Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warnings:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 2 of Berry's Long MK/DC Books , Part 1 of Understand You
Collections:
Our Little Detective
Stats:
Published:
2019-12-15
Completed:
2021-12-17
Words:
112,937
Chapters:
110/110
Comments:
21
Kudos:
300
Bookmarks:
37
Hits:
9,885

To Understand You

Summary:

[Pre-Written] Who would have known that one poison was all it took to learn who Kaitou Kid was? Certainly not Ginzo.

How the hell was this young child Kaitou Kid?! He was smaller than he was, even after getting himself shrunk!

It's just- A child! All alone in barely liveable living conditions... Ginzo can't just leave the boy, even if the freakishly smart yet horribly damaged child wasn't the one working on the cure.

So while Kaito helps Ginzo with the cure, maybe Ginzo can get the boy to love himself enough to stop doing stupid things that hurt him.

... Maybe getting shrunk wasn't all that bad...

Parental!GinzoXKaito ~ Fatherly Ginzo
No romance between them

All chapters excluding prologue and (A/N) are 1K+ Words long

Updated Fridays except for the last Friday of each month

Notes:

This story is approximately 20 Chappys behind than on wattpad~ On wattpad it's updated every Saturday except for the last one of each month~

Chapter 1: Prologue

Chapter Text

"After that damn thief!" Ginzo growled as Kaitou Kid stood mockingly still in the doorway of the gem exhibit. A palm sized emerald twinkling between the thief's gloved fingers. The sneaky bastard had swooped down and snatched the gem right out from under their noses. They hadn't even noticed that it was gone until they'd heard that horribly familiar mocking laugh behind them.

 At his word, the Kaitou Kid task force moved as a unit, chasing after the elusive thief. Ginzo cursed when that tauntingly white cape flickered around a corner.


Ginzo let out a weary sigh as he leaned against the brick wall of the museum's outer wall, partially shadowed within the alley. Kid had escaped again. They'd never even had a fucking chance against the bastard! The idiotic owner had restricted the task force from the majority of the museum, a fact that Kid had easily capitalised on. To make matters worse, the damn thief had obviously been going easy on them, further damaging their pride.

He clenched his fists, hitting the wall with the sides of his right fist. It was a good way to vent his frustrations without damaging his knuckles. He closed his eyes, letting out a frustrated breath as he sagged against the building. The task force was going to be made even more of a mockery within the police force at this rate. It wasn't their fault! He didn't think anybody was trained enough to deal with the likes as Kid. He and his task force weren't idiots, the thief was just too damn smart! He made everyone look stupid when compared to him.

The sound of shuffling footsteps made him turn around.


Ginzo convulsed, searing pain shooting through almost every nerve in his body. His vision blurred from the pain. "Keibu!" That voice sounded familiar, though the tone was odd.

Chapter 2: Chapter 1

Chapter Text

A pained moan escaped from Ginzo's lips, why did everything hurt so much? He shifted in his bed, grimacing at the unfamiliar scent of the sheets. Wait, how did he even get back home? The last thing he remembered was, he wasn't really sure "Thank god you're awake" An unfamiliar voice breathed. The owner of it sounded weary.

Ginzo's eyes suddenly snapped open in realisation, he wasn't in his own bed. He was in someone else's bed. He glanced around warily, spotting nothing that seemed to be threatening. Instead he spotted a young teen with shockingly indigo eyes and unruly brown hair. The boy looked like he was no older than 7 or 8 years old at most. He was also pale and startlingly thin, he could almost make out the other's bones on his small frame. Ginzo frowned, had this child been kidnapped and him taken as well due to being mistaken as a witness? He sat up in bed, noting how the sheets were threadbare "Do you know where this place is?" He asked, pausing when he realised that his voice sounded off.

The boy visibly grimaced at the question "Yes, it's where I live" He replied, glancing away as if he didn't really want to meet Ginzo's gaze. Ginzo scowled as he took a better look at his surroundings, they were clean, but the room's structure itself was in a state of disrepair. Everything within the room looked old and worn.

"Where are your parents?" He asked, not approving on how this child was living. Indigos darkened as the boy suddenly looked uncomfortable

"My situation isn't really important at the moment Keibu" The boy replied evenly "I'd think that your current situation is a more pressing matter than my own" He finished. Ginzo raised a brow. This kid was weird.

Ginzo frowned, not really understanding what this weird kid meant. The boy let out a sigh and shook his head, reaching over to the side of the bed and pulling out a medium mirror. Ginzo's jaw dropped in shock when he saw his reflection "What the fuck!?" He looked like a fucking 7 year old! What the hell happened to him? Kid couldn't do something like this, no matter how magical he tried to make himself look.

He looked at the boy, he'd dropped the mirror in favour of covering both ears with his hands "Who are you?" He asked, was this boy not actually a boy?

The boy opened his mouth slightly before closing it, a few moments after that he replied "I'll tell you who I am after I lay out the severity of your situation to you" The boy breathed, Ginzo went to refute but the boy silenced him with his gaze. The boy took a breath "You were mistakenly thought to have seen something that you shouldn't have..."  The boy trailed off for a moment "So the dangerous syndicate decided to poison you with an experimental poison" The boy shivered, a haunted look momentarily shadowing his face "Thankfully it failed" He'd been so terrified as he'd been forced to watch Ginzo scream and writhe in pain. He never wanted to experience something like that ever again. Ginzo opened his mouth to respond but the brunette held up a hand to silence him. He met Ginzo's gaze. "They think that you're dead' He paused "And you have to stay dead in order to stop the syndicate from murdering everyone associated with you" He finished.

Ginzo swallowed, not really wanting to believe the strange boy's words. Yet for some reason he did "Poisons can't make people shrink into children" He argued, knowing that his words were weak. He was now apparently a 7 year old after all.

Indigos flashed sympathetically as the boy gave him a weak smile "I wouldn't have believed it myself if I hadn't seen you shrink" He replied, not really wanting to think about how the other's bones had stretched almost through his skin at one point. Thankfully Ginzo's bones had begun to shrink as well before it had come to that.

Ginzo's fists clenched the sheets before his eyes suddenly widened in panic "Aoko!" He breathed, dread lacing his voice "I can't just leave her all alone" His wife had died years ago and he had no siblings to care for his daughter.

The boy put a comforting hand onto Ginzo's shoulder "Aoko will be fine" He smiled "I've edited your will so that she'll be put into the care of a very close friend of mine"

Ginzo blinked, jaw dropping slightly "You edited my will!?" He growled, appalled that the boy had done that. It didn't even register to him as weird that a child had done so.

The boy held up both hands in a placating manner "I only edited enough to put you daughter into the care of my friend. He's able to protect her if it gets out that you're still alive" The anger in Ginzo's glare seemed to cool a bit at his words "And to make sure all of your assets are able to be switched back into your ownership once everything gets settled" He added, neglecting to mention that he had absolutely no idea on how to go about fixing this mess. He was already having trouble dealing with his own mess, now he had the inspector's mess to deal with on top of that.

The inspector turned child gave the other a suspicious look over. A lot of things in this situation didn't really make a lot of sense to him. The boy gave a somewhat sheepish smile in return "Who are you?" He asked, this boy seemed to know too much for him to be some random passerby. He was either somehow already involved with this apparent syndicate, or he was like him, a shrunken victim. His eyes narrowed "There's no way in hell that you're a normal child" He breathed.

The boy gave an all too familiar grin "Of course I'm not normal" Ginzo's eyes widened, he knew that smug voice!

Chapter 3: Chapter 2: Denial

Chapter Text

"Kid!" Ginzo gasped, eyes wide with shock. He quickly lunged at Kid, grabbing at his face and tugging it. The thief made no move to escape, instead silently wincing as he allowed Ginzo to tug at his cheeks. After a few moments of tugging, Ginzo sat back in awe. Kid wasn't wearing a mask. "That's..." His voice trailed off, he was sort of in a state of mild shock. He'd never thought that he'd actually see Kid's unmasked face, even if the thief was de-aged like himself.

Kid gave Ginzo a wry smile "Yes" He let out a soft chuckle "This is actually my real face" He rolled his eyes when Ginzo visibly perked up "But I'm probably not as old as you probably think I am" He teased.

The shrunken inspector blinked "You're at least older than me at least" He mused, after all, if Kid was only turned into a child older than him, when he himself became 7, the other had to be older. He was brought out of his musing by a small giggle.

He was met with the sight of amusement filled indigos "This is actually how I really look" A wide Kid grin spread across his face "The Tokyo police have been continuously bested by a thirteen year old" Kid snickered, he always thought it amusing whenever he stopped to think about it.

"Impossible!" He hissed, he'd been chasing Kid for over 13 years! This Kid looked no older than 10 if he was really pushing it, there was no way that this was his real age. Sure there was that 2 year hiatus five years ago, but that was because that heist had been dangerous and Kid had gotten severely injured after taking a bullet for him. He'd returned after that two year recovery though "You've become younger just like I have" Ginzo scoffed. He wasn't going to believe Kid's silly tales.

Kid gave him a pitying glance before turning his gaze towards the ground "It's the truth" He sighed "The first Kid died taking a bullet for you" His voice went oddly soft "I'm the Kaitou Kid that you've been chasing for the last three years" He breathed, doing his best to keep his voice steady. It still hurt to think about it.

The inspector's breath caught in his throat, it couldn't be true. Kid was just messing with him, the thief just loved to do that. There was no way that the first had actually died, only to be replaced by the second two years later. There was just absolutely no fucking way that the bastard had actually died! It didn't matter that he'd seen the guy coughing and choking up blood before disappearing into the night. That guy was alive right in front of him. That has to be the case. He glanced at the small frame of the supposed second Kid, the boy was much too young to be moonlighting as a phantom thief. Hell, he wasn't even big enough to fit into Kid's famous attire. "You're too young for this to be your real age" Ginzo breathed, feeling solace that he'd easily seen through another one of Kid's tricks.

Kid nodded, his lips set in a thin line. His features suddenly void of all amusement as he leaned over and pulled out a false arm, it was frighteningly realistic. Ginzo watched in awe as the other stuck the arm over his own, the adult limb moved seamlessly, as if it was real. Kid met his gaze "I'm a master of disguise, it's not that hard to place adult limbs over my own and use makeup to touch up the rest of me" He stated as he removed the arm, placing it back beside the bedside.

Ginzo shook his head in denial, he wouldn't accept Kid's words as truth, he just couldn't. If he did, then he'd have to accept the fact that the first Kid had gone out and died on him. That he'd never even noticed that his rival had apparently been replaced without him ever noticing. "Please just stop this joke" Ginzo pleaded, feeling half sick "It's not funny anymore" It hadn't even been funny in the first place, but that was beside the point.

Kid gave the inspector a sad smile, feeling bad for hurting him. He could easily understand the pain of losing someone he cared about, it'd already happened too much for him "I'm really telling the truth Keibu" Kid whispered, mouth sightly dry "That night we both lost someone important to us" He breathed "For you it was a rival, for me..." His voice trailed off, he silently cursed himself for looking weak "For me, I lost a father" He admitted.

When he'd brought Ginzo back to his own home, he'd decided to be truthful with the other. Ginzo couldn't go around spreading his secrets without getting the both of them plus others killed. By the time that it's actually safe for the inspector to spread his knowledge of Kid's identity, the crows would have already been beaten. He wasn't afraid to pay for his crimes, laws existed for a reason. So if laying things out to Ginzo damned his own future he didn't care, it'd be worth it if it made the other easier to work with. It wasn't like he really had a life in the first place and the thought of his future was just plain silly with how things were. His dad had liked Ginzo, and even he himself had grown to admire the inspector. If anyone deserved to turn Kid in, it was him.

Ginzo looked at him in horror, his face suddenly paling a few shades "You're not lying..." He choked, finally admitting to himself that despite how much of an annoying bastard the guy could be, he would never play such a messed up joke. The first Kid had died for him, and his son had taken up the mantel. He was sitting in front of a child who'd lost their father because he hadn't been on the lookout for snipers. Hell, this Kid had also taken a bullet for him a few months ago. He swallowed, he'd almost caused the death of both Kids.

Chapter 4: Chapter 3 The Offer

Chapter Text

Kid gave him a solemn nod "I'm not" He agreed, seeing no point in messing with Ginzo, it wasn't really the time. It was bad enough that the poor inspector wasn't able to return to his normal, everyday life.

Ginzo sighed, suddenly feeling tired. He wasn't used to so much shit happening all at once. He met the other's gaze "What should I do now?" He inquired, ignoring the fact that he was asking a child for advice. That didn't really matter, Kid as much as he hated to admit it, was better at making plans that he was. A plan sounded like a good starting point, he didn't really know what else he was supposed to do otherwise.

Kid pursed his lips, giving Ginzo an appraising look. The inspector didn't really have many plausible options "I've already thought of an idea while waiting for you to regain consciousness" He paused, a little unsure on how Ginzo would react "You don't really have that many options right?" At Ginzo's reluctant nod he continued "Well, how opposed to the idea of you staying with me are you?" Kid offered, ready to shield his ears if need be.

The inspector froze. Stay with Kid? Was the thief serious? The main goal of his job is to catch the thief, so why would said thief invite Ginzo it stay with him? The very idea was absurd at the very least. Ginzo's gaze narrowed "Why are you offering me the choice to stay with you?" He asked. It really made no sense on the thief's part. Though when did anything easily make sense when Kid was involved?

The thief smirked, having expected Ginzo to be sceptical of his offer. He didn't blame the guy, his motives were often a bit odd. He gaze a small shrug "I figured that it'd be nice to work with someone who shares the same enemy as me" He breathed. Not to mention that it'd be nice to have someone to talk to as himself. It'd been too long since he'd had that kind of opportunity. Indigos gleamed "Plus it'd be dangerous for others to know your real identity" His voice took on a faintly teasing tone "You really wouldn't want to stay with someone who treated you like a real seven year old would you?" He finished. Most adults didn't really take children too seriously, Kid knew this because that happened whenever he wasn't disguised.

Ginzo grimaced at that prospect, he'd probably end up being snatched up by child services. Children couldn't really live properly without the help of an adult, multiple laws have made sure of this. He'd be trapped by an orphanage or a future family, forced to grow up all over again. His shoulders slumped, he didn't really see a better option than to accept Kid's offer "I'll eventually arrest you" He breathed, it didn't seem fair for him to not give Kid any sort of warning.

Kid nodded, he'd anticipated this outcome "I won't run" He stated, knowing full well that what he was doing, despite not harming anybody, was wrong. He was a criminal, and Ginzo was a police inspector. He wouldn't blame Ginzo for doing his job.

The inspector's eyes widened as he went silent for a few moments "Why won't you run?" Running was what Kid did best, besides his magic of course. It was absurd.

"I won't run because by the time you'll be able to arrest me" He smiled "My job will be done" There was no need for Kid once the Crows were gone, Kid was just the means to an end. Hopefully that end was one involving the Crows defeat instead of his own death. He'd even be fine if it was both, as long as those Crows went with him.

Ginzo frowned at his words "What job is that?" He'd actually forgotten that he was talking with an actual child for a moment. Surely no child's goals would be great enough to warrant him dodging bullets while dressed in clothes that easily marked him as a target. Nothing says 'Shoot me!' better than a shiny white target at night.

Indigos hardened with determination "To take down the people who poisoned you" He stated "They didn't just kill my dad" He paused "They've killed millions of people throughout the time of their existence" He didn't want anybody else to be hurt because of them. Whenever they killed one person, they hurt the ones who were left behind as well. He clenched his fists "I don't really care what happens to me, all I want is for them to go down" He finished, his voice a few octaves away from being a growl. It was the Crows fault that he didn't have a life. It was also their fault that he'd probably never even have one as well.

A small chill ran down the inspector's spine, he'd never heard Kid sound so hateful before. Then his words registered "You can't really mean that" He breathed, wasn't the boy too young to disregard his own future? Aoko was the same age and she was all happy. Every child may be different but still, he couldn't imagine Aoko being like that. "You're too young to take on a criminal syndicate" He almost told Kid that the police could have helped but he thought better of it. A syndicate meant that there were probably people who've infiltrated the police. Depending on how far their reach was, going to the police was a potential death sentence. As much as Ginzo hated to admit it, 'Dirty' cops did actually exist.

"I do" Kid breathed "The syndicate, often referred to as 'Crows' took everything from me" The only thing left for them to take really was his life, and he'd fight tooth and nail to stop that from happening. He wouldn't go down without a fight.

The inspector grimaced at the response, though he doubted that he'd be able to change Kid's mind anytime soon. Instead he figured that he might as well ask a question that he'd been dying to know the answer to "What should I call you?" He asked.

Chapter 5: Chapter 4 His Name

Chapter Text

Indigos narrowed in thought, he wasn't really sure what to tell Ginzo. It wouldn't make any sense for him to give the inspector a false name, but at the same time, he wasn't really sure what his actual real name was. He had a good guess, but that was it, a guess "I guess you could call me Kaito?" His tone made it sound more like a question than an answer.

Ginzo raised a brow, the boy seemed to be unsure. Was he really going to give him a false name after he already revealed his face?! It didn't make any sense "Are you seriously giving me a false name?" He drawled, a fake name contradicted Kid's earlier claims.

Kid quickly shook his head in denial "No, I'm pretty sure that's my real name" It wasn't his fault his parents had been so paranoid.

"Pretty sure?" Ginzo scoffed, quickly growing tired of this nonsense "It's either your name or not your name" He retorted, what was this guy playing at?

Kid wrung his hands together nervously, indigos directed towards the floor "I understand your frustration, but that's the best I've got" He let his hands settle into his lap "I was never actually told my real name... Or if I've ever been told, I've forgotten it" He breathed "My parents were paranoid and were constantly insisting that we were to continuously change what we call each other..." His voice trailed off as he met Ginzo's gaze "I think that my name is Kaito, it's the name they called me the most" He grimaced "And it matched their odd sense of humour" He finished.

Ginzo stared at Kaito blankly, he couldn't believe that the kid wasn't even sure what his real name was. How did he even go to school like that? Surely whatever name he used for school had to be his real one "What about your birth registration?"

Kaito shook his head, a wry smile playing on his lips "My parents were too paranoid to register me" He gave a small shrug "I technically don't even exist" He replied. "I don't even know my family name, or even my parent's given names" He finished, not bothering to mention that he hadn't even known what they'd even looked like until they'd died. He'd carefully pulled off their disguises before burying them, not wanting to waste his last chance to know what his parents looked like.

The inspector's mouth went dry, just how dangerous was this syndicate if it made Kaito's parents that paranoid. Better yet, how the hell did Kaito even get by in like without any form of identification? False identification would have been just as dangerous because it would have been as good as real to him. Fake often became real if there was no real to begin with "How did you even get into school?" He asked, schools didn't just let random children attend. They had to be registered.

Indigos blinked in confusion, that was the first thing Ginzo says in response? "I've never been to school before" He admitted "I learn everything I need to from books and people watching" He didn't really exist so he couldn't go up to others as himself to start a conversation. He would have loved to go to school and mingle with others his age but he couldn't, so he just didn't think about it that much.

The inspector grit his teeth, what the hell? School wasn't just to teach people textbook information, it was to also help young children to learn how to interact with others, or at the very least expose them to socialisation "So you just read books and watch people?" He asked, both confused and a little concerned "Couldn't you have at least made a new school identity and switched schools every year?" Surely doing something like that would have been simple for him to do.

Kaito pursed his lip "Technically I could have easily done that, but I didn't really want to" At Ginzo's sceptical look he continued "I didn't want to be fake" He breathed "Any relationship I started would have had to be destroyed as soon as I took on my next identity" He paused "I didn't want that. If I'm ever to build a relationship with anybody, I want to do it as myself" A relationship wasn't worth anything if it was built on a foundation of lies. It just didn't feel right to him.

"How many people know you as Kaito?" He asked, Kaito tilted his head in thought "Only you actually, the others know Kid. But don't worry, my acquaintance is trustworthy. The only reason they don't know the real me is to protect them" Kaito gave a small smile, as if the information he'd just given wasn't horrible. He suddenly perked up "Ah! The rest of the task force may not know my real name, but I've actually been the most truthful with you guys"

"You're telling me, that you were the most honest with the people trying to catch you?" Ginzo asked incredulously.

The boy nodded "Yeah, I may have hid my identity, but I never really lied to you guys" He grinned "I just deflected the questions and hid the truth" Ginzo sighed, he couldn't really argue with that logic, Kid had never really outright lied to them. The only problems that'd aroused were when they'd received cryptic answers. That was one of the reasons why he'd actually sat down to talk to the thief rather than attempt to drag him to the nearest police station. Kid's word was almost always trustworthy in his books. It didn't matter that he was a thief, he was the most truthful thief he'd ever met. It was actually kind of sad how he'd always trusted Kid more than some of the other officers in other divisions.

Ginzo ran a hand through his hair "Dammit!" He growled, annoyed that Kaito was right. He really didn't like it. Why did things have to be so complicated whenever Kid was involved? Why couldn't things have been simple for once?

Chapter 6: Chapter 5 Inspection

Notes:

Written September 11 2019
Posted on Wattpad October 9 2019
Posted here January 10 2020

Chapter Text

Kaito frowned sympathetically "Why don't you think about it while I go find something for us to eat" He stated as he hopped down from the bed. He figured that leaving the other alone for a bit would help him sort out his thoughts. He paused, glancing back at Ginzo "Just please don't leave here, at least not until I've come back" He really wasn't in the mood to track down the other.

At the mention of food, Ginzo felt his stomach churn in hunger, when was the last time he'd eaten again? It had at least been a few hours since then "I don't really have anywhere else to go" He huffed.

The boy smiled "Hopefully the sedatives I gave you will have left your system by then" He breathed. At Ginzo's affronted look he explained "The poison was causing you a lot of pain" He shrugged "I figured that you'd rather wake up with minimal pain" That and he'd figured that a sedated inspector would be easier to deal with. He wasn't planning to sedate him again, he'd gotten his main points across to the other. It would have been kinda hard to explain himself if Ginzo had kept interrupting him.

A small growl made it's way into the back of Ginzo's throat "I won't leave" His gaze narrowed "Don't sedate me again" Kaito held his hands up in defense.

"Deal" He replied before vanishing.

Once Kaito had left, Ginzo slipped out of the bed, intent on investigating Kaito's living space more thoroughly. It wasn't everyday he could safely inspect the living area of an international criminal. Those inspections were usually more tense and nerve wracking. Kid was one of the few international criminals that wouldn't attempt to assault him on sight. Sleeping gas didn't really count as assault in his books, because then assault charges would have been added to Kid's file. That would make the thief sound more dangerous than he actually was.

He walked over towards a word cabinet, the white paint was visibly peeling and the wood underneath didn't seem to be faring any better. He carefully pulled on the handle, grateful that it was metal instead of wood. Splinters could be a bitch to deal with, though rusted metal didn't really seem to be much better. Maybe that was why Kaito had been wearing gloves during their talk, this place was a wreck. He blinked when the insides revealed a large first aid kit, it was bigger than the standard ones back at the station. He grimaced at the smeared blood stains littering the outside of it, as if Kaito had initially attempted to keep the outside clean, but had eventually given up. Maybe Kaito only closed the case once his injuries were safely covered? He wasn't sure, but he doubted that the other wasn't aware of proper medical procedures.

He closed the drawer and pulled out the one beneath it to reveal a sealed medical kid, this one much bigger than the first. He closed the drawer and opened the bottom one only to reveal that it's contents were the same as the middle drawer. He frowned, first aid kits of this grade weren't given to just anyone, these ones often held a few restricted substances. His eyes narrowed when he read the expiration date, the kit was expired. Some medicines still worked past their date to a certain extent, they just lost some of their potency depending on the time and medicine. He doubted that Kaito would actually steal good medicine from hospitals, he wasn't a proper thief after all. That, and he'd never steal something that could help others, it went against his MO. In reality, Kaito probably snatched them after they'd been signed off to be disposed off.

He frowned, there wasn't really anything else within the room besides the cabinet and bed. He stepped out of the room into a sketchy looking hallway, he hadn't noticed before, but the room's light source had been sunlight. With no windows, the hallway was cloaked in darkness. Shit, did Kaito seriously live here?! No wonder he was so good at creeping around in the dark. He tried to flick on the light switch, only for nothing to happen. He huffed, having expected that would be the case. He could see somewhat thanks to the light from the previous room, and the sight of the boarded up doors was a little concerning. Surely Kaito would have removed the boards if he'd wanted to. So maybe those rooms were boarded up for a reason? He wouldn't have been too surprised if it was because those rooms were structurally unsafe.

He made his way down the hallway until he was met with some stairs, he eyed them warily before making his way down them. They seemed solid enough due to them being made of concrete. The lack of a railing didn't really concern him that much, he could see the marks that indicated there'd once been a railing. It was better to have no railing, than to have an unstable one. Unstable railings just gave a false sense of security.

At the bottom of the stairs he was met with a clean, but cracked tile floor. He now understood why Kaito hadn't taken his shoes off. This room too seemed to have no electricity at all, and the places where kitchen appliances were supposed to be were empty except for a giant stack of reusable water bottles. All of them were filled to the brim with water. Shit, was there no running water here? He looked out a window to see that the building was surrounded by trees and the sound of flowing water faintly reached his ears.

This all had to be a small joke, Kaito had taken him here first just in case he'd tried to betray Kaito. There was actually no way that someone could actually live here. Plus there was only one bed, where was Kaito's mother supposed to sleep when she came back from wherever she was? It was a smart move taking him to a dummy house, he had to give Kaito that at least.

Chapter 7: Chapter 6 Realization

Notes:

Written September 12 2019
Posted on Wattpad September 16 2019
Posted here January 10 2020

Chapter Text

Seeing nothing else of significant interest to him for the moment, Ginzo decided to head outside to inspect the exterior of the building. He couldn't really place his current location besides some place in the woods, though which woods, he wasn't sure. He'd never really cared much to know the locations of most of the woodlands within Tokyo. Though he did know that they certainty weren't in the Edoka district anymore, he was at least familiar with the woods in that area. Many thieves had run into those woods in an attempt to evade capture, and he was pretty sure that a sketchy building would have been the first place that said thieves would have headed to.

The outside of the building was interesting to say the least, it was much larger than it had initially seemed to be. Though Ginzo also had to take into account that most of the rooms had been boarded up. The building was an old one, he could easily tell at first glance that it had to be at least over 100 years old mainly because of the building materials that'd been used to build it. The sunken wood looked like it had maybe once been painted a nice shade of grey, though Ginzo wasn't positive on that. As he circled the building he couldn't help but notice that the only real exit besides the shabbily partially boarded and clear windows was the door that he'd exited from. That was a major building violation even if he disregarded its state of disrepair. Ginzo had a small smile on his lips, proud that studying building structures had paid off. It was a useful skill to have since Kid liked to replace things often, especially walls.

Eventually, after wondering how the hell the building was still standing, Ginzo just decided that either Kaito or his Mother had reinforced the building without making that fact obvious. He nodded, that seemed like a good way to deter others from inhabiting their dummy house "So you didn't leave" Ginzo couldn't help but jump at the unexpected voice, he hadn't heard anything approach him.

"Shit!" The inspector cursed, whirling around to see Kaito standing idly "A brown plastic bag nestled in his arms. Kaito snickered as he held out the bag in offering, which Ginzo accepted. Though not without a little suspicion. "Can you not sneak up on me?" He scowled, being snuck up on while one thought that they were alone in the woods is not fun. It also often didn't turn out well.

Kaito blinked, tilting his head slightly to the side in thought before a small smile tugged at his lips "Sorry" He amended, now looking a little sheepish "It's kind of a habit" Ginzo scoffed at that, of course he'd have weird habits. "But I'll try my best to not sneak up on you by accident" He promised, inwardly smirking. There was no way he was going to stop sneaking up on Ginzo completely. Sneaking up on people was fun.

Ginzo gave him a sceptical look before glancing down at the bag in his hands "That house is fucking creepy by the way" He muttered as he pulled out a loaf of bread, a very small block of cheese, and a few ham cold-cuts. His eyes narrowed at the oddness of the items "Wouldn't it have been easier to just buy some sandwiches?" He inquired, having not expected the boy to use the healthier route.

Indigos widened, Kaito looked somewhat appalled "Do you know how expensive pre-made sandwiches are?" He inquired, feeling a little disappointed despite the fact that he should have really expected the question. When he received a confused look in response Kaito shook his head, letting out a small sigh "It's cheaper to buy the ingredients than to buy a sandwich" He scolded, both hands on his hips. He waved towards the sketchy building "By both my appearance, and my house not give away the fact that I'm tight on money?" He stated, having thought Ginzo was smarter than that. Ginzo was lucky enough that Kaito had gotten him fresh food rather than what he normally ate. He'd figured that the guy had needed a serious break and got the good stuff.

The inspector gaped, looking back at the house than at Kaito, the boy was borderline dangerously thin. Horror dawned upon him, his face paled a few shades. What would Kaito look like if he didn't have any muscle meat on him? The boy was too young for his muscles to be too visibly developed, but he knew the boy had to have a good amount of muscle. He was Kid after all. "That isn't just some dummy house?" He choked out, how the hell did the guy get all his fancy tools then? The props he'd seen Kid use couldn't be that cheap.

A good amount of Kaito's ire faded at Ginzo's words. The other's self drawn conclusion wasn't really that bad, though it was still wrong. Kaito let out a breath "No, all money I find or earn usually goes towards heists" His goal was more important to him than living in comfort, that and he didn't really enjoy his money 'job' that much. He paused "Though I'm thinking of going on a little hiatus until we get everything sorted out with you" He finished.

Ginzo grimaced, the Kaitou Kid was living in a crumbling building that didn't even have running water. He blinked suddenly concerned "How will we bathe if there's no running water?" Surely Kaito had to have some way to bathe, he'd never really seemed dirty at heists.

A wide Kid grin spread across Kaito's face "There's a steady stream not far from here" He snickered at Ginzo's shocked look "Don't worry, I do have proper hygiene items, and hopefully things will be sorted before winter"

"Wouldn't we get sick in the winter?" Ginzo inquired, a little fearful.

"Nah, you eventually adjust to it" Kaito smirked "And for other bathroom needs..." His voice trailed off ominously for dramatic effect "We are in a forest" He finished.

Chapter 8: Chapter 7 Decision

Notes:

Written September 12 2019
Posted on Wattpad October 17 2019
Posted here January 17 2020

Chapter Text

"You can't be serious!" Ginzo hissed, appalled at the thought of actually living in that sketchy house, it probably didn't have any heating for fucks sake! He'd freeze to death before the winter even ended.

Kaito turned away so that his back was facing the other, a small frown on his lips "I could always send you to another one of my acquaintances, not the same one who is caring for your daughter though" It would be too risky for Ginzo to stay with his daughter. When the inspector got going, his rage was one of a kind "I'd just check in and visit once in a while to take some blood samples for testing" He offered, a little disappointing. He'd be lying if he said that he hadn't been a little excited to have some company, but it wasn't like he could force Ginzo to stay against his will. The guy's life had basically been stolen from him, he didn't want to take away what little freedom the guy had "I'd tell them that you're like me, a really smart kid and that should be taken seriously" He finished.

Ginzo lit up as he opened his mouth to respond. A sudden thought crossed through his mind "Why aren't you and your mother staying with any of your acquaintances?" Surely that would have made Kaito's life a lot easier.

The boy shrugged "I'd be putting anyone I hang around too much with in a lot of danger" He glanced back, flashing Ginzo a grin "The only reason I actually let you come here is because I couldn't possibly put you in anymore danger than you're already in" His gaze darkened momentarily "Mom learned that the hard way and died to protect her friend" She'd gotten too close and had gotten tracked down as a result. People who openly go about without proper identification and legal papers eventually garnered suspicion. Thankfully his mom had managed to make sure her friend's family stayed safe as well before her death. Kaito didn't want to go through that so he just lived like a ghost.

The inspector's mouth went dry. Kaito had been living like this all alone?! He'd thought that he at least had his mother to help care for him. What if he'd gotten sick while in that house? Children got sick a lot, he knew this because of Aoko. Nobody would have been aware of his death if he'd gotten a fever and became too weak to get help, especially in the winter "You're really all alone?" He inquired, maybe there was an uncle or aunt the boy could rely on.

"Yup, mom died a few months before dad" Kaito replied, making sure his voice betrayed no emotion. Ginzo grit his teeth, Kaito may be Kid, but he was also a child. A child shouldn't have to live in fear like this. He wasn't stupid, all of Kaito's actions were based on fear in order to not get caught. Hell, he wanted to catch Kid and put him in jail, but he really couldn't catch him if he'd gone and died somewhere.

He frowned in thought, Kaito could have easily dropped him off at this acquaintance's place and explained everything from there. So why did Kaito reveal so much to him and bring him here instead. He could have just lived alone like before. Ginzo's thought process paused as he took note of Kaito's stance. The other was facing away from him, as if he didn't want to give away his thoughts on the matter. Did Kaito actually want him to stay with him? He was living all alone after all, and he was also just a child despite his many talents "Kaito" Ginzo paused, a little unsure on how he should phrase his thoughts "Did you bring me here because I was the first person who could safely come into contact with you?" Because you were lonely? It wouldn't have been odd for the other to have snatched onto the first chance of companionship he got. He'd always imagined Kid to be a very social person.

Kaito momentarily tensed before forcibly making his stance relax "Yeah, sorry about that" He gave a bright grin, his eyes not matching the smile "I'll go and see what I can do regarding my acquaintance" He breathed, giving off a relaxed air.

Fuck! He'd been right. Guilt tugged at Ginzo for having not noticed that the other had been lonely. No wonder Kid had often randomly shown up at the station to pull pranks so often. Pranking the task force was a safe way to interact with others. His visits were never on any sort of schedule so it'd be hard to ambush the guy "Actually, I've changed my mind" The inspector inwardly sighed at his words. Goodbye toilets and warm showers. A child in distress was more important than his comfort. He couldn't even imagine, and would never want Aoko to be forced live how Kaito was out of fear "I figured that it'd be good character growth for me to live like this" He paused "Maybe it'll help me appreciate things a bit more once everything's settled" He finished. He couldn't really drag Kaito to a better living space, the boy was unfortunately taller and stronger than him right now. At best he'd just annoy Kaito with any attempts, at worst Kaito could just disappear into a possibly worse abode.

Kaito spun around to face him with a bright smile "Okay, I bought you some extra clothes for you while I was out, they're on your bed" He was actually going to have someone to talk to! It'd been so long since he could do that as himself!

The inspector frowned "Isn't that bed yours?" He didn't see any other beds in the house.

"Yeah, but I'm more used to living with less comfort" He shrugged "You can have the bed until I finish making one for you"

"If you can make beds, why haven't you already made yourself a better one?" He scolded, the boy's priorities were seriously skewered.

Chapter 9: Chapter 8 Food Talk

Notes:

Written September 12 2019
Posted on Wattpad October 24 2019
Posted here January 24 2020

Chapter Text

Kaito sheepishly scratched his cheek, knowing that his answer wouldn't really impress the other "I never really had a good reason to make myself a better bed" He paused "I already had a bed so it never really registered as a priority" He flashed a grin, but since I doubt that you'll take the better bed once I'm done making it, I'll probably have to make two of them won't I?" He inquired, almost completely sure that he already knew the answer. Ginzo was a guest so he'd have to make sure that the other slept decently. It'd also give him less incentive to leave.

Ginzo scoffed "You're damn right!" He growled, there was no way that he'd take the best bed when it could be used by a child instead. He then looked at the food from the bag "Why'd you give me all of the food?" There was enough in there for at least two meals before they ran out of fillings for the bread.

Kaito blinked in surprise before a small smile creased his lips "Don't worry I've already eaten" He smirked "That's both your lunch and supper so don't eat it all at once" Ginzo frowned, why would Kaito have already eaten before him? It didn't seem like the kind of thing he'd do, though on that he wasn't really sure "Then what about your supper?" He argued, he was already planning to somehow get the boy to eat more. He obviously wasn't eating enough if his bones were easily visible.

"I'll find some vegetation or something in the forest" He grimaced "I don't really have much money left" Clothes were expensive, even the used ones had drained his funds quite quickly since he'd needed to get Ginzo a proper wardrobe. He'd also bought nice food for Ginzo, another blow to his scarce funds.

The inspector grit his teeth "Did you actually eat?" He asked, a little fearful that Kaito had forgone food for him. A bleeding heart was one characteristic he knew Kaito had, it'd shown through Kid's actions more than enough times for him to figure it out.

"Yeah, don't worry I already ate my fill" Kaito replied honestly, though he had snatched abandoned meals from mall tables and a few things from the garbage in said mall that weren't too gross looking. They were emptied at least once a day, so if he was lucky he could occasionally score something nice. It'd been a compromise of his, he'd have more Kid funds if he ate other people's discarded food. He couldn't skip meals, that would hinder both his thought process and his physical abilities. Kid always needed to be in top form at his heists. He didn't do that often, but Ginzo's unexpected arrival had thrown his meal plans out the window.

Ginzo gave Kaito a scrutinising look, he wasn't really sure whether he should believe him or not "Then what did you eat?"

"I ate other's discarded food scraps" Kaito replied, not really ashamed by his actions. He used to be, but now he just rationalised to himself that it was for the greater good. He was getting enough nutrients to get by. He held up a hand to hold off the unexpected outburst "Don't yell at me for telling the truth, or I'll just end up not being truthful regarding my eating habits" He'd never really liked being yelled at. Though it's fine when he's Kid, he usually deserves it when he's Kid after all. 

The inspector met Kaito's gaze for a few moments before sighing. Kaito was right, he could have easily lied to him "I really don't like that" He gritted out "But I don't really have a say do I?" He huffed, annoyed that he'd been given good food while Kaito had eaten someone else's scraps. He was supposed to be the adult here right?

Indigos narrowed "Don't worry, you only got nice food today because you've suddenly been thrown in a sucky position" He snickered "I can't afford to feed us for the next day or so, so we'll both be eating leftovers tomorrow' He gave Ginzo a reassuring pat on the head "Don't worry, I know how to get the good stuff. It's not nearly as bad as you're probably imagining it to be" He made a cross over his heart "Thief's honour" He promised.

His response was a leer "How much is a thief's honour even worth?" Ginzo drawled, opening the bread bag. He knew that to Kaito, it probably meant a lot, but he was feeling a little spiteful at the moment. Kid had done a lot in the past to make sure his honour wasn't tainted in a way the thief didn't approve of.

Kaito made a false pained sound in the back of his throat "You know very well that this thief's honour is not to be trifled with!" He huffed, not really offended in the least. He'd quickly grown a thick skin in regard to insults being thrown at him once he'd taken up the mantle. Ginzo wasn't exactly kind when in the heat of the moment, he'd learned so many new words from the man these past few years.

Ginzo nodded, finishing up the sandwich he's put together during their conversation "Why didn't you buy enough meat and cheese for the rest of the bread?" He inquired, surely it would have made more sense in the long run.

"We can't do things like that until the winter, the food spoils too soon otherwise" He grimaced "I made that mistake early on" Indigos gleamed "Though by then, I'm hoping that your situation is sorted out" He really didn't want the inspector to have to live through that, especially since he was physically younger than himself.

"And what are you expecting your situation to be like by then?" He inquired, genuinely curious.

The thief pursed his lips "By then the syndicate would be defeated..." His voice trailed off as he thought for a moment "So that means I'd have either died and taken the syndicate down with me, or I'll be in jail if I somehow survive" Kaito finished.

Chapter 10: Chapter 9 Thoughts

Notes:

Written September 14 2019
Posted on Wattpad October 27 2019
Posted here January 31 2020

Chapter Text

If he somehow survived? That didn't really sit well with the inspector. Kaito's words made it seem like the boy didn't even care about whether he died or not. The person behind Kid wasn't supposed to have a dull outlook on life, not with how energetic he could be at heists. More importantly, children shouldn't have such a dull outlook either "You really don't have any other plans for your life besides those two options?" Ginzo grit out.

"Not really" Kaito smiled "Didn't I sort of promise to you that I wasn't going to run?" He breathed, Kaito wasn't a fool. He knew that once he was in police custody, the higher ups would use his capture for their own personal gain. There was almost no chance of him being let go because he was just a child. He was nearing the age group where kid's have actually been arrested before due to special circumstances. If Kaitou Kid wasn't special, Kaito didn't know what was. He was technically an international jewel thief, so he could possibly be bargained off to a different country. He just hoped it wasn't Russia or some other country he'd heard scary stories of. So with his future already chosen for him, he didn't really have any other dreams besides his goal.

The inspector grimaced "What if you weren't arrested?" He inquired, at Kaito's confused look he shrugged "I'm just curious about the kind of person you are" He easily replied, it was technically the truth.

The boy let out a thoughtful hum "Then I'd like to go to school and do other kid things" He'd always felt at least a little bit envious whenever he spotted someone heading towards a school. He didn't really understand why he often herd people complain about it, he'd have happily taken their place if he could.

"Just school?" Ginzo asked "Nothing further than that?" It was an interesting answer, especially since he'd been expecting an answer along the lines of 'becoming a famous magician' or something.

Weary indigos met Ginzo's gaze "I think that's a high enough ambition for now, especially since it's impossible" He flashed a bright smile, not wanting the thought to bring him down "I checked up on your daughter"

Ginzo perked up at the mention of his daughter "Is she doing okay?!" He asked, leaning a bit into the other's personal space. He couldn't help it, Aoko was the only gift from his wife he had left, and he loved Aoko to bits.

"She's as well as can be expected considering the circumstances" He replied, eyes darkening "She is under the impression that her father has died, leaving her an orphan after all" Kaito finished, sympathy flooding through him. He could easily connect with Aoko on that part, but at least her father could eventually return to her. Kaito's couldn't. He counted her lucky in at least that aspect. Ginzo sagged at the thought that his daughter was probably crying her eyes out for him. Indigos gleamed "You better not think about telling her that you're actually alive" Kaito's voice was edged with warning "Tears spent are more preferable to blood being spent" Kaito breathed "And blood is exactly what will be spent if you approach her in any way" He reminded him.

Ginzo clenched his fists "She's my daughter" He grit out. His little girl was probably miserable, and he couldn't do anything to help her. He felt like he was failing as a parent. Why the hell didn't he think about her feelings sooner?!

Kaito knelt down a bit to clasp Ginzo's shoulder reassuringly "Trust me, in the long run she'd be more happy if you eventually returned alive and well" Indigos gleamed "Speaking from experience, she'd just be happy that you're alive rather than dead" He breathed. So many times he'd wished that his parents hadn't actually died, that they'd instead left him to go into hiding. He'd hoped, despite the fact that he'd been the one to bury their bodies. It was one of his stupidly irrational dreams that he just couldn't seem to disperse.

The inspector's eyes cleared a bit when he'd met the other's gaze. He'd momentarily forgotten that Kaito had been in the same situation as his daughter at one point. The only difference was that Kaito had been younger and was a real orphan. "I'll take your word for it" He replied, Kaito was wise despite his age, and had experience on the subject. He wasn't opposed to taking good advice from those younger than him, good advice was good advice.

"I promise to do my best in order to allow your daughter to have her father back" Kaito vowed, broken families were one of the things he hated most.

Ginzo felt a little reassured from that. Kid always did his absolute best to keep to his word. "So how will I get back to my original body?" He inquired, he guessed that Kaito had some sort of secret lab somewhere. A lot of Kid's tools were complex chemical smoke bombs, harmless, of course.

"I know a good amount of biochemistry" At Ginzo's raised brow he explained "I needed to make sure none of my tricks harmed you guys so I ran the chemical formulas across the DNA of the entire task force" He waved a hand at Ginzo's shocked look, DNA was long and tedious to read. "I already have your original sequence memorised, you're chromosomes too" He flashed a grin "I just need to create a substance that will replicate you're old biological code, and maybe even lengthen some of your telomeres while I'm at it" He shrugged "I don't have a sample of the original poison, but having you're original biological code should help in picking  out the changes and secluding them" He finished.

Ginzo coughed into his hand awkwardly "I'm not really sure that I understand all of what you just said" He paused "But the conclusion is that you have an idea of where to start?" He was a cop, not a chemist.

Kaito snickered "That's about it" He replied.

Chapter 11: Chapter 10 Water Buckets

Notes:

Written September 14 2019
Posted on Wattpad October 31 2019
Posted here January 31 2020

Chapter Text

Ginzo rubbed his arm gingerly, making sure not to disrupt the bandage covering where his blood had been drawn from. Kaito had taken two vials of blood from him before vanishing off to wherever he planned to study it. It was a little disappointing that he hadn't been able to accompany the boy, but he hadn't fought to go. He'd heard stories about biochemistry being a nightmare and figured that he'd be of more use out of Kaito's way. Thankfully before Kaito had left he'd asked Ginzo to collect water from the nearby stream. He'd shown Ginzo about 30 buckets, all consisting of different sizes and makes before pointing in the direction of the stream.

The inspector had no problem with the request, glad to have something to do other than standing around idly. It had also been nice that Kaito had asked him instead of ordered him, despite the power the other technically held over him. Ginzo picked up one of the buckets and headed off in the direction of the river, only taking one at first because he didn't know the exact distance he'd have to travel. Carrying weight became more difficult the farther one went. He'd rather take more trips than tire himself out.

When he reached the river, he couldn't help but pause and look at it for a few moments. He could easily spot the ideal location for him to fill up the bucket from, it was a smooth stoned riverbank roughly a few meters wide. Ideal for bare feet. The sun was also shining at just the right angle to bathe the steady current in its shining light.

He carefully made his way down to the water's edge and dipped the bucket in, surprised by the clarity of the water as it filled into it. Shouldn't a river have more things within it? Maybe Kaito did something a little upstream from here to filter the water. He wouldn't have put it past him. That, or he was being silly and the river was just naturally that clear, he wasn't sure. He might ask if he remembered to.

Ginzo spent the rest of the day going back and forth between the river and the house, lugging around the water heavy buckets had been quite the challenge. By the time he had finished, the sun had left it's peak and was now setting.

"You really got a lot done" Kaito whistled, slightly impressed. He hadn't been able to fill all of them when he was actually Ginzo's current physical age.

Ginzo tiredly glanced over at Kaito from his position slumped against a sturdy oak. He was grateful that he'd heard the other's footsteps "I hadn't expected it to be so draining" He breathed, his limbs were beginning to ache from the strain.

Kaito made a sympathetic sound in the back of his throat as he pulled out a green handkerchief, dipped it in a bucket, and wrung it out over the bucket before offering it to Ginzo "I hope you took one of the water bottles to stay hydrated" He stated as Ginzo accepted the rag, placing it around his neck to cool off.

Ginzo nodded "I figured that those bottles were filled with drinking water" Otherwise Kaito would have probably warned him off of drinking them. He usually thought about the small stuff like that.

"Yeah" Kaito flashed a grateful smile "Thanks, that really saved me some time" He replied as he brought out a metal pot from seemingly nowhere "I like to really stay on top of the water supply, and with an extra person, there needs to be more clean water in reserve" He replied as he poured some of the contents of one of the buckets into the pot. Ginzo nodded, that made sense, especially if Kid got an unexpected injury during one of his heists that limited his movement.

"So you're going to boil all of the water?" That seemed like it would take a lot of time, no wonder Kaito was grateful.

"Yup" Kaito affirmed, indigos gleaming "Trust me, parasites are not fun to deal with" He snickered, not wanting to share on his horrible experiences in the past. Some things were better left unsaid.

Ginzo grimaced, he'd heard stories of other's misery "So I've heard" he stated.

Indigos scanned over the other in contemplation "Why don't you go and bathe in the river to wash off your sweat" He suggested, noting that Ginzo had sweat through his clothes. At Ginzo's unimpressed look he smiled "It'll make you feel better, just make sure you get back by sundown. You're not used to these woods yet" He finished.

He contemplated whether or not he wanted to get up or not for a few moments before nodding in agreement. He felt really gross, and it was summer. He'd feel worse throughout the night from the lack of air conditioning. "Sure" He replied as he went into the house to fetch a clean pair of clothes to change into afterwards.

When he exited, Kaito handed him a fresh bar of soap in a ziplock bag, shampoo, and a cloth "Please don't lose the soap, I have more but it's a pain to buy" He teased before sending Ginzo out on his way.

Ginzo nodded before heading off, the situation suddenly feeling so surreal. It had only been just yesterday where he could have a warm shower before eating a nice warm meal with Aoko. Now he was on his way to bathe in a river with soap and shampoo gifted to him by Kaitou Kid, who in reality was just a lonely orphan living in fear as he hid behind that trademark grin.

He let out a tired sigh as he slipped out of his clothes and into the water. He highly doubted anyone would spot him if Kaito apparently frequented this stream quite often. The water was nice and cool, just shy of being too cold for him. As he lathered the soap, he couldn't help but wonder how the next days will play out.

Chapter 12: Chapter 11 Shocking Confession

Notes:

Written September 14 2019
Posted on Wattpad October 31 2019
Posted here January 31 2020

Chapter Text

When Ginzo returned from the river, feeling surprisingly refreshed he spotted Kaito crouched down in front of the pot. The pot was held over a fire by  a metal grate, he also spotted a few newly refilled water bottles beside the boy "Isn't it going to take hours to boil all of that water?" He stated, looking up at the sky, it was starting to get truly dark.

"I'm more of a night owl" Kaito smirked "I'm normally asleep during the day" He replied. It made heists easier and if he slept throughout day, then he didn't see as many people to be jealous of. He didn't like feeling jealous but sometimes he just couldn't help but envy the 'normal' people he always saw. They had a life, Kaito didn't.

"You should fix your sleeping schedule" Ginzo huffed, not approving in the least. Kids were brought inside at night for a reason. It was more dangerous at night.

Kaito blinked "It's not like I have anything to do during the day, so why would I change it?" He frowned, crossing his arms "I can't move around as freely during the day as well" He didn't like risking being spotted and remembered by someone. An unaccounted for child would raise questions and his disguise supplies weren't endless. They were expensive.

The inspector sat down near the fire "Couldn't you have faked partial amnesia or something? You could have easily joined society by being adopted by someone" Surely a random kid being found wouldn't spark the syndicate's radar? Ginzo was pretty sure that the syndicate had to at least think Kid was an adult, so a random child should be safe.

Kaito shook his head "Then I'd be trapped into a normal life and I wouldn't be able to be Kid anymore" He needed Kid, it was the only thing he dared to take from his old life before coming here. Without it, he'd lose his last connection to his parents. He'd already burned everything else to cover their tracks.

"Why are you acting as Kid?" Ginzo asked, he'd always wondered. It obviously wasn't for fame or riches. Plus Kaito could probably live a normal life if he just gave up Kid.

Kaito pursed his lips "Would you believe me if it started out as revenge?" He breathed "At first I wanted to get back at them, to hurt them for taking away my parents" Kaito stated softly. He'd been in too much pain then to really think things through, all he'd been really thinking about at the time was his hurt.

"That changed though" Ginzo breathed, a little shocked. He'd never would have imagined that an ugly thing such as revenge had once been behind Kid's act. Kaito really had an impressive poker face when it was required of him "Your actions don't seem like those of someone out for revenge" Kid wouldn't have tried to save nightmare if he'd been nothing but a vengeful phantom.

"Yeah" He breathed "Eventually the pain softened and I switched my motives" Indigos burned but Kaito refused to let his tears fall. He had to be stronger than that "I don't want them to take away anybody else's parents" Losing a parent was painful, he wanted to do his best to prevent others from feeling that pain "I will not stop until I die, or bring them down" Kaito finished.

"You helped me because of Aoko" Ginzo breathed, he'd almost been one of those deaths the other had alluded to. No wonder Kid had been so protective of him in the past, Aoko was the same age as him.

"No, not really" Kaito murmured, turning his head away "I helped you because you were in danger" His voice lowered "And because you're my favourite" The last bit was almost inaudible to Ginzo, but he'd managed to hear it. Kaito's ears burned in embarrassment, he really admired Ginzo and the other was sort of like his idol. Not that he'd really admit it.

Ginzo scoffed "I swore at and insulted you all the time!" There was no way he was Kaito's favourite.

"That's only because you were frustrated!" Kaito forcibly pushed away his embarrassment, a little shocked to know that Ginzo didn't think he liked him that much "Your passion and enthusiasm to do your job is a really admirable trait!" Kaito argued "And you're trustworthy enough to return priceless gems back to their owner without even thinking about keeping one and blaming me!" He wrung his hands together, avoiding eye contact "You also have unconditional faith in my character. There's no way that you're not my favourite" He finished. It had warmed Kaito's heart the first time Ginzo had tried to protect him from being accused as a murderer. The inspector hadn't even doubted him for a second!

Ginzo gaped in shock at the outright confession of admiration. Sure the other had protected his job, but he'd never thought that Kaitou Kid of all people admired him. Hell, people often made fun of him and called his job a joke. But to think that Kid of all people admired him was quite humbling "You really think that?" He asked, a little awed. It wasn't everyday an international criminal declared their admiration for him. Usually the criminals were cursing him out.

Kaito silently nodded, suddenly seeming to be more focused on the boiling water than before. Ginzo smirked, Kaito really was an odd little kid, getting all embarrassed. Usually people got embarrassed about those kind of things once they got older. He figured that his oddness was from being forced to grow up quicker in some ways more than others "I guess I should work better at being a better example for you" Ginzo stated before heading off towards the creepy house. He'll give the boy some time to get over his embarrassment. He didn't want to figure out if Kaito was the kind of person to lash out when embarrassed. He didn't think so, but wanted to be careful just in case. He didn't want to mess with their current peace, conflict wouldn't help them.

Chapter 13: Chapter 12 Bad Floor

Notes:

Written September 15 2019
Posted on Wattpad November 3 2019
Posted here February 5 2020

Chapter Text

Kaito buried his face into his hands, completely mortified that he'd gotten carried away and let slip how much he admired Ginzo. It wasn't that he was ashamed of the fact that he admired the inspector, it was more how he'd delivered the information. He couldn't believe that he'd actually told the other. He was supposed to be better than that! He should only give out information that he wished for Ginzo to know, blabbing on instinct wasn't how he'd been trained. He let out a weary sigh as he eventually uncovered his face, he couldn't fix that mistake so he might as well push it out of his mind. He needed to monitor the fire.

When daybreak came Ginzo woke up confused, having momentarily forgotten that he was actually staying with Kaito. He squinted at the morning light filtering through the window, he needed to ask Kaito for some sort of clock. He wasn't that good at telling time from the sun or moon.

He stretched his arms above his head before slipping out of the bed, relishing the lack of stiffness in his joints. If he was his real age, sleeping in that bed would have left him sore and stiff for ages. It was nice that being tiny during his stay with Kaito had some positives. As long as his time as a child wasn't permanent he was content to just live the best he could with what he had. There was no point in complaining if he couldn't actively do something to fix his problems.

Ginzo stifled a yawn as he made his way down the stairs, having a lot more confidence in them then the other day now that he knew they wouldn't kill him. He paused at the bottom of the stairs to stare at Kaito in bewilderment. The boy was sprawled out sleeping soundly on the floor. Concern nudged at him at how easily the boy could cut himself on the cracked tiles in his sleep. Maybe sleeping outside would have been a lot safer for Kaito, that thought was odd.

He silently hurried back up the stairs to fetch the blanket, once he had it he hurried back down the stairs. He then approached the sleeping boy as silently as he could, gently draping the blanket over him. He wasn't big enough to carry Kaito to the bed, so he at least hoped that the blanket would help if he rolled over.

The inspector gave the sleeping boy one last cursory look before stepping out of the house. He had to admit, this place was beautiful if he disregarded the house. The air was nice and fresh, courtesy of the trees filtering out the natural smog. Maybe he could make a tree fort to live in? It'd give him something to do if Kaito didn't have any tasks for him. The boy probably had the necessary tools somewhere around here.

He nodded to himself, yes a tree fort would be a good idea. Maybe he could make one big enough for Kaito to live in as well. Anything to stop him from sleeping on that hazardous floor. He glanced down at his hands with a frown, suddenly realising that he probably wouldn't have the physical strength to do it on his own. He grimaced, Kaito might help if he asked him, but the boy was probably going to be busy a lot of the time. Well that idea was out. Maybe he could fix up that floor somehow then? As long as it was no longer dangerous it would be fine. Dirt could work if he got a lot of it, but then he'd have to somehow harden it. The house was surprisingly clean despite it's sketchy appearance. He doubted that Kaito would like dirt being tracked into it.

"What are you thinking so hard about?" Kaito yawned, looking like he was still quite sleepy. He handed Ginzo a small leaf wrapped package "I could practically hear you thinking from just looking at you" He grinned.

Ginzo frowned when he spotted the bags under Kaito's eyes, the boy's hair was also a mess. He didn't seem like he's slept that well "That floor you were sleeping on is a health hazard" Ginzo grumbled "I was thinking of a way to make it more safe"

Indigos gleamed at his response, a small smile playing on the boy's lips "If it bugged you, I'll sleep on a tree branch or something" He replied, a little warmed that the inspector had thought of his safety. It had been a long time since someone had done that.

"Why not just sleep on the ground?" Not even Kaito could sleep perfectly on a tree branch every night and not fall right? It was impossible. He'd rather not wake up to discover Kaito with a broken neck.

Kaito grimaced "There are some wild dogs that sometimes roam these woods" He paused "I've also seen a bear once" He finished, it had scared the crap out of the time. Literally, he'd been doing his business and then all of a sudden there was a bear a few feet away from him. He'd never wiped up and ran faster than that in his whole life. He liked animals, but bears were kinda scary.

Ginzo blinked "Really? So close to Tokyo?"

Kaito shrugged "It's not my job to know why that bear was there" Indigos narrowed "I'd rather just stay clear away from them" He smiled "Some bears can climb trees, but at least if I'm already in a tree, the bear won't stumble upon me by accident" He'd only seen a bear once, but that encounter had startled him enough to make him wary.

The inspector frowned "Then until we do something about that floor, you should at least sleep on the floor in your room" He stated, at least that floor was less likely to stab the boy in his sleep.

"Okay" Kaito agreed, he hadn't done so in the first place to give Ginzo some room "I have no problem with that if you don't"

Chapter 14: Chapter 13 Curious

Notes:

Written September 15 2019
Posted on Wattpad November 4 2019
Posted here February 6 2020

Chapter Text

Ginzo nodded, he was fine with that. He highly doubted that the other would try to murder him in his sleep "As long as you don't snore" He replied.

"I don't snore" Kaito huffed, crossing his arms against his chest "I only snore if my nose gets broken the wrong way" He replied before motioning towards the package he'd given Ginzo "I caught something last night and smoked it's meat" He flashed a grin "I ate my share after it was freshly smoked so that's your share" He stated.

The inspector gave the leaf package a curious look "What type of meat is it?" He wasn't going to throw it away, he was just curious. Any sort of freshly cooked meat was better than eating somebody else's leftovers.

"Squirrel" The boy replied, his grin widening "It crawled right up onto my lap so I pet it for a little while first" It had been really cute, he'd felt bad killing the little guy but had done so anyways. The meat was good and the pelt could be added to his collection after he treated it. He almost had enough to make a huge blanket to cuddle up in during the winter.

"You made friends with it before killing it?" Ginzo asked, a little concerned. Most little kids couldn't eat an animal after they've made friends with it. Let alone kill said animal.

Kaito shrugged "It was fully grown and wasn't caring for any young" If it had been a nursing mother or young squirrel he would have let it go. It wasn't good to hunt those animals. "I killed it humanely for food and it's pelt, it won't go to waste" He didn't mind killing animals humanely for food, he just didn't like it when they were killed just for fun.

Ginzo nodded in acceptance of the answer, it was a mature one, and also suited Kaito "That seems fair" He began unwrapping the leaf package "What are the plans for today?" He inquired, he had a feeling that the other wasn't idle often.

"I plan to check on some of the lab results, snatch us some food, then do more tests depending on the results I get" He paused for a moment "Then I plan to do some favours to get some money for us" He visibly grimaced "Due to extenuating circumstances I need to go back there sooner than I had hoped" Kaito sighed, he didn't blame Ginzo. He just really didn't like how his arrival had skewed a good amount of his plans.

"What kind of favours?" He asked, both intrigued and a little concerned. Most of Kaito's contacts had to be criminals of some sort. He took a bite of the meat, it's smokey taste was surprisingly pleasant.

Kaito rolled his eyes "Nothing too dangerous, nor too illegal" He smirked, amused by Ginzo's concern over him meeting some of his contacts "The money also shouldn't be associated with blood or theft if that makes it any better" He added, just to soothe the other's concerns a bit. He'd never accept blood money, even if he was starving and trapped. Accepting blood money was the same as saying that the act to receive that money was okay. He wasn't a Crow, and he would never be one.

Ginzo frowned as he swallowed a piece of meat "Can you just tell me the kind of favours you're doing?" He grumbled "It's not like I could report you right now" He huffed. He was really curious by what Kaito meant.

The boy shook his head, giving Ginzo a small smile "Sorry I can't" Indigos gleamed "I value my hearing. So I don't want to listen to you yelling at me" He snickered. He knew for sure that if the inspector ever found out, he'd probably never hear the end of it until Ginzo got his way. He liked the money, it funded his heists nicely and he didn't really need any identification because it wasn't legal.

The inspector didn't like that answer, yet he could tell that Kaito probably wasn't going to budge on his stance. Just what did he mean by favours? He wondered if he'll ever know "Is there anything that I should do then? Or am I free to do whatever?" He breathed in defeat. Maybe if Kaito got more used to his presence in the house he would open up to him more.

Kaito hummed in thought for a moment "Could you boil and store the rest of the water?" He grimaced "I got too tired and didn't get to finish it all" He wasn't used to being awake during the day. Yesterday had really messed up his sleep schedule. He couldn't sleep during the day too much with Ginzo here, it wouldn't feel right to leave him all alone most of the time.

"I guess I could do that" Ginzo replied before finishing off the rest of the meat. He had no problem doing tasks that were necessary, especially when he figured that the other would be doing them himself if he hadn't needed to be in that secret lab of his "Though do you have anything here for entertainment for when I'm done?" He asked, it wouldn't take him the whole day to properly boil the water.

"Yeah, sure" Kaito agreed, noting that Ginzo was used to doing a lot of police work during the day "I'll bring up some of my books for you to read" He stated.

Ginzo blinked "Up?" He inquired, he hadn't seen some sort of staircase leading underground in the house.

Kaito smirked "You really thought that you've seen the whole house?" He snickered, indigos gleaming "What would I have done if some random person came across this house?" It wasn't likely, but he'd prepared for the possibility anyways.

He scowled "Then why the hell do you live in the uninhabitable floors?" If the house was bigger, why didn't Kaito live in the presumably better living space.

Kaito shrugged "I feel trapped when I'm underground for too long" He paused "And it's not really that habitable in the first place" Though it was in a different way than the floors Ginzo had seen.

Chapter 15: Chapter 14 The Hell?!?

Notes:

Written September 15 2019
Posted on Wattpad November 7 2019
Posted here February 7 2020

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Ginzo frowned, surely someplace important enough to be hidden from view had to be more habitable than the parts of the house that he'd seen "I don't really believe you that it's as uninhabitable as you're making it out to be" If it was, then that would mean that the foundation was weak and was due to collapse in on itself. He doubted that even Kaito was that crazy.

Kaito smirked "Maybe after a few weeks or so I'll let you see for yourself" He didn't fully trust the other to not mess around with things that he shouldn't "It's only our second day together and I don't really want you exploring down there right now" He finished, there was trust, and then there was being too trusting. He'd already given Ginzo enough to chew on for now.

"Let me guess, your lab where you make all your crazy shit is down there?" The inspector joked, it would make sense to keep that location close to where he stayed.

"Yeah, any my other lab where I'm working with lab agents to fix your shrinkage problem" The boy snickered at the other's unimpressed look "And before you ask, no, you're not going to die a horrific death"

Ginzo spluttered "Why would I even ask that!?" He gasped, shocked by the grim humour.

Kaito's grin faded, his expression going neutral "You were fed a poison" He stated, voice void of any traces of humour "And that poison ate away at you as it changed you" Indigos darkened "Where do you think all your extra mass when you shrunk?" He let out a breath, fingers clenching "Mass doesn't just disappear, which means that the poison did something to destroy it" Kaito bit his lip "Yesterday's tests were to make sure that the poison didn't keep eating away at you" He finished. It had been a heavy load off his mind when those tests had run through and had given him good results. He'd even quadrupled the tests just to make sure it hadn't been a fluke.

"Wait, so I could have been dying slowly yesterday and you wouldn't have told me?!" He shouted, causing Kaito to cover his ears "What the hell were you thinking?!" Ginzo bellowed. He was pissed that Kaito had kept something vital from him, especially since it was about his life.

"I'm sorry!" Kaito yelped over his yelling. Ginzo stopped to listen to his excuse, he'd continue yelling at him afterwards "It was only a possibility" Kaito breathed "Why would I needlessly worry you when the only speculations I had were from my own theories?" Indigo met Ginzo's gaze "If my theory had proven to be correct, I would have told you right away" He added. He hadn't wanted to leave Ginzo all alone for most of the day while the inspector pondered about his possible upcoming death. Times like that weren't supposed to be spent all alone so instead he'd given him a task to keep himself busy.

Ginzo's gaze narrowed "Next time, don't worry about my feelings" He huffed, he wanted to know all of the possible outcomes of the tests.

Kaito nodded, looking apologetic "When it regards your life, I wont worry about your feelings" He stated, making sure that when it was about Kaito's own life, that the promise was null. Ginzo was too kind and had already shown that he was capable of worrying for Kaito. The thief was well aware that he was around the same age as Ginzo's daughter, so of course he'd occasionally trigger Ginzo's fatherly instincts. This morning with the blanket was proof enough.

The inspector nodded, appeased for the moment "Good" He replied.

With that conversation done and over with, Kaito disappeared into his secret labs and Ginzo began the process of making a fire to boil the water over. He'd decided to use the same set up as Kaito had used previously. Thankfully the boy hadn't take it down, most likely having thought that Ginzo would use it.

Honestly the inspector was a little shocked by what he'd learned. It hadn't even occurred to him that the poison could have been continuing to work. The thought of suddenly dropping dead wasn't really appealing and now that he'd calmed down and thought about it, he was glad he hadn't known yesterday. He'd have spent the whole day wondering if he was dying a very slow death of not. It would have made his task a lot more difficult with his mind elsewhere.

He let out a huff as he poured the warmed water into the thermal water bottle. He supposed it was better in the long run to have the heat resistant bottles instead of plastic or metal. Metal could eventually rust while the plastic ones could potentially melt if the water wasn't cooled down first. With the thermal bottles he didn't have to wait before pouring the hot water into them. It saved a lot of time. He was also grateful to see that every bottle had a reusable filter attached to them. Clean dirt was still dirt that would give the water a bad texture.

After finishing off most of the buckets he paused when he heard a loud but muffled bang "The hell?" He muttered to himself as he placed the bottle he was holding onto the ground. He glanced around, confused when he saw nothing visibly amiss. Another bang, this time much louder caused Ginzo to jolt up onto his feet. A large plume of oddly coloured smoke billowed from behind the house. He ran towards the source. Did something fucking explode or something?!

When he circled around the house he spotted Kaito down on his hands and knees coughing. The boy was covered in soot "I- fine!" Kaito spluttered through his coughing fit. Ginzo still ran over to him regardless.

"What the fuck even happened?!" He growled as he crouched down next to him, eyes visibly scanning the other for injuries. He let out a relieved breath when he's spotted none. What the fuck had he been doing?! He glanced around, and where the hell did he even come from?!

 

Notes:

Random explosions are to be expected...

Chapter 16: Chapter 15

Notes:

Written September 17 2019
Posted on Wattpad November 14 2019
Posted here February 10 2020

Chapter Text

Kaito let out a few more good coughs before taking in a deep breath to forcibly stabilise his breathing. He flashed Ginzo a reassuring smile "I'm fine" He stated, voice slightly hoarse from his coughing fit. He grimaced, gently massaging his throat to ease some of his discomfort.

Ginzo scowled at the boy, the smoke surrounding them having dissipated into the air "What the hell happened?" He growled. There was no way Kaito was completely fine if he needed to massage his throat.

The boy let out a small choked giggle "I was feeling sleepy so I decided to work on something less delicate" There was no way that he'd work on Ginzo's possible cure while he was half asleep. He didn't want to accidentally poison the guy due to one of his calculations being slightly off. That would be both horrifying and pathetic.

The inspector scoffed "Less delicate means explosive tests?" He attempted to brush some of the odd soot off of Kaito's shoulder. He failed, only managing to spread it deeper into the threads "How the hell does that make any sense?!" He growled, he wasn't fond of random explosions. He was also pretty sure that most people shared his sentiment as well.

Kaito shook his head, a wave of coloured powder flying from his unruly locks. He did so again in an attempt to further displace the powder "It wasn't actually that dangerous" He countered "I was working on something for a future heist" He shrugged, looking a little sheepish "I just nodded off a bit and messed up the chemical concentration then 'boom!'" He raised his arms dramatically near the end before letting them fall back down to his sides. In reality, he'd actually also sneezed while pouring some chemicals while half asleep. The sneeze had made the chemicals spill faster than he'd intended them to.

"I thought that you were going to put off heists for a while" Ginzo frowned, he didn't like the idea of there being a Kid heist that he wouldn't be able to attend. Who would lead the task force in his stead?

Kaito nodded "That's the plan, but something might come up where I need to pull a heist" It had happened a few times in the past, especially when copy cats tried to blame him. That was always a pain to deal with. It wasn't like he ever really had a completely solid alibi outside of heists, and even during heists it was iffy at best.

Ginzo's eyes narrowed "Are your tricks always so dangerous to create?" He'd never really thought about how Kid really got all of his tricks. Sure he'd guessed that Kid had made them, he'd just never thought of the actual process of making them.

Indigos gleamed, a small smile playing on Kaito's lips. It felt a little nice to have someone being concerned for his safety "Sometimes" His smile morphed into a grin at Ginzo's concerned look "But not today" He snickered "I was working on smoke bombs and they all had a little chain reaction. The noise was probably the new sound bombs I've been working on" They were a little too effective, he'd have to change some of his calculations on them "The only danger I was in was from suffocation, but I quickly bolted out of there before the air got too thick" Kaito finished, there was a slight burning sensation in the back of his throat. He needed to drink water soon.

The inspector raised a brow, crossing his arms "So since you were sleepy, you decided to work on explosive tricks rather than rest?" Why was this guy even alive?! He had to have almost zero self preservation.

"It was a better option than working on the cure" He smiled "Wouldn't it have been awful if I messed up and ended up poisoning you instead?" Despite the light delivery, he knew that he'd never be able to forgive himself if that actually happened.

"I'd prefer that you actually rest when you're tired" The inspector growled, of course Kid wouldn't take care of himself like a normal person. He just had to be the exception.

Indigos squinted "Then my sleep schedule would become even more messed up than it already is" He staggered to his feet, absentmindedly brushing himself off "I worked really hard to make myself almost nocturnal" He huffed, extending a hand to help Ginzo up.

"Maybe you shouldn't be nocturnal anymore" Ginzo argued as he accepted the help up, making sure to keep his voice steady. He'd noted that the other was more likely to cover his ears than to listen to him when he yelled. It was odd, Kid never did that. Kid was also usually farther away from him though.

Kaito made a disgusted face "But then I'd be bored, I can't explore the city  during the day" But he also couldn't just sleep through the day with Ginzo here with him. He also couldn't make Ginzo change his sleep schedule to match his own anyways. After a few moments of thought, Kaito's shoulders lowered in defeat "Though I guess things have to change since you're here too" He sighed, knowing that the inspector was right. Working while sleepy wasn't really an effective way to get things done. He'd make more progress wide awake.

"Good" Ginzo nodded in approval "On heist nights you can just get some extra sleep during the day like a normal person" Ginzo added, knowing that he wasn't going to be able to stop the other from actually pulling more heists just yet. Maybe one day he'll find out just what pulling off one of those fancy heists really accomplished. Kaito hadn't yet given him that information yet despite how open he's been. He had a strong feeling he'd never really know until Kaito wanted him to know.

"Eww" Kaito whined, looking dismayed "Acting like a normal person isn't any fun"

Ginzo rolled his eyes at the over the top dramatics "I have a feeling that you'll be able to cope" He stated, earning him an unimpressed look from the other.

Chapter 17: Chapter 16 Eat!

Notes:

Written September 19 2019
Posted on Wattpad November 21 2019
Posted here February 14 2020

Chapter Text

After the unexpected scare on Ginzo's part, Kaito took off towards the river to wash off while Ginzo went back to his task of filling up the water bottles with clean water. Kaito didn't really return until noon where he handed Ginzo a suspiciously normal looking slice of pizza and half a ham sub. The sub thankfully looked like it had been cut by a knife so there was no visible bite marks on any of his food. They didn't really look like other people's leftovers.

Kaito gave Ginzo a small grin when he noted the inspector's suspicion "The sub was made wrong so I snatched it before it was thrown out" Indigos gleamed "The pizza was left behind by some horrible rich people because they got full and didn't want to carry it" He didn't like how they had just left the food there for the workers to clean up. Though he was grudgingly grateful whenever he found food on top of the tables in food courts. He just didn't like their messiness and incapability to be a decent person and clean up their own mess.

Ginzo's gaze narrowed "I haven't actually seen you eat since I've been here" It was odd that despite how good Kaito seemed to be at finding food, the boy was still too thin to be healthy. Did the guy have a health problem or something? "Do you skip meals often?" He inquired.

The boy inwardly winced at the question "I eat enough to get by" He retorted, it's just that he often had better things to do than eat, and he often wasn't hungry. It's hard to get up an appetite when he wasn't in a good mood. That, and he wasn't used to eating too much. He didn't think he'd even be able to eat three meals a day even if he wanted to. It was best to give Ginzo most of the food because of that.

The inspector clicked his tongue in annoyance "You didn't really answer my question" Instead, Kaito had made him even more concerned about Kaito's eating habits. Weren't growing boys supposed to be eating a lot? He'd heard that they could eat multiple plates of food depending on the food.

Kaito rolled his eyes "I ate a bit of food yesterday and I'll probably eat something tonight" If he remembered to, he might get caught up in some tests in his lab instead. He wasn't really sure yet "Don't worry, my body is used to running on a little bit of fuel" He smirked "I'd probably get sick if I ate as much as you" Stuffing one's face after not eating well for a long time usually wasn't a good idea. It was even worse if one hadn't eaten in a while. There was a reason why rushing to feed orphaned animals often led to their death after all. Refeeding syndrome was not something that he ever wanted to experience. 

Ginzo frowned, sort of understanding where Kaito was coming from. He really didn't like it. He ripped the sub in half and handed one of the halves to Kaito "At least eat that where I can see you" He huffed, he'd feel a lot better if he actually saw the boy actually eat something instead of taking his word for it.

Kaito had a small grimace on his face as he looked at the food in his hands. That was supposed to be the inspector's food, not his "I'm not really hungry though" He stated. It was true, he actually wasn't very hungry right now.

The inspector scoffed "I'd be worrying about you until I see you eat" He replied, deciding to use Kaito's concern for others against the boy. He wasn't against playing dirty if it allowed him to make sure Kaito actually ate something.

The boy's shoulders drooped, sensing that the inspector wasn't going to budge on this. He'd deal with feeling overfull after "Fine, I'll eat it" He sighed, looking hesitantly at the sub for a few moments before scarfing it down. If he ate it all before it hit his stomach, he'd be able to succeed. He visibly grimaced after he finished swallowing "Happy now?" He breathed, deciding to make sure he eats his meals within Ginzo's sight. He didn't want to do that again.

Ginzo's posture loosened after watching Kaito eat a bit. His gaze also softened somewhat at Kaito's visible discomfort. He nodded "Just make sure that I know for sure that you've eaten" Hopefully he'd eventually get the boy to eat more often with less discomfort on Kaito's part.

"Noted" Kaito replied, feeling a little sick. Thankfully the nausea wasn't strong enough for him to lose his lunch "I'm going to go do some more tests in the lab" He met Ginzo's gaze "Go to sleep when you're tired. I don't think I'll return home tonight, but I should be back for sure by tomorrow, noon"

The inspector scowled "I thought that you were planning to get rid of your nocturnal ways" Staying up all night really wasn't a good way to go about doing that.

Indigos darkened as Kaito pursed his lips "I can do more favours during the night than the day" He shrugged "Don't worry, after a week or so we should have enough money to allow you to live more comfortably if we spend it right" He replied "And don't worry, I take naps between tasks" Kaito soothed, knowing that Ginzo knowing that should at least ease his concerns a bit. He forced himself not to smile wryly at that. The inspector was really to kind for his own good, though that was one of the main reasons why he's here instead of with one of his acquaintances. He probably wouldn't be half as fine if it was one of the other task force members. Ginzo was special in that regard.

"Is there any way that I could make money as well?" Ginzo offered, missing the faint flash of horror within indigos. Kaito swiftly cleared away any distress from his features.

Chapter 18: Chapter 17 Untitled Chappy

Notes:

Written September 19 2019
Posted on Wattpad November 28 2019
Posted here February 14 2020

Chapter Text

Kaito swiftly shook his head "No it's fine" He quickly replied "You really wouldn't like what I'm doing and anything legal would require proper identification" A wry smile made its way onto Kaito's face "And that's if you even manage to convince someone to even hire a child" He let out a breath "I'm grateful that you want to help out, but we can't risk you appearing so soon after your official death" It would be a long shot to actually properly identify the inspector as he was now, but Kaito still didn't want to risk it.

Ginzo frowned, Kaito's logic was good "Isn't there anything else I can do then?" He asked, not wanting to have to rely completely on a child for everything. It didn't matter that said child was Kaitou Kid, it still felt wrong for Kaito to have most of the workload. Ginzo was the adult, not Kaito.

"Well..." Kaito trailed off for a few moments in thought "I guess water duty, cleaning, foraging, and proper food storage could officially be your tasks" Kaito shrugged "It would save me a whole lot of time if you completely took over those tasks" He grinned "Then I'd just be in charge of getting money, the antidote, heists, buying items, and fetching some food" He often got a lot of good equipment from hospital dumpsters or from factory trash areas. It was a wonder the things people threw out just to get the newest tech. He could take the old tech and make it even better than the apparently 'better' tech. It paid to be educated in technology.The inspector grimaced, Kaito had a lot of the more difficult tasks. Though he also doubted that he'd even be able to complete any of those tasks as well as the other would. It was slightly frustrating. Indigos flashed sympathetically "Don't worry, we both have different strengths" He flashed a grin.

"It seems like you have a lot more strengths than I do" Ginzo scoffed, envious.

Kaito crouched down so that he wasn't looking down at Ginzo "Well you're at a severe disadvantage. All of your connections and contacts have been cut off from you" Kaito reasoned "Yes I may be more science savvy and sneaky, but you're also stronger, older, and better accustomed to proper life than me" Kaito wasn't really much of a fighter, he obviously specialised more in running away.

Ginzo rolled his eyes "You're probably stronger than me right now" There was no way a 7 year old could take down a thirteen year old without tricks, and Kaito was the master of tricks.

Kaito shrugged "My limb extensions that I use for heists actually give me most of my strength. They absorb energy and impact quite well" He glanced at Ginzo "If you really had to, you could probably use strength to overpower me if you catch me by surprise" He shrugged "My main boon against you is that I'm tall enough that you can't just hold me down easily" Indigos gleamed "If we were physically the same age, you'd beat me for sure. My muscles are geared towards cardio, not lifting" Kaito knew that he probably should do some weight lifting, but he also didn't really want to. He liked his lithe figure quite a lot.

"But we're not the same age" Ginzo muttered darkly.

Kaito grinned "The same argument can be said that you're not in the right body right now" The boy countered, using a similar argument against him in regards to Ginzo's frustrations "Honestly, it's a good thing right now" He breathed "It's easier to keep you hidden while your small" Indigos gleamed as they met Ginzo's gaze "I'm pretty sure a proper sized Keibu would be harder to hide" It would have also been a lot riskier for Kaito if the other could physically move him.

Ginzo blinked "But we wouldn't be in this situation if I hadn't shrunk"

Indigos darkened "It wouldn't have changed the fact that they would have still attempted to kill you" It would have been a lot harder to get Ginzo to safety "So I still would have brought you here" He winced "Though I probably would have been a lot more cautious since you'd be able to haul me over your shoulder and take me to the police station" That would have been utterly embarrassing if that outcome didn't ultimately result in both of their deaths.

Ginzo blinked "That's actually something I would have done if you hadn't explained the danger before revealing to me who you are..." Especially if he'd been in his original body.

The boy nodded "Which means that you shrinking is actually a benefit to our safety, and safety trumps all other subjects" If they weren't safe like this, they'd end up dead in no time. Even during heists, he had a set level of safety. All he really had to do was remove his limb extensions and the Crows wouldn't even take a second look at him. Though if he did that too much, suspicions could arise.

"I hadn't really thought about it like that..." Ginzo mused, suddenly feeling a bit better about his situation. It was good to know that he wasn't a complete inconvenience.

Kaito smiled "Not many people really would, they'd mainly focus on the negatives" He smirked "I guess it's a good thing that I don't think like most people do" He snickered. Thinking outside the box was an ability that he truly cherished, especially with how many times it's saved him in the past.

Ginzo nodded "True, most people can't compete with your level of crazy" He replied, giving the other a smirk.

Kaito let out a small breath of laughter "Eat you food, I'll see you sometime tomorrow at the latest" He winked "If I'm not back by sundown tomorrow, I probably died in a really stupid and pathetic way" Indigos gleamed "If that's the case, save me the embarrassment and don't look for me" He snickered before vanishing into the trees.

The inspector clicked his tongue, of course he had to have the last word.

Chapter 19: Chapter 18 Eating Apples and Chatting

Notes:

Written September 20 2019
Posted on Wattpad November 5 2019
Posted here February 21 2020

Chapter Text

Ginzo let out a tired sigh as he leaned against a sturdy oak tree, he could now understand why Kaitou Kid seemed to have unlimited stamina during heists. The way he lived was bound to build one's endurance. He squinted at the sparse amount of vegetation that he'd managed to forage. He knew some of the berries, but a lot of them were unknown to him. He'd ask Kaito when the boy returned from wherever he had went. The boy probably knew more about forest vegetation than he did, especially since it seems like Kaito has been living here for a good while. Surviving being poisoned by a criminal syndicate only to die from eating poisonous berries seemed a like a pathetic way to go.

"I hope that you didn't eat any berries" The inspector managed to not jump at the sound of Kaito's voice. He glanced to the side to see the boy.  He looked no worse for wear than when he'd left, though he did seem to be favouring his left leg a bit.

"No, I didn't recognise some of them and didn't want to get poisoned again" Kaito nodded, walking over towards him, he had a faint limp "What happened?" Ginzo inquired, motioning towards Kaito's leg as the boy sat beside him.

Kaito covered a yawn with his hand before replying "Did a little too much last night" He flashed a cheery grin "Don't worry I'm not injured, just a little sore" He was actually very sore, but the inspector didn't really need to know that. He also didn't really see a point in hiding his soreness because that would only make it worse if he forced himself to walk normally. It was better to just admit it to Ginzo so that the inspector wouldn't push as much. If he'd tried to hide it but failed, Ginzo's concerns would be bigger, so he'd end up pushing for more details.

Ginzo let out a breath "I'm also sore, how the hell did you do all that stuff on your own on top of planning heists?" He wasn't used to walking on the uneven ground of a forest. That, and he was using different muscles throughout the day than he was used to.

Kaito tossed him some packaged dry meat and handed him a bag full of apples "The soreness fades once you get used to it. I don't do those favours very often so sadly that won't work for me" A apple suddenly appeared in his hand "The meat will last a good while so you can save it for your bread" He supplied before taking a bite out of the apple. It was nice and sweet, it'd been a while since he'd last had one. He then began picking out some berries from Ginzo's stash and began tossing them away "Those ones are poisonous" He stated after swallowing.

The inspector nodded, taking note of the berries that Kaito had left . He'd make sure to look out for those ones next time "How often did you usually do those tasks?" Ginzo inquired, a little curious.

Kaito nibbled a bit on his apple before replying "Maybe once or twice a month, though sometimes more whenever there's an influx of heist targets appearing" He shrugged "Sometimes I even get by with going only once every two months"

Ginzo frowned "But you mentioned that you would go a few times this week"

Kaito nodded "Yeah, I'm thinking that if I go every night for a week or to, we'd have enough money to let you live more normally for a good while if the earnings are spent right" He replied, stifling another yawn. He didn't really care about living in comfort but the inspector did. It was the least he could do for him since Ginzo had actually decided to stay with him.

"How much money did you even make last night?" He asked, both curious and worried. It was often hard to make good money.

Kaito smiled "A little over twenty thousand yen"

Ginzo coughed, almost choking on his food. He looked at Kaito in shock "What the hell did you do?!" He hissed, that was a lot of money for supposedly doing stuff that wasn't too illegal.

The boy grinned "I just have a way with people" His grin turned into a smirk "I notified them that I'd be returning for the next week or two so I'll probably make more money tonight and the next nights" His presence hadn't been expected so there had been less people who'd required his talents.

Ginzo gawked "If you can make money so easily, why do you live here?" The inspector didn't really understand why Kaito had chosen to live how he was. He could probably afford the materials to make at least the inside more hospitable.

The boy gave a small grimace "I don't like my method of making money, I usually only do it when I have to" He grabbed another apple from somewhere "Heists cost me a lot of money since I don't actually keep anything" He shrugged "So I prioritise that over comfort" There was no need for him to make this place too comfortable. He might have to suddenly abandon it one day. It'd been hard enough burning his old home, he didn't need any attachments to this one.

The inspector didn't really like the idea of Kaito doing something he was uncomfortable doing just for the sake of his own comfort. What the hell would Kaito even be uncomfortable doing? He knew killing was obvious, but he seriously doubted that killing people was Kaito's mystery money making job "Yesterday's food was fine, you don't have to do whatever you're doing just for my sake"

Kaito shook his head "No, I also need to get a lot more substances to continue further on making your cure" Chemicals were expensive if he wanted to guarantee their quality. There was no way that he was going to use potentially dubious chemicals within the cure. He had to make sure that he knew their exact chemical structures.

Chapter 20: Chapter 19 Dim Thoughts

Notes:

Written September 20 2019
Posted on Wattpad December 12 2019
Posted here February 26 2020

Chapter Text

Ginzo frowned "Is making the cure complicated?" He didn't really know much about science related stuff.

"Yeah, whoever made that poison is a genius" Kaito breathed "I've never seen chemical sequences that complex before, it's actually very difficult to work with" It was also kinda scary that the Crows had someone that intelligent on their side. He only hoped that there were only a few with that level of intelligence working for them. He preferred dealing with the dumber Crows.

The inspector blinked "You've already isolated the poison?!" He had heard that isolating new toxins could be quite difficult and had the potential to take up a lot of time.

Kaito smirked, looking very proud "I studied and familiarised myself with both biochemistry and chemicals" It had taken him forever to get to his skill level, but that was besides the point "And since I was already familiar with your DNA sequence, it was a more easy than it would have been if I hadn't known it" Being a borderline creepy stalker had turned out to be very useful so far it seems.

"So do you have any time estimates for when the cure is complete?" The inspector inquired, a little excited at the prospect of being the right age again.

The boy shrugged "Not really, it's too complex to give you any sort of estimate" He paused giving Ginzo a curious look "Do I have to remind you that you'd still have to stay hidden even after you get cured?" He stated "Not much would change for your situation until the Crows are taken down"

Ginzo nodded, he'd figured that. But if he was in his own body, he would have more control over his situation and could maybe force Kaito to take better care of himself "It would still be nice to be in my own body" He breathed.

Kaito tossed his two apple cores somewhere deeper within the forest. He'd let the animals have the rest of them and what wasn't eaten would just degrade naturally "True, though if I were in your situation there wouldn't be that much of a change" He snickered, he'd just have to lengthen his fake limbs for when he went out as Kid. It would be both an easy, and simple fix.

"So what should be done for the rest of the day?" Ginzo inquired, not really sure what to do next.

"We can collect more water, though this time it'll be distilled through special filters instead of boiling" At Ginzo's unimpressed look he explained "The water is not for drinking, its for my lab and distilling the water gives it an awful taste and makes you feel more thirsty than before"

The inspector blinked "What kind of distillers are you using?!" He was pretty sure distillers didn't do that to water. It only made water taste strange or different to some people depending on their tastes.

Kaito let out a sheepish chuckle "It's actually the air in the lab that does that" He shrugged "I can't move the distiller so I just boil any drinking water" He'd had an acquaintance install it for him, but that person had died a while ago. Kaito wasn't strong enough to move it and he also didn't want anybody else in his lab, so the distiller had to stay where it was.

"That doesn't sound very safe..." Ginzo muttered. Just what the hell was in the air that it did that to the water?!

"It's fine if I limit myself to less than twelve hours a day down there, after that I start to feel sick" He replied, it was another reason why he didn't stay in the lab during the winter. "I don't really know why the air does that but it's safe" Or at least as safe as it can be. Any long term effects weren't really that much of a concern to him. He'd probably won't even live long enough for them to be relevant. Ginzo on the other hand hopefully would, which is why the inspector wasn't allowed in the lab.

Ginzo grit his teeth "That makes it even worse?! It may not be really affecting you now, but what about in the future?!" He growled. Air that made someone feel sick if they're exposed to it for too long obviously wasn't very safe! What the hell is he even thinking actually spending hours in there?!

Kaito gave the inspector a blank look "What future?" He breathed "My future consists of either death or jail" A dark smile spread across his lips "I'm pretty sure that I don't need to consider any future effects the air may have on me "You're concern is appreciated, but it's also not needed" There was no point in worrying or planning his future for after the Crows are gone. It made things a lot simpler in that regard. He could neglect himself to his heart's content and not need to worry about how a poorly healed injury will affect him when he's older.

The way Kaito was talking about himself made Ginzo want to grab the boy and try to shake some sense into him. He didn't of course, being both too small and cautions. He didn't want to make Kaito bolt and manhandling the boy just might do that "If you explained everything, I'm sure that you won't get a life sentence" He argued weakly, surely the courts would show some mercy on Kaito right? He was non-violent and he never actually stole anything.

Kaito scowled "I never had a life and I never will" Even if he was given a shorter sentence, he'd still be isolated from the world. By that time he would have missed way too many things to make attempting to live a proper life worth it. Once the crows were gone, he wasn't going to do anything illegal ever again. That meant he'd have no money, no connections, and no freedom of not being registered. The way he was currently living was illegal, so he'd be forced onto the streets. He didn't want to beg and without schooling papers he couldn't get a job.

Chapter 21: Chapter 20 Bet

Notes:

Written September 21 2019
Posted on Wattpad December 19 2019
Posted here February 28 2020

Chapter Text

Ginzo glanced towards the ground, knuckles going white from how tightly he clenched his fists "Surely you can't mean that?" He ground out, unimpressed with the boy's outlook on life. He met Kaito's gaze "Not even during heists?" He growled, there had been many times where Kid had looked like he was having the time of his life. There was no way that all of those times had been a lie. It was impossible.

A wry smile graced Kaito's lips "Okay, there were times during heists that I actually enjoyed myself" He admitted "But that can't really be considered as living, I was playing a part" Being Kid was both amazing and horrible. It allowed him to interact with others without forming normal connections with them. Though at the same time Kid was the reason why he couldn't go out and do that like a normal child.

The inspector shook his head "You know..." He paused for a moment "Your personality is a lot like Kid's, just a lot more tamer" He breathed "I think that you've intentionally blinded yourself to the truth"

Indigos glanced at him in confusion "I don't really understand what you're getting at Keibu" How could he possibly be doing that? He had no reason to delude himself.

"When you're Kid, your real personality leaks through" Ginzo stated "Doesn't that mean that you aren't actually playing a part but being yourself with some extra flare?" He squinted at the sun shining down through the leaves "Kid isn't some made up persona, Kid is a part of you. Which means that your life isn't as empty as you seem to think it is" He scolded. Kid has thousands of fans, a lot of them even included the police force. He'd personally won the support from most of the people he went up against.

Kaito let out a soft sigh, tucking his legs up against his chest before wrapping his arms around them "But Kid won't be around forever" He replied softly "And the only connection that I can keep from being Kid is our weird relationship" He snickered "And that's only because you went and got yourself shrunk"

Ginzo frowned "One of the reasons you brought me here was because you were lonely right?" He was almost positive on that fact, but he also wasn't completely sure.

A faint pink tinted the boy's cheeks as he turned his head away "Sort of..." He figured that hiding his motives was useless, especially if Ginzo had already suspected "I don't get to talk to others as myself much..." He muttered.

The inspector nodded "I figured that was the case" He let out a tired breath "It also explains why you're doing your best to be as truthful as you can with me" Kaito didn't have anyone else to be truthful with.

"Contrary to the common belief, I really don't like lying to people" It didn't matter that he was trained well in the art, it still made him feel fake whenever he lied. He already had enough fake to deal with, he didn't want to create any more.

"That's why I always took you for your word" Ginzo agreed, yes the guy had frustrated him to hell with his crazy riddles, but at least he always kept his word "You've never really outright lied" If Kid said he was going to show up, he would. During the few times that he hadn't there had been whispers the next day about Kid being caught up in something dangerous. Eventually it had led him to become concerned whenever the thief was late. The apologetic flowers and candies sent after those times always eased his worries. It meant that Kid hadn't left or changed his ways.

"Lies if told enough times often become the truth" Kaito breathed "I didn't want that to happen to me" He didn't like the thought of becoming like that, he'd witnessed it happen to others and hadn't liked the outcomes.

"When this is over, I'll do my best to get your punishment lightened" Ginzo replied "I don't think that you're a bad enough guy to spend the rest of your life in prison. Especially with how young you are" In some ways he wondered if the way Kaito was living wasn't already punishment enough. The boy was living in fear and wouldn't care for himself due to that fear.

Indigos narrowed "You don't need to do that Keibu, I've already prepared myself for worse outcomes" He flashed a smile "I wouldn't even know what to do next if my crimes were lessened"

Ginzo scoffed "Well you better start thinking about it" Even from the short time he's been with Kaito like this, he knew that he didn't want Kaito to rot in jail for the rest of his life. Yes he deserved to pay for his crimes, but there were probably other ways he could do that. Kaito had to pay no matter what. He didn't think that the boy would ever move on if he didn't. Kaito didn't seem to like himself enough to allow that.

Kaito rolled his eyes "I doubt it, but I guess that I'll humour you" He sighed. There was no way that the police would just let him go. His capture status was too high profile for that. There'd be many promotions after his capture. He smiled sadly. At least Ginzo would get to reap most of the benefits from his capture. The guy could stand for a bit more respect thrown his way.

"Then I guess it's a bet" Ginzo smirked "If you win I'll do one favour of your choice" His gaze sharpened "But if I win, you have to do a favour for me" There wasn't any real danger to the bet so he figured that it was fine. He'd just have to decide what he'd ask for before then.

Indigos gleamed at the prospect of a bet, he liked challenges "Very well" He flashed a confidant smirk "I'll accept the bet" Maybe he could make Ginzo visit him in jail occasionally. It wasn't like the inspector would break a promise.

Chapter 22: Chapter 21 Changes, Sleepy

Summary:

^~^......

Notes:

Written September 25 2019
Posted on Wattpad Christmas 2019
Posted Here March 6 2020

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Ginzo gazed up at the coloured trees in contemplation, summer had ended a week or so ago. He'd been shrunk near the beginning of summer, meaning that he'd been living with Kaito for a little over two months. It had been quite an interesting experience to say the least, before all of this had happened he would have never thought that he could live civilly with Kaitou Kid.

It was actually surprisingly easy to get along with Kaito, or at least most of the time it was. Things usually only got tense between them whenever Ginzo called him out on not caring for himself that well. He still hated how little the boy seemed to care about both himself and his own future. He was only grateful that whenever things did get tense, Kaito would disappear somewhere for a while before returning and acting like nothing had happened.

During the two months that they've been together there had been countless of Kaito's 'harmless' explosions as he worked within the lab. The thief seemed to have hit a standstill with his progress on the cure. Kaito hadn't said anything, but the concerned look he had on his face whenever he fetched more research books had told Ginzo all that he needed to know. He'd decided to refrain from asking about the cure, Kaito would inform him of any significant progress.

A cool breeze blew by, sending a small shiver down the inspector's spine as he huddled his coat tighter around himself. That was another odd thing that had happened throughout the months. Their living conditions were a lot better than when Ginzo had first arrived. Sure it still looked completely sketchy and lacked proper electricity and running water, but it was a lot comfier on the inside. The ground floor was no longer a safety hazard after both he and Kaito changed out the tiles for a smooth cement floor. There were also lights placed throughout the house, though they were solar powered and had to be moved often between outside and the house. He was grateful for any source of light throughout the night, especially since the days were beginning to become shorter.

Though with all of the apparent 'luxuries' Kaito was obtaining for them, they had to have been spending quite a lot of money, especially since Kaito had stopped giving him leftovers. It was concerning, mainly because Kaito had been going out almost every night to do favours for others. The boy had previously stated that he really didn't like doing them, so it made Ginzo feel a little guilty that Kaito was getting extra money. Especially since it was more for his own comfort than anything else. Kaito was looking a bit strained these days as well, always yawning or occasionally favouring a leg or wincing. Whatever those favours were, they were apparently taking a toll on the boy.

He headed back into the house, it was early morning still and Kaito hadn't woken up yet to his knowledge. Kaito was sleeping in more and more, meaning that Ginzo had to occasionally do some of Kaito's tasks like prepping meals. He didn't mind though, the boy was working himself harder than most adults did. As long as their food stores were stocked, Kaito could sleep in whenever he wanted to. Children shouldn't be working as hard as he is.

"Oi, Kaito" He called through the doorway of their shared room. Kaito rolled over, muttering a few incomprehensible words before snuggling back under the blanket. They'd gotten a mattress for a new double bed instead of two singles because it fit better in the room. Neither of them had a problem with sharing since they were both small enough that they rarely ever disturbed each other at night. Though Ginzo occasionally wondered how Kaito had managed to even get the mattress all the way from a store to their location. When he had asked, the boy had just smiled and told him that it was a secret. The cheeky bastard.

He frowned, stepping into the room, normally Kaito would wake up after being called. He peered at Kaito's sleeping face, wondering if the other was just faking it to mess with him "You should probably get up Kaito" The inspector stated, giving the blanket a little tug. Maybe the movement would wake up.

Indigos drowsily blinked open as the boy curled up tighter beneath the blanket "Keibu?" He asked sleepily, unable to hold back a yawn. Was it morning already? It felt like he'd only just went to sleep minutes ago. Maybe he shouldn't have done that extra favour last night. The pay had been too good for him to deny though.

Ginzo smirked "Took you long enough" He huffed in mock annoyance. Kaito actually looked even younger while half asleep. Maybe that was because the boy wasn't awake enough to project his intended image onto himself "I figured that you'd be upset if you ended up sleeping any longer" Ginzo breathed as he glanced at his watch, it was past 10am. Kaito had gotten it for him when he'd asked for one.

The boy stifled another yawn before rubbing his eyes, he then glanced out the window to check the sunlight levels "Thanks" He replied, voice still laced with sleep. He needed to check up on some of the cure's results today, he was hopeful with the latest trial. He slipped out of the bed, though this time he lacked most of his usual grace. Maybe he should stay home tonight and rest.

Ginzo raised a brow as he watched the boy stumble slightly, that was new. Kaito was usually quite graceful, even right after waking up. It was odd to see him slightly frazzled "You okay?" He inquired.

Kaito wobbled a bit on his feet before sagging to the ground with a pained hiss. Okay, he really shouldn't have taken that last offer. Ginzo quickly knelt by his side, eyes wide "Yeah, just sore" Kaito smiled, not really paying any attention to him.

The inspector paled when he spotted a suspicious bruise just under Kaito's neckline "Is that a hickey?!" He gasped, horrified.

Notes:

Ginzo has a new mission...

Chapter 23: Chapter 22 Horrifying Truth

Notes:

Written September 29 2019
Posted on Wattpad December 26 2019
Posted here March 6 2020

Chapter Text

Kaito paled, all traces of sleepiness suddenly rushing out of his system as he quickly slapped his left hand over the offending mark. Shit, he'd been too tired last night to make sure he'd properly covered himself up. He met Ginzo's horrified gaze with one of confusion. It was kinda hard to fake the expression "No?" He inwardly cursed when his statement came out sounding more like a question instead.

The inspector's eyes blazed with fury as he forcefully grabbed Kaito's left hand and moved it away from the boy's neck to get a better look "Don't you lie to me!" He growled, dread pooling in his stomach when he got a better look at the boy's neck. Yes, they were indeed hickeys littering all over Kaito's neck. Ginzo suddenly felt like he was going to be sick at the implications.

Indigos flashed with guilt as Kaito ducked his head "I'm sorry" He breathed, ashamed that he'd broken his word.

The inspector swallowed "Why?" He choked out, not wanting to voice the rest of his question. Had Kaito been caught off guard and raped? Or were his hickeys from something almost as terrible. Had the boy been selling himself for money this whole time? He really wasn't sure which thought he preferred more. Both were horrible.

Kaito seemed to shrink in on himself at the hurt in the inspectors words. This was why he hadn't told Ginzo what his favours entailed in the first place "I needed more money to make this place more liveable" Kaito replied, his voice barely audible. He wrung his hands together nervously "It's a quick and easy way to get money without hurting anybody" Except himself, but that didn't really matter. As long as he was careful not to get drugged and snatched away, it was fine.

Ginzo suddenly grabbed both his shoulders and shook the boy in an attempt to knock some sense into that head of his "Are you an idiot?!" He hissed, horrified that Kaito had been desperate enough to sell himself repeatedly. He grimaced, Kaito had been out almost every night these past few months "Making this place more comfortable to live in is not worth you selling yourself!" He growled before allowing his arms to drop to his sides.

"It is!" Kaito argued, turning his head to face away from the inspector "You're living in these conditions because you're too good of a person to leave me alone!" He looked towards the ground, eyes stinging. He'd manipulated Ginzo into staying with him all because he was lonely and too weak to pass on the chance of having human companionship.

"Kaito..." Ginzo breathed, taken aback. The boy had seemed fine and cheery most of the time he'd been around him. Had Kaito really been feeling guilty and blaming himself this whole time? "It's not your fault we're in  this situation" He scooted a bit closer to the boy, noticing a faint wetness on the other's cheeks "Please don't sell yourself anymore" He pleaded, the thought of Kaito selling himself just so Ginzo could be more comfy was horrifying. People shouldn't be doing something like that, especially children.

Kaito pursed his lip, he really did need that extra money whenever he needed to do a heist "I won't sell myself for 'extra' nice things anymore" He promised "I'll go back to only doing it when I really need to" It was really the only way of getting quick and easy money that he knew of, aside from the ones that would go against his morals.

The inspector grit his teeth, not liking the other's answer "No" He grit out "What if you get someone pregnant or get a disease?!" The boy was way to young to go about messing with adults like that.

The boy quickly shook his head, face covered in a bright red blush "I-" He trailed off, his blush darkening "I'm not capable of getting a girl pregnant yet..." He paused, clearly embarrassed "And my clients are solely male" He buried his face in his hands, mortified that he'd actually admitted that to Ginzo. It wasn't his fault puberty hadn't hit him yet.

Ginzo choked on his own spit at the boy's admission "That's worse!" He spluttered "It's proof that you're too young to be doing that sort of thing!" He insisted. How could he make Kaito stop going out to sell himself?! It wasn't like he could physically stop him or tattle on him. He suddenly remembered his other point "And what about STDs?!" There were so many things Kaito could catch if he wasn't careful. It wasn't worth the risk.

The boy gave a small shrug "I don't go out looking for random people" He breathed "I'm part of a safe club, everyone is screened often" His gaze lowered "And even if I did magically catch something, it probably won't kill me before the Crows anyways" Though if he caught something, he wouldn't be able to sell himself anymore, nor would he want to. He wasn't an asshole who'd purposely spread STD's to people. So then he'd have to find a new source of income.

The inspector bit the inside of his own cheek to stop himself from shaking the boy and yelling at him. Why can't the guy just think about his future for once?! He'd actually prefer if Kaito was stealing for money instead "Isn't there any other way that you could make money for your heists?!" He inquired "And what do your heists even accomplish anyways?" He figured that it probably involved the Crows or something, but he'd never been clearly told the reasons.

Indigos softened "I show up, and the Crows sometimes go after me" He shrugged "It's the only way that I know of that gets them to reveal themselves" He flashed a smile, all teeth "What better what to drag out the Crows than to flash a shiny white target in their face?" He snickered.

Ginzo's breath caught in his throat "This whole time you've been playing target practice with seasoned killers?!" How could he have missed this?!

Chapter 24: Chapter 23

Notes:

Written September 30 2019
Posted on Wattpad December 31 2019
Posted here March 13 2020

Chapter Text

Kaito gave a small smile, wiping away his tear tracks "Don't feel bad that you never noticed" Indigos gleamed "Me and my dad worked hard to make sure you only saw the playful side of the heists" If the inspector had known about the extent of the danger, there was no way that he'd have been able to enjoy the challenges as much as he did. Kaito hadn't wanted to ruin that for him.

Ginzo clenched his fists, he didn't like the information he'd just been given "Why are the Crows even after Kaitou Kid?" He inquired, the boy had said that Kid was a lure of sorts, but he wanted to know why that was. It didn't make sense for a syndicate to be out for the thief's blood without a good reason.

"I'm not completely sure" His gaze darkened slightly "Dad died before he could tell me" He shrugged "But the Crows seem to be more active whenever I go after a larger gem, especially ones that have 'mystical' origins" Kaito replied, it made him wonder why that was. Were they also a group of magic fanatics on top of being killers? That would be weird.

Ginzo's gaze narrowed "So you're not even sure on what you're actually doing?" He breathed, a little surprised. He was used to the boy always have a clear or hidden reason behind his actions. It was odd to think that Kaito didn't really have that, instead he had guesses. He thought for a moment "Do you even have an interest in the things that you steal?"

A wry smile tugged at the boy's lips at the question "A lot of the things I steal are hideous in my opinion" He shrugged "But some of the more simple pieces are kinda pretty" He didn't really understand the appeal of gaudy jewellery that wouldn't match a lot of things. The more simple pieces were a lot more versatile in what they can match with in his opinion.

The inspector snorted "So the jewel thief isn't actually interested in jewels" It was kind of ironic in a way. His gaze flitted over the boy's neck and his mood dampened "I can't let you go out and sell yourself anymore" He breathed. It wasn't right, children shouldn't have to do that, especially for those older than them. It was even worse if they were doing it to gain enough to go up against a criminal syndicate. That was a job for the adults, not the children.

Indigos narrowed at the other's statement "It's not like you can actually stop me" If Ginzo couldn't catch him while he was an adult, there was no way that he could do it now in his current condition.

Ginzo grit his teeth, he wasn't going to lose this argument, he had to win it for both their sakes. For bot Kaito's safety, and his own peace of mind, he had to win it "I know someone who is trustworthy" He started, taking note of how Kaito tensed at his words "He also has a lot of money, even a few billion is nothing but pocket change to him"

"Who?" Kaito breathed, fearful yet at the same time hopeful. He didn't like sleeping with people, it felt weird and was painful.

"Super attendant Hakuba" Ginzo replied, knowing that Kaito probably already knew who he was. The guy was a little too cheery in his opinion, but he was also trustworthy.

Kaito pursed his lips, he wasn't sure "I'll look into him in more depth tonight" He wasn't going to take any chances with this. If they were going to do this, Kaito needed to look into it himself in more depth. He trusted Ginzo's judgement, but one never truly knows when it comes to the Crows. It was better to be safe than sorry.

Ginzo tensed at the mention of Kaito going out tonight "Wait, why don't you rest tonight and look into it tomorrow?" He inquired, remembering how tired the boy had been when he'd tried to wake him up. Kaito needed proper rest.

Kaito thought on it for a few moments before nodding "I guess I would do better work after resting properly" He admitted, stifling a yawn. He was more likely to make mistakes while tired, this morning's events were proof of that fact. If he'd been more rested, he would have remembered to make sure he had hidden all off his hickeys.

The inspector let out a relieved breath, the bags under the other's eyes were very apparent. He now knew that it was because Kaito had probably been getting only a few hours of sleep a night. After doing that for months, it was no wonder he looked tired "Why don't you go back to bed as well" He suggested.

A sleepy smile crossed over Kaito's face as he looked at the other with half lidded eyes "I thought that you didn't want me to sleep during the day" He smirked.

Ginzo scoffed, reaching over to ruffle the other's already messy hair "I'm pretty sure today can be an exception" He grinned. Kaito blushed at the contact, it had been so long since someone had done that to him. The last person to do that had been his dad. His mom had still been alive then, but she kinda broke in the caring mother department after his dad had died. He never blamed her, she'd been hurting a lot then.

"Okay" Kaito replied, his cheeks still slightly red as he grabbed the blanket before crawling back into the bed. It took mere moments for sleep to tug him into its embrace.

Ginzo raised a brow at how quickly the other had fallen asleep. He must have been more tired than he'd initially thought. It was odd that he was still capable of being surprised by Kaito's acting skills. Even after these two months of spending time with him. He cast one final glance at the sleeping form before heading out of the room, he'd eat Kaito's breakfast for his lunch, not wanting to waste any food.

Chapter 25: Chapter 24 Cooking Talk, Pills

Notes:

Written September 30 2019
Posted on Wattpad January 2 2020
Posted here March 20 2020

Chapter Text

Kaito let out a soft whine as he stretched his limbs, savouring the pulling sensation for a few moments longer before loosening his limbs. He felt well rested, though it looked like early morning when he glanced out the window. How long had he been asleep? He knew that it had to have been at least a day since it was earlier than when he'd went back to sleep. He should probably eat something soon before Ginzo grew concerned and decided to bug him again. With his mind made up, he slipped out of the bed, leaving the sheets in a mess. He might just be lazy and go back to bed after eating.

Ginzo was proud when he managed to only jump slightly at Kaito's sudden appearance, the boy was crouched near the floor a few feet away from him. He was nibbling on the boiled egg he'd prepped for him. It'd been interesting to learn how to properly cook eggs over a fire but it was definitely worth it. He was grateful that they'd had cool enough weather for the eggs not to spoil, though they still had to eat them quickly in case the weather changed on them "You look a lot better" Ginzo observed, the boy actually looked healthy. He'd already mostly fixed Kaito's weight problem, but the boy's fatigue must have made him look somewhat unhealthy.

Kaito flashed the inspector a grin "I do feel a lot better" He studied his half eaten boiled egg for a few moments "You got it perfect today" He praised "Not too runny, and not too firm" He'd still eaten the improperly cooked eggs of course, he just hadn't enjoyed them that much.

Ginzo nodded, pleased. The tastier the food, the more likely Kaito was going to ask for more. The boy's bones were no longer scarily visible, instead Kaito looked like he weighed a healthy amount. He was still on the slim side, though the inspector figured that's how it'd always be "Good, I take it you have room for more?" He inquired.

"Yes please" Kaito gave a sheepish smile, he hadn't expected to still be hungry so soon after eating. It seemed like his body really was getting used to eating properly. Ginzo returned the smile and tossed Kaito a boiled egg, still in its shell of course. "Thanks" The boy caught it with ease before starting on removing the shell.

"As long as you eat your fill it's good" The inspector replied, he believed that children shouldn't be hungry, or at least have a proper meal on it's way to being made "I've gotten used to cooking" He had a soft semi on his face "Aoko will be shocked when I return. She's used to takeout or making food herself" He hadn't been that good of a cook, but unlike Aoko, Kaito would eat the food even if it tasted terrible. The boy was a good test subject for practising cooking on, no food was wasted.

"I bet" Kaito smirked "You've made some nasty food before" He snickered, not at all meaning it as an insult. They both knew it was the truth, especially since he'd made Ginzo eat his own cooking as well.

Ginzo grimaced at the memory of some of his creations, yeah, he was glad he'd improved his cooking skills "At least neither of us got food poisoning" He breathed.

The boy nodded, amused "Oh, I forgot to give you this" He tossed a bottle at the inspector who easily caught it. Kaito liked to toss things so he'd grown accustomed to randomly catching things.

He squinted at the clear plastic, inside there were some small blue tablets "What are these?" He inquired.

Indigos narrowed in contemplation for a moment "I guess a good name for those could be that they're stabilisers?" He shrugged, not really sure what to call them "Either way, you should take one every day" He smiled "They won't physically do anything noticeable to you except get your body used to that chemical mix" There wasn't enough substance to them for any sort of reaction "I want to make sure your body won't reject the final cure when it's made" He finished. It would suck if he made the cure, and Ginzo's body ended up rejecting it.

Ginzo shrugged not really understanding, but he'd do as asked. He trusted Kaito not to poison him "Sounds weird, but sure" He popped the bottle open and took one of the pills, thankfully it was one of the capsule ones and not powdery. The powdery ones were often disgusting and occasionally got caught in the back of his throat.

Kaito smirked "I tested them on myself so I know the mix won't kill you" He stated, amused that the other had taken the pill with little fuss.

The inspector blinked at that "But aren't the chemicals meant for my condition?" He frowned "Why would you do that?"

"As I told you, those don't react to anything" He shrugged "And I test all chemicals I use and make, on myself" He blanched "What if I accidentally ended up killing someone?" Murder was one thing he'd never stoop low enough to do. He'd do anything in his power to prevent it. He could use lab animals, but he didn't want to do that to the poor things. That, and he couldn't afford to properly care for them. He was almost always completely sure that something wouldn't kill him when he tested it on himself.

Ginzo swallowed "So you're even going to test the cure on yourself as well?" Wouldn't something chemically dangerous be needed to fix him though? That seemed too risky.

Kaito shook his head "No, the cure will be specifically engendered towards you" He smirked "I know that a lot of people think that I'm crazy" His smirk morphed into a Kid grin "But I'm not that crazy" They were biologically different so it wouldn't make sense for Kaito himself to take it "The pills I gave you are kinda generic" Though taking too much would probably be bad.

Chapter 26: Chapter 25 Tasks, Surprise

Notes:

Written October 7 2019
Posted on Wattpad January 9 2020
Posted here March 27 2020

Chapter Text

When Kaito set off that night, Ginzo would have been lying if he said that he hadn't been at least a little worried when he'd left. What if Kaito didn't deem superintendent Hakuba trustworthy enough? He didn't want Kaito to go back out and start selling himself again. He visibly shivered at the thought. Kaito may be smart, but he was also young, much weaker than a full grown man. What if one of the men had decided to be too rough and had ended up hurting the boy? Or had decided that they wanted to keep Kaito for their own personal use? Kaito was very small for his age, it probably wouldn't have been very hard to sneak away with him. Without clothes the boy wouldn't be able to hide away any tools for escape.

Ginzo shook his head, not wanting to think about that horrible train of though any longer. It was starting to make him feel sick just thinking about how easily the boy could have been lost. That can't happen anymore, Kaito was most likely going to decide that the superintendent was trustworthy enough to financially rely on. Kaito was not going to sell himself anymore, he wouldn't allow it.

Kaito let out a soft yawn as he slipped through the bedroom doorway, they still hadn't gotten around to getting a door for it, and now they probably never would. There had been a lot to look up regarding the superintendent, and it had taken longer to do a precise sweep through his estate. So far he hadn't found anything bad on the guy yet, but that was only the first night. He needed to do a few more searches throughout the week to be absolutely sure. There was too much at stake for him to trust anyone so easily. It wasn't just him who was at risk now, it was also Ginzo and everyone connected to him. He silently slipped into the bed, burying himself snugly beneath the covers. There was still a few hours left before he should get back up.

When Ginzo awoke, he was relieved to see that Kaito had returned safely, he even noted that the boy didn't seem to have any new marks on him. Instead of waking him up, the inspector decided to let Kaito sleep a little longer while he prepared breakfast. He figured that Kaito was probably out too late and needed the extra sleep.

Unsurprisingly, the boy didn't make his way down the stairs until a little past noon. Ginzo raised a curious brow when Kaito sleepily made his way down the stairs, the boy still looked quite ruffled from sleepiness "Your brunch is on the counter" He informed, placing the book he'd been reading on his lap. For some odd reason most of the books that weren't text books were crime dramas. He'd mentioned that fact once but Kaito had just blushed and disappeared for the day. It was kinda funny thinking that Kaitou Kid was actually a big fan of police dramas.

"Thanks" Kaito murmured sleepily as he made his way to the kitchen counter. He smiled gratefully when he spotted the dried meat and lettuce in a bowl, it was topped with some wild berries. It was nice waking up to food that was already made. He quickly finished the odd salad off before heading over towards where the inspector had been.

Ginzo had bookmarked his place in the book and was now nowhere in sight. The other's absence didn't really alarm him, one of the buckets were gone, meaning that Ginzo had gone to collect some more water.

Kaito pondered in thought for a moment before shrugging. He had some time to kill before he needed to check on some of the tests, he might as well help out. He swiftly snatched up a bucket of his own and jogged off to catch up with the inspector. Tasks were more enjoyable when done in the company of another, or at least most tasks were.

At the sound of footsteps approaching from behind, Ginzo glanced back in confusion only to see Kaito right behind him "Aren't you supposed to be in the lab?" He inquired, normally the other didn't accompany him during his trips to fetch water.

Kaito flashed him a bright grin "I have some time to kill before checking on some of the tests" Indigos gleamed "I figured that I might as well help you out a bit until then" He really hated being idle so this was a good way to prevent that, plus it also helped out the inspector. He was grateful that the other had been making good meals for him.

Ginzo nodded in understanding "Thanks" He replied, Kaito really was a good kid. Besides his thieving and prostitution, he was the ideal behaved child. He didn't even pull off any pranks using magic the whole time he's been with Kaito. Though now that he thought about it, that was a little odd. His heart clenched at the boy's possible fate after everything gets settled. He gave the boy beside him a curious glance "I haven't seen you perform any magic" He paused "I kinda figured that you'd be the kind of person to incorporate it into your everyday life" He mused.

Indigos darkened as Kaito lowered his head "I used to love doing magic..." He trailed off for a moment "But I've recently grown to hate it" Magic had prevented him from really getting to know his parents. It was also a tool that he used to commit countless crimes, causing trouble for the police. He glanced at the inspector "I only really use magic outside of heists when I really need to... Other than that I prefer not to use it"

The inspector blinked, a little shocked. He hadn't expected that to be Kaito's answer "But why?" He asked, Kaitou Kid made so many people smile and had helped so many people with his magic. He didn't understand why the person dubbed 'The Magician Under the Moonlight' would hate magic. It just didn't make sense to him.

Chapter 27: Chapter 26

Notes:

Written October 16 2019
Posted on Wattpad January 9 2020
Posted here April 3 2020

Chapter Text

Indigos flashed with sadness at the inspector's question "If my family hadn't known magic, I'm pretty sure that we would have had a more normal life" He replied softly. Maybe neither of his parents would have died and he'd have grown up with friends while going to school "My magic is mainly used for deceit, and I'm sick of lies" He breathed.

The inspector nodded in understanding, that was a good enough reason to hate anything "Well you're doing really well in being truthful" He praised, not really knowing what else to say in response. It didn't seem right for him to attempt to get Kaito to see magic in a different light, the boy knew magic better than he did after all.

Kaito flashed a grateful smile "Thanks, I try" His steps seemed a little more lighter after the praise. Ginzo grinned, the boy was the most truthful person that he's ever met.

They continued the rest of their trek within a comfortable silence, neither male feeling uncomfortable with the lack of words between them. When they reached the river, the inspector couldn't help but smirk at how Kaito rushed to it's clear waters and splashed a bit before filling up his bucket. It was in the odd times like this that Ginzo actually caught the boy acting his age, or sometimes even younger. The childish delight that crossed over Kaito's features when he'd played with the water made Ginzo feel pleased. Kaito deserved to act like a child whenever he wanted to.

Ginzo walked over and filled his own bucket as well before glancing over at the boy. Kaito's playing had ended while he wasn't looking, instead the boy was standing nearby, looking ready to go "You know..." He allowed his voice to trail off a bit before continuing "I really think that I've gained a good amount of strength these last few months" He noted, the activity really was good for building strength.

Indigos gleamed "Hopefully that strength will help you when you return to your original body" He replied. He couldn't help but wonder what condition Ginzo would be in when he turned back. Where would the extra mass come from? Shrinking was one thing, it was easier to destroy than to create, but growing? That seemed a little more dangerous. He'll need to create something that could multiply cells safely, which could take a while. He did not want to give Ginzo cancer after all "Any biological mass you gain is good mass" Kaito nodded before a wry smile tugged at his lips. Indigos gleamed mischievously "Maybe I'll try to fatten you up near the end" Or at least make Ginzo swallow a dangerous amount of vitamins, minerals, carbs, and proteins. Matter can't really build without substances to work with.

Ginzo squinted at Kaito's teasing tone, he felt like he was missing a few facts considering he didn't really understand what the boy was talking about "Can you explain?" He asked, not keen on gaining unhealthy weight. He worked in division 2, he needed to be fit enough to chase criminals.

Kaito hopped over a tree root, managing to not spill a single drop of water "Your body will need more materials to work with if it's to return to normal" He shrugged "Maybe it'll work without a hitch and you'll just end up really malnourished, or maybe not..." He frowned "Your body may also give out if it doesn't have enough to work with..." He didn't like that prospect. Maybe he could create a mega nutrient pill. It'd probably kill most people, but if Ginzo took the antidote shortly after, maybe the increased metabolism and growth would strengthen Ginzo's survival rate.

The inspector winced, that really didn't seem like a great way to go "Well then I'll continue to leave it all up to you" He breathed, Kaito really was putting in a lot of thought into the cure. It was something that he was immensely grateful for "I trust you to give me the greatest chance of survival" He glanced at Kaito, he really hoped the boy succeeded. He knew the boy well enough by now that Kaito would never forgive himself if he accidentally killed him.

"I'll do my best" Kaito affirmed, indigos blazing with determination. Ginzo truly believed him "I've got some theories already to somewhat fix your mass problem for when the time comes" He replied, now itching to get into the labs to start more tests. There was so much he still had to do, even excluding his new plans and ideas.

Ginzo snorted as he watched the boy pick up his pace, travelling a little faster and farther than him "You usually do" He breathed as Kaito swiftly left his line of sight. He smirked, Kaito was excitable about the strangest things. He glanced down at his own bucket, at least he now has one less trip to make today.

When he made it back to the house, Kaito was of course nowhere in sight. He figured that the boy was most likely down in that hidden underground lab of his. He didn't know how to enter said lab, but he at least knew that it was probably underground. He contemplated pestering Kaito about giving the lab better ventilation but though better of it. He wouldn't pester him about upgrades until they had a safe source of money. The boy's previous source was not safe in Ginzo's opinion. No, it was downright dangerous. Kaito was extremely lucky.

He really, really hoped with all of his might that Kaito would approve of the superintendent. He didn't really know any other people who had money that they could easily spare without suspicion. He'd been more interested in getting to know the people he worked with instead of those higher up in command. It had made more sense at the time, but now he was sort of regretting that he hadn't made more powerful allies.

Ginzo didn't really know what he'd do if Kaito insisted on continuing to sell himself for money, he truly didn't know.

Chapter 28: Chapter 27 Caught!

Notes:

Written October 22 2019
Posted on Wattpad January 16 2020
Posted here April 10 2020

Chapter Text

Kid silently slipped through the Hakuba estate's windows, he'd already checked the superintendent's workplace and frequently visited places. Now it was time to thoroughly check the guy's home. Since he was technically breaking the law, he'd decided to suit up as Kid but had chosen his stealth colours instead of the usual flashy white. He didn't really like black, so a dark grey replaced white while a softer shade of grey replaced blue and the dark grey appeared once more to replace the red. They were less eye catching colours that at the same time blended in and refrained from looking too suspicious, and even if he were spotted, the colours weren't familiar enough for anyone to immediately think 'Kaitou Kid'. He wasn't trying to be in the spotlight right now, so his iconic suit had to be switched out.

The superintendent was currently working in his office, which meant that Kid was all alone within the luxurious mansion, much to his pleasure. He could take all the time that he needed to scope out all of the man's hidden secrets. A confident smirk played upon the thief's lips as he soundlessly crept through the shadows, just because he was alone, it didn't mean that he should forgo caution. That was how you got caught after all.

He checked the places with the least dust first before checking the more dustier areas, and was shockingly pleased when after about 3 hours of meticulously searching he hadn't yet found anything too bad. The worst thing that he'd managed to find was a few adult magazines, which was fine. None of them featured young children so he'd just placed the magazines back into their hiding places. He'd seen worse in real life so it hadn't really fazed him. Though he may one day use his knowledge to tease the guy if the proper opportunity presented itself.

"Why are you here?" Kid felt proud when he'd managed to stop himself from yelping in surprise, instead only his muscled had tensed. He placed the most recent magazine down and slowly turned around to see the speaker, making sure that not an ounce of nervousness showed within his actions. Indigos flashed with momentary surprise, it was a young boy, maybe a year or two older than him, he couldn't really tell. He didn't look full Japanese so it was hard to tell.

Kid gave a lazy shrug, his movements non-threatening "Just looking around" He replied lazily, noting the boy's unique features. The boy's eyes were a pretty shade of gold and his hair was a nice blond. He'll be quite the looker when he grew up.

The boy frowned, looking up at the taller male's face, it was annoying that both the shadows and a monocle were hiding the intruder's features. His golden gaze narrowed in thought, the other didn't seem to be worried or with ill intent "I highly doubt that you broke in just to look at my father's porn collection" The boy drawled.

Kid couldn't help but snicker at the other's joke, he shook his head in amusement "I may tell you if you reveal how you found me" He offered, was this the superintendent's son? The guy didn't have any family listed within his records, so why was this boy here?

The boy's gaze narrowed, usually by now a thief would have either tried to attack or flee. This intruder was odd  "I set heat sensors around father's porn collections" He paused for a moment "I like to know when I should avoid certain areas" His father often tried to be subtle, but in reality he wasn't. He liked knowing when he shouldn't wander around or when he should use headphones. 

The thief nodded in understanding, he hadn't expected heat sensors to be within someone's living space. He flashed his trademark Kid grin before his clothing was suddenly replaced with his trademark Kid suit. He knelt down to the shocked boy's level, leaving a chaste kiss on the back of his hand. This boy seemed like quite the smart cookie "Would you believe me if I said that I only wanted to look into your father's secrets?" He inquired.

With an embarrassed scowl, the boy quickly took his hand back. He recognized that outfit from the media, the intruder was Kaitou Kid. He let some of his tension fade a bit, Kid was always non-violent and never really stole anything. He wasn't in any real danger, maybe he could learn a bit about the odd thief "My father doesn't have any unforgivable secrets" He replied "I made sure to search every inch of this place in detail after being placed in his care. If what he'd been told about Kid was true, the thief probably had some ulterior motives. That was apparently always the case whenever Kid did something unusual.

Kid tilted his head slightly as he appraised the other "You're acting like a little detective" Those gold eyes were highly observant, more so than most adults. His own were similar to the boy's in that way.

The boy nodded, looking pleased that someone as smart as Kaitou Kid had noticed "Indeed I am" He stated "Hakuba Saguru, it's been interesting meeting the number one suspect for the murder of Nakamori Ginzo" Gold watched the other's expression, intrigued when surprise momentarily flashed over the thief's features. So his deduction was correct, Kid was innocent in at least that matter.

"So your father is trustworthy..." He mused, Saguru's existence complicated things, what if asking the superintendent for help endangered him? More so, why hadn't he ever heard of Saguru? It was as if the boy had popped up out of nowhere.

Saguru observed the phantom thief who seemed to be lost in thought, he had no doubt that if he tried to capture him that the thief would escape easily. That was the main reason why he hadn't tried to capture Kid once he'd found out. At first it was for his own safety, but then when it had been revealed that the thief was Kid, he knew that the thief was too skilled. Questioning the thief felt like a better use of his time.

Chapter 29: Chapter 28 Meow

Summary:

The title means nothing...

Notes:

Written October 22 2019
Posted on Wattpad January 23 2020
Posted here April 17 2020

Chapter Text

This thief intrigued him, Saguru would have never thought that he'd ever feel unthreatened while in the same room as an international criminal. Yet here he was just having a chat with said international criminal "Why do you need to know whether or not my father is trustworthy?" He inquired, narrowing his gaze a bit. He did not want his father to become a criminal.

Veiled indigos sharpened "I'm unfortunately unable to relay the details" He needed to affirm that Saguru was trustworthy as well, or at least knew how to keep a secret. Saguru may seem very smart like himself, but that didn't really mean that he was trustworthy. Ginzo and his daughter's safety was too important to randomly trust Saguru's word. He appraised the other again before turning towards the window "Don't tell anybody about my visit and you may eventually know the details" He glanced back "At the very least, I should inform you that being involved with me is dangerous" He paused "And you speaking may also endanger both your father, and yourself" He warned before slipping through the window and into the cover of darkness. White was swiftly replaced by his grey toned outfit. If Saguru spoke, it meant that his word wasn't to be trusted. If not, maybe he'll still consider asking the superintendent for financial help.

Ginzo raised a curious brow at the sight of a grey toned Kid, it was odd seeing him like that after seeing Kid's real self these past few months "I guess it was kinda stupid of me to think that you did most of your work in white or disguised" He mused as Kid removed both hat and monocle.

Kaito quirked a brow, an amused smile playing on his lips "No more stupid than announcing my intent to steal and doing so while wearing white" He joked.

The inspector snorted at the response, Kaito had  point "So what are your thoughts about the superintendent?" He inquired a little nervous, it was both a simple, and important question.

Kaito shrugged, removing his coat and tie "It all seemed fine until I got spotted by his son" Indigos observed the inspector for his reaction.

Ginzo's brows knit together in confusion "He has a son? How old?" The superintendent wasn't married and never really shown any interest in starting a family.

The boy's extra limbs suddenly disappeared and his clothing changed into everyday clothes "Around my age, Hakuba Saguru" He paused in thought "Or maybe a little older, he looked to be only half Japanese" He replied.

The inspector frowned, how had he hid the fact that he had a son for so long? "That's really odd..."

Kaito nodded in agreement "I'm going to look up some information on Hakuba" He stated "If he's not trustworthy as well, we can't get financial aid from his father" At Ginzo's confused look he explained "Hakuba seems to be very intelligent, maybe even more so than his father" He replied, it had been interesting meeting someone around his own age with that intelligence "If he spills that I was looking into his father, I won't trust him with our secrets" He breathed, Ginzo nodded in understanding but was still quite concerned, indigos softened "I got a good vibe from him, so it should be fine" He was just being extra cautious.

Ginzo swallowed "I hope so" Kaito was a good judge of character right? So it should hopefully be okay.

The boy knelt down and gave Ginzo a hug, touched by the other's almost palpable concern "Thank you for worrying about me" He breathed before releasing the other "If this doesn't pan out, maybe I could look into others with money that may listen" He gave Ginzo a reassuring pat on the shoulder. Normally he wouldn't do that, but the inspector's concern seemed like it could tear him apart. He also didn't want the other to do anything rash to prevent Kaito from selling himself out. Ginzo was sadly prone to rashness when his emotions were high.

The inspector noted the honesty in the other's eyes and nodded "Maybe that Suzuki guy may listen?" He inquired "He likes fame and would probably love being part of the take down of a criminal syndicate"

Kaito nodded "As long as he kept quiet about everything until it was safe it'd be fine..." He trailed off, he didn't quite like the idea as much as asking Saguru's father for help. The superintendent had a lot less eyes on him than Suzuki "Let's just hope that it doesn't come to that" He breathed.

They both carried on with their schedules like normal for two more weeks, during that time Kaito had searched up Saguru and had listened around for any indications that the blond had spilled the secrets. The information that he'd found on Saguru had been interesting.

Apparently his father hadn't even known about him until just recently. Saguru was the result of a one night stand in London England and had been raised there until his mother had passed away in a car crash. His father had then been informed of Saguru's existence and was now in the middle of adding both of their documents stating that they're family together.

The information had sort of appeased Kaito's wariness. The superintendent hadn't been hiding a secret child for some reason, the paperwork just hadn't yet been updated the last time he'd checked. It made them seem a little more trustworthy in his eyes.

"Hey Keibu" Ginzo glanced over in confusion, Kaito was suited up as Kid again "If I don't return tonight, a dove will give you pre-written instructions on what to do next"

"What?!" The inspector gaped, it sounded like Kaito was about to go and do something dangerous.

Kid winked at him "I'm just going to speak with our potential financial aid" He soothed "If things go south I don't want to lead anyone back here" Caution was important, it's what kept him alive so far. He wasn't going to abandon it.

Ginzo felt his shoulders relax at Kid's reassurances "Good luck" He hoped this ended well.

Chapter 30: Chapter 29 Lazy Chat

Notes:

Written October 29 2019
Posted on Wattpad January 30 2020
Posted here April 17 2020

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Kid slipped through a side window of the Hakuba estate with the same agility and ease as last time. It had been a little odd since he'd been expecting a bit more security than last time. Though the lack of additional security was a good sign in his book, it meant that the younger Hakuba hadn't told his father about the estate's uninvited visitor. It was around midnight, an ideal time in his opinion, yet that also meant that it would be an hour or so until the superintendent returned home. That was fine though, he'd arrived early for the sole reason of checking out the aspiring detective, it had been interesting to meet someone close to his level who was around the same age as himself. If it wasn't for the blond's obvious lack of experience, he'd probably have maybe even allowed the other in on the big details.

With a wry smile tugging on his lips, the thief went over towards a known porn stash in an attempt to trigger the silent alarms. Once that was dealt with, he took a seat on one of the many soft chairs within the spare room. A few minutes later, Saguru crept into the room. His golden gaze was filled with curiosity befitting of a detective.

"You're back..." Saguru breathed, having not expected to see the phantom thief once again up close. He'd thought that with whatever business the thief had with his father, he wouldn't pay much attention to Saguru himself.

Kid nodded, a wide grin on his face "I wanted to talk to you a bit before your father returned" It was a rare chance in itself so he didn't want to waste it.

Saguru blinked, having not expected the answer. His golden gaze then narrowed a bit as he took a few steps back "Why would an international jewel thief be interested in me?" He shouldn't be on the radar of someone big like Kid "You're not a pedophile are you?" He asked, his tone accusatory.

The thief choked on his spit, the shear unexpectedness of the question startling him "Oh gross no!" He'd been accused of many things in his life, but being called a pedophile was a first "Why would you even ask that?!"

The blond nodded, reassured by the response "I just find it a bit weird that someone like myself has caught your interest" He replied with a shrug, though it was kind of flattering that the thief had acknowledged him.

Kid had to bite his tongue to cut off his instinctual reply, the other's words did make sense after all. To everyone except for Ginzo, he was thought to be an adult male even though he was far from that age. So instead of flipping out on Saguru, he tilted his hat and gave a sharp smirk "I find interest in intelligence" He paused "But do not worry a phantom thief such as myself has no time for relationships of that sort, my interest is strictly curiosity" His grin softened "For it's not often that I can speak with others on a higher intellectual level" He finished.

Saguru couldn't help but find himself agreeing with the sentiment, he raised a brow "Even if said intellectual is as young as myself?"

The thief gave a shrug "Age means nothing when it comes to intelligence, the younger people are often dismissed due to their age" He breathed. That very fact is why nobody would ever suspect him of being Kaitou Kid without being given concrete proof.

An appraising gleam flickered within gold "If you weren't a thief, I am quite sure that we would get along" It was hard when those around you weren't as smart as him.

Veiled indigos softened "I'm afraid that I can't go changing my thieving ways just yet" Maybe in another life where he wasn't a thief they could hang out together as friends, but in this life it was impossible without boundaries.

The blond nodded, a little disappointed "That's for the best I suppose" He sighed "I'm heading back to England for an unknown amount of time" He glanced out the window "Your warning seemed sincere, and I'm not experienced enough to be of any use" He replied, he knew when to back down. He'd never solved a case before, so for him to try to jump onto whatever case Kid was bringing in would be stupid.

Kid grimaced "I'm sorry, I seem to have basically kicked you out of your home..." While Saguru would be safer there, it still didn't feel right.

Saguru shook his head "No, it's fine, I don't know my father that well but I've met the person he's hired to care for me" A small smile played on his lips "Baaya seems like a good person" He oddly enough had felt more comfortable around her than his own father.

The thief flashed Saguru a genuine smile as he leaned over to ruffle the other's hair "Maybe by the time you return to Japan you'll have already become a great detective" The potential within Saguru was great and he really hoped that the other would allow it to take form, he had a very promising future ahead of him.

Saguru felt his cheeks warm, that was amazing praise coming from Kaitou Kid. He was oddly enough starting to respect the odd thief, he now sort of understood why the Kid task force usually stood up for him "Maybe I could try to catch you" He stated, curious to how the other would respond.

"It may be too late by then" At the other's confused look he explained "The things that I need your father's help in are connected to my thievery. My hope is that by the time my problem is settled, there will be no need for Kaitou Kid" He'll either be in jail, or dead. Either way Saguru wouldn't be able to chase him.

The blond pursed his lips at that "I've always figured that you had some sort of agenda outside of just pulling off your heists" He breathed, he'd seen the patterns.

Notes:

This will not be Hakukai

Chapter 31: Chapter 30 The Superintendent

Notes:

Written November 2 2019
Posted on Wattpad February 6 2020
Posted here April 24 2020

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

When Hakuba Danashi saw that one of the lights were on within the house, he didn't really think much of it. He's quickly learned that his son often liked to stay up and read. He had no problem with it, so long as it didn't negatively affect Saguru's studies or health. So to say that Danashi was surprised to see both his son and Kaitou Kid sitting on a couch, drinking tea together would be an understatement.

"Sa-" Danashi stuttered, not really sure on what he should do in this situation. It wasn't likely that he'd be able to catch the white thief. Kid flashed a wide grin, finding the older's confusion to be highly amusing.

Saguru let out a soft sigh as he placed his tea down onto an end table, he'd been enjoying his chat with Kid and had been hoping that his father would stay late in the station "Father" He nodded in greeting "I don't know what offer Kid has but I would advise you to take it into consideration" He stated, glancing at the phantom thief "Maybe after you will understand why I suddenly wanted to go back to London" He hadn't told his father why he'd wanted to leave, instead he'd just requested for it to happen.

Kid inwardly snickered at the superintendent's confused expression as the younger Hakuba got up from his seat and left the room. Once Saguru had left he tipped his hat at Danashi "As your son said, I have a request that I'd like you to hear" He breathed.

Danashi's gaze narrowed at the thief, he knew that the other could easily disappear from here if he wished to "It seems odd that you would come to me of all people with a request" It was odd, his son had seemed perfectly at ease while in the presence of the other.

The thief nodded "I understand your concerns" He agreed, the superintendent didn't get to where he was by being an idiot "But before I say more, I need to warn you of the possible dangers there will be if you were to heed my request" He paused momentarily before continuing "Are you willing to risk your life and those you care about to help others in need?" He asked "Your son should be safe either way if he leaves for London soon" He affirmed, getting that bit of possible confliction out of the way.

The superintendent studied the thief, he'd heard that Kid often helped the police to take down more dangerous criminals. This was probably going to be one of those moments "I became an officer so that I could help protect others" He easily replied, that, and he'd been heavily influenced by his own father.

Veiled indigos darkened "There will be no going back once you know" He warned "The situation is more dangerous than you could ever imagine" He met the other's gaze "If you speak of this to anyone, you'll most likely end up dead soon after" He licked his lips "And both myself an innocent may possibly die as well. While Ginzo was technically a police inspector, he was still seen as an innocent in regards to the Crow's schemes. He was someone who shouldn't have been involved as he was.

Both of Danashi's brows raised at that. The way Kid was talking, made it seem like there was a criminal group or possibly something even larger than that "If you're speaking the truth, then I will keep my word" He knew better than to give up the chance to take down dangerous criminals due to not wanting to work with a harmless criminal.

Kaito swallowed, this was it. Everything would either all go according to plan, or he'd need to bolt and meet up with Ginzo somewhere else "When this is all over" He lowered his head "I plan to turn myself in" He removed both his hat and monocle, meeting the older's gaze. To be trusted, one needs to offer a show of trust in return "So please don't try to trick me into getting caught, there would be no point, and it would needlessly endanger everyone involved.

Danashi gaped, having not expected the elusive thief to give away his identity so easily. He took a few steps forwards and tugged at the other's face and freezing when he felt real skin instead of latex. After a few moments his gaze narrowed, Kid's head was too small for his body "You're proportions are off" He stated in confusion, Kid's face was that of a child.

Kaito gave him a small smile, his heart hammering within his chest. He was set to bolt if he needed to "I'm actually a child, but I'd rather not remove my false limbs here" Nobody would believe Danashi if he decided to capture him. Indigos glimmered with both veiled fear and open amusement "Nakamori-Keibu was confused at first as well" He offered, observing the other's reaction.

The superintendent started "He's alive?" He asked softly, he'd disappeared so long ago that the search for him had been long given up on. It was pleasantly surprising that the other was in fact alive.

The boy nodded "Yes, he's been living with me" Indigos sharpened "It's too dangerous for it to get out that he's still alive, please act like he's dead whenever you're questioned about him" He didn't want Ginzo to die.

Danashi looked into Kaito's eyes and nodded, he didn't doubt the sincerity in the other's gaze. Kid was telling the truth. The fact that Ginzo was apparently living with the thief also said a few things about the situation. He knew that Ginzo more than anyone had wanted to capture Kaitou Kid, so for him to agree to living with said thief, said a lot. Danashi took in a breath "Explain everything to me, I need to know what I've agreed to do" He had a small inkling feeling that he wouldn't like what he'd hear. After all, why would a child dress up as an adult thief?

Notes:

Hakuba's father seemed kinda friendly in the anime... I don't know why most fics have him as a jerk...

Chapter 32: Chapter 31 The Request

Notes:

Written November 3 2019
Posted on Wattpad February 6 2020
Posted here May 1 2020

Chapter Text

Danashi didn't really know what to say in response once Kid had finished telling his tale about the international criminal syndicate. On one hand it was highly impressive that one as young as Kid had managed to survive so far, on the other it was horrifying to know that all this had been happening right under the police force's nose. He swallowed and looked at the young thief with a new light "How do you want me to help?" He asked, why was Kid coming to him now of all times for help?

Kaito grimaced at the question, he'd neglected to tell the other that Ginzo had shrunk "Keibu wasn't pleased when he found out how I was earning money for the both of us" He replied, not wanting to explain further. He glanced towards the ground "Keibu suggested that you were someone who could potentially lend us the funds we need until the Crows are caught"

The superintendent frowned, so they needed money? Kid had previously stated that he didn't really exist within the system and hadn't wanted to make dangerous bonds with people "What did you do for money?" If Kaitou Kid didn't keep the priceless gems he stole, he doubted that the thief would steal small things for petty money.

"I was selling myself for money" Kaito replied softly, feeling a little ashamed but not as ashamed as most people would feel. He'd had a very good reason for doing that. He wrung his hands together nervously "I overdid it and Keibu noticed and confronted me" He let out a small sigh "I don't know what he'll do if I don't stop" Ginzo was very rash at times when it came to his emotions after all "But I can't stop unless we have enough money to live with" He didn't want to become a real thief.

Many possible bad scenarios passed through Danashi's mind, he'd been a cop for most of his life. He knew that there were so many ways that Kid's plan could have gone wrong. He let out a weary breath "So if I fund both you and Nakamori-keibu's expenses, in the long run these Crows will be taken down?"

Kaito nodded "Yes, and you'll either be locking me up in jail or burying me" He really wasn't sure which route seemed better to him. If he was sent to jail he'd have to keep living with his regrets and hurt, but if he was killed, he'd at least be able to rest. He wouldn't kill himself though, and he also would fight his damn hardest to survive. He owed Ginzo at least that, the fame would boost the inspector's career. Indigos gleamed "I already promised Keibu that I wouldn't run" He stated "He will be the one who gets the fame regarding my capture"

There was something within the boy's eyes that he didn't like, but he just didn't know what it was "Then I guess that I'd be both a fool and a horrible cop to refuse you" Kaitou Kid was known for keeping his word, and with how he now knew what the thief looked like, he doubted that the other would go back on his word. He could also somewhat understand why Ginzo had stayed with the boy, the inspector had always been a softy when it came to children.

Kaito felt his shoulders sag in relief, he wouldn't have to let himself be used by older men anymore. It had been necessary at the time, but he'd still hated it "Thank you" He replied, accidentally letting out a bit too much of his relief into his words. He bit his lip "How will the money be sent?" He inquired.

Danashi walked over towards a very ugly painting of white tulips on the wall "I know that it's a common hiding place" He stated as he removed the painting, revealing a safe "But it works for sparing some excess funds" He punched in the code, aware that Kid was watching him "Take as much as you need to live comfortably in at least a small apartment" He replied, he didn't really need this cash anyway.

The boy blinked in shock "No, that's way too much" He and the inspector had been living just fine in their hidden house in the woods. He'd only been expecting enough to live off of and a bit extra for the occasional heist.

The older shook his head "Boy, I don't need this money at all" He held out a large wad of cash "Think of this as a thank you for keeping Nakamori-keibu safe and for your help with capturing those Crows and other criminals" He smirked "With this you can afford to use disguises often in order to rent out a place" With how Kid had previously spoken, he'd figured that they probably weren't living in a place on the electrical grid. False identities would have been needed to make the required payments.

Kaito slowly reached out and accepted the cash, holding it close to his chest. He really was allowed to live in a place with heat? "I-" His voice cracked slightly, he didn't know what to do with all of the unfamiliar emotions rushing into him "Thank you!" He choked out before bolting out the window, he didn't want to react to these new emotions while in front of the other.

"More money will be in the same place" He called out "I'd also like to speak with Nakamori-keibu at some point" He added before turning off the lights, Kid had surely heard him. Maybe he'd even learn the boy's name next time. His lips turned downwards at the thought of the boy, he'd looked so vulnerable for a split second before he'd made his escape. Poor boy, he couldn't even imagine what had caused the boy to act like that.

Kaito silently cursed himself for his rudeness as he leaned against the upper branches of a tree. He then glanced down at the cash still clenched in his fists. Was it really okay for him to be selfish enough to use the money for an apartment?

Chapter 33: Chapter 32 Selfish?

Notes:

Written November 4 2019
Posted on Wattpad February 13 2020
Posted here May 8 2020

Chapter Text

Kaito could feel himself trembling slightly as he approached his and the inspector's current residence, he didn't even know why he was even trembling. He just was. He decided to ignore that for now as he silently slipped into the house, swiftly removing everything Kid related so that he just looked like himself. He figured that the weird trembling will fade on it's own, so he just headed upstairs to their shared room.

Ginzo hadn't really gone to sleep that night, instead he'd decided that he'd wait for Kaito to return. What the boy had set out to do was quite risky in its own way, so he wanted to know the results as soon as possible. Even if he had tried to sleep, he highly doubted that it would come to him so easily.

The first thing that the inspector noticed when the boy had walked through the entrance to their shared room was that Kaito seemed a bit off. The way indigos were wide, yet slightly dazed was just as concerning as the visible trembling that slightly shook the other's frame. Just what had happened? Surely the meeting couldn't have turned out that bad right? "Oi, you okay?" He called.

Kaito blinked, suddenly snapping out of whatever trance he'd been in "Yeah, I'm fine" He hadn't been injured or anything, he glanced down at himself. He didn't even look roughed up, so why was Ginzo asking if he was okay?

Ginzo frowned "You're shaking and you looked a little out of it a few moments ago" His words trailed off as he spotted the wad of cash clenched tightly in the boy's fist "So he agreed?" There was no way that Kaito would have stolen the money.

The boy nodded, loosening his grip "Yeah, he offered way more than I was intending to ask for" Should he really have taken so much money on their first meeting? It still felt wrong to have accepted so much money.

The inspector's brows knit together in confusion, the boy wasn't acting like someone who's plans had succeeded "What are you all hung up on?" He inquired, Kaito seemed almost timid.

Kaito pursed his lips "Superintendent Hakuba offered a lot and told me to use it for an apartment..." He'd have heating and easy water all of the time, it seemed almost too good to be true "He also stated that I can fetch as much money as I want whenever I want..." He'd run away before he'd been able to properly question the other's reasoning. Sure Danashi didn't need the money, but most people wouldn't have been that generous.

Ginzo felt excitement fill him at the prospect of living in a normal house, even if it was an apartment "You're talking as if there's something wrong with that" He stated, confused. Why did Kaito sound so hesitant at the idea of living in better conditions.

The boy's shoulders sagged, indigos downcast "Is it even right to use the money for an apartment?" It seemed too selfish, the money instead could be used to upgrade his lab to better work on Ginzo's cure. That way he wouldn't have to take as much money from the superintendent.

"Kaito, didn't you just say that he told you to use the money for that?" The inspector breathed, not really understanding.

"Yeah..." He paused for a moment "It just doesn't feel right to give myself that luxury" He'd been living just fine without something nice like that. It just felt strange to even think about it, both strange and selfish.

Ginzo's gaze narrowed "That isn't a luxury" He scolded "It's a necessity that you've been living without" God the boy's values were messed up if he thought that living in a building that had both heat and water was a luxury where they were. Especially since they were at least near Tokyo and Kaito himself was a child. The confliction of Kaito's face made the inspector feel like he had just kicked a puppy, he let out a breath "Okay, without thinking about whether you deserve it or not, answer my question" Kaito gave him a confused glance "Do you want to live in an apartment?" Kaito bit his lip, immediately feeling guilty that his automatic thought was 'yes'. Ginzo frowned "Well?"

"I do" The boy muttered softly, not meeting the other's gaze. He wanted the chance to at least live a little bit like a normal person before everything ended, but did he really deserve it? He didn't feel like he did.

The inspector's gaze softened as he let out a relieved breath "Then that's settled" He stated "Your next task is to find us a nice place to live" He paused, suddenly having an idea come to mind "And don't find a scrappy place" He smirked "I'm going to have to live there as well you know" Kaito had exhausted himself by repeatedly selling himself so that Ginzo would live more comfortably, so hopefully his words would encourage the boy to find a good place. He really wished that Kaito would care about himself as much as he did for others. Hell, he'd even be satisfied if he cared half as much about himself.

The boy grimaced, how could he have been so selfish in getting caught up in his own conflict? He should have thought about how an apartment would be better for Ginzo. Instead he'd forgotten about how it would affect the other "I'll do my best in finding a place that will suit us" He replied softly. At least the inspector wouldn't have to face the winter chill.

Ginzo nodded his approval "Good, and make sure that there's two bedrooms" He didn't mind rooming with Kaito, but if they had the money, it was better to give the boy his own space. He'd shared almost everything here with Ginzo, so he wanted him to have something besides the lab that he could call his own. That would be a nice step towards making the other think more about himself. The room wouldn't affect Ginzo so Kaito could do whatever he wanted to it

Chapter 34: Chapter 33

Notes:

Written November 7 2019
Posted on Wattpad February 17 2020
Posted here May 15 2020

Chapter Text

Ginzo glanced down at his watch, the delivery people were late. Shortly after Kaito had found an ideal apartment, the boy had helped the inspector get into contact with Danashi. Though of course he'd been disguised, the inspector was now sporting the same shade of brown hair as Kaito, and was also given a slightly messier haircut. Kaito himself had put in contact lenses so that his eyes were less indigo and more blue, indigo was technically a shade of blue, but for some reason the boy had wanted his odd eye colour to be masked. Though Kaito really only had to wear his adult disguise whenever they were dealing with papers.

The names they were to take on were Kuroba Kite and Kuroba Ginga whenever they were near anybody who weren't in the 'Know'. Kite would be the father while Ginga the son. Ginzo had chosen the last name as he'd thought about the clover on Kid's monocle, while Kaito had chosen the first names. The first names were close enough to their normal names so that Ginzo would be able to catch himself if he ever started saying the wrong name. Though when he'd asked Kaito why the boy not just be called 'Kaito', the other had told him that he'd decided that 'Kaito' would be his true name. That reasoning had pleased Ginzo to no end, it meant that Kaito was thinking at least a little bit about the future.

The reason why Ginzo was currently glancing at his watch with unease was due to the fact that he was currently doing something behind Kaito's back. Kaito had gone off earlier to work in his lab, a move which the inspector had expected. Ginzo and Danashi had teamed up somewhat and had already chosen nice beds for each of their rooms, the two had talked a bit and had both came to the same conclusion. Kaito was likely to just pick out a cheap and used bed for himself. It had actually surprised Ginzo when Danashi had actually agreed, the boy really was good at charming people.

When he spotted people carrying the two single sized beds down the hallway he let out a relieved breath, Kaito was less likely to refuse his own bed if he came back to it already set up "Please set them up in each bedroom" He stated, it didn't really matter which room got which since both beds were literally the same. They'd also already signed papers so that an adult wasn't needed to sign on delivery. That would have been awkward since it had been decided that it was too dangerous for Ginzo to meet up with Danashi in person.

It had taken less than half an hour for the beds to be set up, so now all Ginzo had to do was wait for Kaito's return. Today was their first day leasing said apartment yet the boy had spent less than five minutes in total within it. He'd even bathed in the river instead of waiting to have a warm shower.

He frowned, maybe this change was too much too soon for the boy? He had apparently been living in that old house for years after all. But that didn't really make that much sense did it? Kaito was also Kaitou Kid, an elusive thief that was known for being very adaptable. But then changing heist plans was a lot different than changing living spaces.

Kaito let out a small sigh as he glanced up at the apartment, he didn't really think that he deserved to live in it but there wasn't really anything that he could do about it. He wouldn't dare to force Ginzo to stay at his old home, nor would he leave the other all alone. It was now dark out since he'd stayed in the lab for as long as he could, though now his head hurt since he'd been down there for too long. Stupid fumes.

Instead of entering the building and using the elevator, Kaito opted to scale the building instead. It was too much of a bother for him to dress up as Kite just to enter the new living space. As he slipped through the balcony window, he was met with the smell of Spaghetti. Despite himself, his mouth watered at the scent, it had been years since he's had homemade spaghetti.

Ginzo glanced over at Kaito, not really all that surprised that the boy had entered via the window instead of the door. He was just grateful that the other had allowed the window to creak to allow his entrance to be known "I had expected that you'd have returned before now" He replied, remembering how the other had told him about the time limit within the labs.

Kaito flashed him a small smile as he removed his shoes and picked them up, it was kinda amusing that the inspector had actually put a mat beside both the balcony entrance and one of the windows. Ginzo really knew him well "Sorry, I wanted to spend more time in the lab" He wasn't really lying, he just wasn't stating the reason why he'd wanted to stay in the lab.

The inspector let out a soft hum, realizing that the other didn't want to expand on the matter. Over the months he'd become able to read Kaito better than he ever would have imagined "I just finished making the spaghetti, come take a seat" He breathed.

The boy gave his thanks as he glanced around the room, there was now a soft looking light grey couch, a matching chair and a nice oak table with two chairs in the kitchen area. It seems like Ginzo had been busy picking things out in his absence, not that he really cared all that much. They were here for Ginzo's sake so the inspector could furnish the place however he wanted to. Indigos gleamed "It smells really good" It seems like the other's practice with boiling things has paid off. He couldn't wait to taste it.

Chapter 35: Chapter 34 Heist?

Notes:

Written November 14 2019
Posted on Wattpad February 17 2020
Posted here May 22 2020

Chapter Text

"It's been a while since I've had spaghetti" Ginzo stated as he set down a plate of steaming pasta in front of each seat. While pasta could be cheap, Kaito hadn't been keen on wasting any excess pasta or sauce. Pasta sauce just came in cans too big for the two of them to consume it all without the ability to store the excess in a fridge "There's plenty left for seconds" He added as the boy slipped into his own seat, he'd made sure to always pick Kaito's servings whenever possible. The boy had a habit of not taking enough.

Kaito flashed him a bright grin, spaghetti didn't taste that good cold so he never really brought it back to eat "Okay" He twirled up some food onto his fork, savouring the flavour when he placed it into his mouth. Maybe if they could have tasty food like this more often, he'd feel a bit better about using Danashi's money. Good food always brightened his mood.

The inspector couldn't help but feel pleased when Kaito got up to dish himself out another plate of food, it made him feel more useful. It was amazing to think that in the beginning it had been an effort to just get Kaito to eat three small meals a day, now the boy ate enough to not look like he was skin and bones "What do you think that we should have tomorrow?" He inquired, he was curious to know what sort of other foods the boy liked now that their options weren't as limited as before.

Kaito paused, setting his fork down in thought. It was actually kinda rare that he chose a meal, he usually let the choice go to Ginzo since he was the one to cook it "I'm not sure" He remembered liking a few things years ago but taste changes with time "Maybe sushi?" Fish went bad easily, so it had been a long time since he'd had some nice sushi. The fact that it was especially healthy was a good bonus as well.

The thought of sushi made Ginzo's mouth water, he was more than fine with that idea "Then sushi it is" Sushi was one of the few foods that he had been good at prepping before he'd been shrunk.

Indigos gleamed, having taken notice of the other's excitement at the prospect of sushi "I've got a heist tonight, so can it be a somewhat early meal?" Kaito asked, reading Ginzo's reactions.

Ginzo blinked, he was somewhat surprised when his first emotion had been curiosity instead of annoyance "So you're starting those back up again" It was more of a statement than a question. He wasn't really sure how he felt about that, sure he'd know that it would happen, but now it actually was happening "What are you planning to steal?" He was asking for the sake of curiosity, he obviously wasn't going to attend.

"A nice sized sapphire called Blue Birthday" Kaito replied, he trusted that the inspector wouldn't alert the authorities. It was more fun when the police had to scramble to decipher his heist notices.

"Isn't that in the museum a few streets away?" Ginzo asked, he could literally see said museum from the windows, especially since their apartment was taller than it.

The boy nodded "Yeah, I figured that I'd have a simple heist" He flashed a mischievous grin "I may be a little rusty after being on hiatus for so long" He wouldn't have far to go once the heist was over, making it an ideal warm up for the more complicated heists.

Concern made itself present within the inspector "But don't the Crows favour showing up at heists involving larger gems?" If it was supposed to be a warm up heist, why was Kaito taking the risk?

Indigos softened at the other's concern "It'll be fine" He soothed "It'll just be an in and out heist" That and he wanted to chance another confrontation, the more confrontations the better. They'd help him learn more about their objectives as a whole, or at least he hoped they would. The more he learned, the better chance he had at taking them down, and the sooner Ginzo could be out of danger.

Ginzo frowned, he still didn't like it but there was nothing that he could do to stop him "Just be extra careful okay?" He remembered the blood stained medical kits. They'd stocked up on medicine right? He'd check later tonight.

The boy rolled his eyes "I'm almost always careful" He'd been planning this heist for a few weeks, and had only sent in the heist notice a few hours ago. Neither the police nor the crows would have enough time to properly prepare for said heist. He was even going in more stocked than usual due to Danashi's funds. It was kinda odd that he felt more okay with using the funds for a heist rather than to better his living area. Maybe it was because the heists weren't for his own sake? He wasn't sure, but that was fine. He couldn't wait to use his new grappling gun, it could take more tension than before. He also didn't have to be still in order to shoot it properly anymore.

The inspector shrugged, Kaito knew more about his own heist than he did "If you say so" He'd be watching from the window in any case.

Kaito gave him a wry smile "It'll be weird to not have you there chasing at me" The heist was sure to be filled with less curses and yelling than usual.

Ginzo nodded, suddenly feeling sad. There would be no more Kaitou Kid for him to chase once he got his original body back. That heist all those months ago had most likely been his last "You sure as hell better not let yourself get caught" He huffed, only he was allowed to catch Kaito. Though, now he wasn't sure if that would be a good thing. He just wasn't sure anymore, things had been a lot easier when he didn't know Kaito.

Chapter 36: Chapter 35 Blue Birthday

Notes:

Written November 20 2019
Posted on Wattpad February 22 2020
Posted here May 22 2020

Chapter Text

Ginzo sat outside on the balcony, it was nearing the time when Kid's heist was supposed to begin. Kaito had chosen a nice night to do the heist, the air had a crisp bite to it, yet it wasn't cold enough to feel uncomfortable. He could easily get away with wearing just a light coat and thin mitts. The moon was also nice and full, the sky void of any cloud cover, an optimal night for Kid to strike.

He was vaguely curious to know how his task force would do without him, he'd never really missed a heist, until now. If anything had ever happened that would cause him to miss the heist, Kid had usually postponed it. Now after meeting the boy behind the mask he understood why that had happened, Kaito had all but admitted that he was the thief's favourite. The heist probably wouldn't have been as enjoyable without him.

The sound of cheers brought him out of his thoughts, he let out a small huff. He hadn't realized that the heists could be so loud, he usually just tuned out the crowd's reactions. He shifted in his seat peering at the rooftop, he could easily see Kid's white figure near the edge of the roof. Kid had already taken out his hang glider and was poised to take off. The heist had apparently been a success.

He let out a relieved breath before tensing, Kid wasn't alone on the roof, and it wasn't another task force member. He stood up, leaning against the guard rail, feeling helpless as one of the men took a shot. The hang glider shattered as Kid turned around to confront them.

Ginzo grit his teeth, he wanted to scream at Kid to run, but he knew that the other wouldn't hear him from here. He couldn't even run over to help, by the time he got there the conflict would have probably already ended. That, or he'd just get in the way. All he could do was watch, and hope that Kid would get away safely.

There was another shot and Kid was falling backwards, knocked right off the edge of the building "Kaito!" Why wasn't the thief doing anything?! Why wasn't he stopping his fall?! Ginzo swallowed a lump in his throat, suddenly feeling ill as the white figure fell out of sight. A building covering the rest of the lethal descent. What if Kaito had been killed on impact?

His eyes stung as his knees trembled, forcing him to slide to the ground. He was suddenly thankful that the building had stopped him from seeing the splatter. Why did it have to turn out like this? Kaito's smiling face flashed through his mind, he'd been so young. He clenched his fists, hitting the guard rail out of anger, it wasn't fucking fair! Kaito hadn't truly lived his life yet, he'd instead lived in fear for the majority of his life. He didn't bother wiping away the wetness on his cheeks as his arms rested limply at his side. Kaito had only just gotten the chance to have a more normal life, and now he was dead.

"Keibu?" Ginzo suddenly blinked out of whatever trance he'd been in, he didn't really know how long he'd been like that.

"Kaito?" He inquired softly, not believing his eyes. Hadn't he been killed? He tried to get up but he stumbled a bit, his knees having gone numb from him sitting on them for so long. But there he was, standing near him, out of his Kid outfit.

Indigos flashed curiously at the inspector's tear stained face before widening in realization "Shit" He breathed, he'd forgotten that Ginzo had been watching the heist from a distance.

"You're real" Ginzo breathed, a sudden flurry of elation filled him as he lunged at the boy, trapping him within a strong hug. A small laugh escaped from him "I'm so glad that you're okay!" He truly was, he hadn't expected that the other's presence would have affected him so much. It was shocking how much he'd come to care for the little shit.

Kaito let out a small pained whine, the inspector was accidentally holding him too tight "I'm sorry" He wheezed a bit "But please let me go" He stumbled a bit when Ginzo suddenly moved away from him. He gingerly rubbed his chest, even as a child Ginzo was strong.

"You're hurt" The inspector stated, now noting how the boy was taking in shallow breaths. Fear laced through his veins, had Kaito been shot after all?

The boy nodded, visibly wincing as he slid into the chair that Ginzo had brought out earlier. He pulled out a blue gem, the one known as Blue Birthday "This saved my life" Kaito replied softly "I had put it into my breast pocket on the left" Ginzo noted the crack that ran down the middle of the gem, eyes widening at the implication.

Kaito had been shot, in a location that would normally prove to be fatal. The boy really was blessed with luck "Your ribs..." That would explain why Kaito seemed to be having a bit of trouble breathing. The gem may have stopped the bullet from piercing him, but the impact would have still caused some heavy damage.

The other flashed him a crooked smile "Better bruised than bloodied" He laughed before wincing, letting his laugh fall short. That had really hurt.

Ginzo scoffed "Well I prefer neither" He huffed despite the small smile on his face. He was just so relieved that Kaito was okay.

Indigos softened, the boy feeling all warm and fuzzy that Ginzo truly cared for him. He didn't think that the inspector was one to cry without a good reason "I'm sorry for worrying you" He really was, it had been so long since he'd been in a position for someone to actually worry about him. He really needed to think about others more often, he truly was selfish. If not, then why was he happy that Ginzo had cared enough to cry for him? He really was messed up.

Chapter 37: Chapter 36 Pandora? Serious;y?

Notes:

Written November 21 2019
Posted on Wattpad February 24 2020
Posted here May 29 2020

Chapter Text

Ginzo gave Kaito a curious look, something about the boy's tone bothered him a bit, though he didn't know why "It's fine" He breathed "It just made me realize a few things" He hadn't realized just how much he had come to care for the boy. Sure he knew that he'd cared since Kaito was still a child, but Kaito felt different to him than just some child he's met. He reached over to ruffle Kaito's unruly locks "I just have more incentive than before to keep you from dying" He really didn't want Kaito to get killed.

Kaito nodded, though he looked a little confused at the other's words "Anyways..." He needed to tell Ginzo about what he'd learned today "I found out why the Crows usually target me whenever I go after big gems" He felt his heart rate speed up just at the memory of the confrontation. He'd been so scared, thankfully his poker face had hidden that fact from the crows.

The inspector raised a brow, Kaito actually gained more information? Was that why the boy had taken so long in returning? "Really?" He inquired, feeling somewhat curious.

The boy smirked "Yup" He spun the Blue Birthday on his fingertip "Turns out the crows are sort of crazy" At Ginzo's obvious confusion he continued "They're apparently looking for a magical gem that grants immortality" He snickered, amusement lighting up indigos.

Ginzo blinked, he must have heard that wrong "They're looking for what?" There was no way that a criminal syndicate was looking for a magical gem, they had to be smarter than that.

Kaito flashed a bright grin "You heard me right the first time Keibu" He himself couldn't really believe it, but it was a fact. His tone grew somewhat more serious "I followed them after they thought that I had died" Indigos gleamed "One of the higher ups, Snake, told one of his lackeys a very interesting tale about a gem called Pandora" He shrugged "Apparently Pandora is a doublet gem, that shines red in the moonlight, granting the holder immortality when it sheds its tear" He let out a small sigh as he stopped spinning the gem "The only problem is that nobody knows what Pandora looks like, so they've been going around and targeting large gems"

The inspector shook his head in disbelief "They're mad" Something like that couldn't possibly exist.

The boy nodded in agreement "I agree" He breathed "But I challenged them" He averted his gaze away from the inspector, already knowing that the other wouldn't like it "I openly told them that I would find Pandora first and destroy it" And then the group had sent a rain of bullets his way, thank god that he'd been expecting that reaction. Now he's painted an even bigger target onto his back, especially since they now knew that he would be opposing them. Before it had been by chance, now it was intentional.

Ginzo grit his teeth, realizing the additional danger Kaito had put himself in "But why?" Hadn't Kaito been working secretly against them? Why would he change that?

Indigos met his gaze "Because now my attempts to lure out the Crows will be more successful" Things would become more dangerous, but he'd also have more chances to expose the crows, it was worth it in his opinion.

The inspector was silent for a few moments before letting out a defeated sigh, he couldn't change what had already been done "We need to check and tend to your ribs" He stated, wondering how the boy could talk so much while they were injured.

"Yeah" Kaito gave a small smile "I didn't feel like twisting around in order to wrap my ribs" Normally he would, but Ginzo was here and was sure to help.

"Good" He huffed, glad that Kaito had refrained from possibly aggravating his injuries. He was actually thinking about himself for once. Indigos softened as they walked into the apartment, Ginzo swiftly picking up the first aid kit, he'd left it out just in case it was needed in a rush.

"I'm pretty sure that my ribs weren't broken" The boy stated as he removed his shirt, wincing slightly at the action. Cracked? Maybe, but they were bruised for sure. At least he wasn't in danger of one of his ribs piercing a lung or something.

Ginzo let out a sympathetic hiss as he spotted the discolouration across the boy's chest. It was already bruising, and badly at that. Though the worst of the bruising was centred right over where Kaito's heart would be "You really are quite lucky" He breathed, grateful that the sapphire had been strong enough to withstand the bullet.

Kaito's breath hitched when the inspector gently began to prod around his ribs, gritting his teeth at the pain "Yeah" He grit out, holding still as Ginzo began to wrap bandages tightly around his chest. There wasn't much that could be done for damaged ribs other than to bind them.

He didn't comment on the obvious pain on the other's face "Those would heal a lot better with some bruise cream" Ginzo stated "Why didn't you buy that? Surely you get bruised all the time right?"

The boy gave a small shrug "I didn't have much money before so I never bought it" He glanced around the apartment "I'm so used to not bothering with it that I didn't even think of it" Money had been better spent on supplies that would stop him from bleeding out. Bruises hadn't really been that important in comparison.

Ginzo grimaced at that, it sort of made sense "Then tomorrow you should pick it up so that you heal better" He'd go himself now that he was somewhat disguised, but he wasn't sure if he'd be allowed to buy it. The storekeepers might become concerned about him doing something stupid with it, not that he'd blame them. He looked like a child, and kids are capable of doing a lot of stupid things. Not that teens and adults didn't do stupid things too, children were more protected then them.

Chapter 38: Chapter 37 Bruises, Thoughts

Notes:

Written December 27 2019
Posted on Wattpad February 29 2020
Posted here June 5 2020

Chapter Text

When Kaito awoke the next day, he felt horrible. The bruises from the other night had settled in and throbbed painfully. He still couldn't really breathe all that well without any pain, so he was stuck with taking short breaths instead of normal ones. Really, he'd had worse before, but it had been so long since he'd actually been injured that it just felt worse. He really didn't want to leave the bed, that would require sitting up.

He lazed around for a good while before his bladder was telling him that he should probably get up. Stupid habits of using the washroom after waking up. With a lot of pain and silent hissing, he eventually managed to sit up and scoot off of the bed. The boy gingerly patted his chest, cringing at the contact. He'd never been shot in the chest before now. A bullet proof vest would definitely be a good item to collect before his next heist. Especially now that bullets would be more likely to fly his way, and he didn't like having bruised or cracked ribs.

Ginzo looked away from the stove when he heard Kaito's door open, wincing in sympathy at the way the boy was carrying himself. Half lidded indigos were glazed with pain, and there was a small grimace on Kaito's face. Bruises always were worse the day after "You doing okay?" He inquired.

Indigos blinked before clearing a bit "Yeah" Kaito breathed "I'll live" He replied before heading into the washroom.

The inspector turned back towards the french toast and bacon he'd been cooking, there wasn't really much that could be done for the other's pain besides a painkiller. Whether or not Kaito took one was another story though, the boy was stubborn.

By the time Kaito had finished in the washroom, the food was done "Did you take something?" Ginzo asked as the boy shuffled into his seat. He placed down Kaito's portion in front of him, raising a brow "I'm pretty sure that by now your whole chest is probably black, Nobody would blame you for taking a painkiller" Because most people take them to help with less serious injuries.

The boy gave a small smile, he liked being cared for "I took some" He hadn't been sure if he'd be able to move enough to look normal outside without some "I'm going to go out for some bruise cream, then return here" He couldn't work in his lab if he couldn't breathe right. Even without injuries, it was already a bit hard to breath in it since the air was thicker.

Ginzo grimaced, taking a seat with his own food "I'll help you apply it if you want" The boy's back was also quite bruised. The impact had really spread.

Kaito was silent in thought as he nibbled on a bit of bacon, after a few moments he nodded "Thanks, it'd hurt too much to do it myself" Since he wasn't bleeding, his pain threshold was more wimpy since the threat of death wasn't present. Death was a good motivator in making him suck up the pain to get things done. He glanced down at the food, giving Ginzo a small smile as he looked up "This is really good" He couldn't remember the last time he'd had warm bacon.

The inspector smirked at the complement "I figured that the extra protein would help in your healing" The fat and carbs would also help.

Indigos gleamed "Your daughter is going to be so shocked when you return" He was quite impressed with how much the other had improved.

"I've only been making simple dishes" Ginzo scoffed, though that in itself was better than before "I'd probably mess up if I tried to make anything too fancy"

Kaito shrugged "Getting the basics done is vital" He ate some more food, swallowing before continuing "Once you have that, the harder stuff won't seem as scary"

"I'll take your word for it" Ginzo breathed, collecting the used dishes. When he turned back around, Kaito was dressed in his Kuroba Kite disguise. His gaze narrowed "Don't do stupid things like that until you're not injured" Sure the boy may technically be able to do quick actions, but that didn't mean that it hadn't hurt him. Stupid boy shouldn't be showing off right now.

Kite smirked "I'll be good" He replied before heading out the door.

Ginzo just watched the door close before shaking his head in exasperation "That idiot should be more careful" He scowled, a small smile tugging at his lips. At least the boy had the energy to do silly things like that.

A few hours later had Kaito sprawled across the couch, a crime novel in hand. His bruises had been properly treated with some help. Now all he had to do was rest to allow himself to heal. Ginzo was sitting down, leaning against the couch with his own crime novel in hand. He'd already read all of Kaito's old ones, so he was thankful that Kaito had somehow gotten more from a library before the heist. The boy had a good taste in books, though he still never really gave a clear answer when questioned about why he read so many crime novels. Maybe Kaito was a police fan? It was odd enough that it may actually be true. It would explain why the boy often blushed whenever questioned.

The inspector fiddled with a page, suddenly realizing how relaxed he felt despite the situation. Here he was enjoying reading in the same room as an international jewel thief. The same thief that always used to make his blood pressure skyrocket at the mere mention of him. Was it odd that he was actually enjoying his life like this? His thoughts turned towards Aoko, he really hoped that she was doing okay, he missed her so much.

A small smile tugged at his lips as he thought about how his daughter would react to Kaito. He wasn't sure what would happen if the two ever met properly, but it was bound to be interesting. Ginzo was sure of that at least.

Chapter 39: Chapter 38 The Temporary Cure

Notes:

Written December 29 2019
Posted on Wattpad March 2 2020
Posted here June 12 2020

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

It had taken approximately three weeks for the bruises to mostly heal, instead of the ugly black that they'd been, they were now an icky faded yellow. His breathing had eased enough around a week ago, which meant that the boy had once again started to spend long hours within his lab.

Indigo's narrowed slightly, a small frown tugging at his lips as he eyed the small pill in his hand. It was a small capsule coloured purple and blue. He'd chosen those decorative colours since it made it look less like a pill, and more like those weird sponge capsules he'd once heard about. Apparently if a sponge capsule was placed in water, eventually the outer coating would fade, allowing a cutely shaped sponge alone to float in the water. It was a less suspicious option than if Ginzo were to be caught carrying something that was obviously a pill.

He bit his lip, a little frustrated with himself. It wasn't a cure, but it would temporarily stop the effects of the first poison. It was something that could be used in an emergency, that is if it even worked. Why did the stupid poison have to be self replicating? It meant that he'd have to find a way to either neutralize it completely, or create a counter poison to negate the effects. He wasn't that good at making self replicating drugs, hence the temporary solution. It couldn't even be taken enough for Ginzo to live his life as himself, all it would do was build up his immunity to the future cure.

The boy wasn't even sure if he should even inform the other about this, it was dangerous since he could only truly test it on Ginzo. There was a small chance of it killing the inspector with each time he took one of them "That's an uncharacteristically scary face you're wearing" Kaito blinked, turning his attention away from the pill.

"I was just thinking about a few things" He replied, closing his hand, removing the pill from sight.

Ginzo's gaze narrowed a bit at the action, he'd already seen the pill "Is that related to the cure?" Surely Kaito wouldn't have such a dark expression if it had been the true cure, so it had to be something else.

Kaito hesitated, pursing his lips before letting out a sigh "It's for emergencies only" He stated, holding out the pill for Ginzo to obtain "It's supposed to be a temporary cure" He admitted "But you risk death each time you take it"

The inspector gave a small frown as he examined the oddly coloured pill "I didn't think that you'd actually give me something that could kill me" He mused, he'd figured that the other would keep away all of the dangerous tests until the final cure.

Indigos dimmed, deflecting towards the ground "It's for in case there's an emergency where you need to be yourself in order to get away or something" Even though he didn't like it, it would be good for the inspector to have that option.

Ginzo pursed his lips, he could easily tell that Kaito was not happy to give him this "Thanks" He appreciated the other's concern. He was silent for a few moments "Shouldn't this be tested before an emergency?" Alarmed indigos met his gaze, he continued before Kaito could counter "What if it made a bad situation worse?" It could just knock him out for all he knew.

Kaito grimaced, he could see the truth in the other's reasoning "It's too risky.." He argued weakly.

The other scoffed "If it was too risky" He started "Than you would have never even brought it out of your lab" Kaito wasn't an idiot, he trusted the boy's skills. If the other thought that he'd be able to improve it with a little more time, than he would have done that instead of mentioning the pill.

Kaito's face was now pleading "Please just wait until you need it" He could just take the pill back, but then that wouldn't have been fair to Ginzo. The inspector deserved to have  the choice since his options were already limited.

Ginzo observed the other's expression, Kaito was visibly distressed at the potential harm that could be done. He frowned. The boy would probably be secretly worrying as long as he had the pill in his possession, which wasn't very healthy. Kaito already had enough problems to worry about. He popped the pill into his mouth, blinking at the faint blue raspberry flavouring. Of course Kaito would give it a flavour, the weirdo. If the pill was deadly, he may as well take it now to end Kaito's concerns. If he lived, then Kaito would be angry, but would have a lot less future stress.

"Keibu!" Kaito's cry was sharp as he watched the inspector swallow the pill. Indigos were blown wide in fear, as spasms began to wrack through Ginzo. Tears were already falling from the boy's face as he watched Ginzo clutch his chest in pain, slumping to the ground. It was happening all over again! Ginzo's eyes were glazed with pain, his horrible screams pained and loud, and Kaito couldn't do anything but watch and wait.

A small sob escaped from the boy when the other began to thrash and scratch in his pained haze. With his whole body trembling, Kaito did his best to pin the inspector's hands and legs with his own, he didn't want Ginzo to hurt himself further.

He closed his eyes, wanting to block out the screaming. He hated this. Eventually, the screaming died down, the inspector's body going limp right after. Kaito's breath caught in his chest, for a split moment he'd thought that the other had died. He swiftly scurried off of Ginzo now that he no longer had to hold him down. A watery laugh escaped, when he felt the other's pulse, it was erratic, but strong "Stupid idiot!" He hissed, wiping away his tears. Why did Ginzo have to scare him like that?! His anger was quickly replaced with panic when Ginzo began to grow, the other's clothes would surely strangle him.

Notes:

Kaito isn't Ai, so of course the effects are different, that and Ginzo couldn't have been fed the exact same version of the APTX4869 as Shinichi due to the timeline...

Chapter 40: Chapter 39 Anger, Realization

Notes:

Written December 30 2019
Posted on Wattpad March 6 2020
Posted here June 19 2020

Chapter Text

The first thing that he noted when consciousness returned was that he was tired, he felt as if he'd just finished running a marathon. Ginzo then realized that he was laying on the ground, but with all of their collective blankets surrounding him "Bastard" He glanced over to see Kaito crouched down next to him. Red rimmed indigos were glaring angrily at him through unshed tears. Guilt pooled within the inspector, he'd obviously scared the other more than he'd thought he would.

"Sorry" He blinked, his own voice sounding both familiar and different to himself. Ginzo quickly sat up, eyes wide as he took in himself, he wasn't a child anymore! He couldn't help the wide grin from spreading across his face. The temporary cure had worked!

Kaito scowled, still pissed that the other had done something so stupid and dangerous. What if he'd died?! He wiped his face a bit before speaking "You shouldn't have taken the pill" He scolded, sure he had made a few of them, but Ginzo hadn't known that. He also needed to tweak a few things in the formula before handing the other another pill. He did not want to go through that ever again. He'd honestly thought that Ginzo had been dying for a few moments.

Ginzo grimaced, it was odd to have Kaito's anger directed towards him "I figured that you'd spend most of your time worrying about it killing me until it was used" He gave a small shrug, having enough sense to at least feel guilty "I figured that if was going to kill me, it was better than having you worry over the inevitable"

Kaito made an angry sound in the back of his throat, grabbing Ginzo's shirt. He'd changed the other's clothes into ones that belonged to his Kite persona since a child's clothes weren't an option "So you're saying that if the end was death, you might as well accept it?" He snarled, knuckles going white. His tone lowered "That's the exact opposite of what you've been spewing all these months!" Kaito's own potential futures were either death and prison, at least in his own opinion.

The inspector's eyes widened, realizing his mistake "Fuck" He grimaced "You're right" He hadn't really thought about it from Kaito's perspective.

Indigos gleamed "Of course I'm right!" He huffed, releasing Ginzo before standing up.

Ginzo followed suit, though it startled him to realize just how small Kaito was. Before the pill, Kaito had been a bit taller than him, which skewed his perception of the other. Any time he'd actually been out with him, Kaito had been disguised as Kite, hindering any height comparisons between the boy and others. Hell, Kaito was shorter than Aoko "Are you sure that you're 13?" It was hard to imagine that a 13 year old would barely reach his waist.

The boy's cheeks flushed, a small scowl on his lips as he crossed his arms across his chest "I turned 13 on June 21st" His gaze narrowed "The day you got poisoned" Indigos gleamed in defiance "I'll be taller when I'm older" Hopefully the proper meals would help him catch up to others his age. He'll grow, eventually.

The inspector raised a brow "So you pulled a heist on your birthday?"

Kaito nodded, still flushing "It's better than being alone" Indigos were directed away from the other.

Ginzo's heart hurt at that, hadn't the boy previously stated that the Kid task force was closer to him than most? Just how many of his heists had been duty, and how many had been because he didn't want to be lonely? Now that he was his own size, Kaito looked a lot more fragile than he had before. A single well placed hit from an adult could break his bones for God's sake!

Kaito frowned, reading the other's look "Don't pity me" He met Ginzo's gaze "You know that I'm stronger than I look" Just because the other had realized just how small he was, didn't mean that anything should change. So what if he was currently only a few inches taller than Ginzo was when he was 7. Bigger didn't always mean better.

"Sorry" Ginzo apologized "It's just a bit of a shock that I didn't realize how small you were" Kaito refrained from bristling since the other obviously meant no harm.

"My dad was tall" Kaito offered "So it's probably due to how poor my diet had been" And his sleeping habits, but he didn't really need to mention that as well "I still have a lot of time left to grow"

"True" Ginzo nodded in agreement "I've heard that boys can grow like a weed when they hit a growth spurt" Though in his opinion, Kaito may have missed a few, but the boy may become defensive if he mentioned that.

Indigos narrowed "Anyways" They needed to go back to talking about things more important than his height "I'm not giving you another pill from that batch" It wouldn't help the other escape, just make him harder to carry "The change caused too much strain on you body" Indigos softened "I'll try to make it less painful next time"

Ginzo blinked "I don't actually remember much after swallowing the pill" After that, everything is foggy.

Kaito pursed his lips "I think that's a good thing" He must have been in a lot of pain to have reacted how he had "Also, next time, change clothes first" He grimaced "Your clothes would have strangled you, or at the very least caused some damage if I hadn't changed them" Thank the Gods he'd had a lot of practice changing others as Kid.

The inspector grimaced, okay, maybe he should have thought out his actions a little better "I'll remember that" He breathed.

The boy nodded "Good" He headed towards the couch "Since I need to observe how long the cure lasts, I might as well read some more" His plans of heading back out for more tests were now gone, thankfully he hadn't been working on anything time sensitive.

Chapter 41: Chapter 40

Notes:

Written January 1 2020
Posted on Wattpad March 7 2020
Posted here June 26 2020

Chapter Text

Ginzo found himself enjoying the fact that he was no longer a child, he didn't have to hop up on stools to reach things anymore so cooking was a lot easier. He couldn't believe just how much he'd taken his height for granted now that he had it back, though his elation didn't allow him to miss the way the other had been glancing at him with concern.

"Maybe I should cook tonight instead" Kaito mused from his seat at the kitchen table, he was refraining from standing too close to the inspector. The height difference was less apparent this was, but only just.

The inspector scoffed "If I was able to cook while small, I can do it like this as well" Kaito was such a worrier when it came to other people. If only the boy could do that for himself as well.

Kaito bit his lip "But what if the pill starts wearing off while you're doing something dangerous?" The pill had reacted quickly, so there was a chance that it could fade just as fast. He didn't want the other to accidentally stab himself or spill the boiling pot of water. Ginzo was sure to visibly react as soon as he start to shrink "We don't know how long it will last" It was already a little past 6 at night, meaning that it had already lasted a little more than 6 hours. It was a lot longer than he'd expected it to last.

Ginzo let out a small sigh as he stirred the pot, he'd decided to make miso soup, everything had already been prepped, cut up, and placed within the pot. All that was left was for the soup to simmer "The soup only needs to cook for a little longer" He breathed.

The boy hopped up onto a stool beside him to peer into the pot "It looks and smells good" His mouth was already watering. The inspector rolled his eyes, picking the boy up by the scruff of his shirt. Indigos widened in surprise, a tiny squeak of escaping from the boy. He hadn't expected to be picked up! "Oi! Put me down" Indigos glowered in indignation when the other just raised him to eye level instead. He knew that he shouldn't have stood near him!

"I still can't get over how small you are" He breathed, Kaito felt as if he weighed barely anything. He also felt as if he were picking up an angry kitten with the angry look Kaito was giving him. A horrible feeling settled in his gut, Kaito could have been snatched away so easily when he'd been selling himself. Also, what kind of sicko would even want to touch him like that?! Sure he was Kid, but without his tools, he was vulnerable.

Indigos narrowed "Stop thinking about stupid things" He was starting to feel uncomfortable just hanging like this. He was not some object that could be manhandled! "I'm easily underestimated" He added, not liking the concerned look he was being given.

Ginzo smirked, putting the boy back down onto the stool "True" And he also didn't need to worry about those kinds of things anymore, Kaito had no need to do that. The boy also rarely went out in public as himself, instead preferring to use his Kite persona. He was safe in that sense. He glanced at the soup "It should be done by now" He breathed, turning off the burner before grabbing the pot to remove it from the heat.

Kaito perked up, hopping off of the stool to stand on a different one, snatching the needed bowls from the cupboard "Here" He replied, as he offered the bowls. He figured that he might as well help since he was already up.

The inspector opened his mouth to say his thanks, but instead let out a pained hiss. Indigos widened as Kaito swiftly put the bowls on the counter as he hopped onto the stool. He then grabbed Ginzo's arms to steady him, wincing when a good amount of the liquid splashed against his left arm and chest. He helped Ginzo put the pot down safely to avoid major injury, just in time for the other to crumple to the ground in pain "Shit..." Ginzo's voice was pained as he clutched his chest, clenching his eyes shut. His heart felt like it was beating a million times a minuet.

"Keibu?" There was panic in his voice, which only grew when the other didn't respond. Kaito clenched his fists, feeling helpless. There was nothing he could do but sit there and watch, hoping that the strain of the change didn't kill him. Indigos burned, he hated the people who poisoned Ginzo! And himself a bit, for not thinking of ways to ease the other's pain sooner. He should have checked to see if his sleeping gas would have been safe to use with the pill.

The sight Ginzo came to was a familiar one, though this time Kaito seemed more tired and angry than fearful and sad. His whole body ached, and he felt a bit sick "Shrinking sucks" He breathed, sitting up with a bit of difficulty. His clothes were now way too big for him.

Kaito gave a tired smile, indigos soft "Yeah I bet" He stood up and went to offer a hand only to flinch. He held in a pained hiss, he'd forgotten that he'd been splashed and had ignored the pain in favour of watching over Ginzo.

Ginzo blinked, before remembering "Shit!" The wetness of the other's shirt easily telling him what had happened "Are you okay?!" Being splashed with hot liquids was no laughing matter, guilt pooled within his stomach.

The boy nodded before swiftly removing his shirt, the hot water had seeped in, thus had continued to burn him "It would have been a lot worse if I hadn't jumped up" There had been a high chance of Ginzo falling with the pot. He grimaced at the angry red of his arm, it was a bad burn, thankfully it had barely gotten his chest. At least he had what was needed to treat himself.

Chapter 42: Chapter 41 Second Heist Announced!

Notes:

Written January 9 2020
Posted on Wattpad March 9 2020
Posted here July 3 2020

Chapter Text

Kaito sighed as he finished wrapping up his burns, by the time he'd finished applying burn cream to them, some of them had already begun to show signs of blistering. He could deal with first degree and a few second degree burns just fine, especially since they were only that bad due to him not removing his shirt sooner. One good point was that Ginzo would probably listen to him next time. Ginzo had a dark look in his eyes as he eyed the medical kit, it was a little disheartening that the boy had expertly treated the burns. That meant that Kaito wasn't a stranger to being burned. 

Indigos sparkled when the boy caught Ginzo's expression "I'm fine" Kaito stated, a wry smile tugging at his lips "I work with dangerous chemicals often, so I studied how to treat burns" And he'd gotten a lot of practice from messed up tricks as well, but Ginzo didn't need to know that little bit of info.

The inspector nodded, feeling a bit better about the situation "We should eat" It still pissed him off that the boy had needed to learn about burns in the first place.

"'Kay" Kaito breathed, noting that the other still seemed a bit upset. He couldn't fix everything, the other would probably be less upset in the morning. Until he caught wind of the new heist note that is. When he'd sent out the note this morning, he hadn't expected to get burned before it.

His suspicions were proved to be correct judging by the dark stare he received when he exited his room the next morning. He held up his hands, giving Ginzo a small smile "I sent it out before I got hurt again" His bruises still hurt, but they did nothing to hinder his movements.

Ginzo's gaze narrowed, but he still nodded "When is the heist?" Kaito was injured during the last heist, and that was before he'd challenged the Crows.

"Tonight" Kaito admitted "I didn't want to give the Crows too much time to prepare" Though since he'd been sidetracked yesterday, he himself didn't really have much time to prepare either "I'm stealing an amethyst called the Violet Victory" He gave Ginzo a picture of the gem "It's supposed to be on display at Haido City Hotel" The owner wanted to put the gem on display in a place where there were no other large gems so that it could hog the spotlight.

Ginzo grit his teeth, not liking that the location was a fair distance away "Won't your burns hinder your ability to fly your hang glider?" 

Kaito gave a small smile "I have other ways of escape besides the sky" He met the other's gaze "And if I have to, then I'm perfectly capable of flying" Indigos glinted darkly "I did fly myself back here last time after all" It had been horribly painful, but he'd managed to both fly himself back, and make himself look presentable enough to not worry Ginzo.

"Can I be near the heist site?" He looked young enough that he'd raise suspicions if he were to be unaccompanied for too long. They already had their false identities, so they could probably use them.

The boy pursed his lips, thinking about the pros and cons. The location was a hotel, so if Kite and Ginga stayed there, it wouldn't look too odd "You've got to remember to stay in character" It was risky, but it also added another layer to his disguise. They'd just seem like the average father and son.

"You're Kuroba Kite, and I'm your son Ginga" Ginzo agreed.

"Okay then" Kaito pulled out a cheap cell phone "I'll make the reservation before everyone finds out that the hotel is the heist location" It'd be impossible to make them after the location got out, He'd made that mistake once for a heist in Osaka. Everywhere near the location had gotten booked, leaving him to sleep in a tree. It had rained that night.

Ginzo hurried over towards his bag, it was just a simple dark green one but it worked fine. He grabbed the open first aid kit and stuffed it inside along with some pain medication and books. He didn't want Kaito to get hurt, but he'd be an idiot if he didn't see the potential danger. 

Indigos glimmered with amusement as he watched the other while he made the reservations, Ginzo really was overprotective. It felt nice to have someone worry about him again.

When the inspector turned towards Kaito, he almost wasn't surprised to see that the other had already disguised himself as Kite "Ready to go Ginga?" Kite asked, a small smile on his lips at the use of the name.

Ginga nodded, messing up his hair a bit. He obviously didn't really need to disguise much since his hair had been permanently dyed to match Kaito's and his haircut wasn't his normal one. Nobody would look at him and think that he was Nakamori Ginzo, but shrunken "Yup" He'd only call Kite dad when in public. It felt weird even then.

Kite snickered, a light blue bag of his own appearing on his back "Then let's head out" He smirked "I have a heist location to scope out. Thankfully he's already held plenty of heists there so he knew the layout perfectly. Though things could have changed a bit, so it was always a good idea to make sure that a past exit hadn't been blocked.

Ginga slung his own bag over his shoulders before following Kite out the door, raising a brow when they didn't stop to lock it. Maybe Kite had done a trick to do so. It was interesting to see the other use small tricks, maybe he was already getting into the mindset of being Kid? He was sure that every other time he'd seen Kite leave, the other had physically locked the door "So how are we getting there?" A cab would be easiest, but they also cost more money. He wasn't sure if the other would pay for one, even if it wasn't even his own money being used.

Kite's azure gaze glimmered "The bus" He smirked "It's a good way for you to get some practice in being Ginga"

Chapter 43: Chapter 42 Violet Victory Heeist

Notes:

Written January 22 2020
Posted on Wattpad March 11 2020
Posted here July 10 2020

Chapter Text

Ginzo let out a small sigh as he flopped onto the hotel's bed, being on the bus had been more exhausting than he'd thought it'd be. It had been so long since he'd been around so many people, it'd been kinda overwhelming. Sure he'd left their shared apartment to fetch things, but he'd almost always been moving in contrast to having to sit still on the bus. He peered over at Kite, the other hadn't dropped the disguise once they'd gotten out of sight, Kite had seemed perfectly at ease on the bus.

Kite breathed out a laugh at Ginzo's curious look "It's all about headspace" He pointed at his own head "As Kaito I would have been on edge like you were" Even more so since Kaito didn't exist. He flashed a grin "But I'm currently Kid undercover as Kite, Kid is a showman while Kite has no reason to feel on edge around others" Sapphires gleaned "Thus I'm quite comfortable around others"

The inspector raised a brow, that was confusing "That doesn't sound healthy" Pretending to be who one isn't until they believe it themselves? Don't things like that eventually become problems?

Azure softened "I know my limits" He assured "Plus I doubt that you'll allow me to forget myself" Especially since he was still kinda learning who 'Kaito' was, since Ginzo's arrival it'd become more and more easier to emote his feelings. Before they hadn't really mattered, nor had he really thought of himself as anyone but Kid, he hadn't needed a proper name.

Ginzo nodded "Good" He trusted Kite's judgement. He sat up, legs dangling from the bed "So what's going to happen now?" There were still around 10 hours until the heist.

Kite smirked "Well I'm going to set up some tricks and traps, and also scope out the place" He glanced towards the TV "You can do whatever so long as you don't stand out" Ginzo wouldn't be able to keep up with him even if he allowed him to come, which of course he wouldn't. It wouldn't do for the other to learn the secrets behind his tricks "I'll find something to eat, don't wait for me" With that he disappeared, somewhere.

That was how the inspector ended up spending the rest of the day reading, watching TV, and memorizing the hotel's floor plans. He'd figured that he may as well know where things were in case something bad happened.

Ginga grimaced as he stood in the crowd, how did children even enjoy the heists? It was frankly a safety hazard for children with how many people there were, how had he never noticed this before?! He really had been too focused on catching Kid. He glanced at his watch, there were still around 10 minutes until the heist, maybe he should find a safer place to watch from. He feared that there was a very real chance of him getting trampled if he stayed.

Leaving the crowd was a lot easier than it had been to enter it, people were more than happy to swap places with him if it meant that they got a better chance at getting to Kid. He almost stumbled when he spotted superintendent Hakuba, Danashi usually didn't attend Kid heists. So why was he here now? It wasn't like the other could help out, not with everyone here.

By the time he found a place that he was sure was safe, the heist was due to start. He was standing a small corner within the room, he could see the amethyst from here, which was what mattered.

He covered his mouth when the familiar hissing sound of Kid's smoke bombs met his ears, though thankfully it had been white smoke instead of pink. There was shouting, yells, excited squeals from fans, and running footsteps. Kid's outfit blended quite well with the smoke, so much so that Ginga had barely seen the thief as he ran by. Though the sudden weight in his pockets was hard to miss. He frowned, had Kid seriously stashed the gem on his person? He couldn't even check to see if his suspicions were right.

The task force soon came running in the direction where Kid had fled, disappointment curled in his stomach. The heist had been lacking Kid's usual flair. Was it because he couldn't chase him? Or had the Crows garnered Kid's attention?

While Ginga was busy contemplating, Kid was flitting about the rooftop, dodging bullets. A small laugh escaped the thief as he dove down into the ventilation ducts, thank god he'd unscrewed the lids beforehand! Adrenaline was pulsing through his veins as he quickly shimmied into the first drop of the duct, allowing both his shoes and gloves to take the brunt of the downwards friction. Moments after the start of his second descent, a torrent of bullets was sent down, causing Kid's ears to ring as they ricocheted through the vents. All but one travelled horizontally down the vents, the one that managed to go down his path hit him square in the back.

Kid took the blow with a grimace, almost letting himself fall before catching himself, he was so glad that he'd gotten himself a bulletproof vest. He'd figured that it'd be a good investment since he'd outright challenged the Crows last time. It had still hurt though.

After a few more moments of sliding downwards he slipped into the next cross section so that he wouldn't be spotted right away if one of the Crows actually followed him into the vents. Not risking the chance, he continued to crawl through the vents, his destination already in mind. Though now that the adrenaline was fading, he could feel the familiar sting associated with being grazed by bullets. Oops, he'd thought he was better than that! Maybe he shouldn't have been shirking his exercise routine, he'd gotten sloppy.

He let out a silent breath as he approached his designated exit, he'd have to return later to clear up any blood. He may not be in the systems, but that didn't mean that he liked the idea of someone getting a hold of his blood.

Chapter 44: Chapter 43 Teamwork, Confliction

Notes:

Written January 28 2020
Posted on Wattpad March 14 2020
Posted here July 17 2020

Chapter Text

Ginga blinked in surprise at the sight of Kid slipping out of an air vent. He'd left the main heist site in favour of standing near a barely used alleyway since the heist was over. He hadn't wanted to linger about since a nosy person might have inquired where his guardian was. He'd figured that the other would easily locate him so long as he was alone. Ginga's gaze narrowed a bit at the tears in Kid's outfit, some of which were tinted red. Kid had gotten hurt, which meant that the Crows had actually shown up.

The inspector spotted black coated figures in the corners of his vision, they were thankfully at an angle where they couldn't see Kid "There you are dad!" He huffed, crossing his arms. God that felt weird "Why'd you leave me to go drinking?" That would allow the over to favour any injuries.

Kid gave a wide grin before he was swiftly replaced by Kite, his clothing was dark. It would hide any blood that seeped through the fabric "I'm sorry Ginga" Kite walked over to him, ruffling his hair as he crouched down to eye level "Why don't we go back to our room to play some games to make it up to you?" He offered, the dark figures passed by, not even bothering to spare them a glance.

Ginga nodded, letting out a relieved breath "That sounds fun" Kite grabbed his hand before they headed back to their room.

"That was pretty smart" Kite praised once they were within the privacy of their own room. He swiftly removed his disguise so that he was Kaito once more.

The inspector raised a brow, Kaito had been in disguise the whole time. He hadn't thought that the other would remove it until they were back in their apartment. He gave a small shrug "I figured that a father and son would be less likely to show up on their radar" He grimaced "Referring to you as my father feels weird"

Kaito snorted, indigos gleaming in amusement as he fiddled with his bulletproof vest. It was very uncomfortable "They were more vigorous in going after me than usual" They must be taking his challenge seriously. He removed the vest, frowning as he observed the damage "Their guns were certainly a higher caliber than usual"

Ginzo winced before scanning the other for injuries "How hurt are you?" He knew that he'd seen blood, but Kaito didn't seem to be in any hurry. That meant that the injuries shouldn't be that bad.

The boy looked down at himself, then met Ginzo's gaze "I think I got grazed a few times" He gave a small pout "I've gotten rusty"

"What about your ribs?" They'd been mostly healed before the heist, but judging by the vest, he'd been shot in the back. Surely repeated physical trauma to the same area couldn't be good, especially if the person was still growing "Did they get worse?"

Indigos softened "I improved the vest by adding some more shock absorption" He'd probably still bruise, but it wouldn't be nearly as bad as last time.

Ginzo nodded, pulling out the first aid kit from his bag, handing it over "Why did you put the gem in my pocket?" He inquired, pulling out the pretty amethyst from his pocket.

"They wouldn't have expected a child to have the gem" Indigos gleamed "And I wasn't going to risk getting caught by the Crows with it. He could at least fake bargain with the Crows about its location if he did get caught. At the very least it would have gained him a bit of time. He opened the kit.

The inspector's gaze narrowed as he watched Kaito tend to his injuries, he really wished that Kaito would stop doing heists. Though he knew better than to suggest it "I hope that your next heist isn't anytime soon" The way Kaito was just wiping away the blood before disinfecting and wrapping the injuries was eerie. It spoke of experience. He clenched his fists, he hated whenever he remembered that the other had been tending to his injuries all alone before he'd shrunk.

Kaito let out a breath, closing the kit "Please don't tell me that you're going to become upset after every heist?" He appreciated the worry, but he needed to do this. Who else was both crazy enough, and skilled enough to do what he was doing? "I'm fine, these are minor injuries"

Ginzo grit his teeth, children shouldn't consider deep bullet grazes to be 'minor' injuries "I can't help it" He cared for the damn boy and hated seeing him injured. It was so easy to forget about the danger while living with Kaito so it almost always dug deep when things did happen. Kaito often gave off a happy air about him and was usually willing to help. He sometimes forgot that Kaito was damaged since things had seemed so much better recently.

The boy bit his lip, the inspector was too caring "I'm doing my best to prevent injuries" His gaze lowered to the ground, he didn't like disappointing Ginzo "I've been slacking off on my workouts" He had put the cure as his main priority "I'll start them up again so that I'll dodge better next time" There would always be a next time until he either died or beat the Crows.

"Fine" His shoulders slumped, he knew that Kaito wouldn't stop. Hell, he truly understood the other's reasoning, he just didn't like it "I'll eventually learn to deal with it better" He hoped that this didn't go on long enough for it to actually happen.

Indigos softened "I'm sorry, I'm still not used to people actually worrying about me" Yes people have worried about Kid, but worrying about Kid wasn't the same as worrying about Kaito. Kid was a role and Kaito was the one who played that role. Ginzo was the first one to worry about Kaito since his parents had died. He gave a small smile "Your worry means a lot to me"

Ginzo swallowed. Fuck that was messed up "You've grown on me" He huffed, tempted to hug the other.

Chapter 45: Chapter 44

Notes:

Written February 4 2020
Posted on Wattpad March 16 2020
Posted here July 24 2020

FROM NOW ON THERE WILL BE NO UPDATES ON THE LAST FRIDAY OF EACH MONTH

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Since the Violet Victory heist, Kaito had kept his word to start working out again before holding more heists. Which had been a good plan since when he did host the next few heists the Crows had really gunned for him, they really had raised the danger level. Thankfully the extra training had managed to pay off, the worst injury that he'd received from the last five heists was a bullet graze by his left ankle. It'd required the boy to give himself a few stitches and had left him limping for about a week. Ginzo had not been impressed, but hadn't been able to complain since the injury was minor compared to what could have happened.

"I'm so glad that we have heating" Kaito breathed, resisting the urge to shiver at the early December chill. He'd lived in colder conditions with less insulation before, but now his body was used to the warmth that indoor heating provided.

Ginzo nodded "It's hard to believe that it's almost been 6 months..." Six months of being stuck as a child, allowing his daughter to believe that he was dead. He glanced at Kaito, it had also been six months since he'd truly met Kaito. The boy had made things more bearable for him, and he often enjoyed the other's company.

Indigos softened as the boy winced "I'm sorry..." He still hadn't managed to find a permanent cure for Ginzo. He'd taken away some of the time he'd been using for the research so that he could exercise properly instead.

The inspector shook his head "For what?" If it weren't for Kaito, he'd have probably outed himself long ago and would gotten both himself and Aoko killed as a result "It's not like I could go back right away anyways" The Crows were still out there.

Kaito let out a soft sigh, wishing that his biology and chemistry skills were higher than they already were "There's going to be another heist in a few days" While his book skills were lacking, he could work on luring the crows. It was the least he could do for Ginzo, since the other did have a life to return to, unlike him "I'll send out the heist note a day before like normal" The extra time for preparation really helped, especially since the Crows had brought out even more skilled snipers last time.

Ginzo raised a brow, the last Kid heist had been little more than a week ago "What's the target?"

"The Sea's Regret" It was a modest, but large emerald cut into the usual square design "I was initially going to go after the Mermaid's Heart, but it's already left Japan for now"

The inspector knit his brows together in thought "Those were displayed at the new museum in Osaka, the one near the water?"

Kaito smirked at Ginzo's knowledge "Yeah, the Taisho Gem Museum" The place wasn't gaining that much attention so it was at risk of shutting down "I figured that if Kid gave it a visit, more people would visit it" As it was, gems were already being sent away to other museums, thankfully the Sea's Regret wasn't scheduled to be shipped anytime soon.

Ginzo snorted, leave it to Kaito to try to help out a museum by stealing from it "Since it's going to be in Osaka, you've already booked the tickets haven't you?"

"Of course" Indigos gleamed "We're heading out by train tomorrow so that I can set up in time"

"How early?" He squinted at the boy suspiciously, it was currently around 9pm, nearing 10.

"We need to get to the station before 9" Kaito offered, grinning. He wasn't really thinking all that much when he'd booked the tickets. He'd just snatched ones that were early in the morning, not really thinking about how it was already getting late.

Ginzo let out a breath, it could have been worse "I'm going to go to sleep then"

Kaito nodded, opting to stay outside for a good while longer. Indigos narrowed at the new blue and purple capsule in his hand. It was the exact same formula as the last one he'd given Ginzo, except that he'd added some chemicals to temporarily numb the other's pain receptors. Thankfully the numbing agents hadn't interfered with the main formula. He knew that the numbing agents only worked on the pain receptors because he'd tried it out on himself before adding it to the cure. He'd stabbed his own leg and hadn't really felt any pain, just the feeling of something going through his flesh. He'd also been able to move his whole body properly.

He pocketed the pill, deciding that he'd give it to Ginzo in the morning before they left. Though he'd make sure to tell him that it wasn't really a different formula so that the inspector wouldn't randomly decide to test it like last time. Indigos darkened, it probably wouldn't mask all of Ginzo's pain, but it should at least prevent him from passing out. He let out a tired sigh before heading to bed.

Ginga covered his yawn with a hand as they exited the station. He hadn't slept well, which was normal for him whenever he was aware of an upcoming heist. Though now instead of the anticipation of catching Kid being the cause of his insomnia, he was kept up by his worry for Kaito. There may not have been many injuries during the last few heists, but there had been plenty of close calls.

Kite smiled sympathetically, knowing the cause of the other's drowsiness "You can go back to sleep once we reach our hotel Ginga" It made him feel both guilty and happy that the other was so worried whenever he pulled a heist. He grabbed Ginga's hand for appearance's sake.

"I'll be fine" It would just make it harder to fall asleep tonight if he slept more. He stuck his hand into his pocket, palming the plastic container that held the temporary cure. It was reassuring to have.

"Okay" The other wasn't actually a child, so Kite wouldn't tell him what to do.

Notes:

FROM NOW ON THERE WILL BE NO UPDATES ON THE LAST FRIDAY OF EACH MONTH

Chapter 46: Chapter 45 Eavesdropping, Chatting

Notes:

Written February 6 2020
Posted on Wattpad March 21 2020
Posted here August 7 2020

Chapter Text

Kid peered cautiously out from between the holes of the sewer drain that he was currently residing in. His outfit was his normal black sweater, sweatpants, and baseball cap that he wore for casual recon. It blended in well with the sewer's shadows "He really managed to bring in Scorpion?" Indigos gleamed with curiosity as he listened in on the conversation. If only he could get closer without drawing any suspicion to himself, but he couldn't since he couldn't move sewers.

"Yeah, Kid's been getting more and more active lately" So his actions really were putting more pressure on the Crows? Kid smirked, pleased that his efforts were worthwhile "We need to either remove him or capture him" The man shrugged "Capture would be ideal, but killing him will work too"

The thief blinked, why would they want to capture him? Sure he'd understand if they thought that he had Pandora, but they knew that he didn't have it. One of the men released a breath "Scorpion has a perfect kill streak so far, Kid's as good as dead" Kid scowled, no he wasn't! He wouldn't let this Scorpion person take him down. There was a beeping sound before the sound of retreating footsteps met the thief's ears.

Indigos narrowed as he slipped out of the sewer, making sure to put the grate back exactly how it was. He gave himself a quick sniff and grimaced, he'd have to cover or wash away the gross scent before continuing his recon. People noticed when others smelt and it wouldn't do to attract attention like that.

He glanced at his watch, noting that he'd spent almost the entire day going through air ducts and sewers. He didn't like going through sewers, but with how aggressive the Crows have been lately, it was a good backup route in case his regular routes got cut off. He raised his arms above his head, relishing the stretch. Maybe he should call it a day, he still had a little over a day left to prepare.

Ginzo grimaced when Kaito appeared in their hotel room "Why the hell do you smell so bad?" He covered his nose with his hands "You reek" Had the boy been dumpster diving or something? He wouldn't have been surprised if he had been with how bad he smelled.

Kaito snickered, indigos gleaming "Sorry, I can't smell it anymore" A true blessing in disguise.

The inspector's gaze narrowed "Go take a shower before the smell decides to linger" He didn't want to be smelling that for the rest of their stay.

"That's the plan" The boy replied as he grabbed a change of clothes and headed off towards the washroom. It wouldn't do for him to still stink when he went out tomorrow. Especially since the heist was scheduled for the day after the next at 1am. It'd been a while since he'd had a heist around that time.

Once Kaito was in the shower, Ginzo decided to send Danashi a message to tell him the general area where they were. He liked having the Superintendent around during heists because the man had enough power that he could potentially help if something went wrong. It hadn't missed his attention that the man had started attending the heists more often after Kaito's visit to him. Since Danashi was going to be there either way, he may as well make it easier for the man.

He then went back to reading one of Kaito's many crime novels, he'd lost count of how many of them that he'd read by now. Though he figured that it had to at least be over 100, yet he still hadn't really made a dent in Kaito's book collection. Every time he'd managed to read most of them, the next day the books that he'd already read get replaced and the old books got whisked off to who knows where. It kind of confused him on how Kaito could have possibly obtained so many books. Very few of them had library stamps. Maybe he randomly borrowed them without the owner's knowledge?

After an unknown amount of time had passed, Kaito stepped out of the bathroom, wearing clean clothes. In his arms was a sealed bag that contained the clothes that he'd been wearing before.

Ginzo looked up from his book, noting that he couldn't smell the boy anymore, thank god "Can we order some sushi?" Kaito never opted for take out food unless Ginzo asked for it, though he almost always agreed when he did.

"Sure, it's been a while" Sushi was nice, and since they didn't have to prep it themselves, they could be lazy. He glanced at Ginzo "You want the usual?" He knew what the inspector liked, but it couldn't hurt to ask. What if the other wanted to try something different for a change?

"That would work" Ginzo replied.

Kaito nodded, taking out his phone to order their food. He blushed as his stomach growled, reminding him that he'd forgotten to eat lunch. His body wasn't used to him skipping meals anymore.

Ginzo raised a brow, having heard the growl "You should have eaten" He scolded once the boy had finished the call. It wouldn't do for Kaito to not be in top form for the heist.

"I got really into scoping out the place" He avoided the other's gaze "I didn't mean to skip lunch" He truly hadn't since he knew how much it upset Ginzo whenever he skipped a meal.

The inspector sighed "Just try to remember to eat next time" Kaito was still quite thin, and it was proving to be quite difficult to get the boy to gain weight since he was so active. At least his bones weren't too noticeable unless he looked for them.

"I'll try" His stomach growled again, causing the boy to blush.

"At least I know that you're not likely to skip two meals in a row" Ginzo smirked, amused by the other's pout.

Kaito opted to turn on the TV instead of answering. Hopefully the food would arrive soon so that his stomach would stop growling.

Chapter 47: Chapter 46 Docks

Notes:

Written February 11 2020
Posted on Wattpad March 23 2020
Posted here August 14 2020

Chapter Text

The night air had a crisp chill to it as Kid let out a silent sigh, pocketing the night's target. He was feeling a little unnerved that nothing had happened yet that was out of the ordinary for one of his heists. He glanced up at the moon, admiring it's soft glow before bringing out his hang glider. Since the Crows had neglected to show up, he might as well make his exit flashy. Veiled indigos gleamed as a small smile tugged at his lips, it had been a while since he'd actually escaped via the sky.

Ginga let out a relieved breath when he spotted Kid's familiar white silhouette hop off of the museum's roof, soaring through the sky. Another injury free heist it would seem, which was a relief. He tuned out the crowd's cheering in favour of following the glider's trajectory. They were to meet up near the water since there wouldn't be very many people there this late at night.

A few moments later the cheers turned into screams, Ginga whipped his gaze back towards the sky, heart lurching at the sight of Kid falling. The glider closely following Kid's descent. The inspector picked up the pace, quickly calculating the angle of descent as he ran. Just what had caused the other to let go of the glider?! Especially so high up in the sky?! He swallowed, feeling sick, hopefully Kid had survived the fall. He didn't want to think about the other option.

He was panting, almost out of breath when he paused his running. The inspector let out a few sharp curses as he viewed the water, it's waves were rolling darkly. He'd momentarily forgotten that Kid had been heading towards the docks. What if Kid had fallen into the water? "Ki-Kaito!" His voice shook as he called out the other's name, opting to call for Kaito, instead of an international jewel thief. It was safer that way.

Ginzo stood there panting for a few moments as he desperately listened for a response, calling again when he got none. Oh god, Kaito couldn't have drowned right? Wasn't drowning supposed to be a horrible way to die? His eyes burned as he scanned the docks, searching for that familiar white suite. He clenched his fists, he wouldn't give up searching. He absolutely refused to believe that the boy he's spent almost half a fucking year with would just go and die like that.

A small, broken whimper escaped Kaito's lips. His head was killing him and he could barely see anything. Where was he? He was cold, really cold, and wet? Why was he wet? He tried to move his head to look around, only for more darkness to swamp his vision, causing him to lose hold of whatever he'd been clinging onto. He hadn't even realized that he'd been clinging onto something.

He spluttered, flailing weakly as he was suddenly dragged under the water by his own weight. The salty water caused his right eye and the surrounding area to burn, the pain building as it slipped into his airways as well. He couldn't breathe! Panic overwhelmed him as his struggles strengthened, allowing him to blindly grab onto something to pull himself up until his upper body was out of the water. Kaito coughed and spluttered, forcing water out of his lungs as he laid there gasping for air. A large tremble ran through his frame as the last bits of water spewed from his lips before he felt his muscles go limp. He didn't have the energy to pull himself back up all the way.

Kaito rested his head against the object, ignoring the disgusting, slimy feeling as he focused on his breathing. Breathe in and out, in and out, in and out, that was good. Breathing was good, he needed to keep doing that. It smelt really fishy, there was water all around, so had he grabbed onto a fishing net? Indigos closed, the effort of keeping them open was too much for him. He was exhausted, and everything just hurt too much.

God why the hell were the docks so dark? Ginzo was feeling frantic as he continued to look under every part of the docks. He'd already been searching for a good while, and had yet to find Kaito. There wasn't much time left before Kaito actually froze to death. His gaze darkened, had Kaito truly drowned and had gotten washed away? He shook his head, clearing away those thoughts. No, he was alive. He had to be.

He ran over towards one of the farther areas, one that he hadn't yet checked. He then crouched down onto his knees, leaning over the edge so that he could check under the docks. The visibility was horrible so he had to check each area separately.

Ginzo sucked in a breath, the faint white of Kaito's suit immediately drawing his attention "Kaito!" The boy was barely clinging onto an old fish net, the bodies of decaying fish were keeping Kaito afloat. Panic filled the inspector when he noted that blood covered the other's face. Oh god, how much had he been bleeding?! And what about the fish? He needed to grab Kaito right away before his injuries got even more contaminated. His gaze narrowed as he looked around, he didn't know how to get Kaito out from under there. The boy was bigger than him.

Wait, the Pill! Ginzo quickly glanced around, when he spotted no people he removed his clothing before swallowing the pill. The pain caused him to stagger, almost slipping into the water. He grit his teeth, he could handle this level of pain. He was not going to pass out, Kaito needed him.

By the time he was fully grown he was panting, but still fully conscious. He then jumped into the water, cursing at the frigid temperature as he swam over towards Kaito, removing the extended limbs from the boy before cradling him against his chest. His eyes burned as he felt the icy body trembling.

As soon as they were out of the water, Ginzo bundled Kaito up with the clothes that he'd been wearing since they'd only be a bit small on the boy. Then he snagged a larger set of clothes from the boy's belongings for himself. They were wet, but it would do. He'd be arrested if he ran around naked while holding Kaito.

Chapter 48: Chapter 47 Worry, Fear

Notes:

Written February 14 2020
Posted on Wattpad March 28 2020
Posted here August 21 2020

NEXT UPDATE September 4 2020

Chapter Text

Ginzo hid in the shadows near the road, Kaito was held closely to his chest, torn fabric wrapped hastily over Kaito's right eye. Hopefully his own body warmth would help him. The wet clothes felt gross now that they were partially warm. His eyes burned as he waited for Danashi, he'd called the superintendent for help since Kaito truly needed proper medical attention. Kaito's smaller frame was violently trembling, despite the unnatural warmth that exuded from the boy. The inspector grit his teeth, he wasn't stupid. He knew that Kaito had gotten ill from either the cold or his injuries, maybe even both.

The wait felt like hours, even though it had probably been less than 10 minutes since he'd called. He let out a breath, relief palpable when he spotted Danashi's car pull up. The windows were tinted since it was his personal car.

"Thank you" Ginzo breathed as he quickly slipped into the back seat, it would be easier to care for Kaito with the extra room. He could have probably dropped Kaito off at a hospital before hiding, but then there would have been too many questions. There would have been a lot of eyes on the boy after that.

"It's no problem" Danashi replied, brows knit in worry as he drove "I've called one of my family doctors in to one of our clinics" He stated "I told him that Kaito was a victim in an ongoing abuse case" That meant that the doctor wouldn't ask as many questions, nor would they be as suspicious.

The inspector wiped a bit of sweat off of Kaito's brow, his hand trembling a bit as he did so "Is he good?" He didn't want to risk Kaito's health with a bad doctor.

Danashi's eyes softened at the audible worry in Ginzo's voice "Dr.Kalos is one of our best doctors. He's been working for my family for years" He sped the car up a bit to narrowly dodge a red light "He'll be there before we arrive, or he'll arrive shortly after" It depended on the traffic.

Ginzo nodded silently, he wasn't in the mood to talk anymore. For the rest of the ride he gazed out the window, fingers running through the boy's hair in an attempt to soothe him. He wasn't sure if he was thankful for the other's unconsciousness or not.

When they arrived Ginzo gently handed Kaito over to Danashi, he didn't want to, but it was too dangerous for him to be spotted "Please take care of him" His voice broke a bit "I'll be back when I can" Which could be hours from now. He closed his eyes, clenching his teeth. He didn't want to leave Kaito.

"Kaito will be in good hands" The superintendent assured before turning away to run into the clinic.

Ginzo swallowed, eyes watery as he forced himself to walk away. The more distance he put between them the better, especially since he was supposedly dead in the eyes of the law. He glanced around, taking in his surroundings for the first time. Their shared hotel room was too far away to travel to right now, at least as himself. A small shiver ran through him, making him rub his arms in an attempt to warm up a bit. Hadn't Kaito pointed out a tiny safe house around here? It apparently wasn't large because most of his heists took place in Tokyo, but Kid did visit Osaka often enough to warrant a small place. He let out a breath, he'd stay there until it was safe for him to visit Kaito.

A long and filthy string of curses escaped from Ginzo's mouth as he glanced at the clock. It had taken almost a whole day for the stupid pill to wear off! The safe house hadn't had any windows, and he'd avoided looking at his watch after the first few hours. Watching the minutes go by little by little had been torture.

He quickly slipped into a dark grey hoodie and brown pants that obviously belonged to Kaito. They were somewhat big on his shrunken frame but they were smaller than the many adult sized clothing choices. Which meant that Kaito hadn't visited this place since he'd shrunk. Thankfully the food had been canned and not yet expired.

Danashi hadn't called him, but he wasn't going to wait any longer. He needed to check on Kaito. Ginzo quietly slipped out, making sure to lock it back up properly, knowing that Kaito would be upset to see it ransacked by thieves. It was nearing 9 at night so it was conveniently dark out. That meant that there would be less eyes around to spot him slipping into the clinic.

When he spotted Ginzo's tiny form cautiously peering around, Danashi felt pity for the guy. Dark circles surrounded the other's eyes, and Ginzo was actually trembling a bit "Ginga" He greeted softly.

Ginga flinched, head whipping around at the call of his alias "Hakuba-san..." He breathed, quickly running up to the taller man "How is he?" Kaito couldn't have died right? He hadn't called and no news was good news.

Danashi let out a weary breath before pursing his lips "Follow me into his room" There would be a lot more privacy there.

The inspector felt a bit of fear ice his veins as he followed Danashi, something must have happened. Danashi hadn't told him that Kaito was okay "Is he alive?" He had to know at least that.

"For now, yes" Ginga froze "But he's really weak due to infection and some fluid buildup in his lungs" He gave Ginga's shoulder a quick squeeze "Kaito's a strong boy"

Ginga blinked away a few tears as he nodded, Kaito was one of the strongest people that he knew. He wouldn't let something like this beat him "Has he woken up yet?"

Danashi shook his head "No, they only finished working on him a little while ago"

"Why" He furrowed his brows, he hadn't noticed that bad of an injury on Kaito.

The superintendent opened a door, slipping in before motioning for Ginga to do the same "Dr.Kalos tried to save his eye, but the infection would have spread too deep if it had stayed in any longer" He paused "It had to be removed to save his life"

Chapter 49: Chapter 48 Condition

Notes:

Written February 15 2020
Posted on Wattpad March 30 2020
Posted here September 4 2020

Chapter Text

The inspector froze, he hadn't noticed that Kaito's eye had been that injured "His eye didn't look too bad when I checked..." How could he have missed such an injury?

"He was probably unconscious the whole time you had him right?" At Ginzo's nod Danashi continued "Shards of glass, probably from his monocle were embedded into his eye" He gave the other's shoulder a reassuring squeeze "Dr. Kalos had said that if not for the infection, the damage would have at the very least blinded Kaito" His gaze softened sympathetically at how Ginzo grit his teeth "From what I've learned about Kaito so far" He offered a small smile "I just know that he won't let the loss of an eye hold him back for long"

Ginzo nodded, eyes burning despite the reassurance "So he should wake up soon?" He inquired as they continued walking deeper into the room. There were three beds in sight, with a curtain cutting through the room. He swallowed, Kaito was probably in the last bed that was probably behind the curtain.

Danashi stopped him a moment before he reached the curtains "If he were allowed to, yes" At Ginzo's confusion he explained "I asked Dr. Kalos if it would be safe to keep him under for a few days at least. He said that it wouldn't cause Kaito any harm"

He scowled "Why the hell do you want to keep him unconscious?" His words were a low growl.

The superintendent wasn't fazed by the other's anger "To let him heal a bit, he can't feel the pain as much when he's unconscious" His gaze narrowed "You know how stubborn Kaito can be" Ginzo had often complained to him about it by phone "He might try to push himself too quickly in an attempt to seem better than he is"

Ginzo grimaced, he could actually see Kaito doing that "What else is wrong with him?" Keeping Kaito unconscious just for his eye seemed like a bit much.

"He's also recovering from mild hypothermia and blood loss" The main thing that saved the boy had probably been his Kid suit. It's fabric material was highly resistant to cold and retained warmth better than any other fabric that they knew of. Kaito would have long since died without the suit.

Ginzo nodded, that wasn't unexpected considering how he'd found Kaito "And?" He glanced at the curtain, it was tempting to just slip past it.

"An unknown chemical was circulating his bloodstream, so Dr . Kalos flushed it out as he administered fresh blood" Danashi pursed his lips "It didn't register as dangerous, but he did some tests and found out that it affected Kaito's growth hormone production" He glanced at Ginzo "Do you know if he's been in contact with anything strange?"

The inspector was silent for a few moments before remembering the occasional complaint that Kaito had whenever he spent too long in his lab "He told me that there's some weird fumes or air in his lab" He wanted to hit himself for not pursuing the subject further "It makes him feel sick if he's down there for too long"

Danashi nodded "That should be investigated later" He let out a breath "He should start growing properly now that his bloodstream is clear. Dr. Kalos is currently producing the X-Rays to check for both injuries and bone age"

So Kaito won't stay really tiny, that was good. If the boy grew more. he'd in turn become stronger physically and be able to defend himself better "That's at least some good news for Kaito" Kaito had been quite defensive about his height when he'd realized just how tiny the boy actually was. Especially since it was obvious that he was short when one thought about how he was a thirteen year old that was only a few inches taller than a seven year old.

"I hadn't really seen him properly before until now" Danashi admitted, it had been shocking once he'd actually had time to think about it "I understand now how protective you are of him"

Ginzo blushed a bit "Of course I am, he's a child" A stupid, little annoying child who'd managed to worm his way into his heart. He didn't know what he'd do if Kaito got himself killed.

"You love him" Danashi's eyes softened.

He crossed his arms across his chest "It's hard not to" Ginzo huffed. Kaito did everything in his power to make sure that he was doing okay, not to mention that the boy was actually fun to be around. It was hard not to grow more and more attached to him as time went on. He just wanted to bundle up the little shit in a safety bubble. The idiot needed someone to make sure that he didn't die.

"He's a good kid" Danashi moved the curtain to the side a bit to let Ginzo through. He couldn't help but wonder what would happen when these Crows did eventually go down. Would Ginzo actually let Kaito turn himself in? The man seemed to adore Kaito "Remember, he won't wake up today"

Ginzo sucked in a breath, immediately rushing to Kaito's side. The boy had both an IV and blood bag connected to him, the red bag making Kaito's pale skin stand out so much more. There were various other machines connected to him as well "I should have found him sooner..." He breathed, gently taking hold of Kaito's hand. Had Kaito been conscious for any length of time before being found? He hoped not.

"You found him in time, and that's what matters" Danashi replied. The scars that littered the boy's body were horrifying, but the other didn't even blink at them "At least this time he won't be alone in his recovery" So many bullet wounds, laceration scars, and burns. Just how the hell could the boy stand to even smile? Hopefully his newest injuries wouldn't be a tipping point.

"Of course" He wouldn't leave Kaito, doing it the other day had been bad enough. His eyes burned as he thought about how many times Kaito had healed all alone in that horrible house in the woods.

Chapter 50: Chapter 49 Wake

Notes:

Written February 28 2020
Posted on Wattpad April 4 2020
Posted here September 11 2020

Chapter Text

The idea of keeping Kaito unconscious for a few days actually turned into a week, mainly because they'd wanted to make sure that Kaito was healing properly. Ginzo let out a breath as he watched the boy sleep, the X-Rays had been horrifying. While Kaito currently had no broken bones or fractures, there had been many indications of past injuries not being allowed to heal properly visible on his X-Rays. Kaito had broken over a hundred bones so far, which was scary considering how young he was.

Ginzo's gaze darkened as he once again thought about how young Kaito was, his bones apparently said that he was a bit younger than 10. Which if he thought about the timeline, it made some sense that his growth had been hindered around that age if he'd started up the lab early in his career as Kid. What would have happened if Kaito hadn't been injured bad enough to warrant a hospital?

He'd been thinking of Kaito as a young child due to his appearance, but in reality Kaito was a young teenager. He just couldn't see the other as such yet, maybe when he started growing properly he would. Thankfully Kaito had a fair chance of catching up in height, or at least not look like a child by the time he stopped growing.

It would be interesting to see Kaito grow up, his gaze softened as he observed Kaito's sleeping form. The boy would be waking up any moment now since they'd stopped administering whatever had been keeping Kaito under. Now Kaito wasn't hooked up to anything. Unfortunately since Kaito was a good actor, they'd minimized the pain medication as well, pain was useful for gauging someone's health.

Kaito grimaced, curling up a bit in an attempt to ward off the pain. The horrible coldness was gone, no longer leaching away the warmth, but the pain was still there. A small whine passed through his lips as he curled the fabric around himself, it was soft, and dry.

"Kaito?" Ginzo's voice was soft as he called out to the other, the boy just gave another small whine, bundling himself up in the blankets.

He heard someone talking but he didn't really care, he didn't sense danger from them so it was fine to ignore them. He just wanted to curl up into a safe little ball and wait for the pain to go away. He felt too exhausted to do anything else.

The inspector became concerned when Kaito didn't really acknowledge him, the boy usually paid him at least some attention when contacted. He also wanted to know why Kaito wasn't freaking out at being in an unfamiliar place. Since the boy had bundled himself up away from him, Ginzo had to climb up onto the bed to reach him. Stupid short arms "Kaito" He gently nudged Kaito in an attempt to get his attention.

Kaito felt the ground shift under him, but that was fine. It wasn't sinking. When he felt something tough him he leaned against it, it was solid, and solid was safe. It was even more solid than the ground.

Ginzo blinked, maybe Kaito was still being affected by the medication, considering that he all but passed out against him. Did the boy even open his eye? Or was he still too drugged up to notice that half his vision was gone? His eyes softened as he gently pet Kaito's unruly locks, at the very least the boy was in pain. He didn't think that Kaito would have made those sounds otherwise if he was fully aware.

The inspector tried to slip away, but was stopped by the other clutching at his shirt. His shoulders sagged as he glanced at the time, it was late. He'd shared a bed with Kaito for a good while, so he might as well get some sleep now instead of bothering him.

Ginzo was awoken a few hours later by a wetness on his chest, and soft whimpers. Shit, was Kaito having a nightmare? He wouldn't blame the boy if he was. He opened his eyes to see that Kaito had latched onto him in his sleep, and was now trembling as tears fell from his good eye while bits of blood speckled the bandages over his missing eye.

Cold, so cold, and dark. He couldn't see anything, could only feel the coolness of the water as it tugged at him, trying to drag him into it's depths. He clawed desperately at the rotting fish, only for the decaying flesh to give way, already weakened from time. Kaito. He scrambled for something to grab onto, coughing and choking when the bits under him gave way. It burned, his throat, his lungs, the icy water burned, while at the same time chilling his core. Kaito wake up! He cried out as he flailed, struggling against the icy grip. It was stealing his energy! He continued to fight against it, against the numbness, against the...

Kaito gasped, jolting awake. Indigo snapping open in a panic. He saw Ginzo, but where was he?! He moved to pull away from the inspector, to scope the area, but was instead grabbed tightly "Calm down!" Ginzo hissed, worried at how Kaito's whole frame was trembling.

"Where?!" Kaito's voice was laced with fear, this looked like a hospital, he shouldn't be here. Couldn't be here. Why was he here?! "We need to leave" He stated, squirming to get out of Ginzo's grip. God the guy was strong. He felt his heart rate pick up a bit "It's dangerous" Why did Ginzo put them in so much danger?  His eye narrowed as he tried to formulate a plan to protect Ginzo's daughter, if she hadn't already been killed that is.

Shit "Kaito calm down" Ginzo breathed, both amazed and concerned about the blatant fear exuding from the boy. He was fucking terrified. He swallowed, was this fear new, or just something that had been hidden from him? His eyes burned at the thought of it being the latter, the panic hadn't really started until Kaito had realized where they were.

Chapter 51: Chapter 50

Notes:

Written March 1 2020
Posted on Wattpad April 6 2020
Posted here September 18 2020

NEXT UPDATE October 2 2020

Chapter Text

Calm down? There was no way that he could calm down! Kaito's mind raced as he thought about their options. If the Crows were crazy enough to seek out a magic jewel, they'd probably be desperate enough to go after anything that could potentially connect to Kid. The Crows know that Kid had been hurt, and an injured boy so close to the heist, without any identification would draw some attention. At the very least they'd collect prints, and some of those prints could belong to Ginzo, someone who was supposed to be dead.

Ginzo frowned when Kaito suddenly stilled, that was either a good thing, or a bad thing "We're safe" He breathed, shifting his grip on the other so that it would be more efficient if Kaito tried to struggle again.

Kaito shook his head "Impossible, the Crows are everywhere" His words were dull. He'd thought that he'd managed to make Ginzo understand how dangerous they were, how could he think that they were safe? He lowered his head, they'd probably already been found. His breath hitched, it was only a matter of time now until they were killed, until Ginzo was killed. Then his daughter would die, because she was a loose end. The Crows didn't like loose ends.

Fuck, he almost preferred it when Kaito had been struggling. Now the boy was just limp in his arms as his body shook "It's been a week Kaito" Ginzo gripped Kaito's head and forced the other to meet his gaze "They haven't found us" The boy was breathing fast, too fast.

Indigo dilated "A week?" He'd been out for that long? He swallowed, mouth suddenly dry "How?" his voice was small, trembling.

The inspector let out a breath, letting go of Kaito's face to ruffle the boy's hair "Hakuba-san helped, your info is sealed due to him claiming that you're a victim of abuse" Nobody but the doctor and Danashi knew that they were at the clinic.

Kaito swayed a bit, catching himself by grabbing Ginzo's arm, the adrenaline was fading from his system. Ginzo wasn't going to die, he was safe, for now. He let out a low hiss, clutching at his right eye "Fuck..." He wanted the adrenaline back.

"Who taught you such a filthy word?" Danashi mused as he entered the room, it was relieving to see that the boy was up and about.

A crooked smile tugged at Kaito's lips as he pointed at Ginzo with the hand not clutching at his eye "Keibu taught me worse" The man was quite skilled at swearing, especially when he was riled up.

Ginzo snorted, not bothering to defend himself. Kid had really pissed him off in the past, and everyone who knew anything about the heists knew that.

Danashi eyed the inspector before turning back towards Kaito "How do you feel?" They'd already decided that Dr.Kalos would have minimal access to Kaito while the boy was awake. Another person knowing him might unnerve Kaito.

Kaito grimaced "My eye hurts a lot" A mischievous glint suddenly appeared within indigo "I need drugs" He was also feeling a bit tired, but that was fine. Ginzo couldn't help but smirk at Kaito's word choice.

"Your eye doesn't hurt" At Kaito's confused face Danashi explained "It's where your eye used to be that hurts" Hiding the information wouldn't do anything but delay the inevitable.

The boy gently prodded around the bandages, so his eye was gone? He didn't really know how he felt about that "My monocle got shot..." He breathed, he glanced over at Ginzo "How?"

"How what?" Ginzo sighed, Kaito's reaction to the news was kinda lacklustre. There were many things that Kaito could be asking about right now.

"How did I get here?" How was he still alive? He shuddered, remembering the cold, the darkness, the... "Ow" Kaito jolted, squinting at Ginzo. Did the guy just poke near his injury?!

The inspector raised a brow in response, he'd seen Kaito start to zone out. The boy needed to stay in the present "I took the pill and dragged you out of the water" His gaze darkened as he remembered how small Kaito had seemed, especially in the oversized Kid suit once he'd removed the limbs.

"Thank you" Indigo closed, shaking his head as he was reminded of that darkness. He opened his eye to meet Ginzo's gaze, offering a tired but wry grin "The pills had been intended to protect you, but it didn't really work out that way" God he was tired, but at least he was still alive to go after the Crows. He didn't think that he would have survived without Ginzo's help.

"You can't just go and get yourself killed" Ginzo scoffed, crossing his arms "I need to to perfect the cure" It was more than that, but he chose to say the reason that would affect Kaito the most. Truthfully he'd be fine if he stayed tiny after the Crows were gone, he could still be with Aoko then, and Kaito?... He was conflicted when he thought about the boy's future after the Crows. He eyed the boy "Why are you so calm about losing your eye?"

Kaito gave a small shrug "It's just an eye" It wasn't like it's loss would affect anything besides his sight and appearance "I'll just make a really fancy false eye in my lab" A missing eye was a noticeable feature, so he needed to look normal to avoid attention.

"You can't go there anymore" Ginzo breathed, gaze darkening at the thought of the lab "The fumes were affecting your health"

The boy raised a brow "I felt fine so long as I wasn't in there for too long"

"They were stunting your body's growth hormones production" Danashi replied "Do you not want to actually look your age?"

Indigo widened, he'd thought that it was his diet that made him so small "I'm not going to stay short?" His size would have made him a target when he went to jail, any growth was good in his book. He frowned "But I need the lab" For both the cure, and his heists. Ginzo's cure was more important than his height problem.

Chapter 52: Chapter 51 I Care About You! Damn It!

Notes:

Written March 6 2020
Posted on Wattpad April 11 2020
Posted here October 2 2020

Chapter Text

Ginzo grimaced, realizing that Kaito was right. The other needed to use the lab to create the cure and whatever weird things Kaito decides to use for his heists "Maybe you can find a way to filter the lab's air?" There were ways to purify air weren't there?

"I've already tried" Kaito sighed, swaying slightly "But the air just goes back to being all weird" The whole place had probably gotten too contaminated for just air purification to work.

Danashi's gaze darkened "That doesn't sound good" He mused "Have you tested the soil?"

Kaito blinked "No..." He frowned "But I probably should have" What if he'd actually seriously contaminated the area? He did use a lot of odd and dangerous chemicals. He gave Ginzo a worried glance "We need to test Keibu for the contamination" Hopefully Ginzo had been spared "I can do the tests myself once I know what I'm looking for" Thankfully Ginzo hadn't been allowed in his lab, nor had he been in that house for too long.

"With what lab?" The inspector scoffed, crossing his arms. There was no way in hell that he'd allow Kaito back into such a dangerous area.

The boy let out a breath, he was starting to feel a little ill for some reason "It's not like it's killing me" He replied, avoiding Ginzo's gaze. He gave a small shrug "If stunting my growth will allow Keibu to get his life back, then I'd gladly do it" He really wanted to grow, but his height was nothing compared to what would happen if Ginzo never got cured. The inspector needed to return to his life, to his daughter and friends.

Ginzo bristled, gritting his teeth as he shot Kaito a sharp glare "Why are you so insistent on putting others before yourself?!" He hissed, low enough to not attract attention. He couldn't really remember an instance where Kaito put himself first. He wanted to give the boy a good smack on the head, but refrained due to his injury "Do you even realize how selfish you're acting?"

Indigo narrowed in confusion "Selfish?" But he was doing his best to help, how could that be selfish?

"I care about you damn it" He'd grown attached to Kaito, there was no way that he could deny it "And you're disregarding my feelings to suit your own views" Ginzo growled, grabbing Kaito's shoulders to give him a little shake "Yes your actions have been what's best for my physical health, but I just can't stand it when you belittle and disregard what's best for you" How many fucking times does he have to do this?

Indigo widened, he hadn't really thought about that. His eyes began to burn a bit, the right more than the left "I'm sorry..." He'd known that Ginzo had cared about him a lot, but he'd disregarded that fact more often than not whenever he made decisions that negatively impacted him. He bit his lip, god he was an idiot "I can't help it" His tone was soft "You have so much waiting for you compared to me, that it never seems worth it to put myself before you" Ginzo had a family, friends, a job, responsibilities, and a more normal upbringing. And what did he have? Thieving, magic, and sex skills. The closest person to both a friend or family member was Ginzo! And that was only because the inspector had gone and gotten himself shrunk. He was a horrible person compared to Ginzo, especially since Ginzo's misfortune was the best thing that had ever happened to him.

Ginzo was a bit startled when Kaito swayed again, but this time he fell unconscious. A frown tugged at his lips as he gently moved Kaito into a more comfortable position before wiping away the boy's tears "Why is blood coming out of his right eye?" He breathed, feeling a bit lost. The conversation with Kaito had ended prematurely. There was still more they needed to talk about.

"His tear ducts were probably damaged" Danashi replied "There's about a 50/50 chance of his eye not being able to produce tears once it heals properly" He'd kinda felt like an intruder as he'd just stood there awkwardly listening in on their conversation.

The inspector's eyes darkened "I see..." Ginzo swallowed, breaking his gaze away from Kaito to meet Danashi's "Kaito's really fucked up in the head..." He had been even before he'd officially met him "He needs psychiatric help" Especially after the most recent events.

Danashi gave Ginzo a pitying look "I doubt that he'll accept it as things are"

Ginzo lowered his head, clenching the thin bed sheet "I know" The boy was terrified enough at the prospect of a single hospital visit. There was no way that he'd spill his guts to a stranger who'd put it on file "Damn it..." They'd have to wait until the Crows were gone, but how long until then? Not to mention the legal problems regarding Kaito.

"Is he suicidal?" Danashi inquired, he didn't know Kaito as well as Ginzo did.

Suicidal? Ginzo bit his lip, was Kaito suicidal? He'd seen no signs of self harm, and Kaito could have easily gotten himself killed by now if that were the case. But, he often talked about his future death "I don't think so" He frowned "At least not actively..." He paused for a moment "I don't think that he'd kill himself before the Crows are gone..." He suddenly felt sick "And knowing him, the idiot would think that death was too good of an escape for him..." He hadn't really thought about Kaito in regards to suicide before, but it made some sense. Now that he thought about it, did Kaito even like himself? He seemed content with everyday life, but then something would come up that would make him feel for the boy.

Danashi's gaze softened "A shame, a boy like him could do a lot of good for the world" His son had been easily entranced by Kid. He clasped Ginzo's shoulder "You love him right?" At the other's nod he continued "Then show that affection, even if it makes him uncomfortable" He glanced at Kaito "He'll need it to help with whatever trauma he's suffering from"

Chapter 53: Chapter 52

Notes:

Written March 7 2020
Posted on Wattpad April 13 2020
Posted here October 9 2020

Chapter Text

Ginzo's mood dampened further at the mention of trauma "I wonder how much the recent events have affected his mental state" He grit his teeth "And how much of it was caused by his past" Kaito didn't really act all that traumatized or truly suicidal on a daily basis, but the boy was also a great actor "God why didn't I really look into the signs?" They'd unnerved him, but he hadn't really connected the dots.

"Kaito is Kid, who is a master at hiding things" Danashi offered, his gaze softened a bit "And maybe you were so close to him that you just couldn't imagine the truth" Sometimes people just couldn't see what was there because they didn't want to see it.

The inspector lowered his gaze "I know that" He scoffed "But it still shouldn't have taken you to point it out" He let out sigh "Kaito grew up isolated, not knowing who his parents were. He didn't even know what they looked like until he had to bury their bodies" Ginzo ran a hand through his own hair "Hell, Kaito doesn't even know if 'Kaito' is his real name" God that had to screw anybody up "And then he took up his father's job as Kid, luring out the Crows all by himself while he lived on scraps earned from prostituting himself" His voice broke at that last bit, his shoulders slumped "The only thing that I've actually seen him do for pleasure is read crime novels" There were the occasional childish antics and rare teasing, but it wasn't much. He glanced back towards Kaito "And you've already seen a bit of how little he values himself"

Danashi swallowed, that was a lot for a kid so young to take on "I'll see what I can do about a lab" He breathed "In the meantime, do what I said and give him a lot of affection. It will bug him and even make him uneasy since he's unused to it, but it should help"

Ginzo nodded, remembering how Kaito often blushed whenever he did something as simple as ruffling his hair. He usually wasn't all touchy with the boy out of respect, and had often refrained from hugging Kaito, but if it would help, he'd do it "I'll try"

"Okay good" The superintendent pulled out his cell before exiting the room to leave Ginzo alone with Kaito. He needed to make a few calls. He headed towards an empty room before phoning.

"This is Saguru Hakuba speaking" His son's words were in English.

Deciding that speaking in English would make things more discreet, Danashi did so "Ah Saguru, you know that lab I had set up for you?" He'd had it made as soon as he realized that Saguru had an interest in science"

"I do father" There was a pause "Why are you asking about it?"

"Would you mind if a thief's son occupied it for a bit?" Thief was a lot safer to say than Kid, and Saguru would surely know who he's talking about. Stating it how he did wasn't lying, and it left them some possible wiggle room when legalities came to play. Kaito was good, but a fingerprint or DNA could be easily missed in a lab setting.

"Can I ask what happened?" Saguru sounded a bit worried.

Danashi smirked, Saguru and Kaito would probably get along if things had been different "The previous lab was deemed unsafe after some biological tests were done"

The sound of Saguru taking in a breath was heard "I have no objections to its use so long as the intentions are good" He was silent for a few moments "Why were tests done?" More silence "Is there anything that I could work on to help?" He was good in the lab, and he liked Kid. Though it was kinda shocking that he had a son.

His son was such a good kid. Danashi thought for a moment as he recalled how advanced Saguru was "His son lost his right eye completely due to some complications" Maybe Saguru could make a realistic eye while Kaito was busy with other things "It would save some time if you could come up with something"

There was a bit of a clatter "I'll see if I can put together some designs..." His words trailed off "One of them would have to adjust them and make it though..." He didn't know what Kid's son's eye looked like, but he could at least draft some general plans.

"Okay, thank you Saguru" Danashi replied, relieved that at least one problem had been solved so easily. Saguru's lab was designed to be highly private and only had cameras in the entrance for safety reasons.

"Have a good day Father" Saguru replied before hanging up.

Danashi pocketed his phone, now he just needed to acquire one of those fancy mask things to prevent Kaito from being contaminated again when he went to go fetch his data. There was no way that the boy would abandon all of his research.

Ginzo let out a yawn, he was starting to become bored with being in the clinic for so long, but it wasn't like he could leave Osaka to get their things. Thankfully Kaito technically didn't need to stay in the hospital any longer, they could leave as soon as the boy was up to it.

His gaze darkened a bit as he brushed a strand of hair out of Kaito's face. He'd wait until they were in their apartment to continue his talk with the boy, he had a feeling that Kaito wouldn't bring it up himself. Ginzo's eyes burned, why did Kaito have to belittle himself? He was a strong, kind, and very smart person, skilled in countless things. He had so many good traits that made him better than most. So why was it so fucking hard to make Kaito realize this? That he was actually worth something, so he should value himself more. Ginzo's resolve strengthened, from now on he wouldn't let Kaito disregard himself so easily.

He had argued before, but then Kaito would more often than not say something that he wasn't sure how to reply to.

Chapter 54: Chapter 53 Awake Again

Notes:

Written March 12 2020
Posted on Wattpad April 18 2020
Posted here October 16 2020

Chapter Text

When Kaito woke up again, he found himself alone in the room. Despite how he still felt a bit tired, the boy forced himself to get up and crawl over towards the end of his bed. He then grabbed the medical chart and began to read it, frowning when he realized that he was intentionally kept unconscious. He could have been out of this place days ago!

He sighed when he put the chart back, his injuries weren't actually all that bad, he could probably start planning his next heist any day now. Of course he wouldn't be able to actually do the heist anytime soon, Ginzo would throw a huge fit if he did. But that didn't mean that he couldn't start working on the plans. Planning was vital since he didn't really have a proper helper like his father did, and even if he wanted the help, that person was already busy caring for Ginzo's daughter. There was no way that he'd do anything that could draw attention to them.

Kaito contemplated going out to explore the clinic, but decided against it. Ginzo might freak out if he came back to an empty room.

When Ginzo slipped back into the room, he had a plate of brown rice with a side of some sort of mild soup resting on a tray. It had been tedious to play the role of Ginga just to bring in some food for Kaito "I figured that you wouldn't have wanted to eat out there" It had surprised him when he'd realized that the clinic had a very small cafeteria.

"Thank you" Kaito gave a grateful smile as he accepted the food, it didn't look the best, but it was hospital food. He settled the tray on his lap before turning towards Ginzo "I'm leaving once I'm done eating" He felt too exposed here, especially since he was here as himself.

"I figured" Ginzo sighed, there was no actual reason to force the other to rest here.

Kaito paused, spoon still in his mouth as he felt Ginzo ruffle his hair, he blushed a little. Where did that come from? He settled the spoon in the soup "It's not like I'm really injured" He just felt weak, which was normal considering the circumstances "I can rest just as easily back in the apartment, probably even better since it's familiar to me"

Just because his injury didn't affect his movement, didn't mean that it wasn't bad. He lost an eye! "I guess" Ginzo breathed, grateful that it seemed like Kaito was actually planning on resting "By the way, Hakuba-san set up an extremely private lab for you to use" He offered a small smile "You're not to go back into your old one unless it's to collect everything you need, and even then you'll have to wear a special mask" Kaito wasn't going to intentionally ruin his growth for his sake, he wouldn't allow it.

The boy lowered his head, pursing his lips "How?" It wasn't easy to construct a proper lab, let alone a private one. There shouldn't have been enough time to construct one so soon.

"He asked his son if it was okay for you to use it, and his son agreed" Ginzo explained, recalling what Danashi had told him "Apparently he'd had it made after finding out about his son's hobbies"

So it was Saguru's lab? That meant that it probably hasn't been used much. He couldn't help but grimace at the fact of being the reason why Saguru left Japan, only for him to take over the guy's lab months later "It's probably not well known then since Saguru wasn't really connected to his father's records when I initially checked..." And knowing Danashi, the lab would have a lot of fancy toys for him to play with "Okay I'll use it" He really didn't want to stay small for the rest of his life, and he trusted them.

"Good" Ginzo breathed, relieved that he wouldn't have to fight the other on this "It would have been very stupid of you if you didn't"

Kaito peered at Ginzo curiously, the inspector was acting a little odd "Did something happen that I'm unaware of?" He inquired.

Ginzo shook his head "No" His gaze softened as he ruffled Kaito's hair again "I just realized a few things" He added "It's nothing that you should worry about" Because he'll be the one to fix a few things.

Again with the touching? He scooted a bit out of Ginzo's reach "I never asked, how did the pill work?" Ginzo couldn't have passed out like last time, otherwise he'd probably have found a corpse instead of a living Kaito. People didn't last long in the sea at night, let alone in the winter at night.

"It lasted almost a whole day" He scoffed, at Kaito's raised brow he explained "I had to hide until it wore off" Unable to be there by Kaito's side. His gaze darkened "You were very close to death for a few days" It'd been terrifying, especially since he hadn't been able to do anything to help after reaching the clinic.

A whole day? That was very unexpected... Maybe the chemicals used to lessen Ginzo's pain had helped boost the effects. It wasn't as if he'd radically changed the formula or anything, or could it have been a fluke? Kaito grimaced, the only way to tell for sure was to have Ginzo try out both antidotes a few times to see which time had been the fluke, or if the added chemicals truly did boost the effects. If so, that would seriously help him in the creation of the final cure.

"What are you thinking about?" Judging by Kaito's face, it didn't seem good.

"It wasn't supposed to last that long according to my calculations..." Maybe he could make both a shorter cure and a longer cure that could be used depending on the situation "I'll need to do some more tests..." He frowned "And maybe have you take a few pills..." He didn't want to use Ginzo as a guinea pig, but the guy was the only one that the tests would work with.

Chapter 55: Chapter 54 Back Home

Notes:

Written March 14 2020
Posted on Wattpad April 20 2020
Posted here October 23 2020

NEXT UPDATE is on November 6 2020

Chapter Text

When they made it all the way back from Osaka to their apartment, Kaito tiredly flopped onto the couch. It sort of annoyed him that he was getting tired more easily than before, that meant that he secretly agreed with Ginzo about him needing rest. There was no way that he was going to verbally admit it though.

Ginzo couldn't help but shake his head at how the other just curled up on the couch, they never did get around to getting Kaito some good pain meds, but that was fine. It prevented Kaito from just ignoring the pain in favour of doing something he deemed more worthy of his time. He finished putting away their few belongings before turning towards Kaito "Hey Kaito, I need to talk to you" Now that they were in more familiar territory, the other shouldn't be as on edge.

Kaito blinked as he turned over, he'd been facing the back of the couch "What's the matter?" He inquired, holding back a wince when he accidentally put pressure on the right side of his face. Was he going to find out why Ginzo had been acting so weird?

The inspector took in a breath before releasing it "I'm not trying to cause a fight" He stated before continuing "But I'd really like to know why you value everyone more than yourself" Kaito was better than most people, so why didn't he acknowledge it? Ginzo swallowed, afraid to continue, but knowing that he had to "You act like you think that you're worthless..."

Indigo darkened a bit as Kaito glanced away, suddenly feeling uneasy "Does it really matter?" He was tired, and he wasn't sure if he could easily disappear for a bit.

"Yes Kaito, it does" Ginzo stated, slowly approaching Kaito. He didn't want the other to flee like he often did when there was a disagreement. His tone softened a bit "I care about you" A lot "So it really stings whenever you disregard yourself"

Kaito sat up so that he was no longer laying down, it was a less vulnerable position "I can't help what I feel" He breathed, hugging his knees to his chest. He shouldn't have allowed Ginzo so close, he should have known that the inspector would have gotten attached to him. His eyes burned, he wasn't worth getting attached to.

Ginzo settled himself beside Kaito "I can't either you know" He offered, gaze softening a bit "How exactly do you feel?" Maybe if Kaito told him, he'd be able to offer him some help.

"You're going to yell at me if I tell you" He knew Ginzo well enough to know that the inspector wouldn't be pleased.

He did like to yell a lot, didn't he? Ginzo grimaced "I'll let you finish and I'll try not to yell" That was the least that he could do.

Kaito bit his lip, eyes burning "I can't help but think of everyone as better than me" He lowered his head "Especially when I watch them going about their daily lives. They all just have so much" He breathed "A family, friends, school, an identity..." His voice wavered "Before, if I died, nobody would have missed me, the actual me, not Kid" He buried his face against his knees "The real me isn't even all that great either, I'm a liar and a thief" His eyes watered "And everything that I didn't steal was purchased from the money earned by letting old men fuck me!" He let out a shuddering breath "I could have done so many things to get money... But I chose to let myself be used" Because he couldn't repent yet by going to jail "I could have designed apps anonymously... or done something else" He was trembling "And now I don't have any way to punish myself anymore..." Because it would upset Ginzo if he ever found out. But maybe the guilt building up could be a good thing.

Ginzo swallowed, thoroughly shocked "You were punishing yourself?" He frowned "But you seemed glad to be able to stop" It didn't make sense.

"I was" He'd been so glad to never feel that unwanted touch ever again "But then my guilt started to grow with no way to repent for everything yet" He gave a small, bitter laugh "You know that I was excited after I found you that night?" His tone grew bitter "Once I realized that you weren't going to die, I was happy that you were trapped like that" Kaito shook his head "How messed up is that?!" He was a very bad person.

"You were lonely" Ginzo breathed, eyes burning "So of course you would jump at the first chance of company you got" He glanced down at his own hand "And you're working on the cure, even though you didn't have to" He would have never expected Kaito to be able to make the cure if the other hadn't told him he would.

"I'm so messed up" Even he could see that there was something wrong with himself.

Ginzo scooted a bit closer so that he could wrap Kaito up in a big hug "That's fine considering the circumstances" His tone was soft "I still managed to grow to love you, even with how you are"

Kaito couldn't help the blush that darkened his face, thankfully it was still resting against his knees. He sniffed, it had been so long since someone had told him that they loved him. His parents had been too stressed and worried before they'd been killed "You shouldn't, you're in this mess because of me" The heist had drawn in both Ginzo, and the Crows.

The inspector let out a breath, releasing his hold on Kaito "To tell you the truth, I'd rather have had this happen than for you to still be living how you used to" He offered a small smile "I would have beat myself up for the rest of my life if I found out your real age after recovering your corpse" This way was better, he could watch over Kaito like this.

Kaito lifted his head a bit, red rimmed indigo peeking at him "You really mean that?" His voice was soft.

Chapter 56: Chapter 55 Mistressan

Notes:

Written March 15 2020
Posted on Wattpad April 25 2020
Posted here November 6 2020

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

"I do" Ginzo breathed "Why would I lie about that?" He became an officer because he wanted to help people. Why would he regret gaining the chance to help Kaito, who was basically a child in his eyes?

Because happiness almost always came at a price in his experience "I don't know" Kaito replied, it just seemed too good to be true.

Ginzo's gaze softened, Kaito really was an amazing kid "With all you've been through, I'm pretty sure that you could have easily turned out a lot worse" A lot of people who've been through less, have turned out a lot worse than Kaito had. He offered a reassuring grin "To be honest, it's kinda creepy how you're actually better than most people"

Kaito couldn't help the giggle that slipped out, though he did manage to stifle the following ones "I don't deny how creepy I can be" Indigo glimmered a bit "I stalked you and the task force all the time, even going so far as to become familiar with your DNA structure"

The inspector barked out a laugh "When you say that out loud, that is kinda creepy" But there were worse ways to be creepy so it was fine.

The boy sniffed, lifting his head to wipe his face, he felt kinda gross after crying "I'm going to fetch all of my data" He felt weird, so he wanted to be alone.

Ginzo grabbed Kaito's arm when the other hopped off the couch "You should be resting" Hadn't they just talked about him needing to care about himself more?

Kaito nodded, not meeting Ginzo's gaze "I know, but I want to be alone right now" He might as well be productive instead of sitting around "I really don't like to be idle" And he didn't think that he'd be able to concentrate on a book right now.

He studied the other before nodding, releasing his hold on Kaito's arm "Fine, but you better not be pushing yourself out of any sense of guilt" He understood the need to be doing something to distract yourself from something "Don't be gone for more than a few hours" He paused "And wear that mask Hakuba-san gave you"

"Okay" Kaito offered a tired smile before slipping out the window.

Ginzo just sighed and shook his head, at least it shouldn't be too hard for Kaito to get his stuff.

Despite what he'd said, he didn't go straight to the lab. Instead he headed deeper into the city, into a certain area of the red light district that he was unfortunately quite familiar with. He needed to see someone who he should have probably visited months ago. Guilt gnawed at his stomach as he approached the building, she's probably been worried sick about him since it's been so long. He easily slipped through the sliding door, skipping past a man who was on his way out that seemed vaguely familiar. He'd often tried not to memorize the faces of the people that he'd serviced.

He expertly made his way through the building, ignoring the smell of sex and pheromones wafting through the air until he got to a certain room. He put his ear to the door for a few moments before slipping in after he didn't hear any noise. She usually wasn't busy at this time of day, but he'd wanted to make sure before he walked into anything.

"Mistressan?" She'd never wanted him to call her mistress so he'd started calling her that as a joke.

The silky blue blankets on the queen sized bed frantically stirred as soon as he spoke, and before he knew it, he was being both squeezed, and suffocated "Kai-chan!"

"Can't breathe!" His words were muffled against Mistressan's breasts, and he was pretty sure that she'd done it on purpose! He heard her snicker before she pulled away, allowing him to take in air again. She was an attractive woman with curves in all the right places and long black hair. Thankfully she was clothed this time, even if it was only a lacy lime green bra and matching panties. He was desensitised to her state of undress. To him it was the same as her being clothed.

"Where have you been?!" She scolded, worry etched on her face as she knelt down and began assessing his bandages "You're hurt!" All of her previous anger left her as she snagged the boy and plopped him onto the bed before turning away to rummage through a mahogany dresser.

"I'm fine" He offered a wary smile as she turned back toward him, a medical kit in hand, he didn't like that look in her eyes.

"Which one of the customers did this?" Her voice was steely as she crouched down in front of Kaito to get a better view of his face. He winced when she began to poke at his bandages "The last time you were here you didn't look too well when you left, why did you hide something like this?" He'd refused her offer of letting him share her room that night to rest. Clients weren't allowed in the room they were currently in.

Kaito tried to pull away, not wanting Mistressan to inspect the injuries "These are new" He scowled "And they've already been treated"

Mistressan froze, paling at his words "You haven't been selling yourself outside of my supervision have you?!" The only reason that she'd trained him in the art of sex was to prevent him from doing that! If he was in her sights, she knew that he was generally safe. Mistressan grabbed both his shoulders, leaning her face in close to his "When you approached me wanting to learn, I made you swear not to do that" She'd only accepted because she'd had a feeling that he'd go to someone else, and she couldn't guarantee that the other person would look after him.

"No!" He quickly shook his head "It's from some complications in my life" The Crows were complicated right?

She released him, shoulders sagging in relief "Where were you?" Mistressan asked "I was worried" His last clients had done quite the number on him, she'd been worried about there being some damage when he hadn't returned. She ran her hands along Kaito's sides to check for any more injuries, making the boy squirm, he was ticklish there "You've gained some weight..."

Notes:

I hope you guys end up liking Mistressan like the others on my main site ^-^

Chapter 57: Chapter 56 Sneaky Antics

Notes:

Written March 17 2020
Posted on Wattpad April 27 2020
Posted here November 13 2020

Chapter Text

Kaito sat crossed legged, staring down nervously as he wrung his hands together, he'd told her everything, absolutely everything about his current situation. What does she think of him now? He was an international criminal.

"Oh Kai-chan" Mistressan paused, slate eyes softening "I mean Kaito" It was surprising to know that the reason why Kaito hadn't given her his proper name was because he hadn't actually had one. She wrapped her arms around him, pulling him into a gentle hug "Why didn't you tell me sooner?" She could have invited him to stay here, sure this wasn't the best place to live, but at least it was warm and had running water. She also wouldn't have made Kaito be like her full time, not that she'd ever tried to do that.

Indigo watered as he leaned into her touch, it was warm and felt safe. Sort of like how Ginzo made him feel whenever he was hugged "I was scared to fully trust people" He bit his lip "But recently I've been relying on others..." He paused, a small blush tinting his cheeks "And Keibu's actions sort of reminded me of how you treated me outside of my lessons" Ginzo had said that he loved him, and as much as he wanted to believe it, it was hard to. But if Mistressan felt the same way, maybe he could try to believe it.

Slate studied the boy for a few moments before she ruffled his hair "So he loves you too?" It was good to know that the inspector truly cared about Kaito.

"I'm sorry..." He'd disregarded her feelings and had just left without saying anything "I didn't think that it was possible for me to be loved anymore" Not since his parents had died, leaving him all alone to deal with the Crows.

"It's fine" She began to card her fingers through his hair "You've finally realized it and came back" Though since Kaito was now being financially supported, she probably wouldn't see him as much anymore. It was a bittersweet feeling.

Kaito sniffed, all this time he'd thought that he was alone, but he hadn't been. Mistressan may not have known much about his life, but she'd always tried to help him when she could "I don't know what to do anymore"

"About yourself? Or the inspector?" From what he'd told her, she'd easily realized just how little Kaito had cared about his own future. And if the inspector truly cared for Kaito, the poor guy was probably worried about him.

"I don't know" He shook his head "It's hard to plan when I've got to factor in how much my actions could hurt him" It was easier when he'd been oblivious.

Mistressan smirked "Loving and being loved is a give and take relationship. That's normal"

Ginzo blinked in surprise when his phone gave a short buzzing sound, both brows raising when he noted that it was a message from Kaito. Kaito rarely messaged him with his phone, mainly because they live in the same place. He opened the text to read it.

I've Kidnapped Kaito, surrender yourself Inspector

Below the text was a picture of Kaito, the boy was clearly unconscious. He didn't look roughed up thankfully, in fact he looked like he was sleeping on the blue sheet.

Don't speak to anyone, or he'll die

Come to the Velvet Lounge and ask for the Mistress

You have 1 hour

What, the, hell. How the hell had Kaito gotten caught?! He was supposed to have been just in his lab. Fear iced his veins as he swiftly opened his browser to look up the location, he couldn't let Kaito die. He didn't really read much about the place besides the address before leaving since there wasn't much time. Kaito had done so fucking much for him, he couldn't let him die.

Meanwhile Mistressan stifled a small giggle as she tucked Kaito into the bed, she'd never seen him so out of it. Her gaze softened a bit, the poor boy must still be exhausted from recent events. She glanced towards her dresser and sighed, she didn't like clothes, they were stifling. Though since the inspector probably wouldn't react well to her current state of undress, she'd have to put up with clothes like a normal person.

Since they were apparently two of the few adults that had some sway over Kaito, she figured that they needed to talk. The message she'd sent to the inspector also doubled as a test for the other. It would let her know just how much she could trust the guy with Kaito's safety. Kaito obviously wasn't as good at reading people as she'd thought since it had taken him so long to realize that she truly cared.

Mistressan popped her head out of the door "Hey Haru, can you stand near the inside of the door and look all scary for me please?" She inquired to one of the discreet security staff. She had them to protect the workers from the clients, though accidents still did happen occasionally. Though they never went as bad as they could have due to the security.

"Okay sure" The young man nodded, he had short black hair and brown eyes "For how long?"

Slate gleamed mischievously "Until a young boy comes, lead him to my room. But be a bit rough to scare him a bit" She stated "But not too rough" She didn't want to hurt the guy, just test him.

Ginzo stared warily at the building before glancing at his watch, there wasn't much time left. He swallowed, had Kaito been injured during the last hour? His gaze darkened, what if the picture had been taken hours ago, and they'd only decided to message him after realizing that Kaito wouldn't talk?

He shivered, bracing himself before approaching the entrance. He suddenly felt so vulnerable, he couldn't fight back like this. If only Kaito had given him another pill to hold onto before leaving.

"Come with me" A startled yelp escaped Ginzo's throat as he was suddenly yanked up by the collar of his shirt. He flailed, not liking how he was being carried, not daring to speak.

Chapter 58: Chapter 57 Talking, Ideas

Notes:

Written March 24 2020
Posted on Wattpad May 2 2020
Posted here November 20 2020

NEXT UPDATE is on December 4 2020

Chapter Text

Ginzo blinked in surprise as he landed on the ground, he'd been thrown through a door. It thankfully hadn't hurt that much, the floor was covered in a soft carpet "Hello Nakamori-san" Ginzo's gaze whipped towards the origin of the voice, faltering a bit when he noted that it was a woman. She had long black hair that made it past her shoulders, and slate grey eyes. Though the fact that she was dressed in an oversized black T-shirt and grey sweatpants threw him off a bit. She didn't look like a criminal, but then again, appearances could be deceiving.

He bristled when he caught sight of Kaito, the boy was laying limply under blue silk sheets "What do you want?" He growled, his anger growing when the woman had the nerve to giggle.

Mistressan smirked, eyeing the inspector curiously "What I want" She paused, gaze softening as she smoothed some of Kaito's hair out of his face "Is to talk with you about Kaito"

She wanted to talk about Kaito? Ginzo didn't relax his stance, but did take a second to look at the boy. He didn't seem more hurt than before, but there were dried tear tracks on his face. Why had Kaito been crying? Especially around a stranger? He pursed his lips, meeting her gaze "Who are you?" Why was this woman acting so familiar with Kaito?

"Kaito calls me Mistressan, so that's what I go by" She reached over and scooped up the sleeping boy "Look at the poor thing, he's completely out" She let out a sigh as she propped Kaito in her lap, hugging the boy like a teddy bear. Kaito was adorable, but he'd never let her do this to him while he was awake.

Ginzo grimaced at how limp the boy was "He's not drugged?" That was alarming, and odd. He'd always assumed that the other wouldn't be able to sleep deeply around strangers due to his high paranoia. Yet this woman was hugging him like a teddy bear.

"No" A small frown crossed her lips "He's just exhausted" Mistressan breathed "Anyways, we need to talk about Kaito" Slate gleamed "He told me everything"

His jaw dropped, the information silencing him for a few moments "Who are you, to Kaito?" Kaito had never once mentioned Mistressan to him.

Mistressan's face twisted into a grimace "I'm the one who taught him about sex and pleasuring clients" Regret laced her voice as she looked down at the small boy in her arms. Kaito had been too young back then, and he was still too young.

Taught him? Rage filled Ginzo's vision, did that mean that she'd touched Kaito too? "What the fuck?!" He went to lunge at her but a clear glass suddenly popped up between them. The inspector banged  his fists against it, gritting his teeth "Why the hell did you encourage him?!" Did she even know how much it had bothered Kaito?! And that woman currently had her hands on him.

She bit her lip, eyes burning "I had no choice"

Ginzo snarled "You always have a choice!"

Mistressan shook her head "Kaito came to me for help" Her voice wavered "If I didn't agree" She shivered "There was a high chance of him going out on his own" Kaito's eyes even back then had been filled with determination "He wouldn't have had anyone watching over him to make sure that he was safe" Or at least as safe as he could be.

The inspector paused in his assault on the glass, that sounded awfully similar to how he was letting Kaito go out to do heists. His arms fell down to his sides "That does sound a lot like him" He bitterly replied. He eyed Kaito "He's still asleep..." That was worrying, he'd been quite loud.

She pressed a hidden button and the glass slid back down into the floor, she didn't think that the other was a threat to her, anymore "He's just been discharged before crying to you, then me" She laid Kaito down on the bed since she figured that the inspector would want to check on him "Emotions can be exhausting, especially for someone like Kaito"

Ginzo hurried over to check on Kaito, breathing out a sigh of relief when he noted that Kaito was truly sleeping "Why would he come here after leaving to be alone?"

Slate softened "Your words and actions towards Kaito, reminded him of how I treated him" She offered a small smile "He wanted to confirm that it was true, and not just him wanting it to be true"

For some reason that left a bitter feeling in his gut "Why is it so hard for him to truly believe that he can be loved?" Kaito hadn't been able to take his word as truth, he'd thought that there was more trust between them than that.

"Usually those who sell themselves have a low self esteem" She'd seen plenty of her friends break down over the years "That doubles in Kaito's case since he finally admitted to me today that he'd been using it to punish himself" She closed her eyes. Why hadn't she noticed the signs? Kaito's smile had been too bright for her to notice it's falseness. She'd failed in protecting his heart. She opened her eyes, slate were watery "He seriously didn't believe that I truly cared for him until you made him think"

Ginzo swallowed, so Kaito hadn't been lying to him. The boy had truly believed that he'd had no support besides him. He glanced down at Kaito "Do you think that he'll accept it now?" Mistressan had known Kaito far longer than him.

Mistressan pursed her lips "I'm not sure" She met his gaze "But we're the closest people that Kaito has for support" She tilted her head "I wouldn't mind trying to work together in order to make him feel loved" Kaito deserved it.

Having more than one person would definitely leave a bigger impact than one "Unlike me, you're not relying on him" Which should help "You technically have no reason to keep on his good side" So Kaito wouldn't have the possibility of it being fake eating at him. Just in case.

Chapter 59: Chapter 58

Notes:

Written March 27 2020
Posted on Wattpad May 9 2020
Posted here December 4 2020

Chapter Text

A low whine passed through Kaito's lips before he bolted away, indigo wide as he frantically glanced around to identify his location. His shoulders slumped in relief when he recognized Mistressan's room, the boy grimaced when he checked his watch, he'd been out for a few hours "Shit, the lab" He'd been intending to go there after giving Mistressan a visit, but now it looked like it'd be too late by the time he got there. Ginzo had wanted him to return after a few hours.

"It's good to know that you hadn't been intending to lie to me about where you were going" Kaito froze, dread pooling in the pit of his stomach, he knew that voice. The only problem was that the guy shouldn't have been able to find this place.

Kaito turned around to see Ginzo staring at him with an unimpressed look "Why are you here?" He winced at how his voice pitched a bit. He was pretty sure that he hadn't been followed, he would have noticed, especially if it'd been Ginzo.

"I threatened him" Mistressan replied, arms crossed.

"What?" He asked dumbly, not really comprehending. There was no way that Mistressan would betray him, not after discovering how much she actually cared for him. Right? Indigo darkened, he should have known better.

Ginzo frowned at how Kaito seemed to shut down, his tone void of emotion. That was kinda freaky, and a little worrying that the boy was able to shut down so quickly "It was a mean prank, everything's fine" He assured, not wanting Kaito to truly close off.

Mistressan picked Kaito up, and surprisingly the boy didn't fight it. He seemed almost boneless in her hold, gaze dazed "This is why we need to work together" She stated, showing off Kaito's state "He's too quick to lose hope when it comes to people caring about him"

Work together? Lose hope? Kaito blinked dumbly before looking up at her "Mistressan?" Both of the adult's hearts almost broke at how lost Kaito sounded. The boy almost sounded like he was actually as old as he looked.

Slate softened as she gave him a little squeeze before plopping him down on the bed "It's fine dear" She offered him a small smile "I was just showing the inspector that you were vulnerable right now, especially when it comes to feelings"

Kaito frowned, grabbing the soft blanket and wrapping it around himself. He liked silk "Oh" He was tired, really tired. He blinked at Mistressan, suddenly realizing something "You're wearing clothes" He rarely saw the woman clothed, usually she was either naked or in her underwear due to her aversion to clothing.

Ginzo's gazed sharpened at Kaito's words, he cast a glare at Mistressan who shifted nervously "And she will be wearing them around you from now on" It didn't matter that Kaito was used to it. He didn't want him to be exposed to any more indecency if he could help it.

The boy nodded absentmindedly "I want to go home..." He was tired, and his eye was starting to hurt a lot again. The painkillers he'd snagged must have run out again.

The inspector sucked in a breath, Kaito had never referred to their apartment as 'home'. It had always been 'The apartment' whenever he mentioned it "Okay, then let's go" He could talk more with Mistressan later.

Kaito got up, tried to take a step, swayed, and fell back onto the bed "I don't think I can" Why was he feeling so sick? He'd been fine earlier today. Frayed nerves had never affected him like this before, he was better than that.

Mistressan glanced between the two, Kaito was half out of it, and Ginzo wouldn't be able to carry him "I'll carry you" She paused for a moment in thought "I'm sure that I have a purse big enough to fit you"

Ginzo spluttered at the thought of Kaito being carried in a purse "That's not necessary"

She shook her head "You're fine since you have a fake identity, but I doubt that Kaito is able to play as Kite right now" It was kinda cute that Kaito had picked the name Kite "I can be Kite's girlfriend who's been taking his son out to play if anyone asks"

Ginzo grimaced, Kaito really had told her everything. He glanced at Kaito, the boy didn't seem to be paying attention to them, what was wrong with him? He was usually so alert "But..." That would mean that they'd have to fake affection in the future if the woman really did start showing up at their place. Mistressan was way too old for Kaito.

Mistressan smirked "Stop worrying, it wouldn't bother Kaito at all" They'd done a lot of risky things together during his training "He knows that I'm not interested" During Kaito's breakdown he'd admitted that he'd been fine with her since she'd never looked at him how his clients had, so he'd felt safe. They'd only done what was required for him to learn and be safe "A peck on the cheek off and on for show is nothing"

Ginzo grumbled but stayed silent as he watched Mistressan stuff Kaito into an insanely large black purse, he didn't know how he felt about having her around from now on. At the very least he needed to keep his eye on her. The fact that Kaito had looked so hurt before shutting down after the perceived betrayal told him that the woman hadn't been lying about how close the two were. Though that in itself was a bit scary since Kaito was still out of it. Vulnerable? Yeah right! The guy seemed straight out fragile right now.

Now the inspector sort of understood why Kaito had been so afraid of getting close to others, the poor boy wasn't able to handle any sort of betrayal. Ginzo's gaze darkened, one couldn't be betrayed if they kept their heart closed to others. Yet it seemed that Kaito was slowly opening his heart, at the very least to him and Mistressan. Maybe even Danashi and his son too eventually. The boy had seemed fond of Saguru and Danashi had told him that the same was felt by Saguru towards Kid.

Chapter 60: Chapter 59 Concern, Oops...

Notes:

Written March 30 2020
Posted on Wattpad May 16 2020
Posted here December 11 2020

Chapter Text

Ginzo gave Kaito a concerned glance, it had been over an hour since they'd arrived back at their apartment. Mistressan had left shortly after, though not before putting her number in both of their phones. The boy was moving slowly as he went about doing random things. Rearranging their bookshelves, shoes and other odd tasks. The only problem was that Kaito had done the same task multiple times in a row.

He bit his lip, maybe he should have had Kaito stay in the hospital for a little while longer. Maybe there had been some brain damage that hadn't been noticeable until now. But Kaito had seemed mostly fine before, if not weak and tired.

"Oi Kaito" Said boy dropped the book that he'd been holding to look his way, indigo clearly unfocused, as if Kaito wasn't really looking at him. Kaito tilted his head. The inspector frowned, walking over towards the other, putting both hands on Kaito's shoulders, giving him a little shake "Just tell me what's wrong" It was unnerving to see the normally sharp boy acting like this. If it wasn't brain damage, than it was psychological, which was worrying in itself "You're scaring me" He breathed, what if what happened today had been the final straw? Kaito had already had a load of mental problems before now. What if he was stuck like this? His eyes burned at the thought. Kaito was just too... He shook his head, he didn't want to think about it.

Ginzo almost jumped when he felt arms wrap around himself. He opened his mouth to speak but paused, the boy was sobbing wordlessly. It confused him, but he returned the hug none the less. Neither spoke, not even when Kaito passed out again.

The hell? He gently laid Kaito onto the floor, fetching blankets to wrap around the other. It wasn't like he could pick Kaito up and put him to bed, so this would have to do. He was so confused, and didn't really understand what had caused Kaito to cry so suddenly. Had it been nerves? Surely today couldn't have been that stressful, especially compared to planning heists. Ginzo paused in his thoughts, suddenly realizing something. Kaito was used to heists, but he wasn't used to opening up. He grimaced, remembering that whenever things got too deep or personal, Kaito had usually reacted with strong emotions, sometimes even hiding away for a time. Then he'd return and pretend that nothing had happened.

When Kaito woke, he felt horrible. He could remember how he'd acted, and how much it had worried Ginzo. He slowly sat up, holding his head since it hurt, a lot. He looked around and spotted Ginzo looking over at him, book in hand. It almost made him smile at how subtle the guy was trying to be "I'm sorry for acting like that" He grimaced "I don't know what got into me" Everything had been too much, way too much. He shook his head, almost instantly regretting the motion as his vision swam.

Ginzo couldn't help but look at the boy with pity, he looked so small and fragile right now "You were probably just overwhelmed" That's what both Danashi and Mistressan suggested at least "Your body didn't know how to handle it so it just stopped" And moved on semi-autopilot, a useful skill, but also worrying. He closed his book to go over and kneel next to the sitting boy "How are you feeling now?"

The boy let out a breath, voice soft "In pain" He bit his lip "A lot of pain" He needed more painkillers, and it would take forever to go into effect.

The inspector nodded, having expected that since Kaito had been removed from the painkillers early "That's expected" He studied the other "What about emotionally?"

"I don't know" His voice was a borderline whine "Angry?" He hated feeling like this, so vulnerable, raw "Painkillers now" His head should be more clear without the pain muddling it.

Ginzo sighed at the demand but got up to retrieve the requested items anyways. He'd been hoping that the lack of painkillers would have kept Kaito down and resting. He'd underestimated how much pain the boy would be in "I'm sorry" He breathed, offering a tablet and a cup of water. Kaito immediately took them .

"Not your fault" Kaito wiped his mouth "Not completely" He let out a sigh, flopping back down onto the bundled blankets, too tired to move "It's mainly the situation" Indigo closed "I'm mentally and physically exhausted" Even though he was pretty sure that he'd been sleeping quite a bit "I'm not rationalizing my emotions like I normally do"

The inspector's gaze darkened "So everything that had built up suddenly overwhelmed you?" So the tears hadn't been random, they'd actually been caused by pain.

"Can we talk about this later?" Kaito grimaced "The meds are making me feel kinda foggy" What had Ginzo given him? He hadn't bothered to look at the pill.

"But then you'd be able to twist your words better" Ginzo offered a small smile, the drug was a painkiller, but also strong enough to make someone who wasn't used to it a bit dopey. It was what Dr.Kalos had prescribed Kaito so it wasn't technically drugging him, just giving him his medicine.

Kaito scowled "Cheater"

Ginzo barked out a laugh "No, just evening the playing field" They'd probably have to find stronger generic stuff because he was pretty sure that Kaito wouldn't willingly take the medicine again "This wouldn't have happened if you'd stopped bottling up your emotions"

"No..." Ick, he was feeling groggy "It's because I stopped" Then they just spewed out, Indigo fluttered shut.

The inspector blinked, pulling out the bottle to make sure he'd gotten the dosage right "Wow" He had "Why the hell was he given such strong meds?" He paused in thought, maybe since Dr.Kalos had thought that Kaito would have been better off out of it since he was technically a child? If he'd known that it'd just end up knocking Kaito out, he would have tried to get him to his bed first, or at least only given him a quarter of the dose.

Chapter 61: Chapter 60 Heist? So Soon?...

Notes:

Written April 9 2020
Posted on Wattpad May 23 2020
Posted here December 18 2020

NEXT UPDATE is on January 1 2021

Chapter Text

When he woke up, Kaito felt sick, his mouth also felt really dry. Yuck, he wasn't going to take those meds again. At least he couldn't feel any pain "You drugged me" The boy whined, sitting back up.

Ginzo offered a sheepish grin from his place on the couch "I didn't know that they were that strong" The TV was on, but not very loud. Kaito eyed Ginzo with suspicion for a few moments before deciding that the other was telling the truth. 'Do you think that Kid will succeed in tonight's heist?' Both males froze at the news, Ginzo sent Kaito a firm glare "You didn't" His growl was threatening. Kaito wasn't in a good enough condition to do a heist, it was too soon.

The boy swallowed, sending the TV a nervous glance "I didn't" He bit his lip, suddenly feeling a bit scared. He shook his head, clearing the stupid thought, he couldn't be scared "But if it's not a challenge" He paused "Then it might be the Crows..." They might want to affirm if he was dead, and finish the job if he wasn't.

The inspector switched the TV off "You're not going" He'd physically knock the boy out if he really had to. Kaito was weak, and kept passing out, even before he'd accidentally drugged him. Kaito was likely to die if he went out as Kid right now, he was sure of it. So he wouldn't let Kaito go out.

Kaito opened his mouth to protest, but stopped when he spotted the genuine fear on the other's face. Ginzo was really scared for him. He lowered his gaze as he fiddled with his hands, he didn't want to do a heist right now, and Ginzo didn't want him to either "Okay" He was tired.

Ginzo blinked, having expected that he'd have more of a fight "You're not going to fight me on this?" He inquired. It was concerning that Kaito had given in so easily.

The boy let out a small sigh, shoulders drooping a bit "I'm tired" and scared for some reason "I don't want to do the heist either" He just wanted to curl up and go to sleep.

"It's okay to be tired" Ginzo breathed, the boy really did look tired, though he doubted that it was in a physical sense. Kaito had rested enough, so the boy was most likely tired mentally "Everyone gets tired once in a while"

Kaito's fingers curled into fists. What would happen when Kid didn't show up? Would they take a hostage to lure him out? Or would they assume that he was finally dead? He didn't want to think about it "Let's stay away from the media tonight" If he didn't hear anything, he'd be less likely to do something stupid. He offered a strained smile.

He easily saw through the smile but still nodded in agreement "I have no problem with that" If it meant keeping Kaito away from the heist, staying off the internet would be worth it. It wasn't like he didn't have books he could read in the meantime.

The boy was silent for a few moments "Since I'm not going to be leaving anytime soon, do you want to do some tests with the cure?" He wanted to see if it was a fluke, or if the added chemicals had boosted the cure. It also gave him another reason to stay because he needed to observe the effects.

"There are some pills here?" He'd thought that Kaito would have kept most of them hidden.

Kaito nodded "Yeah, I figured that you were mature enough to not go looking for them without my permission" Ginzo could be rash, but he'd mellowed a bit. It also helped that he'd actually be able to do more things as he was since the identity 'Ginga' wasn't a target. He got up, wobbling a bit before steadying himself. He then walked over towards the couch, crouched down, and retrieved two bottles of pills. Kaito eyed the contents of both bottles, maybe he should make them different colours. He could only tell them apart since the newer pills were slightly bigger.

Ginzo raised a brow "Why were they under the couch?" Anyone could have easily found them.

Indigo gleamed a bit "It may seem obvious, but it's also too obvious of a place to hide anything valuable" There weren't many places to look in their apartment, and he'd needed them to be in a place that Ginzo could reach, just in case something happened "Most valuables are generally hidden in rooms" Where the owner could protect them easier.

That made some sense "Which pill am I taking?" Kaito had both, and the boy did say tests.

"The newer one" He didn't like seeing Ginzo in pain "If it works in the same way consistently, you won't need to take the older version as often" He frowned after speaking "Though it would be useful to have for some situations" He undid the cap on one of the bottles and handed Ginzo the pill. Maybe he'd make the newer ones purple and the older ones blue instead of half and half for both. Maybe blue raspberry for the purple one since it's more tasty, and grape for the blue. That way the less painful one would have both the best colour, and the best taste. But then the new flavouring might affect the drug since the chemicals would be different. He'd think more on it later.

"Okay" The inspector headed over towards the kitchen sink, fetching a glass of water before downing it with the pill. At least it tasted a whole lot better than most pills. A gasp escaped him the moment he set the glass down, a dull yet strong thrum coursed through his body. He staggered, clutching his chest, gasping as he felt himself start to change.

His vision was a bit blurry, but it quickly cleared. Ginzo noted that he had a blanket wrapped around him, and that he'd ended up seated on the floor "I've got to stop forgetting about my clothes" He gave a weak laugh, grateful that Kaito had easily removed his clothes.

Chapter 62: Chapter 61 Firm

Notes:

Written April 13 2020
Posted on Wattpad May 30 2020
Posted here January 1 2021

Chapter Text

The pill had ended up lasting around a day as well, which was a very positive result in Kaito's opinion. The time that Ginzo had been his normal size hadn't been spent any differently than if he's still been shrunken. He'd just kept an eye on Kaito to make sure that the boy didn't get any ideas about sneaking out.

The inspector glanced over towards the boy, now that he was back to being tiny, Kaito wasn't really paying much attention to anything anymore. Instead indigo was staring blankly at a book, the page hadn't been turned in over an hour "Why don't we try the other pill now?" He inquired, wanting the other to stop zoning out. Kaito had refrained from zoning out before because he'd needed to observe the pill's effects, so maybe taking another pill would have the same result.

Kaito blinked, gaze unfocused before shaking his head "No, that would risk your immunity to the cure to build up faster than what a single pill would do"

Ginzo frowned, Kaito's tone had really bugged him, it wasn't condescending, but it also seemed void of emotion. He narrowed his gaze at the other, Kaito hadn't slept in his room, instead choosing to sleep on the couch. Now that he thought about it, Kaito had been spending most of his time curled up on the couch under a blanket ever since they'd returned "How do you feel?" Was the other still in a lot of pain? Kaito had taken to only ingesting around a quarter of the prescribed dose of his medicine by cutting the pills into fours.

The boy let out a breath "Tired" It felt like he was always tired nowadays "And worried about the heist" Last night had been the first heist that he'd ever missed, he was almost too scared to go on the internet or turn on the news channel now.

The inspector pursed his lips "You've been staying too still for you to actually be tired" He breathed, gaze dark but not unfriendly. His shoulders slumped, Kaito was acting like he was depressed, which was probably the truth "I think that we should go outside for a bit, maybe walk in the woods near that house?" The one near Kaito's lab. Sitting around wouldn't help Kaito, at least not mentally. He needed to get the other to actually do something, something that didn't involve the crows.

Kaito frowned "I'm supposed to be resting" He didn't really want to do anything right now. He just wanted to sleep.

"No" Ginzo's tone was firm "Go and get changed into something warm enough to go outside in" There was snow on the ground, and the last thing they needed was for Kaito to become ill. Indigo went wide, the boy's mouth going into a small 'o' shape before Kaito kicked the blanket off and scurried to his room. That was... Surprisingly effective... But maybe he shouldn't push it by doing that often.

By the time he'd dressed himself in a warm coat, mitts, scarf and hat, Kaito was standing awkwardly near the doorway. The boy's hat was slanted at an angle to cover his missing eye, clothing also looking a bit rumpled so that the hat didn't look odd on it's own. Kaito shuffled his boot clad feet nervously, shooting Ginzo a confused look "I don't see the benefits of going out" It was mid afternoon and small snowflakes could be seen falling to the ground if he looked out the window.

Ginzo let out a breath "We both need a non-duty change of pace" Kaito more so than him. But even he had to admit that the idea of going out sounded quite appealing now that he thought about it. He gave a small shrug "We could also head to a park since nobody would question a child playing there"

A small blush tinted Kaito's cheeks as he messed with his sleeves "I'm too old to play at the park" He was 13, even if he didn't look it, yet. Not to mention that he's never gone to a proper park to play before. Though he had occasionally snuck onto the odd swing set at night once in a while. Never during the day though.

"You look young enough to not stand out" Ginzo breathed "I highly doubt that you'd been able to when you were younger, so you're going now" Kaito was mature, very mature. But at the same time he was still a child, and occasionally acted younger than he actually was. The memory of Kaito splashing around in that lake had been both a surprising realization, and a good one.

Kaito was silent as they left their apartment, feeling a little unsure about the whole situation. Though once the first bit of chilled air hit him, some of his tiredness left him, giving him a bit of some much needed energy. Ginzo wanted him to act like a child, but he really didn't know how to do that. He'd always had to act older than he was ever since he'd been little, and it had only gotten worse once both his parents had died. Kaito sniffed, indigo watery for some reason once the coldness fully set in.

Ginzo raised a brow "What's wrong?" The boy had suddenly grabbed his hand and was now trembling, almost violently.

The boy opened his mouth to respond, but no words came out. He tried again but he only managed to let a whine out. Both bloody and normal tears trickled down his face as he shook his head. Why was he acting like this? He didn't understand, he was scared, but why?

The inspector let out a string of curses before ushering Kaito back inside. It wouldn't be good if they attracted attention like this. The way Kaito's breath had suddenly sped up was concerning, was he having a panic attack? If so, then why?

By the time they entered their apartment, Kaito's vision was blurred, forcing him to lean on Ginzo for guidance.

Shit, Ginzo bit his lip as he saw Kaito start to sway, the boy was going to pass out again at this rate.

Chapter 63: Chapter 62

Notes:

Written April 21 2020
Posted on Wattpad June 6 2020
Posted here January 8 2021

Chapter Text

"Oi Kaito, calm down" Ginzo wrapped his free arm around the boy, his other one was still being gripped by him. He really didn't know what to do, Kaito had been off ever since leaving the hospital.

Kaito choked in a breath, eyes burning as he buried his head against the inspector's shoulder. He just... He didn't know what he needed, but he felt a bit better now that they were inside. It was warm.

Ginzo let out a small sigh when he noted that Kaito's trembling was lessening, though the boy now had a death grip on his coat "Can you tell me what's wrong?" He breathed, tone soft.

The boy was silent for a good while before he eventually pulled his face away to reveal watery indigo and newly soiled bandages. Kaito but his lip, still shaking a bit "I don't know..." At Ginzo's disbelieving look his voice cracked a bit "I really don't" He'd been okay, and then suddenly he wasn't "I got scared"

The inspector blinked at the admittance, why had Kaito gotten scared? "Did you notice anyone dangerous?" The boy had been fine leaving the other day to visit Mistressan, well not fine, but able.

Kaito shook his head "No" His words were soft, hard to hear "I just got scared, and I don't know why" He'd also been too scared to accept the heist challenge "I was just hit with fear" More like sucker punched in the face by it. He gave a small grimace, he didn't like being scared.

Ginzo pursed his lip, the boy had been through a lot lately. Had forcing Kaito out of his comfort zone trigger a small panic attack or something? Maybe it had been too much for him to handle right now? "Okay" He gave a small nod, accepting the answer. Kaito looked honestly confused. It was weird to see Kaito acting so timid.

Now that he was only trembling a bit, Kaito removed his outdoor clothes before heading back towards the couch. He snagged a blanket on the way so that he could curl up under it "I'm going to watch some TV" Not the news, he wasn't even going to check the news for at least a week, maybe. He switched on Netflix so that he could watch Criminal Minds. It was one of the more unique police shows out there.

The inspector peered curiously at the screen, not understanding the English all that well "You watch that a lot?" It was apparently the 4th season, yet he'd never spotted Kaito watching it before.

The boy tugged the blanket tighter around himself "Occasionally at night" When he couldn't sleep. They'd originally gotten Netflix for Ginzo, but that didn't mean that he couldn't use it too. His cheeks dusted a slight pink "It's interesting"

Ginzo barked out a laugh "If I didn't know any better, I'd be suspicious of you wanting to be a cop" The boy read so many crime novels, and now he apparently watched crime shows too.

Kaito shook his head "I'm a thief" A criminal who was going to spend the rest of his life in jail, if he didn't die first. He could never be a cop.

The other's expression confused Ginzo a bit, Kaito looked almost sad "Well anyways, what should we have for supper?" He didn't know how to continue the conversation so he decided to change it instead.

The boy gave a small shrug "Anything is fine I guess" He wasn't really craving anything.

"Okay..." Comfort food was supposed to be fatty right? He wasn't sure "What about pizza?" It'd been a while since they'd had it, and it would also leave them a good amount of leftovers. Pizza was good, hot, warm, or cold, so long as it wasn't heated unevenly.

"I like pizza" Kaito softly replied.

"So your half will have pineapple, spinach, and bacon. While mine will have pepperoni, bacon, and ham" He was in the mood for a lot of meat. Though he couldn't help but think that Kaito's pizza choice was kinda weird.

The boy gave a small smile "That sounds good"

Ginzo frowned a bit, suddenly remembering something "You should change your bandages..." They were already looking a bit grimy from how much the boy had cried recently "An infection would be bad" Especially since it was an infection that had forced the doctor to remove the eye in the first place.

Oh his bandages... Kaito bit his lip, pausing the show "Okay" That meant that he'd see the damage right? Mistressan had forcibly changed his bandages when he'd visited her, but other than that they hadn't been changed. At least not since they'd returned to their apartment. Kaito slipped off the couch, stumbling a bit before heading towards the first aid kit. He cast the inspector a side glance before picking up the kit and heading towards the bathroom, locking the door. He didn't really care about his appearance all that much, or at least he'd like to think so. But he didn't know how bad it was, so he wasn't going to risk making Ginzo feel upset for him.

When he removed the bandages, he had to be careful since some of them had clung a bit, but when he finished, he couldn't help but grimace. Staring into an empty socket was kind of creepy, especially since the flesh was kind of puffy from irritation. He really should have changed his bandages more often. There would be scars, but those could be easily hid with makeup once he made himself a false eye. He swiftly cleaned and flushed out his eye before wrapping it back up, willing himself not to get teary eyed. God disinfecting it had hurt, but any tears would force him to restart the process.

"You okay?" Ginzo called in through the door, he'd heard a pained hiss.

"Yeah..." Kaito's voice was strained "Alcohol isn't kind to injuries" But it was a necessary pain if he wanted to avoid any complications. He was tempted to scold the other for hovering but decided not to. The inspector was only hovering because he was worried.

Chapter 64: Chapter 63 Denial, Fear

Notes:

Written April 25 2020
Posted on Wattpad June 13 2020
Posted here January 15 2021

Chapter Text

The pizza had been great, and they'd spent the rest of the night watching a few movies together until they'd both retired to their own rooms for bed. Or at least that's what Ginzo had thought, but when he'd left his room in the middle of the night to get a drink, he was surprised to see Kaito dozing on the couch. The boy was curled up under the blanket, the soft light of the TV adding some light to the room. The inspector just rolled his eyes, turning off the TV before heading back to his room.

Hours later, Kaito woke with a start. Sweat soaking him as he panted, gasping for air. A small sob broke free, body trembling. It was dark, so dark, he couldn't breath. Tears ran down his cheeks as he struggled, clawing and scratching at his throat. He didn't want to die, he couldn't die, not now! He needed to breath, but he just couldn't, his throat felt like it was closing up, lungs burning. Why couldn't he breathe! Lips parted, the boy called for help, or at least he tried to. He was feeling light headed, he was going to die.

Ginzo scrambled, falling out of his bed at the ear shattering scream "The fuck?!" His heart was pounding from the jarring wake up call as he sat there stunned on the ground. It only took him a few moments to realize that the scream must have come from Kaito, the perimeter of their apartment was soundproof "Shit" Was Kaito being attacked? Why?

The inspector burst into the living room, a broom in hand. They didn't really have many weapons and a broom would help make up for any height differences. His gaze scoped out the room before he ran towards the struggling boy. The other's movements were erratic, and with the way Kaito was clutching his neck, he feared poison. Had the intruder poisoned Kaito then leave?

He turned on the nearby lamp, the soft yellow light illuminating the area. Kaito froze "Kaito?" Fear gnawed at him.

Kaito let out a soft whine, throat muscles loosening, he could breath again. Though doing so kinda hurt. He flung himself at Ginzo, latching onto him as he cried. He felt safe near the inspector.

Ginzo stared wide eyed as Kaito began to babble about not wanting to die, words almost indecipherable. He didn't know what else he could do to help so he just held the boy close. He couldn't help how his eyes burned at the confirmation that Kaito didn't want to die, he'd been honestly too scared to ask if that were the case or not. Too scared of the answer. It was reassuring that Kaito in fact didn't want to die, that he actually wanted to live "You're not going to die" He soothed, rubbing the boy's back "I won't let you" He'd be damned if Kaito died on his watch, or even after it.

Kaito kept on crying for a good while, but eventually he stopped to take in a shuddering breath "Keibu..." The boy's voice was hoarse, strained from both the scream and crying. His lashes were wet but no more tears were falling.

"You with me again?" Ginzo inquired softly.

The boy gave a small nod "Yeah"

The inspector's shoulders sagged "That must have been one hell of a nightmare" God that scream had been horrible.

A nightmare? Kaito was silent for a few moments "It wasn't a nightmare" He tentatively reached for his throat, grimacing at the scratches he could feel.

Ginzo blinked, only now noticing that there was a fair amount of blood coating both Kaito's neck and hands "Shit" He went to go get the first aid kit, but was stopped when Kaito grabbed his sleeve and pulled him back down.

"I'm fine" The cut felt shallow enough to not even be bleeding anymore. He clung onto the other "Just stay and I'll be fine"

Conflicted, Ginzo obeyed. The boy wasn't bleeding enough to be in danger, so he'd help the other's mental health first "What happened?"

Kaito's face fell as he lowered his head "I panicked" He glanced down at his bloodied hands, he hadn't even noticed the injuries until now. Indigo closed "When I woke up, it was dark" He sucked in a breath, a tremble running through his frame at the memory "So I panicked"

Understanding suddenly dawned on Ginzo. Kaito had left the TV on, but he'd turned it off. His brows furrowed, now that he thought about it, there had almost always been a light on wherever Kaito was since they've gotten back "You weren't scared of the dark before" He breathed.

The boy gripped the blanket, knuckles white "It was so dark then" His voice turned soft "So cold" His breath hitched, he could feel the icy water leaching away his warmth. Everything was black as he struggled, flailing against the water as it tugged and dragged at him, whisking him away, down into the water. Lungs burning they filled with the icy liquid. So dark, so cold, cold, cold, dark, help, his air- He jolted, cheek stinging with pain as he suddenly met Ginzo's gaze "Keibu?" He blinked, confused.

"So a good pinch can bring you back..." The inspector's tone was gruff, distressed. Fucking hell, this wasn't good.

Kaito frowned, rubbing his cheek "I didn't leave" Ow, he pitied all of the division 2 members who had to be pinched frequently during his heists.

Ginzo's gaze met his, eyes soft "You're suffering from PTSD" There was no way that he could deny it any longer. He wrapped his arms around Kaito, hugging him. Today had been colder than usual right? Hadn't Kaito mentioned the cold just now?

"No" The boy shook his head, he couldn't be suffering from that "I'm fine" He needed to be fine. Kaitou Kid couldn't have freak outs over the dark, it just wouldn't work.

"No you're not Kaito" Ginzo's eyes burned, the boy in front of him needed help, but he couldn't get him that help "You left" And probably went back to the docks if the boy's muttering was worth listening to. He tightened the hug, ever since the heist he's felt like Kaito had been slipping more and more.

Chapter 65: Chapter 64

Notes:

Written May 7 2020
Posted on Wattpad June 20 2020
Posted here January 22 2021

 

NEXT UPDATE is on February 5 2020

Chapter Text

"I-" Kaito bit his lip "I can't be afraid of the dark" He breathed, voice wet "I just can't" Kaitou Kid was the Moonlight Magician, that meant he acted mostly at night, when it was dark.

"Fuck" He hadn't thought about that, he rubbed the boy's back a bit in an attempt to soothe him "I'll call Hakuba-san to see if he has any ideas" He glanced down at Kaito "If you want to continue being Kaitou Kid, you're going to need help" His gaze was firm "I'm not going to let you go out there and get caught or killed because you had a panic attack"

The boy opened his mouth to argue, but just ended up closing it, looking away. Frustrated tears prickled at the corners of his eyes, threatening to fall "Seeing a shrink would take time that we don't have" His fears couldn't be fixed with just a few visits, he wasn't an idiot. If Ginzo was right and he did have PTSD, then it could easily take years to get over it. He grit his teeth, many people never fully recovered from it "And it wouldn't really work well because there's no way that I'm going to explain to them my life story"

Ginzo grimaced, Kaito was right "I'll still call him for some advice" Fuck, why couldn't they just get a break?

Kaito was silent for a bit before speaking "Maybe I can just ignore my fear if I create the right headspace" His Kid headspace was different than his normal self, it was more playful. So maybe he could do the same thing?

"That doesn't sound good" The inspector frowned at the other's idea. While it could possibly work, it didn't sound like it'd be healthy for him "Your head is already all messed up" He couldn't help but grimace at his own words "I don't want you to risk making it worse"

It was hard to stop himself from retorting how it wouldn't matter if he got the job done "But it'll keep me safe" Ginzo cared so he didn't want to hurt him, god it felt strange to think that.

"At the risk of worsening your mental health" Ginzo scolded "It's not just your physical health that's important" He had to use a hand to stifle a yawn, reminding him that it was still night time.

"We should continue this in the morning..." Kaito stated, avoiding Ginzo's gaze but making no move to get up.

"Okay" The inspector agreed "But we will be continuing it" Maybe they could think better after sleeping. He went to get up, but Kaito's grip on his shirt stopped him "Kaito?" Why had the boy stopped him.

Kaito's cheeks dusted a light pink as he continued to avoid the other's gaze "I'm scared" And the inspector actually made him feel safe, protected.

Ginzo's gaze softened, Kaito really could act like a young child at times "Do you want to sleep in my room tonight?" Aoko sometimes wanted to when she was little due a nightmare or thunderstorms.

"If you don't mind" The boy replied softly, still refusing to meet his gaze.

"Okay" The inspector nodded, they were both small enough to fit so it wouldn't be a problem "Let's go" He got up, and Kaito followed him to his room. Ginzo's eyes burned a bit, it reminded him of Aoko.

When Kaito woke up, he felt warm and safe. Indigos fluttered open, reminding the boy of what had happened the previous night. He couldn't help but flush at how childish he'd acted, he wasn't a little kid anymore. He had stopped thinking of himself as one a long time ago. He silently slipped out of the bed, making sure not to wake the other up.

He almost jumped when he felt his phone vibrate in his pocket, he'd forgotten to take it out before going to bed. He pulled it out, blinking in surprise when he read the text, it was from Mistressan.

I'm going to be at your place in a few mins

She was going to be here soon? He checked the time on his phone, noting that it was nearing 9:30 am. Wasn't that too early for visitors? They hadn't even eaten yet, wait, how did she even know where they lived? He didn't remember telling her, though he was kinda off the last time he saw her... So maybe he forgot? He moved over towards the door, unlocking it before sending her a text.

It's unlocked

He didn't want her to wake Ginzo up, he kinda felt bad that he'd done so last night. Indigos darkened as he recalled their conversation, maybe Mistressan's arrival will put off the continuation of it.

"Kaito!" The boy almost jumped before he got trapped in a hug "You look better than the last time I saw you" Slate eyes softened as she released him. Seeing the other responsive again made her relieved. She'd been worried so she'd visited to check up on him. It'd been scary seeing Kaito so out of it.

Kaito flushed at the sudden contact, he wasn't ready to be hugged so early in the morning "Couldn't you have waited until a more decent time?" He inquired "I just barely woke up" And he was hungry, though not as tired as he had been lately. For once he actually felt quite rested.

Mistressan blinked "You once told me that you were an early riser" But that had been months ago "Why don't we cook together then?" She offered a soft smile, cooking was a good social activity and maybe she could get the boy to loosen up and act his age better.

Cooking for Ginzo would be a good way to apologize for waking him up "Okay" He agreed with a small nod "I can cook bacon and eggs while you cook pancakes" He turned away from her as he headed towards the kitchen, missing how slate glimmered.

"I know a good pancake recipe" Mistressan stated, glad that she was to be working on them. Pancake batter could be so messy... "Do you guys have any chocolate chips?"

"Um no" Kaito frowned, when was the last time he'd had chocolate? He couldn't really remember "We don't have much junk food"

Chapter 66: Chapter 65 Batter, Phone

Notes:

Written May 20 2020
Posted on Wattpad June 4 2020
Posted here February 5 2021

Chapter Text

When Ginzo finally awoke, he first used the washroom before heading towards the kitchen to make breakfast. Last night had been both worrying and enlightening. He really didn't know what they were going to do concerning the Crows and he just knew that sooner or later, Kaito would hold a heist.

He was brought out of his thoughts at the sight of Kaito swiftly running towards him then pivoting so that he was hiding behind him "The hell?" Why was Kaito hiding behind him? He glanced around and spotted Mistressan, the woman was holding a bowl and spoon, a mischievous smirk playing on her lips.

"Keibu" Kaito's tone was serious "I'm being harassed" He peeked out cautiously from behind the other, indigo narrowed with suspicion. Why was Mistressan attacking him with pancake batter?! He hadn't done anything to warrant it.

Mistressan let out a small giggle, slate gleaming as she dipped the spoon back into the bowl to get some batter onto it "Stop being so melodramatic" She swiftly flicked her wrist, sending batter flying right where Kaito's head would have been if he hadn't ducked in time. She hadn't expected him to act so confused when she'd started flinging batter, but had just worked with it with the hope of eventually getting the boy to retaliate against her.

Ginzo blinked, a little stunned at the odd situation since he hadn't expected Mistressan to be here, let alone flinging batter at Kaito. He turned to face the boy, noting that the other had gotten hit at least once since the left side of his head was covered in batter. The inspector couldn't help but inwardly grimace at how confused the boy looked, did Kaito seriously think that he was being harassed? "Then go even the score" He sighed, glancing back towards the woman, she was obviously up to something if the glint in her eyes meant anything.

Kaito frowned, not really understanding "What?" Why was Ginzo encouraging him to fling things at Mistressan?

Poor boy, he's too serious for his age. Mistressan grinned "I'm not going to stop" She was hopefully going to get him to act his own age. She wasn't sure if they'd seen the news lately but it was bound to make things harder for the boy once they did see it.

Not wanting to get caught between the two, Ginzo headed towards the living area, causing Kaito to squeak in distress now that his shield was gone. He'd let her deal with Kaito as he thought about what they were going to do next. He pulled out his phone and sat on the couch, dialling in Danashi's number. The guy had more contacts than him so he might be able to think up a way to help Kaito.

"Keibu?" Danashi's voice was curious as he answered the call. He refrained from using Ginzo's name just in case. He knew many other inspectors so it wouldn't be odd if someone overheard him.

Ginzo pursed his lips, unsure on how he should start "The kid has PTSD and two of the triggers are being in the dark and being too cold" Danashi would obviously know who he was talking about.

Danashi cringed, those weren't good triggers considering who they were talking about. That complicated things quite a bit "There may be more that have yet to be discovered" He hoped not, but it was too soon to tell "How is he with water?" The boy had been found in the water after all.

Ginzo thought for a moment as he ignored a yelp that was most likely from Kaito, the boy had been fine having a shower and he was pretty sure that the boy had had a bath too "Water seems to be fine as far as I can tell" Kaito's fear had been pretty obvious when it came to both the dark and cold. He hadn't heard a scream from the washroom so he figured that Kaito was fine with water. It had been a cold and dark night, and Kaito had been struggling with the water... "He was clinging to a net of dead fish..." He mused, half to himself.

"You should probably test out fish then just in case" The superintendent stated after a moment of thought "It'd be better to find out in a controlled environment than somewhere else"

The inspector lowered his head "I don't know what to do next" He admitted softly "He needs help but there's no time for him to get that help" Kaito wouldn't wait that long.

Danashi was silent for a good while "I know of someone that might help..." He paused "But I'm not sure and it wouldn't be by traditional means"

Ginzo blinked "How?" Who else could help but a therapist specialized in trauma?

"I'm not sure if it would be good for him considering his mental state..." Danashi paused "But I once met a world renowned illusionist who was good with messing with people's heads..." He trailed off, a little unsure. The guy seemed interested in police work so maybe if he offered the guy a favour to be called in. Famous people got into lots of scandals due to nosy people right?

"Kaito's head was already fucked up before this..." Ginzo bit his lip, was it okay to let a guy mess with it even more? But Kaito could very well make a mistake during his next heist and die if things stayed how they were. He let out a weary breath, running his free hand through his hair "I'll have to ask him"

Danashi nodded in understanding even though Ginzo couldn't see him "I'll just use the same excuse as we did with Dr.Kalos" That way the illusionist would understand why they weren't going to give him the full details of Kaito's situation. It also helped that the boy looked younger than he was, people often helped children before teens after all and Kaito was technically a teen. Even if he didn't look like it.

"Okay, thank you Hakuba-san" Ginzo replied gratefully before hanging up. A small laugh came from the kitchen, making the inspector pause in putting his phone away. Had that been Kaito? It was hard to tell since it sounded so off for him.

Chapter 67: Chapter 66 Misty

Notes:

Written May 30 2020
Posted on Wattpad July 11 2020
Posted here February 12 2021

Chapter Text

When the inspector entered the kitchen, he was met with a weird sight. The area was coated in wasted batter, which had been expected, but that wasn't what was odd. Kaito was crouched down near the fridge, a bowl and spoon in hand, indigo gleaming with something he didn't really ever remember seeing on the boy. He also had a mischievous smile, but it was different than the one he had as Kid.

"Oh Keibu" Kaito glanced down at the bowl he'd been weaponizing, flushing in embarrassment. He hadn't meant to really get caught up in getting back at Mistressan, it had just happened "Sorry for the mess" He breathed, only just now realizing that they really had made a mess of the place "You don't have to help clean it up" He added, wishing that he hadn't acted so childish.

Ginzo snorted "Why don't you go clean yourself up" Kaito looked kinda funny coated in batter, though none of it had hit the other's bandages thankfully.

Mistressan giggled at how Kaito's face went even redder at the mention of him being messy "I'll help clean until it's my turn to clean myself up" Kaito had gotten her good once he'd actually started to try.

Kaito ducked his head, ears burning for some reason "Okay" He agreed before swiftly heading towards the washroom.

"Poor boy, getting flustered from acting like a kid" Mistressan's eyes were soft. It was cute seeing Kaito all embarrassed, but also sad when she thought about why he was flustered.

Ginzo eyed the woman "How did you get him to actually play along?" He couldn't help but feel jealous of her achievements regarding Kaito.

Slate softened as a smile tugged at Mistressan's lips "I can't believe you're jealous" Years of working with clients have honed her abilities to read people, especially males "You're still Kaito's favourite" She teased, shifting so that she was resting most of her weight on one him "I may have gotten him to be childish, but you're the one who gives him the feelings of safety and protection"

Safety and protection? The inspector recalled how many times the boy had just clung to him "I wasn't jealous" He denied, grabbing some paper towel so that he could start cleaning up.

Mistressan smirked "Sure" She joined in on the clean up.

When Kaito came back from the bathroom, freshly showered, with clean clothes, and bandages, he immediately went to go help them.

"How are you going to clean up without new clothes?" Ginzo inquired, realizing that the woman's clothes were indeed dirty.

She raised a brow at the question "I'm a veteran prostitute" Ginzo choked at her words "I always have back up clothes" Mistressan replied, fetching her purse before heading towards the washroom.

Kaito smiled a bit at the other's reaction "And that is why I teased you so much as Kid" Indigo gleamed a bit "Your reactions are funny"

Ginzo spluttered a bit before replying "I just forgot what she did for a moment" It wasn't something that was usually talked about by most people, if at all.

Indigo softened "She's wired funny, I am too" He tossed away some soiled paper towel "But in different ways of course" Mistressan liked what she did, she wasn't desperate for the attention nor ashamed.

They'd been cleaning for a bit when the inspector suddenly had a thought come to mind, he  eyed Kaito "Since she knows your name, do you know hers?" Her real one of course. Mistressan had told him that Kaito had called her 'Mistressan'. That meant that it wasn't her real name.

"I-" Kaito frowned a bit, indigo suddenly darkening a bit "I'm not sure if she has one besides Mistressan or 'The Mistress'" He admitted "You'd have to ask her yourself" He sure wasn't going to, he knew all too well that there are just some things that you just don't want to talk about.

"Oh sneaky" Both males jumped "Talking about me?" Mistressan inquired, her hair was a bit damp and she'd changed into a nice fitting green and white striped shirt and black yoga pants.

The boy blinked "I thought females were supposed to take longer in the shower" Or at least that's what he'd always heard people say.

Mistressan snickered "I already showered today so I didn't need to do much" She thankfully hadn't gotten anything in her hair. She tilted her head "So why were you guys talking about my name?"

Ginzo gave a small shrug "I was just curious since you're apparently going to be close to Kaito" It felt weird not to know since he had a feeling that she'd be around often.

"Oh" The woman was silent for a few moments "I guess that I'm sort of like Kaito in how I don't know what my name is" It had never really bothered her. She offered a small smile "I was raised to be 'The Mistress' and that was all I was called" She leaned over to ruffle Kaito's hair "When I got free I just kept the name until Kaito came along"

Alarm filled the inspector when her words registered "Free?" When he glanced at Kaito, he noted that the boy didn't seem surprised, just intrigued and curious.

Mistressan offered a small shrug "It doesn't really matter" Slate gleamed "What really matters is that I'm going to bring a whole lot of chocolate over the next time I visit" Children deserved sweets, especially Kaito.

A small blush tinted the boy's cheeks "You don't have to" He paused, as if contemplating something "Misty"

"Misty?" Ginzo inquired, feeling confused along with the previous concern about the woman.

"Yeah" Kaito nodded "It's English, but it sounds similar to Mistressan and describes her eye colour a bit"

Slate softened as Mistressan knelt down to give the boy a hug "You're so sweet" She breathed, eyes burning at just how wonderful Kaito was "I like the name Misty" Misty replied softly, heart melting "Mistressan Misty" It sounded a bit weird, but she liked it.

Kaito flashed a bright smile as he pulled away from the hug "And I'm Kuroba Kaito" He liked the last name that Ginzo had chosen for their disguises so he was going to keep it.

Chapter 68: Chapter 67 Deaths

Notes:

Written June 7 2020
Posted on Wattpad July 18 2020
Posted here February 19 2021

NEXT UPDATE is on March 5 2021

Chapter Text

After the three finished cleaning up the kitchen, they went about actually making and eating breakfast instead of throwing things around. It had been an interesting ordeal, especially since Misty had proven that she was the best cook between the three of them. While Ginzo had improved significantly since meeting Kaito, and the boy had been decent, Misty was actually quite skilled in cooking.

Apparently it had been part of her training, which she never specified about. Though the inspector did have his suspicions, and they made him wonder just how similar her and Kaito really were.

Kaito had been trained since he was a very young child in his many skills affiliated to being Kaitou Kid, Misty had probably been trained to do her part as 'The Mistress'. The woman hadn't elaborated about what that actually meant, but he had a guess, and he didn't like it. There was also the fact that the two never really had proper names... Was that why Kaito had gotten attached to her so easily? He wasn't sure.

Now that breakfast had been eaten and cleaned up after, Misty turned towards the inspector "I need to talk to you about something" She stated, tone soft but firm as she side eyed Kaito.

Ginzo blinked, following her gaze "Okay?"

She let out a breath "In your room" Kaito was watching something on Netflix, seemingly ignoring the other two as the inspector nodded and led her to his room. Indigo lit up with curiosity as he wondered what they wanted to talk about.

A few moments after the entered Ginzo's room, Misty closed the door "Have you checked the news recently?" She inquired now that Kaito was no longer within hearing range. She hadn't wanted the boy to be a part of their conversation, at all.

The inspector grimaced "No, we've both been intentionally avoiding the news" If Misty was bringing it up now, then it must not have been good. Shit.

She pursed her lips, recalling the shock she'd felt when watching the news "It's bad" She admitted, slate soft with concern "Really bad" It was why she had decided to check up on the boy today, to make sure that he wasn't planning anything too rash. It was that bad.

Ginzo's mouth went dry, he'd been expecting something to happen, but still... "What happened?" He breathed, both curious and scared. Hopefully whatever it was, won't hurt Kaito too much when he finds out.

Misty visibly hesitated before answering "There was an announcement" She started, feeling sick "That a random child will be sniped for every hour that Kid doesn't show up" Over 60 children have died already, and the number was growing rapidly with each hour that passed.

Fuck, a child every hour? The inspector couldn't help but pale in horror "Shit" He met her gaze "Why children?" Wouldn't anyone have worked? It was confusing. Kid cared about anyone with a pulse, so why were children being specifically targeted?

Slate softened "He's called Kid" She swallowed, heart hurting for Kaito "So they said that it was only fair that they kill kids in his name" Because the Crows were heartless murderers, like Kaito had warned her about.

Holy shit, if Kaito found out... "He's going to die" He whispered, voice hoarse, as he felt ice chilling his veins at the thought. There was absolutely no way that Kaito would value himself over so many children, even with how far the boy had improved.

Her eyes narrowed in concern "But hasn't he done a heist while injured before?" Kid was famous for a good reason, the boy was skilled. Surely he'd be able to do a quick heist right? It wasn't like the guys were asking for Kid to give himself up, thank the gods.

Ginzo shook his head "He can't" His fingers clenched, knuckles whitening "He's developed an extreme fear to both the dark and being cold" He grit his teeth "He may try, but it's more likely that he'll slip up and get himself killed" He lowered his head "At the very least, he'll try to mess with his own head to distance himself"

"Oh" Misty couldn't help grimacing at the knowledge "Then I guess that it's good that I did decide to come here to warn you" She breathed, feeling worried "This way you should be more prepared to stop Kaito from being stupid" Ginzo would be informed enough to move Kaito's attention away from the news instead of allowing it.

"He would have found out eventually" The inspector regretfully agreed. It was hard for such a big ongoing incident to be missed. If not by the media, then by possibly overhearing people talk about it. He felt sick, they'd have been in a fair amount of danger if they had actually gone out that day. So in a way, Kaito's panic had helped them stay safe.

She glanced at the door "We should join Kaito to relieve any suspicions about what we were talking about" Kaito was smart, so he obviously knew that they were talking about something that he wasn't supposed to know. Misty frowned "It's actually surprising that he didn't follow us to listen in"

Ginzo blinked, freezing before abruptly heading towards the door. He had a bad feeling "Kaito?" He called as he marched towards the living room. He got no answer "Fucking shit!" He growled, noting that the boy wasn't on the couch. The TV was off and only felt a little warm like it'd been off for a while.

"He's not in the other room" Misty called, looking frazzled. Had Kaito listened in?

The inspector's eyes burned as he saw that Kaito's shoes were also missing "He's gone" He breathed, sinking to his knees. Why hadn't he realized that the idiot would listen in on them?! Kaito was Kid, and he was known for sneaking around!

"Do you have any idea on where to find him?" Misty inquired, voice soft as she tried to think of places herself "There was no set location in the threats"

"No" Ginzo whispered, shaking his head "I have no idea" Kaito had always been a secretive person "He could be anywhere by now"

Chapter 69: Chapter 68

Notes:

Written June 13 2020
Posted on Wattpad August 1 2020
Posted here March 5 2021

Chapter Text

Kaito stifled a small yawn as he headed back to the apartment. He'd checked the weather on his phone to see if it was too cold or not for him to head out. Thankfully the air was cool, but not as chilly as the last time he'd tied to go out. Since it indicated that it would get colder later in the day, the teen had left swiftly in order to beat the cold, and to help him resist the urge to listen in on Ginzo and Misty's conversation. Eavesdropping was a habit of his that was hard to fight at times.

Indigo gleamed a bit as he wondered if the two would even notice that he'd left. The drug store wasn't that far from where they lived so it was completely possible that he could just pretend that he'd never left in the first place.

A small glint in the corner of his eye suddenly caught his attention, his gaze narrowed as he traced it to the top of a tall building. If he were at a heist, he'd have thought that it was a sniper, maybe some small repairs were being done to it. Kaito stifled another yawn, switching the bag he was carrying from his left hand to his right as he began to cross a bridge.

Instincts suddenly screaming, he sidestepped, pain suddenly shooting through his right cheek. Easily recognizing the familiar pain of being grazed by a bullet, the boy staggered and fell off the bridge, making sure that it had looked like an accident.

Safely out of the shooter's sight, Kaito clung upside down to one of the bridge's support beams. What the hell? Why'd he get shot at?! He hadn't done anything suspicious as himself lately. The boy bit his lip, worry filling him as he ignored the warm blood seeping from his newest injury. He needed to get away from here in case whoever shot at him went looking for his body. Kaito couldn't help but grimace, the only thing that'd saved him was his instincts since he was used to being shot at.

Kaito scanned the structure, easily plotting a way down without being seen. Once he was on the ground, he hid in a few bushes before bolting his way towards an alley and launching himself up a fire escape route until he was high enough to fling himself onto a roof. The boy then scurried so that he was behind a maintenance hatch so that he was hidden from the shooter's direction.

Once he deemed himself safe enough, Kaito opened the bag he'd been carrying to pull out the first aid supplies that he'd initially bought to care for his empty eye socket. He pulled his sleeve so that it covered his hand before spitting on a metal duct and using his sleeve to wipe away enough grime for him to view himself. The boy couldn't help but frown when he saw himself, the whole right side of his face below his cheekbone was covered in blood. Head injuries always did bleed a lot, but at least the cut didn't look too bad, he'd easily had worse.

With a small sigh, he texted Ginzo telling him that he'd left to buy some things but would probably take a while before returning. He slipped his phone away before working on patching himself up, there was no way that he'd be able to return all covered in blood, people would notice. Indigo narrowed as he popped open a bottle of disinfectant, maybe he should change his coat too, just in case.

Ginzo stared at the text, a rush of relief filling him. Kaito hadn't gone to look for the Crows, he'd just gone out to buy a few things "He just went to the store" He breathed aloud.

Misty let out a breath "That's good" Just sitting around had been nerve wracking. She turned towards the inspector "Does he often leave without notice?" It seemed like something that Kaito might do, but one never knew for sure.

"Off and on" The inspector admitted, running a hand through his hair. He hadn't texted Kaito in case it might endanger the boy. He let out a sigh "The timing was horrible as fuck" He growled half to himself.

The woman offered a small smile after checking her phone "At least we know Kaito won't be targeted since the kills happen within the last ten minutes of each hour" Kaito had texted around 12:07pm. That meant that he'd only be in danger if he stayed out for too long, which wasn't likely.

Ginzo nodded, feeling weary, the day had passed by swiftly so far.

It hadn't taken long for him to patch himself up, nor snag a different coat for himself. Though that still didn't mean that the inspector wouldn't be annoyed at how he'd managed to get hurt once more. Not to mention that he'd spent a bit of time backtracking and taking random routes in case he was being followed. There was absolutely no way that he'd allow himself to lead dangerous people to both Ginzo and Misty.

Kaito self consciously touched the newest bandages covering his face as he entered the building, though this time it was more like a patch than like his older injuries. At least the bleeding had stopped so that it didn't soak through. That was something right? He glanced at his watch, noting that it was almost 1, he'd been out a lot longer than expected.

When he peered through their door, he spotted Ginzo sitting on the couch. Misty wasn't visible but he smelt something good "I'm back" He breathed, closing the door behind him before removing his shoes.

Ginzo's gaze narrowed, Kaito looked a bit pale "You have more bandages" His tone was accusatory, making Kaito shrink back a little.

"Yeah" He offered a nervous smile "I don't know what really happened so it's not my fault" He'd been shot at, but he didn't know why.

The inspector sighed, gaze softening "What happened this time?" He was just relieved that the boy hadn't gone after the Crows.

Chapter 70: Chapter 69 Confrontation, Concern

Notes:

Written June 28 2020
Posted on Wattpad August 8 2020
Posted here March 12 2021

Chapter Text

"Um" Kaito paused, offering a small smile "I may have gotten shot at?" His tone was a bit pitched.

Ginzo opened his mouth to scold the boy before closing it, forcing his posture to relax a bit. Kaito wasn't the one he was mad at "Do you have any idea why?" He inquired, hoping that the other hadn't seen the news while he was out.

The boy eyed Ginzo curiously "No" He hadn't been doing anything suspicious. He frowned, indigo narrowed in thought "But I'm worried that I was targeted" Was his cover blown? If it was, had the inspector's been blown as well? If so, then the other's daughter was probably in danger, or already dead.

His relief that Kaito wasn't aware was short lived as Ginzo watched the boy quickly get lost in thought, Kaito's body visibly tensing at whatever was going through his mind. Alarm suddenly filled him when Kaito's eye began to shine with unshed tears "Oi" He put his hands on the other's shoulder "What are you thinking right now?" He couldn't read minds, but he could easily tell that Kaito was upset.

Kaito swallowed, suddenly feeling sick "Our cover might be blown" His words were strained as a small shiver ran down his spine "I'm not sure if it's already too late" He kept his gaze lowered, feeling too guilty to meet the other's gaze. Aoko could be dead because of him, he'd promised that Ginzo's daughter would be protected.

Ginzo inwardly cursed, of course he would come to that conclusion if he wasn't aware of the news! He should have realized that "That doesn't make any sense" He gave Kaito's shoulders a little squeeze "If you, as Kid, were the target, you'd have been shot as soon as you left" He breathed "But you weren't right?" Kaito blinked before giving a small nod "So that means that our location isn't being watched"

The boy was silent for a few moments "Keibu, you're acting too calm" Shouldn't Ginzo be scolding or fussing over him? Instead, the other had actually shown some signs of relief now that he thought about it. Ginzo wouldn't be relieved about him being shot, not if he knew something worse "What are you hiding?" His tone was even as he met Ginzo's gaze.

"I-" If he lied, he'd might damage Kaito's trust in him "I don't want to lie to you" Ginzo held the other's gaze "So I'm not going to tell you" He didn't want Kaito to do anything stupid.

Indigo widened, Ginzo's expression said a lot "If you're not telling me, then it must be bad" His mind whirled into action, how could Ginzo know something big without telling him? The other hadn't really left the house. Indigo narrowed, Misty was here though, she could have given Ginzo some information. His gaze flickered towards the kitchen where he suspected the woman was lingering, it was a possibility, but then the information couldn't be about the crows. Oh! He took out his phone, hopping away when the inspector tried to snatch it.

"Kaito" Ginzo's face was pinched with concern "Please don't" He pleased as he followed after the boy.

"I unplugged the internet cable" Both males paused, looking over at Misty who'd finally exited the kitchen. Her eyes were soft "You won't be able to get it back until I say so" She'd taken it while the inspector had been distracted and before Kaito had returned, just in case.

"Misty..." Kaito's shoulder's were tense as he glanced down at the news app that refused to load "Why?" What could possibly be so bad that the two of them were so desperate to hide from him?

Slate softened as Misty made her way over to him, pulling him into a hug "It's because we love you" She ran her fingers through his hair "So we're scared about what you might try to do" She didn't want to lose Kaito.

Ginzo nodded since Kaito was already being hugged "You're so damn smart Kaito" His tone was soft "But you're also prone to doing stupid things" He paused "We don't want to lose you"

Indigo burned as he leaned into the hug, this was too much, way too much. He'd known, so why was he suddenly feeling overwhelmed by the affection, by the love? "What if I promise to stay put?" His voice cracked a bit. He needed to know what happened, it had to be about the skipped heist, he just knew it. He needed to know how many people died because of him.

"You promise?" Ginzo inquired softly, heart aching at how vulnerable Kaito looked. It made him want to hide the information from Kaito even more, it would hurt him, he just knew it. At the same time however, he knew that the boy always kept to his word.

Kaito hesitated for a few moments before answering "I promise that I'll stay put" The words felt bitter on his tongue, already knowing that he'd regret the promise.

"Okay" Misty breathed, still looking worried as she pulled away. She slipped her hand into her shirt and pulled out the internet cable. She'd hidden it there because no matter how desperate the boy was, he would never stick his hand in her shirt. She reattached the cord before turning towards the boy "You're going to sit in the middle of the couch, sandwiched between me an Nakamori-san hugging you" Kaito was not going to hide alone in his room to read the news, she wouldn't let him.

Once the three of them were on the couch, the internet had properly kicked in, allowing Kaito to access the news on his phone. He immediately paled at the news lines, all of them talked about child killings and Kid "What?" It was quiet, barely audible. He couldn't help but shiver as he contemplated which article he should read first, none of them sounded good.

Misty leaned over, scrolling the screen a bit before clicking on the article she'd read "This is the one that I saw before coming over"

Kaito nodded silently, that sounded like a good place to start. He braced himself before starting to read the article.

Chapter 71: Chapter 70 Confliction, Worry, Plans

Notes:

Written June 30 2020
Posted on Wattpad August 15 2020
Posted here March 19 2021

NEXT UPDATE is on April 2 2021

Chapter Text

Kaito could feel himself trembling as he stared blankly at the screen, it had been around 70, he glanced at the time, 71 hours since the threat towards his moonlight persona had been made. Indigo burned, 70 children had died because of him, because he'd been too scared to check the news before now. The only reason why 71 kids hadn't died was due to the fact that he'd actually been targeted. The boy swallowed feeling sick, the shooter had to be stopped "I-" He lowered his head "I need to stop them" So many kids had been killed just for the sake of luring him out.

Ginzo wrapped a hand around the boy's wrist before Kaito could even manage to make a move "You can't go out there" His tone was firm "They're eventually going to come to the conclusion that you're dead so it should stop soon" Because there was no way that Kaitou Kid would willingly let so many children die if he could stop it. His gaze darkened "You also promised not to leave"

The boy curled in on himself, a small whine building in the back of his throat "I can't just sit here and do nothing now that I know" He wasn't the kind of person to do that, it was against his nature "What about a day heist?" It would both tell the Crows that he was still alive and be less risky.

"It's still too dangerous" The inspector breathed, the Crows were acting crazy so he didn't want Kaito to risk it.

Kaito lowered his gaze "Technically every heist is dangerous" If the police ever caught him, he'd probably be dead.

Misty frowned "Maybe a small in and out heist?" Ginzo gave her a dark look "The target could be just a small gem" She didn't think that Kaito would be able to handle doing nothing.

Ginzo scowled "But then the Crows would know that they could easily manipulate Kid" There'd be more and more hostage situations until they eventually asked for Kid himself. It was a wonder that they hadn't done so in the first place instead of just asking for him to show up. It was odd.

The boy chewed a bit on his bottom lip, the inspector had a good point. It'd be a lot more dangerous if the Crows knew how easily they could tie his hands "How many kids will die until they stop?" What if they didn't stop? Either way, he was pretty sure that the next heist would have a lot less fans around.

Over 70 dead children in less than a week was bad, even he knew that. Ginzo could understand where Kaito was coming from, but at the same time, he didn't want the boy to do a heist so soon "They can't keep this stunt up forever" He breathed, it was attracting too much attention as it was. Soon the big guns would be pulled out to catch the child killers, he figured that the higher ups were already scrambling to get measures set up.

"It'll be worse at the next heist if I do nothing" Kaito countered. The police wouldn't be as friendly towards him.

"Kaito" The boy blinked up at Misty "What if Kaitou Kid stays dead?" Slate softened a bit when the other's eyes widened "You could use this as an out to live a normal life. Kid would be assumed to be dead since his last sighting was of him getting shot" She ruffled the boy's hair "Or Kid could return years from now under the guise of healing from a serious injury" Misty offered a small smile "You'd be older, and would have had a lot more time to allow you to heal" Mentally.

Kaito's eyes watered, it was tempting, so very tempting "I'm not going to lay low and let them hurt more people in their silly search" He sucked in a breath "If Kid is to disappear, then Pandora has to do so with him" Which isn't likely, so he'd have to take down the Crows instead. He met her gaze "It'd be too suspicious if we potentially fake finding Pandora anytime soon" It'd also take a while to figure out how to make a realistic gem to play the role of Pandora. The Crows would have to see both the glow, and the destruction of the gem. How could he make a gem glow without using items that'd give away the fact that it was fake? "Keibu would also have to wait to see his daughter again if the Crows are still around"

Ginzo let out a weary sigh, feeling like he was twice his true age "If you do the day heist, you're not allowed to endanger yourself" At Kaito's confused look he explained "Ignore any hostages, and make your actions look like you're more injured than you are to clear your name" He couldn't believe that he was agreeing to this.

Indigo lit up at the other's words as Kaito gave him a firm nod "I won't do any fancy tricks to show off" He hesitated a bit before continuing "And I won't risk myself for a hostage" His head lowered, fingers curling into fists "I can't let myself be taken down" He didn't want to die, especially not before he could cure Ginzo and reunite him with his daughter.

Misty leaned over to wrap the boy up in a hug, she was worried, but proud of Kaito "Thank you" She then let the boy go "If I know anything about you" Slate gleamed "Then I know that the heist is going to be tomorrow isn't it?" Today would be too soon.

Kaito gave a small nod, a fragile smile on his lips "Yeah, most likely at noon" Now all he had to do was find a simple gem that wouldn't take too much effort to steal. Maybe he'd target the same museum as the one that he stole the Blue Birthday from, it was quite close so he wouldn't have to go far to get to safety.

Chapter 72: Chapter 71 Simple Heist...

Notes:

Written July 16 2020
Posted on Wattpad August 22 2020
Posted here April 2 2021

Chapter Text

The notice had been sent around midnight, the target was a gem called 'Tiny Miracle'. While the gem itself wasn't actually all that much with it being a small emerald embedded into a thin, white gold bracelet, it's discovery story was what brought in it's viewers. Apparently a child had gone missing during an abandoned mine tour, only to be found a few days later in a crevice that had a small stream of water pouring from a few cracks and some berry bushes. The crevice had been littered with tiny bits of emerald, and the biggest chunk had been cut into a yen sized square and embedded into the bracelet.

It was a newer gem and lacked the mysterious origins that many of the Crows' targets had, which meant that the Crows wouldn't care about it. The story behind it had made Kaito smile despite the current circumstance that he was in, he'd been glad to read that the child had been fine. The world needed more gems with lighthearted backstories. An alarming amount of them were about betrayal or blood.

After the heist note had been sent, there'd been no new reports of child deaths, something which allowed the boy to breathe a little more easier. The weight of knowing that another death was about to happen no longer burdened him.

Kid was silent as he made his way through the vents, everything felt a bit off considering that it was nearing noon instead of midnight. He'd replaced his bandages with more specialized ones that clung to his right eye socket better. This allowed him to safely cover it with a latex copy of his undamaged face. It wouldn't be good if anyone found out that Kaitou Kid was missing an eye. Though he did add some hidden bandages around his head, neck and wrists, places where it was possible to get a chanced glimpse at them. He wanted people to think that he was really injured after all.

An energizing buzz filled the thief as he eyed his target through the vents, it was surrounded by officers, and he'd yet to spot any sign of the Crows, which was good. Had they been just satisfied enough to know that he was still alive?

The thief allowed the time to tick down slowly, a few seconds before the targeted time, he threw down a few smoke bombs, grinning as he watched the officers cough and cover their mouths. Kid then allowed himself to drop down to the floor, making sure to stagger slightly at his landing before snatching the bracelet and running to the nearest window. He'd left it open for his escape.

Since using his glider seemed like a very stupid idea, he instead used the momentum to swing down onto the floor below via another window that he'd left open, setting off a fake gliding Kid the moment he'd left the officer's sight. Like always, there were screams and the sound of hurried footsteps as they went off to catch 'Kid'.

A bitter smile tugged at Kid's lips as he pocketed the bracelet before heading back into the vents, the heist had been short, simple, and very easy. Not to mention boring and anti-climactic. With a sigh he made his way through the vents before entering a small alley and changing back into himself and ditching his Kid supplies behind some removable bricks. He'd come back to get them at a later date just to be safe.

Kaito stifled a yawn as he left the alley, carefully sidestepping out of the way of a few adults, making sure to seem disinterested in them. They'd been dressed in black and had the tell-tale signs of having hidden guns on their person. So the Crows had actually shown up, that was interesting to say the least. He covered another yawn before wiping away the sleepy tears from his left eye. Staying up late to plan the heist had made the boy somewhat drowsy, maybe he'd have a nap when he returned.

Distracted, Kaito let out a surprised yelp after bumping into someone, he gave a small bow, muttering his apologies before continuing to walk away. Or at least he tried to, except he was stopped by someone grabbing his jacket collar and lifting him up "What?!" His words were a bit strangled.

"I thought that by now all brats would be in hiding" Kaito blinked owlishly as he was turned to face the speaker. He knew this man, that handlebar moustache.... He was Snake, one of the main Crows who'd killed his father. Snake grinned, it didn't look friendly in the slightest "Did the Kid heist lure you out?"

"Y-yes" Kaito stuttered, making himself seem like a shy child. It seemed like it'd be safer to answer than to stay silent, Snake was prone to rash violence.

Snake eyed the boy, something about the child bugged him, maybe it was the eye colour. It matched the thief's "You're coming with me" The boy squawked as he tucked him under his arm like a parcel. Easy to reach children had become a bit rare recently, so he might as well take this one "Blame Kaitou Kid" This'll be the last message to tell Kid that the bastard shouldn't ignore them.

"P-please no" Kaito's words trembled as terror began to slowly seep into him "I want to go home" He struggled weakly, not wanting to seem like too much of a threat. This wasn't good, he hadn't thought about the possibility of being captured as himself.

"Shut up or I'll kill you and find someone to take your place" The killer scowled, he hated whiny kids, they were annoying.

Kaito's mouth snapped shut, Snake wasn't bluffing. He was trembling, but that was fine, it couldn't possibly seem suspicious. He was a child who was being kidnapped, it'd be more weird if he'd actually hid his fear. Indigos clenched shut as he both tried and failed to steady his breathing.

"Good boy" Snake smirked, enjoying the kid's fear. He couldn't help but bark out a laugh when the kid actually went limp. Ha! He'd never scared someone bad enough for that to happen before!

Chapter 73: Chapter 72 Innocent Deceit

Notes:

Written July 27 2020
Posted on Wattpad September 5 2020
Posted here April 9 2021

Chapter Text

"Wake up little boy"

Kaito grimaced, shifting a bit before sitting up, he could hear a car running. Indigo blinked open to reveal that he had absolutely no idea where he was. He was still for a few moments before jolting in alarm, hadn't he gotten captured by Snake? Breath hitching with fear, the boy's gaze whipped around, landing on a male that he didn't recognize. The male had shoulder length blond hair and dark blue eyes, Kaito shifted away from the guy.

"Are you okay Kaito-kun?" The male inquired, though he didn't appear to actually be concerned about him.

Indigo widened, how did this guy know his name?! "I'm fine" He felt like he was going to faint, the boy lowered his head, averting his gaze "Who are you?" If he acted submissive, he wouldn't be seen as a threat right?

"Oh I'm sorry" The man offered a convincing false smile, very few would have noticed "Being addressed by a strange male after being almost kidnapped doesn't sound so good"

Almost kidnapped? Kaito peered at the other curiously "Did you save me?" Then why was he getting bad vibes from the guy?

The man nodded "Hakuba Danashi contacted me about you" It'd been such a coincidence that that he'd seen Snake carrying the boy "I figured that seeing you being carried like that wasn't a good thing so I took you from that kidnapper" He offered another false smile "I'm Gunter Von Goldberg, the one Hakuba-san contacted to help with your fears" He rarely used his talents to help others, but having the superintendent owe him sounded like something that could come in handy one day.

Oh, he vaguely remembered Ginzo asking him if he'd be okay with Danashi contacting someone to help "How did you save me?" Was Gunter now in danger from the Crows as well? That wasn't good.

There was an odd glint in the other's eye "I just called out to the person carrying you and thanked him for finding my son" He replied "He handed you over quite easily so I guess that he wasn't after you specifically" The damn idiot had already raised too much of a ruckus lately, thankfully Snake was now being punished. At least Scorpion hadn't let others see them whenever they took a shot.

Kaito nodded at the answer, still feeling uneasy around Gunter "So where are you taking me?" There was no way that he was going to send him to Ginzo right? That'd be too dangerous.

"I called Hakuba-san, and he told me that we can do the session at his house" Which was fine, less attention that way. It'd be annoying if he started to get countless calls asking for help "And don't worry, I won't pry too much about your situation" He didn't care enough to hear the story of an abused kid, stories like that were more common than people usually think. With that, the ride continued with an awkward silence.

When they arrived at the Hakuba estate, Kaito forced himself to follow behind Gunter instead of hurrying towards the door.

"I'm glad to see you Kaito" Relief was evident in his voice, the man then turned towards Gunter "Thank you for both saving him and coming here Goldberg-san" He moved back to allow the two to enter.

Gunter shrugged "It wasn't much of a problem" It had been ridiculously easy "Though it wasn't very smart of you to let the kid go outside during times like this"

"Ah" Danashi grimaced "I'll keep a better eye on him" Kaito silently moved so that he was closer to him, he didn't really trust Gunter.

"Good" Dark blue turned towards the boy "Do you have any idea about how I'm going to help you?" He had to play nice and accommodating.

Kaito blinked "You're going to mess with my already messed up mind"

Oh? What a way with words this kid had "That is correct" He paused "Your fears are the dark and the cold, am I right?" At the  boy's nod he continued "I'm not able to erase your fears, but I could potentially translate them to something else" Shifting was a lot easier than removing after all "It will have a higher success rate if the new target is something that you already fear a bit"

The boy frowned, he wasn't fearless, but he also didn't have many fears that wouldn't hurt his ability as Kid "Fish..." He lowered his gaze. When he'd spotted some fish at the store, he'd felt a chill go down his spine. The sight reminded him of when he'd gotten shot, it just hadn't been nearly as bad as the cold and dark. It'd just made him a bit uneasy.

Gunter raised a brow "You do know that you're in Japan right?"

Kaito swallowed "I know, but I'll just learn to avoid fish" It didn't matter if he ended up getting jump scared at the supermarket, he needed to be able to be Kaitou Kid at night, and on cold days.

"Very well" Gunter turned towards Danashi "The two of us will need a dark room"

"I've already set up my spare study for you to work with" He'd done so the moment the other had called him about finding Kaito. It'd allowed him to spend away his nervous energy for him to be able to look presentable when they arrived "I'll show you the way"

When they reached said study, Gunter turned towards the officer "Don't come in, even if you hear screaming" He paused "And get some fish ready for the final test" With that, both him and Kaito entered the study.

Danashi sighed after hearing the door click, he should probably text Ginzo to tell him that Kaito was okay. The boy had been missing for a few hours, which had sent the poor inspector into a panic. He could actually call the guy, but the odds of the other yelling was quite high. After sending a quick text then silencing his phone, Danashi headed towards his freezer to make sure that he did in fact have some fish. Thankfully he did have some fish that still looked like a fish.

Chapter 74: Chapter 73 Fuzzy, Fear

Notes:

Written July 29 2020
Posted on Wattpad September 12 2020
Posted here April 16 2021

Chapter Text

Kaito felt, lost. That was the only way that he knew how to describe it, and even then, it didn't really feel right. It was kinda hard to pay attention to things right now, but that was apparently to be expected? He'd been told that, or at least he thought he'd been? Things would go back to normal after his mind settled a bit. He didn't even really remember what had happened after he'd entered the dark study, one moment the door was closing, and the next, he was being led by Danashi to the living area.

Paying attention to the conversation between Gunter and Danashi took too much effort, so he'd stopped trying after the first minute. It hadn't been worth the growing pain, but thankfully it ended when he'd just let his mind float.

Some movement in the corner of his eye caught his attention, so he turned to see what had been placed beside him. Big mistake. Kaito shrieked, somehow leaping both up and behind the couch, fear and adrenaline pulsing through his veins as he bolted to the furthest corner of the room, away from that thing. Those small buggy eyes and slimy scales, his breath got caught in the back of his throat, he needed to get away. Now he was balanced in the room's ceiling corner. Kaito forced his eyes to close, turning his face so that he was no longer looking at the dreaded thing. His trembling and sweating were making it harder to keep his grip, but that wouldn't stop him. He needed to keep his distance.

Danashi's heart went out to the petrified boy, he wanted to comfort him, but Gunter had advised him not to. It was apparently best to allow the fear to cement itself before Kaito's mind settled fully, any comfort may risk ruining the desired effect "How long should this go on for?" He inquired.

Gunter was silent for a few moments, observing the pure terror, it was quite interesting "Until he either faints, or his mind settles enough for him to become properly aware" He'd never thought about actually permanently ingraining a strong fear into someone before, usually he only bothered with causing short term trauma since the desired result was usually death. Maybe he should experiment later... "Though I must say, the boy's agility is quite impressive" He'd almost missed the boy's actions.

The superintendent inwardly cursed, thankful that he hadn't gotten Ginzo to come over first "Thank you for helping him" Since complaining wouldn't do anything, he might as well thank the illusionist. He was definitely going to get Kaito to go to therapy one day. A loud thunk made both males turn back towards Kaito, the boy had apparently passed out and fallen.

"I don't mind" Gunter paused "Today's events were intriguing... But I should probably get going now" He had a lot to think about concerning his talents and the potential new tactics he could use.

Danashi saw the other out before going over to check on Kaito, the poor boy looked haunted, even in his sleep. Yeah, it was a good thing that Ginzo hadn't been here. At least it didn't seem like the boy had hurt himself from the fall, the worst of the damage was going to be a small bump on the head, and maybe a few bruises. He really should have moved something to catch him, what if he'd fallen bad and snapped his neck?

Ginzo felt restless as he sat in the backseat of the cab, the knowledge that Kaito had actually been captured, but had gotten saved had terrified him. What would have happened if that illusionist hadn't spotted the boy being taken? The only thing that had stopped him from full out panicking was that Danashi had also stated that Kaito had been fine within the same text message.

Now he and Misty were heading over to Danashi's home, neither one wanting to wait for the boy to return on his own. Misty had actually stayed the night, using Kaito's bed since the boy hadn't been planning to use it due to heist prep. The ride was both tense and silent, neither one of them wanting to risk accidentally giving out any vital information due to stress.

When they arrived, Misty quickly paid the driver, at that point the inspector had already left the cab "There's no need to run" The woman sighed once the cab had driven off. The driveway wasn't long enough for it to have made any difference since they needed Danashi to let them in.

When Danashi opened the door, he jumped a bit, having not expected to see Ginzo with anyone "Kaito's resting in one of the guestrooms" If Ginzo brought this woman along, then she was probably trustworthy enough to let inside "I think that it would be best to just let him wake up on his own"

Ginzo clicked his tongue "Why is Kaito sleeping? I thought that he hadn't been hurt"

"He did stay up all night... Not to mention the stress he must have felt" Misty mused, not too surprised that the boy was currently resting.

Danashi grimaced "Kaito is physically fine, but the illusionist left him mentally exhausted" There was no point in lying "He had to transfer his fears to something else..." He closed his eyes, letting out a breath before opening them "Then the results had to be tested" He pursed his lips "It was very effective to say the least"

"Fucking hell" The inspector cursed, that didn't sound good "What's he scared of now?" Did that mean that Kaito's fear had been amplified?

"Fish since he was already apparently uneasy around them" Danashi replied, frowning. It would be difficult to handle.

"... This is Japan though..." Misty bit her lip, feeling concerned "Was he trying to punish himself again?"

Ginzo's gaze darkened at her words "He better not be" If he was, he'd give the boy a scolding of a lifetime.

"Please don't say any accusations right away" The superintendent sighed "Goldberg-san warned me that Kaito's mind will be a little fragile for a while" Kaito did just have someone mess with his head after all.

Chapter 75: Chapter 74

Notes:

Written August 13 2020
Posted on Wattpad September 19 2020
Posted here April 23 2021

NEXT UPDATE is on May 7 2021

Chapter Text

When Kaito woke up, his head felt more clear, but it also hurt. Not to mention the fact that he felt exhausted. He peered around curiously, the fancy setup looked vaguely familiar to him, wait. The boy perked up, sitting up on the bed he'd been laying in, this had to be one of the spare rooms in the Hakuba estate.

With his location no longer unknown, Kaito hopped down from the bed and headed towards the door. Judging by the faint light outside it was either late evening or early in the morning. Either way, the superintendent had to have called Ginzo over by now.

Since he knew the layout of the place, the boy headed towards the living room since it seemed like the place that he was most likely to find the inspector at. Actually, it was sort of odd that the guy hadn't been outside the door, Ginzo worried too much about him.

"Took you long enough to wake up" Ginzo huffed when the boy peered around the corner.

A small smile tugged at Kaito's lips "Sorry, things have been kinda hectic lately" At least he hadn't been yelled at.

"How did you get captured so easily?" Misty inquired, her presence somewhat surprised the boy.

"Ah..." Kaito grimaced "I wasn't suited up anymore... And I froze" More like panicked "I'm pretty sure I fainted" It was a bit embarrassing to admit.

Ginzo's brows knit together with worry "You passed out from fear?" That didn't sound healthy at all, not to mention dangerous.

The boy pouted "The Crows are scary, especially when I don't have tricks to hide behind" He was still surprised that he was even alive, Snake seemed too violent to actually let someone go.

Slate softened at the visible fear on the boy's face, it was odd to see Kaito visibly express it without being panicked "I'm glad that you're okay, how do you feel?"

"I feel tired" Kaito admitted softly, hand up to touch his head "And weird" He remembered what happened after leaving the study with Gunter, but not exactly what Gunter had done to change things in his head.

Ginzo eyed the boy curiously, Kaito's movements were different than usual, but not by much "I guess that you sleeping away most of the day won't mess up your sleep schedule then" He still held a firm belief that Kaito should at least try to have a proper sleep schedule.

"Probably not..." Kaito yawned. The inspector almost jumped when he plopped himself up onto the couch and leaned against him, indigo closed so he missed the wide eyed look that the other was giving him.

Okay, this was weird. Why was Kaito initiating friendly touch? That only happened when the boy was truly upset or out of it. He glanced at Misty for some sort clarification but she was just grinning and sending silent 'awws' at him. When Kaito curled up a few minutes later, Ginzo frowned "I think he's asleep" This was weird.

"That's so adorable" Misty's voice was low, not wanting to wake Kaito up "He really trusts you" At Ginzo's confused look she explained "Weren't we just told that Kaito's mental state would be fragile?" At the other's nod she continued "I think that he fact that he went to you means that you make him feel safe" She grinned "He instinctively trusts you, it's so adorable"

"He's heavy..." Kaito was leaning his full weight onto him, the boy was bigger than him at the moment. Though it did make him happy at the thought.

"I'll carry him to the cab" Slate gleamed, I brought a purse big enough to carry him in it comfortably. She held up said purse.

"That will work" Ginzo eyed the purse, why did such a thing even exist?

With the plan made, Misty called a cab while Ginzo texted Danashi to tell him that they were leaving. The superintendent had been required to leave for work a few hours ago so he figured that it would be good to notify him that they wouldn't be there when he returned.

The cab ride back was uneventful, but it had confused Ginzo when Misty paid said cab and it left "Don't you need to go back to your place?" He inquired curiously.

Misty shook her head "No, I want to check on him when he's more fully awake" She answered as she followed the other "Kaito seemed... A bit off?" He had been quite subdued, more so than she'd been expecting.

"Okay" Who was he to deny Kaito from being cared about? The boy needed more people in his social circle. He just hoped that the odd actions were caused from fatigue.

The woman pursed her lips as she laid Kaito down on the bed "He was acting so cute with how he touched his head and snuggled up to you" But it'd also been weird since Kaito preferred to act older.

Ginzo nodded "He always holds himself in a way that makes him look bigger than he is" But Kaito hadn't been doing that when he'd woken up so he'd seemed smaller, younger. There'd also been a lack of stress in his expression, stress that he'd never noticed until it wasn't there.

Misty pulled up the blankets to tuck Kaito in "Well Kaito's mental barriers are probably mostly down right now, so it's only natural that he'll look as tiny as he actually is..." She trailed off a bit as she eyed the boy, though I do think that he's grown a tiny bit. She'd never really seen Kaito's height change in the years she's known the boy so it seemed odd.

"Wait, really?" The inspector eyed Kaito at the comment "I don't see any difference in his height"

"Of course you don't" She smiled "It's harder to see changes when you live with the person and see them every day"

"Kaito's going to be happy when he finds out" That was one good thing at least.

Misty let out a giggle "Oh definitely, his height bugs him a lot" Seeing Kaito get all defensive about it was adorable "He'll be thrilled that he's already started to grow again"

Chapter 76: Chapter 75

Notes:

Written September 4 2020
Posted on Wattpad October 3 2020
Posted here May 7 2021

Chapter Text

When Kaito woke up again the next morning, he was feeling fairly well rested. Indigo glanced around curiously, noting that he was back in his room. It didn't really bother him as much as it should have that he didn't remember how he got back, he trusted both Ginzo and Misty. The boy curled up in his blanket at the thought of the inspector, it felt so weird to actually feel completely safe around the guy. It was illogical since he was technically more capable at fighting back than Ginzo was at the moment.

He shook his head, not wanting to deal with his confusing thoughts. Maybe he should make breakfast again to thank Ginzo, though for what he wasn't truly sure. He just, wanted to do something nice for him. With his mind made up, Kaito headed towards the kitchen and began to prepare breakfast, making sure to make a enough since he'd spotted Misty sleeping on the couch.

Misty woke to the smell of something burning. She blinked in surprise before heading to the kitchen to investigate. It smelt like food so she wasn't really worried "I had thought that you were a decent cook before now" She teased as she spotted Kaito holding a frying pan that had something black on it.

The boy ducked his head, face flushed from the embarrassment of getting caught burning food so badly "I got distracted" He'd forgotten that he was cooking until the burning smell had reached him. He placed the pan onto one of the burners that hadn't been turned on to let it cool down. He'd deal with it when it was cool and wouldn't potentially get warped from cold water.

"Oh?" She grinned at the other's embarrassment "What distracted you?" She didn't see anything odd nearby that would require attention.

Kaito blinked, opening his mouth before closing it and tilting his head "I forgot" What had he been distracted by again?

He forgot? Misty eyed him, noting that he didn't seem to be lying "It happens to everyone" She shrugged "What were you trying to make?" She inquired.

Indigo glanced towards the counter where the ingredients were "I was making grilled bread and was going to make some scrambled eggs afterwards" Grilled bread should be tastier than toasted bread.

"I've never really thought about just frying bread before" Misty admitted "Though I guess it would be good since it works for grilled cheese"

Kaito nodded "I thought so too" He glanced at the charred thing on the frying pan "I guess burning bread is better than burning something more expensive" He sighed, shoulders drooping. He was lucky that he hadn't set off the fire detector.

Misty smiled "Why don't you go have a shower? I'll handle breakfast since I'm the one imposing" She had a feeling that the other would just end up burning all the bread "You must still be tired, the water should wake you up" The boy looked conflicted as she shooed him out of the kitchen.

"Are you sure?" Kaito was frowning a bit, he'd been cooking breakfast for a reason.

The woman nodded "Yes I'm sure" Slate gleamed "I have no problem with cooking"

"Okay" The response was soft as he went to go and fetch his stuff for a shower.

Misty's smile left her face after Kaito entered the bathroom, that interaction had been odd and she should probably talk to the inspector about it when he woke up. She wanted to make sure that Kaito would refrain from doing any more heists for a bit until the kid was less spacey. What would happen if he spaced out during a heist? She grimaced, not wanting to think about it.

By the time she finished making breakfast, Kaito hadn't finished his shower. Which was odd since the boy was normally quick, even when he used the lounge showers after getting paid. Misty removed the food from the heat before knocking on the bathroom door, after getting no response she headed towards Ginzo's room to wake him up "Nakamori-san, get up and check on Kaito in the washroom" She wasn't worried, the boy had probably spaced out but she knew that the inspector would throw a fit if she was the one to check on Kaito. It wasn't like the boy would care.

Ginzo gave her a look of confusion before the words registered, he quickly sat up, alarmed "What's wrong?"

Misty offered a small smile "Kaito was really spacey this morning so he might have spaced out in there" It could be hard to keep track of time while showering, unless one brought in a clock.

The inspector relaxed a bit at her words "I'll check" It actually didn't seem like it'd be odd for Kaito to be a bit spacey after having his head messed with. He headed to the bathroom and knocked on the door "You okay in there?" He inquired. When he got no response he slowly pushed the door open, giving Kaito plenty of time to stop him "I'm entering"The room was steamy but not dangerously so. He tapped the blue plastic curtain a few times, this time he got a response. He heard the boy give a surprised yelp.

"Keibu?!" Kaito's single eye was wide with confusion as he peeked his head out from behind the curtain.

Ginzo smirked "Misty thought that you might have spaced out since you've apparently been in here for too long" He was proud that he was able to keep himself from flinching at Kaito's empty socket, normally it was covered. He didn't think that it was gross, it was just that it reminded him of that horrible night where he'd almost lost the kid.

Kaito blinked, looking confused "Oh" He'd been in here for that long? "Thanks"

The inspector nodded and left the washroom "I think you were right" He breathed as he entered the kitchen "He was really confused"

"At least the hydro rate of this place is a fixed amount" Misty stated with a smirk as she began to set the table "I even had enough time to deal with Kaito's failed cooking attempt"

"Failed cooking attempt?" Ginzo inquired, having not seen Kaito mess up a meal, he was curious.

Chapter 77: Chapter 76 Pirate Talk

Notes:

Written September 17 2020
Posted on Wattpad October 10 2020
Posted here May 14 2021

Chapter Text

Kaito flushed as he walked into the kitchen, the place still had a lingering burning smell to it "Thanks, it looks good" He stated as he took a seat. Neither the bread nor eggs were burnt.

"It does" Ginzo agreed, he then glanced at Kaito. The boy's eye was covered again with bandages "What sort of eye patch are you going to get to tide you over?" He inquired, remembering that the other was planning to get a very realistic false eye eventually. The bandages were doing the job just fine, but it would probably be easier to just get a proper cover for his eye.

"Oh" Misty suddenly had a mischievous grin "I once saw ones that you can print a design on in a cosplay store"

"A cosplay store?" Ginzo was confused.

Misty nodded "Some of my clients are interesting" She offered, giving a shrug "But anyways, you could get the Kaitou Kid logo on it"

Kaito winced, patting the inspector on the back when the guy choked on his food "Misty, that's just mean" His tone was scolding, but indigo was gleaming with amusement. It would actually be quite fun to do that, but he wouldn't mess with Ginzo like that "I think that I might just get a simple black one"

"But that's too boring" Misty argued. If Kaito had to get one, it might as well be fun.

"Which means that it won't attract as much attention" The boy countered with a grin. He tilted his head "You have anything against pirates?" He didn't bother to hold in his snicker.

"... I'm going to buy you a pirate hat" Misty vowed "One with a big purple feather on top" And she'd bring her camera. It would be a crime not to.

"Just try not to become anymore like a pirate" Ginzo sighed, he would not tolerate the other going for a hook or a peg leg "Thieving and an eye patch is enough" He added, noting that the boy was less zoned out than before. That was good, maybe it was because they were having a conversation.

Kaito smiled, gaze soft "I have absolutely no plans to become more like a pirate" An eye didn't matter, but his limbs kinda did. He couldn't risk having his mobility compromised. The three of them easily finished their breakfast "I'm going to watch some Tv" He breathed once he finished drying the dishes and putting them away. This way he wouldn't stress out the inspector even though he really wanted to start his work on the cure back up. The thought of using Saguru's fancy lab that he'd accidentally acquired temporary ownership of made him hopeful, if not still a bit guilty.

Ginzo let out a relieved breath, glad that the other wasn't planning to head out in his current state "That seems like a good plan" He turned towards Misty "Are you staying or going?"

"I've got to go sort some things out at the lounge before work" She admitted. She'd neglected a few things due to her worry for Kaito, so she had to go. It wouldn't be right to push off her responsibilities onto the other workers.

"Ah, okay" The inspector felt a bit bad at how when he thought about what Misty's job was, he couldn't help but grimace a bit.

The next week passed by peacefully, Kaito had zoned out a lot during the week, but he hadn't managed to hurt himself as a result of it. Though that hadn't meant that there hadn't been any close calls. The boy had ended up getting banned from the kitchen until he got his head back on straight. Watching Kaito chop vegetables had just been too nerve wracking for the inspector so he'd put a stop to it before any incidents could occur.

Misty hadn't really shown up a lot due to being busy, but she had managed to drop off a simple black eye patch for Kaito. The boy had been pleased after putting it on to find out that it was soft and comfortable, more so than the bandages had been. It also didn't make the area around it sweaty or stick to him. Misty had bought him 7 more of the same make for some reason after seeing the other's approval of it.

"I'm not sure how comfortable I am getting my picture taken..." Kaito shifted nervously, glancing at the camera that Misty had brought.

"It'll be fine" Slate gleamed "This isn't connected to anything like my phone" She assured "You don't exist in the system anyways so a picture of you won't be dangerous. You'd just be a random boy" It was impossible to connect a random child to someone like Kaitou Kid.

Kaito blushed, covering his face with the pirate hat that'd been on his head "I'd thought that you were joking" He'd actually forgotten about her promise.

"You look great Kaito" Adorable actually, slate softened "Just a few pictures?" She'd gotten the boy to dress up in some blue pirate clothes, had even gotten a purple eye patch with a skull and crossbones on it for this. The only black bits were the hat, and cat ears that she'd insisted on. Misty gently took the hat and plopped it on Kaito's head, making sure that the cat ears were sticking out and visible.

It wasn't like he hadn't worn worse right? Kaito's shoulders slumped with defeat "Fine, just no really weird poses"

Ginzo snorted, shaking his head in exasperation from the couch. He couldn't really see why Kaito was putting up a fuss, the boy had often dressed up oddly for heists all the time "You lost the moment you agreed to try the clothing on"

Kaito stuck his tongue out in response, knowing that the inspector was right, blinking at the sudden flash from the camera "I wasn't ready!" He flushed at the thought of the undoubtedly childish picture, there was another flash.

"You looked ready" Misty teased, taking a few more pictures before putting the camera away. If she annoyed Kaito too much, he might sabotage how the pictures developed since the camera was one of those cool old ones that required the film to be developed.

Chapter 78: Chapter 77 Holiday Thoughts

Notes:

Written September 26 2020
Posted on Wattpad October 17 2020
Posted here May 21 2021

NEXT UPDATE is on June 4 2021

Chapter Text

Kaito eyed the Christmas decorations curiously as he moved through the streets, watching people move around carrying bags. Normally he just hid away for the last few weeks of December if he could, not wanting to look at what he could never have. Though he did usually get all of the task force members a gift to make up for all the trouble he causes them, that was it though.

Christmas was only in a few days, and he didn't know what he should get for both Ginzo and Misty. Kaito blinked, maybe he should get something for Danashi too? The guy had been surprisingly kind to him, oh his son had been kind and understanding too... Saguru's departure from Japan had made things less risky, not to mention that he'd just recently started using the guy's lab...

The boy frowned as he stared through some display windows to see a silly Santa decoration, the writing was in English and read as 'Marry Christmas' it was a silly mistake. It might work as a gag gift since Saguru was half English, but a gag gift didn't seem appropriate. Kaito tilted his head to the side, cupping his chin. Saguru wanted to be a great detective, and was rich, so he probably had all the basic items to practice with.

Indigo narrowed, he had liked Saguru, so he wanted to get him something good, something that could help him in the future... Something like... Lock picks! Kaito perked up, the skill could help save lives one day! He couldn't help a smile from spreading across his face, it was perfect! He'd make the tools and instruction manual himself, maybe even include locks of varied difficulty! Saguru hadn't been too opposed to spending time with the person 'Kaitou Kid', so it should be fine so long as he makes sure that he isn't trying to convert the other into a thief. Right?

Now for Danashi... Kaito grimaced, there wasn't much that he could give the superintendent that the guy couldn't get for himself. So a physical gift would be difficult, maybe he could secretly do some of the guy's cases? He was already skilled enough to do the paperwork and job properly, so it shouldn't cause any problems. As long as he also gave Danashi a summary so that he didn't get confused if asked about said cases. Yeah, he'd keep that idea for now.

With Misty, he had a few ideas of what the woman would like, but a lot of the clothing choices would probably upset Ginzo. Though that wouldn't really matter if he gave them their gifts separately. He'd recently accidentally made an amazing fabric that just felt like air when worn since it was so light and flowy, except that it wasn't see-through at all like some clothing that he'd seen before. Maybe if he could find out how to make it thicker, but still retain it's flowy qualities?... It'd take a fair amount of research, but if he ended up failing, he could just get her something nice to wear from her favourite adult store. He'd done her laundry many times before, so he knew what she'd like most.

Now all he had left to think about was Ginzo, who ironically felt like the hardest person to buy something for. Kaito let out a sigh, wiping away a thin layer of snow before sitting on a bench. Unlike last year, a Kaitou Kid themed gag gift didn't seem suitable, the situation was way too different than before. He knew what the best gift would be, but it wasn't feasible. It was too dangerous for the inspector to visit his daughter.

The boy clenched his fists, mittens preventing him from doing it properly. The inspector had done so much for him, but he honestly wasn't sure what he could do to convey just how grateful he was to him. A year ago, he was selling himself and living all alone in an empty, desolate, house. Now, he had a cozy place and was no longer thinking that he was alone. He felt safer than he'd ever felt before. He had people who cared about him.

Going crazy with heists in an attempt to get to the Crows would just stress Ginzo out, defeating the purpose. The end could no longer justify the means when it came towards his safety and the Crows, he had to value himself now, because if he didn't, the inspector would become upset.

"Oi, a kid like you shouldn't be sitting all alone at this time of night" Kaito blinked, lifting his head to see someone who looked like a slightly older version of himself. Would he look like that if he'd grown properly? He suddenly winced at being flicked on the forehead "I'm serious" The boy scolded, azure eyes narrowed "The holidays are dangerous because people often let their guard down"

Indigo glanced towards a clock, noting that it was getting late "You're the same age as me" He countered "I don't see your parents anywhere" He wasn't going to let himself be bossed around by this guy.

The boy paused for a moment "You're very short..." He stated, eyeing Kaito more closely "Anyways, they're in that store and know where I am" The boy retorted, pointing towards a high end jewellery store.

"Well I was going to head home anyways" Kaito replied lamely, getting up from the bench. He could continue thinking about possible gifts for the inspector back at the apartment. He took off in a light jog, not wanting the nosy kid to follow him. He allowed himself to get lost in thought after a bit since he knew the way back.

"I'm back" Kaito offered a smile as he removed his boots, leaving them on the mat for them to dry "I'm tired so I'm going to go sleep"

Ginzo looked up from the TV, nodding "Sleep well" If Kaito wanted to sleep earlier than usual, that was fine with him. Though, he looked at his watch, maybe he should sleep a bit early too since he wasn't really into the show he'd been watching.

Chapter 79: Chapter 78 Butterfly ___

Notes:

Written October 3 2020
Posted on Wattpad October 24 2020
posted here June 4 2021

Chapter Text

Ginzo was feeling a bit concerned, he'd barely seen Kaito at all over the last few days. The boy had actually told him that he'd be taking care of his own meals for the meantime so he didn't even see him at mealtime. He also had a sneaking suspicion that the other hadn't been returning at night.

The inspector checked his phone, noting that it was almost midnight. He should really turn in for the night, but he wanted to catch sight of Kaito. At the very least, he wanted to check and make sure that the boy hadn't been neglecting his health.

He had actually been dozing off when the sound of the door locking brought him back to alertness. Ginzo sat up "What's been up with you lately?" There was no point in beating around the bush.

Kaito blinked, just barely stopping himself from jumping. He'd been expecting Ginzo to already be asleep by now. He turned towards the other "I've been preparing some things" He really shouldn't have left it all to the last moments. He quickly removed his winter clothes.

Now that he could see Kaito's face, the inspector was relieved to see that he didn't seem ill, though there were some bandages "What happened?" The boy wasn't pale, so there couldn't be any serious blood loss.

Kaito tilted his head, looking confused for a moment before seeming to realize what the other was talking about "Oh" He swiftly unwrapped the bandages from his arm to reveal a medium sided cut down the outer length of his forearm "I fell on some glass when I chased away a group of jerks from Misty. Don't worry, it's been cleaned and I'm only using bandages since it's a bit too long for band aids to be useful" He was glad that he'd decided to give Misty her gift tonight.

Ginzo blinked, surprised by the answer before becoming concerned "Is she okay?" The woman did frequent some shady areas.

"Yeah" Kaito nodded, re-wrapping his arm "I gave her some things to use for emergencies, but she hadn't been near her work" Which meant that it wasn't likely for her to be sought out easily. He let out a giggle "She knows how to use heels efficiently, my cut was the worst of our injuries" The smoke and gas pellets should be enough to deal with any future problems if there are any. Though he would be keeping an eye on the area just in case.

Okay, he could definitely see Misty being capable enough to nail people with her heels "That's good" He eyed Kaito curiously "But isn't it a weird time to visit her?" It was late and Kaito could have done it in the morning.

Indigo gleamed, a sheepish smile making its way onto his face "I wasn't sure if you'd approve of the gift I got her" He'd failed to make the special fabric less translucent while retaining it's light feel. So he'd used the translucent fabric to make her some nice underclothes that felt like nothing instead. Misty had almost suffocated him by how tight she'd hugged him, claiming that she loved how unrestricted they'd feel.

Ginzo held back a grimace "I see..."

Kaito suddenly blushed and lowered his gaze "I wasn't sure what to get you..." A pretty sky blue box with a red bow suddenly appeared in his hands "But I thought that this could be nice" He really hoped that Ginzo liked it, it'd been the only thing he could think of "Merry Christmas" It was past midnight so it was technically Christmas. He held out the box.

Oh, so Kaito had probably been preparing gifts... "I'm sure that I'll like it" Ginzo smiled, warmed by how the boy was fidgeting. That meant that he really cared about what he thought. He took the box and carefully opened it, pausing when he saw the contents "This is..." His words trailed off.

"I couldn't make a full cure, and even if I could, I couldn't give it to you yet" The boy wrung his hands together, still not meeting Ginzo's gaze "You're favourite suit got destroyed..." So he'd made a few more durable versions "So I made copies that were lined subtly with Kevlar in a way that makes it unnoticeable..." To protect Ginzo better "You can't wear them yet though..." Kaito lifted his gaze "But I promise that I'll do my best to make sure you can before next Christmas" One Christmas away from his daughter was already one too many.

Ginzo felt the fabric, it felt nice, and he wouldn't have thought that it had Kevlar "I really love them" Kaito's gift wasn't really the clothing, but the promise that said clothing meant "Is your Kid outfit made like this too?" He was curious.

Kaito shook his head "Not exactly, it's more heavy to make up for my own lack of weight" It wasn't perfect, but it did negate a lot of damage that he'd normally take "It's more for shock absorption and cuts, so don't think that since it has Kevlar, you can take a bullet" Ginzo's gift actually weighed the same as normal clothing would.

The inspector's gaze softened "I'll be going after dangerous criminals more often, good thinking" Him getting the cure would mean that Kaitou Kid would be no more... The thought was weird, but at least Kaito would still be around.

The boy stifled a yawn "We should sleep now, Misty said that she was coming over sometime" He paused "Today" He'd almost said 'tomorrow'.

Ginzo nodded, having expected that she'd come on Christmas "Sleep well" He carefully tucked the suit back into the box, making sure that the lid was secure. It was a really great gift, more thoughtful than the previous Christmas gifts Kaito as Kid had gotten him. It made him wonder if him and Aoko would get along, if she knew the real person behind Kid like he did. If Kaito managed to succeed, he couldn't help but wonder about next Christmas. Would he be with Aoko or Kaito? It all depended on the Crow's defeat... He would go back to Aoko, and Kaito... Well he sure as hell wasn't going to let the boy get arrested.

Chapter 80: Chapter 79 Chocolate, Yum

Notes:

Written October 11 2020
Posted on Wattpad November 7 2020
Posted here June 11 2021

Chapter Text

Kaito woke up warm and comfortable, having slept well that night. He was awake but bordering on the edge of sleep, the boy snuggled more into his blanket, enjoying the calm feeling. He allowed himself to doze lightly for an unknown amount of time before a soft knock on the door pulled him out of his half sleep "I'm awake" His words were slightly skewered by a yawn as he got himself out of bed.

"Breakfast is ready" Ginzo stated before leaving the boy to wake up more by himself.

The boy stretched, then left his room, blinking when he caught sight of Misty "You're here early" He hadn't expected her to be there when he woke up.

Misty smiled, ruffling Kaito's hair and earning a small scowl in response "I had nothing else to do today" She ushered the boy towards the table "I also brought something nice for breakfast"

"Something nice?" Kaito tilted his head, it was just pancakes, wait "Oh" He took a seat, eyeing the brown spots on the pancakes curiously "Chocolate chips?" He was pretty sure that's what they were, but it'd been so long since he'd seen chocolate chip pancakes that he wasn't completely sure.

"We figured that it would be a nice change" The inspector explained, it kinda hurt to see the boy so curious about something so simple. He offered a grin "You seem like the kind of person who'd really like chocolate" Maybe it was Kaito's energetic personality, whenever he wasn't upset of course.

"I think I used to like chocolate" Kaito took a curious bite of his food before pausing. Indigo suddenly lit up, and the rest of the pancake swiftly disappeared. Ginzo watched the boy scarf down the meal in shock, he'd never seen the other eat so fast. He shared a look with Misty, she looked like she was trying not to laugh. Kaito paused, fork still in his mouth as he suddenly realized that the two were just watching him "What?" He tilted his head.

Why did Kaito have to be so adorable? Misty smiled "Nothing, your eating pace just surprised me" Maybe she should have added syrup to Kaito's meal, but then that might have masked the chocolatey taste a bit.

"Oh" A blush warmed the boy's cheeks as he forced himself to slow down. He really really liked chocolate it seems.

Ginzo eyed Kaito's plate "I shouldn't have eaten that toast before cooking" He slid two of his untouched pancakes onto Kaito's plate "Here" It was Christmas, and he'd never seen Kaito enjoy eating something so much before. He'd just sneak himself something to snack on later.

Kaito eyed the offering dubiously "Are you sure?" He didn't want to eat the other's food if he was still hungry. Even if it was really tasty.

"I'm sure" The inspector grinned as Kaito dug into the extra food. It was so different compared to when he first met him. When they all finished eating, Kaito insisted to be the one who did the dishes since he had been sleeping while they'd cooked.

When Kaito entered the living room, he paused to eye the presents curiously, there were six of them, a weird number considering that there were only thee of them and he'd already given them their presents "More than two people wrapped these" He noted absentmindedly, there were four different wrapping styles.

Misty snickered "Are you secretly a detective?" She teased. Of course Kaito of all people would take note of such an obscure detail.

"No" Kaito's ears were burning "Just a thief" He liked the comparison, a lot.

"These four are yours" Ginzo handed four of the gifts to Kaito.

Indigo went wide "Four?" That was a lot.

The inspector nodded before looking a bit awkward. He tossed a small red wrapped gift to Misty "It'd feel weird not to get you something" He explained. Misty had helped a lot regarding Kaito, and he'd had a feeling that the woman would be around today.

Slate gleamed "I got you something as well Nakamori-san" She offered him a small green gift "For taking care of Kaito" She then turned towards Kaito "Open your gifts first"

Kaito blinked "Okay" He eyed the gifts for a few moments before choosing the white one with a blue ribbon wrapped around it. He looked at the tag "This one is from Misty" He carefully opened it "This..." He pulled out the two large metal cylinder tins to read their labels "Chocolate milk and hot chocolate powder" Indigo widened with amazement, he'd seen people drinking hot chocolate all the time in the winter! And the chocolate milk mix must be for the summer! He went to move the box away, halting when he noted that there was still some weight to it. There's more?! He pulled out a large bag of something called Hershey's Kisses "More chocolate!" Kaito couldn't help but exclaim, excited since the pancakes had been amazing.

Oh god, that was a lot of sugar for someone who wasn't really used to it "What if he didn't like chocolate?" Ginzo turned to Misty.

She gave a shrug "Then I would have kept it for myself and gotten him something different"

"Thank you" The boy's smile was almost too much as he seemed to hug his gifts to himself "I can't wait to try it all"

Misty returned the smile "I'm glad, now open another one"

Kaito gently put his chocolate to the side before picking up a bronze coloured gift and checking the tag "It's from... Hakuba Danashi" He tilted his head in confusion "But he's already given so much..." He carefully opened the box.

Ginzo watched as the boy's brow furrowed with confusion as Kaito ruffled through a few unknown things. Then shock covered his face before it was replaced with a blush as Kaito promptly put the lid back on.

"This one's a secret" Kaito offered a small smile, cheeks still flushed. His heart was racing, he needed to check the box's contents later to know if he'd been seeing things clearly. It couldn't possibly be what it had looked like right? He hugged the box to himself protectively "I really like the gift"

Chapter 81: Chapter 80 More Presents

Notes:

Written October 16 2020
Posted on Wattpad November 14 2020
Posted here June 18 2021

NEXT UPDATE is on July 2 2021

Chapter Text

Ginzo nodded, not wanting to pry since it couldn't be anything bad "Just two more gifts" It was nice watching the boy both open and accept said gifts. Kaito had learned to accept the kindness of others, and for that, he was glad.

"Yes" Kaito eyed the two gifts that were left, deciding to go for the white and grey checkered one. He reached over and put it in his lap, blinking when he read the tag "It's from Hakuba Saguru" He tilted his head, confusion mixing with excitement. A gift from someone his own age! He was so glad that he'd thought to get the other a gift.

It had also surprised Ginzo when Danashi had handed over the gifts, he hadn't actually thought that Saguru would get Kaito a gift. The two had barely even talked. Though Kaito did have a way with getting people to like him.

Misty smiled "Staring at it won't do anything" She teased, curious to know what the gift's contents were.

"I know that" Kaito blushed from the teasing. The boy then carefully opened the gift, pausing once more when he spotted nothing but paper inside. Said paper was laminated, most likely for extra protection. He made a confused sound in the back of his throat, taking out the package and flipping through it. After a few moments, he let out a small laugh "Oh my god, I totally forgot about this"

Ginzo blinked, leaning over to view some sheets "I have no idea what that is" There were too many scientific terms for him to even attempt to understand.

Kaito smiled, indigo soft "It's blueprints and theories for me to make a really high tech false eye" He touched his eye patch "From what little I've already read, I think that it'll be really cool" He'd totally forgotten that Saguru had been working on this for him.

"That's really great of him" Misty ruffled his hair "Though it's a shame since you look adorable with an eye patch" She couldn't help the snicker that escaped her at Kaito's pout.

"I don't want to be adorable" He wasn't a little kid, even though he looked like one. He'll catch up and properly look his age.

Slate gleamed "Then it makes you look fierce" A complete and total lie, she couldn't imagine Kaito growing up to have a fierce face.

"Lying doesn't make it any better" Kaito huffed, still pouting.

The inspector stifled a chuckle of his own "Maybe you'll be less cute in a few years"

Kaito shot Ginzo a betrayed look, even the inspector thought he was cute? "I'm going to open my last gift" He wanted to change the subject "This one is probably from Keibu" He breathed as he picked up the green box. It felt somewhat heavy, more so than the other boxes. He opened it to reveal two very big books, he took them out and read the titles, the first was The Complete Collections of Arsene Lupin, and the second was The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collections.

Ginzo smiled at the way Kaito was eyeing the Sherlock Holmes book, he knew that Kaito was fond of mystery stories but ironically said books weren't part of his library "I think that the other book will interest you just as much" He snickered, guessing that Kaito was probably unaware of who Arsene Lupin was. It wasn't like Sherlock Holmes, not everyone knew of it.

The boy blushed, hugging the second book to his chest as he grabbed the first one, reading the back of it. Kaito froze, indigo wide "Keibu" A small giggle slipped past his lips "I can't believe it" He was grinning, Ginzo had gotten him a book about a thief! "Misty look!" He offered the book.

"Oh my god" She didn't bother to even try to stifle her giggles after reading the back "I wasn't expecting that"

"I figured that you'd like it" And even if it turned out to be a bad book, the novelty of it was enough. Giving Kaito a book about a thief had seemed like a good idea. He'd come across it when looking up the right Sherlock Holmes books. There were so many versions and copies of it, it had been difficult to make sure that he'd gotten the right one.

"I do" Indigo was bright as Kaito hugged both books to his chest "I like them both a lot" They'd fit in nicely with his crime books. And these ones were new, something rare for him when it came to books "I can't wait to read them" He then eyed the two of them "Now all that's left is your gifts to each other"

"I'll go first" Misty opened her box, giggling when she saw its contents "I guess it's obvious that I like red lipstick" She held up the four sticks, it was a really nice brand "There's no such thing as too much when it comes to this. Thank you" She was always wearing it, so she tended to run out of it a lot.

"I couldn't think of anything else" Ginzo admitted, rubbing his head.

Slate softened "It's great" She wouldn't need to buy any for a good while now "Now it's your turn"

Ginzo nodded, opening his gift. It was a silvery key chain with a four leaf clover at the end, though instead of green, the leaves were a nice purple. The clover was about 2 and a half inches in diameter.

"Oh" Kaito scooted closer to Ginzo "It's real amethyst"

"It's just something to look at" Misty smiled, her gaze subtly turning towards Kaito "For good memories" She was aware that the inspector was worried about Kaito's future. The thing also opened and had something inside, but she didn't want Kaito to see inside it. The boy would become flustered if he was the pictures  she'd secretly taken of him inside it. It would be a physical memory.

The key chain made him think of Kaito, with it being both a clover, a gem, and purple "It's really nice" It wasn't something he'd normally get himself. He ran his fingers along it, almost jumping when it suddenly clicked open.

Kaito squeaked "Why are there pictures of me inside it?!" His face was burning.

Chapter 82: Chapter 81 Holiday Fun

Notes:

Written October 28 2020
Posted on Wattpad November 21 2020
Posted here July 2 2021

Chapter Text

Misty grinned "Because you're precious, and I highly doubt that many pictures of you exist" Pictures of Kaito as Kid, most definitely, but pictures of Kaito as himself? Those were rare.

"When did you even take these?" Kaito was blushing as he looked at a picture of himself smiling, not looking at the camera. He'd still had both eyes when the picture had been taken, which was kinda surprising.

Ginzo smirked at how embarrassed Kaito was, the pictures would definitely be put into his photo album once everything was handled. They'd go into the one where he put pictures of Aoko "How ironic. The person behind Kaitou Kid, is camera shy"He teased, knowing that the boy had a perfectly good reason for being camera shy. A result of growing up with danger lurking near most likely.

"Okay, now that presents are done, let's watch some Christmas movies" Slate gleamed as Misty pulled out a few movies, brandishing them proudly.

Kaito cocked his head to the side, confused "What's Home Alone?" He didn't remember watching any Christmas movies before. Even when his parents had been around, they'd always taken advantage of how energetic the holiday season was to set things up for future escapes. With so many people bustling around, it was scarily easy to get around unnoticed.

The inspector let out a half laugh, half sigh, a grin tugging at his lips as he buried his face in his hands "It's a movie series that you'll definitely like" He hadn't enjoyed the movies much since they'd reminded him a bit about Kid heists. Though now that things were different, he'd probably be able to enjoy them without getting angry or annoyed.

"Oh?" The boy eyed the other curiously, intrigued by Ginzo's reaction. Just what sort of movie was this thing called Home Alone?

Misty giggled "I picked them out especially for you" While it wasn't magic, it involved pranking and taking down criminals. Kaito was sure to appreciate the creativity involved.

With that, the three of them huddled together on the couch, with Kaito in the middle. Popcorn, pop and juice was brought out, courtesy of Misty. The juice was for Kaito since the poor kid had made a funny face that one time she'd given him a pop before asking if it'd been expired. Kaito had still finished it off, but had looked a bit uncomfortable afterwards. Apparently growing up without pop had made carbonated drinks too much for Kaito to handle.

Hours passed enjoyably, filled with laughter and snickers. Sometime around noon they'd paused to order a pizza, but otherwise they spent the day watching Christmas movies. Ginzo and Misty shared a look before glancing at Kaito, the boy had fallen asleep around an hour ago and was snuggling up against the inspector.

"I can't believe he exhausted himself so soon" Misty stated in awe, voice low as Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer played in the background "I guess he's not used to these sorts of activities"

Ginzo nodded in agreement "I've never seen him smile so much in such a short period of time" Kaito had been acting purely his age, maybe even a bit younger, it'd been great.

Slate gleamed "I snuck a few more pictures of him" How could she not? She then smiled, observing the positions of the two males "Since you're trapped, I'll start heating up the turkey" She'd cooked one, separated the meat, then brought said meat over and placed it in the fridge "I think Kaito will wake up if you try to get up" Ginzo had prepared mashed potatoes and stuffing earlier without Kaito's knowledge, which would have been kinda difficult if the other hadn't disappeared a lot these past few days.

"Fine" He didn't doubt her words. Ginzo glanced down at the sleeping boy fondly, he couldn't help but wonder how things would be if there was no longer any danger looming above their heads. It hurt that he wasn't able to see Aoko this Christmas, but at the same time he didn't scorn what had happened to himself. He could trust that Aoko would be okay in the hands of whoever was caring for her, but he couldn't say the same for Kaito if he hadn't been with him these past months. The boy would have died, and then he would have never been able to meet the person who was Kaito. So he was fine spending this one Christmas with Kaito, he viewed the boy like he did Aoko. Was it possible to spend Christmas with both of his children next year?

Eventually the food smells brought Kaito out of his sleep, mouth watering "How long have I been asleep?" He inquired, pink tinting his cheeks as he attempted to subtly wipe away his drool. Oh god he'd drooled on Ginzo, that was embarrassing! He'd even left a drool mark... "It takes hours to make a turkey" He recognized the smell from the other houses at this time of year.

Not wanting to embarrass Kaito any further, Ginzo didn't comment about the drool "Only a few hours, the turkey was already cooked before it got here" His legs felt numb from the other's weight.

Kaito shifted so that he was no longer against Ginzo "Is there anything I can do to help?"

"All the prep was done before today" Ginzo smirked "We wanted you to not do any work today" To spend the day as the child he should have been.

"Oh" Kaito pouted a bit "Then I'm going to do the clean up" He wouldn't let them get away with making today so great, not without repaying them.

Seeing the determination in Kaito's gaze Ginzo sighed "Okay, you can do that" At least the more difficult tasks had been completed while the other had been unaware.

Kaito smiled "Thanks" He then tilted his head a big "I also now understand your reaction to the Home Alone movies" The main character had been tricky and creative. He probably would have done a few of those things during a heist. Though not all, many of them had the potential to actually be quite dangerous. Unlike the character, he cared about his opponent's health.

Chapter 83: Chapter 82 Talking and Preparation

Notes:

Written November 14 2020
Posted on Wattpad December 12 2020
Posted here July 9 2021

Chapter Text

With Christmas over, Kaito set himself with determination as he used the remaining time before his heist to actually plan it. The busyness helped to keep his thoughts more light. Thankfully, unlike the last time the Mermaid's Heart was in Japan, it was actually being displayed in Tokyo instead of Osaka. The lack of travel time required to get to the site was a blessing, it gave him more time to form a plan that would best ensure his own safety.

To be honest, even though he hated stealing, Kaito couldn't help but feel excited at the prospect of another heist. He'd been cooped up for way too long, while comfortable, he was the sort of person that liked to be active. Sitting on his butt all day wasn't something that he could do for too long.

It was also a great relief to learn that the sapphire wasn't going to be displayed in a fish themed room, instead the room was adorned with pretty coral, shells, and starfish decorations. Apparently just having fish displays wasn't special enough, it was odd, but Kaito was not going to argue against his good luck.

"Are you sure that you want to come too?" Kaito inquired as he began to make sure his hang glider was in tiptop shape "I've already checked the place, and there's actually no f-" He winced "No horrible decorations" Wow, he couldn't say 'fish', that was kinda disappointing, if not a little sad. He needed to work on that, they lived in Japan.

"I might as well" Ginzo shrugged "There's not many things I can go out and do for fun" And it wouldn't hurt to be cautious, just in case something bad happened. He was planning to bring one of the shorter lasting antidotes and a change of clothes too. The clothes were just as important.

"Okay" The boy saw no reason to argue, the museum was just a few streets away from where their apartment was. The same one that had displayed the Blue Birthday. He liked that museum, it often displayed just the right kind of gem he was looking for "Are you going to be in the crowd or on the sidelines?"

"The sidelines" The inspector affirmed "There's no way that I'll risk getting myself trampled by all your crazy fans"

Kaito snickered "My Kid persona just has a way with making people go crazy" He gave the other a cheeky grin "I seem to recall that you've done some pretty crazy stunts trying to capture me" Having the other chase him had been fun, he almost missed it.

Ginzo grimaced, remembering how he'd climbed a pole just so that he could ambush the other. He had actually caught the other off guard that night, but he'd lost his balance and had to be caught by the thief in the end. It hadn't been one of his greater moments "In my defence, trying to capture you normally obviously wasn't going to work" He'd realized that after a few dozen heists.

The boy smiled "That's true" He pulled out a bottle and began to spread a clear liquid over the hang glider's movable metal joints. It was a custom made concoction since he'd gotten tired of accidentally staining his glider during maintenance. Oil was a pain to deal with, especially if the clothing was supposed to be perfectly white "You've actually given me a run for my money quite a few times"

The praise made Ginzo happy, but at the same time made him feel a bit guilty. Back then, he hadn't known that capture would be deadly for the other "I had to think outside the box, it's the only reason why I never really got replaced" There had been upstarts trying to take his job, but they'd all failed horribly. It also helped that the thief had acknowledged his skill after each and every failure that the upstarts had. Not to mention that the pranks had also been mean, long lasting itching powder still sounded horrible to deal with.

Kaito nodded "When this is all over, you and the rest of the Kid task force shouldn't have any difficulty going after most criminals" They were used to using their heads, they were all highly skilled, it just didn't seem obvious. Not when they were being compared to Kaitou Kid "You'll all find that your skills exceed that of many of your coworkers' talents" Indigo gleamed "Especially if you're part of a manhunt"

The next few hours were filled with idle chatter as the inspector watched Kaito check over his tools and take inventory on what he was planning to use, and some stuff he might need or want to use. It was interesting to actually see the other go over everything, double and triple checking everything that had moving parts. The carefulness in which Kaito did so was also very reassuring, it showed that he was valuing his own safety.

Kaito stood up, brushing off his knees "Well..." Kaito had just finished stuffing his Kid outfit. Even though he'd watched him do it, he still didn't have a single clue how so many things could possibly fit in it "I think all of my equipment is ready to use, now all I have to do is go check to make sure that some of my previous prep hasn't been tampered with. Once a flock of pigeons had taken over a pulley mechanism, ruining it with their poop. That had ended up with him having a nasty fall and a sprained foot. The boy met Ginzo's gaze "I won't be back until I have the gem" The heist was now in a few hours, it wouldn't make sense to come back, only to leave a bit later.

Ginzo smirked "I'll see you tonight then, be safe"

Indigo softened "I'll do my best" Getting himself hurt would both be painful, and hurt Ginzo as well. With that, Kaito hopped out the window, he'd change into his Kid clothes when it was nearing the heist time.

The inspector shook his head in exasperation, and here he'd thought that Kaito had been getting better at using the door instead of the window.

Chapter 84: Chapter 83 Talking and Preparation

Notes:

Written November 14 2020
Posted on Wattpad December 12 2020
Posted here July 16 2021

Chapter Text

With Christmas over, Kaito set himself with determination as he used the remaining time before his heist to actually plan it. The busyness helped to keep his thoughts more light. Thankfully, unlike the last time the Mermaid's Heart was in Japan, it was actually being displayed in Tokyo instead of Osaka. The lack of travel time required to get to the site was a blessing, it gave him more time to form a plan that would best ensure his own safety.

To be honest, even though he hated stealing, Kaito couldn't help but feel excited at the prospect of another heist. He'd been cooped up for way too long, while comfortable, he was the sort of person that liked to be active. Sitting on his butt all day wasn't something that he could do for too long.

It was also a great relief to learn that the sapphire wasn't going to be displayed in a fish themed room, instead the room was adorned with pretty coral, shells, and starfish decorations. Apparently just having fish displays wasn't special enough, it was odd, but Kaito was not going to argue against his good luck.

"Are you sure that you want to come too?" Kaito inquired as he began to make sure his hang glider was in tiptop shape "I've already checked the place, and there's actually no f-" He winced "No horrible decorations" Wow, he couldn't say 'fish', that was kinda disappointing, if not a little sad. He needed to work on that, they lived in Japan.

"I might as well" Ginzo shrugged "There's not many things I can go out and do for fun" And it wouldn't hurt to be cautious, just in case something bad happened. He was planning to bring one of the shorter lasting antidotes and a change of clothes too. The clothes were just as important.

"Okay" The boy saw no reason to argue, the museum was just a few streets away from where their apartment was. The same one that had displayed the Blue Birthday. He liked that museum, it often displayed just the right kind of gem he was looking for "Are you going to be in the crowd or on the sidelines?"

"The sidelines" The inspector affirmed "There's no way that I'll risk getting myself trampled by all your crazy fans"

Kaito snickered "My Kid persona just has a way with making people go crazy" He gave the other a cheeky grin "I seem to recall that you've done some pretty crazy stunts trying to capture me" Having the other chase him had been fun, he almost missed it.

Ginzo grimaced, remembering how he'd climbed a pole just so that he could ambush the other. He had actually caught the other off guard that night, but he'd lost his balance and had to be caught by the thief in the end. It hadn't been one of his greater moments "In my defence, trying to capture you normally obviously wasn't going to work" He'd realized that after a few dozen heists.

The boy smiled "That's true" He pulled out a bottle and began to spread a clear liquid over the hang glider's movable metal joints. It was a custom made concoction since he'd gotten tired of accidentally staining his glider during maintenance. Oil was a pain to deal with, especially if the clothing was supposed to be perfectly white "You've actually given me a run for my money quite a few times"

The praise made Ginzo happy, but at the same time made him feel a bit guilty. Back then, he hadn't known that capture would be deadly for the other "I had to think outside the box, it's the only reason why I never really got replaced" There had been upstarts trying to take his job, but they'd all failed horribly. It also helped that the thief had acknowledged his skill after each and every failure that the upstarts had. Not to mention that the pranks had also been mean, long lasting itching powder still sounded horrible to deal with.

Kaito nodded "When this is all over, you and the rest of the Kid task force shouldn't have any difficulty going after most criminals" They were used to using their heads, they were all highly skilled, it just didn't seem obvious. Not when they were being compared to Kaitou Kid "You'll all find that your skills exceed that of many of your coworkers' talents" Indigo gleamed "Especially if you're part of a manhunt"

The next few hours were filled with idle chatter as the inspector watched Kaito check over his tools and take inventory on what he was planning to use, and some stuff he might need or want to use. It was interesting to actually see the other go over everything, double and triple checking everything that had moving parts. The carefulness in which Kaito did so was also very reassuring, it showed that he was valuing his own safety.

Kaito stood up, brushing off his knees "Well..." Kaito had just finished stuffing his Kid outfit. Even though he'd watched him do it, he still didn't have a single clue how so many things could possibly fit in it "I think all of my equipment is ready to use, now all I have to do is go check to make sure that some of my previous prep hasn't been tampered with. Once a flock of pigeons had taken over a pulley mechanism, ruining it with their poop. That had ended up with him having a nasty fall and a sprained foot. The boy met Ginzo's gaze "I won't be back until I have the gem" The heist was now in a few hours, it wouldn't make sense to come back, only to leave a bit later.

Ginzo smirked "I'll see you tonight then, be safe"

Indigo softened "I'll do my best" Getting himself hurt would both be painful, and hurt Ginzo as well. With that, Kaito hopped out the window, he'd change into his Kid clothes when it was nearing the heist time.

The inspector shook his head in exasperation, and here he'd thought that Kaito had been getting better at using the door instead of the window.

Chapter 85: Chapter 84 Mermaid's Heart

Notes:

Written November 24 2020
Posted on Wattpad December 19 2020
Posted here July 23 2021

NEXT UPDATE is August 6 2021

Chapter Text

Kid curiously peered through the vents, the Mermaid's heart within sight. He'd already sent the task force on a merry chase, using well timed flashes of white cloth around select corners. To everyone besides himself, the gem had already been stolen. Technically, the thief couldn't even see the gem, but unlike the rest of them, he knew it was still in it's display. Setting up the illusion of an empty display case had been easy thanks to some special mirrors he'd made. He called them mirrors, but they were actually more like glass, one could see through the sides, but the gem had been refracted out of visible existence. Well, the setup had been easy, but acquiring the right materials was a different story.

Since there was no longer anybody guarding the room, the thief silently slipped from the vents, landing next to the display case with practised ease. He'd already deactivated the sensors during the setup, so snatching up both the case glass and gem was an easy task. The case folded neatly like a cardboard box would. It had been hard to make, so he wasn't going to abandon it. Not to mention leaving it behind could ruin the mystery. He might want to use the trick again one day.

With the main objective complete, it was now time to leave. The task force could only be fooled by teasing glimpses of his cape for so long after all. It was best not to take unnecessary risks. Kid left the museum as silently as he arrived, once he felt he was a safe distance away, hidden in the luxurious garden at it's back, he took out the gem.

He might as well check now and save himself the trip returning it "Oi! You're Kaitou Kid!" The thief's eyes widened, why was a gardener here? It was nighttime. The way the middle aged male was dressed made it so he couldn't possibly be one of the guards. He was covered in dirt and had some gardening tools poking out of his pockets.

Kid grinned, face veiled by the shadows of nearby trees "I'll make sure not to bother you too much" He uncurled his fingers, allowing the moonlight to wash over the gem.

The gardener swore "I won't let you steal from this nice place!" The man tackled him, just as a blue light filled the area.

Now blinded, the thief prioritized his escape over retrieving the gem that he'd foolishly let go of. He hadn't expected the gardener to attack him, usually the extra staff liked him. His escape was easy, all that was needed was for him to scramble away, the guy hadn't even tried to cling to him for some reason.

Kid blinked, and kept blinking in an attempt to clear his vision. It worked "F-!" Veiled indigo widened with fear, a scream catching in his throat. The gardener writhing on the ground, clawing at his own throat, mouth wide as he seemed to struggle to breathe. Kaito was frozen, petrified, the man's legs had been replaced by a brown scaly tail. He wanted to help, the man was clearly suffering, but his limbs just wouldn't move.

"Kid!" Kaito whirled around, the movement choppy, stilted.

"Keibu" Kaito sank to his knees, trembling "Help him?" He pointed a shaky finger where he knew the gardener was without looking at said person.

Ginzo swore, the fuck?! He'd been drawn in by the light, expecting to see a flashy trick, not a person who looked like he was half fish! The gasping and wheezing noises shook the inspector out of his shock "Shit" He ran over, cursing again when he spotted gills on the guy's neck, the guy was suffocating, maybe?

Since Kaito wasn't in immediate danger, he focused his attention on the man. He'd passed a pond not too far away, but he was too small to carry the guy, he doubted Kaito could, even with his extended limbs. The phobia was too fresh for that. He needed to use the temporary antidote. Ginzo easily retrieved it from his pocket, but paused a moment before popping it in his mouth then Kaito let out an extra fearful gasp. The inspector followed the other's gaze just in time to see the guy melt, leaving nothing behind but a pile of bubbles and the gem.

Shocked, Ginzo pocked the pill before slowly making his way over towards Kaito "We need to go" If the light attracted himself, then it was sure to bring in others. He had no idea what had just happened, but there wasn't time to look into it too deeply just yet.

Indigo blinked, focusing in on the inspector. Ginzo was here, it would be okay "'Kay" He felt a bit numb, but was that from fear, or watching someone die? They had died right? Kaito's eyes burned "Magical gems are real" Now he couldn't possibly give up on Pandora, what if the wrong person got a hold of it? This wasn't a silly story, it could actually exist!

"Yes" The inspector began to gently push the other deeper into the shadows, to safety "Shocking, but we really need to go" God, that was a terrifying thought. What if the gem had affected Kaito instead of that man?

Kaito suddenly stopped "Wait" A shiver ran down his spine "We can't leave the gem" It was dangerous.

Ginzo scowled "You're not touching it!" He tightened his grip on the other's arm. He would not let whatever that was happen to Kaito.

"But" Kaito bit his lip "Maybe my gloves kept me safe" The gem hadn't touched his skin.

"I still don't want to risk it" Ginzo shook his head "You can fetch it later during the day" The gem was small, and it wasn't likely for it to be found in the grass.

"I sensed a strong power, judging by your conversation, it was that gem" Both males froze at the unknown voice. They turned around to see a young girl holding the gem. Her red hair and eyes made her seem like the kind of person who was hard to forget.

Fearful, Kaito yanked himself out of Ginzo's hold "That's dangerous!"

Chapter 86: Chapter 85 Devil's Deal

Notes:

Written December 4 2020
Posted on Wattpad January 2 2021
Posted here August 6 2021

Chapter Text

The girl smirked, easily dodging Kaito's clumsy grab at the jewel "The gem's collected power has already been used" She then eyed Kaito with a curiosity than made Ginzo feel uneasy "If I hadn't been in the vicinity, I would have never noticed the aura" Kaitou Kid, the man who was surprisingly the same age as herself, piqued  her interest. Her gaze slid towards the other male, his energy didn't match with his form. Red gleamed, it seems like she's found some interesting people.

Wary of how the girl seemed so calm, Ginzo gently pulled Kaito closer to himself, away from the girl "What are you even talking about?" He bit out, keeping an eye out for any other intruders.

"I go by Koizumi Akako, and I'm a red witch" Akako stated "I sensed two sources of magic, so I decided to investigate"

Kaito blinked, a witch. Wow, who would have thought that they'd meet one on the same day they realized that magic gems did in fact exist? The obscurity of the situation was enough to snap him out of his shock "Wait" He tilted his head "Two?" Nervousness pricked at his senses, was there another magic gem nearby? What if it was just as dangerous as the Mermaid's Heart?

Ginzo's gaze narrowed, more alarmed at the answer. The so called witch had given Kaito a look that he didn't like "So? Go investigate the other gem, leave us out of it"

"I'm afraid not" Akako purred, not showing her surprise when neither of them reacted to her charm spell "Kaitou Kid" Kaito stiffened at the address "I would like to make a deal with you"

"I'm pretty sure that making deals with witches isn't recommended" Kaito replied with a polite bow, not wanting to anger a witch.

"Smart" Akako nodded her approval "But if you don't accept, I'll have to make you submit or kill you" The one known as Kaitou Kid had the potential to become a threat, the chance was slim, but it existed. A ring of fire suddenly surrounded them, blocking their escape, trapping them with her "So would you reconsider?" Her smirk darkened "It would be easy to raise the heat to more dangerous levels" As it was, it was just lingering at near uncomfortable levels. For them of course, she was fine.

Oh, veiled indigos widened, this girl was really dangerous. Kaito inwardly grimaced, he needed to buy enough time to get out of this "I guess it wouldn't hurt to at least hear what you have to say"

Ginzo frowned, realizing what Kaito was trying to do. He just couldn't see a way out without at least getting burned.

Akako smiled, looking deceptively friendly "You have a power, one that's extremely hard to detect" A power that she wasn't going to allow grow, or at least not without being stunted first. She ignored the incredulous look the two of them gave her and continued "You can release the magic of items that have stored it"

"So it was my fault that he died..." Kaito's gaze was downcast, hands clenched.

"The gem would probably still have had a few more decades before becoming primed for release" The witch shrugged "You just made it happen sooner" She didn't care about pointless deaths that didn't affect her.

Kaito bit his lip "Oh" He didn't know how to feel about that.

"I am still growing in power, I want you to seek out magical gems, and give them to me. I will absorb what magic essence I can, and seal what I can't take in" She could go after Kid's power, but it wasn't even properly active.

"Why the hell would he give you more power?!" Ginzo argued, it would be stupid to empower someone so dangerous.

"I second that" Kaito nodded, what would someone like her do with Pandora? It was too scary to even think about.

"I won't gain the abilities of any magic gems, just some of the magic strength" She cocked a brow "I'll also not take whatever gem it is that you're after" Red eyes gleamed "To make things better for the two of you, I'll even enhance Kid's ability so that he's able to sense magical items" In return for destroying every other bit of magical potential the other may have "Oh, and I guess that I'll also promise not to harm you or your loved ones so long as the deal is kept"

Oh, Ginzo did not like the obvious curiosity on Kaito's face "Kid" He warned.

Kaito frowned at the warning before turning towards the witch "What happens when I find what I'm looking for? I won't have any reason to keep stealing" He then grimaced "I also can't have you damage any gems or actually keep them" He didn't want Kaitou Kid to become a real thief.

"I'll take a gamble and hope that you don't find your target anytime soon" Akako paused "Your part will be complete after you find what you want" She wouldn't lose anything with this, and if he does find his target next, then at least she would have already crippled the other's magic. She couldn't sense magic from items unfamiliar to herself yet, so using Kaitou Kid could work.

The thief was silent for a few moments "Fine, I accept" He hadn't managed to figure a way out of the magical fire anyways. He suddenly winced, letting out a pained whine as he clutched his chest. Cold sweat already coated him.

"What did you do?!" Ginzo's words were a snarl as he watched Kaito sink to his knees, breathing heavily.

Akako smirked "I just sealed our contract, don't worry, he should be mostly fine afterwards"

"Mostly?!" That didn't sound good.

"His magic no longer has the potential to develop. Sensing magical items will be the only thing he'll be able to do" Akako teased, only a tiny sliver of regret tugging at her. She had done what was right and neutralized the threat, Kid was lucky that she didn't know how to make his true abilities bloom enough for her to steal. Death by magic loss was never a pleasant thing.

"It's fine" Kaito breathed, still in pain "I can't mourn something that I never knew I had" He didn't want Ginzo to anger the witch.

Chapter 87: Chapter 86

Notes:

Written December 13 2020
Posted on Wattpad January 9 2021
Posted here August 13 2021

Chapter Text

Ginzo scowled, worry almost overwhelming him as he placed a cool cloth on Kaito's head, they'd barely made it back to their apartment before the other had lost consciousness. Now Kaito was burning up, heat practically radiating off of the other, causing a sheen of sweat to wet the boy's brow as his body trembled.

If it weren't for Akako's parting words telling them to expect Kaito to become ill, he would have already taken the other to the hospital. The girl's face had been full of smug amusement as she'd told them that human medicine wouldn't help, that Kaito would most likely be fine after suffering through the magic changes within himself.

The heat coming from Kaito was abnormal, the boy had actually single-handedly raised the room's temperature to at least 30 degrees. It was terrifying, and had made it easy for him to decide that he hated real magic. Sure that was a drastic thought, but it was hard not to dislike it when he's only ever seen it do harm. Magic was dangerous, and they had no way to counter it. The inspector's fists clenched, Kaito was now apparently going to be dealing with magical gems on a more frequent basis now. This was a horrible start to the new year.

When Kaito woke, he woke up freezing. He jolted, face scrunched up in a grimace as he went to move away from the cold as his blurry sight began to clear up. He blinked, confusion hitting him as he realized where he was. He was in the bathtub, which was filled with ice. No wonder he was so cold. Unable to keep his teeth from physically chattering, Kaito scrambled out of the tub, immediately wrapping a fluffy towel around himself. It didn't help much with how chilled to the bone he felt, but at least it made him feel dry. Indigo snapped towards the bathroom door as it opened, revealing Ginzo. The inspector was carrying a large bag of ice.

"Oh" Relief filled Ginzo at the sight of Kaito bundled up in the towel "I guess this isn't needed anymore" He could see that the ice hadn't melted like it had the last few times he'd come in to refill the tub.

Trembling, but still confused, Kaito watched the other toss the bag into the tub "I have no idea what happened after we got back" He breathed, doing his best to reign in his shivering.

Ginzo nodded, he'd been expecting that to be the case "Your body began to produce inhuman amounts of heat" He took out a cup from the cabinet and filled it with water "I figured that it'd be better for you to wake up cold than feeling both disgusting and more dehydrated than you're probably feeling" He offered the cup, which Kaito took after securing the large towel around himself with one hand "You were sweating a lot, and actually kept melting the ice" He glanced towards the tub "Before, the ice would have melted by the time I got back"

Kaito drank the water, then shuffled over towards the sink to refill his cup "Thanks" He offered a smile "My head would probably hurt worse if you hadn't helped" Dehydration wasn't something that he was unfamiliar with. He really appreciated the other's effort to help.

"I'll go fetch you some warmer clothes" He actually hadn't expected Kaito to recover so soon, nor so quickly. He'd thought that the heat would gradually tone down, not suddenly stop.

"'Kay" The boy watched the other leave, content to just stay wrapped up in the towel. It had already started to retain a bit of warmth, but he guessed changing now would be better than getting warm then having to change into cold clothes.

Ginzo returned quickly with his clothes, which included a sweater "It's noon, so I'll make something quick if you're hungry" He turned away to give the boy some privacy. He normally would have left, but he wanted to make sure that Kaito wouldn't fall. The trembling could have been from more than just how cold he was after all.

Feeling nice and snug in the fluffy pyjama pants and sweater, Kaito smiled "I'm just a little hungry" His clothes were warm, they'd definitely been placed near the heaters. The inspector was so kind "But I'd like to make lunch instead, or at least help"

Eyeing Kaito, Ginzo nodded "You can help" The boy looked surprisingly steady and he knew the other well enough by now to know that it'd make him feel better if he helped "How do you feel about chicken and vegetable soup and grilled cheese?" Both were warm foods that should help the other warm up.

"That sounds good" Kaito agreed, it'll be done faster than usual with both of them cutting the ingredients. The two of them headed towards the kitchen.

After they'd gotten everything out and were situated for their specific tasks, Ginzo spoke "Do you feel anything odd besides the expected?" He inquired, both curious and concerned.

Kaito paused in cutting the celery "I'm not sure, it almost feels like something has been warped? Torn then bandaged?" He frowned "It's hard to tell if I'm imagining it or not" He gave a small shrug "I'll get used to it, and it's not like I had a choice or anything" He offered a reassuring smile "I'm not in any pain" He continued his task.

Ginzo nodded, accepting the answer "It's strange to think that you actually had something magical about you but neither of us noticed it" It was still hard to wrap his head around the concept of real magic, even after facing it.

"At least we know that my skills are real since my magic hadn't really been released" Kaito grimaced "Imagine if my talents had been caused by magic, we'd be screwed" He moved on to cutting up some carrots.

"That's a good thing" Ginzo agreed, running an onion under some water before cutting into it "I just wish that the girl didn't mess with you" She'd been unusually cruel for someone so young, it was actually concerning. They were going to have to deal with her again too.

Chapter 88: Chapter 87

Notes:

Written December 19 2020
Posted on Wattpad January 16 2021
Posted here August 20 2021

NEXT UPDATE is on September 3 2021

Chapter Text

After they finished both eating and cleaning up, Ginzo made another comment about not liking Akako. Kaito offered a small shrug in response "We can't change what's already happened" He crossed his arms, tilting his head in thought "I'm actually thinking about going after another gem soon" While his last one hadn't had great results, he'd escaped relatively unharmed. There weren't any lingering pains or heat from Akako's magic, so he counted himself as healthy.

Ginzo eyed Kaito as if he were an idiot "Really?" Hadn't he just recovered? It seemed stupid for him to go out so soon.

The boy rolled his eyes, having expected the other's reaction to be negative "I feel fine now, and I want to hurry up and find Pandora" The potential candidates have now become significantly more easy to pick out "I didn't say that I wanted to do another heist"

"You want to take gems without a heist?" To be honest, the inspector was a bit shocked. Kaito had been so adamant about holding heists before.

Kaito nodded "Yeah" His gaze turned downcast "Magic is dangerous as we've just discovered, so I want all magical gem thefts to be kept a secret" That would lower the potential casualty rate "I'll still do normal heists in order to keep the Crow's attention, but the only thing at stake would be a pretty rock" And his life, but there wasn't anything that could be done about that without risking more killings.

"That makes sense" Ginzo frowned, eyeing the other "But what if a magic gem kills you?" Like that gardener.

Indigo softened at the other's concern "I'll be able to tell the danger level" At Ginzo's confused look he shrugged "I don't know how to explain, but I know that I'm right" He grimaced "Magic is weird, I prefer my own tricks" And even then he wasn't a big fan of them.

"And what's to stop you from going after the ones that are too dangerous?" The inspector wanted to trust Kaito, but the boy's previous track record wasn't the best "I'm sure that Pandora could be considered dangerous" Not everyone would want to be immortal, the concept actually sounded horrible to him.

Kaito grimaced, Ginzo did have a point there "I guess I'll look into the gem's lore more thoroughly?" Surely that would give some sort of hint? The Mermaid's Heart had involved mermaids after all.

"That's still not good enough Kaito" There were so many things that could go wrong if the owners messed with or were mistaken.

"Then I'll see if Akako could help or at least give me some advice" He didn't like it, not at all "Surely she'll help a bit since she'd benefit from it, right?"

Ginzo let out a sigh "That's better than nothing, even though I don't trust her" It's not like they could skip over magical gems. If they did, they might skip Pandora which would mean that Kaito would be stuck stealing magical gems for the rest of his life.

"Okay then" Mind made up, Kaito grinned "I'll head out now and scope out some gems, maybe even grab them if they don't seem dangerous"

The inspector spluttered "You want to head out now?" He'd thought that the other would at least want to wait a day or two "Shouldn't you at least have a nap first?"

Kaito offered a smile "I feel surprisingly refreshed after waking up" It was actually the truth. It was nice to feel good immediately after feeling horrible, normally it took a while until he felt not-terrible again "And the sooner I start, the sooner everything can end" Kaito turned away to go fetch his shoes, not wanting the other to see his face. He didn't want it to end, he actually liked how things were right now.

"I guess..." Ginzo muttered with a frown as he watched Kaito collect a bunch of gear before leaving via the balcony. He let out a sigh before heading towards the couch, turning on the TV. He highly doubted that he'd be able to get anything productive done while Kaito was out going after magic gems. It wasn't even nighttime yet, so he had a long wait ahead of him since Kaito usually took things at night "Wait" Ginzo frowned to himself "How the hell is he even going to contact that witch?" The gems would have to be returned before morning if Kaito wanted to stay discrete. He shook his head, he should just watch TV instead of busy himself worrying about Kaito.

Eventually, even watching TV couldn't keep his attention anymore so the inspector gave up on even trying. Since he doubted that a book would keep him occupied, he pulled out his phone. He might as well update both Misty and Danashi about the most recent happenings. Hopefully neither of them would think that he was messing with them.

The hours passed by more quickly after pulling out his phone, he'd spent a long time reassuring Misty that Kaito was indeed okay. Thankfully Danashi hadn't been as pushy, and had accepted his answers. Though that was probably because he wasn't as close to Kaito as Misty was. Eventually he did manage to persuade Misty into not coming over after Kaito got back, though that was only after he promised to text her if something bad ended up happening to Kaito.

With a sigh put away his phone, it was quite late out so he should probably make himself something to eat, and maybe leave some leftovers in the fridge for Kaito to eat when he got back. He really shouldn't be eating so late considering it was past midnight, but it should be fine if they both end up sleeping in.

A sudden light caught in the corner of his eye "The hell?" He turned towards the source to see Kaito slipping through the window, the boy looked miserable "Did you mess up a paint bomb?" The boy was glowing like that glow in the dark paint he once used.

"No" Kaito walked over to the couch, flopping down beside the inspector "You don't want to know how hard it was to get back here secretly" He sighed "It's temporary" He added.

Chapter 89: Chapter 88 Care, Unease, Realise

Notes:

Written January 2 2021
Posted on Wattpad January 23 2021
Posted here September 3 2021

Chapter Text

Ginzo couldn't help the snort that escaped him at the other's comment, Kaito didn't seem worried or alarmed, just annoyed "How did you even manage to meet up with that girl?" He inquired, not remembering her ever giving them instructions on how to contact her. He turned his gaze away from the boy since Kaito was glowing too brightly to comfortably look at for longer than a few moments.

Kaito grimaced, a shiver running through him "The moment I had safely got away with each gem, I was suddenly transported to a creepy occult room" There had been countless oddly shaped sculls strung and hung about the room, ones that he couldn't identify, and ones that couldn't possibly be from this world. It had been so creepy, especially since they'd been shadowed by blue flamed candles. The witch had even laughed condescendingly at his glowing predicament! Rude.

"That doesn't sound disturbing at all" The inspector sarcastically replied, glad that Kaito at least seemed to be okay.

The boy quickly nodded in agreement "I know!" He tucked his knees to his chest with a pout "She didn't even say anything" Only laugh "She just did some crazy magic, tossed the gems at me, then warped me away" Kaito rested his chin on his knees "I puked each time" Apparently warping was very disorientating. He already hated it.

Ginzo grimaced at that "I would suggest just waiting to eat until after, but then you might end up throwing up stomach acid instead"

Kaito sighed "Yeah, that would probably be worse" He leaned his head back against the couch, frowning "I didn't even get the chance to ask her about how to deal with the dangerous gem I located" Was asking the witch for help truly not an option?

The inspector turned to Kaito with alarm, before promptly grimacing at the brightness. Moments later he blinked in surprise when he suddenly had sunglasses on "You can try asking her next time you go out" He suggested, not bothering to comment on the new item. He was relieved that Kaito hadn't attempted to touch anything he deemed dangerous "What gem was it?"

"Ah, it was the Lupus Morsus" Kaito gave a wry grin "Even the name sounds kinda dangerous"

"... I only understand the wolf part" Ginzo admitted, he wasn't the best with Latin, but some words were hard to not know.

"Understandable" Indigo gleamed "The translation is Wolf Bite, and I am not dealing with wolves on top of creepy and deadly witches" He wasn't that stupid, he at least had some self preservation "Though... " He put a contemplative look on his face "Wouldn't becoming a werewolf be cool?" He couldn't just pass this chance at messing with the other

Horrified at the thought of losing Kaito, Ginzo grabbed his shoulders "No" He gave the boy a small shake "Most stories involving forced changes also say that the person goes mad or is never the same" He resisted the urge to squeeze Kaito in favour of meeting the boy's gaze "I don't want to lose you like that, not after all we've been through together" Kaito was his kid, how could he not be after all this? The only one who could possibly have a claim was Misty.

Oh, Kaito blushed, feeling all warm and fuzzy at how much Ginzo cared while at the same time feeling like an ass. He lowered his gaze away from the other "I'm sorry, I was just joking" He should have known better, the inspector was already high strung with concern for him as it was "I'm not going to intentionally get hit by dangerous magic, I'll do what I can to work around it"

Ginzo let go of the boy, relieved "Sorry for grabbing you, I was just..." Scared "Worried, I don't like all this magic stuff" He couldn't do anything to fight against it.

Kaito shook his head, cheeks still a bit red "It's fine, I knew you were high strung from everything, I shouldn't have attempted such a bad joke" Ginzo hadn't hurt him, just startled him for a brief moment "I know that I now have people that really care for me" It was something that he'd never dared to wish for "But sometimes I forget since it's still so new to me" It was hard since he's been alone for so long, and even before that his parents had been too on edge and busy to show much affection.

The inspector's gaze softened "We should go sleep, we're both tired"

"Okay" Kaito was fine with that "I'm going out again..." He paused to check the time "Tonight" It was past midnight. He offered a soft grin "I guess my schedule will go back to how it was when I was working nights"

Ginzo frowned "You know that you don't have to rush right? Maybe you could go every other day instead of every night?" He didn't want the boy to push himself too hard "Wouldn't being hit by too much different kinds of magic be bad for you?" Even if none of it was really dangerous.

"Keibu" Kaito's voice was soft as his hands fiddled together. The look in his eye was sad "Every day I rest, is another day that you're separated from your daughter" His shoulders slumped, he didn't want Ginzo to be able to go back, he wanted the other to stay with him "I promised that I'd get the two of you together again, so I've really gotta work hard" It felt difficult to smile, but he did so anyways.

The inspector was silent as he took in Kaito's words, the boy was right. He eyed the boy, Kaito was visibly sad, he was failing at his attempt to look happy. That made Ginzo's chest hurt, Kaito was upset enough that even his acting skills couldn't cover it up "You don't want to help" He breathed in realization. Kaito was acting weird before too.

Kaito froze, face scrunching up in confusion "Of course I want to help you, I'm not going to abandon you"

Ginzo smiled "I know that, but I meant that you don't want what comes after everything is done" Or what he thinks will happen. The inspector ruffled the frozen boy's hair "You're my kid too, not just Aoko" Kaito often mentioned getting him and Aoko together, but where would that leave him?

Chapter 90: Chapter 89

Notes:

Written January 9 2021
Posted on Wattpad February 6 2021
Posted here September 10 2021

Chapter Text

The inspector saw him like that? Kaito's eye was wide as he stared into the other's face, Ginzo's expression was kind, honest. Something unknown curled up in Kaito's chest, he didn't like the feeling, didn't want it. He did. The boy quickly lowered his gaze, taking a step back from Ginzo "I'm going to stay over at Misty's tonight" Kaito blurted out, words fast "Bye" He fled out the window.

"Fuck" Ginzo cursed, knowing that he wouldn't be able to catch up with the other. If Kaito could get around while flaunting himself in a white suit, glowing skin wouldn't be too much of an issue. He hadn't expected the boy to shut him out so fast. The inspector sighed, pulling out his phone to send Misty a message, telling her what had happened. Hopefully the woman would be able to help Kaito sort out his thoughts or at least comfort the boy. He then noted that Kaito's outdoor clothes were still here, double fuck.

Meanwhile, Kaito was freaking out on a nearby roof. Ginzo saw him as a son, which wasn't good, not at all. The inspector wasn't supposed to get that attached to him, even if the information made a guilty lightness fill his chest. He liked it, he really really did, but that didn't matter. What mattered was that he was already too deep in, too involved. Kaito sniffed, curling up beside an air conditioning unit. The metal easily leached the warmth from him.

He was going to end up hurting the inspector, Kaito just knew it. It didn't matter what he wanted anymore, the final outcome wouldn't be good for himself. Jail or death. Indigo watered, he didn't want either anymore. Before Ginzo had joined him, he hadn't really cared about what would happen after. That was before he'd realized that just living life could be nice, fun even. Kaito loved this life, and he didn't want to give up what he had. He had to though, he just hoped that it wouldn't be from death. That would hurt Ginzo the most.

The boy frowned, feeling his phone vibrate once in his pocket. Kaito took it out, reading the text Ginzo had sent him about making sure to keep warm. A small watery laugh escaped him, the inspector really was good father material. Kaito got up, shivering to shake away the cold that had seeped into him. The cold cement was painful to his sock clad feet. He texted an affirmative before making his way towards one of his stashes, it held spare clothing meant for emergencies. He didn't feel ready enough to see the inspector just yet.

"Kid" The voice was soft, almost too sweet.

Kaito froze, hair standing up on end "Akako-san" He greeted, feeling unnerved. They were much too close to his and Ginzo's apartment, he didn't want the witch anywhere close to where they lived.

The witch smirked "You look a lot cuter out of uniform" She wouldn't mistake that glowing skin for anything but the thief "Much better than how you looked a few hours ago" So tiny, maybe even fragile.

Bristling, indigo narrowed "Why are you here?" He didn't have any gems to give her right now.

"Caution is an admirable trait" Akako praised "I was just curious to sense you out and about so soon"

That seemed too simple, though the implication was unnerving "You can sense me?" That meant that she probably already knew where they lived.

"It's to prevent you from escaping our deal" The witch tilted her head, red eyes glinting dangerously in the moonlight "Lucifer told me that you've found a strong power" He smirk somehow became more dangerous "And I wanted to find out why my charm had no effect on you two" Lucifer had also told her that the little thief's mental strength was weakened, which would make it more fun to play with the boy.

Unhappy, Kaito grimaced "You're right, but I don't know what you mean about your charm" Sensing that just leaving it like that could be dangerous, he continued "Sure you're pretty, but I prefer males" It was something he'd come to realize after working with Misty, girls were nice and all, but he'd rather be with a boy.

She didn't yet have the power to sway females or gay males yet, so that was a sufficient answer "Oh, so you're with that other boy" She paused, watching in fascination at how Kid's face became one of complete and total disgust. The boy actually looked like he wanted to vomit.

"Please don't say such a disgusting thing" Kaito breathed, feeling nauseous at even the thought "And just to clear things up, he's straight" Why was she talking about things like that when Ginzo was obviously not even a teen yet in appearance and he himself looked younger than he actually was. It was just plain creepy.

Red flickered dangerously "I can't harm him due to our deal, so tell me why he wasn't affected by my charm"

Oh, he really didn't think that lying to a witch would be healthy for anyone's health "You know more about your magic than I do" He should comply "What factors into who's affected or not?" He shivered as a cool breeze cut through him.

"Age, gender, and sexuality"

Kaito grimaced "You were expecting it to work on a child?" Sure the witch was young too, but she had to at least be his own age.

"It only makes children more friendly" Her face scrunched up "I know that you're body is too ill or weak to portray your proper age but the other one was healthy"

"Oh..." He paused, blinked, then realized what she had implied "Did you just accuse me of being a pedo?" She'd realized his age but had still assumed they'd been together.

Akako just smirked "Well? Don't you have an answer for me?"

Fine, he'd let her ignore the question "Poison, he's old enough to be your dad" She could screw them over easily enough without even using the information.

"Interesting"

The boy blinked, suddenly realizing that he didn't feel cold but could still feel his toes and fingers "What?"

Red gleamed "I want that strong power, so let's talk"

Chapter 91: Chapter 90 Lupus Morsus

Notes:

Written January 17 2021
Posted on Wattpad February 13 2021
Posted here September 10 2021

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Kaito felt awful as he watched the witch go through some ancient looking books at an impressive speed. He felt nauseous from being teleported to this odd book room, and uneasy at how easily he'd gone along with her. The boy looked down at himself, at least he wasn't glowing anymore, Akako had made him swallow something disgusting and then the glow had stopped. It sort of pissed him off that she hadn't offered him that solution at the start.

"I'm going to collect some things, don't touch anything" With that, Akako was gone, leaving Kaito all alone in the stuffy room.

The boy sighed, it wasn't like he'd be able to leave this place, there were no doors. Since he didn't want to push his luck when he was already regretting coming along, he leaned against the wall. Without anything to do, Kaito dozed off.

Akako rolled her eyes when she returned to see that the other had fallen asleep. Very sloppy for someone with his reputation, though now Kaito wouldn't be able use the excuse of being tired if things went wrong. It had taken a few hours for her to get what she needed after all "Get up Kid" At her words, the wall holding the boy up moved back a few feet.

Kaito woke with a start, heart thudding as he remembered where he was "Are we ready?" He inquired, unsure. Why hadn't the witch waited before bringing him back in? He didn't even know what the plan was.

The witch nodded "I have acquired the suitable items to protect you from the gem's effects" It had been a pain to do, but a damaged tool would be of no use to her. The other had to stay in good enough shape to carry out his part of the deal.

"Okay" Kaito felt awkward, not knowing how to carry on the conversation. Thankfully the effort wasn't required since moments after he spoke, they were transported to the museum. The boy grimaced, holding his stomach as he refrained from complaining about not getting a warning.

"Just get the gem, I'll handle the magic" Akako ordered.

Kaito hurried away, then hurled into a nearby bush once he deemed himself to be far enough away. He really didn't like that witch. After wiping his mouth, Kaito entered the museum through the vents, easily making his way towards his intended target. Since he's scoped this place out so much, he knew the entire layout by heart.

Stealing without announcing his intentions was so easy, almost too easy Kaito decided as he dropped from the ceiling, cameras already put on loop. The boy eyed the large moonstone warily, not wanting to touch it. It felt dangerous, very dangerous, and he felt tempted to just run away even though he was only a foot from where it was encased in it's glass case. If it weren't for the fact that moonstone was too soft, the Lupus Morsus would have been a perfect Pandora candidate since it was almost bigger than his hands.

Uneasy, but knowing that something bad would happen if he just bails on the witch, the boy swiftly removed the glass case without triggering the sensors. Kaito gulped, glancing behind himself to make sure that his escape route was clear. It was, so he poked the gem, yelping and scrambling back as it burned him and started to glow "Akako?!" He called, head whipping around in search of the witch. A loud snarl brought his attention back to the gem, Indigo widened as this huge monster wolf thing lunged at him "Ah!" He shrieked, closing his eyes, like any sane person would. Kaito felt it's warm breath, but nothing else "Huh?" He was trembling, it was gone?

"So it was as I thought it was" Akako stated, pleased that her research had been correct.

Kaito's legs felt weak so he slumped to the floor "You knew that was going to happen?" His voice was higher than normal.

The witch smirked, holding the gem lovingly "Of course"

"Why didn't you warn me?!" He was pretty sure he would have pissed himself if he wasn't too dehydrated from throwing up so much.

Red eyes blinked at him "Why would I?" The other was just a tool "I just needed to use a dimension stone to send the trapped spirit to another dimension" Now said stone was useless since they could only be used once.

Kaito eyed her worriedly "You just sent it to be someone else's problem?"

Akako nodded "It's focus was on you so it was most likely sent near another version of you" So long as this version of her tool was fine, then the other one could die for all she cared "I can't fight werewolf curses, so sending it where it can't come back for revenge is best"

"Oh my god" The boy breathed, not knowing what else to say.

"I've taken the magic, so you should leave" Akako smirked "You weren't exactly quiet" At her words, the lights turned on.

"Shit" Kaito cursed softly, jumping up into the vents right before security reached the room. With the new bout of adrenaline, the boy swiftly made his escape, then collapsed in the upper branches of a fir tree. He didn't quite remember how he got there, but that was fine, he was safe and hidden. Right in time for the adrenaline crash to hit him.

Kaito pouted, Akako was an asshole, the witch should have at least warned him. It wouldn't have taken much to say 'You're going to be attacked by a werewolf, but don't worry, I won't let it touch you' He wanted to go back home, he felt safest there, but he also didn't want to face Ginzo just yet. What if it was awkward? He had run out on the other after all.

He pulled out his phone, grimacing when he saw that both Ginzo and Misty knew that he wasn't where he was supposed to be. With a sigh, he messaged them, telling them that he was lured in by Akako, but that the events were over and that he was safe. He wiggled his toes, he was starting to feel cold again, Akako must have used a warming spell on him earlier.

Notes:

Huh, so that's were a certain werewolf came from... ^-^
Imagine if it bit THIS Kaito, yikes.
Multiverse yay

Chapter 92: Chapter 91 Vulnerable

Notes:

Written January 23 2021
Posted on Wattpad February 20 2021
Posted here September 17 2021

Chapter Text

Kaito wasn't feeling up to facing Ginzo again just yet, nor did he want to be fussed over by Misty. So once he called himself, he slipped into a secondhand store and bought himself some proper winter clothes. The store clerk had given him a funny look, but thankfully hadn't hindered him. Since he wasn't heading back just yet, the least he could do was make sure that he wouldn't freeze or get frostbite. Once he was properly fitted for the weather, Kaito made his way to the abandoned house that he'd used to live in.

The moment the disrepair came into view, Kaito felt himself relax a bit. It was familiar, safe, a place that he'd once thought he'd never leave. It wasn't any warmer inside than outside after entering it, having not prepared it in advance for another. That was fine though, his clothing was warm.

He sniffed, not understanding why he felt so sad all of a sudden. Kaito quickly wiped away the beginnings of tears, there was no heat here so the wetness would just hurt in the long run. He carefully made his way towards what used to be his room, spotting the frozen mattress. His body heat would melt the ice, but then it would freeze to him if he attempted to sleep on it. So instead of curling up on it, he flipped it so that it was propped against the wall. Kaito then crawled into the newly made space and curled up to sleep. This was the safest place besides being with either Ginzo or Misty. He'd decide what he was going to do later.

When Kaito woke, it was to freezing cold and pain. His waking was slow, limbs almost too stiff to move. The boy grimaced as he eventually sat up, having forgotten that he wasn't used to living like this anymore. What had he been thinking just curling up to sleep? He should have at least made the room insulated enough to keep him warm. Now his whole body hurt.

Kaito really didn't want to move anymore, but he knew that he probably should. A fire would be required for him to regain his body heat, and loosen the stiffness in his body. It'd been stupid to come all the way out here. Really stupid. His gloved hand gently ran along the splintered wall, so stupid. He bit his lip, he felt safe here, though not as safe as he felt with the inspector. With great effort, Kaito dragged himself out of the house to search for some firewood.

Once he was warm enough, he carefully warmed up his phone before charging it via a hidden electrical outlet that he'd once made. Since he hadn't been using the workshop here, there'd been enough electricity stored to make the task more simple. Kaito grimaced when he read the many concerned messages, he'd been an ass. He messaged them telling them that he'd spent the night in a safe place and that he might be back later. Thankfully neither adult pushed him to come back too soon, which was nice.

Kaito spent a few hours by the fire before sighing "Why are you here Akako?" He'd felt an uneasy chill run up his spine after the snow crunched a bit "We just saw each other not that long ago"

The young witch hid her surprise at being noticed with a smirk as she circled around to face the other "You're very vulnerable right now"

"I'm fine" Kaito didn't like being called that.

Akako's smirk just became a bit more sinister. Lucifer had told her that this boy had the potential to be even more useful if she played things just right "You're conflicted and scared of the future" Lucifer had informed her of such.

Kaito frowned "How would you know?" It's not like it was any of her business. The snow was melting fast in a small circumference around them.

"Lucifer knows all" As loathe as she was to admit it, Kaito was someone that interested her "For a high price, I could help him regain his proper age, maybe even make the machines show evidence of amnesia so that he wouldn't be a target"

That... That sounded promising... But "He'd just get in danger by trying to contact me" He eyed Akako warily "Why are you so interested?" He hadn't expected contact with the witch to be so common outside of him fetching gems for her.

Red glinted dangerously as she sat down beside him on the slog he'd been sitting on "You're skilled, talented, and learn exceptionally fast" She purred, leaning her shoulder against his own "You also want to be punished for all the crimes you've committed and want to help the innocent inspector that got dragged into your mess" She'd been surprised when Lucifer had told her that the boy was even more of a catch than she'd initially thought.

Kaito looked away, not denying the truth. It was alarming to have someone so untrustworthy know so much.

"I want you to serve me permanently" She smiled darkly "I will admit that it wouldn't be pleasant, but it would be a proper punishment"

The boy bristled "Serving you would just make my crimes add up" He highly doubted that Akako was innocent when it came to the law.

Akako shook her head "You would still be able to resist orders that you'd truly be against, it would just be very painful" Making the other a mindless servant would make him less useful "You won't harm anybody"

He had a good feeling that she was understating the pain "Keibu would still get himself in danger looking for me" Ginzo was kind and determined like that.

"I could fix his body and give him real amnesia that he'll quickly recover from" She smirked "He'd remember everything up until a chosen date" Akako's voice took on a much kinder tone "His life would be fixed just like that"

Kaito bit his lip, the thought of Ginzo forgetting about him hurt, he didn't want to be forgotten. Though he'd also be safe and Ginzo wouldn't get hurt, it just seemed too easy. He swallowed "That's a very tempting offer"

Chapter 93: Chapter 92 Distant

Notes:

Written January 28 2021
Posted on Wattpad March 6 2021
Posted here September 17 2021

NEXT UPDATE is on October 1 2021

Chapter Text

Before Kaito could say anything else, something hard slammed into the back of his head, the impact making him fall forwards, barely stopping himself from falling "You bastard!" Unfortunately, the sudden shout startled him enough to continue his path towards the ground. It wasn't a pleasant experience.

"Wha-?" Confused and slightly dazed, Kaito scrambled to a sitting position, hands holding his head in pain. Ow, what even hit him? Was he imagining the growing wetness on his head?

Ginzo cursed, he'd given Kaito some time before searching for him. He'd decided to check the beat up house since it was a spot that Kaito would deem to be safe. The inspector shot a glare towards the spot that the witch had vanished from before hurrying over towards Kaito "Shit" He hadn't thought that there'd be something hard in the snowball, he'd just panicked and flung one. Stopping Kaito from making that damned deal had been the priority.

Kaito blinked, head turning towards the familiar voice "Keibu?" What was the inspector doing here? Hands were suddenly going through his hair, he couldn't help but flinch in pain. The contact hurt.

The inspector clicked his tongue, feeling both concerned and guilty "You're an idiot" He scolded, grimacing when his hand came back red. Ginzo examined the injury, coming to the conclusion that it wasn't as bad as head injuries always seemed "You promised that you'd be the one to undo the poison" He growled, putting pressure on the medium but shallow cut he'd made.

Indigo lowered guiltily, he didn't push the other's hands away. Even though the touch was painful, the intent made him feel safe "I'm sorry" He'd attempted to break the promise he'd made.

Ginzo let out a sigh, relieved that Kaito wasn't going to attempt to defend himself. That meant that the boy understood what he'd done wrong "I will never forgive you if you even attempt to make any sort of deal that would hurt you" His shoulders drooped "I'd never forget you even if she uses her scary magic on me" Kaito was too unique, one of a kind. It would be impossible for him to forget someone that he cared for so much.

Kaito's good eye watered, the words both comforting and terrifying "I want to be alone for a few days" He needed to collect himself, and fortify his decisions. Ginzo's presence was too comforting, he was relying on the other too much emotionally. Kaito needed to start thinking more rationally without his feelings jumbling things up.

The inspector scowled, glancing at the house, it looked worse than he remembered. Though that was probably because Kaito hadn't been around to maintain it "You shouldn't be alone" He argued "You were alone today and almost sold away your freedom" It had been terrifying to listen in on the conversation, it was a wonder that he hadn't been noticed "Staying here isn't healthy"

Bristling, Kaito moved away "I've lived here for years, a few days are nothing" This place was special to him.

"You've just started growing again Kaito, what if it stunts you even more" The area around the house was contaminated.

"Then I'll be tiny" Kaito crossed his arms "I've been tiny for years, it wouldn't change much" He didn't mean it, the thought of staying small was scary. He just needed to be alone.

Ginzo eyed Kaito, the boy was obviously distraught "I'm sorry about before, I won't make any comments like that again" He wasn't stupid, he could guess that Kaito's plan was to distance himself. Becoming an inspector wasn't easy after all "But you're not staying here" Not when Kaito had a nice warm bed to sleep in.

So Ginzo wasn't going to be as affectionate, Kaito pushed down the negative emotions regarding that thought, forcing himself to nod "Fine, I'll stay in the apartment" He relented.

"Good" Though it was a bit upsetting that Kaito hadn't called their place 'Home' like he had been recently up until now. At least this way he'd know that Kaito was safe. Ginzo stood up, brushing off his knees. He wanted to say more, but was worried that Kaito might change his mind if he showed too much affection so soon. That was what had started this mess after all.

Since Kaito looked to be both tired and cold, Ginzo called for a taxi once they had exited the forest and were near the road. The taxi ride ended up being thankfully uneventful, so they made it back with relative ease.

"Sleep some more" Ginzo advised once they were safely inside their apartment "I know that you're going after more gems tonight" He wouldn't stop Kaito even though he wanted to, the boy would just run off if he tried.

Kaito nodded "Okay" He turned and headed towards his room, a heavy feeling nestling in his chest. The boy shook his head once he was behind closed doors, no, this was what he wanted. Lie. Ginzo was respecting his wishes, like the good person that he was. It just hurt. That was fine though. It had to be. He curled up on his bed, hiding his head beneath the covers. Maybe tomorrow he'd work on the cure, or try to plan a safe way to reintroduce Ginzo into society once everything was over. If he was busy, he could ignore the heavy feelings in his chest. His sleep ended up being restless.

When Kaito woke up, it was dark out. Which was alarming since that meant that he'd slept through most of the day. The boy frowned, emotional exhaustion was annoying, he didn't want to deal with it again. After using the washroom, he made his way towards the kitchen. It was empty so he checked the fridge and spotted some wrapped up curry. Indigo softened as he took out the food, unwrapped it then reheated it.

Sitting down to eat all alone somehow made him feel lonely. Kaito frowned as he stared at his half eaten meal, he'd eaten here alone before. Yet it felt different now. Appetite now lost, Kaito forced himself to finish the meal, not wanting Ginzo's kindness to go to waste. He would need the fuel tonight.

Chapter 94: Chapter 93 Favour, Plan

Notes:

Written February 14 2021
Posted on Wattpad March 13 2021
Posted here October 1 2021

Chapter Text

A few weeks passed by with Kaito acting more distant by mostly avoiding Ginzo. The boy would head out each night to borrow magic gems, returning them before they were missed. It worried Ginzo, he didn't like seeing the other put up the walls that he had.

Seeing Kaito nowadays was actually a rare sight, and he was pretty sure that the boy was only letting him catch glimpses of him to prevent him from worrying even more. Ginzo was pretty sure that if he wanted to, Kaito would easily be able to remain undetected despite living together. So he was a little thankful that Kaito had been letting him see that he was still okay, even if the boy sometimes looked a bit odd. Ginzo wasn't completely sure, but he could almost swear that Kaito had had cat ears a little while ago.

So it had surprised him when Kaito popped his head out of his bedroom while the inspector had been walking by "Keibu" Kaito wasn't meeting Ginzo's gaze, the boy's face was that of a half scowl half pout with pink dusting his cheeks "I need you to buy something since Misty is busy"

Ginzo blinked, still reeling a bit from the fact that the other had actually approached him. His gaze then widened when it suddenly registered to him that Kaito wasn't wearing an eye patch, instead he had two normal looking eyes with a bit of scarring around the right one "Your eye!" Sure he'd known in the back of his head that Kaito had obtained the means to make a good false one, but said false one looked just as real as the original.

Kaito frowned, looking a bit stressed "Can you buy something or not?" 

The inspector shook away his shock at the other's words "What do you need?" With how they currently stood, Kaito wouldn't be asking him for something silly.

"I-" Kaito's blush became more prominent "I was temporarily changed into a girl about a week ago" This was embarrassing to admit "I was told that it'll wear off within a month, but I need you to buy me some pads" Because he was bleeding and now had another layer of respect added to what he already had for women "I wasn't expecting for it to be possible" He trailed off, face burning. While Ginzo was out he'd wash his sheets, and the clothing the blood had soiled.

"Oh" That was not one of the things that he'd ever expected Kaito to ask of him. Ginzo squinted "You don't look any different" He really didn't.

"I'm exactly the same except for what's in my pants" It was almost disappointing that even as a female, he'd still look like a child. Kaito sighed "Now can you go buy what I need please? I don't want to soak through the stuff I'm using" Kaito pressed, he was using some bundled up clothing that actually no longer fit him properly, just barely though. It wasn't comfortable at all.

"Ah, right" Ginzo nodded, understanding that the other was quite stressed with the situation "I'll head out now" While he'd like to take advantage of the fact that Kaito was actually talking to him again, he wasn't cruel. He grabbed what he needed and headed out.

Kaito sighed in relief when the other left, shoulders losing their tension. That was one problem on it's way to being solved at least. He hurriedly collected the bloodied articles and carried them to the washer, steps awkward as he walked carefully, not wanting to dislodge the clothing in his pants. The boy figured that he must look silly with the way he was walking but that was better than dirtying another pair of pants.

Once everything was in the wash, Kaito headed towards the washroom. A nice warm shower would make him feel clean and would make the time pass faster. While becoming female for a bit wasn't ideal, it was still easier to deal with than the tinkling laughs and giggles that he'd heard in the back of his head for a few days after touching a magic gem a week or two ago. Akako had strictly told him to ignore them and  to not respond in any way, he'd listened and the background noise eventually faded. Though the witch never did give him an explanation, which was normal.  

 Near the end of his shower there was a soft knock on the door before it opened just enough for a pack of pads to be placed on the floor before the door closed. Wow, he must have been in the shower for a long time, or Ginzo must have rushed to buy them. Kaito glanced at his fingers, noting that they weren't too wrinkled so Ginzo must have rushed. He frowned, feeling guilty that Ginzo still cared so much even though he'd been avoiding him.

Meanwhile Ginzo was trying to think up a way to get Kaito to stop avoiding him before it got worse. He'd given the boy both time and space, but now he was feeling like it was about time for him to push Kaito. The other had had enough time to cope with his vulnerabilities so they shouldn't be too fresh or painful. Hopefully.

The inspector was at least grateful that Kaito had been productive in a positive way instead of brooding, borrowing dangerous magic gems didn't count. It was nice to see Kaito looking like he'd never lost an eye, the boy had looked fine before, but he looked less vulnerable now. Kaito was a very smart and kind person, so it also made him wonder about what sort of progress the other had made in regards to the antidote. The stabilizing pills that he'd been taking all this time had changed to be both a bit bigger, and strawberry flavoured. He'd immediately been able to tell that he was taking something different than before. It'd also been a capsule filled with pink liquid instead of powder.

He eyed the bathroom door, he wouldn't let Kaito sneak away after his shower. They needed to talk and fix things between them.

Chapter 95: Chapter 94 A Needed Talk, Concern

Notes:

Written February 26 2021
Posted on Wattpad March 20 2021
Posted here October 8 2021

Chapter Text

Kaito's shoulders slumped when he peeked out the door only to come face to face with the inspector. Yeah, he wouldn't be able to get away without talking first "Do we have to?" He complained, despite knowing that the answer was obviously yes.

Ginzo sighed, not wanting to force the other even though he knew that it needed to be done "Kaito, we really need to talk" They couldn't keep living like this, it wasn't good for either of them. He crossed his arms "Now are we going to talk with me blocking the door, or are you willing to talk in the living room?" Not talking wasn't an option.

"We can go to the living room" Kaito decided after a few moments. Ginzo was very persistent, once the guy set his mind on doing something, it was hard to get him to change it. He may as well save the both of them the trouble that him running away would cause.

The inspector nodded, stepping to the side to allow Kaito to pass before following the other to the living room. Kaito sat down on the couch, he remained standing, close, but not close enough to be rude since the boy didn't seem keen on contact right now "Why does the fact that I care for you upset you so much?" Ginzo inquired. He knew why Kaito had run away, he just wanted to know why the boy had felt like he needed to.

Indigos lowered, eyeing the ground as if it were more interesting than it actually was "I care about you a lot" Over the months Ginzo had moved from someone he idolized to someone that he saw as a fatherly figure, being around the inspector was nice. Kaito's fingers curled into fists as he rested them on his knees "I don't think that things will end well for me" He admitted softly "It will hurt less if we distance ourselves before things go south" Maybe if he told the truth, Ginzo might understand and listen, maybe.

"Why do you think that?" They were doing so well, all things considered. Their progress was fantastic when compared to how things were in the beginning. Ginzo had to stop himself from moving closer "You know that I wouldn't let things turn out bad right?" The inspector eyed Kaito curiously "Don't you?"

Kaito gave a small nod "I believe that you'd do your best to help me" His fingers unclenched then clenched "But things are getting a lot more dangerous, I don't want to die anymore" The boy winced, practically feeling the other's concern "But I might mess up, and even if I don't..." Kaito pulled his legs up, tucking them to his chest as he leaned against the back of the couch "I'll have to pay for my crimes like I promised that I would" At first he hadn't cared much about it, but now he didn't want to give up what he had. He was selfish like that "And having me locked up would make you upset"

While Ginzo really really wanted to talk about the dying part, he refrained and instead stuck to the current topic since the other was spoken of in past tense "You won't be locked up" There was no way that he'd let that happen "Hakuba-san is fond of you too, so he wouldn't allow that to happen" While Danashi wasn't all that present in their lives, the guy really did care about Kaito. Why else would he have done all that he had to help them?

The boy bit his lip "I know that, but favouritism shouldn't be allowed when it comes to crimes" People shouldn't get away with their crimes due to their status or connections. Danashi caring shouldn't matter, even if some gifts proved otherwise.

"Yeah, but that's not how things work in the real world Kaito" Ginzo stated, even horrible criminals could get away if they had the right people in their pocket or enough influence. It was another reason why he preferred working in Division 2, it was less heartbreaking to have a thief walk free instead of a murderer or worse "We made a bet, and I'm not planning on losing it" He would not allow Kaito to go to jail, his opinion on the topic was a lot stronger than it'd initially been "There are better ways you can make up for your crimes than just sitting in jail" Not to mention that if Kaito did somehow go to jail, he'd leak the circumstances to the boy's fans. The riots should be enough to get Kaito free.

Oh, he remembered that bet... "Still"

Ginzo cut Kaito off "I'd be more upset if something happened to you and the time we'd had together was wasted because you'd been afraid of hurting my feelings" He cautiously sat down beside the other, feeling relieved when Kaito showed no sign of wanting him to move away "Stop thinking about the final outcome and just think about any current problems that pop up"

That, that made some sense. Kaito's eyes watered though no tears fell "I'll have to think about future problems when it comes to the antidote" He retorted, just for the sake of being uncooperative.

The inspector snorted "That's fine" He offered a small smile "I'm an adult, I can deal with being upset so don't base your actions around whether or not something will upset me or not" Ginzo paused "Unless it involves avoidable harm or injury, then think about how upset I'd be to see you hurt"

Kaito eyed Ginzo curiously, wondering if he should test that out to see how he'd react "I got hurt a week ago"

Ginzo frowned when Kaito uncurled his left hand, lifting it up to wiggle all four fingers in front of his face. Wait, four? "What the fuck happened?" Ginzo snatched the hand to eye it more closely, the pinky finger was missing though the knuckle joint looked like it'd healed well.

"Akako sliced it off after a gem bit me, she didn't explain anything besides saying that I just barely escaped death"

"A gem bit you?" What the fuck?

Chapter 96: Chapter 95 Lots of Unease

Notes:

Written March 8 2021
Posted on Wattpad April 3 2021
Posted here October 8 2021

Chapter Text

A small giggle escaped from Kaito, Ginzo's genuine confusion was comforting "The bite startled me more than it'd hurt" Kaito confessed, it still felt weird to look at his hand and only see 4 fingers.

Ginzo inwardly relaxed at the other's expression, acting on his confusion rather than his worry had been a good choice. It upset him that Kaito had received yet another permanent injury under his care. Yet just like with last time, the boy didn't seem too upset by the loss "I guess losing a finger is better than losing your life" He replied lamely, not really knowing what else to say.

Kaito nodded, amusement fading "Yeah, I'll just adapt my tricks to compensate"

The inspector eyed Kaito curiously before bracing himself for the next subject "Kaito, I know that you probably don't want to talk about it, but I really want to know what you meant about not wanting to die anymore" The boy had calmed down enough so he wanted to broach the subject now.

"Oh" Kaito couldn't help the grimace that crossed over his face. His hands played together nervously as he broke eye contact "I didn't mean to say that" He really hadn't, it had surprised him that he'd even said such a thing. The boy pursed his lips "I guess I never consciously wished to die" But... Guilt washed over him for even having such thoughts "I never realized it until I didn't want to die anymore" Kaito admitted softly with a small shrug.

Ginzo nodded in understanding, heart breaking as he pulled Kaito into a hug "I'm glad that you never realized it" His voice was scratchy as he forced himself not to cry. Death could have been viewed as such an easy solution to Kaito's problems if the boy had consciously wished for it. He was so fucking glad that the boy's sense of self guilt had prevented him from trying to evade his problems. Instead, the boy had sought punishment by carrying on.

Kaito allowed himself to enjoy the hug, it was okay for him to be happy with the closeness. It was really nice, Ginzo gave great hugs "I'm glad too" He would have missed out on so much if he'd died "Do you really think that things could turn out okay?" His voice was small, hopeful.

"I do" The inspector assured, believing the words himself "There might be a few problems, but it should turn out okay" Not perfect, probably not even good, but he believed that things will at the very least, be okay.

"Okay" Indigos closed as the boy took in a deep breath before opening them "Then I'll try to believe that too" Even if it did turn out to be nothing more than falsely placed hope, at least he would have been able to enjoy the time he'd spent believing. He'd give in and allow himself to be a bit selfish like Ginzo wanted him to be, because he really really liked being happy.

Ginzo couldn't help the grin that spread across his face, he was so proud of Kaito. The boy was just so strong even when he was weak "After tonight's heist, can you take a break for a few days?"

Kaito blinked, reluctantly pulling himself out of the hug "There was a heist notice?"

The inspector's smile fell "A fake one it seems" That meant that it could be the Crows.

"I guess that it's about time for me to do another proper heist anyways" Kaito sighed, the last heist had been terrifying "Do you know what gem is being targeted?" Knowing would at least make things a little more easier.

"I think it's called the Moon's Wish" The name was very fitting for something that Kaitou Kid would steal. Ginzo blinked at the sudden sour expression on the other's face "What's wrong"

Indigos narrowed "I don't want to go anywhere near that thing" A small shiver ran through his frame at the thought "I passed over it since it felt really dangerous" More dangerous than anything that he'd ever felt before. He blinked a few times, resisting the sudden instinctive urge to crawl into a corner and cry "I don't know if I'll even be able to get near it" Without freaking out that is. Even Akako had seemed wary of the gem, she hadn't even pushed him for an explanation on why he had skipped it.

"Fuck" The swear was automatic as it passed through his lips "You have to steal it" The words felt like poison as he spoke them "If it's really as dangerous as you say, you can't let them have it"

"I know" Kaito's words were watery.

"You're crying..." Double fuck, he didn't want Kaito to do the heist "If it's making you react like that, then it might be Pandora" It was a very extreme reaction from just thinking about it, and wouldn't a gem like Pandora be considered extremely dangerous?

A small sob was the answer he got in response.

Shit, this was another strike on his opinion about magic. He captured Kaito to give him a comforting hug "I'll help you get it" It wasn't like they had much of a choice, Kaito would need the emotional support "Maybe you can get Akako to block your magic abilities just for tonight?"

Kaito shivered, clutching onto the other. He really hated how the magic was making him feel "I hope" Speaking was hard.

Ginzo rubbed Kaito's back to comfort him "It will be okay, I believe in you" Fuck magic, but if the witch could possibly help Kaito, then he'd readily accept her help just this once.

"Thanks" As much as he wanted to keep the inspector away from such a risky heist, he knew that he'd need help this time. There was no way that he was going to go there to do some preparation for some fancy tricks, he was just going to go in and out this time. The danger he was feeling from the gem's magic levels was just too much. Kaito wasn't even going to even try to find the Crows tonight.

Chapter 97: Chapter 96 Flu is the Key

Notes:

Written March 13 2021
Posted on Wattpad April 10 2021
Posted here October 15 2021

Chapter Text

Ginzo let out a weary sigh as he gazed down at Kaito, the boy had eventually passed out and was now lying against him. The combination of stress and fear had obviously been too much for the other to handle. The inspector really didn't think that Kaito would be mentally ready to do the heist at the required time.

Kaito looked strained even in his sleep, it was worrying. Ginzo grimaced, an idea already starting to form in his head, he just hoped that Kaito wouldn't be too upset with him for suggesting it. The boy had cancelled heists before, it wasn't often but sometimes life wouldn't cooperate. Normally when he'd done cancellations, it was because something had happened to one of the task force members or someone close to them. Since he was currently in hiding, it wouldn't be smart to fake such a thing, so the best choice was to claim sudden sickness on Kid's part, the contagious sort. People would believe that it was real since Kid cared for people.

The inspector nodded to himself, yes, that was a good idea. It would help them buy some time at least. Ginzo contemplated a few illnesses before deciding that a flu would be the best choice since it could last varying amounts of time. It would help that everyone was under the impression that Kid was at least in his thirties, nearing his forties and that the flu could be more complicated when one wasn't young. They could potentially get 2 weeks to plan if things worked out. Now he just needed Kaito to write the note since foraging signatures wasn't one of his skills.

"Wha-?" Kaito mumbled, annoyed at being nudged awake "Go away" He was tired, he wanted to rest.

"You can go back to sleep soon" Ginzo gently assured as he encouraged the boy to sit up. He felt bad about waking Kaito, but if the other didn't agree to his plan, then Kaito would have needed to get up to plan something anyways.

Kaito grumbled in response but obeyed "What do you want?" He inquired, still feeling half asleep.

"I need you to write a Kid note saying that you've caught the flu, the original note was sent yesterday morning so there's been enough time to make it seem less suspicious" Ginzo saw no point in beating around the bush, it wasn't something that he could trick the other into doing.

The boy blinked. The flu? Indigos lowered as Kaito curled a bit into himself. He, he really liked that idea, going near that gem was the last thing that he wanted to do. Kaito shivered "Thank you" Ginzo had gotten him an out "My cards and fancy pen are in the bottom desk drawer of my room" He didn't have the energy to get up to get them himself. Kaito sniffed, at least it wouldn't be a total lie, he was sick in a way, just not with the flu.

Ginzo let out a relieved breath "Thank god" He softly exclaimed before getting up to fetch said items. He was so glad that the boy hadn't even tried to fight him on it. A lot could be done and planned in two weeks.

When the inspector returned with the bagged items, Kaito slowly slipped on the included gloves before taking out one of the cards to write his message on. He couldn't help the faint smile that tugged at his lips as he added a cute thermometer to the frowning Kid symbol at the end "Now all I've got to do is deliver it to the police" He sighed, knowing that it was too late to properly mail it. It'll have to be done in person.

"Right" Ginzo nodded "I'll get started on lunch then" It was a bit past noon, but not too late for lunch. Busying himself would distract him from worrying about Kaito.

"I should be back in around 20 minutes" Kaito relayed as he went to go get his winter clothes on. He really didn't have the energy to be doing this but Ginzo might get caught if he got the inspector to do it. While breaking Ginzo out of the police station or an orphanage sounded funny in theory, he didn't want to tempt fate. His hacking had been a bit rushed when he'd edited the inspector's finger print and dental records.

"We'll be having some grilled cheese then" It should be ready by the time Kaito got back, maybe he'd even heat up some leftover soup to go with it. He got to work as Kaito left to deliver the note. By the time he finished up everything, he heard the front door open and close, signalling that Kaito had returned right on time. Ginzo paused, plate hovering a bit above the table as he took in Kaito's appearance "How did you manage to get a bloody nose?"

Kaito flushed behind the tissues he was holding "I slipped on some ice" He wiped around his mouth a bit before tossing the soiled tissue into the garbage. He pulled out a new one.

Ginzo snorted "If that's your excuse, then I'm curious to know what really happened" Kaito couldn't have possibly slipped on some ice, the boy was too agile.

The boy's face flushed an even darker red, ears burning from embarrassment "That is what happened" He dejectedly slumped into his chair "Me and ice do not mix" Today just wasn't his day, he got a period that shouldn't have come, he became terrified, and now he'd made a fool of himself by admitting that he'd slipped on ice.

"Wow" Ginzo snickered "I can't believe it" Though judging from Kaito's face, the boy was actually telling the truth "You must have just slipped outside since you're still bleeding a bit" He really wanted to view the surveillance footage "Wait" Ginzo squinted, leaning forwards with suspicion "You're missing a tooth"

Kaito was really tempted to just go hide in his room "It was already loose... My bone age is younger than it should be, remember?" The tooth he was missing was from his left side on the bottom.

"So the great Kaitou Kid lost a baby tooth" The inspector chuckled.

"Can we just eat...?"

Chapter 98: Chapter 97 Little Dove Little Dove

Notes:

Written March 27 2021
Posted on Wattpad April 17 2021
Posted here October 15 2021

Chapter Text

Much to Kaito's relief, Ginzo had ended up dropping the subject, allowing the boy to eat his meal in peace. It was tasty and warm, giving Kaito a bit of comfort. That was until an unexpected voice spoke out behind him "You've already gotten into another mess"

Ginzo almost choked at the sight of Akako suddenly appearing behind Kaito "Why the hell are you here?" He growled, hadn't she pestered Kaito enough already? The poor boy was already looking a bit pale.

Red narrowed as her lips curled into a dangerous smirk "I can't lose my pet too soon now can I?" Kaito had ended up being more effective than she'd thought he'd be, her powers had grown significantly since their deal had been made "I must keep an eye on him" For both weaknesses to exploit and actual danger.

Kaito resisted the urge to cringe as he felt her hand rest on his shoulder, her red painted nails glinted threateningly as they tapped against him "You have a plan regarding?..." A shiver ran through him as he thought about it "That?" He was starting to feel sick again just thinking about it.

The inspector eyed Kaito with concern, the other was looking a bit queasy. He didn't dare try to push the witch away from him though, that would be too risky.

"I could remove your fear" She offered.

"At what cost?" Kaito really hated being afraid, it was scary and made him feel exhausted. That didn't mean that he wasn't wary of the danger that the red witch posed.

"Your emotions of course" The witch studied her nails, as if she were admiring them.

"Absolutely not" Ginzo's reply was immediate. Akako had already called Kaito her pet, he wasn't going to let the witch mess with his emotions.

"Agreed" The nails felt a bit sharper than they should have, leading Kaito to believe that she was using magic to do it. Kaito felt one tap his throat, wincing when he felt it cut him. Thankfully it wasn't deep "Are you going back on your deal?"

Akako smirked, removing her nails from Kaito "No, breaking a deal would be bad" She flicked her fingers, the blood vanished. She couldn't really harm them, but there were many ways to get around that.

"If that was your only offer, can you leave?" Kaito was being ruder than he'd normally be, but he was stressed and didn't want to think about the problem anymore.

"Are you sure that is wise?" Akako purred, enjoying their unease "I had thought that you wouldn't want to die" A red aura seemed to surround her "According to Lucifer, Kaitou Kid will die when they seek the moon"

Alarmed, the inspector bristled instinctively "Then I'll steal the damn thing instead" If it was to protect Kaito... "Kaito's the one who activates the gems right? It should be fine if he doesn't touch it"

Kaito's eyes were wide "Keibu" He was really touched, Ginzo would steal for him?

Akako scowled, irked that these two males were looking down on Lucifer's abilities "You can't fight fate without magic" And even then it rarely worked.

"Well that's what we're going to do" Ginzo scoffed "Who's to say that you're not trying to manipulate us by making that up anyways?!"

"Keibu!" Kaito hissed, hopping over to cover the inspector's mouth "Don't mock her when it comes to Lucifer" His tone was dead serious.

Ginzo paused, meeting Kaito's fearful gaze before pulling away "Fine" He crossed his arms "But no deals that could harm Kaito are being made"

"Fine, but I'm going to work him hard for one more week before he goes and dies" Protective oaf... "I'll just recite the fortune" Maybe they- or Kaito will change his mind. The youngest knew that her fortunes held power.

The little dove shakes

Tormented by the red fate

It spirals and falls

Clinging oh so hard

Growing weak, it fights and fights

A painful failure

Poor scared little dove

It will die, never to fly

It won't walk away

Kaito visibly trembled, indigos blown wide as he sagged against Ginzo. That, did not sound good at all. He was going to die, he was- The boy swallowed, turning his gaze towards Ginzo "We'll prove it wrong" He would believe that everything would be okay, his future wasn't going to be taken from him. If he hadn't sorted things out with Ginzo, he might have given up like he tended to do. However he'd promised to believe that things would turn out mostly okay, so that was what he was going to believe. He didn't want to sabotage his own happiness anymore.

Ginzo smiled, giving Kaito a nod "Of course, we've come this far haven't we?" He turned and shot a glare at the witch "We won't be making any deals that harm Kaito" He stated once more.

Akako was shocked, though she hid it well. Kaito's mental strength was stronger than she'd anticipated... "Very well then, rest a bit since we're going out tonight little pet" She disappeared.

"Since when has she been calling you her pet?" The inspector was scowling just from the implication of what the witch thought of Kaito.

"One of the gems gave me feline features for a bit" Kaito sighed.

Ginzo's gaze softened "I wish I could have taken a picture" He ruffled Kaito's hair, feeling so proud. Kaito was actively hoping that his future would be okay.

Kaito blushed "Nooo" Misty would have teased the hell out of him if she'd found out, which she would have.

The inspector laughed before his smile faded into a thin frown "You should rest to make sure that you stay safe tonight" He liked Akako even less than before, the witch was cruel and nasty.

"I guess..." Kaito sighed, he'd been hoping that he'd get a bit of a break but it wasn't meant to be "I might not be around much..." He looked away "I want to work on the cure and my recent findings were looking good" And just because he was being hopeful, it didn't mean that his habit of being cautious had been wiped away. He would never dare risk dying without fixing Ginzo's predicament, or at the very least leaving the tools to do it. He wasn't planning on dying, it was just a habit.

Chapter 99: Chapter 98 Magic Magic... Bleh Magic

Notes:

Written April 3 2021
Posted on Wattpad May 1 2021
Posted here October 22 2021

Chapter Text

True to Kaito's word, over the next week, the boy started to become scarce at their shared apartment. All time that wasn't spent sleeping or with Akako had been allotted to the cure. Kaito wasn't planning to die, in fact, he refused to take Akako's cryptic message to heart. He was going to survive, but he'd need the inspector's help to do so. Kaito knew that he wouldn't be able to force himself to get anywhere near the gem, so he was going to rely on Ginzo to get the gem for him. He just needed to make a more efficient cure to counter any setbacks that might come up.

Ginzo's statement of stealing the gem for him had bolstered Kaito's resolve, he refused to fail him. The cure needed to be as near perfect as he could get it in case Ginzo got into a predicament and got held up as a result.

With a short startled hiss, Kaito just barely stopped himself from dropping the vials that he'd been holding "Akako..." He forced his shoulders to relax. The boy really really didn't like when the witch just popped up out of nowhere. To make matters worse, he'd contaminated the samples that he'd been working with. He'd been testing the cures on samples of Ginzo's and his own blood to see how quickly the cells died. It was disturbing to watch and made him thankful that the inspector hadn't turned into a pile of goo.

The witch just smirked in the face of Kaito's anger, it was adorable watching the boy work so hard to help the inspector "It's almost time to go so get ready" Akako quirked a brow at the messed up samples "Using your blood, smart" The boy did have magic engraved into his DNA after all.

Kaito blinked "No, you startled me..." He glanced down at where his own blood sample had spilled into Ginzo's "I was just doing some extra tests to see how dangerous it was to people who weren't poisoned" Maybe he could make preventatives when he was stuck waiting for results.

"Oh?" Since her pet has been good lately... "Your DNA had magic engraved in it, even if it's true abilities can never be awakened" She didn't know much about science, but magic mastered all in her eyes. Surely adding in magic blood could only do good things.

The magician silently stared at the contaminated sample... Well, why not? He administered the latest version of the cure, then set a few cameras to record before turning away from it. Maybe magic will do something nice for once? "Let's start early" If he stayed, he'll probably be tempted to stay and end up pissing Akako off. 

"Perfect" Akako was glad, today was the last day before she would give the boy his last week off before he went and got himself killed. It was really a shame... Red glanced at the samples before she transported them away. She really shouldn't have destroyed the other's true magic... It had been special, something rare, something worth stealing for herself. Oh well... She just needed to use Kaito to make up for it.

With practised ease, Kaito snatched the magical gems he was pointed towards, grimacing as the different magics clashed as they fought to take effect first. He really hated snatching more than one at a time, at least these ones felt safe when compared to some of the others that he'd taken. He felt sick.

"We need to keep going" Akako nudged Kaito with her foot. The other had tiredly sat on the ground "You still need to make up for your future suicide" Because that's what it was, Lucifer was always right. Her pet would die at his next heist. Annoyed, she waved a few magic smelling salts in front of the other's nose.

Kaito perked up, the sick feeling suddenly leaving him "What did the gems do?" They must have done something but he was feeling much better now.

"Nothing much, just a bunch of sensory stuff that can be fixed easily" It was annoying, such weak gems were a waste of time. They were weak, yet due to the time constraints, the effects couldn't be waited out so she'd had to help him "You would have just been too spacey to be efficient"

The magician nodded, standing back up "Okay, what next?" Akako answered and he went back to touching magic gems. It ended up being a dreadful night despite how he'd avoided ones that had longer side effects or risky ones. By the time morning came, Kaito felt absolutely miserable when he headed back to the apartment for a well deserved rest. He never wanted to see Akako ever again.

Ginzo blinked as he watched Kaito flop onto the floor, he'd been expecting Kaito to come back today, just not like that "You look terrible..." The boy looked completely exhausted.

"Evil witch..." Kaito whined, not wanting to move. His body just felt so sore, more than it should. It must have been another stupid gem that was making him feel like this "I'm so glad it's over for the next week"

The inspector smiled fondly as he sat next to the other "Same, it's a bit lonely when you're too busy to show up" He reached over to card his fingers through Kaito's hair "I think you're visibly taller than me now" Kaito still looked like a child though, the missing tooth wasn't helping the boy's case in the matter either "Are there any other changes that I should know about?" Like injuries?

Indigos became half lidded at the feeling of fingers going through his hair "No, we avoided all the major gems in favour of taking a lot of minor ones instead" At least Akako had been somewhat reasonable "I'm still female though, which is annoying" He never wanted to have another period ever again.

Ginzo barked out a laugh at that "I'm glad that you're okay"

Kaito offered a tired smile "You should rest, I'm going to start training you soon" Ginzo didn't need to be at phantom thief level since Kaito would do the distracting.

"Speak for yourself" The inspector smirked, Kaito had fallen asleep.

Chapter 100: Chapter 99 Learning Plans

Notes:

Written April 16 2021
Posted on Wattpad May 8 2021
Posted here October 22 2021

NEXT UPDATE is November 5 2021

Chapter Text

When Kaito awoke, he still felt sore, he ignored it and got up anyways. He looked at the time, noting that it was nearing the afternoon. The boy grimaced, his sleep schedule was shot, and after all the effort he'd put in to get it normal too... It was disappointing to say the least. With a sigh, Kaito made his way out of his room with the kitchen as his desired destination. As expected, there was something already made up for him to eat, well to be more specific, leftover pizza that he hadn't even known existed. Ginzo must have ordered some while he'd been asleep. Kaito ate two slices of the Hawaiian pizza, leaving the rest to be eaten by either of them at a later date.

After feeding himself, the boy made his way towards the living room "Do you know anything about lock picking?" Kaito inquired.

Ginzo grimaced "I know how to get out of handcuffs" He'd set out to learn after he'd had his own cuffs used against him at heists. Waiting for someone to release him had gotten boring when he could have been doing his job instead.

Kaito blinked "Really?" He hadn't expected that to be honest.

The inspector nodded "I got tired of being stuck whenever you handcuffed me" It was also very embarrassing to have one's own handcuffs used against you.

"Huh" Kaito smiled "And here I thought that the others had just gotten better at locating you" It hadn't occurred to him that Ginzo had been the one to free himself "How long does it take you?"

"More than a few minutes, though it'd take longer if I needed to be discreet" He was by no means a master, but a few minutes was better than an hour.

Kaito hummed "We'll get back to that later then, I want you to learn how to pick the more basic and common locks just in case" Museums had stopped upgrading their average locks since the costs had been getting to be too much. They could keep the average thief out, just not Kaitou Kid "They may seem difficult..." Kaito snickered "But they're basically all the same"

Ginzo nodded "I did notice that the locks stopped changing..." It had been annoying to find out.

Indigos gleamed "I'll give you 4 main keys just in case, colour coded of course" Carrying a whole key ring would be difficult and loud, even with the colour coding "But I'd like you to still learn as a preventative measure"

"Of course you actually have copies of the keys..." Ginzo sighed, feeling a bit miffed at the fact. The owners weren't supposed to just ignore the fact that key copies exist! It went against the purpose of working with the police!

"I think some of the owners know that I do too" Kaito giggled "Less potential property damage this way I guess" He offered shrug "Anyways, I'm going to make sure that locks will be no problem for you at the heist" Kaito was not going to allow Ginzo to get arrested for him, even if it wouldn't put him in danger.

Ginzo squinted suspiciously at him "You make it sound so easy" The locks were bought to stop Kaitou Kid, there was no way he could learn it in time.

"The lessons are mostly just a safeguard for if something goes wrong and you get captured or something" The boy admitted "You might lose a key while I'm preoccupied, you won't have to be fast" Kaito offered him a smile "I'll keep the distractions up until you've gotten away so taking a few minutes per a lock or to find a better route won't hurt" Indigos gleamed as Kaito suddenly held up a weird device in his damaged hand "This thing can vibrate locks until they click, it can be loud though so I'd need you to signal me to make lots of noise"

"I see" Ginzo accepted the device as Kaito held it out "Why do you even have this?" Kaito was already a master at picking locks.

"... Some locks need two hands and I occasionally get injured in ways that prevent me from getting past them" And blood could make things too slippery "Using it stops me from pushing my injuries"

"Okay, what else are you going to teach me?" The inspector inquired. He wasn't too worried about getting past locks with all of the other's plans.

Kaito grinned "I'll teach you how to navigate vents silently, it looks really simple but it's not" The task force members that'd tried the vents had been loud, avoiding them had been way too easy.

Ginzo grimaced "But I won't be small at the heist"

The boy raised a brow at Ginzo's comment "I make myself bigger at heists remember?" He propped his hands on his hips "It will be the most important thing that I'm going to teach you for the heist since you won't be out in the open" Ginzo's role was one of stealth, his own was to avoid the gem and be a good distraction.

"I suppose they won't be too dusty or filled with spiders..." At least not compared to the vents of buildings that don't hold gems.

Kaito shivered "Lucky you, I dislike crawling through spider webs" Even cobwebs were gross "It was pretty bad when I first started"

"...That sounds horrible"

The boy nodded "It was, I kept feeling spiders that weren't actually there crawling on me" The feeling only really stopped once he bathed himself "Sometimes I'd ignore it, only for a real spider to show up"

That sounded very unpleasant "I am very grateful that you've already removed the webs" Ginzo breathed.

"Yeah you'll be fine, unless you take a path that I've never taken"

Ginzo blinked "Those exist?" He'd have thought that Kaito would know every inch of Japan's museums.

Indigos narrowed "Upkeeping strange routes served no purpose other than needless discomfort" It just wasn't worth the unease. He wasn't scared of spiders... He just hated the feeling of webs and spiders crawling on him real or not.

"I see..." Ginzo grimaced "I'll try not to take such a route"

Kaito grinned "Smart choice, I'll give you a map to help" 

Chapter 101: Chapter 100

Notes:

Written April 21 2021
Posted on Wattpad May 15 2021
Posted here November 5 2021

Chapter Text

The next few days had ended up being quite interesting to say the least, at least in Ginzo's opinion they had been. He'd learned how to use the vibration powered lock picking device, which had been a lot louder than he'd thought it would be. The inspector had also gained a new respect for Kaito's vent navigating skills. Traversing the damn things was difficult, more so than he'd thought it'd be.

At least the temporary cures lasted for over 2 days, not much longer though. Seeing green capsules instead of neither purple or blue had been a surprise, though the sour taste left much to be desired, mainly because he knew that Kaito could have made them taste good. What had surprised him the most however, was that the boy had actually stopped working on the green version and was actually already looking into something else. Whenever Ginzo had inquired about it, Kaito had just offered an uneasy smile before telling him that the next colour would probably be a light purple. Which basically told him nothing.

Ginzo eyed Kaito curiously, Kaito hadn't gone into another panic, but the boy was visibly tense "Is there something wrong?" He inquired, he was currently taking a break in his vent endeavours.

Kaito seemed to hesitate before responding "No there's actually nothing wrong, I'm just being paranoid" He sighed.

The inspector nodded, noting that Kaito obviously didn't want to elaborate "Then what's bugging you?" Ginzo raised a brow "Don't think that I didn't notice that you've been wanting to say something to me" Kaito had been approaching him looking nervous before seemingly changing his mind before starting to talk about random things. The inspector highly doubted that a conversation about plants would make Kaito nervous.

"It's nothing bad really" Kaito looked away "I'll tell you later" The boy stretched, sitting up from where he'd been on the floor "Since you're still big, I'm going to head out and get tonight's dinner" They didn't have any chicken left in the fridge. With that Kaito hurried out the door, leaving Ginzo alone with the liberated vent that was sitting in the middle of their living room.

Ginzo sighed, at least the other was willing to tell him eventually, that was better than nothing. Though watching Kaito stumble out the door had been kinda sad, hopefully the boy didn't slip on ice again. Ginzo eyed the vent, deciding that he'd had enough of crawling around for now and instead of going back to his practice, he went over to fix up the boots Kaito had knocked over in his hasty retreat.

The inspector paused as he straightened out a boot, picking up a tiny plastic box that'd somehow fallen inside of said boot. Had Kaito dropped it in his rush? The boot's soft padding must have muffled it's fall. Curious, Ginzo opened it "Oh" He blinked at the lavender coloured capsule inside, why had Kaito been carrying it around? It must be complete, otherwise it wouldn't have left the lab. With a shrug, the inspector pocketed it, he'd take it when he shrunk again. He trusted Kaito's abilities and they hadn't failed them yet. He went to go watch tv.

A little while later, Kaito was panicking a bit as he accepted the change for his purchase. There was a hole in his pocket, the pocket where he'd kept the latest cure... It was basically poison for anyone but Ginzo... It also looked pretty, something a very young child wouldn't hesitate to put in their mouth.

Kaito grimaced as he left the store, it had started snowing again, that wasn't good. The boy hurriedly retraced his steps, hoping that he'd lost the pill recently instead of when he'd left the lab. Kaito really really didn't want some kid to end up dead because of his carelessness. He ended up searching for a few hours before giving up, thankfully the cool weather kept the chicken from going bad.

Ginzo raised a brow when Kaito came back a few hours late looking very frazzled "What happened?" Surely a trip to the store couldn't go too badly could it?

"I misplaced something dangerous and couldn't find it" Kaito admitted, feeling guilty for giving up so soon.

"The pill?"

Kaito blinked "You have it?!"

"I did, but I took it since you've been having me change back right away lately" Since there'd been many different versions of the cure, the two of them hadn't been too worried about him developing a resistance. Ginzo frowned as he watched Kaito pale, the poor boy looked terrified "Was it not safe? It didn't hurt at all and I feel fine"

The boy stuttered "I wasn't sure about it yet..." It's origins were sketchy which made him nervous. Kaito hurried over to Ginzo's side "Are you sure that you're okay?" He bit his lip "You should rest just in case, I'll handle supper"

Ginzo rolled his eyes "I'm fine, making supper won't kill me"

"But what if you melt?" Kaito's words were a low mumble.

"Why the hell would I melt?" Ginzo eyed the boy funny.

"The original poison might reactivate since the cure was weird" Kaito fretted "It was meant to destroy your DNA... That kinda sounds like melting into nothing to me" That was why he'd been hesitating! The cure wasn't completely science born and was basically a bio-hazard in itself.

Ginzo sighed, resting a hand on Kaito's shoulder "I'm pretty sure that I'd be in a lot of pain if that started to happen" He paused "And what do you mean when you said that the cure was weird?"

The boy grimaced, indigos wide with worry "I was clumsy and got my blood mixed in it and decided 'why not?' when Akako said my blood had some magic in it"

Okay... Now he was starting to understand where some of Kaito's worry was coming from "But you must have tested it on the samples like you did the others. I know you wouldn't have left the lab with it unless it passed"

Kaito gave a small reluctant nod "It did pass..." His voice was small "It worked perfectly" He bit his lip "What if it lasts until the middle of the heist then wears off?" The shrinking part might be extra painful if the growing had been painless.

Chapter 102: Chapter 101

Notes:

Written May 1 2021
Posted on Wattpad May 22 2021
Posted here November 5 2021

Chapter Text

Ginzo sighed, Kaito was such a worrier when it came to others "I trust in your skills, if the tests came out all right then it's fine" He gave Kaito's shoulder a quick pat "I already took it so worrying about it would just waste time that we could be using to prepare for the heist instead" They couldn't undo what he'd already done.

Kaito nervously bit his lip "You're right..." But if you start feeling funny tell me immediately, I don't care if it's in the middle of the heist or not" Ginzo's health was more important than the heist. 

"Okay" That sounded fair. He glanced over at the duct "Should we move on to real ducts?" There was only so much duct that could fit inside the living room without it becoming a hazard. 

The boy was silent for a few moments before nodding in agreement, he was still feeling frazzled about the pill but did his best to shove it out of his mind "Yeah, I know the perfect place for you to practice" He started heading towards the door.

"Wait"

Kaito blinked, turning around in confusion "What?"

Ginzo smirked "You're still carrying the chicken" Did Kaito really forget?

Blushing, Kaito looked down at his own wrist to see that yes, he did still have the chicken "I'll put this away first then" He hurried over to the fridge, shoving the chicken inside "We're going to have you practice at Haido City Hotel"

"Why there exactly?" Ginzo inquired as he grabbed the outdoor clothing that Kaito often used for his Kuroba Kite disguise. They really hadn't thought to get him outdoor clothing for his real form since he could always just use what they had instead.

Indigos gleamed "It's a big building so it would be hard to locate you if anyone gets suspicious" Kaito smiled "Plus it's a hotel so any weird noises can be blamed on people in different rooms" Many different people stayed in hotels and he'd come across some very questionable rooms, it would be more shocking if Ginzo did actually get caught.

"That makes sense" There was no heist so people wouldn't immediately come to the conclusion that someone was moving around in the vents. They headed outside and called a taxi. It was still snowing.

When they arrived at their destination, instead of heading inside, Kaito led him to the back. The boy grinned as he raised his arm, shooting a grappling hook at the roof "We're climbing up" Kaito gave the line a testing tug, connected a different wire to Ginzo, then started his climb. He wouldn't be able to catch the other if Ginzo fell so there'd be no point in him being in the back.

Ginzo swallowed nervously, hesitating for a few moments before copying Kaito "You make it look a lot easier that it actually is" The inspector spoke through grit teeth. It took a lot of strength to actually pull himself up, thankfully despite having been shrunk for so long, his arms hadn't weakened too much.

Kaito easily made it to the top long before Ginzo, so he just stared over the edge to watch the other struggle. He wasn't worried about Ginzo falling, he'd attached a safety line to him just to be safe since climbing a building could be difficult for those not used to it. The boy smiled to himself, he'd probably be able to climb this one without a rope if he really wanted to. Eventually, Ginzo did indeed make it to the top. Though he was panting and exhausted as a result. Kaito snickered as the other just laid down on the roof "Are you okay?" He asked teasingly.

"How am I supposed to practice after that?" Ginzo panted, too tired to move. His arms felt weak.

"You'll be fine after a short rest" Part of the exhaustion was probably from the other's nerves. Ginzo wasn't that out of shape despite being mostly housebound for so long. The daily pills that he'd been giving Ginzo had made sure the other would stay in shape. Ginzo just grunted in response, making Kaito laugh "You've done more chasing me, you're fine" 

"I can't believe I just did that while it was snowing" Ginzo breathed once he caught his breath. He hadn't questioned it until he was about half way up, probably because Kaito had made it seem like it was nothing to worry about.

"You were clipped to the line, it was completely safe" Kaito grinned as he unlatched one of the vent covers "Now get in there and practice"

"Wait, you're not going to come with me?" He only had the heist vents mapped out, not these ones "I'll get lost"

Kaito shrugged "If you really get stuck just stay still, I'll eventually come and get you" He stepped around a patch of ice as he gently put the cover down "I won't be with you at the heist" There wasn't enough time for him to slowly work Ginzo up to being able to do it by himself. The inspector needed to learn it now, not later.

Ginzo let out a sigh, shoulders drooping "Fine, just don't leave me for too long" Since he didn't have an actual location for his objective, he'd just go about randomly.

"I won't, the tracker will tell me if you're still for over 5 minutes" A small device suddenly appeared in Kaito's damaged hand.

"Of course..." He wasn't even going to question the tracker, he should have known better than to think that Kaito would search for him blindly. It would have been easy to miss each other if they were both moving around in the vents.

"Now go before it gets too late" Kaito made a shooing motion with his hand.

Ginzo rolled his eyes "I'm going" He entered the vent. Thankfully the vent was actually very clean, he just hoped that it stayed that way. Somehow Ginzo doubted that. Hopefully moving backwards wasn't too hard, that way he could just avoid any dodgy paths. 

Once Kaito was all alone on the roof, the boy sighed and sat next to the vent. He had his phone so he shouldn't get too bored as he waited.

Chapter 103: Chapter 102 Lavender Worries?

Notes:

Written May 8 2021
Posted on Wattpad June 5 2021
Posted here November 5 2021

Chapter Text

Instead of playing games on his phone like a normal kid, Kaito instead used the device to go over all of the different cure formulas that he'd made so far. All of them were similar, yet just different enough to be able to be classified as a new version. Though the lavender coloured one had been the most different when compared to the previous version so far, Kaito wanted to know what exactly went down chemically to make it work as it had. Unfortunately, magic was hard to logically retrace the steps needed to turn the previous one into the current one. He couldn't use equations to find the answer.

Not knowing was the most scary part even though he'd seen the testing results with his own eyes. He just didn't want anything bad to happen to the inspector as a result of his clumsiness. The boy had already started to recreate the lavender cure from the green using equations, or at least he was attempting to. Without the proper numbers and substances being known, it was kinda hard. He did save a few of the results though to look at later and maybe test out.

...If only the fancy lab computers had been able to identify all of the lavender cure's components, everything would have been so much easier then. Kaito scowled, he shouldn't have even run the tests after getting the errors that he had.

Kaito sighed, he wouldn't be able to stop worrying completely until Ginzo shrunk back down and the cure had filtered out of his system, whenever that would be. All he knew was that he was going to worry for quite a while since the one fact he knew about it was that the cure would last for quite a while. The last time he'd checked, the samples had yet to deteriorate. He'd at least wanted to see the timeline before giving Ginzo the pill... If only he hadn't dropped it.

With how he was stewing over his notes, time passed very quickly for Kaito, so Ginzo exiting the vents ended up startling him "You actually made it back" Kaito breathed, trying not to look as surprised as he felt. He'd been expecting that he'd have to fetch the other.

Ginzo huffed "Of course I did" Though that didn't mean that it hadn't taken him a while to get out once he'd decided that it was time to leave the vents. They all almost looked the same so traversing them had been a lot different than it had been at the apartment.

Kaito smiled, getting up from where he'd been sitting in the snow. His limbs felt stiff and his butt was numb from the cold "Did you have any problems?" He inquired, since he couldn't just assume that everything went well.

The inspector shook his head "I didn't hear anybody get suspicious and I only hit my knees or elbows a few times near the start. After that he'd been more careful since hitting the vents had hurt quite a bit. He shivered, the air felt extra cold after being within the heated vents while wearing winter clothing for so long "It's cold out here" He rubbed his arms in an attempt to warm them up "We should get back" Ginzo eyed Kaito "You're probably freezing"

"Just a bit stiff and wet" Kaito shrugged, his body heat had made the snow under him extra wet "I should have stood instead of sitting in the snow" He admitted "I'm fine th-!" He flailed as the ground slipped from under his feet.

Ginzo startled as Kaito suddenly yelped and grabbed onto him before smirking "So you really weren't lying when you said that you weren't good with ice" He chuckled.

Kaito scowled, cheeks flushed from more than just the cold as he let go of Ginzo's arms and straightened himself "Let's go back to our apartment" He didn't want to deal with any teasing. He really hated ice, especially when it was hidden beneath the snow.

The inspector chuckled, ruffling Kaito's hair "Okay" Kaito looked so small when he was his proper height, the blush made the boy look endearing in a childish way.

"After tonight you're going to spend the rest of your time practising in different vents" Kaito stated, heist plans had been built upon until neither of them could think of anything to add. The only thing left to do was to make sure that Ginzo's skills were passable and up to the task. The boy eyed the other "I'm also going to take a blood sample once we get back" Before they started dinner, that way it would be easier to work with.

Ginzo rolled his eyes "If you want to, I won't stop you" He wasn't a big fan of needles, he wasn't scared of them, they just made his arms sore. It was fine though, Kaito only took blood from him when he was worried and the boy technically had a good reason to be worried.

The inspector wasn't too worried though, Kaito's lab skills were scarily good. Not many people could reverse an unknown drug with just past and present DNA structures for comparison. Though not many people were weird enough to memorize other's DNA... It made him wonder how others would attempt to tackle the problem, would they be adventurous like Kaito? Or would they see no point in trying without the original formula?

"It's been in your system long enough that a sample should give me a decent amount of info" Hopefully. He really didn't want to see a bunch of errors crop up, though that would be better than seeing moderate to high cell death... Honestly Kaito would be happy to just confirm that Ginzo wasn't dying a deceptively painless death.

"I don't know much about high level sciencey stuff so I'll just take your word for it" Ginzo also doubted that the cures and poison worked like normal drugs because they were so weird. He may be wrong though.

Kaito nodded "I'll make sure to be back in time before supper is done" He liked the fancy machines that automated stuff for him. Though he'd make sure to keep some spare blood just in case said machines failed.

Chapter 104: Chapter 103 Death

Notes:

Written May 15 2021
Posted on Wattpad June 12 2021
Posted here November 5 2021

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Time seemed to pass much too quickly, and before they knew it, it had already reached the time of the heist. Neither of them felt ready. Ginzo glanced over towards Kaito, the boy was dressed up as his thief persona, while he himself was clad in dark clothing and a face mask. If one didn't know the other, they'd say that Kaito looked calm. Ginzo knew Kaito though, the boy was a huge ball of nerves.

"Be careful" Kaito breathed, checking the time. He was due to start soon. The thief let out a calming breath, forcing his Kid persona to overtake his own "I'm gonna go play with the task force now!" He disappeared in a small puff of smoke. Ginzo waved his hand in a futile attempt to keep the smoke out of his face, a few moments later he heard a few startled shouts. Kaito had started the heist.

"His job is the more dangerous one..." The inspector grumbled softly as he entered the ventilation system. He knew which routes to take, so making his way to the Moon's Wish had ended up being very easy. Any accidental bangs that he'd made were covered by the ruckus of whatever Kaito was doing. Honestly Ginzo was a bit offended that the other seemed to be using small fireworks occasionally.

When he did reach his destination, Ginzo couldn't help but glower down at the diamond, it looked just like any other gem. Yet it apparently had enough magic in it to turn Kaito into a nervous wreck. Glancing around, he noted that nobody was in the room. Kaito's plan had worked. The inspector waited before dropping to the ground when he heard another round of fireworks going off.

He cautiously approached the gem, squinting at it with suspicion. He didn't see anything off with the glass case... Not wanting to risk lifting it, he cut a hole with a glass cutter, using a suction cup to remove the glass. Huh, Ginzo blinked when nothing seemed to trigger an alarm. Was the task force really slacking that much without him? He pocketed the gem.

All the glass cases shattered as a rain of bullets flew through the room. Ginzo cursed under his breath, barely missing getting shot as he dove for a floor vent that'd been unlocked the night before. He was in pain, but not the 'oh, I was shot!' kind of pain so some of the glass must have cut him.

Despite having entered the vents, he apparently wasn't very safe it seems. The inspector grimaced as a flaming piece of cloth and other flammable things were dropped into the vents behind him. Shit, were they trying to smoke him out?! The fire wasn't spreading but a lot of smoke was being produced. He clicked the emergency button to alert Kaito of his location before hurrying down a different route, grateful for the face mask that was covering his face.

They had the gem, mission accomplished, now all they needed to do was escape with said gem. It was harder than he'd expected it to be. It didn't help that more than just that one vent was apparently smoking. He would have been out of them by now if that hadn't been the case!

The sound of chaos surrounded him, echoing into the vents. People were running, people were screaming, guns were firing, and the vents shook occasionally, or at least he hoped that it was just the vents because what the hell?! The Crows couldn't seriously be using bombs right?! Ginzo just grit his teeth as he looked for a good exit, one that didn't lead into a main hallway. Hopefully he'd meet up with Kaito soon.

Suddenly being yanked out of the vents was startling, especially since he was currently a full grown man. Ginzo only just managed to stop himself from punching Kaito in the face "What now?" He felt too pressed for time to question how Kaito had so forcefully removed him from the vents.

"We run and don't get shot" Kaito nervously replied, having removed his Kid disguise and lengthened limbs. They were both covered in soot, and small traces of blood. The boy visibly trembled as he took Ginzo's sleeve and began to lead him through the smokey hallways "They're killing everyone they come across, we can't stay here" He felt sick, and the gem being so close wasn't helping.

The floor shook a bit "Why are they being so aggressive?!" Ginzo hissed as they ran. They were more subtle before.

"They really want the stupid gem" Kaito sniffed. Damn it, he can't cry now! "Snake said so" They paused at a corner, with Kaito peeking around it before they carried on.

"Snake?! Are you okay?" Kaito had tears streaming down his face but that might just be from the gem.

"He's dead"

"What?!"

Kaito forced his voice to sound calm "He was blocking me from getting to you" What was one more crime added to his list right? He choked a bit on his words "The staircase is there, we can go through a window after going down it" Ginzo couldn't fly a glider and he was not going to abandon him.

Ginzo spluttered, alarmed at Kaito's words. Fuck, Kaito would need even more therapy now... As if he didn't already need it in the first place. Before he could properly respond, he felt himself getting shoved as Kaito tackled him "Wha-" The inspector's brows furrowed with worry as Kaito seemed to slump against him, he snatched the boy up and ran before another bullet came for them "Kaito?" No response "Kaito!" Ginzo hissed, too busy to check on him.

"Yeah?"

Kaito's voice was soft. Ginzo didn't like it. He kicked a partially cracked window, cursing at the recoil that went through his foot. He ignored it in favour of ducking into a few bushes. They'd expect them to escape so hopefully they'd be passed over "Kaito, were you shot?" He got his answer when he actually stopped to look at the boy, he was bleeding a lot. A few more shouts alerted Ginzo of incoming danger "Hang on" There wasn't any time to treat Kaito.

Notes:

So I gave lots of extra chapters today, only to stop here...
*Cackles*

Chapter 105: Chapter 104 Goodbye

Notes:

Written May 16 2021
Posted on Wattpad June 19 2021
Posted here November 12 2021

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The boy smiled softly, a bit delirious from the blood loss "I trust you" He relaxed against Ginzo's chest, too weak to move. He felt oddly calm for some reason.

Ginzo scowled, extremely worried for the boy "Of course you do so shut up and rest" Kaito was really hurt, he probably shouldn't even be moved. Ginzo carried the boy anyways, it was less risky to get away. He called Danashi as he ran with Kaito, telling the other about their current situation.

"Keibu" Kaito had been silent up until now "Thank you for being with me" He felt numb, it was weird. But it made it easier for him to speak "Thought I'd die alone"

"You're not dying!" Ginzo hissed, eyes burning as he felt his shoulders slump.

Kaito hummed softly "Feels like it..."

Ginzo crouched down, gently laying Kaito on the ground. They were far enough away, he needed to put pressure on Kaito's wounds "Where'd you get shot?" There was too much blood to tell.

"M'back" Kaito tried to reach out, but felt too weak to move "Hold me?" The ground was cold, he was cold, Ginzo was warm.

The inspector fought a small whine in the back of his throat. He wasn't stupid, Kaito had lost too much blood "Of course" The snow easily fought any denial that tried to make itself heard. Ginzo gently picked Kaito back up, cradling the boy tightly against his chest. It was better than seeing the snow stain red. He was still putting pressure on the boy's back this way too.

"No pain" He just felt weak, really weak.

"That's" Ginzo swallowed a lump in his throat "I'm glad" He was grateful for whatever mercy was cutting away Kaito's pain. He was silent for a few moments "Want to see the gem?"

"Yeah..." It was hard to be scared of its power when he was dying anyways. Kaito let out a choked laugh when a red light burst from the diamond. No wonder they were so murderous... His vision blurred, he closed his eyes.

"Kaito?" The laugh had surprised him. When the boy didn't respond he tried again "Kaito?" Please, Kaito has got to stop doing this. It was nerve wracking "Kaito?" Ginzo gave the boy a small shake, despairing when he realized that Kaito had lost consciousness.

Why was Danashi taking so long?! Kaito was dying! The gem dropped to the ground, discarded in favour of holding Kaito even tighter. How was the damn thing even glowing anyways? Didn't it need moonlight to do that? Wait, it was Pandora! A gem of life! The inspector quickly snatched it back up, desperately pressing it against Kaito's cheek "Heal him you stupid rock!" His hand was trembling as he waited. The gem's glowing stopped, but Kaito didn't seem to change.

"So that's the gem you two were after?"

Ginzo jolted, taking a second to realize that Akako had appeared "Heal him" The gem wasn't doing anything and Akako knew magic so maybe she could help instead.

The witch smiled darkly "I do not have the ability to heal, Lucifer's prediction will come to pass" She eyed the boy, annoyed that he would no longer be under her contract "Pandora did what it could under the cloudy sky" Her eyes glinted a dangerous red "It will need centuries to regain its power, what a waste" It was a powerful gem that had many abilities depending on the circumstances in which it was used.

Growling, Ginzo turned his attention back to Kaito "Why the hell are you even here if you're not going to help?"

"Kaito fascinates me" Akako replied "I'd like to witness his end brought forth by his own stupidity" His strange magic that she'd damaged, and his skills, both made the boy interesting in her eyes.

"Get out of here you heartless witch!" He didn't care about angering her.

"You hurt him you know" Akako smirked, enjoying the confused look she got in return before leaving. She'd confirmed Kaito's approaching demise, she didn't have to watch now.

Shortly after the witch left, an ambulance wheeled up to them. Danashi hopped out of the back "Get him inside Dr.Kalos is already waiting for him" He ordered the paramedics who quickly took Kaito. He then turned to Ginzo "I have someone bringing over my car right as we speak"

It all happened so fast, Kaito was just in his arms, and now the boy was being loaded into the ambulance. Ginzo was silent as he numbly looked down at himself, there was so much blood "I want to be with him" He... Wasn't sure if Kaito wasn't already too far gone or not.

Danashi's gaze softened as he took note of how the inspector was trembling "You'd be in the way, there's more medics in that ambulance than usual"

"I-" Ginzo's shoulders slumped as a wave of weariness hit him "She said I hurt him" Now that Akako was gone, he allowed her words to sink in "I moved him a lot" And he didn't bleed out fast enough to die quickly... "I made him bleed faster"

Pursing his lips, Danashi nodded "Probably, but that means that the injury shouldn't worsen anymore" He sighed at how Ginzo seemed to wilt at his response "You both probably would have died for sure if you hadn't moved him"

"He was so weak, he couldn't even move" Ginzo's eyes burned, fingers clenching anxiously.

"He's being treated now, Dr.Kalos is an amazing doctor" Danashi assured. He wasn't the Hakuba's private doctor for nothing after all. Ginzo opened his mouth to speak, only to close it when Danashi's car pulled up. The two of them quickly got inside, leaving the one who'd driven it to them with some taxi fare and a bit extra for the trouble.

Kaito was going to be alright, Kaito had promised him that he wouldn't die tonight. He wasn't going to let the other break his promise to him... Damn it, Ginzo clasped his hands together, resting his elbows on his knees. He stared down at his hands, he couldn't do anything to help. He just, he just hoped that Kaito would still be alive when he got there.

Notes:

^-^... The title was good

Chapter 106: Chaptr 105 Aoko

Notes:

Written May 28 2021
Posted on Wattpad July 3 2021
Posted here November 19 2021

Chapter Text

For Aoko, being told that her father was dead had been the worst thing she'd ever heard. With her mother having already passed, the girl had been all alone. Or so she'd thought. Konosuke Jii was apparently a relative of hers, the kind old man had ended up taking care of her. She hadn't even been forced to move, instead, the kind old man had somewhat moved into her house, taking the spare room as his own. While it had hurt to be surrounded by everything, Aoko had been very grateful that she hadn't been forced to leave everything that she'd ever known.

Aoko had never met or heard of Jii until the day of her father's death, but she'd eventually ended up trusting him. Jii was very friendly and understanding. He comforted her and helped her grieve.

Then four months after her whole world had shifted, it shifted once more. Jii had told her that her father's death had been fake, that he was alive and well. It had hurt her a lot, but it was hard to stay angry when she was just so happy that her dad was okay. Aoko had ended up crying for a good while before calming down enough to listen.

Her dad had gotten poisoned, and someone trustworthy was working on a way to safely get her father back into her life. Bad and horrible people would hurt and kill so many people including herself if they found out that her dad was alive. It was scary, terrifying even. Jii wouldn't go into any of the specific details, mainly because he himself only knew the bare minimum.

The trusted person seemed to be protecting Jii as well, the old man had eventually admitted that he'd only worked with the person once, and he'd put them in serious danger that one time. Dangerous blackmail had been made, leading to an accidental death and an extremely young orphaned toddler. That had been the first and last time that Jii had met the trusted person up until he'd been asked to take care of her.

The danger was enough for Aoko to reluctantly agree that having her genuinely grieve for her father had probably been a good idea. It had hurt so much, but at least she could look forward to seeing her dad again one day. Jii wasn't a family member like she'd been told, but at least he'd treated her well.

The months after the revelation had passed by a bit more easily than before, though Christmas had been more difficult. Thankfully it hadn't been as hard as her birthday had been, she'd still thought that her dad was dead back then. Everything had been going as normally as it could have been, up until Jii suddenly woke her up and asked her to get dressed in the middle of the night, or arguably very early in the morning.

"Jii-chan, what's wrong?" Aoko groggily rubbed the sleep out of her eyes as she exited her room. She wasn't used to waking up so early.

The old man tensed, coat already in hand "I'm taking you to your father"

Blue widened, Aoko was suddenly alert "Dad?!" She bounced a bit on her heels "Aoko can really see him again?!"

Jii nodded, a tired smile on his face "I got an unexpected call from someone who gave me a specific code word" Why had Hakuba Danashi been involved?! He held out the girl's pale blue coat to her "It's finally time for you to see your father again"

Aoko excitedly grabbed her coat "Aoko can't wait for you to meet him! He'll be so happy to know that Aoko was okay" She hurriedly slipped her boots on.

"I'm just dropping you off Aoko-chan, my presence would probably compromise whatever cover story they'll be using" Jii replied softly.

The girl frowned "So you're just going to leave?" But he'd started to feel like family to her...

"It's for everyone's protection, on record you've been home schooled in an orphanage this whole time instead of here"

"Oh..." So that's why he'd requested her to not talk about him to anyone. It also explained why Jii had brought so little into the house.

Jii smiled, ruffling her hair "Taking care of you was a pleasure Aoko-chan" He didn't want to risk her safety "Now let's get you back to your father"

"Okay" Aoko nodded, eyes burning "Thank you for taking care of Aoko Jii-chan" She was thirteen now, a teenager, she could handle this. They headed outside, with Jii driving the two of them "The hospital?..." Aoko's heart sank, had her dad gotten hurt?

"You're father isn't the one who's hurt" Jii assured softly, opening the door to let her out "Look for a blond man named Hakuba Danashi, he's expecting you"

The girl nodded, biting her lip "Take care Jii-chan" She quickly hugged him before running inside.

Jii's eyes softened as he watched her, he really hoped that whatever story was made worked out. He drove off to go collect what little he'd left in the house.

When Aoko barged in, she forced down her embarrassment when everyone's gaze turned towards her. She quickly looked around, she couldn't see her dad anywhere.

"Are you Aoko-chan?" A large brown haired man with a bushy moustache inquired. He seemed to be quite stressed.

The girl gave a small nod "Hakuba-san?"

Danashi smiled softly "I'll take you to your father"

He knew who she was here for, so he must be the right person "Please" She wanted her dad. She followed Danashi down the halls and into a private room. Aoko froze, her dad looked different, his hair was styled a bit messy and had been dyed brown... But there was no mistaking it, that was her father. Tears welled up as she launched herself at him "Dad!"

Ginzo jolted from where he'd been sitting in the chair next to Kaito's bed "Aoko?!" Before he knew it, he found himself hugging his crying daughter, shedding a few tears of his own. He held Aoko close, he'd missed his baby girl. Just what was she doing here?

"Aoko missed you so much!" The girl sobbed, clinging on to him as tightly as she could "So much!"

Chapter 107: Chapter 106 Story of Concern

Notes:

Written June 13 2021
Posted on Wattpad July 10 2021
Posted here November 19 2021

NEXT UPDATE is on December 3 2021

Chapter Text

"What are you doing here?" The inspector nearly choked on his words, thoroughly exhausted and just feeling too many conflicting emotions. Ginzo was almost afraid to let go of his daughter.

"Aoko was dropped off here" Aoko sniffed "Aoko thought you were dead for months until Jii-chan told her that you weren't" Knowing that her dad was alive was a lot different than actually seeing him alive. She was so happy.

Ginzo's gut wrenched painfully at his daughter's words "I'm so sorry Aoko"

"It's fine" The girl wiped at her eyes "You were protecting Aoko and hiding from the bad guys" She paused, suddenly taking notice of the boy lying unconscious in the hospital bed "Who is that?" Her brows furrowed witch concern as she noticed her father's bloodied clothes and bandaged foot for the first time "Did the bad guys hurt him too?"

The inspector nodded sadly "They hurt Kaito" It was hard to find the right words to explain just how much the Crows had harmed the boy "They basically destroyed his world which left him all alone with a lot of pain to deal with" If Aoko was here, then it should be okay to be free with his words "Despite his pain, he protected and helped me" What would have happened if he hadn't been found by Kaito?

Aoko turned towards the bed, blue eyes wide with shock "But he's so young!" The boy in the bed was so tiny and the surrounding machines made him look even smaller. She was a lot taller than him too!

Despite the situation, Ginzo cracked a small smile "He's actually your age, but stuff happened and he didn't grow right"

The girl eyed Kaito with newfound concern. Kaito must be amazing, she couldn't imagine taking on bad guys "Is he going to be okay?" There were a lot of bandages, and the straps holding him in place were weird "Aoko doesn't understand why he's restrained"

"Kaito isn't in any danger of dying anymore" His blood loss hadn't been as bad as it'd seemed, thank god "But the doctor is still running some tests to make sure that he'll be okay after he wakes up" Ginzo frowned "He was shot somewhere in the lower back" He hesitated, guilt once again taking a hold of him "I moved him around a lot so they want to make sure that nothing is wrong with him" The surgery hadn't been long at all, the bullet had been whole so they'd just stopped the bleeding after extracting it and had given him a few blood transfusions. Once Kaito was no longer in immediate danger of dying, they started running tests on him.

Aoko nodded, still somewhat shocked "It would be bad if he moved and hurt himself then"

Ginzo contemplated his daughter's words before replying "Aoko, do you want to know more about Kaito?" He wanted his daughter to know. At the girls nod, he smiled and began to tell her everything from the start.

He told her about the poison, his shock at Kaitou Kid's identity. How Kaito never truly knew what his parents looked like until after they'd died. Telling her how Kaito hadn't really had a name had been painful. He also told her about what he knew of Kaito's past, how he used to intentionally harm himself emotionally and physically out of guilt by selling himself despite the many talents that the boy had. Ginzo told her of Kaito's mental and emotional problems, how he'd been forced to ignore a lot of them because of their circumstances. He told her about the Crows, magic, and how they'd actually managed to find Pandora. Ginzo told Aoko everything, especially how much he'd come to love and adore Kaito. The tale ended with both of them crying.

"Aoko... Can't believe that she used to hate Kaito" She'd blamed Kid for stealing her father away. And in a way, she'd been kinda right... But being right was painful, doing heists just because he was lonely? That was sad, very sad. It hurt to think about. The girl sniffed "Aoko doesn't hate him anymore" She just felt really sad for him, even she could tell that the other wasn't okay just from her father's tale.

Ginzo's gaze softened, his daughter was such a great person "He was really focused on reuniting us"

The girl nodded "Aoko could tell..." Aoko wiped at her eyes, her expression souring "What's going to happen to Kaito?" Kaito had very few people in his life from what she knew.

"I'm not sure, but I know that Hakuba-san is probably working on it" He rubbed the heel of his palm against his forehead "Everything just happened all so fast, I haven't been paying much attention to anything besides Kaito's health"

Aoko pursed her lips "Aoko doesn't think that Kaito would be happy if you just worried about him" Not if the boy was able to be guilt tripped with concern.

Ginzo sighed "I know, but-" He looked down at his hands "He was bleeding out in my arms, and I could do nothing but wait and give him what little comfort I could" Kaito's small voice, asking to be held... He couldn't stop himself from thinking about it. How scared had Kaito been? Or... An uneasy feeling churned in his gut, had Kaito been happy that he was dying?

"Aoko could tell you about what she's been up to?" Her dad had told her, and while painful, her story wasn't as nearly as horrible as his had been "That way you'll be distracted"

The inspector blinked before nodding "I'd love to know about how you were, I missed you so much" Aoko smiled and told him all about how everything had gone after that fateful heist. At the end, Ginzo ended up giving Aoko a big hug. Kaito had really kept his word on making sure that Aoko would be alright "You were very strong Aoko"

Aoko blushed, her response cut off when Dr. Kalos came back carrying a clipboard.

"Is there anything wrong?" Ginzo inquired, alert.

Dr. Kalos sighed "The injury was very messy on the inside, but for some reason it shows signs of partial healing" It was very odd "Unfortunately, his spinal cord received additional trauma after the initial injury"

Chapter 108: Chapter 107 Condition, Reuinion

Notes:

Written June 22 2021
Posted on Wattpad July 17 2021
Posted here December 3 2021

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Ginzo suddenly felt ill "What does that mean?!" It couldn't mean that- No it just couldn't. He was probably coming to the wrong conclusion. That was it.

The doctor eyed the inspector with something akin to pity, it was very easy to tell that Ginzo really cared for the boy "Well" He cleared his throat "Kaito-kun is paralyzed from the waist down" It was a damning diagnosis, especially for a child so young.

Aoko covered her mouth in shock, horrified "Oh no..." That was just, too cruel. Ginzo was silent.

"However" Dr. Kalos quickly continued before Ginzo could interrupt him "For some reason, there are already signs of his spinal cord trying to heal" It was impossible, but it was happening. Dr. Kalos couldn't help but be astounded by his findings. He locked his own gaze with Ginzo's "I believe that with a lot of work, it may be possible to one day restore his mobility if his body continues to try to fix itself"

Ginzo's back straightened, was this the effect of Pandora? "So Kaito will be able to walk again?" He wanted to believe it so much.

"Possibly" It wasn't a guarantee, those could lead to lawsuits. Dr. Kalos ran a hand through his hair "It would take years and countless small surgeries, some of which could possibly regress his healing if done wrong" The boy was a medical anomaly. The doctor glanced at Kaito's unconscious form "There's never been a case like his so it would be all trial and error, something that I'm not sure if insurance would be able to cover enough of" He stated.

The inspector's heart fell, so Kaito would be paralyzed long enough for it to affect the way he'd have to live "Thank you, I'll talk with Kaito when he wakes up"

Aoko hugged her father "It's not your fault, Kaito would be dead without your help" Her dad was no doubt blaming himself. She went quiet for a few moments before continuing "Dad..." She pursed her lips "Kaito has nowhere to go now, right? If he goes to jail like that..." It wouldn't be good.

"I know..." The inspector's words were raspy "I know damn it..." His fists clenched with frustration "We'll think of something, Hakuba-san ought to have some plans by now" The officer had been mostly scarce after dropping him off, so the guy was probably doing something. He just didn't know what that something was.

Dr. Kalos cleared his throat, feeling awkward at witnessing the scene "Unlike last time, Kaito-kun can't be considered a flight risk..." For very obvious reasons "So he shouldn't remain unconscious for too long since he doesn't require sedatives to deal with the pain" With that he stepped out before he could get caught up in any more sappy conversations. The doctor was curious about why Kaito may end up in jail, but he wouldn't butt in. He was being paid to mind his own business after all. The Hakubas paid very very well, he'd be a fool to risk losing his job out of simple curiosity.

Aoko turned her attention towards Kaito, a little excited to properly meet the one who'd saved her father "I want to help him"

Ginzo smiled, ruffling his daughter's hair "We will help him, somehow" Both father and daughter jolted when a woman suddenly burst into the room. Though the inspector relaxed when he recognized the new arrival "You're a little late Mistressan" The woman looked quite dishevelled, she'd obviously been in a rush.

Misty's face became sorrowful as she rushed over, slate glistening "I was in Osaka doing some tests..." Her voice broke "I was only contacted once I completed them" She gently ran her trembling fingers through Kaito's hair, messing it up into the way he normally had it.

Aoko eyed Misty curiously, a small blush tinting her cheeks. She was a lot more pretty than her father had let on!

The inspector nodded in understanding, it couldn't be helped that she hadn't been contacted right away "What sort of tests?"

With a small smile, Misty's finger's paused their movements "Seeing Kaito change so much, it inspired me to do better with my life" She'd just stuck to what she'd known, the thing that she'd been raised to do "I was doing the tests to complete high school" She'd been studying a lot "If I pass, I'll have the chance to apply for a collage or university"

"Amazing!" Aoko burst out, before blushing as she suddenly realized how loud she'd been.

Misty's gaze softened "Thank you Aoko-chan" Ginzo's daughter was adorable.

Aoko blinked "How do you know Aoko?"

"I doubt that Nakamori-san is the kind of person to let random little girls cling to him" Misty smiled, confused about why Ginzo's daughter was here. She glanced between Aoko and Kaito "The two of you look very similar, if I didn't know any better I'd think you were siblings" Both children had brown messy hair and bluish eyes.

Ginzo blinked, doing a double take "Huh, you're right" How had he not noticed? They didn't look like twins or anything, but it wouldn't be hard for a stranger to come to the conclusion of them possibly being related.

The young girl eyed Kaito with a strange intensity "... I've always wanted a little brother"

Confused, Ginzo gave Aoko a weird look "Kaito is older than you, he could never be your little brother"

Aoko puffed her cheeks "Kaito is tiny so the few extra months don't count, he would be the younger sibling"

Misty giggled, Aoko's childishness lightening her mood "That sounds about right, Kaito is both mentally too old and too young for his age" A result of his upbringing no doubt.

The conversation was confusing Ginzo a bit, so he just let them talk. He was glad that Misty had come, the woman was very important to Kaito and would help to explain everything once Kaito woke up. The two females talked for a bit, with Ginzo commenting off and on. This continued until Danashi came into the room, looking stressed but not horribly so.

"I've somehow managed to find a way out of this mess" Danashi breathed, it'd taken countless phone calls and more than a few favours being cashed in to get to this point.

Notes:

I've had the ending plotted since chapter 1... I can't believe that I've actually stuck to it
Almost the end~ Before book 2 that is

Chapter 109: Chapter 108 Process, Story

Notes:

Written July 2 2021
Posted on Wattpad July 24 2021
Posted here December 10 2021

Chapter Text

Kaito shifted, face scrunching up a bit before he opened his eyes. His heart rate momentarily spiked at the realization that he was in a hospital before he remembered that he'd been fine in one before. The boy just stared at the white ceiling, he was alive. How? He'd been dying, he knew it. So actually waking up again... It was a pleasant surprise.

Indigos narrowed as he suddenly realized something, he should be in a lot more pain right now. Gunshot wounds hurt, a lot. He wasn't feeling the pain that should be there, had he been kept unconscious again? Frowning, Kaito sat up to check his wound, or at least he tried to. Eyes wide, Kaito tried again using more force with his arms since his legs weren't responding.

Sitting up, Kaito braced his arms to keep himself upright as he stared at his legs. He couldn't feel them, at all. A loud curse startled him, his head whipped over to see Ginzo standing in the doorway with a bag in hand "You're still big" Kaito stated dumbly, thoughts racing too fast to keep hold of.

The inspector sighed "And you end up waking the one time nobody is in the room with you" He ran his free hand through his hair before coming over to sit next to the bed, he looked quite upset "How do you feel?" The boy didn't look like he was freaking out or anything. He glanced at the door before closing it. Hopefully they'd take the hint and keep out for now.

"I-" Kaito cut himself off with a frown before continuing "I think I'm still processing"

Ginzo nodded somberly "I promise that everything will be okay" He reached out and gave Kaito's hand a quick squeeze "I hid the gem, I'll give it to you when we leave"

Kaito's mind was still racing, the gem, Pandora, they'd found it! His fingers unconsciously clutched at the thin hospital sheets "I won" He breathed.

Grimacing, Ginzo eyed Kaito's dazed face. Thankfully Kaito seemed lucid enough to hold a proper conversation "Kaitou Kid died, taking a bullet for someone" It was the truth, the first had died like that... And the second had done so but in a different way "One of his tricks must have gone off then because there was a bright red light before the gem shattered" That part was necessary, to stop the Crows from searching "The body was retrieved but some of the hardcore Kid fans set it on fire to preserve their idol's identity, sadly the dental records showed nothing in the system"

The boy wiped his eyes, why were they even watering? "That's crazy..."

"Kid fans have always been quite eccentric" Ginzo stated softly "There were also many injuries, a lot of people got hurt. Thankfully only Kid died" The inspector met Kaito's gaze "The worst injuries belonged to two twins, both had very similar injuries. The girl died but the brother survived, though he did end up paralyzed from the waist down"

Kaito blinked a few times, confused "Why twins?" That meant that there would be a missing body since said girl didn't exist.

"You were admitted as a girl, but the magic wore off so you're a boy again" Ginzo licked his lips "It also puts more distance between you and Kid, Hakuba-san has been calling in favours left and right to get the story to stick" Everything was clean paperwork wise so far.

So he hadn't been revealed... Kaito bit his lip "But what about you?" Ginzo wasn't tiny anymore, he could be recognized.

"Ah..." Of course Kaito would be worried about that "I'm currently finishing up my rehab after being in a coma for so long. Sadly the doctors are pretty sure that I'll never remember the weeks worth of memories that I'd lost after being hit by a car at the last heist that I went to" He grimaced "I was prematurely declared missing because a newbie doctor didn't connect the dots between their unknown coma patient and the missing inspector" So much paperwork and digital work had been done to affirm everything "My survival was kept quiet to allow myself enough peace to recover, Kid fans pestering me had been a big concern since I have some memory loss"

That sounded weak... But proof was probably already being fabricated "I'm glad" Kaito replied, looking sad despite the small smile that he was offering "You can be with your daughter again" Where he was supposed to be. Indigos stared down at his legs "I can't feel anything below the waist" He'd been avoiding thinking about it.

"Yeah... Moving you around so much wasn't too bright of me" Ginzo admitted "But better like this than dead, right?" He inquired softly "You've completed your goal at least"

Oh, so that's why Ginzo had been looking so upset "At least I'll probably end up in a lower security prison, away from the extra scary criminals" Kaito offered a small smile "Escaping would be hard like this" He paused "So me ending up like this is actually a good thing" Kaito added weakly.

Ginzo's gaze softened "Why would you be arrested? You're just an injured orphan. Kaitou Kid is dead, remember?"

Kaito spluttered "That's illegal!" He hissed softly, he'd thought the story and favours were just for protection!

"You're a minor, and the few higher ups that know the truth have agreed that you've been punished enough" Ginzo stated. It was kind of sad that they actually thought that after learning about Kaito's life. Sad, but damn useful "You're not going to be arrested anytime soon Kaito"

"Oh..." Kaito bit his lip "What now?" Was he able to take care of himself like this? Pretending to be an adult would be tricky...

"Well... Do you remember that bet we made?"

"The one about me going to prison or not?"

Ginzo nodded "I'm pretty sure that I've won that bet"

"I don't think I can do much for you Keibu" Kaito glanced down "Sorry"

"No, I'm pretty sure that you can" He pulled out a bundle of paper and offered it "I'd really like you to sign everything, but only if it's what you want, not what you think you deserve"

"Okay?" Feeling confused, Kaito accepted the papers, bursting into tears when he realized what they were.

Chapter 110: Chapter 109 Family

Notes:

Written July 7 2021
Posted on Wattpad August 7 2021
Posted here December 17 2021

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Ginzo felt a bit lost as he watched Kaito burst into tears, the reaction wasn't quite what he'd been expecting. He floundered a bit before placing a steady hand on Kaito's shoulder, resisting the urge to hug the crying boy. Just because Kaito didn't feel it, it didn't mean that Kaito wasn't injured "Would hoping that those tears are happy ones be too optimistic for me?" The inspector quietly asked.

Kaito sniffed rubbing his eyes, knowing that the other wasn't playing some kind of sick joke on him "I'm feeling too much right now" His voice cracked. It was too much, more than he could handle. His life was changing too fast without allowing him to steady himself.

There was a small click and Aoko's head popped in, the girl tentatively entered the room while the other two seemed distracted. She could help with this part, that's why Misty had let her enter "Aoko has always wanted a little brother" She stated softly. Her father had already gone over this with her, and she was absolutely on board with helping the one who'd saved her father! Especially with how much her dad seemed to care for Kaito.

Out of the many things raging through Kaito's head, the wrongness of the sentence was what snapped him out of said head "I thought I was older than you" It was a strange thing to focus on, but it was also the simplest thing to focus on. Ginzo chuckled, a bit relieved.

Aoko shook her head "It would just confuse people if we told them you were older than me" The tears had slowed a bit, so that was good, right?

"Both Aoko and I would love to have you as part of our family Kaito" Ginzo paused "Do you want to be part of the family?"

Kaito hesitated, eyes wet. He really really wanted a family, he'd been so lonely before Ginzo had gotten himself poisoned. The boy already knew that Ginzo was being completely earnest with the offer, the man had told him on multiple occasions that he cared about him, that he viewed him as a son. He looked over at Aoko "Are you sure?" he asked, visibly grimacing at how vulnerable he'd sounded.

"Aoko thinks that you were silly for becoming a thief" The girl's gaze softened "But Aoko knows that you're a good person who's very caring, so gaining a little brother would be nice" Being an only child could be boring, and she really wanted to help the other.

Biting his lip, Kaito fought back another wave of tears "Even though I'll be high maintenance?" He averted his gaze, finger curling against the bed sheets "I'm less capable now" His lower body didn't work right "I'd be fine in an orphanage" He was done being Kid, so living normally wouldn't be dangerous for him anymore.

"Bullshit" Ginzo's eyes were narrowed "Yes you'll probably need a lot of help at first, but once you adjust, I just know you'll still be more capable than most people" He didn't like when Kaito talked down on himself "It'll take a lot of work, but I know that you're determined enough to do it until you're able to walk again" Ginzo smiled "And then you'd be extra capable on top of your already capable status"

"Even before Aoko was told about you from dad, Aoko knew that you weren't a quitter" Aoko piped in "You always did the heists no matter what you were up against" Back then it'd pissed her off, but after knowing the whole story, Aoko had found it a bit admirable, stupid, but admirable "Dad told Aoko everything, Aoko is amazed by how strong you are!"

Kaito flushed at the praise, heart warming "Can I have a pen?" He wanted this so much, a real family! They wanted him as well, the real him. He needed to sign everything before he go cold feet and decided that he didn't deserve this.

"I got one!" Misty hurriedly rushed through the door, practically shoving a black pen into Kaito's face. Her own eyes were slightly watery, she was so so happy and excited for Kaito. She'd done what she could to help Kaito, and now the boy was finally getting, and accepting the offer of joining a family.

The boy hurriedly signed and filled in every indicated space without really reading the documents, he trusted them to have not added in anything to screw him over. When he finished, he handed everything back to Ginzo, hands shaking as he did so.

Ginzo blinked "Kuroba Kaito?" He gave a small shrug before smiling, ecstatic. Kaito was his kid! He wanted to hug the brat but he couldn't... He was too happy, he'd end up squeezing him.

"It's the name you gave me..." Kaito blushed, it was special to him. He felt so dizzy. He legally existed now.

Aoko was grinning "Hakuba-san is helping so everything should be Kaito accessible by the time you can come home" The man was very generous.

The inspector couldn't stop smiling "You have a very long and hard recovery ahead of you" He risked giving Kaito a quick hug "But we'll be there to help you along the way"

"Because we're family now!" Aoko agreed, giving Kaito a gentle hug. She glanced over at Misty, she was Kaito's family too "And Misty will be the honorary aunt because she's Kaito's family too"

"Aoko-chan..." Misty's heart melted, Kaito- and her apparently - had joined a kind family.

Kaito smiled, indigos watering "This is a better outcome than I could have hoped to ever dream of" Being paralyzed from the waist down was nothing compared to what he'd expected the end to be like. He now had a family, he'd never be alone again. There was also the mentioned chance of him one day walking again... "It's almost surreal"

Ginzo's eyes softened as Kaito started to cry again "I can't wait to get you to see the therapists and psychologists that you need"

The boy sniffed "Only if you can find someone who could handle how messed up I am" He knew that he needed psychological help, had known that for a long time.

"I'm sure we'll find one Kaito" Misty ruffled Kaito's head.

Ginzo nodded, there were still so many things that needed to be done before they could all go home, but they'd get done. The effort was completely worth it.

Notes:

Sequel will be posted withing the next hour...

Please comment ^-^

Series this work belongs to: