Actions

Work Header

The Romy Files

Summary:

‘I love you, because the entire universe conspired to help me find you.’ Paulo Coehlo, The Alchemist.

Steve did just not expect to find her at a shrimp truck.

Notes:

 

Chapter 1: Dammit - this was supposed to be a fling

Summary:

Season 5 - episode 1
Inviting her over for the first time, was supposed to be different, and it definitely should not involve gunshot wounds.

I know I should be updating Opposite Attracts, but these two would just not leave me alone.

Enjoy!

Chapter Text

 

“Thanks, Jerry. But I had enough today getting shot at.” Steve said as Jerry closed the door on his car.

He felt the phone buzzing in his shorts and wiggled around to get it out of the pocket.

‘No worries, happy to come to yours. See you later’

Steve smiled, first the drone and then getting shot, it seemed like the universe was out to stop him to meet up with her. He scrolled up through his text messages to double check that he had sent her his address.

He tried to get out of the car and rid of Jerry quickly, as much a he loved the guy he didn’t want him around when she came. The guys where on him  about Catherine all the time, he didn’t need their meddling with whatever he had with her.

Steve hobbled up the front porch and into the house, turning quickly around to wave  goodbye to Jerry. As soon as the car backed out of his driveway he let out a breath, now he could prep. Sighing he opened the fridge and couldn’t find much in it, that didn’t need him to let go of the crutches.  Maybe he needed to resort to Kamekona’s garlic shrimp.

'Not for a date, man!' He swore the voice in his head sounded just like Danny.

While he was still  contemplating the insides of his fridge, the doorbell rang. Son of a bitch! He wanted to at least have dinner on it’s way before she came.

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

Making his way to the front door, he struggled briefly with the crutches before opening the door.

“Hey!” She grinned at him widely before it slipped right of her face, as she noticed the bandage and crutches “What happened?”

“Hi Romy,” Steve stepped to the site and let her in his living room. “You’re looking great. Green is definitely your colour.” He smiled appreciatively

Romy smiled back, a little flush spreading up her neck at the unexpected compliment,  choosing not comment on it further she focused back on his injury.

“Should you be standing? Better shouldn’t you be in the hospital.”

Steve gave her a half smile “just a through and through, didn’t hit anything major.”

Romy just gasped, what the heck! Steve laughed at her facial expression “Comes with the job.” He shrugged. He showed her the way to the lanai.  “Can I get you a beer?”

“A beer would be great.” Romy stood and marvelled at the view.

Steve shuffled around with his crutches and hit one of the chairs, bringing Romy out of her trance. She twirled and stared at Steve  trying to make his way inside.

“How do you think you are going to carry two bottles and your crutches?” She cocked her head to the side.

“Ehem.” He grinned and then shrugged. She was right moving around was a little bit difficult.

“Just point me in the right direction," Romy rolled her eyes at him fondly.

“Kitchen, first to the left and then in the fridge.”

“Ok,” Romy turned around in the door “and do me a favour and sit down.”

Thankfully Steve sank down in one of his lanai chairs and let out a breath. He didn’t realise that it would still hurt so much.

——xx——xx—— 

A bottle appeared in his peripheral “Thanks.”

Romy sat down next to him and they clinked bottles.

“You have the most amazing place.” Romy sighed while she took in his garden and beach “your own little slice of paradise.”

Steve looked over, the setting sun making her red hair appear to be on fire.

“Yeah, until I was about 16.”

He took a sip of his beer. “Then my mother faked her death, which at that time we didn’t know about, and my dad sent me and my sister away cause he couldn’t deal with it. McGarrett men aren’t great with feelings,” he muttered. “Sorry, we Said weren’t going to do serious.”

Steve referred to the conversation they had during their first date, Romy told him that she wasn’t good at relationships and she was here on a year long temporary assignment and he told her he wasn’t ready for anything serious after Catherine. Just some fun, dinners, dates and sex nothing more and nothing less. It seemed he had broken one of their rules already.

“Doesn’t mean you can’t talk to me.” Romy smiled and covered his hand with hers “it’s easier sometimes to talk to someone, who had absolutely nothing to do with it.”

Steve flipped his hand and laced their fingers and squeezes appreciatively. They sat for a couple more minutes in silence, before Steve cleared his throat “I don’t have much for dinner, but we can order in.” Romy pulled a face “or I’ve got garlic shrimp in the kitchen.”

“Kamekona’s garlic shrimp?”

“His 'get well present'. He was actually disappointed that I didn’t hurt anything worse.”

Romy chuckled “Well, his bedside manner could use improvement, but I love him just for his garlic shrimp.” The two headed into his kitchen and Steve tried to be useful, but with his crutches he was more hindrance.

With an exasperated sigh Romy parked him on top of the kitchen counter.

“You’re my guest!” Steve argues while swinging his legs like a pre-schooler “you shouldn’t be cooking.”

He watched as Romy took out some veggies and started to make a salad.

“You’re hurt, you should be relaxing!” She said indignantly. “Also I’ve been living in a hotel for over a month, I miss my own kitchen.”

She found some pasta and set that to boil before Steve pulled her between his legs and kissed her.

“Thanks.” Kiss

“For what?” Kiss

“Taking care of me.” Kiss

“I’m literally putting pasta into water, it’s nothing.” Kiss

“Nobody has told me to sit down after getting hurt, since I’m 16.” Kiss

“You are going to make me cry, McGarrett. That’s horrible.” Kiss

“It’s life.” He shrugged and started to press kisses down her neck.

Romy shook her head, she couldn’t quite believe what she heard. So instead of voicing her displeasure out loud, she concentrated on cooking dinner. Kamekonas garlic shrimp joined the spaghetti in a pan for a quick sauté and minutes later they sat back on the lanai enjoying dinner.

Romy twirled some spaghetti on her fork while staring out on the ocean.

“You truly have a paradise here.”

“Your always welcome in my paradise.” Steve grinned at her. It was almost a shock to himself how much he meant that. Romy looked right at home here on his lanai, and he really liked looking at her. Especially when the setting sun hit her hair at the right angle. 

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

She was biting her lip again, it must have been the third time in the last 10 minutes,and Steve couldn’t help himself he captured her lips with his. Romy slid her hands into his hair and pulled him closer, until Steve lifted her completely on his lap.

“I think we should move this indoors.” Steve mumbled while kissing down her neck and suckling on her pulse point softly. “Yeah.”

Fumbling with Steve’s injured leg and still being attached by the lips, it took them awhile to make it inside the house. Moving towards the stairs, Steve tried to hoist her up to carry Romy up the stairs, but as soon as she had wrapped her legs around him, he groaned and almost let her fall to the floor.

“I don’t know if I should take this as a dig to my weight,” Romy giggled.

Steve pressed his forehead against hers. “Definitely not. I really like your curvy body. But I don’t think I can...”

“You got shot today, I give you a pass and you have loads of floor space down here.”

“Oh the German practicality, I knew it’d become handy one day.” Steve dragged her over into the study.

The patio doors were still open, a light breeze blowing and the Waves were crashing soothingly in the background.

Steve threw a blanket on the floor before lowering himself and Romy down to the floor.

When Romy objected “You’re hurt and I don’t want to injure you any further.”

Steve’s only response was  to pull her on top of him, “Not when you do most of the heavy lifting.”

His hips ground up into her, and Romy’s head fell back with a groan and he hips grinned into his. Then both of them were lost in a haze of hot touches and delicious friction.

——xx——xx—— 

Romy and Steve were laying on his living room floor, Romys head on his chest his hand moving up and down her bare back, a blanket bunched underneath them.

“Do you care sharing with me how you got shot?”

“The drone got me.”

Romy's head lifted from his chest and she arched and eyebrow.

“Danny and I were trying to lure the drone and arguing about Jerry’s idea.”

“Bickering more likely.” Romy interjected, from what she gathered, those to loved each other but expressed it with co stanly arguing.

“Anyway...I told him he could get out and walk if he wanted to.”

“Isn’t it Danny’s car that your driving?”

“Who cares, I was driving. The driver gets to make the rules.”

“Remind me to never go on a road trip with you,” Romy muttered.

Steve tickled her side, making her wiggle away from him and then cuddle back close. “Do you want to know how I got shot or not?”

“Sorry, sorry.” Romy kissed his cheek.

“I stopped the car, and got out.”

“What?”

“There was a homeless man sleeping on a bench, I couldn’t let him get hurt.”

Romy closed her eyes, what she gotten to know from Steve in the last 3 weeks were that he would always get hurt if it would keep someone else from it.

“And then the drone attacked, and I got shot.” He carded his hand through her hair. “Hey, at least Danny got to drive his car afterwards.”

Romy chuckled into his chest. ‘This man was going to be the death of her, if she wasn’t going to fall in love with him first.’

Dammit, this was supposed to be a fling.

 

Chapter 2: Chapter 2 - He's way too happy

Summary:

Warnings: None
Episodes: Season 5 Episodes 3 -6

Notes:

These are some scenarios that popped into my head while rewatching Season 5, not big enough to be a stand alone chapter for each though.

Feedback and Kudos highly appreciated as always!

Enjoy lovelies!

Chapter Text

 

Steve grinned again when he saw a notification pop up. “What is it with you and texts recently. Anything we should know about?” Chin nodded towards Steve’s phone. 
“Just embracing technology.” 
“Yeah, alright.” Chin smirked “You sure there is nothing else.”
“What is this with the 3rd degree, man. Never thought you’d channel Danny.” 
“Hey!” Chin exclaimed, something was up with Steve recently he was way too happy and stable for someone who was just left behind by the love of his life. 


Steve had just hung up with Danny and felt a bit at a loss on what to do. This whole Reyes thing got more crazy by the day. Danny now having an idea where the money is made it worse, it put him even more in danger than before. 
Standing up from his desk he sighed, while picking up his phone. Opening the messaging app he quickly typed out ‘are you free tonight?’ 
He needed a distraction, taking his mind off things and time spend with Romy never bored him. 
‘Sure. I’m still in the office and could use a drink.’ 
Steve looked at his watch, 8pm and she was still working? 
‘I’ll pick you up in 10.’ He holstered his gun and badge, and was out of the door. 

Romy was waiting for him outside the hotel.
She must have found time to quickly change, not wearing her more formal work clothes but instead a pair of skinny jeans and floaty blouse, her feet in flip flops. Steve pulled up and she bounced up to his car and slipped into the passenger side. 


“Hey commander.” She kissed his cheek and buckled in.

“Miss Erhardt.” Steve grinned at her “Anywhere specific you want to go?” 
“As long as it’s not here, I don’t give a damn.” Her head fell back against the seat.
“You sound just as shit as my day has been.” 
“Shit doesn’t even begin to describe the clusterfuck I countered today” Romy stated. 
“I hear you… I hear you.” Steve mumbled and put the pick up into gear before easing it into traffic. 
Romy had closed her eyes and massaged the bridge of her nose. 
“Headache?” Steve glanced over to her. 
“Not yet, but with the amounts of idiots I’m dealing with it’s only a matter of time.”
He slid his right hand behind her head and massaged her neck softly. 
Romy moaned quietly “thank you.”
“You know gorgeous, I’m kinda worried. Are you jumping into any guys car and just tell him to drive.” He grinned at her.
“Only if they’re promising me drinks.” 
“Fair enough.” Steve chuckled. 

Settling into a booth at La Marina, Romy stirred her Mai Tai “And why was your day so shit?”
Steve leaned back  and taking a drag of his beer “Three idiot kids robbing tourists, killing one of them and then getting sweeped up in high profile robbery.”he summed up his day. 
“That does sound like a normal day for you though.” Romy prodded. 
“Yeah, you’re right.” Steve pushed his hands roughly over his face and through his hair. 
“You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to.”
“No it’s just...” he trailed off, not sure where to start “what about your day?”
“Just normal office politics crap.” Romy downplayed. 
The two of them sat in silence for a while, each nursing their drinks. It was comfortable sitting like this, just the presence of another person helped. 
“I think Jerry won’t stop investigating this book shop owner.”
“Will he get into trouble?”
“The guy is clean , I checked it out myself.”
“But...”
“Jerry is usual not wrong about this.” Steve shrugged “This time... I think he’s way in over his head.”
Another silence ensued. 
“I think someone is cooking the books at the hotel.”
That had Steve’s attention “You sure?”
“I don’t know, but something isn’t right.” Romy took a big sip of her cocktail. It felt good to say it out loud. 
“Marco Reyes thinks that Danny knows where his money is.”
Romys eyes got big ‘what the actual fuck!’
“And now he wants it back or he’ll kill Danny’s brother.”
“Shit.”
“Yeah.” He couldn’t tell her that Danny might have figured it out. Telling her that much was putting her danger and betraying Danny’s trust. If she just wasn’t that easy to talk to. 

His phone chirped,  a text from Danny. 
“Sorry Romy.” He said apologetic and started to get up.
“It’s ok.”Romy stood as well, downing the rest of her drink in one go “New case?”
Steve guided her out of the bar, his hand on the small of her back. 
“I wish. It’s Reyes.” 
“You better step on it then.” 

 



“Uncle Steve!” Grace barrelled through the garden down to the beach. The head of 5-O turned around and braced himself with the impact of the 12 year olds hug. 
“What you’re doing her, kiddo?” 
“Danno is just parking the car, we thought you could use a distraction.” 
“Did you now?” Steve still had his arms around the girl, more like Danny needed one. 
Grace leaned back slightly to look him in the face “He said you’ve been smiling too much recently with Catherine being gone so you must be moping in secret.” 
Steve chuckled at that, oh was Danny in for a surprise. 

“Steve!” His head whipped around and the picture before him almost made him topple over in laughter. 
Romy stood in the patio door way, hands held up, she looked shocked but slightly amused “Care to explain to your friend that I’m not an intruder?” 
“Danny, come on man, put your weapon away.” Steve jogged up to the house Grace in tow. 
His friend didn’t drop the gun quite yet “Who is she?” 
“She.” Romy put an annoyed inclination behind the word “is called Romy, as she told you before you pulled out your gun.” 
Steve had a little staring match with Danny until his partner finally put his gun away. 
Romy turned around and extended her hand “It’s nice to meet you, Danny.” 
Danny shook her hand a little bit dazed and then returned her smile “Nice to meet you. This is my daughter Grace.” 
“Hi Grace.” Romy waved at the girl that was still standing next to Steve. 

Grace had brought her swim suit and was ready to dive into the water and Romy joined her. 


“So this is the reason you’re in such an annoyingly happy mood recently.” Danny stood next to Steve watching the two of them splashing in the water. 
“Man...it’s nothing serious. It’s fun, we both are having fun.” Steve tried to stop his partner before he got ahead of himself. 
“What she seems nice and cute. After Catherine you deserve something straight forward.” 
Steve shook his head “So Grace said that you guys are here to cheer me up?” 
Throwing a side glance to his partner. 
Danny stood with his hand in his pockets rocking back and forth. 
Steve noticed, ever since they came back from Columbia, Danny couldn’t be still. He needed to be in motion, like that would give him a head start on anything life threw at him next. 
“Didn’t know you had that covered already.” Danny shrugged. 

It was his weekend with Grace, but he just couldn’t stay in his house, he was restless. Going to Steve’s seemed like a good idea, the house was calming and Steve understood, he wouldn’t make him talk. 

Later, it was decided that the Williams’ would stay for dinner, Danny was alone with Romy in the kitchen. 
“You make him happy.” 
Romy stopped, her head still in the fridge, slowly she turned around “Danny...”
“I know, Steve told me. Nothing serious...you still make him happy.” 
“He makes me happy too.” Romy smiled back “Makes it easier to not miss my family and friends that much.” 
She handed Danny some beers and steaks for the bbq. 
Hopping onto the kitchen counter she watched him prepare the marinades. 
“Your family is on the mainland?” 
“The mainland?” 
“Yes, the US...the mainland.”
Romy chuckled “Oh gosh you islanders with your random sayings.” 
“Did you just call me an islander?” Danny yelped. 
“When the flip flop fits.” Romy pointedly looked down onto Danny’s feet. 
“I’m from Jersey, girlie. Jersey! No, islander. There goes your first impression right down the toilet.” 
Romy burst out laughing, her laugh lured Steve and Grace onto the kitchen. 
Romy bowled over and Danny looking indignantly at her, arms crossed in front of his chest. 
“Steve! Can you please tell her that I’m not an islander. That I still despise this pineapple infested island, that the true beauty lies in Jersey and in Jersey alone.” 
“You did it, didn’t you?” 
“Yep!” Romy hopped of the counter and high-fived Steve before sauntering out of the kitchen onto the lanai. 
“You set her up to this, didn’t you?” Danny waved a finger accusingly in Steve’s face. 
He just grinned, grabbed the steaks threw over his shoulder “You’re just too easy to get, babe.” 

During dinner, Romy and Steve were grilled by Grace. Where did they meet, when did they meet. When was their first date. 
Romy patiently answered, making an effort to filter down some of their dates to a PG rating. 
One question made her stumble and even Steve looked a bit helpless when Grace asked if Steve was her boyfriend. Trying to find an answer, Grace found one for herself:  
“Is it like a friends with benefit thing?” Grace enquired, while Danny spluttered out  the beer he’d just drank.
“How… How do you know about friends with benefits?” 
“I watch TV, Danno.” 
Romy hid a chuckle behind her own beer bottle and glanced at Steve who didn’t fare much better than herself.
“Ok - that’s it. You are never ever watching tv in your life again.” 

 


 

Steve had been quiet when he got up, he showered, put on his suit, stared into the mirror. 
“You look dashing.” A soft voice behind him. 
Steve turned around, Romy had woken up and sat on the corner of the bed, her arms sling around her leg, her check leaning on her knee. 
“Hey.”
“Hey.” She got up and hugged  him, leaning her cheek between his shoulder blades.
Steve took her hands that were clasped around his waist and pressed a kiss to her knuckles. “Didn’t want to wake you.” He mumbled against. 
“You didn’t.” Romy untangled herself from him and adjusted his tie.
“I can’t believe it’s already four years.” Steve mumbled.
Romy patted his peck gently and kissed him, before stepping back. 
Steve took another look in the mirror and headed to the door.
“Steve,” He turned around, Romy was leaning against the door jamb to the bathroom “call your sister.” 
He nodded and gave her a tight smile before heading downstairs.

————————————————————————————

Sitting on the two chairs facing the beach, Romy buried her toes further into the sand and sighed this was paradise. 
The sun has just started to set and a beer was sitting on the arm rest. 
She hadn’t seen Steve for a couple of days, after meeting Ellie at his Dad’s grave, he had retreated into himself, so she had stepped back. Their thing  wasn’t supposed to be serious enough for her to get involved in family matters. 
Steve sat down next to her with a big sigh. 
He kept his gaze forward on to the waves, while his left hand searched for her right. 
Lacing their fingers together, he gave them a squeeze. “Thank you.” 
Romy smiled softly, kept her gaze out to the ocean as well “You’re welcome.”

Chapter 3: You’ll tell me tomorrow

Notes:

I hope I’m doing this episode justice.
The 100th is one of my favourites of the show.
Please enjoy and I can’t wait to hear your feedback!

Chapter Text

Killing Anton Hesse while his brother was on the phone to him was not how Steve’s day was supposed to go.

A struggle over the line “Is my father dead?" He asked out of breath.

"No, he's alive and he's gonna be fine," a voice he didn’t recognise told him

"Who am I talking to?"

"This is Detective Danny Williams…"

"Thank you, Detective Williams, Can I speak to my father, please?"

"Yeah, of course, John?" And then it was his father on the phone again.

"Hello Son."

"Dad."


Everything went blurry, when Steve opened his eyes again, he didn’t recognise his surroundings. An all white room with no doors and windows.  He didn’t know how it got here. His shoulder hurt like hell and he started shivering, not only from the blood loss but he also seemed to be barefoot.

He needed to get out of here, Steve wanted to go back to his dad. ‘Think!’ He told himself ‘Find the weak spot. Figure out where you are.’ He started to pound the walls, but these were too thick and no trapped door anywhere. His shouts were left unanswered and the buzzing halogen lights started to give him a headache.

 


 

Steve hadn't shown up to their sting op and he didn’t answer his phone - something was wrong.

Danny contemplates to call Romy, maybe Steve was with her and forgot the time...however unlikely that was, still better than the other scenarios his overimaginative mind had made up already.

Getting the phone call that the Marquis was phoned abandoned on a street, did not help one bit!

Neither that it was riddled with bullets, they found his phone and blood on the car. The tire tracks next to the car confirmed that Steve had been taken.

“Shit, shit, shit!” Danny pulled out Steve’s phone and went through his contacts before dialling.

After two rings the line was picked up “You were so right - being at yours is so  much better working through all that stuff than at the office, handsome. How did your op go?”

Lou’s, Chin’s and Kono’s eyebrows shot up, they were seriously behind on some news.

“Romy, it’s Danny.”

“Is everything ok?”

“When did you see Steve last?”

“What?”

“Steve, when did you see him?”

“This morning… is everything ok?”

“We think...Romy, Steve’s been taken.”

“Come again?”

“Someone has abducted Steve out of his car.”

Silence on the other end

“Romy....can you come down to the palace?”

“Yes...yes...I can be there in 15.”

 


 

Steve lost track of time for how long he pounded the walls of the room. Suddenly the lights went out and a previously hidden projector started to play. A home video - of himself as a kid, with his parents and Mary.

He couldn’t remember when it was taken, but he smiled at the scene, himself being so proud of a seashell he found showing it off to his parents and sister.

The lights clicked back on, and vents opened up. This was a fucking gas chamber! Steve ripped off his shirt, trying to block his mouth and nose - he was not dying in here!

Too late, coughing he collapsed on the floor. Was he hallucinating? A man appeared in his line of vision, wearing diving gear? No, Steve tried to concentrate, a gas mask. These were the people that kidnapped him, with that thought Steve became unconscious.

 



Waking up slowly, Steve tried to sort himself. He wasn’t with his dad and Danny anymore.

Another halogen light was in front of him, but without the annoying buzzing from earlier. This was a different room, more supply room than white prison.

He was strapped to a wooden chair with crinkled leather restrains, looking back up he found a woman in a complete leather outfit. There seems to be a theme here.

Steve regarded her closely as she started to pull out a heavy bag. She rummaged in it and returned with a flashlight and started to examine him. Was a she a doctor? This doesn’t make sense.

“Eat this.” A Protein bar was held in his face by her. Was she kidding him, BUDS training 1 0 1, never accept food from your captors.  "With the chemicals we're giving you, you're going to need to keep your blood sugar up."

So they did give him something, did he only dream that his dad was still alive? Everything was fuzzy.

Steve took a bite of the bar and spit it back at her. He just wanted to see a reaction, needed to know who he was dealing with.

He only received a glare in return.

“You gonna tell me what the hell is going on here?" No response.

"What do you want? What do you want from me?" still nothing “What have I ever done to you?”

The woman walked around him and started to pull out more supplies. Steve tried to follow her with his eyes ‘Are those bags…bags filled with  whatever they’re giving me?’ “What are you doing?” he mumbled quietly, trying to wrap his head around the situation.

"What have I done to you?" he tried again to get her talking, but still no answer.

It was time to switch the angle: “I’m a cop, you know that?" He followed her eyes down to his arm ‘What was this?’ It took him a second to spot something in his arm. A fucking IV! How did that escape him before??? Everything started to get fuzzy again

"I'm a cop. They're gonna… he's going to come… looking for me." His eyes rolled back and he was back to dreaming.

 


 

He was back with Detective Williams, this time speeding through Honolulu. The Detective was quiet until they stopped at a red light.

Discussing a homeless man  sitting at the intersection, their conversation was interrupted by a tinny rendition of ‘Love in the Air’

"Excuse me" Detective Williams said before answering "Hey, baby doll… I know… I know… Hey,I’m kinda in the middle of something can I call you back? Ok. Love you too, talk to you in a bit.”

"I take it you're married?" Steve asked.

"Yes, yes, very, very married," he said grinning widely. "I got lucky. Pretty much the greatest woman on the planet."

"What's her name?"

"Rachel."

Steve frowned, that didn’t sound right…so he masked his confusion with another question: "You got kids?"

"Yeah, I do. One little girl. Grace," Danny said proudly, the smile now taking over his entire face.

"But enough about me, huh, what about you?" Danny countered, “You’ve got anyone?”

“I am seeing somebody hopefully we get there someday. You know?”

“Yeah it’s the best. Whats her name?”

“Romy.” Steve startled himself, didn’t he want to say Catherine?

“How did you guys meet?” Detective Williams looked over at him, taking his eyes off the road for a second.

“In a bar, both in the same city for an assignment.”

“She’s military as well?”

“Nah.” Steve laughed “She couldn’t be more ‘not military’ if she tried. We are trying to make it long distance.”

“Oh wow that must suck.”

“We’re used to it by now.” Steve shrugged “Luckily London is easily accessible so we just tend to jump onto planes.”

“Sounds romantic.”

Steve smiled “It can be.”

 


 

With a cry of pain Steve was jolted back into reality, the brightness and pain made it hard to breath. The drugs she was giving him started to do their job, it became harder and harder to focus on what was real and what wasn’t.

Slowly the room shifted back into focus, and Steve could make out a man walking into the room. Laughter bubbled up in him, of course who else would it be - Wo Fat!

"Good. You're up," Wo Fat rolled up his shirt sleeves, "Let's begin."

Forcing Steve backwards, struggling all the way, before the woman pulled a towel tightly over his face and Wo Fat started to drown him in water.

Steve coughed and choked, his toes curled, fingers digging into the chair, trying to hold his breath for as long as he could.

Slowly Steve lifted his head and looked his enemy straight in the eye “You are never gonna break me.”

Wo Fat scoffed, while refilling the bucket “Behavioural engineering works, Steve. You know that. It just takes time.”

Steve eyes narrowed to slits, how he hated this man.

His captors pushed him back into the chair and began round two of water boarding.

"Now, tell me, where's my father." Wo Fat had stopped for a second.

Steve tried to clear his head ‘What the heck is going?’ “I don't know." Breathing hard.

"You expect me to believe that?"

"No." What else was he supposed to say? "But it's the truth."

Wo Fat didn’t accept that and another round of Water boarding began. It was getting harder and harder for Steve to cope, to get his breathing under control. His gasps for air were painful.

 


 

“Detective Williams?” the guard knocked on the glass door “She said, she’s here for you?” All eyes left the computer table and screen and zeroed in on Romy. “Yeah, thank you.” Danny moved over to the door and hugged her “Thank you for coming down so quickly.”

“Not a problem.” Romy pushed her glasses up her nose, a little nervous habit she developed as a kid.

Danny guided her over to the rest of the team and introduced her quickly.

“Hey aren’t you forgetting someone.” Sang Min piped up

“No, I am not. I’m not introducing rats to nice people.”

“Oho, spicy is not the only spicy one here today.”

Kono pulled out her weapon aiming it at the criminal “I told you one more stupid thing.”

“Ok..Ok” Sang Min held up his hands “I promise I shut up now.”

“Lou, can you lock him up somewhere so he finally shuts up.” Danny was exasperated.

“My pleasure.” Lou moved around the table and grabbed Sang Min on his arm and lead him out of the office.

“That’s how you treat your informants?” and another a squabble ensued.

“Romy, I know this must be scary.” Danny started.

“It’s ok, really. Anything that I can do to help.”

“Steve’s been kidnapped by Wo Fat.”

“Wo Fat are you sure?” Romy’s eyebrows rose up her forehead “Isn’t that a bold move for someone who broke out of prison?”

“How do you know about him?” Kono looked at her warily. This woman wasn’t Steve’s usual type, she was pale with dark copper hair, a smattering of freckles accross her nose and forehead, she had curves too. Definitely not the slim, tall athletic build, long haired woman like Catherine or any of his other dates before that. How did she and Steve even meet?

“Steve told me. He said with Wo Fat escaping, he had a target on his back and it would only be fair if I knew that.” Romy shrugged, before tugging slightly at the t-shirt she was wearing.

“Romy what happened this morning?”

“Ahem, Steve got up early and went for a run before we both went swimming for a bit. We had breakfast at around 8.30, we had a little argument if I should work from his place or go back to the hotel to work, but in the end I agreed with him to stay at his for the day.” Romy pushed her glasses up again and glanced at the team. Lou had joined them in the meantime again. These were Steve’s closest friends, this was not how she had imagined meeting them. “He left at about 10 to 9, I would say. I didn’t really looked at my watch. But when I was logging into my laptop it was just gone 9am. Does this help at all?”

“It does.” Chin smiled at her.

“Thanks, Romy, really. It helps us narrow down the timeline and where he could be.”

“I’m gonna head over to Adam now.” Kono pushed off the table “It was nice to meet you, Romy.”

“You too. Hopefully the next time involves some Mai Tai’s and no abduction.” Romy grinned.

“I will definitely take you upon that.” Kono pointed at her before leaving.

“Do you need me for anything further?” Romy looked at the guys expectantly “I don’t want to be in your way.”

“It’d be better if you stayed here.” Chin started.

“Just until, the situation is under control. If Wo Fat managed to snatch Steve, we don’t know what else he knows and plans.”

Romy nodded, the severity of the situation making it slowly to her brain. Steve, a Navy Seal, her Steve, had been abducted, just like that in broad daylight.

 


 

“This could end if you tell what I want to know.” Wo Fat watched him struggle for breath dispassionately.

“If you’re gonna kill me, just do it.” Steve panted and moved back slowly from his crouched position to sitting back up.

"Steve, if I wanted to kill you, I would have done it long ago.”

"Think about it." he leaned right into Steve’s face “Maybe I’ve gotten the wrong the person? Maybe we should have gotten your new plaything. I wonder how long she would last.”

Watching every of Wo Fat’s move  carefully Steve tried to not show any emotion, Wo Fat might work with old news, maybe he didnt’ know about Romy and just wanted to get a rise out of him, or he thought he was still with Catherine?

“Ah, Romy is an unusual name…she does remind me of her name sake, not as beautiful though.”  He had the audacity to smile at him.

Steve bit his tongue, ‘don’t bait him. You loose if you bait him’.  “Yeah, okay….You wanna know where your father is? Ask Doris! I know about her trips to Colorado to come see you. You should have asked her when you had the chance."

"I asked our mother. She said she didn't know," Wo Fat brushed his hands on his trousers.

Steve was confused, did he dream this again? “What did you say? You just said our mother. What do you mean by our mother?”

“She’s not your mother.” he pressed out. Wo Fat looked at him smugly, he enjoyed Steve trying to scramble the information together, he enjoyed how it enrages Steve when he calls Doris their mother.

“I ran the DNA, okay? I ran the DNA. She’s not your mother, alright!” Steve shouted.

A needle was pushed into the back of his neck “Ah!” Steve bent forward, shaking his head slowly “What are you giving me?”

His line of vision became blurry  again, Wo Fat swam before his eyes and his voice became static “Something to help you tell the truth.”

 


 

His hands and arms were buzzing, he looked down trying to find the source. Why was he getting shocked when interviewing a prisoner in Halawa?

The next thing Steve realises, he’s back in the room with Wo Fat. He’s wet and tied back onto the chair, suddenly his whole body spasms violently. Wo Fat let go of the electric cattle prod and Steve collapses in his chair. "My father. Where is he?"

Steve was drenched in more water, this time by the woman. He suppressed a growl, before answering Wo Fat: “I already told you, I don't know that."

Silence - Wo Fat and Steve regarded each other closely.

"Very well." Wo Fat gave a curt nod, and Steve was once more injected with a drug, the room blurred in a familiar way again. Steve tried to concentrate on Wo and slurred “I can’t tell you what … what I don’t know…. what I don’t know.” He was back in the other reality, the one where his father was alive.

“Why did you try to kill my father?” Steve shouted desperately “What did he ever do to you? What’d he ever do to you?”


 

Another electric shock, this time longer than the others. Steve slumped in the chair, if his arms hadn’t be tied to it, he would have slid out of it by now. It hurt, his whole body hurt, was vibrating from all the pain. He didn’t know how much more he could take.

"The Navy's taught you well."

Gasping Steve managed to lift his head “Im gonna kill you. and then I’m gonna find your father. I’m gonna kill him just for having you.”

Wo Fat stared at him, before saying “Then you’re going to have to kill your mother, too.”

“What are you talking about?!” Steve was pissed

“Your mother is more responsible for who I am today…”

“Stop! Talking! In! Circles!” Steve interrupted and was promptly rewarded with another electric shock.

Sighing Wo Fat sat on an overturned bucket and leaned forward “ You know nothing about the real Doris McGarrett? Do you?”

“I know…that she was assigned to kill your father, but instead your mother died in that op.” Steve was not lifting his head

“Yes. And she never forgave herself an innocent woman, who had just become a new mother. That pain and anguish caused her to do something quite remarkable. She took in that child and raised it as her own for several years. Until her superiors discovered this and forced her… they forced her too abandoned that child.”

Steve swallowed, everything started to make sense now “That was you.”

“You see, Doris McGarrett was my mother, too. If Doris knew where my father was,“ Wo Fat continued “she would’ve told me. But with your persistence, I can’t help but believe, that you know where your government is holding him.

“I don’t.”

“That maybe true. Nut I need to be convinced.”

Steve watched as Wo Fat got up slowly and started to leave the room.

“I’m telling you the truth. I don’t know where your father is.”

Wo Fat closed the door behind and Steve followed the woman with his eyes closely.

He needed to get out of here, before Wo Fat came back and before they continued to drug him, he could feel himself getting weaker. The next moment he saw his opening, he leaned back on his chair making it topple just in the moment that she tried to stuck him with the drugs again.

Steve held her down with the chair while trying to untie himself. The woman knew how to fight, the IV pole came in handy suddenly. A final blow and the black woman fell on top of him and Steve managed to strangle her with help of the chair.

It was time to plan, Wo Fat had locked the door, so no sneaking out. This needed to end here right now. How was he supposed to live his life if there was the constant threat.

Steve set up the room, as nothing had happened. Propping the doctor onto the buckets in front of his chair, a broomstick holding up her head. He almost tripped over the cattle prod. Finally this thing was going to be useful, he flooded the floor and took his seat.

Now he needed to wait.

 


 

“Hey guys, I think I might know where Wo Fat is.” Adam strode into the Five - 0 offices. “Where?” Kono enquired. The motion outside, made Romy step out of Steve’s office as well.

“Well, a few years ago, Anthony Shu used an umbrella company to buy a chain of dry cleaners from one of our subsidiaries. Well, they all closed down, except for one on Makaloa. It’s a 12,000 square foot facility.”

“That must be where he’s held.” Danny surmised “Let’s go guys!”

The team started to get their gear together, weapons, hand guns, vests were donned on. Before they headed out the door, Danny seemed to remember someone. Romy still stood in the door way to Steve’s office, she had heard everything but didn’t want to intervene.

“You are staying here.” Danny turned around to Romy. and waved a finger at her.

“Ok, but you’ll….”

“We’ll call you as soon as we have him. Don’t worry. He’ll be fine.”

Romy nodded quickly, trying to get rid of the fearful look on her face. Danny sighed, and quickly went back to her and gave her a big hug. “He’s fine. You know how stubborn he is.” Romy gave Danny a small smile “Thanks.”

Kono kissed Adam good bye and motioned over to Romy “Could you stay with her?”

“Sure.” he nodded “Who is she?”

“Steve’s girlfriend.”

“Didn’t know he had one.”

“Neither did we.” Kono shrugged her shoulder “This day is full of surprises.”

“Don’t worry, I’ve got her back.”

“Thanks.” Kono kissed him once before joining the team.

“Hey, I’m Romy.” the petite red head came over to him, and extended her hand.

“Adam.” He shook her hand and smiled.

“So, I am new at this whole law enforcement thing. This happens often?” she grinned.

“I’d love to say no, but these 5 have a tendency to get hurt.”

“I’ve gotten that one down already. I think  just before our 4th or 5th date, Steve had gotten shot in the leg.” Romy laughed.

Then it clicked with Adam “Oh, you mean the abduction? Nah, that’s a new one. I’d recommend you stock up your first aid kit though, hospitals isn’t  their thing either.”

“Preach it brother.” Romy mumbled.

Adam decided right then and there that he liked her, her dry wit was refreshing “While we’re waiting, fancy a coffee and a Malasada.”

“Oh yes, please. A man after my own heart.” Grabbing her cardigan and purse out of Steve’s office “Lead the way.”

 



The fight between Steve and Wo Fat  was brutal, now lying on their sides. Guns held up, it was just a question of who’ll pull the trigger first.

“You are not gonna kill me, are you brother?”

“You are not my brother.” Steve pulled the trigger and shot Wo Fat right between the eyes.

Steve closed his eyes and he was at his house sitting on the beach chairs, his father next to him.

“I missed this view.” as he took a drag of his beer.

“I’m glad you are home son.” His father had a big smile on his face, looking proud, despite the injuries on his face.

Steve returned the smile “Me too, dad.”

 


 

Two dead bodies, an upturned chair with leather straps, a soaked floor, large metal bucket thrown its side, an IV filled with who knows what left to drip on the floor and a discarded cattle prod and Steve huddled on the floor.

Danny surveyed the room quickly for any hidden hostiles, before making his way over this his partner.

“Steve? You alright? You alright?” Dany knelt down next to him.

“M’alright.”

Danny and Chin pulled Steve up. He looked around, searching for something , someone “Hey, where is my father?”

The team looked at each other, turning around to see what Steve could see.

Danny swallowed “Buddy, your dad died 4 years ago. “

Steve breathed, like he couldn’t believe it “Yes…yeah…” he started crying.

“Let’s go…Let’s get out of here.” Danny and Chin helped him up.

“Wait.” right over Wo Fat’s body.

It was over.

Together the Five - 0 team made it out of the facility.

Kono at the front, Chin and Danny supporting Steve, Lou bringing up the rear still on the look out for hostiles.

An EMT was waiting for them outside, Danny went into it with Steve.

“I’ll call Adam, he’ll and Romy  can meet us in the hospital.” Kono said before the doors closed and the car drove off.

Steve pulled the oxygen mask off “Romy?”

“Yeah, sorry your little secret is out of the bag. I needed to call her, she was the last person who’d seen you.”

“She ok?”

“A little freaked out, but otherwise she’s good. Adam is with her right now.”

“Wo Fat knew her name.” Steve coughed and the medic pulled the oxygen mask back over him.

 



Another IV was plugged into his arm, making Steve flinch, he was pinched with enough needles for a day. The ER was bustling and he was glad to be in a separate exam room.

Steve could hear Danny’s voice outside, discussing details with a doctor or nurse. The team was lurking outside the room, he could see their shadows through the window blinds.

The door opened and his team in addition to a doctor and two more nurses piled in the room. “Commander McGarrett, your injuries are not life threatening but with the amount of the unknown drug you’ve been injected, we’d like to keep you here for a night or two for observation. Keep you on an IV to flush all the toxins out.”

“Is it really necessary? I mean I feel fine.”

“You feel fine? Really? Fine? You got electrocuted and water boarded today. You’re staying in this hospital.” Danny exclaimed “What the hell is the matter with you.”

A suppressed chuckle came from the door, all of them turned around and saw Romy standing there with Adam right behind her.

“Romy.” Steve sighed.

Romy cocked her head to the side and regarded him closely, before stepping into the room and next to Steve. Her hand run through his hair softly, avoiding the bandage wound on his forehead, before pressing a kiss next to it.

“Commander, we would really not recommend you leaving the hospital.”

“You just said no life threatening injuries, you cleaned up my bullet wound and stitched up my forehead. Everything else needs to heal naturally. It’s not like you can prescribe me something against the after effect of water boarding.”

“Smart ass.” Romy mumbled in his hair. “What! I’m right.” Steve looked up at her.

Kono needed to grin at the exchange.

“You are unbelievable!” Danny exclaimed “Can you please listen to the doctor.”

Steve of course did not listen to doctor and signed his own release form, before Danny could stop him.

 


 

“You could have backed me up you know.” Danny murmured to Romy, as the two of them walked behind Steve, who was supported by Chin and Lou on either side.

“He would have gone home with or without us agreeing to it. Did you see his face, I couldn’t have argued with him if I tried.” Romy whispered back.

“You sure you guys are just fucking each other?”

“Shut your mouth, Williams.” Romy punched Danny’s shoulder.

“If you knew, what I know.” Danny singsonged and walked ahead into the house.

The guys had brought Steve upstairs for a shower, while Romy and Kono stayed downstairs and ordered some food and put some beer in the fridge.

“You haven’t been on a board yet?” Kono couldn’t believe it, Romy had been 3 months on the island already and Steve hadn’t taken her surfing?

“I know, right?” Romy took a sip of her beer “We wanted to go, but then the whole Columbia thing happened…”

“That sucks, but why don’t I take you out next weekend?” Kono suggested.

“Are you sure? I don’t want to put you out.”

“Nah it will be fun.”

“I am warning you though, I am a complete beginner. Not many waves in Germany or London. I don’t want you to get bored.”

“Don’t be silly. Best you learn it from the best and not from wannabes like the guys.” Kono winked.

“Ok. Next weekend it is.”

“We make a proper surfer and islander out of you.” The two woman clinked their beer bottles, as Danny appeared in the living room.

“Ahem Romy, I think we could use your help.”

Romy and Kono shared a look. “Sure, what’s going on?”

“We seem to have some difficulties with the shower.”

Romy followed Danny upstairs and into Steve’s ensuite. The guys stood in the bedroom unsure how to proceed, only Chin was with Steve in the bathroom, but the latter had clawed himself to the glass walls of the shower unable to move forward.

“Steve?” Romy inched towards him “Babe? What’s wrong?”

“I can’t…” Steve looked at her. “What can’t you? Getting in the shower? Danny and Chin can help…”

“No…No…” he shook his head violently “The water.” he whispered, his head hanging low.

Romy was confused for a second before it hit her, the water boarding, standing under the shower spray, the sound of the running water...

“Ok” she moved her hand in soothing motions over his back. “No shower then, Steve. How…” she tried to gather her thoughts. “How about a bath instead?”

Steve nodded slowly, bath sounded acceptable, controllable.

Romy turned the faucets of the bath on and let it fill the tub, once it was half full she said “Let me get Danny and Chin to help you in.” Steve had let go of shower stall in the meantime and looked up hastily “Don’t go.”

“I won’t.” Romy’s hand on his face, softly tracing his bruises “I just need some help getting you into the bathtub.”

Once Chin and Danny deposited Steve in the tub, Romy turned around to the men “Kono ordered some food and there is beer in the fridge downstairs. You guys must be starving.”

She went into the bathroom and sat on the ridge of the tub, she was wetting a face cloth when she saw Steve’s eyes. Disregarding it, she started to use her hands to softly clean his face and upper body of the grime, sweat and blood.

Nothing was said for a while, until Romy started to wash Steve’s hair.

“Wo Fat, he…” Steve cleared his throat “He knew your name.” Romy closed her eyes, but didn’t say anything, just continued to wash his hair before drawing his head to rest on her thigh. “He said that you remind him of your namesake. Who’s your namesake?”

A slight laugh escaped her and Steve turned his head towards her “I think he meant Romy Schneider, she was an actress in the 60s and 70s.”

“Oh.”

“She was my dad’s first crush and he said with a last name like ours, I cannot not be named after an actress.”

Steve scrunched his face, he didn’t understand.

“Erhardt, is the same last name as a famous German actor Heinz Erhardt, no relation whatsoever, but my dad found it funny to give me a ‘showbizz’ name.”

“German humour is weird.” Steve mumbled.

“You find me funny.” Romy countered softly.

“Are they any english movies with your namesakes in it?”

“From Romy Schneider definitely. I don’t think there are any from Heinz Erhardt.” “Would you watch one with me?” His voice was still soft and raw.

“Sure.” Romy kissed the top of his head “You ready to get out before you prune?”

Romy stepped out of the bathroom to get Danny and didn’t need to look far. Danny sat on the floor with back pressed against the wall. His eyes never leaving the bathroom door. “He ready to get out?” Romy nodded, their hands found each other when they passed and squeezed quickly.

Spending the evening on his lanai with good food, beer and his friends was the perfect antidote for the horrible day he had. Romy was cuddled in his side, her hand resting on his leg, squeezing it once in a while. If it wasn’t for the galleon of water that his girl and Danny made him drink to flush out the drug, Steve could almost forget what had happened today.

 

__________________________________________________________________

 

Steve eyes popped open, he was sitting up and breathing hard. Romy sitting up next to him, hand on his neck massaging softly.

He turned over to her “Hey..when did you come  in from London? Have you seen my dad? Where’s…where’s my father?”

“Steve. It was just a dream. Do you remember what happened?” The tears that had threatened to come the whole day, finally came.

Romy cradled him to her, softly combing through his hair “It’s gonna be ok…shh…just let it out…” Steve couldn’t stop shaking either, he must still have some of the drugs in him.

Steve had calmed down slightly before he started talking “He wanted to know where his father is. That’s why he had me. He thought I knew where his dad is.”

He let out a mix between a sob and a laugh “I mean if someone knows where his father is then it would be Doris. I can’t believe it, she raised him and then abandoned him. Doris McGarrett abandoning kids since 1970” Slowly but surely Steve divulged his day, how he dreamed his dad was still alive and that Danny loved Hawaii when he was in this drug induced haze.

At this Romy interrupted giggling softly “That didn’t tip you off something wasn’t right? Danny Williams loving Hawaii?” Even Steve needed to chuckle now, slowly he moved up on the bed and readjusted their position so they were facing each other, his fingers intertwining with hers before he continued, his conversation with Wo Fat, Doris killing his mother, taking him in, before abandoning him.

“I can’t believe how many secrets she kept. How all of them come back to haunt us.”

“Secrets will never stay secrets forever.” Her thumb caressing his cheek softly.

Steve swallowed as he watched her closely, leaning into her hand “Speaking from experience, gorgeous?”

Romy chuckled “Yeah.”

Steve put his arm around her shoulder and pulled her head onto his chest. “You’ll tell me tomorrow?” His lips moved against her forehead.

“Sure.”

Tightening his arms around her warm body, Steve couldn’t suppress a smile before succumbing back to sleep.

Chapter 4: Here comes the sun

Summary:

Aunt Deb’s visit comes with a lot more than hugs this time, a wedding ... a suspicious parcel ... a fiancé...a messed up SUV and some realisations for Steve

Notes:

Hello lovelies,

Back with another chapter for Steve and Romy...wedding bells are ringing this time around.

Can’t wait to hear your feedback, morse code, carrier pigeon
Comments or kudos are all gladly received.

Enjoy xx

Chapter Text

"Aloha, Stevie!", his Aunt Deb cried from the gangway. Only she still called him Stevie and he couldn’t help mirroring her smile. Once she was close enough Deb pulled Steve in a big hug.

Releasing him she let her eyes rove over his face, small wounds were littering the right side of his face. Healing, but still there. With a soft smile she said “Honey, before you ask, I don't know where your mother is. Your sister said that you called. She doesn't know where Doris is either."

Steve shrugged, well wouldn’t that have been a change of pace if Doris would have told her kids anything. Instead he asked “Tell me about your trip, was it good?"

"It was amazing. I was a little worried because we booked it after my last round of chemo and I didn't know if it'd be up to the trip but, sweetheart, that sea air is just what I needed."

"Treatments were rough, huh?"

"Kiddo, rough doesn't begin to describe it but the doc says the tumor in my brain has shrunk half its size. So I guess the poison works."

“Well, you look great."

Deb squeezes his arm affectionately "A little makeup and a good wig hides a multitude of sins."

"Listen, I'm so glad you decided to fight back, Deb."

"Well you can thank Leonard for that. He's the one who talked me into getting into the ring. Where is he by the way?" Deb turned around to look for her man and completely missed Steve’s face darkening.

She waved to a small man in a Hawaiian shirt talking intently with another passenger.

Steve's scowl deepens  "I thought, you said your boyfriend was a shop teacher? Why's he handing out legal advice?"

"Well he just likes to be helpful, that's all," Aunt Deb said airily and patting his forearm condescendingly.

“Sweetheart.” She exclaimed lovingly and kissed his cheek, once Leonard stood next to her.

"Steve, this is Leonard Cassano."

Steve shook his hand, but the scowl did not dissolve “Sorry, yes, it is very nice to meet you.”

Walking through the terminal, Steve trailed behind them trying to make sense of Leonard Cassano, as Leonard whispered very loud "Honey, we've been on land for five minutes when are you gonna give him the news?"

"What news?" he asked.

The pair in front of him shared a look and turned around.

He did not like this - he did not like this at all!

"Well, short version. Leonard popped the question and I said yes.“

"You're engaged?" Steve smiled, well tried to, the smile was more mangled than anything else, he wasn’t fooling no one with this.

"You guys have only been dating for a couple of months. What's the rush?" He tried to cover up his reaction.

"Oh, my pragmatic nephew. Never one for romance or the grand gesture…" Deb indulged "Honey you know that country western song, ‘Live Like You Were Dying’?" "Yeah?"

"Well, it makes more sense when you're actually dying," she said. "I've got my tumor. Leonard is stage four leukemia. We've got no time to waste."

"And I knew Deb was the one. The moment I saw her at that cancer support group." Leonard threw in.

"Okay, so you're gonna have a nice long engagement though, right? Make some plans…" Steve tried to rationalise.

"Plans are made. We're tying the knot tomorrow at 6 pm," Aunt Deb announced with finality.

"Whoa, whoa, now wait a second. You can't… because Mary will be devastated…" he knew he was grasping at straws, but 24 hours were really not long enough to get all the intel he needed to look into this Leonard character.

"Your sister gave us her blessing already. And besides she can't come cause little Joanie has an ear infection."

There he had it, sold out by his little sister. The smile really hurt his face this time around.

His phone started ringing - thank god saved by the bell.

 


 

“Hey Steve.” Romy walked down the corridor in the hotel, phone sandwiched between her shoulder and ear, while juggling a  massive amount of files.

“Hey, can you do me a favour.”

She could hear he was calling her from the car. “Sure.” Romy had reached her office and dumped all files on her desk.

“I just found out the my aunt and her fiancée” Romy held in a chuckle, his disdain so evident in his voice “are actually staying and having the wedding at your hotel.”

“Really?” Romy hadn’t heard about it yet internally, she quickly opened their events diary to check the booking.

“Yes! Now is there any chance for you to stall that?”

“Come again?”

“Could you... I don’t know fake a burst pipe or something so the wedding can’t take place, or maybe loose the booking? I mean lost bookings must happen a lot.”

“Steve are you really asking me to cancel the wedding of your sick aunt, because you don’t like her fiancée?” Romy was speechless.

“He’s shady, Romy! I’m telling you something doesn’t add up. He’s tipping like a millionaire and his hands are way too soft.”

“He’s tipping too much and his hands are soft? Are those really the reasons your asking me to loose business and break your aunts heart?” Romy let her head fall into her hand.

“Please Romy, move it by a day or two. I need to prove to my aunt that he’s not who he says he his.”

“Steve, no!”

“What, don’t you think she should be with someone who deserves her?”

Romy took a breath “Don’t you think it’s up to your aunt decide who she deserves?”

“I can’t talk to you when you’re like this.” Steve was exasperated, why was no one taking him seriously.

Danny threw him a side eye.

“When I’m like what?” Came through the speaker in the car “Reasonable?”

Danny had been quiet up to know, but he now he couldn’t hold him the chuckle “he’s getting aneurysm face, Romy.”

“I’m not having aneurysm face. I just don’t like when it someone tries to hurt my family.”

“Steve have you tried to talk to your aunt?”

The silence spoke volumes.

“Why don’t you talk to her?”

“Are you being reasonable again?”

“Someone has to.”

Steve smiled at her quip back “Ok, I talk to her.”

 


 

“It’s nice you know.”

“What’s nice?” Steve and Danny made their way the Gable house.

“Someone else telling you to be reasonable once in a while.”

 



The conversation with Aunt Deb was still weighing on his mind. She knew about Leonard and still loved him, despite his past mistakes, she loved him, he was enough for her.

His thoughts travelled to Catherine, he hadn’t been enough for her. It hurt, but it wasn’t the ‘gut punching taking your breath away’ type anymore. It had dulled down over the last few months to a ‘pressing down on an old bruise to see if it still hurts’ kinda pain.

She was happy in Afghanistan, she seemed fulfilled teaching at that school, protecting the kids.

It was never a question that he’d join her. She never asked and he never considered.

Romy, he never expected Romy in his life. She was different, so different to any other woman he’s ever been with. She wasn’t from the military, Hawaii or even the US. She was unapologetically honest and at the same time one of the most comforting people he’s ever been around.

He shook his head, this wasn’t getting him anywhere.

 



Danny and Steve were sitting in his office, contemplating the parcel that Leonard literally dropped into their lap, when a soft knock at the glass door made them look up.

“Hey.” Romy stepped into the office, she was still wearing wide navy blue trousers and a crisp white shirt tucked into it, indicating she had come straight from work.

“Hey.” Steve motioned her inside.

Leaning against one of his chairs she said “I heard I no longer need to invent a burst pipe at the hotel to postpone your aunts wedding?”

“Huh?” Steve was obviously still wrapped up in that box before him “yeah, all good on that. How do you know?”

“The wedding planner told me, you’re going to be part of the wedding.”

“Part of the Wedding? As what ring bearer or flower girl?” Danny grinned.

“I’m walking her down the aisle if you must know.”

Steve came around his desk and hit Danny on the back of his head, before kissing Romy on the cheek.

“What’s this?” She pointed to the parcel on Steve’s desk.

“This my dear, is the reason Steven here didn’t want this wedding to happen.” Danny leaned forward on his elbows, still looking warily at the brown box.

“So you were right?” Romy looked up at Steve.

Steve sighed and grabbed the box “It’s....I explain it at home, ok? Come on Danno, time to call it a day.”

The three left the palace and in the car back to Steve’s place, he laid the whole story out to Romy.

Laying in bed later that night, Steve traced patterns on Romy’s bare back, while her hand slipped up and down his side.

“I’m proud of you.” She rested her chin on his chest and looked into his eyes.

“For what, the incredible orgasm I just gave you?” Steve grinned and moved one of his hands into Romy’s hair.

“Yeah that too, but mainly that you’re going to be there for you Aunt tomorrow.”

“She’s o’hana.” Steve shrugged.

Romy smiled and started to kiss down his chest before sliding further down underneath the sheet.

“What are you doing?”

“I thought you deserve a reward.” She grinned and disappeared back underneath the sheet, kissing further down, raking her fingernails up and down inside of his tights. Steve groaned and his hands gripped her hair a bit tighter once she reached her final destination.

 


 

Waiting for Grover to pick them up, Steve and Danny continue their vigil over the parcel, this time in Steve’s living room.

"So what are you gonna do with that thing?" Danny leaned over, he wanted to know what’s in it.

Steve breathed in heavily, "You know what? I think I'm gonna put it in a locker for a couple of months and accidentally forget about it and then I'm gonna give it to the New York D.A."

“Ah. That's very nice, I think. You know, Leonard never has to deal with it."

"You know what, man? You and Romy were right. My Aunt deserves to be happy.” The two sat in silence for a moment.

The front door opened and Lou dressed in his tuxedo stood in the door way "Come on, now. We gonna do this thing or what?" He did a little shimmy. "I got on my best monkey suit, man. I'm ready to party, baby!"

 


 

Romy could hear the chatter of guests arriving outside in the garden, starting to take their seats.

Leonard was greeting all of them and she could spy the Five - 0 team arriving, dressed to the nines.

She turned around, making sure that the trays were set up to distribute the champagne as soon as the ceremony ended.

Hearing the sounds of the song Deb had chosen to walk down the aisle, Romy made her way to the french doors that opened to the garden. She inhaled, Steve looked delicious enough to eat in his suit. She couldn’t wait to relieve him of his bow tie later on. Readying her phone, she started to record how Deb and Steve made it down the aisle.

Sitting down on his chair, Danny elbowed him and Steve looked over “what?” He whispered. His partner pointed discreetly to the open doors behind the altar.

Romy looked beautiful as always, she peered over to him once she noticed his eyes on him. He threw her a questioning glance to her phone in her hands. Romy smiled and mouthed “For Mary.”

“Thank you!” He mouthed back and quickly touched his heart. Romy winked and moved her attention back onto the ceremony.

 

“Go. Go. Go” Romy motioned the servers to move out with the trays of champagne.

“Ah there she is!” Leonard exclaimed.

Romy shook his hand and Deb’s hand “I just wanted  to congratulate you both on the behalf of the Royal Hawaiian to your wedding. The ceremony was absolutely marvellous.”

“We have to thank you!” Leonard smiled and Romy discreetly waved to one of the servers for some champagne for the bride and groom.

Champagne glass in hand, Deb grasped Romy’s hand. “We still can’t believe it how you managed to organise this so quickly, after the pipe burst in our original room.”

“We are truly sorry for that. I’m just glad you were happy with the alternative location.”

“You know” Deb leaned in, as if she was sharing a secret “as a little girl, I always dreamed about getting married in the garden of the Royal Hawaiian. I just never thought I could afford it.”

“I’m glad we could make this dream come true for you and kinda thankful for the burst pipe.” Romy and Deb giggled.

 


 

Romy was watching the band set up outside and keeping an eye on the Hors d’oeuvre trays that were going out. When a voice next to her appeared “You want to explain to me what you’re doing here on a Saturday, running a wedding, when you should be off?” Her colleague James bumped her shoulder.

“Helping out the banqueting team.” Romy bumped right back into him “You said yourself it needed some overhauling, so I thought I check it out.”

“Trying to get me fired, Erhardt?” He grinned down at her.

“Fresh set off eyes and all that.”

“And it has nothing to do with the tall handsome guy standing overthere giving me a death glare.” James nodded over to Steve who tried very hard not to look over.

“Absolutely nothing.”

“If I just hadn’t seen him leaving your room in the morning or you hopping out of his car dashing in to get changed.”

“James.” Romy exclaimed.

“What? It’s not like you trying to keep it a secret, and who would blame you? Even I can admit that he’s hot.”

“James!” But her colleague just laughed.

“Well I’m gonna go to enjoy my Saturday, before I’m getting beat up.” He squeezed her arm one more time and threw a grin to Steve.

 


 

Later in the evening, the band was playing and the guests dancing. Romy turned to leave, but was stopped by Leonard.

“Romy you can’t leave. We haven’t danced yet.” He held out his hand.

“I shouldn’t.” Romy shook her head.

“Why not?”

“I work here.”

“Ah, that doesn’t matter. Come on don’t leave a dying man hanging.”

Romy chuckled “Well if you put it like that.” She joined her hand with Leonard’s and the groom started to spin her around to an old Bob Dylan song.

Deb was dancing with Steve,  but both of them were watching Leonard and Romy.

“You know sweetheart, the wedding was almost cancelled.”

“What? Why? I hope not because of me?”

Deb laughed “No, not because of you. There was a burst pipe in the hotel, flooding the initial room we had booked.”

Steve’s eyebrows shot up, what the heck, he asked Romy to invent a burst pipe and then it really happened?

“Wow what happened.”

“Well the woman my darling Leonard is dancing with stepped in and organised the ceremony here. I don’t think it’s her job to deal with weddings, but she made it happen as a compensation for our troubles.”

“That is incredibly nice of her.” Steve smiled warmly, of course Romy would step in.

“Yeah. You know I think she’s single.”

Steve groaned “Aunt Deb.”

“What? I’m not saying marrying her. I’m saying ask her for a drink.”

Steve pulled his aunt a little bit closer, weighing up if he should tell her that he done more than asking Romy out for a drink already.

“I can’t do that.”

“Why the heck not?”

“Because I already did, 3 month ago.”

“You’ve been dating her for 3 months and haven’t said anything, she didn’t say anything?” Deb hit him on his bicep.

Steve laughed “It’s nothing serious, we are having fun and she’s leaving in 9 months again.”

“Oh Steven, 9 months can mean a lot. Just look at me and Leonard, he doesn’t have much longer, but we are still here giving it our all.”

“Yeah but it’s different....Catherine...”

“She hurt you, deeply.” Steve nodded. “But that doesn’t mean you need to give up on it.”

“I’m happy, Aunt Deb. What Romy and I have is maybe not the same as you and Leonard or me and Catherine but it makes me happy, cause it’s easy and not too serious.”

“As long as you are happy, sweetheart.”

Steve grinned as he spun her around.

“Last question.”

“Sure.”

“Why are you still dancing with me and not with her? Leonard has just released her and I fancy a dance with my husband.”

Steve grinned and lead her over to Leonard,  and then making a bee line for Romy.

She was talking to one of the waitresses, giving instructions. Steve waited until she was finished, before approaching her.

“Dance with me.”

“Steve...”

“Orders from the bride.”

Romy pulled a face and contemplated quickly. “Are you sure? Dancing at your aunts wedding is kinda not what we...”

“I know but neither is taking care of me and my friends after I got tortured.”

“Steve...”

“Let’s just Dance.” Steve held his hand out to her.

Romy slipped her hand into his and he pulled her close as the two started to sway.

“We are breaking all of our own rules.” Romy sighed.

“Rules are there to be broken.” He whispered in her hair.

‘not just rules....’ Romy thought

The two of them picked up their swaying with the rhythm of the next song

“So a burst pipe?” Steve looked down at her.

“You wanted one.” Romy quipped.

Laughing he said “Not the outcome I had in mind at that point.”

“The outcome she deserved though.”

“That’s true. How did you know?”

Romy shrugged her shoulders “It wasn’t that hard, they enquired first about the garden, but it was already booked so they decided on a room inside.”

“And you can just do that?”

“Well you have your “all means necessary” and I’ve got mine.” She winked at him “I spoke to the other couple and they were happy to move to tomorrow, for some compensation and a little sob story about star crossed lovers with cancer.”

“You’re shameless Romy Erhardt.”

Romy laughed out loud and shrugged her shoulders.

The song changed again and Romy tried to leave his embrace.

“Where do you think you’re going?”

“Steve...I shouldn’t...this is a family event.”

“Please, one more dance.” He pulled her close “Otherwise I’ll send the bride after you.”

“You wouldn’t!”

“Try me.” He smirked at her.

“Ok, one more dance.” Romy sighed in defeat. Steve pulled her in close, before spinning her out again to the tune of the next song.

Romy’s hair flew around her face, she pushed it back with a loud laugh, before she twirled back in his arms again. Steve couldn’t take his eyes of her, she’s mesmerising. ‘The Beatles are right.’ He thought, while humming along to the song they were dancing too;

Here comes the sun indeed!

Chapter 5: A girl’s gotta eat

Summary:

A gorgeous dress, a heist, invaluable art and Steve in Commander mode, it’s going to be a day for Steve and Romy

Notes:

Hello lovelies,

Another glimpse into the world of Romy & Steve.

Can’t wait to hear your feedback via smoke signals, carrier pigeon, Comments or kudos are all gladly received.

Enjoy xx

Chapter Text

Steve was due to drop her off at work, when the call came through from Duke.

A fight at Kamekona’s.

Putting the sirens on Steve pressed down on the gas pedal “you don’t mind the little detour, do you?”

Romy shook her head while savouring her to-go coffee “Not at all.”

“Stay in the car until we know what’s going on.” Steve squeezed her knee while turning his car onto the grass in front of the food truck.

The scene before them made Romy spray her coffee all over her blouse.

Two of his employees held Kamekona back, while he attempted to storm on Flippa who hid in the truck, defending himself with a... was that a frying pan?!

Steve jumped out of the car, storming towards them, hand on his weapon “Hey, hey, hey! What’s going on here?”

Romy followed swiftly behind, still dabbing at her now ruined blouse with a tissue.

“Thank god you are here. You got to talk some sense into my cousin.” Flippa bend out of the truck.

Around them the customers stared and started taking videos of the whole thing. ‘Who wants to eat shrimp that early in the morning.’ Romy thought, she slipped her finger into Steve’s back pocket and gave him a pinch. He turned to her and smirked, for a second forgetting the two clowns in front of him for a second.  Romy took a minute to  admire his sexy bum and how great it looked in his grey trousers, before tuning back into the conversation and continuing to rescue her blouse, apparently Flippa had signed them up to a Shrimpapalooza and Kamekona was not happy about it, his opponent being Sam Choy.

“The Sam Choy, celebrity chef?”

“And Godfather of Hawaiian cuisine?” Wow that sucked for Kamekona, Choy was a master.

Steve tried to calm him down, but incredibly unsuccessful, with Kamekona staking everything on his claim ‘The best shrimps on the island.’ and threatening Flippa with murder.

“Guys not to interrupt.” Romy gave up her blouse as a lost cause “I think i might be able to help.”

“You, German Rose?” Kamekona was sceptical.

“Kamekona, darling. You do know what I do for a living, right?”

The big guy nodded.

“And have I ever let you astray with business advise?”

“Never...but...”

“Well, can you refrain from killing Flippa while I make a call?” Romy pulled out her phone from her skirt pocket.

“Yeah.” Kamekona nodded dejectedly,  before adding “can I mess him up just a little bit?”

“No!” Steve and Flippa said at the same time, while Romy shrugged her shoulders, “Whatever.”

“Those are two different answers.”

“Don’t!” Steve put his hands on his friends shoulders “Do not hurt Flippa”

Romy had stepped away two paces to make her phone call, Steve moved over to her his hand slinging around her waist, pulling her towards him.

“Thank you, chef! Really, thank you!” She hung up.

“Who did you call?”

“Morimoto.”

“You called Chef Morimoto?”

“What?” Romy shrugged her shoulders, like it’s nothing special to call up one of the most well known chefs of Hawaii.

“Even after we got kicked out the last time we went there to eat?”

“That wasn’t him, that was the hotel general manager and he was highly embarrassed by it.”

“Well, you shouldn’t have tried to talk him into moving to your hotels.”

“I didn’t, I just said we had an open spot and he seemed inclined.” Romy grinned innocently.

“Anyway he’s happy to help out a fellow chef if we can get him over right now.”

Cajoling Flippa and Kamekona into Steve’s car without them trying to hurt each, was easier said then done.

“This right there is a reason not to have kids.” Romy grouched.

“Gorgeous, those two are worse than kids.” Steve smiled.

“You are on your own after you dropped me off at the hotel, I’m still barred from setting a foot on that property.”

“You need to start playing nice with this guy.”

“Says who?” Romy challenged.

“It’s a small island, Romy.”

“I know... I know.”

“Pick you up, tonight?” Steve leaned over the console to kiss her.

“Yes, please.” Romy deepened the kiss for a second before jumping out of the car. Someone already waiting for her in the entryway, talking a mile a minute while showing her some papers.

Steve pulled out of the driveway and used the rear view mirror to fix the two guys with a stare “Not a word.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

This was not how Romy envisioned her day. One of the front office managers had met her at the entrance completely frantic, showing her guest data from last night.

It looked like the big bosses had checked in, without it raising any alarm clocks with the night manager until they turned up for breakfast this morning, where James spotted them on the terrace.

Her whole morning was being swallowed up by meetings, before Mr. Khan dropped the bombshell, that he’d expected her to attend an art meeting this evening with them together.

Why? Don’t ask her, she had absolutely no idea about art at all. But the boss was insistent, so she raced out of the hotel trying to find an evening gown within 2 hours, men clearly had no freaking clue how long it took for a woman to get ready for such an event.

She decided in the end on a one shoulder gown in dark purple, that wouldn’t clash with her deep copper hair. Luckily the hotel had hair stylists and make up artists on site who helped her make her usual mascara and a bright lipstick into something more smokey eyed than usual.

Sliding the emerald hair clip into her deep parting to keep her curls from tumbling over her face, she grabbed her purse and shot Steve a quick text:

‘Raincheck for tonight. The brass came from England today and have me attending a shinding. Might swing by after...think you appreciate the get up 😉😘

 

——xx——xx——

 

“You all right there?” Lou looked over after Steve sighed.

“My evening just got cancelled.”

“Oh you and Miss Romy had plans.” The older man wiggled his eyebrows suggestively.

“Yeah but not anymore, her bosses have come over from England.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

“Chin do you have any sign of the suspect?”

“Negative.” Chin turned around to give the others in the van a better view. “But I’ve got eyes on someone.”

He lifted his eyes slowly up a woman in a dark purple dress, before zeroing on her face.

“Steve did you know...” Lou looked threw a side glance at the commander.

“No.” He bit out.

Romy looked beautiful, her red hair was hanging down loose with its natural wave,only a big clip with green and purple stones held it back on one site.

She’d forgone her glasses and her eyes wore heavier make up than usual.

Shock registered on her face when she noticed Chin and Kono staring, quickly excusing herself from the couple she was standing with.

“Hello.” She smiled at both of them and Steve let out a breath that she wasn’t using their names.

“What brings you here?” Kono leaned close.

“I could ask you the same thing, Miss....”

“Miss Lin and this is my boss Mr Park.”

Romy shook both their hands before moving slightly to the side to let a waiter through.

“My Bosses decided to visit and to pick up some art. Is there a particular piece that attracted your attention?”

In the surveillance van all of them looked at Steve. “You trained her well.” Lou commented. “No training required.” Steve sounded like a proud soccer mom.

Before Kono or Chin could answer a voice appeared next to them.

“Oh my, my lady how can we have not yet been introduced.” Gerard grabbed Romy’s hand pressed a kiss on it “My name is Gerard Hirsch, enchante.”

“Man if you grind your teeth any harder you will only have dust left.” Lou teased him and Nicole threw a grin over her shoulder.

“Down boy.” Kono hissed through her teeth and Gerard looked up to her still half bend over Romy’s hand “don’t worry there is enough for both of you to go around.”

“Ew” Romy tried to retract her hand out of his grasp while throwing Kono a disgusted look.

“You really have it in you, Hirsch.” Chin laughed “hitting on McGarrett’s girl like that.”

“Oh my god! I’m so sorry” The Art Dealer dropped her hand as if it burned him.

“Well, it was interesting meeting you all.” Romy threw a side eye at Hirsch. “I hope you’ll be able to secure your desired piece.” With that Romy excused herself and rejoined her boss.

She tried to convince them to leave early, but Mr Khan was adamant to stay until the auction.

Romy resigned herself to sipping champagne and hoping she’d see Steve in action. If anyone would ever ask her she’d deny it till her last breath, but Steve in all his gear really got her going. If it turned her on when he came to see her after a case, she’d only imagine what it do to her when he was all commander in front of her.

She sighed and shook her head slightly, no need to get all worked up, this dress was not designed for a quick bound of stress relief.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Steve almost stormed that freaking house, they had lost all communication with Chin and Kono, no cell service, and that damned house just turned into a fucking fort. He was having a great, great evening.

He was not supposed to be here and Romy was not supposed to be inside that fucking villa with criminals and guns. They were supposed to have dinner on the lanai, a beer or two, and maybe a swim, naked of course. But not this, definitely no this!

He started pacing, the rest of them watching him carefully, he looked like a pressure cooker about to explode.

"SWAT's established a perimeter. Every entry point in the house is locked down,"

Grover briefed Steve while walking the perimeter outside.

"There's got to be a way to breach."

"Not without calling attention to yourself, and that endangers the hostages” Lou’s face showed his frustration “It’s not really something we want to risk with our guys in there.”

Steve took a deep breath, Lou was right. Chin and Kono were professionals and Romy, Romy wasn’t stupid. He needed to trust that she wouldn’t endanger herself unnecessarily.

Nicole and Jerry came out of the truck. Jerry taking his ‘don’t leave her alone’ directive incredible serious.

"You guys see what's happening here, right?" Nicole asked "Janssen's trading up. The van Gogh was just his way in the door so he could boost Emery's collection."

"Yeah and judging from the gunfire, he's got at least four or five accomplices with him armed with automatic weapons," Steve finished for her, enough people who could and would put bullets through police officers and Romy, should it come to a shoot out or hostage negotiations.

"I don't get it," Grover sighed. "We had eyes on the place. Every guest was checked going in. How did he get a bunch of guys in there with guns?"

"But a better question is: How is he planning on getting out?"  All eyes moved to Jerry "After that alarm went off, this place became as impenetrable as the Dreadfort."

Nicole managed to get them the blueprints off the house through her contacts and Jerry was off establishing the communications again.

Steve rubbed his his hands over his face, while Lou laid out why he wouldn’t breach even if he could.

In his head Steve agreed, but his heart...he didn’t want to imagine what they would do to Romy, should these guys find out what she meant to him. He didn’t know what he’d do either, should he ever see a gun to her head.

Her voice still ringing in his head when she finally told him what she had shared with Kono after Christmas ‘I felt so helpless. I never want to feel like that again.’

“You alright, man?” Lou had squeezed his shoulder. Shaking his head trying to loose the memory, Steve nodded “Yeah, yeah I’m good. I here.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

Being shoved inside another room, Romy tried to keep her head down. Huddling next to her bosses she controlled her breathing. They smiled at each other,  making sure they were all ok. “By the way, I think I’m taking a personal day tomorrow.” Romy mumbled.

“Me too, Romy,  me too.” Mr Khan answered.

She could feel Chin’s eyes linger on her for a second. Looking up she realised he was still wearing the glasses, Romy had a feeling they were communicating with Steve.

Smiling at Chin she nodded and winked at him. In her gut she could feel Steve letting out a sigh of relief.

Romy gasped loudly when they discovered that Chin and Kono were cops. The glasses and ear pieces destroyed, their only way communication gone.

Daring another glance at Kono, she mouthed ‘Are you ok?’

Her friend nodded softly and Romy gave her a quick thumbs up. She didn’t dare to scoot closer or talk to them, these machine guns were scaring the shit out of her.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Standing in front of the tunnels, Steve started to doubt their plan. “Oh I know that look.” Lou lowered his weapon “All right what’s going on?”

Laying it all out it made even less sense that he would come out those tunnels.

“Guys!” Jerry sounded baffled over the comms “you better get back here. Janssen is  not coming out that tunnel, he’s coming out the front door.”

Steve and Lou shared a look before rounding up S.W.A.T and high tailing it back to the house, it really wasn’t checkers, this was a full blown chess game.

The 5 minute drive felt more like 30 minutes with all the thousand scenarios, that kept running through Steve’s head.

He needed to get them all out of there.

They established themselves back in front of the house and suddenly the gates opened and hostages started to run out.

He knew he should keep an eye out for the robbers, but his eyes were frantically drawing out red hair and purple dresses.

He found her - tumbling almost into his arms when she slipped in her haste. Steve framed her face quickly staring into her eyes cataloguing everything. Romy gave him a short nod and he allowed himself an upward quirk of his lips.

Then he saw them... getting into the ambulance!

“Freeze! Drop your weapons!” Steve pulled his gun and shoved Romy behind him almost into Lou’s arms before shooting.

The robbers got into the ambulance car and sped off.

“Cover me Steve!” From Lou and Steve found a better angle continue to shoot at the ambulance car.

A huge crash overpowered all the noise of the shoot out - Jerry had driven the surveillance van right into the ambulance.

He could see it in Lou’s face, how much pleasure he was taking in arresting Janssen.

Steve headed back to the rest of the team and checked in with Chin and Kono both were ok.  Then a purple dress caught his eye, Romy sitting in the back of an ambulance

A paramedic was dabbing her left eye and her ankle was already wrapped up.

“I’m fine really!” Romy tried to swat the overzealous  medic off. “Just some scratches, I had worse.”

“Let the man do his job.” He leaned on the open door and watched as the guy dabbed some ointment on scratches along her arm and face.

“When did that happen?” He remembered clearly her face was injury free earlier on.

“Someone tried to be all heroic and shoved me down before the shooting started.” Romy quipped.

“Oh man, gorgeous! I’m so sorry.”

“Don’t be silly,  Better than getting shot. Now help me up, before this one” she nodded her head at the paramedic “tries to admit me.”

“You really should, Ma’am. You could have a concussion.”

Romy held out her hand impatiently to Steve.  “Maybe you should. A concussion could be serious.”

“Really?! From the man who wouldn’t stay overnight in the hospital after he got tortured.” Romy pulled herself up on Steve’s hands before steadying herself on his shoulders.

“That’s different.”

Romy didn’t even respond verbally but just threw him a look.

“Ok...ok.” He relented “but I won’t let you out of my sight for a while.”

“At least 24hrs” the Paramedic chimed in.

“Honestly” Romy rounded to him and waved her finger threateningly. The young guy lifted his hands in surrender and muttered “she all yours, bruh.”

“Come on let’s get you home, showered and then I’m cooking you some dinner.”

“Yes! I’m starving, the food in there was rubbish.”

Steve laughed out loud only Romy could think of complaining about the food after being held hostage. He drew her in closer and pressed a kiss on her temple.

After settling  her into the passenger seat of his car he turned to face her “You know i don’t think I have seen you dressed up like this.”

“That bad?” Romy grinned.

“No, not bad at all just different - sexy as hell though.”

“Well you should see what’s underneath.”

“You’re killing me!” Steve groaned while turning the car into his road.

“I’m killing you? What about all of this?” Romy gestured over his body.

Steve grabbed her hand and pressed a kiss to the back of it “this is just me.”

“Oh no, this is you in Commander mode.” Romy smiled and bit her lip.

“And?” Steve crinkled his forehead while pulling into his drive way. Romy kept looking at him, while he put his car into park.

“Don’t tell me you find this sexy.”

“You have no idea Commander McGarrett.” Romy let a finger wander down his side.

 

——xx——xx——

 

He woke up the next morning with Romy pressed to his front and peppered soft kisses down her neck and each vertebra until he reached the seam of her shirt. Steve relished the feel of her small and curvy body in his arms, her soft freckled skin underneath his fingers and lips.

She was in his arms, safe and sound, right where she belonged.

They had a slow morning until he needed to see Nicole off at the airport.  He settled  Romy on the lanai with an ice pack, extracted a promise that she wouldn’t move until he came back.

He didn’t know how to feel as he came back, he stepped out on the lanai “hey gorgeous.”

“Thank god you are back! I’ve been needing to pee for an hour now.” Romy was making grabby motions with her hands.

Steve chuckled, as he lifted her off the patio swing “Sorry, got side tracked by a underhanded English art hunter.”

“Bathroom first, then you tell me all about it.”

They had the same argument as the night before, and Steve lost again, leaving her alone to use the bathroom.

“What when you fall?”

“Falling from what, Steve? The toilet?”

Sighing Steve closed the bathroom door behind him.

“I promise you’re allowed to join me later. Someone needs to make sure I don’t slip in the shower.” Romy’s voice was slightly subdued by the closed door.

Steve grinned “that’s a deal.”

Settling back outside in the swing, a coffee in their hands and Romy’s foot cushioned on Steve’s leg, he told her how Nicole had played them in the end. Apparently all the paintings they confiscated from Janssen had been forgeries.

Nicole had omitted parts of the blueprints and cleared out the safe with the stolen art herself. She even had it with her when said goodbye at the plane.

The only good thing that came out of it was, that Bryan Wallace got the finders fee for the Van Gogh in the end.

“At least some silver lining.” Romy’s head was nestled against his shoulder. “Yeah, a 1.5 million dollar silver lining.”

Romy whistled.

“Yeah she took the others though, obviously a girl’s gotta eat.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

Steve watched her as she hobbled next to Kono wearing her Kamekona shirt tugged into her jeans short. The black eye stood out against her pale skin but she refused to leave the wrap around her ankle.

“You getting kinda creepy you know, babe.” Danny appeared at his side.

“What?”

“Watching her like this.”

“She got hurt two days ago.”

“I can see that, but that’s not why you’re watching her right.”

“When I saw her in that house....”

“I get it man. You like her.”

“Of course I do.” Steve scoffed.

“No, and I can’t believe I’m quoting my daughter ‘you like like’ her.”

Steve was silent, he did. He could see himself, how did Aunt Deb put it ‘risk his heart’ again. He never thought he would, not after Catherine doing such a number on him.

The two of them watched Grace run up to Kono and Romy, giving the two women a quick hug, before settling against Romy.

The young woman pulled the girl close with an arm around her shoulder and ruffled her hair gently. Whatever Grace said, made Kono and Romy laugh out loud.

“She fits right in doesn’t she?”

Chapter 6: A half baked cookie

Summary:

The introduction of Nahele, a car theft, a hideous crime, emotional baggage, lots of hugs and a half baked cookie.
A small trigger warning as this episode and also this chapter touches on child abuse and homelessness.

Notes:

Hello lovelies,

We are back with another slice of Romy & Steve. Season 5 , Episode 12 this time, one of my favourites.

Schnuffi is a German pet name, which means cutie and is usually used for men that are all tough on the outside but all fluff on the inside, if that doesn’t describe Steve.

Can’t wait to hear your feedback via smoke signals, carrier pigeon, Comments or kudos are all gladly received.

Enjoy xx

Chapter Text

Grace wasn’t supposed to call, she was supposed to run the streets with Steve. Romy stared at her phone for a second before picking up:

“Grace, are you ok?”

“Yeah, Uncle Steve’s car got stolen and he run after it, told me to call you until he came back.”, Grace almost stumbled over the words in a rush to get them out.

‘Steve...Steve...Steve’, Romy shook her head, leaving Grace alone somewhere in Honolulu - Danny was going to have a field day!

“Ok, sweetie can you tell  me where you are and I’ll pick you up.” Romy already making a u-turn on the way to the hotel.

Luckily Steve had decided to run close to home, so she didn’t need to speed through half of Honolulu.

“There you are sweetie. I can see you.”, Romy smiled as she saw Grace leaning against a fence. The girl waved and hung up her phone.

“Aunt Romy!” Grace hugged her tightly. That was new...not the hugging but the aunt.

“You alright, kiddo?”

“Yeah! Someone stole Uncle Steve’s car.”

“His pick up?”

“No the other one.”

“The Marquis?”

Grace nodded gravely.

Oh dear god - that car meant so much to Steve. Romy hugged Grace closer, and rubbed her shoulders. “It will be alright, Grace.”

A police squad car stopped in front of them and Steve got out the passenger seat.

“What are you doing here?” He greeted Romy before kissing her softly on the cheek.

“Didn’t you tell Grace to call me?”

“Yeah, but not to make you...”

“Do you really think I’d just leave her here.” Romy shook her head “Come on guys, let’s go home.” She threw him her car keys and went over to the passenger side. Steve smiled at her gratefully,  before rearranging the seat and mirrors to suit him.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Dropping Grace off at Danny’s house, Steve turned to Romy, his eyes moving back and forth between her and the road.

“Thank you!”

“For what?”

“Coming for Grace, picking us up. I know you have an important meeting today.”

Romy squeezed his hand on the steering wheel.

“Anytime.”

”No reprimanding for leaving Grace?”

“Nah, you gonna get that one from Danny in any case.”

Steve groaned.

“Any idea about the Marquis?”

“No.” He couldn’t believe it, his Dad had this car for almost 40 years and nothing. He takes it out for one drive and it gets stolen.

They both got out of the car when they reached Steve’s house.

Romy came around to the drivers side and pulled Steve into a deep kiss. “Good Morning.”

He chuckled “Now its a Good Morning.” He smiled and drew her in close for another kiss, letting his hands roam freely over her silky emerald blouse.

His phone buzzed again, an update from the crime scene he imagined.

Romy pulled back slightly, “We both need to go. Rain check?”

“Definitely Raincheck. Tonight?”

“Sounds good. Call me when you’re done and I’ll come over.”

“Nah, come over whenever your finished. I don’t know how long I’ll be.”

“You sure?” This wasn’t new, Steve had readily opened up his home to her since the very beginning of their relationship.

“Of course!” Not that he’d admit it to anyone, but he liked it. Having her home when he came in from work. Hearing her putter around the kitchen or coming in from the lanai still wet from a little swim.

“See you tonight.” With a chaste kiss to his lips, she got into her car and drove to work.

 

——xx——xx——

 

“You made them put 24/7 surveillance on your car?” Romy sat down in the staff canteen for some coffee.

“And Auto Crime to canvas the area.”

“Schnuffi, don’t take this the wrong way, but don’t they have more....” Romy wasn’t sure how to continue, Steve might actually fly off the handle if she chose the wrong word to describe the car “dire” she settled on a word “more dire crime to solve.”

“Dire?” Steve switches the phone to his other ear “don’t you mean important.”

Romy could practically see aneurysm face appear  through the phone “Steve.” She said softly.

“It was my Dad’s and now it’s being sold for parts.” He didn’t sound angry anymore, he sounded dejected.

“I’m sorry.” She didn’t know what else to say.

“Thank you...I think I just needed to hear your voice.” He admitted softly.

“Anytime.”

“I call you later ok, I still got an assassinated neurosurgeon.”

“Keep the island safe McGarrett.”

Romy greeted some of the housekeeping staff also in the canteen, while collecting her coffee and making her way back into her office.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Two murders, four boys mistreated and killed in a correctional facility by a guard who was literally named angry and now this...the last two days just kept hitting him in the same spot over and over.

Nahele, it ripped something in him to hear this boys story. All alone in the world, hungry, desperate...forced to steal.

Steve put  his head between his arms, hands on the computer table. The team looked at him warily, unsure what to say.

He left the boy with Pua, getting him some food and clothes but this wasn’t enough, he could feel it in his gut he wasn’t doing enough.

“I need to do one pit stop before we go down and deal with the piece of garbage.”

——xx——xx——

Flashing his badge got him quickly into the office floors.

He saw her sitting behind her desk, eyes trained on her computer screen in front of her.

Steve knocked softly on the glass door. Her head shot up and a smile bloomed on her face.

Her mind flashed to yesterday, they had an emotional night. Steve coming back from the dig site after they found the bodies, he told her about the neurosurgeon, the four boys being tortured and killed and how it fits together.

The sex last night had been intense like never before, Steve setting an unrelenting pace, trying to forget and to loose himself in her. Romy had been a happy participant, but she definitely could feel some sore spots this morning and the need for industrial strength concealer for her neck.

Romy waved him in, and greeted him with a kiss.

“What brings you here?”

Steve laid it all out, right there standing in the middle of her office. Nahele, 14 years of freaking age and being homeless and hungry.

“I don’t want him to be alone.” He finished, holding her eyes.

“Ok.” Romy’s hand frame his face before standing on her toes and pressing a kiss to his mouth. Steve had no chance to deepen the kiss, before she opened the door and spoke to a woman that sat outside her office.

“Cheryl, should Someone need me, I’ll be off site for the rest of today.”

“Gorgeous....no, that’s not what I...” he stumbles, as his girl starts packing up her desk. Laptop, paperwork, notebook all wander in her massive tote bag.

“I know” Romy paused and looked up from her desk “but you don’t want him to be alone right now and you have important things to deal with, like locking that son of a bitch up and I can do my work from the palace just the same.”

Steve smiled, he knew, he knew that she would say that, it still made his heart swell so much though.

“Can you turn down the blinds of the door, please?”

Steve was baffled by her request but did it anyway, as he turned around Romy was already shimming out of her dress.

“Ahem, gorgeous not that I’d not be up for it, but I kinda...”

“Mind out of the gutter, McGarrett. You said the kid is scared, he’s been dealing with suits and uniforms all day. He doesn’t need another one in heels.” Steve appreciated her bum in her high waisted lace panties as she opened a cupboard behind the desk and took out a high waisted grey Levi’s and large Beatles T-shirt that she tucked into the front of her jeans, her feet no longer in heels but flip flops.

“Ready?” She held out her hand and he grasped her fingers tightly.

——xx——xx——

Romy knocked softly at Steve’s office door, alerting Pua to her presence.

“Hi Officer, Steve told you that I’d be dropping by?”

“Yes, he did. Romy right?” Romy shook his offered hand “I’m Pua. He messaged and said his girlfriend would sit with him.”

Girlfriend that was new, and something to be filed away for later.  Romy’s heart broke at the sight of Nahele, he wore new clothes. The tag still stuck out of his shirt and a McDonalds meal stood in front of him.

“Thanks Pua. I got this.”

The officer nodded and stepped outside, effectively blocking the door for everyone else.

Romy sat down in the chair next to Nahele “Hey, I’m Romy.” She smiled softly “you are Nahele, right?”

The boy nodded.

“Steve...Commander McGarrett asked me to sit with you until he’s back. Is that ok?”

“I guess.” Nahele still stared at his hands.

“I’m gonna sit on the sofa ok?” Nahele looked at her ‘success’ Romy thought.

“These chairs are the most uncomfortable thing to sit on in the entire universe.” She settled down on the sofa and pulling her legs up.

Nahele chuckled.

They sat in silence for a minute, before Romy started to chatter away. In the beginning it was only her talking, what she liked about Hawaii, her family back at home. It took a while but then Nahele joined in, asking her questions and answering some of hers.  They were just in the middle of a tale of Romy’s first try at taking a wave, when Steve stepped into his office.

He had a folder in his hand, he smiled at Romy, as he rounded his desk and stood behind it. He took a piece of paper out of the folder and slid it over his desk “You know what that is?” He didn’t wait for an answer before continuing “That is a criminal complaint for felony grand larceny auto, charging you with the theft of my car.”

“Steve!” Romy exclaimed, he couldn’t do that, she stood up from the couch coming to stand next to him. He didn’t just made her bond with a teenager only to send him to jail, not when he himself....

Nahele was stammering that he understood, that he’ll pay him back once he was out of jail.

Romy put her finger in Steve’s belt loop and tugged at it, trying to get his attention.

“Hold on, hold on. Im not done.” Steve interrupted Nahele’s rambling and her tugging. He placed the piece of paper back in the folder. “The only thing missing from this is my signature.” He put the folder in his desk drawer “I’m gonna make you the deal of a lifetime. All right?”

Steve sat down in his chair, effectively pulling Romy to perch on its arm rest. He took a deep breath and leaned forward, he could feel her hand discreetly rubbing  circles on his back. He had told her his story ages ago, how Joe did the same for him.

“This is what’s gonna happen. First, we gonna go to all the body shops, pick up all the parts you sold off. And then you and me, we’re gonna put my car together exactly the way it was before you took it. As long as you keep your nose clean, this complaint stays in my drawer, unsigned. You understand?”

“Yes, thank you...sir...I will.”

“Don’t thank me yet. I’ve got eyes and ears all over the island. If I hear of one incident one time for the smallest thing, I don’t care...”

Steve could feel Romy’s dissaprovement of scaring the kid straight.

“...what it is. I‘m gonna find you. And I’m not gonna be the nice guy sitting across the desk from you today . Do you understand?”

“Yes, thank you.” Nahele couldn’t believe it, he wasn’t going to go to jail.

“This is your second chance, Nahele, all right? Could be... could be your last chance. Don’t blow it, buddy. Take advantage of it.”

“I will, sir. I promise. I won’t let you down. You’ll see.”

The two stared at each other for a moment, before Steve nodded “Allright.”

Nahele left with Pua to grab some of his things.

Steve pulled at Romy’s hand to make her slide in his lap “Did you really think, I would let him go to jail?”

Romy suppressed a smile before leaning her forehead against his “No, but there was no need to scare him like that.”

Steve moved his hands into her hair, scratching her scalp softly “It worked for me when I was younger.”

“Still...”

“I promise I won’t sign that piece of paper.”

“Thank you. By the way, Pua referred to me as your girlfriend. I didn’t told him that, just in case it comes up anywhere else on the grapevine and you want to put a stop it.”

“Isn’t that what you are? My girl? My girlfriend?”

“I guess so...I just never was too much with the labels and this isn’t really....”

“Neither was I, but let’s stick with a label until you need to leave, hm? Makes the whole introducing a lot easier to do.”

“Ok, boyfriend.” Romy smirked, and Steve swooped right in to kiss that smirk of her face.

“I owe you a favour for blowing off your day.”

“I gladly did it. He’s a good kid.”

“So no favour?”

“Oh not so fast, McGarrett.” Romy brought her fingers to Steve’s side and tickled him.

Steve laughed and held her closer on his lap.

“One thing you could do...”

“Name it, Erhardt.”

“You can call the Governor and pull some strings so he gets into a good home, somewhere he won’t run away from.”

“Got it.” Steve held her with is left arm, while his right reached for his desk phone, already dialling the Governors office.

——xx——xx——

“Yeah! Girl power!” Kono high-fives Grace on her medal.

“You did amazing, Grace.” Romy chimes in “this is definitely faster than anything I could run.”

Steve stepped toward the table happy to see them all there already, even if he had bad news to tell. He stood behind Romy, hands on her shoulders kissing her in greeting before saying “Guys, I have some bad news. Delano has been officially released from the ICU and is expected to make a full recovery.”

“Well, we can still hope for stomach cancer.” Chin comments drily before taking a sip of his beer.

“Oh that’s cold, cuz. I’d settle for a shiv in the lunch line.”

Romy snorted and Steve hid his face in her hair.

“What’s a shiv.” Oh sweet innocent Grace. She looked expectantly at Romy and Steve for an explanation.

“Hey. Look who’s spotting the hardware.” Steve tried to recover, luckily Chin jumped in and boasted her achievements and the rest pick it up distracting Grace effectively from her previous question.

“Guys, how’s the kid doing?” Chin asks both Steve and Romy.

“He’s doing alright.” Steve said before squeezing Romy’s shoulder again. “We think he likes his new place to live” Romy continues “it’s a shared apartment with a couple of other kids his age and a social worker.”

In that moment Nahele comes to the table with Kamekona, carrying plates of shrimps.

Standing a bit off to the side, Steve turns to Kamekona “Thank you for giving the kid a job.”

“He’s a good kid.” Their friend replied.

“He is” Romy agreed, while looking at Nahele again, while the guys continue their conversation. He looks good, healthy, apparently eating too much for Kamekona’s free food policy for employees.

Romy jabs him in the tummy for that. “You feed that kid, as much as he wants.”

Steve holding back a grin, that was his girl “You better listen to her, Kamekona.”

“Mahalo!” Steve gave him a hug.

“All right...all right. I’ll keep feeding him...my poor profits.” Kamekona grumbled while walking back to his truck.

Lou and Samantha joined them shortly after and Romy’s attention was stolen by the two teenage girls, pulling her back to the table to sit with them. Danny taking her place next to him, observing the table, teasing him. Steve tried to tune him out,  but then he called him a half baked cookie. Moving back to the table trying to escape Danny’s psychological analysis of him, Steve tried to tune his best friend out, but Romy heard the last bit of their conversation “you...uh...you like fixing broken toys, right.” She was laughing with Max, Kono leaning against Lou. He surveyed the table with a smile before sitting down behind Romy, his arms pulling her to his front. She turned her head, placing a small kiss right underneath his ear and whispered

“You fixed me too.”

Chapter 7: Borrowed Time

Summary:

Some fun in the water, baked goods, and realisations...soo many realisations
Episode: Season 5 - 13

Notes:

Hello lovelies,

I hope you are all keeping well.
Are you ready for another slice of Romy and Steve?
I had the first part written since forever, I think it was the second scene I wrote between them. It holds a special place in my heart.
Also - thank you so much for all the love you have shown this little fic.
Cannot wait to hear your thoughts on this chapter!

Enjoy xx

Chapter Text


Steve’s phone rang early in the morning, grabbling for it on the unfamiliar nightstand it took him a second to find it.
“Whoever calls you before 8am on a Saturday should be shot.” The redhead lying next to him burrowed further into her pillow and slung her leg over his. 
He let out a chuckle “Sorry gorgeous.” 
“McGarrett.”
“Steve it’s Joe.”
Steve let his head fall back onto the pillow and groaned silently. 
“Give me a sec.” 
He moved Romy’s hair out of her face and kissed her softly on the cheek. “Sorry. I make this quick.” 
“Mm..okay” she mumbled and her lips brushed against the tattoo on his left arm. 

Steve extracted him carefully out of the bed and searched for his boxers, before stepping out on the little balcony attached to Romy’s suite. 
“What’s up, Joe?”
“Anything you want to share?”
“Nope” Steve wasn’t in the mood. He was supposed to be sleeping next to a beautiful woman after a great night out, maybe getting a bit of morning action, definitely not dealing with whatever Joe would push onto his plate. 
“I need you to run point today, Steve.”
“Joe, no! You can’t just call up and expect me to...”
“Steve” Joe interrupted him and laid out what he needed. 
“I’ll be there in an hour.” He couldn’t turn him down, he just couldn’t. 
Sighing Steve stepped back into the bedroom, Romy had burrowed herself over into his pillow and took most of the blanket with her. 
Her left leg was peaking out, and her chin length red hair tumbled over her face. 
Carefully he sat back down on the corner on the bed. “Romy wake up.” He stroke her leg. 
“Nooo.” 
Steve chuckled “I need to go. Something came up.”
Romy opened her eyes “A new case?” 
“I wish. Joe needs a favour.”
“The Joe?” That woke her up properly and Romy sat up, the bedclothes pooling around her waist. 
Steve moaned and closed his eyes, she grinned at him when opened them again. 
“You can only blame yourself. You took my clothes off last night.” She smirked. 
“That I did.” Steve leaned forward and kissed her deeply, exploring her mouth with his tongue, one hand cupping her head to him, while his other went to her left breast, massaging it  before tweaking her nipple gently. 
Romy moaned into his mouth and he could feel it all the way down his spine straight to his dick. 
He was about to move her backwards, when his phone chirped next to him, effectively destroying the mood. 
Romy pulled back, breathing heavily looking at his phone, which kept buzzing with incoming information.
“When do you need to be there?” 
“In an hour.”, Steve groaned while looking at his messages in distaste “I better get a move on.” 
He got up and headed to the adjoining bathroom. He turned around, Romy still siting in bed with the sheet bunched around her hips. “You better be here just like this when I get back.” With that he disappeared into the bathroom.
Romy fell back and laughed out loud, the shower started in the bathroom and she had a much better idea. 

——xx——xx—— 

Carefully she opened the glass door leading to the shower stall. Steve had his back to her and she stepped inside.
He turned around and stared at her. 
“I thought conserving water…” biting her lip Romy lowered her eyes, while her hands starting to cover herself up underneath his scrutiny. 
Steve took one step over to her, hands settling on her hips  “You are gorgeous” and then lifting her, Romy crossed her ankles behind his back and he grinned at her “and if it’s for the environment.”
“Don’t break your back old man. My 140 pounds are more than what you bench press.”
Romy kissed her way down his neck, before suckling his pulse point. 
“You have now idea what I can bench press.” Steve murmured against her collarbone. 
Half an hour later, Romy was swathed in a massive bath robe and Steve put his boots on. 
“Conserving water was one of the best ideas you had.” He grinned up at her. 
“Anything I can do, to give you a good start to the day, that involves Joe and who knows what else.” She winked at him, handing Steve her cup of coffee. He took a sip before handing it back to her. 
As he kissed her goodbye he realised something “Dammit, I was supposed to go hiking with Nahele today.” His hand cradled her cheek.
Sliding her hands up his chest, Romy kissed him chastely “Its ok. I’ll go with him if you want.” 
“You sure?” His thumb drawing patterns on her cheek.
“Of course, I like spending time with him.” Romy shrugged. 
Steve smiled before pressing a kiss to her forehead “I didn’t plan a crazy trail or anything, thought about heading up Hanauma Bay Ridge.” 
“I love that one.” 
“Even worse that I can’t join you. Raincheck - I promise, next time I’ll be there. I’m gonna call him from the car, to let him know.” 
“Alright.” Romy waved as he started his way towards the lift. “Go save the Island, McGarrett!” 
He turned around and gave her a two finger salute. 

Before Romy could close her door, she noticed that the door opposite had been open. Her colleague stood grinning in his door and wiggled his eyebrows suggestively. 
“Not a word. Not a bloody word.” She could hear his laughter well after she closed the door behind her. 
Romy glances at her phone, it was 9 am on a Saturday, with a big sigh and grin she collapsed back into bed. 


——xx——xx—— 


It’s been a day.

All Steve wanted was a beer, a game on the tv and to check in with Romy. 
Noises made him stop short and draw his weapon. Who was in his house? He inched closer towards the voices, gun in his hand - ready to charge. 

The scene in his kitchen had him close his eyes and take a deep breath, slowly letting the adrenaline out of his body. Putting the safety back on and returning his gun in its holster, he leaned on the door jamb watching for a second. 

Romy and  Nahele were standing side by side, while she instructed the teenager how to roll out the dough in front of them. 
Her head bopped along the music that played from her phone and she was wearing his apron, the straps reaching around her waist twice, a neat little bow tying it right below her breasts. 

Steve couldn’t believe that the two of them hadn’t noticed him yet, apparently too engrossed in their conversation and whatever they were making. 
“Hey guys.”
Romy let out a shriek and turned to him, her hand on her chest “Steve!”
“You know, anyone could sneak upon you, right.” He wandered into the kitchen, greeting Nahele before kissing Romy. 
“What are you guys making?” He dipped his finger in a bowl with brown sugary mix next to Romy’s elbow. 
“Stop it.” She slapped his hand away from bowl “Someone had a craving for cinnamon rolls.” Romy winked at Nahele. 
“You’re making cinnamon rolls now?”, Steve laughed.
“It’s never too late for cinnamon rolls” Nahele piped up. 
“Exactly” Romy bumped her hip with Nahele’s. She started to spread out the brown sugar mix.  
Steve took them both in, how Romy spread the mixture, her licking some leftover sugar of her finger. Watched her how she showed Nahele to fold and cut the dough. 
A warmth spread through him, something he never knew he needed until he saw it right here in his kitchen.
Romy looked up catching his glance, ‘You alright?’ Her silent question accompanied by a caress of his bruised forehead. Steve nodded, he couldn’t articulate what he was feeling right now...he wasn’t even sure if he was ready to feel it. 

But right now, in this very moment, he couldn’t imagine to ever not coming home to her. 

——xx——xx—— 

Later, after Romy and Nahele had regaled him with stories and pictures off their day hiking the trail and Nahele had been dropped back to the community flat he shared with others, Steve unloaded his day. 
He gave Romy the cliff notes on what happened, before he booted up his laptop and clicked on the link. 

Romy watched someone, she assumed Joe, pace a large hospital room for some time, before she turned to Steve. “You don’t trust him don’t you?” 
“I do…just…”
“Not anything concerning your mother” she finished his sentence. 
“Yeah” Steve let out a long sigh, his head thudded softly against the wall. Romy tugged her legs underneath her, fingers stroked up and down his arm. She was still watching the feed “Any hidden cameras in this house, I should know about?” she cocked her head to the side and smirked. 
“Why, you into that?” 
“Wouldn’t you like to know, Commander McGarret?” she bit her lip and raised her eyebrows suggestively. 
“Oh I would like, Ms Erhardt.” Steve moved over her, making her lie down on the sofa, his arms caging her in. He bend down and kissed her right below her ear, the mewl he got out of Romy was delicious “And I have ways to make you talk.” 
“Hmm…an interrogation?” her hands fisting in his hair, her fingernails scrapping his scalp “You gonna tie me up as well?” 
Steve groaned and his forehead met Romy’s, the images in his head going overboard. 
The German chuckled and pressed a soft kiss to his cheek “Did I just kill you there?” 
“Yep” Steve mumbled against her lips “What a wrecking ball couldn’t achieve today, you managed with just two ideas.” 
Romy pushed him off her, and jerked upright. 
“Hey? You ok?” Steve was confused the mood had shifted in a nano second. 
“You got hit by a wrecking ball?” she held his shoulders and started to catalogue his face “You left that out earlier on.” 
“Didn’t want to worry you.” 
Romy rolled her eyes “You think after everything a wrecking ball is going to worry me? I’d just like to know, I worry less that way.” 
Steve smiled “Let’s move this to the bedroom.” He got up from the couch and helped Romy up as well. Standing, he stretched, giving Romy a moment to admire his body. He knew she liked to look at him and he gladly indulged her, especially if it restored the mood from earlier. 
Moving his arms back down he flinched, he really wasn’t recovering as quickly anymore. 
“How about we move this to the bathroom instead?” Romy’s hands moved over his back and dig into a sore muscle. 

——xx——xx—— 

Steve’s head rested against rim of the tub and Romy situated between his legs, her head comfortably on his shoulder. 
Her fingers moved through the water creating small ripples in the smooth surface. 
It was quiet in the room, the window open letting in the sea breeze and her phone playing some music. He took, what felt like the first proper breath for hours. 
It was the second time they shared a tub today and to be honest he could not decide which one he preferred. 
Romy’s phone pinged, disrupting the calmness. 
“What is it?”, she asked.
Steve unlocked her phone and held it up for her see the message that came in. A picture of her parents and brothers, decked out in skiing gear ready to head up the mountain. ‘We miss you’ read the caption underneath. 

With just one picture, reality crashed his perfect moment, Romy was his for burrowed time only. 

Chapter 8: ...and Haribo's

Summary:

Valentine's Day has come around quick for those two.
What for a day it's going to be, between a neurotic Danny, Grace's first date, an African warlord come back to life and Romy who has nothing but disdain for the day.

Season 5 - Episode 15 E 'Imi pono

Notes:

Hello lovelies,

How are you all?
I am back with another piece of Steve & Romy. As an expat myself, I couldn’t resist putting a little bit of myself in at the end.
Cannot wait to hear your thoughts on this chapter!

Enjoy xx

Chapter Text

 

Steve stood in his kitchen prepping some coffee. Music was playing softly in the house and the shower upstairs was still running. He inhaled the aroma of his  freshly ground coffee before pouring it in the french press, this coffee was balm for the soul. Adding the boiling water he let the grounds steep for a moment. He was just about to push down the press when his front door opened.
 
“He’s dead. He’s dead!” Danny stormed in the kitchen, disrupting his chilled morning. 
“Good Morning to you, too.”
“I swear, I think I am gonna kill this little punk.” He clapped his hands and tried to grab the other cup Steve had standing on the kitchen island. 
Not even questioning Danny’s statement, but moving the cup away, Steve asked “Who we killing? And get your own mug.”
“This, uh, kid in Grace’s Math class his name is ‘Apane and he’s been texting her nonstop. Text, text, text, text, text, text.” Danny turned around and retrieved another cup. 
“How do you know he’s been texting her?” Steve opened fridge and took out the butter dish. 
“Because I bought her a new cellular phone and somehow in the family cloud share plan, whatever you call it, got mixed up and I’m receiving all of her text messages.”
Steve fixed Danny with a look “So you’ve been spying on her.”
“I’m not spying on my kid. What’d I just say? Number one. Number two, it’s called parenting, so you know.”
“It’s also...spying. All right?” He measured a dollop of butter and put it in his coffee. 
“Look, I didn’t come here to, uh...What, you...what the hell is that? What are you doing?”
Steve looked up stirring his coffee “What?” 
“What do you mean, ‘What?’ You just put butter in your coffee...”
“Yeah it’s grass-fed butter. Try it.” Steve slid the butter dish over. 
Danny couldn’t believe it “You out of milk? You out of your mind? What the matter with you?”
“No, it’s a, uh, it’s a team guy thing. We do it to boost energy, enhance brain function. Hey, enhances brains function...you should try it, maybe you think more clearly.”
Danny scoffed and poured some milk into his coffee “Oh thank you. I think. I’ll have my heart attack the old fashioned way.”
“Well, suit yourself.” Steve mumbled. 

“Morning.” Romy steps into the kitchen and hops onto the kitchen counter next to Steve. 
“Morning Romy.” Danny lifts his mug in greeting, “You know what this animal does to his coffee?”
“Puts Butter in it?” Romy grinned and cradled the cup of coffee Steve hands her carefully. “Thanks.” she mumbles against his cheek, pecking it quickly. “Please tell me you put milk in like any normal person.”
“Nah, anyone who puts anything in french press coffee doesn’t deserve to drink it.” 
“What?”Danny phone chimes twice in a row, effectively distracting him from the coffee argument. “This kid again.” He grumbles and Romy looks questioning at Steve. 
He turns his head slightly “A boy from Grace’s math class keeps texting her.” 
“Ah..” Romy nodded, no wonder Danny was pacing the kitchen and threatening bodily arm to a 12 year old. 

“Relentless. He is completely relentless. Listen to this one, I think you like it.”
“What is that?”
“Ok. ‘Hey, G.’ Her name’s Grace, first of all. ‘What’s your favourite kind of candy?’ She says ‘Hershey’s kisses’. He says ‘awesome. Me, too.’.”
Steve and Romy are both chuckling at Danny’s face. 
“Yeah you know why you two think it’s funny? Because you don’t understand subtext. Subtext.”
“They’re two kids talking about candy the day before Valentine’s Day. Romance is in the air, Danny.” Steve can just about hold the chuckle in. 
“Romance is in the air?”
“Yeah, romance is in the air.”
“If romance is in the air, you big oaf. What have you guys planned tomorrow? Any chocolate exchanging happening here?” 
Romy choked almost on her coffee at Steve’s alarmed face. “I don’t like chocolate” she pointed out. 
“What? How can you not like chocolate?” Danny was flabbergasted “Who doesn’t like chocolate? Oh you two are killing me between him putting butter in his coffee and you not liking chocolate.” Danny pushed his hand through his hair. 
“Anything else you’d like to do tomorrow then?” Steve refilled their coffee cups. 
“I’ve never celebrated Valentine’s Day…” 
“How can you have not celebrated Valentine’s Day?” Danny interrupted her. 
“I…I…” Romy’s face clouded over, she didn’t know how to continue, how could she explain it without ruining the mood. 
Steve felt her sharp intake of breath and took over “Now that romance is in the air for Grace, what about you and Amber?” 
He squeezed Romy’s hand softly and winked at her, because that innocent question got Danny started again. 
“No, romance is not in the air. You know why. Because she’s 12. There should be not any romance in her airspace period.” 
Romy giggled while she watches Danny’s vein on the forehead fascinated, her dark mood from a moment pushed to the back of her mind ‘Is he going to explode when someone says Romance is in the air one more time?’ 
Steve takes a breath and squeezes her knee, stopping her in the last second.

“Would you listen to me for a minute, please? Relax. Just relax. She’s a great kid. You raised her right, you got to trust her.”
“I do trust her. I trust her very much. It’s him...this little thug...I don’t trust.”
Steve shrugs his shoulders and takes a sip of his coffee “Alright, let’s take him out.”
Romy rolls her eyes and smiled, her big marshmallow seal, would take out a 12 year old just because he dared to talk to Grace. 
“Okay now you’re talking.”
Steve’s phone vibrates “McGarrett.” Listening to the other person on the line, he set his coffee cup down “we are on our way.”
Looking at Danny he said “We gotta go.”
Romy leaned up and kissed Steve goodbye “Stay safe.” She murmured against his lips.
“I’ll see you tonight.” He said pecking her lips once more. 
“Bye, Danny.” Romy wiggled her fingers and whispered to him “Romance is in the air.” 
Steve could stop Danny from tackling Romy of the kitchen counter by holding onto his shirt.  
“Steve!” Danny whined. 
“No. No help from me.” Steve still held onto his partner shirt, before turning to his girlfriend “Leave the poor man alone, Romy. It’s not his fault that a 12 year old is more romantic than he is.” Steve laughed as he pulled a sulking Danny to the door
Romy poked out her tongue “Spoilsport!”
“Mature, Romy, really...” she could hear Danny from the other side of the door. 
Romy jumped off the counter and took her cup of coffee upstairs to finish getting ready. 

——xx——xx—— 

“You know you two are the most couple-y non-couple I’ve ever met, Including us.” Danny threw the Camaro’s keys over to Steve “What’s up with that?”
“Shut up, would you?” 
“Ehm..no! Come on it’s clear as day that you both have feelings for each other.” 
“Yes, we do.”
“And...”
“And what? Romy and I are Romy and I. Please stop to overanalyse my relationship.” Steve sighed. 
“What? Can I not show interest in my buddies relationship?” 
Steve fixed him with a glare and Danny huffed in response. 
“And what was this about her not having celebrated Valentine’s Day?” 
“It’s personal.” 
“It’s just weird you know.” 
“Danny, I just told you. It’s personal. So drop it.” 
“Ok. Ok.” Danny placated, before he could dive back into it, someone finally picked up at that stupid phone company. 

——xx——xx—— 

The conversation with Steve this morning still played on her mind. Maybe it was time to break herself imposed rule about Valentine’s Day. 
With Steve she wants to break all of her rules. 
Putting a couple of things into her basket, Romy strolled through the isles of Sephora. She was contemplating the benefits of a booby mask, sneaking a quick peak down her top, she shrugged and tossed the jar in the basket. Even if there weren’t any health benefits, she was sure Steve would have fun applying it on her. 

The next thing catching her eye, actually made her stop short. 
“Oh Fuck.” 
Grace was sitting on a high chair receiving quite a make over at the make up counter. 
“Romy?” the teenager looked up, her eyes widening at the though off being caught. 

Making her way over to her, Romy pulled out her phone, opening the messaging app
‘Soo…if I see something that would get Danny’s vein on the forehead pulsing. What do you want me to do?’
‘You tell me! Whats that even for a question?’ 
‘It’s about Grace.’
For a couple of minutes there was no response 
‘You still there?’ 
‘Is she in any danger?’
‘Of course not! I’d have called you.’ 
‘Ok, we are about to head into a situation. Can you handle this?’ 
‘Sure. Be safe 😘‘

“Hey Grace.” 
The girl startled and the make up artist turned around as well. Romy’s eyes were almost as big as Graces’ when she took in her face. Eyeliner, Mascara, Rouge and a half painted mouth adorned Grace face. 
“Aunt Romy!” 
Romy turned to the girl with the make up brush “Its ok, I think you’ve done enough damage.”
“Romy!”
“Grace!” Romy countered in the same exasperated tone. 

Settling onto the highchair next to Grace, Romy turned the teenager to face her “Want to tell me what’s this all about?” she had an idea, but she wouldn’t rat Danny out. That conversation was not something she was going to insert herself. 
Grace shrugged with her shoulders “I wanted to look pretty.” 
“You are pretty.” Romy reached for the baby wipes on the counter and started to wipe the lipstick off Grace’s mouth. 
“No, grown up pretty. Like the women in the magazines.” 
Romy fixed Grace with a glance, her head perched on her fist “You do know that they alter these pictures.” 
“What do you mean?” 
“They change them. Make the women look thinner, lips larger, lashes longer.” 
“But why?”
“That’s a very good question. Honestly, I don’t really know. They want to sell more of their products, so they try to make us feel bad because we don’t look like these models and will buy all of that stuff so we look more like them.” Romy rambled. Seeing the slightly lost look on Grace’s face made her stop. “Sorry, sweetheart. I lost you didn’t I?” 
“It’s ok. So you are saying we shouldn’t use make up?” 
“What? No! Not at all. Make up is fun, but it needs to work for you and not for anyone else.” 
“What do you mean?”
“It’s like with a lot of things. You try it out, find out what works for you. Figure out how you feel best.” 
“What works for you, Aunt Romy?” 
“For the longest time I had bad skin, especially when I was flying so much for work and living in London, all that smog. So I tried to find a good and heavy duty foundation.”
“Are you wearing it now?” 
“Not anymore…Hawaii was really good for my skin.” Romy winked at her “but you still don’t catch me without a bright lipstick.” 
“What should I wear?” 
“Grace, shouldn’t you be doing this with your Mum?” 
The teenager shrugged listlessly “She doesn’t have much time at the moment. Charlie needs her a lot with all the doctors appointments.” 
“How about this, I’ll show you what I had when I was 12 and then you can show your mum to buy it with you, deal? 
“Deal.” The two of them shook on it and Romy started perusing the counter for some light mascara, loose powder and soft pink lipstick. 
“So, can I ask what spurred this interest in a full makeover?” Romy asked while applying the mascara. 
“Nothing, really.” Grace squirmed a bit in the chair. “I had some time to kill before meeting with some friends to study.” 
Romy hummed in acknowledgment but didn’t believe it for a second, she could bet all the money in her wallet that it was because of the boy Danny had mentioned. 

When she was done, Grace hopped of the chair and hugged Romy tightly “Thank you!” 
“You are very welcome.” 
Together they made their way to the cashier, Romy was just about to sign the credit card receipt the sales lady put in front of her ‘How can this shit be so expensive.’ When Grace tugged at her arm “Aunt Romy...Romy Look!” she  pointed to the large TV wall located in the middle of the mall. 
It was tuned to the local news channel and what she saw made her blood run cold. 

“Fuck!”

Steve was kneeling in front of a taxi, no vest on and the guy on the drivers seat was pointing a gun at a girl in front of him. 
Romy’s breath stuck in her lungs, her mind completely blank as the driver extended his hand and pointed the gun at Steve’s head. 
Grace burrowed herself underneath Romy’s arm, her face pressed into Romy’s side. 
A gunshot could be heard over the TV, and in the next second the guy in the taxi slumped forward and Steve dove into the car getting rid of the gun. 
“He’s alright, Grace. Look he’s standing.” Romy didn’t know how she managed to make her voice sound so calm, when everything inside her was in turmoil. 

——xx——xx—— 

“Hey” Steve called into the house. Seeing Romy’s car in the driveway made stress melt off his shoulders. 
“Outside” she called back. 
Steve made his way onto the lanai, grabbing a beer out of the fridge beforehand. He settled down next to Romy on the rattan bench, the two shared a deep kiss. 
“How was your day?” Steve slid his hand to massage Romy’s neck, she seemed tense. 
“I saw you on TV today.” Her head barely turned to him. 
“On TV?” He didn’t give an interview today, did he? 
“Yep, I ran into Grace in the mall, and there you were on the big screen, kneeling in front of a crazy man with a gun. Without your vest.  Shouldn’t I better ask how was yours?” 
“Fuck.” Steve exhaled. “you and Grace saw?” After a heartbeat he continued “You are mad?” 
The two lovers had their eyes fixed on each other. Steve all soft, the fight had left him the moment he saw her. Romy tense, her eyes glassy , she had way too much time to think of all the ‘what could haves’ since she left the mall.  Too many of them didn’t end with Kono shooting the perp, but with Steve lying on the street, a bullet dead centre in his forehead. 
“Why didn’t you wear your vest? Why didn’t you wear your vest, you idiot?” It broke out of her, her fists hitting his chest repeatedly.
Steve gathered her in his arms, pulling her onto  his lap, he hugged her tightly to him. Her fist were now trapped between their bodies and he crooned “I’m ok...I’m ok” in Romy’s ear. 
Softly he pushed her hair out Romy’s face, his hands framing it “I’m here” his voice steady and calm “and I am not going anywhere.” 

——xx——xx—— 

The guys were huddling outside around the bbq, watching Jerry gift a rose to Dr Shaw, laughing between them. Romy chuckled at the commotion, especially as Danny handed a $20 bill to Lou, some kind of bet must be going on there. 

Leaning on the kitchen counter, Romy’s head rested on her arms.  
“You ok there?” Renee passed behind her, carrying some empty bowls. 
“Yeah.” The younger woman, shook her head, trying to get rid of the thoughts in her head. 
“You sure?” Renee cast a glance over her shoulder, not believing Romy for a second. If she couldn’t voice it Renee, she couldn’t ask anyone. 
Standing up, she didn’t know how to start.
“Can I ask you a question?” Her hands worrying the hem of her white sleeveless blouse. 
“What’s on your mind.” Renee leaned against the kitchen island, opposite the younger woman. 
“How...” Romy broke off, looking over her shoulder through the window quickly, all men were still accounted for outside “how do you do it?” 
Renee quirked her eyebrow, she had an inkling what this was about “How do I do what? My potato salad? Or how do I not smother my husband in his sleep?” 
Romy hid the chuckle behind her hand, before taking a deep breath “How do you let him leave every single day knowing he might not come home?”
“Oh.” 
Renee busied herself with some trinkets on the counter “I...actually don’t know.” She shook her head a little bit “You know in the 20 years I’ve been with this man, no one ever asked me that question.” 
“I can’t believe that.”
“It’s true. It’d been different when he started out...” Renee left the sentence unfinished. “I trust him and I trust that his team have his back.” She reached over and squeezed Romy’s hand. 
“Thanks.” The younger woman smiled gratefully. 
“And Romy...” Renee wasn’t sure if she should continue, but hey someone needed to say it “I trust that my love for him, is enough incentive to come home.” 
“Oh Renee, that thing between me and Steve I wouldn’t call it love.” 
Her dark eyebrows shot into her hairline “What would you call it then?” 
Romy shrugged “Mutual attraction?!”
“You asking or telling me?” 
“Telling?”
Renee couldn’t hold her laugh in now “ok, kid.” She placated her fiend, but thought to herself ‘Those two idiots’
Romy pressed a kiss onto Renee’s cheek “Thanks.” 
The older woman squeezed her friend to her “You’re very welcome and if you ever want to talk about your attraction, I’m always here.” 


——xx——xx—— 

“You ready to go?” Steve hugged Romy from behind. Turning her face so she could look at him, Romy nodded. “Yes, please. If I need to hear one more time that Amber loved the roses Danny got her, I am going to whack him over the head with my beer bottle” her voice lowered to a whisper to not attract the attention of their friend. Steve hid his face in Romy’s hair to stifle his laughter. 
He pressed his lips to the part of her shoulder that was left bare by the white blouse Romy wore today, before raising his voice “Yeah, he’s been annoying everyone with his great gift of flowers to Valentine’s Day.” The Sarcasm could not be overheard even if you tried. 
“Hey!” Danny shouted across the lawn “I heard that.” 
“Good.” Romy and Steve shouted back. 

——xx——xx—— 

The pair made their into Steve’s house, standing on the porch Steve settled his hands on Romy’s hips. He shifted a little bit and his right hand scratched the back of his neck, before settling back on her hips. 
He was nervous. 
She said she didn’t celebrate Valentine’s Day, he knows that, he understood why. But god, did he want to celebrate with her. 
“Steve, you ok?” Romy interrupted his musings. 
“Yeah, no, I guess.” 
“Which answer do you want me to pick?” 
Both of them chuckled, releasing some of the tension. 
“Alright.” When did his palms become so sweaty? 
“I got you something for Valentine’s Day. And I know we said we are not celebrating, because you don’t and also because we aren’t really a ‘couple’ couple. But still, I thought you deserve something nice. So you know that I really like you and I love spending time with you.” he rambled. 
He watched Romy’s eyes go wide during his little outburst, she opened her mouth to say something, but he continued before she could utter a word. “Let me just get it ok?”
Still too stunned to speak, Romy nodded. Steve quickly disappeared inside, she could hear him taking the stairs, a door banged and some cursing followed. 

“Here!” A basket was thrust in her face. 
Steve watched her, slowly an understanding dawned on her face. She took a step closer to him, a huge smile on her face as she started to rifle through the contents of the basket he was still holding.
Taking something out of the basket, before getting distracted by another bag in the basket, Romy was speechless. 
“Romy?” 
“How did you get them?” she was still fingering all the different pouches in the basket. 
“There is something called the internet” he smirked “You said, the American ones don’t taste the same.” 
“True. Your flavours just suck.”
“So I had a selection shipped from Germany.”
Romy shook her head, she still couldn’t believe he did that. Slowly she lifted her eyes from the basket, looking at Steve. There he stood in his doorway, in his pineapple shirt, holding a basket of her favourite sweets. 
‘Oh. Oh no. No. I am so stupid, and Renee was right.’
Taking a step towards him, Romy rose on her toes and kissed her man deeply. “Thank you” she murmured against his lips. 
“Best Valentine’s Day?” 
Romy nodded “Best Valentine’s Day.” 
“Better than flowers.” 
“So much better than flowers” she laughed at Steve’s smug grin. She would bet her amazing present that a superior text to Danny was inevitable. 
Steve lifted her and Romy slung her legs around his hips, holding onto her present tightly. 

Later, as they both laid in his bed surrounded by messed up bedsheets, Romy turned to her side and leaned up on her elbow watching Steve doze. 
Her realisation from earlier continued to tumble around in her mind. This stubborn mule of a Navy Seal, with his marshmallow heart. This man who made her enjoy her most annoying holiday in the year. Who got her favourite sweets shipped in all the way from Germany. 

 

She loves him…and her Haribo’s. 

Chapter 9: And his heart stopped

Summary:

Summary: A visit from an old friend...a night out to remember...finally the story on how Steve & Romy met...and some drama
Warnings: Drama, hints at past assault, reference to recreational drug use
Episode: Season 5 - No specific episode, sometime afterEpisode 16 & 17 but before Episode 18.

Notes:

Hello lovelies,

How are you all?
Another piece of Steve & Romy is coming your way.
Thank you so much for all the comments, kudos, likes and follows you are showing this little fic.
I hope you enjoy this new installment and I can't wait to hear your thoughts.
Enjoy xx

Chapter Text


“So this friend of yours...” 
“Lauren.” 
“Lauren, she is going to stay with you for the full week?” 
“Yes. Why?” 
“Nothing. Just asking.” 
“Steve. You are never just asking.” 
“I mean, does that mean you won’t stay over for the week?”
“I’m sorry, what?” 
Steve avoided her eyes and kept staring at the tv until it clicked with Romy, “Is my friend visiting me, interfering with your sex life?” She smirked. 
Steve slung an arm around her shoulders and looked down at her “I’d say its interfering with our sex life.” 
Chuckling Romy nuzzled his peck “Poor Baby. I promise, I’ll make it up to you.” 
“I’m counting on it.” 
Romy rolled her eyes at him, stealing some popcorn out of the bowl in his lap “I am really excited that she’s coming. I haven’t seen her since last July” she trailed off. 
“You didn’t see her over Christmas when you went home?” 
Shaking her head Romy glanced at her phone, a plane tracking app displaying the progress of her friend flight.
“Nah Lauren doesn’t do Christmas. She usually escapes somewhere tropical” she scrunched her nose “when I think of it, she doesn’t do any kind of traditions at all.” 
“The complete opposite of you, then.” Steve poked her side, tickling her. Romy squirmed out of his grasp slightly before leaning back into him. 
“Totally. The only one she allows herself to participate in, is my airport farewell.” 
“Your airport farewell? You’ve got a tradition for that?” He shook his head, grinning at her “But hey, look who I’m talking to…you’ve got a tradition for everything.” 
“Mean!” Romy slapped his arm. 
Squeezing her to him, Steve kissed the top of her head “You gonna share your airport tradition?” 
“Haha...nope you made fun of my traditions, you don’t get to know.” Romy stuck out her tongue at him. 
“Oh really?” Steve moved the popcorn bowl to the side and started to tickle her, pulling Romy under him, he pinned her down and attacked her side, she was so sensitive. It didn’t take long for her to squirm underneath. 
“Steve…please…Steve…this is unfair.” Romy wiggled and tried to get away from his fingers. Her voice now breathless from laughter. 
“You give?” Steve raised his eyebrow. 
“I give…I give…” Romy giggled, placing her hands on his arm, letting him pull her up onto his lap. 
“It’s just a silly little tradition” 
“Nothing about you is silly.” 

 

——xx——xx——

 

Hugging her friends closely, Romy tried not to cry. This was longest she was going to be away. For the first time, since she started this job, she was not able to come back for the weekends - it was daunting. 
She was going to miss them so much! 
Taking a deep breath she let herself out of the huddle that occupied the departure hall of London Heathrow’s Terminal 2. 
Jess rounded the woman up and all of them tried to squeeze into the picture. 
It had become their goodbye ritual since Romy started to work abroad so much, bringing her to the airport, one big huddle, a selfie and a shot of Tequila before waving her off to the security gates. 
Romy held up her shot in a toast and her friends joined her quickly 
“To a new country.” 
“To New adventures.”
“To Missing us.”
“To Fun times.” 
“To Surviving on two suitcases worth of clothing.”  
“To doing what you love.” 
Each of her girls had lifted their glass when saying one wish, only Lauren was missing. Romy knew what was coming, everyone else was actually giving her an achievable goal but not Lauren.
“To fabulous sex with a stranger.” 
She grinned and downed her shot, while the others groaned good naturally. 
“Everytime Lauren.” Romy said before pulling her friends in one final hug. 
“Maybe this time,” Lauren whispered when it was her turn “a Hawaiian surfer dude, would be nice right?”
“That would be a fat no!” Romy laughed and kissed Lauren’s cheek. 
One last wave then she made her way through security.
“We will be right here when you’re back!”, her girls shouted. Laughing Romy wiped away a tear and jumped on her tip toes for a final wave. 
“Hey what’s the tears for?” Her colleague James bumped her shoulder. 
“It’s gonna be a year, James. A full year.”
“Yeah but it’s Hawaii.” The blonde grinned at her. 

——xx——xx——

“Now that is a tradition I can get behind.” Steve laced his hands behind Romy’s back. 
“Yeah, only because Tequila shots are involved.” 
“So you picking her up tomorrow morning.” 
Romy nodded. 
“When will guys come over?”
“Steve?” 
“Don’t you want me to meet her?” 
Frowning Romy tried to clarify “I didn’t realise you wanted to meet her.” 
“What? Of course I want to meet your friend. Finally going to get some dirt on you.” he laughed. 
“I thought, with you pouting every single time I mentioned Lauren coming, you didn’t want to do the whole friend thing.” 
Steve sighed “Can’t believe Danny was right again.” 
“Explain.” Romy cocked her head to the side. 
“He just said that my reaction could be interpreted the way you did.” 
“I’m not a mind reader, Steve. I need a bit more than that.” 
“It’s just, I like that you spend most of your nights here with me” he mumbled “I’m gonna miss you.” 
Romy rolled her eyes at him affectionately, before pressing a kiss right underneath his jaw “You could have said something.” 
“Yeah, we know that would have never happened. Revealing our emotions is not something we McGarrett men do.” 
“And here is the next topic for your couples therapy with Danny.” 

——xx——xx——

Romy could not stand still, she was so excited to finally see Lauren again. She had cleared her schedule for most of the week, so she could spend the time showing her friend the island and her life here. 
“Lauren!” she screamed, startling the woman next to her, Romy waved maniacally, now literally hopping on the spot, before she made a beeline to her friend. 
“Romy!” Lauren let her suitcase go with a thud and threw her arms around her friend in a huge hug. 
“We are a spectacle.” Romy mumbled. 
“Who cares?” Lauren shrugged once she released her friend out of her arms. 
“Aloha, Lauren.” Romy draped a Lei around her friends neck, before pressing a kiss to her cheek “I missed you.” 
“I missed you too.” 
Linking arms with each other, Romy steered her friend out of the airport. 

“I see you have adapted to the Aloha style already.” Lauren inspected her friends closet in her hotel room. She was riffling through linen trousers, blouses, short sleeved dresses, all bright in colour and light in fabric. 
“I even learned to surf.” Romy leaned back on her bed, watching her friend inspect her stuff. 
“What?” Lauren turned around, a teal green floaty dress held up in front of her. 
“I posted pictures.” Romy said indignantly. 
“I thought those were fake.” Lauren grinned and ducked right in time to miss the pillow Romy threw at her. 
“You need boobs to pull off that dress” Romy snarked at her friend as retaliation.  While Lauren was almost the same height as Romy, but compared to her she was built on the slim,  which gave her an almost waif like appearance. Something that Romy was jealous of, she was woman enough to admit that. On the other hand Lauren constantly complained about her small boobs - the grass was always greener on the other side. 

“You hungry?” Romy asked after Lauren had a little nap to combat jet lag and changed into a more Hawaiian appropriate attire of shorts and flip-flops. 
“Sure. What’s on the menu?” 
“Only the best shrimp on the island.” Romy grinned and pulled her friend off the bed and out of the door. 

Driving down to Kamekona’s truck, the two women made plans for the week, from hiking the Manoa falls trail, to beaches at the North Shore and of course getting Lauren on a surf board. Maybe Kono had some time to show her...
“German Rose! You are back.” Kamekona smiled hugely at her “And you brought a friend.” 
“Kamekona, this is Lauren my friend from London. Lauren, this is Kamekona, maker of the best shrimp of the island.” 
“It’s a pleasure to meet ya, Sistah.” 
“Likewise.” Lauren smiled at the large native. 
“What can I get ya, beautiful ladies.” Kamekona was leading them over to a free table. 
“Can you make us like a taster platter of everything?” Romy grinned at him. 
“For you…German Rose and your beautiful friend, I’ll see what I can do.”
“Thanks, big guy, and two beers please.” 
“Commin’ right up.” Kamekona shuffled away. 
“This is nice.” Lauren looked around. “How did you find it?” 
“Right in my first week. Even met Steve here.” 
That was the opening Lauren had been waiting for since she stepped of the plane “Ok, hun...I’ve been instructed to get all the dirty deeds for the girls. Tell me everything.” 
Romy laughed, oh how she has missed her. “Actually the first time I saw him, my initial thought was, that you’d be all over him.” 

——xx——xx——

Settling in had been easy, her suite in the hotel had wonderful with a view of the ocean and  the most important thing her own coffee maker. 

The one thing that Romy already despised, was the overall fixation on shorts on this island. 
Her legs, were her one weakness, never tanning and just a bit too big to be considered anything close to lean, they were constantly marred with bruises of her bumping into things. 
Why was everyone wearing shorts! 
She sighed and held her flowing dress a bit higher as she stepped into the surf of the Pacific Ocean. This was the life! Feet in the water, sun in the face. Consciously she rubbed the back of her neck, it was already peeling from the sunburn she got yesterday. 

Wandering along the beach, her feet constantly in the water, while her flip flops dangled off her fingers. This was going to be the best year, she just knew it! How could it not be, she was in paradise. 

“Best shrimps on the island.” A banner, strung between two palm trees, proudly proclaimed. She was hungry indeed! The picnic benches in front of the food truck were busy, always a good sign. 

Romy read through the menu tacked next to the truck. 

“Can’t decide, sugar?” A voice appeared right next to her. 
Moving a little bit to the side, Romy has no chance to respond, as a massive native Hawaiian barrelled towards her. 
“Hey! How often have I told you to not hit on the customers!” 
“Sorry, bruh!” The other guy lifted his hands defensively. 
“Back to work!” 
“Sorry about that, sistah. The low life knows better than to talk to customers.” 
“It’s ok. He didn’t do anything.” Romy smiled.
“Not yet” Was the grumbled reply “you ain’t from here.” 
“What gave me away?”
“The accent” He laughed now “and the sun burn. Real islanders don’t get sunburned.” 
“Touché!” Romy grinned. “Fresh off the boat as of three days ago.” 
“Which boat?”
“London.” 
“Nice! But you definitely need to work on your tan. You’re whiter than an English Rose.” 
“German rose.” Romy corrected. 
“What?” He had moved inside the truck now, and started to prepare some food. 
“German living in London, well, now Hawaii for a year.” 
“That explains the accent.” He nodded “what brings you to our beautiful island, German rose?” 
“Work.” 
“Not bad.”
“Yeah, If they send me somewhere to work, paradise is still the best place.” 
“So right sistah, so right!” He handed her a plate of shrimp over the counter. 
Romy inhales the aroma of garlic and parsley - heaven! 
She fumbled for some notes in her dress pocket. 
“It’s on the house!” 
“What, no! You have a business to run.” 
“Your money is no good here, German rose.” 
Romy pushed some notes into the tip Jar next to her. 
“Thank you! I’m Romy.” She extended her hand over the counter. “Kamekona.” They shook hands. 
Romy made the connection and she pointed to his T-shirt with his face and name on “Great marketing strategy.” 
She took her shrimps and sat down at one of the picnic tables. 
And hands down those were the best garlic shrimp ever! 

She looked up when Kamekona sat down opposite her. “How much do you know about marketing strategies?” He pushed a beer across the table to her. 
Romy shrugged “it’s part of my job to figure out a marketing strategy for hotels.” 
“Care to share any tips?” Kamekona smiles at her. 
“Sure, as long as you keep me in garlic shrimp.” Romy returned the smile. 
“First tip?” 
“Don’t lie and make yourself memorable” Romy laughed “and going after these shrimps.” She gestured to the banner “This is not a lie.”
“Thanks, German rose. We’ve got a deal.” He shook her hand again and got up. 
Romy watched him go and chatting with a guy who just arrived in a blue pick up. 
He was gorgeous, short dark hair, eyes hidden by a pair of wayfarers similar to her own, board shorts and a T-shirt, that did nothing to hide his exquisite physique and tattoos. 
Romy grinned, Lauren would be all over him. 

——xx——xx——

“For once you listened to me...and bagged yourself a hot a surfer dude. I really can’t wait to meet him.” Lauren giggled.  
Both women laughed, their hands clasped together in the middle of the table. 
“All right!” Kamekona put down a massive plate with a flourish “Not that I want to interrupt your moment, but here comes the food.” 
“This looks amazing.” Lauren gushed and Romy could see him almost growing by another inch. She shook her head, Lauren had that effect on men. 

Getting out of the car, Steve noticed her immediately, a smile bloomed on his face. Romy was sitting at one of the benches, another woman, he assumed Lauren sat opposite of her.  The woman’s dark brown hair was shoulder length  and she kept blowing her fringe out of her almost black eyes.
Romy laughed at something she said, her sunglasses were perched on her nose instead of her customary glasses and the strap of her dress had slipped down her shoulder.  She looked so relaxed. 
“Romy!” while he had admired his girl, Nahele apparently had barrelled over to her “What are you doing here?” 
“Shouldn’t I be asking you that? It’s a school day.” 
“Nah, Steve took me out today.”
“Excuse me!” the tone of her voice said everything, he was in trouble if he didn’t intervened soon. 
“Hey, ladies.” He bent down at his waist, kissed Romy on the cheek. 
“Hello and care to tell me why this one” Romy gestured to Nahele who had sat down next to Lauren “isn’t in school.” 
“Come on Romy.” Nahele groaned. 
“Yeah, come on Romy.” Lauren jumped in “I thought you were cool.” 
Romy glared at her friend unimpressed “I am cool.”
“For a grandma.” Lauren teased back. 
“It’s teacher’s day.” Steve murmured “And I always think you’re cool.” His fingers sliding up her arm, pushing the wayward strap back into place. 
Lauren couldn’t help but notice the shiver that went through her friend, Romy had it so bad. 
“Don’t think you can distract me that easily.” Romy grouched, but the heart eyes she made at Steve told a different story. Lauren couldn’t help but smile at the display those two made. Steve had swung down on the bench next to her, his hand finding a comfortable place on Romy’s leg. 
“Are they always like this?” Lauren fake whispered to Nahele. 
“Yep ”, the teenager popped the ‘p’ with a smirk. 
“Watch it, kiddo.” Romy threw her napkin at Nahele, before introducing Steve and Nahele to her friend. 
“So, Lauren what’s the plan for your holiday?” 
“Not much, Steve, mainly catching up with this one here.”, she pointed at Romy. 
“Well, if you ladies haven’t gotten any plans yet for Saturday we’ll be having a defeat celebration at my place.” 
“A defeat celebration?” 
“Yeah, you see two weeks ago, I won a golf game against one of my friends and we still haven’t celebrated his defeat and my win.” 
“That sounds like fun.” 
“Of course it would to you.” Romy pointed out “You’re almost as competitive as he is.” 
“You say it like it’s a bad thing.” Lauren poked out her tongue. 
“Romy doesn’t like playing for points.” Nahele threw in. 
“It’s just stupid, why does there always need to be a looser?”
“So there can be a winner.” Steve bumped his shoulder into Romy. 
“I give up!” Romy threw her hands up in defeat, a smile playing on her lips.
Kamekona interrupted the squabble effectively, setting down another round of shrimp on the table. They were half way through the second plate when Steve’s phone rang. 
“McGarrett.” he shot an apologetic grin to Romy before turning his attention to the phone call. “All right, I’m on my way.” 
“I’m sorry, I just got a case.” 
Romy nodded, but Nahele looked a bit down. “So sorry buddy, I know we wanted to catch some more waves.” 
“It’s alright, Steve.” 
“I’ll call you later.” Steve leaned over to Romy. 
“Yes, please.” Romy cradled his face in her hands “Be careful, Commander.” 
Steve kissed her deeply “Always.” 
Romy threw him a look that translated into ‘Really?’ 
“Trying to be, that work for you gorgeous?” Romy rolled her eyes in response. 
He stood up from the table “See you later. Lauren it was great to meet you.” 
“You too, Steve.”  Lauren smiled, as Steve leaned down once more pressing his lips to Romy’s temple and murmuring something in her friends ear. Romy squeezed his arm and nodded to whatever he said to her. Steve jogged over to his truck, switching the siren on as he drove off to the next crime scene. 

“I know we’re not as cool as Steve, but do you fancy hanging out with us?” 
Nahele shoved another shrimp in his mouth, before asking, “Eh..whats your plans?”
“Shopping, mani / pedis, maybe a facial” Romy saw Nahele’s face drop and  it morphed to slight horror “I’m joking kiddo.” Romy laughed “We were just going to veg out at the beach, maybe getting this one on a board for the first time.” 
“Count me in.” 

 

——xx——xx——

 

“Oh wow.” Lauren eyes blown wide as they got out of Romy’s car on Saturday. 
“It’s beautiful, isn’t it.” 
“Yeah.” 
Handing over the bottles to Lauren, Romy fumbled in her handbag, pulling out a key chain, she let herself and Lauren in.  Catching Lauren’s watchful eye, she shook her head quickly “Don’t - please don’t start.” 
Lauren was looking around the house, as Romy lead her through the living room, office onto the lanai. The house was beautiful. 
Stepping out onto the lanai, she could see the party already being in full swing, a banner strung between two palm trees disclaiming “Congratulations on loosing, Lou.” 
Steve was standing with two other guys in front of the barbecue, seeming in a deep discussion. Another group containing Kamekona were putting up tables in the shade and teenagers were already playing in the water…the water…holy crap this house has its own beach.  
Lauren was startled out of her musings as a girl, she must not be older than 13 run up to them screaming “Aunt Romy, Aunt Romy you’re here!” she threw herself around Romy, effectively drenching her from head to toe. 
“Hey, sweet girl” Romy greeted the girl, giving her a squeeze. “Grace, I want you to meet my friend Lauren. Lauren, this is Grace. She’s Danny’s daughter.” 
“I love your swimsuit, Grace.” Lauren complimented the teenager. 
“Thank you! Uncle Steve took me shopping and I was allowed to pick out whatever I wanted.” Romy suppressed a chuckle, remembering the panicked texts from Steve as Grace settled on a triangle bikini. 
“Hi ladies”, Steve had ambled up to them, resting his hands on Grace’s shoulders he leaned over her and kissed Romy in greeting. 
“Did you fell into the water on your way here?” he nodded to Romy’s completely wet T-Shirt. 
“Oh, I am so sorry, Aunt Romy.” Grace bit her lip. 
“No worries, Grace.” Romy shot her a wink. 
“Why don’t you change into something dry and I’ll introduce Lauren to the others” Steve suggested and held out his arm to Lauren. 
“Lead the way, Commander.” Lauren linked her arm with his and stepped out onto the grass. 
“Can I come with you, Aunt Romy?” 
“Sure.” Romy and Grace made their way inside. Romy looked over her shoulder, Lauren was already charming the 5-0 team. 

Grace sat on the bench in Steve’s bedroom, watching Romy go through the bureau “Which one?” Romy held up two of her t-shirts in front of her. Grace shook her head “None of them.” She looked around the room, seeing Steve’s blue SEAL shirt lying on the bed. 
“What about this one?” she held it up. 
“You want me to wear Steve’s shirt?” Romy looked at her questioningly. 
“Yeah the colour suits you.” ‘And it should make it clear, that only you are allowed to touch Steve and call him Commander’ 
“Ok.” Not really sure what suddenly gotten into Grace, Romy took off her wet T-Shirt, revealing her dark green bikini top underneath. Slipping on Steve’s shirt she tied a knot in it to make it fit better, exposing a sliver of her not so toned stomach. Luckily her bikini bottom and her cut off 501’s are high raise so she didn’t feel too exposed. 
“Come on, kiddo. Let’s join the others.” 

Lauren had been regaling Steve and his O’hana with some tales of Romy, having them in stitches, especially with her stories about a drunken Romy on the tube. 
“Should I be scared that you have these guys laughing?” Romy joined the huddle. Steve regarded her outfit choice with a smile, that shirt always looked good on her.
“Just sharing some stories.” Lauren grinned back at her. 
“Romy, how come we haven’t seen any of your London antics yet.” Danny crossed his arms in front of his chest. 
“Lauren, what did you tell them?” she asked her friend with a laugh. Romy leaned back into Steve’s chest, he held her close to his chest with his thumbs in her belt loops. 
“I shared your love for the tube late at night.” 
“Oh god! You didn’t” Romy let her head fall against Steve shoulder. 
Steve chuckled, and squeezed her to him “I never knew you’d rendition ‘London’s Calling’ once drunk.” 
“Kill me now.” Romy groaned.
“You’ve got another one?” Kono enquired. 
“Sure.” Lauren took a sip of her beer “Romy wasted is always good fun. Haven’t you experienced this first hand?” 
“No, I can’t say I have.” 
“And you never will.” Romy stated firmly. 
“I mean the best times were in Amsterdam” a voice behind them announced. James, Romy’s colleague had two six packs in his hand and greeted all of them. 
“Amsterdam?” Steve looked down Romy, who tried to hide her face in his neck. 
“Don’t James…please” she pleaded. 
“Well, there was never a week, when we didn’t have some sort of baked goods in our flat.” 
“Baked goods? Really? That's what you describe as best times?” Lou pulled his cigar out of his mouth. 
“Oh those had a special kick.” James grinned, receiving only questioning glances. 
“Ugh fine..” Romy glared at him “He means Marijuana, Lou. I baked really good Pot Brownies.” 
Kono and Lou started howling with laughter, while Steve regarded her sternly. 
“What it’s legal there…” Romy shrugged. 
“Oh gosh, yes I forgot about those. Didn’t you also made a Weed Wedding Cake for that one couple where the in laws hated each other?” Lauren asked. 
 Romy laughed "The most mellow wedding ever.” 
“I still stand with my opinion that your cookies are better than your brownies. I don’t care what this one says.” James pointed at Lauren. 
“Brownies? How come you’ve never made those for us, Romy.” Nahele and Grace had apparently enough from playing in the water and had joined the group. Now two parental figures glared at Romy. 
“Once these are legal here and you’re no longer underage, I’ll make you some” she tried to placate Steve and Danny, but that, apparently, wasn’t good enough. 
“You are not giving my daughter pot brownies, Romy Erhardt!” 
“You make magic brownies?!” Nahele’s eyes went big and he looked at Romy with awe. 
“None for you!” Steve barked out. 
“Steve, come on.” Romy batted her eyelashes at him “Please don’t tell me you’ve never had a joint or a cookie?” 
“I was at military school and then joined the Navy, they don’t look at drug abuse lightly.” 
“Might do you some good. Mellow you out a little bit” she patted his cheek patronisingly as the rest of the group laughed. 

——xx——xx——

“She’s so happy.” Lauren mumbled, she watched Romy and Steve standing in front of the open fire place roasting marshmallows. Steve was feeding her with some of the melted gooeyness and Romy was laughing so much it was getting anywhere but her mouth. 
“So is he.” Danny followed her line of sight. The two shared a fond a smile. 
“It’s going to be difficult when she leaves.” Danny took a sip of his beer. 
Lauren shook her head, how can nobody see it. 
“She won’t, if he asks her to stay.” 
“You think so?” 
“I know my girl.” 
“He’d never do that. Doesn’t want to limit her.” 
“He should. She needs to hear that he wants her to stay.”
“He won’t. I know my boy.” 
Both them sighed, watching how Steve settles into one of his wooden beach chairs. Romy sitting sideway on his lap, almost disappearing in a gigantic hoodie, a beer bottle being shared between them. 
“Come on. Let’s join our two idiots.” Danny guided Lauren down to the rest of the group. 

 

——xx——xx——

 

The Five - 0 team stood around the computer table in the middle of their headquarters, listening to Chin who moved details around on the screen. 
“Sorry, are we interrupting anything?” Romy cleared her throat. 
“Oh shoot!” Kono looked at her watch, noticing the time for the first time “We are done, aren’t we boss?” she addressed Steve. 
“Yeah, we are done here.” 
“Thanks!” Kono turned to Romy and Lauren “I just need 10 minutes to change” with that she flew towards her office to grab her stuff. 
“What have you ladies planned for tonight?” Chin asked. 
“We actually don’t know. Kono promised us a night to remember.” Looking over to her man, Romy asked “Steve, you alright there?” 
“You look…” he swallowed, while letting his eyes slowly rake over Romy. 
“If you complete this sentence with anything other but hot, we’ll have an issue.” 
Romy was wearing a black mini wrap dress with a deep v neck, her lipstick somehow managed to match the red of her sandals. 
“I was gonna say absolutely amazing.” he grinned at her from across the table. 
Romy winked at him “Acceptable.” 
“Shall we leave the two of you alone?” Danny wanted to know. 
“Don’t even think about it.” Lauren poked Romy in the shoulder. 

“Sorry ladies, I am late!” Renee almost fell through the door. 
“What are you doing here, Mrs Grover?” Lou stared at his wife, he hadn’t seen her that dressed up in a while. 
“Going out with the ladies” she kissed her husband on the cheek in greeting. 
“Let’s hit the town!” Kono came out of her office ready to go. 
“Bye guys!” the ladies shouted as they made their way to the door. 
“Oh and Lou” Renee tossed over her shoulder “the kids are waiting for you to cook dinner.” 
Laughing the four women made their way out of the palace and off to dinner in a new Japanese Restaurant in Downtown Honolulu.  

After dinner, the four of them settled into Lewers Lounge for some cocktails. 
“Now it’s your turn, Romy.” Renee pointed at her, Mai Tai sloshing in her hand. 
“Yeah Romy” Kono chimed in “We all have shared how we met our other halves, or flavours of the month.” she nodded to Lauren. 
“What you guys don’t know either?” Lauren screeched “I thought she just didn’t want to share with us at home.” 
Three sets of eyes stared at her and Romy could feel that there was no way out “Ok, ok… I tell you.” 

——xx——xx——

“German Rose! You are back.” Kamekona greeted her jovially. 
“Well, you do have the best shrimps!” Romy grinned at him. 
“Take a seat. I’ll be with you in a sec.” 
“Thanks!” 
Romy sat down on the one free table. Her first week at work had been stressful and she only managed to come here once since her first visit. Trying to make sense of all the difference strategies and plans the hotel had in place, has her head spin so badly, that she decided if she needed to work late on a Friday, she’d do it outside and with good food. 

Kamekona returned with her garlic shrimp and a beer. 

Sighing Romy started to spread out her notebook and a massive dossier she printed today. Taking a bite of her food, she started to read and wanted to bang her head against the wooden table after the first three pages. 

“What did you do to get table service here?” 
Her head shot up, and her eyes widened slightly, before a shy grin and a blush appeared on her face. 
“Shouldn’t the question be, what didn’t you do?” She countered. 
“Yeah, I really should speak with Kamekona.” He held out his hand “I’m Steve McGarrett.” 
“Romy Erhardt.” She shook his hand “You want to sit down, Steve? It’s kinda packed today.” 
“I don’t want to disturb you.” He gestured to her paperwork. 
“Any excuse to put this away until Monday.” Romy laughed and pushed her papers together. 
Both started to dig into their food, and randomly the conversation flew easily between them.
“How long have you been on the island?” 
“A bit more than a week. It’s been an adjustment.” 
Steve laughed “How so?”
“It’s a small island. Everyone seems to know everyone. It’s different to anywhere else I’ve been.” 
“Where have you been before?” 
“Work has been sending me all over the place, assignment to assignment.” 
“What kinda job takes you from place to place? I guess you are not military.”
Romy laughed out loud “Nope, definitely not military, people at home would get a kick out of that.” She continued to giggle. “I’m actually in hotels, consulting how our hotels can make more money and open new hotels, that kind of stuff.”
“And that brings you to Hawaii?” 
“Yeah, the owner of my company likes to buy where he wants to holiday” 
Steve gulped, that sounded crazy. 
“I get it.” Romy smiled “Some people just have too much money to know what to do with it. But he’s a nice person and actually understands something of hotels.” 
“Where did it bring you before Hawaii?”
“A couple of places around Europe and New York.” 
Steve hummed appreciatively. 
“So, Steve McGarrett, what do you do?” 
“I’m the head of the 5-0 task force here on the island.”
“Law enforcement, impressive.”
“The Navy beforehand.” Steve elaborated. 
“Now you’re just showing off.” Romy quipped. 
“I’m a Navy Seal actually.” Steve smirked. 
“My heart!” Romy put her hand on her chest letting out a fake swoon “How are there still criminals left on this island.”
Steve laughed out loud, she was refreshing! 
“How do you know Kamekona?” Romy put her elbows on the table, her beer bottle dangling from her fingers. 
“He’s my friend and sometimes informant to 5-0.” Steve pushed his empty plate to the side and leaned forward on the table as well “and his food is amazing.” 
“You do know that you didn’t answer my question, right?” Romy smirked right back at him. 
“Worth a try.” Steve shot her a half smile, and Romy fought down a blush. 
“It’s either a secret or embarrassing” Romy contemplated “but if it had been confidential you’d have just said so. So I’m going with embarrassing. Come on spill!” Her smile was almost blinding. 
“Come on spill? Who am I? One of your girlfriends?” 
Romy laughed “Well all of them are at least 10,000 km away. So you’ll do.” 
“Nope!” Steve crossed his arms over his chest. 
“Or I can just ask Kamekona.” Romy lifted her head to seek him out. 
“No, no!” Steve could only imagine what Kamekona would say, he would definitely embellish it the wrong way. 
“On our very first case, we needed some intel and Chin introduced us to Kamekona. 
He didn’t had a shrimp truck at that point, just his shave ice hut. But already a penchant for horrible T-shirt’s with his face on it. He had some conditions before answering our questions.” Steve took a breath. 
Romy patted his arm comforting “You can do this.” She grinned. 
Steve snorted “Keep it up and I’ll stop.” Romy pressed her lips together to contain her smile and motioned with her hand for Steve to continue. 
“He made me and my partner Danny stand in front of his truck wearing massive T-shirts with his face on it eating shave ice. To top it off he made us pay for the fucking ice and horrible shirts.” 
Romy burst out laughing and let her head fall in her hands. Lifting it back up again, Steve could see that there were tears in her eyes. When was the last time he made someone double over and cry with laughter, he could not remember. 
“Don’t say anything.” He crossed his arms over his chest, he could see her eyes sparkling with humour. 
Romy made a motion of zipping her lips shut. 
“It was a lesson in humility and worth the intel we got. Danny still bitches about it though”
Romy had regained her breath, just the visual of handsome, sexy Steve in one of Kamekona’s shirts eating some kind of ice cream made her tear up again. 
“Ok, can I have two follow up questions and I’ll promise to never bring this up again.” 
“Sure.”
“Who’s Danny?” 
“He’s my right hand at 5-0 and O’hana.”
“O’hana?”Romy pronounced carefully back.
“Hawaiian for family.” Steve explained.
“That sounds beautiful.” Romy murmured, before grinning at him “My second question, is there photographic evidence?”
Steve’s eyes widened comically “Not that I know of.”
“I’m disappointed that Kamekona would not take a picture and use it for advertisement.” Romy shook her head playfully. 
“You wouldn’t.”
“It’s perfect for promotion. Two good looking guys eating your product, it sells itself.”
“How would you know Danny is good looking? For all you know, he could have beady eyes and a limp.” 
“A guess.” Romy shrugged. “But I’m sure if he had beady eyes and a limp, he’d pull it off.” A smirk appeared on his lips.
“Don’t ever tell him that.”
Romy looked at him ‘Dude, how the heck would I’ literally spilling from her eyes. 
“We come here a lot, and you’re Kamekona’s favourite customer, it’s bound to happen.” Steve shrugged. 
Romy nodded and a blush appeared on her face, being called a favourite customer, the feeling was mutual. 
“One more question.”
“Nope, you said two and not three.”
“Please , Steve. I promise I won’t ask for photos again.” Romy pouted.
Steve was mesmerised, her lips still had some lipstick on and her bottom lip looked so kissable. ‘Kissable, dammit Steve, get a grip.’ 
“Ok, final question.”
“What is shaved ice?”
Now that had Steve shocked, he stood up abruptly and held out his hand “how can you’ve been on this island for over a week and not had shaved ice.”
Romy looked at him and back at his hand, slightly confused.
“Come on” he pushed his hand right in front of her “I’m taking you for a shave ice.” 
“I..I don’t have a car yet...” Romy stammered out and placed her hand in his.
“I said I’m taking you.” A grin appeared on his face, before he frowned quickly, if she didn’t have a car how was she getting around the island for over a week now. He hoped she wasn’t taking the bus, some of the streets were a bit shady coming to Kamekona’s. 
He pulled her off the bench and voiced the question . 
“Taxi, the Bus or  walking.” Romy shrugged. 
“I’ll drive you home after shave ice.” Steve declared, before his hand dropped to the small of her back, guiding Romy to his truck. 

——xx——xx——

Renee and Kono almost swooned as Romy finished her tale, but Lauren’s face had darkened. 
“You got into his car?”, she bit out. 
Romy nodded and Lauren blew out some air. 
“You got into a strangers car? Just like that? You?” Lauren’s voice got louder. 
“Please.” Romy squeezed her friend’s hand. 
“No! I can’t believe you were so careless! Have you forgotten what happened last time.” 
Romy recoiled, if Lauren’d slapped her, it wouldn’t have hurt more. 
“Girls?” Kono interrupted gently “What’s going on?”
The two friends stared at each other, a silent conversation taking place. Lauren looked almost apologetic for bringing it up, Romy was resigned. Sooner or later it would always become a topic. 
“Go on.” She nodded to Lauren. 
“No...I can’t it’s your...”
“You brought it up.” Romy took almost some pleasure from Lauren’s pained expression. 
Her friend shook her head, and downed her drink. 
“This is not the place to share something like this. I know I should have told you sooner and I will, I promise.” Romy apologised. 
“You don’t need to tell us anything, girl.” Renee squeezed Romy to her. 
“But when you want and are ready to tell us, we are here to listen.” Kono finished Renee’a sentence.
“Thank you!” 
“Now that I’ve put a downer on the night.” Lauren looked at them contritely “Any chance  to lighten the mood again?”
“How about dancing? There’s a great little club nearby.” Kono suggested. 
“Yes!” The four women made their way out of the bar, trying to catch a taxi. 
Lauren took Romy’s hand and held her friend back
“I’m sorry.”
“It’s ok.”
“Does Steve know?”
Romy nodded “yeah he does.”  

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy tried to be quiet, she really did, but she was exhausted. Kono and Lauren were a dangerous combination. Stumbling through the door she hit her elbow on the stair case. How has she not managed to wake up Steve? 
Opening the bedroom door quietly, Steve already turned around, his eyes flutterung open “Romy?”
“Go back to sleep, Schnuffi”, she said and promptly connected her knee painfully with the bed frame. 
“Fuck!” Romy whisper screamed. That’s going to be another big ass bruise, like her legs needed anymore. 
That woke him up properly, Steve sat up.
“I’m sorry. I didn’t want to wake you.” Romy bit her lip, while unbuckling her sandals. 
“It’s ok.” A sleepy smile stretched over his face. 
Romy climbed carefully out of the bed and headed to the en suite. ‘Just take of your makeup, then you can fall into bed’ she bargained with herself, while suppressing a yawn. Make up removed she stumbled the two steps back into the room. Steve had shifted over and held the side of the sheet open for her. 
Thankfully Romy climbed in, cuddling up close to his side. Steve turned as well and wrapped his arms around her, engulfing her completely. 
“Loving this surprise visit, but shouldn’t you be with Lauren?” He pressed a kiss on the back of her neck. 
Yawning Romy answered “She pulled someone.” 
“She what?” Steve’s lips moves against the skin of her neck. 
“She found someone else to go home with.” 
“And you’re ok with that?”
“It’s Lauren. I would have been worried if she didn’t find somebody on a night out.” Romy chuckled and held his hand closer to her chest, while snuggling even closer to him.
“Still” Steve grumbled. 
“It made me come here...I missed sleeping next to you.”
“Thank god, the bed was way too empty!” Then a moment later “How did you get here?”
“Taxi.”
“Next time call me and I’ll pick you up.” 
“Steve...” Romy sighed. She didn’t need him to come pick her up from a night out, she was more than capable to flag down a cab.  
“Just say ok.” 
Closing her eyes, she pressed a kiss to his palm “Ok.” 
“G’night Romy.” 
“Sweet dreams.” 
Steve pulled her a bit closer, buried his nose in her hair and sleep claimed him again. 

——xx——

Rolling over to avoid the sunlight streaming into his bedroom, Steve collided with a soft body. Smiling he opened his eyes, yes, Romy had come over after her night out. 
He kissed her bare shoulder before slipping out of bed, trying to be quiet to give her a couple more minutes. 

Getting dressed and the coffee going didn’t take long at all, by the time he was on his second cup Romy appeared in the door way. 
“Don’t ever let Kono organise a night out.” She groaned, her hand was supporting her head even while she was standing up.
He handed her a cup of coffee before pulling her close. “Too many Mai Tais?” 
“Not even that...just knackered...I’m too old to party like that” Romy whined. 
“Poor baby.” Steve teases her while scratching his fingers rhythmically over her scalp, causing Romy to moan at the sensation.
“Yeah poor me.” She felt really sorry for herself. It wasn’t a hangover she just felt tired. 
“What’s the plan for today?”
“Lauren messaged earlier, we are supposed to pick up that bloody paddle board, but now she’d like to spend some more time with whoever she met last night, so I’m gonna pick it up by myself.”
“I still can’t believe she bought a board.”
“Tell me about it. I asked her if she plans to paddle home.” 
“How did that go down?” 
“She bought a wet suit.” Romy deadpanned, her eyes showed her displeasure and Steve chuckled.  “God knows how I’m getting all that crap in my car.” 
“Take the truck.”
“What?”
“Take my truck, Romy. You never fit the board and all the other things in yours.”
“You sure?”
“Of course! You’d need to drop me off at the Palace though.”
“You’re letting me drive?!” 
“Every rule needs an exception.” Steve took the last sip of his coffee. “Just remember this is not the German motorway, we do have speed limits.” 
“Ah man...that means putting the siren on is out of question too?” 
“Romy!” Steve jerked up from putting the breakfast dishes in the dishwasher. 
“Just a joke. Relax.” 
“I don’t want any phone calls from HPD regarding my car today.” Steve threw Romy the car keys. 
Getting into the truck, she adjusted the mirrors and seat, she turned to him squeezing his hand. 
“Thanks.” 
“Anytime, gorgeous.” 

 

——xx——xx——

 

Steve sat at his desk, the day had only been filled with paper work so far. Danny stood in his door, trying to distract himself from his own report writing duties, when his desk phone rang. 
“McGarrett.” he greeted into the phone, effectively stopping Danny’s complaining. 
“Commander McGarrett, this is dispatch. Has your car been stolen? We received a call reporting a car accident with serious injuries.” 
“My car stolen?” Steve looked at the display of his phone to double check if it’s really dispatch.
“Yes, sir. Your car was involved in the accident. Has it been stolen? 
“No, no my girlfriend drove my car today.” Why, oh why can’t this call be for someone else? “When…Where did it happen?”
“The call just came in, Commander. It happened at Kapiolani Boulevard corner Pensacola Street. First responders have been dispatched to the scene not even 5 minutes ago.” 
“I’m on my way.” 
Steve stormed out of the office, Danny hot on his heels.
“Steve! Steve, what’s happened?” 
“There was an accident.” 
Their raised voices drew the others out of their offices. 
“I get that, babe. But since when has an accident you riled up?” Danny tried to calm him down, his hands up like Steve was a spooked horse. 
“Dispatch recognised my number plate and called me right away.” After a second, his voice desperate and low “Romy had my car today.” 
Steve raced down to the elevator, pushing the button excessively. 
“Do you know where it happened?” 
Steve nodded tensely “Kapiolani Boulevard.” 
Rushing out of the palace, Steve already had the car in gear and driving, when Danny was not even sitting properly yet. 
“Steven! I get that you’re worried, but can I at least close the door before you drive off and cause the next accident.” 

A million thoughts ran through Steve’s head as he drove the short distance to the accident site. What if she was the serious injury?  What if he lost her? 

Arriving at the accident site with squealing tires, Steve jumped out of the car. HPD had already courted off the scene, his car was pushed almost all the way over the 4 lanes at the traffic light. A small blue sports car, completely totalled was pushed right against the drivers door.
That’s when he saw it, a flash of red in the drivers seat of his car. 

And his heart stopped. 

 

Chapter 10: Lehua Flower

Summary:

A car accident...past memories boil to the surface...a late night chat with Aunt Deb...and cuddles so many cuddles

Notes:

Warnings: Drama, description of the aftermath of rape and sexual assault,
Episode: Season 5 - No specific episode, sometime after Episode 16 & 17 but before Episode 18.

Hello lovelies,

How are you doing this week?
Thank you so much for all your responses for the last chapter.
Are you ready for another slice of Romy & Steve?
This one deals with the aftermath of rape and sexual assault, if this triggers you in any way please skip the parts. They are separate and not interwoven with the actual story, I hope I made this easily identifiable.
If you are a rape or sexual assault survivor, please know that you are not alone! You need any help, please contact the UK Rape Crisis Centre (rapecrisis.org) or rainn.org if you are in the US.

Enjoy xx

Chapter Text

 

——xx——xx——


“Romy!”

Steve flashed his badge at the officer holding the tape and tore towards his car, he came to a skidding halt, putting his hands on the hood.

“Romy!” he tried again, but no reaction. Her head leaned against the steering wheel. Why had the airbag not inflated?

He raced around to the passenger side, wrenching the car door open, Steve pushed himself up kneeling onto the car seat.

His heart taking up permanent residency in his throat.

Romy hadn’t moved, her eyes closed, the commotion around her had not caused her to shift, or even groan in pain.  She was never that still, not even when she was asleep.

“Please, please, please…” he mumbled. Reaching over the console he felt for her pulse, it was faint but there.

“Romy.” he moved some hair out of her face, she had lacerations around her forehead but he couldn’t seen any other injuries. A crunching noise made him look up. HFD moved the sports car from where it obstructed the driver’s door and started to open the door. The sudden movement caused Romy to jerk slightly, a groan escaped her.

“Careful!” Steve snarled at the firemen.

“It’s almost over, gorgeous. We are getting you out of here in a second.” He kept stroking her hair, she loved having her hair played with, anything to calm her…to calm himself.

Romy turned her head towards him, her eyes unfocused. “Steve?”

“Yeah, I’m right here. They are getting you out now. Where are you hurt?”

“I…I don’t know.”

“Commander McGarrett,” a paramedic stood on the now open driver’s door “if you’re not planning to move, could you assist us?" He held out a neck brace to Steve.

“Sure.” Carefully he wrapped the brace.

“Romy” the paramedic again “you have a bad cut on your left leg. I’m going to wrap that up and then we’re going to lift you out of the car, ok.”

“Ok.” she whispered.

Watching her getting lifted out of the car wasn’t anything he ever wanted to see again. “Where are you taking her?”

“Trippler, Commander.”

He grasped Romy’s hand jogging along the gurney “I’ll be right behind you, Romy.”

“I’m sorry about your car.”

“Forget about the car.” He squeezed her hand before letting go at the last second.

“You can ride with us, Commander.” The same paramedic, who’d handed him the neck brace gestured him to step into the car.

“Thank you.” Steve pulled himself inside, grabbing Romy’s hand again.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy had been drifting in and out of consciousness since they put her in the ambulance. She’d be able to answer Steve’s question better now...everything hurts. They tried talking to her but she couldn’t form a clear sentence, her thoughts a jumble of English and German. She could hear raised voices, when they pushed her out of the ambulance, a comforting pressure on her hand. Suddenly the pressure was gone, she tried to look around, but something prevented her from doing so.

 

“Romy, I’m Dr Ross, I’m the ER resident on duty and I’m gonna take good care of you today.” a good looking man appeared in Romy’s field of vision.

“Hi.” she whispered.

“Can you tell me what happened?

“Car accident…hit my head, I think…” she furrowed her brows trying to remember.

"All good. Do you know what day it is?" A flashlight was held into her eyes, startling her.

"27th February"

The doctor nodded and smiled to encourage her. "Good and which year?"

"2015"

The Exam Room opened with a flourish.

“Commander McGarrett, I told you to wait until the patient is ready for questioning.” A nurse stood behind Steve looking thoroughly unimpressed.

“And I told you, I’m not here to question her.”

“That’s what you said the last time and then you shot the patient in the leg. Don’t think I’ve forgotten.”

"Can I help you with anything?" Dr Ross turned around to Steve and the nurse.

“Romy.” Steve ignoring both the nurse and doctor, he made his way over to her. After they had arrived at the hospital the staff had whisked her away so quickly he didn’t have a chance to follow without being made by his favourite ER nurse.

"Ms Erhardt, do you know this man?"

"Of course, it’s Steve." Romy whispered.

“That’s good.  Do you have trouble breathing?” The doc noticed her laboured way of talking.

“It hurts.”

The doctor nodded to the nurse who pulled up her shirt, carefully exmanining her “Looks like a broken rib or two, we’ll get some X-rays done to be sure. Before anything else, I’ll need to clean that cut though.” he nodded to her left tight.

"Ouch!" Romy cried out in pain, trying to jerk her leg away.

"Sorry. We'll need to clean it out, so the wound doesnt infect."

Steve slipped his hand in Romy's "Squeeze as hard has you need to." his forehead coming to rest at Romy's temple.

“I’m so sorry.” Tears started to make their way down her face.

“For what?”

“The car. Some idiot ran the light, I think…Everything is fuzzy.”

“Gorgeous, I don’t care about the car.” Steve smiled softly.

“But…”

“Romy, I don’t care. The car can get fixed.” he said, pressing a kiss to her cheek. “How can you even think, I’d care more about the car than you?”

“You got a call from HPD. You said you didn’t want to a call from HPD when I drive your car.”

“I don’t give a fuck about what I said this morning.”

“I’m still sorry.”

Steve shook his head and his forehead touched Romy’s, his stubborn woman. “As long as you can still argue with me, everything is ok.”

“Alright“ Dr Ross looked up at them "this is all cleaned. We'll get you up to take some pretty pictures of your head and ribs and then stitch your wound up."

Once Romy was on her way to get X-rays and a CT Scan done, Steve went to search for Danny and the rest of his team. They must be in this hospital somewhere.  Finding them turned out to be easy, they all stood at the nurses station.

“Any news?” Steve asked.

“Apparently sports car driver sped through a red light and hit your car on the drivers side.” Danny explained.

“Was he drunk? Injured? Sick?” Steve asked. He needed something, as to why someone would run a red light and putting Romy in the hospital in the process.

“You not gonna like this, babe. It looks like he was just a fucking idiot running a red light.”

Oh how Danny wished Steve had aneurism face right now, he didn’t realise there could be a level above it, but there it was… murderous Steve face.

“Steve! Steve!” Danny ran after him, as his partner turned on his heel and stormed off down the hall. Jogging next to him to match his stride, Danny continued “Where do you think you’re going?”

“Going to find this piece of shit.”

“He was the severe injury, Steve. He’s here in this hospital, in surgery. Didn’t you see the car? It’s completely totalled. They don’t know if he’s going to make it.”

“Good.” Steve growled “I want him in 5-0 custody should he survive.”

“Babe.”

“He almost killed the woman I lo…” Steve interrupted himself, seeing the smug look on Danny’s face. “What if this happened to Grace...or Rachel?” That wiped the grin of his friends face pretty quickly, like any mentioning of Rachel does.

“I get it. Believe me I do. But running around waving our badge isn't going to make you feel better.”

“What about hitting him?”

“Who are we hitting?”

Chin and Kono caught up with them.

“He wants the guy responsible in 5-0 custody.”

“Ahem, yeah.” Kono agreed “What could we get him for, boss? Reckless driving? Attempted man slaughter? Endangerment  of the public?”

“This...” he pointed at Kono “This is what I wanted to hear. Not this poor idiot driver is getting surgery.”

“Why are you encouraging him?” Danny groaned.

"What? Romy is O'hana."

"Good, I want some detail on this guy as soon as he's out of surgery."

"Steve." Chin's calm voice made him take a breath "We've got this. We’ve got Romy’s back.”

Pursing his lips, Steve nodded. He didn’t like not being involved in this, but Kono was right, Romy is O’hana to them. They will not fail her.

“Mahalo.” He whispered and Chin squeezed his arm in understanding.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Steve was waiting for Romy to be brought back down, well if his pacing up and down the corridor could be called waiting, when an agitated voice made several heads in the ER raise.

“Romy Erhardt. She should have been brought in an hour ago. “

“Lauren.” Steve jogged over to her at the nurses station.

“Steve!” Lauren turned and enveloped him in a hug. “Romy?”

“Romy is alive.” He steadied the woman at her shoulders. “I need you to breathe.”

“Where is she?”

“They have taken her upstairs, to get X-Rays and a CT Scan done.”

“Oh God.” Lauren sunk on one of the plastic chairs, that lined the hospital corridor. Steve squatted in front of her. “I saw her, Lauren. Romy is talking, she got a cut on her leg, and they are checking her ribs and head for injuries.”

“This feels just like last time”, she mumbled.

“What do you mean?”

“You know hospitals smell exactly the same, doesn’t matter if its in Hawaii or England.” Lauren’s voice shook.

“Yeah, even the medical tents in Afghanistan have it.” Steve furrowed his brow, at the sudden topic change. Lauren closed her eyes, trying to keep the memories at bay, but the smell brought her back, right back to a February night 3 years ago.

 

——xx——xx——

 

She had driven her 1980’s Porsche like a mad woman out of London into the countryside. It was currently hazardously parked outside the hospitals main entrance, while she stumbled into the building. Her Ugg Boots got no traction on the marble floor wet with melting snow. She slid more than she walked to the reception, before she could ask any question. James appeared at her side “Lauren.”

He looked horrendous, he was still in his formal wear, tuxedo shirt untucked from his trousers, hair in disarray, eyes red rimmed.

“I came as soon as I could. What happened?”

“I...Romy....she....”

“What happened to Romy, James? Where is she?” Lauren became more hysterically by the second as James couldn’t answer, he just kept shaking his head.

“She..oh god...she...”

“James, is Romy...is she dead?”

That shook him out of his trance “What? No, no she isn’t. How could you think that?”

“You call me to drive out here in the dead of the night. You can’t get a full sentence out without sobbing. What the hell was I supposed to think?” She slapped his arm, with each question. Taking a breath Lauren turned to him “Talk to me.”

“We had the wrap party, and I ... I needed to stay to clean up. Why did I stay? I could have just done it tomorrow.” James shook his head. “He drove her home. She was a little tipsy, hell we all were...” He interrupted himself, a far away look on his face. “He passed me on the stairs into the flat. He said” a growl made it past his lips “she wasn’t feeling very well and better to let her sleep it off.” James pushed himself off the chair and started pacing. “If I had known, I’d kill him right on my front steps.”

“James...” Lauren’s voice small, she wasn’t sure if she wanted to know now.

“I went to check on her to see if she needed a bucket or something...but oh god Lauren...she laid on her bed, completely out of it, dress...I drove her straight here.”

“Oh god!”

 

——xx——xx——

 

Steve hands on her legs was the only solid thing for Lauren, while she recounted that memory. “I wasn’t there for her then and I wasn’t there now. I’m such a shitty friend.”

“Don’t do that to yourself.” Steve tried to be calm. He knew what happened that night from Romy, but to hear it from her friends perspective was a complete different ballgame. “Romy was talking to me, talking back at me actually. This is nothing like the last time, ok?” Lauren nodded. “My team is on it, the driver will be in custody as soon as he’s out of surgery. It will not be like last time.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

“What do you mean, you won’t press charges?” Lauren stood next to sofa Romy was currently bundled onto. Her fist clenched into the cushion had turned white from the pressure.

“Ms Erhardt, I am really sorry.”

“I went with him willingly, I got in his car willingly, that’s why right?” Romy mumbled.

“Willingly? You were drunk and drugged. I wouldn’t call that willingly.” Lauren raged.

“Ms Kincaid, I will not ask you again to be quiet.” Detective Sergeant Winston looked at her sternly. “Unfortunately, the drug that was administered is not traceable, that’s why its being used for this and he stays by his testimony, all happened consensually. You got into his car, you let him come upstairs into the flat, according to him all sexual contact was consensual and instigated by you.” Romy flinched at the DS. “There are no defensive wounds on him or you to disprove his story. All the tests you went through, all show an inconclusive picture.” She took a breath. “I’m sorry.”

The prosecutor stepped forward perching on the edge of the coffee table, she was not much older than Romy herself, maybe that was her first case. “Ro..Ms Erh...can i call you Romy?” The redhead nodded, Ms Erhardt was her mother in any case. “I can take this further, Romy. I can push this to trial if you really want but...”

“I got in the car. I got in the car of a guy I only knew for a couple of weeks willingly and  I was drunk, that’s...” she broke off and tried to keep the tears at bay.

“Yeah, that’s the ballgame if you will. His lawyers will make you testify, I will need you to testify. They will ask you how much you had to drink. What you wore. If you let him kiss you. They will tear you apart and I don’t want you to go through that.”

“I don’t care.”

“I appreciate that, Romy. But even if you come out on top, the evidence is so ambiguous, that it works in his favour.”

“There is no chance for him to be convicted is there?”

“The way our justice system works at the moment? Only 3% of rape cases lead to sentencing, I don’t want to make any false hope.”

“Innocent until proven guilty.” Romy choked out, the sarcasm badly concealed.

The prosecutor inclined her head.

“What...”Romy swallowed “What do I need to sign to stop all this?”

“Here.” DS Winston gave her a pen and the paper Romy needed to sign, that she would no longer pressing charges.

“If you ever need anything.” The prosecutor handed Romy her card.

“Thank you.”

The two women stood up and made their way to the door. “Ms Greene.” Romy called after them. The young prosecutor turned around “Yes?”

“Do you believe me?”

Ms Greene took the young woman on the sofa in, but with no hesitate in her voice she said “Yes, of course.”

“We both do.” DS Winston added.

They both watched the corners of Romy’s mouth lift a fraction. Closing the door behind themselves, DS Winston turned to Ms Greene “Sometimes I really hate my job.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

“I was mad at her last night.”

“Why?”

“She told us how you two met.”

Steve didn’t understand, there was nothing strange, they met at Kamekona’s and went for Shaved Ice afterwards...oh...it clicked with him. “She got into my car.” He whispered.

Lauren raised her eyebrows and shook her head “I couldn’t believe it when she told us. How could she get into someone’s car again? How could she be so irresponsible?”

“I don’t want to say its different, because from your side its not. But it was for us.” Steve shrugged his shoulders, unsure on how to put their first meeting into words. It didn’t matter right now, cause Lauren still looked absolutely miserable. “She wasn’t mad at you when she came home, she was happy. And this morning, she was in a good mood, joked on how to pick up your paddle board.”

“Oh god! She was on the way to pick up my board?” Lauren groaned. Before Steve could say anything further to elevate Lauren’s guilt, he was tapped on the shoulder.

“Commander McGarrett?” His favourite ER nurse stood behind them. “Ms Erhardt has just been brought back downstairs. The same room as before.”

“Thank you.” Steve nodded. “You ready to see how she’s doing?” He addressed Lauren.

“Yeah.” Lauren let herself be pulled up by Steve and together they made their way to Romy’s Exam room.

 

Steve stood back, as he watched the two friends embrace, taking the opportunity to check in with the rest of the team. He stepped into the rooms a couple of minutes later, the two of them sitting on Romy’s bed and watching the doctor finish up the stitches on Romy’s leg.

“The other driver is still in surgery, but Kono and Chin found traffic cam footage that shows how he busted the light at high speed and crashed right into you at the intersection.”

“What does that mean?” Lauren asked. Romy didn’t even acknowledge him.

“Just means we can arrest him as soon as he’s out of surgery for reckless driving and causing bodily harm.”

“Good! And you are sure that will stick?” Lauren’s eyes still look a bit haunted.

“Yes. I’ll personally make sure of it.” Steve now looked at Romy a bit closer. “Gorgeous are you ok?” He rested his hands on the rail of the foot of her gurney and leaned forward.

“Mhm” Romy turned to him.

“We gave her some strong pain killers to help with her ribs and me doing the stitches. She’s pretty out of it.” Dr Ross piped up from Steve’s side, almost causing him to jump.

“She’s high.” Lauren giggled.

“I’m soooo stoned” Romy let out dreamily and her head fell back on the back of the gurney.

“That you are, gorgeous.”

“They gave me the good stuff, Steve.” Her smile wide and dopey.

“We only have the best of stuff here, Romy.” Dr Ross said. “And we are done.” He declared a second later. “The pictures of her CT Scan and X - Rays are coming back in a moment.” As if on cue the door opened and a young woman handed the films over. Looking at them closely the doctor nodded “So we’ve got a fractured rib, as I suspected.” He held up the CT Scans. “And luckily no concussion or traumatic brain injury, that means we only deal with a case of whiplash. There might be a headache and neck pain in the next couple of days but those should not be too severe.”

“That doesn’t sound fun.” Romy commented from the gurney.

The doctor held in a chuckle “No not really, but if you have someone at home with you, I can release you today.”

“Are you sure, Doc? Shouldn’t she be here with a broken rib?” Steve had moved to perch onto the gurney behind her and stroked Romy’s hair.

“There is no need, as long as she isn’t alone.”

“I’m living with her until I go home in two days.” Lauren assured the doctor.

“Great, the best would be 72 hours of supervision but 48 will be ok as well.”

“No...” Romy shook her head with a wince. “No don’t want to go.”

“You want to stay in the hospital?” Steve dropped his chin to his chest in an effort to  catch her eyes.

“No.” She whined again. “I wanna go home.” Her head rolled onto Steve shoulder, her chin settling on his collarbone.

“Lauren will be with you at the hotel.” Steve tried again.

“No.” Romy’s brows furrowed, why doesn’t he understand, her drugged up mind needing a second to come up with the right words. “I want to go home. Home with you.” The last part was whispered into his shoulder. Steve couldn’t have stopped the smile that spread over his face, even if he tried to. Home was at his house, he’d carry her out of the hospital all the way to ‘Āina Haina, if he had too.

“Of course, gorgeous. I’ll take you home.” He turned his head and kissed her forehead, careful with the bruising she had there.

“I want her back here in a couple of days to check the stitches.” The doctor directed at Steve. “She can walk around, but should use crutches for longer distances. If the headaches get worse, or she has severe dizziness and nausea, please come back here immediately. Otherwise strong pain killers for the next couple of days for the rib and taking it easy, will do the trick. She should be back to work in a week or two if there are no complications.”

“Thanks Doctor Ross.” Steve stretched his hand that wasn’t currently laid on by Romy to shook the doctors hand.

“My pleasure. I’ll leave her prescriptions out at the station where you can schedule her follow up appointment.” With that the doctor left the exam room.

While the nurse helped Romy to sit up and get her into Steve’s shirt, which he had sacrificed so Romy didn’t need to go home in her torn blouse from the accident.

Waiting at the nurses station was Danny “Hey babe.” He greeted Steve. “Where did your shirt go?” He regarded Steve now only dressed in his grey T-Shirt.

“Romy needed something to wear”

Danny nodded and didn’t dare to comment any further “You’ll be happy to know that I drove your car to the body shop and a new door is fitted as we speak. You can pick it up tomorrow. Jerry has collected the paddle board and its waiting at the hotel for Lauren. Kono is waiting outside taking you”

“And Romy” Steve interrupted.

“She’s getting out already?”

“Yeah, apparently a gash in the leg, a fractured rib and whiplash, don’t warrant a nights stay in this hospital.” Steve’s face was unreadable.

“Well then Kono can take Romy back to her place”

“Nope, she’s coming home with me. She needs someone with her for the next 72 hours.”

“Ok...” Danny took a breath. “Then you and Romy drive to yours with Kono. And I”

“If you and Lauren” Steve interrupted once more, earning himself raised eyebrows and a scowl from Danny. “could actually go to the hotel and pack more of Romy’s clothes and stuff. I don’t think the clothes she has at mine are enough.”

Danny didn’t know what was happening - Steve let her have clothes over? He still remembered the battle of the toothbrush with Catherine.

“And someone needs to go to the pharmacy picking up her prescription.” Steve leaned over the counter and signed whatever form the nurse put in front of him.

“I’ll get Chin on that.” Danny’s phone buzzed. “Lou needs a job apparently.”

“He can meet us at mine, helping me get Romy situated and put some steaks on the bbq. After this day I need a steak and a beer.” Steve let his head drop.

“Beer? I am in.” The two men turned around. Romy was being pushed in a wheel chair by Lauren, she still had a spaced out look on her face.

“You are getting a Ginger Ale. The drugs the good doctor gave you, have you already high as a kite, no need to add alcohol to that.” Steve bent down at his waist and kissed her on the mouth.

“Spoilsport!” Romy pouted after he straightened up again.

“Hey Romy.” Danny kissed her cheek softly. “Don’t scare us like that ever again, alright?”

“I try.” Romy quirked the corner of her mouth.

“You better. I thought aneurism face was bad, but he got an upgrade to that one now.” Danny pinched Steve in the ribs.

“Let’s get out of here.” Steve groaned and took the handles of the wheel chair off of Lauren.

 

——xx——xx——

 

After the team left, and Lauren had been dropped off back at the hotel, Steve had Romy settled into bed. She was already half asleep after taking her pain meds. When the phone rang, Steve grabbed for it on the bedside table quickly to avoid waking her.

“McGarrett.”

“Hello, my wonderful nephew!” Aunt Deb’s chirpy voice greeted him.

“Aunt Deb? What are you calling me” he looked at his wrist watch “11pm at night. It’s like 2 am in Los Angeles.”

“Well, I couldn’t sleep and so I thought I give you a call to check in.”

“Ok?” Steve sounded sceptical, Aunt Deb never called just to check in.

“Anyway, I had this wonderful conversation with Mary today and I thought I could have a similar wonderful conversation with my nephew.”

Now Steve knew his Aunt was up to no good. “Deb, why are you really calling?”

He could hear an exaggerated sigh over the line “You never let me have any fun do you?”

“No,” Steve chuckled “never.”

“Why do I need to hear from your sister and from Danny Williams that Romy was in a car accident today?”

“You talked to Danny, too?”

“That’s not the point here, Steven! Why didn’t you call me? Why did I need to hear from other people that my friend...”

“I’m sorry when has Romy become your friend? You guys met once.” Steve interrupted his aunts tirade.

“Excuse you. Only because you are not invited to our What’s app group, doesn’t mean it does not exist.”

Steve could not believe what he was hearing, Romy was in a what’s app group with his aunt? “How do you even know what’s app?”

“Mary showed me.” Deb sniped back.

“Let me guess she is also part of the group.” Steve groaned.

“Of course she is!” She said, like it was the most obvious thing in the world. “Now back to the matter at hand, why did you not call me!”

“Oh for crying out loud!”

Aunt Deb sniggered at Steve’s frustration with her, his buttons were always so easily pushed. Especially when these buttons had anything to do with Romy. She thought back to her wedding. The look on his face when the two of them danced, he was such a goner. Deb could not remember ever seeing him like this with a woman before.

“Romy’s alright though?” Aunt Deb’s tone had changed from teasing to serious. Silence greeted her and had her thoughts took a spin. “Steve!”

“She has a broken rib, whiplash and a gash on her leg.” Before his aunt could respond, Steve continued. “She’s home with me, the hospital didn’t even admit her. The painkillers they gave her, have her on a constant high but it could...” he stocked, looking down were Romy was sleeping soundly against him “could have been so much worse.” The image of her leaning motionless against the steering wheel, is something that will haunt him for awhile.

“Can I ask you something.” She waited a beat before continuing. “Were you scared?”

“Yes.”

“Did you tell her?”

“No.”

“Why the heck not?”

“I can”t.”

“Don’t be an idiot, Steven.”

“Thanks, Aunt Deb.” Steve bit back sarcastically.

But his aunt wasn’t that easily derailed “And while you’re at it. Tell her why you were so scared.”

“I don’t. I can’t. There is nothing to tell!”

“If you say so, Stevie.”

“Yes, there is nothing to tell because she’s leaving in 4 months. What good would it do?”

“4 months, 4 schmonz. Who cares. Don’t you think she deserves to know?”

“Yeah, just to get told ‘Thanks for sharing, but I’m leaving anyway.’ No thanks.”

“Do you really think she would do that?”

“I...I don’t know.”

“Maybe she needs to hear from you that you feel the same way she does, in order to stay.”

“Really?” What was his aunt hinting at? That he should beg her to stay? That she would stay, if he asked?

“Talk to her, Stevie. The two of you seem to talk about everything. Why not about this?”

Now his aunt was getting too close to where it hurts.

“This conversation needs to end now.” Steve his tone loving, to soften the sting of his words.

“Fine.” If he didn’t know any better, Aunt Deb sounded like a 3 year old petulant child right now.

“Night Aunt Deb.”

“Good Night, Stevie.”

Steve watched Romy where she lay against him, still knocked out from the pain killers. He caressed the side of her face and burrowing his face in her hair. His conversation with his aunt was playing over and over in his mind. The issue Steve had, laid deeper than just telling her. What was he supposed to tell her in any case? That he never felt that content in his life? That she made going home from the office an actual alternative? That he doesn’t want her to leave?

What if she left anyway? What if she didn’t feel the same way? Everyone left, everyone that was supposed to stay left him regardless. Why would she, who had the choice, decide to stay with him. Hell, why should she?

Catherine didn’t.

Even his own mother choose someone else over him.

He knew, he shouldn’t compare Romy to these two women. The first time he had seen Catherine, he was blown away, she was hot. The way she handled herself on a mission had him turned on.

The first time he had seen Romy, he thought she was utterly beautiful and funny. She smiled at him, this wide 1000 watt smile, that had him smiling back every single time. Comparing the two of them would not get him anywhere.

The car, he never let anyone else drive, may it be his car or anyone else’s car for that matter. Romy drove it today, she actually drove him to work and then had an accident with his car. That reminded him. He should probably find out when it was fixed, he didn’t like only having Romy’s company car available. It will be difficult to manoeuvre her into the tiny vehicle with her limited movement. She’s been hurt enough.

He also clocked Danny’s face, when he announced that Romy had stuff already at his. Steve could only imagine what went through Danny’s mind at that point. If he was a betting man, he’d say the big toothbrush fiasco of 2012.

Steve felt more than saw Romy shift and he loosened his arms around her. She must have moved wrongly because he heard  a sharp intake of breath. When he lifted his head out of her curls, Steve saw her wincing. Letting her out of his embrace completely, to give her more space to move freely. He pushed himself up on his elbow looking down at her. He watched her eyelids flutter open “Hey, gorgeous.” He muttered quietly “You ok?”

Romy shifted closer to him, discomfort on her face.

“Do you need your meds?” Anything to get the pained expression off Romy’s face.

That had Romy open her eyes properly “What time is it?”

“11.30.” Steve checked his watch quickly and saw Romy’s face fall.

“Then no. The doc said to leave at least 4 hours between the doses. I still have one more to go.”

“If you’re hurting, then I’m sure the one hour won’t matter.” Steve started to trail his heads through her hair in what he hoped was a soothing manner.

“Distract me Steve.”

“Huh?” Steve had almost managed to lull himself to sleep by his repetitive movements.

“Distract me. Tell me a story.”

“What?” Was she still high. “You want me to tell you a bedtime story?”

Romy nodded. “I don’t think I know any.”

“You’ve got a niece, Steve.” She countered.

“Yeah, but those were books that Mary had with her.”

“Please, Steve.” Romy pouted, her bottom lip even started to quiver slightly. Sighing Steve laid down next to her, and Romy snuggled as closely as she dared without jostling her leg and rib. Steve kissed her deeply “Ok, a story. Let me think. How about the The Legend of the Ohia Tree?”

“Yes, please.” Romy’s lips moved against his arm she was snuggled against.

It took him a moment to find his footing telling the story, but after a couple of minutes his deep voice spun the tale of the two lovers.

He reached the point were Pele turned Ohi’a into a knotty tree out of malice, Lehua begging the gods to make her a tree as well, so they never be apart. “The gods however turned Lehua into a beautiful red flower, which they placed upon the twisted Ohi'a tree, so that she and her beloved husband would never more be apart.”

Looking down, he saw Romy fast asleep against him. No discomfort on her face for the moment, her red lashes throwing shadows on her cheeks. He actually could hear his brain click into place.After all the shit that happened in his life, after Catherine, he had become a knotty, emotionally stunted Ohi’a tree. Then what makes that Romy? She was bright and warm, she made him feel cared for.

Oh fuck!

Even he got it now, Danny would be so proud of him.

Romy was his Lehua flower and he loved her.

Chapter 11: Your very own cheerleader

Summary:

Emotional rollercoasters galore...the team in jeopardy...and Steve having an existential crisis

Notes:

Hello lovelies,

How are you all doing? Do you fancy another slice of Steve & Romy? This is an emotional one for Steve and those two have decided to push the rating of the story up a notch. This is my first time writing smut, so please let me know if it was semi decent, and if you’d like to see a repeat of it. 😉

Looking forward to hear all your feedback!

Enjoy xx

Warnings: Drama and Smut...I mean it...this is for over 18 year olds only 

Episode: Season 5 - 18 and 19

Chapter Text

 

Lauren returned to London 2 days after Romy’s accident, despite her bargaining to stay longer until Romy was fully back on her feet. But Romy stood strong, she had one Nurse Ratched already, she didn’t need a second one. Making sure that Lauren actually got into her plane, Steve and Romy dropped her off at the airport. This resulted according to Steve in ‘the most embarrassing moment of his life’. Two grown ass women crying and hugging in the departure area of Honolulu Airport. He was still grouching about it now, almost two weeks later.

“You made me hold your handbag, her handbag and your crutches, Romy. The only thing I was missing was the tissue you were clutching.” Steve turned to her as his car stopped at traffic lights.

“Oh come on, a big Navy Seal embarrassed by holding some handbags?”, she teased and poked him in the side. Rubbing the spot, Steve conceded, “I don’t mind holding your purse, but did you see Lauren’s? It was like a unicorn vomited all over it. I found sequences in my gun holster and car for days.” Romy laughed, she couldn’t take him seriously when he complained about sequences.

“Yeah, Yeah. Laugh all you want. Next time, you guys are holding your own damn bags.” At that, a chuckle from the back seat could be heard, and Steve threw Nahele a ‘I thought you are on my side’ look via the rear view mirror. The teenager was considering to try out for his schools football team next year and needed some pointers.

Steve was more than happy and a little bit proud that Nahele asked him. Romy still on working from home duty, as James had all but barred her from the office after her car accident, decided to tag along. A Thursday morning isn’t spend badly, if it involves her ogling Steve in workout clothes.

“Everything ok? Nothing hurts?”, Steve asked trying to assist Romy with sitting down. She narrowed her eyes at him, while lowering herself gingerly on the beach chair they brought. “Stop worrying.”, she patted his cheek and kissed him, “Now go and show off your skills.” Romy couldn’t help herself and swatted Steve’s bum when he turned. “Woman!”, he reprimanded over his shoulder. She even had the audacity to throw him a wink, making him groan “We are in public.” but Romy just shrugged and grinned.

“Sorry!” Nahele called out as the ball he threw landed somewhere not even close to Steve. “Don’t worry about it.” Steve picked up the football.

“Don’t worry about it come here.” He jogged over to Nahele. “See the laces?” The two bend over the ball, Nahele watching Steve’s grip on it. “The laces, are there for a reason, right? Use them.” He handed the football over to Nahele. “Show me. Find the grooves. Find the grooves.” Steve adjusted the teenagers grip slightly. “Keep this loose.” He looked up, to see Romy had abandoned her paperwork and watched them with an unreadable expression, when he caught her eyes the two shared a soft smile.

“Okay. All right?” He focused back on Nahele, who nodded in response. The two jogged back to their original positions and Steve called “Tight.” Over to Nahele, motioning with his elbow to keep it tight to the body when throwing. “Let it roll through.” Nahele throw the football and it sailed over in an arch into Steve’s arms. “That’s right. Did you feel that?”

“Yeah.” The smile on Nahele’s face was almost blinding.

“Now, do you feel the difference?” Steve lobbed the ball back to him, when his phone started to ring.

“Joe.”

That had Romy’s attention, Steve caught the ball again from Nahele, when she heard  “He’s at Grace’s school for career day. Why?” Steve indicated to Nahele to wait a second.

“Why what’s going on?” Nahele jogged over to Steve and Romy had struggled out of the beach chair. “We got to go.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

Back at the house they had the quickest shower of their life’s, well Romy’s life, Steve was acquainted to Navy Showers for way too long to notice. Steve’s phone rang again, holding the phone between his ear and shoulder trying to button up his shirt and concentrating what Joe said proved difficult. Romy noticed his hands faltering on his buttons, stepped into Steve’s space and started to button up his shirt for him. Letting the information sink in, his chin rest against Romy’s forehead, his free hand running through his hair. Danny had been arrested for the murder of Marco Reyes.

They were about to step out of the house again, and Steve about to call Chin when he realised that Romy was right next to him. “Where do you think you are going?”

“Ahem, with you.” What was that even for a question?

“I don’t think so.”, Steve blocked her way.

“Please don’t turn all caveman on me now, Steve.”

“Apart from this being a bad idea, you still have a broken rib and the last time I checked, you weren’t in law enforcement.”

“I’m not trying to do your job, Steve. And thanks by the way for making me sound incredibly useless.”, Romy pushed her way past Steve, at the expense of a sharp pain in her side.

“I...I didn’t mean.”

“Yes, you did and you’re right. Danny is my friend, I care about him. So please let me go with you.”, she was standing on the passenger side of his car.

“Ok, but you stay out of sight. This involves Marco Reyes. I’m not kidding around Romy.”

“I’ll do whatever you say.”

‘Yeah right.’ Steve thought, his phone buzzed with more details when he got into the car. “Can you read this?”, he handed Romy his phone. “‘Held at the federal detention centre, meet you there.’ It’s from Joe White.”

“Dial Chin for me, please?” Romy nodded and connected the phone to the car before dialling Chin’s number.

——xx——xx——

Stepping out of the detention centre, he leaned into the car to Romy “I need you  to drive to the Palace.” His voice sounded different, this was Lt Commander McGarrett, not her Steve.

“How are you going to...”

“You promised me, Romy.”, he interrupted. “Whatever I say.”, he reminded her of her words.

Romy nodded and got out of the car to switch over to the drivers side. Steve leaned through the open window, checking that her seatbelt wasn’t pushing on her ribs, when a car with squealing tires came up next to him. His hand went to his weapon instantly, but relaxed when he recognises Joe.

“Joe, what’s going on?”

“Not here. Get in.”

Steve turned around and saw Romy still standing there “The palace, Romy. Now.” She nodded and drove off with equally squealing tires and Steve jumped into Joe’s jeep.

“So, that’s the girl, he?”

“Really, Joe? Do you think this is good timing to question me about my girlfriend.”

“Can’t go anywhere now, can you?” Joe grinned.

“Yeah, that was Romy.”

“She’s pretty.” Steve snorted, before he got serious “She’s amazing.”

——xx——xx——

Romy watched Joe presenting Steve the files on how Marco Reyes became an asset to the CIA. When it came to the day the man died, she interrupted “I’m sorry, but if they knew that Danny was there, wouldn’t they know that Steve was there too?” Romy looked from one man to another. Steve shrugged at Joe’s glance, Romy had a point.

“Steve’s a highly decorated Navy Seal. A hero. I guess he got a free pass.”

The silence after this was deafening and only interrupted by Kono. Apparently Coughlin had not only arrested Chin but also booked him, indicating he somehow had come across evidence that implicated Chin.

——xx——xx——

The whole day it felt like they were constantly three steps behind everyone else. Danny was on a plane to Colombia, the arrest had only been at the front for Reyes murder but actually was a compensation, with his death 1.3 billion worth of cocaine went missing. Everyone wanted it back. Steve made a deal with CIA to find the missing drugs in 48 hours, despite having no idea where it was. Returning to the palace, another Landmine dropped in their laps, Coughlin was happily raiding their offices with a fucking warrant. When would he get a second to breath, he wanted to punch something, preferably Coughlin or Alexander.

They weren’t any closer to finding the missing cocaine after working through the night. Romy had gone out to grab some coffee, she tried to get Steve to come with her, fresh air would do him some good, but the suggestion alone was met with stony silence. The situation made Steve feel so out of control, he couldn’t sit still anymore. Putting Chin’s situation on the back burner hurt Steve more than he can ever put into words, but Danny in a Colombian prison took precedence, even if it made his insides churn to pick one friend over another. The glass door of his office slammed, as he stormed into it and started to pace.

“Let me.”, Romy stopped Joe with her hand on his arm.

“Steve?” Romy stood at the corner of his office, watching him ransack his desk. Heaving he leaned down on his desk, “It was never about Reyes, it was just about the coke. About the motherfucking coke.”

Romy came a bit closer and squeezed his balled fist, before she could say anything he continued. “And Chin, those assholes are seizing all his possessions. Danny is already in Colombia by now and I... he signed the extradition without a lawyer. He did it to fucking protect me. What the heck was he thinking?” He punched the desk with the fist Romy held in her hand. She winced, the sudden movement made her rib smarten.

“Oh shit, Romy. I’m so sorry.”, he let go of her hand and jump a step back, looking at his hand like it didn’t belong to him, how could it if it managed to hurt Romy.

“Hey.” Romy interlaced her fingers with his and hopped on the desk. “I’m ok.” She tugged at their intertwined hands making him move to stand between her legs. “I get that you’re frustrated, even a bit mad at Danny.”

“Why, why would he do that?”

Romy held his eyes with her own, hoping he would hear her, “You love each other, you are brothers. He wasn’t able to protect Matthew, he sure as hell wants to protect you. He did what you’d have done in the same situation.”

“I should have...”

“What? Gone with him? Get arrested with him or Chin?” Steve shrugged at that. “The two kept you out of this for a reason, so you have a chance to help them. Danny knows that, Chin knows that. They trust you to figure this out. So it wasn’t what you originally thought. I mean it’s the CIA,” Romy shrugged, “when do they ever play with open cards.”

“You had much dealings with them?”, Steve teased her, feeling so much better already.

“I watch TV”, Romy grinned back, before turning serious again, “You are not alone. Look outside. They trust you, they are with you.”

“And you?”

“What about me?”

“Do you trust me?”

She could feel the vulnerability vibrate off of him. Her right hand grasping his face, slowly stroking his jaw. “With my life, Commander. I got into your car, didn’t I.” Letting out a small chuckle, Steve rested his forehead against Romy’s.

“Thank you.”

“Now get our boys back.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

Of course, Steve brought the boys back. The Saturday waiting for them to come back from Columbia was one of the longest days Romy could remember and over the whole ordeal she kept thinking that she had forgotten something. The niggling thought did not leave her, even after Steve had returned from dropping Danny to see Grace and fallen into bed straight after. He was yet to surface. Left to her own devices, she pottered around the house. Her eyes were drawn to the calendar and suddenly she realised.

“Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.” Romy muttered to herself, with all the craziness happening over the last two days, they managed to forget Steve’s birthday. Steve wasn’t big on birthdays, but hell, she was. Birthdays were the best and in her family each of their birthdays still got celebrated with cake and a party. She couldn’t believe she forgot, he didn’t even get as much as a ‘Happy Birthday’ from her yesterday.

Romy couldn’t imagine that any of their friends or Steve for that matter were in the mood for a big party after the last couple of days, but she couldnt’ leave his birthday unrecognised.

——xx——xx——

The sight would be comical if it didn’t involve a gun. Romy stood in the doorway of Steve’s bedroom, red velvet cupcake with a candle in hand and Steve siting upright in his bed holding her at gun point. “Steve?” Romy’s voice shook slightly at the sight of his gun, but nevertheless she moved further into the room. For a second the two stared at each other, Steve was breathing hard.

“Steve.”, Romy tried again and looked down at the weapon still pointed at her. The second time calling his name, pulled him out of his stupor and he followed the direction of her gaze, looking at the gun before it clicked with him.

“Fuck. I must have...”

“It’s ok.”, Romy smiled at him as he disarmed the weapon and slid it into his nightstand. She could only imagine the dreams he had during his nap, the last couple of days gave a whole new material for his nightmares, like he didn’t have enough already. Perching on the bed, she leaned over and kissed his temple. “I’m sorry, I startled you.” Steve leaned back and took a deep breath. His nightmares haven’t been that intense in almost a year, it took a second to shake it.

“What’s this?”, he nodded to cupcake in her lap. “Oh yeah.”, she smiled before dropping her gaze to the cake as well. “Happy belated Birthday, Schnuffi.”, she looked up at and met his eyes. Steve was speechless.

His birthday.

How could he have forgotten his own birthday and she remembered? Smiling he relieved her from the plate and pulled her in for a deep kiss. His hand buried in her red locks and held her to him, even after they broke the kiss. “Thank you. I can’t believe you didn’t forget.”

Romy, with her hands splayed on his legs to keep her from tumbling straight into his chest, giggled “Well, I kinda did.”

Steve pulled her into his lap, his hand moved from her hair to her waist holding her to him. “You made me my favourite cupcakes, so I forgive you.”

“Thank you.” Romy cuddled in, her head fitting perfectly in space between his shoulder and chin. Steve leaned back, inspecting the cupcake closer.

“This looks absolutely delicious.”

“You know you are allowed to eat it. I’ve made more than one.”

“Am I now?”, he bopped her nose with the cupcake, smearing cream cheese frosting all over it. Romy scrunched her face as she wiped the frosting of her nose “Danny would say you are an animal.”

“Let’s not bring up Danny while we are in bed together.” He took her finger with the icing in his mouth sucking it clean.

“Agreed.”, Romy moaned as both of them sunk down into the bed. Their kiss turned hot and heavy when Steve’s tongue made contact with hers. With the last of her clear thought Romy pulled the cupcake out of Steves hand and deposited on the nightstand.

He kissed down her jaw, his nose tracing her ear while his lips made their way down her neck, finding just the right spot that never failed to make her...”Steve.”, Romy moaned. She could feel him grin into her skin, as her hips bucked up into his. He had her caged below him, his weight pressing her into the mattress. He surrounded her, his smell, his body, his lip now trailing further down. After almost a year he knew how to play her body. The light touch off his fingers, down her rib cage and back up to lifting Romy’s T-shirt had her shivering. Sitting up slightly to get rid of the shirt, his hands made their way back down her sides, brushing her panties and then down her legs.

His touch made her sigh and her hips started to move. Steve loved how responsive she was from just the tiniest touch of his fingers at the right spot. “Please Steve.” Romy’s head thrown back as she pleaded with him. Kneeling between her legs, his fingers drawing patterns on her inner tights.

“What gorgeous? Tell me what you want?” His fingers inched closer and closer to her heat, drawing out more beautiful sounds from her.

“Touch me, please.” “Since you said, please.” His fingers slid up, teasing her covered slit. He circled her clit through her panties, her face flushed at the intimate contact and her back arched slightly, her core grinding down on his finger trying to find friction. She was beautiful, her hair spread out behind her like a fiery halo, the half hooded eyes watching him watch her. Steve kneeled up, pulling her further towards him, her bum resting on his legs and her hot core made contact with his dick. He could feel how wet she was through the layers of cotton.

“Romy. Fuck you’re so wet for me.” He leaned forward enveloping her left nipple in his mouth. “Only for you.”, she moaned as his teeth grazed her nipple softly. His hand plucking the other one, he could feel it harden beneath his fingers, before he switched his mouth over. Romy crossed her legs behind his back, grinding on his cock, making him even harder. He let out a moan around breast, when he felt her hands fisting his hair, pulling his face up to hers, kissing him deeply, her tongue tracing his before sucking on his lower lip.

“You make me feel so good, Steve.” Her pupils blown wide with arousal. “Fuck me, please.”

Oh he loved it, when she let dirty talk come out.

He could feel her feet starting to push his boxers down his ass. “I’ve got you, baby.”, he murmured while ridding both of them of their underwear. He groaned as he sunk into her, her heat gripping him deliciously. “You feel amazing.” Steve rocked forth and back, savouring how her tight heat stretched around him, before bottoming out. Making Romy buck up to him.

“You ok?”

“More than ok.”, she gasped. Steve could feel her hands everywhere, on his shoulders, his sides, squeezing his ass for a second before moving back up, drawing him closer to her.

“You want more?” He panted in her ear.

He could feel her nod into his neck. “Use your words, Romy.” His hand sneaked to her breasts and tweaked her nipple. “More Steve, please. Harder. Fuck me harder.” She closed her lips around his earlobe and sucked. He groaned and his hips faltered for a moment.

“You want to come, Romy?”, his voice gone low with arousal. “Yes, please make me cum.” He hiked her leg higher on his waist, driving in deeper than before. Romy fell back onto the mattress as she moaned at the new depth, thrusting up into him, “Oh god Steve. You’re so deep. Feels great. I’m close.” Her hands moving more and more urgently, her nails scraping down his chest.

Steve slid his hand between their bodies down to her clit. “Come for me, Romy.” His fingers mimicking the rhythm of his hips, stroking his finger up and down just the way she liked it. “Fuck. Just like that.” her mouth found his in a kiss, that was all teeth and tongue.

“You making me cum. Can you feel it? Fuck. Steve!” Her words became a slur as she clenched and rippled around him. “Romy! God.” There was no way he could hold back, the way she felt, trembling in his arms, around his cock. He pulled her flush against him, his orgasm rushing through him. He could feel her clenching around him again, milking him as he came. Completely spent they fell back onto the bed together.

“Cupcakes and great sex. What more can someone want for their birthday.” Steve murmured into her shoulder, holding her close as their breath returned to normal.

 

——xx——xx——

 

It was supposed to be a normal day. A day at the barbers, and then the office. No cases, no IA, no rogue CIA agents, none of his team arrested or extradited, no backhanded help from his wayward mother. Apparently he didn’t deserve a normal day, it was just the perfect ending to a pretty fucked up week.

He unlocked his front door, the alarm was disabled, he took a breath. Romy must be home.

He found her sitting outside, curled up in one corner of the rattan sofa they usually shared. She hadn’t put the main light on tonight, chosen to light the lanterns standing on the edge of the lanai instead. Her tablet perched on the edge of the coffee table and the sound of the tv show she was watching blended with the waves crushing into a soft background noise. She hadn’t noticed him yet, he didn’t know if he wanted her to. He was sure the tear tracks were still visible on his face. Steve was content to just watch her for a moment, let the sight of her soothe him.

A choked groan behind her made Romy turn around. “You’re home late.”, she greeted him with a smile. It dropped from her face, as Steve stepped further onto the lanai into the glow of the candles.

“Steve?”

He didn’t react, he just stood there, couldn’t infiltrate her cozy nest. He was dirty, sweaty and he was sure blood clung to him, to his soul. Romy tapped the screen of her tablet, pausing the show. ‘Is everything ok?’ The question burned on her tongue, begging to be asked. He looked like he’s been through the ringer today. She opened her arms, it was a gamble - she knew that sometimes he couldn’t do comfort after a painful day, but he desperately needed a hug.

Steve took two faltering steps into her direction before collapsing into her arms. He sacked against her, only then Romy realised that he was shaking. Steve sunk further down until his head hit her lap. Looking down at him, Romy tried to catch his eye, his eyes tend to tell everything, but not tonight. Steve buried his face into the soft flesh of her tummy.

“It’s ok, listen to the waves.” Her fingers combing through his hair. “Pause from thinking for just a moment.” Her fingers traced around his ear, moving down from his hairline to the back of his neck. Trailing back up again Romy applied a bit of pressure while trailing her fingers over his forehead and temple. Steve made a sound, that she felt more against her tummy than heard it. “This feels nice.”, he nuzzled further into her. “I’m here. Just breathe.”

The waves and her ministrations lulled Steve in an almost comatose state. He didn’t know how long she continued stroking his hair, but she didn’t stop when he turned around, his face now looking up at her.

“It’s been a fucking shit of a day.”

Pressing her lips together Romy could only nod and bend down to peck his forehead, nose, before pressing a soft kiss to his mouth. “You wanna tell me about it?”

Steve looked up at her, contemplating how to start. Taking his silence for a no to her question, Romy said, “You don’t have to.”

He started slowly, but then it tumbled all out of him. The kid coming to the barbershop after getting shot, the Armenian mob taking the shop under siege, getting the kid out and then finding out he tricked him and Odell. That Eran was responsible for the missing kids.

”How can it be, that I had no idea? How can a row of missing kids not have made it on my radar? How did we...how did I miss it?” Steve shook his head in her lap. “How can they ask me to keep the island safe, if I couldn’t even realise that a teenager was telling me lies. I helped a serial killer.”

Romy’s heart broke for Steve.

“I let them down, the kids, their parents. I let everyone down. How couldn’t I know that this was going on? That he was responsible for it? I protected him. I should have just let them shoot him. How did I miss this.” Romy didn’t know what to say, there was nothing she could say. Nothing would make this better, so she didn’t.

——xx——xx——

In bed he held her close, not even a hand would have fit between the two of them. Laying on their sides limited their movements but Steve rhythm wound her tight. Romy mewled as one of his hands other made its way down to her sex stroking her clit, the other massaging her breast. She turned her head brought him closer with her hand in his hair, a sloppy kiss right before she came. Feeling Romy clench and flutter around him, triggered his release. Steve buried his face into her neck, kissing the spot in her neck, making her clench once more around his softening cock. He held her to him in the aftermath, peppering kisses on her shoulders and neck and just like that he fell asleep, still buried deep within Romy holding her like his life depended on it.

Romy woke up sometime during the night, Steve had slipped out of her and she was all sticky between her legs. Getting out of bed took a moment, trying to escape the koala hold he had on her. Romy watched him for a moment as pulled on a pair of panties and a shirt after showering quickly. She needed to do something, something to remind him that he was not letting anyone down.Steve didn’t know what woke him up, it could be the soft banging he heard or that his arms were empty and Romy’s side of the bed cold. He made his way downstairs following the noise, he followed it all the way into his office.

“Hey.”

Romy whirled around, hammer still in her hand. “Sorry did I wake you?”

Steve shrugged, “What are you doing?” he stepped closer taking the tool from her hand. Steve leaned against the desk and pulls Romy between his legs. Her arms automatically wind themselves around his neck. She leaned back a bit to hold his gaze.

“What you said earlier, didn’t leave me alone.”

“I said a lot of things.”, Steve countered, remembering his outburst from the night before.

“You didn’t let them down.”

“Romy, I..”

“No, listen to me. You didn’t know about the missing children, because the parents didn’t report it. This is not your fault.”

He looked like he wanted to interrupt her again. Romy put her fingers on his lips, shushing him effectively. “You have done so many amazing things, helped so many people, not only you but all the McGarrett men.” She unwind her arms and pulled Steve closer to the wall. “Sorry, I went through your stuff, but you need to see these on your wall not hidden away in boxes.”

Steve looked closer and he realised that Romy had hung up pictures from his grandparents and parents. Navy accolades from all three McGarrett men, pictures of his O’hana and then he saw them ‘Thank you’ letters from families he helped, he could make out a picture of Ethan Awana, a letter from Julie Masters, the wedding photo from Dhalia Swaine, and the one that meant the most, a picture of him and David Toriyama. He needed to sit down, luckily the desk chair was right behind him and he sat down with a thud, pulling Romy with him.

Framing his face with her hands, she said “You” Kiss “haven’t” Kiss “let down” Kiss “a person” Kiss “in your life.” Kiss.

Steve deepened the kiss, his tongue stroking hers, burying his hands in her hair.  “Thank you.”, he whispered once they came up for air. Romy shook her head, no thanks needed, she just needed him to know. Steve studied the pictures she had found.

“This is the second pep talk you’ve given me this week.”, he remarked after a while.

“I think I’m getting pretty good at them.” Romy leaned back into his chest, bringing his arms around her.

“Yeah, you are.” Steve rested his chin against her temple, relishing in their embrace, it was driving the dark thoughts away better than anything else could.

“Whenever you need one, just let me know.”

“My very own personal cheerleader.”

“Don’t know if I could pull off the outfit,” Romy giggled, “but I could put on my Dirndl the next time. It’s almost as revealing.”

“Now you are talking.”

The two sat in comfortable silence for a moment, before Steve remembered something. “Oh by the way I promised you would get Odell another Bavarian Beer Stein, his got shot.”

 

 

Chapter 12: Fuck, I really liked that bag

Summary:

When your friend is being murdered by her husband, the only thing that helps is day time drinking with Kono and Romy. Steve breaks someones arm for touching something off limits and Danny is mad at Romy.

Notes:

Hello lovelies,
How are you all doing? Here is another piece of Romy & Steve? After last chapters success, these two couldn’t keep their hands of each other in this chapter as well😉 There might be some details that can be triggering for anyone who has experienced people putting their hands where they don’t belong, please be aware of that towards the end of the chapter.
Please feel free to shout, use morse code or send me a message with your feedback. I always love to hear from you!
Enjoy xx

Warnings: Someone putting their hands where they don’t belong, Drama and Smut...I mean it...this is for over 18 year olds only  
Episode: Season 5 - 20 & 21

Chapter Text

“This is a good idea, right?” Romy shot Kono a nervous look. “Why are you asking me? This was your idea.” Kono had parked her car in front of the Grover’s house. 
“I know.” Romy fretted her fingers on the passenger seat. “Come on Erhardt,” Kono was already out of the car, “no time like the present to find out.” “Yeah.” the redhead sighed and got out of the car herself. 

“What are you doing here?” Renee greeted them after a moment of shock. She did not expect her two friends today, if she knew she’d have made some sort of effort. Renee could only imagine how she looked with her red rimmed eyes and lack of sleep. 
“We’ve brought German comfort food.” Kono pointed to the basket with several containers in Romy’s arms, “And comfort beverages.” She held up a bottle of whiskey. 
Renee stared at them for a second. “God bless you both.” She opened the door wider and let them in. 

Sitting at the kitchen island Kono and Renee watched Romy rolling out a dough before cutting it into smaller squares “So what is this German comfort food you’re making?” 
Romy giggled “It’s a dish from my Grandma’s village. Literally potato dough that gets pan fried and then doused in browned butter and sugar.” 
“That sounds...” Renee didn’t know what to say, her eyes did all the talking for her, she hadn’t been able to eat since that fateful last dinner with Dianne and Clay. Romy reached across the island and squeezed Renee’s hand, “It’s the only thing, that ignited my appetite after…” she let the sentence trail off, the ladies knew what she was referring to and today was about Renee. 
“I can imagine, this smells amazing.” Kono revelled in the aroma of melted butter and sugar. 
“Pour, please.” Renee held up her coffee cup  to Romy for a refill then putting it in front of Kono to top it off with whiskey. Leaning forward she grasped both women hands, “Thank you.” 
The three women settled down in the living room. Renee had been sharing stories from Chicago, the food was eaten but the Irish Coffee flowed freely between them.

“Wow this smells amazing! What’s your mom cooking?” 
“I’ve got no clue.” 
Will and Grace made their way into the living room. “Mom? You home?” 
The two teenagers made their way into the living room and Renee turned around “Hi kids!” She tried to stand up but Romy stopped her “I’ll go.” 
Romy followed them into the kitchen and started to heat up the leftovers. The Irish Coffee starting to get to her head and she held onto the island to steady her step. 
“We’ve brought Milk and Cookies to cheer Mrs Grover up.” Grace put a scrunched up paper bag onto the kitchen island. 
“That’s sweet of you.” Romy smiled at her while pouring lemonade for the two. 
“Can I ask you a question, Ms Erhardt?” 
“Sure, Will. You can call me Romy, you know.” 
“Yeah, and my dad will have my hide.” 
“You’ve got my permission.”, Romy winked.
”Ahem, ok.”, Will stumbled over his words, “what did you do with my mother?” 
Chuckling Romy said, “Well, we had grown up Milk and cookies.” 
“Aah.” Will grinned.
“You staying here, Grace? Or do you want to ride back with me and Kono?” 
“Should you be driving, Aunt Romy?” 
“Smartass.” Romy snipped her fingers against Grace’s back of the head, “I messaged Steve to pick us up.” 
Romy settled Renee on the sofa with a blanket and a large glass of water, she had pinned a $20 note on the fridge for dinner, as Steve rang the doorbell. 
“Hi Junior. I’m here to pick up the ladies.” 
“Right this way, Commander.” Will lead him towards the back where Romy was cajoling Kono towards the door. Leaning against the door jamb, he watched her for a second. “You need some help there?” 
“I appreciate it.” She looked up at him and gave him a wobbly smile. Together they walked out of the house, Kono between them. 

“You brought Danny.” Romy hissed  as she saw Danny leaning against Steve’s car. 
“We were reviewing some case files when you messaged. Couldn’t really leave him there.” 
“Great. He’s going to be mad.” Romy groaned, before putting on a fake smile. “Hi Danny, nice of you to come along.” 
Danny fixed her with a stare “Let’s just get in the car.” He didn’t even give Steve time to pull properly out of the drive way, before he started ranting on how irresponsible they were, drinking during the day, unable to get home. “You are drunk in front of my kid.” Danny was raging from the backseat. “In my defence so were Renee and Kono.” Romy turned around and glared at him. 
“Hey! Rude.” Kono groaned out, her head bopped against the window. 
“The kids were there, what for an example do you think is that for my daughter?” 
“Danny.” Steve’s voice held a warning. 
“No, I really want to know what you guys thought, when you decided it was a great idea to get drunk in the middle of the day in front of the kids.” 
“First of all, we went to comfort a friend who is going through a horrible time. Second, the only people drunk were of legal age. Third, how dare you to insinuate that we are a bad influence.” With a huff she turned around again, crossing her arms in defiance. 
“Did you only drink or actually had some food?” Steve’s hand letting go of the steering wheel to intertwine it with hers, giving it a squeeze. 
“It was the most amazing food, Uncle Steve. Junior and I got the leftovers.” Grave enthused from back, “Fried potato cakes with butter and sugar.” 
“Oh I could do with another one of those.” Kono mumbled. 
“I’ll make them again.” 
“So you went to cheer up Renee and ended up drunk.” Steve summarised. 
“I’m tipsy...Kono is drunk. Her Irish coffee was 95% Irish and only 5% coffee.” 
“And you thought a Wednesday afternoon was the best idea?” Danny was still fuming so he dug his knees in the back of Romy’s seat. 
“Stop that. Are you five or something?” Romy swatted blindly behind her trying to get his knees out of her back. 
“After you left Renee inebriated, what are the kids going to do?” 
“Come on Danny. They are 17 and 14 not 5. They know how to use the telephone and order a pizza.” 
“Oh god...” Kono moaned as Steve took a bend quite sharply. 
“Aunt Kono?!” Graces eyes blew wide...Kono looked quite green. 
“Pull over Steve!” Danny screeched “she’s gonna puke in the car!” 
“Where do you want me to pullover?” Steve gestured around him, on the right the sea and on the left the cliffs. 
“I don’t care, somewhere before she barfs on me and Grace.”  Romy could see that Kono weren’t able to hold onto much longer. She looked down between her feet and closed her eyes in despair. Emptying her handbag onto the floor, she unbuckled her seatbelt. 
“Romy, what are you...” Steve held her by the waist of her trouser so she didn’t loose her balance. She just managed to thrust the bag under Kono’s face right on time for her friend to empty her stomach in it. 
“Eww.” Grace pulled a face as she watched Kono puke into the handbag. “I’ll never drink, ever. I promise, Danno.” She cuddled into her dad, trying to get distance between her and Kono. Steve pulled over and helped Kono out of the car, with Romy following behind. She held her friends hair back and rubbed her shoulders as Kono released herself from the last bit of alcohol. 
“Thanks.” Kono mumbled as she straightened back up. Romy handed her some tissues and chewing gum. 
“Sorry, I haven’t gotten any water.” 
“It’s ok.” Steve and Romy watched as Kono stumbled back to the car, he pulled her close, his arm settling across her shoulders. 
“I think your bag is toast.” He nodded towards her purse lying on the side of the road. 
“Fuck. I really liked that bag.” Romy pouted. 
“You are a good friend.” Steve kissed her temple before guiding her back to his car. 

——xx——xx——

They dropped everyone off at their respective places and making a pit stop a small burger joint, before heading to Steve’s. Sitting on the kitchen counter Romy devoured her burger with Steve standing between her legs sipping on his beer. 
“Danny is mad, isn’t he?” Romy flinched as she thought back to Danny’s face, as they stumbled out of the Grover’s house. 
“He’ll have calmed down by tomorrow. And honestly Kono’s little incident might have helped more in keeping Grace away from alcohol than any of his lectures.” 
“God, I  hope so. I hate when he’s mad at me.” 
“I’ll talk to him.” Steve swiped a bit of ketchup from Romy’s nose. 
“We didn’t know that Grace would be there.” 
“Hey, its ok. You didn’t know and nothing bad happened. He wont be mad. And if he is, then I’ll remind him that the way he spoke to you today was completely unacceptable.” 
Romy smiled at that and pulled Steve into a hug, her head nestling on his shoulder. “My seal to protect and serve.” Her lips caressing his neck. 
“You bet your cute butt.” Steve squeezed her closer to him. “Romy, why was Kono drinking so much today?” Steve lifted her off the counter and started to make his way upstairs. 
“It’s complicated.” 
“You can’t tell me?” Steve sat her down in bathroom, handing Romy her toothbrush. 
“It’s more like, she doesn’t really know it herself.” She said around the brush. 
Steve looked at her. “Hey, feelings don’t need to make sense all the time.” Romy shrugged at his doubting face. 
“That’s all?”
 “I think wedding planning is getting to her.” 
“You’d tell me...” 
“Of course.” Romy pressed a kiss on his cheek when leaving the bathroom. 

Steve watched her in the mirror, as she took off her shirt and then her bra. Their eyes met in the mirror as her bra only dangled on Romy’s finger “You gonna join me, McGarrett?” A low growl escaped Steve’s throat and stalked towards her. Romy had lost her trousers in the meantime and scooted back on the bed. She leaned back on her elbows watching how Steve reached behind his neck and pulled off his shirt in one swift motion. 
“Do you have any idea how sexy it is when you do that?” 
“What take my shirt off?” Steve popped the buttons of his jeans. 
“Hell, yeah. The reaching behind, pulling it off in one go. So hot!” Romy’s left hand started to massage her breast, tugging her nipple softly.  Steve joined her on the bed, kneeling between her legs, watching her tease herself, how her hips started to move slightly and how her lace high waisted knickers became wet in her crotch. He leaned over her, the tip of his dick leaking precum at the sight of her wantonly spread beneath him. 
“Are you sure this ok? You had a lot to drink today.” He whispered, while trailing kisses down her neck. 
“Yes, of course.” 
“You tell me if you want to stop.” His hands held her waist, not straying up or down. 
“I promise. Please Steve, I need you.” Romy grabbed his hand pushed it down towards her pussy. 
“Ok.” He leaned back for a second. 
“Hands under your butt.” Steve lifted an eyebrow at her, as Romy quickly complied. “You really need me, don’t you?”, he asked with a smirk. Romy bit her lip and nodded quickly. A gasp escaping her as Steve peeled down her underwear and his lips following the path his fingers made. He hooked her right leg over his shoulder, the way she was spread open. Her slit glistening with her arousal, he pulled her further apart with his fingers. Softly tracing her inner lips, he dipped one finger into her opening, eliciting a moan from Romy. 
“You’re so wet, gorgeous.” 
“Ever since you lifted me off the kitchen counter.” her voice tense with arousal. 
“Really?” She nodded. “So I could have done this,” he inserted two fingers, pumping carefully, “downstairs?” 
“Yes!” Romy’s hips started to follow the rhythm his fingers set. A disappointed moan, when Steve removed his fingers and popped them in his mouth. “You taste so good, gorgeous.” 
Romy watched him licking his fingers clean of her juices “You have no idea how much you turn me on.” 
Steve smirked at her, as he hiked her higher and then bent down, licking her from her opening to her clit. Circling around the sensitive little bud, suckling on her inner lips before moving his attention back to her clit. He was teasing her and enjoying it. Romy’s hands were still behind her bum, like he instructed, she couldn’t help herself. She needed him closer to her, she moved her hands and gripped his hair holding him to her sex. 
“Steve. Oh god. Right there.” 
Her fingernails digging into his scalp, spurring him on even more. He let his teeth graze her clit and he could feel the moment something snapped inside of her. Romy held his head firm, grinding against his mouth, riding her orgasm out. Her bones felt weak, when Steve let her leg down from his shoulder and she slowly released his hair out of her grip. She pulled him towards her, kissing him deeply, Romy could taste herself on his tongue, their scents intermingled was intoxicating. They continued to kiss, kisses that could go on forever if you’d let them. Steve could feel his erection straining, as Romy rubbed her herself against him. 
“How do you want this?” he moaned, she was distracting him with kisses against his neck, he shivered has her tongue dipped in just the right spot. Their eyes met and Romy rolled around before pushing herself up on her hands and knees. The wink she threw over her shoulder, made Steve groan. “Fuck me, Steve.” 
He thrust into her, his hands holding her hips steady, as Steve drew back out and slammed back into her. Her head falling forward, Romy collapsed on her elbows by his force. 
“Just like this, Steve.” He set a punishing pace, that had her holding onto the head board in front of her with one hand. “I love it when you’re rough.” She hissed as he hit a sensitive spot inside her. 
“You like that?” Steve bend over her, grazing his teeth along her neck. She was sure she was going to have a mark tomorrow. “You like it when I slam into you over and over again. When I make you moan and beg.” 
“Yes, please. Oh God, please fuck me.” Romy pushed back into him. Steve’s hand made its way down from her breast to her clit, the extra stimulation pushed Romy right over the edge. She came, moaning his name, clenching around his still slamming dick. Feeling her pulse around him, made his strokes erratic, his hands digging into her hips.
 “Romy!” Steve let out as he came, the way she pressed back into him, milking him, his forehead resting between her shoulder blades. The room was utterly still for a moment, only their panting could be heard. “That was amazing.” Steve murmured into her skin. Romy shivered, his voice made her all tingly, her inner muscled clenched getting her a shudder from Steve in return.
 She let herself collapse onto the bed, taking Steve with her. “Oof.” air hissed out of Steve with the sudden impact. He rolled over, taking Romy with him, he grabbled on the nightstand for some tissues. Carefully Steve reached down between Romy’s legs and cleaned her up. Their bodies were sticky but he didn’t have any strength left to make it to the shower, they just do it in the morning. So he held her close and watched her as her eyes started to droop. “Sweet dreams, Gorgeous.” 
“Good night, Schnuffi.” Romy burrowed further into him, her head resting on his chest. 

——xx——xx——

“Steve!” He looked up and saw Romy standing towards his right, behind her cowered an elder man. Steve knew he was in trouble, that tone told him everything. 
“What are you doing here, Romy?” Steve tried to head off the argument. 
“What am I doing here? What are you doing having a shoot out in a full hotel?” Romy screeched.  
“Are you hurt?” Steve pushed his rifle back, so he had both hands free to engulf her in a hug. 
“I’m fine.” Romy shook her head at this antics. “Hey guys!” she waved at the rest of the team standing around them. 
“It was the dead Elvis.” Steve said as an explanation. 
“The dead Elvis, made you have a shoot out?”, Romy crossed her arms. 
“It started with him and then developed into another diamond heist.” 
“The diamonds from a couple of months ago?” 
“Yep.”
“I thought that guy got killed?” 
“Yeah but Barry Burns decided to be an idiot and stole them, that then got  Ivanovitch’s brother involved and here we are.” Steve made a sweeping gesture encompassing all the mess around them. 
“Jeez.” 
“You got that one right.” 
“But you got the diamonds now?” 
“All accounted for.” 
“Are you hurt?” she hooked her fingers into his vest and pulled herself closer. 
“I’m fine.” he slung an arm around her waist “The team is fine.” 
“Ok.” she stood on her toes to kiss him. “I’ll need to find another place for my meeting now, but I’ll see you tomorrow?” 

“Come grab a drink with us when you are done, Romy.” Danny injected from the side. “Would love to but I think after this little incident, I need to wine and dine Mr Corrin so he’ll still invest in the new club my boss wants to buy.” Steve kissed her again and then let her go “Text me when you are on your way home.” Romy waved in acknowledgement, while making her way over to a middle aged man. 

——xx——xx——

“Hey, we gotta order a drink for Chin, he’s running late.” Kono sat down in RumFire with the team. 
No, no, he can come in on the next round.” Steve chose the seat opposite her. “Um, excuse me. Could I get a Longboard when you’re ready.” He addressed the woman handing out the drink menus. 
“She’s a hostess, not a waitress.” Danny reprimanded him, which got the two of them bickering about the difference between the two jobs. “I’m sorry for him. But if you are bringing him a beer, I’ll have one too.” 
“Same here.” Kono smiled at her.
 “I’ll have a Strawberry Daiquiri.” Lou announced. 
Steve couldn’t hold in the chuckle trying to escape. “Did you say strawberry daiquiri?” 
“Im comfortable with my manhood, brother.”
“Oh yes, you are. And deep dish pizzas, strawberry daiquiris. You like the finer things in life.” 
“Absolutely. I’m a connoisseur, baby.”  
Kono’s “Oho.” interrupted Steve’s and Lou’s conversation. 
Following her line of vision, they saw Romy standing at the bar, with man she was with at the Walani Hotel earlier on. In complete stupor, they watched how the guy moved to stand behind Romy, effectively caging her in, one of his hands resting on her shoulder while the other slid down to her waist and then hip.  

Romy had moved their conversation from a private dining room at the Royal Hawaiian to RumFire, he was making her uncomfortable and she had hoped that a more public setting would deter Mr Corrin from trying anything he eluded to earlier on. Frankly no such luck, as his hands started to wander her body. Taking a deep breath, she tried to proclaim a sense of calm she did not feel at all at the moment. 
“Mr Corrin, I’d appreciate it if you would remove your hand from my body.” Romy’s tone clipped. 
“Why? Don’t pretend you aren’t part of the deal.” He started to caress her shoulder. “First you flirt with the police officer, even let him touch you. Then you flirt with me over dinner, and now you turn all frigid?”
“I told you before. This is not how Mr Khan conducts his business. I am asking once again very politely, that you remove your hands.” Romy shivered as she felt the hand squeeze her hips and started to make its way around to her bum. 
“If you have not removed your hands  in one-second, it will be broken.” a growl behind her, she’d recognised that voice anywhere. 
Mr Corrin turned around “What’s your problem?” 
Steve stared at hand the man dared still to have on Romy’s body, he could see her shrinking away. 
That made him snap, hands going to the guys shirt forcibly moving him two steps away from Romy, towards the employee part of the bar out of sight of the other guests. “She told you to remove your hands.” Steve pushed Mr Corrin’s arm behind his back and the next moment a crack could be heard.  
“You broke my arm!” the man cried out “I’m going to have you arrested for this. Do you know who I am?” 
“I don’t give a fuck. At the moment you are the douche bag, that assaulted the girlfriend of the head of 5-0, which would be me.” He slapped his badge into the guy’s forehead, leaving an imprint of his shield. 
“Steve?” he turned around, Kono, Lou and Danny had followed him and brought, what he assumed was, hotel security “Need a hand?” 
He handed the man over to hotel security guard, Romy stepped up next to him “Thank you, but after reviewing your proposal, we are not interested in your investment, we don’t do business with assailants.” 
“You bitch.” Mr Corrin sneered. 
“Be glad, I’m not pressing charges.” Her head was held high, but Steve could hear the slight tremor in her voice. “Thank you, Tom.” her attention moved to the security guard. “I’ll flag him in both properties, Ms Erhardt?”, the burly guard anticipated her. 
“Yes, please.”  With that she turned around and moved back to the bar. 
Motioning to the bar tender, her mask still perfectly in place. Inez began to pour the golden liquid, looked up at the usual point but Romy tapped the glass with her fingernail an inch above. Without a word she continued to fill up the glass. 
“Thanks.” 
Steve stepped back up to her again “Romy?” 
She lifted her index finger indicating him to hold on for a sec, grabbed the glass full of Tequila and downed it with a swift move, she nodded to Inez, who obliged with filling the glass once more. 
Only then Romy turned to Steve, he was worried she could see it in his eyes. 
Unfortunately this kind of shit happens way too often, business men thinking she was just the secretary, part of the deal, not allowed to make a decision, scared to anger them. Usually it was just words, and innuendos. 
This tonight was too much. 
She leaned up to she kissed him her hand landing on his pec to keep stability “Thank you.” 
“You ok?” 
“Hm” she raised her shoulders. 
“You want to go home?”
A grateful smile, but she shook her head. “No, I want to have a drink with you and our friends and listen to Jerry sing.” Steve questioning face made her nod to the stage where Jerry was setting up.
“Ok.” Steve interlaced his fingers with hers and lead her over to the teams table. The others were kind enough not to say anything, but she had a feeling Kono would bring it back up at their next dinner. 
“Do you need anything?” Steve whispered in her ear. 
Closing her eyes, she thought for a moment. “Could you…could you just not let me go?” Romy knew he wasn’t that keen on PDA, but he surprised her. Steve’s arm slung around her waist, anchoring her to him and they sunk further into their chairs, Romy’s head resting on his shoulders as he discussed the finer points of Rock n’ Roll with Lou.
Their conversations were interrupted by Jerry on the mic. “They say when a star dies, it’s light continues to travel for hundreds of years. This song goes out to one of our own. Lane Collins, though he’s gone, his light keeps shining on us all.” He gave a nod to the musicians behind him and started his beautiful rendition of Love me. People started to get up and dance, Steve pulled Romy out of her chair and towards the dance floor. His hand holding hers, resting them on his chest, while his other hand held her waist. Romy’s splayed on his shoulder, while her head nestled under his chin. They moved slowly to Jerry’s crooning voice, Steve lifting their joined hands to his mouth, pressing a kiss to hers.  Swaying like this both were able to forget the incident from before, the heartbreak Lou and Renee were going through and that deep in Romy’s bag her phone was buzzing with the details for her return flight to London. 

Well, if you ever go,Darling, I'll be oh so lonelyI'll be sad and blue,Crying over you, dear only.
I would beg and stealJust to feel your heart Beatin' close to mine
Well, if you ever go,Darling, I'll be oh so lonelyBeggin' on knees,All I ask is please, please love me
(Words & Music Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller)

Chapter 13: Tender Loving Care

Summary:

Summary: Three stooges ruining a great day and Danny ruining a perfect evening. Those two just cannot catch a break.

Warnings: Smut...I mean it...this is for over 18 year olds only
Episode: Season 5 - 22

Notes:

Hello lovelies,
How are you all?
Thank you for all your reviews and comments from the last chapter, they honestly make my day reading them. Romy and Steve are back, and they still can’t keep their hands off each other, so I decided to raise the rating for this story. Anyone feeling like hitting Danny at the end of this chapter...believe me that feeling this mutual.
Let me know what you think via carrier pigeon, comments, message or morse code. Whatever floats your boat, it will be gladly received :)
Enjoy xx

Chapter Text

 

“Good morning.” Steve singsonged softly into Romy’s ear. “Rise and shine, gorgeous. We’ve got some exciting plans today.” He stroked her face, but only got a grunt in return and Romy trying to turn away, burying herself further under the sheet. “Come on Romy!” Steve tugging at her hand trying to get her to move “You promised.” 

Romy lifted one half of her sleep mask “It’s not even fully light outside. How dare you to wake me up before dawn.” She put her eye mask back in place. 

Pouncing on to the bed like he wasn’t a grown man, but an overexcited toddler on Christmas Day, he leaned down to whisper “You promised, Romy. You said you’d come with us for the hike. I got the permits and all.” 

With a sigh Romy pushed her sleep mask up to her forehead, not impressed at Steve’s cheerfulness this early in the morning at all. “You never said anything about getting up before dawn.” 

“If I did, you’d never agreed to come.” He looked quite proud of himself. Sitting up, Romy cupped Steve’s face in her hands and pouted “That’s not fair at all.” 

“Don’t be a downer, Romy.” He grinned at her, taking hold of her wrists and kissing her left palm. “You promised Nahele.” 

“Ugh!” Dramatically Romy fell back down on the mattress, she knew when she was beat. She’d never reneg on a promise to Nahele. Steve let go of her hand and blew a raspberry, where her sleep top had ridden up. “Stop that.” Romy giggled as she tried to swat him away. She was ticklish as hell, and tried to squirm from him. 

“Uhu..” Steve shook his head “You know what I want.” 

Romy groaned in defeat “Ok. Ok.” She pushed herself up into a half sitting position. “I’ll get dressed and ready for our hike of death.” 

“It’s not the hike of death Romy.” Steve got of the bed and pulled her out of it as well. Romy collapsed against him, letting him drag her to the bathroom. 

“It’s 8 hours of the most beautiful landscape ever.” 

“There better be coffee waiting for me, when I’m done in the bathroom.” 

Grinning like a fool, Steve couldn’t help himself and stole a kiss, before assuring her “All the coffee in the world.”

——xx——xx——

“Don’t mind her, she’s still grouchy.” Steve said to Nahele, as the teenager opened the rear door of the pickup. 

“Told you, she’d be mad.” he grinned back Steve. 

“She” Romy glared at the two of them “would like for you to stop talking about her.” She huffed back into the passenger seat and pulled her sunglasses back down. ‘Grouchy.’ Steve mouthed silently to Nahele. The teenager suppressed a giggle, and then laughed out loud as Steve yelped — Romy had pinched him in his side. 

“I’m not grouchy. I just don’t like early mornings.” 

Steve looked over at her, as he navigated the empty Honolulu streets, grasping her hand in his on the middle console, he said “Why don’t you close your eyes until we get there?” Nahele watched the exchange, how tender Steve voice sounded, the squeeze of grasped hands, Romy’s soft smile, how she looked at Steve until she closed her eyes, for what was going to be a short power nap. It made him miss something, that he’d never had. 

——xx——xx——

Steve parked at the rangers station and the three of them got out of the car. Romy and Nahele making sure that the backpacks were packed properly,  while Steve talked to the ranger checking their permit.  

“Better to start early with this trail, you have no idea how many people we need to pull out after dark all the time.” Steve shot Romy a triumphant smile, which she retuned with a pout. 

“Have a great day. Call the station, if you need anything.” 

“Mahalo, brother!” 

Setting off a steady pace the three of them made head way pretty quickly. Nahele was eager to get to the view point, from where you could see almost the whole crater. Steve and Romy followed him, Romy’s pinky finger hooked with his, their hands swaying softly between them. An easy conversation flowed, with Romy listing all the things the two of them would need to do to make the 5am start up to her. A foot rub, home cooked meal, control of the remote for an evening with no whining about the program she chose, an admittance that Rest of the World Football was better than American Football. 

They were about to turn right, away from the service road that cut through the hiking trail when they heard voices. Steve couldn’t make out what was being said, but the other noise sounded like...a shovel?! 

“Steve?” Romy pulled at their linked pinkies a little, his spine had straightened the moment he could hear the others. “The ranger said we’re the only ones, right?”

“Yeah.”

“What do you think is going on?” 

“Let’s find out.” Steve turned around and quickly pulled his gun out of the backpack he’d been carrying. 

“Are you kidding me? You brought your gun?” Romy exclaimed. 

He shrugged his shoulders and grinned at her “Of course.” 

The three of them moved behind a tree, Steve surveyed the scene, those three guys were burying something, but he couldn’t see what. Whatever it was, it definitely wasn’t anything legal. 

“Stay here!” he whispered to Romy and Nahele before he charged forward. 

“Five - 0. Drop your weapons.” Steve commanded with his gun raised. The three men immediately dropped the shovels in their hands. “Hands on your heads and turn around slowly.”

Romy almost needed to laugh, the three men didn’t look like hardened criminals, they looked like soccer dads. 

“Please, we didn’t mean to....” the largest of the three started. 

“Shut up man!” One of his friends hissed at him. Steve still had his weapon trained on them. 

“On your knees.” 

One by one dropped to their knees, they were shaking, what the fuck were they doing,  “Romy in your backpack are some zip ties, can you bind their hands and feet.”

“Dude that is really not necessary.” The African-American of the three exclaimed. 

“Well, unfortunately you don’t get to decide that.” Steve narrowed his eyes. Romy had just finished binding the three up, when they heard Nahele “Steve! You need to see that!” Both of them jogged the five paces over to Nahele. He stood over the hole that the now tied up guys had dug up. 

“Is she...is she dead?” The teenager asked Steve. 

“Yeah.” He nodded. 

“Holy Shit! This is the craziest Sunday ever. No-one at school is going to believe me.” Nahele looked almost giddy, at the prospect of retelling that tale at school. Steve crouched down to inspect the body further, female, in her twenties, bullet wound to the head. He looked back the three stooges, could they have done it? 

He felt more, than saw the swaying next to him, he looked up and saw Romy closing her eyes. “You ok?” 

She shook her head “My first dead body.” She mumbled “Trying to keep my breakfast in.” 

Steve stood up and drew her close, smoothing some errand strands, of the stubble she called a ponytail, back. “Better?” He asked after a moment. Taking a deep breath, Romy averted her eyes from the woman and concentrated on Steve. 

“Yeah. I just did not expect to see that.” 

“Says the woman, who’s favourite show is Bones.” Steve teased her. 

“That’s on TV and not live in front of me, but I think she was in the water for a while.” Steve laughed out loud, Romy was back. “Before you start the autopsy yourself, could you call in the cavalry?” he handed her his satellite phone.  

“Sure.” 

Steve handed her his satellite phone and kissed her forehead “Thanks, and drink some water, please.” 

“So,” he turned to the tree guys “Care to explain to me why you decided to bury a dead woman and ruin my day?” 

——xx——xx——

By the time HPD, Danny and Max had arrived, he figured out that the three stooges were actually three CPA’s from Cleveland, claiming to be on vacation. Steve briefed Duke and Danny once they arrived and they made their way over to the body. 

Steve looked back out to the rest of the park, hands on his hips, while Danny inspected the body a bit closer. Nothing else seemed to be out of place.

Turning his attention back to the body, “Who is she?” he asked Duke. 

“No idea.” 

“What else are they saying?” Danny hoped maybe some more information had been forth coming. 

“Not much. Figured you guys would like to have some more time with them.” 

“It’d be our pleasure.” He said with a mean smile. 

Walking back to the cars, he regarded the three suspects, only now did he notice that Romy seemed to have tied their legs together as well. She deserved more than a foot rub for that, maybe he even conceded the football conundrum. Romy had tied their feet with each other, like for a three legged race.

Grinning widely he walked over to her and Nahele and proceeded to kiss the stuffing out of her in front of everyone. “Could you please leave the PDA at home!” Danny grumbled before turning around to avoid the display. 

Steve set Romy back down on her feet, but didn’t let go of her yet.

“Not that I’m complaining, but what was that for?” Romy recovered quickly. 

“Your cuffing techniques will be standard from now on.” 

All of them, including Duke looked over to the cuffed men and started to laugh. “They didn’t strike me as clever enough to figure out a three legged race much less a four legged race.” Romy shrugged. 

Taking a step to the side, after giving Danny a quick hug hello, Romy cocked her head to the side and smiled at him.  “You’ve got a case, hu?” She could see that it bothered him, but he’d never turn down a case.

“Yeah, can’t really give that one away.” he sighed and pushed his had through his hair. One more day out ruined for them, because of his job. 

——xx——xx——

Interviewing these three felt like being in a movie, the cheap version of Hungover to be exact. Steve, Danny & Lou were reconvening in his office - how can those three idiots not remember a thing. 

A knock interrupted their commiserating “Can we interrupt?” Romy and Nahele stood in the door. They had obviously changed, no longer in active gear but in jeans and T-Shirts, well in Romy’s case a loose linen shirt with the sleeves folded up. 

“Hey, of course you can. It’s not like we’ve got anything from the idiots downstairs.” 

“Well hopefully this will help.” Nahele dropped two large plastic bags on Steve’s desk. “We went to Rainbow for brunch and decided to be nice and share.” 

“Girl. I love you!” Grover exclaimed and opened the bags gleefully. 

“Are they still sticking with their story of vacation?” Romy made speech marks around vacation. 

“Yeah.” Danny said with a mouth full of Loco Moco. 

“More like trying to score with college girls.” Romy snorted. The look the three men shared proved her point. 

“How did you know that?” Nahele looked at her in awe. 

“Spring break is driving me crazy at work. You won’t believe how many middle aged guys are trying to score with college girls.” she shrugged. “We are actually starting to run out of key cards.” 

“Why’s that?” Steve looked up from his food container. 

“They get tons of room keys from reception and then distribute them out while buying drinks, with the hope that one girl takes them up on the offer.” 

“So, those keys could be picked up by anyone and anywhere?” 

Romy nodded and received a groan in response. “Did I just make your job more difficult?” 

“More like the possibilities endless.” Danny whined. 

——xx——xx——

 The surprise visit from Romy and Nahele, as well as listening to the voicemails of the angry (putting it mildly) wives did manage to lift Steve’s mood a little bit. “...I swear to god you are on the couch when you get back.” Steve and Danny shared a grin, this was going to be fun. 

“Seems like a catch this lady. Six messages just like that, just from this morning.”

“Hm...Is that normal?” 

“What do you mean? Why are you asking me?” 

“Well” Steve leaned on the computer table “you are divorced.” 

“Oh I see, you are comparing this to me and Rachel. Listen.” Danny pressed play on another message. “I hope your plane crashes on the way back, you ball-less hairless looser.” He nodded his head, indicating this was more like it. 

“Come to think of it, you and Romy are more married than me and Rachel ever were. She’d ever left you a message like this?” 

“Danny...”Steve groaned. 

“What, don’t deny it. Don’t you think, I saw your face this morning? The two of you all lovey dovey. Hey and you got the son as well already. Now the only thing missing is a pet.”

“Can you please just leave it?!”

“No.” 

“Why not?” 

“Cause I know that she’s got her marching orders back to London and I also know that you are too scared to ask her not to go.” 

Steve leaned down on the table and shook his head. 

“What I don’t understand is, why are you scared? It’s not like she doesn’t feel the same way.” Danny shrugged. Steve wanted to punch him, he was like a dog with a freaking bone.

“It’s not that easy. She has a life back in London, her family and friends, her job. She is not going to give that all up just for me and I don’t want her too.” Steve pushed himself off the table. 

“Scared she’d turn you down?” 

Danny had managed to push the button right were it hurt, when did a woman ever stick around for him? 

Steve was reprieved from answering as Lou came back into the room “So I just got off the phone with ballistics, our suspects rifle is no match to the slug pulled out of the vic.” 

“Ok, they still could have dumped the murder weapon before they don’t dumped the body.” Danny contemplated and looked at Steve. 

“Yeah, we didn’t came across a weapon in the park though.” Steve responded. 

“And the girl was shot with one single shot to the back of the neck. According to the Tox screen, Max said they were so polluted they needed to empty a whole clip just to hit the side of a barn.” Lou elaborated. 

“Let’s just say for a minute they didn't do it. The vic still got their room key in her pocket, which means some point during the night their paths must have crossed.” 

 

——xx——xx——

 

“I have never felt this old in my life.” Steve let out a huge sigh and sank deeper into the Adirondack chair, trying to relax. 

“Why? Early morning catching up with you?” Romy snarked from her chair next to him.  Steve pinched her foot, currently lying on his lap, in retaliation “Very funny.” 

“I thought so too.” 

The two sat in silence for a moment, the waves moving lazily against the beach. Romy flexed her toes in Steve’s lap trying to get him to continue his massage. “Why did you feel old today, Schnuffi?” 

“The amount of people thinking I could be a dad of a college kid, for starters.” 

Romy held in a chuckle, Steve looked really put out by that. 

“The noise and constant partying. How did we do that?” 

Now she couldn’t hold that chuckle in, “I can’t help you with that. Never went to college. But I feel you,” Romy looked wistfully out to the sea as she continued “we used to go out and party all night long, only to shower and then pull a 6am shift at the hotel reception.” Her gaze wandered over to him, a smile curling around her the corners of her mouth. “This isn’t too bad so, isn’t it?” 

“Yeah, not bad at all.” Steve squeezed her foot, and returned her smile. 

Their moment was interrupted by Romy’s phone buzzing. “It’s not another flight change is it?” Romy could hear the edge in Steve’s voice. 

“No” she shook her head “Just Renee whining again.”

“What’s Mrs Grover whining about?” 

“Kono deciding to ditch her bachelorette party.” Steve pulled a face. 

“Renee was looking forward to a night out.” she gave as a simple explanation.

“At least someone is feeling young enough for a night out.” 

Pulling herself up from her slouching position, she squinted at him “What is it with you tonight?” She had never seen him that defeatist, even during all the legal trouble with Chin and Danny.

“I don’t know.” Steve shook his head. “This case...it was all so unnecessary.”

 Romy slid out of her chair and onto his lap. Her arms rested on his shoulders and she bumped her nose against his “Anything I can do?” 

“You’re doing it.” They smiled at each other. 

An idea came to her, she leaned over to whisper in his ear “You want to do something young and stupid?” 

“What?” He shivered as her breath hit his skin. 

“Fuck me.” Her teeth grazing his earlobe. “Right here. Right now.” 

Steve closed his eyes, he was growing hard already. Romy noticed too and rolled her hips against him. He moaned into her neck, trying to stifle the noise. 

He did have neighbours. 

“You know we could get arrested for that?” He asked her, while pulling down the strap of her dress and  bra, freeing her breasts. Romy’s head fell back at his ministrations and Steve couldn’t help himself and kissed his way up  the white column of her throat, until he found the right spot. He sucked on her skin, making Romy see stars. 

“I thought this was legal in Hawaii?” She panted. 

Steve grinned into her neck, letting his teeth graze, marking her. He kinda loved that she knew that. 

“Only if you’re married.” 

Laughing out loud at that, Romy pulled him closer, burying her fingers in his hair “Wonder how they enforce that? Asking for a marriage license?” 

Instead of an answer Steve pulled her in for a deep kiss, their tongues dancing. Her hands seem to be everywhere at once, his hair, up his shirt stroking his pecs, his shoulders and then they were tugging at the waistband of his shorts. Steve lifted his hips to help and then his errection sprang free. Dipping her hand between her folds Romy, gathering some of her wetness on her fingers, she circled her fingers around Steve’s dick, pumping him, her wetness spreading all over him. “Oh God, Romy.” Steve groaned out, his eyes darkened and he kissed her roughly. Getting more and more turned on, on how Steve reacted to her, she needed friction.

 She couldn’t think. 

“Steve.” Her rhythm on his dick faltered. “I need you. Oh god, I need you so bad.” Her pupils blown wide with desire, the blue of her irises being swallowed by the black of her pupils. 

 “Come here.” Steve shifted her slightly on his legs, pushing her panties out of the way, he settled her core  against his leg. He could feel her coating his tight, making him shudder. Taking one of her hands off his dick, he kissed it before placing it on his shoulder. “Take what you need gorgeous.” He stroke his cock leisurely while watching Romy move. 

It felt too much and not enough all at once, sliding back and forth on his muscular thigh. His hair tickling her core, become wetter and wetter with every slide. Romy clung to him, fingers digging deep into Steve’s shoulder. She kissed him, trapping his dick between their bodies, feeling his movements she matched her own to him, higher and higher she wound herself, heat pooling inside. 

She could feel Steve’s thigh clenching underneath her, adding more friction, he was close too. Her clit begging for more attention, he slid a hand between her and his leg. “Right there.” She whimpered, “almost there.” 

“Romy.” Steve growled, he couldn’t wait any longer. He removed his hand, pulling her up at her hips and thrust up into her heat. 

 

“Steve! Romy!” 

 

They froze. Romy bit her lip, trying to stop the moan escaping her mouth, which turned quickly into a giggle. “Quiet you.” Steve whispered and squeezed her to his chest, in an effort to muffle her. 

“There you are!” 

They could hear Danny moving towards the beach part of the garden. 

“Do not come any closer!” Steve ground out, still holding a giggling Romy to him. 

“What? Why?” Then it clicked. “Oh god...gross!” 

“Excuse me?” Romy’s face popped out from Steve’s shoulder. 

“I...I just wait in the house...I think...trying to gorge out my eyes ... and my brain.” Danny turned around and sped back into the house. “Animals...outside...I sat on that chair” he grumbled all the way. 

“Well the mood is officially killed.” Steve sighed and put Romy’s clothes back into place, pressing kisses on her skin before covering it up. 

“On the other hand nothing screams young, like getting interrupted by dad.” She got up gingerly and watched as Steve tugged himself back into place. 

“More like getting cockblocked by the annoying brother.” He grumbled. 

 

——xx——xx——

 

Steve was standing with Chin, being way too serious for the joyous occasion. They were looking at something on Chin’s phone, whispering intently. 

“Looking good, Jerry.” Kono smoothed out the lapels of Jerry’s suit. 

“It’s a rental.” He mumbled. 

“Don’t be nervous. What you did was really brave.” She continued. 

“Thanks Kono.” 

“We are proud of you, Jerry.” Romy smiled, as they made their way over to the other two. 

“There he is, there is the hero. Look at you buddy.” Steve engulfed Jerry in a hug. 

“Congrats, Jer. Everyone is really proud of ye.” Chin shook his hand. 

“I‘ll take that badge now.” Jerry fished again, while Steve adjusted his tie. This was laughed down by the rest of the team. 

“Hey we better get a seat over their by the podium. It’s starting to fill up.” Kono tried to move the gang along. 

And Steve’s Hand found its way to Romy’s small of her back leading her away to some free seats. She turned around and saw Kamekona, in his trademark yellow shirt, greeting Jerry. 

“Be right back.” She kissed Steve’s cheek and walked over to the two of them, just in time to see Kamekona handing Jerry one of his shirts. 

“Oh no.” She grabbed the shirt out of his hand. 

“What German Rose?” Kamekona looked at her. 

“You are not making Jerry wear that T-shirt, are you?”

“I lost revenue due to this whole thing. Just a small favour to make up for that monetary loss.”

“No, big guy.” Romy shook her head. 

“What? You always say free advertisement is the best advertisement.” 

“Yes, but not at the expense of your friend.” Romy countered.

“He was the reason I lost that revenue, German Rose.” 

“I don’t mind, Romy. Really.” Jerry tried to take the shirt off her, but Romy shook her head. 

“No way, this is your moment. You look great in your suit. Don’t let a yellow shirt ruin that for you. They are taking pictures, Jerry.”

“Exactly. Perfect advertisement.” Kamekona now tried to take the shirt from her “Gee you’re strong.” 

Romy pinned Kamekona with a look, her finger pointing “This picture will be just as great advertisement, printed out and pinned to your truck and posted on your Instagram.”

“But...”

“No buts.” 

Firmly she moved Kamekona over to where the others were sitting, he was still whining about the missed opportunity.

“Be the bigger man, Kamekona.” 

She scooted over to her seat between Steve and Kono, the T-shirt still clutched in her hand. 

“Can you put that in your bag?” She whispered to Kono. 

“Sure. Where’s yours?”

“Someone puked in it.” Romy grinned at her. 

“Thanks sister.” Kono panned back drily. 

——xx——xx——

 

 

Chapter 14: Endings / Beginnings

Summary:

Starts and Ends of a Journey always come in circles - just ask Kono and Romy

Notes:

Warnings: None, really. Just that my heart grew heavy while writing this.
Episode: Season 5 - 23 & 5 -24

Hello lovelies,
How are you all?
We are coming to the end of the season. When I started this little fic, almost a year ago on a beautiful beach, I never imagined that so many people would read it. From the bottom of my heart - Thank you!
If you want to know more about those two, please send me a PM or find me on Tumblr (@babymelancholie1). I’m always up for a chat.
Can’t wait to read your thoughts on this chapter.
Enjoy xx

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

——xx——xx——

Even two weeks after the incident, Danny still couldn’t look Romy in the eyes.

“Come on, Danny. It’s not like you saw anything, really.” She bumped his shoulder as they wandered down to the beach, to say goodbye to Kono.

“I saw enough,” he whispered harshly back, trying not to gain the attention of Grace who walked ahead with Steve. “You two are adults. You shouldn’t be doing...”

“Exactly, we are adults.” Romy linked her arm with his, slowing him down further.

“Anybody could have seen you.”

“We were at Steve’s place, in the dark. How could we know that you were bored and wanted to come by?”

“Ugh.”

“And by the way” Romy said with a glint in her eyes “we should be mad.” Danny’s head whipped up to meet her eyes. “We didn’t even get to finish.” With that she released Danny’s arm and skipped ahead to walk next to Steve, leaving Danny behind making a very convincing fish impression.

Kono was tying the sail as they approached her on the beach, the boat that she had built looked amazing, even to Romy’s untrained eyes.

Luckily she hadn’t noticed them yet, being there when she embarked on her journey was supposed to be a surprise. Steve let go of Grace’s and Romy’s hand and moved  closer to the boat, he put his finger to his lips Steve signalling to Chin to be quiet. Leaning against the vessel he said, “Requesting permission to come on board.”

Turning around Kono smiled as she saw her boss and friends, “Permission granted, Commander.”

Steve vaulted onto the boat, and they both lifted their hands to their temple, saluting each other.

“At ease.” Steve smiled at Kono and they started laughing before he drew her into a hug. “I thought we were going to see your fiancé out here today?” Steve’s eyes darting from Chin and Kono.

Romy didnt really understand the look the two men exchanged, what was going on there? They both had been quite secretive since Jerry’s commendation ceremony.

“Yeah, well. Adam said he’d rather watch me come back than leave. So we said our goodbyes this morning.”

“Yeah, I don’t blame him. We all feel the same way, Kono.” Steve smiled tightly and looked down to the rest of them.

“Hey! You guys have to come down off the ship if you want me to say goodbye.” Danny shouted.

Laughing Kono hopped off the boat and bound over to Danny, hugging him tight you. “Hey I got her open the trunk we throw her in.” Danny pulled her around moving into the direction of their cars.

“I’ll be fine!” Kono struggled to breath in Danny’s hug.

Steve laughed at their antics, coming to stand behind Romy, hugging her to his chest.

“Hey listen now about that weather we go coming in?” Lou sounded worried, but Kono waved him off.

“Storms moving south and I’m heading east to Moloka’i. So if I leave now, the only ones getting hit by the rain are you guys.”

“Friend of mine’s got a pretty sweet storm shelter, if anyone’s interested. It’s got WiFi.” Jerry looked almost excited at the prospect, while the rest of them found the sandy beach suddenly quite interesting.

Not wanting leave his friend hanging, Chin said “We think about it, Jerry.”

Kawika came forward and blessed Kono with a palm leave, before he drew Kono’s head close to his and the two friends shared a Joni and a hug.

“Thanks for coming Kawika.” Kono was touched that he came.

“You are making us proud today.” He smiled at her and stepped towards the boat.

Dipping the leaf once more into the water, he started the traditional and age long Hawaiian blessings on the boat. The team stood in reverence, closing their eyes. Romy held clasped her hands on top of Steve’s, that still rested on her belly. She didn’t know what Kawika was saying, but the ancient language made it sound so powerful. So she send her wishes along with it, that Kono would find what she’s looking for and that she came back unharmed.

——xx——xx——

“This craft seems to be quite sound and stalwart, Officer Kalakaua. And if you ask my opinion you’ll have no trouble circumnavigating the islands.” Max had crouched down next to boat and seemed to be inspecting it.

That got Danny scoffing, “I can get you the same trip for $150, plus they give you a bag of peanuts.”

“Flying is easy. Our ancestors, they connected the islands on a wa’a like this one.” Kono ribbed right back.

“Yeah where is your sense of adventure?” Kawika questioned him.

“Adventure? No, I work with this guy.” Danny gestured over to Steve. “I don’t need anymore adventure. Thanks though.”

They all grinned knowingly grinned at Steve, who looked very proud of himself.

Stepping forward, Grace tugged at Kono’s hand “I’ve got something for you Auntie.” She held out the Lei she made herself. Smiling Kono leaned down so that Grace could drape the flowers around her neck. Drawing the girl in for a hug she whispered, “Love you.”

“I’ve got something for you too, sistah. Sustenances for the sea, from the sea.” Kamekona did not want to be outdone by a Lei and brandished a plastic bag full of shrimp to Kono.

“Oh, you know that’s gonna go bad in two hours, right?” Kono stepped back a bit to avoid the dangling bag.

Chastened he took the shrimp back “Anybody hungry, I got two garlic shrimp plates half off.”

“Cash Only” Flippa pitched in.

“That’s unbelievable.” Danny’s voice got a little squeaky at the obvious rip off “You’re gonna makes us pay, but your gonna give it to her for free?”

Grinning Kamekona unfolded something else he had slung over his shoulder,  “Who said anything about free. I was gonna have her wear my designer apparel. Little product placement for the journey. “ He handed Kono one of his T-Shirts.

“You created a monster.” Steve murmured into Romy’s ear, squeezing her to him and kissing her ear.

Romy shrugged and chuckled “He just needed some encouragement.”

“If one person didn’t need encouragement for crazy advertisement schemes, its Kamekona.”

“They aren’t crazy if you can pull them off.” Romy said in defense of their friend.

“Kono, take it. It’s good in case your sail falls, you got an extra.” Danny snarked but that flew right over Kamekona’s head, as he hugged Kono.

“Be safe, sistah.”

Stepping out of Steve’s hug, Romy drew Kono in. Pressing a kiss to her cheek she asked, “You sure you want to do this instead of a bachelorette party?”

A sigh escaped Kono and the two women kept their voices low. “Yeah, I need to do this. For me...for her... To get some clarity.” Kono didn’t know if she articulated herself properly, but Romy smiled and nodded. She did understand, sometimes distance and travel can put anything into perspective. Make it clear what you want and need.

Letting go of each other, Romy stepped back into Steve arms, when a car pulled up.

Romy and Steve looked at each other, there wasn’t supposed to be anyone else coming, was there?

They all watched how a man helped a woman out of the car and into a wheel chair. Slowly Kono handed the shirt to Danny and walked over to them, her face unreadable.

Sensing the confusion Chin stepped to the group and explained, her mother had an aneurism a few years back and since then been in a wheelchair with little to no reaction to the outside world.

Now Romy understood, when Kono said she was not only doing it for herself but for someone else too. She was completing her mother’s dream as well as her own.

They watched the touching scene between the three and when Kamekona made the conch shell sing it became a tad much for Romy. Kono’s beginning her journey, brought home to her how close she was to ending hers. She breathed in the sea air, intertwined her fingers with Steve and tried to ignore the tear that made its way down her cheek.

Then Kono pushed her wa’a onto the water and set sail. She looked so happy when she turned around and waved.

Ready to take the waves, ready to take the world, to find what she was looking for.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy’s day at the hotel had been hectic to say the least, her team was standing, she’d just wished they had someone to lead it and not only heads of departments. Maybe that was just wishful thinking on her part, trying to find a reason to extend her stay, but even she knew that her case was weak at best. So she wrote SOP’s organised as best as she could, but it got harder with every day. With every box that moved out of her office and every project she handed over to her department heads.

Looking out of the window, she saw the dark sky. Kono had been right the storm was going to hit them and not her.

——xx——xx——

“Chin has a bad feeling.” Steve said as they stood in his kitchen, pan frying some chicken to go with the salad and bread already waiting on their plates. “About Kono?” Romy took a sip of her white wine. “Yeah.” Taking the chicken out of the pan to let it rest before carving up.

“Have you guys tried to reach her at all?”

“No luck, but she did say she wouldn’t turn it on constantly.”

“Kono know’s what she’s doing.” Taking their plates and glasses the two of them  made their way out on the lanai. “That’s what I said.” Steve grinned.

“So how was your day?” He asked after a couple of minutes.

“Long and tedious.” Romy sighed and Steve prompted her to go on.

“Handing over projects and all of that. Has me a bit on edge.”

They looked at each other for a moment, neither of them knew what to say. How to get out what they really wanted to say, but didn’t think they had the right to do so. Steve put his hand on the table and Romy slid hers over, both of them inching closer until their fingers intertwined.

 

Holding on.

 

It didn’t take them long to make their way up to the bedroom. Kissing, trying to touch every patch of skin available. They stumbled on the last two steps in their rush to get their clothes off and if it wasn’t for Steve’s quick reaction they’d both would have crashed to the floor.

He covered her naked body, teeth grazing down her neck, her mouth kissing his collarbone. Coming back up for air, sharing deep kisses...soft whispers...and then the sweet release.

Romy moved down a bit so she could snuggle underneath his chin. Her ear right above his heart beat. She started doodling with her fingers on his chest and could feel Steve respond in kind. She loved the moments after sex with him. Don’t get her wrong the sex was amazing, but this was something else. She knew he loved that time as well, could feel it in the little sighs he let out. Like both of them could turn their brains off, let their guard down, just be. How is she going to live without it?

——xx——xx——

The next morning Steve got up early for a raid on their meth case, leaving Romy asleep in bed. He surveyed his bedroom as he got ready. The nightstand on her side of the bed was littered with bobby pins and hair ties, her pillow spray, as well as two books. It fascinated him how she didn’t lose herself in the different plot lines , especially after he got into her car one day, and an audiobook began to play after he turned the ignition. He could still see her grin at him when he exclaimed “Three books! Woman how can you keep those characters straight in your head.”

“You wanna quiz me?”

“Oh yeah, and what’s going to happen when you get something wrong?”

“I’m sure you can figure something out.” Her grin had become downright dirty.

While trying to get her to slip up was fun indeed, the arguments they had discussing the books after he read them as well, were almost more fun. Seeing her all riled up, defending a characters choice or getting all up in arms when they did something stupid. He was going to miss that, as well as her book recommendations. Her taste was so wide, he’d never knew what he was going to get next, a Whodunnit, a sappy romance novel, or a non fiction book about the state of the world.

Kneeling down next to her, he took a moment to look at her, the way her hair fell down her cheek and how her freckles seem to have multiplied on her shoulder again. He kissed the corner of her mouth and watched her eyelids flutter open.

“Hey.” Romy yawned softly.

“Morning Gorgeous.” He pushed some of her hair back behind her ear, tracing its shell.

“You heading out?” She took in his clothes.

Steve nodded “Yeah, we got the go ahead for the raid. Chin is waiting for me at the palace.”

Romy lifted herself up slightly and hugged him. Her sleep warm body moulding to his, her warmth seeping right into his bones. Steve hid his face in her hair and took in a deep breath, before letting her go. Romy sunk back down, but not before giving him a languish close mouthed kiss, cause morning breath was a real thing. “Be safe, commander.”

“Always.”  With that Steve pushed himself off his crouching position and headed to the door, but not without looking back once more. Romy had put her sleep mask back on and had rolled over onto his side, her head now resting on his pillow.

——xx——xx——

The day hadn’t been better than the day before, and it only became worse when Steve had called her that Kono had troubles at sea and they lost contact.

The team was with the coast guard, but she knew that she was going to be just in the way there. So she headed to Steve’s instead and started pacing.

She couldn’t remember the amount of coffee she drunk, but she was fairly certain she reached her 10,000 step requirement.

Tying her cardigan around her again, she took a sip of her coffee and watched the sun rise over the beach. Looking at her watch, she decided it was a good time as any to call Steve.

“Steve, its me, Romy.”

“Hey.” He sounded terrible.

“No good news then?”

“We’ve found the wreckage of her boat.”

“Fuck.”

“Yeah, but not her paddle board...”

“That’s good, right?”

Steve didn’t answer for a couple of moments.

“Steve? That’s good news right?” She couldn’t even imagine...she didnt even want to imagine.

“They found her.” He whispered.

“What?!”

“Chin, just had a call. They found her!” The timbre of his voice had changed completely. She could practical feel his relief through the phone.

“Thank god!” Romy’s hand covering her mouth as a mixture of sob or laugh escaped her.

——xx——xx——

‘They found her.’ Was a complete wrong description, thank you very much Steve. Kono  somehow managed to navigate those storms and paddled back to shore. Severely dehydrated and sunburnt, she had rescued herself.

Engulfing her friend into a careful hug at the hospital, Romy couldn’t resist to point out

“Should have had a bachelorette party, less trouble”

“Only if you have a leaving do.” Kono countered, getting her a grimace in return.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy fell down on top of Steve, their breath coming in pants as they tried to discern the noise. The knocking became louder and more insistent. "Promise me you’re going to hit whoever is at that door," she groaned in his ear.

"I promise," he panted. They shared a kiss, and Steve decided to ignore the knocking, as it started up again. He cursed and rolled out from underneath Romy. The knocking definitely had ruined the mood. Shoving his legs into sweatpants and pulling over his undershirt that Romy relieved him off earlier he stomped downstairs.  “Yeah, Yeah. I’m coming. I’m coming.” Romy could here Steve stomping down the stairs. ‘Yeah no one was coming in this house. Thank you very much.’ Romy shrugged into her PJ shorts and shirt from earlier in the evening. Steve had just opened the door and reveleaed Chin, when she came to stand next to him.

“Chin. You alright?”

Chin did not look alright at all. His eyes darting from Steve to Romy and back to Steve.

“Why don’t I make some coffee.” Romy offered.

“Thank you.” Chin looked relieved.

“Come on in.” Steve let him in and the two men moved to the dining room table.

——xx——xx——

In the kitchen Romy put the kettle on and prepped a tray with cups, milk and sugar. She could hear the muffled voices, first Steve agitated, Chin urgent, then resignation on Steve again. She strained her ears as she watched the boiled water turn into coffee in the french press, Adam’s name was mentioned a lot. Grabbing the tray she pushed the kitchen door open with her hip.

“Chin, we still don’t know that these meetings were about anything illegal.”

“Right. So I’m sure Adam is just there, uh, collecting the bounty on your behalf.” The irony in Chin’s voice could be all the way heard into the kitchen.

“My cousin’s getting married in three days, Steve.”, now he was getting agitated.

“I get that. Listen to me.” Steve tried to calm him down, getting Chin to use his head “You go ahead, you go and accuse Adam of getting back into bed with the Yakuza and you’re wrong, you’re gonna drive a wedge between the two of you, and Kono’s gonna be caught in the middle, all right? Now, we need the facts. we need all the facts. Until we know what these meetings were actually about, I think you say nothing.”

“Here you go.” Romy put the tray down on the table covering some of the photos Chin had brought. After she handed them each a mug, she picked up a picture.

She looked at it for while, while sipping her coffee “Could it be that someone wants to achieve just that.”

“What do you mean Romy?” Steve pulled her down onto his lap. Perching herself on his legs, she shrugged and picked up another picture.

“I mean the timing is highly convenient. Three days before the wedding. Let’s mess it all up by sowing distrust between you guys and Adam, catching Kono in the middle”, she shrugged.

Steve had laid his head on her shoulder, but now jerked up, his eyes met Chin’s.

“Anyone out there who’d gain from the team no longer being a team?”

“Gabriel.” Chin and Steve said at the same time.

“Waincroft?” Romy asked and she could feel Steve nod against her.

“My brother in law” Chin sighed “You can always count on him to make things difficult.”

“Well, I leave you two to figure that one out.” Romy stood up and covered her mouth for a yawn. She looked at the pictures for a moment, then up to Chin, contemplating how to say what’s on her mind. “Kono is my friend. I don’t lie to my friends. Figure something out quick.” Chin had never heard her like that. There was steel in her voice. It actually frightened him slightly.

Leaning down, she cupped Steve’s chin and kissed him thoroughly her tongue dipping cheekily into his mouth. When she broke the kiss, Steve chased after her mouth, but Romy just winked “Little incentive for you to come back to bed quickly.”

With that she bid goodbye to Chin and sauntered back upstairs.

“Did I interrupt something?” Chin rubbed his neck self consciously. The lift of Steve eyebrows told the man everything he needed to know.

“Sorry man.”

“Yeah, yeah. The second time in three weeks.” Steve grumbled as he let Chin to the door.

“Maybe you should tie a sock around your door handle.”

“As that would stop Williams.”

Closing the door behind his friend, Steve took two stairs at a time to get upstairs. Standing in his bedroom door, he smirked, Romy laid on top of the covers, wearing his shirt. Three buttons strategically buttoned up.

“I think we need to finish what we started.” He pulled his shirt of by the back of his neck, knowing exactly what it did to the woman currently occupying his bed. Romy sat up watching him prowl over to the bed, unbuttoning one tiny button with each of his steps. “I think I might have forgotten where we left off, Commander.”

“Let me remind you.” Steve growled and claimed her lips in a bruising kiss.

 

——xx——xx——

 

“So, you are bringing a date to the wedding?”

‘Subtle Danny really subtle’, Steve wanted to answer, instead he said “No, no I haven’t planned anyone.”

Danny pulled a face, “So you are just going to be sitting at the singles table with Kamekona, Jerry and Flippa.”

“I’ll be fine.”

“You’ll be hungry that’s what you are gonna be. Why don’t you bring Allie?”

“No, no. Allie is...she’s my buddy. I don’t know. I don’t want to ruin that, asking her to come to the wedding make it weird.”

“Yeah, yeah. I get it. Yo, Melissa has a friend.”

“No.”

“What she’s very cute.”

“No.”

“What no?”

“No, because no.”

“Steve, Romy is leaving, time to accept that or do something about it.”

“Romy and I, we knew that we were on a time limit.” He looked at Danny. “It was still a year though. I’m not ready to jump into something with somebody else, the same day she’s leaving. I appreciate it though. I appreciate it.”

“It’s just a simple question.” Danny couldn’t believe how defensive Steve got and then had the audacity to say that he and Romy weren’t anything. He decided to push further, the only way to get Steve to admit anything is keeping pushing that button.

“Let Melissa send a picture. Thats all.”

Steve made a cutting motion with his arm

“What is...”Danny repeated the motion “What is that.”

“That is a wall of silence. I just put up a wall of silence.”

“Oh is that what it is? Cause that’s gonna shut me up.”

“It made you change the subject. Nothing shuts you up.”

“So thats a no on the picture.”

Steve made the wall of silence gesture again

“You’ve got the brain of a 5 year old you know that.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

“Who is going to patch you up once I leave in 3 days?” Romy shook her head at Steve. “Hold still.” She chastised him and dabbed at his forehead with the cotton swap.

“Maybe someone who’ll be nice to me.” He pulled her between his legs, closing his arms around her waist, effectively trapping her.

“I think I’m perfectly nice to you.” Romy fiddled with the sticky part of the butterfly plaster before applying it carefully. “Especially to someone who thought it was a great idea to confront a serial killer on his own.” She surveyed her handy work. “There - all done.”

“Mhm” Steve shook his head. “You forgot something.”

Romy rolled her eyes in fond exasperation, ever since she patched him up after Wo Fat, he insisted on it.

“Heile Heile Segen. Morgen gibt es Regen, Übermorgen Sonnenschein. Und da lacht mein Kindelein: Ist alles wieder gut.” Romy recited the old verse, and kissed right next to the plaster on Steve’s head.

“You know my Mom would get such a kick out of this.”

“Out of what?”

“You, a fully grown man and Navy Seal, insisting I say the little verse she used to tell us when putting a plaster on our battle scars.”

Steve shrugged with an impish grin “What can I say it makes me feel better.”

“Well then it does its job.” Romy stepped out of Steve grasp to tidy away the first aid supplies. “Anything else exciting happened today?”

“Well Danny found out that Charlie is his son.” Steve hopped down the counter. Romy stood completely still the sterilised pads slipped from her grasp.

“You are fucking with me right now, aren’t you?”

“Nope.” Steve shook his head.

“Wow!” Her big eyes became even larger. “That’s a bombshell.”

“Apparently the kid is sick, and Danny needs to check if he can donate bone marrow.”

“Wow!” Romy couldn’t form anything else.

“Come on. I think we need a drink to digest that information.”

Guiding her down the stairs, his hand securely at Romy’s lower back, Steve parked her on the sofa, while pouring them both some Rum.

Romy took the glass from Steve, and folded her legs and turned to him. Her Rum glass sitting precariously on her knee. “So let me get this straight, Charlie is sick.”

“Yeah.”

“And Rachel, nor Grace or Stan obviously are matches.”

“Yeah.”

“So she would have never told him, if Charlie wouldn’t need his bone marrow?”

“I guess so.”

“And she always knew?”

“I assume so.”

“Did Stan know?”

“According to Rachel, he does now. So I’ll go with, he didn’t know either.”

“Danny is livid, isn’t he?”

“We passed livid in the rear view mirror a couple of miles ago.” Steve sighed and took a sip of his drink.

“Fuck.” Romy lifted her glass and downed the rum in one go.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy surveyed her office, spinning in her office chair. Today was her last day. Tomorrow she would pack her room and the day after...it was going to be over. Her Hawaii adventure was going to be over.

She got up and stepped to the window, the view still as breathtaking as on her first day. Guests milled around the pool and the bar, some here clearly for business. In suits and dresses sitting under the sun shades, moving papers, pointing out details on laptops, some joyously soaking up the holiday the vibe. While others trying to do both, she could see a woman toeing out of her heel sneakily, still nodding and holding the conversation with her meeting, but Romy didn’t miss the look of poor bliss that came over her as she buried her foot in the sand.

This, right there was what was so special about these islands. Turning around she picked up her notebook and jotted down a few lines.

James knocked on the door “You ready?”

Romy turned around and shook her head.

“And you didn’t want to come here in the beginning.” He teased her.

Scrunching her face, she tried to keep the tears at bay.

“Come on, Romy.” He held out his hand. “The team is waiting.”

Romy took his hand and let her work husband lead her down to the bar, where the teams of the two hotels were waiting for a toast.

He led her away from the gnawing feeling in her heart, from the empty suitcases, one in her suite and one at Steve’s. That needed to be packed, memories that needed to be stored and goodbyes that she needed but not wanted to say.

Notes:

‘Heile Heile Segen. Morgen gibt es Regen, Übermorgen Sonnenschein. Und da lacht mein Kindelein: Ist alles wieder gut.’
Translation:
Heal, heal blessing. Tomorrow there’ll be rain, the day after sunshine. And then my baby laughs: Everything is good again

Chapter 15: One More Goodbye

Summary:

It’s time for goodbyes and a wedding and a nuclear bomb. Romy’s final two days are not what the two of them had planned.

Notes:

Songs I listened to while writing: One more goodbye - Ward Thomas // Stay - Rihanna // Should I stay or should I go - The Clash
Warnings: Smut, cause they deserved it and maybe a tissue?
Episode: Season 5 Episode 25

Hello lovelies,
How are you all?
Who would have thought we ever reach that point? It’s the final episode of season 5. Your comments and messages on ways to get Romy to stay made me smile so much, we had everything from babies to putting her on a no flight list and Steve going back to London with Romy.
Well what can I say....
Enjoy xx

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

——xx——xx——

 

Romy rolled over in bed, she stretched sluggishly, not ready to wake up yet. Waking up would mean her second to last day in Hawaii had begun. She buried deeper into the pillow. Nope she was not ready.

Steve chuckled, as he watched her rolling into his pillow. Holding two mugs of coffee in his hand, he stepped into the room. “Morning Romy.” He set the mugs on the nightstand before cuddling back under the sheets with her.

“Hmm” Romy turned around burrowed her head into his chest “donbwanl”

“What?” He moved his hand in her hair and lifted Romy’s head gently, “what are you mumbling?”

“Don’t wanna” Romy pouted.

“Don’t pout at me.” Steve’s voice still gravely from sleep.

“Why not?” Romy’s bottom lip pushed further out.

“You know why.” Steve sighed and pressed a kiss to her forehead “I brought coffee.”

Romy rested her chin on his chest and looked at him through her lashes “Really?”

“Really.” He lifted his hand from her hair and reached over to grab a mug.

Romy followed his movement and smiled, he was the best. Sitting up on her knees she told him so, getting a rare full blown McGarrett smile in return.

“What do you want to do today?”

Sipping her hot coffee carefully Romy pulled a face “Packing.”

“How about this” Steve plucked the cup of coffee out of her hand, pulling her closer, his hands sliding up her sides pushing her sleep top out of the way. “We go for a swim now, then we go for breakfast at that little brunch place you like. I’ll drop you back here for packing and tonight I’ll take you somewhere for dinner.”

“Where are you taking me to dinner?” Romy looped her arms around his neck.

“Surprise.” Steve grinned and let go of her.

“Mean.” Romy pouted again.

“Come on, gorgeous. Put a swimsuit on. We are loosing daylight.” With that Steve pushed her off him and slapped Romy gently on her bum.

“Hey!”

——xx——xx——

They did their usual 30 minutes swim, where Steve covered about double of the distance than Romy. He was already out of the water, when he turned around and saw Romy still floating. The turquoise nail polish of her toes reflecting with the sun. Steve smiled as she caught his gaze and nodded to the beach.

He waded out of the water and looked around, his phone was still on the table, but their towel was missing. He heard Romy approaching behind him, as another voice made itself know.

“Hey sailor.”

Catherine.

Steve did not know what to say, so he just stared. He hadn’t seen her in a year.

“Steve?” Romy’s unsure tone spurred him into action, he turned around and grabbed her hand, pulling her to stand next to him.

“Romy, this is Catherine.”

Almost on autopilot Romy extended her hand “Nice to meet you.” Catherine returned her tight smile and shook her hand.

“Yeah.”

Catherine started to babble, how she knew she should have called, but didn’t know what to say. Steve let go of Romy’s hand for a second and pulled Catherine into a quick hug “Thank you.” Catherine’s voice was a little choked up.

Romy looked at them both and cursed herself for a moment. Of course she meets Catherine the day she went for a swim. Her hair was plastered all over her face and she wished so desperately that she’d brought her cover up so her thighs and belly were no longer on display.

“When did you get in?” Steve grabbed the towel of her.

“This morning. I just came straight from the airport.”

Catherine looked great, her cut off shorts, the long braid, so effortlessly beautiful something that Romy only ever achieved with at least 2 hour prep work and not stepping fresh of a plane.

“I wasn’t gonna miss Kono’s wedding, come on.”

‘Of course she wouldn’t’ Romy couldn’t stop thinking. ‘Don’t be such a bitch.’ She chastised herself.

“It’s good to see you, Cath.”

“You too Steve.”

“I’d love to catch up, but we actually got plans today.”

Romy could see other woman deflating at that, and she honestly didn’t want to be a bitch, but it made her feel better. Then it hit her, Catherine was back and she was leaving, it was better to rip of the bandaid wasn’t it?

“Why don’t the two of you go to brunch?” She could literally feel Steve’s confusion. “I’ve got a lot of packing to do in any case.”

“That sounds...” Catherine looks hopefully between the two, but Steve interrupted her. “Sorry Cath, but we’ve got a day planned.”

“That’s ok.”

Romy did not want to know how much it cost her to bite those words out to Steve.

“Where are you staying?” Steve wrapped the towel around Romy’s shoulders, as he addressed Catherine.

“I...”

She was saved to answer, as Steve’s phone rang “McGarrett.”

Steve sighed, this was not supposed to happen today “Yeah, I’ll be right there.”

He hung up the phone and turned to Romy “I’m sorry. I told them, that I’m not...”

“It’s ok.” Romy smiled and squeezed his hand.

“Catherine, I’ll see you later, yeah. Latest at the wedding tomorrow.”

“See you later.” Catherine tried not to sound disappointed, as she watched Steve and Romy heading into the house together. Steve’s hand securely at Romy’s lower back.

——xx——xx——

“Why would you give up our brunch plans like that?” Steve demanded to know.

“It’s Catherine, Steve.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” He stepped into the bathroom and turned on the shower.

“I mean, I know what she means to you and now that she’s back...I don’t wanna be in the way.” Romy shrugged as she shimmied out of her wet bathing suit.

“You are not in the way.” Steve pulled her into the steaming shower. “You are never in the way.” His tone urgent. “Ok?”

“Ok.”

Romy tilted her head back, letting the shower wash out the salt water, she did not want to think about it.

She startled at the soft touch, Steve’s finger tips gliding up her sides to the swell of her breasts and back down again, over her waist down to her bum. She watched him for a second, trying to decipher what he saw when he looked at her like this.

He stepped closer, cupping her cheek, still with the look in his eyes, leaning in he captured her lips with his. The kiss was not soft like his touch, it was demanding, Romy’s breath caught in the back of her threat and the force of his kiss pushed her against the tiles.

Steve’s tongue delved between her lips, tasting her, dancing with her tongue, fighting for dominance. Her moan swallowed by the kiss, she grasped his hips, pulling his body against hers, all muscle against her softness.

“Romy.” Steve gasped as air became a necessity and he moved his lips down her neck, nipping, for sure leaving a mark or two. Romy’s hands moved up to his shoulders, down his back, finding their way into Steve’s hair as he went down on his knees before her.  The shower now hitting her breasts, making her inhale sharply.

Pressing kisses onto her thighs, he took her right leg and laid it over his shoulder spreading her wide, kissing her knee and then moving closer and closer to were she desperately wanted him to.

“Steve! Oh god!” Romy tried to find some purchase in his hair as he sucked a hickey into her inner thigh. She swear she could feel him grin against her flesh.

“You’re so wet.” His finger lightly trailing through her curls, flicking between her folds.

“All for you.” Romy squirmed, his soft touch not giving her the friction. “You always make me so wet.”

Steve grinned, he loved it when she talked and then he lowered his lips to her flesh. Romy panted, he knew just how to play her, his tongue toying with her clit, never directly touching it, just swirling around it. Her hips moved with his pattern, she needed more. “Steve, please. Fuck.”

One of his fingers slid into her, then another one and another, pumping setting a rhythm.

“I’m close.” She whispered, her heel dug into his back and her nails digging into his shoulder. She could feel her orgasm. “So close.” And then he sucked her clit into her mouth and Romy shattered as her release hit her, “Fuck!”  She clenched around his fingers.

Panting she pulled him up, the two stared in each other’s eyes for a moment, the water coming down on Steve’s back, washing away the bit of blood where Romy’s nails broke his skin.

She took his hand and popped his fingers in her mouth, licking them clean, one after another. Her other hand trailing down to Steve’s dick, pumping him slowly, spreading the pre cum around. Steve groaned “Turn around.”

Letting go of him, Romy turned, hands against the shower tiles, the spray beating down between her shoulder blades.

She could feel Steve’s hands on her back, and not wasting anymore time he buried himself within her. Romy’s head fell forward, leaning down between arms, she could see him thrusting into her. She was still so sensitive. Trying to clench around him, to draw him further in every time he pulled out of her.

Steve’s breath tickled her ear “Does that feel good?”

“Please. Steve. Harder. Faster.” She panted.

Picking up his pace, he slammed into her again and again. He could feel her walls fluttering around him, but he was so close. He needed to come, in her, with her.

“Fuck, Romy. I’m so close.” his fingers finding her clit again, rubbing just above it in tight circles, making her keen.

“That’s it baby. Come for me again.” He growled.

“For you, Steve. Just for you!” Romy could feel the urgency in his thrusts, and right as he changed the angle again, she felt herself snap again, going rigid in his arms as she came for the second time. He could not have hold back now, he pulled her tight as his orgasm rushed through him.

Steve did not let her go, loving the feel of her pliant body against his. He just manoeuvred them under the shower spray, let the water wash away their combined fluids. He kissed her, right below her ear “I never not want to spend time with you.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

“Fuck!” Romy exclaimed when she came out of the bathroom and found Catherine in the bedroom.

“Oh you’re still here.”

“I could say the same to you.” Romy dropped her bottles and creams onto the bed, she grasped a t shirt and put it on, she did not relish the thought of being alone with Catherine, let alone her only being in her underwear.

“So, you and Steve.”

“Yes.”

“For how long?”

“I don’t know, how that’s any of your business?” Romy folded her arms over her chest.

“Steve never mentioned you before.”

“Well, it’s not like you two have spoken after you stayed in Afghanistan.” What was this woman’s problem.

“So about a year then.” Catherine surmised.

“Yes.” Romy nodded and started to open the wardrobe.

“You coming to the wedding?”

“No.” Romy answered, a sad tinge swung in her voice.

“They didnt invite you?” She wasn’t sure if Catherine realised how happy and pitying she managed to sound at the same time.

“Of course Kono invited me, but I need to go back to London.” She let that sit for a moment. “I was here on limited time.”

“Oh.” Catherine couldn’t stop the smile, but she was cut short from saying anything else as her phone rang. Checking the caller ID she answered “Hey Steve.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

They just had hung up with Catherine, when Danny couldn’t hold it in anymore “So how long is she staying?”

“We, uh, didn’t discuss that.”

“Uh-huh. Was her suitcase big or - or was it small?”

“It was medium.”

“Medium. She staying with you or is she staying at a hotel while she’s here?”

“We didnt discuss that either. She is definitely not staying with me tonight. Anything else?”

“Look, I like Catherine very much, okay? But I like Romy too. I like you and Romy. And I’m just not too happy about the way Catherine left things, and now she comes back not so much as a phone call...I think it would be good for you to find out what her plans are, so she doesn’t, uh, you know rip your heart out again, thats all.”

“Well she didnt rip my heart out, Danny. She went to uh, do what she thought was right.”

“Right, she left you for a bunch of strangers.”

“She left to help people in need, but I know that you don’t understand.”

“Hey, hey, I get this. That’s what I do for a living,. But what I want to know is what are you thinking about this. What did Romy say, when your Ex just appeared in front of you this morning?”

“You know what I was thinking...I was thinking...why is she here? It didnt even occur to me that she would come. I hadn’t thought about her in months and then she just stood there, expecting everything to be the same. And Romy...we had this whole day planned, and she suddenly says, No take Catherine to brunch. Like I ever would take anyone else to our brunch place. She was so....”

“Your brunch place? “ Danny interrupted Steve’s tirade.

“That’s all that you got from that?”

After a moment he added, “It was like Catherine expected me to drop everything for her just because she’s here.” Steve shook his head. “And Romy expected the same. I mean...”

“Well babe, don’t get me wrong but that used to be the case in the past.”

Steve was pissed now, he didn’t need Danny to point out the obvious, “Well, why don’t we talk about your relationship. You lied to your girlfriend about Charlie. What about that?”

“Wow, okay, well. I- I suppose, I will talk to her when the time is right.”

“There you go, now that’s what I’ll be doing as well. Talking to Catherine when the time is right.”

“Okay. But when are you going to talk to Romy? You and her are on a bit of a countdown now aren’t you? Can’t really wait until the time is right for that one anymore.”

Steve looked out of the window and sighed, and didn’t he fucking know it.

So that was not what he needed on Romy’s last days in Hawaii. He did not need unaccounted for nukes, a terrorist ring or Catherine to mess up his plans. He just wanted to enjoy the final hours with his girlfriend, before he needed to say goodbye, was that so difficult? Dammit!

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy let out a breath when she heard the door swinging close behind Catherine. She really didn’t want to be petty or jealous, but couldn’t have this woman waited one more day before coming back? It put her on the back foot and she hated that. The way Catherine had hugged Steve, how she just assumed she would stay here, rubbed Romy the wrong way. It made her skin all itchy just thinking about it, distracted she scratched her her arm until her skin was red and irritated. It helped her to feel a little bit calmer.

Taking a sip from her now cold coffee, Romy sat down on the bed and regarded the slight chaos around her. Her suitcase lying open, drawers and wardrobe emptied on the bed. She took her phone and opened her Spotify app, trying to select the right music for her mood. Methodically she started to pack, shoes at the bottom, her clothes, her toiletries,  the little mementos she bought, her life in Hawaii in a suitcase.

Grabbing her notebook she tore out two pages and scribbled a note on each of them. One she placed in the book she had finished reading and left it on the nightstand. The other she folded carefully and swapped it with one of Steve’s jumpers.

 

——xx——xx——

 

“Hey.”

Steve stood in the door way leaning against the jamb watching Romy. The greeting startled her and she looked at her watch, she had been at this for hours.

“Hey!” Romy stood up and went over to him. He didn’t look good, so she stretched on her tip toes and wrapped him in a hug.

“How was your day?” She asked after sinking back down onto her feet, her arms still wound around his neck.

“It was a shit day.”

“I’m sorry, Schnuffi.” Romy squeezed him to her. “You want to talk about it?”

“Not really. I want to take you to dinner.” Steve smoothed an errand lock out of her face, letting his touch linger on her cheek for a moment.

“Ok. Let’s go for dinner.”

Steve took Romy to the neighbourhood pub, nothing fancy, no need for a reservation. Just the two of them in a booth with a beer and a burger. He didn’t want it to be special, taking her out to a swanky restaurant would mean something, it would be final, it wouldn’t be them. They spend many evenings here and if he tried hard enough he could convince himself it was just another evening. They were sharing his fries and Romy was cuddled into his side, while watching the other guests, pointing out first dates, and an almost fight that had Romy snorting her beer.

He told her about his day eventually and she shared her conversation with Catherine.

Later, back at home, they didn’t need words anymore. It was signs, moans and her finger nails dragging down his back. They managed to laugh, as they fell up the stairs in desperation, and managed to hold each other tight as they climaxed. It was trust and discovering new depths, it was them...until the early hours of the morning when they finally succumbed to sleep but still unable to stop holding onto each other.

 

——xx——xx——

 

The next morning, they met everyone for brunch at the hotel. It was a wedding tradition from Romy’s family to meet up for brunch, usually the day after the big day.

It was better than any leaving do she could have. Sitting there with her Hawaiian ohana, sipping mimosas, eating poached eggs and fluffy pancakes did make the looming deadline feel so much further away.

Kono and Adam sat opposite Steve and Romy visibly enjoying the easy atmosphere on their wedding day.

Danny looked at his watch the second time in a row and Romy picked up on it.

“I think I need to grab my stuff.” She stood up.

“I’ll help you.” Steve squeezed her hand and joined her.

“Can I join them, Danno?” Grace looked at her dad expectantly, he could see Nahele’s head popping up as well. “Why don’t we give them a moment.” Danny looked at his daughter and Nahele with a what he hoped was a comforting smile.

 

Standing in the elevator on the way put to her suite, Romy held onto Steve’s hand. “I hate to leave.” She shook her head. “Usually I cant wait to get home at the end of my assignments...but not this time.”

Drawing her in to his chest, Steve didn’t know what to say, he didn’t want her to leave either. The ding of the lift interrupted Romy’s musing. They were silent as they walked down the hallway and into her suite.

“The circumstances suck.” Romy broke the silence between them, adding the final things into her suitcase.

“Everyone leaves.” Steve whispered.

“I...I’m sorry.”

“This wasn’t supposed to get serious.” He couldn’t tell if he reminded her or himself.

“Yeah.” Romy had closed her suitcase gently.

“We both kinda suck at not getting serious.”

“Yeah.” Romy turned around and took him in, his hands shoved in his pants pockets. The beautiful face clouded.

Romy stepped closer to him and Steve readily hugged his arms around her, drawing her to his chest.

“Circumstances are just not in our favour, we knew that.”

Now it was Steve’s turn to sigh “Yeah.” softly.

“And Catherine is back.” Romy whispered, she hated that it bothered her, of course Catherine came back the moment she needed to leave, like passing on the torch, like she was just keeping him warm for her to return.

“I don’t think she’s going to stay.” Steve held her closer.

“Steve, tell her that you want her to stay.” Romy leaned back in their embrace, her hands now framing his face ‘Tell me to stay.’

“It needs to be her choice.” Steve shrugged ‘Needs to be your choice. Please stay.’

“If you say so.” Romy kissed him, it was meant to be a peck, but Steve deepened the kiss almost immediately.

He wanted to imprint her on him, her scent , her taste the way her short hair felt between his fingers. The swell of her hips, the softness of her tights.

This past year would have been miserable without her.

“Ok, you two, knock it off!” Danny came into the bedroom of her suite “someone needs to get to the airport or miss her flight.”

He hefted one suitcase of the bed and pushed it out of the room.

“You ready?”

“No, but it’s time.” Romy pushed her hands though her hair, detangling her locks.

Steve took her second suitcase and took Romy’s hand, together they walked out of the room.

 

The rest of their family waited in the lobby for them. Kono drew Romy in for a hug, saying a tearful goodbye.

“It just sucks that you can’t stay for the wedding this afternoon.” Kono held onto her for a second longer.

“I would have loved to stay, but...”

“Circumstances...” Kono nodded.

“Yes, and board meetings that I need to attend as soon as I’m off that bloody plane.”

“I’m gonna miss you.” Grace wound her arms tightly around Romy’s middle. “I’m going to miss you too, sweet girl.

“Can I text you, Auntie Romy?”

“Of course you can.” With one last squeeze she let Grace go.

“I know you think you’re too cool for hugs, but you won’t escape this one.” Romy gathered Nahele to her. The teenager held on for dear life, he had been pleading with her for the last two weeks, asking her to stay. “Call me anytime you need me ok.”

After saying her goodbyes to the Renee, Lou, Danny and Adam, she finally stepped to the cab waiting for her.

“You sure we can’t drive you to the airport?” Lou asked for the umpteenth time.

“I don’t think I can do aiport goodbyes today, and you’ve got a wedding to get to.” Romy moved towards the cab, that already had her suitcases loaded.

She turned around and almost smacked right into Steve’s chest.

“Call me when you landed.”

“It will be the middle of the night for you.”

“Don’t care.” He mumbled into her hair, “I’ll miss you.”

Romy pushed herself onto her toes and brushed a kiss on his lips, “A hui hou, Steve.”

“A hui hou, Romy.”

Before Steve could react, she had left his embrace and sunk onto the backbench of the car.

“Can we go, Miss?” The taxi driver turned around to her.

“Yeah.”

He put the car into gear and started to peel out of the drive way.

“Hold on just for one second.”

Romy let the car window down: “Steve!”

He came jogging over to the car “Is everything alright?”

Romy leaned out of the window, her hand on his face. She wouldn’t be a coward now!

“Ich liebe dich.” she smiled softly, before leaning back in to the car “Lets go.” she said to the driver.

Notes:

Don’t hate me...have faith!

Chapter 16: Life’s not a RomCom

Summary:

Trying to figure out your life after you let someone go sucks. Ask Romy and Steve.

Notes:

Songs I listened to while writing: Hell Froze Over by Kodaline // I’ll be waiting by Adele
Warnings: Feelings all the feelings
Episode: Season 5 Episode 25 - Season 6 Episode 1 -3

Hello lovelies,
How are you all?
You still with me after last weeks ending? What was Romy thinking, telling him and then jump into a cab. 🤔 Just a heads up, in my little universe Steve does not propose to Catherine, he does not even consider it!
I cannot wait to hear your comments! Shout them, whisper them or morse them over to me.
Enjoy xx

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

——xx——xx——

 

“Ich liebe dich.”

“You are the Best.”

“You want to do something young and stupid?”

“Fuck me. Right here. Right now.”

“You haven’t let down a person in your life.”

“I want to go home. Home with you.”

Romy’s words were on repeat in Steve’s head. When he was driving that bloody street car. When that bomb dropped into the ocean, there was only person he wanted to call, one person’s voice he wanted to hear, and she was on a fucking plane half way around the world.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy felt stiff and achy as she stepped off the plane in London Heathrow Airport. She showered and changed in the public bathroom, and then started to apply her make up. Foregoing her customary heels, she slipped into a pair of ballerina flats instead, after 22 hours and 2 plane changes something had to give. Luckily James was picking her up from the airport, so she didn’t need to worry about a taxi and her 2 suitcases.

——xx——xx——

Sitting in the car she fidgeted with her phone. “You called him already?” James asked from the drivers seat.

Romy shook her head. “It’s like 3 am in Honolulu.”

“Then leave him a voicemail.” James took his eyes of the road for a moment to look at her properly. “Or are you to chicken?”

“I should just text him...he’ll be asleep.”

James started to make chicken noises.

“Shut up.”

“Just because you are 10,000 miles away does not make your feelings go away.” James pulled into their companies car park. Romy opened her mouth to argue, but James stopped her. “Call the poor man, Romy.” And with that he got out of the car.

Romy smiled at her friends attempt to give her some privacy. She dialled and was pushed to voicemail after it rang out.

“Hey Steve, it’s me. Romy. Well here I am, back ho...back in London.” A sob wrenched out of her throat, her head falling into her hand. “Kono send me some pictures of the wedding. You all looked amazing. I think I missed a great party. Anyway, I’m just about to go into the office, before I crash for 12 hours. You know me riding the high after a time zone change.” She swallowed. “I miss you.” She said in a rush before hanging up.

——xx——xx——

Steve had stared at his phone, watching it vibrate along the bedside table and then the ping for a new voicemail. He rubbed his hands harshly over his face, before leaning forward and picking up his phone. He didnt know the international number, opening What’s App confirmed his suspicion: Romy Erhardt has changed her number.

He really needs to call her, but oh god, he didn’t know if he could - if he could hear her voice. He leaned forward, his elbows resting on his knees, he swiped over to his voicemail, closing his eyes he listened to it. How has it only been two days? It feels so much longer than that. He bit his thumb, trying to keep it in. The whispered “I miss you.” Is going to haunt him for a while.

‘Come on McGarrett, you can do this.’

He pressed the call button on her contact. He held his breath as it dialled, and then let it out in relief, as he was directed to voicemail. “Hi Romy, its Steve. Thanks for letting me know you got back safely. I hope everything is alright. Ahem...reason why I am calling, Adam got shot yesterday. Gabriel shot him. He’s doing ok, but...I know you’d want to know. I miss you too.” He hung up quickly. Throwing his phone back on the nightstand he fell back on the bed. His arm reaching out, curling around the pillow on his side, he was exhausted enough that a little squint made him see red wavy hair on the pillow and a hand slipping into his.

——xx——xx——

Romy waited until she got home to listen to Steve’s voicemail, her heart in her throat and tears threatening to come. She needed a couple of minutes to pull herself together before she called Kono, her friend still in the hospital with Adam. Romy felt utterly useless while on the phone with her, she wanted nothing more than to wrap her up in a hug.

——xx——xx——

 

Romy started to feel somewhat settled in after two weeks. She spend the first half plagued by Jetlag and then the other at her parents. She was getting ready for a night out with her girlfriends, when her phone buzzed with a message. She was expecting one from Andrea telling them she was running late as usual, but it was from Renee. Romy checked her watch, she must be getting ready for work. Clicking on it a smile bloom on her face.

The two belles of the wedding! We were just missing you!

Her two friends looked absolutely beautiful.

My two favourite belles 😍😍 your husbands are definitely not hot enough for the both of you.’

Setting her phone to the side she decided on a colour of lipstick, when her gaze fell onto the picture again. Frowning she zoomed in behind the two grinning women and there she saw it. Catherine and Steve sharing what could only be described as a passionate kiss, tongues and all.

Trembling Romy set her phone down. She grasped onto the shelf in front of her, trying to breath.

——xx——xx——

He was such a fucking idiot, sleeping with Catherine didn’t help. Now she was downstairs not making eggs, in his shirt.

Steve heard her phone ring and she answered, in Pashto? He tried to tune it out, not like he’d get anything from listening to that call. His Pashto was getting rusty.

“Steve?” Catherine stood in his bedroom, she had hung up on the phone and still wore his T-shirt. He shouldn’t have slept with her. He didn’t know why he did, maybe he needed the closeness. God he didn’t want to be asshole, but she didn’t belong in his bed any longer.

“Oh, hey. Didn’t realise you were off the phone.” He was still staring at the spare tooth brush in his bathroom. Romy had forgotten some of her stuff and he hadn’t felt like packing it away.

“I thought we could talk? About us?”

“Sure, but I’m not sure what we could talk about?”

“I mean what did last night mean to you? It feels like you weren’t really there with me.”

“Well, are you here with me?” Steve challenged back.

“What do you mean?”

“How long are you staying?”

“I...I...”

“You can’t tell me?”

“Steve come on. You know how it is. We need to feel needed. We live for that phone to ring, asking us to drop everything to help others.”

“Yeah, but that doesn’t mean we don’t get a home base, or are not allowed to share our lives with others.”

“We can still be us. We are still us.”

“No, we’re not.” Steve grunted.

“What do you mean. I still love you and you love me.”

“You know for the longest time I wished, you had come back from Afghanistan with me, so we could build something together. And silly of me there’s still a part of me wishing you were standing next to me. But things changed and now…I don’t think I could love you, even if hell froze over. “

Catherine felt like she was struck. “You don’t mean that. Everyone knows that we belong together.”

“Who’s everyone?” Steve yanked a shirt over his head and moved past Catherine out of the room. He could not have her any longer in his bedroom.

“Everyone, means everyone. Danny, Kono, Joe” She followed him down the stairs “Your mother.” Catherine shrugged as Steve whirled around to face her.

“Kono and Danny” he scoffed, Kono had been giving him the cold shoulder since she saw him kissing Catherine at her wedding and Danny dubbed himself officially Switzerland.

“Joe always knew and your Mom...”

“I don’t care what they think!” Steve interrupted her harshly, how dare she? “Be careful, Catherine. My mother...She doesn’t know me.”

“Steve!”

“You want to talk about us or about her? I reckon you’re in touch with her?”

Catherine didn’t answer, instead grabbing his hand. “She still knows you. I still know you.”

“People change, Cath.” He was tired, so fucking tired, of this conversation, of her, of this whole situation.

“Not us. I can’t believe you want to live here and play happy family with Romy. You’d get bored within months and then you’re back to your old ways. You’d think she’d be happy to never know what you’re doing? Always leaving? Constantly being on call? At least with us you’d always know I’ve got your back and I never judge you.”

Now Steve reales back, how could she know? Of course he was worried about that. It was always great to count on Catherine during a case, in a way that he knew it was unable to with Romy.

“You don’t even know her, so don’t think you can judge our relationship.” He pulled his hand from Catherine’s grasp.

“What relationship? She isn’t here. Even missed Kono’s wedding, what for a friend.”

“Leave her out of this.” Steve growled “This is between you and me.”

Catherine stepped closer to him “I’m sorry, but don’t you see Steve, we be...”

Steve took a deep breath “Ok, can you answer me three questions?”

A couple of moments of silence passed and he took it as the permission to ask.

“Who was that on the phone? How long are you staying? Who are you working for?”

Catherine closed her eyes and shook her head.

“There...I want a relationship, where I can ask these questions and get an honest answer back, not some canned ones the agency gave you to repeat back.”

Catherine’s eyes snapped open.

“Im not stupid, Cath.”

“You know she’ll want a family one day, right?”

Steve didn’t dignify her question with an answer that was between him and Romy.  “After you left, I didn’t even went looking for something. But somehow I stumbled into her... into something real.”

He started moving some trinkets around on his desk, trying to find the right words.

“My relationship with Romy is different from ours. I will not compare the two of them. I still sometimes wish you were here with me” the words felt bitter in his mouth.

Catherine took that as a good sign and came closer. Steve held up his hand, stopping her in her tracks.

“Not here” he gestured to his home “I still wish you’d be with me out in the field.”

“But not in your life.”

Steve shook his head.

Catherine stepped closer and gave him a peck on his lips “Heaven knows, it had to end sometime.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

“Romy?” Her housemate knocked on her room door “Lauren is downstairs waiting for us. You alright?” She came closer her hand rubbing circles on Romy’s back.

“Hey, what’s taking you guys so long?” Lauren burst in the room. A sob broke out of Romy and her two friends rushed over to hold her up as she started to sink onto the floor. The tears wouldn’t stop, somehow the two women managed to get her onto her bed.

“Baby. What happened?” Jenny asked her once more.

“Phone.” Romy managed to sob out before curling back into herself again.

Lauren grabbed the phone before settling back onto the bed with them, entering Romy’s passcode the phone opened on a zoomed in picture.

“Fuck! Is that who I think...”

“Yeah.”

Jenny and Lauren shared a look. “I’m gonna tell the girls to come here.” Jenny moved out of the bed.

Curling up behind Romy, Lauren stroked her hair through another crying spell. After a while she dared to ask “So thats Catherine?”

Romy nodded threw her tears.

“And I assume, that this was on Kono’s wedding.”

Another nod.

“I’m sorry baby.”

“If we aren’t going out, the night out comes to us.” Jenny announced from the door, in her hand a bottle of wine and glasses and behind her Samira and Andrea with more wine and a cheese board.

Smiling through her tears Romy slid up on the bed making space for all her girls.

“So you want to finally tell us what happened?”

“Well, Catherine came back on my second to last day” Romy started to recount her final days with a lot of hiccups and wine refills. “And on my last day, when we said goodbye...I ... I stopped the cab and told him, that I love him and then I drove off.” Romy took a big gulp of wine.

“Let me get this straight you told him the truth and then you just up and left?” Samira raised one eyebrow.

“And now he’s back to kissing his ex girlfriend?” Jenny continued.

“Yeah.”

“Sweetheart.” Andrea squeezed her ankle. “I’m sorry, but what were you thinking was going to happen? That he runs after you? Confess his love to you in a big swooping gesture? Stops the plane or hops onto another one following you?”

Leave it to Andrea to ask the hard questions. Romy shook her head, tears gathering in her eyes again. “I don’t know. I just...I just needed to tell him.”

“Life isn’t a RomCom, Romy.” Andrea sighed empathetically.

They all fell asleep in her bed, holding onto their friend. Lauren watched them sleep before grabbing her phone taking a picture of Romy asleep, tear tracks still visible on her face. She sent it off, with only three words accompanying it ‘She’s miserable.’

She didn’t expect a message back, and jerked when her phone vibrated a moment later with a response.

A picture of Steve sitting at his desk, head in his hands, fingers gripping his hair loaded onto her screen. ‘So is he.’

What are we going to do, Danny?’

 

——xx——xx——

Notes:

Oh gosh Lauren and Danny are conspiring...

Chapter 17: Sitting, Waiting, Wishing

Summary:

Danny knew rage texting wasn’t the best idea, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Notes:

Summary: Danny knew rage texting wasn’t the best idea, but desperate times call for desperate measures.
Songs I listened to while writing: sitting, waiting, wishing by Jack Johnson, Please Mr Postman by Carpenters, Wide Open Spaces by The Chicks, If you’re gone by Matchbox Twenty
Warnings: Steve McGarrett is a sad puppy dog
Episode: Season 6 - Episode 2 & 3

Hello lovelies,
How are you all? Happy Friday!
The first time a chapter title didn’t come from a line in the actual chapter, but rather a song I listened to while writing. Do you actually want to know my writing songs??
Nahele is back for this chapter, he’s one of my favourite characters.
Your comments are my life! I love hearing what you think. Send me your thoughts and rants, I can’t wait to read them.
Enjoy xx

Chapter Text

 

July 2015 

 

Danny knew rage texting wasn’t the best idea, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

D: ‘When are you coming back?’

R: ‘Danny?’

D: ‘Yes of course it’s me. Who else would text you from my phone? When are you coming back?’

R: ‘What?’

D: ‘Steve’s miserable. From what Kono and Lauren tell me you are miserable. So what are you waiting for?’

R: ‘He has Catherine.’

D: ‘She’s no longer in the picture.’

R: ‘What?’

D: ‘Steve told her to leave.’

Danny would give almost everything to see Romy’s face right now. He was about to send a follow up text when a shout came from the computer table. Sighing he pocketed his phone and jogged over to the others.

Danny still felt punchy and his next victim was Steve. He needed to be sneaky, Steve’s mood had been erratic at best for the last few days. Better to come at this sideways, he started with an oldie but goodie - Jerry getting an office.

“It’s just an office, Danny.” Steve said exasperated.

“That’s...”

“It’s just an office!” Steve could not believe they were arguing about this again.

“That’s like your girlfriend saying its just a toothbrush. Next thing you know you are out of closet space, ok, and all your stuff has been moved to the attic including your sports memorabilia and your garage has turned into an arts & craft studio.” Danny crossed his arms before continuing. “But who am I talking to, you loved it when Romy spread out all over your house.

Looking over to his friend, Steve did not want that conversation to go down that road. So he did the only thing he could do and diverted, “How did Rachel ever say yes to you?” Honestly he wanted to know.

“Well...” Danny pulled a face.

“Eh?”

“Ok. This is all that I am saying. If you encourage Jerry he is going to expect something. What? A Badge.”

“He is not getting a badge.” Steve repeated himself for the umpteenth time. “He is just getting an office.”

“Well, an office creates an expectation for a badge.”

“Well, then he’s going to be disappointed.” Steve said, hoping to end this conversation.

“Yeah, he’ll be disappointed for about 5 minutes until he pouts and you cave cause you are spineless and you give him a badge. You could never resist a pout.”

“Are you comparing Jerry pouting at me, with Romy pouting?, Steve’s voice got really high there for a moment, before adding, “Not gonna cave.”

“Really speaking of caving. What happened? Have you bailed on calling Romy again? It’s been over a month, man.”

“No, I have not bailed.” Steve frowned. “I’ve been planning the OP.”

“The OP?” Danny wanted to facepalm.

“Yeah!”

“I secured what I want to say. I reconned when she’ll be free and now I just have to execute.”

“Wow.” He could not believe it, did Steve really just say that? “I mean it sounds so romantic. The way you say it. You know” the sarcasm flowing freely. “I can see it now, you on the phone with Romy. Telling her in military speech how you feel about her. How you say to her ‘Babe, I want you to join my unit for a life long mission.’ I mean its every girls fairy tale.” He grinned at his buddy.

“You wanna hear a secret.”

Danny nodded “Hmh.”

“You do? Sometimes when you speak when your mouth opens and you speak all I hear is wa wa wa wa. It’s like I’m in a Charlie Brown cartoon only you are Linus with better hair.”

“Why do I got to be Linus?”

“That’s your take? Really that’s your take away from that.”

“Oh oh.” Danny fidgeted in his seat.

“What?”

“2 o’clock coming out of the local strip joint.”

“Got him!” Steve turned on the siren and stepped on the gas.

“This conversation is not over.” Danny said before concentrating back on the car.

“Whatever.” Steve accelerated more and skated the Camaro so it parked in front of the delivery guy.

 


 

Steve was so tired, conversation with Danny still heavy on his mind, and the whole shit show with Sinclair. Sitting down heavily on her side of the bed, for the first time in two months. Steve picked up the book she’d left for him. Thumbing through the pages a piece of paper fell out of it.

‘Yes, I know another romance novel.’ He grinned at her writing, could hear her teasing tone as as she defended her choice. ‘Give it a go. You can moan at me once you finished it. Be prepared for an argument though, its one of my favourites. R xx’

He looked at the note for a moment, before folding it up and returning it into the book. Not tonight, maybe tomorrow.

Romy was everywhere. Maybe it was because he hadn’t filled her empty drawers, or hadn’t moved away her pillow spray or thousands of markers from his desk. Maybe those things didn’t matter. The imprint she left on his life was not tangible. Her presence in the house was not something that he could ever pack away or fill with something else. It was the small stuff like shared dinners, her hand in is, and the big things - how she knew when he needed a hug or a breathless quickie to get him out of his head. The books, the baked goods and the peace she brought to his life. He wanted her back, they’d do it properly this time. Who were they kidding in any case? They might have started out as casual fun, but as soon the team brought him home from Wo Fat, things had changed. He opened up to her spilling all the dirty secrets. She didn’t judge - she listened.

He didn’t blame her for going back, they both knew that they were on borrowed time. In the beginning that was alright for him, it actually was one of the things that attracted him to her. How serious could it get with a woman that was due to move back to the other side of the world? It didn’t matter. They fell in love anyways.  He hated this, why didn’t he say anything, why didn’t he tell her ‘I don’t love Catherine anymore, I love you’.

Her leaving had driven home what had been niggling in the back of his mind for so long. He needed her. Nothing has scared him so much than that. He was still breathing, still functioning without her, but he hardly moved. He needed her in his life, he needed her to come home. He had not spoken to her since he responded to her first voicemail. The moment he’d hear her pick up, the first words out of his mouth would be “Come back.” What did he had to offer her? She would need to quit her job, a job that she loved, that she worked so hard for. She’d never ask him to do that. What right did he have to ask that of her?

All this wishing and waiting was not getting him anywhere. He just wanted to hear her voice, putting the thoughts in his mind to rest. He dialled - Voicemail again. Maybe this was for the best.

‘It’s Steve. We haven’t talked in awhile. I know it’s my fault, I should have called before.’ His hands picking at the bed spread. ‘Adam is home now, I’m sure Kono told you that already. It seems like Gabriel is still messing with them.’ He cleared his throat. ‘Catherine is gone. Well not gone gone, she’s still helping out at work, but she’s no longer in my house. She doesn’t belong here anymore. I saw the book that you left me. I start tomorrow. Today has been weird...’ he rubbed his hand over his face. ‘Anyway I just wanted to say hi. Have great day at work.’

——xx——xx——

Waking up, Romy listened to his voicemail while still laying in bed. The phone pressed tightly to her ear as she listen to him ramble. The part about Catherine made her heart skip a beat. Danny did tell her, but hearing Steve say it made it much more real.  Going through her morning routine she listened to the massage twice more, she missed his voice. On her way to the tube station heading to work she decided not to call him, but rather send him a voice message. He always woke up when his phone rang, she didnt want to think it was work calling in the middle of the night.

‘Hey Steve, it was good to hear your voice. No apologising, we never promised each other anything. Kono’s messaged me about Adam being released from the hospital. It sounds like an uphill battle with Physiotherapie is ahead. Why was your day weird? Difficult case? Don’t knock the book before you read it, give it a chance will you? I spend a weekend with my family in Germany, but I’m sure I’ll be heading back there soon. My sister in law is ready to pop. Imagine me Auntie Romy once more. Speaking off, have you had time to spend with Nahele? He didn’t sound like himself, when I FaceTimed him the other day. Talk to you soon? Stay safe, Commander.’

——xx——xx——

Steve listened to it as soon as he woke up. He hated that she phrased ‘Talk to you soon’ as a question.

‘Hey Romy. Where you walking to work when you recorded your message? I’m about to go for a run and swim. Do you have somewhere to go for swimming? Thanks for the heads up with Nahele. I messaged him this morning, inviting him for dinner. I’ll let you know how that goes ok? Anything you want me to tell him from you? Yeah the last case was difficult. Do you remember Sinclair? He had a copy cat and it all turned to shit. Long story short, the copy cat died and Sinclair is back in prison. How was your day?’

——xx——xx——

‘Yes, I was walking to the tube. Sorry was there too much background noise? My day was alright, lots of paperwork to do at the moment. Right now its 6pm and I’m sitting on my minuscular patio, we don’t have lanai’s in London, drinking a Gin & Tonic. Thank you for having dinner with Nahele. Just give him a big hug and tell him I miss him. Oh and Steve, cook something comforting not just pan fried chicken breast. Hold on I’m getting another call. I’ll be back in a moment.’

Frowning Steve looked at his phone, no follow up message. Maybe Romy got distracted. He wouldn’t worry, it was now the middle of the night in London. He would not worry.

——xx——xx——

He opened his front door in the evening and a sourly looking Nahele waltzed in. “Hello to you too.” Steve  threw him a confused look over his shoulder, before following the teenager to the patio doors “Are you alright?”

Nahele shrugged and shook his head softly. “Come on, buddy. What it is?”, Steve bumped their shoulders.

“Nothing.” He mumbled.

“Nahele. What’s going on?”

Steve watched how Nahele’s face darkened, mouth pursed and shoulders hunched, he looked like the poster boy of teenage angst. Romy was right, something was really not ok with him. He heaved a big sigh and turned to face the teenager. “Listen you got to help me out here. For all I care you can stew in what’s bothering and we have dinner in silence, but then you need to help me come up with a good excuse for Romy.” Seeing Nahele jerk one shoulder Steve pressed on. “She noticed something wasn’t right with you when you guys FaceTimed the other day. She worries.” He watched the teenagers lip quivering for a second before Nahele bit down on it.

“You just let her go.”

“What?” Steve leaned forward, not really understanding.

“I said” Nahele pushed right into Steve’s space “You just let her go. You just let her leave.” His voice becoming louder and angrier. “Why didn’t you stop her? Was she not good enough? Not pretty enough? I thought you loved her?”

Steve’s jaw locked “Hold on!” He ground out, but Nahele was lost in his rant.

“Stop it!” Steve was furious now. “Shut up and listen to me!”

Nahele froze, Steve had never raised his voice to him.

“I didn’t just let her go, we always knew that her time here was limited. That was never a secret. Does it suck, hell yes!” Steve started pacing, stopping every few steps to pin the teenager with a glare. “I couldn’t have stopped her. Her Visa had run out and her job was finished, what would she have done here without either of them. Come on buddy, you know Romy better than that. She loves her job. I couldn’t have asked her to give it up without a backup plan. That wouldn’t have been fair to her, she worked hard to get where she is and I would never let her sacrifice it.” Steve saw how Nahele’s eyes became watery and all the anger left him, like air out of a pierced blow up pool float. He pulled Nahele into a hug. “I get that you miss her, buddy. I miss her too.” Steve pushed Nahele away a little bit, a firm grip on his shoulder. “To make something clear, Romy isn’t pretty she is beautiful, we will never be good enough for her and I do love her. And if you ever insinuate the opposite again, I will deck you.” Nahele threw himself back into Steve’s arms. “Understood?”

“Understood.” Nahele nodded.

Steve pulled out of the hug and gave him a moment to wipe away the tears he pretended not to see on Nahele’s face. Slinging his arm around his shoulder “Come on, lets eat. Romy specifically instructed me not to make chicken breasts, so I settled for burgers, sounds good?”

“Yeah. Maybe after dinner we can call her?” Steve hated how small Nahele’s voice sounded.

“We can try. I haven’t heard back from her since this morning.”

——xx——xx——

“You know maybe you should buy her something.” Nahele said around a big bite of burger.

“What do you mean?”

“You know a token of your love.”

“A token of my love?” Steve raised his eyebrow.

“Yeah, haven’t you ever read a romance novel before or watched a RomCom?”

“Alright Mr Romance.” Steve leaned back, taking a sip of his beer “What do you have in mind.”

“What about a ring?” Nahele tried to sound casual but failed miserably.

“Hold your horses there, Romeo.”

“Ok, ok. Any other kind of jewellery then. Something meaningful though.”

“You thought about this a lot haven’t you?”

Nahele grinned “Well you have no game at all, Steve. Someone had to.”

Steve snorted at that, the kid better never repeated that in front of Danny.

“I think she didn’t stay because we never told her that she could.”

“Nahele.” Steve sighed.

“I’m not saying we demand her to come home. We could just ask.” He shrugged again.

“I’ll think about it ok.”

“Ok.” Nahele rolled his eyes at Steve’s indecisiveness.

——xx——xx——

They tried video calling her twice, but no answer. Steve would not voice it in front of Nahele, but it had him worried. If she hasn’t been in touch by tomorrow, he’d start tracing her phone.

——xx——xx——

He woke up with a start, grabbing the offending phone. With bleary eyes he read the notification: Instagram - RomyTravels was tagged in a picture. He turned on his bedside lamp, opening the app.

Sitting in a hospital chair, Romy looked down at a bundle of blankets in her arms. Her smile tired and she was dressed in scrubs a size or two too big h for her.

>> Go on the Business trip, she said, it will be fine she said. We did not expect a 10 hour delay and @K_Erhardt to go into labour early. My sister made it from London in the nick of time, being the support my wife needed when I couldn’t be there. My son definitely inherited his aunts love for dramatic entrances. Say hello to the world Henri Paul Erhardt <<

 


 

Lars had tumbled into the hospital once everything was over. Romy had sat with his son in an armchair, while Kristin was getting stitched up and settled. She called her parents and Paul to deliver the happy news and to give the new family a couple of moments for themselves. She would just closed her eyes for a second. That second turned into much longer and Romy startled awake with no feeling of what time it was. She was still bone tired and now had a crink in her neck from sleeping in the most uncomfortable hospital chair.  Pulling out her phone she saw the Instagram post her brother made, smiling she commented on it >>Welcome to the family, Henri. The godmother title better be mine @K_Erhardt @PolarBear1984 😍💚 <<

Romy pulled her knees up, wrapping her arms around them she swiped over to What’s App

‘Hey Schnuffi, sorry for just dropping off. I hope you didn’t trace my phone or anything else similarly crazy. I had a good reason though. My Sister in Law Kristin had my nephew last night this morning...fuck I’ve got no clue what time it is right now. I need a coffee so badly. She called me while i was talking to you, telling me she had contractions and no one was at home. The silly woman had send my brother on a business trip, who does that 8 months pregnant? My parents and Paul are both on holiday this week, cause they wanted to be back before the baby came. But not with this kid, impatient like his dad. Sorry.’ She yawned into the recording. ‘So tag I’m it - I rushed to the airport jumping on the next available plane. Coached my dear sister in law through 10. hours of labour, 4 of those active until little Henri made its debut at 11 am this morning. Never felt this helpless in my life. He’s absolutely amazing, so be prepared for a lot of baby pictures soon.’ Romy let her forehead sink to her knees. ‘‘It’s been a night and day. How was dinner with Nahele? Did he say what was bothering him? What did you make for dinner. I hope for your sake it wasn’t chicken.’ Another yawn. ‘ I guess I better go to bed, before I fall asleep in this hospital chair again. Love you.’

 

——xx——xx——

 

Love you? Did she really say it? Steve replayed the message again and again, her voice tired and elated at the same time and then those two words. So naturally at the end of the message. She had said it before, but that was while saying goodbye, it didnt count. This...this felt way more real.

Nahele was right he needed to tell her that he loved her and wanted here.

‘Congratulations Auntie Romy. I saw the picture on Instagram. The best excuse for not getting back to me, but don’t think this will fly every time. Nah, you had a couple more hours before I would have considered tracing your phone. I’m looking forward to all the Auntie / Nephew content. You will be pleased to hear that I didn’t serve chicken, but burgers.’ Steve’s head fell back, how should he phrase the next bit. ‘Nahele had girl troubles, that’s all. I hope I was able to give him some advise.’ Not a lie per se, just an omission of the full truth. ‘He misses you. We all do. Get some sleep, gorgeous. You sounded so tired...Sweet dreams.’

Ugh, Steve banged his head against his desk. Sweet dreams, really? Why not send her a pink stuffed bear with it. You really have no game, McGarrett.

 


 

The screen went blurry for a moment as someone tried to delibarte Grace’s phone out of her. “Danno! I’m FaceTiming with Romy.”

“Yes, I see that, Grace. And I need to talk to Romy too, and as I pay the phone bill in this house. I win.”

Danny’s face appeared on Romy’s screen.

“Hi Danny.” Romy grinned.

“I need to ask you a question.”

“Sure?”

“Lauren told me that Steve should have just asked you to stay and you would.”

“You know that wasn’t a question, right?”

“Don’t try to be cute with me. You would have stayed if he’d asked. Yes or no?”

“Yes.” Romy pressed out.

“We both know he’d never do that. Would have wanted you to make that decision.”

“What? How would I know that he..”

“Ok you both are idiots hence why I’m calling you.”

“Danny...”

“No you listen to me. He misses you. He’s like this sad golden retriever puppy. Come back. Make him happy. Be happy yourself.”

Romy did not know what to say...she just kept staring at Danny in the video call, as her own phone got wrestled out of her hand.

“I’ll get her there as soon as possible. She’s miserable too.” Lauren proclaimed.

“Lauren!” Romy tried to liberate her phone.

“She’s coming home.” Her friend announced.

“Romy?” Danny couldn’t believe it, was it really that easy?

“You sure?”

“Hey, if it’d be possible I’d put him on a plane yesterday, but he’d say all the wrong things. Messing everything up. I want him happy. You make him happy.”

A smile tugged at the corners of Romy’s mouth “You two are the worst meddlers ever.”

“Yeah, Yeah.” Lauren made a yapping motion with her hands.

“We want you both happy, sue us.” Danny added.

“Can you please put Grace back on the phone?” Romy asked exasperated.

 


 

A week later Romy knocked on the door of her boss, “Thank you for agreeing to see me.”

——xx——xx——

Steve had poured over enough jewellers websites and still could not find the right thing, in the end he bit the bullet and went to an actual store, Danny in tow.

He knew he’d regret that as soon as his friend vetoed all the options he liked “Who are we shopping for Steve? Your sister or your girlfriend? and he disregarded everything Danny choose “Are you crazy? I want her to actually wear this thing!”

The poor woman behind the counter took pity on them, “We actually design pieces in house, if you’d like something bespoke?”

 


 

They were on their way to Rock Piles Surfbreak, not that Danny could tell. They were only surrounded by water. Where were street signs when you need them?

“We lost?” He asked leaning back against the boat rail.

“No, we are not lost. What?” Steve turned over to him.

“Because you got a look on your face, like you don’t know where the hell we we are going.” Danny gestured with his hands.

“Romy, man.” Steve exhaled.

“What happened?”

“She hasn’t left me a voicemessage in three days.” He sounded vexed.

“And you think that means what? That she’s no longer interested?” Danny furrowed his eyebrows, he knew better.

“Yeah. I do.”

“Did she gave any indication that that could be true?” He really tried to sound supportive, but man his partner was an idiot.

“No...I don’t know...I mean...” Steve shrugged, looking out over the ocean.

“Did you leave her a message?”

“No.” Now he managed to sound like a toddler.

“Of course you didnt!” Danny exclaimed. “You gotta ask her about it, Steve. First things first! You’ve got to talk to her and see what’s going on.”

“And say what? Hey you haven’t talked to me in a couple of days. You sure you still love me? Cause I bought you a bracelet.”

“You don’t got to worry about that. You just need to talk to her. And I mean really talk not just leaving message for each other.” Danny ranted, his hands gesticulating wildly.

“But still, if she thinking about no longer...she must have her reasons.”

“But thats a reason that you need to find out if thats really the case. Cause you did just buy her a ‘one of a kind’ bracelet.”

“Well I’m not giving her that anymore. If she has moved on already, am I an idiot?”

Danny was tempted so tempted to just say - yes you are an idiot! But he held back, instead he tried to reason with Steve “Why is the glass always half empty with you. What do you know what’s really going on in London? Maybe she got busy at work. Maybe something is up with her nephew. And what? You are just going to throw everything away behind a misunderstanding over messages? That’s insane.”

“Ah you make a good point. I guess...” Steve conceded.

“Of course I make a good point, cause I am not the type of person who freaks out at the first sign of uncert...” Danny was pumped up now.

“No, no you are not.”

Steve sarcastic response brought him back down. “Maybe I am that type of person. That’s not the point. The point is this, figure out what’s going, book a flight to London, put that bracelet on her and fucking finally tell her you love her.”

“Nahele is picking it up today.” Steve smiled.

“That’s good. Do not abort the mission. Do you understand me.”

“Yes sir.” Steve let out a breath. “Here we are buddy. Rock Pile, this where Ben Lahineha’s wife said he went diving.” He stopped the boat and moved to the front, where he left his diving gear.

“Why is it called rock pile, i don’t see any piles, I don’t see any rocks. Who names the surf breaks in anyway?  We are in the middle of the ocean, I don’t see any signs.” Steve ignored Danny’s rant about signs and naming places and suited up. He sat on the boats railing and turned to Danny. “I tell you what. Why don’t you contemplate that for a second, Ill be right back.”, with that he dropped in the water.

——xx——xx——

Nahele stepped into Steves office, dressed in board shorts and flip flops.

“You really making the most of your summer break, don’t you?” Steve grinned as he leaned against his desk.

“Yeah, have a shift at the shrimp truck later, but I might catch a wave or two beforehand.” The boy grinned and handed Steve a little paper bag. “Here you go. They made me sign the receipt in the bag too, for insurance purposes or whatever.”

Steve whistled, as he opened the jewellery box. “Look at that. Nahele, I really appreciate you picking this up for me today, all right.”

“'A 'ole pilikia. I mean it don’t seem right to spend that much money on a piece of metal and an allotrope of carbon.”

“An an allotrope of carbon?” Steve raised an eyebrow. “I’m glad you haven’t been ditching your science classes.”

“I mean, when I said buy her something nice. I didn’t mean, spend the down payment of a new truck.” Nahele shuffled his feet.

“That’s true. But you also said to show her what she means to me. Romy is worth it, don’t you think.”

“Now you just have to figure out how to give it to her. Don’t think you should trust the post with that.”

“Yeah, I don’t think putting it in the post would have the desired impact. You were all Romeo the other night, any ideas?” Steve grinned at the obvious discomfort on Nahele’s face.

“Before you go all mush on me, I’m gonna get out of here. Waves to catch.”

“You know what I’m talking about one day, buddy.” Steve shook Nahele’s hand in a bro handshake before pulling him into a hug.

Their moment was interrupted by Lou opening his office door. Nahele took that as his cue to make a speedy exit, ducking under Lou’s arm to leave. “Later Steve.”

“So we’ve got....” Lou started, before he noticed that Steve pushed something small underneath his arm. “What was that you put under your arm there?”

“What are you talking about?” Steve played dumb.

“Is that the thing?” Lou grinned, glee written all over his face.

“Is this the thing?” Steve held out the box. “It’s a thing.”

“Will you let me see it?”

“Yeah sure you can see it.” Steve handed it over.

“Alright.” Lou opened the box. A filigran Roségold bracelet lay in the box, a small charm in form of a star dangled of it, in the middle a diamond. “Look at that. Romy is going to love this. To bad you’re gonna wait to figure out a way to get it to her.”

“What are you talking about?”

“I just got off with the crime lab. Eric managed to get a serial number of the murder weapon. The gun is registered to Eddie Brooks.”

 


 

She was crazy, she was officially crazy. She had never done anything this impulsive ever before. Here she sat in her brother’s living room staring down her family.

“It’s for that boy isn’t it?” Her mum asked her.

“Well I wouldn’t call an ex navy seal a boy, but yes it’s part for the boy.” Romy rolled her eyes.

“Have you thought this through further than the first 5 days of ‘Great to see you again’ Sex?”

“Mum!” “Rita!” Her brothers and Dad shrieked at the same time.

“What? It’s a fair enough question. What about your job? Visa? Your house in London? Where are you going to live in Hawaii in any case?”

Her mother was pacing up and down the living room, her wine glass sloshing while she gesticulates wildly.

Romy sat up on her knees leaning over the back of the sofa, watching her mum.

“I don’t know....”

“You don’t know!” Her mum almost exploded and her dad reached over to liberate the wine glass. “Don’t you dare!” Her mother held onto the glass and her dad stepped back carefully.

“Work is going to sponsor me, for that I needed to take a pay cut.”

“Romy!” Paul now piped up.

“Once I’ve got my green card my salary will go back up again.” She tried to placate him, but he still looked worried.

“I’ll be able to fund the move and continue to pay my share of the rent in London with my savings. It will clear me out, but I can swing it.”

“And your Navy Seal?” Her dad sat down next to her, and she cuddled close to him. She had always been Daddy’s girl and being a grown up had not stopped that.

“He doesn’t know.”

“Ok! That’s it” Her mum sat down on the other side of Dad in a huff. “How can you give up your life like this? Without knowing that he will be there at the end.”

Henri started to wail in his carrier, Romy stood up and freed him out of it. She cuddled her nephew close, inhaling his sweet scent.

“Because...” Romy closed her eyes, her forehead touching Henri’s.  She willed the tears back that were threatening to come. “I haven’t scratched myself bloody in over a year.” She saw how her dad squeezed her mum’s hand at that. She had started scratching herself as a kid, as a coping when something happened that she couldn’t control. It had stopped as she grew older and started up again after her assault. “He settles me, makes me feel whole.” She shifted Henri to one arm, pushing her glasses up her nose. “Because, I want this.” She gestured to her parents, hands intertwined even after 36 years of marriage. Then over to Kristin and Lars, his foot hooked around Kristin’s ankle and then Paul, alone but not quite, his boyfriend at work tonight. You have it. And just because mine is waiting for me somewhere else doesn’t mean I shouldn’t give it up.” Romy shrugged “He makes it easier to be me.”

 

——xx——xx——

Chapter 18: Easier to be me

Summary:

This is it - or is it?

Notes:

Songs I listened to while writing: Homeward bound by Simon & Garfunkel // February Seven by The Avett Brothers
Warnings: Smut - over 18 year olds only please
Episode: Season 6 - Episode 4

Hello lovelies,
How are you all?
Can you believe we are finally at this point? Thank you so much for sticking with me through the last three chapters.
@Alohagirl50 kinda guessed what was going to happen in her review, but I liked it so much i kept it that way.
The title for this chapter is stolen from one of the very first English FanFics I read way back in 2008. Oh gosh, how old am I? It’s no longer up unfortunately, but it was a Harry Potter x Ginny Weasley fiction by the amazing author hgfan1111 . The words stayed with me all this time and it felt right to use them for this chapter.
Cannot wait to hear from you!
Enjoy xx

Chapter Text

August 2015

 

Steve and Lou got out of the formers truck parked right in front of the hospital. “Matter of fact I’ll be real glad when Williams gets back on his feet again, so I can drive my own damn truck.” Lou grumbled at Steve.

“Yeah, I’m sure he’ll appreciate the sentiment and the eggplant parmigiana.” Steve grinned at his friend.

“Ah well, guy goes under the knife to save his little boy, the least I can do is making sure he gets a decent meal.” Lou lifted the plastic bag on his hand up a little, “Speaking of which, you got any plans tonight?”

Steve squinted at Lou, that didn’t go where he expected it “That’s a weird segway. No I don’t.”

“Well good.” Lou smiled happily. “Renee is taking the kids to the movies, so if I figured you and me can go to RumFire have some beers have some Pu Pu’s.”

“Ok stop, stop, stop, stop.” Steve interrupted. “I know what you are trying to do. You don’t have to do that. Ok?”

“Do what? What are you..” Lou spluttered.

“You don’t have to babysit me, Lou.” Steve was irritated now, did nobody think he could be on his own for a while. “Romy is in London. It sucks. But I’m working on a plan to sort this all out, A. And B, I’m gonna be fine.”

Lou draped his arm around Steve, slapping him on his shoulder in the process.

“Brother” He pulled him closer. “There is only one way to figure out a plan and that involves you, me and that bar.”

“You gonna help me get back on the horse?”

“No!” Lou shrieked, just thinking what Renee would do to him should Steve even look at another woman on his watch. “I just thought we get over there and get good and drunk and then come up with something.”

The telltale sound of Steve’s phone had Steve digging his pockets for his cell. He looked at Lou while trying to locate his phone. “What...What did you have in mind?Hold on. McGarrett.”

Steve turned back to the car. “We are on our way.”

“No we are not” Lou stopped him.

“I’m on the way. I’ve got this.” He handed over the plastic bag to Steve. “Go make sure our boy is ok.”

“You sure?” Steve looked at the container now in his hand.

“Yeah, I’m sure. Just don’t go hogging all the credit for the eggplant Parma. Would you?”

“Guess what? You get to drive your own truck after all.” Steve had Lou’s car keys dangling from his finger. “Congratulations.” He slapped Lous shoulder and walked towards the hospital.

Lou grinned and shook his head “Lucky day!” He said sarcastically.

——xx——xx——

“Well, Jordan you are a man of many varied interests.” Gerard Hirsch was finishing up his latest caricature.

“Guess what buddy? This one is on the house today.” Steve plugged the picture of the board and handed it to the teenager. “You like that? Thanks for visiting our island.”

“Officer Kalakaua, I see you’re displaying your badge today.” Gerard tried to mask his confusion.

“Ah yeah, you know when your PO said you be here. We expected to find you sipping drinks at the pool, not this.” gesturing to his easel Kono wondered out loud.

“What can I say. Times are tough. The particulars of my parole, forbid me for participating in any art transactions.”

Steve shook his head, and what was this? He turned to point out the board behind him.

“Isn’t this technically an art transaction?” Kono asked at the same time.

“Really. You gonna write me up for selling caricatures for 30 bucks a pop.”

What the fuck! Steve could not believe it. “30 Dollars. I should. Right now. No, we got you on something much bigger. Let’s go.” He dragged Gerard on his arm out to his car. After a silly forth and back, about not knowing Crane - who was Hirsch kidding in any case? He finally came clean, he bought the painting from Crane, with the fake money he got from Moseley. A forger not realising he was paid in monopoly money - the irony was not lost on both Kono and Steve.

“My dear spotting a phoney Van Gogh is one thing, spotting a phoney Benjamin is a different skill set.” Gerard said indignantly when Kono pointed it out. “And he needed the cash. For others that was a deal breaker, but…” Steve phone rung and he stepped away for a second.

Kono pushed her hair behind her ear, she was interrupted from her next question, by Gerard pointing at her wedding band.

“I see ...someone put a ring on it.”

“Yeah beat you to it.” She pulled a face, dreading the next comment already.

“Unlucky you.” And there it was! Hirsch was lucky that Steve decided to join them in just the nick of time, before she hit him.

“What about you Commander?” Gerard turned to him.

Steve frowned, especially as Kono didn’t even bother to hide her smirk. “What about me?”

“That lovely German with the British accent, is she available again or have you sealed the deal.” Gerard asked with a grin.

Looking entirely unimpressed, Steve said “Shut up or I will seal your mouth shut.”

“Uh...have I hit a sore spot, commander?” Gerard tried to bump his shoulder.

“Let’s go.” Steve moved him forward.

“If she is available, please do give her my number. She was just delightful.” Steve did not bother to be careful, as he put Hirsch in the back of his car.

——xx——xx——

“Hey babe. Didn’t think I’d hear from you tonight. Thought you were with Lou at RumFire getting drunk.” Danny teased over the phone.

“Yeah, I’m just finishing some stuff up in the office.” Steve moved the mouse over his laptop screen.

“I thought you closed that case?”

“Yeah, we did.”

“What are you still doing there? Paperwork?” Danny scoffed.

“Just looking at some sites.”

“Please for my sanity, tell me that these are websites to book a flight.”

Silence on the line.

“Steve!”

“Geez. Yes, Daniel. I’m looking at flights.”

“Fucking Finally!”

Steve groaned.

“So when’s the next one.”

“There is a decent one in two weeks.”

“Two weeks?”

“Yeah, you’ll be back in the office and...”

“Steve, babe. Please. Don’t you think you have waited long enough.”

“It’s just two weeks and its a really good deal.”

“Steven!”

“What?”

“Stop being stingy. You are trying to make a grand romantic gesture.”

“What? Do you know how much these flights are?” His voice got really high at the figures he saw.

“Again....grand romantic gesture. Get that wallet out.”

“There is one that leaves tonight.”

“Book it now!”

 


 

Steve settled down in his Business Class seat not two hours later, carefully storing the lei he bought for Romy. The ticket had been eye watering. He’d just close his eyes, when his credit card bill came next month. Checking his phone for the final time, a notification made him sit up straight. The time stamp didn’t make sense. He should have received this 6 hours ago.

‘Hi Steve, it’s me. So I did something...I don’t know if it’s stupid or not, but anyway I did it. I’m on my to Hawaii.’ Steve stood up abruptly, why oh why did he listen to Danny. He is never going to listen to Danny ever again.  ‘I decided that distance is the most stupidest reason why we aren’t together...I should have said it when I was still in Hawaii, but coming back to Europe helped me decide. It grounded me somehow. Gave me the perspective I needed to see..to really see what I’m giving up. It’s silly, but I feel, that our road shouldn’t have an end like this.’ Steve grabbed his bag from the overhead storage and made his way to the plane door.

“Sir. Is everything ok? You can’t get off. The plane is about to taxi, we are finishing up boarding.” The flight attendant tried to stop him. He clamped his phone between his ear and shoulder, brandishing his badge. “I’m a police officer. I need to get off this plane.”

“Sir, we are closing the doors now.”

“I’m the commander of the Five 0 task force here in Hawaii and I’m telling you to let me off this plane now.” He almost shoved her out of his way on his race to get to the door. Phone still sitting precariously on his shoulder, his badge clearing the way for him nicely.

He burst through the gate doors, earning himself curious stares of the staff and fellow passengers alike. Leaning against the glass window panes, he pressed play on Romy’s message again. ‘Oh gosh doesn’t this sound fuckingly cheesy. But we..I owe it to us, to be cheesy just for once in our lives.’ He could hear her giggle in exasperation with herself. ‘So here it goes: I love you, Steve McGarrett. You are the love of my life. I fell in love with you, and I couldn’t even tell you when it was. Which point in the last year it was that this love began. It’s  so deeply rooted in me, I can’t imagine myself without it. You and I together, in your house, at the beach, with our friends, in bed...I’m rambling see what you do to me? Trying to get this all out, because you need to know, you need to know before I get on this plane. I know this all a bit out of nowhere, there is no pressure from my side. I’m coming home to Hawaii even if you decide that we have no future, that you don’t love me... That this was just what we set out in the beginning, some fun and no commitments. I just keep thinking about the possibilities and...’ an announcement on her side stopped her for a moment. ‘Anyway, I need to board now. I call you once I landed and am no longer a Jetlag ghost, ok?’ He put the phone away when he realised the message wasn’t over yet. ‘Steve, just because I’m ready to begin doesn’t mean you are. I’ll see you soon.’

He slid down to the floor. She was on her way back. She loved him. She wanted him. She was coming home. Tears were gathering in his eyes and he knew he was sporting a silly smile, he tried to hide it behind his hand. But he couldn’t stop it. He listened to the message again and again, before he finally made out the garbled announcement. Six hours ago her flight was pushing final boarding to Honolulu. That means she was here. She was here already? He pushed off from the floor and stalked over to the arrivals board.

LA?

LA?

LA?

There it was! Landed. Shit, shit, shit. He could not miss her.

——xx——xx——

Romy was clearing through immigration, the customs agent was scanning her passport, confirming her permanent work visa, a stamp “Welcome to Hawaii.”

Romy smiled, she was home. She pushed her way through the throngs of people at the luggage belts, Spying the first of her 4 suitcases, she readied herself to haul it off the belt.

——xx——xx——

Steve had debated off going to the gate, but dismissed the thought, what if she was off the plane already? He raced through the airport, his badge allowing him once more to skip the line at customs.

Craning his neck he discounted several people, before he finally spotted her. Her hair was in a messy knot, the short tendrils falling out after the long flight. She was in black yoga pants, a grey t-shirt with some sort of logo on it and a black cardigan. The only thing that screamed Hawaii about it, were her feet, already in flip flops. The ache, that had been his constant companion, started to lessened. Steve played with the lei in his hand, all of a sudden unsure what to do next. What if she reconsidered on her flight? He hadn’t answered her message, maybe she thought he didn’t want her. He saw her struggle with her second suitcase, she had pushed her hair out of her face, scrunching her noise in an annoyed way.

He couldn’t wait any longer and moved forward.

Stepping next to her, she still hadn’t noticed him “Do you need some help?”

“Thanks, I’m fi…” Romy turned around and the rest of the sentence was stuck in her throat. “Steve” his name not much more than a breath.

She couldn’t believe it, he was here, right next to her. Slowly Romy traced his features with her eyes, returning his piercing gaze. The world going quiet around them, his hand interlaced with hers. No words were spoken, just the two of them breathing in sync in the mayhem that is Honolulu Airport. Their moment was rudely interrupted, when someone bumped into Romy causing her to stumble forward. Steve steadied her, before pulling her close into a hug. He could feel Romy claw into his shirt holding onto his front. She was here, really here, in his arms. He doesn’t know how to get her any closer. Doesn’t know how he can ever let her go.

His hands came up to cradle her face “Hale hookipa ana” the lei that was looped around his right hand brushed against Romy’s arm softly as Steve dipped down to kiss her. It wasn’t passionate, it was soft and deep, like breathing after being underwater for too long. Slowly the pair separated, a smile on both of their faces. Steve lifted the lei over Romy’s head, “Sorry, it’s a bit…”

“Don’t be silly. I love it.”

“I love you.” Steve blurted out. Dammit this was not how he wanted to say to her for the first time.

“I love you too.” A grin stretched over Steve’s face, as Romy stood on her toes and kissed him again. It was pure passion this time, his hands sliding down her back to her bum, their tongues dancing, her hands musing his hair.

“What are you doing here?” Romy kept her arms around his neck.

“Already sick of me?” Steve smirked at her.

“Never!” She popped back on her toes and kissed his cheek.

Steve let go of her waist with one hand and pulled his boarding pass out of his back pocket. He held it out to her. Romy took it with both hands, letting the information sink. She leaned back in his embrace “You were going to come?”

“I was already on the plane when I got your message.”

Romy chuckled, she was still fingering the boarding pass. They almost missed each other. “You better delete that message. It’s the worst case of word vomit and babbling.”

“Never.” Steve kissed her forehead. “I happen to like word vomit and babbling.”

“No, you don’t.” Romy pursed her lips.

“Ok you got me, I like your babbling.”

Romy let her head rest against his chest, and took a deep breath. He was really here, she was really here.

“Come on Gorgeous. Let’s get out of here.” Steve let her go to haul her other suitcases of the belt. “What the fuck have you got in there?”

Romy leaned against the cart, watching his muscles move beneath his shirt “Shoes, Schnuffi, lots and lots of shoes.”

 


 

Settling into the passenger seat Romy watched the scenery to go by, she had missed this island and this man next to her so much.

Steve squeezed her hand before pressing a kiss to it “Ready to go home?”

Romy let out a breath “Yeah, well home…the company allows me to stay at the hotel for 4 weeks but then I need to have found a flat.”

Steve took his eyes off the road for a second, was she having him on? He pulled over and turned to face her “Ok, let’s get one thing straight. When I say home, I mean the house, my house, where you spend the last 4 months, where we fucked on almost every surface, where I can’t look at the chairs on the beach without imagining you in one of them. Our home.”

“Steve,” Romy sighed “I meant what I said, there is no pressure. I am not going anywhere, I am not leaving. Please don’t do anything, just because you think I’d leave otherwise.”

“I was sitting on a fucking plane to get to you, Romy.” Steve implored “I was going to beg you to come back, because I love you, because I was downright miserable and doing stupid things without you.” Romy closed her eyes letting his words wash over her, hearing him say these things chased away the doubts she had. Romy could imagine what he meant with stupid things, Catherine had been back, and she knew what for a hold she had on him. She took a leap of faith coming back and he was right there to catch her.

“Quite frankly” Steve slid his arm around her and moved her closer to him, Romy closed her eyes. “That house hasn’t felt like home since you left.” Placing a kiss on Romy’s forehead, her nose, one next to each eyelid, her cheeks before pulling back “Like you said, I’m ready, I’m ready to begin.”

——xx——xx——

“Ah dammit.” Steve pulled out his cell, Lou had texted and called him 3 times already, waiting for him in RumFire.

“You all right?” Romy stepped out of the ensuite, towel wrapped tightly around her, little droplets of water making their way from her hair down her body. Steve was lying on the bed, already back in his jeans after he made sure she showered all the airplane funk of her. Romy joined him on the bed, straddling his legs “Why don’t we go?”

“Huh?” Steve had not been listening - he’d been admiring the view.

Chuckling Romy grabbed his chin “I said why don’t we join him. My eyes are up here, Commander.”

With a growl Steve sat up, pulling Romy further down into his lap “I think that’s the worst idea you had, Romy.” He kissed her passionately.

“Well, at the moment I’m still high from the plane ride, would be nice to see him.” Romy gasped out, while Steve kissed down her neck. "Please Steve. You know how I crash after long plane rides. I need to use the high that I have now. And I fancy a Mai Tai sooo badly." Romy pouted and pulled at Steve's hair lightly.

“Don’t give me the pout, Romy.” Steve whined “You know I can’t resist the pout.” Romy pushed her bottom lip out even further.

"Argh." Steve groaned and his head fell onto her shoulder "Ok." He mumbled against her skin.

"Yes!" Romy fist bumped the air before she scrambled off her boyfriend excitedly. She did a little victory dance while rummaging in her suitcase for some clothes.

"How come that you are only back for 10 minutes, and I do everything you want?" Steve had flopped back onto the bed when Romy got off him.

"You wouldn’t have it any other way." Romy threw over her shoulder before closing the bathroom door halfway. Steve smiled, no he wouldn’t have it any other way. He could not honestly not put it words how happy he was right now and if Romy wanted to go to RumFire then they would go to RumFire.

"Hey!" he startled himself in an upright position "Why are you changing in the bathroom?"

"Really Steve? Would we go anywhere tonight, if I'd changed in front of you?" she appeared back in the door dressed now in skinny blue jeans and a bronze silk camisole

He grinned at her in a way that some might mistake for a leer "Need to make the most of it before you crash and burn, gorgeous."

"Perv." Romy laughed and moved to the make up bag she put on the dresser and took it back into the bathroom with her. Steve got up and fished a button down out of his closet, before joining her in the bathroom.

He reached around Romy to grab his aftershave, while she dabbed some concealer under her eyes. Hugging her to his front, Steve rested his chin on top of her head, watching while Romy did something to her eyebrows before swiping on a red lipstick.

——xx——xx——

The team sat outside at RumFire, at a large high table, illuminated by the thousands of string lights and candles. Steve walked over to the table with his friends. “Hey!” They shouted as they spotted him.

“I see you spread the word.” He clasped Lou’s shoulder.

Lou shrugged, “I might have mentioned it in passing.”

“Come on, Steve, we're here for you.” Chin butted in with a grin and lifting his beer bottle.

“Well, its good that you did, man. I’ve mentioned it in passing to someone too.” Steve grinned and waved to someone in the distance.

Romy tried to suppress the giggle on her face as she walked over to the table “Hey guys!”

“Look who I found lurking at Honolulu Airport.” Steve pulled Romy into his side.

The guys were shocked and started talking over each other.

“What?” “How?” “Why?”

Kono did not care about any of the three questions, as she jumped out of her seat and pulled her friend out of Steve’s arms into her own. The two women bounced together, happiness written over both their faces. Kono pressed her forehead against Romy’s giving her a Honi.

“Aloha ʻoe hoʻi, e ke kaikuahine” She whispered before letting go of her friend.

Steve watched their display grinning, before noticing that among his group of friends sat the one and only Gerard Hirsch “What’s he doing here?” He asked Lou, and then louder to Gerard “What are you doing here?”

“I came bearing gifts!”

Lou showed off his sketch “Look at that.” An amazing caricature showing him playing golf. One after another each of them showed off their caricature.

“What he drew these things?” STeve asked surprised. Romy leaned closer to Chin, marvelling at the detail in his sketch.

“These are amazing, Gerard.” Romy smiled at him.

“Thank you, Romy. I need to apologise, I didn’t know you’d be joining us tonight, so I haven’t prepared one for you. But I’ve made one for you, Commander.” Gerard handed Steve a piece of paper.

That got the others cackling, Steve’s caricature was him in full Rambo mode.

“The details amazing. You might have gotten a bit overboard on the abs.” Kono teased.

“What do you mean?” Steve looked down on the sketch again.

“I had to use my imagination.” Gerard said apologetic.

“Your imagination is pretty much spot on.” Romy slid her arm around Steve’s middle.

“Oh man!” The others groaned and laughed. “Too much information!”

“Thank you.” Steve bend down to kiss Romy, earning them more jeers from their friends.

“Cut it out, you two.” Kono threw her napkin at the couple, but the smile on her face was infectious.

Romy stuck out her tongue in retaliation “Make us.”

Waving down the waitress for them Lou said “Excuse me Miss. Would you mind getting this man a beer, and Romy what do you want?”

“The largest Mai Tai you got, please.”

They settled at the table, squeezing between Chin and Lou. Steve’s hand on the back of Romy’s chair and Romy’s finger moving up and down on his leg.

“You here for good?” He asked her softly.

“Yes.”

He was interrupted saying anything further by the waitress bringing the drinks and another platter of Pu Pu. Instead he lifted his beer for a toast “To Friends, To Family, To Love. Welcome home, Romy.”

“Here, Here!” Clinking glasses and cheering.

 


 

“Thank you for going tonight.” Romy squeezed Steve’s hand as he unlocked the front door.

“Anytime.” He pushed the door open letting Romy go through first. Her handbag fell to the floor with a thud and he slid his arms around her midriff from behind. His nose buried in her hair, dropping little kisses down the back of hair neck. “But I’m glad we are home alone now.” Steve spun her around in his arms. Romy’s hands gliding up his chest to his shoulders. “Why Commander? Do you have plans for us tonight?”

“Mhm” Steve nodded, then he nipped at her bottom lip, eliciting a small moan.

“Why don’t you tell me?” Romy’s hands had made their way down his front and dipped underneath his shirt. His skin smooth under her fingertips. A shudder went through Steve.

“I’d rather show you.” His hands slid under her bum and lifted her.

“Steve!” Romy shrieked at the sudden movement, her hands still trapped underneath his shirt.

“I’ve got you.” He kissed her cheek, before moving towards the stairs.

“One day you are going to break your back.”

“While carrying you? Never?” Steve said in mock outrage.

Romy snorted, she knew she wasn’t skinny, but hey who was she to argue if he wanted to carry her. She buried her face in his neck, kissing, reacquainting herself with his sweet spots. She grinned into his skin, when he shuddered again.

“Stop that, or we are never going to make it up the stairs.” Steve scolded her.

“I do remember telling you about all the floor space you have down here.” Her lips still trailing his neck.

“Uhu” he shook his head. “This is happening in bed.”

“If you insist.”

Steve walked them upstairs into the bedroom, he set Romy down on the bed and stepped back, just looking at her.

“Steve?” Romy shifted backwards on the bed, she started to feel a bit self conscious under his stare. “Are you ok?”

“Yeah.” He shifted his weight from one side to another. “Just making sure this is not a dream. Usually when I get this far you disappear.”

Romy lifted her hips and shimmied out of her jeans, holding eye contact with him the entire time “Why don’t you come over her and I prove it to you that this is not a dream.”

She laid against the headboard in her silky top and high waisted lace panties, watching him watch her.

“I love you.”

A smile spread over Romy’s face “I love you too. Now get over here!”

With the demand spoken, Steve grabbed his shirt at the back of his neck and pulled it off in one smooth motion. He stalked over to the bed, sitting at the end he pulled on Romy’s ankle, effectviely sliding her towards him. He lifted himself over, caging her in. Romy’s hands explored his chest and back, her fingernails digging into his skin, she smiled, he was truly perfect. She caught his gaze, where he was hovering, hands on her waist, thumbs smoothing the skin. Romy reached for his face and tugged him closer, his hands moving underneath her body, holding her closer to him, as they kissed. Steve opened her mouth with his tongue, could feel goosebumps rising on both their skin. Her hands never still mapping his body, reconnecting with every fleck of skin and muscles. He almost could feel Romy vibrating underneath him “What do you want, Romy?”

“I...I...” the feeling of him was almost too much, to smell him to touch him “I want you.” She gasped out.

“You’ve got me.” He whispered against her lips.

“Please Steve.” Romy squirmed, her panties definitely soaking and she could feel him through his jeans, heavy against her leg.

“Tell me Romy.” His hands pulling her top over her head. Steve’s eyes blew wide, she hadn’t worn a bra. He kissed his way down her body. Paying attention to her breasts, softly palming them, kissing around them before plucking her nipples. Romy’s head fell back at his ministrations and before she knew, he was kneeling between her thighs. Nosing around the lace, pressing a kiss to her covered slit. She gasped, her back curved, her legs opening more. Steve worked her slowly this time, his hands on her hips holding her still. Making sure she felt everything, every little movement, every small lick of his tongue, or press of his finger.

“Steve...Steve...” Romy moaned. Her release so close, and it stopped. A whine stuck in her throat as she opened her eyes. Steve sat back on his haunches, his lips glistening with her essence. “You haven’t answered my question yet?”

His question? She had no idea what his question was. Her brain no longer cooperating, she said the first thing that came to her mind “Love me” she whispered. “Oh god.” Steve leaned over her, his hand stroking her cheek. He kissed her. Romy could taste herself on him, she moaned into his mouth and before she could do anything else, Steve had flipped them. She laid on top of him, his jeans rough on her skin, making her tingle even worse. Romy sat up, unbuttoning his trousers, tugging them down his legs. She settled onto his legs, palming his length through his boxers. Now it was Steve turn to moan. Romy got rid of his boxers, then she bend over and kissed the top of his dick. His hands shot to her hair, moving in the strands, while Romy kissed her way down his shaft and then up again, Steve moaned this was heaven. It was too much. He could feel tongue circling the tip, her lips engulfing him. He had to stop. “Don’t” he pulled her face up. “Not like this.” He panted out and slid Romy closer. His hands moved down to her hips, lifting her, sinking her down on him. Romy’s head fell back as he slid into her, hitting all the spots, she groaned his name. She moved her hips experimentally, trying to find their rhythm. Their eyes met “This is when you usually disappear.”

“What?” Steve lifted himself on his elbows, changing the angle for Romy.

Romy groaned at the changed angle, her hands falling to his chest for support. “In my dreams or when I would touch myself” she continued to ground her hips “right before...ah...right before I’d come. You’d disappear.”

“You thought about me, when you touched yourself?” Steve smirked, a shit eating grin on his face. Romy clenched around him, making his face go slack with want.

“Yes.”

Steve sat up, changing the angle again. He pulled Romy towards him, kissing her, their tongue intertwined, swallowing their moans. His hands moving along her rib cage, holding her to him, chest to chest.

“Fuck!” Romy moaned as he positions their legs so he could fuck into her more easier. She reached for his hair, holding on tight. He was so deep inside of her. “Yes, I would think of you. Wishing it was you kissing me, holding me, rubbing my clit just...Shit.” She let out. Steve’s hand had made it down to her clit, circling the top with just the right pressure. “Just like that.”

“You like that Gorgeous?”

Romy nodded in his neck, no words forming, just her gasps as thrust into her, hitting the right spots, and rubbing up and down her clit with just the right pressure. She was overwhelmed, the sensations taking over.

“Yeah, tha’s it…” Steve whispered into her skin, pressing kisses where he could reach her, her neck, her collarbone, her ear. He could feel her tightening around him. There was wave a of pleasure as he hit just the right spot and she was falling over the top. “Steve!” Clenching around him, her nails dug deep into his shoulders, holding on while she rode out her pleasure, gasping, shuddering around him. He was thrusting into her trying to prolong her orgasm, but he could feel it, he was close to.

“Mmm...Steve....” she whispered. He could feel her becoming pliant in his arms, his thrusts becoming softer, holding off. Romy lifted her head, kissing him, making her way down his jaw to his ear. She moaned as she adjusted her hips “Steve, fuck me.”she nipped on his earlobe, making him grip her hips tight. “You sure?” He touched her forehead with hers. Her eyes as blown wide, as his. Desire, Want, Love all swirled in them. She nodded and he did just that. Both hands on her hips as he moved her at a fast pace. Eyes never leaving each other as he hit deep within her. Romy was still clenching around him, giving him exactly what he needed. His thrusts lost their pace “Fuck, Romy...Romy” he groaned as spilled deep inside her.

Steve’s forehead fell to her shoulder panting, his hands on her legs that were still wound around his waist. A second and another one, then he lifted his head. Romy smiled at him her fingers moving patterns over his face. No words were spoken, no words were needed. He shifted them to the side, laying down on his bed.

Sharing kisses, no longer hot and sloppy but soft and careful. They shifted on the bed and Steve pulled out of her, Romy winced at the loss. Their arms around each other, holding tight, chest glued to chest, basking in each other presence.

“I missed you.” He spoke softly, his hand brushing through her hair.

“You missed me or the amazing orgasm I just gave you?” Romy teased.

“Brat.” Steve pulled at her hair. “You want to tell that the two you just had?”

“How?” Romy leaned back a bit, she didn’t think he’d notice. It hit her right as he came as well.

“What can I say, I’m tuned to you.”

“Who’s the brat now?” Romy pouted.

Steve laughed out loud, oh god he loved this woman. The way they could switch so easily from tenderness to snark to fucking each other senseless to loving again. He moved his arms and let her out of his hold “Go pee.” He swatted her bum. “I want to cuddle with you.”

Romy pressed a kiss underneath his jaw and rolled out from his arms “Aye Aye Commander” she said over her shoulder giving him a one fingered salute.

Romy peed and cleaned herself up a little, she hopped on the freezing tiles of the en-suite as she washed her hands. Looking up in the mirror, she spotted the scratches she had left on herself weeks ago among the ones that Steve had given her tonight.

“Romy? You ok?”

A last look into the mirror she walked back into the bedroom, Steve had pulled the sheets right and had moved the pillows back up. He held open the end of the sheet “Come ‘ere.”  Romy moved underneath. Cuddling close to each other, she rested her head on his, their fingers drawing patterns on each other’s bodies. His fingers found the old scratches as if they were magnetic.

“What happened?” He mumbled into her hair.

She shrugged “Everything felt just so out of control.”

Romy could feel him nod.

“You didn’t last year, didn’t you?”

“No.”

“You know why?”

Romy shrugged again “My shrink had some ideas. Didn’t care for them much.”

“What do you think.” His voice just a rumble.

“Hawaii...you...felt like I woke up and you...this was all here. It made it easier to be me. So i guess...Thank you.”

“Don’t.”

“What?”

“Thank me. It’s what you do, for the person you love. Isn’t it?” Steve reached over Romy to her bedside table, grabbing her sleep mask. He pulled it on her, kissing her softly. His arms holding her securely to him.

“Yeah.” Romy lifted her head deepening the kiss. “I love you.”

She snuggled into Steve’s chest, pulling the mask over her eyes. Sleep already tugging at her heavily, she almost missed his whispered.

“You make it easier to be me, too.”

Chapter 19: Navigate the waters

Summary:

Summary: Settling into a life together comes with some difficulties, a fight and a serial killer.
Songs I listened to while writing: Let’s stay home tonight by NEEDTOBREATHE // Wherever is your heart by Brandi Carlie
Warnings: None
Episode: Season 6 - Episode 5 & 6

Notes:

Hello lovelies,
How are you all?
Are you ready for some domestic Romy & Steve? They are settling into a life together, but its not as easy as they thought. Two other TV-Shows were a big influence on two scenes in this chapter. Any guesses which shows and which scenes?
I cannot wait to hear your comments, thoughts and reviews, send them anyway you want.
Enjoy xx

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

August 2015

A banging on the door woke them up the next morning. “Steve! Steve! Open up! I know you’re home.”

Romy rolled out of Steve’s embrace. “What’s going on?” She mumbled.

“Someone’s at the door.” Steve retorted, his voice lazy as he grabbed for her body.

“Maybe we should check it out?”

Steve lifted his phone to his face “no one called me. Can’t be important.”

Romy sat up and shrug into his shirt from last night.

“Where are you going?” Steve frowned, they were supposed to stay naked and in his bed for the next 24 hrs at least.

“See who’s hammering down our front door.” She stood up and slipped on her panties. Steve grinned.

“What?”

“You said our...our front door.”

Romy bit her lip, suddenly nervous. Did he not mean what he said yesterday? “Well you said...”

Steve pulled her astray over the bed into his lap. His hands finding purchase in her hair, he gave her a solid kiss. “I meant every word.”He grinned at the glazed over expression in her eyes, her lips chasing his. “Now check who’s at our front door.” He patted her hip.

Pressing her lips to his, Romy moved over his body, making sure to brush against his morning wood, off the bed. She threw a smile over her shoulder as she disappeared out the door. Leaning back in the pillows Steve sighed, it was not a dream. It was not a dream. “Coming. Hold your horses.” He could hear Romy running down the stairs to the beat of the knocks.

——xx——xx——

“I’ve just got the idea how you can win Romy...” Nahele rushed out as the door finally opened and he literally fell into the house.

“Win me what? A stuffed bear?” Romy finished his sentence. He hadn’t noticed that it hadn’t been Steve opening the door. Now it started to click.

“Hey kiddo.” Romy cocked her head to the side and smiled. Nahele just stared at her. Slowly he lifted his hand and tapped her shoulder with his index finger, like he tried to make sure she was not a figment of his imagination.

“You ok, Nahele?” Romy had watched him with amusement.

“What...where?”

“I just couldn’t stay away.”

“Hu?”

Romy laughed at his dumbfounded facial expression, then she pulled Nahele into a hug.

“I’m back.” She whispered into his hair.

At that Nahele squeezed her tightly “And you’re not leaving again?”

“No. I’m gonna stay.”

“Forever?”

Romy let out a choked laugh. Now wasn’t that a loaded question.

“Well as long as we can keep her.”

Romy and Nahele turned, Steve stood on the stairs with a smile on his face. Embarrassed being caught in an emotional moment, Nahele jumped out of the hug. “Whatever.” He shrugged.

Romy glared at  Steve, that translated roughly into ‘What the heck!’ Steve shrugged his shoulders sheepishly. Coming down the last two stairs he slung his arms around Nahele and Romy, “What do you say - lets grab some breakfast?”

“I could eat.” Nahele said.

“You could always eat.” Steve ruffled his hair.

“I’m a growing boy.” Nahele swatted his hand away.

Romy rolled her eyes at their antics “You guys decide where we are going and I’m gonna get dressed quickly.” She kissed Steve’s cheek and vanished upstairs.

“Soooo....” Nahele waited until he heard the door close upstairs.

“What?”

“What happened?”

“I was already on the plane to London, ready to take off, when I got her voicemail that she was on her way back too. So I got off that plane and surprised her at luggage claim.”

“So actually you didn’t do anything.” Nahele surmised.

“Hey! I resent that notion.” Steve exclaimed.

“Have you given it to her yet?”

Steve shook his head “we haven’t really been alone yet.”

“Hello? Last night?”

Steve snorted “I’m sorry Nahele, but we had other stuff on our mind last night.”

“Ewww!” Nahele pulled a disgusted face. “I really did not need to know that. I think I lost my appetite.”

“Great.” Steve slapped his shoulder “Means cheaper breakfast for me.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

It had been a party! A great party, really. Something that happens without being properly planned and then ends up being the best fun they had in a while. It had started out with an innocent video call to Romy’s family in Germany, so they could meet the Hawaiian Ohana, but that call was highjacked by her brothers who somehow had gotten her friends in London involved. They proved you could play drinking games even if the parties are held in three different countries and three different time zone.

A great night indeed, but Romy and Steve were feeling it now. Both of their heads laid on the dining room table, coffee and plain toast untouched. Bottles and left over food littered every surface in and outside of the house.

“Ugh.” Romy groaned and lifted her head slightly, sliding the plate of toast over to her.

“Why do you have to be so loud?” Steve mumbled into the table.

“Shhhh.” Was Romy’s eloquent reply as she nibbled at the piece of toast. Steve sat up with extreme care, trying not to make any movements that would startle the drums player currently residing in his head. He slipped into the chair next to Romy, laying his head on her shoulder.

“Oh god.”

Romy wasn’t too sure if oh god related to the state of himself or the state of the house. It would fit either or both.

“I know.” She whined, trying to keep the volume down.

“Everyone is always up for a party but no one ever for the clean up.” Steve sipped on the coffee gingerly before taking a bite off Romy’s toast.

They swapped coffee and toast forth and back in silence for a while, but even the silence hurt. A loud noise outside made them sat quickly. Romy’s hand going straight to her stomach, willing it to settle down, the sudden movement did not help with her queasiness.

“What was...?” She looked over to Steve, but he had already scrambled up and outside. Following him more carefully, leaning against the furniture for support she joined him on the lanai. The massive smile he had, did not match with the hungover mood from two minutes ago. He held out his arm for her, and Romy snuggled into his side, the she saw it. Danny kneeling on the grass, emptying his stomach into their hibiscus bushes.

“I think we found clean up help, gorgeous.” Steve crowed gleefully at Danny’s pitiful figure.

——xx——xx——

In the evening she got a message from Kono ‘Had so much fun last night. Still cannot believe that we can do this now every weekend 😉

Romy groaned into Steve’s abs, her head perched on his lap as she read Kono’s message.

“What’s up?” His fingers playing with her hair, eyes trained on the tv.

“Just Kono, wanting to repeat last night soon...preferably every weekend.”

Steve’s head fell against the back of the sofa “Only if it’s at her house and we are sneaking out after 2 drinks.”

“My thoughts exactly.” Romy started to type back. “Now she wants prove.”

“Of what?” Steve was confused did he miss anything?

Romy lifted her phone up so he could read the text.

“She wants prove that I’m hungover?”

“Apparently there are rumours that you can’t be hungover.”

“Oh for fucks sake.” Steve ground out.

“Come on, be a sport.” Romy lifted her cell and opened her camera.

“Smile.”

“For Kono’s sake I’ll better not find that on Instagram.” Steve grouches as he watched Romy sending the pic to Kono.

“I don’t know what you’re complaining about, you just look tired. I look like death.”

“I still love you.” Steve bend down and kissed her.

“Good answer.” Romy mumbled against his lips.

“Guys, please for the love of god, stop the PDA unless you want me to vomit again.” Danny ambled into the living room, freshly showered.

“You have your own house, you know.” Steve kissed Romy again just to spite his friend, and well he always wanted to kiss Romy, even if she looked like ‘death’.

Danny let himself fall down onto the armchair, feet on the ottoman, while devouring a cold piece of pizza they had gotten for lunch. “Nu - uh.” He shook his head. “Your Lady love here, offered me another night. Especially after needing to sleep outside last night.”

“Just because you were too drunk to find the way inside.”

“Boys, please.” Romy said, her eyes still glued to her phone. “Guest room is yours Danny, but if the TV is on after midnight I’ll kick you out to the hibiscus bush myself.”

Steve grinned smugly at Danny and resumed petting Romy’s hair and watching TV. His phone buzzed a minute later, he ignored it as Danny pulled his out at the same time, just a message in one of the group chats then.

“Ok now I’m really going to be sick!” Danny exclaimed and threw his couch pillow at Romy.

“You are such a baby!” Romy stuck his tongue out at him.

“What did you do?” Steve took the pillow from her and lobbed it back, hitting Danny on the head.

“Nothing.” Romy shrugged her shoulders and burrowed back onto his lap.

“Check your Instagram account.” Danny made puking noises.

Opening the app, Steve saw that Romy tagged him in a post.

She posted two pictures of them next to each other, the first one must have been taken last night. They were both standing on the lanai, drinks in hand, his arm around her waist. Romy was laughing at something he must have said a moment earlier, cause her head was thrown back in glee and he had a smile on his face, watching her. The other picture however was the one she had send to Kono, her head on his chest, no make up on, both of them looking tired and dressed in hoodies.

>> No one I rather party and be hungover with. Or as someone else said: Isn’t it amazing, how a person who was once a stranger, can suddenly, without warning, mean the whole world to you? #hawaii #myperson #lifecanbearomcom <<

Steve looked down at her and Romy scrunched her face and grinned at him. A wave of contentment washed over him, this was it. This was exactly what he wanted, someone to be there for the party and the hungover. Their phones vibrated again, a comment thread appeared under the picture.

D_Wills 🤢

PolarBear1984  @SMcG50 no refunds or returns. This one is yours

SMcG50  jealous much @D_Wills

ARomyinHawaii I’m gonna tell Mum @PolarBear1984 @PaulErh

SMcG50 That’s ok, @PolarBear1984 @PaulErh I’m not giving her back

 

——xx——xx——

 

September 2015


“What’s got you in such a good mood this early in the morning?” Steve watched as Romy bounced around the kitchen with a big smile on her face, too big for it being 7am on a Monday.

“My container has arrived.” She hopped closer to him, kissing Steve right underneath is ear before dancing away again.

“Ok?”

“Ok. ok? Don’t you know what this means?”

Steve shrugged, he had no idea why she was getting so excited about the container. “All my stuff is in there. All my clothes and my books and my....”

“Ok, I get it. You are excited.” Steve hugged her close.

“So excited.” Romy jumped up and down in his hold.

“While I absolutely love when you’re excited.” Steve had watched her ample breasts move with an appreciative smile “I do need to head to work.”

Romy leaned in his embrace suggestively “maybe we can be excited together” She nipped at his bottom lip “Tonight.”

“Oh definitely!” Steve let his lips skim over Romy’s, he was about to deepen the kiss when Danny announced himself at the front door. “To be continued.” He sighed dejectedly.

“You bet’cha.” Romy gave his cheek a peck and pinched his butt. “Now go before we get a lecture from Williams again about PDA in our own kitchen.”

“See you tonight.” Steve called over his shoulder.

——xx——xx——

“So have you cleared out space yet?” Danny asked as they were in pursuit of a suspect.

“What do you mean?” Steve looked at him before training is eyes back on the road.

“Romy’s things. I assume she needs some space to you know...”

“Sure, half of the closer is empty for her clothes.” He stepped on the gas.

Danny chuckled.

“What?”

“You are cute when your clueless.”

“What are you talking about.”

“How did you manage to convince Romy to live with you again?”

“Maybe you should just spit it out.” Steve swerved around other cars on the highway. Danny held onto the car door for dear life. “I would like not to die today, ok!”

“Well why don’t you just spit out what you wanted to say!” Steve brought the car to a screeching halt blocking the suspect in. Both of them got out of the car, guns at the ready, charging forward.

“5-0! Hands where I can see them!” Steve shouted, aiming at the woman’s head through the windshield.

“I just mean” Danny handcuffed her “that she moved from the other side of the world. She will have more than a few suitcases in that container.”

Steve scoffed at that, “I know that, she’ll have some books and some knickknacks too.”

Danny handed the woman over to Duke for processing. “Romy did have a life before you and Hawaii. She’ll have brought more than...” he saw Steve’s face and realised it was pointless arguing with him. “You know what. I don’t care.” Let him have a rude awaking then.

——xx——xx——

Steve came home to a house full of boxes and wrapping material. “What’s all this?” He waded through the door. Romy was dressed down in a pair of shorts and an old T-shirt of his. Sweat glistened on her face, her glasses stuck on top of her head anchored somehow in the two short frenchbraids.

“Hi Steve!” She kissed him. “It’s my stuff.”

“Wow...” Steve surveyed it at all, was that a rocking chair? “Well you moved across the world, maybe it’s time to...”

“Time to what?” Romy frowned at him.

“You know” he tugged at one of her braid stubbles “sort through some stuff. Get rid of some.”

“I already did.” Romy opened another box. Steve peaked into it “You got to be kidding. You brought Christmas decorations?”

“Yes of course.” Romy was confused, she didn’t know what’s gotten into him. She watched him survey the rooms and she bit her lip, as he spotted the painting.

“Well, maybe this” Steve picked it up “this could go?” It was an abstract painting and he squinted at it, trying to make sense of the purple and blue paint splotches. “What is this supposed to be, anyway?”

“It’s the London skyline.”

“Well, you’re on Hawaii now.” Steve said offhandedly, while he hefted the large painting off the floor. “You don’t need it anymore.”

“No!” Romy exclaimed, falling into his arms. “My friend Andrea painted this for me, as a leaving present.” She turned around “I thought, above the sofa facing the front door’d be a good place.”

“You want to hang it?” His voice got really high at the end. Taking a breath Romy counted to 10 in her head. “I would love to, but if you don’t like it...” She trialled off, hoping Steve would pick up on how much that painting meant to her, but Steve just breathed a sigh of relief. He spied her sewing machine and nodded towards it “We can set it up in the guest room downstairs, if you want.” Steve moved carefully into the dining room and stopped abruptly in the door way “You shipped your furniture too?”

Romy looked up from another box, containing some kitchen utensils. “Ahem, yes...Is that a problem?”

“Well, I’ve got furniture here.” Steve pointed out.

Romy clenched her teeth “Yes, your furniture.” She gestured to a book case, armchair and sideboard, “This is mine.”

“And you don’t need it, cause my furniture is already here.” Steve retorted snidely.

“Steve!”

“Romy!”

They faced each other, neither knew how to continue. Heavy breathing intermingled with the ocean sounds, breaking the silence of their standoff.

Romy broke first, her voice quiet almost pleading, “I’m not asking you to throw anything out. I’d just like some space for my stuff here too. Like moving the desk a bit to the side and then my bookcase and chair can go here...” Romy leaned against the desk, gesturing where she’d move the furniture.

“Yeah, that cannot go there.” Steve responded hotly.

“What?” Steve brash response startled her. Romy pushed off the desk standing in front of him.

“It doesn’t fit here.” Steve’s jaw clenched.

“I see that.” Romy’s voice becoming acidly “That’s why I said lets move everything half a meter to the left.”

“No.”

“That’s it. No? Really?” Romy was getting frustrated now.

“Yes, there is enough furniture in this room already.”

“Steve!” The edge in her tone making both of them flinch. Taking a breath she tried to calm down, she didn’t want to fight with him about this. This was supposed to be fun, them combining their stuff, making it truly their home. “Ok, don’t you like my furniture?” She always thought they had similar taste, dark furniture - light walls, splashes of colour.

“It’s not that. The chair looks great but I just don’t think it will fit here and to be honest it doesn’t look that comfortable.”

“Where would you put it then?”

“How about the guest room?” Steve suggested.

Calmly Romy asked, “Where you want to put my sewing machine?”

“Yes.” Steve grinned.

“And I assume, that’s where you wouldn’t mind the painting and all my other stuff to go either?”

“There’s space.” Steve shrugged, glad that Romy seemed to agree. The house was fine as it is.

“Do you want me to sleep in the guest room, too?”

Steve’s head whipped around, Romy’s tone and question threw him out of his false sense of security.

“What? Why?” He was confused now.

“Well, this is where my stuff is going to be isn’t it? Wouldn’t want to encroach onto your space.”

“Romy, come on be reasonable.”

“Be reasonable?” Romy’s eyebrows shot into her hairline. How dare he! “You said that you want me here. But you’re making it damn clear that you don’t want me or my stuff here!”

Steve stared at her with wide eyes, he had never seen Romy furious. Her German accent becoming more and more pronounced. “Romy you know that, that isn’t true.”

“Do I? Really? Any suggestion I make on how to combine our things, you shut down!” “I suggested the guest room!”

“Wow the guest room.” She barely managed to conceal the sarcasm. “You said that this is my home. Ergo it should be our home, with our things. Don’t you think?”

Steve held out his hands, palms up like trying to placate a spooked animal. “Romy would you please calm down.”

“Oh I am calm.” Romy seethed.

“I don’t see what the problem is? The guest room is big enough for all your stuff.” Romy shook her head, why didn’t he understand? “You told me that this was my home. But it doesn’t feel like it Steve. I’m allowed to have my clothes here, but not my life. And now you’re making me put everything into the guest room.”

“You are not a guest dammit Romy.” Now Steve raised his voice. “What is it with you and all this anyway? It’s just stuff!”

“Well me and my stuff feeling a lot like guests right now.” Romy lifted the painting with a flourish and stalked off into the downstairs guest room, head held high. Leaving Steve standing in the dining room. He flinched as the door banged shut. This was not how the evening was supposed to go, he rubbed his forehead tiredly. He sat down in the rocking chair with a thud, head leaning back he started to swivel. Shit, that thing was comfortable.

He hadn’t heard anything from inside the room for the last twenty minutes, which was hopefully enough time for Romy to calm down. He stood up and walked over, as his phone started to ring. “McGarrett.” He listened to Chin relaying some new information. “I’m on my way.” He sighed.

Steve knocked on the closed door “Romy.” No answer, so he knocked again. “Gorgeous. I...I got a call. We’ve caught an update on the case.” The silence was deafening. “I’m gonna head out now. I see you later.” he turned away from the door, but he couldn’t go like this. Steve laid his forehead against the wood and said “I love you.”

Romy sat against the door on the other side, eyes closed, tears threatening to come. She heard the front door fall in its lock. Slamming her hand against the floor, she let out a scream “Scheiße!”

——xx——xx——

“Woah!” Lou exclaimed as Steve stalked into their offices, making the other three look up. “Who peed into your Cheerios?”

“I don’t want to talk about it.” Steve pressed out. “What’s new?” he gestured to the images on the screens.

“Trouble in paradise?” Lou guessed.

“Can we please concentrate on the case?”

“Not when you are in this mood.” Danny pointed out.

Kono nodded, “Yeah, boss. Come on can’t be that bad.”

“Yes, Romy and I had a fight. Happy?” His voice strained.

Chin swallowed, that didn’t sound good at all. He couldn’t remember those two ever fighting. A squabble or disagreement, definitely, but Steve’s murderous expression indicated more than that. “What did you fight about, Steve?” He wanted to know.

“Oh I tell you what its about” Danny butted in, a smug grin adorned his face. “Romy’s container came today and he didnt think he needed to make more space for her. Going after the look on his face, Romy disagreed. How right am I?”

If looks could kill, Danny would be dead right now.

“Really Steve?” Kono rolled her eyes.

“She brought a chair and a bookcase and Christmas decorations, there were like 20 boxes in my house!” It poured out of Steve, indignation clear in his voice.

“Why are you so surprised by this?” Chin asked. “Didn’t you check with her what she was bringing?”

“I...I... thought she’d bring clothes and small stuff. But who the heck ships furniture halfway across the world?”

His three friends shared a look, no one wanted to point out the obvious. Chin sighed, “Well, why don’t we catch you up on the new developments.”

“Thank you!” Steve leaned forward on the table.

——xx——xx——

Steve and Danny had parked the Camaro opposite the suspects house, settling in for a long night of observation. For the last 30 minutes Danny had sneaked over glances at Steve, trying to find the right opening.

“If you want to know, just ask.” Steve bit out “Since when are you trying to not get involved in my private life in any case.”

“Well, I was trying to find a way to ask without you biting my head off. That’s  obviously not gonna happen.”

Steve harrumphed in response.

“Come on tell me.”

After a bit of cajoling, Steve recounted their fight to Danny. His partner shaking his head every once in a while, but not giving any response.

“So?” Steve asked after he was done.

“So, what?”

“What do you think?”

Danny wriggled around in his seat, taking a sip of his coffee. “You need to find a way to apologise. Big time.”

“What? Why? She wanted to get rid off my...”

“Did she actually say getting rid off?” Danny interrupted him.

“I..” Steve thought over their fight “No not exactly.”

“Did you say to move all her stuff into the guest room?”

Steve didn’t answer for a second.

“Steve.” Danny prompeted.

He shrugged.

“You did. Wow. That’s cold even for you.”

“I don’t understand, what the problem is. All the furniture is in great condition, and it fits with the house. Why would we change it?”

“Babe. You literally told her, that she’s welcome to sleep over but not make the house her home.”

“A home...a home...what are you so fixated on that word, Romy too.”

“Because you told her to move in with you, that this place was her home. Now she wants to make some changes and it’s suddenly not her home.” Danny took a sip of his coffee. “Listen babe. That woman gave up her life to be here with you, with us. She left all her family and friends behind. Her home. And now you are telling her she can’t put up a painting or have an armchair?”

“Ugh!” Steve’s head fell against the car window. “I do have to apologise, don’t I.”

“Yeah, you do.” Danny shrugged. “And maybe tell her why you freaked out so much.”

“What do you mean?”

“Please Steve. Romy will not just let you fly by with an apology. She will want to know why you reacted that way.”

“Who are you now? Our shrink? Have you filled out those workbooks again.” Steve needled, Danny was digging a bit too close for comfort.

“That’s what I get from helping you. You throwing shade at me?”

A minute of silence passed. “Thanks man.” Steve said into the quietness of the car.

“No problem buddy. Talk to her, explain it.”

“I will.” Steve nodded.

“And apologise.”

“Yeah.”

“And a gesture.”

“A gesture?”

“Yes, a romantic gesture.”

“The last romantic gesture cost me over 5 grand in unused airline tickets.”

“Not my fault if your girl is quicker and better than you at gestures.”

Steve snorted “Any suggestions on what I should do?”

“Nah I leave that to you.” Danny grinned. “You better do it in the right order, though.”

“There is a right order?” Now Steve knew that Danny was starting to take the piss.

“Yes and you better follow it or backfires on you spectacularly.”

“Ok, and what is the right order?” Steve sighed.

“First gesture, butter her up enough so she’ll listen to you. Then apologise, sincerely apologise. Followed by your explanation, promise never to do it again and then...” Danny paused for dramatic effect “the best part. Make up sex.”

——xx——xx——

Steve unlocked the door the next morning, stiff and tired after sitting the whole night in a car only to race their suspect through the streets of Honolulu at dawn. The house was eerily quiet and ... tidy? Where were all the boxes from yesterday? Even the contentious furniture wasn’t in the living room anymore.

“Romy?”

Steve made his way out on the lanai, expecting her to sit at the patio table drinking coffee, eating a quick breakfast, but nothing. Slowly he walked upstairs, she must be at work already. He opened the door to their bedroom and stood still. All her stuff was gone, he ripped the closet open, her side empty. Pulling out his phone he dialled, but it went to voicemail. Suddenly a shudder went through him, Steve thundered down the stairs. She wouldn’t, would she?

With huge trepidation he opened the downstairs guest room and of course the room was bursting at its seams. Boxes, wrapping paper, the book case and rocking chair were all crammed into the space, her clothes thrown haphazardly on the bed.

A note sellotaped to sideboard.

‘Thought I get started on moving into my part of the house. R’

Steve leaned against the door jamb with a thud. She really meant business. As he looked at her possessions pushed together, and reread her note, a chuckle started to bubble in his chest. Evolving into fit of laughter. Who would have thought? Steve shook his head. Romy was a petty little shit when she was pissed.

——xx——xx——

Throwing all her stuff into the guest room and writing that stupid note. Argh! Sometimes she wished she had a better handle on her temper. He had made her so mad, she’d wanted to smother or throw something, or someone. She wouldn’t have been picky. Instead she channeled her anger into pettiness. Should he see what it looks like when she was gone, the feeling of being sure of something suddenly being yanked out from under your feet. God she usually had a tight lid on that petty bitch... She shouldn’t have raised to Steve’s bait yesterday, but he managed to hit all her buttons at the same time. She groaned in frustration, her head banging against her desk.

“You know, you’re absolutely no use for me like this.” Ani stood in her office door. Romy leaned back in her desk chair, looking pitiful at her.

“No, don’t look at me like that. Fighting with your boyfriend and then not making up with him. I don’t feel sorry for you.” Ani stepped into the room and pulled Romy out of her chair, handing her her bag and then leaning over the desk to turn of the computer.

“You do know that I’m your boss and you’re my assistant, right?”

“Yes,” Ani nudged Romy in the back and jostled her out of the office “a good assistant knows when the boss is useless for the day. And you my dear are useless until you make up with Steve. So go home and kiss and make up.”

——xx——xx——

Steve could hear her car parking in the drive way. This was it. He waited, but nothing. No car door closing, no key jangling in the door. He stepped onto the front porch, Romy still sat in her car. Walking the two steps down, Steve crouched in front of her car door. He saw how her shoulders tensed, her chin tilted up, trying not to give anything away. His fingers curling around the edge of the open window tightly, not too sure what to say, how to start. So he settled on, “Hey.”

Steve took the small smile that fought itself on Romy’s stoic face as good sign, when she answered “Hey.”

Romy turned to look at him, his face was mirroring her own expression of ‘I’m sorry’ with a little bit of shame mixed in.

Steve leaned into the car and grasped her hand that was still on the steering wheel. “I’m sorry.”

Letting out a breath, Romy lifted their hands and kissed the back of his. “I’m sorry too.”

Steve drew her into his arms after she got out of her car, Romy sank into his embrace. Her head nestled against his chest, his hands rubbing the expanse of her back, trying to get rid of the tension.  “Come on, I got to show you something.”

“Yeah, I got to show you something too.”

“You mean the guest room?” Mirth swung in Steve’s voice.

“You saw?” Romy squeezed her eyes shut.

“You are ruthless when you’re mad, gorgeous.” He squeezed her closer to his side, pressing a kiss onto her temple. Steve moved in front of her when they reached the house door. Resting his hands on her shoulders “Ok, so I want to apologise again. I wasn’t fair yesterday, I should have listened to you. Plus you were right, this is your home and I want you...no I need you to be comfortable here. And if that means hanging a painting or moving furniture around to make it happen, thats perfectly fine with me.”

Romy let her hands glide on his forearms, “I’m sorry too. I should have told you what is in that container and not just overwhelmed you with it.” They both smiled and met for an apologetic kiss.

“Now, that this is out of the way. I have a surprise for you.” Steve stepped around Romy and covered her eyes with his left hand, “Steve you’re smudging my glasses.” She giggled, trying to slap his hand away.

“I won’t. I promise.” He lifted his hand away so it was hovering over her glasses. “Close your eyes. No peeking.” Steve used his right to guide her into the house. He pushed the door close behind them. “You ready?”

Romy nodded quickly, her hand already trying to get his off her eyes. “Welcome Home, gorgeous.” Steve let his hand fall away from her eyes. He watched how her eyelids fluttered open, adjusting  to the light and then taking it all in.

Romy’s hand came up to cover her mouth in shock, as she wandered around the house. There was her painting hanging proudly over the sofa that faced the front door. Her sideboard had made it up the stairs, standing in the hallway leading to the bedrooms. But the best part...Steve had pushed his Dad’s desk and made space for her bookshelf and her rocking chair. Romy smiled as she fingered the throw that used to be over the sofa in the living room, now hanging over the back of the chair. He had unearthed his books from several cupboards and they stood proudly next to hers. She turned around to Steve, she bit her lip, had absolutely no clue what to say or how to say it. Romy could feel the tears coming and she looked up to the ceiling trying to stop it. A shuddered breath broke the silence between them.

“You...you don’t like it?” Steve worried.

“No” Romy shook her head, and grasped his hand, interweaving their fingers. She could Steve’s face fall a little bit. “I love it.” So much emotion behind a couple of words. “Thank you.” Her thumb moving back and forth in his palm. Romy slung her arms around his neck and pulled Steve down to meet her lips in deep kiss. Opening his lips with her tongue, she could feel him moan, his hands tightening on her hips, sliding underneath her blouse, mapping her curves. Breathless Romy mumbled against his lips “You have no idea what this means to me.”

“Actually, I do.”

When he didn’t say anything further, she tugged his hair a little, prompting him to elaborate. Steve sighed, unsure how to continue. Taking a moment to regroup, he sat down in the rocking chair, dragging Romy down in his lap, her feet dangled over the  arm rest. He took a deep breath, one hand around Romy’s back, stroking up and down her side, the other playing with her hand. “It was so much change all of a sudden. All these boxes...taking over.” Romy opened her mouth but Steve continued on. “Please don’t get me wrong, I want you here and that means also wanting your things around. I was just overwhelmed...” he let that hang  in the air for a bit.

“I’m sorry too. I should have been more tactful, I guess.” Romy’s brow furrowed as she tried to find the right words. “Talking to you and not just expect you can read my mind...” she shrugged. “I miss my family and friends, and I left a lot of things behind cause the shipping was expensive and short notice, and these are my most priced possessions. You not wanting them anywhere where people can see them. It hurt.”

“Oh gorgeous.” Steve’s head leaned against Romy’s, his nose burrowed into her hair. “I never wanted to hurt you. I get that your things don’t only include fancy underwear but also paintings and a surprisingly comfortable rocking chair.”

That got Romy chuckling “It is, isn’t it?”

The tone serious again, when Steve continued “I never had any other home but this house.” Romy cuddled in closer to him, her head resting against his shoulder. That and the soft sway of the chair felt incredible soothing to Steve. “After my Mom fake died...when I was sent to the mainland... I needed to leave everything behind. There wasn’t much space in military school and after I graduated,  it was always Navy provided accommodation. Until I came back and then I just took over all of the furniture from my Dad. Changing it means getting rid of him...” he shrugged as he trailed off.

“Oh shit Steve, I didnt event think of it that way.” Romy pulled herself up, and his face down to meet her eyes. How could she have missed that? The apology written clearly on her face.

“Hey its ok.” Steve’s lips skimmed over hers. He didn’t want her to feel bad for something she didn’t do. “I should have told you. I behaved stupidly. Trying to push you into the guestroom was cruel and I should have never done that.”

“I forgive you, if you forgive me.” Romy smiled.

“It’s a deal.” Steve returned her smile and kissed her, marking their first fight as done.

“This can’t happen again though.” Their foreheads still pressed together, breaths intermingled.

“Is there another container coming, that you haven’t told me about.” Steve teased.

“No.” Romy flicked his earlobe in retaliation. “I just mean, we need to talk about this shit. I didn’t tell you about missing my family and friends in Europe and you didn’t tell me about your Dad. We fought about something that we didn’t need to. I know we both suck at talking about things that affect us. But we are a team now...we need to share...” Romy looked at him.

“What you are saying is...no secrets?” Steve pushed her hair behind her ear.

“Yeah I guess so.”

Steve pulled a face, and Romy could see the wheels turning in his head. “I mean no secrets barring National Security stuff.” The relief on Steve’s face was palpable. “That excuse only counts for two things a year though.” Romy poked him in the chest. “Deal.” Steve laughed. They sat peacefully for a couple of moments, the chair rocking softly, their hands on each other, reassuring themselves that they were still here.

“Fuck. I completely forgot.” Steve broke the silence and jostled them out of the chair. He opened his desk drawer. “I got something for you.”

“You don’t need to get me a present just because we fought.” Romy yelped as he pulled them both back in the chair. “That’s setting a dangerous precedent.”

“No, it’s not because of that. I actually got it for you a while ago. Wanted to give it to you when I got to London.” His arms tightened around her waist. Romy’s hands on his forearms, smoothing patterns in his skin. He flipped the box open. Romy gasped, her hands tighten on him. “It’s beautiful.”

The fine bracelet shone in the sunlight streaming in. Steve took it out of the box and fastened it around Romy’s wrist. He set the largest star gently against her skin, the stone winking back at her. “The Northstar is the brightest star on the sky” His voice rumbling “and for centuries sailors and navy men have used it to navigate the seas, to guide them. Just like you guide me.”

“Oh Steve.” Romy cradled his face in her hand, the tears she managed to suppress earlier falling down her cheeks. “I love you.”

——xx——xx——

The next day, they did something that was way over due. Their fingers linked, Romy followed Steve down the gravelled lane. They came to a stop, and Steve let her fingers loose for a moment and stepped forward.

“Hi Dad, I can’t believe it’s been one more year.” Steve bend down and brushed some leafs aside. “I know it’s a bit earlier than usual for me to be here, but I have someone I want you to meet.” He stretched out his hand behind him, Romy interlaced her fingers with his and joined him on the ground.

“Dad, I want you to meet Romy. Romy this is my Dad.”

Romy leaned her head against Steve shoulder “It’s nice to finally meet you,  Mr McGarrett.”

Steve snorted “He’s dead, I don’t think he’d mind if you called him John.”

Romy pushed herself lightly into his side, Steve tightened his hold on her shoulders so the two of them wouldn’t tumble to the side.

“Well, John as you can hear he’s still a handful, but he turned out pretty amazing. So thank you!”

Steve hid his face in Romy’s hair, until this moment he didn’t realise how important it was to him that Romy ‘met’ his dad.

 

——xx——xx——

 

October 2015

Renee and Romy were sitting on the Grover’s front steps drinking coffee and waiting for the Five - 0 team finishing their 5 mile run in preparation for the Tough Mudder. “Max your outfit is definitely for the history books.” Romy grinned at the M.E’s bright yellow and green combo.

“Thank you very much, Romy. I tried to blend in today.”

“I’m sorry, sweetheart “ Renee giggled now “but I don’t think, you’ll achieve that with your choice.”

“Really?” Max looked disappointed “Sabrina had assured me, it would.”

The two women were saved from answering when the others approached the front yard. Danny’s whining could be heard from three houses down.

“If you excuse me, ladies. This is my cue.” Max turned around and looked at the stop watch hanging around his neck.

“Yes, when Captain Grover, told me you guys were participating in the Tough Mudder charity event. I happily offered my services as Team Doctor. I will also be your strength and conditioning coach.”

“Well you got your work cut out with this one.” Kono pointed behind her at Danny.

“No doubt. And I apologise in advance for what I am about to do to you.”

The team looked confused at Max. What at the heck was he on about. While Romy and Renee hid their smiles behind their coffee cups.

“Doctor!” Lou gave the go ahead and Max picked up the garden hose next to him, at the blow of Lou’s whistle he sprayed the team from top to bottom with water.

“Woah.”

“Yeah”

“Hey” The team exclaimed and tried to escape the spray.

“Stop it Max.”

“Come on.”

But Max and Lou just watched them gleefully.

“Enough, Max. Enough. Enough” Steve tried to get the doctor to turn of the hose.

Lou gave max a nod and he turned off the garden hose. “Ok folks” he nodded for them to follow him to the front garden.

“Morning.” Renee and Romy greeted them.

“What are you doing here?” Steve stepped up to them and greeted Romy with a kiss, keeping a distance as to not cover her in sweat.

“Couldn’t really miss this, now could I?” She let her eyes rove over his sweat glistening body.

“Guys please!” Danny whined behind them.

“Go.” Romy nudged Steve away from her “ I think your coach needs you.”

“Ok folks, now that we’ve all been sufficiently saturated. Welcome to training camp.” Lou unveiled two pools filled with water and the other one with mud.

“Tough Mudder is a 12 mile course, with punishing obstacles designed to test both your physical and mental strength.” On cue Max hit play on a video showing on his tablet. Lou went through the obstacles with glee, pointing out their difficulties. Romy and Renee had abandoned the porch steps and leaned now over the porch railing continuing to observe. Romy and Steve however weren’t really paying attention to either Grover, both of them looking at each other small smirks on their faces. Renee nudged her friend with her elbow “Could you please stop eye fucking Steve while we are around.”

“I don’t know what you mean.” Romy countered, all the while tracing her boyfriends arms with her eyes.

“You know exactly what I mean. Shouldn’t you be all domesticated now and arguing about dirty sicks and dishes?”

“Really dirty socks and dishes. Have you met Steve?” Romy pulled a face. “I’m sorry. We only had time for quickies the last two weeks. This is the longest I got to look at him in awhile.”

Before Renee could tease her about ‘only quickies’ their attention was brought back to the team in the yard.

“Didn’t you do enough of this in BUDS training?” Danny asked Steve.

Steve shook himself out of his daydream “What’s that got to do with me?”

“Alright folks, we’ve been concentrating on the tough, now lets see what puts mud in mudder.” Lou gestured to the pool full of mud. “Come on lets get dirty.”

“Alright. I’m game.” Steve stepped forward, earning him a wolf whistle from Romy. Eliciting a groan from all of them around them, but Steve just smiled at her. It’s been way too long that they spend some proper time together.

“Ah ah ah. Wait a minute.” Lou stopped him “Tough Mudder is a team sport, as we all know, a team is only so strong as its weakest link.” All eyes went to Danny, and Steve clapped him on the shoulder, tagging him.

“Williams! You are up first.”

“Why?” Danny complaint. “I don’t wanna do it. He just said, he’d do it. So why are you telling me to do it.”

“Come on, a little mud its not gonna kill you.” Kono butted in with Chin piling on “Yeah you got this, Danny.”

“Nah, I don’t. I don’t wanna do it.” Danny reminded Romy now of a toddler not wanting to do nap time.

“Ok!” Lou had enough. “What is this. The UN? I’m giving you till the count of three to dive into the mud or everyone gets the hose.”

“I’ll take the hose!” Danny was fed up. Lou’s face was hilarious, he had not thought Danny would prefer the water again.

He shook his head and started counting “3, 2, 1”

“Alright.” Danny knew when he was beat, and stepped onto the edge of the people. He hadn’t expected Kono, though. She unceremoniously pushed him into the mud. Unimpressed Danny waded through the mud, while the others cheered him on. After everyone had a turn through both pools and hosing the mud off. They shared a big breakfast in the yard.

“Didn’t you had a meeting or somethin’ this morning.” Steve had showered and dressed for the day, as he helped himself to a bacon sandwich from the table.

“Got pushed back a couple of hours and I feel like we haven’t seen each other in forever.”

“Gorgeous we live together...” Steve countered.

“Yeah, and when was the last time we both were home before 8pm at the same time. Or not too tired to do anything but sleep or a quickie in the shower?” she pouted now. Steve thought back, shit she was right.

“You know what, the day after Tough Mudder. Just you and me. No cell phones, no outside communication. We just lock ourselves in and...”

“Sounds perfect!” Romy leaned up to kiss him.

The ringing of several cell phones interrupted their moment. “Sorry.” Steve mumbled against her lips. “Go I see you tonight.” She pressed her lips against his quickly, before letting him go.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy could not believe it - today was the day. No interruptions, no outside world. Just her and Steve. She stretched languidly not willingly yet to join the real world. Her hand met the hard body of Steve next to her in bed. Romy smiled “Morning.” Her voice low and still full of sleep.

“Morning.” Steve cuddled closer to her, his head resting on her chest. He smiled as he moved her sleepmask off her eyes. “Sleep well?”

“Hmm.. yeah.” Romy let her fingers bury in his hair. “Do you have a plan for today?”

Steve lifted his head, “I thought we said no plans.”

“What, was I born yesterday? You haven’t been idle one day in your life.” Her fingers flexing in his hair.

“I resent that notion.” His lips finding hers, pulling the sheet over both their heads. Locking the world out for a little while longer.

When Steve’s phone rang for the 5th time in a row, Romy had enough “Just answer it, Schnuffi. Danny won’t give up until you talk to him.”

“No! I told him not available today.” Steve huffed as he regarded his phone in Romy’s hand with a wary look.

“Tell him that in person so he’ll stop calling.” The phone had finally stopped ringing. Steve grinned triumphantly “Later!” He took the phone out of Romy’s hand and threw it on the nightstand, busying himself the creamy expanse that was his girlfriends neck. Both of them groaned as his phone started up again. “What?!” He ground out through his teeth.

“I’m really sorry Steve.”

“Chin?”

“Yeah, its me. Who did you expect?”

“Danny has been calling me non stop.”

“Oh, yeah? Don’t know what that’s about, but we need a hand.”

Steve groaned and fell back into the pillows. “Today?”

Romy’s head popped up next to him, she gestured to the phone. Really?! They couldn’t even get one day?

“A case got flagged by HPD with Navy involvement, but they’re not getting very far.”

“Chin...” Steve’s voice was all disappointment and frustration.

“I know, man. I’m really sorry, but your connections could...”

“Yeah, yeah. I know.” He closed his eyes, when he opened them Romy had her phone in hand as well. She looked exasperated. He nudged her until she looked up at him. What is it?

Romy pulled a face in response to his silent question and held out her phone. A message from Ani about a big event that has been complaining at the new hotel they had just started managing.

“Steve you still with me?” Chin asked.

“Yes. I’m on my way.”

“Thanks man.” Chin hung up.

“We really suck at not working.” Steve announced.

“We do!” Romy shook her head in defeat.

They got showered and dressed, before heading to their cars, Steve stopped Romy.

“Tonight, lets stay home.”

She kissed him “No phones.”

“Just the two of us.” Steve pecked her lips.

“No interruptions.” Another kiss.

“Build a fire outside.” Kiss.

“No make up.” Kiss.

“Clothes optional.” Steve grinned at her, kissing Romy one more time before separating.

——xx——xx——

Steve had come home and showered quickly, dressed in sweatpants and his old Navy shirt he joined Romy on the lanai, where she had just opened the bottle of champagne she filched from the hotel.

“Just so you know, I turned off my phone.” Steve announced himself.

“Me too.” She brought out the fancy glasses, they found when rearranging their furniture. A Mid Century set with champagne saucers instead of flutes. Romy had fallen in love with it instantly.

“I cheers to that.” Steve clinked his glass with hers “But actually I’m not thirsty.” He smirked and plucked the glass out of Romy’s hand, setting them to the side, before he pulled her in for a deep kiss.

A persistent knock interrupted them again, with a disappointed sigh they separated. “Shall we get that?”

“No.” She grinned at him and continued their kiss. Steve’s hands had just made their way underneath her linen dress and massaged her ass, when a too familiar voice called out. “Guys. I know you’re home. Let me in! Or I’m using my key.”

Danny!

Steve scoffed, but Romy entangled herself from him.

“What are you doing?” His hands trailing behind her body.

“Letting him in.”

“No. We said no interruptions. He will never learn, if we don’t stick to our rules.”

“Please! I need to talk to you.”

“He sounds horrible.” Romy made her way to the door.

“Cause he is horrible.” Steve grouched, following Romy to the door.

Romy opened the door and revealed a downtrodden but at the same time agitated Danny Williams.

“Here!” He dumped a white box into Romy’s hands, storming in the house dragging Steve by his arm out to the lanai. Romy just stared after him and then opened the box, a massive selection of Malasadas. Danny must be feeling really horrible.

——xx——xx——

“Talk! Before I dump you in the ocean.” Steve was not impressed with Danny’s sudden appearance.

“Me and Melissa.” All fight had left Danny, he kind of inflated on himself. “We’ve been fighting, a lot.”

Now that explains his shitty mood for the last couple of weeks.

“Why didn’t you say anything?” Steve wanted to know.

That fired Danny up again “Well quite frankly cause its your fault.”

Steve couldn’t believe it. How in god’s name could a fight between Danny and Melissa be his fault. “My fault?”

“Yes. Yours and hers!” Danny yelled, gesturing wildly to the house where Romy waited.

“Her?” Steve got mad now himself, not enough that Danny interrupted their quality time, but then to disrespect Romy by not calling her by her name. Now that pissed him off.

“Sorry - Romy.” Danny realised his mistake quickly. “You and Romy. Being all you and Romy.”

“Ok.” Steve was confused “I need a little bit more than that.”

“Melissa pointed out that you guys have moved in together, being all domestic and loved up. And that you have not been together as long as she and I have.” Danny started pacing the length of the lanai.

“Again that’s my” Steve cleared his throat “our fault how?”

“Apparently its not ok for us to be on a different page, cause we’ve been together for longer.”

“You do realise, you’re not making any sense at all!”

“Don’t I fucking know it. I have no clue what she wants from me. I told her that what we have is great, and I don’t want to change anything. Apparently that wasn’t good enough.” His raised voice and his desperate tone now made Romy come back out onto the lanai, she was still holding the Malasadas. Her and Steve’s eyes met.

“Don’t do that!” Danny exclaimed and gestured between the two of them.

“What?” Steve and Romy said at the same time.

“That talking with the eyes thing. That is what Melissa meant. We can’t do that.”

“Danny?” Now it was Romy’s turn, her voice much softer in her confusion. Danny lapped at the chance, what was he thinking talking to Steve first any way. The dude couldn’t identify his feelings even if they bit him in the ass. Case in point the woman before him actually needed to leave the country before he owned up to loving her. Romy would be much more sympathetic and be able to help.

“Romy!” He took the box of sweets from her and dropped them on the lanai table, before grasping her hands. “Help me.”

Romy hurt for her friend, and her face showed it. “How can I help.”

“What shall I do?”

Romy squeezed Danny’s hands comfortingly “I’m sorry, babe. But it looks like Melissa is looking for different type of relationship than what you are currently in.”

“But it was working great.”

“Doesn’t mean she wants something different now.” Romy shrugged. “What do you want?”

“Everything to stay how it is.”

Steve sighed behind Danny, and there goes their evening for two, he went inside to get another champagne glass. Danny wasn’t going to leave anytime soon.

“Doesn’t sound like that’s possible.”

Danny’s head hung low, as he let go of Romy’s hands. Steve came back out, glass in hand, he kissed Romy’s temple. Their friend lifted his head and picked up the box of Malasadas opening the lid. “Help me eat my problems.”

“Uh..” Romy and Steve shared another look. They would never send Danny away, with or without sweets. “Of course.”

They moved back inside and settled on the sofa. Danny in the middle, holding the box of Malasadas.

“When do I get to be happy?” He asked after his third or fourth sweet, but who was counting. Steve patted Danny’s back, his feet on the ottoman and his head resting against the back of the sofa. He loved his buddy really, but this was not how the evening was supposed to go.

Romy didn’t know what to say either, so she offered Danny another Malasada “Chocolate?”

“Thank you.” Danny mumbled around his treat.

“For what?” Romy’s hand was still on Danny’s arm, squeezing it every couple of minutes.

“For letting me crash your evening.”

“No problem.” Steve stole a piece of Malasada from the box. “Especially if you’re bringing treats.”

Steve stretched and moved his arm along the back of sofa, catching Romy’s hand in his. They looked at each other behind Danny’s head, their fingers tracing patterns on each other. It wasn’t the evening of champagne drinking, cuddling in front of the fire maybe playing some old records that they planned. But it didn’t matter.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Halloween 2015

Steve got out of the car gingerly, his hip smarted a bit and he knew his face was pretty bruised.

Romy stood in the door way distributing candy to a group of kids. “Your costume is amazing sir!” One of them shouted as they ran past him off to the next house.

“I need you do to do me a favour.” He announced himself

Sure what is it? Romy waved to the last trick or treaters and then looked up at him. He was beaten up badly, the look in eyes made her shiver.

“Steve !” She came closer, stepping out on the front porch, where Steve was leaning against the railing. Her hand cradled his face, thumb smoothing over his blemished skin.

“I’m fine.” He tried but Romy’s gave him a look and he conceded. “He killed women that reminded him off his dead girlfriend, so he could sew her back together. I killed him.”

Compassion shone through her eyes, as she pulled him into her arms.

“One of my victims was a German student. She disappeared over a year ago.” Steve mumbled into her neck.

“Ok” Romy had no idea where he was going with this.

“Can you...can you help me call the family?”

“Steve, I...” she pulled away a little, trying to get a read of his face.

“I know this is highly unorthodox , but I don’t know how well they speak English and the German police is going there,but I want to tell them before. They need to know. They’ve been waiting too long.” He pleaded with her.  “Romy.”

“I’ll do it.” She nodded. Of course she would, anything he asked for, especially if he needed to carry the burden of taking the life of another human being. She couldn’t help with that, but she could do this for him.

“Thank you.” Relief seeping through his body. Romy could practically see some off the tension leaving his body.

“You need to tell me what to say though...I have no clue.”

——xx——xx——

They drove back to the palace. Sitting down behind Steve’s desk, she dialled the phone number that Steve pointed out on the file. It rang three times, until a woman picked up

“Guten Morgen, spreche ich mit Frau Segert?” (Good Morning, am I speaking with Mrs Segert?)

“Ja, ich bin Frau Segert. Um was geht es?” (Yes, this is Mrs Segert. May I ask what’s this about?)

“Frau Segert, mein Name ist Romy Erhardt, ich bin Teil der Five - 0 task force in Hawaii.” Romy swallowed. “Frau Segert...” (Mrs Segert, my name is Romy Erhardt. I’m part of the 5-0 task force here in Hawaii.)

“Hawaii...Monika...haben sie meine Tochter....” (Hawaii...Monika...my daughter...)

“Frau Segert, es tut mir sehr leid ihnen mitteilen zu müssen dass die Leiche ihrer Tochter gestern gefunden wurde.” (Mrs Segert, I’m truly sorry to inform you, that the body of your daughter was found yesterday.)

Silence on the other end of the line.

“Frau Segert, sind sie noch dran?” (Mrs Segert, Are you still there?)

“Ja...entschuldigen Sie...” (yes, apologies...)

“Beamte ihrer ortlichen Polizei sollten” Romy looked at the piece of paper Steve held in front of her. “Jeden Augenblick bei ihnen vorbei kommen. Sie werden alle Informationen von ihnen erhalten. Wir wollten....” (members of the local Police, should be with you momentarily. They will provide you with all detailed information. We just wanted...) Steve shook his head softly, he could hear Romy was going to go off script, he made a gesture to wrap it up. Romy nodded jerkily. “Unser aufrichtigstes Beileid, Frau Segert.” (Our sincerest condolences, Mrs Segert.) She hung up the moment she heard a door bell ring, the German police obviously having reached the house.

Her hands shook on the receiver, Steve pulled her close.

“I never want to do that again.”

“Thank you.” Steve whispered. “Let’s go home.” He pulled her off the chair and lead her out of the office.

——xx——xx——

Romy had just come back from the bathroom, after a round of intense love making. She cuddled back underneath the sheet, Steve enveloping her in his arms.

“Should I ever die in a freak plane crash, you’re going to get all crazy and start trying to sew me together out of body parts?”

“What?” Steve lifted his head out of her hair. “Where did that come from?”

“I mean what he did was inexcusable and horrible. But he loved her so much, he couldn’t imagine living without her. So he tried to rebuilt her.” Romy scooted further in his arms.

“Gorgeous, the only way you’re dying in a plane crash is with my body under yours trying to shield you from the impact.” Steve said dead serious. How could she even imaging dying and leaving him here on his own.

“My seal to protect and serve.” Romy turned her head slightly and kissed Steve shoulder.

“Always.”

——xx——xx——

Notes:

Ok, wow that was a mammoth chapter...are you still with me? Your comments always make my day!

Chapter 20: Happy Birthday to me

Summary:

A birthday, an unwelcome party crasher and Gabriel Waincroft rearing his ugly head.

Notes:

Hello lovelies,
How are you all?
Can you believe that yesterday was the first birthday of The Romy Files?? So I thought, how better to celebrate our anniversary chapter then with the birthday of our very own Romy.
Last year I was posting the first chapter of this little baby of mine from a beautiful beach. This year I’m posting from my bedroom at my parents house (Lockdown always seems to hit when I visit them in Germany).
I intended this story to be more of a collection of one shots, but now 20 chapters in it has become so much more.
Thank you so much for all your love you have been showing my writing and my characters. Your comments and feedback have made me smile so much, I didn’t think possible this year.
Cannot wait to hear your thoughts on this one!
Enjoy xx

Warnings: Smut, Swearing a lot of swearing, gun shots and violence
Episode: Season 6 - Episode 7 & 8

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you,! Happy Birthday dear Romy! Happy Birthday to you!!

Romy stopped short in the lanai door, the laptop perched proudly on the table, with Steve standing next to it, as the slight off key singing continued. Romy clasped her hands, a big smile on her face “Thank you!! Danke!” her eyes found Steves ‘I love you.’ she mouthed. Steve handed Romy a mug of coffee. “Happy Birthday.” he whispered in her ear, pressing his lips to her cheek. 

“Thanks.” 

She couldn’t believe, how he had organised this four way video call behind her back. All her favourite people from across the world were on the line. Kristin even had dressed up her nephew with a party hat for the occasion. Together they gorged on pancakes and a cheeky mimosa, while her friends and family had dinner. It almost felt like they were actually here. 

“So what’s the plan for you today?” Lars asked after her parents and girls exited the call. 

“Dinner with the O’hana here, lowkey, it’s not like its a big birthday.” Romy didn’t stop her digital peek a boo play with her nephew. 

“What nothing special planned? Who are you and what have you done with my sister?” Paul butted in. 

“Let her be you two.” Kristin elbowed her husband. “Actually I don’t think you want to know what they planned for after dinner?” 

The two brothers looked at each other, then the realisation dawned on them. “What no…eww…that’s my little sister….” 

Giggling Romy leaned into Steve, who couldn’t decide if he should be mortified or enjoying the obvious discomfort of Romy’s brothers. 

“Aww Schnuffi.” she patted his cheek “Are you reconsidering our evening plans.” 

Steve captured Romy’s hand and pressed a kiss to the inside of her wrist, making her shudder “Never.” 

“And on that disgusting note - we are signing off. Happy Birthday, Schwesterherz.” the telltale ping indicated the end of the video call. 

“Finally found a way to shut my brothers up.” Romy let her fingers wander into Steve hair and he didn’t waste a second of pushing the laptop close and pulling Romy into his lap. They kissed lazily, the sun warming their skin, hands exploring. It didn’t matter how often they touched, they revelled in the known, how to make the other shudder and delighted when they found a new patch of skin making them gasp. Their movements slow and steady, no need to rush, hands pushing up dresses, tugging down shorts. Lips connecting and separating to nip and bite. Steve groaned as he felt Romy’s heat enveloping him, his head falling backwards exposing his neck. He felt her clench at the same time as her finger nails scrapped along his torso, down to his stomach and back up again. He grasped her hips, forcing eye contact as he bucked up. Romy’s hands came up to his cheeks. For a moment everything was still. It was almost too much. He rocked softly and revelled in the sight of her. Mouth open, skin glistening in the morning sun, she looked like goddess. Romy moved against him, eyes never breaking contact. His finger at her clit, moving in just the right pattern, she couldn’t hold on any longer, she shattered around him. Drawing him out, squeezing him in just the right way, he shuddered his own release. 

Romy slumped forward, her arms around him, her head on his shoulder, her heart beating a mile a minute. Steve brushed her hair away gently, so he could see her face. Kissing her temple, he said “Love you.” 

A slow and wide smile grew on Romy’s face “Happy Birthday to me, indeed.” 

 

——xx——xx——

 

Steve parked the car at Rainbow Bay Marina and turned to Romy “You ready?” 

“Are you finally going tell me what’s going on?” Steve birthday present had been cryptic at best. The card he’d presented her at dinner with the others had read: 

‘Be ready on Saturday at 8am - Swimsuit and trainers are mandatory. 

I love you

Steve’ 

“Something you’ve been wanting to do for over a year.” He teased her further, still not revealing anything. Romy wracked her brain, but came up blank. 

“Come on. You know when we get there.” Steve took the cool box and their backpacks out of the trunk and lead Romy down the Marina. 

“No!” she suddenly exclaimed, as they stopped in front of a boat. “No way!” 

“What?” Steve decided to play dumb. 

“Don’t…please don’t tease me and then suddenly take me to the movies or something.” 

“I would never” Steve shook his head at her. 

“Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!” Romy enveloped him in an exuberant hug, bouncing on her toes.

“You don’t even know what it is. I could still drive this boat to the nearest cinema.” Steve grinned over his shoulder, starting to load the boat with their things. 

“Steven McGarrett if you’re not taking me snorkelling…I swear!”  

He laughed, as he extended his hand, helping Romy onto the boat. “I wouldn’t dare.” 

——xx——xx——

Romy sat next to Steve, sunglasses perched on her nose and she relaxed. The water, music playing and her man looking incredibly delicious in his off duty look of shorts and a top. She smiled, couldn’t quite believe that this was her life. 

Steve turned around looking at her, a content smile playing on his face as well. Romy scooted forward a little, pressing a kiss to his left shoulder before resting her chin on it. 

“You good?” he asked. 

She let out a contented breath “Perfect.” 

“Gotta say you’re ambitious.” Romy broke the silence after a few minutes. 

“What?”

“Most guys would just buy a birthday present, not organise surprise video calls, dinner and a secret trip.”  

“Go big or go home, right?” Steve declared smugly. 

“I guess so.” Romy shook her head against his shoulder. 

“You know” Steve began “I always wanted to snorkel the Northwestern islands. My old man used to promise me, he would take me out here when I was a kid, but you know we never made it.” Steve looked to the side, and swallowed, shit this was supposed to be a fun day out. Romy squeezed his hand on the steering wheel, he didn’t need to say more. 

“You’re dad was a good man.” 

“He was.” Steve turned his head, his lips brushed Romy’s forehead. “He was a very good man.” He smiled, glad she understood. 

“This is the best birthday present.” Romy sat up a little, admiring her surroundings. Happy that they managed to carve out quality time for each other.

“Mind if I take the wheel?” 

Steve looked back at her, questioning “You’ve never driven one of these before.”

“And? Now’s the perfect time to learn. Didn’t you say, every Hawaiian should know how to steer a boat?” She reminded him of his argument with Danny on her birthday. 

“Come on please.” Romy started to nudge him out of the way. 

“Ok..ok..” he nudged her back. “Are you pushing me out of the way, is that’s what’s happening?” Steve laughed. 

“Move over.” Romy hip checked him. 

“Alright…alright.” His hands on her hips, as he slid behind her. He explained all the different buttons and gauges on the dashboard, but he realised soon that he hadn’t Romy’s full attention. 

“Go ahead” he nodded to the gas. 

“Really?” Romy’s eyes widened in excitement. “Go for it.” Steve’s hand grasped onto the railing and the other still on Romy’s hips. Romy laughed out loud as the boat sped up.  “Whoo!” 

“Slow down a bit. I didn’t plan for us to die in a boating accident.” 

“Oh come on, Steve! You’re usually the one speeding.” 

“On a highway pursuing a suspect.” 

“Trust me!” Romy exclaimed. 

“I trust you with my life, but not driving a boat.” 

“Rude!” Romy pouted as Steve took over the driving again, but to her delight he kept up the speed. Coming to a stop right before a beautiful little island  “This is it” he announced.

“It’s beautiful.” Romy was in awe. “and no-one’s living here?” 

“No. All these little islands are uninhabited.” Steve watched as Romy shimmied out of her high waisted jeans short, her top had left her during a little kissing break about half an hour ago. The marine blue one piece highlighted her curves and Steve traced her body with his eyes. 

“Stop looking at me.” Romy said bashfully. She was sure she had gained another pound or so since coming back to Hawaii, her legs were as bruised and slightly wobbly as ever. 

“I love looking at you.” Steve said with reverence. “Can’t believe I got that lucky.” He hugged her to him for a quick kiss. 

“You hear that?” he asked leaning against the boat with her in his arms.

“What?” Romy raised her head to him. 

“Absolutely nothing” he closed his eyes, savouring the sound. “This place is good for the soul.” 

“It really is.” Romy pulled on her flippers. 

“The visibility is sick. It should be great today” Steve looked into the water, he could already see the amazing wildlife. “You ready?” he pulled his snorkel and swim goggles on. 

“Yep. After you.”

“No..no..after you. Have to pull the chivalry card here, or I’ll never hear the end of it from Danny. Ladies fi…” with that Romy pushed him backwards of the boat and into the water. Laughing she watched him emerge. 

“Schnuffi…the Navy made you way too polite.” 

“You think you are funny?” 

“You think I’m funny.” Romy retorted.

“You got me good.” 

Romy sat sideways on the edge putting her gear on, looking up when Steve shouted “Hey!” He hit boat, the force made her tumble into the water too. She shrieked loudly. 

“How do you like that?” Steve asked as she came back up. Romy swam over to him laughing, her arms around his neck, they kissed. Breaking apart when air became necessary 

“You ready?” Steve asked and the two set off. No words could describe the underwater world here. Sea turtles, fishes, little caves, sting rays and of course reefs as far as the eye could see. Steve had one eye and hand on Romy all the time, it was her first proper snorkelling trip after all. The sun breaking through the water, caught Romy letting her shimmer in all the rainbow colours. Steve smiled at her figure the reflections dancing along her figure, her face despite the goggles was shone with fascination and wonder.

Coming up for air, she was speechless. “That was incredible. I mean … the amount of species. This was…”

“I’m glad.” Steve pulled his snorkel off. “Hey you wanna do some exploring?” 

“Yeah.” Romy paddled to stay a float. 

“I wanna show you something.” 

“Ok..I doubt it can top this part though.” Romy swam closer to him and then towards the boat.

Steve steered them towards the island, sunk the anchor and then off to the island. They started off a trail from the beach through thick rainforest, their hands interlinked, chatting away. Steve’s latest case, Nahele’s making it on the track team, Romy first day as a volunteer with Planned Parenthood. It was nice just to talk, no cell phone interrupting them. 

“This is it.” Steve announced as they made it out of the forest onto a clearing. 

“This is amazing.” Romy turned on her axis, trying to take it all in. 

“Told you.” The views of the mountains around them, a little piece of nature not touched by humanity. “Its incredible, isn’t it?” 

“Steve smile.” Romy had pulled her phone out, 

“Hah?” he turned around, in the exact moment Romy hit the button. His face pulled awkwardly, she got him mid talk. Laughingly “I have to take another one?” 

“Why?” He was nothing if not photogenic. 

“Trust me on this. You kinda look like you photobomb Peter Lik” 

Steve nodded. 

“Ready. Say Cheese.” 

He lifted his arms up and smiled big. 

“Hows that?” 

“That’s a keeper.” 

“I’m gonna need one of you.” Steve took Romy’s phone, while she got ready “Now I’m a gentleman and give you time to get ready.” 

Romy poked her tongue out “Yeah..Yeah” she attempted to fix her hair, trying not to look like she put her finger in a power socket. 

“Beautiful” Steve pressed the shutter. 

“Look at that.” Steve handed her the phone. He literally just managed to get her forehead on it. 

“Very funny” she laughed. 

“I’ll take another one.” he attempted to grab her phone. 

“Oh no, Mister you are done taking photos.” 

“You gotta be in one photograph from your birthday present.” 

Romy scoffed, as she pressed a couple of buttons on the screen. “I will and that’s why god invented the selfie.” 

“I bow to your intelligence.” Steve teased and slung his arm around her waist pulling her into his side. Both of them sporting matching smiles as Romy took the pictures. 

“So much better.” She proclaimed after checking them out. Steve looking at her phone over her shoulder. 

“Send them to me will you?” 

“Sure.” Romy frowned “As soon as we have service again.” 

He looked at his watch “We should head back…fancy a shortcut to the beach?” Steve extended his hand to Romy, interlacing their fingers and they headed off on another trail. 

——xx——xx——

Steve looked around the woods trying to catch his bearings. 

“Whats up?” Romy asked as he became a more agitated with each step.

Furrowing his brows, Steve turned, he must have missed a turn. “We should have been back by the beach by now.” 

“You want to turn around?” 

“I’m sorry. I really thought I had memorised all the trails Kamika gave me.” 

“Dont be silly.” Romy squeezed their fingers. “We just turn around and walk back the way we came. What?” Something had grabbed Steve’s attention.

“You see that?” he pointed to something between the trees. 

“Yeah.” Romy squinted, she had forgone her glasses today and the shape was a little bit blurry. “What is that?” 

Steve pulled her along to the covered area. Inspecting the the foliage he noticed a cover and pulled “Its a plane.” What was plane doing here in the middle of the jungle? What was even more suspicious,  “This thing is intact. It’s pristine. Theres no way it crash landed here.” he finished his thought aloud.

“What's it doing here?” Romy wondered. He didn’t had time to answer her, as suddenly gunshots broke the silence. A bullet hit the plane behind them. Spinning around, Steve tried to find the source, but couldn’t see a shooter. He tightened his hold on Romy’s hand and ran in the opposite direction “Move, move!” he dragged Romy behind him, trying to keep them low and out of the sight. “Keep moving!” 

“Who is that?” Romy knew this was a stupid question, but damn she was getting shot at. She didn’t think she could come up with an intelligent one if she tried. 

“I don't know. Keep moving.” Steve pushed tree branches out of his way. He could feel Romy starting to slow down “Keep moving.” He pulled at her hand a little “We gotta keep moving. Come on, Romy!” 

Once he felt they put some distance between them and the shooter, he pushed them into a covered position. Both of them breathing heavily, and he could feel Romy shaking next to him. “Shh…shhh” Steve tried to calm her, while he fumbled in his backpack for this phone. Damnit no signal.

“Let me see your phone.” Romy handed it over, but no luck on hers either. 

Finally he turned to her. Her face was pale and sweaty, she was shaking so badly the leafs rustled around them. It tore at Steve to see her so scared, biting his lip he cradled her face gently in his hands. His eyes boring into hers, “Everything's gonna be okay, all right? Everything's gonna be okay.” his hands making it to her hair and upper body, he needed to be sure this was just shock and not her being shot. She wasn’t hit, which made it marginally easier for him to breath. He heard the cracking of tree branches coming closer, next to him Romy was still softly whimpering trying to get her breathing under control. Steve pulled out his knife from the leg holster, with his other hand he covered Romy’s mouth. Carefully he lifted the blade, using the reflection to scope out where the shooter was heading. Romy was still shaking, her breathing becoming almost none existent when the guy passed them. Steve breathed out slowly, they had lost him for now. Now he needed Romy to calm down, he needed her with him and not collapsing into shock, one of his hand still cradled her cheek “Listen to me. Clearly, this guy's upset that we found his plane. Okay?”

“What are we gonna do? He could keep shooting at us all day. No one's gonna hear it.” Thoughts were jumbling in Romy’s head, none of them making much sense right now. 

“You're gonna do two things. First of all, you're gonna breathe in for four seconds. Then you're gonna breathe out for four seconds.It's called combat breathing. It helps with the stress.” his hand on her neck, trying to feel her pulse. “Now do what I'm doing, in…” Steve breathed with her and he could feel her pulse settling down. 

“Okay. What's the second?” Romy asked. 

“Second thing is, you're gonna stay calm.” 

Calm? Did he really just told her to stay calm when someone was actively shooting at them. “Yeah, as soon as he stops shooting, I promise.” she snarked. 

Steve was relieved. “You just made a joke. That's great. If you're making jokes, we're making progress.”

“No, we are not making progress. Trust me, we are not making progress.” Apparently getting shot at made her punchy too on top of being panicked. 

“Listen to me.” He implored. “I'm not going to let anything happen to you. Okay?” Romy still looked ready to faint any moment. “Okay?” He asked again.  

“Okay.” Romy nodded. “What's your plan?”

“This guy's got a gun; we don't have a gun, okay?” Way to point out the obvious here, Steve. Romy’s fingers dogged deep into her leg, trying to keep steady. 

“So we need to find our boat and get the hell off this island. That's my plan.” 

That sounded simple enough to do. She could do that. 

“Okay?” Steve looked at her, waiting for her go ahead. 

“Okay.” Romy nodded, getting ready for another mad rund around this island. 

“Come on.” Steve grabbed their backpack and her hand, prowling carefully forward. Running through the forest, the only thought in Romy’s head was ‘I’ll never complain about running, ever again.” Out of breath she came to stand next to Steve on the beach. 

Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! 

“That boat was our only way off the island.” ‘Way to state the obvious there, Romy.’ She berated herself as they watched their boat burn bright. 

——xx——xx——

Steve and Romy watched from their hideout, as the guy spoke to a woman on a satellite phone. Steve eyed him carefully, he needed to get Romy off that forsaken island, if that guy had back up coming they would be in even more trouble. 

“So we gotta move.” He turned to her “Back to the plane. There could be a weapon there or a radio or at least something that tells us who these people are and gives us an advantage. Okay?” 

She usually loved how he checked in with her on things, but this, this was so far out of her skill set it wasn’t even in the same universe. 

“You want to go back to the plane?” She wanted to make sure she heard right. 

“Yeah. It's the last place these guys are gonna look, unless you got a better idea?” Steve squeezed her hand. 

“Sorry, I’m fucking terrified. This is...your playing field. Of course we had back to the plane.” Romy shook her head.

“Okay, good.” Steve kissed her softly, he didn’t know if it was for her or for him. He just wanted to feel her close, a little reminder. They were going to get off that island. 

“Let's go.” Romy put on a brave front and got up. 

“Wait.” 

“What?” 

“I know a better way.” Suddenly the map came back to Steve. 

“Is this you pitching another shortcut? Cause the last one didn't work out so good.” Steve smiled if Romy was teasing, she was getting over her shock. 

“Come on.” He pulled on her hand, directing her back to where they came from. 

“Where's this shortcut?” She asked after a couple of minutes clearing the forest and balancing stones set in a river. 

“Right up there.” Steve pointed to the waterfall right in front of them. “But we have to cross directly over the falls.”

“Those falls? You gotta be kidding me? Steve!” Romy shook her head, what was he thinking, she’d never make it. 

“We need to, Romy.” He stared at the fall as well, he knew it was steep and incredible dangerous, but from what he remembered Kamika telling him, the quickest way to cross the island. “I hate to...but we don’t have a choice, ok.” 

Romy nodded bravely “Let’s go.” 

Climbing that waterfall was the most dangerous thing she’d ever done, and she ever would do. She tried to smile, every time Steve turned around to make sure she was ok. 

“You okay?” He shouted over the noise of the water rushing next to them. 

Romy snorted, nope she was not ok. “I'm fine. Keep going.” 

“See, it's not that bad, right?” Steve tried to motivate. 

“Don’t!” Romy ground out, her arms were aching and she was sure several scrap wounds covered her legs and arms.

“I'm sorry, but it's gonna save us a lot of time.” Steve had reached the top of the waterfall. “First hurdle done.” He pulled Romy the last climb up next to him. “We need to cross here, the current is really strong.” His eyes wandered over Romy, she looked better know, exhausted but no longer like shock was going to claim her any second. “I’ll go first and you follow. Be careful.” He implored. 

“Careful and watch my step, right.” Romy attempted a weak smile. 

“You got it.” He let go of her and started to make his way from stone to stone, always checking if the stone was secure before setting a foot onto it. Romy followed him more carefully trying to use the exact same stones he did. The next step was too far for her, she stepped into the water, the stone under her back foot started to wobble and give away.

“Romy!” Steve saw her stagger - His breath stuck in his throat. 

“I'm okay. I'm good.” 

“Good work.” He closed his arms around her, when she made to the other side and kissed her “You hurt?” 

“Piece of cake.” Romy pressed her face into his neck for a second. Just breath, she told herself. 

“What's next?” She had let go of him and rotated her neck, everything started to hurt. 

Steve looked around, getting his bearings. “Through there, it's just another half mile to the plane.” Before he could do anything else they were shot at again! Pop! Pop! Pop! 

“Get down!” He pulled Romy down and they took off. She had no idea where Steve was heading, everything started to look the same on this island. 

“Ok, he means business.”

“You think?” Romy shrieked. 

“Hey!” he shook her slightly, trying to get her attention. “We’ll get off this island, but it seems he’s hell bent on finding us. At the moment he still has the gun, we need to get that off him. Level the playing field.” 

“How...how do you plan to do that?” 

Steve gave her a look

“Ok..stupid question. What do you want me to do?”

That was his woman “When he drops the gun, you grab it.” 

“Me? Grab...” Romy was babbling now “grabbing the gun. Of course, the woman never having held a gun, wields the gun.” 

“Romy!” Steve stopped her outburst, they didn’t have time for her to unspool. She could do it tonight at home, but not now. 

“Got it...Grab the gun.” 

Steve held up his finger, he could hear the guy approaching. He put Romy into position and climbed up the tree himself. They waited with baited breath, Romy tried to smile up to Steve sitting in his perch. She knew she was freaking him out, but fuck of fuck, she was not police or crime fighting material. Taking another steadying breath, she flattened herself against the tree. Leaves were crushed and they could hear the guy coming closer. This was it - showtime! 

Romy saw Steve jumping on him, pushing him down. He lost the gun, as Steve started to attack him with his knife. Romy couldn’t follow the fast hand to hand combat. Steve’s knife flew out of his hand as she made the lunge for the gun. The next moment everything went black. 

A splash brought her back to the land of the living. 

“Romy!” Steve raced the two steps over to her helping her stand up. One hand on her elbow, steadying her, the other gently pushing hair out of her face. “You're bleeding.”

Romy scrunched her eyes close as the wound started to sting, “Yeah, no, I'm okay.” They had bigger things to worry about, she couldn’t see the other man anywhere “Who is that guy?”

“I don't know.” Steve picked up the gun, trying to appear calm “I think he did jail time, though. You see that tattoo on his neck? That cross?”

Romy shook her head, she hadn’t notice it. 

Steve started to cut up his shirt, while he continued talking “It looks like something from the inside. All right. Let me see it.” Looking at her head wound, it was still bleeding. Tying the makeshift bandana around Romy’s head, he cringed as she moaned out in pain. “I'm sorry. I'm sorry, but we got to keep pressure on it, okay?”

“He's got to be dead, right?” Romy looked over the waterfall, there were not air bubbles and no previous inmate running around - and well she could hope couldn’t she?

“Let's not celebrate just yet.” Leave it to Steve to shatter that little seed of hope. “He's only half our problem. His partner's still out there.” 

Slowly they made their way back to the plane, to hopefully find some clues and a way to contact help. They were greatly disappointed though, sure they figured out that the guy was Dennis Logan a for dead declared former Boston mob boss, who somehow managed to bribe federal agents to help him escape. They also found an Emergency Locator Transmitter, which alerts relay stations across the country of their situation, unfortunately that thing was fried and not even Steve could ‘MacGyver-it’ to function again. A disappointment indeed. They’re only option now, was to find Logan and his partner’s camp, apparently a power source could fix the magic ELT once more. Romy was getting tired, the adrenaline was still pumping but her head hurt and oh god she didn’t do well with pain. She was the woman that got a full blown anaesthesia when she needed to get a filling at the dentist. 

Steve pulled at her hand on their track to find the camp. “Romy, stop. Wait. You're bleeding again.” 

“We got to keep moving.” She shook her head softly, didn’t he understand if she stopped moving, he would end up carrying her. 

“No, wait, wait, wait. Let me see that.” His voice didn’t allow for any more of her protests. 

“It's fine, you got more of that shirt?” Romy asked sarcastically “Just make me a new bandage.”

“Just let me see it. Okay, this thing needs more than another bandage.” 

Romy watched him as he found a coconut and doused another piece of his shirt in coconut water “ Okay, I'm gonna clean the wound with this.”

“With coconut water??” She cocked her head to the side, now he was just making stuff up to make her feel better. 

“Yeah, coconut water. Don't knock it.” He flicked his fingers against her knee.  “You know, in world war II, they used coconut water in the I.V. solutions when they ran out of glucose. Did you know that? You of all people, should appreciate this little tidbit of useless information.” He pressed the shirt against her wound. Romy grimaced at the sting. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry.” He mumbled. Removing the piece he allowed himself a quick smile, the bleeding had stopped. He tied another makeshift bandage around Romy’s head. “There you go. All done.”  

“Thank you.” Romy buried her face in his stomach. 

“You’re very welcome.” Steve felt Romy’s lips through his top on his skin. He lifted her chin with his finger and let his lips linger on hers for a brief moment. One second of reprieve. 

Motor noises broke the chirping of the birds “Steve, did you hear that?” Romy wanted to be sure she didn’t imagine things. 

“We got to move.” He pulled her up and they made their way back to the beach. 

A boat docked on the beach and Logan came running towards it “Look who's back from the dead.”

“We need to get that boat.” Steve declared. 

——xx——xx——

“Hey, McGarrett! I got your girl! You show yourself...or I will kill her!” Nothing ever in his life had Steve scared that much than hearing Logan shouting out over the island. What the fuck was he thinking, getting Romy to steal that boat? Now this lowlife had her, was with her somewhere on this fucking island.

“Steve!” Romy crying out for him, her voice full of pain, helplessness and oh god he loved this woman...fury. 

“You don't think I'll do it?” Logan taunted him, firing a shot in the process. 

Vickie struggled in her restrains next to him. Steve’s ground his teeth “Let her go.” The radio crackled and he hoped that it was still transmitting. “I said let her go. All right, you've had a good run; now it's over.” 

“You are in no position to give orders.”

Steve could see him now, standing on the clearing, he had Romy kneeling in front of him, her hair fisted in his hand. Steve’s jaw worked furiously. That son a of bitch. He pushed the gun into Vickie’s side, prompting her to speak “I'm sorry, Dennis.”

“You hear that, pal, huh? I'm taking Vickie back to Oahu with me.” He tried to keep his voice calm. 

“I don't believe you. There's no way you're gonna go..and leave your girlfriend behind.”

“Oh don’t you worry.” Now it was Steve’s turn to taunt. “I’ll be back for her and if just one hair is out of place...you’d wish you’d gone to prison and be someone’s bitch.”

——xx——xx——

Steve watched them approach the beach, his eyes on Romy. She didn’t looked harmed, but he could see the day taking a toll on her. Logan was pushing her to move faster and in her haste she stumbled over her feet and fell in to the sand. He cocked the gun and pointed it right at the back of Logan’s head. 

“Don't move. Drop it right now. Drop the gun, get on your knees. On your knees. Hands behind your head.” He saw Romy inching towards the gun and taking it. “Interlock your fingers. Romy...If he moves, you shoot him, all right?”

“My pleasure.”

Steve tied up his hands, unable to resist taunting Logan further “You know, I was saying you look good for somebody who died in a plane crash four years ago.”

“I got money. I could pay you.” 

Romy barely held in the snort trying to escape, this guy really had no idea who he was dealing with. The day Steve McGarrett accepted bribes, hell would freeze over. 

“Yeah, like you paid the feds off who were supposed to take you to prison the first time, is that right? Get up.”

“Everybody's got a price, McGarrett. What's yours?” 

Steve looked up, seeing two criminals tied up and Romy standing before him he said with conviction “This is it. Let's go.”

——xx——xx——

They handed Vickie and Logan over to the waiting U.S. Marshall’s at the harbour and Romy smirked at Steve’s parting jab at Logan “Think of it as trading one island for another.” 

Seeing the two being put in the back of the SUVs, Steve hugged Romy close. Tension leaving their bodies, they made it off that island. 

“I want you to know... “ Romy leaned back in his embrace, looking up at him “I think that went really well for a birthday present.” 

Steve cocked his head to the side, a smile playing on his lips. “Yeah, me, too.” He interlaced their fingers and they made their way back to his car “Me, too. I mean, we're both still alive..It's a great start to the rest of our life’s isn’t it?” They both laughed at the absurdity of the day. 

“Come on, lets go home.” He opened the car door for Romy. 

He had pulled out of the parking lot, when Romy turned to him “You were pretty convincing back there. Were you really gonna leave me behind?” She saw Steve’s confused look and elaborated. “I heard you talking to Logan.”

Steve shrugged sheepishly. “Yeah, well, it worked, didn't it?”

“Yeah, what if it didn't? What was your plan B?” 

Steve turned to Romy, his face serious “Do you really think, I’d leave you behind?” 

Grasping his hand in hers, she shook her head lightly “No.”  If there was one thing she was 100% certain in her life, something that she would bet anything on, it was this. Steve would never leave her behind. 

They turned into their drive way, when their conversation from this morning popped back into her head. “Schnuffi, why don’t we try jewellery as a present next year?” 

Laughing out loud, Steve helped her out of the truck “Now that sounds like a solid plan.” 

——xx——xx——

An hour later, they had showered, ordered some much needed take out and were sharing a beer when Steve commented. “Never thought I’d see the day that you’re sitting here and I’m patching you up.” He applied the butterfly plasters to Romy’s forehead. 

“You gonna do our little ritual as well?” Romy looked up at him through her lashes. 

Chuckling Steve smoothed her hair from her forehead “I don’t think my German will extend that far.” 

“Please.” 

“Stop with that pout of yours.” Steve tapped her bottom lip making Romy grin. 

“It’s my birthday, Steve. Please.” The pout became a bit a bigger. 

“Ok!” Steve heaved out a sigh and then stumbled through the little rhyme. 

“Don’t forget the kiss.” Romy giggled. Steve pressed his lips to her battle wound and then to her lips, his tongue dancing with hers. He held her face gently in his large hands once they parted from their kiss. 

“Happy birthday, Romy.” 

 

——xx——xx——

 

His day had been weird, and in the life of Steve McGarrett that means something. They got a new officer joining them from San Francisco for a while, a conman tried to con him and almost succeeded. Gabriel Waincroft was rearing his ugly head again not only now dabbling in weapon sales but also using the conman to infect their system with a virus. That, however wasn’t even the weirdest thing of today. 

“Jerry doesn’t like our newest member of the team.” Steve announced as he came through the door. That was the most random thing that happened today. 

“Well, now that’s gonna be awkward.” Romy shouted down from the first floor landing. 

“Why?” Steve looked up at her, her elbows leaning on the railing. Her head wound from last Saturday, still protected by a bandage. The belt of her dress was undone, like he had interrupted her getting changed. 

“I invited everyone for a bbq this weekend. Welcoming the new recruit.” Romy peeled out of her dress without a second thought, leaving her in her slip. Steve groaned and took two steps at a time to reach her. By the time he got upstairs, Romy had headed to their bedroom, where she was taking off her jewellery. 

Plastering his front to her back he growled into her ear “You have no idea what you do to me.”

“Me?” Romy looked up, their gaze meeting in the mirror attached to the bureau. 

“Yeah you...greeting me with your dress wide open, taking it off...” he ground his hips into hers, his cock already semi hard. 

“Steve?” She had no idea what had gotten in to him, her make up had vanished at lunchtime and she was a hot and sweaty mess from sitting in a room without  an AC and windows for most of the day. “I didn’t try to start...” 

“I know.” He kissed his way down the back of her neck, making her head fall forward. 

“Didn’t know that my day old make up would do it for you.” Romy panted the last syllable. 

His hands were sliding up her legs pushing the slip up, baring her lace covered ass “You always do it for me.” Their eyes met in the mirror again. Romy sucked in a breath at the intensity of his stare and his hands playing her body. “Look at me.” Her gazed snapped back to his, her mouth forming a perfect O as Steve buried himself inside her. 

——xx——xx——

“You alright?” Romy asked after Steve had relayed the rest of his weird day over dinner and a drink. 

“I just don’t get how men...married men...committed men would go up to the room with a woman they don’t know. Trying to sleep with her.” He shrugged, pulling her legs further up on his lap.

“And then get robbed.” 

“Yeah but I mean their intention was to fucking cheat. I...” he shook his head, his fingers ghosting over Romy’s bare legs. 

“Was that what brought on our little session earlier?” She poked his side “You needing to prove to yourself that you wont cheat?” 

He squirmed away “Nope.” Steve grabbed her offending finger, holding it tight. “That was just you being way too sexy for me to do anything else.” 

“He sacrificed his partner to make some additional cash and infect your systems with a virus.” Romy shook her head. “I thought there was honour among thieves?” 

“Not between those two.” 

“And Gabriel Waincroft strikes again.” Romy sighed. 

Steve had gone inside to grab dessert, when his phone rang. Romy checked the caller ID before answering. “Hey Kono.”

“Romy...sorry did I call you? I thought I dialled...”

“You did call Steve. He’s just popped inside. You guys caught a case?”

“Yeah...No...I don’t know.” 

“Kono, what’s going on?” Romy cradled the phone between her ear and shoulder, listening to her friends panicked story. 

She hang up the phone a few minutes later, shock clearly written on her face. Steve came back outside with the ice cream carton. “Romy?” 

She turned to him, eyes wide, she looked scared. 

“What happened? Who called?” He dropped the carton on the table, taking his phone out of her slacked hand. 

“That was Kono. She’s at HPD...Adam...Adam he just turned himself in for murder.” 

 

——xx——xx——

Notes:

Thank you so much for reading! If you want to get to know Steve and Romy better drop me one of the colours in your reviews and comments and I’ll send you ‘their’ answers:

red: describe your favorite shirt
yellow: name of an artist you think is underappreciated
green: do you have a favourite flower?
blue: preferred type of weather?
turquoise: favorite sea animal?
fuchsia: favorite land animal?
sea green: can you fold a fitted sheet?
amber: what's saved as your phone's lockscreen?
aqua: do you thrift?
beige: have any pets? what're their names?
black: would you ever try going vegetarian or vegan?
grey: how many languages do you speak? do you want to learn any more?
coral: an animal you wish hadn't gone extinct
maroon: do you care for clothing brands?
rose: favourite scent on a person? 
charcoal: have you ever been camping?
claret: do you play an instrument? do you want to learn to play any?
copper: gold or silver jewelry?
cream: any piercings or tattoos? do you want any?
salmon: how many pairs of sunglasses do you own?
ebony: would you ever want to play a game on television? (jeopardy, family fued, etc)
emerald: if you had the option, would you choose to move and live in another country? which one?
lavender: relationship status?
erin: what was/is your best school subject?
mauve: any unpopular opinions?
fulvous: another name you think would suit you
frost: a chore you enjoy
porcelain: an tv show you used to love
fawn: any interesting family stories?
gold: do you wear your socks mismatched?
honey: your thoughts on magic- does it exist?
rust: form of art you enjoy doing?
cherry: YouTubers you enjoy watching?
wine: do you have a 'type'
mahogany: your sun, moon, and rising signs
blood: twin beds, queen, or king?
hot pink: did you/do you had/have strong feelings against the color pink?
plum: a food you've never tried
lilac: dogs, cats, or fish?
amethyst: do you collect anything?
mulberry: earbuds or headphones?
azure: jean jackets?
denim: kill the spider or take it outside?
sapphire: do you think you can sing well?
mint: favourite flavour of gum?
pecan: shuffle your playlist, what's the first song that comes up?
penny: icecream or cake
ash: can you do your own makeup?
jade: ever written fanfiction?
grape: how many blogs do you follow?
umber: do you brush your teeth before you eat?
chestnut: type of phone you have
prussian blue: what's your first choice at the vending machine
aquamarine: beach or pool
brass: least favorite food condiment
mustard: how much sugar in your tea/coffee?
silver: ever broken a bone?
rose quartz: rings or necklaces
burgundy: ever ridden a motorcycle?
scarlet: favorite holiday
apricot: opinion on 3 in 1 body wash/hair wash 
platinum: do you follow politics?
magnolia: your Instagram handle?

Chapter 21: Three makes a family

Notes:

Warnings: Description of murder, emotional upheaval
Episode: Season 6 - Episode 9

Hello my lovelies,
I do hope you are all ok! My life has been turned around something crazy since posting the last chapter. My best friend has been diagnosed with Covid and new restrictions mean, I don’t know if and when I’ll be able to get back home, as Germany has banned all flights going and coming from the UK.
Anyway, I took this as an excuse and wrote another chapter...Parts of it are over a year old and I’m absolutely giddy that I finally got to the point in the story.
Thank you so much for all your comments for the last chapter and I hope you all liked your colour blurbs. Anyone who hasn’t send me a colour yet, check out the end notes of Chapter 20.
As always, I cannot wait to hear your thoughts and comments! You make my day with them.
Stay safe & Enjoy xx

Chapter Text

——xx——xx——

 

“German Rose, you gotta second for yo favourite Kama’aina.” Romy frowned at the subdued greeting from Kamekona. 

“Sure, Kame.” She shook her head at Ani, who was hovering in the door with some papers. “What’s up?” 

“Ahem...I...I didn’t know if I...you know its about the keiki....” 

“Nahele? Is he hurt?” Romy started to panic. 

“What...no?! No!” She let out a breath. “He’d gotten a visitor yesterday.” 

“Ok? Nahele is allowed visitors though, isn’t he? Or has he been slacking?” “No..no...German Rose. Nuthin like that.” 

“You got me worried here, Kamekona.” Romy stressed when he wouldnt come to the point. 

“His dad...his father came to see him.” 

Well shit! Had he gotten out of prison already? She thought he had another year on his sentence. 

“I gather it didn’t go well?” 

“You could say that...” Romy’s imagination went wild, incorporating shouting matches and fist fights.

“We’ll talk to Nahele, see whats up.” Romy played with her pen, then she said “Thanks Kamekona.” 

“All good. Thought you’d need to know what’s going on with your boy.” 

 

——xx——xx——

 

Nahele had chosen a bench, which looked out to the sea. His head low and a piece of paper crumbled in his hand.

 “Hey - how are you doing?” Steve ruffled his hair before slinging his arm around Romy’s shoulder, joining Nahele on the bench

“Kamekona said you had a visitor?” Romy nudged carefully. 

“I guess he told you about my father.” Nahele was not looking at them, his voice quiet.  

“You wanna talk about it?” Romy continued to prod.  

Nahele just shrugged “There is not much to say.” The pair shared a look, what was going on? 

It took a second of silence, before it blurted out of the teenager “I haven’t seen him since I was 8! Does he really think a couple of letters from prison make him a good father? And now I gotta live with this guy.” Nahele balled the letter in his fist again, before he threw it at them.  Romy took it and smoothed the crumpled paper on her legs. Steve read the piece over her shoulder “This is a court hearing, nothing has been decided.”

“No! I rather go back on the street before I live with him.” 

“Nahele.” Romy sighed, the image of Nahele with the McDonalds bag and the tag still hanging out of his shirt flashed through her mind. She met Steve’s eyes - No. He would never get back to that, not while they were alive. 

“No chance he’s changed?” Steve wanted to know. 

“No, no…no.” He shook his head vehemently. 

“Hey, ok. We believe you.” Steve squeezed Nahele’s arm.  

“Shit!” He exclaimed having caught the time on Steve’s watch “I’ve got track practise in 15 minutes.” 

Romy chuckled “I’ll drive you.” She lobbed her car keys to him “Pop your kit in the car. I’ll be a sec.” She checked that the teenager was out of earshot, before turning to Steve with pleading eyes. “Can you talk to him?” 

“Who?” Steve held out his hand to help her off the bench. 

“Nahele’s father.” 

“Of course.” What for a question. “I’ll drive over to his parole officer” a quick glance at his phone, but no updates on the case “now to get his details.” 

“Thanks.” 

“Romy.” Steve got serious, he tugged at her hand to make her face him. “He’s not going back on the streets.” She bit her lip, ready to argue. “We won’t let that happen.” He slid his hand along her jaw and into her hair, slanting his lips over hers. “I promise.” He whispered when they separated. 

“Call me when you got something.” She demanded before getting into her car. 

“Of course.” Steve leaned into the car through the open window, pressing a kiss to her  check. 

“Run fast.” He nodded to Nahele signing the Shaka. 

 

——xx——xx——

 

She had dropped Nahele at school for practice and contemplating going back to the office, but on autopilot she got out of the car wandering over to the bleachers. Romy smiled at two women sitting there already, moms from other kids on the team she assumed. Settling down a couple of rows behind them, she messaged Ani, that she would be working out of house for the rest of the day. Watching the practice while answering some emails, she looked up as a shadow spread over her. 

“I’m sorry.” A man, her age she guessed smiled at her. “You’re not one of my regulars” his eyes flickered to the women behind her “so I thought I’d introduce myself. I’m Coach Peterson.” 

“Nice to meet you Coach Peterson.” Romy shook his outstretched hand. “Romy Erhardt.” 

“Pleasure Ms Erhardt.” His smile brightened even further. 

“Romy!” Nahele jogged over to them “What are you still doing here?” 

“Thought I’d give you a ride home.” Romy gathered up her things. “You good to go?” 

“Yeah.” Nahele nodded “Coach.” He acknowledged his trainer. 

“See you next week Nahele. Ms Ehrardt, do join us for practice more often.” Coach Peterson turned around and walked to the school building. 

“Not that I don’t love the lift, but shouldn’t you be at work?” Nahele dumped his sport gear in the trunk. 

Romy shrugged “Sometimes its nice to be the boss.” 

“You’re playing hooky!” He exclaimed. “That’s so unfair when I do that, I get detention.” Nahele groused. 

“It’s called being an adult, not playing hooky.” Romy corrected primly. “And I’m gonna pretend I didn’t hear about the detention.” Their conversation lulled for a moment, she tried to gather her thoughts and then started with “Nahele, about the co...”

“I don’t wanna talk about it.” 

“Hele...” she tried again. 

“No!” 

Romy let out a breath “Ok then.” 

She parked in front of the social flat, watching the teenager go inside. Her head rested in her hands and her thoughts flicked back to Nahele, how could this happen to him again. He just started to get along in his social services flat, and now this. She’d didn’t know what she would do, if his father... if he ever hurt her…. her …her mind wanted to fill the blank with the word son, but...‘Where the heck did that come from!’

 

——xx——xx——

 

She swiped her permanent visitor pass at the entrance and went upstairs to the Five - 0 offices. Steve wasn’t back yet, but Chin and a woman were standing at the computer table. 

“Hi Romy!” Chin greeted her with a kiss on the cheek “I don’t think you’ve met Inspector Dunn yet. Abby this is Romy, Steve’s girlfriend.” 

Romy forced her hotel smile on her face, meeting new people was not what she needed today. “Nice to meet you, Inspector.” 

“Please call me Abby.” 

Abby’s open smile and kind eyes made her feel horrible to try to fob Abby off with her work persona. Romy closed her eyes for a second and said warmly “I’m so sorry. We had a full welcoming bbq planned for last weekend but with everything happening at the moment it kinda slipped...” 

“A BBQ?” Abby looked between Chin and Romy. Chin shrugged, Abby was in a for surprise, a meal at Romy and Steve’s was always a treat. 

“Yeah” Romy nodded. “Nothing big or fancy just some meat on the grill in our backyard.” 

“Don’t let her fool you, Abby. It’ll be plenty big, and their backyard is fancy.” 

“Well, I’m looking forward to it.” Abby definitely had enough of room service.

“Hey guys!” Steve greeted them. Romy looked up at him expectantly, but Steve pulled her close and kissed her, savouring the feeling of her lips. 

Forehead pressed against Romy’s trying to get his mind to calm down “Would you excuse us for a minute?” He said to Abby and Chin, who’d turned away at the display of the affection from the couple. 

“Sure, sure.” Chin waved him off. 

——xx——xx——

Steve leaned against his desk and pulled Romy to him, she nestled between his legs and her hands interlacing behind his neck. He closed his eyes as he felt the gentle tug of Romy playing with his hair.

“How did it go with Nahele’s father?”

“Ah well...it’s...he’s saying all the right things, got himself a job. He seems to be trying to turn his life around and he said he wants Nahele to be a part of it. 

“You don’t believe that, do you?”

“I think Nahele is not telling us everything.” 

Romy nodded “I tried again this afternoon, but he completely clamped up.” 

“The background check came clear to. Model prisoner, no fights, no suspicious visitors.”

Romy pursed her lips and shook her head “All of this doesn’t add up. Are we too over protective?” She asked after moment of enjoying Steve’s hug. 

“No, we want to do right by him.” Steve rested his forehead on Romy’s. 

“I love that you’re so protective of Nahele.” Romy brushed her nose against his. 

“Thanks for always being there for him.” He returned her gesture “Why don’t you go home, gorgeous. I’ll wrap up here and then I’ll be right behind you.” 

“Ok, you want anything special for dinner?” 

“How about we take Nahele out for some Thai?” 

“Sounds good to me.”Romy popped onto her toes to kiss him, when Chin knocked on the door. “Sorry to interrupt, but we have an update.” 

Sighing Steve let go of his girlfriend “Be right there.” 

“Come on, Schnuffi. Duty calls.” Romy pecked him on his lips once more before disentangling herself. Steve led her out of his office and to the door. “See you later. I love you.” 

“Be careful, Commander. Love you too.” A kiss goodbye and the glass door swung close after Romy. Steve made his way back to the computer table. 

“So what’s the news with Nahele’s father?” Chin asked. 

 

——xx——xx——

 

Steve hadn’t been able to join them for dinner. Romy had handed her phone to Nahele, after she’d spoken to him. Steve sounded truly sorry on the phone, the case was heating up and they had a lead on a suspect. Nahele had fulfilled Steve’s request to gorge himself on Thai food on his behalf with glee. He even send a picture to Steve of him and Romy and the table full of plates. Romy did not need to persuade him much when she suggested a walk at the waterfront and a shave ice for dessert. The best surprise however was Steve leaning against his truck, waiting for them. Wandering down the waterfront Romy and Steve’s fingers interlaced, Steve’s other hand sitting on Nahele’s shoulder affectionately. The teenager watched them from the corner of his eyes.  Why did his father needed to come back now? He had finally hoped with Romy settled in, that maybe this...could be it...he could finally feel safe. But he was never lucky was he?

Sitting down on one of the tables Romy pushed her shave ice over to Steve after a couple of bites. “We need to get you a suit.” She said to Nahele. 

“For what?”

“The court hearing, Kiddo.” 

Nahele scoffed “No way, I’m dressing up for this man.” 

Romy suppressed a grin and tried to keep a stern expression but Nahele’s disgruntled face made it really difficult. She leaned back into Steve’s arm “It’s not for your father. It’s for the court. If you want them to take you seriously, you need to dress that way. Board shorts and flip flops ain’t gonna cut it.”

“Steve!” Nahele turned to him with a pleading tone. 

“She’s right, buddy. Dress to impress.” 

The teenager groaned before mumbling “ok.” 

“Perfect, I’ll pick you up after school tomorrow.” Romy ruffled through his carefully arranged curls happily. 

“My hair, Romy!” 

 

——xx——xx——

 

 Romy paused the audiobook she had playing to fall asleep, when Steve appeared in their bedrooms doorway. 

“I’m sorry, I left you guys at the Shave Ice.” He moved into the room, sitting heavily down on his side on the bed. Setting his badge and gun down on the bedside table. “It’s ok.” Romy kneeled up behind, her hands starting to massage his shoulders. His head lolled back against her sternum.

“Still, I missed dinner and then I cut short dessert.” 

“You made it to dessert.” Her hands moved from his shoulders up his neck to his head, purposely moving along his body, trying to relax him. “No need to apologise, but I forgive you anyway.” 

Comfortable silence filled the room, Steve concentrated on the movement of her hands, sinking into her touch. His breathing adapting slowly to hers. Peace. 

“Steve.” Romy whispered. 

“Yeah.” 

“The background check. Did it really come back clear?” 

“Yeah.” 

Romy sighed and Steve felt her breath hitch. Together they laid down on the bed, his head nestled against her breasts. 

“If anything happens to him while he’s in the care of this man, I’m gonna kill him.” Despite her tone being soft, the steel behind Romy’s words cut through the quiet night.

“Nothing’s gonna happen to him, Romy.” He tried to calm her, but who was he kidding, if anything happened to the kid, he’d do exactly the same.

“You heard him today, didn’t you? He’d rather go back on the streets.” She sounded so distressed and Steve couldn’t help the flash of Nahele when he first met him to appear in front of his eyes. 

“We’ll not let that happen. I promise you, Romy. I’ll always protect him... Nothing bad is going to happen to Nahele or you, while I’m breathing.” 

Romy smiled and squeezed Steve tightly “My Seal, to protect and to serve.” 

“You bet your cute little butt.” 

 

——xx——xx——

 

They took their places right behind Nahele in the courtroom. Romy felt the nervous energy radiating off him and off Steve next to her. She couldn’t reach Nahele from her spot, so she satisfied herself with drawing circles on Steve’s hand that rested on her knee. Nahele had been great on the stand, he made it very clear, he didn’t  want to live with his father. Romy was sure that the court would  take his wishes into account. He was 15 and not 5 after all. 

The moment the judge announced her decision, Nahele tore out of the courtroom. 

Sharing a look with each other, Steve pressed a kiss to her forehead. “This was not supposed to happen.” 

Sitting through the ruling and not going after Nahele, took all of Romy’s patience. When they finally were allowed to leave, Kailua Huikala tried to stop them. Steve pushed passed him, holding tightly onto Romy’s hand. He had no regard nor time for a man, that would ignore his own sons wishes so disparagingly. Sitting in his car, he stared at the key in the ignition, it almost dared him to turn it and rush into the afternoon traffic. Steve let out an angry breath, then he pushed his feet against the floor board and hammered his fist against the roof “fuck fuck fuck!” Romy watched from the passenger seat, letting him get the energy out that has been bubbling below the surface. Trying to convince Steve  not to blame himself would be useless, so she kept quiet, until his forehead came to rest on the steering wheel. Rubbing her hand softly up and down his back, she could barely hear it when steve mumbled “I failed him.” He sounded so defeated. 

“You didn’t fail him - the system did.” her hand massaging his neck “Again.”

Steve turned to her “We need to talk to him.”

“Need to find him first.” 

“I think I might know where he is.” He drove our of the parking lot, Romy’s hand securely enclosed in his. 

 

——xx——xx——

 

Just as he thought, Nahele had found refuge in their garage, huddled on the passenger seat of the Marquis. Steve opened the drivers door to the Marquis and sat down “I thought I might find you here.”

Romy stayed back, this was a Steve conversation. She fiddled with some washing in the basket, trying to keep her hands busy, so she wouldn’t pull Nahele out of that car into a hug. 

“Look Nahele, I know things didn’t go down the way you wanted to.” Steve started.

“I...I...don’t care what that judge said, they can’t make me live with’im.”

Steve took a deep breath, it hurt him to even think what he was going to say “Actually they can.” 

Nahele sniffled, refusing to look at Steve. 

Steve turned to him “I know there’s something you’re not telling us.” 

Steve’s heart broke at the sight and the anger at Kailua grew even more. “And I...we want to help you. But if you don’t let us in, we can’t.” Nahele still averted his eyes, the dashboard his visual anchor. 

“Look at me.” 

Slowly Nahele turned toward him, his eyes haunted, scared, sad. It cut Steve to the core “I will always protect you. Alright. Alright?” 

A soft nod and then Nahele told his story. How his dad drove with him and another guy to the woods. Him in the back seat reading his comic books, looking forward to the shaved ice. How his father and friend got out of the car, a loud bang, birds rushing up into the sky. His dad had returned alone, the other man never to be seen again. Halfway through his story, Nahele started to cry. Steve pulled him close, trying to comfort him. Inside he was furious, how dare this man take his son along for a murder. What kind of father would do that to their kid? He didn’t deserve to be in Nahele’s life! He turned his head slightly and met Romy’s gaze in the rear view mirror. Silent tears streamed down her face. Her expression fierce, no one was going to take Nahele anywhere. 

“What happens next?” Nahele hiccupped. 

“Do you remember where it was?” 

Nahele nodded again, tears still sitting in his eyes. Steve face pinched in anger for a moment, before squeezing the boy to him. Letting Nahele out of his arms, he said “You’re going to stay here with Romy and I’ll deal with your dad.” 

Nahele wiped his eyes with the back off his hand, he wanted to object but Steve beat him to it.  “I promise you, Nahele. It will all be ok.” 

The two of them got out of the car and Romy stood from the stairs as well. She gathered Nahele into her arms and whispered softly to him “We’ve got you. I promise.” 

Steve kissed her forehead, as he passed the two and headed into the house. His phone already out, dialling Max and his team. This was personal, that man messed with on of their own. His anger bubbled too close to surface, he needed to create some distance between him and his family. He stormed upstairs into the bedroom, discarding his suit, tie and shirt violently.

Romy manoeuvred an apathetic Nahele out of the garage and into the house. She sat him onto the sofa and said “Don’t move. I’ll be right back.” She grabbed some snacks from the kitchen , fairly certain that Nahele hadn’t eaten anything all day. Setting it down on the coffee table, she smoothed his hair back gently, before climbing upstairs. Steve was already dressed in a shirt and cargo pants, he just clipped his badge on when Romy joined him.

“You ok?” Her question floated in the room. 

Steve closed his eyes and let out a huffed breath “No. You?”

Romy shook her head. “Are you arresting him?” She handed him his gun from the night stand. 

“Yeah. I’ve send Kono and Max already to the crime scene, as soon as they recover the body, I’ll be arresting the son of a bitch.” He took the gun from Romy, checked the magazine and the safety before putting it in his holster. 

“Romy, no one knows about this yet. If the social workers come to...”

“I won’t answer the doors. He’s not going anywhere with them.” 

“They might use force...”

“They need to go through me to get to him! You worry about his father and I’ll handle the situation here. No one is taking Nahele.” 

Steve smiled sadly “Maybe I should call Danny, just for some back up.”

“If it makes you feel better.” Romy said indulgently. 

“Thanks!” He squeezed her hand in passing. 

Nahele still sat on the sofa where Romy left him. She was relieved to see that he had opened the soda and that the crisps packet was empty. She’d let the disregarded apple slide for the day. Steve perched on the coffee table in front of him. “I’ll be back in a little bit.” 

“What if they...”

“Romy is here and Danny is coming over, and believe me Romy is a lot more scarier than him.” 

Nahele nodded and Steve pulled him in another hug. Romy followed him out to his truck, she wrung her hands, not too sure how she should say it, but Steve beat her to it. 

“After dropping that excuse of a father of at the station. I’ll be paying the governor a visit. He can expedite some papers so that Nahele can stay with us for the time being. At least until we talk to him if he wants us to be his legal guardians or whatever they’re calling it these days.” 

Romy let her head fall to his chest, how did he know her so well. An arm came around her shoulders to hold her firmer against him. 

“That’s what you want isn’t it?” She could feel his voice rumble through his chest. 

“Yes, but only if it’s something....”

“Gorgeous, of course I want! Made the mistake once to let him go back in the system. Ain’t ever happening again. As long as he wants us to.” 

“I love you!” 

“I love you too.” 

Heading back inside, she locked all outside doors, before sitting next to Nahele on the sofa. “It will all be ok.” 

Nahele dropped his head onto her lap in defeat and Romy started to comb her hand through his curls. She didn’t know if she tried to soothe him or herself. This is how Danny found them a bit later. He squeezed Romy’s shoulder in a greeting before settling down in the arm chair an eye always on the door. There was no talking, only the rhythmic motion noise of Danny rocking in the chair broke the silence once in a while. The three of them startled when they heard a car approaching about two hours later, but breathed out a sigh of relief when the door was actually unlocked by a key - Steve. 

Danny got out of his chair and they did their manly bro hug with lots of slaps of the back. “Everything sorted.” Danny whispered. Steve tilted his head “Almost.” 

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” Danny bend down to press a kiss to Romy’s cheek and squeezed Nahele’s shoulder. “Bye guys.” 

Romy blinked up at Danny “Thank you, babe. Really.” 

“We’re family.” Danny winked at her as headed out of the door. 

Slowly Nahele sat up, eyeing the greasy bag and the heavy Manila envelope Steve had dropped onto the coffee table. “I’m gonna...” he gestured towards the bathroom. Steve took his spot on the sofa next to Romy, after Nahele went down the hall. His hand finding hers, his anchor in a stormy sea. Romy studied his profile “Did everything go alright?” 

“Yeah.” Steve nodded “No bail and an expedited trial. Ellie is on it.” 

“Good. And the governor?”

Steve jerked his head, Nahele stepped back in the room. “Why did you needed to talk to the governor?” He took a seat in the love seat, watching them both warily. 

Romy and Steve shared a look, how should they approach this. Hadn’t he been through enough today? But Romy couldn’t help herself and blurted it right out “We want you to live with us.” 

“With...” Nahele turned over the sentence in his head “with you? 

“Yes, as your... “Romy looked at Steve, she had no idea what he’d discussed with Governor Denning. 

“As your foster parents.” He supplied. 

“For how long?” Nahele squinted his eyes, foster parents could mean anything he learnt that the hard way.

“For as long as you want us to be.” Steve leaned forward, his elbows resting on his knees. 

Nahele bit his lip, could that really be true? For as long as he wanted? 

“We have all the paper work here. That’s why I took so long.” Steve pulled the papers out of the envelope. All three names standing proudly on the top of the page. 

“The social care flat? Do I need to go back until this has been approved?”

“No!” Steve pushed the papers over to Nahele. “You don’t have to go back if you don’t want to. The Governor made a judge sign an emergency decree and I went to the flat to pick up some of your things. We can fill it out tonight and then get it filed tomorrow, if you want.”

Nahele couldn’t believe it, this was real, right? He looked over to Romy, she had not said anything yet. Was she ok with this? Or was this is just Steve’s doing? 

“Really? And you’re ok with that?” Nahele’s voice shook. 

Romy swallowed heavily “We wouldn’t want it any other way.” She said with reverence. 

“We are still subject to a house visit or two but otherwise...” Steve started to say, but Nahele had thrown himself at both of them. 

“Thank you, thank you, thank you.” He chanted. 

They eaten the Loco Moco, Steve had brought and filled out the amassing paperwork for the foster process. Romy needing to slap away both of their hands several times, so they wouldn’t cover them in grease stains. Steve had carried in a duffel and Nahele’s school bag and Nahele had chosen one of the upstairs guest rooms for himself. 

Standing under the spray of water, she was so lost in thought she didn’t realise when Steve joined her in the shower. She jumped has he pressed his front to her back. 

“I’m sorry babe, but I’m not in the mood. I’m fried.’” She yawned. 

“Me neither.” Steve responded with his own yawn. “I just needed to hold you.” He kissed the spot were her neck met her shoulder. Sighing she leaned back into him, relishing in his strong arms around her. “Yes, please.” The water beating down on both of them letting the stress of the day be washed away. 

 

——xx——xx——

 

The sight of Steve in the middle of the living room arms crossed defensively while getting berated by a small woman with a clip board, greeted Romy two days later as she came home from work. 

Nahele noticed her first “Romy, finally you are here.” He shouted out relieved. He bounced to her, pushing her over to Steve. “Miss Bowers from social services dropped by to assess the situation.” Nahele supplied, while trying to dodge the side squeeze she was trying to give him. No wonder Steve was on edge and on the defensive. This was the woman who tried to place Nahele with his dad, against his will. Romy made her way over to Steve’s side, and he smiled tightly before greeting her with a kiss on the cheek. “Glad you’re home.”

“Hi!” She smiled brightly at the woman and extended her hand “I’m Romy Erhardt.”

“Julie Bowers.” 

“It’s lovely to meet you. I see you are already in the midd..”

“Excuse me, Ms ....” the social worker seemed to struggle with her German last name. “Romy is just fine.” 

“Commander McGarrett, you didn’t tell me we were waiting on someone else.” Her pen tapped against the clipboard.

“Well, she’s on all the paperwork.” Steve responded with a tight face. Didn’t read this woman anything before coming over. 

“Well the paperwork only reached us this morning. Not everyone has a direct line to the governor.” 

Romy sucked in a breath, Ms Bowers really did not just accuse them of favouritism. “Well, we wouldn’t have had to expedite anything if you hadn’t suggested Nahele lives with someone he doesn’t want to, a murderer nonetheless.” And there it goes, Romy groaned internally, they’d had a plan. Be nice, be polite, don’t mention the trial, but Steve just shot that to hell.

The smile on Ms Bowers face turned saccharine “So, Romy tell me. How long have you been in the country?” 

“Kiddo, why don’t you go in the kitchen and get some coffee going?” Steve turned to Nahele, he did not need to hear this. Nahele took the hint and hightailed it out of the room quickly. Romy looked up at Steve, trying to convey, its fine, but Steve’s face told a different story. 

“I came to Hawaii in June 2014.”

“Mhm” 

Romy furrowed her brows, what does ‘Mhm’ mean?

“I returned to Europe for 8 weeks to organise my permanent move. I’m in this country on work visa, and on the green card trail.” 

“So you are not a citizen?” 

“What does that have to with anything.” Steve had enough. Romy wasn’t here illegally and that woman dared to insinuate, she couldn’t be part of Nahele’s life. 

“No, but I have all the legal required documents to work and live here in the US...” her  hand brushed over Steve’s ‘It’s ok’. 

“Mhm” 

Now Steve and Romy shared a look of panic, again with this ‘Mhm’. Steve’s hand moved from her hip to hold her hand tightly.

“Do you have documents to prove your immigration status?” Ms Bowers scribbled on her clipboard. 

“Of course.” Romy let go of Steve’s hand and started rummaging in her bag. 

“This is my current visa and this” she opened her Filofax. Steve needed to chuckle, she was really the last person to use one of those. “is my case number for my green card and the immigration officer in charge of my case.” 

“Hmm” Again with the humming - couldn’t this woman just give them an answer.

“Commander, before we got interrupted, we were discussing your job.” 

“You mean keeping the state, you’re living on, safe?” Romy shot back quickly. 

Steve squeezes her hand. He got this.“What are you worried about, Ms Bowers?” 

“You work difficult cases, correct?” 

“Thats why this task force got established.” Romy grunt out. 

Steve pursed his lips to stop the smile. You could say whatever you wanted about themselves, but don’t you dare to question something about the other. All hell breaks loose. “Yes, Ms Bowers. It’s difficult cases.” 

“With long and infrequent hours?” 

“Sometimes.” 

Romy could just about hold in a snort, that earned her a warning glance from Steve. 

“How often is sometimes.” 

“It all depends on the case.” 

“So you couldn’t guarantee that you’d be home every evening to make sure Nahele has dinner. Does his homework. Goes to bed at a reasonable time.” 

“Well, criminals aren’t adhering to a 9 to 5 schedule, but I can send a memo out if you want.” Steve snarked. 

A groan could be heard from the kitchen and Romy rolled her eyes. Great this woman had Steve goaded now, this wasn’t going to end well. 

“So that’d be a no?” 

“I don’t think criminals will listen to a memo, when they don’t care about the law.”

“Commander!”

“At least I’m not a criminal, you had ordered him to live with one not even a week ago, remember?” 

Romy wanted to hit her forehead against something. The whole visit was derailing fast. “I’m here!” She blurted out. 

“Excuse me?” 

“You asked who’ll be here, when Steve isn’t.” 

“Yes.” Ms Bowers answered carefully. 

“Well, my name is as much on this paperwork as his, isn’t it? One of us will be here.” 

“If that’s the case, care to elaborate how this would work.” Was this woman kidding her? Does she not want her involved at all? “I work office hours, weekends are usually off.” Romy tried to portray a calmness she didn’t feel. 

“And what do you do?”

“I head up the Commercial team for a group of hotels on O’ahu.” 

The social worker prompted her to expand. 

“The company I work for owns and operates hotels worldwide, I have taken over the commercial team for the hotels here on the island a couple of months ago. I deal with everything from revenue analysis to sales and marketing.” Romy could see she had lost the woman. 

“You said a couple of months ago, so you are still in your notice period?” 

“No, I’ve been working with my employer for over 6 years, previously in a different role.” 

More notes where made on that clipboard. “I’d like to see the house now.” Ms Bowers stood up, and motioned for the couple to follow her. After one hour of more questions and the most in-depth tour of the house, the woman really wanted to see everything. The house, Naheles room, the garage, the shed and their bedroom. Steve put his foot down at that, “This is our room, this is our private space, Ms Bowers.” He stood in front of the bedroom door protectively. 

“I need to see everything, Mr McGarrett.” 

“That’s Lieutenant Commander McGarrett to you. And its called privacy. I’ve read up on your rules, and seeing the bedroom of prospective foster parents is not part of it. You delved into Romy’s immigration status, in my work life and don’t think I don’t know you requested access to my military file. So no - I’m drawing the line on our bedroom.” He herded Ms Bowers back through the sun room and into the hallway. “I just wish you’d spend just half the time vetting Mr Huikala that you spend vetting us.” 

Hook, Line and Sinker, Ms Bowers had no response to that. Romy tugged at Steve’s hand, making him slow down. “That was hot! You’re so getting laid tonight.” 

Steve chuckled at her antics. “Com’on before she starts to go through our garbage.”

It took 30 more minutes of Ms Bowers filling out forms, before she was finally ready to leave. Steve closed the door behind her with a big sigh. “Wow, that was intense.” 

Romy sank down the door, resting her face on her knees. Steve sunk down next to her, pulling Romy’s head on his shoulder “Thank you!” he mumbled in her hair. 

“I’d say you’re welcome, but I don’t know how much help I actually was.” 

“You have no idea.” He pressed a kiss to her head, closing his eyes. He’d never thought that it’d be this hard, Ms Bowers was ruthless in her assessment. 

Romy lifted her head to look at his profile. It struck her once more, he was so fucking handsome “I bet you, that this wasn’t the last visit of the lovely Ms Bowers.” 

“Son of a bitch”Steve dropped his head against the door with a thud. 

“Guys.” Nahele stepped out of the kitchen “how did it go?” 

“You are still here, aren’t you?” Steve smiled and got up.

He helped Romy off the floor and pulled Nahele into a side hug “Welcome to the family, kiddo.” 

A little while later the three of them sat on the lanai, sipping coffee. Romy had her feet in Steve’s lap and he was drawing circles on her bare leg. 

“We’ve got some ground rules in this house, Nahele...” Romy started, earning herself a groan from both Steve and Nahele. Romy kicked Steve lightly. 

“Ground rules got it.” He placated her. 

“The first one is - No Secrets.” She pointed at both of them. “We need to know if something is up in your life, if there are issues at school or here at home. If you’re happy.” Romy looked at Nahele and he nodded. 

“Romy, you know...” Steve started, but Romy cut him off before he could say anything else. “Your National Security exception twice a year, still stands.” She assured him. 

“National Security exception...cool. Do I get one too?” Nahele asked. 

“No!” The two answered him unisono. 

“Another one is going to be school.” Nahele groaned again.

“This is non - negotiable, Nahele. Don’t think I forgot your little quip about detentions.” 

“She’s right, schools important. Do your homework, stay on top of your grades and we will be fine.” Steve leaned forward, resting his arms on Romy’s legs. 

Nahele pulled a face but then relented. “Ok.” 

“Rule Number 3” Steve continued. 

“You’ve got rules?” Romy smirked at him. 

“Yeah I’ve got rules!” He tickled her foot and Romy giggled while trying to shake him off. “It’s important, Nahele.” 

The boy nodded seriously. “There are weapons in this house, under no circumstances are you to touch any of the guns or any other weapons. Understood.” 

Nahele nodded again. 

“We need to where you are, cause my job can be dangerous and we might need to pick you up.” Steve let that sit in a little. “You know all of these people already, next to the two of us” he gestured between him and Romy “that’d be Danny, Chin, Kono, Lou or Jerry. No one else! If anyone else ever tells you that I” Romy cleared her throat. “We” Steve corrected “sent them to pick you up. You walk away and call us immediately.” 

Nahele swallowed this was a lot to take in. 

“I need you to tell us that you understood.” 

“I understand! Don’t get in to strangers cars. Call you, if someone approaches me.” 

Steve seemed satisfied with his answer and leaned back “anything else?” 

“Yes, even so we have Mr Clean freak here...” she nudged Steve lovingly with her foot “you’ll have chores.” 

“What for chores are we talking about?” The teenager didn’t look convinced. 

“Telling us where you are, adhering to your curfew, keeping your room tidy and cooking dinner once a week.” Romy ticked off her fingers. 

“Cooking?” Nahele looked at her “You want me to cook for you?” 

“Yes, once a week - dinner. You can choose a day of the week.” 

“And you’ll eat it?”

Romy laughed “As long as you don’t try to poison us, we’ll eat it.” 

Nahele mulled this over, it was doable....”What do I get out of it?”

Romy and Steve shared a look and smile. “A decent allowance.” Steve leaned back on the lanai chair. 

“Sweet!” Nahele grinned happily. “Hey, what happens, if he doesn’t do it? I mean I’ll get my allowance cut and Steve?” 

The answer ‘no sex’ was on Romy’s tongue but she held herself back, no need to scare a teenager. “He’ll get acquainted with the sofa.” she saved instead.

“Hey!” Steve said indignantly “That sofa is way too small for me.” 

“Don’t break the rules then” Romy winked. 

 

——xx——xx——

 

The next morning Nahele woke up early, again. The bed in the spare room was comfortable but it still felt weird. Going from home to street to another home to almost living with his father to living in an actual house with people who cared about him, was messing with him. He got up carefully and made his way downstairs, the house was quiet and you could only hear the waves crashing. Steve and Romy must still be asleep. He wandered downstairs, through the living room into part of the dining room that was used as an office. A lot of Navy paraphernalia hung on the wall, he spend some time studying them. All the McGarrett men were Navy men, accomplished Navy men, but none as much as Steve. His medals hang right next to his dads and grandfathers. It made him feel inadequate, what did he have to offer? A dead mum, a murderer as a dad. 

“Morning ‘hele.” 

He jumped up startled. “I’m so sorry I didn’t mean to pry.” 

Steve came to stand next to him “You aren’t prying. This is your home now.” 

“It’s very impressive all that.” Nahele gestured at the wall in front of him. 

“Yeah my dad and grandpa were heroes.” Steve nodded and touched a picture of his dad gently. 

“You too.” 

“Nah.” Steve waves him off. 

“You served in a war, right?” 

“Yeah, Afghanistan and a couple of others that are still classified. That’s what this one was for.” Steve pointed to a medal to Nahele’s left. 

“Why did you hang them up, if you don’t think you’re a hero.” 

“I didn’t. Romy did.” Her insistent ‘You have never let down a person in your life.’ after  she hammered the final medals and pictures into the wall. He smiled as he told Nahele what Romy had said to him. 

“She’s right, you know.” 

“Thanks kiddo. Anyway what are you doing up so early, it’s just gone 7am” 

“Couldn’t sleep anymore.” Nahele shrugged. 

Steve looked at him empathetically, he got it new bed, new surroundings. A lot of things had changed in the last week for Nahele. He remembered how he tigered around military school the first couple of weeks, trying to make sense of all the changes. “I’m gonna go for a run, want to join me?” 

“Romy not joining you?” 

“For a run” Steve laughed “nope. She’ll join me later when I go for swim and I don’t have a death wish waking her up before 8am on a Saturday.” 

“Let’s go for a run!” Nahele agreed. 

“I’ll meet you outside in a second. Just leaving Romy a note that you are with me.” 

——xx——xx——

Steve scribbled a quick note and stuck it to the fridge. He was about to head out of the door, when he thought one better and headed upstairs quickly. Crossing the sunroom that lead to the upstairs lanai and into their bedroom. “Gorgeous.” he pressed his lips to Romy’s shoulder “I’m taking Nahele running with me.” 

Romy smiled sleepily “Ok.” 

Steve kissed the corner of her mouth before heaving off the edge of their bed, he was stopped by a hand that shot out from underneath the sheet and grabbed his wrist. 

“Stop.” Romy opened one eye and fixed him with a stare “He’s 15 and not a Navy Seal. Go slow with him, please.” 

Steve grinned stupidly down at her “I promise.” the hand let him go and Romy snuggled back under the sheet. One more look at her curled up form and then he headed back downstairs, a jump in his step. 

——xx——xx——

“Look at you, following the rule of telling her where we are.” Nahele teased him as Steve joined him on the front porch. 

“That sofa is murder on my back, kiddo, and I like my bed very much.”  Especially with Romy naked in it, was completely silently though. Both of them laughed and set off at an even pace. Steve tried to match his pace to Nahele’s no need to make the kid keel over on their first outing and risking Romy’s wrath. During the run he tried to get Nahele to open up. His favourite subject at school? Chemistry.  Had he thought about getting his license soon? He’d love to. If there’s a girl? That got Steve a blushing and stuttering Nahele, which amused him greatly. Then after a second of glee, scared the shit out of him, he was raising a boy, a teenage boy. He was going to be responsible for making sure he treated other people with respect and not turn into a little dick. And fuck, he would need to give Nahele ‘The Talk’ too. Oh God!

 

The final meters they raced to the house. “Winner!” Steve exclaimed as he reached the front porch. 

Nahele almost toppled onto the wood, he was so out of breath. “The next time I’ll get you!” 

“I believe that when I see it!” Steve crowed before opening the door. The smell of coffee reached them at the front door. They both tracked into the kitchen. Romy stood at the little island, just pressing down on the french press in front of her. 

“Good Morning!” She greeted them both. 

“Morning, gorgeous.” Steve smiled at her and bent down to kiss her. Romy sighed and slid her hands into his hair, deepening the kiss slightly. 

“Hey...impressionable teenager standing right here.” Nahele grinned. He knew that they were affectionate with each other, but never something like this. The two broke apart and grinned sheepishly. Romy ruffles his hair “Sorry, Nahele.” 

“Don’t apologies! Just cause we tone it down in public doesn’t mean we need to down in our home.” Steve squeezed Romy’s back to his chest and grinned at the teenager “Better get used to it, kiddo.” And kissed Romy’s ear. 

“Ugh” 

“Coffee is ready and there’s water in the fridge.” Romy started pouring herself a coffee and waited for the guys to chug their water. 

“You gonna join us for a swim, Nahele?” 

“Nah, he almost killed me with that run.” 

Romy swatted Steve’s chest lightly “I told you to go slow if he goes with you. Not all of us are navy seals in this house.” 

“I did I swear! Nahele tell her.” 

“It was real fast, Romy. I almost keeled over.” 

“Really Steve!” 

“He’s kidding, gorgeous! I promise I was going almost as slow as if I had you out there with me.” 

That got him a raised eyebrow. “You are never slow with me, that’s the reason I don’t go running.” 

“Ah come one, we are almost going for a stroll when we’re ‘running’” 

Nahele giggles, Steve was digging his hole deeper with every word. 

“You are on McGarrett. Let’s see if you need to stroll down for me in the water as well. I’ll race you.” 

“Wanna bet.” Steve wiggles his eyebrows. 

“I’ll make breakfast once we’re back.” Romy said to Nahele. 

“I jump in the shower and maybe lie down. Need to recover.” 

“Eat a banana, if you’re feeling that weak.” Steve sassed right back. 

“Come on McGarrett, last one’s a rotten egg.” With that Romy turned tail and raced out of the kitchen, whipping her T-shirt over her head, revealing the bathing suit underneath. 

“See you in a bit.” Steve shouted over his shoulder and tore behind Romy. 

At the two beach chairs he caught up to her and threw her over his shoulder, Nahele could hear Romy’s laugh in the kitchen. Once Steve was knee deep in the water he threw Romy in. A second later Romy came back up and she was still laughing. 

Nahele was munching on the aforementioned banana and still watched them from the kitchen window. The two were now in each other’s arms and were kissing, no they were snogging like teenagers, Nahele corrected himself. He really didn’t need to see this, turning away from the window and heading upstairs. The two in the water separated and dove right back into the sea for their swim. Half an hour later the two re-emerged and ambled into the kitchen. Still sharing the odd kiss, Romy started to prep the pancakes while Steve started another coffee round. Nahele came back into a kitchen, smelling of pancakes and coffee. Romy and Steve leaned against the island, coffee mug in hand waiting for the next pancake ready to be flipped. 

“And who won?” 

“Someone decided to cheat.” Steve pouted. 

“Don’t be a sore looser.” Romy chided. 

“Pulling someone’s legs is cheating.” 

“All is fair in a race.” Romy smirked “I think your pancake is burning.” She pointed at the pan. 

“Cheating is cheating.”

“You have a little sister, Steve. We fight dirty cause that’s how our big brothers taught us.” 

Steve still grumbled over his pancakes.

“Fine, let’s call it a draw.” She huffed before standing on her tiptoes and kissing his pout right off of him. 

“What’s the plan for today?” Nahele enquired once the sat down for pancakes. 

“Shopping.” Romy declared. 

“For what?” 

“You need some furniture, don’t you?” Steve pointed out. 

“Maybe you want to repaint the room?” Romy added on.

“Really?”

“It’s your room, Nahele.” 

“How I want it?” 

“Sure.” Steve couldn’t say no, not when Nahele looked so thrilled to finally have his own room that he could decorate. Hell, he’d even paint a checkered pattern all over it as long as he continued to beam at him that way. 

 

——xx——xx——

Chapter 22: Christmas Time is Ohana Time

Summary:

Christmas the time for love, fights, family and therapy?!

Notes:

Warnings: Smut
Episode: Season 6 - Episode - 10 & 11

Hello lovelies,
How are you all?
Yes, I managed to get this chapter out, it fought with me a lot. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas if you’re celebrating. Mine was much quieter than usual but it made for a nice change of pace. Changes also for Romy and Steve, how do you celebrate Christmas when you need to accommodate way too many traditions?
Your reviews and messages make my day so please keep them going.
Enjoy xx

Chapter Text

 

——xx——xx——

 

Thanksgiving had been last week and she’d truly enjoyed delving head first into turkey, pick up football games and all the American traditions that Steve and Nahele came up with. Now though, with Christmas approaching Romy missed the sharp edge of winter in the air, the promise of lit fires and mulled wine. Maybe even snow. She wiped sweat from her brow as she stretched to reach the archway between living and dining room. The chair wobbled precariously underneath her and she still couldn’t reach the spot she wanted. 

“What are you doing?” Steve caught her just in time before she ended up on the floor. 

“Decorating for Christmas!” Romy held out the mistletoe as an explanation. 

“It’s the 30th November. Aren’t you a bit early?” 

Romy shook her head “Not according to my mother.” The tone of her voice had Steve not enquiring further, he knew better than to comment. Romy added  “Apparently last weekend was the first of advent and my lack of decoration and advent wreath was an insult to my upbringing.” 

“Advent?” He quirked an eyebrow, what the heck was Advent?

“It’s a big thing back home.” Romy waved him off “It’s literally the 4 Sundays before Christmas, kinda like a countdown, you light a candle each Sunday.” Steve had never heard of it before. “And obviously Advent calendars from the 1st December.” 

“Now, that I’ve heard of.” Steve smiled his arms still around Romy’s legs. “You gonna do anything about this?” He tapped the mistletoe in her hand. Grinning Romy leaned down to him, she grasped his face between his hands, bending at her waist. She pressed her lips to his left cheek, his right cheek, tip of the nose before nipping at his lips softly. Steve tightened his hold on her legs and lifted her off the chair, never breaking contact of their lips setting Romy down on the floor. 

“Let me.” He murmured against her lips. He took the twig out of her Romy’s hand and hopped onto the chair to fix the mistletoe on the archway. He eyed her from his perch, she looked exhausted but her eyes sparkled. Climbing back down his arms wound around Romy’s hips, Steve’s lips ghosting over her neck. Romy melted into his embrace, letting his lips chase away all thoughts of Christmas and her mother. The decorating needed to wait for a little bit longer.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Their drive was full of cars as Romy pulled in, she was running late, and she hated being late. The house lit up in front of her in all its Christmas glory, lifted her mood though tremendously. Steve and Nahele had strung the fairy lights under Romy’s instructions earlier this week. It made her smile seeing the house twinkling at her when she came home every evening. 

“Hey guys!” She unlocked the door and almost fell over Nahele’s legs, who sat on the floor. Jerry, Chin and Abby on the sofa, while Flippa and Kamekona had moved the dining room chairs into the living room. Danny had claimed the footstool and Steve lounged on his arm chair. Lou observing the whole scene from the back, a cigar in his mouth he looked pretty happy with himself.

A chorus of “Hey Romy!” greeted her back. 

Romy perched onto the side of Steve’s armchair. “Sorry I’m late.” 

“All good.” Steve gave her a kiss hello and pulled her further into his side, offering her some of his burger. 

“Thanks! I’m famished.” Romy moaned as she bit into it. 

“Homework all done, kiddo?” She ruffled Nahele’s hair. 

“Almost.” His eyes trained onto the TV. 

“Good day at school?” She tried again, but Nahele’s focus was not to be divided.

She took another bite of the burger and Kamekona could not stop himself now “Could use a bit more...”  

“What did I tell you about backseat barbecuing in my house!” The exasperated tone in Steve’s voice told Romy that this wasn’t the first time they had this argument. 

“It’s delicious.” She placated Steve at the same time as throwing Kamekona a conspiratorial wink. 

“I saw that.” Steve poked her in her side and liberated his burger “For that treacherous act I’m no longer sharing!” 

“Ahem” Romy took a look around her overflowing living room, with the dining room table acting as a buffet squeezed in on top of that “Not to criticise your set up, but why are we crammed in the living room and not outside on the lanai? We’d have more space.” 

“The weigh in, Romy. We want to watch the weigh in and you guys don’t have a TV outside.” Danny turned to her.  

“Aha” Romy frowned “You do realise the TV is not actually screwed onto the sideboard. You could’ve carried it outside.” 

“Well...” Danny and Steve shared a look, they obviously did not think of that. Romy chuckled “Next time then.” 

“Here comes my boy!” Flippa directed the attention back onto the screen. Romy slid next to Abby on the sofa as Steve and Chin got up for some more food. “I’m sorry. First we need to postpone constantly and now the boys repurposed this into a weigh in watch party instead of a proper bbq.” She handed Abby another beer. 

“It’s ok.” Abby smiled “This is perfect.”

“No its not.” Romy shook her head “And I promise the next time we invite you, we’ll actually have a party and you wont be caged in on the sofa.” She lowered her voice. “And you never know, maybe Danny’ll show you his hibiscus bush trick.” 

“Hey!” Danny shouted and threw a beer cap at Romy “I heard that.” 

A knock stopped them from bickering further “I’m sorry, I’m late!” Max stepped into the house laden with bags and a menorah “I’ve got the candles.” 

“Hey Max!” Steve welcomed his friend. Abby got herself some more food while Max set up the candles and explained his family situation. Steve settled Romy onto his lap, as Jerry and Max delved into the beautiful story of Hanukkah. Romy put the TV on mute, and Max started to sing the prayers, handing out the yarmulkes to the men in the room. A peaceful atmosphere laid itself over the team, while listening to the prayers sung in the ancient language of Hebrew. The peace was over quickly though, as soon as the tone of the TV went back on and the opposing teams decided to have a little pregame fight. 

The rest had left a few minutes earlier leaving them with the clean up, Steve was  loading the dishwasher and Romy straightened out the living room. Nahele cleared his throat getting their attention. He was already in his pj’s, a notebook tightly gripped in his hands. “Can I...can I ask you a question?” He sounded nervous, Romy and Steve shared a look before nodding at the same time. 

“Sure what is it?” Romy put down the last dirty plates and hopped onto countertop. 

“The thing is...well...every couple of months or so...well...”

“Nahele” Steve wiped his hands on a kitchen towel “Just tell us.” 

“My track team...they are doing a camp every semester and last year I couldn’t go.” He pulled out a leaflet of his notebook, handing it over. Steve skimmed the details until his eyes landed on the price $450 for a 3 day camp, his eyes bugged out. “I know its expensive!” Nahele scrambled to say as he saw Steve’s reaction. “But I’ve almost got enough money with my work at the shrimp truck and my allowance, but I need to sign up by the end of the week and pay for it. So I need an advance on my allowance for the next two months.” He bit his lip. He really wanted to go. Last year he was the only one of the team not going. He’d been saving for it ever since, he was not going to be the poor system kid again. 

“Take a breath.” Romy said to him once his rambling monologue finished. “Is this important for the team?” 

“Yes! We do like training for the championships and stuff.” 

“And it’s obviously organised by the school, right? It’s not just the team going, the coaches come as well?” Steve wanted to know. 

“Of course. We’re not the only school going either.” 

“Then sure. Of course you can go.” Romy smiled at the massive grin spreading over Nahele’s face. 

“Thank you! You just need to sign here and if you can give me my advance soon so I can pay at the school.” He started to ramble.

“Hele,” Steve interrupted “You’re not getting an advance.” 

Nahele’s face fell “But Romy just said...”

“What Steve means is, we’re paying for it, all of it.”

“What?” Nahele couldn’t believe he heard correctly. “Are you sure? All of it?” 

“Yes.” Steve nodded and a moment later Nahele barrelled into him and Romy hugging them. 

“Thank you!” 

“It’s what parents do.” Romy returned his hug “Now off to bed with you!” 

“Good night!” Nahele bound out of the kitchen happily. 

“Leave the paper on the desk.” she shouted after him. 

——xx——xx——

“Can you believe it $450 for a freaking 3 day camp.” Steve complained to Danny while walking over to the crime scene. Lou and Danny shared a grin, oh boy Steve was in for a ride. 

“Yeah man, kids ain’t cheap.” Lou shrugged. 

“I get that, but $450, what are they gonna do? Stay in a 5 star hotel or what?” 

“Be glad you don’t have a girl. Cell phone, make up, clothes....its like a nirvana for your money, right Lou?” 

“Right!”

“You know its not even about the money...”

“Not even about the money?” Danny interrupted “Who are you? Where is Steve? You are complaining about every little bit you need to spend and now its not about the money?” 

“Would you shut up for a minute?”

“No, I won’t shut up. You are never paying for anything and suddenly you’re not about the money? What is Romy putting in your coffee?” 

“You should really get a refund from your Therapist.” Lou commented, lifting the police tape for them. 

“He wanted an advance.” Steve said quietly. 

Danny turned around to him “A what?” 

“An advance on his allowance, so that he could pay for this camp himself.” Steve shook his head “he didn’t even think to ask us. Cause he never had someone that could do something like that for him.” It had cut Steve to the core, when he realised that Nahele never had the option of asking an adult for help. 

That shut Danny up “He’s a good kid.”

“Yeah he is.” 

——xx——xx——

The murder of Ben Nakano was Gabriel Waincroft again. Getting the access pass to the arena so he could take out three major crime bosses was a daring plan. They succeeded to protect them, but Steve didn’t know if protecting notorious crime bosses could be counted as a win.

“I think that was a hell of a job, gentlemen.” Lou sounded relieved “Three shooters down, minimal collateral damage.”

“Let’s not pat ourselves on the back just yet. This is only the beginning.” Steve pulled the com link out of his ear “Gabriel took a swing at three families tonight and he missed. I got a gut feeling he’s not gonna stop. A lot of blood will be spilled between now and the end of this thing.” He caught the time on his watch. “Shit I need to go home.”

“Hot date with Romy?” Danny teased. 

“Nah, Nahele is cooking tonight.” 

“You make the kid cook?” The three men walked out of the arena together. 

“Romy’s idea.” Steve shrugged “Something about teaching him life skills instead of just making him do chores.” 

“She ain’t wrong.” Lou threw in. 

“Yeah, last week we had fish fingers and fries.” Steve pulled a face. 

Danny laughed at that “He could come up with something better, couldn’t he?” 

Steve shook his head, Danny was right but he’d rather swallow nails then to admit that. “Says the man who only learnt to cook after Rachel left.” 

“Burn” Lou muttered. 

“Yeah, yeah!” Danny rocked on his heels. “Go home to your home cooked meal. I hope it tastes horrible.” 

——xx——xx——

“Hi!” Steve shouted into the house.  

The house smelled good, some spices were definitely involved in this weeks meal and Steve followed it into the kitchen. “I hope its ok I brought another mouth to feed.” He looked at Nahele, who stood at stove concentrating incredibly hard over a pan. 

“Hey, I’m not just another mouth.” Danny elbowed Steve in the ribs making his own entrance in the kitchen. He hopped up on the counter next to Romy, bumping her shoulder in greeting. “I’m the honorary uncle.” 

Romy watched Steve and Nahele at the stove, they were chatting back and forth, her heart grew another size or so, seeing them together. She smiled as Nahele swatted Steve’s hand away from the pepper grinder. “You’ve got it bad.” Danny whispered in her ear. She couldn’t deny it, the last couple of weeks with Nahele in their house had added something to them that she didn’t realise was missing. The secret ingredient that made an amazing meal to a one of a kind experience. 

“Dinner is ready!” Nahele declared a couple of minutes later. Danny helped him carry out the plates and Steve used the time to properly say hello to Romy. 

“You ok?” She asked after they seperated from an intense kiss. Steve shook his head. “You want to talk about it?” Their fingers finding each other on their own, intertwining,  the soothing feeling of the person you love the most holding you. 

“Later.” The word was heavy with innuendo and not the sexy kind. It was more of a ‘I’m gonna toss and turn tonight, because I couldn’t stop something that was out of my control’ kind. Romy tugged his hand a little making Steve turn around. “I love you.” 

Steve closed his eyes, how did she know what he needed to hear “You’ve got no idea how happy I am about that.” 

“You guys coming or what?” Danny poked his head inside, interrupting their moment. They settled on the lanai and all looked at Nahele. He cleared his throat nervously “So I had a look online and found this. It said simple so I thought, maybe I could manage.” 

“What is it?” Danny poked his fork against the green sauce on his plate. 

“Pan fried Uhu (Parrottfish) with salsa verde and baguette.” 

“It smells lovely.” Romy smiled.

“Yeah well.” Nahele scratched his head embarrassed “The fish kinda fell apart while I tried to flip it but....”

“It’s really good.” Steve complimented after trying a couple of bites. 

“Really?” 

“Yes.” 

They all looked at Danny waiting for his verdict, but Danny was too busy shovelling in the food. Romy kicked him under the table. 

“Huh?” 

“The food, its great right?” She asked pointedly. 

“What? Oh yes! I’m coming every week now for dinner.” Danny mumbled around his mouth full of food. 

Nahele let out a breath of relief, maybe this whole cooking thing wasn’t too bad after all. 

 

——xx——xx——

 

Turning into the road leading to Halawa Prison the others joined their little car convoy. Lou, Chin, Jerry and Danny had the same somber expression as Romy and Steve. The drive had been quiet and tense, today was going to be a horrible day. 

They watched as Adam took off his wedding band and dropped it in Kono’s hand for safe keeping. Romy’s hand tightened around Steve’s, she didnt want to imagine how Kono must feel right now. She hoped that Kono and Adam could find the right words to make it hurt just a tiny fraction less. Letting your partner go like that, knowing you wont be able to hold him, to kiss him, to fuck him for two years. She shivered despite the warm Hawaiian sun, just thinking about it. Heaviness in the air as the stepped out of the car and making their way slowly over to Kono. One after another enveloping their friend into a hug, trying to make her feel less alone. Romy wiped Kono’s tears away as she let her out of her arms. “There is nothing I can say that will make it better or hurt less.” 

Kono nodded, she appreciated her friends honesty. Taking the key out of Kono’s hands she said “I’ll drive.”

The guys formed a protective circle around their friend, guiding her to the passenger side of her car. 

“Call us if you need anything.” Chin whispered to Romy as she got into the drivers seat. 

“Thanks. I will.” 

Steve had finished clipping Kono’s seat belt and looked up to his girlfriend ‘I love you.’ was said without words this time. Romy reversed back out of the road, her hand holding Kono’s the entire drive back home. Renee stood on the porch waiting for them to come back, she opened her arms to Kono. The moment Kono leaned into it, she broke. What a ‘Mom’ hug could do. 

Steve and Nahele found the three women later that day curled up together and asleep in the hammock strung between the two trees next to the shed. 

“Come on.” Steve clasped his hand on Nahele’s shoulder guiding him back inside “Let’s get dinner started. They must be famished.” 

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy wiped her hands on the apron she was wearing, before knocking on the closed door. She opened the door, after what she assumed was a mumbled “Yes.” 

“You want to give me a hand downstairs?” She leaned against the door jamb and surveyed the room. It was surprisingly tidy for teenager, Steve must have rubbed off on Nahele already. The wind coming through the open windows let the abstract patterned curtains dance. Nahele lounged on his bed - phone planted firmly in front of his face. Romy rolled her eyes, the lounge chair they’d bought in their initial furniture haul almost invisible beneath what she assumed was clean laundry. She knew better than to say anything, if she remembered her own teenage years correctly. 

“What do you need a hand with, Romy?” Nahele’s head popped up behind his phone screen. 

“Baking Christmas Biscuits.” 

“Christmas Biscuits?” 

“Cookies...I mean cookies.” Romy let out a laugh, damn American English. 

“Why are you baking cookies? We can just buy them.” Nahele shrugged as he shuffled up against the headboard. 

Romy gasped her hand flying up to her heart “The heresy.” She teased. 

“Why do you need my help?” 

“I don’t know...thought it’d be something fun to do together.” 

“Why?” 

“It’s a Christmas tradition in my family.” Romy pushed off the door jamb, stepping further into the room. At the word family the teenager stiffened. It had been a lot about family in the last weeks. Christmas traditions being shared, trying to combine all three of theirs to create their own. He hadn’t been able to contribute much, couldn’t remember most of the things he did when his family was still complete, before his father went to prison, before his Mom got sick and the money got tight. The only thing he remembered was the tight face of his Mom when he presented her his letter for Santa. And then the last two years...in the homeless camp...Christmas had not been the source of happiness for him.

“Me and my Mum used to bake together.” Romy added cheerily. 

“You’re not my mother!” It broke out of Nahele and he shoved off the bed.

Taken a back, Romy watched him pace the space between his bed and desk. “I know that.” Her words hesitant. 

“Then stop trying to be!” He shouted and whirled around to face her. 

Romy took a step back as if Nahele struck her. “I...I...I can’t” She stuttered out.  Turning on her heel, she left Nahele standing in his bedroom. She closed the door to the sunroom quietly, her mind was racing. She knew she wasn’t his mum, god she knew that! She knew that he loved her and that there was no way she ever could replace her. She sounded like a wonderful woman who did her utmost best with a horrible hand she’d been dealt with. She had wanted to make this Christmas special, their first Christmas as a family of three, her first Christmas on Hawaii. But what did she do? She had forced herself and her Christmas cheer onto Nahele. She should have realised that he had a hard time, that he was missing his Mom. God, how stupid could she be! Romy sank onto the sun lounger on the first floor lanai, her forehead sinking into her palm. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! 

——xx——xx——

Nahele did not know what to do. Romy had shot out of his room but he still saw the stricken look on her face. He hadn’t meant to make her sad and now the door to the bedroom was closed. Now what? Should he knock on the door? Would Romy be angry? Would she shout at him, like he had shouted at her? He sat down on the bottom step, head in his hand. She wouldn’t send him back, would she?

“Nahele?” 

Nahele head jerked up. The moment his eyes met Steve’s his bottom lip started to quiver. “I...I’m so sorry.” He stuttered. 

“What are you sorry for, kiddo?” Steve sunk down next to him. His mind racing as Nahele moved closer to him. 

“I...said something stupid.”

“Ok?” Steve asked, adjusting the gun holster from digging into his hip. When Nahele didn’t say anything further, he nudged him “I need a bit more than that.” 

“I shouted at Romy.” Nahele mumbled and he refused to meet Steve’s eyes. 

“Did you guys had a fight then?” 

“She’s gonna send me back...” fear clawed at Nahele’s faces. 

Steve wanted to laugh, now this is the most ridiculous thing he’d ever heard “Never! Romy would never sent you away and me neither. You want to tell me what happened.” 

Slowly the teenager retold what happened this afternoon. “I’m so sorry!” 

Steve massaged his forehead “Why don’t you tell her?” He slung his arm around Nahele’s shoulder. Nahele studied the tips of his sneakers, he was scared, what if Romy didn’t forgive him? 

“Shall I see what the situation is?” 

Nahele nodded. 

Steve squeezed his shoulder and got up “It’ll be all right.” 

——xx——xx——

Romy was still sitting on the lounger, arms wrapped around her legs and her forehead resting against her knees. Sliding between her and the backrest he pulled Romy into his front, without a word she curled into him. Her head rested on his shoulder with a shaky breath. He could see the tear tracks on her cheeks and used the pad of his thumb to wipe them away. “Nahele told me what happened, gorgeous.” He whispered into her hair. 

A choked sob escaped her, and she snuggled deeper into his embrace her cheek rubbed on his shirt, smearing her tears all over him. 

“Do I make a good tissue?” Steve’s mouth curved into a soft smile against her temple. 

“I’m so stupid.”

Steve lifted her chin so Romy would meet his eyes and saw how serious he was “You are not stupid! I never want you to say that ever again.” 

“But...”

“No.”

“I just prattled on about Christmas traditions and cookie baking with my Mum and...he said I wasn’t his mother.” She swallowed “I know I’m not...but I love him, like he’s...”

“Like he’s ours.” Steve finished her sentence. 

Romy nodded, glad he understood. 

“He’s worried that you’ll send him back.”

“What?” Romy pushed herself up, trying to scramble out of his arms. 

“Hey, relax. I told him that would never happen.” 

She fell back into him “Thank you.” 

Steve held her to him for another moment “You good to go back down?”

“Yes.” Romy smiled shakily and held out her hand for him to pull her up. Steve’s eyes fell onto her arm, red scratches marred its skin. He pressed a kiss to the irritated area. “I love you.” 

——xx——xx——

Stepping into the kitchen, Romy’s breath caught in her throat. Nahele was bent over the kitchen island, her recipe cards spread out and he typed furiously into his phone. “Kiddo.” 

Nahele’s head snapped up and he stared at Steve and Romy for a moment before he moved around the island hesitantly. “I...I thought we could bake Christmas cookies, but your recipes are in German and I can’t find translations for everything.” He gestured behind him. 

The smile breaking onto Romy’s face was almost blinding “I’d love to.” 

Nahele took that as a good sign and stumbled into her arms “‘M so sorry.” 

“Oh kiddo. It’s ok.” Romy squeezed him to her. 

“No.” He shook his head. “I was mean and rude and I didn’t...”

“I forgive you. And I’m sorry too. Christmas is my favourite holiday and I just wanted to make it the best for all of us. And I just went overboard.” 

“I forgive you.” Nahele echoed her. 

“Good.” Romy held Nahele at his shoulders. “I need you to listen to me. We love you. We’ll never send you away, ok.” 

Nahele nodded sincerely. 

“Good, now lets bake some cookies.” Romy clapped her hands. 

They spend the evening making way too many cookies, traditional German family favourites, snickerdoodles and delicious coconut meringues. The whole house smelled delicious once they finished. They arranged all the different kinds into tins, and Romy started to make separate little bags for their friends. Nahele had  disappeared into bed, it was a school night after all. Steve clicked the last tin shut and watched Romy tie a bow around the goodie bags. “You know I really need to get a private viewing of this apron.” He nipped at her earlobe. 

“What?” Romy giggled and moved away from his tickling teeth. 

“You and this apron.” He murmured. His breath fanning over her neck, making Romy shivered. 

“You’ve got a Martha Stewart fantasy?” Romy teased back, her hand caressing his chest. 

“Not really...just’ve been imaging you wearing nothing but this apron for the last hour. The way it ties so snuggly, accenting your boobs.” He played with the bow tied underneath her breasts. Romy laughed out loud and got up on her toes to kiss him. “Now thats a fantasy I can work with.” She started to wiggle out of her jeans, trying to leave the apron in place. 

——xx——xx——

In the end their Christmas turned into a massive Hodgepodge of traditions. They finally had decided on a Christmas Tree, Steve and Nahele had vetoed Romy’s idea of a palm tree and they settled on a Norfolk Pine. Finding a proper space for it in the house wasn’t easy either. Steve suggested the living room but Romy and Nahele convinced him that the reveal on Christmas Eve would be more impactful behind closed doors. So they moved the desk and placed the tree in the corner behind the french doors separating the dining from the living room. 

“You know you always have a place with us.” Romy repeated for umpteenth time. 

“Exactly what you need on your first Christmas as a family.” Kono scoffed and handed Romy another ornament for the tree “Someone encroaching on your family holiday.” 

“Come off it!” Romy gave her a friend a look. “Steve! Please tell Kono she’s welcome to join us for Christmas.” 

Steve chuckled, watching the little stand off between the two friends. He handed both women a glass of Prosecco “Join us for a Christmas. That’s an order.” 

“There you go” Romy grinned sweetly “Order from your boss, now you can’t say no.” 

Kono shook her head, she knew when she was beat. “I’ll be here bright and early on Christmas Day. Gives you Christmas Eve for a bit alone time.” 

“We’ve got a teenager. What is alone time?” Steve scoffed good naturally. Romy slapped his arm, before she snuggled into his side “We had alone time yesterday.” 

“Ugh.” Kono pulled a face “I’m still here, you know.” 

“Is this a German thing decorating the tree only a day before Christmas?” Kono asked after a while. 

“I think so. We’ve been doing it since I can remember. We also celebrate on Christmas Eve.” 

“I’ve heard that. You gonna do that as well?” 

“Combination of everything.” Romy smiled. 

“Don’t let her nice face fool you!” Steve interjected from the other side of the room. “Her negotiation tactics are ruthless.” 

Romy stuck her tongue out at him “I didn’t hear you complaining.” She turned back to Kono. “Christmas Eve will be German Traditions. Christmas Day American and on Boxing Day we’ll do our own.” 

“Well then I’ll see you Christmas Day for an all American Christmas.” For the first time since Adam went to prison, Kono looked forward to something. 

——xx——xx——

“Stop right there!” 

Nahele froze with his hand on the french door handle. “What?” 

“You’re not allowed in there until this evening, when the bell chimes.” 

“What!” 

“It’s Christmas Eve - German traditions today. And in my family we are not allowed to see the tree until we come back from church and the angel rings the bell. Be glad I’m not making you go to church and we just listen to some Christmas carols instead.” 

“I just wanted to see the tree.” Nahele moaned. 

“Tonight.” 

“But...”

“No buts.” Romy steered Nahele away from the covered French Doors towards the kitchen. 

Steve was making breakfast “You got caught as well?” He greeted Nahele. 

“She’s ruthless.” Nahele nodded towards Romy. 

“I heard that.” She slapped the back of their heads. 

——xx——xx——

Nahele’s face once she opened the door to the dining room in the evening was one full of wonder. The tree sparkled and twinkled in competition with the candles on the dining table. 

“Merry Christmas!” Romy stood with the bell in her hand, dressed in a forest green off shoulder dress, patterned with gold stars along the bottom hem. 

“Frohe Weihnachten!” 

She smiled before pulling them both into a hug, she hadn’t realised how much she could miss her own language. She handed Steve a glass of champagne, even Nahele was allowed a sip of champagne today and they clinked glasses “Mele Kalikimaka!” 

They settled on the floor in front of the tree, where next to all the presents they had laid out a spread of cheeses, pate and German sausages. Romy kneeled with the skirt pooling around her, poking at the presents trying to figure out who gets which. Christmas music was playing softly in the background as they exchanged presents. A new watch for Steve from Romy “Turn it around.” She whispered and Steve traced the engraving on the back ‘When you meet the love your life, time stops.’ Steve settled Romy between his legs, holding her close. 

Nahele unwrapped his smallest present first “Ahem?” He held up the plastic card that fell out of the artfully wrapped enveloped. “It’s a bank card, ‘Hele.” Steve explained. 

“But I don’t have a bank account...I wasn’t allowed to” Nahele held the bank card carefully in his hands. 

“We set one up for you. Not everyone accepts cash anymore, and it’s always good to have a bank account.” 

“Does that mean I can get my wage in there too?” He had never felt safe walking around with his two week wages from Kamekona in cash and then needing to hide it away from the other boys in his old flat. 

“Sure.” 

“Thank you!” The next thing he unwrapped was much more bulky and he pulled out a massive blanket. 

“Every kid in my family gets a blanket at birth.” Romy shrugged at his questioning look. 

“You made this?” Nahele fingered the blanket in his hand appreciatively. 

“Yes.” Romy spread out the blanket, revealing several different fabrics that made the blanket. 

“What’s this.” Steve had bent around Romy pointing to a bright coloured square. 

“Tea towel.”

“What!” Nahele grabbed the square inspecting it further. 

“My gran used to make these for us. After she died, I took over. When I made Kristin’s I’d run out of fabric, and the only thing I had  was the inherited tea towels from Gran. Do you know how hard it was to find one that wasn’t covered in florals?” Romy giggled. Steve and Nahele joining. They were still chuckling when Steve handed Romy  another meticulous wrapped boxed. She tore into the wrapping paper without hesitation revealing a stack of books “For our secret book club.” Steve whispered in her ear. “Thank you!” 

“Your other present is outside.” 

Romy turned around in his arms “Now that sounds ominous.” 

“It’s from both of us.” Steve opened the door to the lanai, leading Romy outside. Standing proudly against a lanai chair, adorned with a massive red and golden bow was a surf board. She turned around to them, her hands covering her mouth “Is this really for me?” Romy hopped excitedly on the spot. 

Clearly amused by her antics, Steve smiled. “You do know you’re allowed to touch it.” She narrowed her eyes at his teasing, but stepped forward to inspect her new board. It was beautiful shades of blue with her name written on the front of the board. Steve let his hands rest on Romy’s hips, she was still admiring her present. “Happy?” 

“I love it! Thank you.” 

“Thought that could be our new tradition” Nahele supplied standing on her left “Surfing on Boxing Day.” 

 

Much later when the wrapping paper was folded away and Nahele had bid them good night Romy and Steve were still lounging in front of the tree. All the lights in the house were turned off, only the Christmas tree was still shining bright illuminating the room. They had found an old record with Christmas music, Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby were crooning through the speakers. Romy sat between Steve’s legs, her fingers trailing on his legs, circling his knee cap, dipping to the inner seam of his jeans. Steve sucked in a breath, spilling some champagne he was topping up. “Stop it.” He scolded, handing Romy her champagne coupe. 

“You really want me to stop?” She raised her eyebrows and turned in his hug. Her fingers dipping into the waistband of his jeans, making his breath hitch once more. Steve’s lips captured Romys in a deep kiss, their tongues dancing. Steve buried his hands in her hair, lifting the curls of her neck, letting them fall through his hands. One of his hands coming to settle at the base of her head, the other finding the zipper of her dress, pulling it down slowly. The dress falling open, revealing Romy’s bare breasts. He rolled a nipple between his fingers and Romy let out a gasp “Steve.” She looked at him with desire “Off!” She tugged on his shirt. Steve grinned, helping Romy with the buttons of his shirt. Making quick work of his shirt and jeans, he helped her out of the dress. Carefully he moved them back, so he was hovering over her. Steve smiled down at her “You good?” 

“Perfect.” Romy’s palm against his jaw, tracing his lips with her fingers. He bit her thumb, eliciting another moan. He braced on his elbows, and with a thrust of his hips he slid into her. Romy’s lids fluttered shut at the familiar feeling. He felt so good filling her, thrusting in and out of her, hitting all the right  spots. She arched into him, her toes curling as he sped up. “I love you.” 

Steve’s hand wandered down her body, finding her clit, circling it increasing the pressure the tighter he drew the circles. “You gonna cum?” He whispered in her ear. “Close.”Romy tightened her legs around his hip, squeezing him, matching his rhythm frantically. “Fuck, Steve!” Romy’s hands wandered over his back, down to his butt.

“Shh...” Steve clamped his hand over her mouth “don’t wake up Nahele.” 

She nuzzled his neck, her mouth attaching itself, swallowing her moans. Tasting his skin, the saltiness of sweat, his aftershave. He was intoxicating. 

“Come for me.” Steve’s voice low, laced with arousal, his finger stilling on her clit, finding just the right spot to press down. 

“Oh god yes. Right there, Steve” Their mouths met in a sloppy kiss, Romy’s fingernails digging into his shoulders. She started to clench around him, drawing him in further. Her whole body shaking, as he made her see stars again. Her hands and legs clapping down, enclosing him in her embrace. Her orgasm triggered his climax . Growling, he drove into her deeper, wanting to feel every inch of it, every spasm. Her legs tightened on him, holding him closer. Her climax triggered his release, holding Romy to him as the tremors slowly disappeared. Their breaths mingled as they tried to calm down their heartbeats. Touches turned soft, no longer insistent, but the need to have their hands trace each other’s skin hadn’t vanished. Romy closed her eyes, feeling Steve’s weight on her, anchoring her in the moment of magic. 

 

——xx——xx——

 

The rest of the Christmas break passed with more presents, foods and video calls. Spending Christmas Day with others, carving turkey and opening overfilled stockings, had everyone even Kono and Danny in a good mood. On Boxing Day Steve and Nahele took Romy to the North Shore to christen her new board. 

New Year’s Eve had Romy at work. The hotel had been hosting a New Year’s Eve gala for decades and she couldn’t miss it. She managed to escape only a couple of minutes to midnight to toast in the New Year with Steve. Standing on their stretch of beach in a ball gown with her heels dangling off her fingers, they shared a tame midnight kiss, very aware of the audience they had. After one of Nahele’s friends got grounded, he and his friends as well as Grace and Will Grover had reconvened to their house for a small party. Having the house full of teenagers was not Steve’s ideal night but seeing Romy in her dress, all made up, swaying with her in the sand to some music he had never heard off, made up for it. 

 

——xx——xx——

 

Nahele and Romy shared another look. The could hear Steve’s and Danny’s squabbling all the way into Business Class. 

“I’m feeling really sorry for the woman sitting between those two.” Nahele took sip of his coke. 

“Oh yeah.” Romy nodded. She smiled gratefully at the air hostess filling up her wine glass. 

“This is really sick, Romy.” Nahele stared outside the window “The first time on a plane and straight away business class.” 

“Don’t get used to it. The next time we fly, we’ll be back in Economy.” 

“So what are we actually going to do on Maui?” 

“You will be laying on the beach and I’ll be inspecting a hotel and sitting in stuffy conference rooms.” She winked at him. 

Nahele nodded “I can deal with that.” 

“I thought so.” Romy rummaged into her bag and found Steve’s wallet in it. “Oh for fuck sakes, Steve.” She grumbled under her breath. 

“I can give it to him.” He held out his hand and was already starting shimmy over Romy. 

“Thanks, kiddo.” 

Walking back to where Steve and Danny sat, Nahele caught the last couple of words from Steve “So, Aliza what brings you to Maui today?”

“Just visiting some friends. And you guys?” 

“That’s a funny story, Danny and I are attending a workshop...” he trailed off when he saw Nahele approaching. “‘Hele is everything alright?” His mind going straight to worst case scenarios. 

“Yeah, sure.” Nahele’s eyes narrowed at the young blonde woman who’s hand was still sitting on Steve’s arm. “You forgot your wallet in Romy’s bag.” 

“Oh thanks!” Steve took his wallet. 

“And who are you?” The blonde now turned her attention to Nahele. 

“Me...” he shared a look with Steve, how to explain the whole foster situation to a stranger “I’m his kid.” He smiled and saw how the woman started to retract her hand. “My mum, his girlfriend” Nahele nodded to Steve “is sitting a couple of rows ahead. She has a business meeting, something about buying a hotel “ Nahele’s eyes shone proudly as he said this. “While these two attend their workshop.” 

“Well I see you later, Dad. I got promised more peanuts.” With a cheery wave Nahele turned around and walked back into his seat. 

 

——xx——xx——

 

“He did what?” Romy giggled sitting down on the chaise lounge in her hotel room. “He really called us Mum and Dad?” 

“I didn’t know what to say.”

“Well. Maybe you should stop flirting with women who aren’t me.” 

“Yeah.” Steve scratched his head. “I didn’t mean to, honestly. I didn’t even realise I was...” 

Romy laughed out loud at his obvious discomfort. “Schnuffi, I know you. I know that you can be a bit flirty sometimes without meaning to, but Nahele doesn’t.” 

“I talk to him. Tonight dinner at the steak house?” 

“Sounds perfect. I’ll see you later.” 

“See ya.” 

 

“Romy really needs to convince her boss to buy shares in this place.” Steve had just finished reading all the amnesties on their way to their seminar. 

“You just want to come back here for free.” Danny scoffed. 

“Hey did you see this?” Steve pointed to Dolphins “Of course I want to come back.” 

Stepping into the conference room they were greeted by Lorraine their therapists for the next couple of days. Making small talk with her, Steve almost missed her saying “kindly place your cell phones in the box.” 

His head shot up, nope he needed his phone to text a live commentary to Romy, he’d promised her. “I’m sorry?” He hoped he heard wrong. 

“It’s this rule I have. We are about to take a deep spiritual journey into the inner world that you two share and we can’t have any distractions.” How was he not supposed to text this verbatim to Romy? 

“I see” Danny mumbled reading a piece of paper in front of them. “Why...why...what is this, Lorraine?” 

“Oh that is our itinerary for this week.” 

“Ahaha, cause it says overcoming sexual incompatibility.” 

Lorraine nodded seriously “Sex is a vital component for a loving relationship.” 

Steve’s head whipped over to the poster next to Lorraine’s chair, the realisation sinking in. 

“Aha.” Danny turned to Steve unimpressed “You signed us up for couples therapy?” 

“Oops.” Maybe losing his phone to Lorraine was for the best, Romy would never let him live this down. 

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy had not been able to contain her glee once Steve told her how they wound up in couples therapy. She had send him back slightly tipsy to Danny, so they could make up. Next morning Danny was still in a funk, and also in a sassy mood when Lorraine asked him for his opinion he didn’t held back. 

“I don’t know when it became so important to overanalyse everything in our lives. To talk about everything within our relationships, ok? You guys love each other, that’s enough, to me. You know, you are there for her, she’s there for you. That’s, that’s commitment, right? This...this... everybody is poking at everybody. Poke, poke, poke. It’s like an open wound, you know, eventually you’re gonna say something that you can’t take back. You’re chipping away at all the good and in the end of the day there’s nothing left but the bad. And then let me tell you what happens. You are sitting alone in a one bedroom apartment, putting a futon together for your daughter coming over every Wednesday night. You got pizza on speed dial and not the good kind, ok. And that’s not a place you wanna be. Please trust me.” The room shared a look, but Danny wasn’t finished. “You know who’s got a great relationship? This guy.” He pointed at Steve, who looked surprised. “He and his girlfriend. Somehow they figured it out, and by that I mean mainly Romy. But you know why? Cause they do things for each other and they somehow managed to come up with a way to let the other know how they feel about each other, with them actually hearing it. And that say’s something, cause he’s the most closed off person I know.” 

“Well guys...what can I say” Steve spread his arms “I think we made some progress here today. That was really good.” 

Walking out of the conference room Steve held Danny back “Did you mean that?” 

“What?” 

“About me and Romy?”

Danny shrugged, he knew he shouldn’t have said anything. Steve was never going to let him live this down. 

“Thanks. That means a lot.” He pulled Danny into a hug. 

“Hey guys!” Romy waved from a table situated in the middle of the lanai. 

“Hey you.” Steve bend down to kiss her “How was your day?” 

“Boring.” She waved him off “I want to know all about yours. How was therapy? Any decent tips?” 

Steve and Danny shared a look, an understanding passing between the two of them. “Nah, Romy. Nothing to report.” 

She pouted “That’s boring. Anyway I ordered us some burgers, Nahele should be back from beach volleyball any moment.” 

“Perfect!” The two sank down into chairs opposite of her. Danny resting his ankle on the edge of Romy’s chair. She took some ice out of the bucket next to her and laid it carefully onto Danny’s swollen ankle. He groaned as the cold hit him, and the throbbing lessened. “Love you, Romy.” 

“Love you too, Danno.” 

Chapter 23: Love is a powerful thing

Summary:

Aunt Deb’s visit brings a to do list, some soul searching and lots of tears

Notes:

Warnings: death, grief
Episode: Season 6 - Episode - 12

Hello lovelies,

Happy New Year! Let’s do this 2021.

I created a banner for this fic, you can find it in the notes on the first chapter. Check it out. I loved this episode, so it got its own chapter. You just want to wrap poor Steve into a hug by the end of it.

Cannot wait to read your comments and reviews!

Enjoy xx

Chapter Text

 

The devastating phone call reached them on the first day of school after winter break. Romy had been in the downstairs guest room finishing the last stitches on her new skirt, when she heard the landline ring. It weren’t many people calling it anymore, mainly her grandma and Aunt Deb. Steve’s deep voice reached her through the ajar door. His voice dipped even lower for a second, then silence. She found him on the rocking chair, phone still in his hand. He looked up when he felt her presence in the room “Leonard died.”

——xx——xx——

Romy waited alone at Honolulu airport for Deb, Mary and Joanie. Steve had been called in on a case and Nahele still at track practise. It was a solemn group that reached the McGarrett Family home, even the weather mirrored their mood. The sky dark and stormy, threatening to break loose in a thunderstorm any moment. Romy had cooked some comforting pasta dish, and wine was distributed a bit more generous than on an usual midweek dinner. Steve was on clean up duty that evening and Deb offered her help, despite everyone’s protests. They were washing the final dishes, watching Mary and Romy outside on the lanai. The two women were bend over a cell phone, their laughter floating into the house.

“Have I told you that I’m really happy for you.” Aunt Deb squeezed Steve’s soapy hand.

Steve smiled bashfully “I don’t know what you mean.”

“Oh Stevie. I mean this” her hand gesture enveloped the whole house “Last year when I was here for my wedding. I...I must admit, I was really worried about you.”

He rolled his eyes, but didn’t dare to interrupt his aunt.

“Yeah, yeah. Let an old woman be. You might not see it, but I do. You are more secure...” she appraised her nephew fondly once again, trying to find the right word “You are unabashedly you now, you wouldn’t let yourself before...” Aunt Deb leaned against the sink, taking the serving bowl of him and started to dry it. “You gonna ask her to marry you?”

Steve gasped, a quick glance outside, making sure Romy and Mary hadn’t heard them. “What...no...?”

“Why not?” Deb frowned.

“It’s to soon.” Steve sighed - it wasn’t that the thought hadn’t crossed his mind but what if that’d be the beginning of the end?

Deb mouth pursed and she said plainly “You’ve taken in a teenager.”

“I know...”

“Stevie, please. You both are so lucky to have found each other earlier in life. Look at me and my Leonard” she took a deep breath “What would have happened if we waited last year...”

“We are happy.” Steve interrupted her. He truly appreciated his aunt but this was not the same “We love each other, we’re raising Nahele together. We know what we want from each other.”

Aunt Deb nodded, she knew her nephew to well. She had pushed enough buttons for tonight. “I’m glad, but please tell me you’re going to think about it.”

Steve sighed “I promise.”

“Thank you! That’s all your old aunt wanted to hear.” She laid her head against Steve’s arm.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Aunt Deb, dressed in her beautiful wedding gown, stood in the garden of the Royal Hawaiian holding the urn tightly. Voice strong, laced with the deepest love and sadness, as she bade her final farewell to Leonard. Her family stood watch, Steve and Romy together, holding hands leaning on each other, Mary with Joanie perched on her hip, truly found herself as a mother. She could not be prouder of her niece and nephew.

“I remember this day, I was wearing this wedding dress. The trade winds had settled, there wasn’t a cloud in sight. The water as blue as the sky, it was magnificent. But compared to you” she sighed “you were standing there in your tuxedo, so...so handsome, so dapper. You called me your angel. Your one in a million. I’ve never been so happy. I miss you darling.” She kissed the urn one last time. Steve stepped forward to take the urn to Tamika “take care of my Leonard.”

“Yes ma’am.” He hugged her tightly. Taking the lei from Romy, Mary and Debbie he walked down to the beach were Kamika was already waiting for him. Romy moved to the side making space for Steve next to Debbie. He slid his arm around his aunt pulling her close, his other hand finding its way to Romy, hooking their little fingers together. Watching Kamika paddling away, taking Leonard on his final journey.

They waited in front of the hotel for Steve’s car to be brought around. “The morning is yours Aunt Deb, what do you want to do?” Steve asked.

“What do I want to do?” She hefted her handbag on her shoulder, “I want to spend it with my family.” Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Romy nodding to a member of staff indicating she’d be there soon. “And that includes you, young lady.”

“Deb, I should go back to work...have a McGarrett family morning.”

“You are family, sweet girl, so you better tell that efficient assistant of yours that you won’t be in today. And while we’re at it we could pick up....”

“No!” Romy now pointed a finger at her. “As much as I love the sentiment, Nahele has school.” She bumped her hip into Steve. “Don’t look at him, he’s the softie. He’d get Nahele out of school for a good wave.”

Steve shrugged sheepishly. “It was one time and an amazing wave.” Neither he nor Nahele had a pleasant day when Romy found out.

“Ok ...ok ...then I want to drive your truck.” Deb relented under Romy’s mum glare.

“What?” Steve’s eyes bugged a little.

“Your pick up truck. I want to take that bad boy for a spin.”

“Oh my” Mary let out.

“Do you even know how to drive, Aunt Deb?” No way in hell would she drive his car.

“Honey, I lived in L.A. my whole life, I was driving before you were in camo diapers.” That and Steve’s facial expression gave Romy the giggles. The image of a baby Steve in camo diapers was just too hilarious. Did he had aneurysm face back then, too?

“I know.” Mary interjected “but why the sudden urge to drive a truck.”

“You know actually, it’s for Leonard. Last year we got together and we made up a list of things each one of us wanted to do before we died.”

“Like a bucket list?” Steve had recovered from the initial shock.

“Yeah.”

“What was on it?” Romy wanted to know.

“Well, we wanted to see the pyramids, learn to ski and I wanted to get a tattoo.” Deb answered way too innocent.

“Oh don’t.” Steve said. “Don’t get a tattoo. Trust me it’s not that...”

“Too late” proudly she showed off her forearm a red heart with D + L. “Yeah sorry, kiddos. Now you’re not the only one in the family with ink.”

Steve rolled his eyes, like he did when Nahele said something incredibly ‘teenage dumb’ “Yeah good, I’m glad you got ink.”

Romy bit her lip, he played the disapproving dad so well, but she didn’t dare to point it out.

“Well, we never did get to finish the list, but one of the items on Leonard’s list was to drive a police car.”

“Such a boy thing.” Mary groaned.

“So, how many ponies under that hood.”

Steve crossed his arms “I really...I really prefer you didn’t find out.”

“Steven, I hate to play this card but I just lost my husband. You are really not going to me deny me this.” With that she pushed past Steve heading to his car.

“Come one Schnuffi” Romy kissed his cheek, letting her hand rest on his lower back guiding him to the car, “How bad could it be.”

——xx——xx——

How bad could it be, my ass. Romy had slightly miscalculated from where Steve got his driving skills. Debbie was flying over the freeway, siren on and a massive smile on her face. Steve however clung to the handle above his car window.

“We are flying!” Joanie giggled.

“We are indeed.” Romy tickled her belly, then reaching forward to squeeze Steve’s shoulder. “You ok there?”

He swallowed before answering ”I’m good.”

“You look a little green.” Deb commented, turning to him.

“Can you please watch the road. Please keep your eyes on the road!”

“This is torture for you isn’t it?” Needled Mary as only a little sister could.

“Mhm” Steve pressed out and Romy couldn’t hold in the giggle, her hand still on his shoulder. But his discomfort was just too funny to stop Debbie from excalerating further.

Mary’s tone could not contain the glee at her big brothers pain “Are you gonna puke?”

“I’m not gonna puke.” Steve defended himself, but he swallowed twice, trying to keep his composure.

That initiated a chorus lead by Joanie from the back seat “puke...puke...puke...”

“Joanie don’t...I’m not gonna puke, Joanie....I’m not gonna puke...tell her to be quiet.”

A sharp overtaking manoeuvre made Deb cheer and Steve’s knuckles turned even whiter. The only good thing was that it stopped the chanting from the back seat. He was so glad when he made it out of his car in one piece on the HPD Crime Lab car park. Romy got out with him “I promise, I’m gonna drive now.” She tried to be reassuring.

“And no sirens.” Steve stressed.

Romy mimed a cross over her heart “I swear.”

They kissed, earning themselves a wolf whistle from their audience in the car. “Thanks.” Steve whispered.

“Anytime. And do me a favour drink a ginger ale or something, you do look a bit green.”

——xx——xx——

“So ladies!” Romy adjusted the mirrors of the car “Where to next?”

Debbie pulled out her list “Epic Shopping Trip!” She announced.

That elicited a cheer from all the ladies in the car, even Joanie joined in. They were in the second store, when Romy’s cell phone started ringing.

“Erhardt.”

“Almost as bad as Steve.” Mary mumbled to Deb, who chuckled in response.

“Sorry ladies. But my day of fun has been officially cut short.” Romy quickly stepped back into the changing room, missing the ‘I told you so’ eye roll from Mary. She removed the champagne coloured polka dot dress (https://www.lucyparis.com/products/kiliana-polka-dot-dress) quickly, slipping back in her navy culottes and oversized light blue and white striped tailored shirt. Ready for work.

“I’ll see you ladies at home.” Romy gave each of them a kiss on the cheek, she headed out to catch a cab back to the hotel.

Once she was back in her office, she dialled Steve but only reached his voicemail, switching over to what’s app

R: Was needed back at work. So sorry. Don’t know if I can make if for after school with Nahele. You gonna be home on time?

S: Sure, home by 4pm. Where is my car?

R: with Mary and Deb...booster seat. They promised no speeding and no siren.

S: I’m awaiting the call from HPD

R: 😂😇

R: See you tonight

S: Kick ass!

 

——xx——xx——

 

Steve knocked at Jerry’s door. His colleague still bend over the table going through case files. “We closed the case, you know that right?”

“Yeah, Chin texted me.” Jerry answered, still distracted by the file.

Steve crossed his arms “Yet you’re still going through the old files.”

“Yeah its not everyday you get unreducted government files from the Forties.”

Steve smiled “Ah so this is like Christmas morning for you” he teased.

Jerry looked up at him, deadly serious “No this is better.”

“Yeah, Ahem Jerry you’re not gonna find anything about Roswell in there.”

“Of course not, don’t be ridiculous, these are Navy files. Everyone knows the Air Force covered up Roswell.”

“Right, well..” Steve had no idea how to respond to that, as so often with Jerry, “I just wanted to say. Good Job and ahem...good job.”

“Hey did you know that the Naval Investigative Services” Jerry stopped Steve in the door way. “Kept Musaka under surveillance even after the war was over.”

“No, I didnt know that.” Steve was intrigued.

“Check this out. Obviously, they only knew him as Youshi Tamuro, but they considered him a person of interest.” He handed Steve the file. “Kept tabs on him for years. But the guy was a model citizen put down roots, even married a local girl. Olina Hoku. They actually met before Pearl Harbor, but they stayed in touch the entire time even when he was in the internment camp.”

Steve studied the photo of Mosaka and Olina, they looked very much in love. “Wait a minute. She’s the reason he changed his mind.” Steve smiled. “Look Musaka came here for one purpose and that was to do us harm, right. Then he fell for this girl and he let his love for the girl outweigh his love for his country.”

“It’s funny isn’t it...” Steve trailed off.

“What?”

“This could have been me and Romy in the forties.” Steve shook his head. “She German, me American...it makes you wonder what would have happened to us.” Steve let his own words sink into his mind. What would they have done....

“Love is a pretty powerful thing.” Jerry broke the silence.

“That it is.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

“Hello!” Romy called into the house, as she finally came home from work that evening.

“Hey gorgeous.” Steve wiped his hands on a dish towel, then sliding his hands into her hair for a kiss. Romy sacked into him, letting him carry her weight for a second, letting her lips melt with his.

“Long day?”

“You have no idea.”

“Did you kick ass?”

“I wanted to kick someone’s ass. Does that count?” Romy let her handbag and laptop bag fall to the floor with a thud, glad to be rid of the weight, rid of the day. The urge to reach under her blouse to remove her bra was huge. She wiggled her shoulders a little, trying to get the straps back into place.

“Hold on.” Steve murmured, his hands sliding up her back, undoing the clasp of the offending piece of garment. A sigh of relief escaped Romy, the pressure lessened and she managed to get out of her bra with her blouse still in place.

“Better?”

“Much.” Her thumb caressed his cheekbone “thanks. I’m gonna get changed quickly.”

The rest of the family sat outsideo the lanai, when she came back down, dressed in black leggings and Steve’s button down of the day tied at her waist. “I haven’t missed dinner, have I?” Romy looked at Steve, who was busy staring at her breasts moving underneath his shirt free from any restrains not hearing her question at all.

“No!” Deb piped up, when Steve didn’t answer. “We waited for you.”

“Thanks!” Romy smiled. “I’m starving.”

She made a beeline to Nahele, his school books still out on the table, standing behind him she squeezed his shoulders, checking out the work he was doing at the same time. “Lots to do?”

“Can you help me later with my history assignment?” He leaned his head against Romy’s tummy looking up at her. “Of course, when is it due?”

“Day after next... its about Europe and...”

“After dinner then?”

Dinner was a boisterous affair, with Joanie doing most of the entertaining. Steve and Nahele served a delicious seafood risotto, that had everyone swooning.

Afterwards, Nahele pulled his history book out again asking Romy questions about 19th century Europe, while Mary and Steve cleaned up. Deb was sitting in her chair watching her family, they all had found their place, she thought. How different was it to her first announcement that fateful thanksgiving? If she needed to pinpoint, it was exactly that day she realised that Steve & Catherine wouldn’t last. It had filled her with so much sorrow, seeing her boy trying to wrap his head around the situation, while supporting his sister and not getting support himself. She shook herself back into the present, history lesson must be over, because Nahele’s school bag had disappeared and been replaced with a card game. Joanie dozed on Steve’s lap for while now, but neither of the adults wanted to disturb her, also the game had just gone into the final round. In the end Mary managed to snap the win right under Deb’s nose, while Steve complained that he only lost cause they didn’t play after the rules, waving the instructions around.

“Schnuffi, do me a favour,” Steve looked over to Romy “shut up.” She said fondly. Steve gaped at her, and that had Mary and Deb guffawing.

It was already close to 10pm when Deb approached Romy. “Do you have a Moment for me?”

Romy looked up at her then over to Steve, who shrugged in response. “Sure?”

“Would you mind a walk?” Deb played with her rings, an energy about her that didn’t fit with the time of day.

“Not at all.” Romy got up and slid into her Flip flops. “Streets or beach?” She asked.

A wistful smile on Deb’s face. “Beach please.”

Romy hooked her finger underneath Steve’s chin kissing him “I’ll see you later.”

“Got your phone?” He whispered against her lips.

“Yep.”

“Have fun.” He pressed his lips against hers once more, patting her hip sending her off.

Romy linked arms with Deb, setting off on the private beach stretching along their neighbourhood. They walked in silence for a few minutes, Romy had slipped off her flip flops, let them dangle from her fingers. The sand squishing between her toes every step.

“It’s a beautiful isn’t it?”

Romy eyed Deb suspiciously, has she really asked her for alone time to chat about how beautiful the island is? She voiced her doubts and had Deb laughing. “You got me. I...I just wanted to say that I appreciate everything that you’ve done...for me...”

“Deb, please cut it out. What it is?”

“I went to the bank today.”

“Ok?”

“I wanted Joanie and Mary to be taken care off. And also Steve and you”

“Deb!” Romy exclaimed, Deb better hadn’t transferred them any money.

“I just want my family to be taken care off.” She defended herself.

“I understand that, but we don’t need” Romy scolded.

“Not with money.” Deb interrupted her. “I know Steve and you don’t need any money. But you guys just barged ahead with everything, moving in, taking in Nahele...”

Romy chuckled “It was quick wasn’t it?”

“For some...on the other hand, I’d say you two took forever.” Deb teased her “Steve’s happy and that makes me happy. All my babies taken care off.” Her voice going quiet at the end.

Romy stopped short “Deb!” Her tone serious “What are you trying to tell me?”

“Wow! You’ve got the Mom Voice down, sweet girl.”

“Don’t try to change the topic.”

“You need to promise me not to tell Steve.” Deb sighed.

Romy let out a breath, she knew it, something was up. “If whatever you’re going tell me is affecting him...then I can’t.”

A sad smile graced Deb’s face “No secrets, hu?”

“Yes, no secrets.”

Deb looked out to the ocean, collecting her thoughts. “I can respect that. Just do me a favour.”

“Of course.”

“Don’t stop being his strength and do marry him.”

“Definitely yes to the first one and the second one“ Romy shrugged “lets see, ok.”

Deb groaned “You and Steve are horrible to an old woman.”

“Marriage is not the making of a relationship.”

“Fine...” Deb said petulantly “I guess I just need to be happy seeing you as parents.”

“I’m sorry” Romy smirked at Deb’s attitude “Come on, let’s go back before your nephew sends out a search party.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

“That is beautiful, Joanie!” Steve complimented his nieces artwork “Do some spirals do another one.” He turned to Mary, who was standing at the stove. “Hey you should flip that.”

“I know my pancakes. And I flip it when I’m ready.”

“It’s bubbling. It’s just when its bubbling its ready, its meant to be flipped.”

“Wow...micromanaging much?”

“Hey you know...”

“Morning.” Romy and Naheles appearance the kitchen interupted the sibling squabble. “These look amazing, Joanie.” Romy pointed at the artwork.

“Don’t get all Danny Williams on me, I’m just trying to be helpful.” Steve directed at Mary, making a step towards to take the spatula out of her hand.

“Nahele why don’t you set the table.” Romy steered the teenager back out of the kitchen and out of the firing line.

“Well, if you’re trying to be helpful why don’t you go and wake up Aunt Deb and tell her breakfast is ready?” Mary shooed her brother away.

“You mean burnt right?”

“It’s not gonna be burnt. You gonna love it.”

Steve started to whisper with Joanie on his way out of the kitchen, about not letting Mary burn breakfast and pressed a kiss to Romy’s hairline. They could hear im jogging up the stairs.

“I don’t know how you can live with him and his micromanaging.” Mary groused.

“Ah you know sometimes his micromanagement can come in handy.” Romy said with a lear.

“Ugh! No!”

Romy laughed at Mary’s reaction, handing her a coffee in apology. “I learnt to fight for the things that are important to me and the others I let go. Otherwise we’d be fighting constantly. Compromise.”

“What for a boring grown up relationship.” Mary teased.

“Totally. We are the most boring people ever. Just ask Nahele.”

Mary plated the pancakes “Steve’s been taking a freaking long time to get Aunt Deb.”

“I’ll check on them.” Romy said with a bad feeling.

“Steve, Deb?” Romy knocked on the upstairs guest room. Steve crouched next to the bed, Aunt Deb’s hand in his the other holding a piece of paper.

“Steve?”

He turned slowly to her, his face anguished “Deb...she’s...she’s...”

 

——xx——xx——

 

Two days later, they hiked Mount Ka’ala, fulfilling Aunt Deb’s final wish from her list. Mary with the urn in her backpack, Steve shouldering Joan in a carrier. Romy and Nahele right behind them. The hike was somber, knowing that they will need to say a final goodbye once they reached the top. Standing at the edge, the pacific as blue as the sky spread out in front of them, ready to welcome Aunt Deb. Mary trembled as she opened her backpack, lifting out the urn, tear tracks visible on her face. He felt Nahele shifting closer, slightly pushing Romy forward, so he could stand next to Steve. Steve extended his right arm, letting Nahele rest his head on his shoulder. Mary buried in his other side trying to get as much solace from her big brother as possible. Letting no one come close to them, just like he did now. His family huddled together around him, relying on him. He could not break down, he could not let them see. He drew a shattered breath, when Mary opened the urn. Romy tilted her head back slightly, she regarded him carefully. The stoic expression a constant on his face, since she found him kneeling next to Deb. The thread he was hanging on becoming weaker with every minute they stood here. Romy shuffled closer, unable to hug him, with Mary, Nahele and Joanie attached to him, she pressed her back to his front. His chest rose and fell against her and after a moment he allowed himself to be weak. His forehead coming to rest against her head, shielding his grief away from Mary and Nahele, finding solace in her scent.

Letting Deb’s ashes fly over the mountain and ocean, the wind carrying it further and further away. Hopefully reuniting with Leonard, somewhere.

Sitting in the hanging chair on the lanai, he was exhausted. The funeral, supporting Mary, holding onto his own grief, fulfilling Deb’s last wish, it felt like someone had pulled his plug and he collapsed into himself. He played with little trinket bag, Deb had left for him. He let it slide into his jeans pocket, when he noticed Romy walking over. She handed him a beer and then curled up with him in the chair. Her hand resting on his stomach, legs slung over Steve’s lap. The condensation of the bottle leaving a wet mark on Romy’s dress, he traced it with his fingers. The soft wind swaying them forth and back, soothing frail nerves and red eyes. He held Romy a bit tighter, moving her legs up on his lap, he would not have managed to juggle everything without her quiet strength and her ability to catch the balls that he was about to drop. His thoughts circling back again and again to Aunt Deb ‘Thank you for being the first one who believed in us. Even before we believed in us ourselves.’

Chapter 24: Glow me up

Summary:

Valentine’s Day has come around once more bringing a black eye, a fight, and Nahele’s first official date

Notes:

Hello lovelies, 
Are you ready for another slice of Steve & Romy? I’m so sorry for the delay and for not posting last week. I’m back in London after a month with my parents and needed to quarantine for 2 weeks. Who would have thought that not going for my daily walks would kill my creativity?
Cannot wait to hear your thoughts on this chapter. You guys are the absolute best.
Enjoy xx 

Warnings: fluff - so much fluff
Episode: Season 6 Episode 14

Chapter Text


——xx——xx—— 

Steve was surprised to see Romy kneeling in the front yard. She bent over a flower bed, next to her disregarded weeds and some cut off Pink Protea stems. She wasn’t usually one for gardening, preferring to watch him do it instead. Something must have happened if it drove her to weed some flowerbeds. He hadn’t made it two steps towards her, when she rushed over to him, a panicked look on her face. “You need to talk to Nahele.” Romy bunched the front of his shirt tightly in her fist, lifting herself onto her toes in the process
“Hello to you too, gorgeous. I had a good day and you?” Steve smirked, kissing her quickly. “Ok?” He peeled her fist off his shirt. “What about?” 
Romy looked around quickly like she was checking no one was listening in. “I think...” her tone hushed, “I think he plans to ask a girl out for Valentine’s Day.”
Steve chuckled again “Really?” 
“Yes!” Romy’s eyes went comically wide, her reaction amused Steve way too much, but it wasn’t very often he had more information than her. He was going to enjoy this! “What gave you that idea?” 
“He...” again she turned around, making sure Nahele was not within earshot “he was acting all cagey when I picked him up from school today. Like I saw him with this girl but when I asked him, he clammed all up. And I swear I saw a text message between him and Joel...”
Steve dropped his chin to his chest to catch her eyes and smiled teasingly. “Did you spy on him, Romy?” 
“What! I would...never!” Romy blustered, she had a thing about privacy for teenagers. “It was an accident.” Her hand flew to her forehead. “I’m a horrible person. I’m like Danny, spying on my teenager.” 
Steve’s hand moved to the small of her back, guiding her through the side gate into their backyard. “Would you please stop it?” He sat her down on their hanging chair on the lanai. 
Romy sighed dramatically, pulling her gardening gloves off “I don’t know if I can!” She declared turning towards him, her right knee bend underneath her. 
“So is it Madison?” Steve wiped some dirt off Romy’s collarbone. 
“How...How do you know?” Romy frowned. “Steve, please don’t tell me you’ve installed a spy thingy in his phone.” 
Steve leveled his girlfriend with a look, who did she think he was? “What do you think we do on our runs, be silent?” He asked instead. 
“Ahem yeah... you both aren’t two for small talk.” Romy picked on her gloves. 
“Talking with Nahele ain’t small talk.”
Romy swallowed her sarcastic reply and stared at Steve for a second. 
“What?” Steve grew conscious under her eyes. 
“Thank you for being such a great parent.” Her voice full adoration.
Steve squeezed her hand, returning her gaze “Right back at ya.” A moment or two passed, smiling at each other, love in both of their eyes. 
“I can’t believe he didn’t tell me.” Romy hit his arm in mock outrage. 
“Some things you can’t share with Mom quite yet.” Steve pulled her to him, kissing her softly. 
“So what are we going to do?” Romy got off from the swing. 
“We let him go.” Steve shrugged, before adding quickly. “With rules of course.” 
“Nice safe.” Romy scoffed. “What rules have you got in mind?” 
“Someone drives them and picks them up.” 
“Definitely, and home by 11 pm or whatever earlier time Madison’s parents are setting.” Romy opened the lanai door, leaving her Flip flops on the doorstep.
“Sounds good. Now he just needs to ask her out.” 
“Aw, that little detail.” Romy waved him off “If the girl knows what’s good for her, she better say yes.” 
“Or what? You gonna go all Momma Bear on her?” Steve teased her again, tossing his shield and gun on the sideboard in the dining room. 
“Safe or Bedside table.” Romy’s voice rang out from the kitchen.  
“How?” Steve leaned against the door jamb, watching her snipping off the ends of the flowers she collected, before depositing them in the vase. 
“Cause I know you, you wally.” She rolled her eyes at him with a grin, then concentrated back on her task. 
Steve holstered his gun and stepped behind her, his hands on her arms while his chin rested on her left shoulder. “You do know there are more weapons stashed around this house, don’t you?” 
“How could I forget the gun in the bread box?” Romy countered. Steve laughed, letting his breath tickle her skin. Romy swatted at him, making him loosen his arms a little bit. She turned around, her lips barely concealing a smile. “It did scare me for a moment. You stay over at a guy's place for the first time and the first thing to greet you is a bloody gun.” 
“Not my fault, you didn’t wait for me to make you breakfast.” His fingers were drawn to the patch of skin that was revealed every time Romy moved and the t-shirt slipped further down her shoulder. 
“You had a freaking gunshot wound! You couldn’t even carry two bottles of beer, how the hell were you going to make breakfast?” Romy pinched him in the chest. “Can you believe that this was a year and a half ago?” She asked quietly. How can it be that their time had flown by so quickly, but at the same time it felt like they knew each other forever? 
“Steve? Romy?” Nahele’s voice broke the moment of reminiscing. The two of them turned to him, he was toying with his fingers and a blush had started to make its way up to his neck. “I need to ask you something.” He began but seemed to lose his courage straight away again. 
“Sure, kiddo. What’s up?” 
“So...well about...Valentine’s Day.” He cleared his throat. “There is this girl.”

——xx——xx——

There were several reasons why she didn’t like Valentine’s Day, and today was one of them. Romy rubbed her face harshly while contemplating her outfit choices for tonight’s dinner. After disregarding 4 dresses she bit the bullet and dialed Renee, hoping she wasn’t interrupting any of the Grover’s Valentine’s plans. 
“Hey girl!” Renee greeted semi enthusiastically as the video call established connection. 
“You sound to be in the same mood as me.” 
“Well, my husband forgot Valentine’s Day and tried to make up for it with flowers and chocolate from the convenience store down the block, dressed in a 1970’s suit that I’ve been trying to give to the Salvation Army for the last 20 years and his golf shoes.” 
Romy chuckled “I hope he’s in the dog house.” 
“Yep, 24 hours and no parole. I kicked him out.”
Romy’s eyebrows shot into her hairline. 
“Oh no, don’t look at me like that!” Renee wagged her finger at Romy. “He forgot my birthday and our anniversary the last year. I thought he’d make up for it on Valentine’s Day. I’m all dressed up!” She pointed the camera at her and Romy let out a whistle, Renee did look hot in a wine red dress with a plunging neckline. “I doubt that you called to hear about my Valentine’s woes. So what’s the matter, hun?”
“Steve and I had a fight this morning. A massive one.” Romy scrunched up her face, as their argument played back out in her head. 
“And you guys canceled your evening plans?” 
“I wish!” Romy pouted. “He’s insisted that we still go for dinner. And anyway we need to drop Nahele and his date off at the movies.” 
“You want to tell me what the fight was about?” Renee fumbled with her phone for a second, then she sat back on her sofa, now both hands free for her wine glass. 
“Catherine.” Romy sat down with a thump on the floor. 
“Wow. Now that is a name I haven’t heard in a while.”
“That’s what I thought, too.” Romy smiled scathingly. “But apparently she’s been calling Steve on and off for weeks.” 
Renee wanted to smack Steve, what for an idiot! “And I gather he didn’t tell you about it?” 
“Correct.” Romy snapped her finger. “I only found out by pure accident. This morning his phone was ringing and he asked me to pick it up. So I did.” 
“Did you talk to her?” 
At that Romy let out a strangled laugh “Oh no. We don’t talk to me. She hung up straight away. And you know what Steve’s reaction was?” 
Renee shook her head, dreading the answer already. 
“Oh yeah, Catherine always does that when she calls.” Romy imitated Steve’s deep voice on point. “That’s just her way of checking in.” 
‘Oh, Steve. Poor, deluded Steve.’ Renee shook her head. 
“This has been going on for weeks, Renee, since before Christmas actually. How did I not notice this?” Romy’s head fell into her hand, dejection written all over her face. 
“Can I ask you a question?” Renee sounded hesitant, making Romy sit up again. 
“Sure.” 
“Are you mad cause she’s calling him or for a different reason?” 
“He broke a promise to me.” 
“That sucks.” Renee leveled a look at her friend. “What are you going to do now?” 
“Now, I’m gonna get off this floor, dressed, and go on a date with my boyfriend. And if only for the reason that Nahele gave us that dinner for Christmas.” Romy harrumphed as she got out of the crisscross seat slowly. 
“Atta girl! If nothing else, do it for the kids.” Renee cheered her on, making Romy laugh in the process. 
“Care to help me figuring out an outfit that says, you’re a prat but you’re my prat?” 
“I’ve got no idea what a ‘prat’ is, but Revenge dressing my favorite pastime.” Renee grinned, pointing to her outfit as proof.
——xx——xx——
“Hey kiddo, you ready to go?” Romy knocked onto Nahele’s door, before opening it slightly. 
“Yes, I think?” 
“You think?” Romy cocked her head to the side, looking him up and down. “You look really handsome tonight.” She shoved her hands into the pockets of her jumpsuit, to stop herself from straightening out his artfully arranged hair. 
“Thank you.” Nahele rubbed his hands on his jeans again. 
“Don’t be nervous.” Romy tried to sound encouraging, but hell a first date was always nerve-wracking, it didn’t matter the age.
“Easier said than done.” The teenager walked past her, leaving behind a cloud of deodorant and perfume. Romy inhaled sharply, teenage boys smell when they were going out had not changed in the last twenty years. She used to be the teasing little sister, she bit down on her lip, swallowing the words that were ready to pop out. Now she needed to be the supportive parental figure. Life was not fair sometimes. 
Slinging her arm around his shoulder she steered Nahele down the stairs. “You looking forward to tonight, kiddo?” 
Nahele shrugged, but his thumbnail spoke volumes, slightly red from all the picking he did. 
“I’m sure Steve dispensed with all the important advise already, such as read her clues, don’t do anything that makes either of you uncomfortable.” 
He nodded jerkily and Romy pulled him into a quick hug. “Please don’t forget to have a bit of fun tonight.” She framed his face in between her hands. “Ok?” 
“I promise.” 
Romy squeezed his cheeks, making Nahele trying to recoil out of her grip. “You got enough money?” 
Nahele just opened his mouth when Steve interjected “You got already some from me.” 
“Worth a shot.” The teenager smirked. 
“You look...wow...” Steve stared at Romy, she looked absolutely sinful in her black jumpsuit, the cut V in the front giving a tantalizing glimpse of her cleavage. 
“Thanks.” Romy smiled at him. “You look pretty handsome yourself.” She reached out smooth the lapels of his shirt down, then held onto his shoulders while she slipped into her cherry red sandal heels. Steve’s arm snaked around her back, while his lips found hers for a deep kiss. 
“Excuse me! I don’t want to be late to pick up my date?” Nahele jested from behind them. 
“Watch and learn, ‘Hele.” Steve grasped Romy’s hand in his. “You should always greet your date properly and tell her how good she looks.” He turned to Romy. “You’re stunning.” Romy grinned and wiped a bit of her red lipstick from the corner of his mouth. “Now you hand over a gift, should you have one.” He handed Romy an envelope. 
“Thanks.” She put it in her purse to open later.
“And then you help her into her jacket, offer her your arm and lead her to your preferred mode of transportation.” Steve finished with a flourish. Romy suppressed a little giggle at his over the top demonstration and shrugged into her jeans jacket, Steve was holding for her. 
“So ‘the sticking down my tongue down her throat on the front steps’ part, I should just skip then?” Nahele grinned at his wise-ass remark. Steve closed his eyes in defeat and threw his keys at him. “Go heat up the car.” 
“He’s going to mess this up, isn’t he?” He turned to Romy with a rueful grin. 
“Have faith.” She pulled him out of the house with a wink. 
The ride to Madison’s house was quiet, Nahele was way too nervous and what Romy wanted to talk about was not a topic to be discussed in front of him. They let the radio fill the silence instead. Steve and Romy both got out of the car, as Nahele bounded off to pick up his date. Leaning against the car next to each other, they watched as he rung the doorbell, handed over his flowers, and then offered his arm to Madison. “See, you trained him well,” Romy murmured to Steve while waving back at Madison’s parents. 
“Hi, Madison” Romy greeted the girl warmly. 
“Hi.” 
Romy breathed a sigh of relief, she was as nervous as Nahele. “Shall we?” She nudged Steve with her elbow and he geared into action. 
“Yes, let’s go.” He held open Romy’s door and nodded at Nahele to do the same for Madison. 
“You look lovely, Madison.” Romy turned around in her seat to make conversation. 
A smile bloomed on the teenager's face “Thank you, so do you, Mrs. McGarrett.” 
Romy chuckled “We’re not married. It’s Ms. Ehrhardt, but please Romy is perfectly fine, when someone calls me Ms. Ehrhardt I always turn around looking for my mother.” 
“Oh...I thought...Nahele always says...I’m sorry.” 
“Sweetie, don’t be sorry. A common mistake.” Romy could see Steve wanting to say something out of the corner of her eye. She fixed him with a glare “Don’t you dare thinking about proposing.” 
Steve snorted “And get a 2 hours long lecture about how marriage is a construct of the dark ages? Who am I? A Beginner?” He took her hand from the central console pressing a kiss to it. 
Nahele leaned over to Madison whispering something in her ear, making her giggle in response. Romy squeezed Steve’s hand directing his attention to the back seat and he snuck a look in the rearview mirror. A proud smile etched on his face. 

——xx——xx——

After dropping the teenagers off at the movie theatre, Steve took the road into downtown Honolulu. He was looking forward to tonight’s dinner, Marimoto was always delicious, and having a private room was only going to make it more special. Nahele did have a knack for picking presents. 
Settling down and after ordering some Appetizers and wine, Steve said, “Would you do me a favour and open the envelope I gave you earlier.” 
Intrigued Romy pulled the envelope out of her bag “Sure.” Carefully she opened the card inside
‘I love you. 
I’m sorry I hurt you and I’m sorry I broke our promise.
I’m an absolute idiot, but I’m your idiot. 
Forever.’
Romy looked over the edge at the card at him, a small smile on her face. 
“I am sorry.” He said. “I wanted to tell you but I kept forgetting about it. I can’t deny that she’s is an important part of my past, but she isn’t of my present or future and...” Steve leaned across the table. 
“You’re forgiven.” Romy met him halfway and they shared a sweet kiss. “Next time, just tell me.” She said as she leaned back. “It’ll stop all the...” she tried to find the right word “the Kopfkino.”  
“The what?” Steve chortled. 
“Kopfkino. Head cinema.” Romy shrugged. “Like when you imagining things, not just little things, but like a whole movie scene plays out in your head.” 
Steve laughed so much his sides hurt and he only stopped when the waiter brought over their first course of food. “German really has a word for everything.” 
——xx——xx—-
“Steve, please” Romy moaned and pushed her bum against Steve’s crotch, while she tried to get the house door to open. His hands pulling at her waist, grinding against her. His lips feasting on the bare skin of her shoulder’s and neck, nipping and licking making her shiver. 
“Please, what?” His voice rough. 
“Finally.” Romy pushed the door open and turned around. She practically jumped into his arms, pulling his lips down to hers for a passionate kiss. They made it into the house barely in one piece and collapsed onto the sofa. Kissing, touching, trying to get closer to each other, trying to get rid of their jackets, finally feeling skin. With a sly grin Romy ground into his lap once more, then she got up, moving out of the reach of Steve’s hands. “What are you...” his question interrupted by the slow music that Romy turned on. Her hips starting to move to the beat sensually, not taking her eyes off him. He liked where this was going, and relaxed further into the sofa, just in time to catch her first heel flying towards him. Romy bit her lip, she couldn’t believe how much she enjoyed putting on a show for him, and gaging from Steve shifting the front of his trousers so was he. Swaying her shoulders seductively, making the cleavage of her jumpsuit slip a bit further, she slid out of her other shoe and
Fuck
“Ow!” Steve’s hand flew to his eye instantaneously. 
“Shit! Steve! Oh, God!” Romy dropped onto her knees in front of him. With a wince, she pulled his hand away from his eye. It was completely red. “I’m gonna get some ice.” 
“Ok.” Steve let out a groan and his head fell against the sofa with a thud. This day really sucked! 
Romy came back with some ice and a towel “I’m so sorry.” She sat down on the other end of the sofa and handed him the towel filled with ice. Steve let out a hiss as the cold fabric made contact with his eye. He turned over to Romy and started laughing, how else could this day end as with a striptease that ended with a black eye. 
“I can’t believe you’re laughing about this.” Romy tried to stop her giggling, biting into the knuckles of her forefinger. 
“You’re laughing too.” Steve retaliated, tucking her into his side. 
“I think we just completed our transition into the parents camp.” Romy sighed kicking her feet up on the coffee table. 
“What? Why?” Steve was scandalized. 
“Our teenager might see better action than we did tonight.” 
“Oh no Romy, please!” Steve begged. “Don’t say that.” 
“We used to fuck on the kitchen counter or outside on the lanai.” Romy shrugged “Haven’t done that in a while.” 
“Well, we do have a teenager.” 
“Proving my point there, Schnuffi.” She kissed the underside of his jaw.
“Are you saying we have turned boring?” Steve tried not to sound offended. Romy did not have time to answer as the lock turned in at the same moment, revealing a very happy looking Nahele. 
“Hey ‘Hele.” They both greeted him. “Did you have a good night?” 
“What? Oh hi,” Nahele looked at them a little out of sorts. “Yes, I had a great night.” He smiled widely with a faraway look on his face. “You ready to tell us how your date went?” Romy asked, her head still resting on Steve’s chest. 
“It went well. We kissed.” He said with a small grin, that had Romy squeaking in excitement. 
“Mo...Romy, please be cool.” He groaned at her. 
“I’m cool...I’m cool...” She tried to reassure him, but the grin on her face told a different story. 
“Don’t embarrass him, Romy.” Steve tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. 
“Thanks, D” Nahele swallowed “Steve.” 
“You asking her out again?” 
“Yeah, would it be ok if we’d hang out here?” 
“As long as it’s long as it’s ok with Madison’s parents.” Romy agreed.
“Thank you! I’m gonna text her straight away.” He squeezed his body between Romy’s and Steve’s for a quick hug. “I think I’m going to bed.” 
They both watched him almost floating up the stairs and shared a look as he disappeared. “Well, at least he had a good evening,” Romy commented drily. “So good he didn’t even notice your injury.” 
Steve stood up, holding his hand out to her. “And we have a second lanai off our bedroom.” He grinned. 
Taking his hand with a big smile, Romy let herself be pulled off from the sofa “I knew I loved you for a reason.”

——xx——xx——

Steve had disappeared early the next day, a murder in a beach rental requiring his attention. Romy felt kinda bad for sending him off with a black eye and overtired, they did make great use of the upstairs lanai last night. Her day puttered along nicely until she got a message from Steve. ‘Stakeout tonight, don’t know when I’ll be home.’
‘Ok, I’ll keep the home fires burning. How many questions did you get about your eye?” 
‘Too many...but Lou turned up in a purple velvet suit from the 70s. Kinda diverts the attention.’ 
‘If you can make his day a bit miserable, Renee would highly appreciate it.’ 
‘Done! You might get a call from Kono about the eye.’ 
‘I won’t tell her, that story is almost more embarrassing for me than it is for you.’ 
‘???’
‘Can’t even do something sexy without messing it up.’ 
‘You’re plenty sexy.’ 
Romy hesitated for a second, a quick look through the glass wall of her office assured her no one was looking. She pulled at her blouse and angled her phone just right, snapping a picture of her dark blue lacy bra and the swell of her breast. She quickly pressed the button to send it to Steve before she lost her courage. 
His response came straight away ‘You are killing me.’ 
‘Your present is in the white bag in the pantry. I completely forgot last night.’ 
‘Gotta go.’ 
‘I love you.’
Romy smiled at his barrage of texts. ‘trying this whole sexy thing again. We said no presents! Stay safe love you too.’ 
Racing into the pantry as soon as she got home, Romy’s smile could lit up a whole block. Hugging the bag to her she snapped another selfie sending it to Steve. ‘I love you almost as much as Haribo’s.’ 
A knock on the door interrupted her rifling through the bag and deciding which she should eat first. 
“Melissa? Hi!” Romy was confused, she had not expected Danny’s girlfriend. 
“Hi! I’m sorry for barging in, but...” she gestured into the house. 
“Of course. Come in, come in.” Romy opened the door wide, letting Melissa come through. 
“Can I get you anything? Tea, coffee” a glance to her watch “wine?”
“Tea, maybe?” Melissa sounded indecisive. 
“Why don’t you sit out on the lanai and I’ll grab some ice tea from the fridge.” 
Romy watched Melissa make her way out to the lanai, then she headed to the kitchen. What did she want? She met Melissa a grand total of three times, and everything single one of their meetings had been slightly awkward. She grabbed the tray with tea and some cookies, took a deep breath, this time would not be an exception. 
Melissa was worrying the table runner between her fingers before she moved onto the candle holder and then back to the table runner “It’s beautiful.” She complimented Romy, who was sitting down on the bench opposite her. 
“Thanks. I made it myself.” 
“You sew?” 
“Yeah, curtains, clothes, blankets, and table runners.” She nodded to Melissa’s fingers with a smile. 
Caught in her actions, the other woman let go of the piece of fabric and took hold of the glass Romy handed to her. 
“What can I do for you?” Romy tried to make her voice kind, but inside she was dying to know, what the hell made Melissa seek her out. She could see that it cost her quite an effort to pull something out of her handbag. “This” she handed a Valentine’s Card over to Romy. 
‘Oh, Danny!’ Romy wanted to say it out loud but managed to hold it in. “I guess yours said something else?” She started to nibble on a cookie. 
Melissa smiled sadly “It said ‘I love you.’”
Pained Romy pointed out, “Danny is my friend, Melissa. I don’t want to be in the middl...”
“I’m not part of the group!” she interrupted her, it literally broke out of her, and then there was no stopping. “I never get invited. You...you have parties here all the time.” 
“Danny knows that you’re more than welcome to co...” 
“But that’s it isn’t it? He doesn’t bring me.” Melissa looked miserable now. “He couldn’t even say it to me. I’m not his priority or a part of his life.” 
“You need to be happy with what he gives you.” Romy shrugged.
“What?” 
“I’m sorry. I know this sounds harsh, but you and Danny have been having this fight for months now.” 
“How...How do you know?” Then it dawned on Melissa. “Danny told you.” 
Romy shrugged sheepishly at that, she leaned over and grasped the other woman’s hand “You need to figure out if what he gives you is enough, and if it isn’t you need to be prepared to walk away.” 
“I don’t know if I can.” Melissa bit her lip. Romy smiled at her sadly unsure what else to say. 
Melissa jerked up, making the chair scrap along the stones as she stood “I’m sorry - I shouldn’t have come.” With that, she practically flew off the lanai and out of the house. 
Romy looked after her and commented drily as the door fell shut “Well that was weird.”

——xx——xx——

Steve had been home when she came back from work the next day. He hugged her closely “Let’s sit out on the beach.” 
“Sure. You ok?” Romy looked worried. 
“Yeah, I just want to relax with you.” He peppered her shoulder with small kisses. 
“Then, who I am to refuse. I’m gonna grab us a beer.” 
“I’ll see you out there.” 
She handed Steve his beer and sat down on the other Adirondack chair. He made a big show of putting it against his black eye. “Jerk” she kicked his leg playfully. 
“I love you too.” He replied with a silly grin. 
The soft sea breeze ruffled the palm trees and the sun seemed to set Romy’s hair on fire. Steve looked over to her, she was practically glowing in the winter sun. Sometimes he needed to pinch himself that they found each other, that they were able to form this amazing hodgepodge family together. He loved her, and the best thing, he knew that she loved him too, and it didn’t matter all the teasing he got from Danny or Chin, he wore that love proudly, like a stamp on his forehead, like her glow had transferred over to him, making him glow as well. 
“I haven’t even told you the best thing of the last two days. They knew Danny by name in Victoria’s Secret today. He bought Melissa perfume and a corset couple of weeks ago.” 
Romy chuckled at that, of course, Danny would be into that. 
“That was exactly my reaction too.” Then he frowned “Do you want a Victoria's Secret perfume?” 
“Schnuffi, do you know me at all?” 
“Good...good...” Steve nodded. 
“So I need to ask” her chin balancing on her hand. “Did you like anything that they had in there?” 
“Where?” Steve tried to play dumb, he knew there was no right answer for this. “Victoria’s Secret.” 
“Oh...ahem...I...” 
“You’re allowed to say if you did.” Romy winked at him. 
Steve sighed “Some of the styles looked nice.” He moved on his chair so uncomfortably and Romy took pity on him. Sliding off her chair and onto his lap, she played with his hair. “I’m not gonna be mad if you find something sexy. But please do me a favour and never buy me something from there, ok?” 
“I like the things you wear,” Steve mumbled. “Especially the navy blue ones from yesterday.” That earned him a kiss. “But to be honest I didn’t like it in there, everything was just too much.” He pulled a face, he couldn’t imagine Romy in any of the things there, and actually, he didn’t want to either. He preferred the stores she took him to, well his credit card didn’t, but it was definitely worth it. He didn’t think the dressing rooms in Victoria Secret would hold up, with what they did in La Perla a couple of weeks ago. 
Romy let out a sigh of relief “Thank god! I find it garish in there too.” She pressed the cold beer bottle against his black eye again. “Can we please get back to Danny Williams buying corsets?” 
“He’ll never live this down.” Steve shared her grin, glad he had her on his side to make fun of Danny. 
“Oh, definitely not” Romy laid her head on Steve’s shoulder, while his finger’s brushed patterns over her jeans-clad leg. 
“Do you think they’ll sort it out?” She asked after a beat of silence. 
“Melissa and Danny?” 
“Yeah” she sighed and told Steve how Melissa had come over the other day. 
“She really shouldn’t involve you in this!” He growled. What did Melissa think that would achieve? That Romy would force Danny to declare his love or involve her in his life? 
“She sounded so defeated like we were this exclusive club and the bouncer won’t let her in.” 
Steve snorted “Has she met us? We’re not exclusive at all.” 
“I just...maybe I should invite her?” 
“Romy” Steve sighed, his hand finding its way through her hair, pulling her towards him “I don’t want to talk about Danny and Melissa anymore.” His lips claimed hers, moving against each other, tongues dipping in and out only separating when air became absolutely necessary. Their foreheads touching, breath intermingled, his hand still in her hair. “I do need to ask you one more question though.” His voice raspy. 
“Ask away.” Romy’s fingers traced the shell of his ear lovingly. 
“How much intention was behind your shoe hitting my eye.” He wasn’t mad at her, he deserved worse. Romy jerked her hand away from him, her expression shifting between mortification, confusion, and indignation. 
“I know you, gorgeous.” Steve singsonged, oh he was right on the money, he tickled her sides, making her wiggle away from him. 
“Ok, ok” Romy cuddled closer to escape his fingers. “Maybe that much” she held her forefinger and thumb a fraction apart. She looked up at him, her teeth worrying her bottom lip. Apologies were written plainly in her eyes. 
His thumb released her lip from her teeth, pressing a little kiss on it he mumbled “You’re ruthless, god I love you.” Romy giggled against Steve’s lips, her hand cupping his face, pressing her lips firmly against his.

Chapter 25: Ride the highs and mute the lows

Summary:

A vendetta against 5-0 turns much more personal than Romy and Steve ever imagined

Notes:

Warnings: fluff, smut, angst 
Episode: Season 6 Episode 15, 16 and 17

Hello, lovelies, 
Here is another slice of Steve and Romy. Those two are in for a rough ride this time around. Cannot wait to hear your thoughts on this chapter. Your comments and messages always make my day. 
Enjoy xx 

Chapter Text


 Steve paced the dimly lit parking garage, an eye on Neil, who worked his To-Do list step by step, not sparing a second thought to anything else. Steve heaved a sigh, this was going to be a long night. Pulling his phone out, he smiled at the screen saver - Romy kneeling in front of their Christmas Tree, skirt pooling around her, looking over her shoulder with a wide smile on her face. 
“Neil, do you mind? I’ll need to call my girlfriend quickly.” 
“Why?” 
“Why?” He asked back before his brain caught up with him. “Oh, ahem I need to tell her that I won’t be home tonight.” Steve stepped away and dialed the house. 
“Hello.” 
“Hi gorgeous, it's me.” He could hear pots banging in the background, Nahele must be cleaning up after dinner. 
“Hi, you.” 
“I’m not gonna make it home tonight. We’ve got a new case, and the only witness is someone on the spectrum.” He whispered the last part. 
“It's rude to talk about someone behind that person's back.” Neil piped up suddenly next to him, making Steve jump almost a foot in the air. 
“Is that him? Romy giggled “Tell him that he’s right.” 
“Yes, that is Neil. I’m hanging with him at his work.” 
“Ok.” Romy knew what that meant. Neil was in danger. “Stay safe, commander.” 
“Always. Love you.” Steve smiled. Then it suddenly occurred to him “Oh by the way, did you suggest to Hirsch that crime scene cleaning would be a good job for him?” Her typing stopped suddenly, and she asked way too innocently “What me?”
“Yes. His logo has you written all over it.” Steve accused lovingly. Really only the person who cooked up marketing schemes with Kamekona would help Hirsch with his business ideas. 
“It looks good, doesn’t it?” Romy’s voice became excited. 
“So not the point.” Steve shook his head. He turned and saw Neil putting out traffic cones, a look on his watch confirmed 8.58pm. “I gotta go, but this conversation isn’t over.” 
“If you say so” Romy teased, then serious for a second. “Love you.”

——xx——xx—— 

“When did you guys decide to have a shoot out with Gabriel?” Romy dabbed some ointment on Kono’s forehead graze. 
“Why are you looking at me like this?” Steve asked suspiciously. 
“Because 9 times out of 10, you’re the reason a shoot out happens.” Romy grinned over at her boyfriend. 
“Not this time.” Steve clarified while avoiding to sound like a toddler. He wasn’t that successful if Romy’s eye roll was any indication. “He washed money at the bank that was robbed and in retaliation killed the guys who robbed the bank.” Steve leaned against the french doors, for once he was not injured, he really thought he’d get brownie points for it, not the third degree. He knew Romy was worried, especially when they all came home with no heads up looking pretty banged up. The least he could do was tell her what actually happened. Once he got to the part where Gabriel disappeared, she interrupted him. 
“He had a fight with Chin, who threw him out of a window, landed on his back on a car, and then managed to just walk it off? Is he like the evil version of Superman or something?” 
“Something like that,” Chin muttered, currently under the care of Renee. 
Romy continued as if she had not heard him, “And then you thought it was a great idea not call ahead, scaring Nahele’s girlfriend in the progress.” She turned to Steve once more. “You do know he’ll never talk to you again if Madison’s parents won’t allow her to come over anymore.” 
“That’s why we came,” Kono muttered. 
“Care to say that out loud?” she flicked her friends ear. 
Kono hugged Romy, letting her head rest on her friend's stomach. “We came for that…someone to snark us out, bandage our wounds and give us cookies.” Romy squeezed Kono’s shoulders lovingly until it clicked and she shoved her off. “You came here for a Mum!”
“And you make such a good one.” Kono winked at her. 
Steve walked up behind her, pressing a kiss right under Romy’s ear “You know exactly what I came here for.” he whispered in her ear making Romy shiver in the progress. Earning them a disgusted groan from the others, “We’re still here you know.” 
“You know where the door is.” Steve gestured behind him. 
“Definitely not!” Kono exclaimed “We came for cookies. I want cookies! I can smell cookies!” her eyes wandered to the kitchen, where the cookies were already in the oven. The oven timer dinged not 2 minutes later, igniting a happy wiggle and a chant of ‘Cookies, cookies, cookies!’ from Kono, that followed Romy all the way in the kitchen. She was sliding the cookies onto several plates when the front door opened and shut. Danny shouting a greeting “Guys, hey!” Into the house. Romy needed to giggle as she heard Madison ask Nahele in wonder “Is everyone just coming in?” 
“What do you mean?” Nahele turned to her, not really sure where she was going with this. 
“It’s like an open door...” Madison was stopped from answering when Charlie burst out onto the patio, closely followed by Romy.
“You guys fancy some cookies?” She hadn’t put the plate yet and Nahele already grabbed 2 cookies off it. “Sorry Madison, it's a madhouse today. I promise it's not always...” Romy looked up “Charlie Williams, you come back here right now!” She managed to catch the youngest Williams before he dove right in the water. She settled him onto her hip and strode back up to the house. 
“Don’t forget it's your turn to cook dinner tonight, Hele.” Romy directed at him before she closed the patio door behind her and Charlie. 
“This is what I mean.” Madison shook her head. “My Mom would go crazy if so many people just dropped in and not make cookies for everyone.” 
“It’s always been that way.” Nahele shrugged, his fingers playing with Madison’s “This house is always open.” 
“Doesn’t that drive you crazy?” 
“Nah, it's home.” 
Romy knew she shouldn’t listen in, but she could not help herself. She squeezed her eyes shut for a moment, this was home indeed. His response made her deliriously happy. She managed to tune back into the adult conversation just in time to hear Danny recount his troubles with the FBI today “My mother wasn’t the target, she was just the bait. Matty set her up with an account, she never knew about it until after he died. She paid for her airplane ticket with it. They used this to get me into an interrogation room, in the end, they only wanted to talk about us.”
“Us, who?” Chin asked. 
Danny sighed “5 - 0” 
The team shared a look, and Lou summarised for all of them. “Someone is trying to shake us down.” 
“Shit.” 
“Now I really need a cookie.” Kono turned to Romy, holding her hand out for the plate of cookies in Romy’s hand that wasn’t occupied by Charlie at the moment. 
“And a drink.” Romy added, “Steve, roll out the bar cart.” 

——xx——xx—— 

A quietness settled over their lives after that day, it was suspiciously quiet some would say. Steve had reached out to his contacts in several agencies and the Navy trying to figure out who had them in their sight. But so far nothing had come up. The decision was made, that Danny would play ball with the FBI, returning the money Matty had left their mother and hoping that the agents would slip up again. 

——xx——xx——
Romy smiled as she saw Steve’s face popped up on her phone screen. They had not spent much time together these last couple of days. Somehow Sang Min managed to get accused of a murder he did not commit and the whole 5-0 O’hana tried to rally for him. 
“Long time no speak.” She greeted him. 
Steve groaned “Tell me about it.” He missed her. “So, we need a place to lay low for a while.”
“Ok?” Romy was a bit confused “Don’t you have the palace for that?” 
“Yeah, can’t really use that anymore.” 
“Steve, care to elaborate?” Romy was smiling in the receiver and spun on her desk chair to look out over the ocean. 
“I convinced Odell to be his lawyer, but I can’t have them here over the weekend.” 
“And what do you need my help for?” Romy had a feeling where this was leading, but she wanted to hear it from him. It wasn’t often he asked for help. 
“Do you have a room available at the hotel?” 
“You are asking me to house a criminal at my place of work?” 
Steve kept quiet, he needed what he asked wasn’t really fair, but he could hear her typing in the background, pretty sure she was searching for a free room. 
“The only thing that I’ve got is our Kamehameha suite.” 
“I was more thinking of cheap and cheerful.” Steve countered a suite sounded expensive. 
“Then I suggest you try the motel down the road and not the Royal Hawaiian.” A little bite in her tone. 
“No, nobody is going to suspect that’s where he’s hiding out.” 
She tried to push him. “Ok, I’ll put your credit card on the reservation?” Romy needed to bite her lip to not let the chuckle escape. She was sure Steve was about to break out in hives, at the prospect of spending money alone.
“Ehm, now that I think of it don’t you still have a room at the hotel?” 
“You mean the one I never moved into, because you were all, ‘You’re living with me. Your house is my house.’” 
“Yes!” He was relieved, he didn’t want to imagine what the suite would cost him. He needed a plan, dropping his voice slightly he said, “I’ll even throw in dinner tonight. Even if it’s not on my chore chart for this week anymore!” He smirked. Romy was a sucker for a home-cooked meal, especially his. But unfortunately, Steve had no clue how the hotel business worked. “Schnuffi, you do realize that this was 6 months ago? That room has been sold to other guests several times since then.” 
“They don’t keep this on a retainer?” 
“We are a hotel, not a prison. A hotel room is free, it's getting sold.” 
“Oh fuck...maybe I can stash him at home...” Steve thought out loud. 
She took a steadying breath, twirling in her chair once more. As much as Sang Min grows on you, she did not want him in her house for a full weekend, especially not around Nahele. “If you want Song Min around Nahele without supervision and within touching vicinity of my underwear, then be my guest.”
“What! No!” Steve did a double-take, no way he wanted that creepy little shit anywhere near the lace Romy put on a daily basis. A vision came in front of him Romy in her high waisted, bum grazing pure lace panties and then the leering face of Sang Min. 
“Put it on my card.” He said defeated.
“Don’t pout, Schnuffi” Romy teased. “I’m sure I can find a government discount somewhere for you.”
“To kind of you, gorgeous.” This was going to hurt, he just knew it.
“And don’t think you can get out of cooking me dinner.” 
“I wouldn’t dream of it.” A plan formulated in his mind and definitely involved lace panties. 
“You know, maybe we can send Nahele to one of his many friends.”
“Now you’re talking!” 
“I’ll see you tonight then?”
“Nah, ask for me when you come to the hotel and I get the key and stuff sorted for you.” 
They were about to hang up when Steve burst out “Romy!”
“Yeah” he could hear her getting distracted at something in front of her.
“Thanks”
“You’re very welcome!”

——xx——xx—— 

A knock interrupted Romy an hour later, her assistant poked her head in “Ehm, Miss Erhardt...” 
“Romy, my name is Romy.” 
Ani shifted from side to side “Yeah, that’s not gonna happen.” She smirked “Front desk just called up, a guest has arrived and it seems the system had a note in to call you.” Her assistant looked confused. 
Romy stood up and slipped into her heels “Thanks, Ani. I’ll pop down right away. Grabbing her phone from her desk and her master key she moved to the door. 
“You know, Miss Erhardt, you’re supposed to tell me that kind of stuff. The hotel staff should not be calling you to deal with difficult guests.” 
Romy smiled “I requested to be called. It’s ok.” 
Her assistant got indigent “No it’s not. You have other things...” 
“I’m literally going to be 5 minutes.” 
“I’ve gotten to know your 5 minutes.” Ani pushed the button for the lobby. “I’ll be coming with you to make sure it’s only 5 minutes.” 
“Really, you don’t trust me that much.” 
“I don’t trust the staff when they see you on the floor, and I need you to leave you here on time today. You’ve got Nahele’s athletic team thing tonight.” 
“Oh gosh yes! Thanks, I completely forgot.” 
“That’s what you have me for.” Ani grinned smugly. 
——xx——xx—— 
Stepping out of the elevator, the two women saw Steve filling out the paperwork at the desk. Romy managed to step behind the desk without him noticing and motioned for the clerk to help another guest. 
“Shall I swipe your card for incidentals, Mr. McGarrett?”
Steve’s head shot up when hearing her voice. The two exchanged a fond smile “Nah, there won’t be any incidentals.” 
“What McGarrett, no minibar?” The man next to Steve piped up.
 “Shut up, Sang Min” Steve hissed, his hand itching to his gun. Romy took the form back from Steve, pressed a couple of buttons on the keyboard.
 “The Service in this place is going down.” Sang Min muttered under his breath. The machine beeped twice, indicating it had cut two new keys for the suite. 
“Maybe you should try the service of the Motel 6 down the block if that’s more your fancy.” Romy smiled saccharinely. 
“Meow.” Sang Ming made cat hands at her “just saying, sugar.” 
“If you follow me.” Romy stepped out from the reception desk and motioned them to follow her to the elevator on the other side of the lobby. “Kono and Lou are already here, securing” Romy frowned trying to remember what her friend had said, made a throwing away hand gesture “whatever. They’ll be up in the room shortly.” 
“Thanks.” Steve smiled but tried to keep his distance. He was not in a mood that could handle Sang Min calling Romy sugar or spicy. 
“Oh Romy, thank you so much for my new Beer Stein. It has a special place in my apartment.” Odell smiled at her. 
“I’m glad you like it. Sorry, it took so long.” Romy inserted the key to activate the elevator and pressed the executive floor button. 
“Nice, little side beef right there.” Sang Min gave Romy another once over. “A little bit on the Howlie side, but I mean if your available, sugar?” He winked at Romy. 
Steve’s reflex was immediate, hitting his informant over the back of his head and drawing his gun. 
“Sorry mate, I think I’d be too much to handle for you.” Romy’s nose crinkled. 
“Don’t underestimate me, gorgeous.” 
“Would you shut up, dude!” Odell whispered to him. “McGarrett’ is going to shoot you.” 
Steve stepped in between Sang Min and Romy when they got off the elevator, he didn’t know what pissed him off more than he dared to call her gorgeous ‘that was his name’ or that she managed to actually laugh about it. Walking next to her, he let his hand settle on the small of her back. Romy looked at him and quirked up an eyebrow, Steve shrugged his shoulder and pulled her closer. 
“Whoah Ho.” Odell exclaimed as they entered the suite. “This place is money. We can stay here till the trial?” 
“Yep.” Steve ground out.
“Oh that’s correct, counselor. They don’t call it the King Kamehameha suite for nothing. We can live like royalty, baby.” 
Steve and Romy shared an exasperated look, while Odell and Sang Min explored the balcony. “You owe me so big for this.” She whispered to him. 
“I know...I know.” His hand still on her back, slipping his little finger under the seam of Romy’s blouse. “Dinner tonight and a massage. I promise.” 
“You better.” A beep interrupted Romy from saying more, with a sigh she looked at her phone. “I gotta go.” 
“Ok. I’ll see you tonight.” 
“Yes, please don’t forget Nahele’s athletic parents' thing tonight. They start thinking I’m a single parent otherwise.”
“I’ll be there, I promise.” 
“Thanks.” Romy chanced a glance to the other two, who were still fascinated by the view, she leaned over and pressed her lips to Steve’s. Raising her voice again she pinned Sang Min with a finger and stare “If I hear one complaint from any of my staff about you, you’re out. Understood.” 
“She asked if you understood.” Kono’s voice held even more contempt. 
“Oh spicy!” Sang Min greeted her with a swagger. 
“Do not make me shoot you and answer her.” 
“I promise.” 
With a final squeeze to Steve’s hand Romy left the team in the suite. The less she knew what happened in there, the better. 

——xx——xx—— 

Romy bopped her leg nervously, Steve was running late - again, she looked at her watch for the third time in 5 minutes. Romy wiggled her finger at Joel’s mother in greeting, the ‘Where’s Steve?’ Implied in the other woman’s expression. 
Romy shrugged her shoulders sheepishly and rolled her eyes, eliciting a giggle from Joel’s mother in response. After a way to in-depth discussion if teenagers were able to drive themselves to meets, they were finished with the official part of the evening and the parents mingled with the coaches. Coach Peterson had a gaggle of women standing around him, but he made a beeline over to Romy, when he saw her standing alone at the small buffet. “You know Romy, I still hadn’t had the pleasure of meeting your husband.” He grinned at her charmingly. 
“Well” she took a step back perusing the sad pastry collection “that’ll be difficult. I don’t have a husband.” 
“Oh really?” Coach Peterson’s smile got wider “I could’ve bet Nahele mentioned...”
“Me,” an arm snaked around Romy’s waist, extending his hand to the other man. “Commander Steve McGarrett. Nice to meet you...” Steve shifted, drawing attention to his gun and shield still clipped to his hip.
“Coach Peterson.” The coach reciprocated the handshake with a slight wince.
“So, how is our boy doing this season?” Steve plucked the half eaten danish out of Romy’s hand, taking a bite, his eyes never leaving the Coach.
“Ahem...he is...” it took the other man a second to gather himself. “He is doing very well. His endurance has gone up the last couple of weeks, now he just needs to work on his personal best and I’m confident he could have a shot at regionals this year.”
Steve nodded along with the coach's assessment “great, great. Our runs seem to be helping then.”
“Oh you run with him?”
“Every morning.” Steve grinned at the gobsmacked face of his opponent “It’s perfect bonding time.” 
Coach Peterson looked almost relieved when another parent beckoned him over. “Well, it was lovely to meet you. Romy always a pleasure.” He practically sprinted away. 
“You are late.” Romy was not impressed at all.
“I’m sorry. Getting everyone settled took longer than expected.” He leaned down to kiss her. 
“Was intimidating Nahele’s teacher really necessary?”
“He flirted with you!”
Romy scoffed “Oh please.” 
“How did you not notice? He was all over you when I came in.” Their hands intertwined asthey walked out of the classroom to their cars.
“That was not flirting.” Romy looked at him, with her heels she was almost eye to eye with Steve. “That was him doing his job.” 
“Romy.” His voice exasperated “he was asking if you have a husband.” 
“A perfectly valid question at a Parents evening that I’ve been attending alone again.” She leaned against her car door and shook her head at Steve’s antics. Coach Peterson was not flirting with her. 
“I’m sorry.” He really was. He didn’t intend to run late but once everything got rolling it was very hard to remove himself from the investigation, especially after they handed the prosecution a star witness. 
“I know.” Romy grabbed the lapels of his shirt, pulling Steve close. “You still owe me dinner.” She mumbled against his lips. 
“Yeah and a massage.” He closed the Millimeter distance and pulled her body flush against his, their mouths fusing together. 
“I’ll see you at home.” she breathed once he let go of her lips, kissing him once more before getting into their respective cars. 
——xx——xx—— 
“This was absolutely delicious.” Romy pushed the plate away from her a little. She had all but inhaled the Pink Snapper Steve had served her. 
“I’m glad.” His fingers gliding along hers across the table. “But now I think, I’ve got uphold another part of this evening.” He held eye contact while getting up, his fingers trailing up her arm. “Why don’t you go upstairs and ready on the bed.” His lips right next to Romy’s ear. “Naked.” 
“I ca..I can do that.” How did he manage to turn her on with just his voice?
Her legs were a bit wobbly as she made it up the stairs. She could hear Steve cleaning up in the kitchen, as she lightened some candles. 
A groan made Romy turn her head slightly from her position on the bed. Steve stood in the door, a bottle of massage oil in his hand. His other moved to adjust his trousers. “You are a goddess.” The lights and shadows from the candles hitting Romy’s curves, making her skin glow. She hid her face back into the pillows, shaking her face softly. 
“Don’t disagree with me.” Steve’s words reverent and his finger ghosted a line down her back to her bum, making her skin erupt in goosebumps. A moan escaped Romy. Steve quickly undressed to his boxers, straddling her bum. He warmed the oil in his hands “This might be a bit cold.” His big hands spread along her shoulders, drawing big circles down her back, warming up her muscles before digging into her shoulders, right where Romy carried most of her tension. She groaned into the pillow in relief. Romy lost herself in Steve’s touch, how he knew when to be gentle and where to dig in deep. His hands moving down her sides, to her legs, kneading her bum and back up her sides and her arms, even her fingers were left behind. She felt herself go slack, sinking into the mattress even further. Romy couldn’t tell where she ended and Steve’s hands began. The bliss of pure relaxation. 
She felt him pulling her panties down, he pressed a kiss on each of her cheeks, and her relaxation turned into want. 
Steve nudged her legs further apart and then he covered her back entirely with his body. Pressing Romy further against their bed, restricting her movements at the same time. “This ok?” His voice was deep with want. 
“Please don’t stop, Steve.” Romy almost whined. “I need you, please. Take me.” She wasn’t lying, she was going to combust if he didn’t fill her up soon. The way his body covered every inch of hers, made her shiver. She’d never felt him this close, it was breathtaking. Every nerve in her body quivered. 
He peppered her neck with kisses, “I need you too.” Steve tilted her hips just right and slid home. “God, I love you. Romy.” 
A moan escaped both of them, he rocked softly into her. Her face turned to the side feeling the heaviness of his body pressing her into the mattress. Grounding her. Her hips matched his steady rhythm, making her clit rub against the sheets with just the right pressure. Her hands reaching behind her, pulling him closer, fingernails leaving crescent shaped indents in his arse. A choked sob and she trembled with her release, squeezing his cock. Steve groaned into her neck, biting into the fleshy part of her shoulder trying to hold back, snapping his hips once, twice before succumbing to his orgasm. Melting against her.
“Don’t move!” Romy held onto him, loving the feeling of his weight against her.
“I’m crushing you.” He whispers into her skin. 
“No, feels good” her head rubbed against the pillows. 
He murmured “Ok, two minutes.”, closing his eyes already. Two minutes became a twenty minute nap. Only the closing front door startling them awake. 
“Must be Nahele.” Romy pushed her tangled mess of hair out of her face. 
“You go pee and I’ll check in with the kid.” Steve rolled off her and the bed, grabbing some sweats to shrug in to. Romy stretched and clambered off the bed as well “Steve?” 
“Yeah?” He turned around, hand already on the doorknob. Romy hopped over to him, throwing her arms around his neck and her fingers finding purchase in his hair. She pulled him down for a smacking kiss, with a silly grin she declared “I love you.” 
Steve held her naked body to him, sporting a very similar grin. “Good. Cause I love you too.” Pressing a soft kiss to her nose. “Now go pee.” He let her go but not before swatting her bum. 

——xx——xx—— 

The team sat around a table at Kamekona’s watching Odell giving Sang Ming a well needed haircut. There was a lot of jeering and laughing. She hated to interrupt that. “Romy!” Lou shouted and waved her over. Steve turned towards her, a smile blooming on his face. 
“Hi all.” Romy waved, then she leaned down to Steve. “Can I talk to you for a second?” 
“Of course, what’s up?” He tried to pull her onto his lap.  
“In private.” She tugged at his hand. With a frown, Steve got up and stepped away with her. 
“Gorgeous what is it?” Steve was getting worried now. He did not like Romy’s facial expression at all. 
“I got a visitor today.” Her voice was shaky. 
“Ok? You get visitors...”
“Someone from Immigration services came.” 
“Your caseworker Mr Mikoa?”
“No, a...” Romy rubbed her forehead. “Shit, I forgot their names. They gave me a card.” She squeezed her eyes shut, this was one of the scariest visits that she has ever gotten. 
“Romy” Steve grabbed her shoulders. “Come on, breath. What happened?”
“They told me that something was wrong with my visa and that they put my green card application on hold…and that they’ll...and” it bursts out of her, along with the tears “They’re investigating if I got my visa legally and if....They told me they’ll send me back to Europe.” 
He didn’t know what to say, what to do. He watched how she cried, her body shaking, how scared she was. And something died a little inside of him, making space for something else, something feral. He’d hurt any single one of these people who made her hurt like this. Steve drew her into his arms, holding her close. He could feel her shaking against him. 
“We will sort this, Romy. I promise. You are not going anywhere.” His chin came to rest on the top of her head and Steve caught the worried glances off the other. His jaw set in stone, this was not a coincidence. He was going to find out who was behind this.
——xx——xx—— 

His effort in figuring out who was trying to shake down the team doubled over the following days. His dreams were haunted by Romy’s scared face and the sound she made when she got the official letter, denying her the green card. It took all his strength not to burst into the Governor's office and demand an explanation. He knew they couldn’t show their hand, couldn’t tip off whoever was behind this as long as they didn’t know who was involved and what they wanted. 
Finally, his Navy connections came through, providing him with a name and pictures. The team had assembled in their living, pouring over the photos that Steve had laid on the coffee table. 
“So this is the guy who’s after us?” Lou flipped through a small stack of pictures, before handing them over to Abby. 
“Yeah.” Steve sighed.
“Who is he?” 
“He is Federal Prosecutor Robert Coughlin.” Silence greeted his announcement. 
“Coughlin?” Chin bend forward. 
“Coughlin.” Steve confirmed. “Yeah, he’s Rex's brother, recently transferred to Oahu from Boston.” 
Abby shifted on the couch “How do we know him?”
“Rex Coughlin was an I.A. Detective who investigated me a few years back.” Chin explained. “And more recently he accused me of protecting Gabriel Waincroft.” 
Romy perched on the armrest of the easy chair Steve occupied, her mind wandered while Chin recounted his run ins with Coughlin in the past. It was exactly a year ago that he had Chin arrested and Danny had been sent to a Colombian prison, was that a coincidence? Coughlin and Waincroft, two bad pennies that they just couldn’t lose. 
Lou took over from Chin, “He was so desperate to bring Chin down, he made a deal with the devil.”
“Gabriel Waincroft.” Kono supplied at Abby’s questioning face. 
“Well, while they were still hammering out the deal, Rex made the mistake to have Gabriel temporarily transferred out of Halawa. Gabriel killed Rex Coughlin and fled.” Steve continued. 
“So what do we do about this guy.” Danny broke the silence between them. 
“First of all we need to figure out if this is an official investigation or a personal vendetta.” Steve squeezed Romy’s hand. “If it is an official investigation, Robert is going to have people working for him, right?” 
“That’s a lot of ifs.” Abby noted. 
“Yes, but he threatened not only us. He threatened our families. Danny’s Mom and...” he looked over at Romy. 
She took a deep breath “I had a visit from the immigration service last week and a letter yesterday. They denied my application for a green card.” 
“What?”
“We wanted to figure out if it all belongs together. Or if it's just a coincidence.” 
“He really wants to take us down.” Lou shook his head. 
“We are fair game.” Steve’s voice betrayed the fury he tried to keep buried. “But not our families. That’s too far!” 
His phone interrupted him, “McGarrett. All right. We’re on our way.” 
That was the cue and everyone jumped up from their seats. Kono hugged her friend closely “Why didn’t you say anything?” 
“Honestly, I kinda hoped this was a bad dream.” Romy exhaled loudly. Kono squeezed Romy’s arm in support before she headed out to her car. 
“I’ll call you if it's an overnight case, ok?” 
Romy nodded, and popped onto her toes, kissing Steve quickly. “Be safe, Commander.” 
“Love you too.” Steve pressed her knuckles to his lips and then disappeared after his team. 
Romy closed the door behind and counted to 10 in her head, this should give him enough time. Her knuckles rapped against the door jamb and it took a moment before she got the “Yeah.” 
Opening the door, Romy stepped into the room, suppressing a smile. Nahele had obviously thrown himself onto the bed in a hurry, trying to appear like he’s been reading his English book for the last hour. 
“You not sleeping yet?” 
He shook his head “Wanted to read this.” 
“Of course. I just wanted to tell you that Steve headed out on a call.” 
“Oh ok.” 
“I’m gonna head to bed. Don’t make it too long ok?” Romy tousled his hair. She was almost out of the door when Nahele stopped her. 
“Romy?”
“Yeah.” She turned around. Nahele sat up against his headboard, his English book forgotten on his blanket. 
“I...I...” he didn’t really know how to start. “You’re in trouble or?” 
Romy let out a breath and perched on the edge of Nahele’s bed. “A little bit.” 
“Why didn’t you tell me. I thought we have no secrets here.” This cut Romy to the core, he sounded hurt. She looked up to the ceiling, trying to gather her thoughts. 
“You’re right.” 
Nahele opened his mouth, but Romy continued “but, we’re the adults here. You need to trust us and not listen to our conversations.” 
“I’m 15!” 
God, he never sounded more like a teenager. “I know.” Romy looked over the rim of her glasses at him. “You’re still our kid and we want you to not worry about things if there is nothing to worry about yet.” 
“I still worry.” Nahele bit his lip. 
She smiled at him sadly, she hated that they worried him. “They declined my green card application, but not my visa. So at the moment, nothing has changed.” She waited for Nahele to nod before she continued. “This is not only about me, Nahele. This involves the whole O’hana. Someone is taking shots at us.” 
“But Da...Steve he’ll sort it, right?” 
Romy nodded, Nahele’s unwavering trust in Steve made her heart burst. “He’s on it.” She leaned over to him and pressed a kiss to his forehead “Good night, kiddo.” 
Nahele grabbed onto her T-shirt “Can you stay? Until I’m asleep?” He asked shyly. 
“Of course.” Romy settled down next to him, his head leaning against her shoulder. Her fingers moving through his hair, trying to lull him to sleep. She had no idea, how long she sat there with him, the last thing she heard was Nahele murmur “I don’t want you to leave me, Mom.” 
“Never kiddo.” Then sleep claimed her too. 

——xx——xx——
A dreaded sense of deja vu hit Romy as she entered the Palace with several coffees and croissants the next morning. She had a very similar coffee run a year ago, when they were trying to get Chin out of custody and Danny back from Colombia. 
“Thanks for calling me.” She handed Kono her coffee. 
“Anytime. I think he’s getting bad news right now.” Her friend jerked her head to Steve’s office. He was in an intense conversation with another man. 
“Someone stole classified information about CIA operatives.” 
‘Fuck! That could mean his Mom or ... Catherine.’ This day was getting worse every moment. Steve stormed out of his office fuming. He stopped short when he saw Romy giving her an automatic kiss. “Hey, what are you...”
Romy brandished his cup of coffee “Here.” 
“Thanks!” he drained half of the cup before storming off to the holding cells. 
Then everything turned black. 
“Use your legs. Use your legs.” Lou helped Romy getting up. Around them everyone was groaning and completely disorientated. 
“Romy!” Steve stormed back into their offices, taking over Lou’s position as support “You guys alright?”
“Just a little woozy.” Romy leaned against him for a second, her arms tight around his midsection. 
“The same thing happened to you?” Chin supported himself on the computer desk. “What about the people downstairs?”
“I’ll check on them.” Lou staggered towards the doors. 
“Dalton’s gone.” Steve loosened his grip on Romy and checked her pupils. “Kono pull up the palace security cameras.” 
“What about Jerry? Anybody checked on Jerry?” Danny asked. 
“Dudes!” Jerry burst through the doors. “The craziest thing just happened to me.” 
“We know, Jer. The same thing happened to us.” 
They watched how a woman walked through the palace with a gas mask, returning with Dalton a couple of minutes later, disappearing into the streets.
“We gotta find her before she convinces Dalton to decrypt those files.” Steve was all action now. His hands framed Romy’s face “You ok?” 
“I’m fine. Go!” She pushed herself out of his hold, kissing him quickly. 
“Danny! Grab some earplugs.” Steve walked towards the doors. 
“Why?” Danny rubbed his forehead, this did not sound good.
 “Cause you gonna need them.” 
“That’s not really an answer.” With that the two disappeared. 
“I think I better go back to work as well.” Romy waved to Kono, Chin and Jerry.
——xx——xx——
Steve knocked at Romy’s office door “You busy?” 
“Come in!” 
He settled in the chair in front of her desk, just staring at her for a while. Not really sure what to say. 
“All operatives save?” Romy asked him. 
“Yeah.” 
“So who was in trouble, your Mom or Catherine?”
His head jerked up, how did she know. 
“Catherine.” 
“Fuck. She’s really ok?” 
“Yeah.” 
“I’m glad.” 
“Thank you.” 
Romy waited for another beat, she was sure he didn’t only come to see her telling her that. That could have waited until tonight until they were both home. He didn’t disappoint, leaning forward his elbows balancing on his knees, he recounted what Abby and Chin just told him. It was a lot to take in, it almost blew Romy’s mind. When he was finished, she said, “So let me get this straight. Abby was planted into 5-0 to find dirt on you all. And when she didn’t or wouldn’t find any, they started to put pressure on me, on Clara, trying to make you crack. Trying to make you break the law?” 
“Yes.” 
“That’s just sick.” 
“Yeah.” Steve leaned back in his chair, this day absolutely sucked. 
“You know we really need to stop repeating this kinda shit every year.”
“What do you mean?” 
“This year, last year, always around your birthday, the world conspires against us.” 
Steve chuckled at that, a look at her desk calendar proved her right, today was the 10th March, his birthday was tomorrow. “Well compared to last year, we are definitely in a much better shape.” 
A knock saved Romy from answering, Ani was standing at her door. “A courier is here and will only let you sign.” 
Romy got up from behind her desk, scribbled her signature on the teenagers' clipboard, and took the letter. The return address made her forgot how to breathe, with trembling fingers she opened the envelope. 
“Romy.” Steve got up and strode over to her “Romy, what is it?” 
She handed him the letter, her face pale beneath her freckles and a slight tan. He needed to read it twice, three times, and then just once more to make sure he properly understood. 
Depart this country within 10 days or risk being deported
That sentence played over and over in his head, as he looked back at Romy. Tears had gathered in her eyes, her mouth was moving, but couldn’t hear anything over the rush in his ears. Why would Coughlin do this? Why would he rip a family apart? He needed to fix this. This could not happen, he could not let that happen. She belonged here, she belonged with him, with Nahele on this island. All at risk because of a stupid vendetta from a petty man. How was he supposed to live when she was gone? How could he be some sort of father figure to Nahele without her? Thoughts were jumbling through his brain, scenarios on what would happen, where he could hide her, who he needed to talk to, but one never stopped appearing. Steve took Romy’s hands in his, intertwining their fingers, stopping her monologue with two words that have been swirling his brain for way longer than today. 
“Marry me.” 

Chapter 26: You fill up my senses

Summary:

Marry me - as if it was that easy

Notes:

Warnings: none...for once
Episode: Season 6 - Episode 19
Songs” The Strumbellas - High / James Blunt - Bonfire Heart / John Denver - Annie’s Song

Hello lovelies, 
You’re still here after last weeks cliff hanger? Thank you!
Without further ado I give you another slice of Romy & Steve!
Cannot wait to hear if you think I did them justice.
Enjoy xx 

Chapter Text

 

“Romy.” Steve got up and strode over to her “Romy, what is it?” 
She handed him the letter, her face pale beneath her freckles and a slight tan. He needed to read it twice, three times, and then just once more to make sure he properly understood. 
Depart this country within 10 days or risk being deported
That sentence played over and over in his head, as he looked back at Romy. Tears had gathered in her eyes, her mouth was moving, but couldn’t hear anything over the rush in his ears. Why would Coughlin do this? Why would he rip a family apart? He needed to fix this. This could not happen, he could not let that happen. She belonged here, she belonged with him, with Nahele on this island. All at risk because of a stupid vendetta from a petty man. How was he supposed to live when she was gone? How could he be some sort of father figure to Nahele without her? Thoughts were jumbling through his brain, scenarios on what would happen, where he could hide her, who he needed to talk to, but one never stopped appearing. Steve took Romy’s hands in his, intertwining their fingers, stopping her monologue with two words that have been swirling his brain for way longer than today. 
“Marry me.” 
“No.” 
“What do you mean - no?” 
“What do you mean - marry me?” They faced off in the middle of her office, looking at the other warily, the dreaded letter still clutched in Steve’s hands. 
“Ok.” she let out a deep breath “This here” she gestured around her office encompassing Ani who tried very hard not to appear as if she was listening in “not the place for this.” 
Steve rubbed his hand over his face “Yeah, you’re right.” Both of their eyes drawn to the letter. “Beach?” He suggested. 
“Beach sounds great.” Romy bit her lip, she could feel herself tearing up. She held out her hand looking up at Steve, not sure if he’d take it. She did just turn down his proposal. Hearing Romy let out a shuttered breath, moved Steve into action, pulling her out of the office, outside into fresh air. 
The beach was their place. A stroll along the beach was the first thing they did after getting Shave Ice. They walked for hours that evening, feeling a connection that almost was too much too soon. The beach stretch at their house, was the place they would go to chat, to relax, to be together. It had always been kind to them, the waves managed to calm then and the soft breeze took the sharp edge out of their words. 
They walked for a bit, fingers linked together so naturally like puzzle pieces. 
“You know how I feel about marriage.” Romy broke the silence. 
“Did you read that letter, Romy? They’re going to deport you, and you wont be able to enter the US again for 10 years.” Steve couldn’t believe her “Nahele would be 25 years old! What about us?” 
“I...I...” 
“Gorgeous, I love that you’re principled and want to stick with them even when its hard. But this...?” 
“What they are doing is wrong, Steve!” Romy ground out. 
He let out a sigh “I know that...” 
“Then do something about it, talk to the governor, or arrest Coughlin or something.” Her hand flew out, gesturing wildly. Steve pulled her to him, embracing her loosely. 
“We’d play right into Coughlin’s hand. He’d have solid evidence of 5-0 abusing their power for their own gain.” 
“This is such bullshit. Getting married because of immigration issues isn’t quite legal either.”
“Marrying you is not illegal.” Steve clenched his teeth. “It gets you to stay here. It’s the logical thing to do.” He tried to appeal to her pragmatic side, but honestly he had no idea why she was making this so difficult. 
“I know, but this is so wrong. We shouldn’t be forced to do this.” The turmoil clear in her voice. “Why would a marriage count more than our committed relationship?” 
“Romy, I don’t want to argue with you about immigration laws, but in this case it does.” 
“Well, it shouldn’t.” 
This was really bothering her, but he still had not clue why. Her general aversion to marriage could not be the only reason. “If you really don’t want to marry me, then we’ll find a way.” His hands rubbed up and down her arms, unwilling to let go of her. “It might be tedious and maybe you need to go back for a while, but we’ll sort it.”
Romy shook her head, she didn’t want to leave. Leave him, leave Nahele again for god knows how long. “No.” 
“Romy, talk to me please. I always understood your arguments about not needing to get married. But this now...this is a reason. A damn good reason that wouldn’t tear our family apart.” 
He sounded so desperate, what was she doing to him? To them? Why the fuck could she not just throw it all overboard? Romy turned in Steve’s embrace, keeping his arms around her she looked onto the ocean. 
“It will sound so silly, taking our situation into consideration, but” she swallowed “I always promised myself I wouldn’t get married until my brother could.” 
“What?” All the scenarios in his head, this one was not even in the top 10. 
“Gay marriage isn’t legal in Germany at the moment.” 
Steve frowned, did he miss something? He thought it was. 
“Oh you’re allowed a civil partnership, but not a marriage.” Romy explained snidely. “And with that you ain’t getting many of the rights, like certain tax reliefs, making decisions for your deceased or sick partner or adopting a child.” She talked herself into a rage. “How can I even think of getting married if he can’t?”
“I don’t know, but please do.” 
“I always promised myself...” she trailed off, her head coming to rest on his shoulder. The rage had left her at Steve’s sincere request. 
“Would Paul ever ask this of you?” 
She shook her head, cheek rubbing against his shirt. Of course he wouldn’t, Paul would be absolutely appalled by this, he’d never asked her for it. That decision was entirely Romy’s, her little defiance against the injustice her brother and so many more faced on a daily basis. He’d tease her relentlessly about not jumping Steve the moment he asked, then telling her if she’d not marry him, he’d do it in a heart beat. 
Steve pushed her back a little, needing to see her face, a dreadful thought had just entered his mind. “You want to stay don’t you?”
“Of course! What is that even for a question?” Romy slipped out of his embrace. 
Steve crossed his arms defiantly. “Well you are not doing the most obvious thing that allows you to do that. So I’m sorry for asking.”
“Yes, but you’re just asking me cause this is a solution to a problem. Not because you actually want to marry yourself.” 
“Wait.” He was going to get whiplash from their argument today. “Are you saying you said no, because I proposed after reading that letter.” 
Romy shrugged sheepishly, before adopting a slight haughty tone. “Well, no-one wants to get proposed to out of necessity or cause it will make things easier.” 
“Please do not tell me, you, who’ve been railing about marriage since I’ve know you, objects to a pragmatic proposal? You’re the pragmatic one, god dammit! This is the easiest way to make this whole thing go away.” 
“The most pragmatic thing would be to go to the governor.”
“Yeah” Steve scoffed “not gonna happen with Coughlin breathing down my neck.   Unless you want to visit me in prison, and conjugal visits are only for spouses.” He added as an afterthought. 
“I just feel...” Romy shrugged. Not too sure what she wants to say and how she wants to say it. “This is not how...argh! I don’t want to trap you. Marriage is...serious...it binds people together for life...or well at least until divorce.”
Steve chuckled “Gorgeous, you’ve got me trapped since we went for that very first shave ice together.  And I’m not planning to divorce you. Wanting to marry you isn’t something that just popped into my head. I’ve been thinking about it...but I do know how you feel about that topic.”
“So, you thought you’d use this to trap me instead.” Romy teased, trying to mask the emotion that crept into her voice. 
“You got it.” He kissed her temple, reciprocating her smile. 
“You never wanted to get married or mentioned marriage to me ever. I thought we’d be on the same boat.” Her hands loop around his neck, pushing herself onto her toes. 
Steve shrugged “What can I say, you make me want to do things I never thought I’d want.” 
Romy did not look completely convinced.
“And hey, we’d finally put a positive spin on this time of the year.” He echoed her earlier sentiment. 
“So, thats it? We’re getting married?” Romy asked.
“We’re getting married.” Steve confirmed, his eyes crinkled happily. Romy fisted his shirt and slanted her lips over his. They just agreed to get married! The thought left her giddy, despite her earlier misgivings, she giggled against his lips. Steve pulled away when he started to feel eyes on them, he didn’t let her go though. His thumbs tracing her cheek bones, unable to believe that this is how the day ends. “Tomorrow.” He whispered, his lips brushing against her forehead. 
“Tomorrow.” Romy echoed. Their moment broken quickly by Steve’s sudden jolt into action 
“I’ll need to call Danny!”
“What? Why?” 
“We’ve got a wedding to organise. It’s all hands on deck.”
Romy grabbed his hands, before they had the chance to reach for his cell phone. “We can’t tell him. None of them.”
“Of course, we tell them. They’re family.”  
“And what about mine in Europe?” 
“I…” Shit. She was right, it was either all of them or none of them. It wouldn’t be fair for that part to miss it, because they couldn’t be on a flight within 12 hours. “You’re right. So just us?”
“And Nahele.” Romy added. 
Steve gave her a duh look “I would not have left him at home.” 
“We are really doing this?” Romy asked. 
“Hell yeah!” 

 ——xx——xx—— 

To say Nahele had been ecstatic when they told him, was an understatement. The smile on his face did not disappear the whole evening. The next morning a knock woke them. “Are you decent? Can I come in?” 
Romy had pushed her sleep mask out of her face, darted a looked over at Steve, who snorted with laughter. 
“Come in you brat!” Steve called out and not a second later the door opened. Nahele set the tray down on the nightstand before he hopped onto the bed. Romy handed Steve a cup of coffee and sat up against the headboard. 
“Thanks.” Their fingers brushed on the cup, a shared smile in the soft morning light, then they turned back to Nahele, who had pulled out a piece of paper from his jeans pocket. 
“Your court appointment is at 4pm this afternoon, that gives us enough time for everything.” 
“Everything? Kiddo, it’s just gonna be the three of us.” Romy curved her body against Steve’s, sipping her coffee contently. 
“Doesn’t mean we don’t do this the proper way.” Nahele chastised. 
“Ok, ok ok!” Steve lifted his arm, the one not currently being laid on by Romy, in surrender. “What have you got on that list, kiddo?” 
“I called Odell to come here to do our hair and I called your hair lady, Romy.” 
“Its called stylist, Hele.” She chuckled at his choice of words. 
He waved her off and continued down his list from flowers, to even making a dinner reservation in disguise of celebrating Steve’s birthday, to calling the German embassy to find out how to recognise the wedding with them. Steve and Romy kept staring at him in wonder, he somehow managed to organise them a wedding. 
“How...When...Nahele. This is amazing.” 
The teenager looked at them bashfully “It wasn’t much, just some googling.” 
“It’s everything.” Romy pulled at his arm until he landed right between them. “Thank you, kiddo.” Steve pushed his hair out of his face affectionately, his other arm snaking around Romy’s shoulders pulling the two off them closer to him. They laid like this, quietly sipping coffee, munching on the cookies Nahele deemed nutritious enough for breakfast. He’d always thought he’d be nervous on his wedding day, anxious about the commitment he was about to make. He grinned to himself, he was happy, like this was supposed to happen. 
“Crap!” Nahele startled up “I forgot the rings!” 
After a quick glance to his nightstand, Steve assured him “I think I got us covered on that front.” Two sets of wide eyes turned to him. “What can’t a man have some secrets?” 
 ——xx——xx—— 
Steve and Romy had separated after breakfast and only saw each other again, while getting ready for their appointment. 
“You going to reveal your secret rings soon?” Romy stood in the bathroom applying her make up. Steve standing behind her, tying his tie. He had considered his dress uniform quickly, but then settled on the dark navy suit that always gave Romy a hungry look in her eyes. 
“Wouldn’t you like to know?” His hands ghosted over her sides, dipping in the opening of her light bathrobe, caressing her curves. 
“I’d like to very much.” Her face turned slightly towards him, bumping her nose against his ear, making him shiver. 
He pulled a small jewellers bag out of his trouser pocket, emptying the contents in Romy’s hand. Two simple gold rings. 
Steve’s chin came to rest on her shoulder, his arms around Romy’s waist. “These were my grandparents. Aunt Deb gave them to me. Just in case.”
Romy looked at the vintage gold rings, they were beautiful. “She was such a meddler, your Aunt Deb.” 
“What do you mean?” 
She detangled herself from his arms and reappeared a second later, a champagne coloured dress covered in tulle and polka dots, in hand. “I tried this on when I went shopping with Deb and Mary. I needed to leave early, remember?” Steve nodded, of course he remembered, it meant Deb drove his car. “This appeared in my closet the same day, a little note attached to it ‘Just in case.’”
Steve looked up to the ceiling ‘I hope you’re happy, Aunt Deb.’
“You guys ready? We are leaving in 5 minutes!” Nahele shouted from downstairs. 
“He’s worse than any of my drill sergeants in Basic.” Steve raised an eyebrow at her unimpressed. 
“Oh come of it, you love it. He’s a Mini You being all pedantic with time keeping.” 
He grinned proudly at that. 
With a big smile herself Romy held out her hand to him. “Come on Commander McGarrett let’s get married.” 
“Let’s do it Mrs McGarrett - to - be.” 
Hands intertwined they walked down the stairs together. 
 ——xx——xx—— 
They stood in front of the judge with bright smiles and shaky hands.
“Have you prepared your own vows or would you like the standard ones?” 
Sharing a startled glance, how could they forget about the vows? “Stand...”
“Can...Can I say something?” Nahele interrupted Romy shyly. 
“Sure?” Steve looked over to the judge, needing a bit of guidance. It’s not like they’d done this before. 
The judge nodded, encouraging Nahele to go ahead “Please son.”
“Ahem” he fiddled with his lei, the same that Steve and Romy were wearing. “When I asked each of you, how you knew you loved each other. Steve told me that he knew after your car accident, that you wanted to go home and home was with him, or how you wear a sleep mask so he can sleep with the curtains open. Romy said that no one makes her as at ease in her own self as you do. How you endure listening to audiobooks and podcasts to fall asleep, even if they’re in German.” A chuckle went through the room. “Home, strength, laughter, favourite person and guide were words that you both used that day.” Tears were flowing freely down Romy’s cheeks and Steve kept fingering the star on her bracelet. “But I’ve got one more for you. Family. My family.” 
“Oh Nahele.” Romy let go of Steve with one hand and they grasped Nahele’s hand. 
“Well, I don’t think I was ever upstaged by a witness.” The judge tried to break the tension with a joke. And then suddenly they were married, shared their first kiss as a married couple. Gold bands adorned their right ring fingers, a homage to her birth country, where wedding rings are worn on the right hand. 

 ——xx——xx—— 

They were holding hands standing at the beach  behind their house. Both still in there get up for the court house, they let the water lick at their bare feet. Romy looked over at Steve her eyes tracing his profile. 
Her husband. 
What for a weird feeling, but one that made her chest expand in the most delicious way.
“You know, one day I wouldn’t be opposed to a proper  proposal.”
“Yeah?”
”Yeah. You make me want to do things, I never thought I’d do.” She repeated his words from yesterday. 
They sunk into a kiss when a shout from the lanai interrupted them 
“Stop it! Let’s go to celebrate the Neanderthals birthday!” Danny waved at them from the lanai. 
“Lets go celebrate your birthday.” Romy grinned and they made their way up to the house. 
Steves finger slid along the gold band sitting on her finger. “Best birthday present ever.” 

 ——xx——xx—— 

“So girl you’ve been incredibly tight lipped what you and Steve did for his birthday and this surprise trip you guys went on.” 
“Really this is what you want to talk about today?” Romy’s hands went to her hips. “After everything that happened today?”
“Yes, take my mind off of things, please.” 
Romy shook her head at Renee’s antics. Her friend had run for her life today. Her family was in mortal danger and for a while she thought she’d lost her husband. After today, she had a feeling packed go bags were going to feature in her and Nahele’s future. Renee deserved some details.
“Well, we had a long weekend alone at a beautiful place with room service, before  Nahele joined us for half term.” 
“Oh, pul-lea-se.” Renee stretched out the word ironically. 
“What do you want to hear?” Romy stared at her over the rim of her glasses “How we almost broke the bed, because we got a bit too excited!” 
“Huh!” Kono made puking sounds beside them. “That’s my brother you’re talking about.” 
“Hell yes!” Renee high-fived Romy. “That’s the details I live for.” 
Kono sunk further into the sofa, trying very hard not to listen “At least you’re getting some.” She mumbled and squeaked straight after, as two sets of arms scooped her up.
“I get ‘Being married for over 20 years sex’, not the unmarried fun this one gets up to.” Renee’s voice had gotten louder, attracting the boys attention on the other end of the lanai. Steve caught Romy’s eyes and threw her a wink, unmarried sex indeed. She scrunched up her nose and smirked, it was nice to have a little secret in a family that has no secrets. 
Adjusting her hold on Kono and Renee, she poked Kono in the side “Have you tried the vibe I recommended?” She turned to Renee “Its great for couples, too.” A chortle could be heard from the guys, maybe she wasn’t as quiet as she thought, but fuck they were all adults and they were on their way from tipsy to drunk. Renee perked up at this “Really?” 
“Steve likes it.” Romy shrugged lightly. 
“Ok!” Steve appeared in front of them, extracting Romy out of the group hug, swooping her up in his arms “I’m taking her home, before we all can’t look at each other anymore.” 
“Ah boss, that ship has sailed ages ago.” Kono giggled into her cocktail glass. 
“Don’t worry Steve.” Renee leaned up, to press a kiss on Romy’s temple, trying to placate him at the same time. “It was all complimentary.” 
“Romy!” He exclaimed scandalised.
“What do you think we talk about? The best way to get gunpowder out of clothes?” Romy leaned back in his embrace. 
“Well we do, do that too.” Kono piped up from the sofa. 
“Let’s get you home.” Steve hoisted Romy further up, her legs tightened around his waist. 

 ——xx——xx—— 

They dropped Kono off at her place and snuggled up on the upstairs Lanai. The day had gone from great, Pancakes with Lou and making fun of Danny, to an absolute shit show.
“You gonna have us packing go bags, aren’t you?” Romy’s head tucked under Steve’s chin, hands idly wandering along their bodies. 
“Never bad to be prepared.” His arms tightened around her. 
“I’ll make you a deal.” Her chin now propped onto his chest. Steve smiled and started to play with a strand of her hair. “I’ll pack a go bag, if you tell me all the cases why I need one.” 
Steve looked at Romy, contemplating what she asked, what his wife asked of him. His WIFE. He could do this fo her, highly redacted of course, but if she’d trust him to keep their family safe, he could trust her with National Security. 
“Deal.” Sealed with a kiss and Romy snuggled back into him. 
A thought popped back into Steve’s head and he poked her side “What do you mean you’ve got Grace on  instagram?”
“She added me last year ago.” Romy mumbled into his t-shirt. 
“Why don’t I know this? I’ve been trying to get pics of Danny with the Beliebers for days now.” 
“I mean they are hilarious.” 
“Lemme see” 
“No!” Romy grabbed her phone quickly to get it out of his reach. 
“Common gorgeous!” Steve pleaded with her. 
“No”
“I just want to tease Danny. Let me see those posts.” 
“Nuhu! Not gonna happen Steve!” 
“Why not” he was pouting like a pre schooler now. 
Romy threw her phone behind her on the floor and straddled Steve’s lap. His hands  straight away to her hips stroking upwards. She framed his face with her hands, thumbs softly stroking his cheeks. 
“I make you a deal.” 
“Ok” Steve squinted at her, he could negotiate, dinner, massage or even taking her to the spa, he wanted those pics. 
“I’ll take screenshots of them and send them to you.” She nibbles on his bottom lip before slanting her mouth over his.
Steve moves his hand up into her hair scraping her scalp the way he knew she loved and not a second later he was rewarded with a moan. But then it clicked, why would she send him the pics. 
“Why would you send me screenshots?” 
“Huh?” Romy had moved to his neck and found his pulse point. 
“Why not just give me your phone.” 
Romy leaned back “What is this, an interrogation?” 
“Just wondering...”
“You Commander McGarrett are never just wondering.” Her right eye brow rose. 
“Just a little fishy...” 
“And here I thought I had your mental capacity rendered useless.” She pressed a kiss underneath his jaw and ground lightly in his lap. 
Steve groaned “you do.” 
“Then why don’t we concentrate on this?”
Well, she had a great point, he could work on getting those pictures tomorrow. He had more important things to concentrate on now. He carried her into their bedroom and set her down on the bed. Steve pulled his shirt over the back of his head, stalking towards her, joining Romy on the bed. 
“Oh by the way, tomorrow you’re learning how to shoot a gun, Mrs McGarrett.” 
 ——xx——xx—— 

Chapter 27: You are my son

Summary:

Summary: Some horrible news for Nahele...a beautiful moment for Steve… insecurities for Romy and Renee & Kono are back due to popular demand 
Warnings: Minor Character Death, Grief, Sullen Teenager, Insecurities
Episode: Season 6 - Episode 21 & 22

Notes:

Hello lovelies, 
Another chapter of Steve and Romy, unfortunately one day late - I hope you can forgive me.  Nahele is one of my favourites and a cinnamon roll, I’m sorry what I’m gonna put him through in this chapter. I’m so sorry. 
If you feel the need to shout at me, my inbox is always open. 
Enjoy xx 

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 ——xx——xx——  ——xx——xx—— 

Receiving the 911 text from Nahele had set off all alarm bells within Steve. The scenarios that popped into his head, were not helpful as he abandons the tools to fix the shed. Speeding up the coastline, the sirens blaring, his thoughts raced in competition with his car. 
What if there was an accident? Was he on his way to the hospital already? Nahele inside a burning shrimp truck made him push the gas pedal all the way to the floor. Fuck! What was he going to tell Romy?
With squealing tires, he pulled up next to the shrimp truck. There was no ambulance, no fire, no other police. What the fuck was going on? 
Kamekona stood way to calmly next to his van, for this to be a 911 situation. 
“Hey!” He climbed out of his truck and made his way over to him.
“Thanks for coming bruh.”
“Yeah.” Of course, he was going to come! What did Kamekona expect? “Is Nahele all right?” He was still tense! They walked around the truck and there he stood, all healthy, no scratches, and what he could see all hairs were accounted for. His heart literally sunk back from his throat into its right place in his chest. 
For fuck sake, he was going to get grey hairs! 
“Your text message said it was an emergency.” He accused Nahele. 
Nahele’s and Kamekona’s eyes shifted and Steve followed their gaze. He couldn’t believe it! All this for a flat tire?
“That’s the emergency? Unbelievable.” He groused. 
“I’ll …” Nahele started, but Steve wouldn’t have it. 
“That’s not a ... an emergency!” He interrupted. 
“I was just following orders.”, Nahele defended himself 
“It is an emergency brother,” Kamekona butted in. Steve turned to him, hands on his hips, hoping his friend would come up with a real good explanation, otherwise he might shoot him three other flat tires. “If I don’t get to Waikiki Food fest within the hour, Sammy’s shrimp shack is gonna grab my spot.”
“An Emergency is a life or death situation. You understand that? This is...This is a flat tire.”
“Let’s call it an economic crisis.” Kamekona shifted gear. 
“An economic crisis?” Steve exclaimed. Ok, that was it - forget the truck, he was gonna shoot Kamekona.
“If I don’t sell shrimp, Nahele don’t get paid.” Nahele grinned sheepishly at that, while Steve continued to frown. “Nahele don’t get paid. He looks for alternative sources of income, which might directly impact your and German Rose’s financial situation.” Kamekona looked incredibly pleased with his explanation. 
“Is that right?” Steve asked, oh was his friend in for a wake-up call. 
“Trickle-down economics bruh.”
Steve looked over at Nahele, who still tried to look as innocent as possible. “Well, you better hope Romy ain’t finding out about this, otherwise there’ll be hell to pay.” 
Nahele visibly paled, he hadn’t forgotten her mood after Steve took him out of school for surfing, even Kamekona shifted uncomfortably. 
“She loves me too much.” The big native said with confidence, but Steve could hear a sliver of doubt creeping into his sentence. 
“Yeah not after this stunt, Kame.” Steve patted him on the shoulder and send Nahele to his truck “There's a jack in the toolbox in the truck.”
“What did I tell you kid superman to the rescue.” Kamekona was pleased with himself, his little plan had worked perfectly. 
Steve did not even bother to say anything else, his friend got what he wanted, he wouldn’t listen to reason. His phone started ringing and he patted his pants pockets for the device. “McGarrett.” 
“You need to go?” Nahele came back with the jack. 
“Yeah.” Steve frowned, unsure if he should tell Nahele. He decided not to, what good would it do, it’s not like he had much information himself. 
“Have fun at the festival, ‘Hele.” He pulled his boy into a one-arm hug and then jogged over to his truck. 
“See ya later!”

——xx——xx—— 

The whole area was carnage, burnt bodies, injured inmates and the leftover piles of the bus left a stench in the air, that Steve would not forget anytime soon. What looked like a horrible accident, turned out to be a planned hit on one specific prisoner. On top of it, Adam was on the run with several incredibly dangerous men, including a rapist, murderer, and cannibal. That he was chained to Jason Duclair a convicted serial arsonist, was almost a relief. 
They couldn’t wait for the dogs and for S.W.A.T to finish assisting the prison with rehousing the other inmates. They needed to act now before they lost them in the woods. The team and HPD had divided out the jungle into manageable pieces to search. They were traipsing through their part of the jungle when Chin called with an update from Max on the double-tapped victim. 
“Listen Steve there’s something else you should know.” Chin sounded almost nervous. 
“What?” 
“Nahele’s father was one of the inmates on the bus. He didn’t make it.” 
The chatter behind Steve stopped, they all had heard Chin over the comms. Steve swallowed - fuck! 
“Does Nahele know?”
“No. I thought you and Romy wanted to be the one to tell.” 
Steve stared straight ahead, how could he tell his kid that his father died? 
“Chin, can you do me a favor and call Romy, patch her through?” 
“Sure.” 
“Alright.” Steve moved forward with purpose, while the team shared a worried look. Not even 10 minutes later, Chin’s voice came back on the comms, “I’ve got Romy for you, Steve.”  
“Steve. Everything ok?” Her voice spilling over his rattled nerves like honey. 
“There was a chemical accident in Halawa and then a bus with inmates exploded.” 
“Yeah, I saw on the news. Is Adam ok?”
“We’re looking for him now.” 
“What do you...”
“Romy, please.”
His tension must have carried over the phone, as she conceded quickly. “Ok.”
“Nahele’s father...he died in the crash.” His voice almost echoed through the jungle, he could hear the sentence multiple in his head, like his mind refused to accept the fact, but there was no reaction from Romy either. Had he lost connection again? Or did he not say it aloud?
“Romy...Romy. You there?”
“Yeah, I’m here...does...does Nahele know?” She sounded shaken. 
“No.” Silence filled the call once more. How could they tell him? How could they be the bearer of such horrible news? In the end, there was only one way. 
“We tell him together, tonight.” Steve decided. 
“Call me when you’re back and I’ll meet you in the office.” He could hear her taking some deep breaths.  
“Steve?”
“Yeah.” 
“It will be ok.” 
“Yeah.” With that he hung up, unsure if that would be the case. But god, he just needed to hang onto her words for a little while. 

——xx——xx—— 

Romy was pacing up and down in Steve’s office waiting for him and Nahele. Her nails had found a little patch of skin on her wrist, scratching back and forth. She didn’t need to wait long for Steve to arrive. He wrapped her up in his arms, burying his face in her neck. Romy let out a breath at the impact of his body colliding with hers, she tightened her hold on him. Her hands moving up and down on his back. Lifting his head slightly, Steve murmured “I should take a shower. Getting rid of the jungle.” His hand finding Romy’s “Come with me?” 
“We ain’t having sex in that dingy shower you’ve got here, McGarrett.” Romy had a strict ‘no sex at the office’ rule. She brushed over his eyebrow lovingly. 
“I know, McGarrett.” He loved how the soft smile grew on her face, hearing her new last name. 
“But I’ll keep you company.” She leaned back into his hand on her lower back, letting him guide her out of his office.
Steve had just settled back into his office chair, with Romy sitting on his desk, her legs between his, when he spotted Nahele entering the office. 
“Hey!” Steve shot up from behind his desk. Romy pressed her lips to his, a silent 
‘We can do this!’
Steve opened the door to his office, a pained smile on his face. 
“What’s up?” Nahele grinned at him, and the two engaged in their handshake - hug combination they had come up with, eliciting a smile from Romy. 
“Yeah, sorry about the whole tire thing this morning. The 911 really wasn’t...”
Steve pulled a face, he had completely forgotten to mention that to his wife, and the sound she made at 911 did not bode well. 
“Hi, kiddo.” She had turned on Steve’s desk facing them. 
“Romy. Hi!” Nahele glanced back at Steve, he was so screwed. “I didn’t mean to...” 
“Don’t worry about it.” Steve interrupted, and Nahele got the hint and switched the topic immediately. 
“Anyways, the food festival was amazing. I made so much tips and ahem Kamekona, he ah, he won best original dish for that...ahem... that Three Alarm Chilli Shrimp Dog. Yeah, it was so good.” Steve and Romy looked at each other. How could they tell him? He was so excited right now. This was so unfair. 
“So, ahem why am I here? What do you guys want to talk to me about?” 
“Sit down for a second.” Steve nodded to the chairs in front of Romy. 
“Romy?” Nahele turned to her questioningly. Her smile turned sad in an instant. 
“Nahele listen, ahem, your dad. Your dad was involved in an accident.” Steve started, but then his throat closed up, he couldn’t say it. He couldn’t ruin his kid's day. 
With a squeeze to his forearm, Romy took over. “There was a chemical leak at Halawa today. Your dad was being moved to another facility after it, to keep him and a bunch of other prisoners safe. One of these busses got hit by an IED.” She closed her eyes for one final reprieve. Taking Nahele’s hand in hers, she said calmly “Nahele, your father. He died.” 
They watched him closely, waiting for the tears, for any reaction, but nothing. Nahele sat in his chair, unmoving, his face turned to a mask. 
“Nahele, is there anything…” 
“Why are you making this such a big deal?” Nahele shoved his arm out of Romy’s hand. 
Steve tried again “He’s your father.” 
The teenager snorted at that. “Yeah right” he mumbled. He saw Steve and Romy share another look and scoffed once more. What did they want from him? It’s not like he liked the guy. “Can we go now? I’m actually starving.” 
“Of course.” Romy hopped off the desk. She shrugged at Steve helplessly, they were just going to go with the flow on this. 

——xx——xx—— ——xx——xx—— 

The next couple of days in the house were tense. Nahele had moved from stoic silence to snapping at them when they mentioned anything to do with his father. He didn’t want to talk about it, he didn’t want to think about it. It’s not like his father ever thought about him, ever worried about him. So why should he? 
He watched Romy pacing along the Lanai while pretending to look for a book. He had avoided both her and Steve in the recent days. It was easier to avoid them completely instead of just dodging their questions. They could be like dogs with a bone if they wanted to. He knew he couldn’t avoid them forever, he overheard them plotting last night. 
One of her hands held the phone, the other gesticulated wildly - Romy was not happy with what the other person was saying. Nahele inched the french door open and slipped out on the lanai. She had not noticed him yet, too busy arguing. Words like arrangements and funeral were being said, making him curl even further into the rattan swing. Of course, she was organizing the funeral. His father's funeral. Not that he’d be attending it - for all he cared they could just dig a hole and throw him in. He was so lost in his thoughts, that he didn’t notice Romy sitting down next to him. He squeaked when she bumped his shoulder. 
“Haven’t seen you in a while, kiddo,” Romy said. She was right, except for meals and school he had holed up in his bedroom. Even skipped his almost daily runs with Steve. 
“Didn’t want to talk,” he mumbled. 
Romy pursed her lips and nodded, her feet making the swing move. Not saying anything else, she kept her eyes straight ahead, waiting for Nahele to continue. 
“I don’t want to go.” his arms had found their way around his knees, pulling them tightly to his chest. His cheek resting on his knees, he watched Romy’s reaction. Her brows furrowed for a moment, and he could see her trying not to turn to him. She wasn’t quite successful though, her body reacting almost automatically to his voice. He missed her, she always made sure to look at him. He had lived for way too long in social care and on the street, no-one ever looks at you there. They just glance, pass you over, like they can’t believe they see someone that young homeless. When she met him, in Steve’s office, waiting with him, chatting, he had felt seen for the first time in years. He took a shuttering breath “Please don’t make me go to his funeral.” 
He could see how Romy’s eyes became glassy, he couldn’t quite make the expression, but it was a mix between sympathy and pity. 
“Are you sure?” 
“Yes.” 
“We won’t force you, Hele.” The ‘We’ shouldn’t have startled Nahele as much as it did, of course, Romy and Steve had talked about this. “But please think about it. It’s not something you can take back.” 
“You think I’d regret it?” 
“I don’t know,” Romy admitted. “I’m in such a privileged position, with my parents. I just don’t want you to look back on this one day and wish you’d made a different decision.” 
“I…I” Nahele chewed on his lip, suddenly a bit unsure. 
“You don’t need to decide right now.” Romy pulled him into a side hug. “The funeral isn’t until Saturday.” 
Nahele nodded against her shoulder “I guess so.” 
He could feel Romy making moves to get up, his hand shot out over her stomach “Can … can you stay?” 
“For as long as you want.” 
Nahele sunk further down into her hug, his head onto her shoulder, his arm tightened around her midriff. He closed his eyes when he felt Romy’s hand started playing with his hair, the motion of it and the chair swinging forth and back should not have been as soothing as it was. That was how Steve found them an hour later. He let out a sigh of relief, seeing Nahele for once not barricading himself away. He squatted down before the swing kissing Romy hello, and brushed over Nahele’s back. “You guys alright there?” 
“Just perfect.” Romy smiled at him, then mouthed ‘He sleeping?’ 
“Yeah.” 
She closed her eyes in relief briefly. Nahele had been pacing his room a lot during the last few nights, making it difficult for Romy to sleep either. 
None of them seemed to be in the right frame of mind to worry about dinner. “I’m gonna order some pizza for us.” Steve decided.
“I love you.” 
Steve’s knee joints creaked when he got up, eliciting a giggle from Romy “Love you too, Mrs. McGarrett.” 
“Erhardt - McGarrett.” 
He groaned at her come back, “I still can’t believe you hyphenated. You gonna run out of space whenever you need to sign something.” 
Romy poked her tongue at him in retaliation, she watched Steve disappear back inside then her gaze wandered back down to her son. She wished she could just take away all the sadness and anger he was feeling right now. 
The sound of Steve setting the table and paying the Pizza Delivery guy woke Nahele an hour later. He had slipped down to Romy’s lap during his nap. 
“Feel better?” she smiled down at him. 
“Yeah.”
“Good.” she winked at him, her fingers never stopped playing with his hair. 
“Romy, I think I know what I want to do on Saturday.”
“What is it?”
“Do you think, Steve would be ok going on a hike with me?” 
Romy looked disapproving ‘What is that even for a question?’
“The one we couldn’t finish last year, you know when we discovered the body.” 
“I’m gonna call for a permit right away” Steve popped up behind the swing, making both of them jump “and dinner is ready.” 

——xx——xx—— 

Nahele stood at the top of the ridge looking over Oahu when he felt the tears come. Steve’s hand on his shoulder made them come faster. “I don’t know why I am crying. He wasn’t a really good person.” 
“He was still your father.” 
Nahele began sobbing in earnest. Steve pulled him into a hug, his hand cradling Nahele’s head to his shoulder. 
“You know last year when we did this hike?” Nahele sunk onto the grass. 
“Sure.” Steve followed him, his arm still around the teenager's shoulders. Keeping him close. 
“I kept thinking” he wiped his nose on the back of his hand “I kept thinking, what I would give that this was my normal life? Like, would we do these hikes every other weekend? Would you and Romy always hold hands? Would we catch waves on the North Shore and you’d show me how to shoot a gun or drive a car. That day, I thought it was possible. Us, being a family.” He sniveled again. “And then Romy left and everything was wrong. When she came back, you guys lived together. I thought maybe now. Maybe now I can ask them.” 
Steve pulled Nahele closer, trying to squeeze the pain out of him. He would be lying if he hadn’t felt exactly the same. Even when everything was unclear and up in the air, they were a family. 
“And then he came back.” Nahele’s voice broke. “He didn’t care what I wanted. He just wanted to prove to everyone how much he had changed. I don’t know what I would’ve done...” 
“You would have been on a plane to Germany with Romy and a fake passport.” Steve interrupted.
“What!” Nahele stared at him wide-eyed. 
“You didn’t want to live with him, and you going back on the streets was not going to happen.” 
“Did Romy know?” 
“Of course she did!” Steve frowned “Not about the fake passport though.” He bumped Nahele’s shoulder “Better not tell her that.” 
Lifting his head, Nahele looked out over the magnificent view again. “You’ve been more a father than he ever was.” He mumbled. 
“And I’ll always be your father, Nahele. But that doesn’t mean you aren’t allowed to grief the one you wish he was.” 

They had taken their time hiking back down to the guides station, where they left the truck. The hike had been quiet, Steve could see Nahele trying to work through some things in his mind. He’d just put the key in the ignition when he’d heard Nahele clear his throat. Apparently, he was ready to share what was he’d been mulling over. Maybe he did want to go to the graveyard after all. 
“Thanks for today, Dad.” 
Steve’s hand stilled, hovered right over the key. He turned to Nahele slowly, staring at him, unable to process what he just heard. A split second later he leaned over the console and tackled Nahele in a bear hug. 
“Anytime, son.” 

Romy was sitting on the front step when the truck pulled in, her eyes puffy with worry and maybe a little bit of fear. Even through the windshield, Steve could see the exact moment when she swallowed it down, her shoulders squared ready to face whatever mood they brought back from the hike. She was still dressed in a black T-shirt and black trousers from the funeral. 
“I’ve got cinnamon rolls in the oven.” Her announcement was met with an excited cheer from Nahele. 
“Do I have time for a shower?” he asked over his shoulder. 
“I just put them in. You got 45 minutes.” 
“Yas!” Nahele bounded into the house. 
Steve tugged her into his side, his hand settling on her hip, Romy smiled up at him and slung her arm around his waist. 
“Did you guys had a good day?” 
Steve relayed his hike with Nahele while watching Romy whipping up the frosting and boiling some water. “He called me Dad.” 
His sentence hung in the air, the two staring at each other so intensely, that they didn’t realize how the icing dripped off the spoon onto the kitchen top. The spoon joined the splatter and Steve staggered two feet back to support Romy, who just launched herself at him. She dragged his head down for a passionate kiss, that left him breathless. 
“You are his Dad.” 
Nahele found them 20 minutes later, still in a deep embrace. “Teenager in the room, please keep it PG-13.” he teased. 
“Oh shut up. Nothing you haven’t don’t with Madison.” Steve teased him, not letting go of Romy. 
“Doesn’t mean I want to see it from my parents, Dad.” Nahele sassed back. 
Romy let out a small squeak of happiness, before she disentangled herself from Steve.  Opening the oven and prodding the cinnamon rolls, was a good way as any to hide her tears off joy. “5 more minutes.” she declared. 
“Well, that’s my cue for a shower. Better not eat those without me.” Steve swatted Romy on the bum on his way out. He returned not 10 minutes later, taking a shower without Romy joining him was boring as hell, he saw no point in dragging it out. Standing in the kitchen doorway, he felt like he was transported back in time. 
Nahele and Romy both stood in his kitchen, making cinnamon rolls again, just like they did after he was pulled into a day full of wrecking balls from Joe. He had wished then that this was his life  - how unbelievable that it now was. 

——xx——xx—— ——xx——xx—— 

“Thank god you are here!” The utter relief in Romy’s voice was palpable. 
“I’m so sorry!” 
“I really don’t care right now. We’ve got a hoard of teenagers outside, who’ve been clamoring for burgers for the last hour. They already tore through the buffet and it took all my negotiation skills to dissuade them to fire up the bbq themselves.” 
“Thank you!” Steve walked over to Romy, grasping her wrists in his hand. “Hey.” he tried to catch her eyes, she had a bit of a wild look going on. “I’m going outside, put the barbecue on, and feed the hoard some meat.”
Romy nodded “Ok.” 
“Have you eaten anything today?” He knew how nervous she’d been over Nahele’s birthday. Steve tsk’d at her negative answer. 
“Don’t at me, Steve.” Romy grumbled, “It’s not like you’re the poster boy for a healthy eating schedule.” 
“Come with me!” he dragged Romy outside, ignoring her protests about the cake, and parked her on the lanai bench. The noise out here was deafening, Nahele and his many friends, including Grace, Will, and Samantha were entertaining themselves in the ocean and garden. 
“Dad!” Nahele shouted in greeting. 
“Happy Birthday, ‘Hele! Sorry I couldn’t be here this morning.” Steve wrapped him in a hug, pretty surprised the teenager let him do that in front of all his friends.
“Thanks and don’t be silly. You’re here now. Any chance for some burgers. Mo…Romy wouldn’t let us light the BBQ.” 
“Right she was! You know the rule.” Steve bumped Nahele with his hip, perusing the buffet in the process. Romy was right they had pretty much torn it apart. 
“I know…I know…no one touches the bbq but you.” Nahele lamented. 
“Let me get this plate of food to Romy and then I’ll get right on that.” 
“Can’t she wait?” Nahele whined. “My friends are getting hungry.” 
“No, she can’t. Your m…Romy hasn’t eaten all day, cause she prepped everything you guys been devouring so far and she’s been picking up my slack on top of that.” 
“Ok, ok.” Nahele shrugged his shoulders, he guessed they could wait. 

Steve had fired up the barbecue ten minutes later and it seems the smell had attracted the rest of his team to join them for the party. The music was blaring and everyone seemed to be having a blast. When the sunset, Romy and him lit up the torches and lanterns dotted around the garden. He had felt better once she had started to nibble on the food he brought her, but she still looked a bit tired and withdrawn. He breathed a little sigh of relief when Kono and Renee dragged her down to the beach. 

“Does it bother you?” Kono handed Romy a bottle of beer and a can of coke to Renee.
“What?” Romy furrowed her brows. 
“That Nahele calls Steve Dad and not you Mom.” Leave it with Kono to just blurt out what had been on her mind for some weeks now. 
“Honestly, I love it.” Romy lifted the bottle to her lips, taking a sip. 
“But?” Renee prompted her. 
“Hey” Kono put her hand on Romy’s shoulder, sensing her friend's hesitation. “It’s us - you can tell us anything. We won’t judge.” 
Romy squeezed her eyes shut “It sucks. Fuck I feel like I’m begrudging them their moment. But I don’t, believe me.” 
“Hey, we believe you.” Renee’s arm now made it around her waist, with Kono nodding along.
“It feels like there’s this wall now…you know. The father and son and then there is me.” 
“Have you told Steve?” 
“For what? So I not only sound like a bitch, but be a bitch? No, this has nothing to do with him and everything with me being insecure.” Romy declared.  
The three women looked out on the ocean, Renee and Kono didn’t know what else to say. They hated the way Romy appeared, dejection seeping through with every word. The sound of someone clearing their throat made them all twirl around. Danny stood behind them a beer bottle dangling from his fingers “Steve send me, apparently I’ve been made messenger. He’s asking if it’s time for cake and presents?” 
Romy checked her watch “I think it’s cake time!” She pasted on a happy smile, squeezing her friends' hands thankfully, and walked back up the house with Danny. 
“You know I actually wanted to talk to you.” 
“What troubles you, Daniel?” Romy linked her arm with him. 
“I cannot believe you’re serving beer to teenagers!” Danny’s voice could only be described as a screech. 
“Would you please be quiet!” she tried to shush him. 
“How can I? When you’re serving beer to teenagers!” 
“Would you please just read the god damn label!” She groaned and twisted the bottle of beer in his hand. “It’s a non-alcoholic beer, you Stinkstiefel.” 
“I hate it when you insult me in German.” He pulled her into a quick headlock, making Romy shriek. “Why are you serving non-alcoholic beer then?” He let go of her again. 
“Those boys don’t know left from right with their alcohol. At least this way we’re cool parents and they don’t smuggle in the shit from their parents' liquor cabinets.” 
Danny looked almost impressed “Smart...smart indeed.” 
“There you are!” Steve met them halfway. “What took you so long?” 
Romy stepped into his side, letting herself be pulled closer by Steve’s arm. “Needed to educate Detective Williams over here on Non-Alcoholic Beer.” 
“Ah!” Steve’s lips caressed her hairline. 
“She called me a German name again!” Danny complained once more.
“And you put her in a headlock. Don’t think I didn’t see that.”
“This so unfair!” Their friend continued to pout. 
“Come on, Stinkstiefel. I’ll sneak you the second biggest piece of birthday cake.” Romy tried to appease Danny.
“You did it again!” 
“Danny, you want your cake or not?”
“Of course!”
“Then please, either learn some German to insult me back or zip it.” Romy patted Danny’s cheek. 

The cake Romy had made was a three-tier chocolate dream with sprinkles and two different kinds of chocolate icing. It had taken her 3 days, 5 tries, and a frantic phone call to her Mom to finally get the result she wanted. Carefully she and Steve carried it outside, making sure that the lit candles weren’t blown out. They started singing Happy Birthday and quickly the rest of the party joined in. Arm in arm they watched Nahele cut into the cake with a massive smile and distributing it among his guests. 
“You gonna tell me what case almost made you miss your son's birthday party?” Romy pinched Steve’s butt through the back pocket. He pulled her close, poking her side, hitting her ticklish spot perfectly in retaliation. 
“A guy kidnapped a college girl, to broadcast her confession about an accident she caused all over the internet.”
“Fuck.” Romy breathed out. “Did he succeed?” 
“Yes, for the broadcasting, luckily no for him pushing her to kill herself.” 
“Thank god.” 
“She was a fighter. Already trying to escape, when we got there.” 
“Good on her.”
“Yeah...”
“Steve, you don’t think she deserved it, do you?” 
“What? No?” He didn’t sound very convinced. 
“This will never go away again. She’ll be forever judged for her worst mistake. I don’t wish that on anyone.” 
“Well, Toast is working on burying it so far down in Nirvana, it will hopefully never resurface.” 
Romy smiled at him proudly, of course, he would try to make it disappear. That was her husband. She kissed his jaw. “You are a good man, Steve McGarrett.” 
Their moment was interrupted by the birthday boy bounding up to them, holding out two plates of cake. “Romy, Dad! Thank you so much for today. It’s been awesome.” 
“You’re very welcome, kiddo.” Romy passed one plate to Steve, keeping hold of the other one. “We wanted you to have the best day.” She kissed Nahele’s cheek. 
“I did!” 
“So, you’re ready for your present then?” Steve asked around a fork of cake. “This is amazing, Romy.” 
She smiled at him gratefully. 
“Present?” Nahele looked between the two of them. “I thought all of this was my present?” 
“Well then, you don’t want this then?” Steve pulled out something from his jeans pocket, dropping it into Nahele’s hand. 
“Is this?” The teenager stared at it in wonder. “Are these the keys for the Marquis?” He looked up at the adults, making sure this was not a dream. 
“Yes.” Romy added, “Of course you need to pass your driving test first.”
“Of course, of course!” Nahele hopped a little up and down before he launched himself at them. “Thank you so much! For everything!” 
“Happy Birthday.” Steve ruffled Nahele’s hair. “Now go enjoy your party and let me and Romy find a quiet and dark corner.”
“Eww...I’m outta here.” He bounded back to his friends. 
Romy turned to Steve, her hands wounding behind his neck “You’ve got a quiet and dark corner in mind?” 
“Oh definitely. We haven’t had much time for ourselves recently.” 
“And Nahele’s 16th birthday party is the right spot for that?” 
“You spend the last week perfecting a chocolate cake, that you don’t even like yourself. I think that deserves a reward.” Steve leaned down to kiss the tip of Romy’s nose. “Come on!” He took her by the hand and they strolled further down the beach, settling on one of the Adirondack chairs. Romy had her arms looped around Steve’s neck and shoulder, his hands wandering over her legs. 
“You think Nahele had a good day?” Romy murmured against his skin. 
“Gorgeous, listen” Music playing, teenagers laughing, the voices of their friends echoing down from the garden. “I think he’s having the best of days.” 

——xx——xx—— ——xx——xx—— 

Romy could not believe what she just heard, how dare they! The plastic cup in her hand bore the brunt of her fury. 
“Oh, Romy! Hi!” One of the women had turned around to her. “We didn’t see you...” 
“If you had seen me, you wouldn’t have said that you think I stole my partner and son away from another woman or did I miss something?” 
Two of the other moms had the decency to look ashamed, trying to avoid her gaze. 
“Well, you can’t be surprised?” The ring leader continued. “It’s not like you can be Nahele’s real mother, now can you?” 
“Excuse me?” How much of an arsehole do you need to be to say shit like this aloud. 
“You’re way too young and not...” a judging look across Romy’s features “very native.” 
“The makeup of my family is not any concern of yours.” Romy bit back. 
“How did you manage to snag such a nice piece of man in any case?” 
Un - fucking - believable! Were these women for real? Romy thought these things only ever happened on TV-shows, not in real life. 
“And Nahele does he spend every weekend with you or every second? Poor boy, a broken home is never the best starting point in life. Don’t you feel guilty at all?” 
The only reason why Romy didn’t launch herself at that woman was Steve’s shout across the Track field for her. 
“Nahele’s home isn’t broken.” With that, she turned on her heel and stalked over to Steve. 
It took him half a bag of gummy bears to talk Romy down from her rage to finally tell him what happened. His tirade was luckily interrupted by Nahele, she did not think she’d be able to hold him back, not that she wanted to. 
“What’s going on?” Nahele looked between Romy and Steve. Steve was furious and Romy looked uncomfortable as hell. 
“You ready to go?” Romy asked, pasting on a fake smile. 
“All showered and ready to go, but what happened?” His medal proudly hanging around his neck. 
“Everything is fine.” Romy tried to downplay Steve’s frown, but that just got her a scoff in return from her husband. 
“Coach Peterson, didn’t try anything did he?” Nahele shoved his bag in the back of the truck, climbing in after it. 
Steve turned around to him “What do you mean?” 
“Oh, ahem nothing I guess.” Nahele tried to cover his slip up. 
“Not gonna happen. Talk to us.” Steve pinned him with his Dad glare. 
“Dad, come on.” 
“Nahele!” 
“Not while you’re driving.” Nahele crossed his arms defiantly, making Romy snort out a laugh. 
Shrugging at Steve when he turned his glare on her, that was his first lesson while teaching Nahele how to drive. Do not drive angry or agitated - who was she to disagree with him. 
“Fine.” Steve turned off the car and lifted his hands of the steering wheel. 
“I think he wants to score with Romy.” Embarrassment flushed Nahele’s face. 
“Coach Peterson” Steve needs a moment to translate teenage speak in his head, “told you he wants to have sex with Romy? Did he say that? In front of you?” 
“What! No! He was talking to some of the other men, I overheard them when I came out of the changing room and M...Romy was standing at the drinks stand. He talked about her all inappropriately. If that had been me, you’d give me the longest lecture of my life.” 
Steve stared over to Romy, who shrugged again. It’s not like she could control what some guys were saying about her. He contemplates to sick the IRS on Coach Peterson, or maybe his old SEAL Team would do a better job. He was ripped out of his revenge plans when he heard Nahele said. 
“Then he touches her.” 
“He touches you?!” He shouted at Romy, seeing red. 
“No, he hasn’t. Steve, I would have told you, if he made me uncomfortable.” Romy tried to calm him down. Coach Peterson had never touched her inappropriately, yes, he tried to flirt, but nothing else. Steve was halfway out of the car before she was able to stop him. 
“I’m gonna kill him, Romy. He has no fucking business touching you or anyone else.” 
“Steve, I need you to take a breath. I’m telling you the man hasn’t touched me.” Romy clamped her hand on his leg, her fingernails leaving crescent shape rounds on his tight. “Nahele, where did you get this from?” She turned around to him. 
“It’s almost every single time at pick up, a hand on your shoulder and no matter what you say he laughs....and you’re not that funny.” He shrugs sheepishly. 
“Hey!” Romy exclaimed insulted. She was funny. “Thank you for telling us, Nahele. We’ll take care of it.” 
“Just like we gonna deal with those PTA Moms,” Steve added menacingly. 
“What did I miss?” Nahele leaned forward between their seats. 
“Nothing.” Romy bopped his forehead, making him fall back into his seat. 
“Some of Oahu’s finest mothers decided to voice an opinion on our parenting skills,” Steve explained. 
“Oh please, your fathering skills were highly commended. It was rather my mothering style, that was pulled into question.” 
Nahele could see Romy’s jaw tighten, there was definitely more to it and he was disappointed when she did not continue. They sat in the car for a couple of heartbeats in silence, the aired dirty laundry tensed them all up. 
“Am I allowed to drive now?” Steve tried to lighten the mood. 

——xx——xx—— 

Nahele couldn’t sleep, the day’s event still playing in his mind. They had celebrated his medal at Kamekona’s with everyone, even Madison was allowed to join them, despite her being grounded for the last week. It should have been a great day, but instead, he lied in his bed, his thoughts going in circles, his coach, Romy, Steve, those weird other Moms. With a groan, he gave up and went to get some water. Voices made him stop short in the hallway. It seems like Romy and Steve couldn’t sleep either, he knew eavesdropping was bad, but he inched closer to their bedroom anyway. The sunroom door was open and the door to the upstairs lanai, as well. He could see their silhouettes outside, perched on the sun lounger they had up there. 
“You wanna talk about it?” Steve grasped her hand. 
“It’s nothing.” Romy tried to placate him. 
“Gorgeous don’t do that. Talk to me.” 
“As soon as I say it out loud, you gonna think I’m such a bitch.” 
“Never!” Steve swung her legs over his lap. 
“It feels like it’s Dad and son now, and I’m just standing on the outside, not quite belonging.”
“Romy ...”
“I do know how bitchy that sounds and please believe me when I tell you that I love nothing more than when he calls you Dad. Or how you light up when he does.” she shook her head at herself. 
“I believe you.” And he meant it, Romy would never be able to begrudge him or Nahele their bond. He just hated that it made Romy doubt Nahele’s love for her. The boy loved her, so much. 
“And the PTA Moms today didn’t help either.” 
“You’re nothing like them!” Steve whispered furiously. “Any of their kids' step or otherwise would be lucky to have you as their Mom. Just as lucky as ours is.” 
Romy curled further into him, her hand fisting his T-Shirt tightly. “Thank you. I needed to hear that.” 
“Anytime - we are each other’s cheerleaders. That’s what we do.” He kissed her temple several times in quick succession. “You ready to go to bed now?” 
“No.” Romy shook her head. “But you go, I’m gonna stay out here a little while longer.” She stroked his cheek and kissed him lovingly. 
Nahele could hear Steve getting up and he made a hasty retreat into the hallway. 

“I’m sorry.” 
Romy’s head snapped around at the sound of his voice. 
“Nahele, what are you doing up? 
“Couldn’t sleep.” He stepped further onto the lanai. “You neither?” 
Romy shook her head, then patted the sun lounger prompting Nahele to join her. He mirrored her cross-legged position, their knees touching. 
“What are you sorry for?” She wanted to know. 
“That...that...” it took him a moment but then the damn broke within “you feel excluded cause I call Steve Dad now. And whatever those PTA women said and the whole thing with Coach. I didn’t want any of this to...”
“Stop it!” Romy interrupted him, getting hold of his hands in hers. “I want you to listen to me closely. That you call Steve Dad is the best thing. Don’t let anyone tell you any different, ok. What I guess you just heard” she said with a knowing smile “has nothing to do with you and Steve and everything to do with my own insecurities, that came out in full force today. You are not responsible for it, ok?” Romy implored him to believe her, this was not his chip to bear and she was relieved when she saw a small nod. 
“Was it the other Moms?” 
The face Romy pulled gave her away instantly. 
“What did they say?” 
She almost needed to giggle, he concealed being mad almost as bad as Steve did. 
“It’s nothing, really.” 
“We have no secrets in this family, Romy. Especially if it’s something that affects you this much.” He quoted her words back to her. 
“I knew my rule, would bite me in the ass one day.” Romy moaned playfully “Apparently I somehow ruined your original family with my womanly ways and seduced your Dad away and now you’re stuck with the young wannabe Mom on weekends.”
This was the craziest thing Nahele ever heard - what utter bullshit! He could see it in Romy’s face that it hit her hard, being accused of something like that. “You know they’re just jealous right?” 
“What?” Romy appreciated his effort to cheer her up, but he didn’t need to lie, and she told him that. 
“I’m not lying! None of their husbands look at them like Dad looks at you and believe me sometimes I wish he didn’t. And their kids? Why do you think we’re always here? Cause they want to be here and it's not just because of the beach. It’s actually quite embarrassing how many of my friends have a crush on you.” He shuddered at that thought. “Don’t listen to them, please.” 
Romy smiled at him “Thank you, I needed to hear that.” She flicked his shoulder with her fingers “When did you become so perceptive?” 
“Learned from the best.” Nahele grinned at her cheekily. They sat on the lanai for a while, no words exchanged, just the two of them. They both felt lighter now, having shared what was weighing them down. When the wind began to pick up, Romy draped some blankets around them, neither of them ready to go inside yet. 

“I do want to call you Mom, you know.” Nahele’s voice small, as he looked down at his hands, still in Romy’s grasp. “But I feel like, like I’m betraying my Mom somehow.” 
Her heart broke a little for her boy. How could she have been so careless for him to hear her, that was nothing he needed to carry. She squeezed his hands, making Nahele look up at her. 
“One day, if you feel comfortable and you feel ready to call me Mom, I’d be truly honored. But if that day never comes, Nahele, I don’t care either. Nothing could change the way I love you, ok? Not if you call me Mom or Romy. I could not love you any different if I’d born you myself, ok? I thank your mother every day for you.” Romy brushed away a stray tear from Nahele’s cheek, then wiping her own “She’ll never see you grow up, be the man she helped raise, and I’ll never experience you as a kid. Somehow you’re mine in a way you’ll never be hers and you’re hers in a way that’ll never be mine.” Romy pressed a kiss to his forehead. “You’re my son, Nahele.” 

——xx——xx——  ——xx——xx—— 

Notes:

The quote Romy paraphrases at the end is from Denise Woodall 
Stinkstiefel - literal translation Stinky Boot - someone who’s constantly in a bad mood or complaints a lot and tries to ruin the fun for others. 

Chapter 28: He closed his eyes - he was home

Summary:

Summary: Steve deals with the scars that his job and the past left behind...Nahele looses a friend...and Romy tries to hold them all together

Warnings: Smut, gun violence, gun shot wounds

Episode: Season 6 - Episode 23 - 25

Notes:

Hello lovelies, 

I’m so sorry I’m a day late! The final episodes of Season 6. Your comments and messages always make my day - keep them coming!

Enjoy xx 

Chapter Text

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

She had no idea how it happened, somehow she ended up being the commercial adviser to all 5-0’s informants. Here she was, sitting on her lanai reviewing Gerard Hirsch’s latest forecast, that he needed to submit to the government in order to keep his start up subsidies.

“Honestly Gerard.” Romy twirled a lock of hair around a pencil “A new milk container is not business expenses.” She pointed to one of the item lines “Especially when that thing costs $100. Is it made out of gold?”

“It’s vital to my business. The hours are erratic, I need to be well caffeinated.” Gerard shifted on his seat, when Romy pinned him with a glare over the rim of her glasses. He hated it, how did she manage to convey irritation, disappointment and ridicule with one pointed look. He needed to ask the kid how he could stand it.

“This is literally the thing you pour in milk to foam it up, not the freaking coffee machine in itself. Loose it and buy a french press for your van.” Romy stroke through the line on the spreadsheet.

“I...I...” Gerard stuttered. “You are ruthless.” He admitted defeat and leaned back in his chair, trying to ignore Romy’s grumbling about his other business expenses.

“Hey gor...” Steve stopped short when he saw Gerard Hirsch lounging on his lanai. “What is he doing here?”

Romy didn’t even look up from the spreadsheets “How was your day, babe?”

“Ok” Steve came closer, eyeing Gerard suspiciously, not letting him out of his sight even as he leaned down to brush his lips across her cheek. “Doesn’t answer my question though.” He perched right next to her on the arm of the bench “Why is he here?”

“Rude!” Gerard protested before Romy could answer Steve.

“I told you. I’m helping Gerard with his government funds application.” She gestured to the papers in front of her.

He frowned, of course he listened to her, especially if that meant she spend time with Gerard Hirsch voluntarily. “I thought that was done?”

“When the government loans you money, the paperwork is never done!” Gerard lamented, stretching back in his chair.

Steve looked at Romy, ‘Seriously?’ His wife shrugged innocently at him, pressing her lips against his arm. Steve groaned, he was such a sucker for her. “You gonna stay for dinner, Hirsch?” The question pained him deeply.

“Oh if you insist.” Hirsch grinned at him.

Dinner turned out surprisingly pleasant, despite Steve glowering at Hirsch every 2 minutes, Romy stopped counting how often she kicked his shin to get him to stop. Nahele thought this thing was absolutely hilarious, not even bothering to hide his grin. It was always fun when someone tried to flirt with Romy with Steve in the vicinity - nothing brought out the caveman quicker in his Dad.

 ——xx——xx—— 

Later in the evening Romy and Steve sat out alone on the lanai, Romy’s head was nestled on Steve’s lap, his legs swinging the swing softly. His fingers playing with Romy’s locks absentmindedly.

“You ready to tell me what happened today?” Romy pulled him out of his thoughts.

“How?” he looked down at her, the candles casting long shadows across her face.

Romy’s chuckle almost drowned out by the pitter patter of rain hitting the roof above them. She reached up, rubbing across his 5 o’clock stubble. “I know you. You had your ‘I had a weird and crazy day, and I’m not sure what to do’ face on all evening.”

Steve captured her hand in his, lifting it to his lips kissing the back of it. “I’ve got a face like that?” He murmured against her skin.

“You’ve got a face for everything, Schnuffi.” Romy said affectionately.

Steve let out a sigh, his fingers resuming their previous play with her hair, trying to sort his thoughts. Carefully he recounted the whole day, from Vanessa’s death, Michelle Shioma’s involvement, Sara being Chin’s niece, Chin being shot while the little girl got abducted, to the horrible shoot out.

“That was a full day indeed.” Romy commented once he was finished, her hand had made its way to his neck, massaging his tense muscles. Silence settled over them for a while, the only sound the creaking of the swing and the wine glass that was handed back and forth between them.

“So Chin got a niece now?”

Steve took the glass back from her, taking a sip of the white wine “Yeah.”

She shook her head, rubbing it along his leg “Our Ohana is weird. We’ve got kids popping up randomly every couple of months. Charlie for Danny, Sara for Chin.” Grinning up at him, she asked cheekily “Any kids popping up for you, I need to prep for?”

Steve laughed at that “Nah, we were the first ones. Let the others have their moments.”

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

“She’s just a kid” he tried to reason with Brigante. His gun trained dead centre on him, drowning out the taunting. He took a chance and shot, before he could do anything Brigante moved and Steve hit Sara instead. The little girl collapsed on the floor, blood pooling around her, dyeing her dark hair red.

Panting Steve shot up, gasping for air he checked his surroundings, trying to get his breathing under control. He stared at his hands, he could have shot Sara. She could have... his thoughts swirled and wired around his brain like on a merry go round with no way to stop or getting off.

“Steve! Steve!”

His eyes forcefully moved up. How did Romy end up in his lap?  Her hands framing his face. He could feel her fingers, smoothing over his worry lines, ghosting over his lips and eyes. They warmed his cold skin, making him return to the here and now, leaving the nightmare behind.

“You back with me?” Romy eyed him carefully.

Steve nodded “Yeah.” His voice raw. Did he scream during his nightmare? He shifted back against the headboard, taking Romy with him. Her arms and legs looped around him, enclosing his body completely in her hug. He never felt more protected in his life.

He shook his head trying to get rid of the cobwebs his dream had left behind. “I make so many shots almost every day. Why this one?”

“Maybe because it was a little girl. Chin’s niece twice removed or something, O’hana.”

“I could have killed her.”

“You didn’t. You saved her life.”

No words were spoken after this, their lips and hands did all the talking. Reassuring and all consuming at the same time. It didn’t move further somehow, just some good old fashioned kissing, hands in each others hairs, nibbling on jaws and lips and neck. Slow, almost lazy, enjoying each other until they fell back asleep, in each other’s arms unwilling to let go.

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

Romy wandered through the lobby of the Moana Surfrider Hotel, the meeting had gone well. Better than well actually, as of this autumn they were the management company for the property. Mr Khan was over the moon, another piece of the Hawaiian hotel landscape now part of his portfolio.

“Hello! Shouldn’t you be catching bad guys?” She approached a table where Steve and Max were sitting, a letter laid next to Steve’s plate.

Max stood up and kissed her on the cheek “Romy how wonderful to see you. I was just informing Commander McGarrett of my intention to take a sabbatical, to work with the Medical sans frontiers.”

“The MFS? Max that’s amazing. Congratulations for getting accepted.” Romy squeezed her friends arm happily.

“Thank you!”

“When are you leaving us?” She asked him, while giving Steve a kiss hello.

“In a couple of weeks.”

“Well you will be missed.”

“Yeah, Max.” Steve stood up now as well, his little finger intertwining with Romy’s. “We will miss you.”

As always, it did not take long for Steve’s phone to interrupt the moment between friends.

“McGarrett.” A pause while he listened to the other end. “We be there in 10.”

“You gotta go?” Romy

“Solid tip on Gabriel Waincroft.”

“Well of you go then!” She shooed him away and Steve moved halfway through the lobby, before he turned around and jogged back to where Romy and Max were still standing.

“Ste...?” He slid his arms around her and gave his wife a solid kiss.

“For good luck.” He smirked at her, leaving her standing gasping for air, and made a beeline through the lobby to his car.

His phone binged, when he sat in the car.

‘Stay safe, Commander. Love you.’

 ——xx——xx—— 

She hadn’t heard back from Steve since her initial text message, not that this was unusual, but something niggled at the back of her mind, not leaving her alone. With a sigh Romy packed up her stuff at 4pm heading over to the Palace, she just arrived when Jerry directed the guys to a bus ‘Line of Duty’ Style. Romy grasped onto the table when the guys got shot at from all angles, only to be rescued by Lou, who sounded like he had the most fun in a very long time.

Just that day they shaved at least 10 years of her live and should she get any grey hairs, her hair stylist bill would go straight to the Palace. She only managed to breath properly again when she heard Steve over their comms “Chin its over, you hear me. Its over. We got him.” Her head sinking to her chest, her hands easing on the white knuckle grip she had on the table.

“Jerry to 5-0, roll cal guys. You all alive?”

“Yeah we’re all alive and accounted for, Jerry. Good Work.” Steve came back straight away.

Lou followed up, giddiness clear in his voice. Romy needed to have a chat with Renee what their husbands understood as good fun. “Mr Ortega, we couldn’t have done this without you buddy. Good work.”

“You didn’t get us killed, I give you that Jerry.” She needed to chuckle at Danny’s obvious struggle to say thank you.

“Mahalo Jerry.” Leave it to Kono to soften Danny’s response.

“I feel a badge coming my way.” Jerry looked up at Max, who nodded back at him encouragingly.

“Any chance for a good word, Romy?” Jerry turned to her.

“Sweetie, you know I don’t get involved in this. Otherwise Steve would think he could help him in my job, then I’d be screwed.” She panned back making the other three laugh. “You’ll get there. Give it time.”

 ——xx——xx—— 

They drudged through the door of the Palace, guns shouldered and their vests still on. The only one missing was Chin, but Romy didn’t pay that any thought, as she pushed past Jerry and flew into Steve’s arms. Steve held her close one hand splayed on her back the other cradled her head to him. Letting out a relieved breath. Her feet skimming along the floor with the force that Steve had pulled her against him.

“What are you doing here?” He murmured into her skin.

“Wanted to pick you up for an impromptu dinner date.”

“Yes, please.” Nothing sounded better right now then having someone else cook for them and bringing them Longboards, especially after they just exchanged one fugitive for another.

Romy drove to them to their usual little pub, a couple of blocks away from their house. After a burger, two beers and his hand constantly somewhere on his wife, Steve felt better. He checked his watch and phone, still no news from Chin.

“You ok?”

“I think, I should check in with Chin at the hospital.”

“Come on. I’ll drive you.” Romy grabbed her bag and scooted out of the booth, Steve following closely behind her.

 ——xx——xx——

She waited in the car, watching Steve approach Chin, who sat on the front steps of the hospital, staring into the distance.

“Hey.”

“Hey.”

“Michelle Shioma is gone. She’s in the wind” he hated being bearer of bad news, especially when he saw Chin’s surprised and resigned face.

“The FBI is on it” Steve continued “but ah she’s got the resources to disappear.”

Chin nodded solemly “Yeah she does.”

“Any word on Gabriel?”

“He went into cardiac arrest in surgery. He didnt make it, Steve.”

Steve nodded, unsure what to make with this. They were after Gabriel for so long, and now he’s dead and they’ve got another criminal on the run.

“You know, it’s strange I thought I wouldn’t feel anything.” Chin shook his head, trying to make sense of his thoughts.

“Hey buddy, you could have never changed that guy.” Steve said with conviction. “Prison wouldn’t have changed him. You need to know that.”

Chin nodded softly, “He wants me to look after Sara.”

“Just because he had a kid, did not make him a father.” Steve implored, man he had the best example at home. “You and I both know the best thing for the kid is that Gabriel is put into the ground. At least now she’s got the chance at a normal life.”

Chin let out a breath and the two friends shared a look. “Am I ready to be a Dad?”

Steve almost laughed at that question, if the mood hadn’t been so somber. “Come on man, that question definitely needs a beer or two.”

Steve pulled him Chin up, directing him over to where Romy was waiting for them.

 ——xx——xx——

Sitting on the beach in the adirondack chairs. Chin repeated his question again.

“I don’t know man.” Steve stretched out his legs. “I’m telling you I wasn’t ready. I don’t know if I’ll ever be.”

Chin scoffed, Steve was a great Dad to Nahele, and he said so.

“I mean the kid makes it easy.” Steve turned around, watching Romy behind them on the lanai, reading a book. Chin followed his line of sight and saw the smile blooming on his friends face. “And I’ve got Romy.” Steve looked over at Chin “I wouldn’t give it up for anything.”

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

Steve let his backpack fall when he saw Romy at his gate, with one big swoop she was in his arms. He had not anticipated being gone for three day, but when getting shipped to a CIA black site, you really weren’t in charge.

Romy’s arms looped around his middle, her face burying in his neck. She had missed him, and she’d be lying if she said that she hadn’t worried about him. Silly she knew, he was a bloody Navy Seal, he could take care of himself. God, needing to tell Nahele that she didn’t knew when his Dad was going to be back, was not something she wanted to ever do again. Gathering herself for one more moment in his arms, she said “I have exactly one hour before my flight leaves.” She looked up at him, her chin rested on his chest.

“Come on then, I fill you in.” They moved over into a little cafe. He waited until they had received their drinks and a little semblance of privacy before he started recounting his last couple of days “They really thought I wouldn’t figure out where I was. I mean did they think I’m stupid? The timing of the flight, all spices, saffron and cumin in the market. Our driver was speaking in Burba to his wife apologising for an argument.” Romy chuckled at that. The CIA really underestimated him at every freaking turn.

“And was it worth it, whatever was on the other side of the door?”

Steve grasp her hand lying on the table, twisting her fingers with his “Yeah.”

Romy looked at him prompting him to go on.

“It was Wo Fat’s father.”

“Fuck! What did he want?”

“He told me I’ve got my mothers eyes.”

“Steve!” Romy pinched his hand covering hers. “He did not ask you to be brought thousands of miles to compliment your eyes, did he?

“No” he shook his head still completely baffled at what had happened. “He forgave me.”

“What?” This kept blowing Romy’s mind.

“He forgave me, for killing his son. He said that his sons obsession for with revenge was his ultimate undoing.”

“So you flew all the way for that?”

“Apparently...” Steve shrugged, its not like he could make much sense out of this either.

“What else, Steve?” Romy could tell at his body language that this wasn’t all.

“He said he still loved Doris. Despite everything he still loved her. She took in his son for as long as she could and well...”

Romy rubbed her forehead, trying to gauge Steve’s reaction to all of this, especially to the mention of his mother. Doris was a sore subject in the McGarrett house, she had learned that lesson repeatedly over the last two years.

“I don’t want to talk about her anymore.” He declared resolutely.

“Sure.” There it was, she should have made a bet on his reaction. “What do you want to talk about.”

“Tell me about your week. What happened while I was gone.” Steve lifted her fingers to his lips for a quick kiss. Romy filled him on the latest office gossip, her day out with Kono, Renee and Abby, and her days with Nahele, the newest recipe they tried out and how he aced his history exam. Hearing her recount her week, hearing her weaving the picture of domesticity with Nahele, cooking with him, her pride on his good grades made him drag her up and out of the cafe.

“Steve!” Romy tried not to fall over her own feet, while she struggled to drag her work bag and carry on suitcase along. Steve pulled her in the nearest bathroom. Pushing her flush against the door, his lips attaching to her neck, making Romy arch into him. She had no idea what brought this on, but god she was not going to complain. Their bed had felt lonely and too big without him. Her hands made their way into his hair, pulling him closer to her neck, god his lips felt so good, gliding over her skin. “Oh god Steve! I missed you.”

“I missed you too.” Steve pushed her blouse out of her skirt, his hands cupping her breasts through her bra, making her breath hitch again. Her hands fumbled with his belt, lowering the zipper.

Steve’s hands abandoned her breasts, hitching her skirt up and pulling her panties to the side in one swift move. “You’re so wet already.” He groaned against her mouth, as his fingers made contact with Romy’s wet core. His tongue swept across her bottom lip demanding entrance, tangling with hers.

“Been wet since the moment I saw you today. Please, Steve.” Romy begged, nibbling his jaw trying to get Steve moving. He moaned at Romy’s words and her wetness spreading over his fingers. She was as ready as he was. Romy couldn’t wait anymore, lifting her leg over his hip, grinding against him, making them both moan with want. She could feel his length straining against the confinement of his jeans, she lowered his zipper to release his cock, stroking him, her thumb spreading his pre cum across its head. Steve’s forehead fell to her shoulder with a thud “Fuck Romy! Please.”

They kissed hungrily, their teeth clashing, as Steve pulled her underwear aside once more, and Romy gripped his cock and guided him into her. Their foreheads rested against each other’s, both of them breathing heavily. This - this feeling was everything. The first thrust was delicious always, pulling a long moan out of Romy, Steve slanted his lips over hers quickly. As much as he loved hearing her, they didn’t need to attract any attention. His thrusts became faster, driving them both to their highs.

“God I love you. You feel so good!” Romy rambled her head hitting the door with a soft thud.

“I love you too, wife.” Steve grabbed her leg, pulling it higher on his waist, deepening the angle.

“I’m so close, Steve. Make me cum, please.” Romy whined, her head falling forward, lips attaching to his neck again. Her fingers making their way down to her clit, rubbing tight circles, right above it, making her quiver around Steve.

“Shit, gorgeous. You’re squeezing me just right. You close? I’m gonna cum soon.” His fingers digging into the soft flesh of Romy’s upper thighs, sure to be leaving some bruises behind.

Romy pressed her thumb to her clit, right at the same time as Steve twisted his hips, making her climax hard. She was squeezing him and her hands scraping along his back and scalp pushing him over the edge.

Their breath intermingled for a second, and Steve put Romy down gently. He pushed her hair out of her face, dropping little kisses all over her face., as they came down from their highs.

“I love you.”

They helped each other to clean up and righten their clothes, soft touches and kisses accompanied it.

“Not that I’m complaining” Romy tried to smooth the wrinkles of his shirt. “but what brought this on?”

“Glad to hear that I can still perform my husbandly duties without complain.” Steve teased, turning earnest a moment later. “Just you, being you. There is never a moment you’re not turning me on.”

Steve accompanied Romy to the gate, hands intertwined as he pulled her suitcase behind them. He didn’t want to let her go, and he was glad that Romy felt the same way. She finally let herself out of his hold “I’ll see you in two days. Try not to get killed.” She popped onto her toes, kissing him chastely, acutely aware of the audience around them.

“No promises.” he mumbled against her lips. “Now, go before I’ll take you back home.”

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

“Dad! Dad! Dad!” Shouting from the hallway interrupted Steve’s recount of Morocco  to Danny. They both looked up, seeing Nahele racing through the palace straight into his office, chased by one of the guards on duty.

Nahele burst into his office followed by the guard. “Sorry Commander, he went just right by my desk.” He apologised.

“That’s ok, he’s my son. I got it, Chief.”

“Nahele what’s wrong?”

“He’s dead!”

“Who’s dead?” All his alarm bells went off ringing.

“You need to come with me, please. Now, Dad.” Nahele grabbed Steve’s arm pulling him out of the office.

“Nahele, talk to me what’s going on.”

“Makai - he’s dead.”

 ——xx——xx——

Steve had driven them over to Max, he had left Nahele in the hallway as he went in to get all the details from his friend.

Seeing Nahele crying killed something inside of Steve, as he sat next to his son, holding him closely. He wished Romy was here, she knew how she could make this better. What to say and especially how to say it. He had the emotional range of a teaspoon, according to Romy, he did not want to mess this up.

“He was passed out. He wasn’t moving.” Nahele sniffled and Steve tightened his hold around him, trying to make him feel better somehow. “I had no idea Makai was doing drugs. He was my friend. I just don’t know...”

“You remember when I told I was never gonna let anyone hurt you?

I made the same promise to the people of HAwaii, when I put this badge on. These sons of bitches who are selling this stuff, might not know this yet, but I am a man of my word.”

 ——xx——xx——

Steve’s blood was boiling, what the fuck happened on his island. This Meth epidemic was killing kids. Those drug dealers didn’t know it yet, but he was going to be their worst nightmare. Finding the dealer was not that difficult, and it only took smashing the guys car and threatening lifelong prison sentence for him  to roll on the pilot. The pilot left the Palace with a broken arm, curtesy of Steve and they managed to secure the undercover gig with Dae Won, the man behind the operation.

 ——xx——xx——

"We got a bogey at 8 o'clock." Danny announced after checking the radar. The three of them turning to the left, watching the helicopter approaching.

"Yeah I got him."

"DEA?" Dae Won asked.

"I don't know. No markings."

"Take her down just in case we have to dump," Dae Won turned around and placed a tracker on his drugs, so he’d be able to find it later again.

Steve had taken off his glasses, trying to combat the glint that came from the helicopter, before he could do anything else, the first bullet hit the plane.

“Down!” He and Danny shouted at the same time.  It didn’t help, the bullets were flying wildly through the cockpit and suddenly he jerked forward, he could feel how he  got hit twice in rapid succession. Warm blood spreading over his abdomen, was the last thing he felt before he slumped forward.

“Buddy! Buddy!” Danny’s voice sounded incredible far away and he groaned in pain as he was forcefully pushed back into his seat. “Oh no. Buddy.” the tone in Danny’s voice told him everything he needed to know about his injuries. He heard Danny’s attempt to get help "Mayday Mayday," then everything went black.

The next thing he felt was a slap to his shoulder, he moaned in pain, trying to swat away the offending hand. "Stay awake, buddy, stay awake."

He could hear Danny speaking into the radio "Switching to channel 17." It sounded like he was underwater. Fuck everything hurts!

"You're gonna be alright buddy, just hang in there."

Was Danny kidding him, didn’t he realise how serious his injuries were. "I'm dying Danny."

“No you are not! You are not dying on my watch.” Steve wanted to chuckle, leave it to Danny to make his final moments about him.

"Hey, Steve, I know you've never been any good at listening to me, but now you've got not choice. You stubborn son of a bitch, do not die!" Danny shouted at him, dammit it was so hard to concentrate or to come up with a clever retort. "Hey, listen to me. Do not die, okay? I'm not landing this thing for you to die on me. You understand? Huh? Good. Good."

“I’m gonna die...” he gurgled out.

“No you’re not gonna die.” Danny pressed his hand to his wound, making him flinch in pain.

“Tell...Tell Romy...” he needed to get this out, she needed to know. She needed to know how happy she made him. How he never thought he could have the relationship they had. That she made him a better man, that she made him a father, when he thought he was condemned to be just Uncle Steve forever. His wife, his best friend, his soulmate! He’d never see her pregnant, glowing while she grew a life they both made. He wouldn’t see her grow old, teasing her about her first grey hair. How they would hold hands, even when they were old and wrinkled.

“No don’t you dare. You are not gonna die.” Danny was panicking. “You will tell her yourself. Not that she’ll forgive you getting shot, but hey you deserve to be yelled at once in a while.”

Oh yeah, she’d yell at him and then she’d kiss him. The last thing he saw was her face, the way her eyes crinkled when she smiled. How her red hair reflected the sun and the freckles were most pronounced on her shoulder. He could feel her body against his, arching up against him, her soft lips covering his in a wonderful kiss. He closed his eyes - he was home.

 ——xx——xx—— 

Romy was disembarking the plane, turning on her phone, checking it periodically while making her way through the airport. She hated that she was gone exactly those days when her son needed her. It was already 7pm, she was tired from a long two days in negotiations. She wanted a hot shower, a meal and a glass filled to the brim with alcoholic beverage. If she could work in a hug from her son and some sex, cuddles and kisses from her man, she’d be a happy woman indeed. Steve had said he’d message if he couldn’t pick her up. She was waiting in line for a taxi when her phone pinged. Romy smiled, as she saw a voicemail from Nahele.

“I’m at the hospital. Dad is hurt... I think....they won’t tell me anything. Please come home. Please, please, please. Mama, I need you.”

Chapter 29: Health & Strength

Summary:

Summary: Nahele just needs his Mom...Steve is shot...and Romy does something she hasn’t done in years
Warnings: Gunshots, Hospital stays
Episode: Season 6 - Episode 25

Notes:

Hello lovelies, 
We reached the final episode of season 6. My soundtrack for writing this piece was Stand by Me from Bootstraps, Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol and The Story by Brandi Carlile.
Share your thoughts - I love to hear from you.
Enjoy xx 

Chapter Text

 ——xx——xx—— 

The ringing landline almost toppled Nahele off the lounger in the garden, the landline never rings. He checked his phone, it was way too early for a call from Romy’s grandma in Germany.

“Hello.”

“I’m looking for Romy Erhardt - McGarrett.”

“She ain’t home right now. You want to leave a message?”

“Is there any other way to contact her? It is urgent. It’s about Lieutenant Commander McGarrett.”

“My Dad?”

He could hear the woman at the other end curse softly. “Commander McGarrett sustained injuries and has been admitted to Tripler Medical Center 45 minutes ago. We are prepping him for surgery right now. Do you have any other phone number we can reach your M...”

Nahele did not let her finish, racing out of the house to his car, the phone forgotten on the dining room table. He parked the Marquis carefully in front of the pink hospital, just like had been driving the whole 30 minutes from home. Not too fast, not too slow, setting indicators, keeping his distance. The voice of Steve always in the back of his head ‘You can’t control anybody else’s driving, but you can control your own.’ As soon as he got out of his car, though, all bets were off. Nahele dashed through the automatic doors and almost fell over the welcome desk in his haste. The woman behind the counter looked at him unimpressed, he had managed to knock over some papers that now floated to the ground.

“Can I help you?”

It took him a moment to gather himself to such a point that he wasn’t only stammering out his Dad’s name, but actually able to tell the nurse that someone called at home. The nurse tapped some of the details Nahele gave her into her computer. “He’s currently in surgery.”

“I know that already.” Nahele was getting desperate, why wouldn’t they give him any details. He needed to know. How was he supposed to call Romy and not being able to tell her anything.

“Nahele” the nurse adopted a calm tone, that only managed to make Nahele more agitated “You are underage, I can’t give you anymore details for the time being until your mother arrives or the other Emergency Contact on your Dad’s file - Daniel Williams. Why don’t you go up on the surgical floor in the waiting room, we will find you.”

Nahele stared at her, was this woman for real? He should just wait somewhere? He didn’t know what to do. Should he call Danny? Where were the others in any case? Shouldn’t they have his Dad’s back? Protect him, like he protected them every single day? He wanted Romy. She would make that stupid nurse tell them what was going on. She would get him to see Steve. She’d make everything better.

He wanted his Mom.

With shaky hands he picked her number from his favourites and dialled, it went straight to voicemail, she’d never send him to voicemail never. Listening to her greeting he waited for the beep.

“I’m at the hospital. Dad is hurt... I think....they won’t tell me anything. Please come home. Please, please, please. Mama, I need you.”

He hung up when he heard a commotion in the entry way, seeing the rest of 5-0 piling into the ER. Danny looked worse for wear, he held his ribs carefully, just like Romy did after her car accident. He rushed over to them.

“Nahele.”

“Buddy!” They were all startled by the teenagers appearance at the hospital.

“What are you doing here?” Chin asked.

“They called at home and told me Dad was here.” Nahele wiped his nose roughly with the back of his hand. They all levelled a hard look at the nursing staff behind the desk. Who in their right mind would tell a teenager that?

“Hey Doc what’s going on?” Danny directed his attention from Nahele to the doctor in front of them.

“I’m afraid its not good news.” The surgeon told them  “Commander McGarrett has suffered devastating trauma to his liver, a bullet has cut it in multiple fragments making the entire organ inoperable. If he doesn’t receive a liver in the next few hours, he will die.”

“No!” Nahele whimpered, Chin clasped his shoulder in what he hoped was a comforting gesture, while the doctor continued to explain, how they didn’t have enough time to find a donor on the island or mainland. How they needed to find someone now.

“I’m in.” Lou said straight away, with Chin and Kono following suit.

“We can definitely run some tests and determine which if any of you are the correct tissue and blood match...”

Danny cut the doctor off mid sentence. “I can save everybody some time. Ahem, Steve and I have the same blood type. So just ahem, just use mine.”

“Ok then.” The doctor nodded. “Let’s get you admitted and the ball rolling.” He checked his notes once more “Oh and we still weren’t able to get a hold of his w...”

“I called my Mom” Nahele interrupted him “I think she’s just on a plane...I keep calling.”

The doctor nodded “Detective, if you want to come with me.”

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

Nahele’s voicemail had Romy in a frenzy. She rushed to nearest cab her suitcase trailing behind her hazardously. She threw herself into the taxi and gave her home address. She needed to get home as soon as possible.

Her phone beeped again, showing another voicemail, this time from Chin. “Romy, I know Nahele has called you already. Steve’s been shot.” In that moment she blacked out a little bit “you need to get to Tripler right now. Romy, its serious. He needs a new liver. They are prepping everything, but get here as soon as you can.”

“Stop!” She shouted and the cab driver hit the brakes hard, honking around them ensued.

“What the fuck lady!” The cab driver turned around to her furiously.

“Sorry...sorry!” Romy gripped her phone like a lifeline “you need to head to Tripler”

The cabbie nodded at her through the rear view mirror. “As fast as you can please.” She whispered.

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

She had called Chin from the cab again, trying to understand what had actually happened. Steve and Danny infiltrating a freaking drug ring, Steve getting shot and Danny needing to emergency land into the waiting room. She took a deep breath!

They didn’t need her to freak out, they needed her to be strong. Kono, Chin and Lou were standing together talking quietly. Grace was sitting in one chair, while Nahele paced. The whole Ohana had congregated in the waiting room, from Max and Jerry to Kamekona and Flippa, even Duke and Pua were here.

Romy let her suitcase go with a thud, everyone’s eyes moved to her. Seeing them all, just drove home the situation. There was no Steve to draw her into a hug and kiss her breathless. No Danny who’d slung his arm around her shoulders, rubbing her head with his knuckles.

 

“Mama” Nahele had stopped his pacing the moment he had heard her suitcase thud.

“Hey Kiddo.” She greeted him softly, and the next thing she knew he had flung himself into her arms. He was a bit taller than her now, his growth spurts just finished the other month.  Romy pulled his head on her shoulder, and she could feel his tears on her neck, slowly she started to sway and to hum softly, trying to give her baby comfort. “It’s all gonna be ok.” She whispered like a mantra into his hair. She had no idea if she’s lying to her son, but god anything to make him feel better.

A pull to her T-shirt brought her out of the little trance she was in and she came to face with Grace.

“Auntie Romy.” The 13 year old bit her lip, before two more tears slipped down her face.

“Oh sweet girl.” Romy sighed and let go of Nahele with one arm and pulled Grace close. Romy allowed herself a couple of minutes before she let both of them out of her embrace, her hands lingering on each of the kids faces “Now, I want you to listen to me. Your Dad’s are going to be fine. They are both going to be fine.” The two teenagers looked at each other, a little unsure “And you know why, because the two of them are way too stubborn to be anything else.” Romy said with conviction “Ok, I think all of us could use some sustenance” She almost disappeared into her handbag getting out her wallet. She tried to keep the smile as she handed it over to Nahele “Could you go down to the cafeteria and get us some coffee and food, as sugary and bad for you as you can possible find.” She managed a small grin at the two of them.

“But Danno doesn’t like it when we eat...” Grace  started.

“Well then, he can get out of surgery and tell me off.” Romy winked at Grace and the girl suppressed a smile.

She watched as the two kids made their out of the waiting room, and then stepped over to Kono, Lou and Chin.

“Tell me.” She hated how desperate she sounded.

“One of the bullets hit his liver. He lost a lot of blood” Romy nodded urging Kono to go on. “The bullet fragmented his liver, making it inoperable. Danny’s a match, luckily they could start the surgery straight away.” Chin continued quietly.

Closing her eyes Romy took a deep breath.

“You ok?” Lou said worriedly, putting a steadying arm around her, as Romy started to sway softly.

“Yeah.” She shot him a grateful smile. “What’s happening right now?”

“Both are in surgery for about an hour now.”

“Ok. Ok.” Romy rubbed the space between her eyebrows, she was exhausted trying to sort all the information that had been barrelling onto her. “Have they told us when to expect any news?”

“They said they’d update us once they were able to tell us more.” Chin’s hand copying her gesture. “No timeline though.”

“You guys ok? You need anything?” Romy grasped Kono’s hand and gave her a gentle squeeze. “I send the kids on a food scavenger hunt.”

“Thank god.” Lou let out. He still hadn’t had any coffee since that machine ate his money and refused to serve him.

“Not exactly the welcome you expected, huh?” Chin said wryly.

“Nope, definitely not. The kiddo was supposed to be at friends tonight, we had an evening of just...”

“Ugh.” it came from the three of them unison. “Too much information there...”

“Yeah, I don’t really want to imagine you and McGarrett.” Lou pulled a face.

“Well, we are quite something.” Romy quipped back.

“No, please don’t elaborate.” Kono begged.

“Ok. Ok” Romy leaned against her friends arm and Kono slung it around her waist squeezing her affectionately. “Do you need anything else? It must have been a hell of a day.”

“We’re alright.” Chin said quietly.

“Have you managed to reach Rachel?” Romy’s voice was quiet. No one had mentioned Grace’s mother yet. The three of them shook their heads.

“We’ve tried, but she didn’t pick up and we didn’t want Grace to try. It’s not something she should need to tell her Mom.” Kono elaborated “I’ll keep trying.”

“I called Renee,” Lou said quietly. “She’ll be by in the morning, take the kids to ours. She’s asking if you need anything else right now?”

Romy smiled at her thoughtful friend. “No, her looking after Nahele is everything.”

“Renee’ll take good care of them.” Lou squeezed Romy’s shoulder.

“Thank you.”

Nahele and Grace came back from their sugary treasure hunt successfully. Distributing the food and coffee between some very grateful friends, they settled in for a long night of waiting.

Romy tried to get Nahele to stop pacing and succeeded for all about 5 minutes. She herself spend the night bouncing around, organising blankets, calling Rachel and Mary, checking in at the nurses station.

“Miss, this is the 5th time you are checking in. These things take their time.” The nurse was trying to be patient with her she knew it, but Romy couldn’t help herself.

“I’m sorry.” She shook her head “It’s just, I haven’t been home, I was on a business trip and they called....and then my son...he left a voicemail.” A shuddered breath “I just need to know....”

The nurse looked around “Ok, Come with me.” She grabbed Romy’s hand pulled her along the corridor, swiped her pass against a locked door and then stopped abruptly in front of a glass window.

Behind the glass laid Steve, her Steve. Romy’s hand flew to her mouth. Oh god was that really him? He was so still, so pale. Where did his tan go?

“You see, the monitor over there?”

She nodded barely, tears starting to blur her vision.

“It shows the BP, oxygen and pulse. And they’re looking good, strong. It’s a good sign. From what I can tell from here it’s all going ok for the moment.”

Romy nodded again.

“I can give you 5 minutes but then we need to go back.”

“Thank you” she whispered and the kind nurse stepped back to give her some privacy.

Romy focused on his face, his beautiful face. Slowly her hand made its way from her mouth to the window in front of her and she pressed it against.

Willing some strength into Steve, to not give up, to hold on. For her, for Nahele, for their Ohana.

‘You can’t die on me Steve. You promised me, till the end of my days not yours. We said we were going to show Nahele the world together. You can’t just make me a Mum and then try to leave me. I won’t let you. I need you. Please Steve, please. I love you so much.’ Then she did something she hadn’t done in years. ‘Lord give him health and strength. We’ll steal the rest.’ She prayed.

A hand on her shoulder startled Romy out of her thoughts. “We need to go.”

With one last glance at him through the window and a heavy heart Romy let the nurse accompany her back to the waiting room.

 

Kono looked up worriedly when Romy stood next to her. Her friend didn’t say anything just squeezed her hand before adjusting the blanket covering Kono’s legs.  Slowly she made her way around the room. Giving a hug to Nahele and pacing with him. Gently pushing some hair out of Grace’s face. Readjusting Chin’s chair so his feet wouldn’t topple off. She just couldn’t sit still herself. The waiting, the unknown was driving her insane. How long could this surgery still take? How long till they knew? Did she need to worry? Was this normal, that it took so long. All these questions buzzing around in her head, making her itch. The skin around her elbow was completely red from her nervously picking at it.

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

The sun slowly rose and barely reached into the waiting room, when the doctor stepped in and announced  “They are gonna be ok.”

A sigh of relief seeped through the room, making them jump up and reach for the nearest person to hug.

Romy took a huge breath, nodding gratefully at the doctor over Nahele’s head, who’d tackled her in a hug.

“They are in recovery right now and will be moved into the ICU shortly.” The all nodded at that. “You can go see them now, but in ICU only one person is allowed in with each of them.” The surgeon told them, trying to be polite about kicking them out. “Let me bring you in.” All of them got up and followed the doctor. Everyone except Romy.

“Mama, you coming?” Nahele turned around.

“I’ll be there in just a second. Go on in.” He didn’t like it but he wanted to see Steve too badly.

The moment the door closed behind all of them Romy slowly sank down the wall behind. She tried to breath, but everything just swam in front of her eyes.

Lou stepped back out of the bathroom, he needed a second to ground himself before going to see the two and stopped short when he spotted Romy trying to breath on the floor.

“Hey girl.” He crouched in front of her. Trying to catch her eye but Romy wouldn’t react , so he settled with grasping her hands from her face.

“It’s ok Romy, it’s ok!” He tried to sound soothing like he would have with Samantha. Her breath hitched several times dangerously and he hoped she was not going to hyperventilate. Honestly she had him worried before - so efficient, constantly checking in on all of them, distributing hugs and coffee.

He didn’t know for how long they were crouching on the floor, when she calmed down slightly.

“They are fine.” He finally managed to understand from her rambling “He’s ok. He’s going to be ok.”

“Yes, they are.” Lou smiles at her and Romy managed to get breathing more under control and returned his smile.

“Come on, let’s go see the two idiots.” He stood up and helped Romy to rise as well.

“Ro...Mam?” Nahele stood in the doorway, completely unsure what just happened.

“Shit!” That was what Romy wanted to avoid, scaring him even further. “‘Hele, they both still in recovery?” She quickly pressed the heels of her hands into her eyes. Nahele nodded and Romy pulled him into a one and hug, pressing a kiss to his temple “Let’s go see them then.”

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

Romy had send Nahele and Grace under much prostetation from the teenagers home with Renee. It had taken all of her strength and Mom - Stare in corralling the kids out of the hospital and into Renee’s care, promising to call them as soon as there were news or their Dad’s were moved out of the ICU. It took almost as much convincing to get the other adults  out of the hospital as well, in the end the thought of their own beds won out and they left Romy in the hospital on her own.

The nurse had told her that Steve had woken up briefly when they wheeled him from recovery to ICU. “He fell right back to sleep, but he asked after you.”

“Thanks. When do you think they wake up?”

“We expect Detective Williams to be waking up soon, his was a much easier and quicker surgery. Your husband will take a bit longer. The additional injuries he’d sustained, were substantial.” The nurse stopped in front of two doors. “So which one do you want to see first?”

 

Romy stepped into the room, sliding the door close behind her. She stood there, simply watching him. Her husband really was the most beautiful thing she’d ever seen. The steady beeping of the monitors attached to him, was her new favourite song. She wished she could record it, to play over and over again.

Steve’s eyes were still closed, his hands resting on top of the sheets. Romy crossed over to him quickly, and linked her fingers with his, giving him a gentle squeeze.

After an hour of watching Steve’s face for any sign of waking up or twinge of discomfort, Romy made her way into Danny’s room.

She had not sat longer than 10 minutes when her eyes started to become incredible heavy, the last 24 hours finally catching up with her.

Slowly Danny came to it, the light was incredible bright in his room and damn he felt like he got hit by a truck. A weight against his side made him look down. Red locks spread over his arm.

“Hey” he cleared his throat. “Hey.” He tried again, moving his arm a little bit.

She lifted her head slowly, pushing her hair out of her face. A smile forming on Romy’s face. “Good Morning.” She fumbled with her glasses for second, then she sat up properly, reaching for a glass with a straw holding it to him. “Drink.”

Danny took greedily some sips.

“Not that I don’t appreciate seeing you first thing waking up, but shouldn’t you be asleep at someone else’s bedside?”

Romy smiled at him, smoothing his hair back, she knew how precious he was about his hair “No, I’m at the bedside that I need to be.”

“Did I manage to seduce you away from the Neanderthal during surgery?”

“No.” Romy shook her head “But you saved his life.”

“Dammit. I should have just let him die and swoop in with you.” Danny lamented.

“Yeah missed your chance.” Romy giggled at the ridiculousness of their conversation. “Danny, thank you.” The banter disappearing out of the room instantly, Romy’s hand covering her mouth as she tried to hold in the tears. “I can never thank you enough.” She whimpered through her tears.

“Hey, stop it. Stop it.” Danny tried to sit up, but couldn’t, his core muscles weak due to the surgery, he pulled Romy closer to the bed instead, making her perch on his side. “You don’t need to thank me. He’s my brother. Now stop those tears, or he’s gonna be real mad that I made you cry.” he brushed some tears from her cheek.

“You gave him part of your liver, he’s not allowed to be mad at you for at least 6 months.” Romy hiccuped.

“You gonna tell him that?” Danny asked her with a raised eyebrow.

“He almost died. He owes me.”

 

They let her have a bit more time with Danny before throwing her out to complete more tests. Romy moved back to Steve’s room, settling back down in the chair next to him.

A soft moan from the bed startled her upright. “Hey.” Romy wiped self consciously st her cheeks, trying to hide the tear tracks.

“Don’t cry.” Steve croaked. His eyes still half closed, but he couldn’t tear his gaze away.

“It’s okay. I’m all cried out.”

“Liar.” Even half asleep and drugged all the way to Sunday, he saw right through her.

“I love you.” Romy pushed herself halfway out of the chair and kissed his forehead. “You want a drink?”

Steve nodded, and drank from the straw Romy pushed underneath his lips. “Thanks.” His voice raw from being intubated for hours.

He couldn’t believe how tired that made him, but he didn’t want to go to sleep, he wanted to look at her. Really look at her.  He thought he would never see her again. “Go back to sleep.” Romy’s voice soft, she stroke his hair carefully, trying not to tangle his oxygen line. Steve shook his head stubbornly.

“Ill be here when you wake up.”

“Promise?”

“I promise.” Romy watched him close his eyes and his breathing evening out. Grasping his hand in her other, she continued combing through his hair. She never thought she’d be in this position, how silly of her actually. He had such a dangerous job, but Steve always seemed so invincible. It was still hard to wrap her head around it.

She could have lost him.

Romy had lost the sense of time, staring at him sleeping. She had pulled out her book from her handbag and read out loud, trying to fill the room with something else than the beeping from all the machines. Movement from the bed interrupted her little story time. “Steve?” Romy leaned forward her book forgotten next to her.

“Hey.” Steve grinned at her, feeling much better than the first time he woke up. Maybe the morphine finally did it’s job. “What a sight to wake up to.” He grinned at her stupidly.

Relief flooded Romy. He was awake, talking. She slapped his shoulder “How dare you! I told you not to get shot before I left.”

“Gorgeous, you told me not to die.” Steve shrugged his shoulder carefully. “And I didn’t.”

“Yes, but only because Danny gave you a part of his liver.”

“Will you do something for me?” He ignored her caveat about Danny.

“Anything.” Relief palpable in her voice.

“Come here.” Steve tugged at her arm.

“What?” Romy resisted slightly. “Definitely not!”

“You said anything.” Steve pouted. “Lie with me.”

“You just had surgery. I don’t want to hurt you.” Romy couldn’t stomach that, hurting him when all she wanted was for him to be better. To leap buildings again.

“Please.”

“Steve.”

“Romy.”

She sighed and looked at Steve. The only thing he wanted to do was to yank her in his arms and kiss the hell out of her. But fuck, he was so weak. His body had never betrayed him so much as in this moment.

“You just had an organ transplant.” How could he suggest this, didnt he know how close he came.

“Exactly, please lie with me. I need you.”

Romy smiled tearily, she needed him too. “One wince and I’m back in the chair.”

“Deal.”

Carefully she adjusted the tubes and wires and settled down against his side, her head coming to rest on his shoulder. Her hand fluttering over his side, unsure where to put it. Steve took her left hand, intertwining their fingers and settled it gently against his stomach.

“I almost lost you.” She whispered against his skin.

“I’m right here. You not getting rid of me that easily, gorgeous. We’re bound for life.” Steve carded his hand through her hair, looping one of her locks around his finger. She arched up to him kissing his lips chastely, a smile curving on her face when they separated.

Steve stared at her “Just like this.”

“What?” She leaned up on her elbow, looking down at him, her other hand stroking his cheek.

“You, kissing me, stretching up against me, was the last thing I saw before everything went black.”

Romy closed her eyes, her thumb stilled at against his skin, unsure what to say she blurted out the first thing coming to her mind. “I should have never let you read Harry Potter.”

They managed to nod off for a little bit. Steve couldn’t say for how long, there was no clock anywhere in his eye sight, but something woke him. His head rolled away from Romy and spotted a nurse adjusting some tubes. She looked at him disapprovingly. Steve could only about hold in the snort, he wasn’t happy to be shot either. Then he noticed her gaze wasn’t on him but on Romy.

“This is not how visits in the ICU usually go, Commander McGarrett.”

“You really going to kick out my wife?” Steve retorted. The eye roll he got in return was worth it.

“I would be wasting my breath wouldn’t I?”

He shrugged sheepishly, trying not to wake up Romy in the process.

“It’s not like we could keep her away while you were in surgery.” The nurse made some notes on a spreadsheet.

“What do you mean?”

“She talked her way onto the surgery floor, made another nurse bring her to the theatre to watch over you.” The bite had left her voice.

Steve turned back to Romy, his lips pressed against her hairline. Of course she would have not let him be alone.

“Now as cavity inducing this whole display is, Commander. We’ll need to do some tests and for that I do need Mrs McGarrett off the bed.”

“Ms Erhardt - McGarrett, or she’ll get mad.”

The nurse frowned at him.

“She’s German” Steve offered as an explanation “I don’t understand, I just go with the flow.”

That raised a smile on the nurses face, she patted his leg “This is the secret to any long term relationship.”

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

“I should have never let you read Harry Potter.” Romy moaned and face palmed herself. “I mean he just admitted that the last thing he thought of before he thought he died was me and I say that!” She was furious with herself.

“Oh come on.” Kono giggled on the other end of the line. “Give yourself a break.”

“Yeah” Renee chimed in “Its been a crazy 24 hours. What did Steve say?”

“At least I didn’t have a chat with Dumbledore while I was out.” She imitated Steve’s voice spot on, making her friends giggle even more. “And then he fell asleep again.”

“You two are dorks.” Renee declared. “What are you doing now?”

Romy stretched and looked at her watch how can it be 7pm again? “Waiting for Steve and Danny getting their tests done.” She leaned back against the wall, trying to straighten out her back.

“Why don’t you go home. Get some proper sleep?” Kono suggested, but Romy shook her head at this.

“Compromise.” Renee negotiated with teenagers on a daily basis, if one of them could make Romy budge it was her. “Why doesn’t Kono take over for an hour or two. I’ll pick you up, drive you home. You can have a shower and eat something and then I’ll drive you back to the hospital.”

Romy cocked her head to the side, contemplating, before she could say anything Renee added “And Lou will drive Grace and Nahele over to the hospital so you can have a little family time. Sounds good?”

She knew when she was beat and nodded her agreement.

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

It was weird being in her house, it was too quiet and even the quiet was too loud. It somehow buzzed through the rooms, putting Romy on edge. She jerked when Renee stepped next to her.

“Sorry.” Her friend apologised. “Why don’t you go upstairs have a shower and I’ll see what I can scrounge up for a snack.”

Romy nodded “Yeah.”

Renee was almost in the kitchen when she turned around and saw Romy still standing in the open front door. “Romy?” She called out.

She rubbed her face, trying to hide a yawn. “Upstairs. Shower. Snack.” With heavy steps she made her way up the stairs, her suitcase dropped in the sunroom. Warily she she turned on the light in the bathroom. Has it really been only 72 hours, since Steve and her fucked in the airport bathroom? He really got shot didn’t he? She did not dream this, right?

Fuck!

Romy stepped under the shower spray, letting the water wash away the last day. That was when it her, everything that happened, Steve laying prone and open on that operating table. Nahele’s and Grace’s faces. Danny’s sacrifice. Every single emotion that she managed to push down barrelled through her. A huge hiccup escaped her, followed by a sob, and once she started she couldn’t stop anymore.

 

“Romy.” Renee knocked on the bathroom door again. “Romy can I come in?”

She opened the bathroom door and what she saw broke her heart. Her friend, her beautiful strong friend, huddled on the bottom of the shower in tears.

Renee grabbed a towel from the hook behind the door and stepped in the shower. She turned off the water and knelt down next to Romy, wrapping her into the towel and her arms.

“Oh sweetheart. Let it out. Let it all out.”

“I can’t loose him, Renee. I can’t.” Romy sobbed, her head buried in her hands.

“He survived. Steve is going to be fine. You haven’t lost him.” Renee pulled her even closer, drenching herself completely.

“No, you don’t understand.” Romy huddled closer, her knees tightly pulled to her chest. “I broke every rule for him. I literally moved to the other side of the world. I mean I went completely broke for him. But it didn’t matter. Not to me and not to him. He makes me feel like no one ever did before, like he really sees me. I can’t...I can’t live without him. This all, this all won’t mean anything if he isn’t here.”

Renee did not know how to answer, she understood though. When Lou left her and the kids alone in the jungle and she heard that gun shot, she wanted to crumble just like Romy did now.

“Oh fuck, I’m such a mess.” Romy hiccuped.

“You are not a mess. You’ve been holding it together for way too long. You’re allowed to loose it.” Renee got up, taking Romy with her. “Let’s get out of the shower.” She leaned Romy against the sink, wrapping the towel tightly around her friend, before she started to massage her face cream into Romy’s face. Trying to be methodical, trying to get Romy to relax.

“It’s really silly, isn’t it.” Romy continued “I think he’s the only one that really knows who I am, who knows almost every story about me, that kinda made me who I am today. This whole thing means absolutely nothing without him.”

“I understand.” Renee finished her little massage and plugged the hair dryer in. “None of this matters if you can’t tell him at the end of the day. You were made for each other.”

The two friends shared a smile in the mirror, glad that the other understood.

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

Romy knew she was running late, the others must be already at the hospital. It was her first day back in the office, since Steve got shot and while she had worked from the hospital, her desk had still be overflowing. Today marked the one week anniversary of the ordeal, and while the Steve and Danny were no longer in the ICU, leaving the hospital if only for small amounts of time left Romy in a state of panic. Infections, fever and Steve’s body rejecting the liver were on a constant rotation for her overactive imagination. The balloons were tangling up above her and the flowers in her hand started to let their heads hang a little bit, but this was the best she could do for now. Their room had started to look like a gift shop, well on Steve’s side at least, so she felt Danny was due some balloons of his own.

She could hear them from outside of the room already, the guys were reading some of the get well cards aloud and seemed to be having a grand time.

One after another they filed out of the hospital room, greeting her with a kiss to the cheek. “Will we see you at RumFire, Romy?” Max enquired.

“Sure, Max. I’ll be there in a bit.” Romy confirmed.

Nahele hugged her quickly “Hi Mama.”

Romy could not hide the smile spreading over her face, he had not taken it back since he left her the voicemail. She could not describe the feeling that spread through her entire body whenever he called her that. It was something that she never ever want to miss in her life again. She was his Mom and that he called her Mama, was even more special than she could ever put into words.

“Hi Nahele.” She kissed his cheek, even if he tried to dodge it. A mother’s prerogative, so sue her.

“Is it ok if I join you all at RumFire?” He looked at her pleadingly.

“Of course, I’ll see you there.” Her eyes searching for Kono, who gave her a nod. Nahele’d be driving with her and be under her supervision until Romy joined them.

“I’ll see you guys later.” She called out to the rest of them. Romy opened the door to the hospital room and landed straight in an argument between Steve and Danny.

“Whose idea it was, to have me share a room with you to speed up my recovery is an complete idiot.” Danny grumbled.

Romy snorted “That idiot would be me.” She said as greeting.

Steve smiled at her, he had missed her so much today. How did he usually survive being separated from her for a full day, he had no idea.

“Now I’m seriously considering taking these ones back.” Romy gestured to the balloons in her hand.

“Are these for me?” Danny asked. “Unbelievable” her muttered at Romy’s nod. “I finally get gifts.”

“Hey! Why does he get gifts and I don’t?” Steve complained.

“You got his liver already. Be grateful.” Romy sassed right back.

“Finally somebody who acknowledges my sacrifice.” Danny gloated.

Steve rolled his eyes “You realise you didn’t have to give me your liver.”

“Where were you going to get one Steve, the supermarket? Of course I had to give you my liver.”

“I’m gonna have to listen to this for the rest of my life, aren’t I? I’m gonna have to listen to this forever. This...this...this speech about the selfless sacrifice you made on my behalf.”

“No, no, no, cause Steve I am not like you. Ok. I give, without the expectation of a thanks. Right.”

“Huh.”

“And do me a favour please, try to take care of this thing, I had it for 39 years, it means a lot to me. Ok, you gonna wreck it in probably two weeks.”

“I’m not gonna wreck it.”

“What do you I know. You like getting shot at. What do I know?”

“I like getting shot at?” How dare Danny say shit like this, especially with Romy in the room. Steve got furious. “You think I chose to get shot? What about this, if I hadn’t taken those bullets for you. It would have been my liver in your body. How about that?”

“Hold on.”

“Hold on?”

“You didn’t save my life. Steve.” Danny pointed out. “You were on the wrong side of the plane when we got shot a. That’s A and B, there is zero chance, that if the roles be reserved that you’d be giving me your liver. Ok. No chance?”

“Ah? How can you say that? You saying I’m not generous enough?”

“No you’re not generous. I’ve never even have seen you taking your wallet out of your pocket. There is no way you’re going to give me one of your vital organs.”

“Oi. If this liver comes with your negative attitude. I swear to god I’m gonna cut it out myself.”

“Ok thats enough!” Romy had listened patiently to their banter, but she had reach her limit, and it turned ugly too. They were never so harsh with each other. She pulled the curtain, that separated the two beds, close vigorously.

“You do realise the curtain doesn’t block sound, right?” Steve looked at her.

“Shut up.” Her response eliciting a giggle from Danny. “The same goes to you. I mean your whole old married couple thing can be funny, but this was too much, even for me. So you’re both on a time out.”

“What!” “You can’t give us a time out. We aren’t four.”

Romy folded her arms and grinned smugly, and suddenly they were on the same page again.

“Here.” She handed Danny her old iPad. “I got you some movies and stuff.”

“Oh thank god!” Danny took it and proceeded to plug his headphones in straight away.

“More presents for him?” Steve held out his hand for Romy.

“I think you got enough already.” She gestured to massive amount of flowers and cards, while settling in on the bed with him. They exchanged soft kisses, this was as much action as Romy allowed him to engage in. He somehow seemed to conveniently forget that he had major surgery and a roommate, not the ideal situation to get frisky.

“You made me pray you know.” Romy blurted out.

“What?” Steve grinned at her. “Did my kisses make you see god?” He had never pegged her for the religious type except for her obsession with Christmas.

“Hahaha” She pinched his shoulder. “Very funny. I prayed during your surgery. I pestered the nurse for so long she took me onto the surgical wing.”

“I know.” He whispered. Romy looked up at him, her brows furrowed. “The ICU nurse told me, when she found you in my bed. Apparently no point in kicking you out if you managed to talk yourself into the Theatre.” They shred another kiss. “Didn’t think you were that religious, gorgeous.”

“Not really. I haven’t set a foot in a church except for Christmas, Weddings, Christenings or funerals. The whole religion bit is more my Mom’s wheelhouse...I’m lapsed, I guess, but you McGarrett, you made me pray.”

“What did you pray for?” Steve wanted to know. His family hadn’t been much into church either.

Romy buried her face in his shoulder. “Fishhook McCarthy. Lord, give him health and strength. We’ll steal the rest.” Romy smirked.

“We’ll steal the rest?” Steve asked

“Hell yeah.”

It took a second then it dawned on Steve. “You stole that from The West Wing!” He accused her.

Romy shrugged sheepishly. “It was the only prayer that came to me on short notice. We had just watched that episode. Seemed fitting. The love of her live had gotten shot too.”

“Are you telling me I’m the Josh to your Donna?” Steve kissed the top of Romy’s head.

Chapter 30: Holiday is over

Summary:

Summary: A Serial Killer killing Serial Killers...Steve is not listening to any Post Op rules...the past does not always stay in the past for Romy
Warnings: Fighting, serial killers, fluff
Episode: Season 7 - Episode 1

Notes:

Hello lovelies, 
I hope you had a wonderful weekend. Enjoy the next slice of Steve & Romy.
Cannot wait to read your thoughts and comments, they make my day!
Enjoy xx 

Chapter Text

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

“Thank you so much for this Romy!” Lou leaned back in his chair, rubbing his stomach. He had definitely enjoyed this feast.

“It's the least I could do, after everything you all did for us over the last 10 days.” Romy raised her glass in a toast, smiling at her friends sitting at the dining table out on the lanai. The waves were crashing peacefully and you could hear the kids having a laugh sitting at the fire pit a couple of feet away.y

Kono patted her hand “That’s what friends are for.”

“Still.” Romy winked at her, flipping her hand over intertwining her fingers with Kono, squeezing her hand. “We appreciate it and especially you guys helping out eating all these casseroles that have appeared in this house over the last week.”

“We’re always happy to help out.” Chin supplied while helping himself to another serving of lasagna.

“You sure are.” Abby smiled indulgently at her boyfriend’s appetite.

“So, why don’t you tell us why we’re really here?” Renee took a sip from her wine glass.

“I don’t know what you mean?” She grinned back at her.

“Oh come on” Renee popped an olive into her mouth. “This was buttering up. I mean that the guys don’t get it, fair enough. But please, don’t play coy with us.” She gestured to Kono, Abby, and herself.

“Ahem! Excuse me!” Lou and Chin sputtered.

“Alright, alright you got me.” Romy held up her hand. “I need your help.” She leaned back in her chair. “With Danny and Steve getting released from the hospital tomorrow, I just worry that neither of them will adhere to any of the post-op directions.”

“I’m sorry, love, but that was a given.” Lou shrugged and rubbed his arm after Renee pinched him. “Well, you know...” he tried to recover.

“Don’t.” Romy sighed, her head fell into her palm. “You are right. But still, I thought when all of us are keeping an eye out on them. You know making sure they don’t jump from buildings or you know getting shot for at least a month or so. We could class that as a win and I won’t feel like a complete failure when one of them ends back up in the hospital again.”

Her plea was interrupted by Nahele who galloped up to the house with Sara riding piggyback.

“Do we still have stuff for S’mores, Mama?”

Romy raised an eyebrow at him, he was usually more polite than the blatant demand. “Wanna try that again, kiddo?”

“We’d like to roast some S’mores, please. Do we still have everything?” Nahele rephrased his question with a slight roll of his eyes. He readjusted Sara on his back, pushing her further up, prompting her to add her big eyes and pout for good measure. The table laughed at the two of them.

“You are allowed and we got everything in the kitchen.” Romy chuckled.

“Aunt Romy” Sara piped up. “I really like your braids. Can I have some too?”

“Sure” Romy held out her arms for the little girl. “Why don’t I do that quickly while Nahele gets all the S’mores parts.”

Nahele let Sara down his back right into Romy’s lap, who proceeded to braid a little crown around the girl's head like her own. Kono snapped a couple of pictures of the two, showing them to Romy and Sara after she sends them to Steve as well.

“Thank you. You can do this so much better than Uncle Chin.” Sara declared, making the adults laugh out loud.

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

Steve smiled at the pictures Kono had just send to him, he was so happy to see Romy smile, it has been way too rare the last couple of days. He had put her through so much. He dropped his phone in his lap, as he wheeled out of the lift and down to the chapel. He hadn’t been in one for a long while. The lit candles illuminated the chapel in a flickering glow, almost making you forget that it was located in a hospital. He wasn’t prepared for the memories, that flooded his mind.

 “I’m gonna die” 

“No, you’re not gonna die today.” Danny’s conviction and desperatio n making his  voice do summersaults.  

Steve sniffled, Romy’s face the last thing he saw before everything got black. Seeing her pregnant, a little girl maybe? That needed its hair braided just like Sara did in the picture? He hated what he put her through. The way she tried to hold herself together. The pain still radiating from his incision. What did she pray for? Health & Strength? He didn’t feel healthy or strong at all tonight. He turned around when a bench behind him creak. “Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t realize anyone was in here.”

“That’s alright.” Steve squinted trying to make the man out in the shadows. 

“Hey, I can leave, if...”

“No, it’s okay. I...I can use the company.” The older man’s face was illuminated by the candles surrounding them. 

“Okay.” 

“My wife’s in surgery.” He offered after a moment of silence. 

“I’m sorry to hear that.”

“She beat cancer a few years back and put up with me for 45 years, so this should be a walk in the park.” Steve could hear how the man tried to make himself stay positive. 

“Right.” Steve nodded a small grin forming. 

“What happened to you?” 

“Work-related injury.” 

“If you don’t mind me asking, what kind of work do you do?” 

“I’m, uh...I’m in law enforcement. Five-O task force.””

“Hmm.” 

Steve frowned “What?” 

“I was a cop, too. A long time ago.” 

“Okay, I’m sorry. You were a cop and you’re married for 45 years.” That blew Steve’s mind. “What’s your secret?” 

“No Secret.” The man chuckled. “I just met the right gal.”

Steve nodded at that “Huh.” 

“What about you? You married? Girlfriend?”

“Married.” His face brightened, like always when he spoke of Romy. 

“The right gal?” The other man wanted to know. 

Steve shifted in his chair, what was that even for a question. “Yeah. I just hate what I put her through. With this job you know? Sometimes it feels like this job of mine is jeopardizing everything good in my life. I’ve been wearing the badge for six years, and I’m really starting to wonder, whether any of it’s worth it.” Shit, where had that come from? 

“Son, what we do can’t be quantified. Your worth is measured in the closure you bring, the people you save. That’s your real legacy. And the best legacy a man can leave behind is the people whose lives he’s changed. Trust me. If you ask your wife if you changed her life what would she say?” 

Steve pondered this for a moment and then smiled at the older man. “Thank you. All the best for your wife.” He turned around and started to wheel out of the chapel. The door hadn’t closed properly yet when he heard him say “Lord, give her Health & Strength. We’ll steal the rest.” Steve shook his head, he must have misheard. 

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

Kono and Grover were almost run over by Danny and Steve, both in wheelchairs zipping around corners.

"Oh yeah, that seems like a really good idea," Grover groaned because he would bet all the money in his wallet that this was what Romy was referring to yesterday. He and Kono watched the two racing down the hallway, making nurses and visitors jump out of their way.

Kono raised her eyebrows, Steve seemed to be leading. She knew Romy would have her head but hey, you can’t fight against their natural competitiveness "Got ten bucks on Super Seal."

Grover shook her hand. "Oh, sister, you got yourself a bet. We are going to be in so much trouble!”

Steve tried to keep his advantage ramming his wheelchair into Danny’s and kicking into the back of it, making Danny spin out. He could see the finish line already. “It’s over partner. It’s over. You hear me?” Kono and Lou waiting for them at the nurses' station. He has not felt this alive and strong in over one week.

The next thing he knew was him careening over an IV rack and straight out of his wheelchair onto the floor.

Danny drifted to a stop right in front of Lou and Kono “That felt really good.” He grinned, while Steve still tried to get off the floor, completely entangled into IV lines.

Lou held out his hand to Kono, who grumbling handed the money over. “Mahalo.” He pocketed his 10 Dollars quickly.

“Oho.” Danny’s gloating grin morphed to a small, innocent smile quickly, causing Kono and Lou to turn around. Behind them stood Romy, her arms crossed in front of her, her fingernails tapping a rhythm against them, she clearly was not impressed. “A wheelchair race? Really?” She moved over to Steve to help the nurse to get him back into the wheelchair, throwing a death glare at the other three.

“You tell them, babe.” Steve glad she was on his side.

Romy pushed herself off his wheelchair and stood back up “Don’t think I don’t know who’s stupid idea this was, to begin with.”

Busted!

——xx——xx—— 

“I really wish you’d be taking a couple of days off to stay at home.” Romy had just loaded Steve’s hospital bag into her car. 

“We had a deal, gorgeous.” Steve wrapped his arms around her waist. “Light-duty in exchange for going into the office.” 

“You promise, you’ll take it easy?” She bit her lip, she was absolutely not happy with him going back to work, but there were better uses of her time than arguing against windmills. 

“We don’t have any active investigations at the moment. It’ll be an easy day.” Steve kissed her forehead. 

“I still don’t like it.” Romy frowned. 

“I know.” 

A honk interrupted them, they turned around, Danny was leaning over from the back seat in Lou’s SUV pushing the honk down. They chuckled as Kono pulled him back by his shirt swatting at his hands. 

“My ride is calling me.” Steve lifted her face and kissed Romy passionately. “I love you and I’ll see you at home.” 

“Love you too. Have a good day.” Romy mumbled against his lips, giving him three more quick pecks before letting him go. Letting out a big sigh, she got into her car and drove off to work. 

——xx——xx—— 

It felt good being back in the palace, a sense of normalcy not dictated by PT appointments and Post Op rules.

"You know, you can't really call it a victory if you cheat,” Kono told Danny.

Danny took exception to that "I did not cheat. I did not cheat. I did the same thing he would have done, only sooner."

Kono shook her head, catching Steve’s mad expression. He must still be pissed off about losing, or that Romy caught them. Could be a toss-up, Romy definitely was mad at them.

"Besides, he was drafting off of me the whole time," Danny added, shooting a grin at Steve. 

"Where in the rulebook does it say I can't do that?" Steve butted in.

Danny shrugged "I dunno, it's probably right next to the page where it says, you're an idiot if you challenge somebody to a wheelchair race .

Steve couldn’t help himself and added another dig. "Bigger idiot if you accept the challenge."

"Kono, I know what you're trying to do and you ain't getting your money back.” Lou piped up from the back, barely concealing his amusement, he turned to the other two. "You know what, McGarrett? I thought when you had a near-death experience and your man gave you part of his liver that you'd become closer. But now that that's been blown to hell, we settle it like this. Have another wheelchair race next time you're both in the hospital."

"That should be very soon. Knowing this genius.” Danny patted Steve’s chest. Steve gave him a weak grin in return and opened the glass door to their offices. 

What the fuck! 

All four of them drew their guns instantly, Steve moved forward to the body lying on the floor, while the others covered him and checked the offices. 

“Clear.” “Clear.” “Clear.” 

Steve patted the body down and then lifted it up slightly, Lou checking underneath for any trigger or bomb, the last thing they needed was something exploding. “You’re good.” 

He nodded and flipped the body over. The man's head completely ensconced in plastic and a note pinned to his chest: I’ve been a bad boy 

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

HPD had taken over the palace quickly, the new M.E. doing her preliminary checks.

“The Vic's name is Anthony Lee Hein.” Abby briefed Steve with the details about the victim and then walked over to the other officers.

“Oh. Abby.” Steve called out.

She turned around “Yeah.”

“Badge looks good on you.” He pointed to the HPD badge clipped to her belt. “Welcome to HPD.”

“Mahalo.” Abby smiled at him widely, it was good to be part of the force again.

“Noelani, what do you got?” Steve squatted down next to the victim. He listened to the M.E. intently as she rattled down her observations, nothing however stood out that would give them a lead.

“What is that?” Steve asked as her flashlight hit something in the vic’s mouth. “What is that?”

The M.E. pulled out a weird-looking stone “I have no idea.”

 

The stone turned out to be hand-carved walrus ivory, as Eric discovered, and part of an ancient chess set. A pawn to be exact.

 

If that was not enough, Anthony Hein turned out to be a serial killer murdering tourists in hotels, which had the newly elected Governor of Hawaii, Keiko Mahoe, on his case as well. Demanding a swift solution to not jeopardize Hawaii’s biggest industry. Steve did not agree with the course of action set by the Governor, covering this whole thing up in the press. What happens when another tourist got killed?

Of course, they discovered two more victims, this time in a beach rental near Ewa Beach and another serial killer dead in Lou’s SUV, with another pawn carved out of walrus ivory. This serial killer leads them to a house with 8 victims and now all hell broke loose, there was no way to cover this up anymore, and the media on the island and the mainland descended on the cases. Governor Mahoe called Steve into the Governor’s mansion reading him not so subtle the riot act like he needed that. He rubbed his incision, it was aching again, as he walked back to the Palace. This case had them fumbling, victims and dead serial killers being discovered almost hourly, and no lead to anything solid.

Luckily the chess set finally brought them to a new suspect. Pierre Shaw. Danny and Steve were interviewing him in his flat, they suddenly heard faint pounding “Help me, I’m here.” They looked at each other and the next thing Shaw ran through the glass door and jumped to the next building. Steve following him, the guy was hopping expertly from balcony to balcony putting a larger distance between him and Steve by the second. Steve took a breath and took after him, story by story, while the kid was making some parkour moves jumping onto adjoining roofs.

“Guys, Shaw is on the move!” Steve shouted over the comms for backup.

“Got it!” Chin responded.

“Lou cut him off.” Steve heard Lou speeding off. “Chin, go around,” he instructed while starting to jump down to street level. He could still see him, using cars to make his way quicker. They chased into an alleyway, sliding underneath rubbish and other materials.

“He’s heading to the roof.” Steve followed him and directed Chin the other way. Steve raced up the roof, he could see Shaw already at the edge getting ready to jump. Steve could not let him go away and jumped after him, he landed with a thud and rolled over onto his back. His chest felt weird and sticky, he groaned in pain. He touched it carefully and lifted his hand to his face. It was covered in red. Fuck, he popped his stitches. Romy would kill him. “Chin, I lost him. He headed west.”

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

Romy sat in the back office, going through some new projections. She had no clue why her boss decided he desperately wanted to have a piece of this hotel, but here she was. It did not fit into the company’s portfolio and some of the leadership team did not appreciate the new stakeholders. She really needed some backup, she could not afford constant headache-inducing alterations, like the one she just had with the Front Office Manager, especially if she was supposed to do her usual job as well.

A commotion outside startled her out of occupancy forecasts. Was that Chin?

“You tell them to stay inside, to lock their rooms until we say it’s safe to come back out,” Chin said forcefully.

“What is going on here?” Romy stepped out of the little office behind reception.

“They are asking me to seal the hotel!” The front office manager said like he never heard something that ridiculous before, gesturing to Chin and Lou.

“Then do it. Now!” Romy was furious, did he not know what was currently going on this island? The man was still in shock and she leaned over him typing a sequence on the desk phone. Suddenly a lot of beepers were going off around them. Romy cradled the phone between her ear and shoulder “I need Head of Security and Operations Manager in the lobby now.” She hung up the phone and looked over to Chin “Care to tell me, why I just crashed the hotel and locked 1,500 people into their rooms?”

“Girl, what the heck are you doing here?” Lou looked at her in wonder. He must admit he’d never seen Romy in action. This was not the woman he had come to know over the last few years, this was a whole different level.

“We started managing that hotel a couple of weeks ago.” Romy grabbed a Walkie-Talkie from underneath the desk and clipped the earpiece and mic in, always keeping an eye on the lift.

“I thought...”

“Lou, I love that you are interested in this. But is now really the right time to give a give you a crash course in the different types of Hotel management?”

“Well, I guess...”

“At the moment I and those two are the most senior people in the hotel.” Romy gestured to the two men bursting into the lobby, but Chin saw the look the Front Manager gave Romy. Ruffled feathers indeed, he thought. The men Romy pointed out and herself were at least 15 years younger than him.

“Where is the rest?”

“Outside,” Lou said carefully, Romy was not going to be happy when she saw Steve.

——xx——xx—— 

“What the heck!” Romy burst out when she spotted Steve on the gurney, a bandage wrapped around his chest and Danny was just handing him a new Shirt.

“I’m fine.” He tried to pacify her.

“You are fine? You’re bleeding! You should be in a hospital.”

“He said he was fine, that’s what I’m going to put on his tombstone,” Danny added.

“Could you give us a second?” Steve turned to the paramedic, who nodded, thankful he was getting out of the firing line.

“I love you. I love both of you.” Steve started.

“I love you too,” Danny responded, but Romy just kept looking at Steve not as easily swayed.

“Would you give me a break, please?”

“You want a break? All right, I’m stepping aside to watch where you get yourself killed. ”His partner stepped away from him, trying to make it even more clear that he would not stand by.

“Danny.” Steve rubbed his chest, waiting for his friend to turn around. “Thank you.” He really meant it, what he had done for him. He could never repay. He gave him a future.

“You’re welcome.” Danny smiled at the gesture.

Steve turned to Romy “I’m not trying to get myself killed.”

“No? Are you sure? Because this a relief!” Romy took the rant over from Danny. “I just got told you jumped off buildings when you are officially not even allowed to drive! And you guys?” She whirled around to the others, who joined them “You promised to keep an eye on them. This is not keeping an eye.” She pointed to the gurney Steve was sitting on. “You really want to reject that stupid liver, don’t you.” she hissed at her husband. “Hey!” Danny threw in, taking offense at his liver being called stupid.

“Argh!” Romy threw her hands up in frustration. “I don’t even...I can’t...I’ve got no words. And actually bigger problems right now. There is a serial killer loose in my hotel.” A crackling interrupted Romy’s tirade, only now did Steve notice the earpiece and mic pinned to the lapel of her dress.

“All right, building’s secure. We’re going in.” Kono put on her gloves, nodding to Romy who nodded back, the same information she just got from her people.

“All right, where’s my vest?” Steve hopped off the gurney.

“What do you mean where is your vest? Where are you going?” Romy turned back to Steve.

“Where am I going? I’m going across the street for a cappuccino...Where am I going?” He slipped into his vest. “What do you think?”

“Have you listened to anything either Danny or I said a minute ago?” Romy could not believe it.

“It was a very nice talk, and I meant everything I said.” He clipped his vest into place. “I didn’t say I was gonna stand down.”

Kono, Lou, Chin, and Danny looked at each other uncomfortably - Steve did not just say that.

“You’re an idiot. I’m done.” Romy said resigned, what was the point in worrying.

“Wait, wait, wait a second.” Lou tried to calm everyone down and hopefully save Steve from a massive blowout fight that was definitely going to come his way at home. “We got more than enough guys in here.”

“These guys are right.” Chin tried as well.

“You know what save your breath.” Romy waved them off.

“He’s determined to have my noble sacrifice be in vain.” Danny chimed in. “Don’t give me that look.” He snarked at Steve when he walked past him, clearly done with the conversation.

“You know what!” Romy shouted out, making Steve turn around. “The next time you need someone to sit at our bedside while you recover from an organ transplant, or hold your hand while they ween you off the morphine, ask Danny or Chin cause I’m out.” With that Romy stalked back into the hotel.

Steve grabbed her hand, she was his height standing one step above him and in her heels. Romy’s eyes blazing at him, god she was so fucking beautiful when she was angry. Steve knew better than to point this out, she’d do some serious bodily harm. He knew he shouldn’t have said all these things, but he hated it when they ganged upon him. Treating him like he had no sense of self-preservation. He needed to put that aside right now, especially when it looked like that the love of his life, decided to take a leaf out of his playbook and charge headfirst into a dangerous situation. “What do you think you are doing?” He asked.

“Going back inside.”

“Like hell no. There is a serial killer loose in there. You are not going anywhere near this.”

Romy rose her eyebrows “You’re kidding right? The one who should stand down is you. I didn’t have an organ transplant 10 days ago.”

“You’re a civilian.”

“And...I’ve got 1,500 civilians locked in their bedrooms. They are my responsibility. Let’s go, so we can finish this and I can continue to shout at you for being an idiot.”

“Hold on.” He ground out, holding onto her hand. “Hold the fuck on. You are not going in there...” His face stopped Romy’s vocal protest, but it didn’t stop her from shooting daggers at him. “Without any form of protection.” Steve snapped his vest loose and pushed it over Romy’s head.

“What about you?” She wanted to know. “This really doesn’t go with my outfit today.” She snarked, while he tightened the vest, making sure it sat securely.

“Don’t test me, Romy.”

“Here,” Danny handed him the spare vest.

“Happy?” Steve asked after putting it on.

“No, but we really don’t have time to argue. Let’s go.” They made quite the sight, Romy in her heels and business dress in between all the law enforcement.

“Detective Dunn, so good to see you.” Lou greeted Abby, as she joined their little group.

“Thought you guys could use a hand.” Abby shrugged, trying to voice her confusion at seeing Romy in a vest and Steve’s murderous expression.

“All staff is fixed to their stations and are not moving. We’ve disabled all room keys. Lifts have been switched to only work with key cards.” Romy briefed them quickly and then handed out a bunch of master keys. “These are the only ones working right now. Any other key in the hotel has been disabled.” They all looked at her in wonder. “What are you staring at me for? I’m good at my job too.”

Steve pulled her quickly to the side “I love you and I promise we can argue at home.”

“We better. Go catch a bad guy.”

“Channel 21, Romy.” He nodded to her Walkie-Talkie.

“Ok” She messed around with the channel under his watchful eye. “Love you too.”

——xx——xx——

Romy had sprinted up to the roof as she heard the comms of the team. Danny’s “Steve! Don’t do it!” Had her kick off her heels and take two steps at a time. She walked up next to them staring down the roof. “Gerard is going to have fun cleaning that one up.” She commented drily, as she saw the body lying prone below them, evoking laughter from the team around her.

——xx——xx——

A huge weight lifted off all their shoulders when they stepped out of the hotel. The nightmare was over. Kono wanted to celebrate with a beer and wings and everyone was up for it, except for Romy.

“I’ve got a mess to clean up in there.” She nodded to the hotel.

“Tell you what, you guys have at it. I’m gonna, uh...I’m gonna head home.” Romy raised her eyebrows at Steve’s excuse. “Eh, I've broken pretty much every post-op rule there is to break. I think I’m gonna rest up a little bit, you know. We still have an argument to hash out.” He nodded at his wife. “Might even take a couple days off.”

“What??” Lou stretched the word, but Steve ignored his obvious sarcasm. His eyes were on Romy, hoping she would see that he really meant it this time, taking it easy.

In the end, Steve stayed with Romy at the hotel, watching her work, smoothing the ruffled feathers of tourists, and putting staff at ease. He had never been there for the aftermath of one of his cases and he hated how it drained her, especially after having another phone call with her boss.

They headed home when the sun had already set and the sky was a dusky blue, both tired to their bones, they actually held each up walking up to their front door.

“A couple of days off, you weren’t just saying that?”

“No.” Steve took a breath. “I need it.”

“I still got some vacation days. Why don’t the three of us go away? A family holiday on one of the other islands.”

“That sounds perfect.” Steve unlocked the door, grasping his chest.

“You ok?” Romy rubbed her hand over his. A thump made Steve whirl around, gun drawn. “Stay behind me.” Carefully he walked into the kitchen, following the sound. There proudly on their island stood another chess piece. The patio door slamming had him on high alert again, creeping back out of the kitchen to the lanai. There was no one, no other noise, no footsteps. They couldn’t have just disappeared into thin air.

 

Sitting on the sofa, they nursed a whiskey together, while Steve explained the whole situation and the significance of the chess piece, that Romy rolled in her hand.

“You still want to go away?” She asked, setting the piece on the table in front of them.

Steve grasped her hand, interlacing it over his incision. “Yeah.” More than ever they should, someone managed to get in and out of their house without tripping the alarm, he wanted CSU dusting every inch of it. Romy cocked her head at him, listening to his reasons. “Then I’ll be making some calls” she patted his leg and pulled out her phone contemplating who owed her a favor and would put them up short notice.

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

The choice fell onto a resort on the Big Island, located near Hualalai, it was compromised of little huts, a private beach, and the main building that hosted two restaurants and reception. It was paradise.

Romy wandered down the beach at their hotel collecting seashells, once in a while she looked out to the ocean seeing Steve and Nahele bopping along on their paddleboards. They needed this, she could not believe how much stress had already melted away, purely by being here. Sleeping in, gorging yourself on a beautiful breakfast buffet, and not checking your emails first thing in the morning did wonders for the dark circles underneath her eyes.

“Hey, gorgeous!”

Romy looked up from where she was kneeling, checking out some pretty shells. Shielding her eyes against the sun, she squinted up at Steve. He had paddled back to the beach, kneeling on the paddleboard in front of her.

“Come join us.” He smiled at her widely, holding out his hand for her to take.

“Will I not interrupt male bonding time?” She pushed her hair behind her ear.

“We’re all bonded out.” He teased right back. “Come on!” He scooted back a little on the board in invitation.

Romy smiled at him and waded into the water, taking his hand she carefully slid onto the board, making it wobble precariously. “Sorry!” She grimaced, trying to get onto the board without toppling Steve off.

“It’s ok.” Steve steadied himself holding onto Romy’s shoulders. “You good?”

Romy tilted her head back and beamed up at him “perfect.”

“Then let’s go!” He paddled them back out to Nahele. Romy closed her eyes, leaning against Steve’s legs, her hands resting on her knees, the rhythm of the paddle, Steve’s breathing, the waves almost put her in a meditative state.

And that’s how she remained for the next three days. With the peaceful atmosphere seeping into their beings, Steve managed to sleep through the nights for the first time since getting shot. Nahele had discovered the teenage activities organized by the resort, leaving his parents to fend for themselves most days and even some evenings. Allowing Steve and Romy to indulge in late-night walks on the beach, dancing in the bar, and way too much PDA that would usually extract a scoff from Nahele. Just like now.

Their villa doused in darkness, the only sources of lights were the sunk bulbs in the private pool. Romy had pulled Steve in with an impish grin “Be more adventurous, Schnuffi. Shower after Sex isn’t the only way to freshen up.” She submerged herself in the water, coming back up after a second, a gasp on her lips. Steve had joined her in the meantime, pulling her against him. They shared a smile. Romy traced her fingers up his arms until they interlaced behind his neck. Her face against his wet neck, placing tiny kisses onto his skin. Steve sighed in contentment, his hands mapping Romy’s back. Her shoulders, the birthmarks smatterings across the whole expanse, always somehow arranged in triangles, her ribs, extra careful with the one she broke over a year ago. The dibs of her waist, the fullness of her hips, the roundness of her ass. All so familiar, things he had kissed and touched too many times to count, but he still managed to find something new every time her skin came close to his. Steve wrapped her legs around his waist, Romy’s kisses moved up his neck reaching his lips. A sigh escaped both of them. Neither of them wanted to say something, not wanting to interrupt the spell that has settled over them. All talk was done with their eyes and hands. Romy leaned back, trusting that Steve would hold her, support her, not letting her go, not letting her drown. She was floating on her back, her legs still wrapped around his waist, her arms stretched on her sides. Floating.

Steve watched her, the moonlight and the underwater lights setting her in scene. Making Romy look ethereal, with her hair spread out around her.

“You are the most gorgeous thing I have ever seen.” His deep voice almost harsh against the quiet night. Romy’s eyes popped open at his insistent tone, she gazed up at him. He was so strong, holding her up with just a hand on her lower back, and so soft at the same time. His heart so big she sometimes wondered how it fit in his chest, the love, affection and compassion he bestowed so freely and infinitely onto his friends and family. Onto her.

“I love you, Steve.” She had never spoken truer words.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Their paradise was rudely interrupted a day later, as if they were part of a conspiracy their phones rang for the first time during their holiday, shattering the peace they had found.

“Danny, I told you not to call me.” Romy smiled sadly at Steve’s opening sentence, her days in paradise were counted. She was startled out of her misery by her own phone, and an unknown British number ringing.

“Erhardt.” She greeted, and in all her life she had never expected to hear that voice again. Her breathing becoming shallow, as she listened to the person on the other end. Steve had hung up with Danny, finally Alicia Brown had agreed to meet with them when he noticed how distressed Romy was. He sat down in front of her, she grabbed his hand blindly, squeezing it.

“Yes, of course. I will be there. I take the next possible flight, Ms. Greene.”

Steve’s eyes widened, what did the prosecutor of her case want from her. They didn’t finally manage to nail that piece of shit? Romy had hung up the phone, she was in shock, could not really process what she just heard. Catching Steve’s eyes she said softly “Holiday is over.”

Chapter 31: For her. For myself

Summary:

Summary: a trip to Europe should not involve a terror attack nor a courtroom.
Warnings: mentions of sexual assault, violence
Episode: Season 7 -  Episode 2

Notes:

Hello lovelies, 

Posting a chapter today, that plays part in London and speaks about the sexual assault of one of the main characters, felt wrong and oddly right on the other hand. This week has shaken me more than I’d ever thought possible. Sarah Everard was walking home on a lit and CCTV covered street in London. She was abducted and murdered.

It definitely has affected my writing, so I apologise in advance, if that chapter isn’t up to my usual standard. It just needed to get out.

Thank you all, for your continued support of this story. It means the absolute world to me.

Chapter Text

Honolulu Airport was busy, even more so this sunny day in August. The holiday crowds of the world heaved through the halls, eager to collect their luggage and start  time in paradise. The cheerful atmosphere had not swapped over to Steve and Romy standing at the gate. The air around them tense, Nahele watched them warily, the conversation way too serious for a tearful goodbye at the airport.

“I don’t like this.” Steve held Romy’s hands, his voice strained. “You doing this on your own.”

“I’m not gonna be alone, Steve.” She squeezed his hands, hoping her voice was reassuring not trembling. Hating that even 4 years after her attack, it still had this effect on her. And now it affected her family too, she knew that Steve hadn’t slept well since the phone call two days ago. Telling Nahele yesterday evening, his face ... so dark, so sad, like she robbed him of his last bit of innocence. The way his eyes widened and shut as he turned this piece of information around in his mind, like a puzzle piece that he was unsure if it fits with the whole puzzle. Maybe it was time to find a therapist on the island?

“I don’t think taking our son counts.” Steve nodded over to Nahele, who waited not so patiently for his parents to finish saying goodbye.

“He won’t be anywhere near the courthouse that day.” Romy had been adamant about this, despite Nahele arguing the opposite yesterday. Her thumb kept rubbing circles on his hands, she was skeptical if it meant to calm him or her. “I’ll have Lauren with me and I’m sure the others will be there as well.”

“Still.” The word hung between them, heavy with regret and foreboding.

“Feels weird doesn’t it?” Romy asked after a silent moment.

“What?”

“Not sneaking off to a bathroom this time.”

Steve snorted and glanced at his watch “We’ve got time for a quickie if we’re fast.”

“Don’t tempt me!” She slapped his shoulder. “I mean, should I stay here? Everything that’s happening with this serial killer...I feel like I should...” she bit her lip.

“No!” Steve insisted, his hands coming up to frame Romy’s face. “No. You go to London. This is important. You would never forgive yourself if you didn’t go” he echoed their reasonings from the previous nights.

Romy nodded jerkily, hoping she could be as strong as Steve’s faith in her. “Ok.”

“Hey.” He hooked his finger under her chin, meeting her eyes dead-on. “I believe in you, gorgeous.” He could see the uncertainty. The doubt, if what she was doing would help the other woman or if it would harm her case. He didn’t like, letting her go on her own but what choice did he have? What she was doing, was right, it wasn’t easy, but it was the only choice. He would let her go, he would trust the people who’d loved her before for him. “Despite everything” his nose brushed hers “do try to have some fun.”

Romy needed to laugh “As if Lauren would allow that to happen.”

“Well then“ Steve raise an eyebrow in jest “try not to have too much fun.“

A monotone voice announced , that the flight was now ready to board interrupted them.

“Good luck with Alicia Brown.” Romy stretched up against him, her fingers playing with the hair on the nape of his neck. She kissed him, languidly, not wanting to part, allowing herself to imprint his taste, his smell on her, to tie her over until she returned “I love you. I’ll see you later? “

“I love you too gorgeous. And I’ll be right here to pick you up.”

Steve pulled Nahele into a hug and was surprised when he didn’t squirm out of it straight away.

“I’ll take good care of Mom, I promise.”

He ruffled Nahele’s hair “Take care of each other.” With that, he released his family into an adventure he didn’t know how they would return.

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

Steve had not been sleeping well. He had forgotten how quiet the house was without Romy and Nahele. He had not realized that the Lanai door squeaked when you opened it at a certain angle or how loud the washing machine rumbled through the empty house. It was deafening. Music helped, and he was once more glad that Nahele had talked him into this fancy sound system, where you could link the speakers in different rooms to your phone. When he laid in bed the music switched to play one of Romy’s audiobooks, not that he had clue what they were saying, this week‘s book was in German, it was soothing in its own way. Steve woke up with a lot of messages mainly from Nahele. Sending pictures of their journey, Romy asleep on the plane. The house they were staying in, the one she used to share with her friends. He had spoken with Romy while getting ready for work, she ready for bed, not wanting to miss their routine.

He was glad that Danny had managed to persuade Alicia Brown to meet them. Despite putting every single available resource at finding the person behind the murders, they were not getting an inch closer. Steve and Danny were sitting in Alicia’s living room, laying out the situation. He handed her the chess piece, watching the former FBI profiler turning it over in her hand. Alicia looked at them “And I take it you're here because you want my help?"

"Yeah, I mean, you were a behavioral analyst with the FBI for 15 years. You profiled a lot of serial killers." Danny explained.

"I'm also retired." she eyed Steve, her eyes lingering on his left ring finger.

Really? That was her only response, after hearing the case. Did she not realize what was at stake here? Steve took a deep breath, in an attempt to calm himself "That chess piece you're holding is our only solid lead. We have allocated absolutely every available resource to this case. It's been over a week, and, well, we, uh, we have nothing."

"Well, that's not unusual in cases like this." Alicia leaned forward, the chess piece still in her fingers. "Where the killers suddenly goes to ground, that's when it becomes a waiting game. Patience. That'll be the key."

"Patience is definitely not his strong suit." Danny let out a chuckle.

Steve's patience had run out, that fucker had been their house, had endangered Romy and Nahele. He did not have the nerves for a waiting game. "He left that in my house. In my house. Where my partner and my kid live. I'm sorry but I have no time for patience or a waiting game." Steve growled. "What, is he taunting me? I… help me understand, please."

"On the contrary, commander, I, uh… I think that the killer admires you." Steve raised his eyebrows, was she for real? A killer admiring him? "The knight is the protector of the realm. In chess, that is a very powerful weapon in close positions. I think he sees you as a potentially dangerous adversary. Unlike the victims who are mere pawns, expendable foot soldiers."

Danny could feel the sharp intake of breath from Steve. He understood his friend, man, if that suspect would have broken into his house, coming close to Charlie and Grace. Danny shuddered, he would be in a much worse mindset than Steve right now, so he decided to give him a break. “This is just my opinion, but I think that the chess metaphor with the people moving around and the thing with… I don't, uh… I don't buy it personally. No disrespect, Ms. Brown, maybe this guy is not a smart as you think he is?”

Alicia raised her eyebrow now "And yet here you are in my home asking for help." she challenged Danny. "Don't make the mistake of underestimating this person, detective. He doesn't just have people killing for him, he has them sending him pictures, evidence of his work. That is a highly sophisticated form of manipulation."

Manipulation - wonderful. What better way to do this than to put his family on the line. Steve rubbed his hand over his face. "The governor of Hawaii has empowered us to do whatever is necessary to, uh, to catch whoever's responsible. So, I need you to tell me what it's gonna take for you to come and work for us. Temporarily, of course."

"I'm sorry, Commander, but I'm… I'm retired."

She was kidding him, right? She was really not going to help them? His eyes flit around the room, spying the picture of her and what must be a daughter or niece, the familiarity too big to be anyone else. He was prepared to play dirty if he had to. "You understand that innocent people are dead, innocent people with families. That's gotta mean something to you."

Alicia avoided his gaze, her demeanor less standoffish suddenly ”It does." A jerk went through her, and she met his eyes dead on "My answer's still no."

Steve could not be any longer in the same room as this woman. “We'll let ourselves out. Thank you.” He said curtly.

Danny summed up the whole meeting on their way to the car “That was a waste of time, huh?”

Steve wholeheartedly agreed, he had let Romy go on her own to London for that!

——xx——xx—— 

The meeting with Alicia left Steve in a shit mood. He had no patience for a rogue MI-6 agent who thought they had the right to betray their country and then kill an innocent woman. He hoped it was worth it, he thought as he remembered the torn-up room, killing the woman, attracting that much heat for whatever he was looking for. He pressed the home button on his phone again, Romy's and his smiling faces lit up his screen with every push. He hadn't heard anything from them since early this morning. He needed to hear her voice, telling him that everything was going to be fine. His musings were interrupted by Lou popping into his office. "We got a lead on Langford." 

That lead had him and Danny chasing Langford down the roads of Hawaii.

"Hey, wanna see what I had for breakfast? Keep driving like a jerk!" Danny shouted. 

Oh, he did not just criticize his driving? He was in no mood for that. "Would you man up once in your life?" 

"Man up?" 

"Man up."

"Are you talking to me, man up?" Danny asked again. 

"Yes." 

“Don’t talk to me like that! You’ve been irritable since you brought Romy to the airport this morning. What’s going on? She’s not gonna stay there.” 

Steve pressed down on the gas pedal further, trying not to lose Langford in traffic. “I know that!”

“Then what, man!?” Danny screeched, his foot pressing down an invisible brake on his side. “I’d like not to die in the next 3 minutes.”

Oh god, Steve would like nothing more than to tell Danny. Ask for his advice.  Hey dude, so my girl just flew to London testifying against her rapist, and I needed to stay here. Any idea what I can do to support her?  The urge was strong, he bit his lip to stop himself. He couldn’t - he couldn’t betray her trust like that. His internal monologue was rudely interrupted by Langford ditching his car and trying to flee on foot. They followed him into a massive dry cleaning warehouse. Steve drew his gun, inching his way forward. Before he could make one more step, Langford attacked him. A vicious hand-to-hand combat ensued, involving hoses, brooms, and the large washing machines housed in the warehouse. It felt good to let his aggressions out, the frustration with Alicia Brown, his helplessness with Romy. He was distracted for one fraction of a second too much and Langford managed to put him into a chokehold, he couldn’t get out of. 

"Hey, hey, hey, hey, hands in the air! Hands in the air." Danny. Finally! "Yes, you." Steve couldn't feel Langford release his hold, prompting Danny to shout again "Now, now. Yes. Back away."

Thank god, oxygen was making its way back into his body. 

"Well, I guess we can call that a draw." Langford drawled. His British accent oh so proper, his voice oh so smug.

Steve smashed his elbow in Langford’s face knocking him out. Fuck that felt good. 

——xx——xx—— 

They brought Harry Langford back to the Palace, he hadn’t uttered a word since Danny put the cuffs on him, giving Steve the urge to hit him again just to get a reaction. Chin handed him a massive file on Langford before they joined him in the cell. "I know I'm in the minority here, but Roger Moore was my favorite Bond." Leave it to Danny to bring up James Bond when interrogating an MI-6 agent.

"Oh, yeah?" Langford cocked his head, not the way he thought this conversation would go.

"I mean, I grew up watching him so that's probably why, but you… you seem like the, um, the Daniel Craig type, right?" Danny turned from Langford to Steve.

This amused the English man greatly if his smug grin was anything to go by. “I suppose we can't all be Sean Connery."

Steve pulled out the little bag and poured the diamonds in his hand, he could see the surprise on Langford’s face for a millisecond before the other man’s training snapped back in. "What about this? There's 20 million dollars worth of diamonds right there. I bet that's more than an MI6 pension."

Langford’s face was unmoving, a mask. Oh, how Steve hated spies. Only when Danny showed him a picture of the dead woman, regret flitted over his face. It took them 10 more minutes and some help from the file, but Langford finally came clean. He was running a deep undercover illegal arms trade op, he felt even more generous and gave them a name of an Egyptian Millionaire highly involved in the trade: Lucky Morad.

"I'll make the call. If your story checks out, well release you. But there's a caveat." Steve said

"Go on." Harry Langford was all smiles now.

"If you're gonna be operating on this island, you do it under our supervision."

"What exactly does that mean?"

"It means that whatever you're doing we are now involved.” Steve hauled Langford off the chair, the grip around his arm tight. “These stay on until your story clears.” he tightened the handcuffs on the way to the elevator.

“You must excuse him.” Danny leaned over to Harry “His girlfriend and son are currently away for the week. He’s been tetchy ever since he brought them to the airport.”

Harry nodded “completely understandable.”

Steve rolled his eyes, between Langford and Danny he would not get a moment's peace, he knew that now.

——xx——xx—— 

Working with Langford was not what Steve expected. For once he had an alley when interviewing a suspect, hence why Lucky Morad was hanging over the ledge of a building until he would give them all the information they needed. The Egyptian did not disappoint, he gave them the courier in charge of the Greystone up quickly. A man called Amir Rabbab. Unfortunately, Amir was one step ahead of them, not only did he now possess the world’s most dangerous device in his hands, but also managed to flee the island already. He was on his way to Europe, of all the places to go, of all the places to target, they needed to choose the continent where his two favorite persons currently were? He was in a shit mood before, now he was furious. Tension coiled in his body, the whole flight from Hawaii to Prague. He couldn’t even enjoy the banter between Harry and Danny. He did not know what to do. Should he call Romy? Tell her what was happening. Asking her… asking her to do what? Hide? Fly back? What when the plan was to put a bomb on a plane. A plane he’d ask her to board?

He turned back into the conversation when Danny said “Well you remember when I told you about his family?”

Harry watched Steve’s profile...wondering where Williams was going with this.

“They are in London…”

Ah, there it was, no wonder Commander McGarrett was on edge.

“Would you shut up?” Steve seethed. He didn’t need any more reminders, how much in danger they were.

 

——xx——xx——

 

They made it to Prague in record time, but it was no use. Amir Rabbab had already offloaded the Greystone, the only sliver of good news that they were able to apprehend him.

Harry and Steve had tried to crack the man for the last hour when they got interrupted. “Commander? There's an urgent call for you.”

The urgent call was Chin, several nuclear sites across Europe were reporting a sudden loss on command and control functions.

“We made a model of the nuclear fallout, and given there's no time for evacuations, we're looking at immediate casualties in the thousands, with millions more affected.” Lou continued. “Paris, Munich, London. Steve, this is gonna be Chernobyl times a hundred.”

The moment Lou said London and Munich, the room shifted out of focus for Steve. Romy. Nahele. Her family in Germany. The noise around him vanished, he didn’t hear Danny ending the call nor Klára asking for the next steps. Everything narrowed down to this one thing he needed to find out what’s going on. He needed to stop this!

 

“What's this? What are you doing?” Amir Rabbab panted, trying to scoot back in his chair.

Harry Langford raised his eyebrows, he thought it would take more to get a reaction out of him, not that Steve McGarrett wasn’t intimidating with his murderous expression and the bucket of water and jumper cables, that hinted at what was to come. “Mr. Rabbab, we have, unfortunately, run out of time. Which means your opportunity to engage in a civilized exchange is no longer on the table. And because I am bound to specific rules of conduct, our parley has come to an end. Unfortunately, for you, those same rules don't apply to my friend from the United States.” he gave a flourish, effectively handing over the floor to Steve.

“Last chance, Amir. Where's the hacker with the Greystone?” Steve made the jump cable crackle.

“Cheers, then.” Harry turned around heading towards the door.

“Wait. Wait. Wait. I'll tell you where he is.”

Steve and Harry shared a look who would’ve thought it’d be that easy. Their victory was short-lived, when they found the site the first reactor had gone critical. Steve bent over the laptop, watching a European map lit up like a Christmas tree.

“Whoa, oh. What are you doing? Stop. Let somebody else do this.” Danny fell into his arm before he could press anything.

“Like who?”

“I don't know, like who. Some kind of person who is qualified to do things with computers. Okay? Anyone…” Danny physically needed to push Steve back.

“Hey!”

“I realize you Americans like to solve your problems with brute force, but there's an easier way.” Harry drawled from the side, starting to type on the laptop.

“See? He obviously knows how to work a computer.”

“Uh-oh.”

Danny adjusted the machine gun slung around his shoulder “‘Uh-oh?’ What is that? Is that, uh, is that British for ‘everything's okay' or what?”

“There's a bug implanted. It won't let me shut down.”

Steve saw London light up, he cocked his gun “Watch your eyes.” And shot, once, twice then the rest of his magazine.

“Oh! What the hell is the matter with you?!” Danny shouted.

“I fixed it.” Steve said.

“You fixed it?! Look at the computer. Why would you do something like that? I'm standing right here.” While Steve and Danny argued over the latter handling of the situation, Harry Langford got the all-clear from the others. The reactors were stable again. They were leaving the bunker when Danny suddenly floated the idea of going to London. He was missing Fish & Chips from a little pub Rachel took him to. He tried to lure Steve by driving on the other side of the road and seeing Nahele and Romy. Steve was distracted for a second by Harry Langford speed walking to a parked car. “What's he doing?” he frowned.

“Very strange.” Danny agreed.

“Hey, Langford!” Steve tried to get his attention. But Harry Langford reced away in his car. “Klára. Klára. Where's the Greystone?” Steve turned to their Czech contact.

“Agent Langford said you had it. You don't have it?”

“No. Son of a bitch.” Danny spit out.

The Fish & Chips for Danny needed to wait, it seems that Harry Langford was running a rogue OP after all.

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

Steve rushed through the halls, he had turned around on himself twice already. The Central Crown Court or ‘Old Bailey’ as Harry referred to it was a maze. He checked his watch, he should be able to make it. There it was, he found the right courtroom. The door squeaked, when he opened it. Several eyes turned to him, the only ones he was interested in were Romy’s. He smiled as their eyes met, trying to convey so much in one look. He could see that she was worried, the skin around her fingernails was red and raw.

Romy could not believe that he was here. He looked tired like he hadn’t slept since she left. His subtle nod, as he found a seat, the way his eyes held hers gave her a surge of confidence.

“What happened then?” Ms. Greene prodded her once more.

“I came to it, I was in the ambulance. A friend of mine held my hand. I was admitted to the hospital, a rape kit was done and I was interviewed by you and the police.”

Romy took a breath, Ms. Greene had been direct but kind, guiding her through the questions. She could feel that this was not going to be the case with the Defense attorney. Her knuckles turning white from clenching her hands. She tried to be calm, not to let herself be goaded. She owed it to herself and the woman, who’d pushed for the prosecution, to bring him to justice. She could endure the probing personal question. Has she not been taught that getting into a stranger’s car was a bad idea? Wasn’t she drunk? How could she then say she was drugged? Maybe she consented but couldn’t remember due to being drunk? “Why now Mrs. McGarrett? Shouldn’t you have gotten over it by now? That my client did not want to pursue a relationship with you?”

Romy’s jaw clenched, how dare he. She chuckled darkly “I wish I could tell you that I’ve gotten over it. That I have gotten over the fact that your client roofied my drink, took advantage of me, raped me while I was so out of it that I couldn’t remember my own name. I found ways to deal with it, to not let it define me, no longer thinking that this somehow my fault. I even somehow managed to fall in love again, start a family. But more than anything else, I need to do my part, tell my story so that something like this shall never happen again. I owe it to her” Romy gestured to the woman sitting on the first bench. “I’m sorry. I’m so sorry this happened to you too. That I wasn’t brave enough, that I didn’t fight enough, to stop this from happening to you. I failed you. You deserved better. That’s why I’m doing this.” Romy lifted her chin in defiance. “For her. For myself.”

Steve had never been more proud and I’m love with Romy as in exact that moment. He saw her chin wobble slightly as she raised it, staring down that piece of shit of a man, but she wouldn’t show him weakness. His wife was the strongest person he knew.

Her knees knocked into each other, as she stepped down from the witness box. She did not know how she made it to Steve’s side, without losing her balance. She grasped his hand like it was a lifeline and she was drowning in a choppy sea.

“You’re so strong.” Steve’s whispered to her, his lips resting against her temple. “I’m so proud of you.” Her breath hitched and she could feel the tears gathering in the corner of her eyes.

“What are you doing here?” She hiccuped softly. Why was she shaking so badly? Steve’s other arm pulled further into his side, her frazzled nerves soaked up being close to him. Romy felt like she was swathed in her favourite blanket. She pressed her nose into his neck, breathing him in,. His presence softening the sharp edges of memories that this day had dredged back up the surface.

“That’s quite the story, gorgeous. Better told over a beer and some food.”

Romy smiled watery at him “A pint sounds great.”

——xx——xx—— 

They met up with everyone at a cosy pub, with a little beer garden, perfect for a humid august night in London. Danny finally got his Fish & Chips and Nahele excitingly showed his London pictures to Lauren and Samira. “And then the bridge opened, just like this!” he mimicked the action with his hands. “I can’t believe I got to see this.” He swiped through several photos showing the Tower Bridge opening and closing.

“I’m sorry.” he ducked his head when he realized he’s been going on for 10 minutes about this.

“All good, kiddo.” Lauren laughed, waving his apology away.

“You should have heard your Mum when she met Prince Harry. She would not shut up about it for a day at least.” James sat down another round of pints on the table.

All eyes turned to Romy, who shrugged sheepishly “What? He’s cute.” she took a sip of her beer.

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

The cemetery was peaceful, the birds chirping as Steve made his way past several graves until he spotted Harry standing in front of a white stone cross. The yellow flowers he put down rivaling the sunshine. Steve stood a couple of steps behind him, jaunting a respectful distance not wanting to interrupt

“She was the only one I ever really let in” Harry said softly.

Steve clasped his hands in front of him. “I got one of those.”

“Where is she now?” The spy looked back at Steve, not ready yet to turn away from the gravesite completely.

“Waiting for us.” Steve nodded back toward the car.

Now Harry faced him, a small smile on his face. “You are a lucky chap.”

“That I am.” Steve grinned.

“Any chance she’d leave you for me.” Harry laughed at Steve’s shocked face.

“Ahem, excuse me, if she ever wises up and leaves the Neanderthal. I’ve called dibs.” Danny interrupted. “Also the german Part of your girlfriend has been looking at her watch getting more distressed by the second. We should get going.”

Steve smiled, he could see Romy checking her watch, tapping her fingers, dreading they would be late. Only Steve McGarrett would be able to make the Queen wait.

“Do you think, uh-- I don't want to be insensitive-- do you think she'll have, uh, fish and chips?” Danny asked Harry while getting into the car.

The English agent chuckled “Sorry, mate, I don't think that's her thing.”

“Oh. All right. Oh, well.” Danny tried to not be too disappointed.

“Didn’t you have Fish & Chips yesterday?” Romy looked up from straightening Steve’s tie.

“And?” How could she limit his intake of fish & chips?

“I was thinking more wine and cheese this afternoon.”

“Are you suggesting Gordon’s Wine Bar, Ms. Erhardt?” Harry leaned forward.

“That, I am Mr Langford.” Romy turned in her seat to face the spy and winked at him.

“A woman after my own heart.” He grasped her hand from the middle console. “Are you sure Hawaii the right place for you?”

Romy giggled “I’m very sure, but I’ll keep your offer in mind.”

“Please do.” Harry lifted her hand and pressed a kiss to her knuckles. Making Steve growl and Nahele scowl.

 ——xx——xx——

The ceremony in Buckingham palace was nothing short of magnificent. Romy almost bursting with pride as she watched Steve getting the George’s Cross pinned to his lapel. But that was nothing compared to the face that Nahele made. Romy was sure she could see a tear or two making it down the teenager’s face.

 ——xx——xx——

They congregated on the outside terrace of Gordon’s wine bar. Romy, Harry, and Lauren were organizing their visit like an op. One queued for wine, the other for cheese and Lauren was scouting the terrace for a free table. Steve watched in wonder as Lauren flirted her way onto a table with two single guys. “She’s good” Danny muttered, the bar was heaving with people. They watched how a couple struggled with their cheese and wine in hand trying to find a table. “Tourists.” Romy’s voice made them jump.

“What?”

“Those two.” She nodded to the couple. “Everyone knows you need the table first.” “Tourists” Harry echoed her sentiment, he balanced two massive cheese platters and a couple of baguettes.

“What is this place? Like a secret club or something?” Danny scoffed as they made their way over to Lauren.

“Nah, just not many tourists find this place, so it’s mainly Londoners coming here.” “And everyone not knowing the proper protocol stands out.” Harry finished Romy’s explanation. “Hey chaps!” He greeted the two men at the table, “so kind of you to let us join your table.” He said cheerily. The two men’s expressions soured, Lauren must have left out that her friends weren’t solely female, and drained their glasses pretty quickly, and left. The afternoon turned into evening, and more of Romy’s friends joined them.

“What are we doing now?” Nahele asked while contemplating which cheese to try next.

“Well, how do you all feel about a little detour to Germany?” Romy sipped her wine.

“Germany, the land of beer and sausage? I’m in!” Danny was definitely up for that.

“Umm Danny, I think Romy plans to visit her family.” Lauren dashed his dreams.

“And?”

“Do you want to be there for the big family reunion?”

“Oh Lauren, I’m part of the family.”

“Yeah.” Steve mumbled under his breath “The weird uncle everyone tries to avoid at holidays.” Earning himself a jab in the ribs from Romy.

“It wouldn’t be a family reunion without you.” Romy clinked her glass with Danny.

Chapter 32: Til the landslide brought me down

Summary:

Summary: Serial Killers rarely come alone…Steve and Romy are in for a rough week
Warnings:  Violence, threatened sexual violence, abduction
Episode: Season 7 -  Episode 3 & 4
Songs: Landslide - Fleetwod Mac / You found me - The Fray

Notes:

Hello lovelies, 

Another week  - another chapter. It’s a long one this week.
Just as a heads up, Menstruation will be discussed in this chapter.
Love to read your thoughts on this one.

Enjoy xx

Chapter Text

“I’m just so done with this.” Steve sighed, coffee cup in his hands, he watched Romy hop up onto the kitchen counter.

“I’m sorry Schnuffi.” Romy smiled empathetically. Like a moth to a flame, Steve moved over to her, taking up residence between her legs.

“Thanks.” He kissed her. “I don’t get why Alicia doesn’t want to help. She already got the information on Lau, but now...nothing. And it's not like we are getting anywhere the old-fashioned way.”

“What can I do?” Romy rubbed her thumb over his eyebrow, trying to smooth the worry line that had made a permanent residence on his forehead. Steve looked at her questioning, unsure what she meant. “I hate seeing you like this. You are usually charging ahead, and this has you taking the backseat waiting on someone else to make a move. I know it's been driving you crazy.”

Steve knew she was right, their interlude in London and Germany had been a distraction, a wonderful one. Well if you exclude the trial and the terror attack. It's been great to meet her family face to face and spend some quality time with them. Now that it was over though, the powerlessness was back. Making him itchy in his inability to do anything. He leaned into her caress, trying to soak up his wife's love. “You’re doing it.” He whispered. “But I’d also take dinner with you tonight at our pub.”

Romy smiled and bumped her nose against his playfully “You’ve got a deal. Nahele asked if he can stay at Joel’s tonight anyway.”

“Sounds great.” Steve shuffled even closer, his nose making a path to Romy’s ear and down her neck. His phone ringing interrupted the peace. Steve groaned, forehead falling against Romy’s shoulder.

“McGarrett.” Steve listened to Duke on the other end, with his head still on his wife’s shoulder. He snapped up though when he heard the address of the call. “I’m on my way.”

“Steve, what it is?”

“They found a body in Alicia Brown’s bed.”

“What?” Romy pushed him back a little bit, her eyes wide.

“Not her!” Steve assured her quickly, assuming his previous position snuggled into her neck. “A man, dropped into her bed dead.”

“Fuck.”

“I should probably go.” He mumbled against her skin.

Romy lifted his head from her shoulder “Go. The sooner you deal with this, the sooner you can pick me up from work tonight.”

 ——xx——xx—— 

The scene at Alicia’s house at the North Shore was gruesome, her bed was  completely covered in blood and so was the retired FBI profiler. “Looks like we found another chess piece, Commander.” Noelani held up the pawn with her tweezers. Steve sighed, not another one, with his hands on his hips he turned around. Alicia was standing on her balcony  her back to him, still like a statue. Blood smeared all over her arm.

“Bag it up.”

He came to stand next to her “You ok?” Steve watched her carefully. She didn’t look upset, more resigned than anything else.

“He knows that you came to me for help. So he put me in this game. I promised myself that I wouldn’t get involved. Now I have no choice.”

“I’m sorry that this happened to you, but…”

“You’re not sorry that I’m involved.” Alicia finished his sentence.

“Yeah.” Steve shrugged. It was true, he was glad that she finally agreed to get more actively involved in this case, but he never wanted it to happen like this. He squeezed her hand in what he hoped was a comforting gesture. Alicia’s head snapped down to his hand then back up to him, a smile on her face. She frowned when Steve stepped back, fishing his phone out of his pocket. “Lou?”

“Sure, I am on my way.”

Alicia sighed at this, she would have preferred if he stayed here, with her. Before she could say anything to get him to stay, he already waltzed back into the house, phone firmly pressed against his ear.

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

“Yo.” Lou greeted him and Danny at the next crime scene. “I heard about your morning. How’s Brown doing?”

“Well, for a woman who’s spent her entire adult life hunting serial killers. She’s pretty shaken up.” Steve said, not having forgotten how she reacted when he tried to comfort her.

“She’s invested now that’s good,” Danny added. “Cause we need all the help we can get.

Lou nodded, that was good news indeed. “What about the guy in the bed, you id’ed him?”

“Ben Rhodes. Transient. He’s in the system for a couple of felonies. HPD is retracing his steps. M.E. thinks he was killed inside the house.” Steve shrugged. “We’re gonna know more after the autopsy.”

“What’s up with the crime scene?” Lou lifted the police tape, letting Steve and Danny go through first.

Steve nodded in thanks. “CSU canvassed it, it's clean. They can’t even find evidence of forced entry.”

“Heres what interesting to me.” Danny turned back around. “The guy is not a killer, so why the prawn in the mouth? That should not make sense.”

“Well, it could. Pawns are not always used for attacks. Sometimes you sacrifice a pawn for a purpose no. What if the killer sacrificed Rhodes for a message?”

“Like the game is still on,” Lou answered Steve’s question.

If he’d never have to see a chess piece ever again, Steve would die a happy man.

“What’s going here” Danny pointed to the victim on the ground in front of them, directing their attention back to the case. A DEA Agent was pushed out of a plane by a Cali Cartell Lieutenant, barreling through the roof of a house, the homeowner also shot and the Lieutenant on the run. Steve wanted to scream, where was this day going? He had enough, he was so done with all of this. In his mind, a countdown had started when he could call it a day and pick up Romy.

He just started to sink his teeth into the DEA case, when he got a message from Alicia to meet him in the Medical Examiner’s office.

“Hey, what’s going?” he asked when he met her at the door.

“I had Detective Lau’s body exhumed.” she greeted him and then marched down the hallway.

Wow. What. Hold on a second. “What? Why?” Steve caught up with her.

“Remember how I told that Lai was investigating the three pawns our UnSub used to commit murder?”

“Yes.” Where was she going with this?

“Well, I think that the UnSub was afraid that Lai would eventually get onto him. So, he took him out so that couldn’t happen.”

“Wait. Who…Whoa…Wait. You’re trying to tell me, that you think that Lau’s suicide was staged?” They came to stand next to Detective Lau’s body on the examiners' table.

“I know it was. Lau’s autopsy proved that Lau’s GSW was not self-inflicted”

“Even if that is the case, there is no way that Lau’s murder fits the MO. I mean, there was no chess piece found at his body right?” Steve pointed out.

“Actually the chess piece is the killer's signature, it's not his MO.” Alicia corrected him. “The reason why he didn’t leave a piece behind is cause Lai wasn’t part of the game.”

“Right, and he didn’t want anyone to look into Lau’s case.”

“That's true.”

“I’m gonna reopen the case. But I need you to tell me something first.” Alicia avoided his gaze like Nahele would when he needed to confess something. The hair on the back of the neck prickled.

“What's that?” She asked him way too innocently.

“You’re a private citizen. How on earth did you get the coroner to exhume this body?” Did he actually want to know?

Alicia turned to him, her face moved from innocent to guilty in a second. “I told them that the order came from you and I might have signed a couple documents with your name on it.”

Steve rolled his eyes looking up to the ceiling, wonderful. He was sure there was a call with Governor in his future.

——xx——xx——

 

He hoped Romy had a less stressful day than he did, Alicia called him once more luckily this time he didn’t need to leave his team in a lurch. They had successfully cleared the DEA case, so he met her in front of the HPD main offices. “Detective Lau was seeing a police shrink. Primarily about his work-related stress, but if he talked about his cases, then she might know something. But she’s not gonna hand over her case files to me. I’m nobody.”

They waited in the office of the police psychologist, while Steve took a call from CSU, they had finally finished at Alicia’s house. He checked his watch, as he sat down next to her, he was supposed to pick up Romy for dinner soon. “CSU is done with your place.”

“They can take their time.” Alicia was distracted. “I’m not going home. I have checked into the Hilton indefinitely. Or you know at least until this job’s over so when you get the bill for the robe, just pay it. I deserve it.” She turned to him and smiled.

“Well, I was gonna offer you our couch, but now that I know that you’re a klepto, that’s off the table.” Steve closed his eyes, the day catching up to him. “That was mildly amusing.” He frowned at Alicia when she didn’t react to his joke. “I thought anyway.” he watched her confused as she got up. She completely ignoring his jab, her hand lingered on his shoulder.

“You know what I wondered?” Alicia asked.

“What?” Steve turned to her in his chair to follow her movement across the office.

“Why you never talk about your partner?”

He was confused “My partner? Detective Williams?”

“No.” Alicia shook her head. “Your girlfriend. You only mentioned her once, the first time we met, and then never again.”

“I don’t know what this has to do with this?” Steve made an all-encompassing gesture with his hand.

“As I said I just wondered.” Alicia shrugged. “Having a child, especially fostering one, can put a strain on any relationship, Steve.”

“Are you profiling me and Romy right now?” Steve furrowed his brow, he had no idea where she was going with this.

“Romy.” She rolled the name in her mouth, tried to envision the woman that could hold Steve McGarrett’s attention for an extended period, make him settle down, but her mind drew up blank. “How long have you been together?” She asked slowly, something else had attracted her attention.

“Two and a half ye - What are you doing Alicia?”

Alicia stepped to the bookcase, making Steve follow her. She tapped one of the books. ‘The history of medieval chess’

The two looked at each other. Was it really that easy? The office door was opened swingingly, causing Steve and Alicia to step back from the bookcase quickly.

“My apologies, I’m running a bit behind today.” A woman with long blonde hair, approximately Alicia’s age, extended her hand to them. “You must be Alicia.” the woman shook hands before she turned to Steve.

“And you are?”

“I’m Commander Steve McGarrett.” he could feel her eyes assess him quickly.

“Of course you are. I have heard great things. I’m Madison Gray. How can I help you?”

Dr. Madison Gray set off all the alarm bells between Alicia and Steve, they were however disagreeing how to proceed further. Alicia wanted to charge ahead, putting pressure on Dr. Gray, whereas Steve was keen to take it slow, be more strategic with their approach. In the end, she conceded, letting Steve brief the rest of the team and then they would find proper evidence against the Psychiatrist.

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

“So you decided to shimmy down pipes and race after him and Danny took the elevator and beat you downstair?” Romy laughed so hard she fell against his side.

“You are relishing in my pain, aren’t you?” Steve chuckled into her hair, welcoming her weight against his side.

“When you do something stupid like this? Definitely!” Romy looked up at him through her lashes. She pressed a kiss to his shoulder and sat up again. “What happened after?” She took a sip from her Longboard.

Steve cleared his throat “We played good cop and bad cop with him in the cell and Danny compared him to expired milk and I threatened to shoot him.” Romy looked at him unimpressed.

“I was supposed to be a bad cop.” Steve defended himself.

“You enjoy this way too much.” Romy scolded him good naturally, her hand finding his, playing with his fingers absentmindedly.

“They killed two DEA agents, we take pleasures as they come along.”

She smiled at his defense, of course, they would do anything to bring those assholes to justice.“And then you had Kono shoot them out of a duffle bag?”

“Yep.” Steve was happy that his plan worked, he grinned over at her.

“You know the most exciting thing I did today?” Romy rubbed her forehead, a clear sign of her not feeling the best.

Steve squeezed Romy’s knee affectionally “What was the most exciting thing, gorgeous?”

“They did a photoshoot for the new menu and needed someone to eat the leftovers.” She chuckled darkly “Kinda pales in comparison, doesn’t it?”

“Don’t.” Steve squeezed her fingers intertwined with his. “Don’t do this. I won’t stand for it.” He waited until Romy met his eyes before he continued. “You love your job. You’re good at it. You’re passionate about it. That’s all that matters. Ok?”

“Ok.”

“Where did this suddenly come from?” He wanted to know. “Romy?” Pressing her, when she just shook her head as an answer.

“Something someone said to me.” She pulled a face at herself. “And being all hormonal, bloated and on my period doesn’t help either.”

“It’s a good thing that I dig that in my wife,” Steve said, trying to make her smile.

“Dork.”

“The dork you love.” Steve grinned, relieved when a smile stretched over Romy’s face.

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

Romy reached over the center console to interlace her fingers with Steve’s “So last night was good.” She grinned at him.

“What? Dinner or sex?” Steve grinned right back at her, pressing a kiss to her knuckles.

“Both. But those burgers were especially amazing last night.”

“I’ll remember that for tonight.” Steve poked her side in retaliation. “What do you fancy for brunch?”

Romy groaned “I don’t know! Pancakes or waffles or that baked eggs thingy they do.”

He laughed at her “Well who am I to stand between you and food? Why don’t we get all of the above and share?”

“I knew there was a reason that I love you!”

“I gave you at least two last ni-” Steve’s phone rang over the loudspeaker. It was Alicia, she had broken into Dr. Grey’s house. She found evidence that Madison Gray was the serial killer they were after, Steve beseeched her to get out of there immediately. The retired FBI profiler was nothing if not stubborn and managed to convince Steve to meet her at the house. Romy looked over at Steve skeptical, his voice changed when he talked to Alicia. This wasn’t a normal work call for him, she held onto the car door as he did a U-turn and flipped on the siren. “I’m sorry, but I need to get her.”

“Sure. Sure.”

Steve looked over to her again “You ok? You’re not mad are you?”

“No?” Romy scrunched up her nose “Do I need to worry about her?”

“Romy?” Steve took his eyes off the road for a second.

“You’re close to her. Jumping every time she calls. Giving up other investigations...racing to protect her now instead of calling the HPD to make the arrest seem more legit.”

He turned right onto another street. “Really? You’re asking me this now?” His voice raised with incredulity.

Romy removed her hand from his, creating a distance “I googled her. She’s beautiful. A profiler...accomplished.”

Steve slammed on the brakes when they reached Dr. Gray’s house. “Stay here! I’ll be back in a minute.” With that he jumped out of the car, disappearing into the house. Romy watched his retreating form, he hadn’t answered her question. She groaned at herself. Why would she bring something like this now? Great and in two minutes she’d meet the infamous Alicia Brown. Romy leaned her head on her hand, scrolling through her phone, the breeze ruffling her hair through the open window. She was just about to press send on a text to Kono and Renee when something pricked her arm. She turned around startled, a woman stood next to the car, her arm perched on the open window had a needle sticking out of it. “Wha - “ Everything went black.

——xx——xx——

Steve walked through the house, gun drawn, he called out for Alicia a couple of times but didn’t get an answer. The house was eerily quiet, which didn’t help with the thoughts jumbling through his head. How could Romy think that there was something between him and Alicia? That woman drove him mad, first with not wanting to help and now with charging ahead. He crouched down when he found a phone on the floor, it was Alicia’s. The bloodied and broken screen distracted him, he never heard the threat coming. He fell to the floor with a thud, the pain of a knife sticking in his back took his breath away. ‘Do I need to worry about her?’ Romy’s worried voice the last thing in his mind as he blacked out.

 

 ——xx——xx——

 

In the Palace the team was pacing, Steve was never late and now he wasn’t even responding to their calls. Something was wrong.

“Kono, have you tried Romy?” Lou asked.

Kono had no chance to answer when Nahele rushed through the door. “Do you know where my Mom and Dad are?”

The team shared a look. “What do you mean?” Chin asked.

“I came home this morning, and they weren’t there. They left a note saying they’d be at brunch, but when I got there...nothing.”

“Maybe they went somewhere else?” Chin tried to calm Nahele down.

“No!” Nahele shook his head. “Not for Brunch. It’s Mom’s favorite...we go almost every weekend.”

“Ok.Ok.” Lou walked around the table, putting his hand on Nahele’s shoulder. “Deep breaths, we find them. Maybe they just decided to put in a detour or something.” Not really believing that himself. “Kono, can you run a trace on Steve’s and Romy’s phone, please?”

“Yeah.” Kono stepped up to the computer table and started typing.

“We’ll find them.” Jerry bumped his shoulder with the teenager.

 

 ——xx——xx——

 

Steve let out a blood-curdling scream, as the knife was pulled out of his back. He groaned trying to get his bearings, he knew that noise...high heels on a hard floor...It was the sound of Romy coming home from work. Oh, he wished that was the case right now. His hands and feet bound tightly with tape. He turned to Alicia, she was bound the same way he was. He tried to catch her eyes, making sure she was ok.

Steve’s focus shifted when he heard the water running. Madison Gray stood at the kitchen sink, washing the knife “How’d you get those men to kill for you? Detective Lau was looking at them as suspects in three open homicides. But...I want to know how...how you convinced them to kill for you. Did you threaten to turn them in? That what you did? You make a deal with them? Your silence for a little blood.” He needed to buy them some time, keep her distracted, keep her inside, away from Romy. He was already running late to meet the others at the palace. Romy would call them, asking for backup. “They served their purpose and you got rid of them. You’re a smart woman, Dr. Gray, I’ll give you that. But I don’t think you really thought this through.”

“Oh, I thought about it, trust me.” Madison Gray wiped down her counter diligently.

“Here’s the thing. Your crimes, your crimes consist of killing some really bad men. Serial murderers. But killing cops. Not gonna look too kindly on that.”

“Are you saying that I shouldn’t kill you two?”

“That’s what I’m saying.”

“Okay, then I won’t.”

“She won’t engage in logic. She doesn’t think that way.” Alicia whispered to Steve.

“It has nothing to do with logic. The game isn’t over yet.” Madison Gray interjected, opening a drawer.

“That’s right.” Steve agreed with her. “Not until you get the king and queen, right? So why don’t you tell me doctor, who are the king and queen?”

Steve looked over to Alicia, he saw how she began to lose consciousness again. “Alicia. Alicia, stay awake.” He inched closer to her. “Do not pass out.”

“And here I thought Commander you’d be more worried about your girlfriend?” Madison Gray stepped around him and Alicia on the floor, Steve followed her movements, his back hurt like hell, but this was nothing compared to the blow to his stomach when he saw Romy tied up against the couch, tape over her mouth. She was sweating and her pupils heavily dilated. “Let her go.” Steve tried, he knew it was a lost cause.

“Not really who I’d thought you go for, Commander. Not in law enforcement, not your classical beauty. I’d never pegged you for someone who’d go for the unconventional.”

“Romy, babe. Look at me.” Steve ignored the taunting voice of Dr. Gray, he needed Romy to do the same. “It’s gonna be ok. I promise you.” He could see how she tried to focus on him, but whatever she’d been given made her completely pliable. The hurt in her eyes, cut him deep, he knew how she hated not being in control, that having that taken away from her would hurt her more than anything else.

“Oh, she’ll be ok. She’ll be with someone who’d appreciate her more than you.” Dr. Gray taunted.

“What do you me-“ was the last thing Steve said before she knocked him out with a meat tenderizer.

 

Romy felt more aware of what was going on around her when she heard Alicia and Madison Gray talking, no not talking, analyzing each other. From Gray’s father molesting her while playing chess, and how killing other serial killers was her way to assert control. She listened to Gray turning it back to Alicia, Alicia the control freak, pushing her daughter into a career in profiling until she was killed by a serial killer. Romy’s head was spinning, she had a migraine and she couldn’t discern if it was from the drugs, her period or because she wasn’t wearing her glasses anymore. She could see Steve waking up, after being knocked out for the second time. ‘Come on, Steve.’ She cheered him on in her mind.

“Never play psych games with a shrink, Ms. Brown.” Dr. Gray said coldly.

‘That’s why I hate shrinks.’ Romy thought.

A noise outside made Dr. Gray get up from the dining room chair and out on the lanai. Steve turned over to Romy. “You ok?”

Romy looked at him, the tape on her mouth preventing her to speak, so she hoped her eyes screamed what she thought of his question.

“Oh god,” Alicia whispered, tearing their attention to the terrace. “Oh god. Steve. It’s Donald and Mallory Witten. The FBI has been looking for them for over 10 years.”

“That’s the king and the queen,” Steve whispered.

“Remember when I said I wasn’t going to kill you?” Dr. Gray walked back into the house. “Well, I’m not. They are.”

A man and woman appeared next. “Let’s go.” The woman said. The guy leaning down grabbing Steve’s arm. He started to struggle.

“Tsk. Tsk. Commander.” his head whipping around to Dr. Gray. She pulled a needle out of Romy’s arm, making her collapse into herself.

“What are you giving her?” He ground out.

“Just something to make her sleep. Don’t worry, I wouldn’t want to harm her.” The next thing he saw was a gun pointed at Romy’s temple. Her temple, which he kissed, whispered against, massaged, tasted countless times, had now a gun pressed against it. “You don’t want to harm her either, do you?” She didn’t wait for an answer. “Then I suggest you go quietly.”

Everything within him was vibrating with fury, with fear. For as long as he lived, he would never forget how a gun looked pressed against the head of his wife. He had no choice, he’d never be able to save her now. His team must be on their way. They would get to her. He needed to trust them to save her. He turned around one last look. Romy’s head had rolled forward, she has been knocked out again, her hair falling around her, hiding her face. Her beautiful face.

He was propelled forward and pushed into the back of a van. He had no idea for how long they were driving when the couple divulged their plan. They were meant to drown, making Alicia’s worst fear come true. Steve tried everything to convince them that Madison Gray was setting them up, but they wouldn’t listen. How was he supposed to get out of here, to get to Romy if they wouldn’t listen?

His face must have shown the agony and frustration that he felt because Alicia whispered a heartfelt apology. He shook his head at her, he couldn’t deal with her now, couldn’t absolve her from the guilt she felt. When the last proper conversation he had with his wife wasn’t one in love but in annoyance. Because of her.

The van stopped suddenly and the back doors opened, Donald Witten cut the tape around his feet and pointed Steve’s gun at him “Let’s take a walk.” They left Alicia behind in the van and made him walk towards the cliff.

“We don’t want you to feel left out Commander.” Mallory Witten smiled at him, and then she pulled her phone, pressing play on a video. Steve squinted against the sun and the low quality on the video, but he could hear Madison Gray’s stony voice clearly “She isn’t the youngest anymore, but she got some child-rearing hips that will make the men very happy.” The camera swung to the right, he could faintly make out Romy tied up and curled into herself. Cold washed over him, like an icicle piercing straight into his heart.

“You want to say goodbye? Some last parting words to the man who chooses to save another woman?”

Steve wanted to vomit, this was not only his worst fear but Romy’s too. An all-encompassing rage hit him. How dare they? He whirled around hitting the gun out of Donald Witten’s hands, knocking him to the ground. He was on his knees, trying to find his gun, when Mallory hit him with the barrel of his gun, making him see stars.

“Please don’t do that again.”

They walked him over to a hole in the cliffs, the waves powerful as they flooded the cave below him. Before Steve could react even further they pushed him in.

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

Romy shivered as she slowly regained consciousness. She wasn’t in the house anymore, she was in a car. She barely felt the hands that pushed and shoved her out of it. The grip harsh on her arm, she tried to recognize where she was but whatever she got injected with still hadn’t worn off. It was hard to focus on anything but how to walk. She was pushed into complete darkness, her knees making contact with the ground painfully. She flinched as the light blinded her for a second. “She isn’t the youngest anymore, but she got some child-rearing hips that will make the men very happy.” She curled into herself, trying to forget the sentence as soon as she heard it.

“You want to say goodbye? Some last parting words to the man who chooses to save another woman?” Romy shivered again as she felt the heat of another body next to her, a finger touched her neck, tilting her face into the camera. Disgust surged through her, struggling to breathe calmly when she recognized Dr. Gray holding the phone. “When he finds you. He’ll kill you.” She spat at her.

“Oh my dear, he’ll never find me. And he’ll never find you either. If he isn’t dead already.” As quickly as she came, Dr. Gray had vanished again.

Leaving her alone and bound in a box somewhere. Her hips were sore and the area around her left eye smartened like hell, Romy couldn’t remember if she’d been hit.

The binding around her hands and feet did not stop Romy from trembling, her breaths coming in short succession. She tried to calm herself down, trying not to imagine, what all of this meant for her. What child-rearing hips and making men happy would mean for her future. She couldn’t stop the tears. She wasn’t made for this, she wasn’t trained for this like Kono, Steve, Lou, Danny, Chin, or ... she could taste bile in her mouth or Alicia Brown. She had never dealt with serial killers, had never fired a gun until Steve showed her. How she never needed to ‘Mac Gyver’ herself out of hopeless situations.

No one even knew where she was.

No one was looking for her.

No one would.

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

Steve had Alicia clinging to him like a lifeline, while he tried to keep them both above water. The waves pushing them down the water earlier on must have scared her shitless. He didn’t have time for her to find her bearings though, he needed to get out there.

He framed her face talking to her intently “I gotta find us a way out of here. Okay. I’m gonna get back under. You’re gonna stay here.”

Alicia nodded frantically. “Ok.” she was shivering in the water.

“I’ll be back. All right. You’re not gonna go anywhere, right?”

“I don’t think. I’m going anywhere.” She managed a smile.

“All right. Good Girl. Okay.”

“Steve! Steve!” Alicia shouted for him, as soon as he let her go.

“What is it. I’m right here.” He tried to sound calm, he really did, but he didn’t think he succeeded when the next words out of Alicia’s mouth were “I’m sorry.”

“You can make it up to me when we get out of here, all right?”

She nodded at that and finally let go of his arm. Steve took a deep breath and dove through to the next cave, trying to find anything that would help them get out of here. He managed to find a long sea algae but by the time he crossed back to the cave, Alicia was gone.

“Alicia! Alicia!” His echoes were drowned out by the waves crashing into the cave. She must have been pushed under, Steve took another deep breath and dove back down again. There she was, floating unconscious in the water. He managed to pull her up, in the small space of air remaining between water and stone. He pressed his mouth to hers, getting her to breathe again. They needed to get out of here.

The plan was for him to climb out first and then he would pull her up. Steve hoped she would manage to stay afloat when another wave came. He could see the top of the cliffs already, almost there. He could hear sirens howling when he made out of the cave and he wanted to weep in relief.

Kono and Chin engaged the Witton’s in a firefight, while pulled Alicia out of the cave. She collapsed onto the stones, holding onto his hand for dear life.

“Come on.” he helped her off the ground and made his way over to Chin and Kono.

“Steve!” Chin shouted as he saw his friend and Romy making their way slowly over to them, their hands in a tight clasp. He ran towards them, he stopped short when he realized, that woman wasn’t Romy. “Steve!”

“You good?” Kono had followed him.

“Here, take her.” Steve passed Alicia off to Kono.

Chin clasped his friend on the back “Let’s get you dry. We got Steve and Alicia. They’re ok.” he said into the Comms.

“You guys got Romy?” Steve panted out.

“No.” Chin shook his head. “We thought she was with you?” Kono handed Alicia a blanket to dry off with.

“She…She took her.” Steve shivered, his heart threatening to leap straight out of his heart. Alicia saw how he trembled and held out the corner of her blanket to him, but Steve ignored her. His chest tightening with every breath he took. He stormed over the bodies of Mallory and Donald Witton.

“Where is his phone?” Steve pressed out.

“Come on Steve. Take a breath.” Chin tried to calm him down.

“Don’t!” he shook off Chin’s arm, kneeling down next to Donald patting him for his phone.

“Why do you need his phone?” Chin joined him on the ground, trying to get Steve to look at him.

“Need to find it…need…”

“Steve!” Chin shouted, making his friend look up at him. “Talk to me.”

“She has her.”

“Come on, man. I need more than that.” he pleaded with Steve.

“They kill you with your greatest fear.” Chin realized that the shaking of Steve’s hands had nothing to do with being in the water for so long. He was scared, something had utterly terrified Steve and it was on that phone. “Drowning was Alicia’s” Steve jerked his head behind him, where Kono stood next to Alicia, assisting her into the ambulance. “And mine” Steve pulled the phone out of the killer's pants, he turned it over to Chin. He couldn’t watch that video again. A shiver went through his body, as Chin pressed play “She isn’t the youngest anymore, but she got some child-rearing hips that will make the men very happy.” Steve managed to bring two steps distance between him and Chin before he started retching.

“Steve…Chin?” Kono jogged over to them, rubbing Steve’s back. “What’s going on?” Without a word of explanation, Chin pressed play again on the video, holding the phone in Kono’s line of sight. Her face drained of all color. Oh, God! That was not happening. Please this couldn’t be true. “You want to say goodbye?” the voice in the video droned on. “Some last parting words to the man who chooses to save another woman.”

“When he finds you, he’ll kill you.” Romy’s voice sounded tinny over the phone’s audio, shaken and scared.

“Oh, sweetheart he’s already dead. Drowned together with Ms. Brown. No-one knows you’re here, nobody will miss you for a long time. And by the time someone does, you’ll be traded off twice already.”

“Turn it off.” Steve bit out, he couldn’t listen to it anymore, hear Romy have so much fate in him when it was his fault…all of this was his fault. What if he was too late? What if she already…

“Get Jerry on it. I want a location!” He shouted, fear radiating through his body and voice. He was ready to make someone pay.

Chin floored it back to the palace, while Kono was on the phone with Jerry trying to get a head start on locating where Romy was being held, but he had no luck.

Steve pushed his hand over the back of Kono’s seat, demanding the phone from her “Jerry! I don’t give a fuck, if you need to hack onto CIA Servers. Get me the location of this container within the next 5 minutes.” He threw the phone back into Kono’s lap, and she checked it carefully, she was sure Steve must have cracked her screen with the sheer force of him hanging up on Jerry.

“Dude.” Chin looked at him through the rearview mirror. “We will find her.”

Steve clenched his jaw, not answering, he couldn’t, if he opened his mouth then all of his thoughts would spill out, all his doubts, all his guilt, all his fear. They sped over the island and made it to the palace in record time. Jerry welcomed them back with bad news, he couldn’t find the location and there was no way to track the video. There was no trace and no lead to who had Romy nor where she was being held. They were thorough, Steve chuckled bitterly, hitting our greatest fears together. He changed into dry clothes in his office, his eyes never leaving the photo of Romy on his desk. ‘I’ll find you, Gorgeous. I never stop searching.’ He lifted his fingers to his lips and then pressed them to the cold picture frame.

A commotion outside made him jerk his head up. No, please no. What the fuck is Sang Min doing here? He really did not have the patience for him now. Steve opened the office door just in time to hear their sometimes informant say, “So I heard, you might have lost something precious.” His heartbeat kicked up, red, that was all that he saw, red.

“Man come on. That isn’t helping.” was the next thing Steve heard, with Lou pulling at his arm. Steve blinked slowly and his surroundings came back into focus. His forearm pressed against Sang Min’s throat, with the informants' feet dangling inches above the floor. He let his forearm relax, giving Sang Min the chance to breathe again.

“Jeez man, if that’s how you treat your informants no wonder” a gun pressed to his temple made Sang Mon swallow.

“You have one chance, or I blow your brains out right here, right now. Talk.” Steve’s eyes were murderous.

Kono, Chin, Jerry, and Lou stood behind him, their hands on their weapons the moment Steve pulled his. They had never seen Steve like this before. He had always a handle on his temper and his brute force, but not today.

“He’ll do it too.” Chin rubbed his hands, he knew Steve would shoot Sang Min. He’d hate himself afterward, but Steve would sacrifice everything for Romy, well not Nahele but everyone and everything else without a doubt.

Sang Min realized that this was not the time to be his usual self if he wanted to make it out of here alive. Someone had called him, an old contact, getting someone off the island. It needed to happen now, quickly and quietly, price was not a concern. He went and checked it out. “I recognized her. Romy.”

“You sure?” Steve pressed his gun into Sang Min’s temple.

“She was wearing that bracelet.”

Her bracelet. The star. His North Star.

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

Romy had no idea how much time had passed. How could she be shivering when it was so hot? The air was heavy around her, stale like in Nahele’s room when he forgot to air it out for more than two days. Her wrists were hurting, the binds cutting into her flesh. She tried to think, come up with ways to get out of there, but her mind had been blank. The only thoughts were dark, what if Steve didn’t find her in time? Would she ever see him again? Nahele? Oh god her baby would lose another parent. How could she be so stupid? Getting attacked from behind in the daylight, and dragged into a house. That was the last time she saw Steve. He had a knife in his back. Romy shuddered at the thought. He needed to be ok. She needed him to be ok. It was so dark around her.

Her mind drifting back to the words Dr. Gray taunted her with earlier on. ‘Child - Rearing Hips’ ‘Trading her off twice.’ Her breath came in short puffs, she didn’t want to imagine where they were going to send her. Sell her off to. A puppy - mill for women? Where she was kept pregnant and her babies being sold off to couples who couldn’t have their own? Or handed over from rich couple to the next? She was scared. Was this Karma’s punishment for her? She didn’t speak up against her rapist and let other women suffer at his hands so now she should suffer too?

What if Steve was really dead? What if he chose Alicia Brown over her? She was more helpful to him in any case. What could she do? She wasn’t a police officer, or in the military, or an FBI profiler. And the only things her contacts could get her were cheap hotel rooms and not vital intel during investigations. She was so useless.

‘Please, Steve. Please come.’ Romy rocked forth and back. She could feel something sliding down her legs. Her head fell against the wall, she wasn’t spared any humiliation today, her tampon was leaking. She couldn’t hold in the sobs, this was the last straw. She tried to scoot back, trying to find a spot that didn’t feel sticky.

——xx——xx——

A loud noise against the outside of the container made Romy jerk up again. Her eyes were wide, breath coming too quickly. What was happening? The door was wrenched open, letting sunlight flood the dark box she spend the last hours in.

“Romy!” Steve shouted and stormed inside. “Romy!” he fell to his knees right in front of her.

“Steve.” she sobbed out.

“I’m here. I’m here.” He cradled her face in his hands, pressing his lips to hers. “I’ve got you.” He fumbled for his knife in his vest, cutting the tape on her wrists and ankles. Steve ran his hands along Romy’s arms and face, carefully checking for any injuries. He could see a bruise already forming around her left eye, swelling manifesting in red angry lines down the side of her face. He tried to keep the fury out of his eyes, but if he ever got his hands on Madison Gray, he could not guarantee anything. Steve’s eyes never left Romy’s and they just breathed heavily together for a moment. “I’m so sorry.” He mumbled.

Romy shook her head “I knew you’d come.” Her voice was full of conviction.

How could she still believe in him so much, after everything that happened today? After everything, he put her through. “I’d have turned every single stone on this planet to find you.” Steve did not manage to conceal the panic in his voice, did not even want to entertain the thought of him not being able to find her. He continued to run his hands over her arms like he was trying to keep her warm in the already stifling Hawaiian evening air.

Steve gathered her up into his arms, pulling Romy into his chest. Romy curled into him, pressing her face into the crook of his neck. “I’ve got you, gorgeous.” When he stood up with her in his arms, he noticed the small dark spot on the floor. “Are you hurt. Are you bleeding?” he asked her urgently, feeling utterly helpless once more. He could feel Romy shake her head against his neck. “Talk to me, please.” He pleaded with her.

“My tampon…I’m leaking,” she whispered mortified.

“It’s ok…it’s ok.” Steve carried her outside. The daylight making her bruises stood out even more.

“Hey girl!” Kono ran over to them. “Paramedics are over there.” she guided them to the ambulance. Her hand holding onto Romy’s tightly. Relief was a too weak word of what she felt, seeing her best friend alive. She stayed with Romy, while she was being checked out and Steve was reluctantly called away to Chin and Lou going over some evidence. “I’ve got her Steve. She won’t leave my sight.”

“I’ll be right back.” Kono averted her eyes when Steve kissed Romy intensely.

——xx——xx——

He hadn’t left Romy for more than 5 minutes when she slipped out of his grasp again. He watched the lights of the ambulance disappearing into the evening. Whoever authorized that ambulance to leave without him in it, was going to be trouble.

“Steve!” he turned around to the voice. Abby was standing next to Chin’s car waving him over. “Come on. I drive you.”

Abby did not even bother to try to keep up as Steve stormed into the hospital, she did however get to hear his screams at the E.D. reception desk.

“I don’t give a fuck!”

Abby raised her eyebrows, she had never seen Steve like this, completely out of control panicked.

I want to see my wife.” The nurse talked to him intently. “For the third time. Her name is Romy Erhardt - McGarrett. She came here 5 minutes ago. Where the fuck is my wife!”

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

 

Chapter 33: Your shit, is my shit

Summary:

Summary: Trying to piece their life’s together after a trauma ain’t easy. Especially when they get constantly interrupted by cases and retired FBI profilers

Warnings:  violence, the aftermath of trauma, panic attacks

Episode: Season 7 -  Episode 5 & 6

Notes:

Hello, lovelies,

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend. Please enjoy the next slice of Romy & Steve. I promise we’ll leave somber times behind soon.

Your feedback means the world to me!

Enjoy xx

Chapter Text

 

——xx——xx——

“Steve!” Kono poked her head out of an exam room. She closed the doors behind her when she saw her boss running over to her. With a stony expression, she turned to face her boss.

“You need to take a breath, Steve!” She pushed him back slightly, away from the door.

Steve was breathing heavily, his nostrils were flaring, almost vibrating with unreleased energy still coursing through his body. “You do know I’m your boss.”

Abby hovered behind him with bated breath. She would have not dared to stand in the way of a raging Steve McGarrett. She was waiting for an outburst similar to the one at the E.D. reception. She had not anticipated Kono though, the woman looked Steve up and down, her arms crossed over her chest defiantly. “Yes and that’s my friend in there. She’s scared and not with it. And you barging in, being all aneurysm face and Rambo mode” Kono made up sweeping gesture over his appearance, still in tac gear and his rifle slung over his chest, two handguns holstered “ain’t gonna help her calm down. I’m serious. You need to be in control of yourself before I let you in this room.” Kono stared him down.

For a second Abby thought Steve was going to ignore Kono and charge right past her. He drew himself up in front of her, Abby stepped forward just in case. She didn’t need to worry, the next second Steve deflated right in front of them.

“Please...” he whispered, he needed to see her, he didn’t think his heart was able to beat one more time if he wasn’t able to put his eyes on her. He started grabbing at his vest, his weapons, trying to get them off him. They wouldn’t budge like they were glued to his body. He needed them gone, he couldn’t go see Romy until he shed them. He was getting desperate, clawing at his body. Why weren’t they getting off?

“Let me.” A clear voice, cutting through his jumbled thoughts. He looked up, Abby stood in front of him, holding out her hands, offering her help. Steve nodded, allowing her to step closer, helping him remove the gear he was wearing.

“There you go,” Abby said as she snapped his vest loose, the last piece of weaponry finally of him. “I’ll bring it to the palace.”

Steve nodded, his eyes trained to the door. Inhale. Exhale. His hand reached the doorknob, no longer guarded by Kono. He turned to her sharply “Nahele.” He breathed out. How could he have forgotten his son? Who must be going out of his mind with worry?

“He’s with Renee. We got him.” Kono assured him.

Steve nodded jerkily.

Good.

Good.

He could do this.

The sight inside the room took his breath away. Romy in a hospital gown stood next to the window, her feet bare as she leaned heavily on the IV pole next to her. Her hair was a mess of matted curls, her exhaustion billowed around the room. She turned around when the door closed behind him with a thud. The dark bruise had stretched down her cheek, the side of her face red with swelling. Only worse than seeing her beaten face was the defeated look in her eyes, like she wasn’t quite sure what had happened, almost as if the drugs still had a hold on her. Steve stood completely still, stared at her for a heartbeat or ten. He had thought he’d lost her. But here she was.

Alive.

Romy slowly followed his movements, watching him take one step then another, closer to her. She held his gaze, willing him to speed up, that she needed to be his arms. Even if she could not say it aloud, her mouth not able to form the words. Finally, he reached her, his hand grazed her shoulder moving slowly up her neck, cradling her jaw. Romy let out a shuttered breath, her eyes sliding close at his caress. Steve knew he should go slow, be tentative with his movements, but when Romy’s breath hitched again, he couldn’t help himself. He crushed her to him, her face finding a home in the crook of his neck. He could feel her heart beating against his chest, her fingers clenching into his t-shirt.

“Don’t let go.” She whimpered, tears forming a small wet patch on his shoulder.

“Never.” Steve’s hand moved from her hip to the back of her head, his fingers in her hair. “Never letting go.”

The sob wracking through Romy tore at them both. Steve tightened his hold on her “I’m right here. I found you.” His hand on her face, pushing back a little staring into Romy’s eyes. Willing her to believe every word he said. Her eyes were full of tears. Seeing her like this, broke him. “We’re okay.” He pressed a kiss to her forehead, hoping that this was ok. He didn’t need to worry, Romy’s entire body lost its rigid tension at his gesture, collapsing into him. Steve nudged her nose with his, keeping a soft hold of her cheeks he slanted his lips over Romy’s, sinking into a deep kiss.

A little while later a nurse interrupted their moment, bustling Romy back into bed. An argument broke out when she tried to inject something into her IV. “Please, please don’t. Please.” Romy begged.

In all their time together he had never heard her that desperate. Hearing her beg like this, tore at the wound in his heart, that had just started to scab over when he had her in his arms. “Does she really need it?” Steve perched on Romy’s bed, holding her to him.

“It’s nothing bad, just to make you sleep, Hunny. You went through some big trauma. Your body needs to heal.” The nurse tried to empathise. “Sleeping means healing.”

Steve’s eyes jumped from the nurse to Romy and back again. Unsure of what to do. Romy’s pleas broke his heart all over again, but he wanted her to heal. To wake up again, to feel better. He grasped her hand in his “I’m here. I stay right here while you sleep.”

Her bottom lip quivered “You promise?”

“I promise.” He pressed his lips to her knuckles. “I will not let go the entire time.”

The nurses injected the pain killers and squeezed his shoulders in thanks before leaving the room. “The Doctor will come by in a bit.”

——xx——xx——

The next time Romy woke up with a gasp. It was dark again around her. Did she only dream, that Steve found her? No, she was laying on something soft, no longer a cold metal floor. She felt a movement next to her, she squinted slightly, her glasses still nowhere to be found. Steve sat in an armchair, pulled right next to her bed, his hand still holding hers.

He had not let go.

“Hey.” Romy a little tremble accompanying her whisper. Steve’s eyes shot open instantly, a relieved smile stretched over his face “Hey.”

Romy pulled at their hands, pressing a kiss to his sweaty palm, proof that he never let go of her. “What are you doing in that chair?” She murmured against his hand.

Steve smiled at her pout, he leaned forward brushing her hair back “You have no space in your bed.”

Romy frowned, she wasn’t that much of a bed hog was she? Steve’s soft chuckle made her frown even more. “Take a look, gorgeous.”

“Huh?”

Steve guided her head to the other side, she was still not quite with it, he realised. The drugs given to her by Madison Gray, plus whatever they had injected into her IV earlier on were still active in her system. The back of his fingers stroked down the side of her face as her eyes filled with tears again.

“Oh, my baby,” Romy whispered.

Shuffled on the edge of her bed lied Nahele, his arm slung over Romy’s waist and his face pressed against her arm, she could feel his breath puffing out against her bare skin.

“He refused to go home.” Steve perched now on the other side of her bed, his hand never leaving her face. “I tried really. How did you do it, when I was shot?”

“It’s ok.” Her voice was still a bit raw. “I don’t know. Maybe they just felt sorry for me.”

“Oh, believe me, I was much more pathetic than you could ever be,” Steve said. “Hey, hey, hey. Slow down there.” He interjected when Romy struggled to sit up. “Let me help you.” Steve slid his arms behind her and helped her sit up, careful not to tangle the IV line and other cables connecting Romy to the monitors around them.

Nahele slid from her arm to her stomach, buried himself closer to her. “Unbelievable.” Steve marvelled at his sons' ability to sleep through everything.

“Better?” He turned back to Romy.

“Yeah,” she tangled their fingers together, her other hand finding Nahele’s hair. “I’ve got my men here. The only thing that would make things even better, is getting out of here.”

Steve watched her trying to bat her eyelashes at him, her swollen eye not cooperating with her at all. Seeing her struggle, left him furious once more, furious at Madison Gray, at Alicia, at himself. “You’re staying here for as long as the doctor deems it necessary.”

“What?” Romy looked up in shock, this was not the answer she expected. Usually, it was him wanting to get out of a hospital within seconds of stepping foot in it, didn’t matter what kind of injuries he had.

“You have a fractured eye socket. They want to do another X-ray to see if they need to operate.”

“Wunderbar.” Romy rolled her eyes.

“You're getting that x-ray. Please don’t argue with me.” Steve pleaded if she did argue, he’d cave a like a house of cards.

“Ok, ok.” She played with his fingers. “How are you?”

“I’m fine.” Steve tried to misdirect.

Romy shot him a look “You had a knife sticking out of your back and were knocked out with a fucking meat tenderiser.”

Now he rolled his eyes at her “Well we need to give Madison Gray something, she really didn’t intend to hurt or kill me.”

Romy blew him a raspberry, making Steve chuckle at her childishness. “You know behaving like a toddler isn’t going to get you out of here any quicker.”  That earned him a poked out tongue.

“I love you.” Steve kissed her forehead.

“I love you too.”

“So you gonna stay for that x-ray?”

Romy slumped back into her pillows. “If I must.” She lamented.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Lucky for Romy her eye socket did not need surgery and she was able to leave the hospital the next day. After settling in at home, Romy seriously considered packing it in and going back to the hospital. Both Nahele and Steve had mutated to a cross between a nurse and a prison guard. On Day two of her recuperation, Romy managed to negotiate some alone bathroom time.

“You need to get me out of here.” She whispered urgently.

“What?” Kono frowned on the other end.

“I’m a prisoner in my own home. You need to get me out of here.”

Kono giggled “Is Steve driving you crazy?”

“It's not Steve.”

“What?”

“It’s Nahele. He hasn’t let me out of his sight since Sunday. Steve allowed him to take three days off school.”

“Wow you really have no way out, do you?”

Before Romy could answer, a knock could be heard in the bathroom “Mama? Are you ok?”

“I’m right out, kiddo.” She called out and could hear Kono’s chuckle while her friend hung up the phone. With a sigh, Romy pushed herself off the floor and opened the door. Nahele was pacing the length of the bed, clearly agitated, he hadn’t noticed Romy stepping back into the room. She leaned against the door jamb, watching him for a second. She hated how hard he was taking the whole situation.

“Hele.” She grabbed his hand when he wouldn’t look up. “I’m here. What’s going on?”

“You weren’t downstairs...there was no note...I couldn’t find you...and Dad isn’t here...” Jumbled out of his mouth. Romy closed her eyes, one day, one fucking day and her whole family was in shambles. She tugged at his hand, forcing Nahele to sit down with her on the bed.

“Dad is with Lou, I think they found his truck.” She forced his eyes to meet hers. “And I’m here. Steve found me.”

Tears were swimming in Nahele’s eyes, unable to hide how scary that day was for him, how scary it still is. “I thought you’d never come home again.”

“I’ll always come home to you.” Romy brushed the tears away, that made their way down his cheeks.

“You can’t promise that.” Nahele pursed his mouth “I’m not a baby. You and Dad get hurt constantly. What am I going to do if one day you are not coming home?”

“We’re not getting hurt constantly.” She rebutted, eliciting a scoff from Nahele.

“C’mon Mama. Dad got shot and there’s rarely a week he doesn’t get in a fight you don’t need to patch him up from. And you were in a car accident and now this.”

Romy pressed her lips together trying hard not to smile at her son’s indignation. “Kiddo, I was just at the wrong time at the wrong place. And do you really think that your Navy Seal Dad and German Mom haven’t planned for any and every eventuality?”

Nahele shook his head, Romy and Steve were nothing if not planners. “I don’t want Plan B.”

“Me neither” Romy squeezed his cheek “but it’s there should we ever need it. Now, how about we get some shave ice?”

“Awesome!” Nahele shot off the bed. “And don’t think about driving, Mom!” He hollered back at her.

“Yeah. Yeah.” Romy grumbled following him down the stairs.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy sat up with a start, suddenly she couldn’t breathe anymore. Her breaths stuck somewhere in her lungs, she was getting dizzy, the bed underneath moving. Her chest getting tight, she tried to grab the bedspread, anything to anchor herself, to not lose herself in the spinning around her.

A touch to her back startled her. Startled her so much it allowed her to breathe again. Oxygen filling her lungs, filling it too quickly, the rush in her head all-consuming. Her vision tunnelled. She tried to concentrate on Steve’s face in front of her, his voice “Breathe with me.” His voice sounded so much slower than normal. He pressed his hand against her chest, trying to get Romy to copy his inhales and exhales “Gorgeous. Come on breathe with me. In and out. In and out.”

He took her hand to press it against his chest when Romy couldn’t get into the rhythm. Steve was scared, seeing her like this. Woken up by a nightmare, unable to breathe, because of him, this was not how their life was supposed to be. Romy could not tell for how long they sat together like this, her trying to copy Steve’s breathing pattern, slowing down her raging heart and pulsing brain.

They laid back down, Steve held her close to his chest. “I think you should see someone.”

“See someone?” Romy tipped up her head. “I thought being married meant I’m seeing you?”

“I mean someone professional to help with the nightmares.” He mumbled against her temple.

“You want me to go to a therapist?” Romy cried out, trying to push him back.

Steve held onto her, not ready to let go of her “Yes.”

“After everything the last shrink did to us? To me?” She pleaded with him. He couldn’t mean it, he wouldn’t make her do that.

“Gorgeous, please. For me.” He cradled her back to him, carding his hands through her hair.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy got out of the cab at Kamekona’s, spying the Five-0 team sitting already at one of the tables. “Hey, guys!” She greeted them with a smile bounding up to the guest of honour and enveloped Adam in a big hug. “It’s so good to see you.”

“Good to see you too!” He kissed her cheek in greeting.

Kono started to read out the text messages she got including one from Sang Min, prompting Danny to roll his eyes “Classy.” At the informants' suggestive message. Romy watched Steve and Chin step away from the table for a moment, she frowned, the last time the two of them were all secretive was when Gabriel tried to sow mistrust between Chin and Adam.

What was going on?

The two men returned to the others the moment, Flippa started serenading Kono and Adam. Romy leaned back against Steve, closing her eyes when Steve started swaying with her softly. Flippa really had a wonderful voice.

Her little bubble burst when she felt something vibrate against her hip. Steve sighed heavily, kissing her cheek and got up to take the call. “Copy that. We’re right on our way.”

“Sorry to break up the party. We gotta go.” Steve leaned down to kiss Romy goodbye. “I’ll see you tonight.”

“So sorry babe. I’ll be back as soon as I’m done.” Kono couldn't believe it, today of all days, they got a case.

She didn’t realise how Romy elbowed Steve in the stomach, causing him to double forward catching himself on her shoulder. He must have gotten the hint so, he masked his groan of pain into a “Nuhu.” He rightened back up “No, no, no. You’re not going anywhere. It’s your day. Take the day. Good to see you.” he smiled at Adam.

Kono smiled hesitantly “You sure?”

“Did you not just hear the man serenade to you?” Lou nodded to Flippa. “He didn't sing ‘Come with us’. We call you when we need you.”

“Enjoy your quality time,” Danny added. All of them got up and left the couple at the table on their own.

“Romy, even you?” Kono shouted after her friend.

“Sorry, hun! Not really into threesomes.” Romy shouted back with a laugh.

“You better not!” Steve growled beside them and lifted her up, planting her in front of him, eliciting a giggle from his wife. Romy looped her arm around his neck and pulled him down to her. Her other hand shielding them from Danny, Lou and Chin, as she kissed him thoroughly. Romy relished his silly side since their run-in with Madison Gray, all of his touches had been light and careful, this was refreshing.

“How are you getting home?” Steve asked.

“The same way I got here. I’ll take a cab to the hotel.”

He did not look pleased with her answer at all. He hated that she was back at work already, it hadn’t even been a week yet. She still isn’t sleeping properly. He just wanted to wrap her bubble wrap and keep her at home. Safe.

“Don’t start with me, Steve.” Romy pleaded. “You don’t have a leg to stand on.” She poked his chest.

“Ok. Ok.” Steve relented “Only 4 hours though. I will track your phone.”

Romy raised her eyebrows at that. “Just say ok,” Steve begged.

“Ok.” She relented. “I’ll see you at home.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

Steve knew that the little reprieve he had at Kamekona’s was too good to be true. Romy was in a way too good mood after the night they had and now they were trying to apprehend a man who fought the war against guns with guns.

He couldn’t believe Danny, a magnet to suck up all the guns. He would be facepalming if he wasn’t driving at the moment.

“How about if we just don't let the bad guys have any guns? Then the good guys won't need any guns, and nobody needs any guns, how about that?” Danny baited him once more.

“And you know what else? While we're at it, we can eliminate discrimination, war, hatred, violence, all that kind of stuff.” Steve rose to the bait. “We'll all live happily ever after, and we can, uh, you know, ride our unicorns to work every day.” He continued to rant.

Danny snorted at that. How could Romy argue with this man regularly? “And you'd probably commandeer my unicorn, and drive it to work every day.”

“And guess what? If you had a gun, you could stop me.” Steve tried to finish the argument. He really couldn’t argue with Danny too. “Stop it, would you? I don’t need attitude from you right now.”

Danny frowned “I thought we’re arguing, a back and forth. I ain't giving you attitude.”

“I get enough attitude at home.” Steve breathed out, it was the first time he’d admitted that something wasn’t quite right.

“What’s going on?” Danny switched gears immediately, it wasn’t often that Steve opened up like that. “Everything alright with Romy?”

“It’s been difficult.”

Danny watched his friend carefully “You guys went through something traumatic. I don’t believe anyone would expect that you get over this within days.”

Steve shook his head “It’s not that…we agreed to see someone.”

“She’s got you to agree to see a shrink?” Danny was impressed.

“That was her condition, if she got to see one, then I got to see one too.”

“Clever girl.” Danny complimented, earning himself a scoff from Steve.

“If she were so clever, she wouldn’t have the stupid notion that Alicia Brown has the hots for me.” Steve blurted out, taking his eyes off the road swiftly to see Danny’s reaction. His partner tilted his head from side to side but didn't say anything. “What?”

Danny shrugged “She is kinda right.”

“What do you mean?” Steve was astonished, Danny was supposed to be on his side. Alicia being into him, was such a ridiculous idea.

“The first time we met her, she blatantly checked you out, despite you telling her you had a girlfriend. She played coy with you. then she only ever calls you, never me or anyone else on the team if she had details.” Danny shrugged “And you never did anything to dissuade her.”

“Did you check your answers with Romy on guns and Alicia?” Steve asked frustrated.

Danny shrugged again “So two people you trust the most tell you the same thing and you still question it?”

“You talking about gun laws or Alicia?”

Danny sighed, shaking his head in despair “I take the one where you can do something about. Alicia.”

“I talk to Romy again.”

“No!”

“What? Isn’t that what you want?”

“You do not need to talk to Romy. You need to talk to Alicia.” Danny implored. “She needs to know that she doesn’t have a shot with you. That you are in love with a woman and you’re not interested in her.”

“You think?”

“Yes!” Danny wanted to slam his head against the dashboard of his car. “And then you tell Romy the same thing. Jeez!”

 

——xx——xx——

 

Steve had tried to reach Alicia on his way home several times. Maybe he hadn’t wanted to see the signs, maybe he had seen them and ignored them. He hadn’t looked at anyone with a second glance since Romy stepped into his life. Alicia wasn’t picking up her phone though and he did not want to leave a voicemail.

The house was bright with light, then got out of his new truck, he could see Romy moving around inside. He stood in front of the door, his hand frozen over the door handle. He could hear Romy laughing, she was laughing, laughing at something Nahele said. It had been over a week since he last heard that sweet, sweet sound.

Later in the evening, after a wonderful dinner prepared by Nahele, he developed a knack for cooking, Steve sat with Romy on the lanai. They talked about their days. Her first day back at the office, his day with Marvin and how Danny saved the day. Steve swallowed when he sketched out his and Danny’s latest cargument to Romy, trying to find the right words.

“I shouldn’t have disparaged your feelings about Alicia. I tried to call her today to tell her that I’m not interested, she didn’t pick up. But I’m telling you.” he held her hand in his, moving Romy closer, so that she sat between his legs, her back pressed to his chest. Steve smoothed her hair behind her ear, pressing kisses on her shoulder, up her neck, when he reached her ear, he stopped whispering “I love you. I’m not and was not interested in Alicia. I’m sorry, for making you feel like you were imagining things. I love you.”

“Thank you. I love you too.” Romy leaned her head back against his shoulder, kissing the corner of Steve’s mouth.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Life had almost returned to normal once Halloween rolled around. It was the first evening on their own for quite a while. They had needed to convince Nahele to go to a Halloween party at Joel’s house, but in the end, his desire to spend an evening with Madison and his friends won out over another evening at home with his parents. Steve had plans, he had wonderful plans. They had popcorn for them, candy for the trick or treaters, and plenty of horror movies queued on Netflix, which meant Romy was going to spend the entire evening cuddled in his lap trying not to look. It came all crashing down around him when Alicia finally returned his phone call.

“Thank you for calling me back.” He squeezed his phone between shoulder and ear. “Do you have a second for me, Alicia? There’s something I need to talk to you about.”

Romy stood up taller when she heard Alicia’s name and she froze completely when she heard Steve say “Meeting up with you? Well...I...yes I do want to talk to you.” He poured the popcorn into a bowl. “Ok, I’ll see you tomorrow for coffee.” He hung up and turned around.

Romy stared at him, mouth open. “Did you just agree to go on a date with Alicia Brown?”

“It’s not a date, it's coffee to tell her I’m not interested.” Steve sighed.

“Which you couldn’t have done over the phone right now?” She asked sceptically. “Do you want to have coffee with her?”

Steve let out a breath, he was getting tired of this. “Why is Alicia such a big red flag for you? You were never like that with Catherine or any other women who made a pass at me.”

Finally, he was admitting it “So she did make a pass at you?”

“Romy!” Steve exclaimed.

“You told me that you didn’t have feelings for Catherine and you told Catherine the same. You don’t need to take other women out to coffee when you tell them you are not interested, I was there a couple of times, remember.” Romy shook her head at Steve. “But with Alicia Brown, you haven’t done either. So I’m sorry for worrying about this. Especially after everything that happened.”

“What do you mean?” Steve tried to grasp her hand, but Romy took a step back. “Are you blaming Alicia for what happened? You cannot be serious.”

“Can’t I?” How dare he. “If she wouldn’t have broken into Dr Gray’s house. Going completely against what you guys agreed on. You rushing to her aid instead of calling HPD. You wouldn’t have been hurt and pushed in a cave to drown and I wouldn’t have been drugged and sat bound in a container waiting to be shipped to a puppy mill for women. So yes, I am sorry but, I am blaming her. And you just agreed to have a coffee date with her.”

“That’s unfair, Romy.” Steve crossed his arms over his chest.

“Oh, I’m sorry. We get abducted, drugged and hurt. Our son asking me what’s going to happen to him, should we die. But I’m unfair when I tell you how I feel about Alicia? Fuck you, Steve.” Romy pushed off the kitchen counter.

Steve did not have a chance to respond when his phone interrupted them. “I’m on my way.” He rubbed his forehead tiredly, looking over to Romy. “We just caught a case.”

“Sure.” Romy nodded. “I gotta make sure you’ve got a shirt ironed for your date tomorrow.”

“Romy.” Steve breathed out, grasping her hand as she tried to make her way past him. “You mad enough to divorce me over this?”

Despite her current mood, she needed to chuckle at his question. “No, but I’m not happy.”

“I get that. We argue later?” Steve rested his forehead against Romy’s.

“Sure.” She leaned up to kiss him. “Go.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

A pleasant surprise was waiting for him and Danny at the murder scene. “Hey, Max!”

“You back in the building.” Danny greeted him.

“How was the sabbatical?” Steve wanted to know.

“Well not to oversell it, it was the single greatest experience of my lifetime.” Max smiled widely.

Steve and Danny listened to their friend, how his time with the MSF had completely transformed his life.

“Not only your life but your style too,” Danny commented.

Steve nodded fat that “The beard, long hair. It suits you.”

“Actually the beard and hair are part of my Halloween costume. I’m the titular character of the movie John Wick, which is the latest tribute to the film legacy of Keanu Reeves.”

“I’ve seen this one,” Danny announced proudly. “And I like the attention to detail with the wedding ring and everything.”

Max smiled conspiratorially “You are correct, that John Wick wore one in the movie, despite his wife passing. This, however, I’m wearing it because I married Sabrina.” He announced proudly.

Steve watched how Danny and Chin congratulated Max on his nuptials. He played with his ring for a second, how come no one had noticed his ring in all these months? Danny had spied Max’s ring in seconds, why not his? He fiddled with these thoughts and his ring, all the way through the crime scene and Max’s first findings, announcing that the victim had been scared to death.

How fitting for a haunted house.

He only got pulled out of his thoughts about announcing their marriage and his fight with Romy, when Danny was on the phone with Grace.

“No, you are not under house arrest. You are free to go trick or treating with your little brother.”

“This is a cruel and unusual punishment,” Grace complained again.

Danny rolled his eyes “Well don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time.” They were interrupted by the doorbell ringing. “Doorbell. Sounds like the babysitter is there.”

“Is it at least Aunt Romy?” grace asked hopefully.

Steve popped his head into the video “Nope. Aunt Romy is on Trick or Treat duty at our house.” Maybe Grace would get the subtle hint and head over to theirs, it would definitely lift Romy’s mood.

“Oh, man!”

“Gotta go. I see you later. Love you.” Danny hung up quickly before Grace discovered who was their actual babysitter for tonight.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy hated it when she fought with Steve before he went out on a call. It kept her even more on edge, hoping their fight wasn’t the last conversation the two of them would have. It was almost 9 pm and he hadn’t checked in yet with her. Hopefully, that meant he would be home soon, and this wasn’t an overnight call.

The doorbell rang again, she got up with a sigh and grabbed the Candy bowl.

The “Trick or Treat!” shout greeted her, the moment she opened the door.

“Oh my! Don’t you two look amazing.”

“Mahalo, Aunt Romy.” Charlie smiled brightly as Romy filled his pumpkin bucket with loads of sweets.

“You guys want to come in? Keep me some company until Steve and Danno come home?” Romy looked up from the kids to Jerry. “Someone needs to help me eat all the candy.” She shrugged, stepping out of the way of a cheering Charlie. She grinned when she heard Grace whisper to her little brother “Told you I knew the house with the best candy.”

——xx——xx——

“Sorry, I’m so late,” Steve said quietly, trying not to disturb a snoring Jerry and a sleeping Charlie in Romy’s lap and Grace on her shoulder. He perched on the arm of the couch, kissing her softly in greeting.

“It’s ok. What happened?” She scooted to the side, making space for him on the sofa. Steve stroked Charlie’s back and Grace’s head, making sure they were properly asleep. “A killed Medium in a haunted house.”

“Fitting.” Romy nodded.

“Killed by her PA, who tried to revenge her dead father, cause the medium told him she died, but she just runs away.” Steve shook his head. “She blamed the victim and for her Dad’s death.”

“Wow.”

“Yeah, and Kono and Adam got abducted by a death cult.” He added casually.

“What?!” Romy whipped her head around to him. “Are they ok?”

“Oh yes. They had already escaped and engaged in a firefight by the time we came.”

“Kono never needed to be rescued.” Not like myself, Romy left unspoken.

“She and Adam were lucky they were kept together, allowed them to escape.” Steve knew exactly where she was going with this and he would not stand for it. “Where is our son actually? I only see kids who don’t live here.”

Romy suppressed a yawn. “He’s upstairs in bed, came home only 10 minutes after curfew.”

“We got a good kid.” Steve smiled.

“How much sugar did you give my kids?” Danny came from the kitchen, rifling through the wrapper filled candy bowl.

“Not enough, if they are asleep,” Romy replied cheekily.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Last nights conversation with Romy did not leave Steve’s mind while he paced in front of the shop front. They had sent the Williams clan and Jerry home safely when he asked her

“You don’t think I worry too?”

He could see that Romy didn’t know what to do with the question, especially when she answered it with a scoff “What have you got to worry about?”

“That someday, you have enough.” His voice broke. “That you no longer want to deal with this shit. With my shit. With me. Those serial killers breaking into our house, you getting drugged, me getting shot - that one day you turn around and say to me ‘I can’t do this anymore. I’m leaving.’”

“Never!” Romy’s answer was fierce and instantly

“You can't promise that.”

“The only time I will tell you that I cannot do this anymore,” She grabbed his hand, pressing a kiss to his knuckles “is when you no longer take me and my feelings seriously. Until then your shit is my shit.”

Steve made up his mind and entered the shop behind him.

“Commander McGarrett. Nice to see you again.” The woman behind the counter greeted him. “What can I do for you today? Maybe a matching necklace to the bracelet we designed?”

Steve swallowed, he really shouldn’t be that nervous. He was married for goodness sake. “I’m looking for a ring.”

Chapter 34: Nothing in this world will ever break my heart again

Summary:

Summary: He had a plan, he’d done this before, but when everything conspires against you, you need to get creative.

Warnings: Smut - over 18-year-olds only!

Episode: Season 7 -  Episode 7 & 8

Music: High - The Strumbellas, Love is war - American Young, Nothing in this world will ever break my heart again - Nashville Cast

Notes:

Hello, lovelies, 

Happy Easter weekend!

I’m sorry I’m a bit late with this chapter - I hope you still enjoy it though! We deserve a bit more light heartened fun after the last 6 heavy chapters.

I cannot wait to hear your thoughts and comments!

Enjoy xx 

Chapter Text

 

 ——xx——xx——

Romy hadn’t turned the key in the lock yet when the house door opened for her. “Wha-“ her mouth fell open. In front of her stood Steve, dressed to the nines in the dark blue suit she loved and a light blue shirt.

“I think I have got the wrong house.” She pointed out completely shocked, the keys still dangling from her fingers.

“Well, I don’t know.” Steve leaned against the door “Are you up for an experience in fine dining prepared by a handsome gentleman?”

Romy reciprocated his grin “I could do with both of those.” She sauntered into the house, eyeing Steve up and down “cause I’m starving.”

He watched her drop her bag and laptop in its usual spot, watched how the silky plum skirt danced around her calves and the way the mauve 3/4 arm light sweater dipped low revealing a bit more of her breasts, it made him lick his lips. How did she manage to look that great after a day in the office? He stepped behind her, his lips skimming over the back of Romy’s neck, making goosebumps appear in their wake. He settled his hands on her waist and directed Romy towards the dining room. There in the middle of the room stood a small table, completely decked out with table cloths, the good china and candles. Candles were everywhere.

“Are you planning to seduce me, Commander McGarrett?” Romy turned her head to him “Cause you know, I’m a sure bet, right?” She squeezed his hand still settled on her waist.

“Doesn’t mean I can’t pull out all of the stops once in a while.” Steve walked her over to the table and pulled the chair out for her.

“What have you planned for me?” She pulled his head down to hers and kissed him. “All your favourites and then dessert.” He kissed Romy’s forehead. “I’ll be right back with the starters.” She watched him disappear into the kitchen, shaking her head and smiling at the same time. He went all out, she admired the table and the candles dotted all over the room, dousing the room in a beautiful play of light and shadows.

Steve returned with the starters and Romy was blown away once more, he had made all of her favourites.

“My brain is telling me to stop but my stomach says keep going.” Romy groaned as she ate another piece of the main course. “This is so delicious.”

“You should listen to your stomach, cause we’ve got dessert coming up.” Steve declared, loved seeing her eat with an appetite.

Romy bit her lip at the thought of dessert. “Yeah, what’ve you got?”

“Passion fruit Pavlova.” He grinned at her, knowing that he hit the jackpot when her eyes glazed over and then lit up with delight.

“I love you.” Romy sighed. Taking another sip of her wine, she couldn’t wait to dig into dessert. “I better pace me now.”

“Don’t you dare?” He squeezed her hand on the table, their fingers holding onto each other.

“Didn’t we used to have a kid?” Romy asked, checking her watch, it was close to Nahele’s normal curfew.

Steve traced her knuckles lovingly “He’s at Joel’s for the night.”

“Does that mean we have the house to ourselves?”

“Hell yeah, I cannot wait to spread you over the kitchen counter for my dessert.”

The look in Steve’s eyes ignited a fire within her, she rubbed her legs together trying to ease the pressure a bit, her teeth gnawing at her bottom lip. She could not wait either.

“I’ll drink to that.” She lifted her glass. “Cheers.”

“Cheers.” Steve clinked his glass with hers, eyes never leaving Romy’s, the tension in the room growing. “I’ll go get some more wine.” He said as he refilled both their glasses.

“No. No. No.” Romy got up. “You just relax. You’ve done enough?” She grabbed the empty bottle of wine.

She leaned down and kissed Steve on her way past him, their tongues teasing and tasting each other, not too passionate but a promise of things to come later. “I’ll be back.” She whispered against his lips and straightened back up.

“I’ll be here.” Steve retorted, giving her butt a gentle squeeze. The silk of her skirt running through his hand.

Romy could hear his phone ring from the kitchen, that better wasn’t going to be a work call, she grabbed the bottle Steve left open to breathe on the counter. He had gotten off the phone by the time she got back.

“You ok?” She asked.

The headlights of a car turning into their driveway illuminated his face. “Yeah...Uhm..” Steve took a step towards her, taking the bottle “Something’s going on and I’m not quite sure what it is.” They shared a look, and before he could say anything more a knock at the door made their heads whip around.

“You expecting someone?” This was not adding up with their evening so far.

“No. I wasn’t uh...she just decided to drop in.” Steve scratched his head turning back to Romy, who uttered “She?”

This better not be Alicia Brown, she was not able to deal with Alicia Brown tonight.

“Catherine.”

“Catherine.” She repeated. Catherine was fine, Romy took a breath, she could deal with Catherine. “Then let’s let her in before she breaks that door down.” The next knock had been more insistent.

Romy moved to the front door when Steve held her back. “Are you ok, with her being here?”

She smiled at that, concern written all over his face. “I’m fine and Catherine wouldn’t come by for nothing.” Romy moved back into Steve’s space, stretching onto her toes she cupped his cheek and pressed a soft kiss onto his lips. “Go open that door. We can handle whatever comes out of this visit.”

Steve chased after her lips for another kiss. “Ok.”

He opened the door with trepidation, unsure what kind of emergency and drama he would let into his house, into his life once more.

“Hey.” He let out a breath.

“Hi.” Catherine greeted him back.

“Come on in.” He stepped aside, revealing the romantic setting and Romy behind him.

“Oh. Sorry!” Catherine stuttered out, completely taken by surprise. She’d thought Romy had left, went back to London.

“Good to see you again, Catherine.” Romy’s lips curled into a tight smile.

“Yeah. Same here.” Catherine stuttered out and turned back to Steve. “Sorry to barge in like this, but it couldn’t wait.”

“Okay.” Steve walked over to Romy, his hand settling on her lower back, as he leaned against the table. “What’s going on?”

“It’s about your mother.”

Romy could feel Steve stiffen next to her, his eyebrows rose almost into his hairline “My mother?”

“She’s in trouble.”

Steve sank in the chair behind him, of course, Doris was in trouble. When was that ever not the case?

“What kind of trouble?” Romy asked when Steve was too stunned to form a sentence.

“Uhm...I...” Catherine stuttered again, especially as she met Romy’s own raised eyebrow and pointed look.

“Give us a second would you, Cath?” Steve looked up at his ex-girlfriend and nodded out to the lanai.

“Sure.”

She couldn’t make out what Romy and Steve were saying to each other, the murmurings reaching through the closed doors were too low. She watched as Steve pulled Romy astray onto his lap, burying his hands in her hair and his face in her neck.

——xx——xx——

It took them about 10 minutes before they joined Catherine out on the lanai. Romy leaned back against the door, watching the interaction between Steve and Catherine unimpassioned.

“Okay. Look, I know I have a lot to explain with the CIA, and knowing about your mother...And... and that is a conversation that I want to have with you, but we're really pressed for time here, so…” Catherine wrung her hands, she looked nervous to Romy, almost unsure on how to behave.

“Yeah. All right.” Steve shrugged, he didn’t really care either way. “What's going on?”

Catherine took a deep breath, it all had sounded so simple in her head a minute ago, but now it was way more complicated, especially as it seemed that a civilian was listening in. “All right.” She shot a glance to Romy. “So last night Doris tried to break Wo Fat's father out of a CIA black site, and the op went sideways. Word is, is that they're holding her until they decide what they're going to do with her. I'm trying to get more information. No one's talking. I don't even know what country the site is in.” There she laid it all out.

“Morocco,” Romy mumbled.

“I’m sorry?” Catherine turned around sharply.

“It's in Morocco,” she repeated.

“How would you know that?” How would Romy know that? She was part of the CIA and had no luck at all getting any kind of information.

Steve sighed “Because I've been there” redirecting Catherine’s attention back to him “Couple of months ago I had a... a sit down with Yao Fat. And now I'm realising that Doris must have orchestrated that meeting so she could follow me out there and learn the location of the site. She used me.”

Romy’s heart broke for him at his last statement, how could a mother do that to her son?

“We gotta do something. We got to figure out a way to get her out of there.” It seemed Catherine was ready to charge in and rescue Doris.

Steve’s empathic “No way.” ground her enthusiasm to a halt.

“Steve.” Romy had stepped towards him, her hand finding him, their eyes met and for a second anything around them vanished.

“I know she has hurt you, okay?” Catherine pulled them right back into reality. “But whatever she's done, Steve, she is still your mother. Are you really gonna let her spend the rest of her life in a box? Okay. 'Cause... 'cause that's what she's looking at right now. Steve, I know you. You don't help her now, you will regret it.”

Steve didn’t know what to do, he was torn, Catherine’s plea and Romy’s not so subtle side-eye were at war with the hurt his mother kept inflicting on him since he was 16 years old. In the end, his better angels won out.

“Give me a moment to pack.”

He stalked back into the house, leaving the two women alone outside.

“Thank you.” Catherine looked over to Romy.

“For what?”

“For convincing him to come. I didn’t realise that Doris used him to figure out where they are holding Fat.”

“He would have hated himself.” Romy shrugged “I’ll be right back.”

——xx——xx——

Steve stood half-dressed in front of their bed, duffle bag laid open before him, but it was still empty. He startled when he felt a hand rub down the expanse of his naked back.

“Need some help, Schnuffi?”

Romy - the tension left his shoulders. He pulled her into his arms, loved feeling her soft body melt against his. How they managed to fit like two puzzle pieces. His fingers carded through her hair. “I don’t want to go,” he mumbled.

“If you don’t want to go. Nobody can force you, but the question is if you can live with yourself if you don’t help your mother now.”

“She doesn’t deserve my help.” his voice tight with anger.

Romy’s hands wound together behind his head, her forearms resting against his shoulders, caging him in, keeping him close. “It’s not about her, it's about you.”

Steve shook his head “I thought I had put this behind me.”

Romy pushed herself up on her toes, her face level with Steve’s, she held his head making sure he met her eyes “You have paid your dues to your mother, Steve. She took so much away from you. You don’t owe her this, but if you don’t go…”

“You think I’d regret it in the future.” he sighed and closed his eyes when Romy nodded. His forehead coming to rest against hers. “You’re right. I need to do this. And then that’s it. I’m done being pulled into her life when it fits her and gets nothing in return.” He leaned down and pressed his lips against Romy’s desperately. She was his light at the end of the tunnel, guiding him once more through the mess that was his life. His tongue opened her mouth insistantly tangling with her tongue, tasting her, marking her as his.

His hands moved to her butt, squeezing the round flesh, eliciting a moan from Romy that went straight down to his cock. Her hips started to move on their account against his, the silk rubbing tantalising against his cargo pants. The soft fabric against the harsh fabric of his trousers, creating delicious friction for both of them. He knew they didn’t have much time, but god he wanted her, he needed her. Steve lifted Romy, guiding her legs around his waist, groaning when her core came into contact with his hardening cock. His hands underneath her butt, keeping her upright, making his way over to their bureau. This was going to be harsh and quick, but the way Romy clawed at his shoulders and nipped her way down his throat told him she was on the same page as he was.

“Fuck!” Romy groaned when Steve sat her down on the flat surface, she watched as he pulled down the zipper on his trousers and hastily removed her jumper. She was about to get jump down to get her skirt off when Steve attached himself to her neck. Her head fell back against the wall, his tongue lapping over the marks his teeth left not a second before. Her hips moved, trying to get some friction. “Please, Steve.” she mewled, as his hand snaked up under her skirt, tracing the outline of her soaked panties. “Fuck me, please. I want you!” Her hands grasped his face, making their way down to his shoulders, pulling him closer, right between her legs. “I want to feel yo..ahhh” she let out a moan when his thumb connected with her clit.

“You want everyone to hear you, don’t you?” he asked, while his thumb kept its brutal and delicious pace, wounding her tight.

“I don’t care.” she looked at him, her eyes heavy with want. “Please don’t make me beg.” Their lips met again in a desperate kiss, Romy drew him close her ankles crossing behind his waist trapping him against her.

“Never,” Steve whispered against her lips. “Fuck, Romy.” he groaned out, as he slid into her. “Oh god. You feel so good, so tight.”

“Yes!” Her arms wrapped around Steve’s neck, her lips ghosting his jaw up to his ear. Her teeth sinking into his earlobe when he hit that spot inside her.

“Romy!” his hips rutted against her, the silk of her skirt brushing against his legs, obstructing the view where they were joined together, he reached under the skirt, his fingers once more connecting with her clit, making Romy keen. Her head falling forward against his shoulder. “Steve, please….please…make me cum.”

“Cum for me, Romy. Come on.” he rubbed up and down right next to her clit making her vibrate around him.

“I…I…I’m …please cum in me.” hearing her words filled his mind with images, he’d never thought would arouse him that much. The pressure on her clit and Steve’s shuddering out her name when he came, pushed Romy over the edge harshly, as if she tethered too long on a cliff contemplating if she should jump and then someone pushes her over. She slumped into Steve completely spent.

“This was awesome,” she murmured against his shoulder.

“This” Steve squeezed her to him, shuddering when her inner muscles squeezed around him once more “is always amazing.” He let out a breath, trying to slow down his heart before he pulled out of her. He reached behind Romy grabbing some paper tissues to clean them both up. He helped her down from the bureau, brushing her sweaty hair out of her eyes, he was not ready yet to let her go. Romy leaned into him, allowing herself a couple of moments of quiet. “We should get you packed.” she said reluctantly.

“Yeah.” Steve sighed and let her out of his arms. He moved back to the closet, grabbing some T-shirts.

“Steve.”

He turned around again, Romy had his suit pants in her one hand and a black box in the other. His eyes flittered between her confused expression and the little box.

“What is this?”

“Listen,” he crossed the room to stand in front of her, “You know I love you deeply. I mean, you are my rock. You are the one thing that makes sense when the world is upside down.” He was bumbling this up so badly - how could he mess this up, when he’d done it before?

“I mean, you will always leave your shoes right at the door for me to trip over them, and I'll probably never learn to pee sitting down but nobody's perfect. What matters is how we make each other feel, how you are…”

“Steve...what is this?” Romy shook her head, she was so confused, from his speech, by this box in her hand. “Are you planning to get killed?” She asked worriedly.

Fuck, he was really messing this up, he took the box out of Romy’s hand. Snapping it open, he presented her the open box, a hopeful expression on his face.

“Wait! Are you proposing to me now?” One of her hands grasping her hair, as she shook her head. “I mean right now? While your ex-girlfriend is waiting downstairs to take you on a secret mission to free your Mom out of a CIA prison.”

“Well, yes?” he shrugged. “Why do you think there were candles downstairs and all your favourite food and I wore my wedding suit?”

Romy covered her mouth with her hand, a laugh escaped her anyway. He did pull out all the stops.

“I mean I didn’t plan for Catherine to turn up and my mother being in trouble, but on our wedding day you said you wouldn’t be opposed to getting proposed to in the future. So, gorgeous… what do you say? Marry me again?”

Romy stared at him and at the ring in his hand, it was beautiful, completely different to anything she’d seen before. Her man had the best taste in jewellery.

“Yes!”

“Really?”

“Yes.” Romy jumped up to him, and he caught her to him. This did not go how he’d planned it, but when did they do anything the normal way.

“You are sure, right?” he asked her between kisses.

“There’s no one else I would endure months long wedding planning and constant phone calls from my mother for.” Romy teased him.

Steve laughed and slipped the ring on her finger “You do love me.”

“I love you the mostest”

Their lips found each other again, unable to resist the other they depended the kiss. He could feel the cool metal of her wedding band and engagement ring against his skin. She had said yes - yes to him again.

“Steve!” Catherine’s voice interrupted their moment. They separated with a sigh “Come on, Schnuffi” Romy patted his chest “time to hit the road.”

Steve slung his duffle bag over his shoulder and the two made their way back downstairs. He slid his hand into Romy’s hair, kissing her goodbye. “I’ll be back soon.”

Romy nodded. “Just be back in one piece and without new bullet holes, please.”

Steve let out a laugh “I’ll try my best.” He closed his eyes for a second “I won’t be able to be in touch much.”

“I know.”

“You know what to do when…”

“Steve.” Romy did not want to entertain that idea at all.

“Romy.” he squeezed her neck. “In the case of…”

“I know.” she rescinded “I promise.”

“Good.” They stared at each other. “I’ll call Nahele when I’m on the plane.”

“Thanks.” One final kiss and he was out of the door. Romy stood in the doorway watching the tail lights of the black SUV dissappear out of their driveway. She turned around and surveyed the scene in the dining room, most of the candles were still burning. Their dishes abandoned on the small table, the wonderful atmosphere had evaporated and replaced with one of fear. Slowly she started to clean up, stacking the dishes, righting the furniture. She blew out the candles one by one, the room getting darker with every single blow, until the only thing glittering in the dark room was her engagement ring.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Kono had called the next morning, apparently, Steve had left a mysterious message with Danny in New Jersey. Laying out what happened the night before, how Catherine had turned up, Doris being in trouble in Morocco.

“You just let him go?” Kono asked.

“Should I have chained him to the chair?” Romy sat in the sunroom folding laundry.

“No, of course not.” Kono said quickly “It’s just…weird timing is all.”

“I’ll let Steve fill you in on the ins and outs with his mother once you’re down there.” Romy perched the phone between her shoulder and ear when she got up to put the laundry away.

“What do you…”

“Please Kono, I’ve been around a couple of years by now. You guys are already packing up the office, aren’t you?”

“We might” Kono sat down the rifle she checked ready for boxing it up.

“Be careful and call me if you need anything. I love you.”

“Love you too.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy had her laptop open on the kitchen counter, a tea steeping next to her, typing out an email while keeping half an eye on her phone for an update from Steve or any of the others. It was already dark outside, even Hawaii couldn’t escape the shorter days in November. She looked up when Nahele shuffled in. “Hey, kiddo. Can’t sleep?”

He shook his head and hopped onto the counter next to her. Frowning he lifted her cup and sniffed. “That’s Peppermint tea,” he looked over at his Mom. “You never drink tea. Are you ok, Mom?”

The corner of Romy’s mouth lifted, as she liberated her cup from Nahele “I’m not feeling that great, hence the tea.” She deliberately took a sip.

“Your eye still hurting?”

Romy swatted Nahele’s fingers away that wanted to prod her cheekbone “Just a bit queasy that’s all.”

“You’re not pregnant, are you Mom?”

Romy almost spat the tea all over the freshly cleaned kitchen. What? She patted his cheek “Don’t worry we’re not making you a big brother anytime soon.”

“I would be alright with that, you know.” Nahele shrugged. “Being a big brother and all. I think it could be fun.”

“That’s very good to know.” Romy smiled at her son “and will be taken into consideration. I always feel a bit queasy when your Dad is off god knows where doing something dangerous.”

“If you say so.” Nahele looked at her sceptically and pushed himself off the counter. “I’m going to bed. Good night, Mama.” he pressed a kiss to Romy’s cheek and ambled out of the kitchen.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Steve could not believe they made it out of a CIA black-site unscathed, but here they were standing on an airfield a couple of miles outside of Rabat.

“You, uh, you sure this is gonna work?” He wasn’t sure if his mother's plan was all that solid.

“There are a lot of secrets in that man's head. A lot of people at the CIA who still consider him a threat. That's why they've kept him locked up all this time. So, as long as he's out there, they can't touch me, or any of you guys for that matter.” Doris gripped his arm.

“So, uh, what happens after that? Then what?” Steve wanted to know, needed to know what her plans were.

“Then I'll be able to come home.”

“Oh, okay.” He raised his eyebrows.

“Seriously, I might even get a place just down the street from you. Oh, trust me, you are never gonna be able to get rid of me. I want to meet the woman who captured your heart and the kid.”

“Romy and Nahele.” Steve filled in “I’d love for you to meet them. They’re my…they’re everything.”

Doris swallowed at Steve’s declaration, her son had created a family on his own and she was no part of it. “I bet. Come here.” She pulled him into a hug. “I want you to know that... everything I did, every decision...I made them for the right reasons.”

“Ma…” Steve tried to release himself out of her arms, he was a parent too, and a husband and he’d never think he could hurt Nahele and Romy the way she’d hurt him.

“No, no, listen, at least I thought so at the time, you know?” Doris must have realised her mistake. “But if you ever want to know more about me, about who I was before, the answers are waiting for you at home.”

“What do you mean?” Was this going to be another riddle?

“Ten paces from the far wall in the study, there's a loose floorboard. Under that, there's a lock-box. The combination is 90268.

Inside... you'll find all the answers.” She let go of his arm and stepped away.

“Ma” Steve said once more.

“What?”

“Being a spy wasn't the only thing you were ever good at, Mom.” it was time to let this go, let go of the hurt and the anger. It didn't mean he’d forgive her or wanted a stronger relationship with her, but he was tired of holding a grudge.

“I love you.” Doris smiled at him and then she moved over to Yao Fat, helping him onto the plane.

He turned and saw Catherine approach him “Hey.”

“So, uh, I'm gonna be hitching a ride with them,” she announced. “I got a new assignment and Doris is gonna drop me off on the way.”

“Do me a favour. Tell me something.” Steve started.

“What's that?”

“You happy doing what you're doing?” He just wanted to make sure she was happy, that she finally found her little spot she had always been looking for.

“Yeah. I am.” Catherine returned his smile.

“All right. Good. That's good.”

“I should go.” she nodded towards the small plane and ascended the stairs. “Goodbye, Steve!”

“Bye Cath.” he lifted his hand.

Catherine pulled the door to the plane halfway close as she shouted “I’m glad she said yes.”

“What?” Steve was confused.

“You asked her to marry you, didn’t you? While I was waiting downstairs,” her tone made the hairs on his neck stand up. How dare she? Like he needed her approval? Like she could just drop into his life as if she still had a part in it.  “Steve, you didn’t propose to her while I was waiting downstairs, did you?” She asked again. He thought Catherine was going to go for outrage, but it sounded much more pleased to him like she wanted to be involved once more.

The notion to tell her what they did upstairs while they were supposed to be packing was huge, he swallowed it down, decided to be a grown-up.

“No” Catherine looked confused, she’d thought she spied an engagement ring on Romy’s finger that hadn’t been there earlier on the evening. “I married her, at the first opportunity I got.” he lifted his right hand showcasing his wedding band, before closing the latch in Catherine’s face.

 

——xx——xx——

 

“Romy?” Steve called into the house “Nahele?” No one answered. He looked at his watch, it was only 15:00. The time change had thrown him a little bit. Tiredness settled deep in his bones, while the last three days caught up with him. He dropped his duffle bag next to the front door and settled down on the swing chair on the lanai. The waves and the motion of the swing soothing him into a deep sleep.

He startled awake when he felt a hand caressing his cheek.

“You’re Home!” Romy smiled softly at him.

“Yes!” Steve pulled her on his lap. “So glad to be back.” he buried his face in her hair, taking a deep breath.

“How was your mum?”

“Stubborn and idiotic as ever.” he sighed. “Can we not move for a while?”

“For as long as you want.” Romy leaned her head against his shoulder, drawing figures on his skin.

He couldn’t say for how long they sat in silence, before the story of his last couple of days tumbled out of his mouth “I mean, I only learned years later about her relationship with Wo Fat, everything that went down, that it started to make sense and I started to get it, put the pieces together. I mean, the things my mother has done, the way she betrayed Yao, the operation that killed his wife, she can't get past the guilt. The guilt of all of that just haunts her and no matter how much time goes by, no matter how much her life changes......she can't shake the burden. I think that burden made her pull away from me, from Mary, from my father.” He looked onto the garden, where he spent so many hours playing as a child, where he wanted his children to play too. “But I can’t let her burden dictate my feelings and my relationship with her anymore.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

They announced their engagement once Danny was back from New Jersey, evoking a screech from Renee and a little happy dance from Kono as they pushed Danny out of the way to get their hands on Romy for a look at the ring and a group hug. Steve smiled over Danny’s head at Romy, shaking his head, at their friends' antics. Romy’s shoulders shook in mirth and she threw him a conspiratorial wink. They could deal with anything.

They hadn’t even full detangled themselves from their friends, and Renee and Lou were already deep in planning an engagement celebration. A poker night for the guys and a night out on town for the ladies.

 

“You know, I don’t know how well this bodes for our actual wedding celebration.” Romy leaned against the S.W.A.T. car, still in her heels and tight jeans.

“What do you mean?” Steve pushed his rifle out of the way, so it hung down his back, he kissed her in greeting.

“Our engagement celebration got hijacked by terrorists putting two of the kids, plus Danny into harm's way.” she nodded to Renee and Lou in a hug with Will and Danny hadn’t let go of Grace yet either.

“Ah” Steve waved her off “No one got hurt, everyone is accounted for and you look amazing. I’d count that as a win.” He smiled at her.

Romy chuckled “Since when are you Mr Positive?” she bumped her shoulder in his chest.

Steve slung his arm around her shoulder, guiding her over to the others “Ever since you came back, we got a kid, we got married, and now we got engaged. What’s not positive about that?”

“I love you.”

“So, can we go back now to McGarrett’s?” Chin rubbed his hands “We almost had Steve down to betting Nahele’s college fund.”

“Steve!” Romy jabbed her elbow into his side “You promised.”

“My hand was really good.” he defended himself, earning him snorts and shaken heads from the guys around him.

She looked up at him, he was such a bad poker player.

“Ok, let’s head back!” Kono clapped her hands “I’m up for some poker, but only if you stop making heart eyes at each other.” she poked Romy’s shoulder to get her back to the here and now.

“You’re on, Kalakaua,” Romy said, without breaking eye contact with Steve. “I’m playing your hand now, babe.” she pressed her lips to Steve’s cheek.

Steve’s hand settled on her lower back, guiding her to his truck “You’ve been playing my hand for a long while, gorgeous.” he whispered as he helped her into the car.

Chapter 35: Family knows no distance

Summary:

Summary: Romy’s 30th birthday - or The Germans are coming
Warnings: None
Episode: Season 7 - Episode 9

Notes:

Hello, lovelies,
I’m so sorry for the delay. i had this chapter in my head for so long, it literally refused to let me write it. Nothing I put down sounded like I had it in my head, and now it took a complete different turn as I anticipated.
Your reviews, comments and messages make my day, Please keep them coming.
Enjoy xx

Chapter Text

The smile stretched over Romy’s entire face as a toddler collided with her full force. She lowered herself into a squat and wrapped her arms around him, squeezing him tightly “Henri! My favourite man!” She smothered his face in kisses.

“I see how it is, once there is a nephew, the brother doesn’t count anymore.”

Romy looked up with an impish grin “He’s so much cuter than you.”

Her brother shrugged at that “Fair enough.”

She stood up, her nephew still secure in her arms and let herself be pulled into a one-armed hug. “It’s so good to see you, Lars” she whispered.

“I wouldn’t have missed this for the world.”

It took them a moment to get out of the airport and installing Henri’s car seat in Romy’s car. She took the long route from the airport to Aina Haina, it avoided downtown Honolulu and was may more scenic. Lars marvelled at the landscape and kept pulling at the sweater he still had on from the plane, November in Hawaii is different to November in Germany.

——xx——xx——

They sat on the lanai enjoying a coffee and some Malasadas, Lars trying to adjust to the time zone by powering through. Henri had lost the fight against jet lag and snored in the pack & play next to them.

“So my dear sister of mine what’s the plan for our visit?” Lars took a sip of his coffee, watching how Romy turned on an innocent look.

“I don’t know what you mean?”

“Oh please, I’m sure you have an itinerary mapped out before we even agreed to come.”

Romy stuck her tongue out “I don’t know if I should feel insulted by that?”

“Just knowing you very well.” Lars winked, leaning back in his chair.

“I need to work for a couple of days, but I’m off today and tomorrow and next weekend.” Lars nodded at her to continue. “Well, I thought these three days we don’t much, then when Kristin, Paul and...”

“Just Kristin and Paul,” Lars interjected.

“What?” Romy leaned forward. “No - “

“Nope, they broke up at the airport.” Lars crossed his arms and rolling his eyes.

“You’re kidding me?”

“Nope. They made more of a spectacle than” he nodded to his sleeping son “this one ever could.”

“Fuck.” Romy breathed out, a moping and heartbroken Paul for her 30th birthday.

“Yep, but I doubt he’ll be moping for much longer. He and Kristin are racing down the slopes in Colorado and are enjoying the Apres Ski. She’ll get him out of his funk.”

“Your wife is a saint,” Romy commented drily, and the Paul whisperer of the family. “Well now with that news...I thought we relax and do beach time until the others come on Sunday. Then we got my birthday on Tuesday and a party on Saturday.”

“Sounds good to me.” Lars grabbed another Malasada. “If there are any long hikes or other survival in the wilderness things, I’m tapping out.”

Romy chuckled “Don’t worry, Steve promised all activities are on a voluntary basis.”

They sat in silence for a while, sipping their coffee in peace. When Lars grinned at his sister “So, little one, how do you feel? With your 30th approaching and everything?”

“I feel just fine.” Romy frowned, she did not like the tone of that question.

“What? No creaking joints, grey hair, wrinkles or inability of sleeping in? You know your present will help you with all of the maladies of an old person.”

“I hate you.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

“I’m glad you decided to propose to my sister.” Lars came to stand next to Steve. He handed him a beer.

“Thanks, I guess.” Steve frowned at the slight unorthodox delivery of congratulations.

Lars shook his head with a chuckle “I mean it, man, she deserves the world.”

“She does.”

“And she gave up a lot coming here.” Steve nodded, finally understanding where Lars wanted to go with this. “Like all of her savings and the pay cut she took.”

“Do you really think we didn’t talk about that?” A hint of anger crept into Steve’s voice.

“Oh fuck man.” Lars sighed. “I’m already sounding like Paul.” He shook his head. “I’m sorry. I just want her to be taken care of.”

“You know she’d hate you for that, right? And I feel the need to point out that Romy can take care of herself.” Steve bit his lip, man he’d be the same if Mary suddenly decided to move to the other side of the world for a man she only knew a year.

“Sure, she can. She’s Ms Independent. But that’s the thing, she doesn’t know when to ask for help or when to take the easier path. So thanks for being there for her.”

“Now that’s true.” Steve thought back to their argument when they needed to get married. “I love Romy. We’ve got a life here.”

“I know, it's just...she moved here to be with you. She sacrificed part of her career, her savings. She lives here in your house...we were worried about what would happen after...how did my Mom call it ...the first days of ‘Great to see you’ sex” he shuddered at that “were over. So yes, I’m glad you guys decided to make it more official.”

Steve ground his teeth, he didn't want to blow up at Lars, he didn't. And god if he’d be in his shoes and Mary suddenly decided to up and move her life across the world to be with a man he’d never met...fuck...

“I love your sister.”

“I know that man...but this has nothing to do with love and everything to do with power.”

Power? What was Lars on about?

“And at the moment, or since the very beginning of your relationship with my sister. You had all the power. She moved to you. She gave up her job for you. She lives in your house-“

Now Steve really needed to laugh.

“I’m glad you find this funny.”

“No, I’m not!” Steve couldn’t stop laughing. “It’s just” he needed to wipe away a tear “you clearly haven’t talked to your sister about this.”

Lars frowned, why would he? He didn't feel like a lecture about equality, feminism and noisy older brothers sticking their noses where they don’t belong.

“Look, I get it, I don’t know what I would have done if my sister had done the same as Romy. But it's different, we’re different.” He saw that Lars still wasn’t convinced. “We...We’re fine financially, Lars. Yes, Romy taking a cut wasn’t great, but it's not like we’re poor. And about the house” Steve scratched the back of his neck “actually Romy’s been on the deed since she moved in.”

“What?”

“Yeah, this is her home.”

“So let me get this straight. You put her on the deed of your million dollar home, you share your finances including savings?”

Steve nodded.

“Geez, I think I got this the wrong way around. Do you want me to give my sister the shovel talk instead?” Lars laughed.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy knocked on the door jamb, she could hear Kristin reuniting with her so downstairs. It was amazing that her brother and sister in law were finally here as well. Finally, her birthday week could truly commence.

Paul turned around from the window, smiling at her.

“All settled in?” She asked.

“Yeah.” Paul let out a little laugh. “This is a beautiful spot.” He nodded out of the window overlooking the front yard. “Video calls don’t do it justice.”

“I know, right?” Romy pushed her glasses up, her fingers flitter over the necklace she was wearing and smoothing down her jeans. Paul smiled, glad somehow that his sister's nervous tells hadn’t changed, despite living ten thousand miles away. He held out his arm and Romy took the invitation without hesitation and snuggled into her big brother's side.

“I’m sorry about you and...”

“I don’t want to talk about it.” Paul shut her off straight away.

“Lars said -“

He scoffed at this “Lars and his big mouth.”

“He didn’t say anything.” Romy said indignantly on behalf of her other brother “just that you guys had a dramatic fall out at the airport and he didn’t get on the plane.”

“Well that’s kinda the gist now, isn’t it?”

There was an edge to Paul’s voice that made Romy shiver, but she tried again, she needed to. Their mother’s reaction to getting hurt had not only been passed on to Romy. If Paul wanted to, he could ‘out petty’ her in a second. She’d be dammed if her brother would let a relationship go to hell cause he inherited their mum's pride and pettiness. She looked up at him, pursing her mouth “you’ve been together for years, and all of a sudden it’s supposed to be over?” Romy pinched his waist when Paul wouldn’t answer her question.

“He cheated on me.” Paul ground out.

“What?” Romy gasped. No way, oh god no wonder Paul was so tight-lipped about it. “I’m so sorry.” She kissed his cheek, trying to make him feel better somehow, despite her anger boiling inside of her. “What an absolute dick. How dare he? I ought to “

Paul let out a humourless laugh “Please don’t get on your soapbox, Romy. Don’t worry, I got even and cheated right back.”

“Oh, Paul.”

“Don’t!”

“Don’t what?”

“Pity me...or judge...we can’t all be perfect. Like you and Steve or Lars and Kristin.”

“We’re not per-“

“Oh please spare me. You are both bloody perfect, settled with your little families, the rings on your fingers and me?” He heaved out a breath “do you know how hard it is to reach that kind of perfection. How it’s fucking required in our family?”

“Don’t you dare!” Romy jabbed him in the chest, she was fuming. “Don’t you fucking dare to put your cheating on me and Lars. This has nothing to do with perfection.” She shouted. “Absolutely fucking nothing. Relationships are not perfect. They’re messy and work hard bloody work. I choose Steve every fucking day. Every fucking day.”

A door slammed upstairs making Steve wince, with a sigh he got up, put a hand on his arm prevented him from moving.

“Don’t.” Lars shook his head.

Steve’s eyebrows rose, how could he be so calm? “Didn't you hear them? Shouldn’t we check up on them?”

Lars chortled out a laugh “and get in the firing line? Definitely not. Paul and Romy have a way of riling each other up. Getting involved just makes it worse.” He pointed to a fainted scar on his forehead. “Believe me. Best stay out of it.”

And Lars was right by the time dinner rolled around the two siblings were in a much better mood, not talking to each other quite yet, but at least nothing was thrown at each other.

“You know Mom” Nahele handed Romy the big serving bowl.

“What, kiddo?” Romy elbow-deep in dishwater turned to him fully.

“Is it always like this when you have siblings?” Nahele mumbled “I mean this afternoon was..” he didn’t know how to describe it.

“Loud?” Romy tried to help him out with a chuckle.

“Yeah,” Nahele said relieved. “I just never heard you shout that loud or be that mean. And if that’s what it is to have siblings, I want to remove my consent to siblings.”

Now Romy really needed to laugh “consent to siblings?!” She hugged him to her, leaving wet handprints all over his shirt. “I love you.” She swallowed her amusement before saying “this afternoon...Paul just managed to...you know what...hold on.” She stepped away from him and hollered through the house “Paul! Get yourself in here.”

It took a couple of minutes for her brother to appear and only her raised pointer finger stopped Nahele from questioning her further. Romy slapped the wet sponge right onto Paul’s chest “why don’t you explain to your nephew how this afternoon relates to sibling behaviour while you clean up the rest?” With that, she sauntered outside to spend some quality time with her husband.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy needed to grin when she spotted Jerry explaining to a very non-interested teenager the story about the corner where he’s charging his phone. The teenager was more blown away by the option of using a phone booth than the actual phone call taking place there in 1963. She was about to say hello when another woman approached them, watching them exchange a hug she filed that information away for later.

“You want me to put a plague there?” She couldn’t help herself.

“Romy! Hi!” Jerry smiled sheepishly like she just caught him with his hand in a cookie jar. “Did you had a nice birthday dinner yesterday?”

“It was wonderful, shame you couldn't join us.”

“Oh, I’m sorry.” Jerry cleared his throat

“Susie. This is Romy. Romy my friend Susie.”

“Well, I won’t keep you from your investigation.” Romy smiled at Jerry and his friend. “I’ll see you on Saturday?” She squeezed his hand.

“Definitely.”

“You’re more than welcome to join us, Susie. We’re having a bbq the more the merrier.”

——xx——xx——

Sitting at her desk she watched the aspirin fizzle in her water glass. Ugh, why didn’t she listen to Steve and took the day after her birthday off? Not that she’d tell him that, he was gloating enough this morning already. Not that last night had not been fun, dinner at her favourite restaurant with her nearest and dearest. She couldn’t wait for Saturday - Steve had promised her a beach day with everyone.

Her musings were interrupted by a nervous-looking Ani “Romy the FBI is here to see you.”

“The FBI?”

Before Ani could confirm or deny if Romy heard correctly, she was pushed out of the way. “Yes, the FBI. I’m Agent Ward.”

“Agent Ward, please do come in.” Romy drawled sarcastically after the agent already stood in the middle of her office. She nodded to the chair in front of her desk, after sitting back down on her own. “What can I do for you?”

“Oh, it’s quite simple. The next time someone from the 5-0 task force comes into this hotel and starts snooping around, asking questions. I want you to give me a call.”

He put his business card on Romy’s desk, not even waiting for a response before he strode back out of her office.

What the fuck was this? Romy fingered the card and dialled Steve with the other.

“Hey, gorgeous. What’s up?” He greeted her after two rings.

“What did you do to piss off the FBI?”

“What?”

“Steve, I just had an Agent Ward in my office, asking me to inform him if anyone from the task force approaches anyone in my hotel. What’s going on?”

“He did what?” Steve fumed through the phone. “Did he say anything to you? Did he do anything?”

“No.”

“You sure?”

“Yes,” she tried to calm him down. His anger had extinguished her anger straight away. “You wanna tell me what’s going on?”

“Susie Fielding. Jerry’s friend she got shot.”

“She what?” Romy leaned back in her chair, she shook that woman’s hand not even 3 hours ago.

“Sniper shot, she was dead instantly.”

“Fuck. How’s Jerry?”

“Pretty shaken.” He took a breath. “He thinks she got shot because she was about to uncover a conspiracy around the Kennedy assassination.”

Romy sighed. “I met her this morning. They were both at the hotel. She seemed lovely. But what has this to do with the FBI?”

“They tried to shut down our investigation.” Steve’s emphasis on tried brought a smile to Romy’s face. Of course, he wouldn’t let some federal agent stop him.

“Yeah, going after the scene in my office you really pissed him off.”

“He didn’t threaten you, did he?”

“No, he was just rude. I honestly think he has no clue about us.”

“What an idiot.” Steve chuckled. “I’ll see you tonight, gorgeous.”

“See you tonight.” Romy hung up the phone - man she did not want to be Agent Ward when Steve caught up with him.

——xx——xx——

They were laying in bed, Romy in between his legs, her chin propped up on his chest. It was nice being just the two of them for once. No brothers, nephews, sisters or sons intruding for once, the house filled to the brim with family made these moments even rarer than normal. Not that he didn’t enjoy having them here, he got along with Romy’s family surprisingly well. He took Paul to the gun range the other day and spend some time on the board with Lars, and Kristin was absolutely hilarious when she was roasting each brother.

But god did he miss this.

Just her and him.

He could admit it, he was man enough. He was jealous of the way her time was sucked up this week. So, when dinner was done. Nahele’s homework had been checked and everyone was yawning, he pulled her away from the dirty dishes and dragged her upstairs. Where he spent the last hour kissing, loving and touching every inch of her skin before he buried himself inside of her.

And now, the sheet tucked over both their heads creating a little world just for the two of them, he felt he could share his day. His anger at the FBI, how they sacrificed Susie, a civilian, for the greater good.

“It's no wonder people don’t trust the government if that’s the endgame.” Steve’s fingers made their path forth and back along Romy’s shoulders.

Romy smoothed her thumb over his worry lines, she didn’t know what to say. There was nothing she could say to make this better for him. He’d been confused and dejected ever since the election. And now this, another blow to the trust in the institutions he fought for. She pressed a kiss right over his heart “I love you.”

There was nothing else she could say, nothing else for her to do, so Romy cuddled closer hoping to make it even slightly better.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy leaned against the garden fence, watching along with Kristin as the boys were bent over the open hood of the Marquis. Steve decided to take advantage to have a mechanic in the family that specialises in vintage cars. Lars was more than excited to get a look at the car. The two women watched as Henri had enough of playing with his stacking bowls and toddled over to the guys. He wedged himself between Steve and Nahele and pulled at Steve’s trousers. Steve laughed and swooped the one-year-old into his arms and pointed out some of the features, listening to the babble, readjusting Henri’s sun hat before pressing a kiss to the forehead.

A sharp jab into her side startled Romy out of her stare.

“Look at you.” Kristin raised her eyebrows and smirked at her. “You back with me now. Or shall I leave you to continue to stare at your man?”

“I can stare if I want. He doesn’t mind.” Romy teased right back.

“Oh that I believe, but I do mind when my son is in the middle of it.”

“What?” Romy exclaimed.

“Oh please, you’re standing here. Realising that he’s not allergic to babies, so now you can go ahead and throw away the birth control.”

Romy gasped “Kristin! You can’t say this shit out loud. They could hear us.”

Kristin snorted “They’re guys, they don’t hear a word we’re saying. You want me to prove it to you? LAR-“ Romy slapped her hand over her sister in laws mouth.

“Would you shut up?” She hissed good naturally.

“So babies?” Kristin prompted again.

Romy squirmed under Kristin’s stare, she grabbed the railing tightly and leaned back, trying to avoid her gaze.

“Stop fidgeting. That didn’t work when you were 13 and it won’t work now that you’re 30.” Kristin grinned. “Come on tell me. I promise I won't tell the brothers.”

Romy bit her lip, trying to hide the smile blooming on her face. “We’ve been talking about it, and I mean seriously talking about it. Like how we’d organise our lives and -“ she was interrupted by Kristin squealing loudly and hugging her. “Oh, I’m so happy for the two of you. This will be so exciting!”

Kristin’s scream had finally got the attention of the guys and Romy just shook her head at Steve’s asking gaze fondly. “All good.” She mouthed to him while being smothered by her sister in law.

“Oi McGarrett!” Lou’s voice carried over from the driveway. “Why am I not smelling any barbecue yet? I brought the steaks.”

Renee came up behind Lou, greeting everyone, but her smile turned downright sneaky when she saw that Henri was still perched quite happily on Steve’s hip.

“This suits you, Steve.” She tickled Henri underneath his chin after she kissed Steve’s cheek. “You and Romy should definitely get on that.”

She left Steve gaping after her and went over to say to Romy.

“Hi!” A blonde woman bounced up to her. “You don’t know me yet. I’m Kristin, the sister in law and your new best friend.” The two linked their arms. “And I totally agree with you, those two need to have another kid asap.”

“Well Kristin, I’m Renee and let’s come up with a plan.” Renee giggled. “Come on Romy, don’t just stand there. Let’s open a bottle.”

——xx——xx——

Steve had been shoved away from his grill by Lou the moment the first set of steaks hit the coals. He wandered through his yard a bit lost. Danny was talking with Romy’s brothers and fuck if that did not scare him, he did not want to be within 10 feet of that conversation. He spotted some of the kids contemplating over the paddleboards and other sports equipment Romy had him drag out of the shed earlier on that morning. Kristin seemed to be right at home giggling with Renee and Kono. He turned on his axis trying to find his wife and son.

His breath hitched for a moment when he saw her and then his whole body relaxed, like always when he laid eyes on Romy.

She had a tight grip on Henri’s hand, while they were wading out a little into the surf. He watched her crouching down next to Henri, pointing something out in the distance. It must have been the wave rolling lazily towards the beach because the little one hopped up and down excitingly. Romy stepped behind him not a second too late and jumped the wave together with him, eliciting exciting shrieks from Henri. He didn’t know for how long he watched them, but it must have been longer than he thought, cause the cheeky laughter next to his ear made him jump slightly.

“I don’t know if Mom told you, but I’d be ok with trying this whole big brother thing.”

Steve raised his eyebrows at Nahele’s subtle hint. “She did and she also told me you tried to take it back.”

“Yeah” Nahele shrugged slightly embarrassed “but Uncle Paul talked me down. So you know, if you guys want to I’d be...”

“Thanks” Steve chuckled “I think you don’t need to worry for a while though.”

“You might want to tell that to your face, Dad.”

“Huh?” Steve tried to rearrange his expression in something more neutral.

“I mean you always look at her like she hung the moon, which I told you is not something a kid wants to see from his parents. But ever since Henri’s been here, it’s different.”

“And you’d be really ok with that?” Steve wanted to know, one of the reasons they hadn’t taken their hypothetical talks further was Nahele. They didn’t want him to feel left out or an ounce less loved should they have another kid.

“You’re great parents, be a shame to waste all of that just on me.” Nahele tried to joke.

Steve looked at him sharply, tugging his son to him, making sure he met his eyes “It’d be never a waste, ‘Hele. You hear me.”

“Yeah. Yeah.” Nahele dropped his head on Steve’s shoulder. “Just saying I’d be alright with it.”

“Thanks, kiddo.” He ruffled Nahele’s hair. “Love you.”

“Love you too, Dad.”

Before Steve could say anything else, Nahele had dashed away from his side and joined the other kids in a pickup game of football. Leaving his Dad to mull over his words while he continued to watch Romy play with Henri.

——xx——xx——

Groaning Romy rolled over snuggling into Steve’s back, her nose buried between his shoulder, her lips the following suit. Steve moaned when he felt her lips connecting with his skin and turned around to face Romy. Their lips met in a chase kiss, their legs tangled.

“How hungover are you?” He asked, weighing up the pros and cons of morning sex.

“Very,” Romy murmured, her fingers moving through his morning scruff, loving how he kept it longer at the moment. The burn of his scruff was one of the best feelings, may it be on her neck or on the inside of her tights. She rolled her hips against his, fuck she was horny. She grimaced a little at the queasiness that rolled through her at the same time.

“I think that puts a stop to morning sex, wife,” Steve whispered against her lips. Romy pouted “Not fair. I want you.” She clawed at his shoulders.

Steve chuckled, brushing some stray locks out of her face and crutches along Romy’s scalp making her moan. “I don’t feel like you losing the rest of last nights alcohol all over me.”

“Spoilsport.”

“How about this, I’m going downstairs making breakfast. Then we drop off the family at the airport and then we come back here and have a nice long bath?” His fingers moved to her temple massaging the headache, while the other slid out of Romy's her to the back of her neck, trying to ease some of the tension. She snuggled closer, her face fitting perfectly in the space between his head and shoulder.

“You gonna wash my hair too?”

“I could be persuaded.” Steve kissed her forehead and move to replace his fingers with his mouth, all the way from her temple to her neck.

A bang from downstairs interrupted them, making them groan in frustration. Steve pushed himself into an upright position. “Ugh, let me feed the hoards.”

Romy shuffled around to watch Steve shrug into some sweats to head downstairs. “I’ll join you in just a few minutes.”

Steve turned to her from the doorway “I think I can handle your brothers for the morning, gorgeous. I’ll bring you a coffee up in a moment.”

“God! I love you.” Romy groaned out and buried herself back underneath the pillows and sheets.

 

——xx——xx——

 

If Romy felt rough, then Kristin looked even worse and she was glad that she didn’t need to actually embark on a day-long journey with a toddler and two men who could behave like a toddler at the drop of ahead.

At the airport, there were tears and hugs and promises of seeing each other soon again, and then they were gone.

Romy leaned against Steve smearing her tear-stained face against his pineapple print shirt.

“Come on gorgeous” he squeezed her shoulder “let's go home. I still owe you a bath.” Steve let his hand slid down to the small of her back guiding Romy out of the busy airport.

Chapter 36: I’ve been waiting for you

Summary:

A kidnapping interrupts a birthday party and brings the 5-0 team all the way to Mexico. 

Notes:

Warnings: Kidnapping, mentions of torture, Smut - Phone Sex (kind of)

Episode: Season 7 -  Episode 11 -13

Hello lovelies, 
Are you ready for another slice of Romy & Steve? I’ve tried something a bit different this time, and I do hope it worked. Let me know! Your comments and kudos make my day, please keep them coming!
Enjoy xx 

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 ——xx——xx—— 

It went all so quickly one moment they were celebrating Chin’s birthday, well Romy and Steve were trying to find a cloakroom to disappear into, and the next they were on a plane to Mexico. Steve had not been able to keep his hands or eyes off her for most of the night. The dress Romy was wearing mesmerised him and he needed to know how much or rather how little underwear she had on underneath. With everyone distracted by the video, he seized his chance and dragged Romy out. He pushed her against the first flat surface he could find, their lips met in a heated kiss. Romy moaned, she had no idea what had Steve riled up so much, but damn she was here for it. 

Her hands in his hair, pushing him closer to her. Between fevered kisses, Romy let out a mewl “Fuck Steve. If you continue like this I let you fuck me here in this hallway.” Her hips moved, coming in contact with his hard length. Steve shuddered, his breath hot on Romy’s neck. “No...” he started to suck lightly on her skin, her perfume making him dizzy with desire “you’re mine” his hands moved up her leg and he groaned when he couldn’t feel her panties where those usual began. “You’re killing me gorgeous.” 

Romy let out a laugh “I hope not,  necrophilia really ain’t my thing.” She started to fumble with his belt buckle, getting desperate herself. 

“Ok.” Steve lifted his lips off hers, his hands still roaming all over her body. How was her skin so soft? “We need a room. We need a room now!” He wrenched his lips off his wife and grabbed her hand. Pulling her along the hallway they tried several doors, all locked, he banged the fourth door in desperation. Romy draped all over him, she giggled into his neck “they really don’t want us to have any fun.” Her hands reaching around starting to unbutton his shirt from behind, Steve’s head fell against her shoulder. He was short of not caring anymore either, if they couldn’t find 4 walls an alcove had to do. An idea crossed his mind and he dug deep into his trousers pocket, with a successful grin he dangled something in front of Romy’s face “How about some fun in “

“In the car!” Romy snatched them out of his hand, her eyes alight with excitement and thrill. She couldn’t say anything else as she tumbled face-first into Steve’s chest. 

“Ooof!” 

Steve steadied her while looking up who had crashed into them. 

Chin.

Their friend didn’t spare them a glance as he rushed past them, his phone firmly pressed against his ear. 

“Chin?” Steve shouted at his retreating back. “Chin!”

“You ok?” He watched Romy brushing out a wrinkle in her dress. 

“What are you waiting for?” She asked. “Let’s go” and with that, she took off. Steve had caught up with her in two steps, her heels not allowing her to run very fast. With one swoop he had her over his shoulder tearing after Chin. He watched him race away on his motorcycle, trying to understand what was going on. A squeeze to his ass brought him back. 

“You can let me down you know.” Romy sassed, her hands still on his ass. Carefully he helped her slide down from his shoulder. He held out his hand to her, with a smile she interlaced their fingers and they dashed over to Steve’s truck, ready to chase their friend down. 

“Not really how I imagined ‘Let’s have some fun in the car.’ to go.” Romy grinned, her fingers tracing figures on Steve’s, he lifted their hands to his lips, kissing her knuckles. 

They were racing through Honolulu, trying to catch up with Chin, but he had a definite advantage on his bike, slipping through traffic easily. 

“There he is!” Romy exclaimed when she spotted him a couple of cars ahead. 

“Hold on!” Steve put his foot firmly on the gas, rolling down his window. 

Finally, they got their friend to stop and to explain what happened. 

Sara, this sweet little girl had been kidnapped. 

Sara who’d sat on her lap to get her hair braided rode on Nahele’s back, snatched away. Romy could feel the tears coming as she messaged the group chat with the news, half-listening to Steve’s pleas for Chin to be clever. 

A sigh of relief when he agreed to give them one hour to organise everything. 

Steve slid back into the car, with a pensive face, Romy could only imagine all the scenarios running through his head. 

“The team is meeting you at the palace.”

“Huh?” He turned to her and smiled when she waved her phone at him. 

“Thanks.” 

“That’s what you got me for.” Romy winked. “I drop you off at the palace and head home to pack a bag for you and Danny.”

 

 ——xx——xx——

 

It had taken Romy almost an hour to drive back home to ‘Āina Haina and then heading over to Danny’s and back to the palace. She needed to smile when she saw Adam, Renee and Abby pull into the parking lot at the same time, all of them carrying duffle bags. “We should come up with a name for us.” Abby joked. 

She was not surprised at all when she saw the kids holed up in Steve’s office, as secured away as possible while the team loaded their weapons into cases. 

 ——xx——xx——

Romy was in Steve’s arms, her face buried in his chest. “Be careful, Commander.” 

“I try my best.” He kissed the top of her head. 

She got on her toes and kissed him softly, her forehead resting against his when they separated “I know you can’t always call me, so I’ve loaded something on your phone, something to listen to, when you need it - when you need me.” 

“Romy?” Steve’s thumbs brushed over her cheekbones. 

“Just indulge me...it’s a bit silly, but it helped me, so...” she shrugged. 

“I love you.” One final kiss and he was off. 

Getting in Lou’s SUV he watched all of them standing in front of the palace. Charlie sitting on Romy’s hip, her arms around Nahele and Grace. She was still wearing her heart-attack-inducing dress, the effect tampered by the kids hanging onto her and the white Superga trainers adorning her feet instead of the strappy heels from earlier in the night. He shook his head, how did the whole scene make her even sexier? 

 

 ——xx——xx——

 

Steve had settled down in the plane, trying to catch some sleep despite Danny’s teasing on how he was not allowed to fly the plane when he remembered Romy’s words from earlier on. He swiped through his phone a couple of times trying to find what she downloaded until he landed on the voice recorder app, it displayed new records downloaded from the family iCloud. Yes, they were that kind of couple, not that he’d ever tell Danny, but he couldn’t give a fuck. He liked that they shared mundane things like that and he’d be the first to admit that he was shit with this type of technology and let Romy handle most of it. He scrolled through the titles and realised she must have done these since he came back from Morocco. 

He made sure his headphones were in securely, before pressing play on the first one; The introduction. 

“Hey, Steve I know this is different but I do hope it helps. I hate it when you rush off into situations where I don’t know what’s happening to you. And while I hate not being there for you, I could not imagine actually being there. Anyway, so I thought...I remembered how we kept in touch while I was in London and well, I came up with this. I know I always feel so much better when I’m able to run a situation past you and hear you weigh in on it, so I do hope you feel the same.

This might be a bit silly, but humour me, if only to make me feel better that I send you off without any kind of support. I love you.” 

Steve clutched the phone to his chest. How did she know? That he needed her exactly then when it was too dangerous or just impossible for her to be there? Scrolling through the titles he smirked, she really thought of everything. 

 

 ——xx——xx——

 

He had listened to another one of Romy’s voice notes while he got ready to intrude onto Ramirez house, it was aptly named; 

The Pep Talk 

“I know you can do this. Nobody else could do this but you.  There is no one in the world and I would trust with my life and the life of my son. If it comes down to it, you are the one I want to be flying the jet, if there is an asteroid heading towards the earth. You are the one man in my life I trust that when he says jump I will jump. I know you’d only ask me to do this because it will save me. You never ask for anything on your own and the number of people that you have helped despite or maybe because of your unorthodox methods is uncountable. I love you. I know you’re doing the right thing. You will never disappoint me, you’re my hero Steve McGarrett and I love you.” 

Fuck how did he make it out of that house alive? He fell back into the seat letting out a huge breath. 

“We’re not telling Romy about this,” Kono stated. 

“Yeah, definitely not.” Steve chuckled drily. “She’d kill us both for being that reckless.”

Back at the house, he scrolled through his phone and needed to chuckle, and hit play. 

“What the fuck were you thinking? I mean honestly! You are really trying to get killed, aren’t you? Have you got no sense of self-preservation at all?  I mean diving headfirst into that situation? Where are you even thinking about me? About Nahele? I need you to come home so be smart and not a dickhead about this. I love you.” 

 

 ——xx——xx——

 

Steve sat in the car, trying to ignore Danny’s bitching, how this was the worst idea he ever had. He knew this wasn’t perfect, storming an actual police station and stealing back money, but what choice did they have?

“Can I wait in the car?” Danny sounded just like Nahele when he didn’t want to go somewhere. 

“No, you can’t.” Steve retorted “Let’s go!” He pulled down the black face mask. Romy’s words from the last message on his mind. 

“I need you to take a breath.  In and out and again, breathe deeply. I know this isn’t easy. What you do has never been easy. But I know you will do the right thing. I’ll be here when you come back. I love you.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

Luckily their stunt paid off, they got the money and finally a date and time to exchange the money for Sara. This Mexican nightmare was over soon, hopefully.

As always nothing could ever be easy for them - the money exchange had been a trap. Set up by the Diego Cartel,  for shooting the brother of the head of the cartel. Sara’s kidnapping was revenge - revenge on 5-0. 

And then, Chin disappeared, trying to right a wrong by putting himself on the line in exchange for his niece. Steve wanted to punch something! They had a plan, a motherfucking plan to find her and free Sara and now they listened to their friend saying goodbye to them. 

They drove up to the exchange, Chin had already gone, leaving Sara and his shield behind.

 

——xx——xx——

 

He hated this, he absolutely despised almost nothing more than this. Steve knew that this man in front of him, a card-carrying member of the Diego Cartel would not hesitate at all should their roles be reversed, but still, torturing anyone made him sick to his stomach. He didn’t care how skilled he was at it. He had sent the others away, preferring not to be watched while beating a man so much he would give up any information. Steve knew they would look at him differently, once they fully knew what he could capable of. 

He tried to be quiet when he was retching up the little he had for dinner after he was done with the scum bag and washed the blood off his hands. He still felt shaky when he pulled out his phone, scrolling through Romy’s list. He slid down to the bathroom floor, holding his phone tightly against his ear as he pressed play. 

“I love you so much. You make me fly the highest I have ever been. You are my rock, my hero and you drive me mad. 

I love your smile, the way your eyes crinkle when something amuses you.  I love the way you hold my hand, how you make me feel with just one touch. I love the way you are with our family, that nothing is ever too much of an effort when it comes to them. I love, what for an amazing dad you are, how you make him glow up. I’m so proud of you that you’re raising a good kid and that’s because you’re a good man - my man. I love that you cook and I love that you do the hoovering and I love the way your hand fits into my into mine. I love how we fit, like puzzle pieces right where we belong. I love the home that we made. I love that you can drive me up the wall and that you make me smile so much and laugh - god you’re the most funniest person ever. I love that you can benchpress me and lift me, even if I’m not that skinny anymore, hell I never was that skinny. One day you’re going to break your back, I’ll love you anyway.  I love how you can make me feel like the only person in the room. I love you and your stubbornness. I love how you start to get a bit grey, it's hot - trust me. I love us too. I love how we are together, a team, partners for life.  I love you.” 

 

Steve took a slow breath and lifted himself back up from the floor. Romy knew everything, every single thing he’d ever done and if she could still love him like this, he could continue and bring their family home. 

 

 ——xx——xx——

 

For a moment, a very brief moment, Steve had hoped that the knock would reveal Romy on the other side. He was jealous when Kono fell into Adam’s arms, soaking in the support from her partner. The next second he was berating himself, how could he wish that his wife was put in the middle of this, but god he missed her. He pressed play on his phone while he loaded the car, readying it for another suicide rescue mission. 

For when you miss me 

“A little self-indulgent maybe but I miss you so much, it’s good to know that you miss me too. I look at pictures of us when it becomes too much. Yeah yeah, I know it is the girly thing to do, isn’t it? And then I look at my hand and look at the ring that you put there and what it represents for us.  It reminds me that you have its partner sitting right on your hand, so it doesn’t matter how far or for how long we’re apart. There is always a little piece of you with me and a little piece of me with you. God, do I sometimes feel alone when you’re gone. Do you know that the lanai door squeaks when you open it just at the right angle?  I keep forgetting to tell you to fix it. I don’t know why maybe it’s to assure myself there are still things that you need to do so you can’t leave me...silly I know. Don’t judge! I sometimes wonder, what are you doing when you’re missing me? Are you looking at your ring?  Are you looking at pictures of us or reading our text messages or don’t you miss me at all? I hope not. Anyway, I miss you and I can’t wait for you to be back.” 

 

God she had no idea how much he missed her, how he couldn’t wait to be home again with her. Soon, he promised himself. He folded the photograph along the well-worn lines and tucked it back into his tac vest, right where it always sat. Steve patted the spot twice for good luck and closed the booth with a thud. 

“Let’s go!” 

 

 ——xx——xx——

 

A massive sigh of relief went through the whole team when they rescued Chin and had him safely back in their fold and Steve was finally able to return the shield to its right full owner. 

He stood in the bathroom, waiting for the water to heat up, he was ready for the last two days to be washed away until they were a distant memory. He hit play on Romy’s next message. 

“Okay before you listen to this make sure you’re on your own and you’ve got headphones in. I’m not joking should I find out that this made the rounds, I’ll hunt you down. I’m running my fingers over my collarbone, slowly making my way down to my breasts, my nipples. Circling them with my fingers, tweaking them. Oh god, that feels good. Are you touching yourself already? Is your hand wrapped around your cock? I want to taste you, take you into my mouth, suck you deep. God, I’m so wet for you. Just imagining you sitting there touching yourself while listening to me. Fuck, Steve. I - I, my fingers are circling my clit, just right above it.  I miss you. Your fingers feel different, they stretch me so deliciously. Hitting just the right spot inside of me. Oh....god! Fuck, right there. Yes! Steve! I’m cumming.” Laboured breaths interrupted Romy’s Monologue. “Fuck, how can you make me come when you’re not even here? God, I can't wait to have my lips on you again, to feel you come down my throat. To see your face when you cum. The way you twitch when I hit just the right spot...mmhm...you gonna cum soon? I need you to cum for me, Steve.” 

Steve breathed heavily, looking at the mess he just made, grabbing some paper tissues sitting next to the sink, he really hoped nobody heard him. His head jerked up when he heard Romy’s voice again. “If I was there, I’d have swallowed every single drop, clean you right up.” Steve’s head fell forward. His wife was going to be the death of him and he wouldn’t have it any other way. 

 

 ——xx——xx——

 

Steve wandered up and down the small aeroplane, all of his team were curled up in their seats. Sara tucked in closely with Chin, right where she belonged. He couldn’t settle though, his thoughts still jumping back to everything that happened the last two days. He sat down heavily in his seat, with a smile he realised that he should not have doubted Romy. 

 

If you can’t sleep 

“You’re starting a new book because who knows, which one we’re reading by the time you listen to this. Close your eyes, Steve. Imagine you’re in our bedroom, the blinds are open and your hand is sliding through my hair. My fingers tracing the shapes on your chest and I press play on the new audiobook, 

The terracotta dog  by Andrea Camilleri, 

To judge from the entrance the dawn was making, it promised to be a very iffy day – that is, blasts of angry sunlight one minute, fits of freezing rain the next, all of it seasoned with sudden gusts of wind – one of those days when someone who is sensitive to abrupt shifts in weather and suffers them in his blood and brain is likely to change opinion and direction continuously, like those sheets of tin, cut in the shape of banners and roosters, that spin every which way on rooftops with each new puff of wind. Inspector Salvo Montalbano had always belonged to this unhappy category of humanity. It was something passed on to him by his mother...

Now close your eyes and sleep.”

 

 ——xx——xx——

 

It was early when he let himself into the house, a quietness greeted him that he fully embraced. It was like balm on his soul. Carefully he made his way upstairs, avoiding the creaky step with practised ease. He opened the door to Nahele’s room, smiling at the sight of his son spread all over the bed, the sheets halfway on the floor. Steve made his across to the bed, brushing some wayward curls from Nahele’s face. He was safe and sound right where he belonged. 

Steve slipped back out of the room and into his own bedroom, and if possible his heart grew another size. There she was, Romy, his pillow safely enclosed in her arms. He shed his close quickly and slid into the bed, manoeuvring Romy into his arms, her back firmly pressed into his chest. His kiss on her shoulder, made Romy stir. 

Steve shushed “Go back to sleep, gorgeous.” 

“You’re back.” 

Steve could hear the smile in her sleep-laden voice. “I’m back.” He confirmed, his lips skimming over her warm skin. 

“Nahele was worried you’d miss Christmas.” 

Christmas, damn! He had completely forgotten that tomorrow was Christmas Day. He had already missed the German portion of the holiday. 

“I’m sorry - “

“Don’t.” Romy interrupted him. She let go of his pillow and turned around, slinging her arms around him and burying her face into his chest. “You’re home. Sara is safe. The rest is not important right now.” 

“It was bad, Romy. We almost lost Chin and Sara...” Steve broke off, unable to continue, to even imagine what could have happened. He buried his face into her hair, breathing her in, the romance of her perfume and a scent that was so truly Romy. He almost missed her next words. 

“It’s over. Nothing matters right now. You’re home. I’ve been waiting for you.” 

And Steve was able to breathe again. 

 

 

 

Notes:

Random question - I was thinking of recording this fic as a pod fic. Would you be interested in listening to it?

Chapter 37: What do ya say, kiddo?

Summary:

Life’s a whirlwind for Steve and Romy, but despite all that, they manage to make a very important decision

Notes:

Warnings: None
Episode: Season 7 -  Episode 12 - 15

Hello lovelies, 
I think I’ve been missing my family in the last couple of weeks hence we got a chapter full of family moments.
This chapter brings us one mire closer to the big reveal.
Your reviews and messages make day, please keep them coming.
Enjoy xx 

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

“Hey man!” Steve greeted Lou “what are you doing here? I don’t pay you enough to come here on a Saturday.”

“Yeah, I know, but Duke had asked me ages ago to help him out with a SWAT seminar for the convention next week and” Lou shrugged “my wife is out with Romy shopping for a dress.”

Steve groaned The annual New Year’s Eve Gala at the Royal Hawaiian. Last year he could bow out because the kids needed a place to host their party and he’d rather play chaperone than schmooze on that gala. What were his chances to get out of it this year? His attention was suddenly diverted to a yawning Jerry in his office. Was he wearing Cookie Monster pyjamas?

“Hey, Jerry...”

 ——xx——xx—— 

“So let me get this straight - Jerry is homeless, Lou pretended to be a car salesman, Hirsch crashed your truck, you busted up a heroin dealer, Max is leaving us and you managed to lose a uranium rod?”

Steve’s head fell onto Romy’s shoulder and groaned. Wasn’t that enough?

“You had a busy day, Schnuffi.” Romy scratched his scalp. “But can I ask a question?”

“Sure,” Steve mumbled against her neck.

“How do you lose Uranium? I mean it's not like you can carry this around like a handbag?”

“Don’t, please!” Steve groaned again, he sounded like he was in physical pain. “It was a shitty day. I just want to forget.”

“Well,” Romy pushed his head up, so their eyes met “I think I got just the right thing for you.”

Steve squinted at her, this could mean anything.

“I went to your favourite shop after getting my dress, and I think you might like what I bought.” she hopped down from the kitchen counter and sauntered towards the stairs. “You coming or what?” Romy threw over her shoulder. Steve didn’t need any further encouragement, within two steps he had caught up with her and threw her over his shoulder, making Romy giggle in surprise. It didn’t take long for those to turn into moans.

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

How was it New Year’s Eve again? Steve could not believe how quickly this year had passed. Have they really been married for over 6 months? Is Nahele going to be 17 next year?

“Thank you again!” Steve lounged on their bed watching Romy getting dressed.

“For what?” she had disappeared back into the bathroom applying her make up.

“That you don’t make go to this thing tonight.” he fell back into the pillows.

Romy laughed at his relief “My pleasure.” she watched him scratch his belly through the mirror. “To be honest, I don’t think I would have wanted to take you anyway.”

That made Steve sit up “What? Why?”

“You only ever complain about dressing up, and doing the small talk and schmoozing with people. I’d rather go alone than you being miserable and then me being miserable because of your mood.”

Steve came up behind her, pressing a kiss to her shoulder “Fair enough,” he grinned sheepishly.

“I’m gonna be working in any case. It’s not likeI’m doing this for fun.” Romy turned around and patted his cheek, before slipping past him back to the bedroom. She stepped into the ruby red dress, she had bought for the occasion. “You mind zipping me up?”

Steve slowly dragged the zip up her back “I’d rather help you get out of it.”

“A couple of hours and you can,” she whispered.

The loud slam of the house door interrupted their moment, and they shared a worried look. Nahele should be at a party of his own.

“Nahele?” Steve called out into the house, and they could hear the stomping of feet. Romy let out a startled gasp when she saw him at their door. “What happened?”

“Madison and I - we are over!” he declared hotly.

“Oh, Nahele!” Romy gathered the skirt of her dress and rushed over. A stretched out a hand from Nahele stopped her.

“Don't Mom. I’m not in the mood.” with that he stormed back out, a moment later another slammed door vibrated through the house.

Romy turned to Steve, her facial expression completely helpless. “Did you know?”

“Did I know what?” Steve shrugged “He hasn’t said anything about them having troubles. You?”

“Me? When?” Romy gnawed on her thumb. “You’re the one going running with him every morning.”

They stood in front of his closed bedroom door, Steve knuckles hovering over the wood and glanced over at Romy. She shrugged at him and then nodded ‘Go for it’ and his hand rapped against the door.

“Nahele, kiddo. We just want to make sure you’re ok.”

Silence on the other side, until a heavy and drawn out sigh, reached them. “Just leave me alone.”

“What do we do?” Romy whispered harshly.

“What do you mean!” Steve looked at her panicked. “I thought you knew how to deal with that.”

“Yes, if he’d be a girl, we would be wallowing, eat ice cream and watch bad movies. You’re a guy what did you do as a teenager?”

She sighed when Steve didn’t respond.

“I don’t think I ever had a break up like that...”

“Pfft...true you just tumbled into women sideways and then waited for it to fizzle out...” Romy looked at him sharply when Steve didn’t refute her statement straight away. “Please don’t tell me there isn’t a poor woman somewhere in this world who still thinks you guys are in a relationship.”

“Brothers!” Steve blurted out. “You got them right?”

Romy frowned, did he had a stroke in the last two minutes and forgot she had two of those? Or did he really wanted to get out of her previous question that badly?

“Text them and ask.” He handed Romy her phone.

“You’ve met my brothers, right? They’re useless...the only thing they ever suggested was to either beat the dude up or tell me not to date.”

“Yeah, well Nahele ain’t their little sister.” Steve tapped her phone again.

He did have a point, with a put-out expression Romy typed out a message in the group chat. “I bet you a foot massage that they’ll come through.” Steve smiled.

“My mangled feet are looking forward to it and since when the overwhelming confidence in my brothers?”

“Trust me, gorgeous. They’ll come through, you’ll see.” Steve really hoped they did or they were done for.

He had no idea for how long they waited for, Romy had grasped his hand anxiously, trying to get him to stop pacing, while she had gnawed off her red lipstick. They both startled when her phone vibrated in her hand.

Romy snorted “They’re even more useless than I gave them credit for.”

“What do you mean?” They wouldn’t let him down, would they? What happened to the Bro Code.

“Lars just wrote ‘no one ever broke up with me so I can’t help.’ I don’t know if I want to smack him or smack Kristin for marrying him.” Romy took a healthy sip of her whiskey, that had made appearances during Steve’s first round of pacing. “And Paul suggested ugh...I can’t even…” she turned her screen over to Steve. “Sometimes he forgets that Nahele is 16 and my son.” She shuddered again.

The sudden opening of the door made her stumble backwards, almost taking Nahele down with her if it wasn’t for Steve’s quick reflexes.

“I can hear you, you know!” Nahele growled. “I don’t want ice cream or advice or the whole world to know. I just want to be left alone!” and the door slammed once more.

Steve’s hand was on the doorknob in an instant.

“Don’t” Romy shook her head at him.

“He cannot talk to us that way.”

“I know, but he’s hurting.” Slowly she managed to drag him away from Nahele’s bedroom down the stairs.

“That’s no excuse.”

“Let it go for today, please.” she pleaded, her phone vibrating once more. This time it wasn’t her brothers but Ani, checking where she was. Apparently, she was running 15 minutes late to the gala already.

“Should I still go?” Romy fretted while pulling on her heels.

Steve steadied her, with his hand on her elbow. “It’s a breakup, we’ll be fine.” he tried to reassure her.

“You sure?”

“Yes, go! Before Ani has a heart attack dealing with all the bigwigs on her own.”

“Thank you and you call me if some…” she was interrupted by his lips on hers.

“Go and try to have fun.” Steve pushed her out of the house gently “I love you.”

——xx——xx—— 

The house was dark when Romy pulled back into the driveway. Steve must be out on the lanai or drawn the curtains to watch a movie. She unlocked the door carefully.

“Romy? Really?”

She let out a startled gasp, her hand flying to her chest. “Steve! You planning to kill me?”

“I’m not sneaking into a dark house” he looked at his watch “2 hours after leaving it for a work do, you should still be at.” he raised an eyebrow questioningly.

Romy sighed “I couldn’t concentrate. I kept checking my phone.” she let out another sad sigh.

Steve held out his arms and she readily collapsed into them, burying her face deep into his chest.

“It’s not that I don’t trust you to handle this…it’s just…I didn’t want to be away.”

Steve’s large hands making broad strokes down Romy’s back, pulling her legs over his lap, settling her more comfortable against him. “I know,” he whispered into her hair. “He’s our son and he’s hurting.” Romy nodded at this. “I ventured into his room after you left. He’s staring at the wall and doesn’t want to talk. I told him the way he spoke to us is not on, but whenever he’s ready we’re here.”

Romy fingered his wedding band “You’re a good Dad.”

Steve smiled, kissing her temple “You’re a good Mom.”

“Do you think we should go check on him again?” Romy asked after a couple of minutes.

“Will you listen to me when I tell you to leave him be?” Steve asked knowingly.

Romy hid her face in his shoulder “I’d try.”

“Well, that’s all I can ask for.”

With a sigh Romy got up, “I’m gonna go get my make up off and try very hard not to knock on his door.”

Steve watched her ascend the stairs, the dress of her skirt swishing with every step she took, revealing her leg by a very strategically placed slit.

How did he not notice this before?

She had looked amazing tonight, he almost regretted not going with her, but her sheepish look when she tried to sneak back into her own house, made his heart grow even more. With a silly smile on his face, he turned back to the TV, trying to find where they stopped The West Wing before he went to Mexico.

He turned around to again when he heard her footsteps, he sucked in a breath. She looked so soft right now. How did she manage to go from the absolute dramatic outfit a second ago to this? Romy had scrubbed her face free of makeup and her hair no longer swept to the side with the large hairpin but tucked behind her ears. The shirt she wore soft from being washed a thousand times and tucked slightly into her sleep shorts. He held out his arm, ready for her to snuggle into it. Romy took the invitation without a second thought, making herself at home being draped over Steve’s lap. The only remnant of her earlier get up was the leftover perfume still hanging in her hair, Steve took a sniff.

“Is that my shirt?” He asked, fingering the neckline, it did look vaguely familiar.

“It went back to London with me two years ago, I don’t know if it still classes as yours?” Romy grinned.

“That’s where it went?” Steve gasped and poked Romy’s side, making her squirm.

she batted her eyelashes at him “You want it back?”

Steve lazed his hand together around Romy’s midriff “Nah it’s ok. Suits you better in any case.”

She grabbed the remote to press play on the queued up episode and said “And you’ll be proud of me. I just knocked on his door, telling him I’m home.”

“I’m so proud” he chuckled, and squeezed her closer to him. “And I put the champagne in the fridge for midnight.”

“We can never tell anyone that we spend New Year’s Eve like this in our Pj’s on the sofa, we’ll never hear the end of it.”

“Our little secret.”

They were halfway through their second episode when Nahele appeared next to the sofa “I…I think, I’m ready for some wallowing now.” his voice hoarse.

“Come here” Romy scooted away from Steve, making some space between them. Nahele didn’t hesitate and made himself comfortable with his parents. “Anything else we can do for you?” she stroked his hair.

“Maybe some ice cream?” Nahele looked up with pleading eyes.

When no one made a move, Romy pinched Steve in the shoulder, prompting him to get up with a look.

“Sure - I’m going, I’m going,” he said, heaving himself off the sofa.

He spooned ice cream in the bowls when he heard Nahele’s voice carrying over from the living room “Why does it hurt so much, Mama.” His heart broke a little at the question. With three full bowls, he made his way back into the living room and his heart burst at the sight. Romy had her arms slung around Nahele and his son’s head nestled in the crook of her head.

“I don’t know, kiddo. It just does and it sucks.” Romy whispered, looking heartbroken at Nahele, her hands still stroking through his hair.

Steve sat down with them and distributed the ice cream, his fingers catching Romy’s behind Nahele’s head, holding on. If anyone would have told him two years ago, that he would not want to be anywhere else on News Years Eve but here. With his wife, a heartbroken teenage son, in their pj’s, melted ice cream and the TV on, he would not have believed it.

But this right here was everything.

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

Romy was running late, oh so late. She had two last-minute conference calls at work and watched the minutes tick by way too quickly. And honestly, if you asked her, the last one definitely could have been an email. She dashed quickly from her car to Kamekona’s. He had outdone himself, the area was decorated beautifully with strung lights and candles.

She suppressed a giggle, as she slid onto the bench next to Steve, Gerard was giving a little impromptu speech “… a good egg.”

“Wow he’s wasted.” she kissed Steve in greeting.

“Yep.” her husband returned the kiss and slid up on the table, so Romy could sit between his legs. He handed her a glass of champagne next. “God I love you.” Romy moaned in appreciation as she downed half of the glass.

“And you're... you're obviously well-loved. I mean, look at this turnout. Anyhoo, I wanted to wish you luck. Rumour has it, you're heading to Madagascar. Never been myself, but hear it's lovely. So, uh, I want to wish you safe travels. I wish you health and happiness. A-And, uh, may the odds be ever in your favor. Oh, and if any of you are interested in acquiring a Crime Clean franchise…”

“You're done.” Romy and Kono shouted at the same time.

“Okay, all right,” Gerard shrugged “Th-that's all. Oh! And l'chaim!”

“L’chaim.” they all cheered and soon chanted for Max to give a speech as well. “Come on, Max.” “Come on, Max.”

“I haven't prepared anything.” he tried to get out of it.

“Come on, say a few words.” Lou shouted out, followed by Kono once more “Speech!”

A little bit nervous Max stood in front of his friends, his family, clearing his throat “Oh. Well, um, thank you, everyone, for coming out tonight. And a very special mahalo to Kamekona for hosting tonight's festivities. Also, I want to reassure my, now, former colleagues that the M.E.'s office will be in very capable hands. Dr Noelani Kunha is more than up to the task. However, if you ever need to consult on open or prior investigations, of course, I am available by e-mail or text. So please contact me at any time. So with that, uh, I just wanted to say mahalo. It's been an honor and privilege to be working with the HPD and the Five-0 Task Force.”

They all applauded, Romy could feel Steve holding in a breath behind her, he was trying not to be too emotional.

“But, what I will miss the most is” Max continued “is my adopted family. And by that I mean you. Commander McGarrett. As you know, I grew up as an only child. And I always wanted a big brother. And when I started working with the Five-0, I finally got one.”

Romy turned around to Steve with a soft smile, squeezing his hands that were looped around her shoulder hanging in front of her.

“Mahalo, Max.” Steve’s voice choked, happy that Max saw him the same way as he did. A brother.

“Detective Williams. This might be a surprise to you, but I always considered you as something of a role model.”

“That does, that does surprise me.” Danny quipped, making everyone laugh once more.

“Surprises us all, Max, but go on.” Steve couldn’t help himself but tease, receiving a small punch on his leg from Romy for his effort to lighten the mood.

“I’ve always been on the receiving end of your sarcasm, but, truth be told, it never bothered me. I always took them as a token of affection. I'm going to miss your little quips. I hope that you would consider texting me one of those from time to time.”

Danny raised his glass, visibly moved by Max words “To you, buddy.” he raised his glass.

“Lieutenant Kelly. Nobody understands the meaning of Ohana more than you. And for that reason, among many others, you are gonna make an amazing father to little Sara. And from what I've already seen, you already are.”

“Mahalo, brother.” Chin smiled, touching his hand to his heart in thanks.

“Kono. Without you, I would've never married my beautiful Sabrina. And Detective Williams is my role model as an individual, but your loving relationship with Adam is something that Sabrina and I hope to emulate.”

“Love you, Max.” Kono held up her glass in thanks.

“Captain Grover. I'll miss your smile.” Bringing out Lou’s trademark smile once more. “Yes, that one.” Max chuckled. “I know a part of you will always belong to Chicago, but Hawaii has claimed you as one of its sons, and I truly believe that the islands are a better place because you are here.”

“Oh, damn it, Max,” Lou said, wiping away a stray tear.

“Jerry. Thank you for being a friend and for all your counsel. You've changed me in many ways and allowed me to grow in ways I never could've imagined. And Romy, if Commander McGarrett is my big brother, then you are my big sister. It was you, actually, that gave me the courage to do what I’m doing now. The way you just packed up your life and followed your dreams or well the man of your dreams” The others cheered and Danny mimed to be sick. “It made me want to do the same. So thank you for inspiring me to go after what I want in life.”

“Oh, Max!” Romy blew him a kiss and used Steve’s shirt to wipe her eyes.

“All of you will be Ohana to me. Forever. I love you.”

“To Max!” They all shouted and lifted their glasses for a toast. One after another they got up and enveloped Max in hugs, wanting one final memory with him, before he left.

“It sucks, how all good things need to come to an end.” Romy wiped away her tears.

“Not all, hopefully.” Steve rested his chin on her shoulder, enveloping her from behind, while they watched their Ohana bid farewell to one of their own.

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

Why was this making him so nervous? Steve tapped a rhythm onto his phone while waiting for the examiner. He really should not have brought Danny to this, he was having the time of his life going after the gleeful expression on his face.

“Good Morning.” he stood up straight when the woman came over to them with a clipboard. Why oh why did she remind of Ms Bowers?

“Good morning. Commander McGarrett?”

He swiped his hands o his trousers. “Yes, ma'am.” He needed to get a grip, he taught Nahele how to drive and he passed his test, then his passing should be a given.

“Says here you've never renewed your license since returning from active duty?”

“That's correct.” Danny butted in “That's correct. For seven years, this man has been driving without a license. I-I would say that that is grounds for permanent suspension or expulsion. Don't you think so?”

Why did he think this was a good idea? Bringing Danny? He needed this license, everything was depending on his fucking driver’s license.

“And you are?” The instructor turned to Danny, clearly not happy with his intrusion, at least they got that in common.

“I am, uh... “

“Annoying.” Steve filled in.

“Yeah,” Danny nodded “very, eh, annoying, yes, but also, very excited to see if you survive this man's driving test.”

“This is my partner, Detective Danny Williams.” Steve gestured over to him “Uh, I don't even know why he's here. If you could, uh, do me a favor, ignore him, maybe we can we get started?”

“Hold on. I got some questions.” Danny piped up again, and Steve contemplated how much trouble he’d be in if he shot him or maybe just dump that stupid coffee over Danny’s shirt.

“Just one quick thing before you get started, uh... You guys are go gonna go over speed limits, correct?”

The instructor frowned “It's a comprehensive road test, covering all the driving laws in the state of Hawaii.”

“Good, comprehensive” meaning, uh, like, driving on sidewalks, popping curbs, going under semi-trucks. Stuff like that?”

That was it, he really was going to shoot him. “Shut up!” Steve pressed out.

“Is he serious?” The instructor turned to him, she looked worried.

“No. No. He's not serious…” Shit this was so not going the way he wanted. “Well, kind of, but I, look, but I would only... I would never do anything like that unless I absolutely had to.” He moved over to the passenger side, opening the door for her.

“He would never do anything like that,” Danny added sarcastically.

“Hey.” Steve closed the door and gestured wildly “Go away. Just go away.”

“No. I will not go away.” Danny retorted.

Steve was getting desperate “Get... Would you get out of here, please?”

“Sir.” He opened the door for Steve with a smug grin on his face, and then bend through the open window “Hey. Hey. You are safe, okay? And you, your best defence would be two hands up on the dash, at all times.”

Steve ground his teeth together and wondered how many points he would get deducted if he drove over Danny’s foot, by pure accident, of course, then Danny started chanting and damn this would not be an accident and definitely not just Danny’s foot.

“Go away, please.” Steve buckled his seat belt.

“Vamanos, uh, hibiscus, or whatever they say.”

“Thank you. Go away.” Steve pressed out, as he rolled slowly out of the parking lot.

Trying very hard to ignore Danny’s shout of “That's not how he would do it normally just so you know!”

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

“Let me through now!” Nahele shouted at the US Marshall in front of him. “Dad! Dad!” that finally made Steve turn around. All the colour washed out of his face and he jogged over to the roadblock.

“Let him through!” he barked at the Marshall.

“No one in and no one out, Commander.”

“He’s my son. Let him through right now.” Steve’s hand hovered over his weapon, he wouldn’t shoot but damn if he didn’t let his son through in an instant. Finally, the Marshall nodded and stepped aside, letting Nahele pass the control station. Steve clasped him closely, leading him over to his truck “What are you doing here, Hele?”

“How can you let them do this, Dad! This is sacred land! This isn’t right.” Nahele blurted out.

“Hey, take a breath.” Steve interrupted him, his hands on Nahele’s shoulders. “Now tell me what are you doing here?”

“It’s all over social, Dad. That the government plans to invade the nation.” Nahele was beside himself. “You’ve got to stop this, Dad! Please! Promise me.”

“I’m trying, kid. I really am, but the matter is out of my hands.” at that moment Steve hated himself, disappointing his son when he wanted something so desperately.

“No! You always come up with something.” Nahele threw his fists against Steve’s chest. Steve closed his eyes at the onslaught, holding Nahele close.

“It will not come to that. We’ve got until sundown. I promise you, this will not happen.”

“Promise?” Nahele’s voice was incredibly small.

“Promise.” Steve pressed a little kiss into the teenagers hairline.

“McGarrett, what is this?” Bumpy barrelled towards them. “We have children inside. People are frightened.” He stopped short when he saw the teenager in the ranks of police.

“Bumpy - this is my son Nahele.” Steve interrupted the man, not trying to be rude, but he had a child here as well. “Nahele this is Bumpy the head of the Nation Hawai’i.”

Bumpy took a breath “Aloha Keiki.” he said. “I didn’t know you had a child.”

Steve nodded at that statement, unsure where the native Hawaiian was going with this.

“He’s native.” Bumpy asserted. “And you still condone this?” He made a sweeping gesture.

“Does it look like I’m condoning any of this?” Steve started but was interrupted by Chin.

“They’re going to cut Water and Electricity in 15 minutes,” he spat out.

Fuck - this was escalating quickly and now his son was right in the middle of it. His phone still in his hand with the message from Danny, requesting him to come back to the Palace.

“We’ve got a lead, Chin. I’m going to go back to the Palace to follow it up with Danny. You good here?”

“Yeah, I’ll handle the situation here,” Chin assured him.

“Nahele, you’re with me.” Steve waved him over.

“I want to stay here, Dad.”

“Yes, and that’s exactly where I don’t want you to be - in a standoff between two police forces. Get in the car now!”

“Dad!”

“Now, Nahele,” his tone was not open for suggestions and Nahele trudged over to the truck. Sullenly he slammed the door. Steve put the car into gear and drove off. “I get that you’re mad at me, but I’m not leaving you in such a volatile situation. You can sulk all you want. And let’s not forget what your Mom would do to either of us if she ever finds out you were there.”

The mentioning of Romy made Nahele pale and he nodded quickly. He was going to be in such deep shit if she ever found out. “Ok.”

——xx——xx——

As it turned out Bumpy had been right Kanuha did not kill his ex-business partner and the US Marshalls finally ceased their standoff with the Nation of Hawai’i.

“It’s beautiful here, so peaceful.” Romy leaned against the fence of the lanai, watching her friends eat with the others. Steve smiled at her, his chest moulding against her side, sliding her close to him.

“It is.” he agreed quietly, laughs of the others drowning out his hum of appreciation when he caught a glance down Romy’s top.

“Do I want to know why Nahele was at the Palace and Bumpy seemed to know him already?” she asked.

“No, gorgeous. You really don’t.”

Romy let out a breath “Ok. You guys are going to end up giving me wrinkles.” she teased.

“Would just make you more beautiful.”

Romy looked up at him with a fond smile. “Sweet talker.” They marvelled at the view for a while when Romy asked “You want to tell me why you went to the DMV however?”

“Needed my new driving license.”

Romy snorted “Steve, that hasn’t bothered you for the last 7 years and not stopped you from teaching Nahele how to drive.”

He bit his lip, of course, that excuse would not fly with her. Romy knew him way too well. He buried his face in her hair and mumbled it.

“What?” Romy shook her head, she had not understood a thing.

Steve tucked her hair behind her ear and whispered it softly. Romy let out a gasp and whirled around, a large smile stretched over her face mirroring Steve.

“What do you think?” he whispered.

“Hell yes!” She hopped onto her toes and kissed him passionately.

“Oi McGarrett!” Danny hollered over, breaking up their moment. “Stop mauling at Romy and sit down and have some food.”

Romy giggled “Come on, better do what he says.” With that they joined the others again. Steve squeezed in next to Nahele, bumping his shoulder against his with a grin.

Nahele looked over to his Dad and said solemnly “Thank you, Dad. For keeping your promise.”

“I’ll always keep my promises to you.”

“I know.”

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

“You know this is kind of a full circle,” Romy said from the passenger seat, sipping her coffee all the while handing a Malasada to Danny who was sitting in the backseat.

“What? Why?” Steve pulled onto the parking lot next to Kamekona’s.

“Us being involved in another fight between Kamekona and Flippa, she pointed to a group of people in front of them. Kamekona’s complete team was waving signs and chanting about their treatment.

“Kamekona, you're no good! Treat your workers like you should! Kamekona, you're no good! Treat your workers like you should!” “…three, four, we don't want this shirt no more! One, two, three four, we don't want this shirt no more!”

“Ugh. Finally.” Kamekona greeted them, talking loudly to drown out the chants.

“Please tell me this is not the, uh, the emergency you called us about.” Steve pressed his hands into a prayer gesture.

“Dang right. You got to arrest this guy. And get him off my beach!” Kamkeona waved behind him.

“Your cousin?” Romy asked.

“Yes.”

“The one you told me that you loved more than your first shave ice stand?” Steve wanted to know.

“Not anymore. He's dead to me. He got my workers to unionize; now they're all on strike.”

“Excuse me. Uh... we've talked about this before, yeah? About emergencies. And that they have to be actual emergencies, remember? Now, a labor dispute, it's just like a flat tire; it's not an emergency.” Steve could not believe it, the only redeeming thing was that Nahele was not involved this time.

“Brah, I haven't sold a single shrimp all morning. You got to throw them all in Halawa or they gonna kill my business.”

Romy snorted, yeah throw them into Halawa for a protest.

“Can't do that.” Danny shrugged.

Steve looped his arm around Romy’s shoulder, happy to let Danny handle this one.

“Why not?” Kamekona was all put out.

“’Cause this is public property. Also, uh, it is perfectly legal for someone to engage in a peaceful protest against what they feel are unfair working conditions.” Danny tried to explain once more.

“Unfair? I haven't missed a single paycheck.”

“It ain't about that. We get paid pennies for what we do. We don't get no health, no dental, no time and a half for overtime. And every Christmas, he forces me to dress like an elf.” Flippa butted in now and a whole other argument broke out about elf costumes and bringing joy to children, which amused Romy immensely.

“So clearly you both have very strong opinions about all this,” Steve tried to put an end to the whole thing “but as I said, labor disputes are out of Five-O's jurisdiction. So you guys are gonna have to figure this out by yourself, all right?”

“If you can't arrest him, at least buy a delicious breakfast shrimp loco moco.” Kamekona smiled at them encouragingly.

“Well, I-I definitely can't do that. That would be crossing a picket line. I'm from a union family. And I'm a friend of the working man. Crossing the line is just something that we do not do.” Danny shrugged from his perch on a table.

“Socialist.” Kamekona scoffed.

“How about you, McGarrett?”

As usual, his phone saved Steve from answering “Excuse me, just for a second, please. Yeah, Chin”

“And you German Rose?”

Romy sighed out loud, crossing her arms “Kame you know I love you, but we’ve been arguing for over a year about staff benefits”

“Oh no, not you too!” Kamekona lamented.

“Sorry, Kamekona.” Steve stepped back to them “Hey, listen, we just caught our second homicide for the day. Guess the Coast Guard just fished a body out of the water.”

Romy pulled a face, water bodies always turned her stomach.

“Do me a favor, would you stay here and make sure these two don't kill each other please?” he asked Danny, who shrugged. There were worse days than sitting on a beach watching Kamekona and Flippa argue.

“You still dropping me off at work?” Romy asked.

“Sure.” His hand slipped to her lower back guiding Romy back to the car.

——xx——xx—— 

“So when is Dad going to be back?” Nahele munched on his after school snack. 

“Hopefully tomorrow.” Romy sneaked herself a piece of mango. 

“And this woman really had a tattoo from a concentration camp?” he scrolled through his phone. 

“Yes, it was the number they tattooed into her granddad.” Romy’s voice was heavy. 

Nahele played with his food for a moment and then asked nervously “Mama, can I ask you something.” 

“Sure.” 

“Were any of…were there any Nazis in…”

“Were there any Nazis in my family?” Romy helped him out and Nahele nodded relieved. “I don’t know.” she shrugged. 

“What do you mean? How can you not know?” he pushed himself off the kitchen island. 

“My grandparents were children. They were just born when Hitler took over power in Germany, when the war ended they were your age. It was all they knew, all they were taught.”

“What?” 

“Think about it, when you’re a kid, you tend to get your worldview from where? School and Family and well you can imagine what they taught in school. And my great - grandparents died before I was born. I couldn’t ask them and my parents never really did I think, it wasn’t something you would talk about when they were young” Romy let out a heavy sigh. “I want to believe that they weren’t Nazis, that they were scared of the SS and the secret police, but that they still tried to help somehow.” 

“You know Grandma Marianne told me about her fleeing from the Red Army and that she was in Dresden when the bombs fell and Grandma Ellie how her Dad fled the army in 1945 walking back from Italy.” Nahele pondered. 

“You know the time between 1933 and 1945 is called the great shame in Germany. The atrocities committed in those years by Germans and in the name of Germans is a shame that the country is still rightfully atoning for. I still can’t comprehend how people would just follow someone like him, believe him so blindly, that they would outcast people, friends, family that they lived with their whole lives.” Romy shook her head. “You know what the scariest thing is for me though, I don’t know if I would have followed blindly?” 

“You, Mom? You’ve got an opinion on everything.” Nahele tried to contradict her. 

“Yeah, but is it because I grew up in the freedom to voice it or would I have done it then as well?” 

He nodded at that and then voiced a thought that has been on his mind since his Dad had left for Kalaupapa “You know, you and Dad would have been enemies during that time. Our family wouldn’t have existed.” 

“I know,” Romy said softly. 

“I want to know more” Nahele breathed out. 

“More about what?” 

“That time. Do you, do you think your grandparents would talk to me about it more?” Nahele bit his lip. 

“Grandma Marianne and Grandpa definitely will, not too sure about Ellie, but we can always ask.” 

“Thanks, Mama.” 

——xx——xx—— 

“What are you watching?” Steve let his go-bag fall to the floor and shut the front door, it felt good to be at home. 

“Mom gave me some documentaries to watch.” Nahele held out his fist for a bump, which Steve gave gladly. 

“Documentaries about what?” Steve sunk into the armchair. 

“Nazi Germany” Nahele answered, making Steve groan quietly, he had enough of that topic for eternity. His head fell back, as the narrator continued in German. He was exhausted, he did chase a Nazi war criminal halfway across the US for the last 48 hours. His mind went back to when he arrested Thomas Sauer. 

Tomas Sauer... for forced imprisonment, torture and murder, you're under arrest for war crimes under the laws of the Geneva Convention.’

This old man, a coward who tortured and murdered people as a teenager and then fled instead of answering for his crimes. It made him itchy all over. 

“You’re back!” The happy exclamation made him sit up again. Romy stood in the lanai door, a bright smile on her face, she had a towel wrapped around her and her hair was dripping down her back. She must have gone for a swim. The afternoon sun illuminated her from behind making her glow even more. “You got him?” she asked as walked towards him. 

Steve nodded and pulled her down to him for a kiss, relishing in her lips, trying to forget the last couple of days. 

“Why are we watching Nazi documentaries?” he mumbled against her skin. 

“Nahele wanted to.” she shrugged and quickly dashed upstairs to get out of her wet bathing suit. 

“Any specific reason why kiddo?” Steve leaned forward, his elbows resting on his knees. 

“Well” the teenager shrugged, he saw Romy coming back downstairs again “Mom is German and I’m her son…I just want to know more about our history.” 

Romy sucked in a breath and squeezed her fingers into Steve’s shoulders. Steve turned around and saw how tears were shining in her eyes. He cocked an eyebrow, asking a silent question, that has been part of their lives for the last couple of weeks and Romy nodded. 

“‘Hele.” Steve caught his attention back from the TV. “We were wondering…” he searched for Romy’s hand on his shoulder, intertwining their fingers. 

“What?” Nahele looked worried, where was this going? 

Steve cleared his throat - why was this so hard? “We were wondering if you would be happy to make this - our family permanent.” 

Nahele’s eyes moved quickly from Steve to Romy, her smile big, hopeful almost, his attention drawn back to Steve. 

“We want to adopt you, Nahele.” Steve smiled now as well. 

Nahele’s eyes blew wide, his mouth moving unable to form any words. 

“What do ya say, kiddo. Make our family official?” Romy winked at him. 

 

 ——xx——xx——

Notes:

If you’re interested in the topic, I can recommend the series Charité at war on Netflix.
It’s a German tv series that covers the war years through the eyes of doctors at Germany’s first hospital.
If you want to chat about it with me - my DM’s are always open.

Chapter 38: You are my hero

Summary:

Summary: a party, a small getaway and a hero - this Valentine’s Day has it all

Warnings: None

Episode: Season 7 -  Episode 16

Notes:

Hello lovelies, 

Another slice of Steve & Romy for you this wonderful Saturday. Thank you for all your comments, and likes and kudos! They make my absolute day! Please keep them coming and know my DM’s are always open, if you want to chat anything about The Romy Files.

Enjoy xx 

Chapter Text

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

“A party? You guys want to throw a Valentine's Party?” Steve looked at the assembled teenagers in front of him. Grace, Will, Nahele and even Samantha had ambushed them at home, pleading with them to let them throw a party.

“What are your parents saying to this?” Romy raised her eyebrows, she really wanted to be there when Grace asks Danny.

“Well, you know…” Nahele scratched the back of his neck.

“You thought you ask one set of parents first and then tell the others we already said yes.” she looked at them over the top of her glasses. “And you think we’re what? The pushovers?”

“What?” The kids and Steve screeched, he was not a pushover.

“It’s just you know...from all the parents...” Samantha started, with encouraging nods from the others. “You guys you are the cool ones.”

Romy scoffed and then needed to bite her lip at the way that Steve’s chest puffed up at being called cool.

“Alright guys, take it down a notch” she tried to rail them in. “Give it to us straight.” Romy put down her laptop bag and toed out of her shoes. She and Steve headed into the kitchen and the gaggle of teenagers followed her and Steve.

“Well and we wondered if we can have the party here.”

Ah there it was, Romy shot Steve a knowing look, who handed her a beer and then hopped up onto the counter next to her.

“Please, Aunt Romy, please!” Grace grabbed Romy’s hands “Danno will never say yes if you don’t agree.”

Romy looked over at Steve and shrugged, they were teenagers, they should have a party if they wanted to.

“From our side, it's fine. But there will be some ground rules...” the rest of Steve’s sentence was drowned out by screaming teenagers, and the next thing they were enveloped by way too many arms.

“Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!”

——xx——xx—— 

“And you’re really ok with that?” Renee slung her arm around her bend leg and turned her towards Romy, who nodded in response to her question.

“And that this happens here, in your house?”

“Yes,” Romy answered. “We raised good kids. Why shouldn’t we trust them to have a party in our house.”

“Hey, I’m with you.” Renee patted Romy’s hand. “Lou took a bit of convincing, though.”

“I feel you, I needed to bring out the whole spiel with Danny too.”

“What did you say to him to get him to agree?”

“Ah” Romy grinned “I think it was one of my better speeches. I just told him, that I trust the kids to throw a decent party and to be responsible while doing so. And if they aren’t well then there’ll be consequences, but how can I say, I want independent kids when I never allow them to be one.”

“That worked with Danny Williams?” Renee couldn’t believe it.

“Mhm,” Romy shrugged “And then I told him I am currently menstruating and he better not piss me off.”

“Mention the word menstruation to any guy and they’ll agree to anything.” Renee giggled and Romy joined in wholeheartedly.

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

“I must say I do love your job sometimes.” Steve grabbed Romy’s waist after dumping their duffle bag next to the door “A free upgrade on Valentines Day.” 

“It does have its perks.” Romy looked over her shoulder at him and squealed when he lifted her up and walked two steps to the balcony. 

“And the view is amazing.” he sat her down right in front of the window. “Staying in town was a good call.”

“We’re not at home, but should something happen during the party we can be there quickly and I’m just glad you’re not on call this weekend.” Romy leaned up to kiss him. 

“Hell yeah, spending some quality time with you, enjoying the perks of room service and no calls, I call this the best weekend in a while.” Steve’s lips moved over hers more insistently. He groaned in disappointment when she ducked underneath his arm a second later. 

“More of that later.” she grinned “Why don’t you grab yourself a beer, enjoy the view and I’m gonna unpack real quick.” 

“If you insist,” he smirked. 

Romy grabbed their bag and disappeared into the bedroom. She heard the telltale sound of opening a beer bottle and then Steve stepping outside. She checked her watch, by her calculations she had 2 more minutes before it all unravelled around her, but what choice did she have? 

“Romy!” Ah, there it was. 

She pushed her hair behind her ears and squared her shoulders, this was not going to be pretty. She joined Steve back out on the balcony and saw Danny and Melissa standing on the one next to them. Sliding her arm around his waist, she whispered in his ear “I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry.” 

“You better explain that one,” Steve whispered back. 

“I will, I promise.” and then louder “Surprise!” 

“Yeah, well I am surprised. Woohoo!” Steve said sarcastically. 

“And you know you’ve always been saying how we should spend more time together.” Melissa put her arms around Danny’s neck. 

The tension on the balcony could be cut with a knife.

“Well! You guys finish your beers.” Romy patted Steve’s peck. “I’m gonna get ready for the beach.” 

“Oh yes me too!” Melissa exclaimed and disappeared from her balcony. 

Romy could hear the balcony door being slid close by Steve and turned around. Her hands clasped in front of her she mouthed ‘I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry.’ Earning herself an eye roll from her husband, before being shooed away. 

He came back inside after 5 minutes, and let out a big sigh before falling face-first onto the bed. Romy stepped out of the bathroom all changed, and he lifted his head, she was already in her new bikini, a high waisted 1940’s inspired number. He hummed appreciatively and pulled her onto the bed “Spill!” Steve raised his eyebrow sternly. 

Romy tugged her leg underneath and buried her forehead in her palm. She let out a deep groan “After Melissa found out that we gave our house to the kids, she wanted to know what we’re doing, so I told her and then it kinda snowballed from there...” 

“Why didn’t you tell me?” 

“You would have told Danny!” Romy slapped his arm good naturally. “And then he would have said no and then Melissa...” she rambled. 

“Hey!” Steve caught her chin between his fingers, stopping her rambling. “It’s ok.” His lips finding hers in an unhurried kiss. “I will survive a weekend with Danny.” 

“Thank you!” Romy was relieved, she had not been too keen on the idea herself, but Melissa had been trying to be part of the group and Danny had not been very helpful, the antisocial weirdo, that he was. So, here they were. 

“Oh and Danny is worried about being to be romantic in front of us, so we got a safe word.” Steve got off the bed changing into his swim shorts and a top. 

“A safe word?” Romy got up as well and slid into her beach cover-up “We really need to have a chat about the nature of your guys' relationship.” 

“Don’t!” Steve tried to stop her teasing, getting a giggle for his efforts. “He just doesn’t feel like he can show his true romantic self with onlookers.” 

“True romantic self” Romy snorted “And that from the guy who can’t properly commit to the woman he wants to be romantic with.” 

“Not our sandbox, gorgeous.” Steve pinched the skin of her leg softly. 

“Yeah, Yeah, Yeah.” Romy shook her head and followed Steve out of the bedroom. “So, what is it?” 

“What is what?” Steve turned around to her. 

“The safe word.” She grabbed her beach bag, checking she got everything. Book, sun cream, hat, glasses. 

“Chicken Salad.” 

Romy looked up from her bag, her eyes wide “Chicken Salad?” 

“Chicken Salad.” He nodded. 

“As a safe word? Really? How is he planning to weave that into a bloody conversation?” Steve pressed his lips to hers. Romy made a little sound in the back of her throat in protest, before she let the kiss take over, melting into Steve’s arms. The conversation about Danny and safewords completely forgotten. She hoped this would never stop, the way he made her smile, the way he made her feel, how his kisses made her feel. Cherished. Loved. His.

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

Romy hated volleyball, well that’s not right she hated playing any sports where she needed to hit a ball. Her eye - ball - hand coordination was abysmal and that’s being nice. She knew that and Steve knew that, but when Danny suggested Beach Volleyball and Melissa happily agreed, her chances of swimming and then laying at the beach with her book were shot.

Steve passed the ball to Danny underneath the net “Want to switch the teams up a little bit?” He had almost forgotten how bad Romy was at ball sports.

“No, I don't want to switch the teams.” Danny whispered back before he shouted louder “He wants to switch the teams.”

“Are you serious?” Steve hissed. “It's just an idea. I'm trying to be a good sport and mix it up.” He turned around to Romy with a sheepish smile.

“A Good sport, right?” She smirked at him, slightly enjoying his pain. Well, he should have known better than making her play volleyball.

Danny grinned widely “It's eight to three, and this is the highlight of my weekend, beating you-- I mean, aside from spending time with you, obviously.” He threw a wink at Melissa.

Their match ended abruptly when a frisbee hit Melissa and Danny felt the need to teach the kid a lesson. Romy shook her head at Steve, who enjoyed the scene in front of him way too much; not that the kid didn’t deserve the lesson, but he was a teenager in front of his friends. What did Danny think this would achieve.

After being fully trounced by Melissa and Danny in Volleyball, the women moved onto the spa. Finally an activity she could fully enjoy. Romy frowned at Steve when he begged off to go for a swim with Danny. Despite his very manly front, her husband loved a good Spa day. Manicures, pedicures, facials, massages you name it and he was there. The first time she had put on a face mask at his house, he had looked at her sceptically but once she smoothed the goop over his face, Steve was hooked. Hooked so much that it became a regular occurrence in the McGarrett household.

He chatted excitedly with the beautician about the ingredients and if they’d be helpful against his crow feet when Melissa interrupted his musings.

“Steve you’re ruining my Zen!” She scolded him across Danny and Romy.

Romy needed to bite her lip not to burst out laughing at his outraged look. She leaned over to him and interlaced their fingers. She winked at him conspiratorially when she caught his eyes, making his frown lessen into a pout. While Steve was completely immersed in his Spa experience, Danny was violently munching on the piece of cucumber intended for his eye.

“What pissed into his cheerios?” Romy squeezed Steve’s hand.

“Mmh” Steve inhaled deeply at the relaxing face massage he was receiving. “Ah he thinks that kid, that threw that frisbee, stole his sunglasses and won’t give them back?”

Romy rolled her eyes “You know Danny, I’m more than happy to buy you a new pair if that will - “

“Don’t” Steve interrupted her “Tried that one already.”

With a huff, Danny got up “Okay, you know what. I'm done. I can't deal with it. Can you just... Uh, uh, babe, I'll see you in a little bit. I'll catch up with you guys later.” And with that, he stormed out of the Spa.

“Where is he going?” Melissa stared after her boyfriend.

“I don’t care.” Steve turned to the beautician behind him “Can I use his leftover face mask?”

 ——xx——xx—— 

“You sure you want to come to Yoga with us?” Pulled at their interlaced hands trying to slow Steve down a bit.

“Yes! I want to spend some time with you.”

“It’s just” Romy let out a breath “your flexibility skills are about as good as my ball sport skills.”

Steve looked at her in mock outrage and drew into her side “I remember you were very impressed with my flexibility last night.” He murmured with a smirk, letting his hand wander down to her bum, giving it a little squeeze.

“Steve!” Romy slapped his chest, grinning all the while.

“Guys, please!” Melissa averted her eyes, at the obvious display of affection.

“Look she makes the same face as Nahele.” Steve pointed out.

“So it must be us then?” Romy pursed her lips.

——xx——xx—— 

“How are you doing there?” Romy looked over at Steve from their position in downward facing dog. He was holding his breath trying to keep the posture.

“Good. Fine.” He grunted.

“Really?” Romy moved into a lunge, with the rest of the class.

“Yeah.”

“Sure about that?”

“Yeah.”

She chuckled and switched into Warrior One. “Seems like you're struggling a bit.”

“I'm not struggling.” Steve breathed hard trying to follow her and the rest of the class. “It's awesome.”

“Maybe we should switch up the teams.” Romy threw his earlier comment back at him sliding from Warrior Two to Peaceful Warrior.

Steve grunted again, of course, she would have not forgotten that “There's not... there's no teams in yoga, Romy.” They moved back through the vinyasa, and his descent from plank to cobra was a bit more graceful than Romy’s due to his upper body strength, making him grin. “Ah. Okay. Yeah, I understand what just happened. I just see what you did there. You were referring to the, uh, comment I made on the volleyball court.” They moved back up into downward-facing dog, and Steve held his breath again. “I didn't mean to, I didn't mean to upset anybody.”

“At least your boyfriend's here.” Melissa chuckled from the other side as they stretched for Three-legged dog.

“I don't think I can hold this.” Steve muttered, and the next thing Romy knew he collapsed onto her yoga mat “Okay, you know something, I'm gonna go. I'm gonna go check on Danny.” He pressed a kiss to Romy’s head.

“Seems like a good idea. Your concern for him must be affecting your concentration and balance.” She teased him, and then she and Melissa burst out laughing watching him limp away.

After yoga they settled at the pool bar, waiting for the guys. Two large tropical cocktails stood in front of them and Romy contemplated how the massive amount of fruit didn’t make her glass topple over.

“I just want to thank you again.” Melissa pressed her hands together. “For letting us barge into your Valentine’s plans.” She continued as she saw Romy’s confused gaze.

“It’s no problem.” Romy smiled and meant it. The day has turned out better than she thought. Once Melissa stopped being so nervous all the time, she was incredibly funny. “I told you, we’re not Valentine’s people.”

“Still! It means a lot.”

They whiled away their time sipping at their cocktails and chatting, Romy looked up when a shadow appeared above her.

“Hey, Camilla!” She exclaimed happily, Camilla was her friend that made this short notice reservation possible in the first place. “Is everything alright?” She asked as she saw her friends expression.

“I’m sorry Romy. But could you come with me, there’s an issue.”

“Sure, yeah.” Worried at Camilla’s serious tone, she got up straight away. “I’ll see you in a minute, Melissa.”

“What happened?” She asked as she was lead away by her friend.

——xx——xx—— 

Romy could not believe it! How fucking dare he! Accosting the kid at the beach and then again at the pool and then to top it all off Danny broke into their hotel room. She was absolutely livid.

She was shown in a small office next to the reception, where Danny and Steve were waiting.

“I’ll talk to you later.” Camilla took her leave, closing the door behind her.

“Start explaining now!” Romy crossed her arms over her chest. Listening to Danny and Steve, she got even more annoyed.

“What the fuck were you thinking? These are my colleagues! This my reputation you put on the fucking line here and to top it off you thought that accosting a teenager twice and then breaking into a hotel room was the answer to get your fucking glasses back?” She was pacing now. “Why didn't you speak to his parents?”

“Don’t you think you’re overreacting a little bit?” Danny tried to calm her down.

“Overreacting? I’m overreacting? This was supposed to be a lovely weekend until you started to have a feud with a fucking teenager. And please do not tell me you would have been ok if another adult treated Grace like this?” Danny tried to interrupt, but Romy was on a roll now, her voice rising with each sentence. “Also let’s not forget you coercing an employee to give you access to their hotel room, which I think is breaking and entering.”

“We do have immunity and means, Romy,” Danny interjected.

“Good for you” Romy scoffed. “The housekeeper you talked into giving you access to the room doesn’t and she now faces a gross misconduct dismissal from her job here. So well done to the both of you!” With that she stormed out of the room, leaving the two men behind.

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

Steve knocked on the door to their hotel bedroom, before venturing in. He could hear the shower running and stepped into the bathroom.

“I’m sorry!”

“And I’m mad.” Romy stuck her head out from behind the glass wall.

“I get that. And I told Danny that it was a bad idea, but he was...in an alternative reality I think. He wouldn’t have listened to anybody.” he tried to explain. “What about the housekeeper? Is there anything I can do?”

Romy turned off the water, she grabbed for the towel and stepped out of the shower “No, I talked to Camilla. Tried to explain the whole ‘Danny Williams craziness’ and she let it go. He’s lucky he didn’t get kicked out.” She said while applying her face toner and cream.

“Thank you!” Steve kissed her shoulder blade. “I’m really sorry.”

“Ok. Danny better is doing some grovelling though. He put me in right hot water. I promised Camilla we invite her for dinner in return and I ordered a bouquet to the housekeeper and charged it to Danny’s room.” Romy looked at him through the mirror, paying close attention to how his shirt stretched over his muscles, she licked her lips. Forgetting about Danny for a moment.

“That and the dinner he pays for that family, he’s going to be fuming.” Steve pulled her out of her little daydream.

“To be quite honest, I don’t give a damn. I’m still mad at him.” Romy grouches.

“Well, rest assured grovelling is already in the plans for tonight.” Steve let his hands slide over Romy’s arms. He stepped into the shower himself now “A full evening at the beach, with a romantic dinner for the four of us.”

“Nice. He better enjoy it too.” Romy reached for the hairdryer.

“Why?”

“It will be his last meal here for a while.” Her words almost drowned out by the hairdryer “As of tomorrow he’s banned from the property.

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

The beach setting for dinner was absolutely stunning, the tiki torches, the table, the atmosphere, the Ukulele player. Romy stopped short, why was there a Ukulele Player? She grabbed Steve’s arm as he pulled out her chair and asked that exact question. “You do know how I feel about dinner music? It’s awkward after the first 5 minutes.”

“Apparently Melissa likes it and Danny has stuff to make up for.” He whispered, pressing a kiss to the skin right underneath her ear. Romy let out a sigh and turned around to him.

“For Melissa, I’ll smile through the awkwardness.” She leaned up and moved her lips gently over his, and then more insistent, letting her fingers curled into the lapels of his shirt. She couldn’t say how often she had kissed Steve, lost count, to be honest, but to her, it was still one of the best feelings in the world.

——xx——xx——

Danny refilled their champagne glasses the second time, trying to make the atmosphere less tense.

“Um, I-I want to apologize... for, uh, being a little distant this afternoon. Uh... And I want to tell you that you, um... I want to let you know, um...” he bumbled his way through his apology “You know, I can feel you.” He turned to Steve, who stared at him during his apology “It's like you're on my face. I can-- it's-it's like you're judge-y. You're judging me and I can... What? No. It's, like, right here, okay? It's... “

“No, I got you, I got you, I got you.” Steve tried not to facepalm how badly Danny was messing this up, going simply by Romy’s very not impressed raised eyebrows.

“You got what?”

“I got you. Listen. What Danny is trying to say, is that what he did this afternoon was wrong. And he’s incredibly sorry for jeorpdazing your business relationships” he nodded over to Romy “and that he’d didn’t show how much he appreciates you, Melissa. Well, in general, we wanted to show you guys how much we appreciate you both, so here... here's to you two. And thank you.” They all clinked glasses

“Thank you.” Melissa smiled brightly.

They started to look at the Menu when Danny just blurted out “Chicken salad.”

Romy and Steve’s head shot up, sharing a look. Romy pursed her lips smirking and Steve winked at her. Danny deserved a payback, so he asked innocently “You want the chicken salad?”

“Chicken salad.” Danny repeated again, looking now desperately at Romy “Chicken salad. Chicken salad.”

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

“I’ll drop Melissa off and then I come over to yours to pick up Grace,” Danny said, after his eyes had bugged out at his hotel bill, Romy might have charged another bottle of champagne to his room. Let’s just say, champagne tasted better from Steve’s skin than out of a glass.

“Great” Steve shouldered their bag and let his hand settle on the small of Romy’s back. “Lou and Renee are on their way to pick up Samantha and Will, as well.”

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

“What the heck” Romy whispered quietly as she stepped through her front door, Steve directly behind her. She could hear faintly two other cars pulling into the driveway.

The entire first floor of the house looked like a tornado had gone through it. By instinct, Romy took a step back, right into Steve’s chest. His hands steadying her shoulders. With measured steps, Romy and Steve ventured inside, followed closely by Danny, Lou and Renee.

The kids were currently trying to clean up. Grace and Will pushing furniture back to where it belonged, while Nahele and Samantha were pushing piles of party rubbish into black bin bags.

“Fuck!” Samantha let out when she spotted the parents standing in the door, making the others look up immediately. They were all so screwed!

Fifteen minutes later Danny was still berating them, with Lou putting in his two cents whenever Danny needed to take a breath.

Danny turned to Romy and Renee, who was still marvelling at the destruction to the house “You ladies want to add something? Feel free!”

“I don’t know what to say.” Romy started.

“Well, that's just peachy, because I’ve got enough to say for all of us!” Danny continued to shout.

“I...I never thought you guys would do something like this.” Her quiet voice somehow managed to drown out Danny’s ranting. Romy let her eyes wander from one teenager to another. “We trusted you. We trusted you that you could have a party here. Here in our home.” She surveyed the carnage, the trail of litter leading everywhere even upstairs. “I...I thought you respected us enough to not let it escalate like this.” She scratched her forehead. “I mean, we go away, allow you to have a party in our home. I stuck my head out for you guys, I convinced everyone that you were responsible enough to host a party. I guess I was wrong.” Romy rubbed her fingers over her lips, a sure sign she tried not to be too emotional.

“I never thought you could do something like this.” The teenager stared down at the floor. Why was this so much worse than Danny’s shouting?

“I’m so disappointed in all of you.” her mouth curled in disdain “I can’t even look at you right now.” With that, she turned around and got upstairs, carefully sidestepping all the party leftovers on the stairs.

“Well, I think that summed it up pretty well.” She could hear Steve clasping his hands. “What are you still standing around, staring at us. You better clean this shit up.”

“You’ve got to be kidding me.” Romy breathed out. Someone definitely had been in their bedroom, the mused sheets spoke loud and clear. Quickly she stripped the bedding, shuddering at the used condom she found on her side of the bed. At least they knew how to wrap it, even if they had no common decency at all.

“What are you doing?” Steve stood in the doorway.

“Someone definitely had way too much fun up here.” She held up the condom, making Steve gag.

“He’s so fucking grounded until the end of times,” Steve growled, this was one step too far.

“Come on, we’re going down to the pub for some lunch and drinks.” He held out his arm to her. Romy snuggled in his side, and let her be guided downstairs again.

“My poor bedroom.” She pouted at Steve.

“We gonna burn these sheets and they gonna deep clean upstairs those little shits.” He kissed her forehead, then looking over to the teenagers. “Once we’re back this house better be sparkling. And don’t forget our bedroom, some of your friends thought it’d be a good place to get their rocks off.”

“Eww!”

“Your party, your responsibility,” Renee said unamused at their antics, leading them out of the house.

——xx——xx—— 

“I’m so sorry!” Nahele almost fell over his own two feet, when Steve and Romy came back.

“Come on kiddo, sit down.” Romy sat down heavily on the sofa, she was exhausted.

Steve shifted in his seat next to her, letting her lean into him. “What happened?” He prompted Nahele.

That’s all it needed for Nahele to pour out what happened the night before. Friends of friends who weren’t invited came as well and they didn’t feel like they could turn them away, so a party set out for 20 people suddenly had 50 or more, and somehow they had lost control over the crowd and then they just gave up and join in.

“You do know that this will have consequences right?” Romy asked.

“Yeah” Nahele sniffled “if you...if you no longer want to ado -“

“Shut your mouth right there!” Nahele’s head shot up at Romy’s harsh words.

She leaned over to him, her face right in front of his “I want you to listen to me and listen to me well because I’ll only say this once.” She waited for his nod to continue “Us adopting you will never, NEVER, be a way to punish you, ok. You’re our kid. You’ll mess up. You’re a teenager, that’s your prerogative. There’ll be consequences when you mess up, but never this. ‘Hele, never this” she implored him, hoping it would sink in, “You’re stuck with us, kiddo. No matter what you did in the past or will do in the future.” Steve picked up from her when he heard that sob that got stuck in Romy’s throat. “Now” he let out a breath “You’re grounded for” he looked over to Romy who lifted up 2 fingers “for two weeks. School, Track practice and then straight home. No shifts at the shrimp truck, no meetups with the others.”

“Ok..” Nahele mumbled his gaze still firmly affixed on his shoes. “I’ll guess, I go upstairs into my room.”

Romy pressed her lips together as she watched her son trot up the stairs dejectedly “Nahele!”

He turned around to her. “We still love you.” A smile started to grow on his face, which Romy mirrored.

“Love you too.” And with that, he disappeared up into his room.

“Come on!” Steve got up from the sofa and held out his hand to her. Romy eyed it sceptically, unsure where he was going with this. All she wanted was to curl up with him on the sofa and forget this weekend ever happened.

“We’re losing daylight.” Steve wiggled his hand at her impatiently.

“Why?” She pouted at him, hoping he’d feel sorry enough for her to be persuaded to stay on the sofa.

“There’s no way that I’m sleeping in a bed that somebody else but us had sex in. We’re going to buy a new mattress, gorgeous” Steve declared with a grin, watching as Romy’s pout morphed into a brilliant smile.

“You” she let herself being pulled up by him “are my hero, Steve McGarrett.”

Chapter 39: I touch the Sky

Summary:

Monsters will always come back to hunt you

Notes:

Warnings: Angst, so much Angst
Episode: Season 7 -  Episode 17
Songs: Touch the Sky by Hillsong United (listen to it, while you read it!)

Hello lovelies, 

I’m so sorry for the long hiatus. I had a lot of things happening in my personal life, including a health scare for me and a death close to my family.

Please head the warning, there is a lot of Angst in this chapter, it was almost cathartic to write.

Your comments, kudos and message mean the absolute world to me!

Enjoy xx 

Chapter Text

 

“Hey Nahele!” Steve shouted over the noise at the opening of the new shrimp trunk.

“Hi kiddo.” Romy leaned up to kiss her son on the cheek, before Steve pulled him into a hug.

“Check this out, what a turn out!” Steve looked around the busy area. Romy heaved a sigh of relief at his easy smile. Ever since he had that call from his old Navy buddy Jack, about Madison Gray being back in Hawaii, he had been tense. They argued all the way to the North Shore. Steve had wanted them tucked away somewhere safe and Romy was not going to waste another second of her life in fear of Madison Gray. They only called it a truce, when they pulled into the parking lot, but they both knew this was far from over.

“Special celebrity guest may have helped.” Jerry butted in before Kamekona could take all the credit for the huge turnout.  “Who knew there were so many Springsteen fans on the island?”

Danny turned around excitedly, and stopped short when he saw a photo booth with one of his heroes “You've got Max Weinberg, the drummer from the E Street Band?”

Romy suppressed a chuckle, Danny was bouncing like a little kid, as he demanded to know how Kamekona managed to get this VIP to the opening.

“How are you feeling, having your freedom back?” she asked Nahele.

“Moooom” he sighed and stretched the word as if he was in pain. Romy grinned at him, while watching Danny making a fool of himself in front of Max Weinberg.

“Okay, okay. Gather round.” Flippa had grabbed the microphone. “Ladies and gentlemen, thanks for turning out for our grand opening.” The crowd let out a big cheer. “We got a great time planned for you all, with lots of good grindz, face painting for the keikis. And in a little while, I'll be performing some live music with our special guest of honor, my good friend, Max Weinberg of the E Street Band!”

Romy could hear a faint “I never agreed to that.” from Weinberg. This man was in for a treat, getting into business with Kamekona.

“All right, folks, move aside. Without further ado, I present to you... our newest venture... Flippa's Shrimp Wagon!” with a flourish Flippa unveiled his new truck. Looking all shiny and great, with a new logo of his own face.

“No!” Kamekona shouted. “No, no!”

“It's just a hunch, but I'm guessing he doesn’t like the new logo.” Jerry whispered to Romy, making her chortle with laughter.

“I would say that’s a given.” She looked over to Nahele. “Get your Dad, would you. I think we might have a crime scene here soon.”

Kamekona and Flippa started to argue about diluting brands, and the meaning of managing a truck and owning a truck. Romy looked around her, most of the guests had their cellphones in hand, starting to film the whole scene.

“Kamekona!” Romy wedged herself in-between the cousins. “Come on be the bigger man. Its the opening today, a happy occasion. Maybe you can argue about this, when there are not so many people around.”

Her efforts were interrupted by a panicked shout “Romy!” a beat later “Nahele!” Steve pushed through the throng of people, Danny hot on his heels.

He grasped Romy’s arms, while looking frantically over his shoulder only relaxing slightly when he saw Danny’s raised arm, indicating he had Nahele.

“Steve? What is it?” Romy looked up at him. She had not seen him this worried in a long while.

“You need to come with me right now!” Steve started to move them over to Danny.

“What?” she didnt understand anything. “Babe, please tell me what’s going on.”

“Dad!” Nahele had now joined their little huddle.  “I gotta work!”

“I don’t care, both of you in my car now.” Steve unlock his car, making it flash in the parking lot.

“Steve, hey” Romy grasped his hand “What’s going on.” When he still wouldn’t meet her eyes she moved her hands to his face “Talk to me! What’s going on?”

“Madison Gray” the words stuck in his throat “she just turned up at HPD.”

“What?”

“I don’t know what she’s up to, but until then you need...I need-”

“Steve, take a breath. What do you need?”

He took a deep breath, trying to focus on Romy’s face, but his mind kept snapping back to that horrible day, seeing her in that container, shaking, all alone. Such a difference to the bright smile she wore only a minute ago.

“I need you and Nahele to be safe.” Get them to safety - don’t let them out of his sight.

“Of course, we will head home.” Romy tried to be calm, breathing steadily, hoping to somehow calm his erratic nerves.

“No, not at home” he shook his head. “She knows, she’s been there.”

“Ok.”

“A safe house?” Steve’s eyes pleading with her.

“You want us to go to a safe house, while she sits in a HPD cell?” Romy frowned, when she realised that he left one important person out of his request. “Are you coming with us?” Romy raised her eyebrows. “You know the deal we got about go bags and safe houses. Either all of us or none.”

“Romy.” He pleaded.

“No! A deal is a deal.”

They stared at each other unwilling to give in. She could feel Danny and Nahele holding their breath. She did not want this to explode, Steve was tense as a coiled rope. “The Palace?” Romy made a peace offering.

She could see how his mind did a somersault. How he was calculating the risks, coming up with a counter offer, but in the end Steve nodded.

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

“This is really not fair!” Nahele flopped down on the sofa dramatically. “I’m finally no longer grounded and now I’m sitting here. In Dad’s office. All alone.”

“Cheers, kiddo.” Romy commented drily, as she settled down behind Steve’s desk powering up her laptop.

“Yeah, but you don’t count.” Nahele had pulled out his phone.

“And thanks again.” Romy mumbled under her breath. A knock on the glass door made her look up, Kono stood in there door.

“You got everything you need?” her friend asked.

“Yeah.” Romy bit her lip, she wanted to ask for an update but in front of Nahele. “Any chance for a decent coffee around here?”

Together the two women made their down into the coffee shop of the palace.

“Are there any news?”

“She turned up at HPD completely covered in blood, and she is pretending to be someone else.”

“What?” Romy looked over the display of pastries at the coffee shop. She tried to smile as she put in her order, but she wasn’t sure it was a grimace instead.

They took their drinks and food and headed back up the stairs into the Five - 0 offices. “She now goes by the name of Lauren Parker, and has just passed a psych eval, diagnosing her with Dissociative Identity Disorder.”

“You gotta be kidding me.” Romy let out a breath.

“I wish I wasn’t” Kono opened her office door, when her phone pinged. “The guys are on their way back now, hopefully we’ve got more out of her polygraph.”

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

“I think she misses you.” Danny leaned against the computer table.

“Yeah that’s funny.” Steve said unimpressed.

“I’m not joking.” he shook his head. “Think about it. This woman likes to play games, right? She, uh, she likes a challenge. She needs an adversary. She's still down one from the last time you beat her by surviving, so maybe she wants a rematch.”

“You think, she turned herself in because she was bored?” Romy’s voice behind them made all of them jump. Steve held out his arm for her and Romy stepped up to the table, her body pressing into Steve’s.

“That wouldn't be the craziest thing she's ever done.” Steve agreed with Romy.

“So the lady wants a rematch?”  Lou asked “All right. What's the game gonna be this time?”

“That's what we need to figure out.” Steve hated not being a step ahead of her. Why did this woman always managed to be at least two moves ahead of them, positioning them like chess pieces on her board, but she was the only player. It made him itchy, not knowing what was happening next, being on the back foot only being able to react instead of acting.

“Hey guys!” Kono stepped out of her office “So I just heard back about the blood that we sent over to the lab. They're still running a full analysis, but preliminary results show that we have...” she brought up some data files on the screens “...partial match to someone in the system.”

The table chirped when it found the match

“Alicia.”

The group fell silent, all of them staring at the picture on the screen.

“Fuck” Romy breathed out the word, Gray killed someone herself…her world tilting around her slowly. Steve didn’t see her sway, but somehow his reflexes reacted in any case.

“You ok?” His arm anchoring underneath her breastbone.

“Yeah” she looked up at him, confused. “It’s just…why is she killing now? Can someone be that bored?” Romy bit her lip “Go!”

“What?”

“Go! You need to find Alicia.” She grasped his arm, loosening his hold on her.

“No!” He tightened his fingers around hers and started to move towards his office. “Not while you start fainting.”

“I was just surprised.” Romy was pushed down in his office chair again. She swatted his hand away when he tried to feel her pulse.

“Mom, you ok?” Nahele popped around Steve.

“I’m fine, just felt a bit woozy.” She pushed Steve’s hand away for a second time. “Your Dad is overreacting. Steve, please, you need to check on Alicia.”

“You sure?” He squeezed her hand again.

Romy nodded with a tight smile, yes she was sure. If Madison Gray really killed Alicia, Steve needed to be there, needed to find her.

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

Alicia was found alive and well pruning bonsai trees on her balcony, apparently Madison Gray needed another player in her sick little game.

This day had been his worst nightmare. He didn’t think his hands have stopped shaking, since he got the call from Chin. Steve glanced over to the woman in the passenger seat. Her refusal of protection, wanting to stay at her place, asking him to stay with her instead. At this he had scoffed, was she really expecting him to leave his family unprotected so she could have what, a sleepover? He was frustrated at the whole situation, but Alicia in particular at the moment. The squad car he requested was still sitting in their driveway when he parked next to it, he frowned when he looked inside to greet the officer and it was empty.

 

“Romy!” He shouted into his house. Music was playing through the well hidden speakers and the lanai door was open.

“Hey you!” His body sagged a little bit when she appeared in the frame. A smile on her face and her feet bare. “Didn’t expect you that early today.”

Romy’s smile froze a little bit when she realised that the text, he sent had not been a joke.  He hadn’t come home alone. Her fingers pushing up her glasses, as she said “Alicia.”

His arms wove around her body, keeping her close, it felt so good to see her, to feel her body underneath his fingers. He slid his fingers into her hair, tilting her head back slightly and kissed her.

“Where is the protection detail?” He asked roughly, for all he knew Romy sent them away because she felt they didn’t need at anymore.

“Outside with Nahele.” She grinned, reading his thoughts right of his face.

“They should be at the front door.” His fingers skimmed over her face.

Romy raised her eyebrows “They sent me Pua. I ain’t letting him sit in front of our house, when he can sit just as good on my lanai.”

“Romy.” Steve groaned.

“Don’t start with me” she pinched him in the side “you want to have an input on my ‘detail’ then you better be it yourself.”

He framed her face with his full hands, kissing her again “I might just do that. Tonight” his voice lowered to hoarse whisper “in bed.”

“I hold you to that.” Romy smirked.

“I’m gonna say hi to ‘Hele and tell Pua the rules of security detail again.”

She pushed on her toes to kiss his cheek, and patted his hip to get him moving.

“Alicia, its nice to see you again.” Her smile was forced, as she extended her hand to the older woman.

“Thank you for having me, Romy. Steve was quite insistent.” Yeah, because you did not want to have police protection. Romy almost let out, but she bit her lip instead. Time to be an adult, she chastised herself. “Let me show you to your room.”

 ——xx——xx—— 

“I’m sorry.” Steve said quietly while prepping their meal.

“What for?” Romy was perched on the kitchen counter next to him, sipping on a glass of wine.

“For bringing Alicia here, I know you don’t like her.” Steve looked up from chopping vegetables for the salad.

Romy shook her head at his cluelessness. “I don’t hate her Steve. I don’t know her. The only time I met the woman was when I was drugged and she was knocked out. What I don’t like is, her flirting with you even though she knows you have me and I don’t like either that you never did anything to dissuade her flirting with you.” Romy set down her glass, holding his gaze when she grasped his hand. “I get why she’s here and I’m happy you choose to come home instead of camping out at her place.”

“I’ll always choose here.” Steve pressed his lips to Romy’s, he was about to pull back, when her hands made their way into his hair, anchoring him to her. Steve smiled against her lips, his own hand gripping her waist, making her turn so he could step between her thighs.

“Oh come on. Dad! Mom! We’ve got a guest.” Nahele’s groan made them separate slowly. “I need to apologise for my parents.” Nahele now turned to the shock frozen Alicia next to him “They still haven’t learned how to tone down the PDA when in company.”

“I’ll have you known that this kitchen was empty a second ago.” Romy tossed a piece of cucumber at Nahele, which the teenager caught and munched on straight away. She hopped of the counter, but not without pressing her lips to Steve’s cheek once more. “You done with your homework and SAT prep, kiddo?”

“Oh Mom!” Nahele groaned.

“Nahele?” Steve turned around now, finished salad in his hands.

“It’s done. I promise.” the teenager held up his hands.

“Why you giving lip to your Mom then?” Steve flicked his fingers against Nahele’s head, he bumped against his sons hip, getting him to follow him out of the kitchen.

“You ok to give me a hand with these?” Romy nodded over the crockery laid out by Steve, while she took the chicken out of the oven.

Alicia smiled tightly, still unsure what to do with the scene that had played out in front of her a second ago. “sure.”

Dinner had been delicious, as always when Steve cooked. Romy regarded the woman sitting opposite of Steve carefully. Alicia had been quiet the whole meal, only spoke when a question was directed at her, otherwise a small smile was her only contribution to the conversation around her. Steve’s arm had settled behind Romy, after they finished eating, his fingers making patterns on her shoulder.

“But Mom a dog would be amazing.” Nahele pleaded.

“Yes and who would go out for walks with it? Cause I won’t?” Romy countered good naturedly. Nahele had been pestering them for a pet for a couple of weeks now.

“Well Dad and I will take it in the mornings and you guys usually go for a walk in the evening in any case.” Nahele smiled triumphantly.

“Ok, but what about in two years time. You’ll be gone to college and then I’ve got a dog here…” Romy’s argument was interrupted by her phone buzzing next to her. “I need to take this. It’s work.” she got up with the phone in her hand. “And this discussion is over.” she pointed at Nahele, while greeting her boss.

“Tabled.” Nahele mumbled under his breath, making Alicia chuckle and Steve sigh.

“Why don’t you clear the table, kiddo?” he suggested instead.

With a put on groan, Nahele got up and started clearing the table, leaving Steve and Alicia alone on the lanai.

“If I'd known that you were such a good cook, I would've invited myself a long time ago.” Alicia broke the silence after a moment.

Steve smiled at her “I tried to, but you wanted to stay at the Hilton stealing bathrobes if I remember correctly.”

“Seriously, though, Steve. Thank you. This is nice. I'm, uh... glad that you convinced me to come.” Alicia took a sip of her wine.

“Okay. You sound, uh, you sound surprised.” Steve frowned at his house guest.

“I am. I mean-- No.” Alicia startled herself with her answer. “Don't-don't-don't take it personally, I mean…”

“No. No. How could I possibly take that personally?” Steve held in a chuckle, watching the otherwise so unflappable Alicia Brown talk herself into a circle.

“No, it's just that I’m…” Alicia sighed “…just used to being alone. The solitude. Since my daughter, and...and then my marriage fell apart, it's-it's easier. Some days I don't even have the energy to deal with people.”

“Yeah. I, uh... I like my alone time, too.” Steve admitted.

“Your alone time? With two other people in the house.” Alicia was skeptical, their evening has not been quiet at all. “Romy and Nahele don’t strike me as quiet.”

Steve shook his head “It’s not about being quiet, I’ve learned.” He turned his head to look inside the house. Romy sat at their desk, her face illuminated by the glare of her laptop screen. She was still on the phone, talking animately, her hands moving while she tried making a point. “It’s about finding peace. This is my peace, my solitude.” Steve drank some wine, his eyes never leaving Romy. “This is what Mdison Gray never had, what she tries to destroy to make you weak.”

“I thought I could handle it.” Alicia shook her head at herself. “I mean, I thought that I was ready for her. And then there she was, and I just…”

“Alicia, I’ll get it. When I sat opposite her, all I wanted to do was lunge across that table and kill her. For all that she did to my family. You know, it's gonna take time, but it'll get better.”

“Yeah, 'cause time heals all ills, right?” Alicia scoffed. “Except it doesn't really.”

“No, it doesn’t” Steve agreed, he still had nightmares of not being able to find Romy in time. “not all of them.” his voice dejected.

“And this is why I shouldn't be around people. Because I bring the mood down.” Alicia said, feeling horrible that she caused the turn of mood, of what had been an surprisingly decent evening.

“No, no, don't worry. I have very low standards for companionship. It comes from having Danny as a partner.”

“Nice.” This was not what she had expected, but what did she expect, that he would say he could not stand the woman currently sitting inside, not after she’d seen the way they behaved around each other.

“What are we toasting too?” Romy had come back outside after they had clinked glasses.

“To tolerable companionship.” Steve grinned at her.

“Please don’t tell me you bored Alicia with the story about Danny and that Reuben sandwich” Romy grinned and settled back down next to him.

“It’s a good story!” Steve defended himself.

 

A noise woke Steve up in the middle of the night, grasping his gun was his first instinct, then he looked  over to Romy. She was fast asleep, her naked body pressed against his. Carefully he extracted himself from her, replacing his body with a pillow. Slipping on some sweats and t-shirt, he grabbed his gun from the bedside table and made his way out of the bedroom. He checked on Nahele first, his son still deep asleep with his face buried underneath his pillow and his sheets thrown off the bed.

He was safe.

Making his way through every room, Steve checked the windows, making sure they were closed before he walked downstairs. Nothing was disturbed here either, all doors were closed. He knocked at the guestroom door, “Alicia?” He opened the door a fraction peering inside. Fuck! He opened it wider and it confirmed his suspicions Alicia was gone.

 

Alicia was gone, and with her Madison Gray.

And of course Steve raced after her, all the way to Wisconsin.

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

Romy stood on the beach, the only light was the slimming point of her cigarette. Her nail beds were already red from picking, so this was the next best thing. She had declined the full whiskey glass that Kono had tried to push into her hand earlier. She needed to stay alert, with Madison Gray free again and Steve out in Wisconsin trying to find her and Alicia, she needed to be alert. Taking a drag of her cigarette, trying to calm herself. Her mind was at war with itself. The Mom arguing with the Wife. He had left her alone again, again to chase after Alicia Brown. And Alicia Brown had once more disregarded anybody else but herself. But wouldn’t she have done the same? Would she have freed a serial killer to save her child? Her mind wandering to Nahele, tucked in his bed upstairs. Safe. She though of him refusing take out earlier on in the evening, instead getting out his worry in the kitchen, cooking a three course meal, that had Kono contemplating to move in permanently.

Of course she would.

But the Wife, who watched her husband race after another woman once more. She did not understand. She didnt get how he could do that to her, with Madison Gray on the run again, he would leave her.

Leave her behind.

“I didn’t know you smoked.”

Kono’s voice startling her so much she inhaled too much smoke and started coughing.

“Bad habit” Romy wheezed out “I know.”

Kono bumped her shoulder against hers “I’m not judging, you’re going through some shit right now. You’re allowed a vice.”

Romy took another drag from her cigarette, offering it Kono. Her friend shook her head. “Thanks. Never liked the taste.”

“But I’ll take one.” Renee appeared on her other side, plugging the cigarette out of Romy’s finger. She inhaled deeply “oh god I do miss this. Gave up when I was pregnant with Samantha.”

“Especially on a day like this.” Romy took the cigarette back and handed her still full glass of whiskey to Renee. She shook her head when her friend tried to give it back. “Trying to stay clear headed, with a serial killer on the loose.”

“You’ve got two patrol cars outside and Kono inside. You’re allowed to take the edge off.” Renee pressed the glass back into Romy’s hands, exchanging it for another drag of smoke.

Romy worried on her bottom lip before gulping down half of the glass, a shudder went through her body, as the alcohol burnt its way down her throat.

They stood with their feet in the ocean for a long time, Renee and Romy passing a cigarette and a never empty whiskey glass between each other and Kono with a hand on her gun and half a ear on the radio chatter, coming through her comm link.

“I just don’t get it. You know…” Romy broke the silence suddenly. Their heads whipping around to her friend, she had been quiet for so long. “I just don’t get how he can leave me here and go after her.” She lit another cigarette. “I’m so mad at him right now!” Her jaw clenched and she almost stomped her foot, trying to let out all the anger that’s been boiling in her since Steve had rushed home, told her that Alicia had freed Madison Gray, packed a bag and chased after them to Wisconsin. “Leaving me here alone! Alone with a scared kid. Leaving me alone to explain a fucking situation that I’ve got no clue how to explain.” Romy sighed and broke loose of he hug her girls had her in, she waded deeper into the water, her back turned to them. “Leaving me here, alone and scared and worried.” She turned around “the worst thing is…I can’t even be mad at her. Cause if that’d be Nahele, I’d have sold my soul to that piece of shit of a human being ages ago to get him back.”

Kono and Renee look at each other, unsure what to say, how to react. A small smile pulled at Renee’s face, finally Romy showed some emotions, some anger. She was way too calm, oh she’d have ripped Lou in half if he’d tried to pull a stunt like that. The next sentence however wiped the smile right of her face. Romy’s voice small, as she uttered “But he keeps running after her.”

Two steps was all it took for them to pull Romy into her arms. “And that’s why I didn’t want a whiskey. It just makes me weepy!” She lamented as she sunk into her friends embrace.

Carefully they moved back inside, leaving the cigarettes and drinks outside on the lanai, they made their way upstairs and collapsed, after a quick check into Nahele’s, into Romy’s and Steve’s bed. For the first time in days Romy slept soundly in her friends arms.

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

His grip on the door frame is tight, his knuckles white and if it would have been plywood, he was sure he’d broken it in half. They lost her, they lost Madison Gray. Alicia had her daughter back and Madison Gray was free again. The breath was stuck in his chest, the turmoil inside him had not stopped since he left for Wisconsin. They were so close for this to be over, but then Alicia needed to set her free, needed to start the whole game again.

Was his family ever going to be safe?

He let go off the door frame and made his way on the lanai, he sat down with a heavy thud. His eyes clocking the bottle of whiskey and half empty cigarette packet. Picking it up, he rolled it in his hand. His head fell forward. He was so tired. Tired of chasing a ghost, tired of being awake, tired of not being able to stretch himself one more inch, so he could finally catch Madison Gray.

“Need a lighter?”

Steve whipped around at the sound. Romy leaned against the bench watching him. When he didn’t answer her, she nodded to his hands. Steve looked down. When did he actually pulled a cigarette out of the pack.

“I...” He just stared at her. She looked like a vision, with her bed hair and the spaghetti strap cotton night gown she was wearing. The light she turned on in the dining room, shining out on the lanai. Before he could finish his thought, she had disappeared again. He blinked twice, did he imagined her? Has his wishful thinking already gone that far, that he started conjuring her?

“Here.” Her soft voice startled him again. She handed him the lighter and sat down a glass, pouring generous three fingers for him.

“You should be asleep.” He murmured, after he had drag of the cigarette and a sip of whiskey.

“And you should be in bed with me, not Renee and Kono.” Romy countered, taking the cigarette of him.

“I’m sorry.” His voice was heavy, heavy with regret and something else that she couldn’t pinpoint yet.

“I know.” Her hand moving up his back, massaging his neck. “You can’t do this anymore, Steve. You can’t leave me behind like this. Especially not for her.”

“I don’t wan - “

“I know” Romy’s voice was heavy now too. “I know you would never. But I don’t trust her. She put you in danger, she put me in danger, she put our son in danger. Several times...and you keep running after her.” He handed her the cigarette and she took a drag.

Steve looked at her, she stood in front of him. Her night dress barely reaching her knees. The way she held the cigarette in her fingers. Her eyes, her beautiful eyes, full of melancholy. Like she stepped right out of an 1930s Noir movie. Hell the atmosphere around them felt like that too.

“We found Sienna.” He met her eyes. “She isn’t dead. She was kidnapped to hurt Alicia and kept by a monster...kept like...like - “ Steve could feel the bile raising in his throat.

“Oh Steve.” Romy breathed out, taking one step towards him, his hands acting on their own winding around her waist, pulling her into his lap. His face buried into her neck. “Like she said she would do to me.” Romy finished his sentence.

“Yeah” his lips moved against her skin, holding onto her. Making sure she was really here, making sure he could feel her. That house, that room, it was right out of his nightmares. When he shot the son of a bitch, he didn’t only do it for Alicia and Sienna. He did it for Romy , for himself, so that there would be one less monster in this world and that hopefully he could sleep again, without startling awake, gasping for air, grasping for Romy.

They stayed like this for a long while. The whiskey had been drunk - by Steve.

The cigarette had been smoked - by both of them.

Together they watched the sun rise, bathing the east side of the garden in a glorious orange. Fingers intertwined, his heartbeat slowing down to match Romy’s. He relished in her closeness, this were he would always return to. To her, where his soul could breathe, where he could surrender.

“I love you, gorgeous.”

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

“You can’t leave like this. Ever again.” Steve looked up from his desk. He was reviewing case files in the office. Nahele stood in the door regarding him carefully.

“Nahele?” Steve pushed back from the desk, his pen falling down on the reports.

“You have to promise me.”

He frowned, “Kiddo, please come in. Sit down. Talk to me.”

“No, Dad.” Nahele kept his distance, not committing to step further into his office, to close the distance between them. “You have to promise me. You never going to leave like this again.”

“I...I...” Steve was speechless.

“You can’t leave us behind like this again, Dad. I hated it. I hate what it did to Mama. You can’t do this to my Mom again. To me. I thought we were a team”

Slowly Steve got up from behind his desk, and walked towards his son. He hated the hurt look in his face, the betrayed expression. It was like a 1000 paper cuts. He never wanted to hurt his son, not like this. He knew what it felt like to be left behind by a parent, he never thought he’d be the one to do the same to his kid. Nahele did not deserve this. “I’m sorry that I hurt you. I promise you, it wont happen again.” Steve said sincerely.

“And Mama? Do you know what it was like to watch her try to explain this to me. To see her, hurt....not able to understand. To hear her...hear her cry when she thought I couldn’t hear her” the last words barely a whisper. “You made my Mom cry.” The whisper turned furious again.

Steve stared at his son, ripping in half at his despair and on the other hand so proud of him, calling him out for his shitty behaviour not only towards him, but towards his Mom. “I promise you, the same thing I did Romy. It’s never happening again.” He opened his arms slightly and Nahele fell grateful into his hug.

“I love you, son.”

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

Steve sat in his truck, his hands gripping the steering wheel tightly, trying to process what just had happened. He knew he shouldn’t have come, should have trusted his gut, but when Sienna texted him he agreed with Romy. The young woman was not her mother and if she wanted to talk to him, then he would go. However when he arrived at Alicia’s, Sienna had been sleeping and before he could make an exit. Alicia had asked him  ‘Maybe we could go out for dinner, the three of us.’

The way Alicia had said it, looking so hopefully at him, trying to make a joke of easing her way into a social life when he had queried her ‘Don’t you mean the five of us?’

How she had shook her head slowly at him, grasping his arm ‘I like you Steve. We’ve got a real connection. I think we could be good  for each other.’ He stared down at it, still feeling her fingers clawing into his skin. Her shock when he had removed her hand, looking her dead in the eye ‘I think you got the wrong idea here, Alicia. I’m in love with Romy. I already have a real connection with a woman, that I’m not willing to jeropadaise.’ The snort that escaped her then, wanted to make him slap her. ‘You’ve got a girlfriend, Steve. She’s so young…I mean what have you even got in common?’

His body vibrated in anger even now, minutes later. ‘My relationship with Romy is none of your concern. She is everything to me.’ He had stormed out of the house, almost missing Alicia’s final words ‘Let’s see for how long.’

And here he sat, still shaking, still angry, still wondering, how he had missed the signs, no disregarded the signs, he chastised himself. His hands now rubbing harshly over his face.

Romy had been right - he had never set the record straight with Alicia. Why?

He had no idea. He just knew one thing, he needed to get home. Home and hold his wife close. Make love to her, loose himself in her, make her feel cherished.

Love her!

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

Romy stood in the kitchen, wasting away time on her phone, while she waited for the oven to signal the end of baking time her Three - Cheese - Biscuits. She really fancied them tonight with a glass of red wine and her new book.

“Hello Romy!” A soft voice startled her from the kitchen door.

“Aah!” She let out, grasping her phone tightly so it didn’t slip out of her grasp. In front of her stood Madison Gray. She could hear heartbeat in her ears racing. “What do you want?” She gasped out, still typing on her phone. Carefully she slipped it in the back pocket of jeans. Her eyes trained on the gun in Madison’s Gray hands.

This was real right?

She was really standing in her kitchen, with a gun. With a motherfucking gun. Her breath sped up again. Romy tried to stay calm, she really did, but this was unbelievable.

“To finish the game.” Madison said to her calmly, like it was the most normal thing in the world.

“You were playing with Alicia and Steve not with me.” Romy slowly inched towards the door.

“Oh but I like a challenge and in the end Alicia was not a challenge. She was predictable in her desires, but you...you and your husband. You were different. A true King and Queen.”

“What do you want from us?” Romy asked.

“You know, I always wondered why he didn’t fought harder that day. Why he didn’t attack me, when I held a gun to your head? Pretty much like I’m doing now. And again he isn’t here, is he? He is with her.” Madison Gray’s voice was seductive and slow, like syrup dripping down a surface. Sticking, clinging to everything it touched.

Romy glanced the gun pointed at her, how close it was to her chest. She knew if Gray pulled the trigger now, she would not survive the shot. She heard some noise from upstairs. Nahele must be in the bathroom.

Oh god her son, she prayed to anything that would listen, that he stayed upstairs.

Gray suddenly lowered the gun, setting it on the kitchen island. She had the audacity to nod at her, almost like she was taunting her with the proximity of it. In a split second Romy made the decision and grabbed the weapon carefully, she checked the safety like Steve had taught her. Slowly she inched towards the kitchen door, the gun raised at Gray.

This was not happening in her house, with her son upstairs.

“What do you want?” Romy asked. “You want me to kill you? Is that it?” She moved slowly, deliberately and who would have thought Madison Gray was following her through the house. “I’m not a killer.”

“Oh you sure about that?” The smile Madison Gray wore, reminded Romy of a cat who got the canary. “Even if I tell you where your husband is right now?”

Romy could see the front door out of the corner of her eye, she was almost here. She almost had her out of their house, she could do this. She knew Steve would be here soon.

“Alicia was more than happy to lure him away tonight. A little payback for getting her daughter back.”

“You’re free, wasn’t that payment enough?” Romy wanted to know.

“Ah you know Romy, a mother would do anything for her child. Like I know you will kill me. If only, so I won’t take these steps to visit your son. And you know, maybe she’s hoping to console your husband once you’re in prison for killing me.” Madison shrugged innocently.

So that was her endgame, getting killed, dying on her own terms and wrecking as many families as she could in the process. Romy scoffed, it was almost a perfect plan, the way she positioned all the players, she would take out the...how did she say...the King and Queen in one move. Romy marvelled at the foresight, at all the planning that went into it. She had one final move, that she could make.

“Ok...Ok...” Romy held out her hand, as if to stop her from going upstairs. “You want me to shoot you. I will.”

Madison Gray moved her head, looking at her calculating.

“I will.” Romy continued “But not here, not in the house my son lives in.” She gestured behind her. “Outside. The driveway. Neighbours will hear and call the police.” She swallowed. “And you get everything you want. Just leave my son out of this.” She begged.

“The love of a mother” Madison mused. “Really a punishing force.” She let Romy stew in her panic for one to many heartbeats, before she said. “I agree to your terms.” With that she moved past her and opened the front door. “Follow me.”

Romy stepped outside, right behind her. The gun held tightly at her side. She prayed, she hoped, this would turn out alright. “A bit further please.” She pleaded as Madison Gray turned around to her. “You can still see this part from his bedroom.” Romy explained. Madison nodded, and moved a couple of steps further out into the driveway. Romy turned around to the house, the large palm trees now obscuring the view from Nahele’s window.

“Come on Romy!”

Romy lifted the gun, her hands shook but she took a deep breath and trained the gun on the woman who had wrecked so much havoc onto her family.

 

Screeching tires interrupted the eerie quietness of the evening. Madison turned around, when the three cars parked behind them.

“Madison Gray!” Steve’s voice thundered over to them. “Hands in the air. On your knees!” His gun was drawn. “On your knees! NOW!”

Gray turned back to Romy, her expression, she couldn’t make it out, but she almost looked sad, or no - Romy squinted in the dusk, she looked betrayed. Behind them Kono, Chin, Lou and Danny were shouting as well. Telling her to get to her knees. To surrender. But Romy didn’t pay them any attention. She could only watch Madison Gray.

“You promised!” She shouted at Romy full of anguish and took a step toward her.

A loud noise penetrated the air and Romy could only watch as the betrayal morphed into shock on Gray’s face, as she slowly collapsed in front of her.

Blood leaking out of one perfect bullet wound in her torso.

Romy looked up and saw Steve, his gun still raised, they watched both watched her fall. The same time her body hit the ground, so did the weapon she had put into Romy’s hand.

Was it really over?

“Romy!” Steve shouted. He holstered his weapon and with two big leaps he was next to her, as she stood over Madison’s Gray body.

She bend down, could see the life ebbing out of the other woman’s body. “I told he’d kill you for everything you done to us.”

With her next breath she was blanketed by Steve’s body, swept up in his love. For the first time since October she felt fully free, and in his arms like she could touched the sky.

 

Chapter 40: You two are killing me

Summary:

Summary: When a dirty bomb is not the most exciting thing that happens today 

Warnings: None - not even angst. Aren’t you proud of me

Episode: Season 7 - Episode 18

Notes:

Hello lovelies, 

I’m back to my normal schedule! Oh does that feel good. Chapter 40 this week, it's one you have been waiting for. I hope I live up to the expectations. It was written on my patio, with the sun on my face. I hope my good mood translated onto the pages. 

Your messages and comments make me so happy. Keep them coming. 

Enjoy xx 

Chapter Text

“Good Morning!” Romy huddled closer against Steve’s bareback. 

“Morning.” A grin stretched over his face, as he felt her nose burying against his skin. Grasping her hands in his, he pressed the french press down to get the coffee going. “You having a bit of a slow morning, gorgeous?” 

“Yeah” he could feel a smile across his whole body. “Working from home today.” Steve turned around without letting Romy out of his arms. “Fancy joining me?” Romy leaned back in his embrace, her fingers trailing up his arms. Steve bit back a groan, now wouldn’t just make that the perfect Friday. And Romy thought so too, as she detailed out the day they could have “a nice breakfast, some paperwork, maybe a swim for lunch, a long afternoon break” she stretched up to his ear whispering “upstairs just the two of us” her lips nipped at his earlobe. Steve groaned out loud, hips moving against her on their own account of the image she built in his head alone. 

“As much as I’d love to, I and Danny are giving a seminar at the academy.” 

“You sure?” Romy pouted. 

Steve pushed her back slightly, her hands were wandering again and if she dipped any lower... He wanted to sit her on the counter, with her legs wrapped around him and to forget the seminar, that Danny was supposed to pick him up any moment and that Nahele had not yet left for school. 

“Don’t pout at me” Steve whined, making Romy laugh and she stepped back a little further, giving him some space. 

“Ok, ok.” She moved around him and started to put waffles in the toaster and some cut-up fruit out of the fridge. “Nahele! Breakfast!” She shouted out of the kitchen, trying to get their son moving. 

Accepting her cup of coffee from Steve, she asked “So, Danny still mad at you for reading his list?” 

“It was on the fucking back of Zippy’s recipe. If he didn’t want me to read it, he shouldn’t have left it lying around.” Steve went into full defensive mode.

Romy raised her eyebrows at him “Still mad then.” 

“Mad is Danny’s default mood, I don’t see much of a difference.” Steve panned. 

“Morning parents!” Nahele skidded into the kitchen, a little out of breath. 

“Cutting it close there, Kiddo.” Romy looked at her watch. 

“I know, I know.” He gulped down some orange juice and juggled a hot waffle between his fingers. A honk stopped Nahele from saying anything further. “Shit that’s Joel.” He grabbed another waffle and there was one more honk. 

“That sounds like Danny.” Steve sighed. “Even his honking is unreasonable.”

Romy followed them both to the door, her coffee still securely in her hand. “Hey!” She called Nahele back as he was about to bound down the front steps. “You forgetting something?” 

Nahele dutifully turned around and kissed Romy’s and Steve’s cheek. 

“Bye Mom, bye Dad.” He sassed and the next second he’d jumped the two steps down and run to the waiting car. 

“Don’t forget we’ve got everyone over tonight for your birthday.” Romy patted Steve’s chest. 

“How could I forget.” Steve grinned. “You’ve been reminding me every day.” 

“Well tomorrow you’re all mine, so we better get the family do out of the way.” 

“Can’t believe you won’t tell me what it is.” Steve kissed her slowly. 

“Now where would be the fun in that. It’s not every day, the first wedding anniversary and your 40th fall on the same day.” Romy pressed a kiss to the corner of his mouth. “Now go, before Danny starts honking a melody or something.” 

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

Steve unlocked the door with his phone wedged between his ear and shoulder “Well, of course, the “plain sight” rule applies. It was right there on his desk. It was out in the open.” He rolled his eyes, this was not how the phone call was supposed to go. He just needed one more person on his side and then he could spend the afternoon not thinking about Danny, but making sure Romy would not get any work done. “No. I didn't go in there to snoop, Chin, you... Listen, Chin. I'm not asking you to take my side. I'm asking you to, you know, agree that I didn't do anything wrong, is what...” he stopped short. Where was Romy? She was supposed to be sitting at the desk. The lanai door was open...was that blood? “Hey, hey, hey. I got to call you back.” with that he drew his gun, while his imagination runs into overdrive. The last time the lanai door was left open, a serial killer made them part of her game. 

This could not happen again. Slowly he inched towards the kitchen, praying - no manifesting - this was not happening again.

“Romy?” His wife turned around, her hands completely covered in blood. Making him miss at least two heartbeats. 

“Thank god, you’re home!” She sat back in a squat, revealing another person leaning against their kitchen cupboard. 

“Sang Min!” Steve let out and dropped to his knees. “What happened?” He asked as he took over the kitchen towel from Romy to apply pressure on the wound. 

“What does it look like?” Sang Min snarked “We’re having a party.” 

“Did I ask you?” Steve rolled his eyes. 

Romy grabbed another teatowel and replaced it with the blood-soaked one in Steve’s hands. “I’ve got no idea. He stumbled into the house 10 minutes ago, leaving a blood trail like this is a scavenger hunt.” 

“Sorry, about the mess.” Sang Min panted out when Steve increased the pressure. 

Romy squeezed his hand “Hey, the last time you helped rescue me...I owed you one.” 

 

Sang Min sure knew how to pick his enemies, this time it was no other than Abati, their missing bomb maker. And there goes his lazy afternoon with Romy, as he raced back to the palace just to be told that they found evidence that Abati was holing up in a cosy stretch of the Waimea Falls unreachable by direct roads. 

The perfect bomb-making spot if there ever could be one. 

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

The jump over the Waimea Falls was absolutely breathtaking, at least for Steve, the way Danny had closed his eyes, it seemed he was expecting to jump right into an active volcano. 

“Why don't you just admit it, huh? Admit it, you loved it. Who doesn't love skydiving? Steve asked, as they shed their gear and started to make their way through the jungle. “I’m definitely going to take Romy. It was a sick view.” 

“Romy skydives?” Danny pushed some plants out of his way, he was still recovering from the jump. How do people enjoy this? He would never understand!

“Yes, we go together every couple of months. She loves it.” Well and the fact they were doing it together, tied together, but that was none of Danny’s business. 

Danny scoffed “And? she’s in love with you…just proves she’s crazy.” 

Steve chuckled, ignoring the jab at Romy being crazy for loving him, instead, he needled Danny further “In fact, I'm willing to bet that skydiving is gonna go on that list of yours. Right after baseball and... hoagies and complaining and...”

“Wh-What is your obsession with this list? Leave it alone. Please.” Danny begged of him, trying to move the conversation anywhere else. 

“No, I don't have an obsession. I have a mild curiosity, all right? That you would A, write a list like that in the first place, and B, be so hypersensitive about it.” Steve explained, he really was worried about Danny. Why would he write such a list? It sounded like a list you would write when you’re unhappy with your life. Was Danny unhappy? 

“Ah. So that means you're not gonna leave it alone. Is that right?” 

Steve raised his eyebrows “You've known me for seven years now. What do you think?” 

“Okay.” Danny clears his throat. Steve turned around to him surprised, was it really that easy. 

“Okay, hey, hey, hey, okay, listen. Stop for one second. You want to know?” 

Of course, he did - man he was worried about him. “Yeah.” 

“Okay, I'll tell you. That was a list of things that I'd like to do when I retire, okay? You happy now? I said it. Now we can continue. After you, please.” 

Steve was gobsmacked. Did he hear correctly? Did Danny really say what he said? “I'm sorry, excuse me. Retire?” 

“That's what I said when I retire. I'm coming up on 20 years. Okay? I'm gonna pension out very soon. I got to think about what comes next.” 

“You're serious right now?” Steve could not believe it. 

“I'm absolutely serious. No, I want to do this for the rest of my life with you. Unlike you, I don't want to do this. Okay.” “

All right. I just want to get it straight, all right? You retire, you retire, and then, uh... what?” Steve cocked his head, what did Danny think he would do once he wasn’t a cop anymore? 

“I don't know, maybe open a restaurant.” 

Ok, now he knew Danny was kidding. “Open a restaurant?”

“That's right. A nice Italian restaurant. You know, like a, like a, like a little neighborhood kind of joint. You know, use my grandmother's recipes. It'll be, uh... it'll be very Ni... Where am I going? Italian restaurant on Oahu. Oahu could use a nice Italian restaurant, don't you think? Anyway, that's what I'd like to do, and you are now free to mock me all you want.” Danny ranted. 

“No, I'm not gonna mock you.” Steve took a deep breath, this was too good to be mocked on his own, he needed reinforcements for that. Danny no longer being a cop, but opening a restaurant. 

“No?” 

“No.” Steve nodded, scrounging his brain for a restaurant tidbit from Romy. “I'm gonna tell you that 80% of restaurants fail in the first six months, though.” He chuckled.

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

Ok, Steve let out a breath, trying to sort this whole clusterfuck that was the last two hours of his life. This was not supposed to happen like this. They were not supposed to be made. Abati was not supposed to get away and his second in command was not supposed to press the trigger that ignited a nuclear bomb, and while he was at it…they were not supposed to drive through the jungle with an unstable bomb in the trunk. He was supposed to be at home, wrapped up in his wife and in their bedsheets, not listening to Danny mumbling ‘Easy, easy, easy’ underneath his breath every two minutes. 

Maybe Romy was right, maybe this time of year was cursed. 

His jaw clenched tight in concentration and his knuckles must have turned white underneath his gloves. “Alright! You know what you saying easy, easy, easy every five minutes is not helping, helping, helping!” Steve snapped, he had reasons to get home. Romy promised him a day of just them tomorrow and boy oh boy was he looking forward to it. 

God and now they were arguing about Danny’s stupid list again like they did not have anything else to worry about. How did they get from Grace trying to find out what she wants to do with her life to Danny retiring? 

“We need to stop, we need to calm down.” Steve looked over at Danny, this was getting them nowhere, and they really had more pressing matters to deal with. A nuclear bomb for example. “We need to talk about something else and distract ourselves. That's what we need to do.” 

“Ah. I-I couldn't imagine what you'd want to talk about.” Danny snarked back at him. 

“Romy and I got married last year!”

Wow - where did that come from? This was not what he had planned to say. The air in the cabin of the truck was thick, explosive and it had nothing to do with the bomb they were transporting. 

Danny’s head turned to him, his mouth wide open. The shock was clearly written on his face. 

“Good That shut you up!” Steve’s gaze moved from Danny back onto the dirt road, trying to maintain his 8 miles per hour speed. 

And with that little sentence, the Danny Williams volcano erupted.

“You…you got married! Last year! To Romy!” 

“Yes.” God, it felt so good to have that out in the open. A smile slowly stretched all over his face.

“No!” Danny yelled. “Don’t you dare smile at me? You got married and didn’t tell me!”

“You’re planning to retire and haven’t told me either.” Steve countered. 

“The obvious word is planning! I didn’t just go ahead with it!” Danny raged. “You’ve been married this whole time and haven’t breathed a word!” 

“Yeah.” Steve sighed. “Well, Nahele knows. He was there...obviously.” 

“I...I...” Danny kept shaking his head. “I don’t...I’m speechless. Why...How...When?” he tried to make sense of all the questions, that were flying around in his head. 

Holy shit - Steve McGarrett was a married man. 

They sat in stunned silence for a while, neither of them really knew what to say. Steve’s eye fell onto the fuel gauge and he tapped the dash. 

“What? What is that?” Danny asked, his voice tired. 

“We got a problem.” 

“I understand that. What is it?” 

“Look at the fuel gauge.” Steve worried his bottom lip, this was sinking way too fast. “So what? We got enough to get there.” Danny shrugged his shoulders, it's not like they could pull over at the nearest petrol station to fill up. 

“No, you don't understand-- this thing was three-quarters full when we left.” This really wasn’t good, their time was running out as fast as the fuel. “I got to pull over.” Their fuel was shot, luckily repairable but unluckily for Steve, Danny had found his words again. Doubting and questioning every move and each of his words while he repaired it. He just wanted this day to be over. He wanted to get rid of this bomb and shower that jungle off. He wanted to drive faster than 8 miles per hour and not wonder if one jerk of the steering wheel would make the bomb explode and not only kill him, but also take away his whole world. 

Of course, the fuel line wasn’t the only problem, not 5 minutes later they made it to a creak with no visible way to cross it. 

They jumped out of the car, and Steve waded into it. Two steps later he was almost hip deep immersed in murky water. He shook his head at Danny, who waited next to the car. “We’re not gonna be able to drive through here.” Carefully he moved out of the creek, his feet squelching with every step. He’d give almost everything for a pair of dry socks and boot. 

Striding past Danny he said, “We're gonna use, we're gonna use the boards on the back of the truck and we're gonna build a bridge.” 

“Can I ask you a question?” Danny followed him, hands pushed in his hips, while he ranted. “Do you, do you take into account that I'm here, too? Do I have a say in anything we do? Or you just make decisions all by yourself? Is this how you treat your marriage too? Because if it is, I can give you the number of a great divorce attorney. Cause you gonna need it.” 

“What the fuck, man!” Steve ripped out the wooden side planks. “That was completely uncalled for.” 

“As uncalled for as not looping me in when you get married.” Danny continued to argue. 

“You didn't feel the need to include me in your decision to retire.” 

“It's my retirement. Why would I include you in something like that? It's got nothing to do with you.” Danny defended himself. 

“I don't know, Danny.” Steve groaned under the exertion of moving the floorboards of the truck. “Maybe... Maybe...because it's a big decision that affects me, too. Did you think about that? I mean, you want to talk about trust. Well, I... trust you to bring me in on big decisions like that. And quite frankly, it hurts my feelings when you don't.”

 “Oh, you have feelings?” Danny snarked right back. “Well, you know what? It hurts my feelings when you roll your eyes when I tell you I want to make a restaurant. That hurts my feelings. Or when you get married without telling me.” 

“Okay, first of all, my decision to marry Romy has nothing to do with you. Your decision to retire has everything to do with me. So, I’m sorry if I’m mad about that.” “How...how...where do you see a difference between the two of them?” Danny moved over to help Steve get the last plank out. 

“Well, your retirement will affect me personally.” Steve was no longer in the mood to defend his actions. 

“And your marriage doesn’t affect me at all?” Danny shoved the piece of wood into place. 

“Has it? Romy and I’ve been married for a year now. Any changes you want to complain about?” Steve set the wood over the little river. He turned around when Danny did not give him a snarky comeback. 

“A year?” His mouth was wide open. “You’ve been married for a year?” 

“Tomorrow to be exact.” Steve brushed past him to grab another slab of wood. 

“Last year ... last year ... oh my god you got married because they rescinded her green card, didn't you?” Danny blurted out. “You know this is illegal. Fake Marriage, shit Steve!” 

Steve took a breath, Danny didn’t mean it. He’s just worried. Don’t blow up. “Never call my marriage fake. Ever again.” He ground out. 

Danny took a step back, Steve was visibly vibrating. “Look man...I...I’m sorry.” 

“Yes, we did not tell anyone. Yes, Romy getting deported accelerated the timeline, but that does not make our marriage fake.” Steve took a breath. “I’m sorry too.” 

“What?” Danny’s eyebrows rose into his hairline. 

“For not telling you. Romy couldn’t have any of her family coming, so we decided not to tell anyone. We didn't want to hurt anyone’s feelings.” 

Danny levelled a look at Steve, and he grinned. “Well, Romy didn’t want to hurt feelings. I couldn’t have cared less.” He secured the final board. “Now would you please drive? So I at least get a chance to celebrate my first wedding anniversary.” 

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

Finally, they reached the clearing and had cellphone reception again, but this was when the good news stopped. Abati was dead, shot, just as shot as their chances now to defuse the dirty bomb that they’ve been carting around for the last 20 minutes. 

Their final chance after speaking to a Military Explosives Expert was to remove the uranium rods and then run for it. He did not like this plan, he did not like this plan for one bit. Steve run all the scenarios through his head, in the end, what choice did he have? If he wanted his family to live, he needed to get the Uranium out of there. What did Romy pray for last year? 

Health & Strength, we’ll steal the rest? Maybe that would help here too. Steve tried to centre himself, he could not have shaky hands as Danny tied the car battery around his chest, to keep the uranium exposure to a minimum. The beeping of the bomb seemed to get louder the closer to the time they got. Standing in front of the bomb, Danny tried to find the words, “I haven’t got anything. Good luck.” 

“Thanks, buddy. Take cover.” 

Getting the uranium out, was easier in the end than he anticipated, but he was sure he sweated through his T-shirt. They had three minutes left. “Danny come on out, Buddy. We need to get the bomb off the truck!” 

Together they got the bomb of the truck and the car battery screwed back in. his mind was doing the countdown for the bomb, while he sped away from the clearing. They had 45 seconds left. 

“I’m sorry, I should have told you.” Danny broke the tense silence. 

“It's ok. I should have told you too. I’m sorry too.” 

“What are you sorry about? You already apologised.” 

“For what I’m about to do!” With the Steve crashed the truck onto its side. 

“Are you crazy?” Danny swore while they made their way out of the truck. “What the hell is the matter with you.” 

“I want to see my wife again, so grab the canister and get behind the engine block. Don’t forget the canister.” 

Steve closed his eyes, they must have 15 seconds left on the clock. “Danny. If you open this restaurant, I want you to seriously consider calling it Steve’s please?” 

“Steve’s?” 

“Yes, cause then when we’re not together, we’re still together. You know.” 

“You’re very sentimental.” Danny scoffed. 

“All right?” Three, two, “So we’re good on the name?” 

One! 

The world around them exploded. 

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

Everything hurt, absolutely every single bone, nerve, tissue and muscle in his body were aching. Turning the key in the lock had never felt that exhausting before. He almost fell into the house. 

“Steve?” Oh god, this voice - her voice. He lifted his head where it currently rested against the door. He tried to smile, really he did. He hated her worried face. That didn’t stop him from leaning against her hand as she slid it on his cheek, trying to catch his eyes. 

“What happened?” That one sentence pulled him loose from the door and propelled him right into her waiting arms. His face buried into her neck, as he leaned on her, letting his weight fall against her frame. He could feel her adjusting her stance, and normally he would let go, but not today, today he needed her strength. 

“Come on” her fingers scratching over his scalp. “Let’s get you cleaned up and then you can tell me all about it.” 

Steve nodded against her neck, her hand pulled him up the stairs and into their bedroom. He had no idea how he made it, his feet seemed to be a separate part of his body right now. 

“Shower or bath?” Romy asked while she pulled his sweaty and soiled t-shirt over his head. 

“Shower,” Steve mumbled, shucking his trousers off in the progress. He watched her turn the water on, letting it steam up the room before she pushed him in “Don’t leave.” 

A sad and soft smile spread over Romy’s face and she pulled her cotton dress over her head. “Never.” 

In the shower, after all the grime had been washed away and he started to feel more like a human being again, he laid it all out. How close he and Danny had gotten today. How scared he had been, that he might not be able to diffuse the bomb. How Danny was planning his retirement. How he told him, that they were married. 

“I bet that did go down well” Romy teased, washing the shampoo out of his hair. 

“Full Danny Williams explosion.” Steve mimicked the explosion with his hands, making Romy chuckle. 

“It’s time isn’t it?” She asked as Steve wrapped her in a towel. They shared a look and she scrunched her face, thinking over the consequences. Ugh, so many people would be mad at them. 

“Yeah, it is.” Steve kissed her nose. “It will be fine.” He nudged her chin up, so she’d meet his gaze. “Any regrets, Mrs McGarrett?” 

“Marrying you?” She bumped her nose against his, looping her arms around his neck. “None whatsoever, Mr McGarrett.” 

“That is Commander McGarrett to you!” Steve squeezed her sides, hitting Romy’s ticklish spot, making her wiggle against him. Their kiss was slow and steady, like the feeling when you’ve been lying in sun for too long but are too comfortable to move. He never wanted to move. He sunk deeper into their embrace, lifting Romy up, her hands underneath her butt. Making them moan when her wet centre made contact with his dick. Steve stumbled them out into their bedroom, never breaking the kiss. He sat them both down on their bed, about to peel the towel of Romy when the dulcet tones of Danny Williams spread through the house. 

“Romy Erhardt! We have things to discuss!” Steve groaned and his forehead fell against Romy’s collarbone. “Erhardt...Or is it McGarrett now? I know you’re home! Don’t hide from me!” 

Romy pressed her lips against Steve’s forehead, he could feel her smile against his skin. “Oh, he always has impeccable timing” she pushed Steve off her, who fell onto the mattress with another groan, this time not out of pleasure. Tying the towel securely around her, she sashayed out of the bedroom. 

Steve could hear her shouting back “It’s Erhardt - McGarrett if you must know, Williams! At least get it right.” 

“Of course she double-barrelled, of course, she did.” Danny’s muttering reached him through the open door. “And what the heck are you wearing? Oh god! Please don’t tell me you guys were...” the disgust evident in his voice. 

“You really want me to tell you?” Romy was enjoying Danny’s discomfort. “Give me two minutes and I’ll join you in the kitchen.” 

“Two minutes?” Steve’s head pillowed on his hand, he followed her every move while she got rid of the towel and started to pull out her underwear. “We definitely need more than that.” 

“Don’t start.” Romy turned around, pointing her finger at him. She strolled the three paces over to the bed, where Steve still lounged. Leaning down she kissed him long and hard “To be continued once everyone has left.” 

“Romy!” Steve groaned out. “You’re killing me.” His head hit his pillow. 

“You would not have me any other way.” She winked at him and then disappeared out of the room. 

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

“How mad are you?” Romy leaned against the kitchen door, watching Danny unpack the groceries he needed for tonight. 

“So mad, I changed the menu for tonight.” his back was still turned to her. 

“I deserve that.” Romy sighed, they had worked on this menu for tonight for almost three weeks. Danny changing it at the last minute, told her a lot.

“Can I explain?” She took a hesitant step forward. Romy took his silence as the go-ahead to continue. “I got a letter, telling me that they would deport me. You remember the whole thing with Abby and Coughlin. So we decided that this would be the best course of action.” 

“You could have called. I would have been there.” Danny was hurt. 

“I know and Steve wanted to. It was honestly his second sentence after we decided. I wouldn’t let him” she let her sentence hung in the air. 

“You - what?” Finally, Danny turned around. 

“I’m sorry.” Romy grasped his hand, looking at him beseechingly “I was a nervous wreck and scared out of my fucking mind. And I never wanted to get married, and then there was Steve, ready to jump. To do this for me, so I could stay.” 

“He’d do anything for you,” Danny whispered, turning his hand, interlacing their fingers. 

“I know and that’s why. I didn’t want him to be trapped.” Danny scoffed at that, Steve feeling trapped by Romy, that would be the day. “And well, marrying because of a visa. Ain’t really that romantic. But it was. It was romantic, and sweet, and beautiful, everything I never imagined it could be.” 

“I would have loved to share that with you.” 

“So would have my family and my friends back in Europe.” Romy bit her lip and at that moment Danny understood. Maybe he understood better than anyone else. All of his family was on the other of the country too. He knew what it felt like to miss out on the big things, like weddings or births and little things, like impromptu barbecues or trips away, sometimes he didn’t know which one hurt more to miss. “and having one part of our family there and not the other...that would have just made me miss them more.” 

Danny pulled at their joined hands and engulfed Romy in a hug “I forgive you.” 

A throat clearing behind them made Romy jump. “Williams hands of my wife, please.” Romy could hear the joy radiating out of Steve’s voice and she let go of Danny to nestled up against her husband. 

Danny watched them for a moment, “I called it.” the two of them looked confused at their friend “You belong to each other.” 

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

The evening had been a full success and Danny’s change in the menu to showcase his idea of a restaurant paid off tremendously. Well, until Sang Min announced he was a vegan. Romy had never seen Danny that upset, until the 5-0 informant passed over his Grandma’s meatballs. She had watched Steve and Lou heading out to the lanai, something was going on there, but Kono distracted her with another question about Nahele’s earring. What could she say, he was 16 years old. She couldn’t really forbid it now, could she? “Hey, it's an earring. It can close up again. Better than getting a tattoo.” 

“I thought you liked my tattoos.” Steve grinned at her, he and Lou must have come back inside again. 

“So not the topic.” She shook her head, trying very hard not to smile, but she knew that she was unsuccessful. Steve nodded at her again and picked up his wine glass, coming to stand behind her, helping her out of the chair. 

“Well guys” Steve lifted his glass, calling the attention of his Ohana to them “Thanks so much for coming tonight. Who would have thought after the day we had, we could sit here and enjoy a wonderful meal” 

“and a birthday celebration.” Romy checked his hip, daring him not to forget it. 

“Yeah, yeah my 40th birthday.” He kissed her temple “Happy now? I’m old. I admit it.” 

“Here, here!” Lou cheered. 

“Obviously Danny’s idea of a restaurant seems to be not so dumb as I thought this afternoon, but only if we call it Steve’s” 

“Never!” Danny interrupted, setting down the cake Romy had made on the table. 

“You going anywhere with this boss?” Kono piped up. 

“Yes, well Romy and I...we’ve got an announce-“ he couldn’t say anything further, as a loud cheer erupted around the table. 

“You’re pregnant!” Renee’s voice could be heard over the congratulations. 

“What?” Romy shared a panicked look with Steve. “No. I’m not pregnant.” 

The silence was almost deafening. “You sure?” Abby prodded again. 

“Yes, very sure!” 

“Well then, what it is?” Kamekona was getting impatient, there was a perfectly nice cake sitting in the middle, and until they stopped talking, that cake was not getting cut. 

Romy bit her lip and scrunched her face waiting for the onslaught, as Steve said “We’re celebrating our first wedding anniversary.” 

Their friends all stared at each other, unsure how to proceed. Romy opened her eyes “You did hear what Steve said, right? We got married last year.” 

“We know.” Chin grabbed his beer bottle from the table taking a sip.

“You know what? That they’ve been married for a year?” Danny could not believe it, how was everyone so calm? 

“Yeah sure,” Kono shrugged, smiling at Romy. 

“What?” Danny screeched. “Did they tell you?”

“We didn’t tell anyone!” Romy tried to placate Danny, not wanting her whole effort from earlier to be in vain. 

Danny made a swooping gesture around the table “Then how do they know?”

Romy shrugged sheepishly before turning to the table. “How did you guys know?” 

“When Steve was shot you signed some paperwork and ticked married in a couple of boxes,” Chin said. 

“That’s when you found out?” Abby slapped him across the arm, annoyed that he didn’t tell her. “I only figured it out when Romy was in the hospital and Steve loudly demanded to see his wife.” 

Lou chewed on his cigar incredibly pleased with himself. “I recognise a fellow married man anywhere.”

“I was there,” Nahele mumbled self consciously. Steve squeezed his sons shoulder “Not without you, kiddo.” 

The focus shifted to Renee and Kono, the two shrugged at each other and pointed to Steve and Romy’s hands “Rings.” 

“The question is rather, Danny. How did you not notice?” Steve slung his arm around Romy’s shoulder, grinning at his best friend. 

“But...but you got engaged.” Danny stammered. “After you got married?” 

“Yeah, that threw us for a loop as well.” Renee butted in. 

“Well, this one here” Steve hip-checked Romy “had some concerns about getting married, especially with Coughlin and the whole visa saga. But she told me she’d say yes if I decided to propose again.” 

“And he did, while his ex-girlfriend was waiting downstairs to take him on a secret mission to free his mother out of a CIA prison.” Romy smiled up at him, caressing his face, before pressing her lips to his. 

While the others scrambled out of their chairs to hug and congratulate Steve and Romy, Danny sat down heavily in his chair, draining his wine glass in one big go. “You two are killing me.” 

Chapter 41: The good china

Summary:

Summary: A new case brings back hurtful memories, but friends and family make all of it worth it.

Warnings: None

Episode: Season 7 -  Episode 19, 20, 21

Notes:

Hello lovelies,

Ready for another slice of Steve and Romy? We are moving steadily to the end of Season 7 and I’ve got some family moments for you. The love declaration I stole from Chicago Fire because it was the most beautiful scene I’ve watched in a while and Sylvie and Matt do remind me of Steve and Romy somehow.

Cannot wait for your comments and reviews and messages, you are making my day!

Enjoy xx

Chapter Text

Romy poured Kono a cup of coffee, sliding it over to her friend with a small smile “I just wanted to check in with you. The news we dropped on you at Steve’s birthday party…”

“Girl, please!” Kono tool the mug “you and Steve married, that honestly was old news. Me and Renee actually had a bet going for how long you would be able to keep it a secret. I’m madder, that she won! I thought you’d have more willpower.”

Romy laughed out “I’m sorry?” She half asked, half said.

“You cost me a bottle of that crazy expensive wine Renee likes,” Kono complained good naturally.

“Morning ladies!” Steve stepped into the kitchen. He kissed Romy in thanks for the coffee she handed to him. “Kono, you got a moment for me?”

“Sure.” Kono looked over to Romy, hoping her friend would give her any indication of what this was going to be about. Romy rolled her eyes and nodded for her to follow Steve out of the kitchen. It was just Steve being all big brotherly. Standing in the open fridge she contemplated their choices for breakfast. Through the open door, she could hear Steve and Kono, first compliments on her and Chin’s handling of an assignment on the Big Island, that involved Steve’s old navy buddy Jack. Then his tone softer as he asked after Adam, Kono’s quiet response about family and providing. Warmth bloomed in her chest, yes he could be grumbly and stone-cold if he needed but underneath Steve was just the softest marshmallow. The doorbell cut through the house.

Romy heard Sara’s sweet voice and was that Kamekona? With a frown, she closed the fridge and walked into the living room. Steve was sitting on their ottoman listening intently as Sara gave him her sales pitch and then what Kamekona dubbed ‘The Look’

“And here I thought selling Girl Scout Cookies was only something that happened in the movies.” She knelt behind Steve clasping her arms on his chest and her chin rested against his temple.

“No, Aunt Romy! It’s real and we really, really, really need your help.” Romy smiled at Sara’s attempt at The Look again.

“Sorry sweetie, that won’t work on me. I’ve used that look myself.”

“Well can we interest you in some cookies instead, German Rose?” Kamekona squeezes Sara’s shoulder encouragingly, prompting her sales pitch once more.

“I think I heard something about us buying 13 boxes already. That’s a lot of chocolate you’re  hauling there.” Romy pulled a face. “You got some without chocolate?” She nudged her chin against Steve.

“Sure, 5 boxes of Hawaiian shortbread.”

“And 7 spread over the others?” Sara looked hopeful at Steve. “One more than Danny, right Uncle Steve?”

Romy snorted, those two.

“You got that right.”

She could feel her phone vibrating in her trouser pocket and she disentangled herself from Steve. “Hey!” She greeted her friend Anna and stepped away from the group, while Steve tried to rope in Kono to buy more cookies.

“Can I borrow Kono for a couple of hours?” She whispered into Steve’s ear, while Sara was counting out his boxes of cookies.

“Sure, everything alright?” He regarded her closely.

“I - I don’t know…Anna just needs help with something” not the answer he wanted to hear, but he knew better than to pry, especially with Sara and Kamekona around. “I’ll call you later.” Romy finished her sentence and kissed the corner of his mouth. “Wake Nahele up before you head to the palace?”

“That kid is going to sleep away his whole holidays,” Steve grumbled, reminding Steve of her Dad for a second.

“You start sounding like an old man,” she teased him on her way out. “He’s a teenager.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

Kono followed Romy in her car to the hospital. “So how do you know this nurse?” She asked when they were walking in.

“I met her volunteering at Planned Parenthood.” Romy looked around the lobby trying to find Anna. “Thanks so much for listening to her. I know this highly unorthodox.”

“Hey,” Kono grasped her arm “I’m happy to. Your gut hasn’t been wrong so far.”

Romy spotted her friend in her customary scrubs! “Hey, Anna! This is officer Kalakaua.”

The story that Anna told them in a resigned voice made the hair on Romy’s arms stand up. Watching the security footage amplified that feeling. Kono had the footage sent to the Palace, she needed Jerry to have a look at it, maybe run some facial recognition, getting some input from Steve. This was bigger than kidnapping.

Running facial rec on the guy didn’t have any results, but running it on the girl did. Steve sighed, he really didn’t want to be right, especially not when he watched that girl huddled on the hospital chairs, away from the guy who brought her in. What they found on Moani’s laptop was even more disturbing, the guy groomed her to share pictures and in the end even running away. That someone used a teenagers insecurities in such a way made his blood boil and well Nahele should get ready for another talk about security online. Was it save anywhere for kids these days?

The house, that Jerry pinged as the final location, was empty and eerily quiet. All those mattresses lying around, abandoned shoes and bags spoke of a hasty exit. Steve and Kono narrowed in on the last door. It was locked.

He smashed it with the heel of his rifle and then stepped back. Steve was transported back to 6 months ago, but this time it wasn’t a container and the woman bound and gagged wasn’t Romy. He swallowed against the bile trying to rise up his throat and he turned around quickly, guarding the door while Kono spoke to the girl. His jaw ticked as he tried to breathe through the images assaulting his mind. He couldn’t look, he didn’t want to see. He didn’t want another reminder. Oh god he wished one of these assholes were still in the house, his emotions started to boil and smashing his fist in one of the faces seemed a good release as any.

 

——xx——xx——

 

A sex trafficking ring on Oahu sucking in girls as young as 14 and 15 years old. Steve wondered if Romy had an inkling on where this could head and that’s why she asked Kono to accompany her to the hospital? His meeting with the governor had gone as well as expected. Tensions were rising and nerves frail, after he briefed her on the hell they were currently investigating. He still felt shaken by the image of Kelsey locked in that closet, every time he blinked it shifted back to Romy, taking his breath away for a second too long. He spotted Kono’s car in the parking lot, and Steve frowned when he saw Kono sitting in there. Unmoving. Her hand haphazardly wrapped in white gauze. Softly he knocked on the window and slid into the passenger seat. Kono’s eyes contained a fury he’d never seen from her. They both knew that anger in a cop was bad, but apathy was even worse. Especially when confronted with the bottom scrap of humanity.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Steve sunk in his Adirondack chair on the beach. Today was a stellar example of why he did his job. A disturbing and disgusting example, but by the end of it they had freed several girls from horrors unimaginable, and had a sex trafficker in custody. Not to speak of a high school teacher who’d like to sleep with teenagers. The Islands felt a little bit safer. He watched the surf of the sea, counting all the good things in his life. A technique his therapist gave him for when the dark thoughts tried to take over. He startled out of thoughts when his best thing wrapped her arms around his shoulder.

“You asked Kono for help on purpose didn’t you?” Steve’s lips moved against her bare forearms. Romy sighed and squeezed him quickly before moving around the chair and into his lap. For a while, the waves crashing against the sand was the only sound.

“I thought it might be better…”

“Thanks!” He pulled her closer. “It’s been affecting Kono though.”

Romy bit her lip, she didn’t want that for her friend. This morning she had just one thought in her mind - protect Steve. “I…I…badly?”

“Hard to say. She’s taking this personal. She’s angry. But she’s determined.”

Romy nodded “She asked me and Anna for some help finding a place for the girls.”

“We’re in the wrong spot.”

“What?” Romy leaned back catching his gaze.

“Usually our heavy talks happen on the swing and not the beach.” Steve buried his toes deeper into the sand.

Romy wrinkled her forehead in confusion, but he was right. They never sat down here on the Adirondack chairs for the heavy stuff. “Sometimes you need to mix it up.” Her gaze soft, as she kept looking at him. This day had affected him too. “How are you?”

Steve let out a heavy breath, letting fan over her sensitive skin on her neck. “It was disgusting. A teacher calling for a date, which meant raping a teenager. And the girls, they are so young. How will they ever lead normal lives again?”

“You saved them, Steve. You guys gave them a chance. A chance at life.”

His eyes watered, at her absolute conviction in him. “What did I ever do without you?”

“You’ll never need to find out.” Romy framed his face, kissing him softly.

“You guys done with your moment?” Nahele’s voice made them separate. Steve turned around, their son holding out two bottles to them.

“Thanks, kiddo. We’re good.” Steve smiled taking the bottles from him. Watching with fondness as his son flopped down in the chair next to them, kicking off his flip flops. The picture of pure contentment.

This was why he did what he did. The heavy cases, that never left him truly alone. Those two were why. As long as he had his son next to him and his wife in his lap to come home, he could deal with anything.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Steve sat in his office scrolling through the massive pdf that Romy had emailed him. How many fucking forms, could there be? He was currently on page 87 and he had felt this was not near the end. Romy had already filled out most of the fields, god he loved his wife. How did she write in this pdf anyway?

“Hey!” He looked up as Lou walked into his office and slapped a couple of magazines on his desk, effectively taking his attention from unreadable pdf forms.

“You want these? I don't need 'em. You see, my boating days and my dreaming-about-boating days are over now. Yeah, that's right, my friend, those dreams have been scuttled. Wrecked, ruined. Laying at the bottom of the ocean.” He plopped in the visitor chair dramatically.

Steve looked at his friend and leaned back “What are you talking about?”

“Well,” Lou sighed “Samantha went and got herself accepted into Northwestern.”

“That's fantastic. Lou, congratulations, that's terrific.” That was amazing! He always knew Samantha would get into a great school.

“Oh, yeah. That's fantastic for a man with no dreams of boat ownership. Or maybe a multimillionaire. But for my soon to be broke ass, now I'll have to just settle for being a land captain.” Steve listened to Lou listing all the costs of university, and he swore he blacked out a little at the price tag. Nahele was definitely going to enlist, guaranteeing him a free education, no way he and Romy could swing this shit any other way.

“It's a good school, this one that Sammy got into, right?” He tried to make Lou feel better, and who was he kidding also himself. Goodbye to the dream of a world trip with Romy once their kid was safely off to college. It was going to be back to instant ramen instead. “So it's gonna be a good degree, right? If it's a good degree, she's probably gonna get a good job. Hey. Good money, right? You can guilt that kid into buying you whatever you want.” That was an idea, make Nahele major in something that would bring in the cash.

“Yeah. Yeah, except for by then, she'll be sitting where I'm sitting, with her own damn kids to send to college.” Fuck, Lou was right this was a never-ending circle. “Look, don't get me wrong, I'm proud as hell of Samantha; she graduated high school with honors and as far as I can tell, she don't have a boyfriend. But let me tell you what else that means. That means I won't be walking around here spouting off any Williams-style retirement talk. I'm in this for the long haul. I'm riding this wave all the way to the beach, and by beach, I mean cemetery.”

“So why are you giving me these then?” Steve pushed the magazines of his laptop.

“Well, I thought you might want to…”

“Man, next year I’m gonna be in the same situation. I ain’t having the cash for a boat. Plus you know, Romy and I, we still have…”

“Are you kidding me!” Lou hopped in the chair with a massive smile. “You and Romy are…”

“What no…no..” Steve tried to calm him down. A shy grin spreading over his face “we’re trying though.”

“Oh, man!” Lou laughed. “This is great news!!”

“We’re keeping it quiet. You know until we have something to tell.” His voice toning down to a mumble “you never know what could go wrong.” His mind not only going to the possibility of a new baby but also the paperwork currently on his laptop.

 

——xx——xx——

 

“Hey gorgeous” Steve smiled when Romy picked up the phone. “Did we have any plans tonight?” He threw an annoyed look at Harry and Danny who snorted at his question.

“Nah, nothing special. Why?”

“Harry invited me to a poker game, with some of my Dad’s old colleagues.” He closed his office door into Danny and Harry’s faces. He did not need their commentary.

“Angling for some stories for the kids?” He could feel her smile radiating through the phone.

“Maybe.” He grinned back.

“Well, who would I be to deprive you of that?” Romy asked teasingly and then added, “as long as you’re not betting Nahele’s college fund.”

“That was one time gorgeous. And I won that hand.” He said indignantly.

“Schnuffi, I won you that hand.” Romy snorted, thinking back to their engagement party. “Did you had a chance to speak to the guys today?”

Shit, Steve knew he’d forgotten something, between Lou’s college crisis, a double abduction and Danny dropping the divorce news. “Fuck!” Romy let out when he recapped his day. “How’s Danny dealing with that?”

Steve looked through the glass door, watching Danny pace up and down while typing furiously into his phone. “He doesn’t know if he should be sad or delighted.”

“You think he wants to give it another go?”

Another glance to his partner, Steve sighed “I think he wants to, but ain’t admitting that to himself.” Once more he was glad that he didn’t stay in Afghanistan, that he let that thing go. That he never needed to wonder What if?

“Tell him if he doesn’t want to be alone tonight, he should come over.”

“Will do.” He locked his office door behind him.

“Well, have fun tonight and try not to bankrupt us. I love you.”

“Love you too.”

“Love you too” Danny mocked him when he hang up the phone.

“Really?” Steve raised his eyebrow.

“The wife gave you permission to come?” Harry teased as well.

“At least I’ve got a wife.” Steve lobbed back, shutting the two down effectively. “And she invited you” he nodded at Danny “over for dinner if you don’t want to be alone tonight.”

“You told her?”

Steve rolled his eyes what for a question.

“Of course you did. No secrets…you know what? I just will and use the time wisely to remind her that she married down while you get taken to the cleaners by this guy here.” Danny rubbed his hands gleefully.

 

——xx——xx——

 

“Ok sweetheart, spill!”

“Huh?” Romy’s eyes were wide as saucers at Renee’s blunt request.

“Please, you’re telling me you got us all here for a run of the mill dinner?”

“What she said!” Kono pointed to Renee, supporting her accusation.

Romy stuck her tongue out “I really need to find less perceptive friends.”

“So what is it?” Renee leaned back and watched the guys appreciatively clamouring around the barbecue.

“We actually wanted to tell you all together,” Romy said, an apology swinging in her tone.

“No!” Kono swatted Romy’s arm. “You can’t leave us hanging.”

Romy closed her eyes and took a deep breath, she was not dreading saying it. She was looking forward to sharing that piece of information, but it felt like jinxing it. Butterflies taking off in her stomach, as she opened her eyes meeting her friends' expectant ones. “We have submitted the request to formally adopt Nahele.” Her smile hesitant, while she waited for a reaction.

“Really?” Kono asked and she nodded quickly.

“Oh, girl! Those are the best news!” Renee exclaimed making Romy through her head back in a massive laugh, hopping in her chair in excitements. They were a tangle of limbs, and laughs and shrieks, attracting the attention of the guys.

“What’s going on over there?” Chin nodded over to them.

Steve adjusted the tinfoil the whole fish was resting on over the coals, a smile stretching over his face. He knew Romy could not wait until after dinner, she owed him a neck massage.

He cleared his throat, his eyes not straying from the patio where the women were slowly detangling themselves and clicking glasses. “A couple of weeks ago we put in a formal request to adopt Nahele. It got accepted yesterday, and we’re one step closer to making him officially ours.”

“Oh, man! that’s great news!” Lou patted his back and Chin nodded along “Anything you need, man. You tell us, ok!”

“Danny?” Steve prodded his partner, who had not said anything and actually turned away from them.

“Fucking finally.” Danny let out when he turned around, and the next thing he tackled Steve in a hug. Using the back of his hand to wipe his eyes discreetly, he clapped Steve on the back repeatedly. “I love you, bro.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

A couple of days later, Steve came home to Romy in tears. “Gorgeous, what happened?” He crouched in front of her.

“It’s...it’s...” she sobbed, and god at this moment every horror scenario run through his head, somebody died, or got hurt or ... or ... or

He was not prepared for her next word though.

“Beautiful.”

“What?” His imagination came to a screeching halt, he grasped her shoulders.

“Our friends....their letters...just beautiful,” Romy said with a thick voice, tears still gathering in her eyes. She cradled her IPad closer to her chest, cradling it as if it held the most precious things. Steve let out a breath in relief, his forehead resting against hers. “God, Romy. You scared me.” He pushed himself off the floor and sat next to her on the sofa. She leaned into his body immediately, Steve pulling her closer, so that she leaned against his chest. Romy loved the way their bodies melted into each other, how they managed to find the carved out spots on there, slotting together like puzzle pieces. She nuzzled her cheek against his chest, breathing him. The new laundry detergent tickled her nose, as well as hints of his faded perfume then underneath all of that - him. “we have the best friends.”

“Yeah” Steve agreed, his hand tracing up and down her arm.

“Here let me read something to you” Romy unlocked the IPad and swiped over the screen a couple of times until she found what she was looking for “and in the end, that’s just it, isn’t it? They already are a family, a mother, a father, a son. A found family, a family created by love. A family so right for each other, it doesn’t matter that it is so young, they belong together. So, even if the adoption is not approved, that would never go away. They would never let that be taken away. They are a family.” Romy’s voice grew stronger with every sentence, she turned her head slightly, looking up at Steve. “We belong together.”

“We do.” Steve agreed, his voice filled with emotion.

“We are right for each other.” She bit her lip.

“We are.” Steve squeezed her hips.

“I’m in love with you.” She grinned at him before she captured his lips with hers.

 

——xx——xx——

 

They had submitted the letters and all other required details, and now the waiting game began. Homelife was a little tense for all of them, the not knowing making Romy tetchy, the waiting made Steve restless and Nahele was worried. They all wanted this so badly, they could not even fathom what would happen should their request be denied.

Romy sat in her office, typing up her thoughts on the new conference marketing material, anything to keep her mind from wandering and to keep her from refreshing her inbox every three seconds. Ani had already banned her from accessing her voicemail. She owed her assistant some flowers or a bottle of wine when they finally had an answer.

A knock at her open office door made her look up. “Jerry!” She greeted 5-0’s special consultant. “What are you doing here?”

Jerry looked around twice before he closed the door behind him. He walked purposefully over to her desk and started to unplug her phone and laptop, as well as power down her IPad. Romy looked at him with raised eyebrows “You want me to cut off the electricity to this room too?”

“Could you?” His eyes lit up for a second.

“Jerry!” Romy sighed “What’s going on?”

He sat down heavily on the chair in front of her desk “Dr Cunha suggested I come to you.”

“Ok?” Romy squinted slightly, this could not be good.

“Five-O is on Lana'i, hunting down Michelle Shioma. They were closing in on her position when we lost communication. Now, it could be nothing...”

“Or it could be really bad.” Romy finished Jerry’s sentence.

“And well...no one knows that they’re there. McGarrett didn't want to get HPD involved 'cause he thinks that Shioma might still have someone on the inside on her payroll.”

“Fuck.”

“Yeah, so do I contact Duke or maybe Captain Grover in Chicago?”

“Jerry” Romy interrupted him once more before he talked himself into a conniption. “What does your gut tell you?”

“My gut?”

“Yeah, the team trusts you or they wouldn’t have left you in charge.”

“You think?” Jerry bit his lip nervously.

“I know.”

She could see him mull over his choices for a moment before he got back out of the chair “I’m gonna call Duke.”

“Good,” Romy said relieved, she had hoped that this was what he was going to say. “Let’s go.” She got up and slung her handbag over her shoulder.

They watched on the satellite footage how the helicopters with Duke approached Lanai. Watched how 5-0 with the help of HPD got Shioma’s men yield.

“There they are. Jerry, we got 'em.” Duke’s voice crackled over the connection.

“Yes!” Jerry exclaimed, high-fiving Romy, who let out a huge sigh in relief. Especially when she heard Steve’s voice. “Duke, you there?”

“Go ahead, Steve.” Duke again.

“Mahalo, buddy. We owe you big-time.” Romy twisted her wedding band, he sounded winded and like he couldn’t believe it was over.

“Really, uh, you want to thank Jerry for this.” She could feel Jerry freeze up next to her.

“Jerry, you on the line?”

He fumbled with the buttons on the screen, to jump onto the line “Uh, this is Special Consultant Ortega, over.”

“I don't know what to say, Jerry. I mean, you, uh, you disobeyed a direct command.” Romy rolled her eyes at his teasing, but Jerry must have thought he really meant it, as he scrambled up with an explanation. “I know, but so did a man named James Tiberius Kirk in a little movie called Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. And, like him, I'm prepared to accept the consequences.”

“Steve, please! Leave Jerry alone.” she laughed.

“Romy?” His voice was breathless for a second.

“Yeah, I’m here.” She tried to sound steady but did not think she was successful for one second. “But right now, you guys got a trawler to catch.”

——xx——xx——

Hand in hand they made their way down to Jerry’s dungeon. Romy could not wait to see his face. She was so proud of how far he had gotten over the years. The recognition well and truly deserved.

“Go ahead, pick it up.” They could hear Chin’s voice in the hallway, followed by Jerry’s  “It's mine? Does McGarrett know?”

“Does McGarrett know?” Chin repeated it louder and Steve stepped into the door, playing along. “About what? Oh, yeah, yeah. Yeah, I know about it. You saved our lives, Jerry. It's been a long time coming. You deserve it.”

Danny and Kono filled in the office, nodding along with Steve’s words. Romy leaned against the door, taking a picture for Lou, of Jerry picking up his badge. He winced as tried to put it on and Chin stepped forward.

“Here, let me help you. Let me help you.” He secured the badge on Jerry’s shirt and the group broke out in applause.

“You earned it, Jer.”

“How about it a little celebration at o“ Romy’s suggestion was cut off by her phone. “Hey, Kiddo.” She moved a step back, trying not to interrupt the moment. “Ok, ok! We’re on our way. Breathe Nahele. I promise.” That got Steve’s attention, he reached out for her phone, but Romy kept swatting his demanding hand away. “Offer her a drink. If she wants coffee or tea, use the good china. The good china, Nahele. You know where it is. Dad and I are on our way. Just smile and make conversation. You got this.” Romy uhng up to 5 sets of eyes watching her. “Sorry guys the party got to wait. We’ve got a social worker at our house and the kid is freaking out.” Steve stared at her, he couldn’t believe it. This was it.

Chapter 42: The Best Life

Summary:

Summary: Terror Attacks and Social Workers….the McGarrett’s don’t know which one is worse 

Warnings: Smut - over 18 year olds only! Please heed the rating of my story!!

Episode: Season 7 -  Episode 22, 23, 24

Notes:

Hello lovelies, 

are you ready for another slice of Romy & Steve? 

First of all, i have absolutely no clue about adoption proceedings. I did some googling and just hoped for the best. Forgive me if this is highly inaccurate. Smutty times are back this week, I had a lot of requests, so I hope I delivered. 

Enjoy xx 

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Steve ground his jaw, of course, the social worker was at their house, the one day that neither Romy nor he was there. What if they think it was always that way? That they constantly left Nahele on his own? Oh god - what if catching Shioma actually cost them the adoption? 

Next to him, Romy was not faring much better, her leg bopped up and down relentlessly and her fingers were picking at that bit of skin, right next to her thumb. “It’s gonna be fine.” Steve’s hand had moved from the steering wheel to her upper thigh, trying to stop the movement. He looked over at her, she looked as stressed as he felt. 

“The good china, really?” he teased, trying to lighten the mood. 

“I’m not gonna let this adoption go south, just because Nahele decided to give her a chipped mug or Danny’s horrible taste in birthday gifts,” she hissed back, referring to his two favourite coffee mugs. “Shit - sorry.” Romy’s head fell against the seat. “Didn’t mean to…”

Steve squeezed her thigh “It’s ok.” At least, she didn’t look like she’d explode out of her skin anymore. Mission accomplished. “But I don’t think the adoption hinges on what kind of mugs she’s getting her coffee served in.” 

Romy grabbed his hand and smiled when he flipped his over to intertwine their fingers. “I don’t want to take any chances.” 

“Fair enough.” 

 

“Mom, Dad!” Nahele jumped up from the dining room table when he heard the front door opening, and skittered across the wooden floor in his sock-clad feet to meet them. 

“You ok?” Steve asked while Romy pressed a kiss to Nahele’s hairline. 

“Yes, Ms Bowers was just asking me a few questions.” 

Steve let out a groan, not Ms Bowers again. He was sure that woman had never forgotten nor forgiven them for their initial house visit. In their defence, it was not her most stellar introduction either. 

“It’s nice to see you again.” Romy smiled and shook the woman’s hand and Steve needed to give it to her, that hotel smile hid her mood perfectly. She should have become an actress. 

“Likewise.” Ms Bowers smiled back. They all settled around the dining table once more. Steve, Romy and Nahele on one side and the social worker on the other. Romy swallowed, this felt like her practical exams all over again, only this time, she had no clue what the questions were going to be and she forgot to prepare. 

“This is really just a formality, as you’ve been taking care of Nahele the last two years and have undergone several visits and check-ins.” 

“Ok?” Romy fiddled with the cup in front of her. Nahele did remember where the good china was. Steve grasped her hand, stopping her fidgeting once more. 

“So, what can we do for you today?” 

“I’m here to observe a normal evening in your household. Ask a couple of questions and then make my recommendation.” 

“A normal evening?” Romy asked, making sure she heard correctly before she snorted a little. “Today has not been normal.” Thinking back to her and Steve’s day. 

“Why’s that?” 

“You know…” Romy started giggling. “Actually it was...completely normal.” 

Steve stared at her, was she losing it? “What my wife means” he tried to direct Ms Bowers attention to him “is that my unit managed to take down a big drug ring on the island today.” 

“Ah, okay. Congratulations.” Ms Bowers flipped through the papers on her clipboard. “If I remember correctly from our first visit, this is ‘why this task force got created, to take the difficult cases.’” she quoted. 

Romy and Steve looked at each other, slightly embarrassed. Oh god, had they been that confrontational during the first visit? “Yeah, I guess.” Romy bit her lip contritely. 

“So, then what do you do when you come home after dealing with hard and difficult cases.” They shared another look, did she expect them to do what? Their normal routine? Luckily Ms Bowers took pity on them “Just do what you would normally do, pretend I’m not here.” 

 

“So why are you adopting Nahele now?” Ms Bowers came to stand next to Romy who was contemplating the contents of their fridge. 

“He’s our kid,” Romy answered while selecting some fruit. 

“Yeah, but he’s ageing out of the system soon in any case. Why now? Why not keep him as a foster child? You do know that the state will no longer support you financially once the adoption comes through.” 

Carefully Romy set down the knife. It was better that way. The last time someone threatened Nahele in this kitchen, she almost shot that woman. “He’s our son,” Romy said deliberately, holding eye contact with Ms Bowers. “We don’t care about the money or how old he is. He deserves a family that loves him. Parents who are there for him. How dare you to insinuate that we…we…care about the money?” 

“A lot of Foster Parents do, Romy. Especially with older kids. They rarely get adopted, and passed from one foster home to another, because of the trauma they have experienced. I want to do right by him. In particular, because my department messed up with him before.” 

Ms Bowers stayed with them all the way through dinner, before she finally took her leave, and they all took a breath of relief. 

“Are you really getting money for me being here, every month?” Nahele asked after they closed the door behind her. 

“Yeah.” Steve nodded. 

“And you won’t get it anymore once you adopt me?” 

“Correct.” Steve had no clue where Nahele was going with this. 

“Why are you adopting me then?” 

This made both Romy and Steve laugh, breaking the tension that had been lingering since Nahele had called them. “Because we love you, and us fostering you has nothing to do with the money.” 

“So, the money…how much is it?” 

“It’s $700 each month” Steve looked over to Romy to confirm. 

“Wow…” Nahele looked back and forth between his parents. “And what do you…” he stopped himself from finishing the question. He didn't want to know. His parents loved him, regardless of the money, but the niggling thought had not left him since he heard Ms Bowers mention it to Romy. 

“It gets transferred every month in a saving account under your name. You can use it for college, or travelling or …” Romy was interrupted by her son's arms squeezing the life out of her. She could feel the tears and the grin against her neck and look up at Steve, who engulfed both of them in a hug. 

“We want you to have the best life, ‘Hele.” 

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

Romy was heading back to the hotel from a meeting across town. The music in her car was blaring, she had the windows down and her shades on. The meeting went well, she finally felt like her hard work was paying off. A loud screeching noise in front of her made her break hard. Panic set in as she watched four men jumping out of the black SUV that had t-boned a small red car. She was about to grab her phone from the centre console to call 911 when her door was ripped open and she stared into the barrel of an automatic machine gun. “Get out! Get out!” 

With trembling fingers, she managed to unclip her seatbelt before she was pulled out and pushed onto the asphalt. She could hear the squealing tires of her car, as it sped off in the opposite direction. 

She pushed herself up quickly and ignoring the fierce sting of her hands and knees as she ran over to the red car. 

A young woman was gripping the steering wheel tightly, she was shaking uncontrollably. “Sweetheart, are you hurt?” Romy leaned through the open window. “Can you look at me?” finally her eyes turned towards her, shock had definitely set in. “Are you hurt?” 

“No…no…” she shook her head. “I don’t think so,” she whispered. 

“Ok, what’s your name?”

“A...Amanda.” 

“I’m Romy.” She tried to smile. “Hold tight ok, help is on the way.” 

“My granddad” Amanda tried to turn to her right. 

“Don’t” Romy grabbed hold of her chin. “Don’t move. At least until you’ve been checked out. I check on your Granddad.” 

“Thank you.” the heartfelt whisper followed Romy as she made her way around the car wreck. The passenger side was completely smashed. This was not good, she reached inside the car again, trying to find a pulse on the older man. She was so glad when she finally heard sirens approaching. She could not tell that poor girl, that she wasn’t able to find a pulse. 

 

For the second time in as many weeks, Steve was made to relieve scary moments of his past. This time it was again a call from HPD that Romy was involved in a car accident. 

Steve sprinted out of his car, as soon as he spied Romy being assessed by a paramedic. “Romy!” he pushed through to her and came to a hard stop, almost toppling her over. 

“What happened?” his fingers making their way to her face on autopilot. 

“Some assholes t-boned a car and then carjacked mine to get away.” 

The fury in her voice made him smile “But you are ok, right?” he directed his question half at the paramedic who had applied some gauze to her hands. 

“Just some skinned hands and knees when they pushed me out of the car.” Romy tried a smile but winced a bit. Her hands and knees were stinging like hell. 

“Good.” Steve lifted her chin up and kissed her softly. “I don’t think I could have dealt with another broken rib from you.” 

“I’m fine…the girl and her granddad, however…” Romy left the sentence open-ended. Amanda’s tears when the HFD got her out and told her about her grandfather made her shiver. Before Steve could ask more questions the others appeared and enveloped Romy in their arms. 

“What have we got here?” he asked Lou, once everyone was assured that Romy was fine. 

“Well, there was a stickup at a credit union five blocks from here. Second bank job in a week, by the way. The perps were making their getaway, ate this stop sign, T-boned this car here. After that, they carjacked Romy and fled the scene. Chin's over there talking to the lady who was driving this car. She was treated for minor injuries, but, uh, she had her grandfather in the car, man. He wasn't so lucky. Paramedics declared him dead on the scene.” 

“Hey, there's something you guys should know about the accident victim” Chin came back after talking to Amanda. “He’s a survivor of the Arizona.” 

Romy grabbed Steve’s hand at this revelation, she could see how this information connected in his mind. How it made this thing much more personal than just her car being stolen. 

“Excuse me, guys. Can you give us a second, please?” He asked the paramedics again “Thank you. Thanks.” He watched with a tight smile as Romy squeezed Amanda’s arm in a comforting gesture. 

“Hey, Amanda.”

“Hey.” Amanda’s eyes wandered from Romy to him.

“My name's Commander Steve McGarrett. You already met my wife Romy.” he shifted from one foot to another, unsure how to continue. “I wanted to say I'm really sorry for your loss. Your grandfather was a true hero. I'm sorry.” Romy had let go of Amanda, her arms finding their way around his waist, providing him with the anchor to go on. “My grandfather-- the man I'm actually named after-- he served on the Arizona, too. Unfortunately, he didn't make it off the ship that day.” 

“I was upset about breaking up with my boyfriend, so he offered to take me for ice cream. I feel so stupid…” 

Romy’s heart broke for the young woman once again. “Wait a minute.” she interrupted her “This is…This is not your fault. You understand me?” 

But Amanda shook her head defeatedly “He survived Pearl Harbor, World War II and two bouts of cancer just to die like this.” 

“Amanda.” Steve’s voice strong. “I promise you I'm gonna find the men responsible for this.” 

They let Amanda be taken to the hospital by the first responders to make sure she sustained lacerations only and not any additional serious injury. 

“Do you mind driving me home?”

“Of course.” 

The drive was quiet, Steve deep in his thoughts. “Steve? Steve?” Romy’s voice shaking him out of his musings. 

“What?” 

“I need your key. They stole mine, remember?” 

“Oh. yeah, yeah.” He was still distracted when he handed his key over and watched her get out of the car. Her hand on his face startled him. 

“You will find these assholes.” 

He pressed a kiss to the palm cradling his face “You think?” 

“I know,” she kissed him goodbye and worried her bottom lip between her teeth as he pulled back out of the driveway. 

 

She sat on the lanai and had just finished calling their bank to freeze her cards and then forked out way too much money on a replacement phone. After an emotional phone call to Ani who promised to get her laptop wiped remotely and her day rescheduled, Romy felt a bit at a loss. Having no car, no phone and actually no money made her feel incredibly vulnerable and for the time stuck at home. On a whim, she typed in Leonard Patterson’s name into google. 

 

Discovering that these guys used to be employed by the U.S. Military made Steve even madder than he was before. At least they managed to recover some DNA at the scene, that they were able to identify. Nicholas Rider. 

He turned all his wondering about coincidences off, he needed to be sharp and present. The CCTV showed that these guys knew what they were doing, and leading a raid into Rider’s home was not without danger. 

They came out of the raid almost unscathed, well Rider managed to blow up his house and destroy all the evidence, he injured four officers and Steve was unimaginably glad he wore his vest today. He listened to the others giving him the rundown after he killed Rider, trying to get the bullet out of his vest with his knife. 

Finally, it pinged out of the kevlar and he put it onto the barrel in front of him. “Well let's get them declassified,” he responded to Kono’s worry about having hit a dead end with military files.

“Let me see that.” Lou stepped forward and picked up the bullet. “Alright Superman.” he grinned at Steve. 

He ruffled his hair consciously “Yeah, let’s not mention that to Romy.” 

“Got it, boss.” Kono hid a grin as well.  

 

“Hey.” He stepped onto his lanai and leaned down to kiss Romy’s head. She pulled one headphone out of her ear and lifted her head to kiss him properly. 

“Any news?” she shuffled over on the bench so he could join her. 

“Shot one of them. Waiting for some favours to come through to get files declassified, should lead us to his crew.” 

Romy leaned up and let her fingers scratch through his hair, adjusting his position, Steve leaned into her caress. 

“What are you watching?” he pulled at the headphone cable dislodging the other bud out of her ear. 

“I googled Mr Patterson earlier and he took part in a documentary commending the 75th anniversary of Pearl Harbor. I called the director and he sent me the full movie.” Romy leaned forward unplugging the headphones from her tablet. “Watch it with me?” 

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

Luckily his contacts came through and he got hold of the encrypted files, but man he wished he didn’t. Rider was part of a private security company stationed in Afghanistan, after an incident causing the death of several locals their contract was cancelled. Bringing them in wouldn’t help at all, they wouldn’t roll on each other. They were a band of brothers. Better put a detail on all of them and wait them out. They were in luck, one of the undercover units tailed the leader, Lee Campbell to a military credit union. And then he dared to approach them and leave a message for Steve - requesting a meeting. 

 

Steve stepped into the diner and recognised Campbell straight away. He ordered a coffee from the approaching waitress. He slid into the booth opposite Campbell. 

“If I had known you were gonna get here so fast, I would've waited to order.” 

“Oh, that's all right. Not gonna be here long.” Steve set his hands on the tabletop, trying not to inch to his gun. 

“Well, that's a shame. Your reputation precedes you, Commander.” 

“Oh, yeah?” Not the conversation starter he expected. 

“Highly distinguished Navy Seal, heading your own criminal task force. Guess that makes you one of the good guys.” Campbell looked him dead in the eyes, the tone mocking, when he said ‘good guys’ 

The waitress put the coffee down in front of Steve. “Thank you.” He took a sip before addressing Campbell again. “You mean, uh, as opposed to you?” 

“Yeah. I heard you been asking around about me.”

So he wasn’t without his connections in the military either, no point to deny it. “I have.” 

“Hmm. Wow, that must have taken some pull to get those files unsealed. But as far as the brass is concerned, you know, it's like they say-- what happens in Afghanistan stays in Afghanistan.” 

“I got to be honest with you. Whatever happened in Afghanistan is not my concern. When banks on this island start getting robbed, and innocent people start getting killed, that gets my attention. I know you and your crew were behind these jobs.” 

“No.” Campbell cleared his throat. “No, I don't think you do. Because if you did, I'd be sitting in a jail cell right now. Not here, finishing up my loco moco.” 

Steve had enough “You know, that car you jacked yesterday was my wife’s.” No surprise on Campbell’s face, they must have gotten through Romy’s things, her phone, her wallet. “But that’s not even…” his face tightened. “the other car, the one you guys smashed into yesterday, the passenger didn't make it. He was Navy. As a matter of fact, he was one of the last remaining survivors of the USS Arizona. His name was Leonard Patterson. He was 92 years old. He was a legit war hero who served his country with honor and with valor. But those two things are not things that you'd really know about, are they, Campbell?” His voice rose into a whispered shout. “Because you're not a soldier. You're a thug with a gun chasing a payday.” 

“You want to know the difference between Officer Patterson and myself? 

“I’d love to.”

“When Japan bombed Pearl Harbor, our country responded with nukes. But when the Taliban started using civilians strapped with explosives to target my men, you know how this military responded? They investigated us.” 

Steve snorted, this was this guys defence? “Yeah, our military investigated you 'cause you ran your crew like a death squad. You murdered innocent people.” 

“No, we did what we needed to do to protect our own.”

“Enough.” Steve could not listen to this any longer! 

Campbell got up and threw a couple of bills on the table, as well as a key “There you go. We’ll send you the coordinates to your wife’s car in a couple of days. You're welcome for the coffee. You know war is messy, McGarrett. Always has been, always will be. And I would have thought you, out of anybody else, would have understood that.” 

Steve pocketed Romy’s key and turned to the other man “You keep hitting banks, things are gonna get very messy.” 

“We'll be seeing you around, Commander.” With that Campbell left the diner. 

“Yeah, you will.” 

 

Hitting banks to keep a widow in her house…fuck could they not have a less noble cause. Steve trudged back home with a heavy heart, that shoot out still heavy on his mind. Romy wasn’t home yet, and Nahele not due for another hour. It was his day for after school, anyway.

“Hey, Dad!” He heard Nahele shout into the open house. 

“Hey ‘Hele.” Steve moved out of the kitchen, throwing the dish towel behind him. Nahele threw his backpack on a dining room chair and dropped his sports bag on the floor. With two steps he engulfed his son in a hug. “You ok, Dad?” Nahele mumbled surprised, against his shoulder. 

Steve pushed him back, hands still on his shoulder “Yeah.” He was so fucking glad he could see his son grow up, something his grandfather had been denied with both of his children. “I want to show you something.” 

That’s how Romy found them, bend over the old suitcase that held Stephen McGarrett, the first, worldly possessions.

 

They stood in the back rows watching as Leonard Patterson was laid to rest. Steve in his dress whites, Romy in a modest black dress and Nahele in the suit he wore the last time to their wedding. Steve did not need to ask for them to go, it was a given. They had stopped at John McGarrett’s resting place first, laying down flowers cut from their garden, before making their way up the hill to where Leonard Patterson’s funeral was being held. 

Steve grasped Romy’s hand as they listened to the chaplain. “There are many qualities that make a hero. But the one Leonard Patterson exemplified the most was selflessness. He was a member of what we refer to today as the Greatest Generation. As a young man, like many of that time, he put his life on the line for his country, asking nothing in return. His only request was that, upon his death, he be laid to rest alongside the many brave men and women who have served this great nation. And so, we bid farewell to Petty Officer Patterson. May God bless his soul.”

 

“Is it ok if we make one more stop?” Steve asked when they returned back to the truck. 

“Whatever you need.” Romy hadn’t let go of his hand, and he pressed a kiss to her knuckles. 

Steve drove to the harbour. Quietly he got out of the car and turned towards the Arizona memorial, lifting his hand to his temple. Saluting to the sacrifice all those men made. They truly were the greatest generation. 

 

They had changed out of their suits, dresses and uniforms when Romy plugged her laptop into the tv. “The filmmaker, the guy who did the Pearl Harbor doc he called me back.” She queued up a video and snuggled back into Steve, Nahele’s legs thrown over both of their laps. “He said that after we spoke last time, he actually did remember hearing my name. It was during an interview with one of the survivors of the Arizona.” She pressed play on the video. An old man in uniform, highly decorated in Navy medals appeared on the screen. “I saw more valor and courage on display that morning than any human being should see in ten lifetimes. But there's one moment I will never forget. It was right after the second bomb ripped into us. There was fire everywhere. Dripping off the walls, spreading fast. We could see other bombers circling above, but they were too high, our guns couldn't reach them, which means we're sitting ducks. And the C. O. comes and he says we have to flood the ammo shed before the flames reach it. Well, right away, a sailor steps up. Volunteers to go back down below, against the flow of all those wounded men trying to get out of there. I don't know if he recognized the sacrifice he was making but those precious moments he bought us, men were able to get off that boat alive. I was one of them. His name was Ensign Steven McGarrett. I will never forget him. Not for as long as I live.” 

Steve turned to Romy who was still nestled against his chest. He could not find the words, he was speechless. He really hoped his feelings were translated in the kiss he laid on her. 

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

Romy woke up to Steve retching again, the umpteenth day in a row. She stumbled over to the bathroom, dropping behind him. Her hand massaging circles on his back automatically. 

“That’s it. You’re going to the doctors today.” 

“I’m fine.” His voice was muffled.

“Don’t argue with me. Do you have your head in a toilet for the third time this week or have I?” 

Steve leaned heavily against her, his head lolling softly along her collarbone as he shook his head. 

“Schnuffi, please.” Romy was not above pleading with him. “If this was me, you’d have me pee on a pregnancy test and at the doctors to get checked out so quickly I’d have gotten whiplash.” 

“Good thing I can’t get pregnant then.” Steve rasped, his head settled against her collarbone.

“Steve,” Romy groaned, pushing her shoulder forward, making him bounce a bit. “Don’t.” Steve burrowed further into her body, he was exhausted and it was only 5am. 

“I stop if we can go to the doctors tomorrow.” 

“You don’t fight fair,” Steve grumbled against her skin. 

“That’s why you love me.” Romy brushed a wet cloth over his face. 

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

Romy wasn’t happy when Steve blew off her concerns to help Danny revamp Charlie’s bedroom. He should be at the doctors or a least at home resting and taking it easy, not trying to renovate with Danny who didn’t know a Philips screwdriver from a flat head. She wasn’t surprised when Steve called her in the afternoon, asking for her help. Apparently, Danny had bailed a while ago, an old case rearing his ugly head and Steve now needed to get him out of a sticky situation involving way too many guns for Romy to be comfortable with. Instead, she focused on being an overprotective Mum to Nahele, sending her son little messages while he was on a training weekend with his track team, and making pasta with tomato sauce for Charlie, who wouldn’t eat anything remotely healthy unless it was heavily disguised in cheese. 

“I feel you bud, I really do.” Romy stroked over Charlie’s head as he demanded more cheese to be grated over his pasta. “Everything tastes better with cheese.” 

“Look who is here!” she cheered not half an hour later when Steve stumbled through the door. 

“Uncle Steve!” Charlie vaulted over the back of the couch right into Steve’s arms. 

“Did I make it for bedtime?” Steve hefted Charlie up in his arms. 

“Nooooo!” Charlie shook his head. “Not bedtime!” 

“Yes! Bedtime.” Romy answered, tickling Charlie’s sides as she leaned up to kiss Steve hello. 

She listened to the conversation coming out of Charlie’s room while she cleaned up the kitchen and then sunk into the sofa. 

“Oh, Charlie! Oh, and the checkered flag gets waved for young Williams again! Oh, the crowd goes wild.” she chuckled at Steve’s cheering and could not help herself to join them. Leaning against the door jamb she watched Steve and Charlie negotiating over the next race. “Okay. I'm glad you like your bed, though, buddy.” 

“I love it!” Charlie’s smile was wide as he snuggled down against his pillow. 

“That's fantastic news.” Steve pulled up his blanket, tugging it around Charlie. “Let's get into it. All right. You cozy?” 

“Hey. You, uh you want to know a secret? Your daddy built this bed all by himself just for you.” Romy needed to hold in the snort trying to break through her throat. Danny could not build anything to save his life, but Steve lying to Charlie about it, made her heart grow two sizes. And it had nothing to do with her ovaries exploding seeing her husband tugging in a little boy in a racer car bed. Absolutely nothing! 

Charlie nodded “Danno's the greatest.” 

"He really is the greatest, isn't he? Fist bump for Danno.” She shook her head, Danny would pay good money to hear this, she chuckled softly as they imitated an explosion as their fists separated. “You go to sleep now, okay? Night, night. I love you.” 

“Good night, Uncle Steve,” he looked up and saw Romy in the door. “Good night Aunt Romy.” 

“Good night, buddy.” Romy blew him a kiss, and Steve joined her slinging an arm over her shoulders. 

“Hey, race you in the morning?” he turned the light off. 

 

They settled on Danny’s sofa and Romy pulled out her iPad “I really need you to go to the doctors on Monday.” 

“Gorgeous.” Steve sighed “I promised I would go” he pulled Romy into his lap, his hands gliding up and down her sides. Romy grasped his face, hoping he would see how serious she was about this. “Promise me?” 

“What’s got you so riled up?” his hands moved from her sides to her back, splaying across the expanse of it, one dipping underneath the T-shirt, her skin so soft. His eyes catching her iPad. “Please don’t tell me you WebMD’d my symptoms?” he groaned and picked up the tablet. 

Romy sat back with a huff, crossing her arms “Well you would not listen to me, what choice did I have?” 

“This website is a freaking rabbit hole! Once you’re down there, there is no way up!” Steve pulled her close, kissing her passionately, effectively taking her mind off his symptoms. 

“God! Stop that!” Danny held his hands over his eyes. “Please tell me my son did not see this!” 

“Nothing happened, Danny!” Romy grinned up at him. 

“Yet…” Steve murmured into her neck. 

“God no! Don't you have your own bed for that?” He still had not removed his hand. 

“You know what, Danny. You’re right.” Steve sat up, taking Romy with him. “We do have a whole house for that.” He stood up, hoisting Romy up, letting her legs wrap around his waist. 

“Bye Danny!” Romy waved at him, still securely in Steve's arms as he carried her out and to his car. 

“You know I can walk, right?” Romy giggled as Steve carried her once more from the car to their house, his lips firmly attached to her neck. 

“Well, you don’t have to.” Steve grinned as he made her moan. He pushed her back against the front door, keeping Romy steady while he unlocked their door. 

“What has gotten into you?” Romy played with the hair on his neck, her fingers caressing his face, dialling down the frantic pace they had going in the car. Her hand might have slipped into his jeans at a red traffic light. 

“You.” Steve managed to get the door open. 

“You say the sweetest things.” Romy’s lips replaced her fingers, making Steve falter in his steps. He nixed his own idea of making it upstairs into their bedroom and choose to drop down with Romy on their couch instead. 

Their lips finding themselves in deep kisses, tongues dipping in and out of each other's mouths. Their moans swallowed. Steve broke the kiss for a second his nose touching hers, Romy strained her neck slightly trying to get closer. Her lips chasing his. Fingers intertwining behind his neck, pulling him to her, their foreheads touching. Steve was unable to help himself, smiled down at her, tracing her features with his eyes. Willingly he followed the guide of her hands, a sigh escaping her as he slanted his lips back over hers, where they belonged. 

Fuck! He loved this woman. More than he ever thought he could love anyone. He pressed his forehead to hers, meeting Romy’s eyes. Seeing the love and want he had for her reflected in her eyes as well, was the best feeling in the world. He grinds down on her, making her whimper and her hips move in sync with his. His inner caveman preened at her reaction. 

He couldn’t wait anymore, he needed to feel her close, needed to feel her around him, diving into her. His hand making their way down into her underwear, dipping between her folds. Fuck - she was wet, so wet. 

“Steve!” Romy moaned. “Please fuck me.” 

He grinned at the urgency in her voice, loved that he could make is usually so composed woman become unglued with want. “Your wish is my command.” 

There was no more talking between them, clothes were shed, lips pressed against any patch of skin they could reach. Romy’s legs made their way around his waist again, making him sink in deep into her heat. Her hands fisted in his hair when he hit a sensitive spot inside of her, she pulled. “Fuck. Steve. Right there.” 

He captured her mouth with his, savouring her taste, her words, her moans. Thrusting in and out of her at a torturously slow pace, loving how she moved against him, with him. “Please, faster.” her mouth fastening against his neck, finding the right spot that makes him see stars and lose his rhythm. “Like this?” he rasped against her ear, his fingers finding their way between them, right to her clit. 

“God! Steve” Her hold in his hair tightening, pulling him closer. Her fingers trying to find purchase, moving from his hair to his shoulders. She couldn’t hold off anymore, he had wound her so tight, she was ready to fall over the edge with him. Romy cried out again, her back arching off the sofa, her muscles quivering as she came hard. His thrusts becoming more and more erratic, as he felt her cum around him, loving how she squeezes him, loving how he could practically feel her orgasm happening. “Let go Steve.” her voice raspy against his ear. “Please let go!” That was all he needed to fall over the edge himself. 

Slowly his heart rate returned to normal, the first thing he felt was Romy’s broad strokes across his back. His face tucked against her neck, she smelt like sex and something uniquely Romy. He could stay here forever, in her embrace, breathing her in. “I love you,” he mumbled against her skin, nipping her collarbone. 

“I love you too.” Romy’s hand leaving his back, and he made a mewling sound, not ready to part with any of her skin quite yet. “I’m not going anywhere.” her lips caressing his forehead and he snuggled in closer. 

“What are you doing then?” he rumbled as he could still feel her rooting around for something. 

“Sorry, am I interrupting our post-sex cuddles?” Romy grinned, and gave one final tug and finally managed to free the blanket she’s been trying to get. 

“Yeah, completely rude, after the amazing orgasm I just gave you.” 

Romy chuckled and spread the blanket over them “Just trying to make it more comfortable for us.” 

“Perfect. Let’s stay right here until we’re ready for the next round,” he could feel himself already hardening again, still deeply lodged inside of Romy. 

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

Romy dropped Steve off at the airport for another clandestine flight once more. “Another CIA site your Mom is trying to infiltrate?” she asked while they walked up to the plane waiting for Steve. 

“I hope not. There’s no way I can break her out of Guantanamo.” Steve joked. 

“That's where you're heading?” Romy breathed in deeply. 

He let his backpack fall next to them on the ground “Yeah, I brought Salaam in 10 years ago and he wants to chat.” 

“It’s serious isn’t it, if they allow him a visitor, right?” She had been around for long enough to understand the little messages hidden in Steve’s words when he can’t speak freely. 

“You know what to do when I text you, right?” he held her face in his hands, trying to memories her features. 

Romy nodded solemnly - they did have that National Security loophole for a reason. “My seal to protect and serve.” her smile watery, as she recalled the words she used to tell him before they admitted that they loved each other. 

“You bet your cute little butt,” Steve responded in kind, pressing a passionate kiss onto her lips. He let go of her abruptly and strode over to the waiting plane, he didn't look back, he couldn’t. What if this was the last time he saw her? 

 

Steve must have only just landed when he sent her a text with the dreaded code word. Squeezing her eyes shut she looked again, hoping she got it wrong. But no, it still stared at her. Mocking her. She allowed herself five seconds of pure panic before she kicked into gear. 

Opening their safe, taking out keys, passports, and cash. She dropped everything in her duffle bag, making sure it contained enough clothes for a couple of days. Then she went to wake up Nahele. Ten minutes later the doorbell rang. 

“You ready?” Danny asked. 

Romy shook her head but locked the house down and grabbed Nahele’s arm anyway. Moving quickly to Danny’s car, Charlie and Grace sitting in the back of the Camaro. Renee, Samantha and Will waited for them at the harbour, already loading their bags onto the boat, that was manned by Wade Gutches, an old Navy buddy of Steve’s and Joe White’s. “Mrs McGarrett, so good to finally meet you.” he pulled Romy onto the boat. “And McGarrett’s mini-me,” he nodded to Nahele. 

“How much does Steve owe you for this little preemptive rescue mission?” Romy asked while she helped Charlie onto the boat. 

“Anything for the Ohana right?” Wade winked at her and checked his watch. “We waiting on anyone else?” 

“Yeah, two more.” 

“We are cutting it close here Mrs McGarrett. Steve wanted us out of Oahu waters by now.” Wade checked his phone again. 

“Not without them!” Luckily Abby and Sara appeared in the next second and an argument ensued when Abby decided to stay behind and Sara did not want her to. Finally, half an hour later than planned, Wade pulled out of the harbour. 

Romy surveyed the scene, this was definitely not how she expected Nahele’s 17th birthday to go, but here she sat on a boat in the middle of the ocean, avoiding a terror attack that she was sure her husband was right in the middle off. Danny stood next to her, bumping her hip with his “Tell me, Romy. How many of these secret codes you and Steve got?” 

“You want to only know about the National Security ones, or our sex ones too?” she bumped him right back, giggling at his put out face. 

“Ugh! Wasn’t it enough that I caught you making out on my couch.” 

“You started it!” 

And so the waiting began, the constant and discreet checking of phones and news networks. Trying to gauge what was happening on the island. The kids were good sports, picking up on the tensions around them, without properly knowing what was going on. They tried to shield it from Charlie and Sara, coming up with silly games and dares. 

The sun had started to set when even Romy and Renee began to get antsy, no news for the whole day from their husbands left them on edge. Danny’s phone ringing startled him so much he almost threw it overboard into the sea, making the kids laugh louder than necessary, their balled up anxieties finally breaking free. “It’s over.” 

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

Romy didn't think she was ever so happy to see the fairy lights at Kamekona’s shrimp truck as she was today. She spotted Steve and the rest of the team standing a bit aside, discussing something serious, going by their faces alone. She was slowing down a bit, wanting to give them a bit of space, of what seemed to be the final wrap up of their day, but Nahele had a different idea and barrelled straight ahead. 

“Dad!”

His shout made Steve look up and gave him a two-second warning before the teenager collided full force. Romy slowed down even further, taking in the scene of all her friends reuniting with their kids. But her gaze kept returning to Steve, who had Nahele in a tight hug, whispering to him, making her son nod several times in quick succession. Then he looked up, searching for her face and she could see how he let out the same big breath she did when their eyes met. Romy stood still, just looking at him from the distance. For a while today she thought she’d never have that luxury again, now she basked in it, taking in every angle of his face. His beautiful face. 

A moment ago just looking at him was enough, but suddenly she could not bear the 10 feet that separated them, luckily Steve felt the same way and he lifted one of his arms off Nahele’s back. The only invitation Romy needed to close the distance and pushed herself into his arms. 

Steve closed his eyes, as he felt Romy collide with his body, pulling her and Nahele close against him. For now, he could ignore the terror attack, he could ignore that he scaled a building, that someone tried to shoot down a plane and that people in the US government were involved. For now, the only important thing was that he could hold his family in his arms. 

He felt Romy’s fingers brush against his taped up head wound and black eye, followed by her lips for a soft kiss against his temple, making it feel ten times better already. “Don’t think that an apprehended terror attack will get you out of your doctor's appointment tomorrow morning.” 

Steve chuckled and pulled her closer, leave it to Romy to pull him right back into the present. “I love you, gorgeous.” 

 

——xx——xx—— 

Notes:

Ok, this became way bigger than anticipated! Did you miss Steve calling Romy gorgeous as much as I did? Can’t wait to read your feedback or sing me a song or write me a letter. 

Chapter 43

Summary:

Summary: Saying goodbye sucks - it sucks hard. It doesn’t matter if it's to your friends or the belief that everything is going to be alright

Warnings: None

Episode: Season 7 -  Episode 25

Notes:

Hello lovelies,

Happy weekend all! The final slice of Steve & Romy in season 7. Thanks so much for all the love on the last chapter. It means the absolute world to me!

Can’t wait to read your comments and messages on this one.

Enjoy xx

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

——xx——xx——

Romy stirred her spoon in the shave ice sat in front of her, Steve watched her move the ice forth and back. The words of the doctor playing on his mind. “You know, if you want out “

Her head shot up at this “Out?” She asked and didn’t give him a chance to respond. “An fucking out?” Her voice lowered after her initial loud response but had not lost its intensity. “You really think that...that after everything...” Romy grasped his hands, her fingers tracing over his wedding band, swirling the gold ring around his finger. Steve watched her movements, mesmerised. It was the first time since the doctor’s diagnosis, that his thoughts stopped spinning. Everything... “That this, would be the breaking point?” She let out a little laugh. “Steve” his name nothing but a sigh, as she intertwined their hands on the wooden table.

“Did you hear what he said?” Steve shook his head, his eyes bright. “Romy, did you hear what he said?” His voice begging her, tightening his hold on her hands. “Leukaemia, immune diseases, any type of cancer actually... sterility” the last word whispered.

“He also said possible, Steve. And if, IF, any of these become reality. We will deal with it like we always do - together.” Romy leaned over and kissed his furrowed brow. “I didn’t marry you for the good times, Steve. If I remember correctly we got married during some pretty dark ones.”

“Yeah.” Steve pulled them out from the picnic bench and guided them down the beach walk. Silence stretched between them for a while, until Steve cleared his throat. “Sterility.”

Romy looked over at him, her eyes roving over his profile. “That’s the one that you really worried about?”

“It’s the one that can ruin all of our plans...maybe that’s why we haven’t...”

She closed her eyes and shook her head, of course, that was what was playing on his mind the most. “I stopped taking the pill 2 months ago, it can take up to 9 months to a year even...so if we’re in the same spot next year we can worry ok?”

Steve slung his arm “I just want you to have everything you want.”

“I’ve got everything...” he scoffed at that. “I mean it, Steve, you gave me a home, a family and an amazing son. What more could I want?”

“Romy” Steve groaned “you’re not taking it seriously.”

“I do, believe me, I do. I don’t want to talk hypotheticals though, we go crazy if we do!” She stopped them walking and turned in his embrace, her hands on his face, forcing their eyes to meet. “You already gave me one beautiful kid, and I know you’ll give me more. I don’t care in which shape or form.”

“My personal cheerleader,” Steve whispered into her hair, crushing Romy to him. She giggled against his skin. “You betcha.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

Steve leaned down next to Romy, she was still fast asleep and had at least another hour. She looked so peaceful, her sleep mask had slipped up her head during the night and the strap of her tank top had dropped down her shoulder. He moved it back into place, her skin warm underneath his fingers.

“Take a picture it’ll last longer.” Her voice was raspy with sleep. She blinked up at him and tried to sit up. Steve pushed her back down into the bed.

“It’s early, go back to sleep.” He smiled softly. “And I’ve got pictures, but nothing is as good as the real thing.”

“Sweet talker.”

“Only for you.” He kissed her and Romy hugged him, her sleep warm body moulding against him.

“Get the bad guys.”

“For you, always.”

Romy snuggled back down into their bed, rolling over onto his side of the bed. One last look of her, soaking up utter peacefulness before he needed to soil his soul with the dirt he dealt with daily. Steve opened Nahele’s door quietly, his son was as usual tangled in his sheets and his face planted in his pillow. How he didn’t suffocate during the night, Steve would never understand. Carefully he waded through the clothes and stuff thrown over the wooden floor and made it over the bed. He quickly checked that the alarm clock was turned off, Summer Holidays had started a week ago and then ruffled Nahele’s hair. Unlike his wife, his son slept through everything, Romy was right, a bomb could get off next to him and Nahele would sleep right through it.

In the car, he went over their plan of attack once more. They had cut off Deon’s access and escape routes. It was going to be a surgical strike, only 5-0 was heading into that house, so that the girls, the piece of shit was holding there, would not end up in the crossfire of a large operation.

 

This was it! This was the biggest strike against the sex trafficking ring. It needed to work.

 

——xx——xx——

 

It all went too smoothly, something had tipped off Deon and by the time they made it there, he was gone and so were the girls. It took them a couple of hours to locate the truck on the island, but Dionne was not giving up. He blew right through an HPD roadblock and Steve’s threatening call did nothing to dissuade him either.

Standing in the office, Steve was playing out his next plan with Charlie’s toys, while the rest of the team watched him, unsure if it was genius or suicidal.

“You're gonna land with perfect timing as this truck-- speeding, coming out of the tunnel-- you're gonna land with precision, with your feet on the on the truck?” Danny asked.

“Not actually gonna be that hard to time. We got everything we need. We got speed, we got the distance. We will have the rate of acceleration, right, Jerry?” Steve ticked off the requirements so they could calculate his jump and waited for Jerry’s nod to confirm before he continued. “Okay, there's got to be a better way. Well, I am open to suggestions.”

He waited for a beat, but none of them had anything “Okay. All right. Well, clearly, we're out of options. We're also out of time. This guy's very dangerous, and he's got a truck full of kids. My concern is: if he learns he's gonna lose in the end, he could do something at any stage that will hurt those girls. We got to move. We got to move right now.”

“Look, let's say that this works, this ridiculous plan works” Danny rubbed his hand over his face, he knew when he was beat with Steve. Better to go along now and make sure his best friend would not die. “Which I don't think it's going to. When you get in the back of the truck, then what?”

Steve grinned, he knew he’d get Danny on board “That's where you guys come in.” and he explained his idea of getting the hostages out of the moving truck.

“You gotta be kidding me right?” All heads turned to the door. Romy stood there with two trays of coffee and a box of doughnuts.

“You seriously are not considering jumping off a truck, right?” Her voice getting shrill towards the end.

“Let me…let me take that” Lou moved forward, freeing the coffee and doughnuts out of her hands. He could see them being used as ammunition against Steve, and well, throwing doughnuts is an arrestable offence.

——xx——xx——

Steve closed his office door behind Romy, trying to keep the argument between them, but he could see how their friends turned towards his office. Once more he wished for an office with actual walls.

“This is your best plan?” Romy didn’t wait for him to close the door properly and he could hear a groan from the peanut gallery. He shot a glare through the glass, but only got smirks in response.

“Why? Do you have a better one?” He pulled his vest over his head. “If I remember correctly my last stunt got me radiation poisoning and you were fine with that.”

Romy held onto her wrists, trying hard not to throw his stapler at him.  How dare he say she was fine with him getting poisoned? “This is not the same!”

“How? It’s exactly the same.”

“No! You getting radiation poisoning, was so you could stop a dirty bomb from exploding. This is you jumping to your certain death.”

“I’ve got everything I need to calculate my jump, Romy. I’ve had more dangerous drops during missions.” Steve tried to make the jump sound more measurable and controllable.

“And a full command centre with trained people to back you up. No offence to Jerry, but he used to be a conspiracy theorists wearing a fucking aluminium hat a year ago!” Romy slammed her hands on his desk.

“I’m jumping,” Steve said with finality. He checked his watch and unscrewed the pill bottle for his next dosage.

“What happens if you have a dizzy spell?” Romy crossed her arms over her chest “and miss your landing. You’re not at 100% capacity…”

Steve rounded his desk and rubbed his hands over Romy’s arms in what he hoped was a comforting gesture and he could feel the fight draining out of her. “I will be fine!”

“We will not be fine.” She responded in the same quiet voice “If you’re dead. Nahele would not be fine. I would not be fine.” Romy’s lip quivered, she shook her head slowly, trying not to entertain the fear she just voiced.

“Gorgeous, if there was any other way to do this, I would…” he pulled her closer. “Those girls, they deserve”

“I know.” Romy leaned up on her toes and pressed a kiss to his lips. His hands coming up to her face, Steve deepened the kiss, pulling Romy closer to him. His hand moving down to her neck and the other roving her curves. She responded in kind, pressing herself to him, her arms going around his back, hands splayed on the expanse of it. They separated with heavy breaths once air became a bit short.

“Go!” Romy mumbled against his lips.

“I love you.” Steve’s pointer finger traced her hairline.

Romy pushed him a bit away. “I love you” she watched him putting on the rest of his gear, clicking his vest into place and strapping his guns tightly to him.

“Be safe, Commander.” She said to him as he was ready to head out of the door.

Steve turned around “Always.” Then he shouted to the team “Let’s go!” And strode out of the office.

“You gonna stay here with me, watch the action?” Jerry asked her, he liked when she did, it was always great to have a buddy.

“Sorry. Not this time.” Romy shook her head. “I’m gonna go back home finish my work and be with my kid. While I try not to think about, that my husband might be jumping to his death.”

“Understood.” Jerry sank into himself a little.

“I’ll see you for your party tomorrow.” Romy kissed his cheek and then hightailed it out of the palace.

 

——xx——xx——

 

“Mom!” Romy could hear Nahele’s shout from upstairs. With a sigh, she closed her eyes before “What!” She shouted back.

She shook her head as he heard him thunder down the stairs, one day he’s gonna fall down those stairs. The next thing she knew Nahele thrust his phone in her face.

“Do you know?”

Romy took the phone off him and readjusted the angle, what she saw was Steve dangling off the side of a moving truck, holding himself up by one hand.

“Of course you did!” Nahele scoffed. “Why didn't you tell me?” He demanded.

“Kiddo” Romy sighed, trying to take Nahele’s hand, but he pulled it away quickly.

“No, Mom! I think I deserve to know when my Dad decides to jump onto a truck.” Romy massaged her forehead, one eye still trained on his phone, watching as Steve made it into the truck.

“I don’t know Nahele. I really don’t know.” Her head now resting in her open palm “I sometimes wish I wouldn’t know half the things your Dad gets up to, cause knowing and worrying and not being able to do anything to help...it’s sometimes worse than not knowing.” She grabbed his hand and pulled him right next to her. “And if we can avoid worrying you just for one second longer, we will do that ‘Hele. That’s why we’re your parents.”

“You think Dad is going to be ok?” Nahele hopped onto the desk in front of Romy.

“He is.” She said with conviction, trying to get the frown off Nahele’s face.

——xx——xx——

“The shit that we found on his phone. Connections all over the US, Arizona, Miami, New York. It was like tentacles spread all over the map.” Steve shivered, swirling the dark brown liquid in his glass.

“What’s gonna happen next?” Romy looked up at him, her head resting on his chest.

“I reached out to law enforcement in all the cities we identified, but I have a feeling this is only the tip of the iceberg.” He took a sip, letting the rum burn down his throat. “I talked to Nahele.”

“Good” Romy squeezed his hand, that was laying on her belly.

“About everything, the Radiation poisoning and my job. I think we came to an understanding.”

“Thank you.” Romy leaned up a bit, taking the glass off Steve for her own sip. “He’s our kid but he is not a kid anymore.” She sighed. “Having a teenager is weird.”

“Hard to find the balance between treating him as an adult and when not.” Steve readjusted his hold on Romy, pulling her in his lap instead. “He was so grown up when he talked to me today. Like do you remember the first time we took him for shave ice and he was so nervous and excited at the same time and today...fuck Romy. He looked me dead in the eye and told me ‘Dad, how can I be there for Mom and you if I have no clue what’s going on.’” Steve shook his head, unable to comprehend how grown his son in truth is.

“He’s becoming a man.” Romy nodded. “Well, at least until he throws another temper tantrum when he isn’t getting the newest Xbox game.” She let out a chortle.

“Hey, I might throw a tantrum at that too.” Steve poked her sides, making her giggle.

 

——xx——xx——

 

“Did she tell you why?” Renee pulled Romy to the side, as everyone was watching Flippa sing. Jerry’s party was in full swing and had spread from the living room to their lanai.

“No!”

They bend their heads together, trying to make sure no one was listening in.

“She just texted that they couldn’t host at their place and if I wouldn’t mind having Jerry’s party here.” Romy looked up quickly, wiggling her fingers at Steve who watched her and Renee. “I tried calling her but she didn’t pick up.”

Renee fiddled with her glass “Do you think this has something to do with the case or with Adam?”

“God I wish I knew” Romy let out, but then something else caught her attention. Both Steve and Danny had disappeared from the living room. “Give me a sec would you?” She squeezed Renee’s shoulder and walked towards the kitchen.

——xx——xx——

“And I got a little radiation poisoning from that dirty bomb that we diffused a couple of months ago. It's fine. The pills you've seen me taking, that's a short term thing. It's gonna knock it out. All right.” Steve leaned against the bathroom door, his face still had a green tinge to it.

“Short term, so, what, uh, long term, is there any- what- I mean, what is it?” Danny could not compute what was being said to him right now.

“Come on, Danny. You ask ten of these guys, you're gonna get ten different opinions, right?”

“Right.” Danny did not look convinced “Well, what did this, what did this guy-- he say anything about the long term, or?”

“He-he says he's almost 100% sure there's gonna be some side effects down the road, you know, but, Danny, we're talking years down the road, not today. I'm fine right now. This is nothing. Will you make me a drink, please? Come on, we got a lot to celebrate, right? I love you. Make me a drink.” Steve shuffled off back into the living room, passing Romy. A look of understanding was shared between them, he kissed her temple before moving further into the room.

Danny turned around after Steve’s bombshell. Romy stood behind him, she was sad, worried, a massive ball of anxiety all rolled into one. “Now you know,” she whispered.

“Why didn't you say anything?”

She swallowed, her face scrunching up trying to stop her tears “I’m scared. I’m so fucking scared, Danny.”  Oh god, it felt so good to say it out loud, to finally being able to articulate what was rolling inside off her for the better part of the week.

He pulled her into his arms, feeling her fingers clawing into his shirt. They didn’t hear the door opening behind them. “Danno? Aunt Romy?” Charlie looked up at them with big eyes.

“Hey, bud!” Danny turned around, shielding Romy from his son’s inquisitive eyes. “You all done?”

“Sure. What’s going on with Aunt Romy?”

“Why don’t you go in the living room and grab some more food?” Danny tried to distract him, but his kid didn’t want to entertain that option at all, shaking his head violently.

“Sweetheart” Romy bend at her waist to be on Charlie’s eye level “Go find Nahele and let him show you the newest game he got for his phone. It has penguins on it.”

Penguins, his favourite animal and Nahele his idol, if this was a comic a dust cloud would have been left behind in Charlie’s wake.

“Well played.” Danny nudged Romy’s hip with his. “You want to tell me what the doctor said?”

“It could be anything.” Romy started after they left the house through the kitchen wandering down to the beach. “A higher risk of cancer, a higher risk of dementia and Alzheimer. An exceptional high risk of no longer being able to conceive.”

That was worse than what he had expected.

“And he talks like this is nothing like this whole thing won’t have any effect on us. Like I won’t worry about him having dizzy spells, or him forgetting where he put his bloody car keys or…or…” Danny squeezed Romy’s hand. For once in his life, he had no idea what to say. They always were on Steve when he charged headfirst into a situation, but in the end, they applauded him cause whatever crazy plan he thought up, it works. He always manages to pull it off, coming out unscathed. But this time…

“And you know what’s the worst part?” Romy laughed sarcastically. “I can’t even be mad at him.” She shook her head. “I mean what was he supposed to do? Let that bomb go off? To kill us all?”

“Does anybody else know?” Danny wrapped his arm around Romy’s shoulder.

“Nahele” Romy sighed out. “Couldn’t keep it a secret from him, when Steve pukes worse than a pregnant woman during morning sickness.”

“We are trying to stay positive, but this unknown gets you...”

“Whenever you need anything, Romy. You call me. Ok? And if it's just to argue with Steve.”

“Thanks, Danny!”

“Don’t tell the Neanderthal, but you’re my favourite, you make him so damn happy, and I like seeing that dopey look on his face for the next 50 years.”

——xx——xx——

“Did she call you guys?” Chin asked Renee and Romy when the latter came back from the beach with Danny.

“No, we haven’t heard from her either,” Renee answered for both of them. She could feel her phone vibrate in her jeans pocket. She pulled it out, seeing two notifications from Kono. The preview read ‘Only read when you two are alone.’ She passed it discreetly to Romy. Her head shot up to Renee’s. This did not sound good.

 

——xx——xx——

 

It wasn’t good at all. Kono had left Hawaii, left to pursue the tentacles of the sex trafficking ring. Romy was shocked when she and Renee finally found a quiet place to read the messages. Their friend had packed a bag and left, without saying goodbye to them or her husband. Adam was still in a state of shock, according to Jerry who’d gone to see him a couple of days ago. And now they stood at the airport saying goodbye to another part of their Ohana. Chin and Abby and little Sara were San Francisco bound where they would create their task force modelled after 5-0. It was too many changes all at once.

“This sucks!” Romy cried on Steve’s shoulder after they watched Chin and his family board the plane. Steve chuckled softly, Romy had been in a sour mood ever since Kono had left.

“It does gorgeous, it really does.”

 

——xx——xx——

Notes:

And that is a wrap to Season 7

Chapter 44: Of course we keep him

Summary:

Summary: New faces all around

Warnings: SMUT in capital letters - no under 18 year olds

Episode: Season 8 - 1 & 2

Notes:

Hello lovelies, 

Welcome to Season 8! Are you ready? I spend the majority of the week watching the season, trying to map out the chapters, and god am I glad that this is a much lighter season than the last one.

Are you ready to say hello to a new family member?

Let me know what you think! Your messages and reviews make me so happy - I can’t thank you enough!

Enjoy xx 

Chapter Text

“Do you I understand this right? You want to recruit someone with no experience and who got kicked out of the academy.”

“Yeah.” Steve nodded. “She doesn’t play after the rules.”

“A female you then?” Romy picked up the file laying on the desk, flicking through the papers, her eyebrow lifting at some of the passages.

“What do you think?” Steve leaned back in the chair.

“Me?” Romy cocked her head. “This is your team.”

“I trust your people skills, and I’ve been told repeatedly by Danny and you, that I don’t have any. So?”

She heaved a big sigh, setting the file back down on the desk. “She’s young. She’s rough around the edges. She’d need a lot of training, but if you feel she’s the right fit. Go for it, experience comes with time and she’d be working with some pretty good cops.” Romy winked at him.

Steve got up and leaned over the desk to kiss her “Thanks.” He whispered as they separated. His phone chirped not two seconds later, making Steve groan and Romy giggle.

“How can you still be groaning at your phone, Schnuffi. It has been ruining moments since we met and I bet even beforehand.”

“If it would be at least a case…it’s just Danny telling me he’s here.”

“What!” Romy gasped. “No honk concert today or storming in here? Williams is losing his touch.”

“Don’t!” Steve kissed her again goodbye. “Don’t encourage him.”

“Go” Romy nodded to the door. “Won’t be good to leave him waiting.”

“I’ll see you tonight.” With that, Steve disappeared out of the door.

 

——xx——xx——

 

The fire could be seen miles away even before tv and radio stations announced the catastrophe. Staying indoors with your windows closed worked well for some people but not for all the tourists who came to Hawaii to spend it outdoors. Romy had lost count of the number of complaints ticking through the system on her laptop, sometimes she really wondered about humanity. People were losing their homes and livelihoods and some dared to complain that they couldn’t keep the balcony doors open. She shook her head watching another one ping in, while she tried to keep an eye on the news and her attention to the mayor's aide she had on the phone. The fire spread rapidly dark clouds could be seen all over Honolulu. Romy had a gut feeling that Steve was in there somewhere. Right in the middle of the Action and danger, as usual.

At least this time she could help and not just stand on the sidelines. The height of summer always meant full hotels and empty conference rooms. People were always surprised how quickly a ballroom could be converted into a shelter.

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

“Fuck Steve!” Romy exclaimed when he and Danny both stumbled through the door in the evening. She had only come home herself, her heels dropped at the door right next to her laptop bag. Both were full of soot and Steve of course with some battle wounds around his face. “What happened?” Her fingers carefully tracing around his wound. She dragged them both into the kitchen and rooted for their first aid kit. Danny and Steve launched into the tale of their day, while Romy cleaned up their wounds and added some medical tape to Steve’s deeper gashes. Meeting Tani, Danny finding the perfect spot for his restaurant, Ian Wright releasing DuClare and him dying in his set fire.

“You pulled a house out of the fire, with a helicopter?”

She watched the two men nod at her question. “And Tani is now part of the team?”

“Jury is still out on that. I have three words for Tani Rei.” Danny declared as he let himself fall into a lanai chair.

“Ok.” Romy tried to hide her smile behind her hand, settling down on the bench opposite him.

He took a long sip from his beer “Unpredictable, stubborn, crazy.”

Romy nodded, after she heard the story of today, she wholehearted agreed with his sentiment.

“She’s a female Steve.” Danny surmised.

“And you needed a full day, getting locked in a wildfire to figure that one out?” Romy handed him more baby wipes, apparently the best way to remove soot. Thank you google!

“Yeah well, better than what he did.” Danny nodded to Steve who stepped out on the lanai freshly showered.

“What did I do?” He asked, settling next to Romy his hand on her neck in a loving gesture.

“Decided to run through the fire with only a flimsy towel to protect him.”

He grinned sheepishly at Romy, who looked like she described as unimpressed, in capital letters. “It was the only way to get help. It was either that or we’d all burn alive.”

Romy wanted to smack him and kiss him at the same time. “You’re lucky you’re cute.” He helped her with that decision and kissed her softly. “I’m fine.” He whispered into her ear. Steve could feel her inhale and then her nod. He leaned back from her, but not without taking a whiff of her scent - citrusy perfume, leftover smoke, a bit of sweat and something uniquely Romy. He really wished Danny wasn’t here right now, he’d pull her in his lap and bury his face in the spot where her shoulder meets her neck, maybe his lips would graze her collarbone. Romy would moan at that and bury her fingers in his hair, pulling slightly.

Her thumb moving over his cheekbones brought him back to the present. “You’re going to give me grey hair and wrinkles.”

Steve caught her wrist, pressing a kiss to it. “Will just make you look more beautiful.” Romy’s soft smile made his heart sore.

“You two done now?” Leave it to Danny to shatter a moment.

 

 ——xx——xx——

 

“What are you doing?” Steve stood behind her, his hands settling on her shoulders, massaging them.

“Checking in on our finances.”

“Ok? Anything we should be worried about?” He leaned against the desk now, pushing the chair back, so Romy could face him.

“Before you say anything! Hear me out.”

“That’s gotta be good,” Steve smirked.

“You want to be a partner in Danny’s restaurant,” Romy stated and watched Steve’s face carefully. He hadn’t said anything outright but she knew her husband. He’d never let Danny embark on something like this on his own.

“I...I...”

She raised her eyebrows at his stuttering, making him chuckle.

“Yes, it crossed my mind,” Steve admitted.

“Restaurants are a risky business -“

“Not you too!” He groaned. “Everybody keeps telling us that.”

“Because it’s true!” She punched his leg, for interrupting her. “It’s a fucking risky business, especially for two people who have never even worked in one. I know it all looks like fun and games, but a good restaurant takes commitment, experience and a knack to finding exactly what your guests want.”

“Well, that’s what we have you for.” Steve picked up the papers she was doodling on. His eyes bugged at the zeros of her calculations.

“Absolutely not, Schnuffi.” Romy’s no-nonsense tone pulled him away from the figures.

“What?” He looked up at her “Of course, you’re gonna be involved.”

Romy pushed herself a little bit further back and stretched out her legs, her feet tangling with Steve’s. “I’m not leaving work to then work some more in a restaurant in my downtime. This is your and Danny’s baby. If it’d be going after me you’d be doing anything else, but I know better than to get between you and Danny. You want to do this, go for it. But unless it's for fabric choices or menu tasting I ain’t gonna be there. I did enough waitressing and pot washing in my apprenticeship.”

“Didn’t know you’d feel that strongly about it,” Steve grumbled, he couldn’t imagine doing this without Romy. In his imagination, she was right there with him and Danny.

“Steve.” She levelled a look at him, hoping he’d understand. “This is work for me, and fun for you and Danny. I’m just trying to head off all the arguments that are going to come when I suggest something and you two will ignore me.”

Steve blinked a couple of times, while Romy’s sentence sunk in. He’d never ignore her. “We’d never ignore you.”

“That’s sweet that you think that.” She patted his leg. “You ignore me and my opinion all the time, case in point today. You went into a wildfire despite having radiation poisoning. You ignored the whole conversation we’ve had about you taking it easier, hence why you were recruiting Tani.”

“I...” Shit, she was right. “I’m sorry,” Steve said defeated.

“It’s ok. I get that this is your job and certain things need to happen despite what I think about that. But I also know my limits, and you and Danny ignoring my advice on something where I definitely know more than you both, just because you two are pigheaded. I couldn’t deal with it and it would affect this.” She motioned between the two of them, implying their relationship. “This is where I draw the line.”

“It’s where I draw the line too.”

“Good” Romy smiled, plucking the piece of paper out of his hand. “So while I’m not going to be involved. This will affect our finances.”

“Talk to me.” Steve used her proximity to pull her out of the chair, and settled them both in it.

“Nahele’s college tuition remains untouched” Steve nodded at that. “As well as our retirement funds.”

Romy bit her lip “We’re trying for a baby?”

“I know that” Steve answered her question, squeezing her hip.

“I want to stay home for a couple of months and well American maternity leave sucks something fierce. So, we’d be down to one wage for about a year approximately. For our way of life not to change too much, we need to liquidate some of that stock you’ve got.”

“We’ve got.”

“So that would give you,” she pointed to a figure on the pad “the contribution to the restaurant.”

“You sure?” That was a lot of money.

“To do it right you guys need a serious amount of cash, and the place Danny got is amazing. IT could work, but..”

“But” Steve prompted her.

“But that’s it. No more money goes into that place unless it starts turning a profit. If you guys cant pull it off with this and whatever Danny is putting in. Then it wasn’t meant to be.”

“You are one hell of a negotiator.” Steve stared at her for a moment, was she that in meetings, dressed in her usual business outfits and heels. God, he was glad he was not working with her. He’d be bending her over her desk every chance he’d got. She was so fucking sexy.”

“Steve!” Romy scolded, she could see how his eyes glazed over. She pushed her glasses up her nose. “I mean it! Restaurants can be bottomless pits for money. I won't let that happen. This is the budget and not a penny more until it turns a profit.”

“You’ve got a deal.” Steve agreed, his voice low. With a surprise move, he lifted her off his lap and onto the desk, making Romy squeak in surprise. He rolled the chair closer so that he’d be right between her legs. “When’s Nahele coming home?” He asked as he pushed his hands underneath her top, caressing the soft skin across her tummy and waist. Grinning at the goosebumps that he left in his wake.

“Ahem” Romy looked at her watch “Half an hour I think?” Her sentence ending in a moan as his fingers slipped down the waistband of her yoga pants, teasing her mound.

“Good” Steve stood up, making the chair crash into the wall, and his lips crashed onto her lips. his tongue licking along her bottom lip, teasing her mouth open, entangling with her tongue in a heated kiss. Romy’s legs wound themselves around his waist, pulling him right against her hot core. “Fuck” he groaned, he could feel himself hardening. There were way too many clothes separating them. He needed to feel her. Romy had the same thoughts as him, as she wriggled out of her bra, leaving her top in place and started pull at his trousers, all the while her hips grounding against his.

Steve wrenched his lips off Romy’s. Her hair was a mess, her lips swollen and her pupils dilated. He did that. It made something primal in him preen - seeing her so wanton. No one else got to see her like this.

Romy didn’t give him any more time to internally gloat as her hand closed around his dick, pumping him slowly. All thoughts went out of his mind as his head fell back in sheer pleasure.

“I need you to fuck me.” She whispered harshly, her mouth on his neck. He could feel her teeth nipping against his throat.

“Oh yeah?” He asked, raising an eyebrow at her blatant demand.

“Yes. Hard and fast. Over this desk.” He swore he could see a blush starting to creep up her neck. God how could she say something that dirty and then start to blush. His wife was a woman full of contradictions.

While Steve was processing her demand, Romy spurred into action. She needed to feel him, to fill her up, to fuck her. She kissed him downright dirtily, all teeth and tongue, which pulled him out of his little stupor her request put him in. Romy couldn’t wait though, she shimmied her yoga pants and underwear down, after she unceremoniously tugged Steves trousers down and freed his erection of the confines of his boxers. She turned around and pressed her front to his back, writhing against him. Her hands pinching her nipples, making her buck her hips faster. She could feel how turned on she was, she was so wet. Romy was sure she was starting to coat her inner tights. Fuck if he didn’t get a move on soon, she’d take matters into her own hands. “Steve” she whined. “Please, you promised to never make me beg.”

Suddenly his hands were on her hips, one making its way up to replace her own on her breasts while the other dipped low. Swirling her wetness around her labia, teasing but never quite reaching her clit.

“But if you do, you beg so nicely.” His voice was gravelly against her ear. His five o’clock shadow rubbing her neck. Steve pushed one leg between hers, adding to the friction of his fingers. “Oh god yes!” Romy’s head fell forward and Steve used the momentum to push her top half across the desk. The picture she gave was tantalising, he wanted to commit it to his memory. Her ass in the air, her hair tumbling over her shoulder as she looked back at him, biting her bottom lip. He smacked one of her butt cheeks lightly, making her moan. “Still the cutest butt out there.” He whispered in her ear, folding his chest against her back, making Romy giggle. It turned into a moan the next second, as Steve slid inside of her. She scrunched her eyes shut, the pleasure of feeling him stretch just right almost overwhelming. She was tighter this way, and her movement completely restricted by Steve and the desk, but god she felt everything as he eased out of her again, only to slide back in. He hit a particularly sensitive spot on his third pump and let out a cross between a mewl and a groan, it made her see stars. Romy could feel Steve grin into her shoulder, at her reaction, and usually, she’d call him out for being smug but fuck he earned it, especially as he kept hitting that spot over and over again. She tried to find purchase on the desk, throwing papers, pens and paperweight down in her search. Her fingers curled around the edge of the desk when Steve’s fingers started to tap on her clit. “Steve! God!” Her man just knew how to play her, and fuck she’d let him. Her orgasm seemed so close when he suddenly removed his finger from her clit. “Wha-?” She threw a dirty look over her shoulder, seeing him smirk wolfishly at her.

“You wanna cum?” He had the audacity to ask her the question and expecting an answer while he turned her brain to mush?

“Don’t make me hurt you, McGarrett.” Her voice much more breathless than Romy would have liked, but she squeezed her inner muscles around him. Watching his face go slack and his rhythm falter, making her raise her eyebrows at him in a challenge. Two could play this game.

“I love you!” He kissed her shoulder, moving his lips to her spine, Romy could feel his tongue tasting her skin. Making her hate the position she was in for a millisecond, she hadn’t had her mouth on him enough. But that thought was blown out of her mind, the moment his fingers continued the tapping motion and then all of a sudden, then all of a sudden the pressure was back like he’d never stopped touching her clit and she could feel herself growing hotter, her muscle tensing and her breath stopped. She came down from her high, feeling him pepper soft kisses against her back, his fingers carding through her hair. “You ok?”

“Mmhmm” she smiled up lazily at him, the aftershocks still trembling through her, she could feel her inner walls contracting around him. His hands coming to her hips, pushing her down a bit more against the desk, as he rutted into her. She could feel his legs shaking against hers, he was close. Her hands reaching back, trying to find purchase with him, pulling him tighter against her. Her fingers grasping his ass, her nails digging in and he was losing his rhythm. “Fuck Romy!” Two, three short snaps of his hips and he came inside. She could feel his cum mixing with her wetness, dripping onto her thighs. Steve was still coming, Romy turned her head to watch him. His head thrown back, his face etched with pure pleasure, she could feel his fingers digging into her hips. “Fuck.” Steve murmured as he collapsed on top of her completely spent.

“Fuck indeed.” Romy giggled. She felt him pull out slowly and then everything was all limbs half stuck clothes and losing balance, she landed on top of him on the floor, making them both giggle, at the absurdity of them collapsing off a desk.

“I love you.” Romy returned his declaration from earlier one, pressing a solid kiss to Steve’s lips. “But let’s move this to the bedroom before we scare Nahele for life.”

They had just closed their bedroom door behind them when the front door got unlocked. “Dad! Mom!” A cling of keys hitting the bowl. “I’m home.”

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

The doorbell rang, while Steve and Romy were sipping on their second cup of coffee in the morning. Nahele was still sleeping, seriously making the most of his school holidays.

Steve pressed his lips to Romy’s hairline on his way to the front door. “Don’t you dare eat my part of the waffle?” Prompting his wife to stuck her tongue out to him.

“Commander McGarrett?” A young man still fully dressed in Navy uniform stood on their doorstep.

Steve took a step back “Yes.” The man stood at attention, his back rimrock straight, like you should when you’re addressing a senior officer.

“Special Operator 2nd Class Junior Reigns. It's an honor to meet you, sir.”

“Nice to meet you, Junior. Please relax. I'm” Steve took a sip of his coffee. “uh I'm not on the team anymore. What can I do for you?”

“Uh, my Master Chief David Lange always spoke very highly of you.”

Steve chuckled, he had not heard that name in quite some time “David Lange?

“Yeah.”

“He's your master chief? He was my dive buddy.”

“He mentioned that. He says you're the best.”

“Well, don't believe everything David Lange says. When you headed back downrange?”

“Actually, sir, I just processed out.”

“Out of the Navy?” Steve’s voice got high at the end, making Romy poke her head into the living room.

“Steve everything alright?” She shouted at the same time, Junior answered with a chuckle “Yes, sir.”

“Junior, my wife Romy.”

Romy shook the young man's hand while slinging her arm around Steve’s waist “Nice to meet you.”

“Nice to meet you, ma’am. Well, It's a long story.” He answered Steve questioning gaze to him being processed out.

“I bet it is. When'd you get back from the sandbox?”

“Two hours ago.”

That raised both McGarrett’s eyebrows and they shared a look. Why would junior come here and not see his family? Steve cleared his throat “I see. Well, Special Operator 2nd Class Junior Reigns, I gotta say, I'm intrigued as to why you're standing on our porch this morning.”

“Well, I heard about the task force you run and, you know, the type of work you do, and well, to tell you the truth, I need a job.”

“I gotta say, I appreciate the initiative I see here this morning, but, uh, unfortunately, you know, I'm just not hiring right now. But listen, man, I mean, if you if you're open to other work, I can make some calls. I'd be happy to.”

They listened to Junior making his case, about not wanting to work anywhere else, but with Steve. His plea was interrupted as usual in the McGarrett Household by Steve’s phone.

“Yeah, I'll be right there.” Steve cut the call short. “I’m sorry Junior, but I’ve got to go.”

“Sure, sure. Of course. It was nice meeting you, ma’am. Commander McGarrett.”

“He seems nice,” Romy commented as Junior had gotten into his car.

“Yeah.” He looked at his phone, pinging with more details. “Talk about this when I get home?”

“Sure.” Romy took his half-drunken cup of coffee and kissed him. “Be safe.”

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

“Hey, Steve.” Romy picked up her phone. Her hand covering her mouth in shock as she listened to him. “Of course, I’m on my way.”

Romy made it to the clinic in record time, her last name getting her right into the front of the operating room. Jerry was standing in front of the window.

“Hey, Jerry.” She squeezed his arm. “Steve told me to relieve you. He needs you back in the palace.”

“Oh, ok.” He shook his head. “They...they were asking for his owner a moment ago. I didn't....”

“It’s ok,” Romy responded. “I’ll handle it.”

Jerry hadn’t left for more than 5 minutes when a nurse came over to her. “You’re the owner?”

“No, his owner...he died this morning.” Romy looked over to her, seeing the paperwork the woman was holding. “I guess...” she remembered Steve’s voice, telling her how he found him, how he held him, pressed down on his wound. “I guess, my husband and I are his foster parents.” She chuckled a little at that. “You got stuff for me to sign?” She held out her hand for the paperwork.

“Thanks. It has is medical history as well.” The nurse added, before leaving Romy alone again.

Romy glanced over the information, signing were little sticky notes indicated, her eyes bugged as she read Eddie’s history. 6 years old, 2 years in Afghanistan special ops war dog and 3 years in the DEA. He didn’t deserve this. Didn’t deserve his owner like this, didn’t deserve to survive all that just to be shot.

She took a picture of the medical history and send it to her group chat with Kono and Renee. The reactions from her girls echoed hers.

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

Romy raced to the front door when she heard Steve’s truck pull into the driveway. She wrenched the door open, startling Steve to almost pull his gun.

“You ok, gorgeous?” Romy was acting shifty.

“Before you go in,” she said nervously, her nails starting to pick at her skin. “I need to tell you something.”

“Ok.” He watched her amused, she wasn’t usually that nervous. Something big must have happened. He reached for her hand though, making her stop peeling off her skin.

“You know how you send me to look over Eddie and how he pulled through the surgery.”

“Yes.” He had the updates from Jerry.

“So, he was cleared to go home, if there was someone to look after him. Otherwise, he would have needed to stay.”

Oh boy!

“And Steve, if you’d have seen that place. I mean it was a perfectly fine clinic. But he’d be in a freaking cage, and they only have one nurse to look after all these animals. He just lost his Dad...”

Steve grinned at her “You brought him home, didn’t you?” He pushed the door open behind her. Romy shrugged her shoulders in defeat. She followed him inside.

Eddie was laying in a dog bed, placed right in front of the lanai door so that it was in the sun without being in the direct sunlight. Nahele sat before him, Eddie’s head cushioned on his leg, his son petting the dog’s head, talking to him softly.

“You said you didn’t want a dog.” Steve pulled Romy to his front, slinging his arm on around her hips. His chin sitting on her shoulder.

Romy turned to him, pecking his temple. “Did you read Eddie’s medical history? Special Ops war dog with distinction in Afghanistan, then he comes home and continues to fight the bad guys.” She stopped for a moment to watch her son and Eddie forming a bond. “He’s you in dog form. How could I not want him.”

Steve shook his head at the comparison.

“Foster parents at first, but we’ll see how it goes...And look at them...they fell in love with each other at first sight.” Romy nodded over to Nahele and Eddie.

 ——xx——xx—— 

Romy woke up to a soft whine, lifting her sleep mask she squinted over to Steve. Did he have another nightmare?

No.

Her husband was sleeping peacefully, their legs tangled and her head halfway cushioned on his chest. He didn’t even twitch. Maybe she imagined it, but now there it was again. Romy rolled out of bed and padded over to the door. She almost fell over something blocking the doorway.

Eddie.

He had somehow shuffled his way up the stairs, dragging the blanket Steve covered him with, with him.

“Hey, sweetheart.” Romy sunk onto her knees, grasping his face between her hands. “Can’t sleep?” Getting another whine from Eddie. “Did you have a nightmare?” She shifted around so Eddie could lie more comfortable on her. “You’ve heard Steve. No dog in the bedroom. so, that’s as far as we can go.”

Eddie burrowed his face into her hand and leg. “I know sometimes he isn’t fair.” Her hand scratching along his back, careful to avoid the bandage. “Tell me, bud. Why can’t you sleep? Is it your bed? I know it takes a while to get used to it. I used to travel a lot and the first couple of nights were always hard. Or are you missing your Dad?” Eddie whined again. “It’s ok to miss him. You went through a lot together. It wasn’t fair to lose him like this. But it wasn’t your fault though, buddy. I need you to know this. I’m sure he’d wanted you to know this, too.” Her hands never stopped petting him. “He’d want you to be happy. To find another home. Maybe retire? Live out your years with tons of treats and no guns? What do you think? Does that sound good?” She could have sworn the side-eye Eddie gave her, called her ridiculous for even suggesting it. “You’re just like Steve, huh. He’s stubborn too, and would never consider hanging up his shield. Even if he just got shot. You know, we’ll keep you as long as it takes to find you the perfect fit. You have the sea here to swim in, and Nahele will spoil you rotten, and whenever you’re ready to go back to work, we’ll find you someone good. Believe me, I’ll have Steve vet them and their entire unit before we hand you over. You’re part of the O’hana now”

“You gonna come back to bed anytime soon, gorgeous?”

Romy startled at his voice behind her, Steve leaned against the door frame looking down at her and Eddie. She shook her head. “Nah I think I’m gonna stay here. Make sure he sleeps a little.”

“You’re back is going to kill you tomorrow.” Steve bend down and lifted her off the floor.

“Steve” Romy tightened her arms around his neck “What about Eddie? What if he has a nightmare again.”

“Hold on.” He kissed her cheek and deposited her on the bed, he was back a minute later, gently carrying Eddie and setting him down on the foot of their bed, covering him with the blanket again.

“You said dogs don’t belong in people’s beds.” Romy snuggled closer to him, her head finding her spot on his chest. Steve’s fingers trailing through her hair, as he said. “Well, Eddie isn’t a dog. He’s O’hana.”

He watched her eyes drooping and not even 5 minutes later, his gaze wandered down to the end of the bed. The brown Labrador had his eyes trained on Romy’s sleeping form.

Steve sighed, and his hand finding its way into Eddie’s fur on its own. “I get it” he whispered softly. “I can’t stop looking at her either. You know, she’s the only one I wants by my side, too.” God, now he was confiding into a dog. Eddie bopped his hand, reminding him not to stop his ministrations. “Romy is special. She’s the only one I trust with everything, and once she loves you. She loves you fiercely and won’t stop. Doesn’t matter what you do...and believe me, I did some pretty stupid things since we got together, she’ll never leave you. I guess you already figured that one out” he chuckled. “You know, there is nobody else I want to have by my side when everything turns to shit, cause I know I can handle anything, as long as she’s here. As long as she falls asleep beside me every night.” Steve swallows “So what I’m trying to say, Eddie, is the both of us can count ourselves extremely lucky that she found us, that she choose us. Damaged goods and all.”

“You’re not damaged goods,” Romy murmured into his skin. “You’re perfect. Just like he is.”

Steve and Eddie shared a look. ‘See I told you. Perfect.’ Steve mouthed to the dog, who buried underneath his blanket. The one Romy’s grandma made for every new addition of the family.

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

“No way!” Romy crossed her arms and stood protectively in front of Eddie.

“Romy, please!” Steve groaned. “This is what he was trained for.”

“He’s healing from a gunshot wound, Steve. You, I might not be able to stop from doing reckless shit, but him” she pointed down at Eddie. “Him I can.”

“We need him.”

“There are other dogs in the DEA, dogs who didn’t have surgery yesterday.”

“Maybe, but Eddie deserves to be there. We’re taking down the people who killed Agent Latino.” Eddie barked at the name, making Steve grin. “He deserves to be there.”

Romy pursed her lips, she was not happy about this. “Come on, Eddie. Time to take down some bad guys.” Steve clapped on his thighs to get his attention, and Eddie scrambled up from his laying position and hopped over to Steve. “Traitor.”

Romy mumbled, making Steve laugh. “Good boy.” He scratched Eddie behind his ears.

“If there is even one hair out of place when you two are coming home tonight. There’ll be hell to pay, Commander McGarrett.” Romy stabbed her finger in his chest, punctuating every word.

“I take good care of him.”

“You better.”

Steve leaned down to kiss her. “I promise.”

“Be careful.” She looked up at him, before bending down and pressing a kiss on Eddie’s nose. “Both of you.”

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

The raid had been a success, not only did they grab $2million worse of cocaine, but also Eddie managed to corner in the rogue DEA agent and save Lou’s life in one big swoop. Converting Lou forever into an Eddie person.

They attended Agent Lazio’s funeral, brought Eddie for his check-ups and adjusted to have a fourth in the house. Steve managed to talk Junior into taking the more conventional route to law enforcement and got him enrolled into the Academy. Well, Romy called it blackmail, but hey, he got his way, so who cares. It all came crashing down when Adam appeared on their doorstep the following Saturday. Nahele was playing with Eddie in the garden, hopping into the sea every once in a while. Romy watched him chasing the dog around, throwing one of the thousands of toys that had started to appear in their house almost overnight. She knew what he was telling Steve, she had an inkling after Kono started to act shifty in their FaceTime calls, but it was still a shock. Her face matched Danny’s when they told him later that day. He sat on the counter next to Romy munching on an apple, while they watched Steve cut up a roast chicken for lunch.

“You like this dog, huh?”

“What?” Steve turned around from chopping up the meat.

“ I said you like this dog,” Danny repeated his earlier statement.

“Yeah, he's a nice dog.” Steve agreed. Romy snorted while sipping from her drink like might be a bit of an understatement for anyone in this family.

“No, what I mean is you have an attachment to this dog. Which is dangerous because the dog is gonna have a new home soon, right?”

“That's right. That's right, Danny.” Not if Romy could help it. “And, for the record, I'm not attached.”

Yeah, Steve try to sell it somewhere else.

“Oh, no? No. Oh, okay, 'cause you-you're chopping free-range chicken - Mm-hmm. - for the dog, and you're about to put it in your favorite cereal bowl.” Leave it to Danny to point out the obvious.

Steve shrugged, not caring that he got caught “What am I gonna do, cook two meals? He eats what we eat.”

“Okay. All right. I thought you were a cat guy.” Romy leaned back watching them go at it discussing cats and dogs.

“Was there a reason you called me over here? 'Cause I have lots of things to do.” “Thank you,” Romy said relieved, she could only handle so much of their bickering. “Adam Noshimuri came to visit us this morning. I guess, uh, Kono's case has gone federal. The FBI want her to stick around, see it through to the end.”

“So, what does that mean?” Danny tried to wrap his head around what this could mean. “When is she coming back?”

“Not any time soon,” Romy commented sadly, Steve sent her an encouraging smile. “Adam's flying out tomorrow to be with her.” He directed at Danny.

“Wow. Things are changing, huh?” Danny squeezed Romy to her, he could feel she needed the hug as much as he did.

“Yes, they are.” She mumbled into his shoulder.

“Mom! Dad!” Nahele shouted, stumbling into the kitchen.

“‘Hele. What is it?” Steve steadied his son before he fell over his own feet.

“Eddie. I can’t find him.”

“Take a breath, kiddo.” Steve forced him to match his breathing with him. “What happened?”

“We were playing outside, and I threw the ball and suddenly he wasn’t next to me anymore. I checked the garden and the ocean.” Nahele was rushed through his explanation.

“We’ll find him, Nahele.” Romy hopped down from the counter, ruffling her son's hair.

They turned the whole house upside down, but Eddie was nowhere to be found. “I think I’ve got an idea.” Steve grabbed his car keys. “Let’s go.”

They found Eddie laying on Agent Lazio’s grave. The three dropped onto the ground next to the dog. Romy’s leg making a v around Eddie and Nahele sitting opposite him, their hands stroking his fur.

“You want to keep him don’t you?” Steve whispered into Romy’s ear, as he settled behind her.

“Of course we keep him. What is that even for a question?” Romy didn’t even look up from stroking Eddie’s fur.

Steve slid his arm under her knees and dragged her together with Eddie over into his lap. His answer is a deep and thorough open-mouthed kiss that caused her toes to curl and one of her hands to slip away from Eddie to the back of his neck to steady herself. Steve pulled away  breathlessly "Deal." His hand finding hers behind Eddie’s ear.

“You get used to the gross public display of affection after a while. I promise, bud.” Nahele whispered into Eddie’s fur.

Chapter 45: Buckets of Mercy

Summary:

Summary: Saying hello and goodbye to some new and old face

Warnings: Minor character death

Episode: Season 8 - 3 & 4

Notes:

Hello lovelies, 

How are you all. Sorry I’m one day late, life’s been a bit crazy the last week. Please enjoy this little slice of Steve and Romy, with a pinch of Tani Rey.

Enjoy xx 

Chapter Text

 

“Harry? Harry Langford!” Romy exclaimed as she got out of her car. The man in question turned around a big smile on his face.

“Romy!” He ate the distance between them in 3 steps and lifted her hand to kiss the back with an elaborate bow. “I was hoping our paths would cross again.”

Romy laughed “What brings you to”, she frowned “the front steps of my house?”

“Well your husband invited us”, he motioned behind him and a truly stunning woman stepped forward. Harry made quick introductions, without letting go of Romy’s hand while his other arm wound around Veronique’s waist, “To test out the menu for the restaurant they’re planning.”

“Let me guess it’s not going too well.”

“If you mean we waited for an hour for our starters, that somehow did not materialise - you’re correct. I heard something about melting porcelain…I do hope you have good insurance.”

“Oh gosh!” Romy groaned out.

“If that venture is what you’re banking on, I’d recommend a very swift divorce…and you can always come travelling with us.”

“I thought you were going to find somewhere else to eat?” Steve’s voice cut through the evening. “Hey, you.” He came to stand next to Romy, kissing her hello.

“Where are you planning to salvage your evening?” She turned away from Steve and back to Harry.

“A little local spot, with delicious seafood offerings.” She needed to hide her smile behind her hand, that was one way to describe Kamekona’s. “You fancy joining us there?”

Romy looked down at her watch, she had 15 minutes before she needed to leave again to pick up Nahele. “Why don’t I meet you all there?”

Steve followed her upstairs after Harry and his lady friend had left them for the Kamekona’s. “No comment from you?” He asked as he watched her stepping out of her structured shift dress and headed into the bathroom.

“Honestly Schnuffi, I had a shit day. Coming home to our kitchen being destroyed and you and Danny arguing. Now I’ve got 15 minutes before I promised to pick up Nahele and I haven’t eaten anything yet. I just want a moment to not think and not talk. Is that ok with you?”

Steve’s eyebrows rose at her sniping tone “Ok!” He held up his hands in defence and backed out of the bathrooms.

“Ugh.” Romy’s head hit the dark green tiles of the shower, this day sucked. She didn’t mean to snap at Steve. But honestly, the only thing she had wanted tonight was curling up with Eddie on the swing and coerce Steve into playing the guitar for her, while sipping on the largest glass of wine she could find. Her phone alarm going off, made her shake her head and get a move on - quickly slapping on tinted moisturiser and a red lip, tugging on a comfy jeans dress, she called out to Eddie and both headed back out.

 

——xx——xx——

 

“Hey, Mama!” Nahele hopped into her car. “Eddie! Hey, bud.” He turned around in his seat giving Eddie a good scratch behind the ears.

“Dinner at Kamekonas tonight. You good with that?” Romy reversed out of the driveway.

“Sure.” He shrugged as a response. “You guys didn’t wait on me, did you?”

“No” she smiled, trying to get the tension out of her jaw. “I only came home half an hour ago and your Dad and Danny kinda exploded the kitchen during a test run for McDanno’s”

She saw how Nahele pressed his lips together trying not to laugh. He was about to open his mouth, with what she guessed would be a lot of teasing.

“I don’t want to talk about it.” She squeezed his arm, taking the sting out of her words. “Tell me about your day.”

“Well, I got a new PB today, so that was awesome. Some of the girls on the team were swooning over Eddie’s pictures. So, for our next meet, I need you to bring him.” Nahele grinned and giggled when Eddie, hearing his name, scooted forward and rested his head on Nahele’s shoulder, bopping his nose against the teenager's cheek. “Eddie totally agrees.”

“You want to use our dog as a wingman?” Romy took her eyes of the red traffic light, watching Nahele and Eddie hitting her with puppy dog eyes. “Sure! Whatever.” Romy laughed at their antics.

“Yes!” Nahele cheered. Holding out his hand to Eddie “High Five, buddy!” Cheering once more when the paw hit his hand squarely.

While Nahele rushed over to the truck, Eddie waited patiently next to the car for Romy to get her bag. “You’re a good boy, aren’t you?” She patted his head and then nodded at him, giving him the go-ahead to race off. Romy smiled, watching Eddie make a beeline behind Nahele greeting Steve first, bumping into Danny and Kamekona before he settled down next to Steve.

“You two know I love you guys, right? Take a good look, my friends. That's called... customer satisfaction. Maybe a while before you guys see that again.”

Romy managed to catch the last two sentences from Kamekona as she walked over to them.

“He is right you know.” She teased, snuggling into Steve’s side.

Getting a groan from Danny “And on that supportive note, I’m leaving.”

“To clean up my kitchen, I hope!” Romy shouted at his retreating back, receiving a stretched middle finger as her answer.

——xx——xx——

The three of them settled on a table furthest away from Harry and Veronique to not disturb their date even more than they already had.

After they finished dinner, Nahele had disappeared chatting to one of his friends who also worked at the shrimp truck. Steve pulled Romy’s legs over his lap massaging her legs. Eddie sat under the table, still hoping for some scraps, his snoot resting on Romy’s lap.

“For someone who didn’t want a dog, you’re spoiling him a lot,” Steve remarked with a smile.

His wife shrugged, a blush covering her cheeks at being called out. “Like you’re any better. Don’t think I didn’t notice the new chew toy that made an appearance yesterday.” Romy poked him in the side. She traced her finger along the watermark her beer bottle left on the table. “I’m sorry about earlier.”

“You’re allowed to snap at me when you’re mad, gorgeous.”

She sighed, her hand covering his. “Yeah, but I wasn’t mad at you.”

“Something happened at work?” Steve looked her over. Romy did look tired. Tired and stressed. She held all her tension in her jaw. He pressed his knuckles gently into her cheek trying to loosen the muscles for her.

“Nothing specific, just little things that were adding up.” She shrugged, curling her fingers around his. Looking down at their joined hands, she loved his hands. Loved how well they hold her, how strong they were. How they could be lethal at firing a weapon, but oh so soft and gentle when they touched her. With a deep breath Romy’s head sunk against his shoulder, shuffling close, wanting to forget the day.

“What are you thinking?” Steve’s voice pulled Romy out of her thoughts.

She pressed her lips against the skin right above his shirt collar. “No matter how shit my day has been, this” she squeezed his hand “makes it better, every single time.”

“Yeah,” Steve mumbled, “I think so too.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy threw Steve one of the towels from the Adirondack chairs “You alright there Steve?” she asked over her shoulder. “You were kinda slow this morning.” She wrapped the towel around her body.

“Well, I’m sorry Mrs McGarrett” he stepped right into her personal space, his fingers tracing along the strap of her bikini top, letting it snap against her wet skin “you were very distracting this morning.”

She giggled at his low voice and eyes that traced water drops that run along the valley of her breasts. “New suit.” Romy shrugged innocently.

Steve pulled her in close, his lips ghosting over hers “I like very much!”

“Dad, are you coming or what?” Nahele shouted from the lanai. He was dressed in his running gear, ready to go.

“Better get going, McGarrett.” Romy slapped his butt cheekily.

“To be continued,” Steve growled at her, catching her lips in a rough kiss. He threw her wink as he jogged over to Nahele, leaving Romy gaping after him.

“Your Dad is way too cocky sometimes, you know that Eddie?” Romy rubbed the dog with Steve’s discarded towel. “Come on bud, let’s get you some breakfast.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

This was supposed to be an easy day! A day on which he would buy an oven for his restaurant and go home early to spend some quality time with his family. He was not supposed to witness Toast’s murder over the phone, he was not supposed to transfer Aaron Wright out of prison into a luxury hotel, his C.I. Database was not supposed to be hacked. Junior’s reminder of the SEAL motto stayed with him, haunting him, daunting him. The only easy day was yesterday. Hooyah!

Yesterday, he didn’t need to carry his son out of a burning truck, his son wasn’t loaded into an ambulance yesterday either. And yesterday he didn't need to call Romy to tell her all that.

Yesterday was easy.

His thumb hovered over the call button, he was not ready. Steve took another deep breath and finally pressed the button. He couldn’t remember much from the call after he hung up. The way her voice faltered, the fear that crept through. And then she was in his arms, barrelling through the ER doors, heels in hand, she slammed right into him.

“Talk to me!” Her breathless demand.

“They...they are treating him right now. Someone hacked into our system and killed Toast and kidnapped Kamekona. They torched the truck and locked Nahele inside.” Steve blurted it right out.

“Oh God!” Romy let out. “Are you ok?” Her thumbs rubbing over his cheeks.

“Yeah.” Steve held her a little tighter.

“Mr and Mrs McGarrett?” A nurse approached them. “You want to go and see your son?” She guided them over to a private examination room. “A doctor will be with you shortly.”

“Thanks.” Steve’s hand pressed into Romy’s lower back, moving them both into Nahele’s room.

“Hey, kiddo.”

“Dad! Mama!” Nahele coughed a bit. He couldn’t get more out, as he was engulfed by Romy’s arms.

“Thank god.” Her hands on his face, cataloguing every scrap and wound. “Don’t you ever do something like that to me again? It’s enough that I worry about your Dad.”

“Hey!” Steve scoffed at that, trying to lighten the mood.

“Not like I choose to be barbecued alive, Mama.”

“Ugh!” Romy let out and wrapped her arms tightly around Nahele again. “Smartass.”

“Come on, love. Let him breathe.” Steve extracted Nahele out of Romy’s koala hold carefully.

“Thank you, Dad.” Nahele’s voice was quiet, and they knew he meant for more than freeing him out of Romy’s arms.

“Anything for you, son.” Steve rested his head against Nahele’s. His hair still smelling of smoke and gasoline, but god at that moment, that smell meant everything to Steve. His phone chirped minutes later, interrupting Romy’s fussing over Nahele.

“You got to go?” The teenager asked from the hospital bed.

“The team can handle it.” Steve squeezed his shoulder.

“Dad, please! The team is two people, and one of them is new. You need to find Kamekona.”

“Nahele...I....”

“I need you to find Kamekona. Please Dad!” Nahele pleaded again. Steve looked over to Romy, unsure what to do. He wanted to be here, he needed to be here, to make sure that his son was fine. That he was breathing.

“Go. Bring Kamekona back.” Romy returned his questioning gaze with an encouraging nod.

“I want an update every 30 minutes.” He demanded from both of them, a kiss on Nahele’s forehead and one on Romy’s lips and he was out of the door. Never had he felt more ripped up over his job.

——xx——xx——

To top off his day, Aaron Wright decided to play them all, Tani got shot in the chest in the process of Wright escaping. Thank god for bulletproof vests. He started to threaten blind hackers, which at least they had gotten a lead.

Joey Kang.

He was involved with ICE and did 6 years of hard time and Kamekona used to run with him before he turned to be a CI. That was what it's all about? Revenge! Well, they could have revenge if they wanted to.

——xx——xx——

“All right, Mr Kang. Remember, four weeks ago, there was a big wildfire?” Steve asked as he watched SWAT raid the auto shop around them. He found what he was looking for, a canister full of petrol. “Almost took out half the island. You remember that?” He started to pour out the petrol over the cars, his eyes never leaving Kang senior. “

“You can't do this!” Kang shouted, “I already told you, I don't know where my son is.” “Yeah well. I know where my son is. He is in the hospital right now recovering from being in a burning truck. A truck your son lit up.”

“I know nothing about this.”

“The psycho that started that aforementioned fire... He actually taught me something. Want to know what it was?” Steve found a gas bottle and pushed it right next to Mr Kang, dousing it in petrol. “That he taught me?”

“Are you nuts?”

“There's one thing in this world... more than anything else that can scare the truth out of someone. You gonna guess what that is?” Steve saw Tani’s face as he flipped over a bucket and placed the phone on it. Danny would kill him if she quit after one of his antics, but he didn’t care. He would set this whole building on fire, he would do it gladly, to get his answers. No one hurts his boy and gets away with it. “Now, I understand he's your boy, you love him, you're gonna do whatever you have to do to protect your family, but I'm gonna do whatever I have to do to protect mine. Get Joey on the phone, Mr Kang.” Steve lit his lighter “You have three seconds.”

He watched as Mr Kang walked carefully over to the phone and dialled, as he hung up he nodded at Steve. “I’m sorry about your boy.”

Steve threw the lighter at the old man and stalked out of the auto shop, Tani and Lou hot on his heels.

“Is he always like this?” He could hear Tani whisper to Lou.

“Oh yeah - welcome to the family, kid.” Lou’s Chicagoan twang making him smile, but not as much as the text he got a second later.

‘On our way home. Light smoke inhalation and concussion protocol. Love you xx’

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy was sure she never held onto Steve as tightly as she did when he came home that day. Nahele was comfortable laying on the sofa with Eddie draped over him. Safe and Sound.

Her fingers were clawing in his shirt, bringing him closer to her. “We got him. Kamekona is safe, gorgeous, and Kang is in custody.”

“Don’t let go yet.” She murmured as she felt his embrace loosen a bit.

“Ok.” Steve grasped her butt, prompting Romy to hop up and wind her legs around his waist. Steve walked them over to the sofa, plopping down next to Nahele.

“You good, kiddo?” He asked.

“Mom took away my phone.”

“It's concussion protocol, ‘Hele,” Romy said exasperatedly, they had this conversation already 4 times since coming home. “It’s 24hrs. You’re gonna survive 24hrs.”

Eddie turned over, effectively putting his bum in Nahele’s face so he could snuggle up closer to Romy, who was still sitting on Steve’s lap. “Traitor.” The teenager grumbled good naturally, as he watched the dog beg for attention from Romy.

“I know, Ed. I love you best too.” Romy pressed her face into the dog's fur.

“Hey!” Both Steve and Nahele protested.

“Ignore them, They’ll just need to learn how to share.” She laughed when Eddie barked in agreement.

——xx——xx——

Steve couldn’t sleep, the day was playing on his mind. Eddie lifted his head, as he extracted himself out of the bed. Steve needed to smile, seeing the dog snuggle back into the bed when he realised that Romy wasn’t leaving. For Eddie the sun rose and set with Romy, he never strayed far from her. He even accompanied her to work a couple of times, to the delight of Eddie and the dismay of Ani. “You keep an eye on her, ok bud?” Steve rubbed the dog’s back soothingly. He closed their bedroom door behind him and let his feet carry him to his destination. Quietly he pushed the armchair from the far side of the wall right next to Nahele’s bed. He watched his son’s chest move with his breath, relishing every single time it rose. Pressing his fingers against Nahele’s throat this afternoon, checking if he still had a pulse. Steve shivered even now, hours after the event, when he had the proof that he was fine. It had brought memories, memories that he’d rather not relive. Team guys that he carried out of the danger, the same way he did Nahele today. Freddie, his best mate, left behind in North Korea. He had lost so much, how did he end up here with a son and a wife and a dog? Steve almost snorted at himself, of course, the dog was the dealbreaker.

He never wanted to be reliving what happened today, the last time he had been that scared was when Madison Gray was loose in this house, he shuddered at the thought. Nahele was fine, well the wound where Kang’s men had knocked him out would leave a scar, and he couldn’t even fathom what kind of emotional scar the 24 hours of no phone would leave him with. Otherwise, though, he was fine. His hand inched forward, trying not to wake up Nahele, he grasped his hand. “I’ll always come for you, kiddo. Leaving a trail of fire in my wake. Nothing would ever stop me.” He sunk further in the armchair his eyes never straying away from Nahele, he finally succumbed to sleep in the early hours of the morning. He woke up, when his phone vibrated in the pocket of his sweats, luckily not waking up Nahele. He wasn’t alone anymore and a blanket tucked around him. Romy had made herself at home in the bed, Nahele’s head cushioned in her lap, Eddie laying protectively in front of it. He pulled out his phone, smiling at the screen. He had messages from Lou, Danny, Chin, Kono and even Mary - all checking in, wanting to know how their Keiki was.

 

——xx——xx——

 

The next day Romy was prepping dinner when Steve came in the kitchen pacing agitated in front of her. “Everything ok, Schnuffi?”

“I’m not too sure.”

“What is it?”

“I gave Junior a phone when I met him for lunch yesterday, but I’ve been trying to reach him for a while and no response.”

“Maybe he’s catching up with friends and hasn’t seen that you’ve been calling.” Romy stopped slicing tomatoes and caught his hand to stop his track around the kitchen.

“What did you do?”

“What?” Steve’s eyes were wide, full of innocence.

“I know you. What did you do?”

“I...ahem...I” Romy needed to bite her lip to stop the chuckle to escape, her brave, tough Navy Seal looked like a toddler caught with his fingers in the cookie jar. “I might have traced his phone.”

Of course, he did, Romy shook her head at him. Steve stepped behind her, his arms wounding around her waist and his chin rested on her shoulder. “I worry about him. He’s so single-mindedly focused on making the task force. Coming back - adjusting to civilian life. It's hard. Especially if you’ve been doing Special Ops. And it doesn’t sound like he’s got family or anyone close for that matter to talk to.”

Romy leaned back against him. “He’s got you.”

“I was so lucky when I got back. The chance with 5-0, the team, they all caught me, but even then I think it took me years...sometimes I think the adjustment period will never be over.”

“We’ve got you.” Romy’s fingers curled in his hair.

Steve burrowed his face in the crook of her neck, relishing in her fingernails scratching over his scalp. “My rock.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

Steve put the truck into park in the driveway and turned to Nahele and Romy “You both are sure about this?”

“Yes, Dad!” Nahele rolled his eyes at him, this was the 5th time he had asked the question. “Even Eddie agrees” making the dog bark.

“Go.” Romy agreed. With that final encouragement, Steve hopped out of the car and walked into the Downtown Oahu Mission.

——xx——xx——

Romy could spot their table in Tropics straight away, well any table with Kamekona and Flippa was hard to miss, especially with the battle wounds the former was spotting. She enveloped him in a massive hug, whispering into his ear, how glad she was that he was ok and back with them. Steve pried her off their friend and enveloped his friend in a honi. “Aloha.” He said quietly, his voice choked.

“Mahalo, brah.” Kamekona mirroring the same emotion in his voice.

Clearing his throat Steve watched as Nahele got hugs from everyone including Noelani and settled down with Eddie at the far end of the table. “Everybody, this is, uh...” he pulled Junior forward “this is my buddy, Junior. All right? He's gonna be staying with us for a little while, so... just make him feel at home, okay?”

Romy’s arm wound around his waist, as they watched Junior being greeted by their friends. All of them turned to the stage where Jerry grabbed the microphone a few minutes later “Uh, sometimes in life, you meet someone who's... a kindred spirit. Someone that you can laugh with, sometimes at. And when you have that, you should hold on to them and cherish your time together. 'Cause when they're gone, you lose a little bit of yourself. So, Toast, buddy...” he lifted his glass, smiling as he saw his O’hana doing the same “this is for you.”

“You fancy a dance Mrs Erhardt - McGarrett?” Steve bent down to Romy’s ear.

She smiled at him “Well, if you are asking me like this. How can I refuse.”

They made their way to the little dance floor, swaying to Jerry’s crooning voice.

“I see we’re missing Tani,” Romy said, her head resting against Steve's shoulder, as he rocked them gently to the beat.

“Lou tried but she didn’t want to come.”

“You heading over now or after you drove us home?” Her knowing smile, almost teasing.

Steve shrugged self consciously, how did she always know? “She had a shitty couple of days and I wasn’t really there for her.”

“One of the many reasons why I love you.” She quickly popped up on her toes to kiss the corner of his mouth, never missing a step in their dance.

‘I will bring you buckets of mercy, and put a smile back on your pretty face. I'll bring a shovel if you want it and carry your secret to my grave.’

 

——xx——xx——

 

Tani gnawed on her nail, unsure if she should knock or not. She could hear voices in the backyard, there was shouting and cheers - the sounds of a party. The words of McGarrett coming back into her mind ‘We all make mistakes. Learn from it. Lean on your teammates.’ She needed to chuckle to herself when she remembered the invite to this barbecue. ‘Romy wants you there. I want you there. So come - or give me a good excuse that would convince my German wife.’ In the end, she had asked Grover, what that meant, he had laughed at her outright and told her he would see her at the barbecue. So, here she was in front of McGarrett’s beautiful beachside home, wondering if she should knock or ring the doorbell. She hadn’t been this nervous in a very long time, maybe ever. She couldn’t even pinpoint why she was nervous. Was it because she’d be at her bosses house or that she would meet their families for the first time? She never was good with families.

“Hi!”

Tani whirled around at the happy voice behind her.

“Sorry - I didn't mean to startle you.” The woman smiled and shifted the paper bag of groceries, extending her hand. “You must be Tani. I’m Romy.”

This was not who she expected, not who she built up in her mind after the little tidbits she got from the team.

“Nice to meet you,” Tani responded, trying very hard not to stare too much.

“Has no one let you in?” Romy nodded to the closed door, she was still standing in front of.

“Ahem...” Fuck, how was she going to explain this? I was too chicken to ring the bell. Way to make a first impression.

“Unbelievable. I’m so sorry. They might all be in the garden and didn’t hear the bell. Let’s go straight in the backyard.” Romy nodded her head and Tani followed her to a side gate. She watched as Romy scanned her fingerprint on the lock and hip-checked the door open. Fuck - McGarrett was taken security seriously. Romy let her go through first and Tani followed the stone path for a few steps and stopped short when it opened onto the backyard.

“It’s beautiful isn’t it?” Romy came to stand next to her, surveying the scene in front of them herself. The lush grass, palm trees and exotic flowers, and let's not forget the private beach at the end of the garden. Now it was filled with people, some that Tani knew, like the 5-0 team and some she didn’t, plus an unexpected horde of kids and teenagers. It was mayhem. People were standing around in groups, barbecuing, playing with the kids, or mingling with drinks in hand.

“I still sometimes need to pinch myself that this is my home.” Romy laughed. Tani took a moment to look at the woman on her right a bit. She was a bit smaller than herself, she’d guess 5’4 or 5’5. Tani couldn’t picture her with Steve, her boss was all muscles and long legs and arms, Romy was soft and curvy. They shared the same kind of glint in their eyes though. “Let’s me show you around quickly” Romy pulled her out of her musings.

“Sure.” Tani followed Romy inside the house, pointing out the kitchen, bathroom and then send her off with a beer to mingle - refusing Tani’s offer to unload the groceries that Romy had in the bag.

Romy had changed when Tani saw her next, out of the dress and into jeans shorts and an oversized T-shirt, in her hand was a beer as well.

“You wanna see something funny.” Jerry leaned down to Tani. “Just watch.” He nodded over to McGarrett who was in a deep conversation with Lou. Like a magnet his eyes moved and zeroed in on his wife, Tani could see that he was only half-listening to Lou now, and made a quick excuse leaving his friend standing at the bbq on his own. He ate the distance between him and Romy fast and came to stand in front of her, kissing her a touch too inappropriately for the number of people in his current backyard. Eliciting some wolf-whistles from Lou and grumbling from Danny. The two of them separated, but Steve had not yet let go of her. They were talking softly, smiles on their faces, their attention completely on the person in front of them.

Tani suddenly remembered what Danny told her, the evening he convinced her to join Five-0. That's the thing about Steve. He has the ability to show up in your life right when you need him. That's how it was for me. For Kono, Chin, Lou, Jerry. I can't explain it. Except for Romy. I think Romy came into Steve’s life exactly the moment he needed it.

At the time Tani thought, this was just another of those Kumbaya moments, this team seemed to love, but standing here, watching them all and seeing Romy and Steve together for the first time. She needed to agree and hell maybe she was one for Kumbaya around the fire after all.

“Like a freaking radar,” Jerry murmured again, nodding to the couple on the other side of the garden, who were now joined by Eddie dancing around their feet, making Tani chuckle.

——xx——xx——

Romy wandered down to the beach, her eyes not leaving Steve who was in the water, playing ball with the kids. She sighed appreciatively, cursing the number of people currently milling around her backyard.

“What are you wearing?” Danny exclaimed as Romy sat down next to him, helping him sort through Charlie’s beach toys. How did you get this?”

“This?” Romy plucked at her McDanno T-shirt, which Kamekona had given her a couple of days ago.

“Yes. This! I told Kamekona to burn those.”

“I actually love it. The logo is sweet and I mean it's not a bar and grill, but you need to love his enthusiasm. He’s really excited for you two.”

Danny was speechless for a second, but Romy could see he was working himself up to a tirade. “Stinkstiefel!” Romy interrupted him. “You should listen to Kamekona.”

“Why he’s crazy…and don’t call me that,” Danny grumbled.

“He also built an incredibly successful business out of nothing. If your restaurant is only half as profitable as his shrimp truck you’d be set.” She rolled her eyes. “I’ll stop calling you Stinkstiefel when you stop behaving like one.”

——xx——xx——

Romy had lost track of Tani after a while, she hoped everyone was welcoming. She did not want another Melissa situation. Especially with Tani being part of the team.

“You ok, babe?” Renee refilled Romy’s glass.

“Yeah, just worrying that everyone is having a good time.”

“Everyone or Tani?” Renee pinned her with a knowing look.

Romy let her head fall forward dramatically “Am I that transparent?” She whined.

“Just to me.” Renee winked. “I know you want her to feel part of the team and the O’hana and I love that about you. But maybe she doesn’t want to, and we need to respect that, too.”

“You and your logic.”

“What do you say, you, me and my logic are grabbing that bottle of wine and call Kono?”

“I say, I love you forever.” Romy linked her arm with Renee, steering them to the lanai for a quiet spot to call Kono, hopefully making her jealous enough so she’d come for a visit soon.

Chapter 46: Whatever comes next

Summary:

Summary: sometimes it needs some outside perspective to bring the important things into focus

Warnings: none

Episode: Season 8 - 5 & 6

Notes:

Hello lovelies, 

Once more I’m delayed, but this time I’ve got the best of excuses. My sister in law decided to go prematurely into labour, according to my brother my nephew gets the dramatics from me. 😂 so instead of writing I spend the last week wrapped up in newborn baby cuddles. This chapter closes the Madison Gray Story Arch, and introduces a new one. Cannot wait to hear your thoughts, comments and feedback!

Enjoy xx 

Chapter Text

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

It was a beautiful day, the rain had finally made its way to the sun after soaking them for 5 days straight. Romy was glad for it, all her men had been miserable grumps during the bad turn of weather. Neither of them used to seasons, While Romy longed for some autumn leaves and mulled wine, she must admit sitting outside on a Sunday in October, dressed in linen shorts and a T-shirt had its perks. Eddie looked up at her mournfully from underneath the table and Nahele was tapping his fingers along the menu he had perused for the last 20 minutes. Steve was running late - Late for Sunday brunch.

“Don’t look at me that way,” Romy addressed them both, “you know the rules for Sunday brunch.”

“Yeah, yeah” Nahele grumbled, “we all eat together.”

Romy bit her lip, he might have not realised it, but Nahele had taken on some of Steve’s mannerisms. The grumbling, the grumpiness when left without food or exercise for too long. The first she could understand but the second made her wonder, why she loved them at all. “Here you go bud” she sneaked Eddie a doggie biscuit out of her handbag. Yes - she was that kinda dog mum, she endured the teasing happily if it meant he would lay his head on her leg like he was doing now.

“Of course your favourite gets to eat.” Nahele blew a raspberry at her. “He doesn’t need to wait.”

“You want a dog treat too?” Romy offered the little bag to Nahele, waggling her eyebrows teasingly.

“No” he harrumphed and crossed his arms, reminding Romy for a second of a toddler. “I want baked eggs in tomato sugo.”

“I’m sure Dad will be here soon.” She placated him.

It took Romy ordering her second coffee for Steve to rush up to them, Danny in tow. “I’m so sorry!” He greeted his family. “We had to do a little detour.”

“A little detour?” Romy asked after she kissed him.

“To the hospital!” Danny ground out behind Steve, stepping forward and waving his arm - fully enclosed in a cast.

She stared at them both in shock. “What the fuck happened?”

“Your husband” Danny started as he fell in the chair next to Nahele.

Steve groaned “here it goes”

“Yes, here it goes!” Danny exclaimed, “your husband bought a cheap as fuck ladder and of course I fell.”

“What?” Nahele asked, his shoulders already shaking with laughter.

“He” Danny pointed at Steve “bought a cheap ladder and I fell off it, breaking my arm in the process.”

Romy looked over to Steve for his side of the story, but he had tipped his head back and eyes hidden behind his wayfarer shades.

“So did you fall off the ladder or did the ladder collapse?” Romy inspected the cast.

Steve sighed heavily as Danny launched in the tale again, only interrupted by the waitress to take their food order and then to receive their drinks. He clasped Romy’s fingers and she looked over at him. He tried to convey, how done he was with this already.

But it seemed like Danny was not done yet, even as the food was put in front of them, he continued.

With a sigh, Romy put her hand on his broken arm. “Stinkstiefel, I’m really sorry what happened and that you broke your arm, but this is Sunday brunch. So please.”

“Please what?” Danny started.

“Please do me a favour to either change the topic or shut up.”

“Wha…what?” He spluttered.

“This is the one uninterrupted meal we have every week.” Her waffle-laden fork pointed at Steve “his phone is in my handbag right now on silent.” Her eyes wander over to Nahele “and he knows the only reason a phone is allowed at this table is to take pictures. Do not ruin Sunday brunch.”

Danny stared at Romy with wide eyes, he swallowed before he leaned over to Nahele whispering “she takes this brunch business seriously.”

“Yep,” the teenager popping the p. “Brunch is sanctimonious.”

Opposite them, Steve kissed Romy’s cheek “thank you.”

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

Halloween found them both in a coffee shop across the court in downtown Honolulu. Today was the final chapter of Madison Gray, hopefully leaving this whole nightmare finally in the rearview mirror for them. “I still can’t believe you’re going to help her.” Steve shook his head at Romy.

“What do you want me to do? Send Alicia to prison? I might not like that woman, but she doesn’t deserve that.”

“You’re committing a crime, Romy.”

“Please, the only thing I’m doing is leaving out what Madison Gray said to me. What good is coming out if I tell the truth?” She twisted her wedding band around her finger “Sienna would be losing her mother again…”

“I still don’t like it.” Steve reached across the table, grasping her hand. Romy lifted their joined hands, kissing his knuckles.

“I know.”

——xx——xx——

“Steve!” Alicia waved in greeting. She was standing in front of the courthouse. “Romy.”

Hand in hand the two of them stepped close to the other woman, greeting her in turn.

“It’s good that I catch you. Can I talk to you both quickly?”

She didn’t even wait for their response before she launched right in. Her plan to tell the truth, that she let out Madison Gray to get her daughter back. That in turn for finding her alive, she would lure Steve away from home, so Gray could accost Romy at home, effectively taking out the King and Queen in one move.

Steve had no words, he listened patiently while Alicia laid it out. He was growing more agitated with every word that left her mouth, especially as he saw how pale Romy got underneath all her freckles. “Alicia” he growled, cutting her monologue off mid-word, “you cannot be serious. Do you know what this means? Are you aware of the consequences this will have?”

“I’m not afraid of the consequences, Steve!” Alicia said passionately “I will face a jury of my peers and they’ll decide.”

“That isn’t...that isn’t even the first thing on my mind right now. But even that would be a reason not to do it.” His eyes bore into Alicia’s. “We” he purposely used ‘We’ “did not contradict your story to the HPD. We could have, but didn’t - and this is how you’re going to thank us. Thank Romy? You’re going to cast shadows on her testimony, open us up to a perjury charge?” .“Steve...I...” Alicia took a step back. She’d never been down in the bunker, where 5-0 interrogates their suspects, but even in the glorious sunlight among people, Steve McGarrett was as intimidating as they come.

“No! You don’t get alleviate your guilt like this. Not like this, Alicia.”

Romy pulled at his hand a little, trying to get him to calm down. It wouldn’t do anybody good if he’d blow up.

“Let’s get one thing straight here” Steve’s voice dropped “You lied to the police. You let Madison Gray out in the first place, putting our whole investigation at risk and now...suddenly now you get cold feet? Am I happy that Romy backed your story after her first interview? No, believe me.”

“I did it for Sienna” Romy’s voice sliced through his words, both heads snapped over to her, like they had forgotten she was standing right next to them. “Your daughter doesn’t deserve any of this. She just got you back. And now you want to leave her again?” She looked down at her watch and announced “We should really go inside, we’ve got 5 minutes before the trial starts.” Romy didn’t wait for Steve or Alicia to add anything to her words and walked ahead into the courthouse. Alicia was about to follow her when Steve held her back “Don’t screw around with my wife. I won't stand for it. You have never seen me mad before, Alicia. Don’t make me.”

He didn’t wait for a response either, his message loud and clear. Alicia watched him close the distance to Romy quickly, their shoulders brushed as they walked together, and their pinky fingers finding each other on their own accord.

Romy tried to mask her laughter as a coughing fit, but if Steve’s glare was any indication she was unsuccessful. Well, only he could get an actual trial put on hold because he needed the defendant to assist in a serial killer case.

“I’ll see you tonight?” He had bend over the back of the court bench Romy sat on. She turned her head, admiring his profile for a second.

“Sure. Be safe, Commander.” Romy pressed her lips to his cheek. Steve turned to her, kissing her squarely on the mouth.

“Always.” He whispered against her lips and then he was gone.

Romy swayed on her feet, collapsing a little against Steve. She was tired, tired and sweaty and hungry. They spent the majority of the evening searching a massive areal of forest for a little girl abducted by her own aunt. A woman, who through a traumatic experience and the horrible treatment she received afterwards, turned first into a recluse and then a serial killer, killing after old Hawaiian myths.

It had been a day.

At least the girl had been found, a sigh of relief had swept through every single person in their search party, once the radio call had been received. Finding her last bit of strength, Romy bolted over to Eddie, who was sitting on the back of Steve’s pick up.

She ignored the glances Junior and Tani shared, and definitely ignored the sentence about pancakes and going home with each other, and turned her attention to her dog. She scratched him behind his ears, getting herself a kiss from Eddie, who tried to snuggle closer to her for more pets. “Who gets a massive treat when we get home today?”

Eddie barks in agreement, dancing on the spot. Romy didn’t know if it was because of the promise of treats or her fingers finding just the right spot behind his ears.

“Yes you, you Eddie, my favourite of all men.” She pressed her face in his fur, hugging him close to her.

“Hey! What about me?” Steve exclaimed from behind her giving Eddie a good scratch himself.

“Did you catch Marissa?” Romy asked with an arched eyebrow. “No, you didn’t. My man here, however, did a great job today. Yes, you did and that’s why you get a treat.”

“Ha!” Danny laughed “replaced by a dog.”

“A dog she never wanted,” Steve grumbled.

“I always wanted Eddie” Romy retorted, bumping her hip against his in admonishment. “Don’t listen to him.” She said to the dog while shooting a dirty look over her shoulder at Steve.

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

Romy stared at the ceiling, she couldn’t sleep. Her body was exhausted but her brain would not quiet down. The day playing on a loop, a simple courtroom appearance morphed into a crazy day where she almost perjured herself and Eddie had saved the day. The one thing that was stood apart was Steve’s harsh whisper ‘Don’t screw around with my wife. I won't stand for it. You have never seen me mad before, Alicia. Don’t make me.’

She knew he did not plan for her to hear it, but she did and god she loved him for it. Pushing herself up, she rested her head on her hand, watching Steve sleep. Her heart grew a little bit - for once he was not plagued by nightmares, not even his brow was furrowed.

“You’re staring,” he mumbled, startling Romy.

“Steve!” She gasped, “Don’t scare me like that.”

“Says the stalker watching me sleep.” A lazy smile grew on his face, as he turned on his side to face her. “Can’t sleep?” Steve’s hand, first patting Eddie’s back who had raised his head checking on what’s happening on the other end of the bed, made its way behind Romy’s neck, pulling her a bit closer.

“No” Romy shook her head. “The day keeps playing on a loop.” She nestled back down, their noses, not even an inch apart. She let her finger glide over his face “I love you.”

“Romy? You ok?”

She copied his soft smile “Yeah. I just feel I don’t tell you enough.”

“Oh gorgeous, you tell me every time you touch me, every time you smile at me when I come home.”

“Still” her voice now urgent “You deserve to hear it, just because you’re a man, does not mean you don’t deserve to be told...”

“Be told what?”

“That you are beautiful” her finger made its way over his nose “that you are strong and funny. My man, with the softest heart and nerves of steel.” Romy’s breath hitched a bit. “That you’ll always stand right next to me and sometimes a little in front of me when I need it” she swallowed “like today.”

“I’ll always protect you” Steve’s words were nothing but a rumble, not wanting to destroy the atmosphere Romy built with her words.

“I know. My Seal to protect and serve.”

Steve snorted “Your seal with slightly cracked psyche” he tried to make fun of his hardships, of what he endured - but not tonight. Tonight she wouldn’t let him.

“It’s the sign of genius,” Romy told him seriously. the pads of her fingers smoothing over Steve’s cheeks, and if she wiped away some tears, then so be it. “Thank you for today. For every day.”

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

Steve cut through the water quickly, Eddie was paddling next to him, keeping his pace nicely. Romy had begged off this morning, pulling the sheet over her head when Steve woke her up. Her grumbling about weirdos who craved exercise was drowned out by his laughter and her pushing away his tickling hands.

“Just take Eddie with you” Romy offered with a pout. Steve relented, patting his leg to get Eddie to follow him down the stairs.

Getting out of the water, Danny was waiting for him, pacing up and down the stretch of the beach.

“Eddie shake!” He commanded his dog, who complied happily, covering Danny in water.

His partner looked unimpressed at Steve “All right. What'd you do, you teach him to do that?”

Steve didn’t even try to hide his grin “Or, I don't know, maybe, uh... maybe he just doesn't like you. You ever consider that?”

The two of them bickered back and forth until Steve bent down to put on his runners. “Whoa. I brought coffee and, uh... Liliha Bakery. We'll visit.”

‘We’ll visit?’ What was going on with Danny? Steve didn’t even have a chance to question his best friends state of mind, as Danny tried to lure him in with cocoa puffs. He had him there. Setting foot into his living room, Steve wished he had gone for a run because he straight out landed in the 7th circle of hell.

An intervention?

An intervention about his stress level? This - this right here made his stress levels rise. Danny prattling on about his radiation sickness and Jerry comparing him to Captain America. He had enough...where was Romy? His eyes darted across the room and could neither see Romy nor Nahele among the people cluttering their living.

He cleared his throat before anyone else could say anything further “Romy! Romy! Get in here now.”

It took two seconds for Romy to appear. Steve narrowed his eyes at her, not only did she leave him alone with this farce, he did see the traces of coconut flakes on the corner of her mouth. She went right ahead and ate one of his cocoa puffs! Traitor.

“What do you know about this?” He asked her accusatory, watching warily as Romy walked across the room and perched on the arm of his chair.

“Why don’t you just listen to them? I think it was Lou’s turn.” She lifted his chin with her finger. “Please.”

Steve closed his eyes and nodded - he was such a goner for her pout.

“Okay. Oh. Now, Steve... you know I love you like a brother. You know that. And, you know, at first, when Danny came to me with this, you know, sensitive New Age quack-science mumbo jumbo...” Lou started. One after the other they said their piece, even Tani and Doug. Kamekona however took the price, trying to charge him more at the shrimp truck. Only his friend would try to monetise a situation like this. Junior managed to incur the wrath of Danny, trying to convince them that Steve could handle himself. Steve was pretty sure Junior would be on cleaning duty for the next couple of weeks if Romy’s death glare didn’t kill him instantly. He looked up at Romy, she still had not said anything yet and was avoiding his eyes like a champion. Steve had enough, he stood up and tugged Romy back out of the lanai “Excuse us for a moment would you?” He tossed over his shoulder to his friends.

“Ok, you gonna say anything about this whole charade in our living room?”

“What do you want me to say, Steve?”, Romy sighed.

“Oh Jesus, I don’t know. Maybe mock Danny with me together or kick them out of our house?” Steve threw his arms in the air. “This ambush is kinda dirty pool, don’t you think?”

“No.” Romy shook her head. Her voice was hard as steel as she continued, “Dirty pool would have been, me making sure  your son would not be going to school today, to be here to listen to this and maybe adding his 2 cents.” Steve’s stomach dropped at this, he hated disappointing Nahele almost more than disappointing Romy. “Dirty pool would be, me saying that I ... we need you around for a long time. Playing dirty would be telling you that I can’t imagine living my life without you, cause it wouldn’t be my life.” She let her words sink in. “So, in exchange for me not playing dirty. Why don’t you listen to your friends? Take something away from it or don’t. But it would help Danny calm down, which will help you relax. Win/Win right?” She smirked at the end of her sentence.

Steve rubbed his hand over his eyes and into his hair, how was this fair? How could she collude with Danny, make sense and at the same time he still didn’t want to strangle her?

“For you.” He dropped his head to his chest.

“That’s the spirit.” Romy patted his cheek and kissed him.

When they stepped back inside, Steve cleared his throat “Look, Danny, I appreciate all this, but any stress in my life, I-I got a handle on it, okay? I got it.”

“I believe that you think that you do. I-I believe that. But I also think that you might not know, right? So that's why I think that somebody that is an expert in the field would be better to make that kind of decision, so... “ Danny looked over to Romy hoping for some help, but she shook her head. On this he was on his own, she didn’t mind the whole intervention thing, but she had drawn the line there...not that he listened to her. “we have a, um, stress-management consultant to evaluate you.”

Steve spun around to Romy, his eyes wide “That's not a... that's not a real thing. That can't be somebody's job.”

“Actually, it is.” A small woman stepping out of the kitchen, Eddie in tow “Pleasure to meet you, Commander. Chloe Gordon. Your friends all pitched in to have me shadow you today, to recommend better ways to manage your stress.”

“You're welcome.” Danny rubbed his hands gleefully.

“Very nice to meet you, Miss Gordon.” Steve shook her hand, still slightly dazed “I didn't mean to mock your job. I didn't realize you were hiding in my kitchen.” He threw a dirty look at Romy, who rolled her eyes nodding at Danny. “Okay, so, uh, but... you heard what I was saying. There's-there's no need for your services because I-I'm not stressed.”

“I'll admit you-you do seem pretty relaxed.”

Romy chortled at Chloe, the stress consultant was definitely checking Steve out, like she couldn’t believe what she saw. What did Danny tell her to expect? A stress riddled curmudgeon with a constant frown. Oh, boy was she in for a surprise, should Steve turn on his charm. Too bad she couldn’t come with them to witness this.  “Thank you. But I'm already paid for the day, so tell you what-- why don't you just let me hang around? That way, you can have the satisfaction of watching a professional tell all your friends just how wrong they were.”

Now Romy needed to hide her smile behind her fingers, that woman was good. Steve was going to have a lot of fun today. As always his phone rang in the most inopportune moment. “You better text me with updates,” Romy whispered in Steve’s ear, as he kissed her goodbye.

“If I have to suffer, then so will you,” Steve promised. “And I will find a way to punish you tonight.” His voice dropping at the end.

“I’m looking forward to it, Commander.” Romy lifted her eyebrow daringly, yelping a little when Steve pinched her butt.

“A little taster for tonight.”

“STEVE!” Danny’s dulcet tones reaching through the front door.

“Go on” Romy kissed him goodbye. “Be safe commander.”

“Always.”

——xx——xx—— 

 

Romy almost dropped her phone reading Steve’s text ‘Why are you talking to Melissa about our Sex life?’

‘And at least when you do it...tell the truth!’

“You ok there?” Renee looked over her laptop at Romy. Working from home together on a Friday had become their little routine since Kono had left the island. It didn't matter that they worked in different fields, moaning about meetings that could have been emails were a universal problem. Romy handed her phone over, making Renee laugh.

“Hun, do you really talk with Melissa about your sex life?” Renee asked as she handed the phone back.

Romy’s eyebrows furrowed “Well she wanted to compare notes.”

“And according to Steve you didn’t tell the truth,” her friend leaned back in her chair, “You better be telling me the truth though.”

“I didn’t want her to feel bad” Romy shrugged making Renee almost choke on her coffee. “Breaking up constantly can interfere with your love life.”

Renee shrugged at Romy’s statement, “True. Doubt Danny would see it the same way.”

Romy bit her lip at that, Danny definitely would not. She quickly sent a message back to Steve.

‘Sorry, Schnuffi. Didn’t want her to feel bad. You can give her Renee’s number for more accurate information. 😏

Romy and Renee had opened a bottle of bubbly, celebrating the end of their day, when Nahele unlocked the door.

“Hey, kiddo!” She hollered through the door.

“Hey, Mama. Hi Aunt Renee.” Nahele ambled through the lanai door.

“You’re home late” Romy checked her watch. Nahele plopped down next to her, his head falling back with a theatrical groan “the stress lady wanted to meet me too.”

Romy raised her eyebrows at that, why didn’t she know about that one? Danny was in for it now - they had an agreement, Nahele stayed out of it.

“She wanted to get an idea about life at home.” He shrugged and grabbed a handful of crisps from the bowl on the table. “And that dad gets a plant or something for the office and a treadmill desk.”

That woman had no idea who she was dealing with, Romy’s shoulders shook with laughter and Renee struggled as well to keep a straight face. “A plant and a treadmill desk?” She wanted to make sure she heard that right.

“Mhm” Nahele nodded with a silly grin, he was getting way too much enjoyment out of this.

“What did your dad say to that?” Renee wanted to know.

“He was saved by the bell as usual.” The teenager grumbled and hopped up from the bench, but not without grabbing another handful of chips. “Come on Eddie let’s go for a run!” He addressed his four-legged brother. Eddie however just whined at Nahele’s excited voice and burrowed his head into his paws. “Just because Mom is your favourite doesn’t mean you need to hate going for a run as well.” Nahele had dropped to his knees and petted his head.

“My dog has taste, that’s all!” Romy exclaimed from behind them.

A little while later Romy’s and Renee’s musings about what to do for dinner were interrupted by a text from Danny, almost ordering her to Kamekona’s for Chloe’s final findings.

“I’m not gonna miss that!” Renee exclaimed. “Come on girl!”

They made it just in time to hear Lou saying “Dinner and a show. I should've brought my wife.”

“Good That I brought her then.” Romy quipped, startling the group with their sudden appearance.

They kissed their respective husbands hello, Romy and Nahele sat down on either side of Steve, eagerly awaiting Chloe’s evaluation. “Well, Commander, what I want to tell you to do is quit your job and take up gardening.” Romy shared a look with Steve, yeah gardening wasn’t calming for him either, his very one-sided arguments with the plants in their garden making Romy giggle every single time. Chloe laid out a couple of suggestions from using a calendar, to-do list and maybe some calming exercises. Romy needed to hand it to her, she tried but the first time she saw Steve with a calendar she’d check him for a fever. “You'll have my full written report tomorrow.” Chloe continues. “Um, I'm going to add a personalized daily plan. It will include stress-reducing techniques, holistic modalities, uh, dietary guidelines. Um, case in point, you-you might want to just cut back on the shrimp.” She nodded to their plates of shrimp on the table, which brought an argument from Kamekona, about how healthy shrimp were.

“Uh, listen,” Steve interrupted the squabble at the table. “I'm gonna get a round of drinks for everybody. Danny, give me a hand, please.”

The two men stepped away from the table, steve turned around and saw how Chloe had leaned over to Romy, handing her a folder. He didn’t want to know what was going to be in there, he had a feeling meditations would now be part of his daily life. Ordering and waiting for their drinks he turned to Danny. “All right, please tell me I'm not alone in-in... in how I feel about this. This whole thing is just ridiculous. Are you kidding me? Diet plans? A treadmill desk? The self-regulating de-stress modulator whatever she said.” He begged with his best friend. “What’s going on?”

Danny took a deep breath “I’m scared you’re not taking this seriously.”

“Why would you say that?” Steve’s eyes widened in surprise.

“When you told me you had radiation poisoning, you were very casual like you had excema or something. I lay up at night, being sick about it. I can’t sleep. I almost called that therapist to get us another session.”

Danny’s impassioned speech startled him.

“Why didn’t you say something to me?” He wanted to know.

“What would I say to you? That I’m stressed about the fact that you aren’t taking this thing seriously?” Steve turned around, he had no idea, that Danny was taking this so hard. “I’m not gonna put that on you. That’s my own thing. What am I going to say to you?”

He crossed his arms, trying to find the right way to respond. “I’m scared too. I know I don’t show it, but deep down I’m scared. You think I don’t want to live a long life. Grow old with Romy? Have more kids? Watch them all grow up, being amazing people. You know what I’m not gonna do. I’m not gonna obsess over something that might happen and I can’t let you do that either. I’m serious about this and there is one other thing, please whatever she said, don’t do that, don’t change. I love you man. The way you are. I need it to stay that way. BFFs remember.” He held out his fist for a bump.

Danny touched his fist to it “forever you know that..”

“Well, that’s what it actually means, best friends forever.”

Danny rolled his eyes. “Man can you do me one favour and I promise I won’t stop arguing with you.

“What buddy?”

“Show Romy, that You’re taking this seriously.”

“What do you mean?” Steve was suddenly on high alert.

“It’s nothing...forget it...”

“No...don’t start like this. Tell me what you meant. What is with Romy?”

“Well one of the reasons why I spun out, was a conversation with her. You remember Jerry’s party. After you dropped that bombshell on me, she and I, had a talk and well...you didn’t have one of your best friends cry into your shoulder, being worried about her pigheaded husband not being around to see his kids grow up.”

Danny could have punched him in the gut, and he wouldn’t have noticed.

“I’m sure it was just a moment of weakness, but man...I’ve never seen her like that. Not when you got shot or any other stupid stunt we pulled. So please, do it for her. I actually don’t want to swoop in and marry her.”

Steve’s jaw was slack with this admission, his eyes landing on his wife. She was laughing with their friends, drinking from his beer bottle. She looked relaxed and carefree, but he could see it, the underlying tension she’s been carrying for a while now.

“Don’t tell her.” Danny’s voice was quiet as he grabbed the bottles from the truck.

“Huh?” Steve turned around.

“What I just told you. She never mentioned it afterwards and it’s been 4 months now.”

“Got it.” Steve nodded and they headed back to the table. He slid back in the spot between his son and wife.

“On Sunday we’re going for a hike, just the four of us.” He said quietly to them. Romy turned to him, regarding his profile, trying to read what brought it on. They hadn’t been on a hike in ages. Steve not feeling comfortable being unreachable for an extended period with the team down two experienced officers.

“Hanauma Bay Ridge?” She asked hopefully, it was one of her favourite trails on the island.

“Sure.” Steve bumped Nahele’s shoulder. “Sounds good to you Kiddo?”

“Of course!”

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

Sunday morning was full of glorious sunshine as they headed out early in the morning. Romy was grumbling at her wake up call of 6 am but Steve promises of their usual brunch and extra waffles helped ease the pain of getting up early. Nahele and Steve were a couple of steps ahead, with their never-ending energy, making Romy smile. She pulled out her phone snapping a picture of them from behind. Steve’s arm around Nahele’s shoulders as he pointed out something in the distance. Romy didn’t even want to keep up with them, happy to watch them and Eddie seemed to be more than happy to match her pace. She managed to catch up with her two men when they reached the ridge. Steve had already pulled the water bottle out for Eddie and handed Romy her own one. He looked over the ridge, revelling in the views of his island and his family. For the first time in ages, he was at ease no worrying about the restaurant or Tani and Junior. Just him, nature and the people he loved the most.

“You ok?”

Romy’s voice startled him out of his musings.

“Yeah” he wound his arms around her waist, relishing in her body pressed against his, her head on his chest. “I…I wanted to let you know, that I take all of this seriously. That not a day goes by that I don’t think of all the what if’s…I’m scared Romy. So fucking scared that I won’t be here…” he could feel Romy’s head nod against his shirt. “But you confiding to Danny how this affects you and not me…that has me scared even more”

“I’m sorry” Romy looked up at him. “I didn’t want to add more to your plate that night.”

“No secrets,” Steve whispered their golden rule.

“No secrets,” Romy responded in kind, tightening her hold.

“You know, why I’m not as scared?” He asked after a second. “You.” He shrugged. “You make me ready to face whatever comes next.”

Romy leaned back a bit in his arms, her smile taking over her whole face. “Right back at ya.”

Neither of them realising, Nahele taking a picture of them right at that moment.

Chapter 47: Saving Grace

Summary:

Music: Saving Grace by Kodaline, Don’t give up on me by Andy Grammar

Warnings: A little bit of smut - over 18 year olds only

Episode: Season 8 - 7, 8

Notes:

Hello lovelies, 

And I need to start with an apology again…life has been messy the last couple of weeks and it impacted my writing. Thanks for all your love for the last chapter and my new nephew. You guys are seriously the best!

I can’t wait to hear your thoughts!                                                                                        

Enjoy xx 

Chapter Text

 

 ——xx——xx—— 

 

Romy waited patiently, well if you count not staring at her phone obsessively. She had tracked Kono and Adam’s flight since it took off this morning. Yes - she even got up early for it, Steve had teased her relentlessly but one of her best friends was coming home. She was excited.

The waitress refilled her coffee cup and Romy checked her phone - Steve should be at the airport right now. She had wanted to go herself, but she had an early meeting with the team back in London and had been in the office since 5 am.

Her phone vibrated on the table with two messages

‘There is only going to be three of us for breakfast.’

‘Don’t hate me.’

Romy’s chin fell to her chest, staring down at the preview of her messages. Was she even surprised?

She gulped her coffee, contemplating her responses.

‘Ok. Drive safely xx’ back to Steve. The one to Kono took a moment longer.

‘I could never hate you. You free to talk?’ The words stared at her for a while before she pressed send. Romy didn’t need to wait longer than 5 seconds before her phone started to dance on the table.

“Hey” she sighed, after picking up.

“I’m so sorry!” Kono sounded exhausted.

“It’s ok.”

“I really, really wanted to come back. But then...the case going federal and there  never seems to be an end and - “

“Kono!” Romy interrupted her friend's frantic monologue “it’s ok. Really.”

“You sure?”

Was she sure? Was it ok?

“Yes!” She said with conviction. “If one understands the need to uproot their life for something it's me.” A breath whooshed out of Kono, Romy could feel the tension that left her friend. “You need to do what makes you happy”

“I don’t think chasing sex traffickers is the definition of happy” Kono interjected, making Romy let out a short laugh.

“Fair enough. But, it makes you something right? Something pulls you to do this?”

“These girls, Romy. These women...I never felt anything like it when we manage to put another one of these assholes behind bars.”

“It’s called job satisfaction, Kono.” Romy’s tone is light to ease the tension.

Kono shook her head “It’s not even that. It’s more than that. Like I was...I was meant to do this.”

“It’s your purpose - your legacy.”

“Exactly.” She was glad someone understood, and she said that to Romy.

“Oh hun, I don’t know what else to call packing up your life and uproot it, because you found something that makes sense. If that’s a guy or your job. Doesn’t matter.”

“Adam doesn’t understand.” Kono’s voice was quiet.

Romy whispered her friend's name, unsure what else to say.

“He doesn’t want to follow me around anymore and he doesn’t want to move to the mainland. And I can’t ... can’t give this up.”

Romy pinched the skin between her eyes, what for a horrible situation. What a decision to make.

“Have you talked about a compromise?”

“If you class passive-aggressive silence as talking, then we did a lot of that.”

Letting out another sigh, Romy stared at the coffee cup in frustration. “You need to...”

“I know, I know. We need to talk about this. Maybe when I come home for Christmas or something.”

“That’s over a month away, Kono!”

“The distance will do us good and the only thing I’m mad about is that I’m gonna miss your birthday in three days.” Of course, that was her only worry.

“You can FaceTime in with the others.” Romy tried to calm her down.

“It’s not the same” Kono whined.

“You’re not gonna lose me or Renee as friends, just because you are no longer chasing bad guys with our husbands.” She let that sentence stand for a second. “And because of that, I’m gonna tell Renee.”

“I love you the best!” Kono exclaimed, she had dreaded telling Renee more than Romy.

“Hold that thought” Romy laughed, as she felt her phone vibrated with a text message.

“What’s going on?”

“It seems like our husbands came upon a bank robbery in progress” Romy rolled her eyes at the text Steve had sent her.

“I like that nothing changes. Steve still finds crime wherever he goes.”

“That will never change.” Romy deadpanned “Don’t worry about that.” She checked her watch. “Hun, seeing as no one’s going to join me for breakfast I’m gonna head back to the office.”

“Sure. I speak to you soon?” Kono asked hesitantly.

“Whenever you need to and to our scheduled times with Renee.”

“Love you girl.”

“Love you too.” Romy blew a kiss through the phone hanging up.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Her hands were shaking, even an hour later when she got out of her car at home. She went straight through the house and onto the lanai.

Her feet carried her straight into the water, she took a breath. Steve’s tortured voice shouting at her “I shot that cop, Romy! I killed him. He’s dead. I did that! I messed up.” It made her shiver, she didn’t want to hear it anymore, didn’t want to see his face twisted in pain. Didn’t want to remember how he shook off her arms “I didn’t have a clear visual and shot anyway. I did that and nobody else. And it’s not going to go away by you hugging me.” She took a breath and dove in the water, clothes, makeup and jewellery be damned. The water dimmed everything a little bit, the light, her vision, her thoughts. Like a clear cocoon that laid itself around her - distancing her from reality.

She broke back through the surface when her lungs started to burn. Romy gasped in the sweet warm air. She startled Eddie stared up at her, his snout full of her dress, pulling her towards the beach. “I’m fine, sweetheart. I’m all good.” She panted, trying to follow Eddie’s pull without falling over her feet. Romy fell to her knees “I’m sorry.  I’m so sorry, did I scare you? I didn’t mean to.” Her hands massaging Eddie’s fur, earning herself a kiss to the cheek. “Thanks, Ed. I needed that.”

——xx——xx——

“Hey, girl.”

Romy whirled around, her hand grasping the space over her heart, the other grabbing Eddie’s collar to stop him from greeting Renee. Not everyone loved a wet dog hug.

“Geez, Renee. You gonna give me a heart attack?”

Renee raised her eyebrows, looking Romy up and down, “like you did, going into the water completely dressed?”

The two friends stared at each other, after a couple of heartbeats Renee took pity on her “Lou called me. Said you might need a friend. But by the looks of it, you need some retail therapy more.”

Romy giggled her head falling to her chest. “You might be right.” She looked up through her lashes.

“Come on.” Renee held her hand out as you would to a child and guided her up to the house. “But first you need some dry clothes.”

——xx——xx——

Romy came home from her shopping spree, her arms full of bags. Renee was a great shopping companion, almost as great as Danny. Spending the afternoon with a woman who’s been dealing with this for 20 years had helped her sort her feelings. She wasn’t mad at Steve - he had gone through something horrible, something he could not fix. She was hurt, that’s it, hurt that he would not accept or rather wasn’t ready yet to accept her comfort. And that was a little bit on her too, she had rushed over after Lou called her. She knew her man, he needed some time to adjust to being ready for comfort and she had rushed in. It didn’t excuse his behaviour, but it made it understandable.

She let out a sigh when she stepped into the house. A massive bouquet stood proudly on the dining room table, with Steve pacing in front of it.

“I’m sorry!” Both said at the same time and started laughing instantly. They met in the middle of the room, arms wound around each other, hanging on tight. Her hands buried into Steve’s hair, squeezing him into her neck, she could feel his shoulders shake and her skin getting wet. It took them a while to detangle from each other. They weren’t ready yet to let go. The day had scared them both, each in a different way, but it had profoundly shaken their foundation. It would take some time for their instincts to heal, Steve’s trust in his abilities and Romy’s in her emotional instinct. It would not be instantaneously, but it would happen, it’d make them stronger, in the end, they both were sure of that.

They sat on their swing Romy with her legs in Steve’s lap, one of Steve’s hands trailing paths on her skin, the other petting Eddie. The dog had picked up on the soft mood and had not left their side, almost herding them to their swing. Now he sat on Romy’s lap, his head on her legs and every once in an awhile he butted Steve’s hand, for him to not stop the stroking.

Steve looked over at Romy, he swallowed twice “the cop wasn’t even a cop, just masquerading as one…” he had left that out earlier, only now giving her the final puzzle piece. “I’d take that hug now…if you’re still offering.” His voice was small.

“Oh, Steve!” Romy whispered as she turned in her seat, pulling her husband against her chest, holding on tight. “I’m always offering, even if you don’t want it.” She pressed a kiss on the top of his head, letting his weight settle against her fully. “Always.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

“Mama?”

“What’s up, kiddo?” Romy closed her book and twisted in her seat. It was a Thursday evening, Nahele had been quietly filling out questionnaires intending to tell him what to study, while they waited for Steve to come home for the day.

“Why don’t I have a German nickname?”

“What?” Of all the things, this was not what she had expected to come out of his mouth.

“Yeah!” Nahele plopped down into her lap, making Romy groan playfully. “Opa calls you Mäusle and well Lars calls Nico something…” he bit his lip trying to think of the word.

“Bimberla” she helped him out.

“Bimberla” Nahele sounded out the word in Romy’s home dialect.

“It means small human.” She poked him in the side “definitely not applicable to you anymore.”

“Nah you love it when I’m all cuddly.” Nahele grinned.

“True!” She winked at him. “So a proper nickname?”

“Well when the adoption finally comes through, I’m kinda half german. And Dad got one too.” He pouted. “You even gave one to Danny. I feel left out.” Romy’s laugh stuck in her throat, is that really what happened? “I…I…”

“Mom, jeez relax!” Nahele said at her pained face “It was just a joke.”

Romy shook her head and poked him in the sides, making Nahele wiggle in her lap.

“Mamaaaa!” He swatted at her fingers.

“Ok. Ok. Ok.” Romy held her hands up. She looked at her son. “I promise I think of something.”

“But something nice,” Nahele demanded. “Not Stinkstiefel like Uncle Danny.”

“I promise.” Romy held her little finger out to him, with a grin Nahele took it and shook it solemnly - the pinky swear complete.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy was sitting with a sheet mask on her face on the sun lounger on their private lanai when Steve came home the next day. His eyebrows shot up his hairline when he saw Romy taking a healthy sip directly out of a Prosecco bottle. “You need a glass, gorgeous?”

“Nope.” She popped the p slightly. “This evening doesn’t deserve a glass.”

“What happened?” Steve let his hand glide through her hair, sitting down next to her.

“Nothing,” Romy shrugged his concern away.

“It’s not nothing if you’re guzzling Champagne out of a bottle.” He let out a little laugh, checking her shoulder.

“You had enough on your plate today…” Romy tried to wave him off.  Steve would not have it, he turned serious, pinning her with a glare “talk to me.”

Romy’s head fell against his shoulder, she recognised his tone of voice, he used it with Nahele and Eddie a lot, it was his ‘stop bullshitting me - I’ll find out anyway’ voice. “It’s nothing really…just Paul deciding to be an arsehole on my birthday call.” She squeezed her eyes shut, thinking back to the cutting remark her brother had made, when she voiced her opinion, trying to get a word in edgewise in his little tirade.

‘Nobody cares for your opinion.’

She hated that it could still affect her so much, she hated that she still wanted her big brothers' respect, that even as a woman, he could make her feel so small and crave his acceptance. When no one called him out on his shitty behaviour, she had enough. She didn’t need this, she didn’t need to be disrespected not on her birthday, not any day of the year. If her brother did not know how to have a discussion without being hurtful and dismissive then she’d not be a part of it.

“I’m sorry” Steve muttered into her hair, anger swelling in his chest. Oh, he’d give a lot to have been on that call.

“You know what I hate the most…that even now with everything that I achieved, I still only want for my big brothers to respect me and value my opinion.” Tears threatened to spill again and Romy closed her eyes willing herself not to cry. The whole point of the sheet mask had been to hide the evidence of tears from earlier on.

Steve squeezed her to him, family could be the worst with cutting you down and the best in lifting you. Did he do the same to Mary? Not a thing he wanted to contemplate now. Gently he peeled off her face mask and massaged the leftover serum into her skin. Romy’s eyes closed at his ministrations, ready to forget, ready to relax. “I think your mask did the trick, no blotchy spots in sight.” He kissed her forehead.

“Thanks.”

“I hate your brother right now.” Steve sat up, taking Romy with him in his lap.

“Don’t” Romy framed his face. “It’s not worth it.”

“He made you cry and he disrespected you.” He took her hands in his “I ain’t standing for that kind of shit from anyone, least of all from people who…” he shook his head. “Let me just hate him a little. He’s too far away for me to deck him. So, that’s all I got.”

Romy giggled at him and nodded. “Ok.”

Steve looked at his watch, it was almost midnight. He stood up, with Romy still hanging onto him, making her shriek. “And now I think it’s time to celebrate your birthday.” With sure steps, he walked them back into the house and right into their bedroom, where he set Romy down onto their bed. He leaned over her body, caging her in completely. His lips attached themselves to her neck, kissing, nipping, marking - breathing her in.

He wanted her to forget, wanted Romy’s mind to melt, so the only thing she would be able to concentrate on was them. Her breathy sighs and moans telling him he was on the right track. Steve kept a lazy pace, his intent on a sensual seduction instead of a quick relief. “Steve!” Romy moaned, twisting under him trying to escape his lips one second, and moving closer to him the next. He ignored her, nipping her neck and then moving down, across her breasts. Blowing hot air over her nipples, making Romy arch into him. He pulled her housedress over her head and sat up to survey his handiwork. Her skin glistening from the Hawaiian heat and his tongue, her nipples pert and her hair mused. He did that.

Steve dove right back in, feasting on her body, driving any coherent thought out of her head.

“Oh my god, Steve!” Romy moaned as he rolled her clit around with her tongue, tumbling headfirst into her first orgasm.

“You doing ok there, gorgeous?” Steve asked as her breathing slowed down. Her lazy grin as she opened her eyes, hit him deeply. This was what he lived for, making her smile like this.

“Just perfect”

“Fuck, you’re amazing.” Steve teased her again with his fingers. “Damn, already shaking and trembling again. I don’t think I can wait…”

“Then don’t!” Romy’s hand buried in his hair, her fingers scraping his scalp, sending a shiver through his body. “Please don’t wait.” Her breath was hot against his ear, her feet trying to find purchase against his back. Steve couldn’t refuse Romy, he sank deep into her, joining them together in their race to completion.

Their breaths were heavy and loud in the night after they spend themselves with each other. Steve rolled over watching Romy head to the bathroom to use the toilet. He watched her coming back into the room, she was still completely naked, he caught sight of the alarm clock. “Happy Birthday, gorgeous.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy’s heart almost stopped when she saw Steve’s plane clip the cone and he lost control of it. He wouldn’t dare, he wouldn’t dare die on her birthday. Everyone in their booth stood up, and she could hear Danny calling Steve over the radio several times. The cheers were deafening when he pulled the plane back up and he couldn’t help himself but do flyover across the bleachers.

“I feel the need!” Lou smiled, pulling Jerry in a one-arm hug.

“The need for Steve.” Jerry completed his sentence, everyone stared at him and it dawned on the poor man that he said that out loud.

“You’re a kiss ass” Danny threw at him on his way to the car.

Nahele murmured to Romy “I don’t think I can ever unhear that.”

“Me neither, kiddo.” She threw him the keys to her car to drive to the airport that the event used a landing strip.

Romy stood back as she watched the team greet and congratulate Steve, even if he couldn’t believe he only made last.

“Victory is in the effort.” Junior tried to cheer him up.

“Dead last? Dead last?” Steve muttered to himself as the others headed back to their cars.

“Well better last as dead.” Romy shrugged as jumped up at him to give him a hug and a kiss. “You’re my winner any time.” She kissed him soundly, earning them a scoff from Danny and Nahele.

“I’m kinda glad you didn’t die on my birthday.” She patted his cheek, before stepping back so Nahele and Danny could do their male bonding thing. They entertained him with Jerry’s need for Steve, making Romy choke at Steve’s face at this. They headed to Kamekona’s for food and beers, where the teasing of Jerry continued and Romy still could not get over how badly Junior and Tani flirted with each other.

“Honestly you don’t see that?” She asked Steve as they got ready for bed.

“I don’t know if I want to see it.” Steve pulled a face while putting toothpaste on both of their toothbrushes.

“It’s kinda a cute” she scrunched her nose, taking her toothbrush from him “if it wasn’t that hapless. I don’t know if they realise what’s going on.”

“You’re not meddling Ms Erhardt - McGarrett.” Steve poked her in the side. “Romy!” He added when she didn’t respond straight away.

Romy spit out the toothpaste “Jesus, I promise. It’s not like a meddler or I would have done something about the whole Melissa - Danny situation years ago.” With that she left him in the bathroom, staring after her as if he couldn’t believe what he’d just heard.

 

——xx——xx——

 

A couple of days later, Romy was still in the office late in the evening. It was budget season and she needed to finish off the ones for the Hawaiian cluster to be sent back to London for approval. She hoped she didn’t need to fly to Europe to defend them in front of the board of directors. Christmas was approaching fast and they had so much to do in the weeks prior, including visiting a college or two with Nahele. She marked the week after next to go to London, maybe she could meet Steve and Nahele at one of the West Coast colleges he wanted to look at.

“Romy!”

“Mama!”

Her head shot up from double-checking her work calendar when her two men burst into her office.

“Is everything ok?” Romy stood up and came around the desk.

“A courier delivered a letter today.” Steve held it out to her, his eyes meeting hers. Thinking, she was sure of it, of the last time a courier had delivered them a letter. The last time - her hand shook, as she took the envelope out of Steve’s hand. The last time, it was threatening her deportation and got them married. What would this one bring?

She turned it over before she opened it. The sender made her breath stop:

Family Court of Honolulu, State of Hawaii.

Romy looked up at Steve and Nahele, both of them filled with trepidation and elation. With a big breath, she tore the envelope open.

Chapter 48: Wild Dreams

Summary:

Summary: A yacht, a virus, colleges and someone getting shot - life never slows down for Steve and Romy and this time they can’t deal with it together.

Warnings: In light of the last two years - quarantine and viruses are being discussed.

Episode: Season 8 - 9, 10

Notes:

Hello, lovelies,

I’m back! I just want to say thank you so much for all your messages, checking in with me, while my family adjusts to new situations. It’s been a rollercoaster and my muse has definitely suffered. Honestly, your notes and encouragement have helped me tremendously- I can’t even put it into words. I hopefully will be back with a more regular updating schedule, maybe twice a month instead of weekly for the time being. But here it is - I present you a new slice of Steve & Romy.

Enjoy xx

Chapter Text

“Romy!”

“Mama!”

Her head shot up from double-checking her work calendar when her two men burst into her office.

“Is everything ok?” Romy stood up and came around the desk.

“A courier delivered a letter today.” Steve held it out to her, his eyes meeting hers. Thinking, she was sure of it, of the last time a courier had delivered them a letter. The last time - her hand shook, as she took the envelope out of Steve’s hand. The last one had threatened her deportation and got them married. What would this one bring?

She turned it over before she opened it. The sender made her breath stop:

Family Court of Honolulu, State of Hawaii.

Romy looked up at Steve and Nahele, both of them filled with trepidation and elation. With a big breath, she tore the envelope open.

Her eyes flitting over the paper rapidly, trying to read and comprehend at the same time.

It was true, it was really true.

Her hand reached out, trying to find something to steady her. Romy felt Steve grabbing it, his other hand holding onto her elbow, squeezing softly. Her gaze lifted to meet theirs. Her eyes were glassy.

“Mama?” Nahele’s voice was full of worry, he only allowed himself a small breath of relief, when he saw the big smile that was spreading over his mom’s face.

“Two weeks - then you’re officially ours.”

“I…I….”

“‘Hele, you ok?” Steve let go of Romy and put his arm around the teenager. “This is still what you want right?”

Nahele looked from Romy to Steve and back, he couldn’t put it in words what was going through his head right now. These two people that took him in, who gave him everything he’d never thought possible. Who loved him, a gift and a given at the same time. He nodded quickly, hating to see the doubt form on his parents' faces. “I just can’t believe it…” he shook his head.

“It’s real” Romy handed over the letter to him. She watched Nahele holding the piece of paper carefully, his hands almost caressing it.

“It’s real.” He confirmed Romy’s words, giving her only a second before he launched at her. The paper crumbling against her back, as he hugged her tight. After a moment of desperately clinging to each other, happiness won out. The two of them started to hop in place, making Steve smile with their silly antics. Romy looked up at Steve, watching him watch them, his grin wide, as the whole situation clicked into place with him. She extended her arm, inviting him into their hug. Steve didn’t need to think twice, as he saw Romy’s arm reaching for him. He stepped into their hug, holding onto them tight. And if Romy’s hair soaked up a couple of happy tears from him, so be it.

For the first time, something in his life went smoothly. Steve looked over at Romy, her face mirroring his emotions, gobsmacked, delirious happiness, perfectly.

With a relieved laugh, he threw his car keys at Nahele, “Let’s Go celebrate! Shaved ice for everyone!”

Romy and Nahele cheered, the last of their nervous energy dissolving with his statement, his acknowledgement making it tangible, real, ready to be celebrated - ready to be shared.

Nahele and Steve had already opened the door of Romy’s office, a massive shout of “congratulations!” from Romy’s colleagues greeting them, when Steve realised that his wife was not standing next to him, not watching Nahele get swept up in celebratory hugs. He turned around, she was still in the middle of the room, her expression dazed like it was all crashing down on her. In a few strides, he stood in front of her. His hands frame her face and Steve kissed her deeply. That seemed to do the trick, her fingers finding the way around his wrists. The kiss was passionate and calming at the same time. If it could talk it would say ‘Finally’

“Thank you.” Romy grinned.

“For what?” Steve’s lips moving against her forehead.

“Making my wildest dreams come true.”

“Right back at ya, gorgeous!”

Romy leaned up, her eyes shining bright with giddiness, “Let’s celebrate.”

——xx——xx——

“I’m taking the rest of the day.” Romy grinned at Ani, as Steve guided her past her assistant's desk.

“You better.” The younger woman retorted cheekily.

“And you better get out of here soon as well, or else!” Romy threatened with a pointed finger, while Steve dragged her to the elevator.

“Aye aye, boss” Ani mock saluted, as the elevator doors closed behind them.

Walking along the beach, her two men next to her, Eddie dancing a little bit in front of them, and a shaved ice in her hand, Romy burrowed into Steve’s side. Her husband, her son, her dog, her home…the wildest dreams, indeed.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Steve had tucked the blanket around Danny like he would do to Nahele when he checked on him during the night. His partner was fading rapidly, the virus taking a toll on him harder than him, Tani or Junior. Steve didn’t know what to do. Should he call Grace and Charlie? Giving Danny a chance to speak to his children? Would it help, or would it make the inevitable more real, than it already was?

Steve wasn’t used to sitting on the sidelines, waiting to be rescued. It wasn’t in his nature, just to sit back and wait.

The satellite phone in his hands was taunting him, itching to call Romy. To have her there with him. They were running out of time for Lou to find an antidote, their final hours upon them. But what would he say to her? Would he speak only to Romy or would he talk to Nahele too? What were his last words to the two most important people in his life going to be?

How much he loved them? How they turned his life around? Each in their way, but both showing him his capacity to love was endless when it came to them. Would his name sound like a full-blown essay, like always when it came from Romy’s lips? Or would it sound differently knowing it was the last time he would hear it? He unzipped the small pocket in his vest, pulling out the picture he had in there for the last three years. It had been joined by a second one last year. Her smile was so bright on the first one, the creaks in the paper so deep the colour was fading already. Her face was half-hidden by her hair, the photographer had pressed the shutter in the right moment as he twirled her at Aunt Deb’s wedding. It was the first time he admitted to himself how happy she made him. His sun. His guiding light. He folded the picture on the seams again, carefully so it wouldn’t crease any further. The other was a more recent addition, a selfie taken from Nahele on their first Christmas together. His family.

If this was the time he was allowed to spend with them, he would be grateful. He wouldn’t be mad. He’d never thought he would get what he had, with Romy and Nahele. Couldn’t even tell, if he deserved it, to have them both. To love them, to be loved by them. He was a greedy bastard, he wanted more…more time…more love…more kids…to feel Romy’s lips against his one more time. Steve’s had thudded softly against the bench, he’d never thought he would have a long life. His career was never not dangerous. Funny, he scoffed to himself, from all the ways he thought he’d die, being killed by a virus had not been one of them.

——xx——xx——

Suddenly his comm’s link crackled to life “Commander McGarrett, this is Air One, do you copy?”

Steve scrambled up for the floor, his hand pressed to his ear “Air One? Yes, Air One, go ahead. I read you, go ahead.”

“Commander McGarrett, be advised, we are approaching your location.”

He could feel his whole body shaking, this could only mean good news, please let it mean good news. “Copy that.”

Suddenly Lou’s deep voice cut through his thoughts. “Steve, we have the antidote.”

They were saved. They would live. He would be going home!

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy had her suitcase open on their bed, she had moved her trip to London up a couple of days, no way was she moving the court appointment to make Nahele forever and legally her son. Not for anything - especially not a stupid budget meeting.  She cursed Steve for being called out on a case in the middle of the ocean right now. She really needed him here, her fucking winter clothes had moved to the highest shelf in their closet. With a frustrated sigh she gave up her little jumping exercise, the only thing she managed to achieve was to push that box further to the back. Grumbling to herself she got the stepladder, Steve bought it after seeing her doing her little jumping dance once too often. Romy finally had the fabric box down on their bed and sifted through her woolly jumpers when her fingers brushed over another. It was dark blue, soft to the touch with all the washing, she trailed her finger over the collar of the hood. Oh god, how is it almost 3 years ago that she packed that sweater the last time? She still couldn’t believe that Steve hadn’t reported it missing yet. The ringing of the doorbell startled her out of the little trip down memory lane. Romy abandoned her not packed a suitcase and walked downstairs.

“Adam!” She opened the door wide, she hadn’t seen him in a while. Her smile froze, as she saw his face. “What happened?”

Romy needed to sit down, everything was swirling in her head. Did she hear right?

A virus let loose on a yacht.

The team getting infected.

No one had an antidote, except for the guy who let the virus loose in the first place?

Lou finding it in the 11th hour…

She sat down heavily on the stairs. Two voices suddenly filled the living room again. Romy looked up - when did Nahele join them? Was that Eddie nosing her leg?

“And what…what now?” She stuttered.

Adam squatted down in front of her, pushing the blonde Labrador to the side a little bit more “They are at King’s Medical. They need to be quarantined for a week or so to make sure the antidote worked.”

Letting out a strangled breath, Romy massaged her head as she asked “But they are ok, right?” Her voice was small, not wanting to jinx the answer. “I mean that is just a precaution, right? He..they…they’re fine.”

Adam shrugged, “That’s what I’ve been told. But the CDC doesn’t know the virus nor the antidote…”

“Ok. Ok.” Romy pushed her hands through her hair, then she stood up. “When will they be at the hospital?”

Adam checked his phone “In half an hour. The CDC is currently evacuating them from the boat.”

She nodded at him and turned to Nahele, who had gone white as a sheet. She gathered him in her arms for a soft hug “It’s going to be fine, kiddo. You heard Adam.” She could feel him nod against her shoulder. “Your Dad is way too stubborn to die, you know that.” That made Nahele chortle. Romy squeezed him once more to her, pinching his cheek to lighten the mood. “Moooom!” He tried to escape her hand, a smile fighting onto his face.

Mission accomplished.

“Love you, kiddo.”

That got her another smile, this time masked by an impressive eye roll.

“I guess I’m gonna get going.” Adam shuffled towards the door, no longer wanting to interrupt the family moment.

“Adam!” He turned around at Romy’s call. She still had her arms around Nahele. “Thank you!” He nodded courtly and closed the front door behind him.

It took Romy 15 minutes to pack Steve a bag, how convenient that she had an open suitcase laying right on their bed. Nahele had been tasked with getting things together for Junior.

“We’ll see you later, bud.” Romy pressed her face into Eddie’s fur, holding onto the dog tightly. Eddie whined at her words, putting his paw onto her leg. “He’s going to be fine. And I promise he’ll bring you a new toy the next time you see him.” Only that promise seemed to placate Eddie enough to let her go.

The procedures they needed to go through to get to the isolation Wing were immense, scrubbing their hands in antiseptic, masking up even though they would be separated by at least one or two windows. But finally, after the bags have been taken away from them for washing and scanning, they got to see them.

How they all stood lined up behind two walls of glass, waiting for them. Romy let Nahele go first at the intercom. She watched them both leaning against the glass from a couple of feet away. A knock next to her ear made her jump. A grinning Danny holding up a piece of paper. ‘You still got it bad.’

She shook her head at him fondly, pulling out her phone she typed in the note app. ‘Oh yeah.’

Then ‘I’m glad you’re alive.’

Danny smiled at that and mouthed “me too.” While scribbling ‘Grace & Charlie?’

‘Renee is bringing them any moment. She also got some clothes for you.’

Danny nodded and then looked away, unsure how to phrase the next question. Sometimes it just sucked to be a divorced Dad. This time a knock against the glass startled him. Romy pressed her phone against the screen. ‘They are staying with me for the next two days.’

He closed his eyes, his hand touching his chest, unable to convey his gratitude in any other way. Steve was a lucky bastard indeed.

“Hey, you.” Romy stepped over to the intercom.

“How are you?”

Steve question made her laugh. Did he just ask her that? “The Kiddo said things were a bit rough when Adam came over.”

“Well, it’s not every day you get told your husband got infected by an unknown virus and that the antidote was made by the same criminals. And no one knows if it will be working.” Romy shrugged, trying to play down the situation.

“I’m fine. We’re all ok.” Steve tried to reassure her, but Romy’s raised eyebrow told him that he wasn’t that successful.

“This one hit differently.” She let her head fall against the glass.

“Fuck.” Steve let out a tortured groan. “I want to hold you so bad right now.”

Romy let nodded against the glass, it was exactly what she needed as well. His arms were always her safe place. They both weren’t great with words, their communication with their touch was miles better. A ‘you got this’ squeeze of the hand, an ‘I love you’ kiss or a ‘you drive me wild’ tug of hair. Not being able to touch him, to feel him…

Steve itched to touch her, to waive his hands through her hair. Romy loved to have her hair played with, it calmed her. He pushed his hand against the glass, his fingers would sink right into her locks if that damned window wasn’t in the way. How would he survive a week without being able to feel her lips on his, without being able to hold her?

Their moment was broken as Charlie and Grace tumbled onto the hallway. With a sad smile, the two made space for the Williams’ using the intercom. Romy winked at Steve and kissed two of her fingers goodbye.

She sped up her walk when she saw Lou leaning against the wall a bit further down from the rooms. With a little hop, she put her arms around him. “Thank you! I can never thank you enough.”

Lou taken a bit surprised by Romy’s outburst, patted her back awkwardly “Ohana, Romy. Ohana.” He mumbled as an explanation, making her smile.

In the end, it always came down to this. Their Ohana was everything.

It was late getting the kids back home, they didn’t want to leave their respective dads. While Romy could relate, she didn’t look forward to a cold and empty bed either, it was a school night. Gosh, when did she turn into a responsible adult?

Now the kids were in bed, she had one more difficult conversation to have.

“I still don’t know why you wanted to see me, boss.” Ani played with the wineglass Romy handed her. “Telling me that Steve is in the hospital, and me moving some meetings for you, isn’t exactly shocking news. Nothing I haven’t done before.”

Romy laughed out loud, her assistant had her family life figured pretty quickly, now she was in for a shock. “You are not here to move my meetings but to move yours. I’m really glad I forced you to get a passport, 'cause you’re flying to London tomorrow evening.” She said with a bright and wide grin.

“To do what?”

“Present the budget for the hotels to the board.” Romy took a big sip of her wine, watching Ani’s face as the words sunk in.

“You’re crazy…did you get infected by accident too?” Ani stood up, pacing the length of the living room. “I can’t go! I’m your assistant Romy! They’re expecting you! I don’t even know…”

She couldn’t hold her laughter anymore.

“Nice that you find my perfectly justifiable breakdown funny.” With a huff, Ani sat back down.

“I find this incredibly funny because all of these aren’t reasons not to go.” She leaned forward a little. “You know the budget better than anyone and believe me those old, suited men…not many of them are smarter than you. They just hide it better.” That got her a snort. “Also, I want you to have a chat with James and Dinesh when you’re there. They’re still looking for someone to take my old job.”

“You…you want me to take your old job?”

“No” Romy patted her assistant’s hand, “I want you to do my job in a few years. If that’s something that you want to do, of course.” She added nonchalantly, stunning Ani into complete silence.

“You must have known that this was the plan?” Romy asked after a couple of moments of silence.

“I...I thought you wanted to recruit Camila?”

“Yes, for operations manager -“

“And what about you? You’re not leaving are you?” Ani interrupted her panicked.

“No, I’m not leaving. But I might go on maternity leave in a year or two and by then I want you to be able to take over. You ok with that?”

“Am I…am I ok with that?” Ani jumped out of her chair and hugged Romy tight. “Yes! To everything! I just never thought I could.”

“You’re going to be great.” Romy accompanied her to the door. “Pack your bag and have fun! I told James to show you around London.”

“Thank you for believing in me.” Ani hugged Romy again.

“Thanks for making it so easy.” She winked at her. Romy leaned against the front door, letting out a big breath. One thing down, two more to go, but those could wait until morning.

Tired she drudged up the stairs. She chuckled softly as she saw her bed already occupied by three children and a dog. She vaguely remembered tucking them all into their respective bedrooms. She took a picture and send it to Steve and Danny. Quietly she did her nighttime routine and slid into the small space left to her. Her bed was neither cold nor empty that night.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Over the next couple of days, they got into a decent rhythm. She and Nahele would meet up at the hospital each afternoon, before going home. Romy was prepping dinner on night 5 of isolation when Nahele hopped onto the kitchen counter next to her.

“What’s up, kiddo?”

“I decided which colleges I want to visit when we go after Christmas.”

Romy nodded, unsure what to say. Colleges had been a difficult subject. Nahele was unsure if he even wanted to go to one, giving Steve almost a heart attack. Not that either of them ever gone to one, but things were different now…as much as it pained her to say that. She hated when her parents would use that sentence.

“Ok.” She decided to say, a safe word.

“Michigan and Washington and of course Hawaii.”

“Ok.” Romy rolled her eyes at herself, did she have any other words available? “Can I ask what brought this on?” Congratulations, Romy - a full sentence this time.

“I…l…what happened with Dad and kinda what you said to Ani a couple of days ago.” Nahele shrugged, sneaking a piece of tomato off the cutting board.

The kitchen knife hovered in Romy’s hand, what had happened to her son, who thought working at the shrimp truck and surfing would be a great life plan?

“They offer some cool courses…biology and chemistry” he mumbled the last words.

“‘Hele?”

“I heard some of the doctors talking about the virus and how lucky Dad and the others were that there was an antidote…and the next attack would not be someone launching a rocket but a little vial of virus let go in a busy place…” he looked over at his Mom and shrugged nervously. Romy held his gaze, a soft smile grazing her face.

“I…I just want to help…do my bit. Like you and Dad. I want you to be proud…”

Romy heaved a big sigh, she disregarded dinner prep and hopped up on the kitchen counter next to Nahele. She let her foot bounce against his, making him look up at her, as he retaliated.

“You’re the only one that needs to live your life, ‘Hele. You need to be happy living it, not me or your Dad. We are always going to be proud of you. It doesn’t matter what you do, as long as you do it with passion.” She kicked his ankle again. “If this is what you want to do, we’ll support you.”

“The courses sound so cool…and it’s something with the future.” He made speech marks when he said future, it had been the word that Steve had used the most when they discussed colleges and possible fields of study.

Romy let out a laugh “well then, virology it is!” She pulled him into her side for a hug. “Love you kiddo.”

Her heart feeling suddenly lighter, so glad that Nahele finally found something to be passionate about.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Today was the day, Steve would finally be able to come home! With a big smile, Romy drove onto the hospital parking space only for it to slip right off. Police had cordoned off the whole hospital and was that…fuck that was the bomb squad!

She almost fell out of the car in her haste to get to the building, and it took her another 10 minutes to finally find an officer who knew her enough to let her through.

“No. No. No. No!” Lou rushed towards her. “You cannot be here, Romy!” He grabbed her at her shoulders trying to turn her around.

“Lou, you need to talk to me. What happened? Is Steve…”

“He’s fine.” Lou’s grip on her shoulders turned comforting. “Well, as fine as he can be being trapped in a room and a bomb.”

“What happened?” This didn’t make any rhyme nor reason.

He closed his eyes “someone breached the wing, locked the door with an explosive and then shot Danny.”

Romy didn’t have time to name all the emotions that flew through are at that. Horror. Shock. Anger. And for a very brief moment, relief. Relief that for once it wasn’t Steve that bore the brunt of the craziness that was 5-0’s lives.

“Junior and Steve are working on Danny right now until we get the bomb disarmed and a doctor in there. They are keeping him alive, but hun” he squeezed her shoulders again. “You can’t be here.”

”Lou. No! I need to…”

“You know, Steve wouldn’t want you within a 5-mile radius of this thing, neither do I.” He used his height to turn Romy around. “I will call you as soon as the bomb is disabled.”

“You promise?”

“Girl,” Lou cocked one of his eyebrows, “I pinky promise.”

Sitting in her car, she had no idea where to go or what to do. She couldn’t go home or work or to the palace. Her hand was shaking as she turned the key and the ignition on. On autopilot, she drove to the first place that came to mind. She sat cross-legged on the bench, her eyes stared at the stretch of beach in front of her. What hasn’t happened on that beach?

Steve kissed her here for the first time, on this very bench to be exact. She realised that Nahele was their son here too, that under no circumstances would they let him be with his dad if he didn’t want to. They had decided to get married only a couple of feet away. And now, she sat here. Worrying her phone between her fingers, waiting desperately to hear if after surviving a deadly virus, her husband would get blown up and if her brother in law would survive a gunshot wound.

What had her life become?

Romy had lost all track of time, as she watched life go on around her. She almost jumped out of her skin, as her phone vibrated in her hand.

“They’re free. Danny is in surgery.” Read Lou’s text.

 

——xx——xx——

 

When she saw him for the first time not behind glass, Romy swore there was a stupid Instagram filter applied to her vision. Steve is in the middle of the waiting room and around him floating hearts. In two seconds he had crossed the distance and scooped her up into his arms. She could hear the catcalls and wolf whistles from the room, but she didn’t care. Not when Steve clung to her the same way she did to him. He brought her face up to meet his gaze, his hands moved from her hair to her jaw.

“I lo” she got out before Steve slanted his lips over hers. At that moment they forgot the whole situation around them, the guys, Danny, that they still needed to find out who the fuck shot him. The only important thing was his lips on hers and that she finally could touch him again. They only separated when the air became a necessity. Romy took a step back, cataloguing his face. Steve’s beautiful face. It took her some precious seconds before she had her fill, but then she moved over to Junior and Tani, hugging them, making sure they were alright. Steve’s pinky finger always curled around her own, like he couldn’t stand not to touch her.

Romy leaned into him, while they waited for news, revelling in his presence. She couldn’t bear it either to be more than an arm's length away from him.

When the good news came that Danny was out of the woods, that they could go see him, a collective sigh of relief could be heard through the waiting room.

Steve and Romy trailed behind the others on their way to Danny’s room. Fingers interlinked, arms rubbing together.

“I know we’ve been apart for longer, but this was…” Steve shook his head, unable to find the right words.

“Horror?” Romy asked.

“Yeah, absolutely horrible and I not only mean Danny getting shot but” he looked over at her beseechingly, hoping she’d understand. How hard it was not to be there, in their house, in their life’s. Cut off behind walls of glass. Saying Goodbye through an intercom, and goodnight through a phone screen. No kisses, no sex, no hand in her hair. Just nothing.

“I know” her voice soothing his frayed nerves, her eyes mirroring his longing. She had missed him too, his steady presence, making goosebumps appear on his skin, the way he stood next to her when they got ready in the morning.

He stopped her before entering Danny’s room, dragging her down the hallway a few paces. Steve drew her in his arms “I missed you.”

“Schnuffi, you ok?” Romy leaned back a bit, his arms holding her, her hands on his cheeks.

Steve nodded and shrugged at the same time “I just need to hold you a bit longer.” He murmured into her hair.

“Hey, I ain’t letting you go anytime soon, and believe me we are locking our bedroom door tonight.” She winked at him saucily. “I’ve got plans for you, Commander.”

He let his head fall against the wall “Thank god!”

Their moment was interrupted by Adam “You two coming or what?”

“Ah, there they are!” Danny greeted them with a dopey smile. He was flying high as a kite with all the drugs they gave him. Romy leaned down to kiss him on the head and squeezed his hand. “Glad to see you alive.”

“Right back at you, but where’s the baby?”

Romy pulled back slightly, how high was he? “I won’t tell Nahele you called him a baby.”

“No. No. No.” Danny struggled to sit up. “You were pregnant, just a moment ago. You were huge!”

Romy raised her eyebrows unimpressed at the huge comment and Danny’s accompanying hand gestures. “Babes” she patted his arm, “I promise you, I’m not and haven’t been pregnant.” Romy could feel Steve’s hand on her neck, trying to comfort her a bit. It was a touchy subject for both of them. She looked at him over her shoulder gratefully, as she perched on the bed. “Why would you think that?” She asked Danny.

He furrowed his brow “We were at the restaurant, it was heaving with people. I was in the kitchen with Steve tasting a new dish, and you came in…” he rubbed his forehead to remember “No you waddled in like you were about to give birth. And he” Danny pointed at Steve “turned all Neanderthal - ‘What are you actually doing on your feet? I parked you at the bar on a stool with strict orders to rest.’ That obviously didn’t go down very well.” He said drily, making the room snort at Steve’s expense. “And then…then something came up on TV…oh…oh…a cop got shot…me….” his eyes moved from Steve to Romy and back “I really dreamed this?”

“I guess so.” Romy smiled “but it was a decent dream or?”

“Yeah, pretty decent,” Danny said quietly, his eyes focused on Lou, his second dream coming back to him. Grace and Will getting married - god he hoped that was a very distant future.

Romy looked over at Tani and rolled her eyes “And what’s with you?” She pinched her shoulder “Shoe’s off or feet off!”

“Ow!” The other woman exclaimed, holding her arm “That’s gonna bruise you know?”

“And it should! What happened to all of you in those days of quarantine, you lost how to function around other people?” Romy asked, catching a smug smile from Steve out of the corner of her eye. “And don’t worry we’ll discuss this fuck up of a haircut soon.”

Everyone burst out in laughter, efficiently dispelling the tension that still run high within all of them. Suddenly Steve’s phone rang, making the room jump in anticipation. It was Jerry - he had a lead on the mad man that shot Danny. The team filed out quickly, leaving Romy alone with Danny.

“So you and Steve planning to make my dream a reality soon?” Danny asked teasingly.

“Your nephew is becoming officially ours tomorrow” Romy teased right back.

“You know what I mean, Romy.” He poked her in the side, making Romy squirm.

“Well, Steve needs to win back his side of the bed from Eddie, but then I’ll see what I can do.” She grinned widely.

“That’s all I ask.” Danny held her hand in both of his. “I’m glad he found you.”

Romy pressed her lip into a tight smile, trying to keep the tears at bay. “Right back at ya.”

Chapter 49: L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N

Summary:

Summary: Life moves on, but never without some troubles
Warnings: none
Episode: Season 8, Episode 11 - 15

Notes:

Hello lovelies, 
How are you all?
It’s been a while, again I’m apologising and promising my updating schedule will improve. Season 8 has been pretty hard to write so far, the new characters are a bit hard to grasp and the time line makes very little sense. And home life has been difficult, so I took a two week vacation to recharge. But I’m happy to present you a new slice of Romy & Steve, we’re going to cover a lot of ground here to move the story along.
Thank you so much for your continued support to read my story, and all your support, comments and messages. You have no idea how much they mean to me.
Enjoy xx 

Chapter Text

“Hey!” Danny cheered as Steve, Romy and Nahele walked into his hospital room. “Look at you! All dressed up, all hail the newly minted McGarrett family.”

Romy cleared her throat at him. “Sorry, sorry!” Danny smiled “Erhardt - McGarrett family, I meant.”

“That’s right.” She grinned, bumping her hip into Steve’s.

“Now come here you!” Danny patted his bed for Nahele. “Show me the goods.” With a flourish, Nahele pulled out the framed copy of the adoption certificate. “Ah, a nice one, with a stamp and signature and everything.” Danny nodded approvingly, “But really? You took McGarrett as a name?”

“Danny!” Romy warned him, he and Steve could tease and goad each other as much as they wanted, but not in front of the kids.

He lifted his hands in surrender “I was just wondering why he didn’t double-barrel like you.”

“Yeah, yeah.” Romy rolled her eyes at him.

“So, when are they going to spring you out of here?” Nahele hopped onto Danny’s bed.

“Better be this side of Christmas,” Danny complained. “I’ve been here way too long.”

“You” Romy pointed at him “got shot and needed to be kept alive by him.”, she patted Steve’s hands that were folded over her stomach. “You’re staying as long as the doctor wants to and then you’re staying with us for a while.”

“Geez…Romy” Danny held up his hands “calm down.”

“You almost died” she beseeched Danny, a lump forming in her throat. “And despite your best efforts, I am incredibly fond of you and I’d hate it if you weren’t here to annoy me anymore.”

Danny looked up at Steve, hoping for some assistance. But Steve just shrugged. “I’m right there with her, man.” He squeezed Romy to his front. “Our life would be way too quiet without you.”

“Ugh” Danny pulled a face “I know when I’m beaten.” He let himself fall back onto his thin hospital pillow. “Now get out of here. You got something awesome to celebrate.” And that they did! Romy and Steve couldn’t describe the feeling when the judge announced that Nahele was officially their son, and it only amplified tenfold when he read out the family name Nahele had chosen.

Nahele McGarrett

It proudly proclaimed on their adoption certificate and his newly issued passport. Steve squeezed Romy’s hand, her eyes saying the same words his mouth couldn’t speak out loud.

“Where to Mr McGarrett?” Romy asked as she turned back in the car. Her feet were no longer in the torture devices she had chosen to wear to court but in flip flops. Steve and Nahele had shucked their jackets and ties as well, and Romy couldn’t help but lick her lips as Steve folded up his sleeves and his arm muscles flexed. She played with the gold pendant of her necklace, which nestled nicely in the asymmetric neckline of her burgundy shift dress. “The choice is yours, Nahele.”

“Where ever I want?” The teenager leaned between the two front seats of the car. He wanted to be sure he had complete free reign.

“Where you want,” Steve confirmed as he eased out of the parking space.

“The pub” he mumbled.

Romy turned around in her seat again “Kiddo?”

“The pub. I want to go to our pub.”

“You sure?” She wanted to make sure. “I can make a call and book us in any restaurant you want. And I promise dad is not gonna wince when he sees the bill.”

“I’m sure.” Nahele smiled.

“Ok,” Romy shrugged. It’s not what she would have chosen to celebrate the occasion, but if that was where Nahele wanted to go. “It’s just we go there all the time.” She tried once more.

“You took me there the first time we ever went out to dinner.”

Steve caught Romy’s fingers in his, squeezing softly, as he threw her a smile. “The pub it is, ‘Hele.” He grinned into the rearview mirror.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Steve groaned as he unlocked his front door, shrieks could be heard from the beach to the front garden. Where they ever going to have the house for themselves again? They had moved Danny back into his house only 3 days ago. Still on light duty, but his friend was aching to sleep in his bed again. Not that Steve could fault him for that - he’d miss his bed too, with the extra advantage of Romy being in it. He had wanted to ask where Melissa had been. Romy had stomped on his foot so hard when he had dared to ask the first half of the question, that Steve was sure she had broken his little toe and had not dared to ask again. Excuse him for wanting to know, why the woman who was so adamant that she loved Danny had not turned up in the hospital during quarantine or when Danny got shot nor had she visited him at their place. On the other hand, he was glad that she hadn’t come over, their house was bursting at the seams as it was with Junior and Danny taking up the guest rooms.

He had hoped for one night of quiet but those shrieks belonged to his niece. Mary and Joanie must have arrived for their Christmas holiday. With a sigh Steve pushed the door open, pasting a smile on his face. He stepped into the house and the mayhem his sister always managed to drag along. His time however his fears were unfounded. Mary had almost been scarily organised and even approved of Eddie as a new addition to the family, despite her aversion to pets. Eddie however had fallen in love with Joanie from the get-go, and the little girl responded in kind. Wherever the dog went, Joanie wasn’t far away. Even at night Eddie gave up his usual spot, the bottom of Romy and Steve’s bed, and settled down in front of Joanie’s travel cot.

“I miss my dog.” Romy bemoaned the third night of their visit. “I cannot believe he abandoned me like this.”

Steve pressed his lips together to stop the chuckle that was threatening to become full-blown laughter.

“What do you want me to do, gorgeous? Carrying him back here?”

Romy scrunched up her nose, contemplating his idea for a moment.

“Romy!” Steve exclaimed, she couldn’t be serious. Was she really jealous that Eddie had taken a shine to their niece? Instead of an answer, Romy buried her face into his chest, he could feel her shrugging slightly. He carded his fingers through Romy’s locks and used his leverage to draw her face up. She was pouting. “If you want to, I’ll do it.” Why was he such a goner whenever she looked at him?

She perched her chin on Steve’s chest, her nose scrunching slightly as she contemplated her husbands offer. “No…no…I’ll be a grown-up tonight.”

Steve could not hold in the chuckle now. “Don’t pout at me, gorgeous.” He groaned, when her expression shifted, his fingers massaging Romy’s scalp. “I’ll even reward you for behaving like an adult.”

“Oh?” Romy’s eyebrows raised. “And how do you plan to do that?”

“I’m sure I can think of something.”

Romy could practically feel his smirk on her skin, as his mouth moved from her ear to her collarbone, making her shiver in anticipation.

“I think, I like where you’re heading Commander.” She said breathlessly, as Steve sucked a sensitive spot right below her collarbone.

“I knew you’d come around to my way of thinking.” Was the last thing any of them said for a very long while that night.

——xx——xx——

Romy pulled the third sheet of sugar cookies out of the oven, adding another one straight away. Her eyes flitted over her ever-growing to-do list pinned to the fridge. Cookies are almost done, the living room is currently being decorated by Mary, Nahele on pick up duty of the hot food they need, while Joanie was smothering the cooled cookies in red or green icing.

“Pebbles!”

“Scheisse!” Romy shouted back, letting the hot tray fall onto the table. She did a little dance, sucking in her thumb, hoping she wouldn’t get a blister.

Joanie laughed so hard her whole body shook “Pebbles!”, she exclaimed again.

“What are you saying, lovey?” Romy crouched down to Joanie’s eye level.

“Pebbles. Just like Pebbles.”

“She’s been watching the Flintstone’s a lot recently.” Mary’s amused voice sounded from the doorway. “You had the Flinstone’s in Germany didn’t you?”

Romy looked at her sister in law confused, but then it clicked. “You are thinking I look like Pebbles Flintstone? The little kid?” She turned back to her niece.

“Hair. Pretty like Pebbles.” Joanie jabbed her finger into the messy and tiny topknot that Romy sported today, and which bopped precariously every time she moved.

“Pebbles is her favourite.” Mary supplied again.

“Really” Romy looked up to her, before turning back to Joanie. “Is that true, Joanie? Am I your favourite?” She tickled the little girl, making her giggle and wiggle away from her and then move back in closer. Romy buried her face in Joanie’s neck, as the girl wrapped her arms around her in a big hug.

“Auntie Pebbles.” She proclaimed, her sticky fingers on Romy’s cheeks, she stared intently at Romy. “My Auntie Pebbles.”

“That’s right, lovey!” Romy stood up, lifting Joanie out of the chair in the process.

“What’s going on here?” Steve appeared in the doorway next to Mary.

“Nothing much, just that Joanie has a new nickname for Romy.”

“Oh yeah?” Steve moved past his sister and into the kitchen, taking Joanie from his wife and using the move to kiss Romy hello.

“Hi Romy”

“Not Romy! Nuhu!” Joanie shook her head violently at her uncle.

“What? Of course, this is Romy. Your Auntie Romy.” Steve cuddled with Joanie.

“Nope. Not Auntie Romy.” Joanie pointed to Romy’s hair. “Auntie Pebbles!” She declared proudly and wriggled out of Steve’s arms to scramble off and find Eddie.

“Pebbles?” Steve wheezed out in between chuckles. “This is too good! I need to tell everyone. This is so going to be your new name.”

“You call me Pebbles one time and Eddie will take your spot in our bed indefinitely.” Romy pointed her finger at him, meaning business.

“Oh don’t be like that, gorgeous.” Steve hugged Romy from behind, his cheek right next to hers. “It’s too perfect not to use.”

“I mean it, Steve.” Romy leaned her head on his shoulder, “I don’t need the team to hear this and suddenly think they could call me this.”

“Ok, ok. Oh speaking of the team, we had some support from some of Junior’s friends today solving our case. I invited them to the party, hope that’s ok?”

“Veteran friends?”

“Yeah…”

“Of course, it's ok. The more the merrier.” Romy turned and pressed a kiss to his cheek. “You got a handle down here? I’m gonna shower and change.”

——xx——xx——

Not even an hour later their house was full of friends and family, Christmas Carols could be heard playing through the hidden speakers and everyone seemed to be in a good mood for once. The only people missing were Kono, Chin and Abbey - maybe next year, Romy hoped.

The eggnog and the mulled wine was flowing, and even the kids were not itching for once to leave to have a separate party. Romy hadn’t spent a minute in Steve’s arms since they opened the doors to their first guests, pulled apart by hosting duties and their fifty or so nearest and dearest.

“You can’t jump him here with so many people in the room,” Renee whispered in Romy’s ear making her cough on the mulled wine she was sipping.

“Thank you!” Mary appeared on her other side “That’s what I’ve been thinking the whole night. Shouldn’t you two be in the old married category by now? Where you drive each other crazy because of dirty socks and how to fold a dish towel or something.”

“Oh don’t you worry, we drive each other crazy.” Romy winked at Mary, making her sister in law to mime to throw up.

“Hey, excuse me, everybody.” Steve cleared his throat. “Uh... Um, hey, come on in here a little... Romy, Nahele? Where are you?” He beckoned his family to him in front of the fireplace. Romy grabbed Eddie at his collar and commanded him to sit, while she slung an arm around Nahele. “Yeah, come on in, guys. Grab your drinks.” Steve handed them both a drink, before his hand settled securely on her back, right underneath her shoulder blades, which her top had left bare. “Hey, listen, I just want to thank all you guys for coming out tonight. Okay? It means a lot to me.” He looked over at his family and added. “To us. And, uh, look, if we look around the room right now, there's a lot of familiar faces in here. But also gonna see a bunch of new faces, okay? And to the first-timers at the, uh, famous Steve, Romy, Nahele and Eddie Erhardt - McGarrett's Christmas Bash, on behalf of all of us, our deepest gratitude to you guys. Not just for what happened today, but for all of your personal sacrifices-- all right, defending this country that we all love. So thank you very much.” He lifted his cup for the toast. “It's our honor to call you guys 'ohana now. So welcome, and Merry Christmas.” Steve pressed a kiss to the top of Romy’s head, and another to her lips when she lifted her head. Her hand grabbing a fist of his shirt, not letting him go for a moment, their kiss lingering.

“Love you.” She murmured when they separated.

“Love you too.” His eyes were soft and full of love for the woman in front of him.

They were interrupted by Junior “Commander.”

“Hmm?” Steve wasn’t quite ready to let Romy go.

Junior cleared his throat, he needed Steve to know “Hey, thank you for that.”

Steve sighed, turning to him fully. Romy was still in his arms. “No, Junior. Thank you, buddy. If you hadn't had showed that initiative today, we probably wouldn't have caught those bad guys.”

“I'm always happy to lend a hand,” Junior said bashfully. Romy needed to bite her lip, the kid had no idea what was going to come next.

“Yeah, I know you are. That's why I got a little something for you.” Steve reached into his back pocket

“ I-I'm sorry.” Junior stammered “I didn't realize we were exchanging gifts.”

“No, we're not. It's not a gift. A gift is, uh... a gift's charity. This is something you earn.” With a flourish, Steve presented a brand new Five - 0 badge to Junior. “Oh, for real?”

Romy giggled quietly, Steve just fried Junior’s brain.

“No, I'm kidding.” Her husband deadpanned. “What do you think? Yeah, for real. Come on.” He still had the badge in hand, Junior seemed too scared to take it. “But, um... HPD training-- I-I haven't finished the course yet.”

“You didn't finish...?” Steve decided to play along. “Thought you guys told me he” he looked up directing his questions at the rest of the team “he finished the course.”

“This is...” Junior was still shaking his head.

With a sigh, Steve let Romy out of his arms and grasped Junior’s shoulder “Come on. Listen, you will finish the course, all right? But over the last couple of months, you've proven to me, you've proven to all of us that you're more than ready for that. So merry Christmas and welcome aboard.”

“Thank you, sir.” Junior took the badge carefully and tackled steve in a hug. The rest of the team swarmed around him offering him congratulations and in the case of Jerry a little wisdom. “Badge is heavier than you thought it was gonna be, isn't it?”

“You did good.” Romy kissed Steve’s cheek. She knew this was hard for him, first Tani and now Junior. This was the final nail in the coffin of the original team. “They‘ll always have a place.” He said almost more to himself than Romy. “I know” her thumb rubbing soothing circles on his hand, “and more importantly Kono and Chin know that too.”

“Thank you.” Steve squeezed Romy’s hand.

“Anytime.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

Their wonderful Christmas, with German Christmas Eve, American Christmas Day and the McGarrett Surfing Boxing Day were a distant memory to Steve as he returned dead on his feet in the first week of January.

“Today was bad” Steve sat next to Romy, his body sinking until his head nestled on her lap. “The rendition facility, Agent Fisher and his family murdered…Junior and then the whole thing with Adam.”

“I’m sorry, Schnuffi.” Romy’s finger played with his hair, before they started a soft massage on his face, her motion almost forcing him to relax. “You want to talk about it?”

Steve shook his head, opening his eyes for a second. Romy scratching his scruff made him close them again. “Wanna hear about your day.” He yawned.

So Romy did, told him little stories about her day, how fucking proud she was of Ani for landing the job she recommended her for. How Nahele and Eddie were learning little tricks to post on Instagram. Weaving their everyday life around him with her words, like she was swathing him in a blanket. So, he could forget for one moment that the person who killed agent fisher and his family, he squeezed his eyes shut, thinking about that little girl, wasn’t arrested or laying in a hole somewhere. Could forget about the Japanese mercenaries that hit the rendition facility and killed Shioma.

“Adam joined Five - 0 tonight.” His voice was gravelly in the quiet of their living room. “He is going to track down the new player.”

“Great one more person I need to worry about getting shot regularly,” Romy said drily.

Steve turned his head and burrowed into her belly, effectively hiding his grin. “You wouldn’t have it any other way.”

“Hey!” Romy poked his sides tickling him, making Steve giggle and trying to evade her fingers.

With a sigh, Steve heaved off her lap and held his hand out “Com on gorgeous, time for bed.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

McDanno’s was going to hell in a handbasket. First, the tools were stolen, then the money running out and the delays and now Danny had called in his uncle Vito for help. If that wasn’t a sign that this restaurant wasn’t going to happen she didn’t know what was.

Steve had been in a bad mood ever since the tools had disappeared. He and Danny had been arguing nonstop and even Pua coming clean on where the tools actually were -A family who lost everything through the wildfire last year - had not helped.

Romy had thought with Uncle Vito turning up, the tension would ease and his forehead would stop being in a permanent frown. But boy oh boy was she wrong!

First, she received a ranting phone call about people having no clue how dangerous sun exposure could be and then a slew of texts, how no one was supporting them, couldn’t see their vision and told them to fake a rat problem to get money from the insurance. Romy wanted to laugh, Vito seemed to be hitting every sore spot either Steve and Danny had. Oh, how she longed for the easy days when the only bone of contention was Steve’s driving skills and Danny’s pigheadedness. With these she could deal, she was a master at dealing with it, but the whole restaurant thing had her scratching her head and rolling her eyes. One day they were up in the sky with ideas and progress and the next it was all money troubles, opening dates and arguments. Romy hoped that Vito was being able to help them, to stop them from floundering, to finally get a move on.

A sharp pain in her abdomen stopped her musings abruptly. Romy shifted in her chair, trying to relieve the pain and bloating in her body. She checked her phone, nope her period wasn’t due for another 5 days.

“You ok?” Nahele leaned it against her desk.

“Yeah, sure. Why?” Romy tried to smile, it looked more like a grimace.

“You look kinda weird.” He bit off a piece of the chocolate bar he snatched off the desk.

“Thanks?” Romy commented drily, biting the inside of her cheek to stop another wince.

“Mama!” Nahele stepped around the desk when Romy pushed her hand onto her stomach to relieve the pain.

“I’m good, ‘Hele. Just some cramps.”

Nahele rolled his eyes at her excuse, they were certain things a son did not know. “When is Dad going to be home?” He changed the subject quickly.

“He’s still at the restaurant. Should be home for dinner though.” Romy checked her phone, looking at the latest Steve had sent her. “What are you cooking for us?” She tried to move his attention away from her pain.

“I thought Risotto?”

“That sounds wonderful.”

——xx——xx——

“Hello, McGarrett family! It’s your favourite crime scene cleaner!”

“Hirsch?” Steve groaned, this was so not what he needed tonight. “What are you doing here?”

“Well, I need some help from your lovely wife!” Hirsch brandished a folder from behind his back. “And..” he sniffed the air a bit “what smells so good.”

“Spring green risotto with asparagus.” Nahele stepped out on the lanai, holding a big serving bowl in his hand.

“Count me in!” Hirsch plopped down on the chair opposite Steve’s.

Steve glared at their new dinner guest, who just invited themselves for dinner? “Of course you are” he grumbled underneath his breath.

“Gerald!” Romy exclaimed as she stepped out herself. “When your text said urgently five minutes ago, I kinda expected you to wait for me to respond.” She kissed the top of Steve’s head and placed a bottle of beer in front of him, then she sat down herself.

“I was in the neighbourhood and there’s always good food here.” Gerard shrugged, smiling in thanks at Nahele who handed him a plate and cutlery.

Romy closed her eyes exasperated and chuckled in defeat. “Sure. Sure.”

During dinner, Gerald entertained Nahele with stories of his recent crime scenes and attempts to flirt with Romy to get a rise out of Steve. This had Romy in stitches as it got more outlandish by the minute, she leaned into Steve’s side trying to smother her giggles in his shorts, while Steve looked incredible unamused.

“Didn’t you like it?” Nahele pointed to Romy’s almost untouched plate.

“It was delicious, ‘Hele. Not much of an appetite all of a sudden though.” Romy pressed her hand into her tummy, trying to relieve the bloated feeling.

“You ok?” Steve brushed some hair out of her face, worried Steve had replaced the Neanderthal in a split second. Both not realising, that Gerald and Nahele disappeared inside taking the dirty dishes with them and giving the couple some privacy at the same time.

“Yeah, just coming onto my period I think,” Romy mumbled.

“Isn’t that a bit early?”

“I think my cycle is calibrating after being off the pill, my Gyn told me that could happen.”

“Ok,” he squeezed her neck comforting, pressing his lips to hers. “You go to your doctor if it gets worse?”

“I will.” Romy chased his lips for another kiss. “Now let me check what Gerald wants.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

“Where are you taking me?” Romy laughed as Steve pushed her carefully forward, his hands hovering over glasses. The last couple of weeks had been nonstop, going on college tours with Nahele, the restaurant and Uncle Vito, Lou’s heartbreaking story, and Romy’s still appearing cramps. They needed to relax, but a weekend away wasn’t going to be in the cards with both of their current workloads so it needed to be the next best thing.

“Can I open my eyes now?” Romy asked as situated her in the car.

“Hold on.” He rushed around the car and sat down in the driver's seat. He took a moment to look at her, really look at her. He could see that she was just as exhausted as he was. The dark eyes and her dulled skin speaking volumes of restless sleep and fast food. She had chosen to wear jeans and an off-shoulder top, that she made out of an old dress shirt of his. Her collarbones were calling out to him, and he pressed a kiss to the one closest to him, making Romy jump a little.

“Now you can.” He whispered against her skin.

“This is not one of our cars.” She turned around in her seat.

“You should have become a detective” Steve teased her for stating the obvious, earning himself a smack on the arm.

“Smartass.”

“This, gorgeous, is a classic Ford Mustang convertible. And we will take this car on a little joy ride, to a beautiful spot on the island for a picnic and discretionary activities.” His breath blowing over her skin, making Romy shiver out for a completely different reason than before.

“Lead the way Commander.” Romy lifted his face, so she could catch his lips in a deep kiss.

Steve eased the car out of the driveway and directed them away from the hustle and bustle of Honolulu and ‘Āina Haina. It only took Romy a couple of minutes away from the busy roads to relax, her feet dangled out of the open window and her head rested on his shoulder. Steve pressed a kiss to the crown of her head, his arm finding its way around her shoulder and playing with her hair.

“This is the best idea you ever had.” Romy sat down on the blanket, they had spread out in a little hidden spot in between palm trees with an unobstructed view of the sea.

“I’m glad to serve.” Steve finished unloading the massive picnic basket he’d brought. They gorged on delicious sandwiches, fruit and dessert, as well as a bottle of bubbly.  Once they had finished dinner, Steve pulled her in the space between his legs, pressing her back to his front. Romy let her hand glide down Steve’s arm until their fingers interlaced “it’s kinda creepy at the moment.”

Steve turned to her, how could she find this moment creepy? “What?”

“Not this moment here.” She placated his outrage with a soft kiss. “I mean everything bad that happened recently, didn’t happen to us. It’s creepy like we’re just waiting for the other shoe to drop.” Romy gnawed at her bottom lip. Steve brushed his thumb over it, making her release her lip. He brushed his lips over hers, soft kisses. A teasing flick of a tongue. The kiss trailed off as softly as it began, Steve kissed away from the corner of Romy’s mouth to the shell of her ear. “There won’t be another shoe that drops, we survived our dues. Now it’s time to be happy.” He nuzzled the spot right underneath Romy’s ear, making her sigh in contentment.

“I like the sound of that sound. It’s like one of these moments, that we take out again and again when things get hard again.”

“Well let’s hope it won’t be anytime soon.”

“I do agree with you.” Romy turned in his lap, their nose brushing. “How about we move onto the discretionary activities you mentioned.” She muttered and dragged her mouth over his. What started as a slow and sensual kiss, quickly moved into devouring each other’s mouth. Steve’s arms band around her, the scent of her perfume and skin mixed drove him wild, he swore he could taste it, as he ran hot kisses down her throat, making Romy mewl. She rocked in his lap, while he got to rid of her shirt and his hands on her breasts. “Touch me, Steve. I need you to touch me.” His voice was raspy with want, and her fingers were shaking as she pulled his T-shirt over his head.

“Gorgeous.” Steve breathed unsure if he meant Romy or how she looked lit on fire by the sunset behind her. He popped the first button of her jeans, trying to make good on her request. His hand splayed on her belly and was about to sneak inside of her panties when Romy let out a moan.

Startled Steve looked up, this was not a pleasure moan, this was a ‘fuck I’m in pain’ moan. “Romy?” Steve grasped her face, stopping her from almost toppling over.

“I’m ok” her words laboured, as she tried to get control of her breathing.

“The hell you are!” He pushed through gritted teeth “You’re in pain!”

“I just need a moment” Romy squeezed her eyes shut, another moan escaping her lips.

“No!” Steve pushed her off his lap and then scooped her up in his arms. “You’ve been telling me for weeks you’re fine, Romy.” He settled her back into the car. “You’re not fine, and I won’t be taking no for an answer anymore.”

He leaned over the console, his hands on her face, thumbs brushing away the stray tear “We’re going to the hospital.”

He put the car into gear and sped back towards civilisation. His eyes darting between Romy and the road constantly. She was curled into her seat, clutching on his right hand. Why couldn’t life give them one night, one damn night where they didn’t need to worry, where they didn’t need to fight.

His knuckles turning white on the steering wheel, as Romy squeezed his other hand in pain. “I love you.” She whimpered.

Steve lifted their joined hands to his lips, pressing a quick kiss to knuckles. What had she said not 20 minutes ago, a moment to take out when things get hard again? He thought of the way she fit against his chest, how her lips felt against his, how the way she made his heart skip a beat.

“I love you too,” He quickly looked down at her “We are still going to the hospital though, gorgeous.”

Chapter 50: The beauty of marriage

Summary:

Summary: Sometimes marriage is dates and flowers and sometimes it is helping your partner to the bathroom

Warnings: fluff

Episode: Season 8 - 16 & 17

Notes:

Hello, lovelies,

Happy 50th chapter! How and when did we get here?

Are you ready for some amazing fluff that hopefully buffers the underlying tone of angst in this chapter? I would call this a peak Steve & Romy chapter. I had ideas for these two episodes since I started writing this fic. I can’t believe we are finally here.

Thank you so much for all your support and encouragement- you have no idea how much it means to me!

Enjoy xx

Chapter Text

——xx——xx——

They had sat in the ER for a little while, before Steve’s insistent follow-up and constant badge waving made a harried doctor appear. It didn’t take longer than another hour before they were on their way back home.

Romy looked over at Steve, his knuckles white from grabbing the steering wheel.

“You want an out?” she asked.

His head whipped around so quickly, she was sure he pulled something in his neck. “What?”

“You heard me. You want an out?” Romy asked again. The vein on Steve’s forehead started to pulse as he turned right into their driveway. He put the car into park and turned off the ignition. With deliberate movements, he turned to her. “Are you out of your fucking mind?”

“Now you know how stupid that question was coming from you all those months ago.” she countered with a raised eyebrow.

“Gorgeous” Steve breathed out, his head resting on the steering wheel now. He turned to her, shaking his head. “You’re killing me.”

“You love me.” Romy leaned forward, wincing at the movement as she pressed a kiss to his forehead. With a soft smile, she smoothed over his pulsing vein. “They are going to do the surgery, then we’ll know more. It’s going to be fine.”

Steve’s eyes fluttered open at her caress “I just hate that you are in so much pain.”

“It’s temporary and for a pretty good cause, right?”

“Is it?”

“It is” Romy pressed her forehead against his, the gearstick pressing into her side once more. “We don’t know anything yet. Step by Step that’s what the doctor said.”

Steve nodded, his hands coming up to frame her face. He kissed her deeply. God, he loved her so much!

 

——xx——xx——

 

“Don’t argue with me, Romy.” Steve had crossed his arms and looked at her seriously. It was his Commander pose, as Romy teasingly called it. No one was able to make him budge when he crossed his arms, had that look in his eyes and cocked out his hip. “Bedrest, until surgery tomorrow.”

“That’s just so not fair” Romy pouted and fell back into her pillows. “The doctor didn’t say anything about bed rest.”

“The doctor told you to take it easy and not to drive with these strong pain killers. So it’s either bedrest or I’m getting someone from HPD to chauffeur you around the whole day.”

“Can I get Pu-“

“And you cannot get Pua, he’d just let you drive a squad car.”

“So not fair.”

Steve heaved out a sigh and perched back on the bed “Please, Romy. For me. Take it easy until I can drive you to the hospital tomorrow morning.”

Romy looked down at their intertwined hands and squeezed them, causing Steve to look up. His eyes were pleading, and worried, and a hue of guilt in them. Romy hated that expression on him. There was no need for him to blame himself. This was not his fault. It was just nature, being a dick once more. “Hey” she chugged his chin with her knuckles lightly, “You win. I’m going to stay here, but only if you promise that we go out for dinner tonight. You, me and ‘Hele. Deal?”

“Deal.” They kissed softly. Steve twirled her hair between his fingers, enjoying the silky feel of her locks. Both groaned in frustration as a phone vibrated close to them. “It’s not mine.” Steve grinned smugly, as Romy groaned once more. She patted around in the bed for her phone and closed her eyes in desperation as she read the email.

“Hand me my laptop, would you?”

“Take it easy.” Steve reminded her once more, his knuckles knocking against her forehead as if he was trying to morse code it into her brain.

“I promised didn’t I?” Romy made grabby hands when he held her laptop out of her reach. “Life doesn’t stop, just because we want it to.”

“Well, it damn well should.” Steve grouched as he handed her the laptop and got off the bed.

“Hmph” Romy scoffed “I’ll remind you of that when your phone ruins the next moment.”

Steve chuckled, she had him there. He took a step back, watching her balancing her laptop on her legs, trying to type on her phone at the same time as her laptop. He looked down when he could feel something scratch his leg. Eddie. “You take good care of her, boy. Alright?” he buried his face into the dog's fur for a moment. Eddie answered him with bark and jumped up on the bed. Steve watched as Romy abandoned whatever she was typing on her laptop to scratch Eddie in his favourite spot and answered a call.

She was so hot in boss mode.

Two long strides brought him back to their bed, he tilted her face to his and kissed her passionately. After a second or two he let go of her and hightailed out of the room, she stuttered a response to the caller making him smile. He could still make her forget everything with a kiss.

 

——xx——xx——

 

“It's a missing person case.”

“Why do you need us to go undercover?”

Steve listened only with half an ear as Tani and Junior tried to get out of the undercover op. He looked at his phone, Romy had sent him a picture. She and Eddie in bed, a cup of coffee in her hand. ‘Getting sustenance was allowed, right?’

‘Wiseass’ he typed back with one hand.

“Because HPD already questioned everybody at that place, okay, and nobody said anything. The point is this. They... these people, they don't talk to anybody unless you're part of their little stupid clique. They gossip. They talk behind each other's backs. You understand?” Danny explained the situation. Steve rolled his eyes, the young ones were still arguing. What did they think this task force was? A debate club?

“Here's the thing. We're going to insert you two. You're gonna pose as prospective parents. You're gonna go to a couple of events, see what you can learn.” His tone was serious.

“See, all due respect, Commander,” Junior stuttered out, he wasn’t used to Steve driving such a hard bargain. “I'm just worried that no one gonna believe that we're someone's parents.”

“Maybe they'll believe it for you, but I'm far too young to be anyone's mother.” Tani jumped on the same train of thought. “And wouldn’t it be better if it was you and Romy? I mean you’re already married and well it’d be so much more believable.”

Steve raised his eyebrows at Danny. The kids didn’t really just say that? “First of all, you going undercover wasn’t an ask. It was an order. Copy?”

“Copy.” Junior nodded quietly.

“Second, Romy is on medical leave at the moment. Third, I’d never let her anywhere near this.”

Steve shook his head and said in a mix of tiredness and impatience when he noticed they were standing at the table “What are you still doing here? Go!”

Silence followed the hasty exit of Junior and Tani.

Danny crossed and uncrossed his arms a couple of times. Unsure how he should approach the obvious bad mood Steve was sporting. He leaned forward “Babe. Do you want to tell me what’s going on? You…” Danny scratched his head “I can’t believe I’m saying this” he muttered. “You are usually a bit more chill with the youngsters. Is Romy ok?”

Steve braced himself on the computer table, his head hanging low “I needed to drive her to the ED yesterday.”

“What?” Danny asked, agitation seeping into his voice. “And you’re only telling me this now? Why are you even here? Shouldn’t you be…”

“She’s at home - resting. We need to go back tomorrow for a laparoscopy”

Danny’s eyes were wide as he listened to Steve’s explanation.

“They found a cyst, and well they’re doing some other tests on a condition she might have.”

“Ok. Usually, I don’t mind when you’re being cryptic, but this is taking it a bit too far. A cyst? Does that mean” he swallowed “mean cancer?”

The air almost vibrated around them when Danny said that word.

That dreaded word.

“Steve…” he nudged carefully when his friend wouldn’t answer.

“No, it's not cancer. At least they don’t think so. They’ll run some tests on the cyst. It’s a little more complicated than that. Look,” Steve tried to smile, trying to appease Danny’s worries, “we don’t know anything yet, ok. They do their thing tomorrow and then run some tests. Once we have that we can make an educated decision about worrying.”

Danny bit his lip “Is that what Romy told you, to stop you from spinning out?”

“Yep!”

“Is it working?”

“No.” Steve pushed back from the desk “And now I’m going to phone my wife to make sure she rests.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

Oh god. Steve had thought handing this case to the kids, would ease his current stress levels. After copious money requests and now even budgeting for dresses, he wasn’t too sure anymore. He listened to Lou and Tani going back and forth about budgets and how Samantha had already blown through hers.

“Yeah, well, good beer ain't cheap.”

He lowered his head at Tani’s comeback. It wouldn’t be half as funny if it hadn’t been true. Romy had guided Samantha through the alcohol on offer at a party, to make sure she didn’t get a hangover from all the sugary concoctions there.

Danny interrupted Tani’s poor attempt at damage control with Lou, with an update on the case. Steve contemplated for a second to relieve Tani and Junior of undercover duty but then thought better of it “Hold that thought. I got a better idea-- I'll ask Duke if he can commit some HPD resources to that. 'Cause I need you two at that fundraiser. That's where we need to be if we're gonna narrow down that suspect pool and gather more Intel.”

Tani’s face couldn’t decide if she’d rather go to the fundraiser or spend the night trailing through thousands of hate emails.

“All right, I'll call the governor, requisition some funds for this auction.” Lou pulled out his phone and turned to leave the office when Tani overcame her dilemma and shouted after him “Oh, would you also ask if they would spring for a new cocktail dress for me? Because I have nothing in my closet that would suggest ‘soccer mom’.”

Lou turned around quickly with a “Hell no.” And then was out of the door.

“We'll try not to bid on anything expensive, sir.” Junior tried to set Steve at ease.

Oh these kids, they still got a lot to learn. “No, no, you can bid. Go ahead and bid. Just don't, uh... don't win.”

“Still doesn’t solve my dress issue,” Tani grumbled.

“Sir?”

“Anything else Junior?”

“Yeah, I mean. Are we only doing this cause Romy is sick?”

“What do you mean?”

“I know, she helped out in the past. And this seems way less dangerous than anything before.”

“I would have not put Romy in a room with this woman. Sick or not sick!”

“Why?” Now Tani leaned forward as well.

“Romy is full-on public school. I ain’t getting her in there just so that she can jump onto her soapbox. I couldn’t convince her to play sending our fake kid to Private school if I tried.”

“She was dead set against marriage too and you managed to convince her twice.” Danny bumped his shoulder.”

“Yeah, not on this.” Steve shrugged “I learnt to pick my battles and I agree with her. So kids you’re up.” He nodded at them.

Tani started to smile very sweetly all of a sudden “Do you think I can filch Romy’s closet? I still got nothing ‘soccer mom’ish.“

He laughed out loud, he so wanted to be there when Tani called Romy a soccer mom. “Only if you promise me to call her that.” Steve almost gratulated himself, two birds with one stone. He won’t need to explain a dress on an expense account and someone would check in on Romy. Someone that wasn’t him. He had promised to no longer check-in today, during his 5th call this morning.

 

——xx——xx——

 

“Romy?”

“In the bedroom!”

Romy sat up slightly in bed, making Eddie move with her. The steps got more hesitant the nearer they came to the bedroom. A soft knock on the door, before Tani, sneaked her head through. “You ok if I come in?”

“Of course!” Romy laughed and waved her in “How else are you going to sort through my closet?”

Tani closed the door softly behind her and followed Romy’s outstretched arm to the walk-in closet. “Left-hand side is mine.”

“So not the closet I expected.”, Tani said after a couple of minutes of pulling hangers out.

“What did you expect?”

“I don’t know. Some more flower prints, cocktail dresses. Not clean lines and…well just a little bit more soccer mom.” Tani’s headshot out of the closet when she heard Romy yelp. Steve was going to kill her if Romy felt worse while she was there.

“I take offence to that,” Romy said indignantly. Eddie copying her put out expression to a T. “But Steve told you to call me that, right?”

Tani shrugged sheepishly, turning back into the closet. Romy’s closet was full of Linen shirts and trousers, interspersed by Mid-length skirts and dresses in emerald green, all blue tones under this earth and purples. Once in a while pink, white and black would be thrown in. Not what she expected at all.

She was so in her own mind that she jumped when Romy asked “You find something?”

“You got anything that’s not the colour of a jewel?” Tani turned around to Romy. “And something that ain’t sharp or cool?”

Romy held her stomach as she laughed. “I don’t know if I should find this insulting or not.”

Tani shot her a small smile.

“You do know I’m only 31?” Romy asked her as she sorted through the closet now herself.

“I think...I sometimes….sometimes I forget.” Tani admitted. “You have this kid, and this husband and well everything in your life is sorted.”

Romy closed her eyes, snorting when she heard, that she had her life sorted. “I married my husband because we needed to. I was supposed to be deported. I got my son, cause the state was going to send him to live with his murderer of a sperm donor. Half of the time I’ve got no idea if I’m a decent wife or Mom. And don’t even start with my job, ok? Let’s just say, I slid into it and well it’s intimidating as hell sometimes.” Romy bit her lip, afraid she had said too much. She had not meant to unload her fears onto Tani. Imposter Syndrome can be a real bitch sometimes.

“Why are you asking?” She kept her back to Tani, all of the team shared one specific trait. Someone looking at you when you admit a weakness was not working.

“It’s just this is the first time I and Junior have been taken the lead on a case. I don’t want to mess it up.”

“I feel that. Look, I appreciate that you got big shoes to fill and that it can be quite intimidating. Hearing all the stories, living in that shadow a little bit.” Romy bumped Tani’s shoulder, making the younger woman look up at her. “However, don’t think for one second Steve would have signed you and let you continue to be on this task force if he didn’t think you could cut it.” Romy pulled out a dress from the back “he doesn’t stand for incompetence, so don’t talk yourself into it.” She turned to Tani, who was still contemplating her black V-cut jumpsuit. “I think this would be appropriate.” Romy thrust a dress at Tani. It was yellow with a flower print. “I got it as a gift last year. Not my colour or my size” she said while sending an apology to her parents “but it should fit you and your purpose perfectly.”

“Thanks!” Tani clutched the dress to her chest.

“You’ll need to let me borrow that jumpsuit though.” She held up the fabric and Romy recognised it as the low cut black jumpsuit she wore 2 Valentine’s ago.

“Of course. It does exactly what you want it to do” she teased Tani.  “I let you get changed.” Romy excused herself out of the closet and readied some jewellery on the sideboard, before settling back into bed. Eddie had warmed her spot for her, she buried her face in his fur gratefully.

“I won't say you look great” Tani stepped out of the closet, stepping over to the Jewellery Romy had laid out and pulled a face at the other woman. “Cause I don’t want to insult you. But this dress achieves what you want.”

“Thanks, Romy. I mean it.”

“Tani!” She called out, as the young woman got ready to leave. “If you’re ever worried about cutting it…my old manager shared a little advice when I was doubting my ability” she waited for Tani to look at her fully. “Fake it till you make it!”

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy could hear Danny’s ranting all the way to the door of the 5-0 offices. “Bribing a public official? Seriously? Something you want to say?”

“Yeah.” A deep drawl answered. That must be Uncle Vito “Thanks for paying my bail. Okay, look. I messed up. I know. But I can't be expected to carry all the blame. I mean, what the hell are you guys thinking anyway? Opening up a restaurant? That's a terrible idea. And then add to the fact that you two know less than nothing about the business. 'Cause if you did, you'd know it's a full-time, back-breaking grind just to squeeze out a few bucks profit.”

Romy’s eyebrows rose as she inched closer, who’d have thought she’d share an opinion with Uncle Vito. “Not something you do on the side, you know, like some kind of a hobby, because you think you know a thing or two about good food. You know, any schmuck who watches the Food Network, thinks he's an expert. But you're not special. You're not even average. And when it comes to stuff like this, you're terrible. Okay? At least with me around, you got a fighting chance.”

Romy started clapping slowly when he had finished his speech. The three men turned to her. “That’s what I have been saying for the last year.”

“Finally!” Uncle Vito exclaimed and rushed over to her “And who are you, lovely lady.”

“That” Steve’s hand clasped down hard on Vito’s shoulder. “Is my wife.” He pushed himself in front of the other man, reaching Romy first. He leaned down and kissed her. “Who should be at home on bed rest.”

“You know, just because you tell me I’m on bed rest, doesn’t count” Romy pulled him down by his shirt for another kiss “you are not my doctor.”

“Guys, please!” Romy could practically hear Danny roll his eyes, as he scolded them for their public display of affection.

“Oh please,” she scoffed “you’re just mad that someone backs me up.” She held her hand out to Vito “I’m Romy, it's so nice to finally meet you.”

“The pleasure is all mine.” Vito dialled up the charm. “So you have any kind of experience with restaurants?”

“Well,” Romy shrugged “I lead the commercial team for a bunch of hotels and restaurants on the island.”

Vito stared at her for a second before slapping the back of Danny’s head.

“You have a girl in the  industry and you’re asking for my help?”

“Ouch” Danny rubbed his hair, before turning around “Yeah, Steve why are we not asking Romy for help?”

“Because ‘Romy’” she referred to herself in the third person as well, a little bit of acidity in her voice, “ said she wouldn’t help, cause you ain’t listening to her anyways.”

“I like her.” Uncle Vito crossed his arms, grinning smugly  “Why didn’t she marry you instead of him?”

“Cause he didn’t want to come with me to Kamekona’s the night we met.” Steve pulled Romy into his side.

Danny hung his head, “Uh, wow. I think this has been a very interesting learning experience” he tried to finish both of the previous conversations. “and one that we should probably put behind us now.”

“So you're saying I'm fired?” Vito looked at him. To Romy, he sounded almost relieved at the prospect.

“The thought had crossed our mind. What I'm saying is, that since you so accurately diagnosed just now where and how we're going wrong, that you should stick around and help us get it right.” Steve said gravely.

“Nobody was gonna fire you.”

Steve shook his head at Danny’s sentence “That's not true.”

“Okay, it doesn't matter. It's behind us. It's in the past. Come over here.” Vito took almost getting fired, on the chin.

“Hug?” Danny asked as his uncle held out his arms.

“Yeah. Come on. Hey, You, too, sailor and Romy. Get in here.”

“As nice as this is” Romy wiggled out of the group hug carefully “The reason why I’m here is, that you” she poked Steve inside, making him let out a small squeak “are late for dinner. Our son is waiting downstairs.”

“Shit!” Steve checked his watch. “Let’s go!” He interlaced Romy’s fingers, ready to head when Vito’s What’s this? On the TV.” Stopped them in his tracks.

“What? What are you talking about?” Danny asked. Romy looked up closely on the TV, they had pictures of the guy who shot Danny up last year.

“This guy. I-I've seen this guy before.”

“Whoa, wait. When did you see this guy? Vito, Vito, are you sure about this?”

“Of course. I never forget a face. About two months ago, I go to this guy's house. Quoted him a bathroom remodel, you know? He talked my ear off, then, of course, I never seen or heard from the guy again.”

Steve had let go of Romy’s hand, stepping back to the computer table “Did you mention Danny to this guy?”

“Well, actually, I did, you know? He said he knew some guys on the Jersey PD, so I told him about how my nephew moved to Honolulu to become a cop in paradise.”

“Your Uncle Vito, that's how he tracked you here.”

“What, this guy, you know him? He's a friend of yours?”

“No, he's not a friend of mine. He tried to kill me.”

“Oh. And I told him where to find you. Oops.”

Romy almost laughed at this, her finger rubbing her forehead, trying to stop the wrinkles from forming. Steve was already typing on the table and Danny questioned Vito further.

“Steve” her voice was quiet, but it carried something in it that made her husband’s head snap up and turn around. They shared a long look. Romy closed her eyes, already accepting her fate of takeout in Steve’s office tonight.

“Go!” Danny interrupted their silent conversation. “There is nothing we can do anymore. The guy is dead. You had plans. Go.”

“You sure?” Steve asked twice before he believed him.

“Yes!”

“Mahalo, brother.” Steve grasped Romy’s hand and speed-walked them out of the palace.

——xx——xx——

They had settled in their usual spot at the pub, Steve had shared his portion of fries with Romy as usual and Eddie was the only dog allowed in the restaurant as usual. But why did this evening feel slightly off?

“You want to tell me what’s going on, or will I need to guess?” Nahele couldn’t stand the tension anymore.

They shared a look, damn this was never good. “Listen Nahele” Romy started, her hands fidgeting. That’s when he noticed - they weren’t holding hands! “Are you getting a divorce?” He blurted out.

The silence that followed his question, was almost tangible, it wafted around them.

“What?” Romy asked when she realised that Steve was too shocked to form any kind of response. “Kiddo, no. Why would you think that?”

“It’s just the last two days have been weird.” Nahele shrugged.

“Nahele” Romy reached over the table, her hand laying on his. It was warm and soft - comfort. “We are not getting a divorce.” She squeezed his hand. “Copy?”

“Copy.” He nodded quickly.

“There is not going to be a divorce, Nahele. Ever.” Steve seemed to have found his words. His hand joined Romy’s and Nahele on the table.

“There is something we need to talk to you about though.” Romy started, and she leaned into Steve. His arm came around her shoulders instantly. His other hand squeezed hers.

“Dad took me to the hospital last night, my cramps were getting worse. They did some exams and found a cyst on my ovary,” Nahele pulled a face. No teenager wanted to know about their mother’s reproductive system. “Come on you’re 17, you can deal with the word ovary.” She chastised him softly. “I’m having surgery tomorrow to get the cyst removed and to run some tests on some other tissue that they found.”

“Surgery?” Nahele has gotten paler the more Romy talked.

“It’s Laparoscopy - minimally invasive. I will be back tomorrow evening. In and out.”

“What kind of tests are they going to run?”

“Several, trying to find out why I am having all these cramps.“

Nahele nodded and played with the label of his coke bottle. Romy snuggled further into Steve, pressing a kiss to the underside of his jaw. Silently thanking him for his support. They were both quiet, watching as Nahele worked through the information they had just thrown at him.

“Do you have any more questions, kiddo?” Steve prompted Nahele when his coke bottle had no label left.

“No” the teenager shook his head. “You promise me, this is a simple surgery. Right?”

“We promise.” Romy reached over the table to hug Nahele. “I promise.”

“Now to lighten the mood,” she said after she sat back down in her spot again “Why did Tani need to borrow a ‘soccer mom’ dress?”

Steve laughed at her indignation over the soccer mom term and launched in the tale of his day. How a missing private school headmaster turned into a shoot out with a drug cartel.

“And that’s why you are attending a public school” Romy surmised his story to Nahele, making her two men laugh.

 

——xx——xx——

 

The next morning Steve didn’t want to leave Romy at the hospital on her own, but his phone rang the moment he had checked her in with the nurses.

“Go, Schnuffi.” Romy was swinging her legs from her hospital bed, watching Steve pace and argue on the phone. “There is nothing you can do here in any case. My surgery isn’t until after lunchtime in any case. They ain’t allowing you on the surgical floor. You can pick me up here in the evening to wheel me out and take me home.”

He pulled his phone from his ear, pushing it against his chest “Romy, I’m staying.” He pinned her with a look that meant business.

“You are not.” She countered.

“Romy.”

“Steve!”

Steve hung up on the phone, interrupting Danny mid-sentence and sat down next to her. His hands moved through her hair to the back of her head. “Please don’t ask me to go.”

Their foreheads touching, her hands grasping his wrists, her thumb smoothing over the sensitive skin on the inside of his wrist. “They need you. This sounds like a horrible case. Please.”

“Gorgeous.” Steve sounded pained. “Are you sure?”

“Yes. I’m sure.” She pressed small kisses from his jaw to his mouth. “I’ve got my book, and my IPad with lots of my shows to catch up on. You’d just interrupt my viewing pleasure of Good Girls, in any case.”

“Romy.” he heaved a sigh.

“Hey, you pick me up tonight, and play me something on your guitar, if you’re still feeling guilty.”

“You got a deal.” His nose brushed Romy’s. Steve’s phone interrupted their moment once more, announcing more information on the case.

“Go!” She pushed him away with a smile.

“I love you gorgeous!”

“Love you too, Commander.”

——xx——xx——

Steve kept his promise, he picked her up in the evening, lifting her out of the hospital issued wheelchair and seated her in the truck. At home he carried Romy up the stairs, ignoring her complaining and settled her in their bed. He had just helped her into her PJ’s, as Nahele knocked on the door with water and Romy’s prescribed painkillers. He snuggled down with his Mom in the bed, joined by Eddie not two seconds later. Steve smiled at his family.

His permanence.

His stability.

“I think you owe me something, Steve.” Romy gulped down the rest of the water after taking her pills. With a smile, he pulled out his guitar from the sunroom closet. He leaned back against the foot of his bed, adjusting his guitar. “Any requests?”

——xx——xx——

It had only taken two songs for Romy to be completely zonked out, snoring softly under the power of her prescription.

“She really ok?” Nahele asked as he followed Steve downstairs for dinner.

“Yes, the surgery went well, and now we just have to wait on the test results.” Steve pulled out some vegetables from the fridge.

“Dad?”

Steve froze at Nahele’s tone of voice, he hadn’t sounded that scared in a long time.

“Mom isn’t going to die is she?”

“Oh, kiddo!” Steve pulled his son in a big hug. “She isn’t going to die. I promise you. She isn’t going to die.”

“Ok.”

“Hey” Steve hated how unsure Nahele sounded. “ Have I, has your Mom, have we ever lied to you?”

“No.”

“We’re not lying to you now. The doctors have a pretty good idea, what it is. A condition called endometriosis. It’s not fatal, but it’s a chronic disease.”

Nahele made a pained sound at that.

“Hey,” Steve hoped his voice was calming and portraying the turmoil he was feeling for the last 2 days. “She is going to be just fine. I won’t have it any other way.”

——xx——xx——

Steve drudged up to his bedroom shortly before midnight, the talk with Nahele had upset him more than he wanted to admit. Especially after the case, they had today. Reviewing the files, after dinner had not helped to ease his anxiety at all.

He checked into Nahele, a happy smile stretched over his face when he saw that his son still managed to find some decent sleep tonight. He knew it wasn’t going to be happening for him.

Romy was asleep too, a wall off pillows stopping her from assuming her usual side and tummy way of sleeping.

Eddie’s jumped off the bed when he heard Steve rummaging in the bathroom for his sleeping tablets. “Hey buddy” Steve scratched the dog’s head. “Not normal for you to leave Romy alone, especially when she’s not feeling ok.” Eddie butted his head against Steve’s leg, making him sit down properly, letting the pooch find his spot between his legs.

“It’s been a day, or maybe two, huh? How can so many things fit into 24 hours.” Eddie whined at him softly, and Steve continued the petting of Eddie’s sides and his story. How bad he felt for leaving Romy at the hospital, how scared he was of the possibilities and the test results. How close this case hit home today. “They were just normal guys trying to get justice against a corrupt corporation that poisoned their families.” He launched in the rest of the tale.

Romy steadied herself outside of the bathroom, she didn’t mean to eavesdrop, but she needed to use the loo. But once she heard Steve’s tortured voice she couldn’t help herself. She knocked and opened the door slowly when Steve’s voice ebbed away.

“Hey Schnuffi,” she announced her presence.

“You should be in bed” Steve greeted her.

“Needed the toilet”

“Oh, sorry!” Steve scrambled up from his position. Eddie followed his lead. “Shout when you’re done and I carry you back. You shouldn’t be walking.”

Romy stroked his cheek as he passed her “I will.”

It didn’t take long for Romy to shout out for his help. Carefully he lifted her from the toilet and pulled up her panties and PJs “The beauty of marriage, right?” She murmured into his chest.

“Any day - every day, gorgeous.” Steve lifted her and walk to over the sink so she could wash her hands.

They laid in bed, Steve replacing one side of Romy’s pillow wall when she murmured his name.

“Yeah?” His hands never stopped gliding through her hair.

“Today was a hard day.”

“Yeah.”

“Just because you confide in Eddie, doesn’t mean you can skip your therapy sessions.”

“I’m talking aren’t I?” Steve answered with a little laugh, he was busted.

“To a qualified therapist, Steve!” She countered. “I can’t remember forking out for Eddie’s degree.”

“Peer to peer therapy is incredibly beneficial, Romy.”

She leaned back in his hand, her eyes holding his “I love you.” Trying to portray with her words that he could never tell something that would make her walk away, that she would always worry about him, that she would always be there.

Steve nodded, his lips finding hers. Telling her that he understood, that he loved her too. That he wouldn’t leave either, they could tackle everything together. “The beauty of marriage” he repeated her words before he finally succumbed to sleep.

 

——xx——xx——

Chapter 51: A hard day’s night

Summary:

Summary:  It’s been a hard day, lets make this a couple of days for Steve and Romy.
Warnings: Endometriosis
Episode: Season 8 - 18, 19 & 20

Notes:

Hello, lovelies,

I’m back with a new chapter and another apology for the delay. Again. But this time, I have the best excuse. Are you ready for some news?

I have started recording The Romy Files as an audiobook/podfic. You will be the first to know when I am posting the first chapter. I am so excited about this...I listen to audiobooks every single night to fall asleep, so this has been a little dream come true.

Your support in subscriptions, comments and kudos have been amazing. Thanks so much!!

Enjoy xx

Chapter Text

“So how does it feel being out and about again?” Danny’s hand hovered over Romy’s back, ready to catch her should she need it.

“It feels pretty great.” She grasped Danny’s forearm tightly, as she stepped over the footpath’s ledge. “Still feeling a bit sore but the doctor finally cleared to resume my life.”

“And you interpreted life with shopping?” “Well, You sounded like you needed an out from the office and you’re my favourite shopping companion.” Romy squeezed Danny’s arm in appreciation.

“I’m glad to provide.” Danny grinned, “that fire inspector and your husband were giving me a heart attack.”

“That’s nothing new.” Romy rolled her eyes at Danny behind her, as they stepped into the first shop. “The inspector giving you a hard time?”

“I make you a deal” Danny offered “you won’t ask about the fire inspector and the restaurant and I won’t ask you about the test results.”

Romy leaned over to kiss his cheek with a quick peck “You got yourself a deal, Williams.”

They spent a couple of minutes browsing the store in silence.

“Can I ask you a question?” Romy turned around to Danny.

“The left one”, he answered straight away.

“Huh?”

“The left one,” he pointed at the two dresses in her hand “goes better with your style at work.”

Romy grinned and squinted at the two dresses “you’re right,” she said after a moment of contemplation, “but that was not what I wanted to ask.”

“You ready to get out of here?” Danny avoided her question once more, he had seen how Romy had deflated at the prospect of trying anything on.

“Yes, please.” Romy smiled gratefully. She had enough, her incisions had been smarting a little bit from standing and moving a lot more than she had done for the last two weeks. “Can I interest you in a cup of coffee and a Malasada?”

“You just want my undivided attention so you can drill me about Brooke.”

Busted! Romy shrugged sheepishly. “Once I got you sitting down, you can’t escape me anymore.” She reminded Danny teasingly of his attempts at dodging her question the whole afternoon.

“Steve still thinks I’m made out of glass.” Romy announced, as they left the store.

“The Neanderthal came out?” Danny asked with a knowing grin.

“Oh yeah, he didn’t even allow Frank to stay with us.”

“Frank. Frank Bama is in town?” Danny turned to her.

“Yeah, didn’t you see him in the office last Saturday?”

“No, I was with Brooke ...”

“Oh Danny, shit. I can’t believe I forgot.”

“You had enough going on over the last couple of weeks, babe.” Danny squeezed her hand once more. “I just can’t believe I missed Frank’s bare feet in the office and the two kids going off on patrol.”

“Not to forget, Adam getting arrested for murder and we found out that his half-sister was the mastermind behind everything,” Romy added cheekily. The last two weeks had been a whirlwind. Steve’s eyes had been haunted when he came home that day. He hadn’t talked much, just showered and crawled into bed with her. He held her close that night.

 

——xx——xx——

 

“Steve?”, sleepily Romy turned around in bed. Her husband sat unmoving on the edge of their bed. His shoulders shook with hitched breaths.

“What happened?” Romy leaned up behind him, her arms snaked around his shoulders.

“Adam…” Steve let out, his voice unsteady. It wasn’t in fear or anguish, it was the disbelief of what had occurred today. The tightening of Romy’s arms prompted him to spill his day. How well it started with Frank and the guitar he got him. “It's a beautiful piece of art, Romy. Can’t wait to play it for you.”

“I can’t wait to hear it” her lips brushing against his cheek. He told her who Adam got arrested. How they thought Jessie set him up, but in the end, it turned out to be an elaborate plot of Adam’s half-sister that no one knew about. Steve’s whole body depleted into Romy’s.

“Sometimes it feels like our life has become a  telenovela. Long lost mothers, unknown half-siblings, revenge shootings.”

Romy felt for him deeply, the last couple of years had been a whirlwind, their relationship included.

“How about, after we sent Nahele off to college, we go away for a bit?”

Steve had followed Romy’s lead, settling down on their bed. His head resting on her chest, her heartbeat strong in his ear. Her hand stroked over the expanse of his back before they disappeared into his hair. “What is a bit?”, he asked, as his hand slid over Romy’s side and tummy, carefully avoiding her incisions.

“More than a week, less than a month. We could see Chin and Abby in San Francisco, head down the 101 to LA see Mary and Joanie.”

“Make a baby” Steve embellished her travel plans. He could feel her suck in a breath.

“Make a baby” she confirmed, with a wobble in her voice after a moment. Steve could feel her smile against the top of his head. They weren’t going to give up - no matter their chances.

“Sound perfect!” A picture of him and Romy driving the famous highway in a vintage convertible. He was sure Lars could recommend them a good one. Stopping in classic Motels. Making a baby. The more he added onto his mental image, the surer he was. They need to do it. With a smile he hadn’t thought possible an hour ago, Steve fell asleep.

 

——xx——xx——

 

“So you guys are actually going to take a holiday when Nahele is off to college?” Danny played with the teaspoon that came with his coffee.

“We’re going to try.”, Romy scaled down his excitement. Her own one too, if she was being honest.

“You wanted to ask me a question.”, Danny threw her a bone.

“Yeah.” She sipped gingerly at her flat white. “After you and Rachel divorced, why didn't you try to find Brooke?”

Romy looked at Danny steadily, his head shot up and he coughed up some icing sugar. “What?”, he wheezed out.

“From what you and Steve told me about the whole situation, it sounds like she’s the one that got away.”

It was almost like watching a car crash, Romy couldn’t look away from Danny’s face, as her words sunk in.

“I…I…I…”

“You never thought about her this way?”

“I don’t know? Maybe?” Danny’s mind was racing. “She had so much going on in her life back then.”

Romy’s hand squeezed him softly.

“I didn’t want to pile on…be that guy. And then - Rachel literally rammed into me on the same day. And…it was easy and uncomplicated…at first.”

“You mean, before the divorce, custody issues and a secret child?” Romy quipped, trying to bring some levity to their conversation.

“Yeah.” Danny agreed, his eyes looking over her shoulder. His gaze was far away, halfway down memory lane.

“You think you gonna follow her now?” Romy pulled him out of his thoughts.

“You want me to jump on a plane?” Danny’s shriek got the attention from the table around them. Romy threw a small smile at their table neighbours in apology.

“I want you to make a phone call” She looked over her glasses at Danny, relieved to see he was calming down. “I want you to call her, and ask her if she’s on the same page as you.”

“You think?”

“Yes.” Romy popped a little bit of the Malasada in her mouth. “You need an adult relationship, Danny. You don’t want to be the Dad who dates women only a couple of years older than his daughter.”

“That hurt, McGarrett. That hurt.”

“Truth hurts.”, Romy raised her eyebrow in a silent challenge. Danny heaved sighed and raised his coffee cup in agreement. He knew when he was beaten.

“Now” he started after they had devoured another Malasada, “I won't force you, but Steve’s been running around with aneurysm face for weeks now. He won’t say anything, just grunting when asked, but he’s starting to scare the kids.”

“It’s ok” Romy took a deep breath, she knew that she’d needed to share with Danny. Steve’s mood must have been a brunt to bear. “It’s endometriosis.”

“What?”

“It’s tissue that grows outside my womb. It’s painful. Me taking the pill actually stopped me from experiencing too much pain, and then when I got off…” she shrugged. “The tests have shown that’s most likely the reason why we haven’t….” Another shrug, as she trailed off. Hoping that Danny would understand. Thankfully the man, she considered a brother, nodded.

“What’s the plan for the future. What’s the cure or a treatment plan?”

Romy almost laughed “There is no cure. I mean read upon it and believe…sometimes you just need to be angry to be a woman. Women being told by their doctors that they’re just imagining the pain.”, she harrumphed. “I want to tell them they imagine their pain if someone kicks their balls for 5 days, 24hours every single month.”

Danny winced at Romy’s image.

“Anyway,” Romy took a breath, trying to take the bite out of her voice. It’s not like it's Danny’s fault. “I’ve got a milder case. Apparently.”

“Steve must have loved that,” Danny commented drily.

“Oh yeah.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

“What do you mean, mild?” Steve leaned forward in his chair. “Those pains….that isn’t mild!”

“Commander McGarrett”, Dr Kekeoa started, before she changed her mind midsentence. Taking a breath she tried a different avenue. “This sucks.” She stated plainly. Steve’s hand curled into a fist at her stark words. “It sucks that there is no cure. However, we have removed the extra tissue. We keep an eye on any future growths.” She turned to Romy. While she appreciated a worried and supportive partner, this was not about him. This was about Romy. “We will get to know each other well. I’m scheduling you for an ultrasound every three months to keep an eye on any growth development. I’m also prescribing you hormone shots, which should stop the disease to progress to the next stadium and increase your chances of conception.”

Steve looked down, Romy’s hand had settled on his fist. Her usually warm hands were clammy and cold. He needed to get a grip. Steve flipped his hand over and threaded their fingers together.

They could do this.

They could adjust.

Now that they knew what they were dealing with, they would come up with a plan.

His eyes scanned the leaflet, Dr Kekeoa had handed it over earlier. He glanced up guiltily, as he tried to smooth the crinkled paper on his leg. It had born the brunt of his helplessness.

Romy spoke softly next to him, she still sounded shocked, as she discussed appointments and prescriptions with the doctor. Steve’s eyes focused on the keywords on the leaflet.

Healthy Diet. Goodbye Rainbow Cafe. Goodbye Loco Mocos.

Exercise. Well, Romy could bitch all she wanted, but he would not let her skip their morning swim ever again. They would take over Eddie’s evening walk from Junior and he would reinstate their biweekly family hike. Tani and Junior were no longer completely green behind their ears. He didn’t need to be on call every weekend anymore.

Relaxation methods such as Reiki, Yoga, acupuncture. Maybe a trip to Chinatown was in order, or Noelani could help. She must have some contacts from Med school.

Steve was pulled out of his musings by Romy’s hand on his shoulder. He had missed the end of the appointment, still, in a slight daze, he followed Romy out of the office.

 

——xx——xx——

 

“That’s why he is in such a research mode at the moment?” Danny wondered. It all made so much more sense now. Steve hated when things couldn’t be solved when there wasn’t a plan that could be followed. So, he came up with his own.

“Well, my life has suddenly become way more active and healthy, which isn’t gelling with my hormone-induced mood swings.”

“Ouch. Homelife must be fun at the moment.”

“So, so much fun.” Romy let her head hang a bit “I think Junior is seriously contemplating moving out.” A chuckle escaped her.

“He ain’t dealing well?”

“More like he doesn’t know where to put his foot. Always scared he sets off an explosion.” The image of Junior’s face the other week made her giggle. He had come home, in the most in the opportune moment. She and Steve just had a little argument about the nutritious benefits of gummy bears and he walked right into their make-up part of the argument.

“Ugh” Danny pulled a face “I know how it feels like walking into you two. And man I feel for that boy.”

A ping on Romy’s phone stopped Danny from elaborating further. Not that she needed another rant from Danny on that topic. She picked up her phone and saw that Steve had left her a voicemail. It was a long one too. Holding up one finger to Danny, she pressed play and put the phone next to her ear.

“Hey gorgeous, how are you? I hope your day out with Danny is relaxing. Ahem, something weird happened today, and well it's kinda still happening.

This guy was coming into my office, telling me, he knew my Dad. That he worked with him…in the end, it turned out…Leroy he…my Dad investigated him. Leroy worked for the Hawaiian Syndicate. He killed people. He confessed everything to me. He just asked me to read him his rights” Steve’s voice trailed off. “Anyway, I just needed to hear your voice….”

Romy closed her eyes, they really needed a break a goddamn break. She switched to a different app on her phone and took a deep breath. “I need you to drive me to the M.E. Office.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy watched how Steve was embraced and thanked by the families of the Syndicates victims. A lei was hung around his neck and Romy could see tears in his eyes.

“You said you needed to hear my voice” she shrugged, as he made his through the people to her “I thought this would be better.”

Steve was speechless. How did she know? He drew her into his arms. Romy’s head nestling just under his chin, he held onto for dear life. Feeling her alive and warm, was everything he needed.

Arm in arm they walked out of the building, leaving the family behind. Leaving the history behind. They only let go of each other when they needed to get into his car. Steve took a moment, the files safely in Romy’s hand. “Well, we did it, Dad. We did it”

They had settled into the Adirondack chairs on the beach in front of their house. Romy’s feet in his lap, he recounted his day in more detail. “He never gave up. He never cowered in front of the syndicate.” Steve shook his head. “He smashed the windows of the best hitman in the syndicate and walked away alive. He drove past this man’s house every day when he picked me up from school. Just to show, I’m still here. I haven’t forgotten. I care.”

“Like father, like son.” Romy smiled lovingly. “He’d be so proud of you. For finishing what he started.”

Steve leaned over and kissed her deeply, trying to convey what that sentence meant to him and also what it meant for Romy to know this. They both groaned when his cellphone rang. “To be continued” he murmured against her lips.

“One day, your phone’s not gonna ring,” Romy grumbled, as Steve accepted the call.

“Then yours is” he countered before he said, “What’s up Adam?” And then the dreaded “I’m on my way.”

He pressed another kiss to the crown of Romy’s head and then bolted back up into the house.

With a sigh Romy got up herself and ambled after Steve back into the house, Nahele was due home soon and dinner hadn’t even been thought about. The kid was in a bit of a fog at the moment, waiting on college acceptance letters, while also studying for his final exams.

——xx——xx——

Romy and Nahele both flinched when Steve slammed the door behind him. Even Eddie whined as Steve stormed past him, not giving him his customary head scratches. Romy patted Nahele’s leg “Well, there goes out movie night.” She got up from the sofa and followed Steve. “I’m gonna check on him.”

She found Steve pacing the length of the lanai. She closed the lanai door behind her softly, leaning against it watching him. Eddie had followed her outside and was now trailing behind Steve. Romy gave him two more minutes of pacing, then she said “I get the call didn’t go so well.”

Steve snorted at that “Not go so well?” He turned to her. “Yeah, you could say that.”

“You wanna tell me what happened?”

“Adam lied to me”

Oh shit!

“He had Shioma’s money all along.”

Fuck!

“And now Jessie is dead, the money is gone and he wants to quit”

Fuck indeed!

“You planning to say anything?”

“Sorry Schnuffi” Romy stepped into his arms, with Eddie right behind her to wiggle into their hug.

 

——xx——xx——

 

“So Catherine just called you this morning, telling you she needs our help” Lou surmised “And now we’re both here instead of anywhere else, planning to help your ex-girlfriend with a secret CIA mission?”

“Yes!” Steve took a sip of his to-go coffee. It wasn’t like he was excited about the prospect of working with Catherine. Romy was still getting adjusted to the hormones and well home life’s been a bit of a rollercoaster.

“Oh, man. How did Romy react?” And there was the dreaded question.

“Well, she doesn’t know yet.” Steve tried to act nonchalant as if he didn’t know himself what big a deal it was.

Lou’s eyes bugged. “What?”

“She’d already left.”

“You are officially dead.”

“Why?”

“Well, my wife hadn’t left yet this morning. So she knows…and if Renee knows…”

He was officially dead. “Romy knows.” Steve finished Lou’s sentence with a hung expression. “Let me make a quick -“

His sentence was cut off by a cheery “Hello boys!” From Catherine entering the office. Lou raised his eyebrows at Steve as Catherine hugged first him and then Steve hello.

Steve had no time to call Romy, within the next hour they were off to  Kaho'olawe trying to find the bunker with the depleted Uranium. Let's not forget Kamekona behaving like a car rental service and Jerry tagging along to go on an Indiana Jones’esque mission to find the King’s grave.

If anyone wants to know his day was going just peachy!

——xx——xx——

“This is not my first jungle, young lady” Steve took the machete and started to hack at the greenery around them, forging a pathway.

Catherine moved their conversation to Tani, complimenting Steve to the hire. He could feel, that she was just warming up to something. “So, how is Romy?”

Ah, there it was. “She’s good. Very good actually. Nahele is in his final year of High School and well we got a dog.” He hoped this was all of the small talks he needed to make. “And what about you?” Steve turned it around. “You seeing anyone?”

“You mean besides assets and enemy combatants?”

“Yeah.”

Catherine laughed behind “It's kinda hard to keep a relationship going when you do what I do.”

“I bet.” Steve agreed.

“But, I am dating a little bit.” Steve turned around by Catherine’s admission.

“That’s great, Cath!” He meant it, just because they didn’t work out, did not mean he wanted Catherine to be on her own.

“Isn’t it great that we can talk about this stuff now?” Catherine asked a smile on her face.

“It is?” Steve wasn’t too sure, it's not like they shared anything of substance since she burst onto the scene this morning.

“Yeah!” Catherine confirmed happily. Then the conversation took a weird turn, first, they congratulated themselves on their maturity level and then suddenly Catherine was bemoaning that them sleeping together ruined their friendship. Even so, the sex was great apparently. Steve had no idea what to do with this. He didn’t want to talk about it, not even want to think about it. He didn’t need to worry about it, because the next thing he knew, Catherine had fallen into a trap and he was staring into the barrel of two guns and then he was down in the trap with her.

“Can I ask you a question?”

“Now?” Was she kidding him? Did she want to talk about something now? When she was helping him out of a hole?

“Yes. Now.”

“If I hadn’t taken the job with the CIA. Would the two of us have a chance?”

“What?”

“Just answer the question!” She shrieked.

“No, Catherine. No. There was no chance.”

Steve saw something flicker over her face, but as soon as he blinked it was gone and he was pulled over the ledge by Catherine.

They both landed on their backs. “Thanks for being honest, Steve.” Catherine breathed heavily with extortion.

He was saved to answer when Jerry appeared in front of them. He didn’t think he was ever so glad to see 5-0’s special consultant.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy had received Renee’s message about Catherine when she stepped out of her first-morning meeting. She had checked her voicemail, but Steve hadn’t contacted her. She tried, oh she tried hard not to jump to conclusions but her husband was not making it easy this morning.

‘Be careful. I love you.’ She typed out a quick message before Ani popped her head in asking her to move for another meeting.

He hadn’t responded when Romy had returned from lunch, making her worried. Steve always made sure to keep her posted. Romy gnawed her lip, unsure how to proceed. She did not want to ring any alarm bells with the rest of the team. He must have gone radio silence for a reason. She would not be that wife, she could not be.

Moving through the rest of her day with some more purpose trying to ignore the voice in her head that told her to call him. Steve could handle himself, and he did not need her to freak out on him. Finally, her phone rang “Hello!” She asked breathlessly in the receiver. It wasn’t Steve, it was Tani. Junior got in an accident while running and needed to go to the hospital.

“No, no. You don’t need to come Romy.” Tani answered her question. “I’m driving behind the ambulance right now. It’s just I got Eddie and…”

“Drop him off at the hotel” Romy interrupted the young woman. “He knows how to behave in the office.”

“Thanks.”

“Call me if you or Junior need anything.”

——xx——xx——

“Hi, Eddie!” Romy sank onto her knees in front of her dog and gave him a big hug. “You had an eventful day, didn’t you bud?” The dog barked at her and fell onto his back, his signature for getting his belly rubbed.

She laughed at his antics “And here I thought you wanted to have a treat after your day?” But Eddie whined when she dared to get up making her laugh again. “You’re being a silly pup today, aren’t you?” She unplugged her laptop and scooted back over to Eddie. “See, I was just getting my laptop. I still need to do some work here.” Romy patted the spot on the sofa next to her, inviting Eddie up. They sat like this, with Eddie’s head sharing her lap with her laptop.

——xx——xx——

“Mama!”

“‘Hele!” Romy looked up at her son standing at the door. “What’s the matter?”

“I got the email!”

“What!” Romy exclaimed, pushing her laptop to the side. “Come sit down!” She patted the other side on the sofa. “Show me.”

“Here!” Nahele thrust the phone in his Mom’s face. “Both of them loaded their responses today.”

“Have you checked yet?” Romy adjusted the phone in front of her, stopping her to go cross-eyes.

“No, I wanted to do it with you and Dad.” Nahele slid down on the sofa a little bit further.

Romy ruffled his hair carefully “Oh Brummbär. Your Dad is on a mission right now. I don’t know when he’ll be home.”

Nahele let out a big sigh, his head moving to Romy’s shoulder and his hand reached out to Eddie’s head. “I can wait, I guess.”

“That’s the spirit.” Romy pressed a kiss to his forehead, relishing the feeling of her son cuddling next to her. In only a couple of months, he would be gone, off to college, becoming an adult. Oh, she would miss him so much!

“Mama,” Nahele asked after playing on his phone for a couple of minutes. “Things are gonna change when I go to college, or?”

“Yeah”, Romy nodded softly. “They will, but change doesn’t always mean bad things.”

“I guess”, Nahele mumbled. “It’s just I like my life right now.”

“The important bits are not going to change, ‘Hele. Your Dad, Eddie, me, the whole Ohana - you always have those.”

“It’s not about that…it’s about” Nahele bit his lip, unsure how he should continue.

“Stella?”

“How? How did you know?” he turned to his Mom.

“A Mom knows, ‘Hele.”, Romy winked at him.

Nahele let his head fall back down on Romy’s shoulder. “I thought she was only my friend, but over the last couple of months.” He shrugged. “We see each other a lot, at practice and school and stuff and well we’ve been going out a couple of times on our own.”

“So, can I ask. Are you two a couple?”

“I don’t know!” Nahele turned a little to reach Eddie better. “I mean what’s the point right? We applied for different universities and…”

When Romy didn’t say anything, Nahele nudged her “Any advise?”

“I don’t know, Brummbär. You should have a chat with Stella. See where she is standing on this.”

“I just…I don’t know what to feel.”

“Kiddo” Romy turned to face Nahele fully. “There will be a lot of people who take your breath away, but not that many” she chuckled “a few” she corrected herself “that will remind you to keep breathing. You need to decide in which category Stella falls into.”

“Ugh! This grown-up stuff is hard” Nahele groaned.

“Yep, the worlds largest con.” She commiserated with him.

Romy’s phone pinged with a message a little while later. ‘We are at Kamekona’s. Come, please 😘 .’

“Come on, kiddo.” She got up pulling Nahele up with her. “Dinner is on Dad tonight.”

“Mama?”

“Mhm” Romy answered distractedly, she was putting her stuff away for the day.

“Was Dad one of the people that reminded you to breath?”

Romy looked up from her handbag, a smile stretching over her face “He’s the only one.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy, Nahele and Eddie made it in time to Kamekona’s to hear Jerry proclaim “Finding King Kamehameha's gravesite isn't the only mystery I've been working on.”

“What, are you gonna unlock the formula of, uh, Danny's hair product?” Lou jibed right back.

“Hey, guys!” Romy greeted, stopping to give Junior a big squeeze and waving at Catherine.

“Nope. The Lost City of El Dorado. Got some theories.” Jerry rolled his eyes at his friends.

“I'll tell you what, Jerry.” Steve extended his arm to Romy, pulling her tightly next to him. “That right there is an expedition I would join you on.”

“I believe that when I see the TV show” Romy teased him. Steve kissed her cheek soundly “You’ll see when we suddenly don’t need to worry about college tuition anymore.”

“With that, I would like to make a toast. To, uh, lost cities and found friends.” Catherine held up her beer bottle in a toast.

“And to Adam.” Tani continued. “May your trip to the mainland be filled with love and affection.”

“And plenty of time between the sheets,” Kamekona added.

“All right, easy, big guy.” Adam raised his eyebrows. “That's my wife you're talking about there.”

“How am I ever going to be an uncle if you and Kono don't get busy?”

“Excuse me.” Romy poked Kamekona in the side. “You already got an honorary nephew standing right over there getting my shrimps.”

“Yeah, and he’s going to leave me in three months heading to college. I need fresh supply, German Rose!”

“Can we please switch the subject?” Tani asked and shuddered at the same time. “All that baby talk is giving me hives.”

That made the whole group laugh and the teasing now fell onto Tani.

“Nahele got some news,” Romy whispered in Steve’s ear.

“Oh,” Steve pulled Romy closer. Nothing better than feeling her against him after a hard day. He couldn’t wait to lock the bedroom door behind them tonight. “He finally fessed up about Stella?”

“There was nothing to ‘fess up’” Romy flicked his ear “but yeah he did.”

Steve made a fist in celebration, causing Romy to roll her eyes at him fondly. “I knew it.”

“Yes, you did. That wasn’t what he came to me for though.” She closed her eyes, enjoying the feeling of Steve pushing some of her hair behind her ear. She smiled when she felt him rub the strand between his fingers.

“The universities posted their admittances today.”

Steve pushed her away excitedly “No way!” Attracting the attention from the others, still ribbing Tani about her aversion to kids.

“Come on, Romy! Tell me! Which schools did he get into?” Steve was almost vibrating with excitement.

Romy laughed out loud his good mood was infectious. “I don’t know. He wanted to check with us together.”

Steve pulled her off the bench and made a beeline over to Nahele. He ignored the shouted questions from his friends and Catherine’s gaze that followed them. Catherine tried to not watch them, honestly, she did, she couldn’t stop herself though. Seeing Steve, talking excitedly to the teenager, his arms around his wife. His wife?! Her mind still blew at that every single time. Romy’s back was tightly pressed to his front, while he watched Nahele type something into his phone. She realised that this was the first time she saw them together, not only Steve and Romy but also Nahele. She only heard about them being a family but never saw it for herself. It was time to admit it, Steve had been right. They never stood a chance against that.

 

——xx——xx——

 

“It’s been a hard couple of days,” Steve announced himself to Romy. He had just come home from another crime scene, this time Adam’s half-sister.

“Try a couple of weeks” Romy held out her hand, she leaned against the beam of the lanai roof.

Steve tugged her away from her perch into his chest. “True” he mumbled into her hair.

“How was your day with Catherine?”

“Shit, I’m sorry gorgeous. I meant to call you and then…”

“Hey” Romy framed his face with her hands, gently forcing him to look at her. “It’s ok. I’m not asking because of me. I’m asking because of you.”

Steve shrugged “It was alright. Still trying to find our footing as friends.”

“You’re allowed to be sad about that, you know. Losing a friend is never easy.”

He squeezed her a bit closer, Romy’s strength had always been in her softness.

“What are you humming?” She asked a couple of heartbeats after Steve started swaying them. His volume increased slightly, making it almost vibrate through their bodies. With a grin, Romy burrowed further into his chest and she whispered the lyrics against his skin

“It's been a hard day's night, and I been working like a dog. It's been a hard day's night, I should be sleeping like a log. But when I get home to you I find the things that you do, will make me feel alright. So why on earth should I moan, 'cause when I get you alone. You know I feel OK. When I'm home everything seems to be right. When I'm home feeling you holding me tight.”

Chapter 52: Love is war

Summary:

Romy gets some news… good and bad

Notes:

Warnings: Smut
Playlist: Love is war by American Young
Episode: Season 8, Episode 21 & 22

Hello, lovelies,
Are you ready for another chapter? There is so much going on in here…and not at all inspired by my best friends shotgun wedding two weeks ago. Nope, not at all! This is Romy heavy, the two of us had a lot to work through over the last four weeks.
Thank you for sticking with me through my absences. Season 8 was/is a bummer to write. Maybe because I have so many cool things planned for season 9.
I hope you enjoy this….it kinda turned out to be a little hilarious bit of fun.
Enjoy xx

Chapter Text

 

"I don't wanna!", Romy whined at Ani. Her assistant looked unimpressed and tapped her foot impatiently.

"Romy", she groaned. "Please! I've got my replacement here. Don't scare her off, like you did the other two."

"I did not!" Romy got up with a huff and grabbed her tablet, phone, notebook and pen. "You did - I'm definitely not as high maintenance as you made me out."

Ani scoffed "maybe you're not, but keeping your schedule up to date with your injury-prone husband is." She motioned Romy to move faster. "And one of them almost fainted at the idea of bullet wounds and the other wanted to know if there were any singles on his team. I won't let any floozies take my job."

"You looove me too much." Romy teased her assistant and patted her cheek.

"I'm seriously reconsidering it right now." Another pointed glance at her watch. "You're running late."

"You're really making me meet with another dimwitted bodyguard?"

"Who held her hand up when the General Manager needed holiday cover?" Ani pressed the elevator call button slightly aggressively. "It's not my fault you always need to be in control."

Romy shrugged "I like giving orders." She smiled, as Ani rolled her eyes at her.

"Please be nice to the security detail."

"I'm always nice!" Romy exclaimed.

"You almost reduced the last one to tears!"

"I did no such thing!" Romy took offence, to that. "He just didn't understand my humour!"

"Please be nice!" Ani almost pushed her out of the elevator.

"I promise," Romy rolled her eyes "I'll be nice to the pack of dimwitted muscle they have employed this time."

"And here I thought you liked a pack of muscles. Plainly going after your choice of a husband."

Romy turned around slowly, that wonderful British drawl way too familiar.

"Harry Langford!"

Romy's eyes went comically wide, as she recovered from the shock. "And I like yours the best!" The two hugged to the highest amusement of Ani and the shock of the new assistant she was training.

"She keeps you on your toes and you keep her on her toes." She whispered to the young woman next to her.

"She knows him?" Sabrina let her eyes rove over Harry appreciatively.

"Friend of her and her husband." Ani shrugged. "Come on" she motioned to her shadow. "They're going to have breakfast and that will take a while. I'll show you how the filing works."

"We're not gonna take notes or something?" Sabrina clearly didn't want to leave.

Ani felt almost sorry for the girl. "Mrs Erhardt - McGarrett doesn't need you to take notes." She was in for a surprise when Romy will ask her about her thoughts after a meeting and not what was said.

"You know, you could actually call me when you're planning to visit the island and not just appear." Romy pointed her fork at Harry accusatory. They had finished all the work talk and started on breakfast.

"Ah where would be the fun in that? I'd never heard you use the word dimwitted if I did that." Harry smirked.

"I didn't know it was going to be you handling the security detail," she tried to defend herself.

"Good point." Harry leaned back and enjoyed the scenery for a moment. "You looking good Romy. Still no chance I can charm you away from your husband."

Romy smiled and shook her head.

"You don't miss the English weather? Rugby? Or a good old pub?"

"Oh I miss all of these things"

"Just not enough" Harry finished her sentence.

Romy tapped the side of her nose, making her and Harry grin.

"Steve told me about your surgery." Romy sucked in a breath, she knew Steve had talked to Harry. She was glad he did. It still felt like a punch in the gut every time someone mentioned it. "You feeling ok now?"

"Yes," Romy squeezed his hand "thanks for being there for him. It wasn't easy for him to understand."

"It's hard when you see the person you love in pain and can't do fuck all about it." Harry returned her squeeze. "I invited him and Danny for lunch."

"Do I need to be jealous that I wasn't invited to this lunch?" She teased him, as they made their way to the executive floor, ready to be introduced to her Ladyship.

—xx—xx—

"Sorry about this, chaps. This is Lady Sophie's standard holiday move," Harry sighs and settled back into the uncomfortable chair. "She under packs, and then insists on turning her first day into a shopping spree."

"It's okay." Steve cracked his neck a little bit. He hadn't slept last night, Romy's brain had not turned off, worried about the new assistant.

"Are you serious right now?"

Harry looked up as he heard Steve's question, and then turned them immediately out again, those two could argue about anything, including animal crackers.

"You know what?" As entertaining as their argument was, he was getting hungry now as well. "Might I suggest... that when Lady Sophie reappears, we all agree that whatever she's wearing, we say it looks fantastic."

"Hey. Stunning." Harry exclaimed as soon as Sophie came out in outfit number….he could not remember, he had lost track.

"That is amazing. You should get that outfit." Harry needed to grin, Steve was well trained in shopping with a woman.

"I don't know. I'm not convinced by the trousers. I'm just not loving the cut."

He wanted to kill Danny, really just reach over and throttle him.

Steve looked like he'd help him hide the body. "I like 'em a lot." He threw in.

"I think the high-waisted jeans from before. The pink suede mules are... are good. Keep those. And the silk bomber jacket from three outfits ago. I think that's the jam." Danny twirled his fingers, as he put together the outfit.

"Take note, gents." Sophie smiled. "This one actually knows what he's talking about. Let me get everything together, and we'll grab that lunch, yeah?"

"Okay."

"How?" Steve asked.

"Well, um... I have a 16-year-old daughter and I have a really good sense of style, which your wife appreciates too by the way."

"I appreciate your patience, gents." Harry picked up from Danny. "Lunch is definitely on me."

"Well, given how empty my stomach is, it's probably gonna cost you." Steve got up with a groan.

"It's amazing where the time goes." Harry shook his head, memories popping to the front of his mind. "I was there when Sophie was born, you know. Watched her grow up. She was such a sweet child. It's been a few years since I last saw her, and, um, well, let's just say she's changed quite a bit."

"It's called puberty, buddy." Steve clapped Harry's shoulder. Watching Nahele grow up from this kid into an almost man in such a short time, still blew his mind.

"Yeah, my daughter's a different person every single day." Danny chipped in. "It's a nightmare."

"Hey, I just feel like it's my duty to warn you guys," Steve got up from the chair, which was supposed to be comfortable but definitely wasn't, making the whole shopping experience even worse. "That my personality is about to take a... a serious left-hand turn if I don't get some food into my system."

That was the last time something light was being said. Sophie was gone. Disappeared right out of the changing room.

—xx—xx—

Romy sat with Lady Mortimer in their suite and thanked God that her family wasn't that confusing. Like a woman deserving of her rank in line of the English throne, Lady Mortimer had refused a cup of tea and requested a gin & tonic "light on the tonic, please" instead. She had chugged the whole glass down. 'If the Queen would have seen that, she'd be demoted by at least 5 spots', Romy giggled internally to herself. Romy thought she had seen and heard everything with her and Steve careers, but this boy oh boy. How did she end up holding a Ladyships hand while the story on her love life tumbled out of her Gin loosened lips? How she and Harry had a thing and how she was 95% sure that Sophie was his daughter. Romy sat still, she had no idea what to say to that. Fuck, did their friends have complicated love life's? Her and Steve's issues paled in comparison to that. And god was she glad about that.

She let out a relieved breath when the door to the suite opened and Sophie appeared. Harry and Danny holding her up on either side and Steve bringing up the rear. Their appearance stops Lady Mortimer third explanation on why she was unfaithful to her husband.

"Hey you," Romy got up from the sofa and inched over to her husband. He kissed her in greeting. Romy wrinkled her brows as she pulled away. She rubbed the fingers of her right hand together, it had laid on Steve's bicep during their kiss. "Why are you damp?" She asked with a frown.

"We needed to take a little dip in the ocean."

"Fully clothed?"

Steve started his explanation when Ani interrupted them.

"Steve. Hi!" She was startled at the presence of him and Danny.

"We've got the press down in the lobby, Romy. Something about a rescue mission and abduction of Lady Sophie." She regarded Steve and Harry still in their wet clothes. "Which makes so much more sense now."

Romy bit her lip at her assistants' sass, and Steve's put outlook. "I'll be down in a second," she directed at Ani before turning to Steve, "please change into something dry before you start to mildew."

"I see you at home?"

"I might be late" Romy nodded to Ani. Her ear pressed to Romy's phone while furiously typing on her own.

"I might come and watch you," Steve whispered in her ear, his implication made clear with the slight rasp in his voice.

"Crazy man…" only Steve would find her dealing with annoying reporters hot.

The kiss he bestowed on her, was deep and left her wanting for more. Making her completely forget how highly inappropriate the kiss was for their audience.

"Leave your wife alone!" Ani and Harry chastised the couple simultaneously.

With a dazed look, Romy pulled away, her pupils cross-eyed. Her man could kiss. She followed it with two or three quick pecks trying to regain her senses. Romy tugged the sides of her trousers and took a step back. She was all business again "Who do we have downstairs?", she asked and followed Ani out of the suite.

"Will we ever hold a press conference that wasn't caused by your husband?" Ani raised her eyebrows with fond exasperation.

Romy shot her an impish grin followed by an eye roll. "I sincerely doubt it."

It took her almost 2 more hours to wrap everything up. At the end of the day, Ani had allowed Sabrina to come back for another day, which Romy took as a win.

—xx—xx—

Romy looked at Steve entirely amused how he almost fell off their sofa, taking her with him. Her reenactment of her kicking out some paparazzi wasn't that funny. "It truly amazes me, that you think I'm funny," she shook her head at him while pulling Steve more securely onto the sofa. "Nobody ever found me that hilarious."

Steve snorted "idiots." He declared. "Some people just don't have any taste."

"And you do?" A smile danced on Romy's lips and eyes.

"I do." Steve stretched his legs along with the cushions, so Romy was enclosed by him. With a smirk, he crossed his ankles and dragged Romy closer to him. "As proven by my choice of a wife."

"Well," she pondered, her arms gliding up Steve's torso and wrapping around his neck "who am I to disagree with that, husband."

Her nose brushed his once, twice, three times before their lips finally connected. She had not gotten enough of him this afternoon. The way his lips caressed hers, how he just knew when to apply pressure and when to let the kiss go tender. The way his hands slid over her skin, her neck, leaving goosebumps in their wake. How she could feel his breath hitch when her fingernails scratch along his pulse point and over his scalp. She was losing herself into him and Romy could feel Steve go limp underneath her. Succumbing to the kiss. Neither of them wanted to take it further. Just laying in each other's arms and letting their lips do the talking.

"Oh, man!" With a great deal of difficulty, they broke their kiss at the outburst. Steve tipped his head back seeing Nahele in the door. He could feel Romy grin against his cheek, her chin resting against his. "Can you not keep your hands to yourself for one damn minute?" Nahele lamented while throwing himself onto the armchair next to them.

"Never!" Steve declared with a smile, pulling Romy closer to him.

—xx—xx—

"You know….Danny asked me something weird today."

Romy rolled onto her side, with her head propped up on her hand she peered down at Steve who laid on his back, letting the sun dry off the rest of the water. They had gone for a swim after both of them had come home from work. The weather had been stifling hot the last couple of days and there did not seem to be any relief on that front anytime soon. It was the first time she regretted vetoing the air conditioning unit in the house.

"Danny and you always have weird conversations," Romy pointed out. "What was different this time?"

Steve leaned up on his elbow, while his other hand grasped Romy's right hand, his fingers tracing her engagement and wedding band. "That we never had that proper wedding we promised them."

Romy pulled a face, what the heck did these two talk about while chasing Unsubs all over the island? "Well, we had our wedding and it was pretty damn amazing if I'd say so myself." She pouted at the insinuation that their wedding celebration had not been proper. It was a meaningful ceremony, dinner with loved ones, who granted didn't know what was happening and some awesome wedding night sex. "Well I don't see or hear Danny volunteering himself for wedding planning and neither have you."

Steve crinkled his nose, Romy wasn't wrong. He had proposed and kind of left it at that, thought that she would tell him what she wanted him to do. "You're right," he agreed. "I'm bringing it up now though. I'd like to have a big celebration which everyone can attend."

"You know the marriage is more important than the wedding, right?" Romy teased him, with the words he mumbled whenever Adam and Kono were fighting during their wedding planning years ago.

"I'd say we got the marriage part down good." Steve lifted her left and pressed a kiss right over Romy's rings. "Time to celebrate it."

—xx—xx—

Was this parenthood? If yes, boy oh boy, people really miss-sold them. How did they end up looking at college brochures, affordability checks and scribbled Pro & Con list by their son, on a freaking Tuesday evening? There is no drink strong enough to get them through this amount of paperwork. Her feet were securely in Steve's lap. His hands tightened around her feet, effectively stopping the massage he was giving them, every time he read something he didn't agree with.

"I'm being honest," Romy began hoping she wouldn't sound like a total bitch, "While it's totally Nahele's choice, life would be so much easier if he chooses one of the two instate schools."

Steve kissed his teeth, "not only easier but cheaper too."

"Have you Americans never heard of free education or free healthcare?" Romy's eyes bugged out a little at the end figure.

"Well, he could always enlist." Steve squeezed her ankle and winked at Romy.

"Over my dea-" Romy frowned when she saw his wink and glared at him good naturally "you're mean." She was stopped from saying anything else by her phone. With a sigh, she unlocked it and Steve saw her jaw drop as she read the message. "I need to go!"

"What?" Steve turned to Romy, his brow furrowed. That topic change was going a bit too fast for him.

"Here!"

He almost got cross-eyed when she thrust her phone towards him. Taking the phone out of her grasp he adjusted it, so he could actually read the screen.

"Wow." He looked up at Romy, she had pushed her chair back and stalked over to their bar cart. By the time he crossed the room to her, she had knocked back the first Rum on was sipping on the second.

"I did read this correctly, didn't I?" She asked with a small voice.

"Yep," he popped his P like Nahele tended to do when he stated the obvious. "Lauren is planning to get married on Saturday."

"Ok," she handed over her glass to Steve, "I need to pack."

With determined strides, she marched up the steps. Steve followed her at a slower pace, he sipped at their Rum and watched her pull down her small carry on suitcase.

"Romy," he called out to get her attention. His wife didn't stop though, flitting between their bureau, closet and open suitcase. First throwing something and then taking it straight back out again. Steve peeled off the door jamb and come to stand behind her. His hands moved soothingly from her shoulders down her arms, to her waist until he pulled her flush to his front. "Gorgeous. Talk to me."

"I don't know…" Romy interlaced their fingers, trying to relax into his arms. "I mean, should I stop this? Should I plan a bachelorette party?" She shook her head letting out a little laugh.

"Gorgeous" his hands still rubbing up and down her arms, "take a breath. Then we pack your case and look for a flight. But please you need to breathe."

Romy looks over her shoulder, raising an eyebrow at Steve "Are you trying to tell me to calm down."

"Me? Knowing how calm you get when some tries to tell you that?" He snorted quietly and kissed her temple. "I'm not a beginner."

Romy slapped his arm slightly and stepped out of his embrace "Very funny." With a heavy breath, she sat next to her suitcase on the bed. She scratched Eddie's head absentmindedly when he snuck his head onto her lap.

"Come on I help you pack," Steve kissed her forehead, brushing some hair out of her face. "So Vegas in May, that's going to be hot and dry." He moved some hangers around, disregarded some choices before he settled on wrap dresses, silk tops and a blazer, before adding a high waisted bottle-green wide-leg trousers.

Romy quirked an eyebrow "Quite conservative for Vegas and the company I'm gonna be keeping there."

"Exactly, you and Lauren having some sort of hen do in Vegas before her wedding spells trouble without proper supervision of Samira or Andrea."

Romy shrugged, "fair enough." Lauren always was a bit of a bad influence.

"And I know you're going to at least spot-check the Las Vegas hotel while you're there." he settled the clothes next to her so she could fold them for her carry on. "My Workdork." Steve kissed the tip of Romy's nose.

"Workdork lover." Romy teased right at him, blowing him another kiss. "So what are you and Nahele going to be doing while I'm gone?"

"Settling onto a college." Steve decided. He turned back to her with underwear in his hand, holding it up for Romy's inspection. She nodded at his selection "You really think you can do this in 4 days after no-decision in the last two weeks?"

"Yes!" Steve held out his hand for Romy to pass her folded clothes over.

"I'm taking that bet." She had pulled out her phone to check on some flights, while Steve perfectly slotted her tightly folded and rolled clothes into her carry on.

"What's the stake?" Romy asked, pressing some buttons she confirmed her flight at the same time.

"When I win, you let me try something the next time you get your period and if you win…you're going to look over the Business Plan for the restaurant."

Romy laughed "How is that a win for me?"

"Cause I'm going to promise that we will not disagree with you and we'll implement two changes you suggest." His grin turned smug. "And because I know you've been itching to look at it."

"Deal!" Romy stuck her tongue out at him. A little annoyed that he could read her that well. Pressing a kiss into Steve's shoulder, she ambled over to the bathroom getting her toiletries together. "You good to drop me at the airport in the morning, Schnuffi?"

"Sure."

—xx—xx—

Steve was already asleep and Eddie was snoring soundly from the bottom of their bed, but Romy could not sleep. Carefully she extracted herself from the sheets and padded down in the kitchen to grab a glass of water.

"Oh my god!" Nahele jumped when she turned on the light. His hand flew to his chest, as he blinked against the harsh light.

"What are you doing up, kiddo?" She ruffled his head as she made her way to the sink, filling two glasses with water, handing one to Nahele. She hopped onto the counter and took a sip.

"Too many thoughts to sleep."

The sentence tore at Romy's heart, the last couple of weeks had not been easy for him. The decision on a college felt momentous. She patted the free spot next to her. Romy squeezed Nahele to her in, once he had joined her on the counter. "You will make the right decision, 'Hele. I know you will."

"Thanks, Mama." He nestled his head onto her shoulder. Sometimes it still felt too good to be true, that this was his home, this was his parents. That he was able to choose a college, even contemplate going to one. "You worried about Lauren?" He asked after a moment of both of them just drinking their water.

Romy smiled, he knew her well. "Yeah, I mean who marries a guy they met at a conference? I just don't want her to regret it."

"Who marries a guy they met at a shrimp truck?" Nahele countered cheekily. "And adopts a kid who stole that guy's car?"

Romy let out a startled laugh, "You're right." She had never looked at it that way. "Come on let's go to bed."

She leaned in the open door and watched Nahele climb into his bed. "You know, marrying that guy and adopting that kid…"

Nahele's head shot up from his pillow, waiting for her to continue.

"Absolutely no regrets," Romy winked at him. "Best decision ever!"

"Good night, kiddo. Love you."

"Love you too, Mama."

—xx—xx—

"What's this?" Steve plucked at the jumper Romy was wearing. They stood in the TSA line at Honolulu airport.

"You only notice my jumper now?" Romy nursed her second coffee.

"Well it's 5 am in the morning, and you've been drinking my coffee." Steve liberated the cup out of her hands "It looks incredibly familiar."

"It has been on every single trip of mine since I met you." She traced the Seal emblem with her fingers. "It's kinda how Kristin found out about you. I wore it to bed one evening and she knew straight away something was up."

"Why?" Steve asked, they had never really spoken about that trip. It was so many years ago, they just had met a couple of months previous, and Romy had gone to Germany for Christmas. He never realised that the jumper was missing until he saw her wearing it when he picked her up from the airport.

"I was never into stealing any clothes from my ex-boyfriends, never saw the appeal. I found it always a bit weird, to be honest." Romy shrugged holding his gaze.

"I love you." Steve kissed her, as the line moved forward and it was Romy's turn to put her luggage to be scanned. His kiss tasted of the coffee they were sharing and still a little bit of toothpaste. She didn't want to let him go.

"Love you."

"Don't worry about Lauren. She's an adult." His fingers loosened around hers, getting ready to let go.

"I'll try," Romy said drily.

"Have fun!" And with that he let her go. Steve stood to the side, watching as she was patted down and repacked her luggage. Lifting his hand in a final wave, he only turned to leave when he didn't see Romy anymore.

—xx—xx—

"I don't care who does it! Just someone needs to flip a coin or whatever I don't care." Steve grunt out frustratedly.

He sank in his office chair heavily after Jerry volunteered.

"You alright there, man?" Lou knocked at the glass door. "The kids not behaving again?"

Steve groaned again "just not wanting to volunteer for undercover."

"And?" Lou prompted as he sat down opposite Steve, he knew that could not be the whole reason for Steve's mood.

"Romy has left for Las Vegas this morning."

"Ah" now that explains Steve's grumpiness much better than an undercover op.

"Lauren really getting married to a man she's known for 5 days?"

"Apparently so"

"And Romy is ok with that?"

"She says, she doesn't have much leg to stand on" Steve shrugged "our 'love story' wasn't very conventional either." He spun a pen in between his fingers. "And well Nahele is low-key freaking about over final exams and college decisions."

"I feel you, man. I really do!" Lou emphasised. "Told you to buy a boat instead though. Fewer headaches."

With his words, Lou managed to conjure up another headache. Duke attacked a fellow police officer and stole evidence.

—xx—xx—

This was not who she suspected at all. She had thought a twentysomething had caught Lauren's eye. But wow…Lauren was always good for a surprise.

"Doug, meet Romy!"

"Romy!" Lauren's face almost split in half by her massive smile "This is Doug."

"Hi," Romy stammered a bit, completely thrown by the incredibly conservative dressed man with completely white hair and beard. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Same here. Lauren has told me a lot about you." A charming grin stretched over his face, and Romy could see why her friend was attracted to him.

"I hope only good things." Romy poked Lauren in the side, making her lean into Doug even more.

"I promise." Lauren let go of her future husband for a moment to envelope Romy in another hug. "Still gutted though that Steve and Nahele couldn't come."

"School and work" Romy rolled her eyes at her impulsive friend. Lauren's begging for the two to join her had turned quite hilarious.

"Darling" Doug interrupted before Lauren could say anything further. "We need to attend at least one part of the conference today."

"Ugh! You'd think they'd let you off when you decide to get married." Lauren complained sarcastically. "You'll join us for dinner, won't you? So we can make some plans?"

"Of course." Romy squeezed her friend's hand. "Just let me know when and where."

—xx—xx—

"Mrs McGarrett?"

"Yeah?" Romy's voice tired as she answered the phone. She rolled over, burying her face into the pillow. They had come back late from dinner, and god if Lauren hadn't found her match.

"There is a lady here, saying she is her friend and you are expecting her. She's waving a badge now at the front desk agent."

it took a moment for all the coins to drop in Romy's sleep-addled mind. "A badge?" She sat up against the headboard. "Can you pass her the phone?" The melody starting to play told Romy she was being transferred to a different phone.

"Romy!" Kono's voice shook the last of sleep out of her mind.

"Kono," Romy hugged her legs to her chest. "What are you doing here?"

"I called home and was told by your husband that you were on the mainland and only 2 hours away from me, so I thought I drop by."

"At 3 am in the morning?" She pressed on her phone screen to confirm the time.

"I haven't seen you in forever, no time to waste. Now, will you tell them to let me up?"

"Sure. Hand me back and I'll see you in a few."

The hug Kono enveloped her in, as soon as she stepped into the room, was tight and long.

"You ok?" Romy asked worriedly, her hands framing Kono's face.

"No, but can we talk tomorrow?" Kono looked miserable, now that she had gotten a good look at her.

"Of course, we can. The bathroom is through there." Romy nodded at a door behind Kono. She watched her friend disappear through the door and snuggled back into bed. She had almost drifted back to sleep when the mattress dipped behind her.

"Romy?" Kono's voice was hesitant behind her.

"Yeah?" Romy turned around, trying to focus on her friends face in the dark.

"Can you…," Kono swallowed, "can you hold me."

Romy closed her eyes at Kono's vulnerable question. She reached over and pulled her into her arms. Letting her settle against her shoulder. "This ok?"

"Thanks. It's been a while since I had a hug."

It has been almost 3 months since Adam had joined her on the mainland. What was going on with them?

—xx—xx—

"I think I want to split from Adam." Were the words Kono choose to start their breakfast conversation and Romy was incredibly glad that they decided on room service and against the breakfast buffet downstairs.

"Ok" she carefully sat down her coffee cup.

"I know you're here to celebrate Lauren's wedding and I feel horrible to bring up this during such a happy time," Kono wrung the cotton napkin nervously, "but I needed to…"

"Hey," Romy placed her hand over Kono's, "I'm always here for you. Lauren won't mind. She knows life is not all sunshine and roses."

Kono bit her lip, trying to stay strong and nodded once then twice in short succession.

"Talk to me." Romy prompted and that was all it took for Kono to spill it out. Adam and she hadn't been good for a while, especially since the things with his sister came out. They argued a lot, about her job, about his job, about family and having children. Where would they want to live? What would their life look like?

"We can't agree on anything, Romy. He doesn't want to move to the mainland and I cannot make any commitment coming back to Hawaii until the task force accomplished what it was supposed to achieve."

"Is there no way for a compromise?"

"We would need to talk for that to happen," Kono admitted.

"What do you mean? Isn't he with you?"

"He left after our last argument two weeks ago."

That was news to Romy, as far as everyone in Hawaii knew, Adam was with Kono.

"Any advice?"

"I don't know, Kono. I mean I understand Adam on one hand, you upended your life with him from one day to another. On the other, I get you too." Romy squeezed Kono's hand. "In the end in a marriage you either grow together or you grow apart. Growing apart happens on its own, but growing together takes work. The question you need to ask yourself is, are you willing to put in the work?"

Kono's chin rested on her fist as she contemplated Romy's words. "You're Right. However, for the next three days, let's not think about marriage troubles or fertility issues and let's concentrate on having fun. Giving Lauren an awesome Vegas wedding."

Romy laughed out loud at Kono's plan. She lifted her glass of Orange juice clinking it against Kono's. "Vegas Baby."

And a Las Vegas experience they had. It was a whirlwind of some work and making great memories. The girls managed to talk Lauren out of an Elvis performer as a wedding officiant and were thanked tremendously by a grateful Doug. But conceded her request for a white 1960s mini wedding dress. Overall they had a great time and it felt good to put the dark thoughts in a drawer for a couple of days. The only thing that could have made it better, would have been if Renee, Samira and Andrea could have joined them. But so was life, especially when it stretched her friends over two continents and several time zones. It was a tearful goodbye between her, Lauren and Kono. She almost felt sorry for Doug who tried to keep some sort of dignity at the airport, but Lauren would not let him.

Romy spent the flight nursing a single glass of wine, contemplating the last few days. It had been a rollercoaster of unimaginable happiness. She had never seen Lauren so happy and so at ease, as when she was with Doug. Her restless nature calmed the moment she would lay eyes on him across a room. Their wedding was a beautiful compromise between their natures. Lauren's impulsiveness - hello Las Vegas wedding. Doug's sense of style is illustrated by the 1950's Chevy that was their wedding car.

Kono, though, her poor friend. Just thinking about her predicament made her heart hurt for her friend and for Adam. Her thoughts strayed to Steve, heart-squeezing. The last couple of weeks had been hard. She had not adjusted as quickly to the hormone shots as she wanted to and her period had been even more painful than she wanted to admit. Steve, however, Steve had been terrific. Giving her the shots when she couldn't stomach stabbing herself. Rubbing her tummy to alleviate her cramps. Taking her moods with a grain of salt, making her laugh when she really did not want to. Never throw in the towel, especially when it became hard. She wondered sometimes if it would be easier to try no more. She knew she would never do it, Steve would not let her. Would catch her when she tumbled. He was the one she wanted to make their dreams come true with. The one she wanted to grow with - no one else.

"I really cannot leave you guys alone. Can I?" Romy intertwined her fingers with Steve as they ambled down from Jerry's hospital room to Duke's.

"What can I say, girl," Lou shrugged, "nobody else can keep these two inline."

"I appreciated the heads up though this time," Romy grinned, "especially starting the voicemail with 'Keep breathing girl, for once it's not Steve.'"

"Thanks, man." Steve scoffed at Lou.

Lou shrugged with a big grin on his face "Nothing but the truth there bro."

"So, you had some eventful days," Romy commented as Steve unlocked their house door. His reply was interrupted by Eddie charging at Romy. The dog was way too happy to see his favourite person again and Romy reciprocated in kind. She fell onto her knees and let the dog smother her in kisses and a happy dance.

"You could say that. Duke being conned into stealing evidence. I mean that just blew my mind." Steve scratched Eddie behind his ears once he had calmed down a bit. Now happy to follow his human parents outside into the garden.

"Oh, I missed the ocean!" Romy exclaimed and took a deep breath of air. "Las Vegas is just too full of…"

"Sand, booze, cigarettes, marijuana?" Steve suggested, handing Romy a beer bottle.

"All of the above," she laughed, snuggling into his side. "I'm glad to be home though. That week was a rollercoaster."

"It sounded even more intense than mine," Steve admitted, he still couldn't wrap his mind around Lauren being married and Kono contemplating to split from Adam.

"Anything else happened while I was gone?" Romy asked after a quiet moment.

"Oh yeah…our bet…I guess I won it."

"What?" Romy pushed out of his arms. "No way?! 4 weeks of agony and I leave for a couple of days and boom there is a decision?" She pouted at him "that is so not fair."

"I'm sorry," Steve said with a barely concealed amusement.

"You are not" Romy swatted at his arm.

Steve used her movement to trap her against his chest, grinning down at her. "True."

"You gonna tell me which one it is?"

"Nope."

"Nope?"

"Nahele wants to tell you himself." His nose brushed against hers.

"Not fair…" Romy pouted again.

"You're a big girl. You can wait a couple more hours until he comes home."

"I don't think so!" Romy sighed dramatically.

"How about I distract you?" Steve's voice dropped low, causing a shiver to go through Romy's body.

Her hands glided up his arms, scratching her fingernails through his buzz cut long hair. "What do you have in mind?" She purred.

"Oh, I think I've got an idea."

Romy squealed when Steve lifted her. His hands were securely under Romy's bum, prompting her legs to wrap around his waist.

"Is This you cashing in your win?" Romy nuzzled her nose into his neck.

"Nah, we still have about ten days until your period. This time let's just let it feel good."

"Oh god," Romy could feel her panties getting wet "yes please!" She grounded herself against Steve, feeling him grow hard against her core.

"Don't drop me please," she teased him when she could feel his grip falter for a second.

"The don't tempt me," Steve growled back. Glad he managed to get them to their bedroom in one piece.

Their lips fused in a heavy kiss, only letting their lips part to remove their clothes. There was no hurry in their actions. Sure touches, after years of experience of knowing what made the other person respond. The room was bathed in fading sunlight and their moans.

Romy gripped part of the headboard when Steve bottomed out in her "Steve.", she groaned. He grinned into the soft skin of her neck. Romy could feel nothing but him, his weight pressing her into the mattress, his smell in her nose, his lips on her skin, his moans in her ears. She never felt freer and more secure at the same time. Her hands now trying to find purchase on his back, her arching of the bed as his finger started to tap on her clit.

"Fuck, gorgeous! Still can't believe how wet you get for me." He shifted his weight, pulling her up into a seated position. His eyes never left hers.

"Only for you.", she moaned, relishing in the assault of her senses. "You make me feel so good, Steve. Fuck me, please."

Steve shuddered, losing his rhythm for a second, her dirty talk always managed to throw him off.

"You feel amazing." Steve could feel her tightening around him, massaging his dick at the right spots. Steve could feel her fingers leaving a trail of fire and ice along his skin, heightening everything else he felt.

"You want more?" He panted in her ear.

He could feel her nod into his neck. "Talk to me, Romy." His hand gripped her hair, pulling her face out of the crook of his neck, where she was leaving a love bit. "More Steve, please. Harder. Fuck me harder." Her pupils were blown wide with arousal, her teeth finding her lower lip as she tried to contain her moans. Steve pulled it out of the confines of their teeth, sucking her lip into his mouth.

"You want to come, Romy?", he growled.

"Yes, please make me cum." He hiked her leg higher on his waist, driving in deeper.

Losing his arm around her back made Romy fall onto the mattress, she moaned at the new depth, "God Steve. Feels amazing. So close." Her hands moved more and more urgently, her nails scraping down his chest.

"Come for me, Romy." His fingers changed the rhythm on her clit, now stroking his finger up and down just the way she liked it. "Yeah! That's it," her mouth found his in a kiss, that was all teeth and tongue.

"You making me cum. Can you feel it?!" Her words a slur as she clenched around him.

"Romy!" There was no way he could hold back now. Romy was trembling and clenching around him, drawing his cock further inside of her. He could feel her clenching around him again, milking him as he came.

Heavy breaths filled their room. "God! I love you!" Romy pressed a kiss to his heaving chest. Steve stopped her from getting up. "One second, then you can go to pee." He murmured and used her momentum to pull her tighter against him. His fingers brushed some hair off her sweaty forehead.

"I know that life keeps throwing curveballs at us. But…well…especially with the whole Kono and Adam situation. I just wanted to tell you…" Steve's hand wandered down to Romy's wrist, her bracelet as always there. "that we will always grow together and travel life together. Cause you're my North Star and my sun, gorgeous."

Romy sat up a little bit, her face full of emotion, her fingers tracing Steve's North Star tattoo on his chest. "You know for someone who always says that he's shitty with words. You always know what I need to hear."

"Only for you," Steve leaned up and kissed her. Trying to put his feelings not only into words but into his kiss as well. "Now go pee," he patted her hip, "so we can cuddle."

Giggling Romy extracted herself from the bed, "I bet no criminal would take you seriously if they'd knew what for a koala you are and that the whole tough-guy persona was just a front."

"I'm your koala!" Steve shouted after her. Romy watched him as she came back from the bathroom, he had rightened the bedsheets, opened the window slightly to let in some fresh air and he was positioned just right for her slot right in. Her Seal. To protect and to serve - and for her to cuddle.

Chapter 53: It's too quiet without him

Summary:

Chapter 53 - It’s too quiet without him

Summary: Nahele is getting ready to spread his wings, but is the McGarrett family ready to let him go? 
Warnings: None
Episode: Season 8, Episode 23 & 24 

Notes:

Hello, lovelies, 
How are you all? 
We are here - we finally made it to the end of season 8. We got to know some new characters and revisited some old ones. All the while Steve & Romy battled through some big set backs in their life. And now the time is come to send Nahele off. He deserved his own chapter for this. He is the one that made these two a family, and also helped them realise that they actually love each other. I reread a couple of early chapters for this one to get me in my Nahele feels. I cried a little, because this cinnamon roll deserve all the love in the world. What are your favourite Nahele moments? 
Enjoy xx 

Chapter Text

 

 

——xx——xx—— 

“I’m really glad you were able to come along,” Romy smiled warmly at the young woman next to her. 
“Really?” She couldn’t believe it, her nervousness visible by the never ending fidgeting with the seam of her shirt. 
“Nahele’s friends are always welcome, Stella.” Romy looked down at Eddie, who had turned back and now happily walked heel alongside them. 
“It’s just” Stella broke off, shaking her head, as if she unsure how to continue. 
“Talk to me.”
The young woman turned to Romy startled. “Shit!” 
“What?” Romy let out a laugh at Stella’s facial expression. 
“Nahele, he… well he ,” she hem and hawed a little bit. “He said  that these words are like your superpower to make him talk. And he’s right.”
Romy burst out a loud laugh “My super power I like that.” 
Stella took a deep breath ”He also said, that your hikes are kinda holy to you and Mr McGarrett.” 
“The only thing in this family that is holy, is Sunday Brunch, Stella. And even then we allow the odd visitor.” Romy winked at her. “But I get what he meant.” She looked ahead. Steve and Nahele were a good couple of feet ahead of them, no chance of them overhearing. “Life has been a bit challenging in the last couple of weeks in the health department. So some of us,” she pointed at her husbands back, “take these hikes a little too seriously.” 
“Ah” Understanding dawns on Stella’s face. 
“It’s really nice to spend some time with you,” Romy steered the conversation back. 
“Yeah?”
“Yeah, you mean a lot to Nahele and well I like to know the people that my son likes.” Romy cringed at her own words. “God - that sounded so Mamabear like. I’m sorry.” 
“It’s…it’s nice. Not many of our friends have parents that care.” 
“What?” Now Romy was intrigued, she always had thought all of Nahele’s friends had decent parents. Not everyone was her cup of tea, but they still came across as decent parents. 
“You remember what happened to Cheryl?” 
Cheryl had been a girl in Nahele’s and Stella’s class, who had become pregnant under very dubious circumstances. 
“My Mom told me about the PTA meeting.” 
“Oh,” Romy let out. That PTA meeting had been a doozy. She was unsure how to react, she had not made many friends that evening. 
“Oh dear,” she remarked. “I guess your Mom wasn’t too happy?” 
Stella shrugged. “It took her a long while to get in with the crowd, she relies on them quite a lot.” She justified her Mom’s reaction. 
“I get it,” Romy tried to alleviate the worry swinging in the young woman’s voice. “They can be a force.” 
“You’ve been my hero ever since.” Stella admitted. 
“Me?” 
“Yeah. That was badass - and our teacher told us, you speaking up was the only reason they even considered changing the curriculum.” 
“It is important!” Romy exclaimed. She couldn’t believe that it needed her to put up a fuss, for the schools and other parents to even consider talking about these things. 
They had finally reached the summit and Steve and Nahele were waiting for them near some picnic benches. Nahele was wiping them down a bit, the benches still wet from the downpour they had the night before. But luckily for them, the rain had stopped and the sun started to peak through the clouds. Not that this bit of rain would have stopped Steve. They’re weekly hikes were no longer negotiable. 
“There you two are!” Nahele exclaimed, he was already unpacking the food they brought along. Stella looked over at Romy, who gave her an encouraging nod. She watched her bounding up to her son, almost tackling him into a hug, all the while teasing him about the outlandish picnic he had packed. Steve kneeled at the edge, giving Eddie some water, talking to the pup softly. 
“Hey!” she sunk into grass next to them, her hand scratching Eddie’s head. 
“You know,” Steve pushed some hair that had come loose of her stubbly ponytail, behind her ear. “I don’t think I was ever prouder or more turned on with you than in that PTA meeting.” 
Romy frowned good naturally “Really. Because I remember you actually pulling on my arm to get me to sit down and to shut up.” she pushed him slightly, making him sway in his squat, so he sat down next to her. 
“You had talked them down for 10 minutes, gorgeous. No need to rub your win in their faces.” 
“Says the right person!” Romy shook her head at him. Steve pulled her into his body, letting her head rest on his shoulder. 
“I love you,” he pressed a kiss to the top of her head. 
“Love you too” Romy’s lips grazed along his jaw line. Her gaze swept out over the beautiful Hawaiian landscape, relishing in the clean air and green spaces the rain had provided. 
“I need to apologise for my parents,” Nahele said to Stella, who had watched the exchange. 
“Don’t,” she waved him off. “This is nice. And I finally get to meet you Mom properly. She really went to bat for us at these PTA meetings you know.” 
“Don’t remind me!” Nahele grouched. “Once you get her up on that soapbox you never get her back down. And everyone made fun of me at school for days.”
“Nahele!” Stella chastised him, with a well placed swat to his stomach. 
“Uuff” he groaned out, holding his stomach with played pain. “We got a strict no violence policy in this family. Mama, Stella is hitting me!” he called out. 
“I’m sure you deserved it” Romy shouted back, while she and Steve ambled over to the teenagers. 
“He just complained about the teasing he ‘endured’ after the now infamous PTA meeting,” Stella ratted him out. 
“Nahele! This shit is important. You should know how the plumbing of the opposite sex works if you decide to have sex. The amount of guys I had to educate that I don’t bleed out of the same hole that I pee out of is insane…insane!” 
“Mama!”
“Romy!” Steve said with what he hoped was a calming voice. Nahele was turning incredibly red, he was sure he was going to combust out of embarrassment any second. 
“It’s true though,” Romy shrugged. 
“I love you Mrs McGarrett!” Stella said with a big smile on her face. 

——xx——xx—— 

“You sure this is enough, kiddo?” Steve turned around watching his son lounging on the chairs they had dragged out onto the grass. 
“Dad!” Nahele groaned. 
“You’re only 18 once. You don’t want a party?” Steve double checked the steak on the barbecue, as his son groaned behind. “Your mom made me ask.” He defended himself, having no problem throwing Romy under the bus. 
Nahele groaned again “I’m sure!” He sat up, grabbing his coke can from the table. “I like this, family celebration first and then I head out with my friends to the beach.” 
“Well, your Mom is a bit gutted. You are also denying her a big graduation do.” Steve pointed out. 
“Dad, please!” 
“Throwing parties, being proud of their kids, celebrating their accomplishments is what parents do, ‘Hele. and going overboard is what Mom’s do. Come on throw her a bone.” 
“You know you could just sweet talk her.” 
Steve let out a laugh “Not even I can sweet talk her that much.” Their conversation was interrupted by Noelani returning Eddie after they spent lunch together. 
“Hey, there’s my guy!” Steve bend down to greet Eddie, who seemed to be happy to be home again. “You guys have a nice time together?” He asked Noelani. 

“….this really cute guy that I see at the Blue Tree Café most days before work, and I always hear him talking to the barista about his rescue dogs, and, well, I needed an in.” 
Romy heard Noelani explain, as she stepped out of the house, beers in her hand. 
“Okay, so Eddie was your wingman.” Steve sounded so proud, it made her smile widely. 
“It's pathetic, right?” Noelani asked worriedly. 
“So, no. It's not pathetic, it's awesome.” Steve assured their friend quickly. 
“Are you pimping out our dog again?” Romy asked, handing Steve a bottle. 
“He’s successful,” Steve shrugged, kissing Romy in on the cheek. 
“Well, I should get going. Still need to go home and change,” Noelani bid them goodbye, greeting Junior on the way out. 
“You want to try this?” Romy almost answered Steve, when she realised he was talking to Eddie. “Yeah? All right, here you go. You ready? Da-da-da, sit. It's hot, it's hot. Okay? Is that good? Hey, if I don't finish mine, you can have seconds, okay?” Their little conversation made her chuckle. Junior whipping out his phone and started to show her some pictures of the viewing she had set him up with, distracted her from Steve and Eddie. 
“This looks great, Juns,” she complimented the flat. “Do you think you’re gonna take it?” 
“Take it?” Steve appeared between the two of them. “Take what?” Romy stepped carefully away, this was Junior’s fight. She and Nahele watched their exchange with an amused grin. Steve was not taking the Junior’s move very well. Nahele and Romy grinned at each other, as Steve’s voice got higher and higher. 
Romy reached over and patted his hand “I’m sorry, Steve. He is young though,” she said as Junior went inside to get some more beers. 
“What does that mean?”
“I mean, he lives here with us, a married couple, their son and a dog. I wouldn’t feel comfortable bringing people over in that situation and I’m sure Junior doesn’t either.” 
Steve looked at her confused, what was she getting at?
“Steve -“ Romy tried to spell it out for him “how would you react if we’d see Tani sneaking out of Junior’s room in the morning?” 
“Tani?” 
“Schnuffi” Romy patted his cheek. “I’ll explain when you grow up.” Nahele snorted in the background, he loved it when his Mom needed to point out the obvious to his Dad. 
“It’s just…” Steve busied himself with the steaks on the grill, “We’re going to have an empty nest.” 
“I’m sure we can find a way to distract us from the empty nest,” Romy whispered into his ear, letting her hand wander down to his bum squeezing it.
“Teenage son still present!” Nahele shouted and shuddered at the same time. 
“Okay.” Steve coughed out, trying to distract himself from Romy’s wandering hands. “Hey, Junior, these are almost done! Hey, what happened, we run out of beer?” 
They had not run out of beer, but it seemed the my run out of Junior. the young man had disappeared, without a trace or so much as a note. He was not answering his phone, and his car was still in the driveway. It did not add up. 
Tani had no idea either and was worried enough to drive over, she even had called Noelani. Suddenly their living room was full of people, including Noelani’s date, but no-one knew where Junior was. It had taken her a couple of minutes to reassure Nahele to still go out with his friends and celebrate his birthday. There was nothing he could do right now. 
For once the ringing of Steve’s phone was not met with a frustrated groan but with an anticipated silence. 
“Junior.” Each of them let out a sigh of relief hearing him say his name. “Hey, hey, hey. Where are you?” 
“What are you talking about? Who's "they"? Where are you?” He listened carefully to Junior. His hand coming up to cover the bottom part of his phone, and turned to the others. “He's being deployed.” His attention went back to the phone call “Okay, understood. Look, uh, appreciate the call.” 
There was more back and forth, but Steve had stepped  further towards their office. They could only make out bits of the conversation, but the words ‘National Security’ made all of them wince. 
——xx——xx—— 
The others had left shortly after Steve had hung up with Junior and stormed upstairs. Romy got Tani only with the explicit promise to leave that she would keep her in the loop. She was glad that Nahele had already left with his friends to his bonfire party. She didn’t want to explain this to him during the heat of it happening. 
“Talk to me.” Romy handed him some T-Shirts, as he packed his backpacks. 
“Junior thinks it’s Joe.” 
“Joe? Isn’t he in Nebraska living his retirement?” 
“He did some freelance work -“
Romy shook her head, of course he did. From everything Steve and Danny told her about Joe he did not seem like the guy to enjoy a quiet retirement. Why did that Steve’s tone of voice however sound like this could be their retirement too? Not something she wanted to think about right now. 
“and he got captured.” Steve’s voice shook for a fracture of a second. If she would not know him as well as she did, she’d have missed it. Her heart broke for him. 
“The intel the Navy has is…fuck.” Steve run his hands through his hair harshly. “I…gorgeous…”, he stuttered, before blurting out the dreaded “National Security exemption.” 
“Steve?” 
“I can’t tell you anything more.” His resolve strong. This would be it, Romy would not get anything more. The less she knew the better. He would not drag her into the focus of an internal Navy investigation, that would sure follow this stunt.  “Junior is already in deep shit telling me about this, I ain’t dragging you into it too.” 
“I get it.” Romy pulled at his hand, moving him to stand between her legs on the bureau. His forehead came to rest against hers. “He’s a big part of your life. You need to go.” 
“I just…I know I need to go,” he swallowed, “but there is so much here. I don’t know for how long I’ll be gone. I’m leaving on our son’s birthday and fuck - it’s Nahele’s graduation next week and…” 
“Hey!” Romy bopped his nose with hers, forcing Steve to look up. Her hands framing his face and her thumbs tracing circles on his cheek. “Talk to Nahele. This is important. He might not like it, but he will understand. He’s your son. He’ll get it.” 
“You sure?” She hated how uncertain he sounded. He hated disappointing Nahele.
“Yes, I’m sure.” 
“How sure?” 
“As sure as I know that my last name contains McGarrett.” 
“I love you,” he pressed his lips to her cheek, peppering soft kisses until he reached her lips. Deepening the kiss, his tongue dancing around the seam of her lips. He ended the kiss abruptly and stepped back. Trying to burn the image of Romy in his mind. Her hair messed up from his hands, her lips swollen from his kiss. She looked loved, loved by him. His favourite look on her.  
“Be careful.” Romy’s whispered words haunted him all the way down the stairs and out of the door. 
——xx——xx—— 
Steve dialled Nahele from his car. 
“Dad?” Nahele sounded out of breath. Steve could hear voices and music in the background. “Is everything ok? Is Junior alright?” 
“Yeah, something has come up, ‘Hele,” he quickly laid out what happened during the last hour.  “I’m sorry, I might miss your graduation.”
He could hear Nahele swallow before he said. “That’s ok.”
“No its not.” 
“Dad, I understand.” 
“Nahele.” 
“I mean Joe White is your you.”
“What?” 
“I mean he’s the one who helped to put you on the right path, right? The one who helped you find family?“ Nahele said self-consciously. “That’s what you did for me. You need to help him. I’ve got more graduations coming up.” 
Steve choked up a little bit, hearing Nahele put the situation put plainly. “I’m so proud of you. So proud of the man you’re becoming.” 

——xx——xx—— 

Romy paced, she paced a lot. She was sure she had lapped the house several times in the past couple of days. It helped her burning off the nervous energy that took hold of her body, whenever Steve was unable to call her. So she paced, a peppermint tea her one constant companion in her hand. It did not ease the summersaults her tummy was doing performing, as always when her husband was off doing whatever he needed to do. 
“You need to stop pacing, girl!” Renee told her for the fifth time. 
“You even make me motion sick,” Kono piped up from the iPad screen. 
Romy spun around, making the tea slosh in her cup. She sucked the skin between her thumb and forefinger in her mouth, hoping to sooth the sting off hot water. “I’m trying,” she said torturedly. 
“We know, babe. We know,” Renee pulled her down next to her. 
“I mean, he is a freaking Navy Seal, I don’t even want to know the extend of things he can do, but,” she took a sip of her tea. “It’s Nahele’s graduation in two days. He’d never forgive himself if he misses that.” 
She met Renee’s raised eyebrow with a little shrug “and I’m worried.” Romy admitted with a small smile. 
“There it is,” Kono cheered, as Renee pulled Romy in a hug. 
——xx——xx—— 
The phone rung in the middle of the night “We got him.” Steve’s voice startled her wide awake. Romy sat up with the phone pressed to her ear. 
“I’m so glad.” Relief palpable in her voice. Her fist clenching, trying to stop the trembling. “Are you ok?” 
“I’m fine. It got a bit close for a second, but we made it out. We’re on our way to Ramstein. Do you think…”
“I’ll call the family.” She got up and rummaged for some paper and a pen. “What do you need?” 
Steve rattled down his list of what he and Joe needed. “Were you worried?” He asked afterwards. “Romy?” he singsonged her name a little, when she did not answer straight away. 
“A little.” She could feel his questioning stare through the phone. “Ok, a lot,” she traced the little doodle she made at the bottom of her list. “I hate that stupid National Security Rule.” Romy admitted. 
“It keeps you safe.” 
“I know.” she was quiet for a moment, her lip caught in her teeth. “I miss you.” 
“I’ll be home soon. I miss you too.” 
Romy stared at her dark phone in her hand. They had hung up a couple of moments ago. Her brain still processing what he had told her, or rather what he had not told her. She did not want to imagine, the things he saw, the things he did. What Joe went through in his months of captivity? A wet sensation startled Romy out of her thoughts. Eddie had moved over from Steve’s side of the bed and nudged her hand. “He’s ok, buddy.” Romy smiled, while she rubbed a treacherous tear off her cheek. “He’s just fine.” she pressed a kiss into his fur. “Now let’s organise them some clothes,” she said with a wet chuckle, earning herself another lick to her hand. After making two more phone calls, she snuggled back down into her pillows. Her hands scratching rhythmically over Eddie’s back, and for the first time this week she fell asleep deeply. 

——xx——xx—— 

A knock on the door interrupted Steve and Joe’s conversation. “Can I come in?” 
“Paul!” Steve exclaimed pulling his brother in law into a hug. 
“I’ve been dispatched with clothes and very specific hospital stay supplies by my sister.” Paul dropped the duffle bag at the bottom of Joe’s bed. 
“Nice to meet you, Joe. I’m Paul the handsome one of the brother in laws.” 
“You managed to find a wife with two brother in laws?” Joe looked up at Steve. “That’s just asking for trouble.”
“Nah, we are docile,” Paul nudged Steve with his shoulder. “The wife is the one that spells trouble.” 
“She’s perfect,” Steve defended Romy instantly, making Joe and Paul chuckle, and the latter coughed “Whipped” into his hand. Joe however looked at Steve’s face. The way he was so quick to utter the words. If he was honest with himself he always thought that Catherine and Steve were the perfect couple, but everything he ever said about her never sounded as honest as the three little words he uttered about Romy. 
“I only met her once,” he said, referring to their two seconds of interactions, when Danny was being extradited to Columbia. He couldn’t believe it, how had he not met her again? True, he had been abducted for the last 9 months, but why not go back to Hawaii before? Meet the woman who meant the world to Steve. Meet the son he keeps texting, who’s accomplishments he heard so much about. Was he scared? Scared to admit that he got it wrong? That maybe he did not know Steve as well as he thought? Or maybe that Steve continued to grow and he did not? “But she does not seem like a wife who would forgive her husband if he missed their sons graduation.” 
“You’d be in deep shit indeed,” Paul added on cheekily. 
“I can’t….what about you?” He looked over at Joe. 
“I’ll be ok,” Joe sat up slightly, grunting in pain a bit. “I’ve got some wonderful nurses, and maybe Paul wouldn’t mind hanging around for a bit. Giving me all the details about Romy?” 
“Well, you came to the right brother,” Paul nodded enthusiastically, “ I’m the one with all the stories.”

——xx——xx—— 

Romy’s heart constricted as she heard Nahele reassure her for the umpteenth time. “I’m ok, Mom. Really. It sucks, but Dad is with Joe. It’s important.” 
She did not know if she should be proud or if she should hate that he tried to be strong in this situation. He should be upset. Maybe not upset with Steve, but at the situation. Ah well, and if Nahele be upset at Steve she’d let him.  
They had left late, both of them trying to give Steve another minute, then one more, and another one to arrive, so they could drive over to the school together. As a family. 
Romy found her and Steve’s allocated seats among the other parents. She took a deep breath, she wanted to relax, to be really present. It was not every day that your son graduates. She would enjoy it, with or without Steve, for both of them. How was she sitting at her kids High School graduation? Where have the last 4 years gone? She tried to spot Nahele in the sea of gowns and hats, but couldn’t really make it him out. She craned her neck in the other direction, but there was no tall, handsome man barrelling through the crowd either. She shifted in her seat, and fanned herself with the program. It was a hot day again, she could almost feel her makeup melt off her face. 
“Sorry, still waiting for someone,” she smiled semi politely at the woman who had been eyeing the empty chair next to her for the last 20 minutes. That family already had 6 seats, could they not leave Nahele his second one? He had not wanted for anyone else to attend the ceremony, and she’d be damned if his father needed to stand, just because some people got extra greedy. 
A small gong sounded across the field, indicating that the ceremony was about to start. Eddie sat up to attention, his teal bowtie was matching Romy’s linen jumpsuit. She was going for full out cheese, hoping that Steve would see the tie she left him on their bed. Romy shifted in her seat, trying to get a better angle of the graduates. The speeches were ok, she would say. The headmaster definitely gave his already more than once, he knew the exact points when to stop for the anticipated laughter. The valedictorian was nervous, but her speech was lovely. And then it was finally time, the names of the graduates were being called. Romy got emotional when first Joel and then Stella were called up and walked over the stage. 
“Did I miss it?” 
Romy shuddered, as his breath hit her exposed shoulder blades and neck. 
“Steve.” 
“I didn’t miss it did I?” He asked again, his arm settling over her shoulder, his thumb brushing her bare collarbone. 
“No,” Romy breathed out, turning her head over to him. Steve was still in his Navy Seal Working Uniform. She pulled him close in for a chaste kiss hello. “You didn’t miss it. There are 5 more ahead of him.” 
“Thank god.” Steve’s lips brushed against her temple. He was so glad he made it on time. This was one moment he did not want to miss. “I’m sorry.” 
“What are you sorry for?” 
“Not getting changed. I’m sure you had a whole outfit planned.” he tucked at her off shoulder sleeve, and nodded down to Eddie’s bowtie. 
“I don’t care. You’re here that’s all that matters.” 
“Nahele McGarrett!” was proclaimed over the loud speaker, and Steve forgot his retort as both him and Romy got up and cheered for their son, as he crossed the stage. 
Nahele was about to roll his eyes, at the spectacle his Mom made, when he heard the deep voice of his Dad through her cheers. The grin overtook his whole face, as he turned to the audience and placed the cord on the other side of his hat. He managed to do something he never thought he would, while having something he’d never thought he get. Today was a great day, graduating with his family. 

——xx——xx—— 

Nahele knew that he should feel excited. That he should be glad to finally be free of his parents. To no longer living at home. 
All of his friends were already scheming on what they would do first. How to celebrate that they were off to college and could do whatever they wanted. Sitting in his bedroom he surveyed his half packed things. He had not wanted to leave home.  The cosy rocking chair in the office. The smell that hit him every time he stepped into the house, a combination of all of them plus the fragrant flowers and sea breeze that always seemed to seep through his home. How Eddie would always make sure to greet him and demand a scratch behind his left ear. He’d miss the daily run with his Dad, baking cinnamon rolls with his Mom. God he’d even miss the PDA he always scoffed at. 
Nahele would never admit it to anyone but if his study path had been available in Oahu, he’d stayed. To be home, a home that took what felt like forever for him to find. It wasn’t perfect, nothing was, but god it was his. 

They flew over to the Big Island as a family. Neither Steve or Romy wanted to miss that rite of passage, and neither of them wanting to cut short their time with Nahele. Romy was glad that he had chosen to the stay within the state for college and had not chosen a school on the mainland. She’d already missed him and they had not even said goodbye yet, and he would only be an hour flight away. 
All three of them where quiet during the flight and the drive to University. It was starting to hit them, that only two of them would fly back to Honolulu, only two of them would return to their Aina Haina home. 
His dorm was a bloody mess, and Romy had never been so glad for her apprenticeship where she learned how to deep clean a hotel room in 30 minutes. They had a to do list as long as her arm and the moment they managed to cross something off, Romy managed to add at least two more things on. Steve and Nahele were groaning at her as she contemplated which handheld hoover would be the best at Target. Only after Nahele’s things had been unpacked, a good coffee cart had been scouted within walking distance and about 50 reminders to be safe and to call them, Steve and Romy had finally worked up the nerves to say goodbye. 

He saw how his Mom, bit her lip and looked up every once in a while, a sure sign she was close to tears. She had not been allowed to cry, he had told her. Nahele was sure, she thought that this him not wanting to be embarrassed in front of the other kids. Truthfully though, she could not cry, cause if she started crying so would he.  His parents were on their way back to Oahu and he had not yet shed a tear. He could do this, he was a grown man for goodness sake. Violently he opened the last suitcase, and something soft tumbled out of it on its own. ‘Oh dammit!’ he thought to himself, as he hugged his family blanket to his chest and let the tears fall. 

If the flight and ride to college had been quiet, the return journey had been deadly. Neither Steve nor Romy were up for talking, the changes to their family weighing heavily on their minds. Not much had been said since Romy’s admission after they had gotten in to their rental car. 
“I miss my son,” Romy pouted at Steve. 
“Gorgeous,” Steve sighed. “We literally said goodbye 10 minutes ago.” 
“And your point is?” she crossed her arms over her chest in a huff. “The house is going to be so quiet without him.” 

Eddie had greeted them more subdued than ever before, realising that the boxes and suitcases they had carried out of the house, really meant someone was not coming back. He took it extremely hard that first Junior had moved out and now Nahele too. Romy was pouring them a drink at the bar cart, while listening into Steve’s phone conversation with Junior. 
“Hey. W—“ he swatted lightly at Eddie.  “Stop with the begging. Are you-- you're enormous.” He exclaimed as Eddie bumped into him. “What, did you put on nine pounds while I was away? How'd you even do that?” He directed his next question at Junior again. “Hey, uh, when you said you gave Eddie a few treats, how many is "a few”?”
“I don't know, like three or four.” Junior was laughing through the phone. 
“What, like, every hour?” Steve’s voice squeaked at the thought of Eddie leaving on treats alone. 
“Sorry,” Romy held in a little snort. Junior did not sound sorry at all. “Maybe we partied a little hard,  he was feeling depressed about Nahele leaving. I thought some treats would help with the separation.”
“You know, if the doc classes him as obese, you are going to be in charge of his fitness regime.” Steve grouched. Romy wandered over to him, and took the phone out of his hand.
“Thanks for taking care of him, Juns. We owe you one. Enjoy the rest of your night,” with that she hung up the phone and handed Steve his glass. “Never call my dog fat ever again.” She poked Steve in the chest, before she nudged him to the patio doors. “Come on Schnuffi, lets’ sit outside.” 
They settled into the andirondack chairs on the beach, Romy’s feet in his lap, and Eddie’s head in hers. They shared a languish kiss, that Romy moving into Steve’s lap, and that was for once neither interrupted by Nahele nor Steve’s phone.  
“Maybe the empty nest isn’t too bad,” Romy murmured against Steve’s neck, tightening her arms around him. 
“Told you.” Steve grinned, letting the chin rest on the top of her head. 

——xx——xx—— 

The empty and cold spot next to her startled Romy awake. With a sluggish throw off her arm, she realised it was still a bit warm. Steve could not have gone that long. She padded down the hallway when she noticed that Nahele’s door was at a different angle then when they went to bed. 
There he stood in the middle of the half empty room. “Schnuffi?” she announced herself softly, as to not to startle her husband. She could see the corner of his mouth twitch. How silly of her, herNavy Seal husband must have heard the moment she got out of bed. Romy took that as her go ahead. She stepped up behind and wrapped her arms around Steve. Her hands interlacing over his chest. Steve’s hands followed hers instantly, settling over hers, squeezing them in recognition.
“You were right,” he whispered. “I miss him. The house is too quiet without him.” 

 

Chapter 54: Next to you

Summary:

Summary: There was supposed to be a holiday, but instead there are spy rings. So many spy rings

Warnings: SMUT

Episode: 8  - 25 and Episode 9 - 1 & 2

Notes:

Hello, lovelies,

How are you all?

Are you ready for season 9? I am! I’ve been mapping 6 chapters so far and we are for a rollercoaster. Steve’s theme song for this season is Darling by Need to Breathe. It’s season 9 for him in a nutshell. Romy has several this time around. I’ll point them out as we go along, for this chapter its Next to you by Little Big Town. Can’t wait to hear your thoughts on this little chapter.

Enjoy xx

Chapter Text

——xx——xx——

 

“You! This is all you!” Danny gestured over to Romy wildly. She stood behind Kamekona, with a grin on her face. She had not wanted to come, preferring to be the silent, really silent advisor, that just whispered every once in a while in Kamekona’s ear. Her friend however had insisted, so here she was. Already in her off work clothes, cause she was only going to be popping into the office to lock her work phone into her desk drawer and then she and Steve were going to head off onto their Californian road trip. Well, as soon as Danny was done throwing his tantrum and actually signed the agreement.

“You wanted a partner, who brings in money. Kamekona is offering you all that, plus his expertise on how to run a profitable business on this island.” Romy shrugged innocently.

Steve raised his eyebrows at her, of course she was involved in this. Her recent trips to Kamekona’s truck did not involve a craving for shrimp at all. He earned himself a little wink, and almost groaned out loud. His wife was enjoying this - a lot.

“Come on, Romy! This contract is ridiculous.” Danny picked up his rant again.

“It’s boilerplate.”

“It’s taking all of our decision power. It’s ludicrous!”

“No, Danny.”

‘Uh oh!’ In Steve’s head alarm bells were going off. This was Romy’s ‘you’re an idiot voice’, I think the last time he heard that, was during that disastrous Valentine’s Day two years ago.

“What is ludicrous is trying to open a restaurant when you got no fucking idea how to run one. It’s be like me trying to be a cop all of a sudden. And what tops it off is you never asking people who know what to do for advise. So yeah this is a boilerplate contract, for someone who needs to protect his name and assets while he still wants to help. Stupidity must be punished.”

‘Ouch!’ Both Kamekona and Steve winced at the last one. Steve knew she wasn’t happy about the whole restaurant thing, but he did not realised just how much. Romy Never called anybody stupid. Asshole was definitely used a lot, and some more inventive German insults, sure. But never stupid. It was one of her red flags. She had men in her life used it when they didn’t want to listen to her, or didn’t care for her opinion. Her uttering that word…his wife was pissed.

“Okay,” Danny put his copy of the contract to the side. “Uh, I'm-I'm not signing that.”

“Me either,” Steve agreed with his partner.

“And I haven't seen any financial statements.” Danny turned to Steve. “Have you seen any financial statements?”

“Brothers,” Kamekona waved Flippa and two of the other guys forward. Romy’s eyes blew wide, as they popped open the three suitcases. She had never seen that much money before.  “250 large, just like we agreed. How's that for a statement?”

“Stupid,” Steve looked behind him at Romy, how could she run around with Kamekona and two suitcases filled to the brim with cash. His wife shrugged, and shook her head. At least she did not know, making Steve feel marginally better. He crossed his arm, surveying the cash before him. “W-Why didn't you wire the money like a normal human being?”

“I don't trust banks.” Kamekona declared, making Romy bite down on her lips to keep the giggle inside.

“Okay. Let's imagine for a second that I completely lose my mind and decide to agree. Okay?” Danny had started gesticulating wildly. “What are we supposed to do with this? You want us to just keep this money in a suitcase?”

“Heck no. Can't keep those.” Their big Hawaiian friend almost screeched. “Just the cash. I need those suitcases back.”

Steve put the wad of bills, which he had just spot-checked, back into the suitcase  “You know what? We're cops. It's gonna be fine.”

“We're cops?” Danny asked back, and off they both went again on a tangent about their missing tools.

“Boys, please!” Romy tried to put their attention back on the situation in front of them.  She snorted loudly, when Steve’s phone broke up their argument. At least Danny was having the same issues she had. “Hey, yo, this is Joe White. He's probably out of the hospital. I got to take this.“ Steve announced as he passed her to take the call.

Romy had followed Steve outside. She brushed his hip, as she moved past him. “I see you in an hour.” She whispered, while pressing a kiss onto his cheek.

Steve got hold of her hand, squeezing it in agreement. “Later” he mouthed, nodding his head along to what joe was saying on the phone.

With a smile he let go of her hand, watching her quickly crossing the road and getting into her car. His hand raised in a wave as Romy drove past him.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Three weeks! She hadn’t had three weeks of uninterrupted holiday in years. It almost felt surreal typing her return date in the out of office message. Her phone was already securely locked away in her assistants desk. “I can lock this away myself. I promised Ani, too.”

“I’m really, really sorry Mrs Erha…Romy,” her new assistant Sandra swallowed nervously. “Ani reminded my several times, she even wrote it in her handover notes.” She tapped on the binder that Ani had left behind with instructions on how to handle…Romy wasn’t actually too sure, if it was a manual for the job or how to handle her. She shook her head, actually she did not want to know. What would be saying, ‘When cranky throw her some gummy bears and run?’ ‘Make sure there is coffee.’ ‘Know all the gossip, the boss wants to gossip too and nobody will with her.’

“Anyway, I have perfectly fine desk draw with a key too.”

“Ani said,” this time Sandra actually opened the binder and read out loud. “Don’t trust her when it comes to gummy bears and her phone. She will lie to you to keep either of them.”

Damn, Ani did know her well. “Fine!” Romy pouted and slapped her phone in Sandra’s hand. “Have it your way.” With a put on expression she asked “I’m still allowed to set my own out of office though, aren’t I?”

Sandra actually looked down at her binder. “Ani didn’t specify anything, so I guess it’s ok.”

Romy stalked back into her office, typing out a message to Ani on her personal phone.

R: ‘You really put everything in that bloody binder, did you?’

Instead of a response, her phone vibrated with a phone call a couple of minutes later. Romy had just pressed the ok button on her out of office message. “She needed to know.” Ani said instead of a hello.

“About the gummy bears too?”

“That was from Steve. He said something about eating healthier….”

“I hate you bo…” Romy had gotten up and walked over to the window. “Oh fuck!” She breathed out.

“Romy, you ok?”

“Yeah, yeah I need to call you back in a second. There is a submarine in the bay.”

“Wha-“

Romy didn’t hear Ani’s question anymore. She had hung up. Without even looking at her display, she pressed her first speed dial. This couldn’t be happening, could it?

“Hi gorgeous, you rea-“

“Steve,” she interrupted her husband unceremoniously. “There is a fucking U-boat on my beach.”

“What?”

“Has the palace not blown up with messages yet?” She shrieked down the phone. How could he not know about this?  “A freaking submarine, with a massive red star is right in front of the hotel. I mean it’s in the water in front of me. Are we at war? Steve don’t tell me we are at war! We’ve got fucking plane tickets for tonight. We can’t go on holiday, if we’re at war with Russia!” Romy was unspooling. She could feel it, Steve on the other end of the line could feel it too.

His landline before him started ringing. The governor. Hopefully some answers.

“Gorgeous,” he hoped he sounded calm. Romy didn’t need him to freak out too. But fuck if she was right…a Russian submarine in Hawaiian waters, that meant….that could mean….war. “I need you to take a breath, ok.” He waited for her to breathing to calm down. I got the Governor ringing me right now and you got a hotel to lockdown. I call you as soon as I know more.”

“I love you.” Her voice sounded calmer now, no longer on the verge of hyperventilating.

“I love you, too.”

Romy took another look out of her window. No time to panic. It was time to work.

“Sandra!” She strode out of her office. “Time to unlock my phone. We need to crash the hotel.”

——xx——xx——

It took Romy twenty minutes to lockdown the hotel and then all bets were off. With her heels in hand she raced down to  the beach. Luckily she spotted the Five - 0 team straight away. Lou squeezed her shoulder in, she wasn’t too sure, was it comfort or a greeting. Maybe both. She’d wish she had time for a hug from Lou. Next to her husband he gave the best hugs. “What is he doing?” she asked in the round, nodding over to Steve, who was waving some flags at the submarine.

“Well, apparently he is communicating with them,” Danny scoffed. “Looks more like landing a plane to me though.” He waved off Junior, the young Navy Seal trying to explain once more what Steve was waving. “I get it” Danny placating him.

“He talked to the governor, who talked to the president who is trying to get Putin on the phone.” Lou filled her in.

Romy started to feel a bit faint.

Sure.

Of course - her days always turned out great when the words: Governor, President and Putin were uttered. “I guess there goes our holiday tonight,” she deadpanned. Trying to inject some humour. Romy could feel herself unspooling again, this was absolutely not helped by Steve jumping into a boat, heading towards the submarine. “He is trying to kill me, isn’t he?” she asked Danny.

“You and me both, babe.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy had gone home, there was nothing that she could do right now. Well, except for cancelling their flights and informing Mary, Chin and Kono that they won’t be seeing them during their road trip. Their cancelled road trip. With a big sigh of regret she pressed the cancelled button on their flight reservation, taking a big gulp off wine while doing so.

Sometimes life just sucked.

She could hear the landline ring inside, but by the time she had managed to get out from behind the lanai table, the ringing had stopped. Only the telltale sign of the beep sounded through the quiet room.

“Hi parents, just me. Wanted to leave you a nice little voicemail so you can hear my voice when you are coming back from your roadtrip. Kinda gutted you’re not…” Romy cut off Nahele’s monologue with accepting the call.

“Hey kiddo!”

“Mama?” Nahele asked surprised. “What are you doing at home? You should be on a plane to LA.”

“Are you not watching the news on the Big Island?”

“Nah, what’s up?”

“A Russian submarine turned up on Honolulu Bay this afternoon.”

“So, your trip is what? Cancelled?”

“Apparently there is a Russian soldier loose on the island.”

“Fuck!”

“Yes,” Romy laughed. “Anyway, enough about my lost holiday. Talk to me, kiddo. What are you up to? Did you have your first hangover already? Been living off pot noodles?”

Nahele giggled through the line, “Yes to the first, no to the second.” Then he launched into a story of his first college party.

She had hung up the phone with Nahele and then taken Eddie on his evening walk. Her conversation with her son playing on her mind. She missed him so much, it was ridiculous. The evenings when Steve was out chasing bad guy, where a lot more lonely without Nahele in the house. “At least I still got you, don’t I?” Romy kneeled down to pick up the ball Eddie had dropped in front of her feet. After an hour playing and walking in the surf, Romy and Eddie drudged back to the house. “Steve” she exclaimed, as she let herself and Eddie back in through the lanai door. Steve turned around, his face badly beaten up. “What the fuck happened?”

Romy noticed how his hands were shaking, a glass and the bottle of whiskey in each hand. “Let me,” Romy stepped forward, taking both from him. She poured a generous two finger wide, handing him the glass back. “Please sit down,” with that she pushed him towards the lanai. She joined him 2 minutes later, he had settled down on their swing. His glass almost empty and she was glad she had not only brought the first aid kit, but also the bottle. While she was dabbing the cuts and bruises with alcohol, Steve recounted his day. The rogue submarine sailor, the exposure of a Russian spy ring, which they only started to unravel. “It’s been eventful” Romy surmised his story.

“You can say that again,” Steve pulled Romy close, making her cuddle into his side. “I’m so sorry, gorgeous.” His lips found her hairline. “I promise I’ll make it up to you.”

“Schnuffi,” Romy sighed. “Its not like you planned to have a Russian Spy ring expose themselves today.” Steve tugged on her hair slightly. “I mean, am I happy for our trip to be cancelled? Hell no! But this, this is our life. And I’m so proud of you for doing your job.” She kissed the underside of his jaw. “Also if we’d have gone, I’d have missed Nahele calling the landline today. He wanted to leave us a message to come home to.”

“Ah dammit!” Steve’s hand massaged Romy’s scalp, while pulling her face up to his. “How the fuck did we got so lucky with our kid?”

“I have no idea.” Romy held his eyes for a moment, before his lips on hers made her close them. Their fused mouths, swallowed Romy’s moan, when his tongue caressed hers.

Fuck, he could not wait to have more kids with that woman!

 

——xx——xx——

 

An idea was rolling around Steve’s head for a couple of days. It had been there ever since they had needed to cancel their Californian road trip. He and Romy needed to get away. They needed to relax. Needed to forget about new and green assistants, needed to forget about Russian spy cells, about long work days and too short quality time with each other. So he did. He felt so proud, watching Romy’s face brighten like a lightbulb, when he lifted the blindfold of her.

“Really?” she gripped his hand a little tighter.

“Really,” he confirmed her suspicions. “3 days, 72 hours of just you and me on a boat, on the open sea.” His hand on the small of her back, guiding her down to the boat he had organised with Wade Gutches. It had a sun deck, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom. Everything that they needed. “No phones”

“No make up” Romy continued. Another conversation they had years ago coming back to her mind, when they had been struggling to carve out time for each other as well.

“Exactly,” Steve drew her into his arms, placing small kisses on her forehead, down the bridge of her nose, “but this time no Danny.”

“Sounds perfect!”

——xx——xx——

 

And it was perfect, they lounged in the sun, jumped into the sea to cool off. Had champagne from breakfast until midnight, interspersed only by food and the odd beer. Their phones only to be used to snap a picture, some of those would definitely land in their password protected folder. It was funny Romy thought, as they laid on the sun lounger together, their fingers trailing paths on each others skin. Somehow they had forgotten how to be a couple without someone else in the house. It felt new, and old at the same time. Like your favourite sweater that you put on for the first time in a very long time.

“You know sometimes I think we’re the couple of Up.”  Steve interrupted her silent musings.

“Up?” Romy exclaimed. “Steve!”

“What?” He didn’t understand her put out shriek.  “They were absolutely in love with each other.”

“Yes! And she died…they never had any kids…and he turned into a lonely and sad man.” She hugged herself closer to his body.

“They loved each other.” Steve reiterated his point.

“He was alone and sad for so long…” Pain was radiating of Romy’s voice. How could he want that?

“Gorgeous,” Steve shifted on his side, catching Romy’s eyes. “Why are you concentrating on that and not the good part?”

“Cause I don’t want that for you,” she grabbed his hand in hers, kissing his knuckles. “I want you to be happy and surrounded by our kids and grandkids and great grandkids.”  She flipped their hands over, tracing each line with her finger nail - relishing in his shudders.

“I can’t do that” Steve wretched his eyes of her fingers, boring now into hers. He swallowed before continuing “should you die before I do. I can guarantee you - I won’t be happy.”

Romy sighed “as long as you aren’t lonely.” She acquiesced, who was she kidding. She would not be happy without him either.

“Surrounded by kids and grandkids.” Steve gave into her demands.

“And great grandkids” Romy added with a small smile.

“Those too.” He threw his leg over hers, bringing her whole body flush with his. “What is it with you and that movie, in any case?” Steve asked.

“Up and Paddington are the only movies which ever made me ugly cry.”

“Up and Paddington?” Steve confirmed.

“Yeah….nobody deserves to be lonely.” Romy shrugged self consciously. Steve smiled at her, the setting sun bathing them both in soft light, while lighting Romy’s hair on fire. That sentence described Romy so much more than anything else, he’d ever heard.

“I love you.”

Romy looked up at his words. A smile as radiant as their surrounding spreading over her face. “I love you, too.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

What were these two up to? Was the question bouncing around her head, as Romy stepped out of her heels and barefoot onto the grass behind the house. She had just left a gruelling work meeting and was greeted by two very sweaty and half naked men in her back yard. “Well, isn't this cute?” Romy called out to both Steve and Junior, who were digging up her garden. “And suspiciously felonious,” she pointed to the bags full of money waiting to be buried.

Junior laughed a little breathlessly, while leaning on the shovel. “I see someone's been using their word- of-the-day calendar.” He teased Romy, bringing up his last Christmas present to her.

“It's not actually what it looks like.” Steve winked at her.

“You're right.” Romy nodded, sitting down in one of the garden lounge chairs. She bumped her fist into Tani’s shoulder in greeting. She flexed her feet, still aching from being in heels the whole day. “Yeah, it doesn't look like you two are working for Pablo Escobar. How silly of me to think that.” She nodded along the old tune playing from the bluetooth speakers.

“What's wrong, Eddie?” she asked her pup, who was whining at her. “They're not letting you dig? So, are we making a deposit or a withdrawal?” She directed her question to the boys.

“Deposit.” They both groaned out simultaneously.

“It's a long story.” Steve answered Tani’s unanswered question.

“Is it? Well, I got time.” Tani leaned back in her chair. “All I have to do is watch two sweaty men dig.”

“You want a beer while you ogle?” Romy knocked her feet into Tani’s. She could do with a beer right now as well. She needed to cool down, sweaty Steve would always get her hot and bother.

“Unless you need help?” Tani’s question brought Romy out of her daydream, which definitely contained a lot less people in her garden.

“Oh, no, it's all right.” Steve waived of. “We got Danny and Grover coming over in a couple of minutes.” He threw a smirk to her wife, he had seen her lick her lips a split second ago. And he instantly regretted asking for help.

Tani sat up, and asked. “Do you?” “Like, now I feel left out.” She rattled off some hashtags, which Romy tried to blend out. God, she was getting old, she had no idea why people needed to talk in hashtags. She almost did not realise that Steve was on the phone once more.

“We got to tie this up.” He rammed the shovel into the ground, “Let's, uh let's go.” With that he stormed into the house.

Romy followed him, two steps behind him. She caught up with him, when he stared at his sweat soaked tank top he had ripped off himself when he stepped into their ensuite bathroom. “Steve,” her hand finding its home, between his shoulder blades.

“It’s Hennessey.”

“Agent Hennessey?” Romy turned the shower on. “The one who helped you to track down…”

“Yeah,” Steve’s eyes closed for second, his hands balled into fists. “We were friends, I think. As much as you could be friends with a CIA Agent. We were downrange together too…” He watched her wiggle out of her navy blue work dress, the zipper going all the way down Romy’s back and his trail of thoughts left his brain, as the dress peeled off his wife. “Romy?” His voice husky. There went her bra, and then her panties. His eyes bugged out. Fuck his wife was… “Gorgeous. What…what are you…”

“Join me in the shower, Steve.”

That was his go ahead, finally his brain had caught up to his dick. Hearing his name tumbling from Romy’s lips, made everything around him disappear. And then he pounced. His basketball shorts pushed down, on the two steps it took him to sweep up Romy in his arms.

The water was drumming down on both of their bodies, and Steve’s back collided with the wall with a soft thud. The breath got knocked out of him even more when he felt Romy slide down his body, while her hands made the opposite journey up his thighs. “Fuck, Romy!” his voice wretched, as he watched his wife rake her fingernails over the inside of his thighs, and then a low moan escaped him, as her mouth enveloped the tip of his dick.

His head fell backwards, his hands burrowed into Romy’s hair, while her tongue made his knees weak. He could feel the pressure at his lower back building and while he was loving what his wife was doing to him, he needed to be in her. Needed to come in her. Right now.

“Romy!” Steve gasped, and guided her head away from his dick. “I need to be in you,” his lips against her ear.

“Fuck yes!” Romy pushed his fingers to her core. “You’re making me so wet.”

“Shit,” Steve felt his fingers sink into Romy’s core, she was dripping. “Did sucking my cock turn you on that much?”

“Steve, please!” her arms slinging around his neck, bracing herself against him, while his fingers set a rhythm inside of her and of her clit. “Fuck,” Romy quivered. “I’m so close. Seeing you loose your cool, turns me on so much.” She whined at the lost of his fingers inside of her. The next thing she knew, Steve had lifted her up, her back against their shower tiles. Steve slid into her, completing her. His hips setting harsh pace. Romy’s head fell forward onto his shoulder. She was so sensitive, his hip bone putting pressure onto her clit, making her loose her mind with every thrust. Trying to clench around him, to draw him further in every time he pulled out of her.

Steve’s breath tickled her ear “Are you close?”

“Steve. Harder. Faster.”  Her wish was his command, as he slammed into her again and again. He could feel her walls fluttering around him, but he was so close. He needed to come, in her, with her.

“So close, gorgeous. So fucking close,” his fingers found her clit, rubbing just above it in tight circles, making her keen. “That’s it. Come for me.” God, she needed to cum, he had no idea how long he could hold on any longer.

“I’m cumming, Steve. Just for you!” Romy felt herself snap, going rigid in his arms as she came. He could not have hold back now, he pulled her tight against him, as his orgasm rushed through him.

Steve turned them around, shielding her from the pounding water, while allowing it to wash away their combined fluids. He lifted her head from his shoulder. “Thank you, gorgeous.”

——xx——xx——

The scene that got her out of bed, stumbling down the stairs in the middle of the night was a blast from the past. Danny and Lou supporting Steve into the house, just like they did years ago when they rescued him from Wo Fat. She could see the apology forming on Danny’s lips, but she waved him off. It wasn’t like she was sleeping in any case, when her husband was off doing whatever he was doing. He had come home quickly to get changed and rushed off again. He had brushed a kiss on her lips, and uttered the dreaded words “National Security Exemption” and he was out of the door again.

“This kinda brings back memories” she muttered, dragging a washcloth over his arms and upper body.

“What do you mean?” Steve closed his eyes under her caresses. They could hear their friends downstairs ordering Chinese and opening beer bottles.

“Wo Fat.”

“When I was doing, whatever I was doing” the water sloshed around him, turning towards Romy. “I imagined him there, just for a second - I saw his face.”

“Then what happened?” Romy let her fingers rub over his cheek bone.

“Greer”

Romy waited, she had heard about Greer from Steve. How she had been Hennessey’s partner and how she suspected a mole somewhere in the agency. And that they had a thing eons ago. Steve was almost uncomfortable saying it out loud. Reassuring her almost immediately that it was a brief thing, way before Catherine and he hadn’t thought about that woman in years. It had almost made her laugh - his sincerity, but deep down after everything they’d been through, she appreciated it. Nothing worse than a wild imagination about your husband and another woman.

“She’s the mole.”

“Steve!” Romy was shocked that he’d divulge that much to her, especially after he invoked the national security clause.

“I can’t say anything more, just that she works with the Chinese.”

“First a Russian spy ring and now a Chinese one?” Romy played with his damp hair. “Is the CIA actually doing any work?”

 

——xx——xx——

 

“Eddie! No!” Romy shouted towards the garden. She knew he wasn’t ready to be left alone for long periods. Damn Steve for being so fucking persuasive with his morning sex that day. Eddie was definitely not being fine on his own for that long.

“Bad dog! She scolded him, as she got him out of the hole that he dug. Dollar bills floating around them like a butterflies.

“What did you do, Eddie?” Her strict voice making Eddie whimper a little. “Was that you’re revenge when Steve wouldn’t let you help digging the hole in the first place?” Romy grabbed a couple of notes out of the wind. “Fuck, fuck, fuck!” The money was even floating in the sea.

“Sit, Eddie!” She commanded the dog, while she send of a 911 to Steve and Danny. This was their investment that was currently floating away. Then she kicked of her shoes,  grabbed the leave catcher and waded into the waves.

Danny was the first to arrive, and he hadn’t even stepped foot in the garden she could hear his tirade already. Steve followed him shortly after and that was when the bickering started full force.

“We're gonna have to do a count.

You understand that?” Danny was in Topform today. “We're gonna do a count, and if that dog ate any of the money, you're gonna be in charge of finding out if whatever he ate comes out, you know what I mean?”

“Hey, I think, uh,” Romy came back from the beach, emoting the leave catcher onto the grass. “Eddie feels pretty bad about what he did, if that's any consolation.”

Eddie whined, begging for forgiveness not from Danny and Steve but from her.

“No. It's not. Thanks, though.” Danny said.

“I found most of the bills that made it into the water.” Romy double checked the beach again.

“Thank you,” Steve squeezed her hand in gratitude.”We need to get those dried, those cleaned, get whatever's left in the bag and then tally it all up.”

Romy wiped the sweat of her forehead, gathering her hair up in her little ‘Pebbles’- knot that Joanie was so fond of. Danny and Steve were still going at it, neither giving the each other an inch, making her head hurt even worse than it did before she started to fish for dollar bills in the Pacific Ocean.

“I think that burying Kamekona's money in your backyard was the stupidest, most ignorant, dumbest idea you ever had in the nine years I've known you. The dumbest. Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.” Danny was back on a roll and Romy had absolutely no intention of going anywhere close to this argument. So she busied herself sorting through the dollar bills, she was able to salvage trying to ignore two grown men arguing like teenage girls. When the conversation, could you call it one, turned to Eddie. Romy zoned back in

Danny threw some suggestions out there what to do to keep Eddie occupied“Buy it a toy. Buy it a stuffy. Buy it a-a bone. Something.”

“A stuffy?” Steve asked. Like he didn’t know what one was, or that he was responsible for 90% of the toys that Eddie had. Including a massive selection of stuffies.

“A Stu - A bully stick.” Danny tried to explain, Steve’s sarcasm flying right over his head.

“I know, buddy.” Romy scratched Eddie behind his ears. “I hate it when Mom and Dad argue, too.” Her pup whining at her in agreement.

“Well, don't just stand there and be handsome.” Danny begged Steve. “Say something. How'd it go with the governor?”

“It went great.” Steve’s voice definitely not matching his words. Romy grabbed Eddie on the collar. She did not, nor did she want to know about rogue CIA Agents betraying their country.

Steve had noticed Romy heading back inside, when he started talking about his meeting with governor. He found her in the kitchen, cutting open a pineapple.

“I don’t know if he deserves a treat,” his voice making her jump.

Romy whirled around, knife still in her hand, the other flying to her heart. “Well, you did not needed to play bad cop with him earlier on, scolding him. Let me buy back his love with treats.” she said while dropping another piece of fruit into Eddie’s awaiting mouth. Steve grasped her hips, after he liberated the chef’s knife from her grasp. “You never needed to buy this ones loves. You were his favourite from the very first second.” Romy blew a raspberry at him, humour twinkling in her eyes. “You’re my favourite, too.” Steve whispered, kissing her quickly. “We need to head off.”

“I thought so, when I heard your phone ring.” Romy wiped her hands on her T-shirt, then slid them up Steve’s chest and hooked them around his neck. “What happened?”

“A plane just made an emergency landing at Honolulu International. There was an explosion on board.”

“Fuck!”

“Yeah.”

“Be careful, commander.” Romy rose onto her toes and swiped a kiss onto his lips.

“Always!” with a final kiss and squeeze to her hips Steve left. Ready to deal with one more crisis threatening their island.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Steve kissed her neck again and nuzzled up against Romy’s ear. “You started your period today,” He stated, and dropped a little brown bag onto the desk., “and I know that this will make you feel better.”

Romy opened the bag, she closed her eyes when the well known scent hit her nostrils. “You got me cinnamon donuts from the Swedish bakery,” she looked up at him, adoration shining in her eyes. That Swedish Bakery was at least 30 minutes detour from the Palace to home, and that was in good traffic, which rarely happens in Honolulu. “You love me.” With that she pulled him down for another deep kiss.

“I do,” Steve whispered against her lips after they parted for some air.

“And well, we totalled Renee’s car. So Lou is going to live with us for a while.” He rushed out in one big breath, inching carefully backwards. Romy turned around slowly, and there he stood. Lou Grover with two bags in his hand.

“By the way I warned your husband, that this would happen.”

——xx——xx——

“Can I just say that I’m so proud of you for giving Danny his moment to teach them?” Romy laced her hands around Steve’s middle. She popped onto her toes to brush a kiss under his jaw. They had just finished brushing their teeth, and Steve had used their nighttime routine to fill Romy in on his day. From the double, double agent to Greer finally being captured and of course Danny’s excursion into the jungle.

“How proud?” He asked turning off the lights in the ensuite.

“Why don’t you find out?” Romy flirted with him. Steve grasped her underneath her butt, so she would jump up and wind her legs around his waist.

“Oh I intent to Mrs McGarrett,” Steve groaned, when Romy bit his earlobe.

“That’s Erhardt - McGarrett to you, Commander.” Her next words were swallowed by a moan, as Steve attached his lips to her neck and dropped them both onto their bed. Then he found out how proud Romy was of him. Twice.

 

——xx——xx——

 

“Ok, when are you taking your husband back?” Romy wedged her mobile between her shoulder and ear.

“He totalled my car.” Renee answered without missing a beat. “That car is my third child and now it’s kaputt!”

“That was actually my husband.” Romy felt the need to point out, maybe the punishing could be moved out of her house onto a neutral position.

“Hence why he’s getting punished too with Lou being there.”

Romy surveyed the scene before her. Lou in his underwear eating cereal in her kitchen. Steve dripping sweat everywhere scoping butter in his coffee. The two men chatting to each other, completely content with the situation.

“At the moment the only one getting punished is me. I need to live with the two of them, and I think they’re having the time of their life.”

“Collateral damage, hun.”

“Sometimes I really hate you.”

Renee hung up on her with a cheery “Love you too.” And Romy contemplated if it was too early for wine.

 

 

Chapter 55: The perfect storm

Summary:

Summary: It needs to get worse, before it can get better.

Warnings: A lot of them, and none of the fun ones. Divorce, Fertility issues, Character Death.

Episode: S9 - 3 - 6

Notes:

Hello, lovelies,

How are you all?

Happy Sunday! I hope you guys had a lovely weekend. Please heed the warning of this chapter. This is a hard one for everyone involved. Its going to get better soon. Soon’ish. I promise.

Enjoy xx

Chapter Text

——xx——xx——

 

“Akela, look who it is.” Duke nudged his granddaughter, who looked up from her swing with an excited smile

“Uncle Steve! Aunt Romy!” The little girl exclaimed and launched herself off the swing and into Steve’s arms.

“What's up?” Steve lifted her a bit higher, groaning theatrically. “You're enormous. What have they been feeding you?”

Akela grinned and whispered with a cheeky smile “Malasadas.”

“Malasadas?” Romy and Steve echoed her. Romy threw a quick look to Duke, her grin barely hiding.

“Shh! That's our secret,” he tried to cover up. His daughter would have his hide if she knew Akela was living on sweets every time she came to see him.

“I’ll tell you what. Your secret's safe with me if you let me borrow Grandpa for a minute. Is that okay?” Steve set the girl back down.

“Why don’t we find your Mum and see if she has some iced tea for us?” Romy held out her hand to Akela. The girl nodded “Yeah, that's fine.”

Romy squeezed Steve’s arm as a quiet sign of support before she made her way inside. Akela chatted away a mile a minute, about her school, her friends and the super cool new trainers that she got, which would light up every time she walked.

“So, you guys are here to what…” Carrie handed Romy a glass of ice tea. “Talk my father into attending that hearing?”

Romy shrugged, taking a sip of ice tea “Well, he is. I’m just here to see you.” she bumped her hip into Carrie’s.

“Ah aren’t you a sweetheart.”

“And to colour in with this lovely lady right here.” Romy leaned over the breakfast island, picking up the crayon that Akela had designated for her.

“My dad, he won’t do it,” Carrie said quietly after a moment.

“Steve can be very persuasive.”

“Romy,” Carrie sighed. “I’ve been trying. My mother has been trying. He is not budging. He says that as long as we and his colleagues know that he’s a good cop, it is enough.”

She reached over and squeezed her friend's hand, they had bonded over their shared experiences as family members to a police officer, and had found they liked each other. “I’m sorry.” Romy could see how Carrie blamed herself for the current predicament her Dad was in. If Akela had not been kidnapped, this would not be happening. “This is not your fault.”

“If I…If I would have been able to defe…”

“Not your fault. Your dad did what he thought was right.” Romy held her eyes steadily, willing Carrie to see how serious she was. “He could have called Steve. He could have called your husband. It’s not your fault.”

She let go of her friend when Steve burst into the kitchen. “We gotta go.” They said a hurried goodbye to Carrie and Akela and jumped back into the car.

“Did you have any luck?” Romy asked.

“No.”

She could see how Steve was clenching the steering wheel. He hated, that he could not just overrule Duke on this.

“He’s an adult, Steve. You can’t decide for him.”

“I know.” Came out of him in a wretched sigh, showing the tumult he felt over the situation.

“Talk to me about the case.”

“Huh?”

“I mean you got called in, didn’t you? Must be something juicy for you to get called in on a Sunday.” Romy grinned cheekily.

“A sucked up body by a sand drencher.”

Romy turned in her seat, now that was a new one. “I want to know everything when you come tonight.” She leaned over to him and pressed a kiss to Steve’s jaw. A smile slowly made its way onto his face.

Steve took his eyes off the road for a moment. His hand sneaked up Romy’s arm, tucking a stray strand behind her ear. “Sure.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

Oh, God! Romy was going to kill him, he knew it. She would kill him. If he brought Steve home hacked in tiny little pieces. Oh fuck. He started to press some buttons, hoping the machine would stop.

“That sounded terrible.” The whirring had actually increased instead of stopped. Fuck, Fuck, Fuck! Danny pressed another button, and thankfully the blades slowed down and a hatch opened. Spilling not only loads of sand but also Steve and the criminal out on the ground.

“Up, up, up.” Danny pulled the guy up. “Hands behind your back.”

He watched as Steve slowly stood as well, coughing and spluttering sand. “You happy?” He asked furiously. “Was it worth it? Huh? You're gonna have, uh, sand in a lot of unpleasant places. Romy will not be happy with you if you dredged sand all over your house. Oh and wait until I tell her that you jumped into running blades.”

Steve actually laughed right in his face “You don’t know Romy at all.” He patted Danny’s arm. “Book’em Danno!” with that Steve strolled back to the car, shaking his vest of what felt like pounds of sand.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy was actually doubling over in laughter. She sat on the bathroom vanity, while Steve was showering the sand off and retelling his day. She sobered up really quickly though when he continued on. How was it possible that a husband would be paying someone to kill their wife. “What a case…what a waste actually.” She shook her head at him sadly.

Steve came to stand next to her, his towel slung low around his hips, making Romy look at him appreciatively. “You know gorgeous, my eyes are up here,” he teased.

“And they are just as beautiful as the rest of your body,” she bit her lip, as she traced a water drop down his abs. Then her fingers made their way back up. Steve shivered at her ministrations. His hand inched towards the razor. Romy was not having any of it, as she grabbed his hand in one of hers and the other scratched over Steve’s cheeks “you are never ever allowed to shave this off!” She declared with a coy smile.

Steve grinned at her mock outrage. He leaned down and rubbed his scruff over the soft skin on her neck. “Yeah?”

“Yeah!” Romy moaned.

“Then I will endure for a little longer.”

“You are a prince among men.” Romy teased him, before rewarding his noble sacrifice with a loving kiss.

——xx——xx——

They were prepping dinner in the kitchen when the doorbell rang, making Eddie race to the front door. “He still thinks it’s Nahele,” Romy commented on their excited pup. He had not yet gotten over that Nahele was no longer living with him. To be honest neither had she or Steve. Nahele was missing from the house constantly.

“I got it,” Steve pressed his lips to her cheek and followed Eddie to the door. “Okay, Edward, just relax.” She could hear him trying to calm down their dog, but it was only answered with excited barks and a very soulful whine. “Relax, relax. Just relax. It's okay.”

“Hey, Duke.” Romy could hear Steve’s surprise in his voice.

“Can I come in?”

——xx——xx——

Romy came out of the kitchen with two plates of pasta after Duke had left. “Good news?” She handed Steve his plate.

“He asked me to come with him to his hearing tomorrow.”

“That’s good news indeed.” Romy smiled. She settled down on the sofa next to him, her feet landing his Steve’s lap, who had his feet up on the coffee table in front of them.

Steve navigated to their most recent episode and hit play. Letting the peaceful atmosphere wash over him. His wife, his dog, some good food and all of them together on the sofa.

“You know ever since Nahele went to college we’ve been having an awful lot of lap dinners.” Romy shattered his peace.

“Lap dinners?” He asked.

“Yes, dinners” Romy lifted her plate off her lap “with plates on our laps in front of our tv” she jerked her chin to the tv screen in front of her.

“You wanted to finish the new season of The Last Kingdom.” Steve pointed out.

“So not the point.” Romy poked him with her toes.

Steve grabbed her foot stilling her movement. “Even if it’s just to stare at the Irish dude,” he teased her.

“You know one advantage of lap dinners?” Steve asked, Romy squinting her eyebrow at him questioningly. “This” with that he plucked their plates out of her hands, putting them down on the side table. Then he tugged at her feet, sliding Romy closer to him, so she was cuddled in his side. His arm around her shoulder, his fingers playing with the ends of her hair. “Doesn’t work when we sit at a proper table. Now, I can distract you, while you drool over the Irish warrior.”

“You know the actor is Scottish.”

Steve poked her side making Romy giggle. “So I need to compete against a Scottish actor who plays an Irish dude from the 10th century?”

Romy nosed his collarbone, pressing a kiss to his skin. “You never need to compete with anyone.”

She could feel Steve smile into her hair. “Except for Finan the Agile.”

Steve thought back to the husband from today, hiring someone to kill her for a measly $2000. He could not fathom it. Could not understand why, or how. He looked down at Romy snuggled into his side. Snoring softly, as always when she was a bit drunk. He could not imagine, that there would be a time when he’d contemplate leaving her. Where he would give up their life for somebody else. Choosing another woman above her, and then not even giving her the dignity of a divorce, but to get her killed. Killed with a, how did Danny put it, a fucking Groupon voucher.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Steve’s mind was in overdrive, blue-eyed and read headed victims. Romy’s face swam in front of his eyes. Fuck he needed to get a grip. Otherwise, he’d kill that son of a bitch. Luring women in with a child. He could practically see, Romy leaning down trying to help Molly and then getting attacked from behind.

‘Call me when you get this,’ he shot off a quick text.

“Are you ok?” were the first words out of Romy’s mouth when he accepted her phone call.

Steve leaned on the railing of the little girl's house. “Yeah, I am now.”

“Steve?” Romy asked.

“Serial Killer using a little girl to lure in redheaded, blue-eyed women.”

“I’m safe.” Romy understood instantly. “Safe and sound at home with my guard dog, giving out sweets.”

“That’s where I like you best.”

“If I promise I’ll stay at home, will you be able to catch a serial killer?”

“Yeah, I guess so.”

“Then go!”

“I love you.”

“Love you too.”

 

The next morning, Romy came to the Palace. Steve had stayed in the hospital with little Molly and had not allowed her to renege her promise of staying put at home.

She handed out coffee to the guys, who had pulled the all-nighter and squeezed Tani’s hand. “You did good, kid.”

Then she joined Steve and Molly in his office, giving the little girl a hot chocolate and Steve a coffee. Then she dug into her cotton carrier bag and brandished a Tupperware box. “How about a cinnamon roll with that Hot Chocolate?”

They both watched Molly eat her cinnamon roll, and paint her picture. Steve squeezed Romy’s hand. “Thanks for staying put.”

“You did good, Schnuffi.” Romy kissed his shoulder, as they watched Molly be reunited with her mother and her gifting the drawn picture to Tani.

“Only because of you.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy was a bit gutted that she could not go with Steve to meet up with Carson. She had heard so much about him and was excited to meet him. For once it was not Steve’s phone which ruined a moment but her own. With a sigh and a kiss she had sent Steve off to meet Carson at a bar and she had headed into the office.

She was standing behind the front desk of the Royal Hawaiian brooding over the overbooking issue with the Head of Front Office. Sometimes she really wished she was working for budget hotels, and not luxury ones. Her eyes fell onto the header of the report. Was it really the 6th of November? Suddenly her mind went into overdrive.

“Romy, are you ok?” Gareth and Camila both looked at her worriedly.

“Yeah,” she shook her head. Concentrate woman, she scolded herself. “Sorry, just realised I forgot to throw out our Jack - O lantern. I’m sure it's mouldy already.”

“Ok?” Camila and Gareth shared another look, but Romy was back on the report they were reviewing and they shrugged.

It was another two hours before Romy could finally leave the hotel and she raced to the nearest drug store. She was literally buzzing, as she stood in front of the aisle, contemplating her choices. She checked her app once more and then she grabbed two boxes and headed to the cashier. On the drive home, her thoughts strayed back to Halloween less than a week ago. The horrible case of the abducted girl, who the team managed to reunite with her mother. The way Steve had sat with her on his office couch. The way Molly drew a picture for him, and how he commented on each added feature. She had always imagined them as boys' parents. Nahele, of course, and then there was Charlie. But oh boy, Steve with that little girl? That had made her ovaries explode.

 

——xx——xx——

 

The bar was sitting right at the beach, it was one of Romy and his favourites. Halfway on their ‘Eddie evening walk’ route, they tended to stop and have a drink before heading back home. It was laid back and off the beaten track in Aina Haina that it wasn’t overrun with tourists. Carson wasn’t here yet, so Steve took a seat at the bar and fixed Eddie’s leash to his stool. No need to have a repeat of last week, where the dog got excited by a kids ball and not only raced after the treasure but tumbled over half of the furniture to get to it.

“Hey guys,” the barkeeper put a bottle of beer in front of Steve. “No wife today?”

“Guys day out,” Steve nodded in thanks for the drink. “I brought his own chew toy today as well.” He pointed to Eddie who was sitting docile at Steve’s feet.

“We’re all good,” the barkeeper knocked on the wooden counter and moved down to serve other guests.

“You always are gonna get me into trouble, aren’t you?” Steve addressed his dog.

A choked laugh made Steve’s head shoot up, he’d know that laughter everywhere.

His friend.

His brother in arms.

No - his brother, full stop. Carson Rhodes.

Steve stood up and the two men shared a hug, that involved way too much back pounding than anything else.

“Brother!” Steve stepped back, so he could look at Carson. “You’re getting older.” he pointed at the faint lines on his friend's face.

“And you, my man? Talking to a dog and is that…Is that grey I spy in your face?”

“My wife digs it,” Steve raised his eyebrows in a slight challenge.

Carson grinned at that, “What are you turning old?”

“So, where is your other half?” Carson asked after they ordered more beer.

“Work emergency” Steve smiled.

“Ah, so that cuts both ways then?”

“She says hi though.” They clinked their beer bottles.

“You know man” Carson took a sip of his beer. “Can I be honest?” Steve looked at him, and when was Carson ever not honest.

“I never thought you’d end up married.”

“Thanks,” Steve said sarcastically. “I mean it, man. Thanks.”

Carson laughed “That’s not what I meant. It’s just, that you were never really someone for a committed relationship.”

Steve shrugged trying to play it down, but he could see where Carson came from. If someone would have told him 6 years ago that he’d be a happily married man, he’d be checking them for a fever.

“You get it wrong until you get it right, and then you realise this is what you always wanted.” He could see Carson was about to roll his eyes. “I’m happy. Romy makes me happy.”

“I can see that. Haven’t seen you this relaxed in ages. Except maybe when we’re jumping.”

Catching up with Carson felt good like a little missing piece was slotting back into him. He missed his team guys. All of them were spread over the whole world, taking new gigs. They were a family for so long, that you only realise what you’re missing when you see them again.

“You, too, buddy. Especially when you pick up the tab. Which is only fair, considering how many times I pulled your chestnuts out of the fire.” Carson pushed the bill over to Steve.

“Is that right? You know, it's funny. The beer must be especially strong this afternoon, 'cause I-I'm struggling to remember when you pulled anything of mine…” Steve laughed.

“What about Fallujah?” Carson interrupted him.

“..out of the fire…” Steve looked at his friend. “Fallujah's a beautiful city. What about Fallujah?”

“No, no, no, no. The tape trick. Who do you think taught you that?” Carson was grinning like a Cheshire Cat.

“Son of a bitch. You taught me the tape trick.”

“Yes, sir.”

“I totally forgot about that,” Steve admitted with a laugh.

Carson laughed too, he stopped playing with his beer bottle for a second. “You know, I just used that move recently in Sarajevo.”

“Oh, you did?”

“Made me think of you.”

“You know,” Steve looked up at his friend, “that is the sweetest thing you've ever said to me. So, what you're telling me is that you came all the way to Honolulu to tell me how much you miss me, is that right?”

“Sure. Something like that.” Carson hedged.

“All right,” he shook his head, opening the bill and throwing down enough cash to cover their beers. Carson could be more secretive than any agent from the CIA. “Tell me something, brother. How's life? You living right?”

“I make good money.” Carson shrugged.

“Yeah.” Steve was not convinced. It had never been about the money for either of them.

“I don't always work for good people, but, you know, sometimes you just got to do the job.”

“Do you?” He asked again. “I’m just saying, I distinctly remember making you a job offer which, uh, which still stands, by the way.” He threw that job offer in on the regular, what could hurt one more time.

“Oh, and I appreciate that my brother, I do. Me and law enforcement? Not a good fit.” Carson waved him off. “Too many rules.” Did his friend not understand, what the ‘All means necessary’ decree from the governor actually meant? “Plus, I could never take orders from you.” Ah, there it was.

“Mm. I'll tell you right now, the only thing I'm ordering this afternoon is a cab and my wife to lay down with me on the lanai.” Steve grinned at Carson’s ‘Please stop talking look.’ But he got serious again “Listen, let's not, uh, let's not wait another six years before we do this again, all right? I do want to introduce you to my wife and not only via FaceTime. Got it.”

“Yeah. My man.”

Steve’s cab was about to drive off when Carson leaned through the open window. “Brother, do me a favour and thank your wife for me.”

“For what?”

“Just do it, man. She’ll understand.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

Steve came home to an eerily quiet house. No music was playing. No Romy appeared from somewhere greeting him with a kiss. He had seen her car outside, she must be home. Romy would have left a note if she’d gone for a walk. Eddie had disappeared the moment he had opened the front door, too. Frowning he followed him up the stair. There he sat in front of the closed bathroom door. Eddie whined softly, his paw scratching the door. “She is in there, buddy?” Steve patted the dog's head. “Gorgeous?” He knocked softly at the closed bathroom door. “I’m home.”

“Ok.”

Steve frowned, Romy sounded off. “You all right in there?”

“Sure.”

“Romy?!” Now he was alarmed, this was not normal. All the relaxed feelings from a beer too many and seeing his old friend evaporated in an instant. “Gorgeous? Talk to me right now, or I will open that door for you.”

He could hear some shuffling on the other side of the door, and then the lock clicked open. Steve nudged it open, Romy stood in front of the vanity, her hands gripping the sink tightly. She kept staring at something lying next to the sink.

Slowly she turned around, her red-rimmed eyes hit Steve right in the gut. “I thought I was pregnant.”

What? The whole world around him shifted for a second. “For 2 hours and twenty-three minutes today, I thought I was pregnant.” She handed him two sticks wrapped in toilet paper.

One line.

Not pregnant.

Steve never thought that two plastic sticks had the power of mocking him. But in that second that it took for him to read them and to process Romy’s words, they did. They did not only mock him, they mocked Romy. He looked from the two sticks back to his wife.

His heart was breaking for him, for her, for them.

“I was late. I realised this today when I looked at a report at work. I’ve never been late. But with everything that’s been happening with Duke and at work, it completely slipped my mind.” Romy looked at him through their bathroom mirror, one hand still gripping their sink tightly. “I thought I was pregnant. For two hours and twenty-three minutes, I imagined us with a little boy like Charlie, or a little girl like Molly. And now?” She let out a dry sob. “And now…now I’m sure my period will be there tomorrow.”

“Gorgeous” Steve’s voice tortured. “What can I do?” Their eyes met in the mirror. He didn’t know what to do. Didn’t know how to soothe the pain she was going through. This wasn’t like before. Before, he was able to do something. He was able to protect her from bad guys, from ex-girlfriends. Fuck he killed Madison Grey so she would not have to. He would do anything, absolutely anything to keep harm and hurt away from Romy. But this, this he could not fix, he could not scare away.

“Can you hold me?”

Her voice was so small, so tiny, that he almost did not hear Romy’s request. Her big grey-blue eyes looking at him, full of sorrow and pain. Romy did not even have time to blink, and she was engulfed in Steve’s arms. Her head pressed into his chest. His hands smoothed over her back and hair. He was rocking them softly. “I will always hold you.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

The next two days, were slow, they were both taking it slow. Slow with the world, slow with each other. There was a lot of hand-holding, cuddles for Eddie and being in each other's space. The news that Duke was acquitted by the Police tribunal, finally brought a smile to their faces. They had called Carrie and Nalani to organise a little surprise for Duke’s first day.

 

The surprise was a complete success. Duke’s eyes widened as he spied the receiving line in front of the HPD head office. It included not only active officers but family, friends and old colleagues.

“Sergeant Duke Lukela,” Steve announced with a massive smile, and the rest of them started clapping and cheering.

“Thank you, Steve,” Duke choked up a bit. “We both know if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be here.”

“It's a great pleasure for me to see you back in this uniform, Sergeant,” Steve said sincerely, shaking Duke’s hand. This man deserved everything the HPD had to offer.

“Thank you.”

“Couple people here want to talk to you, Duke.” Steve let Duke go to be engulfed by the people and almost jumped when someone cleared their throat behind him.

“Commander McGarrett?”

“Yes, ma'am?”

“NCIS Special Agent Emma Warren. I'm sorry to chase you down like this, but someone from your headquarters suggested I might find you here.” NCIS? Now that was going to be interesting.

Romy looked over to where Steve stood with a woman talking intently. She definitely was a government official, her navy blue pantsuit and the badge identified her as some kind of law enforcement. FBI? Maybe.

Whatever she was saying to Steve, however, was not well received. She saw how his stance hardened. How his spine locked straight. His jaw started work. Bad News indeed.

She kissed Duke on the cheek, congratulating him once more and then made her way over to Steve.

“Look, I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but when a gun for hire turns up dead on a plane with a bullet in him and a baby on board, I have to consider every possibility.” Was the first thing Romy heard. No. No. That couldn’t be. Steve just had drinks with him two days ago. Carson could not be dead.

“Such as?” Steve’s question was clipped.

“Well, that your friend, Carson Rodes, may have been involved in a kidnapping.” At that Romy took another step forward, stepping right into Steve’s space. His hand reached out to her. Anchoring himself to her, he spoke furiously.

“Okay. Let me just be very clear with you right here.” Steve’s voice did not shake. It was strong, with barely held back fury over what Agent Warren was insinuating. Romy could almost feel his hand in hers tremble. “I was on teams with this guy. We were downrange together two tours. I know this man; this is a good man you're talking about.”

“He may have been a good man, Commander.” Agent Warren’s gaze dropped to their hands before she continued. “But I can't say the same for the people he took jobs for. His last three contracts were in Venezuela, Somalia and Bosnia, for some pretty sketchy individuals.”

Steve breathed heavily through his nose. This was one of the reasons why he wanted Carson to work with him. At least when he gets hit by a bullet nobody fucking questioned if he was a good guy.

“Okay. You identify the kid yet?” he asked instead of giving the agents speculations any further ground. Carson involved in a fucking kidnapping? Did his friend sometimes work for sketchy people?

Yes.

But Kidnapping? Never.

“Identify the kid, all right? And talk to the parents. Cause I guarantee you, they will clear this up.”

Agent Warren's eyes flit over to Romy, trying to assess if she was of any help if Commander McGarrett would fly off the handle. She must have decided, that she would not. Because her tone had turned empathic all of a sudden. “Look, I understand that this is difficult for you. And I'm gonna do everything I can to find out what happened without jumping to any conclusions about your friend.”

“Okay.” Steve ground out, not jumping to conclusions my ass. Agent Warren was jumping to conclusions left right and centre.

“ I will even keep you in the loop as much as possible, Commander.”

Like hell she would, Steve knew in the fraction of a second, that this was just lip service to keep him out of it. “Thank you,” he said instead.

“But in return, you have to do something for me.”

Ah, there it was, of course, she wanted something in return for ‘keeping him in the loop. “What's that?”

“Back off and let me do my job.”

Steve almost wanted to laugh, he was so not backing off. He was going back in. His fingerprints would be all over this fucking investigation. He did not know Agent Warren. He did not trust her. He was going to be so involved that she would feel his breath on her neck the whole time. “Got it. Okay.”

“Thank you. I'll be in touch.”

Romy and Steve watched Agent Warren turn and get into her car. Only as the government issued SUV had disappeared from their view, did she turn to him. Her arms around his neck, Romy pulled him into a deep hug. “I’m sorry, Schnuffi.”

Steve sucked in her scent, his head buried in her neck. Just a moment, he just needed a minute. To understand what happened. Carson could not be dead. He was with him 2 days ago. They had beers. They talked. They took the piss out of each other. Brothers.

He had no idea how long they stood in front of that tree. He was numb. Numb to pain. Numb to time. The only thing he could feel was Romy’s arms tightly around him. Her voice broke the silence “You are not going to back off, are you?”

Steve lifted his head, hoping his eyes said it all. ‘Do you know me at all?’

“Just try not to get arrested, ok.” Her fingers were now smoothing over his cheeks.

“Never.”

A chuckle escaped Romy at that. “We will see. That Agent Warren doesn’t seem like she’s playing around.”

“Can you do me a favour?” Steve banded his arms around Romy’s waist, pulling her flush to him. “Can you look after the baby? I’m sure CPS is with them right now. But Carson…Carson, he died to protect it.”

“I’ll call Ms Bowers right now and then head to the hospital. I won’t let the baby out of my sight.”

“Thank you.”

“Can you do me a favour?” Romy repeated his question. “Can you call Jack?” Steve closed his eyes. Could he call Jack? Could he tell his teams guys what happened? “He deserves to hear it from you, and not some other Agent who didn’t know Carson.” Why was his wife always right? “And maybe he knows this Agent Warren…”

“I will,” Steve crushed her back to him, not ready to let go yet. If he let her go, then the real world would begin. Reality would set in. A reality where one of his brothers just died. He wasn’t ready yet.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy had run by the hotel, picking up her laptop and the latest Marketing and Sales figures. She had called Ms Bowers from the car, the social worker for once happy to hear from her. Not even 10 minutes later she sat in a small room while the baby boy was getting his second check-up. The nurses were happy for her to work from the room, able to return back to their other duties with her there. Romy had given the baby his bottle and changed his nappy. Now she held the tiny bundle close to her chest. She watched him smush his face against her skin, searching for some contact. “You sweet little bean,” Romy cooed, her finger tracing over his button nose. “Someone will come for you soon. I promise.” She hummed a little melody hoping he would fall asleep and forget the tumultuous hours that he had endured. Her phone rang during the third rendition of the melody. Romy shifted the baby to her left arm while picking up her phone.

“Hey Kono” she greeted her friend.

“Have you spoken to Adam?” Wow, that was an unexpected question.

“No, I thought he was on the mainland with you. If I remember correctly you were trying to work…”

“I filed for divorce 2 days ago.”

Silence for a breath, and another one. “Ok,” Romy swallowed.

“He hasn’t acknowledged it yet and he flew home three days ago.” Kono continued to ramble. “I’m a bit worried. But I don’t know if I’m allowed to be worried. I mean which soon to be ex-wife is worried about how her husband deals with their divorce.”

“Hun, I haven’t seen nor spoken to Adam. None of us have.” Romy switched the call to speakerphone so she could walk around the small hospital room. “Why didn’t you call me about the divorce?”

“I don’t know. It felt like I was admitting defeat,” Kono paused. “I mean I still care for him, you know. I don’t love him anymore. Our lives have become incompatible.”

“You don’t need to justify yourself. The only ones who know your relationship are you and Adam. I told you that in Vegas already.”

“And that’s why you’re my best friend.” Romy could hear Kono shift around, undoubtedly getting more comfortable on her office chair.

“I’ll send one of the guys to check in on Adam.” Another thing to add to her mental list for today.

“Thanks.”

“And Kono, don’t let that stop you from visiting, ok?”

Kono let out a watery laugh “Never! Your kids need to be spoilt by Auntie Kono.”

Romy closed her eyes, it seems this was going to be a ‘We are sharing’ phone call. “I had a negative test the other day.”

“Oh…” Kono blew out a breath. “Hun, why did you not say something?”

“It’s been a full couple of days,” with that Romy laid out what happened.

 

——xx——xx——

 

His phone vibrated in front of him, he could see Romy’s face lighting up the screen. “Could we answer that please?” Steve moved his handcuffed hands from underneath the conference table and looked at Agent Warren, who was sitting opposite him.

“You’ve been arrested, Commander McGarrett. You don’t get unlimited phone calls.” Agent Warren leaned back in her seat.

“That’s my wife. She is with the baby.”

“Fine” Agent Warren gave in with an unhappy look and pressed accept on his screen

“Romy? Everything ok with the baby?” Steve asked.

“Yeah, the baby is a boy by the way. He is perfectly fine, just had a nappy change and is on his second bottle of formula.”

“You know we call those diapers in the US,” he teased her.

“Nope.” Romy actually popped the P, like a teenager. “Never am I gonna call a nappy, a diaper.” Suddenly all humour left her voice “Steve, I’m sorry to pile onto your plate right now.”

“What is it?” Please not another thing. Please. He did not know if they could deal with more bad news.

“Kono filed for divorce and apparently Adam has been on the island for the last couple of days already, but has not spoken to anyone or acknowledged the proceedings.”

“Fuck.” And there it was.

“I would drive over, but I honestly don’t think he’d want to see his wife’s best friend right now. And well, I don’t think the hospital would let me take the baby.”

“No, no you’re right.” Steve’s hand fell into his hands, making the handcuffs rattle.

“Where are you?” Fuck. Had Romy suddenly developed super hearing?

“Conference room.” Well, that was technically not a lie.

“Oh sorry. I didn’t mean to interrupt. Can you handle Adam and I handle the hospital?”

“Sure,” he swallowed. “Romy, it will all work out.” He hoped she understood what he wanted to say without using the words. “I promise you.”

“Ok.” Her voice dropped in volume. “I’ll talk to you later. Don’t do anything stupid.”

“Never,” with that, he hung up the phone.

Agent Warren raised her eyebrows at him. “Do you always lie to your wife?”

Steve did not deigned her with a response.

 

——xx——xx——

 

“Where's my son?” Mr Berg stormed through the hospital before he came to stop in front of the room. “I thought I'd never see you again,” he breathed out. Then he frowned “Who is that?”

Steve looked past him and his heart squeezed tightly. Behind the glass, Romy sat in a comfortable looking chair, holding the baby close to her chest. Giving it some needed skin to skin contact.

“Your child is currently under CPS protection, Mr Berg. Just until,” Steve stopped his interruption with a look, “everything is cleared up.” He had not stopped looking at Romy, could not stop. She must have realised the commotion outside the room, and looked up. A small smile graced her face and she wiggled her little finger from underneath the baby's bum at him in greeting. With a deep longing, he pulled himself away from Romy and joined the conversation in front of him. His eyes, however, never strayed far from his wife. Oh god, she looked amazing holding the baby. He was such a dick for putting her through this. Making her guard a child only days after they…after she…He hoped she could forgive him.

“Man, if it really was that dangerous out there, Carson really is a hero.” Mr Berg tore his gaze away from Romy and the baby “I can't wait to bring him home.”

“Of course. But this is an ongoing criminal investigation, so we appreciate your understanding and your patience.” Agent Warren bought them some time.

“Which means, uh, till we wrap this up, we're gonna have to ask you not to leave the island.” Steve continued when he noticed that Agent Warren was not.

“Leave the island?” The man looked at them shocked. “No, I'm not leaving the hospital. You do whatever you need to do. I'm gonna stay right here.”

“We have you fill out a statement,” Agent Warren nodded to one of the HPD officers. “But you can stay in the hospital.”

“The guy's lying through his teeth.” Steve watched the HPD lead Mr Berg away.

Agent Warren turned to him “What?”

“He's lying,” Steve said through gritted teeth. His jaw only slightly relaxing, when a smaller hand squeezed his forearm. A glance down, confirmed the hand belonged to Romy. She had stepped out of the room, the baby still in her arms.

“He just confirmed everything you've been saying about your friend this whole time.” Agent Warren carried a question that Steve did not like at all.

“My friend was a SEAL, okay?” His voice rose slightly. “I don't have to explain to you what that means. Carson would have scoped that house on Lanai out from top to bottom. He's a special operator. He's not gonna walk into a house up against five armed guys by himself. No way. No.”

“He's brave, not suicidal.” Finally, Agent Warren seemed to agree with him for once.

“And he could've reached out to Berg with an update,” Steve said intently.

“He could have reached out to you.”

“But he didn’t.” Romy butted in. She shrugged when the attention of the other two slid over to her. “So if Berg's lying about Carson, he could be lying about everything.”

“There is one person we haven't spoken to, all right? And I really believe if we want to get to the truth in all this, we have to talk to this kid's mother.” Steve turned to Romy. He hated what he was going to ask her. “Can you stay here?”

His wife smiled at him, she could see the barely hidden tortured look on his face. He was beating himself up, about Carson, about asking her to care for a baby. “Of course. CPS has me down as a potential Foster.” The hand that was not holding the baby, intertwined with Steve’s. “They still have the room locked down, nobody but me or hospital staff can enter that room.”

“Thank you.” So much said in two words. An apology, a hidden are you sure you’re ok? A whole silent conversation crammed into these words and squeeze of fingers.

“Do you really believe that the father had something to do with it?” Agent Warren’s question stopped their unspoken back and forth.

“Nothing else makes sense.”

“I just…who would risk…” Romy looked down at the child in her arms. “What father would send a fucking death squad after their own child.”

“Hey,” Steve nudged her head up with his fingers. “Don’t think about that, ok. We catch whoever is responsible for this.”

“My seal to protect and serve.” Romy grinned.

“You bet your ass.” Steve stole a quick kiss and then followed the NCIS Agent out of the hospital.

Romy turned around, appreciating the way her husband's ass moved when he walked. Then she stepped back into the hospital room. Brandon was in desperate need of more cuddles.

 

——xx——xx——

 

“You didn't let him near my baby, did you? Please, tell me you didn't let him anywhere near my baby.” The desperate pleas from Julia Berg played in his mind non-stop. He had not only let him near her baby but also near his wife.

The CCTV footage almost made him vomit. There was Berg, with a gun. A gun was now openly pointed at his wife. Romy carried a bundle of blankets in front of her. She crouched over it protectively. Keeping a tight grip, even as she was shoved into a van. He had put her into this. He had put her right into the path of an abuser.

The hits did not stop coming when Julia Berg revealed that her husband had access to a private plane. They could be anywhere. Romy could be anywhere right now.

“Hey, Jerry, you find that plane?” Why did this feel like a repeat from two years ago? He prayed to all the deities who were listening that Jerry was more successful in locating that plane than he was locating that shipping container.

“FAA records have it located at a small private airfield in Makiki.” Thank fuck!

“We're close.” he ground out, checking the navigation system in front of him.

“From your position, six minutes.” Jerry calculated quickly.

“We'll be there in three.” With that, he hit the accelerator. His mind would not shut up, it felt like he had Danny Williams in there giving him a play by play. How stupid he was to leave Romy in the hospital. His wife, is a civilian. Vulnerable, on her own. He needed to get to this airfield. Now.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy held onto Brandon tightly, the guy driving had absolutely no care that they had a 2-month-old baby with them. “Why are you doing this?”

Lee Berg snarled at her. “He is mine. He is my kid. She had no right to take him from me.” A second later he sneered “Stop talking! The only reason you’re still alive is to get us out of here.”

The SUV came to a sudden stop, and Romy needed to brace herself to not fall into Lee Berg’s side. Roughly she was pushed out of the car, it took her a second to regain her bearings. They were at an airfield, and she was pushed towards the lone plane standing on the tarmac.

“Lee Berg!”

Romy closed her eyes she wanted to collapse right then and there. He was here. Of course, he was here. Suddenly the before empty airfield was buzzing with activity. The 5-0 team, NCIS and HPD stepped out of the hangar. Automatic weapons were trained at Lee Berg and the thugs who drove them here.

She could feel Berg tensing behind her, and suddenly he had his arm over her throat and a gun in his hand. Romy could see Steve’s face, a mask of indifference washed over him. “It's all over, buddy.”

“If you care about that kid, don't do this. Hand him over, all right?” Danny took a step towards them, completely in sync with Steve.

“I’m getting on that plane,” Berg shouted, Romy could feel some of his spit hitting the back of her neck.

“No, no, no.” Steve was ready to charge, his weapon trained right on Berg. He tried to blend out that this piece of shit was holding Romy as a defence in front of him.

“As long as I've got him and your wife, you won't take the shot.” Berg grinned. His arm pressed further against Romy’s throat, making her hold Brandon tighter in the process. Keeping an eye on Steve, he stumbled to the open plane door. Almost there, he whispered. Romy watched the other advance, with every step Berg took backwards.

“He won't, but I will.” Romy almost sacked in relief, when she heard Junior’s voice and the click of his gun releasing the safety. “Let go of them now.”

“Put your weapons down right now.” Steve's voice was in the distance, and she could feel the air in her lungs diminish. And then not a second too soon, the pressure around her throat lessened. Romy sunk to her knees, gasping for air.

“Romy!” Steve’s shout made her lookup. Lee Berg was in handcuffs two feet away from her, suddenly her arms were empty. Danny had taken the baby. “Are you ok?” Steve’s gloved hands on her face, tilting it up. Making her meet his eyes. “Are you hurt?” another breathless question.

“I..I…” she coughed a bit, “I think so.”

“Come on” with that Steve swung her into his arms bridal style. “Let’s get out of here.”

——xx——xx——

They were in the Emergency Room at King’s Medical. Brandon had been reunited with a tearful Julia Berg and Romy had been poked and prodded by what it felt like every doctor in this hospital.

“She’s fine, babe.” Only Danny’s long-suffering groan had gotten through Steve long enough for Romy to put a stop to the constant stream of doctors. “Let her get dressed. Don’t you have paperwork to fill out upstairs with Agent Warren?”

“Thanks,” Romy whispered to Danny, her throat not yet allowing for a louder volume.

——xx——xx——

“You arrested him?” Romy asked, followed by a cough. “Why haven’t I heard of this?”

“Are you ok?” Steve pulled her to his side. “I’m fine. I want to get back to you about getting arrested.”

Emma and Steve looked at each other uncomfortably. “Actually I don’t care. I’m buying you” Romy pointed at Emma “ a drink.” Romy giggled quietly. “Even Champagner if you do have pictures?”

“Hey!” Steve exclaimed. “No pictures, no drinks! We’re going home because you need to rest.”

“Spoilsport.” Romy looked up at him.

“Nah, just taking care of my wife.” Steve pressed a kiss on her forehead. He looked over at Agent Warren “You know if you really fancy a drink. Detective Williams would be available. I’m sure you have lots to talk about, and if it's just about my driving.”

With that he pulled Romy in the elevator, he waved cheekily at the NCIS Agent as the doors closed.

“Did you just set up Danny with Agent Warren?”

“All in a day's work, gorgeous.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

It was already dark when they arrived home. Steve situated Romy out on the lanai with a cold beer and some ice chips to soothe her throat.

“What did you say to Berg?” Steve asked when he joined her on their swing. His fingers traced idly across Romy’s bare arm.

“What do you mean?”

“Romy, he had an NCIS Agent killed but took you. What did you say to him?”

“That this was all happening because he was the reason your brother was dead. What did he think was going to happen to him, if he kills your wife.” She grasped his hand, a silent apology for gambling with her life so easy. “I think he figured out that he had better chances getting off the island with me than without me.”

The evening breeze was soothing to their frazzled minds. What else could have happened in the last 3 days? It had been too much. There was nothing left they could say to make any of it better or more bearable. But there was one thing that Romy felt the need to say outlaid.

“I’m so sorry about Carson.” She could feel Steve shudder underneath her. He did not say anything though, the only acknowledgement of her words, was the tighter hold on her. How he tucked her head right underneath his chin, so her whole body was draped over him. A barrier, a barrier between him and the rest of the world.

“You know you expect to die,” his voice harsh against the soft evening, “when you’re on active duty. It’s something that is always at the back of your head.”

Romy tried to sit up, but Steve would not let her. He held her close, his face buried into her hair as he continued on. “When you get out, there is this hole that you fall in because suddenly the pressure is no longer there.” Romy could feel his tears against her skin. She closed her eyes, hoping, praying that she was doing enough for him. Somehow her presence eased the pain a little at least.

“You aren’t supposed to get shot when you’re out of black ops when active duty is over.” Steve’s hold on her slackened a bit, and Romy took this as a sign to sit up. She perched on his lap, her knees on either side of his legs, bracketing him in, just like her hands were holding his face. “You’re supposed to die when you’re old and grey.” The pain in his voice, in his words, in his eyes, was like a punch right in Romy’s heart. She did not know what to say, or what to do. So she did the only thing she could think of and pulled him close. Engulfed her 6 feet tall and broad husband and her embrace. Let him sink against her, supporting his weight, supporting his tears. Holding him.

“When I learned one thing of living with you,” she said after a while, “of loving you. It is that even if you are off active duty. This duty is still in you. It doesn’t matter if you’re in service or not. It’s a part of you guys. And from everything, you told me about him. It was an honour for him to lay down his life for them.”

 

Chapter 56: Fire in my bones

Summary:

Summary: Holidays bring family - the good and the bad kind

Warnings:  Smut

Episode: Season 9 Episode 7 & 8

Notes:

Hello, lovelies,

How are you all? Are we ready for another piece of Steve and Romy? Its Thanksgiving time, and Steve is having a dream that tells him what his future brings.

Your comments make my absolute day! Please keep them coming, I so appreciate you guys sticking with this story for so blooming long. 2.5 years…where has the time gone??

Let me know what you think.

Enjoy xx

Chapter Text

The atmosphere around them was buzzing. Steve’s, for the first time was full of people. Music was playing, and guests were talking, drinking and eating. The restaurant felt alive and so did Romy. She stood behind the bar pouring drinks and just soaking up the atmosphere. Handing over a beer to Lou, Romy heard a snippet of Danny’s and Steve’s conversation.

“This is killing us, the soft opening. It's destroying us.” Romy shook her head at Danny’s moaning and tried to zone them out as they stepped over to the bar.

“You do know that a soft opening is important, right?” She asked as she poured him a glass of red wine.

“And you could be a little bit less generous with your pours,” Danny griped, as he took a sip of his drink. Romy raised her eyebrows at him unimpressed. “Danny.”

“Huh.”

“Walk away!” She pushed Danny off the bar he was leaning against. “Smooth talk your guests into coming back when you’re charging them.”

“What?” he squeaked. His eyes bulged at the thought of needing to talk to the people in his restaurant.

“You have almost a hundred guests here. Captive audience, for you to wrangle reservations out of.”

“Oh,” Danny looked at Romy surprised. “You, babe” he leaned over the bar, kissing Romy’s cheek, “are not just a pretty face.”

“Walk away!”

Her attention was pulled from Danny, swaggering off to sweet talk their guests, to Steve. Her husband looked like a  snack tonight. She let her eyes rove over his body, admiring how his shirt stretched over his arms. His hair had grown out a bit and she loved the grey speckles in his stubble. Oh, she could not wait to go home tonight. But for right now she’d be content to wander over and let her hand slip into the back pocket of his jeans. She giggled at the little yelp and jump he did when her fingers made contact with his ass.

“Hey you,” Romy grinned, coming to stand next to him.

“Hello,” Steve kissed her. “You getting a head start for tonight?” He asked cheekily.

Romy squeezed his ass again and winked. “Nah, just realised I had not nearly spent enough time with you today. We both been running around like crazy.”

Steve sighed and wound his arm around Romy’s waist. “Ditto.” For the whole day, Romy had been outside of his reach. Always near, but never close enough. He relished the way her body pressed against his and how her laugh vibrated through the air.

“Steve. Romy.” Duke interrupted their first moment alone. “Just wanted to introduce you to someone. This is Milton Cooper. Retired HPD detective.”

“Mr Cooper, how do you do?” Steve shook his hand and Romy added “Good to meet you.”

“Please, Milton.” The older gentleman waved them both off.

Romy nodded easily “Milton it is.”

“Good to meet you.” Steve cleared his throat, “Milton.” He struggled more than Romy to switch to the man’s first name. Romy looked around for a chair, Milton was definitely in the age range of her grandmother. Where did all the chairs go? Who decided to go for standing only tonight? Oh yes, that was her.

“And he also happens to know your grandfather.” Duke’s sentence pulled her out of her musings.

“Really?” Steve asked surprised. Romy glanced up at him, his eyes full of wonder. It was not often that he had the chance talk to someone, who knew his grandad.

“God, it's like going back in time. Look at him.” Milton gestured at Steve’s face. “You-you look just like him.”

“Really?”

“And I hear, you're even more like him in spirit.”

“Well, I take that as a great compliment, sir. Thank you.” Steve stuttered slightly. Romy interlaced her fingers with his, offering silent support, as emotions played over his face.

“I think you just made his day,” Romy jumped in, allowing Steve to gather his thoughts.

“Just tell me when you want to leave.” Duke patted Milton on the back and disappeared into the crowd.

“Yeah. You know, your grandfather and I were best friends.” With that Milton launched into the story of how he and Steve senior were planning to join the police force and become Detectives. Steve soaked up the new details about his grandfather gladly. Another puzzle piece to add to the mystery of Steve McGarrett, the first.

“He'd be so proud to see you wearing a badge.” God Milton really knew how to make an adult choked up. “You know, when I knew I was gonna meet you, I dug this out of storage.” He placed an old leather satchel on the table “It belongs to your grandfather. It's even got your initials on it, too.”

Steve looked at the briefcase, and back up to Romy like he needed confirmation that this was really happening. “Yeah, it does.”

“You know, inside, there's a bit of a mystery. It's the last unsolved case of Chang Apana.”

“The Chang Apana? The legendary HPD detective, Chang Apana.”

“Your grandfather and I were obsessed. We used to get together on the weekends, see if we could crack the case. We thought it would be good, you know, practice to become detectives.” Milton tapped the briefcase. “Now, I'm gonna leave this with you, because, uh, maybe you'll have better luck than we did.”

“How 'bout that?” Steve shook his head. “I’m gonna treasure this, Milton. Uh, thank you so much.”

“I can't get over it. You look so much like him. The both of you,” he gestured to Steve and Romy arm in arm. “Like stepping back in time. Take it easy.”

“You, too, sir.” Steve turned to Romy after Milton shuffled away. “This really happened, right?”

“It did,” Romy laughed. Her hands cradled his face, pulling him down to her level. “I’ll pop that satchel into my bag. Keep it safe.”

“Thank you”, Steve closed the distance and pressed his lips to hers.

 

——xx——xx——

 

“My feet are killing me,” Romy groaned as she stumbled over their house door threshold. “I think that was mostly a success,” she shouted out on her way to the kitchen. She needed a beer and a foot rub in exactly that order. “That’s what you get for committing the rookie mistake of wearing heels to an opening.” She grumbled at herself.

“What're you talking about, mostly a success? Everybody I spoke to said it was awesome.” Steve asked when she returned from the kitchen.

“Well, let’s hope you and Danny did enough sweet-talking for them to book a table when you guys are open.” She let herself fall into his lap.

“Who's the kid in that photo?” She took the picture out of Steve’s hand and leaned against his chest.

His chin came to rest on her shoulder. “This picture?”

“Yeah.”

“That is Steven McGarrett senior.”

“Oh, wow.” Romy nuzzled her nose against his neck, cuddling closer on his lap.

Steve tightened his hold on her, his lips moved against her forehead. “That's my granddaddy. And he's with, uh, none other than Chang Apana.”

“Oh, that's Chang Apana, huh?” Romy traced a finger over the picture.

“Yeah, the one, the only.”

“Tell me about him,” she nudged Steve.

“The guy was a legend. I mean, he was a real-life Hawaiian cowboy who became HPD's most famous detective. For 34 years this guy policed Blood Town and Hell's Half Acre, almost single-handedly busting up gambling joints, and opium dens, and he did all of it without a gun. His weapon of choice was a bullwhip.”

“He's like the Hawaiian, uh, Indiana Jones.” Romy chuckled, she loved how excited Steve sounded.

“That's right. He was also the inspiration for Charlie Chan, but he was, eh, less like that character. This guy was stabbed six times, he was shot once, he got thrown out of a second-story window, run over by a horse and buggy. I mean... I can't believe he lived through it all. And you know what else? He never let a bad guy get away. Apprehended every one of his suspects.”

“Sounds like you.”

“He was also a three-time recipient of the department's medal of valour, so I'm gonna take that as a compliment. Thank you.”

“I mean it,” Romy said with indignation, as Steve tried to brush off her compliment.

“I love you.” Steve kissed her forehead. “Anyway, this is Chang Apana's last unsolved case.”

“Oh, yeah?” Romy leaned forward, skimming the papers on the desk. “Who was the, uh, who was the victim?”

“It was actually a missing persons case. This kid. Lyla Kekoa. She was a girl, went missing in April, 1932.” He pulled out some more case files. “I guess she was from a poor family. Um, says here that the whole family worked on a sugarcane plantation. Basically, the type of girl whose disappearance probably wouldn't attract much attention, but it didn't stop Apana from working on this case every day until he was forced to retire. Milton was right, there's a lot of stuff in here. I just... I don't know - I don't know where to start or what to do with it.”

Romy sighed, “You’re gonna brood over this case file the whole night aren’t you?” she scratched his head.

Steve grinned sheepishly, his wife knew him too well. “I’m so -“

Romy cut his apology off with a deep kiss. “I love you. For exactly that reason.”

Steve raised his eyebrow.

“Giving up seeing me in the brand new lingerie I bought in order to solve a 70-year-old murder.” Romy hopped up from his lap, evading Steve’s grabbing hands.

“You are a tease, Mrs McGarrett.”

“And you love me.” Romy sing-song. She leaned down to kiss the top of his head, “Please don’t sleep in that chair.”

——xx——xx——

Romy woke up in the middle of the night, a shutter was banging somewhere in the house. She reached along the bed, searching out Steve’s sleeping form. She was sure it was the shutter in the sunroom she couldn’t reach. The hinge always come loose in the rain. Romy frowned when her fingers collided with something that didn’t feel like Steve. She lifted her sleep mask, squinting over to Steve’s side of the bed. “You definitely aren’t Steve.” She patted Eddie’s fur softly. Was Steve still downstairs?

Of course he was. No longer seated at their desk, Steve had moved to the dining room table. The case files spread out and Steve asleep on top of them.

She didn’t want to wake him, it had been a while since he slept that soundly. Carson’s death still playing on his mind. Carefully Romy sat down next to him and threw the blanket over both of them. Her head leaned against his shoulder and did not take long for her to fall asleep again.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Steve would not tell Romy anything the next morning. Her “And did you solve it?” was left unanswered as he hurried her and Eddie along and into the Palace.

Danny was already waiting for them, typing something on their computer. The screens showed pictures of the case files Steve had in his hand.

“I think I just solved this case,” Steve announced handing Danny his coffee. “I think I know what happened to Lyla Kekoa.” He looked up at the screens, realising that Danny had the case files and more specifically a picture of a very distinctive car displayed. He pointed to it “Finding that car is the key to finding out what happened to Lyla.”

“Let me just stop you for one second. Just, I want to be clear.” Danny took a sip from the takeaway cup. “Um, Chang Apana, this brilliant detective... he was HPD's finest. You know, greatest of all time. He couldn't solve this case, but you, uh... you did it in your sleep?”

Romy hid her amusement behind her malasada when Steve threw a dirty look at her hardly suppressed a giggle.

“I know this sounds crazy, but I'm telling you this was all in the file.” Steve hopped onto the table to sit next to Romy. “It's nuts. I mean, it was like a bunch of pieces to a puzzle. I just had to put 'em together. What?” He looked at Danny who seemed to be in pain. “Why with the face?

“Nothing. I just realized I'm not gonna get any peace until you continue, and I let you finish this thing. So, please, go ahead.”

“Guys, please play nicely.” Romy threw in. “I thought you wanted to solve a murder?”

“Thank you, Romy.” Steve pinched her arm and got off the side table. “Okay, on the night that Lyla Kekoa went missing and James Whitmour got murdered, they were last seen, the two of them, getting into James's Rolls-Royce Phantom.” He waited for both Romy and Danny to nod. “Okay. Now, James's body was found some time the next morning. But Lyla Kekoa, never seen or heard of ever again. Nor was the Rolls-Royce Phantom... a very distinctive car that would have attracted a lot of attention.”

“I don't care how distinctive the car was, finding a 90-year-old automobile is basically impossible.” Danny could not help but point out, that he was right. It could be in million pieces, spread over different places.

“Like a needle in a haystack,” Romy muttered. She needed to smile, Steve was getting excited. What kind of dream did he have?

“Exactly. Okay, James Whitmour died behind the wheel of that car.” He hit some buttons on the table, bringing up the crime scene pictures. “Multiple gunshot wounds. They hit him with a machine gun. Which means those bullets had to cut through the frame of the car, through the windshield to get to him.”

Danny leaned against the table. “Oh, so a 90-year-old car with bullet holes. You should have just said that.” Defeat was clearly evident in his voice. “That doesn't make it that much easier.”

Steve was not having any of this, he solved this case, and he would prove it to Danny and Romy. “Whitmour senior orders the cleanup. Okay, he has to get Lyla and the Rolls off the road before this tragedy turns into a scandal. Now, like the driver, the car is riddled with bullets, riddled. It can't be drivable. So, how do you get rid of a wrecked car?”

“You tow it.” Romy had also hopped off the table and stood next to them in front of the screens.

“You tow it. That's what you do, you tow it.” Steve held out his fist for a bump. Romy met his fist with her own, not without an impressive eye roll, her husband was such a dork when he got excited. “One of Whitmour senior's listed companies is a haulage firm. Now, I'm going through their old logbooks, and I find a record of a journey made from downtown Honolulu to the Whitmour estate that very same night.”

“So you think that the car was put on the estate somewhere?” Danny could not believe it. Steve was really onto something here.

“A dead body, blood, shot-up car... it's got to be put somewhere no one can find it. Right?” Steve typed something into the computer, bringing up an old building license. “January 23, 1932. Whitmour senior submits plans to the local zoning commission for a swimming pool to be built on the estate. Now, according to financial records, he hired a company to, uh, to start work on said project. Check this out.” Another picture appeared, this time of the Whitmour estate. One thing was very clear, there was “No pool.” Romy breathed out.

“No pool,” Steve confirmed.

Danny shook his head “Unbelievable.”

“What?” Steve was ready for the obligatory roasting.

“You did it,” Danny turned to him, “you solved a 90-year-old cold case.”

He was thrown for a second, he did not expect that compliment. “I didn't solve it.” Steve diverted bashfully “I just got it over the finish line.” And in his mind, he really did not. All the notes on the case from Milton, his grandfather and Chang Apana had solved the case. He only connected the dots.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy cursed Steve under her breath, who had the brilliant idea to meet right in the middle of Monday evening rush hour in Chinatown? And what was so important that it could not wait until they both got home that day? The door to the restaurant was open and both Danny and Steve were already there. She greeted her husband with a kiss “Okay…what is this little meeting all about?”

“Look, this case, this case.” Steve took a big breath. “This case has got me thinking about what I really want to do with my time, okay”

“What do you want to do with your time?” Danny asked bewildered.

“Yeah.”

“Your time?” Now he was actually laughing at him.

“What are you laughing at?” Steve turned to Romy for some help. His wife only shrugged. She had no idea where Steve was going with this, how could she help him. To her this felt more like a Steve and Danny discussion, she did not want to get involved. That’s how you usually ended up being the one at fault.

“’Cause, you know, you got, you got two jobs, a wife, a kid, a dog and-and now you're solving cases in your sleep,” Danny started pacing. “You don't have any time.”

“That's not what I'm talking about.” Steve pushed his hands through his hair, the first sign that this was really troubling him. “That's not what I mean.”

“Steve,” Romy laid her hand on his arm. The two shared a look. “What are you talking about?” She prompted.

“I'm talking about my grandfather.” The sentence stood in the room, echoing around it for a moment in complete silence.

Romy squeezed his arm, she asked, “Okay, what about him?”

“He would have given anything to be a cop, that guy.” Steve pushed away a little and started pacing. “You know what he gave? He gave his life fighting for this country.” He turned back to Danny and Romy. “And then here I am, I got the badge. I got this great job. What am I doing running a restaurant? What am I doing?”

Romy’s heart broke right then and there. How long had he fought with this? Why had he not spoken to her before?

“Uh, is that a joke, or…” Danny seem to struggle with a response as much as she did.

“No, it's not a joke. And I'm really sorry. I know you're gonna be mad.” Steve clasped his hands in front of his chest. “Danny, being a cop is all I know now. And I love my job. Why am I gonna walk away from it? Dude, I'm sorry.” He looked from Danny to Romy, begging them almost to understand. “I really am sorry. I didn't... You're mad, right?”

“If you're out, I'm out.”

“What did you say?” Steve could not believe he heard right.

Danny looked at his friend-brother and repeated “If you're out, I'm out.”

“I thought you were sick of dodging bullets?” Was this really happening? Steve needed to be sure. “You told me you didn't want to get shot at.”

“I’d rather die from a bullet than die from the stress of running this place.”

Romy rolled her eyes at Danny’s words. Only these two would rather die from bullets. She could not believe it, was this nightmare of a restaurant adventure about to be over for good?

“Really? Seriously?”

“Yeah.”

“What about the... I mean, we got…” Steve tried to articulate, what would happen with all the money they put in. Luckily for him, Danny took pity on him and said, “Kamekona calls me twice a day. He wants to buy us out of our share, so... “

“Hallelujah!” Romy let out in relief. It was really over.

“Don't move, don't move,” Danny shouted and darted behind the bar.

“You ok with this?” Steve stepped between Romy’s legs.

“Schnuffi,” Romy’s hands rubbed up and down his arms. “I’m absolutely fucking ecstatic.” She pulled him close and laid a big kiss on him. She felt him smile against her lips, making her heart soar.

“Could you please stop that,” Danny groaned, putting the shot glasses down with a thud. Steve held up his hand, shielding their fused lips from Danny’s view. “Never!” his lips moved from Romy’s to her neck, making her giggle.

“Okay, now stop the PDA. I have poured!” Danny handed them each a glass. “Okay. To us...”

“Yes.” They lifted their glasses.

“….and our very short and-and beautiful but successful run.” Danny continued.

“Yes.”

“Passionate, successful run…”

“Yes.”

“…as restaurateurs.” They clinked their glasses.

“And, if I may…” Steve added before they had a chance to drink, “to knowing when to quit.”

“Ok. Ok. Ok. Hold on, guys,” Romy fell into his arm before Steve was able to drink. “I only let you two quit if you promise me two things.”

“Romy?” The two men asked at the same time.

“First, you got to promise me, that there will be no restaurants, bars, food trucks or any hospitality adjacent ideas ever again.”

“Promise.” “They echoed her.

“Good and the second, you guys let me handle the negotiations with Kamekona.”

“What?”

“The big guy is going to screw you over in the most friendly way ever. You let me deal with him. For all the stress I needed to endure with your little adventure. We deserve at least a permanent table and annual participation of profits.” With that, she downed her shot in one go.

Danny and Steve stared at her for a moment, unsure what to say. That was until Steve proclaimed “You know, you’re absolutely hot when you’re talking like this.”

“And with that” Danny knocked his drink back in one go. “I’m out. See you guys later.”

“You sure about this?” Steve asked as they watched the door slam behind Danny.

“Sure about what?”

“Dealing with Kamekona?” Steve helped her hop down from the table.

“Absolutely, it’s going to be fun.” Romy grinned.

“You and I, have different ideas of fun.” Steve pulled her into his side, as they locked up the restaurant. “You gonna give me a ride home, gorgeous?”

“Oh absolutely,” Romy kissed the underside of her jaw. “And there I will show you, that the two of us have very similar ideas of fun.” She winked at him and she sashayed off to her car, leaving Steve behind staring at her.

 

——xx——xx——

 

They had just crossed the threshold of their home and had not even turned on the lights when Romy had pushed Steve inside. Her fingers were struggling with Steve’s pants buttons, desperately trying to get them to open.

“Gorgeous, what has gotten into you?” Steve stilled her movements.

“Please,” Romy’s eyes were big. “I’ve been waiting for this all day”.

Steve was sure he blacked out a little bit, once her words sunk into his mind. “Fuck, gorgeous!” His hands roughly pushed down the zipper of her midnight blue dress. “Just rip them! I need to be inside of you.”

Finally, Romy let out a laugh in triumph. The buttons of Steve’s jeans popped open, revealing his cock straining against his boxers. Romy licked her lips, she could not wait. She sunk down to her knees, taking his jeans and boxer shorts with her. With a cheeky grin, she licked the underside of his cock, before she engulfed it completely with her mouth.

“You have no idea what you do to me,” Steve growled, divided if he should pull her off, cause he wanted to be buried inside of her or enjoy the exquisite feeling of her mouth for a bit longer.

Romy looked up, their gaze meeting for a second before she deep throated his length completely. He could read in her eyes, that she needed more.

“Yeah, you…fuck…taking control…being on your knees” he groaned, when her lips sucked his tip “treating me so well…driving me mad.”

His words washed over Romy. His cock was heavy in her mouth, she moaned around it. She could feel getting wetter, the familiar ache between her legs growing. She squeezed her legs together, trying to get some relief.

Steve saw what Romy was doing and could not take it anymore. “Fuck, gorgeous!” He pulled her off his length, and up to face him. His hands framed her face, pushing some hair behind her ears. “I love you,” he kissed her deeply, their tongues tangling.

Suddenly Romy’s back made contact with the front door with a thud. When had they moved? Her hands scratched through Steve’s hair. She craved him so much, her leg winding around his waist. Finally, the ache morphed into sweet arousal as she kept grinding her hot core against his leg. “Steve!” Her words were lost in the skin of his neck. “I need you. Fuck me. Now!”

“I know,” Steve’s lips sucked around her covered nipple. “Me too!”  His hands were sliding up her legs pushing her lace panties to the side and burying himself inside of her. Romy looked at Steve, as his fingers reached for her clit making her spasm around him. He always managed to make her feel both vulnerable and wonderfully safe with his big frame and strong arms. She felt incredibly powerful as they both tumbled over the edge together

 

——xx——xx——

 

“Ever since I’ve known you, you couldn’t care less about thanksgiving,” Steve commented amused, while he watched Romy rummaging through the kitchen in a frenzy. A notepad in her hand and a pen between her teeth. “What’s different this time, gorgeous?”

Her answer could only be described as gibberish as she tried to talk around the pen.

“Try again,” Steve laughed, plucking the pen out of her mouth.

“I still don’t understand Thanksgiving,” Romy corrected him, “but our son is coming home. I’m excited!” Her finger making contact with Steve’s chest. “Don’t rain on my parade.”

“I wouldn’t dare.” He grabbed her finger and tugged her close to him for a sweet kiss. “I’m excited too. I can’t wait to have him home. I think I’m gonna sleep a little deeper when he’s here.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy could not stop looking at him.

Her son.

He was back.

He was here. In their house. His home.

For the next 5 days their family was complete again. The moment she closed him into her arms, seeing him and Steve in a manly embrace, the piece that had been missing for the last 3 months slid right back into its place.

Nahele laid on his stomach, his chin resting on his folded hands while he was talking to Eddie intently. The dog had imitated his position, paws pillowing his head. He was completely captivated by Nahele’s voice.

“He’s not going to disappear.”

Steve’s voice and hand on her waist made Romy jump.

“I don’t know what you mean,” she said primly, while leaning into his hand. The feeling of his strong body seeped over her in a warm rush.

“He’s here for a full week,” Steve’s now full on teasing.

Romy pinched his arm, that had settled around her middle. “It’s not like you did not checked up on him before coming to bed last night. Did you tuck him in, too?” She turned to him raising her eyebrows in a silent challenge.

“I admit nothing.”

“You know I can hear you right?” Nahele’s eyes had moved from Eddie to his parents.

“We missed you, kiddo! Sue us.” Steve quipped right back.

Nahele’s teeth caught his bottom lip, his eyes flitting from his dad to his mom and then Eddie again. “I missed you too.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

Nahele grinned as he watched his dad race up to Mamo, ready to contest the man’s call. “Out of bounds! No catch.” Mamo shouted, lifting his arm and calling the play.

Steve threw his arms up in victory and engulfed Nahele in a hug, lifting him off his feet.

“What...? What?!” Tani shouted.

“Junior failed to establish possession before going out of bounds.” Mamo defended his call, not bearing any mind to the young woman almost bulldozing him down.

“Wha... No!”

“Thank you, Mamo.” Steve had let go of Nahele and clapped the other man on the shoulder. “That is the correct call.”

“That's a terrible call,” Tani started pacing, unable to articulate her fury. “That's a terrible call.”

“Don't listen to her.” Steve waved her off, already turning to high-five his team.

“As if you could see anything through your cataracts, you old man.”

Steve turned around in a second, and Nahele needed to disguise his laughter with a cough. Here came the ‘Dad’ “Hey, hey, hey.” Steve took a step between Mamo and Tani. “Time-out. Trash talking is one thing. Mamo is very graciously giving us his time this morning.” His voice was utterly serious not allowing for any argument.

Tani must have realised at that moment, how she overstepped “No. Oh, my God, no, I-I would never talk like that to Mamo,” she apologised instantly. “I was talking to you.” She added with a cheeky grin. “Come on. Second down.” She had turned back to her team and clapped to get them moving. “Let's go. Keep it moving.”

“Hold on, hold on.” Steve fumbled with the zipper in his pocket when his phone started ringing. “McGarrett. Yeah. We're on the way.”

“I’m sorry our morning got cut short,” Steve said to Nahele, as the two of them drove back to the house to get showered and changed.

“Dad, please,” Nahele laughed. “It’d be weird to me, if your phone would not have rung during the holidays.”

“Still, it feels like I haven’t spent time with you at all.”

“We have. We went surfing and for a run every morning. And it's not like this is going to be an all-nighter, or?

“I hope not,” Steve cut the engine after he parked. “Your Mum would kill me. And I do want to spend some time with you.”

“How about we go for a hike tomorrow?” Nahele asked, he could see how this was really bugging his dad. “Family time, just the four of us.”

Steve slung his arm around Nahele’s shoulders, not passing up the opportunity to give his son a noogie. “I’m so glad you’re home.”

“Me too, Dad. Me too.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

“Hi Mama,” Nahele burst into the kitchen at the restaurant. As their guest list kept growing for Thanksgiving, Romy decided to host at the restaurant and make use of the industrial oven and dishwasher. No way, was she going to do clean up for 30 people in her kitchen.

“Hi ‘Hele,” she kissed her son's cheek. “How was football?”

“Tani almost tackled Dad and Mamo, cause he wouldn’t give her the final touchdown.”

“I can totally see that,” Romy sipped from her wine glass.

“Yeah, blew my mind and I’m used to Dad’s competitiveness.”

“Hope you told him that?”

“Nah, before I could come up with a good burn, he got a call,” Nahele jumped up on the gleaming kitchen counter at the restaurant. “Can I help with anything?”

“Excuse me” Romy looked up from the turkey in front of her. “Yeah,” she nodded behind her. “Can you grab my phone and dial your dad, please.”

“I’m sorry!” Steve’s said, as soon as he picked up.

“You will be sorry, Steve. If you guys do not solve this case in time for dinner.” She believed she could hear Adam choke back a laugh in the background.

“I’m not kidding, McGarrett! I’m not spending the better part of my day elbow deep in fucking turkeys only for you all to be late.” Romy whirled around facing Nahele, who held up her phone on speaker.

“We’ll be there,” Steve promised again.

Romy rolled her eyes, she had heard that sentence way too often to be fooled by it. “I’ll leave the dirty dishes for you.”

“You got a deal.” Steve must have turned to the others, his voice suddenly was further away. “Guys, congratulations you’re on washing up duty!” Faint groans from the rest of the team could be heard from the rest of the team.

“Be careful, Commander.” Romy wisely left him farming out dish duty uncommented. To be true she could not care less as long as the dishes were no longer on her to-do list.

“You bet your cute little butt” Steve responded in kind and then hung up.

Romy noticed Nahele’s grimace as he popped her phone onto the metal sideboard. “You got something to say,” she teased.

“Sometimes I forget how sickeningly in love you and dad can be.” Her son moaned exaggeratedly.

“Oh, We do enjoy having the house to ourselves.”

“Ugh, Mama!” Nahele visibly shuddered. “Now I need to gorge my eyes and ears and then you need to tell me which surface in the house is no longer safe to sit on.”

“It’d be quicker to tell you which ones are safe,” Romy couldn’t help herself. Nahele was making it too easy.

“Mama!” Now he properly scandalised and really considered bleaching the whole house, before he touched anything again.

“Now, that I scarred you just the right amount for a bank holiday,” Romy bumped her hip into his. “You up for cutting some apples?” She nodded over to her dessert station.

“Mama,” Nahele asked after he scanned all the ingredients. “Are you making Apfelstrudel for dessert?” His Mom’s apple strudel was right there with her cinnamon rolls. They were in for a treat.

“You’re home,” Romy shrugged. It was a bloody mess to make, to beat the dough, but nothing beats her son smiling. She grinned as Nahele squeezed her quickly. “Thank you,” he whispered and then bounced off to peel some apples.

The rest of the day was spent with Nahele and Romy cooking and dancing together in the kitchen, all the while getting entertained by Renee’s play by play of the big Grover sibling rivalry, which had both of them in tears of laughter.

 

——xx——xx——

 

Steve was blown away, Romy, Nahele and Kamekona had gone all out. The tables were decorated, fairy lights were strung and the whole place smelled absolutely mouth-watering.

“You went all out,” Steve grabbed Romy around the waist, as she tried to walk into the kitchen. Romy squealed out a laugh and bumped right into his chest.

“I tried,” Romy kissed him on the lips, her hands trapped between their chests.

“And you succeeded,” Steve swayed with her softly in tune with the music. “It looks and smells amazing,” he nosed the sweet spot behind her ear just before Romy’s hairline, “and so do you.” His lips followed his nose. Pressed against her skin, almost tasting her perfume.

“Right back at you, Commander.” Romy bit her lip to keep in the moan. She had scared the kid enough for today. “You clean up nicely for missing cooking duty.”

“Thought I dazzle you with my good looks, so you’ll forget about it.”

“Hmm” Romy leaned back in his arms, letting her eyes rove over him. He did look good in his black shirt with the grey floral print. “As long as you add clean up and driving duty on there for tonight.”

“You, Mrs McG…”

“Uhuh” Romy wagged her finger at him.

“Mrs Erhardt - McGarrett has got a deal.” Steve corrected himself quickly. “Any reason for the driving duty?”

“Apparently there is a sibling war happening at the Grover Residence. Renee called, and she has a feeling that neither of the two turkeys that are being prepared in her house are going to be edible. So you can expect an SOS call from Lou any moment.”

“And that relates to driving duty how?” Steve asked laughingly.

“That means Renee and I are drinking tonight,” Romy stated, tightening her arms around him.

“Got it,” Steve nodded. “Your carriage awaits you whenever you are ready tonight.”

“My Seal to protect and serve,” Romy teased and stole one more kiss before the hordes descended.

——xx——xx——

The place was full of people from Duke and family, to Noelani and her boyfriend, Flippa and Pua, the whole 5-0 Ohana and many others. This family was not made by blood but by choice. Their family.

“The Grovers have arrived,” Steve shouted out, as the combined Grover Family tumbled into the restaurant. Romy had been right, not even 5 minutes after the first guests had arrived Lou had called him, begging for some seats at their Thanksgiving dinner.

“Hey.” “Hey!” The restaurant greeted the new arrivals.

“Everybody, happy Thanksgiving,” Lou shouted into the open space. “Um, hey, man, thanks for letting us crash your dinner, big fella.” He turned to Kamekona, who stood next to the bar. “We appreciate it.”

“O.G., there's always a space at my table for the Grover family, you know that,” Kamekona said generously. Romy cleared her throat at him. “I mean, I mean…our table.”

“That’s better,” Romy punched him on the arm before she hugged Renee. “So which one of the brothers do you want me to give food poisoning, too?”

“Ugh, I love you.” Renee kissed her cheek. “Both of them if you could.”

“Tell me, how'd you manage to ruin two turkeys?” Steve asked curiously.

“Oh, it was easy. He burned the house down.” Renee rolled her eyes at her husband.

“What?” Romy exclaimed.

“You have one kitchen fire…” Lou tried to brush over the situation.

“Oh, it was so close…” Renee could not resist teasing her husband.

“I’m the police. You can't tell people I burned…”

“Oh, don't get me started…”

Romy looped her arm through Renee’s “You better not be driving tonight?” she asked, trying to diffuse another fight between Renee and Lou.

“Oh no, Lou is.”

“Good, Steve is on driving duty as well. A case got him out of all the cooking.” She gave a quick explanation and then ducked behind the bar. “So, how about the two of us get drunk tonight?” She waved a bottle of Nero d’Avola in front of Renee.

“Hell yeah! Let’s open that bottle. Right now!” Renee laughed.

“Give me one second,” Romy held up her finger and moved over to where Steve and Kamekona were standing. Her husband was ready to sign the new partnership agreement.

“Okay. All right. This is it.” Steve flipped through the pages.

“Yep.” Romy nodded.

“Danny already signed. Soon as you add your John Hancock, Steve's will be the sole proprietorship of yours truly.” Kamekona rubbed his hands.

“All right.” With a big breath, Steve scribbled his signature at the bottom of the last page. “You know what's crazy to me? Is that after all of that, we almost broke even.” Steve looked over at Romy who stood next to Kamekona.

“In this business, you call that success.” Romy teased him.

“What's up, fellas?” Lou joined them all.

“What's up? I'll tell you what's up. Danny and I have now officially signed this restaurant in its entirety over to Kamekona, so…”

“Stop playing.” Lou scoffed. “Look, I need to talk to you about something…”

Romy leaned over the counter to nudge Lou, “We ain't playing.”

“I ain't playing,” Steve added to his wife. “And you don't talk to me anymore. You now talk to this man.” He stood up and patted Lou’s shoulder. “Good night.” With that, he disappeared off to talk to Nahele.

“Okay. Well,” Lou turned to Kamekona, “all right, I guess you're the man.”

“Eh, man and woman,” Kamekona stopped Romy from leaving.

“What?” Romy and Lou asked him at the same time.

“You promised me free business advice, German Rose. That extends to this venture here, too.”

“Ah dammit” Romy took a huge sip of her red wine, she thought she was finally rid of Steve’s.

“Anyway - I need to talk to you. So, uh…” he waved over to his brother. “Yo, Kamekona, Romy, this is my big brother, Percy.”

“How you doing, brother?” Percy said almost shyly.

“All right. He is an expert baker. I'm telling you, man,” the pride in Lou’s voice was so loud, that it almost made Romy embarrassed to listen. Where did the rivalry go, that Renee had described her so colourfully? “…he is so good that when my wife-- You know what? Never mind. I'm not even gonna hype it. Here.” He pulled out a little plastic bag and handed it over to Kamekona. “Here.”

“Is that a kouign-amann?” Romy leaned over Kamekona and broke off a piece.

“How the hell is it that everybody knows what that is but for me?” Lou rolled his eyes. “Go ahead and roll that around in your mouth.”

“Well?” He asked after Kamekona and Romy had not said something for two seconds.

Kamekona stood up and extended his hand to Percy “You're hired. Congratulations.”

Romy rolled her eyes, this is what brought all her men into difficulties. “You gonna be here, tomorrow evening and do a test bake. This is an Italian restaurant we need to know how well you do with that.” She added quickly.

“Wow. Thank you, both of you.”

Romy quickly left the three men alone, when her phone had buzzed at her. The turkeys were ready. She had not noticed Steve following her into the kitchen until he had pressed her against the workbench.

“Happy Thanksgiving, gorgeous.” Their mouths fused together in a heated kiss. For that moment, the loud voices of happy friends and family vanished and it was only the two of them.

“Happy Thanksgiving,” Romy mumbled against his lips. The oven timer interrupted their moment abruptly. They both groaned in disappointment. “Come one before we have more burnt turkeys today.”

 

——xx——xx——

 

Romy tumbled from their ensuite to the bedroom, almost face planting onto their bed and Steve. God, maybe opening that third bottle of wine had been a mistake. Steve chuckled at her while helping her get situated on the bed properly. Romy tipsily snuggled up to Steve recounting Grover’s thanksgiving from hell. With a dopey smile, she declared “I love my life.”

Steve smiled lazily, he loved her like this just a teeny tiny bit drunk, her heart on her sleeve and no analytical brain to hold her back.

“Yeah. Why?” He asked. His arm sneaked between her head and shoulder, sliding her even closer to him.

“Cause it got you in it, dummy.” Romy declared.

Steve swallowed, his wife really knew how to make his heart skip a beat. His mind fumbled for a second to come up with a response. “You’re my heart and home,” he whispered against Romy’s skin. Waiting for her laugh when she realised he was quoting one of the songs she keeps listening to at the moment. When there was no reaction, he peered up at Romy’s face. She was fast asleep. Steve traced his finger along Romy’s ear. “I’ll be fine in the morning, next to you.”

 

Chapter 57: Empty Skies

Summary:

Summary: A mission and a death is hitting too close to home, spinning Steve’s and Romy’s relationship on its axis.  
Warnings:  Minor Character Death, Tissue Warning  
Episode: Season 9 Episode 10 & 11 
Songs to listen to: The party by The Strumbellas // Head held high by Kodaline 

Notes:

Hello, lovelies, 
How are you all? Are we ready for another piece of Steve and Romy? 
Thanks so much to Aloha50 for helping me on how to structure this chapter. You get one for Steve and then the next one will be from Romy’s perspective. I can only say tissues at the ready, or maybe something that you can punch? 
I cannot wait to hear your thoughts and feedback via comments, messages or carrier pigeon! All are gladly received.  
Enjoy xx 

Chapter Text

——xx——xx—— 

Steve's hands were balled into tight fists in an attempt to stop shaking. Where had this day gone? Where had this Saturday gone so completely off the rails? It had started so well. He and Romy had an amazing morning workout in bed, and then parted ways while he went for a swim and she took Eddie for a walk. She had planned to bring back some breakfast before they would head out for some surfing. It was supposed to be a nice and relaxing weekend, just the two of them. Cherished quality time, before the Christmas storm with their family would hit them. 
It had gone wrong the moment he saw Joe’s missed calls and texts. The way the hairs on his neck stood up, he could feel the air shifting. Then gun fire and a fight in his kitchen. Joe’s “Where the hell have you been?” when he finally answered the call. This was when it went wrong. “Someone is taking down the Morocco team.” His thoughts went straight to his Team guys. “Brewster, Linehan, and Howard are dead.” His brothers in arms taken out by a professional hitter. He knew what this was about - and he knew who was behind this. As he sat on his kitchen floor trying to catch his breath and trying not to vomit, it became crystal clear. They needed to strike while the iron was hot. They needed to do it now before anyone else got hurt. Just the thought of Romy being home right now, made his stomach turn violently. A plan formulating in his mind. “I got to make a phone call.” He hung up on Joe and called the team. 

——xx——xx—— 

He tried to forget Romy’s face, as she surveyed the scene of their home. The mess of a kitchen, blood staining the floor and cupboards. The team stood around him, while Junior patched him up. He had no idea when she came home. How much she had heard. They had collectively turned around when a small gasp startled them. There she stood in the doorway. Eddie at her side, a tray of takeaway coffee in her hand. 
“I’m ok,” he pushed himself off the chair. Steve took the coffee out of her hand, clipped Eddie loose from his leash. “I’m ok,” he said again when Romy did not answer. He brushed a kiss onto her forehead. “I promise you. This will all be ok.” 

He was a liar. A dirty liar. 
A husband who lied to his wife. 

Nothing will be ok. This will not end well. He will break that promise to her. He knew it. What was his tally right now? 3 broken promises it was only 7pm, well 7pm in California. The first broken promise happened quickly. He had not heard Romy following him upstairs. 
“Talk to me,” she leaned against their open bedroom door, watching him rifle through their closet. 
“I can’t.” 
“What do you mean you can’t?” Now she pushed herself off and took the shirts out of his hand. 
“I can’t, Romy!” He said more forceful than he should have. 
“No, this is not what we do.” His shirts were dumped on the bed. “This is not how this” she gestured between the two of them “works. We talk to each other. So,” her hands landed on her waist, “talk!” 
“National Security exemption,” Steve turned around again. He did not have time for this. He needed to leave, he had a plane to board in 30 minutes. 
“No!” Romy’s voice followed him out into the sunroom. Why would this damn safe not open? He banged his hand against the steel enforced door. Finally, he got the correct combination and the safe popped open.
“You used that already too many times this year. You run out of exemptions. What the fuck is going on Steve? Why is Gerard cleaning up a fucking crime scene in our kitchen? Why are you hurt? What is happening right now?” 
He could not answer her. He could not drag her into this. This was not part of their life. This was a previous life and he’d rather die than drag her into the mud.
Her questions stopped when he dragged his go bag out from underneath the bed. 
“Steve?” Romy’s voice was no longer loud and inquisitive, it was barely there. He stilled, head bent down. He could not turn around. He could not look at her. See the disappointment, see the anger, that he had heard so clearly in her questions. 
“You’re holding your go bag?” He could hear her move, but it wasn’t towards him, Romy took a step back. He did not want her to step back. He wanted her to step close. To wrap him in her arms and tell him everything was going to be ok. That she would be here.
He turned around with a heavy heart. For a second, a minute or was it an hour, they just looked at each other. Held each other with their eyes. 
I love you. 
I’m sorry. 
Please forgive me. 
Everything he could not say outlaid. Hoping, and praying that Romy would understand. Like she always did. 
“We said Go Bags only together.” 
He shook his head. “I need to do this alone.” 
“Talk to me.” Romy did not give up. “Explain it to me.” 
Oh god, how he wished he could. How he wished he could sit her down and explain it all, explain every dirty little detail. On what had happened and what he was planning to do. He couldn’t. He just couldn’t. 
His phone chirped with a message. LA was a go. With a sigh, he grabbed his bag and started to walk backwards, out of their bedroom and to the stairs. 
“Steve!” Romy shouted after him. “You can’t just leave!” He could hear her behind him, thundering down the stairs. 
“Adam,” he nodded to his friend, they needed to leave now. 
“You promised.” Romy stood on the front porch. Steve stopped in his tracks. His head hung low. 
“I know.” 
“Just explain it to me and then you can go.” He threw his go bag in the back of his truck, Adam had already left. Packing his own bag and meeting him at the airstrip. 
“Please.” 
A shudder went through him at her pleading tone. He turned around, taking two steps at a time. He stood before her, and for the first time in a long while he realised their height difference. His wife barely reached his chin. He almost towered over her. A wave of tenderness and love for her rushed through him. It needed to be enough. He needed to do this alone. 
“I call you when all of this is over.” He lifted her chin with his finger, making their eyes meet. “I pro…”
“Don’t,” Romy shook her head. “Don’t promise, your track record with those isn’t great today.” 
Steve closed his eyes, he almost chuckled. She was right. He leaned down and kissed her. Soft at first, just brush off their lips, then deeper. He let his tongue brush against Romy’s. His hands moved to her hips, pressing her to him. Romy surrenders to his kiss, letting him take the lead. 
“I love you,” his fingers brushed over her face. “I love you so much.” 
“I love you, too.” Romy stretched onto her toes and kissed him again. A short peck, with a promise of more. “Now, go.” She stepped back, out of his arms. They felt empty without her body securely held by them. 

——xx——xx—— 

He had left Adam in front of the Federal Prison. Greer and Kojima had given them what he needed. Now it was time to set the rest of the plan in motion. 
“You really not going to tell us where you are going?” Adam asked. 
“No,” Steve shook his head. “It’s better that you don’t know.” 
“What about Danny? Romy? Nahele?” 
“Danny will understand,” He knew that in his heart. Danny would get it, Danny understood that you needed to face certain demons on your own. A jeep veered down the road and parked on the other side of the parking lot. It was Joe White. The time was up. He needed to shed the last bit. Needed to transform back into a SEAL Commander. He looked between the parked car and Adam back and forth. 
“Protect them.” 
Then the mask slipped on.
“She takes the bait?” Joe asked as he put the car into gear. 
“Yeah,” Steve twirled his wedding ring around his finger. The final physical reminder that he had grown, that there was more to him than the next mission. “Yeah, now that she knows you're alive, it's only a matter of time before, uh, she gets the word out and they figure out where we're headed.” 
Joe looked over to him, clocking his movements instantly. “There's a lone ponderosa pine just west of my land. It's a thing of beauty. They say it's one of the oldest trees in the state.” Steve nodded, unsure where Joe was going with this. It seemed like Joe did not either, as he stopped abruptly, and continued with “You sure no one at Five-O knows about the ranch?” 
This Steve could deal better. “No one knows, Joe. Not Danny,” he swallowed. “Romy only knows that you have a farm somewhere on the mainland.” 
“Good,” Joe nodded. “I don't want them rolling up playing hero. I know you gave very clear instructions, but knowing them, we better power down the phones so they can't track us.” 

——xx——xx—— 

His plan came together beautifully, the only surprise was that Cole decided to drop by instead of disappearing but an extra set of hands could not go amiss on this. They planned for an attack, meticulously setting up traps and barricading the house. It felt good to immerse himself into the mission. No other thoughts allowed. No distractions. Pure survival. 
He was searching for cotter pins in Joe’s armoury when he stumbled across a picture. A picture he honestly could not believe existed. It showed Joe and a woman, smiling and sitting arm in arm. It took him a second to breathe again. He and Joe were more similar than he thought. He fumbled with his vest, holding up a picture of him and Romy right next to it. They had a reason to do this. All doubts went out of Steve’s mind, they had two very good reasons to continue. To survive. To live. 
“What happened? You get lost?” Joe’s shout pushed Steve into action. He put Joe’s picture back into the bag and folded his back carefully into his vest. Tapping its hiding spot twice for good luck. 
Zarah. Her name was Zarah. A paediatrician from Nairobi. 
Before he could ask any more questions, Cole came back in. He was finished with setting up. Ready to take watch. 
“Comm Check.” Joe pressed the device in his ear. 
“Good check,” Steve confirmed. 
“All good,” Cole added. 
Joe got into position, looking at the men in front of him. This was it. He could feel it. “Just like old times.”
“Hoo-yah!” 
“Get 'em, buddy.” Steve bumped his fist against Cole’s. 
And then the waiting game began. 
“Steve, don't wait,” Joe spoke into the eery silence. 
“What?” 
“Don't wait as long as I did to get out.” Joe did not look at him, his eyes trained through the diopter out of the window. “When this is over, go home. Be with your wife. Have a peaceful life. I sat out too long. I don't want that to happen to you.” 
Before Steve could even fully comprehend what Joe told him, their Comms crackled to life. “I hate to interrupt, gentlemen, but I'm fairly sure our company has arrived.” 

——xx——xx—— 

There was no Medevac, no help, nobody was coming. And Joe. Joe was dying right in front of his eyes. The bullet had ripped through his liver and Steve could feel him fading. Why did he not call 5-0. Why had he turned down help? 
Carefully they sat down underneath the ponderosa pine. The oldest in the state. Now Steve knew why Joe told him that. He wanted to die right here. How had this bastard known that today would be the end of his road? 
“There's something I never thanked you for. Joe,” Steve cradled Joe closer to him. He could feel himself shiver. The blood loss taking full effect. He wouldn’t have long. He needed to get this out now. It needed to be said. “I never thanked... “ Fuck, how was he supposed to say this. “There's something…”
“Yeah?” Joe rasped. 
“I never thanked you for Carlsbad.” 
“Carlsbad?” Steve could feel Joe shaking his head. “What are you talking about?” 
“My first week in military school, when I stole that car.” 
“Why would you go and do-do a dumbass thing like that?” There was a teasing lilt in Joe’s voice, that did not manage to mask the pain he was in.
“Well, gee. I don't know. I thought my mother was dead, my father just…” Steve swallowed, still, over 20 years later, he could feel the anger rising in him, ”shipped me off like I was a parcel. I don't know, I just... I wanted to get the hell out of there and get back to Hawaii any way I could. You know? A 16-year-old kid gets pulled over in a stolen car, you don't... That doesn't just go away. You don't just walk away. I figured somebody made a call. Pretty sure that was you, right?” 
“Now that you mention it, it does sound familiar,” Joe admitted. “Your mother had people watching you. When she got word of the arrest, she reached out to me. Called in a few favours. I was,” he tried to turn to look at Steve, ”was happy to do it.” 
“Yeah, well. That night... changed the course of my life, Joe. If I hadn't gotten off with that warning, I-I never would have gone on to the SEALs. To Five-O.” Steve squeezed tighter on Joe’s wound. He could feel the life seeping out beneath his hands. “I would have never met Romy. Never be a dad. I realized that night that somebody believed in me. Even though I'd given up believing in myself. That's it. That's what I had to thank you for.”
 Joe tried to sit up further, but it cost too much. Steve could feel him getting weaker. His voice however had not lost his conviction yet. “Have you lost your mind, son? You've thanked me every day since with the man you've become. With the work, you've done. Don't you see that…” He coughed heavily. 
“Joe, I got you. I got you.” Steve's heart ripped in two. Joe did not deserve to die like this. He was supposed to die in peace on his ranch, with Zarah. “I got you. I got you.” 
“Listen. Listen…” Another cough and another shiver made it increasingly difficult for Joe to talk. He could feel the end was close. But this needed to be said. Steve needed to hear this. “The way I... looked out for you, that's the way that you... watch over the people in your life now. I couldn't be prouder of the man you've become.” 
“We're gonna get him, Joe,” Steve vowed. He would not stop at anything. Did he want blood? Omar Hassan wanted to have a fucking war? Steve would bring it to him. “You know that, right?” 
“Of that, I have no doubt,” Joe’s unwavering support, laid itself over Steve’s frazzled soul like a balm. “ I just have... one more question, Steve.” “Anything,” Steve could not stop the tears that flowed down his face. “Anything, Joe.” He choked out and he would have answered any question that Joe would have. 
“Have you ever in your life... ...seen a sunset like that?”  

Week 1

Joe had not only made one phone call but two. The first had been a team of US Navy SEALs, arriving only hours after Joe passed in his arms. They had fixed up the ranch and taken his body. Joe had taken care of everything. Where he wanted to be buried. Who would be notified? Steve watched as they loaded Joe in the chopper. His hand raised automatically to his temple in a salute. He owed Joe everything. He had shaped him into the man he was now. The SEAL team around him understood. Some had run missions with him back in the day, some had known Joe. Others did not. But it didn’t matter. They were a family. Steve relished in their companionship. It felt good, not needing to explain. It was easier, just being. 
The second phone call, should not have surprised Steve as much as it did. After the SEALs had left, she had turned up. Intel at hand and ready to dive into whatever shit they dug up. Catherine. 

Week 2

It had taken Steve almost two weeks after Joe died to log into the cloud he shared with Romy. He craved to hear her voice. Being close to her, even if it's just by listening. He had stared at the login screen for hours. Inching to press enter. But every time he chickened out at the final moment. What if there was nothing there? What if she was mad at him? What if she had washed his hands of him? 
He almost broke Catherine’s hand in surprise, when she leaned over him and pressed the button for him. 
“I can’t see you staring at this any longer!” She growled at him. “Just look dammit.” 
He held his breath. The site took forever to load, he could almost see the website appearing pixel by pixel. He should have never doubted her. Romy. His wife. His guiding light. She would never leave him behind. 
He clicked on the first file. A second window opened and a video began to play. He watched her hug Nahele, as they both stood next to a decorated Christmas Tree. Suddenly her Mom and Dad waved into the camera. Danny was cutting a turkey at their dining room table in the next frame. Then it was her in a rash top smiling at the camera before it flipped and showed Nahele surfing. The camera suddenly switched and he could hear his mother-in-law shouting something in german before it focused again. This time Romy paddled out in the water to join Nahele. A quick cut to black and then there they were. His two favourite people in the world. He could make out the Christmas Tree behind them. “We miss you,” Nahele said with a small smile. “Come home soon, Dad.” 
“Be safe,” Romy reminded him. Steve could see the tears in her eyes. “Mele Kalikimaka!” 
Then the screen cut to black again. Steve closed his eyes. He had missed Christmas. He had missed her parents' first visit to Hawaii. He missed Nahele. 
“You ok?” Catherine’s voice startled him out of the spiral he was descending into. 
“Yeah,” he nodded curtly. 
“She’s good.” 
“What do you mean?” His voice rose, he could not deal with any shade right now. 
“Down, Steve.” Catherine held up her hands. “I just mean, she’s good with making sure you know that you have something to come home to. Without you know…guilt tripping.” She shrugged. “She’s good.” 

Week 3

They had finally found Gregers Thomsen, the danish lawyer working for Omar Hassan. The one who had paid the assassins to take out his team. Who paid the people to kill Joe. He wanted revenge. He wanted to hurt them as much as he hurt right now. He wanted to watch them burn, and he did not care if anything else got set on fire in the process. 
Catherine had organised the OP, Thomsen had not been as careful as he thought. His extraction out of his bedroom was only a matter of 10 minutes. Steve double checked his guns, safety was off on both of them. His Comms were working. He double tapped his vest. ‘I’m doing this for Joe. I’m doing this for us. I’m doing this so you don’t need to live with this shadow anymore.’ he chanted to himself. Hoping that somehow his thoughts were reaching Romy. He needed to finish this, so they could live their life without this sword hanging over them. So he could be with her. 
On the way back to the ranch, Thomsen was secured in the cargo part of the plane. Steve felt like he could take a little bit of a breath. They were one step closer for this to be over. He could hold out. He could not call her. He could not reach out. He could do it. 
“I met Zarah, Steve. She is absolutely lovely. I tried to do everything that Joe asked. There is a letter waiting for you from him when you come home. My parents left last week and that was good. They started to ask more questions, and you know I cannot lie very well. Nahele is back at school, too. So, it’s just me and Eddie right now in the house. Junior drops by an awful lot and Adam. I’ve constantly been taken out for dinner and drinks and walks. They are trying hard to keep me occupied, to keep me busy. I miss you. I wish you would call me. Leave a message just so I know you’re alive. It’s been over three weeks. Thank you for calling Nahele before you left. I told everyone you got called in from the reserves. So far, this seems to be working. But we got a smart son, Steve. He knows something is up. Especially after Joe. Come home in one piece, Steve. Please come home safely. I need you Steve McGarrett and I love you.” 
The plea for him to call her, to leave a message. A sign that he was alive. His fingers were itching towards the call button. With a growl he threw his phone next to him, trying to remove the temptation. He could not call her. He could not sully Romy with this. Once this was over she would understand. She needed to. 

Week 4

He had never felt that dirty in his life. He stared at his hands full of blood. Not his. No, it was Gregers Thomsen’s. The man had been in their hospitality for over a week now and had not talked. They had tried a lot of things before they started to resort to this. It made him want to puke, the last he did this was years ago. In Mexico, when they tried to find Sara and Chin. Somehow he even felt dirtier than he did then. 
How was that even possible?
He stood under the shower. A stream of water pounded his back. Mixing blood with water, making it swirl around his feet before it got sucked down the drain. 
His fingers automatically found the folder on his phone now. He was still wrapped in his towel. He hovered over the newest voice note, but he couldn’t. The last one was still fresh in his mind. Romy had begged him to call her. Just one word would be enough, she had assured him. She just needed to hear his voice. Then she would stop pestering him. She’d promise. 
But Steve couldn’t. If he’d call her. It would not be for just a word. He would confess everything. Would unload on her. Would tell her everything. It would spill out of him. He’d beg her to come. To hold him. To tell him that everything would be ok. 
He could not do that. He could not do that to her, to them. 
He scrolled back, to one of his favourite messages. He needed the assurance now. He needed her. 
“I love you so much. You make me fly the highest I have ever been. You are my rock, my hero and you drive me mad. 
I love your smile, the way your eyes crinkle when something amuses you. I love the way you hold my hand, and how you make me feel with just one touch. I love the way you are with our family, that nothing is ever too much of an effort when it comes to them. I love, what an amazing dad you are, how you make him glow up. I’m so proud of you that you’re raising a good kid and that’s because you’re a good man - my man. I love that you cook and I love that you do the hoovering and I love the way your hand fits into my into mine. I love how we fit, like puzzle pieces right where we belong. I love the home that we made. I love that you can drive me up the wall and that you make me smile so much and laugh - god you’re the funniest person ever. I love that you can benchpress me and lift me, even if I’m not that skinny anymore, hell I never was that skinny. One day you’re going to break your back, I’ll love you anyway. I love how you can make me feel like the only person in the room. I love you and your stubbornness. I love how you start to get a bit grey, it's hot - trust me. I love us too. I love how we are together, a team, partners for life. I love you.” 

Week 5 

“Steve, I mean it this time. Please you need to call me.” Steve shook his head. This was no longer Romy asking him. This was Romy demanding. He could feel Romy’s heart break through the phone. Could hear her trying to make sense of all of this. Make sense of how he upended their life. Changed their playing field. He felt it burn through him every single day, every single time she called and he didn’t answer. Every single voice message she left and he listened too. 
The life he was living the last couple of weeks was one devoid of love, one without emotions. He was down on the ground, and she and their life hovered above him. Basked in a glow that he didn’t dare to touch with his blood soaked hands. 
He knew she was down too, knew that this cost her. Keeping up the façade. She didn’t do it for herself. She did it for him. So that he had a family to go home to. In-laws that still thought him worthy of her. A sister who’d still accepted him. And above all a son that still loved him. 
He didn’t know which road he was going to head down, but he knew that even if he was lost she would always be there to help him find his way. That as long as she was there, there was hope, there was a home. 
For now though, he needed to get lost, to forget that he had this home. Finish what he had started so many years ago. 

Week 6

For a moment, just one fraction of a second, he saw Romy’s copper head inside the car. He wanted to scream, he wanted to cry. To sent her back, to hold her tight. But it was just the sun, that caught the headrest of Danny’s rental car. The very next second that longing was shoved back down. There was no reason for her to be here. For her to come to him. The way he treated her. The silence he enforced on them. He had no right to ask anything from her. 
Danny - his brother, saw straight away that he was not in the mood. His quip about him wishing Catherine would be there cause he cheated on Romy in his grief stricken mind, broke the ice effectively. They stood on the grounds of the ranch, both with a beer in hand when Danny broached the subject. “Man, I get it. You don’t want her to see you like this.” 
Steve sighed in relief, finally, someone understood. 
“But I don’t know what’s up. Only that something is. The girls circled their wagons around her. None of the team is allowed to call or visit. Apparently, we are too upsetting to her right now.” 
Steve’s face showed no emotion. He should have known though, that Renee would have Romy’s back through this. “It will be fine. Once this is all over, it will be ok.” 
He could feel Danny’s eyes on him, but he did not look back. He stared straight ahead, his jaw working tensely. He hoped his words were correct. He hoped that everything would be ok when this was over. That he had not sacrificed his marriage over this. 
“Babe,” Danny started again. “I will just say one more thing about this, and then I shut up.” Steve snorted at that, Danny could never shut up. “Call Romy!” 
Steve patted his friend on the shoulder. “I’ll think about it.” 

Finally, they had a breakthrough! 
Everything suddenly started to come together quickly, and the next thing Steve knew he was in a plane with Danny, Catherine, Junior and Wade Gutches heading to Laos. 
The flight was long and Lucia Bama’s plane was definitely not made for comfort or for long haul flights. Steve shifted in his seat, trying to avoid the worried stares of Catherine and Danny. It did not matter what they said. It was his fault, all of this was his fault. He did not deserve the unwavering loyalty that the people sitting next to him gave. He had slept with Greer. He had led that mission in Morocco. He had trusted Greer’s intel back then. It was his fault. His fault that Joe was dead. That his team was dead. He did that. He set all the stones in motion. And now, now he scrambled behind them trying to derail their trajectory before it killed anyone else. 
The energy was building up in him, making him jitter. Steve pushed himself up and started to pace the small cargo part of the plane. One conversation was playing over and over in Steve’s head, he wished he could say it was one with Romy or with Nahele. No, it was one with his dad, the one his father had with him before sending him and Mary back to the mainland. 

“In a couple of years you are gonna be 18 and you gonna decide what kind of man you are.”
“What kind of man are you. Breaking up our family?”
“I’m the kind of man that can’t walk away from a fight. My first responsibility is not my safety. It's yours. Now, you don’t have to like it. I just hope someday you’re gonna understand.” 

‘I understand now, dad. I understand. I just hope that my family will be more understanding than I was.’ 
Who was he kidding, Romy was going to… he actually had no idea, what she would do  once he returned. He lied to her, kept her in the dark and left her behind. He made her lie to their son, to their families. He broke every rule they had. He prayed that once this was over, she would give him a chance to explain…

——xx——xx—— 

Harry Langford had never let him down. This time was no exception. He had set them up in a safe house, did all the recon Steve had asked for and more. It was good having him on the team. One more person he’d trust with his life. One more person who understood how deeply personal this OP was to him. They were running through the plan for tonight and then he dropped that bombshell “I took the liberty of purchasing something suitable earlier today. Oh, and, um, for the purposes of this operation you two are married.” 
Harry brandished two rings and set them down on the table. His eyes were firmly on Steve, and the whole kitchen had gone quiet. 
“Isn’t that sweet,” Wade drawled out, breaking the spell in the room. 
Catherine had put the ring on without second thought. Steve, however, hesitated. He had never taken his wedding band off, not once since Romy put it on his finger three years ago. 
He grabbed the ring but didn’t put it on. “Ok guys, let's get ready!” He announced to the room and retreated out of there. He needed to be alone. He needed to…he stared at his ring finger…he needed to take his wedding ring off. 
“I know that things are bad right now. And I’m sure you wonder if you’re able to go on. If you should go on. I know you, Steve. The entire world is not on your shoulder, despite what you feeling right now. I don’t know what you are doing, but I know that your luck is going to turn around. You need to keep your head up high. I have the utmost faith in you, that whatever it is, you will finish this. And you will come home. Home to me.” 
How did Romy know what he needed to hear? How did she know that he needed this little injection of hope? Needed her voice to guide him, despite whatever shit he was putting her through at the moment. It just reinforced his resolve, he couldn’t let that shit touch her, he needed her whole not disgusted by what he’s capable of.
He took his wedding band off, his finger looked bare without it. Steve pressed a kiss to the ring, and then put it in his tac vest, right next to their picture. 

Let’s do this. Let’s avenge their deaths. 

——xx——xx—— 

Steve knelt in front of Omar Hassan, his machine gun pointed at the man's head. “Don't make the same mistake Commander White made when you people killed my father. If you let me live, I promise you'll regret it.” The man looked over to his son, who was huddled behind the bed with his wife. Steve looked up, for a moment that woman did not have black hair, but red. The son wasn’t a 5 year old, but a teenager. Rage exploded in him. How could a father say that? How could a father even think that far? 
“Is that what you want?” He shouted at Hassan. “Is that what you want for him? Why would you want that for him?” Steve shook his head, he would not do that, he would not kill an innocent child. He didn’t do it 20 years ago and he would not do it now. “So he can relive the same cycle? All over again?” 
 “Do it!” Hassan shouted. Steve was sure he could hear a whimper from behind the bed. 
“No.” He clicked the safety back on his gun, startling Omar Hassan with his move. “I want something else out of you. Where is Greer?” 

——xx——xx—— 

Steve was exhausted. Exhaustion settled deeply into his bones. Almost making him too tired to sleep. He had flown too many miles in the last couple of days to find airplane seats uncomfortable. His thoughts were racing. He was going home, Lucia was flying him home right now. He had avenged the deaths of his team. Greer was dead. He had done what he needed to do. It was over. Finally. 
Why did he not feel better? Why was there still an elephant sitting on his chest, making it hard to breathe. He was scared. Scared as hell of going home. He did not know how Romy would react to him, but the one thing he did not know - he needed her as he’d never done before. He must have managed to doze off, then suddenly he was on the beach in front of their house. Holding Romy in his arms, swaying to the soft breeze. When he woke up, the only thing he remembered was the feeling of her skin and how peaceful it was. He was disoriented for a second, the familiar ache in his bones had not disappeared. It had only intensified. 
He missed her, missed her warmth. Just sitting in the sun by themselves, feeling loved. But he couldn’t have called her. How could he have? He had tortured Thomsen. He had shot Hassan. He had needed to give this his all. She couldn’t be touched by that. 

“Hey, Wade,” Steve shouted out when the team was ready to disperse after they had touched down on the mainland. Thanks for everything, man.” He could not put in words how much it meant that Wade had interrupted his retirement to come out and help. 
“It was fun mostly,” Wade shrugged. “My advice to you, though: go home to your wife, find a boring hobby, and the first chance you get, retire.” He chuckled at Steve’s wistful smile. “All right?”
“The wife part, definitely. The others,” Steve shrugged. “I’ll give that some thought.” 
“No, you won’t,” Wade patted his back. “But take it from me. Don’t take what you got at home for granted. Don’t jeopardize it for some weird idea proofing yourself. Joe would've been proud of you, kid. The man that you became. I know I am.” 
Steve swallowed, “Thanks, Gutch.” 

——xx——xx—— 

Steve let his duffle fall next to the door with a tired thud. The house was quiet, not that he expected any differently it was after midnight after all. The scent was the same, ocean air and a mix of perfumes. He was home. Finally.  
Carefully he made his way upstairs into their bedroom, standing at the door he couldn’t help himself but watch Romy sleep. Her sleep mask was firmly in place, her arm stretched out over the expanses of the full bed. Her hiked up nightie exposed creamy legs and a glimpse of her panties. Eddie had lifted his head from the bottom of the bed, making space as Steve sat down next to him. 
Maybe his heart was broken, maybe his dreams were gone for a while, but he was home, and Romy was still here. 
He shed his clothes and once down to his boxers he slipped beneath the cool sheet. He lifted her arm and slid right underneath. He shivered when he felt her skin on his. The moment he got settled against her, Romy startled awake. 
“Steve!” She gasped. Closing his eyes he revelled in the sound of her voice, sliding his hand up her arm he cupped her cheek, tracing his fingers over her face. So soft, just like in his dream. She grasped his hand still cradling her face and kissed the palm. “You’re home.” 
“I’m home,” he confirmed in a small voice. Even in the dark, he could see the tiredness in Romy’s eyes, that was mirrored in his. Romy reached for him again, holding him tight. His head pillowed on her chest. Steve let out a shattering breath, the weight slowly lifting from his chest as he let her heartbeat lull him in. 
“I’m so sorry Steve.” Her voice was as soft as her fingernails that carded through his hair. “I know what Joe meant to you. I’m glad your home though. I love you.” 
Hearing her say that made his heart soar. Despite everything she still loved him. She was still here. She was still his North Star. 
“I love you too.” Steve kissed her collarbone. They were quiet for a moment, no voices, just their breathing could be heard. Steve wondered if Romy had fallen asleep again. He did not dare to look up, he did not want to move ever again. 
“He’s home. He’s home,” He could hear Romy whisper to herself. Her heartbeat and words lulled him into sleep. “See we don’t need to do this on our own.” 

Chapter 58: If you loved me

Summary:

Summary: Steve’s and Romy’s relationship is spinning on its axis. Will mistakes be made that their relationship won’t recover from
Warnings:  Minor Character Death, Tissue Warning  
Episode: Season 9 Episode 10 & 11 
Songs to listen to: All I want by Kodaline 

Notes:

Hello, lovelies, 

How are you all? Are we ready for another piece of Steve and Romy? 

My comments and messages blew up after the last chapter! Keep them coming. I love chatting with you all about these two so so much! 

Enjoy xx 

Chapter Text

 

Romy’s vision blinked and she felt off kilter, like her world had just turned upside down. She snorted softly. Her world had turned upside down. Steve left without explanation. She felt like a ticking bomb under the team’s studious eyes. “You guys better start talking.” 

The explanation was - Romy shook her head in frustration, limited to say the best. The only information she was able to get out of the team, was that someone hired hitmen to take out a SEAL team. They wouldn’t tell her anything further, only that it had to do with Greer and Joe and dead Navy Seal’s. Romy wanted to scream, she wanted to cry. She wanted to hug her husband. Steve who was off on a revenge mission. She was sure, with absolutely no regards to his own survival, but full of righteous duty and guilt.

His face had been all business, when he gave his final instructions to the team. She could see it though, the guilt that creeped through the cracks of his facade. She hoped he wouldn’t drown in it. Would he ever come back from that? 

The team filtered out after too many moments of awkward silences. All of them relieved when a ringing cell phone demanded their attention. They left Romy behind, left her to chase the guy that tried to kill Steve. 

Holy fuck, was that her kitchen? No wonder they had all stood in front of the doorway. 

It looked like something out of a horror movie. There was only one who was able to help her. Romy pulled out her phone and dialled quickly. “Gerard, I need your help.” 

There were a lot of things people could say about Gerard Hirsch, but he knew how to clean up a crime scene and make you laugh while wiping down blood. 

He had gathered Romy in a huge hug and then set to work. The clean kitchen did nothing to make Romy feel better. She thought seeing the blood disappear, her kitchen back to order, would make her feel centred as well. But no, Romy’s balance had not been restored. She could physically feel Steve’s absence. Or maybe it was just the leftover bleach fumes that wafted through the house. 

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

“Let me talk to him!” Romy tried to get past Lou to the interrogation room. She owed Tani a huge thank you, Romy had not hesitated to jump in her car the moment the other woman had sent her the text message. She had not aniticapted Lou’s resistance though. Storming down into the basement, she almost smacked right into him. Like he had been standing guard, waiting for her to arrive. 

“No! Do you think this is what Steve wanted? He wants you miles away from this shit,” Lou held onto Romy’s arm. 

“Well, he ain’t here, is he now?” Romy asked rhetorically.

“Romy,” Lou said warningly. His grip on her arm soft, but unyielding. His ears were still ringing with Steve’s words to Junior. ‘This isn’t your job. Your job is to protect Romy. I need you to protect Romy.’ He knew those words weren’t only for Junior, they were for all of them. They were a family, and Steve needed them to do this for him. They would do it - no questions asked. 

“If it makes you happy you can tell him you tried everything.” Romy patted Lou’s shoulder and moved under his 

She stepped through the half open door, there he was Bauer. Noelani was still busy stitching up the injuries that Steve had inflicted on the man. 

“Herr Bauer?” 

The man’s head shot up at the first person speaking to him in German. He watched her carefully, there was no foreign accent. His eyes widened, as he recognised her from his file. 

He opened his mouth to speak, when Lou cut him off. “You even look at her, and I’m going to add to those injuries. You got me?” Lou fixated Bauer with a stare. 

“Noelani would you excuse us, please. And take Mrs McGarrett with you.” 

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

Two days later Romy stood alone at Honolulu international Airport. “Mama!” 

“Hey kiddo!” Romy engulfed her son in a hug. 

“Don’t cry, Mom, please!” Nahele chastised her, when he could see her eyes mist over. “We’re going to have a great Christmas. Even without Dad.” 

“I know.” Even if her Christmas Spirit was solely lacking this year, her Mum and Dad would not stand for anything else but a good time on Christmas. She missed Steve, none of the planned activities could feel the hole in her heart. The worry buried deep inside her bubbled to the surface as she hugged her son at at the airport. She missed Steve, his presence, his calmness, his arms around her. If Romy was being honest, she missed his height at the moment the most, she needed somebody who could reach the top of their fucking Christmas Tree. 

The Christmas Tree had been a bone of contention ever since Nahele spotted it in the house. “Mama. No!” 

“This is our tree, ‘Hele. Nobody was here to go shopping with me, so I got the one that I wanted.” Romy ruffled his hair cheekily, as she danced around Nahele, while decorating the tree. 

She looked adoringly at the tree, in a little fit off pettiness she had purchased the Christmas Tree she wanted this time. The one that Nahele and Steve vetoed 4 years ago. Proudly in the corner of their office / dining tree stood a fully decorated…Palm Tree.

 

The house was almost bursting at its seams. Romy’s parents had arrived the day after Nahele and the whole Williams clan had settled in for the duration of the holidays. It could have been perfection. 

Could have, would have, should have. She said and thought these words way too often in the 5 days since Steve had left her on their front porch. Since then, she had not heard from him. No phone call, no text, not even a coded message into the 5-0 servers. 

She knew something had gone down. The team was way too skittish around her. It was driving her mad. Nobody would talk to her about it. 

“Girl, we don’t know much either,” Lou had finally told her. Romy was sure Renee had threatened him with marital consequences. Her friend always had her back. “They requested a medevac but it was cancelled. It can’t have been that bad.” 

Romy swallowed, Bauer and her blood smeared kitchen present in her mind.  Not bad…Steve and Joe had a very loose understanding of the words fine and bad. She could not let her imagination run in either direction, cause either way she would end up being mad. If Steve was really fine, and he wouldn’t call or if he was not fine and he would not call her either. Neither scenario boded well for their relationship, she hoped for something in between. 

Instead of letting the thoughts and worry consume her, she smiled and baked way too many Christmas cookies, relishing the in the repetitive motions of rolling and cutting the dough. Her mother kept eyeing her worriedly, fretting about Steve and how Romy handled things. “I don’t know how you do it, sweetheart.” Her mother had said on Christmas Day. “You must be so worried.” 

Romy had clenched her teeth and tried not to let her mother see how much it bothered her. “It’s fine, Mama. It’s what it is. Steve doesn’t have a normal job. Reserve duty can happen all the time.” 

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

The knock came on the 28th December, it had been over a week since Steve had disappeared or gone onto reserve duty. The cover story he had fed Nahele and which Romy had kept alive for her parents. Romy was busy cutting a video of their Christmas. She wanted Steve to have something tangible, not only her voice but to see them, to miss them, to know they were still here. Always here, ready for him to come home. 

Danny lounged in the swing tossing some ideas over to her on what she should include. To say Danny Williams was in a better mood about Steve leaving would have been a big fat lie. He was furious with him for not calling, for not pulling him from the college campus tour for help. He knew his brother though, asking for help came as easy to Steve as discussing his feelings. 

“Romy!” Her mother’s voice made her sit up straight. Romy had just uploaded the video to her & Steve’s cloud. She shared an uncomfortable look with Danny. Whatever it was, it could not be good. 

“Mama? What is it?” The question stuck in her throat. Romy could feel Danny’s hand on her shoulder, as he steadied himself from almost running her over. Romy had stopped dead in the lanai door, unable to move forward. Unable to step into the house. Unable to step into the reality that was unfolding in front of her. 

Two US Navy Officers and Wade Gutches stood in her living room. 

“Mrs McGarrett?” One of the officers asked. Romy tried to identify his rank, but her vision had gone blurry. Her hands fingering her face making sure she was wearing her glasses. Romy nodded, unable to form a verbal response. One word was echoing in her head, overriding everything else. 

No. No. No. No. 

“The commandant of the U.S. Navy has entrusted me to express his deep regret that your….”

No. No. No. No. 

Her hands clasping each other, knuckles turning white, desperate to drowning out what the man in front of her said. 

No. No. No. No. 

She tried to step back, to escape the situation. She bumped straight into Danny, his presence behind her blocking her in. Forcing her to face whatever was being said. 

No. No. No. No. 

“I’m so sorry, Romy,” Wade had stepped forward, taking her hand, almost dragging her further into the house. She could feel his callouses, formed by too many years of assembling weapons, the only thing that felt real at that moment. Her eyes dropping to his hand around her own. “He asked us to give you this.” He motioned the Officer forward. A young man, who should not be doing this, held out an envelope. Romy looked at him. He was too pretty, too young to be burdened with these calls.“Lieutenant Commander White was very clear with his instruction upon his death.” He said, when she wouldn’t take the offered paper. Romy tried, but her hands wouldn’t cooperate. Romy looked up, blinking a couple of times. What were they saying? Nothing made sense anymore. 

“Babe?” Danny knelt in front of her. When did she sat down in their rocking chair? Wasn’t she standing a second ago? “Romy! Did you hear what they said?” 

She shook her head, focusing on Danny. Danny made sense, Danny was supposed to be here. The two Navy officers weren’t, Wade Gutches was not supposed to be here. Danny was. 

“It’s not Steve. Steve is alive. Steve is ok.” 

Romy’s head fell into her hands, the burning of tears in her eyes. Relief, sweet glorious sweet relief swept through her. 

“I’m sorry, Romy,” Wade had knelt down next to her too. He patted her arm awkwardly. “I thought you knew?” 

She blew out a big breath. “Knew what?” 

“That Joe put you down as his Next of kin.” That knocked her over, she had expected a lot of things, but not this. 

“He did what?” She asked Wade. 

“Read the letter, apparently everything you need to know is in there.” Wade groaned as he got back up. “We’re ok now fellas,” he directed at the two officers. “We’ll handle it from here.” 

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

There was nothing that needed to be handled. Joe had organised everything, down to the music and what kind of alcohol he wanted at the wake.

“Steve is not coming?” Her mother sat on her bed and watched Romy put final touches to her jewellery. 

“He is still downrange, Mama,” Romy sighed she had no idea how often she said these words. Ever since Wade Gutches had dropped the news of Joe’s death her mother had been on her case. “He can’t just pack up and come here. He has a mission.” 

“What seems like a deadly mission.” 

“Navy Seals don’t get send to bake cupcakes with their mission objectives.” Romy closed the drawer of the bureau forcefully. They did have the same conversation for the last two days. She was sick of it. She was sick of lying, sick of keeping secrets, sick of the silence. 

“You know when you said that you were moving to Hawaii…I never envisioned that this would be your life. Are you sure this is what you want?” 

Romy stared at her mother through the mirror. How could she ask that? “This is my home.” 

Mother and daughter stared at each other. 

“You always have a place with us, if you ever need a break.” 

Romy knew in her heart of hearts, that her mother meant well. This was however the most condescending thing she heard in a while, and she dealt with her brothers on a regular basis. “I’m fine.” 

“You are not fine. You’re dressing for a funeral and keep drinking peppermint tea. You never drink tea.” Her mother got up and put a hand on Romy’s shoulder. 

“Mama, please,” Romy rested her chin on her mother’s hand. “I drink tea, because I’m always queasy when Steve isn’t here.” 

“Romy,” the voice of her mother soft, but full of worry. 

“I don’t…I can’t…I don’t have the mental capacity to explain and defend my marriage to you. Not today. Not ever. So please, can I get ready to drop you and Dad at the airport and then go to bury Steve’s father figure.” 

“I’m sorry, sweetheart,” her mother pressed a kiss to her temple. “I just worry about you. The prerogative of a mother, you understand, don’t you?” She nodded to the family picture on Romy’s dresser. 

“I know,” Romy accepted her mothers non verbal apology. 

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

The rest of the day passed in a blur, like all days did since Steve left. They didn’t pass quickly, they were blurry. Like a filter had been added to her glasses, making Romy stumble through the motions. 

She had sat between Nahele and Danny at Joe’s funeral, flinching every time the guns saluted Joe’s life, shaking when she took the folded flag. Nahele had been shook up to, he had been staring at the wall of photo’s behind their desk. Mulling over questions in his head. His Dad had never been gone for that long, had never not talked to them for so long. No-one had ever died. He didn’t knew Joe, but he knew what he meant to his Dad. He would have done almost anything to save Joe, and he couldn’t. Nahele bit his lip, he was scared and he could see his Mum was too. This was different than other missions. “Hi Dad,” Nahele stared at the screen of his phone. “Sorry, usually Mama does this kind of stuff. But, today was Joe’s funeral and I think she can’t do this right now. I have never seen her like this when the officers came. I think she really thought you had died, Dad. She didn’t listen to anything. It took Uncle Danny and Wade a couple of tries to get her to listen. And today…today was Joe’s funeral. There were so many people, even his girlfriend came from Namibia. She was really nice. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that we miss you. Please be careful. We need you.” 

“I’m so proud of you, kiddo.” Romy had stood behind him being quiet while he recorded his message. She folded her arms around him. 

“I just want him home, Mama!” 

“Me too, ‘Hele. Me too.” She allowed herself a kiss to his forehead. “How about some cinnamon rolls?” She asked with a smile. 

“Cinnamon rolls make everything better,” Nahele grinned into their hug. 

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

Week 3

Romy had thought she would feel lonely once Nahele returned to the Big Island, their friends however had other ideas. Junior came around every morning to accompany her on Eddie’s walk. Danny had taken over Sunday brunch, the Grovers kept inviting her for dinner and Adam started to pop over randomly just to check in. Romy was glad that Tani and Noelani resorted to text check ins. The only one she tolerated was Renee, that was because her friend brought a bottle of wine and was happy to just sit. She loved their friends but their constant supervision became suffocating. Then Eddie had enough, he growled whenever someone stepped too close to Romy. It brought out the giggles every time, not even Junior was safe anymore. It would lightened her mood more so, if it did not remind her of Steve growling at Gerard the first she had met him. 

Romy noticed the looks that their friends were giving each other when she wasn’t looking. She wished they would say something, she got enough of the silent treatment from Steve. She wished they would stop looking at her like she was a bomb ready to go off. But who was she kidding, she was ready to explode. Steve’s zero communication strategy had her tied in knots. She had not been able to enjoy her time with Nahele nor her parents. The constant worry for Steve hung over her like a dark cloud. She hoped he was alright. She hoped that he could come back from this. God, would one phone call, one text message kill him? A little sign, that he was alive, that he was still himself. Prove that they could overcome the broken promises and be them again. 

“Hey Steve, its me. Just wanted to let know that everything is going ok here. Eddie has been settling into Doggie day care nicely. He loves it there and well I cannot take him with me to the office every day. That’s just not fair on him. I have added some pictures that the place had send me. He already made some friends and is flirting with a very pretty Border Collie, named Wednesday. So, maybe we need to start a wedding fund. He seems incredibly smitten and even shares his toys with her. I think it’s over for him. He found his true love.” Romy swallowed, she wasn’t sure if Steve could hear it, but she needed to say it. “I know things are difficult right now, but I hope that you know that…whatever you've done…it doesn't matter, ok? I love you, splintered and battered. Remember when I said that its the sign of genius? I meant it. I leave the front porch light on. I love you. Come back soon.” 

 

Week 4

It had taken her the better part of two weeks to get out of the fog, out of the blurriness that Steve’s hastened and surprise departure had brought to her life. She realised, while reading Joe’s letter for the tenth time, that she had progressed to anger. She was mad as hell at Steve. How dare he to leave her? Leave her, their family without a freaking word. This was not how their relationship worked! Romy took another sip of her wine and cuddle further into her pillows with Eddie. Joe’s letter pushed over to Steve’s nightstand. She could not stand to read it again. It was almost as is if the letter was mocking her, Joe’s words acting like lemon juice on an open wound, it stung. She was here on her own, taking care of everything, while Steve was out there doing his own thing. There was nothing leftover off the partnership Joe wrote about that apparently had inspired his own quest for love. Steve had pulverised her trust in them with his absence. 

Romy let her head fall back against the headboard of their bed, carefully she repositioned Eddie’s head to rest on her stomach. She had been having some cramps the last few days and the heat of his body helped her relax. Steve would be so proud of her, she had scheduled an appointment with Dr Kekoa tomorrow for a check up. 

 

“Dr Kekoa, hi!” Romy waved at the doctor entering the planned parenthood offices. 

“How often do I need to tell you to use my first name, Romy?” The doc smiled at her, and opened the door to her office for both of them. 

“You know me more intimately than any other person, I’d rather keep a bit of a professional distance.” Romy teased back. “The woman who I have drinks with every couple of weeks is different, than the woman who shoves up an ultrasound wand up my vagina.” 

Dr Kekoa laughed, “Fair enough.” She logged onto her computer. “So what brings you by?”

Romy shifted a bit in the visitor’s chair in front of the doctor. “I’ve been cramping at random times, and you had said to get it checked out if it happens outside of my period.” 

“Ok, when was your last period?” Dr Kekoa clicked a couple of keys on her keyboard, bringing up Romy’s file. 

Romy opened up her phone and gave the date 6 weeks ago. “I know I’m right on time but something feels different. These are not my normal cramps.” 

“Ok let me do some blood tests and see what’s going on.” The doctor moved around her desk and over to the exam table. After she had drawn some blood, she looked over to Romy “I’d like to do an ultrasound as well. Just to make sure everything is ok and if we need to do any further tests to identify additional endometriosis growths.” 

Romy hopped onto the exam table after getting undressed behind the privacy curtain. She knew the drill, feet in stirrups, a little wince when the speculum was inserted and another when Dr Kekoa swiped her cervix, and the came the ultrasound. 

“Hmmm,” Dr Kekoa smiled, as she analysed the black and white picture of the ultrasound monitor, “just like I thought.” 

“What do you mean?”  

The doctor started to point to the monitor again, “Healthy sack, good implementation. Romy, congratulations you’re pregnant.” 

Pregnant. Pregnant. Pregnant. 

How the fuck did she end up pregnant? 

She listened with one ear to all the things Dr. Kekoa told her. To be careful with too much stress and the cramps, as her cervix could be  weak due to her endometriosis surgery. That she was roughly 6 weeks along, and the foetus looked healthy. Romy left with a prescription for Pre - Natal vitamins and a reminder to take them if she wanted to continue with the pregnancy. 

Pregnant. 

Romy sat in her car, unable to turn on the ignition. She was pregnant. Steve had managed to knock her inhospitable uterus up and then he pissed off to fucking Montana. 

Fuck! 

Her steering wheel taking the most of her aggression as she hammered her fists against it. 

She needed a drink and a cigarette. 

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

Romy had no idea how she landed in this shop. She had driven away from the clinic with no destination in mind, and somehow she had ended up in this kids store on the expensive side of Honolulu. How could anybody ever need so much? 

According to the leaflet Dr Kekoa had given her she was 6 weeks along. She wondered how big the little thing was? Did it have ears already? Could it hear all the swearing she directed at its Dad? Oh god she was going to start a fucking swear jar, didn’t she? Neither Steve nor she were good with not using swear words. Holy shit…what is that? $60 for a fucking onesie that the kid was just going to throw up on? 

Romy perused the rest of the aisles and why the heck was everything pastel? Pastel pink, pastel yellow, some weird colour that Romy could only describe as pastel puke. 

She hated pastels! She could say with confidence that there was no pastel colour in her closet. Pastels were weak. The cowards of colour.  

Romy almost screamed when a hand tapped her on the shoulder. Her heart leaping into her throat. 

“Romy? You ok?” 

Rachel. What the heck was Danny’s Rachel doing here? 

She nodded quickly and tried to smile. Romy was sure it was more of a grimace, especially as worry overtook Rachel’s face. “I’m…I’m fine.” She managed to choke out. Romy looked up, trying to find an exit. She would not confide into Rachel Williams. She could not confide into Rachel Williams. Her eyes roved over the shop, clocking way too many couples and no exit. How was she going to do this? How was she going to afford all of this? 

She was alone. Without Steve. Steve should have been there today. He should have held her hand. He should be here right now, making up an excuse to Rachel that was more believable than her incoherent babbling. She needed to get out of there. Finally her brain kicked back into gear, and she managed to make up a semi - believable excuse about a work meeting and raced out of the shop. 

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

By evening she had calmed down a little bit, and had managed to digest some pregnancy information. Their baby was the size of a sweet pea. She and Steve had made a fucking sweet pea. A hand on her belly, Romy rubbed it softly. “We love you so much. I know even if your Dad isn’t here right now, and doesn’t know yet you exist. He loves you. He’s a good Dad like that.” 

Taking a deep breath Romy pressed the button to leave Steve a message “Hey Schnuffi, it’s me. I need you to call me. Some stuff,” Romy snorted, if you call being pregnant stuff, “has happened. And we really need to talk about this. It is important. I love you.” 

 

Week 5

All the brochures and websites were correct, this is when shit hit the fan. And apparently her little blueberry, yes that was the size of the baby right now, wanted her to experience every single pregnancy symptom there was. Her breasts had become bigger, and her bras had stopped fitting her yesterday. Let’s not even talk about how tender they were. Sometimes Romy felt like she only needed to look at them and they started to make themselves known. She had resorted to plain cotton bras with no wire, she had not worn bras like that since she was 13 years old. Forget sleeping on her stomach too, the moment she rolled over her breasts reminded her that this was a no go from now on. Sandra had started to look at her funnily in the office, when she raced every hour to the bathroom either to heave or to pee. The blueberry could not make up its mind, at least she had nice bathrooms at work and at home, Romy felt like she’s going to spend a lot of time there during the next 7 months. 

The tender breasts and the frequent bathrooms she could deal with, but the nausea. The nausea was a bitch! She was on a metaphorical boat the whole day and her handbag started to look like a Mum handbag already. Hello to plain crackers and tiny cans of ginger ale. Her life had officially changed. 

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

Romy had left another message for Steve. She needed to talk to him, she needed to tell him. He had something else to come home to. He had something else to fight for. Something else to keep him sane in this insane mission. 

The silence was getting to her. Was he ever coming home? Did he still love her? Why would he not talk to her? Does he still want her? Would he want their baby? Where was he? Was he still alive? 

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

She wrapped her cardigan around her tightly, one arm holding it close, the other holding onto Eddie’s leash. She had been standing in front of the building for the last twenty minutes. She could not step forward. She could not step back. The appointment card securely in her back pocket. It was so simple, going inside, picking up the pill. Nobody needed to know. Nobody needed to know that the blueberry ever existed. Not her family. Not her friends. Not her husband. Her husband, Steve, who had left her without a word. Left her behind. Left her begging for attention and a call. Did he care? Would he even care that the blueberry had existed? That they had made something and she had carried it for 7 weeks. 

Why was she here? 

She wanted another child. But how could she do it? Alone? 

She could never afford that. She wasn’t supposed to this alone. She was supposed to do this with Steve. Steve, who would not even give her one phone call. 

 

“I…I need you to come and get me, I need you to stop me from doing the most pettiest thing I have ever done.” 

“What? Pettier than getting a palm tree as a Christmas tree?” Kono laughed. 

“Romy, where are you?” Renee’s serious voice cutting through Kono’s laughter. 

She could feel the tears coming, pooling in the corner of her eyes “I’m at 839 South Beretania Street.” Romy could see through her blurry vision, how Renee and Kono shared a look. An understanding passed via FaceTime. 

“Kono, you stay with Romy on the phone. I’ll drive over.” 

Kono nodded, her fingers already typing on the laptop next to her phone. “I’m looking for flights right now.” 

“Romy, I’m hanging up. I’ll be there in 15 minutes. Do not move.” 

Romy nodded, her hand tightening around Eddie’s leash. 

“And I’ll be there tomorrow morning,” Kono pressed book on the flight without even checking the price. 

“I don’t want to loose the blueberry,” Romy said softly. 

“Then you won’t!” Kono smiled at her. 

“I don’t want to do it alone either,” the tears now coming in earnest. How must she look? A 32 year old woman crying in a fucking parking lot. She was a fucking mess. 

“You won’t!” 

“Steve doesn’t answer my calls. I have no idea where he is. Who he is with….”

“Well, we don’t need men in any case. If he can’t pull his act together, then the two of us will. Modern family and all that crap.” 

Romy hiccuped out a laugh between her tears. 

“You are not alone,” Kono ached to hug her friend. 

“You have us,” Renee finished her sentence and wrapped Romy in a much needed hug. 

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

Renee and Kono had moved in. “For as long as you need us.” Renee had announced after she had picked Kono up from the airport and the luggage they carried in contained not only Kono’s stuff but also her suitcase. 

She had not said anything to either of them, but who was she kidding, her friends knew. The lack of alcohol during dinner and Renee’s purge of the fridge of all things not suitable for pregnant woman was a give a way. 

“You don’t need to tell us, hun.” Kono stroke Romy’s head, which was bent over the toilet bowl. 

“We get that this is something you want to tell Steve first,” Renee handed her a soft wash cloth to wipe her mouth. “But we know and we aren’t going anywhere.”

It felt good that someone knew, someone who would nix the idea of going for Sushi with the whole 5-0 team, without making it look suspicious. Someone who would tease her for being the designated driver again, after a night out at RumFire. Someone to hold her hair back and bring her a ginger ale when she needed it. 

It was however these exact moments, that made Romy miss Steve the most. He was supposed to do that, not Kono and not Renee. This was supposed to be his job. He was supposed to do silly things with her like reading to the blueberry as it slowly grew to be a raspberry and had grown ears. He was supposed to figure out what the smell was that was making her nauseous as hell and he was supposed to be the one to hold her when she nodded off at 8.30pm in front of the TV. 

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

“You know Steve, I can’t believe it’s been only 5 weeks since you’ve been gone. It feels so much longer. So much has changed. I have changed. I’m sure so did you. When you left me, I think something in me died. You didn’t even say a proper goodbye and you broke our most important rules. What was more important than us? What was more important to you than our family? I cried tonight, there I was laying alone in our bed and it hit me…are you ever coming back? If you managed 5 weeks without me. 5 weeks without talking to me or even sending me a fucking a letter. I’m sure you manage longer too. What if you mange it for forever? What if you just dissappear out of my life, the same way you came into it? Without warning. I want nothing more than for you to come back home, for you to appear in our front door. To hold me tight and tell me that this was a bad dream. That you love me and you’ll never leave again. You always said you loved me, that I brought out the best person in you, that I wiped your soul clean. But if you loved me, why did you leave me?” Romy paused for a second. “I’m pregnant. You need to come home.” She stared at the recording, unsure what to do. She never envisioned to tell Steve she was pregnant like this, she scoffed at herself. She never envisioned that he would leave her either. With a quick swipe of her thumb she made her decision. 

 

Week 6 

“He is in Montana!” Danny stormed into the house. 

Romy and Renee both looked up from their laptops, it was their usual working from home Friday. Kono had gone back to the main land the day before and had left with tears and a promise to be back the following month. 

“What?” Romy scrunched her nose up at Danny, she had no idea what he was talking about. 

“Steve!” He reached over to grab her arm. A growl made Danny take a step back. Eddie had stood up from his nap and showed his teeth to Danny. “Come on, Eddie! You know me,” he tried to skirt around the dog to get closer to Romy, but Eddie growled at him again. 

“It’s ok,” Romy patted Eddie’s head and the dog calmed down a bit. 

“What’s the matter with him?” Danny leaned against a pillar of the lanai roof, a distance that Eddie felt comfortable with. 

“Just a tad protective,” Renee grinned, she found it highly amusing. Eddie had been way too protective of Romy and a quick Google search from Kono confirmed it. Dogs could smell if someone was pregnant. “You know with only the two of us here in the house.” 

“Look, Steve’s phone pinged in Montana. I’m already booked on the next flight out and I’ve got a ticket for you.” 

Romy looked up at Danny. He was so excited, so relieved to finally know where his brother was. 

“No.” With one word she shattered his happy bubble. 

“What do you mean no?” 

Romy felt a squeeze on her hand and she smiled at Renee who packed up her laptop to go inside, giving the two of them some privacy. 

“I mean no.” Romy turned in her seat to face Danny fully. “I mean I am not going.” 

“What? Don’t you want to see him? Talk to him? Tell him things?” his eyes shot to her belly for a fraction of a second. 

“If he wants to talk to me, he knows where to find me.” Romy got up herself and gathered her work stuff together. 

“Romy, come on. It’s Steve…” 

“I know,” Romy pushed her glasses up her nose and grabbed Danny’s hand. “Look if you want to go to Montana, go. But I’m staying here, right were he left me. He knows I’ll always be here, but I can’t run after him. Not after what he put me through.” 

Danny nodded, he couldn’t understand completely, but he had not seen Romy look so defeated and so pale in a very long time. He would not badger her further. “Do you want me to tell him something from you.” 

Romy closed her eyes, a thousand things run through her mind, but in the end it settled on one thing. “Come home.” 

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

She could hear Steve downstairs. She had waited for him, Danny and Junior, and surprisingly Wade Gutches and Harry Langford, had kept her up to date. Montana, Laos, China, Greer and Catherine. All the gory details they knew, she did now as well.    

The soft thud of a bag, his heavy steps on the stairs. He was home. Eddie was up and at the door straight away, ready to defend them against any intruder. Romy closed her eyes again when she heard him coming closer to their bedroom. She wanted to see him so desperately, but she wasn’t sure if she could. She honestly could not say how she’d react. Would she hug him, kiss him, or scream at him? Everything was possible. 

The moment she felt him next to her in bed, felt his arms around her, his skin on hers, she could no longer pretend. She turned around “Steve!” she gasped, when she saw the toll the past weeks had taken on him. Steve’s fingers tracing the skin of her cheek softly, Romy couldn’t resist and pressed her lips to his palm. “You’re home.” 

“I’m home.” His response soft, his voice tired. She could see the exhaustion in his eyes, the toll the last weeks had taken on him. His beard and hair were slightly out of control and if she squinted through the moonlight she spotted some more grey in it. 

Her heart broke for him once more. 

“I’m so sorry Steve.” Her voice was as soft as her fingernails carded through his hair. “I know what Joe meant to you. I’m glad your home though. I love you.”  She hugged him close, shifting him off her breasts slightly. 

“I love you too.” Romy could feel his lips against her collarbone. How long had it been since he kissed her? 7 weeks. 7 long weeks. 

Romy could feel Steve’s breaths even out, the night was quiet around them. The only thing you could hear where their breaths and the ocean. She did not dare to look down at him, not wanting to jostle him should Steve already be asleep. From the looks of it he had not gotten much in the past weeks. “He’s home. He’s home,” Romy whispered to herself, unable to believe that he was really here. That this was not a dream. She patted her belly softly, their little green olive safe and sound inside of her her had just heard its Dad voice for the first time. “See we don’t need to do this on our own.”

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

Chapter 59: The joy goes astray

Summary:

Summary: When you need to pick up the pieces, but they keep on crumbling in your hands 
Warnings: Tissue Warning  
Episode: Season 9 Episode 10 & 11
Songs to listen to: Darling, It'll Be Alright by Allman Brown 

Notes:

Hello, lovelies, 

How are you all?

I hope you have managed to find some way to deal with the news that reached us last week from the US. I have been angry and mad, but not surprised. It shows how little they regard women, we have now fewer rights than a corpse. If you want to chat, vent or cry (I have done all three in the last week) my inbox is always open for you. 

We left Romy and Steve in some pretty vulnerable spots, and well those spots get pressed pretty hard this chapter too.

Your reviews, comments, follows and kudos make my day - keep them coming! 

Enjoy xx 

Chapter Text

 

Steve squeezed his eyes close, not ready yet to face the day. He knew once he opened his eyes, the dream would be over. He’d be back in Montana, he’d be back to missing Romy and their life.

His fingers itched over the mattress. This was different. Soft and warm. Slowly he peeled open his eyes. This wasn’t Montana. A groan escaped him, as he sat up and leaned against the headboard. This wasn’t Laos either - this was Hawaii. He was home. 

The last couple of days rushed back into his sleep-addled mind. Laos, killing Hassan, Catherine killing Greer. Steve let out a big breath. He couldn’t believe it was over. 

His eyes wandered to the other side of the bed. Romy’s side. 

It was empty and cold, a touch of his hand informed. How long had she been awake? What time was it in any case? 

He had lost all sense of time doing so much time zone hopping the last 72 hours. 

9:30am, his alarm clock proclaimed the time was, Steve did not remember the last time he slept that late. 

The floorboards creaked on his way to the bathroom. Cutting through the quiet of the house so loudly it almost startled Steve to reach for his gun. 

Pulling over a shirt after he was done in the bathroom he noticed it again. The house was quiet. Too quiet for Romy to be here. 

Had she gone out? 

Steve looked around the bedroom trying to find a clue to her whereabouts. Their bedroom was pristine except for Romy’s nightstand. The top of it was always a mess of books, disregarded jewellery and were those crackers? 

Well, that was a new one. 

He walked downstairs, feeling refreshed and bone tired at the same time. In the kitchen, the cafetière stood on a new trolley in the middle of the room. The memory of how he flung its predecessor against his attacker rushed back. The thought of who would have cleaned up the mess he’d made had not crossed his mind. Steve’s hands shook as he grasped onto the kitchen sideboard to steady himself. He knew it was the same person who’d left his favourite coffee mug next to the butter dish. Steve relished his cup of coffee, taking slow sips, simply enjoying something for the first time in weeks. 

He was on his second cup of coffee when the lanai door squeaked close, a smile growing on his face. He still had not fixed that yet - neither had Romy. He thought back to the very first voicemail she had left him, back when they had gone to Mexico to free Sara. How she said ‘I keep forgetting to tell you to fix it. I don’t know why maybe it’s to assure myself there are still things that you need to do so you can’t leave me...silly I know.’ her voice clear in his head. He hoped he had not imagined the relief in her voice in this message and last night when she had folded him in her arms. 

He could hear Romy talk to Eddie, taking off his collar and wiping off his paws from the sand. Apprehension built up in his chest, making it hard for him to breathe. 

“You’re awake.” 

The two of them stared at each other, seeing each other for the first time in daylight for seven weeks. The small wobble in Romy’s voice converted into a chuckle when Eddie jumped on Steve for a ‘Welcome home’ ear scratch. She watched fondly as Steve knelt down to lavish their dog with attention. It felt good. It felt normal. Their house felt like a home again. 

“Hi, Gorgeous.” 

“Hi.” 

Steve got up from his kneeling position, fidgeting with his fingers. “I don’t know where to start.” 

Romy held his gaze for a second then wretched it away, her resolve would waver, if she kept looking at him. She needed to be strong! “At the beginning would be helpful.” 

“The beginning,” Steve swallowed, where was the beginning? Was it seven weeks ago, 5 years ago or 10 years ago. He couldn’t even tell anymore. Before he started, he needed to ask one thing, one thing he needed to know before he started to put his entire happiness on the line. “Are you going to divorce me over this?” 

Romy stared at him and then shook her head softly. Had he really just asked her this? Did he really…did he really use their joking way to agree to disagree with each other right now? 

“Romy?” Steve stepped closer to her, trying to touch her hand when he was forcefully pushed back by Eddie. “Edward?” He looked down at the dog, who’d placed himself in front of Romy. 

“It’s ok, Eddie. We’re just talking.” Romy ran a quick hand over Eddie’s head. 

“How dare you to ask me that?” Her voice shook, as she raised her eyes to his. “Asking me this? Without any explanation of what happened in the last couple of months?” 

“I…I…”

“From the beginning, Steve,” Romy bit out, “and I want to know all of it.” She stalked back out of the kitchen and to the lanai. 

She did not know how long she waited for him, but the telltale sound of the creaking lanai door announced his presence way before Steve opened his mouth. “It all started in Morocco…” and then he laid it all out.

Everything.

Every dirty little detail that happened from Morocco all the way to Montana, Laos and then China. He was out of breath when he finished, he had no idea for how long he was talking. It must have been a while - his coffee had gone cold. Steve grimaced when he took a sip. Romy had not reacted to anything he had said yet. She stood at the edge of the lanai, her gaze out to the sea, her only reaction to certain parts of the story, was her fingers clenching and unclenching around the stone pillar. The moment he brought up the wedding rings, he thought Romy would break her hand. He was itching to uncurl her fingers, smoothing over the ridges left behind by her own fingernails and the wood. 

Romy could not face him, her eyes holding onto the ocean line with fierce determination. She felt the nausea returning, for the first time in a month she was unsure if it was because of their prune or Steve’s honesty. Her world was tilting again, the familiar feeling, which shed thought she’d left behind. Her mouth would not let her form the words she wanted to say, no to scream and it also wouldn’t let her say the comforting words Steve ached to hear. If she opened her mouth, she’d spew right in the hibiscus bush! 

“It is my fault, Romy!” Steve's shout cut through the air. He couldn’t stand Romy’s muteness anymore. He had just bared his soul, confessed to torturing a man, that he killed someone’s father, and she was still silent.

“My fucking fault,” he whispered and then got louder again. He was angry. Angry at himself for putting them into this position angry at Romy for not saying anything. “I slept with Greer! She fed us that intel and I slept with her and then I moved onto Catherine.” 

“How is this your fault?” Her forceful interruption made Steve take a step back. Romy faced him, one hand still on the pillar, her other slicing through the air, as she took apart his argument. “You don’t have a magic dick that makes a woman sell out her country once you stop sleeping with her. You’re good in bed but not that good.” Taking a breath, she tried to take the heat out of her voice. Shouting at each other would not solve what was broken. “What Greer did was on her and on nobody else! The same that your behaviour is on you!” 

“What do you mean?” 

Did Steve really not know? Could he really not see, what his behaviour did to them? “Nobody forced you to do this on your own.” 

“I…I…,” he started, but then gave up, Romy had decided to end her silence. There was no stopping her. 

“You broke my trust, Steve! You took what we built and threw it back in my face! Right on our own front door! You had our friends keep secrets from me. You did not talk to me…I begged you, Steve!” Tears threatened to finally come. She had thought she had cried all her tears in front of Planned Parenthood. “I begged you to call me and you ignored me. And I needed to talk to you so badly!” A sob broke through her voice. Steve’s hand shot out. He was aching to touch her, to hold her, to make her pain disappear. Who was he kidding to make his pain disappear too? The small recoil broke his heart more than any words Romy could ever shout at him. 

“I never thought you would do something like that to me…to us.” Romy took a deep breath, her symptoms getting worse the more agitated she became. She needed to calm down. “Your behaviour…what you did…it undermined me…undermined us…what we stand for…you made me lie to our son, to our families. Made me complicit in something I had no idea what was happening! For what? Revenge? Guilt?” She gasped, and then asked quietly “Was it worth it?” 

Steve could not look at her, the question killed something inside of him. Had it been worth it? Did he actually stop the circle of violence or did he just extend it for another generation? 

——xx——xx—— 

It was Steve’s turn to look over the ocean, contemplating what she had thrown at him. Romy almost smiled, yes he still looked troubled and tired, but he was here. They could work everything out, as long as he was here, as long as he stayed. 

Suddenly pain ripped through her, she had ignored her nausea and little ripples earlier on. This now, however? That were proper cramps, impossible to ignore. “Steve!” Her voice wobbled. 

Steve turned away from the ocean. “What?” His face was unreadable.

“I need you to drive me to the hospital now.” 

“What?” He took a step forward, hoping she wouldn’t refuse his touch now. “Why?” 

“Hospital now, please.” Romy groaned, holding onto their lanai furniture, as she made her way towards the door. She wanted to cry, but she felt something trickle down her leg. 

This couldn’t be true. 

Please. 

No. 

“If you won’t take me, I’ll drive myself.” Romy made careful, small steps trying to ease the pain and not excebarate any symptoms. Her phone was in her hand, as the door closed behind her. It took Steve a minute to put his body into gear, this was not what he expected to happen today. 

“…yeah heavy cramping and I think some bleeding…yeah I’m on my way now. Thank you, doc.” He caught the tail end of Romy’s call. What was happening? 

His hand enclosed around her elbow, steadying Romy, as she swayed in her flip-flops. 

“I got you.” 

One hand securely around Romy’s elbow, the other grabbing his phone, keys and her handbag. “I got you,” Steve repeated again, as he helped her up into his pick-up. 

Romy nodded, she curled herself around her knees. Putting pressure on her stomach and crossing her legs at the same time, hoping to relieve some pressure and to keep the little prune in. 

“Kings Medical?” Steve pulled out of the driveway. “Romy, hey?” His hand reached over and pushed her hair out of Romy’s face, trying to get her to react. “Kings Medical is ok, right?” 

He was getting worried now. These were not her usual cramps, this was way worse than her previous endometriosis bouts. “Gorgeous, come on. Talk to me.” he glanced over to her again. “You need to talk to me. Shout at me if you need to, but you’re not passing out on me. You hear me. Which hospital is your doctor waiting for you?” 

“Kapi’olani hospital.”

“Ok, Kapi’olani it is. We’re 10 minutes out.” He started to babble a little bit, anything to keep her talking. “Romy?” His head whipped around when she did not answer. Her head had lolled against the headrest, her eyes closed but she was whimpering. “We’re almost there.” 

Romy winced when he turned on the sirens, everything was just hurting so badly. She wanted it to stop, everything to stop. 

The tires of the car screeched as Steve broke to a full stop right in front of the hospital's emergency entrance. 

“I need help!” His shout was muffled through the closed car doors. “It’s my wife!” This one was louder when Steve wrenched open the car door. The next two minutes were a whirlwind. Romy could feel herself being handed over from Steve to a gurney to another one, and then she was out. 

It was a whirlwind for Steve as well. Questions were thrown at him from two sides, what was his wife’s name? What were her symptoms? What happened? Was she pregnant? Who was her doctor?

“I’m here!” Steve looked up and was never as grateful as right now when Dr Kekoa rounded the corner. “Mrs Erhardt - McGarrett called ahead. Her file has all the details. I need an ultrasound and make her comfortable.”

The doctor's hand on Steve’s arm stopped him from following Romy’s stretcher. “We need to talk.”

“What is going on here? I come home after 8 weeks and suddenly I need to bring her to the hospital.” Steve did not like the expression on Dr Kekoa’s face. This was not just a bout of endometriosis. This was serious. “Doc…” angst clouding over his previous bluster, “what is going on with my wife.”

“Commander McGarrett…your wife…Romy is…this is not how she wanted you to tell you but….Romy is 10 weeks pregnant.” Dr Kekoa interrupted herself when she saw Steve collapsing into himself. Luckily the wall behind him provided something to fall against. 

He had started to tune the doctor out…Romy was pregnant. She was 10 weeks along. Why didn’t she say anything to him? Why hadn’t she told him last night or this morning? 

“Commander…Steve?” A snap of fingers brought Steve out of his thoughts. He wished it didn’t. The doctor sported an ‘I’ve got bad news face’ it eerily was a carbon copy of his own, when he needed to deliver death notifications. 

Please.

No.

He couldn’t lose her. He could not lose Romy. 

Not after everything. 

“The endometriosis made the pregnancy a little bit more difficult than we’d like.” Dr Kekoa looked at him, Steve could see how she weighed up what to say next. “Romy knows this. We are prepared for this. However stress, and elevated blood pressure isn’t good for her or the embryo. This could be a touch-and-go situation.” Dr Kekoa’s voice bubbled through to him like underwater. “I’m going to see the patient now.”

Steve was alone again. Alone in a bustling hospital hallway. Romy - somewhere hidden away behind any of the doors. 

His eyes wide open. He’d tried to close them earlier but the only thing he’d saw was Romy’s face, white as a sheet as she lifted her bloody hand right before she collapsed against the car window. 

‘A baby...a freaking baby.’ It scared him. He shouldn’t have a baby. He couldn’t even be a proper father to an 18-year-old, how could be a father to a baby?

Dr Kekoa’s words rushed back to him…touch and go…Stress, that was on him…touch and go…touch and go…touch and go…

His phone buzzing in his jeans pulled him out of the merry-go-round, he answered on autopilot, not even checking who was calling. “McGarrett.”

“Hey babe, just wanted to check that Romy hadn’t killed you.” 

Steve sighed, Danny! Then it clicked. Danny was the one to come to Montana, to tell him ‘you need to come home now.’ ‘You need to call Romy.’ 

“Did you know?” His voice was quiet but harsh. If Danny knew and didn’t tell him...

“Did I know what?” Danny asked confused.

“That Romy is pregnant?”

Silence on the other line. 

“You did, didn’t you?” Steve pressed out. How could Danny keep that from him? How did he not say anything? 

“I…I…I didn’t know Steve.” Danny paused. “Did I know that something was up, sure? I mean Renee and Kono don’t move in with Romy for nothing.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?” 

“Are you for real now? I told you I didn’t know until you just said something. I haven’t spoken to Romy on her own for weeks. The girls had circled the wagons, and the only time I did Eddie growled at me so I stood 6 feet away.” Now Danny was getting pissed. “When was I supposed to tell you? When you wouldn’t answer anyone’s calls? When I git to you in Montana, where you were holed up with your ex - girlfriend torturing a man? Or in Laos when you pretended to be married to someone else? When Steve?” 

Both men were quiet after Danny’s outburst, heavy breathing was weighing down the line. 

“She didn’t tell me, Steve. And even if she did, those weren’t my news to tell.” 

“I know…I know…it’s just…a doctor just told me, after she almost collapsed at home. A heads up would have been nice.” 

“Where are you right now?” 

Steve pushed his hand hair through his hair “Kapi’olani hospital” 

“I’ll be there in 20!” Steve could hear Danny getting up and shouting something to someone next to him. 

“No.” Steve blurted out. “No, don’t come.” 

“What?” 

“I, I think Romy and I need to…we need to do this on our own.” He rubbed his hand over his face. “I mean she hasn’t told me yet. We weren’t done arguing about the past couple of weeks. It’s…I don’t want to overwhelm her.” 

“Ok…ok…” Danny slowed down from a run to a walk. “What do you need me to do.” 

“Can you go to ours and look after Eddie? Be there just in case we need to stay overnight and need some clothes.” 

“Sure, I can do that. Even if your dog tried to chase me off the property the last time I saw him.” 

“Mahalo, brother.” 

“Call me the moment you know anything,” Danny demanded, a short moment of silence and he added. “Don’t do anything stupid!” 

“I never do stu...” 

“Put a pin in it,” a heavy sigh reached Steve. “The last 8 weeks you were pretty stupid. You left your wife alone, didn’t call and she had something pretty big to deal with herself. She’s scared, she’s in pain. Just...just don’t go all Navy Seal on her.” 

“I messed up didn’t I?”

“Yeah, you did.” 

“Do you think....do you think she’ll ever forgive me?”

“I hope so, babe. I hope so.” 

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

She could make out voices in the distance, but it was too far away for her to distinguish who was talking. Concentrating on things closer to her was easier. The beeping sound of a machine. The coldness of the bed she laid on. The stickiness between her legs. Slowly Romy opened her eyes, her eyelids had never felt so heavy before. Just opening her eyes should get her out of upper body training for the next two weeks with Kono. 

“There you are,” someone squeezed her arm softly and a nurse appeared in her line of vision “You had people worried.” 

Romy nodded slowly before her hands flew down to her stomach “My…” 

“Let’s wait for the doc. She’ll be here soon. In the meantime let me clean you up a little bit.” He lifted the sheet off her lower body and started to clean up the blood between her legs. 

Closing her eyes, the nurse picked up on her discomfort quickly. “I’ll be as careful as I can.” 

The door opened again and another person entered the room 

 “I hoped I wouldn’t have to see you so soon again, Romy.” 

Recognising the Hawaiian twang everywhere, Romy could not help the relief that spread through her chest. She opened her eyes and tried to smile at the new arrival “Same here, Doc, same here.” 

Dr Kekoa sat down on a wheelychair and rolled next to Romy’s bed “I’m sorry, but I told your husband, that you are pregnant. I know you wanted this to go a little differently once he was back from duty.” Are not were, Romy didn’t care about not telling Steve herself anymore. Dr Kekoa used present tense not past, this was good. 

“It’s ok, nothing about this pregnancy seems to go after plan.” Romy shrugged her shoulder. Nothing, absolutely nothing had been how she’d imagined being pregnant. Her expectations had been adjusted at every twist and turn. What was adding another one to it?

“Still, I remember you saying things were difficult.” 

Romy nodded. Difficult was the understatement of the month. ‘Things’ with Steve were not difficult. They were so out of shape, that Romy barely recognised them anymore. 

“Do you want him in or out, before we discuss things further? He was pretty agitated outside.” 

Oh god! Her petty brain was chanting out, out, out, out - before Dr Kekoa had even stopped talking. Her treacherous heart, however, her heart needed him. Needed him to hold her hand. To tell her everything was going to be ok. Her brain was still considering letting him stew outside the exam room, not knowing what was happening. Making Steve feel for a small amount of time as helpless and insignificant as she had felt for the last weeks. When her mouth listened to her heart and said “In.” 

“Jerome,” Dr Kekoa turned to the nurse “Could you get Commander McGarrett?” 

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

“Commander McGarrett?” Steve whipped around at the shout of his name. 

“Yes!” Long strides ate the distance between him and the nurse on the other end of the hallway quickly. 

“They are ready for you.” Jerome motioned Steve to follow him down the corridor to another set of doors. He hesitated when the nurse’s hand closed around the handle. He had no idea what was waiting for him behind the door. His eyes found the nurses, hoping for some kind of inclination. 

“Mrs McGarrett is awake and responsive.” 

“Erhardt - McGarrett,” Steve corrected automatically. “It’s important to her.” 

“Of course.” Jerome nodded and then opened the door. 

 

Romy laid on the hospital bed, she was so pale and still. She did not look over at the door, her eyes firmly trained on Dr Kekoa to her side. Steve couldn’t help himself, his fingers threading through hers, as soon as he stood next to the bed. Romy didn’t reciprocate the squeeze he gave her fingers once he got hold of her hand. No reassuring, no leaning into him, no kiss. She just laid on the bed, his usually so tactile wife didn’t do anything. 

“Now that we’re complete.” The doctor nodded over to Steve. “Romy, your ultrasound has shown that your cervix has opened slightly, indicating signs of early labour.” Dr Kekoa squeezed Romy’s leg softly. “The baby is fine at the moment, but the cramps have put some stress on the fetus. The high blood pressure you had is not helping, most likely causing such a severe reaction that almost resulted in early termination of the pregnancy.” 

Steve’s head was swimming, so many words to describe one culminating sentence ‘termination of pregnancy’. 

He looked over to Romy, she looked straight ahead, no emotion in her eyes or face. He wanted to shake her, to make her say something when he saw a lone tear making its way down the side of her face. His thumb caught the tear, wiping it away. He let out a shattered breath as Romy leaned ever so slightly towards him. His hand opened in an instant, cradling her face, his thumb stroking her cheek. 

“But, as I said - at the moment the baby is strong and holding on incredibly well for only 11 weeks old. You’ve got a fighter.” Dr Kekoa squeezes Romy’s ankle again. “Now I know you won’t believe me until you see it for yourself.” She pulled an ultrasound machine closer, while Jerome pushed the blanket of Romy and then her hospital gown up “This is going to be cold.” A squirt of gel on her belly, made Romy suck in a quick breath. 

Steve held onto her limp hand for dear life, he was going to see their baby, their in-danger baby. 

Dr Kekoa let the ultrasound wand rove over Romy’s belly before she zeroed in. “There you are.” The Doctor sounded pleased. 

“That’s...that’s our baby?” Steve asked in wonder. He and Romy made this little blob. Their little fighter blob. 

“Yes...here’s the head, here’s...” the doctor started to point out the finer details on the screen. 

“Healthy, right?” Steve was almost too afraid to ask, but he needed to know. “All 10 fingers and 10 toes?”

“Well, you’re little one is just crossing into 11 weeks. That means fingers and toes haven’t fully separated yet, but everything measures as it should and it seems that the little strawberry here isn’t as faced from all the excitement as Mom and Dad are.” The doctor winked at them. “Usually we only do this at the 12 weeks scan, but I think you both breathe a little bit easier,” she flipped a little switch and suddenly a fast thumping filled the room. “The heart tones are good and strong if a little fast, but it got to meet makua kāne today, so who can fault it.” 

Romy turned her face from the ultrasound to Steve, she watched his face, as he took in the ultrasound screen and the heartbeats of their child. Wonder and excitement almost jumped out of his eyes, and all the plans she had spun in her head on how she would tell him, fell out of the window. Nothing would ever beat this look for her. 

Dr Kekoa let the parents have the moment, while she and Jerome busied themselves with printing off the ultrasound pictures and filling out the chart. Carefully she wiped the gel off Romy’s belly, it was time to burst the little bubble Romy and Steve were in. “We need to put in a cervical cerclage, Romy.” 

Romy closed her eyes - this wasn’t happening...

“We were worried about your weakened cervix from the beginning. I know it’s early for it, but it’s a purely safeguarding measure.” The doctor turned to the nurse. “Jerome, could you let the OR know?” 

“Hold on,” Steve looked from Romy to Dr Kekoa, “A cervical cerclage? What is that?” 

“It’s a stitch, Commander McGarrett.” 

“A stitch, where do you want to stitch? You said everything was fine. Why do we need a stitch?” 

Dr Kekoa looked at Romy before continuing, “First of all, ‘We’ do not need anything.” Oh, she always hated when anyone used the royal ‘we’ when talking about medical procedures. It was not like she was going to reach into Commander McGarrett’s reproductive organs and place a stitch. “Romy needs a cervical cerclage if she’d like to carry the pregnancy to term. Romy?” 

Romy nodded. “Yes, do what you need to do.” 

“Good - so what will I do? I will be placing a stitch in your cervix. It has not yet opened, but it’s weak. Stitching it together, will give it support and will help to avoid early labour and a late miscarriage.” 

Steve wanted to be sick. “What...how?” 

“Romy will be getting an epidural, then in the OR I will reach the cervix through her vagina and place the stitches.” 

“Is it dangerous?” 

“It isn’t pleasant. It’s one of the most invasive things we can do to a woman, but it’s not any more dangerous than giving birth.” 

A couple of seconds passed in silence “I’m gonna go and check in with the OR and hopefully we can get this show on the road within the next hour.” The Doctor handed the ultrasound pictures to Steve and left the room. 

“Romy talk to me, please,” Steve begged. 

“I don’t have anything to say at the moment.” Romy pursed her lips and turned away. 

“Gorgeous, please.” Steve squeezes her hand, before pressing a kiss to it. 

“Anything I have to say to you will raise my blood pressure. Me, not talking to you, is the best I can do right now.” 

Steve closed his eyes, tears threatening to come. He messed up, he messed up so badly. 

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

The aggressive silence in the room was interrupted by Romy’s phone buzzing. Romy shook her head at him when Steve asked “You want to take it?” 

He checked the display of her phone, Renee’s and Romy’s smiling faces greeted him as the phone continued to buzz. “It’s Renee.” He said hoping she would reconsider. 

“You do it,” Romy murmured. 

“Ok.” Steve accepted the call and stepped outside. “Hi, Renee.” 

“Steve? Is that you? What happened? Is Romy ok?” 

“I brought her to the hospital. She was bleeding and had cramps…”

“Fuck! Is Dr Kekoa there?” Renee’s voice shook. 

“Yeah, Romy called her before we left the house. Why didn’t you tell me?” Steve bit his lip after the question tumbled out. 

“Not my news to tell. The better question is why didn’t you call your wife back? Too busy with other stuff?” Renee fired right back. 

“Romy does not need me to fight her battles, but let me tell you something, Steve. I’m sick and tired to pick up the pieces when you run away to deal with things.” 

“We were dealing with spies and terrorists. I’m sorry for not wanting to involve my wife in this.” 

“But you had no qualms involving my husband and making him lie to me and to your wife?” 

Steve didn’t know how to answer Renee’s question. She was right, but he didn’t know how to handle it any differently. 

“Fix this, Steve. You need to fix this.” 

Steve bowed down, hands on his knees, “I…I don’t know.” 

“What do you mean?” 

“She won’t talk to me....apparently anything she has to say to me will raise her blood pressure, which is toxic for her.” 

“Steve.” 

“I know...I just don’t know what to do. This is my fault, I left her alone...which husband let his wife deal with this shit on her own? The nurses in the ER were asking me all kinds of questions, I couldn’t answer. I couldn’t even answer the most simple one. Is your wife pregnant? What kind of husband does that make me?” 

Renee didn’t know what to say, this could pull them apart, no Steve’s behaviour could kill them as a couple. “She said she doesn’t like me much at the moment.” 

“Ouch,” Renee responded. That was harsh from Romy. “Can you tell me what she got? The hospital actually only called me that she admitted but did not elaborate.” 

“They called you?” Steve asked. 

“Yeah, she made her second emergency contact, just in case something happened and you’re not here.” That almost hurt more than Romy’s refusal to speak to him. She needed to make concessions just in case he didn’t come back. If he could he would hate himself even more now. 

“They need to stitch up her cervix,” he explained. “It needs support and then she needs some bed rest at home and god…she’s really pregnant.” 

Renee needed to smile, it was finally sinking in. “Steve, just in case nobody has said it yet.” She waited for a second to make sure he’d hear her. “Congratulations.” 

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

Romy knew she was horrible to Steve right now. She knew in her heart of hearts that punishing him by not talking to him would not be doing anybody any good. She knew that making him talk to Renee was mean and that her friend would give him a piece of her mind. She knew all of this, but couldn’t care. Their argument was what had brought this on, their argument put the pregnancy at risk. She couldn’t talk to him right now, because before she could say anything else, they needed to finish their talk from this morning and she couldn’t risk it. Couldn’t risk the strawberry. 

“I filled Renee in.” Steve had stepped back into the room, taking his place perched on the side of the gurney again. “She had some things to say to me as well.” 

Romy closed her eyes, he sounded so hurt and defeated. “Do you think I wished this to happen?” 

“What?” Steve grasped her hand. 

“Do you think it realised that we were not ready for it and that’s why…I mean I can’t imagine my inhospitable uterus is a nice place to settle in? And you weren’t here and I considered to…”

“Romy, what are you talking about?” Steve was getting worried. Romy was babbling utter nonsense. Was this a side effect of the cramps? 

“Is my body telling me that I can’t have a baby, because I considered getting rid of it?” Romy panicked. “I mean, who was I kidding right? I could never afford a child on my own? A single mother to two kids? On my salary? In one of the most expensive cities in the US? Without my husband, without my family. Lying to my children about why Dad isn’t home. That he chose something else over us? If he really wanted this.” 

“Romy…” Steve tried to wrap his head around her outburst, so he concentrated on the easy one, “Of course, I want this.” 

“You weren’t here.” Romy’s voice was tight “What did I know what you wanted or not? It’s not like I could talk to you. I thought this was the only way.” She whispered the last part. 

“What happened?” 

“I went to a clinic.” 

A feather could have knocked Steve over. Never, never in his life did he think he’d hear those words out of Romy’s mouth. 

“We’re ready for you, Romy.” A knock on the door and the perky nurse from earlier appeared in the open doorway. Steve still stood in the middle of the room, when they pushed Romy’s bed past him. She considered aborting their baby. She went to a clinic. She almost went through with it. She almost got rid of what they had wanted for two years. 

“Steve?” Romy’s scared voice echoed back into the now empty room. 

How scared must she have been to actually consider this step? How scared must she be now? Confessing this, when he had not been forthcoming at all. 

His feet carried him out before his brain made the final decision. His fingers curled around Romy’s. He kept up pace with the nurses pushing Romy’s bed towards the OR doors. 

“I’m sorry.” Romy hiccuped when his face appeared next to her. 

“It’s ok.” Steve grasped her hand. “You didn’t do it, Romy. That’s all that matters. You didn’t do it. There is nothing to forgive. You hear me.” He kissed their intertwined hands. “I love you, gorgeous.” 

Then she disappeared behind closed doors and he needed to wait. 

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

Steve watched the hand of the clock ticking away, one minute, then another. How was it only 2pm in the afternoon? This day was never ending and it wasn’t even halfway over yet. They had wheeled Romy back a couple of minutes ago. She was still groggy from the epidural and Steve spent the time watching her. 

“I’m sorry.” It blurted right out when she blinked her eyes open and they had not the glassy look of being drugged anymore. 

Romy let out a breath, this is the first time since he’d been home that he said he was sorry. Carefully she tried to sit up, she could not do this conversation lying down. Steve’s hands are right there to help her get comfortable. 

“No, you are not.” She shook her head at him. 

Steve smiled sadly, Romy always saw right through him. She needed more than a generic ‘I’m sorry.’. 

“I’m sorry that I hurt you. I am sorry that I made you doubt my feelings for you, about what I want for us. I’m sorry that I even made you consider aborting the…” 

“Blueberry.” Romy smiled at Steve’s confused face. “It was the size of a blueberry at that point. Now it’s a strawberry.” She put his hand on her lower belly. “But you are not sorry, that you went and left me behind.” 

“No, I am not.” Steve looked down at his hand on Romy’s belly. He was holding his child in a warped sense, touching Romy meant touching their child. “I needed to protect you, and knowing what I know now,” he swallowed, quickly looking up at Romy and then back down to his hand, it had been joined by Romy’s. “I’d do it again. Not the not calling you,” he added quickly “But staying away until it was sorted, I’d do it the exact same way.” 

Romy squeezed his hand. 

“I am sorry, that I hurt you.”

“I know, Steve. It will take some time though.” 

“I understand.” 

“Lie with me.” Romy pulled at their joined hands. 

Steve hesitated for a second before he pushed his flip-flops off and crawled on the hospital bed with her. 

He laid on his side facing her, his hand still interlaced with her on her belly, his head supported by the other. 

"I've broken us." He whispered against her hair.

Romy shook her head, almost bristling at the insinuation that they could be broken. “We’re not broken, Schnuffi. We're a little bent right now, but nothing could break us.”

“They are bigger aren’t they?” Steve broke the silence after a while. 

“What?” Romy turned her head towards him, she had no idea where he was going with this. 

“Your boobs…” he gestured with their interlaced fingers. 

Chuckling Romy, lifted and cradled his cheek in her hand, thumb caressing his cheek “Yeah, they are bigger and a bit sore.” 

“I’m sorry. Tell me everything.” 

“What do you want to know?” 

“Everything!” Steve pressed a kiss to the palm of her hand still cradling his face. 

“You really want to know?” Romy raised her eyebrows, Steve was in for a surprise. 

“The morning sickness is almost gone luckily, but I still feel like I need to pee constantly. My boobs are killing me most of the time and well now I’m stitched up to avoid it making its appearance too early.” 

Pulling her closer, Steve rearranged them so that her back was to his chest, so as to not put more pressure on her sore boobs. 

“Oh, and how could I forget nausea, I’ve been living on plain crackers and ginger ale.” 

“I’ll make sure we’re thoroughly stocked with those everywhere.” He buried his face in her neck, his hand caressing her belly. “Are you…” he brushed over a specific area again, “are you showing already?” 

Romy giggled softly “Now you’re imagining things. This is just my normal belly.” 

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

The hospital discharged her two hours later, with the guide to take it easy, not too strenuous activities and no stress, otherwise to live her life. 

Steve however had other ideas, the moment Romy tried to get out of the hospital-issued wheelchair he was on her “What do you think you are doing?” 

Romy was pushing herself out of the chair “Going to the car?” she half asked, half said. 

“I don’t think so,” and with that Steve had swooped her up bridal style and carried her over to his car. 

Once settled, Steve pressed a kiss to her lips to interrupt her drawn-out “Steeevvveeee” 

Driving home, for the first time since coming back to Hawaii, Steve adhered to every speed limit, used his turn signals and had a constant eye on his precious cargo on the passenger seat. Pulling into their driveway, he fixed her with a serious glare “Don’t even think about it.” 

Romy held up her hands in surrender “Unbuckling my seat belt is allowed though?” 

Steve opened her car door “I’ll do that for you.” He leaned across her to clip her loose. 

Lifting her out of the car carefully, he turned to the house. 

“Excuse me, Captain America. Are you planning to leave the car open and what about my stuff?” Romy looped her arms around his neck. 

“Don’t worry about it.” He gave the passenger a shove with his foot and it snapped shut. Then he raised his voice and he shouted. “Danny! Danny!” 

It took two seconds for him to appear at the door. “What the hell is the matter with you!” Danny shouted back while trying to keep Eddie inside the house. The dog trying to weasel a way past Danny to greet his Mom and Dad.  

“Romy’s bag!” Steve nodded his head in the direction of the car. “And lock the car.” 

“Please, Danny.” Grumbling Danny came down from the porch “Thank you, Danny.” 

“You’re a damn Neanderthal.” He pushed his way past Steve, with Romy’s bag on his shoulder. Grinning at Steve, who struggled to keep a hold of Romy and trying to get past Eddie. The dog kept jumping up at him, trying to greet Romy and to make sure she was alright. 

“Eddie. Stop it.” Steve managed to get two inches closer to the house. “Edward, stop it! You can say hello in just a second.” 

It was only when Romy said, “Eddie. Inside. Now,” that the pup let up his welcome dance and raced ahead inside the house. 

“You need to teach me how you do that,” Steve laughed and flipped Danny off, who held open the door for them and bowed as Romy and Steve passed him. 

“Shall I bring you upstairs?” Steve whispered against Romy’s temple. 

She shook her head, Steve got ready to argue, when Danny interrupted “I set up your kitchen and walked your menace of a dog.” 

“Set up?” Steve turned with Romy in his arms. 

“Yeah, realised you didn’t have much. So I stocked it up, with all the good stuff.” 

“Danny…” Romy sighed thankfully at her friend. 

“Anytime, babe!” Danny leaned over and kissed her on the cheek. “Anything for you.” 

“Danny,” Romy grasped his shirt sleeve. “We…” 

“Nah, don’t tell me now. Tell me when everything is settled and we can celebrate.” 

“Mahalo, brother!” Steve relished in the quick and awkward hug Danny pulled them in. Then the door closed and they were alone. Alone for the first time since this morning. The quietness settled over them like a calming balm. 

“Steve!” Romy gasped and her fist curled into his shirt. 

“Are you ok!” He asked frantically, he was already setting her down in their rocking chair and grabbing for his phone. 

“Nahele!” Romy had not let go of his shirt. “We need to tell Nahele. Now.” 

“Romy, you sure?”

“Yes!” 

Steve shifted them both around on the rocking chair, Romy sitting on his lap. He held his phone out in front of him while establishing a video chat with Nahele. 

“You sure a college freshman can take a call at 4pm on a Saturday?” 

“He’s either having breakfast or getting ready to party tonight. I’d say now is the best time.” Romy teased him. 

“Dad!” Nahele’s face appeared on the screen with a wide grin. “You’re back!”

“I’m back, kiddo.” It felt so good to see his son, his wild curls not fitting properly on the screen. Steve angled the camera a bit so that Romy was more on the screen.  

“Hi ‘Hele.” Romy wiggled her fingers at the screen.  

“Oh my god, Dad. You missed so much…did Mom fill you in already? I mean we could have skipped the whole visit from two navy officers, but Christmas was actually pretty lit. Sorry, you missed it though….” 

“Nahele,” Steve interrupted him gently. “We got something to tell you.” 

The grin disappeared from Nahele’s face straight away. Whenever a conversation started that way it was never ending well. 

“No! No!” Romy tried to stop him from assuming the worst. “It’s good news, kiddo.” She smiled at Steve. “At least we think so?” 

“The very best of news.” Steve kissed Romy’s cheek. 

Nahele looked from one to the other, “You actually going to tell me or do you want me to guess?” 

“You ready to become a  k aikuaʻana?” Romy asked, sounding out the Hawaiian word carefully. 

“You shittin’ me right?” Nahele’s eyes became comically wide. 

They shook their heads at him, both smiling when their son's grin took over his whole face. 

“That’s amazing! I’m booking a flight home straight away.” Nahele started to hop a little on his bed. 

“You stay put at school, kiddo.” Romy scolded him playfully. “You come home as we planned in three weeks, not a moment earlier. You got exams coming up - you hear me.” 

“Geez,” Nahele rolled his eyes. “Just excited for my little sibling.” 

“Us, too.” 

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

After chatting to Nahele, talking him down from making a TikTok announcement straight away, they migrated out to the beach and sunk into the Adirondack chairs. Steve had tried to steer them to their swing, but Romy had waved him off. “Only if you want me to puke all over you.” 

“I missed this,” Steve sighed, as he massaged Romy’s feet, trying to find the pressure point that alleviates nausea. 

“Me too,” Romy reached over and grasped one of his hands in his. “It’s over now isn’t it?” 

“What?” 

“This revenge thing. The whole you killed my father, so I’ll kill you?” 

“Romy?” Steve wasn’t too sure where she was going with this. That hadn’t been what this was, right? 

“It’s been on my mind the whole day.” 

“You had time for other things to be on your mind today?” He asked flabbergasted. His brain had been solely focused on one thing, and one thing only today.

“I can multitask,” was Romy’s prim response, making Steve chuckle. “But, what I mean is,” her tone of voice serious again. “You went after Wo Fat because he had your father killed. Wo Fat went after you because he thought you knew where your father was. Hassan killed so many people because his father got killed. Now his son saw this happen. Will he come after you? Will then one of our children need to kill him…will this circle end?” 

“I…I don’t know.” Steve was at a loss, did he just condemn his children into the vicious circle of guilt and revenge. “I will do everything I can to stop this from happening again.” 

“You promise?” Romy perched over onto his lap. She needed to be close, needed to feel his strong body underneath her hands. Letting herself be held by him, this massive force of human being that would stop at nothing to protect the people he loved. Romy hoped he understood what she meant, relieved when she felt Steve nod. 

His forehead pressed against her temple. He was still at a loss for words. 

“You have to say it. Promise me.” Romy did not let it go that easily. She couldn’t, not when the lives of her loved ones were at stake. 

“I promise,” Steve whispered. 

Romy unwound her arms from his shoulders. “I’d rather you shake on it. Your promises have been a bit loose recently.” She held her right hand out to Steve, her wedding and engagement ring glistening in the winter sun. 

Steve took her hand, pressing a kiss to her rings before shaking it solemnly. 

“I just wanted to protect you all.” 

“I know, Steve.” Romy held his gaze, hoping he would see that she means it. “I don’t need you to be a knight in shining armour. I need my partner. The same way you need me as your partner right?” 

Steve nodded, brushing his lips against Romy’s relishing in the feeling when her lips opened to his in a soft kiss. 

“You took that from me. Being able to be there for you. Being your partner, standing by you. And it will take a while to forgive you for that.” 

“But not forget?” Steve asked. 

“I don’t think I’ll ever forget. It was the scariest and alone I ever felt. Like I missed a step or something?” 

“Like darkness had seeped into us?” 

“Yeah exactly. Like darkness seeping in.” Romy nodded, glad that Steve seemed to understand. 

“I felt the same way.” Steve kissed her again. “You’re all I ever needed. You, and Nahele, and Eddie, and this one here,” his fingers brushed over her belly. “But I couldn’t get past it like I couldn’t breathe through it.” 

Romy could feel his breath get stuck in his chest, as he fought out the words. It almost felt like he was pulled back into the whirl of guilt and revenge right in front of her eyes. She wound her arms back around his shoulder, “It’s gonna be alright, Schnuffi. I’m right here. I’m gonna hold you for as long as you need.” 

Foreheads pressed together, she did just that, holding onto Steve in the slowly setting sunlight. 

“I love you,” she murmured in sync with the lapping sound of the waves behind them. Steve’s fingers found the bottom of her strands, brushing against Romy’s shoulders and neck, while he sifted through her hair. 

“I love you too.” He let out a shattering breath, “so much.” 

“I know it’s early, but I feel like I could fall asleep any moment,” Romy’s words were punctuated by yawns. 

“We had an eventful day, “ Steve agreed with his own stifled yawn. 

“Do you mind if we go to bed?” 

“No,” he stood up, with Romy still in his arms and walked up to the house. “I doubt any of us has been sleeping peacefully the last couple of weeks.” He said, pressing a kiss to the top of her head. 

Romy slid down his body, before burying herself into Steve’s side. “Come on, let’s go to bed.” With that, she led him towards their bedroom.  

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

Romy was suddenly wide awake. Her eyes had popped open while being the most relaxed she had been in a while. She looked over to her alarm clock, she had been sleeping solidly for four hours, and what glorious hours it had been. Until her subconscious rose abruptly. How could she forget? Yeah ok, the day had been long and tedious and she had surgery but she still couldn’t believe she did forget it. 

“Steve!” She whispered urgently and shook her peacefully sleeping husband. “Steve. Come on! Schnuffi. Wake up.” 

“Wha…What?” Steve woke with a start. “Are you ok? Do I need to drive you to the hospital?“ He was already halfway out of the bed when Romy managed to get hold of his arm and pulled him back down. 

“I'm fine!” She rolled her eyes a little at his overzealousness.

Steve flopped back down on the bed, his arm slung over his eyes in relief. “You cannot scare me like this, gorgeous.” 

“I'm sorry. But I’ve got to tell you something important.” 

“What?” Steve pulled a face while trying not to laugh. His wife was killing him today. 

Romy kneeled on their bed, her grin wide as she leaned over and whispered into his ear. “I’m pregnant.” 

Chapter 60: You and me on the rock

Summary:

Summary: An accident - a promise and an announcement

Warnings: Reference to Sex but no Smut

Episode: Season 9 Episode 12 + 13

Pregnancy: Week 11 - 13

Song: You and me on the rock by Brandi Carlile

Notes:

Hello, lovelies, 

How are you all?

Let’s dive into Romy’s pregnancy. Family moments galore are incoming.

Your reviews, comments, follows and kudos make my day - keep them coming! 

Enjoy xx 

Chapter Text

The obnoxious ringing of two phones woke Steve up. “Yeah, McGarrett?” His eyes were still closed when he answered the line.

“What?! Is she…” His eyes snapped open and rushed out of bed, dislodging Romy with his movements.

“Steve? What’s going on?” She sat up herself almost getting dizzy by watching her husband trying to work his legs into his pants. He looked over to her, unable to form the words he swallowed once and then twice. His hand clasped the bottom part of his phone, so he didn’t speak directly into it. “Grace was in an accident.”

“Grace?” Romy moved out of bed now as well. “Grace Williams, our Gracie?”

“Yeah,” Steve had lifted his hand off the speaker again. “I…I don’t…yeah sure. Of course. I’m on my way.” He hung up and looked over at Romy. “What are you doing?”

“Getting dressed,” Romy frowned at him. Going to the hospital.”

“No. You are not.”

Romy’s eyebrows shot up at his brusk response. “Excuse me? What?”

The tone of her voice chilled the air in the room, almost making goosebumps appear on Steve’s skin. “Shit Romy. Can we not have this conversation now?” He tried to avoid the argument that was about to start between them.

“You mean you can tell me what to do whenever you want and I’m not allowed to voice my displeasure over it?” she violently tugged a grey soft sweater over her head.

Fuck, this was not what he meant, this was not what he wanted to say. Like everything in the last couple of days, as soon as he opened his mouth it went sideways. He sat down with a huff on the bed, while he put on his socks. “I didn’t mean to. I’m sorry.”

“Ok, let’s go then.”

“Romy, please.” Steve grabbed her hand, as they both walked down the stairs. “I…I…”

“Steve,” Romy squeezed his hand, “I’m not made out of glass. I got the go-ahead from the doctors.”

“I know,” he sighed. He did not know how to say it, he could not have… just the thought of Romy being in a hospital after their visit last week made his skin crawl.

“How about, I don’t go inside? Just grabbing Danny’s keys and I’ll stay with Charlie,” Romy offered.

“That’s…” Steve swallowed, “that’s a compromise.”

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

Romy wasn’t sure if she was supposed to be mad or not. Here she was serving breakfast to a very tired Charlie Williams while trying not to heave at the smell of butter and orange juice when Noelani called her. Apparently, her overprotective husband had arranged for her to take over babysitting duty. As if she wasn’t able to take care of their 5-year-old nephew by herself. He took the ‘taking it easy’ directive from Dr Kekoa way too literally.

 

“Mommy,” Charlie shouted out happily when spotted his mom in the hospital waiting room.

“Hi, baby.” Rachel bent down to hug her son.

“Hi,” Romy stepped over to Danny enveloping him in a hug.

“Where's Grace?” Charlie asked looking around for his sister.

“Hey, buddy.” Danny let Romy out of his arms and crouched down to Charlie’s eye level. “Uh, Grace is, uh... she's with the doctors, and they're taking really good care of her right now, but I think that it's gonna be very boring here today, so maybe you want to hang out with Auntie Noelani today, or what?”

“Can I not stay with Aunt Romy?” Charlie’s eyes wandered over to Romy.

“I’m sure Aunt Noelani has planned some pretty dope stuff for you.” Romy winked at him.

“Please I want to stay with you,” he hung onto Romy’s hand wiggling around making his aunt sway.

“Oh, sorry, you know what? My schedule's packed.” Noelani piped up, “I got to eat an ice cream sundae, then I got to go build the new Lego City fire station…”

Charlie turned from begging for Romy to look at Noelani sceptically “I like Legos and ice cream.”

“You do? Well, you want to hang out?”

Charlie nodded enthusiastically letting go of Romy instantly.

“All right, this bag has Grace's stuff, and this one's for Rachel.” Romy handed over the two bags to Danny. “I also added some bits in for you.”

“Thank you.” Danny squeezed her to him again.

“You know I could have kept Charlie with me today, right?”

“Your husband thought differently.”

Romy closed her eyes and exhaled deeply. “One of these days he’s going to wind up in an accident and you need to be my alibi.”

“You got it, babe.” Danny pressed a kiss on her.

 

Romy settled in with a little bit of food from Kamekona and became the intermediary for all phone calls to Rachel and Danny. They really didn’t need to deal with worried or pretend worried friends and friends of friends right now.

 

“What are you doing here?” Steve pulled her out of the waiting room when he came in for a quick check-in with Danny.

“Hello to you too, husband,” Romy cocked her head. “Well, I dropped Charlie off, because you arranged for Noelani to look after him. According to my husband, I’m too fragile to babysit our nephew anymore.” She looked at him intently, “I cannot live like this for the next 6 months.” She sighed. “You need to relax.”

Steve looked down at his hands, for the first time realising he had them clenched tightly. He had been trying to keep it together for Danny, for himself, but it had been once more at the expense of Romy. “Fine,” he took her hand. “I back off, but if you get too tired, or cause yourself any pain, or get stressed out, you are going home.” Steve acquiesced.

“I’m not made out of glass, Schnuffi,” Romy said without the sting her voice had moments ago.

“Right now, yes, you are. Take it or leave it.”

“Ok,” her hand cradled his cheek. “I take it.”

“Thank you!” Relief flooded him so much that he leaned down and did something he had not done properly for weeks. He had not known if it was welcome since he’d been back. Romy had been keeping him at a distance. But now, he could not help himself. His lips met Romy’s of their own volition. “I love you, gorgeous.” His hand wandered to her belly. “Both of you.”

“We love you too.” Romy’s hand quickly covered his. “Now go and find that douchebag.” She pushed him away softly, sending Steve off.

——xx——xx—— 

Steve stepped up to Danny, and his friend sat against the wall of the non-descriptive hospital hallway. He had never seen his brother like that. He really did not know what would happen to Danny if Grace did not survive. “Found the guy?” Danny asked.

“Yeah,” Steve sat down next to him “we found the guy.”

“Thanks.”

“I got to say, man, this kid's really starting to take after her old man.” Steve patted Danny’s arm. “I mean, standing up to the bully, speaking up for the little guy.”

Danny smiled softly “Yeah, I think maybe she, uh... she gets that from you more than me.”

“What are you talking about?”

“I don't know, uh, Rachel made a graduation video for Grace, and I think you and Romy are in more shots than I am.”

“Really?” Steve grinned at that.

“Yeah,” Danny snorted. “Don't get excited about it.”

“No, I'm not getting excited.” Steve shook his head, but the smile did not disappear. “I would like to see it. Oh, hey, you know what?” An idea popped into his head. “We should have a graduation party for Grace at our place … in the backyard, we'll get a big screen and a projector for the video.”

Danny slapped Steve’s hand away “Shut up.” He said laughingly.

“Invite the neighbourhood,” Steve raised his eyebrows, laughing now as well. They were interrupted by Rachel and Romy rounding around the corner.

“She's out.” Rachel stormed into Danny’s arms.

Romy wrapped her arms around Steve’s middle “She's okay.”

“She's okay.” Both Steve and Danny repeated, again and again, all four of them having their arms around each other in a big group hug.

——xx——xx——

Romy and Steve were leaning against the wall opposite Grace’s ICU room, they watched how Danny and Rachel settled down next to their daughter on the bed.

“What a day.” Romy breathed out. She yawned and checked her watch, how can it only be 5pm?

“It definitely feels like more than one day,” Steve agreed with her, pulling her close and pressing a kiss to Romy’s temple. “I’m really hoping this one is not a girl.”

“What? Why?”

“The bitchiness I encountered today plus assholes scaring them so much they drive off a road.” Steve’s head thudded against the wall. “Ah fuck…you know I don’t care if it’s a girl or a boy. But, fuck Romy, today was hard.”

“You did good today,” Romy grasped his other hand. Steve’s looked down, he had not anticipated Romy to reach out like this. They were still on rocky and bumpy ground, this was the first time their interaction did not feel stilted. Her fingers started combing through his hair, letting his head rest against her shoulder. Romy seeking out his touch was like a shot of energy into his heart. “God,” he groaned. “I love when you are believing in me.”

“I never stopped believing in you.” She smiled down at him tenderly, “never stopped loving you either.

Standing there in the hospital hallway, with Romy by his side he felt at peace again. Like the puzzle pieces that moved to the wrong spots during his time avenging his Team Guys deaths were slotting back into their rightful place.

——xx——xx——

Their moment was interrupted by Danny and Rachel stepping out of the room. “Someone wants to say Hi.” Rachel nodded behind her. Grace was smiling at them through the window.

“Is she ok to have other visitors?” Romy asked.

“Yeah, go ahead.”

“Ten minutes only though,” Danny reminded them of the doctor’s order.

“Hey sweetheart,” Romy and Steve said simultaneously, as they settled down on either side of Grace’s bed. Grace was still a little bit loopy, her eyes not quite able to focus. “Your Dad and your Uncle were both completely out of their minds with worry.” Romy continued when she realised that Steve was unable to form much of a coherent sentence. “But they’re so proud of you for standing up for your friend. Twice.”

Grace's fingers moved against Romy’s, indicating that she heard her. “And well, this one here,” Romy pulled Grace’s hand to her belly, “needs a kick-ass cousin to look up to.”

Grace’s eyes shot completely open, and she struggled to speak. Romy put her finger to her lips, “It’s a secret.”

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

Steve couldn’t sleep, the last two days had been rough. First Grace’s accident and then today he had finally bit the bullet - he had gone to therapy. The receptionist almost dropped the call when he said he needed an appointment. It was a hard session. An hour full packed with guilt and breaking cycles of family dysfunction. He was completely drained and shattered. His mind however was wide awake.

When the therapist asked why he was here now, after almost 2 years of silence, Steve swallowed. He wasn’t sure if he was allowed to say. “I messed up recently and it…it almost cost me the most important thing I have.”

“Then I shall see you in two weeks.”

And with that, he was back to regular therapy. Danny would be so proud.

He looked down, Romy’s elbow had nudged his side, while she tried to find a more comfortable position. One of her legs tossed over his, her head nestled next to his shoulder. Her torso was close but not touching his arm trying to avoid putting additional pressure on her sore breasts. His eyes roved down her body to her lower tummy. His mind still had not completely processed the fact that she was pregnant. That she was the home of a little bit of him right now. His fingers splayed over her sleep shorts. How big was their baby at the moment?

Was it able to hear already?

As much as he had enjoyed the whole baby-making process, he felt woefully underprepared. Could they tell people? Should they tell people?

Both Danny and Renee knew what was going on and from what Romy had mentioned, so did Kono. But they hadn’t been told officially and the others had no idea at all.

Carefully he moved up against the headboard and grabbed the phone off his nightstand.

According to a website, their little strawberry had grown into a lime and is now a full-grown lemon, apparently as Romy was inching into her 2nd trimester. It was making white blood cells right now and somehow moving to the front of Romy’s belly. They could expect a little bump to form any day now. What the actual fuck? This was incredible.

Quietly he slid back down on the bed, Romy had flopped over onto her back while he was scrolling his phone.

“Ok, kiddo,” Steve curled up against Romy, his mouth right next to her belly. “Here’s the deal. No more complications and no more scare tactics anymore. Your Mom really doesn’t need it, she dealt with it enough and well I don’t think I could stand seeing her in a hospital again. You hear me.” His thumb brushed over the side of Romy’s belly. “Also, you got a brother that wants to meet you desperately and so many aunts and uncles you won’t know what to do with you. Your grandparents are pretty far away but believe me they’re the best you could wish for. And your Mom, well your Mom. She is the…” his forehead rested against Romy’s skin. He didn’t know how to describe what he was feeling for Romy. “She saved me, saves me every fucking day. She is the most beautiful, complex, caring and fiercely person, I’ve ever known. She is the best mother you can ever want, your brother will confirm that. And I’m trying, lime. I’m really trying to deserve you all. You might have realised that I wasn’t there in the beginning. I’ll never forgive myself for that. But I love you. Love you so much already.”

“The lemon knows.”

Steve looked up, his chin perched onto Romy’s hipbone.

“What?”

She smiled down at him, her hand in his hair, she twirled a strand around her finger.

“Told it when it was just a blueberry.”

Steve closed his eyes. Of course, she did. “Thank you.” His breath fanned over her exposed skin, making goosebumps appear in its wake.

“And you might want to curb the swearing a little, it has ears now.” She tugged at his hair a little, making Steve chuckle and wince at the same time.

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

“Mom! Dad!” Nahele bounced through the busy airport towards his parents, hugging Steve and then hovering in front of Romy unsure.

“What? Don’t I get a hug?” She feigned being insulted.

“Can I still hug you?” Nahele asked unsurely.

“What do you mean by that?”

“Well you know, I don’t want to crush the baby.”

“Aww, kiddo,” Romy threw herself around her son, a couple of tears leaking out of the corner of her eyes.

Steve smothered his grin with his hand when Nahele’s eyes bugged out at the sheer force of Romy’s hug. He did step in when Nahele’s face started to turn red and he mouthed ‘Help me!’ at his Dad.

“Come on, Romy, let him breathe,” Steve unpeeled Romy’s fingers from around Nahele’s shoulders.

“Fine. Fine.” She sniffled and stepped back. “You can’t crush the baby, ‘Hele, but you can make it less nauseous by switching to a different cologne!”

She pushed her handbag into Steve’s arms and beelined to the bathrooms on the opposite part of the airport arrivals hall.

“Welcome to Hormone-Ville, kiddo.” Steve slung his arm around Nahele’s shoulder. “You can look forward to tears, nausea and your Mom falling asleep at like 7pm every night.”

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

The room around them was bustling getting ready for Grace’s return and her little surprise party. Adam had Charlie on his shoulders to hang up the banner they had painted earlier on. Steve tried to get Romy to sit down, she was still supposed to take it easy, even if she was not listening at all. He managed at least to persuade her out of the kitchen, the smells in there were getting to her. They managed to narrow it down to butter, which seriously affected their morning kiss after he had his cup of coffee. How Romy smelled the butter through the coffee, he would never figure out. But her nose had seriously turned into a truffle pig, yesterday night she smelt the mustard he had on his sandwich for lunch.

A hush fell over the group as they heard Danny, Rachel and Grace approaching the door. A massive cheer erupted when Rachel opened the door and lead Grace through it. “Dad, did you know?” she turned around with a big grin on her face, which was mirrored by Danny and Rachel. Both of them filled with utter relief to see their daughter back on her feet, even if it was still a bit wobbly.

“No, I didn’t know anything,” Danny winked at her and pulled Rachel close to him, watching their daughter being greeted and hugged by his family.

“It’s good to see you, buddy!” He was surprised to see Nahele here, he had no idea that he had planned to come.

“Springbreak, man,” Nahele cheered after they did their little hugging and backslapping routine.

“College treating you well?”

“Courses are hard, social life is sweet though.” He grinned and Danny laughed right with him. “Oh and Kamekona says chow is ready.”

“Thanks, buddy.” Danny patted Nahele’s back and moved over to Steve, Grover and Grace. “That’s enough. Do you want to make her cry? That’s enough,” he interrupted their love fest.

“Come on. You sure you not talking about you?” Lou mimed a tear running down his cheek. “You getting a little glistening…”

“You wanna eat.” Danny interrupted him, leading him towards the dining room table “Let’s eat, please.”

 

Steve hovered around Romy and Grace like a bee, making sure they had everything - then buzzing away to check in with Tani, Adam and Koa before returning again.

“Can you please stop walking around, Romy?” Steve herded her once more back to the sofa, hands out and everything.

“Only if you stop watching my every move.” Romy countered.

“The doctor said to take it easy until week 16, you still have another month to go.”

“I don’t think picking up my plate and walking 10 steps is a strenuous activity, Steve.” Romy rolled her eyes at him and sat on the sofa with a huff. “Happy now?”

“Very.” With that, he buzzed away once more to the other side of the room.

“So, I didn’t imagine,” Grace mumbled under her breath.

“Huh?” Romy turned to her.

“I said,” Grace speaking clearly now. “I didn’t imagine. I thought I had dreamed you telling me.”

“No dream, sweetheart.”

“May I?” Grace’s hand inched over to Romy’s belly. Romy’s eyes searched Steve’s over the crowd, once Grace’s hand touched her, they knew their gig was up. Officially she was now in her second trimester, the usual time to announce a pregnancy. With everything that had happened, they were cautious though. “We don’t want to jinx anything” Steve and Romy had agreed. Now, with their Ohana present celebrating Good News, why not add some more to it? Steve shrugged with a smile spreading over his face, leaving it up to Romy.

“Sure,” She took Grace’s hand and rested it over her belly. “Nothing quite there to see or feel yet, it’s the size of a lemon right now.”

Before Grace could say anything, Lou popped up behind them. “What is the size of a lemon?”

Grace looked startled at Romy, almost going to apologise when Steve swooped in, settling onto the arm of the sofa next to Romy. “That’s how big our baby is at the moment.” The smile on his face blinding.

“Ba…baby?” Lou blinked owlishly. “Are you…are you telling me you guys…you’re pregnant?”

“Baby McGarrett is currently 13 almost 14 weeks old and the size of a lemon.” Romy declared loudly for all of them to hear.

“What?” “No way!” “Congratulations.” The Ohana shouted almost, before trying to descend onto Romy for a hug and a rub of her belly.

“Whoa…whoa!” Steve stood in front of his wife holding them off. “None of this. Romy still needs to rest for another month, so either we do this in a calm manner or not at all.”

“Steve!” Romy poked her husband in the back and got up herself. “We had a bit of a scare so we need to take it easier for another month, but I’ll take some hugs now.” She grinned cheekily at Steve and had not even a second to prepare herself for the soft hugs from everyone. Lou did not let her go for a good while. “You need anything, girl? You call me. Even if it's to kick this one” he nodded to Steve “arse into gear.”

“If you had told me,” Danny said, after teasing her for buttoning her jeans with a hair tie “I’d have dragged him from Montana way earlier.”

“He needed to be there more than I needed him here.” Romy sniffled, thinking back to the hard first weeks of her pregnancy. “Damn, Stinkstiefel. Making a pregnant woman cry is not fair.” She shoved him off her good-naturedly while using his shirt sleeve to wipe her eyes.

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

“You good, kiddo?” Steve asked after they set off for their final run of Nahele’s spring break.

“Yeah, Dad. It was great to be home, enjoy some proper meals and ironed clothes.” He grinned. “Ready to go back to school now though.”

“That was not what I meant, ‘Hele.” Steve's slight push, made Nahele stumble a bit. “Good to know, that you always have a reason to come home though.” They were silent for a couple of minutes, as their breath synced up with the pounding of their feet. “I meant - you good with Mom being pregnant.”

“Dad,” Nahele groaned. He really did not want to imagine his parents doing anything that led to his Mama being pregnant. “I’m good. I told you ages ago I’d be up for a sibling.”

“That was all hypothetical, now it’s real. How do you feel about being a big brother?”

“Excited. Nervous. Worried.”

“Right there with you, kiddo.” Steve sighed.

“Dad, I read an article for my Biology class. The mortality rate for pregnant women in the US is one of the highest in the developed world. So much can go wrong. Infections, pre-eclampsia, postpartum depression…I don’t want anything to happen to Mom.”

Steve stopped abruptly, “Believe me, I know.”

“Dad, you don’t understand…”

“I do,” Steve swallowed, “Google is a very dangerous place at 1am.” Nahele let out a laugh at his Dad’s admission. “However, as much as I want to wrap your mother in bubble wrap and lock her into the house for the next couple of months. She repeatedly told me and I’m quoting her verbatim. ‘I’m not made out of glass.’”

“Fair enough,” Nahele sighed.

“Come on, kiddo. Race you back and let’s see if your Mom made us pancakes before you fly.”

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

“Oh my god, Aunt Romy!” Grace groaned into the phone. “You need to do something. Dad is driving me crazy.”

“That bad?” Romy giggled, as she picked up her handbag and laptop bag, ready to leave the house for work. “He’s feeding me pancakes and soup.”

“It’s really bad.” Romy agreed and swatted away Steve’s arm who tried to take the laptop bag off of her. “You know what, Grace. How about I sent your Uncle Steve over for some distraction?” Steve’s hand froze right in front of her face.

“You are the best, Aunt Romy!” Grace hung up quickly, the moment another voice could be heard over the phone.

“I found a much better job for you, instead of annoying me.” Romy caught his hand and pressed a kiss to it. “Go bug, Danny.” With that, she shoved him out of the house ahead of her. “I even drive you.”

“Ro…”

“Ah ah ah”, Romy wagged her finger at him. “I’m supposed to keep my blood pressure down, do not argue with me.”

“You are not playing fair,” Steve pouted.

“I’m not allowed to have more than one cup of coffee and no alcohol for the unforeseeable future.” Romy slid behind the wheel. “You owe me.” Her seat belt clicked into place and she manoeuvred the car out of their driveway.

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

“So, where are you currently?” Romy nibbled on some crackers. Luckily the morning sickness had lessened but the nausea was still going strong. Keeping a stash of crackers at the ready helped.

“This tiny village in France, we’re revamping a castle hotel. I mean I don’t speak a word of the language but…Romy….the food…the wine…the French men” Ani groaned and her forehead almost touched the camera on her laptop as she leaned forward.

“You enjoying yourself then?”

“Enjoying myself?” Her friend asked, amusement tinging her tone of voice. “I fucking love it.” Ani looked at her old boss again, eyes squinting a little bit. “But you are not calling me to check in are you?”

“I’m seriously regretting it by now.” Romy teased right back, and then took a deep breath. “Well, actually the reason I’m calling is to see if you would fancy coming back to Honolulu….” she let the end of the sentence trail off.

“Oh, my fucking Goad!” Ani exclaimed. “You are fucking pregnant!”

Romy chuckled and nodded while Ani started screaming excitedly. “You know it is common courtesy to let the pregnant person announce it first.” She poked out her tongue.

“Ah, who cares about common courtesy? I can believe you’re finally pregnant.” Ani hopped up and down in her seat.

“You need to stop bouncing, you making me dizzy,” Romy bit off another piece of cracker. It felt nice though, to have one ‘normal’ pregnancy announcement that didn’t involve hospitals or crying jacks.

Ani grinned sheepishly, “Sorry, so you got the full programme with pregnancy symptoms?”

“It’s getting better, only nausea and smell aversion at the moment. Poor Steve needed to change his coffee in the morning. The smell of butter makes me gag.” Romy leaned back in her chair trying to get more comfortable.

“Whoa!” Ani averted her eyes from the camera. “If you hadn’t told me you were pregnant, now I’d know. Girl how many cup sizes did you go up?”

Romy laughed at that, she had missed Ani’s direct approach. “Too many to be comfortable. Most of my work wardrobe does not fit anymore cause I can’t squeeze these” she motioned to her breasts, “into anything or they start hurting like crazy.”

The two friends giggled for a second, only now Ani noticed that Romy was dressed down compared to her usual office attire. Dressed in a simple black V-neck T-shirt instead of her usual blouses or structured dresses. “What do you think? Ready to come back in 6 months to do my maternity cover?”

“I’d love to.”

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

“Slow down a little bit. Slow down. The GPS says you're right on top of the lab. Stop.” Danny looked up from the GPS System.

Steve slowed the 5-0 boat down to a stop, he wished he was here for a much different reason. A fishing rod and a bottle of beer would be amazing right now, not trying to figure out how to rescue his team from the bottom of the ocean.

“There's the Coast Guard boat,” Danny shouted out, making Steve let out a breath in relief. His relief however was short-lived, Lou called them with very bad news indeed. Junior had gotten a message out via a rescue buoy, they are running out of air fast, they had only 6 minutes' worth of air left.

“What are you doing now, Beautiful Mind, huh?” Danny looked at him as if he was crazy when he started to do the math on the lid of a box.

“I’m doing the math,” he stated the obvious. “We got two dive tanks, they're both 80s, which means we've got 160 cubic feet of trimix, right? Which breaks down to approximately 112 minutes of breathable air. Divide that by the six people that are underneath this, you got a little over 18 minutes each. If they take turns, they should be able to ration the air in these two tanks and make it last when the Coast Guard gets here with more air.” This was if his plan was going to work exactly as it is supposed to.

“That's great, but the tanks are up here, so what I imagine is, you're gonna swim those tanks down there?” He wished Danny would stop looking at him like he was crazy.

“What, you got a better idea?” Steve sassed.

“No,” Danny admitted defeatedly.

“Call the Coast Guard, tell that vessel they need to be here... they got 18 minutes to get here and get more air down to these people.” Steve eyed the tanks trying to figure out how he would get them down to the underwater lab safely.

“Your math is goofy, okay?” Danny could not believe it! Why would he do something so risky? “You got to use some of the air yourself, you got to go down there, you're gonna leave the tank, come back up, what about you? What about your air, huh?”

“Danny, the best chance of survival for these guys is if I free-dive these tanks down, okay?” Steve tried to explain once more. “Now, I got the weight of the tank. It's gonna help get me down there. Ideally, I'd have some kind of guideline, but I don’t”

“Why don't you use the anchor?” Steve looked at him unimpressed, why was Danny sassing him now?

“There's no way the anchor's gonna reach 130 meters, Danny.” He really tried not to sound like a Dad, but Danny sounded too much like a 15-year-old Nahele.

“There's no way you're gonna make 130 meters, either. Let's just be real for a second. You go down there, you're gonna have to hit a little bit of air, you know? Then what? How are you not gonna explode when you come back up? Romy is not going to forgive either of us if you explode. Do you really want to risk the wrath of your wife? Because I don’t!”

“I’m gonna exhale all of it on the ascent.” Steve tried not to let the mention of Romy get to him. She will kill him if she ever found out about this little stunt. “But listen, if I get back to this boat and I look like a potato, you got ten minutes to get me to a hyperbaric chamber, all right?” He pulled out his diving gear. “Do me a favor, drag this over here.” He pointed to the air tanks.

With a deep breath, he jumped into the ocean. He put the diving goggles on and got a better grip on the air tanks

“Steve…” Danny shifted nervously on the boat, unsure what to say.

“Uh-uh. No pep talks.” Steve stopped him right in his tracks. “Besides, you suck at them.”

“Thank you.”

 

Danny paced up and down the short space of the boat. 10 minutes, he had 10 minutes to get Steve to a hyperbaric chamber should anything go south. And when had anything gone after plan in this case so far? The guys were stranded on the bottom of the freaking ocean, running out of air. Steve is on his way down there with no air. What was he going to say to Romy should Steve’s calculations be wrong? He could hear the conversation already, ‘Your husband decided to do one of his stunts and he burst like a piñata or he is now lying in a hospital and has become a potato. Any new ultrasound pictures you want to show me?’

Nope. Nope.

Not happening. Not ever!

He paced back on the boat.

With a tortured sigh he pulled out his cell phone, should something happen to Steve or any of the other guys, Romy deserved a heads up. “Don’t kill me. It was Steve’s idea….”

 

“Steve!” Danny was never happier to see the face of his partner. Hurriedly he threw the rescue ring overboard and pulled Steve back onto the boat. “You okay?”

“Huh?” Steve gasped for air, his lungs burning fiercely trying to cope with all the oxygen.

“Everybody else, they okay?” Danny asked once more.

“Rescue team?” Steve coughed and sat up slowly.

“Oh.” Danny had completely forgotten about them. “They'll be there in ten minutes. It's all good.” Seeing Steve up on the boat and talking to him had relief flooding all through him. “Don't ever, ever do that to me again, please. Now that I know you can hold your breath that long, I don't want to hear you complain when I bring takeout into the car. Okay?”

“Thank you.” Steve grinned at his partner.

 

——xx——xx—— 

 

Steve came home to an incredibly quiet house, he double-checked his watch it was not even 8pm yet. Adam, Junior and Tani were safely in the hospital enjoying the comforts of the decompression chamber. It didn’t matter though, they were healthy, and they got them out just in time. He started his search of Romy and Eddie, they were not in the living room nor on the lanai or the hammock. They also had not gone for a walk, Eddie’s leash was still on its hook next to the door. He found them in their bedroom. Both of them were fast asleep on his and Romy’s bed. Romy on her side, her leg slung over the pregnancy pillow she had ordered the other day. He almost had a heart attack when he saw the charge on the credit card, $190 for a freaking pillow. But when Romy fell asleep for the first time in weeks without wiggling and woke up without complaining about back pain or boob pain, he almost thanked the leaf-printed pillow (https://www.bbhugme.com/products/pregnancy-pillow?variant=). Eddie’s head was also on the pregnancy pillow, as close to Romy as possible. Leaning against the doorframe, he took in the scene before him and couldn’t help but smile. Eddie’s protective streak had doubled if not tripled in the recent weeks, and he could not blame him at all. He wanted to do the exact same thing. Steve fumbled his phone out of his pocket and snapped a quick picture. Loading it up onto Instagram, he took a moment to compose the right caption, before he saved it in his drafts. Posting and announcements on Instagram were Romy’s style, he usually was just happy to be tagged in her posts. This one, however, this one he wanted to own himself, publicly and everything.  

He pushed himself off the door and shed his clothes on the way to the bed. He eased himself against the headboard and watched over Romy and Eddie. 

Romy turned around and patted his hand. She had felt Steve lying down next to her. Grasping it, she pulled softly until he turned from his back to his side and then tugged some more until his body spooned her from behind. His hand settled right underneath her breast. 

“You could have said you wanted a cuddle,” Steve murmured into her hair, the corners of her mouth twitching up when Romy wiggled a bit to get comfortable. “T…tred” she slurred in her half-asleep state of mind. 

“That’s ok, gorgeous. I got you.” Steve’s whole body relaxed when it wrapped itself around his wife. 

“Got you, too” Romy murmured. “Wanna talk about your day?” 

Steve hummed, not answering her question. He was way too comfortable to think back on the day he had. “Hmm?” 

“Your day,” Romy’s voice still addled with sleep. “Danny called saying something about crazy maths and the option of you turning into a potato.” 

After Steve had recounted his day, Romy sat up and Steve buried his head on her lap and belly, their hands meeting in Eddie’s fur. 

“You need to promise me not to do anything stupid like that anymore.” She pulled at Steve’s hair softly. 

“Romy,” Steve groaned. He turned around and looked up at his wife. Romy reciprocated his look with one of her own. 

“I mean it, Steve. “If I need to take it easy, so do you!” 

“Fair enough,” he knew when he had lost an argument. 

Leaning up Steve captured her lips in a very gentle kiss. It was the softest touch of his lips to hers. It felt light, light like the evening air around them. Heat clambered through Romy at the feel of Steve leaning against her. His fingers slid into her hair, and his lips moved over hers, exploring them as he had never kissed her before, but with the confidence of a route well travelled. Romy could hardly breathe, Steve made her whole body tremble and set her heart to flutter. His lips parted and his tongue darted out, touching her own. Steve’s hold on her tightened, bringing her closer to him. Their bodies aligned towards each other as their tongues kept on meeting. They were lost in the sensation of each other. 

“Fuck, gorgeous,” Steve breathed heavily as he broke the kiss for some air. Romy was wiggling against him, she was so turned on now. They hadn’t slept with each other for over 3 months now. “We need to stop.” 

“What?” Romy pushed some hair out of her face. “Why?” She knew she sounded needy, but hell she was. 

“We can’t” Steve groaned disappointed as well, “We got 2 more weeks…doctors orders.” 

“Ugh… second-trimester horniness really hits me at the wrong time,” Romy complained good naturally. 

Steve’s eyebrows raised into his hairline “Second-trimester horniness?” He asked. “Is that a real thing?” 

“Look it up,” Romy reached over to her phone and brought up her pregnancy app. She was still pressing her legs together tightly to gain some sort of release. 

“Where are you going?” Steve asked as Romy wiggled her way off the bed. He was still scrolling through the app. 

“If I can’t get sex, I need some food.” 

——xx——xx—— 

In the kitchen Romy was happily munching on some crisps dipped in Nutella. The shower had been running for a couple of minutes and she needed to keep herself busy to not join Steve. She knew exactly what he was getting up in that shower right now, he had been as turned on as she had been. At least he was able to get some relief, she thought mournfully, she was barred from any sexual activity for another 14 long days. This was killing her, especially when Steve had turned down a blow job earlier on, as he couldn’t reciprocate in kind. Her wonderful, giving husband. He denied her all the fun!

“What are you eating?” Romy jumped, over her musings she had not heard the shower go off or Steve walking down the stairs.

“Crisps and Nutella.” She grinned when she saw Steve’s face. “Don’t knock it till you try it.”

“Nutella is chocolate. You hate chocolate.” Steve took a handful of chips, avoiding the Nutella though.

“It’s hazelnut, I’ll have you know. Commander McGarrett.” Romy sassed back at him, while she dipped her fingering in the glass and popped it in her mouth.

“Where are we on telling the wider part of your family?” Steve asked after a moment of watching his wife in morbid fascination as she continued to eat her snack.

“Why?”

Steve pulled out his phone and showed her his saved Instagram post. A soft smile spread over Romy’s face as she saw the picture and his caption.

“I come from a town with a population roughly the size of Sesame Street. Everyone and their second cousin knew by the time my mother had hung up that phone.” Romy hopped onto the counter, Steve’s phone still in her hand. “I’m sure there’s been a news item on the town's website about us and they’d be delighted for an up-to-date photo.”

She typed on the phone quickly and handed it back to Steve. “Post it, Dad.” She grinned at him and pulled him between her legs. Why did he need to smell so delicious? Her nose buried in the side of his neck, watching him press post on the picture.

 

Romy was always @EddieTheLab favourite. I cannot blame him, and now he’s protecting something very important to us all @ARomyinHawaii @NMcG #babymcgarrett #arrivingsoon

Chapter 61: Where we are

Summary:

Summary: Being pregnant, means adjustments not only for Romy but for Steve as well.
Warnings: Reference to Sex but no Smut
Episode: Season 9 - 14, 15, 16
Pregnancy: Week 15 - 19
Songs: Where we are - The Lumineers 

Notes:

Hello, lovelies,
How are you all?
I don’t even know what to say…I’m so sorry for the long delay. I took a page out of Romy’s book and packed up my life and moved countries. Back home…even if it doesn’t feel like home after 12 years away.
Unfortunately, I am not as organised as Romy and so my life took a little bit more sorting, but I’m getting there. Thank you for your patience and the love you have shown this fic. I can never express how much they mean to me.
Your reviews, comments, follows and kudos make my day - keep them coming!
Enjoy xx 

Chapter Text

——xx——xx—— 

A grin stretched over both Romy and Steve’s faces, as they left the doctor’s office. Their little pear was happy and healthy, and so was Romy. Dr Kekoa had even given them the green light to resume their sex life. Romy had almost pushed Steve into the small broom closet on the way out. Steve grinned as he pulled her out of the office into the elevator. “I’m not breaking our 4 months dry spell in a broom cupboard in your doctor's office.” 
“Spoilsport,” Romy pouted. Steve’s lips tickled over the back of her neck morphing her pout into a giggle. 
“Believe me it’s not that I don’t want to,” he groaned and pressed his growing bulge against Romy’s hip. She arched up against him, her lips brushing over his. “Then take me home, Commander.” 
“Oh, believe me, I will with sirens on,” Steve promised. 
——xx——xx—— 
“I’m going to eat everything on the menu!” Romy announced as she shuffled in the booth. Steve grinned at her, happy to see her so at ease. They had overcome the rift his Montana trip caused and then the complications left them both in a constant state of worry and fear.
“Someone worked up an appetite,” Steve teased with a big smile. Smiling came much easier now that the stone of dread had finally started to lift off his chest. 
“Absolutely,” Romy nosed his cheek. She was still feeling boneless, they had definitely made up for the lost time in the last two hours. She drummed her fingers along the menu, but now she and the Pear were starving. After what felt like an eternity their waitress approached their table. “You guys know what you want?”
“I think it’s easier if I tell you what I don’t want.” Romy folded her hands seriously on the table and began to rattle off her order. 
Romy was just devouring her final Polenta Chip and her mind contemplating the choice of a milkshake or a cheesecake for dessert when Steve’s phone almost vibrated off the table. She threw him a reproachful look when he hastily picked it up. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I had told everyone I’m unreachable today.” 
“Danny’s separation anxiety must be reaching new levels then.” 
“Flippa? Calm down, buddy what is it?” Steve’s jaw clenched and unclenched several times throughout the 30-second phone call. Romy sighed heavily as she fingered for her purse and kissed her dessert goodbye. There would be no cheesecake for her tonight. She sighed as steve slid out of the booth and held out his hand. “Come on gorgeous!” He wiggled his fingers with a knowing grin. “I’ll buy you shaved ice on the way back.” 
Oh, boy did her husband know her. “I want at least three flavours!” She bargained, knowing Steve usually cut her off at two fretting about the sugar content and the baby. 
“Tonight you can have as many flavours as you want.” 
——xx——xx—— 
“Duke.” Steve greeted the HPD sergeant with a pained smile. 
“Commander.”
Steve nodded at the crime scene behind them. “What are we looking at?” 
Romy squeezed his hand and let go of it. She really did not need to be there for that. She did not want to hear what happened from Duke. Her gaze wandered over the police scene, and her heart ached when she saw Flippa sitting dejectedly in the back of an ambulance. 
“Mate,” she sighs and squeezes his shoulder. “I’m so sorry.” 
They sat together, ignoring the hustle and bustle of police lights and paramedics trying to check out Flippa. Romy’s hand stayed on his shoulder until Steve appeared. He pulled his friend into a big hug. 
“Could you give us a minute, please?” He looked up at the paramedic and police officer who stood next to him. He waited for them to leave before he continued. “We're gonna do everything we can to find out who did this, you understand?” 
Flippa nodded and wiped away his tears with the back of his hand. “All I heard was a thud, and a crack when his phone hit the deck.” He swallowed before he let out a choked sob. “I thought he'd flaked on the gig, so I was annoyed. That was the last time I ever talked to him.”
Romy raised her eyes to Steve’s, her lips curled emotionally and he could see the tears well in her eyes. He couldn’t tell if it was purely out of compassion for their friend or if the pear made her hormones go loopy. “Hey, hey. Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey. Don't do that.” He rushed to say addressing both Romy and Flippa, then he turned to his friend. “Don't beat yourself up. Not now, okay? You got it?”
Flippa nodded, and shook his head, almost like he tried to shake off his sadness. “Steve, something ain't right about this, killed over his wheels and an old drum kit?” Flippa grabbed Steve’s hand. “No. Luka would have handed over the keys like that. Dude loved life too much to risk it all over some stuff.”
“All right, listen to me, I promise you, as soon as I know something, you're my first call. All right? In the meantime, I need you to do something for me. I need you to hang in there.” There was a tense moment of silence while Flippa contemplated Steve’s words. 
“Okay.”
“All right.” Steve nodded at Romy, who smiled back. 
“Come on, mate. I’ll drive you home.” She held a hand out to help Flippa up. But he batted it away, heaving himself off the ambulance bumper. “You’re not supposed to lift anything heavy. You’re carrying a Keiki.” 
Romy could practically feel the breath Steve let out behind her and she rolled her eyes at both of them. 
“I’ll see you later.” He quickly pressed his lips to Romy’s cheek. 
Romy nodded against his lips, before pressing a kiss to his mouth. “You owe me shaved ice.” 
Steve grinned at her, leaving it to his wife to make him smile on a bleak evening. 
“I got you.” 

——xx——xx—— 

The penetrant ringing off his alarm clock made Steve groan pathetically. He had only come home at 4am and now two hours later he was supposed to meet them at the airport. One hand reached over to his offending phone and the other curled around Romy. He kissed the back of her neck. Breathing her in. Trying to relax his back, he was getting too old for all-nighters spent bending over their computer table. 
“You leaving early.” Her voice croaked in the silence of their bedroom. 
“Yeah, we got a lead and she’s been flown in this morning.” 
“Her?” Romy turned around and snuggled into his chest. 
“Yeah, we found hair in the van.” His chest rumbled against Romy’s cheek. 
Her hands reached up stroking his face before making their way into his hair. “You gonna get them.”
——xx——xx——
Romy’s You gonna get them stayed with Steve. 
It calmed him when he listened to Annie tell her story. It fuelled him when he met her parents who did not accept their daughter for who she was. 
When they waxed on, how they were just trying to do the best for their daughter. 
“We love our daughter very much. We just hate the sin.” Mrs Kehr stated. 
“There's nothing sinful about the little girl sitting in my office right now. It's a good thing she knows that about herself, too” he felt the anger in him rise as they kept looking at him superior.
“It's not torture, it's healing. Whether you understand this or not, this is spiritual warfare, and we are battling for the soul of our little girl.” Mr Kehr said with conviction. “All she needs is guidance onto a better path to making the right choice.”
“Choice?” Did they really think being gay was a choice? 
“Mr Kehr, I don't know how to break this to you, but Annie's not the one with the wires crossed.”
“Do you have children?” Always that question. He hated that every time children were involved you only got to have an opinion if you had them yourself. 
“Yes, I do.” He saw their faces fall at his response, but they rallied quickly. 
“Then you must understa…” 
“No!” Steve interrupted Mr Kehr. “I don’t understand.” Steve shook his head. He thought of Nahele, the boy…no man, who made them a family, who taught him so much. He thought of the pear, currently growing like a weed, who was responsible for at least 5 of his new grey hairs. “I love them both. Unconditionally for who they are and who they are going to be.” Steve narrowed his eyes at them, hoping it would think in. He was glad when the team called him out of his office, unsure for how long he could keep his tone civil. 
——xx——xx—— 
You gonna get them, kept him going when the case morphed from a dead social worker to a racist terror attack. 
“Take the shot!” Steve shouted at Junior while his hand desperately tried to get a hold of the trigger to the bomb.  
 “I can’t!” Junior shouted. His weapon weaved back and forth in rhythm with Steve and their suspect on the ground. He could shoot Steve if they moved at the last second. He couldn’t take the risk. 
Suddenly two shots were fired. 
“Suspect is down.” Lou’s voice rang over the grass. Steve could feel Connor Russell going slack beneath him as the life drained out of him. “Approach,” Lou shouted and moved closer. 
“Repeat, suspect is down. Request bomb squad and immediate evac.” Junior’s voice slid into the background over his heartbeat. 
“Careful.” Lou’s quiet voice cut right through the mayhem surrounding them. “Careful.” Lou directed Steve’s movements around the dead suspect. “Keep moving! Keep moving!” Finally, his hand clenched around the trigger.
“All right.” His forehead sank to the ground in relief, when he felt nothing react within the trigger. 
“Well, it should only take 'em, I don't know, about 20 minutes to defuse the bomb.” Lou checked the progress of the bomb squad around him “So you can relax.” He grinned at the, what must be a fucking uncomfortable, position that Steve was pretzeled in. “Well, don't relax.” He quickly added as he realised that Steve relaxing meant also a released hold on the trigger. “Look, I've seen you play football, so, uh, don't go all butterfingers on us now.” Lou couldn’t help himself. “I really don’t want to get in trouble with our wives, should I return you as confetti.” He shuddered. “Those two are scary.” 

——xx——xx—— 

Romy stood in front of their full-length mirror in the bedroom. She twisted back and forth, trying to get every angle. She sucked in her belly and let it back out. Was this really happening? Or was she just imagining things?
“What do you think, Eddie?” She turned to their pup, who was currently lounging on his blanket and kept staring at the bowl of mango Romy had standing on the bureau. She shook her head fondly at him. He was no help at all. Eddie’s turning his head, announced Steve way before Romy heard his key in the lock. 
“Romy?” His voice muffled slightly. 
“Come up here now!” 
She couldn’t wait to ask him. Her question was stuck in her throat when she saw his face in the mirror. “What happened to you?” she blurted out. 
Steve sat down heavily on the little armchair next to the mirror. Romy furrowed her brow, something was really bothering him, and he didn’t even notice the massive heap of clothes he sat on top of. 
“We’ll love our kid right?” 
Romy cocked her head, unsure where it came from. What had happened today? She sunk onto her knees in front of her husband. Grasping his folded hands in hers. “It’s our kid,” she said with emphasis. “Of course, we are going to love them.” 
“Gay. Straight. Hating to surf. Wanting to be a circus clown.” 
Romy unwound one of her hands and grasped the back of Steve’s head. “Well, maybe not if circus clown will be the chosen career path.”
Steve could feel and hear the smile against his forehead. “You wanna tell me, what happened today?” 
Did he want to tell her what happened today? That a ‘simple’ murder case, morphed into a domestic terror attack fuelled by a racist behind bars? Did he want to recall how Lou kept his jaw clenched the whole day? Or how he threw Roger Barton over a table in Halawa, being called a big disappointment by this Neo Nazi. Or how the weight of Lou’s watch and shield felt in his hand when his friend got ready to beat Barton up. “Today was a cluster fuck of racism, antisemitism, anti-women and anti-LGBTQ. I just needed to hear you say something positive, something that doesn’t want me to ….” He broke off and snaked his arm around Romy’s body, pulling her close. 
“You want to help me figure out something positive?” She mumbled against his cheek. 
Steve pulled back and looked at her questioningly. With a groan, Romy stood up and turned to her side in front of him. She pulled down her linen trousers and lifted her collared blouse. 
“Help me out here. Is this my normal belly fat or is this a bump?” She pressed her lips together and looked over at Steve. He stared at her for a moment, his eyes flitting from her face to her exposed middle and back. 
Steve got up and stood behind her, both of them looking in the mirror, while his hands folded over Romy’s belly. 
“Is this one of those ‘do I look fat’ questions?” He pressed a kiss right underneath her ear. 
Romy nudged him softly in reprehension. Steve rubbed his hands over her belly and sides gently. Trying to get a feel for the changes in her body. Romy had been upset when her belly had not firmed up when the website said it was gonna happen. Instead, her hips, legs and breasts had gained a few more inches than she was comfortable with. It bothered her so much that she seriously contemplated starting to run with Steve. Something that he put the stop to the moment the sentence left her mouth. She was not running anywhere during the pregnancy. 
“I think you got yourself a bump,” he spread his fingers so that the tips touched her belly. 
“I still can’t believe that there’s a baby in there.” Romy intertwined her fingers with his. 
“Me neither, gorgeous.” Steve turned her around and kissed her thoroughly. 
“I think that deserves some Shaved Ice?” He asked once oxygen became absolutely necessary and they broke apart. 
“I think so too, and you promised me several flavours.” 

Steve recounted his day on the drive to Kamekona’s shaved ice place. He was so deep in his thoughts, that he didn’t notice when Romy got a text and when she turned left instead of going right. He blinked when she parked the truck in front of an old school neighbour's bar. 
“Romy, what…?” He was confused. 
“Renee texted,” she squeezed his knee. 
“Your friend needs you, and you need your friend.” She pressed a kiss to his cheek. “We wait for you at home.” She patted her belly and nodded to Eddie who lounged in the backseat. 

——xx——xx—— 

The next evening the whole 5-0 O’hana met up at the park for Luka Palakiko’s memorial service. 
The team greeted them with hugs while Romy tried very hard to protect three flavoured Shaved Ice Steve had finally bought her. 
“Girl, you popped!” Lou exclaimed with a big jovial grin on his face. Romy had handed over her shave ice to Steve to be able to embrace Renee and her blouse pulled tight while giving her friend a huge hug. 
“Lou!” His wife exclaimed and stabbed his tummy with her elbow. “Never ever comment on a woman’s weight, especially a pregnant one.”
“I ain’t commenting on Romy’s weight. I’m just delighted that my niece or nephew keeps growing and we can finally see that.”
“Thank you, Lou.” Romy hugged her friend tightly. “I’m really glad to.” 
 “Commander McGarrett?” A quiet voice appeared next to them. 
Steve turned around and smiled when he saw Annie. She looked better than the lost girl who sat in his office two days ago. 
“Hey, Annie.” He nodded to Romy, who disentangled herself from Lou’s arms and stood next to him. “This is my wife Romy.”
Romy smiled at the young girl, who had dominated their conversations for the past 24 hours. “How are you doing?” Steve asked.
“I just wanted to say thank you.” She clasped her hands in front of her. “For everything. My parents signed the papers.” 
“That's great news.” Steve quickly wrapped an arm around her and pulled Annie to him. 
Romy squeezed her arm with a big smile. “Congratulations.” 
“They may never change, but...” Annie shrugged with a small smile “…now my life will. So thank you.”
Steve turned around slightly, gesturing to his whole team behind him. “It's our pleasure.”
“Your baby is really lucky,” Annie said bashfully. 
“What?” Steve asked, “Why?” 
“To have a Dad like you.” The girl looked from Steve to Romy with a smile. “My father told me what you said to them earlier. I just wish he could have …” Annie trailed off and swallowed hard. 
“I…I…” Steve wasn’t sure what to say. To him, he did not say anything special. Their baby and Nahele were lucky to have Romy. She knew what to do and how to parent. He just hoped that he wasn’t messing them up.  
Romy’s fingers threading through his brought him back. 
“We’re incredibly lucky to have him.” Romy smiled up at him and made Steve chocked up again. Her face was full of love, trust and adoration.
The music stopped playing, interrupting their little moment. 
“Well, that's my cue.” Annie excused herself. 
Steve patted her shoulder, “You better get up there.” 
They watched Annie making her way to the front and up on the stage. 
“Okay. Don't cry, Annie.” They heard her mumble to herself as she made her way through the crowds to the stage. 
Steve wound his arms around her, their folded hands resting on Romy’s small bump. 
Annie’s voice rang around them. “Look to your left. Now look to your right. I guarantee in both directions you're seeing people who are here today because of what Luka did for them. Now I want us to do something for him. If you knew Luka in any way and he touched your life, I want you to take out your phone...” Romy let go of his hand and pulled out her phone from her handbag. “...and turn on the flashlight and hold it up like this. Higher.” Steve took it from her and held it over their heads. “I want him to see us down here and see us saying, ‘Thank you, and we love you.’” 

——xx——xx—— 

“I cannot believe you made me come here!” Romy huffed as she sat down on Steve’s sofa. “This fucking sofa is still the most uncomfortable thing.” She grumbled as she tried to punch the pillows she brought into form. 
“Romy!” Steve sighed exasperatedly. “This is not a little storm! This is a hurricane.” He rolled his eyes when he saw her mouthing along with him. A pregnant Romy turned into a teenager when not getting her way. In moments like this, he prayed that their cucumber was going to be a boy. “Our house and the hotel are in the storm path. You are staying here and you are staying put.” He crossed his arms the same moment Romy crossed hers. “And no…you cannot hang out with Jerry in the basement and no you cannot go and find Pua.” 
He needed to hold in a chuckle, Romy’s arms crossed over her 18-week baby bump and her bottom lip jutted out in a pout. 
“You’re taking all the fun of being stuck here away.” 
“I’m sorry,” Steve sat down next to her and kissed her pout away. His arm slung around her shoulder and he pulled her into his side. “What can I do to make this more bearable?” 
Romy turned in his arms, her chin resting against his arm. He knew he was in trouble when her eyes got big and the bottom lip came out again. “Hawaiian sweet rolls. The baby and I fancy sweet rolls.” 
Steve groaned as he shifted, “Let me see what I can dig up in the cafe.” 
“You are a prince among men, Schnuffi.” Romy teased and patted him on the shoulder to get him moving. 

She had finally gotten comfortable, devoured her sweet rolls, and entertained Steve with all the things their cucumber was doing this week - his mind was still blown that the bump was making fingerprints this week and that they would feel it move soon. Romy needed to swat his hands away, to stop him from trying to find a kick. “Believe me, I will let you know when that kid starts to jump on my bladder.” 
Only her diaphragm breathing exercises stopped her from laughing out loud when Tani and Junior accused each other of being the worse driver. After 5 years she should have known, that the moment she got comfortable shit would hit the fan. 
And the shit was this time one of the Worlds Most Wanted drug dealers Alejandro Vega. The DEA and FBI had finally caught him and due to the storm, the only facility to hold him was the Palace. Steve had almost a conniption on the phone, they were currently not only housing his wife and unborn child, but also numerous civilians who sheltered from the storm in the palace. 
And because when it rains it pours, someone within the Palace walls was trying to kill Vega and had already shot one of the sheriffs. This was why Romy found herself with the direction of not leaving Lou’s sight, while Steve strapped her in a bulletproof vest before he donned one on himself. 

Jerry, Lou and herself tried to work on the deputy, with the help of Jerry’s first aid kit and WebMD. Haku got worse with every second, and they could not manage to stem the blood from his stab wound. “Keep your focus on me,” Lou tried to distract Huka from the pain. “I got something for you to focus on: that son of a bitch that did this to you.” He squeezed the man’s head, watching as the young man in front of them struggled to breathe, “…did you see him? Did you get a good look at him?” 
“Yeah?” Romy asked, Huka had not uttered a word but she could swear his head moved in her lap. 
“Come on, son.” Lou encouraged. “Hang in there, kid.” 
“You can do this, Huka,” Romy chimed in. 
Huka sputtered a bit, trying to force the words out. “Five ten.”
Lou nodded, concentrating with Jerry to press onto the bleeder. 
Which left Romy to coax more details out of Huka. “You're doing good. Good.” 
“A-A slight build. A b-blue windbreaker.” 
“Blue windbreaker, okay. You're doing... all right. You're doing good.” Romy had started to thread her fingers through his hair, trying to keep him calm. 
Suddenly Jerry’s head jerked up, “Did this guy wear glasses?” Huka nodded softly. “Holy crap, I think I saw him.” 
“Jerry, we got to get a description of this guy to McGarrett right now, before this guy drops another body.” Lou looked up and the eyes of the three of them met. 
“I can go?” Romy suggested. 
“No way.” Jerry shook his head vehemently. “He’d take away my badge.” 
“And rat me out to Renee,” Lou added. “You, Fraulein are staying put.” 
“You know Fraulein isn’t used in the german language anymore,” Romy said trying to distract both of them. 
“What?” 
“No German Frauleins anymore?” Lou almost sounded disappointed.
“Nope.” She shook her head. “Discriminatory against unmarried women. Why should they be singled out and unmarried men aren’t?” 
“Sweetheart, don’t think I don’t know what you are trying to do,” Lou pinned her down with a stare. “You got a husband, my boss and brother, plus you are pregnant. You are staying put, Mrs McGarrett.” Lou nodded at Jerry to leave. Luckily, he had picked up on it quickly and scurried out of the basement they were hiding in. 
“I’m not an invalid, you know.” Romy could not help herself and say. 
“No…nope.” Lou shook his head. “Not having that conversation with you. It’s just going to end with me being in the doghouse with my wife and my boss. Nope, not doing it.” 

Romy was exhausted, a bone-deep exhaustion settled in her body. The sun had finally started to rise, the storm had passed and Romy was ready to sleep for the next two days. 
Alejandro Vega was transported out of the palace into a cell from which he hoped would never be able to escape, but his final capture had come at a cost of 3 FBI Agents and the discovery of an FBI mole. The only good thing was that the Hula would make a full recovery. 
“You wanna explain to me again how much safer the palace was today, Schnuffi?” Romy intertwined his fingers with him, as they watched the ambulance drive Huka to the nearest hospital. 
Steve let out a big breath and his head fell forward so much, that his chin almost touched his chest. “I…I…” 
“We need to talk about this, Steve.” Romy felt bad for bringing it up, but she needed to say it. “You cannot wrap me into bubble wrap and then jump head first into a dangerous situation. There were several moments today when I did not know if you were alive. We’re having a baby.” Their foreheads rested against each other now. “I never made any demands on how you conduct your work, so hear me out. You have a dangerous job, and I know that and I know what possibilities that brings. But just for the next couple of months, I’d really like to worry a bit less. So if you can step back from certain situations and let the other take the lead…” She swallowed hard, she had promised herself she would not cry. 
“Hey” Steve cradled Romy’s face in his hands, his thumbs stroking her cheeks. “Hey. It’s ok. If you need me to take a step back. I will.” He needed to suppress a smile at Romy’s sceptical look. “I promise. I’ll speak to the guys. I take a step back.” 
“Thank you,” Romy whispered. A huge stone lifted off her chest with Steve’s easy acceptance of her request. Steve pulled Romy in his arms, she was warm and soft, her bump settling against him. He had always loved how she felt in his arms, even in the very beginning when they could not yet accept what they were to each other. He had never experienced trust like this, until Romy melted the first into his arms, how she let go because she knew he would catch her and vice versa. When he was with her he was able to just be, not have to think and second guess his every move. She had always noticed when he put up a front, had seen right through him from the start. She had only ever wanted him, not Commander McGarrett, not a hot shot Navy SEAL. Romy had only ever wanted Steve. 
So, he could give her this without hesitation. 

——xx——xx—— 

Steve turned to Romy, who mirrored his facial expression. What was Rachel doing at Danny’s? 
“What are you, uh, what are you doing here?” Danny asked, bordering on impolite with his tone. “What are we doing here?” Romy turned to Steve as she repeated Danny’s question. “We just wanted to come and check on you guys, say hey.” 
“Also, I want to make sure there was no, you know, disasters” Steve added, “…last night, natural or otherwise.” 
Danny rolled his eyes at the two of them and waved them. The goodbye from Rachel was awkward enough to confirm Romy’s and Steve’s suspicion that something did happen last night. “Was it that awkward all night, or…?” Steve could not help himself and asked. 
Romy could practically see Danny’s hackles rise. “No, it was fine, 'cause we're adults. Okay?” 
“Want to talk about it?” She tried to defuse the situation that was building between the two friends. 
“No, I don't want to talk about it.” Danny shook his head empathically. “I don't want to talk about it.” Steve was about to say something but Danny cut him off. “I mean, certainly not if you're gonna give your stupid opinions.” That made Steve’s mouth snap shut audibly. “You want to be quiet, I'll tell you what happened.”
“You know what would help with that? Hmm?” Steve grinned and Romy was groaning inside. This was going to end badly. “If I was eating. So, see, if I'm eating, there's food in my mouth, I can't really talk, right?” 
“Oh, oh, so I got to, I got to bribe you to keep quiet?” 
“I don't call it a bribe. I call it pancakes.” 
Danny knew when he was beaten. “Fine.” 
“With bananas,” Steve added, his smile growing. “And some chocolate chips.”
“What are you, five?” Danny asked as he stalked into the kitchen. 
“Ugh!” Romy gagged. 
“You ok?” Steve’s hand went straight away to the small of her back. 
“Here smell this.” She pushed the offending item underneath his nose, making him recoil as well. 
“What do you call this?” Romy set down the can of deodorant next to Danny, who poured pancake batter into a sizzling pan. 
“It’s a deodorant, Romy,” Danny stated the obvious. “I used to wear it when I met Rachel.” 
“And she still married you?” Romy couldn’t help but ask and hopped up on the counter next to him with the help of Steve. 
“Please do not tell me you guys ‘bonded’ last night over old deodorant.” Steve piled on the teasing. 
“Keep this up and there won’t be pancakes.” Danny threatened with the spatula. 
“Are you really going to withhold food from a pregnant woman?” Romy’s eyes were big and pleading, her hand patting her small bump to draw attention to it.  
“Ugh!” Danny groaned. “You can be so glad your wife is pregnant, Neanderthal.” He kicked out at Steve, shaking his head in the process. Romy and Steve shared a grin and she even managed to press a sweet kiss onto her husband's lips. 
“Stop that PDA this instant or no pancakes.” Danny slapped the back of Steve’s head. 
“Get flippin’, Danny!” 

——xx——xx—— 

Steve embraced Adam when his friend opened the door to his new flat and let him in. He quickly scanned the room, so far only the team had arrived. “Is Romy here yet?” 
“Nah, not yet.” Adam handed him a beer. “She texted earlier and said she was leaving work right now.” 
Good, that was good, that would guarantee him at least another 20 minutes. “Ok. I got a talk to you all before she gets here.” He rubbed his hand on his trousers, why was he nervous all of a sudden. They would understand. They were family. 
“Is everything ok, brother?” Now Adam eyed him curiously. 
“Yeah,” Steve nodded and then raised his voice, “Guys, can you…can you listen up for a second?” 
A chorus of yeahs sounded around him, with Danny asking “What’s up, babe?” 
“You might have noticed that I took a step back during the case this week.” Tani and Junior nodded, while Danny and Lou shared a grin. “This had a specific reason and it’s…it’s…” He looked in the open and questioning faces of his team, of his family, of his Ohana. “Romy and I had a talk after the hurricane, after Vega and we both decided it would be better if I take a step back.”
“A step back…” Junior inched forward a bit. “What does that mean?” 
“Nothing bad, only that I’m handing the reigns over with active duty things for a little bit. Neither of you,” he looked at Tani, Junior and Adam, “are green anymore. Romy needs me to be out of the imminent range of getting shot for the remainder of her pregnancy,” he held his breath a little bit, letting the information sink in, “and I agree with her. It’s time for me to take a step ba,ck and concentrate on keeping Romy’s blood pressure and stress levels down.” 
The room was silent, but he saw recognition and understanding in Danny and Lou’s faces. They both remembered Romy’s day in the hospital too well. 
“We got you.” Danny was the first to speak. “We got you and Romy.” 
“The young ones will step up, and we will support you both.” Lou chewed on his cigar thoughtfully. “You are doing the right thing for your wife, man.” 
“Thanks!” Steve embraced them in a hug. “You guys have no idea what this means.” 
“We’re Ohana,” Adam joined the group hug as the last one. “We got your back.” 
“What is going on here?” 
The heads of the 5-O team shot up at the sound of Romy’s voice behind them. She almost got toppled over by Kamekona and Flippa, who had arrived at the same time she did. 
“What does it look like, Romy,” Danny’s head popped up from the sea of arms. “It’s called a group hug. Come on, join in.” 
With a laugh, Romy dropped her handbag at the door and wiggled her way into the hug. She could feel them all making space, being careful not to squish her and the bump. Their thoughtfulness brought tears to her eyes. She felt Steve’s arms wrapping around her, his lips right next to her ear. “I love you, gorgeous.”