Actions

Work Header

Urban Legend #85466: Ye Rui really IS a-

Summary:

In which Ye Xiu regains his legendary status albeit with a rather...mythical twist this time around.

or

The Glory Alliance's 10th Halloween event for their 8th Pro Season is being a nuisance and Ye Xiu's reticence backfires rather spectacularly.

Notes:

Thank you so much to madmaenad for letting me write something based off of her work "And I'll Return from the West, with Victory at my Back". Please please go read it if you haven't because it is a /gem/.

 

Well, this was supposed to be for Halloween but uh...whelp, here we are 😅

Just as a reminder, in this AU, Ye Xiu (after various...events) joins Royal Style and goes by the pseudonym of "Ye Rui" and the entire roster of Royal Style (as posted by madmaenad) is as follows:

Captain Tian Sen (Exorcist) - Peaceful Hermit
Vice-captain Shen Wanhe (Spitfire) - Flash Memory
Ren Junchi (Paladin) - Gentle Angel
Chang Jianping (Mechanic) - Starshot
Jia Shiming (Striker) - Wandering Sage
He Weitang (Summoner) - Infinite Night (Season 8 Rookie)
+ Ye Rui/Ye Xiu (Battlemage) - Herald of Autumn

 
Also, the threads aren’t chronologically one after another. They’re developing mostly simultaneously over the course of Ye Xiu’s 7th Season Debut as Royal Style’s Ye Rui and into the 8th Season.

(See the end of the work for other works inspired by this one.)

Chapter 1

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ye Xiu sighed. If there was one thing he disliked about this world's version of Glory, it was how it was so much more commercialized than he first thought.

 

Every time he was faced with the latest strain of merchandise ideas… 

 

 

what right did e-gamers--who wore long sleeve jackets and jogging pants and barely saw the sun--have to advertise whitening lotion? None? Yeah, that's what he thought

  ...he pictured the three faces of Jin Chengyi, Feng Xianjun, and Tao Xuan floating in rotation, like a ghostly carousel of disappointment and reproach for his slowing the Alliance’s growth for two years (and Excellent Era's for eight, apparently). A bittersweet keepsake of his old world; but quite a funny mental image, so he let it slide.

 

Holidays weren't exempt either: Whether  of Chinese or Western origin, any opportunity to keep up with what was trending was latched onto like a shopping mall. And while his old world did have Glory events for things like Halloween and Christmas, his Alliance had at least had the decency to keep those in game.

 

Now though.

 

Now the players were almost as much a commodity as their avatars. Which meant more photoshoots (which were bad enough), more commercials (which took even longer to film), and more guest appearances if the pro's personality was also a selling point (Ye Xiu had no words). Honestly, with the way players were being encouraged to hone their image, Ye Xiu wouldn't think twice if you told him the pro teams were running a talent agency instead. They never took too much time away from practice so as to undermine their game, but it was a fine line. 

 

As it was, popular pros with multiple endorsements had their schedules packed to the brim. Wasting valuable time they could have spent relaxing and increasing the number of things to distract them while playing. It saddened him to admit it, but...the heavier emphasis on equipment and stats covered up a lot of shortcomings in tactics and technique that made players a little more lax. It wasn't that bad...yet. But Ye Xiu knew the equipment disparity problem dividing the top tier, middle tier, and bottom tier teams in his world was going to happen a lot sooner in this one. The beginnings of it had already started when the issue of Herald of Autumn not having enough silver tier equipment had become an emerging topic mid Season 7 as opposed to the struggles of the teams of the Four Guild Alliance mid Season 9 two years later. 

 

Equal exchange indeed , he mused.

 

His only consolation was that he had joined Royal Style. A steady team with steady older fans who just wanted a good fight and weren't interested in the bright shiny trappings of the more popular teams. He was also thankful that none of them were noticeably good looking, and thus, attention grabbing; an earnest opinion that earned eye twitches whenever he expressed his appreciation.

 

"Watch out Old Ye" a voice snickered, bringing him back to the present, "looks you won’t be able to escape this time."

 

Ye Xiu stared blankly at the TV screen. He and the rest of Royal Style’s main roster were currently watching the Glory Alliance's latest advertisement for Glory's 10th Halloween event which was a partner event with the World Wildlife Fund. The way it worked was that there was a list of animals and the public could vote for whichever pro player they believed embodied that animal spirit. Part of the list was comprised of endangered animals endemic to China in order to raise awareness on animal conservation. The rest, with some overlap, were mythical Chinese animals to make things more exciting, and keep with the Halloween theme. Every Glory account had one vote per animal as default, but unlike the All-Stars, extra votes could be obtained by giving gifts (read: donating money). Posters and other special collectibles of the top ranking player-animal combinations would be released on Halloween and a portion of the overall proceeds go to the WWF.

 

Interesting and for a good cause, he had to admit. He just wished that the Alliance PR team had made it a popularity contest of the much more visually appealing avatars and called it a day. But no. In all their wisdom, they decided to make it into some kind of pre-game for the All-Stars.

 

As if having one useless event wasn't bad enough.

 

Photoshoots already took forever; but coordinating the schedules of that many people, and then doing the make-up and styling to outfit them all for a fantasy setting? Just thinking about it gave Ye Xiu the urge to s-

 

Nevermind.

 

Ye Xiu got a toothpick out his pocket and bit down on it, breathing deeply. He couldn't even pretend that he would be able to escape. He had a bafflingly large fan following, only growing larger by the day. This was despite the fact that he was still pretty much a walking media blackout, he didn’t have any of his ridiculous win streaks from before, and neither did he have a dynasty of Championships to his name. He really couldn’t completely understand it, though the Su siblings told him the mystery behind him being new-old-but-gold rookie played a big part. 

 

The pros running themselves ragged actively cultivating their popularity were practically frothing at the mouth at his meteoric rise. 

 

Ye Xiu sighed, gold really did always shine; if only that didn’t make people want to covet it. Running away from thousands of aggro-ed players was so much easier (and fun) than trying to get out of these events. And really, he couldn’t do anything at all. He hadn’t actively encouraged these people to follow him so it's not like he could stop them from doing whatever they wanted now. No use worrying about it then. He'd just carry on as normal and deal with the results when they came out.

 

'In the meantime,’ he thought as he turned and strolled towards the guild room, ‘nothing like a chaotic boss fight with thousands of enraged, bloodthirsty people to soothe the soul’.

 

"Hey!” Ren Junchi shouted after him, causing Ye Xiu to pause and turn. “Don't act like this has nothing to do with you!"

 

"You know," Chang Jianping followed, "you're even higher up in the All-Star rankings than Captain Tian. Your fans are definitely going to get you a spot even if they have to brute force a match for you."

 

Ye Xiu merely waved an uncaring hand in reply and continued strolling away. Unbeknownst to him, the rumor threads striving to untangle the web of mystery surrounding him were reaching a fever pitch. This event would be the last piece of the puzzle to propel him to truly legendary status; of a rather... different nature than what he was used to.

 



----------------o----------------


 

To absolutely no one's surprise, Han Wenqing was unanimously elected to represent the Tiger. There really was no contest. The organizers only sighed in relief that Tyranny fans kept sending extravagant gifts over out of loyalty and some posturing to maintain their image (it was Tyranny after all). Otherwise the lack of competition in the voting polls might have removed it from the top ranks slated for merchandise. Which would have been a disaster for the event seeing as the tiger was one of the principal animals of the list; representing the endangered South China Tiger, the tiger of the Chinese zodiac, and Bái Hǔ, The White Tiger of the West.

 

The rest were basically a mix of reflecting reality and wishful thinking. Some doing in-depth character analysis, others just voting for their favorite player in each of the polls hoping for an in, and others just gunning for appearances with stuff like “#CatSuMucheng or #BunnySuMucheng?” (that thread was later flagged for being inappropriate and disrespectful due to the degenerates posting).

 

Zhang Jiale's case though was an interesting take on the wishful thinking. His fans had gone ahead and voted for him to represent the Peacock; a graceful animal that symbolizes dignity, beauty, and fame. A good match considering his dazzling playstyle and status but the hilarious part was that the peacock was also an activator of luck. A desperate cry for help if you asked Ye Xiu. The comment section looked a temple with all the incense and prayers being offered to Let Zhang Jiale be a lucky god! ( or at least cancel out his terrible luck please please please).

 

The biggest toss up was probably between Su Muqiu and Huang Shaotian for the position of the Monkey (representing the endangered Golden Snub-nosed Monkey, the monkey of the Chinese zodiac, and Sun Wukong, the Monkey King from Journey to the West). The long back and forth between their fan armies had mostly been because of their idea of the monkey as a hyper, funny, friendly, chatty (noisy), clingy sort of animal as normally seen in the cartoons they probably grew up watching. 

 

But one fan posted an in-depth analysis to point out that monkeys, according to Chinese lore and symbolism - especially in the case of Sun Wukong, were known for being clever tricksters. Coming from a biology perspective, they also belonged to the same taxonomy order as humans, (i.e. Primates) with most having the characteristic game-changing addition of opposable thumbs. The increase in dexterity this affords them has set them apart from other animals as the most skilled users of complex tools amongst non-humans. Thus, the fan reasoned, who better embodied that same combination of cleverness, trickery, and an affinity for tools than Su Muqiu?

 

Huang Shaotian, in their opinion was more of a Snake. Yes, he had a very loud personality and bright presence, but when one considered his playstyle, it was a different matter altogether. Troubling Rain might look like a knight in shining armor but Huang Shaotian played like an assassin. 

 

And an assassin moved like a viper.

 

Skulking around in the shadows, sometimes moving silently, sometimes making enough noise to rattle their prey to distraction, and then moving like a lightning strike for the kill? That described the Sword Saint’s playstyle to a T. And if that wasn’t convincing enough, the fan continued, the Snake makes a good pair with the Turtle -

 

(representing the critically endangered Yangtze Giant Softshell Turtle and one of China's most sacred animals; symbolizing wisdom, endurance, wealth, long life, and The Universe. Yu Wenzhou had also been a shoo in for the position )

 

- because only together could they become Xuánwǔ, the Black Warrior of the North. With such a persuasive manifesto of a post, Blue Rain fans could only rue the votes and money they had already spent on fighting over the monkey position and double down on their efforts to keep their boys in the top ranks.

 

Now, while anyone and their grandmother could have guessed that Han Wenqing would be elected as the Tiger, and Yu Wenzhou as the Turtle, nobody - absolutely nobody - could have predicted who would be voted to represent the panda. In a completely unexpected turn of events, China's animal media darling, featured on every kind of souvenir imaginable, beloved by millions, and immortalized as the very face of animal conservation as the World Wildlife Fund's logo was-

 

...Zheng Xuan.

 

Yes.

 

Zheng Xuan.

 

The Alliance was surprised. The media was surprised, The Pro League was surprised. Huang Shaotian was so surprised 20 solid seconds of silence passed before he started his litany of shock, congratulations, and glee. The man himself-

 

"Ho…how…"

 

-was too overwhelmed with disbelief to even complete his catchphrase. Such was the level of stress that he had ascended to. Representing the panda was nothing to joke about. The country recognized them as national treasures.

 

It must be said that this out of the blue burden " windfall" that he was now expected to suffer through " make the most of, Xiao Zheng" started out as a joke, then exploded into a multitude of memes. It went something like this:

 

 

The Giant Panda

 

These precious animals are seen as national treasures and symbols of peace. Because of their black and white pelts and tranquil nature, they are seen to be a physical manifestation of how the balance between yin and yang produces a peaceful and harmonious nature.

If you’ve wondered why pandas only seem to eat bamboo, bamboo, and more bamboo, that’s because they basically subsist on it; comprising 99% of their diet! Unsurprising as their habitats are the evergreen bamboo forests high in the mountains of western China. Now if you’re wondering why the only thing pandas seem to do is eat bamboo that would be because they need to eat a lot of it to get the nutrition they need; 26 to 84 pounds a day in fact! Pandas can spend up to 14 hours eating while the rest of the day is spent sleeping. Due to this, it is unknown by many that pandas are actually excellent swimmers, fast runners, and good at tree climbing!

Though adored by millions worldwide for its peaceful temperament, distinctive black and white coloring, and cuddly looks; the Giant Panda still remains vulnerable with only 1,800 pandas still living in the wild. Habitat loss and slow breeding are...

 

_____________________________________

 

[what I would do to eat for 14 hours a day and then sleep for the rest of it]

 

[mood]

 

[it’s that stress free lifestyle I’ve always wanted]

 

[sign me tf up]

 

[we stan the low energy life]

 


 |Tour Guide: pandas are actually excellent swimmers, fast runners, and good at tree climbing!
 |
 |Panda: mmm
 |
 |Tour Guide: Excellent Swimmers!
 |
 |Panda: mmmnom
 |
 |Tour Guide: Fast runners!
 |
 |Panda: * finishes bamboo stalk. Moves on to the next*
 |
 |Tour Guide: Good at Tree Climbing!
 |
 |Panda: *crrrunch nomnom* dis bamboo is the stuff
 |
 |Tour Guide: if you’re really lucky you might actually get to see it!
 |
 |Panda: hmmm time for my nap
 |
 |Tour Guide: 😭

 

[swim? run? climb? Take care of multiple young? meh too stressful]

 

[ (・o ・)! ]

 

[*gasp* You Said The Thing]

 

[wait what? what Thing?]

 

[Too Stressful (* u *)]

 

[nononono it should be How Stressful!]

 

[Couldn’t help myself: Zheng Xuan as Low Energy Panda.jpg]

 

[Panda Zheng Xuan being bothered by people fawning over him ‘How Stressful’.jpg]

 

[Panda Zheng Xuan ‘geh’.jpg]

 

[Panda Zheng Xuan ‘meh’.jpg]

 

[Lol XD. Zheng Xuan for Panda Representative!]

 

[@GloryAlliance, we’ve started your work for you, you’re welcome. Zheng Xuan for Panda Representative! +1]

 

[Just imagining Zheng Xuan having to deal with all the stress of representing China’s animal media darling and national treasure...Zheng Xuan for Panda Representative! +2

 

[Zheng Xuan, I love you but this is too perfect...sorry....Zheng Xuan for Panda Representative! +3]

|

[sorry, not sorry XD Zheng Xuan for Panda Representative! +53]

|
|

[uhhh guys? is this still a joke? Zheng Xuan for Panda Representative! +1838]

 

[who said it was a joke? Zheng Xuan for Panda Representative! +1841]

|
|

[Look! I just gifted the Panda some bamboo! oh man, what are we doing to our poor boy  Zheng Xuan for Panda Representative! +62872]

 

[Look! I just gifted the Panda some bamboo! we're gonna stress him out 😂  Zheng Xuan for Panda Representative! +62892]

|
|
|

[Look! I just gifted the Panda some bamboo! he can just pretend to sleep and say he’s doing his job. Zheng Xuan for Panda Representative! +875463]

|

[Look! I just gifted the Panda some bamboo! Now I want to send Zheng Xuan some bamboo. Zheng Xuan for Panda Representative! +986487]

 

[Look! I just gifted the Panda some bamboo! Do it! But something small. Zheng Xuan for Panda Representative! +986507]

 

[Look! I just gifted the Panda some bamboo! Bamboo shoots!. Zheng Xuan for Panda Representative! +986527]

|
|

[Look! I just gifted the Panda some bamboo! This is really sad. Us showing our love and support for Zheng Xuan is definitely just going to stress him out...sleep it off bb! Zheng Xuan for Panda Representative! +1039489]

|

[Look! I just gifted the Panda some bamboo! I’m never going to see pandas the same way again. There’s always going to be the subtitle of ‘meh’ or ‘to eat or sleep, that is the question’. Zheng Xuan for Panda Representative! +1039513]

 

[Look! I just gifted the Panda some bamboo! I see you're a person of culture. The panda is of the Shakesbear lineage after all. Zheng Xuan for Panda Representative! +1039533]

|




Finally, we have Ye Xiu who, as expected, wasn’t able to escape. But not even he could have predicted the extent his fans’ theorizing would reach; or how the effects of this one event would last well into the rest of his pro career. His fans would look back on this and marvel at the beauty of all the conspiracies converging with this Halloween event. It was that same feeling as when Ye-shen’s strategies slowly tightened the noose around his prey; and only with hindsight did they wonder how they could have been so blind as to miss the signs. Only this time, it was his turn to be caught in the spiderweb. 

 

Su Muqiu and his brother finally found something they both enjoyed: laughing at his suffering.

 

Well, at least the tails were fluffy.

 




-----------------Sometime after the start of Season 7 of the Glory Professional Alliance----------------

 

[THREAD: That awkward moment when your rookie is the new (co) core of your team AND is the one giving orders but isn't the Captain. 

 

May I present:

 

Exhibit A: Wang Jiexie. Inherits Vaccaria and debuts as ace and Captain of Tiny Herb after Lin Jie retires. Season 3.

 

Exhibit B: Yu Wenzhou and Huang Shaotian. Debuts as the tactician-captain and ace-vice captain after Fang Shijing retires. Yu Wenzhou inherits Swoksaar. Season 4.

 

Exhibit C: Zhou Zekai. Debuts Season 5 with the same class as his captain. Loads of rumors of internal tension and discord within the team. Captain Zhang Yiwei retires after season 6, ZZK replaces him and inherits Cloud Piercer.

 

Exhibit D: Sun Xiang. Debuts as ace and captain of Conquering Clouds. A new team in Season 7.

 

So Ye Rui is in a right fuckin grey area with him debuting as co-core with Tian Sen and apparently as the new shot caller as well. No one's retired, there's no class overlap, Royal Style is not some no-name new team but a former powerhouse , and Tian Sen is an All-Star Captain.  Can anyone give me a team where the ace is not captain or vc? or where the shotcaller is not captain or vc? And what the fuck that means for a player who is BOTH CO-CORE AND SHOTCALLER but NOT CAPTAIN OR VICE-CAPTAIN???? WHAT'S THE PROTOCOL HERE????????]

 

[Daaaaannggg, it's like an awkward af family gathering where the dad brings his hot and young  mistress home and everyone has to Get Along.]

 

[It's even worse. Ye Rui isn't even young and for some gorram reason, neither is he inexperienced. So he's even less likely to give way to the authority of his "seniors". So instead of the hot and young but easily manipulated mistress, we have the Seasoned Other Woman]

 

[Ye Rui, The Other Woman :O]

 

[Who at first we think is going to steal Father away and replace Mother]

 

[But is actually out for revenge for a past slight against both of them!]

 

[And wants to tear everything down until it's only smoke and ashes!]

 

[or or or! Replaces the wife. Husband gets BEDRIDDEN FOR SOME REASON. New woman takes over the family company to "HELP OUT". Husband is out of the picture OR DIES MYSTERIOUSLY]

 

[Seasoned Other Woman drinks some wine while she looks out over the horizon from her penthouse unit; enjoying her victory]

 

[um…]

 

[let's not get carried away here]

 

[Ye Rui seems pretty low key...he doesn't seem like he wants to rock the boat or anything…]

 

[ye. esp if u lk at sm1 lk TH]

 

[that's what you think. give it a few months and you'll see. Shen Wanhe is the most at risk. He's "just" vice captain and he's not an all star]

 

[yeah whatever. either way, it's too soon to tell]



... a few months later…



[DUDES. HOW THE HECK IS YE RUI SO GOOD. Like Royal Style said from the get go that they decided to make him co-core with Captain Tian because they believed in his skill BUT WHO THE HECK WOULD HAVE EXPECTED THIS?????? HE BASICALLY JUGGLED HIS FIRST OPPONENT TO DEATH AND ALL HIS SUCCEEDING 1v1s HAVE BEEN MASTER CLASS]

 

[AND LIKE. HE'S NOT JUST A SHOT CALLER BUT A FULL BLOWN TACTICIAN. MIGHT EVEN BE A MASTER TACTICIAN. WHAT THE FUCK??? ]

 

[Yeah. I take back what I said before about Ye Rui being out to steal VC Shen Wanhe’s position (or even captain Tian’s position) by upstaging them. In-game he’s a right fuckin shameless bastard when he trash talks but I swear, whenever he’s not in the booth it’s like he’s trying to erase himself]

 

[RS should just give him the captaincy or even the vice captaincy. Keeping Tian Sen and Shen Wanhe where they are are like pity consolation prizes to avoid hurt feelings. Its so fuckin awkward and painful please just end it]

 

[Come on, there's more to being captain and vc than that. There's a large emotional quotient to it]

 

[I'm looking for a team captain or vice-captain of professional gamers, not a fuckin babysitter]

 

[Good players aren’t always good leaders]

 

[Not looking for a fuckin Life Coach either]

 

[Well, apparently, there’s no need for alarm at all. The team itself seems to be happy with their arrangement. I mean, 11 matches in and their synergy is just getting better and better. Not just between Tian Sen and YR as dual-core, but the team as a whole. Everyone's upping their game.]

 

[Let’s all take a moment to praise the powers that be that no one in Royal Style is a stuck up prick with a sensitive ego in need of stroking]



------------------o------------------

 

[THREAD: DOES YE RUI WEAR GOLD COLORED CONTACT LENSES??????? 

 

I mean look at these:

 

S7 1/2 rs v seaside post indiv battle.jpg

 

S7 1/2 rs v thunderclap press con.jpg

 

S7 1/2 rs v tyranny prematch greetings.jpg

 

S7 1/2 rs v tiny herb pre group arena.jpg

 

S7 1/2 rs v blue rain post match handshake.jpg

 

S7 1/2 rs v ee post match handshake.jpg

 

I mean, as an pro-gamer, wearing contacts instead of glasses is already a VERY BIG RISK b/c your eyes get dry and irritated which affects your eyesight and COULD COST YOU A MATCH. But not only that but they're COLORED CONTACTS? NOT EVEN JUST FOR MEDICAL PURPOSES BUT FREAKIN GOLD COLORED EXTRA AF CONTACTS????? This just doesn't make sense! I mean Ye Rui barely reveals anything of himself but from what we've seen, he seems to be a really utilitarian kind of guy??? This level of vanity coming from a pro-gamer is just so useless but coming from him of all people it just seems so out of character????????]

 

[i kno wt u mean. he seems lk a no frills just glory kind of guy. maybe is just d light?]

 

[yeah, as much as he trash talks, he’s apparently a workaholic when it comes to glory? His teammates sometimes post about stuff like that. don’t think a person like that would do anything that might cost them a match? think it's just a weird angle. his eyes are brown in other shots]

 

[Yeah it's definitely just the spotlights. His eyes are brown in all the promotional stuff RS has released of him as well as the other shots of him from those same matches. As for his no nonsense attitude (to glory because lol his trashtalk skills for a rookie are off the charts) yeah, you cn see it in his style, its like the pioneer gen of Glory. super straight to the point, nothing flashy. some are even calling it crude but that makes you think of 'unrefined' or even 'primitive'  but with the results he has, there's nothing further from the truth. In fact, it's so refined it's like...it's like...uh...wow I don't even have the words]

 

[I think ^^^ summed it up pretty nicely. #NoFrillsJust Glory]

 

[NoFrillsJust Glory +1]

 

[NoFrillsJust Glory +2]

 

[NoFrillsJust Glory +3]

 

[NoFrillsJust Glory +4]

 

[NoFrillsJust Glory +5]

|
|
|

[NoFrillsJust Glory +my cellphone number]

|

|

[Looooook I got a new pic ❤: Ye Rui Gold Eyes Blazing with Victory.jpg]

 

[❤❤❤❤❤]

 

[💛💛💛💛💛]

 

[💛❤💛❤💛]

 

[💖Ugh say whatever but they're soooooooo prettyyyyyyyyyyy]

 

[I can't stop lookinggg 💘]

 

[Ye Rui's not a good looking guy (not ugly either) but dang those eyeeees 💛✨]

 

[only when he's not busy looking dead inside lol]

 

[lol true XD]

 

[Posting this here for posterity 💛: Ye Rui Gold Eyes Grin]

 

[RARE GEM!!!!💛✨💛✨💛✨💛💘]

 

[I love how this has become an appreciation post instead 💛💛💛✨✨💖🌟]

 

[Lololol guys, some reporter actually went ahead and asked Ye Rui if he wears contacts and Ye Rui just had this: “TF you talkin bout.” look and the reporter was like: um but...your eyes? Sometimes gold? And Ye Rui just waved his hand and said “A trick of the light”]

 

[I think that’s the strongest emotion I’ve actually seen on his face: Insulted At the Idea of Letting Vanity Get In the Way of Victory]

 

[lol when u said "Ye Rui just waved his hand and said 'A trick of the light'" I thought  u meant he did it like the Star War's Obi Wan Kenobi hypnotic hand wave: "These are not the droids you're looking for"]

 

[yeah, cuz that's so convincing X))]

 

[maybe Ye Rui's hypnotic hand wave powers are so high level it looks casual 

(° 0 °)]

 

[lol wat u smokin XD]



------------------o------------------



[THREAD: There’s something off about rookie Ye Rui’s playstyle.

Like I can’t put my finger on it be something feels really weird about it :/]

 

[what tipped you off?]

 

[was it him juggling his first opponent to death with no damage?]

 

[or the subsequent 1v3?]

 

[or the fact that he’s freakin old but sometimes plays with the speed of some teenager]

 

[or the fact that he’s new but nothing in his manner speaks of inexperience?]

 

[or when he’s not destroying you with speed he plays with the apm of someone on the verge of retirement yet so efficiently you hardly notice]

 

[you gotta help us out here op. There’s a lot thats weird here]

 

[THAT^^! Kinda! It’s very similar to Yu Wenzhou's plastyle actually! Except since YWZ plays a warlock we mostly see the effects as a spell appearing almost by magic...uh...you know what I mean. Those times when you don’t see a cast circle so the opponent can’t prepare but they step in a spot and suddenly BAM they’re caught? How YWZ just predicts that they’d be at that location at that time so he doesn’t waste his apm? Its just that with Ye Rui...since he’s a battlemage...or I think it’s him being a melee class...its more...there’s something about the way he moves]

 

[pathing?]

 

[YES! THANK YOU! IT’S HIS PATHING! It’s like super direct! Like uh…]

 

[Like someone catching a ball? Instead of waiting for it to fall into their cupped hands and kind of matching its movement near the end, they pluck it out of the air because like with YWZ, they didn’t need to wait for it to complete its whole path? they just knew it would be at that location, at that time, and went straight for it?]

 

[yeeeeeeeheeeeesssssss thank you so much thats it exactly. That’s the feeling. thank you for putting it into words]

 

[yeah his actions are less of the hacking and slashing

 

and more of the jabbing and stabbing]

 

[the shortest path between A and B is a straight line after all]

 

[unless the extra swing will deal extra damage]

 

[#NoFrillsJustGlory]

 

[so he's as prescient Yu Wenzhou but faster ]

 

[it’s not just about speed there’s the fact that he’s a melee class. it opens up Royal Style's options beyond Blue Rain's focus on Steady Defense, Explosive Counterattack]

 

[so like Wang Jiexie and Xiao Shiqin?]

 

[Somewhat. Though Wang Jiexie is recognized as a Master Tactician, that still mostly applies to him as an individual. That skill of his mostly manifests in a good understanding of his opponents and an excellent grasp of strategy. Tiny Herb's team play however focuses more on battle formations, individual prowess and coordination of skills. Which isn't surprising seeing as their captain himself is so exceptionally technically skilled that he doesn't need to rely on tactics as much as Yu Wenzhou and Xiao Shiqin (and definitely a cleric like Zhang Xinjie). And unlike Xiao Shiqin, Wang jiexi's teammates are mostly seasoned veterans. Though that's probably going to change soon given their age seeing as Fang Shiqian already retired.]

 

[Xiao Shiqin meanwhile is without a doubt the best Mechanic in the League, but his teammates are either less skilled or less seasoned. Thus Thunderclap needs to rely on plans with multiple fail-safes to pick up the slack. The team basically has the attitude of play it smart but play it safe. Enough to keep them on top in mortal realm but not daring enough to storm the heavens.]

 

[okay, then how does Ye Rui compare to Zhang Xinjie? aside from not being a cleric, obviously]

 

[okay, Tyranny has their 2 shotcallers at the extreme ends of the spectrum. Zhang Xinjie is the healer and thus has to hang back and be guarded. Han Wenqing is a fighter class, the most up close and personal you can get. Zhang Xinjie's exacting nature makes him come up with multiple premade plans that are very thorough and very detailed for every occasion. The difference between him and Xiao Shiqin is that he gets it down to the numbers, has a stronger team, and has Han Wenqing.

 

Han Wenqing is important because Zhang Xinjie is inflexible to a well known ridiculous degree. Zhang Xinjie won't take a risk unless he is absolutely sure of all the factors. He'd rather establish a fortified defense and prepare. But that's not always an option. So you need Han Wenqing's flexibility to make snap decisions and aggressiveness to forge ahead no matter what stands in his path.]

 

[ooh nisu anarysis  👍]

 

[#meta #FourMasterTacticians #strategy]

 

[Okay okay lemme just get this straight. Because the way this is shaping up is a little unbelievable.

 

Ye Rui is melee class, so a middle point between a backline player like cleric Zhang Xinjie and a frontline player like striker Han Wenqing.

 

He's shown to have a similar prescience as Yu Wenzhou but is not held back by low apm.

 

I'd like to add that he has also shown the ability to spot, make, and take advantage of obscure openings like Huang Shaotian.

 

Xiao Shiqin, Wang Jiexie, and Ye Rui are all melee fighter-tactician combos but while Ye Rui has displayed a cunning for plans within plans like Xiao Shiqin, he has a stronger team that allows him to be more daring and flexible. Wang Jiexie meanwhile also has a stronger team than Thunderclap and is one of the top 5 gods of Glory. But this has probably caused him to not push the limits on strategy because he has strength to fall back on.

 

Ye Rui, for some reason, is skilled enough to probably enter godhood status in his rookie year but also places heavy emphasis on team coordination. He is continuously displaying a vast well of knowledge of strategy and the flexibility of using both the simplest plans to the most convoluted webs of interweaving strategy; literally whatever applies best. 

 

Is that perhaps the conclusion we have arrived at my dear fellows?

 

Because damn.]

 

[...]

 

[damn]

 

[that's unreal…]

 

[what monster has Royal Style unleashed upon the Alliance…]

 

[We are entering a new era folks. Who knows what the world will look like when it's over]

|
|

|
|

[Okay but IS NO ONE GOING TO COMMENT ON HOW YE RUI USES VANISHING STEP AS A HABIT??? And not just a once per match, pivotal, replay-worthy, Highlight Reel moment but CONSISTENTLY, CONSECUTIVELY, CONTINUOUSLY, AS IF IT’S A MATTER OF COURSE.

LITERALLY NO ONE ELSE DOES THAT.

NOT GOD YU WENZHOU

NOT GOD WANG JIEXI

NO ONE

ITS AS NATURAL TO HIM AS BREATHING

AND JUST

I THOUGHT YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND YOUR OPPONENT REALLY WELL TO DO THAT???????

AS IN  REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY WELL?????

Because you have to consider things like the behavior of their class?

The exact skills available to them at that specific moment?

ALL THE DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS EACH SKILL COULD TAKE THEM

THEIR PERSONAL STYLE, THOUGHT PROCESS, AND HABITS???????

As in its supposed to be one of those moments where everything just slows down and you know - you just know - what your opponent is going to do next?

That magical moment?

The crowd goes wild?

The commentators are screaming?

ISN’T THIS SUPPOSED TO BE A SINGLE, BEAUTIFUL, MAGICAL MOMENT THAT YOU CAN TELL YOUR GRANDKIDS ABOUT?????

AND YET HE CAN DO IT CONTINUOUSLY TO PEOPLE OF ANY CLASS, WHETHER HE KNOWS THEM WELL OR NOT????????]

 

[dude chill. y u mad this is exciting as fuck ]

 

[I just...I know this is amazing... I know it is... but…

 

...just how deep is his understanding of Glory? Of people?]

 

[op same]

 

[same]

 

[it’s amazing but]

 

[but]

 

[terrifying]

 

[+1]

 

[Amazing but Terrifying]

 

[Awesome and terrifying]

 

[I have a new appreciation for those moments when the heavenly beings descend to the mortal realm to help but the people cower in fear. I understand it now]

 

[overwhelming to the point of oppressive]

 

[on top of it all there's the fact that he's 25 years old]

 

[is he even human wtf]

 

[Ye-shen’s prescience has gone from being uncannily like Yu-shen’s, to terrifying, to supernatural ]



------------------o------------------



[2 Bit Weibo Poster: @ Royal Style v I think you guys should feed Ye Rui more...he looks like a stiff breeze could bowl him over…]

15,796 Likes          535 comments 16 shares

 

[Royal Style Ren Junchi v: DO YOU GUYS HAVE ANY IDEA HOW HARD IT IS TO GET THIS WORKAHOLIC TO EAT??????????? ]

 

[Royal Style Ren Junchi v: OF COURSE YOU DON'T ]

 

[Royal Style Ren Junchi v: GET OVER HERE MR. WHO-NEEDS-FOOD-WHEN-I-HAVE-GLORY @ Royal Style Ye Rui v]

 

[Royal Style Ren Junchi v: YOU'RE MAKING US LOOK BAD. NOW THEY THINK WE'RE NOT FEEDING YOU ]

 

[ ❗ I've been noticed!]

 

[congrats on being noticed XD]

 

[lol Ren Junchi mad X))))))))]

 

[Royal Style Tian Sen v: Ren Junchi  😅…]

 

[Royal Style Ye Rui v: I never said that I don't need food as long as I have Glory. I just don't feel hungry when I'm playing Glory]

 

[A REPLY! :O]

 

[RARE POKEMON SPOTTED!]

 

[gotta screen cap this]

 

[hello Ye Rui! I love youuuu!!!!!! 💛💛💛💛💛]

 

[Royal Style Ren Junchi v: THAT'S. THE. SAME. THING. IDIOT.]

 

[#NoFrillsJustGlory]

 

[#NoFoodJustGlory]

 

[#NoFoodJustGlory +1]

 

[#NoFoodJustGlory +2]

 

[#NoFoodJustGlory +3]

 

[#NoFoodJustGlory +4]

 

[#NoFoodJustGlory +5]

 

[Royal Style Ye Rui v: Captain Tian is just as much a workaholic as I am]

 

[oh boy]

 

[Royal Style Ren Junchi v: ARE YOU SERIOUS

 

[i've got popcorn 🍿, who wants?]

 

[me!]

 

[+1!]

 

[Royal Style Ren Junchi v: YOU'RE REALLY GOING THERE]

 

[me please]

 

[+1 pls!]

 

[here 🍿🍿🍿🍿]

 

[Royal Style Ren Junchi v: OF ALL THE PEOPLE]

 

[Royal Style Ren Junchi v: CAPTAIN TIAN IS A FRIGGIN FITNESS BUFF]

 

[Royal Style Ren Junchi v: HE JOGS EVERY MORNING]

 

[Royal Style Ren Junchi v: HE HAS A NUTRITION PLAN FOR HIS MEALS]

 

[Royal Style Ren Junchi v: HE'S TWICE YOUR SIZE AND COULD PROBABLY USE YOU FOR WEIGHT TRAINING]

 

[ooh la la]

 

[yum yum]

 

[Royal Style Ren Junchi v: I TAKE THAT BACK. YOU'RE PROBABLY TOO LIGHT TO BE ANY CHALLENGE]

 

[Royal Style Ye Rui v: Senior Ren, I think you forgot to turn Caps Lock off 😊]

 

[Royal Style Ren Junchi v: ASJLGDIKS]

 

[woah i think he broke him]

 

[omg]

 

[Royal Style Ren Junchi v: You need to eat more, exercise regularly, and get some sun for fucks sake]

 

[wo dat restraint]

 

[Royal Style Ye Rui v: awww Senior Ren, your soft gooey inside is getting exposed. I feel so loved :"> 💛 

 

[Royal Style Ren Junchi v: YOU]

 

[ahhh...dat aggro pull]

 

[YE RUI used TAUNT!]

 

[It’s super effective!.jpg]

 

...

 

[judging by the time elapsed, I think Ren Junchi went to hunt Ye Rui down irl…]

 

[incense]

 

[incense +1]

 

[incense +2]

 

[incense +3]

|
|
|

...

|
|
|

[uh guys? I know we've been laughing about RS trying to mother hen god ye but I think we all saw RS v EE's second match last night and I know we said Ye shen is all NoFrillsJustGlory/NoFoodJustGlory but he looked like he was dying last night. I'm kinda scared :< ]

 

[yeah holy shit he looked like a ghost]

 

[the internet cafe I was in went completely quiet. chills man]

 

[there are a lot of threads of people trying to figure out why god Ye is so amazing at Glory but hasn't entered the Pro Scene earlier and sometimes plays like a slow oldie. the top theory is that he was sick for a really long time and thus had to get used to playing with a weak body then was able to recover so now he's here]

 

[so...this could...maybe be a setback? you think?]

 

[those do happen sometimes. recovery isn't a straight path. you have good days and bad days]

 

[I hope it's a minor one :< ]

 

[I really hope it's not a relapse 😟]

 

[that's worse right? if it comes back? the illness has grown stronger?]

 

[or...isn't there a thing where a long ill person suddenly gets better before…]

 

[STOP STOP STOP]

 

[DON'T SAY IT]

 

[guys come on. these are all just rumours. even his supposed long illness before entering the pro scene is just a theory]

 

[May I remind everyone That Ye Rui played immaculately yesterday and that Royal Style WON their game against Excellent Era]

 

[Maybe that's because he's just used to playing in those conditions]

 

[💔]

 

[CAPTAIN TIAN AND YE RUI THEMSELVES ASSURED THE MEDIA IN THE PRESSCON THAT IT'S JUST A BAD COLD AND THAT THERE'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT]

 

[They could just be putting up a brave front]

 

[ ENOUGH. ]

|
|

...

|
|

[phew, looks like it really was just a bad cold. false alarm false alarm]

 

[he still needs to eat more :[  ]

 

[yes, I think everyone agrees on that at least]

 

[people still die from fevers. especially if they're not very healthy to begin with. RS needs to be strict with him this time :[  ]

 

[yeah Captain Tian said that the team doctor and the nutritionists are overseeing his recovery closely]

 

[ closely ]

 

[we're keeping an eye on you Ye-shen

 ( ﹁ ﹁ ) ~]

 

[YOU BETTER EAT YOUR VEGETABLES (# 〝   ︿ 〞)]

 

[ OR ELSE (  -`д´-)9]

 

[#MobsterNanny]

 

[ohmyglob i tried to picture that and i got Han Wenqing looming over Ye Rui to make sure he ate his vegetables XD]

 

[omg im ded XD]

 

[^^ is dead if HWQ ever finds them]

 

[let's make the Ye Rui Protection Squad real!]

 

 

- Later on, a large percent of Ye Xiu's fanbase would be known as grandma fans. They told him to bundle up when it was cold, gave him alerts for when the flu season was coming up, recommended cough medicines, herbal remedies, healthy food, and always told him to eat more (you're too thin sweetie) . They got along swimmingly with Wang Jiexi's fans who loved to discuss tea and horticulture and were also Beijing based for the most part. Ye Xiu had to admit that it was...nice. Feeling cared for like that. Warm.



------------------o------------------

 

[Professional Transmigrator: reblogged Excellent Era Su Muqiu v's post.

Daaaaaannng Royal Style’s Ye Rui’s moving in some pretty elite circles nowadays 

#RoyalStyle #YeRui #Su Muqiu #GloryProAlliance #OpeningCeremonyAfterParty

 

 

🔁 [Excellent Era Su Muqiu v: reblogged Glory Professional Alliance's post.

Night of fun before getting back into the grind. Get ready to cry losers >:)

 

  • 🔁 [Glory Professional Alliance: Celebrating a successful opening ceremony for the 8th Season of the Glory Professional Alliance! Long Live Glory!

...

[PHOTO: Su Muqiu grinning forcefully while slinging his arms around both the glowering Han Wenqing and the dead-eyed Ye Xiu's shoulders]

Caption: oldies but goodies XD  💖🌟🌟🌟

...

[PHOTO: 4 Master Tacticians & Ye Xiu sitting at a round table discussing stuff. Su Muqiu's blurry double chin grinning face in the foreground]

Caption: Dats my friend :"> ❤💛

 

[PHOTO: 4 Master Tacticians & Ye Xiu still there. Su Muqiu's pouty face in the foreground]

Caption: It's been an hour :<

 

[PHOTO: 4 Master Tacticians & Ye Xiu still there. Su Muqiu face down on the couch in the background.]

Caption: It's been two hours :((

 

  • [Excellent Era Su Mucheng v: poor Gege, so lonely]
  • [Excellent Era Su Muqiu v: Thanks for the pic Mucheng 😂💕]

 

[PHOTO: Su Muqiu pulling Ye Xiu away from the group and arguing with Huang Shaotian]

Caption: staging an intervention. Also: omygaaaaaawd @Blue Rain Huang Shaotian v you already have your own tactician friend. go bother him.]

 

[Blue Rain Huang Shaotian v: Don't be so clingy you old geezer I was promised some PKPK okokok? You already had a whole summer's worth of PKPKPK ALSO WHAT IS THAT ABOUT GETTING READY TO CRY IF ANYONE'S GONNA CRY ITS YOU YOU WASHED UP SIS CON OLD MAN]

 

[Excellent Era Su Muqiu v: Ye Rui agreed to play Glory with ME. NOT with you, you PK maniac. ALSO MUCHENG IS THE BEST AND I'M PROUD SHE'S MY SISTER]

 

[Blue Rain Huang Shaotian v: SELFISH BASTARD YOU RAN LIKE ONE DUNGEON THEN PKPKPKED TILL THE END. I WAS ONLY ABLE TO FIGHT HIS NINJA ALT DO YOU KNOW HOW FRUSTRATING THAT IS WHY THE FUCK DOES HE HAVE A NINJA ALT IN THE FIRST PLACE I WANTED SOME FACE TO FACE BLOOD PUMPING ACTION NOT SOME SKULKING IN THE WOODS @Royal Style Ye Rui v COME FIGHT ME PKPKPKPKPKPKPKPKPK I'LL RESERVE A ROOM FOR US AND EVERYTHING COME ON STOP HIDING YOU OLD MAN]

 

[Excellent Era Su Muqiu v: Jokes on you @Royal Style Ye Rui never checks his weibo :P ]

 

[Blue Rain Huang Shaotian v: HE'S NOT ANSWERING MY DMS I'VE SENT HIM SO MANY MESSAGES AND HE DOESN'T REPLY THERE ISNT EVEN A "SEEN" SO HE'S NOT EVEN OPENING THEM]

 

[Tiny Herb Wang Jiexi v: @Blue Rain Huang Shaotian v your ability to embarrass yourself never ceases to amaze me. Also @Excellent Era Su Muqiu v, we weren't finished with our discussion when you pulled Ye Rui awa ]

 

[Excellent Era Su Muqiu v: Maybe he's avoiding you like what any sensible person does. Also, no one answers your DMs if it reads 99+]

 

[Excellent Era Su Muqiu v: also @Tiny Herb Wang Jiexi v you had two hours. go away]

 

[Blue Rain Huang Shaotian v: YEAH @Tiny Herb Wang Jiexi v THIS DOESNT INVOLVE YOU GO AWAY GO AWAY GO AWAY STOP CREEPING ON EVERY ROOKIE THAT COMES BY]

 

[Tiny Herb Wang Jiexi v: I’m just exchanging pointers. It’s a good opportunity for both sides. Don’t drag people down to your level of idiocy]

 

[Blue Rain Huang Shaotian v: CREEPY OLD MAN WITH A WEIRD LOOK IN HIS EYE ASKS NEW COLLEAGUE IF HE WANTS TO “EXCHANGE POINTERS” IN A PRIVATE ROOM]

 

[Blue Rain Huang Shaotian v: IT NEVER STOPS SOUNDING CREEPY YOU TELL ME STRAIGHT TO MY FACE THAT THAT DOESN’T MAKE YOU SOUND LIKE A CREEPER OH RIGHT YOU CANT BECAUSE ITS CREEPY AS FUCK]

 

[Tiny Herb Wang Jiexi v: Sometimes I wonder if I’m talking to a literal child. 1) I’m only 1 year older than you so you have no right to call me old. 2) I don’t have a weird look in my eye. It’s my eye itself that’s weird]

 

[Blue Rain Huang Shaotian v: THATS WHAT YOU FOCUSED ON ARE YOU FOR REAL THATS HONESTLY NOT EVEN THE MOST ALARMING PART OKAY DO YOU SOMEHOW THINK THAT “MAN ASKS NEW COLLEAGUE IF HE WANTS TO “EXCHANGE POINTERS” IN A PRIVATE ROOM” SOUNDS ANY BETTER HUH????? DO YOU? DO YOU? DO YOU????POLIIIIIICE??????? POLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCE????????????]

 

[Excellent Era Su Muqiu v: Well, I don't know about you guys but I gotta go. I've got a dungeon to run with @Royal Style Ye Rui and 🌼Mumu🌼 😎 ]

 

[Blue Rain Huang Shaotian v: WHAT???!??!?! GET BACK HERE YOU FUCKING DIRTY TWO FACED LYING SHITTY BASTARD WHERE THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU'RE GOING HUUUUHHHH????!?!?!?!??! WHAT DUNGEON???!!!! YOU'RE ONLY THREE PEOPLE INCLUDE ME INCLUDE ME INCLUDE ME INCLUDE MEEEEEEEEE YOU'RE ALL GONNA DIE WITHOUT ME TO SAVE YOUR SORRY OLD ASSES]

 

[Excellent Era Su Mucheng v: Huang Shaotian (◠‿◠✿) ?]

 

[Blue Rain Huang Shaotian v: I would like to clarify that I do not include Su Mucheng, the bright and lovely, in "sorry old asses"]

 

[Excellent Era Su Mucheng v: Glad we cleared that up (◡‿◡✿)]

 

[Excellent Era Su Muqiu v: ok 1: he answers my DMs because I don't abuse it like an idiot like you, 2) he likes me better, and 3) I've got his number 😜 😎]

 

[Blue Rain Huang Shaotian v: OKAY FUCK YOU SU MUQIU YOU SHAMELESS SMUG BASTARD PKPKPKPK ME IF YOU DARE I'LL WIPE THE FLOOR WITH YOUR OLD MUG AND WHEN I WIN YOU HAVE TO TELL OLD YE TO ANSWER HIS DMS]

 

[Tiny Herb Wang Jiexi v: I would like to volunteer as a 5th party member to complete the numbers. If we kick out the noisy one I can also bring a healer]

 

[Blue Rain Huang Shaotian v: OH MY GOD GO AWAY GO AWAY GO AWAYYYYYYYYYY]

 

[Excellent Era Su Mucheng v: Ladies, ladies, please . You're both pretty]

 

[Excellent Era Su Mucheng v: But my brother is the prettiest]

 

[Misty Rain Chu Yunxiu v: wow, and here I was sad thinking I'd missed my daily dose of evening drama 🍿]

 

81654 Likes          682 Comments   176 Shares

 

[uh...wow]

 

[did my harem drama suddenly get a modern Glory AU without me noticing?]

 

[lol Huang Shaotian accusing Wang Jiexi of creeping while he’s off spamming Ye Rui’s DMs]

 

[face to face...blood-pumping action...reserve a room…cough...uhhhh...nothing to see here, nothing to see]

 

[creepy old man with a weird look in his eye...asks a new colleague if he wants to “exchange pointers” in a private room...uh...um...nothing to see here, nothing to see...cough]

 

[lol god Huang and god Wang were ignored XD]

 

[god Su Muqiu is just on the verge of having a dungeon date ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)]

 

[lol it kinda is X)) look at his most recent post:

 

 

SCREENSHOT:

[Excellent Era Su Muqiu v: Ugggghh Mumu’s watching another trashy drama with Chu Yunxiu on her small screen again :(((((((((( I can hear trashy drama sound while fighting smurfs :((((((((]

[Misty Rain Chu Yunxiu v: just think of it as a double date Senior Su]

[Excellent Era Su Muqiu v: Ugh fine . But keep your trashy drama sounds to a minimum. OR WATCH SOMETHING LESS TRASHY. THAT WORKS TOO]

[Excellent Era Su Mucheng v: Watching the trashy one’s are the most fun Gege! we don’t need much brain power to tear it to pieces. better for Glory!]

[Excellent Era Su Muqiu v: lol Old Ye just told us to choose between Glory+Trashy Drama or Glory+Weibo. Not Glory + Trashy Drama + Weibo X))))) Yes Sir, sorry Sir X))))))]

 

[dungeon date complete with “Yes Sir” roleplay]

 

[nothing to see here, nothing to see]

 

[why is this fandom so thirsty]

 

[gods help us]

 

[I'm just surprised that the super inner circle of Glory gods are so comfortable with Ye Rui already. We've had rookie gods before but they've never become that friendly, that fast. They still mostly socialize with people of the same gen]

 

[well if his skill wasn't enough of an in, there's the fact that he's confirmed (childhood?) friends with god Su Muqiu and goddess Su Mucheng. He sometimes appears in their social media posts, case in point ^. One is the only one to have Three Championships to his name and the other is a godly player in her own right. Plus they're the Glory Alliance's media darlings. That's cream of the crop right there.]

 

[Plus apparently he's been playing since Glory's beginning and there aren't many top gods from that generation anymore so they stay close. Su Muqiu and Han Wenqing are the only Season 1 veterans left.]

 

[Also, he's completely shameless]

 

[^ that too]

 

[he probably just waltzes past all the newbie social boundaries]

 

[He called Han Wenqing 'Old Han' within minutes of meeting him. True story]

 

[I can believe that]



------------------o------------------

 

 

[BLOG POST: ACHIEVE GODHOOD STATUS IN GLORY AND BECOME AN IMMORTAL CULTIVATOR!!!!! 🌈

 

I'm just gonna preempt all the Glory cultivation AUs THAT I KNOW ARE COMING and make a list of the cultivation stages.

 

Edit 1: Lol I didn't expect this to become a prompt thread but sure why not. For the people!

Edit 2: Updating this because of the level increase (and all level increases hereafter…)

Edit 3: Updating this because of the Level 50 cap. BYE UNSPECIALIZED.

Edit 4: Updating this because of the Heavenly Domain addition.

Edit 5: Updating this because WE NOW HAVE A PRO LEAGUE WHAT UUUUUUP!

Edit 6: Updating this because Excellent Era went ahead and WON ITS THIRD CHAMPIONSHIP. I GUESS I'M RAISING THE CAP AGAIN.




Sect: Guild. Then the various classes would be the paths to cultivation that each guild specializes in. For example, Blue Brook Sect accepts any promising youth and has vast materials to guide them on whatever cultivation path suits them best, but it specializes in the way of the sword (Swordsmasters) and formations (Warlocks).

 

Qi Refining Stage: 

  • Early Stage: make a Glory Account
  • Middle Stage: choose a class
    • Rogue/Individual Cultivator: someone who's guild-less.
    • Unspecialized are probably those youths with too many spiritual roots or something and wouldn't stick to one path. High chance of going rogue. Whatever, Unspecialized gives me a headache. They'd probably give their sect masters a headache too.
  • Late Stage: Level 50. BYE UNPSECIALIZED. NOT MY HEADACHE ANYMORE. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
  • Peak: Heavenly Domain Challenge

Foundation Building Stage: Heavenly Domain

  • Early Stage: Fresh meat in the Heavenly Domain
  • Middle Stage: Veteran player
  • Late Stage: Guild Elite
  • Peak: Challenger League

Core Formation: Pro Gamer

  • Early Stage: Relegation Zone
  • Middle Stage: Mid Tier team
  • Late Stage: Just outside the Playoffs
  • Peak: Playoffs regulars
  • Bottleneck: Finals regular… Zhang Jiale

Nascent Soul Formation: Won a Championship

 

Immortal Ascension: ESTABLISHED A DYNASTY AND WILL LIVE FOREVER AS LEGENDS LONG PAST RETIREMENT]

 

Posted 10 years ago. Updated 5 years ago.]

|
|
|
|
|

[Posted 6 hours ago.

Ye Rui is that mysterious individual cultivator that shows up at a sect's doors one day and then catapults them to the top ranks of the Immortal Conferences]

 

[Posted 5 hours ago.

Fic prompt: Other sects wonder about Royal Heritage Sect's newest master. He came out of nowhere one day and has shown up to every night hunt since. Suddenly that washed up old sect was gaining ground; fighting the top sects for the best kills and harvests. No one recognized him as a rogue cultivator (they would have weeded him out long ago) and no one knew of any master who had come out of seclusion (he certainly wasn't one of Royal Heritage's). Try as they might, they couldn't find out anything substantial about him no matter how many informants they had inside. All the sect masters, from Sect Head Tian Sen to the famously forthright Master Ren Junchi, were being very tight-lipped. Truly suspicious.

 

It was impossible for such a skilled cultivator to appear out of nowhere, and yet here he was.

 

Of course, there was one place that they hadn't searched.

 

Couldn't search.



The Demon Realm]

 

 

[❗❗❗❗❗❗]

 

[SOMEONE PLEASE ADOPT THIS PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE]

 

[Be the Change You Want To See✨]

 

[TAKE MY MONEY 💴]

 

[💸💸💸💸💸💸💸]

 

[#LetItRain  💰]

 

[I've got a blank check baby, and I'll write your name 💰]

 

[I'M TAGGING EVERYONE. GET IN HERE]

 

[💳]

 

[THE THREAD LIVES AGAIN!]

 

[lol maybe Ye-shen is so thin because he's trying to practice inedia #NoFrillsJustGlory   #NoFoodJustGlory]

 

[Food is life, but Glory is love]

 

[YeRui x Glory, the true OTP]

------------------o------------------



Such was the forum climate of the Ye Rui fandom when the Alliance’s 10th Halloween event rolled in. Thus, when they happened upon the following description…

 

Well.

 

Who could say no to such a perfect set-up?



------------------o------------------

 

 

 

Fox Spirit

 

Trick or treat? Lose yourself to the wiles of beguiling temptation or obtain the favor of a benevolent celestial? In all cases, always be wary of the sly and cunning fox.

 

Be warned, for all we know, they may walk in our midst. For once a fox demon reaches 50 years of life, it gains the ability to transform into a human; able to use sorcery to blend in seamlessly among us; fogging the mind and distorting memory.

 

At a thousand years of age, a nine-tailed fox spirit ascends to heaven and becomes a golden colored, celestial fox, serving in the Palace of the Sun and Moon. However, each golden tail of this divine being is a trophy from a dark, ruthless ritual.

 

The most dangerous time to encounter a fox spirit is when it has lived past a hundred years for thence they gain bewitching beauty and begin their bloody path to immortality; using their charms and sorcery to capture the hearts and minds of potential victims. From then on, their ritual calls for them to eat ten human hearts every hundred years to gain another tail and break through to the next spiritual level. Only nine hundred years and nine tails later may they leave the mortal plane behind and become divine.

 

But this alone is not enough for them to survive, no. To strengthen themselves, fox spirits drain the vital energy of their partners to increase their power. Many are they who lost their hearts to a fox spirit only to be sucked dry by their lover and left to waste away. Jealousy, betrayal, and revenge are ever present in tales of a fox spirit.

 

This is not to say that fox spirits are necessarily evil, only that the price of their power and immortality comes at great human cost. Accounts are also written of foxes who lost their hearts to their lovers and could not bear to drain them of their life force, choosing to slowly wither away instead.

 

In fact, there are many stories of benevolent fox spirits coming to the aid of those in need; usually through financial gifts, elixirs, or sorcery. Such beings could know things at more than a thousand miles’ distance or glimpse into the future; preventing many a tragedy and steering fate. Over the millennia, many have come to worship fox spirits, offering them food and drink to gain their approval and beg for their favor.

 

So the next time you go out, pay attention and you might just spot a fox spirit; eyes shining golden when they've let their guard down and let their true nature show.


_____________________________________

 

[…]

 

[…]

 

[…]

 

[…]

 

[(°      °) !]

 

[Σ(゜゜) !]

 

[Σ(°ロ°) !]

 

[Σ(OロO) !]

 

[I mean]

 

[you seein what Im seein]

 

[yeuhp]

 

[ o h m y g l o b ]

 

[friends, I have seen the light]

 

[SOMEONE BRING OUT THOSE LINKS]

 

[RELEASE THE KRAKEN]

 

[*cracks knuckles* GOTCHU FAM. Give me a few]

 

[“At a thousand years of age, a nine-tailed fox spirit ascends to heaven...

The most dangerous time to encounter a fox spirit is when it has lived past a hundred years for thence begins their bloody path to immortality.”

Link: BLOG POST: ACHIEVE GODHOOD STATUS IN GLORY AND BECOME AN IMMORTAL CULTIVATOR!!!!! 🌈: Glory as a modern method of cultivation and achieving immortality]

 

[ ∑(O_O;) ]

 

[ ∑(O_O;) ]

 

[ ∑(O_O;) ]

 

[ ∑(O_O;) ]

 

["they gain captivating beauty and begin their bloody path to immortality; using their charms and sorcery to steal the hearts and minds of potential victims"

Link: Professional Transmigrator: Daaaaaannng Royal Style’s Ye Rui’s moving in some pretty elite circles nowadays: "I'm just surprised that the super inner circle of Glory gods are so comfortable with Ye Rui already. We've had rookie gods before but they've never become that friendly, that fast"]

 

[ ∑(O_O;)! ]

 

[ ∑(O_O;)! ]

 

[ ∑(O_O;)! ]

 

[ ∑(O_O;)! ]

 

[ ∑(O_O;)! ]

 

[ ∑(O_O;)! ]

 

[ ∑(O_O;)! ]

 

[“To strengthen themselves, fox spirits absorb the vital energy of their partners to increase their power. Many are they who lost their hearts to a fox spirit only to be sucked dry by their lover and left to waste away. Jealousy, betrayal, and revenge are never far in a fox spirit's wake. ”

Link: That awkward moment when your rookie is the new (co) core of your team AND is the one giving orders but isn't the Captain: basically about how Ye Rui was in a prime position to take either Captain Tian or Vice Captain Shen's ranks and drive a wedge into the entire team dynamic. BUT HE DIDN'T

also this: "...Replaces the wife. Husband gets BEDRIDDEN FOR SOME REASON. New woman takes over the family company to "HELP OUT". Husband is out of the picture OR DIES MYSTERIOUSLY..."] 

 

[ ∑(O_O;)!! ]

 

[ ∑(O_O;)!! ]

 

[ ∑(O_O;)!! ]

 

[ ∑(O_O;)!! ]

 

[ ∑(O_O;)!! ]

 

[ ∑(O_O;)!! ]

 

[“Tales are also written of foxes who lost their hearts to their lovers and could not bear to drain them of their life force, choosing to waste away instead...many have come to worship fox spirits, offering them food and drink”

Link: 2 Bit Weibo Poster: @ Royal Style v I think you guys should feed Ye Rui more...he looks like a stiff breeze could bowl him over: Royal Style trying to feed YR, but it still looks like he's not getting the kind of nutrition he needs]

 

[ ∑(O_O;)!!! ]

 

[ ∑(O_O;)!!! ]

 

[ ∑(O_O;)!!! ]

 

[ ∑(O_O;)!!! ]

 

[ ∑(O_O;)!!! ]

 

[ ∑(O_O;)!!! ]

 

["many stories of benevolent fox spirits who secretly helped those in need"

Link: BLOG POST: ACHIEVE GODHOOD STATUS IN GLORY AND BECOME AN IMMORTAL CULTIVATOR!!!!! 🌈: "Ye Rui is that mysterious individual cultivator that shows up at a sect's doors one day and then catapults them to the top ranks of the Immortal Conferences":

"It was impossible for such a skilled cultivator to appear out of nowhere, and yet here he was.

Of course, there was one place that they hadn't searched.

Couldn't search.

The Demon Realm"]

 

[ ∑((O _ O;;))!!! ]

 

[ ∑((O _ O;;))!!! ]

 

[ ∑((O _ O;;))!!! ]

 

[ ∑((O _ O;;))!!! ]

 

[ ∑((O _ O;;))!!! ]

 

[ ∑((O _ O;;))!!! ]

 

[“Such beings could know things at more than a thousand miles’ distance or glimpse into the future”

Link: There’s something off about rookie Ye Rui’s playstyle: "Ye-shen’s prescience has gone from being uncannily like Yu-shen’s, to terrifying, to supernatural" ]

 

[ ∑"((( O  _  O  ;;; )))!!!!!!! ]

 

[ ∑"((( O  _  O  ;;; )))!!!!!!! ]

 

[ ∑"((( O  _  O  ;;; )))!!!!!!! ]

 

[ ∑"((( O  _  O  ;;; )))!!!!!!! ]

 

[ ∑"((( O  _  O  ;;; )))!!!!!!! ]

 

[ ∑"((( O  _  O  ;;; )))!!!!!!! ]

 

[ ∑"((( O  _  O  ;;; )))!!!!!!! ]

 

[“eyes that shine gold when they let their guard down and let their true nature show.”

Link: DOES YE RUI WEAR GOLD COLORED CONTACT LENSES???????: basically the whole post but also: "And Ye Rui just waved his hand and said “A trick of the light”]

 

[💥 ( O    ロ     O      ) 💥]

 

[💥 ( O    ロ     O      ) 💥]

 

[💥 ( O    ロ     O      ) 💥]

 

[💥 ( O    ロ     O      ) 💥]

 

[💥 ( O    ロ     O      ) 💥]

 

[AND SUDDENLY EVERYTHING MAKES SENSE]

 

[YES!!! And somehow not exactly?]

 

[more like God Ye isn’t doing what he needs to survive as a fox spirit and is suffering because of it]

 

[Ye Rui accidentally outed by the alliance lol]

 

["...fox spirit...lived past a hundred years for thence they gain bewitching beauty and begin their bloody path to immortality." Ye Rui isn't pretty]

 

[Not yet]

 

[He's probs not yet a hundred, still a baby]

 

[You have to start cultivating early otherwise you'll be too late]

 

[Oh no, God Ye needs carnal energy to survive, but his only love is Glory. So he can't "feed" the traditional way D: D: D: ]

 

[Maybe Ye-shen is trying the human way of cultivating so he can practice inedia and not need to feed himself the "traditional way"]

 

[yeah, need to get a head start before the urge to SUCK PEOPLE'S VITAL ENERGY AND EAT THEIR HEARTS becomes too strong to ignore]

 

[cultivate to remove yourself from earthly desires]

 

[A less costly path to immortality!]

 

[Less costly to humans for sure. but not to him]

 

[wait waiiiiit the cultivation post was just for AU ideas. nothing really useful for a fox spirit]

 

[There was! That bit hinting that maybe he came from The Demon Realm! But also I guess as a substitute to ***, God Ye feeds off the carnal energy of battle to survive]

 

[oh darn I forgot, censorship, gotta keep it PG. Uhhhh...he feeds on the high of battle and victory rather than the high of...yeah...]

 

[aren't battle gods the only ones who can feed on the highs of battle?]

 

[maybe it's similar enough to fool the senses? The urge to fight, destroy, and l*st are all very aggressive desires. That's why...especially in warfare...they go hand-in-hand]

 

[bloodlust]

 

[:O !]

 

[that actually...makes sense]

 

[Playing Glory in the shadows for all those years must have been barely keeping him alive. When he first joined the Pro League he looked like a stiff breeze would bowl him over :< Good thing Royal Style has been really racking up the wins keeping them in a stable spot vying for the playoffs. God Ye is looking so much healthier now]

 

[When i think of how hard Royal style's been trying to feed Ye Rui…]

 

[Do you mean "feed" or " 💞feed 💕 ]

 

[at this point, who knows]

 

[He could have been the homewrecker of Royal Style and put everyone under his thrall so he could push his weight around but all he wants to do is play Glory and maintain the peace]

 

[Ye Rui has picked Royal Style as his hoomans to protect. Don’t cross him]

 

[“eyes that shine gold when they let their guard down and let their true nature show.”  No one's commented about it yet but it just makes me happy that god ye only let's his guard down when he's happy and victorious 💛]

 

[Does anyone find it weird that we've gone way past the nomination stage and just taken this as something that explains all our theories?]

 

[No one?]

 

[Yeah, neither did I]

 

[Carry on]

 

[wait wait wait don’t forget to nominate him to make it official! Ye Rui for Fox Spirit Representative!]

 

[oh woops, almost forgot. Ye Rui for Fox Spirit Representative! + 1]

 

[kinda got carried away XD. Ye Rui for Fox Spirit Representative! + 2]

 

[we see you Ye-shen 👀 Ye Rui for Fox Spirit Representative! + 3]

 

[but it's okay if you still want to stay hidden Ye Rui for Fox Spirit Representative! + 4]
|
|
|

[Behold! I offer to the Fox Spirit this wine!  Except maybe not alcoholic? b/c thats bad for pro gamers...Ye Rui for Fox Spirit Representative! + 8349]

 

[Behold! I offer to the Fox Spirit this feast! Just stick to the food. Ye Rui for Fox Spirit Representative! + 8449]
|
|
|

[Behold! I offer to the Fox Spirit this feast! Ye-shen needs to eat more! Ye Rui for Fox Spirit Representative! + 13897]

 

[Behold! This humble one offers this simple meal. Man you guys are rich Ye Rui for Fox Spirit Representative! + 13917]

 

[Behold! This humble one offers this simple meal. Whatever is within your capacity to give is always good enough. Taking care of yourself is important too! Ye Rui for Fox Spirit Representative! + 13937]

 

[Behold! I offer to the Fox Spirit this feast! Yeah, we need to set an example for Ye-shen too. Ye Rui for Fox Spirit Representative! +14037 ]

 

[Behold! I offer my heart to the Fox Spirit! ❤ Ye Rui for Fox Spirit Representative! +24037]

 

[Behold! This humble one offers this simple meal. BIG FAN SPOTTED WOAAAAAAAHHHHH Ye Rui for Fox Spirit Representative! + 24057]

 

[Behold! I offer to the Fox Spirit this feast! Woah, paying respects to big fan @Dancing Tree Ye Rui for Fox Spirit Representative! + 24157]

 

[Behold! I offer to the Fox Spirit this feast! That username... Ye Rui for Fox Spirit Representative! + 24257]

 

[Behold! I offer to the Fox Spirit this feast! What about it? Ye Rui for Fox Spirit Representative! + 24357]

 

[Behold! This humble one offers this simple meal. Never mind Ye Rui for Fox Spirit Representative! + 24377]

 

[Behold! I offer my heart to the Fox Spirit! ❤ Ye Rui for Fox Spirit Representative! +34377]

 

[Behold! This humble one offers this simple meal. WHAAAAAAATTTTTTT????? ANOTHER BIG FAN @ RedLeafGoldLeaf Ye Rui for Fox Spirit Representative! + 34397]

 

[Behold! I offer to the Fox Spirit this feast! Okay, these guys are probably legit gone for Ye-shen. Ye Rui for Fox Spirit Representative! + 34497]

 

[Behold! I offer to the Fox Spirit this feast! He already has their hearts, they're just making it official. Ye Rui for Fox Spirit Representative! + 34597]
|
|
|
...

 

---------------o--------------

- Royal Style Guild Headquarters, Beijing -

 

The familiar cadence of Glory keyboard inputs clacked throughout the room. There was a lull in activity as everyone waited for the next scheduled dungeon raid to happen or for a wild boss to appear. Some were doing light exercises, some were napping, some off to snack in the pantry, some just chatting with each other, and others just surfing the net, killing time. A group had gathered around one computer, odd looks on their faces as they furtively glanced back and forth between the screen and Ye Xiu.

 

After much nudging, the one they elected spokesperson loudly cleared her throat. "Uh...Senior Ye…?"

 

"Mmmm?" Ye Xiu always uncovered one ear during lulls like this so they could easily call him.

 

"The results are out for the Halloween event..."

 

"Oh?" Six out of the nine wild bosses that the team needed had already appeared this week. They had managed to get three completely to themselves while for the loot of the fourth had to be split. They had been forced to team up with Team Parade's guild to fight off both Excellent Era AND Tyranny for some fighter class equipment. Faced with something like that, it was better to get some of it rather than none at all.

 

"You got the Fox Spirit. The voting was uh...very uh...spirited..."

 

"Hm"

 

"Senior Ye?"

 

"That's nice," he obviously couldn't care less. Team Royal Style had a problem with double super classes. They had two priest classes (exorcist and paladin), two gunner classes (spitfire and mechanic), and two mage classes (summoner and battlemage). It was an absolute nightmare for harvesting raw materials as every boss' loot had to either be split or captured twice. At least Jia Shiming was a striker. But then, case in point, their previous battle had them facing off against both Excellent Era and Tyranny and that was no walk in the park either...

 

"It’s uh...blowing up quite a bit in the forums...and weibo...and the Glory World chat...you're uh...you’re kinda trending..." Trending was an understatement. He was actively becoming an urban legend right before their very eyes. Even they were starting to think back to all the times when god Ye had just been...slightly off...

 

"That's very interesting..." Ye Xiu trailed off. He was going through dungeon guides and revising them. Making more flexible versions for the less skilled guild members to help them in harvesting so the guild elite could focus on the boss fights. 

 

The group sighed, they'd probably have an easier time talking to the PR department about Ye Rui than talking to Ye Rui about Ye Rui. "It’s kinda as bad as Zheng Xuan’s case...maybe worse..."

 

'"Well I don't doubt that the Alliance will send me an email to- Guild Leader Meng! Gladiator Vitalivis just spawned. We can move up the upgrades on Gentle Angel if we win this. Everyone, back to your computers. I need all the long range, AOE damage dealers at the front paired up with knights and paladins for defense. ETA to location is-"

 

The group quickly dispersed. Senior Ye was probably better off not knowing. And honestly, it's not like it mattered. Absolutely nothing would change. In the mean time, there were wild bosses to hunt.

 

---------------o--------------

 

 

And that is how it became a cult myth that Ye Rui really WAS a benevolent fox-spirit whose only love was Glory and could only feed on the highs of battle and victory to stay healthy. The PR department was ecstatic. Here was a heaven-sent, free-of-charge, fan-approved way to market Ye Rui, The Recluse. Meanwhile, some of the pros were hell bent on fitting innuendos in everything, his teammates were glad it made his fans part of the "Feed Ye Rui Project", Su Muqiu and Ye Qiu were laughing at his suffering, Su Mucheng was in love with all the fan work coming out, and Ye Xiu...

 

Ye Xiu just couldn't wait to get it over with. Hopefully the Alliance was done with stupid projects.

 

This was not one of the times where the universe existed to prove him right.

 

 

 

Fin

Notes:

-This was supposed to be crack. Short fluffy crack...OTL

-How to Talk About Fox Spirits and Keep It Halloween PG for Glory Professional Alliance: Imagine Lu Hanwen as your audience.

-when I was multiple links in to learning why Pandas have difficulty breeding I told myself this wasn’t a research paper. Then I remembered that I’ve only been writing critical essays and research papers TT u TT

-I had to keep re-writing the fox spirit bit because it kept becoming: "According to [Name] of [X Era] in his [book], fox spirits...". Citing historians at this point would probably be a disservice to them with how much I've probably mashed everything together. Plus the addition of 1 or 2 fandom tropes about succubi/incubi. But fyi, I used wikipedia and first page of Google Search as my references.

-The golden eyes-brown eyes isn't something I’ve come across in research but from Into Exile by Sath, a Scum Villain fanfic where a fox spirit appeared.
link:https://archiveofourown.org/works/20109799/chapters/47637301

-Fenes’ meta on the Four Tactician’s from Syncogon’s tumblr page was very helpful in writing the second thread: There’s something off about rookie Ye Rui’s playstyle.
link: https://syncogon.tumblr.com/post/183233452411/qzgs-meta-on-the-differences-between-the-four

-I know that Ye Xiu said that the tactics of this world weren’t as sophisticated as his old world, but I didn’t want to think about how not meeting Ye Xiu would affect the way the Three Master Tacticians + Wang Jiexie developed their tactics, without seeming like I was...dumbing them down, so to speak.

-midway through, I realized that this also turned into a “How Would People React if They Hadn’t Become Desensitized to How Broken Ye Xiu Is”. Awe and Terror.

-for a fic about Ye Xiu, there certainly isn't a lot of him...
[Ye Rui AU fans: *sigh* it's so hard to stan our god
Ye Xiu canon fans: hold my keyboard]

-There will be bonus content! Basically the art that started this all (and yet has not been finished) and an extra scene

Chapter 2: Bonus Content

Summary:

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Season's Greetings! It's time for some bonus content! 🎁✨

Notes:

Yay Bonus content! Glad I was able to finish this before the year's end.

Also, I put in a small something about battle gods in the Fox Thread in the main chapter. Nothing big but it's a nod to Ye Xiu's former world Battle God title (^ u ^) (yes yes it's OAL's title but even Sun Xiang thought the title should go to YX himself)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

BONUS 1: There and Back Again, A Tale of Two Friends

 

[Glory Professional Alliance v: Thank you for all your support for a very successful Halloween event! We hope you had as much fun as we did! As a parting gift, here are some never before seen Behind The Scenes photos!]

 

The Monkey and The Fox

[Caption: Excellent Era's Su Muqiu and Royal Style's Ye Rui having a lighthearted moment in between takes]

 

[awwww it's them friends]

 

[in The Monkey King (a 2014 prequel to Journey to the West from Hong Kong) Sun Wukong has a childhood fox friend :) ]

 

[kinda sad though, because Sun Wukong's immortal and he wants all his friends to be immortal. So he goes to Heaven to learn the secret to immortality. But when he comes back, all his friends (including the fox) have been killed :( ]

 

[okay wow this got sad quickly]

 

[interestingly enough, the West direction is also associated with Death. So for our purposes, "Journey to the West" could also be interpreted as "Journey to the Land of Death"]

 

[Also the West is the jurisdiction of Bái Hǔ, The White Tiger of the West, who is also the Lord of Autumn. And Ye Rui's avatar is named Herald of Autumn]

 

[Someone get Han Wenqing in this group pic]

 

[PSA to remind everyone that Su Muqiu's first ever Glory Account was a Sharpshooter named Autumn Tree. #JustSaying]

 

[That's...pretty neat]

 

[What a coincidence]

 

[Fic: There and Back Again, A Tale of Two Friends. Su Muqiu, the Monkey King, having fulfilled his duties to Heaven, continues further West, into the realm of Bái Hǔ, the Lord of Autumn. Never would he have thought that he would encounter a friend he thought he had lost forever under the Great Autumn Tree.

 

or

 

After dying, Fox Ye Rui was revived as a vassal of Bái Hǔ to become the Herald of Autumn. #EveryoneLivesNobodyDies #SecondChanceAtLife]

 


 

 

BONUS 2:  Team Royal Style versus Team Wind Howl, Season 8, post-match, corridor

 

“My my Old Ye~ you’re looking rather healthy today,” Fang Rui leered, waggling his eyebrows “ Positively glowing actually.

 

Ye Xiu rolled his eyes. Tian Sen meanwhile, puffed up with pride; pleased to know that the hard work of the team doctor and the Royal Style nutritionists was paying off. The results really spoke for themselves, Ye Xiu did have a healthy glow to him now.

 

This aura of satisfaction didn’t escape Fang Rui. “Oh, Captain Tian? Could it be your doing?”

 

Tian Sen bashfully tried not to preen. What with him being both Ye Xiu’s team captain and partner, it had fallen to him to monitor the extremely out of shape man and make sure that he followed the doctor’s orders to eat healthily and regularly. He also forced him out on morning walks while he and Ren Junchi ran circles around him. Perhaps there would even be a day in the future when he would even see Ye Xiu run. His heart swelled at the thought. Was this what parenthood felt like?

 

Realizing that he was staring off into the distance with a dreamy expression, he did his best to tone down his smile. “I couldn't possibly take credit for everyone's efforts," he said modestly.

 

“No need to be so modest Captain Tian,” Fang Rui winked, “Knowing you, you’d feel compelled to contribute the most; you being Old Ye’s partner and all. Do you do it everyday? It must be so tiring.

 

Tian Sen nodded firmly. “Early in the morning, right after waking up so we can make the most of a morning shower and work up an appetite for breakfast. Naturally, as captain, I'll do whatever it takes to help my team if it's within my ability. But luckily in this case,  it is no trouble at all; quite enjoyable actually.”

 

A round of coughing ensued. Faces twitching in poorly suppressed laughter.

 

Tian Sen admitted that it was a little funny watching Ye Xiu practically melt in the sunlight, just a little. But then it also warmed his heart to see how dedicated he was. Once Ye Xiu decided on something, he would definitely see it through. Tian Sen caught his partner's eye and smiled in companionship.

 

Ye Xiu sighed. How did that meme go? Something about killing and cinnamon rolls. He smiled wryly back at his captain. Someone needed to protect him from the Master of Dirty Play. 

 

Eh, Shen Wanhe could do that. He had some schooling to do.

 

“That’s uh...” Fang Rui cleared his throat, his mouth twitching. “That’s very noble of you Captain Tian. Your care and dedication for your teammates knows no bounds. Truly inspiring. Do you think there's any room for me in one of your...sessions?” he finished innocently.

 

Tian Sen was incandescent in his delight. He’d been trying to convince his colleagues of the importance of a healthy body even in the E-Sports for ages . That Fang Rui was expressing interest was-

 

“Oh, you’re offering?” Ye Xiu drawled, the slant of mischief clear on his face to those frequently forced to deal with the aftermath (namely his teammates). “Do you think you can compare with someone with as much... vigor as Captain Tian? You might not last long.” His assessing gaze travelled lazily over Fang Rui; this father was not about to be outdone by his former teammate.

 

“Look into my honest eyes, Old Ye, this Golden Right Hand-”

 

“-must be cramping with fatigue after having been at it for hours-”

 

“It’s no problem! You just need to keep at it to increase your endurance!” Tian Sen interjected, afraid that Ye Xiu was going to make Fang Rui lose interest. “And doing it with other people really gives you more energy to keep going! The more the merrier, in fact!”

 

The coughing turned to choking. That this critical blow would actually come from Tian Sen himself...

 

“Captain,” Ye Xiu laid a calming hand on Tian Sen’s elbow (his shoulder was too high up and thus not worth the effort) and looked up entreatingly, “We shouldn’t trouble Senior Fang, he has his own team to look out for.” 

 

Their teammates couldn't help but wonder, 'was Tian Sen really this dense?' Their arm hair was standing up at Ye Xiu's demure act.

 

“Looking after one’s health is never too much trouble,” Tian Sen said, laying a firm hand over Ye Xiu’s hand and looking at his partner earnestly in the eye. There were many others like Ye Xiu who worked themselves to the bone; never making time for themselves because it seemed frivolous.

 

'Oh gods' , the team thought in horror at the very misleading scene of their captain gazing deeply into his partner’s eyes, their hands pressed together, ' he WAS that dense.'

 

Fang Rui’s gaze suddenly became a little uncertain, flitting back and forth between Tian Sen and and his partner. “Hey man...it’s okay...I wouldn’t want to intrude…” Were these guys serious or not??? Ye Rui of course was a black-hearted shameless bastard but Tian Sen wasn’t flinching!!!

 

“What, suddenly getting cold feet?” Ye Xiu said loftily. "See Captain, he was just getting your hopes up."

 

Shen Wanhe, tired of watching this cat push the plate closer to the edge, cut in. “Please don’t encourage him. It's not fair for you to play your game when Captain doesn't know what's going on."

 

“Yeah!” Ren Junchi thumping Ye Xiu’s shoulder, almost making him fall over. “Be more considerate! Think of Captain Tian’s feelings! Think of our feelings! Think of the children.”

 

"Wait. What?"

 

"Children?"

 

""What children?!?""

 

"""WHOSE CHILDREN???!!??"""

 

""""""""YOU HAVE CHILDREN??!?!?""""'"""

 

“Nice going,” Jia Shiming said drily

 

“It...it's supposed to be a meme...” Ren Junchi said in dismay.

 

“Now Tian Sen’s going to double up on his efforts to make us fit.” Chang Jianping grumbled. 

 

Shen Wanhe sighed. “I’m not paid enough for this.”

 

 


Meanwhile, Ye Xiu and Fang Rui were apologizing to Royal Style's captain for their antics. Ye Xiu had a thick face but the hulking beast of a man was wilting. He wished Chen Guo could see this. Turns out the only antidote to his shamelessness was an oblivious cinnamon roll. It made him want to promise to try jogging as an apology, how alarming.

 


 

 

BONUS 3: The Man, The Legend, The Meme

 

Ye Rui used TAUNT. ...It's super effective!

 


 

 

P.S.  (Because I can't put pictures in the end notes, I think)

 

Hardships of Drawing Su Muqiu TT u TT

Notes:

On an interesting note, I searched "Finger picks for guqin" and literal claws came out. Works for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Poor Tian Sen is operating on a completely different wavelength TT u TT
Tian Sen: early morning exercise! ✨ ୧(^ 〰 ^)୨
Fang Rui (and others): early morning exercise ;) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

On the topic of cinnamon rolls, I think Qiao Yifan would be perceptive enough to know what's going on but wouldn't join in; just blush furiously. Meanwhile, all the subtext just flies over Tian Sen's head.