Actions

Work Header

It's written in the stars

Summary:

Kagome paled when she realized they were gone. Days ago she had told Inuyasha that she was going home to stay. She couldn’t do it anymore. She couldn’t pretend to be okay with being second best in his heart. It hurt too much to know he loved Kikyo more. Now that her jewel shards were gone, she found herself falling to the floor with tears in her eyes. He didn’t even say goodbye before taking away her choice of returning. Her heart broke as she thought about all she had lost. The people who had become her family. Five years have passed since that day, and the memory still stung. She would never forgive him for taking her choice away. Never. However, moving on from her past is proving harder than she would have thought.

Chapter Text

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha or any of its characters. All rights belong to the creators of the Manga and show.

….

Chapter one

….

Inuyasha felt weightless as he forced his mind to remain focused. He had enough of not being able to keep his mind from drifting. Not that he had enough strength to be angry about it. No he used these moments of being able to actually think for trying to figure out what was going on. Where was he? How long had he been here? It felt timeless in this vast nothingness. Nothing was around for him to note the time, and while he was sure he'd been here for a long while, he wasn't sure at all how long that was.

It helped to think back on the times he could remember. He remembered when this void grabbed ahold of him. He was fighting Naraku with the others. He could remember throwing Tessaiga at Naraku, but then everything started to fade. He heard Miroku's warning calls, and Sango's yells. He vaguely recalled Shippo frantically trying to help him, but what he doesn't know is what happened to him? Blackness overtook him, and everything ceased to exist.

When he first woke here, he was confused. Was this death then? Was the end nothing? But then why did he feel alive? He felt the need to fight. Something kept telling him that where he was, it wasn't death. But where then? What so effectively took away his sight? His ability to hear? Every now and again he would smell something, but never could he make out what it was.

Once he determined that this was not death, he knew he needed to escape, but was unsure what had him in the first place. How can you fight something you cannot see? How can you move when you feel as though your limbs weigh a ton? He would have to adjust…No. His mind was wavering. He was once again starting to lose focus. He fought to keep his train of thought going. But he wasn't strong enough, and all too soon his mind was nothing but wandering thoughts, and memories.


 

 

"Is it weird to be back home?" Sota asked, as Kagome settled at the table.

Kagome smiled at her little brother, though he wasn't little anymore. He was nearly a man, and that was hard to believe. "It is a little bit. But it's good to be home. I've really missed you guys!"

"We've missed you too, dear," her mom replied, her familiar warm smile making this homecoming even better.

"So Sota, how are you're studies coming along?" Kagome asked. She was fighting to keep her mood light.

"Okay I guess. Boring as hell."

"Sota has a crush on a girl!" Gramps declared. Sota about fell out of his chair, and shot grandpa with a glare.

"Do you now?" Kagome asked, laughter in her tone. "Does she have a name?"

"I don't have a crush, and her name is none of your business," Sota replied, busying himself with eating.

"How have your travels been?" their mom asked, changing the subject. She too eyed grandpa with a disapproving glare.

"They've been great! I've seen so many beautiful places, and met all kinds of people. I've learned about their local herbs and how they use them for medicinal purposes. It really is amazing how many things can be done with what the earth provides. And sometimes you can us the roots of some flowers, but the flowers themselves are poisonous. I've also learned how to identify flowers and herbs that look similar to each other. It's actually all quite interesting."

"Sounds boring to me," Sota put in, his mouth full of egg.

"Anyway," Kagome said, waving away Sota's impute, Hojo and I are talking about going to Australia someday. Maybe even America, but that's years away. I think he's going to accept his father's proposal to work on becoming a partner in his law firm."

"That will keep you close to home then?" Her mother sounded hopeful.

Kagome forced a smile. "Yes, it would." It wasn't that she didn't love her family, and she miss them dearly when she was gone, but being here? So close to the well, and that stupid scarred tree, she couldn't help but think about her travels when she was younger, and the people it involved.

"Oh that's great sweetie! It'll be nice that you can be home more. Now all we have to do is get that man of yours to propose."

"You'd think he would have done so already," Sota put in. "He's loved you for like, forever." he said the last bit dramatically.

"He will do it when he's ready," Kagome said with a little more heat then she meant. "I mean, I'm not in a hurry."

No one said anything for a moment as the room filled with an awkward atmosphere.

"So, Eri is getting married. That's exciting," Grandpa said, breaking the silence.

"Yeah, She's so happy, and thank you guys for letting her have it here. She's excited to have enough room to invite more people." Kagome chuckled. "She likes being center of attention."

"That she does." Her mom replied. "And you should see the dress she chose! I swear it must of cost her a fortune."

"She's asked me to be a bridesmaid. Told me her mom isn't thrilled about her untraditional wedding."

"Well, it isn't her day, is it? Besides she's still being supportive. And that's all that matters."

Kagome looked down at her plate as her thoughts unfortunately shifted to Inuyasha. What kind of wedding would they have had if he'd decided to marry her? Was there traditions at that time? Did demons have their own? She shook him from her thoughts. No, he wasn't welcome there anymore. She didn't care what her therapist said. He was in the past, literally, and that's where she was going to keep him.


 

 

Sango walked outside, spotting Miroku out in the fields. He stood there looking off into the distance as the sun began to sink below the hills. She knew it was always bitter sweet when they came back to Kaede's village for dinner on the anniversary of Inuyasha's death. She stood there watching him for a minute or two before joining him. "Dinner is ready," she told him, as she wrapped her arms around him.

"Thank you," he replied, his voice dull.

"You still blame yourself, don't you?"

Miroku looked away in shame. "It was me who insisted we go in blind. I was full of rage and fear when he had you."

"Like Inuyasha has never entered a battle in haste?"

"We had a plan. We knew the stakes were higher then ever. I should have stuck to the plan. But he took you, and I lost sight of reason. Inuyasha went in unprepared because he had to save me. Now he's gone!"

Sango held him closer. "He wouldn't blame you, Miroku. He's made the same choice a few times."

"But it never cost anyone their lives."

"No, but it could have. It was war, Miroku. Every one of use knew that any day could be our last. We knew it. So stop taking blame. If anyone is to blame it's Naraku!"

Miroku looked at her, her fierce eyes seemed out of place on her beautiful face. She was ever the marvel, and always his sanity. "I'm sorry, my love. This day is harder than most. I do blame Naraku, but unfortunately Inuyasha took Naraku to the grave with him. I couldn't avenge his death."

Sango took his hand, and led him back to the feast. Shippo and Kaede were already settled around the feast, waiting for them to join.

"No more long faces," Kaede said, as they sat. "This is the day we celebrate Inuyasha's life. Not mourn his death."

"She's right," Shippo put in. "If he were hear he'd say, get over yourselves. Stop with all the tears and move on! This crying at is getting pathetic."

Everyone laughed. "Great impression you have there, Shippo," Miroku applauded.

"It's nothing," Shippo replied, happy with himself. He enjoyed having the two back. He missed them when they were on their travels, and wished they wouldn't make him stay behind. He was strong enough to fight. Soon enough he would be big enough to fight too. He went through a growth spirt last year, and was now taller and older. He wasn't a little kid anymore!

"Do you guys have to go tomorrow?" Shippo asked as they all ate.

"No, we will stay for a week or so I think. We could both use the rest." Sango replied. She was feeling rather tired as of late.

"Can I go when you leave?"

"You asked the same question ever year, Shippo." Miroku replied.

"I'm older now if you haven't noticed!"

"Shippo, why do you want to put yourself in harm's way?" Sango asked, reaching over to take his hand, but he leaped up.

"Because you guys are my family, and I hate feeling abandoned, and left behind! I can handle myself now!" he stalked off, leaving the others bewildered.

"I didn't realize he felt that way. I knew he didn't like being left behind, but I didn't know he felt so strongly about it." Sango commented. She went to eat a piece of fish, but thought better of it. She would stick to the bread.

"He's grown up quite a bit these past few years. He's lost a lot. He misses Inuyasha and is angry that Kagome has abandoned him. The two people he feels the safest with leave him for months at a time."

"I will have to reassure him that we do not mean for him to feel this way." Miroku excused himself to go after Shippo.

"So, how are you feeling?" Kaede asked, Sango now that they were finally alone.

"Better now that we've had better rest. I've been under the weather." She went for yet another roll. "Hungry too."

"Anything you wish to tell anyone?" Kaede asked.

Sango stopped mid bite. Did she know? She put the roll down slowly. "Well, I suspect I know what could be the cause of my symptoms."

"I thought so. Have you bled?"

Sango shook her head. "No. And I don't think I will anytime soon."

"Kaede stood up, smiling down at the terrified Sango. "How about we determine one way or the other?"

Sango nodded and followed Kaede to the other room. "If I am, do you mind not saying anything? I need to be the one to tell Miroku."

"Never you mind. I will not say a word. Though I imagine Miroku will be quite pleased."

Sago smiled. "I think he will be, but I'm afraid it will scare him a little as well. He's so protective. Having a pregnant wife traveling on dangerous missions won't sit well with him."

"Do they sit well with you?"

Sango didn't answer that because it didn't sit well with her, but she didn't want Miroku out there on his own either.

"You are indeed with child." Kaede said once she finished the examination.

Sango nodded as she sat up, and redressed. She felt shock, though she was already certain that she was. It wasn't that she didn't want a child. Miroku certainly did. But now? When things seemed to be a mess, and they were desperately trying to gather the jewel shard, it was just bad timing. She knew that Miroku was likely to ask her to stay behind. Part of her agreed. The other part already resented Miroku for even asking.

Shippo threw a pebble into the lake, ignoring the approaching Miroku. He wasn't interested in talking. He just wanted to feel useful!

"Hey," Miroku said, as he sat next to Shippo. "Listen…."

"Yeah, yeah. I know already. You guys love me and want to protect me, therefore I need to stay behind so that nothing bad happens to me."

Miroku laughed a little. "You forgot to add the part where I say that maybe in a year you can start coming on the road with us, and that we will always come back to you."

Shippo's anger deflated some. "My dad never came back. Or my mom."

"They would have if they could have. No one in their right mind would leave you out of choice."

"Kagome did." Tears stung Shippo's eyes, but he refused to let them fall.

Miroku took a moment to organize his thoughts. He too was upset that she left them all the way she did, yet he couldn't blame her either. Inuyasha had been unfair to her, and she'd had enough. So she went back to her own time. When she had made it clear she wasn't coming back, Inuyasha went to her time to retrieve the shards, leaving her no way of getting back to this time.

"She didn't leave you, Shippo. She just couldn't stay here. She was hurting."

Shippo sighed. "I know, but that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt. She never even said goodbye. I mean, not really. She left without telling us she wasn't coming back."

"She probably wasn't sure yet whether or not she was."

Shippo nodded. Miroku was right of course, but he still felt abandoned by her. "Do you think she thinks about us? Misses us?"

Miroku nodded. "I'm positive she does. She probably wishes she had a way to get back. But she's safer in her time."

Shippo agreed as he threw another pebble in the lake. "Inuyasha left me too."

Miroku nodded. "Yes, but not willingly."

"Do you think he ever actually liked me? I think he believed me to be nothing but a pain."

Miroku laughed now as memories played through his mind. "Yes, you can be a pain, and he thought you to be an extra annoyance, but you were his pain. You are our pain. We are family shippo. Nothing will ever change that. Not Kagome's leaving our Inuyasha dying. They are still in our hearts."

"I used to travel with you guys." Shippo put in. It was one last attempt to get his way.

"Yes, and we used to have Inuyasha then too. Please understand that it's not that we don't want you or your company. We just need to know you are safe. Also, Kaede has benefited from having you around."

Shippo sighed. "Yeah, I know."

"There you guys are," Sango said as she joined them.

"You okay?" Miroku asked, as he gathered her to him, kidding her cheek.

"Yes," she replied lightly, leaning her back against his chest, and looking at the beautiful night sky. Millions of stars painted it, the beauty of it was one thing she always forgot to really appreciate. Kagome once told her that in her time there were so many lights that you couldn't see this many stars. That was hard to imagine.

They sat there, watching Shippo try to skip the pebbles into the lake. It was nice that every now and again things felt normal, and it was always so short lived, they all tried hard to not let the good times pass them by. And while this night was tainted by lost friends, it was made brighter because they still had each other.

….

I hope you all enjoyed the chapter. Reviews and comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks :D