Actions

Work Header

Heart of an Oracle

Chapter 5

Summary:

Lucy is stressed on many fronts and has to attend a huge function with her mistress. All while doing her best to not lose it when her 'stalker' gets bold. Byakuya has even his limits and is curious about his sister's servant who is more skilled than they were all told.

Notes:

Disclaimer: I do not own Fairy Tail or its characters; that right belongs to Hiro Mashima. 

Author's Note: I am fudging some details in this chapter as none of the wiki's stated when Koga Kuchiki's Birthday was. And I want to get this chapter out of the way sooner than later. So if you do not like that, I politely ask you to turn around and leave now because I don't see the point in you wasting your time and mine.

Chapter Text

Year 832, Month October, 6th

 

Lucy stayed silent, slowing her breathing as she moved around behind all the hustle and bustle. The past two days had been completely chaotic, and she (like every other servant in the house) had been scripted into doing extra chores. Today was the Heir of the Kuchiki House's Birthday. And with the guests already arriving, she was no longer needed to set up and clean. 

 

A part of Lucy was silently thankful as she made it to the eastern wing and made her way to Rukia's room. Lucy knew her mistress was not amused about the amount of fuss going into throwing the celebration for her eldest brother. Nor, Lucy knew, was Rukia amused about having to dress appropriately for it either. But Ginrei had put his foot down and hadn't budged. Even threatened to beat her if she didn't stop acting so childishly. Lucy understood and sympathized with her mistress and friend. 

 

Sighing as she heard loud mumbling from the other side of the shogi door. Lucy schooled her face to a blank mask and slid the door open with a loud clack giving her head a small shake. When all eyes turned to look in her direction, silence falling like a heavy mantle, Lucy arched an eyebrow at the maids that were in the room. The dark looks she got as she stepped aside and waited. All that mattered was the grateful look on Rukia's face as the small mini squad filed out.

 

Once the last one was out, Lucy stepped in and slid the shogi door shut gently, and turned to look at Rukia. The poor girl looked flustered and ready to cry. 

 

"Thank you, Lucy." 

 

Letting a small smile appear, Lucy walked over to her mistress, her eyes taking in the mess of clothing all over the room. It would take hours to sort, fold, press, and put it all away. And she was sure that it was done intentionally, as Ginrei had already picked out the formal fall Kimono Rukia was to wear. This was just plain spite from the others since Koga had taken an interest. In fact, Lucy was sure, some of them had pleaded to take her away from her duties full time to help with preparations. 

 

"Sorry about the disaster; they just descended upon me like a pack of Kamaitachi. I swear I told them that there was no need to try on anything but what Grandfather had given me to wear." 

 

The look of pain and frustration in Rukia's eyes had Lucy reaching into her Yukata sleeve and pulling out a handkerchief. Offering it to Rukia, who snagged it and dabbed at her eyes. 

 

"Let us get you ready, and I will clean this up after Byakuya escorts you to the dinner, Lady Rukia." 

 

The look of shock and gratitude she got had Lucy smiling widely. The quick bob of Rukia's head as she turned and made her way to the futon in the western corner. Lucy followed behind as she watched as she opened the box only to hold her breath. Before her eyes was a beautiful Black Silk Kimono, with hand-stitched gold and bronze leaves, with silver cranes with red clan symbols added to the eyes, it was gorgeous, and the colors were the perfect compliment to Rukia's complexion. 

 

"You will look beautiful, Rukia. And since it is silk and seems your Grandfather reduced the layers you have to wear under it," Lucy said softly at the look she got from Rukia. "Now, let us get you dressed." 

 

00000

 

Lucy shifted nervously as she kept looking around the banquet hall. After learning that she was not allowed to go back to Rukia's room and clean, she had taken to staying out of sight. No, Lucy had to stay there and attend to her mistress. And to make it all fan-fucking-tastic, Koga had demanded she also serves him his wine. Lucy thought she had patience after living with Sarah after her mother and father passed. But nope, that man kept putting his hand on her hip, butt and brushing his arm against her chest when she poured. 

 

Taking a few steps, Lucy met Rukia's eyes as the girl bent to talk to her Grandfather, who had noticed this behavior. Lucy was glad that Lord Kuchiki had that talk with her in the carriage on the way to the manor. He was well aware of what his grandson and Heir was doing and was annoyed. Darting her eyes around the banquet hall again, Lucy spotted Koga surrounded by several of the younger Noble Ladies, hoping to make a match. But she personally didn't think the man knew the meaning of monogamy at all. Those poor souls. 

 

When her eyes moved on before Koga had a random chance to spot her, Lucy ducked behind a pillar and looked towards the head of the table again. Rukia and Lord Kuchiki had been joined by Byakuya, who was clearly displeased about something? What Lucy couldn't fathom. The man was a mystery to her, even after extending that boon to her, which she hadn't had a chance to take yet. 

 

When Rukia seemed to lift her head and look around, Lucy stepped out from behind the pillar. When Lucy took a breath and exhaled, their eyes met, and Rukia nodded her head that she could leave. Feeling her lips twitch to smile, Lucy looked at Ginrei to see him, and Byakuya was looking at her. Giving a quick bow of her head, Lucy turned and quickly weaved her way to the servant's entrance to the room. She wanted to take no chance of Koga getting a hold of her. That or the other servants who were directly under Koga. They'd try to bring her to him again like they'd been ordered to. 

 

Once in the hall, Lucy didn't even hesitate before breaking out into a full run. All she wanted was to get back to Rukia's room and relax by cleaning. Times like this made her wish to be back in the village under Sarah's rule, before shoving that aside since Lucy knew she had a good deal here, even if it was under false reasons.


 

He was not amused at all. In fact, he was rather embarrassed about what he had just done. It was shameful even to help a servant make and escape from their duties. Yet Byakuya could not deny that his brother was acting like a fool, even if it was his party to celebrate the day of his birth. The way he was openly favoring a servant and touching her before all the guests who had come. It was improper and would set the rumor mill to working. 

 

Though, Byakuya was also at his limit with staying in the hall. Dinner was finished, and now it was time to mingle. He did not need to wait and have hopeful lower Nobels come and try to impose their obnoxious daughters off on him. He had married the love of his life, Hisana, and she had passed away a few years ago due to sickness and childbirth. The child had passed with her. And that wound was still raw. Yet, the damn vultures didn't seem to understand that at all. 

 

No, his honorable clan, with its long history of serving each Emperor, drew those in droves. And it wasn't just the lower Clans or Noble families either. The other three Nobel Clans and houses often tried to marry into the Kuchiki and distant relatives or bastard children. That alone left a bad taste in his mouth. 

 

"Brother?" 

 

Shifting his gaze from Koga, who had just sent off one of his servants, no doubt to find Lucy, to Rukia. The look of worry on her face as she stared up at him. He was amazed at how good she looked in her formal Kimono. It reminded him of Hisana, the way her hair was piled up on her head, with the red, black, and gold lacquered ornamental chopsticks held it all in place. Byakuya would give Lucy praise for her skills. Even the make-up on his sister's face was done perfectly. It was not heavy but accentuated what was already there, drawing out Rukia's best feature, her eyes. 

 

"Yes?" 

 

"Would you do me a favor, please?" 

 

Her voice trembled as she spoke, which was odd for Rukia. While he didn't agree with her tomboyish acts, Byakuya was proud that she was strong-willed and capable, never afraid to state her opinion. So, he felt a bit put off at her being uncertain. 

 

"If it is within my abilities, you know I will help you, Rukia," he said softly, trying to ease her and determine why she was acting like this. 

 

"Can you please check on Lucy? It gives you a reason to leave, and away from those demons in female flesh," Rukia stated bluntly, her tone shifting to irritation. "Besides, I had a whole slew of our female servants descend upon my room before the banquet. They didn't listen to me when I told them my Grandfather had prepared my outfit and threw a lot of my clothes all over the room for Lucy to clean water." 

 

Arching an eyebrow at the lack of etiquette his sister used when talking about her hand-maid, Byakuya was happy that Rukia cared about her servant. Lucy had done a lot to help Rukia; he had found out, get better at her lessons, and improve her decorum. It made him curious about Lucy since she was supposed to be from a village that was at the Southern Coast, even if she was the daughter of the former leader of the Hayato. 

 

"Of course, and thank you, Rukia." 

 

Once those words were spoken, Byakuya rose and gave his Grandfather a nod, and left. When he was approached, he gave a withering look sending whoever it was scurrying away, since he was famous for being cold and angry all the time, though it never got physical. He would head to Rukia's private rooms; first, check-in on Lucy, see how much of the room was cleaned, and then go to his own with the said girl in tow back to his room. 

 

Byakuya figured it would be good to practice his calligraphy and watch Lucy and see how she reacted to sitting in silence, doing nothing for hours. One thing he prided himself on was observing and planning things out. And something told him that with all that this girl did for Rukia, there was much more to her than appeared. That she had a secret or two, she was hiding from the family. 

 

TBC!

 

The Next chapter to update is His Brother; Blood & Magic .