Actions

Work Header

There is Beauty in Darkness

Summary:

The life of a gipsy has always been difficult. She knows this to be true. Every day is just another struggle for survival. The pain of losing one's entire family was unbearable. The fight to live against those who wished for her death was hellish nightmare. She had been thrown in darkness as punishment for being alive. If this was how she was meant to live...then so be it. But after she meets an infamous Belmont, her life had spiralled out of control, and she welcomes it. The chance to change her fate had come. She had found light in this dark world, gained a family and found the one thing she had not expected.

Notes:

*I do not own any of the Castlevania franchise and no profit of any kind is being made

*Castlevania, in its entirety, is owned by Konami. Eighting. MercurySteam. Kojima. Productions. And M2. The Netflix series belongs to Frederator.

Chapter 1: Silent Prayer from a lowly Gypsy

Chapter Text

The little child cried softly as she tried to sleep. She found it to be exceedingly difficult to do so. Despite being in a warm tent with her mother and father sleeping on both sides, despite them being protected, it did not waver the child's fear when the heard the unholy snarls, howls and clicks the creaturs of the night would make.

She let out a weak whimper as she continued to cry when various shadows flew overhead. The sound awoke her parents and they lovingly gazed down at their sweet child. The mother reached over and ran a gentle hand through her hair, soothing the child of her fears. "Little snowdrop, what ails you so? What has caused you so much distress?" Her father asked her.

The girl sniffled as she hides underneath her blanket. She looked up to her parents as she whispered, "The...the monsters of the night... I hear them. The monsters that live in darkness...I can hear them. I am frightened by them and the dark, father. Father, please rid me of those creatures." She cried as she wrapped her little arms around her father. Her child-like mind believed that maybe her father would make all the bad dreams disappear.

Her parents looked at each other for a moment before turning to their trembling daughter. Her father gently set her down on her pillow and her mother tucked her back in. "There, there. It'll be alright. We are safe and we are protected. The night won't hurt us." Her mother said. The small child wasn't convinced. "B-but...they're still out there...in the darkness... They're waiting..." She said.

Her father stroked her head and said, "Hush my child. Do not fear. The dark may be frightening and unforgiving...but you mustn't the fear of the unknown control you. The darkness cannot hurt you for you are stronger than it. Ease your mind and calm your heart. If you ever find yourself in total darkness then search for the light. For the light you'll find will show you that there is nothing to fear. Be strong and have faith."

It was dead of night. The atmosphere is still and silent, like a photograph. Cold. dark. And it was almost nearing winter. A time where people would be inside of their homes and be warm. Not one person is out this late, and those who dare roam the streets at this time usually hurry home before being seen – and caught – by the creature. One girl knew this fact better than anyone. She kept walking. She couldn't stop moving. She couldn't sleep. Not yet anyway. She couldn't let her guard down just yet. She didn't feel safe yet. Don't stop moving. Keep going. Just a bit longer.

They could still be following her. Watching her. Waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike. While she was aware that it might be impossible at this hour, she didn't want to take any chances. Either one of the creatures might be stalking her right now. Either one is just as dangerous as they appear to be. She needed to find a safe place before she could think to get some sleep for the night. And she must do it quickly.

Why was she left on her own? Did she not have a family? Why was she left to fend for herself? Why her family was taken away? Why was she so hated? Just because she and her family were a little different...? And because of what they were, to the others, it made perfect sense and their actions were justified. It's not fair. The world is not fair.

'It never is.' She thought to herself. In the world and society, there are certain rules and expectations that people must abide. Find a partner, fall in love, get married, have children...and repeat the cycle to be happy. But what if this set pattern takes one or more detours...what if things don't go according to plan? What if one can't go down that route because you are not the same as those around you? What if you can't be a part of that cycle because nobody wants you to be a part of their world? Because you aren't even considered to be human in their eyes.

One tends to break when everything goes wrong or unexpected. In your lifetime, you can only see and feel through your perspective. What effects you. What charms you. What horrifies you. What disgust you. She has yet to find things that charmed her. But she has been affected by the horrid and disgusted eyes of those who would look at her. They hate her. They are terrified of her. They don't trust her. They wished she was dead. And it's all because she and her family have failed to meet their certain expectations of what is...normal.

But...why? Why would her family be taken away from her like that? Why would anyone hurt her people like this? Why was this allowed happen? How was she the only one to have survived? Why had she and her family go through such torment? Are they just undeserving to live? Had they done something wrong? These questions would ring through her head over and over again with each passing day.

The world is so wrong and painful. And even if she were to try, there was nothing she could do to change it. She can't do anything to fix it. How could she? She's still only one girl. A girl who's alone in this world without a friend. Painful memories flashed through her head as she gazes at the full moon above her.

"Mother! Father!" A fearful cry broke through. She dragged through the chaos by the wrist by her father as he and her mother ran away to get her, trying to get their only child to safety. Why...? Why was this happening? They were just having a small party...they weren't doing anything wrong. "My dearest! They're still behind us!" Her mother yelled out. "Keep running! Do not turn back!" She couldn't see the rest of the family anywhere and immediately thought the worst. She was scared that something had happened to them. Her father brought and held his daughter close to him as they ran faster through the woods, trying to outrun their pursuers long enough to find a way to escape. She gripped her father's shirt as she began to cry.

When they think they had lost them, her parents stopped running long enough for her father to say, "Miri, listen to me. We're going to be fine, I promise you. You've got to get out of here as fast as possible and we'll be right behind you. We'll be together soon enough."

"Father, no! Please don't leave me!" Miri cried as she held on to her father's arm and he tried to push towards the empty snowy trail. She didn't want to leave. She needed them. As far as she knew they were all she had. "It'll be alright. Run, my dear child. Run away as fast as you can. You must live." Her father said. "We love you Miri. Please live a long life." Her mother told her.

Just then a loud shout come overhead and fire rained down from the skies. It scared Miri terrible and it caused her to scream in fright. Everything went black and all she heard was muffled screaming and anger-filled shouts. When she finally woke up, Miri quickly realized that she was alone in the forest. She wasn't anywhere near her camp and she couldn't find her parents anywhere. She looked down and saw that she was wearing her father's pendant.

How did she get here? And where is her family? Mother? Father? She tried calling out for them. Crying, begging for them to just come out. But no answer came to her. She ran all over the area to look for them but after two hours, she eventually gave up. Miri fell to her knees, fell to the ground and cried. She cried alone in the forest. And no one heard her.

What was once a small happy, peaceful clan of twenty was now reduced to one. Miri was the only remaining gipsy in all of Wallachia. Eventually, Miri had come to terms with the fact that she must've been knocked unconscious and her parents had somehow managed to get her away and that's how she ended up in those woods. Miri briefly thought about how long she's been surviving on her own. She assumed it to be at least six years. Then again, just surviving in general, she had been doing that for most of her life.

And seeing she was the only one around, wherever she was now, only meant that her parents and the rest of her family...were gone. Killed most likely. And the only home she's ever known is lost forever. Miri only wished that she could've just had a moment...just one small moment to say goodbye. Goodbye to her parents. Her best friends. Her people. One goodbye and she would've been content. But she can't. It was impossible now.

With time, it was getting a little easier to cope. The pain was numb but she still feels it in her heart. But despite having her family stolen from her, her suffering wasn't enough. People were still after her, wanting to kill her. She noticed that they were much more determined than usual. She wondered for so long as to why? Why would they want to hurt her so badly? What possible reason could they have that could justify their actions? Eventually, she had come to learn the reason why she was targeted throughout her travels.

She was searching for food scraps outside of a local bar when she overheard a group of men talking about the events that occurred in Targoviste, which had been recently destroyed. Curious, Miri stayed below the window as she heard them speak. A year ago, a woman had been killed. Burned alive at the stake by the order of some Bishop, who he had classified her as a witch. Found many tools of "witchcraft" in her home. On that same day, the demon known as Dracula, the very being that she had married, had revealed himself to the public in smoke and flames over the pyre.

Enraged, he had told the crowd that by taking her from him, he promised, they had signed their death warrants. He allows the people one year to make peace with their Lord, after which he will return with an army and purge all of humanity from Wallachia. And now that promise has been fulfilled and now the demon army of Dracula is roaming the lands looking for any human to devour and kill.

Now, it all made sense to her. Miri understood why the people of Wallachia were so focused on killing her. Of course, as human nature would want it, the people searched for someone else to place blame on their own mistakes. She listened in more closely and discovered that the Bishop, the very same who had ordered Dracula's wife to be killed, had learned of her people and had ordered for the massacer of her fellow gipsies. When word had got out that she was still alive, the Bishop had ordered for her to be killed as well. Like with her people, in his eyes he saw nothing but corruption and sin in her soul based on her appearance and especially her "demonic" eyes.

He told the people that she was the reason that Dracula had been sent to terrorize them. Told them that she, wanting revenge, had placed a curse on the land and summoned him. He told them that she was to blame and must be purge.

Miri almost pitied them for their actions. Almost. They had killed, what she believed, an innocent woman and they thought that the best way to end the demons' terror was to spill even more blood of the innocent. Now, Miri and her family did indeed practice magic, but they would never use it to hurt others. They refused to use their magic against humans. Which is why they could do so little when they attacked. They knew that, regardless if they were to defend themselves or not, they would still see the gipsies as servants of the devil.

Miri believed she had the worst luck imaginable. Not only was she trying to survive in a world that didn't want her, but she was also trying to survive with hordes of demons running around as well. Miri continued to walk along the trail, searching for a place to spend the night. She looked up and saw that a village up ahead. She thought about her luck of finding an empty house to sleep in. She knew that she had to leave before the people woke the next morning. She knew they wouldn't like to see her.

She spotted a church nearing the centre and decided that should be a safe enough place. She covered her face with the hood of her cloak and quietly made her way to the holy house of God. She carefully opens its great doors and stepped inside. It felt warm and welcoming. Miri removed her hood as she didn't sense any life inside. She looked up at the stained glass portrait of the Holy Jesus Christ and she immediately felt humble. "I'm so sorry. I hope you don't mind me being here. Forgive me, but I have nowhere else to go." Miri said softly as she walked down the aisle, her eyes focused on Heaven's son.

Miri clasped her hands together in prayer as went to her knees and bowed at Jesus's image. "I promise, I shall leave your home at first light. Just let me stay this one night. I'm not sure if you'll listen to a lowly gipsy's prayer. I'm not sure if I should even be speaking to you. But I still see your face in my dreams. And I still talk to you like I am now. Does that mean you were once an outcast too?" She asked. Only the silence answered back. She gave a sad sigh but continued with her prayer.

"I'm not sure how many of my family are out there, but could you please watch over them for me? Could you make sure they stay safe? That they can live in peace? I ask for nothing for myself. I'm doing okay. I can get by. But...for my family and all the children of God, protect them. Make their wishes come true. Let them know that you are there."

Miri finished her prayer and looked up at Jesus and the angels once more. She truly prayed that the Heavenly Father above would hear her wish. Even if it takes a while, she'll keep her faith that he will hear her.

Seeing how there wasn't anything else to say and since she was alone in the church, Miri walked over and laid herself on one of the pews. Making herself as comfortable as she can on the wooden bench. She gazed at the stained glass once more before falling asleep.

Chapter 2: The Lonely Gipsy meets the Lowly Hunter

Chapter Text

The next morning, light shone from the windows and a slimmer of it seeps through the glass and gently touched her eyes. Miri stirred awake from her sleep and stretched her body. She looked around and found that no one had entered the church yet. That's a good sign, maybe she can still leave without causing a scene. She got up and stood in front of the portrait of Jesus, bowing down before him. "Thank you very much for allowing me to stay. I shall take my leave now."

Miri placed her hood back over her head and carefully opened the doors. She peeked out and saw that no one else had awoken yet, that should be a good sign. Miri quietly stepped out of the church, closed the doors behind her and walked down the steps. She quickly hides in between the houses when the villagers began to appear.

She made sure she stayed with the shadows as she tried to avoid being detected just long enough to get out of here and move on. She walked along the houses, watching the villagers carefully to make sure that they do not see her. Miri was nearing the exit when a small child ran in front of her towards a patch of white flowers. She kneeled before them, smiling as she began picking the flowers before noticing her. Miri carefully took a step as the child stood up and kindly asked, "Look, miss, aren't these pretty flowers?"

Miri nodded as she nervously tried to step around her. "Yes, they are quite lovely. Forgive me, but I'm afraid I must be on my way."

"You do? Well, take this one with you." The little girl said, offering a flower to Miri but she frowned when she realised that the flower has yet to bloom and was still a bud. "Oh, I'm sorry." She said. Miri felt a little tug at her heart when she stared at the small child and bowed at the waist. She gave a kind smile as she raised her hand over the bud. "Do not apologise for such a silly thing. These type of flowers are very special...the last one to bloom always become the most beautiful."

To prove it, a pure white energy poured out of her hand and onto the flower bud. The little girl's eyes widened in amazement as the flower began to bloom right before her. The flower had become an enchanting white rose. She smiled at Miri and was about to hand over the rose when a woman suddenly screamed bloody murder.

They quickly turned around and Miri was struck by a rock as the woman kept on screaming. Like moths to a flame, the rest of the villagers came to see what the woman was screaming about and wondered what was going on until they saw Miri's face. The girl's heartbeat quicken as she made a break for it as the villagers began throwing rocks at her, grabbing whatever weapons they can get their hands on. Chasing her like hunters targeting a prey as they shouted in rage.

"There she is!!"

"Get back here you whore!"

"Kill the gipsy devil!"

"She has bewitched an innocent child!"

"You are an utter disgrace of God!"

"You are the sacrifice for the name of God!"

"Shame on you non-believer!"

"Shame on you!"

"Shunned the nonbeliever!"

"Shunned her!"

"She is an uncleaned sinner, who is a disgrace of God!"

Miri ran and ran and ran as fast as she could. Running away from this hellish nightmare that she lives. Experiencing the torture and pain everyone puts her through. Despite this, Miri couldn't find any reason to hate them. She knew that the only reason they were acting like this was because they were afraid and were given false information. So at the end of each day, she would forgive those who had hurt her.

Even so, Miri wanted all of this to stop. She wanted them to stop. All she wanted in this world was freedom and happiness, but as a gipsy, there was no way she could have any of that in this hellish life. All she was given was violence, punishments, torture, pain, suffering, loneliness and unhappiness. While she was running away from the villagers, she quickly hides underneath the bushes where she covered her mouth to silence her breathing, trying her best not to make a sound.

As she watched all of their footsteps ran past her hiding place, she carefully peeped through the bushes and saw that most of them had already gone far enough ahead. She let out a sigh and went through the forest to use as a cover to escape. Once Miri was certain that she was far from the village, she wandered back on to the road and walked off to God only knows where.

She rubbed her wounded shoulder as she said, "At least it wasn't aimed for my head this time. I'm grateful that I was able to get away without further incidents. Maybe God has decided to shield me, for the time being." Miri looked up at the sky and gave a small prayer of thanks for the Lord. She continued her trek down the road for a couple of hours when she stumbles across an old, abandoned shack that laid off to the side. It looked like nobody had lived it in for years now and the earth was in the process of claiming its land back.

Miri gave a small smile as she walked over to it. It wasn't the best living situation but it'll have to do for now. She opened the door and was immediately met with an unholy amount of dust. She gagged back and coughed as she waved her hands to sway it off. "Just some dust...it could still be unbearable." Miri says as she walked inside. Everything was made barren, except for a woven basket in the corner and the only noticeable thing was a fire pit in the middle of the room. Miri's little smile was still on her face as she took off her cloak and hung on one of the broken wood sticking out from the wall.

She cleaned out the fire pit of its ashes and used her magic to detect any negative energy around her. Making sure there wasn't anyone, besides the common animal, near that would be a threat to her. Once she was confident that there was no one around, Miri breathed a sigh of relief and decided to go out to fetch some firewood and food, taking the basket with her.

She put back on her cloak, put on her hood and left the shack. Miri wasn't sure how long she walked for. Most likely half an hour before she came across a river. "Oh, thank goodness." She sinks to her knees in relief by the river's bank and scoops up some water in her hand. It had been a while since she had any water. It had never tasted this delicious before.

Thanks to the oncoming winter, it was fresh and cool. Miri drank the clear liquid greedily before finding a stick and swishing it around in the water. Miri was searching for fish. "Good." She smiles in relief as she flicks a fish out of the water with the stick. It fails around helplessly for a few seconds before creating a small dagger of ice and struck it. Miri gathered a few more fish before setting out to find firewood which wasn't that easy as there weren't fit to burn. But she kept looking until she found some decent sticks.

With her task complete Miri walked back to the shack, ready to cook her dinner when she stopped and noticed a strange lump underneath a tree. Growing curious, Miri walked carefully towards the lump. Quickly realising that it was a dark-coloured cloak with a massive clump of fur that almost engulfs the man wearing it. He wasn't moving at all. Was he dead? Miri took another step closer and sees that he wasn't. He was breathing... Was he asleep?

If he was, then maybe she would bother him. He'll eventually wake and go on about his way. Miri took one last look at him before walking away back to the shack. When she got inside, she placed the basket to the side and set up the pit to cook. She placed the sticks into a pile and snapped her fingers. A small fire lit above her finger and she set the wood ablaze. "Thank goodness father taught me how to create fire." It certainly made things easier when it came to getting warm and cooking while travelling.

Miri was exceptionally talented with magic, but fire-based magic wasn't one she tends to use very often. Fire reminded her too much of her dear father, Vano. Not only was it his primary form of magic, it was as if he was fire given human form. It was equal parts destructive and loving. Destructive because it could burn you. It could consume everything in its path, leaving nothing but a pile of ash behind. Fire could kill you. Vano was just like an unforgiving wildfire when he was enraged and when he fought monsters in the past with his father.

There was another side of fire though. It could be very loving. It could warm you, provide you with light, and could be used to cook food. The loving side of fire was represented when Vano protected her, her loving mother Mercy, and their people, when he held her, and how he even cooked for her and her mother.

How she missed him. How she missed her mother. How she missed her precious family.

Miri wiped away a tear that fell down her cheek and started to cook her fish in complete silence save for the cracking, popping sounds of the wood. A half an hour passed by when Miri looked outside and say that it was getting dark. Her thoughts went to the man she found slump down and asleep. She wondered, was he still there? Had he already woken up and left. It was cold out. Surely the weather would have woken him up. Was he okay? Suddenly Miri couldn't eat and went outside. She walked toward the path where she found him, and, much to her surprise, the man was still there.

Miri didn't go near him just yet. It was indeed cold outside. But...what would happen if she helped him? What would happen if he saw her face? Surely he would know of what she was. Surely he would attack her. But, she can't just leave him here. What if he froze to death? With mixed feelings, Miri took a deep breath before cautiously walking over to the man. He was laying on his side and she leaned down to shake him gently. "Excuse me? Good sir, are you well? You'll catch your death out here." She told him.

She shook him, but the man didn't wake up. He let out a snore and that proved he was still in a deep sleep. Miri reeled back when he exhaled. His breath reeked of alcohol. He was drunk. Now that made sense why he was slump like this. Miri grunted as she lifted his upper body over her. She took one step forward before losing all sense of balance and collapsing to the ground. She had miscalculated his weight.

"Dear Lord, how much have you drank?" Miri muttered as she struggled to get back up while trying not to drop the man. Her muttered question fell on deaf ears as she struggled to get back up on her feet while trying not to drop the man. With a lot of effort, Miri walked, more like hobbled, her way back to the shack while carrying the drunken man on her shoulders. With a deep breath, the young girl kicked opened the door and walked inside, dragging the exhausted drunkard with her.

He was slowly slumping to the floor with each step she took, and at this rate, he was going to drag her down with him. She managed to keep him from sagging any further as she carefully laid him down on his back. As she stepped back, she saw his chest rising and falling with every breath, indicating that he, somehow, was still in a deep sleep.

She breathed out a huge sigh of relief as she began rubbing her shoulder. His arm had taken the feeling out of the joint appendage, resulting in an aching sensation. Now that he was no longer leaning on her, all she could do was let time do the healing. Miri took off the man's cloak and placed it on top of him to act like a blanket for now. She then took off her own cloak and rolled it up, placing it under his head. She took quick notice of the scar that was over his left eye. "There. That should do it. He's bound to get hungry soon. He'll probably need fresh water and well." Miri left the fish out to cook while she went out to gather some water at the river.

She cupped her hands and a small bowl made of ice was created. She gathered the water and quickly went back to the shack. When she thought about it, she became worried that he might've already caught a fever when being out here for so long. Miri got back inside, took a glance at the man, and made preparations for him. She unhooked the small pouch from her waist and took out a small cup, pestle and mortar, and some medicinal herbs. After placing the fish and water on the side, she got right to making medicine.

An aching throb rattled his head as he slowly opened his eyes. The world around him spun in circles, making him wonder which way was up and which way was down. Letting out a groan, The man blinked a few times to clear his vision. Despite his spinning head and the room is dimly lit, he could tell that he was in some kind of hut. He found that odd. He was sure that he'd fallen asleep in the forest.

The man groaned painfully as he slowly began to sit up. Looking down, he also discovered that his cloak had been placed over him to shield him from the cold. He looked behind him and noticed the white bundle that had used as a pillow for him, causing him to raise an eyebrow in confusion. Though his memory was clouded, he sure didn't recall ever moving anywhere else besides the woods. And even if he did, he had no idea how he managed to sleep in this type of luxury. He looked around the tiny, but old and worn down, hut, his head continuing to spin and throb, only to pause when his ice-blue eyes saw someone sitting by the fire.

She had tanned skin. Long, black hair that was tied into low pigtails, braided. She wore a plain, white, long-sleeved dress that falls to her feet, and was barefoot. It had a black border around her the chest area of the dress and two black bands on her arms. From what he can see she also wore some kind of pendant around her neck. "The hell are..." He mumbled quietly to himself as he nearly fell over.

The girl must've heard him as she turned to look at him. She gave a small, shy and frightful smile as she said, "Oh good. You're awake. How are you feeling?" The man looked back at her and was taken aback when he saw her eyes. He noted that she had a beautiful face, but her eyes were something else entirely. But he couldn't find them to be nothing more than fascinating. She had featureless silver (with tinges of lavender) eyes.

The man grunted as he held his head. "I feel like shit..." He muttered. Miri nodded. She expected him to say something like that. She poured the crushed herbs into a cup and handed the warm liquid to him. "I had found you out in the woods and brought you in here to give you a warm place to sleep. Here, drink this. It'll help." She said. The man muttered a thanks as he took the cup. He looked up and noticed that she had quickly moved away from him. Not only that, but behind that kind smile was a subtle look of fear. The man took a sip of the drink and nearly gagged at the taste. "What the hell is this?" He asked, disgusted by how bad it tasted.

"I know it tastes unsavoury, but it does help after drinking as much I'm sure you have." Miri told him. She recalled how much her people would happily drink whenever they have a party or a small celebration of someone's birth. As expected they received horrible hangovers and the healers would have to tend to them. She almost laughed when she remembered how much they hated the drinks.

"Just drink, it'll do wonders." Miri says. The man looked at her weirdly and was about to dump it. "Yeah...I think I'll-." "Just drink it." Miri firmly stated as she immediately went to his side and held the cup as she forced it down his throat. She took the cup back and went to get his dinner as he gagged in disgust, spitting out several times as if trying to get the taste out of his mouth. "Ugh! Oh God, that was vile." He said, fully awake and more alerted now.

"You sound much more vigorous now. I had said it worked wonders." Miri said as she placed the cooked fish and water beside him. When she did, Miri quickly went to sit on the other side of the shack. The man was somewhat confused about why she staying far from him but he didn't care. Not when hot food was placed out for him. "If you don't mind me asking, what is your name?" Miri asked him as he took a bit of his fish.

"Hm? Ah, right... It's, uh...." He seemed to hesitate for a moment which caught Miri's attention. He looked at her for a moment and tried to analyse the situation. She looked pretty harmless and was a kid, so he figured it would be safe to tell her. The man let out a sigh and said, "Trevor Belmont." That name struck a chord in Miri and she smiled, more brighter and friendly, and got up to sit a bit closer to him. When she was young, she remembered the stories her father and clans people would tell about the great house of Belmonts. They were a clan of great hunters of the night and vowed to protect the people of Transylvania.

She and her people had admired the Belmont clan for how they fight creatures of darkness commanded by Count Dracula and protect mankind despite many being fearful of them. Miri and her people held a lot of respect and admiration for the Belmonts and never believed the rumours that were spread about them. Even when they were exiled and excommunicated by the Church, the Gipsy clan continued to praise and thank the Belmont Family for what they've done for humanity.

"Trevor Belmont? Does that mean that you're a member of the great House of Belmont? That's astounding." Miri tells him. Her fearful shyness had disappeared and was replaced with joy and happiness. Trevor was a little freaked out by her sudden burst of excitement. He wasn't sure how to respond to this kind of attention and just sat there eating his food while Miri sat beside him in silence. After he finished his food Miri looked up at him and said, "It's still rather cold outside, please stay here and leave until morning when it's much warmer."

Trevor looked at her with slight confusion, grumbled and said, "Whatever you say...Just don't expect a thanks out of me." He then turned away from her and laid back down on the makeshift pillow. Miri didn't seem to bothered by this and nodded. "Of course. But in all honesty, it might be more appropriate if I offered you my gratitude." Miri says as she went to sit on the other side of the shack. Trevor was caught off guard by this response. Who was this girl? Why would she offer her thanks to him? Trevor turned his head to ask, "What the hell are you talking about?"

"My people and I have heard and told many stories of your wonderful family. We have heard about all you have done to keep mankind safe from the creatures of the night even when you were aware that no one else wasn't going to be exactly happy with you. We've envied you...but we admired you more. So," Miri said as she looked up to give him a kind smile. "I want to thank you for everything that you and your family had done for us. Even if we didn't deserve it, which I know, we don't. But, thank you so much."

Trevor was silent for a moment, taking in her words, before asking, "Is that why you helped help me? Because you assumed I'd be a Belmont?"

"No. Even if you weren't a Belmont, if you were a common man passed out in the forest, I would've still gone out and take you in without a second thought. Even if you were to hurt me when you have awoken, I would still aid you as best I could." Miri said, calmly. This caused Trevor to fully turned to her and looked at her with slight shock. "Why..? Why would you think I would hurt you?" As far as he knew, Miri seemed to a rather nice girl who had dragged him in here and fed him. She was hardly considered to be a threat and was just a kid. "Who are you?" Trevor asked her.

"My name is Miri. Unfortunately, my reason for thinking that pain would be inflicted on me is fairly noticeable. I am a gipsy, and I am not welcomed in this world. I suppose...we have that in common. Don't we?" Miri told him. A sad smile appeared on her face as she continued to speak so calmly and kindly to him. Trevor took a good look at her and finally noticed that she was right. From the way the dressed was designed, her pendant, her dark skin, and how unusual her eyes were...she was a gipsy and the fact that she was alone made him guess on what happened to the rest of her people.

Miri shook her head and smiled at the hunter as if she hadn't told him that she was the world's most hated person. "Please. Let us not speak of sadness or my harsh circumstances. I'm not sure where you're going but you need your rest." Miri said as she laid on her side, facing the fire and closing her eyes. Trevor stared at her for a brief moment before laying back down.

"How old are you?" He asked.

Miri opened her eyes. "I am fifteen years old." She answered.

The night continued to roll on by. Miri stayed up a bit more until she was sure that Trevor had fallen asleep. When he was, she tiptoed over to him and draped his cloak over him. She patted his dark-brown hair and whispered, "Goodnight. Sir Belmont." With that Miri went back to her side and fell into a deep sleep.

Chapter 3: Different Responses to Kindness

Chapter Text

Miri woke up the next morning when she heard the birds singing their songs. She rubbed her eyes to rid the sleep from her eyes and woke up to find that she was all alone in the shack. Trevor was gone. The fire had been put out and she noticed that her cloak was draped over her. She smiled as she knew that Trevor must've done this before he left. It might have been a very small act, but this level of kindness had warmed her heart. To her, any form of kindness, can lit up the emptiness of a lonely heart. She got up, put on her cloak and stepped outside. She looked around but didn't see Trevor anywhere. She used her magic but didn't sense his life energy either.

She figured that he must be long gone by now. She was a bit saddened that she wasn't able to see him leave and to wish him farewell, but she hopes that he was okay. Miri looked up into the sky and clasped her hands together in a prayer. "Holy Father, please, if I may, make another request. Please keep watch over my people and see that Sir Trevor Belmont is safe in his travels. He's a good man. I know this to be true. Please protect him in your ray of light." She said softly. She hoped she would be heard.

Miri went back inside the shack, gathered her things into her pouch and left. She put on her hood and travelled back to the river to get some more water as it was going to be a while before she'll come across another one again. On her way there, she noticed a man was crying in pain by the river banks. She walked closer and gasped in shock that the man's leg was a horrible cut. Blood seeped rapidly out of the wound and the man could barely move as he clutched at his leg. He must've slipped and cut his leg against the sharp rocks.

Miri noticed that he was wearing a priest's uniform, along with a bucket beside him. Miri felt fear sink into her. The man was a priest of a church. He looked to be rather young but he was still a priest. If he sees her, no doubt he was going to try and hurt her. He would bring in his brothers of the cloth to come in and get her if he were able to move. Miri quickly turned around and was about to run away. But immediately stopped when the man continued to cry out in pain and began calling out for help.

Miri's heart was racing and was breathing heavily. Stay or run. Help him or ignore him. Heal him and receive pain or leave him and escaping sorrow.

Miri was torn. What should she do? What was she supposed to do? Surely there must be others around to hear him. Right? He can't be the only one out here. Was he? She... She has no obligation to help him. Someone must be out here too. They'll hear him, right? They'll find him and help, right?

"Ugh! It hurts! Someone, anyone, please help me!" The young priest cried out. Miri gripped at her chest and clenched her eyes tight as she went to war with herself. Stay? Run? Leave him? Heal him? Risk it? Or play it safe?

"Can anyone hear me?!"

Miri took a deep breath before rushing over to the priest's side. She hooked her arms under his and carefully pulled him away from the river. "Please be still and calm. I am going to heal you." She told him as she went over to inspect his leg. It was much worse up close but it should be manageable. The priest was breathing much too heavily and Miri looked at the priest, who gasped when he saw her face and kindly said, "I require you to be calm. It will be alright, I can heal you, but you must be calm. Can you do that?"

The priest looked at her with shock. He knew full well who she was and the stories that involved her. But he quickly nodded his head. He took several deep breaths until eventually, he was more in control than how he was before. He gave her his permission. Miri nodded at him and hovered her hands over his wounded leg.

She began to softly say a chant as a white aura flowed from her hands and spread over the priest leg. The priest watched in silent awe as he witnessed his wounds began to heal on its own and the blood he lost returned to his body. Before he knew it, the wounds had closed and his leg looked good as new.

With his leg healed, Miri stood back up and walked to pick up the bucket. She went to the river and gathered some water for the priest who was still shocked over what had just occurred. He carefully stood up and was even more baffled that he no longer felt any pain. Miri went back to him and handed him the bucket filled with water. She gave a smile and said, "Do try to be more careful wherever you may go." The priest gave a silent nod as he took the bucket and began to walk away. But he gave the gipsy girl a sideways glance as he left. Miri let out a breath. That was very reckless of her. She aided an "enemy" and there was no proof that nothing good was going to come of this.

Still, Miri felt happy to have helped him. So seeing him well and able, that should what mattered most. Miri turned her attention back to the river and scoops up some water to drink. After taking her fill of water, Miri went about her way to who knows where. She didn't know how far she had gone this time. Probably at least two or three miles though. She needed to find another place to sleep tonight. Hopefully, she can find a small farm or something to help keep her warm. There was only one problem. Miri didn't have any clue where she was, but that didn't stop her.

For now, she would focus on moving forward and avoid attracting unwanted attention. The less she was seen the better. Miri avoided going back to the main road and settled on walking through the forest. Which was good. There were more places she could hide here. If either humans or the creaturs emerged, they would come to find her and her trail would lead them into the forest. Unfortunately, there was a high chance that the night and day was just as familiar with forests as she was, if not more so. She'd have to be smart about this.

"Should I set some traps for them or should I just keep running? If I set trap...oh no, what if a human gets caught in them? But the night is just as dangerous..." Miri bites her lower lip anxiously. A forest meant food. She didn't have much of anything on her. No money and no provisions. She'd have to hunt or gather if she wanted to eat before she got the next village. "I have to find another village to hide away for a while." If Miri could find another village, she could at least find another safe route to travel. Feeling better now that she had a plan in mind, Miri continued walking. Her eyes and ears on full alert. Just in case anything or anyone managed to come after her.

She walked through the forest for another twenty minutes and Miri nearly screamed when an arrow suddenly flew right in front of her, narrowly missing her nose and struck a tree beside her. "Damn it! I missed!" A man cursed out. "Doesn't matter! Just go get her!!" Another man yelled at him. Miri looked in the direction where the arrow came from and her eyes widened when she saw a group of men running out from the tree and bolted after her, weapons and rope in hand. Miri's body shook in fear and she immediately ran as fast as she could.

Miri ran. And ran. And ran. Her legs ached. Her lungs burned. But she couldn't stop. She can't stop running. Stopping meant death. Miri wanted to cry for help but she knew no one would hear her. No one would listen. Her screams would be ignored. No one would help a disgusting, ugly gipsy girl. Miri continued to run but then she was suddenly struck at the back of her head. The force knocked her to the ground and when she fell, the men immediately grabbed her and tied her hands tightly in rope. Miri struggled tried to run away but they held a tight grip on her. Miri screamed and cried as they dragged her back to their village.

When they arrived, they were greeted by the rest of the villagers with them screaming and yelling. Spouting insults and hate towards the girl as she was dragged across the ground like she was some rabid animal. The men dragged her to the church and forced her down before a group of priests, nuns and the villagers. The high Priest of this church and the rest of the priests glares down at her and the High Priest loudly proclaims, "For many years have I served you and God in this holy Cathedral. Yet never before have I felt the evil and sins that had plagued this wonderful village. This witch! This embodiment of sin! Has committed a horrendous crime against us and directly against the church."

The High Priest turned and the brothers and sisters of the cloth step to the side and the young man that Miri had healed walked up with two of older brothers. Miri looked up as best as she could as saw that the younger man looked visibly sick. He looked pale, guilty and horrified by what is going on. "Our brother, Nathaniel, who had just joined our family and received the love of God, was tainted by the Devil's spawn. He says that she had touched him and had uttered a witch's curse on him."

"N-no...that's not what-." Nathaniel tries to speak but the High Priest ignored him and kept going. "This sinner had the gall to touch a brother of the cloth. No doubt she had tried to seduce him into sin and corruption. She had dared to touch him and whisper the Devil's tongue. We have successfully cleaned our brother's soul but to truly rid ourselves from this evil, we must have her executed in the name of God!"

The villagers yelled out in agreement and they gathered various weapons and tools to inflict torture upon the girl, all the while Nathaniel called out over the crowd to try and defend Miri. "No, please! She simply healed me! She helped me! She's not what you think!" He shouted, begging to be heard. But he was taken inside the church while his brothers gently told him that he wasn't thinking right and that they would help him see the light.

Miri looked in fear at the people gathering around her. She wanted to run, but she had nowhere to go. She wanted to cry for help, but she had no one to turn to. She wanted to pray to God to save her, but she didn't know if she'll be heard. Miri cannot use her magic because she refused to use them against humans and by using it, it'll only create a deeper pit of despair.

"No...no, please...! Just let me go! Don't hurt-!" She tried to say before a sickening crack ended her sentence before it's time. The heavy club came in full contact with her lower back, causing her to shriek horribly and fall to the ground. Miri screamed and struggled, but the noise was drowned out by the spectator's cheers. The High Priest and his brothers watched in placid silence. They were enjoying the show as one of the people carrying out the execution lifted the club again and brought it down again. Even with the crowd cheering and screaming their approval, Miri could still hear her bones snap under the wooden object.

The villagers were playing with her. They reached aimed for places that caused pain but did not kill. They were enjoying their free reign, destroying Miri in the process. Her scream finally pierced the crowd as one of the men grabbed her by the throat and forced her to stand on her now shattered leg. While holding her up with one hand, he grabbed a hooked whip in the other hand. It barely took any effort for him to swing the thing at her, removing flesh as the hooks embedded themselves in her skin. She could no longer scream, her throat finally giving out on her.

The man dropped her. She collapsed on the ground almost lifelessly. She was covered in blood, her dress and cloak torn to pieces, and was almost unconscious, but it didn't seem to remove any excitement from them. It was hard enough that she felt all of the air leave her lungs. She recoiled at the iron taste of the liquid that entered her mouth. Blood dripped from her mouth and clear streaks fell down her face. She closed her silver-lavender eyes from pain, listening to their laughter.

'Holy God... Whatever I have done to make you disappointed in me.....please accept my deepest and sincerest apology. I never intended to make you unhappy. I'm sorry for what I have or may have done.'

She looked up at the villagers and the people of the church, trying not to let them see the fear in her eyes, but that was pointless. It was so obvious about how terrified she was. She coughed out blood as one of the men gave her a solid kick in the stomach and ribs.

But it wasn't over. Not yet. One of the men pulled the rope that was still tied her hands together and began to drag her away. The people dragged her out into the outskirts of their village and the man let go of the rope and stood above her. Another, much bulkier man, walked up with an axe in hand. Miri let out silent tears as she began to think that this is where her life will come to an end. She cried as she began to think about her family. Cried for Her people. Cried for the wish her parents had for her. Cried that she failed to earn acceptance.

'Mother... Father... I'm so sorry... I couldn't live the life you had wanted for me... But, hopefully, I shall be reunited with you soon.' She thought as the man with the axe stood above her. He moved one of her braids out of the way so that he could have a clear view of her neck. Miri laid on her side as she accepted her fate. She wasn't wanted. She wasn't allowed to live. She wasn't meant to be born. This...must be her punishment. For being different. For being a gipsy. For being alive. 'I guess this...is what I deserve.'

The man raised his axe high above his head and was about to bring it down on her neck, but as he did, something caught the axe and forced it out of the man's hands. Just as suddenly a boot had come in and stepped on the man's head before a figure jumped over him and swooped the gipsy girl in his arms. He didn't waste any second before barreling through the crowd and running away. The villagers screamed out in rage and chased after the man. Miri weakly looked up and through her blurry vision saw the face of Trevor Belmont. She briefly wondered where he had come from before slipping to unconsciousness.

*Later that night*

Miri woke up with a sudden jolt. Her eyes gazed upon the starlit sky. Where was she? Was she dead? She felt a little cold, and a bit hungry...so that indicated that she was still alive. She turned her head and noticed that she was back in the woods again. Not only that, but she saw that snowdrop flowers had bloomed all around her. How... How did she get here? That's when she noticed a heavy cloak over her. It looked - and smelled- just like-.

"So, you're alive. I was beginning to think I had been lugging around a corpse all day." A familiar voice said. She turned and saw Trevor sitting on the opposite side of her with a small campfire between them. She was both surprised and happy to see him. But also confused. Lugging a corpse? What did he mean? Miri looked up at the sky then back to him. "What happened? Why are you here? Oh, not that I am displeased with your presence, I assure you." She said.

Trevor let out a tired sigh and scratched his head. "You probably wouldn't remember, but you were tortured and was about to be killed by villagers far off from here. I was in that village searching for food but I had seen them dragging you away. I didn't know if you were already dead or just unconscious, but when I saw that fat bastard lift that axe...I..."

"You saved me...?" Miri asked in pure disbelief. She couldn't believe it. She had accepted her fate but at the very end, God had answered her prayer and sent a person to save her. And that person was the famous Trevor Belmont. She felt so blessed that someone had willingly stepped in and saved her from her suffering. Trevor looked away, pouting and he said, "Don't get the wrong idea. I was just returning the favour."

"Favour?"  Miri questioned.

"You helped me, so I helped you. Simple as that, now I don't owe you anything."

Miri kindly shook her head. "No. You did not need to repay anything to me. I was more than happy to aid you the previous night. But...I'm deeply grateful for what you have done for me. Thank you so much. I shall never forget this kindness, Sir Belmont."

Trevor glanced at her before letting out a "hmph" and said, "I don't care. I don't need your thanks." He may have sounded rude, but Miri still smiled all the same. As she turned her attention to the stars, Trevor then asked her, "By the way, while I set you down, you started glowing. After that those flowers started to grow around you. Mind explaining that to me?"

Miri nodded. "It is my magic. Whenever I experience great pain, like I have before, it heals any and all of my wounds and repairs my body. However, I must be in a deep sleep for it to work. The snowdrops are created from my magic, nothing too significate, but they are my favourite flowers."

"You never told me you possessed magic." Trevor said, sounding a bit impressed.

"You had never asked me." Miri said kindly as she let out a giggle. Trevor looked at her before letting out a small laugh. She was such an odd kid. But she was technically a kid in his eyes. He may have said that he just was returning a favour to her, but he honestly felt pure rage towards the villagers that had stood there and cheered while they were practically torturing the girl to death, and felt horrified that an innocent girl was about to be killed. He had already felt the pain, humiliation and agony when he was young, but he was NEVER going to let the same thing happen to another. Especially to a little girl. He couldn't just stand there and let them kill her. In a way, he saw himself in her.

"How are you feeling right now?" Trevor asked her.

Miri slowly sat up and moved very carefully. Most of the pain had gone away. Her bones were steadily repairing and as normal as she can get. However, the leg that was previously shattered still held a lot of pain. She could barely move it. "My body is feeling much better but...my leg needs more time to heal. It does not hurt nearly as much but..."

"Doesn't surprise me, the damn thing was completely shattered." Trevor says as he stands up and puts out the fire. He then walks over and kneels with his back facing her. Miri blinked in confusion and wondered what he was doing. His back was to her and he wasn't moving at all. "Um...pardon me? But what-?" "Oh for God's sake, get on." Trevor said, cutting her off.

"What?"

"You said your leg still needs to heal, right? So that means you can't walk, right? So hop on, I'll be giving you a lift." Trevor told her. Miri was now astonished by this. She had never expected him to be this kind, not that she had thought of him not to be, but it was still such a surprise. Miri gave a small smile as she blushed pink. She wonders if this was a first step of the two of them becoming friends. "Mm-hmm. Thank you." Miri says as she climbs onto his back with his cloak on her. Wow..! She was incredibly light, Trevor mused as he stood up.

With her secured Trevor walked to the next town, it was a small one on the outskirts of Gresit. Trevor made sure that Miri's face was covered as soon as they entered the town. The last thing he wants is to gather A LOT of unwanted attention and a horrid excuse to give these people to take out their anger and fear on. "Quick question? How are you with bars?" Trevor asked her. Miri let out a confused sound and thought about it for a moment. "Mmm...I don't mind them too much. Several of my people did enjoy drinking now and then." She told him. She did mind the wretched smell though.

"Oh good, so that'll make me feel less guilty." Trevor says. Before Miri could ask what he meant by that Trevor promptly walked into the local tavern bar. When they entered the stench of beer-filled her nostrils and Miri nearly grimaced, she had never been one to drink beer. The stench of the dirty and sweaty men in the bar was also repulsive to smell, however, Trevor, on the other hand, was unfazed by it and walked in as if he owned the place. He walked over to an empty table near the corner and carefully set Miri down on her seat.

"Do you want a beer or two?" Trevor asked her as he adjusted her hood so that her face was obscured in case anyone, he could only hope they won't, would to look their way. "I'm alright, thank you. Some water would do if that is alright." Miri whispered to him.

"Right, right." Trevor said as he left with a wave of his hand. While Miri was waiting in her seat, her eyes caught view of a few men smirking at her. Laughing quietly to themselves. They had this look in their eyes that Miri could not identify. It wasn't hatred. It wasn't anger. But she knew that it wasn't anything good. She felt her stomach tighten in fear when they began to stand up and make their way towards her.

Her hands were shaking. She clenched them tightly. Initially, she was scared that they must've seen her face, but when she looked closer, she saw that their faces were red and were a bit wobbly in their steps. They were drunk. Miri began to relax a little. ...They were...moderately harmless. Miri could use that to her advantage. Keeping her hands in her lap, Miri lifted her finger and created puddle-sized sleet of ice. The men took one step on it and immediately slipped and fell to the ground with a loud thud.

The bartender looked over and Miri quickly retracted the ice. "Oi! Get lost, ya bums! You all had enough to drink for the night." He said. The men grumbled and cursed under their breaths, got up to their feet and wobbled their way out of the tavern just as two farmers walked in. "My goodness, such vulgar men." Miri whispered to herself. "But at least I know that not all men are disrespectful or rude." Her father, her people and best friend, and Trevor were all excellent examples.

"You say something?" Trevor returned with a cup filled with beer and looked at her with a questioning look. Miri shook her head and smiled. "No, nothing." Trevor looked at her for a moment before shrugging and slumped down in his seat, handing her a cup of water. Miri kept watch over him and Trevor began to drink, and drink, and drink. During her travels, whenever she searched for food outside of bars, Miri witnesses a lot of bar fights and was frightened at how brutal they could be.

So she was worried that Trevor would get into trouble if he was left ignored and she needed to be vigilant in case something were to happen. Pretty soon, Trevor was only half sober and she gave him a comforting pat on the back while at the counter, one of the farmers, named Bosha, a small, fat, balding man retelling a story to his brother, Kob, about one of his goats, and a man who really likes goats. "So I says to him, "It's my goat. I've been tending goats since I was four years old." Bosha said.

"Right, right." Kob said, nodding his head. Kob was more of a larger man with a strong build and long hair.

"And I'd know if my goat was in love with you." Bosha said.

"For God's sake." Kob said with a groan, he already knew where this was going.

"He says to me, "I know your goat's in love with me"."

"So you said how, Bosha?"

"So I says how! And he says, "Well, she fucks me, don't she"?"

"And that's when you hit him." Kob says as Bosha downs his cup of ale, the liquor running down his chin and staining his shirt. "Right across the eyes with a shovel." Bosha tells him as he points his forehead. "And now the headman says I have to pay the bastard money because he went blind."

"Not fair."

"So I says to him, "You didn't think he was gonna go blind fucking a goat with mange?"."

"That would have been your fault, too."

"I would have gotten blamed for that, too. But what am I supposed to do when I find my goat laying on its side in the field, fucked within an inch of its life and a naked man with blood and straw all over his peck?" Bosha asked his brother. Kob gave a slight smile and replied with, "Hit him with a shovel!"

"Fucking right I hit him with a shovel!" Bosha proudly proclaimed as he turned his attention to the bartender. "More ale for me and my cousin Kob!" He ordered. Kob had a mixed look of annoyance and simplicity. "Brother." He said.

Bosha gave him a stern look before saying, "Look, we might have had the same father, but you came out of my aunt. Don't make me get my shovel."

"Anyone else while I'm pouring?" The bartender asked as he pours Bosha a fresh cup of ale. "One over here." Trevor called out to him. Miri lightly hit his shoulder and shushed him. "Hush now. I believe you had enough." She whispered to him. Seconds later, a young man comes running into the tavern in a panicked, fearful state. "Ale! For Christ's sake!" He desperately says with a breathless voice as he quickly shuts the door behind him.

"Piter! We was just wondering if you'd spotted any attractive sheep on your ride out." Bosha says to him, not completely understanding the situation. "What's the word, mate?" Bosha asked him as the young man practically runs to the counter and quickly takes the cup of ale and drinks it down in a greedy slurp. With that in his system, Piter slams his cup down and tells them, "The horde's been seen, sweeping west!"

"Shit! You think they'll reach us?" Kob asked him.

"I think they might pass us by. I don't know. I hope. I'm told they're closing on Gresit." Piter says.

"Serves 'em right. Stuck-up bastards." Bosha says bitterly.

"Ah, come on." The bartender says. Trying to ease the fat farmer's oncoming rant.

"No. No, it all comes down to the families and the houses, doesn't it? The great houses of Gresit." Bosha says as he hawks and spits. "Vlad Dracula? An old family. The capital? All run by the great houses. And they're not even the worst. The Belmonts?" Bosha said. The entire time they've been here Miri and Trevor have been sitting at their table in silence as the lone hunter indulges in beer and were half-listening to Bosha rants. But when Bosha mentions the Belmonts, he immediately catches their attention.

"We should have killed all the Belmonts." Bosha says in a dark tone.

"Shit." Trevor cursed under his breath and tries to hide his face.

Chapter 4: Gresit. The Speakers

Chapter Text

"It's all about these old families, like the Belmonts, who control all the power and go to war with each other. And who's caught in the middle?" Bosha asked those around him. Still complaining about the Belmonts family, as Trevor, sitting not far from them, grows more frustrated.

"We are." Kob says.

"We are! Because we don't matter." Bosha shouts. "Do you know why? Where'd you come from?"

"Well, out of your aunt, according to you." Kob says with a light shrug.

"You came from shit. I came from shit. We all came from shit. We just work for a living every day of our lives. We just keep those bastards in food and wool. Slaves! That's what we are. Slaves to great old families and their games." Bosha rants on. Miri felt the atmosphere growing more dimmer and tense. She felt horrible for Trevor. People fear what they don't understand. It's a part of human nature. Miri doesn't mind if it happens to her, but Trevor shouldn't have to sit here and listen to this absurdity.

As the dark brown-haired man looks down at his empty cup, Miri believed that he had drunk more than he should and tugged at his sleeve and said to him, "Do not listen to their unkind words. Please, let us simply withdraw from here." Miri stood up, taking his arm and tried to lead him out the tavern while everyone else was distracted my Bosha.

But Trevor let out a tired sigh and got up, stumbling his way to the bar. "W-wait, no, no...!" Miri said as she tried to grab the man but it was already too late. "Sorry. Can I get my ale? It's just that I think I'm sobering up." He asks the bartender for one last tankard of ale before taking his leave, much to Miri's chagrin.

"All right, all right, but wanna see some coin from you now." The bartender is disinclined to give him another until he's produced some form of payment. Trevor let out an annoyed groan and fumbling through his clothes, his possessions clinking and clanking as he searches for some money. Though he doesn't seem to have any luck. As he's searching for his clothes, Bosha notices a family crest on his tunic. "Hey, what's that on your chest?" He asked in a harsh tone.

"Oh, my shirt." Trevor tells him as he pulls out a bag full of coins. "Just one more tankard, eh? Something to keep me warm while I find a tree to sleep under."

"That's a family crest. I know it." Bosha says, getting more and more confrontational as he steps up to the infamous hunter. Immediately identifying the crest as the Belmont coat-of-arms right away, Trevor tries to diffuse the situation. "I don't. Just one more drink and then I'll leave, all right?" He says.

"That's a Belmont crest." Bosha says.

"Really? Look, here's the money." Trevor said as he tosses the bag onto the counter for his ale, but now the bartender wasn't even going to take it anymore. He just crossed his arms and gave a disapproving stare at the man. "You're a Belmont, aren't you? House of Belmont, Family Belmont!" Bosha yelled at him.

"Never met them. Listen, just forget it. I'll just go." Trevor said. Deciding that this wasn't worth his time and just get out of this before it turns ugly. Before he could get the chance to get his money and leave, Bosha suddenly run up and shoved him back, making the hunter stumble in his steps. "No! You're a Belmont! This is all your fault." He shouted.

Miri's eyes widen and stood up to defend him, but shrank back when Trevor shot her a cold look. His eyes told her to sit down and remain silent. It was clear to her that he didn't want her to get involved in this. Miri stepped down but watched Trevor with concerned filled eyes. "I don't know what you're talking about." Trevor says.

"Yes, you do." Kob says, standing next to his brother as he slammed his fist into his palm. "Yes, you do." Bosha says, having none of Trevor's bullshit. "Everyone knows. The Belmonts dealt in black magic. The Belmonts dealt with monsters."

"The Belmonts fought monsters, son." Trevor said in a dark tone, getting very defensive for his family, only to realise how he's sounding and carelessly looked away. "....So I'm told. This is just an old shirt."

"The Belmonts were excommunicated by the church, banished, disowned, their lands taken because they were evil." Bosha said.

"Evil." Kob repeated.

"And now Dracula's hordes are abroad in the land. And whose fault is that?" Bosha asked, clenching his hand into a tight fist.

"Well, it ain't mine." Trevor told him.

"The Belmonts traded in black magic, and now black magic is all over Wallachia. I think you know exactly whose fault that is." Bosha said.

Yeah. This wasn't worth his time or energy. "I'm leaving, okay? I'm leaving now." Trevor says as he proceeds to go right through the door, but Bosha attempted to grab his shoulder. Trevor smacks his hand away from him as Bosha continues antagonised him. "So you can lead your monster friends back here?"

"So I can find somewhere to piss and somewhere else to sleep." Trevor snapped at him.

"No, you can sleep right here." Bosha said. Miri felt her heart stopped. That sounded like a threat...and the man was serious to hold up to it. "You haven't got your shovel." Trevor said with a smirk. That seemed to be the wrong choice as Bosha delivered a solid punch to Trevor's face, busting his lip and drawing blood. "I don't need it. Confess, and I'll make it quick. What's your name?" Bosha had heard tales of the gipsies being the ones to blame for the demons running amok across the country, and while he shares his support to exterminate them, he instead blames the Belmonts for bringing evil into the world and for the rise of Dracula's army of monsters, so he finds this as the perfect opportunity to rid the world of one of them, but he demands a confession first.

Trevor, however, refuses and tries to set the record straight, and leave, but to no avail. "Jesus of Nazareth. Look, I'm carrying a short sword and a whip." He tells him, showing him the weapons he has on his person. It didn't seem to matter to the fat farmer as in response to that, Bosha gave him a strong kick to the groin. Trevor groans in pain as he keeled down, holding his family jewels.

"Try again." Bosha tells him.

"Trevor Belmont." He admitted. "House of Belmont. Last son of the Belmont family. Happy now?" He asks, glaring at Bosha.

"No." Bosha tells him as he moves in to kick him again but Trevor quickly grabbed his leg. He stood up to his full height, lifted his leg and forced to fall onto the ground. "Oi!" The bartender shouted as he rushed out from behind the bar. Trevor kicked Bosha in the face before the bartender rushed in with a sucker punch as he and Kob tried to gang up on him while stomping on Bosha's face in the process. "Fucking face down here!" He shouted.

The bartender went in for another punch, but Trevor had easily pushed him aside. Piter had landed a punch on him and Trevor gave him a rough shove. The bartender got back up but missed and wound up getting kneed in the gut and punched squarely in the face. It seemed this little brawl was going to Trevor's favour until Kob stepped in. Trevor hadn't expected him to be much taller than him. Or for him to send him flying across the room with a single punch.

"That's how you want it?" Trevor says as he picks himself from the floor. "Listen. I used to fight fucking vampires." He sounded tough but it doesn't do him much good as he was left wide open for Piter to punch him in the face and get behind him to hold his hands tightly behind his back. "Kick him!" Piter shouted. Kob chuckled and happily obliged. Kob kicked Trevor hard in the family jewels and the last Belmont let out a whimper as the men surrounded him.

"Would you please leave my testicles alone?! Ugh!" Trevor shouted as the bartender punched him. The last of the Belmont clan was getting tired of this and had enough of these games. He narrowed his eyes and headbutted Piter's nose. Causing the scranny man to fall to the floor, screaming and holding his face. The bartender went in for another punch but Trevor grabbed his face and slammed it against a table.

"I'm Trevor fucking Belmont, and I've never lost a fight to man nor fucking beast." Trevor said. Bosha, who was still on the floor, kicked at his legs and caused him to fall to the floor. Trevor landed with a loud thud as Kob stood over him laughing. "Oh, shit." He said as Kob brought down a chair on him.

The crows became startled by the sudden sounds of the door opening and flew away as Trevor wobbled out of the tavern with Miri holding him up. Trevor groans as both the alcohol and the fight was beginning to get to him. "Come on, now. Walk straight." Miri says as they took only a few steps before Trevor felt his stomach lurch. "Oh, Christ." Trevor fell to his knees and vomited, emptying his stomach of its contents on to the streets.

Miri kneeled beside him and rubbed his back. "I knew you shouldn't drink so much. This is what happens." She softly chided him. "Come now. Get up." Miri says as she helped him up. Wrapping his arm over her shoulders and started to walk away from the town. "Bastards... I hope you all bleed out. Through your arses! Mm, every last rat bastard one of you." Trevor shouted.

"That's nice. Now, please try to walk straight." Miri says while they left town to seek a place to sleep. Eventually making their way back into the forest. Trevor found a good tree to sleep under and fell asleep in mere seconds on his head hit its roots. Miri gazed at the fallen hunter and sighed. This was the same way she found him before. When will he learn to take care of himself? Miri took off her cloak and covered him with it. She then carefully lifted his head and laid it on her lap. Miri sighed but still smiled kindly at him. "While your methods are a bit less to be desired...you're still a lot braver than me." She says as she stroked his head, soothing the headache that will surely come the next morning. "Sleep well, Sir Belmont." Miri told him as she fell asleep soon after.

The following morning rolled by, and Trevor slowly awoken at the sunlight's ray. He let out a sigh as he sat up, nursing his headache. He turned around and saw Miri resting against the tree. Damn it, no wonder he slept so well. Kid must've looked after him while she was slumped over like that. Trevor stood up and reached for her shoulder. Shaking her as he said, "Hey! Wake up." The sudden force of him shaking her, quickly awoken Miri from her sleep and looked up at Trevor in startled confusion.

"What is wrong? Has something happened?" She asked.

"No. Now that you're up, let's get moving." Trevor says as he began to walk on ahead. Miri got up and ran to catch up to him. She saw him reaching up to pinch the bridge on his nose and suspected that he must've gotten a hangover again. Before she could ask if he needed her medicine again, he quickly brought up a hand and said, "No, I'm fine." Miri tilted her head at that but nodded nonetheless. She'll let him deal with that for now.

As they walked through the forest, Trevor spotted a city that wasn't too far away. "Bloody Gresit." He said as he stopped walking. Miri stopped as well as she took in the city before her. She blinked when she saw a massive wall surrounding it. "Last stop between me and starvation. The next town's 40 bloody miles away." Trevor says as he groans.

"I do not understand what you mean, Sir Belmont. The forest has several things for which to feast upon. Berries, nuts, and animals here and there." Miri told him.

"Really?" Trevor asked with uncertainty. But in all things considering he can trust what this girl would catch and/or find when they do decide to walk the 40 miles. "Ugh...fine." Least with her knowledge of the forest, he wouldn't starve to death. Miri nodded her head and was about to offer that she could go and retrieve his much-needed nourishments when she had almost forgotten something. "My sincere apologies, I have forgotten to give this back to you." She said, reaching into her small pouch and pulling out his coin sack.

"When did you have that?" Trevor asked as he grabbed his coins. He remembered that he tossed it at the bar last night before that whole fight broke out, so when did she...? "A thousand apologies. While those men were fighting you, I slipped through and grabbed it. Forgive me for not aiding you, Sir Belmont." Miri said as she gave a small bow.

"It's fine. You got it back, so I think we have enough to last for a while. And stop bowing at me, it's making me very uncomfortable." Trevor told her.

"Right. I'm sorry." Miri said as she stood up straight.

"And stop apologising all the time. Miri, you seriously need to learn to-." Trevor started to say before he was cut off by an unholy screeching. The former-hunter and gipsy looked back at Gresit and saw a small horde of demonic goblins running out of Gresit, meaning that the city was under siege by Dracula's army. As evidence when one of the demons held a bloodied, dead infant in its jaws.

Screams ripped through the city as the people inside their homes awoke to the neverending nightmares that plagued them. One woman screamed when she woke up to find her husband lying dead beside her. His jugular was violently ripped out and bits of his flesh was eaten. Another woman shrieked in horror and despair when she found her baby gone. Leaving a pool of blood on their crib and a broken window beside it. One child, if you can even call it that, was lucky to escape last night's killing, however, he sat in his dimly lit home, shaking uncontrollably while clutching a cross in his hands as his parents' mangled corpses and their blood decorating the floor and walls.

Outside wasn't any better. Flies and maggots feasted upon the many rotting severed heads on stakes and entrails that line the walls, their homes and small shops. Trevor and Miri walked down towards the city once the demons had left and when they were close enough, saw that the entrance would be proven difficult to get through. The townsfolk are so fearful that the gates are barricaded with no one being able to get in or get out.

"No one's getting in, and no one's getting out. Pretty sure they wouldn't do that just to deny me breakfast." Trevor said. Miri looked to the side of the wall and tugged at Trevor's sleeve, pointing over to the corner of the city. "Sir Belmont, I believe there is another way. I'm quite certain I saw a drain of some sort." She said as she began leading him to the other side of the city's defence. They looked and, fortunately for them, no one has bothered to repair the broken grate over the city's sewer outlet.

As they began walking towards it, Trevor stopped when he looked down to see the water surrounding most of the way, gurgling. Making him grunt in disgust. He looked up and was a little surprised to find that Miri was already halfway to the drainage pipe. Wasn't she disgusted by this? Not wanting to just stand around, Trevor held up the end of his cloak and jumped on the log and broken cross to have a safe passageway to the outlet next to Miri.

Trevor looked inside the draining outlet and immediately heard water rushing. His eyes widen once he knew what was coming and pulled back, pushing Miri behind him as filthy, disgusting-smelling water flowed out from the drain. "God forbid you should warn anyone before emptying your fucking shit pots." Trevor says.

"I think that is all we have to worry about. Let us be going, Sir Belmont." Miri says as she climbs into the sewage outlet without regarding the putrid order, much to the former hunter's bewilderment. He briefly wonders how Miri's survivalist life must've been without the constant stress of being hunted. Thinking that should be discussed at a later time, Trevor pulled up his cloak and shudders when he climbs inside. "Never thought I'd be so hungry I'd climb a shit pipe in pursuit of breakfast. Oh, never mind." He grumbles.

When they reached the other side of the outlet, Trevor looked up and pulled Miri back. Up on top of the stairs was a guard. Trevor cautiously moved themselves to the staircase and he leans down to Miri's ear. "Stay here and stay quiet." He whispered to her. The gipsy girl looked at him with uncertainty but she nodded her head as watched he climbs up the stairs towards the guard. Trevor silently sneaked up to the guard and kneeled a bit to reach for the dagger in his boot. With his weapon in hand and ready, Trevor was ready to ambush the guard when the armoured man tilted his head and let out a snore. Showing that he was asleep. Trevor chuckles as he walked back and motioned for Miri to come up.

Once she reached his side, he took her hand and the two swiftly, but silently, ran past the sleeping guard. Now that they were inside, they could see how much death and destruction the demons had caused. Many buildings and homes were desolated and crumbled down to rubble. Claw marks covered the walls and it appeared that people that lived within Gresit have become numb and their eyes held no life in them. Most of them were sleeping or were now living in tattered makeshift tents with little to no food. Miri's heart ached when her eyes gazed upon them. As far she was concerned, these were good people and didn't deserve to live this.

And as much as she wanted to reach out to them, Trevor wrapped his arm around her shoulder and pulled her back, making her walk away from them. "Don't look at them. Your help won't mean anything to them. Just keep walking." He told her. Miri stared up at him with a heartbroken expression and wanted to argue, but she knew that he was right. Knowing what she was, even if she were to lend her hand, they would never accept it. But that still didn't make the pain any less worse. They walked down a street bridge where they saw two men carrying a corpse. Before tossing the body over the bridge.

The two looked over the edge and saw the ditches beneath the street bridges are piled high with rotting, mangled corpses. While Trevor was unfazed and impassive by the sight and spat out over the bridge, Miri was deeply saddened by it and felt sorrow for the people who have lost their lives. She clasped her hands together and gave a small prayer for them. She then used her magic to create a small boutique of snowdrop and letting drop down to the bodies below.

Eventually, the two then walked towards the city square, and the hunter climbed up to a small ledge as he oversees the square. He saw many people cleaning up the bodies and organs and blood to the best of their abilities while they also tried comforting each other. As for the rest of the townsfolk, they were justing to maintain their business and spoke amongst themselves.

Trevor jumped down and went to the gipsy, fixing and adjusting her hood so that her face would be keep obscured. Once Trevor was sure that it was concealed enough, he and Miri walked towards one of the stands smelling meat and the former hunter walked up towards the woman managing it. "What will a few coins buy me?" He asked the woman.

"Bits of dried goat. Haven't seen you two before." The woman said.

"We're just passing through. I'll take it, thanks." Trevor told her with a slight smile.

The woman nodded and began cutting several pieces of goat jerky for the two travellers. "You want to pass through quicker." She said to Trevor.

"Yeah, I guess you've got some troubles here. Is there a defence effort?" He asked.

"Don't need it. We got a tribe of Speakers in the city. Once we've done what needs to be done, the demons will leave us alone." The woman said.

"Speakers?" Miri asked before Trevor quickly pays for their food and lead her away from the stand. He was curious about the Speakers as well and what exactly is going on in this city, so the two of them walk about, munching on their meagre breakfast and talking with several of the town's residents. Several of them mention a local legend of the "sleeping soldier", a great warrior who supposedly sleeps in the catacombs of the city, but the residents are divided as to the cause of Gresit's current troubles - many blame the small tribe of Speakers in the city.

"There's an old story, the Sleeping Soldier. They say he was a great hero hundreds of years ago, but now he sleeps under the catacombs." A kindly-looking man said.

"Hmm, what for?" Trevor asked.

"To wait until he's needed again, of course. I think he'll come back."

"Really?"

"Oh, yes, but keep it quiet. The new bishop hates the old wisdom." He said, catching Miri's attention. "Excuse me..?" She asked softly. "But is not having wisdom, new or old, considered a good thing? It grants us the ability to think and act using knowledge, experience, understanding, common sense and insight." The man smiled a small, sad smile at the young girl. "Haha, you are indeed correct, but as you know, Dracula's monsters come at night, but the bishop's men come in the middle of the day. You know what I mean?" He darkly warns him.

"You know what I think? I think the Speakers make the Sleeping Soldier ill. We have no defences, so of course, Dracula's bastards come over the wall every night." A young woman says.

"The bishop will sort things out. This city has, not to put too fine a point on it, gone to hell. If the others will just do as he says when he tells us to do it, then all will be in order." Another man said. From they could gather from them, not only do some of the people believe in the Sleeping Soldier, but most are confident that, once the Speakers are purged, as the Bishop has ordered, the demons will leave the city as well. The way the people spoke about purging this group of Speakers gave Miri back those horrible memories of that night five years ago. When her beloved parents and people were attacked. Her heart sank to her stomach as she slowly begins to realise that the same thing was going to them.

While strolling down a street, Trevor and Miri encountered three men walking in the opposite direction from them. Trevor quickly pushed the young girl behind him as two of these men - wore the vestments of holy priests, but otherwise carried the air of street thugs. The priests shove an elderly man who wore blue and white robes into an alley. Trevor initially wanted to walk away from this, but Miri stopped him by grabbing his wrist and the two watched the scene play out.

"I warned you. You can't say I didn't warn you." One the priests say when he draws a cross-shaped stave.

"You did not listen to me, sir." The old man says, speaking calmly and kindly to the priests.

"Are you talking back to me?" The priest asked as he pointed his stave at him. The old man remained cool and collected as he pushed the stave aside. "No, I'm merely talking to you." He said. "Anyone can see that we are not responsible for what befalls Gresit."

"Sir Belmont, I think he is one of the Speakers. We should-." Miri said before Trevor cut her off. 

"No, keep walking." He said. However, Miri could tell that he was mostly saying that to himself.

"So, now I'm stupid? I work within the light of God Himself, but you can see things I can't with your magic?" The priest said, continuing to berate and verbally abuse the old man.

"There's no magic, sir. We are here to help, that's all." The Elder said. Remaining calm even when the priest got close to his face and glared at him. "Speakers don't help. Speakers are tainted. You attract evil, and you and yours were told to be out of Gresit by sunset." He said as he grabbed the Elder's face and forced him to look up. "And see? The sun is up. Take a good look at the sunrise, old man."

"He's going to hurt him..!" Miri says. Her hood being thrown back as she started running towards the men before Trevor could have a chance to stop her. But he sighed as he stared coldly at the priests.

"Will killing an old man make you less scared of the dark?" The Elder asked him.

"I don't know. Maybe it will just make me feel better." The priest says as he raises his stave and prepares to beat the old man to death. When they suddenly heard a young voice calling out to them. "Please, stop! Don't hurt him!" The priests turned around and saw a young girl running towards them. But not just any girl. "A gipsy!" The priest shouted. Before either of the priests could hurt her or the Elder, Trevor lashes out with his whip and strikes at the one with the stave. He intended to just knock it out of his hand, but in doing so, and with being out of practice, Trevor also took off the priest's index finger and causing him to drop the stave.

As the priest groan and cried out in pain, falling to his knees, Trevor rubs the back of his neck and says, "Oh, hell. I'm sorry. I was trying to snatch the stave out of your hand. How's your finger?"

"What fucking finger?!" The priest, uncharacteristically, cursed at him.

"That's no way for a man of the cloth to talk. Why don't you go and get that looked at?" Trevor tells him with a smug look.

"Kill the bastard!" The wounded priest ordered the second one as he clutched his hand.

"Look, I don't like priests at the best of times. I mean, I really, really don't like priests. If you leave now, we'll say no more about it." Trevor says, proposing the idea that the two priests leave the old man alone and depart without further violence. While this was going on, Miri went over to the Elder and pulls him away from the situation, making sure that he didn't have any injuries.

"Kill him now!" The priest strongly commanded.

"Last warning. This will get nasty." Trevor said, still looking smug. The second priest looks between him and his friend for a moment before glaring at the last Belmont and drawing a knife. "Oh, now, that's a funny thing for a priest to be carrying. That's a thief's knife." Trevor says. The second priest spins the blade in his hand before lunges at Trevor. "Seriously? I'm out of practice, but I'm stone-cold sober. Someone will get hurt." The man said as he swiftly dodges the second priest's attack. The second one tried to attack again but neither of the priests realizes they are dealing with a trained fighter.

The second priest attempted to stab him but Trevor quickly wraps his whip around the man's arm, spun him around before shoving him away. The second priest glared at him when he looked down and saw that his leg was wrapped by Trevor's whip. Nonchalantly, with one flick of his wrist, Trevor cracked it, sending the man falling to the ground. Growling beneath his breath the priest got back to try to kill him. He slashed the air, trying to stab him, but Trevor was quicker and avoided his amateurish strikes. After shoving him away, Trevor cracks his whip at the other man and rips his left eyeball clean out of its socket.

As the second priest screams in agony and since he was done with trying to be reasonable, Trevor walks to the other priest and orders him, "Pick him up. Take him back to your church. Don't bother this man or his people again. And don't even try to come bother that girl when I'm around." Without any hesitation, the priest picked himself up, grabbed his cohort and the two quickly made themselves scarce.

"Are you not injured, sir? If you are, I'd be more than happy to heal you." Miri asked the Elder. The old man smiled kindly at the girl and shook his head. "No, I'm alright. Thank you, young one." He says as the two of them walk back towards the former hunter. "The violence wasn't necessary, sir. But," The Elder says as he let out a chuckle. "It is appreciated. I am the elder of the Codrii Speakers. Thank you and your young friend here, for your kindness and, I think, your restraint."

"You're welcome, Elder. Can we accompany you to your train?" Trevor asked him.

"We have settled here in Gresit. No caravans. But I would be glad of your company on the way to our lodging." The Elders said as he invites him and Miri to stay in his tribe's hut, and the two took him up on that offer and walked him back to where he was staying.

Chapter 5: A joyous reunion. The Bishop's call

Chapter Text

"How many are you?" Trevor asked while on the way to the hut.

"Eleven, though I insist we be counted as 13." The Elder says. "Two of us is missing, you see. This is where we live. Please, come inside. Meet my people." The Elder motioned towards a decent-sized house. It looked homey and it was in a better condition in comparison to the rest of the buildings. The three of them walked towards the house and made their way inside. Miri looked around the nearly barren home, seeing it being lit up by only candle and a small fireplace. Already, just by seeing that and the rest of The Speakers, Miri felt a wave of nostalgia and peace. It reminded her of her own family, especially when one of the younger Speakers rose to greet the Elder.

"Elder, we were worried about you. I told you it was too soon to go outdoors." He told him, his voice was filled with concern for the elder man's safety.

"And I told you it was necessary to offer aid to the people. However, I was met by some of the Christian priests." The Elder said.

"Are you all right?"

"Thanks to this man and young girl." The Elder smiled as he turned to face his guests. "Although I fear there may be trouble ahead because of it."

"What did you do?" The young Speaker asked. His eyes went to the Miri, but she slowly shook her head and motioned towards the man beside her. "I'm a little out of practice. They're both still alive." Trevor said.

"You used violence on them?" He asked, visibly mortified as if the idea of using violence on anyone was the most unthinkable thing in the world. The Elder gave a smile towards the young man as he said, "The younger people believe that words can speak louder than actions."

"Well, you're Speakers. Words are what you do." Trevor says.

"You know of us?" The young Speaker questioned.

"My family's always been on good terms with Speakers, although my father once got into a fight with one." Trevor explained as he walked towards one of the windows.

"Oh goodness..." Miri said as she gasps softly.

"True Speakers do not fight."

"When he tried to convince a Speaker to have your oral history transcribed on paper." Trevor said.

The Elder let out a small laugh. "Ah, yes, we are quite protective of our ways. History is a living thing. Paper is dead. Would you like something to eat?"

"I'd prefer something to drink." Trevor says.

"As will I, please." Miri says politely. 

"Arn, bring our friends some water." The Elder tells the younger Speaker.

"Oh, the never mind, then." Trevor says with a wave of his hand. "Maybe you can just tell me why you're here."

"Speakers live anywhere they deem right. You must know that." Arn said.

"I know Speakers are nomadic tribes. You seem to have been here a while." Trevor tells him.

"And how do you know that?" Arn asked.

"It is because the people living here are unjustifiably blaming you for the attacks." Miri said.

"That's the church's doing. They need something to blame." Arn said, turning to her. "To divert people from the truth, that the church itself brought Dracula's hordes down on the land." The Elder added. That's when he and the rest of the Speakers saw that her face completely fell at that and she clutched at her pendant. They then realised that she was a gipsy girl and could tell right away that she and her people had no doubt faced the same injustice.

"Really?" Trevor asked. Keeping his eyes on Miri.

"There were Speakers in Targoviste one year ago. The church burned Dracula's wife at the stake as a witch." The Elder explained.

"Shit." Trevor breathed out.

"That is indeed one way of putting it." The Elder said.

"But you didn't answer my question." Trevor said as he turned to the older man. The Elder closed his eyes for a moment before walking past Trevor and taking a seat near the corners. "There is no structure left in Gresit. No doctors, no aid. If you know Speakers, then you know we can't turn away from those in need. That is why we are here." He explained. That makes so much sense. The Speakers have come to Gresit to offer aid to its people since medical services and even basic order have broken down with the nightly invasions by demons. Once again, Miri found herself envious of others who had the strength and courage to do good despite being hated.

"May as well tell him the rest." Arn says as he and Miri walks up beside Trevor. The Elder let out a sigh before continuing. "In Speaker history, there is an old story, a legend, probably." He began.

"I like stories." Trevor says before he was lightly swatted by the young gipsy girl. "Hush!" She scolded.

"The story says that a saviour sleeps under Gresit, a great hero who sleeps until he is needed. Until there is a darkness upon the land." The Elder said.

"Oh, I heard that one. The Sleeping Soldier. It's a local legend. Sounds weirdly convenient to me, if you know what I mean." Trevor said, not caring at all about this 'legend' if it's even real.

"Exactly how much do you know about us, sir?" The Elder asked him.

"I'm a Belmont." Trevor says as he moves his cloak to reveal his family coat of arms on his tunic. "So I know you're a nomadic people who gather knowledge, memorize it, carry complete spoken histories with you. I also know, you gather hidden knowledge and have practitioners of magic knowledge in your tribes."

"A Belmont? I thought your family had vanished." Arn said, surprised to know that the Belmont clan were around. 

"If vanished is the polite way of saying exiled, hated, and burned out of the ancestral home, then..." Trevor said.

"Then you know something of magic, and so you know that just because we found a story in our past, it doesn't mean it originated there." The Elder says. "The wisest and cleverest of our magicians know that dying is not absolute, that it is possible to hear stories from the future."

"So, you think there's someone that can save the city asleep under it, and you're here to wait for him?" Trevor questioned.

"Two of us went to look for him." The Elder said.

"This would be your "missing" Speakers?" He inquired.

"Yes. The two of them went into the catacombs under the mausoleum west of the church. Has not returned."

"Isn't there a headman in Gresit you could go to?" Miri asked the old man.

"He died in the first horde attack. Our searches have been unsuccessful." The Elder said. "So, what are your plans?"

"Find some more food, find some drink, get drunk, eat some food, move on." Trevor says, rather lazily. Miri gave him a stare before shaking her head at his aloof behaviour.

"That's it?" Arn questioned.

"Maybe find a tall tree, sit in it, watch the show before I move on, all the good little people dying horribly, all that." Trevor said.

"Sir Belmont..." Miri said.

"You feel no compassion?" The Elder asked.

"This is what the church wanted. My family were the only people who could've fought Dracula and his army, but they didn't want us." Trevor said, his voice was strong and held a steady form of anger. "They wanted to fight the darkness on their own terms, good luck to them."

"But the ordinary people of Wallachia, they didn't get the choice." The Elder says.

"For evil bastards to win power, all ordinary people have to do is stand aside and keep quiet. There's always a choice." Trevor said.

"Well, find a good tall tree. You can watch us die, too." The Elder said sadly.

"Don't be crazy. Leave now. Head south, hook up with another train." Trevor told him. Miri gave a small smile. Regardless of what he said about watching people die, Trevor wasn't going to let these people die needlessly. But he was right about the Speakers leaving this city. It is not safe for them to stay, while the Church is blaming them for those invasions, and, from what she and Trevor saw and heard, too many of the people are willing to believe it.

"It's his grandchild!" Arn said suddenly

"Arn!"

"I don't care! It's the elder's grandchild down there alone with one that girl's people." Arn said. Miri's eyes widened in shock as she felt her heart skip several beats. One of her people is alive? The thought of not being the last one filled her soul with more life and hope than anything else before. All this time, someone else was still here. She wasn't alone. She gave a relieved smile as tears began to form in her eyes. "Miss, one of your people had recently joined our tribe and he went down there with the Elder's grandchild. We can't even bury them. It's not our way to just leave our dead unattended to!" Arn told the two.

"We stay for the people of Gresit." The Elder says.

"Yes, we do. But we also stay because we hope." Arn says.

"So, you're staying to die with the good people of Gresit, not just because it's a good thing to do, but because you don't have your grandchild's or some kid's body?" Trevor questioned them.

"Sir Belmont..!" Miri scolded again, shooting him another stare. "If you want to put it that way." Trevor looked back at Miri and let out a sigh. He walked towards the fireplace and stood in front of the flames. Thinking everything over before he says, "If I go and recover those kids' body, will you please leave? Wait outside the city. Give your aid to the survivors when the night horde finally just rips through this place."

"Why would you do that?" Arn asks him.

"They're going to come for you soon and Miri. The "good" people. It's gonna be a pogrom." Trevor says as he turns to face them. His face stone-cold. "They were talking about it in the marketplace this morning."

"I don't think you answered my question." Arn says as Trevor walks up to him, with all seriousness. "I know what it's like to be persecuted by your own country for the accident of your birth." He says, taking a glance at the young girl who he chose to have travel with him up to this point. Yes...he knew exactly what it was like. To be hated. To be feared. To be persecuted for just being alive. As he thought before, he had to face that hell once already, but he was never going to allow the same thing to happen to Miri or anyone else. "If I find your grandchild and that kid, will you leave this city before nightfall?

"If that is the condition of your recovering, then yes." The Elder says.

With the terms and conditions made, it was time to get to work. Trevor cracked his knuckles and began walking towards the door, swiping an apple out of one of the Speaker's hands. Miri followed closely behind but giving the Speaker some barries to help replace the fruit. "I'm leaving now. Don't go walkabouts looking for people to give support to. Stay right here." Trevor ordered them as he takes a bit out the apple.

"Belmont." The Elder called out to him, making he and Miri turn to him. "It is not dying that frightens us. It's living without ever having done our best."

"...I don't care." Trevor says as he walks out of the hut. Miri turn to give the Speakers a polite bow as she says, "We'll make sure to bring your grandchild and fellow Speaker home safely. And...thank you..." Miri stood back up as she gave a warm, grateful smile. "For giving me hope that I'm not the only one." She said. The Speakers gave the girl a kind smile as she closed the door behind her and ran up to catch up to Trevor.

The two walked through the snowy trail, passing by many tombstones as they reached the building that will lead them to the catacombs. Trevor pushed open the heavy doors, letting the sunlight into the building. It seems that no one has been here for some time. Knight's armour decorated the walls while mural of several statues of gargoyles, snakes and some ghoulish-looking creatures rested at the back of the room. In the centre laid a grand coffin.

Miri tugged at Trevor's sleeve and pointed at an opening in the mural. Seeing that that could be the way to where they need to go, the two climbed up the mural and slide down the opening down to the catacombs. Upon arriving, they were met with the coldness the darkness had brought in. Miri held her pendant and used its magic to create a light source for them. She shined it at the wall and found many torches mounted on them.

Trevor walked up and grabbed hold at one of them and smelled something odd. He brought the torch close and took a whiff. "Fresh oil." He said. He reached for one of his smaller knives and held the torch against the wall. He struck his knife the wall, creating a spark and lighting the torch. Now, with two light sources, they could see clearly.

"Anybody home?" Trevor called as he looked around, spotting a pipe nearby, from the sounds of it, it was carrying liquid inside. He walked towards at it and tap it with his knuckles. "Warm. That's weird." Trevor says.

"Why would something like that be in a place for the dead?" Miri asked. The two jumped when they head odd noises that were scattered around in the distance. Trevor held out his arm to keep her at a safe distance as he pulls out his short sword and the two cautiously walked down the hall and found a set of stairs that seem to lead down an even deeper portion of the catacombs.

"I can hear you. I'm armed, and a lot less happy than you are, so you want to stay well out of my way." Trevor says as they walked down the stone steps. Just the former hunter was about to reach the bottom, Miri suddenly let out a gasp as she tried to reach him. "Sir Belmont, wait, it's-!" She called out, but it was too late. Once Trevor reached the bottom of the stairs, the floor gave way and the two fell right through. Trevor let out a yell and managed to land safely on his feet, with a few of the rubble softening the landing. While Miri floated down beside him.

"Reflexes like a cat." Trevor says. He noticed that Miri was still floating, grabbed his hand and she said, "Sir Belmont, grabbed hold of me. The floor is-." But she was sadly interrupted when the floor gave away once more sending Trevor crashing through. Falling even farther distance, losing his torch and landing on his back. Miri gracefully floated down and landed beside him. "Are you alright, Sir Belmont?" She asked.

Trevor raised an eyebrow. "Yes, I'm perfectly fine." He says as he got up with Miri's help. The two looked around and the girl wondered at how many levels do these catacombs have. While there Trevor encounters something even stranger than freshly oil torches and metal pipes. Lights had turned on, lighting up the room and nearly blinding the two. Soon more of them began lighting themselves throughout the room, where they found several statues of different people, two of them wore Speaker robes.

Miri quickly ran towards the two statues, hoping to see a familiar face, but was unable to due to the hoods concealing their faces. But other than that, who would take the time in creating statues of Speakers. Trevor walked and tapped out of them with his sword and said, "Either someone left a statue of Speakers down here or-." Trevor had only a half-second to guess what he is dealing with before the sound of doors being flung opened caused the two to turn around and see a giant, beast of a Cyclops appearing from the other room and took notice of the two intruders. It's eye glowing devilish red.

"Cyclops!" Trevor shouted. The eye glowed brighter and quickly knowing what it was going to do, Trevor acted fast and tackled Miri out of the way, right as it attacked them with a powerful beam from its eye. Trevor dragged her to safety as the Cyclops tried hitting them with its beam. The former hunter and gipsy hid behind a pillar, and the girl looked up at him with wide eyes and asked, "What earth is that abomination?!"

"Stone-eye cyclops. Right out of the family bestiary. God shits in my dinner once again." Trevor says.

"Look out!" Miri cried out as the Cyclops peeked through the pillar and the two scattered away, getting separated in the process. Trevor hides behind another and peeks out, looking for that beast. However, he was momentarily confused as he couldn't find the damn thing before it grabbed him by his head and threw him across the room like a ragdoll, crashing against on the lights in the process. As Trevor groans in pain, the Cyclopes was about to fire its beam at him when it saw ice being formed on its legs. It turned to see Miri standing there with her hands glowing light blue.

It turned around to go after her now and it fired its beam. Miri raised her hand and a wall of ice sprouted from the ground, shielding herself from its attacks. But she knew that it would be enough, she had to get it away from Trevor. She ran off while created icicle spears and launching at the beast. She switched from making shields, to attacking, to hiding behind the pillars. She was about to run towards another pillar for cover when it shot its beam in front of her, making her jump back. Miri quickly created her ice shield as soon as it launched its attack.

Miri grit her teeth as she tried to keep her shield from falling apart, but the more she tried putting more power into it, the more the beast seemed determined to turn her to stone. Miri let out a gasp when she saw her shield beginning to crack. Any second now it was going to shatter. Fortunately, Trevor had ran up and threw his sword straight towards the Cyclops, right in its heart. However, it didn't seem to faze the beast and kept moving.

"Come on. Come on! You're dead! Stop and notice you're dead." Trevor said as the beast starting attacking again. He grabbed Miri's hand and they took cover once more. The blast barely missed and turned part of Trevor's cloak to stone. "Ugh! Bastard." He said.

"It seems that the only to end its life is to aim for the eye." Miri said as she and Trevor ran out and confronted the beast again. It fired its beam, but they managed to avoid it. Trevor took out his whip and used it to wrap around his sword and yank it out. Miri ran up and fired a chunk of ice up at the beast, striking it underneath its jaw and shot her hands out. Freezing it place. "Sir Belmont!"

"I'm on it!"  He shouts as, with great skill, manoeuvred his whip so that it would be launched into the sky. He quickly ran up and used one of the Speakers statutes as leverage to jump up and kicked his sword straight into the Cyclops's eye. Effectively, killing it. Creating a huge thud as it collapses into the ground. With the monster now dead, the two statues began to topple. Miri and Trevor quickly ran up to catch them and they were reanimated back to their human form - revealing them to be a young woman and a young boy.

The woman looked at Trevor for a moment before feeling her belly lurch and shoved him away as she fell to the ground to empty the contents of her stomach. "Granddaughter, then." Trevor said.

Miri carefully set the young man down when he looked so disorientated. She patted his back and gently asks him, "Please...let me see your face. Are you a brother of mine?" The boy took a few deep breaths before slowly looking up Miri. He looked to be about her age, had dark skin, indigo eyes, and long, wavy black hair worn that was tied in a low ponytail. Miri's eyes widened in shock as did the boy when he saw her.

Miri gripped at her chest as tears fell from her eyes. No...it couldn't be...could it? ".....Pyramus?" She asked softly. The boy let out a gasp as he said, "Miri?" The silver-lavender eyed girl let out a choked sob as she and Pyramus dove in to give each other a big hug. Neither of them could believe it. All this time they thought they were alone in the world, but now, seeing their best friend again had ignited their faith tenfold. Miri's prayers were answered once more.

"I can't believe it... You're alive! How?" Miri asked once they pulled away.

"I am unable to tell you in words, for it was a trail of tribulation for me to escape. But I'm so glad you are still alive and well, Miri! My dearest friend." Pyramus told her with a relieved smile as he cupped her face. Miri happily nodded as the two embraced each other again.

Trevor walked back after he retrieved his sword back and gave a small smile at the two gipsies. He found himself feeling a sense of pride when he saw Miri give, what he thought, the most real and happy smile she had ever had in a long time. He turned back to the young woman and said, "I wish Speakers wouldn't do that."

"What?" She asked, confused.

"Dress the girls like boys." Trevor clarified.

"It's safer when we travel. What happened?" The woman asked as Miri and Pyramus walked up to them. 

"You and that kid walked into a cyclops. Turns you to stone with its eyeball and feeds on your terror while you're trapped in your own body." Trevor tells her.

"Did...did you climb on me?" The woman asked with a questionable look.

"Mm, a bit." Trevor said.

"That was rude." She said as she crosses her arms.

"Excuse me?"

"Who are you, anyway?" She asked him.

"I met your grandfather. He wouldn't leave the city until he had your bodies. I came down to recover your remains so the Speakers would go to safety." Trevor explained to her. Pyramus looked in between him and Miri in slight confusion before asking, "Are you and my sister the ones who have come here saved us?"

"You could say that." Trevor said, turning his sights at the younger girl. "You never told me you had a brother."

Miri shook her head. "I do not. I was born an only child, but my parents, as well as Pyramus's, were once very close friends, and so the two of us were raised as siblings." She explained.

"Ah, I see." He said.

Pyramus smiled as he walked up to Trevor and gave a humble bow. "I offer you my sincerest gratitude. Thank you very much for coming here. I am in your debt." He said.

"That's great, now stop bowing. I don't like it." Trevor says as Pyramus stood up straight. Giving a nod and a smile. "Yes, of course. My apologies." He said.

"Ugh, you have to be siblings. I swear I've only met two of you but gipsies are a strange bunch are they?" Trevor said, causing the two to laugh a bit. "That sounds like a reasonable compliment in my opinion." The boy said.

Miri nodded her head in agreement and said, "Well, shall we be off now? Your friends are worried about you."

"But the Sleeping Warrior is still down here." The woman said, protesting that the Sleeping Soldier that everyone has been talking about is still down there with them. Pyramus let out an 'Ah' sound and walked to the woman's side. "She is right. Humanity's hope of salvation is here somewhere." 

"There is no Sleeping Warrior, just a cyclops waiting for people stupid enough to go looking. It's a trap for gullible Speakers. You're not popular around here." Trevor says as he starts to walk away.

"The old wisdom says the tomb is guarded-." The woman says before Trevor cut her off. "Yeah, yeah. Come on, time to go home. Your people think you're dead. The least you can do is set that old man's mind to rest." He said.

"He thinks we're dead?" Pyramus asked, in slight shock.

"He wasn't much wrong. Killing a cyclops is the only way to restore a victim. Didn't think I'd manage it." Trevor says.

"Who are you?" The woman asked.

"Trevor Belmont. The girl there is Miri." Trevor said, half-assedly introducing himself and Miri to the woman. When Trevor said his name, Pyramus whole face light up and smiled brightly and he walked towards him. "Belmont? Do you mean the great House of Belmont? My word, good Sir, it is truly an honour to be in your presence-."

"No! No, no, no. Stop it, I'm not dealing with that again." Trevor cut him off as he waved the boy away. The gipsy boy took a step back but he still held a smile on his face. "But the Belmonts fight monsters." The woman said.

"I'm out of practice. Let's show you to your grandfather, and then you can come down here and get killed again. Deal?" Trevor says. Since the other Speakers believe her and the kid to be dead, the least they could do is return to the surface with him and put their minds at ease. But if she wants to come back down here and get killed that's on her. Though she was reluctant, she turns to the younger male and by gaining a nod of agreement, she agrees. "Very well. I'm Sypha Belnades. This is Pyramus."

"I don't care." Trevor says as he walks away. "Sir Belmont, wait. You need to learn to be polite." Miri says as she runs after him. Soon the other victims of the Cyclops began to turn back to normal, but there were already dead. As Sypha's eyes widen at the sight, the young boy reached for her hand and began to gently lead her away. "Come Ms. Sypha, let's be off now." Pyramus said as he and the others left the catacombs.

The two return to the Speakers hut and upon arrival, the Elder was overjoyed when he sees that Sypha and Pyramus were still alive. The two of them smiled at the Elder and they ran up to give the old man a big hug. The Elder tightens his hold on them as he gives the former hunter and young girl a grateful smile. "Thank you." He said.

"Mm. You're welcome." Trevor said. He felt Miri grab his hand and he looked down to find her smiling at him, which caused to turn away.

"We failed to find the Sleeper. I'm sorry!" Sypha tells her grandfather. But the old man couldn't care less about that. All that matters to him was that she and Pyramus were safe. "Oh, hush. Hush now, my angel." The Elder says.

"I very much doubt there's anyone down there. It's probably a booby-trapped legend. There's someone wriggling with pleasure in his coffin right now thinking of people like your girl walking into the cyclops he left down there." Trevor tells them. Still believing that the whole 'Sleeping Soldier' is nothing but pointless folktale myth. However, he does believe that it may be something else.

"Or perhaps there is something down there so important that it must be guarded by monsters." Sypha says, insisting that the myth is real.

"Your Messiah isn't down there." Trevor says.

"Sir Belmont." Miri said.

"Forgive me, Lord Belmont, but I'm not understanding. What makes you so certain that humanity's hope isn't there?" Pyramus asked the former hunter.

"You Speakers carry information down through the generations. We Belmonts pass things down as well." Trevor said. "Do you remember what we saw down there? Metal veins pumping hot liquid? Torches that light by themselves that exactly fit descriptions written by my great-grandfather. Descriptions of the inside of Dracula's castle. I don't know what's down there, but it's not a messiah." What they saw down in the catacombs matches his great-great grandfather's descriptions of the inside of Dracula's castle - if there was anyone down there, then the last thing they should want to do is wake him up.

"I'll leave you all to it. Farewell Miri." Trevor says as he begins to walk away, and leaving Miri behind. Now that she has found one of her people, there was no need for her to travel with him anymore. Besides, he was sure that she would be safer with them.

"Sir Belmont?"

"No, no, nonsense. Please, stay with us for as long as you like. I cannot begin to repay what I owe you." The Elder says.

"You're leaving tonight, remember?" Trevor says, reminding him.

"Well, uh, yes. Until then." The Elder said.

"Right. I'll come back later. See if you can find some beer." Trevor says as he leaves the hut. Miri's eyes widened as she ran off to catch up with the former hunter. She needed to talk to him. What did he mean farewell? As she left, Sypha murmured out, "I could pee in a bucket and tell him it's beer."

"Sypha, he saved your life!" The Elder scolded her.

"He is right. One mustn't speak that towards one's saviour." Pyramus said.

"He's rude." Sypha says.

"Sir Belmont, wait. What did you mean by farewell?" Miri asked him once she caught up.

Trevor sighed. "Miri, you found one of your people. Isn't that what you wanted?"

"I...Y-yes, but-."

"It's better for you to travel with him and the Speakers from now on. You'll be much safer with them than you will be with me." Trevor tells her.

"But... But Sir Belmont, I still want to-." Miri started to say before Trevor spotted black cloth moving towards and he pulled Miri behind him for protection when they get surrounded by the Bishop's priests, including the two he fought and wounded earlier. "Uh, careful. My knife hand's not too steady. I could slip and take your eye out." The priest with the mangled hand says.

Trevor gave a low growl at him and pushed the girl away slightly. "Miri. Get inside." He ordered. Miri eyed the many priests that surrounded them. Normally, she wouldn't be that afraid of them but these carried daggers and bows and arrows. She had never seen the brothers of the cloth carry such weapons or have she ever seen them this threatening. With much reluctance, Miri complied and ran back inside to safety inside the Speakers hut.

Trevor was glad that none of the priests here made any moves to hurt her. Good thing, otherwise he would have to get ugly with them. Once she was gone, the priest with mangled hand says, "The Bishop of Gresit requests your kind attendance at the church."

"I don't think I'm allowed into churches." Trevor says as he defensively raises his arms.

"The bishop says he'll make an exception in your case." He said.

Trevor bit back a laugh as he tells the priest, "No. Seriously. I realize you're trying to menacingly abduct me, but I'm excommunicated."

"The bishop said to tell you that the terms of even major excommunication mean that you are obliged to appear when summoned by the Church." The priest said.

Trevor let out a scoff. "Well, shit."

Chapter 6: To change one's fate, you must fight back

Chapter Text

"Look, if I enter the church and catch fire or something, it's your fault." Trevor says as he gets "strong-armed" by the priests to come to the church. Normally, he wouldn't have minded so much if they would stop shoving him and jadding him with their knives every time. They entered the church and, save for the men walking in, was completely silent and empty. Trevor didn't see the Bishop anywhere but figured he was around.

Once the priest left the former hunter at the steps to the pulpit, they proceeded to leave the room to give the Bishop a private chat with the filthy heretic. As soon as the left, the Bishop appears before Trevor and stands at the pulpit, staring down at him as if he were superior to that of a lowly hunter. Which the Bishop most likely believes that he is. "I am the Bishop of Gresit." He greets himself.

"You're not from around here." Trevor pointed out.

"No. I'm originally from Targoviste. I was an aide to the archbishop. How did you divine that?" The Bishop asks him.

"Well, you're not running away screaming like the rest of the locals, for one thing." Trevor says.

"From you?" The Bishop asked.

"From the baby-eating freaks of nature who apparently raid Gresit every night." Trevor said.

"I'm here to save Gresit." The Bishop told him.

"And how do you intend to do that?" Trevor questioned with a slight laugh.

"I brought you here to answer some questions, not ask them." The Bishop says with a stern, strict voice.

"Well, tough shit! How exactly do you intend to help these people by killing Speakers?" Trevor asked him.

"The Speakers brought these troubles upon themselves which they have made worse when they took in a horrid gipsy. One cannot live without God. Quite literally in these days." The Bishop told him in a matter-of-fact tone.

"You think the night hordes came because people weren't religious enough?" Trevor said though he said that with a laugh, he was still taken off-guard by how earnest The Bishop was. He can't seriously believe that, could he? "And you were at Targoviste?"

"The Archbishop had certain interests that I believe compromised his ability to protect the city and the country. I was sent away long before Dracula came to Targoviste. We disagreed on matters of clerical discipline." The Bishop told him.

"But you were there for the burning of Dracula's wife. I heard all about that." Trevor shot back at the older man.

"Oh, yes. I arranged it, in fact." Far from denying it, the Bishop takes full credit for Lisa's death. "The woman was a witch. And there can be no doubt now that she consorted with the devil. She even married him. But it wasn't just that woman, the gipsies also had a hand in bringing these devils to run amuck."

"You're referring to Miri's people." Trevor said. The Bishop nearly gave a look of grimace at that. "To think that those lowly heathens would be given names. But yes, they were servants of the devil so they needed to be dealt with. So I arranged for them to be cleansed away. But it seems I wasn't as meticulous as I believed I was since two remain. Along with the wench who cursed this land."

Trevor's eyes went wide as his blood started to boil in his veins. He was the one who murdered Miri's people. He was the one who ordered the death of an innocent girl..! He was the one who made an innocent child's life a living hell for five years! All because they were gipsies..?! People who had nothing to with any of this?! "I see..." Trevor said softly. "And I'm here to be disciplined?"

"Not as such. I have a gift for you." The Bishop tells him. "Your life, Belmont. Take it and go. Tonight, the Speakers and the remaining gipsies will be dealt with, and then Gresit will be secure. I refuse, however, to toil so hard for the soul of this city with an excommunicant heretic within its walls. You could undo everything by your very presence."

"My God. You really believe it, don't you?" Trevor said, shock was plastered on his face as he stared at the Bishop. Trevor was shaken to realize that the Bishop believes every word he is saying, meaning he's not just corrupt and power-hungry - he's insane. He truly believes that burning a woman at the stake, massacring an entire clan and aiming to take the lives of Miri and the Speakers...are acts of righteousness.

"You will leave Gresit by sundown, or you will not see the morning. Do I make myself clear?" The Bishop asked him. "Despite the crimes you've committed against my aides, despite the crimes your family has committed against God, you will walk safely until sundown."

"My family committed no crime." Trevor snapped at him. "You people simply decided we were wrong to defend this land against the supernatural and now-."

"You Belmonts have never understood the power of the Word of God!" The Bishop suddenly shouted at him. "The people of this city are mine and our Lord's now, and they'll do as I ask in His name. By morning, no Speaker and no gipsy will defile these streets, and you will either be gone or be dead. Do you understand?"

"Yes." Trevor says with a cold glare.

"Do this thing for me, and the matter of your excision from the church will be something we can discuss." The Bishop says. Loftily reminding Trevor that he and his family are still excommunicated, which means that the Bishop is within his right to order Trevor executed, but if Trevor leaves the city immediately, the Bishop will grant him mercy - in fact, he might even be able to reverse his ex-communication.

"No offence, but you are just a bishop. Excommunication came from a little higher up the ladder." Trevor scoffs at him as he storms out of the church. That kind of act is well above the Bishop's authority, even if Trevor were interested in taking it. Which he wasn't if it's coming from that psychopath.

Smiling in anticipation, the Bishop replies with, "Targoviste is gone. The other great cities are lost or losing. Gresit will be the last major city in Wallachia. To all intents and purposes, I will be the church."

"I can not begin to thank you for offering me these clothes. If there is any way I can repay for this kindness," Miri says as she puts back on her white cloak and sits down next to Pyramus and Sypha amongst the Speakers, While Trevor had gone with the priests, Pyramus and some of the Speakers took notice that her dress was torn and ragged, so they had given her a fresh change of clothes. Changing in a different room, Miri discarded her white dress and changed into a white, long-sleeved top with three buttons, along with a long pale pink skirt.

"Please do not trouble yourself with such a thing. You are a friend of Pyramus, so this is the least we could do." Sypha said as she and the others looked at her with a kind smile. Throughout the while, Pyramus told Miri of what happened to him. He didn't know what happened to the rest of their people, but he did remember he and his father running through the forest trying to escape the priests and citizens chasing them. They were cornered near a small cliff and in attempt to save him, his father pushed him to the waters below and had begged him to keep on living while he was dragged away.

With the help of Pyramus's magic, he was able to survive the fall and after some time of travelling alone, the Speakers happened to come across him in the brink of starvation and took him in. Saving his life and granting him a home. Miri smiled and thanked them for saving her dear friend as the door opened to reveal Trevor's return. The young girl smiled brightly as she got up to greet him. "Sir Belmont. Thank God, you are safe." She told him.

"Trevor! Join us." The Elder says with a smile.

"Sure." The man said, before casually informing them, "By the way, you're all going to die."

"What?" The Elder said, shocked by this as well as the others.

"The current bishop of this place is...well, he's...beyond insane." Trevor says as he leans against the wall, pinching the bridge of his nose as he recalls how that meeting went. "Over the top and into new lands of just snake-fuckingly crazy, and convinced that the salvation of Gresit lays in you people, and Miri and Pyramus, being torn to pieces by a mob."

"When?" The Elder sadly asks as he turns his gaze away.

"Before the sun goes down. By his logic, you have to die before the night creatures conduct their next raid." Trevor told him.

"What happens if we remain and survive?" Pyramus asked him.

"Well, then the night creatures will come anyway, and the church will blame you, and it'll start all over again." Trevor replied.

"This feels wrong. To be driven out for a lie that will doom these people, it is not a Speaker thing." The Elder says. As a speaker, it is they must give aid to the people of Gresit, even if those same people are being misled by the Bishop's lies. 

"We had an agreement." Trevor said.

"I don't think it's a Belmont thing, either." The Elder said.

"I don't care. You need to leave, and leave now." Trevor commanded, exasperatedly.

"I don't think we can leave these people, not in their time of need!" Sypha says as she rose to her feet. Trevor may be willing to turn his back on people in need, but she and the Speakers are not. "These people believe you're causing their time of need!" Trevor shouted as he got into Sypha's face. Miri and Pyramus stood up and tried to separate the two from getting into a fight. When the Elder began to speak.

"Only because they are being misled by the Church. Does one run away when someone tells lies about them? What have the Church said about the Belmonts? That you have been corrupted by dealings with the supernatural, that you mock God, that you are a threat to the common good, and that evil follows wherever you go. And what did you do in the face of that?" He asks the Hunter.

With his words, Pyramus and Miri looked at each other with stunned expressions. They were reminded of the event five years ago when their people were attacked. That night was the most nightmare-inducing experience they've ever faced. They swore to never to use their powers on humans, it wouldn't have mattered if they did, they would still be hated...but look at what that's done. Even now, the two gipsies knew that even now, they were still running. Too scared to stand up and face up to those who oppressed them.

"I didn't run away." Trevor says as he narrows his eyes.

"Really. So, what are you running to? Did you have a destination in mind?" The Elder asked.

"Are you calling me a coward?" Trevor questioned.

"No. I am calling you defeated, Trevor Belmont. You fought your battle and you decided you lost." The Elder said.

"We didn't have a choice." Trevor sombrely said as he turned away.

"Perhaps. But we do. We carry with us the accumulated wisdom of this great country. We will use that to fight our battle." Sypha tells him.

"You'll lose." Trevor said.

"We might well lose. But, if nothing else, we might show someone that, although battles are won and lost, there is a larger war at stake." The Elder said. Touching a cord within the young gipsy teens.

"With Dracula's armies?"Trevor questioned.

"No. A war for the soul of our people." The Elder said as the rest of the Speakers rose to their feet. Standing right by their Elder and were ready to fight to protect. Pyramus and Miri were still in stunned silence as they gripped the other's hand. "Because if we truly are the sort of people who will kill one another at the behest of a madman's fantasies, Then perhaps it is right and proper that things from Hell should rise up to wipe us out."

"It's time for those of us who fight that war to stand up and be responsible, Trevor Belmont. You should leave now." Sypha tells the Hunter. Miri's eyes widened as she recalled her father's words.

"Do not fear. The dark may be frightening and unforgiving...but you mustn't the fear of the unknown control you. The darkness cannot hurt you for you are stronger than it. Ease your mind and calm your heart. If you ever find yourself in total darkness then search for the light. For the light you'll find will show you that there is nothing to fear. Be strong and have faith."

Having faith and being strong against the dark. A single tear fell from Miri's eye. All this time...all of the pain and suffering she faced, she wanted it to end. All she asked from the world was to be free...but there was a chance to obtain just that. She just needed to be strong and face the darkness and the creatures it held. She needed to have faith in herself, her powers and in God that she CAN find salvation in this world. She then knew that this wasn't her fate. This wasn't the life she was meant to have. She needed to change it and the only way to do that is to fight back.

Trevor grit his teeth and stared at them with a mixture of anger and frustration, but then he lets out a sigh. He grips his short sword and declares, "No. You're leaving right now."

 

As twilight falls, the Bishop's priests eagerly gather a mob of townspeople together to break into the Speakers' hut while Dracula's demons fly towards the city as snow begins to fall. Two men carrying an axe and hammer went first and began breaking through the door. When the door was weak enough, one of the men tossed his axe aside and kicked it down. When he does, the townspeople and the priests found it to be deserted, except for Trevor and Miri standing in the middle of the room.

"Where are the Speakers?" The priest asked.

"I've put them somewhere safe." Trevor says.

"I swear it just moved." Arn said. Trevor hid them down in the catacombs, nervously eyeing the corpse of the Cyclops, not entirely sure it's dead. "I'm certain we are fine." Pyramus said.

"If you will not hand over the Speakers then...Hand over the whore of the devil who had placed this curse on us." The leader of the Priest demanded, pointing at the young girl beside the Hunter. Trevor glanced at Miri and took her hand in his. Stepping forward to block their view of her. "No." He said, cooly.

"You defend evil. Give it to us!" He ordered while the mob called out for the girl to be given to them.

"Shut up..." Trevor says softly.

"What?" The leader questioned as he walked up to the Hunter.

"Shut up." Trevor said loudly. "You're not getting the Speakers and you aren't laying a hand on Miri. You're getting no blood today, so shut up." Not liking this type of response of his the leader slapped Trevor for his insolence. "You will give us the Speakers so that we can save this city." He said.

"This city's lost. It was lost when you and the rest of your scum moved in." Trevor shot back. Making the priest slap him again with much more force. "And what? You are here to fight us?" The priest said as he pointed out that Trevor is outnumbered, not just by the priests in the hut, but the people outside. Unless... The priest sneers at the former hunter. "You're here to convince the people that nomad black magicians and gipsy heretics are good for Gresit, and it is the presence of men of God that brought the night hordes upon us?"

"You know-."

"Silence! Look at you. You're a wreck. You stink. You can barely keep your eyes open. What do you expect to achieve against us?" The leader of the Priest questioned. Wondering what the motive was for a man like Trevor could hope to gain from raising against them.

That's when Trevor gave a smile. "Absolutely nothing."

 "So you're going to die for nothing? For people, you don't know?" He asks.

"I don't know any of you, but that doesn't matter, does it?" Trevor says as he turns his back on them. Looking up at Miri to give, for the first time, a thankful smile. Thanking her for showing him kindness and being the only one to ever treat him like a human being. And giving him her gratitude for what the Belmont family had done.

"My family, the family you demonized and excommunicated, has fought and died through generations for this country. We do this thing for Wallachia and her people. We don't have to know you all. We do it anyway. And it's not the dying that frightens us. It's never having stood up and fought for you." He says as, also for the first time, Trevor casts off his cloak, revealing the Belmont family crest emblazoned across the back of his tunic. For generations, the Belmonts have fought and died for the people of Wallachia, that they do it because it must be done, and care nothing for the thanks (or the censure) of the people or the Church. A true son of the Belmont family does not fear death, only living without having stood up and fought against the darkness.

 "I am Trevor Belmont of the House of Belmont, and dying has never frightened me." Trevor proudly declares to the Priests.

"Good." The leader says. Unimpressed, the priests all draw their knives. But before any of them can take a step, Trevor throws a flurry of daggers, wounding the priests' hands. While they are stunned by pain, Trevor tackles the leader and he and Miri rushes outside, with the girl yanking a hidden rope that collapses the hut on them, trapping the other priests inside.

As Trevor pinned the leader to the ground, the two are confronted by the mob. Miri took one deep breath before unleashing her magic. In warm, glowing light, Miri created at white and golden bow and an ivory arrow appeared when she aimed to fire. The mob cried out in fear at her and her "witchcraft" but instead of aiming at the people. Miri shot upward and hit the large cross in the town square. Causing it to collapses to the ground below, confusing the crowd long enough for them to run away.

"I sincerely hope that God will forgive me for collapsing his cross." Miri said as she looked at back to holy item.

"I'm sure he'll see pass it when he sees your trying to protect a group of people. Just keep running!" Trevor says as he takes a torch form one of the village men and pushed Miri in front of him when they try to lose the people chasing them through the alleyways. Trevor manages to keep them from getting to them by creating a small barricade of fire. As he ran to go and find Miri, and arrow shoots past him and see more of the Bishop's men firing arrows at him from on top the buildings. To make matters worse, more of them came out to confront him with their daggers and spears, including the knife-man whose eye he tore out earlier.

But Trevor wasn't going to go down without a fight. Trevor grips his sword and the knife-man quickly goes in for the kill. Trevor takes out his sword and battles him with him as the archers fired their arrows. After blocking both arrow and blade, Trevor grabs the knife-man and uses him as a meat shield for the arrows, killing him. After tossing his body aside, two more tried to attack but they were quickly disposed of.

The archers tried to fire at Trevor but then two unknowns arrows were shot over their heads, distracting them long enough for Trevor to grab one of the priests' spear and launch it at them. It hit one of them in the head and, in turn, while screaming in agony, accidentally fired his arrow. Shooting the other archer in the neck. Trevor breathed out a sigh and saw Miri running up to him. "Are you alright?" She asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Come on." He said as he took her hand and began running again, rounding the next corner and halted when they confronted the angry mob. "There they are!" One shouted. Trevor narrows his eyes as he and Miri took off running from them. Meanwhile, Dracula's hordes circle overhead, and as the sun finally sets, swoop down onto the city. Ready to satisfy their thirst for blood.

"Witches!" "Witchcraft!" While the angry mob passes outside Gresit's church, the Bishop is alone at the pulpit. He smiles when the doors open, expecting to be told that the Speakers and the two gipsies are finally dead, but to his confusion, the doors close again. "Who's that? Are the Speakers and the gipsies dead?" He asked.

"No." A deep chilling voice said.

"Well, get back out there, the Speakers and the gipsies have to die before the sun goes down." The Bishops orders, whoever has come in.

"The sun is already down." The voice said. Stepping out from the darkness, was a huge and powerful demon, the of the night horde, Blue Fangs appeared before the Bishop, alongside his demonic goblins. Shaken by the impossible appearance of a demon, the Bishop claims, "You cannot enter the house of God."

"God is not here. This is an empty box." Blue Fangs retorts, taking silent satisfaction by how much the Bishop was shaking.

"God is in all His churches." He said, insistently.

"Your God's love is not unconditional. He does not love us. And He does not love you." Blue Fangs tells him.

The Bishop, feeling his certainty slip away, shakily insists that he has devoted his whole life to doing God's work, and God will not abandon him now. "I have done His bidding. My life's work is in His name."

Blue Fangs retorts, "Your life's work makes Him puke."

"I am the Bishop of Gresit!"

"Your God knows that we wouldn't be here without you. This is all your fault, isn't it?" Blue Fangs questioned.

"She was a witch!" The Bishop shouted.

"Lies? In your house of God? No wonder He has abandoned you." Blue Fangs says. They both knew that the demons would never have invaded Wallachia if the Bishop had not murdered an innocent woman - which is why God does not love him, but the demons do. "But we love you."

"What?!"

"We love you. We couldn't be here without you. Let me kiss you." Blue Fangs says. To prove that he does love him, Blue Fangs takes the Bishop's head in his hands and devours him alive while his minions flew into the city, searching for more victims.

"They went this way!"

Meanwhile, Trevor and Miri are still running from the mob through the streets of Gresit, when they are cornered in the town square, out of breath. "Get him!" "We'll get him right now!" "Kill the gipsies." As the mob closes in, Miri prepares to use her ice to separate them from the mob when a wall of fire erupts around her and Trevor, keeping them back.

Miri looks up and tugged at Trevor's sleeve. He looks as well as sees Sypha and Pyramus conducting the flames from a rooftop, revealing themselves to be powerful magicians. "Witches!" The mangled-handed priest shouted.

"No! I am a Speaker and we are scholars of magic. We serve no demon and we do no evil." Sypha says as she unleashed a small, but strong gust of a blizzard towards the people. With a yell, Pyramus raised the flames higher to keep the people away from the Hunter and young gipsy, creating a safe passageway for them. Miri smiled at the two as she and Trevor walked down the path. "You never told me you were a magician." He said.

"You never asked." Sypha responded.

"Oh, now, what does this remind me of?" Trevor says as he gazed down at the young girl next to him. Miri caught his gaze and blushed slightly. Trevor chuckled at her as he acknowledges the timeliness of her appearance, but asks why she isn't down in the catacombs with the rest of the Speakers. "Though I guess I now understand why it was you who went down into the catacombs to look for your sleeping God. What are you doing here?"

"I didn't ask you to fight for me. I fight for myself." Sypha says, defiantly.

"I wish to fight for those who can't and receive no justice. I will not run away while the innocent suffer needlessly." Pyramus said.

"Fine." Trevor says with a slight smile as he walks down the path only to stop when, amongst the crowd, Trevor notices the last of the Bishop's men - the priest whose finger Trevor cut off earlier. "You." He calls out.

"Kill them! Quickly!" The priest commanded the people. Miri halted them buy aiming her arrows. "No. Just you and me. Come on. You're very big at telling other people what to do. Getting the good people of Gresit to commit murder for you. Let's see how you do on your own. You and me.." Trevor says, challenging him to a fair fight. Sweating, the priest tries to incite the mob to attack, but Sypha's and the gipsies' magic and Trevor's soldierly bearing gives them pause.

"I can see you're carrying a blade. I wonder if the people of the great city of Gresit have ever seen a priest draw a knife before." Trevor said out loud. Causing some talk amongst the townspeople, who are just now noticing the weapon in a 'holy' man's hand. "Oh, what insolence!" "The priest has a knife."

"Your long knife, my short sword. Let's go." Trevor challenges with a smirk on his face. Then he sneers and said, "Come on. You had no problem beating an old man this morning. Huh? You had no problem lying to these people about the Speakers and the gipsies."

"The Speakers brought this upon us!" The priest shouted, trying to sound tough unwavering. But Trevor could see right through him. "No, they didn't, and you know it." He says as Sypha and Pyramus jumped down the building with the woman's wind magic.

"The Speakers stayed here to offer aid. The gipsies were innocent people who wanted to live in peace, but it was your bishop who had ordered their massacre and the death of an innocent girl! It was your bishop who brought all this down on us. Your bishop who started it all by killing a defenceless woman. You would have made murderers out of these people, but the only one here who isn't innocent is you." Trevor says, exposing the lies and corruption they have caused.

If the people had listened to him, they'd have killed the Speakers and the gipsy girl and made murderers out of themselves, without doing a single thing to prevent the demons coming again. Sensing the mood of the crowd shift, the priest tries to run, but the furious townspeople turn on him, relentlessly stabbing him to death with knives and pitchforks for everything he had the rest have done for the hell they brought down.

As Trevor sheaths his sword, a massive explosion erupted and the townspeople screamed in terror and the demons arrive inside the city, devouring, ripping and burning any human they see with Blue Fangs leading the attack.

Knowing he's the only one who knows who to fight these monstrosities, Trevor takes command of the defence. Trevor turns back to the people and orders, "Back to the far side of the square! Pikes! Upfront, now!"

"What? Why?" A man with a pike in hand asked.

"Because I'm the only man here who knows how to fight these things." Trevor says as he grabs the man by the collar and began dragging him. "Everyone with a pike or long weapon, get out in front with me. Six in front, six behind, and in between, pikes forward. Hold steady." Trevor says, speaking like well-trained commander of an army as the men got into formation just as he asks.

"I need a priest, one who was properly ordained in a church," Trevor commanded. Out from the crowd, a real priest, one who isn't one of the Bishop's thugs, walked up with his hand raised. "Grab some people. Go to the nearest well, start drawing water. You know what to do with water, yes? For the aspersion? Go." He orders and the priest and a handful of people ran off.

"Sypha? Pyramus? Miri?"

"Yes."

"I want them walled in when they hit the square. I want it so they can only come towards us. Is that something you can do?" Trevor said.

"Will ice be acceptable?" Miri asked him.

"Better than fire, anyway. Let's hope so. Pyramus, do you know any other magic besides fire?" Trevor asked the young boy.

"Yes, one of my elder sisters taught me. It should prove useful."

"Perfect. I want salt over here! As much as you can find!" Trevor shouts out. The people scattered and came back with four full buckets of salt. He scooped up a handful and wiped his sword blade with it. "Everyone with a sword wipes their blades in the salt. Now!" Trevor orders just as the priest and the others came with buckets of, now, holy water. The handed it to the restored Hunter as he and the others faced off the invasion. After another explosion, the demons hit the square.

"Sypha, Miri, walls." 

Together, Miri and Sypha erects walls of ice from the ground, forcing the demons to attack the pikemen head-on. One the demons reached forward to touch the ice and shrieked when it burned its skin. Trevor tossed the bucket over to the demons and with its holy purification, once splattered, the demons' skin burned even more, scorching through their skin and into their flesh. Letting out shrieks of pain.

"Well. That priest really could make holy water after all."  Trevor says, somewhat impressed. "Pikemen! Four steps forward! Sypha, Miri, close the door behind them." He ordered. As the men marched forth, the two young women manoeuvred the ice and sealed them in while Pyramus sat on the ground in a meditation position.

"Rear pikes up!" Trevor shouts as two demons began to lunge at them. As soon as they were about to pounce on them, Pyramus suddenly opened his eyes, glowing red as his whole body became transparent and flew towards one of the demons, entering its body and causing it to fly back. The second demon was struck by the townspeople's weapons. "Cut him down!" Those with swords charged forward and with quick strikes, managed to kill it.

"Salt kills demons! Don't forget, spread the word." Trevor shouts. Seeing their sword blades cut through the demons, the townspeople finally feel hope, realizing that with Trevor's knowledge they can finally fight back.

Chapter 7: The Sleeping Soldier. Alucard vs Trevor

Chapter Text

Trevor tosses another bucket of holy water and Sypha strikes it with her ice. Sending shards of it raining down at them. Miri readied her bow and launched her arrow, striking one in the arm. For Miri, her magic holds the purity of light so when it made contact, it blew the demons arms clean off. It screeches in pain before it was quickly silenced by one of its very own.

Pinning it down as it crushes it its skull. Bits of bone, blood and brain matter were sent flying before the demon began charging forward. Trevor was about to attack it when it suddenly said, "Lord Belmont. I give this beast to you." Then Pyramus's spirit body flew out of the demon and landed back with the others, becoming physical again. Trevor smirks at the boy as he took out his whip and strikes the demon. With one strike from it, a roaring fire fills the demon's belly before it erupted into a bloody explosion, its upper half being blown to bits.

From seeing that, the three gave a questioning look to the Hunter and he could tell what they wanted to know. "The whip's consecrated for fighting vampires and demons." He explained. "Swords!" The men charge forward, with Trevor spilling more holy water as they cut the rest of the demons down, except for Blue Fangs, who leaps over the heads of the pikemen and lunges straight at Trevor. He jumped down causing the small team to separate. He slashes and Trevor's arm before moving back to avoid Sypha's attack.

Trevor takes his whip and strikes Blue Fang, taking out his fanged teeth. It snarls viciously at the Hunter and charges towards him. Miri jumps in front of her friend and conjures spikes of ice, trapping the demon. "There's an army of us! An army from hell!" He screeches before Trevor's whip bisects its head, causing it to explode. Fortunately, Sypha and Miri created a wall of ice to shield them from the blast. As they breathed out a sigh, Pyramus comes running towards them. "Is everyone alright?" He asked.

Before they could answer, the ground suddenly gives way beneath Trevor, Miri and Sypha, sending them falling through the streets of Gresit. Trevor used his whip to grab the two woman, bringing them close as Sypha uses her wind magic to provide a safe landing for them. Though the impact caused them to tumble through another portion of the catacombs.

As they got up, they realised they were dumped into an even deeper chamber of the catacombs than before. Not only that, but Miri felt something. It was faint, but she told the others she sensed life somewhere here. As they walked, they jumped back when they discovered that the place they were in, held a series of mechanical traps. They ran out to get out of the room and ended up falling down a steep path and they found themselves in a room filled with giant gears and metal beams. Seeing that the floor was crumbling beneath their feet, the group had no choice but to jump up the gears to safety.

They carefully walked along the beam that connected the gears and they saw one of the metal beams and figured they could move on from there. Trevor took out his whip and threw it the beam. Once it was securely wrapped, Sypha and Miri took turns in making across. When they arrived on the beam safely, Trevor wrapped the other end of his whip and swung across. Before he could try and climb up, the whole structure began to break apart around them. "Hold on!" Trevor shouted as they structure they were in collided against the ground, forcing them to let go and fall through the hole.

They fell a few feet before they landed on the piles of rubble. Miri slowly stood up coughing, when the dust cleared the trio had stumbled upon a big room with a big red carpet leading to a coffin with lots of machinery around it. Miri let out a gasp as she pointed towards the coffin and says, "In there. The life I sense is in there." Trevor stared at the coffin with a perplexed expression and made sure the young girl was close at his side. As the three of them advanced towards it, Trevor stepped on something, a hidden switch. "I didn't do that." Trevor remarked. Then steam blew through around the coffin as it slowly begins to open.

As the coffin slowly opened, their eyes widened when they saw what steadily floated out. A man with long blond hair floated out of the coffin. He wore black pants and black boots. He was shirtless which showed off, not only his well-toned body but also the large scar on his chest. Trevor, Sypha and Miri stared at the mysterious man with wide eyes. Especially the young gipsy girl. The aura she sensed from him was unlike anything she had ever felt before. More specifically, she had never seen anyone like him before... He was so beautiful.

Once he was fully out of the coffin, the mysterious man asked, "Why are you here?" His voice was deep and gruff. It send shivers down Miri's body. "The story the Messiah sleeps under Gresit! The man who will save us from Dracula." Sypha said with a glint of hope in her eyes.

"That's him?" Miri asked with astonishment. She gave a smile as she stared at the man with hope. Those stories they were told throughout the day were true. This man is their hope for salvation. "This is wonderful." The young girl says as she clasped her hands. The man's golden eyes fell upon the gipsy girl and she blushed red and quickly looked away. He looked over at Trevor and questioned, "And you? Are you in search of a mythical saviour?"

"I fell down a hole." He answered.

Sypha rolled her eyes at Trevor then said to the mysterious man, "Dracula is abroad in the land. He has an army of monsters. He's determined to wipe out all human life wherever he finds it." Miri timidly took a step forward and pleaded with him. "Won't you please aid us? We need a saviour to help bring salvation and bring light into this world." She said.

"Is that what you believe?" The man queried.

 "That Dracula's released his horde in Wallachia? That's fact. There's no "belief" involved. But that's not what you're asking." Trevor said. Miri blinked in confusion, staring at him.

"No." The man responded.

"You're asking if I believe you're some sleeping messiah who'll save us, and no, I don't." Trevor said.

"Belmont!" Sypha shouted.

"Sir Belmont, please. Cease this aggravating tone of speech. He's isn't an enemy." Miri told him, practically begging him not to cause a fight unnecessarily.

"I know what you are." Trevor said, narrowing his eyes.

"And what am I?" The man asked him with a small smile.

"You're a Vampire." Trevor said. The man smirked, lifting his head and showing his sharp fangs. Sypha let out gasped when she saw them. Miri's eyes widened in shock and she stumbled back. "He's a creature of the night?" Miri murmured with surprise as she stared back at the man. She clenched her pendent and stood her ground. He may be a Vampire, but what she sensed in his heart told her to not to fear him.

"So, I have to ask myself, have we come down here to wake up the man who'll kill Dracula, or did we come here to wake Dracula?" Trevor questioned.

"You call me Dracula." The Vampire said as he began to levitate down the steps towards them.

"I'll call you anything you like if you're gonna show me your teeth." Trevor remarked.

"She called you Belmont. House of Belmont?" The Vampire asked as he raised an eyebrow.

"Trevor Belmont. Last son of the house of Belmont." The Hunter tells him.

"The Belmonts fought creatures of the night, did they not? For generations." The Vampire said.

"Say what you mean," Trevor says as he starts to approach the golden-eyed Vampire.

"The Belmonts killed vampires." He said.

"Until the good people decided they didn't want us around." Trevor said with venom dripping from his voice.

"And now Dracula is carrying out an execution order on the human race." The Vampire says as he watches the Hunter walk around him, keeping his sights locked on him. "Do you care, Belmont?" 

"Honestly, I didn't, no." Trevor said, shrugging his shoulders. "But now... Yes, it's time to stop." Making Sypha and Miri to smile at him. He can be a hero when he wants to be.

"Do you think you can?" The Vampire asked with a calm voice.

"What I think... Is I am going to have to kill you." Trevor simply replied, gripping his whip.

"Belmont, no!" Sypha shouted. "He's the one we've been waiting for."

"Please reconsider what you're doing, Sir Belmont." Miri told him. "Madam Belnades is correct-."

"No, he's not. He's a vampire." Trevor snarled at them. "And he's not been waiting here for hundreds of years, have you?" Trevor asked, glaring at the Vampire. "I don't like your tone, Belmont." The Vampire said, still with a calm and controlled manner.

"This place is old, but it's not been abandoned. It's alive and working. So, go on, Vampire, tell her exactly how long you've been waiting down here." Trevor said.

The Vampire turned to Sypha and Miri and asked, "What is the year of your Lord?"

"1476." Sypha said.

"Perhaps a year, then." He said.

"There. And on top of that, what kind of "messiah" creates mechanical death traps to buy himself an uninterrupted nap... In a stone coffin?" Trevor queried.

"My defences were not for you." The Vampire told him.

"You could have told your defences that." Trevor shot back.

"They are machines, nothing more. They were not intended to protect me from you." The Vampire replied. "I asked you a question, do you care?"

"I care about doing my family's work. I care about saving human lives. Am I going to have to kill you?" Trevor asked as he narrowed his eyes dangerously.

"Do you think you can?" The Vampire asked once more. His voice was louder this time. Miri's grew nervous. Was he getting angry? "If you're really a Belmont and not some runt running around with a family crest, you might be able to." Miri watched as the blond-haired Vampire's finger twitched and a long sword was dragged out of its sheath out from the coffin, it came flying towards him and he grabbed it. "Let's find out." The Vampire said.

"Belmont, you can't do this!" Sypha cried out.

"Please, stop this! This is meaningless!" Miri said.

"Tell it to your floating vampire, Jesus, here." Trevor said as he grips his whip.

"You've got nothing but insults, have you?" The Vampire spoke as he hovered slightly towards Trevor. " A tired little -." The man was cut off by Trevor's whip struck him in the stomach the Vampire went flying but he landed swiftly on the ground. Blood dripped from the Vampire's stomach and he hissed with vexation, showing his Vampire teeth once again. "Stone the fuck up." Trevor said. He gathered his whip and tugged at it tightly, let it go and started whipping the Vampire as it did its best to dodge the quick-moving whip and occasionally hitting it away with his long sword.

"Sir Belmont! Stop it! I beg of you!" Miri yelled but Trevor ignored her. They needed to stop this! This whole thing was pointless! Why is this even happening?! "Sir Belmont, stop this nonsense!"

"You can't do this, Belmont!" Sypha shouted at him.

"He's not your messiah. Dracula's castle can appear anywhere, Sypha. And I told you, this is what he looks like on the inside." Trevor said, still cracking his whip at the Vampire.

"And you know what Dracula looks like?" The Vampire asked him.

"Nobody knows what Dracula looks like." Trevor said as he swung his whip and the Vampire blocked the blow with his sword. "You've got fangs, and you sleep in a coffin." Trevor's whip shot forward, barely missing the Vampire's face as he dodged it doing a flip in the air and landing on his feet firmly, as soon as the Vampire landed, Trevor took out one of his daggers threw it at the man.

The Vampire hissed at him as he jumped up in the air to avoid it, but that was exactly what Trevor wanted him to do. When he jumped, that was when the hunter made his move. Trevor cracked his whip up in the air then placed his thumb on the whip making it quickly change its direction and hit the Vampire in his left side. The Vampire was sent flying, his back slammed against a pillar, breaking a few pieces of it as he plummeted to the ground. He slowly started standing up when Trevor came forward and swung his whip at him.

The Vampire was now on his knees using his sword for support, there was a gash near his ribs, then the whip came flying towards him he held out his sword in front of him and the whip wrapped around it, he pulled the whip with all his strength as Trevor tried to pull his whip back, the Vampire pulled the whip even harder and flung Trevor towards him, Trevor let go of the whip and grabbed his sword which was resting on his hip instead.

The Vampire threw the whip to the ground and as Trevor came closer to the Vampire he held his sword out in front of him getting ready for Trevor's sword to clash against his, he placed one arm behind his back preparing himself as this was his style of fighting. Trevor's sword slammed against his and as the two men were battling, the Vampire made sure that there were no gaps for Trevor to strike him, he used every single part of his sword to assure that wouldn't happen.

All of a sudden the Vampire disappeared, Trevor's eyes widen as he wasn't expecting the Vampire to do such a thing, then the Vampire reappeared behind him, Trevor knew this and as soon as the Vampire tried to do anything, Travor's blade crashed against his. Trevor used his sword to push the man's sword away from his, Trevor dodged the sword from slicing his neck and backed away as they continued to fight.

Trevor dodged many blows as the Vampire tried to jab the sword into his neck and face, their swords smashed against each other as they both tried to push the other's sword away they glared at each other, then Trevor used his knee to hit the Vampire's groin. But it did absolutely nothing. "Please. This isn't a bar fight. Have some class." The Vampire said, receiving a headbutt from the Hunter.

The Vampire used his hand to send Trevor flying into the air and land on the ground on his back groaning. As soon as Trevor stood up the man attacked, their swords hit against each other making little sparks fly. Trevor pulled away and swung his sword one last time but the blade broke and flung itself into the air. Trevor slowly looked at his broken sword then at the Vampire and saw that his sword had somehow sliced its chest, blood dripped from the cut and the Vampire narrowed his eyes at Trevor and punched him square in the face.

Trevor went flying through the air and his back hit the wall, he fell to the ground coughing. The Vampire dropped his sword onto the ground and made his way towards Trevor, he got on top of him and grabbed him by the hair pulling his head back revealing his neck and let out another Vampiric hiss. "Do you have a god to put a last prayer to, Belmont?" The blond Vampire asked.

Trevor grunted as he says, "Yeah. Dear God, please don't let the vampire's guts ruin my good tunic."

"What?" The man questioned as he suddenly felt a pain in his chest, he groaned in agony, blood dripped from the throwing knife that Trevor held to stab the Vampire with. "I can still rip your throat out." The Vampire said as he leaned in.

Trevor smirked. "You can, but it won't stop me staking you." He replied.

"But you will still die." The Vampire said.

"But I don't care." Trevor said as he let out a soft laugh. "Killing you was the point. Living through it was just a luxury." The Vampire chuckled at this. The two girls rushed up behind the Vampire, Sypha summoned fire and held it near the Vampire, while Miri knelt and wrap her arms around the Vampire. "I will incinerate you before your fangs touch that man's throat." Sypha said

"I thought I was your legendary saviour." The Vampire said.

"So did I. But he saved my life." Sypha said. The Vampire's eyes went to the young girl holding him. He was surprised. He didn't expect this one to be so young. Still, the Vampire asked her, "And what of you? You believed I was your legendary saviour. Why would you be so reckless and hold something that could easily snap your arms?"

Miri let out a sigh as she tightens her hold on him. "If I were to be honest, I wasn't sure whether to believe it or not, I just needed to know who and what exactly you were. I do not like violence, but Sir Belmont is my friend. So...if you're going to try to kill him, then you leave me no choice but to fight back." She said. That's when the Vampire heard ice crackling and looked down to see her holding an ice-shaped dagger near his heart. He smiled, he wasn't expecting this either. He was impressed.

"You're a Speaker-Magician." the Vampire said, looking back at Sypha.

"Yes, and his goal is mine to stand up for the people." She said.

"And you," The Vampire said, looking at Miri. "You are a youngling. A simple child in a cruel world. You have magic, but how will proceed?"

"I had been travelling alone in the darkness for five years. I had lost everything in one night. I feared the dark and had forgotten about faith." Miri told him. "But after meeting Sir Belmont, the Speakers, Madam Belnades and an old friend I previously thought I lost, I was finally able to find the strength I needed to fight against my fate. I may be a youngling, but I will use all of the power I have to protect and save others."

The Vampire closed his eyes and turned to Trevor and reopened his eyes. "Good. Very good." He smiled. "A Vampire hunter, a magician and a gipsy girl..." He trailed off, he pulled away as his wounds began to heal. "You'll do." He touched Miri's hands, making her flinch at the touch, and she looked up at him.

He granted her a small smile and she blinks in realisation and lets go of him. Sinking to the floor. As the Vampire stood up and he bent down to offer the young girl his hand. Miri blushed as she shyly took his hand and he helped her to stand. "I am Adrian Tepes." The Vampire said, introducing himself as Trevor slowly stands up. "Known to the Wallachians as Alucard, son of Vlad Dracula Tepes. I've been asleep here in my private keep under Gresit for a year, to heal the wounds dealt by my father, when I attempted to stop him unleashing his demon armies." Alucard said, placing a hand the scar on his chest.

"You are the Sleeping Soldier." Sypha said.

"I'm aware of the stories." He replied. "I'm also aware that the Speakers consider the story to be information from the future. Do you know the whole story?"

"Yes." Sypha said with a blush.

"And you?" Alucard questioned Miri. The young silver-lavender eyed girl shyly nodded. "Yes, I have. Madam Belnades and the other Speakers had informed me about it."

"The sleeping soldier will be met by a hunter and a scholar." He explained.

"No one told me that." Trevor muttered, sending a small glare at the gipsy.

"Why do you think my grandfather tried everything to make you stay?" Sypha asked Trevor.

"I hate Speakers." Trevor grumbles.

"I wanted to tell you, but I wasn't sure if you would believe me and simply call it rubbish." Miri told him given an apology expression.

"But it didn't mention a gipsy girl?" Alucard asked, grabbing his clothes from the coffin and getting dressed. He wore a white v-necked shirt, a black coloured jacket consisting of golden side seams held together by four square brooches that ran down vertically, and a pair of black gloves. Miri blink in realisation as he was right. The legend didn't say anything about a gipsy having a role in this transgression. But...

"I... I may not be a part of the legend. I still wish to help stop Dracula and save the lives that continues to flourish in Wallachia. So, please, if I may, let me be a part of this journey." She said.

"You are still very young. How much power do you think you have? How can you be so sure, that you wouldn't be killed?" Alucard asked her. He didn't mean to sound cold, he was simply curious about her. A young girl who, he can tell just by looking at her face, has experienced numerous hardships. He wanted to know if she was indeed determined to fight against Dracula's army.

Miri shook her head as she clasped her hands in prayer. "I am not. I don't know how I will fare in this battle. But I still want to help fight. The people of this country have caused me pain and suffering just because I was different from them. For just being alive. But...just because they have done horrible things to me, it doesn't mean they deserved the same. They were only scared and it was natural for them to react. I want to do things right from now on, protect them and not run away from the darkness."

Alucard stared at her and nodded his head. Accepting her answer.

"So, what happens now?" Sypha asked.

"I need a hunter and a scholar." Alucard responded. "I need a hunter and a scholar. I need help to save Wallachia perhaps the world and defeat my father." Alucard's sword went back into its sheath which was now on his hip.

"Why?" Trevor asked Dracula's son.

"Because it is what my mother would have wanted." Alucard replied as Trevor picked his whip back up. "And we are all, in the end, slaves to our families' wishes."

"You'll help us kill Dracula and save Wallachia?" Trevor questioned, looking at Alucard.

"My father has to die." Alucard said. "We three-." He paused, looking over at the younger girl. Miri blinked in confusion but smiled as he said, "We four...we can destroy him." Miri ran up to them as they leave the catacombs to confront Dracula as a team.

Chapter 8: The War Council

Chapter Text

Lupu, 1475

Thunder rumbles from the sky as the rain falls upon the city of Lupu. Lighting struck the top of the Church. Many villagers ran for cover or to get inside their homes quickly, to shield themselves from the downpour. Amongst the village, resides a woman who currently resides alone in her cottage. She was a tall woman with a slim figure. She had wavy blonde hair, crystal blue eyes, and rose-red lips. She was a beautiful woman and wore a simple, but elegant gown. As of right now, she was tending to one of her regular patients.

"You stay right there, Mrs. Djuvara. I'm just going to get something for your cough." She said as she walked over to the old woman, handing a warm cup to drink as she let out a sickly cough. The elderly woman smiled kindly at her. "Thank you, Dr. Tepes." She says, groaning as she held her chest. "It bubbles when I breathe. Did I say that?" She asked. Lisa Tepes reached out and gently held the old woman's hand, offering her support and compassion.

"Yes, you did. Don't move. I'll be right back with some medicine." Lisa told her.

"More leaves, I expect. Mr. Djuvara always gives me leaves. Leaves and acorns. Probably turning into a squirrel." Mrs. Djuvara said, making Lisa laugh at bit. Even if she doesn't come in for medicine, Lisa loved having Mrs. Djuvara to stop by for a visit and a chat. The old woman sniffles as she glanced down at Lisa's hand, spotting the ring on her finger. "I didn't know you were married." She said.

Lisa pulled her hand back and subtly folded her arms, hiding her ring from the old woman. "My husband is travelling abroad. He'll be home before winter's done." She says as she stood up from her seat. "I'll be right back."  Lisa walked to the other side of her cottage and into her workshop. A room filled with different kinds of medicines and tools for her to utilise to better the lives of her fellow villagers. And it was because of her beloved husband that she was able to make it this far. It was because of the knowledge he gave her for her dream to save lives.

Lisa soaked her hands in a clear water of water with a special powder before going to a book that held the information she needed and showed depictions of the human lungs. She read through and understood what she needed to cure her patient. While she read the book, she spotted her locket. With a loving smile, Lisa picked it up and opened it, containing the picture of her husband.

"I hate that you're not here every day. But I love that you gave me the knowledge to help people." Lisa says softly to herself. She held the locket close to her before setting it down and closing her book. She rolled up her sleeves and got to work in creating Mrs. Djuvara's medicine.

When she was done, she placed it in a small bottle and went back to the old woman. Placing the bottle on the table. When Mrs. Djuvara looked at the bottle, she let out a gasp. "Is that leaves? If I have to chew more cud, I'm going to start making milk, Dr. Tepes." She said.

"No, no. It's a powder mixed with some strawberry wine." Lisa reassured her.

"A powder? You sound like the old, wise woman we used to have. The powder turned out to be her dried foot skin." Mrs. Djuvara informed her.

"My God. I'm amazed any of you are still alive. No, this powder is a medicine that grows as mould." Lisa said.

"You're giving me mould? I think I want the leaves." Mrs. Djuvara said, not entirely convinced that something as vile as mould could be beneficial as medicine. But Lisa gave her a kind smile as she said, "Trust me. Just take two sips three times a day until the bottle's empty."

"That's all?"

"Come and see me next week if you like. But your chest should be clear by Friday." Lisa told her.

Mrs. Djuvara gave her doctor a warm and grateful smile as she took the bottle in her hand. During the time she has been coming to her, not once has Lisa gave her a reason to distrust her. If she said that this powder will clear her chest, well, then who was she to say otherwise? "Oh. I don't know how we coped before you came here, Doctor. Magic powders. My Lord." She says as Lisa began walking her to the door.

"It's not magic. It's nothing but things we used to know, that we forgot or lost over the years. No foot skin required." Lisa said. The two shared a laugh as Lisa went to open the door for her. Up until this point, Lisa believed that she would see the world, or at very least her villagers expand and evolve to be better. That they would able to raise from being simple peasants into something greater. She believed that she would be able to heal so many people for years to come. Unfortunately, this time with Mrs. Djuvara would be the last she'll ever come to know. Because outside her home awaited someone who he believed that she was evil.

As thunder and lightning clash from beneath the clouds, Lisa opened the door to find a certain Bishop and his four priests standing outside her home. All of them, except for one who held an unnerving smile, had disapproving looks and looked at the doctor with disdain in their eyes. "Mrs. Lisa Tepes?" The Bishop asked.

"Yes?" Lisa said before turning to her patient. "You go on home now." She told her softly. The old woman nodded and left the cottage, keeping her head low so as not to meet the Bishop or the priests' gaze. She was aware of the methods the Church has recently adopted, and while she doesn't completely agree with them, there was little an old woman like her can do about it. While she left, she prayed that nothing would happen to the kind-hearted doctor and no harm would befall her.

Now without any outside interference and the Bishop looked up at Lisa and said, "I am an emissary of the Archbishop of Targoviste. Do I understand correctly that you serve as a physic to this community?"

"I'm a doctor, yes. Uh, can I help you? Is the Archbishop ill?" Lisa asked the men kindly. If their Archbishop was sick then she'll help in any way she can. She was sure she'll have what they need to cure him. However, instead of answering her question, or providing any answers at all as to why they were here, the Bishop told his men, "You know what to look for." The four priests rushed towards inside the house, shoving Lisa to the side as they began to raid her home. Looking through cabinets, drawers, anywhere they could get their hands on. Destroying her belonging as they began searching. But searching for what exactly?

"What? What do you need? Tell me.  I'll gladly give it to you." Lisa told them.

"Silence." The Bishop orders her as he enters the house as well, doing nothing to stop his men from trashing her home. Lisa turns to the Bishop with a brave face and she tells him, "I will not be silent. Just let me help."

"With Satan's tools? Hmm? I don't think so." The Bishop says.

"Excuse me?" Lisa asked, appalled by what the Bishop just said. Before she could open her mouth to defend herself and question the Bishops reasoning, one of the priests rounded the corner and called out for him. "Here, your Eminence."

The rest of the priests and the Bishop followed him to Lisa's workshop with the woman running close behind to stop them. She knew why they were here. Which made her all the more anxious to stop them and reason to them that this was all a huge misunderstanding. When they entered the workshop, the Bishop scoffs as he looks at the many devices around him. "Satan's tools." He says as he turned to orders his men. "Make fire. Clean it out."

"What?" Lisa shouted as the priests began to destroy Lisa's medicine and tools and clean out all of her books and scrolls. "We were told that something was wrong here. It seems she was telling the truth." The Bishop said as he turns to face the good doctor. "What are you doing here that you need to subject the good people of this land to such fearsome engines?"

"I don't understand." Lisa said.

"Look around you. Do you pretend that these things are not witchcraft and alchemy?" The Bishop questioned her. Then one of his men went over to one of her machines that held several vials of red liquid. As he goes to grab it, his hand activated a switch which caused the vials to rise and spin around. Instead of looking at the switch he had mostly obviously triggered, the priest let out a frightful gasp as he fell back, away from the machine. "It moves on its own." He said, pointing the satanic creation.

"What is this?" The Bishop demanded of her.

"It's medicine." Lisa told him, honestly.

"How could engines of the Devil be physic, woman?" The Bishop asked her, his voice becoming more threatening as he took a step towards her.

Lisa grabbed one of her books and opened it to a page to show the Bishop that this was just simple science and doesn't offend God or any of their beliefs. "It's old knowledge, that's all. Sciences from older times, lost to history. I have, I mean, I've studied times past and learned ways to serve our people more effectively, that's all." She told him.

The Bishop took the book and merely took a glance at before scoffing at it, clicking his tongue in disgust by it and by this woman's claims. "Paganism." He says as he tosses the book aside.

"No. It's just science. It has nothing to do with any god or-." Lisa said, trying to explain to the Bishop when he suddenly looked at her with a controlled angry expression and took her words in the wrong, twisted way. "Nothing to do with God?" He questioned.

"No, that's not what I meant." Lisa quickly says as two of the priests walked up behind her and grabbed her, restraining her. The Bishop narrowed his eyes at the kind doctor and ordered, "Take her to the cathedral at Targoviste. There shall be an Inquisition. After she's interned, you may take some alms to she who was the wise woman of this village. Tell her that her good deed will, um carry her into heaven. Destroy everything in this room. Let no trace of her magic remain."

"Please. Please, you don't know what you're doing." Lisa begged him, fear was evident in her eyes and in her voice. This was getting worse. He needs to stop this. If ends as she thinks it will, it will only end in destruction and death.

"I know exactly what I'm doing. I am saving Wallachia from witches." The Bishop says.

"No. Listen. Please, you don't know what you're going to bring upon yourself if you harm me." Lisa said. Her husband wasn't born like a normal man. He may have been happy and placid for as long as she's known him, but Lisa knew exactly how he can be if something EVER happened to her. "You threatened me?" The Bishop darkly questioned her.

It wasn't a threat. It was a warning.

"Listen! Just let me go. I'll leave. You'll never see me again. I can't promise your safety if you harm me." She was trying to warn them. She was trying to spare them from her husband's wrath. She'll gladly leave Lupu and go somewhere far away from them if it meant she can save them. She knows this for a fact. Her husband, the man she loved, if he gets enraged...he becomes worse than the devil himself.

"You dare menace me with Satan? Get her out of here before I strike her dead." The Bishop orders, ignoring her protests as she is dragged from the house.

"Not Satan. If you anger him, he's worse. Because he's real. Please! He's come so far! Don't make him do it! No, don't make him kill you all! Please!" She cried out in both fear and out of concern for their sakes. But all of her cries and warning fell on deaf ears as the priests destroyed her workshop and set her cottage ablaze. Lisa could stare up in horror as she watched the Bishop stand in her doorway while the flames rose behind him. Granting him a terrifying image.

Dracula's Castle, 1476

Back in the present, Count Vlad sits in a chair in his study, staring sadly into the fire - doubtless thinking of the flames that consumed his wife and their home and destroyed his one chance at happiness. He lets out a sigh and leaves his study, heading towards the main hall where his armies and generals are waiting for him. While the majority of his army and generals are Vampires, surprisingly enough, a couple of humans also reside within the castle walls.

Two walked through the army and stand off to the side, ignoring the disgusted glares they were receiving from the Vampires. Emerging into the main hall, Vlad addresses the vampires of his inner court. "My generals. We prosecute a good war. In killing my wife, humanity has proven to me that they don't deserve Wallachia. Wallachia will now become our seat. We will scour them off the land. We will continue to use the night hordes. All the creatures of terror that humanity once drove away. Afterwards, I think I will give Wallachia to them. Perhaps that will be better." He says. He then turns to Hector and Isaac, his two Devil Forgemasters - the only humans in his court - to draw up the plans for their next attack. 

"Hector, Isaac, present me with plans for our next steps today." He tells them. The assembled Vampires are shocked and outraged that he would entrust the next phase of their attacks on Wallachia to a couple of measly humans. But only one Vampire, Godbrand, was brave, or foolish, enough to ask why. "The only two humans in your inner court, and they are the ones who will plan our next attack?" He questioned.

Godbrand was a muscular, and a bit of a big-mouthed, Vampire with red hair and pointy ears, a trait of his vampiric form. Although he wears some type of armour with gold trims, his upper chest and one of his shoulders are partially exposed.

"The only two generals in my court who are not driven by thirst. The only two who are bound by loyalty and intellect. True. They are not vampires like you and I, Godbrand. And that is why I trust them." Vlad tells him. "For we are about the business of wiping humanity from the Earth. And they still stand with me." Now that he had needlessly explained to him, Vlad has made his point and walked away.

The other Vampires remained silent as they mulled over what their king had said, but Godbrand and his big-mouthed and brash personality still has some words he wants to say. "What the hell was that? He summons us from all over the world, tells us it's war. We're finally putting the screws to the livestock and taking over. And now this? Turning the whole thing over to a couple of humans? What is this shit?" He begins to rant as Hector and Isaac began walking past them and heading off. "Hey! Where are you two going?"

"We're going to talk to him." Hector tells him. Hector was a tall man with pale silver-grey hair cut into a bob, pale blue-green eyes and light bronze skin and wore a Devil Forgemaster outfit. Which consists of black mantle armour and boots with gold trim, a blue cloth shirt with silver buttons, a red sash tied around his waist that falls to nearly to the ground on his left side, black leather pants and a black armed glove on his left and single white glove on his right.

"Why would he want to talk to you rather than me? Perhaps he wants to meet with his own kind." Godbrand says as he crosses his arms, speaking rather condescendingly towards the two humans.

"Godbrand, you've never met anything you didn't immediately kill, fuck, or make a boat out of." Hector says as he walks away from him. He was sure that he made it clear that they are meeting with him because Dracula needs someone to talk to and make plans with; when he needs something killed, fucked, or made into a boat, doubtless he'll call for Godbrand.

"I don't understand why our lord doesn't tie you up outside with the rest of the animals." Isaac says. He was a tall, bald man with dark-coloured skin, with two scars on his face. He wears a Devil Forgemaster uniform, the same outfit as Hector. Black mantle armour with gold trim, a black robe with a red cloth wrapped around his waist, black boots, and black armed gloves.

"Bigot! I like boats. I'm a fucking Viking. We're supposed to make boats out of things." Godbrand shouts at them.

The Forgemasters approach Dracula in his study, where he is back staring into the fire.

"Master," Hector called out softly.

"Hector, Isaac, you may approach." Dracula says as he turns to them.

The two men bowed at the waist and approached their master. "We are honoured by your faith in us. But to serve you correctly, we have to ask." Isaac began. "Why us?" Hector finished. Although they reaffirm their loyalty, Hector and Isaac privately admit that they are as surprised by Dracula's choice as the others, and would like to know his reasons.

"Hmm. Did you hear Godbrand down there? "Livestock," he said. So many of my kindred are the same." Dracula says as he takes his seat by the fire. "They can no longer conceive of humans as thinking beings. Just livestock. It's the privilege of our condition, I suppose. You can't hate livestock. They are simply what they are. Grazing animals to be slaughtered." Dracula's explanation is equally simple, albeit different from what he told Godbrand: to the other vampires, humans are nothing more than "livestock", and it is as impossible for most vampires to hate humans as for humans to hate cattle.

"But you two are different. You are human." Dracula says as his Forgemasters walked towards him, standing at his side. "You are not looking at the scouring of humanity from the earth as an opportunity to get the livestock under control and to fill stables, and abattoirs, and pantries. You hate your species. You hate humans. You have a focus and clarity that the others lack. You understand that humans think, and scheme, and betray. You understand why they all must die." Unlike how Vampires can view humans as simple livestock to be controlled and feasted upon, the Forgemasters know full well what kind of cruelty and deception humans are capable of, and so only they are capable of the hatred that Dracula needs to inform his army's decisions.

"Yes. This is the work we were born for. Thank you." Isaac says to his master.

"Yes. Thank you for clarifying, Master. We will try to direct the war accordingly. I only hope your generals will listen to us." Hector tells him.

"They will have no choice. They obey me. You are my chosen authors of the war. And so they will obey you." Dracula said. "The matter is closed."

"Of course," Hector says as he turns his attention to the fire. Staring intently at the flames as he recalls his difficult childhood. He was despised by both his mother and father, a selfish alchemist. They who had abused him mercilessly and mocked him for his failure to understand how the "real world" works. He can recall their cruel and hateful words towards him.

"I never wanted you, Hector. You sicken me. Do you understand? The moment you came out of me, I knew you were wrong." His mother words were always drenched in venom.

"Alchemy is for money and power, boy. Money and power and buying our safety are all that matters. Stop whining about cruelty. This is the world. This is the way things are. Now get away from me." His father had said once. The only things his father was interested in was wealth, honour, control, and protection by those in power and barely noticed that Hector existed.

He couldn't take it anymore. He couldn't take their abuse anymore. They refused to accept him and gave him nothing but pain and suffering. So, he decided to teach them a lesson.

"Hector? Hector, unlock this door at once! Are you burning something out there?" His mother shouted. Hector's recollection takes him to their last words, which became screams as he locked them inside their home and burned it to the ground. Breaking out of his reverie, he says, "I understand completely."

"It's going to be all right."  Isaac says as he placed a gentle hand on Dracula's shoulder. "We're going to kill them all for you. They will suffer."

"The suffering doesn't really matter to me anymore, Isaac. Only the death. Only the death matters now." Dracula says. He doesn't care whether the humans suffer or not. He doesn't care if they get tortured for days and days on end. He doesn't care...just long as they all die.

Back at Gresit

The sun rises on the aftermath of the city's battle with Dracula's night hordes. The townspeople had gained an odd but welcoming feeling. For countless nights, the demons have devoured and murdered their family and friends, but thanks to Trevor's leadership and his knowledge of combat, they were able to fight back and regain hope again. That alone was enough to bring most of them to tears. The townspeople tending to their wounded, burying their dead, rebuilding the walls, and weeping over lost loved ones. The bodies of the slain demons are chopped into pieces and thrown into the city sewer.

Walking through the streets, in broad daylight and without hiding their faces, the two gipsies were dealt with mixed feelings. One the one hand, it was a breath of fresh air that the townspeople were giving small waves here and there and offering them their thanks. One the other, it felt very surreal. For as long as they could remember they were treated worse than criminals and less like animals. So for them to NOT be berated, having stones tossed at them or being chased by an angry mob with weapons....it was a sensibility that they had to take several moments to digest.

While on their walk, Miri told Pyramus what happened when she and the others after they fell and about the 'Sleeping Soldier' they encounter. She also told him how the hands of fate created a new path for her, much to the boy's surprise. He was initially proud of his dearest friend and offered his congrats, but he also felt a wave of disappointment.

"Are you sure you wish to continue travelling with Lord Belmont and the others? We have found each other after being forcibly torn apart." Pyramus said. "You can come with me and the Speakers, we can travel together again and offer aid to many passersby."

Miri gave him a small smile as she shook her head. "I know. I would love nothing more than to travel alongside you again like we used to before, Pyramus. However, my fate has been changed. I cannot turn away from it, it'll be the same as turning away from the darkness instead of confronting it. I must aide Sir Belmont, Madam Belnades, and Sir...err, heh." Miri laughed slightly. "I'm not sure what to refer him by. He has many names, I don't know which to pick. But regardless, I wish to help them in battle and make sure Dracula is stopped for the sake of humanity."

When she saw Pyramus's face fell, Miri placed her hand on his shoulder and lifted his head to look at her. "My dearest brother, I do not wish to say farewell either, but your role is with the Speakers now and role is mine. Please understand Pyramus." She told him gently. Pyramus stared his friend with sad eyes and let out a sigh. "I do understand. But...I still do not wish to say farewell and leave you. Because...I...I thought about...you and I..." He said, trailing off. Not wanting to finish that sentence.

But Miri knew what he meant. She had been aware that Pyramus held feelings for her, but not wanting to waver their friendship, he smiled and became content in loving her as his sister. Though after the attack, he is reminded of those feelings. Miri could not lie and say she hadn't felt it once but she couldn't love any more than a brother. Her heart wasn't calling for him.

"I understand. But my fate does not reside in travelling throughout Wallachia with you, it resides with the friends I have made and the promise I gave to save the world from destruction and despair." Miri told him. She then smiled and said, "We will not say farewell forever. I have faith that you and I will meet again in the future. And it because I have met you again, I also have faith that more of our people are alive out there, waiting to be found. Isn't that also a reason why you became a Speaker?"

Pyramus was stunned by her. As children, Miri had always been a softspoken, shy and gentle girl but seeing her now, she had grown. Though she still retained some of those qualities, she was stronger, held more courage and spoke with such conviction when it came to the ambition she has made for herself. The boy gave a smile and nodded. She was beginning to remind him of Vano. Speaking of which... "I'm sure Lord Vano would be so proud of you if he were here. Until we meet again." Pyramus said with a bright smile.

"Until we meet again." Miri says as she and Pyramus gave each other one last embrace before they departed in separate ways with Pyramus running to meet up with the rest of the Speakers and Miri going off to check on Alucard for she noticed he held a saddened expression once they left the catacombs. Though they had left on different paths, it felt different than how it was before. And it was a refreshing, pleasant feeling. 

At the gate, Pyramus made to the small carriage where the Speakers were in and gave Sypha and warm hug before joining the others. He had full faith in them that they will take care of Miri and that the men would be extremely lucky if she were to choose one of them, but he didn't dare say that part aloud. Still, he smiled brightly as he and the others bid their farewell. Sypha waves a sad goodbye to her grandfather and the rest of the Speakers, leave Gresit to carry on their duties in other towns.

"Hmm. Your people are going to be fine, you know." Trevor says as he placed a hand of her shoulder.

"I know. And I know they have to do it. Other towns need their aid and to have their stories saved. I'm not worried about them." Sypha admits to Trevor. She wasn't worried about their safety, as much as she feels abandoned.

"You're worried about yourself, Sypha. You've always been with your family. You've never travelled alone." Trevor says.

"Never. Isn't it silly? They're heading into who knows what danger, and I'm standing here sad and angry because they're together and I'm alone. And what have Miri and Pyramus gone through? I shouldn't think this when they have felt much worse than what I'm feeling right now." 

"Hmm."

An awkward silence fell on them for a moment.

"This is where you're supposed to tell me that I'm not alone, Belmont. You are really not very good at this." Sypha irritably tells Trevor. Failing to offer the routine assurances that she's not alone.

"I learned to travel alone early in life. Maybe I just got too used to it." Trevor tells her. He hasn't had much experience with companionship, of any kind. He only met Miri a few days ago so he hasn't had any time to truly connect with her, other than feeling that he needs to protect, teach her how to be more tougher and understand the pain they felt was similar.

"You had a family, though." Sypha said.

"Not much of one and not for long. Okay, look. I know a little bit about what you're feeling. I'm sorry, but we have a thing to do now. All I can do is try and make sure it doesn't get you killed so you can see your family again." He says with a small smile.

"That's your encouraging talk?" Sypha questioned.

Trevor's smile dropped and went back to his natural boorish self. "Or you get killed and they get eaten in the forest. So none of you have to be sad. How's that?"

Sypha narrows her eyes at him and angrily repeats her earlier assessment. "I was right about you the first time, you know. You are rude."

"I've been called worse." Trevor retorts.

"Oh, I'm just getting started."

Meanwhile, Miri makes her way towards the Speakers' partially collapsed hut and sees Alucard sitting on the floor. Miri pauses as she wonders what she should say to cheer him up. She knows how he is feeling about his father's insanity and honouring his mother's memory was much more complex than what she's aware of. But she should at least do something to help make him feel better.

She was about to go up and talk to him when she saw him pick a stick and idly began to draw in the dirt floor. Alucard began drawing portraits of his father and mother as he sadly he speaks to his father's image. "Alucard, they called me. The opposite of you. Mother never liked that. Did you know that? She hated the idea that I might define myself by you. Even in opposition to you. She loved us both. Enough that she wanted us to be our own people. Living our own lives. Making our own choices." He said.

"And so here I am. Choosing to honour my mother by killing my father." Alucard took the stick and swiped it against his father's portrait, destroying it. "No longer Adrian Tepes. Choosing to be Alucard of Wallachia, the name of my mother's people." Miri hid beneath the rubble as she silently watched the Dhampir as he chooses to embrace his name as the "opposition to him" and kill his father for the sake of his mother's memory. Her eyes widened when she saw a single tear fell from his face. "I'm sorry, Mother." He said, softly.

Miri gripped her chest, feeling her heart break apart inside as she gazed upon him. She felt such sorrow for him. His pain must be greater than life itself. Miri felt tears begin to swell in her eyes as she walked towards him, sinking to her feet and catching him off guard when he felt the young girl placed her hands on his shoulders and resting her forehead on his back.

"I'm sorry..." She said softly. "I cannot begin to imagine how you must be feeling." Alucard was caught by surprise but he slowly relaxed as he let out a sigh. "It's nothing for you to be concerned about. There's no reason for you apologise." He said.

"I understand... But I know that the sadness you feel must be unbearable to handle alone. I'm not sure how much use I might be...but if you ever feel the need to open up, I'd be more than happy to listen to you. We've all lost something precious, that we may never get back again, and we all have wounds that are still healing. You are not alone, Sir...um... I'm sorry, I'm not sure what name you wish for me to call you." Miri murmured. Alucard was stunned at Miri's kindness, it made his heart flutter a bit to see her so kind and so understanding. He gave a smile as he reached up to hold one of her hands.

"You may call me Alucard. The name of my mother's people." He told her.

Chapter 9: Hidden Ruins and The Cunning Carmilla

Chapter Text

Dracula's Castle

Hector walks into his forge preparing to get some work down when he suddenly feels a tug on his sash. He looks down and smiles warmly. Greeting him was a toddler with tanned skin and greyish-purple hair and eyes, and Cezar, one of his pets. A black zombie pug with one eye missing and the other glowing a faint blue colour. "Silvanus, little Cezar. What are you doing?" He says as he picks up the child and puppy, cuddling with them.

"It's not really doing much, Hector. It's dead." Godbrand says as enters the silver-grey haired man's forge. He narrows his eyes at the red-head Vampire and lets out a sigh. "You really don't understand the act of forging, do you? He's not dead. We make life from death here." He told him.

"And you make soldiers for Dracula. Which is one reason why he invests so much in you despite your, uh, humanity." Godbrand says. From the sounds of it, he was trying very, very hard to be nice to Hector.

"Is there anything you might want here, Sir Godbrand? If what you are seeking is a tedious brawl then I must request you take it somewhere else. Somewhere that my child is not present." A woman's voice said. The two men turned to look behind them and saw a young woman walking towards them. She had long, wavy, raven-black hair that falls to her waist and medium-brown skin. She has an hourglass figure and striking golden green eyes. She wore a white top with a teal and blue bodice, along with an indigo sarong and white petticoat, is barefoot and wears a golden hoop earrings.

Godbrand gave her a grimace expression as he makes a grudging apology. "I actually came to apologize for my outburst in the War Hall."

"Excellent apology." Hector says.

"At least he's trying." The woman says as she walks up to him, taking her child into her arms.

"Dracula brought us all here to fight his war, Hector. All the vampires under his reign." Godbrand says, accepting that they are on the same side, and their shared loyalty to Dracula demands that they work together.

"The war. Not his war." Hector clarifies as he snaps a rib bone from the corpse that laid on the table and presented it to Cezar. He sets him down and tosses the bone, letting the little pug give chase.

"It's just somewhat galling to have him look to the two humans in the room first. I should have held my tongue. So I apologize."

"Accepted." Hector says as he picks up his hammer, accepting Godbrand's apology graciously.

Yet, he still keeps talking.

"But the other generals and my subordinates have some questions." Godbrand says.

"Oh?"

"Hector, do you think this war is going well?" He asks.

"We're hardly losing." Hector says.

"No, of course not. But it seems chaotic, undirected. As if we were lashing out at humanity without any real plan beyond wild destruction." Godbrand said. That...was surprise thoughtful of him. But he's right. So far, their war on humanity has been less of a military campaign than just lashing out in the bloodiest manner possible.

Hector blows on his hammer and cleans it a bit, saying, "I think wild destruction is what he wants."

"There should be order, right? Even in the removal of a species from a place. Wars have order. Plans and maps and lines. It could be done in less of a-." Godbrand began to say. He feels that any war, even a genocidal one, should be conducted with a bit more order and a bit less chaos. However, he was silenced by the cold, blank stare that Hector gave him. Godbrand steps back as he raises his arms defensively and he says, "It could be done more carefully."

"Oh. There is more wanton bloodshed than I would like. I don't love the rest of humanity. I don't wanna share a world with them, but," Hector said, pausing for a sigh. "The suffering."

The woman glanced at the doorway and tugged at Hector's sleeve. "Sir Hector, the others have arrived." She said. The two men turned to see a Vampire wheeling in a cart full of corpses, carrying the last of the human victims from Gresit (one of them is the Bishop's, his head half bitten off by Blue Fangs).

"The last of the dead from Gresit?" Godbrand asks.

"Yes. The night hordes took as many of their victims as they could for the forges." Hector said. "This will do. If there are any left, take them to Isaac." Hector polishes his enchanted hammer and held it in front of him. A blue flame erupts from the hammer as energy flows out.

"Ah. The Devil Forgemaster at work again. Raising the dead. Pity there's no more mistreated dead pets," Godbrand says, kicking Cezar away from him when he ran up to play with him. "To add to your collection."

Hector narrows his eyes at that and firmly says, "If you'll excuse me, Godbrand, I have work to do." He slams his enchanted hammer on the table, making a soft dinging sound as the corpse's body began to heal and turn into something else. In the middle of it, the people in the room suddenly felt the castle beginning to give off some tremors.

"He's moving the castle again." The woman says.

"Yes. His wonders to perform." Hector said. In the control room, Dracula activates the mechanism that teleports the castle from the ruins of Targoviste into a more secluded valley.

Back at Gresit

"I'm a nice person. I am. I know how to be nice." Trevor says, walking with Sypha as they make their way to the Speakers' hut, attempting to make himself sound like a nice person.

"No, you don't." Sypha says.

"I do. I'm nice to everybody. Talk to Miri, she'll tell you the same thing." Trevor said.

"I believe you're nice to her is because she gave you free food and took you out of the cold. And even so, why are most of the stories you've told me in the last few days about you arriving somewhere and then getting punched in the face?" Sypha questioned.

"That's because everyone else is a horrible piece of shit." Trevor said.

"See?"

"What?" Trevor asks once they arrived in the hut. Miri glanced up and greeted them with a smile. "Welcome back." She said.

Sypha smiled at her as she turns her attention to the blond-haired Dhampir. "So, how do we proceed?" She asked.

"Have the Speakers left?" Alucard asked.

"Yeah." Trevor said.

"I'm sorry. In success, you will see them again soon, in far happier circumstances." Alucard says as he gives Sypha a kind smile.

"See? He knows how to be nice." Sypha points out as Trevor sulks away. She turns back to him and asks, "Is it true, then? The castle can travel somehow? We know the stories, but sometimes it's hard to separate myth from truth."

"Tell her about Dracula's castle, Alucard. Her day can't get any more ruined." Trevor says as he searches through a crate. "Sir Belmont, hush." Miri scolded.

"Dracula's castle moves. How to describe it? It travels without moving. It appears at locations as if, well, as if by magic." Alucard said.

"Is there any way to trap it somehow?" Miri asked.

"There must be. How do we start?" Sypha said.

Trevor pulled out a bottle from the crate but discovers it to be empty and the bottom half broken. "I want to go home." He sighed.

"Have you been drinking again?" Sypha shouts at him. 

"Some chance. But no. I want to go home. The old Belmont estate." Trevor said.

"I was under the impression it was destroyed. Villagers, pitchforks, and torches, that sort of thing." Alucard said.

"It was. But the value of the old house wasn't the house itself." Trevor said. "It was what was underneath it. The Belmont Hold. Our family library and trove."

"The collected knowledge and material of generations of Belmonts who fought the creatures of the night. That sounds interesting. If it survives." Alucard said.

"If there are solutions to the problems of finding and killing Dracula, they are in the Hold." Trevor says.

"You're guessing, though."

"I am guessing. I can't read or understand magic. But my family stored everything they found, including books of magic and whatever other weird stuff they came across. I just can't do anything with it. But you three can." Trevor tells him.

"Fortunate indeed, then, that I chose not to kill you and eat you, Belmont." Alucard said with a smile.

"Sir Alucard, please." Miri says.

"And that I decided against gutting you, flaying you, and turning you into shoes, Alucard." Trevor shot back.

"Sir Belmont, stop it." Miri said.

"Such a merry band we are." Sypha says as she starts to walk away. "I will find us a covered wagon and horses, if you two can manage not to kill each other while I'm gone."

"Oh, please. We're not children." Alucard said. Sypha gave a sceptical look as she turns to the younger girl who was sitting in between them, and told her, "Miri, make they don't kill each other." She nodded her head. "Yes, Madam." Miri says as she walks away. Silence hovered above them for a moment.

"Eat shit and die." Trevor said.

"Yes, fuck you." Alucard replied.

"You're both acting like children!" Miri cried out. 

With that, the three of them started laughing. Miri glanced at the two men and smiled. She considered this to be one of those... 'male bonding' moments her father talked about once. If those petty insults made them laugh, then she figured it was better than them physically fighting.

"Do you believe we could find the tools to kill my father at your old home?" Alucard asks him.

"I'll be honest with you. I don't have a better idea. I just know that right here, right now, we are under-equipped for the job." Trevor says.

"I'm trusting you, Belmont. Don't make me regret it." Alucard said.

Trevor chuckles a bit. "Everybody regrets it in the end, Alucard." Miri places a hand on Trevor's arm and tells him, "Whatever your family has collected, I'm sure we will find all that we need. The best thing we can do right now is have hope, Sir Belmont." Trevor smiled at her. After some time Sypha comes back with a covered wagon. Once they got in, the small team departs from Gresit heading towards Trevor's old home.

At Dracula's Castle

Dracula's war council continue to bicker and squabble amongst themselves, specifically arguing with the Devil Forgemasters. "No, no, no! Dracula will decide, not you. Threaten me all you like, I will die for him, if I don't kill you first." Isaac says, arguing with one of the Vampires.

"You do not question my loyalty. All I'm saying is that our goals can be met without gleefully paddling in the blood of children." Hector strongly insists as Dracula enters the room with a heated glare. "Enough! I told you all that Hector and Isaac would guide our next steps. You will cease this infantile squabbling." He says. However, his war council were too engrossed in their arguments and were too busy fighting to even listen to him. Dracula's anger rose steadily as they hadn't stopped when he clearly orders them to.

"I said..." He said. They kept on shouting each other. "I said..." They were baring their teeth and shoving each other. "Cease!" He shouts, his voice echoing the main room. As he tries to bring his generals into line, the doors opened and the arguments were silenced as a woman walks into the room. She had the appearance of a pale woman with crimson red lips and long straight white hair. Although her face is mostly round, she has a notoriously pointy chin. She is also seen wearing a black and crimson red ombre dress, sporting golden shoulder plates and matching heels.

She broke through the crowd and walk towards Dracula. She gave a humble bow as she introduced herself to him. " I am Carmilla. I am come from far Styria to join the war council."

"Your presence was requested some time ago, Carmilla of Styria." Dracula said, admonishing her.

"Indeed. But your mighty castle keep moves around." Carmilla countered. "And with such mighty vampire generals advising you and prosecuting your war, what use could you have possibly had for a mere regional ruler? And yet, my lord, your forces were repelled from a single city-state. Your generals are in disarray. So I feel that, perhaps, it is time to offer my insights to your great cause."

"And what insights have you, Carmilla?" Dracula asks her, narrowing his eyes at her.

"Why was this new wife of yours never turned?" She questioned, capturing the other Vampires attention. The atmosphere in the room changed. It was cold, heavy and dangerous. A beckoning silence fills the room and Dracula's eyes turn bloody red"What did you say?" He asked. His voice sounded calm, but his anger was clearly visible.

"You married, you had a child, and yet you did not make her a vampire. Why was that? Were you simply keeping a human pet?" She questioned. Dracula's hand quivered before clenching his throne tightly, his claws breaking through the stone. Hector and Isaac glanced at each other in worry. "And if so, why is vampire society going to war with the world over it?"

A furious Dracula slowly rose from his seat and stars down at Carmilla with a hate-filled glare and demands, "I will speak with you alone. Attend me." And leaves the room without giving her another chance to speak.

Eventually, Carmilla enters his study and walks over to him. "Yes?" She asks, acting very casual towards him. Only to behaving more professional and formal when he gave her a stare. "Yes? You wished to speak to me, my lord?"

"That was a dramatic entrance, Carmilla." Dracula says.

"It was not meant to disrespect you. It was intended to unsettle a room full of men. I prefer in such situations to arrive with as many advantages as possible." She told him.

"And how is it that you're here?" He asked.

"Godbrand has been keeping me apprised of your castle's position. Your current location was also advantageous." Carmilla said.

"And why has Godbrand been in regular communication with you?" Dracula asked her.

"I suspect he still wants to sleep with me." Carmilla says with a slight smile.

"And will you?"

Carmilla lets out a humorous laugh. "My lord! From another man, that would be impossible impertinence."

"And yet, I prefer to know my generals' ties and compromises." Dracula said.

"I may, if all the other Vampire males in the world drop dead, and half the females. Some of the animals." Carmilla tells him.

Dracula lets out a chuckle as he says, "Very good, Carmilla. Speaking of impertinence, you just denounced the choice not to turn my dead wife in front of all my generals." Dracula says, questioning Carmilla's motives in angering him in front of his generals. What advantage does my anger buy you?"

"None. It's a question they have all been asking themselves." She pointed out. "I gave you an opportunity to address it, my lord."

"Oh, so you were helping." Dracula stated.

"Of course, my lord."

"Then why have you only just arrived?" He asked, his eyes narrowing. "You were summoned some time ago. Surely I needed 'help' much earlier."

"Distractions at home. Securing my region. Villagers, pitchforks, torches, the usual." Carmilla says.

"Hmm. Rejoin the others. Hector and Isaac, my Forgemasters, will be directing our next moves. I'm sure they would enjoy your help." Dracula says to her, directing Carmilla to help the two Devil Forgemasters.

"As you wish, my lord." Carmilla says, giving a bow before leaving the room. But not before spreading a smile behind Dracula's back.

Elsewhere, between Gresit and Arges

Trevor, Sypha, Miri and Alucard stopped at in open trail and decided to camp for the night. Miri had stepped out of the wagon and volunteered to go out and get some firewood. When she put on her hood and preparing to head out, Alucard offered to go with her. "I will accompany you." Alucard said as he stepped out of the wagon.

"No, no, please. It's alright." Miri politely said as she shook her head. Not wanting to trouble her new friend. "No, I insist." Alucard told her. Miri glanced at Sypha and saw that she was smirking at her. Miri flinched and her cheeks turned bright red. She fidgeted with her braids as she softly said, "Really, it's alright. Please don't trouble yourself with me." She was so embarrassed, though she didn't understand why.

"Yes, please do go with Miri." Sypha smiled.

"N-no, please. I can go by myself." Miri quickly said.

"Nonsense, I will come with you. It is dangerous for a young lady your age to be wandering the woods by yourself, even if you have magic." Alucard stated. Miri looked at him, blushing red as she tried to hide her face with her hood as she gave in. "Very well, i-if that's what you want."

Miri and Alucard went into the woods and the gipsy girl found some little tree branches, she found more and more wood until she couldn't hold any more of it, she struggled as Alucard and her were going back to their camp. Alucard noticed this and turned to her.

"Let me carry those for you." He said and took the wood from her hands carrying them himself. "I'm sorry if I am causing trouble for you." she said. Alucard chuckled as he said, "Don't be ridiculous. I can't just let a lady carry something heavy, it would be very rude of me."

"I... I hadn't anticipated you to be such a gentleman." Miri murmured shyly, looking away.

"What did you think I was?" Alucard queried with interest in his voice.

Miri's faced flushed with embarrassment and quickly said, "Nothing negative, I assure you! I, not once, have thought anything less than you. I was just merely saying that I hadn't expected you to be this kind- ah, no, no! That did not sound acceptable, I-."

As she begins to babble on, Alucard looked at her and couldn't help but let out a laugh. His laugh caused Miri to pause in her explanation. "I apologise. I was merely teasing you. No harm?" Alucard asked with a smile. Miri shyly turned away and nodded. "No harm at all."

"I am rather curious. It's cold winter and yet you seem to be unaffected. You wear no shoes and neither your cloak or clothing seem to provide much warmth. Why might that be?" Alucard asked her.

"Oh? It's because of the type of magic I possess. My people all specialise in one form of magic or another and we inherited that magic from parents and so forth." Miri explained. "Since birth, I had inherited power for ice and snow from my mother, so even the harshest winters don't exactly disconcert me."

"Interesting." Alucard said as they arrived back at camp, setting down the firewood and, thanks to Sypha, began making a fire. As they were beginning to wind down and earn a bit of a breather from everything that has happened so far, Sypha looks over at Alucard and says, "I'm still not completely clear on why you don't catch fire in the daylight."

"I am half-human. My mother's name was Lisa, and she was mortal." Alucard told her.

"I would very much like to hear the story of how that happened." Sypha says with a smile.

"Madam Belnades, you must be polite when you say such things." Miri said. Truth be told, she was also curious how Alucard's parents became united but she thought it would be rude to ask.

"I was polite." Sypha told her.

Alucard chuckled and said, "She actually showed up at his front door. She found the castle and banged the door with the pommel of her knife."

"She sounds interesting!" Sypha said. Miri nodding her head in agreement.

"Oh, she was remarkable. She beat on the door until my father let her in, and then demanded he teach her how to be a doctor." Alucard said, recounting the story of how his mother, Lisa, met Dracula.  Trevor, who had been lying down on the ground half-listening to the story, then sat up straight and asked, "Wait, Dracula taught a human woman how to be a doctor? What was first? Blood-letting?" He laughed at his own joke.

"God, you still think you're funny." Alucard said. "My father-."

"Dracula." Trevor cut in before he saw silenced when a snowball, courtesy of a certain young girl, was thrown at his face. "Is a man of science, a philosopher, a scholar, and knows things our society have forgotten three times over. Do you still not understand the enormity of what we're doing? He's gone mad. And from that, there is no recovering him." Alucard said.

"Shame." Trevor said as he brushed off the snow.

"It's a tragedy. He's a repository of centuries of learning. He could've changed the world. I think he might have, if Mother hadn't died. She'd sent him out into the world. That's why he wasn't there when the bishops took her." Alucard explained. Alucard strongly believed that with Lisa's influence, Dracula could have benefited the world with his infinite knowledge.

"She sent him away?" Miri asked curiously.

"She sent him to travel. To learn the true state of the world, the true nature of humans and how they live." He said.

"She was turning him." Sypha said.

"Imagine if he could have aimed all that knowledge at improving lives. If the religious inquisition hadn't proved true all of his worst instincts about humans." Alucard said. His father, Dracula was away from his home learning about the world when Lisa was killed by the church, and the act has driven him mad with grief.

"Now he's going to use her death as an excuse to destroy the world." Trevor said. "Oh, the world will still be here, Belmont." Alucard said in a dark tone. "Trees will still grow, birds will still sing, animals will still hump away in the undergrowth. But you won't be here."

He turns to Miri. "And you won't be here. None of you. The sun will still set, but you will not see it rise. There will only be Dracula, and his war council, and the hordes of the night. He writes in great books, you know. He hews the covers himself from oak, and wraps them in the preserved skin of the people who he hated most. And he writes plans. I've seen them. Ideas for darkening clouds and making them as permanent in the air as the frost of the north. Great strange flying machines that pull shrouds across the sky to block out the sun. Imagine it. A world without humans, under endless invented night. And Dracula in his castle, his revenge so horribly complete that there is nothing left to do but look out over a world without art or memory or laughter and know that he did his work well. That he did it all for love." He said as he stares at the flames in front of him.

Miri was shellshocked at what she had just heard. Dracula was completely mad with grief. Because of what the church had done, killing his wife and proving his thought about humans right, he intends to create a world for the creatures of the night only, completely void of humans. All world on endless night. Where the sun will never shine its light again. And nothing but cold and darkness will remain. Miri clutched her father's pendant and gave a small prayer for all of them to succeed in their mission, no matter how harsh it may be. Miri jumped in surprise when she thought she heard a growl and steps scurrying around. "Did you hear that?" She asked, turning around where she thought the source was in.

"Animals humping in the undergrowth." Alucard said until he and the others heard a low snarl echoed in the night. "Wait, no." Trevor quickly stood up and kicked up dirt to put out the fire as he and the others went on high alert. "Which is the nearest town? Is it still Gresit?" He asked.

"Arges is closer to us." Sypha said. They looked up and saw that rounding the corner where they were a small hoard of demons. No doubt they were looking for them. Trevor ran off and climbed up some trees, Miri followed his example and created her bow as she also climbed up a tree while Alucard started to walk towards them with his sword in hand. Sypha let out a sigh and pulled her hood over.

 Alucard confronts the demon hoard as they snarled at him. The Dhampir pulled out his sword and pointed the blades towards them. "No further." He said. Two demons growled and lunged towards him. When they jumped into the air to attack, Alucard used his superhuman speed to move to the side and his swords was engulfed in a blue flame. In one quick strike, Alucard stabbed the two beasts in their throats before they had ever realised he moved. The flames spread through bodies as they screeched in agony.

Alucard tossed their bodies aside as the rest of the demons roared viciously at his as two more into attack. A winged demon gripped a humanoid bird-like creature wielding a spear and tossed it towards the Dhampir. It struck with its spear but Alucard was able to block the attack as it struck the ground. It goes to strike again as the winged demon flew in a blew balls fire towards him. Alucard dodged and blocked each of their attacks before the winged demon grabbed hold of its partner and flew into the sky, preparing another direct assault.

But then they were caught by surprise when an arrow was launched over their heads and was shot towards the sky. They turned and saw Miri up on one of the trees with her bow aimed at them. They screeched and were about to attack when the arrow she fired glowed a bright blue, then exploded into millions of arrows. They all glowed as they fell from the sky. It was the rain was lighting up the night sky instead of sacred arrows. The demons screeched as they were struck by the arrows causing the winged to dropped its partner while it was ripped to pieces by Miri's attack.

The bird-like creature fell to the ground in a loud thud and Trevor slide down a tree branch and jumped into the air. He used his whip to grabbed the spear that the demon was attempting to reach. With the weapon in the hand, Trevor swooped down and stabbed the beast in the throat with its own weapon.

Alucard and Trevor shared a smile before jumping back when three demons began hurling balls of fire towards them. Sypha entered the fray and took control of the fire and launched back at them, scorching two as Miri jumped down from the tree and ran towards the demons. Miri's bow glowed and it transformed into a spear. Another of the demons was hit by the fire but it was much tougher. Miri went to strike at it with her spear and but, was knocked away by its massive clawed hand.

From its belly, it created an inferno and launched its flames at the Speaker. But she managed to hold it off with her magic. As it tries to spew out more, Sypha quickly used her magic to halt it but making more from the inside-out. As the sphere in her hands and large enough, she clasped her hands together and ignited a fiery explosion from within the demon. Killing it. However, while they succeeded in killing the small horde, one demon who is badly injured and escapes by flying away.

The others looked up as it flew away from the battle site. Knowing that it was most likely headed back to Dracula's Castle, wherever it may be.

"Nobody's going to Arges tonight." Alucard said.

Chapter 10: A Clean, Pure World. A Perfect World.

Chapter Text

*Dracula's castle*

In the castle, Isaac kneels on the floor, constantly whipping his back. He'd been at this for so long that his skin on his back became raw and bloody, but he gave no reaction. He saw no point in reacting to such pain. Had he just grown accustomed to it? Had his body just grew numb to it? ...Was it because he hadn't once cried from his pain when his former, abusive master whipped him? Perhaps. But even if he didn't feel the pain, it didn't mean Isaac wasn't feeling something. He inflicts pain on himself in a masochistic way, as penitence for his "corrupted" human body and soul.

He can still remember the last time his former master had whipped him. The anger in his eyes. The disgusted cruelty in his voice. At the time, young Isaac could do nothing but wallow in pain as his master whipped his back.

"You thieving little shit!" He shouted as he whipped him again.

"I didn't steal anything. I'm trying to learn." Isaac told him as tears flowed down his cheeks. What he said was the truth. He was only trying to learn so that he may better understand his master and help him more efficiently. Why would his master believe he would steal from him? Isaac would never do such a thing.

"I found you dying on the street! I gave you a home and fed you, and all you were supposed to do was work quietly and watch my back, not go behind my back and fuck around with the tools of my trade! Sneaking down here, going through my books." His master said, harshly chastising the young boy.

"I'm sorry." Isaac cried. Pleading his master would stop.

"What did you think you were gonna learn?" His master asked.

"How-...how to help you." Isaac said.

"Oh." His master said, surprisingly in a more calmer and gentler tone as he looked down at the boy. "You actually wanted to learn so you could help me do my work? Why?" He asked him.

"Because... Please don't be angry with me anymore." Isaac said as he turned away, continuing to cry.

"Just tell me, Isaac. It's all right." His master said.

"Because I love you." Isaac said.

"Oh. Oh, bless your heart." His master said softly. "Even after everything in your life, you're still a sweet boy who believes in love."

"I'm sorry. I just wanted to help." Isaac told him.

"Well, I love you too." His master said. Isaac gave a ghost of a smile and he let out a breath. Thank goodness...his master understood him. He understood that Isaac was only trying to help him. He was mistaken when he thought he stolen from him, but that's okay...! Isaac will forgive him. He'll do better from now on. He'll help his master in any way and he'll do it with the knowledge he'll gain from his books. At least, that what Isaac had believed. Before he felt the stinging pain of the whip on his back.

"That's why I do this. This is how I love you. This is how I teach you." His master proclaimed as he struck Isaac with every word. "You stop fucking around, you do as you're told, you never use the word "love" again." The constant whipping. The cruel abuse. The cold words. His master... Isaac's sanity had always been fragile...but the torment that this man had caused him had finally broken it. Isaac snapped.

Though his hands were bound, he caught the whip and wrest it away from him. He felt the uncontrolled, unruly anger and hatred towards the man he called master in his very soul and lunges at him. Tackling and pinning him to the ground. This time Isaac stared down in rage and his master looked up at him in fear. "No! Isaac!" He screamed as Isaac killed him by gouging out his eyes. Never again...will he ever trust another human being...

Though he hated him, Isaac thought there was one thing his former was right about. "No such thing as love in this world." He said to himself as Godbrand showed up with two other Vampires lugging in a demon corpse. "From a party sent to Arges. It died 20 yards from our door." He said. It was the same demon who had escape from Trevor's party. "Arges is some distance. He must have flown all night." Isaac said as he continued to whip himself.

"Why do you do that? The whipping?" Godbrand asked him.

"Discipline. Peace. Choosing my own actions, and inuring myself to a world of horrors." Isaac replies, cooly.

"Come on, wake up. We have a horror right here for you." Godbrand tells him as Isaac stops his whips and stood up, giving Godbrand a stare with cold, expressionless eyes. This causes the red-haired Viking to step back from him. "Imagine. So horribly injured, and so determined to come back to us." Isaac says as he turns his attention to the demon.

"And crapping out a minute before it managed it. Useless fucking thing. Now, do your filthy human magic with it." Godbrand says as he leaves the demon in the Forgemaster's care. Isaac placed aside his whip before walking over the deceased demon, placing his hands on the table as he gazed down at the creature. "I'm sorry. You struggled so hard to come back home. So loyal." He said as he gently caressed the demon's face before grabbing a large saw and begins to cut through the demon.

"Perhaps this is all loyalty buys in a world without love. Pain in the night, and death on your master's floor. Perhaps that's all that awaits me, too. But you didn't mind. You came home, regardless. The lesson here is that I shouldn't care, either." Isaac said as he sets down the saw and opened up the demon's body, exposing its organs to the world. He picked up his Ceremonial Dagger and its blade was engulfed. "Dracula will bring a pure world into being. I believe that. I believe him. I want, of all things, a pure world. A clean world. Where there's only loyalty and only love." He placed the tip of his dagger into the demon's heart and as it bleeds, the demon was resurrected.

Afterwards, Isaac formally dressed and made his way back to the main hall. Seeing Dracula and the rest of his council was already presented. He took a glance at his new master and stood beside him. Unlike his former master, Isaac felt a pure form of love and loyalty towards Dracula and knew that the pain he felt was greater than anything most humans felt. "You're so alone." He said softly.

"We have to accept that we've lost the party sent to Arges." Godbrand said.

"Taking Arges is bloodshed for its own sake. There is no strategy here." Hector said.

"Arges has no real importance. You should have counselled an attack on Braila." Carmilla said as she walks over to the two men.

"Why Braila?" Godbrand questioned.

"If you were serious about serving our lord's war, you would've seen that taking the biggest river port town in the region was important. If you take Braila, you prevent escape from Wallachia." Carmilla explained to him.

"Any city built over running water is a place that we, as Vampires, should approach carefully." Dracula said as Isaac walked down the steps and over to Hector and Godbrand "Running water? I've never heard of that affecting vampires." He said.

"Death by running water hasn't happened in many centuries." The Viking said.

"Why not?" Hector asked.

"Look around. We moved into the middle of countries." Godbrand said as if it was obvious.

"I'd been told that Vampires couldn't cross running water." Hector said as he raised a brow.

"I've been on boats. I've had baths." Godbrand told him.

"When?" Isaac questioned him.

"Baths aren't running water, though, are they?" Hector asked, crossing his arms.

"'Course they are." Godbrand said.

"How can baths be running water? The water's stopped being poured when you get in." Isaac pointed out.

"The Greeks used to bury us on small islands because the graves would be surrounded by running water." Carmilla informed them.

"I think I would probably feel like running water would kill me." Godbrand said.

"Really? Do you feel like poison would kill you? Of course, you don't. It's a thing you learn. It's not like we're given a manual for being a vampire." Carmilla sneered at him.

"Enough!" Dracula commanded. In an instant, the would-be argument was silenced and everyone stepped down. Carmilla walked over asked quietly, "Do you really think that's enough, Hector?"

"Power is what matters in this world." Isaac said. "I do not see how securing Braila over Arges gives us power. Arges is an old, respected town."

"I must respectfully disagree with my fellow Forgemaster." Hector said. "Taking Arges brings only terror, and will scatter the human populace. Taking Braila seals off one side of Wallachia."

"Interesting, Hector." Dracula said.

"I must disclose that I revived the creature that returned. The party was attacked on the road. Their assailants are unknown. But Arges is close to Gresit." Isaac reported, addressing Dracula. "We are quite certain that Alucard sleeps at Gresit." When Isaac said that Dracula, an unclear expression fell on Dracula's face. His son. He hasn't seen or heard from him in a full year. He didn't think he was still around. "And that there was recently a Belmont there." Isaac added, gaining all of the Vampires' attention.

"A Belmont? I thought they were extinct." Carmilla said with a very strained smile.

"No. We believe our lord's son, Alucard, and the Belmont may have worked together to repel our forces at Gresit." Issac told her.

"If there is a Belmont left alive, then should we not observe the ancestral Belmont home?" Carmilla asked.

"Why?" Godbrand asked, not getting the point. Carmilla, with a clear expression of anger on her face, stormed up to him and practically yelled at his face. "Perhaps on the general notion that the Belmonts hunted the likes of us for fucking centuries. And if there's one left alive, then it may have access to the trove of weapons and magical materials talked of across generations but never found, which they used to hunt us through fucking centuries. Am I making myself clear now?" She said as she turned to Dracula. "This is your war council, my lord?"

What Carmilla said brought up good points. The Belmonts was infamous for fighting the night and slaughtering the creatures that lived within it. Some of the Vampires thought Camilla was right, perhaps they put a watch on the Belmont estate in case they are heading to obtain the trove of magic and weapons.

***************

Back at Hector's forge, Silvanus watched with interest as he watched his mother, Leonora, mush various berries and apples together in a bowl. She took a small piece with her finger and tasted it. Good, it was perfectly mashed and there were a few solid bits but they were so little they were barely noticeable. "That should be good enough." She said to herself as she took out a spoon from her small bag. "Alright, open up now." Silvanus looked at his mother and copied her when she opened her mouth and ate his food.

"Haha, I was beginning to wonder where you had gone." Hector said as he walked into the forge. Smiling when he saw Leonora feeding her child. "You hardly, if ever, leave Silvanus alone." The golden-green eyed woman gave a small giggle as she gazed up at him. "I didn't want to, but it was either leaving him here with your creations to protect him, or risk venture out for food with a small child." She said.

"I see your point." Hector said as he picks up his hammer and proceeds to work at creating demons for Dracula's army. Leonora watches in both curiosity and amazement as he works. She had seen him do this for animals, but she was still impressed that Hector could create life from death. Not only that but they appear to behave and think as they were before. She wasn't entirely fond of necromancy magic, this was something that is a part of Hector and she held no right to speak ill of his talents. Though Hector had told her before that he didn't mind if she didn't agree with it.

While feeding Silvanus, Leonora said, "It still amazes me at how well you created these beings from death. If you do not mind me asking, when did you discover this ability? I do not mean to pry, I'm only curious."

"It's alright. My father was an alchemist, so I had figured I inherent some of his capabilities." Hector said as he brought down his hammer beside the table. That was one of his core memories. He was still a young boy when he recognised his talents. Back when he still lived with his parents.

He had stepped out and wandered through the trail. Passed the stream and ended up walking through a field. He thought about his life and just how lonely he was. His parents hated him and he was left without a single friend. He wondered at why he was allowed to exist if he was only made to suffer. He looked up at the sky, covering his face as he saw birds circling. Then the sound of flies caught his ears and looked to where a small herd of flies huddling around in a patch of grass.

He walked over to where they were and his heart broke apart when he discovered a poor dead dog in the fields. Its eye was missing and its ribs and muscles were exposed. Tears fell from Hector's eyes as he fell to his knees. The poor thing... Hector cried for it, imagining the pain it must've suffered before passing as he gently petted its back. Thinking of a way to save it, Hector reached into his pocket and pulled out two special coins. He held them over the dog and clanked them together, blue sparks emerged from the coins and fell upon the dog. He did it a second time. It moved its leg and lifted its head. He did it a third time and out came a wave of energy. It danced in the air before flowing towards the animal.

Hector sat in silence as he wondered if what he did worked. He waited and within a few moments, a blue light glowed from it missing eye and let out a small whimpering howl. Hector smiled in relief and he saw the dog lifted its head and look up at him with its gentle blue eye. For the first time, Hector gave a bright smile and he runs off, urging the dog to follow him. Once the dog got up on it feet it chased after him, barking happily as it caught up to Hector and the two ran back to his home. Finally, Hector had thought. He was finally able to gain a friend. With his newly dog at his side, he walked inside his home.

"Hector?" His mother called out, then she saw what he had brought with him. "AAAAAHHHH!"

However, life can be so cruel and will often take away a piece of happiness. Without fail.

Leonora picked up Silvanus and walked over when Hector tapped his hammer a third time, and the demon before them had returned to life. Its bones, flesh, and body regrew and repaired itself as if was given new life. It was reformed back into its original state, as well as its primal instincts. Hector held out his hand to keep Leonora at a safe distance as the demon sets its eyes on the Forgemaster, hissing at him. It swipes its claws at him, trying to attack him. Fortunately, Hector was able to dodge most of its attacks. It stumbled a bit before it growled, preparing to attack again but then Hector placed a hand on the demon's face. Looking at it with calm, cool eyes. His expression soft, yet in control. The demon took in a few quick breaths before it calmed down.

 Hector smiles at it before walking away and leaving the creature be. It stood calmly in place before it wandered around the room. Carmilla watches the procedure from the doorway and was amazed at the creation of the night creature. "A new night creature. Amazing." She said as she walked into the forge. "Hector. May we speak?" Her pale blue eyes fell upon the young mother and child, and her gaze narrowed at them. "Alone?" She asked.

Leonora held her child close to her as she looked over at Hector. The silver-grey haired man met her eyes and he walked over to her, placing a hand on her cheek. "I'm sure it won't take long." He said, kindly. Leonora wanted to object but looked down and saw Silvanus was getting anxious when he stared at Carmilla. Silvanus let out a small whimper and held onto his mother tightly, trying to hide his face. If she were honest, she was getting nervous as well when looking at her cold eyes. Leonora hushed her boy and looked back at Hector. "Alright. I'll be back later." She said as she stood on her toes to whisper to him, "Please be careful." Leonora placed a soft kiss on Hector's cheek before walking out of the forge.

Hector watched her leave and when she was out of sight, he went over to the table and began cleaning his hammer "I can't stop you from speaking to me. You're vampire aristocracy after all. I'm a simple human smith." He said.

"Your skills are legend. Our kind has never produced a Forgemaster." Carmilla said.

"Well, you didn't have to. Before the war, night creatures were simply a species in hiding. They either reproduced naturally or were created by acts of wild magic." Hector said. "Now they are soldiers. Their numbers have to be replenished. You didn't need Forgemasters until now."

"But your intellect cannot be denied." Carmilla laughed slightly.

"If you say so."

"I do. And Dracula himself clearly agrees. He listens to you." Carmilla said.

"As much as he does to Isaac. Which is, frankly, not much." Hector told her.

"I believe you are actually worried about Dracula."

Hector sighs as he placed his hands and hammer on the table. "I am. It's not like him to be indecisive. The fire in him has gone out somehow, and it's as if we're looking at the embers of a man."

"There are things we can do that don't require his decisions." Carmilla said.

"Oh, I doubt that." Hector said.

"There are. It means nothing to the war effort if we sent a group to the Belmont home to begin a search for their hold." Carmilla says as little pattered steps came in and Hector's attention was briefly taken by little Cezar. "Why are you so fascinated by that?" Hector says as he kneels to the pug.

"If anyone in all of the world has tools or magic who can harm our lord, Dracula, it is in the Belmont trove. We need to ensure it does not fall into the wrong hands. Simple." Carmilla explains to him.

Hector thought about it for a moment and placed Cezar down, getting back up to his full height. "All right. That is logical. I agree to that, but Dracula must approve the dispensation of troops." He says.

Carmilla looked at him for a moment before walking up to the large window and gazed out into the night. She folded her arms behind her as she asked, "How did you come to be in his service?"

"I met him over a year ago, when he was travelling. He sought me out, you know." Hector replied.

"Did he really?" Carmilla asks as she looked at little pug that walked up and sat in front of her.

"I was living in the east of Rhodes with Leonora and Silvanus, very quietly." He said. He watched carefully as Carmilla kneeled down and lovingly patted Cezar's head. "He'd heard of me from scholars in town and looked for me specifically." He said with a small laugh. "We talked for hours. After his wife died, he came to me asking for my help. Can you imagine? A man like that...Asking a human for help in order to avenge a human?"

It was raining that day. A bit of a storm but nothing to be concern about. Hector was sitting in a room with Leonora. Silvanus was fast asleep in his room and Hector was showing her how he was able to bring life back into animals when the two of them heard their door open and shut, their cat hissing, and steady footsteps drawing near.

"Master Dracula? Is it you?" Hector asked cautiously. Stepping out of the shadows, the count appeared before them. He looked so broken. His eyes were filled with sadness and anger. Sorrow decorated his face.

"Hector. I have need of your skills." He said in an almost soft voice.

"Tell me what you need." Hector says as he rose to his feet.

"I need an army. The dead must rise, and creatures of the night must be called into their corpses. These are your skills." He said.

"What has happened? What has caused you to have a desire for an army?" Leonora asked him gently. Sensing the despair and sadness waving off him. Dracula hung his head and was silent for a moment, before saying, "They killed my wife."

"They?"  Hector asked.

"The humans. The stupid, vicious, spiteful, evil humans. The humans you renounced. The humans you live apart from. They killed my wife." Dracula said softly, but his anger was evident in his voice.

"I am so sorry." Hector said as he turned his gaze away while Leonora looked at him with sympathy.

"No more, Hector." Dracula said as he lifted his head. "They must be stopped. Culled." The raven-haired woman let out a fearful gasp as he said this. The tone of his voice shifted and the expression in his eyes was merciless and they were seeking for blood. Leonora gripped her shirt as she tried to speak, "C-culled..? But...that's..." She was interrupted by the sound of a small child's cough and whimper. Her eyes widened slightly as she gave the count a respectful bow. "P-please...excuse me." Leonora said as she quickly rushed out of the room to aid Silvanus.

Hector gazed at Dracula before he closed his eyes and turned around. Reaching for his hammer. "Is this genocide, Dracula?" He asked him.

"Would that concern you?" The Vampire King asks.

"With the purer exception of Leonora and Silvanus, my fellow humans have never treated me with love, and I punished them for it." Hector said as he thought this through. He hated his kind for how they treated him. Hated him. Feared him. Disgusted by him. His kind never gave him a chance to be accepted. So, of course, he needed to punish them for their cruelty. Though Hector baulked at the idea of genocide, he approved of a cull of the humans who had never treated him with love. As long as the cull was merciful, Hector would agree to help him.

"But I wouldn't have them suffer. And like any animal, I think the world would be poorer with their extinction. I would just see to it that they couldn't harm anyone else." He told him. Especially when he met Leonora and her child. They were so much purer and innocent compared to the rest of humanity. They did not look at him with the same eyes as the rest of humanity did. No, Leonora looked at him with kindness, compassion and love. Her son, dear Silvanus had followed suit. They cherished him. Their innocence is something Hector never believed he would experience and is something he vowed to protect.

Leonora would object to the idea of total genocide, as she believed that all life was sacred, but Hector would do whatever it was necessary to keep the two of them protected. He swore that no harm would ever come to them. 

"Then that is how it shall be." Dracula said, agreeing with his idea of how to deal with the humans.

"Vampires feed on humans. I understand this." Hector says.

"Hmm."

"If humans became livestock, I would have no concern over that if conditions were..." Hector said before trailing off.

"Humane?" Dracula asked.

"I was gonna say 'merciful'." Hector replies as he scratched his cheek before turning his sights on the little fox he had on the stone table.

"Oh, yes. I can promise a merciful end to the human plague, Hector." Dracula said as he walked towards the young man and offered his hand to him. "Will you join me?"

"A cull. Controlled population. Making sure they cannot harm anyone else." Hector took in a breath as he faced Dracula. He agrees with Dracula's plans and he will do this so that his new family will no longer live/hide in constant fear. Just for being gipsies. With Dracula leading the attack, he was sure that he will create the perfect world for Leonora and Silvanus. Leonora would never have to worry about being hunted and Silvanus would be able to grow up freely and happily. He'd do this for them. The perfect world for them to live in peace. "Yes." Hector said as he took Dracula's hand, sealing their agreement.

"He was a giant. Only a year ago. But now..." Hector says to Carmilla as she walked over to him, glancing over to the small heap of human corpses. "It was my understanding that when a Forgemaster re-animates a thing, it has total loyalty to the Forgemaster and his goals." She says as she walked behind.

"It does." Hector says.

Carmilla walked up and spoke smoothly in his ears. "Make some troops that you can trust completely with whatever they find. And then help me convince Dracula to attack Braila."

Chapter 11: The House of Belmont

Chapter Text

The full moon shined brightly alongside the millions of stars way above them our the group travelled down the road. It was quiet and no one has spoken since their fight against that demon hoard but it was nice to get a little peace for the remainder of their journey. Miri smiled as she stared up at the night sky. Thinking of her parents and the rest of her people...wherever they are, she had faith that they were all staring at the same sky. Miri's smile brightens as she recalled her father's words.

When you find yourself in total darkness, then search for the light. Now that she's here, looking up at the star-filled night, perhaps the dark wasn't so scary. Without it, the moon wouldn't exist. The stars would not shine. The light from the moon wouldn't share its glow. Miri began to think that maybe the darkness wasn't meant to be fear after all once you know what it can hold. She was pulled out of her thoughts when Trevor suddenly said, "There." He pointed over to an old, broken tree.

"That's my tree. I used to play in that tree. We're nearly at the house." He said.

"It's hard to imagine you playing." Sypha says as she looks over at the tree. Trevor gave her a look before giving a small smile. "Yeah. I suppose so. But it was everything, that tree. It was my house, and my boat, and my fort. Anything I wanted it to be." He said as he thought back to his childhood memories. Back when he was still happy. "Goodnight, tree." Trevor felt a hand give his shoulder a gentle squeeze and he turned to see Miri giving him a comforting smile. The Hunter smiled back a bit before looking away.

They travelled down the road and Trevor, Sypha, Miri and Alucard reach the ruins of the Belmont estate. What was once a grand house for the experience and talented hunters of the night, what was once built with pride and honour to protect their country from the creatures that hide with it, was now an empty husk of its former glory. Trevor never thought he'd come back here again. Miri's eyes widen at the sight of the Belmont estate. Though it was laid to waste and decrepit, she found it to be quite beautiful.

They each grabbed some torches as they walked through the ruins. Alucard took Miri's hand as they climb through a large window and entered what looked to be the main foyer. "This was your home?" Sypha asked.

"Yeah." Trevor said.

"You grew up here?"

"Yeah."

"I can not imagine what it must be like to grow up in a single place. It must've been joyful and serene." Miri said as she looked all around the room they were in. To grow up and live in a single place. Not travelling anywhere and finding a permanent home to live on for generations. That's quite the luxury.

"Mm. It was It was fine." Trevor said as he kneeled to the ground and wiped away the snow and dust, searching for the entrance for the trove. "It wasn't the worst way to grow up."

"How old were you when your family home was taken?" Alucard asked him.

"Thirteen, fourteen, something like that." Trevor said.

"You've been on your own since you were 13?" Sypha asked, rather shocked at how young he must've been.

"Maybe 12. Who remembers that sort of thing?" Trevor asked. Miri walked over to him and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Sir Belmont, I am so sorry." She said softly as her expression became crestfallen. Trevor was slightly taken aback and turned away. "Oh, please. Don't get sentimental on me, Miri. This isn't something for you to apologise for." He told her. he didn't think she had no reason to at all. He may have been, possibly 12, when he was left alone, but he strongly felt that this kind little girl had been through worse. But it seems that Miri continued to care more of his feelings instead.

"Twelve." Alucard said.

"Is there a point to these questions?" Trevor questioned him as he rose to his feet, dusting his pants.

"I'm disturbed to find that I had more of a childhood than you did." He responded.

"Sir Alucard!" Miri scolded.

"And your dad's fucking Dracula."

"Sir Belmont, honestly." She scolded him. A moment of pause befell them before they all started laughing together. As they laughed, Miri looked at each of the friends she's made. In her fifteen years of life, the young gipsy girl never thought she would befriend a Vampire Hunter, a Speaker Magician and a Vampire-Human hybrid. It was the most unusual part of her life, but Miri would never trade them for anything else. She was happy to have met them. She considered them to be the light in her world of darkness. An unlikely, but a wonderful little family.

They continued wandering through the ruins for some time, trying to find the entry to the trove. Trevor was looking through piles of rubble when he thought he saw something. He moved one of the pieces to the side and found what looked to be a doorway. Trevor quickly stood up and said, "I think this is it." His companions walked over and saw the hidden entrance for themselves. Trevor passed his torch to Sypha while he lifts the heavy debris off of it.

"Your hidden entrance looks like a hearthstone." Alucard said as he looked at the thing.

"Just help me clear it." Trevor breathed out as he threw the piece away. Alucard grabbed one of the pieces of rubble and effortlessly tossed it away with on hand. Miri said lifted her hand and closed her eyes. The rocks shook and with an elegant wave of her hand, they levitated off the ground and flew behind her. Both Trevor and Sypha just watched in annoyed/amazed silence as Alucard and Miri quickly cleared the rubble out of the way with little to no effort until the entrance was in clear view.

"Congratulations. You've just discovered a big piece of stone." Alucard said as he observes the flat stone. Odd...it didn't look like a door. Was it some kind of seal of some sort? "It's the door." Trevor told him.

"Do we lift it, or...?" Sypha asked.

Alucard gripped the edge of the stone and tried to lift it, but it wouldn't budge. It was stuck tightly. "That's odd. I don't seem to be able to get any purchase on it." The blond-haired Dhampir said.

"What are these symbols here? Or are they words?" Miri asked as she knelt, pointing at the writing that was etched onto the stone."Hmm." Sypha went as she kneeled beside her, looking at the words, her fingers tracing the writing. "Ah, I see now. You won't be able to lift it." She said.

"Well, my family got it up somehow. I was taken down there as a child." Trevor said.

"Have you observe them when they lifted it?" Miri asked.

"No. They brought me through once it was open. They told me they'd teach me how to do it one day, I suppose there was a special trick." Trevor told her.

"Were your parents magicians?" Sypha asked.

"Not as such. I mean, they knew a lot, but this door was put in by one of our ancestors." Trevor said.

"Well, I guess the special trick was passed down the generations. The way we Speakers transmit knowledge. Your parents knew the trick but didn't know where it came from or what it really was. Stand back." Sypha said. She sat in front of the entrance and placed their hands together in prayer while her companions stood behind her. Her power glowed and she placed her hands on the door. She then began to chant. "Invocatio. Mahorela. Sor. Gru. Odo. Teloch."

She rose to her feet at the same time as glowing blue feathers danced around and a large pair of angel-like wings and a small gust of wind appeared. With one flap of the wings, a burst of blue energy flowed out and the stone vanished, revealing a staircase that leads underground.

"Open sesame." Sypha said.

"That's amazing Madam Belnades." Miri said with a smile.

"Was that an Enochian word?" Alucard asked.

"Yes. I know that language." Sypha told him with a smile that held some pride.

"Well, well." Alucard said with a hint of a smirk. "Naughty Belmonts hunting all the terrible things of the forest, but sitting on a magic door opened by occult language."

"I didn't know it was a fucking magic door. Doesn't make us black magicians."  Trevor retorted as he walked down the steps.

"But you know that the word, "Teloch," means "of death," right?" Alucard asked him.

"Shut up."

"It's the magical door of death, Belmont." Alucard told him.

"Are you coming or what?" Trevor asked with much irritation as he walked deeper down the stairs. Miri let out a soft giggle as the Alucard and Sypha descend the stairs. Miri was about to follow them when she stopped and turned back to the remains of the estate. She levitated her torch and brought up her hands. White energy swirled between her palms and grew in size. It then erupted into pure white pedals and in her hands, was a small bouquet of snowdrops. She placed it on the ground and went on her knees to give a quick prayer for the souls that were taken from this home. She prayed that they were in blissful sleep and that God would give them the love and light they needed.

When she was done, Miri grabbed her torched and rushed down the steps to catch up with her friends. They all walked down and found themselves entering a large room. Naturally, it was untouched and preserved through time. It was a grand room with the Belmont family crest hung up on the walls. There was another set of stairs that lead further down and from across the room was a painting of a handsome man with hair as gold as the sun and eyes bluer than the sky. He wore white rodes and silver armour and held a mighty sword in his hand.

As they walked further down the stairs, Sypha had a thought passed by. "Belmont isn't even a Wallachian name. That just dawned on me." She said.

"No. The family's originally from the Kingdom of France. But we moved out of there a few hundred years ago." Trevor told her.

"Moved or chased?" Alucard asked with a slight smirk. Miri smiled at them while Sypha looked to be annoyed with how they were acting. "Moved, thank you very much." Trevor said.

"With people behind you waving pitchforks and torches?" Alucard questioned.

"No. No, we're professionals. We move where the work is." Trevor said.

"Migrate to where the activity transpires... What does that mean?" Miri asked with curiosity.

"All the dark things moved into the east. I think it was, uh, Leon Belmont who entered the region first." Trevor replies as they were met with a large door that held the Belmont seal. "And he built this house and dug the foundations for everything under it." Trevor had opened the door and the team entered a darkened room. They almost couldn't see much of anything but then Sypha looked up and saw that lanterns were built in the pillars and thought they could be useful. She held up her torch and used her fire magic to send balls of fire to each lantern spread across the room. Eventually, when each of the lanterns was lit, Miri, Alucard and Sypha were amazed the sight.

They have walked into a massive library that seemed to be endless with shelves filled with weapons, artefacts and books. Sculptures and the bones of the beasts and monsters they've fought. All of their weapons. All of their knowledge. All of their secrets were right here, untouched and secured, hidden away for so long. Until now.

"My God." Sypha said.

Miri's eyes were wide as she was overcome with the powerful force the room held...as well as a source of giddiness. "My goodness... The legacy of the Belmont family...and I am standing in the centre of it. I am gazing through history itself and its wonders! I never imagined I would be so blessed to bear witness to such a vast array of knowledge...!" She said exuberantly as she felt her joy overwhelm her as she began to feel a bit faint and nearly fell over if Alucard hadn't rushed in a held her steady.

Trevor smiled at the younger girl as he walked down the steps and took a glance at his family's trove. "The memory of my family. All that's left of us." He said as he trailed his hand on the wooden stairs with the others following him. "Is it organized? Is there a way to find things?" Sypha asked him.

"I imagine one sacrifices a chicken, and divines the location of the book you want from the intestines. Maybe Belmont has a crystal ball in here you could ask." Alucard said as he walked on the head while still holding on to the happily dazed Miri. "Shut up." Trevor told him as they walked down the steps.

"It's an impressive tip, Belmont. But it is, nonetheless, a tip." Alucard said. "Your ancestors were apparently mentally ill hoarders. I fully expect to find family cats mummified under some of these shelves. Unless your family preferred to eat them."

"There's an index on the lectern at the bottom." Trevor says as he walked forward, slamming his shoulder against Alucard's and taking Miri's hand in his own. Leading them down.

"So this really is a managed collection." Sypha said.

"It's the work of generations. An archive of everything we've found and learned since the days of Leon Belmont." Trevor stated as the reached ground level and walked through the trove. Alucard stopped when he spotted something. It caught his eye and walked over to it as the others walked through an aisle that held various books and potions of sort. Miri snapped out of it and shook her head. Returning to reality. She looked up and was slightly confused why Trevor was leading her by the hand but decided to ask, "What was Sir Leon Belmont doing in Wallachia?" She turned as she noticed that Alucard wasn't with and stopped when she saw him. The others stopped as well when they looked over to see the Vampire-Human hybrid standing by a large cabinet that held all kinds of Vampire skulls.

"Hunting Dracula." He said as he surveyed the skulls. Miri gazed at him with sympathetic eyes and began walking over to him, sensing a wave of disturbance and sadness from him. Trevor turned to the books on the shelves, moving his fingers along the covers and said in a sorrowful, "Here it all is, then. The last of us." He and Sypha found the lectern and as Sypha looked through the large book, Trevor took notice that one of the bookshelves, and the wall, was destroyed and behind it stood a large chest. Capturing his interest, Trevor walked towards it and as he got a closer look at the chest, his eyes lit up as a realisation came to him.

"Bloody hell. Is that what I think it is?" He asked.

"Careful, Trevor. You almost sounded excited about something." Sypha said with a teasing smile.

Trevor kicked and moved the broken boards aside as he looked at the chest before him. He had heard all about it, but he wasn't sure if it was it or not, either way, he had to open it. "It couldn't be. Could it?" He asked as he grabbed one of its hinges and dragged it out from its hiding spot, bringing it into the light towards the centre of the room. He wipes the dust away from it and took one of his throwing knives and uses it to break/force the lock off.

When he did so, the chest glowed with a bright orange light coming from inside. Shaking slightly as it expelled it a wave of energy. Cautiously, Trevor took the lid in his hands and opened it. His eyes were met with the legendary weapon. A chained whip of sliver with the tip resembling that of beautiful star. Trevor could hardly contain his excitement as he delicately took the chained whip into his hands. "Beautiful." He said to himself.

"What on earth is that ugly thing?" Sypha asked.

"I don't believe they hid it. It's the Morning Star." Trevor says with a huge smile. The Morning Star was a thing of legend. The highest form possible for the Vampire Killer whip. His family had hidden it, but now Trevor holds it in his very hands. The new proud owner of this glorious weapon.

Sypha looks through the index, reading its words and took in the knowledge it had. She smiled as she turned to Alucard and Miri were still standing by the case. "It's all here. You're right. This is quite amazing. Isn't it? It's amazing." She said. Unaware of the emotions Alucard had within him. "Charming." He almost spat out.

"You're not even a little bit impressed?" Sypha asked him.

"It's like a museum dedicated to the extermination of my people, so no. Not thrilled." Alucard said. He was greatly disturbed the number of vampire skulls kept in the library as a monument to the extermination of his species...including to what appeared to be the skull of a vampire child. Miri's expression became crestfallen as she stood beside him.

She and her people had admired the Belmonts, but she never would think that they would keep these skulls, let alone keep one of a child's. This...didn't seem right. Even though they must've had good reason to fight against some of these Vampires, they still had the right to be buried. Right? Wasn't that fair for all forms of life? In an attempt to make Alucard feel better, Miri placed her fingertips on the glass and used her magic to spawn seeds beside each skull and bloomed them into snowdrops, a small gift for each of them.

Alucard was left speechless as he watched her do all this. He gave a small smile as he knew that she was doing it for him to ease his feelings. He turned to her just as she looked up at him with a sweet smile. He reached over and gave a small pat on the head. "You have a kindness that is the envy of humanity...Thank you." He says as the two rejoined with the others.

Dracula's Castle

Back at the travelling castle, Godbrand approaches Dracula with concerns about his plan to exterminate the humans. "May I speak to you?" He asked as he stood at the doorway.

"Approach, Godbrand." Dracula said, not turning around to face him and kept his eyes on the fire.

"I have a question." He said as he walks into his study.

"Go on."

"If you kill all the humans, what are we gonna eat?" Godbrand asks him.

"What?" Dracula said as he tilted his head up.

"It's very simple, Dracula. If you kill all the humans, where does the continuing supply of human blood come from?" Godbrand asks him. He was worried that Dracula's plan will end with all the humans dead and the vampires going thirsty, mostly dying of thirst if it became any more serious. Dracula pinched the bridge of his nose and he let out a sigh. "I allow you to go on feeding raids when we change location. I have blood stored in cold canisters. There are animals in the lower levels. You won't go hungry, Godbrand." Dracula told him, assuring Godbrand that he will be taken care of.

"Not right now, no. But later. I don't want to be rationing myself on fucking pig blood." Godbrand said, walking further in the study.

"Careful." Dracula said.

"Pig blood gives me the shits. I'm sorry, but there it is." Godbrand says when he steps in front of him by the fireplace.

"You will be taken care of, Godbrand." Dracula said.

"Yes, of course. Right. Except, what if we're not? What if you just wanna kill all the humans and you don't leave us enough to keep in camps to feed from?" Godbrand asks. Dracula, feeling that his patience has been tested, rose from his seat and went over to the Viking Vampire with a cold, and evil look in his crimson eyes. "I will not be questioned by you." He said as he approached Godbrand with a frightening aura and the red-haired Vampire quickly backed away, but the Vampire King still approached. "I have told you how it will be. The humans will die. You will be taken care of. Little Godbrand. Little Vampire. Little parasite. Little boat weevil who delights in making noise and pretending he is important and dangerous. Are you going to continue questioning me? Are you going to fight me, little Godbrand?"

"No." Godbrand quickly answer.

Then why are you still here making your little noises?" Dracula asks as he got close to his face. "Get out before I slit you up the middle and bite out your heart." Seeing that this was his only window of walking out alive, Godbrand quickly ran out of the room without another word. Dracula walked over to his seat, clenching the arms of the chair before sitting down. Breathing heavily. He, too, was a Vampire. Which means he's also...getting hungry...

 

"And how is our lord and master?" Carmilla asks Godbrand out in the hallway.

"The old man has lost his mind. He's gonna kill all the humans and leave us without any livestock." He told her. "We're all gonna starve to death."

"Surely not." Carmilla says.

"I'll tell you another thing. I still wouldn't wanna try him in a straight fight, but I have a strong suspicion he hasn't fed in a while." Godbrand said.

"Why would Dracula, of all people, go without blood?" Carmilla asks him as she examines her nails.

"Because this isn't a war, Carmilla. It's a suicide. His wife's dead, and he wants to join her. And he wants to take all of us with him. We're all gonna die! All of us!" Godbrand shouted in anger as he stomps his way down the hall. "Godbrand, wait." She called out.

"I'm not gonna fuck you, Carmilla. I'm too pissed off!" Godbrand shouted.

