Actions

Work Header

Thaw My Frozen Heart

Summary:

“A bounty hunter decides that the former Supreme Leader would make an excellent prize and manages to get the jump on Ben while he is on a mission for the Resistance, encasing him in carbonite. Rey is quick to mount a solo rescue mission and helps Ben recover from the hibernation sickness when she eventually gets him back."
- Reylo-Prompts

Notes:

  • For .

To Miranda13,
I hope you don't mind but this kinda turned into a combination of your three prompts (mostly 1 and 3) as well as the above Reylo-Prompt. It's chaptered and I'm planning to post ~2 chapters per day. I'm sorry I wasn't able to get all your tags in, and there won't be any smut until close to the end. In any case I hope you like it.

Miranda's Prompts:
Prompt 1 - Kylo/Ben gets to spend the night with Rey through a forced circumstance (e.g. battle, capture, trapped, a/b/o - heat) and their desires eventually prevail against their better judgment.

Prompt 2 - Kylo/Ben wants to seduce Rey and is not ashamed of using his hot body. It works.

Prompt 3 - One of them is under the other's care/custody for some reason (e.g. teacher/student, physician/patient, soldier/prisoner) and they're in love. A catalyst (e.g. a person, alcohol) will finally bring the two together.

Chapter 1

Notes:


EPISODE IX
(the Miranda13 edition)


Power shifts in the galaxy. Palpatine has returned, seizing control of The First Order to form the NEW EMPIRE. Meanwhile, the RESISTANCE mourns the sudden loss of their leader, General Leia Organa.

In a surprising turn, the Force-user Kylo Ren has left the Empire and secretly joined the Resistance, but he is not well trusted. While on a dangerous mission he is captured by a bounty hunter and frozen in carbonite.

Rey, THE LAST JEDI, has tracked his location across the galaxy, performed a daring rescue, and now she must protect them both. But who will save them from each other..?

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The cold.

The cold is all he knows.

The cold and the darkness.

Together they compose the very fabric of his existence. The cold is—

—wait....

There it is again.

The light, shining in the dark.

He had forgotten. That is the power of the cold; to make him forget…

… forget…

… forget what again?

All he knows is the cold and the darkness…


The cold suffuses his awareness, but something’s different now.

It isn’t until he starts shivering that he remembers he has a body.

“Ben? Ben,” comes a voice through the darkness.

He tries to move, but he’s not sure if his body is listening.

“Ben. Lie down, Ben.” The voice is warm, or maybe it’s just accompanied by warmth.

He thinks the voice sounds familiar, but his mind can’t seem to place it. But whether he knows the voice or not it seems to know him, so he lets the voice and the warmth guide him back down and unconsciousness retakes him.


He’s drifting through the darkness again when he hears a low hum. So familiar… He forces his mind to follow it, up, up, forcing himself to wake.

His eyes slide open and he blinks — only to be met by further darkness.

His mind feels sluggish. He’s lying down. He thinks he’s dressed to some degree, though he certainly isn’t wearing his usual layered robes. Just his shirt and trousers; there’s a blanket on him too. He’s no longer shivering. In fact he’s quite warm, though he aches all over. His left side throbs; his fingers find a squishy bulk beneath his shirt — a bacta patch? — and when he presses on it pains shoots up his side—

The bounty droid had shot him — squarely on the left side — and as he turned to deflect a second shot the floor gave way…

… and then he woke up here.

He’s been taken prisoner.

In the pitch black he hears a muffled thump. Someone else is here too, down a hall perhaps. He tries to sit up but pain lances up through his side.

Now there’s a pair of distant footsteps; a presence is drawing closer. Someone’s coming for him. Adrenaline shoots through him. He needs to defend himself.

On instinct he reaches for his saber and the Force. The first he finds missing from his hip; the second slips through his grasp. He tries again to wield the Force but a pressure stats to build inside his mind.

The footsteps are running now. His captor is coming.

Again and again he tries to command the Force, but the pressure in his head becomes a pain. He feels like he’s going to vomit. He lets go before he does.

If he can’t protect himself with the Force, he needs to move, to get up. He tries to turn to his left, away from the footsteps, but a padded wall blocks his way. His fingers find a vertical groove and he hauls himself up to a sit. He feels weak as a Loth-kitten and the footsteps are still coming from the other direction. He might be able to stand if he first gets to his hands and knees. He turns to his right, planning to plant his hand on the ground—

—only there isn’t any and for a moment he’s falling through space. He slams into the floor with a metallic tung. “Ow.

Ben!

His body aches and his head is splitting; his thoughts won’t order themselves. He tries to stand and falls back to his hands and knees. If he has no weapons then at least he should get his hands up, he should try to go down fighting. That was the plan after all, wasn’t it?

The footsteps are on him and hands grab at him. “Ben stop!” He swats at them uselessly. “Ben!

And suddenly warm hands grip either side of his face, and he can see. Not everything — he only has a vague impression of the room around him — but he can see her, radiantly in the Force, kneeling in front of him. The pressure in his head lifts. “Rey..?” he croaks.

She pulls back her hands like she’s been burned and her image dissolves, leaving him in darkness. “Sorry, I shouldn’t have,” she says quickly.

A dull ache returns to his forehead. “Where am I?” He rubs his brow before looking back in her direction. Actually he can still see her, barely, like an afterimage written in points of light. Perhaps it’s their proximity. Perhaps it would be clearer but she’s probably still blocking him (he shouldn’t expect anything different, but the thought still stings).

“Hyperspace,” she says neutrally. “You need medical attention. I’m taking you back to the Resistance base on Ajan Kloss.”

Odd, to have a ship’s lights out while traveling in hyperspace. She must be using the Force to ‘see’. “What ship is this?”

Even behind her blockade he senses a ping of concern. “Don’t you recognize it?”

In theory they were on the same side now; if he has a shortcoming she should know. “I’m… having trouble connecting to the Force.”

He senses a hint of confusion now. He can make out that she’s moving her arm in front of him, but the motion is hard to track and he can’t quite make out the gesture. “And… can you..?” She trails off.

“Can I what?” It’s at that moment that an auxiliary vent switches on adding a certain whirring sound to the low hum already in the background. Suddenly he’s struck by the smell of old, dusty sleeping-mats and the tang of metal and oil.

They’re on the Falcon; the crew quarters by the sound of it.

And he knows that if they’re traveling in hyperspace, that the lights — at least some lights — would be on. He realizes then what she was going to ask him. “No. I guess I can’t.”

Notes:

Thoughts? Feelings? Comments always welcome.

Update (Nov 2020): So I've semi-commissioned Mimi (@derpy_mommy) to do a visual interpretation of each chapter with her Reylo dolls. I'll try to add them as they are available