Actions

Work Header

Seven’s a party

Chapter 2: Photo Booth

Summary:

Jonathan plans a surprise trip for Nancy after work; their first night out as new parents.

Notes:

To avoid confusion, the start of this chapter takes place after the birth of their son, Bobbie, and the ending takes place after the birth of their youngest daughter, Jamie 😊

None of the chapters are in chronological order 💕

Chapter Text

“Jonathan, where the hell are we going?” Nancy laughed, stumbling to keep up with her boyfriend.

“You’ll love it, I promise. Just five more minutes.” Jonathan called over his shoulder. “Trust me on this.”

This was their first date night in months, both teens were reluctant to leave their newborn son even with Karen and Joyce fawning over him every chance they got.

Starcourt Mall was almost completely empty, save for a few late-night shoppers. Having been stuck at work later than usual, the young couple were on a tight schedule to get home to relieve Joyce of babysitting duties.

“I know it’s not for dinner, we already ate. If you’re taking me to get ice cream, I’ll explode.” Taking three quick steps to one of Jonathan’s long strides, Nancy wrapped her arms around his waist and pressed her cheek into the back of his shoulder.

“Nope. You can guess all you want but I’m not telling, you do know what a surprise means don’t you?” He smirked playfully.

She shoved his shoulder with a snort, “Shut up, smartass. Said with love, of course.”

“Oh Miss Wheeler, you do wound me so~.” They came to a halt beside a small photo booth, Nancy’s eyes widening in realisation.

“No, nononono. Jonathan, I look like a wreck. I’m all sweaty, I need a shower.” She protested, blue eyes shining in the defiant way they always did.

Jonathan bent a little to peck her lips. “Shhh, you look beautiful. Hold on.” He took the hairband out of his back pocket and gently pulled her hair into a messy up-do, inching them backwards into the booth as he did so. “There, beautiful.”

“You’re so lucky I love you.” She grumbled but struggled to hide the smile quirking the edge of her mouth, half-falling into her boyfriend’s lap while the curtain closed behind them. “Only one strip, okay?”

“That’s all I ask for.” Jonathan smiled softly. Once all of his quarters slid into the machine, he settled back and with on hand in his pocket.

The first flash lit up the tiny box, his chin resting on Nancy’s shoulder. “Nance, I actually need to ask you something...”

Her head twisted slightly and looked at him with concern. “What’s wrong?...”

Rather than answer outright, Jonathan paused for a few seconds then held his hand up, palm outstretched in time for the next photo to be taken. Though he was sweating bullets, his eyes were sparkling; after all, there was backing out now. “Nancy Wheeler, love of my life, will you marry me?”

Nancy’s eyes welled up in surprise and fondness, all of the late nights and extra shifts that had Jonathan so weary suddenly made perfect sense, it was just like him to go above and beyond for her in every way. Only Jonathan Byers could plan a proposal so thoughtful and sweet.

“Y-yes... Of course I’ll marry you, you dork!” She choked, cupping his cheeks for a searing kiss which he returned tenfold. In the background, the third -and final- flash emitted; capturing the moment forever.

And as the years went by, despite their mother incessantly teasing their father for his sentimentality, Bobbie, Barb and Jamie all knew that she had that very same photo-strip, of that perfect night in 1987, tucked away in her bedside cabinet.

Notes:

I wrote most of this in the wee hours of the morning, spinning around in a desk chair while drunk on herbal tea. So I apologise for any incoherence 😂

Series this work belongs to: