Actions

Work Header

Of Time and Tragedies

Chapter 75: Magic of the Faeries

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Mavis stared out across the ocean, in the direction of Tenrou Island, wondering if she should return home. The guild was gone, and she’d given Erza the key to her books. There was nothing more for her to do anymore. Not until the guild came back together. 

Despite spending nearly a century on Tenrou, plotting and preparing, all alone, she found she missed the island. It was strange. She didn’t think she would ever be capable of missing that place, not after spending so much time there that she’d memorized the placement of every tree, everyone stone, every piece of Tenrou. 

Or perhaps it wasn’t necessarily Tenrou that she missed. Perhaps it was the person that Tenrou reminded her of. 

“I know I’m taking a long time, Zera…” Mavis bowed her head, clasping her hands and letting her hair tumble into her eyes. “I promise I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.” 

A cool breeze caressed her face, and she let out a breath. “It’s been so long…” Too long, unbearably long. 

You’ve been so strong, Mavis, a voice whispered, Zera’s voice, but not Zera. 

She shook her head. “Don’t use her voice… please don’t do that.” 

As you wish, the entity said, using another achingly familiar voice. 

“Not Zeref’s either.” Mavis closed her eyes. “I assure you, I am more than okay with you using your true form, you don’t have to desecrate the voices and forms of those I hold dear.” 

A ghostly touch brushed her shoulders, almost as if she were being hugged from behind, but it didn’t feel quite like human touch. I promise it’s almost over, Mavis. And you’ve done so well.

Honestly, Mavis struggled to bring herself to care anymore. After a century, alone, without those she cared about, manipulating her legacy… 

She knew it had to be done, truly, she did, but after so long, those things were getting to her. It left her feeling… hollow, almost dead inside. 

It was alarming, too close to how she had felt during the Trade Wars, when she’d been so numb inside, so broken, that she hadn’t even noticed she had fallen under the Curse of Ankhseram. 

“I’m tired…” Mavis whispered. How long had it been since she’d been held? Since she’d felt warm and safe? Since she had been open and truly kind? “I want it to be over…” 

You’re so close, you’re almost there, just a little longer. 

“A little longer,” Mavis whispered. “Just a little longer, Zera… a little longer.” 


“My Lady…you really should rest.” 

Titania jerked up, her eyes narrowing. “Ah… Virgo. I didn’t summon you, what are you doing here?” 

Virgo fidgeted with the hem of her dress. “My Lady… you’re exhausting yourself, you should try and get some sleep. We’re all getting worried.” 

“All?” Titania asked. Who was there to worry about her? She was the most powerful wizard in the entire world. No one worried about her. 

“Your friends, your advisors, your spirits…” Virgo glanced away. “Even Aquarius is growing concerned.” 

“Aquarius isn’t even my spirit,” Titania pointed out. Aquarius belonged to Heartfilia. Or was it Aguria? No… no, it was Heartfilia. Ophiuchus belonged to Aguria. 

The Faerie heaved a sigh. Perhaps Virgo was right. If Titania was confusing the magic of her most trusted advisors, perhaps she was overworking herself. 

Virgo turned back to her, brushing her hair behind her ear, her shackle jangling as she did so. “The gods have been speaking to you again, haven’t they?” 

Titania stared down at the diary she had been writing in. It was complete gibberish, and upon closer inspection, she realized some of it wasn’t even in a tongue she recognized. “Yes, I suppose they have been.” 

The corner of Virgo’s mouth twitched downwards, concern budding in her eyes. “My Lady?” 

Titania waved her off and shut the diary. “It’s nothing, I assure you.” 

The way the gods play with me, is nothing compared to those who come after. 


Zeref stared down at the Book of E.N.D., delicately tracing the letters on the cover. 

He could sense it in the air. The powers of the world were shifting. The dragons were dead and gone, replaced only by the slayers. Even nearly all the Etherious had died off, leaving only the hybrids, and a select few that hadn’t been Tartaros members. There had been a resurgence in Faerie magic, a tingling in the air that had not quite been there, even four hundred years ago. 

It was like the gods themselves were awakening. 

“What hand have you had in this, Mavis, dear?” Zeref was not too proud to admit that Mavis was infinitely more clever than him. He knew she had been laying the groundwork for a grand scheme for a century now. Was it finally time to watch her plans come to fruition? 

Well… if that were the case… 

Zeref gripped the cover of the book, his fingers slipping beneath the worn leather, brushing the pages beneath it. “I have my own plans, Mavis.” 

He opened the Book of E.N.D.. 


Natsu awoke with a gasp, a feeling like nothing he’d ever experienced blazing through his chest. Burning him. He clawed at his chest, frantically trying to make it stop, to get it out, until he realized… 

It… doesn’t hurt? 

He forced his breathing to steady, forced his hands away from his chest, focusing on the fact that he felt a foreign fire blazing through his very soul, but didn’t feel one bit of pain. 

Just energy and power and a strange difference that he couldn’t quite name. 

“What the hell?” he whispered. 

A fire flickered across his fingertips, and Natsu frowned. That… couldn’t be his fire… right? 

But it was definitely coming from him. His body, his power, his magic. 

Little flames, springing up from his palm, as red as blood.

Notes:

Well everyone, it's the end! If you read all of this, 1. I want to know if you're okay like holy hell this is a lot, but 2. Thank you so much!!! I hope you enjoyed it (at least a little bit), and if you've ever left a nice comment or a kudos, it really means a lot! They always brighten my day

I think I mentioned this a while back, but the next two upcoming parts are going to be posted at the same time, as I'll be working on both of them simultaneously. There's going to be a 15 chapter long part containing the Zero Arc and what came after, and then a 20 chapter long part detailing what everyone is up to between now and Alvarez. I hope you enjoy the direction that the story goes

Once again, thank you so much! This is my favorite fic to work on (obviously), but it always makes it so much more fun to know other people are enjoying it as well

I'll see you at the Zero arc!

Series this work belongs to: