Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of Recommencer and More
Collections:
Random_Miraculous_Ladybug_Fics, TastyRadiationCollection, hereBeGems, Miraculous Ladybug (JayPhoenic), The Forest
Stats:
Published:
2019-11-12
Updated:
2023-09-25
Words:
96,348
Chapters:
63/?
Comments:
1,552
Kudos:
4,802
Bookmarks:
882
Hits:
163,896

Recommencer

Summary:

“I think I’m much happier being appreciated by a couple real friends than a thousand fake ones, Mari.” Ashli’s voice carried a teasing tone.

In the distance, Marinette could see Collège Françoise Dupont. Her mind briefly wandered to her old friends, to her transfer, and to how she found herself here, looking out into the distance with her best friend from Rosenhart Academy for the Gifted.

“Yeah.” Marinette agreed. “I think I’m happier that way, too.”

OR:
Marinette transfers schools, and changes for the better.

Currently on hiatus.

 

LINKS
Check out the Recommencer gallery!! Includes character references!!
Check out Side Story: Siren, which explores Adrien’s character arc, troubled past, and akumatization!

Notes:

(See the end of the work for other works inspired by this one.)

Chapter 1: Episode 1; The Restarter, Part 1

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“It’s a new day at a new school, Marinette! Are you ready? Your dad is making sweets to take for lunch, and you’ll be able to start over!” Tikki says cheerfully, coming out of her bed happily as the alarm chirped. “Marinette?” She looked towards the girl’s bed, and found a lump of quivering blankets. Tikki sighed. “Marinette...” She admonished softly.

“I’m scared, Tikki! Everyone at school— my old school—“ Tikki winced, “They all turned on me without a word! What if the people here don’t even pretend to like me! What if they instantly see what an awful mess I am, and hate me immediately, and—“ Tikki quickly dives under the blankets, holding onto Marinette’s face, to ground her and bring her out of her spiral.

“Do you think Luka will let that happen?” Tikki asked. Marinette’s face went pink, and she looked away.

“No...”

“Exactly! Rosenhart is a much smaller school, anyway. And extremely hard to get into. I doubt someone like Lila could lie her way past those complicated application forms.” Tikki reassured. Marinette groaned.

“Don’t remind me of the application process... I can’t believe I had to get so much verification from Uncle Jagged. Still, he did recommend it... I doubt a school that Jagged recommends is a bad one.” Marinette finally starts to reassure herself. She pushes herself out of bed, giving Tikki as much of a hug as she could without hurting the tiny goddess.

“Thanks, Tikki. You’re my best friend.” She says, smiling fondly at her kwami.

“You’re welcome, Marinette! And I’m sure I won’t be the only one, soon enough!” Marinette smiled shyly.

“You think so?” Her eyes glanced to the clock, and she squeaked. “Oh no! I need to hurry and get ready before I’m late!”

Marinette had walked to her new school with Luka, who'd picked her up that day. It wasn't across the street, but it was within walking distance-- about ten minutes, and she could always catch the bus on days with rougher weather. She gazed at the towering main school building, feeling dread bubble in her stomach. Luka squeezed her hand reassuringly, next to her. She looked up at him. “Thanks for everything. I’ll see you at lunch, okay?” She said softly.

“Of course. I can’t wait for you to hear this school’s song.” Luka is gentle as ever, squeezing her hand one last time. They part, as Marinette walks through the courtyard on her way into the main building, where her class will be. The courtyard, converted into a garden, is lined with rosebushes, true to the school’s name, and the legacy of its founder. Since the school’s focus is in academics and art, rather than athletics, the courtyard reflects it, with spaces around it being designed to be the perfect place to study or create. The flowers and roses create a perfect, soothing environment. If there’s one thing Marinette looks forward to, it’s spending free time in this place. She’s so focused on looking around, she doesn’t know she’s walking right towards someone until they collide and crash.

“Gah!” The person says some words that... Marinette’s pretty sure are Finnish curses, and drops the sketchbook they’re holding.

“Ack! I’m so sorry! I wasn’t looking!” Marinette quickly kneels down to help gather the pens dropped, and the person squats as well.

“Ah, no worries. I wasn’t paying any attention either.” Marinette looks up. The person has darker skin, but bleached blonde hair, tied up in a short ponytail, with a headband to keep it back. Their eyes are grey and warm. They crinkle in a smile.

“You’re unfamiliar. First day? I bet the gardens blew you right away!” They gather their book and stand up. They’re wearing white flared jeans and a tight, short-sleeved, green button up. They hold out their hand. “Pens please, Miss?”

Marinette blinked, but handed them back. “Uh, yes! The courtyard is really pretty. And! My name is Marinette. Marinette Dupain-Cheng!” The confidence that this person spoke with caught her a bit off guard. Though maybe, she was a little out of practice with being talked to like what she thought mattered.

They smiled confidently. “Really? Irma will be happy to hear that surname. My name is Aleski Aalto. Please, call me Ale. They and them, if you will. I hope we can get along. I’ve spied your designs in a few magazine articles. As someone concerned with design, I do like to know the up and coming talent. After all, I might one day design the runway that your clothes walk down.” They sent another charming smile to her.

“Oh! You do architecture, then? That’s really interesting, Ale!” The warning bell rung, and Marinette froze. Ale just laughed warmly. “What’s your class? I can get you there.”

“Thank you! It’s classroom seven?” She asks, trying to remember it.

“How lucky! That’s my class.” Ale adjusted their pens and sketchbook, offering a hand. “Come along, then.” Marinette smiled, swept up in their confidence, as she took their hand.

They guided her into the halls, and up the stairs. The outdoor halls on the second floor gave a lovely view of Paris, as Ale led her to a door titled with seven. They opened the door, and gave Marinette another charming smile. Marinette, latching onto their outpour of confidence, smiled back, and let herself be pulled into the classroom.

Notes:

Edit: 3/26/22
Went through and fixed some grammar, spelling, and consistency on early chapters