’s spine,

“No” she murmured, with affirming purr Corvus continued

“hm. Then ou like it when I win?” he asked while dragging a hand up her throat and Proxima lent her head back so that it rested against his torso, rolling her head so that she could face him,

“Yes” she replied through gritted teeth.

Corvus moved so that he was leaning over her, a daring hand crept across the area where her horn met her head, her lips parted and she gasped in both enjoyment and surprise.

He knew exactly how sensitive the area was and delighted in using it against her.

Proxima moaned as Corvus continued to carressher, in every way except the places she wanted it most. He was taking great enjoyment in her almost desperate state

"You like losing, to me?" he demanded

Proxima shuddered under his fingertips, hesitating until his claws ghosted across her neck drawing out the admission from her lips

"yes"she retorted.

Corvus continued calmly

“What. Do. You Want.” He demanded.

Proxima spun around, sitting high enough on her knees that she was eye level to Corvus, taking his face in her hands she crashed her lips against his before drawing away only enough to give her answer

“More” she urged,

Corvus gathered her to his chest making a low sound in the back of his throat, her hair was heavy in his hand as his fingers where dragged up through it so his palm could cradle the back of her head as they kissed heatedly.

Chapter 10: MEETING

Summary:

Proxima joins the Black Order and meets Corvus Glaive for the first time

Notes:

Edited! just some mild tweeks to Proxima's age etc

Chapter Text

In an effort to gain favour with Thanos, the Grandmaster, ruler of Sakkaar invited the Mad Titan to witness his contest of champions. Always on the lookout for strong fighters to join his cause Thanos accepted, taking along Corvus Glaive; First General of the Black Order.

Thanos conversed with the Grandmaster who pointed out a potential champion, while Corvus leant against the back of chair, one ankle propped on the opposite knee, waving away an attractive female attendant carrying a tray of glasses filled with wine.

Corvus observed the fights with little enthusiasm; each time a fighter showed promise they were defeated by the next contestant over and over again but these where just performers, for lack of a better term, warming up the crowd before the main event. Finally it came to the champions fight and the Grandmaster stood to make his speech to the crowds,

“Wow! Look at all of you. What a show, WHAT A NIGHT, What a night but now, without further ado its main event time! Making her first appearance, that’s right; her, ladies and gentlemen! She looks quite promising, see what you think; I give to you…Proxima Midnight!” he introduced enthusiastically.

Corvus rolled his eyes beneath the hood of his cloak at such embellishment and needless posturing, and refocused his gaze on the stadium as the first fighter entered.

A young woman, not yet in her twenties, stepped into the stadium, she was slender with deep blue hair that brushed her jaw, and two horns protruded from her temples then curled back close to her head.

She was dressed in white and blue armor. In her right hand she was carrying a simple steel handled spear over her shoulder, completely ignoring the crowd.

Meanwhile the Grandmasters champion; Costel, entered the stadium; he was head and shoulders taller than his opponant, and with a thick hide that reinded Corvus of his brother by blood, Cull Obsidian.

Costel roared as he swung his long tail, that held a spiked iron ball attached to the tip, and glared threateningly in Proxima Midnight’s direction, thrashing his tail to and fro, in response she swung her spear through the air in front of her in a wide semi-circle, taking her start position.

The fight began and at first it seemed as though the females’ shorter size and basic weaponry choice would be her downfall.

Her opponent, Costel had hit her to the ground multiple times, leaving her with cuts and bruises but each time the female got to her feet and continued to fight.

The crowd cheered as Costel swung his tail and Proxima ducked to avoid the spiked ball, Costel threw Proxima’s feet out from under her and she cried out as she landed on her front, hard.

But as her opponent raised his foot, ready to crush her spine, she rolled out of the way at the last second, grabbed her spear and brought it down through his foot! Costel shrieked as the blade was ripped out just as suddenly as it had gone through.

Out of the corner of his eye Thanos saw Corvus Glaive lean forward in his seat, his sharp elbows resting on his knees, finally looking intrigued.

As the fight continued it seemed there was much more to this Proxima Midnight than previously thought and with that in mind Thanos had an idea,

“My friend” 

The Grandmaster turned to the large Titan, whi went on

“Are you a gambling man?” Thanos questioned.

With an excited grin, The Grandmaster listened carefully to what Thanos had to say, while Corvus was  too engrossed in the unfolding fight to hear any of it.

Back in the arena Proxima Midnight raised her spear to defend herself from Costel’s mace, only for his tail to become wrapped around the handle.

Smirking, Proxima pulled hard, Costel stumbled towards her and Proxima leapt into the air, delivered a kick to Costel’s face, causing him to overbalance, she tried to stab him with her spear but he dodged it just in time, the spears end became embedded in the floor of the stadium.

The crowd was on its feet, cheering and yelling while Proxima tried to dislodge her spear, only the kick Costel delivered sent her rolling across the dusty floor.

Rising quickly she slipped under his arm and attempted to crawl back to get her spear but her ankle was grabbed and she was hauled back, Proxima felt the bone in her ankle crack under the crushing force of Costel’s, with a cry of pain she kicked out with her free foot, catching Costel in the eye, and he dropped her.

Proxima dove for her spear, grabbing the handle just as the creature lunged for her dislodging her spear she swung it above her head, closing her eyes and turning away as Costel came down upon her.

Her final cry echoed through the stadium, mixing with the roar issued from her opponent.

The crowd fell silent, Thanos shifted forward slightly n his seat, while the crowd got to its feet, and  the Grandmaster and Corvus were on the edge of their seats, looking down in shock.

Breathing heavily she slowly opened her eyes

Costel hung limply from the end of Proxima Midnights’ spear; the blade had pierced his mouth and was now protruding from the back of his skull causing blood to pour down the handle and drip onto Proxima’s face.

 The crowd erupted into cheers once more.

Realizing she had triumphaned, and taking a deep breath, Proxima flung the corpse to one side and pulled her spear free, swinging it once so that flesh and thin green blood splattered across the floor.

Proxima limped away way to where she had entered the Stadium and disappeared from sight.

Thanos looked to the Grandmaster and smirked while the Grandmaster slowly broke his gaze from the Stadium, with shock and horrorwritten across his face.

Down in the cells where the fighters were kept, Proxima sat on the dirty floor, knees touching her chest and her right arm resting on them, she was exhausted from the fight but pleased with its result.

The sound of the door opening caused Proxima to crack her eyes open slightly, it would be meal time soon and with twelve or so other contestants in the cell with her, she would have to be fast if she wanted to eat at all.

But instead of a guard holding a tray, a lanky grey skinned male wearing a tattered black cloak entered the room with a weapon holstered to his back.

He ignored the contestants, other than to scan a face or two until he caught sight of her, swiftly kicking out at a contestant that didn’t move out of his way, he made his way over to Proxima who watched him carefully

“You were up in the Stands, with the Titan and The Grandmaster”

The hooded figure nodded

“I was."

As he spoke Proxima caught sight of a row of needle sharp teeth

“Browsing? You look like one who likes their meals fresh.” She remarked, inclineng her head to the other contestants.

Corvus observed the strange girl

 “You think me cannibalistic? Why?” he questioned, with genuine interest.

Of all the ways he thought this would go, this conversation hadn’t even crossed his mind.

Proxima shrugged, still leaning, entirely relaxed, against the wall

“You just have that look, no offense” she quipped

“So, what are you, the Titan’s lackey or something?”

A growl erupted from the males throat.

Proxima tensed but made no other movement and through gritted teeth Corvus answered

“I am the first General of Thanos, child…” he snapped, though the girl could only be a few years younger than himself

“A member of the Great Titan’s Black Order.” He added firmly.

By now he was standing only a few steps away, towering over Proxima Midnight.

She looked up at the General unwaveringly, in fact a miniscule smile tugged at the corners of her mouth

“Proxima Midnight. The Grandmasters Champion” She introduced, with a sarcastic, grand gesture.

A sharp bark of laughter was heard to the left, another male contestant, crouching like a toad in the corner, had been listening in and was now laughing

“You think you will be named a true Champion, that you will be given the champions privileges?” the male laughed again.

A muscle in Proxima’s eye twitched, the crouching male watched her in amusement

“There’s no female champions girl, you’ll have the title until someone worthier decapitates you in the stadium but you won’t be getting out of this cell in your lifetime-“

The taunt was cut off when the cell door opened, a large trey was hastily placed on the floor by an admired guard; the trey contained a few cracked, wooden bowls.

Immediately the guard was gone and the inhabitants were scrambling and clawing at each other to get their fill of food.

The contestant who had spoken to Proxima also lurched forward, hoping for a decent sized pirtion, while she turned back to Corvus Glaive

“Excuse me a moment.”

Slowly, her hand reached for a large stone beside her, quick as lighting she threw it.

The projectile hit the male who had been taunting her; the sound of his skull cracking filled the room and he fell down dead in a pool of blood.

Proxima got to her feet and strolled toward the now still and silent group surrounding the tray of food. Some cowered while others simply stared as the female took the largest, fullest bowl in her hands and walked back to her place by the wall calmly.

He kept his features stoic yet Corvus couldn’t help but be slightly impressed, nownthat he was seeing her up close, he realized that she couldn’t have been much more than seventeen cycles old...ninteen at a stretch, yet she killed as though she had been born to it.

A rare quality.

Proxima Midnight sat back down in front of him with the bowl in her lap

“If you aren’t finished talking you don’t mind if I eat while you do?” she asked, only to start eating anyway regardless of his answer

Corvus eyed the unappetising sludge within the bowl: it looked like a vile hybrid of soup and stew, and looked and smelt cold.

Corvus went on

“Thanos sent me to speak with you. He asks if you enjoy the life you have here?” he demanded.

Proxima laughed; an empty, emotionless sound

“I live in a cell, with two cold meals a day if I’m lucky. Anyone of these…” she gestured to her group of squabbling cell mates,

“…Would kill me in my sleep without a second thought” 

Having already finished her sorry excuse of a meal, she set the bowl to one side, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand

“I hate my life here”

Her amber eye flashed and Corvus saw the fierce, raw look in her eyes.

He decided to take a gamble

“Then why not let your opponent put you out of your misery? Or take that spear you used and put it through your own chest?” he suggested harshly.

Proxima glared straight back at him

“My life may be pitiful, but I would rather be alive and miserable than be nothing but a corps to be disposed of” she insisted.

Corvus narrowed his eyes as he considered her.

“We’ll talk again.”

With that he turned and began stalking towards the door.

Proxima leant her head back against the wall

“Like I’m going anywhere” she spat with distain.

Craning her neck to watch the stranger leave, she

“What are you called?”  

She only half expected him to acknowledge hequestion, but the General turned back.

Brefly, he considered leaving without deigning to answer, yet she was gazing at him, black lips parted with such a genuine, unashamed curiosity. Her amber eyes bore into his and ,he felt unable to what he intended and when he finally spoke it was with an odd, disassociated feeling

“I am Corvus Glaive”

With that he exited the cell. Proxima rested her head back against the wall, drifting into a light sleep, testing the name of the stranger on her lips

"Corvus Glaive" 

 

 

Chapter 11: ENDING

Summary:

Some interaction I wish my OTP had gotten in Endgame.

Chapter Text

While Thanos waited on the ground for his youngest adopted daughter Nebula to bring him the Infinity Stones after infiltrating the head-quarters’ of the Avengers.

Corvus, with his glaive holstered on his back, stood at the front of the Sanctuary 2 watching from the large window, Thanos had commanded the Black Order to convene there and await further instructions.

The first General of the Order observed the wreckage that was the Avengers facility without emotion, even as he felt his wife Proxima approaching from behind, he didn’t move. Proxima stood tall beside her husband with an equally stoic expression, the glow of her spear illuminating the dimly lit cock-pit in blue light

Proxima finally broke the stretch of silence

“The Maw and Obsidian are on their way”

,Corvus grunted in response but said nothing, his back, like Proxima’s, was ram-rod straight, every muscle tense; ready to move at their masters call without question.

Proxima let her fierce, orange eyes flicker briefly from the decimated facility to her husband, returning her gaze ahead of her before he could see.

She’d known him long enough to know when there was something he wanted to say but was hesitating

“If you have something to say now would be the time”

Her husband sighed deeply, his chest and shoulders the only part of him that seemed to move,

“Our master is close to reaching his goal, after all these years” Corvus started, keeping his eyes forward just as Proxima did

“Hm” she nodded once.

Out of the corner of her eye Proxima saw the claws of her husbands’ hand twitch and, closing the small gap between their bodies, she clasped his twitching hand in her own steadier one.

His griip was so tight it came close to crossing the border into being painful, even for her, but Proxima welcomed it nonetheless.

Corvus finally looked at her, taking in her facial features; black, ridged horns that curled up from her cheekbones and ended near her scalp, the wide, black marking that swept over the bridge of her nose and across her forehead, it’s dark colour made her orange eyes seem that much brighter.

With her head still facing forward Corvus could just about make out the line tattooed from her bottom lip to the tip of her chin, how many nights had they lain together and he had kissed that very spot until he’d drawn laughter from her?

Many would think a hardened general of the Black Order incapable of such a sound, but Corvus knew otherwise – he was the only one she allowed to see that way, only he knew the sound of Proxima Midnights’ laughter; not the bloodthirsty snigger of a victorious sadistic warrior but laughter in its truest form.

Proxima finally broke her gaze from the ground below, where she could see Thanos sitting on a large slab of rubble waiting for his third adopted daughter; pathetic, desperate Nebula, to bring him his prize, and her eyes met her husbands, tilting her head slightly she was about to speak when Corvus slid his hand from hers just as Cull Obsidian and Ebony Maw entered, the Telekinetic doing nothing to hide the traces of disapproval in his otherwise indifferent features.

When Thanos gave the signal for the Order tonready  his army of Chitauri, metallic Leviathan’s and snarling Outriders, and there was a flurry of activity.

However Corvus quickly grabbed his wife’s arm 

"Proxima-"

She faced him, only to be met with such a deep, meaningful expression, a thousand words wanting and needing to be said yet he remained silent.

She felt her throat constrict tightly, though she refused to show it, and instead  lifted a hand to his cheek

“I know” 

Deep down, in the most private, hidden  part of her heart, Proxima feared that by saying it, by acting as though it was the last time they would speak it would be tempting fate, maybe by not saying it, it would keep them safe.

But as attune to each other as  they were, after all this time, there was no need for words, no demand for one, possibly final, proclamation of love..

Still, Corvus pulled her to him and they shared a short but loving kiss, it was over in a second and moments later the pair where standing beside their fellow Black Order members, ready to battle Earths mightiest heroes for the six infinity stones.

*

Proxima watched in horror as Chitauri, Leviathans and Outriders alike faded to ash.

She was sitting on the sides’ of her knees with her husband cradled in her arms; he’d been injured in battle and it was taking some time for the glaive to mend the wound.

But as Proxima looked around she realized this was it – this was the end…for Thanos, his army…for herself and her husband…Proxima gasped audibly as she watched Ebony Maw fall to his knees before their master, reaching out in a silent plea.

In a rare show of fear and Protectivness Proxima held Corvus tighter and heard him speak

“Is it done?” he questioned, apparently delusional and unaware of what was truely happening,

“Have we brought victory to our master?”

His voice thick, and his breathing heavy.

She dared not look at her husband in that moment, nitnwanting him to see the fear and panic inherited eyes.

Instead she met the gaze of Thanos who simply stared in shock as his army, his loyal Generals were reduced to dust.

Proxima finally answered

“Yes" and looked down at Corvus only to find, to her horror, that, he too was disappearing!

Panic surged in her veins and, curling her body over her husbands, she tried to swallow the lump in her throat

“Yes my love, we have succeeded. It is done.” she promised.

Corvus wanted to lift a hand to her cheek, noticing the tears that  clung to the corners of her eyes but he could no longer feel his own limbs

"Do not weep for me, dear Midnight. The glaive will return me to you soon enough." He raised, forcing a smile.

A broken sob left Proxima as she leant her forehead to his, slowly feeling  her own body tingle and gradually become numb as she and Corvus Glaive evaporated into dust – together, until the very end.

Chapter 12: RETURN

Summary:

Corvus' regeneration takes longer than usual and it's stressing Proxima out

Chapter Text

Proxima Midnight hadn’t slept in days, the month long mission she and her husband had just returned from had left her aching and exhausted yet she refused to let her body rest. With her own duties, as well as her strict training routine, she had also taken on Corvus’ workload for as long as necessary and since Proxima had hardly been sleeping it gave her more time to keep up with her added duties. Finally Thanos had insisted his second General return to her quarters to rest.

Reaching up to run a hand over one of the black, ridged horns she possessed Proxima sighed, she was dressed in a simple black robe with long sleeves that hugged her muscles, while the hem of the robe reached passed her knees; the material was worn with age but it was soft and comfortable. With no work to occupy herself with Proxima lingered by the window admiring the collection of skulls that rested on the ledge beneath it, they were Corvus’ collection, his trophies; mementos of past glories.

The skulls, both humanoid and otherwise, sat in two meticulously neat rows with the five larger ones at the back and eight smaller ones in front, Proxima let her nails trail over the cranium of one of the smaller skulls,

‘They’ve grown dusty already’ she thought to herself.

She briefly considered cleaning them; it would give her something to do, but decided against it.

 

When Corvus finally returned he would need a day or so to regain his strength, and if he had nothing to occupy his time while he rested then he would most likely refuse to and cause himself more damage, he was often irritable when he had nothing take up his time, so polishing his skull collection would keep him occupied while he recovered.

Stepping away from the window Proxima looked to the large bed in the centre of the room, it had been neatly made by a slave in their absence and had remained unslept in since their return.

Corvus’ weapon, the glaive which granted his regenerative abilities rested atop the bed covers, exactly where it had lain for the past five days now – with Proxima guarding it as she waited, waited for…something…a sign, anything.

Corvus Glaive had died many times, once in the time Proxima had first joined the order, three in the years she and Corvus had been married.

The first time had been a shock, but she barely had any kind of relationship with Corvus at the time and when Thanos had explained that the death wasn’t permanent, Proxima had taken it in her stride.

She had cried the second time, in the privacy of their room, they’d not long been married and it had shaken her. Thanos, in a rare show of compassion, had relieved his first adopted daughter of her duties and warned the rest of the order to leave her be until Corvus had regenerated.

And the third time Corvus had died, which had been almost five years ago, Proxima requested that she be allowed to take over her husband’s duties on top of her own.

Thanos had indulged her request and she quickly proved herself to be more than capable, that is until her inner anxiety had erupted in a burst of anger, this had let to Proxima getting a sever reprimand and loss of certain privileges.

That same anxiety coiled inside her now, for almost a week she had been carrying on as though nothing was different, but Corvus’ regeneration was taking longer this time, and Proxima Midnight was becoming more unnerved by the day.

Pressing the heal of her hand to her forehead in distress, she exhaled sharply,

“Where are you, Corvus?” she muttered, walking around the bed before sliding onto the mattress to sit close to the glaive that rested there.

Dragging the back of her hand across the gold handle of the weapon until she reached the base of the blade, she turned her hand to draw her fingers across the flat surface of the blade. Proxima grit her teeth, what if this time it didn’t work? What if this time the glaive didn’t return her husband to her? she shook her head,

‘no, I won’t think like that! There’s still time” she told herself silently.

she was Proxima Midnight, part of the Black Order, a general of Thanos, she’d killed, maimed, tortured with her bare hands, obliterated entire planets! Yet…now, sitting on the bed she shared with her husband, she caressed the handle and blade, her touch as loving as it would be if she were touching her lovers flesh.

When there was still no difference the next morning Proxima became even more unpredictable and on edge.

Chitauri soldiers scrambled in her wake during drills.

By midday Cull Obsidian was actively keeping out of her way.

By evening she’d tested even Ebony Maws patience and several pieces of equipment in the training rooms where in need of repairs and replacement.

Slamming her hand down on the control pad to open the steel sliding door that led to her chambers, repeating the action to close the door once she’d stalked inside, she was greeted with the sight she’d been longing for; the skeleton of Corvus Glaive, skin stretching as it fused over bone.

Hesitating only for a second, Proxima marched to the bathroom, fetching a glass cup and filling it with water from the tap. As she re-entered the bedroom she found her husband to be more recognisable, though his skin was translucent, straining over brittle bones, and a bloodied gash formed where his mouth should be.

Proxima placed the glass of water on the table beside the bed, sitting on the edge of the mattress; she waited with anticipation and concern.

Half an hour passed, slowly Corvus body reformed and healed; his bones where no longer visible, only thin blue/green veins that began pumping blood through his body.

Proxima almost jumped when strangled breaths escaped Corvus’ half healed lungs, his back arched as he loudly drank in vital oxygen as eagerly as a drowning man.

After a few long moments he fell back against the bed shuddering, when he tried to speak his words where indecipherable as his voice box and throat weren’t quiet healed yet.

Proxima placed a hand to her husbands ridged brow

, “Sh, rest easy my love, it’s me” she soothed, Corvus opened his eyes, which were no more than gory looking slits in his head, he gave another rattled breath, Corvus blindly felt for Proxima’s hand, which she slid into his with ease.

A few more minutes passed before Corvus attempted to speak again,

“How- how long…?” he asked, his throat felt dry and sore from where the skin had nit itself back together.

Proxima’s thumb traced his forehead,

“About six days now. Here, drink” she replied, taking the glass of water from the table, tilting it just enough for him to take a few short sips before she put it back down as Corvus made a sound of gratitude, the cool water relieving some of the dryness in his throat. .

With a stiff groan, Corvus shifted his position, regarding his wife with partly regenerated eyes, she gave his hand a reassuring squeeze before getting to her feet, she removed her leather boots and white chest plate, leaving her in just her black all in one suit.

As she turned back to him, he offered her a half smile, and Proxima already felt a large amount of stress leave her shoulders, and her stance became visibly more relaxed.

Settling herself beside him Proxima lifted one of his clawed hands to her lips, Corvus eyes, which had now fully reformed, met her own

“My love” he started, curling his hand tighter around hers

“Why do you worry for me so? You now I’ll always return to you” he reminded her, Proxima didn’t move

“I know my love, but you cannot fault me for fearing for the life of the person I hold most dear to me” she replied, Corvus shifted slightly,

“My Lady Midnight I doubt there is anything I could fault you for. Least of all that." he murmured tiredly, smirking when Proxima turned away briefly, clearly flattered by the comment.

Her mouth curlied into a smile, only for Corvus to brush away an errant tear that escaped Proxima’s eye.

“So beautiful. Come, lie with me...?” Corvus requested, pulling her down so that she lay against his chest as sleep gradually claimed him.

Proxima finally allowed herself to do the same, the glaive had done its job and returned her husband to her.

Chapter 13: ASHES

Summary:

What if Thanos had sent Proxima and Corvus to take the soul stone instead?

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“I still do not see why you would not let me drive.” She commented, propping her head with one hand.

Corvus Glaive piloted the small ship while Proxima sat, looking bored in the seat next to him

"For one, you do not know where we are heading. For another we are not currently being fired at by enemy cruisers.” Corvus answered simply.

While perfectly capable of piloting or even simply engaging the auto-pilot and tracking systems, Proxima was more suited to  fast, evasive manoeuvres when needed, she could be brash, impulsive and that made her an unpredictable if not downright dangerous pilot.

“I am not as bad as you seem to believe” Proxima insisted

One lingering, incredulous look from Corvus made her consider her words for a moment.

Proxima shrugged

“Well, if I had been piloting we would most likely be at our destination by now”

Her husband looked back out in-front of him

“In several pieces” Corvus quipped

Proxima offered only an unamused glair in response, but clearly she was visibly struggling to keep this expression in place 

A short while later Corvus maneuvered the Q ship into the planets orbit.

“We’re here” he stated

“Vormir.”

 

The pair crossed the barren sands, heading for the mountain ranges.

Upon reaching the mouth of a cave at the base of the mountain Proxima raised her spear, pointing the glowing blue prongs in front of them to aid their sight in the dark, wet tunnel.

Suddenly a voice greeted the pair, echoing through the caverns

“Welcome, Corvus Glaive, and Proxima Midnight; children of Thanos.” 

Proxima tensed and Corvus raised his glaive, both ready for an attack

Corvus spoke first

“You know us, how?”  he demanded.

 Proxima glanced around, pointed her spear in various directions, trying to catch sight of whomever was speaking.

The voice continued

“It is my duty to know of all who journey to this place.”

A figure materialized a short distance away from them  with black billowing robes, an unnerving visage  that was red and skeletal.

“The soul stone is what you seek. But you do not know the mountains of Vormir; I am to be your guide.”

The figure  turned and began  walking up a large set of stone steps. Corvus watched the figure with mistrust before sharing a glance with Proxoma, theu slowly lowered their weapons and followed the stranger, butnkepntheir with about them just in case.

Red Skull, the stone-keeper, spoke as he led the way.

The two generals were lead to the top of the maintain range which consisted of a large flat surface with two great pillars standing in perfect symmetry with each other.

Red Skull lead them nnearer to the edge

“Long ago, I too sought the Soul the power of the Stone; it cast me out and I became the stones keeper; guiding others to a treasure I cannot possess.” 

He stopped, with Proxima and Corvus doing the same a few moments later.

Proxima glanced around

“Well?” 

She had already failed to acquire a stone for Thanos once, she was not going to fail a second time.

Corvus had moved to the edge to stare over into the abyss below them.

Red Skull  spoke once more 

“Two things lie in front of you Corvus Glaive. What you seek, and what you fear”

Proxima eyed the stranger suspiciously, but moved to stand at the edge beside her husband.

The breeze hit her harder and colder than expected, it blew her hair back and Corvus’ tattered cloak lift and brush around his ankles as they stared down before turning back to Red Skull.

Proxima was the first to speak

“And this is..?"

She raised her weapon once more as Red Skull began to move in a half circle around the pair

“The Soul stone holds a special place among the Infinity stones. It has a certain…wisdom you could say.” he replied stoically.

Proxima was losing her patience

“continue speaking your riddles and I shall pitch you over this cliff myself” Proxima spat in frustration at Red Skull, who remained unfazed.

Proxima glared threateningly at him while Corvus finally broke his gaze from the black abyss and stepped towards The Stone Keeper, visibly calmer than his partner

“Tell us what it means” he insisted, lifting his spear a few inches from the ground but not welding it in threat as Proxima did.

When he replied Red Skull’s voice remained flat

“In order to ensure that the possessor of the stone truly understands its power, a sacrifice must be made.”

Proxima approached to close to her husband, and swallowed thickly, uncertainty evident

Corvus asked the obvious question 

“What manner of sacrifice?” he inquired, wary of the Keepers answer

His caution was felt by Proxima who stood a few feet behind her partner yet her angered expression had faltered, in anticipation of their guides next words.

Corvus glanced at his glaive but Red skull was still watching from a distance and it didn’t take mind reading skills to guess what Corvus was thinking.

“It will not work Corvus Glaive. Your weapon, its accompanying benefits of immortallity and longevity, is not a suitable sacrifice.” He answered

Red Skull continued

“To take the Soul stone you must lose that which you love most.”

His sunken eyes flitted between the couple, and realization dawned on Proxima in the same second it did Corvus.

Proxima Midnight lurched back defiantly while Corvus lowered his weapon so clumsily the lower blade clattered against the stone ground loudly, his jaw growing slack.

The dread-lord looked to his wife, her shocked expression mirrored his

A soul…for a soul…?” Corvus guessed flatly, turning his head enough to face Red skull

The Stone keeper nodded once..

"You both serve Thanos, you both desire to take the stone for him The choice is yours to make but to take the stone it needs a living sacrifice.”

Corvus approched and took Proxima’s wrist in his clawed hand

 “Take the stone-” he started

Only Proxima took a determined step back and wrenching her wrist free

“I will not!”

Corvus growled slightly

“Proxima, bring the Stone to Thanos, you’ll be rewarded-” 

He received a bruising slap to the face that forced his head to one side.

Proxima then put a gentle hand to the cheek she had struck, returning his gaze his gaze hers as she stood breathing heavily through gritted teeth

“You insult me Corvus. Do not speak to me of reward when there is nothing Thanos could offer me that I would ever value more than your life!” she declared

“If you feel differently..."

Letting her hand fall from his face Proxima marched passed her husband towards the edge of the cliff, only to be grabbed and pulled back sharply.

With her spine pressed to her husbands’ torso she struggled only for a moment yet Corvus held her in place

“Do not dare” he hissed in her ear.

“Don’t ever doubt the value I place on your life” he almost snarled at her.

Relaxing his grip he moved her to face him

“I  regret none of things we have done in service to Thanos, not one thing. But this…this I will not do” 

He gestured to the void below.

Proxima gaze now alight with determination as she gripped his shoulders

“Then we’ll leave. Now; we’ll get as far away as possible while we have time” she pressed.

Corvus glanced to the abyss and then back to her

“Proxima…Thanos will find us eventualy, whether it is a year from now or several he will find us. The Order has been our lives for so long, what will we do while we wait for Thanos to catch up with us?” he demanded

"Turn to the side of good? Travel the galaxy helping innocents rather than killing them?” he sneered mockingly

“Tell me what we do while waiting for our inevitable slaughter?”

Proxima scoffed quietly, looking into his eyes as though the answer was obvious

  “Fight, drink...fuck, make love. We can do whatever we please.” She suggested with a shrug, placing a hand to his cheek

“ We Live Corvus.” She almost pleaded

“Before we die, we’ll live. For ourselves, just...for once.”

Defeated, Corvus glanced at the swirling abys below them.

 

They landed the Q ship on a small uninhabited planet, they had enough fuel to get to a space port but for now they needed to rest, gather their thoughts and emotions in peace.

They found a secluded, beach like area surrounded by rocks, not jagged and harsh but smooth and flat, and a sea that was calm as it lapped at the purple-ish sands.

Driving her spear into the sand so that it stood without aid,  Proxima stepped to the water’s edge watching the horizon, under her husbands crimson gaze.

Corvus couldn’t help but smile at the image of her standing against the aesthetic surroundings, her navy hair blown back by the warm breeze.

He pushed his glaive into the ground with her spear so that the handles crossed over each other and moved almost soundlessly to stand beside her.

Proxima turned and mirrored the smile he offered and without a word Corvus’ hands came to his wife’s waist and she wrapped her arms around his shoulders.

They were free – until Thanos found them, they would be free to act and live as they pleased.

The pair kissed passionately.

Suddenly Proxima pulled away with a strange expression, Corvus looked at her with concern as he felt her arms slide down, her hands gripping his forearms tightly

“Corvus…I don’t feel righ-”

Her sentence was cut off when she saw flecks of ash swirling in breeze, looking back to her husband fearfully, she saw that the ashes where from him, he was disappearing!

Looking at her hand she saw that the same was true of her!

Corvus noticed this as well

“He has done it. Thanos has the stones…half the universe will be erased from existence…” he told her with horror in his eyes, holding her tighter.

Realizing they were going to die, be reduced to nothing within the next few moment, she looked him in the eye

“I love you” she blurted out desperately.

what else could she say in that moment?

“I never told you enough times…but…” she started only for Corvus to hush her gently.

He could feel himself slipping away and didnt want the last thing he saw was his wife's tears

“You didn’t have to, I knew. I do know. I love you Proxima Midnight” 

With that he faded completely from Proxima’s arms, a single tear and a deep sob emitted from her throat and her knees gave way before she too turned to ash with her husband.

The particles that were left caught in the wind and were sent swirling around the handles of their weapons which stood crossed over each other in the sand.

Notes:

This is legit something that bugged me; What would have happened if someone else had been sent to retrieve the soul stone? Not just Proxima and Corvus but Ebony Maw or Cull Obsidian? Let me know what you guys think in the comments

Chapter 14: PET

Summary:

Most families have a pet right? Even if you're a member of the Black Order apparently.

Notes:

Inspired by the brief appearance of Kaldera in the comic books

Chapter Text

Corvus Glaive arrived on the mining planet of Knowhere, leaving Cull Obsidian to cause havoc at the Orloni gambling table, the first General of Thanos made his way to the lair of The Collector

“Tanaeleer Tivan.” Corvus confirmed

He began towards the white haired male who owned the vast collection housed on Knowhere. The collectors stance reminding Corvus of Ebony Maw in an unnerving way.

Tivan meanwhile was not surprised by Corvus’ appearance in his lair

“I have been wondering; what interest may I ask, would a servant of the Mad Titan have in my collection?” Tivan asked with a flourish.

Corvus remained stoic

“You assume my business here concerns your collection, not you yourself?”

He couldnt help but glance at the frosted glass tanks containing creatures from across the galaxy – some of which Corvus would bet Thanos himself had never heard of.

His attention returned to the Collector when he addressed the Black Order General

“I have an eye for an interested customer, besides my collection is far, far more interesting than my humble self” Tivan chuckled.

He stepped closer to the intimidating figure of Corvus Glaive, eyeing the general’s weapon.

Corvus watched him guardedly

“I contacted you personal not half an hour ago, you know what I am looking for.” he said briskly.

Tivan gestured dramatically not wishing to incur the wrath of the General,

“Yes. Of course” 

He lead the way past glass tanks of creatures, plants and objects, and shelves of skulls and body parts, to a particularly large cage with metal bars, the spaces between the steel bars shimmered with transparent energy that kept anything from passing between the bars.

“I believe this may be what would suit your desires.”

Tivan gestured to the creature inside.

A young girl, between six and eight years old, dressed in a grey tattered dress that reached her shins, sat on her haunches in the cell, a length of chain was attached to the back wall with the other end looped around her neck to create a makeshift collar.

Tivan pressed the tips of his fingers together in front of him

“Is there anything about the species you wish to know?” he questioned.

Corvus replied bluntly

“I know of the species; they carry both canine and humanoid traits, specialist hunters used mostly for hunting live stock for large armies and the like”

Tivan glanced at the General

“You certainly have notable knowledge of obsolete races” he congratulated.

Corvus grunted impassively

“Given that I make species obsolete should Thanos command it, I should do” he bit back impatiently.

Tivan swallowed, trying  to conceal his fraying nerves

“Her planet is in ruins now, in a far corner of the galaxy; with nothing to live for and nothing to lose, she came here willingly.” Tivan explained.

Taking a moment to watch the small humanoid girl, who slowly rose from her position and stepped towards the front of the cage with a curious expression.

Corvus saw that she had a red forked tail that flicked every so often, and mismatched eyes; one red one green.

“How much?” Corvus asked.

Tivan thought for a moment

“For a general of Thanos…half a million units should suffice” The Collector decided.

Only for Corvus to bring the blade of his glaive to Tivan’s throat

“Do better” Corvus demanded

Tivan froze

“Uh, of course, eh…a Thousand, a thousand units. Given that she is the last of her species one could not say fairer than that” Tivan gulped, avoiding the blade at his throat.

Corvus narrowed his dark eyes

“Hm. You have a deal, Collector.”

He lowered his weapon to Tivan’s relie, and Corvus electronically transferred the units.

Tivan opened the cage and untied the chain that bound the girl the wall

“Come now my dear, you are this gentleman’s’ now. you’re to go with him” he instructed.

Placing a hand on the girls back he guiding her out of the cage, obidiently the girl went to Corvus’ side.

After Tivan made sure the correct amount had been paid he handed the end of the chain over and Corvus moved to leave, the child followed at his heels in silence.

 

As he approached the ship Corvus saw his brother already waiting in the doorway at the top of the ramp.

As his brother entered with his purchase Cull Obsidian questioned Corvus over what Thanos wanted such a thing for.

Corvus dropped the end of the chain and the child sat on the floor behind Corvus’ seat, leaning her back against the chair 

 Corvus answered Obsidian’s question without looking at him

“This isn’t for Thanos."

 

Proxima Midnight walked beside Corvus through the vast corridors of the Sanctuary 2.

They were going deeper down in the ship than he and Proxima usually bothered to go; they were heading to the slaughter decks where livestock was kept and killed for their meat, milk and blood

“What is all the way down here that you wish to show me?” she questioned both with suspicion and curiosity.

Corvus glanced at her, his expression giving away nothing

“Patience my dear Midinght” his  hand wrapped around hers.

 

Barking orders at one of the short, vole-like creatures that worked the kennels, Corvus led the way the cage were he had left his purchase.

Guiding Proxima to stand in front of him, he placed an arm around her waist

“A gift my dear” Corvus rumbled.

Proxima took in the child’s appearance. She knew a little of this species from Corvus; they were good hunters, lived to serve others by hunting their masters prey – be it food, objects, prisoners etc. and like dogs they could be taught; to fight, pilot small space-crafts, whatever their master deemed necessary

“I thought the species was annihilated entirely” she murmured in surprise.

Corvus shook his head once

“This is the last.” he corrected

“She is yours, to train and use as you wish, my wife” he explained, watching the girl sleeping like a dog on a bed of straw and hay..

Corvus spoke after a moment of silence

“She knows that it is you she serves, since I purchased her, she assumed it was myself” he stated.

The girl shifted in her sleep; she was lying on her stomach with her arms crossed under her chin. Scrunching her face slightly the girl rubbed her eye

. Corvus continued

“The more canine-like traits will fade with age and training” Corvus explained.

She didn't reply verbaly but Proxima looked to him with a smile.

The small girl had now woken and sat up, alert when she glimpsed the pair standing in front of her, Proxima addressed the creature in front of her firmly

“Here, now” she ordered.

Scampering on her hands and knees across the floor the child came to stand upright at Proxima’s feet.

Proxima has to admit this was a good sign

“Hm, not bad child. We will establish now that should you take too long or fail to respond to an order there will be severe punishment

Bending down she took the girls chin in her hand.

Turning the child’s face one way, then the other, though clearly in discomfort the girl didn’t react.

 Proxima released her and stood straight

“You’re young, you’ll make a good servant with the right training.”

The child  looked up at her little emotion to Proxima’s satisfaction

“Do you have a name?” 

The girls tail curled and twitched and she twisted her fingers in her opposite hand

“Since you are my master, it is you who grants me my name, should you choose to give me one.” the child answered stoically, watching the taller woman dispassionatly with her mismatch eyes from beneath shaggy dirty brown bangs.

Proxima gave a non-commental sound

“Fine.” she answered.

She paused, considering her options before placing a hand on the girls head, petting her as one would an animal, the girl actually relaxed slightly at the action

“Kaldera. You are now Kaldera – slave of Proxima Midnight, of The Black Order.” The blue haired woman declared

“"As you have just arrived I suppose you can rest for today.” Proxima instructed, firmly

"I will return tomorrow and you will begin training, you will remain here under supervision of the caretakers. They will find you water and something to eat.”

The newly named Kaldera nodded in mute understanding.

Corvus and Proxima left to return to the higher levels of the warship.

After a few moments of companiable silence, Proxima placed a hand on her husbands’ elbow, stopping him mI'd step

“Not that I’m ungrateful, but was there something I have done recently to warrant such a gift?” she asked coyly.

 Recognisong her tone, Corvus grinned, baring pointed, shark-like teeth and responded slyly

“I’d list the reasons however it has been a long flight and I’d like to get some rest before dawn.”

Proxima rolled her eyes but offered him a fond laugh in return, pressing him back against the the thick titanium wall

"I'm afraid I shan't be losing you rest this night my love. I've yet to adequately thank you for my gift..."

She bit his lip, and with an affectionate growl of anticipation, Corvus buried his face to her necks, making her chuckle as she took his hand, intending on leading him back to their private chambers.

Chapter 15: CAVES

Summary:

While on a mission together Proxima and Corvus take some time to themselves

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Proxima and Corvus stood, surrounded by bodies, blood, limbs flesh stained and littered the ground. Tearing her spear from the spine of her enemy Proxima turned to her husband, who was walking through the sea of bodies, every so often he would stab one with his glaive checking each and every one was dead.

Proxima leant  on her spear sl8ghlty in a bored fashion

“Are we finished here already, my love?” 

Corvus looked up, stabbing yet another body, this one twitched and gurgled for a moment before falling still, without breaking his gaze Corvus answered his wife

“It would seem so. I expected more of a challenge.”

swinging his blade so that any excess blood splattered across the ground.

Proxima sighed, swinging her spear over her shoulder

“Such a waste, they had decent weapons, natural concealment in those cliffs.”

The female gestured to a high maze of caves in the cliff faces to her far left, caves which would no doubt lead to tunnels; easily large enough conceal a decent sized army as well as weaponry.

Corvus scoffed; by now he was approaching Proxima, having finished his task,

“They were poorly led. With no clear leader, no strategic plan, a simple “run at them and hope for the best’ attitude. They believed they were right and that because of that they would automatically win” Corvus ranted,

Amusement flashed in Proxima’s eyes, Corvus raised an eyebrow,

“You find my frustration and exasperation at poor leadership and lack of strategy, humorous?”

He had been making a serious argument after all.

But Proxima simply chuckled

“I do. I apologies, my love but I do indeed find it humorous” 

Leaning closer to him she  smirked 

“But not nearly as much as this...”

Wth that she had plucked the glaive from Corvus’ hand and bolted! Corvus followed after a spilt second of surprise, until Proxima climbed the cliff face and disappeared.

Corvus scanned the cliff

"Proxima!” he snapped loudly.

A sharp whistle was heard and Corvus spun in a half circle, catching sight of his wife he was surprised that she had climbed higher while out of his sight and still carrying both her own weapon and his

“How the-” Corvus mumbled, only to curse when she smirked and disappeared again.

Grumbling to himself in short curses and incoherent complaints, Corvus scaled the cliff after her, he just caught sight of her disappearing into one of the caves

 When he realized he had lost sight of her, he called her name yet again but continued on as there was only one way she could have gone.

He moved down a steep slope until he  found himself in a deep cavern beneath the very surface if the ground they had been standing on, with pools of steaming hot water scattered everywhere which varied in size, some where raised by ledges and uneven ground while others were set deeper into the floor.

Corvus’ gaze was fixed on his wife who was standing in the centre of a patch of light created by a small crevice in the ceiling above

“Midnight…” 

He wanted to object, but the reason why suddenly failed him because he realized she was in fact entirely naked before his eyes

Proxima didn't move

“We aren’t expected back until tomorrow, no one will miss us if we’re ‘delayed’ a while.”

With  hungry, blood red eyes fixated on the exquisite creature before him, Corvus had stepped close enough for Proxima to reach for his shoulders,

“But first…”

She started unfastening the clasp of his cloak and not bothering to watch it fall from his shoulders she darted away, stepping quickly into one of the large pools, wading into the middle before ducking under the water for a second.

While she couldn't swim, and found deep water discerning,so long as she could feel firm ground under her feet she was perfectly comfortable.

The sight of her resurfacing, using both hands to push her dark blue hair back away from her face, rivulets of water trickled down her skin, between her breasts and across toned muscles and faded battle scars…this alone was enough to coax Corvus to undress and enter the water.

As soon as he was close enough Corvus immediately reached for her

“Troublesome wife” he growled

His legs tangle with hers beneath the clouded water.

Proxima smirked 

“Obedient husband. I whistled and you came running” 

Corvus’ eyes flashed and he tugged her into a fierce kiss, swallowing her triumphant chuckle as she returned the gesture.

 

Hours later the pair lay entangled together on the ledge overlooking the pool they had previously occupied, like the floor and pools of water, was heated by the underground hot spring.

Proxima gave a deep contented sigh; she was pressed to Corvus’ chest with his clawed hand tracing her hip, and he groaned quietly

“you must stop making sounds like that, it’s too tempting, and we cannot stay much longer.” he told her semi-firmly

Proxima looked up at him

“Ironic, Iwas just thinking, imagine if we could stay here always.” Proxima started wistfully

“Think of it; these caves could be our shelter, we’d hunt food in the forests…just you and I”

Corvus felt her he curled tighter againstChim and he couldn't help but add

“Serve no one but ourselves” 

Proxima rolled onto her front, propping her chin on Corvus’ chest,

"And each other”

A suggestive smile tugged at her lips and orvus dragged his fingers through her hair as he faced her.

“When Thanos has claimed the Stones, when he has completed his goal and brought balance to the universe, and I’ve shown you all of the universe you wish to see… I’ll bring you back here and we will do just that.” He vowed, his tone a low and loving caress as real to her as the hand stroking her thigh.

If only.

Notes:

This chapter was inspired by the Episode of Game of Thrones where Jon Snow and Ygritt have sex in the caverns

Chapter 16: FOREHEAD TOUCH*

Summary:

Corvus feels rough - Proxima makes it better.
Sweet, fluffy.

Chapter Text

She had no idea Corvus was prone to Migraines.

Despite being with the Order for almost eight years, and been involved in a casual, sexual relationship with Corvus for two years, she had no idea he suffered from these blinding, almost incapacitating headaches at random intervals.

She walked into his sleeping quarters, having exchanged passcodes for each others rooms months ago, only to find him lying flat on his back in the center of the bed with one arm thrown over his eyes and the lights dimmed so low there was little point in having them switched on.

The loud hiss of the electronic doors opening made Corvus snarl in protest, making Proxima hesitated for a moment

“I’ve not seen you all day, where were you?” she questioned, moving to perch on the edge of the mattress on her side of the bed to remove her boots

“I’ve been here since just after our morning meal. Migraine; it happens from time to time.” Corvus said, his voice oddly quiet.

Proxima raised her eyebrows, beneath the arm covering his eyes, she could see his skin had turned sickly pale, an alarming contrast to the veins standing out in his jaw and temples. Realizing loud sounds bothered him, she kept her voice low

“Why did you never mention it?” Proxima asked.

Corvus remained motionless

“There was no point, there’s nothing to be done, but they never last for more than a day.” Corvus sighed removing his arm from his closed eyes.

Proxima placed her hand over his, a thought suddenly occurred to her and she raised her hand gently to his forehead, he flinched slightly at the contact but relaxed soon after; her skin naturally so much cooler to touch than his own constantly warm temperature.

With a quiet moan he grasped Proxima’s wrist, manoeuvring her hand across his forehead, relishing the contact of her cold skin. With soft smile Proxima stayed in that position, sitting beside him with her hand pressed to his aching forehead, letting him move and maneuver her hand as he pleased.

After a while she could feel the skin in her own hand heat up, causing the cooling effect to become ineffective.

She reluctantly pulled her hand away, Corvus even more reluctant to release her but she brushed her thumb over the ridges in his forehead

“Trust me” she whispered, and he finally relinquished his hold.

After some repositioning she lay over him, resting on his chest with her icy forehead pressed to his own warm one, Corvus gave another groan of relief, leaning up to press his forehead more firmly against hers as his hands crept up to hold her close, securing her against him.

After a few minutes the Migraine that had been tormenting him for the entire day was starting to ease and all tension seemed to leave the rest of his body. Proxima curled at his side, his arms wrapped around her, and their legs entwined, Corvus’ forehead pressed to the side of his lovers, at last the ach in his temples began to dim.

Chapter 17: DEATH

Summary:

Alternate End to the Black Order in Infinity wars

Notes:

why do i do this to myself? 'cries'

Chapter Text

“You should…you should’ve gone for the head” Thanos stated. Thor’s new weapon, Stormbreaker, embedded in his chest, Cull Obsidian stepped forward, after a brief struggle Obsidian slaughtered the God of Lighting and Thanos lifted his arm, the Infinity gauntlet secure on his hand as the remaining members of his Black Order, Cull Obsidian, Corvus Glaive and Proxima Midnight, stood before him.

Each of Thanos' Generals looking proud, and triumphant; they had succeeded! They’d brought their master the Infinity Stones, just as they had been trained to do in order for.

Taking a moment to relish the power coursing through him Thanos gave a heavy, satisfied sigh before snapping his fingers.

The humans the Children of Thanos had been fighting just moments ago began to fade into dust before them; people fell to their knees as comrades and friends reached for one another, only to disintegrate before each-others’ eyes. It was…an unnerving sight even for hardened warriors like the Black Order.

Corvus and Proxima, standing feet away from each other, looked around as clouds of ash where scattered to the winds; this was it; this was what it had all been for

Corvus was the first to speak

“Congratulations master, you’ve succeeded…” he started to address Thanos only for the voice of his wife to interrupt

“Corvus…”

To his horror Corvus saw Proxima on her knees where she had collapsed from shock, staring down at her hand. His throat contracted in panic, she was fading right before his eyes!

“No!” Corvus muttered in horror.

Darting forward, he skid in the dirt as he came to rest on one knee before her as Thanos watched with a look of only mild surprise.

Corvus grasped Proxima’s hand

“My love…”

Their gazes met; each mirroring the others expressions of dread she placed a hand on her husbands’ cheek but the touch was so feather light Corvus could barely feel it, the coolness to her skin that always soothed the heat of his own was disappearing!

Proxima bowed her head in defeat, feeling the weight of Corvus’ forehead on hers, avoiding his gaze as she too turned to dust completely and faded from his sight.

Corvus’ body heaved as he gave and animalistic howl, on his hands and knees beside the ashes that would have been Proxima's body.

Thanos, now looked on dispassionately. Corvus looked up at him with fury in his eyes and grief painted across his features

“How could you let this happen? Proxima was one of us! She was loyal to you, a faithful servant of the order!”

“The act is random, without exception.” Thanos answered distantly, looking out at the continuing flows of ash appearing above the trees.

“She was my wife!” Corvus practically screeched.

Seizing his glaive, but as he raised it to Thanos, who didn’t even flinch.

The Mad Titan grasped the handle, gripping until it shattered, enraged, Corvus groaned in pain as his tie to life was destroyed.

He collapsed to the floor, breathing heavily, his long, claws scrabbled at the ground for a moment, searching for something in the dirt, upon finding what he needed Corvus remained on his hands and knees, a large piece of the blade that once made up his glaive; the source of his conditional immortality, clutched in his hands.

Corvus didn’t even bother to look at Thanos before dragging the bladexswiftly across his own throat.

The split second of pain was nothing compared to what he’d just witnessed, nor the tortour of the potentially endless existence with Proxima at his side.

Dropping broken piece of blade, bleeding heavily, Corvus managed to blindly crawl the short distance back to where Proxima had knelt, before he collapsed.

 

Thick black blood bubbled up in his throat as Corvus took a final last shuddering breath

“Midnight…” the word rattled up from his chest before he suddenly silent, and Corvus Glaive moved no more.

Chapter 18: PROPOSAL*

Chapter Text

Corvus Glaive dodged a high aimed kick from Proxima Midnight; the woman who’d become his lover almost three years ago now.

They spent a great deal their spare time practising various fighting styles; Proxima’s aptitude for hand to hand combat was almost unmatched and had earned her the title of the Black Orders fiercest warrior, and Corvus couldn’t have been prouder that she was his.

They’d been sparring for hours, skin glistening with sweat and blood but still they didn’t stop. Corvus aimed a punch to Proxima’s stomach, the female grunted blocked him at the last moment.

orvus growled and threw four more swift punches; only to be blocked each time as Proxima deflected the blows with her forearm, seeing her opening Proxima struck Corvus’ face with her fist

“Had enough?” she asked breathlessly.

Corvus chuckled, wiping away the blood dripping from his mouth

“Have you?” he retorted, swiping his legs through hers in a semi-circle.

Proxima was able to cushion her landing and sprung to her feet instantly, ducking another punch she launched herself into his side, earning a snarl of pain from her lover as her weight sent him sprawling onto his back and within seconds she’d pinned him beneath her.

The pair glared at each other while panting from exhaustion, Corvus could feel Proxima’s hands shaking as they splayed across his chest, holding him down, in return Proxima could feel the near-impossibly erratic thumping of her partner’s heart-rate as it raced under her fingers.

Corvus swallowed thickly, still trying to catch his breath

“I always liked this position” he commented, grinning when Proxima jabbed his shoulder, the punch was hard but her expression teasing.

A few errant strands of deep blue hair fell over one eye and brushed the corner of the other.

Corvus felt the strong desire to tuck the strands back behind her horns and kiss the blue line tattooed between her bottom lip and the tip of her chin; this simple action always succeeded in drawing rare, honest laughter from her; a sound Corvus knew he would never tire of, he would never tire of her.

His eyes never leaving her face and his grin never faltering as he spoke

“Marry me”

Proxima stared, eyes wide and her lips parted in shock

“What?”  she breathed.

Her hands left his chest, only for Corvus to sit up slightly, with her still straddling his middle.

He took her wrist and brought her hand to his chest where his heart still beat fitfully

“I love you my Midnight, I desire none and nothing else but you, always. Marry me” he repeated.

Her mouth was on his in seconds, almost cutting off his words.

With Proxima’s hands gripping his shoulders Corvus brought his own hands to her back, holding her against him as he deepened the kiss.

After a moment Corvus pulled away, leaning his forehead against hers, their faces remaining just centimetres apart

“Is that a yes?” he quipped cupping her cheeks in his clawed hands.

If there was anything rarer than her laughter it was the tears clinging to the corners of her bright orange eyes.

She gave a husky sounding laugh

“Yes” 

she lifted a hand to Corvus’ cheek

“Yes”

She kissed him again but this one deeper, more intense than the first.

Corvus felt her shudder as he ran his hands down her arms; no, he would never in a thousand lifetimes, tire of her, he would love her forever.

Chapter 19: NEVER AGAIN

Summary:

Plenty of couples have fights, ones that get out of hand...right?
Explaining the origin of the scar on Proxima's lip in Infinity Wars and Endgame

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

It’s a normal enough thing for couples to argue, but recently Proxima and Corvus seemed to do little else. Their success during missions hadn’t been affected, but back aboard the Sanctuary 2 their chambers became a verbal warzone...

“I do not need anger management I need you to stop irritating me to death!”

“By the severed gods Proxima, if you would just stop and listen-”

“Why should I?"

Corvus’ brother, Cull Obsidian had been heading in the direction of the couples shared room, he noticed even from a distance the door had been left open and the sound of shouting and accusations flying reached his ears, as Cull Obsidian drew closer a bright blue spark of electricity lit up the room and hallway a second later Proxima’s spear flew out and embedded itself in the wall opposite the door.

Wihout stopping Obsidian turned back the way he had come – if weapons had become involved it was best to let the couple fight it out themselves.

Back inside the couples bedroom Corvus rose from ducking Proxima’s spear which she had thrown at him,

“have you lost your damn mind?!” he yelled,

Proxima scoffed derisively, “please, even if it had hit you you’d only be gone a few days. Two weeks at most and I wouldn't miss you!” she spat angrily,

Corvus’ eyes flashed dangerously, “oh, that’s how little you think of me is it my dear?” he retorted sarcastically,

Proxima glared straight back without blinking “The way things have been between us recently? It is yes!” Proxima assured him,

Corvus sneered in her direction,

“If you feel that way why don’t you pack a bag and go to hell right now and save us any more of this?!” he snapped,

Corvus took a few steps towards his wife,

“What more do you expect from me Proxima? When-”

he was cut off when Proxima raised a hand and interrupted,

“I can’t do this with you anymore, not today! I need some space to think” she stated gesturing to the door,

however Corvus stayed where he was,

“Don’t hurt yourself!” he snarled with sarcastically,

Proxima rolled her eyes at the almost childish remark,

“How can you be so juvenile? just get out!” she repeated harshly,

only as she moved towards the bathroom.

Corvus grabbed her wrist, the one not covered in gold armor, to pull her back forcefully,

“No! you are not walking away from this one, Proxima, why can you never just listen for once in your pathetic life?” he growled,

his grip on her wrist tightened but Proxima refused to show it was actually causing her discomfort.

The argument was getting out of control – it was going further than any fight they’d had in their years together, Proxima wretched her arm out of his grip, neither of them noticed the bruises he’d left on her skin,

“Get. OUT!” she screamed, giving her husband a shove to put some distance between them,

“I can’t keep doing this, I wish I’d never married you!” she yelled.

The resulting slap he delivered to her cheek caused Proxima to stumble and the taste of blood exploded in her mouth, with her head tilted to one side from the force of the hit, she barely registered the sound of the door hissing shut as Corvus stalked from the room.

Standing upright Proxima went ot the bathroom, feeling numb with shock, the anger and frustration she’d been feeling suddenly drained from her body as she leant over the sink, spitting out a mouthful of blood before turning on the tap, letting the water run she cupped her palms and washed her face quickly.

After shutting off the tap the female simply stood leaning over the sink, breathing heavily while trying to collect herself and her thoughts.

Yes she was a warrior, a soldier, she had suffered far worse blows on the battlefield but this was different, her husband had stuck her across the face in anger, and left without saying a word; if anything her pride hurt far worse than her physical wound.

But Proxima quickly realized that the blood showed no signs of stopping; Corvus’ claw had torn through her top lip.

She exited her chambers and made her way to the medical bay.

Within half an hour Proxima’s torn lip had been stitched and she’d left the medical bay – after being responsible for the Black Order’s medical care for a number of years the doctors and surgeons had no reason to ask what had caused the injury much to Proxima’s mild relief.

But instead of returning to her chambers Proxima retreated to the only place she knew no one would disturb her; the Observation dome.

The large circular room had always been Proxima’s chosen place of solitude; a room comprised mostly of thick floor to ceiling glass, no one ever went there besides her and over the years the rest of the order knew not to intrude if Proxima was up there; apart from Corvus that is.

Proxima stood at the railing, looking out at the empty expanse of universe before her; she winced as she went to bite her lip – an anxious habit she’d never been able to kick, but feeling her stitches pull slightly made her stop.

She had always lived life on her feet, not caring to plan ahead but simply acting on impulse and emotion, of course she was perfectly capable of planning, of being rational, but she preferred the latter attitude to things; now though…she had absolutely no clue how to handle her current situation.

She and her husband argued just as any couple did but it had never turned physical until today; as well as three stitches in her lip, her cheek now bore bruises made by Corvus knuckles from where the back of his hand had struck her.

Alone, confused and unable to stop herself, Proxima released a choked sob, lifting her hands to her face but after only a few moments she had collected herself again. Getting emotional wouldn’t solve anything she told herself.

Proxima lost track of how long she had been in the Observation dome, but her lip no longer throbbed painfully and she had bitten her smallest nail to shreds.

Her eyes flicked back in the direction of the door and she heard the tell-tale clank of metal against the iron stairs outside the door.

The person outside hesitated for a few seconds before entering, the door creaked and Corvus Glaive slid into the room, remaining by the door as he regarded his wife.

When she didn’t immediately react he took a handful of cautious steps into the room but he stopped when she spoke,

“never” Corvus could tell from her voice she’s been crying, he waited as she continued

, “You’ve never hurt me. Ever” she stated,

she didn’t see the look of defeat and shame on Corvus’ features, again he took several well-chosen steps forward, expecting a reaction at any time

“Proxima…” he started to say beseechingly, but was interrupted by his partner, who turned to face him finally,

“I don’t want your apology or excuses.” her words fired like bullets from a gun.

Corvus didn’t bother to cover his surprise when he saw the stitches on her lip or the bruises on her cheek.

He swallowed, his throat suddenly dry,

“Proxima…what can I do?” he found himself offering

Proxima’s expression was one of surprise and disbelief; rolling her eyes she gave a sardonic sound as she turned away.

Corvus moved to stand at the railing beside but a short way behind Proxima, keeping his eyes ahead of him, just as Proxima did.

She spoke after a few moments,

“I suppose there’s no point.” She admitted,

Corvus glanced at her questioningly, moving to stand next to her fully but she still didn’t look at him,

“Punching you in the face – there’s no point since you’ll heal in seconds” she finished,

looking at Corvus at last, to his relief her eyes flickered with humor and he allowed a small smile to break across his features,

“A limb would take weeks to re-grow.” He suggested lightly,

Proxima chuckled cynically, “I’ll think about it” she replied,

Lowering her head so that her chin touched her chest, with a deep sigh her shoulders sagged.

Corvus watched with a guilty expression, up close he could see how sore her stitched lip really looked,

“You know I didn’t mean-” he started, but stopped when Proxima looked up at him again,

“And the things you said before? Did you mean those?” she demanded firmly,

Corvus hoped this wouldn’t lead to another argument, but he would be nothing but honest,

“Not entirely” he said blandly, “You?” he inclined his head to her,

“Maybe, at the time. Yes I suppose so; us being at each-others’ throats like this; it’s draining, and tedious. But that doesn’t mean I…no I didn’t mean what I said, I don’t and will never regret marrying you, ever.” She insisted, her amber eyes meeting his.

As they looked at each other Corvus raised a hand to cup Proxima’s cheek, her eyes flicked to his hand as he did so but didn’t flinch, carefully he drew the tip of his thumb-claw from where the stitches started and over the bruises left by his knuckle,

“My love, my dear Midnight, you’ll allow me to apologies now?” he asked,

Normally Proxima would shifted her head to nuzzle his hand, this time she didn’t,

“I will; but while I may forgive actions I certainly do not forget them” she warned, her layered voice hardened.

Corvus accepted this and Proxima moved her gaze away.

He watched her nervously “Are we, alright?” Corvus rumbled, Proxima considered the question for a moment, “No.” she answered,

she heard Corvus sigh in understanding and she looked up at him again, “But we will be, with some time” she reassured, laying a hand over his own.

Notes:

While I don't believe Corvus would ever actually harm Proxima no matter the circumstances, their lives are volitile, their lives are violent, so, in this chapter it just kind of spills over.

(This is NOT meant to be indicative of real live; if your partner hurts you, once is enough, they've shown you who they are; believe them; leave.

Chapter 20: FALL*

Summary:

Just another idea that wouldn't leave me
Set pre marriage Proxivus

Chapter Text

Their enemies had been eliminated; the entire planet had been razed to ashes by Thanos’ Black Order.

As Proxima and Corvus regrouped on the ground Cull Obsidian ripped out the engine of an enemy warship, leaping to the ground to safety.

Obsidian growled in warning, the warship was plummeting from the sky in a dead fall.

But the warning had come too late.

Corvus and Proxima darted out of the way in time but as the ship landed and skid across the ground, it toppled over a nearby canyon, it’s heavy steel wings hitting the sides, creating a landslide of rock and earth as the ship fell into the deep, dark crevice.

The resulting noise was deafening, once a safe distance away from the crevice Corvus Glaive looked back.straightening from the crouch he had landed in upon leaping out of the way, but he turned back just in time to see the ground beneath Proxima Midnight disappear under her feet.

With a scream Proxima flung her spear forward and made a desperate attempt to grab the edge only to fall down the dark canyon as Corvus dove onto his stomach

“No!” he screeched refusing to believe he was too late, somehow he was able to grab her just in time.

Corvus felt and heard the bone in her wrist snap under the combination of falling and being grabbed suddenly.

Proxima had prepared herself for the impending fall and fatal impact she would’ve suffered, yet it never came… her eyes opened and her body uncurled itself slightly

“Grab onto the side!” Corvus instructed, breathing heavily.

Proxima tried to find some purchase against the canyon wall, but her free hand and her feet slipped and skid multiple times, finding no ledge or shard of rock to grab onto.

“I can’t” she called out, not yet registering the pain in her broken wrist, she clambered to find something to pull herself up with, until she heard her lover call out to her

“Stay still” Corvus shouted.

Cull Obsidian, who had been standing back now moved forward, handing Corvus his glaive, the General glanced between Proxima and his glaive

“Hold. On!” Corvus ordered, he had been clutching Proxima’s hand with both of his, but he needed one hand to take his glaive from Obsidian.

Wincing in pain Proxima tightened her grip on his hand and Corvus swung his glaive into position, lowering it right by Proxima’s other hand,

“Grab it, the glaive, grab it and I’ll pull you up!” Corvus called.

In her fearful state, Proxima almost looked down, but Corvus stopped her

“Proxima no, just look up, this is where you need to get to don’t look down!” Corvus shouted firmly, yet he’d never sounded so panicked.

Pulling both the glaive and Proxima’s hand Corvus almost had her to safety

Proxima was able to move her feet so that she could walk up the face of the canyon, that is until her foot slipped and her lovers grip was suddenly gone from hers

“Corvus!” she screamed instinctively.

Corvus grabbed his weapon with both hands

he yelled in panic, but Proxima was able to grab the glaive with both hands before she could fall down into the black canyon below, she was now hanging from the ledge with feet dangling under her

“Corvus, don’t- don’t let me go!” she pleaded, actually pleaded at the top of her lungs; she wouldn’t survive if she fell and they both knew it!

Corvus was breathing heavily, his heart rate increasing with panic, but he attempted to sound reassuring

“Calm down, don’t be ridiculous, I won’t let go.” Corvus assured, digging his feet into the crumbling ground he pulled the glaive and Proxima with it, she was able to get her footing and pushed herself up.

As soon as she was within reach Corvus grabbed the top of her arm and dragged his wife over the edge of the canyon and he fell back with his lover landing on top of him.

Holding Proxima close, lifting a hand to the back of her head he shuffled further away from the edge, seeing parts of the ground crack and fall away, it would have dragged her with it had Corvus not pulled her back.

Corvus let Proxima cling to his front with his arms wrapped securely around her

“I’d never let you fall my love.” He comforted, over Proxima’s shoulder he saw Cull Obsidian observing the exchange in silence, the brothers exchanged a minute nod, silently vowing to keep this minor show of weakness from ever reaching Thanos’ attention.

Chapter 21: OBLIVION

Summary:

Another Alt death chapter for these two. I don't know why I write so many of these honestly but I had help from obsessedwith on this one ;)

Chapter Text

Avengers, Asguardians, Guardians and Mystics charged the battlefield, ready to stand against Thanos’ army of Leviathans, Chitauri and Outriders with the Black Order leading.

Proxima Midnight grunted as she was knocked onto her back by a member of the Dora Millaje, using her spear to block a strike from her enemies own weapon, she grit her teeth and kicked out at the other woman’s stomach, finding an opportunity she got to her knees and swung the spear up into her opponents chest. Shoving the twitching body to detach it from the points of her spear she continued to block and land blows with spear and fists.

Not far away Corvus was engaged in combat with three Asguardian warriors, he’d battled Asguardians before, it was easy enough for Thanos strategist to analyse their fighting style and counter their attacks.

The first Asgardian was sliced across the chest with Corvus’ namesake weapon, the other tried to defend their friends but was quickly stabbed through the heart and tossed aside while the third was grabbed by the throat, thick drops of blood collecting where Corvus’ claws dug through the skin, with a snarl Corvus held the struggling Asguardian and squeezed his throat until he stopped breath and Corvus felt bone crack under his hand.

On instinct Corvus scanned the area, without breaking his concentration, spotting Proxima shoot a blast of energy from her spear, knocking a Terran, wearing steel armoured wings from the sky.

They caught each-others gaze across the short distance that separated them.

The battle continued and Proxima found herself atop a cluster of rubble, fighting Captain America. His shield deflected most of the blows she’d aimed with her spear, she’d sustained a cut on her cheek and her body ached from battle but she ignored it.

Shooting a blast in his direction he re-directed and when she tried to bring the spear down on him Steve used his shield send the spear flying from her grasp, with a roar of anger Proxima lunged for the Captain, who flung his spear like a frisbee.

The force of the defensive weapon hitting her square in the gut sent Proxima rolling down the mound of broken stone, grunting in pain.

Producing the previously concealed sword from her gauntlet she was about to follow Steve Rogers who had turned his back on her to fight of an Outrider.

Instead Okoye stopped her before she could reach him, sword against spear the alien female and the General of the Dora Millaje rained down blows against each other in a fierce one on one battle.

Corvus meanwhile struck down a Mystic that had confronted him ‘irksome welp’ Corvus thought to himself, his ears pricked as he heard Proxima shout at the top of her lungs; she wasn’t far, Corvus saw the flash of navy hair and the gleam of her gold armour.

The strike came from nowhere.

One moment Proxima had the upper-hand, about to dispose of the Wakandan kings bodyguard, the next minuet a jolt shot through her entire body.

Proxima dropped her sword and glanced down to her abdomen; blue blood was seeping through the tear in her suit where it had been exposed by lack of armour, Okoye shot her a look of distain and moved on. Proxima, with shaking hands, tried to cover the wound.

From a few feet away Corvus had seen her stop suddenly and her opponent stalk away, ripping his glaive from the chest of an Asguardian he saw his wife drop to her knees with her back to him, hunching over herself.

Without thinking Corvus made him way towards her, cutting down any creature that got in his way. By the time he’d reached her Proxima was lying on her side, her knees drawn up slightly towards her chest

“Midnight!” he called, putting a hand on her arm, she turned weakly to look at him but her eyes were unfocused and barely open.

That was when he saw the blood, too much blood, seeping through her twitching fingers as she tried to stop it. Corvus paled

“No, no no” he muttered.

Dropping his glaive carelessly and leaning over his wife, not caring for the battle that continued, and no one else seemed to notice them either, Corvus put his hands over Proxima’s, desperate to stop her bleeding out in front of him

“-s no use” she rasped thickly, “Can’t stop it” she told him, the cut on her cheek smeared with blood from the cut on her cheek which was also bruised. Corvus felt his throat constrict

“No, I can, just, stay still. And stay awake” he instructed, with a bloodied hand he brushed back stray locks of her hair that had fallen across her face.

Proxima grimaced at the pain in her side, coughing up a mouthful of blood to Corvus horror

“Proxima” he started but before he could continue she released a cry, her body convulsing, Corvus tried to hold her still but gently

“Proxima, it’s alright, stay with me my love.” He stammered, but Proxima suddenly fell still, breathing heavily a few times before her eyes rolled and shut forever.

Corvus, who could do nothing but watch with sorrow and dread “Proxima…don’t do this, Proxima wake up!”

He shook her hard, he felt disconnected from his surroundings, from his very being.

The only thing he could feel was his wife’s still frame under his hands which floundered over her arm, her neck, the side of her head, everywhere.

Pausing but never fully touching her as he did so

“Proxima…I promised to never go where you could not follow – you were meant to do the same!” he muttered, his thin grey lip wavered and he glanced up, spotting Thanos – he’d seen and was watching with a look of fury and rage

“Stand Corvus Glaive and fight!” the titan thundered, not caring one bit for his now deceased General.

Fight. Corvus thought…deep down the instinct was still there – to stand and fight to his own death but…what was the point? If Thanos emerged victorious from this…what would be left for him, Corvus Glaive, at the end of it? What was victory without her to share it with?

Without breaking his gaze from Thanos, who by now was fighting of an onslaught from Captain Marvel, Iron Man and Thor, .

Corvus reached for his glaive and shoved the larger blade through his chest. He was surprised when there was no pain, he felt the blood trickle past his lips, the glaive slip from his fingers, then he felt nothing.

Corvus fell onto his stomach, his face turned towards the face of his beloved, reaching out his hand found hers,

“My Midnight. Wait for me” he thought silently, before everything fell black and his last breath rattled through his lungs. Nothing, not even death would rip them apart.

Chapter 22: HAPPY ENDING

Summary:

Corvus had sworn to bring Thanos victory in acquiring the Infinity Stones - He has done so.
Now he has one more, far more important promise to keep

A shorter chapter than I realized but once again i'm up at 1am I'm very sleep deprived right now lol

Chapter Text

After gaining the six infinity stones Thanos had succeeded in wiping out half of all life in the universe.

Once this was done he had taken what was left of the Black Order and fled to a planet in the far reaches of the galaxy; with his lifelong goal completed he could finally rest, as could his ‘children’.

Proxima Midnight stood at top a large grassy hill, despite the view of lush green fields and thriving forests that stretched out before her Proxima closed her eyes, inhaling the vast assortment of smells that lingered in the air, a far cry from the sounds of battles raging and the scent of blood and sweat, an experience she had learned to appreciate, even crave, in her service to Thanos but now the scents of soil, fresh air and numerous plants and flowers where what dominated her senses.

Proxima smiled as a pair of strong lean arms encircled her waist, every muscle in her body relaxed as Corvus leant his chin on her shoulder.

Proxima placed her hands over to her husbands own

“My love” she crooned, resting the side of her head against his.

There had been a moment in the heat of battle when she was certain only one, perhaps neither of them would be leaving the battlefield, for once she was relieved to be wrong.

She felt Corvus frown, his brow furrowing against the skin of her neck as he spoke “After all this time” he rumbled.

Before he could say anymore Proxima spun around in his arms, placing her hands on his chest feeling the material of his cloak had become stiff with dried blood, dirt and sweat

“Always thinking” she observed

“Can’t we just…enjoy it? This…just for now?” she beseeched, Corvus shook his head slightly to clear his head

"Of course, I apologise my dear.” he stated, allowing his clawed hands to wander from Proxima’s hips and up her back

“oh Midnight, my dear Midnight” he sighed, his eyes never leaving hers even as she tilted her head slightly as she gazed at him, his name rolled from his lips lovingly.

But for once Corvus Glaive had no idea what to say to his wife, the mission they had been working towards their entire life was done; their way of life would be entirely different from now on, what words could you say in such a circumstance.

Corvus pulled away slightly

“I made you a promise once, to show you the universe, I know half of its gone now, but I can show you what’s left, if you’ll allow me” he said quietly, even though they were alone, Proxima chuckled

“Where do you propose we start my love? Even with half of it gone the universe is still rather large” she replied feigning a coy smile, watching as Corvus moved passed her to stand near the edge of the hill

“It’s a large planet, could take a good year or so to see its entirety” he mused, looking out at what lay before them; open fields and dense forests, cliffs littered with caves and crevices, deep lakes and waterfalls hundreds of feet high.

Turning from the view Corvus reached a hand out for Proxima he grinned as her eyes lit up, not with bloodlust or the hunger for a battle, but a deep curiosity, an excited need for discovery she hid from anyone but him.

Grinning, Proxima took her husbands’ hand tightly and together they climbed down the hill and into the unknown.

Chapter 23: NOT YOU

Summary:

A mission takes a bad turn and an unexpected fight ensues

Chapter Text

“Corvus?” Proxima hissed into the darkness

Her only source of light was the eerie red glow behind her,  In front was the glow of her spear in her hands, she, her husband and Ebony Maw had been sent to infiltrate a facility and steal some technology Thanos was sure could help aid his search for the Infinity Stones.

There was one rather large obstacle however. The group of techs and scientists in charge of the facility possessed a series of lethal toxins and serums at their disposal – the planet indulged in a very eclectic set of research.

While searching for the item they required, Proxima and Corvus had been separated and Proxima now found herself descending an iron staircase, surrounded by thick wooden crates and steel containers.

It was unlikely that the item was being kept in a musty storage area so Proxima felt no need to root through the boxes and crates she passed as she reached the bottom of the stair and made her way forward, the crack of light in the distance indicated a doorway was located at the opposite end of the large room.

Proxima kept her eyes on the door, her goal for the moment, only looking away to scan to room every so often – on alert for an attack as any good General should be.

Her ears twitched as they registered the quietest of sounds to her right. Whirling round she used her spear to defend herself – the ring of her weapon meeting her opponents echoed through the cavernous storage space. Proxima, who had been knocked back by the force of the blow she’d guarded herself against, strained under her enemy's weight

“Hold on…there’s only one person who’s ever been able to creep up on me like that!” she realized.

Her eyes met her attackers and to her horrified confusion she found herself looking back into the blazing orange eyes of her husband.

Kicking out, Proxima was able to knock Corvus back just enough to allow her to get to her feet and deflect another blow from his glaive

“What are you doing? Corvus it’s me!” she said loudly.

She recived only a snarl in response and  was forced to raise her spear to guard against a flurry of blows he aided at her!

Proxima’s mind raced, why was he attacking her? Had he betrayed her? Thanos? The Order?

'No, that can’t be!’ she thought to herself

There had to be something else.

With her back against a crate she rolled out of the way of another attack. She took a few steps back

“Why are you doing this?” Proxima demanded,

the handle of her spear met the blade of his glaive as Corvus tried to bring it down on her her, she grunted with effort as he pushed down on her but she stood firm.

It was then that Proxima saw, really saw his eyes,they were bright orange as normal but there was a disconnected look to them, a haze that told her all was not as it seemed.

Then she saw the dart – small, red and embedded in an unprotected part of Corvus’ neck; obviously he had been injected with something that had made him turn against his allies – his wife.

Proxima knew she had to fight. If she could knock him down , stun him just long enough to get the dart out…

“so be it” she whispered

Steeling her resolve she went at her husband with everything she had.

 

Proxima stumbled back, clutching her spear.

Pieces of her armour where now missing from where Corvus had grabbed at it viciously with his claws, and her under suit was torn in various places leaving her flesh exposed. Proxima panted from exertion,

“Whatever they gave you certainly improved your fighting skills, my love” she mumbled to herself.

 My now she had realized that her Corvus could not hear her, but she would find him, once she’d defeated him.

Their weapons met in the air once more, they pushed against each other trying to win back the advantage with equal determination. Either one or both of them slipped, it wasn't clear who, but both glaive and spear were sent soaring through the air, landing somewhere in the darkness.

Corvus, who’d said nothing during their fight, only snarled, growled and grunted, resorted to slashing at her with his claws.

She tried to defend the blows but he wretched the spear from her grip and tossed it to one side, kicking her in the gut.

Using her fists and forearms she managed to prevent him from landing the first few punches he threw but he soon had the upper-hand.

As she fell to the floor she screamed as his claws sliced through the material of her suit and cut into her back, blue blood dripped to the floor, Proxima gasped as she crawled as few feet and on her knees she grabbed her spear, only to be slashed across the calf muscle in her leg, making her cry out in pain.

Making use of the thick armour covering her left arm she managed to knock Corvus away from her, the impact if the armour clashing with thebside of his skull made a deafening clang and Corvus fell to the floor, bleeding from his temple.

Proxima got to her feet, leaning heavily on the crates she passed by, finding a gap between two storage containers, she ducked out if sight ti inspect her arm; three deep claw tracks went from one side at the top of her arm to the other.

Ceasing her inspection of her injuries Proxima strained to hear any sign of movement …the room had fallen silent.

She jumped slightly when a loud clatter resounded through the room, she steadied her breathing, quieting her exhales so they were practically inaudible.

Out of the corner of her eye she spotted her spear lying on the floor. It would mean abandoning her protective position.

A second loud clatter tore through the silence and Proxima crawled towards her spear. The moment it was in her hands she spotted Corvus advancing towards her.

She snarled and skittered back, holding her spear defensively in-front of her but Corvus dropped into a crouch

“Wait! Proxima, it’s me, it’s me!” he told her

Proxima swallowed thickly, slowly lowering her weapon as Corvus came towards her, keeping low to the ground to remain on her level.

“It’s me” he repeated.

Proxima looked to his neck – the dart was gone,

"It must have come loose enough for me to regain my senses because I was able to think clearly enough to pull it out.” Corvus informed, dropping the dart at her feet.

After a moment’s hesitation Proxima threw herself at him. Corvus caught her in his arms and held her tightly as she did him

“I’m relieved” she said, her tone shaking more than she wanted to admit.

Corvus rubbed the space between her shoulders,

“I’m sorry, my love” Corvus whispered loudly.

Pulling away he held a hand to her cheek, seeing fresh bruising on her neck and face, but he caught sight of the claw marks on her arm still oozing blood.

Corvus’ eyes widened

“I tried to stop myself, I wanted to... couldn’t…” he stammered slightly

Proxima leant in to his hand

“I knew it wasn’t you, but I don’t understand, the glaive protects you from toxins” Proxima started before a third voice cut in

“A Psychological based serum”

the couple looked up to see Ebony Maw standing at the top of the iron stair case

“The glaive couldn’t counteract it because it simply reworked your mentality rather than attacking your body or brain physically. It’s seems your weapon does have its limits” Ebony Maw drawled.

With his telekinetic abilities he picked up the dart from the floor

“as does this. You’d think such a valuable serum would be able to be injected without having to leave the dart penetrated into the skin.”

Maw pondered out loud, plucking the dart from the air and tucking it into his pocket before turning to leave

“If you two are quite finished with your moment of intimacy, I have acquired what we came here for and informed our lord; shall we return to the sanctuary? Our Master is expecting us within the hour.”

With that he disappeared into the shadows.

Corvus shot a snarl over his shoulder at his departing teammate while Proxima tore away what was left of her sleeve and tied a make shift tourniquet around the top of her arm, above her wounds.

Corvus quickly helped his wife stand by putting her under injured arm around his neck, holding her waist with his other,

“Midnight, once again I apologies…My love you know I would never…” he started, looking to her with concern, almost panic.

Despite the pain in her back and the feeling of blood running down her spine she pressed her forehead to his temple

“I know.” She reassured.

Chapter 24: SUBMERGED

Summary:

Based on a head-cannon I have that Proxima is the only member of the Order that cannot swim and that Corvus is the only one who knows this.

Chapter Text

The mission itself had been simple; infiltrate the targeted planet and dispose of its king, taking and rendezvous with the Sanctuary 2 on a neighbouring planet;

But Proxima and Corvus’ cover had been blown as they made their escape. Proxima grabbed the blaster strapped to her thigh and shot at the group of royal guards pursuing them, armed with high powered weapons and vicious, dog-like creatures that where trained to chase and detain – and only kill when commanded.

Proxima and Corvus had split up and, over their communication bands had agreed to meet at the large frozen lake in the outskirts of the smaller of the two cities dividing the planet.

The lake was lined with dead and broken trees unable to survive the constant, frigid temperature that made up the planets climate.

Proxima rolled behind a tree, holding her spear close to her body, she waited until the guards stopped to reload – giving away the inefficient age of the planets weaponry. Proxima took out three guards herself before a stray blast of enemy fire shot past her ankle – burning a hole through the sturdy material of her suit and unfortunately, the flesh it concealed.

Dropping to one knee, Proxima cried out in pain, glaring at the approaching creatures, snarling and snapping their jaws, anticipating the order to kill.

The commander of the royal guard stepped forward and the snarling and growling creatures fell eerily silent in his presence

“Give it up thief, You’re a dread-lord of the Mad Titan, don’t deny it! You’re to come with us and be detained until the Nova Corps can collect you. You must answer for yours and your masters crimes against the galaxy” the commander stated loudly.

However from the branches of a tree behind them, Corvus dropped to the ground, brandishing his namesake weapon; slaughtering the guards and a handful of their blood-hounds within seconds, the ones that were left scattered and fled.

Leaving the mangled bodies Corvus began to make his way back to his wife

“My love are you alrigh-” Corvus called only for the commander of the royal guard, heavily wounded and bleeding profusely, gave a strangled command in his native language, and out of nowhere one of the dog like creatures, the largest of the ones Proxima had been chased by, leapt out of nowhere.

It threw itself at Proxima, it knocked her off of her feet and sent her rolling across the ground while Corvus gutted the creature as well as the now unconscious Commander.

Corvus looked up and saw Proxima pushing herself to her hands and knees, he took a few strides towards her only to realize that the ground beneath his feet had changed texture.

Proxima was lying close to the centre of the frozen lake.

Carefully Corvus took another few steps forward – listening carefully for any sound that would indicate any sign of the ice breaking beneath him before calling out to his wife,

"Midnight, don't move. You’re on the lake, it’s weakest in the middle” Corvus told her.

She looked down, he was right.

Very slowly, she got to her feet, pausing every few seconds.

Corvus put down his glaive, eyes scanning the ice beneath her feet.

“Just…take it slowly. Keep your eyes on me” he instructed.

Proxima nodded, taking small, tentative steps towards her husband, trying hard not to slip – she knew the water would be below freezing, not only was the very temperature a risk should she fall in, but Proxima could not swim.

Suddenly a loud crack sounded, Proxima glanced down and then to the embankment. Corvus felt his heart stop at the sound and Proxima stiffened, not making any other movement for a few seconds.

Corvus took a breath and moved forward slowly

“Come on…keep going” he encouraged, his arm outstretched and his hand reaching to his wife.

As instructed she kept her eyes on him, and his mouth twitched as her gaze met his, she was almost within reach.

But with another horrendous crack the ice beneath Proxima broke apart; her torso hit the sharp edge and she clawed desperately at the slippery surface to save herself but it wasn’t enough; she fell into the water!

“NO!”

It was unclear who screamed louder but Proxima’s voice was cut off as she disappeared beneath the dark surface.

Corvus raced across the ice to where Proxima had fallen through, sliding onto his stomach as he reached it, he shoved away loose chunks of ice, shouting and calling out in alarm

“No, Proxima, no, no!” he repeated, clawing at the surface of the water trying to see through the clouded water.

He shoved his cloak from his body and slithered into the freezing water head first.

Corvus swam faster than any human; his movements a combination of moving his body up and down and his arms in a breast-stroke motion. Still, the freezing temperature hit his body like a thousand bullets being driven into his body.

Luckily he spotted Proxima quickly; she wasn’t moving and her eyes had shut.

Grabbing her quickly Corvus held her close as he broke the surface of the water, taking in a lungful of air before clambering out of the water.

Corvus grabbed his cloak and carried Proxima safely back to the embankment where he laid her down in the snow

“Proxima?” he said, pushing away the damp strands of hair clinging to her face

“Proxima? My love wake up”

he shook her but Proxima’s head slid to one side, limp, lifeless.

But Corvus wasn’t going to give up on her,

“Midnight?!” he shook her firmly; nothing.

Corvus grabbed at the clasps of her armour, “Proxima, don’t you dare! You are not doing this now...” he growled,

Finally removing and throwing the armour to one side, he then held her nose and breathed into her mouth, he repeated the action twice more before pausing.

With a fearful expression Corvus felt panic starting to settle in…

Suddenly Proxima retched, her body shuddering as she coughed up mouthfuls of water.

With a hand on her shoulder Corvus rolled her onto her side until she’d finished.

Proxima slumped back and her eyes opened

“C-…Corvus…” she choked, shivering violently

, “Sh, you’re alright, it’s alright now” he cupped her face, his thumbs grazing her cheeks over the black marking that reached over the bridge over her nose, forehead and eyes.

His own body suddenly felt drained and heavy with relief, leaning down he leant his forehead to her own, she was shivering violently and clearly shaken.

Breathing heavily Proxima grasped his hand, but winced in pain, her leg jerking, and when Corvus looked down her saw her foot resting in a growing pool of blood, the wound left by the guards blaster was exposed and edged with matted, scorched flesh.

Tearing a piece of material from the arm of his under suit, Corvus tied a tourniquet above the injury, Proxima pushed herself to sit up, supporting the weight of her upper body on her elbows

“thank you” she muttered, Corvus looked to her

“can you stand?” he questioned, she nodded but felt Corvus watching her intently as she stood.

She was still shivering and clearly in pain when she tried to put weight on her injured foot and so Corvus picked up his cloak from the ground and wrapped her in it – the material still warm from his own high body temperature.

 

She staggered but Corvus steadied her before she could fall.

Proxima was about to argue but Corvus shot her a look and she allowed him to support her as they made their way to their waiting Q ship, Proxima found herself suddenly too tired – and too grateful – to argue with her husband.

Chapter 25: NIGHTMARES*

Summary:

Proxima suffers nightmares after a traumatic experience during a mission. This was why she never wanted to love. it made you vulnerable. it made you CARE

Notes:

Set before Proxima and Corvus are married

Chapter Text

Proxima woke with a jolt, cold sweat stuck to her forehead, neck and spine and her breathing was rapid, shaky. For the past month she had been plagued with nightmare-ish images in her mind whenever she tried to sleep.

Yet they were not easy to dismiss as childish or irrational fears because they were true – the smell of blood that was not her own, the gargling sounds of a male drowning in his own blood.

Proxima lurched out of bed and entered her private bathroom, splashing her face with cold water she clawed back control of her breathing and trembling hands.

Going back to her bed she picked up the pillow and blanket without thinking about what she was doing.

Corvus stalked the shadowy halls of the Sanctuary 2, every so often the chittering and scurrying of Outriders lurking the corridors caught his attention.

Due to the regenerative powers of his glaive, the first dreadlords body ran indefinitely, with only only two or three hours of light sleep a night. Since he’d finished his work and decided to take a walk about the ship before retiring.

His mind wandered until he realized his feet had led him to the corridor where Proxima’s chambers where located. In the last few months their purely physical relationship had deepened and they had each admitted and accepted that they felt more deeply for each other than previously thought.

Corvus was about to consider going back to his own chambers, thinking his lover would be fast asleep by this point only to see an Outrider huddled near the wall opposite the door to Proxima’s chambers, it was snapping its jaws and snarling while it’s body stayed tense, moving forward slightly and then back, as though it wanted to move closer to the door but something was holding it at back.

Corvus approached and the Outrider seemed to be trying to alert him to something.

Confused, Corvus shooed the creature away, it scurried down the hall and disappeared into the darkness. Corvus meanwhile, looked to the chambers door, had the Outrider sensed danger maybe? He doubted it, if Proxima were in danger there would be more obvious signs – that was when he heard a sound from inside, a cry perhaps?

Without thinking he pressed the intercom

“Midnight, it’s me. Are you well?” he asked, silently telling himself that when she emerged and gutted him for disturbing her it would be worth it, knowing she was safe.

But there was no answer. Corvus entered the pass code to Proxima’s room (They had exchanged pass codes just last month, before their last mission) Corvus entered and was surprised by what he saw in the dim light.

Proxima, along with just her pillow and blanket, lay curled on the steel floor at the foot of her bed – clearly trapped in the throes of a sever nightmare.

Immediately Corvus went to her, crouching at Proxima’s side

“Midnight, wake up.”

He shook her twitching, perspiring frame. She was mumbling loudly, incoherent but urgent.

Tugging the blanket from her grasp Corvus tried again to wake her, finally she gave a distressed cry, slamming her hand down into the floor before she sat up, breathing heavily and shaking badly.

Corvus caught her shoulders in his hands

“It’s alright, you’re alright. You were having a night terror” he told her, hoping to calm her.

Proxima blinked incomprehendingly at her lover for a moment, her face seemed to be searching his for something until her shoulders slumped and she bowed her head, concealing her face behind a curtain of deep blue hair.

Corvus carefully moved closer to her, Proxima Midnight could possess an unpredictable temperament when she wished, but when she didn’t react Corvus took her in his arms and was mildly surprised when she latched onto the material of his suit, his cape having been left in his own rooms, and Proxima curled her body against his as hard as possible.

Proxima listened to the reassuring thud of Corvus’ heartbeat – the rhythm naturally faster than her own, but it brought her comfort nonetheless.

Her mouth twitch almost into a smile when a comforting rumble sounded through Corvus’ chest, and his clawed hand carded through her tangle of hair. He did so love doing that and she wondered who it brought more comfort to – him or herself .

Once she had relaxed Corvus laid his hand on her back, rubbing soothing circles there,

“Why are you down here on the floor my lady Midnight?” he asked quietly.

Proxima sat  to face him properly, Corvus pushed the front section of her hair away from her face, simultaneously wiping the cold sweat from her forehead.

Proxima sighed

“When I first came here from Sakkaar, I couldn’t get used to the bed, I was used to sleeping on the floor of the cells so I used to simply lie here when I couldn’t get to sleep. It helped, it felt familiar” she admitted and Corvus nodded,

“I understand – it took Obsidian and I months to get used to sleeping in separate chambers. Every night for the first week we were here he would knock at my door, without even opening the doors I simply had to assure him that everything was fine then he would go back to his own rooms –it had been just the two of us for so long” Corvus recalled.

He’d never told anyone this, he even pretended to Cull Obsidian that he didn’t recall such events, but he did.

Corvus stood and held out his hand. Proxima let him take her hand and she got to her feet.

She took the blanket and pillow from the floor and remade her bed while Corvus disappeared into her bathroom.

Proxima, dressed in a pair of of short, loose fitting shorts and a fitted black vest, sat cross-legged near the centre of the bed, gnawing at the side of her thumbnail.

When Corvus returned he held out a glass of water to Proxima, she reluctantly took it, taking a few sips while Corvus sat on the edge of the bed

“Do you want to tell me?”

Proxima stayed silent as she placed the half empty glass on the table beside the bed. Corvus however, could already guess what her nightmare had been about

“It’s about last month, isn’t it” he stated.

Proxima tensed

“It’s the same every night.”

While traveling for their last assigned mission Proxima and Corvus had been overpowered and imprisoned by bounty hunters. They’d both been injected with a numbing agent upon arrival, and with Corvus, seperated from his glaive as Proxima was from her spear, Corvus had been unable to fight of the effects as quickly as he should have been.

They’d thrown the two dread-lords in side-by-side cells.

They'd dumped Proximas'' half conscious body on the floor, Corvus recalled how he had reached for her through the bars separating their cells as soon as the bounty hunters had left.

She was just out of his reach. Proxima’s eyes had rolled back and she fell unconscious once more.

She’d had no idea how long she’d been there but when she woke she was horrified by the sight in front of her.

Corvus Glaive’s body hung from hooks lodged through his hands, his eyes completely missing from his skull, his mouth hung open with thick black blood dripping from his jaws.

His clothing was torn and chunks of flesh was missing, exposing his ribs along with other bone and muscle that shouldn’t ever be on display.

Proxima had sat up at dizzying speed and thrown herself backwards so that she was pressed against the wall – Corvus had died only once in the years since she’d joined the Order, and Proxima had never been witness to it before.

She rolled to one side, retching violently – a useless instinct since her stomach was empty after two days without food. With a hand over her mouth Proxima's eyes flitted back and forth from the greusome scene.

She wondered how…if…Corvus would recover from this, his glaive had been taken along with her own weapons and locked away.

Proxima shut her eyes, kept her face turned away, fearing she would be driven mad by the sight of the male she had come to love in a way she’d never imagined, hanging from steel hooks, nothing but a bloodied, eyeless corpse before her.

It must have been hours later when Proxima heard it, that wretched gurgling sound as Corvus body mended itself, tortuously slow, his lungs thick with congealed blood that needed to be shifted in order for him to breathe properly.

-

In the present Proxima told him of the images that haunted her when she slept, she felt her stomach churn at the memory, with the back of her hand pressed to her mouth she turned away.

 It was not her own torture that plagued Proxima’s night mares.

Corvu put his hand to her back and lent close to her,

“But we got out. Obsidian and the Maw made sure of that – and the glaive did its job; I am still here, with you” he reassured, knuckling her temple and pressing a kiss to her jaw.

Proxima took a breath and faced him again

“This is new territory for me – I’ve never felt love before, not like this, not the way I love you.” She admitted

“I…I'm afraid. Afraid that loving you makes me vulnerable, weak. Because now I know what love feels like I never want to lose it – I never want to lose you. What happened has made me realize that more completely than I ever thought possible” Proxima confessed, clutching his hand in hers.

With his free hand Corvus cupped her cheek

“Proxima”

The rare use of her first name was enough to convey how serious he was taking this, as she hoped he would.

But there was nothing he could say in that moment, as Thanos Generals there was no guarantee, no promise they would live beyond their next assigned mission, and Corvus would not insult her by lying, he knew she understood well enough their chosen lifestyle.

Proxima knew he could say nothing at this point and simply said

“Stay”

She pushed her cheek against his hand and held his other hand tighter

“Stay here tonight” she requested.

They'd had sex countless times, in her bed and his, but  only actually slept side by side in the same bed a handful of times, but Corvus didnt have to think before answering.

“I’ll stay”

He embraced her as they made themselves more comfortable and pulled the blankets over to cover them

“For as long as you want me, fornas long as you'll allow me, I’ll stay” he vowed.

Proxima curled against him in silent acknowledgment of his words

'Always’ she found herself thinking but sleep claimed her before she could ponder this involuntary thought.

Chapter 26: SCORCHED

Summary:

Proxima suffers an injury during a mission gone haywire
based on my headcannon on why Proxima wears armour on her left arm and right leg in the movie

Chapter Text

Proxima and Corvus panted heavily as they raced through the corridors of the parliament building. They’d been sent infiltrate and destroy or otherwise sabotage the planets most advanced weapons and transport systems while Ebony Maw and Cull Obsidian oversaw the genocide of half the planets populace. However they had been apprehended before they’d been able to leave unnoticed.

They’d been brought before the Government leader in chains but they had underestimated the strength and power of the Black Order.

The guards had barley any time to react before Proxima had re-called her confiscated spear from the grasp of a guard and used it to break hers and her husbands restraints, Corvus had then taken a detonator from his pocket and activated it.

Destroying not only the weapons labs, armoury and transport hanger but the entire first second and third floors.

The remaining guards and their leader where swiftly dealt with but the entire building was now extremely unstable and in complete chaos.

More guards, the ones who were not running to save their own hides from the collapsing building, were chasing after the Black Order Generals.

The couple skid around a corner, darting either side of an open doorway to avoid the fire of blasters, Corvus’ communication band vibrated and bleeped with a message which Corvus accepted, a small, grainy hologram of Ebony Maw appeared, hovering a few centimetres above Corvus’ wrist

“Have you completed the task required?” he asked calmly,

Corvus glanced at Proxima who fired blasts of black energy at their attackers from her side of the doorway, Corvus looked back to his waiting teammate

“There’s been some…complications” he answered.

More shots were fired and he felt their heat as the blasts flew past just inches from his face while Proxima fired another blast of energy which hit guards hand – causing his weapon to explode, taking out the guard and his three companions.

Corvus and Proxima ducked behind the wall in order to avoid the edges of the blast.

The Ebony Maw was unimpressed

“Then do hurry so that we can leave this planet – if we are to deliver new of failure to our master he will be even less pleased should we remain here longer than necessary”

he pursed his lips in displeasure, Corvus ended the transmission

“Sanctimonious son of a-”

Corvus grumblings were cut short by Proxima’s urgent shout

“Corvus!”

She got to her feet quickly just as he did, then Corvus saw it.

Fire was now tearing through the building at an alarming rate.

The couple hesitated for a split second

“Go. NOW!” Corvus roared.

They ran as fast as possible in the opposite direction.

Corvus tapped the panel of his communication band.

“Brother?”

It was Cull Obsidian’s deep growling tone that responded this time

Corvus spoke quickly as he ran

“Cull, were heading to the west side of the building, seventh floor, we need you here now!”

He glanced at Proxima without her realizing, she was tio focused on the path in front of her, on keeping as much distance between them and the fire, which was spreading rapidly..

The heat was becoming unbearable, as the couple continued to run, where, it wasn’t yet clear, but they needed to get out; fast.

Smoke was forming in thick clouds above them and getting thicker by the minute, causing them to slow down, barely able to see where they were going.

Corvus heard Proxima coughing, in-spite of her holding her arm up her face to protect herself from the smoke

“Where do we go?” she rasped

They’d not passed any stairways which would lead to the lower floors.

Corvus glanced around, squinting through the smoke, before grabbing her wrist

“There!”

Tugging her after him as he led them to a large floor to ceiling window, he put his arm out to stop her going further before using his glaive to smash the thick glass – they both let out a cry as the exposure to air fed the flames which crept closer and closer.

Corvus tried to contact Cull once again

“Cull where are you? You need to get here now! The building is in flames and we’ve no way of getting out” he informed.

His tone calm but Proxima could hear the edge in his voice – he was worried. This, in turn, worried her

“Where are they?” she asked loudly over the roar of the flames.

 She was hit with another outburst of coughing  and a wave of dizziness caused by the unbearable heat and inhalation of smoke.

Corvus was about to reply when something in the lower levels gave way, making the unstable building shudder violently.

Corvus crouched, steadying himself with one hand while the other still clutched his glaive but Proxima lost her footing, just as two heavy pillars disconnected from the floor and ceiling holding them in place

“Proxima!”

Corvus warning came too late; the pillars and part of the ceiling came down around them in a crash!

Corvus was forced to turn away as he was suddenly blinded by an even thicker wave of smoke along with the dust and grit that had been swept up by the force of the falling pillar.

When he looked back Corvus was surrounded by flames flickering at his ankles, he hissed as they scorched his feet but the glaive quickly mended his flesh as  his eyes scanned the floor for his wife.

Wheeb he finally spotted her,  Corvus was at her side immediately; she was lying on her stomach, trapped and motionless beneath the pillars.

Corvus touched her face

“Midnight? My love…Proxima!" he tried to rouse her, fearing the worst.

She finally choked out a deep breath and Corvus almost slumped with relief

“Don’t try to move, you’ll only do more damage to yourself” he instructed,

His hand came to cup her jaw which was now blackened with soot from the floor.

She winced and gave a cry of pain

“hurts!” she said, gritting her teeth.

Corvus gave her an understanding look

“I know, I know, it won’t for much long just let me-“

Corvus looked over to where the beams had fallen – luckily it didn’t look like they had fallen on where any major organs where located nor across any vital bones in her spine meaning he should be able to move them with limited risk to Proxima’s life.

The pillars, still alight with flames, had owever fallen across her right leg and left arm.

Corvus moved into position and looked to Proxima

“Do you think you can push up with your hands? It’ll help me lift them” he asked

She nodded once

“I can try” 

Only one arm was free enough to move so Corvus responded with a nod of his own

“Ready? Now!” he told her.

After a few moments of straining to lift the pillars Corvus was forced to stop and Proxima gave another cry of pain as she collapsed under her own weight

“It's no good. I think my arm is broken, my other one is stuck, I can’t move it at all” she added, trying to supress her panic, her chest tightened painfully making it harder to breath.

Corvus had left the pillar and returned to her side, she was becoming unresponsive and close to passing out due to the smoke.

Then, a shout was heard, Corvus looked up to see a Q-ship hovering just outside the window, Cull opened the door and leapt inside, landing so heavily that the building gave another precarious tremor.

Never had he been more glad to see his brother

Corvus shouted to him through the smoke

“Cull! Proxima’s trapped, get these beams off of her!” he ordered.

He took Proximas' free hand 

“Hold on my love, it’ll hurt but not for long, we’ll get you out” he promised.

As Cull Obsidian heaved the pillars away one at a time, Corvus felt his bones crack in her tightened grip and Proxima screamed. Gasping in relief and pain she suddenly went lax, over come by the smoke and the amount of pain she was in.

Corvus lifted her into his arms and boarded the ship with Cull.

With Proxima unconscious in his arms, Corvus watched from the window as the blazing building crumbled into a pile of burning rubble.

 

After a prolonged stay in the medical unit and an extended leave of duties, Proxima eventualy made an almost full recovery. But her left arm and right leg would never be the same.

Beneath the  armour she wore into battle, under the durable layer of her black under suit, her arm and leg would remain burned and scared for the rest of her life, weakened by irreparable muscle and tissue damage.

Skin grafts could only do so much and she was reluctant to have the limb entirely replaced with the cybernetics Thanos had been eagerly experimenting with as of late.

Instead he'd commissioned a set of armour that strengthened her weakened limbs so that when worn there was no evidence of the damage that lay underneath.

 

One evening Corvus had opened the door to the washroom connected to their chambers, Proxima, who was standing naked from the waist up in-front of the sink, jumped, startled by his sudden appearance which was odd since her senses was as sharp as a flint.

Corvus apologised

“I didn’t realize ” he said

“what are you doing?”

Proxima frowned

“nothing” she retorted defensively, but Corvus had already seen.

He’d caught the way she’d snapped her arm back to her side when he’d entered.

She’d been examining her injured arm in the cracked mirror above the sink, she reached for the worn grey robe thrown on the floor but Corvus stepped forward

“Don’t” he stated.

Proxima looked to him in surprise as she picked up the robe but Corvus planted himself in front of her, gingerly taking her scarred hand, with gentle force he made her drop the robe back to the floor

“You don’t have to do that, you know you don’t” he scolded gently.

Proxima refused to look anywhere but to the side, her eyes fixed to the steel floor. Deep down she did know it, but instinct was a hard thing to fight sometimes.

She had never considered herself vain , she cared little for the battle scars she had gathered over the years but her arm, and her opposite leg…it was different; the damage deeper and more obvious when not covered by a layer of clothing and armour.

Proxima hadn’t realized she’d been silent for almost half a minute until Corvus' hand, the one not holding her own, trailed up her arm softly, making her shiver.

When she finally looked to him she saw her husband’s attention was no longer on her face but her burned arm; one hand holding hers while his other traced and touched each healed burn carefully, turning the limb in his hand as he examined the same path his hand took.

Proxima knew not to say anything, instead she tightened her grip on his hand, her grip weaker than it had once been but still strong.

Corvus pressed his face to her neck

“Do not ever hide from me my lady Midnight” his voice far from commanding and firm but soft, almost pleading

“That, I cannot stand” he admitted.

Proxima slowly took her hand away from his and wrapped her arms around him, his hands came to rest on her hips, she made a comforting sound in her throat

“Never again.” She vowed, and she was as good as her word – in private she never tried to cover her scars from him again.

Chapter 27: AFTERLIFE

Summary:

Proxima and Corvus reunite after their deaths in Infinity Wars

Chapter Text

Corvus woke violently , his clawed hands came to his chest where, just seconds ago he had been impaled by his own glaive.

‘Damn that android’ Corvus thought to himself.

Getting to his feet and glancing around he found he was no longer in Wakanda on Terra, but in a vast open space, thick mist swirled up to his ankles obscuring Corvus’ view of solid ground almost entirely, even as he scanned the floor in search of his namesake weapon he found no sign of it.

A firm, yet ethereal voice caught the dread-lord off guard

“You will not find it Corvus Glaive. There is no need for weapons here” .

Corvus looked around trying to find the source of the voice, unsuccessfully.

“And here is…?” Corvus demanded, wary of the voice with no physical form which replied

“You already know the answer to your question Corvus Glaive, you have been traveling the dge of this world and yours for many years now.”

Corvus made a sound of understanding,

“I expected a burning pit of eternal damnation and torment.” He grumbled

Anyyone that had overheard might have mistaken his tone for disappointment.

The voice softened as it responded; the even tone almost amused

“I am afraid not. Even with your tangled web of countless crimes in service to your master, the mad Titan, and your immeasurable sins in service to yourself, despite all of this there is one thing that grants you redemption.”

The mist parted and a familiar feeling crept through Corvus, whether it was his mind or his body that sensed it he didn’t know but when he turned he saw a figure sitting on the steps of a raised dais.

Without hesitation Corvus moved towards the figure, he knew exactly who it was.

Proxima Midnight sat on the steps of the platform, getting to her feet as Corvus approached her and met him at the bottom of the steps, he took the tops of her arms in his hands firmly and she caught the material of his under-suit in her fists, the rough treatment only reassuring each-other of their partners presence.

Corvus wrapped her in a tight embrace still with her hands at his chest

“My love” Proxima sighed, unable to think of anything more to say.

Corvus pulled away suddenly

“Wait, if you are here then...no, how?” Corvus questioned,

His eyes boring through hers intently; she’d died in battle as he had!

Proxima pursed her lips and anger flashed in her amber eyes

“Thrown into a Thresher, that red witch and her little friends….”

Her her grip on the material of his suit tightened, had it been made of anything else it would have torn apart in her hands

“You?” she asked, almost afraid of his answer.

Corvus sighed

“The Android, the Witchs' compainon. Ironic, no?”

Proxima hesitated but finally chuckled, he was well adapt at making her feel better with only the shortest quip, the smallest gesture or the faintest facial expression.

Proxima watched Corvus look upwards, to the detailed archway at the top of the platform, a thick silver haze separated whatever was on the other side from their view, she and her husband made their way up the steps until Corvus was able to reach out and try to push his hand through the shimmering barrier – to no avail.

Proxima shook her head

“I’ve tried going through, it’s not possible” she stated.

Corvus turned to look out at the vast empty wasteland they’d found themselves in,

“It seems we are to just linger here for eternity” Proxima grumbled.

Corvus had never held any true expectations of an afterlife, but if he had this would definitely not be it.

That is not necessarily true Proxima Midnight

Proxima’s stance became defensive when the ethereal voice that had addressed Corvus before, answered her statement

"Two souls that are so deeply entwined may only full pass on to the next life in the same way they lived their first” 

Proxima scoffed

“Hm, well that’s as clear as Orloni excrement” she said, crossing her arms.

Corvus offered her a look of agreement but ran his hand over the intricate cravings in the archway, across the top were some carvings which, before their eyes, changed into words they could read.

/For you I will eternally wait.

For you and I, not life nor death will separate.

When our souls reunite, only then will my world once again be bright.

Hands unite and lets us move toward the light. /

Corvus frowned, unable to make out its meaning.

Beside him Proxima looked at her hand briefly and re-read the words written above them

“I think I know. I know why we can’t move through.”

Proxima held her hand out so that her palm faced the silver barrier, fingers spread out

“Do this” she instructed.

Trusting his wife, Corvus copied her. Proxima then rested her hand over the back of his, lining her fingers up against his and guided their hands forward so that it came into contact with the vail, but instead of being blocked this time, their hands slowly pushed straight through.

The couple gave identical sounds of amazement – genuine amazement.

They shared a long look, grinning at each other before walking through the silver vail between the archway and a warmth unlike anything they’d ever felt, washed over the two Black Order Generals, separated not even by death itself.

Chapter 28: IMMORTAL

Summary:

Even the Black Order needs a break. But one particular newly married member has a deep concern on his mind that prevents him from feeling relaxed

Notes:

Inspired by a conversation and prompt on Black Order discord

Chapter Text

 It was a little known fact that that even Thanos’ loyal dread-lords, the Black Order needed…down time.

This privilladge was granted depending on the success or failure of a mission, obtaining a significant tribute from a designated planet and showing particular improvement in various fields – weapons, physical combat etc.

In short the better the Order served their master, the better they were rewarded.

By Thanos’ permission, Cull Obsidian, Corvus Glaive and Proxima Midnight were granted four days respite at the same time.

The first day and night were spent on Varga – an entire planet that resembled Earths’ Las Vegas.

After an afternoon and half a night of gambling and drinking, the three made their way to their second destination – the atmosphere could not have been more different than Varga – instead of mansions equipped with every kind of betting and gambling pass time, sleazy bars and Lap Dance clubs, with the latter being attended by Cull alone.

their second respite destination was a planet inhabited in only the remote and well concealed sections, dense forests surrounded the beaches made up of black sand and the clearest water in the galaxy.

“How many times have I warned you not to go there, brother? You’ll only end up pushing her away” Cull rumbled.

His hands were folded on his massive chest as he rested against the sturdy trunk of an enormous tree, it’s branches spread wide enough to shade even Obsidian’s hulking frame from the rays of the slowly setting sun.

Corvus however displayed a far less relaxed composure than his brother; pacing the black sand infront of his younger sibling, his clawed hand fidgeting with the handle of his glaive.

The Glaive wielder had been acting oddly even before the respite had started and Proxima, who for the time being was nowhere to be seen, had started to notice that something was not sitting right with her husband – the couple had married not three months prior.

Corvus had insisted he was simply in need of rest, and that once they had enjoyed their brief respite he would be fine. Cull Obsidian however remained unconvinced.

Corvus ceased his pacing and turned to Cull

“How can I not ‘go there’ as you put it? When she comes to the same realization she will undoubtedly regret entering this union with me!” Corvus insisted heatedly

Cull sighed

“And you think bringing it up here and now is going to make it any easier for her to hear what you have to say?” he countered

 He really believed his brother simply derived some sick, masochistic pleasure from complicating matters for himself.

Before the conversation could continue a loud bellow was heard in a section of the forest, seconds later, a few metres from Corvus and Cull, a large cat like creature with nine lashing tails all tipped with steel scythes.

The creature bounded forward only to stop suddenly and rear back - Proxima Midnight clutched the thick fur at the wild animals neck, with a cry she drove her spear deep into the cats skull – it yowled in agony and toppled forward.

Corvus raced closer, followed by Cull, the brother’s watched Proxima heave her spear free, sending a spray of greenish blood in various directions before stepping down the now dead animals’ snout.

She threw her spear over one shoulder, resting it there lazily

“ready for dinner, boys?” she smirked.

Cull chuckled but Corvus’ attention was on her arm; bare thanks to the form-fitting, sleeveless top she wore, the collar set low in contrast to her normal black all in one suit.

Cull Obsidian lifted the carcus of Proxima’s kill and left to skin it in order to cook it for their meal, Proxima turned to Corvus when he caught her wrist, examining the deep scratch on her right arm; it was about four inches long and seeping thick blue blood.

Proxima however had only just noticed the wound

“Don’t look so concerned” she said lightly, thinking nothing of it

“I’ve had worse remember” 

Seeing the seriousness in Corvus lingering gaze she realized her blithe tone was not appreciated.

Corvus tugged her hand

“You should wash it before it can get infect” he instructed to Proxima’s surprise

“Don’t be ridicule-“

She didn’t finish her statement because Corvus had pulled her to the waters’ edge and made her sit in the sand while he knelt beside her cleaning the wound diligently.

Proxima remained silent, gritting her teeth when the natural salt in the ocean made her wound sting.

When the wound stopped bleeding and Corvus was finally satisfied, Proxima decided to speak

“My love why so concerned for my welfare all of a sudden?” she questioned, it certainly wasn’t like him to doubt her abilities nor her sense of self-preservation.

Corvus patted the wound dry with the edge of his cloak without even looking at his wife of just three months

“I don’t know what you’re talking about” he grumbled.

Proxima scoffed

“We cannot lie Corvus – any of us, you know that so don’t insult my intelligence by trying” she said, trying hard to keep the accusing tone out of her voice

“Do you have so little confidence in me that you cannot even be honest with me?” she asked, already knowing his answer but if she could goad him enough perhaps he would talk to her.

Corvus snapped his head to face her, his eyes almost blazing with a startling array of emotions

“You know that is not it. I would not have asked you to be mine if that were the case” he told her sternly .

Proxima laid her hand over his

“Then tell me” she countered, just as firmly. Their gazes met in a drawn out stare – each willing the other to break first.

Corvus sighed, defeated.

He lifted a hand to her cheek, making sure his claws did not even come close to breaking the skin, it was then Proxima saw, and felt just how troubled Corvus’ mind truly was, with what she was about to find out. He spoke after a short moment of hesitation

“Proxima…I am immortal – with certain conditions but immortal nonetheless, you are not so.” He said, as though she was entirely unaware of this fact

Proxima frowned

“So? This has never bothered you before.” she said, Corvus shook his head

“First of all that is not my point and second of all it most certainly has” he answered without irritation.

Proxima crossed her legs in the sand listening as Corvus continued

“Does it not occur to you that unless my glaive is destroy or broken I cannot die, even from age?” he looked to Proxima who shrugged

“Well, I did assume that was part of the conditions of immortality” she said, trying not to tease too much, Corvus almost growled

“Don’t you see what I’m trying to say woman? It means you will most likely die long before my time in this world is through!?” Corvus clarified loudly in frustration, taking his hand from her face quickly.

Proxima fell quiet. Her shoulders slumped and her fiery red eyes avoided his, falling to watch her fingers bury into the coal coloured sand beneath them. Corvus regretted his attitude immediately

“My love, I apologise, I didn’t meant to -”

He was cut off by Proxima’s now emotionless, more guarded tone

“It has crossed my mind more times than you might think” she said, taking Corvus off guard, she’d never mentioned it.

Proxima went on

“I do not fear death, you know this.” she assured fiercely

“I fear losing you, I fear being separated from you in the way death separates the living and the dead.” She admitted, feeling relieved as she finally spoke the fears that plagued the deepest recesses of her battle-hardened heart and mind.

Proxima met Corvus gaze once more

“But even if I fall, whether its years before or mere seconds before you, I know you’ll carry on – you’ll do everything to ensure Thanos obtains the stones and completes his life’s’ ambition.”

Proxima’s gaze had become almost pleading as she spoke

“There was more to us than just each-other before we came to be together, if one of us falls there will still be breath in the survivor’s bodies. If I fall before you Corvus Glaive you have to swear that you will live, that you won’t give up, on the Order, Thanos, yourself, any of it” Proxima insisted

“And I will promise to do the same should you fall before I do.”

Corvus nodded

“Even if you fall my love, I will live, for both of us” he vowed.

Proxima smiled, concealing the relief that washed through her, she lifted her hand and put her index and middle finger to the bridge of Corvus’ nose, he closed his eyes and relaxed instantly.

Proxima smirked proudly as an actual purr of pleasure resounded from Corvus’ throat. Removing her hand she inturn relaxed within seconds as Corvus brought his hand back to her cheek, his thumb tracing the skin under eye, his fingers brushing the skin around the base of her horn, making her shudder despite her effort to suppress it.

A second later Proxima’s eyes shot open again, Corvus was on his feet and removing his cloak and to her surprise, his under suit. Admiring the view Proxima smiled

“What are doing?” she asked, after a moment Corvus answered simply by diving head first into the ocean.

Proxima rolled her eyes and waited a few moments until Corvus resurfaced in a deeper part of the water, he swam toward her until he stood so that the soft waves almost washed up to his chest

“Join me?” he suggested, inclining his head to the water.

Proxima, who was now on her feet, let her smile disappear entirely

“Corvus you know I can’t”

. She wasn’t afraid of the water necessarily but lakes and oceans where non-existent on her home world, and she’d not seen it since she was perhaps eight or nine cycles old therefore she had never learned to swim.

Corvus was the only other person in the universe who knew it – even Thanos himself had no idea. Corvus stepped nearer the shore

“You don’t need to be able to swim to stand in the water. Nothing will happen to you” Corvus promised, keeping his voice down knowing that Proxima was edgy about others finding out.

She hesitated but Proxima quickly stripped of her suit down to her underwear and strapless bra, walking into the lenient waves with more caution than Corvus had ever known her to show.

When she froze as the light breeze made the waves rise slightly, Corvus was in front of her, taking her hand

“it’s fine, you’re fine” he whispered.

She gripped his hand tightly beneath the water’s surface and let Corvus guied her deeper into the ocean. When the waves lapped past her torso Proxima stood firm, not intending to move any further but her grip on her husband had slackened yet he kept hold of her anyway

“It’s so warm” she commented, Corvus smiled as her tense expression and uptight body language melted away, her eyes closed as she savoured the warmth of the water

“The heat from the sun during the day heats the waters’ surface, as the day goes on the heat sinks and spreads deeper, especially in the shallows since it takes less time for the heat to sink through to the shallower parts” Corvus explained leaning close to Proxima.

A soft sound of acknowledgment was all she offered, so lost in both the sensation of the water she always avoided at all costs, and the sound of Corvus’ voice as he gave his explanation; his voice never failed to be both calming and invigorating at the same time.

Proxima was broken from her almost trance-like state by Corvus addressing her

“My love, will you…let me try something?” he requested, his body half an inch apart from hers, “what?” she asked, hoping she didn’t sound as suspicious as she felt

Corvus’ hands found her waist beneath the water

“You trust me?” he met her gaze

“With my life” she responded – there was no other answer she would ever give to that question.

Corvus nodded once and instructed her to put her hands on his shoulders, she did so and felt his grasp on her waist tighten not painfully (Never) just firmly.

Slowly Corvus leant back in the water and kicked off from where they stood, the force of the action sent them gliding quickly through the water, their heads remained above the surface and as they came to a lazy stop Corvus remained afloat, with Proxima straddling his waist.

Proxima chuckled as Corvus righted himself, but she realized she could no longer touch the ground, Corvus manoeuvred her so that her legs were wrapped securely around his waist

“You’re fine, it’s alright” he reassured, treading water to keep them steady.

In that moment Corvus struggled to comprehend that she had agreed to be his, and agreed to let him be hers in return. Their bodies swaying slightly in the waves of the clear ocean Proxima

kept her arms wrapped around Corvus’ neck, “Have I mention how in love with you I am?” she wondered out loud, her two-toned voice even and low, Corvus chuckled “You have, but even if we had a thousand years together I would never tire of hearing it” he said

“Midnight. My lady Midnight” he rumbled, pressing their foreheads together.

Corvus made sure that he memorized this moment completely – the scent of his wife’s skin mixed with sea-salt, the feel of her body wrapped intently around his, from the sight of her bare apart from her underclothing, legs around his waist and looking at him with such a look of adoration Corvus was sure he felt his chest ach and his heart stop for a second, to the taste of her tongue against his as she pulled him in for a passionate kiss he would remember this until the day he died, even if she should depart this life before him he would remember this – if nothing else.

And in the calm silence of the beach planet, Proxima did the same.

Meanwhile, back on the shore by the largest tree that lined the beach Cull Obsidian had started a fire and was finishing the preparation to cook the wild-cat Proxima had killed, he watched the exchange only for a second, nodding once to himself before turning away. He was glad his older brother had found happiness with his lady Midnight, and she with him.

Chapter 29: ADMISSION*

Summary:

Just because you don't say the words, doesn't mean you don't feel them. But sometime saying them is necessary - in case you don't get another chance

Chapter Text

Their intended target fled with Corvus, Proxima and Cull folloing determinedly at various speeds; Corvus, being the fastest was close on enemy males heels until he, the target, reached a high mound of rubble and fallen logs that created a dead end in the canyon the Black Order where pursuing him down. Cornered, the male clambered up the pile of debris, Corvus hesitated, only for a moment but it was enough time for Proxima and Cull to catch him up

Proxima stepped forward – intending on following the target but Corvus cut his arm across her path

“I'll go” he decided. Holstering his glaive on his back he used his claws to aid is asent and he soon found himself catching up with the fleeing enemy.

As soon as he had closed enough of the space between them Corvus used one hand to reach for his weapon; with a well-aimed thrust of his arm the blade had pierced the other males chest; right where his beating heart was placed.

Corvus jerked his arm to remove the rasping, dying creature from the end of his glaive with a triumphant snarl, but as he did so, something else happened, something he wasn’t able to prevent.

Proxima smirked as the corpse of their target was hurled through the air, landing somewhere of little importance; another victory to report to Thanos.

However just as she finished this thought she saw Corvus lurch backwards; the log he had been standing upon had snapped under his weight, in the same few seconds Corvus crashed through a number of these fallen logs as Proxima watched, unable to do anything

“No!” In moments Corvus was trapped under a pile of rubble with a plank of wood falling across his spine just as the mound began to collapse around him.

Proxima lowered her arm, which she had lifted to protect her eyes from the cloud of dust that followed the collapse, gasping when she saw Corvus’ hand hanging limply from under a fallen pile of rocks and wood Behind her Cull spoke urgently

“The glaive” He then thudded forward with Proxima overtaking him easily.

Shoving away logs and pieces of wood she then started to dig, pushing away fistfuls of rock and dirt, calling to Cull as she did so

“Where is it?” she demanded. As long as they found the glaive intact things would be fine she told herself furiously

She could hear Cull pushing away larger sections of rubble than she was able to, determined to find his brothers invaluable weapon

“working on it!” he retorted without stopping.

At that moment Proxima made progress; heaving aside one last log she found him!

Still trapped beneath various pieces of debris, Corvus coughed up a mouthful of black blood

“Midnight” he rasped, spotting her through half lidded eyes. lumping with relief Proxima moved closer but with caution, when he was within reach she stretched her arm down to him, only just able to reach his hand which grasped her own

“I’m here, Cull’s going to find the glaive and we’ll dig you out” she told him firmly, but she noticed how lax his hold on her was becoming

“May be…a bit late for that” Corvus choked, but Proxima shook her head defiantly

“Sh, don’t! Just, just stay awake, Corvus!” she said loudly, gripping his hand tighter.

She could hear Cull searching for the glaive still, but she feared it would be found broken, damaged even then Corvus may not be able to…

Proxima’s breathing hitched

“Corvus if you love me as I love you, you’ll stay awake.” She all but pleaded. With Cull too engrossed in his search and Ebony Maw waiting for their return in a Q-ship eight miles away, she had little reservation regarding her words, but Corvus looked up at her in surprise

“That…that’s the first time you’ve admitted you love me” he tried to smirk despite the pain and growing numbness in his legs.

Proxima’s eyes widened as she realized he was right – while he had professed his love for her months ago, Proxima had been far more hesitant about saying the words but that didn’t mean she did not feel them

“It…it is, and I shall repeate it every day if that is what you wish” she vowed, feeling her chest tighten uncomfortably and her eyes sting with tears she refused to acknowledge.

Corvus grip slackened further

“I hope so, because I could never tire of hearing you say it” he said.

Cull Obsidian suddenly shouted from nearby

“I have it, brother!” the larger alien tugged the weapon free from where it had been wedge in the rubble.

Proxima released a sound of extreme relief

“We have it! Corvus just hold on” she urged

“You cannot allow me to finally say the words and leave me seconds after!” she scolded, he was slipping away fast.

“Do not worry my lady Midnight – I’ll return to you soon, I swear it.” Corvus struggled with his last breath before falling still and silent.

Proxima hung her head, cursing violently.

Her hands curled into fists as they began to shake but she forced herself to stand

Cull, now standing on solid ground behind her spoke gravely

“The glaive is intact. A few days and he’ll be back” he reassured, slightly awkwardly.

Proxima nodded “I know. I just…”

Proxima clenched her jaw, behind her Cull nodded his large head once, he understood, even if Proxima wasn’t able to admit it, it was an un-nerving thing to watch someone you care for, the only person you care for, die before your eyes and even though Corvus would regenerate soon enough it was a hard thing to remember that fact when he was lying dead before them in that moment.

Regaining her composure Proxima dug out Corvus body and hauled him down to the ground where Cull lifted his older brother over one shoulder while Proxima took the glaive from Cull’s other hand, her hold on the handle tight; ready to defend the weapon with her life if need be .

Once they reached the Q-ship and could return to the Sanctuary 2 the only thing left would be to wait for Corvus’ broken body to repair itself.

Chapter 30: CONTENTMENT

Notes:

Big thanks to Dragonisprime for the idea! It's a little different than I'm used to writing but it was fun to try out :)

Update - Re-read this chapter and decided to expand on it

Chapter Text

"Is that blood?"

Proxima looked over her shoulder

“No…?” she replied

Corvus raised his brow inquisitively

“Was that a question or a statement?” he asked, setting his glaive against the wall and shrugging his cloak from his shoulders

Proxima, stood at the counter of the small kitchen unit that made up a small section of their chambers, returned her attention to the task at hand:  preparing hers and her husbands’ meal

“Yes” she replied smirking.

Corvus frowned

“Ye-do you…Hm, never mind” he rolled his eyes and dropped the subject.

It wasn't that he'd never seen her splattered with blood before, of course, but they'd not been out on tribute collections for the last few weeks and their next planetary target in need of 'cleansing' was about a weeks’ flight away. Corvus watched as Proxima worked; on the counter in front of her was a large, bloody slab of uncooked meat and Proxima was indeed up to her wrists in blood, with a large smear of the dark red substance across her cheek and in the process of removing the bones from the meat.

Corvus swallowed as he took in the sight

“Blood…always looks so good on you” he growled affectionately.

Proxima shot him a look and laughed

“Get over here and help me and I’ll reward you for that compliment later” she retorted.

Immediately Corvus approached to stand behind her, wrapping his arms around her and for a few faltering seconds the scent of blood and…her, was all he could take in. If he could choose that scent over plain, ordinary, life-preserving oxygen then he would suffocate gladly.

Burying his face against Proxima’s neck he inhaled again, tightening his hold on her waist causing her laugh

“I said later! I’m hungry. And so are you, you havn’t eaten in three days.” she pointed out Her fingers working quickly and efficiently as she removed any trace of left over bones embedded in the meat.

Reluctantly Corvus untangled himself from Proxima, choosing a jar of seasoning from the shelf and handing it to her.

She took note of his expression as she took the object from him

“Don’t look so dejected my love” she soothed

“I’ll make it worth the wait” she smirked, tipping a small amount of seasoning into her hand and sprinkling it over the meat; rolling it in her hands a few times before dropping it onto the chopping board again.

Corvus caught her eye

“Don’t you always?” he answered; it was rare, these moments, when they exchanged lazy banter and even…flirting.

Proxima smiled
“I try my best” she retorted

Corvus set about skinning vegetables and dropped them into the pan already boiling on the stove – similar but more advanced that Terran cooking stoves – before taking a large beaker filled with a foaming green vitamin drink and dividing it between two glasses, one for himself one for Proxima, who grimaced slightly at the sight of the health drink

“Ah for a decent wine about now” she grumbled

Corvus agreed
“I know, but until we reach the next port our supplies are basic at best” he reminded her.

Proxima sighed and lent back against the counter casually

“So how was it?” she inquired.

Corvus snorted

“I wanted to gouge the Maws eyes from his skull by the time it was halfway through” he snarled.

Proxima made a mock sound of sympathy but she wasn’t looking at her husband but at her bloodied hand, staring at it with interest before bringing a finger to her mouth, sucking until it was cleaned of the thick red substance.

Corvus meanwhile had to remind himself to breath for a moment

“Must you tease my love?” he growled.

Proxima smirked

“What can I say, you’re just so much fun to toy with my dear” she said.

Corvus caught her wrist in his hand to bring her finger to his mouth with his eyes meeting his intensely. Proxima’s breathing hitched and her throat constricted as he sucked and licked away the thick red substance

“Should you…ever carry out with it – gauging out the Maws eyes I mean” she paused, her scarred lip twitching into a smile

“You must invite me to watch” she requested.

Corvus licked the remaining blood from his lips

“You have my word” he replied

“I’ll need you to explain it as an accident should Thanos find out” he added in jest, making Proxima laugh, that rare, honest laughter only Corvus would be granted the privilege to hear.

As she put the meat in to heat up she was forced to turn back to her husband, she tried to ignore the hand that played along the length of her spine, kicking the door closed she spun to place a hand on his shoulder

“I don’t remember part of our vows being ‘provide an alibi should my partner murder another member of the Order”” she purred.

Corvus feigned a look of confusion

“Odd, it was in mine”

Proxima chuckled as did he; by the Severed Gods, he loved seeing her like this – so relaxed, so light-hearted.

They sat at the small table, already set for two, and ate in relative, contented silence. Afterwards, Proxima and Corvus retreated to the bed after finishing their meal; eyes drowsy, bellies full.

Proxima gave a satisfied sigh, she lay on her stomach with her arms crossed under her head, facing her husband who lay on his side next to her. Missions and training had been almost constant as of late, and while blood and battle were enjoyable in their own right, that didn’t mean the couple didn’t enjoy rare moments such as this, whenever they were granted.

It was rare for Corvus to actually sleep. Although they retired to bed together most nights, Corvus would remain awake and alert long after Proxima had let sleep claim her, his regenerative abilities meant that the most sleep Corvus needed of a night was around two or three hours, but when he wasn’t sleeping, Corvus at least made sure that he rested, lying in the quiet of their rooms, occasionally glancing at his wife to watch as she slept.

Now though, it seemed the tables had turned, and Proxima found herself watching Corvus’ chest rise and fall, listening to his breath, even and shallow as he fell into a light sleep. Proxima didn’t dare move, when he did sleep it was never deep, and the slightest movement would have him awake and alert, and she presumed that he needed the rest if he was falling asleep so quickly.

So Proxima remained still, taking in her partner’s profile.

He had professed, many time, to not knowing what he’d ever done to deserve her as his wife, but Proxima wondered if Corvus knew just how mutual the feeling really was. It had been his intelligence that had intrigued her at first; it still did, to this day. She loved to watch him work: pore over scrolls and holo-screens, planning for the ‘cleansing’ of whatever planet Thanos had decided on.

Corvus would create several plans, narrowing down faults and flaws, researching the races that inhabited their targeted planet, learning and relearning everything he could about their enemies weapons, armies, even the layout of their lands and preferred fields of battle, plans were scrapped, re-drawn and rewritten a dozen times until all that remained was a perfect strategy. And then it was up to Proxima, and the rest of the Order.

Thanos may command The Black Order, direct them as he saw fit, but Corvus Glaive was the one to wield them, with the same precision and ruthlessness as he wielded his namesake weapon; he knew the strengths and weakness of each member of the Order and crafted them into the perfect tool to bring victory to their master, and balance to yet another race of people.

While Proxima may have seriously considered gutting anyone else for such a metaphor, she accepted that it was, for now, the most accurate description of the Black Order, as Children of the Great Titan, they followed their master without question, and acted at his command as Thanos strove to bring balance to the universe, planet by planet, until he acquired the Infinity Stones which would give him the power to do so in one single action, a single snap of his fingers, or so the rumours said – as far as Proxima knew, no being alive or dead had ever wielded all Six infinity stones so there was no telling what the repercussions of such an act might be. She often doubted that Thanos would live to see his goal achieved – in all the years she’d been aboard the Sanctuary 2, Proxima had never seen Thanos even come close to obtaining even one of the Stones.

But until then, the Black Order would descend on whichever planet Thanos would choose. So much for being equal and unbiased, Proxima found herself thinking; Thanos claimed his ‘cleanses’ to be unprejudiced, balanced, yet he was the one who determined which planets they set course for, Thanos decided what exactly qualified these planets to be in need of ‘saving’. Proxima shook her head slightly, unwilling to let her mind wander so dangerously, she knew her doubts and scepticisms would not be taken well, especially if anyone other than Corvus ever caught wind of them being in her mind in the first place.

She may not have been as intelligent or as knowledgeable of the Universe and its’ ways as her ‘Siblings’ but she was smart enough to keep such opinions to herself, holding them close to her heart as she did her emotions, letting no one close enough acquire such intimate knowledge; save for Corvus. On the Sanctuay 2, it could be dangerous to speak ones’ mind too carelessly, yet she always felt safe to do so around Corvus, and time and time again he proved himself worthy of her trust. 

Thus Proximas’ thoughts returned to were they had started as she continued to watch her husband rest beside her, lying on his side with a hand on the small of her back – an unconscious act that she too exhibited when she slept, be it a hand on his chest, his claws tracing the curve of her hip, or their legs tangled together beneath the bed-covers, some part of them seemed to always be meeting as they slept, each drawing a subconscious reassurance from having their partners touch.

For all of Corvus’ strategic brilliance, he was also a marvel to watch on the battlefield as well in Proximas’ eyes; while far from the hulking mass of power and muscle as his brother by blood, Cull Obsidian, Corvus was toned; wiry and quick with lethal claws and jaws filled with needle sharp teeth used only when nothing else was to hand, or when he’d been deprived of a good cut of raw meat for too long.

Yet that same strength used in such violence and ferocity, all became restrained when used in moments of intimacy between husband and wife, with her, he was only ever attentive, even bordering on gentle unless she demanded otherwise.

Proxima could think of no other being in the universe she would rather share such a connection with.

It hadn’t been born right away of course, stories of love at first sight and such nonsense were the thing of fables that used to entertain Proximas’ two youngest biological siblings and even her twin brother when they were growing up on her home of Rheanys Five, but such stories had never held Proximas’ attention even as a child.

 Proxima herself had been a couple of month shy of nineteen cycles old when Thanos had found her, and thanks to the certain biological…needs…of females of her species, she was no stranger to physical pleasure. She could no longer remember quite how it started, who sought out  whom out that first time, but for almost two years she and Corvus simply used each other for pleasure and physical release in a mutual, unspoken agreement.

She hadn’t expected things to change, to evolve as they did, and she’d never expected to trust anyone enough to let them in as she had let Corvus, her ability to trust had been shattered long before Thanos had found her, but now, having known him for almost twenty years in total, and being married for seven of those years, Proxima trusted him above anyone else in the universe.

At that moment Corvus moved, it was subtle but enough to catch Proximas’ sharp eyes, and waited as Corvus’ eyes opened to meet hers as he woke. He studied her for a long moment before his hand came to her face, a single claw followed the line tattooed between her lower lip and her chin


“What is it, my love? What are you thinking?” he asked quietly

She blinked, once and very slowly before answering

“Nothing of importance, my darling husband” she reassured with sigh of contentment

Thanos could burn the entire Universe and beyond to ashes or less if he so desired, but in that moment, all Proxima could ever think of needing was this, a few stolen moments of peace amid a lifetime of violence.

Chapter 31: BICKERING

Summary:

Proxima and Corvus are forced to stay behind while the rest of the Order take some respite, despite them both being tired and irritated themselves. THis leads to one thing; arguing.

Chapter Text

Corvus Glaive was exhausted, mentally and, to his mild surprise, physically. With the Sanctuary docked to be re-fuelled and under-going major repairs the Black Order had secretly hoped for a period of rest, to renew their motivation, but for two particular members it was not to be so; at least 150 Q-ships were in need of repairs and it had fallen on the Orders’ murderous married duo to make preparations for said repairs.

And so, while Outriders terrorized the space port, Maw spread the word of the great Titan’s mission like a preacher on sermon, and Cull…Cull was blowing off some steam with a splatter of mindless violence, picking fights wherever possible – even allowing young Nebula to tag along under the promise that she not get under his gargantuan feet while Thanos took Gamora along to a meeting with a black market fuel dealer; a lesson in negotiating apparently.

While Proxima Midnight and Corvus Glaive remained in the extensive hanger, the Chitauri had separated the non-operational Q-ships that morning which left the task of making endless notes and lists of spare parts, needed and reference numbers so that the crew Thanos had employed to repair the Sanctuary could also take on the repairs of the Q-ships alongside it.

Corvus had to admit, bickering with his wife was not high on his list of plans for their respite period.

“Ignition?”
“Please tell me you’re attempting to be funny?”
“Proxima!”
“Oh alright, Negative!”
“Thank you (!) Navigation?”
"Negative" “Weapons systems?”
“Hm, passable. Best write down the necessary ammunition and blaster fuel just in case”
“Already done”
"Wonderful (!)

Corvus was starting to grind his teeth at his wifes’ biting attitude. She was fed up and so was he at this point

Cabin lights?” he continued

He was standing at the door leading to the very lower level of the current Q-ship they were inspecting, Proxima was below him with the open control panel calling out which functions where operational and which where not – though there seemed to be more non-functional aspect of this ship than working ones.

“Negative” Proxima replied, doing nothing to hide the boredom in her voice

Corvus frowned

“None at all?” 

“Let me see…one two, oh nope none at all!” Proxima snapped loudly.

Corvus called back.

“Obsidian is not nearly as sarcastic as you are!” 

Proxima looked up from the control panel though Corvus remained out of sight

“Well too bad, it’s me you’re stuck with!” she argued,

Corvus glared down the door of hole

*Fine!” he spat

“Fine!” was Proxima’s equally venomous retort.

After a short, stony silence Corvus spoke up

“Temperature control?”

Having not heard properly, Proxima called out irritably

“What?” 

She couldn’t see him yet Proxima knew Corvus was rolling his eyes (she wasn't wrong) and couldn't restrain another vindictive retort

“Do that anymore times and your eyeballs will come loose and fall from their sockets”

Corvus groweld

“Good! I cannot perform a task such as this with no eyes! At least I could take a rest from this” he shot back,

“Now tell me if the fragging temperatures are operating!” he ordered

Proxima practically snarled back 

“Fragging Negative alright?!” 

There was a loud bang, and Corvus, quite rightly, assumed she had either kicked or punched something, so he scrawled down an order for a new wall panel for the hull.

After a few moments, feeling the irritated tension in the air, Corvus addressed her more calmly 

“you’ve gone quiet” he commented, being unable to physically see her it was difficult to read her mood now.

Proxima snapped in response 

“It’s called thinking, try it sometime!” she snapped,

Corvus felt the very last of his nerves being plucked

“Must you be so sarcastic every time you speak?” 

Proxima answered without looking up

“Apologies my love, it’s my natural defense against stupidity!” 

The words were out of her mouth before she realized, and a moment later something slammed on the floor above her and Proxima paused.

Corvus shouted down to her with more anger than before

“Finish these yourself if that’s your fragging attitude, woman!” he yelled before storming away, his cloak billowing at his ankles.

Proxima winced upon hearing the door to the ship slam shut.

After a moment she rested her back against the wall behind her with a deep exhale before pushing back her hair from her fave and forehead.

She was exhausted, her body physically ached, her head throbbed with a growing headache, and she couldn't remember when she'd last eaten,

Proxima felt a twist in her gut, familiar but not so all at once…guilt. With her back to the dented wall she had kicked earlier she sighed heavily. She realized perhaps she had taken things too far, it hadn’t been her husband’s fault they had been tasked with maintaining the fleet of damaged Q-ships, it had been an order from Thanos. They would however be allowed  a weeks respite of their own once the Sanctuary and Q-ships repairs where finished in the next few days.

She loved her husband, in a way she’d never imagined possible for any living being in this universe, quarreling with him, particulalry to this extent, where they were unable to even be near each other was uncommon, and it always left her feeling utterly wretched – especially when she knew she was in the wrong.

But she would apologies later, for now she would prove that she could finish the job alone, perhaps it would provide Corvus a chance to rest while she did so! Her hands curled into fists and her eyes became brighter as she frowned as her expresssion becan set with renewed determination.

*

Corvus waited for Proxima’s return but eventually retired to bed to at least rest for a while, even if sleep evaded him as it often did.

But as the hours had passed and he’d listened to the sounds that informed him that the rest of the Order had returned, then thirty minutes after that he heard Thanos and Gamora return and over the next hour or so he heard everyone retire to their own respective floors and chambers Corvus remained restless.

He’d assumed Proxima was, to put it simply, sulking, and would seek him out in her own time, but something in the back of his mind told him to go after her and eventually he couldn’t ignore the urge any longer; he needed her close by, even if she were still in a spiteful mood and slept on the floor at the foot of the bed to avoid him again, he would accept that so long as she was near then he could relax.

Clothed in only a pair of loose black trousers Corvus swung his legs over the side of the bed and pulled on the top half of his under suit and cloak for warmth since the hanger would be freezing at this time even for Corvus Glaive.

He didn't find her in the ship they had previously been inspecting, but after searching twenty or so other ships, he did finally locate her: lying on the deck of the ship on her stomach with her head turned to the side, sleeping deeply. The clipboard Corvus had thrown before, was lying close to her and Corvus quickly deduced she had simply dropped from exhaustion after carrying out the inspection of the twenty other ships Corvus had searched before finally finding her.

Corvus got to one knee beside her, moving her hair away from her face and gently shaking her shoulder

“Midnight?” he called softly, when she didn’t stir he decided not to attempt to arouse her again.

Instead he rolled her onto her back, draping his cloak over her before lifting her into his arms, carrying her bridal-style back to their rooms.

As he walked through the corridor that lead to their chamber he felt Proxima shift, her hand resting on his chest. Corvus sighed and shook his head as he looked down at her.

After placing Proxima on the bed, and undressing himself once more, Corvus crawled into bed beside his wife.

Still, mostly asleep, Proxima curled into his side, tucking herself under his arm

“Sorry” she slurred in her half-conscious state.

Corvus wrapped his lean arms around her without hesitation

“forget about it, just sleep.” He answered, no more words were spoken between them that night, but the next day Proxima swore to make up for their quarrel when their week of respite came – in many erotic and …creative ways. Corvus even scolded her for torturing him since the Sancuarys repairs would not be finished for another few days, but he could wait, he would be impatient about it, but he would wait. Quarreling with his wife was never pleasant…but making up for it afterwards was always very pleasurable.

Chapter 32: DROWN

Summary:

It was because of her this time, her faults and fears had caused him to die this time.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Proxima and Corvus trekked through the stone gorge, the path ahead thankfuly flat, and walls of stone and rock towered above them on either side.

However the couple had been walking the straight path of the dry canyon for hours now, no closer to finding what they’d been told to seek.

Proxima was tired, irritable and full of doubt in finding their prize; one of the six infinity stones sought by the Mad Titan Thanos.

Slightly breathless she stopped, using her spear as support “May we rest, my love?” she requested.

Corvus glanced back and retraced the handful of paces he’d taken ahead of her

Proxima sighed

“We have found nothing, not a shred of evidence since we landed!” she pointed out.

Corvus stopped beside her

“I know. But there isn’t much left of the area we’ve been ordered to search. We’ll return to the Sanctuary soon” he told her, silently grateful for rest himself.

Proxima scoffed

“Empty handed. Again” she spat.

In the past year the order had followed several leads in hopes of finding an infinity stone – still their master was no closer to having any of the artefacts he craved.

Corvus placed a hand on his wife’s shoulder, the one not covered by reinforced armour.

“Thanos always taught us patience did he not? Remember he simply ordered us to check the area as the planet was on our rout back to the Sanctuary. Should we find nothing there be slight reprimand, nothing more” He said confidently.

Proxima looked to Corvus, letting her lip twitch into a smile at his reassuring expression and nodded

“Hm, right” she stated simply, standing straight again. Over the next couple of hours they covered more ground and checked each and every available cavern and crevice they passed – made easy by the blue light of Proxima’s spear.
.

They reached the dead end of the canyon; large boulders fallen logs and other debris had created a wall between the sides of the canyon.

Proxima, seeing something Corvus hadn’t, darted forward, on her knees she cupped her hands to catch some of the water flowing from a small hole in the dam and bringing it to her mouth.

While she quenched her thirst, Corvus came to stand at her side, looking over the dam, assessing its height, age, and durability until he glanced down to Proxima

“Better?” he asked, his tone casual but with traces of unease.

Proxima, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand, nodded sincerely and got to her feet,.

She looked up to the top of the dam as her husband had

“Thoughts?” she asked.

Corvus followed her gaze

“It should hold us both, I shall go up half way; follow me when I say. If it’s unstable at least I shall heal almost instantly if anything gives way” he told her.

Proxima nodded and watched as Corvus holstered his glaive on his back and began climbing.

Proxima watched and memorised precisely where he placed his hands or feet – deeming it best to follow his exact path when it was her turn to make the climb.

Corvus meanwhile was only a few feet up when he stopped, listening intently.

His eyes suddenly widened and he quickly let go of the piece of rubble he’d been holding onto, letting his body roll back down to the ground to Proxima’s shock, but Corvus recovered instantly, getting to his feet he grabbed Proxima’s arm

“RUN!”

Seconds later ear-splitting cracks could be heard and large sections of the dam splintered and broke away, letting a large stream of water shoot through the broken dam.

The couple ran as fast as they could, the stream of water already on their heels!
.

Corvus pulled Proxima in front of him and urged her upwards onto a ledge that lead to a cave, he followed and with Proxima’s back against the wall Corvus shielded her body with his own as she flinched.

The ground seemed to shake with the force of the water that had broken free of the dam; for a long time there was only the crashing sound of the water and pieces of the broken dam hit the ground or walls around them while pieces of broken rock and stone hit Corvus' back hard as he kept his protective position over Proxima.

Finally things became quieter and Corvus let his body relax, with a hand still braced on the wall by Proxima’s head, he met her gaze

“-Alright? Are you alright?” he asked, but before Proxima could answer water began to fill the cavern, the couple was ankle deep in freezing water within seconds! Proxima took a few paces back in silent panic.

Corvus took her arm and tried to move towards the entrance but before they could take another step the debris that had been damming up the water started to fall across their only way of getting out!

Corvus growled in frustration as water continued to fill the now enclosed cavern from a tiny space left between the ground and the fallen debris, he tried to push against one of the broken logs blocking the way, nothing; It didn’t move even an inch, most likely a could have fallen in front of it for all they knew!

But when he looked back to Proxima he saw her fear.

She wasn’t even trying to hide it; The widening of her eyes as she glanced around, desperate for an escape, the quickned rise and fall of her chest and how her hands rapidly balled into fists numerous times– she was terrified!

Corvus moved to stand inornt of her

“Midnight, you have to calm down” he instructed, cupping her cheek, making her look into his eyes.

The water had reached her waist by this point and she swallowed thickly as Corvus felt around, seemingly searching for something on his person, at last he found it. A tube made of clear, strong plastic

“I have my breathing device – take it” he told her quickly, they didn’t have much time.

Proxima looked to him in alarm

“No, what about you?” she said without thinking, Corvus shook his head

“I’ll be fine, remember?” he said with a forced smile, but it did nothing to calm his wife who replied

“Corvus, I c-I can’t you know that I-!” she said loudly, her panic clear in her frantic tone.
.

Corvus grasped her by the tops of his arms

“You won’t need to! Look,” he focused his gaze to the ceiling above them

“When we get to the top, push off with both hands – it’ll stop your body being crushed under the ceiling and the water pressure.” Corvus started

Proxima looked to him, about to protest but he continued

“You’ll have the breathing device, I shall try to use what time I have to create an opening for you, the water will drain away and you can get yourself out, you won’t need to swim!” he explained.

“I know how you feel about this. I do. But you have to trust me on this Proxima” he loosened his grip.

Proxima was about to nod but lurched back when she saw the water was already up to her chest, how had it filled up so quickly?

‘I can’t…I shall drown!" She insisted, her panicked thoughts starting to take over

I’m meant to die in glory, on the battle field not fighting for breath in an enclosed cave because I can’t swim’ she thought to herself frantically!

In shock and fear she gasped out loud but Corvus reached for her, “Easy, Proxima You’ll be fine” he vowed.

She swallowed, trembling but Corvus saw the look of acceptance in her eyes.

Corvus secured the breathing equipment over Proxima’s mouth and pressed a small button and section by section the tube extended to cover her nose as well.

Proxima stared deeply into her husband’s eyes, no longer able to voice any concerns or protests, Corvus put his hands to her waist, the water steadily reaching up to their necks “Hold on to me until we reach the top” he instructed, Proxima put her arms around his neck tightly.

Corvus held her close he took a deep inhale and the water engulfed them entirely for a second until Corvus kept them elevated.

The water lifted them higher until they reached the top where Proxima unwound herself from Corvus and the pair each used both their hands to push their bodies down under the water and away from the ceiling of the cavern.

Now submerged completely, Corvus swam to the closed off entrance and began to run his hands over the pieces of log and rock blocking their escape

He clawed at pieces of rubble, pulled at broken wood and debris in the hope that it would come away. Corvus could slowly feel the air in his lungs begin to run out – he could hold his breath for longer than most beings but as he spent more time trying to break through the rubble he could knew he wouldn’t last much longer – but what about Proxima?

f he failed to create an opening for her she would still be trapped, luckily the breathing device he had kept with him would provide her with enough air to keep her going for four or five hours, she would need to get out sooner or later!

At that moment Proxima clumsily managed to manoeuvre her body to his side and assist him in trying to find a way out. Proxima finally felt some of the rocks move under her hand!

In triumph she looked to Corvus, only to see him writhing, clutching at his throat as his body naturally fought to find a source of air. It was a disturbing sight – even for a hardened warrior like Proxima Midnight.

With concern and fear in her eyes tried again to shift the rubble, trying not to glance back to Corvus, who was quite literally drowning to death beside her.

She moved awkwardly until she reached him, winding her body around his even as he struggled, not against her but the cold arms of death that proceeded to take him from her. But upon sensing Proxima’s touch he relaxed, holding onto her tightly as she did him and slowly – too slowly, he let the water fill his lungs and body.

She would be there upon his return, she would wait for him.

Proxima felt his hold on her slacken and she knew he was gone.

Taking her husband’s face in both hands she kissed his forehead with closed eyes and, without looking at him, she moved back to continue her attempts to shift the rubble at the entrance; she beat her fists against it until Her limbs ached, almost as much as her heart did in that moment. After ten minutes she stopped, her chest rising and falling quickly with her panic.

Proxima stopped, with both hands on the wall blocking her way she leant her head between her hands; she had to find a way out it was looking hopeless, gingerly looked across to her husband taking in his lifeless form for the first time since she realized he’d left her – his body limp, floating before her; and his eyes had closed but his mouth open in a desperate bid to bring air into his lungs.

Proxima’s scream of despair was muffled by the breathing device keeping her alive, short bursts of air bubbles escape the device and with a crestfallen expression Proxima looked away, shutting her eyes as her stomach churned.

After half an hour of pushing, clawing and kicking out at the rubble and debris blocking her way Proxima felt the rocks and stone start to come loose, she kicked out with her foot; finally making a hole big enough to let at least some of the water begin to drain from the cavern!
.

With the Water level decreasing Proxima steeled her resolve, curling her hand into a fist she put her hand through the hole she’d made previously which was now syphoning out the water she began pushing and kicking once again, eventually causing more rocks and debris to fall away until the entrance was clear and Proxima let the water drag her out of the cavern.

Within seconds Proxima felt her body hit solid ground, in just a few inches of water, lying on her side she tore away the breathing device, choking on the breathable yet stale air it had been supplying.

Taking in gulps of fresh air she pushed herself to her hands and knees, looking around for a moment until she spotted Corvus’ body not far away, crawling over to him she shook his motionless body

“Corvus? We’re out, get up! GET UP!” she demanded, feeling tears sting her eyes.

She was too late; she’d hoped he was simply unconscious but she’d taken too long, he was gone completely from this world. Furious with herself, Proxima slammed a fist to the ground, creating a splash of water as she did so.

Covering her eyes with her other hand covering her eyes she released a strangled sob – if only he hadn’t had to give her his breathing device.

If only been able to shift the rubble faster, If she’d been able to swim properly…

With a faltering breath Proxima calmed herself; her husband was not gone forever, he would come back. Secretly Proxima hoped that he would not blame her as she blamed herself– because this time his death had been because of her, her weakness… because of her faults…that he had died this time.

Notes:

It doesn't need to be said but obviously Corvus wouldn't blame Proxima, I was going to add a paragraph saying this in the main chapter but decided it best to leave it as it was.

I originally wanted to choose a less 'obvious' title chapter but it jiust didn't turn out that way this time

Chapter 33: INJURY

Summary:

Corvus tends to his lover who has been wounded in battle.

Chapter Text

“Agh!”

Proxima winced as pain shot through her body, she sat on the edge of the rickety bed near the back of the Q-ship with one, injured, arm bent and elevated up to her chest with her other arm draped around Corvus’ shoulders her body leaning against Corvus for support as she was dizzy from pain, exhaustion  and blood loss.

Corvus wrapped bandages around her bare torso and chest tightly binding the several broken ribs Proxima had sustained.

HE paused upon hearing Proximas' suppressed cry of pain

“Just…stay still and it won’t hurt as much” he told her firmly

“Keep your arm elevated, it will slow the bleeding. Once your ribs are bandaged I’ll clean the wound and stitch it” he added, continuing with his previous task.

Proxima watched, tense and in great pain which she tried not to show in her facial features, there was another subject that needed to be addressed

“It was the only way to secure our victory, you know that” she told her long term lover, knowing exactly why Corvus was acting so distant with her, speaking with uncharacteristic firmness towards her

“If I hadn’t taken the three generals…” she started

Corvus interrupted

“We had a plan, Proxima. You slaughtering those Generals single handedly was not part of that plan; it was idiotic and reckless to do so and could have cost us more than just our victory” he snapped, securing the bandages and getting to his feet.

Proxima rolled her eyes

“They refused to hand over the full tribute Thanos demanded of them, they needed to be made an example of!” she argued, Corvus returned to her, now holding a box of medical and surgical supplies.

Corvus knew she was right, that she was not referred to as Thanos fiercest warrior for no reason.

But the only thing he could focus on was the sight of Proxima, the woman he had come to love so much, the only woman he held close to his heart, killing two of the defiant generals but taken by surprise by the third.

Corvus fought back the rest of the enemy forces, with the assistance of the Outriders at their command.

But by the time he had returned his attention to Proxima, she was being drop-kicked to the ground and repeatedly beaten across the ribs, her arm had been slashed with a crudely made blade when the female tried to defend herself and fight back.

Corvus had decapitated the final general and hauled an almost unconscious Proxima to her feet while collecting her spear from the ground.

He had taken her back to the Q-ship and created a temporary tourniquet for the wound on her arm. He had  left her, passed out on the bed and returned to the battlefield.

Upon his return his lover had woken and that was when he started to work on tending her injuries.

Despite his frustration with Proxima’s seemingly reckless actions, Corvus remained gentle with her, apologizing whenever she tensed or made any sound of discomfort.

Corvus cleaned the wound on her arm after ensuring it had stopped bleeding, and began to stitch the torn skin back together; it would be two days until they returned to the Sanctuary 2 so Corvus’ quick work would prevent any further damage or infection until he was able to get Proxima to the Sanctuary’s medical unit.

Proxima, now exhausted, refrained from further arguing her point, instead she lent her aching body against Corvus, her grip on his shoulder tightened for a moment before her hand rubbed over his grey-ish skin, signifying her defeat from the argument – however brief.

As he finished the stitching, Corvus lifted his gaze to meet her eyes, as she was sitting on the bed and leaning against him, she sat slightly higher than him, Corvus sighed

“If there are two things you must never, ever doubt, my Lady Midnight; my faith and belief in you and your abilities, and my feeling for you.” He told her.

Proxima nodded in understanding but Corvus continued

“I love you, and if there is anything left for me to fear in this life, it is the idea of losing you” he confessed.

 Corvus knew she loved him, as deeply and completely as he did her – but even after over a year of being partners in a strictly physical sense, which had slowly grown into much more, Proxima had still not said the words.

She was grateful that Corvus understood this and never pressured her into saying it. She was unused to being open in any sense of the word, Corvus trusted that she would say the words when and if she was ready, but until then she had other, physical ways of showing her feelings towards him.

 

As she pulled away from the short kiss Corvus brought a hand to her jaw, his thumb brushing across her the black marking at her cheek bone.

He could see her eyes become hazy, her eyelids heavier, he pushed gently so that she would lay back

“Rest”

His hand slowly left her jaw, running over the side of her neck to her shoulder, comforted by the touch Proxima could no longer fight the urge, the need to sleep. She would recover faster with some rest.

Letting his hand linger on his injured lovers shoulder Corvus watched sleep claim her before he moved away, the Outriders where still loose on the battle field, devouring bloodied corpses and half dead soldiers, snapping at each other over mutilated carcasses but with the task completed Corvus was eager to recall the Outriders and return to the Sanctuary and get Proxima Midnight to the Medical Unit as soon as possible.

Chapter 34: PHANTOM PAIN

Summary:

Corvus tries to calm his wife, its been a year since she'd obtained her life long injuries but she still has to deal with the pain.

Chapter Text

She woke with a start, bare chest heaving as she concentrated on calming her breathing.

Gritting her teeth to stop herself from making any sound she turned her head to one side, her body was tense from the pain radiating from her left arm, her right hand gripped the sheets tightly, the pain was getting worse, a sharp moan escaped her before she could stop it

Corvus stirred

“Proxima?” he muttered

She cursed the fact that he was such a light sleeper- a general always on alert, but then she cursed herself for allowing herself to be so weak. Proxima grunted in pain as Corvus moved, it had caused the bed coverings to brush her burning arm.

Corvus placed a hand over the domed lightbulb set into the wall about arms-length above the bed, filling the room with dim light,

“My dear, what is it?” he questioned.

But as he leant up on his side to look at her she simply shook her head defiantly, her body tense, back arched as she fought the pain.

Realizing at once what the problem was he moved to reach over her, his hand found her cheek and moved her head to face him, with practiced ease he avoided breaking her toughened skin with his claws

“Midnight, my dear, it isn’t real” he reminded her, shifting closer to her but not so close that he would aggravate her old wound even more.

Proxima grit her teeth

“I know” she shot back in frustration, her eyes still closed and her face was turned into his palm.

It had been over a year since that disastrous, when Proxima had become trapped beneath a burning pillar; her arm and right leg damaged had healed but would always remain scared, with some muscle damage that occasionally caused her pain, but what was worse was this, this phantom pain that made the fierce female warrior cry out in pain.

The pain so raw it made her almost believe she was back under that pillar with the smell of her own burning flesh and the thick smoke filling her senses, the pain in her arm and leg eventually ripping her into unconsciousness.

While she still refused to look at him, Corvus didn’t move his hand from her cheek, the pad of his thumb brushed her cheek-bone, she was sweating, irritable and her body shifted every so often, as though physically trying to move away from the pain radiating from her limbs.

There was nothing that could be done for her except wait until the pain subsided.

“I hate this. Benefits of cybernetics be damned!” she cursed, baring her teeth.

Corvus felt twinges of guilt in his chest

“Proxima my love, I would end worlds, bring the entire galaxy to its knees if that was what you would ask of me, if there was something that would cease your pain…” Corvus rumbled, feeling powerless to help.

Proxima gave a breathy chuckle despite her sever discomfort

“you exaggerate, my love. The pain will be gone by morning.” She said stiffly, only for the pain to flair even more, as though her body where protesting her point on purpose!

Arching her back, she threw herself onto her side, the one that didn’t feel like it was on fire, smothering a short scream in the pillow her head rested on.

Corvus placed a hand on her ribcage, ignoring the way she flinched, instinctively thinking he would un-intentionally touch the healed burns on her arm but he knew better.

Trailing his hand down to her waist instead, he hoped the more pleasant sensation would distract her, his body temperature always remained at a higher temperature than Proximas', but he could see that her skin had become hot and clammy.

Silently her hand found his, grabbing it in a crushing grip as she breathed heavily

“Corvus…” she panted, eyes crushed shut tightly.

Corvus squeezed her hand in return

“I’m here, I’m here” he comforted.

He would stay awake with her all night if need be, then in the morning when, if, the pain had subsided, they would act like nothing had happened, and when the pain returned, be it within days, months, even if it didn’t re-appear until years from now, he would be there still right beside her.

Chapter 35: ONE LAST HIT*

Summary:

Proxima struggles to kick her dangerous habit, but Corvus is there to make it just a little easier.

Chapter Text

‘Cold. So cold…’

This thought alone was all Proxima Midnight could focus on. Her body was shaking with the force of the shivers wracking her body.

‘Just once more” she muttered to herself

"That would make it better. Just one last time” 

she just needed something, anything to stop the ice creeping through her veins like death itself, the nausea churning in her gut, and lethargy forcing its way into her mind. 

She’d spent hours pacing the bedroom agitatedly, her craving, her need for a fix and the way her mind called for her not to fall asleep fuelling her until she’d given in, collected the small box containing the full syringe she’d hidden under the chest of drawers, before collapsing at the foot of the bed.

Part of her still fought it though. With needle clutched in her shaking hand Proxima whimpered through gritted teeth as she argued silently with herself;

So far she’d coped well enough with the effects of giving up her addiction, the vomiting had stopped, she’d allowed herself to sleep and eat just a little, all under Corvus Glaive’s watchful gaze. He was part of the reason she was doing this.

She reminded herself of this as the needle hovered barely a centimeter from the pulsing vein in her arm, he loved her too much to allow her to destroy herself with stimulant drugs, she loved him too much to cause him the pain and disappointment he showed when he realized she was using – somehow he could always tell, no matter how well she tried to hide it.

But , as the tip of the needle ghosted over her clammy skin, Proxima wondered if even her love for Corvus was it was worth it.

In her sleep deprived, stimulant withdrawn mind, she had no idea how much she would resent herself for this singular thought later on.

It started so gradualy: just a little every so often just to get her through the particularly crucial more physically straining missions, then it progressed to her using occasionally when she trained – with the stimulant injected into her body she could train for longer without needing rest, complete tasks given to her by Thanos with more speed and efficiency.

Now, six months in, she could hardly go a day without needing a fix to keep her alert and active, sleep, in her mind, was now considered wasted time.

Why sleep when she could use the time to train, getting stronger and faster, more agile! What use would she be to the Order if she wasn’t all of these things? If she didn’t improve herself Thanos would have no need of her! He would kill her, or worse

’No!” Proxima shouted, without thinking, despite being alone in the room.

She clamped her teeth together, hard

“Can’t go back, I won’t…not there” she stated, more quietly.

Due to her current state she had not heard the steel doors open.

Corvus yelled in shock

“Proxima!”

Her head shot up and her eyes met his for a split second before Proxima rolled to her knees, but Corvus was faster.

As she tried to crawl to the bathroom with the needle, he was able to catch her ankle and tug her back, so that she was locked with her spine against his chest, kicking out in desperation, she clawed at his arm in hope of getting free

“Let me go!” 

Proxima pushed against him with everything she had but in her weakened, near frantic state he easily over powered her

Corvus growled as she fought him, using one arm to lock her arms against her sides, with his free hand Corvus forced the needle from her grasp.

making a pained sound as her wrist was sprained in his grip.

“No! Don’t!”

She all but begged, but in her weakened state, she stood no chance and, lifting his hand before her eyes, Corvus crushed the glass syringe in his hand; purposefully making sure that she witnessed it, shards of glass becoming lodged in his flesh while the thick turquoise liquid clung to his skin, all while restraining Proxima with his other arm.

Practically distraught, Proxima howled,

"What have you done?!"

 Her shaking body falling limp against Corvus’ chest.

Adjusting their position, Corvus sat, and held Proxima in his lap, she had arched forward holding her head in her hands, nails digging into her hairline until it was on the brink of bleeding. Corvus remained silent, simply holding his lover in his arms until she calmed herself.

When she did, Proxima still shook with need, hyperventilating in distress but she no longer fought against Corvus grasp and was rewarded with his hold loosening, becoming more of an embrace than one of restraint

“One day. You ask for one day without me watching over you” he stated, making his disappointment indisputable,

“I agreed because you insisted that you were better. Perhaps not completely, which is understandable, but you were better. I believed you”

Proxima bit her bottom lip, flexing her fingers in agitation

“I’m sorry” she whispered

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry I’m sorr-” she repeated.

Her blazing orange eyes stayed fixed on the wall opposite as she began to rock back and forth – as much as she could with Corvus’ arms encasing her frame.

To her surprise he held her tighter

“No, no my love that was unfair of me. I should’ve realized you were not ready. I should not have left.” Corvus replied, pressing his lips to the base of her horn, repeating the action until Proxima had once again let herself relax into his arms.

His thumb rubbing soothingly across her arm

“It will take time” he started

“You will get there, I promise you that my Midnight. You have the strength to over-come this and more.” He assured firmly,

“Even though you may not believe it yourself, I always will. Through this and whatever other troubles lay ahead – I shall believe in you, and your strength Proxima.” He murmured to the shell of her ear.

The couple didn’t move from their space on the floor all night, finally, just as the familiar sounds that signified the rest of the Order waking from their rests periods, and guards, navigators and technicians changing shifts Proxima fell into a deep, well needed sleep.

Corvus stood with her in his arms, laying her on the bed and curling his lean body around hers protectively. There would be more, similar struggles to come, there would be arguments and there would be close calls, but after that night as though something that desperately needed to be broken, had finally done so, things became easier and a further four months later with Corvus still at her side.

 

Over the next few months, Proxima regained control of herself and her addiction. She no longer needed the stimulants to make her feel productive or motivated, because Corvus – through words, actions or simple gestures, made her feel all of that and more, and she was beginning to feel, and accept that he intended to do so for as long as she would let him, for as long as she needed him.

Chapter 36: DEMISE

Summary:

"Lead and I shall follow, my general."
"I vow to never lead where you are unwilling to follow, my love."

When they exchanged their marriage vows Corvus assumed they where mutual. Why, why would she go where he, an immortal, could not follow?

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

: Corvus woke more sluggishly than usual, but when he did he felt remarkably well rested.

He glanced down to see Proxima’s hand grasping his arm – it was normal for the couple to wake with some part of them touching and Corvus smiled, she was such a heavy sleeper, as he found out as soon as they first started spending full nights together, in place of simply a few hours. And now; years later, she was his wife.

Corvus watched her for few moments, eyes taking in every familiar detail of her face, after a few moments he tried to move his arm

“Midnight?” he called, when she didn’t stir he wasn’t surprised and called to her again – still nothing.

Corvus moved to touch her cheek with his free hand, only to wretch it away from her in a manner he never had before; yes her skin was colder than his but this wasn’t right.

Corvus sat up full, shaking Proxima’s shoulder which was covered by the bed sheets, she didn’t move and Corvus forced himself to stay calm, there would be a reasonable explanation and when he woke she would mock him for his concern over her. Shaking her more forcefully Corvus spoke

“Midnight? Wake up!” he demanded,

trying to swallow the burning lump the size of a stone that had formed in the back of his throat, she couldn’t be, could she? “Proxima…” Corvus whispered her name in defeat; she was…gone.

Proxima had always insisted her death would be glorious; spear in hand, bringing victory to their master, and Corvus had scolded her for talking of her own death in such an off-hand manner – he himself was conditionally immortal, he had ‘died’ countless times and so speaking if his own end took as much effort as it did to draw his next breath.

Proxima however had no weapon that could restore her when death came, and so when Corvus had snapped at her during this discussion of death it had been because he could not envision a life where she no longer existed.

However this did not mean Corvus did not considered it; when he watched her Q-ship exit the hanger of the Sanctuary as she set out to aid another planets cleansing, or when she was finally tucked safely at his side upon returning, often with a fresh scar or injury he could not help but worry for her safety.

 

In the present Corvus breathed more shakily than he cared to acknowledge, cupping his wife’s stone cold cheek, leaning his forehead to hers. How?

How could she simply just leave him like this? Without warning, without…her hand on his arm! Corvus realized, had she tried to rouse him from sleep to alert him to some sudden sickness or other, had she know it was going to happen and attempted to wake him?! His body shook with the force of the dry sounds escaping his throat, he turned away, with his back turned could have been sobbing or dry heaving.

He'd vowed never to go where she would not follow, it was his vow to her when they married, and now she was gone, gone from his reach... ‘no’ he reminded himself, she was not gone where he could not follow.

Composing himself he stood, his entire body now numb, and moved across the room to collect his glaive. He had planned long ago what his next course of action would be upon his wife’s death; his place in the order, not Thanos or the Cause, or even Cull Obsidian; his younger brother whom he had raised from infancy was enough to keep him living a life without Proxima Midnight.

Corvus cast a long, almost broken, look at his now deceased wife, taking his glaive he went back to sit on the edge of the bed, the side closest to her.

He stared at the opposite wall with a blank expression “I know you would not do the same.” He spoke out loud

“I know you would carry on, because you are a survivor. Perhaps that makes you stronger than I, I don’t know. All I do know is that I cannot live a life where you are not by my side, and if there is an afterlife, in the true death, then I hope you are waiting for me.” he state.

Swinging the glaive in his hand he ran himself through with the blade, coughing splatters of oil-like blood through his clenched teeth before tearing the glaive from his chest and letting it fall to the bed beside him.

Rivulets of blood dripping down the corners of his mouth he used his last ounce of strength he arched and shifted his body nearer to hers, his last thought was the dim of their truly being an afterlife, so that he might see her, be with her again;

Always.

Corvus lurched from his sleep, drenched in cold sweat with his hands shaking he looked to his right, to the figure sleeping beside him with their back to him.

He held his breath until he saw her shoulders move slightly, rising and falling with even breaths.

Feeling himself slump in relief, Corvus curled himself around her protectively.

Proxima moaned tiredly,

“My love, what is it?” she asked tiredly. His only response was to hold her tighter, his ragged breath at her nape making the hairs stand on end she felt the bite of his claws almost piercing her skin

“Corvus?” she tried again, with mild, well concealed concern He said nothing for a moment but eventually replied sharply

"A night Terror. Nothing more” he insisted.

His tone not to be argued with.

Proxima knew she could do nothing but push her leg between his, entwining their limbs firmly and put her hands over his to let him press and knead at her flesh – his only reassurance that she was still there, living and breathing beside him.

She lay back down, facing away from him “I’m here, I’m here Corvus, My husband, my love.”

She would repeat these words and more, all night if she had to if that was what it took to sooth him

“I’ll not leave you. Not Yet”

she didn’t need to add the last part, but she did, without cruelty or malice, it was just the truth of it; this was all she could promise him for now; that she was still there, living and breathing, at that moment.

And as she felt his grip gradually begin to slacken, she knew that, for now, that was enough - it had to be.

Notes:

- The first two lines in the summery are my invented wedding vows between Proxima and Corvus. Though I haven't and don't yet plan on writing a wedding related fic.

- Big shout to Dragonisprime for letting me share in the head-cannon regarding what Corvus would do in the event of Proxima Midnight's death!

Chapter 37: INDULGANCE*

Summary:

Corvus and Proxima enjoy a rare day with no tasks or commitments, even members of the Black Order indulge in a lazy day occasionally.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Times of quiet, of contentment were rare on the Warship known as the Sanctuary 2.

But they did happen.

Proxima Midnight sighed deeply, covered only from the waist down by a thin bedsheet, she lay on her front with her head cushioned by her crossed arms, every muscle in her body felt almost liquefied, there was no trace of tension or harshness in her form as she lay there.

Corvus Glaive, as bare as she, sat with his back against the harsh metal headboard, his hand kneading at Proximas' back, every so often he would alternate this with running the back of his knuckle over her skin, further pressing out any ach or tension in her body.

what could be seen of her mouth behind the material of the pillow curled into a smile as she opened her eyes to gaze at her lover questioningly

“My love, am I some domesticated creature that needs to be stroked and petted so diligently?” she questioned,

Even at her words he didn’t stop, he wouldn't unless she asked him to

“Admit it my love, you enjoy it” 

Proxima merely sighed in defeat – her way of admitting that yes, she did enjoy this.

A stretch of silence followed the exchange.

Ebony Maw and Cull Obsidian had been sent out on a supply run and Thanos had taken Gamora and Nebula with him to the Sanctuary 1, leaving Proxima Midnight and Corvus Glaive to take over the running of the Sanctuary 2.

With no tasks currently needing their attention the couple had taken the opportunity to relax, just for a while.

With her eyes now closed once more, Proxima didn’t see the way Corvus watched over her.

It was his turn to break the silence this time, rolling to lean more on his side, closer to her

“Midnight” he rumbled lowly,

she acknowledged that he’d spoken with a simple, lazy

“Hm?” without moving or looking at him.

hHe tucked a strand of hair behind her ear

“Will you marry me?” 

Proxima’s smile widened

'always spoken with such conviction' she thought to herself

“You asked me the same thing not two weeks ago, you already have my answer” she reminded him in amusement.

Corvus however was unfazed

“I know, I simply will never tire of hearing you say it” ,

His hand trailing down the length of her back causing deep shudders to erupt though her body.

Proxima chuckled and opened her burnt orange eyes to meet his, leaning on her elbow placing her other  hand on his shoulder before  sliding it to the back of his neck as she moved to straddle him, leaning close to his ear

“Yes” she replied quietly

“I will say it as many times as you need to hear it, my answer will always be…yes” .

Corvus' hands venture down her sides to grasp her waist, with one hand gripping the headboard she leant over him to press her lips to his.

He responded immediately and fiercely; his tongue slipping past her lips to entwine with hers, one hand left her waist to tuck itself in the bend behind her knee, the material of the bed sheet the only thing separating their bodies.

After a few moments Proxima pulled away, gasping when Corvus sat up and leant forward until Proxima was lying on her back with Corvus hovering above her

“Thanos has given his permission, the only thing left is decided where and when.” He grinned, pushing his face against the crook of her neck.

Proxima’s arms wrapped around his neck, holding him to her with an indulgent sound.

Corvus then added

“Are there any traditions of your people you wish to honor?” he asked seriously.

Proxima thought for a moment.

Her fingers tracing his greyish skin with uncharacteristic gentility

“No.”

she answered easily

“I never understood the traditions of my people therefore I feel no need to honour any of them now, after so many years. Although..."

Corvus' expression became more serious but he waited out her hesitation.

Proxima looked away, trying to hide her expression, something akin to embarrassment rose in her chest

"Rhynearian silk would be nice." She mused, voice varley above a whisper.

Corvus wanted to probe further but she, effectively, ward off any line of questioning by turning her face to his, smiling once more

“What about you?” she countered.

Corvus lifted himself enough to meet her eyes

“What use would I have for sacrifices to forsaken gods and blessing of happiness, when I already have you?” 

Yet again, he spoke with such conviction, with such adoration in his features that Proxima froze, her lower jaw becoming slack and For a moment she could only lay there, processing her lover’s words before Corvus. Surprised that he had rendered Proxima Midnight speechless, he chuckled and ran his fingers through her cobalt hair.

His mouth on her neck quickly distracted her and she almost purred at the feeling, tilting her head to offer him better access. She jumped when his teeth nipped at her flesh but the sounds she made coaxed him to repeat the action, his hands wandering her body, the bedsheet still between them causing a frustrating friction against their bare skin.

Corvus held Proxima almost furiously close

“Mine. Whether we’re married or not, you’re mine” he insisted, feeling Proxima shudder beneath him.

Her arms encircling his shoulders as she returned his fierce embrace

“Of course, my love”

With her index and middle finger trailing down either side of his pronounced spine, Corvus growled and shift against her

“So long as you accept that you are mine just as much as I am yours” she added.

Corvus chuckled breathlessly,

“I would have it no other way my beautiful lady Midnight” he retorted.

Proxima grinned.

The couple spent the entirety of the day in their chambers, making love or just lying together in a tangle of sheets and bare limbs; Proxima would remember the day as one of her most dearly held memories for the rest of her life.

Notes:

An attempt at fluff. I have nothing else to say

Chapter 38: COUNTDOWN (soul mate au)

Summary:

Corvus briefly ponders on a lie he has told his beloved lady Midnight. But ultimately he knows he can't tell her the truth.

Notes:

something I've never tried before! Maybe it sucks I don't know, just a quick Soul-Mate-Brand A.U

I was watching YouTube vids about Fanfic tropes and it gave me the inspiration for this small slice of angst!

Chapter Text

Corvus and Proxima lay beside each other in the darkness of their shared chambers. Proxima shivered as her partner traced the numbers imprinted on the inside of her wrist, to him they appeared as nothing but a smudge of black, like ink blurred before it had the chance to dry, to her they showed the number of years she and Corvus would share before his demise.

Lying on her back, Proxima glanced in his direction

“Do you know how unsettling it is having the mark re-set itself every time you die in battle? I never know if the next time will be the last” she told him seriously,

“Sometimes, when you’re gone I dare not even look at it in case all I see are zeros” she added quietly, looking down at their joined hands which rested on Corvus’ chest

“I know. I apologies my love, it isn’t fair that you should have to live with that uncertainty” Corvus stated, looking across to her and using his opposite hand to tilt her head so that she faced him once more

“But I hope that you trust that each time I am taken from you that I will return if I am able…I would never leave you unless I had no other choice” he said, holding her jaw tenderly,.

Proxima nodded, her smile not reaching her eyes

, “I know. What is life without a certain level of uncertainty?” she teased, leaning into his palm more than willingly.

Corvus forced a chuckle from his throat, watching Proxima turn so that her back faced him, his hand still entwined with hers as she tucked herself further beneath the bed covers.

 

Hours later, he lay on his side with Proxima’s spine pressed to his chest, the feel of her cool body against his usually brought him comfort of sorts, the weight of her pressed safely to his lithe frame a reassurance he once had no idea he needed and one he longed never to have to live without.

Proxima, tired but still awake, shifted in her place

“Thank you for telling me” she said, as though she’d just remembered what had brought up the subject of their marks in the first place

“twenty years, a hundred…it would still never be enough” she whispered.

Her words for Corvus’ ears only even though they were the only two in the room, her hand tightened around his for a moment

“But ninety is good enough for me” she finished, letting her eyes fall closed.

Corvus raked his clawed hand through her navy hair, pulling it back from her face so that he could watch as she slept, her grip on his hand slowly falling limp as sleep slowly claimed her. He felt sick to his stomach – the Maw would confirm this as guilt the following day when Corvus felt able to ask – but for now the glaive wielder growled to himself softly, hoping not to wake his lady Midnight, he turned away to glare at the ceiling, his sharp eyes making out the small details in the steel even through the blackness engulfing them.

He hadn’t…meant to lie, not really.

She’d expressed an interest in hearing the numbers that were branded on his wrist, he had told her to think on it for a few days at least – to be sure she truly wanted to know. It wasn’t unheard of for partners to share the information with each other, it wasn’t viewed as unusual or perverse in any way to want to know how long you would have with your partner. Other partners however, typicaly had more years together, Corvus had thought to himself when Proxima had asked.

Now, three days later, he had told her, and it had been a lie.

Corvus had simply wanted to...protect her? To leave her in blissful ignorance?

Corvus realized he didn’t even know why he’d lied, she would find out sooner or later anyway! As he raised his free hand to examine the numbers concealed in his wrist he knew that he still couldn’t tell her the truth; he would let her believe they had ninety years together.

Corvus shoved his arm under the covers, unable to bare seeing that small, mocking 2 and 0 branded in his skin, he would make sure she was contented and pleased enough with their lives together, that she wouldn’t see the difference between ninety…or twenty.

Chapter 39: IMPRISONED

Summary:

Proxima has been captured and imprisoned and her captures take great pleasure in having a member of the infamous Black Order to torture and taunt.

With no way of getting herself out, will Proxima be left to face this ordeal for the rest of her days?

Chapter Text

Was she hungry? Yes. Tired? Undoubtedly. In pain? Very much so. Thirsty? almost unbearably, but more than that she was furious, she needed to get out and show those who had imprisoned her what it felt like to suffer the rage of Proxima Midnight.

She had no idea how long she’d been here, what did it matter? The fact that she’d been caught at all was infuriating; that she could do nothing about it was worse; she’d tried and suffered because of it…she had tried twice more and suffered three times as much.

Proxima shifted in her place, sat on the filthy floor with her knees drawn up to her chest fro warmth, her clothing was torn down the back, lash marks creating a gruesome pattern across her back, some had started to scab over while others were still bleeding.

The second General of Thanos and the fiercest warrior in the Black Order was at the bottom of a deep, stone pit, chained by her wrists to the grimy, blood-stained wall. She had been stripped of her armour and her weaponry confiscated on arrival - a standard measure when being captured.

Footsteps sounded from above; she knew whom they belonged to – her captors changed shifts at random intervals every day trying to avoid any discernible patterns but Proxima saw them nonetheless and this particular guard she could hear approaching revelled having one of the Black Order at his mercy.

Proxima tensed as she heard the bolts in the door above her slide across, she heard the large male enter the room as she straightened her back and hardened her gaze.

The male, pink skinned like a Terran but covered in scales with yellowing talons as fingernails, leant over the edge of the pit, which stood at the height of at least five full grown men, the borderline overweight male sneered down at Proxima, lifting his hand to show her the tall mug in his hand.

“You must be thirsty.” He jeered,

Proxima remained silent; she knew he could see how dehydrated she even in the dim light, no matter how hard she tried to hide it.

Her captor, the same one, she noticed, who had broken her rib some time ago, it had healed but not well and it still caused her great pain, the male leant down to pick up the bucket at his feet, the handle was tied with a piece of thick, fraying string

“Do you even remember how long you’ve been here?” he asked

Proxima’s violent, amber eyes glared straight back without blinking, basic survival; don’t let them see how weak you actually are

“I don’t care; because I’ll be free soon enough, and I’ll make sure your corpse is the last one they find – if I decide to leave anything worth finding” she snarled.

The large male laughed, hard and humourless

“you know, I could kill you right now. No one would give a damn if the first daughter of Thanos was found in pieces in her cell one day.” He said calmly through jagged teeth.

The covered mug was placed carelessly into the bucket and lowering it down into the pit.

Proxima glared for a moment before pushing herself to her feet and lunging for the bucket at it was slowly lowered down, he was teasing her with it, knowing how desperate she probably was. Proxima was halted by the chains around her wrists, causing her to jerk to a stop.

The scaled man above her laughed once more

“No, I think not.” He decided, referring to his earlier statement about killing her

“Not…today at least. But one day, when you least expect it, it’ll be me on duty and…”

He leant against the edge of the pit on his elbows, he’d stopped the bucket inches out of Proxima’s reach, and started to retract it, bring it back up to his level as he continued to taunt her

“I’ll just kill you, without warning, just as you and the rest of your dysfunctional little family slaughtered so many others” the guard threatened.

He began walking around the circular pit as Proxima looked up, never daring to take her eyes from her enemy.

He stopped when he was above her, his eyes narrowed and he tipped the mug over her, her restraints preventing her from dodging in time.

Her Head, shoulders and chest now soaked, Proxima rested her head against the stone wall, face dripping with water, looking right at her captor she began to laugh, seeing the guard’s smile falter then drop, his expression turned fearful.

Rolling her head until she faced the floor Proxima continued to laugh, an unnerving, almost hysterical sound.

The guard edged around the pit and slammed out of the cell, the bolts slid across the door and Proxima’s laughter morphed into a scream, her legs gave way.

Curling her fists into the floor until her fingernails bled, Proxima glared at the opposite wall through tangled, dirty hair, body twitching, heaving as she caught her breath.

After a moment her body fell limp, she hesitated before crawling forward, fighting against the chains holding her wrists to the wall.

A sound, like a sob, escaped her, her shoulders heaving with the force of it, she used her bloodied hands to claw her hair out of the way, burning with self-loathing and shame, taking desperate sips at the water that had landed on the ground, it tasted only of dirt and grime and trickled down her chin, rage and humiliation coursed through her very being.

Proxima was so physically weakened and exhausted that she lay on the floor of the pit, eyes staring out lifelessly from their sockets.

So lost in her thoughts of revenge and escape, she almost didn’t hear the sounds of slaughter outside the door, only when a familiar roaring sound caught her attention did she even move

“Cull” she realized,

It took great effort but she forced herself to sit up just as the door above her was broken through and the sounds of fighting in the doorway, another familiar snarl, this time not from Cull Obsidian, then she heard someone running past!

Proxima craned her neck upwards, trying to see the person she knew was there, she knew by the snarl that had ttorn from his throat during the brief scuffle at the door

“Corvus?” she felt in danger of crying with relief

“Corvus! Corvus I’m down here!” she shouted, her voice already hoarse from days of periods of complete silence and screaming threats and insults at her captors

"I'm here." She repeated, tearful almost broken. She had a vague idea of what she must look like: filthy, defeated... Weak.

At first she feared he hadn't heard but Corvus' head and shoulders came into view as he looked over the edge of the pit

“Oh” 

Her appearance caught him off guard; she was on her feet but clearly struggling to stay standing, the chain restraining her was cutting in her wrists, she was thin and shaking violently.

She sounded completely unlike herself as she called out to him

“Get me out! Please just get me out”

In the dull light of the cold room Corvus’ eyes radiated anger, anger at those who had reduced his fierce, independent wife to this

“Proxima listen to me! One of those bastards ran through here trying to get out, I’m going to finish him off and come back for you” he told her.

Proxima however was not going to accept this

“NO! You get me out of this hell hole first! Corvus no, don’t leave!”

As her husband disappeared from view Proxima fought against the chain binding her, turning and clawing at the stone wall behind her which was already stained with her blood from days, weeks of trying to climb out of the pit and escape.

Realistically she knew Corvus wouldn’t leave her like this for long but she was starving, dehydrated, and deep down, she was terrified.

“Don’t leave me” she choked brokenly, twisting her wrists and wringing her hands

"Get me OUT!".

Corvus followed where the last of Proxima’s captors had run, as the large scaled creature tried to turn a corner, he was grabbed by Corvus who held him by the throat with one clawed hand, the thickly built male didn’t try to fight or get away, instead he whimpered and shook in pure terror at the red-eyed, fanged visage of an enraged Corvus Glaive.

Proxima was still shouting to be let out when Ebony Maw, levitating so that his robes didn’t touch the filthy ground, floated through the broken door and to edge of the pit where Proxima was being held.

She became silent at once, if the Maw had any opinion of the state she was in or her hysterical demeanour, he didn’t verbalize it – for once.

Instead, with the wave of his hand he ripped the chain from the wall and levitated Proxima out of the cell, her knees gave way as soon as she hit the floor and Corvus entered the room almost in the same second,

“Maw”

He shoved the scaled figure he had dragged with him in Ebony Maws direction

The telepath backed away, with a lazy flick of his wrist he used his abilities to restrain the third male, preventing him from running, Maw then proceeded to question him on whether he was aware of the penalties of capturing and torturing one of Thanos’ most valuable Generals.

Paying the Maws speech no mind, Corvus darted forward, resting on one knee in-front of his wife.

She was still trembling uncontrollably and blinking rapidly, while Ebony Maw droned on in the background Corvus pushed Proximas' grimy hair from her face, realizing it was soaking wet, as was she, he then used his glaive to cut away the chains binding her wrists.

Cull appeared in the doorway, tossing something through the air, Corvus caught it and pressed Proxima’s spear into her hand; it took a moment for her to regain her baring’s enough but at her silent command the spear hummed, glowing blue at her touch.

With Corvus help Proxima got to her feet, leaning on him for physical support she turned to the large, scaly skinned male – the same one that had poured water over her just a short time ago along with various verbal threats he intended to make reality when she least expected it, from killing her, torturing her…and worse.

Proxima looked into the males terrified eyes and stepped forward, without her husband’s aid.

Corvus had seen her kill many times, in many creative ways, but never anything like that; he’d had to pull her away from the screaming, skinless, writhing creature – after what Proxima had done he resembled little else after all.

The Q ship was stationed in a large wasteland a few miles from their location, with the Maw and Cull taking the lead, Corvus remained behind with Proxima, who was wrapped in his cloak for warmth but she had started to walk slower and was still shaking when Corvus offered a sympathetic glance

“In a couple of days we’ll reach the Sanctuary” he reassured.

She simply nodded but stopped suddenly, Corvus noticed immediately and came to stand in-front of her, he glanced back to where Ebony Maw and Cull Obsidian had stopped to wait for them, but at Corvus inclination they continued without looking back again.

Corvus looked back to his wife

“Proxima…” he started,

The look on her face was enough to stop him, instead he put his hands to her shoulders comfortingly, this seemed to cause something to snap because Proxima began to sob uncontrollably.

Shocked, Corvus took his hand away, letting her lean into him as he did so, his arms wrapped around her and she was enveloped in his familiar, comforting warmth. In one swift movement she was in his arms being carried towards the ship, he offered soft spoken words and sounds of comfort.

They reached the ship and Corvus carried Proxima up the ramp, she had composed herself so that Obsidian and Maw would not notice her moment of weakness.

As they entered the ship the pair passed Maw and Obsidian in the pilot and a pilot seat respectively.

Proxima nodded to her husband, who set her down immediately, she gripped his wrist tightly but discreetly, leading him to the cot near the back of the ship, there Corvus sat with his back to the wall and Proxima in his lap, huddled against his chest. When shed eventually fallen asleep the Maw approached Corvus

“I told our master from the star that your…relationship would make the pair of you the Orders weak point” he started

Hs lipless mouth curling in one corner and  Corvus growled

“this is not the time, Maw!” he snapped, rubbing Proxima’s back when she flinched in her sleep.

The Maw watched emotionlessly

“If I may continue without you biting my head from my shoulders, or disturbing her” he gestured to Proxima,

“I tell the master truths. Only truths, despite what you may believe. However this-”

once again he gestured, lazy and vague

“Need never reach our masters ear. She will need medical attention when we reach home of course but the extent of the state we found her in, what happened on the way back” he added, meaning her brief breakdown in the wastelands.

“Need only be between the four of us. You may assure Proxima Midnight of that as well when she wakes” he added.

He and Corvus shared an understanding nod before the Maw slink away back to his seat.

Corvus accepted the Maws offer, that didn’t mean he trusted it. But so long as Proxima was safe, back in his arms and, for the most part, unharmed, that was enough.

Chapter 40: VEXING

Summary:

Corvus loves Proxima, but she her argumentative nature is just...so very trying at time.

Chapter Text

Corvus sat slightly hunched over, one elbow propped on his knee, studying the challenge in front of him. A holographic, four tier chess game was set out between Thanos’ first General and the Ebony Maw who sat back, waiting for Corvus to make his move.

“If you do not move you shall have to forfeit if you wish to leave for your mission in time” Ebony taunted lazily,

when he was ignored he spoke again

“Have you mentioned to your beloved that certain detail Lord Thanos’ mentioned during the briefing?” the Maw added casually.

A smirk graced the telepath’s almost non-existent lips, catching the way Corvus tensed and the muscle in his temple tightened,

“Of course” Corvus replied snippily.

Cull Obsidian, who had been watching from the side, creased his forehead movement , had he possessed eyebrows, they would have been raised in doubt.

Corvus glanced between his sceptical brother and team mate

“I did” he replied firmly

“I left a detailed explanation in writing and left the required items in our chambers.” Corvus admitted.

Cull Obsidian rumbled in amusement and Ebony Maw tried not to smirk as he made his next move carefully,

“How long ago?” the Maw questioned,

“About five minutes” Corvus grumbled

Ebony Maw nodded once, “Three…Two…” he started as Corvus reached for his chess piece (the king) but froze at the last minute when his wife’s voice could be heard from the corridor.

“CORVUS!”

Proxima Midnight stalked into the room, ignoring Obsidian and Ebony Maw she moved straight for Corvus with a glair that would’ve made weaker men run for their lives.

“Tell me you are not serious!” she demanded.

Corvus moved his game piece out of reach of Ebony’s pawn, outwardly he remained calm and collected, but after centuries of indifference Corvus felt a fleeting sense of relief that he was conditionally immortal, as long as she didn’t stab him with his glaive or decide to break it, he would be fine.

“Orders my dear, the Zenzeok, are more...traditional should I say. Females of their species are not seen as warriors or fighters…”

But as Corvus tried to explain, Proxima grew further agitated when Corvus didn’t look at her when she was trying to argue this point,

“And this applies to us, how?” she demanded slowly,

She crossed her arms over her chest, her body currently covered by a black all in one suit, made of soft material rather than battle worthy leather.

Corvus thought quickly, he had no wish to anger her further,

“Thanos needs this weapons deal to go as smoothly as possible, a female of any species turning up to a diplomatic negotiation not willing to comply to their customs would be considered insulting and inconsiderate.” Corvus answered reasonably.

Corvus glaired at Ebony Maw as his last pawn was taken by Maw’s knight. But Proxima was not finished

“I fail to see why the master does not simply have us take a few outriders and obliterate them from existence if they do not give up what Thanos wants.” Proxima said with irritation

Corvus sighed, taking his eyes from the chess board to look at his wife,

“The deal was very specific; a tribute of weaponry once every quarter in return for Thano’s protection.”

another of Corvus’ game pieces was lost, leaving the competitors only had one or two pieces left each.

Proxima growled, retreating from the room angrily.

Ebony Maw smirked

“Checkmate I believe”, he said, taking Corvus’ black king with his white queen.

The irony not lost on Corvus who’s’ lip twitched into a silent snarl before he stood to leave, Cull Obsidian growling something as Corvus passed him

“Be quiet!” Corvus shouted before following Proxima to their quarters.

When he arrived Proxima was throwing the offending items into her bag; her previously packed armour now discarded on the bed

“This is not a choice Proxima so enough of your teenaged moods!” Corvus snapped impatiently

“It took long, and tedious negotiations to make this meeting even come to fruition; Thanos and the ruler of this planet are both as stubborn as each other, you’re refusal to accommodate your attire to that which complies with the Zenzeok customs is not going to cost us this deal” Corvus insisted peevishly

Proxima paused to glare, narrow eyed at her spouse, before resuming her task, the last few moments they needed to finish packing was spent in bad-tempered silence.

Once they’d boarded their Q ship, set the co-ordinates and auto pilot the pair split to change into their new attire. Thanos’ ship, the Sanctuary 2 would remain stationary just outside the planets orbit until Corvus made contact later that night.

Corvus finished changing, in her irritation Proxima had taken her clothes and left to change in private, ten minutes ago and Corvus grew impatient again

“Proxima Midnihht come out now before I open that door and drag you out myself” Corvus called out, now dressed in pure white fabric trousers and robes, a matching cloak with a shimmering gold clasp draped around his slender form.

The door which led to a large storage space opened and the sound of heels hitting the steel floor made Corvus look up…and stare.

Proxima Midnight had changed into a long, figure hugging dress that brushed the floor with slits up both sides of the skirt, offering fleeting glimpses of her legs and lower thighs as she walked while the tight sleeves reached her wrists with a loop of material around her middle fingers kept the sleeves in place, her dress and shoes matched his own startling white attire.

Corvus’ eyes widened and his jaw slackened, unseen by Proxima, as she was too focused of adjusting her clothing notice his reaction, when he said nothing she looked up, seeing the expression on his face she frowned slightly

“If this was just a ploy to get me to dress like this I will murder you.” She threatened, no trace of a lie in expression

Corvus swallowed, “I assure you dear Proxima, it was not. But the result is rather pleasing either way.” Corvus replied, baring his teeth almost hungrily.

She looked so different, so alluring he almost didn’t hear her reply

“Hm, it is” she admitted, not hiding the fact that she was eyeing up her husband, even more openly than he was eyeing her at this point.

Their eyes met and Corvus sighed

“Have I told you recently just how trying you can be?” he asked, stepping towards Proxima who smiled challengingly

“I don’t believe so, remind me?” she suggested invitingly, leaning her body closer to his so that they were almost touching.

Corvus was severely tempted but denied her

“Later. We’re almost there” he vowed despite his own desires.

“Remember, Zenzeok are…traditionalists, and easily offended, and if this arms deal is unsuccessful…” Corvus cut himself off.

But Proxima understood

“Then we shall ensure that it is successful, Together” She promised.

It wasn’t like Corvus to drill into her the importance of success on their missions

‘He must be truly stressed about this deal’ she thought to herself, deciding to make up for her behaviour and offering to call a truce,

“You know a lot about this planet, you’ve been there before?” Proxima asked as they took their seats and prepared to land, Corvus nodded,

“The ruler, Fyran, is an acquaintance.” he explained, raising one eyebrow Proxima glanced at him

“One you trust?” she pressed, her husband looked at her, shrugging, “I haven’t made up my mind” he said lightly.

Chapter 41: SOLACE

Summary:

When Thanos questions the loyalty of any Black Order Member he calls on the powers of a certain servant to mentally wheedle out any evidence of betrayal

Chapter Text

“What have you done?!”

never in all her years aboard the Sanctuary had Proxima Midnight questioned Lord Thanos, let alone raised her voice as she did now, practically screaming in her shock and distress.

At the Mad Titans feet lay the motionless body of Corvus Glaive, his namesake weapon protruding from his gut and thin streaks of black blood trickled down the corners of his mouth.

The glaive itself had also been snapped in two

Thanos turned his back on Proxima and the rest of the Order just as Proxima darted forward to kneel at her husband’s side

“why?” she demanded, her hands rested close to the wound in Corvus’ stomach.

Thanos frowned but remained still

“He had failed me once too often.” He stated

“I have been lenient perhaps too much, partly out of respect for the relationship between the two of you. Let this be a lesson to those of you that remain”

Thanos turned to face his Black Order, Ebony Maw looked down on Proxima, or rather the body she shielded with her own, the Maws features where emotionless but there was a slight curl in the corner of his mouth where he fought down a smirk of glee.

Beside the telekinetic Cull Obsidian shook with otherwise concealed rage at the death of his brother.

Proxima, with tears filling her eyes, turned away sharply, closing Corvus’ blank, unseeing eyes and wiping away the lines of blood from his mouth with the cuff of her sleeve.

Thanos dismissed the Maw and Obsidian who bowed before leaving.

Proxima, still gazing down at her husband, forced herself to her feet, though rather unsteadily, and didn’t acknowledge Thanos as he approached but flinched slightly when a large hand came to rest on the crown of her head, even the Mad Titan had enough respect to be mindful of her horns

“It is not wrong to grieve for what we have lost Proxima Midnight. Take tonight, and tomorrow if you must, to mourn. But after that I expect my fiercest warrior to be at their best” Thanos warned.

With no choice Proxima simply nodded. With that Thanos left her alone on the floor of the throne room to mourn the loss of her beloved.

Gazing down at her husband Proxima grasped the handle of the glaive still lodged in the body, pulling with all her strength she removed the weapon, sending a spurt of blood an inch or so into the air.

Proxima held the broken piece of the multi-bladed staff flat in both hands, the realization hit hard, that Corvus, her husband, partner and lover, would not be returning, not this time…he would never return to her side.

Hefting the glaive above her head she slammed it into the ground causing it to stab through the thick layer of stone, leaning almost her entire weight on the glaive.

She didn’t just grieve, she didn’t just cry, she screamed. Howled in, what sounded like physical pain.

It was hours later that she emerged, emotionless, robotic in her movements with both parts of Corvus’ staff in her hand, which, much like her other hand, was hardly more than a broken, bloody mess from where she had slammed her fists into the floor.

When a servant offered to take the glaive, reaching to take it from her, Proxima shoved a fist through the servants torso and tore him apart from the inside out.

 

*

The screams of Proxima Midnight echoed throughout the room, she was on her knees before Thanos who sat, entirely at ease in his throne

“Enough” he commanded.

The Other, Thanos servant, who stood with his hands clamped either side of Proxima’s head, looked up for a moment before releasing her.

As soon as she was free Proxima lurched forward, she landing on her hands and knees,rasping and panting as through she'd just been hauled from the depths of freezing water as the holographic image that had been playing out was erased and the wires became disconnected from Proxima’s head.

She shuddered violently, gasping behind the curtain her hair had created around her face. Thanos sat forward in his throne to address The Other

“Well?”

Hos servant turned to respond

“Her…affections for Corvus Glaive run deep, my lord” the creature began.

Proxima froze, surely there had nothing? No evidence that she would ever…

The Other continued

“But there is nothing that might suggest Proxima Midnight may betray you or the cause. Even events such as the ones I projected into her mind are not enough to sway her loyalty, not enough for her to attempt anything…foolish” The

Other snarled through his teeth.

Thanos nodded

"Proxima, I assume you understand why I must do this”

This was not a question but a statement by the large Titan.

Proxima did not react beyond a choked reply of

“Yes Father”

The Other stepped around Proxima’s hunched form, robes rustling slightly at his ankles

“There can be no doubts when it comes down to the loyalties of the Black Order” he hissed at her.

Proxima’s sneer in his direction was mostly concealed by her hair.

For as long as she could remember she had detested him, Thanos’ servant; the creature known only as The Other… repulsed her.

He made her very skin crawl with his deformed mouth crammed with yellowing, jagged teeth permanently coated with blood – most likely due to the gold coloured contraption creating a kind of muzzle around his grotesque mouth, the hood of his robes concealed his eyes, making it impossible to gage his expressions and emotions correctly.

When he had been holding onto her the images he’d projected into her mind made her struggle to get free but he had not budged, his bare chest, bulging out from leather robes and surrounding gold armour had pressed into her back while he’d snarled impatiently at her ear. His claws dangerously close to cutting into the base of her horn - this alone was enoug to make her shudder in disgust.

All the while he’d been reaching inside her mind, clawing and digging for any evidence of impending betrayal. Proxima got to her feet, despite the fact that she was still shaking, she looked up to where Thanos sat with determination.

Thanos dismissed her and, keeping her head held high Proxima’s gaze landed on Corvus who stood at the foot of Thanos’ throne, looking like he might launch himself at The Other at any moment.

After meeting Corvus’ eyes with her own Proxima heard Thanos dismiss her and she left the room without another sound.

Corvus turned to Thanos moments after Proxima had exited

“My lord, if I might…” but Thanos interrupted “Yes, yes, go Corvus. We are finished here” he said simply.

Corvus hardly remembered to bow before leaving Thanos’ sight in search of Proxima. He found her, in one of the narrow, darkened corridors of the ship wedged between a storage crate and a heated pipe with her arms wrapped around herself, she looked disturbed…haunted almost.

Corvus’ gut clenched at the sight and he watched her with concern

“Midnight?”

he spoke carefully and approached slowly, once they were close enough for Corvus to reach out and draw her to him, she remained ridged for a moment but quickly relaxed when embraced by Corvus’ familiar warmth, his strong arms encircling her firmly.

Proxima shuddered violently

“He was in my head” she said,

“If you thought the Maw was bad…I could feel it. Pushing, pulling at everything inside my mind…” she stammered slightly.

She brought her hands to Corvus’ shoulders and digging her fingers into his shoulder blades hard enough that he could feel the skin bruise but he ignored it easily.

Instead he nudged his face against her neck as he attempted to comfort Proxima

“It’s over now, my love. I very much doubt Thanos will have that happen again” he told her.

It was not absolute assurance that the incident would not ever happen again but it was the best he could offer.

Proxima drew away, raking her hands back through her hair, clearly still distressed, Corvus grasped the tops of her arms as she took an uneven breath

“Every part of it felt so real…you…you were”

She cursed herself for being so openly affected by what she’d seen, but it wasn’t the first time Corvus had seen her crumble, and he knew just what to do, what to say to bring her back

“Sh, you don’t have to say it.” He reassured.

He already had an idea of what The Other had forced her to witness and pulled her against him once more, kissing her cheek he felt her smile slightly and finally relax into him as she returned his embrace.

Chapter 42: DIAGNOSIS

Summary:

When Corvus sees Proxima in the ships medical unit he has no idea what to think or expect, is he prepared for her explanation?

Notes:

I really hope the emotion of this chapter came through as I wanted.

Hopefully my readers don't hate me too much for this one lol

Chapter Text

Proxima fell into a crouch on the floor of the training room, blocking a strike from Cull Obsidian with her spear, the weapon creaked briefly in protest but Cull lifted a foot and kicked Proxima in the chest hard, the blow sending her rolling. Cull was about to launch himself at her to continue their sparring match, only for the female to lift a hand, rasping for air .

“Yield” she choked, clutching her chest.
.

Cull frowned with a confused rumble leaving his throat it wasn’t like her to give in so easily, at that moment Proxima lurched forward, catching herself so that she rested on her hands and knees coughing violently, and suddenly she collapsed onto her side, un-moving with thick blue blood staining the floor and her mouth.

Hours later Cull happened across his Brother in the corridor. The glaive wielder called to his sibling .

“Have you come across Proxima? I thought you were partnered for sparring earlier, yet I’ve not seen her since this morning” he inquired,
.

Cull looked surprised, as surprised as he could with his thick, stone like skin and raised facial features
.

“You didn’t hear? She was admitted to the medical wing hours ago! She passed out during the match so it was called off - Brother I thought you knew!” The larger brother called out the end of his sentence as Corvus stalked passed him, clearing the length of the corridor in just several brisk strides, rounding the corner and disappearing from Culls sight.

The medical unit took up almost an entire floor of the Sanctuary, with several small rooms made from floor to ceiling glass for patients.

Corvus spotted Proxima easily, however he paused upon seeing Thanos, of all people and one of the medics standing before her, with Thanos looking far less stern than Corvus had ever seen him, apart from when he had taken in Gamora) Corvus was further surprised when the Titan placed a hand on Proxima’s shoulder in a seemingly comforting gesture!
.

A moment later Thanos exited the room, Corvus bowed swiftly as his master passed by, receiving only a short nod in response; Corvus was now thoroughly confused by Thanos’ behaviour.

Corvus watched with suspicion as the medic followed Thanos; the two paused at the entrance, out of Corvus hearing, and began conversing.
.

Corvus hesitated, sparing the medic and Thanos a finally glance he was about to enter Proxima’s room when she stalked past him, pushing him out of her way with a force that knocked him back against the wall!

Corvus was surprised and confused, he frowned at her but Proxima was at the doors and gone from his sight before he could even finish calling her name.

Something was very wrong and Corvus was going to find out what.

It took half an hour to search the observation dome, the slaughter deck and their chambers but finally Corvus found her, in the training rooms.

Corvus couldn’t guess what she had been doing but as he entered she stood with her feet apart, her back facing him and her spear clasped too tightly in her hand.
.

She was tense, bristling with anger and Corvus approached slowly, as he grew closer he could see her shoulders rising and falling rapidly, he stood beside her, leaning forward slightly attempting to catch sight if her face

“My love, what is it?” he questioned.

 

He saw the panicked, disturbed look in her eyes only for an instant because she turned her head in the other direction.

Corvus reached for her hand

“Proxima, you’re worrying me, what is it?” he demanded, voice firm but filled with apprehension.

.

She fought him but eventually Corvus turned her to face him, a hand to her cheek ensured she remained there, her eyes overflowing with tears while her face remained ridged and angry.

Corvus stood close to her, not bothering to conceal his concern for his wife

“What is it?” he asked, in a tone more gentle this time.

There was no way Proxima would be behaving this way over something trivial – whatever it was.

“Im dying”

Proxima’s words echoed yet failed to sink in. Dying…Proxima was…no…Corvus’ felt like the floor had fallen away from beneath his feet.

Proxima suddenly lurched away, turning with a shriek of fury she hurled her spear at the wall where it became embedded in the thick iron with a mighty ‘crash’.

She stood, clenching shaking fists at her sides she recalled the words of the medic just an hour or so ago.

Meanwhile Corvus seemed to have become almost catatonic, merely standing stiff and unblinking, as his mind slowly comprehended her statement – this was real, she was…

Proxima crossed an arm over her chest to hold her other arm, which was covering her usual gold armour before collapsing s her knees with a strangled cry. Shaken from his brief catatonic state, Corvus blinked and darted forward, kneeling behind his wife who had leant forward with her forehead almost touching the floor.

Corvus wrapped his arms around her, sitting her up against his chest; she clung to his clothed arm with her head bowed.

Neither kept track of how long they sat there, wrapped in each-others tight embrace.

When the finally moved to their quarters Proxima finally felt able to explain; a blood clot had been knocked loose and would slowly make its way to her heart valve, essentially blocking the blood flow.

The medic had given her a year, at most. In his shock, Corvus shut his eyes leaning back heavily against the iron headboard, inhaling and exhaling shakily and dragging a hand over his face.

Proxima stood by her empty side of the bed, gnawing on a bleeding hangnail spoke again.

.

“The master knows. He has forbidden my inclusion on any missions away from the Sanctuary” she spat resentfully

.

“May as well have my heart stop here and now” she spat without thinking.

Not half a second later Corvus had leapt across the bed, kneeling on the mattress he grabbed the tops of her arms roughly, more roughly than he ever had in the past
.

“Don’t. EVER. Say. That. AGAIN”
.

He fought the urge to shake her with every word. How dare she make such mockery of the situation!
.

upon seeing the shock, slightly pained look in her eyes, he loosened his grip immediately and spoke more softly

.

“Proxima…” he choked, unable to keep the sheer amount of emotion in his voice.

.

Proxima’s face crumbled, more tears trickled over her cheeks and she took her husband into her arms murmuring her apologies over and over as he leant against her with his head in the curve of her throat and his hands gripping her sides while Proxima’s hands rested hard on his shoulder blades.

Both bodies shook with sobs they didn’t even bother to supress, in the privacy of their chambers there was no one to overhear.
No-one to see them break apart in each others arms.

Two weeks past and the rest of the Order had been informed of Proxima’s…condition.

She was thankful that they treated her no differently.

She had avoided telling Corvus of the kick Culll had landed to her chest, which was most likely the cause of the blood clot coming free.

Gamora and Nebula had expressed their sympathies, however forced or robotic their words seemed (Proxima was under no illusion that their actions were due to anything but Thanos’ urging, they were meant to be a ‘family’ after all)
.

But as Proxima watched from the glass wall of the observation dome as a single Q-ship drifted away from the Sanctuary, she couldn’t help the stab of envy and resentment

Nebula, Maw and Gamora were destined on another Tribute collection; while she was forced to remain here, sick, pathetic… useless.

Corvus approached, the sound of his armoured boots hitting the steel floor gave away his approach, but even upon hearing her husbands’ footfalls Proxima did not turn.

.

Corvus knew of her restlessness, he himself had not been sent on as many mission as before, this mercy by Lord Thanos allowed Corvus to remain with his wife when she was left behind by their siblings.

He stood not far behind Proxima
.

“My love” he started,
.

Proxima looked over her shoulder, paler than normal, to meet her husband’s gaze, Corvus stepped closer
.

“I know you’re…restless, my lady Midnight. But its’ too risky-”

.

Proxima whirled around at his words,

.

“As you and the master never fail to remind me” she hissed
.

“I’ve never felt so…what is Thanos decides that I’m…defective, a liability? If I cannot prove I can still be useful…” she paused, casting her eyes downward in despair.

Corvus cupped her face in both hands, draw her close in the hipe of offering some reassurance or comfort .

“My love…I have spoken to the master and I’ve had an idea.” Corvus said calmly
.

“I once promised, that once the master had obtained the Infinity Stones, once his life’s mission had been completed I would show you as much of the Galaxy as possible, you’ve
seen so little of it after all.” He reminded her.

.

He deliberately shoved down the emotions that welled in his chest, as he so often since discovering Proxima’s diagnosis,

.

“Why don’t we do it now?” he added, taking her hands as her expression morphed into one of confusion and surprise
.

“What? But, Corvus what about-” Corvus cut her off

.

“Please, if we have only a short time left, my love…let us spend it doing what we vowed to do” he urged
.

“Thanos has agreed, we can leave at any time. Return at any time…or not if that’s what you would prefer.” Corvus explained.

He decided not to include the fact that during his discussion with Thanos the phrase ‘dead weight’ had been uttered by the Great Titan and Corvus had been forced to repress his fury the rest of the conversation.

Proxima meanwhile, sighed, thinking over the suggestion.

What else was she to do with her time? Remain here feeling nothing but the growing resentment towards her still physically able sibling while her strength, her very life drained with every passing day.

She smiled, for the first time in weeks and nodded once, strong and sure

“Lets’ do it.” she stated.

And so they did.

Corvus took Proxima to practically every corner of the Galaxy,showing her everything and anything that sparked her interest.

They ate strange meals, made-love in strange and exotic places…and everything in-between. They lived more freely and more completely than they’d ever thought possible.

Corvus returned two years later, alone and very much a different person than he had been upon their departure. Thanos, his daughters and the rest of the Order silently accepted that wherever Corvus Glaive been forced to leave Proxima, a peice of himself had been left with her, had died with her, and unlike his physical form, it would never be mended, never be resurrected. .

His wife’s’ spear stood in a corner of their once shared bed-chambers, unused but often glanced at, and each night Corvus would place his glaive beside the spear.

But he could never bring himself to touch it, even as dust settled between its curves and arches and between the grooves of the three dull points.

Points that would never again ignite with a harsh blue glow as it was wielded in its owners hand.

The spear of Proxima Midnight would never again see battle, instead it stood in that corner as though awaiting its owners return… a return that would never occur.

Chapter 43: FEVER*

Summary:

Not long after admitting their growing feelings for each other, Proxima gets sick

Notes:

Turned out longer than I think I meant it, especially for a one shot but hopefully its still enjoyable for you guys :)

Chapter Text

When Corvus entered the security code into the panel at Proxima’s door and entered her chambers he was surprised by what he found. She was sprawled out on the bed, clinging to the edge of the thin mattress, she was sweating yet shivering. .

With one clawed hand on her shoulder he shook her
.

“Proxima?” he called, it took a moment but her eyes finally fluttered open, she groaned and with some effort, lifted her head
.

“Corvus” her voice seemed slurred, slowly she sat up but instantly regretted it, Corvus’ hand darted to her shoulder to steady her when she swayed
.

“You’re not well.” he realized, only for her to bat his hand away impatiently
.

“I didn’t sleep well that’s all, now let me up so I get ready-” she insisted, sighing in irritation when Corvus stopped her.

.

Leaning down he tried to make his gaze meet hers but her eyes seemed hazy and unfocused
.

“I’m taking you to the medical bay.” Corvus told her firmly

Proxima refused once more, batting away his hand and tried to push past him

.

“I have duties; I’ll rest later and be fine by tomorrow” she stated, getting to her feet her movements slow but determined.
.

Unconvinced Corvus stood directly in front of her so that they stood practically chest to chest

“Proxima, you’re sick, feverish and need medical attention” he said.

He was suddenly reminded of being an adolescent trying to curb the rebellious streak of his younger but already-larger-than-him little brother.

Proxima scoffed meeting Corvus gaze defiantly .

“What will you do? Keep me hostage in my own chambers?” she challenged.
.

Raising an eyebrow Corvus put the tips of two fingers to Proxima’s forehead and with a pitiful amount of effort, pushed the female so that she landed on the bed flat on her back.
.

He didn’t wish for his action to cause her the pain it did but he was going to make his point.

Proxima groaned before cursing loudly

“I despise you” she stated, not having the energy to put any real malice into her tone.

The action of being pushed backwards caused her head to spin and her stomach churn, that and she was hot and dizzy, her head ached and the over large t-shirt she slept in was so damp with sweat that it clung to her body.

.

“I’m sick” she admitted reluctantly.

.

Corvus crossed his arms in front of his chest “Really (!)” he bit out sarcastically with an emotionless expression.

The Medic confirmed that Proxima had indeed come down with a fever, perhaps something she’d picked up on their last mission.

The Order, minus Corvus due to the abilities granted to him by his glaive, were regularly vaccinated against a wide variety of illnesses, diseases and infections, it was simply bad luck that Proxima’s body had reacted badly to whatever it was she had caught.

However the medic assured that the fever would pass within the next few days and after two weeks she would be entirely back to normal.
.

After being administered a serum that would help control the fever Proxima was able to leave the medical bay and return to her own room.

Crawling into her bed Proxima sighed, irritated and tired, she felt the covers being pulled up to her shoulders. .

After two years of relying on each other for little more than sexual, physical release he had confessed to her that he wanted more, he had been surprised but delighted when she had reciprocated, returning his growing feelings of affection with her own.

Proxima half opened her eyes when the back of Corvus’s hand met her cheek; she shifted as though avoiding his touch.
.

Taking this as his cue to leave Corvus turned his back only for a clammy hand to grab onto the edge of his cloak making him turn back again.
.

“Stay” Proxima mumbled

Corvus was surprised but made no protest.
.

He looked down at her with concern he barely attempted to hide

“What can I do?” he asked quietly after a few moments of silence and Proxima sat up, plucking at the fabric of her shirt
.

“Find me a fresh one of these?” she requested, the shirt she currently wore was too warm from her own body heat and uncomfortably damp with sweat.
.

Corvus nodded once and found her something else, but when he turned to hand her the item Proxima had kicked away the bed covers and slumped back against the pillows, half asleep and uncomfortable.

Corvus’ hand fluttered at the slightly raised hem of her shirt .

“Can I-” he asked,
Despite herself Proxima scoffed weakly

.

“You’ve seen me so many times, asking seems rather redundant don’t you think?” she raised an eyebrow and Corvus admitted she was correct and proceeded to help her change.

.

“If you mention this to anyone, even your brother, I will kill you. As many times as necessary” she threatened once she had laid down.

She was now dressed in a fresh t-shirt and the bed covers adjusted so that they covered her up to her waist, Corvus sat beside her with an accepting expression “As you wish” he told her lightly, within moments Proxima was sleeping.

Proxima moaned tiredly as she woke, finding Corvus sat beside her, dabbing her forehead with a damp rag, he stopped upon seeing her eyes open to gaze at him questioningly .

“Your temperature has been rising fast over the last few hours, this should help” he explained
.

“Er, Cull once came down with a fever when we were young, before he and I joined the Order.” He added, clarifying his knowledge of how to deal with this particular affliction.

Proxima nodded but Corvus was unsure she had fully comprehended his words in her feverish state.

It wasn’t long however that she started shivering, with a grimace she turned her head away wanting to avoid the cold touch of the rag even in her sleep.

Putting the rag to one side Corvus brushed a few strands of hair from Proxima’s face; an inadvertent rumble broke free from Corvus’ chest, a low sound meant to comfort his partner, after running his claws through her hair until she settled.

The next time she woke Proxima She felt an added weight spread across her entire body, with an impatient sound she fought off this added weight, which was in fact being provided by Corvus’ cloak which he had spread over her like an extra blanket. .

Proxima pushed it away along with the bed covers
.

“Too warm” she slurred, apparently to herself because when Corvus moved to give her some space her eyes opened

.

“Corvus” she sighed in inadvertent relief as though realizing he was still beside her.

However she quickly realized that her head was pounding, her limbs felt heavy and her joints ached.

Corvus heard the rest of the Order retreat to their own chambers to rest, he faintly heard Thanos’ heavy footfalls two floors above, he saw Proxima wince, crushing her eyes sht, her body becoming tense to Corvus concern
.

“Are you in pain?” he questioned, Proxima nodded softly
.

“My head is splitting” she whispered, even the volume of her own voice providing discomfort.
.

Corvus stood from the bed
.

“Do you have anything?” he asked, keeping his tone low and even.
.

Proxima gestured weakly with one hand
.

“Box by the sink” she stated as her teeth began to chatter.

Corvus quickly found the clear container she had spoken of, it contained rolls of bandages, containers of pills and a bottle of antiseptic among other medical essentials.

Corvus returned with a half full glass of water and two painkillers in his hands .

“Here take these, they’ll at least take the edge off-…Proxima?”

He interrupted himself when he realized that Proxima had fallen back to sleep, but Corvus knew without something to help with the pain Proxima would only feel worse for it so he attempted to wake her, when his first attempts didn’t work he lifted Proxima so that she rest against his chest.

She mumbled groggily, trying to push him away but Corvus remained firm

.

“Proxima, come on wake up, just for a minute then you can rest.” he urged.
.

Finally she seemed to waken just enough for Corvus to tip the glass of water to her lips, slowly so that she didn’t choke, the cool liquid hitting her dry throat seemed to coax her further out of her sleep and she readily drank down the pills along with a few more mouthfuls of water until Corvus took it away, setting it back down on the table.
.

“Stay” was the only word Corvus was able to discern from the brief string of incoherent words she mumbled as she slumped back, giving in to sleep yet again.

He stayed with her all through the ships rest hours. He was soon aware of the others beginning their duties around the ship but he stayed where he was – he’d spoken to Thanos via the communicator on his wrist, explaining Proxima’s condition. .

Thanos had reluctantly agreed that someone monitor her condition, though Corvus had reserved himself to doing so regardless of whether his master agreed, punishment be damned so long as he was able to watch over the woman he’d come to love so dearly.
.

Proxima meanwhile had slept fitfully, tossing and turning, slipping in and out of consciousness. Corvus glanced down, she was shivering more violently than he’d ever seen and curled into herself in some sort of attempt to retain body heat. He wanted to reach out and hold her close in order to stabilize her body temperature by sharing his own.

.

Neither of them had reached for this sort of the intimacy when it had just been about sex; taking what they sought from the person willing to give it in their pursuit of their own selfish need for release.

But gradually over those two years things started to change – Corvus could no longer recall when or who had first on instigated it but on very rare occasions she would allow him to hold her while they caught their breath, sometimes this lead to another round if they needed it others she would simply slide across the bed to get to her feet to dress hastily and finally leave.

If they found themselves in her chambers she would simply ease out of his reach and Corvus would instinctively know when to return to his own rooms.

Things were different now however. They had slowly allowed themselves to exchange affection, verbal and physical without it having to lead to just a brief bout of stress release.

Mindful of waking her Corvus inched down onto the bed slowly, propping the top half of his body with one arm and using the other to pull Proxima against his chest, she moaned and her teeth chattered with cold despite her clammy forehead.

Proxima shifted as she woke, stiff but she quickly put that down to the odd position she found herself in as she regained her bearings. She was curled against Corvus’ side, his hand was drawing her hair back from her forehead, claws lightly scratching her hairline as he did so. .

She moved just enough to look up at him, meeting his gaze properly for the first time in almost forty eight hours
.

“Did I wake you?” he questioned, stopping his soothing actions, Proxima shook her head only to flinch when he kissed her forehead
.

“Don't. I’m sweaty, disgusting”

.

Corvus almost laughed

“Far from disgusting, but if you were you are sick with a fever; I think you have every right to be.” He told her, receiving a seat to the arm.

The hit was weaker than her norm she must have been feeling better because she rolled her eyes and swatted his arm in a rare show of playfulness.

Corvus caught her wrist lightly and the corner of his mouth twitched into a smile, reflecting this Proxima touched her fingers to his chest

“I think…I could get used to this” she admitted reluctantly, Corvus brow rose but she continued
.

“Perhaps you can stay here…when I’m not sick” she suggested.

.

Corvus understood this was different territory for his partner, admitting she enjoyed something that was unrelated to the cruelty and violence their lifestyle came with but rather something…pleasant and intimate in way that she wasn’t used to.

Corvus felt honoured that she was willing to reach out to him in such a way and kissed her forehead, without her moving to avoid it this time
.

“When you’re well again, we can talk.” he vowed, he wanted to be certain it was not the fever controlling her words.

Proxima’s fever began to recede after this and soon enough she was well again, no longer sick or feverish and only under another two days bedrest as a precaution and although he had to return to his duties after Proxima was cleared of her fever he returned to her during rest hours to sleep by her side.

Chapter 44: SCARS

Summary:

While Proxima is not vein, Corvus comforts her when she's feeling self-conscious

Chapter Text

Corvus stirred and rolled over, immediately noticing his wife’s absence, even before they married the pair often woke to find their hands clasped loosely in their partners, or sometimes it was her head on his shoulder or locked together in an intimate tangle of limbs and bed sheets – today, nothing. .

Corvus partly sat up, leaning on one arm, in the same second he spotted her; she stood with her back to him, bare from the night before and examining her left arm in the full length mirror beside the small wardrobe against the wall.

Proxima Midnight was not vein, she was proud; of her place in the order, or her abilities in battle and of her strong and sadistic nature.

But other than ensuring her physical fitness and health with required vitamin drinks and physically demanding training regime her appearance often came as a second thought in her life,.

More recently, however, Corvus had noticed her paying more attention to the scars covering almost every inch of her arm, from above the wrist to her shoulder joint, most of the burns had healed, the scars already faded, while others, including the scars left from various skin grafts stood out more against her grey tinted skin.

Corvus, now wide awake, got to his feet and pulled on a pair of loose black pants that lay on the floor.

If Proxima heard him rise from the bed she did not indicate, she let her arm drop heavily to her side when her husband wrapped his arms around her from behind, drawing her close – her skin colder even than usual which meant she must have been standing in front of the mirror for a while.

“What is it my love?” he asked quietly

Proxima came close to smiling but didn’t

“I’m perfectly well, Have I said something to indicate otherwise?” she asked curiously, relaxing slightly as Corvus pressed a kiss to the side of her neck.

Corvus shifted but did not retract his embrace

“Not at all. But then, you don’t have to”

Proxima sighed  without maliciousness

“Damn your perceptiveness”

Laying her right hand over his arm, holding her left hand out, palm facing towards them

“It doesn’t bother me really…”

She paused, flexing her fingers as she examined the lines and blemishes caused during a disastrous mission.

They had been stuck inside a building, a fire had broken out, Proxima had become trapped under a fallen beam and her arm and right leg had never been the same since.

The marks left on the outside were paired with permanent tissue and muscle damage within.

Corvus thread his fingers through hers, bringing her hand closer he kissed the area where the scars began just above her wrist, he slowly brought her arm up so that his lips brushed over every scar he could reach on her inner forearm, he heard Proxima sigh and relax further in his arms.

Her hand came to the back of his head and he held her arm up by cupping her elbow, sliding the same hand under her bicep Corvus continued to brush his mouth over her scars.

When he could go no further in their current position Corvus paused

“What can I do?” 

Nothing would be beyond his power if it would distract her from whatever inner battle she was suffering.

Proxima’s gaze remained downcast, fixed on where her hand rested on his arm which was still encircling her middle.

Proxima slowly lowered her arm and turned to face Corvus, hands resting on his shoulders as she pressed her forehead to his, a rough growl shuddered from the cavity of his chest. .

“This, this helps” she stated,

“You make me feel loved, attractive…like these”

She flexed her scarred arm against his shoulder

“Like these really don’t matter” she admitted, Corvus kissed her cheek

“They don’t; not to me. Something like that could never-" 

His clawed hand fell to brush her thigh, the scars on her right leg, sustained in the same accident, were lower down, reaching from her ankle to her knee and therefore out of his reach.

“My love, I am merely relieved that you came away alive, yes you are scarred, but you’re here by my side where I need you, my  Midnight” 

His kisses ventured across her cheek, briefly lingering the edge of the black mask-like marking across her face, and down to her neck, he smiled when he heard a soft chuckle from his wife as his lips ghosted over the black line tattooed between her lover lip and her chin.

Proxima gasped in surprise when Corvus lifted her into his arm and carried her over to the bed, crawling on top of her, supporting a majority of his upper body by planking his arms either side of her waist.

She pushed away the section of hair that had fallen across herface and Corvus felt the muscles in her stomach flutter as he lightly nipped and kissed her torso.

His hand came to the back of her knee and shuffled lower, refocusing his attention on the scars on her legs, starting at her ankle and kissing his way up, letting his teeth graze the skin softly.

Proxima sighed, arching her back and shifting her leg as the softer touches sent jolts through her..

With teeth sunk into her lower lip, she looked down to her husband

“Wha-what have I ever done in this life to deserve you, husband?” she breathed.

Corvus’ hand took over from his mouth as he met her gaze, chin resting on her leg but not uncomfortably.

“I cannot fathom” he smirked, drawing a laugh from Proxima and as he continued.

He reached for her hand and she entwined their fingers, holding them to her lower torso as Corvus continued to draw his free hand as well as his mouth across her leg and Corvus made a silent vow that not one of Proxima’s scars would go without his attention that morning.

Chapter 45: BLOODLUST

Summary:

An alternative take on the fight in Edinburgh where Proxima is injured instead of Corvus

Notes:

Been planning this for ages but only just got round to actually writing it up

some inspiration from Lucifers_Trash_Stash's fic 'Reunion' but sincerely hope it isn't too similar. no copyright etc intended

Chapter Text

While Corvus fought off Captain America and Falcon, Proxima tackled Black Widow – who still clutched Proxima’s spear in her hands.

A harsh, metallic screech echoed through the air as one of the Falcons wings was ripped off my Corvus Glaive who then threw the human viciously to one side before raising his glaive to defend against Captain America who had tried to strike his head with the vibranium shield.

Meanwhile a well -timed lunge by Natasha Romanov meant one of the three points of Proxima’s spear was driven through the alien females shoulder!

Trying not to buckle under the pain and sudden weight spreading through her veins, Proxima threw her head back and howled, tremors wracked her form, eyes burning with outrage, she grasped the neck of the spear and ripped it free.

Proxima swung the weapon clumsily; the glowing blue ridge embedded in the handle hit Black Widow on the side of the head, knocking her away.

Amid his fierce scuffle with Captain America and Falcon, Corvus had seen his wife knock her attacker away just before collapsing to the ground; as through brought down by her own weight…only one thing could have caused that.

Corvus’s body heaved with the force of the enraged snarls that rattled through his chest.

Tunnel vision over took him, the edges of his sight blurred by red and with an unholy snarl Corvus barely felt the gravel under his feet as he hurtled forward…

There was a brief second of weightlessness as his body soared through the air, closing the distance between himself and Black Widow warm blood splattered across his face, the scent and taste of flesh and blood filled his nose and mouth, so much that it almost felt like he was drowning in it.

Sam and Steve, along with an exhausted Wanda and wounded Vision, could only watch in sickened horror as Corvus Glaive tore out Natasha’s throat.

Clawed hands shoved away the corpse between his jaws and Corvus braiced himself between Proxima and the remaining humans.

Sam was leaning heavily to one side, slightly unbalanced by shock and the removal of one of his mechanical wings while Steve, practically doubled over in grief, nausea brought on by the gruesome sight of Black Widows mutilated, almost decapitated body.

Taking advantage of their moment of distraction Corvus took a few steps back, crouching by Proxima; she was lying on her back, arching her body and clawing at the gash in her shoulder, her husband looked to her with concern

“Can you get up?” he demanded, she half opened her eyes, shaking her head with a groan of pain. The weight of a star almost fully immobilizing her.

Corvus grabbed Proxima’s wrist and slammed a hand over the communication band around his own – a beam of light surrounded them and brought them back up inside the Q-ship hovering above.

Corvus laid Proxima in the middle of the floor; she was limp – scarcely able to apply enough pressure to stop the deep blue blood seeping through her fingers.

Corvus quickly stood, gathering a few medical supplies from the small cabinet and returned to her side, he moved to part the torn fabric of her suit in order to properly see the damage, her suit sticking to the bloodied gash

“Alright, Proxima hold on, let me just-” Corvus started, only for Proxima to twist her body away, biting her lip with a stifled cry of pain.

Corvus almost winced at the sound and sight, gently holding her arm he rolled her back into her previous position, tightening his grip as he used the other hand to peel away the blood soaked leather

“You have to sit up so I can get this off, I can’t bandage the wound as you are now” Corvus told her, with his hand resting on her back.

Proxima tried to support her weight with her unhindered arm only to cry out in agony and slumped to the ground, the amount of pain and blood she had lost now taking its toll, she blindly grabbed for Corvus’ arm

“My love…” she tried to warn him but faded into blackness as she passed out.

Proxima shifted slightly, immediately regretting it when pain flared in her shoulder.

A hand was at her temple, a thumb stroking soothing patterns across the blue/black marking that covered her forehead from ear to ear.

Exhausted and dizzy she took several deep breaths as she tried to gain a better sense of her surroundings; the softness of the area she lay upon meant she was lying on the mattress in the far corner of the ship rather than on the harsh metal floor.

The dip in the space beside her and the warmth radiating into her side meant Corvus was there by her side, right where she needed him.

Every part of her body still felt too heavy to move and the stab wound in her shoulder burned intensely but the wound had stopped bleeding, and had been cleaned and bandaged.

Proxima forced herself to open her eyes to find Corvus watching over her, squeezing his hand she uttered his name once more, sliding her hand to cup his cheek. With his hands now clean of his victims blood, he nuzzled her palm

“I thought…” he started, speaking through clenched teeth he recalled the image of his wife, seemingly lifeless before him just hours ago...he inadvertently shuddered.

Proxima, eyes narrowed as she ignored the pain in her shoulder “I’ll be alright” she promised.

Corvus however remained unconvinced

“If you could see yourself-” Corvus started, Proxima gave a scoff of laughter, wincing as it jarred her injury

“that is all I need right now, husband, a criticism of my appearance” she said in jest.

Corvus however did not laugh

 

“You know that is not what I meant” he stated firmly, turning avoid her gaze.

Proxima could sense her teasing was not going to improve her husband’s mood. In the few moments of silence that followed a thought struck her

“the one that did this…” she hissed, Corvus smirked

“Taken care of” he assured

she recognised the predatory gleam in his eye, her hand left his cheek, finger swiping across his cheek, upon closer inspection Proxima found it to be congealed blood, with a deep look of intrigue she met Corvus’ gaze as she sat up slightly, wincing but she was persistent

, Proxima leant back against the headboard putting her blood splattered fingers to her mouth

“Tell me” her smirk mirroring his own.

Corvus chuckled, hands either side of Proxima’s hips he pressed a kiss to her forehead. Even wounded and clearly weary from the skirmish, she was eager to hear the bloody, gory details.

By the time he had finished Corvus was sat on the bed beside his wife while she had moved to lie down (flat on her back the only comfortable and relatively painless position) she looked up at him with heavy eyes.

The claw of his index finger trailed across the bare skin of her neck as he described how he had avenged her attack by removing the wind-pipe of the infernal Terran that had harmed her.

Proxima shuddered at his touch

“Sounds as though you dealt with her swiftly and brutally, dear husband. I’m sorry to have missed it” she said once Corvus had finished.

The back of his hand followed the curve of her horn, in other circumstances it might have been an action intended to arouse, instead she found it soothing, feeling the tenseness in her muscles slacken a fraction.

Corvus’ mouth twitched into a smile

“Not to worry my love, there will be plenty of carnage to come, we will get that stone for Thanos and we will cut down any other pathetic Terrans that wish to try and stop us” he told her.

Proxima was smiling softly, her aching body crying out for rest and sleep, seeing this Corvus withdrew his hand from her horn to brush the heel of his thumb across her forehead

“Rest my love. You will have your slaughter, my lady Midnight, even if I have to herd them like beasts to your feet” he vowed,

Proxima chuckled tiredly, she knew her husband was only half joking and that, should she ask for it, he would do exactly that.

With the promise of the chance to sate her own desire for slaughter Proxima finally gave in and allowed sleep to claim her.

Chapter 46: CONFESSIONS AND CONSEQUENCES*

Summary:

Corvus has done it. He's told Proxima exactly how he feels for her, but does she feel the same?

Notes:

Something of a companion piece to chapt 36 'Admission'

Set pre-marriage

Chapter Text

Narrowly avoiding blaster fire, Proxima Midnight crouched low to the ground, darted forward to drive her spear through her attacker’s chest.

Proxima couldn’t remember the last time she was so distracted, especially not while on a mission. Deep down, she knew the cost of her not having her head in the moment, on the battle raging around her, the price of letting your personal life and feeling to take away your focus but she just couldn’t prevent her mind from wandering.

It was Corvus Glaive, her team mate and, for the past two years at least, her lover and bed-mate, who had her so distracted; they’d been engaged in a strictly physical relationship for two years, and then…something changed. At first neither of them addressed it, comfortable enough with each other, trusting each other enough to let things play out without having to speak of it; the nights they would simply lay in bed and…talk, nothing more.

The affection behind seemingly harmless touches; Corvus lightly tracing his claws across the back of her hand or her thigh brushing his as they fell asleep close beside each other. But last night, last night he’d done it. Corvus had verbally confessed to having fallen in love with Proxima Midnight.

In the present Corvus Glaive passed in a blur out of the corner of her eye; to avoid a blow from his opponent he threw himself back, skid backwards across the sand he came to a stop beside Proxima. Behind them stood high, jagged cliff faces which could have offered some advantage in height but they just too steep and too high to climb. Proxima reached out for her spear as it soared threw the air back to her waiting hand.

With Outriders mindlessly ravaging lower league, badly trained soldiers, the Black Order dealt with the army’s leaders, they’d made a significant dent in their opponent’s offensive resources as well as their defences.

Ebony Maw levitated above the battle field, re-directing gun-fire, weaving his hands to turn the missiles back on the ones who fired them. Cull Obsidian swung his iron battle-axe and knocking away three of the opposing generals at once, their bones splintered and broke upon immediate impact with Obsidian’s weapon. Charging her spear with energy she fired the killing blow, striking the last surviving General down.

Breathing heavily she lowered the weapon, sharing a look of triumph with Corvus, his blood-red eyes rarely ever looked more alive than when he was on the battle field, cutting down their enemies, the blood of those that defied their masters orders dripping, hot and thick from the blade of his spear.

The moment was broken however when Cull hollered at the couple

“Brother, mine field!”

When she gave the slightest hint of movement, perhaps as though to turn around, the glaive wilder grabbed Proximas' arm to restrain her, she hadn't yet seen the number of pins surrounding them until she glanced down  and Proxima gasped, she’d been so distracted, by her attackers and her own thoughts, that she hadn’t noticed she’d backed herself into an active mine field.

All around her and Corvus were the tell-tale signs of the small detonators, Corvus recognised them immediately

“If the pins are stepped on, or exposed to the smallest amount of force they will activate, once that pressure is released the mine will explode” Corvus explained quickly,

As Proxima looked around she couldn't help but feel the panic strike her chest, countless pins scattered at their feet, there was almost no way of moving without stepping on one and a single misstep would end in disaster. How it had been avoided up till now was nothing short of miraculous.

She thought of the night before…she hadn’t returned Corvus’ confession; they’d spent the rest of the night together but with a rare silence separating the two, to say nothing of the lack of physical closeness as they slept. She’d woken to find him gone, and hours later they were sent out on this tribute collection.

Now they were virtually stranded in the centre of an active mine field. As she became more aware of their situation she very carefully shuffled back an inch or so, her spine met Corvus' as they assessed the area around them. Corvus, now back to back with Proxima, reached for her hand, taking it he felt her squeeze until he felt it might break.

Without looking to him Proxima addressed her partner

“Corvus…” she started

Before she could continue Corvus turned to her, she looked down briefly to see him stepping down on a pin as he did so to her horror, she gave him a panicked look and was about to protest but he lifted suddenly lifted her and launched her backwards.

Rolling across the ground Proxima regained her bearings, Corvus’ weapon landed beside and she looked up just in time to see Corvus take his foot off the land mine pin which detonated instantly. What was left of his body was tossed into the air; the top half of his body, ending at his torso, landed in a mangled, mutilated heap just feet from Proxima, who skittered backwards as the colour drained from her face, her breathing quickened, escaping in short gasps.

Hours later, Proxima stood outside Corvus’ room in the Sanctuary 2’s medical bay.

The room was structured out of floor to ceiling glass meaning Proxima could see everything. Machines connected to his body bleeped rhythmically, the ventilator that was meant to measure a patients breathing, was still. Proxima gnawed at the already chewed nail of her thumb, her eyes scanned Corvus’ face through the glass, he was on his back, the space where his lower body should have been was covered by a sheet.

Obsidian approached Proxima, standing beside her

“It’s just precautions” he reminded, eyeing Corvus’ glaive that stood leaning against the bed at the foot of Corvus’ bed.

“He’s come out of worse situations than this” he told his team-mate

Proxima took a sharp inhale

“I know” she said simply

After a moment of silence Obsidian spoke again

“It takes a while to get used to” he revealed

He knew Proxima and Corvus’ relationship was much more than it seemed

“He took a long time to come to terms with it” he said

Releasing her abused thumb-nail, Proxima looked up at him, he almost chuckled at the look on her face

“He came to me months ago, when he first started to feel that something had changed, he had no idea what to do with those feelings; he’d never had someone become part of his life quite like you have” he added,

“He’s never wanted anyone to be part of his life, not like he wants you”

Placing a large hand on Proxima’s shoulder, inclining his head to Corvus’ room

“He’ll be fine in a few days”

With that he turned to leave and sure enough Proxima saw the ventilator had begun to rasp in time with Corvus’ breathing, torturously slow but they would grow stronger with every passing hour.
Several hours later any equipment aiding in Corvus’ breathing was removed, but when he’d started to react violently to the pain and discomfort of his lower body regenerating a sedative was administered.

Two days passed, Proxima had kept her distance, engrossing herself in her own duties but at night she found it harder than she thought possible, she’d gotten used to Corvus being there while she slept, the absence of his naturally warm frame encircling her made her own chambers feel so much colder, so much emptier than they had in a very long time.

On the third night she’d tossed and turned for four hours before giving up, dressing quickly in one her older, faded black suits she exited her chambers.

 

She arrived at the medical unit, the medic on duty had enough sense not to try and stop her from entering the glass room, now completely void of machinery.

Proxima approached with more caution than she would admit, she stood near Corvus’ head, her fingers reaching out and with astonishing gentility, touching his cheek, his skin was warm, not as warm as it should have been but there was enough heat to reassure her that he was no longer in the icy grasp of death.

Her expression remained stoic but her vision became blurred with tears she fought not to shed.

It wasn’t just Corvus’ absence that caused her this unease. Corvus’ confession had startled her, forcing Proxima to think deeply on her own feelings; she’d tried to come to some conclusion but failed

“I haven’t been able to stop thinking on what you said, I let it distract me, I shouldn’t have” she started

“But…I’ve never had someone tell me that” she admitted,

She straightened upon seeing Corvus blink several times, it took a few more moments before he was able to focus on her face.

He had heard the vulnerability in her tone, as though she were sharing some deeply concealed part of her soul for the first time, Proxima forced herself to give him a half smile

“You can hear me?” she asked quietly

Corvus nodded once, his mouth moved but only a strange, strangled sound passed his lips,

Proxima shook her head slightly

“Don’t try to speak. You’re in the medical unit, for observation.” She explained

Corvus rolled his eyes but Proxima was quick to regain his attention

“This was because of me, wasn’t it?” she demanded

Her hand no longer at his cheek, when Corvus looked to her in shock and confusion she re-phrased her question

“This was for me, because of what you said”

Proxima started pacing the length of the bed, whatever doubt she might have had concerning the truth of Corvus’ confession had been banished

“You threw me down out of the way” she stated

Corvus’ expression softened, he responded with a slow nod and sighed

“Better this happened to me than you” he insisted

Proxima ceased her pacing his eyes followed her as she came back to his bedside

“When the mine went off I felt sick…were it not for your glaive you wouldn’t be here at that thought, it actually….scared me, more than anything”

She grit her teeth and Corvus leant up slightly

“Does that mean you-” he urged, concealing the jolt of hope he felt rise in his chest

Proxima’s expression remained hesitant

“I believe I do Corvus Glaive, but I don’t know for sure, not yet. Even if I did…I don’t know if I could ever say it…out loud, I mean.”” she admitted, toying with the sterile bed sheet under her hand in an attempt to distract herself

“But I don’t want anything to change, I don’t want things to go back to the way they were two years ago and I don’t want to lose what we have now”

The words ‘I don’t want to lose you’ remained unsaid but lingered in the air nonetheless

Corvus’ hand rested over hers

“You won’t, things don’t have to change if that isn’t what you want” he started,

“Midnight, if time is all you need we have plenty of it. So I’ll wait…as long as it takes.” He told her

Proxima emitted a sound that was part chuckle part sigh of relief as slid to her knees as his bedside, resting her chin atop their entwined hands.

What she didn’t see was Cull Obsidian had been watching for the past few seconds, he too had been unable to sleep and decided to check on his brothers’ recovery, but it seemed he wasn’t needed. His thick skin made a quiet cracking sound as he smirked slightly and left the medical unit.

He’d heard some of what Proxima had said and he could tell by the way she watched Corvus’s features, they way her thumb brushed over his as she gripped his hand, that it would not take long for Proxima to realize her feelings because it was as clear as daylight to anyone watching that she was in fact in love with Corvus Glaive.

She just didn’t know it yet.

Chapter 47: DEFENCE

Summary:

Proxima risks THanos' wrath, to save his life

Notes:

Emetophobia warning for this chapter! I've heard writing about V* can be theraputic so, as a suffer of this phobia myself, I decided to try it.

Chapter Text

Proxima Midnight scowled. The heat she could bare, the scratch of sand that had somehow made its way between her layers of armour and battle suit was tolerable. But the crowds; they made her agitated, it was harder to predict trouble.

Thanos stood just feet away, finishing a major trade deal with three Zytoic General Leaders. Mechanical parts, fuel and more than enough food and drink to ensure that the Sanctuary 2’s flight and tech crews for six months.

Despite her tension, Proxima kept herself calm, the rest of the Order were scattered around Thanos; Obsidian flanking their master by a few feet, the Maw to Proxima’s far left and Corvus…

Corvus was prowling the area, covering more ground, scanning faces as he went, as on edge as his wife, more so.

Finally the deal was concluded and Chitauri were ordered to begin loading cargo onto the ship. It all felt too easy for Proxima’s liking.

Stopping a Chitauri as it carried a crate of bottled water onto the ship she took one for herself, earger to ease the dryness in her throat cause by the heat of the planets three suns.
Corvus stepped up to her side

“We’re almost done here” he assured, sensing her tension as if it were his own

“Hm” Proxima acknoladged him but didn’t comment, taking another drink as Thanos conversed with one of the three General Leaders.

She grimaced at the bitter after taste.

Corvus looked to her more closely
“Midnight?” he started

But she’d spotted a Zytoic peasant bolting from the scene. Proxima looked at the bottle in her hand and then to Thanos, who lifted a similar bottle in his hand. There was a sinking feeling in her gut

Without thinking she darted forward,

“Maw! Far left! She instructed.

She leapt through the air and swung the handle of her spear knocking the bottle from Thanos’ grasp.

Asecond later, Thanos bat her away. She rolled and landed at a perplexed Corvus’ feet

Thanos approached her with an expression that many didn’t live to see twice

“EXPLAIN YOURSELF PROXIMA MIDNIGHT” he thundered

Gasping from being propelled backwards, Proxima got to her feet, her stomach burned and she trembled uncontrollably

“Father, I’m sorry, it’s poisoned-” she suddenly lurched to one side, doubling over and vomiting violently.

Corvus was at her side immediately

Meanwhile the Maw dropped the Zytoic peasant before Thanos, and restrained the three Zytoic leaders with a wave of his hand.

Looking from the guilty and fearful looking Zytoic, to his sick Black Order General, Thanos quickly determined the situation with a shocked expression.

Clutching her stomach, Proxima collapsed to her knees with Corvus guiding her to the floor gently

Her vision blurred before turning black as she passed out.

Beep. Beep. Beep

The rhythmic sound of the heart monitor attached to her chest was the first thing Proxima registered.

The second was the scuff of sterile sheets beneath her bare body, a reprieve from the hot, dry sand but uncomfortable in its own right.

Her eyelids fluttered for a moment before opening fully.

She was on her back, in the Sanctuary’s medical unit. The fire that had engulfed her insides had subsided but not vanished.

Her head jerked to one side, Thanos, having just finished speaking with a medic, entered the room.

Clutching the sheet covering her close to her chest Proxima tried to sit up, certain her actions, while instinctual and well intentioned would not go unpunished.

“Master…I am sorry for…I was only…agh” she flinched as her stomach started to ach more intensely, she felt sick to her stomach still.

Thanos however waved a hand, he could sense the fear in his adopted daughter, practically smell it as she watched him warily, at least her brazen actions had not affected that.

Without their fear, fear of what he could and would to at the blink of an eye for any hint of treachery, he would lose his control.

 

He stepped closer to the bed of Proxima Midnight

“Usually I would not condone such actions from my subordinates as you well know, yet regardless of that knowledge you acted in my defence. I should’ve known the Zytoic were planning something. Yet again you’ve proven your loyalty Proxima Midnight, and I do not punish those who are loyal to me, especially when they have just prevented me from being poisoned.” he stated

She tensed and inhaled as he placed a hand on her head in a rare show of gratitude

“As reward you’re to rest until you feel able to resume your regular duties.” He told her, his hand left her head and she looked up

“Thank you Father. I’m honoured by your generosity” she declared, taking a gulp of air as her nausea threatened to override her will power.

Thanos nodded once and began to leave
“Father…” she bit her lip, stopping herself, but when Thanos turned back to face her

“Corvus Glaive and Cull Obsidian are returning the infected goods acquired as we speak, it’s likely they’ll be forcing the General Leaders to consume their own products if Glaive has any say in the matter. They will return within the hour.” He answered. He knew each of the Black Orders weaknesses as deeply and thoroughly as he knew his own.

It was only after her master had left that Proxima relaxed, grabbing the trash bin from beside the bed.

Pushing her hair back away from her face, Proxima wiped her mouth with the corner of the sheet covering her and rested her head on the pillow, letting sleep claim her.

When she next woke it was to Corvus taking her hand.
She mumbled something tiredly and gripped his hand tighter. Despite his stoic expression Proxima could see the concern in his crimson gaze

“I’m alright” she insisted, her throat was raw, her stomach churned, but her mouth twitched into a half smile.

Corvus snorted “Clearly. Three stomach pumps later.” he quipped

Proxima rolled onto her back, not bothering to adjust her covering, he was her husband after all. She lay still, holding their entwined hands over her stomach.

Corvus’ thumb brushed over her knuckles.

“Do not ever worry me that way again. I thought you might…” he paused with a short snarl, unable to stand the though of what might have happened.

“Those Zytoic scum paid for the risk to your life with their own, as you almost did for our master” he informed.

Proxima’s smile finally reached her eyes

“I just know you made quite the mess of them, my love” she grinned

Corvus returned her expression

“Worry not, my wife. I kept one for you.” He whispered darkly.

Her amber eyes flashed briefly

I may be here a while, even I can’t take three stomach pumps and jump to my feet straight after” she joked, her fingers toying with her husbands.

Corvus gave her hand a comforting squeeze “It’ll keep. As long as you need” he reassured.

The promise of a fresh victim awaiting her in the torture chambers strengthened Proxima’s resolve to heal as soon as possible.

Chapter 48: VISION

Summary:

Proxima suffers a horrific injury during a mission, with equally terrible consequences.

Notes:

Request fill for DragonisPrime
Thanks for the idea :)

Chapter Text

Corvus paced outside the double iron doors of the medical bay.

Proxima had been taken away three hours ago and Corvus hadn’t even been permitted to wait outside the room while she was examined and operated on.

Hearing the muffled howl of pain from behind the door Corvus stopped, claws scraping against each other as his hand trembled slightly.

Leaning heavily against the steel wall he knew that, had he the ability to sleep deeply enough to dream, all that would play out in his head would be the events of that morning

 

/flashback/
Corvus threw aside the corpse impaled on the end of his glaive. Cull is not far away, crushing any bodies that so much as twitched.

 

The sounds of battle had begun to die away, but the cries of the wounded and dying still echoing across the fields in a delightful, blood-curdling symphony and Corvus found himself wondering if Proxima is enjoying herself half as much as he is.

“Cull, have you contacted Proxima?” the glaive wielder questioned, he’d not seen his wife in a while and they were due back on the Sanctuary 2, which hovered just outside of the planets atmosphere, by dusk
Cull glanced his way

“No response” he growled, returning his attention the piles of bodies; no survivors Thanos had said.
Corvus frowned

‘Odd ‘

Just as the thought entered his mind the communication band on his wrist vibrated urgently

At first there was only static, and then Proxima’s voice, broken by bursts of interrupted signal, came through

“...Assistance requi-…anyone…”

Before Corvus could respond there’s a scream. Not one of the opposing soldiers, not the shrieks of a fallen Outrider…but close enough. It was a deep, two toned wail of agony and distress.
.

Concerned, he tried to contact her again

“Proxima? What is it? Tell me where you are” he ordered

“Proxima?”
.

His posture tensed when there was no reply.

After what seemed like an eternity however, she answered.

“Corvus…you need to come and get me…i…I don’t know where I am”

She sounded so unlike herself, Corvus almost didn’t believe it was his wife’s’ voice.

The call ended abruptly but their communication bands allowed him to track her easily enough.

Upon seeing her, he expected Proxima to rise to her feet but to his she remained where she was, slumped on the ground, her spear lying in the sand beside her.

She was cupping the side of her head with one hand, holding the other in front of her, palm facing upwards, it was coated with dark blue blood.

 

“Midnight” Corvus called to her, she jumped as though she hadn’t seen him approaching her.

“Corvus?” she called back urgently, there was an air of panic in her voice that Corvus wasn’t used to hearing.

Upon seeing her close up Corvus saw that every ounce of colour had drained from her face, her breathing coming in short, unnerved gasps and Proxima’s eyes darted in every direction, refusing to meet his gaze.

“Let me see” Corvus instructed. He frowned when she resisted, twisting her body away from him with a whine of protest. Such out of character actions unnerved Corvus but he remained calm.
.

“Sh, you’re alright, let me see” he repeated.

Feeling his wife shaking as he pried her hand from the side of her head, it too was coated with blood and Corvus realized what the matter was.
.

Corvus didn’t try to contain his shock.

“Midnight” he rasped, his stomach turned at the sight.

Her left horn was gone…completely.

Exposed flesh, which was jagged and torn at the edges was left, blood ran in thick, and dark, almost black, streaks from the open wound.

Corvus realized that she wasn’t simply refusing to meet his gaze…she couldn’t. She couldn’t see him even though he was directly in front of her.
/End Flash back/

 

Corvus practically lurched away from the wall as the medic exited the Medical bay. The blotchy skinned creature’s head only reached Corvus’ shoulder (a pair of writhing antennae reached higher than Corvus himself)

Corvus’ grip on his glaive tightened.
“Well?” he demanded, ignoring the distracting twitch and squirm of the medic’s antennae

Fidgeting with his pen and clipboard, the medic didn’t so much as flinch at the fearsome Generals tone.

“She’s started to regain consciousness…Proxima Midnight had to be sedated while we worked, for her safety and the medics working on her.”

Had his concern not over ridden every other emotion at this moment, Corvus might have found this amusing.

“Her injuries?” he questioned

The medic checked over his notes.

“She needed twelve stitches and the wound will obviously need to be kept clean to prevent infection. The main issue…”

the Medic paused, only now did he begin to look nervous
Corvus narrowed his eyes

“What?!” he demanded

The Medic stood firm

“Her horn will regrow, so long as she takes the necessary time to rest and recover. But due to the…brutal nature, of its removal, there was some nerve damage, with it being so close to her eye…I’m afraid it’s compromised her vision.” He explained

Corvus took a moment to let this sink in…he couldn’t mean…

“Are you saying…” he started, unable to finish his demand

The medic nodded once

“Blinded in both eyes” the Medic confirmed

Corvus seized the medic by the neck

 

The Medic struggled, legs flailing in mid air.

“Please! It’s Temporary I assure you!” he added hurriedly

Corvus snarled in the medics face

 

“How…Long?” he demanded, his words slow and dangerous

The medic swallowed nervously, he could smell blood on the Generals breath.

 

“I-it depends on her recovery, a month perhaps. Two at most” he answered

“The damage to her head will heal and the horn will begin to grow back. Once the tissue and nerve damage has repaired itself, her sight will start to return” he insisted
Corvus dropped him to the floor.

“Can I go in?” his tone told the medic this anything but a request.

His instinct was to refuse, knowing of his patient’s state but, with his antennae twitched anxiously, the Medic decided not to argue

“She…she’ll be hazy due to the aesthetic” he informed.

Corvus immediately brushed past him with a flick of his ragged, black cloak, the medic was starting to grate on his nerves and the glaive wielder needed to see his wife for himself
.

He passed several empty rooms, all made from floor to ceiling glass with iron frames, Proxima’s room was the fourth to Corvus’ right.

He stopped for a moment, simply staring through the glass at her; flat on her back, with the left side of her head stitched and covered in sterile dressings. Leads where attached to her arm and hand where plugged into a nearby machine, monitoring her blood-pressure, heart rate and other vitals.

 

Corvus entered the room, perhaps louder than necessary, setting aside his glaive and moved to her side

“Proxima” he uttered her name softly

This time she didn’t flinch at his approach, instead she turned her head in his direction and reached for him weakly
“Corvus!” she replied, her eyes hazy, and not just from the after effects of the sedative.

He took her hand in his, her grip tightened, as his did

Her expression turned worried

“Corvus I can’t…I’m-” she seemed not to know what to say, but Corvus interrupted with a comforting sound.

“I know. The Medic told me. But it’s only temporary, my love. A month perhaps less, and your horn, it’ll grow back” he assured.

He’d had his eyes removed from their sockets on more than one occasion, and while they’d reformed hours later, he knew well enough the feeling of vulnerability blindness caused; the feeling of staring into a black void with limited sense of ones surroundings.

Proxima however, had never experienced such an unsettling event.

“Corvus…Stay. Please” she requested

He sat carefully on the bed, feeling her shift closer so that her hip brushed against his; reassured by the contact she relaxed just a fraction.
.

Corvus leant in to kiss her forehead

“Try and sleep my love.” he urged, rest was an important factor in healing from sickness or injury after all.

“I'll not leave your side” he added

Reluctantly, Proxima allowed his hand to slip from hers but as his hand cupped her right cheek she leant into to the comforting touch.

Proxima took a shuddering breath, her stomach rolled with nausea.

“This has…Never happened before, never…Corvus you’ve no idea” she slurred, crushing her eyes shut and digging her nails into the back of his hand.

Corvus said nothing of the way she trembled, or the sickened expression on her features. He knew the extent of the damage, physically and otherwise, this had caused her.

Like all Rheanarians, Proxima’s horns were sensitive, especially at the base, were they grew out from the sides of her head.

It was considered a strong taboo among Rheanarians for their horns to be touched without consent.

Due to their sensitivity, the touching of a Rheanarians horns was considered an act of not only trust, but intimacy, this meant that consent was only ever given between spouses. Thus handling of their horns, of any kind by anyone one other than the owner or their partner, was an assault of the worst kind.

But the violent removal of said horns…it was something else entirely.

Even with her husband by her side, Proxima barely slept the entire night as she was hit by waves of panic at random intervals at all hours.

When she was told that Thanos was personally dropping by for a report on her condition she had become tense, emotionless; determined not to show weakness in front of their master.
.

Corvus was ordered out of the room so he went to fetch some of Proxima’s things from their room.

Upon returning, Corvus found Thanos gone and Proxima slumped back against the pillows in relief.

It turned out that, while Thanos was…disappointed in having his fiercest General out of action for a month or more, his anger was somewhat quelled by his satisfaction with the results of their previous mission.

Then came the frustration; sparked by her spilling the glass of water on the table by the bed.

As a servant was sent for to clean up the mess, Corvus had barely bat an eyelid but Proxima became frustrated and irritable.
Wordlessly, Corvus moved the small table nearer the bed

Hearing his movments Proxima glanced in his general direction

 

“What are you doing?” she asked, reining in her irritation at least enough to let her husband know it wasn’t him she was angry with.

Wordlessly, Corvus took her hand, placing it on the smooth surface of the table and guided her hand along until her finger tips brushed the smooth glass of the freshly filled cup, which was in fact only half full just in case.

Proxima’s expression softened further and, without Corvus’ help, grasped the cup and lifted it, bringing it to hold in both hands

“Thank you” she whispered, it would take time to become used to her loss of vision, but she comforted herself with the fact that, while temporary, she had a supportive, often over-protective, husband who would likely not leave her side until she was healed and well again.

Corvus leant down and kissed her forehead.

Chapter 49: COMFORTABLE*

Summary:

Accidental bed sharing awkwardness

Notes:

Pre-marriage Proxivus

Chapter Text

Proxima groaned as she woke sluggishly and reluctantly. Eyes still closed, she shifted, only to flinch, though it wasn’t surprising that she was sore and as she recalled the events a smirk graced her features.

The scent her companion from the night before still lingered in the sheets and in the pillow where she rested her head; it was surprisingly strong, practically embedded in the fibres of the bed spread.

Even the bed itself felt somehow different than her own, it was warmer.

In fact, now that she thought about it, heat radiated pleasantly into her back, not the heat created from sleeping in the same space for an extended period, Proxima’s significantly cool body temperature meant this wasn’t a possibility, but rather the warmth of another body lying behind her

Proxima froze at the realization, and in the same second she felt a familiar clawed hand twitch against her stomach.

The navy haired female jumped slightly and sat up in surprise, the suddenness of her movements was enough to rouse her companion.

Corvus Glaive’s eyes snapped open, finding Proxima sitting up right beside him, he slowly leant up on one arm, his movements careful, moving as though afraid of disturbing a feral wild-cat.

The pair were silent for a long uncomfortable moment

Corvus, just as taken a-back as Proxima, was the one to break first

“You’re still here” he stated, as though her presence weren’t completely obvious.

Proxima swallowed anxiously and nodded, tucking a stray section of hair behind her horn, avoiding his penetrating, blood red gaze.

She found herself wondering how she’d been so careless; sleep left you vulnerable, especially in the presence of others.

…and yet. Corvus had done nothing to utilize that vulnerability she concluded, why not?

And why did she feel the impulse to lay right back down again, to fold herself against Corvus’ warm body and remain their till the end of time itself…

Proxima finally answered Corvus’ statement

“Apparently so. I…must have fallen asleep.” she replied quietly, the air of awkward tension threatened to strangle her, suffocating her usual confidence.

Proxima toyed with the bed sheet, there was no need to use it to cover herself, it was nothing he hadn’t seen a dozen times before after all but she still fought with the urge to do so none-the-less.

She and Corvus Glaive had been engaged in a physical relationship for over a year now, and in-spite of the time that had passed, as it had with the surprising swiftness which time always did, the relationship remained the same; physical, sexual, and nothing else.

And they had always returned to their own chambers afterwards.

At least until now.

Neither of them spoke after Proxima’s declaration for few minutes, should they discuss it further? Act like it never happened?

Or simply accept it as a simply mistake born of physical exhaustion and vow not to let it happen again?

The unfamiliar situation left both of them floundering in uncertainty until Proxima moved to sit on the edge of the bed, her eyes scanned the floor until she found the clothing she had arrived in last night

“I should go” she said simply, tugging the loose t-shirt over her head and getting to her feet

Corvus noted the stiffness in her actions, he knew when someone was trying to conceal pain, as Servants of Thanos, one learned quickly to hide ones weakness, lest it be used against them.

Not that he’d ever felt the desire to, not with her at least.

“Did I hurt you?” Corvus all but demanded

Proxima, who had been scanning the floor in search of her second and last item of clothing, paused and looked to him in mild surprise

“Not in any way I didn’t ask for” she smirked brazenly

She wasn’t going to be the one to admit that perhaps five times in one night had been a little on the ambitious side, not when it had felt so good at the time.

Corvus chuckled in response, eyeing the bite mark on her thigh and as Proxima located the pair of black, quarter length leggings she had been looking for (kicked hastily under the foot of the bed)

“I’m surprise I didn’t realize you were still there; I don’t sleep that deeply, not normally”

Proxima straightened, her leggings balled up in her hand, and looked at him warily, trying to gage whether he was aiming this statement at her or simply thinking out loud.

She answered anyway, sitting on the end of the bed and tugging on her leggings

 

“What are you saying? That you slept better having me beside you?” she laughed. She dragged a a hand through tangled strands of blue hair, her words however only added to the lingering tension between the pair

Corvus mouth twitched but his expression of amusement was empty

“Coincidence is more likely” he shrugged, sitting up lazily

Proxima made a sound of acknowledgment but refused to verbally address her previous statement.

Finding that they had indeed spent the entire night together, actually sleeping had thrown her but for now she simply wanted to dress and return to her own chambers.

Sensing another bout of awkward silence begin to descend Corvus spoke again

“Shall I come to you tonight?” he inquired

It was Proxima’s turn to shrug

“Should you feel the need” she said in an off-handed manne.

t as she stood to pull the leggings the rest of the way up she met his eye

“Thank you, for last night. It helped” she said sincerely, as she always did once they were finished.

Her amber coloured eyes flashed for a moment with something Corvus couldn’t place.

He nodded and Proxima made her way to the door but as she was about to open it she hesitated, letting her hand hover just centimetres above the control panel

“Actually” she started, her hand became a fist, just for a moment

Corvus, who had swung his legs over the side of the bed to sit at the edge of the mattress, looked up. She held his gaze over her shoulder and Corvus could just make out the sly smile she offered him

“I’ll come to you. It’ll be late though” she warned

Corvus returned her smile with his own

“I’ll wait for you” he answered firmly, the words had left his mouth before he could think.

Her smile faltered but Proxima nodded slowly and let herself out in order to pad back to her chambers before the rest of the Sanctuary 2 began to wake.

There was still three hours until the alarm call would sound and Proxima decided to climb into her own bed, only to find it…cold and uncomfortable.

Suddenly, the bed she had occupied for years now, alone but content in that fact, was now far too large for just her body alone, and even if she wasn’t prepared to admit it to herself, it felt as though something was missing…Or rather, someone.

Chapter 50: INEVITABLE

Summary:

"Once more, she crossed the sea of bodies, almost gagged on the scent of decay in her nostrils and climbed the pile of bones. This time she saw what it was she was climbing for, the object at the top of the mound of skeletal remains"

Chapter Text

Proxima watched the ocean before her. It was impossibly still and silent against a dark, blood red horizon.

Fitting
Since the sea before her was a sea of bodies. The blank unseeing faces of every races, age and gender Proxima Midnight had ever slaughtered in her life.


She felt distant, detatched from her own body as she stepped forward, her feet remained firm, her form balanced as she walked over the bodies before her – she couln’t stop even if she’d tried, some unseen force compelling her to continue.

The further she walked the more decayed the bodies became, the smell of death and decay made her stomach churn still, just…maybe not as much as it should have.


Proxima walked on until she came upon a pile of these bodies. She blinked the bodies turned to bone!

Skulls, ribcages, and bones from amputated limbs were clustered together reaching metres into the sky which had bled into near-blackness the further she’d walked.


With no choice, compelled by that strange, foreign instinct Proxima started to climb.

Fingers hooked into eye sockets, feet came down, leaving crack in rib bones in her wake as she used every available surface to lift herself higher.

A skull cracked under foot; then it shattered, the sound piecing the silence like a knife. Proxima’s foot met empty air and suddenly she was falling. Endlessly, and silently.


Proxima jolted from her sleep as the scream died in her throat, leaving only a winded gasp in its place.

With her chest heaving, she could tell she was lying on her stomach, and a hand was splayed across her shoulder. She let the familiar warmth of this hand bring her out of that odd, half-way point between sleep and consciousness.

She focused on her husbands’ breath on her skin as he uttered her name, and the unintended tug when his claw caught in a not in her hair.

“I’m fine” she breathed

“A Night terror, that’s all." She added, grasping his hand tighter than she wanted to admit.

Corvus knew Proxima to be a creature of few words, and had no trouble simply allowing his wifes’ eyes, her body to tell him what she wanted and needed of him.


He said no more on the subject as she shifted closer and tucked herself tightly against his side and Corvus simply held her, stroked her skin, let her be comforted by the reassurance of his presence lull her back to sleep.

 

The next time it happened, Corvus was away  and not due to return until late the next day.

Again, Proxima hqd walked across the sea of bodies, climbed the pile of bones…this time she had seen something, and finally something in her clicked…she needed to reach what was at the top of the pile of bones

The skull under her foot cracked and broke, and she fell.

She woke, once again, with a jolt and gasping as she came back to herself, but still feeling disorientated she did something she hadn’t done in years:

She picked up her pillow and the bed cover and curled up at the end of the bed, in her dazed state, she preferred the firmness of the floor and the chill of the iron against her bare skin reassure her until she felt calm enough to sleep.

It didn’t happen again until six months later and she’d almost forgotten about it.


Once more, she crossed the sea of bodies, almost gagged on the scent of decay in her nostrils and climbed the pile of bones. This time she saw what it was she was climbing for, the object at the top of the mound of remains.

She reached the top and grasped the handle of her husbands’ glaive, the largest blade was driven deep into one of the thick skulls that sat atop the pile.

She tugged and twisted until finally it came free.


The suddenness of the action caused Proxima to fall, but instead of falling straight down she rolled and tumbled down the path she’d taken to get to the top. She came toa stop at the foot of the pile of bones, thankfully still clutching the glaive in her hands.

There was an almost overwhelming amount of relive, as though a goal she’d been trying to achieve all her life, with all her heart had finally come completion…then all at once it was gone.

The glaive in her hands had started to disappear, disintegrate and turn to ash in her hands! Then the panic started, more intense than she had ever known in all her years…her chest hurt, she couldn’t breathe, she felt like something inside her was disappearing along with the weapon as it faded from her grasp…

 

“-Xima…Proxima! Proxima, wake up” a voice called to her

Proxima woke with a start, gasping as though the next breath would be her last. Corvus was knelt on the floor beside her, shaking her shoulder.

Asshe tried to calm herself, Proxima's gaze darted rapidly until it settled on his. Focusing on the blood red eyes of her husband.

They were the same blood red as the sky had been in that strange place her dreams abducted her to.

“Wh-what’s-” she could feel the phantom pain in her chest that had been so prominent in her dream. Corvus rubbed her arm soothingly.

“You fell asleep, Thanos has summoned all of the Order immediately” he explained.

Proxima nodded and sat up.

Corvus spoke again in a softer tone


“Night terrors again?”.

 

Proxima nodded and got to her feet “Doesn’t matter. It happens.” She insisted

“What does he want?” Proxima replied, referring to Thanos. It wasn’t often that every member of the Black Order was summoned.

Corvus responded in a serious but, almost surprised tone, as though still needing his answer to sink in for himself

“Thanos has located the Stones” 

Proxima frowned, already mentally preparing for inevitable fight that would take place in order to obtain their masters prize


“Which ones?” she urged

Corvus took a step closer

“All of them. It seems that…another Nebula, from nine years in the future, has been brought aboard and her synaptic drive has revealed the location of all five Infinity Stones, all for Thanos’ taking, soon half the universe will be purged from existence, scattered to winds like dust.”

Proxima felt like she'd been punched in the stomach by Cull obsidian, her brother by law and by far the largest, most physically threatening of Thanos' Generals

. Proxima couldn't place why the feeling presented itself and pushed it aside.

Meanwhile Corvus grinned, his sharp teeth jutting slightly in his jaws, and while Proxima mirrored his expression, and genuinely celebrated their masters inevitable and swift victory…a coil of dread swallowed her enthusiasm.

Scattered to the wind…like dust…like her husbands’ weapon had done in her dream…

Chapter 51: TAKEN

Summary:

Based on some artwork I saw of Proxima Midnight being taken to Wakanda after the events of the skirmish of Edinburgh (Fan-art I think but I can't remember the name of the artist, sorry, full credit to original poster of the art work)

Chapter Text

Cull Obsidian grunted as he landed in a spray of half-melted snow and ice on the steel floor of the Q-ship with a heavy thud. Corvus had tracked Cull Obsidian’s signal with the communication bands each member wore and Cull was promptly picked up from the snow-covered continent and undated on the situation and retrieved from the freezing, snowy continent where the Terran Wizard had stranded him.

Cull got to his feet, holding a large hand over the socket where his lower arm should have been, Cull simply watched his brother, knowing better than to ask about the absence of a certain other Child of Thanos. Corvus watched the tracking signal with unblinking eyes, waiting for it to settle on it target. Each second he had to wait seemed to drag on for longer than the previous one.

At that moment a persistent bleeping sounded from the console at the front of the ship, with a swipe of his clawed fingers against the holo-screen, Corvus honed in on a flickering red dot; the signal from his wife’s communication band.

Corvus Glaive’s blood red eyes flashed dangerously from under the shadows of his hood as he lifted his gaze from the console and his claws curled against the iron, making it creak and squeal in protest

“Brush the snow from your shoulders and find a repair for your arm, brother. We land in an hour” he commanded.

He would claim the Mind Stone for Lord Thanos, he would rip it from the Androids forehead with slow and sadistic pleasure and present it to his master on bended knee, as The Maw had done. But he would first find his beloved Midnight, he would free her and together they would slaughter the Terrans foolish enough to lay a hand on her.

WAKANDA

Proxima struggled against the thick rope binding her wrists together behind her back, the thick scrap of cloth the ‘Avengers’ had shoved between her teeth serving as a gag smothered her growl of rage.

The Android was laid out on a table with his Witch of a companion stood beside him while another woman, no more than a child in Proxima’s mind, was working of safely removing the Mind stone from the Androids forehead.

Proxima knew they meant to destroy it once they’d done so. More than anything, she wanted to snatch the stone from the Android’s forehead herself and flee, contact Corvus to fetch her and then they would bring the Stone to Thanos, on Titan.

Glairing furiously at the two Terrans hovering over the Android, Proxima strained against the ropes, making Wanda look up and Shuri pause in her work
“Don’t worry” the princess reassured

“Vibranium is woven into the rope strands, she’s not getting free anytime soon” she added, continuing to work on Vision.

Wanda however, saw the sheer hate, frustration and fury in the strange alien females eyes, the Scarlett Witch was eerily reminded of Lagos, the bright burst of orange in the explosion of Rumlows’ suicide bomb.

Proxima grunted as the Witch flicked her hand, turning Proxima’s chair so that she faced the window rather than Wanda and Shuri.

Proxima lifted her eyes as bright flashes formed above the Wakandan palace. Outrider Transporters were being dropped over-head, while the Q-ship she and Corvus had piloted to Tera hovered in the distance. Soon she’d be freed, and she’d make these Terrans suffer.

Her jaw was starting to ach from being forced apart by the scrap of material but her mouth curved into something resembling a smile as she watched two figures emerging from the treeline, just beyond the tree-line of the Wakandan border.

Once he and Cull Obsidian reached the barrier surrounding the city, Corvus lifted his glaive, hitting the blade on the handle against the protective shield that surrounded the city of Wakanda, Cull Obsidian relaxing his large hand with a growl, his other hand was now replaced with a metal prosthetic that he could change into a blade.

Steve, Natasha and T’Challa crossed the field to the edge of the protective border, coming face to face with the two brothers.

Natasha crossed her arms

“Lose something, or did you just miss us that much?” she quipped

Despite the constant tight coil of rage dwelling in his gut, Corvus’ only physical reaction to the obvious taunt was a sneer, he bared his needle sharp teeth threateningly
“You have something we require.” he stated demandingly

“We will bring the stone to Thanos, no matter how many of your kind we’re forced to slaughter to get it.”
Natasha crossed her arms with an emotionless expression

“So you’re not interested in getting your friends back? That’s pretty cold” she said mockingly much to Corvus’ irritation.
However, outwardly, he forced himself to remain calm

“If you or any of your unruly race have caused harm to my wife you will pay with your lives, and believe me, I will ensure your deaths dealt by my hand will be paradise compared to what Thanos will offer you!” he growled.

The three Avengers remained as impassive as their enemies despite their trepidation caused by Corvus Glaives’ statement, and Natasha and Steve glanced at T’Challa as he spoke

“You are in Wakanda now, Thanos will have nothing but dust and blood” he warned, as emotionless as Steve and Natasha, he hoped their final warning may get through to the alien beings.

Corvus smirked

“We have blood to spare” he retorted, hefting his glaive above his shoulder with a loud snarl.

At his command the Outrider Transporters opened and released thousands of the vicious, chittering creatures. Corvus’ smirk widened as Outriders started to push through the barrier separating Thanos’ forces and the Avengers, shredding themselves in the process but with millions of Outriders at their disposal, Corvus was unconcerned.

Outriders started streaming through the open section of the barrier, Cull and Corvus entered the battlefield not long after.

 

Meanwhile, back inside Shuri’s lab, the teenaged scientist was still trying to quickly but carefully remove the stone from Vison, Wanda alternated between reassuring her lover and keeping a sharp eye on their prisoner.

Proxima had quickly ceased her struggling, she’d come to see that Terran technology, at least here in this city, was not as primitive as they had believed and fighting her restraints was going to get her nowhere.

Instead she kept her eyes focused on the battle below. Threshers had burrowed under the protective barrier and where tearing across the battle field at great speed, bringing death and destruction their paths while Outriders swarmed and mauled the Avengers allies.

‘You under estimate the might of the Black Order, we are Children of Thanos and do not give in so easily’ she wanted to tell her captors, but seeing the red-haired Witch approach the window and see the carnage for herself Proxima felt at least some sense of satisfaction.

It wasn’t long before Wanda broke, she couldn’t watch her friends be killed, watch innocent people fight while she sat back doing nothing!

She said as much, whispering it to Vision with a torn expression, he offered her an understanding look before Wanda darted from the room.

Proxima was mildly surprised at the young woman’s’ willingness to flee the apparent safety of the palace and throw herself into the fray without second thought

‘Good, it will be easier to get to the stone without the witch in the way.’ The female alien thought to herself, trying to twist her wrists free of the ropes tying her down, trying to manoeuvre herself free instead of outright breaking through her restraints. Still nothing seemed to work.

Shuri paused to look out of the large window with concern, she had family, and friends out there and she wondered how many had to die before it would all stop. Proxima saw her fear and released a sadistic chuckle.

In a rare show of anger, Shuri grabbed the Sonic blaster from the table and shot at Proxima, without intending severe harm. The blaster shot through the legs of the chair the female was bound to, with enough force to cause Proxima to hit the ground hard and roll slightly, drawing a muffled shout of pain and protest from Proxima Midnight.

With no limbs available to break her fall, Proxima felt and heard something in her jaw crack upon coming into hard contact with the marble floor. Then she felt it; the persistent vibration against her wrist coming from her communication band.

‘Corvus’ she thought to herself hopefully.

Corvus slunk through the palace corridor swiftly and silently, taking down any and every guard that dared try to stand in his way. He’d used the chaos of battle as concealment in order to slip past their opponents and into the palace, following the tracer on Proxima’s comm-band.

He reached the room where he knew she was being kept and dispatched of the guards, but as soon as he entered Corvus was forced to deflect several Sonic blasts from Shuri’s weapon. When Shuri was knocked easily to one side, her personal guard, Ayo, moved in, engaging Corvus in a brief melee before she too was thrown aside and knocked unconscious.

Corvus glanced around, he didn’t spot the Android holding the Mind Stone but Proxima was sat on the sides of her knees, tied and gagged. Glaive still in hand, Corvus was with her in an instant, placing a hand on her shoulder and his forehead against hers

She hadn’t realized how tense she was until she suddenly felt herself relax against him.

“Midnight, My Midnight” he murmured with relief, he then tugged the scrap of cloth from her mouth and tearing the cloth with his claws.

Proxima took a breath and let her husband help her to her feet

“I’m alright” she insisted, squeezing his shoulder encouragingly

In a flash, the pair where separated!

Vision had launched himself at the pair, throwing himself and Corvus from the high story window.

Proxima, who had been dragged across the floor to the now broken window, leant over and watched as her husband plummet down to wooded area below
“No!” she called out of instinct.

She scrambled to her feet, almost slipping on fragments of broken glass as she grabbed Corvus glaive from the floor as she sprinted from the room.

On the forest floor, Corvus grappled with Vision, multiple times tried to claw the Mind stone from the Androids head. He shoved the Android to the floor he heard the familiar shout of his wife calling his name

Proxima vaulted over the Android’s body and threw Corvus’ weapon into his ready hand,. She landed on one knee beside him, looking up at him she slowly got to her feet.

“Shall we finish this, my love?” she urged, turning to face Vision as Corvus was, eager to take the Mind Stone.

“Indeed My lady Midnight.” Corvus smirked

"Enjoy this my dear, we shall have to leave for Titan as soon as we have claimed the Stone for Thanos, there will not be time to join the slaughter this time, Midnight" he warned

The couple gave equal looks of sadistic pleasure as they rounded on Vision.

Proxima pounced, flipping over Vision's fallen form and trapped him in a headlock to keep him in place, although she was straining to keep Vison restrained due to his strength, she offered her husband a smile over the Androids shoulder as Corvus raised the point of his glaive to Visions forehead.

Chapter 52: REPERCUSSIONS

Summary:

Proxima is reckless, Corvus had always known this, but when she puts herself in danger needlessly, he feels the need to remind her of a few home truths.

Chapter Text

The mission was almost completed, another victory under the belt of the Black Order secured and their opponents on the verge of defeat under the might of Thanos’ forces. The battle field was an expanse of flat ground atop the highest cliffs which were covered by inches of water provided by several waterfalls, their enemies poured out of hidden caves and crevices behind said water falls, like swarms of hornets from their nest.

Thanos was on the ground, overseeing the Chitauri as they divided the common people in preparation for the ‘Balancing’ for their population, the Ebony Maw had remained on the ground, at Thanos side, giving his customary speech to the people before half their population was slaughtered.

This left the rest of the Black Order engaged the planets defences and armies. Cull Obsidian had been sent into the caverns to rip apart their hidden forces within, leaving Corvus Glaive and Proxima Midnight to fight on the open ground. Proxima left sprays of water in her wake as she back-flipped, kicking her opponent hard enough to snap his neck; she flipped once more and caught her spear, which she had launched at a small group of snipers in the higher parts of the cliffs.

“Their weapons are laughable primitive, my love, are we almost done here?” she called to Corvus.

An enemy foot soldier writhed against the blade of the Generals glaive which was embedding in his chest cavity. Corvus wretched his weapon free and slashed the soldier’s throat with the smaller blade of his glaive, the Dreadlord chuckled at Proxima’s observation

“I shall request a more challenging mission from our master next time, my Midnight!” he replied, ducking a blow from a larger soldier.

Corvus kicked out, knocking his opponents legs out from under them and grabbed the soldier’s throat, slamming their head down into the ground. He stayed down as Proxima rolled over his back to kick away another solider away before he could attack Corvus; she brought her spear down through the soldiers flesh and intestines.

A second later, Cull Obsidian burst through the cliff face, the bodies of several soldiers clutched in both hands. Corvus threw a screaming foot soldier over the waterfall
“Proxima, now!”

Whipping her head in the direction of the gaping hole created by Cull Obsidian, she waited a split second for her brother-by-law to get clear before shooting a blast of blue and white energy at the cliff.

The remaining forces that had attempted to follow Obsidian were crushed in the ensuing landslide. As Corvus cut down a pair of soldiers, a third approached from behind with a blaster, before he could strike however, Proxima landed in a crouch, putting herself between Corvus and the soldier, knocking him back with a powerful blast from her spear.

Having finished with the pair of soldiers before him Corvus turned, grinning proudly as Proxima got to her feet and turned to face him, offering him a smirk in response, then it happened, Proxima screamed in pain from the jarring impact in her side, and the searing pain that followed made her fall to one knee, clutching her side, just under the open folds of the tear in her suit, which had become thick with blood.

Corvus, seeing the soldier she had struck down had managed to fire a single shot from his blaster, rage ignited in Corvus’ veins and the glaive wielder rushed past his wife, dicing up the soldiers’ carcass like a cut of meat. Cull approached Proxima but Corvus was the first to reach her, she winced but waved off his concern

“It’s a graze, I’m alright” she hssed through her teeth, in pain despite her words, she used her spear to support some of her weight as she forced herself to stand.
Corvus remained insistent however
“Let me see anyway, if its sever enough you’re going to the med bay” Corvus told her.

Proxima rolled her eyes but moved her hand and allowed her husband to inspect her wound, and only seeing for himself would ease his concern.

Corvus peeled back the folds of the rip in her suit, blood making to stick to her skin as he did so, he found that the blaster had taken a chunk of flesh from her side, about an inch long and the smell of burnt flesh made Corvus want to gag, though, the jagged edges of the open wound that had been burnt.
Corvus made a displeased sound at the sight

“Cull, carry Proxima to the ground.” He continued when Proxima tried to protest

“You can’t climb in this state Proxima” he said sternly

“When we get to the bottom go back to the Sanctuary, Cull, you and I will return to Thanos and explain, the Chitauri will have carried out the cleansing by now so all four of us will not be needed” he stated efficiently.

Proxima decided she was in too much pain to protest and that returning to the Sanctuary to take care of her wounds wouldn’t be the worst idea.

Corvus entered their chambers around 15 minutes after Proxima. He found her in the washroom, wearing only her underwear and strapless bra, the counter holding the sink was littered with bloodied rags. Now that the wound was clean and no longer bleeding, the burnt flesh surrounding it had been removed it was clear she wasn’t going to need stitches so a visit to the medical bay would not be necessary.

Corvus hovered in the doorway, watching his wife. The wound had stopped bleeding at least, and Proxima smeared the charred flesh surrounding the wound with healing gel. She let her eyes dart in his direction for a moment, acknowledging his presence before turning her attention back to her task as she finished dressing the wound with a bandage edged with adhesive to keep the dressing in place. Corvus exhaled sharply, eyeing the bloodied rags and smears of blue in the sink.

Proxima started collecting the soiled rags and throwing them away

“Please don’t start, Corvus.” she muttered

Reluctant to engage in the conversation, she distracted herself by focusing on wiping down on the sink and counter top in front of her, removing any traces of her blood.

“It’s done now, I’m fine.” she insisted.

Proxima continued cleaning the counter and scrubbing blood from the sink, however as steam started to rise from the water, and Proxima didn’t seem to care or notice, Corvus moved forward, tugging her hand from under the stream of scalding water, his thumb brushed her knuckles, which were now tinged with blue as her blood was drawn to the surface of her skin from the heat.

Giving him a tight smile, Proxima pulled her hand from his and moved past him to return to the bedroom, hoping Corvus would drop the subject, to no avail because he followed quickly

“You put yourself in harms’ way for no reason…” he insisted

Proxima turned to face him

“As you have done for me more times than I can count, was it so wrong of me do the same just once?” she demanded.

Removing her bra, she picked up the off-white t-shirt from the end of the bed, wincing as the action pulled at her wound, Corvus shook his head slightly, watching as she pulled on her shirt, painfully slow, and more careful than he’d ever seen her

“I am immortal, had it been me that wound would have healed by now and you would not be struggling to simply change your clothes!” he answered
Proxima huffed in irritation

“And you cannot stand to see your wife weakened, is that it?” she retorted

She pulled down the hem of her shirt, the fabric looser and more comfortable than the now torn battle suit she’d discarded.
Corvus straightened

“You know It is not seeing you weakened that I cannot stand, it is seeing you harmed; it only serves to remind me how easily I could lose you, that’s what I cannot stand” he growled

Proxima felt a stab of guilt plunge into her chest. It had been a cheap shot on her part, to imply that his protectiveness was out of anything other than concern for her welfare when she knew that wasn’t the case.
“You think me seeing you injured is any easier for me?” she demanded, lowering her voice, reining in her agitation

“You assume that I do not mourn when you die, even though I know you will come back? That seeing you injured doesn’t bring me the same fear and concern even though I know you will heal?”

He didn’t assume this. he knew she became…irate, restless when he was gone; often having to be excused from duties because she became too unpredictable when unable to remain in close proximity the weapon which would ensure his regeneration. In this Thanos was unusually lenient, but perhaps he tired of having the Sanctuaries servants, engineers, navigators and several of his Chitauri being slaughtered because they had unwillingly invoked the wrath of Proxima Midnight.

Without taking her gaze from him she placed a hand just beneath the concealed wound and took a step towards him
“You’re everything to me” she declared, pretending that her voice didn’t waver as she spoke
“how do I know that the next time you die will be the last, that that”

She pointed to his glaive which Corvus had leant against his desk

“…will not fail and you will leave me forever?”

Her features remained stoic, but her voice betrayed her, cracking and breaking with emotion, Corvus lowered his gaze as he took in her words but she continued before he could answer

“I didn’t think.” She admitted, wrapping her arms around herself

“All I knew was that my husband could have been injured and that I could stop that from happening” she added firmly.

Her eyes stung, unshed tears creating a watery shimmer in her amber eyes, making them look like liquid fire.

Corvus sighed, shoulders slumped in defeat.

His wife was away so strong, often stoic, her emotions unreadable had it not been for her eyes, as Generals of Thanos they were required to be so, Proxima in particular had developed a strong sense of sadism he found extremely endearing but they were not machines, they were still flesh and blood, yes they were warriors, hardened by time and training.

But, for Corvus and Proxima in particular given the intensity of their relationship, they were still capable of emotion, fear no matter how concealed they kept it, and doubt.
Corvus walked towards her, taking her face in both hands to have her look at him

“Forgive me, my Midnight. I never meant to trivialize your concern for me, to make you feel it was not appreciated…” he promised

His claws scratched slightly behind her ears and Proxima felt herself start to relax, only Corvus knew these things, the simple touches that would sooth her, and she was glad that he did.
Corvus continued after a moment

“You remember the vows we spoke, when you married me?”

Proxima frowned, how could he think she would forget?

“I’m yours, as you’re mine, from this day till my final breath” she recalled sternly
Corvus nodded

“And after that…? When we were alone in our chambers, what did you swear?” he urged
Proxima swallowed

“T-that, should you die, I would guard your glaive, keep it safe in your absence until you returned” she answered

Corvus moved closer to her, his warmth radiating against her

“And how do you intend to do so if you are dead?” he demanded

Proximas’ gaze faltered, unable to deny the truth in his words: if she fell in battle, through death or injury, she would not be able to guard his glaive, if the glaive were damaged or broken…Corvus himself would die.

“Cull would-” Proxima started

Corvus nodded

“He would. But if I returned to find you gone I would fall on the glave myself and ensure I did not return. Do you understand what I’m saying?”

Proxima stared back at him, realization flooded her face. He needed her, as she needed him, he couldn't imagine living without her. She knew what he was saying. But she was stubborn to a fault

“I’ll not apologise for acting in my husband’s defence. Immortal or otherwise” she snapped

Corvus smirked, despite the uncharacteristic sheen that coated her gaze she still maintained that fiery stubbornness he loved about her

“I’d not insult you by asking such a thing, my Midnight, but I would have you keep your vow. So long as you guard the glaive…”

He nodded to his weapon once before regaining her attention

“Then you need not fear for my return. But I need you safe, I need you alive in order to do that”

Proxima felt her chest tighten at his words, realizing that he was correct, she offered him a small accepting smile

Corvus searched her face for a moment

“Hm?”

Proxima nodded, leaning her cheek into his palm and Corvus brought her close to kiss the dark skin of her forehead, his arms encircled her protectively. They stayed this way for almost a full minute, before his hold tightened out of reflex and she grunted softly and shifted against him

“Corvus, your hurting” she announced

Immediately he stepped back, dropping his hands to her waist, realizing he had momentarily, forgotten about her wound
“I apologise my love. Come, you should rest”

With a soft roll of her eyes she let him lead her to the bed

“it’s not so serious as that, a few days and it’ll be healed. It may not even scar” she added but did as she was asked

Once she was comfortable he joined her, curling his body around hers, ever wary of her injury, which he knew wouldn’t take long to heal.
Proxima thread her fingers through his

“You cannot fault me for wanting to protect the most important person in my life” she muttered
Corvus snorted in amusement

“My Midnight, I don’t believe I could fault you for anything, except perhaps your recklessness, or perhaps your blatant disregard for your own welfare-”

he gasped in discomfort but released an amused laugh as Proxima tugged his hand, bringing his body over hers

“Careful. I take criticism from no one, other than perhaps Thanos himself” she scoffed

Corvus shrugged

“It was not criticism, more…observation” he insisted

Proximas’ lips met his and she bit his lower lip in warning

“Then you are safe” she teased

Their disagreement forgotten, she let Corvus hold her while she rested, silently mulling over his words, feeling with remarkable potency, just how much they were reciprocated. she didn't know what she would do if he didn't return to her, she truly had no idea. and she never wanted to be forced to find out.

Chapter 53: DISCUSSION

Summary:

Something has been on Corvus' mind for a while now, Proxima is determined to find out what it is.

Chapter Text

Proxima had noticed her husband had seemed distracted of late but hadn’t pried. Not right away.

But when over a week had passed with him saying nothing to give Proxima any indication as to the reason for his distracted manner, she had enough and decided to confront him during rest hours. She stepped into their chambers, finding him sat on the end of the bed, leaning forward slightly with a steel hip-flask in his hand, while disappointed she remained calm

“You hardly ever drink” she commented without accusation

Corvus merely grunted in response and Proxima rolled her eyes; clearly it was going to be a long night.

Putting her spear to one side she moved to stand beside her husband, holding out her hand

“Give” she commanded rigidly and the flask was handed over.

Proxima took a deep drink from the flask before returning the cap and throwing it to one side. Corvus didn’t as much as blink as Proxima crossed her arms expectantly
“Well?” she demanded, waiting for his explanation.

When none came Proxima’s shoulders slumped and her arms fell to her sides

‘Oh it’s one of those moods” Proxima realized silently

Deciding she was going to have to change tactics she stepped away from her husband and began taking off her armor and when the bed creaked she spoke without facing him
“Don’t even think about it” she snapped,

She knew without looking that her husband was about to retrieve the flask she had thrown, normally he would have commented on her uncanny ability to predicted his actions without having to face him, instead he remained silent.

Proxima left her armour discarded on the floor, pushed the upper half of her suit down, trying the sleeves around her waist and crawled onto the bed behind Corvus.

Wrapping her arms around him so that her hands rested on his chest and her horn brushed his temple as she leant her chin on his shoulder she sighed

“Tell me”

This time her demand was softer, she felt him relax under her touch

“Talk to me, husband, you’ve been so distracted lately. You can tell me anything you know that”

Her two toned voice still carried a firm edge to it but at the same time it rang affectionate and loving to Corvus’ and he almost sighed in defeat, grasping Proxima’s wrist to bring the back of her hand to his mouth

“Apologies for my sullenness this night my lady” he grumbled.

Proxima gave a soft hum in his ear

“What has you in such a state my love? Surly it is not so serious” she asked

She let Corvus release her hand and tug her forward so that she sat beside him.

“The Maw presented me with a question and honestly, I’ve been mulling it over for weeks.” Corvus admitted

Proxima chuckled in disbelief

“It isn’t like you to allow the Maw into your head this way. What was this question that has you so distracted?” she encouraged, confused when Corvus avoided her gaze, drawing his fingers over the back of her scarred hand.

While he was less tense, less morose, it was clear his mind was distracted, so Corvus considered his answer for a moment

“It seems the Maw and Cull engaged in a conversation regarding a certain element of our union” he started, silently irritated with himself – when had he ever been unable to be anything less than straight forward when it came to engaging with Proxima?

The female narrowed her eyes lifting a hand to her husbands’ cheek, forcing him to look at her, silently urging him to continue which he did

“The Maw questioned whether you and I would ever…reproduce” he blurted out the last part hastily.

Proxima’s eyes widened and heat rose in the back of her neck, suddenly feeling the urge to collect the damaged flask from the floor and finish its contents herself.

“Why on earth would that be of any interest to the Maw?” she questioned defensively.

The look Corvus gave her told her why. It was well known within the order that Ebony Maw had the ear of Lord Thanos, to wheedle out any hint of treachery or faltering loyalties.

“And what answer did you give The Maw?” she questioned firmly.

Corvus shifted but spoke truthfully

“That it was not something either of us had considered, Hell I don’t think either of us have ever brought it up” he said

Without looking down at their know entwined hands he let his thumb move up to a certain spot on the inside of Proxima’s wrist, feeling the tiny node where her implant device was located that prevented pregnancy and certain intimately passed diseases.

Proxima placed her hand over her husbands who was still grasping her other wrist

“I had no idea you wished to discuss the matter” she admitted, her guarded tone giving away her mild discomfort.
Corvus shifted

“Proxima I admit, the Maws’ question made me realize that between the Order, and serving the masters purpose, it never occurred to me to even ask what you wanted.” he revealed.

While the life they had chosen was hardly a stable one, there was somewhat of a routine to their day to day duties and activities that often made the days blend into each-other, having this very discussion hadn’t even entered his mind.

At that moment Proxima was unable to hold it anymore, a burst of laughter escaped her; it was rare for her to show such jovial emotion beyond a light chuckle, now though her shoulders quacked as she laughed out loud.

She leant her forehead on Corvus shoulder while he looked down at her as if she’d gone mad – he’d been agonizing over this for days and she was laughing!

 

Proxima calmed herself and exhaled

“I do not mean to laugh my love” she chuckled

“But you have no need to worry, I am happy just as we are” she assured.

Corvus did not look convinced

“Proxima, if it is something you want then I’m certain with Thanos’ permission-” he started

Only for Proxima to press two fingers to his mouth to silence him, suddenly serious once more

“Corvus, in all honesty…I do not think I am the maternal sort. And I do not think that will ever change in our lifetime” she told him
Corvus took her wrist, his eyes searching hers

“But…what about…”

He knew he should not bring it up; she hardly spoke of it if she could help it and in fact, Proxima couldn’t remember the last time it had been spoken about, but Proxima now realized that, due to the conversation, and it was in fact unavoidable.

At barely sixteen cycles old, Proxima was struggling with her first heat cycle; the male Rheanarian had been a convenient source of release who demanded nothing of her.

Once she realized her mistake, it was too late. For years Proxima had often wondered if the events that followed where her punishment for her careless and selfish actions.

She had miscarried, what she assumed would have been her daughter had it lived long enough, her son. She’d been given just three months with him.

One morning she had woken to her constantly restless son to be still and silent, having simply stopped breathing and passing away in then night. She had made sure to at least bury him before leaving Rheanys Five for good later the next night.

In the present, Proximas’ shoulders slumped, her previous expression of amusement hardened

“That was a long time ago, Corvus” she insisted

“Perhaps if they’d lived, my son at least, I would feel differently but that is a pointless notion because if he had live I would most likely never have left my home planet, and never been sold to the
Grandmaster…and I never would have met you”

She added the final part of her sentence softly, raising a hand to his cheek

“I’m not the same person I was all that time ago, my getting pregnant was a mistake, I’ve never denied the truth in that because it should never have happened – and I paid for it.” she sighed

Corvus attempted to dispute her assumption but she cut him off

“Corvus, I don’t believe I shall ever wish to bear children again.”

Her voice was quiet but as clear as bell to her husband who watched her face intently and suddenly Proxima found that she was the one concerned

“Does this…alter things?” she asked but before she could become too panicked Corvus had taken her face in his hands
“Never” he growled possessively

Proxima continued

“Do not think it is because of you, I would say this to anyone I was with…it’s simple a fact that this is what I feel.” She insisted
Corvus shook his head

“I would not think so lowly of you, to think so supercilious! If that is what you desire we will stay as we are – for as long as we live if that is what you wish” he vowed
His thumb stroked her cheek

“I only ever wish to give you what you want” he added.

Proxima chuckled softly

“How could I want anything else, my love? When I have you?” she stated, Corvus gave quiet growl, pressing his forehead to hers, both their concerns now erased.

Chapter 54: JUST ONCE

Summary:

Very random, very self indulgent, but as in character as I could manage. Proxima is forced to make a compromise concerning her newly acquired slave - Kaldera when an Asteroid storm causes Kaldera, to act out.

Chapter Text

The Sanctuary had all but come to a stop after being forced to make a detour through an asteroid belt, luckily the large chunks of rock and debris floated far enough apart to allow the large warship to move through undamaged, but it would take hours at the speed they were traveling at. Every so often two or more asteroid pieces would collide, creating an almost ear-shattering rumble, much like a thick thunder storm, only 20 times worse.

Proxima groaned and turned over in bed: the shrill, relentless chirp of her communication band having woken her from a restful sleep. Ignoring her husbands’ echoing growl of displeasure, she picked up the device from the table next to her side of the bed, and sat up slightly, while pushing her tangled blue hair back from her face

What?” she snapped, they never contacted her, certainly not during rest hours, unless it was particularly urgent.

“S-sorry Miss Proxima, I- it’s Kaldera, she’s-yipe!”

She recognised the voice immediately, it was one of the vole like creatures that worked in the lowest level of the Sanctuary: the slaughter deck. This male individuals’ voice was high and panicked, and in the background of the message, Proxima could hear screams and other such commotion

Even upon hearing an energy blast erupting from the other end of call,, Proxima didn’t react

“Whatever she’s done, you deal with it, it is your job after all” Proxima retorted

/crash/

The stout, jumpy creature whimpered

“Y-Yes I know, it’s just-agh!”

There was another energy blast punctuated by a scream from Kaldera.

The caretaker from the slaughter deck went on

“She, Kaldera, she is...inconsolable, the asteroids are making her- shes’ taken down three caretakers and injured five more! P-please Miss Proxima, any more damage to the slaughter deck and it shall take weeks to repair!”

Proxima snarled in annoyance

“Fine, but if I get down there and I determine the issue trivial and the damage minimal at most you’ll wish I’d left you to deal with her yourself!”

With that Proxima ended the call and tossed her communication band onto the table beside her bed, lying back heavily with an exhausted sigh.

Corvus shifted beside her

“What did the runt do this time?” he asked irritably

He’d never liked the little brat, ever since she’d torn out his thorax during a training session; it had taken 30 hours for his voice to return to normal!

Proxima sat up and swung her legs over the side of the bed

“I’m going to find out, it has something to do with the asteroid field” she stated

While she collected her clothes and started to dress, Corvus lifted his head from his pillow, giving his wife an odd look which she waved off

“I know. I won’t be long” she insisted, picking up her sword on the way out.

Kaldera had been Proximas’ for just over a year: a gift from Corvus, which he had obtained from the collector. Kaldera had shown promise in combat despite being only 8 cycles old, her real strength, as with most of her people before their extinction, was hunting, hence why Kaldera remained on the slaughter decks, she would join the lower workers in hunting when beasts for the Sanctuary 2’s slaughter decks where needed.

Proxima was confident that in just a few more years Kaldera would be ready to lead her own hunting party.

Proxima herself in fact, indulged in a hunt whenever possible should the mood strike her, she’d planned to take Kaldera at the next opportunity as a reward for behaviour and progress in her training. The Black Order General was now reconsidering this luxury however. She was tired, irritable and wished to return to the warmth of her bed, and her husbands’ side, as soon as possible.

A blast of energy from one of Kalderas’ pistols shot through the door, making Proxima pause a moment, she remained expressionless however as she kicked open the damaged door, sending several slaughter-deck workers scurrying and provoke a series of lows and grunts from the penned beasts awaiting their fate.

From the furthest, largest pen which stretched from one side of the deck to the other, the male that had contacted Proxima half-abled half ran past the gate-posts.

A second later, a red and tan blur followed: Kaldera, brandishing a large hunting blade and screaming murderously. There was a squeal and a splatter mauve blood splashed across the floor in front of the door.

Proxima wondered if the caretakers panic had been somewhat justified. But then, Proxima rationalised, Kaldera, needed the practise.

Taking large steady steps towards the pen, Proxima ignored the snorts and bellows of the creatures she passed, upon reaching Kalderas’ enclosure Proxima paused once again just as Kaldera landed several feet in front of her in a low crouch, the blood-stained hunting knife in hand, panting from excursion.

Questo è sufficiente! (That is enough)”Proxima snapped in Rhynearian

Slowly Kaldera stood but didn’t turn to face her, that was when Proxima noticed Kaleras’ hands shaking, as her bright red tail flicked and swished in a way Proxima was, as of yet, unfamilliar.

“Kaldera, Spiegati! (Explain)”

The young girl dropped the knife, curling her quivering hand into a fist

“Told them to make it stop, they wouldn’t listen” she said

Proxima frowned

“Make what stop?” she demanded

At that moment a series of bangs sounded from outside the ship: more shards of debris colliding, several slightly quieter thuds meant that some splintered fracments ofrock had hit the almost indestructable outer layer of the vessel.

That was all it took to make Kaldera flinch violantly, clamping her hands over her ears so hard it might have looked painful had Proxima taken more notice, instead she crossed her arms

“We’re passing through an asteroid field, child, the sounds are natural. You mean to tell me this is the cause of your tantrum? The caretakers can hardly steer the ship through the field themselves nor force the asteroids to pass over us.” she pointed out, she so hated stating the obvious.

More deafening thuds were accompanied by a sharp whine from the back of Kalderas’ throat, who dug her nails into the sides of her head in her desperation to block out the noise

“Too loud!” she screamed in fright, falling to her knees on the thin layer of straw covering the floor

Proxima marched forward

“Kaldera, that’s enough, you’re too old to have such childish reactions to a bit of noise!”

She’d jus about had enough of this, so Proxima grasped Kalderas’ shoulder and spun her to face her so sharply that Kaldera fell onto her back side, and Proxima saw the sheer terror in Kalderas’ features, making her appearance far more child like than normal,t her fearful expression and vulnerable posture reminded Proxima exactly how young her charge still was.

A genuine, deep throated sob broke free from Kalderas’ throat

“Mistress, make it stop! I’ll be good, just make it stop!” she pleaded

Proximas’ own fingers trmbled at the pitiful cry.

The death cries of wounded, the final shrieks of those who dying on the battlefield, these Proxima knew not to fear for the dead can’t hurt you. The Lethal rain of blaster-fire, Proxima knew how to deal with, she was swift, agile, and deathly accrate when it came to weilding her spear against those that would harm her.

The pleads of the innocent she intended to slay, these didn’t bother her: they were necessary sacrifices to The Cause.

But Kalderas’ child-like fear, the way her tail unconsciously wrapped around her own, skinny ankle in an attempt to self-sooth as she bit down on  her lip while cringing against the noise,

Slowly Kaldera opened her eyes a fraction, watching the taller woman with watery mismatched eyes that suddenly seemed too large, too innocent looking for own face...

“Mistress, please..."

it stirred something within Proxima that she had long thought buried, if not abolished, by over a decade of death and violance. .

At 16 cycles, she’d comforted her own son through an asteroid storm without so much as wincing, focusing on the fear the tiny creature that shared her blood, with no twin to share in his fright or be comforted by the bond Rheanarians twins held between them, instead all he had was her, his mother, little more than a child herself, relying on her for strength and reassurance.

Proxima clenched for a split second, the unwelcome memory was from a life that seemed so far in the past, it might as well not have been hers

Another thunderous crash of asteroids made Kaldera flinch, and  the child's features flashed to that of Proxims’ own, grey skinned, two month old cradling in the crook of her adolesant arms, wailing against the sound of rock fragments pummbling the roof of their cold, attic room the two of them called home.

Asteroid storms were uncommon on Rheanys 5, large chunks of space debris would drift into the atmosphere, some would crash into the ground, making it shake, others would collide and shatter sending down a hail of small, sharp rock fragments hammering down noisily on the roof of their home, as the ones outside the Sanctuary did now, making Proxima and her now deceased twin brother cling to each other in a quaking hundle for comfort until one of their parents or older siblings came to reassure them.

But with age and the destruction of her innocance reguarding the true horrors the Universe held, Proximas’ childhood fear disappeared, she’d hardly flinched the night she’d comforted her son through the seemingly never ending astroid storm.

Unseen by Kaldera, Proxima blinked furiously, needing the recollection to retreat to the far reaches of her memory where it belonged.

Proxima glanced around Kalderas’ pen, bodies were strewn about the blood-stained floor, the beast Kaldera had chosen to sleep in lay barely alive with its’ abdomen split open, apparently even the thick skin if the beasts hide had failed to offer Kaldera any protection from the noise. It was, Proxima noted, far louder down in the belly of the ship than the upper levels were the Black Orders chambers were located,

A handful of Caretakers cowered by the doorframe, nervously waiting for Kaldera to lose her temper again, they, including the male to have called on Proxima in the first place, jumped and shrank back as Proxima turned on them sharply

“I want this pen repaired and cleaned up by the time rest hours are over!” She ordered

The caretakers scrambled to obey but Proxima ignored them, instead going to Kaldera and taking her wrist to pull her hand away from her ear firmly, despite the young girls defiance.

Proxima tugged a bewlidered Kaldera out of the pen, not stopping even when the hetrochromic eyed child tripped, unable to unwrap her tail from her leg in time.

Shaking the pointed apendage free, Kaldera trotted on cloven feet to keep up as Proxima pulled her by the wrist, like pulling a dog on a leash, but so long as she could be away from the noise Kaldera new better than to make any sort of smart remark as she normaly would. Her fear overridding her usual off hand, taciturn nature.

Proxima lead her slave through the corridores of the Sanctuary, part of her wondering what in all the universe she was even doing, deep down she wanted to take Kaldera straight back to her pen and leave her there: facing your fears was the best way to extinquish them after all. But that would mean openly admiting to herself that that she was nothing but a hypocrit.

She still had fears, ones that caused the same reaction in her as the colliding asteroids did in Kaldera.

Losing Corvus, for his glaive to fail to return him to her was at the top of her list.

Falling from great heights a near sesecondA d, after the 'accident, fire and open flames tended to set her on edge.

Yet, as a hardened warrior, she kept her personal fears so close to her chest, so well hidden that only Corvus had ever witnessed her in that state of genuine, emotional exosure and panic.

Corvus. How was she meant to explain this? She wondered.

When they were close to reaching the closed doors of her chambers, Proxima stopped, pulling Kaldera infront of her to face her, or rather she would have had the youngster not been pouting tiredly at her own feet, tail swaying nervously

Proxima dropped Kalderas’ wrist

“This is just for tonight, i won’t put up with this again, you’re only hear because if you slaughter every care-taker on the slaughter deck it will fall to me to replace them as well as clear up the disastar you left down there. You’re lucky i’m not telling the care-takers to leave it for you to repair yourself, but I am far too tired to contradict them now.”

Kaldera nodded without looking up, Proxima decided to let her lack of eye contact be excused as well, she simply wanted to get back to bed.

Pressing her hand to the control panel to open the doors, Proxima led the subdued Kaldera inside

“Are awake my love?” Proxima spoke into the darkness of their chambers

There was some rustling of thin bedsheets and Corvus, ever the light sleeper, woke immediately  at his wifes voice.

Proxima slid her palm over the half-domed light embedded into the wall beside the bed, illuminating the room in a dim, warm light, and clarifying the figure of Corvus

“What did that pain in rear do this time? I hope you punished her fittingly-”

Corvus disgruntled remark was cut off as his gaze settled on the unexpected third occuent of the room. His eyes flared in the gloom for a moment before the glaive weilder blinked several times, perhaps to ensure he was not dreaming though that was a nerological rarity for Corvus’ species

“Proxima...?” he grumbled, but already he knew he wasn’t going like whateverexplanation  she offered.

There was a dull thud of asteroids colliding and the patter of rock fragments hitting the side of the ship, hard, causing Kaldera to wince and whine, clenching her fists fitfully.

Proxima looked to her husband

“it was either this or let her completly decimate the slaughter deck and leave me responsible for its repair and re-staffing.”

Corvus’ wrinkled brow furrowed in displeasure

“So having her destroy our chambers and keep us awake is preferable?” he quipped

Proxima rolled her eyes, which were growing sore from her disturbed rest and need for her alloted hours of rest her body required

“She isn’t going to, she’s going to sleep through rest hours without a sound, and as soon as the damage has been repaired she is going back”

She glaired at her charge

Non e Vero, (Isn’t that right)?”

The youngster nodded emphaticaly

“Just once, just this time” she mumbled through chewing the tips of her fingers, offering the smallest glimps of her growing, fang-like canine teeth.

Corvus grunted, with his hand hitting the mattress with a dull thud as he conceding defeat, earning him a loving look from Proxima, it didn’t last as she turned back to Kaldera and snapped her fingers, pointing to the floor next to her side of the bed.

Her shoulders slumped but Kaldera didn’t argue, lest she be sent back to her pen. Proxima did at least take the spare blanket from the end of the bed and throw it to the floor where she had instructed her to sleep.

 Kaldera  spread out the blanket, turned in several circles before slumping down with her arms crossed under her head, lower body twisted with her legs tucked close to her body, much like lying in a half fetal position.

Proxima rolled her eyes half heartedly, turned the light back off, and undressed before crawling back into bed.

Seconds later she felt Corvus bring her body close to his, the comfotable weight of his hand on her lower belly and the warmth of his flesh easing the chill she’ gotten from walking Sanctuarys’ corridores told her she was, at least for now, forgiven.

After just a few minietes, however, several asteroids collided outside the ship, muffled by its thick walls but enough to cause Kaldera to jump from her half asleep state, she was relieved to find the ateriod collisions quieter here than down in the slaughter deck, but her anxiety remained.

She fought it for as long as possible before giving in, not caring for the consequences.

The 8 year old stood, as silently as possible and padded to her mistresses' side, tugging the corner of the bedsheets until she stirred

Proxima frowned but didn’t open her eyes

“Go. To sleep. Or you’ll go back to the slaughter deck” she snarled through her teeth

Opening her eyes she could see Kaldera, her eyes darting to the foot of the bed

“Mistress...” she whimpered, despite her wish to sound less afraid than she really was.

Proxima groaned softly

“Fine, if you must. Just go to sleep

Kalderas’ eyes widened in surprise yet  she wasted no time in scrambling onto the bed, curling at Proximas’ feet.

Moments later Kaldera felt a sudden warmth cover her as Proxima dropped the blanket that had been abadoned on he floor over her small body.

Seconds after, as Proxima fell asleep she heard Corvus address Kaldera

“move a single inch and you’ll put in the air lock and flushed into space to join the asteroids.”

--

Proxima woke, the events of the last few hours came back instantly. She also realized that the Sanctuary must have been almost clear of the asteroid field because the thuds that were heard seemed far quieter than previously.

Streatching her arm and holding the bed-sheet to her bare chest she leant up, looking down at the still sleeping Kaldera with the intent of kicking her back to the floor, only for Proxima to pause at the last moment.

Kaldera scrunched her face and snorted softly but didn’t wake, quickly relaxing once more, she was also sucking the pointed fork of her tail, as a child would suck its’ thumb, while resting her head against Proximas’ foot.

With another two hours until alarm calls sounded, Proxima settled back down against her pillow with her husbands hand on her hip, and fell back to sleep – without kicking Kaldera away. Not hard enough to wake her anyway, just enough to put some space between her and Proximas’ foot.

Chapter 55: WHAT IF...

Summary:

A.U/What If chapter were the Black Order - or most of them - turn on Thanos during Infinity Wars

Chapter Text

Steve Rogers heaved Corvus Glaives weapon up in defence against the attack launched at him by Proxima Midnight, her spear and her husbands’ glaive creaked and groaned in protest, a flicker of hesitation passed through the females’ furious amber eyes, not wanting the glaive destroyed by her hand, Proxima let up ever so slightly – and it cost her. The spear was broken in two and Sam Wilson, in full Falcon armour, soared down and kicked the female to the ground.

Falcon drew a gun from both sides as Proxima fell into a backwards roll before scrambling on hands and knees to her fallen partner, putting herself between his body and their enemies,

Seeing that they were outnumbered with multiple foreign weapons drawn on them, Proxima flinched, putting her hands to Corvus’ chest in concern

“Get up!” her voice wavered despite her attempt to remain firm

‘I can’t do this without you’ she thought

Corvus groaned, clearly in pain after Natasha had practically eviscerated him with Proxima’s spear.

“-Can’t” he rasped, growling as he clutched at the three wounds piercing his side

Proximas’ hands fluttered one of his, seeing the blood, oil-like in its consistency, was seeping through his fingers

She opened her mouth to reply when Natasha interrupted

“We don’t want to kill you, but we will.” She warned stoically.

Proxima spun to face her, involuntarily shifting closer to her husband

“If we fail to deliver the stone to Thanos he will do so before you have the chance!”

Wanda helped a wounded Vision over to join the group of rogue Avengers as Sam adjusted the grip on his guns, keeping them aimed steadily at the pair of alien creatures

“And who the hell is Thanos?” he demanded

Steve, still holding Corvus’ glaive, added

“And what does he want with the Mind Stone?”

The soldier felt wary, the anger in their opponent was gone, but replaced with something he had found could be even more deadly: Panic, desperation and barely concealed fear, Proxima had curled in on herself; a cornered animal in need of escape: a desperate animal was the most unpredictable, the most dangerous.

She narrowed her eyes

“Are you…Avengers, Defenders of Tera? Who pushed back the Chitauri forces six cycles ago?” she questioned without responding to Sams’ questions.

Natasha frowned, correctly assuming that by ‘cycle’ the strange being meant ‘years’

“Guess we’re famous on a Universal level not just global” Natasha quipped, glancing at her companions before returning her gaze Vision and Wandas’ attackers

“Why do you want to know?” She demanded

Proxima inhaled nervously, glancing down at her husband, who was barely conscious by this point, but still managed to take her wrist and squeeze it in reassurance, Proxima met his gaze for a moment before turning back to the group of humans

“He doesn’t just want the Mind Stone” she admitted.

The rogue Avengers glanced at each-others with varying degrees of concern, only for Corvus to suddenly snarl, startling the Avengers who tensed, poised for an attack, but Proxima turned to him, feeling him arch against the pain of being gutted with her spear. She looked from her fallen partner to the group of humans, they didn’t look like much, rather ragged ad not all that strong, but they had just beaten two of Thanos’ best fighters with little effort, and if she was correct and they where the same Terrans to prevent Thanos’ attack six years ago, they were the only ones to have the power to help them

“Let him heal, don’t allow him to die, and we will tell whatever you wish to know” her tone became hushed, even shamed, years of servitude to their master, severed.

Finally

Thanos’ pair of subordinates were taken aboard the Quinn Jet – without protest and without struggle. Proxima supported her half-conscious husband until she was allowed to deposit him into a couch set against the wall of the ship, and kneel at his side

“My husbands’ weapon, where is it?” she demanded, trying hard not to sound as desperate as she felt.

Sam, looked over cautiously, still holding one of his guns at his side

“What, so you can skewer us with it?” he asked flippantly

Proxima wanted to retort, but kept her temper in check. She needed these Terrans to trust her and insulting them with a biting comment wouldn’t help.

“It provides him with the ability to heal, even from the most sever, life threatening wounds…he just needs it close, so that these will heal more rapidly” she explained, looking up from where she had been trying to inspect the wounds from the holes torn in his suit.

Sam turned to Steve

“Man, I do not trust these guys, I mean, why the hell would they try to rip the Mind stone out of Vision then suddenly tell us everything their evil boss is planning? They could be waiting for us to let our guard down and then kill us all and take the stone anyway!”

Natasha, who had been giving Wanda and Vision a lecture on their change of plan; they’d stayed in Edinburgh longer than planned and thus been ambushed, the dyed blond human turned to Steve

“He’s got a point.”

They all knew it could very well be a trap, like Sam had said. But on the other hand, if Thanos was really as bad as the female alien had implied, they had to stop him from obtaining the Stones at any cost. Steve approached and Proxima looked up, her body language defensive but Steve glanced at the glaive in his hand

“You tell us everything you can about Thanos and his plans. You tell us how we can stop him” he ordered

Proxima nodded, eyes darting to her husbands’ weapon

“You have my word…and my husbands. No harm will come to you or any of those that you consider allies, not by our hands” she vowed.

Her fingers twitch as she fought against the desire to snatch the weapon from the stranger’s hand. She’d promised Corvus that, upon his death or sever injury, that she would protect his glaive, which granted his conditional immortality, with her life if she had to, and now a stranger, capable of striking them down in a second should he feel so inclined, was holding it. Steve slowly offered the weapon to Proxima, who took it from him with an equal amount of caution, meeting his eyes gratefully before setting the glaive on the floor between herself and the couch. Corvus suddenly arched, choking on the thick black blood that filled his lungs.

Proxima instinctively shifted closer; covering his hand with one of her own while the other went to his cheek in the hope of offering him some re-assurance.

“You’re alright. I have it, I have you, my love, it’s alright” she soothed.

“Don’t go…” she struggled

Too late. Corvus’ chest stilled as he stopped breathing. Proxima made a distressed sound as she hung her head, so that her navy hair hung either side of her face. Natasha, Vision, Sam and Wanda had moved closer, looking on in morbid interest

“Didn’t you say that that thing stops him from dying?” Natasha questioned.

Proxima reluctantly got to her feet

“It does not prevent death, but so long as the glaive is intact he will return. He just needs to heal.” She explained tensely.

She turned to the Terrans before her, finding herself to be, easily, the tallest of the group. She held out her arm, palm facing the ceiling, and from the gold coloured gauntlet covering her forearm from wrist to elbow, she drew a sword, but as the rogue Avengers once again braced themselves for a fight, she took the weapon and dropped it at the feet of her enemies.

“Thanos wants to bring balance to Universe. Most of his life has been dedicated to that one single goal, even before I was brought to serve him: he has been killing half of a planets population, leaving more resources, more food, water...for those that are left.”

Natasha frowned in disagreement

“Whoever is left only survive through the slaughter of the rest of their people?” she spat venomously.

Proxima had no immediate response, but continued after some hesitation

“But over the years Thanos has become more and more delusional. Obsessed with seeking out the Infinity Stones, the Mind Stone is just one of six, by possessing all of the Stones Thanos would be able to balance the entire Universe at once. Like that-”

Proxima snapped her fingers  

“Half of the Universes entire population…gone” She added

Sam exhaled sharply

“Jesus” he cursed

Proxima went on to explain that there were two others sent to Earth to recover an Infinity Stone. They had been recruited by Thanos over the years and Thanos had named them his ‘Children’ but they were better known through the universe as his Generals: The Black Order. Chosen because Thanos had seen something inside each of them that he could mould into weapons at his disposal, over the years they had become little more than tools for Thanos to use in order to get what he wanted.

“We are to meet him on Titan once we have obtained the Stones.” Proxima admitted.

She saw the looks of mistrust and uncertainty in the humans faces, they had the right to, she supposed, since she had almost killed more than one of them just a few minutes ago

“It is your choice whether you believe me or not. But whatever we may have done in the past, my husband and I do not wish death on half the entire universe, as I’ve already stated we serve Thanos now only out of fear, and a lack of alternative options.” she insisted.

It was Steve who responded, still coming to terms with what they had just been told

“And these others, your…adoptive siblings…they share the same feeling towards Thanos as the two of you?” he questioned

It was Corvus who responded, having healed and woken from his brief absence, with a pained grunt he pushed himself up, leaning on his elbows as support

“Undoubtedly” He stated in a strained tone

Proxima, relieved to see him alive and healed once more, darted across to kneel at his side; she quickly took his hand and leant in, with Corvus doing the same, pressing their foreheads together as he offered his partner a series of comforting clicking sounds. The rogue Avengers were surprised as they watched the exchange, which remained brief as Proxima and Corvus looked up at the Avengers

Corvus continued

“Only one other is as discontent with Thanos’ growing megalomania as Proxima and myself. My brother, the only one I have, by blood.” He added, only to be interrupted by the sharp vibrations of his communication band thrumming against his wrist

Unlocking the voice-only message, Corvus frowned in confusion

“Cull.”

                                                                                                               X

Corvus’ brother, Cull Obsidian was picked up from somewhere in the middle of the Arctic, he explained grimly that the fourth member of the Black Order, the Ebony Maw, had captured Dr Strange, the keeper of the Time stone and was already on course for Titan, having no desire to betray their master. But with the warning from Proxima Midnight and Corvus Glaive of the threat Thanos posed, the rogue Avengers journeyed to Wakanda, in the hope of removing the Mind stone from Vision without killing him, thus making the stone easy to protect, even destroy if they had to. However, Shuri had barely started the process when a horde of ships entered the atmosphere: Thanos’ forces.

The Avengers rallied in preparation, joined by T’Challa and the Dora Millaje, M’Baku and his tribe, and the three former members of the Thanos’ Black Order

Proxima Midnight, wielded a sword that had been concealed in the gauntlet covering her left arm, her spear having been broken, and the pieces abandoned I Scotland, somewhat missing the feel of her reliable spear in hand she adjusted her grip on the weapon.

Corvus, now back to full health, stood at his wife’s side with his namesake weapon in hand, and Cull Obsidian now sporting a prosthetic arm, clutching a large metal axe at the end of a retractable chain.

Steve glanced at their new allies, as did Natasha who addressed them sternly

“If this ends up being a trap, if you try to turn on us, we will kill you guys” she warned

Corvus and Proxima looked down the line of Avengers to the Black Widow as the former replied

“We would welcome death gladly if we are forced to serve the Mad Titan for a single day longer” he said flatly.

Proxima didn’t object and Cull, who had been watching the tree line, spoke in language apparently only Corvus and Proxima knew, the blue haired female translated for their human companions quickly

“Thanos, coming through the tree-line”

Sure enough, the Mad Titan stepped out from the dense forest on the opposite side of the battle field

“Your technology is strong I hope” Corvus addressed T’Challa who faced him

“He’ll not break through the barrier” he reassured

Proxima was the first to spot to other figure flanking the Titan as he neared the protective forcefeild that surrounded the Wakandan palace

“He’s not alone” she spoke without surprise

Ebony Maw levitated at Thanos right side, remaining a respectful distance behind. Thanos stopped just outside the force-field; saddened and angered by the clear betrayal of three of his subordinates he curled his gauntleted hand into a fist. Five out of Six Infinity Stones glinted in the Wakandan sunlight.

Ebony Maw floated to Thanos side, not taking his gaze from where his former Black Order Generals stood in line with his masters enemies

“Sire, your Children have betrayed you” he stated easily

Thanos did not spare him a glance

“So I see, worry not Maw, soon enough they will see that their disloyalty, their resistance will amount to nothing. This day has extracted a heavy toll, and once the universe is brought to balance, from those who have renounced their loyalty to me to most loyal to me cannot be spared.”

Thanos had already lost his favoured daughter, Gamora; in his mind he had no reason to let his heart grow heavy with the loss of his Generals. Carriers where dropped into the atmosphere, landing in the wooded area behind Thanos, Outriders, snarling and growling, scurried forward by the hundred, clawing and snapping at the force-field that separated them from their prey.

Raising his hand, Thanos activated the power stone, burning a large hole through the barrier that surrounded Wakanda as the opposing army stared in horror and shock as a large section of the barrier was melted away, streams of snarling, chittering creatures were unleashed on Wakanda: Outriders.

Proxima Midnight had warned the Orders new allies, but witnessing the hordes of blood-thirsty creatures scrambling towards on six limbs, jaws sporting rows of multiple, jagged teeth…the sight, in person, was still a shocking sight.

“Wakanda, forever!”  

T’Challa crossed his arms over his chest, encasing his body in his Black Panther body suit and, on his signal, every warrior in the Dora-Millaje, every Avenger, and Black Order member readied their weapons.

The large group of allies ran forward to meet the Outrider horde halfway, while Thanos and his single remaining follower stood back, waiting for the Outriders to pick off the opposing armies weakest members, and provide them with their best chance at success.

Chapter 56: EXCHANGE

Summary:

Corvus discovers something about Proxima she hoped to take to her grave

Chapter Text

Proxima shifted in her seat on the bed, spine digging into the headboard as she scanned the complex diagrams and photographs of ancient weaponry, most of which was unheard of to Proxima Midnight. She wondered if Corvus Glaive - to whom the book in fact belonged, had memorized every picture and description in the book she held.

She turned the page of Corvus’ book, which she she had picked up from the bedside table when the male had gone to the washroom to shower

She shifted again, her inner thighs still sticky with his seed, her body bare from the nights ‘stress fuck’ session.

‘How much longer is he going to be?” she wondered silently, narrowing her eyes as they scanned the box of dialogue on the page.

Just a few minutes later Corvus emerged,a towel tucked around his narrow waist

“All yours” he offered

Proxima made a sound of acknowledgment and when Corvus looked across to her from where he stood at the foot of the bed, he noticed that Proximas’ gaze was fixed on the book in her hands, a look of deep interest on her grey features, black brow furrowed slightly in concentration.

The corner of Corvus’ mouth twitched into a grin

“See anything you like?” 

Proxima looked to him, concealing the fact that she was panicking inside, turned the book for him to view the photograph she had been examining

“This one caught my attention that's' all, i wondered if it was still available, black markets and the like” she asked

To anyone else she’d have sounded normal, but Corvus picked up on the effort she was putting into sounding normal.

He glanced at  the book in her hands while pulling on a pair of loose black trousers

“Ah, a particularly cruel device - one Thanos once coveted for years” he commented

Proximas’ brow rose

“Once? Is it unavailable even in the black market trade?” she asked harmlessly

“Doubtful, it is no longer in production and the last surviving pieces of such a weapon disappeared years ago if my memory serves me correctly”

Proxima felt cold sweat gather at the nape of her neck

“Oh” she tried to sound as off hand as possible

“Find the name in the graph at the back of the book - it gives an index of each weapon identified and the dates of its production, current availability and the like” Corvus instructed simply.

Proxima swallowed and turned the book back to herself, feeling Corvus’ eyes on her, though his expression was neutral, his gaze felt like the heat of a sun against her 

She was silent for a few moments

“I...it’s....” she stared at the page and the flicking to the back

It all seemed to take a lot longer than necessary, and Corvus could feel the stress growing in Proximas’ posture

Corvus frowned

“Midnight?” he urged

She tensed, a few more seconds passed and she launched the book forward, where it landed, open, in the centre of the bed

“I can't, all right? I just...can’t” she snapped, crossing her bare legs and leaning forward with an aggressive glair

Corvus straightened, surprised by her sudden change in demeanor

“Are you saying...you didn’t learn?” he inquired cautiously

“I did in fact, our parents ensured to provide us the best education they were able” she pointed out, incensed

She hesitated

“But...let's’ just say certain events happened, that meant I completely lost interest and failed to pick it up again...then, on Sakkar, well, slave fighters had little need for a literacy education” she added, grabbing the bed sheets in both fists in front of her

 Corvus knew little of her past, of her life before ending up as a Sakkarian slave fighter where Thanos had found her. Though, he guessed she had had at least one sibling from the way she had spoken, both parents being alive and fairly knowledgeable to certain degree apparently

"I see" was all he said.

Proxima glared daggers into him

“Well? Get on with it” she demanded

Corvus frowned in confusion and other than adjust his posture, he waited until she repeated herself

“Get on with it. You've discovered a weakness of mine, that I, in fact, have the reading capacity of a child of nine cycles old?” she spat venomously

“Are you not going to Thanos, to share this knowledge with him, blackmail me for keeping my pathetic secret?” 

She’d expected far more, and far worse than just those two options, but Corvus was intelligent enough to create his own form of personal gain from the knowledge he had just gained.

Instead  Corvus stepped forward and picked up the book, glancing at the page

“Radiolaax 300 millilitre plasma blaster, went out of trade, even in the black market circles, about a decant ago, give or take two or three years.” 

He dropped the book by her ankle and Proxima looked up at him with suspicion

“What?”

Corvus gestured to the now closed book

“The one you were so interested in.” he offered, oddly polite and placid

“Oh” 

An awkward silence followed but once she began to relax, Corvus sat on the edge of the mattress cautiously, the only one aboard the Sanctuary who could hit a harder, faster punch than Proxima Midnight was Corvus’ own brother Cull Obsidian, who was several feet taller and many many pounds heavier than the female, but experience in the training rooms remind Corvus to move with caution when he expression became unreadable - even to his considerable  receptive capabilities.

With equal but not the same variation of caution, Proxima uncurled a leg to dangle it over the edge of the bed, eyes scanning Corvus, attempting to read his thought process to no avail.

Corvus raised his brow 

“Have you ever thought about trying again?”

He saw, at first, that she didn’t fully grasp his words so he added

“To learn again, since you arrived here?”

It had been almost two years after all.

Proxima sighed

“I’ve gotten this far without that particular skill - I’m sure i shall survive without it” she stated

Corvus looked unconvinced

“Until the likes of The Maw catch wind of this and manipulate it into Thanos viewing it as a weakness, if not taking it as you outright lying to him, though i’m sure he may suspect already - he is...extremely capable of detecting lies in his Generals” he told her

Proxima rolled her eyes

“I may have a low grade reading level but i am NOT a moron” she retorted.

Corvus knew her sharp words were simply an extension of the emotionless expression which presented itself when Proxima found herself feeling exposed or vulnerable.

Proxima moved to get to her feet

“I should…” 

Corvus, knowing she would shower, and leave for her own chambers, called to her at the last moment

“If you had someone teach you, the others need never know” 

He had spoken the words before he’d even considered them. Proxima turned to him with such sharpness that he wondered if he’d insulted her, to the extent that she looked as though she was about to snatch up her clothing and stalk from the room without dressing.

But her eyes, the most expressive part of her whether she would ever admit it or not, her wide, curious and almost every scrap of suspicion had receded, giving way to a genuine look of surprise.

Something passed between the two in the few seconds she took to grasp and consider his words, what he was suggesting, what he was offering...his aid, yet with no underlying threat

“And...who would you suggest?” 

Corvus relaxed his expression

“The most sensible option would be the person who already knows of your...limited ability” he offered, stepping towards her

Feigning a coy smirk she tilted her head slightly

“Hm, you’re right. But what would said person expect in exchange for keeping such a secret, particularly from their Master, which could have….uncomfortable consequences for both parties involved?” she purred

Corvus feel heat spread in his gut and shoot up his spine, his hand cupped the back of her neck, just roughly enough to draw a sharp breath from Proxima Midnight’s lips, but not hard enough to hurt

“Perhaps something they are currently already engaging in, regardless of other...favors involved?” he suggested, an echoing growl following his words.

He bent to her level but she pulled back, her hand darted between his legs, grabbing his cock until he grunted, which was muted as she spoke over the sound he made

“And if i should choose....to decline?” she questioned

Corvus squirmed in discomfort

“Then our...arrangement can continue as it already does, or be terminated entirely if that is your wish - there is no benefit for me for revealing such information about you, Thanos does not reward such trivial tattle-tale gossip.”  he insisted

Something passed between the two in the few seconds she took to grasp and consider his words, what he was suggesting, what he was offering...his aid, yet with no underlying threat or demand for something in return.

Her grip loosened, sending a far more pleasurable sensation to take its’ place. The snarl that followed might have been made by either of the two, and the pair shared a fierce kiss.

The exchange eventually ended with Proxima having to lightly push against his shoulders to remind him of her need to breath, and he pulled away, as breathless with need as she was with the denial of oxygen

“You have to leave now?” he almost pleaded

Her answer became incoherent as she chuckled and pulled him down onto the bed with her.

The book tumbled, forgotten, to the steel floor along with the towel’ around Corvus' waist.

Chapter 57: HABIT*

Summary:

Proxima develops a taste for something to cure her of something she cannot stand.

*Drug use - this is your trigger warning if you want to skip this chapter ;)

Notes:

Much more Proxima centric and written in connection to the chapter - One Last Hit, but set before that particular chapter, just a couple of years into Proximas recruitment into the Order.

* in the title means it is set before Proxima and Corvus' marriage so very little actual Proxivus content here

Chapter Text

 

Proxima Midnight so hated feeling tired, it reminded her of her bodys’ fragility, though she was a hardened warrior, former surviving champion of the Sakkarrian fighting pit and now rising member of Thanos’ esteemed Generals,  Black Order, she had already proven her abilities enough to satisfy the Great Titans expectations, yet when fatigue eventually struck, as it did all mortals, despite the longevity of Rhenarian life, where dying at 110 was only half expected and anything over 200 was exceptional, still she could be plagued with that detestable feeling that came when her mind and body eventually did scream at her for rest, for sleep despite her own wishes.

It wasn’t unusual for the Black Order to work solo missions - quite the contrary, each member had their own abilities and strength which they, and Thanos, knew exactly how to wield in order to draw out an outcome in their, or rather, their masters' favour.

It also wasn’t uncommon for them to make a brief stop at a bar, tavern or some similar establishment before returning to the Sanctuary. 

 

Proxima sat in the corner of the dive bar, without her distinctive armor, she went unnoticed as she blended effortlessly into the shadows - she could raze this grimy hovel to the ground without a word and a few good swings of her spear. But she had just ensured a tribute negotiation for Thanos with another planet, so she wasn’t in the mood - she was exhausted,  andpain throbbed behind tired eyes.

Proxima drank from her glass, it was cheap, and flat but in that moment it tasted better than the sweetest fruit to a starving man. Her amber eyes scanned the crowds, males, female, and many other beings of various races and species were gathered, some in groups or pairs, others in solitude like herself sat drinking and gambling, with bad quality music playing from the bars music system.

 

Finally, Proximas vigilance paid off and she found what she had been seeking for the past half an hour.

The person she spotted was brown and scaled, like a snake, but otherwize humanoid in terms of appearance, with an almost crocodile look to their facial features. A member of a species called the Cryzoics. Proxima kept her interest controlled, subtle so as not to draw attention. 

The Cryzoic had a hand resting on the knee of a blond female humanoid sitting close to his side, the pair were kissing intensely and to anyone else the movement of the Cryzoics hand would have simply been seen as a progressive intimate gesture as his clawed hand crept up his companions thigh. But after a second he tapped his index finger twice, a silent signal which the female responded to immediately, her hand slid down to cover his, still presenting themselves as an amorous couple, to anyone who might have watched with half the intensity that Proxima did. 

The female slowly and carefully took something from the Crytoics’ hand, sliding the object out from under his sleeve and up into the cuff of her leather trench coat, at the same time, Proxima saw the Crytoic slip several coins from the womans’ own sleeve.

As soon as this was done, beneath the chairs they sat upon the females’ tail smacked down on the Crytoics’ foot, making him grunt and pull away irritably, and the exchange was over. The female got to her feet and made her way to the public bathroom on the other side of the room.

Proxima dropped her gaze.

Until five minute later, when the Cryzoic finished his drink and left the bar entirely. Easily finding a staff/emergency exit to the side, Proxima plucked her spear from the floor and abandoned her drink and made her way towards that. If anyone saw, they didn’t care, much less bother to raise the issue with the bouncers or bartenders.

 

The thudding music and general chatter of the bar all but disappeared behind Proxima as she let the emergency door close sharply behind her.  Without pausing, she moved to the mouth of the alleyway, sidestepping trash, broken bottles and bodily fluids she didn’t stop to ponder the nature of, 

She waited only a few seconds when she reached out and hauled her target deeper into the ally with her, pinning him by the throat, her thumb pressing threateningly into the pulsing vein in the side of the Crytoics’ neck. The same Crytoic from the bar.

‘The hell you doing, you crazy bitch-” the Crytoics insult was cut off when Proxima hissed

“If you place any value on your miserable existence you won’t finish that question, now give. I know you’ve got some” she spat, calm, collected and lethal.

The Crytoic gave her a dead-pan expression

“Gonna have to be a bit more specific”

Proxima pushed him harder against the wall

“Race” she clarified in a low whisper

The Crytoic actually  relaxed, and chuckled

“Oh,  is that all? Well, why the hell didn’t you just say so,?” he huffed

Proxima tensed, ready to strike and holding the flickering blue tips of her spear just inches from her targets face, he eyed the weapon but went on

“Beginner, eh? Hardly the strongest stuff on the market but whatever makes you feel good I suppose - Not my job to care” the Crytoic stated bluntly.

Proxima allowed him to reach into his pocket, once again waiting for some kind of struggle or escape attempt, but the Crytoic offered her what he had collected from his pocket before she eased the pressure she was putting on the erratically throbbing vein beneath the Cryotics thick scales, the only thing that gave away his well hidden anxiety. The area around the vein she was pressing down on was thickly scaled, re-enforced to protect the vulnerable area of his throat but it would do nothing should Proxima decided not to play fair

“How much?” she demanded

The Crytoic shrugged

“500, love”

The Crytoic flinched as Proximas eyes flashed and the hand around his throat tightened, sparks of blue almost caught him in the eye

“Alright, alright, a guys’ gotta make a living you know! 200, plus the extras, presuming you want ‘em.” he offered nervously, avoiding any type of endearment this time.

Proxima nodded

“Done. Tokens?” she inquired firmly.

  Less traceable than credits.

The Crytoic shrugged once more

“Makes no difference to me” he stated 

“Now, you want em, or not?”

Proxima slid several coins from the pouch in her hip, showing them to the Crytoic, and the exchange was made slowly, cautiously. Both knowing they could turn on the other at any time

She then  handed over another 100 tokens.

“Discretion” Proxima snapped

The Crytoic nodded in understanding - he’d been doing this a long time. Proxima took what she wanted and the pair parted ways.

 

Not half an hour later the Crytoic strolled along the pavement,, hands in his pockets, whistling since he was already 1200 units richer since his last sale.

Rounding a corner however, a spark of blue/white light hit his chest, flooring him as he cried out. A figure leapt from the rooftop, covered his mouth and ransacked his pockets, blue and white sparks jolted and sparked from the three wounds that had punctured the Crytoics' body.

 

Proxima Midnight was relieved to finally be heading back to the Sanctuary at last. She set the pods auto-pilot and went to the table in the center of the ship to begin tinkering with the credit band she’d left there, it wouldn’t be difficult to access and transfer the credits to her own, to say nothing of the 1500 credits weighing down the pouch she unfastened from her belt and tossed heavily onto the table.


Proxima managed to conceal her eagerness to return to her rooms through all of her debriefing with Thanos, and a handful of pointless exchanges with her ‘Siblings’ Cull Obsidian and Ebony Maw, though she found Cull far better company than the latter whom she’d simply shot some sarcastic comment at and left.

Her door locked automatically once she had entered and Proxima forced herself to carefully empty the pouch on her hip, spilling the contents onto the bed, quickly turning to change into more comfortable attire - as she had been dismissed from duties during rest hours, she forced herself not to be enticed by the glimmer of silver that caught her eye in the clear, sealed bag.

After taking a few deep breaths, Proxima sat on the bed and made herself comfortable. Gods she was tired, she wanted to lay down, but she resisted.

She hated feeling this drained.

The syringe was just 10 MLs and only a little thicker than an average humanoid's middle finger, and she only filled it halfway - it would last longer, the effects less noticeable so long as she was careful. 

The cropped vest she wore bared her arms completely, and she inserted the needle, pressing down - not too fast, not too slow.

Gradually the milky turquoise liquid disappeared beneath her flesh and Proxima sighed. 

The liquid, aptly dubbed ‘Racer’ by those who knew of its effects and wanted to keep the illegal substance from falling into the hands of authorities, was an adrenaline based substance, it blocked the brain from feeling the need to sleep and helped the user remain awake and alert. Proxima knew she had to be careful, but she’d used it only once a month in triple that time, and Thanos ad praised her recent spike in productivity, and efficiency, not that he had been particularly displeased with it, but even the Titan had noticed a slight change in her: duties where completed with heightened sense of urgent and thoroughness, to say nothing of the extra time she seemed to be devoting to training and sparring.

 

In the mind of Proxima Midnight, Thanos didn’t have to know where this upward spiral of zeal and tenacity had come from, but so long as it continued to prove its’ benefits to her productivity, there was no harm, was there?

Knowing she only had a minute or two, she went to the bathroom, disposed of the used syringe down the drain, hid the other 8 vials and 10 syringes, and took a very brief shower. 

When she stepped out, skin dry, arm bandaged, Proxima began to dress once more - in the same crop top as before and an old pair of leggings and boots. With a relieved sigh Proxima noticed that, just like the last three times she’d done this, realized body was already no longer felt heavy, her mind no longer lethargic: She felt ready to take on an entire army single handedly...and then engage in a vigorous training session.

However, settling for a few hours  in the training rooms would have to suffice. Perhaps Cull hadn’t retired yet and would join her for a few rounds, or Corvus, she thought to herself, mind racing, veins rushing with adrenaline as a smile crept across her stern features; Yes. Corvus hardly slept at all, even during rest hours, surely he would be willing to join her for a few sparring rounds.

She then decided that, after that,  she would get a head start on the rest of her duties, before any of the others rose from their own beds. And by the following days’ rest hours, the effects of the liquid which she had injected into herself, would wear off - then she could sleep, if she wanted to, maybe another dose after this one had worn off wouldn’t hurt? If she injected into the same arm, she could simply re-bandage it. As she’d just returned from a mission no one would bother questioning it, for all they cared it was a scrap from a hastily dodged blaster fire.

Proxima marched confidently through the quieter, darkened halls of the warship, headache completely gone, eyes no longer heavy, her body and mind no longer tired.

 She so hated feeling tired after all.

Chapter 58: INNER THOUGHTS

Summary:

Proxima is alone with her own thoughts

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Proxima typically didn’t allow her mind to wander, to follow wisps of passing thought that had no real intent or purpose- she preferred to keep herself focused and her mind clear. But during rest hours,with no tasks or training sessions to occupy her, and when sleep evaded her, there was little else to do but to   allow thoughts begin to drift. Sometimes she reveled in past battles, recalling the rush of adrenaline battle brought, reliving the pride of having brought victory to her master. 

Other times, she thought of the more astonishing things she had seen and experienced since Thanos had freed her from the fighting pits of Sakkar. Before being taken into life aboard the Sanctuary Proxima had never seen the water gardens of Kanseer, or tasted freshly selected wine-berries that were so sour it made her taste buds ignite and her eyes water (Not that she’d ever admit it).

 These, and a thousand or more other things she had never felt, seen, heard, smelt or witnessed in her years serving Thanos. It didn't bother her that she played a large part in the destruction of some of the things she marveled at, because she also had the honour of being one of the last to witness these things. 

Now however, in the relative quiet of the Sanctuaries’ rest hours, Proxima mused not on past glories or the strange, even bemusing things she had experienced over the years. But on her husband. Her partner, her lover. Corvus Glaive. 

Come to think of it, she realized that perhaps Falling love was perhaps the most bemusing thing she had experienced since joining Thanos' Black Order. Having resigned herself to living the rest of her days as a fighting slave on Sakarr at just 18 cycles old, Proxima had never even considered the notion of feeling so strongly for another being. 

She'd had physical relationships - however short lived they were, but that all there was to it  - just sex. The biological, irrefusable  need for release that plagued all females of her species when they entered adolescence and their heat cycles began; lasting the last three days of every month without delay. 

 And yes, that was how her relationship with her fellow Black Order General had began, but somehow, somewhere in those couple of years, things had...evolved, from him providing her with the release shhe so needed during her cycle, to them fucking each other senseless whenever the chance presented itself. Then, almost two years later,  Corvus admitted to feeling more intense feelings towards the fierce, often stubborn Proxima Midnight. 

She hadn't known right away if she felt the same...but Corvus had never pushed her, never pressured her: hell, the poor bastard had even offered to simply remain as they were - purely and strictly as bed partners if that's what she wanted. Corvus had vowed that his only desire was to ensure her happiness and comfort... and something entirely new and almost inexplicable to Proxima who knew more of the universe' ugly, deformed, corrupt side than of its fascinating complexity and endless range of creatures, races and phenomena. But upon realizing that she too craved more in her relationship with Corvus Glaive, the most astonishing, complex phenomena she had yet to experience was the tangled web of emotions that from the bond she and Corvus had found in their union to one another. 

In the present Proxima smiled, a rare, uncharacteristically soft expression that almost didn't suit the otherwise stern, firmly set features of her two toned face - the lines of a slightly furrowed brow were almost indistinguishable against the black marking that stretched from ear to ear in a mask like marking across her eyes and forehead, she recalled how, even before they had even spoken of marriage, just how patient Corvus had been: she hadn't been...able to verbally reciprocate his declaration of love for many months - a lifetime of betrayal, pain and mistrust was not an easy feat to dismiss, and Proxima prided herself on her ability to remain detached, closed off from any feeling that could be perceived as weakness in one of Thanos' high ranking Generals. 

Anger, Disillusionment, cynicism were all emotions that could be used to help to become stronger as they moved  on with Thanos' goal of a universe with enough resources to eradicate the need to single, planned out genocides of entire races.

  But emotions such as love...proxima had been sure that there had been, 1 no need for it in her heart. And 2 no room for it in her life aboard the Sanctuary.  Now, many years later she was lying in the bed she shared, in more ways than just the physical, with her husband,  naked apart  from the grey-ish sheet tangle about her legs,, she looked down at her own scarred hands which toyed with the flimsy cotton, Proxima was, for this single time in her existence...glad to have been proven wrong.

 

The doors to their chambers hissed loudly as they opened, letting in a brief stream of white light from the Sanctuaries corridors as Corvus Glaive entered, returning the room to its previous, dull gloom once Corvus had pressed his palm to the sensory pad to close them again. 

Proxima listened to the soft clanking sound that signified Corvus standing his glaive against the wall with her spear, she raised her amber eyes, eyeing the shadows and silhouettes of shapes jagged and angular like him, which moved about the room as Corvus shed his clothing, she caught the brief, blood red slits that indicated his eyes, but he wasn’t looking at her so he didn’t seem to realize.

She waited with a patience that most believed she did not possess, until he slipped beneath the bed sheets beside her, making himself comfortable before a strong, but wiry arm reached across, a wrinkled grey skinned hand finds her arm, following the length of her forearm, then her wrist until his fingers can enclose her own, and for the first time since he’d entered, Corvus spoke

“You’re awake” 

He hadn’t realized it until now, but he spoke without betraying his surprise

“So quiet, My Midnight Star...what are you thinking so deeply on?” he rumbled smoothly, his thumb tracing a half-moon shaped scar near where her  thumb met the rest of her hand

Proxima turned away from him, but held him tighter; bringing their entwined hands to her bare collarbone and tucking herself back against his warm frame

“Nothing of importance, my love. I swear.” 

He might have pressed to know her thoughts had he heard a single trace of tension, concern or irritation in her voice. He heard none, so he let it drop. Corvus knew her well enough to tell that, by her voice, she was smiling; a private, contented smile he could see in his minds’ eye as clearly as if she were facing him.

He accepted her words, and leant up to kiss her temple once before settling back down, and Proxima, with her eyes closing tiredly, kissed the back of his hand, tucking his hand, and hers, beneath her chin comfortably

“You’re mine, Corvus Glaive.” she decreed.

“As you’re mine, my Midnight. Always.”

Proximas’ thoughts calmed and quickly became silent as sleep overcame her. 

 

Notes:

Perhaps not my best work, but I wanted to do a chapter that focuses a little more on Proximas' POV , sorta - enjoy

Chapter 59: CRIMSON NIGHTS

Summary:

Corvus sooths Proximas' irritations while on a mission

smut implied

Chapter Text

 

Proxima Midnight stood at the window of a room; a bedroom to be exact. Yet it was not her own, for she was not, at present, residing aboard the Sanctuary 2; Thanos’ warship. Instead she, along with her husband, had been sent on an extended mission to bargain with a prominent figure within Thanos’ territories. 

She crossed her arms in frustration while leaning against the stone of the alcove as she stared out into the bustling city she watched nightfall around them. She felt comfortable here, where she could see the sky, and the alcove provided a comforting embrace of cold shadows - the rooms themselves felt too large, too grand, for the battle hardened warrior who was unaccustomed to the luxury as their host had provided.

 The city is peaceful, at ease. There is no noticeable starvation, disease and war that signaled a race in decline. On the surface, this planet was thriving, life was rich and lively…their hosts; the grand council, reside in the enormous parliamentary building in the center of the city and it’s buildings, apartments and  houses spiral outward under the mint green sky that bled into darker shades, like that of grass, into jade, then the shadowy imitations of forest trees as the sun set in the far distance.

Tower blocks no less than maybe sixty stories high were starting to become dotted with light illuminating from windows, below them, markets and stores began to close up for business for the night.

Her thoughts however are, interrupted , though not in the negative connotation, by Corvus, her aforementioned husband, approaching her, and  his sharp perceptions took note of her stance and expression

“It seems you’ve been growing increasingly unhappy, my Midnight, won’t you tell me why?”

Proxima gave him a wry smile that didn’t meet her eyes as she turned her face to his

“Am I so transparent, my love?”  

Corvus took one last step to further erase some of the space separating them

“Only to me” 

Proxima smirked at turned back to the window, looking out over the city alongside her Corvus grunted; he  understands, better than anyone he understands.

Under that same, aesthetically pleasing sky, in those same clean, contently bustling streets, much like roaches scuttling from the light, soon the drug-lords, the addicts, the pimps and souls in such need and craving of a good fuck that they would pay for it would come crawling to the surface, black market traders would sell their wares so that those that walked the night, on the fridges of a supposedly thriving society could make enough credits for food and shelter that night. 

Only those of the highest order, mainly the grand council,  were aware of the truth: the changes in the planets’ atmosphere had been changing over the last decade or so, resulting in undesirable changes in the planets’ climate, thus affecting the peoples’ crops, the animals they hunted were migrating further in search of their own sustenance...some never to return, forcing the people to find various alternatives...which were slowly becoming scarcer as each season came and went.

Corvus turned to Proxima

“The Council will be meeting soon” he informed her

Proxima sighed in resignation

“I’m beginning to dread these affairs, my dear. Such ceremony and etiquette at dinner is unnatural”

Corvus chuckled

“You tire of luxury so easily, my love?” he probed

Proxima huffed

“I was born for blood and battle, Corvus, not politics and luxury, as you well know” 

His arms encircled her waist as he embraced her from one side

“Yet it suits you so deliciously, my Midnight”

The eager rumbling in his chest made her chuckle, out loud as she returned the gesture 

“It is the hypocrisy of it all, the veil of lies the council seem so determined to live under, and expect their people to be content.” she says.

On the surface, these people thrived, but below, and on the outskirts of a glittering city, the slums are being choked from within; rebels are being led by those who had heard whispers of the planet's precarious future, despite the grand council's efforts to smother any such rumors.

Corvus sighed, disappointed at her deflection, and  his reply was said to the shell of her ear, for her hearing only

“Veils made from lies are the thinnest of all, dear Proxima; as you well know. It will not be long, of that I am certain. Sooner than they think, in fact.”

Punctuates this by nipping her earlobe as they stand, coiled together in the growing shadows of the alcove, he feels his beloved stiffen slightly, and he knows it isn’t just his physical displays of affection that is fueling her excitement 

She is a warrior; a killer who needs to do what she was born to do. Feeling her eagerness, reveling in her blood lust, Corvus held her tighter

“Better to slaughter the beast before it grows lame and fails to be of use.” 

Corvus grunted as his spine met the stone wall and Proxima pinned herself against him; trapping him between herself and the wall, in spite of being a few inches shy of his full height, she is toned, muscled, where he is lithe and wiry.; neither less formidable than the other

“You take enjoyment in teasing me, Corvus Glaive?” she demands

Corvus grinned, hooking several strands of cobalt hair behind her ear with a single clawed finger

“You cannot pretend you do not enjoy it” 

His countenance earns him another, more sincere smile, and a few moments of prolonged eye contact that makes him feel intoxicated, like he might fall forward; her eyes are like an infinite amber hued black hole he could easily fall right into and remain lost to time and meaning but for her, and when he guides her lips to his, the room; with all its’ golden, decor and expensive silks has spun out of existence.

The slaughter is brief, too easy, too languid and lacks the brutality of the battlefield; but it was what was required of them - to prove their swiftness and subtlety, not their strength and sadism. But it, and the rough way her husband had taken her in the alcove of their bedchamber before their entrance at dinner, was enough to take the edge off of her tensions therefore she allows him this

The council room is no less grand than the bedchambers, except gold is replaced by silver and black marble, polished floors and thick, heavy draperies in crimson and silver, shadows dance across the walls in the sallow yellow glow of a hundred candles.

 

And red; a lot of it.

 It stains their boots, their hands, their weapons, and  the hem of Corvus’ cloak, not that they notice, since their eyes are locked on their partners - Corvus’ heated, blood-red warms Proximas’ cool amber ones as they paint the polished floor with the life-blood that drains from the paling corpses of the Council members as they move about the hall in a spontaneous series of movements too close, too  intimate to be a waltz yet too slow to be tango, but they’re moved not by any lilting tune  or haunting operatic melody, but by the long faded echoes of their victims’ screams.

Chapter 60: I Am His, as He Is Mine

Summary:

So, I've been pretty excited about this chapter for a while but I wanted to save it to kind of 'celebrate' my 60th chapter of this series.

When I started posting these one-shots I had no idea how out of hand this would get! Big Thank you to everyone who takes the time to read, kudos and comment - hope you enjoy :)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Proxima hardly flinched when the dagger cut into her side, she had promptly driven her spear through the soldier’s skull in retaliation.

When the battle was done and she and her lover, Corvus Glaive had returned to their waiting Q ship, Proxima tended to her wound, waving off Corvus’ concern – it was hardly the first time she had been injured. It was the first time she remembered being quite so nauseated after the fact though.

They reported to Thanos, as was expected of them, but Proxima was unable to concentrate as her wound was starting to cause her more bother than anticipated, she also felt hot and sick.

She hid her relief well when she and Corvus were finally dismissed but she made her way quickly to her own chambers. Her entire body felt like it was being consumed in flames, radiating out from her side, here the knife had cut across her skin.

As she peeled away the dressing she’d wrapped around her torso, she saw that the area around the gash caused by the soldier’s dagger had blackened, the wound was dripping blood along with some other alarming substance!

The nausea worsened so suddenly and with such intensity that Proxima gasped for air, clutching her bleeding side, trickles of blue blood seeped through her fingers as she sunk to her knees, and collapsed to the floor.

Meanwhile Corvus, who had noticed his lover’s hasty departure, had returned to his chambers to shower and exchange his thick battle suit and armour in favour of lighter, more comfortable clothing before heading down the hall to Proxima’s chambers, unable to stop the anticipation swell within his chest, as it always did when he went to her rooms, or waited for her to come to him.

After being together for two years, ‘officially’ as Cull had referred to it since this did not include the four months of casual sex they had engaged prior to that, Corvus had asked Proxima to be his for the rest of their lives, as his wife, she had accepted under the condition that they not rush and Corvus, elated that she had agreed in the first place, agreed.

Corvus, however, stopped dead in his tracks as he entered Proxima’s chambers to find her lying on the floor, unconscious.

With an anxious shout of her name, Corvus darted to her side, the wound in her side was now eposed and staining the floor with blood and a thick, black mucus.  Corvus  reached for her wrist to find her pulse just barely fluttering under the skin, her turned her head to face him to find her breathing too quiet, too erratic!

Proxima was taken to in the ships medical unit, and Corvus remained outside, watching as a ventilator mask was fitted over her mouth and nose, wires and tubes connected her to heart, and blood-pressure monitors, along with various other machines, with three medics surrounding her, worked to stabilize her condition.

He watched the heart rate monitor with unblinking eyes, suddenly the uneven line spiked and alarms sounded, with the medics called instruction to each other. Corvus  knew these signs well enough…things weren’t looking far from positive.

What if he had been too late?

After a moment however, the alarms stopped and the line signifying Proximas' heart rate had become steadier from what Corvus could see.

One of the medics looked up, noticed Corvus presence and slipped from the room

“She’s stabilized, but only just…you need to wait outside” 

Typically Corvus wouldn’t stand for being spoken to with such confidence and authority, other than Thanos, but all he could think of was Proxima, her life was hanging in the balance here…

For now, what is that meant to mean?!” he demanded fiercely

The medic hesitated

“I mean what I said; she is stable, but only just. There’s-”


Corvus growled quietly at the medics continued hesitation

“Well?” he snapped

The Medic swallowed, and glanced at Proxima’s still form

“We’re doing what we can, but there’s a chance she may not pull through. The next few days will be crucial.” He explained, darting back into the room to re-join his colleagues, leaving a stunned Corvus behind.

His chest tightened, so much so that he couldn’t breath…

Corvus recalled how pale Proxima had looked when they’d reported to Thanos some hours ago, the slight vagueness of her eyes when she momentarily let her focus slip, only for her to force a stoic expression and leave the room at the first opportunity.

Corvus turned away as a ventilator mask was replaced over Proximas' face, his quaking knees and the urge of vomit drove Corvus from the medical unit.

Lurching through the doors, he braced both hands against the wall opposite the door to the med-bay, breathing heavily.

he should have simply followed her to her rooms straight after their meeting with THanos rather than going to his own rooms to shower and change, if he’d found her sooner…

Corvus pushed the thought away with a sharp inhale, it wasn’t in his nature to think in such away, in ‘what if’s’ and the like, but then he’d never felt for anyone the way he felt for her, never in his life and he realized now how afraid he was of losing it…losing her.

They’d taken many missions together, led Thanos’ armies into battle a dozen times, been injured during plenty of those missions as well, but this was perhaps the closest Corvus had ever experienced such deep, genuine fear that Proxima might not pull through.

At that moment Cull Obsidian marched around the corner

“Brother” he called as he approached his brother

“I heard”

The larger male took in his brother’s posture, his expression and his face fell, his narrow yellow eyes became uncharacteristically concerned and his expression became genuinely shocked

“She isn’t…” Obsidian started

Corvus shook his head, already knowing what his brother was assuming, he stood straight, letting his arms fall limply to his sides

“They…they’re not confident that she’ll pull through” he stated, feeling numb as he forced himself to say the words.

-

Fourteen hours felt akin to fourteen lifetimes, but finally the ships head medic exited the Unit and Corvus advanced on him in seconds, looming over the smaller male.

The medic pushed aside his initial wave of fear of Thanos’ most trusted General

“She’s asking for you” he started

Corvus’ eyes widened slightly

“She can speak?” he demanded, that had to be a positive sign!

The Medic nodded hesitantly

“She is weak…but determined” he offered

“It’s still unclear if she will pull through. The blade used to injure her was purposely coated with bacteria, as well as an alarming list of toxins intended to infect the wound in order to cause maximum damage.” The Medic paused

When he spoke again it was in a somber tone

“To be completely honest, if there is anything between you that needs to be settled, do so now” he advised

"just in case"

The Doctor led Corvus down the walk-way between the lines of vacant rooms

“I shall need to remain in the room in order to monitor her; she mentioned having something to tell you and removing the ventilator for long periods of time could prove dangerous in her condition.”

Corvus didn't physicaly react

“Fine” he answered, with his eyes fixed in-front of him.

Proxima turned her head as Corvus entered and opened her eyes, it took a long moment for her vision to settle but it did and she weakly tried to grasp the thick plastic ventilator mask covering her mouth and nose while her entire body heaved with the strain of simply trying to breath normally

“Corvus…” she started anxiously, more so than he’d ever heard her.

Suddenly she turned away gasping, practically retching with her need for air.

The Medic took charge, quickly taking Proxima’s’ wrist and moving the mask back over her mouth and nose, he instructed her to take a breath, as deep as she could, hold it for two seconds, and then exhale.

The Medic nodded and Corvus moved from his place by the door, tense with the effort it took not to show how deep his concern for her, he’d never seen her so…vulnerable, fragile even as the Medic had her repeat the breathing exercise as he’d instructed;

In…hold…out.

In…Hold…out.

The medic nodded to Corvus and backed away as Corvus strode forward, and slipped a hand carefully between some of the wires to stroke her cheek. Her skin no longer it’s normal, healthy pale grey, she was practically white, the black marking across her forehead standing out in alarming contrast.

Nothing in her eyes was left of his fierce, strong, wonderful lady Midnight…He’d always loved that intense, focused look she always seemed to have, developed from her years of training to serve in the Order, then there was the vicious gleam that came to her eyes, in the heat of battle, when she was ready to make a particularly significant kill, in one of the may creative ways she’d perfected over those same years.

But her and now there was only one thing, one question he could read in her eyes

‘Am I going to die?’  

 He followed the line of her cheekbone with the back of his index finger

“Proxima, you are not going to die. Not here, not now” he insisted.

To convince himself or his lover he couldn’t say.

Proxima removed the ventilator again, speaking quickly so as to not waste the time she had

“Want to…marry you…now! Don’t …want to die…without keeping my promise…to…you, please, please?”

Suddenly she was convulsing, wheezing as she fought for her next breath.

Corvus knew she didn't fear death. As Children of Thanos, they could not indulge in such a luxury, but when faced with the very real prospect of it was enough could very easily change ones mind.

But Proxima had always been adamant that she would die fighting, bringing glory to Thanos and Victory to the Order...

The Medic returned the mask over her mouth and nose, looking up at Corvus with a stern expression

“You should leave, now”

For moment Corvus is morbidly transfixed by the jarring form of Proxima fighting for life before him as machines started to bleep urgently and as he backed out of the room, two more medics entered and encircled Proxima, concealing her from Corvus’ sight.

He only hesitated for a split second before his decision is made; when he first asked Proxima to marry him, of course he had meant it, but had left the question of ‘when’ for her to choose, she’d been in no hurry those four months ago.

But things were different now.

Exiting the room, Corvus passed Obsidian, who had been waiting expectantly for news of Proxima.

Corvus addressed his brother without looking back or breaking stride as he passed him

“Obsidian, with me. I must speak to Thanos.” He declared, veering right to stalk down the hallway

Cull followed without question.

Rest hours had long passed on the Sanctuary 2 and by now even Thanos had caught wind of Proximas' emergency visit to the medical wing, but it was only when Corvus had requested to speak with him did Thanos come to realize how urgent the issue was; one of his fiercest Generals at deaths’ door, with no certainty of making through the night let alone the next few days.

He’d been skeptical of the relationship between Proxima Midnight and Corvus Glaive, he’d been made aware of it long before Corvus had come forward with it. The Maw was certainly adamant in his opinions regarding the situation.

But when they had proven that they would not allow their relationship to distract them from their duties or interfere with their service to him and the Black Order, Thanos had remained lenient, even allowing their engagement, such was his trust in their abilities, and their loyalty.

And now his devoted strategist was kneeling at the foot of the steps leading up to Titans’ thrown, beseeching him to marry them within the hour

“Please, my lord Thanos, I would not ask if I were not sure of the medics words…if she is to-…” Corvus paused, his voice wavering, but he regained his composure quickly

“If Midnight is to die, she wishes for us to be married before then, as do I.” the glaive-wielder informed.

The Titan glanced at Obsidian, who stood straight, a few paces behind Corvus, and the younger sibling nodded, confirming the urgency of the situation.

Thanos got to his feet.


Corvus’ feet barely touched the ships iron flooring as he returned to the Med-bay, but as he reached Proxima’s room he stopped dead…the expression of relief that stretched across his features dropped.

more Alarms. Medics shouting over her convulsing form.

Corvus was frozen, staring through the glass at the scene before him.

The Alarms stopped, and the medics calmed as her condition stabilized once more.


Finally the same medic from before exited and addressed Corvus

“Another bad turn, her condition will continue to decline each time this happens I’m afraid. She’s stable again now though” he added quickly.

Corvus glanced at the medic and then back to Proxima, watching the rise and fall of her chest, willing it to never stop, never.

After an agonising fifteen minutes, the two other medics left and Corvus went to her side, taking in her features for just a moment before she sensed him and opened her eyes, a thankful sigh passed her lips, fogging the ventilator mask for a moment before it slowly faded.

She reached for the mask but Corvus stopped her, unwilling to let her removing it lest it cause her more distress and discomfort

“No, no don’t.” he urged, takin her hand, kissing the inside of her wrist before meeting her gaze

“Proxima, my lady Midnight…will you be my wife? Now.” he asked

The smile she offered him, weak though it was, marred by thick, sterile plastic, made him ache, made him feel like he was falling in love with her again for first time.  Proxima nodded wordlessly.

That was when she saw Thanos appear in the door way of her room, she tried to remove the ventilator mask once more, but surprisingly, Thanos raised his hand

“Proxima there is no need.” He insisted

Corvus took her hand, stopping her once more

“it’s alright, it’s alright” he murmured, so quietly that even Thanos didn’t hear.

Thanos approached and stood at the end of the bed

“Corvus Glaive has explained the situation. You wish to be married, yes?”


He looked between the pair and Proxima nodded as did Corvus.

“Very well then.” Thanos said

Corvus stood with his back straight, mindful of the cannula inserted in her hand he rested the back of his hand on the bed to allow Proxima to rest her palm over his.

Thanos began

“Proxima, do take Corvus Glaive to be your husband, your lover and your partner, from this day until your last?”

This time, Proxima was more insistent in removing the mask, but remained too weak to do more, not even raise her head

“I do” she rasped, quickly replacing the mask, breathing fitfully, clutching Corvus hand so tight that her nails left marks in his skin

Thanos nodded once

“Corvus, do you take Proxima to your wife, your lover and your partner, from this day until your last?”

Corvus exhaled

“I do”

Thanos nodded once again

“Is there something you wish to add?” he urged, Corvus had explained everything.

The couple turned to each other, Corvus moved to one knee, watching her , memorizing her.

“I am hers, as she is mine, from this day until my final breath. I’ll await you my love, even in death”

He said them with every ounce of conviction possible but secretly, he wanted to choke on the words. They’d toyed with various renditions of marital vows, but Proxima had taken a liking to these in particular, and when she asked that they be married as soon as possible, Corvus already knew the words they would speak to each other.

Proxima removed the oxygen mask yet again , frowning with the effort it took to speak, ignoring the pain the potential that each minuete may be her last, she ignored all of it as she focused on Corvus, because he was all she wanted, all she needed to make it through each uncertain moment that passed

“I am his…as he….is mine, from now…’til my f-final breath.”

She paused to take a deep inhale of air provided by the ventilator, pain flaring in her side. Even in her critical state, the irony was not lost on her and she felt her heart clench in her chest, and not because of the bacteria seeping into ever cell of her being, blocking her lungs, strangling her arteries…

“I’ll await you, my love…even…even in d-death” she gasped, lurching slightly as she fixed the mask back in place and leaving it there.

It was then Thanos’ turn to speak again

“As master of the Warship, Sanctuary 2, in the eyes of all the known Galaxies, you are now husband and wife.”

Corvus, still on one knee beside Proxima, looked up

“Thank you, master, you have our eternal gratitude” he proclaimed, bowing his head, sweeping his free hand behind his back

Thanos nodded once

“Glaive, you are excused from duties until further notice, make the most of your time together. But from my understanding, there is still a chance of Proxima Midnight’s recovery, do not give up on that hope.” The Titan insisted

Corvus lifted his head

“You are generous my lord Thanos. Thank you.”

Without another word Thanos left, stopping to address the bespectacled Medic that had been hovering by the doors.

Meanwhile, Corvus returned his gaze to Proxima, still letting her clutch his hand while using his other to move strand of navy hair through his fingers

“My wife” he uttered

The words for the first time and he wondered how in all the known universes it was possible to feel such happiness, himself in particular. But he did, he wondered how it was biologically possible to experience such a feeling and still draw breath.

The look on Proxima’s pale, tired features told him she was having similar thoughts, and her hand tightened around his, her chest rose and fell unevenly, and her grip too weak, but for a moment there was that spark in her eyes that Corvus so loved, not sadistic, murderous gleam, but that singular, intense glint only he, as her lover and now her husband, would ever see in her.

“I am very much in love with you my lady Midnight”

She nodded with half lidded eyes 

'as I love you’ she replied, but only in her mind, knowing Corvus would see her answer in her expression.

Her eyes felt heavy, her vision was blurring.

Corvus’ brow furrowed with concern

“Tired, my love? he asked

She nodded again, but grasped his hand, this time with both of hers, tugging slightly at the cuff of his sleeve.

He knew what she was asking

“Sleep, my Midnight, I’ll not leave your side.” he assured, stroking her hair soothingly

“I’m proud to call you my wife at last. I know you’ll over-come this, just as you do every hardship you been dealt in life. I will see you well again." he paused for a moment before adding

"As soon as you are recovered we will see many more glorious battles together and bring further victory to our master. I will have you in resting beside me in our bed again. And, whenever you’re ready, I’ll make love to you, not as my bed-partner or my lover but as my wife”

Proxima, in her sick, exhausted state, managed a huff of amusement, in that moment she felt like she was clinging to his words as her lifeline.

She wanted to live, she had to live, she knew that much. And just as she began to drift into sleep, she decided that it wasn’t Thanos, not his life’s mission to balance the universe, or her place as his fiercest General that she wanted to live for, that anchored her to this life… it was Corvus; her husband.

Notes:

I guess there's a lot of out of character stuff in this chapter, but I wanted to use that to convey the seriousness of the situation, from Proxima's point of view, she doesn't know if she's going to live from minuet to minuet, and she doesn't want to die breaking her promise to Corvus, the only person she actually truly cares for.

For Corvus, it's a similar situation, he loves Proxima more that almost anything and hasn't yet had to deal with such a raw, and real fear that Proxima could actually die.

Chapter 61: Dance With Me 1

Chapter Text

In the first few weeks of her arrival aboard the Sanctuary, Proxima had spent much of her time in the observation dome of the ship, even now, so many years later it was still a favoured place for her to seek her solitude, which, since finding Corvus, had been rather a lot less often.

Through thick, floor to ceiling glass opposite the door the vast expanse of space could be seen, millions of distant stars and planets, moons and suns dotted across a never ending sea of black.

Proxima shuts the door behind them as Corvus moved past her, she turned and crossing her arms in a relaxed manner, watching her husband with a teasing expression

“Why are we here of all places, we have perfectly acceptable bed to make use of” she smirked, not pretending that she hadn’t expected them to retreat to their chambers straight away.

Corvus, who had been tampering with a contraption she could not see, approaches her once more, looking amused at her quip

“That is true my love” he admits, his hands come to rest on her hips

“But that is not what I had in mind…not yet anyway, as for the rest of the night…” he presses his forehead to her cheek, as though unable to go another second without some form of physical contact between them.

Proxima chuckles lowly

“We can always just start now” she purred

Corvus nipped her earlobe

 

“As enticing as it…as you are, my dear, there is one thing I would I ask of you first” he started, he stepped back to hold her at arms-length.

Her dark brow furrows, her amber eyes narrowing in suspicion

“And what might that be?” she questioned

Corvus’ mouth quirks into a grin before he steps back, pressing a button on the small black contraption he had been holding moments before.

A soft melody began to play as he prowls towards Proxima, stopping he holds out a hand for her to take, the question in his eyes remaining unspoken but she knew it regardless

“You cannot be serious, have I offered any implication ever in my life that I dance?!” she demanded

She doesn’t unfold her arms, giving Corvus a look that seemed to question her lovers’ sanity, or rather, apparent lack of.

 

Unfazed, Corvus rested his hands on the tops of her arms, feeling her toned biceps flex under his warm touch

“You also sneered at the prospect of marriage before you and I became…involved” he reminded her with a low growl

“I thought if I asked in advance the more adamantly you would decline. To be honest it’s somewhat of a tradition on my world” he admitted

 

Proxima sighs as she feels her resolve start to wane, it’s clear this means something to Corvus, even though he seems set on not verbalizing it as such

“Corvus-” her shoulders slump in defeat

Sensing that she is beginning to falter, Corvus decides to give her one last metaphorical nudge

“What’s the harm, Midnight? There’s no one else to see, indulge me just this once my love?” he said, tilting his head to meet her gaze.

Proxima growled but her posture finally relaxes

“Alright, alright if it will make my husband happy on our first night as husband and wife” she conceded

 

Corvus took her hand and stepped back to lead her to centre of the room, lifting her chin to meet her gaze

“Just don’t think on it too much, just keep your eyes on me” he instructed

Proxima nodded in understanding had to admit, even to herself, that she couldn’t find fault in the music at least, finding the melody tolerable.

Corvus guides her at first but Proxima soon finds herself able to anticipate what is needed of her.

He has told her a little of marital traditions of his home, most of which they both agreed held little to no validity in their world. She knows enough to remember that, on his and Cull Obsidians home world, this dance, she knew, was meant to be observed by guests of the weddings feast, a trait which is, thankfully absent from hers and Corvus’ own marital ceremony, if one would call it that.

Moon so bright night so fine, keep your heart here with mine


Life's a dream we are dreaming

 

As she began to move with more confidence Proxima realizes this is not some soft, sentimental exhibition of him leading and twirling her about like other ridiculous dances she’d observed in the past. It is slow, yes, but fierce, designed to be a display of the extent of the desire and passion that fuelled their partnership, proof that they are inexplicably connected in a way that almost allows them to mentally anticipate each-others next movement and respond in kind.

 

Despite the fact that they were unpracticed, inexperienced, they find familiarity in the way their bodies respond, to the music, to each other: it’s not unlike the way they might move in the sparring arena, they must anticipate and follow their partner’s next move while planning your own ahead of them and expecting your opponent to follow. Proxima mentally clings to that familiarity, using it to drive and guide her in this strange territory she has found herself in.

Race the moon catch the wind Ride the night to the end


Seize
the day stand up for then night

His movements matched the tempo of the music, predatory yet protective, while Proxima mirrored him, lithe and graceful yet everything about her radiated strength and confidence, like she knew exactly what effect she had on him, and was accepting and embracing the fact he held the same power over her, the couple allowed barely a sliver of light and air between them.

 

I want to spend my lifetime loving you If that is all in life I ever do



Heroes rise heroes fall Rise again, win it all
In your heart, can't you feel the glory

 

Exactly who was leading and who was following seemed to switch and change with the same effortless fluidity with which they carried out their movements. Corvus moved his left foot backward in a smooth motion, sliding across the floor. She slid her right foot forward, chasing his retreating foot with hers.


Through our joy, through our pain, We can move worlds again
Take my hand, dance with me

 

His fingers tightened on her ribs as his left foot came forward again, dipping her back so far, with such swiftness that, had she not been who she was, her spine might have snapped, yet she fell into the exchange easily

I want to spend my lifetime loving you If that is all in life I ever do

I will want nothing else to see me through

 

His hand slithered up her front, the other supported her back with her own hand grasping his forearms, the tresses of her high pony-tail brushed the floor for a second before Corvus pulled her straight again, their chests almost touched


If I can spend my lifetime loving you

Though we know we will never come again, Where there is love, life begins
Over and over again

 

He suddenly spun her away as though she were too terrible, yet to wonderful, to be near, yet he held on to her left hand with his right, and her right with his left, their arms pulled taut for a several moments, their eyes locked, exchanging every emotion their expressions weren’t portraying before he reeled her back in, unable to surrender her for longer than a matter of seconds.

He pulled her in close, threatening to brush his lips against hers, and they slowly circled each other, the back of one hand resting on the small of their partners back. Gradually they came to a halt as she melted into him, his strong, lean arms wrapping around her tightly as Corvus embraced her from behind, holding her to him so that her spine was aligned with his chest and torso, powerful, clawed hand trailed over her ribs.

With her eyes cast down, her hands came to the back of his head to ensure the space between them was kept at a minimum; her breathing is sharp and uneven against his ear.

Slowly, with her forehead almost touching his temple, she lifted her head, meeting his gaze with heavily lidded eyes and slightly parted lips

 

Save the night, save the day Save the love, come what may
Love is worth everything we pay

 

Corvus could feel the cold sweat that clung to her spine, from nerves or from the focus she held on the containment of her actions he didn’t know. All he knows is her, her presence, her scent, the feel of body pressing against his…

 

I want to spend my lifetime loving you
If that is all in life I ever do I want to spend my lifetime loving you

If that is all in life I ever do I will want nothing else to see me through
If I can spend my lifetime loving you

 

Proxima turned slowly, keeping her eyes locked on his, their bodies brush against each other as they stand chest to chest and the song comes to a gradual stop but neither notice the final notes fade into silence, all they can hear is each-others labored breathing, all they can focus on is the nearness of each-others bodies.

Corvus regains his voice first

“Thank you, Midnight” it’s all he can say in that moment

She smiles and he forgets how to breathe, she speaks and he forgets everything else exists.

“Is that not my line...?”

The jest is to break the heavy silance that threatens…what exactly Proxima doesn’t know, but she feels crushed by the weight of it…his gratitude, the realization that she is finally his…it feels like its crushing her, and the fact that she is almost willing to let it, in that moment, is enough to jar her into speak, to break that silence because she doesn’t know what will happen if she doesn’t.

The spark in her eyes is enough to make Corvus’ knees weaken under his own weight, but before he can answer she speak again

“I love you”

Her voice is little more than a whisper, almost a self realizatio she has only just come to, and Corvus for once, has no reply for her, instead he reacts with physical affection that mirrors the way she would when unable to verbaly react to something he himself has said and their roles are switched for just a moment.

He tugs her to him, kissing her deeply, distantly feeling her wrap her arms around his neck, and a leg tuck itself around his calf.

Chapter 62: Dance With Me 2

Summary:

 

Proxima and Corvus don't realise a private moment is actually...not so private

The song is  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP6LQjJo7eY and one of my top favourite songs. 

Some might not see it as a very 'Corvus x Proxima' song but I think the song itself is still beautiful

Chapter Text

 

“We shouldn’t do this, we’ll get caught!” Nebula tried to reason with her ‘sister’ as they climbed the spiral iron stairs that led to the observation dome.

Gamora turned the younger girl

“We won’t! Don’t be such a baby Nebula!” she snapped.

At twelve years old she was three years older than her more cautious companion but Nebula knew it would be her that would be punished if, no, when, they were caught – Gamora, at least in Thanos’ eyes, could do no wrong.

But when Gamora overheard strange sounds coming from the observation dome, she was determined to follow it and discover its source.

Since Gamora was the closest thing she had to a friend on the Sanctuary 2 Nebula followed despite her reservations. She wasn’t a baby, she could be brave and fearless like Gamora!

Gamora reached the top of the stairs on her hands and knees with Nebula in the same position beside her, Gamora almost gasped fearfully but had to keep silent as she ducked back behind the door.

After waiting a moment, certain they had not been caught the older teen and peered around the door which was pushed ajar.

Proxima Midnight sat on the ground by the large floor to ceiling window directly opposite the door, a wine glass in her hand and Corvus stood at full height in front of her, from what Gamora could see and hear he was asking something and holding his hand out to her.

Proxima shook her head fondly

“Over my dead body” she said.

Corvus prickled at the expression but ignored it

“Come now my love, when was the last time we did so?” he asked, the couple remained entirely unaware that they were being watched.

Proxima narrowed her eyes in thought, setting her wine glass aside

“Our wedding night? No, our last anniversary” she corrected, smiling up at Corvus who returned the sentiment

“Then indulge me, my lady Midnight?” he requested smoothly, still holding his clawed hand out to Proxima.

She took his hand without breaking eye contact with him.

Gamora rolled her eyes, almost gagging – she was used to her ‘adoptive siblings’ acting this way with each other, normally she could tune it out or flat out avoid crossing paths with them but her curiosity cancelled out her revulsion over the couple amorous behaviour.

Beside her Nebula pointed to a black box the had been resting by Proxima’s ankle – it seemed to be the source of the sounds they’d heard,

"What…is it?” the younger girl questioned, keeping her voice low,

Gamora listened for a moment

“I think it’s…music, I don’t understand it’s purpose myself but I know that’s what the sound is.” Gamora answered just as quietly.

Nebula meanwhile, had returned her attention to Corvus and Proxima – he had brought his hands to Proxima’s waist, pulling her close and began to lead her in a soft swaying motion in time to the music.

Moon so bright night so fine, Keep your heart here with mine. Life's a dream we are dreaming,

Race the moon catch the wind Ride the night to the end Seize the day stand up for the light

I want to spend my lifetime loving you If that is all in life I ever do

Corvus smiled triumphantly, pleased that he had convinced the stubborn Proxima Midnight into such an act and Proxima’s expression, ordinarily stern or emotionless, had softened, her hands resting on her husband’s shoulders.

Corvus was the only person in the whole universe who could break through her stubborn streak, and see past the protective walls she’d built around herself. Around Corvus, only Corvus, she felt more relaxed; her expression softened and a rare loving smile crossed her features.

Heroes rise heroes fall Rise again, win it all

In your heart, can't you feel the glory

Through our joy, through our pain, we can move worlds again

Take my hand, dance with me

I want to spend my lifetime loving you

If that is all in life I ever do

The pair continued to sway in time with the music, moving in a slow circle in the centre of the room.

Gamora frowned as she watched; Proxima Midnight was the Order’s fiercest Warrior, Corvus was Thanos’ Strategist and First Dreadlord of the Black Order, so what drove them to behave in such a way?

She found the melody of the song soothing, the words being sung from the black boxes were pleasant enough but they meant nothing, to her at least.

She wondered how the two Generals, often charged with the command of slaughtering thousands in service to Thanos, how was that they could still feel let alone show an adoration Gamora had never witnessed in her short life.

She decided there and then it would one day be their downfall – if they could feel compassion for each other what would stop them from one day betraying Thanos and the cause they served? Gamora glanced at Nebula who watched not with revulsion but…wonder.

Fascination and…longing shone in her black eyes which still looked too big for her face, like she had yet to grow into them. Gamora went back to spying on her siblings.

Proxima leant her head back slightly as Corvus leant his forehead to hers, sighing in pleasure.

It was so rare they got time to themselves like this – while they had no fears about being openly affectionate towards each other whether it was in front of the rest of their ‘family’ or on the battle field, but they still had to meet certain expectations, they still had a master to serve and a job to do.

But as they swayed together against the backdrop of black sky and distant stars all of that seemed to fade away, even just a little, for a short amount of time.

Proxima chuckled as a sound, similar to a purr rumbled through Corvus’ chest.

I will want nothing else to see me through

If I can spend my lifetime loving you I will want nothing else to see me through.

If I can spend my lifetime loving you

Though we know we will never come again

Where there is love, life begins. Over and over again

Save the night, save the day, Save the love, come what may

Love is worth everything we pay

Gamora’s jaw slackened when Corvus took Proxima’s hand and spun her under his arm!

The green skinned pre-teen could harldy believe what she was seeing from her sadistic, blood thirsty ‘siblings’

Meanwhile Nebula couldn’t help but smile with a similar look of surprise, she just couldn’t tear her gaze away.

She and Gamora, and the rest of the Order where all damaged in some way, they’d all known pain, and suffering and clawed their way back from the brink – but despite all that Proxima and Corvus had found a singular, seemingly unconditional love in each other, Nebula wondered if one day she might know a love like that.

After spinning her under his arm Corvus had drawn Proxima back to him so that her back was against his chest, with her arm hooked around his neck, he held her close with his arms around her middle, now simply swaying from side to side, Proxima closed her eyes, leaning against Corvus’ sturdy frame; enjoying his embrace, his warmth.

I want to spend my lifetime loving you

If that is all in life I ever do

I want to spend my lifetime loving you

If that is all in life I ever do

I will want nothing else to see me through

If I can spend my lifetime loving you

Corvus pressed a kiss to Proxima’s temple, then her jaw then at her neck.

Proxima pressed herself closer against him for a moment, as the last of the songs notes faded, Proxima turned in her husband’s arms,

“Satisfied my love?” she inquired.

Corvus took her face in his hands, minding not to break her skin with his claws

“I’ll not be satisfied until we’ve returned to our bed chambers, I’ll bring to the edge of release again and again until you beg for me my lady.” Corvus answered confidently, his voice low

“I’ll take you again and again, until you’ve fainted from pleasure” he told her, giving an almost comedic yelp as Proxima took his wrist harshly in her fist

“I. Do Not. Faint. Never Have!” she hissed dangerously,

Corvus chuckled meeting her eyes, his own flashed dangerously as he stated cahllengingly 

“You know as well as I, my love that THAT is entirely untrue.

Admire crept across predatory features as he leant closer to her 

"Allow me to prove it" he crooned

Proxima’s eyes widened, her species unable to blush but her expression said more than enough, she dropped Corvus wrist.

While Nebula was about to ask her older sister what they were talking about, but Gamora, whether it was the ridiculousness of the idea that Proxima Midnight would faint, or the idea that the fierce, emotionless warrior COULD faint was so amusing that Gamora chuckled. Out loud.

She, Nebula, Proxima and Corvus froze, Gamora scrambled to her feet, grabbing Nebula

“Run!” she hissed.

By the time Proxima and Corvus reached the top of the spiral staircase the younger girls had disappeared around the nearest corner. After glancing around for a moment and seeing no one, Proxima and Corvus made their way to their chambers, the steel doors shutting loudly

Chapter 63: REWARD*

Summary:

Proxima accepts her place as part of Thanos' Black Order.

Notes:

Ok, this is pretty short compared to my other chapters, but I've had this little nugget rattling around my notes for ages, and I wanted to work on something Proxivus related, since it's been a while, so I decided to a little touching up and put it here

Chapter Text

On her knees before Thanos, Proxima listened as he gave praise to her fighting skills, and assured her that the partial destruction of the targeted planet would only benefit the previously  dying planet and it’s starving people; less people meant more resources to go around to the survivors. 

In her time aboard the Sanctuary 2, Proxima had done everything possible to prove herself worthy enough to be given a place in THanos’ elite army, a General of his Black Order.

As the end of  her period of probation had been reaching its end, Proximas’ ultimate test of loyalty and skill development was called upon: another planet was in need of cleansing.

It had been none-other than  Rhaenys Five – Proxima’s former home, though, it had been several years since she’d considered it as such.

As a Stadium fighter on Sakaar Proxima Midnight had been good; under Thanos command she thrived., and half the population of Rhaenys Five fell in less than a day.

Finally, Thanos ordered her to her feet and told her to approach, Proxima kept her nerve and did so, taking three large steps forward.

Thanos gestured with  one hand, and a Chitauri servant stepped forward, awkwardly carrying a long wooden chest in his arms, which he was partially hunched over, sue to the weight.

The chest was placed at Proxima’s feet, the Chitauri opened it before backing away, retreating into the shadows, out of sight. 

Thanos spoke as Proxima looked down at the contents,

“This was the last trial requested of you, and as I expected you have proven yourself a loyal and capable addition to the Order. This is your reward, take it, and use it well, Proxima Midnight. You are now a full-fledged General of the Black Order.”.

Proxima couldn’t contain her pride and excitement as she picked up the weapon she’d been presented with.

In her hand was  silver spear with three prongs protruding from the top which hummed as it awakened with a warm blue glow. 

Thanos went on to explain that this rare weapon had the ability to  launch powerful blasts of energy, which pinned an opponent down with the crushing weight of a star.

Yet as Proxima twirled it in one hand to test its weight it just felt right, it was made for her and her alone.

Chapter 64: The L Word

Summary:

Proxima muses on the bond she shares with Corvus.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

In the relative quiet of the Q ship,  Corvus Glaive sighed heavily as he ended the holo-call with his master. Proxima moved to his side,  she could practically feel her husbands’ stress and exhaustion. She approached with a very similar air of intent and purpose as she did in battle, only now she moved in utter silence, with the careful tread and calculated step of some ethereal being. 

A simple touch of her fingers on his shoulder was enough to ease at least some of his tension which had been knotting its way through, what felt like, every muscle his body possessed.

 She let her hand linger at the slope of his right shoulder as she bent, just enough to brush a her lips to his left temple before

“How did it go?”

Her tone was quiet and curious; completely lacking the harsh, commanding edge with which she had led their legions of Outriders and Chitauri.

Corvus didn’t look up, but took the hand which Proxima had allowed to linger on his shoulder as she drifted to stand at his side

“Thanos is far from pleased, but he took it better than expected, I will admit. He is preoccupied with the success  which Obsidian and The Maw brought in their own task, which apparently reaped far more success than our own.” 

Proxima made a derisive sound in her throat

“of course (!)  Leave it to the Maw to never fail our master” she quipped.

She despised the back-stabbing telekinetic, and rarely, if ever,  made any attempt to conceal it. She eased her hand from his and gradually began to massage his neck, shoulders and what parts of his upper back she could reach over the chairs backrest. 

Digging her fingertips into the knots of stress and tension she could feel, until she felt them ease and Corvus began to relax, she bit back a chuckle at the pleased chittering sounds he'd started to make, and kissed the side of his head, just above where she had done so before

The wound was only about the size of Proximas' smallest finger, and she knew the skin would already be knitting itself back together as they spoke, but the area around it was thickly stained with blood, and it was still bleeding, albeit lazily.

She moved just as silently as before as she made her way to the washroom at the back of the ship, and Corvus surmised that she had removed her footwear.

She returned with a damp wash wash rag in hand.bringing the damp rag to Corvus fave, ridding the grey wrinkled skin of dried dust grime and blood

Corvus' expression showed no surprise, but he spoke with a calculating curiosity

*you know there is no need. I'm invulnerable to infection and the wound is almost healed...*

Proxima didn't stop or show any sign that she'd heard,  but she responded in a distracted tone

*I know, it’s just...yours is the only blood I take absolutely no pleasure in seeing.*

Corvus waited for to pause her actions, before taking her wrist gently, causing her to become concerned

*My love, did I...?*

She knew it was ridiculous to ask, but it was instinctual.

Corvus simply turned, just enough to meet her gaze, a soft smile graced with lips.

“Never” 

The rag fell to the floor, and he turned her wrist to kiss the palm of her hand, then the inside of her wrist, closing his eyes momentarily. 

He opened them to lock eyes with Proxima, who was biting back a small, soft smile of her own

"Yours is the only blood that I cannot stand to see."

Smirking slightly Corvus got to his feet, threading his fingers through hers once again

“And what of your own?"

Proxima chuckled

“you know very well what I meant…”

Corvus tucked a story lock of navy colored hair from her face

“I was being serious. I sometimes wonder if you have as much devotion to your own life as you do to mine...despite the obvious…”

He glanced at his multi bladed glaive.

Proxima sighed but retained her easy smile, too weary for an argument at this time

“Rest assured, I do not plan on letting myself become no more than a stain on the ground for many many years yet…”

Corvus nudged his now cleaned, and almost healed forehead to hers

“And even if you did decide to allow such a heinous thing to happen, I most certainly will not.* he insisted.

“Even should every star fall from the skies and the galaxies themselves implode.”

He didn't wait for Proxima to respond, not that she even attempted to, before pressing his lips firmly to hers in a possessive yet loving kiss that quickly grew in passion and intensity, as things often tended to do for the amorous couple.

Corvus hand untangled itself from hers to tenderly stroke and then cup her cheek. Proxima, who responded with eagerness, moaned and slid her arms around his neck, leeching the heat from his body against her own.

His hands found her waist for several moments before they reluctantly parted.

Proxima left far softer kiss on her husbands lips before speaking

“Shower with me? Then I suppose we should rest while we are able.”

Corvus, with his fingers kneading the flesh of her curvaceous hips, replied

“Am I to deny the most beautiful creature in the Galaxy..?*

Proxima smirked proudly, taking a step back and  leading Corvus by the hand to the washroom.

 

After a brief shower, the pair retreated to the small bed occupying the back of the Q ship, continuing their previous passionate exchanges, until exhaustion and finally, sleep, claimed them.

Proximas' eyes opened in that slow, unhurried way they always did as she forced herself to wake from a deep, restful sleep. Her mouth curled into a lazy half smile upon seeing Corvus lying there, facing her, his body mirroring  almost perfectly mirroring her position, lying on their sides, each facing their partner, arms slightly akimo, and resting in the small space separating them.

She resisted the instinct to move, to stretch out the tug of lethargy that pulled at her limbs, instead she remained still, savoring the moment of silence that was interrupted only by ordinary rumble of engines, and the drone of the ships ventilation and heating systems. 

Of course she had woken, not only to his presence, but his touch; his leg pushed between her thighs, warming her skin with his own, fingers barely brushing the tips of hers. Such simple touches were barely a whisper in comparison to the hungry, eager exchanges they had shared before letting sleep claim them upon stepping out of the shower.

Yet Proxima pondered the possibility that it almost held a higher level of intimacy than even the most passionate, lust-fueled acts which often ignited and served as an epilogue to their nights, nights so often spent encased in the addictive pleasures of each others bodies.

After all, it had started out that way, had it not?  Each using the other as little more than a means to an end; the rush of lust and physical need for release. 

Then...with the passing of time, in a change so  agonizingly subtle that she had been sure he would lose interest and patience, Proxima Midnight had come to realise, acknowledge and finally accept that she, like Corvus, had come to crave so much more than  just sating that primal physical hunger.

She’d never imagined ever even being capable of such feelings for another, yet here she lay, side by side with her husband, who embraced everything about her...the scars: physical, mental, emotional… each and every one, her combative, often silent nature, yet he loved her with an adoration, a worship, almost, that she found...intimidating at times, because she wondered, with a self-criticizing doubt, which he would no doubt scold her for if he ever to discover these private thoughts, whether her depictions of her feelings for him could ever come close to replicating them so fluently as Corvus’ seemed to portray his own.

Corvus, eloquent as he was, had commented more than once,  when they were alone in their chambers and the conversation happened to veer into the subject, that the word ‘love’ seemed so...ineffectual, so weak when compared to what they had. 

In the present the sound of her name on her husbands lips didn't startle her, but the raised volume did make her turn sharply. 

Nonetheless, as though the few inches of empty space that separated them in the small double bed they shared, was too much to stand, Corvus shifted closer 

“You've been silent for a long while. What is it?"

Proxima relaxed, understanding now that he had been trying to obtain her attention, and had most likely uttered her name several times without her realizing until now.

She let her fingers trail over the back of his hand, occasionally moving to entwine her fingers with his, only to avert her touch slightly at the last moment several times.

“Thinking. Just thinking” 

Corvus remained still but watched her hand with interest

“You are well aware how dangerous that can be” he quipped.

Proxima smirked, rolling her eyes, and her head and finally her body in order to turn lazily in his direction. 

The hand which had been mapping a path over his hand, went to support her head, while her free hand did what she had avoided before, and slowly thread her fingers with his

“Your wit is as sharp as your claws, my love”

Corvus' expression became slightly more serious 

*And do you care to tell what troubles you, My Midnight?”

Proxima shook her head, chuckling under her breath at his genuine concern 

“You misunderstand me. Perhaps thinking wasn't quite the right term...musing would be more accurate, though just as dangerous I suppose” she added thoughtfully.

“But I shall tell you later. For now, may we just stay here, like this, for a while longer?” 

Although slightly taken aback by the request, as Proxima rarely ever requested something like this verbally, since she knew he would concede without question.

Still, his lean arms folded around her firmly

“Of course. We’ve a while yet…and I’ve not the willpower to move as yet.”

He felt Proxima smile against his bare chest, and she felt his long fingers and claws thread through navy tresses of her hair. Kissing his temple she realised no longer tasted of sweat, dirt, or her husbands own oil-y blood but of him, just him

"I'm...so very in love with you, my husband" 

A series of contented clicks vibrated from Corvus' throat

"As I am with you, My Midnight Star."

Not wanting to say anything more, nor give him the pleasure of seeing the way the private endearment forced her features to soften, or the soft smile unfitting for a warrior such as herself rise to her lips, Proxima pressed herself more firmly against his side, inhaling his scent, and her entire body relaxed in tandem with her exhale.

The word ‘love’ seemed so...ineffectual, so weak when compared to what they had.

Proxima could not disagree.

Notes:

More drabble than oneshot but uploading something OTP related on valentines seemed fitting

Chapter 65: ONEIROPHRENIA

Summary:

He would, and has, died for his brother, he has died for Thanos. But he would live for her.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 Corvus couldn’t recall ever dreaming, not once. But then…he often felt that he’d lived a dozen or more lifetimes since his childhood, short lived though it was after his father abandoned him and his mother and the responsibility of providing for them had fallen to him, so perhaps any vague recollection of nightly visions pr sensations while he slept had been long forgotten.

His attitude to blood and violence, even at a young age, could be described as nothing more, and nothing less, than stoic. Barely blinking at the sight of it spearing the ground where his prey had fallen, taking no notice as he felt the warmth of it creep across his flesh as he skinned the beast he had brought down, and the final piercing death rattle of said beast never even  made him flinch.

Corvus Glaive shifts, not asleep, just dozing, a memory of long ago drifting in the forefront of his subconscious.

The only time blood had ever affected him had been when the blood staining the floor of their home, the blood he’d come close to slipping on, the echos of a final cry he’d heard from the field behind the house, had been those of one closest to him. He’d returned from an interrupted, unsuccessful hunt, to find his mother, lying on the stone floor, slaughtered.

‘What did I do…’

He can feel it, the pool of blood at his feet, the scent of it in the air, the taste of it on his own tongue when he’d bitten down to force himself to stop from screaming…

He jolts and sits up, his chest feeling as though it’s just taken a blow from Cull Obsidians hammer, Corvus sits, eyes flashing in the darkness as he regains his barings…

‘What did I ever do…’

Alarmed, Proxima sits up, supporting her weight with one arm, in her free hand she is clutching the sword she keeps beneath her side of the bed

“What is it? What's the matter?”

He clenches clawed hands so that she doesn’t notice the tremble in his fingers

“A dream…” 

He isn’t even certain he is awake yet, the edges of his mind threaten to pull him under. He’s questioned countless times…what he could ever have done to deserve her, fearing he might wake to find this...what they had...that she herself...had been nothing but a dream, delightful yet cruel. A hallucination in his minds’ eye as his body revives itself and knit itself back together for the hundredth time. 

He cannot truly be deserving of her in any other form…

Proxima, comprehending that  there was no physical threat to deal with, took in her husbands’ profile, fanged and terrifying to most, but not her. Slipping her sword back to its place beneath the raised iron bed frame, she is far from comforted by the statement 

“My love, you don't sleep…do not dream…” 

He exhales, turning his head, to avoid her eyes while sounding more exhausted than he ever has 

“I’m fine, just leave it alone…”

He speaks to her in a tone, more distant and cold than he ever has before, made worse by the tinges of exhaustion that threatened his sentence.

Proxima cannot deny that it worries her, scares her even. As though sensing this, Corvus speak, still refusing, however unconsciously, to look at her

“Not a dream perhaps, voices, my own thoughts…” he admits.

He cannot tell her that the blood in his minds eye had been blue rather than black, the figure lying dead a few feet from him had possessed navy hair and horns, traits most certainly not associated with his species, while painfully familia amber eyes had stared, blank and lifeless, into his face.

Proxima, with an expression that suggests he has spoken in riddles, frowns as she shifts closer, lays a hand at the center of his back and  kissing his cheek softly  once, twice, three times before pulling away

“Can you tell me?”

Resting her other hand on his forearm, she waits for him; waits for him to...To what? She didn’t know, but she would wait as long as he needed her to.

‘What did I ever do to deserve you?’

He answers her with unnerving, uncharacteristic silence; if only his mind, echoing with remnants of a dreamlike a memory, dragged from the depths of his mind, had been so inclined. Corvus places a hand over the one resting on his forearm, letting her know, for once without words, that he needs her, needs her closeness. 

Proxima whispers to him in the dark of their private chambers

“My love. You can speak freely with me. If I can help, you need only ask. You can ask anything of me..." 

Her voice is too soft, too full of concern, not unlike the look she has during the time she spends awaiting his return during the times his life is claimed by their enemies. She knows the glaive will return him to her, his loss still cuts her more profusely than  any knife, any sword. Just as the worry etched in her features, the tears she still sheds upon his demise, cut into him upon his return.

 If he were to lose her, how would his own reaction compare?

I never want to find out

He’s so lost in thought, concentrating on re-focusing his sense to the present, that he didn’t see her reach for the touch-activated dome light  above them, and Corvus suddenly hisses in warning as the soft glow illuminates the room, not quite reaching the corners where the shadows retreated from the light.

Unlike most sensible creatures would, she doesn’t back off, instead she embraces him, replacing the suffocating, crushing weight, with her own familiar, calming presence

“My love, where are you?” she whispers, fingers playing across his flesh.

His hold on her arm tightens

“Elsewhere, it seems.” he stated quietly. 

She sighs lightly, without a trace of frustration

“I’m here, always.” 

He wants to reply, but the words stick in his throat, his hold on her arm tightens as he focuses on the feel of her, her scent, the whisper of her native language at his ear, even though, in his current state, he cannot focus enough to translate, but it is reassuring nonetheless.

 After all, how many times has she coaxed him back from the brink of life and death, when he’d felt the futility of existence, pointlessness of his own immortality, only to have Proxima pull him back, to life, to her.

He would, and has, died for his brother, he has died for Thanos. But he would live for her.

He has lost his life many times, but perhaps only a handful in their time together...he isn't so willing to launch himself into insurvivable situations as he once had been, many years ago. In service of himself, for some fleeting sense of reprieve, or in service to a master who constantly demands reassurance of his followers' loyalty. 

He has taken the lives of others countless more in comparison, but to lose hers…She is resilient, as they all are, but she is not immortal, has no weapon to bind her to the universe as his glaive does him.

She shifts beside him

“I love you, I, perhaps, do not say it enough, but I do, and hope that you know that…” 

He grunts but finally does respond with words

“I do. And you show it in abundance, my Lady Midnight” 

“And you love me.” 

This isn’t a question, but a statement, clear and direct,  and somehow it  shakes him from the lingering dream-like fog in his mind, he turn to cup her cheeks, mindful of his claws

“Undoubtedly, unquestionably - always.” 

She chuckles softly, relieved that he has at last replied

“There you are, my husband, impervious creature that you are” 

Without another word, she guides him to lie with her, keeping him close, and his arm encircles her torso, holding her to him; to keep her near is to keep his thoughts at bay.

‘I never want to find out what it is to lose you, but here and now, I don’t have to’

Notes:

 Oneirophrenia= Dream-like state that can lead to hallucinations and/ or confusion. Feelings and emotions are often disturbed but information from the senses is left intact.

Chapter 66: TRAPPED*

Summary:

even in the vast expanses of Space, occasional failures and malfunctions were unavoidable, if not inevitable. 

Chapter Text

 The mission had been little more than disastrous; victory had, thankfully, been clawed from the jaws of their enemies with more effort and more casualties than anticipated.  

This, coupled with the scathing reprimand from Thanos, under threat of physical punishment if such mistakes ever jeopardise an assignment again, and the receding rush of adrenaline stoked by blood and battle, Proxima and Corvus’ unvented frustrations all reached boiling point and a second war had been ignited; this time one of verbal rather than physical onslaughts.

Proxima snarled in anger at her husband

“What are you complaining about, had I not acted, failure was imminent!? I brought Thanos the heads of those that would disobey his demands!” 

Corvus made a derisive sound 

“Indeed, almost losing your own in the process!” 

She countered with an eye roll

“Corvus, I can make my own decisions. I do not need you badgering, nit-picking and complaining at my ear constantly! My abilities in combat are far from inferior to your own, I am a General of THanos just as you are…”

Corvus glared at her

“You think I  am unaware of that fact, when you remind me every damn day?” 

Proxima angled her head with a mocking tone in her voice

“If you did not insist on acting to the contrary I would not need to remind you! fottuto idiota…”

Without warning the elevator shuddered and the lighting system flickered, interrupting the pairs disagreement

Now, part of the Sanctuary 2s’ success in its’ position as one of the Galaxys’ most recognisable and feared Warships in the galaxy: other than its speed and imposing frame, its’ excessive weaponry including multiple blaster cannons which could rain death upon entier armies from the skies, then there was its’ layers upon layers of external steel and titanium plated armour, not to mention the Ships' incredibly advanced computing and communication systems, and its’ commander, the Great Titan Thanos. 

However , even in the vast expanses of Space, with the Sanctuaries' well maintained, high quality electrical and technological systems, occasional failures and malfunctions were unavoidable, if not  inevitable. 

They glanced around the elevator, Proxima was the first to speak 

“What was-” 

Corvus interjected 

“A lighting malfunction I don’t doubt.”

Proximas eyes settled back on her husband with a accepting sound

“Huh, Fine. Where were we?” 

Idiota ” Corvus informed, in Rhynarian

Proxima nodded 

“Right… “Fottuto idiota! You claim to be fully aware of abilities yet you insist on treating me as though I have the skillset of a lowly foot soldier, an Outrider, even!” she snapped in irritation.

 Corvus cut her off

“Rather hypocritical considering your behaviour today!”

Proxima, unfazed, met his gaze with her own; her eyes burned with fiery anger

“You place the blame of todays’ disaster on me-?!”

She was interrupted once again  when the elevator jolted once more, coming to such a sudden stop, and while Corvus had braced a hand against the wall in time. Proxima had not been so quick, and Corvus  instinctively reached to prevent her from tumbling to the floor.

“What’s going on?!” 

Once she’d steadied herself, she let go.

Regaining his balance and his bearings,Corvus activated his communication band in an attempt to make contact with Cull, The Maw, or anyone who would be able to shed information on the matter at hand

“No signal. We will simply have to wait.” 

As he said this he knelt by her feet, and slipped two fingers between the material of Proximas' battle suit and her ankle, his ear pricked as they registered the sound of Proxima gritting her teeth

“It’s already swollen, more so than when we departed the Q-ship…” 

Yet she protested 

“I’ve suffered worse” 

Corvus shrugged his cloak from his shoulders

“That I do not deny, many time due to your own recklessness” 

There was more bite to his tone than he intended, and after finishing his assessment of his lovers injury, continued in a more measured way

“There is nothing to be done for the swelling for now, and the material will only continue to tighten and begin to affect the blood flow to the rest of your foot...that will lead to far more serious issues if left for much longer.”

He produced the dagger he kept strapped to his belt and without another word, began to cut away the leg of Proximas’ suit from the knee downwards, taking great care not to jolt her injured foot or catch her skin with the blade.

Proxima smothered a chuckle, he paused and  lifted his gaze, mistaking the sound for one of pain, only to be greeted by the sight of her full, black lips curling into a smile

“I suppose it isn’t the first time we’ve done this, though I recall the last time being infinitely more pleasurable” 

Her words dripped with a not so subtle suggestive undertone and Corvus chuckled in amusement. Of course only she would bring up such things at a time like this.

Proxima watched as Corvus finished the task of removing the torn strips of leather from her leg in order to remove any sort of restriction from her injured ankle

“You’re so good to me” she murmured with utter sincerity, with a hint of fascination.

This soft utterance drew Corvus’ eyes from checking over her injury, her  statement came with a softening of Proximas’ eyes which only Corvus had ever been graced with the honour of seeing. No one had ever held her in the high regard which Corvus did, and it still…unsettled her in some ways sometimes.

Proxima had learnt long before starting her life aboard the Sanctuary 2 that when you were injured, you were vulnerable, and the only person one should trust with your injury was yourself if you could help it, this had led to Proxima being rather...reactive when she found herself sustaining any kind of injury, so when Corvus accidently pressed too hard on a particularly tender area of her ankle, Proxima made a pained sound, and kicked outward without thinking.

Corvus grunted loudly when her foot hit him square in the chest, but otherwise, he didn’t react. 

She winced at the The flair of pain that shot up her leg, as she had used her injured foot to kick out so defensively 

“Sorry, instinct!”

Corvus smirked

“Your reflexes are clearly unhindered at least” 

Corvus positioned himself on the floor beside his lover as Proxima rolled her eyes and sighed as she silently resigned herself to a handful of days on light duty and training - if she didn't let the injury heal properly it would only lead to further, more serious issues in the long run.

“I must admit I’ve often yearned for the talent for regeneration that you have, my love” she stated absently. 

Corvus tensed so hard, and so sharply, that he was sure that she felt it

“You do not, my Midnight. I assure you, you do not” 

He hadn’t meant to snap, but her carefless comment irked him.

Proxima, confused by his reaction, continued, now more aware of her choice of words 

“You so rarely speak of it...is it really so terrible, to never have to feel the trepidation of your next battle being your last?”

“Midnight…” 

The hard edge in his tone made her fall silent, and her entire body tensed as she immediately became defensive.  To her recollection, Corvus was always incredibly vague, even non-committal when it came to the abilities granted to him by the glaive he kept close by at all times. 

The following silence came crashing down between them, and Corvus stared ahead of him; blood red eyes on the verge of piercing a hole right through the layers of steel that made up the walls of the elevator.

 Proxima wanted to attempt a joke regarding the convenience of such a feat, as they would perhaps be able to escape through said hole and leave the malfunctioning elevator sooner, though, evidently, now was not the time.

Corvus felt her fingers skate over his knuckles as though pondering whether to attempt to initiate contact, given his irritation

“I did not  mean to agitate you.” she ventured, cautiously

Corvus turned his hand so that his fingers could encircle her own

“I know, my Midnight.”

His tone did nothing to ease her tension however, and Proxima continued

“Surely you cannot fault me for desiring such an invaluable ability.” 

Corvus, sensing that this conversation was happening whether he like it or not, sighed in defeat

“Understand, Midnight, as practical as such an ability is given our lifestyle, there are times it becomes almost…a disappointment, waking to find that, what should have been your lifes’ natural end, has been denied.”

Proximas’ head snapped in his direction, eyes slightly widened, she didn’t like where this was going, as it was clear what her partner was trying to say, or avoid saying.

“Are you saying…that you wish the glaive would fail you, that you’d prefer to remain dead?” she questioned quietly.

Corvus lent his head back against the wall

“Understand, Midnight, when you have died, only to respawn more times than you can count, over more years than should ever be possible, it tends to become rather monotonous, even when your life has ended in some of the most unpleasant, unnatural ways the universe can devise…occasionally, true death begins to appeal more and more.”

He paused before adding 

“You must not let on to Cull. Let’s just say I have a…history, for testing the glaives effectiveness.” he admitted..

Proxima froze, taking in his words

“I had no idea” 

Corvus huffed humorously

“You had no need to. And it’s been many years since I last conducted such experiments upon myself, however it has left Cull with some…trust issues, shall we say, and, I cannot say I blame him.” 

Proxima fought the urge to fidget

“How long?” she asked quietly.

Corvus looked to her with slanted eyes as he had been resting them shut until she had spoken 

“Hm?” 

“How long since you….tried anything?”  She sounded oddly subdued but did nothing to attempt to hide it.

Feeling his gaze on her as he remained silent, she turned her head to meet his eyes

“Since you agreed to be mine” 

She scoffed without thinking

“I was being serious” she chided

Corvus didn’t move, didn’t blink

“So was I. Life has become far less boring since I found you.”

He, of course, referred to their first meeting in the cells below the' fighting pits of Sakkar

Seeing the almost painful sincerity in his expression, Proxima almost physically jolted as a feeling, like being punched in the chest without having the chance to guard hit her full force

“Corvus…what do you expect me to say to that?” she asked with caution, keeping her tone low

Corvus smirked

“You need say nothing at all. I expect nothing but whatever you wish to give me, Proxima Midnight.” 

Her lips claim his in a fierce kiss, replying to his declaration in the best way she knows: physically. He is far better with words than she, yet she answers by putting any and all emotion she can into the exchange. 

She felt him submit, letting her dominate, he moaned  as his hands found her waist as she slipped her leg over his lap to straddle him. He pulls back suddenly

“Doesn’t that pain you, my Midnight?” 

Her ankle is still injured after all, and she is very much aware of that fact, given their position, yet she ignored it

“You are very much worth it” 

With both hands grasping his shoulders, she reunited their mouths,  silencing his half-hearted attempt at protesting, due to her injury, but the feel of her body pressed against his, her tongue demanding passage past his willing lips, his words are quickly forgotten. 

 

Time itself fades from significance, they didn’t even fully register the elevator moving to the nearest floor, and the pair are still very much engaged in their exchange when a loud bang, and following clatter made them jump in surprise, watching the titanium doors be forced open by a pair of large, rocky-looking hands.

Once the doors had been successfully forced open, Cull Obsidian froze at the scene before him, his brother, and brothers lover, appeared significantly dishevelled, with Proxima straddling the former, her suit half undone, hair messed with Corvus clawed hand still buried into long tresses of navy blue, his cloak had been shoved from his shoulders, and his other hand remained on his partners’ hip - the appearance of the larger member of the Order had caught them too off guard for them to correct themselves in time.

Obsidian growled, waving a hand

“I don’t want to know. The elevators are running sufficiently, everything seems to be in working order again”

With their cheeks touching, the couple, recovering from the surprise of being interrupted, smirked

Corvus kneaded Proximas’ hip absently 

“Does Thanos require our presence, brother?” 

His sibling by blood frowned

“He doesn’t” 

Proxima then added

“Then do you mind?” 

She made a shoo-ing gesture, and Obsidian rolled his eyes, along with his body, as he turned his back to the amorous couple, intentionally slamming the elevator doors a little harder than necessary.

It wasn’t the first time he’d walked in on such a situation, at least this time both parties were fully dressed this time, but there was something very different between walking in on Corvus and some nameless, forgettable brothel worker, to a fellow, fearsome member of Thanos’ Black Order.

At least his brother seemed happier since taking Proxima Midnight as his bed-partner, and now exclusive lover.

Hearing Culls’ heavy footfalls receding behind the doors, Proxima, who had tucked her head beneath Corvus’ chin, chuckled, and lent her chin to the groove of his sternum

“Where were we?” she wondered out loud, fingers tracing his gaunt cheekbones

Corvus, with his eyes focused on her, grasped her wrist

“I’m sure we can find out…”

She welcomed his mouth to hers, slipping her arms around his neck as his hand grip her waist possessively

Perhaps certain technical failures on such a large warship had some benefits after all.

Chapter 67: STRUGGLE

Summary:

This chapter is for the wonderfuly kind MidnightRebel999, who sent me some requests!

I decided to combine two of these into one chapter

2) Proxima struggling with random waves of depression, Corvus is out on a mission, leaving Thanos to pick up the pieces and comfort her.

4) Proxima vs Maw

Notes:

Want to thank Ilya-Boltagon for helping me with this chapter, particularly the dialogue which was seriously kicking my butt as I'm not a great Thanos writer lol

Chapter Text

Proxima sprinted forward, dragging the lowest point of the handle of her spear along the ground, flinging clusters of earth and rock in The Maws’ direction, which he easily avoided, using his telekinetic abilities to redirect virtually all of the debris soaring straight back at her, Proxima had darted in a half circle around him, swinging her spear to defend herself from the redirected attack, it didn;t feel right using her right hand but she had no choice, she grunted  as several shards of rock hit her face, the Maw swerved effortlessly to one side, avoiding the swing of her spear. 

Proxima was still recovering from the horrific injuries sustained on a mission several months ago, during which her left arm and leg had been badly burned and would be permanently scared.

For 22 hours a day the limbs were bandaged, and, due to the severity of her injuries, she was unable to wear clothing that covered her limbs, particularly during the short time the bandages were left off to let the wounds and skin breath, therefore her battle suit had to be altered, with  the left arm and right leg having been cut away.

The Maw knocked her spear from her hand, before send Proxima herself sailing backwards through the air.  Proxima got to her feet, wordlessly recalling her spear to hand, as her telekinetic opponent weaved his hands through the air, level with his chest, uprooting pieces of the stone floor stone floor, sending the pieces hurtling towards her. 

Proxima twirled and manoeuvred her spear, using it to redirect and defect the onslaught of stone shards being relentlessly thrown her way.  As soon as she was within range, Proxima ran, still narrowly avoiding most of the debris the Maw was still launching her way.

After a brief running start, Proxima leapt through the air, and as soon as she felt  resistance as the Maw moved to stop the spear in her hand from coming down, she let go of the handle, letting herself fall to her hands and knees, immediately swiping her legs under his. The Maw grunted as he landed flat on his back against the stone floors, at the last moment , enraged, he used his powers to halt Proximas’ fist before it could land its intended blow to his face. 

With a wave of his hand, the Maw bent Proximas’ right arm behind her back, pressing her hand, the one holding her spear, into her lower spine, gliding to his feet with an expression of cold, emotionless fury while shoving her, face first into the wall, all without so much as laying a finger on her. 

The pressure of the wall against her body increased, making Proxima groan in pain, feeling like the Maw was about to push her straight through to the other side (a near impossible feat due to the thickness and strength of said wall)

 

“Yield, I yield!” she snarled reluctantly. 

 

The pressure was released, and her arm freed, Proxima caught herself against the wall before her knees could give way, she wiped a trickle of blood from the corner of her mouth as the Maw, with the subtlest, but most aggravating smirk gracing his thin lips as he glided backward a few paces. Holding her weapon loosely at her side, Proxima limped silently to the sidelines, as far from The Ebony Maw as possible. 

 

Corvus, seeing Proxima  looking uncharacteristically dejected despite her effort to conceal it. But before he can move to her side, he, along with Cull and The Maw, were ordered to prepare to leave for their next assignment. Proxima heard this and moved to follow in order to do the same.

 

However, Thanos held up a hand to stop her

 

“Your injuries still have not healed sufficiently, until then  you will not be required during missions.” 

 

Proxima felt indignation roil in her gut

 

“Father…”

 

His head snapped back 

 

“Enough!”

 

She lowered her head in respect, even as humiliation and  embarrassment  rushing through her veins at the looks on her siblings faces, sympathy from Corvus, of course, empathy from Cull, if one looked hard enough at his thick, rocky features, and a smirk of triumph and sadistic pleasure on the Maw. It infuriated her, bu Proxima nodded once at Thanos, putting her fist over her heart

 

“As you command, Father”  

 

Thanos, along with the others, left the training room, leaving her alone. Proxima looked down at her left arm, glaring in disgust at her injuries. Watching them leave, Proxima felt her shame and embarrassment turned to anger, and Proxima locked the training room door from the inside, and began pressing buttons on the panel to set up her own personal training session.

 

Her siblings had been gone for two days, and Proxima spent as much of her time in the training rooms as possible, battling  practice drones, testing her endurance in varying temperatures, perfecting various acrobatics and melee tactics. 

 

Her body trembled from yet another three hour session, yet Proxima refused to stop yet, bringing down her spear through a practice drone.

 

Breathing heavily, she watched another, renewed, set of practise drone revealing themselves, fueled mostly by adrenaline by this point. Proxima picked up her spear, with her left hand even though she knew the limb wasn’t ready, and threw herself at the drones.  

Training helped her forget, forget how much pain she was forced to be in every day, how incompetent her injuries made her seem now. She wasn’t going let her damaged limbs affect her… she wouldn’t let them make her feel weak, she refused! 

Weakness would not be tolerated in the Black Order…weakness meant you were useless…Suddenly Proxima realised  how heavy her damaged limbs felt, no, her entire body felt heavy… too heavy…

 

‘Whack !’ 

 

Proxima hadn’t seen the blow coming, but a drone wielding some form of club had swung at her, sending Proxima hurtling through the are before landing and rolling twice scross the floor.

 

‘Weak! Useless!’ 

 

It was as though the floodgates had ruptured, and the emotions she so diligently kept in check could no longer be contained. 

 

‘Worthless! A Liability! Disgusting!’

 

The memory of being pinned down by that burning pillar flashed in her mind, like nothing she’d ever felt…it was as though she was there again! She could smell and taste the smoke, feel the heat of the flames lapping at her flesh…

 

Lunging, Proxima drove her spear into the wall of the training room, feeling her chest tighten, she coughed and sputtered while trying to remain awake… She had to prove she could still keep pace with the other, that she could still be of use to their master…if she didn’t…A fearful sound escaped 

her throat as he stumbled, falling against the wall but using her arms to hold herself up, head hanging between them. 

 

She breathed heavily, fighting to ground herself, reminding herself that she wasn’t back there, she wasn’t trapped, she wasn’t surrounded by fire and flames or suffocating on acrid smoke invading her lungs, Corvus had pulled her out, and her limbs had been saved, enough to not have to be amputated and replaced.

Turning to lean against the wall, slowly sliding down to sit on the ground Proxima pushed her hair back from her face, where it had clung to her perspiring forehead, taking several more deep breath she clawed back her control. 

Once calm, she  fiercely wiped her eyes, bending to pick up her spear, using her left hand, which was a mistake.

Proxima swore viciously over the loud clatter the weapon made against the floor, and as she reached for it once more, her eyes happened to dart to the doorway, only to find Thanos standing just inside the training room watching her with a mask of cold indifference.

Shocked, Proxima  quickly attempted to stand, in order to greet her master respectfully and move to bow, unbearable pain shot through her leg, causing her to collapse to her hands and knees, with her head down In shame for a moment, before forcing herself up, leaning on the wall for support.

Finally able to stand without the support of the wall, Proxima kept her gaze lowered

“Father, I apologise. I was…I have no excuse.” 

He had seen, and there was nothing to be done about that.

All the while, Thanos had stood, composed and completely still before walking with measured steps toward his Black Order  General. 

Stopping about a foot before Proxima, he lifted a hand, and Proxima tensed, crushing her eyes closed as she prepared for her punishment for losing her composure in such a manner.

The heavy weight of Thanos’ large hand rested on her head and…

Nothing more.

He then spoke

“Emotion can get the best of us at times, Proxima Midnight.” he stated.

Slowly realizing, and trusting that he, in fact, was not going to remove her head from her body with his bare hand, Proximas’ eyes opened and she lifted her head, still surprised at the show of understanding. 

“You’re bleeding.” 

There was a trickle of dark blue running from her temple, and Proxima winced when THanos’ large thumb pressed around the edge of the wound, which he’d miraculously been able to find against the black marking across her forehead and blending into her hairline.

Thanos removed his hand, watching as she wiped away the blood, letting it stain her fingers, staring at it rather than look at him. 

“II should be above such weaknesses” she snarled in a harsh, self critical manner. 

Her hand fell to her side, curling it into a fist meant she  spread her own blood between her fingers, she paid the sensation no mind as her eyes threatened to bore holes in wall to her right.

At least she could still feel, no nerve damage had been done in that sense.

Thanos made a sound of amusement, looking across the training to at the wall far behind Proxima, noting the damaged and mutilated practice drones  

“ You think your siblings to be  weak, or myself…?”

Feling that she's over-stepped, Proximas’ head snapped up, her body went rigid

“No! No, Father I never meant to imply…”

Thanos looked at her pointedly, but not angrily, and repeated

“Emotion can best us all at times, even those you deem themselves above such things. To dwell on your failure is to invite it, Proxima Midnight, do not be so naive to think that none of us have done so.”

Thanos' eyes' scanned over the burns and scars

"You have served me well since your introduction into the Order Proxima Midnight, and I reward the loyalty of my closest Generals. I will look into manufacturing a suitable protective armor for your damaged limbs, armor that will fabricate the strength your limbs have lost."

Proxima was surprised, but felt relieved

"Can such a thing be done?"

She hoped her tone was as neutral as she'd intended rather than giving away the feeling of hopeful yearning she truly felt. 

Thanos brought his index finger and thumb to his chin

"I believe so. The Maws' skill in technology will certainly be of use." 

Proxima wanted to screw up her face and scoff, but she resisted.

Thanos' tone morphed from thoughtful as he mulled over steadily forming plans for the creation of the armour Proxima would need, instead he went on firmly, speaking with no-room for argument or negotiation 

“On the condition that, until then, rather than dwell on past errors, I expect you to work to maintain your skill and improve on it despite your…physical limitations. You may consider this armour, upon its' completion, a reward should I deem your efforts to retain your previous skill level acceptable. Am I making myself clear?" 

Proxima straightened, raising her fist over her heart

"Perfectly, Father. I will not fail you" she vowed.

Thanos nodded once

"See that you don't." 

With that he turned and left, with the double doors sliding closed behind him, he locked them once again, essentially locking her in from the outside.

This went unnoticed by Proxima however, because she had looked down at the spear lying just a few steps away.

She reached for her weapon, closing her fingers around the handle, wincing in pain, straining as she forced her injured limb to take the weight. Iy would be a long time before she would be able to lift it above her head, let alone weild it on the battle field, let alone training! 

Earning her specially made armour meant earning her spear back, earning her place as one of Thanos' feircest warriors, it would not be the first time, nor the last. She had earned her spear all those years ago, as a reward for proving her worth and usefulness to her master, and she would do so again, and again, and again, for as long as it was required of her.

 



 

Chapter 68: IMPROVISING (updated!)

Summary:

Summary?

Everyone; "Proxima, NO!"

Proxima Midnight; "Proxima Yes!”

Notes:

- Yes this chapter has been uploaded before, but it was pretty short so I decided to build on it.

- I also hate writing action scenes because they never translate well from what's in my head into written word

Chapter Text

In order to carry out the inevitable, unfortunately necessary, genocide of half of  a planets entire race, it was often also necessary to battle the planets defense battalions. 

 “At least someone is enjoying themselves”

It was Proxima who had shouted over the sounds of the battle that raged around them.

Ducking down to use a cluster of large boulders as cover, she narrowly avoided an energy blast, enemies were firing from every direction, with hover crafts raining fire from above.

Proxima and Corvus had gotten separated from Cull Obsidian, who was currently charging straight through the opposing army, swinging his impressive chain handled axe, taking down over fifty enemy’s with one swing.

Meanwhile Proxima aimed her three pronged spear, shooting black jolts of light at her nearest enemy.

Corvus Glaive was also kneeling behind the collection of boulders, keeping out of range

"We need to move, if we fail, Thanos’ wrath will not be pleasant.” he commented.

Proxima rolled back behind the bolder to avoid another blast

“You’re the strategist, I thought it was you who came up with the plans!” Proxima called in reply.

Corvus glared at her

“The plan was to remain unseen; I did not anticipate the re-enforcement they seem to have acquired” he argued.

One such opponent approached the two brandishing a dagger and lashing out, narrowly missing Proxima's neck as Corvus kicked out, knocking the creature off its feet before stabbing it with his glaive, Proxima shot another burst of energy from her spear

“I have something. It’s simple but it should work”

Corvus looked at her expectantly, the sooner they came up with a plan the better.

But the smirk his wife shot his way made him uneasy, but Proxima got to her feet

“Improvise!”

She suddenly vaulted over the protective covering of the boulders.

Corvus yelled out to her but she was already running out onto the battle field, throwing her spear, guiding it to fly through the air stabbing and decapitating enemies while she fought off another soldier in physical combat with one hand

“Maw, get me up there!” she ordered.

  Utilising his specialty honed telekinetic abilities, the Ebony Maw raised various boulders and slabs of earth, ripping them from the ground and raising them above his head and creating a makeshift staircase which Proxima Midnight hastily ascended, leaping across the gaps with ease, getting closer to the hover vehicles several feet above ground level, she spun her weapon and launched it, hard, with a fierce battle cry. 

Vaulting  over the peak of a high mound, she crouched as she slid down the other side, laughing loudly in exhilaration, the enemies’ small but hardy battleships exploded in mid air as her spear tore through thick layers of steel and machinery.

Jumping at the last moment, Proxima landed on her feet,  catching her spear as it returned to her hand. The final few air crafts were taken out in a single well aimed blast that created a domino effect of explosions above. 

The ground was littered with bodies, severed limbs and entrails.

Proxima Midnight, Cull Obsidian and Corvus Glaive moved towards each other from different directions, Obsidian barely had a single scratch on him; his skin was too thick and tough to penetrate with most weapons.

Corvus was in the same condition, other than a gash of his side that was visible through the torn fabric of his clothing, but since his glaive gave him both conditional immortality and regenerative abilities he would heal soon enough.

Proxima was holding her arm close to her side, her other hand covering the bleeding wound near her shoulder, there was also a slight limp in her step

“I think that plan worked as well as could be expected” she commented, only to receive odd looks from her companions; Corvus in particular

“That.” he started bitterly

“Was the opposite of a plan!” 

Proxima would have rolled her eyes if she weren’t so exhausted

“It worked didn’t it?” she smirked.

Corvus snarled in response, but with a jerk of her head, she moved the hair that had fallen in front of her face

“The Maw and I will finish this, we shall meet you back at the ship”

 

The group spilt up, and Proxima approached the Ebony Maw, who  was holding up both hands up, in surrender according to the soldiers surrounding him, but to his sibling, whom the soldiers failed to notice, the Maw looked significantly relaxed, bored even, despite the fact that he had a dozen or so weapons aimed in his direction.

Proxima tossed her spear an inch or so into the air, catching it before throwing it in the Maws direction, just as  the soldiers all fired their weapons at the same time, in the hope of overpowering the Black Order General, Proximas’ spear circled the Maws ankles and grazed the earth, creating a dust cloud as it spun upwards.

Unbothered by the dust cloud Proxima had created as a distraction to the soldiers, the Maw weaved his thin fingers through the air, every bullet about to hit some part of his body was stopped mid air and flung right back at his opponents.

The bodies of his enemies collapsed to the floor around him, all of them with bullet holes in various directions, parts of their anatomy, such as through the skull, the heart, and every major organ known. 

The Maw sighed

"Such feeble attempts to deny my masters plans"

His seemingly careless aim was in fact  precise and exact. 

For the most part, because as he deflected another round of bullets, Proxoma fell to the ground clutching her arm with a definite cry of agony that ripped through the air.

 

Meanhile, Corvus paced the floor of the Q-ship anxiously 

“They Should have returned here 10 minutes ago,” he said under his breath.

Cull watched his brother and replied 

“I'm certain your lady Midnight has just found a particularly wretched soul to torment for some slight or other. Or is bringing them for you to enjoy. You both have rather sadistic tendencies at times after all. Though I have been wrong before” Obsidian added reluctantly.

Corvus spun to be greeted with the sight of the Maw levitating up the ramp of the ship, bringing Proxima inside, she was lying on a slab of flat panelling from one of the ruined enemy  ships she had brought down, but she appeared, at first, to be unconscious 

Cull Obsidian  cleared the work table in the centre with a single careless swipe of his muscular arm while Corvus gathered Proxima in his arms: she was not in fact unconscious but  gritting her teeth and groaning in agony.

Corvus lay her on the tables’ surface, shouting to the lean figure taking over piloting the ship

“Maw, get us on course for Sanctuary 2!” he snarled, fighting to hold Proxima still.

Corvus stood behind her head, cupping her jaw in his hands, murmuring reassurances to her

The Ebony Maw manoeuvred the ship into orbit; his movements lacked the urgency and swiftness of his fellow ‘siblings’

Corvus stalked forward, taking the Maw by surprise, enough to be able to grab him and slam him into the wall before the Ebony Maw could do anything to stop him.

Corvus snarled, practically seeing red in his anger

"Maw you backstabbing waste of flesh and organs what happened, if this is down to you…

The Ebony Maws’ expression barely changed and he flicked a hand, ripping Corvus’ glaive from his hand and sending it clattering across the floor

“If you're quite finished with your impotent rage perhaps we can focus on the matter of the Spider pelet currently burrowing its way into our dear Proximas' arm”

Cull Obsidian interrupted in order to agree, after a split second of deciding whether or not to listen or launch the Maw out of an airlock. But at that moment, Proxima released a loud, sharp cry of pain, clawing at her arm and trying to sit up.

Within seconds, Corvus was at her side, bearing his teeth at The Maw as he too approached and began examining her arm by lifting it with a wave of his fingers, ignoring her sounds of distress and squirms of pain.

Corvus looked up

“Well?”

The Maw lowered Proximas’ arm

“It’s deeper than I first thought, it will take time.”

Once fired, Spider bullets expanded, surrounded by flesh-sensitive spines, thin as a single hair but the smallest brush against bare skin caused the spines to stick, and sink deep into the flesh, creating an intricate web which kept the wound open, and bleeding heavily.  

Proxima was practically convulsing in pain, struggling with the overwhelming urge to claw at her bleeding arm: wanting to relieve the burning, prickling feeling that refused to let up. Thrashing and groaning in agony, she barely noticed Corvus push her hair back from her face.

Corvus forced a thick scrap of cloth between her jaws, to prevent her from biting down on, or through, her lower lip or her tongue  

“Bite down, that’s it. It’s ok…” 

Corvus lent down, putting pressure on both her shoulders, nodding  to Obsidian who followed the silent command straightened her arm down on the surface of the table: his larger size and muscular frame made it easy enough for him to hold her in place even when she tried with all her strength to resist - the pain making her practically delusional by this point.

The Maw weaved his fingers through the air, bringing three micro-surgery needles to hover at eye level. Proximas’ eyes rolled back and a low moan emitted from her throat, feeling the first scratches of needles scratching at the flesh around her wound.

Proxima tensed, Corvus felt it beneath his hands, and The Maw continued to use the microsurgery needles, a scalpel and a pair of tweezers to pry out the Keruviaan bullet from her arm. Her screams and wails of pain were muffled by the scrap of cloth between her jaws, and Corvus kept her as still as possible. 

If it hadn’t been for the cloth in her mouth, Proxima would have begged for death to take her, anything to stop the unbearable pain searing through her body.

And then, just as suddenly, as she teetered on the brink of unconsciousness, the pain was gone and Proxima slumped against the surface of the table, eyes rolling back and darkness cloud her vision, and numbness engulfs her.

The Maw dropped the offending bullet into a dish, the sparks of thick energy keeping it from being pried from Proximas’ arm, with nothing to embed themselves into, died out and retracted.

 Meanwhile, upon realising that she was no longer going to fight back, due to falling unconscious,  Cull Obsidian let Proxima go and stepped away, while Corvus touched the line of  Proximas’ jaw, then checked her pulse, thankful to find it now much more steady, and he began to bind the affected area of her arm to stem the bleeding.

 

Proxima stirred, only for the pain to hit her full force, causing her to fully wake immediately, grasping her wounded arm instinctively.

It was then she realised Corvus was sat beside her, with a comforting  hand on her shoulder

“Easy, it’s alright. Don’t move too much or you rip the wound open more”

Proxima murmured and laid back against the worn pillow under her head. She saw the way her husband looked at her, and closed her eyes in acceptance

"Whatever you wish to say, do so, so I can rest."

Corvus gave a disappointed sigh

"Must you be so reckless, Midnight?"

Proxima didn't so much a open her eyes let alone move as she responded 

"Yes."

She then looked up at the ceiling, flexing her fingers, and regretting it instantly as pain shot through her arm

“I never want to encounter Spider bullets again” she stated through gritted teeth.

Seeing her pained expression, whatever point Corvus intended to make with his previous comment was forgotten 

“What can I do?”

Proxima frowned 

“I'm alright, just let me rest…”

But he could be just as stubborn as she when it came to his partners well being 

“My Midnight you don't have to do that  not with me”

Proxima sighed and avoided his gaze, focusing on toying with the thin sheet she lay upon

 “Damn your perceptiveness…”

Corvus chuckled once

“As though I have not known you long enough to process such knowledge, such as when you're not feeling yourself?”

Proxima couldn’t help the small smirk from gracing her black lips 

“isn't that what I  said?” she quipped

His expression mirrored her own as Corvus tucked a strand of navy hair behind her horn

“My love, do you not remain at my side when the glaive must repair limbs and vital organs? 

Proximas’ gaze hardened and she frowned 

“You know full well….” she faltered and sighed 

“Point taken.” she conceded 

Corvus cupped her cheek in order to bring her gaze back to his 

“Tell me what you need”

Proximas’ eyes darted to her right, seeing their other ‘siblings’ preoccupied with steering the ship home, before shifting to one side slightly 

 “Lie with me?” she requested.

They arranged themselves comfortably so that Proxima  was resting her injured arm on his chest, with her husbands strong, lean arms holding her protectively.

Proxima sighed as she began to relax, the heat radiating from his skin already felt soothing against her aching body

“So warm” she murmured to him quietly 

The chuckle Corvus emitted should have been enough for her to swipe at him indigent yet she remained still and calm. 

It wasn’t long before Proxima fell asleep in his arms, and despite his lack of a need to sleep Corvus remained where he was so that he wouldn’t disturb her or cause her any discomfort by moving her injured arm.

The Ebony Maw set the Q-ship into auto pilot cast them a disapproving glance

Cull Obsidian, cleaning his hammer, interjected 

“Don’t” he warned.

It wasn’t so much this, but Corvus’ expression, the baring of teeth, the slight flash of blood red eyes and unconscious, the flex of  deadly claws, pricking Proximas’ skin harmlessly yet still  held the underlying threat of what would happen if anyone approached, which kept The Maw from speaking his disapproval of such intimacy between two Generals of the Great Titan such as themselves.

The Maw raised his brow, replying to Culls warning without urgency 

“Trust me, I know better than to approach a protective guard dog when it has what it wants in its  jaws.” 

From the bed, in the shadows of the ship, Corvus snarled under his breath, Proxima winced in her sleep, and Corvus carded clawed fingers through her hair, feeling her settle once more just moments later.

 Cull Obsidian grumbled something about ‘aggravating a tense situation' in his native language, and the Maw moved to return to check the ships home tracking system, under the harsh stare of Corvus glaive as he tucked himself closer to his injured, unconscious wife, not caring if the others, mainly the Ebony Maw, could plainly see.

Chapter 69: TROUBLESOME TODDLERS

Summary:

Proxima and Corvus get stuck babysitting

Notes:

A request fill for MidnightRebel999, who wanted some more little Nebula

Chapter Text

Proxima Midnight marched, in an irate manner, down the corridor of The Sanctuary  with a frustrated growl. She was a General of Thanos, a hardened warrior who had slain thousands in her masters honor, s he was not a, a... babysitter

And Yet...

Seeing a blur of indigo skin and small form of her intended target, Proxima started to run toward her

“Nebula!” 

She shouted at the four year old that had been left in her care while Thanos was gone, along with the rest of the Black Order, including Gamora.

Proxima Midnight darted around a corner, only for the toddler to spin, throw herself down and crawl between the womans’ legs to run back the way they had come, before Proxima could grab hold of her.

Nebula had come to them before she could even walk, and once she had learnt, under Proximas’ somewhat impatient tutelage, and now she never seemed to stop. While she was far from hyperactive, she hated being under the care of her older ‘siblings’ and never wasted a chance to avoid and evade them.

Yes, Proxima could keep up with her young charge, but keeping hold of her and keeping her in one place was another thing entirely.  They were, of course, somewhat confined to the Warship they called home, but Nebula was still only 4 and there were plenty of dangers to be stumbled into for such a young child, hence the need for supervision. 

Proxima was often tempted to let the child wander and learn from experience to be more aware of her surroundings,  and to  avoid dangerous situations, but due to a slight mishap with Gamora, Thanos’ most favoured daughter, this was never to be an option. Proxima still insisted, years later, that the child should have known better than to get into the Outrider hive below decks in the first place.

Once she was within reach, Proxima leapt at the child, causing them to roll twice, yet she still managed to keep hold of her, only for pain to shoot through her wrist moments later,  forcing her her let go and retract her arm on instinct

“Ugh, you bit me you rabid little brat!” 

Getting to her feet, Proxima was forced to once again start to run after the troublsome child.



Proxima stopped to catch her breath, pausing outside the room she shared with Corvus. The doors were open, so she was given a clear view of her partner, standing in the small kitchenette area of their chambers, leaning against a cabinet with a glass of thick green liquid in  his hand 

Proxima called to him from where she stood in the hallway

“Did she pass here?” she questioned 

 

Corvus pointed to his left, indicating which way their young charge had gone, and Proxima rolled her eyes and quickly stormed away in the direction he had pointed.

 

Corvus chuckled in amusement, his expression turned reflective 

‘Perhaps our newest ‘sibling’ does need to learn to contain her energy somewhat’ 



Nebula smirked, as best as a four year old could, ducking around a corner, giggling as she carefully watched Proxima stride off in the wrong direction.

Eager to find a place to be by herself, she turned to walk away, only to run into something, hard enough cause her to stumble back and land on her backside

Wincing, with a whimper of pain, Nebula looked up, seeing the ‘something’ she had walked into was in fact ‘someone’

Corvus crouched to Nebulas’ level, leaning on the glaive in his hand

“”Why do you insist on being so troublesome?” 

Nebula pouted as she retorted

“Want to be by myself. ‘Xima never does anything fun with me, and thinks I should train to fight instead of messing around in scrap bins.” 

Corvus made a thoughtful sound

“That's another thing, why do you take such interest in those?”

The ‘scrap bins’ Nebula was referencing were huge containers down by the refuse room, filled with old, broken or malfunctioned machinery, scrap metal and weaponry.

Nebula, getting to her feet, shrugged 

“I like seeing how they work, or figuring out how they should work, and seeing if I could fix them,” she admitted.

Corvus nodded once in understanding 

“Very well. How about an…agreement?” 

Seeing Nebulas eyes sparkled with childish interest, Corvus went on 

“Behave for a few hours, and whenever Thanos is away and you’re under mine and Proximas’ watch, you can have free rain from the Scrap bins, you can take whatever you want and do what you will with them, provided it’s not life endangering, and doesn't have the capacity to obliterate the ship from existence”

Nebula giggled and nodded 

“Deal!” she thrust out her hand, which Corvus took and shook to seal their verbal agreement.



Corvus’ clawed finger twitched as he watched his smaller opponent, waiting for them to make their next move. Six year old Nebula sat across from him with a four tier holographic chess game between them, she moved her piece without a sound and without any change in her expression.

Proxima, having been informed that her husband had managed to corral the youngster for longer than several seconds, sat to one side, watching.

She spoke after a prolonged stretch of silence, addressing her husband

“Why do you never engage in this game with me?”

Corvus moved his game piece before sitting back, scanning the board, as a skilled strategist, taking in details and planning ones’ next movement, came as easily as breathing.

Without looking up he answered his wife

 “Because, my bright and most beautiful Midnight star, you haven't the patience for the game” 

Proxima bristled in annoyance, narrowing her eyes at Corvus

“Are you implying I have less patience than a child of six cycles old?” 

Smirking at Proximas’ irate tone, he turned, opening his mouth to reply, but, before he could utter a word, the pair realised that Nebula had taken her turn, slipped down from her seat and walked away.

Leaving Corvus in checkmate.

Proxim snorted in amusement while Corvus stared at the board, mouth still hanging open.

Chapter 70: Little One, Little Annoyance

Summary:

The Black Order are left in charge of their newest 'Sibling'

Notes:

(Mild smut in the beginning)

Building on an idea explored, briefly, in my Guardians of the Galaxy fic on Gamoras early days aboard the Sanctuary 2

Chapter Text

 

Proximas’ moan of pleasure was cut short as she inhaled sharply, straddling Corvus Glaive and with her hands resting on his shoulders for balance,  she continued to buck her hips against his with a moan of his name. Feeling  her inner walls tighten around his throbbing member and sweet euphoria took over, and with a breathless moan he came inside her for a second time. 

Corvus pulled his wifes’ shuddering, moaning form down to his level; he began to  kiss her neck hurriedly several times, as the aftershocks of their release began to ease, their bodies slowly stilled and relaxed.

.

Breathing heavily, Proxima removed herself and laid down beside Corvus, pushing a damp section of hair off her perspiring forehead.

“What were we arguing about again?” she panted

She can’t recall how many times he’d made her come, and when he turned to face her, Corvus feels a swell of pride rise within his chest; she looks as well-fucked as he feels

 “I can’t recall,” he admitted while catching his breath

He didn’t even bother to try to  probe his mind to remember the subject of the fight, he’d rather see the memory of  the electric friction between them it had caused, instead he watched his own clawed fingers trace ineligible patterns in her skin, 

Proxima chuckled breathlessly 

“Do you think  it was important?”

Corvus, as usual, is the first to recover, but he remained close beside her, snaking an arm around her bare torso

“I very much doubt it”

She exhaled with a thoughtful sound 

“Perhaps we should argue about it more often” 

Her fingers stroked a path up his sternum to splay over his chest until Corvus took her hand, kissing the back of it with a chuckle.

After several minutes, Proxima rolled onto her back, stretching out her body and limbs, the sight proving far too inviting to resist and Corvus began to kiss and nip a path down her torso to her navel

“I suppose we should check on our newest ‘Sibling” he muttered against her belly

Proxima huffed, but agreed.

After taking a moment to clean up, Proxima dressed, and left to find the room where they had left Thanos' latest acquired ‘Child’ while Corvus showered.

Thanos had returned from a ‘Cleanse’, bringing with him a young Zen-Whoberian, no older than 8 cycles old. Only for Thanos to leave the child in the care of his Black Order and leave for his Garden the next day. It was up to Proxima, Corvus, The Maw and Cull Obsidian to see that she was settled and became familiar with the rules and routines they were all expected to live by.

Proxima reached the room the youngster had been given and pressed a hand to the door panel - the only ones able to enter were her, Thanos and the room's occupant.

only, the room was empty.

After checking the bathroom, and still not finding the youngster, Proxima swore under her breath before darting from the room

“Corvus, she’s gone!” she called urgently.

 

After rounding up Ebony Maw and Cull Obsidian, the Black Order split up to scout the vast maze of corridors of the warship they called home in search of their young charge.

Proxima approached Corvus, who, like her, still hadn’t found Gamora

“Nothing,” she reported.

Lifting her communication band to her wrist, she spoke into the receiver

“Maw, anything?” she demanded

The Telekinetic could be heard responding in a dry tone

“Ah yes. I found her hours ago and decided not to report it in order to continue this most enjoyable waste of our time (!)

Proxima snarled and began to curse the Maw in Rhynarian

“Listen you maledetto madre di putt-”

Corvus interrupted sharply 

“Just keep looking, Proxima and I are taking the slaughter deck next.” 

As he ended the communication, Proxima lowered her wrist with a frustrated sigh

“I left her in her room, balancing that infernal blade on her fingers the way she always does…” 

She was cut off when, from the floor below, they heard the screaming.

The couple turned to each other with shocked expressions 

“The Outrider Hive!” they chorused, bolting in the direction of the pod used to travel between floors.

 

As soon as the couple reached their destination, they looked down, seeing Outriders crawling from their caves which were honeycombed into the thick stone, the ones in the higher up were creeping down the walls to join the ones already on the ground

Gamora stood, completely frozen as the creatures approached her, snapping their salivating jaws at the air, chittering and growling.

Seeing this, Proxima and Corvus ran as fast as their bodies would allow, down the spiral of damp, stone steps

Gamora took a step back, making the creatures nearest her tense, smelling and sensing her fear, drawing them to her like flies to dead flesh.

An Outrider snapped its jaws at Gamoras' ankle, missing by mere inches but it was enough to make her jump, and cry out out as she fell backwards  to the floor.

Proxima, a short way behind her husband, called out with urgency

“Corvus!” she warned 

With a snarl, Corvus leapt to one side, avoiding the rest of the stair in favor of reaching Gamora faster, just as a particularly large Outrider lunged for Gamora.

Corvus swung his weapon, slicing the offending Outrider in half, killing it instantly before landing in a low, protectively in-front of the youngster, putting himself between her and the Horde, wielding his glaive in a similarly protective manner. 

 The rest of the Outrider horde cringed back, their chittering had quietened, their body-language submissive, even fearful. Mimicking the Outrider language, Corvus ordered them to back down, and the Outriders flinched and backed away, to Gamoras’ surprise, but before she could do anything more Corvus spoke, just one word

“Proxima” 

By now his wife had caught up, and she immediately grabbed Gamoras’ wrist.

In her frightened state, Gamora started to struggle, to Proximas annoyance

Stop it , or I’ll leave you here and let you become Outrider fodder!” she hissed threatenginly. 

Gamora did as she was told, Proxima roughly pulled her to the stairway, before seizing the child under the arms to carry her up the stairs, the quicker they left the Hive the better. Proxima grimaced upon feeling Gamora latch onto her, the fact that the one carrying her was a hardened warrior with no time for such things, not occurring to the child in her moment of desperation and fear.

Out in the hallway, away from the Hive, Proxima  set Gamora down, having to fight to unhook Gamoras’ small hands from her battle suit

“Enough” she ordered sharply.

Without acknowledging her whine of protest, Proxima crouched to her level and took the top of Gamoras’ arms, harder than she’d intended but did nothing to rectify it as she dutifully checked Gamora over for injuries.

Finding no damage apart from a bump on the head, Proxima relaxed and loosened her hold on Gamoras’ arm

Proxima let got of Gamora and stood

“Go to your chambers and stay there.”

She was in no mood to find out how Thanos would react to finding  any unnecessary damage to his newest and youngest recruit after leaving Proxima and the others with orders to watch over her. She was particularly unwilling to have Thanos find out exactly why Gamora had been left, and what Proxima and her husband had been doing instead of supervising her.

Proxima  turned, intending to re-join Corvus down in the Outrider hive, but she stopped upon hearing Gamora call out

“Um…”

Proxima spun back to find Gamora avoiding her gaze,  twisting her fingers in her opposite hand

Frustrated  at the childs’ lack of awareness over the dangers of the Outrider Horde, she had little patience left for Gamoras’ childishness

“What?”

Gamora swallowed with tear filled eyes

“I don’t know where it is” 

Proxima almost missed what she’d said, Gmaoras’ voice was so quiet and still trembling with fear after her ordeal.

Proxima smirked, realizing Gamora still hadn’t memorized the route back to her room yet

‘You should have thought of that before you wandered off to where you shouldn’t have.’

She intended to then leave the child to her own devices, it would teach her a lesson after all. But…

Something stopped her. And she would swear till the day her life ended that it wasn’t the tearful, lost expression on the 8 year old face.

According to Thanos, who seemed to have a particular liking for this child, for reasons unknown, they were not yet meant to begin teaching her, but to guide her as she became used to her new life, a life Proxima, Corvus and her ‘Siblings’ had lived for several years already, with Proxima being the last to be brought aboard, before Gamora that is.

Proxima rolled her eyes but said nothing as she walked the child back to her chambers, wondering what Thanos was thinking, bringing such a young child into their midst, and why he seemed so fascinated with her.

But, Proxima supposed, like children with a shiny new toy, his interest would wane and Gamora, whom he often affectionately dubbed ‘little one’ would soon be nothing more than another ’Child of Thanos’, another willing General of the Black Order carrying out their masters orders.

What more could she be after all? She was younger, yes, but no better than the rest of them.

Reaching Gamoras’ designated room, Proxima entered the code

“You’re not to come out until you’re told, understand?” she stated, ushering her inside.

Gamora nodded as she crossed the room to climb onto her bed, sitting in silence and looking severely reprimanded as she stared down at the floor, kicking her feet which couldn’t yet touch the floor.

Proxima paused in the doorway, looking back over her shoulder

“Fear and pain will become an every part of your life now, child, so you need to get used to it, until then…you did well down there, you didn't run, which is what they wanted.”

She had to admit the child did show some...promise, even at this age.

Proxima began removing her the communication band from her wrist, before walking back to drop the band on the bed, in front of Gamora

“This is synced with my spare one. Thanos left you under our…care, use this if there is something you require. Just press this one and mine will ring. Got it?”

Gamora nodded as she took the band in both hands, examining it so intently that she barely noticed Proxima exit the room.

From then on, at least one of the Black Order watched over Gamora at all times, passing her off to their ‘Siblings’ when they wanted to train, work, or take some ‘personal time’ in the case of Proxima and Corvus.

The Maw would teach Gamora about electronics or biology,  Cull taught her his language, and some hand signals, or sit in silence while she picked over his collection of books, and Corvus taught her holographic chess.

And Proxima, she would shadow her at a distance while Gamora explored every room, every storage space, every corner of the ship to her hearts’ content. But always, always, keeping away from the Outrider Hive in the lowest deck of the ship, and, at one point, steering her away from the interrogation chambers.

 

As Gamora passed the line of cybernetic enhancements and prosthetic limbs while playing hopskotch on the tiled floor on the medical deck. The child had been too engrossed in her footwork to notice, and Proxima 'accidently' kicked the pebble Gamora had been using to decide how many tiles she should hop, Proximas' foot sent it spiraling a few feet further down the corridor. Gamora had shot her a frown, pouting and calling her mean before chasing after the pebble to continue the game until they reached the end of the corridore.

While Gamora pressed the button to open the ships travel pod, with the intent of going to the next floor above them, Proxima the breath she had been pretending not to be holding.

Thanos would certainly agree that Gamora didn't need to know about...that, just yet.

 

Chapter 71: RECOVER AND REGROUP

Summary:

The aftermath of the fight in Edinburgh during Infinity Wars

Chapter Text

Proxima knelt by Corvus’ side, he’d been brought down when her own spear had been used to practically gut him, the spears particular abilities consequently immobilized her husband, before being broken when she’d attempted to reclaim it.

She glared up at their opponents, one of which, a blond female Earthling, addressed her  with an emotionless shrug

“We don’t want to kill you. But…”

The man encased in silver, bird-like armour raised a pair of blasters and fired….and her entire world turned a blinding white, and in the next second it became pitch black

 

Proxima jolted from her sleep, panting and sweating. Immediately she turned, finding Corvus lying, seeming unconscious, beside her on the rickety double cot near the back of the Q-ship. Allowing the thin, threadbare blanket to fall from her naked form. Carefully peeling back the blanket, she began  to examine the three stab wounds inflicted on Corvus by the prongs of her spear. He was as bare as she, so it was easy for her to see that his wounds had almost healed, and now resembled only the most superficial of wounds, with dried blood caked around them.

She  slipped out of bed to make her way to the small washroom a few steps away, subsequently returning with a warm, damp washrag, and set about cleaning the dried blood from her husbands’ flesh. She realised she must have pressed too hard on the area surrounding the wounds, because Corvus grunted suddenly and his’ hand enclosed around her wrist

Proxima put her free hand to his head

“Sh, my love it’s me” she soothed.

His hold was  firm but gentle as he  held her hand in place rather than pushing her away. Once Corvus had relaxed again, waiting out the advanced healing process given to him through his bond with the glaive that never left his side, Proxima finished cleaning the dried blood from his skin and stood to return the cloth to the washroom.

Sitting on the edge of the mattress, Proxima ran both hands back through her hair, pushing it back from her face. She was exhausted, and frustrated at their defeat at the hands of the android, the witch, and their meddling friends; Terrans; she and her husband, Generals of the Mad Titan, Children of Thanos, had been bested by a group of Terrans, admittedly they had possessed abilities and power they had been little prepared for given how weak Terrans were in comparison to others they had faced in the past.

But, worst of all, they had almost killed her husband, and dared touch the glaive which gifted him his advanced healing and immortality! If the glaive had been broken as her spear had been…Proxima bit back a groan, as much as she hated to admit it, the thought terrified her, aside from this, the effects of being thrown around like a rag by the witch had left her weary, and her entire  body ached .

Behind her, Corvus stirred, opening his eyes he turned his head, finding Proxima sitting with her back to him and hunched forward

“My love…”

He reached out, touching his hand to her back, feeling her body tense for a split second before she turned to face him, encasing his hand in both her own; bringing the back of his hand to her lips for a lingering moment.  

She always reacted badly when he was  wounded, or worse, killed in battle, barely letting the glaive out of her sight until he had healed and been returned to her.

When she spoke it was with a false and forced air of efficiency

“The Maw is already en route to Titan. Cull is still on Terra, I’m tracking his coordinates sent through his communication bands, we’ll pick him up and then continue to track the mind Stone from there ....”

Corvus’ thumb stroked her bruised, grazed knuckles

“What is it?”

Proximas’ eyes widened as though in surprise, but Corvus saw through her with ease

“Did those filth harm you, my Midnight?” 

If those Terran scum had hurt her…

Proxima sighed, slumping in defeat, knowing she couldn’t conceal a thing from her husband

“My spear was broken in the skirmish. Those Terran rats broke my weapon…” she admitted.

Corvus attempted to sit up, but settled with making it only halfway and leaning back on bony elbows

“What, how ?” 

He didn’t recall much after being stabbed with said spear and being knocked down by friends of the android and his  Witch companion whom they had been hunting.

Proxima explained how she had recalled her spear to her hand, and one of the Terran heroes, the Avengers, had defended himself using Corvus’ glaive, much to her outrage, and while trying to both defeat her opponent and in the hope of retrieving her husbands invaluable weapon from the Terrans hands, her spear had splintered in two.

“If it had been your weapon instead of mine…” she started, her voice cracked with emotion as her throat constricted at the thought despite the fact that she was practically shaking with rage over the loss of her spear.

Corvus squeezed her hand reassuringly 

“Yet it wasn’t. I’m fine, I’m here…”

He cupped her cheek, watching her cover his hand with her own, blinking back the tears which had, surprisingly, gathered in her eyes, he ignored it, only because her perceived vulnerability would make her bring her defensive walls back between them, instead, and with a comforting sound, Corvus pressed his forehead to hers, mindful of a raised bruise in her dark forehead.

They remained this way for several minutes, Corvus waiting patiently for her to calm and ground herself, and Proxima, finally accepting that her beloved was, in fact, safe, and now fully healed before her,  took a breath, and forced herself to relax. 

It was another few moments before she spoke, in a heavily disappointed tone 

“They broke my spear…”  she seethed.

Corvus kissed her forehead in an attempt to comfort her

“I’m sorry, my love” 

He then added 

“You still have your sword, yes?”

She nodded once and he added

“Then the Terrans are practically already dead at your feet, my beautiful, deadly midnight star” 

Proxima met his gaze with an uncharacteristically soft expression 

“I hope not, because I plan on making them pay dearly for what they took from me. What they almost took from me…”

She grasped Corvus shoulder with one hand, cupping his cheek with the other, and Corvus smirked, bringing a hand to her cheek in a similar manner

“I know you will, my love. And I shall take great pleasure in witnessing whatever you have in store for them.”

Proxima, however,  remained tense in silent rage

“That spear has not left my side since Thanos gifted it to me.”

Corvus, now almost back to his full strength already, sat up

“My love, When we have presented Thanos with the mind stone, I’m certain he will reward us, he may gift you a new weapon. He has the Dwarf, Eitri, under his command now, I shall take you to forge your own if that is what you wish”

Proxima smiled, appreciative of her husbands comfort and reassurance 

“I have always wanted to see the forges of Nidavellir…” she conceded

Corvus chuckled, his decision  was made upon seeing a familiar spark of curiosity and interest in Proximas’ amber eyes

“I am well aware. That will be the first destination I shall show you, one of so many.” he vowed.

Once Thanos’ objective had been reached, once he had brought about his vision of a thriving universe he planned to retire to the Garden. Corvus and Proxima, in turn, had made their own plans, concocted throughout the years during private moments stolen between slaughters, or during rest hours when sleep evaded them.

 They had seen many planets, witnessed so much in their lives, but it was constantly marred by the inevitable genocide of a species, restricting their  chances of ever, safely, stepping foot upon said planets soil ever again.

But Corvus, who had far more experience of the Universe, of it’s horrors, and harshness, but also its’ wonders, natural and otherwise, their were corners of the solar systems even the Black Order hadn’t touched, where their faces and names were not recognised and the monetary pay for their  severed heads were not a bounty hunters wet-dream.

Once everything was done, once they were granted rest, their reward for serving their master and assisting in the accomplishment of his near life-long goal, Corvus intended to show his beloved Proxima every single inch of it; wherever she wished to go, whatever she wished to see and experience, that would be where they would go.

His clawed thumb stroked the line of Proximas’ lower lip

“Let the Master have his Garden,  his peace, his quiet…The Universe will be our own. To explore as we please; Contraxia, Knowhere, perhaps even Varga…” 

He nudged his nose to her temple with a suggestive sound, a quiet moan escaped her as she too recalled their first visit to the planet Varga, right after they had married.

Corvus wrapped his arms around Proxima, pulling her close and speaking quietly to her ear as he urged her to relax against him

“Rest, Midnight. I have you,  I’m here, I’m fine. We shall have our second chance, and we will succeed” 

As Proxima began to doze in his arms, leaning back against his chest, Corvus glanced over to the flickering red light in the control panel, had he been closer he would have also seen the screen of of the tracking system fix on a signal, located on Earth's frigid location of Antarctica. 

Chapter 72: NUMB

Summary:

An A.U style chapter where the Order have been seperated, as a group and from Thanos. Could be read as a (sort of) alternative take on Proxima and Corvus reunion during Thanos death sentence (Just imagine it with the movie versions of Proxima and Corvus)

Chapter Text

 

She’d been travelling alone for close to a year now, maybe longer had she the mind to properly calculate. 

The rest of the Order scattered across the Galaxy, Thanos nowhere to be seen or heard of. That was why she had come to Hala, why she had been journeying between planets and civilizations; searching, hoping for any trace, any whisper of what might have become of the others…of…

No, if she thought of him , she would surely break.

 

“Another” 

With a raised eyebrow, but not a word, the bartender did as he was bid, filling the tumbler  with amber liquid.

This time she held the glass in her hand, her cool touch overriding that of the glass. Was this her third, fourth maybe? She couldn’t recall, anymore than she could recall what exactly had made her choose the planet Hala as her next stop. 

She downed the shot and felt a hand on her back, then a males voice in her ear made her tense

“You should slow down, too many rogues around these parts ready to take advantage of a gorgeous creature like you” 

His touch was too cool, his voice too high, and certainly neither belonged to the only one in the galaxy who had earned the right to touch and speak to her in such a way.

Proximas’ head turned just a fraction to meet those of the blue skinned male Kree

“Remove your hand from me before I take your entire arm .” 

His hand retracted but the Kree did not; his tone suggested he took personal offence at being told no, particularly by a woman

“Come on, you’d think all that booze would loosen you up…” 

Proxima remained stoic

“Did I stutter? Take your hand, your arm and the rest of your vile self to any pitiful corner of the galaxy you like so long as it is away from me, for your safety I’d advise it be several planets away..”

The Kree laughed, glanced over his shoulder at the friends he’d left at his table, and gestured at Proxima

“You’ve got a smart mouth, bet I can think of better uses for it” he rumbled

Proxima tried not to react, at least not visibly 

“I’m married, so you can shove your pathetic pick-up lines somewhere incredibly unpleasant.”

She didn’t think the words would hurt her so, even if she was the one to say them; words she’d once been proud to be able to say, now made her feel close to sick to her stomach.

What the Kree said next only stoked her simmering anger like gasoline on candle-flame

“I don’t mind if you don’t. He can’t be all that bothered if he lets’ such a lovely thing as you drink alone”

He lightly dragged a long nail around the rim of her glass, and Proxima reached for her spear, which stood, out of sight, in arms reach. With little effort she brought the handle across her chest, aiming the three glowing prongs at the Kree

Proximas’ eyes bore into his, unblinking, unrelenting, even as three more Kree came to flank their companion.

 

 Several minutes later the bar had been vacated, apart from the bodies of the Kree who had lost their brawl with the former General of Thanos, three of whom lay on the floor, or slumped half-way over an upturned chair, missing limbs and bleeding profusely. 

The male who had initially interacted with Proxima held the bleeding, gaping wound where his right arm should have been, spitting a mouthful of blood to the floor while  back off, metaphorical tail between his legs

“Frigid bitch” he mumbled under his breath as he slunk out of the door, abandoning his mutilated companions.

Proxima didn’t so much as look up, as she looked over her hand, beneathe the Kree blood staining it, her knuckles where cut and scraped, she wondered why she hadn't felt a thing during the entire scuffle. The Kree had, admittedly, gotten a decent hit in here and there, even if she had come out victorious. 

Proxima realized that she did, indeed, feel nothing.

“Another” she called to the frightened looking bartender, who had, wisely, thought twice about trying to stop the fight. 

Proxima threw down the tokens for this, and the other drinks, and swallowed down the mouthful of liquor, wishing the burn in her throat would last longer, at least least it made her feel something.

Oh well, another wouldn’t hurt… 

 

Oh yes it would.

In the alley which separated the bar from the establishment next door, Proxima vomited the contents of her stomach, which mainly consisted of cheap alcohol. Standing with her hands braced on the brick wall, she hung her head, concealing the tears threatening to stream down her cheeks. which she would swear were only an involuntary reflex of the tear-ducts due to the violent expulsion of the alcohol in her system.

After wiping her mouth with the back of her hand, she turned, taking a step away from the mess, and leaning her back against the wall, staring at the ground.

Even in her current state, her senses were sharp as steel, and she looked up, taking hold of her spear she looked down the far end of the ally, seeing a pair of Kree meet and start towards her, she looked to the other end, a third, far more muscular Kree strode into the mouth of the ally.

Both her escape routes were blocked.

She’d held her own, but the electric volts of a taser jarred through her body, the voltage not high enough to leave her unconscious, not at once, but it was enough to bring her down, hard.  She laid there on the alley floor, feeling foreign hands on her body, and feared the worst, only to be lifted roughly and hauled away and bundled carelessly into a vehicle.

Her head hit the side of the vehicle hard, and she didn’t fight the urge to black out this time.

‘Fantastic’ she thought to herself sarcastically.

She woke to find herself lying on a sofa, which sat parallel to a second, matching one, Proxima was surprised to find that she had not been restrained, and a pitcher of water and a glass had been left. She ignored these in favour of going to the window, horrified to find  that the room was was part of a multi-story building, 50 stories high, at least, if the number of floors below her was any indication, feeling light-headed, and not due to any residual effects from the alcohol, she backed away from the window immediately. 

Proxima paced the unfamiliar room like a caged Wildcat, her spear was, of course, missing, to her discomfort, she was also exhausted, confused, and on edge, along with being several floors higher than she was comfortable with.

She truly must have been low on wits at the time, because she took the one facing away from the door, she had been taught, long before Thanos had taken her from Sakkarr, to never turn her back on an enemy, after all. 

But even as she realized her mistake, she also came to find she hadn’t the strength to rise and choose a more strategically appropriate seat, so remained where she was. She decided, hearing the door-lock click, and said door open, she decided that whatever was to happen, let it be so.

“My love…”

That voice…

Recognition and realization struck like the barbs of an electro-whip.

With every muscle locked and tense, Proxima turned, her body seemed to jolt like she’d been struck as her eyes rested on the figure closing the door behind them.

Corvus Glaive stood before her, just as he had countless times before; gauntlets, thick leather battle suit, and namesake weapon.

Proxima rose slowly, un-blinking, as though he might bolt or disappear entirely at any sudden movement or sound.

“My apologies for the circumstances, my love, the taser was…unplanned, they have been dealt with I assure you-”

Proxima was on him before he could finish, and he grunted as almost her entire weight was flung against him, pinning him to the door; hands clinging, burying themselves in his suit, pressing herself close to him

He responded in kind, embracing her claws kneading at her back, face pressed to her neck, inhaling her familiar scent, their mouths meeting in a furiously deep, hungry kiss. 

“Y-you-re here…”

Corvus brought her close, kissing her temple

“Midnight-”

He was cut of by a slap to the face that would have broken a lesser mans jaw, in the same second she dug her fingers into his cheeks, forcing him to look her in the eye

Where were you ?” she demanded

Anyone else would have taken the anger and rather vicious reaction as just that - fury, rage and violence. But Corvus heard the crack in her voice, felt the tremble in her fingers as she dug into into his cheeks, he saw the shine of hurt and desperation in her eyes.

His reply was calm, almost amused

“I might ask the same of you - you are…elusive at best, my love. You have certainly given my bounty hunters a run for their money these last months.”

What gave him pause, however, was the short, sharp sounds of distress and Proxima hanging her head so that it rested on his chest. 

Months . The word thundered in Proximas’ ears; all this time…he’d been hunting her as she had been hunting him, a deep shudder wracked her body  

“So…”

Her voice was too quiet, too unlike her own

“...Bounty hunters? How on Titan did you persuade anyone to work for the first Dreadlord of Thanos?” 

Corvus smirked

“Anonymity is easy enough to maintain. Bounty hunters, I have found, will remain, shall we say, willingly ignorant so long as they are given what is promised to them.”

Proxima noted that conversation came so easily to them, they might as well have never been parted

“And you plan on doing so?”

Corvus frowned at her

“I asked them to bring you to me. I did not sanction tasers or such rough handling of my beloved wife; though, perhaps I should have specified” he quipped

Proxima, tracing a line of the gold pattern on his cloak

“Hm, perhaps. But then…” 

Corvus grinned

“...where would the fun be in being specific, if one can avoid paying on a technicality?” 

The noise she made was neither a grunt or a laugh, but a soft strangled sound emitted out of habit to acknowledge he had spoken. 

He ducked down slightly and lifted her, letting her legs wind immediately around his narrow waist

“You’re far lighter than you should be”  he told her, his displeasure evident.

  He brought her to the couch she had previously vacated, where he sat, with her straddling his lap, knees bent either side of his waist

“H-Have you had word from the others, Obsidian? Thanos?”

Corvus demeanor gave off an air of defeat 

“Nothing”

She instantly regretted asking and Proxima relaxed her fingers, her gaze cast down at the empty seat beside them, her thoughts a mad whirl of possible scenarios, plans, doubts, and everything in between.

Corvus lifted her chin to meet her eyes, clawed fingers deftly rearranging the hair which had fallen across her face so that he could see her properly, her hands refusing to unhook from his suit, he rested his forehead to hers, letting his hands move over her body, feeling her familiar coolness against his warm palms

“Until now. If this past year has forced me to realize anything, it is that my world, my home, is you, with you, and I never plan on losing you again”

Proxima slid her arms around his neck, kissing him deeply for several moments, tilting his head slightly since she sat an inch or so higher than her husband in her current position, she eagerly accepting the pin-prick of his claws at her back, and the firm press of his tongue as it past her lips to meet hers.

Her hand cupped the back of his head, deepening the kiss hungrily, the warmth of his skin, his mouth on hers, it set every cell of her body alight, as though he was breathing life into her with every touch, and  she wondered distantly if the feeling was anything like what Corvus felt when his glaive revived him.

Seeing her eyes ignite with life once more, Corvus rumbled in pleasure

"How I’ve missed your face, my beloved Midnight”

Whatever rift their time apart had created quickly healing over as his fingers ran through her deep navy hair which cascaded down her back, several inches longer than he remembered.

Proximas’ knees tightened around his waist

“Just my face, dear husband?” she teased 

She inhaled sharply as she was lifted once more, and laid on the surface of the table in front of the sofa, her arms immediately wrapped around Corvus’ neck to hold him as close as possible as he rested his body over hers, his face tucked against her throat, his nose nudging the pulsing vein in her neck, inhaling her scent, feeling the  curves of her body pressed against him, the lingering taste of alcohol on her lips when his kissed her.

Their hands were everywhere on their partners bodies possible to reach, more than once even  colliding to grab and squeeze in their blindly made paths, their mouths reunited again and again between sounds of growing pleasure and whispers of endearments and their lovers’ names.

So much time lost, so much time to make up for, and it started now.

Chapter 73: FOLLOWING ORDERS

Summary:

Proxima struggles after a mission, more specifically, the solo assignment given to her by Thanos

Notes:

Warning - mass infanticide, nothing graphic

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

She took out the guards first, with just a few well timed swings of her spear, it felt almost too easy and she’d rather return to the battlefield, facing down the planets’ diligently trained armies as her siblings were no doubt doing at this very moment.

But Thanos had directed her to the large stone structure she stood before now, a pair of Outriders shoved open the heavy stone doors she entered, letting the creature scurry past to prevent any advisories from entering and attempting to stop Proxima Midnight from her assignment. 

She was momentarily confused to find only females within, but, under threat of falling by her spear, she ushered them out for the Outriders to herd towards the rest of the civilians awaiting their fate; she had her order, very pacific orders. 

The now vacated room held nothing of interest, just a line of, what looked like wash basins and a large stone dias, large enough for a body to lay upon, in the center, primitive flame-lit torches attached to the walls by iron holders lit the room, and, only now that the fearful chatter of the women gathered there had gone Proxima heard it; a noise, it was something she vaguely remembered, but couldn’t place. 

Proxima noticed a narrow, marble  staircase leading down below the surface floor of the structure, and using  the glow of her spear to further air her vision as she began to descend. Occasionally she stopped to examine the carvings on the walls - she thought them similar to markings made by a Terran civilization from centuries gone. Ancient Egypt, Corvus had called it when Proxima had come across them in one of his many books, who had used imagery called hieroglyphics  rather than letting in their writings, the carvings and drawings depicted on these walls showed only small, infantile versions of the people currently being rounded up for slaughter outside. 

Upon reaching the bottom of the curved stair-case, she realised what this place was, and the glow of her spear vanished. 

To her left and right were cribs of stone and marble lined with warm fabrics, the glass sides lit by a soft, warm light that changed to the need of the temperature of the occupant; these were  self regulating incubators, each with a single infant lying within. 

This was a nursery.

Though infants, unable to even hold up their own heads, posed no threat,  Proxima moved with care and hesitation, moving down the centre of the room with her head held high, only her eyes gave away her growing distress, the cries of multiple distressed infants cutting into her again and again.

Proxima, when she forced herself to look more closely, realised that each of the little ones were weak, deformed, and malformed to varying severities, from growths that would undoubtedly need surgery, to limbs that never formed in the womb. Some gazed out with blank, misted eyes that would never see the world, others were clearly born either deaf or mute, many seemed to be a cruel combination of several of these traits. 

How many faceless armies had she razed? How many worlds had been burned to cinders by her hand alone? This had been no different…it was necessary to her masters' cause, the reason she and the others served him, did the things no one else in the galaxy would be prepared to do, for the sake of a greater good. 

But…this felt different.

Armies were simply enemies who would end her life if she didn’t end theirs first, entire worlds had a population of varying ages, was blindingly obvious, and the masses of races that had been halved under Thanos orders no-doubt included children and infants, it was unavoidable after all.

Yet  this… what she had done just hours ago...it involved individuals, not faceless figures among crowds of many chosen to give their lives for their people to thrive, they had been unarmed, and, due to their varying deficiencies, would never be accepted into any position of threat. 

Reaching the end of the two lines of cribs and fully understanding exactly why Thanos had sent her here of all places, Proxima stood,  staring  at the wall in front of her, with its symbols of protection, mercy, health, childbirth around an image  of a Goddess surrounded by children, channelling her power into her weapon, the room became engulfed in the blue light of her three pronged spear in Proximas’ hand.

 

Proxima returned to the first floor, silent, almost robotic in her movements as she exited the temple, the two Outriders standing guard, followed a few paces behind, flanking her as they crawled down the steps as Proxima herself descended, it was time to report to Thanos.

The Ebony Maw was making his typical speech about ‘Salvation, thanks to the Great titan, how their sacrifice would lead to the survival of the rest of their people, and so on.

Proxima had heard this too many times to really hear a words he was saying, instead she walked past the crowds of civilians who had been separated into two halves with the Chitauri forces stood a few feet away,  keeping them grouped together under threat of blaster fire,  while Outriders prowled closer, circling the groups and snapping at the heels of those deemed to be breaking too far from the rest of the groups.

Proxima tried not to think of the irony of walking between the two groups, and how she had walked down the aisle created by the two lines of cribs containing those unable to understand their fate, let alone defend themselves from it.

Thanos stood tall, and proud as he oversaw the rounding up of the planets remaining people,  flanked from either side by Corvus and Cull. Proxima got to one knee before him, placing her spear beside her to place her right hand over her heart.

Thanos’ didn’t turn his gaze from the horizon and said

“ is it done?”

She kept her own eyes trained on the sand she knelt upon, fighting the tremor threatening to make itself know in her voice

“It is, Father. No-one remains, as you commanded.” she told him.

Despite Proximas emotionless expression, the dead-pan look in her eyes as she mentaly attempted to distance herself from what she’d just done, THanos could see where her mind was threatening to take her and decided to interject

“Children are innocent, blameless, yet they are forced to be the heaviest price to be paid, and we are the ones who must bear that knowledge, along with the  responsibility of being the ones to end their torment.”

Proxima nodded obediently 

“Yes Father”

He bid her to stand, silently motioning for her to take her place alongside the others, and Proxima wordlessly took her place to Thanos right, beside her husband.

Corvus tried to meet her gaze, yet she avoided him with ease, watching dispassionately as the Chitauri rained blaster fire upon the section of survivors chosen to die for the sake of those who remained.

Thanos turned to his Children, to address them over the screams 

“Your youngest sisters were lucky to have been survivors of, not only,  their planets disorganisation and lack of vision, but the inevitable salvation we delivered them. As those that survived your own planets’ salvation were, they’ll have grown to see their planet start anew, and correct their previous mistakes, thrive on the resources they would not have had if you had not lead the mission to deliver that salvation.”

Proxima had heard this so many times, and many rendition of it, but listened and nodded obediently 

“Less than 100 births a year, many born in similar conditions as you no doubt saw. The mothers who successfully carried to term all died in childbirth, or soon after, and often the child would have passed during labour as well, or, soon after. For the ones that survived this in order to spare them a lifetime of pain and suffering.”

Proxima averted her gaze

‘But those little ones won’t, because they’re dead’

The own thought is unwelcome and she pushes it away, nails pushing into the flesh of her palm, and when she felt Corvus’ claws lightly, discreetly, brush her wrist, she jerked it way, eyes fixed on the slaughter occurring before them. 

The dying shrieks around her eased the screams of dying infants echoing in her mind; she’d tried to make it quick, but…

 

Sanctuary 2

Proxima wretched and gagged over the toilet, her stomach empty after she’d been too distracted by her own thoughts to eat. Breathing heavily for a moment, waiting for her  stomach to stop cramping.

Once it had, she splashed her face with cold water, and after wiping her face with a towel, Proxima placed both hands either side of the sink, hanging her head, hating herself for having such a visceral reaction. 

A short knock at the closed door caught her attention, and  Corvus called to her 

“My love, are you well?”

Proxima wanted to roll her eyes, her inner turmoil made her more outwardly defensive

“I’m fine, Go back to bed” she called back, her voice sounded  hoarse and tired.

 

She wanted to remain here, alone with her thoughts until she could put them away and forget this ever happened. But Mental and physical exhaustion clawed at her, and she knew she could not avoid her husband, who would no doubt wish to discuss the matter.

With no other choice, however, she forced herself to exit  the washroom and crawl back into the bed she shared with Corvus, who watched her intently

“What happened?” he pressed.  

Proxima turned to face away from him with a defeated sigh

“Nothing, just Leave it alone, I'm alright now”

But Corvus refused to be doged so easily and lifted his hand to the dome light which was set into the wall between the iron headboard and shelf above.

Proxima groaned in annoyance as the room was illuminated in soft light, when all she wanted to do was sleep off the stresses of the day.

But Corvus was insistent 

“Proxima, do not lie to me, of all people.”

 

He lent over and  used both hands to turn her to face him. Proxima resisted at first but eventually gave in and limply rolled over to press the front of her body to his, tucking her head beneath his chin, leaning her forehead to his sternum.

He stroked long thin fingers through her shoulder length hair, hearing her fast, ragged breaths, and feeling the small shudders engulfing her form. Proxima tightened her grip on the fabric of the shirt he chose to sleep in, and, almost without meaning to, it all came tumbling out of her, the crowd of females she’d first encountered and driven from the building, the underground nursery, the malnourished, malformed younglings in their cribs, the painting on the wall…the blood on her hands afterwards…the disturbed cries from the younglings pining for attention or food, which had morphed into instinctive screams of fear as Proxima methodically silenced in one in turn. 

But the piercing silence once it was done had been worse, so much worse. 

 

Finally, once Proxima had finished explaining she sat up abruptly, tearing herself from Corvus’ arms, wiping the tears from her eyes, denying their presence altogether, partly crossing her legs beneath the bed covers while letting them fall to reveal the sports bra style top that clung to her upper body.  Recalling the memory made her press the heels of her hands to her closed eyes, in the vein hope the pressure would rid her of the images replaying in her mind.

Corvus sat up beside her

“Why are you so reluctant to face me, Midnight?”

Proxima sighed heavily, still as a statue

“You shouldn't have to see me this way. I don't want you to-”

Corvus shifted closer to embrace her from behind, his embrace firm, his skin warm against her own

"My love, My wife, how many years has it been? I would think, by now I have seen you in perhaps as many states as one can feel, from your best to your worst and everything in between, am I wrong?

She hesitated

“-No but…”

Corvus interjected 

 “As you have seen me at mine. So don't feel you have to hide from me, my love, never.”

Proxima knew he was right of course, as he often was and continued

 “I just....hate that I was put into that position. You or any of the others, Chitauri, the Outriders...Thanos could have sent anyone else but he commanded me to do it.”

Despite her trust in her husband, she was careful, as it was second nature now, not to voice her anger at the one who gave the order, but rather the order itself.

“Why? Surely he cannot know of my past”

Corvus hand stroked the top of her arm, still holding her close to him

“ I'm afraid it's hard, impossible even, to say. But you know that, if that is the case, Thanos heard nothing of it from me.”

This made Proxima turn to take his face in her hands

“I know, of that I am certain, my love. Never doubt my trust in you” she stated, leaving no room for argument.

 

Relieved to see that spark in her he loved so much, Corvus took her wrists in either hand and lent his forehead to hers 

“In that case, promise me you'll not hide from me, whatever it is, you can tell me, you can trust me”

Proxima let her eyes fall closed, a small smile curling at the corners of her mouth 

“ I know. I promise, If you'll do the same” she countered

Corvus huffed quietly  in amusement; much of their relationship was built on give and take, so negotiating something as simple as emotion, and honesty, was not surprising

“I will”

He released her wrists and Proxima slipped her arms around his neck, crossing her wrists in the nape of his neck, and Corvus let his hand fall to her hips

“Do you think you might be able to sleep?” 

Proxima nodded once 

“I think so”

Corvus nodded once in response before turning to touch his palm to  the dome light in order to return the room to its former darkness while Proxima laid back down. Corvus himself never slept, due to the abilities of his glaive, but still he laid beside his wife as he brought the thin greying bed cover up to cover their bodies.

 

Of course they laid within arms reach of each other, one of her hands rested on his side, his came to rest in the dip of her waist.

Proxima had to admit she felt…better, like a terrible weight had been bearing down on her but had now been lifted

“Thank you”  she muttered, feeling the tendrils of sleep begging to wrap at the fringes of her now calmer mind.

She felt her husbands claws prick against her skin lightly, reassuring her further 

“Always” 

It was a response they’d repeated to each other so many times in response to various requests and promises to one another,  yet they had almost always managed to keep their word to their partner, with the meaning and assurance behind this simple word never waning.

Thus, this was all Proxima needed to hear, and soon Corvus laid in silence, listening to his wifes' rhythmic breathing as she slept, he hoped, peacefully for the rest of the night.

Notes:

Inspiration taken from Children of Thanos, Chapter 21 by Fierceawakening

 

Chapter endings are not my strong suit, so apologies if it feels a bit weak in comparison. I've not been well, on top of having a bad dose of writers block, so I'm trying to get back into the swing of things

Chapter 74: SOLITARY

Summary:

A WHAT IF drabble where Proxima and Corvus have decided to separate for a while

Chapter Text

 She’s barely awake yet, but out of instinct she reaches for him, so used to waking with some part of them touching.  What meets her touch is only emptiness, as vast and gaping as the never ending expanse of Space before her, the only thing that sets the two things apart? Space is pierced every so often with the light of distant stars and suns, what consumes Proxima is nothing but blackness, empty, cold, utterly devoid of any trace  light to keep it at bay.

  The realisation of her solitude   knocks the air from her lungs, jolting her in consciousness with a suddenness she isn’t used to, it makes her rip her hand back as though it burned.

 

That empty space beside her feels like it’s spreading, crawling over her, wrapping around her like tentacles, squeezing, pushing their way right through her gut, into every vein, every muscle, constricting with the intent of strangling every cell of her body until she can barely breathe. Proxima darts to her feet to escape it, recoiling from the bed that should have held two sleeping bodies rather than one. 

Though Corvus technically  never slept, instead he would lay with his wife until she fell asleep, sometimes for a while after, before leaving to work on something alone, or train in the Sanctuary 2s’ purpose-made simulation controlled rooms. Inevitably though, he would return to their chambers, crawl back beside her, dozing until rest hours ended, and Proxima would wake, without fail, to his hand on her his, her hand covered by his, her leg tucked between his, anything. 

Violence has become such second nature that she doesn’t think twice as she pulls back her fist and smashes it into the wall, she doesn’t care that her bones crack. Something definitely breaks somewhere in there, it wouldn’t be the first time, but as she brings the appendage close to hold it against  her body, bile rises in the back of her throat as she crushes her eyes closed, trying to focus on the pain radiating in her hand and up her arm, anything to distracted her from the numbing sensation still  trying to engulf her.

Her teeth grit together as her legs give way, she falls to her knees with sound she barely recognises’, ironically reminding her of the primal snarls and growls her husband is able to emit.  

She wants’ to hit the wall with her injured hand until every bone was broken and she could feel nothing but the pain of shattered bone, it had to be preferable to what this feeling was. Had Corvus been here he’d surely stop her. One hit, he might have allow, only to cradle her hand in his, and look it over protectively and fetch the healing gel she knows is in the cabinet. But he’d draw the line at letting her shatter her entire hand, he’d encase her body in his arms, restraining her until her anger subsided and the need to lash out, even at her own expense, drained away.

 

She tries not to imagine strong, wiry arms around her, her husbands’ body heat beating into her back as he holds her…

It had been so long since it had been just her.  Of course she was capable, skilled in her own right, and had handled virtually every solo mission with efficiency and tenacity. But she could be reckless, eager for the rush and adrenaline of battle, fully able to plot and follow a plan, but if the chance of further glory in battle, to proudly display the might of the Black Order in Thanos name, in her husbands’ name, she does not let that chance pass her by.  

They hadn’t always worked so well together, but, just as their relationship had, things evolved, things changed, and eventually they began the perfect team, Corvus the strategist, she his willing sword who carried out his plans and cut down their enemies with passionate  precision. Corvus always, and gladly, had her back, as she had his, working together as one until their masters goals were reached, and victory claimed. In essence, Corvus was always the one with the plan, Proxima was more ‘act now, think later’ their respective strengths making them a deadly force  on the battlefield, working almost as one terrifying, undefeatable force.

Their passion and ferocity reaches far beyond their work however, as a team they are unstoppable, as a couple they are so much more, never shying from the electrifying tension that seems to ignite between them whenever they are in close proximity to each other, meaning they often struggled to keep their hands off  each other. 

After all, it had started out that way.

 Boredom, the frustration of stagnant living between missions, coupled with Proximas’ monthly ‘heat’ cycle all culminated in an eventual desperate,  almost feral roll in the sheets one fateful day. 

Afterwards they had sworn it would never happen again, until it did. 

Then it happened  again, and again, until it was only him she wanted, even when she found some other male to sate her during her cycle and she’d been away on respite, it was Corvus Glaive who clawed at her thoughts, his name that was dangerously close to forcing it’s way past her lips. 

 

After a while she realised it had come to mean more to him than it did her, still she couldn’t keep away, so it had continued, and soon it came to mean more to her as well.  Corvus had said the words first, while Proxima had been more reluctant, but slowly, over time, he’d managed to pick away at the wall she’d built around herself, never too intrusive, but just enough to see who she was behind those walls, only growing to love her more and more.

Proxima lent forward, still on her knees, burying her hands in her hair, clawing at her scalp, she cages a short, shrap scream behind her teeth but it still leaves her throat raw and burning. She tries to ignore the nagging urge to admit that she wished she said it more, proclaimed her love for him as often and as adamantly as he proclaimed his, but that just wasn’t who she was, her declarations of devotion were spoken by more physical means.

Corvus was the more eloquent one, able to leave her breath caught in her throat, her species couldn’t physically blush, not outwardly  but the sensation within was the same, and he was always able to to find the words, string them together to invoke reactions from her that she never knew herself capable of.

But now she is alone, in the relative silence of the auto-piloted Q-ship, with no enemies to enact her vengeance upon, no plan on where she will go, not knowing how she is meant to know when he wants her to find him, if he ever will.  She shoves that thought down right away, because she just can’t handle the idea of never seeing her again, as ashamed as she is, she needs something to cling to, and the possibility of their reuniting one day will keep her going.

She feels her chest tighten, the tentacles of that thick, suffocating emptiness working its’ way through every part of her body, she lifts her uninjured hand to her chest, digging short bitten down nails into her battle suit, unable to even feel that, and it has nothing to do with the necessary thickness of the material made to protect her during battle.

She remains slumped on the floor of the ship, shaking, she insists from cold rather than the turmoil of emotions fighting their silent war inside her,

 

She has tried pretending, as laughable as it sounds because she isn’t a child, and is far too old, too battle hardened for belief, but still, she tried. Separation was nothing new, solo missions were inevitable, even expected of them many times, but each time, she knew in the back of her mind, he would be waiting for her return, just as she awaited his when it was Corvus who had left for a mission. 

Then there were the times he’d died, how she’d practically always react as though his glaive would not restore him, how Thanos would occasionally have to excuse her from training and duties, her emotions would get the better of her and manifest in an unpredictable rage that could leave multiple bodies of techs and lower level servants in its wake.

 It was one of the only things that could and would drawn any sense of uncontrollably emotion out of the Second General of the Black Order, any other time, in any other situation she would remain eerily calm, taciturn in speech and her reactions, despite Thanos’ best efforts to train such emotionally charged reactions out of her, her protectiveness during Corvus times of recovery would not be curbed. 

On their wedding night Corvus had entrusted her, officially, with his glaive, and thus his life; in return she, honoured beyond comprehension of how deep his trust in her truly ran, had vowed never to let anything happen to it under her care should his life be lost in battle or any other means.

She hates it, hates the empty feeling clawing at her insides, she hates that she has to fight the sting of tears that threaten to press her eyes from their sockets. She hates that she feels only half present, half…alive without him.  She feels weak, in every way one being can feel weak, The thought of living her life, carrying on, without him beside her feels as impossible

 She wants to hate him, but she just can’t bring herself to, because, and this is the worst thing…He had been right; it’s best they separate, at least  for now.

Proximas’ entire body feels heavy, impossibly so, whether it was from the weariness of releasing so much pent up anger and emotion in a single short burst of emotion, or the weight of her heart resting in her chest, yet she steeles her resolve, pushes aside any trace of the raw emotion she had been struggling so intensely with, and gets to her feet.

One day  he will leave her a sign, and she’ll know she has permission to search for him, and they will reunite. And against all odds, Proxima stands to face another day, to roam the galaxy in solitude.

Chapter 75: ALE AND INSULTS

Summary:

Proxima and Corvus are enjoying some time R and R away from the Sanctuary 2. Unfortunately the have to deal with some locals who think it's smart to insult two powerful members of the Black Order.

Chapter Text

 Proxima ignored the leering eyes raking over her form, instead she focused on the task at hand; being in the middle of a game of Liars’ Dice with a couple of Ravagers. While  She still proudly wore her arm and leg armour but In place of her usual thick battle suit, is a short sleeved top that reached her knees, the fabric was split on either side, revealing a pair of thigh length leggings underneath.

After glancing at her opponents, she declared her results, lifting her cup to reveal her dice as proof, sitting back in her seat.

“Pay up” she ordered. 

 In response to the chorus of disgruntled groans and muttered complaints she crossed one leg over the other, watching the three males tossed  tokens and transferred money electronically, Proxima watched on the small screen of her multipurpose communication band on her wrist, watching the amount in her account rise with well concealed glee.

One of her gambling companions took a long drink from his glass, slamming it back down loudly

“Another game”

Proxima agreed and sat forward, gathering her dice and tipping them into the dark wood cup used to play the game, the others did the same, watching the female sceptically.

Proxima found their suspicious expressions amusing

“Double or nothing, maximum number of dice; five.” she stated 

The three males paused, one looking shocked, another looking reluctant, and the third, a humanoid male with dark green skin which gradually lightened around his eyes and hands, his expression was one of growing annoyance

“What, Thanos doesn’t pay you well, mercenary?” 

Proximas’ smirk took on a cruel undertone 

“I don’t work for Thanos for the money. But if anyone wishes to concede you aren’t being forced to continue” she goaded

Her orange eyes boring into the green skinned males ice blue ones, challenging him to leave or stay. 

She already knew what he would do.

The third male tipped his dice into his own cup, simultaneously the group rattled their cups contained their own sets of dice, and above the noise and casual ruckus of the bar, Proxima counted down

“3, 2…1!” 

The four of them slammed down their cups, tipping them up to empty the contents onto the table, which still kept them concealed under their containers.

Corvus Glaive watched from the bar, sipping from a dull coloured tankard, sharp eyes scanning the crowd, alert as always, but nothing seemed off so his eyes returned to far more pleasing sights, Proxima looked at each of her opponents in turn as the made their wagers, with her going last.

Corvus tensed but otherwise didn’t react when the green skinned male suddenly shot to his feet, stepped around the table and threw a punch

“Liar! You have to be cheating…” 

Proxima grabbed his wrist, tripped him to off balance him and flipped his entire body over, slamming him onto the tables’ surface which promptly gave way under her opponents sudden weight, his companions had stood and quickly stepped out of the way, watching in shock.

With the male lying groaning and bleeding, Proxima stepped over him, ensuring to plant her booted foot on his chest as she did so.

Without looking back she addressed him and his friends

"Collect my winnings and bring them over. If any of it is missing you’ll regret it.”

As she approached the bar Corvus took his wifes’ already extended hand, their eyes meeting intensely, their gazes never breaking even when their foreheads touched and their lips met in a brief exchange of affection.

 

Pulling away, Proxima pulled a Kavarrian sniffing jar closer with one hand, and when she turned, Corvus, without a word, slipped his hand up to gather her hair and hold it away from her face as she lent forward to inhale the sickly sweet smoke; Corvus himself had no interest, since his glaive prevented any kind of alcohol or drug form truly taking effect on his mind and body. 

Proxima exhaled with a quiet, euphoric sigh, quickly feeling her body relax as it reacted to the effects of the smoke. Leaning back, Proximas mouth captured his in a deep, passionate kiss and Corvus hand tightened in her hair, close to the point of pain, Proximas’ lustful moan was quickly smothered as Corvus took the opportunity to push his tongue past her lips, feeling her gladly and eagerly accept and respond, unbothered by the rest of the customers in the bar, who, in return, paid them no mind.

Slightly breathless, Proxima ended the kiss, taking a long sip from her glass just as her opponents from the game of Liars’ Dice approached, putting a bulging, drawstring coin purse on the counter, dropping several larger tokens beside it

“As promised,” he grumbled before skulking away.

Out of the corner of her eye, Proxima saw him try to slide one of the larger tokens away and her hand came down hard and fast, practically crushing his wrist in her hold

“That would be most unwise.” she warned.

“Agh! Please… no I…” 

The bartender coughed loudly, intentionally interrupting, he froze however when the couple, Proxima and Corvus, turned, foreheads still touching, to face him.

Corvus merely quirked his brow with intrigue, with a near sympathetic edge to his otherwise blank expression while Proximas’ eyes narrowed in anger, Corvus silently extracted himself from his wife to step to one side.

Meanwhile, the green skinned male from the dice game  tried to claw Proximas' hand from his wrist,  even as her grip tightened, again and again…until the bone popped, and a blinding, searing pain flared through him, making his knees buckle as he screamed in agony.

Beneath the bar, the bartenders hand wrapped around the handle of a metal bat

“Hey we don't want trouble here, are we gonna have a problem?” 

Proxima released the arm of the male who’d tried to steal her tokens, even as he collapsed at her feet before crawling a few feet and staggering to his feet, clutching his now shattered arm she did spare him even a brief second glance.

Proxima fully faced the now pale bartender, her expression an emotionless mask as she reached her hand towards the ceiling; calling her spear which had been placed out of sight by the table she'd been gambling at, now it soared through the air to her hand, making customers duck and call out in alarm

She twirled the weapon  it in her fingers and levelled the handle, with his glowing bar of blue energy, at the bar tenders throat as she addressed him

"No trouble; he accused me of cheating, I taught him a lesson.”

She lowered her weapon and put it aside with a  flourish that made the bartender flinch.

“Now be a good boy and put down the bat you have  in your hand beneath the bar, and fetch my husband and I-”

She cast Corvus a brief, private, smile before returning her emotionless facade back at the bartender

“-Another round, once we're done we shall leave your rat-hole of an establishment  in peace”

Proxoma took a seat on one of the bar stools, and Corvus drifted back to her side, his threatening red gaze coupled with Proximas’ eerily calm, cold stare made the Bartender hold up both hands in defeat before he set about fetching what they wanted.

Corvus looked at his wife, discreetly pushing away the sniffing jar from her reach

“Are you going to live up to that promise, my love?” he questioned sceptically 

Proxima chuckled

“I might, it isn’t worth what little energy it would take to raze this place to nothing.” she then drained the dregs of her glass

“And the ale here is at least somewhat half-decent. I might want to come back one day” 

The sound of a dropped glass smashing on the stone floor behind the bar was heard and Proxima chuckled.

Spear in hand she got to her feet, standing just an inch or so from her husband

“Why don’t we go back to the ship? We’ll have it all to ourselves, for a couple of hours at least.”  she teased suggestively. 

With quiet growl, Corvus titled his head slightly, about to rest his hands on her waist when a voice grumbled loudly under their breath 

“Get a room!” 

Proxima looked over her right where the bartender was wiping their abandoned glasses, and offered him a disappointed expression but Corvus eyes twitched as he reached for his glaive

“Midnight…?”

Proxima sighed, but, compelled by his imploring tone, took a step back

Fine

Corvus turned  to the bartender but continued addressing his wife

“You’ve had your fun, my love, and this wretch has been grating on my nerves all evening” he growled. 

Proxima walked past him, holding up a hand

“Wait!” 

Corvus did so, but rolled his eyes as Proxima continued past the bar, pushing the bartender aside to take a bottle  from the shelf.

The bartender tried to protest 

“Hey, you can’t just-” 

Proxima grabbed the back of his neck and slammed his face into the surface of the bar, breaking his nose, before returning to her seat and taking a drink from the bottle she’d taken.

Pulling the sniffing jar closer to her she gestured to Corvus 

“Ok, carry on” 

Corvus smiled; his fanged, grey-skinned, monstrous visage had been the final sight of many a poor wretch, on many worlds, this would just be one more to add to the extensive list, the bartenders face just another blur in an unending sea of those who had fallen to the wrath of Corvus Glaive.

The slight of interrupting a moment with his beloved Proxima may be small in comparison, given the couple served the Great Titan, but it was a slight nonetheless.

“Shame” Proxima sighed as they exited the bar

“The ale there really was rather good.” 

Corvus removed the bloody gauntlets from his hands, using one to wipe more of the same substance from the blade of his glaive, carrying all three in one hand, taking Proximas’ with his free hand

“I’m sure I can make it up to you, my love” he purred at her ear

Proximas’ black lips curled into a sly smile

“I look forward to it, husband” she challenged. 


She had no doubt that he would indeed make it up to her; the ale here was good, but not that good after all, and the way Corvus had dealt with the bartender for his comment, well…of course it did things to her, making her body react in ways only her husband could satisfy.

Chapter 76: ARGUMENT

Summary:

Corvus says something regrettable, throwing Proximas' greatest insecurity back in her face.

Notes:

MASSIVE thanks to my good friend Ilya-Halfelven for helping me out, again, with this chapter ❤

Chapter Text

 

 Another mission completed, another tribute for her master collected, and another victory to Proxima Midnight. 

Settling into the Q ships’ pilot seat, she leaned back and stretched her arms, easing a cramp in her back at the same time. Relaxing once more, she checked the ships’ stats  and set the auto-pilot, deciding to make a call on the holo-communication system. Getting to her feet, she rolled the sleeves of her suit up past her elbows as she moved to stand at the large circular table in the centre of the ship, typing in the appropriate code.

It took several seconds but her call was soon answered.

 Corvus greeted warmly

“Midnight”

The projection was greatly scaled down from the responders actual height, and slightly pixelated but the recipient was still clear.

Proxima smiled softly, feeling the tension in her shoulders ease at the familiar sight of her husbands features 

“I’m on my way back at last.” 

Corvus smiled 

“Victorious I take it? Did they relinquish Thanos’ tribute, willingly?” 

Proxima nodded once

“Of course, what do you take me for, husband? And yes, they did. Shame, I was so looking forward to taking on their ‘legendary’ armies for myself” 

Corvus chuckled

“It was most inconsiderate to leave me to bear with the company of The Maw, alone , for so long” 

Proxima chuckled 

“Ah, that is hardly my fault, my love.” 

A smirk, a particular, recognisable smirk, graced his greyish features and Proxima felt a thrill of anticipation crawl down her spine. 

Corvus went on

“But holding you responsible for my misery shall be far more enjoyable, My Midnight star, believe me” 

Proxima chuckled and  bit her lip while meeting his gaze, knowing it drove him wild

“I fully intend to hold you to your word.”

Corvus met her gaze

“I shall await your return with great…anticipation”

Proxima smirked, their light-hearted exchange morphing into a fierce, electrifying desire they claimed all for their own.

She paused however, noting that something seemed…off about her partner

“You seem…tense, how are things?” 

Her husband sighed heavily, his was wife so perspective it was uncanny

“…Strained,  I’ll not deny it.”

Proxima lent forward in her seat slightly

“Tell me”

Corvus silently, and without malice,  cursed his wifes’ perceptiveness and his own unwillingness to even attempt to lie to her

“Gamora grows more and more resentful, more hostile by the day” 

Proxima lent forward, resting her elbows on the table in front of her

“Is that so unusual?” 

Corvus glanced to one side before returning his eyes to hers

“This is…different, more open, and  directed at Thanos himself. Openly. The master waves it away, treating her like a wayward, troubled adolescent, but his patience will not last. I fear…”

A weighted pause passed between them, Corvus even seemed to visibly sag under his own unspoken words.

Proxima, having grown more concerned with the seriousness in his tone, and general stress on his features, probed further

“Do you truly think she will try to leave?” 

She kept her voice low as a precaution and when he replied Corvus did the same

“I do not know, I truly don’t. If she does, the repercussions will reach us all, without fail, you know how he feels about his ‘little one.’

Proxima sighed, brow creasing as a multitude of thoughts, concerns, and notions formulated in her mind

“Perhaps. But you’re right, Thanos’ patience, and leniency, for her  will run out”

Corvus agreed

“Indeed. That reminds me, he has been in contact with Ronan” 

Proximas’ expression soured

“That Xenophobic, Kree fanatic, why?” 

Corvus shrugged a shoulder beneath his thick cloak

“It has something to do with talks of a treaty between the Xandarians and the Kree.”

He caught the way Proximas’ mouth twisted  in mild disgust, but he went on

“I’m certain Thanos will reveal all to us when he chooses.” 

He could see, and understand his wifes’ scepticism but neither of them acknowledged it, certainly not out loud for others to hear.

After a few beats of silent speculation, Corvus spoke again, diverting the subject somewhat

“Thanos… gifted Nebula another enhancement, last week.” 

Proxima, who had lowered her head in thought, lifted her gaze

“Perhaps if she improved  through her own volition and actually managed to beat Gamora in combat, for once, she would not need to under-go enhancements” she stated, half rolling her eyes.

She had no sympathy for the Lumphomoid, despite being the most involved in Nebulas’ early introduction to life as a Child of Thanos out of all of her fellow Black Order members.

Corvus made a sound of acknowledgment but chose to disagree with her logic

“She sees Gamora as a sister, each time Thanos’ pits them against each other in training she hopes that this time will be when Gamora will go easy on her, let her win and spare her more enhancements.”

Proxima huffed

“Nebula  isn’t a child anymore, it’s time she realised that it won’t happen. If Gamora lost to Nebula of all people, Thanos’ view of her would shift, and she can’t risk that. Nebula needs to find her own way of surviving and gaining Thanos' favor instead of relying on Gamora someday seeing her pain and showing her mercy; mercy doesn’t survive under Thanos.” 

Had this not been drilled into all of them enough  by now?

Corvus replied without thinking

“Did we not offer whatever  discreet mercies we could when Thanos had us prove ourselves? Would you, if it were us and I  hypothetically, did not have the glaive to restore me? Would you allow me to triumph and risk undergoing enhancements yourself, or fight until you had brought me down to the point of needing said enhancement?”

If looks could kill, Proximas’ stare would have annihilated him there and then

That . Is not. The same ” she hissed.

Not unlike their two youngest ‘siblings’ she and Corvus had been pit against each other multiple times, not in simple training exercises, or in a voluntary scrap to pass the time between missions, but as tests of their loyalty to Thanos against their loyalty to each  other.  

Thankfully, since their marriage, these ‘tests’ were very much few and far between.

They also never spoke of these times, usually.

 In her anger Proxima got to her feet, speaking through clenched teeth she held up her heavily scarred arm

“I would take a full cybernetic enhancement over… this” 

Corvus glanced at her arm, and his eyes widened a fraction 

“Midnight,  I did not mean-''

Proxima cut him of sharply

"You didn't mean to remind me of my weakness , that I will never regain full feeling in my arm,and that Thanos continuously denies me a replacement?" She snarled.

Corvus quickly conceded 

“I apologize, Proxima only meant…”

She cut him off with a single venomous word

Don’t ” 

Any lesser man would have flinched at her tone, but Corvus was no such man

“Proxima…”

She turned her head to her left, refusing to meet his gaze with a derisive sound, she  exhaled sharply, resting one hand on the surface of the table, leaning some of her weight on it, she narrowed her eyes

“You don’t understand.”

With her jaw clenched, the skin on her left arm prickled and began to burn, but she knew it was only psychosomatic, a psychological trick she was occasionally forced to suffer through after the accident 

Of course she was relieved to have lived through the event that could have claimed not only her arm and leg but her life, had it not been for her husband

“You have your glaive, Nebula has her enhancements, Gamora has hers, as concealed as they are, yet every day I’m forced to prove I can survive and fully serve Thanos while living with the damage that mission left me with.” 

Every  new enhancement given to her ‘sisters’ was just another reminder that, despite Proxima being Thanos first ‘adopted daughter’ she was unworthy of the time and effort it would take to replace her limbs, instead,  Thanos still had her use the specialized  armor he’d had commissioned shortly after the accident.

Proxima, along with Corvus, Obsidian, and the Maw were named, across the galaxy, as the Children of Thanos, only  as a sort of moniker; used to insight fear into the hearts and minds of those who heard it, and Gamora, and, perhaps Nebula to an extent, were the only ones the Titan considered to be truly his children, and the only ones worthy of the treatment he offered the two younger females.

When Proxima dragged her bitten nails over her scars Corvus wanted to take her hand, preventing her from doing so but he had a feeling that even if he were there aboard the Q-ship with her, he knew she would not allow it.

Proxima lent on the table, both palms pressed hard to the surface, as though being pushed down by the weight of the silence that came crashing down between them for several seconds

“Do-do you regret it-?” 

Proximas’ tone was cold but uncharacteristically quiet - the only inclination of fear she would ever show.

Thinking he knew what her question was to be, Corvus interjected

“My love, of course.  I never should have made the comparison-” 

Proxima interrupted however

“Do you regret us, our union? Now that I’m…defective. Even Thanos deems it unnecessary to give me any form of enhancement...” 

Corvus could see now  his words had cut her deeply, he all but worshiped his beloved wife  and was perhaps the only person in his entire existence, other than his brother, whom he cared for

“Midnight…”

Proxima silently refused to look at him, and instead focused on her arm, scratching at the fading scars as she swallowed the uncomfortable lump that had formed in her throat. 

She had always  faced life with a careful scrutiny born from past betrayals, she did not trust easily, even her faith in Thanos could be classed as dubious, though it was never spoken of, and she ensured she never acted or spoke out of turn, never giving Thanos a single hint of imminent betrayal.

She liked to think her faith and trust in her husband was a far more certain thing, but lifelong habits were hard to break, and despite her outward air of confidence, but Proxima was in fact rather an uncertain creature in some aspects, surviving by concealing her doubts and insecurities behind well crafted walls of indifference.

Walls she had only ever let Corvus see behind, and, he realised, he had just thrown that right back in her face

 “My love, you’re quite right; it is not the same, and I shouldn’t have made the comparison.

 ‘Proxima, you are not defective , I could never think such things! With or without enhancements, with or without your armor you are  strong, cunning and not only capable but an exceptional warrior.”

He felt relieved she finally lifted her eyes enough to meet his gaze, proving that she was listening. 

“You will forever be worthy in my eyes, as a warrior and as my wife, nothing will ever change that.”

The tension between them had already started to fade, Proximas’ posture began to relax.

Corvus ached to reach reach for her, tuck the errant strand of navy hair from her cheek before caressing her cool skin, cupping her cheek in his heated palm

“I have missed you my love, and await you return eagerly…” 

Her expression softened just a fraction, noticeable only to Corvus, and she replied without the previous cold snap in her tone

“I know” 

Proxima let the corner of her mouth lift

“As do I” 

Her previous ire faded almost entirely at the reminder of her imminent return, with a successfully acquired tribute for Thanos, and upcoming reunion with her husband.

Chapter 77: FEAR

Summary:

The foreign, rare feeling of fear, in fact, sheer terror, engulfed her, this was exactly the kind of scenario she always dreaded and feared the most.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

With Thanos occasionally using the domain of the chitauri as a base of operations, it wasn’t often that the Black Order was called to the asteroid field, also known as The Sanctuary.

Proxima hated it, detested it.

Heights, specifically falling from them was one of Proxima Midnights’ only fears, though she hated admitting that was what it was, but although she traversed the rocky terrain as though it were sturdy, stable ground, in fact the openness, the threat of empty, unending Space under foot should she make a single misstep, made her feel sick.

But there was no choice, since she was called upon after a calamitous mission which had not ended in Thanos’ favour.  Knowing neither weakness nor arrogance would be tolerated, Proxima kept her head held high, but her eyes averted as she approached Thanos, his intimidating form seated in a thick rocky throne, hovering several inches above the ground, making him appear even more threatening. 

Then there was the…creature that lingered in shadows to her left,  glaring as they followed Proxima until she stopped to kneel before her master.

The cloaked figure, with it’s sickly pale skin concealed by a hood, reminded Proxima or a snake as they stepped soundlessly from the shadows to stand closer to Thanos throne, pyramiding long gnarled fingers in-front of him, pointing them downwards.

Proxima took her beratement in silence as Thanos verbally tore into her for her failure, every so often his voice would rise in volume but almost immediately he would correct himself and continue addressing his subordinate in a far measured and sinister tone. Even as she focused on Thanos' words, from the corner of her eye she remained aware of the cloaked figure from before silently moving towards her, circling until he was behind her.

The Other. Thanos' personal servant, and a very dangerous creature. Now that he was behind her, and she was unable to look and keep her eye on him, Proxima almost shuddered, wanting to curl her lip in disgust at the creature being any closer to her.  His resemblance to The Maw, along with The Others own distasteful traits and general  personality, it was no wonder Corvus despised him too.



Finally, Proxima was ordered to stand, as she did Thanos added

“Do you have anything to say of your failure, Proxima Midnight?” he demanded

Proxima swallowed hard, weighing her options and their consequence

“No Father. I understand and accept your disappointment and will strive to never let you down in this way again”

Thanos grunted in irritation 

“I see. I accept your contrition, however…”

Proxima threw her head back with a pained yell when a hand grasped her neck from behind, fingers imprinting deep bruises as they grabbed for purchase on her flesh, and Proximas’ legs gave way. For a split second everything went black and when she opened her eyes, Proxima was horrified to find herself hanging over the edge of one of the pieces of asteroid that created the spiral staircase she had climbed in order to reach Thanos. 

Proxima clung to the edge, hanging there, surely her master wouldn’t…

Breathing heavily, eyes wide in fear, she felt her heart began to race, her palms became clammy as they dragged against the jagged stone to keep herself from falling; her legs flailed, instinctively searching for something solid to rest on, but of course it was fruitless and the foreign, rare feeling of fear, in fact, sheer terror engulfed her.

Dangling over the black void of space with nothing to break her fall, at all, no matter how long she fell for, was exactly the kind of scenario she always dreaded and feared the most; t he vulnerability it brought, and eventually death she would suffer, it broke her carefully built wall she, as a warrior and General of the Black Order, needed in order to survive.

She desperately clawed for purchase, glad for the specialized armor encasing her damaged left arm, without it she’d never have had the strength to hold her full weight in this way.

As she strained from holding all of her own weight to prevent herself from falling, The Other stepped into view, his face and upper body encased in gold looking down on her, in every sense of the word.

The Other hissed insults at the Black Order General

“Pathetic, such an unworthy servant of the Great titan, such a waste of potential. Such fear when faced with your one worst nightmare Proxima Midnight…”

Proximias’ mouth formed a snarl, wanting to hurl insults and threats of harm that should be anatomically impossible at The Other, but her mind was too focused on keeping herself stable, and having the self-control to at least not mouth off to the figure who could so easily send her hurtling downwards…

The Other spoke again, the gold plated steel entrapping his grotesquely mutilated  mouth glinting with spittle and blood

“Such a failure will not be tolerated a second time, see that you do not

The Other reached down, putting his hand roughly to Proximas; face, applying a near crushing pressure….

In a flash on blinding light, everything vanished and then reappeared as Proxima found herself flat on her back at The Others feet

An illusion, it had all been an illusion!

Looking up at Thanos, she watched as he waved a hand

“I think that’s enough, you’ve learnt your fate should you fail me so spectacularly again, Go!”

On command, and still in shock, Proxima scrambled back before getting to her feet, walking quickly away, practically running down the spiral of asteroid pieces that created the stairway to Thanos’ throne.

Climbing into the shuttle she’d used to reach the Sanctuary, Proxima  engaged the engines and set the ship to auto-pilot, setting the return coordinates from her last destination. 

 

The Sanctuary 2 was waiting in the distance, little more than an inaccurately shaped planet or star, but the Ten minute journey was not enough time for Proxima to calm herself, such was the level of shock and adrenaline pulsing through Proximas’ entire body, everything felt like it was shaking, the ground felt entirely unstable with each step.

She hardly noticed when she passed Corvus and Cull who had been traversing the same hallway in her direction, she darted between the brothers, not exactly ignoring her husbands’ call of her name, mind just…didn’t register it enough to acknowledge it.

Sitting heavily on the bed, Proxima, not too successfully, fighting the need to hyperventilate, holding her head she dug her bitten down nails into the sides of her head, hard, hard enough to hurt; she had to make herself feel something to keep herself grounded, to remind herself that she was back on solid ground again. 

In-spite of her lifestyle, Proxima wasn't used to feeling such bone-deep, strangling fear that had taken hold as she had hung over the abyss below the asteroid field, and the panic still refusing to leave her even though she was fine.

She loathed it, the feeling of weakness it left her with, the fact that she was shaking, her mind and body reacting as though she were still facing that same fear...

She distantly heard the doors open and  the clank of familiar footsteps approaching

“Midnight?”

She was sat with her eyes closed, tense and shaking

“Can’t breathe” 

Corvus, already knowing and having experience with her fear, adjusted his position, pushing her hair from her face

“Easy, I have you, you’re alright. You hear me, my love, my voice?” 

Trying to steady her breathing, she finally  nodded.

 Corvus reached for her wrists, hesitating when she flinched ever so slightly

“What can I do?” 

Ashamed of her current state, knowing what she wanted but reluctant to say so, she kept her eyes closed, shaking her head

“Leave. I can’t…you-I don’t want you to see me like this…” she hissed quietly.

Surprised, but determined to stand by his wife, Corvus stroked her cheek bones under his thumbs

“Proxima, I know that isn’t what you really want right now, and I know you far too well to be dissuaded by this…”

Moving her hair behind her shoulders to fully reveal her troubled face, Corvus cupped her jaw in both hands, he brought his forehead to hers

“Proxima, what is it you want?” 

His familiar voice, the tone he saved only for Proxima in moments like this, managed to break her

“Hold me.” 

She spoke so quietly and so quickly, Corvus almost missed it, but he immediately obliged her request.



After what felt like hours of simply lying on the bed, curled tightly against her husbands chest, letting his heartbeat, which was naturally a faster pace than due to his species, ease her back into a normal breathing pattern, he lay so that she was slightly beneath him, his warmth and weight providing further comfort as she calmed down enough to tell him what had happened.

"It's embarresing, shamful, for a General of Thanos to react in such a way..." Proxima stated through gritted teeth, tightening her grip on the bedsheets they lay upon.

Corvus took her hand, smoothing his thumb over the faded scars on the back of her hand

"You needn't be, Proxima, since we've been married I've always told you you don't have to afraid of seeming weak, not with me. You're my partner in all things, my greatest support in so many things, I only wish to do the same for you, no matter the circumstances; I would hope that, as your husband I would have your trust in that.

Proxima remained silent for several moments, but soon she nodded, shifting closer to him

"of course you do. I just..."

not needed to hear any more, Corvus hushed her, holding her tightly to him as he thread his fingers through her hair, whispering threats of physical violence against The Other, describing various prolonged ways he would one day end the sickly skinned creature they both hated so.

Corvus kissed his wifes’ forehead 

“Would sparring take your mind off of things?”

Proxima nodded and lifted her head to meet his gaze 

“I cannot promise I’ll not cause you severe injury” said, mostly in jest.

But her temper had been known to get the best of her, particularly in the face of such perceived humiliation as The Other had caused her by using her own, near debilitating fear.

Corvus chuckled 

“I’d expect nothing less than a challenge from you My Midnight, feel free to do your worst.” 

He’d traverse the worst corners of the universe for the woman in his arms, if working through her sometimes volatile emotions through physical violence, when no tributes needed collecting, no armies needed to be fought, no enemies needed to be overcome, and he was the best alternative, he would let her

“I would stand like a statue and take the blasts from your spear a thousand times over, letting the glaive heal my wounds again and again until you tire, or your ire has been sated, whichever comes first” he vowed, stroking her cheek with one hand

Proxima sighed, finally relaxing into him, tilting her head to rest her cheek more firmly in his palm with a whispered promise

“I’d never let it go that far. You, and you alone, are always safe from ‘my ire’ as you so eloquently call it” 

 

Sitting up, she straddled his waist with a smirk that still didn’t quite reach her eyes

“Plus, what would be the point if all you plan on doing is standing there? You expect nothing less than a challenge, well the same goes for me”

She dipped to press her lips to his 

“Consider both a thanks and a promise, for later. IF you can defeat me in the training rooms” 

Pride welled in her chest at the eager rumbling purr that escaped her husband, feeling it  vibrate through his chest under fingers.

He took her wrist to press a kiss to the back of her hand 

“Whatever you say My love.” he chuckled. 

As much as she wanted to continue as they were, she needed the rush of a decent fight to release the remaining, pent up adrenaline simmering in her veins. But as they left their chambers, hand in hand, her smirk finally changed to a private  smile she only shared with him,  because she knew Corvus meant it, in every way. 

Notes:

Ugh I'm so mean to Proxima

Chapter 78: HAIR

Summary:

After an incident during training, Proxima is feeling insecure, but Corvus supports and reassures her

Notes:

YES I've uploaded this chapter more than once, and deleted it, it just never fel 'right' and kind of half-hearted, now, I'm hoping, it's done and at it's best.

Chapter Text

HAIR - 

Corvus entered the quarters he shared with his wife, hearing a growl of frustration and metallic clatter from the bathroom, like something being thrown or dropped intentionally 

“Proxima?” 

She must have heard him call out to her, because she responded but without even opening the closed washroom door

“Leave” 

Corvus frowned and approached the door

“My love, are you sick? Injured?” 

He heard Proxima sigh and mumble loudly

“So over-protective…” 

She then raised her voice slightly to reply

“you must swear not to laugh”

She sounded…uncertain, concerned even! 

Corvus’ frown deepened 

“Never, my love” 

His tone alone was enough to reassure her, and Proxima opened the door to reveal herself. At first Corvus saw nothing amis, instead of her battle-suit she was dressed in a shoulder-less long sleeved top and leather leggings.

Then he saw her hair. 

Navy locks that had once reached the middle of her back, had been hacked at from one side, leaving it painfully, obviously, uneven.

Corvus went to her, his claws easily moved away locks of her hair, her neck was marked with tiny cuts and several scratches. 

“Proxima…”

Her expression remained emotionless as she turned her head for her husband to examine

“Gamora; a dirty trick during our sparring match” 

She fought to keep the extent of hurt from her tone but Corvus heard it nonetheless, but he was one of the only people she could trust to understand.

Corvus gently led her back into the washroom, seeing a pair of scissors lying in the sink along with more of Proximas’ hair as she had attempted to tidy it up so that it didn’t appear quite so bad.

He picked up the scissors, watching Proxima warily, until she turned away, almost in shame

“Just do it. I can’t reach the back.” 

As Corvus did as she’d asked, Proxima explained how their youngest adopted sibling had twisted the dagger into her (Proximas’) hair and pulled on it to slam the older females’ head to the floor, leaving a raised bruise on the back of her head. Proximas’ hair had been cut away as Gamora had yanked the blade away to free her weapon.

Finally Corvus stopped, putting down the scissors

“It’s done” 

Proxima turned, unwillingly,  to look. 

An audible shudder rocked her body, making her breath catch in her throat. She stared at her reflection in the mirror unhappily before turning sharply to leave the room. 

Disposing of the hair he’d had to cut away, Corvus followed her to the bedroom, finding Proxima sitting on the bed, elbows resting on her knees, hands balled into fists, head bowed as she stared at the floor.

Corvus approached immediately

“I know you’re disappointed but it will grow back, in time” 

Proxima bit back the venom she wanted to let slip into her tone, instead she kept her voice low and even 

“I know that”

Corvus spoke once again, thinking he knew the reason for her reaction

“You cannot think this would make me think any differently of you” 

Proxima responded bluntly 

“That isn’t it.”

After a beat she went on, admitting what was truly troubling her about the situation

“It looks…It looks like it did back then… ” 

Back when she had first been taken to Sakkar and sold to the Grand Master as a fighting slave, her once long hair had been cut haphazardly to her jawline.

 Due to Rhynarian biology, her hair had taken years to grown past her shoulders, and, while not particularly vain about her body or appearance, the growth of her hair had been important to her, a representation of her emancipation from her not only  past, but also the person she had once been back then. 

Corvus sat beside her, close enough that she could feel the heat radiating from his body, and Corvus ran his fingers through Proxima’s hair, his hand starting from the crown of her head to the now far too short  tips, it didn’t feel right but he didn’t show it.

Proxima, however tensed, and attempted to shift her body away from him, but Corvus wasn’t having it and grasped her arm gently; she had no reason to feel shame for this

“My Midnight, do not turn from me, please.”

She didn’t try to move away, and only with great reluctance did she half-turn her head to face him again.

Corvus continued 

“You are so much more than what you were back on Sakkar, you’ve come so far, become so capable and strong, even more so than before.” he insisted.

“You’re not a lowly pit fighting slave for The Granmast any longer, you’re a hardened warrior. You commanded armies, and  you’ve brought glory in the name of the Great Titan countless times!” 

He slowly took his hand from her arm to slide up her back, stroking her now much shorter hair with his claws. Proxima was reminded of when they were in bed together, Corvus would toy with a small section of her hair, winding it loosely around his fingers, or reaching  across to brush it away from her face when it fell forward as she slept.

Proxima never found it easy to be…open, to let herself be vulnerable, and allow herself to show when something was troubling her, especially when it was something seemingly so trivial, but Corvus already knew of her past and the insecurities her experiences had left her with, she didn’t have to worry that he would think her weak or ridiculous for worrying over something like her hair; because he understood the underlying meaning it held to her.

“You…enjoy my hair?” she questioned suddenly.

Corvus wanted to avoid the question but was compelled to answer his beloved with nothing but honesty

“You are always beautiful to me, you know that” he grumbled.

He went on despite his previous statement 

“On most creatures it seems entirely unnecessary, hideous even, but…it suits you” Corvus admitted in a low voice.

Proxima turned to face him fully

“Since when did you become so sentimental?” she asked lightly, placing her arms around his neck.

Corvus responded by pulling her over to straddle his lap

“Since I fell in love with you my dear, dear Midnight” 

He lent his forehead to hers, cupping the back of her head, and the tenseness in Proximas’ body started to ease, and she relaxed in his arms, grateful for the comfort and support he was always so ready and willing to offer her, despite her insecurities.

Chapter 79: Gift pt 3

Summary:

Corvus gives Proxima a special gift

Notes:

A little something for MidnightRebel999 who wanted Proxima and Corvus doing some couple type stuff ;)

Chapter Text

Thanos stepped down from the ship he used to travel away from the Sanctuary 2, it was not regularly used but constantly kept in prime condition for the Great Titan, with her ‘Father’  calling orders to some Chitauri servants to have the ship cleaned, refuelled and re-stocked with supplies, Gamora looked up, finding Corvus Glaive already waiting. 

Striding away from Thanis side, 16 year old Gamora  made her way to the steel set of stairs leading to the metal walkways a few feet above the landing bay floor.

Corvus wasted no time

“You have what I requested?” 

Gamora reached into the bag on her hip, producing a smaller, wrapped package, only to hold it away, almost behind her back, silently holding out her other hand. 

Corvus growled quietly under his breath but produce 20 Universal tokens, one of the most common forms of currency used across the Galaxy, other than digital Credits one could exchange through electronic means, for Gamora and her ‘Siblings’ and other subordinates of Thanos, these were stored and exchanged through their Communication bands.

Gamora counted the tokens, and looked at Corvus 

“Thirty.” she stated 

Corvus growled out loud this time 

“I agreed to twenty, this was more than generous!” 

Gamoras’ expression remained stoic

“There were complications. Thirty”

Corvus reluctantly dropped ten more tokens into Gamoras’ palm

“Little extortionist” 

Gamora closed her palm and tucked away her earnings before handing over the wrapped package to Corvus 

“Pleasure doing business with you. Ask someone else next time; more trouble than it was worth.” she retorted. 

Thanos called for his ‘Daughter’ and Gamora glanced over her shoulder before going to return to him, with Corvus turning to leave not a second later.

 

Corvus passed by his brother, Cull Obsidian, on the next floor up, and stopped him with a question

“Have you seen Proxima? Is she in the training rooms?” 

Cull replied in his thick, gravely voice, in the typical language of his kind

“We trained together a short time ago, she said she was returning to your room”

Corvus nodded once 

“Thank you brother” 

Just as Cull had said, Corvus entered his rooms to find Proxima already there

“Thanos and Gamora have returned” 

Proxima, standing at the counter in the small kitchenette area of their room, looked up

“I saw their ship approaching. I don’t know why he took her along on a simple food supplies negotiation, Gamora must have been bored out of her skull” 

Not being in Thanos’ presence, she didn’t try nearly so hard to hide the hint of a smirk that crossed her features, but seeing Corvus holding something, her brow creased slightly 

“What do you have there?”

In response, Corvus approached the kitchenette and smiled as he placed the package on the surface of the two person table  

“A gift” 

The way Proximas’ expression brightened suprise, and barely contained curiosity made Corvus’ chest rise with pride; how he adored that look in her eye, but perhaps even more so, he loved knowing he, and only he, was the one responsible for it.

Proxima reached for the package, fingers barely touching the paper encasing whatever was beneath, and met her husbands’ gaze briefly.

The look on his face assured her she would not be disappointed. Not that she ever had been when it came to her husbands’ gifts, while they were few and far between, since they had no need for countless meaningless trinkets or random items bought on a whim, only to be packed away and tucked out of sight. 

Which only made it all the more significant when such an occurrence did happen. 

And, as Proxima peeled away the layers of paper, her fingers smoothing out the edges to expose its contents.

Fruit, spherical, with a thick skin covered in tiny spines meant to protect it from hungry animals and insects but otherwise  harmless.

Her fingers touched the tiny spines covering the thick skin of the fruit, and Proxima felt the air falter in her lungs, and she felt almost frozen for a moment

Sangue; Blood fruit…” 

Her words were barely a whisper past black lips.

“Corvus,  wh-how did you get these?”

He took a step or two closer to her, having simply stayed silent, enjoying her reaction to his gift until now

“I heard of a Rhynarian who ‘acquires’ such delicacies and sells them, on the black markets and the like." He explained

"I made arrangements for a ‘special order’ Gamora was, hmph, ‘kind enough’ to collect them for me since she was, conveniently, attending a certain food supplies negotiation; negotiations that would be held with a certain supplier with access to some of the galaxy's rarest foods…”

A wry smile crept to his face 

“...including Rhynarian Blood Fruit”

Proximas’ eyes widened slightly 

“A few weeks ago" she whispered

"While we were eating, you asked if I missed any kind of foods from my home. I told you about the Blood Fruits, how they were my favorites…” 

Corvus, still smiling, took another two steps and now stood just an inch or so before her, his hand found hers

“Your family could only afford them once a year; usually, close to the end of the season so they were normally sweeter than you prefer yet you still loved them, looked forward to them each year. These…”

His eyes darted to the fruit on the table and he carefully picked up one of the fruits, putting it into Proximas’ hands

“...Are just two weeks into the season, so they should be just as you like them, I hope anyway.” 

As she cast her eyes to the table, Proxima opened her mouth, but words failed her.

After pursing her lips tightly, she embraced her husband tightly, forcing the pinpricks of tears in the corners of her eyes away before they could be noticed, bringing her mouth to his in a passionate, heated kiss of gratitude that, truthfully, left Corvus as breathless as Proxima had been upon discovering what he’d gifted her with.

Proxima pulled back

“You…arranged all of this…to bring me these, because I told you all of that…”  she breathed a soft laugh, her words barely a whisper

Corvus raised a hand, intending to  tuck a strand his wifes’ navy hair behind her ear, only to change his mind and leaving it place as he regarded her face

“I would raze entire galaxies to ashes in your name, My love. Deliver every planet in existence to your feet for you to do with as you please, should you ask it of me. This…was hardly something out of my reach, to make you happy, My Midnight Star” 

Again Proxima pursed her lips, deftly avoiding his gaze for a moment

“You’ve no idea how relieved I am that my species is incapable of blushing” 

She mumbled these words quickly, half hoping Corvus wouldn’t catch it; she was not so lucky however and Corvus chuckled loudly 

“That would be rather a sight I must admit” 

He went to tuck the strand of hair behind her ear, the attempt was, admittedly, half-hearted because as he expected, Proxima grasped his wrist, though not nearly as hard or as tightly as he expected, and the way her eyes met his was full of mirth rather than genuine irritation 

“I shall grant you that only because I love you, more so in this moment than I think I ever have, and believe me that is saying something” she said in a low tone.

With her head tilted to one side slightly, she closed her eyes, smiling when Corvus kissed her temple and pressed his forehead to hers; one of their own particular ways of showing affection, rather like a kiss or an embrace, but all the more intimate.

Proxima opened her eyes, looking down at the table, she pulled away from her husband once more, just enough to move to pick up one of the blood fruits.

 With a startling amount of care, slowly picked it up with one hand, one fruit took up the entire palm of her hand, and was large enough that there was no way she could have her fingers meet.

Corvus took a step back as Proxima brought her other hand to cup the blood fruit, bringing her nose to it, she inhaled the sharp scent she’d long forgotten, and memories of a life kept in the far recesses of her mind were hurtled to the forefront of her thoughts.

After taking a moment, Proxima met her husbands gaze, beaming

“Share one with me?” she asked with uncharacteristic enthusiasm 

Corvus, still smiling, took in the excitement in her tone and body language 

“I’d be honoured My midnight” 

Immediately, Proxima picked up the rest of the un-peeled fruits, keeping them wrapped in the paper packaging and taking them to the kitchenette, setting them on the counter. 

Corvus simply watched as she set about washing, peeling and cutting one of the Blood Fruits, first in half, then into quarters, setting the other half to one side, clearly intending on making them last as long as she possibly could. Despite her eagerness, she was careful, almost ritualistic in her actions; obviously she was forcing herself to take enjoyment in each, otherwise mundane, task.  

Corvus sat down on the end of their bed, and once she was done, Proxima sat, close beside him with a small dish contained the Blood fruit, which had been cut into small bite sized pieces, setting the dish between them. Proxima, of course, went first, popping one of the pieces into her mouth.

Corvus found himself unable to look away; watching the pure contentment in her body language, even closing her eyes as she savored the taste and texture before swallowing, her shoulders slumped as she released a deep, satisfied exhale accompanied by a rare, soft smile. In his wifes' own words, Corvus found himself loving her even more so in that simple, domestic moment than he had in their previous countless impassioned and intimate exchanges.

And that was saying something.

Proximas' smile widened when Corvus plucked a piece for himself between the claws of his index and middle finger and brought it to his mouth, finding the taste was sour, despite the fruit being perfectly in season, the texture firm but soft.

After waiting for him to finish, Proxima couldn't  help herself

“You like it?”

Corvus nodded with a quiet sound of enjoyment 

“I can see why you enjoy them; though their rarity most likely adds to it” 

Proxima chuckled, and swiped her thumb over the corner of his mouth to catch a drop of juice clinging there

“I think you're right. They’re rather messy though” she quipped, sucking the remaining juice from her thumb. which, along with her index finger, was stained with the fruits thick, dark red juices which gave them their name.

Her deep, amber eyes met his to find her husband gazing at her

“Remind me what they are called” he requested

She knew what he really wanted, and she mirrored his expression, rolling the name over tongue on purpose 

Sangue; Blood Fruit, named because of the juices inside.” 

Of course he knew that, he hadn't forgotten, he just wanted to hear her say it and both of them were fully aware of it.

Corvus growled, perhaps louder than he’d meant to, but his hands found her waist as he lent over to bring his face to her neck, inhaling her scent which intermingled with the sharp tangy scent of the Blood fruit.

Proxima chuckled, wrapping her arms around his shoulders, lightly scraping her bitten nails to the back of his head, filled with an overwhelming gratitude and adoration for her partner which, for now, she could only hope to perhaps repay with the indulgence of their bodies. Proxima found herself smiling as he kissed her lips; it was a snake-like strike of a kiss that was ended before she could respond, Corvus then kissed the corner of her mouth to catch the taste of the Blood Fruit on her lips and skin. 

Pulling back slightly, Proxima took a piece of the fruit from the dish and, with a sly smile, looked up and offered it to him; Corvus rumbled in amusement, taking her wrist gently as he ate what was offered, sucking the fruits’ juices from her fingers. Taking a piece of Blood Fruit from the dish he reciprocated by offering it to her, keeping their gazes locked for a moment, Proxima slowly ate the fruit from between his fingers, sucking for a split second to clean his digits of the juices.

Proxima took another piece for herself, chewing discreetly as she suddenly found herself deep in thought, while watching her husbands expression as he tasted the fruit from her home world.

Not only had he acquired it off-world, a feat within itself given the laws on Rhaenys 5 concerning off world trading, but Corvus had taken the time to enjoy something that had once meant a great deal to her; especially when she knew he was almost strictly carnivorous when he could help it, having never been partial to fruits or vegetables, but he had put that aside and try it, for her.

Chapter 80: *AVOIDANCE

Summary:

Both Proxima and Corvus know something has, and is, shifting between them, but both are unwilling to admit it, let alone address it.

Chapter Text

Proxima ducked to avoid the punch thrown her way, landing with both feet planted firmly on the floor, and one hand steadying her as she swiped her legs through his, to knock him down, only for him to correct his landing by balancing  in a low crouch. 

 Lunging, she managed to throw him to the ground, pinning him down, Corvus managed to get his feet between them and throw her over his head, she landed on her feet, but only  just, and stumbled badly, slamming back into a stone pillar, the pain erupting in her spine and the back of her head left her dazed.

She'd been bested and there was nothing she could do

“Yield” she announced.

Thanos stood, further signifying the end of the round 

"Corvus you have come out triumphant this time. Proxima you've adapted your foot work well but you need to rely less on luck to land your blows. Your strikes are too wide, too obvious and   I expect better next time." 

He signalled for them to leave and for the next pair to take their places 

"Gamora, Nebula, let's see how the pair of you have improved since last time. Nebula you should have had more than enough time to adapt to your new enhancement by now.* 

After some prodding she was relieved to find the cut on her forehead was more superficial than first thought, and no further treatment or care would be needed, but pain was beginning to radiate through her side, even just changing her clothing was causing her agony.

It was about an hour later that Corvus stopped by her room, having the passcode to her room he typed it in and went inside, calling her name to announce his prescance, but a cry of pain immediately drew him to the washroom, where he found Proxima, clutching a tube of healing gel, but partially hunched over in pain

“Proxima, what!?”

Corvus was by her side immediately, taking the tube from her, but Proxima tried to wave him away

“I’m fine, it’s fine”

Corvus frowned 

“Clearly it isn’t! I didn;t intend-” 

Again, Proxima tried to brush him off

“It’s just a bad bruise, the healing gel will help.”

Still Corvus was, honestly, concerned for her health, but his protest, along with his train of thought, was cut off because her hand darted between his legs, reminding him exactly why he was there. 

Seeing he was distracted, Proxima Applied more pressure, backing  him against the wall while squeezing and rubbing him through his clothing, her face just centimetres from his as she watched his eyes clenched shut, and  his breathing quickened, and a smirk crept to her black lips

“Yes?” she breathed, seeking his confirmation

His claws contracted against the wall behind him, any coherent thought remained unavailable since he was focused on the touch of Proximas’ hand on his growing erection, the scent of her washing over his senses

“Yes” came his single rattled reply.

His hands moved to glide up along  her sides, but Proxima made a sharp, pained sound, moving away on instinct.

Corvus’ eyes widened in alarm, his hands releasing her immediately

“Proxima, that’s enough. You could have a broken rib, you need to visit the medical bay” 

She tried to protest, but Corvus bent both his knees, but Proxima stepped away, sending another wave of blinding hot pain through her, knocking the wind from her and making her curse him out in Rhynarian once air returned to her lungs

“What are you doing?!” she demanded

Corvus retorted 

“Medical is several floors down, if you attempt to walk, it will take hours and you need treatment now.” 

Proxima was about to argue when he interrupted 

“I can call the Maw for assistance” 

Proximas’ murderous glare bore into him, but the fact that she was practically incapacitated in his arms took the edge away and simply made Corvus smirk, only adding to her annoyance at the suggestion that she appeal to their Sibling for help; his telekinetic abilities would mean that walking to the medical unit would not be required.

She blatantly refused 

“Just you seeing me like this is  more than enough. Just…be quick about it” she grumbled.

Thus,  Corvus stooped and lifted her, bridal style, into his arms, and was allowed to carry her to the medical bay.

It turned out that Corvus was not only correct, but Proxima in fact had two broken ribs and a pulled muscle in chest cavity.

She sat, semi-upright in the bed of the medical bay with her chest and upper torso heavily wrapped in bandages, and a drip pumping strong pain-relief into her body, not only doing its’ intended purpose but also making her  tired and lethargic 

“If you so much as hint at anything resembling the phrase ‘I told you so…”

Corvus held up a hand in surrender 

“I wouldn’t dream of it.”

Proxima gave soft chuckle that suggested that she knew otherwise, she then closed her eyes as she she turned her head to face away from him, head resting against the scratchy, sterile pillow under her head

Corvus’ sharp eyes scanned the cut on her left cheek, and the bruise on her forehead

“I apologise.” the words left his mouth before he could think.

Proximas’ eyes snapped open and she turned back to him

“What are you talking about?” 

Corvus shifted 

“I did not intend for this…” 

Proxima fixed him with depp, defensive stare, her body practically leaning away from him despite the distance between them given her current position 

“We do not apologise for what happens in the training rooms.” she snapped, wary of where this was going. It couldn’t be, it mustn’t…

Corvus sighed

“I know.  I just…”

Unconsciously, his claws barely touch along the bandages wrapped around her chest to her upper torso  the memory of what had happened just hours ago replayed in his mind

He never wanted her to feel like he was hovering, or that he doubted her capabilities, but he hated seeing her hurt, however rare it was or how  competent she was, the law of averages meant that, due to their lifestyle, it was bound to happen on occasion. That did not mean he was anymore able to ignore it.

"Glaive? 

Her voice cut through his inner thoughts and Covus lifted his gaze to hers

“hm?”

She still tense, still wary 

“Why are you still here? Surly you have better things to occupy you time; despite me lying on a bed a roll in the sheets is not exactly an option at the moment”

Corvus scoffed

“A bed is not always a necessity; have we not desecrated whatever available, semi-private space aboard this ship??”

Proxima couldn’t help with slight amused curl of her lip, but corvus cleared his throat, taking a step closer to her medical bed

“Besides,  I wanted to ensure you received the adequate treatment for your injuries and that you did not attempt to leave; reckless and strong -willed as you are.”

She’d been called such things before of course, but why did these words, coming from Corvus, sound so…complimentary? 

By now he was standing closer, close enough beside her that she could feel the heat of his body pushing against her cool skin, though not unpleasantly. Pushing away the strange feeling in her gut, putting it down to adverse effects of the pain-killers being pumped through her body, looking down at the clean white sheet covering her middle and lower portion of her body

“I suppose your company is not entirely unwelcome"

Corvus chuckled once, the hand which had ghosted to her side, returned to his own

“High praise indeed”

Proxima didn’t look up 

'I'm hardly in a condition to force you out myself. You overestimate me 

Corvus moved so that he lent slightly against the bed, standing level with the top of her leg

“That is quite impossible I’m afraid.”

His words take a moment to sink in, due to her already beginning to doze, but again her eyes opened 

“Corvus…what’s changed” she questioned

Her companion frowned 

“What do you mean?

Proxima hesitated, not wanting to be the one to approach the subject which had been deftly avoided by the pair of them for a long time

“Between us. At  first you seemed indifferent to my being here, as part of the Order, irritated at best. Then we were able to work together as one of the most effective members of the Order. Then we started passing the time between missions screwing each other senseless, but still, other than that nothing was different. Now…you’re assisting me to the med bay, apologising for the injuries dealt in the training rooms like you regret it.”

Corvus chose his next words carefully 

“What if…I did, regret it I mean?”

Proximas’ eyes narrowed

“Why would you? You bested me, Thanos praised you…”

Corvus swallowed, feeling the tension growing, straining between them

“Causing you harm, besting you in battle, Proxima…brings me no feeling of triumph.”

Proxima seemed to pause to comprehends his words, but drowsiness overtook only to slump slightly 

“The pain relief is making my head spin” 

Corvus wondered if this was the case or if she was dodging the conversation, though she did look pale, and tired, so he did not press the issue

“You should sleep then, you'll heal faster” 

Her advanced healing would mean she would be here a significantly shorter amount of time than most, but rest was still the best thing when one was injured.

“I’ll leave you; we will talk when you’re well.”

Proxima barely had time to turn to watch him leave, and Corvus was at the door, tattered hem of his cloak brushing his ankles as he exited the room, disappearing from sight.

Looking up at the ceiling, ignoring the glare of the bright lights of the med-bay, eyes widening slightly as she exhaled, her thoughts a muddled whirl of questions invoked by the unfamiliar emotions and sensations she found herself feeling. 

Most of all, she felt an empty ache in her chest with Corvus now gone from her side and sight.

Meanwhile, unknown to her, Corvus was in a similar state of uncertainty and secret  emotional turmoil, and headed straight to the only person he trusted enough to bring these concerns to - his younger brother, Cull Obsidian.

All the while he traversed the halls of The Sanctuary in the direction of his brothers chambers, Corvus fought the instinct compelling him to whirl around and return to the Medical Until, ignoring the distastful, almost painful ache in his chest in the absence of Proxima Midnights’ presence, which he had noticed happened more and more as of late, though he was less than eager to admit it.

Chapter 81: CONSTERNATION

Summary:

It's a rare thing for Proxima to be anxious, thankfully, Corvus understands that these are particular circumstances.

Chapter Text

Proxima Midnight had barely slept in close to a week now; her way of maintaining some control in times where she felt entirely powerless and this, along with lack of sleep and personal feeling towards their current situation left her on edge and reactive; as the rest of those who inhabited the the Sanctuary 2 quickly discovered.

Within three days, after the loss of two Chitauri soldiers, a handful of caretakers to the ships’ small holding of livestock, and even an overly emboldened Outrider had been victims of the wrath of the Black Orders’ fiercest fighter.

By the end of the week, even the rest of the Order, as well as Thanos’ daughter were avoiding her wherever possible. But only after Proxima had beaten Nebula in combat, threatened to make Cull Obsidian swallow his chain handled hammer, and, against Thanos rules regarding fighting outside of training, had engaged in a fierce scrap with Gamora when the latter had taken Proxima a little too off guard.

She had been able to take the Ebony Maw enough by surprise that the telekinetic moved too slowly to stop the female from striking his cheek in reaction to his views on ‘not letting personal history or feelings interfere with their orders’ Proxima had intentionally kept her short, jagged nails exposed so that the force of the hit against the Maws’ papery skin left four bloody lines across his cheek; resulting in Proxima promptly being  flung half-way across the room and into a wall.

 

Corvus Glaive, the only one aboard the Sanctuary 2, other than Thanos, was so far be immune to Proximas’ ire, and approached his wife after entiering their bedroom to find her standing, tense and fidgety by the window. 

“You’ve not been slept more than a couple of hours at a time in the last three days” he stated.

Of course she could not refute this - since Corvus never slept, not having the need to, it was impossible for him not to know that she was not sleeping

“Thanos' patience will not last Proxima" he warned

"Is it because…”

He didn’t finish his question, but Proxima said nothing, simply bringing a fist to her mouth, gnawing the side of her thumbnail; Corvus nodded once in silent understanding.

Upon reaching her, he tucked  strands of hair behind her horn so that her face, which was turned away from him, was unobscured 

“Nothing will happen, it will not be like last time.” 

He slowly, carefully so as not to startle or aggravate his wifes’ already unpredictable state, put a hand to her back, stroking up and down.

“I swore I would never go back…” Proxima whispered sharply.

Corvus kissed her temple while sliding his arms around her, bringing her close so that her back was pressed to his chest. She remained stiff for a moment, until she allowed herself to relax; she was safe in the arms of the one person in the universe she would allow to see her vulnerable, the only person who knew the reason behind her restless, irate manner as of late. 

The Sanctuary was currently en-route for Sakkar; the Grandmaster had requested Thanos’ service, in that the planets population was becoming harder to control, thus a ‘cleansing’ was needed, in return for this and the ensuring of his safety, the Grandmaster would offer the services of his finest fighters and warriors at the whim of the Great Titan. 

It would not be the first time Thanos had done business with the Grandmaster; in the past he had scoured the fighting pits for potential members for his Black Order, that was how he had come across Proxima Midnight several years ago.

And now, in just a few hours they would reach Sakkar and she would be expected to join her Father and Siblings in the slaughter of half of its population; excluding the Grandmaster himself of course.

Despite the time that had passed since then, the memories of her past were still unpleasant, and their imminent arrival had put Proxima on edge.

She took his free hand, bringing it to her chest, holding tightly 

“Will you do something for me?” she whispered, resentful of her own perceived weakness in her need for comfort, even from her beloved.

Corvus lent his temple to hers

“My Midnight, You can ask anything of me and I will make it happen, I am yours, in every sense of the word; yours to command.” 

Again his lips met her temple, and Proxima turned in his arms

“You must promise me that I will not be stuck there again…”

Corvus lifted a hand to stroked her cheek, his thumb followed the edge of a bruise-like marking under her eye, he hadn’t noticed it before, due to the dark, mask-like markings that spread across her face, but the evidence of her lack of sleep was evident at such close proximity. She bit her lip hard, closing her eyes in shame at her plea, and her obvious, uncharacteristic  fear. 

“I could not do it again, Corvus. My abilities, significantly more refined than they were back then, used as nothing but entertainment ?” 

She glowered in disgust at the idea for a moment before her expression smoothed, and her tone became a whisper

“Never seeing the outside again, being separated from you…”

Corvus cupped her cheek, easing his hand up until his finger tip brushed the expanse of softer skin at the base of her horn, she released her lower lip as Corvus felt her breath on his skin as a shuddering sigh passed her lips

“My love, I  have always sworn never to go where you would not, or could not follow” He told her.

Proximas’ hands hooked themselves into the folds of his cloak

“Even if Thanos ordered it? If the Grandmaster insisted on trading me back?” 

That was what they were after all; tools for the Great Titan to wield, to be commanded and used however he saw fit in order to obtain his goal; no more and no less collateral damage than the wretches he had the Order slaughter during purges.

Corvus growled under his breath, and an expression Proxima couldn’t place passed behind his eyes, disappearing before she could blink.

“I’d fall on my own glaive before leaving you behind; he can attempt to pry you from my cold dead arms, the Grandmaster will not have you back. If the master orders it, then he will have to trade me along-side you” 

Proximas’ mouth curled into the ghost of a smile, comforted and reassured whether by his words or touch, or a combination of both,  relaxed further still, practically falling against him in relief, their faces just an inch or so apart, foreheads pressed together. Proximas’ hand slid up the nape of his neck to bring his mouth firmly to hers.

 The kiss itself tasted of need and desperation, but along with that, there was an air of appreciation, acknowledgement of what he was giving her; with his words of promise and devoted submission to her actions as he allowed her to take control, where normally there would be more of a fight for domination, for now Corvus would surrender it, offering it freely, because, here and now, that was what she needed. 

Sometime later the couple laid together, entirely bare beneath the thing bed covers; Corvus had, albeit without much conviction, had tried to encourage her to rest, but she had insisted he take her, make love to her, first. Ever eager to please her, with a certain amount of selfish need and desire, gave her this request; sealing the promise he’d made to her with his body; though he would gladly give her that and more any day at her request.

Proxima, already weary from her sleepless nights, had fallen asleep soon after they were both done, and Corvus remained by her side as she slept; night terrors would remain a more likely occurrence for her until the trip to Sakkarr was over and done with.

After just a couple of hours Proxima stirred, putting corvus on alert instantly, but to his mild surprise, she rolled over to face him, opening her eyes

“Did you mean it?” she asked, her voice slightly slurred from sleep

“That Thanos would have to trade you alongside me if the Grandmaster demanded me back?” 

Corvus, wrapping his arms around her as she settled against his chest, replied 

“Without a second thought”

Proxima smiled, thinking to herself in silence for a few moments, feeling Corvus hands stroking her bare shoulder, or thread through her hair and she chuckled

Corvus met her gaze

“Something amusing, my love?”

She traced a hand over Corvus jutting collarbone

“I still remember the first time I saw you down in the cells where the fighting slaves were kept” 

Corvus’ chest rumbled thoughtfully as he took her hand, kissing the back of it

“You’d just won the title of the Grand-Masters Champion” he mused

Proxima smiled, back then she’d never imagined the title that had once been so coveted, was in fact entirely meaningless in her eyes given what she's accomplished.

Her fingers went on tracing their way up his neck, to his jaw, then his cheek

“Battle suit, gauntlets and tattered clock, even back then" she chuckled

"Features that could have Death itself freeze in hesitation…”

She shifted intentionally against him, hooking her leg over his hip, her expression flashed between hunger and desire, which didn’t go unnoticed by Corvus, who pulled her closer, kissing her deeply but briefly; Proxima gasped as she was suddenly collected into her husband's arms, only to be rolled over so that she was straddling him.

Corvus gazed up at her, stern but loving, his hands firmly massaging into her waist

"you’ve changed a great deal since then”

It was Proximas’ turn to laugh then, and her pensive gaze broke from her husbands to watch as her own hand trailed patterns on his heated flesh

“I have to admit I do agree; my hair was so much shorter then, my weapon was nothing more than a large three tinned wooden...fork, for lack of a better word, ironic, is it not?” 

Corvus' brow furrowed slightly

“That was not all that I meant; you’re not some fighting slave to be traded like livestock. You’re a warrior, a General of the Black Order who commands legions of Chitauri and Outriders in the name of the Great Titan. You’ve claimed countless tributes and slain thousands in his name, highhandedly and I’m honored to fight beside you in battle, let alone have you as my wife.” 

If she was able, Proxima felt she would have blushed. As though her husbands’ words had seeped into her body, she felt her confidence, her tenacity, everything she had learned to be since those awful years on Sakkarr.

Corvus took her hand, resting his palm to hers, splaying their fingers apart under his gaze, feeling Proxima shiver as his other hand crept up her spine

"If Thanos were to trade us for the Grandmasters' support, you and I would rip the title of Champion for ourselves in an instant." 

Proximas' eyes glinted with a rare, playful mischief

"Not only that, all of Sakkarr itself. the Grandmasters' forces would become ours, ours to offer to Thanos in service to his cause " she added, another shudder twisted down her body as Corvus' hand rested on her back.

Corvus grinned

"A cunning plan, wife. My strategic mind has had a terrible influence on you" he teased, their hands still playing against each other, palms flat, fingers parted but resting against each other

"Am I safe to assume the others are safe from your wrath, my love?" 

Proxima pretend to consider it

"Only so long as you're here to calm me, husband" she purred

 His other hand pushed into her back, pressing her body firmly to his 

"A task I'm more than happy to comply to, Midnight"

Proxima thread her fingers between his before she lent down, pinning their entwined hands above his head, reuniting their mouths insistently, feeling his hand tighten around  hers.

Chapter 82: ADVICE

Summary:

Corvus goes to his brother, Cull, for some advice on a problem he's been having

Notes:

Not my best work in hindsight, and definitely lacks my usual Proxivus content, but I wanted to explore this fun little idea I got.

In the comic books, it is said that Black Dwarf gave Corvus advice when his brother fell in love with Proxima, but in my version, Cull is NOT in love with Proxima.

Chapter Text

 Corvus has not known loneliness. Not because he has never been alone;  before Thanos, before he’d come across his infant half-brother by chance on their home planet he’d travelled the main villages with only himself as company, following his own path, with his own decisions and thoughts to guide him and he had been perfectly fine with that. He simply has never known the feeling of being dissatisfied with his own company. 

 It isn’t the lack of tasks in need of completion in Thanos’ absence, since he has taken Gamora to The Garden, it isn’t because he even is alone in the literal sense since Cull is around somewhere, training most likely, and  the Maw lurks in the upper chambers in the labs of the Ship, and Nebula sulks like a child in her rooms after her latest modification, Corvus feels at a loose end.

The quarters of Cull Obsidian  were larger to accommodate his bulky stature, like most other private chambers, it was equipped with an adjoining washroom and kitchen area. 

A large, weighted punching bag hung, suspended from the ceiling by a thick chain, strong enough to take multiple hits even from the the strongest and largest member of the Black Order. This was a stark contrast to the shelves of books lining the walls opposite the bed, which was also built in proportion to Obsidians heavy frame; while Corvus tended to collect the occasional skull of a particularly worthy advisory, Cull collected books, scrolls and scriptures from the  various planets he and his brother had come across in their time serving Thanos.

Most Kreiger never learnt to speak any other language, since Kreigarian was taught to Huntas’ alongside the  universal language from a young age, however Cull could, in fact, understand a great many different languages, he just never had the desire to learn to speak them, especially not with the fluency with which Corvus could.

Alongside his hulking size and strength, Cull was also rather silent nature, and when he did speak it was in the language of his own people - the Kreiger, a secondary race on Vernalia, the home planet of him and his brother Corvus, who was of the Hunta race. 

Kreigarian was spoken in thick growls and rumbles, Obsidian was often seen, by outsiders, as the most brutish member of Thanos Black Order, often often confused with being feral, mindless, and frankly dim , yet this could not be further from the truth, he could in fact be surprisingly insightful; having spent much of their time before Thanos with only each other as their only  companion, meant that Corvus, even though he was the eldest sibling, often turned to Cull for advice and council when needed.

 Corvus had been pacing about the room for what felt like hours, an unconscious, habitual trait he’d never been able to shake when his thoughts seemed to spur him into movement, as though action, however repetitive, might help him reach his conclusion. 

Corvus turned, mid pace,  tattered cloak fluttering at his heels

“Brother, are you listening?”

Cull, seating in a deep armchair placed with the back against the foot of the bed, jolted awake, book falling to the floor

“I apologise, the conversation was not only beginning to circle but also becoming more and more one sided as you became more vehement in your descriptions” 

Corvus growled slightly 

“Those were complaints not descriptions!”

Cull rolled his eyes, not trying to hide the fact that he was not convinced, and with some reluctance

“Not only that but it’s been…Fraggs’ sake, 7 hours?!” he claimed 

He reached down to collect his rescue his book from the floor

“I know you don’t sleep but the est of us require it…” he grumbled

With a sigh, he put aside his book and leant  his elbows on his knees, large hands hung loosely between his knees and giving his brother his full attention once more

“Very well… what exactly is it you want me to say?”

Exasperated, Corvus stepped closer to where his brother sat

“Explain to me these feelings I have for the one whom I have been speaking about for the past two minutes! How I can prevent them, cease them all together if need be…”

Cull frowned slightly 

“Haven't you been sleeping together for the past year and half, and at practically any opportunity? Maybe that is all this is, pent up tensions in her absence.”

Of course this was undeniable; for over a year they had been nothing more than bed-mates; a mutual distraction they sought out for respite taken in a frenzy of tongues and teeth with the lingering smell of sweat and sex clinging to the air of whatever space they’d chosen as the battle-ground that would play host to their needs and desires.

Thus it made sense that, with his only regular partner in these activities unavailable, Corvus missed the bend of her body against his, the slide of skin-on-skin; he craved the sharp whispers and curses in her native language of Rhynarian that she let slip from her lips against his chest as they clawed for that final euphoric high as they came.

Corvus avoids his brothers gaze, and Cull hides the smirk that tries to make itself known, to him at least,  it’s crystal clear what his brothers predicament is; Proxima MIdnight had taken a short detour on her way back from a solo  tribute collection, meaning she would be away for a week longer than originally planned, and this is the source of Corvus’…unease.

Corvus spoke after a moment 

 “It’s…a convenient; way of passing the time between missions. Besides…” 

It was unlike him to hesitate yet he did before continuing 

“...Well, you're aware of Rhynarian biology, correct?”

Shaking his head, Cull waved a hand; definitely not needing the details; Like Corvus, he was very well versed in general information concerning various races and subraces from across the galaxy, including the Cycle experienced by female Rhynarians in the final three days of each month, so Obsidian was indeed, well aware of what his brother was inferring

“Fine, fine. Then why does thinking about her make you so irate?”

Corvus’ eyes widen slightly 

 ”Haven't you been listening to a word I’ve spoken? Because she’s entirely the opposite from myself; she’s brash, abrasive, and far too reckless for her own good!”

Meanwhile Corvus  turns his head to stare off out of the window

“So much time confined to the cells of Sakarr, she knows far less of the universe than you or I. Her curiosity borders on childish…”

What was meant as a criticism, sounded rather like a compliment to Culls’ ears, and the small, knowing look in his odd, stoney features went unobserved by Corvus, who, suddenly too lost in his own thoughts to realise he was still speaking out loud, went on

“Yet Her perceptiveness means she picks up on the smallest things to an infuriating degree of accuracy…”

Seeing Corvus’ expression change, even soften, as he no doubt, thought of the only Daughter of Thanos, Cull decides it’s time for Corvus to know

“Corvus, my brother, I do believe you might be in love”

The elder of the two huffed, so absurd was the idea to him,  and emitted a harsh cackle of laughter

“Don’t be ridiculous, what an ide…”

And just like that, with the suddenness of a snap of two fingers, he freezes up, a deathly chill rolls down his spine, he is reminded of Proximas’ cool touch trailing along his body. 

Corvus then recalls a recent memory to his minds’ eye; not long ago he had stirred from an uncharacteristically deep rest; the closest thing his body would allow to actual sleep, but he realised, apparently at the same time that Proxima had woken, that she had slept the entirety of the ships’ rest hours, in his bed. 

They’d done so  several times since, and with Proxima gone for now, Corvus came to the slowly dawning self-awareness that he was missing it; the feel of her cool body beside him in the bed, in either his chambers or her own, he missed the ache in his chest he felt when was graced with the sight of Proxima Midnight asleep at his side.

“Oh…”

His skin paled as quickly as the realisation sunk in, mind, body and soul (what was left of it)

"No, no, this can't-but how ?!"

He is missing her. Not just the touch of her body, but the sound of her voice, her scent, watching her during training or catching her eye on the battlefield…

Cull shrugged his heavy shoulders

“Love can strike any one of us, brother; even we, as Children of Thanos, are not immune apparently. Why are you so distressed, was it not obvious to you?”

As though he hadn’t heard him, Corvus’ chest rose and fell more rapidly, and, had Cull known his sibling far better, he appeared on the verge hyperventilating 

“Brother, breath! Is the notion so terrible to you?”

Corvus replied hastily 

“There has to be another….” 

He cuts off his own protest 

“No” he muttered

“I fear you are  quite correct, Cull. I see that now. I’ve been blind to my own feelings…” he chuckled once

“Perhaps, given the past two years, it was inevitable…” he decided.

Cull nodded  once in agreement

“I’d say so. What will you do?”

Corvus swallowed, as though also becoming aware of just how strongly he truly felt now that he had fully accepted exactly what his feelings were

“I can do nothing;  she is unlikely to feel the same. This was entirely unplanned…”

Culls’ entire body shook, his gravely laughter filled the room, to Corvus confusion and, quite frankly, his irritation.

Corvus’ brow rose

“Am I so amusing to you, brother” 

Cull waved a large hand, regaining his composure

“You even speak of love as an act of tactical warfare, and that admitting it is some form of disadvantage” he pointed out.

Corvus shook his head, finally casting his gaze back to his only blood sibling

“It’s too dangerous. Thanos would not allow-”

Corvus’ expression became pained as he imagined what punishments’ Proxima, and himself may be subjected to if Thanos found out. 

Embracing the need for physical release might be excused, falling in love was…another matter.

Cull frowned at his brother expression 

“Breath, Corvus. She doesn’t even know anything yet”

Corvus felt his heart start beating again, and his breath, which had been caught in his throat, freed itself and his breathing returned to normal

“I…apologise…” he grumbled before falling silent.

His brother was his most trusted ally, he had no need to fear judgement in his…weaker moments, loathed as Corvus was to admit it.

Cull nodded once at his sibling; despite Corvus’ brilliant strategic mind being his greatest asset and even, most likely, the reason they had survived even before Thanos, and was a large part of what enabled corvus to become one of Thanos’ most favoured General, his subconscious need to plan, analyse and prepare for each and every outcome of any given situation, particular unfamiliar ones such as his deepening affection for Proxima MIdnight.

Cull went on

“The first thing you might want to consider is if your feelings a deep enough that she is worth the risks that come from telling her”

Corvus growled under his breath and began pacing once more, even deeper in thought than before.

  Cull sighed in defeat and, knowing there would be more silent pacing, interspersed with agitated muttering, rhetorical questions, and self directed statements, returned his attention to his abandoned book, simply declaring 

“You will not know that for certain unless you ask.” 

In the midst of Corvus’ other thoughts, throughout it all, it was his brothers words that  stuck in Corvus’ head like liquid adhesive…and before long he began seriously considering them.

 

Chapter 83: FEALTY

Summary:

Proxima and Corvus will never let anyone, even the master they serve so loyaly, tear them apart.

Notes:

I've referenced Proxima and Corvus having to 'prove themselves; to Thanos several times in other chapters/works so I thought I'd finally make a full chapter focusing on that.

I changed the lay out of this chapter kind of last so I hope it still works and mistakes are minimal lol

Chapter Text

Proxima rolls so that she lands strategically close to her spear, feigning vulnerability she turns, resting on her elbows as Corvus lunges, diving for another attack. Her hand closes around the handle of her weapon and she swings it around with a cry that is cut off by the horrible shriek Corvus emits as he falls on the handle of her spear, she'd purposely pointed the three blue prongs downward.

But Corvus jaw is still impaled on the handle of the weapon, the glowing blue bar embedded in one side sears his flesh, his hands blindly claw for purchase for a few moments before he falls still, blood trickles down, coating Proximas’ hand, and drips down onto her face.

A memory flashes in Proximas' mind; the fighting pits of Sakkar, surrounded by the deafening roar of the crowds watching. A wooden spear in her hands. The final scream of her opponent as they  fall limp at the end of her weapon, splattering her face with blood. 

She drops her spear, staring at what she's done, she doesn't hear Thanos compliment and congratulate her, she doesn't register that he and the others have left the room until only Cull remains behind, and slowly lumbers towards his sister-by-law and his fallen brother. 

Proxima  kneels and quickly works her spear free from her husbands’ lower jaw, pale and haunted looking she shuffles back as Cull lifts Corvus and carries him from the room, Proxima stands and follows after a moment. 

They bring Corvus to his chambers and Cull places him on the bed before leaving, as if it's all routine. Proxima diligently places the glaive on the bed next to him, making sure it's close by to ease and speed up the healing process.  Proxima still hasn't uttered a word, she's dazed, feeling almost separate from the situation, a situation caused by her own hands. 

Even when she moves to the washroom, it's  like walking in  a dream. She undresses and steps under the running shower, but her legs fail  her before she adjusts the temperature and she slides down to sit beneath the freezing stream of water, she stays curled against the shower wall.

It had been...better after they had gotten married, far less frequent, but was still unpleasant. 

 

He doesn't know how long his regeneration has taken this time, but Corvus enters the washroom after hearing the shower running, when Proxima doesn’t acknowledge him, and stares blankly ahead, he's beside her in seconds, almost recoiling when he touches her shoulder - her skin is always naturally cold but under the chilly stream of water she's almost frozen. 

He reaches up and shuts off the water, eyes never leaving her face as she stares ahead, knees partially drawn to her bare chest. His fingers touch her shoulder then draws damp hair away from her face.

Finally she speaks

"Your blood is still on my hands. It won't come off" 

She blinks and tears roll to mix with  the drops of water clinging to her skin.

Silently Corvus takes her hand, turning over as though inspecting it

"I see nothing" he reassures 

His other arm slides around her shoulders, drawing her to him so that he can maneuver  her out of the shower. He rests his back against the bathroom wall and has her sit in the space between his legs as he holds her close to his chest with one hand and cradling her head with the other. Proxima presses  herself tight against him, glad for his warmth, glad to hear and feel his rapid heartbeat thudding in her ears as she rests her head on his chest.

There’s no spoken apology from her, but they both know there is no need; Corvus would only tell her so if she did, she has done nothing wrong, she has simply followed the orders of their master. Their survival, the continuation of their marriage, even the love and deeply ingrained  respect they have for each other depends upon pleasing their master and never appearing weak unless it’s in the privacy of their chambers, the safety of each-others company.

Corvus presses a kiss to her forehead before pulling back to watch her eyes close, and he silently accepts that they will be here a while.

 And he's fine with that.

Proxima spoke again after a short while

"Do you remember the first time?" she questions quietly

Corvus doesn't physically react but answers

"Yes."

It was long ago, before their marriage.

They'd both known what was coming, they knew in advance what Thanos expected of them. and they'd assumed they were prepared for it.

Proxima Midnight and Corvus Glaive stood from the kneeling positions before Thanos, who sat upon the large stone throne above them, the two Generals took three steps back before turn from Thanos, with their backs straight, expression void of any emotion, obedient soldiers at his command. 

As they walked away, the back of a single clawed finger traced the back of Proximas hand, which twitched in response but otherwise remained in place at her side, she did however give Corvus a small nod of acknowledgement while keeping her eyes ahead of her  just as Corvus did.

They took their places several feet apart to stand opposite each other, weapons at the ready.

 Thanos uttered just one word

“Begin” 

They were upon each other in a moment, punching, kicking, the ring of weapons meeting as they swung and blocked each others’ attacks. Of course they'd done this before, during training, but this was different, they had to make it look real; they couldn’t hold back, neither of them could afford the risk of seeming weak, or like they're offering the other an advantage.

After an an hour, a sheen of sweat coated Proximas' forehead, she was trembling with exertion, adrenaline and exhaustion, while Corvus remained unfazed thanks to his glaive, it wasn't fair, of course it wasn't, but it isn't meant to be.

Proxima fired a blast from her weapon, right at his feet, and as Corvus to leapt to one side, he was propelled off course by the blast, and land ed in a low crouch, steadying himself with one hand on the ground, Proxima launched herself at him, their weapons met and deflected off of one another multiple times before Corvus was able to forcibly knock her spear from her her hands, she made the mistake of turning to watch it fly through the air and land a few feet away.

Corvus lunged, and after a flurry of movement, was able to pin her against him with the handle of his glaive across her throat, applying pressure but not too much, his head was turned so that his cheek rested atop Proxima’ head as she struggled against him

“Bite me” 

It wasn't a quip, it was an order.

He opened his mouth, to obey or to protest would never be known because she rammed her shoulder between his jaws; she could feel his reluctance, he was hesitating and she couldn't have that.

In the hope of goading him, she managed to throw herself, and Corvus, backwards so that he hit the stone floor hard enough to temporarily wind him, with Proxima landing on top of him, still under the handle of his glaive, and his jaws clench down instinctively.

Her vison turned white and she threw her head back, her howl  howl of pain as his shark-like teeth tear at her skin rang through the room, punding into Corvus' head. She felt him want to pull back, so she jabbed him in the ribs, cracking one or two in the process, so that he instinctively, bit down harder,

She flipped him off of her, the damage made by his teeth is made worse by this because his teeth create deep 3 inch long gashes in her shoulder.  Proxima recalled her spear to hand, and forced herself to her feet, Corvus deflected more blows, and she did the same, but the melee was brief because she was losing blood.

Corvus tossed her away, before she could pin him beneath her, her body rolled several times.

She struggled for a moment, before collapsing, then she didn't get up.

Despite his fear for her, Corvus stayed emotionless as he looked to Thanos, but upon seeing the Maw, with his lips curled into a mocking smirk behind his master, and Corvus’ anger burned white hot in his veins.

Thanos gestured to Proxima while addressing the Maw

“Take Proxima Midnight to the medical bay”

The Maw levitated himself down the steps leading to Thanos throne, and with a wave of his hand, lifted Proximas’ bleeding body from the floor; with his injured Sibling floating unconscious behind him as he exits the Throne room.

Corvus was already on his feet watching them go, but Thanos’ deep voice regains his attention.

“Congratulations, Corvus Glaive, you’ve proven yourself well today. You’re dismissed” he stated, as though his general had simply returned, successfully from a standard mission, as though the blood dripping down Corvus chin did not belong to the one he proclaimed to love enough to take part in this ‘test’ as Thanos called it.

Corvus all but staggered  from the room, and barely made it halfway down the corridor before his stomach contracted violently, forcing him to empty the meager contents of his stomach. His advanced advanced digestion rate means there was little more than acrid bile, but seeing the watery streaks of blue made him want to vomit all over again.

 

He looked blankly to the door of his chambers after hearing the bleep of the intercom, he had expected to hear the scolding voice of Cull Obsidian, so was taken aback when Proximas voice reached his ears

“Its me”

Gingerly he stood, and went to the door and pressed the button to allows her inside. It had been over a week since their ‘test’, over a week since he;d laid eyes on her.

She was clearly agitated as she marched inside, words fire from her mouth as soon as the doors closed

"Where have you been? And don't lie to me because I know for a fact you haven't left the ship"

He could only utter one word

"Midnight..."

She continued as though she hadn’t heard

"you even turn away Cull when he tries to speak with you"

"Midnight-"

Her expression became ever more furious, an inner hurt seeps through her mask of anger and indifference

"You've changed your mind haven't you? You've decided it's not worth it, you and I, whatever it is we have, had, isn't worth-”

"Proxima!"

His louder, sharper utterance cut through and finally reaches her, making Proxima freeze in silent surprise.

Corvus looked her in the eyes, wounded by her assumptions 

“You think after everything, even now, that I would cast you aside that way? Do you think so little of me?”

Proxima shook her head, averting her gaze

‘Not you, me.’ she thought to herself.

She wondered if Corvus must have somehow seen this thought reflected in her face because his expression softened as if in realization 

"Midnight"

 She turned from him but he stepped closer, standing to her right but close behind her, his hand cautiously sought out hers, and her fingers welcomed his, although reservedly, and her head slowly moved to let her eyes meet his, he was only an inch or so taller she is

"You wish for the truth? I did not seek you out before now because I wanted you to come to me when, if you were ready. I shut myself away out of shame, because I did not have the courage to end it before things escalated as they did."

Proxima turned suddenly and Corvus clarified his words

"in front of Thanos, I should have yielded when I saw a chance, it never should have gotten to that point...I should never have..."

Proximas’ brow furrowed 

“You're wrong. If things had not gotten to this point Thanos never would have accepted...us, if we'd given in too soon we'd be seen as weak.”

She turned her body to face him, her confidence returning in his presence 

“This is what he wanted, Corvus. He wanted to see how far we would go, he wanted to watch us tear each other apart for him, for his approval and acceptance.” 

She lifted her free hand, the own not still clasped in his own, to touch his cheek, feeling his warmth as he no doubt felt her coldness

“We just have to prove that we can withstand it, that we can give him what he wants and still remain strong, together. If you want me the same way I want you, you won't give up, you won't let Thanos destroy us no matter how loyal we are to him.”

His words hook into him, taking root and drawing him in, until his mouth met hers in a fierce, if apologetic, kiss, Proximas’ subsequent moan is muffled as she reciprocates, separating her hand from his to wrap her arm around his shoulders to bring him closer.

He lays her on her back, on his side of the bed, before taking the pillow from the other side and positioning it under her  injured arm before proceeding to remove her clothing, guiding away her hands when she tried to do the same, once she was bare for him, he had kissed every part of her, every mark and every scar, however faint, paying particular attention to the  ones he knew were caused by him during their ‘test of loyalty’ each kiss he leaves is sealed with whispered apologies, though she was silent beyond soft murmurs and hushed sounds of pleasure, the way Proxima returns his touches, with hands and lips against his flesh, are her replies of forgiveness.

It didn't end there -Thanos 'tests' of their loyalty are many, but sporadic. Sometimes there are weeks when they are left in peace, weeks when Thanos almost seems to flat out ignore the fact that they are more than simply fellow Generals in his Black Order, and suddenly they will be called upon, together, and instructed to prove themselves to their master.

 Slaughter, even for good reason, for the greater good of the entire universe, is messy, and Thanos has long since disassociated himself from it, as he expects his Children to do, but he has witnessed his children falter over the years Thanos could not deny that it intrigued him, how well they balance both such complete opposite sides of themselves, of their lives. Balance was of the utmost importance to the Great Titan, so this only served to further prove to him that he was right to allow them to be together, to be married; he would always be watching, however, ready to do whatever he had to to maintain the balance of existence aboard his ship.

But the depth of their devotion to each other had and would always withstand whatever Thanos deemed necessary to throw at them, never fluctuating, never breaking. However hard anyone, including Thanos tried to rip them apart, even when he used one against the other, Corvus and Proxima would ensure they were there for their partner to put them back together again time and time again, always.

Chapter 84: GUILT

Summary:

Set shortly after the accident that damaged Proximas' arm and leg

Notes:

This is probably one of the most out of character chapters I've done but it's kind of based on that one scene from Thanos Death Sentence, and...yeah that's my excuse guys, sorry but not sorry 😂

Chapter Text

Proxima grit her teeth, forcing herself to continue her tedious but painful task.

‘148, 159, 160!’

She continued to lift the small hand-weight to be level with the front of her shoulder, slowly relaxing her arm then repeating the action while trying to ignore the pain.

 It had been several months since the disastrous mission which had left her scarred, and with significantly less  strength and muscle damage in her left arm and right leg; she would need another skin graft operation on her leg, much to her chagrin; she’d finally reached point to where her limp was barely noticeable, and with time and work on her part it would dissipate entirely, but she worried that the recuperation after the skin graft would set her back again.

Finally she completed her set and rested, wincing in pain, dropping the small hand weight onto the bed she flexed her fingers in discomfort. 

Through the film of tears stinging her eyes, brought on by the intense pain, and the unpleasant memories,  she glared at the hand weight as though its very presence irked her; it was much lighter than she had previously been able to lift, she had no choice but to start low and build her strength up, hopefully, to where it had been before; breathing heavily, she furiously wiped her eyes with the back of her hand.

Almost immediately, Corvus carefully sat behind her, close enough that they were almost touching

“I can get  you something for the pain…” his  tone was  low, uncharacteristically careful

Proxima bit back her reply without thinking 

“I perfectly capable of getting it myself”

Corvus said nothing but she felt him him bristle at her tone and she immediately regretted it, she turned to face him, softening her tone

“I didn't mean to snap, I'm just…” she avoided her husbands’ gaze, shamed by her response as much as her tears.

Corvus interrupted by kissing her temple

“I know,” he reassured. 

But to Proximas’ surprise, as she was about to lean her body against his, Corvus got to his feet, and, from expression, was deep in thought and barely even looking at her.

Proxima did the same, though far more slowly due to her injuries

“You've been rather…pensive these last couple of days” she pointed out

Corvus’ brow furrowed

“You think so? I do not mean to be.”

He looked at his wife, sitting on the edge of the bed,  resting her weight on the toes of right foot because of the pain it brought her to put her full weight on her leg, then there was the slight tremble in her fingers from the muscle damage in her arm.

Corvus shifted as though his body willing him to go to her, but he resisted. 

Seeing this Proxima went on

 “Do not insult me, Corvus Glaive; I know somethings’ bothering you lately; half the time it's like you can hardly bear to look at me let alone touch me, then the other half of the time you can hardly stand not being in the same room…”

Despite the fears welling up within her, she kept her composure

“But if that is an act…”

Corvus was standing in front of her before she can finish, his hand cupping her cheek to have her face him

“Never, my love! How can you think that?”

Resting her hand on her knee, her eyes found the scattering of scars along the back of it

“If it’s because of…”

They both  looked  over the burns and scars from the accident, the ones from the corrective procedures she had already undergone were still healing; the edge of a patch of skin grafted over a particularly bad burn still  looked red and irritated

“I can understand if the sight of them bothers you…they are unsightly” she added distantly. 

Her uninjured hand came to her other, and Corvus is sudden;y grateful for her habit of biting her nails down short because before he could react she curls her fingers, digging them hard into the scarred flesh, and he jolted, grabbed uninjured hand 

“No, no my love don’t do that…your scars do not bother me; on my life they could never ever deter me from you, how could they…?”

His hand came to rest on her cheek, and Proxima smiled sadly

“Thank you my love, that means more to me than you can imagine.” 

But  Proxima frowned as  she  watched as almost a dozen different emotions seemed to cross his features in the span of half as many seconds

“That…isn’t all, is it?”

Corvus shook his head, eyes fixed her her arm, his mind, apparently, elsewhere in that moment 

Proxima took his hand

“Tell me, please?” 

Her voice was softer than was typical of the strong spoken warrior Proxima prided herself in being, both pleading yet to Corvus’ ear she may as well have demanded the truth from him, strong, loud and commanding…It was a truth he had kept to himself ever since the accident but was no longer able to conceal it seemed.

He turned, taking his hand from hers as he stepped away

“If anything, anyone, is at fault it is myself…”

Before Proxima could protest he went on, in a slightly shaken voice

“I should have anticipated the guards intervention, if they hadn’t held us up we would have been clear of the building before the explosion-…I should have been nearer, so that I might have taken the impact for myself, I’d have healed…and now-”

He couldn’t finish; his voice wavered in a way it hadn’t in…in a long time, longer than Corvus himself could remember. Proximas’ face was now a combination of pained confusion, in juxtaposition to the rare hints of sympathetic understanding in her eyes as she brought both hands to his cheeks; to her shock, Corvus lowered his gaze from hers, slightly hanging his head, as if in shame; it pained Proxima to see that.

And then it clicked in her mind; the reason for his sudden changes in behaviour towards her, was not due to any waning affection or lack of desire, but guilt. Eating away at him like a parasite, for who knew how long; it made her chest ache for him.

“Corvus…” 

In a split second he was on one knee before her; his hand hovered over hers, unwilling to reach for it, unwilling to risk causing her more pain

“Proxima, my Midnight, my love…”

He kept his head bowed; he couldn’t meet her eyes, couldn’t look at her 

“Forgive me…”

His forehead rested against her belly, hands still caressing what he can reach at this angle, after hesitation for a moment, caught of guard by his words and actions, Proxima placed a hand to the back of his own in a show of comfort

“My love…such pain, such shame…such guilt you’ve been carrying; you’ve no need! You could no more have seen the outcome of that mission as I.”

Corvus’ hands had settled on her waist, at her words, he held her firmly against him, as though expecting her to rip herself away from him

"forgive me"

She hushed him softly, kneading the back of his neck in the exact way she knew he liked; right on the border of pleasure and pain

“You've no need to ask for it-”

But he interjected with a single plea

“Proxima, please”

She swallowed, hearing the desperation in his tone, realising how much he need her to say it 

“Alright, alight” she placated lovingly

“You have it. You have it!” she murmured reassuringly, her voice low, unwavering

An odd moan left his throat, and Proxima wondered if he’d even noticed he’d done it, but she was distracted because in the same moment, he practically collapsed against her such was the sheer intensity of the relief that washed over him

"Thank you"

She felt the front of her suit grow damp, and Proxima found herself, truthfully, un-nerved by such a strong reaction, and it sunk in just how deeply this had been affectiong him; of course she would never think less of him; he'd seen her at her worst, in it's varying manifestations, on more than one occasion, the least she could do was accept and pull him through his own worst moments in return, yet she felt her throat constrict, as though her own body was trying to strangle her 

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry; in own pain, I didn’t realize you were suffering” 

She maneuvered her injured hand under his, turning it so that her palm facing upward under his own, though it caused her discomfort, she curled her fingers and thread them between him own; giving him permission to touch the injured flesh;   finding that she, in fact, wanted to devolve into tears along with him. Her hold, and his, tightened, and the couple simply sat, clinging to each other.

The release of such intense emotion, while uncharacteristic of the two hardened warriors, was cathartic for both, and in the long run, would aid in both the mental, emotional and, in Proximas’ case the physical scars the accident had on them, individually and as a pair; because that is what they are, what they always have and will be, partners in all things, however painful.

Chapter 85: REASSURANCE*

Summary:

Proxima and Corvus have a discussion shortly after he asks her to marry him

Chapter Text

Corvus is already lying in bed when she enters their darkened room; she knows he’s awake, of course he’s awake; the weapon that grants him regenerative abilities ensures he never requires, nor is able to reach, anything more than a deep doze in order to feel well rested.

She knows the room like the back of her hand, it’s nothing for her to remove her armor and peel off her battle suit, leaving in a pile at the foot of the bed before climbing into bed beside her husband; lying so that she’s facing him, her hands come to rest against his chest, fingers tracing indiscernible patterns along his skin

He speaks but doesn’t open his eyes

“Something on your mind? if you wish to speak of it..."

He cuts off the offer by adding

"though I know you aren't…”

A smile plays on her lips when he pauses again, and Proxima interjects quietly

“Used to it? No I'm not”

After a moment of consideration she sighs and goes on

“I'm used to simply keeping my thoughts to myself, going over things in my own mind, coming to my own conclusions, which have often been wrong unfortunately…”

His hand finds the curve of her hip beneath the bed covers and Corvus opens his eyes to meet her gaze

“Not in the years I've known you” he offers

“that I can tell you; if I can be of help you need only ask.”

Proxima nods once, she knows this but the reassurance is a comfort nonetheless

“I've been thinking about if and when we might wed, how things will change; how will it be different to the way things are now?”

The hand which had been stroking along her side stops

“Have you changed your mind?”

Proxima swallows, lifting her eyes to his; nervous about what his response might be

“What if I did, What would happen? I'd lose you…” she assumed.

It was unlike her to be upfront about the things which worried her, but this, the possibility they were discussing, was more than just a worry, in a concern; bone deep and nerve wracking even for the hardened warrior.

Corvus frowned, slipping his arm around her to rest his palm to her back, bringing her closer to him

“That would not happen my love, not if you didn't wish it.” he tells her firmly

Proxima, confused, placed her hands flat to his chest; she’d not expected this reply

“Would it not wound you, to have my rejection when I agree so readily in the first place?

Corvus sighed

“it would, I cannot deny it. But not so much that I would not wish to be with you, in any capacity. My feelings for you can not be so easily extinguished”

Proxima cannot hide her relief, the intensity of it almost hurt, and her voice all but fails her

“Why?” her voice is only a whisper in the dark but Corvus can see and hear her as clear as though she’d utter a battle cry to Thanos’ forces on the battlefield

Corvus hand traveled up her back in a soft, comforting gesture as he replies with utter honesty

“Because I am in love with you and I only wish for your happiness and comfort.”

Proxima shifted

“What of your own?”

Corvus chuckled once

“If you wish not to continue being together; in any capacity, then just having known you as you have allowed me to, in the time we have spent together, as bed-mates and as more, has given me a happiness I've never experienced, allowed me experience feelings I never have, and never believed I would. You’ve allowed me to know you in ways you yourself have admitted that no-one else does, and not only in the physical sense; for me that is more than enough.”

Proximas’ throat contracted; he was so willing to give himself to her in any capacity so long as she was happy, even if it meant parting and calling an end to what they had together…just the experience of what they’d shared so far, so willing to accept whatever decision she reached for what she saw of their future, anything was enough for him.

His words took a moment to hook into her mind, and when they did her decision was made.

“It isn't enough for me.” she stated firmly

She felt Corvus was about to move away but she took his face in her hands, anchoring him in place

“I- I never believed I was capable nor was I deserving of this kind of love, until you. But also...I don't believe I can ever feel this way for another.” she admitted

Corvus, sensing she wasn’t finished, cautiously let his arms wrap around her; she’s frowning in a way he has memorized already; she’s being carefully with her words, choosing them with precision in order to express herself as clearly and coherently as possibly in order to help him understand

“The way you look at me with such adoration, reverence, that…I can practically feel the weight of it; it's a weight I sometimes’ wonder whether I can bear, never having experienced anything like it before…”

Proxima lent in to him, accepting and encouraging his embrace

“ I won't let my own uncertainty be the end of that! I am wary of the changes it might bring, how things can possibly ever work out in the long run, if Thanos ever finds the six infinity stones and brings the universe to balance; there is a chance one or neither of us will live to see it happen”

Her words are true and they both know it, still it isn’t a reality ever spoken out loud, even among their siblings, it was simply a rule, a fact one accepted and never acknowledge in the live of a member of the Black Order

Proxima went on in a determined tone

"But no, I have not changed my mind. I won't let my own uncertainty be the end of what we have! I am wary of the changes it may bring, after all how things can possibly ever work out in the long run...if Thanos ever finds the six infinity stones and brings the universe to balance, there is a chance one or neither us will live to see it happen."

She meets his eyes, a hand finds his cheek in an uncharacteristically gentle caress"

"But until that day I can never be without you now." she admits

"Should I die, tomorrow, next month, two years, five years from now…I’d wish to do so as your wife.”

His arms draw her in and his mouth meets hers in a passionate kiss, filled by his relief upon hearing her words, his reply is mumbled against her lips between kisses

“Proxima, my love, my Midnight, you’ve no idea how good it feels to hear you say those words”

Her response is just as eager as she kisses him back, a hand on his shoulder, and the other to the back of his head keeps his face close to hers

“I did not mean to worry you; too much time spent in my own head I suspect”

Corvus’ mouth had travelled down her jaw, along her throat, and back to her cheek, then her lips, a physical show of comfort, acceptance and affection.

Her hand glide down to rest on against his sides

“Put your arms around me”

Her request was a soft whisper that could easily have been missed had they not been lying so close together and Corvus hearing surpassed that of most ordinary men.

He simply rumbles in the back of his throat in response, and does as she commands as they rearrange themselves so that Proxima is lying on her side, with her back resting against Corvus’ chest and stomach, his wiry arms wrap around her upper body, and Proxima hugs his arm, threading her fingers through his to keep him there; a silent request that they remain s they are even though he’d likely not have moved till they were forced to rise once rest hours ended, but their conversation had left her feeling vulnerable, she needed this reassurance for tonight.

Chapter 86: CONTACT

Summary:

Slightly different to my other chapters but just exploring part of a head-cannon of mine regarding these two.

Chapter Text

Proxima Midnight would most definitely, categorically deny being sentimental, as any child of Thanos should, and would do.

She was however, observant, yet she rarely found herself mulling over small details in her head over and over, she was a warrior, Corvus the strategist it was he who would focus on a point and ‘ponder it to death’ as Proxima described it.

However one morning she woke early, earlier than needed, still half asleep she adjusted her position slightly, she’d apparently been sleeping on her back during the night and she felt stiff, but before she could move anymore, something caught her attention, looking down she was mildly surprised to see her hand, palm facing the ceiling, was resting over the top of the bed covers and cradled in the hand of her lover, who remained deeply asleep beside her, he also lay on his back, his head facing away from her.

Proxima’s gaze didn’t move from the sight; her hand was smaller than his, and he possessed long claws instead of nails, and her hand was far more scarred than his, his regenerative abilities mostly kept his flash from scarring but she remained marked, and she wore them with pride; as reminders of glorious battles and well-deserved victories.

As she simply lay in the dim light of Corvus’ room, Proxima felt a swell in her chest, it didn’t hurt but…there was a definite ache that rose from her belly to spread through her chest, she released a short breath.

Stretching her fingers ever so slightly and then retracting them just as slowly Proxima gained a reaction, Corvus, even in his sleep, curled his fingers loosely around hers’ for a spilt second, it was so light she barley felt it, a single blink and she would have missed it.

But she didn’t. As Corvus shifted his head Proxima knew he would wake soon, so she lay back and pretended to be asleep, even as a small smile crossed her lips. She set the image to memory.

The detail, each wrinkle and crease in their hands, how much of his skin she could see from its position behind hers, how it almost seemed to outline the shape of her own was engrained in her memory. She would never speak of that moment, even after they eventually married Proxima would keep it to herself; the memory was hers alone.

 

Whether it was Proxima or Corvus that woke first each morning they would always, without fail, be in some form of physical contact with each other; be it her hand grasped in his, Proxima’s leg thrown over Corvus’ or the more common way Proxima woke with her forehead to her husbands chest and his arms wrapped around her possessively.

Proxima was well aware of how protective her husband could be over her, but Corvus knew and respected just how much Proxima valued her independence and anything that might imply a questioning or doubt of her skill was not to be tolerated.

Because of this, during battle or general day to day life, Corvus did his best to curb this protective instinct so as not to aggravate Proxima Midnight.

But once asleep these suppressed protective tendencies surfaced in a subconscious need for physical reassurance that his lady Midnight was there, safe, within his reach. In the privacy of their chambers, Proxima not only tolerated these unconscious actions but enjoyed them.

The feeling of being wanted…needed in such an intense way was empowering.

There was no question that she was his, completely and utterly, just as much as he was hers and Proxima Midnight would protect and defend what was hers no matter the cost and waking to even the smallest hint of physical contact was enough to assure Proxima that Corvus shared the feeling with just as much fervour as she.

Chapter 87: CRASH LANDING

Summary:

Just some flirting between the OTP after a rough mission.
Also Proxima is a terrible pilot.

Chapter Text

They were returning from a mission gone side-ways, the tribute collection was not without its issues; including having an entire transporter of Outriders being fired upon and  destroyed, resulting in an all too conspicuous explosion; thanks to Proximas’ capabilities in evasive manoeuvres, they had barely managed to avoid the resulting  blast radius, but had been forced to delay their return to avoid the radar of a Xandarian fleet whom their opponents had called up for reinforcements.

But as they reached the vicinity of the Sanctuary 2, the damage was becoming clearer, making the final leg of their journey bumpier than it should have been

“Thrusters are damaged” 

Proxima flicked a switch on the control console, she and her husband both grunted as the ship jolted and teetered downward, at this rate they would enter a nose dive and completely miss the hangers’ massive entrance!

Corvus, gripping the back of Proxima seat, adjusted his grip 

“Pull up, pull up now!”

She did, but with such force that the ship turned almost horizontal, and Corvus, not being strapped in, was  flung upwards, where he hit the ceiling, slamming back down to the floor again as Proxima hastily stabilized the ship.

“Brace yourself” She called back to him dryly, fully aware that her comment was completely redundant,

She then put all her weight on the steering gear; they’d be lucky to make it before the ship completely gave out

 "We’ll have to bail out as soon as we’re clear!”

There was a deep tremor throughout the ship, and the top half of the circular Q-ship hit the top of the hangers’ entrance, ripping through layers  the steel, titanium gears and mechanisms.

Clambering to his feet with a snarl, Corvus managed to balance himself, digging his claws in to the floor for balance only to be tackled down by Proxima, and their bodies flew out of the opening that had been ripped into the ship.

They hit the floor, rolling several times as the ship hit the ground and was sent skidding across the Hanger, rolling multiple times just as the ship landed, skidding several feet away.

Sharing a glance with Corvus, Proxima  tried to stop herself but was forced to release the stream of laughter that she had momentarily been suppressing, Corvus couldn’t help but join her.

Their laughter subsided after a moment 

"Do you think we will get away with it?” she inquired, with one last huff of amusement.

When no answer came, she looked at Corvus, who stared up at her, not even attempting to get to his feet, only furthering Proximas’ amusement

“You like this position?” she questioned huskily with her face just inches from his.

Corvus wanted to move his hands to her hips but their position was preventing him from doing so

“Oh I do. In all the universe it is my third favourite place to be”

Proxima frowned

“only third?” she demanded, closing her thighs tighter around her lovers’ waist in threat.

 Corvus grunted but chuckled once more, he knew from experience that she had the ability to brake his hip bones with her strength. 

 Proxima gasped as he flipped them over so that he was now straddling and smirking down at her

"This is my second favorite" he stated

"And..."

He lent in closer to her

“The only thing better, is being inside you” he growled, his teeth biting into her bottom lip briefly.

He heard her breathing hitch and felt her body stiffen, she was exceedingly grateful in that moment that, due to their cooler body and blood temperature, her species were unable to blush but Corvus felt pride swell in his chest at the flustered expression on Proxima’s features as she opened her mouth to speak, only to be interrupted by a third voice

“We have private chambers for a reason brother, please make use of them” 

Proxima and Corvus glanced over in alarm, finding Cull Obsidian lumbering towards them, with The Maw drifting at his much larger companions side.

Corvus  quickly stood, offering her a hand which she took, letting  him tug her to her feet as The Ebony  Maw drifted towards them, looking rather unimpressed

“You’re in one piece I see” 

Proxima, not in the mood for his jabs, retorted 

“Sorry to disappoint” 

Obsidian veered off in order to start dismanteling the charred shell of the wreckage and  Corvus stepped to his wifes’ side, eyeing The Maw who came to hover a couple of feet in front of them

The Ebony Maw curled his grey, thin lip as he  went on

“Lord Thanos will not be pleased when I report to him that you-”

He looked at Proxima in disapproval

“Took the liberty of piloting one of the latest models of ships. He is most adamant that, where possible, another member pilots on team missions, while you solely pilot the older models, and now…” 

He gestured lazily behind them, Corvus and Proxima glanced to where he had indicated; Chitarui guards were sent into a frenzy trying to maintain and put out the flames of the ruined ship.

The couple returned their expressionless gazes to their ‘Sibling’

“There were extenuating circumstances” Proxima insisted

Corvus then added

“We had a Xandarian fleet on us; Proxima is most well versed in effective evasion maneuvers"

The Maw however was unconvinced

“I highly advise that you spend some time practicing more basic piloting techniques as well as aerial combat. I'm certain young Nebula will be glad to instruct you” 

Nebula was 10! And with that condescending comment The Maw turned to drift away, not seeing Proxima, holding out her spear, take a threatening step forward with a grunt, Corvus quickly out his arm, stopping her.

After a tense moment, without taking her eyes from the Maws retreating form Proxima lent into murmur loudly in her husbands’ ear

“We could…always say he did in the explosion…?” 

They shared a look of both suggestion and consideration. 

But, ultimately, deciding the assassination  of their infuriating ‘sibling’ could wait, Proxima looked to her husband, who was  still watching the figure of the Maws’ retreating form with malice. Taking his wrist she tugged him along the hall, looking for something along the wall as she did so. 

Finding the familiar storage room, she opened the door, letting Corvus go in first as she checked to ensure they had not been seen. With Corvus  descending the seven or eight steps that led down into the room, she locked the door behind them before joining him.

He pulled her in and the pair exchanged a brief but heated kiss before pulling away

“As much as I hate to agree with The Maw of all people, he is right; you shouldn’t have assumed control of the ship  like that. It could be seen as being akin to mutiny…” 

Proxima  bit her lip as  she subtly swayed her hips against him teasingly 

“Am I to be subjected to some form of interrogation, General?”

Smirking he brought his mouth to her neck taking in her scent, feeling her body press firmly against his

“I’m afraid so, in fact I’m quite certain said interrogation will be quite…intense, and could last most of the night”

He felt Proxima shiver as she wrapped her arms around him, his mouth worked its way up from her throat, to her jaw, finding her lips, of course she welcomed him immediately, their tongues rolling, pushing and pinning as the kiss deepened in passion and intensity.

They broke apart with some reluctance, Proxima can already feel that familiar dampness growing between her legs

“I want you” 

Her breath hitched as Corvus roughly  backed her against the wall behind her

“Prove it” 

Proxima  smirked

“Is that an order?” she questioned in a low, husky tone

Corvus gave her a firm but loving look

“Most definitely.” 

Proxima could not be more thankful that Rhynarians' couldn’t blush, at least visibly.

Chapter 88: OVERHEATED

Summary:

Proxima struggles while on a misson on a planet with incredibly high temperatures; luckily she has a very perceptive and attentive husband.

Chapter Text

Corvus effortlessly drags the largest blade of his glaive through the torso of the faceless wretch at his feet.  

This particular purge was certainly not an ordinary one. This purge was not the result of over-population, but the changes in environment, the planet no longer sustainable as it edged closer towards the larger-than-average sun that beat down from above.  

Just two members of the Black Order had been sent, without Thanos in attendance, and only a handful of Outriders backing them. The planet is so small that, on foot, at a decent pace, it might have taken mere months to travel the entirety of it and reach ones’ starting point again. It was a surprise that it had come to Thanos’ attention at all.  

 

Even Corvus feels the sweat beading at his nape and rolling down his back even beneath the tight material of his battle suit, his cloak had been cast off and left in the Q-ship shortly after their arrival within the planets’ orbit. 

Due to the rising heat, the seasons had blended into one single humid filled heatwave, rarity in rainfall meant that water was scarce, the receding of such a  vital resource created a ripple effect of destruction as plants and animals died out, therefore affecting the race people that relied on them for food, medicine and the like. 

All of this culminated in a population of barely a thousand,  with that single slash of Corvus’ glaive he erased the life of the last living being, that was not counted as plant nor animal, on the entire planet, whether the planet recovered in any way after that would remain to be seen.

 

Corvus looks across the scattered bodies, there’s just one other figure still standing among them, his keen eyes catching the flash of deep blue hair of  Proxima Midnight. Corvus makes his way  towards her,  stabbing his weapon down every so often to ensure none he passes were left alive. 

She senses rather than sees his approach without looking up, and Proxima unconsciously steps in his direction while slashing  at another body.

It’s only as they draw closer to each other that Corvus notices that something seems…off with Proxima yet he couldn’t pinpoint exactly  why; why, in what way, she seemed off, nor why she would seem out of sorts at all. 

As they reach each other, when they are just inches apart, Proxima finally looks  up to meet the gaze of her husband; she’d not been looking where she was going, yet made no indication that their sudden proximity startled her, as though she’d simply expected that they would return to each others’ vicinity, their bond an imitation of some magnetised force that pulled and retired them to each other by natural design. 

But now that he is closer to her, Corvus sees more clearly what made her seem off before,  there is a heaviness in her movements, like her body has tripled in weight and is slowly becoming more difficult to keep standing, let alone move as she needed to, it makes her equilibrium  seem off balance

“Midnight?” 

Corvus puts a hand to her cheek, eyes scanning her features quickly, until, to his surprise, she flinches and bats his hand away

“What?” she asks irritably

“Are we done here? I’d like to return home now”  

But Corvus take her jaw gently between his thumb and index finger, eyes searching hers

“My love, look at me, meet my eyes for me”

With an annoyed but accepting expression she does so, or rather, tries to, because she sways slightly and when she does, very briefly, manage to meet his gaze, her eyes are almost half closed; she looks  about ready to pass out where she stood.

Corvus has seen enough

“You’re overheating” 

Taking her wrist he moves away, pulling her with him

“Come with me” 

Before Proxima can protest or question him, Corvus barks orders at the Outriders to stay behind; they would eat their fill of the dead and squabble over the scraps.

<p>

Proxima feels no need to question him; such was their trust in each other that when one said they should leave, whether it is during battle, or other circumstances, the other would follow knowing there was always a fair and good reason for their partner to say so, reasons which would be explained when the time was convenient.

Thus she silently lets her husband lead them through the trees, most of which are bare of any leaves, and those that remained were thin and brittle, baked in heat of the sun. Rather how she feels, truth be told. Her naturally  lower body temperature means that her tolerance for higher temperatures is also far lower than most, and the planets’ atmosphere is getting to her.

At first, her husband doesn’t look at her, but rather glances around,  looking for something. After a few moments he pauses, and taps into the comm-band on his wrist, a thin beam of red light shoot forward and scans the area, the device bleeps and the light turns green before disappearing.

After just a few more steps they reach it.

Beneath some thicker branches shading it from the unforgiving sun, sunken down into the ground with a collection of rocks creating a border half way around, is a pool of clear water; one of the last fresh sources on the entire planet

“Come, it’s safe.“ Corvus directs.

Proxima drops her spear and is at the edge in an instant, cupping her hands to drink and splash her face with the, thankfully, still cool water.

Corvus drove his glaive into the ground, leaving it to stand freely as he moves to Proximas’ side, he kneels beside her hunched form, placing a hand on her back as she drinks.

She stops only when her stomach cramps in protest and, still kneeling, she wipes a hand across her mouth before turning her head to smile slightly at Corvus

“Thank you” 

He can see the gratitude in her eyes, and his lip moves a few millimeters upwards before he inclines  his head to the pool

“In”

The way she frowns borders on accusatory, and though he is more relaxed now that she has something to drink, he  notes that her skin is still  paler than it should be, and the pulse beating in the vein in her neck too rapid.

He then adds firmly 

“It’s just waist deep, I promise, Proxima please just do it” 

Too lethargic to argue, which in itself Proxima realizes is an issue, she strips from her battle-suit, removes her armor with practiced ease; the scars of her left arm and right leg are starting to swell and redden, the skin becoming itchy and tight.

<p>

She steps down into the water, slowly acclimating herself to its contrasting coolness. Corvus prowls the waters’ edge to watch her side-on, taking in her profile as she sinks down to let the surface of the water lap around her shoulders before her head back with her black lips parting slightly as she breathes a sigh of relief. 

Cupping her hands again, she brings more water to face, sliding her hands back over her hair so it rests slickly against her scalp, she’ll never dip her head right under, Corvus knows. 

It isn’t that she is afraid of water, in fact one of her secret pleasures (known only to Corvus) is the rain; the sound of it, the smell, running through it or just standing under it are all things she enjoys greatly. She just doesn’t know how to swim; the survivor in her, the instinctive part of her that she has relied upon to keep herself alive all these years, means that she avoids  all bodies of water any deeper than above her elbows, even that might be pushing it depending on the situation.

Proxima meets the eyes of her husband with a smirk, corvus know it means he needs to be on alert 

“Join me?” she dares

Corvus eyes her with a smirk of his own

“Midnight-” he warns

They both know her simply asking is testing his resolve, and Proximas’ expression becomes unreadable  save for the ghost of a smile gracing her lips

“Do you not wish to ensure I am safe, my beloved? I’m still ever so warm, I may pass out; you’d need to get to me lest I drown”

Corvus’ sigh is almost one of defeat

“Proxima…”

Their eyes clash, and Corvus finds her giving him that look; fixing him with a stare that might as well be looking through him, through armor and flesh, through muscle and organs, like she can see into whatever is left of him beyond that. Her lips part slightly, any trace of a smirk or smile gone, and her amber eyes seem to glow against the black marking that stretches from one temple, across the bridge of her nose, to the side of her head to where her horns grow

“Corvus”

There’s a jolt in the base of his spine, not so much a stab as it is a pull; like a rope lassoing around his spine and jerking him to her.  

“Cursed woman” he mutters 

The  bond they shared tugs at him, a force he can resist as easily as he can resist gravity itself as he hastily removes steel toed boots and armored  vambraces.

Proximas’ sharp chuckle of laughter reaches  his ears as Corvus wades into the water, splashing carelessly in his apparent frustration. He’s standing before her in moments, his sinewy body having moved effortlessly through the resistance of the water, and immediately his hand finds her hips, drawing himself closer to her as she remains pliant as marble where she stands, waiting for him to come to her, reaching a hand to him.

Corvus offers her a predatory smirk, outwardly he seems obedient, domesticated as he gives in to her whims and comes when she calls, but he is, in fact,  as much in control as she. He takes her hand carefully as soon as she is within reach putting a kiss to her knuckles.

With her hand resting against his chest, she flexes her fingers; the change in temperature makes the stinging worse but she knows it is temporary, if anything the cool water will help.  She rewards him by wrapping her arms around his neck and  allows her eyes to close for several moments,  and her chest vibrates with a hum of approval.

“Better?” 

His palms skate over her waist, up her sides, and follow the length of her arms; his teeth nip at her neck, close to breaking the skin, making her jump and respond

“Yes.” 

His hands stroke over her head, gathering her wet hair and moving it back from her shoulders and face. She's grateful for his attentiveness, and readily basks in that attention; it is only the two of them therefore she has less of an issue with letting her guard down and she leans in to him further, her hands copying his, travelling over his warm body and feeling him shiver against both the chill of the cool water and her touch

 Thank you.”

Proxima curls her fingers against his skin, their eyes watch as they thread their fingers together and  the water ripples softly around their entwined bodies.

Chapter 89: CAPTURED

Summary:

Proxima Midnight does not take mockery, nor the capture of her husband by their enemies, lightly. In fact, she takes in very much...to heart.

Chapter Text

An elite army served to protect the current planet chosen for ‘Cleansing’ and had so far prevented the Black Order from reaching the planets leaders, three  kings of great strength and power, but who had grown complacent, too comfortable laying others' lives on the line in place of their own, and the General leading said army had carried out the coordinated, and focused  attack on the apparent leader of the THanos’ forces while lower class soldiers created diversions for the others, culminating in the capture and torture of one Corvus Glaive.

 

There would be no telling what exactly had gone wrong to derail the invasion so badly, but with half the general population dead on Thanos’ orders, his generals were now free to focus on the retrieval of one of their own.

Proxima, flanked by Cull to her left and  The Ebony Maw to her right, approached the midway point, a previously chosen stretch of neutral territory between parties.

With a smile that made the  hairs at the back of Prroximas’ neck stand to attention, the leading General of their opponents army slid a hand into the leather pouch buckled around his waist, taking something in his hand, giving an under-hand toss so that whatever it was thudded to Proximas’ feet. 

It was a heart,an actual heart carved from someones’ chest;  still twitching and pulsing sporadically in the dirt

“Thought you’d at least want this back. My kings will be taking the rest as payment for the slight against our people, as many times as necessary.” 

The horrifying realization dawned on her, and Proxima clung to her composure by a thread, fighting the urge to vomit.

Corvus .

Cull made an enraged sound from deep in his throat, while the Maw simply raised his brow.

The opposing General smirked and, with his immaculate crimson cloak billowing at his heels, arrogantly spun and marched back the way he had come, in the direction of the palace; the line of guards parted in perfect unison to allow their leader through.

In the blink of an eye Proxima threw her spear with deadly accuracy, and enraged shout passed her lips without her permission. The General was implaed by the three points, the body jarred wit the force of the spear being wrenched free again, the man was dead before Proxima had even recalled her weapon back to her hand.

What remained of the army closed the gap around their dead leader and rasied their weapons, ready to fight for the honour of their fallen comrade and general.

When Cull moved to take a large stride forward, she held out her arm, hand trembling with barely contained anger

“You will not interfere they’re mine”

She turned to look to her brother-by-law over her shoulder, navy hair partly obscuring her eye

“I will need a box” 

With that she threw herself into the line of guards with a warriors cry.

Cull glanced at the Maw in disbelief but the telekinetic raised a hand

“Leave her be.” he instructed boredly. 

He then gestured for Cull to follow as he turned, hovering his way back to their ship

“Let us see about filling that request she made”



Davidov, Ivan and  Vasillii - The three leaders, kings, of the planet listed for the Black Orders invasion 

All three held equal standing in their kingdom, but final decisions were made by Davidov, like his brethren he possessed a humaoids’ form, with sallow, yellow skin, and no hair.

A pale grey line was drawn in war-paint from the back of his nape to the end of his nose in a single continuous line, two more similar lines were drawn horizontally either side of his throat which bobbed as he swallowed hard as he watched the events unfolding below from the window.

He stood beside his throne, between those of his fellow kings, looking down at his fallen guards, not a single one was  left alive.

The doors of the throne room were suddenly obliterated, and the spear of Proxima Midnight soured through the air, coming to lodge itself into the upper part of the back-rest of Davidovs throne; neither Davidov nor his two companions flinched.

Proxima called her spear back to her hand as she entered, carrying a sturdy wooden chest under one arm and her husband's glaive strapped securely to her back. A pair of armed guards attempted to intercept her, but Proxima, barely blinking, kicked one in the gut, crushing his skull by smashing the chest under her arm into his skull with a single, fluid swing of her arm,  while skewering the other with her spear. 

 

Davidov smirked, folding purple robes like some useless fabric shield around his frame as Proxima marched forward

“You know what I have come for” she demanded sharply

Davidovs’ amused expression didn’t change as he gestured to his right, two more guards brought Corvus Glaive into view; still healing from being tortured and literally having his heart ripped from his body. 

Proxima forced herself to, at least for now, contain the rage that bubbled within her to herself

"You have something of mine, I demand it returned"

 

Ivan smiled cruely down at her

"Did we not do so already?"

Proximas' fist tightened around her spear how dare such unruly wretches mock her, how dare they assume to take it upon themselves to touch a Child of Thanos, her husband, and take him apart only to watch him mend and cut away another piece of him like some mindless lab animals used for experimentation. He was at least conscious, blinking once in Proximas’ direction, she did the same in response, their silent, subtle communication went unnoticed by the three kings.

Proxima slammed down the wooden chest she carried, a single spark from a point of her spear shattered the lock, she lifted the lid and kicked it forward, sending it skidding across the polished floor to the foot of the stairs that led the the dias where the 3 kings sat upon their thrones

Inside was the heart of each and every guard she had slain on the battlefield, every one of those who had tried to block her path from reaching the palace, from reaching him.

Her next words were spat like poison at her stunned enemies.

“You were kind enough to return my husbands beating heart to me. I felt obliged to return the favor, on behalf of your loyal army”

Seeing the chest and it's contents, and with his own black blood staining his teeth and chin, Corvus Glaive grinned with a dark chuckle, only for Ivan, who stood nearest, to backhand him across the jaw, breaking it and sending Corvus to the floor. Not yet finished, Ivan lifted a foot and stamped down on Corvus’ rib-cage, making him howl in animalistic rage and pain, the floor squealed in protest when his armored claws dragged lines into it, uselessly seeking purchase  as each rib on his right side was shattered.

Vasilii and Davidov watched Proxima for any sign of a reaction, all he got was a slight twitch of her left eye. As he lay, wheezing at Ivans’ feet, Corvus met Proxima eyes, giving her a slight nod, which she returned with the smallest of smiles, something changed in Proximas’ eyes as though he’d spoken clearly some words only she could hear; just like before, the exchange was so subtle the three Kings missed it entirely. 

Like she’d been given some silent form of permission, Proxima rained down hell.

She stalked forward, spear half raised, yet as she brought it down, Davidov lifted his arm, and the clang of metal rang out, bouncing off of the walls of the throne room as the weapon clashed with the armor encasing Davidovs arm, concealed beneath his robes. Said robes were quickly shed by a smirking Davidov, shrugged from his body to reveal his entire body was encased in the same plated metal armor as his arm. Vasilii and Ivan mirrored each other perfectly as they did the same, they too adorned the same armor as their fellow leader; all the lunged, engaging Proxima in combat.

 

She managed to deflect several blows, throwing her spear into the air, she fell into a back flip off of the stairs leading the the thrones, kicking Vasilii in the face in the process. She landed, and caught her spear, just as Ivan had recklessly lunged after her; she quickly impaled him with the force of a star and tossed his dying body aside to defend herself from Davidov and Vasilli.

As she ducked, dodged and landed multiple blows of her own, she assessed who her next best target was; Ivan had been the reckless one, Vasilii was strong but seemed distracted; she would bring him down next. 

Ducking a blow from Vasilii, she swung her spear, knocking his feet from under him, bringing Corvus’ glaive down through his chest with the other hand, ending the 2nd of the 3 leaders.

This left Davidov enraged, and he was able to strike Proxima across the face, taking her by surprise enough for her to lose her grip on her spear, where it rolled and clattered across the floor. Ducking another blow, she punched him, hard enough to send him flying backwards, giving her enough time to get to her feet, keeping low as she leapt over Vasiliis’ body.

 

Davidov flinched as Proxima drove the smaller blade of the glaives’ handle down, wedging it into the floor; she used the momentum to spin around it like a pole, kicking Davidov in the face. Wretching the weapon from the group she threw it, narrowly missing Davidovs shoulder, with a malevolent grin, realizing she had missed, he advanced on her even as Proxima recalled her spear to her hand, bringing it into a defensive position across her chest.

Davidov chuckled 

“Nowhere to run. You will pay for the deaths of my Brothers…your head will join the heart of your lover on the battle-field. ” 

Proximas’ expression softened but the smile that spread across her black lips was one of deep sadistic pleasure. Davidov suddenly jolted, a choking sound bubbled up from his throat as a hand came to wrap around his wind-pipe from behind and Corvus’ frightening visage came into view as he muttered into Davidovs’ ear

“Not before yours”

With that he tore the glaive downward, and Davidovs body collapsed at his feet. 

Proxima watched her husband step over the pieces of Davidovs body, relaxing her arm and lowering her spear as she moved to meet him. 

He bent his forehead to hers, feeling her push back against his in return and her hand came to his cheek

“My love” 

Foreheads still pressed together, they looked to the side, where the wooden chest sat, containing the dead hearts of the soldiers.

Corvus suppressed a shudder at the memory to having his carved out of his chest while he breathed, his arms encircled his wife seeking the reassurance of her cool body pressed against his

“It’s always belonged to you; will for as long as you’ll have it” he told her in a hushed tone

Proximas’ smile now lacked the sadistic curl it had moments before and she pulled back only enough to meet his blood red gaze and place a hand lightly to his chest where his heart would now regrowing beneath her fingers, under cloth, flesh, muscle and bone

“And I shall keep it for as long as you’re willing to offer it. Perhaps not quite so literally from now on though; it is not a sight i think i can stomach again in one lifetime.”

Corvus forced a chuckle 

“Trust me, it is not an experience I wish to repeat again either.” 

Corvus suddenly released a groan of pain as his body continued to knit itself back together from the inside out, the unpleasant and painful sensation causing him to lean on Proxima for support. She acted quickly, slipping under his shoulder to support him while wrapping her free arm around his middle and taking his glaive into her own hand to carry it along with her spear.



By the time they were halfway across the now still and lifeless battlefield outside the palace, Corvus was able to mostly walk normally, using his glaive to lean a little of his weight on as he healed; typically he need only lie still for a few hours after such injuries had been inflicted but they needed to leave, now, so he had no choice. Cull and the Maw met them a short way from the Q ship before the four generals boarded and began the long journey back to the Sanctuary 2.

Cull set about cleaning blood from his hammer, sitting  on a large steel storage crate as he worked, as the Maw approached, looking to his left, he took in the sight of Corvus, lying in a deep, restful sleep on a bench, with Proxima wedged between him and the wall, while lying almost on top of him due to the limited about of space on said bench, meant to be sat on not used as a sleeping arrangement; but Corvus’ hand on her back kept Proximas’ exhausted, sleeping form close.

The Maws’ features twisted briefly and he spoke

“Thanos will be expecting our report” 

Cull gave a beast-like snort before retorting in his thick, gravelly native language 

“Leave them be. Thanos can wait until my brother is healed. You saw what they did; and she-”  he referred to Proxima

“Dealt with it alone, at her own request but if any of us, other than Corvus, deserves the rest she does” he stated snippily.

The Maw raised his brow; it wasn’t the first, nor likely the last time, their more brutish sibling had protected the pair, but with a gesture of his hand, The Ebony Maw drifted away to occupy himself for the remainder of the journey. 

Cull glanced at his brother-by-blood and Sister-by-law, Proxima shifted, her head rested in crossed arms against Corvus’ chest, moving in time with his deeper than usual breaths, before the largest of the Black Order went back to cleaning his sullied weapon.

Series this work belongs to: