Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 3 of Heroes
Stats:
Published:
2019-11-09
Completed:
2019-12-14
Words:
125,755
Chapters:
23/23
Comments:
85
Kudos:
197
Bookmarks:
11
Hits:
7,571

Heroes stand united

Summary:

Thanos starts his quest to collect all Infinity Stones to wipe out half of all life. Heroes from Arda, Earth-199999, Earth-1 and Earth-38 must unite to defeat him and his allies once and for all. Sequel to 'Heroes from two worlds' and 'Heroes in Middle-earth.' Part 3 of 'Heroes.'

Notes:

Disclaimer: I do not own J.R.R. Tolkien's Legendarium, Marvel Cinematic Universe, Arrowverse or anything else you may recognize

And here we are, with the third story of the 'Heroes' series. This one is my version of Avengers: Infinity War, except with characters from Tolkien's works and Arrowverse added to make it enjoyable for fans of all three franchises.

Now like 'Heroes in Middle-earth', some stuff in this will be borrowed from Dr. Matthattan's amazing works, mainly his now complete 'Avengers: Dagor Arnediad', so thanks a lot to him for that, but this is still my own thing at the end of the day and a lot of stuff will be my own too.

I was originally going to upload this on 16th but one of my exams are postponed and my brain wouldn't leave it till I at least got this up.

All right. Without further ado. Let's begin.

Chapter 1: Threat to the Cosmos

Summary:

Thanos starts his quest to collect the Infinity Stones and recruits other villains to aid him.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Deep Space

Loki, the God of Mischief, stood in the burning and ruined wreckage of the Statesman, looking around in horror at the dead bodies of the slaughtered Asgardians. He may not be one of them by blood, but he had always been one of them by heart. In spite of his evil deeds, he did care for them. And now he had begun to see he could be better.

"Hear me and rejoice. You have had the privilege of being saved by the Great Titan." One of the beings who had attacked his ship announced as he walked around the bodies, "You may think this is suffering. No. It is salvation. Universal scales tip toward balance because of your sacrifice. Smile. For even in death, you have become Children of Thanos."

The being passed by Loki and walked up to an 8 foot tall figure in a golden armor with a helmet. He was looking the other way but he still inspired a feeling of dread within Loki.

"I know what it's like to lose." The figure, who was none other than Thanos himself began in a deep voice that chilled Loki to his core, "To feel so desperately that you're right...yet to fail, nonetheless."

Thanos turned around and picked up a wounded person who was lying at his feet. It was Thor Odinson, Loki's brother.

"It's frightening. Turns the legs to jelly." He said as he marched to Loki, still holding Thor, "But I ask you, to what end? Dread it, run from it...destiny arrives all the same. And now, it's here. Or should I say...I am."

And then he revealed a gauntlet in his left fist with 6 slots. One of them had a purple, glowing Stone in it. The Power Stone!

"You talk too much." Thor groaned as Thanos sat him on his knees.

Loki would have tried to do something if four other figures were not behind him. One of them was a dark-haired woman with a three-pronged spear. The other was a giant with some kind of hammer. The third was a hooded figure with a glaive in his hand. And the fourth was an old bearded man with long white hair in white, holding a black staff in his hands.

Loki knew about the other three and the one announcing about Thanos. But he did not know who this old man was.

"The Tesseract. Or your brother's head." Thanos said as he put the Gauntlet close to Thor's head, "I assume you have a preference."

"Oh, I do." Loki said bluntly, "Kill away."

Thanos moved the Power Stone to Thor's head and it glowed, striking energy into his head as he screamed in pure agony.

In a few seconds, Loki's resolve shattered, "All right, stop!"

Thanos stopped and moved the Power Stone away from Thor's head who groaned painfully, "We don't have the Tesseract. It was destroyed on Asgard."

Loki then raised his hand regretfully and the Teserract appeared, to Thor's shock.

"You really are the worst brother." Thor said and would have growled if he could.

"I assure you, brother...the sun will shine on us again." Loki assured him as Thanos chuckled.

"Your optimism is misplaced, Asgardian." Thanos said and Loki smiled.

"Well, for one thing, I'm not Asgardian." Loki said, "And for another...we have a Hulk."

With a roar, a huge green beast rushed onto the scene and tackled Thanos away as Loki dropped the Teserract and pushed Thor out of harm's way. It was the Hulk! He bellowed angrily at Thanos in challenge.

Hulk punched Thanos, sending him back before punching him two more times and then elbowed him twice on the shoulders before slamming him into the wall. He then held Thanos in a chokehold.

The huge creature with the hammer moved to help Thanos when the announcer with spindly fingers raised his hand, "Let him have his fun."

Thanos grabbed Hulk's hands and slowly pushed them back before striking his shoulder, staggering him back. Then he blocked Hulk's punch and struck him, staggering him again. He then dodged another and punched his back, throwing him off. Thanos kept blocking Hulk's punches and punched him back several times, smashing him into a pillar. He then kneed Hulk's face before lifting him up and throwing him down.

Thor grabbed a metal pipe and rushed Thanos, hitting his helmet. Thanos was barely affected while the pipe shattered. Thor made to attack again but Thanos kicked him away.

As he tried to get up, the old man pointed his staff at him and said, "Behold! I am Saruman of many colors!"

Thor looked around and saw bright lights surrounding him. He tried to walk further but realized he could walk no further than the lights that the man had conjured. It was a barrier of some sort. He would have shattered it at full power but right now he was too weakened.

Seeing that, Heimdall knew what he had to do.

"Allfathers...let the dark magic flow through me one last...time." He groaned as his eyes changed color. Putting his hand on Hofund, Heimdall used his power and a great beam of white light passed through, lifting up Hulk, transporting him to safety as he light disappeared.

Thanos now moved menacingly towards Heimdall, glaring at him as he took the glaive from his hooded child. Heimdall looked sadly at Thor whose eyes widened in fear.

"That was a mistake." Thanos said and stabbed Heimdall with the glaive, ending his life.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Thor screamed in agony, pained at the loss of one his oldest friends. His grief then gave way to rage.

"You're going to die, for that!" He roared at Thanos.

Saruman and the one with the spindly fingers, who was called Ebony Maw, exchanged a look and Saruman pointed his staff again. The light disappeared for a second as Maw moved his hand and several pieces of metal moved at Thor telekinetically, restraining him as one of the pieces gagged him before the lights surrounded him again.

"You must learn to be silent in the presence of powers greater than yours, boy!" Saruman said condescendingly to him as gestured to Thanos while Thor simply glared.

The hooded child, who was called Corvus Glaive, took back his glaive as Maw picked up the Teserract and bowed before Thanos, "My humble personage...bows before your grandeur."

Thanos took off his helmet, revealing his bald head, and also took off his armor, revealing his huge black vest.

"No other being has ever had the might... nay, the nobility... to wield not one, but two Infinity Stones."

Thanos took the Teserract from Maw who said, "The universe lies within your grasp."

He shattered the Teserract in his hands. The Space Stone was revealed.

Thanos blew away the glass and slowly fit the Space Stone to the Infinity Gauntlet as power ran through him.

"There are two more stones on Earth." Thanos said to his children, the Black Order, after a moment, "Find them, my children, and bring them to me on Titan."

"Father, we will not fail you." The woman with the three-pronged spear, who was called Proxima Midnight, said as she and the other three bowed to him.

"If I might interject." Loki said as all turned to him, "If you're going to Earth, you might want a guide. I do have a bit of experience in that arena."

"If you consider failure experience." Thanos mocked.

"I consider experience experience." Loki said.

"Almighty Thanos... I, Loki, prince of Asgard..." Loki looked at Thor and said, "Odinson..."

He then continued, "The rightful king of Jotunheim... God of mischief... " A dagger materialized in Loki's hand suddenly, hidden from all while Thor watched in concern.

Loki continued, "Do hereby pledge to you... my undying fidelity." He kneeled and bowed before Thanos, taking a deep breath. Then, moving at quick speed with his Asgardian reflexes, he lunged with his dagger, only for Thanos to press his fist as the Space Stone glowed and the blue energy stopped Loki's hand.

"Undying?" Thanos mocked before grabbing Loki's weapon hand and making him drop the dagger, "You should choose your words more carefully."

He lifted Loki by the throat, slowly choking him as Thor watched.

"You... will never be... a God!" Loki wheezed out as his skin color returned to blue. Thanos squeezed his neck and a crack was heard as Loki went limp, his eyes wide and mouth open, blood running down his nose and mouth. "NO!" Thor screamed but the gag muffled him and the light prevented his voice from going out.

Thanos dropped a dead Loki in front of Thor who stared heartbroken.

"No resurrections this time." Thanos said coldly.

Thanos activated the Power Stone and the ship started breaking apart as purple flames, explosions and energy covered it. Thanos then activated the Space Stone and a portal appeared behind them as he walked into it with Saruman and the Black Order, transporting them away instantly.

The metal restraints broke and the light disappeared as Thor crawled towards Loki, not caring about the ship being destroyed around him.

"No…Loki…" He said in grief as he put a hand on Loki's chest and bowed down, sobbing. The Statesman exploded in a purple energy of fire.


Earth-199999

Cisco Ramon awoke with a gasp, horrified by the strange dream he had had. He wondered what that was about as he drank water and sat on the bed, thinking about it. Thor? Hulk? Loki? Were these the same ones Tony, Steve and the others had spoken of?

He knew he could not dismiss this as just a dream due to his powers. He was going to talk to Tony, Rhodes and Pepper about this sometime the next day.


Sanctuary II

Sometime after having sent his Children to Earth, Thanos sat on his throne aboard the Sanctuary II as Saruman stood before him. He had met the fallen Istari a few months ago.

Saruman had escaped Middle-earth itself and had been journeying the Cosmos since in order to find out more about the heroes. And then he had ended up meeting the Mad Titan himself.

Thanos wanted to wipe out half of all life from the Universe to balance the scales. Saruman had only wanted to control all life with his might when he was in Middle-earth. But he believed this way.

Life grew unchecked and took a toll on the resources of the Universe. Resources like the one he had wanted to use in Middle-earth to conquer it. His banishment from the Order and the breaking of his staff had left him bitter of the entire Arda itself now, not just Gandalf. He knew he would not be allowed to return to Valinor either.

But now, under Lord Thanos, he would make more technology with the resources he found and build an empire for himself as well. Thanos had promised he would let him. And perhaps he might overthrow the Valar as well.

But proud people are often hasty to make decisions as well. And Saruman had made one such decision right now.

"My Lord Thanos." Saruman said, kneeling before him, "I have pledged to aid you in your goal of balancing the Universe. However, I feel if the Valar gets wind of your actions, they will try to stop you."

"What do you suggest we do, White Wizard?" Thanos asked him. The Mad Titan had respect for wise people, including those who worked for him.

Saruman looked up at him, "There is one threat that will prevent them from trying to stop you if they believe that threat is coming for them. There is The Great Enemy…"


The Silmaril upon Eärendil's brow shone brightly as he steered the Vingolit across the heavens of Arda. As the magical ship approached the Door of Night, the slayer of Ancalagon was unexpectedly threatened for the first time in millennia.

The fabric of space ripped open above the Vingolit's bow. Eärendil unsheathed his shining blade as an intruder stepped on deck.

"Identify yourself!" Eärendil fearlessly demanded.

The intruder gave a bone-chilling grin.

"I'm Thanos of Titan." He declared before glancing at the Silmaril, "That's a nice gem…"


Valinor

It had been four years since the War of the Ring in Arda. Frodo, Bilbo, Gandalf, Galadriel, Celeborn, Elrond and Shadowfax had sailed to the Undying Lands from the Grey Havens. It was the destiny of the Elves to sail to the Undying Lands. Frodo had sailed to heal the damage from carrying the One Ring and the Witch-King's Morgul blade. Bilbo had been a Ringbearer too for decades so he had been allowed to sail.

Gandalf was originally the Maia known as Olorin and with his mission finished, he was allowed to return to Valinor. As for Shadowfax, he had bonded with the Lord of all Horses and had taken him as well.

However, Gandalf liked his form as an old man too much because he could enjoy drinking and eating that way. So he had stayed in the form of Gandalf and visited Frodo and Bilbo in the Undying Lands at times along with Galadriel, Celeborn and Elrond, who had reunited with his wife Celebrian as well.

Saruman was not the only one who had travelled the Cosmos. When the four heroes had fallen into Middle-earth, Varda had gazed farther into space than she ever had and many more planets, celestial bodies and races had been discovered by them.

Some parts of the wider Universe had been a joy to behold but that also exposed Arda to more threats. The Valar had found out about a previously unknown set of relics known as the 'Infinity Stones', purportedly as old as creation itself, and believed they would pose a greater threat to Arda than The Great Enemy himself.

They had tasked Gandalf with finding out as much about them as possible. He had mastered a powerful spell that allowed him to transport himself to anywhere in the Multiverse. It was the same spell Saruman had used to escape confinement and Arda all together.

Gandalf had found himself on Earth at first, the same one Steve and Natasha had come from, and discovered the Masters of the Mystic Arts in the New York Sanctum when they had summoned him to them on sensing his arrival.

Doctor Strange was the name of the guardian of the New York Sanctum. He, along with his colleague, Wong, had talked with the White Wizard about Arda, which they had not heard of either.

"Well, you learn something new every day." Strange had quipped, "I didn't expect to learn something from Dumbledore though."

Gandalf had been confused by this new name for him. Strange and Wong had agreed to aid him and had decided to count him as an ally against threats, promising to be an ally to Arda as well against threats they faced.

Wong had given him several writings of Agamotto himself about the Infinity Stones and had let him borrow the writings for research.

Gandalf had found out there were six Infinity Stones- Power, Space, Reality, Time, Mind and Soul. Each of them was powerful in its own right but together, they would be devastating.

As he had continued travelling the Cosmos, he had discovered a world known as Xandar where he had found out that a fanatic by the name of 'Ronan' had tried to level the world with the Power Stone a few years ago. And he had found out that two of Ronan's former associates were adopted daughters of a great and terrible warlord from the world of 'Titan.' His name was feared across the galaxy- Thanos!

Thanos and his Black Order (his 'Children') travelled from world to world, killing half of the population. And this wasn't because the Mad Titan wanted to relish his evil reputation. He sincerely believed doing so was the only solution tip the universal scales in balance. Gandalf was someone who cherished individuals and found such thinking arrogant and grotesque.

Thanos' armies were seemingly limitless but based on what he had seen in Agamotto's writings, the Infinity Stones would allow him to wipe out half of the population in an instant. And just like Sauron and the One Ring, Thanos would not stop until all the Infinity Stones were in his possession.

Gandalf smoked his pipe to settle his nerves when there was a bright flash of light within the chambers and it faded instantly to reveal a heavily armored individual with long black hair. It was no less than one of the two Maiar chieftains.

"Lord Eonwe." Gandalf politely acknowledged.

"Forgive my intrusion." He said before relaying his lord's message, "But King Manwe immediately requests your presence."


Gandalf quickly travelled to Máhanaxar where the Valar held their councils. Also known as the Ring of Doom, it consisted of fourteen golden thrones placed in a circle. Gandalf stood in the middle of the circle with staff in hand. Presiding over the council was the King of the Valar, Manwë, with his sceptre of sapphire. To Manwë's right sat Varda, his spouse and queen, whose face radiated the light of the Ilúvatar.

It was a rare council meeting where all the Valar were present. Historically, only matters of the utmost importance had attracted such attendance. Manwë opened the meeting by informing its latest arrival of tragic news. Nienna was weeping, having already heard it. Gandalf needed a few moments to overcome the shock from what he had just heard.

"Eärendil?!" The wizard could not believe it. "Slain by who?"

For Gandalf, the shocks had only just started. Manwë's placid blue eyes belied the grief behind them.

"By Thanos wielding two of the Infinity Stones." The Ruler of Arda stoically replied, "He then claimed the Silmaril, taking it beyond our reach."

Gandalf's jaw dropped. The Star of Eärendil had been a fixture in Arda's night sky for millennia. Its loss was indescribable. But the White Wizard was more at loss at the Valar being able to identify Eärendil's murderer. If Manwë knew about the Mad Titan, why had he not said anything until now?

"How do you know, my king?" Gandalf tried reconciling it with his recent mission.

Shock caused him to overlook the obvious source of Manwë's information.

"Eärendil told me upon entering my halls." Mandos, Doomsman of the Valar, answered, "It could be centuries before his spirit recovers."

The Halls of Mandos was where the spirits of Elves and Men were gathered to await their different fates after death. Rarer because of their immortality, Elven spirits usually spent a period of self-reflection before being reincarnated in Valinor in an identical copy of their original body. Gandalf was not surprised by Mandos's diagnosis in this case. Thanos had attacked the Vingilot suddenly and without warning. Eärendil's spirit was likely more than traumatized from being killed by such a fearsome but unknown dark lord. Gandalf reflected his deceased friend would mostly be remembered as 'The Mariner'. But the wizard had not forgotten Eärendil had also been a beloved father.

"Does Elrond know?" Gandalf was compelled to ask.

The White Wizard was reminded he had been summoned to answer, not ask, questions.

"We wish to discuss other matters first." Manwë told him, "The realm known as Asgard has been destroyed."

Gandalf's jaw dropped on hearing that. He had heard of it from Steve and Natasha as well as of Thor, Loki, Odin and Frigga. It had been a mighty realm from what they had told him. And if it was gone, the Cosmos had even less protection from the Mad Titan than before.

"Which means the threat posed by Thanos is even greater than if it had not been destroyed." Gandalf observed, "Are there any survivors?"

"Thanos has slaughtered half of the Asgardians." Varda said and Nienna wept fresh tears again at the loss of life, "But Thor Odinson lives. The task of rescuing him has been appointed to others."

An enigmatic air hanged over Varda's words. Gandalf's relief was nonetheless palpable.

"Then the Universe may yet survive this." He reflected aloud.

"What do you mean?" Oromë the Huntsman asked.

The Valar might have unexpectedly learned about Thanos. But Gandalf still wagered they did not know much about the Titan's objectives. The White Wizard fast-tracked the delivery of his intended report.

"Most holy Valar." Gandalf respectfully addressed them, "Every strategy and action of Thanos is directed towards achieving his ultimate goal – to halve all sentient life in creation."

Aulë the Smith once stood poised to strike down the Seven Fathers of the Dwarves. The purpose of Thanos's genocide confused him as much as its scale disturbed.

"To what end?" Aulë asked.

Gandalf kept personal feelings in check while explaining, "Thanos thinks the universe's inhabitants, if left unchecked, will multiply and consume all available resources. He believes culling the population is the only way to avert collapse."

Aulë's spouse, Yavanna, was devoted to animal and plant life throughout Arda. Them being treated as resources to be exploited at will was a frequent concern of hers. But, unlike Thanos, she believed sentients could also be responsible stewards.

"And that is why he seeks the Infinity Stones?" Yavanna inferred how the Mad Titan intended to achieve his goal.

"Yes, milady." Gandalf confirmed, "Thanos already has the Power and Space Stones. If he gets the remainder, he'll be able to claim victory with just a snap of his fingers."

The wizard snapped his own to emphasize the point. None of the Valar could recall such a gesture at council. Their queen believed Gandalf was still wisest of the Maiar and should be listened to nonetheless.

"What is your counsel, wise one?" Varda enquired.

The White Wizard began feeling increasingly confident.

"There's hardly any left who can oppose Thanos and his limitless hordes." He outlined the strategic situation, "The Nova Corps is destroyed. Even Asgard has fallen. We're fast running out of allies if we're to save the Free Peoples."

"You argue we should raise the Host of Valinor?" Ulmo picked the subtext.

Gandalf did not envisage them fighting alone against Thanos.

"And stand alongside the Avengers and other heroes from other worlds." Gandalf concluded by speaking their name, "Together we have might and power. Enough to stop Thanos before he gains any more Stones."

The White Wizard was expecting some of the Valar to immediately express their opposition to the proposal. A nervous silence descended on the council instead. Gandalf correctly inferred he was ignorant of something crucial.

"After claiming the Silmaril," Manwë began informing him, "Thanos used the stones to release the Great Enemy."

All present knew who Manwë was referring to. Speaking the name of the said enemy was considered taboo in Valinor.

Mandos dispassionately added, "We do not know how much former strength he's regained either."

The news shocked Gandalf even more than Eärendil's death. The main reason being the escape of the individual in question was thought to signal Arda's own version of Ragnarok.

"Dagor Dagorath." The wizard whispered its name.

"The final battle could be upon us, Olórin." Varda heard him, "And Brother Mandos has prophesied it will be fought on these very plains."

"We have to assume the Black Foe is preparing to attack us." Ulmo spoke another of their enemy's titles, "Sending the Host to fight elsewhere would be a dangerous risk."

"One that could leave us defenseless." Tulkas firmly concluded.

Gandalf's face betrayed no emotion to his petition being rejected. Not sending the Host of Valinor outside the realm was understandable given who had returned. The White Wizard was more unnerved by what the reason implied about the Valar themselves.

They're afraid, Gandalf reflected. Afraid they might be defeated.

Dagor Dagorath was forecast to be unparalleled in its destruction. However, the Valar always felt sure in the knowledge that the forces of light would triumph before creation was made anew into something beyond wondrous. That surety had been brutally torn away from them. For none had prophesied the forces of darkness would include a Titan warlord wielding the Infinity Gauntlet.

"However, there is something else we would like to tell you." Varda said as Gandalf looked up at her, "Curumo has pledged loyalty to the Mad Titan."

While this news wasn't as bad as the Great Enemy being released, it shocked him nonetheless. Curumo was the real name of Saruman before he had sailed to Middle-earth.

"He escaped Middle-earth?" Gandalf asked.

"He crafted a new staff." Aule told him regretfully. Curumo had been a Maia of his like Mairon and both of them had fallen.

"He used the same spell you do to travel the Cosmos and came across the Mad Titan, pledging to aid him in his quest."

Gandalf was troubled by this news as well. This was something no one had anticipated.

"So what do we do?" Gandalf asked.

"The Host of the Valar will not be going to war." Manwë told him, "However, a threat like Thanos cannot be ignored either. We task you with aiding the people of Earth in stopping him. Guide them like you guided the Free Peoples of Middle-earth against Sauron. You are allowed to use whatever way necessary this time."

Gandalf nodded gratefully. While his petition had been rejected, he still had been given sufficient permission.

He soon exited the council as the Valar continued their council in private. The wizard was contemplating the escape from the Void. There was no doubt in his mind that Thanos intended to enlist the escapee's aid. The threat Sauron had posed to Middle-earth was utterly insignificant in comparison to the new one facing Eä. Others in Valinor needed to be told. In a stroke of luck, Gandalf spied a trademark herald of his.

A blue and silver moth came fluttering across the White Wizard's face. Gandalf immediately stopped and gently scooped it into his palm.

"Quietly gather our friends." He whispered in instruction, "Tell them to wait for me at New Bag End."

The moth took flight the moment Gandalf opened his hand. The Wizard resumed walking. He needed all his allies living in Valinor as well as Middle-earth to help in this war. There was no other way.


Sanctuary II

Thanos was alone seated upon his throne aboard the Sanctuary II.

At first, the scientist and warlord in Thanos simply noted Arda's discovery from Saruman. It was a primitive and distant world devoid of strategic value. That was until learning its inhabitants had been aided on an occasion by Earth's motley collection of heroes.

The key intermediary between both worlds was a wizard named 'Gandalf'. More importantly, reports indicated he had formed an alliance with the keeper of the Time Stone. Thanos did not rate Gandalf much of a threat. However, what Saruman had told of him made it clear he could not be ignored either.

Thanos was reluctant to directly attack Valinor. Without more of the Infinity Stones, confronting the Valar in their native realm was risky even for him. Preventing further interference by them and their servants required an indirect approach – such as deceiving them that Arda's final battle was at hand.

It was prophesied that battle would see the return of the Valar's greatest enemy. The Space Stone had allowed Thanos to teleport that enemy from the Void into a holding cell aboard the Sanctuary II. Thanos now used the same Stone to summon him for a private audience. A portal briefly opened like a whiff of cloud. Kneeling before the Titan's throne was Arda's first and most powerful Dark Lord.

Saruman had seen him a few times when he had been Curumo but never in this dark and terrible form he had managed to rebuild. He shuddered before the mighty Dark Lord before him. Even in this state, he radiated dread and power as much as Thanos did. He bowed before the Great Enemy.

"My lord Morgoth." He said, "We meet at last. It is an honor. Your very reputation precedes you."

Morgoth had once been the most beautiful and strongest of the Ainur. Despite originally being one of Valar, Morgoth's boundless pride soon caused him to rebel against their creator. The Valar eventually defeated him at the end of the First Age in a war that sunk the north-western mass of Middle-earth into the sea. They captured Morgoth prior to physically executing and casting him into the Void. Being imprisonment for six millennia in utter nothingness had only intensified the Dark Lord's desire for revenge against his jailors.

The Valar were unsure how much former strength Morgoth had regained. The first thing they would have noticed was a physical shape both new and old. For the Dark Lord had been able to recreate his black-armoured form that had towered above Fingolfin. However, Morgoth's arms were still pinned to his side by Againor, the magic chain that Aulë had specifically crafted to restrain him. Wrapped around the Dark Lord's neck was his iron crown that had been beaten into a collar. It allowed Morgoth to lift his head only slightly. But he could still lift it enough to look upon his liberator for the first time. As well as the one who had spoken to him.

Morgoth's initial feeling was one of contempt. The enthroned creature resembled a discolored half-troll. The Dark Lord's gaze was like a flame that withered with heat and pierced with a deadly cold. And he recognized the one speaking to him as a Maiar. He knew this was Curumo, another disciple of Aule like Mairon who had eventually become Sauron. He did not know why Curumo was working for this half-troll.

Much to Morgoth's chagrin, the half-troll's reaction to his expression was a supercilious smirk.

"I'm Thanos of Titan." He introduced himself, "I know you won't mind me calling you Morgoth."

The Black Foe silently choked with rage at the presumption of this 'Thanos'.

"You're probably wondering how I freed you from the Void let alone the reason why." Thanos continued imperiously.

Morgoth again made no reply. The Mad Titan raised his left arm to display the Infinity Gauntlet.

"Beautiful, aren't they?" He drew Morgoth's attention to the Power and Space Stones.

While curious, the Dark Lord also noticed the Gauntlet had four empty slots. Morgoth spoke with his dread voice for the first time in millennia.

"You're missing some." He pretended to be unimpressed.

Thanos took the opportunity to make his offer, "Help me get the remainder and I'll instantly eliminate half of Arda's population."

Morgoth released a contemptuous laugh that echoed throughout the throne room. Almost any individual would have been frightened by it (Saruman was), Thanos being one of the exceptions.

"You have the power to defeat the Valar?" Morgoth snorted at the possibility any one could do it but him.

His liberator was unruffled. Thanos outstretched his right hand and opened a pocket dimension he had created with the Space Stone. Morgoth instantly ceased laughing. Contained within the dimension was a luminous white jewel. The Dark Lord instantly recognized it as one of the Silmarils. Memories of ages past came flooding back to the Dark Lord.

The great Noldorian Elf, Fëanor, had originally crafted the three jewels of unmatched beauty. Unmatched because each contained some of the original light of the Two Trees. Recognizing their value, Varda hallowed them so that no mortal flesh, hands unclean or anything evil could touch them. Despite his new form, the pain Morgoth suffered when he first touched the jewels still felt just as fresh. How had the Mad Titan avoided similar injury?

"Impossible." Morgoth thought aloud.

He now learned the Infinity Gauntlet was constructed of an impervious metal.

"Plucked straight from Eärendil's brow." Thanos revealed before using the jewel to sweeten his original offer, "Help me get the remaining Infinity Stones and I will give it to you."

Morgoth's haughtiness changed in the face of the Silmaril. He was now like a drowning man who had been thrown a lifeline.

"You will eliminate half the Free Peoples?" Morgoth checked the first promise still applied.

"And more besides." Thanos darkly assured before closing the Silmaril from view. Having been shown the carrot, Morgoth was now told the stick.

"I will balance the universe," Thanos confidently predicted, "You can either be on the right side of the scales or thrown back into the Void."

Morgoth found just the thought of serving others to be utterly repugnant. However, 'cunning' did not even come close to describing his genius for intrigue. That included sensing an opportunity to achieve his ultimate goal.

"I pledge to aid thy quest for the Infinity Stones." Morgoth archaically accepted the Mad Titan's offer, "Thou shalt lead and I will follow."

Thanos was not deceived by the pretence of loyalty. He nonetheless sealed their alliance with a burst of the Power Stone. Morgoth's restraints instantly shattered into a million pieces. He rose from his knees standing to a height of fifteen feet. The shorter Thanos was not intimidated.

"How can I be of service, Lord Thanos?" Morgoth continued to feign humility.

The Mad Titan needed to be sure what his newest ally was capable of.

"You can start by building an army." Thanos replied.

"I will aid you, my Lord, in whatever way you command me to." Saruman said as he bowed to Morgoth. Morgoth released a contemptuous snort but allowed Saruman to come with him.

"And what about your pet?" Thanos then asked him, "Where did you get him?"

"He is an arrogant Man who held a position of power in his world." Morgoth said, having known of other worlds due to that man, "Thaddeus Ross is his name. A human sorcerer dabbling in dark magic banished him to the Void as punishment for his crimes and that is where I met him and turned him into a beast of great strength. If you want an army, he will be a powerful and worthy addition to it."

Thanos smirked before pressing his fist as the Space Stone glowed and another portal opened. A giant, red beast fell out of it. He was at least 8 feet and 2 inches tall.

Thaddeus Ross had been tortured by Morgoth in the Void who had found out a lot about Earth from him, including the Avengers and this 'Hulk' he scorned so much. So with his regained powers, he had tortured and turned him into a beast in the likeness of Hulk, only he was a slave to him instead.

The Red Hulk Morgoth had named him. And his beast of power released a roar of might and anger at being released, his body getting redder due to rising temperature. Normal people would have found it uncomfortable to be so close to him.

The craftsman in Saruman was jealous at how Morgoth had managed to create a beast this powerful. Him cross-breeding Orcs and Goblin-Men to create Uruk-hai paled in comparison.

"A magnificent beast, my Lord." Saruman said respectfully, keeping the jealousy out of his voice.

"Come with me." Morgoth said as him and Saruman walked away together, the Red Hulk following them while Thanos simply watched.

Notes:

And done.

Now of course, Thanos recruiting Morgoth was taken from Dr. Matthattan's 'Avengers: Dagor Arnediad' but I'm also keeping it different from his as here Morgoth will participate in canonical events to spice it all up.

And Saruman is here too as Thanos' servant.

You all would remember that John Constantine had sent Ross to Hell in 'Heroes from two worlds.' According to Robbie Reyes in Agents of SHIELD, all of Hell is one dimension with several access points and because Tolkien's lore exists alongside Marvel lore and DC lore in this, I decided the Void could be where Ross ended up. Morgoth then tortured him into becoming the Red Hulk there and now here he is.

Next chapter, we will get more developments.