Actions

Work Header

Beetlejuice Role Reversal AU Oneshots

Summary:

Just oneshots of Beetlejuice but in a role reversal AU

Pretty much Beetlejuice/Laurence is basically Lydia, Lydia is Beetlejuice, Maitlands and Charles and Delia are still ghost though, Juno is an asshole mom (but what's new)

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: 1: Irrationally Dyeing Hair

Chapter Text

"Honest question, how the hell do you sit here and do that for hours kid?"

 

Lydia asked as she peered into the bedroom with the top half of her poking in the room while she fazed through the ceiling. The bedroom, a dull cream-colored room with a few band posters spread across the room with clothes strewn along the floor, sat Laurence. Sitting crisscrossed on the rumpled bedsheets he had a folder full of sheet music as he wrote down different notes and strumming patterns in one hand and held his ukulele with the other. At the sudden comment, he looked up at Lydia and quietly laughed before turning back towards his music.

 

Lydia groaned, "Look kid I gave you your space and let you do your thing for five hours while I slept and I came back expecting to have some fun and fuck shit up but you're still doing the same thing you were doing when I left, how are you not bored yet!"

 

Laurence's attention stayed on the new pattern he was writing down, but his face gained a slight blush as he shrugged his shoulders and simply said, "I don't know, I just like it I suppose."

 

Fazing through the rest of the ceiling Lydia was now fully in the room and began floating lazily towards the bed. She glided down to Laurence's eye level before gently setting down on the bed next to Laurence, but far too close for anyone's liking. She gazed over Laurence's shoulder to get a view of what all he was writing down that took hours. She gazed at the papers confusedly before deciding to not even try, rolling her eyes she laid back on the bed with a sigh.

 

"How the hell do you even understand any of that stuff kid?" She asked, gazing at him. Laurence looked back at her before grabbing his folder and paper before moving them toward her direction with a genuine smile etched on his face.

 

"It's really fun once you begin to understand it and know what everything means. You can create all these little songs and make them your own. I can teach you if you want?" He offered, Lydia groaned and shoved the papers back towards Laurence as she began to sit up.

 

She ran a hand through her hair as she said, "Nah kid, I'm not into that stuff but thanks anyway. You just do whatever makes your heart feel full." She said smiling brightly at Laurence before ruffling his hair lovingly causing him to giggle and his face to go red. That when the idea hit her causing her to smile evilly.

‘Wonder if I can get the kid to live a little for once?’ She thought to herself.

She looked at Laurence or well to be specific, his hair. It was a dull, floppy mess that reminded her of some type of puppy especially with those brown eyes he loved to guilt-trip her with. She put a hand on his shoulder turning him away from his music, so his attention was focused on her completely instead. He gazed at her questioningly as her mischievous smile caught his gaze.

 

"Look, Laurence, I know you like this stuff but why don't you take a break and do something else for a bit" Lydia suggested adding, "maybe something experimental, something to piss your mom off."

This comment caught his attention. Laurence hated his mom more than anything, well truthfully, he was more scared of her than anything but hated her none the less. Laurence's mind filled with tricks something to scare his mom possibly, or just make her pissed off at nothing. He giggled slightly at the memory of the time Lydia threw Juno’s business papers throughout her office. Causing Juno to begin cussing out every window in the house for messing up her specific organization. His gaze flicked down to his sheet music before looking back at Lydia, then nodding.

 

He sat his ukulele down closed his folders and turned so he sat directly in front of Lydia, "What do you have in mind?" He asked.

Lydia smiled wickedly her eyes flashing a deep red before she burst out laughing maniacally at the thought of what she had in mind. She quieted down and peered at Laurence with a questioning gaze smile still plastered on her face.

 

"You sure you can handle it kiddo?" She asked he nodded quickly smile growing on his face, then she added, "Great follow me." She floated up and towards his bedroom door. He quickly hoped of the bed and followed her like a lost puppy. She smiled at him as she opened the door and began to head down the hallway. The hallway was practically barren, with no family pictures, no paintings not even those weird pictures of flowers or animals that just hang in your grandma's house for no reason. But the kid's mom wasn’t the sentimental type. Angered flared rapidly as Lydia thought of that demon Laurence had for a mother who was worse than Satan himself. She could feel the warmth flow throughout her chest and up her neck thinking about all the times Lydia had found the kid crying or nursing a cigarette burn or a bruise from something Juno had thrown at him.

 

"U-uh Lyds you alright?" Lydia shot her attention behind her towards Laurence. She gazed down at her hands noticing the light red color, like a cartoon character, when she got mad, she starts heating up and turning a shade of red. Looking back towards Laurence who stared at her nervously wringing his hands together and picking at the black nail polish they had spent the whole night doing about a week ago. Her anger quickly fleeted with sympathy taking over instead. She knew how scared he got when people got mad. He always assumed they were mad at him, that he'd done something wrong, worried people would act out at him as his mother did. She thought back to how long it had taken her to just be able to be sarcastic with him without him thinking she hated him.

 

She looked at Laurence and simply laughed lightly before saying, "Yeah I'm an alright kid just thinking about your shitty mom." That got a laugh out of Laurence, which left her perfectly satisfied. Turning back towards her destination she floated towards the door and wrenched it open allowing Laurence to walk in first. Walking in he turned the light on and gazed around with confusion glued to his face.

 

"The bathroom?" He asked, no longer completely confident in what Lydia had planned for Juno. Lydia smiled and closed the door behind her as she also entered the bathroom. Making sure to lock it before the kid completely bailed don her and used her powers to keep the door closed as a last resort. Laurence nervously eyed the door and then shifted his gaze towards Lydia, "What's going on Lyds?" He asked as he backed away from her.

 

"Relax," She laughed at how nervous he was, "look I know you pride yourself on not being like other kids your age but why don't you try something new, something that you may like and will completely make your mom lose her shit?" She asked suggestively. Laurence tilted his head in confusion remaining quiet not quite catching onto what she was saying yet. Lydia sighed with a slight laugh before randomly pulling a bottle from out of nowhere. Laurence's gazed locked on the bottle with curiosity.

"Look, kid, before you flip your shit, I'm bored and you need to live a little so why not try something new?" She suggested before throwing the bottle towards Laurence. He caught it and turned it over to see the label of what exactly he was supposed to be trying. His eyes widened at what he read immediately dropping the bottle and rushing towards the door. Lydia moved quickly like a matador facing a bull, she smiled as he tried to yank the door open knowing his efforts were pointless.

 

"Kid, calm down and sit down and give me a good, solid reason why you shouldn't do this." She said possessing him for a moment so she could get him to abandon the doorknob and sit at the edge of the tub and talk to her.

 

"Lyds, I can't dye my hair, she'll kill!" He nearly shouted, trying to stand up but Lydia kept him frozen in place. She paced the bathroom pretending to be struck in thought only slightly considering what he had said. She knew Juno wouldn't care what Laurence did with his hair, hell she would be shocked if Juno even noticed the change. She leaned down in front of him a gentle smile resting on her lips, she could tell how nervous and scared he was of what could happen to him. Should couldn't blame him, that Juno bitch terrified him.

 

"Kid, I promise and swear to god/Satan it'll be okay Juno won't do anything to you, you've got my word." She said as she gazed at him trying to get him to see that she would never purposely put him into danger.

Laurence thought about it gazing back towards the bottle of hair dye laying on the floor. He couldn't recall how many times this demon had helped him it was certainly more than anyone in his life so far. She was his best friend, practically an older sister to him, or as he liked to think an emotional support demon. He smiled slightly at that thought.

 

Signing, with a nervous smile on his face he gazed up at her and asked, "What color is it?"

 

{----------------}

 

After what seemed like hours of Lydia applying the dye to Laurence's hair. She wasn't as good at it as she thought she would be but her skills as of right now would have to do. Despite the kid whining to see what she was doing, she refused to let the kid see what she was doing to avoid any second thoughts, he couldn’t bail out now. It was a hassle to wash Laurence's hair out, but they got through it eventually, but it did end with Lydia almost drowning the kid. And as of right now he was sat with his hands resting on his knees, as he slouched forward, his shirt was soaked but the kid was exhausted it seemed not bothered at all by the soggy shirt. Even with the loud noise of the hairdryer the kid had his eyes closed and seemed rather relaxed as she ran her hands through his hair as she dried it for the finished product. After, what she estimated as another thirty-minute, his hair was completely dry. Looking at her work she beamed with excitement. His hair was fluffy and stood up but made it even better was the stripes of green that were more prominent at the top of his hair and faded the lower it went. Lydia adored it thinking it gave more into his puppy dog vibe. She gently prodded the kid, he lifted his head and blinked slowly before rubbing his eyes and standing up. Before he was ready Lydia yanked him towards the mirror and covered his eyes.

 

"On the count of three...one...two...three!" She yanked her hands away from his eyes.

 

She was practically jumping with excitement getting ready for the kid's reaction. But Laurence went quiet as he gazed at himself in the mirror. Lydia's excitement slowed to a stop, worry flooding her emotions.

'what if the kid didn't want to do this and I just pressured him' and 'does he hate it, does he hate me'

A sudden tilt of Laurence's head caught her attention. Gazing back towards Laurence she watched as he turned his head and peered at his newly colored hair. Before she even knew it, she was being constricted in a tight hug. She stood frozen for a moment not knowing if this was caused because he was upset or because he was happy.

 

"Thanks, Lyds" Laurence mumbled, she could hear the smile etched on his face. A smile stretched across her face and she buried her head in his shoulder as she hugged him back just as hard running a hand through his new hair.