Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2019-11-27
Updated:
2023-02-25
Words:
8,007
Chapters:
8/?
Comments:
105
Kudos:
496
Bookmarks:
64
Hits:
5,351

Your Thoughts

Summary:

Soulmates. He had always wanted one, wished for it when he sat alone in the dark, long forgotten and abandoned. He had heard of the person whose soul was connected to your own, the one person who could love him. Apparently they had soulmarks, marks one had that would show on the other.There were many kinds of soul marks though, sometimes it was names, symbols, even moving or changing marks.

Notes:

Sorry, first ZoSan and IDK what im doing
Hope it's not too bad

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter 1: The Beginning

Chapter Text

Soulmates. He had always wanted one, wished for it when he sat alone in the dark, long forgotten and abandoned. He had heard of the person whose soul was connected to your own, the one person who could love him. He cried himself to sleep every night in that cold place, wishing for the warmth that only a soulmate could bring. 

 

After he escaped, after he nearly starved to death with the old man, he found people who cared about him. He learned everyday even as he was shouted at, beaten, he knew he was loved. This was love. But this was not the love he longed for, the love that he needed to fill that hollow space within himself. His soulmate. 

 

He learned more about them at the Baratie, his curiosity giving way to questions. The sailors laughed and laughed as they boasted about the legends of soulmates. Apparently they had soulmarks, marks one had that would show on the other. He had searched for over an hour in the mirror trying to find any mark on himself that could be the soulmark but found nothing. Though he also realized he had no mark to share either. There were many kinds of soul marks though, sometimes it was names, symbols, even moving or changing marks. 

 

He had also learned that the closer you get to a soulmate, the stronger the connection. The comfort and relief when touching them, the almost telepathic connection to know how the other was feeling. Sensing danger, fear, pain, love, and more. Sanji swooned at the idea, picturing a beautiful woman who belonged only to him. Though he knew there was a chance it wasn’t a woman at all, but he never thought too long on that thought.

 

His soulmark appeared finally appeared when he was almost ten years old, having worked at the barate almost a full year. He looked down at his arm and read the words “No, Kuina can’t be dead. She promised” in a crude green color. Sanji ran to the only bookshelf in the Baratie and pulled out a worn out book about soulmates. He began reading through the different types until he finally found one that fit. 

 

“Thoughts?” he read aloud. According to the book, strong thoughts would be inscribed onto the body of their other half. So this is a thought they had? Kuina? Who is that? Are they dead? Sanji was confused and pitied the words that were on his bare forearm. Feeling his chest tighten for the person on the other end of this thought.



As the years went by, Sanji realised his soulmate didn’t have too many thoughts after that. Not any strong enough to tingle onto his skin and they all involved this Kuina person. Whoever this person was, his soulmate was determined not to forget them or this promise of theirs. Sanji had been studying to be a chef under Zeff and almost always had the words on his arms covered up. He only saw them when he changed or showered and was always intrigued when they finally changed. 

 

Sometimes though, he looked at the words sadly, wondering if they would ever meet. If they would ever love each other or want each other. His head would fill with words his family used to throw at him, his stomach knotting at the thought of his soulmate rejecting him. Those would be long sleepless nights. 

 

He had started to ignore the scribbled letters on his arm as he got older, ten years having gone by without a sign of a soulmate. He didn’t need them anyways, they only cared about Kuina, and Sanji only cared about cooking. Nothing would stop him from finding the All Blue or becoming an incredible chef and he didn’t need a distraction like a soulmate. Plus he had to repay Zeff for everything he has done and been through. This was all he needed. The barate, Zeff, and cooking. He was content. 

 

Until a certain number of events that threw his world for a loop. A few pirates here, more pirates there, a man named Luffy who wanted to become the pirate king, and a crazy fight had him agreeing to be the mans cook. Though Mihawk was a surprise, the green haired man standing up to him and living was even more surprising. Zoro huh? What a crazy guy. He cried as he said goodbye to the barate and Zeff, his heart light as he set out to sea with a boisterous crew. 

 

He fell into a rhythm with the crew, fighting Zoro, kicking Luffy from his kitchen, showering Nami in affection, and secretly spoiling Chopper. He had a habit of rubbing his forearm when he was feeling content nowadays. He didn’t really look at the words that often, he even avoided bathing with the crew so they wouldn’t see the green words. He knew some of the crew had soulmates, Luffy had “Shi no gekai” on his collarbone and Nami had a small blue crown over the words Nefetari. Chopper didn’t have one since animals weren’t born with soulmates. Zoro never mentioned anything about soulmates, wondered if he even had one. Wondered what kind of person could love the moss headed brute. Sanji chuckled trying to imagine someone. 

 

They had all grown on him. His idiot captain who didn’t do much other than fight and eat, the lovely girls who were cunning, the stupid weirdo’s pulling shenanigans, and the brute that Zoro was. He drank like a mad man but never got drunk, he trained almost every waking moment like his life depended on it, and then slept the remainder of the time. Well, when he wasn’t off getting wildly lost at every opportune moment. That made him chuckle. Whoever his soulmate was had a lot to deal with. Stubbornness, strength, alcoholism, chronic napping, bad attitude, mossy hair, and directional insanity. Sanji laughed at how ridiculous the green haired crew member was and as much as they barked and fought, Sanji enjoyed it. 

 

 His life as a pirate just got more and more exciting, Franky, Robin, Brooke, the crew grew and so did his love for them all now. They were truly Nakama. That’s why when he could barely stand, his body aching and screaming, he still stood. He faced Kuma with everything he had, silently apologising to his soulmate as he asked Kuma to take his life. He felt words sear across his arm as his chest filled with fear, but not his own. Next thing he knew he was on the ground, vision going black as Zoro looked resolute. 

 

Pain gripped him like a vice, as his eyes slid open. He didn’t remember being this injured before? Then he remembered. Kuma. Zoro. His breath caught as he stood, eyes searching frantically. NO no no, you idiot! You better be alive! Why was the thought so scary? Did he really hate the thought of the moss head gone? Then he saw the swords lay abandoned on a pile of rubble and his heart stopped. He ran. His mind was numbed by fear he had never experienced, his blood cold as he ignored the protests of his body. He had to find him, had to. He nearly collapsed when he saw the familiar shade of green in his peripherals. He slid down to the man, his body filling with a warm wave of relief until his heart caught in his throat. Blood. There was blood everywhere. 

 

“What...Happened?” Sanji whispered, heart pounding in his ears as his body shook.

 

“Nothing…” Zoro’s voice was hoarse as he spoke and Sanji barely caught him as he collapsed. Sanji shivered as the contact sent a weird feeling through his mind like static electricity. What the fuck was that? He didn’t have time to wonder as he rushed to the rest of the crew, screaming for Chopper. His knees finally buckled as Zoro’s weight was lifted off of him, the weird tingling in his mind finally leaving as his body filled with fatigue. 

 

When he woke, his body was heavy and sore. Slowly sitting up, he began looking around. Blinking, he noticed he was off to the back of a huge room filled with all the island people, partying. Chopper immediately ran over as he looked around, confused.

 

“Sanji! Are you alright?! You just collapsed!” The poor boy had tears in his eyes.

 

“Sorry Chopper,” Sanji said as he patted the young reindeer's head as he tried to remember what had happened, “I was just exhausted, I think.” 

 

Suddenly a thought struck him. Where’s Zoro? “Chopper! Where’s the marimo?!” Sanji sounded desperate, his voice hoarse. 

 

Chopper’s face filled with concern as he pointed to the left of Sanji. His head whipped around to see an unconscious marimo, covered in bandages. He was simultaneously filled with worry and relief as he watched that bandaged chest rise and fall in shallow breaths. He’s alive. This damn idiot. Sanji reached over and gently touched the bandages, only to rip his hand away when the buzzing in his head returned. “What the-” 


Suddenly Zoro was stirring and Sanji stood abruptly. “I am going to cook!” He announced stiffly as he briskly walked away. What the fuck was that?! Why is my heart racing?! It’s just the ugly brute marimo! Sanji got to work cooking, hoping to calm himself down and forget the buzz of electricity in his head.