Actions

Work Header

To Promethea!

Summary:

Fiona has just arrived on Promethea. Her mission? Find Rhys, find Sasha, and try to navigate a planet that isn't hellbent on murdering every person and creature on it's surface.

It can't be as hard as it seems to her. Right?

Notes:

Proofread this, but there might be a few mistakes! Hope everyone likes this so I don't feel like a fool for even thinking of the idea.

Chapter 1: Prologue: Arrival.

Chapter Text

Fiona hadn't realized just how different Promethea was from Pandora until she walked out of the spacecraft. Skyscrapers that seemed to go on forever painted the sky with neon lights, guards wearing Atlas gear protected almost every building, and people walked along the streets without automatically trying to murder each other. It was foreign to Fiona, sure, but she appreciated the change.

Her ship had landed in an open parking lot, with only one Cyclone parked in the far corner. Fiona had stolen this ship from some poor sucker on Pandora unlucky enough to leave it unattended. It was a medium-sized white and black ship with room for about two people at most, although that would probably be overstating it. By the time Fiona walked out her shoulders were cramped and her knees were sore.

When Fiona had walked out, she was immediately greeted with blinding, flashing lights that were enough to knock an armor clad giant off their feet. She was knocked backwards and ended up bumping her head on the side of the ship. The thing that emitted the lights was a gun that was held by an Atlas soldier.

"Sorry about that, ma'am, had to do a security check." The guard had sounded barely apologetic

"Like hell you did, you almost blinded me!" Fiona had snapped back. The guard had tried to help her up, but Fiona had slapped his hand away. He had tried to explain that after the war with Maliwan, Atlas had to check every person that they saw enter into their range to see if they had a record of intergalactic war crimes, or something, but Fiona was having none of it. She had kicked the guard in the shins, stole his gun, and then ran before he even had a chance to retaliate.

"Tell Rhys I'm back!" Fiona had yelled, the guard at the time still on the floor groaning in pain.

Speaking of Rhys, he wasn't even the reason she was here in the first place. Fiona was on Promethea to get her sister.

Fiona and Rhys frequently kept in contact through ECHOs, and so did Fiona and Sasha. Fiona had never visited Promethea, but before Rhys left to build a corporate empire on the planet, he had given her an ECHO device that could send radio frequencies throughout the galaxy, and with Sasha being Rhys's girlfriend, obviously she got one as well. For a few years, it was a good set-up. Rhys always told Fiona about some new business deal, no matter how menial it seemed to her, and sometimes he would even go into excruciating detail about his "extra special boss dealings" (that was his term for meetings). Every single time Fiona would tune him out. Fiona would never tune her sister out, though, keeping her ears open to all the secret going-ons in Atlas. She basically just repeated a lot of what Rhys said, due to her being his second in command and accompanying him to every meeting, but Fiona held on to every word.

One day, however, that changed. Usually Fiona would ECHO her sister at sundown, therefore it would be around the morning on Sasha's end. Sasha hadn't picked up that day, so Fiona ECHOed Rhys. He hadn't picked up either. Fiona didn't panic at first, because they were probably just busy, but she certainly did panic when Rhys sent her a jumbled up ECHO with heavy gunfire in the background drowning out his words. The only things she could hear him say were something along the lines of "Sasha", "Maliwan", "war", and "missing". It immediately set off alarm bells in Fiona's head.

It took a few weeks to actually get her plan together. Fiona was planning on stealing a ship and heading right to Promethea, but she had no idea where Promethea was on this side of the galaxy, how long it would take to get there from Pandora, or whether the ship she would steal would even be able to make the trip. Despite being a vault hunter, she wasn't bathing in riches, so she couldn't afford a ship of her own, nor could she afford one of those fancy maps that directly stated how much of a distance different planets were from Pandora. She had to actually calculate things, and using many means of calculation that would be too much to recount, she figured out that the trip to Promethea would take about a month if your ship was bottom of the barrel garbage.

So, she had stolen a ship, which made the trip to Promethea in a few weeks time. It was like torture for her. Being in a tightly knit space with no human interaction for almost a month makes someone pretty angry, which is exactly what Fiona was when she walked out of her ship. We already saw what happened to the guard, so let's focus our attention on Fiona's present predicament: locating Rhys.

-

Fiona walked along the streets of what she now knew was Lectra City. Apparently this used to be the site of some bandit killing television show, but the host was murdered by a group of Vault Hunters. The city seemed like it had just been power cleaned, which made Fiona assume that it had been a shit show when that TV show was on.

Rhys had mentioned a war, possibly with Maliwan, on the ECHO, but there was no fighting to be found. Sure, a few stray Children of the Vault roamed the streets picking fights, but Fiona just ignored them. Then again, that guard had told Fiona that there was a war, so was it possible that it was over?

Fiona's heart leaped at that possibility. This just made her more determined to figure out where Rhys was and get some answers out of him.

And so, she walked. She made her way out of Lectra City and into the Meridian Metroplex, which seemed to be the main part of the area of Promethea she was on. She continued her trek to find Rhys here, but thirstiness decided to rear its ugly head in while she was trying to find clues. She really, really wanted to find her sister, but she hasn't drunk anything in a few days. She wanted to be alive when seeing Sasha and Rhys after all. So Fiona decided to head to the nearest establishment she could find, spare a few bucks so she wouldn't drop dead, and continue her journey. Luckily, she had spotted a coffee shop earlier, so she turned around and redirected her route there.

It wasn't so much a shop as it was a stand. There was a person working behind the counter along with a robot that looked like it had been dismantled a while ago. He had brown hair, a robotic arm, and an ugly moustache that sat like a dormant dog on his face. It disgusted Fiona, but she decided to quit being feisty and try being a little more friendly.

"Hello, uh, sir," Fiona walked up to him, trying to do her best sickly sweet, innocent voice. "Can I just have some water?"

He seemed distant, looking off into the space behind Fiona instead of directly at her. Fiona cleared her throat.

"Um, sir?" She put a little more force into her voice this time, trying to get him to snap out of whatever it was he was in. It worked, apparently, because he immediately panicked and put a forced smile on his face.

"Oh, ha ha, hi there!" He said, looking at Fiona. "What can I get you?"

"Just a water, please." Fiona's nice voice was faltering, impatience seeping into, and the man could probably tell. He went through the door that was behind him and quickly emerged about ten seconds later with water in a coffee cup. He didn't even put a lid on it. Fiona rolled her eyes, placed a wad of crumpled bills that probably cost more than the water, and took the cup. Fiona chugged the water quickly and slammed it on the desk that separated her and the man. He winced and took the cup.

Fiona was about ready to leave when she noticed something. Something about the man that seemed familiar. She didn't recognize the ugly mustache, but the brown hair, the robot arm, and what she was now noticing as a heterochromic pair of eyes almost made her vomit.

"Rhys?!"