The white-haired Vampire felt her blood boil at that. How dare this filthy pig even think she would want to lay with him?! "You stupid bastard." She said as she used her inhuman speed to rush and deliver a solid kick to Godbrand's back, sending him colliding down the spiral staircase, landing on his back with a heavy thud, and if that wasn't enough, Carmilla swooped down and harshly planted her feet on his chest. "What the hell was that for?" He groaned.

"To focus your attention." She said as she leaned down his level.

"On what? Pain?"

"On the fact that Dracula needs to take this castle to Braila. Let me tell you something." Carmilla says as she begins to recounts a story about how she was turned and lived as a Vampire to Godbrand. "I was turned centuries ago by a vampire master who said he was giving me the world. But, in time, he grew old, and cruel, and mad. And I was bound to him. Until I decided to take back my world." It was so easy... A simple noose decorated with sharp, pure glass shards and simple shove through the highest window, and his head was severed clean off his neck.

"I wasn't going to be dictated to by mad, old men any more. And then I come here to meet with the leader of our nation. And what do I find? A mad, cruel, old man. Never again, Godbrand. Never again." When she killed her sire, Carmilla vowed to never let herself to suffer to live under another man like him. She was NEVER going to lower herself like that ever again. While she had told him all this, the two Vampires failed to notice a pair of glowing serpents eyes spying on them. Once it had heard enough, it quickly slithered back to its master. Going through the complex castle until it reached a familiar ford. It slithered passed a pair of tiny legs before wrapping itself around its master's arm.

Leonora raised the snake close and both of their eyes glowed emerald green as the snake reported what it had heard and witnessed to her. Once gaining this new piece of information, Leonora's eyes widened in shock as she let out a small gasp. Her snake disappeared and she felt her heart tremble.

"I knew it...I thought I had sensed something wrong with her..." Leonora whispered to herself. Silvanus looked up at his mother with confused eyes and let out small noises as if to ask what was wrong. His unspoke questioned was voiced by Hector, who walked up from behind and wrapped his arms around her. "Why are you suddenly mumbling to yourself? Is something wrong?" He asked. Leonora turned her head and greeted with a smile. She let out a small laugh as she said, "Haha, no. Nothing at all. I was thinking aloud, that's all."

Leonora turned around and embraced him. Hiding her expression of fear and worry from him. She sensed that something terrible was going to happen and she knew that Dracula wouldn't listen to her concerns without any sign of proof and no one would believe her. Hector might, but he'll say that she was over-worrying herself. If Carmilla was planning something like she thinks she was, then Leonora must do what she can to stop her. By herself, if need be.

Chapter 12: Betrayal in the Council part 1

Chapter Text

In one of the many rooms of the Castle, Godbrand sat in a chair, kicked up his legs on the table as he sleeps in the cellar that was fully stocked with barrels of blood, no doubt. In his sleep, Godbrand begins to dream about his days of the past. About the time where he hunted humans in the snowy mountains. He loved those time. It gave him a thrill unlike any other. Where he hunted them down one by one. He didn't care for torture, he just wanted them dead. Laughing as they would scream and pathetically try to defend themselves against him.

Such poor, sad, pathetic humans... To an extent, Godbrand often wonders how they were able to survive so long. They weren't as strong or as powerful as a Vampire and there were so many unique ways to take their life. His favourite methods of killing were slicing their heads right off their shoulders or outright stabbing them at the top of their heads, seeing their brain matter spill into the snow was a bonus. But you see, Dracula was not wrong about him.

Godbrand imagines himself as being a brutally strong warrior that others bow down to in respect of his might. In truth, he will brashly state his desires but will quickly bow down and become deferential when faced with power or authority. Godbrand only lives up to his delusions of grandeur when hunting humans being they are physically weaker than himself. A little Vampire. And a little parasite that doesn't know it's place.

Godbrand soon wakes up from his dream and spread a wide grin. Laughing. "Ah, blood! I've dreamed of my legendary life, and now I am thirsty. Fuck your eyes, man, bring me blood and beer!" He demands of the silent Vampiric servants as he slams his fist on the table. The two of them looked behind them and another of the servants appeared holding a pig in his arms, snorting cutely. Upon seeing the animal, Godbrand was deeply disappointed.

"Oh, no, no. Th-that's not fair. Damn it all." He says as he leans back in his seat. "That bloody woman is right. Something must be done."

*Meanwhile at the Belmont estate*

Our merry band of heroes continued through with their search through the massive library, searching for anything that would give them some advantage either on Dracula or his castle. While searching, Trevor came across a curtain and pulls it to the side, revealing a mirror behind it. It appeared beautiful but the glass was broken. Not shattered thankfully, but it looked like someone had punched the mirror twice.

"What the hell is this?" Trevor questioned.

"You don't know?" Sypha asked him as she and Miri looked over at him.

"I don't know." He said.

"This is your house." The short-haired woman said as she and the gipsy girl walked towards the mirror. "It...is a bit unusual not to be knowledgeable of what lies in a home. Ah, I-I mean no offence, Sir Belmont." Miri said as Trevor wipes away some dust off the mirror so that they could get a clearer view. "Do you know everything in your house?" He asks the Speaker with a cheeky grin and crossed his arms when he steps to the side and allowed Sypha to look at the mirror.

"I don't have a house." She told him.

"She doesn't have a house." Alucard said. The others looked up and saw that he was reading a book on top of the high bookshelf. His long sword resting on his shoulder. "She's a Speaker. She's a nomad." Alucard said as he turned to look at the hunter with a smile.

"It was rhetorical." Trevor said while Alucard jumped down from the bookshelf and landing perfectly on his feet. "Rhetorical house that she doesn't have." The Dhampir said as he walked over to the mirror.

"Just tell me what it is." Trevor said.

"It was a magic mirror." Sypha replied.

"Also known as Distance Mirrors. Some of them even allowed matter to pass through them, but..." Alucard said as he examines it. Tracing his hand along with the carving on the pole. He lets out a sigh. "No. No, this is a simple remote-viewing mirror. A little of the activating language is chipped. A few of the runes need re-cutting but workable. You have a fascinating family junkyard, Belmont." He said, turning to the last Hunter.

"You are a cock wart, Alucard." Trevor said as he points his finger at him. Miri looked in between the two men and let out a small giggle. The way men often bond can be rather humorous, even though she doesn't understand most of the time. Though while Miri found it humorous, Sypha did not. Not in the slightest. "Stop it." A fed-up Sypha says as she tugs on Trevor's arm and drags him to the side. She then pulls him to a vertical end to the bookshelf.

"You are an adult. You do not have to rise to his every barb." Sypha tells him.

"He's pissing me off like it's his job, Sypha." Trevor said.

"Grow up, Trevor." The Speaker scolded him as the hunter crossed his arms and looked away in annoyance. Taking a peek at Alucard and Miri. Sypha was about to scold him again when a thought went past her. "Why is your name Trevor, anyway?" She suddenly asked.

"I'm sorry?"

"I understand the Belmont now. But "Trevor" doesn't sound very local either." She told him.

"Oh. Well, so the story goes, a Celt rode out here with Leon back in the day, and his name was Trefor, with an F." Trevor explained to her.

"Trefor." Sypha mused, leaning against his shoulder before chuckling. "I like that."

"Oh, it's terrible." Trevor sighed out.

"Treff. ....Treffy?" She questioned.

"Oh, my God, no." Trevor quickly said with a slight blush.

"You are Treffy now." Sypha teased.

"Don't." Trevor said before Sypha bursts out laughing. Shortly afterwards, Trevor joins in as well while Alucard looks at them from behind while examining the broken mirror. He raised an eyebrow while Miri looked satisfied. "I'm happy those two are getting along. I was worried they wouldn't become friends." She says with a bright smile as she turns to the Dhampir. "I'm even more so that you and he are."

"Pardon?" Alucard asked, looking over to her. What was she talking about? Miri tilted her head in confusion before smiling again. "You and Sir Belmont. You two have been getting along since we departed from Gresit. It makes me happy, that's all." Alucard looked at her before letting out a chuckle. "Really? Is that what you believe?" He said beginning to walk away.

"Of course." Miri said with confidence as she hurried to walk beside him. "I've witnessed it before. Boys and Men alike, they may seem to appear to dislike each other and verbally spar at each other, but in reality, it's merely the way they established a friendship. "

Alucard shook his head in amusement as he smiled down at her. "You've witnessed it...does that include your people as well?" He asked. Miri nodded. "Oh certainly. For as long as I can remember, we're all always taught to mind our manners and be as respectful as we possibly can be to whomever we come across. However, there were a few occasions where some tend to forget. But it was alright."

"So unless Belmont and I begin tearing each other apart, it's perfectly fine then." Alucard said.

"Yes. But...please don't go that far." Miri told him.

*Back at Dracula's castle*

Leonora tucked the exhausted Silvanus into his comfy makeshift bed. He wanted to go outside and see the snow dance in the wind and his mother couldn't deny him of sight as she never let him go outside when the snow fell. He smiled and laughed as he played as much as he could from the outdoor halls. Eventually, he had grown tired and was getting sleepy.

While gently brushing the bangs away from his face, Leonora looks out the window, watching in silence at the snow that dances in the wind. She had mixed feelings about the cold season. On the one hand, it was beautiful and calming. Beautiful because she's reminded her of her former teacher Mercy and that sweet little girl who held the power to wield the winter.

On the other, it's coldness and harsh weather brought some painful memories. The night where she and her people were attacked was on a night just like this. To say it was nightmarish would be an understatement. Leonora lost her family, her husband...her entire clan. She considered it to be a grace of God that she was able to get out of that alive with her baby. Barely. Leonora believed that she and her child would've died somewhere on the road if he hadn't stopped by.

She smiled when she thought of Hector. He was a bit cold towards them at first, but she understood his feelings when he told her what happened to him. Still, that didn't matter, because later down the road those bitter feelings disappeared and Hector was able to welcome her and Silvanus with warm, open arms. Leonora was well-aware of his childlike naivety, but that gives her more knowledge about his kind and innocent soul deep inside. Neither of them hadn't exactly said it outright, but both knew they couldn't deny the attraction they felt towards each other. Which is why-

"Hector...!" Leonora suddenly said when she snapped her head up. She looked around the forge and panicked when she realised that Hector wasn't in the forge. Where did he go? He was here a few minutes ago. Was he with Dracula? No, no. That wasn't it. She doesn't sense him there. Perhaps he's with the rest of the council? No, she didn't sense him there, either. .....No. He can't be... Leonora created a small herd of emerald snakes and unleashed them throughout the castle. Please...please don't let him be with her. Using her snakes' eyes Leonora searched through the castle and her heart stopped when she spotted Hector walking up the higher floors of the castle with none other than Carmilla.

Fearing of what will happen to him, Leonora quickly placed a barrier around her sleeping son and rushed out of the forge to get to Hector. Leonora could never deny the attraction she felt towards Hector. For he held a special place in her heart. He...saved her. Which is why Leonora swore to herself to always protect him.

"But Dracula respects my skills. And the human world cast me out long ago. Why would I go against his wishes?" Hector asks Carmilla as they walked outside. He wasn't sure why he was even having this conversation with her to begin with. He was loyal to Dracula, so going against his wishing was unthinkable. However, Carmilla continues to try and recruit Hector to her side, pointing out that Dracula appears to be losing his sanity.

"Dracula has failed his own people. He believes that he fell in love with a human woman. He took a pet. You see that, don't you?" Carmilla says to him.

"I believe he loved her. He is capable of love. That's the source of his conviction." Hector told her, quick to defend his Master.

"If you love something, you act to keep it with you for as long as you can. Instead, he allowed her to be killed by other humans." Carmilla said.

"He wasn't there." Hector said as the chill of the wind blew over. He blows into his hands as he tried to get warm.

"He wasn't, no. He was travelling, like a human, at her whim. Not once did he move to protect her. Not once did he consider making her a vampire and bringing her into our community. You are loyal to Dracula and the night world, aren't you? You would have protected her." Carmilla said, bringing up some good points. Her last statement made Hector pause for a moment before confidently and firmly said, "Of course I would have." Hector would've protected Lisa in a heartbeat if he had full knowledge of what would've happened. He would go out there and save her from the humans if he had just known. After all, he would do the very same for either Leonora or Silvanus.

"Of course you would." Carmilla says as she follows the Forgemaster down the pathway. "But, on some level, he considers us less important than the brief life of a mistreated pet. Does that sound sane to you?"

"It sounds...confused." Hector says, hesitantly as he reenters the castle, heading back to his workplace with Carmilla following close behind him. Burrowing her words into his head. "And now he has taken us to war. Should this war be prosecuted by a confused man?" She asks.

"I-I don't know." He said.

"Has it occurred to you that you yourself, a loyal servant of the night world, a prized asset in our lives and wars, are in fact, next to die?" Carmilla questioned.

"What?" Hector asked in shock as he looks up at her while they descend the spiralling staircase.

"You're human, Hector. You and your...'family' are human. You threw in your lot with us because it was your path to greatness and joy." Carmilla said as Hector gave a cold stare as he makes his way down walked through the hallway towards his forge. Leonora burst through the doors and searched for Hector. 'He's not out here...' Leonora thought to herself as she ran.

"But your loyalty counts for nothing when a man who has decreed death to all humans, yet would not make his love a Vampire, rampages across the face of the earth in mad fury. I ask you again, does that sound sane to you?"

"He promised me that this would be a cull." Hector told her. "That humans would be reduced in numbers and controlled."

"He is Dracula, Hector. Why would he tell the truth to a human? Even you?" She questions as she walked over and placed a hand on his shoulder. Hector let out a sigh and simply says, "I just want to do my work, Carmilla. I love my work." With that, he brushes off her hand and tries to just leave things at that. But the female Vampire didn't want that.

"I know you do. And I have a way of ensuring you will continue to do it. You just have to answer one question for me." She says as she follows him to the entryway of his forge.

"And what's that?" Hector asks irritatedly as he clenches his fist.

"Are you prepared to abandon Dracula to win the war?" She asks.

Hector swiftly turns to Carmilla in absolute shock, then in anger, and grabs her by the wrist and hastily pulls her inside the room. "You don't say something like that out loud in this place." He said in a quiet yell.

"What matters more?" Carmilla angrily asks as she wrests her arm back. "Wiping the earth of the humans you hate and submitting to your own death, or coddling a broken old man? The Castle must land at Braila, Hector."

"Why?" He questioned.

"Because I wish it. The Castle lands in Braila, by the river. Dracula's loyal forces will leave the castle to take the town." Carmilla says as she walks up to lift Hector's head with her long, slender fingers. "My own forces will take the castle and unseat Dracula. Saving you and your family's life. Going forward to control and surround the human race. The woman and the child will never have to feel fear again. That is what you want...isn't it?"

Hector was left in silence. Taking in everything she said into consideration. What she said...made sense... But...Dracula had made a promise to him that the human race would be controlled and maintained as livestock. He wouldn't...he wouldn't have him be killed as well, would he? If he were to be killed, then what would happen to Leonora and little Silvanus? What would happen to them..? Would they be killed as well? No... No, he can't let that happen! Hector swore to protect them! They were his entire world, the only real family he has in this ugly and hateful world. If what Carmilla says is true...then maybe...

Hector's pale blue-green eyes looked over to the sleeping toddler in the corner. He didn't see Leonora but figured that she went to find some blankets for him. Hector lets out a sigh. The safety of his family is his top priority. "Dracula is powerful. Your forces alone may not be enough." He said.

Carmilla placed her hand on his cheek and spread a smile. "You're right. Brilliant Hector. They may not be. Which is why you must do something for me." She says she diverts their attention to the pile of corpses. Just as Carmilla was about to explain want she wants, a hand shot out and forcibly removed Carmilla away from the Forgemaster. The two were a bit stunned when they saw Leonora beside them. The look in her golden-green eyes was unreadable, but they held a twinge of anger.

"Leonora-." Hector began.

"What do you think you were doing?" Leonora, calmly, said to the white-haired Vampire. Her voice was steady and cool, but she tightens her grip on Carmilla's wrist. Almost hurting her. She and the gipsy woman had a bit of a staredown between each other, waiting to see if the other will make sudden movements. Carmilla then turned to face her as she said, "Nothing. Nothing at all. Hector and I were just talking, weren't we?"

Leonora turned to Hector, but still held her grip and the silver-grey haired man softly said, "She's right.  We were just discussing what the next plan should be. It's nothing to be concern about." The gipsy woman gave Carmilla one more icy stare before letting her go. "Very well. If that's all there was, then may I suggest you leave us be for tonight?"

"Of course." Carmilla says with a slight bow before walking away. When she left the room, Leonora quickly went over to Hector and immediately began checking for any wounds or bite marks that woman must've given him. "L-Leo-! Leonora, what are you doing?" He asked as she lifted his head and examined his neck. "What did she do? Did she hurt you at all?" She asked as she gently cupped his cheeks. Hector reached up to hold her hands and smiled at her. "Of course not. I'm alright. She didn't do anything to me." Hector smiled, but then faded when he saw tears beginning to form in her eyes.

"Nora...What's gotten you so upset?" He asked. Leonora choked back a sob as she crashes into his arms. She started to cry as she held him tightly in her arms. Hector was confused by her sudden actions but wrapped his arms around her, trying to comfort her. "Leonora, please tell me what's wrong? What's making you cry like this?" He asked. But all Leonora did was shake her head and leaned against him. Carmilla was a liar. Something did happen. She could see it in her eyes and she felt a change in Hector's heart. This is was getting worse. Leonora had to let someone know.

 

*1475*

In the dead of the night, Dracula visits Isaac in his isolated home. A large castle-like home that appeared to be in the middle of nowhere. As Dracula steps into the home, a small sound fell to the sandy ground, causing him to pause. "I heard you moving across the sand." A voice said behind him.

Dracula gave a ghost of a smile as he turned to say, "That's very good, Isaac. Most people can't hear me moving at all."

"There's nothing out here but the sand." Isaac said as he wraps up his whip. "And even the wolves don't come close to my little home. What brings you out here?"

"You." Dracula said. He came here to recruit Isaac to create an army for him.

"You have need of my work." Isaac stated.

"Invite me across your threshold, Isaac." Dracula said. Isaac happily obliges and invites Dracula into his home and guides to one of the many rooms for them to talk. "Do you remember how we first met, Isaac?" Dracula asks.

"That would be difficult to forget." Isaac says as he pours himself a cup of water.

"Say the words. So I know you are still my friend." Dracula tells him as he raises his hand to stop Isaac from pouring him a cup. Isaac sets down the pitcher and takes his cup into his hands as he recounts the day were he and Dracula had first met. Isaac knew it a day he would never forget. He couldn't, even if he tried.

"I was being hunted by brigand magicians who wanted to kill me, cut me up and sell my parts to other magicians. Someone like me is, in parts of the world, a rich supply of ingredients for potions, spells and even aphrodisiacs." Isaac said as he looked up at the Vampire king. "And you saved me."

"I did." Dracula said.

"The only person in the world who ever lifted a hand to protect me from anything. And he was not a human." Isaac said.

"You are still my friend." Dracula stated.

"I am." Isaac assured him. No matter what, Isaac will always be his friend. Loyal and reliable.

"I do have need of your work. The human race has betrayed me for one final time, and they must be punished." Dracula tells him.

"War, then? You need an army of the night?" Isaac asked.

"You sound suspicious." Dracula said.

"You're not human. Your passions are rare and pure. "War" sounds like a small thing, for you. It's the word you choose, but it's not what you mean." Isaac says.

"No. I mean to end the human race." Dracula said.

"And you want my help to do it." The broken, near-emotionless man said.

"Yes."

"Even though I'm a human being."

"Yes."

"Do you remember my first words to you?"  Isaac asked him.

"Yes."

"Indulge me, Master Dracula. So that I may know you are still my friend." Isaac said, retelling his words back at him.

"You said, "I have no fear of death. It always sounded peaceful to me."" Dracula tells him.

Isaac smiled at his master and replied, "I will be loyal to the end. And beyond. Let us begin."

 

Dracula's Castle, 1476

Within the sables, demonic horses neighing as Godbrand and several others of Dracula's generals enter with the red-haired Viking leading the way.

"Drinking fucking pig blood? Fuck no! We are the generals of the court of Vlad Dracula Tepes, and we deserve a proper fucking drink!" Godbrand shouts as he picks up a saddle and began suiting up one of the horses. "The maps say there's a town 20 miles away from here. They will never see us coming, and fuck them if they do. Tonight, we feed." The rest of the generals hopped on their horses as well and rode off into the night with Godbrand taking charge to raid to a nearby human village to feed. Riding demonic horses, they set out to slaughter the village.

In his study, Dracula removes a black cloth off of the hundreds of floating glass shards. He draws a symbol on one with his sharp claw-like nail. In an instant, the shards moved and assembled into a solid, oval mirror wall. Dracula then wrote a passage in an old, ancient language and the words vanished, its magic had given the Vampire King a peaceful view of a sunny, peaceful part of a forest. He let out a breath as he picked up the cloth and tossed it into the magic mirror. The cloth went right through and landed in the forest.

He stared into the mirror before leaving and walked through the hall. Passing by two servants who immediately stepped out of his way. He walked passed by Hector's forge, stopping for a moment as he listens to him work. But he didn't make any attempts to get his attention. Instead, he walks on ahead and goes to Isaac forge. Finding the man reading from a scroll.

"Isaac. I feel like the tone of the war hall is turning against me. Even Hector looks at me as if he no longer knows me." Dracula says, confiding in him.

"I have respect for Hector. But he is a gentle soul. He's still a little boy. Probably the same little boy who didn't understand why he was beaten for keeping pets." Isaac says, having a slight understanding for his fellow Forgemaster.

Dracula lets out a chuckle. "Well, his pets were reanimated dead animals. One can understand any parent's discomfort with a dead cat doing a dance in the living room." He says as he took a seat next to him.

"He really only wants pets, you see? He really only understands pets." Isaac tells him. "That's how he perceives your war. To cull humans back to a small population and then keep them in pens, he understands that."

"That is partly my fault. He's a child in a man's body. That does make him easy to lie to." Dracula says with a saddened look on his face. Admitting to Isaac that he misled Hector about his plan for the humans, allowing Hector to believe that there would be a cull and control. He'd be a liar if he said he didn't feel guilty when misleading him. Even more so when he thinks to the main reason he agreed to all this. Dracula's expression became crestfallen when he thought of Leonora and her child. They were so kind and innocent...they reminded him too much of his beloved Lisa.

"You are Dracula. No one has a right to your true beliefs." Isaac tells him.

"Not even you?" He asks.

"Not even me." Isaac says. "You've given me purpose and treated me with respect. A lie wouldn't change that. You are unique. You don't owe anybody anything."

"You, Isaac, are the only one I've told the truth to. Because I believe you are the only one who grasps the necessity of it all." Dracula tells him.

"You rarely come to my working place. How can I be of service to you, Master Dracula?" Isaac asks.

"Are you still my friend?" He questioned.

"Always."

"Then know that you may be alone."

Chapter 13: Betrayal in the Council part 2

Chapter Text

Play this when you reach the notice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=syeuhiGJIRs&feature=emb_title

 

In a small, humble village, it was still and quiet. Not a soul walked through its snowy streets. The people rested in their homes. Warm, asleep in their beds or staying up to finish some work that needed to be done. It was relatively peaceful in their village. However, so long as there is darkness in the world, there will always be something to take that sense of peace away. For the creatures of the night have begun to get hungry. Godbrand leads the generals in through the forest and into the village, laughing maniacally as he playfully chooses which house to feast upon. Once making his decision, he and his horse burst through its wall. Scaring the brother and sister from their sleep.

They stared in shock as Godbrand laughs at them. Without giving either of them a chance to scream or to make a move to run, Godbrand leapt from his horse and murdered the young man. In an instant. He didn't make a sound and Godbrand feasted on his blood and flesh. His sister couldn't make a sound either even when blood was splattered on her face. She could only stare in fear. Petrified as she shook uncontrollably as Godbrand rose from her brother's bed and turned to her. His face was covered in blood and held a piece of flesh between his teeth.

It wasn't any better outside. It was hell on earth for the villagers as they ran through the streets, trying to get away from the monsters that came for them. One general rode on his horse as he used his spear to cut the villagers in half. One elderly man tried to run away but he was easily caught by one general who had grabbed him by his head. The general lifting him up and took a bite out of his neck. Blood spilt out as the man's head hung with nothing but a thread. It didn't matter how far they get. Humans without the strength or power to fight back, they'll always be found. They'll always be found. And they'll always be killed.

A female Vampire used her inhuman speed to slit the throat of a woman with her blades. Once her prey fell to the ground, she quickly stabbed a man in the back before then flinging him to the wall of a nearby house. The force she used was enough to his body to be obliterated on impact, splattering his entire body on the wall. She then went back to her first victim and grabbed her neck. Due to the initial attack, the woman's head simply rolled off, giving the Vampire plenty of room to drink her blood.

One Vampire, an expert with swords, jumped across the roof of the house and effortlessly cut down the humans in his wake. The humans were all brutally killed. Sliced apart. Had their throats ripped out. Their bodies obliterated. Trampled to death by their horses. Their screams were left unheard by the night. The night wanted them to suffer as much as they can before being silenced. No one in the village got out alive. Young, old. Man, woman, child? They were all mercilessly slaughtered. To the generals, it wasn't anything personal. They were just hungry. The humans were food. Practically livestock to them. Surely they'd understand, right? If not, well, that's no concern to those who are superior to them. Now is it?


*At the Belmont Estate*

Trevor sat alone near the broken mirror with only a single candle lighting the darkened corner. He tugged at the blanket around his shoulders as he glanced over Miri taking out several books from a shelf around the corner. He narrowed his eyes as she lets out a yawn and nearly stumbled in her steps when turned around.

Thud

"Ow!" Miri went as she rubbed her forehead. Trevor sighed her. The kid had unintentionally walked right into the next bookshelf. He knew it. He knew he should've more strict when telling her to get some sleep, but no. Instead, Miri found him this blanket and kindly told him to get some sleep while she worked hard to get some more information. Now here she was, clearly exhausting her energy with bags forming under her eyes and is one step from collapsing. "That kid..." Trevor mumbles under his breath as he watched Miri disappear from around the corner. He swears if he hears her bang her head against the shelves or hears her trip on something, Trevor was going to stomp his way over and-.

He paused when he noticed Sypha standing at the near the end of the walkway. She looked to be in some kind of daze. "Are you okay?" He asked.

"Tired." She told him.

"Sleep, then." He said.

"A bit lonely." She said. Trevor stayed quiet for a moment, taking in the tone of Sypha's voice before opening-up his blanket. "My dusty old sheet is big enough for two. And nobody was ever lonely in this house." He said, offering room under his blanket for her. Sypha smiled at him as she walked over and sat down beside him, letting him wrap the other end of the blanket for her. "Thank you." She said before looking around. "Is Miri asleep somewhere?"

"No. I've tried getting her to get some rest but all she did was give me this blanket, smile at me the way she usually does and told me that she would keep on searching. That...simple-minded little girl..." Trevor said as he lets out a sigh. "I've only known her for a few days and yet I've already got a grasp of her personality. It doesn't matter what or when it is, Miri is far too kind for her own good."

Sypha smiled at that as she too began to think of her. Then Trevor asks her, "Is Alucard asleep?"

"He says he's slept enough. He's still poking around your family's things with a look of faint disgust." Sypha told him. "Heh." Trevor laughed.

"It's lonely even when you're standing next to him. It's strange." She said.

"How so?" Trevor asked.

Alucard stood in the centre of the library, reading through the index by himself. Alucard couldn't sleep, he didn't feel like it, nor was he tired. He paused when looked up and saw Miri walking by carrying several books in her arms. Odd, shouldn't she be asleep by now? He was about to call out to her when she turned to enter another aisle and his eyes widen as she banged her head against the shelf. Making her fall back and sending the books colliding to the floor. "Ow..." Miri said as she rubbed her forehead. She let out a yawn as she turned her attention to the books she dropped. As she reached out to pick them up, she was slightly startled when a gloved hand covered her own. She looked up and saw Alucard kneeling beside her.

"I'm not sure. He's intelligent, sometimes even witty, in his way. And he's certainly half-human. More than half-human. He's a person in his own right. But it's like he's a cold spot in the room. It's not like Miri's or your sadness." Sypha says as she turned to Trevor.

"I'm not sad." Trevor said, surprised that she thinks he is.

"Yes, you are." Sypha insisted. "But I can shout at you, or tease you, and get a reaction that lets me know you're still in there. Miri's sadness...it's silent and kept hidden. I know this because it's the same as Pyramus. Neither of them shows their sadness easily, but they try to smile and be kind to others because they don't want to worry them. As if they think it would be a burden on others if they knew. Miri is more focused on the feelings and well-being of others than her own. It amazes me how kind and generous she is despite the ordeal she has lived through all alone. But Alucard's sadness is like an icy well. It's bottomless and it swallows up your voice and anything you try to drop into it."

"Am I really sad?" Trevor asked her. "All the time." Sypha responds as she leans against his shoulder. "You don't even notice it now. It's just how you are. And then, sometimes you'll tell me nobody's ever lonely in your house, and offer me your stinky blanket." Trevor chuckled at that. "In all honesty, that stink might not be my blanket." He said but then noticed that Sypha had fallen asleep on his shoulder if her soft snores have any meaning.

*Play music*

"I'm so sorry, have I disrupted you?" Miri said, her face bright red with embarrassment as she held the books in her hands, taking a small step back from Alucard. "You're exhausted. Why aren't you resting?" He asked her.

"Sir Belmont have requested me the same thought...I'm happy if he and Madam Belnades are asleep, but...I-I think it wouldn't be very fair if all of us sleep while you continue to explore." Miri told him. "So you're trying to stay awake to keep me company?" Alucard asked. Miri gave a silent nod as she quickly grabs her hood and pulls it over to try and hide her redded face. "Yes, i-if that doesn't bother you."

"Not at all." He said as he leads her to back to the lector and Miri sat on the floor with her back against the wooden post. Reading the books while Alucard looks through the index. After several minutes reading in silence, Alucard looked over at the younger girl and asked, "Where was your family from? Do you remember?" Miri lifted her head in confusion and tried to think. Hmm...

"Ah, yes. My grandfather had told me that our clan originated from Romania before migrating to here." She told him.

"Giving who you were, did you leave on your own accord or were you forced?"

"A little of both, I'm afraid. We were no longer wanted in our home but we had managed to leave before anything were to happen. The days travelling on the road was more fun from what I was told. It was the days that we felt free and at peace." Miri said with a small laugh.

Hearing her laugh made Alucard wonder. Why? Why does she always find a reason to smile or laugh? The world had taken many things from her, but she's still able to smile. He closed the book and sat next to her. "You seem to smile a lot." He said.

"I'm sorry, does it bother you?" Miri asked him with worry. She hoped she wasn't making him too uncomfortable. Alucard turned to her and waved his hand. "No, no. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. It... It astounds me that a person as young as you are, to have been dealt unimaginable suffering, to still be able to smile. I'm worried that you might be lying to yourself."

Miri took in his words and then shook her head. "No, it's nothing like that. The night when it happened was the most horrific, nightmarish experience that no child should go through. I was only ten years of age and I was afraid. The last thing I could remember was my parents telling me how much they loved me and their wish for me to keep on living. Five years had since passed and I've dried my tears since then. I had time to comes to terms that I may be the last one of my clan." Miri said. Touching her father's pendant before lifting her head just a bit for Alucard to see her smile at him.

"But then, the prayers I've sent to God have been answered. So many good things have appeared themselves to me. I've been found by Sir Belmont, through him I have found a brother of my clan, found the courage to change my fate, and gain a small family in him, Madam Belnades and in you, Sir Alucard." She said. "I'm able to smile because I now have hope. I cannot cry and be bitter when I know the light will always exist in the dark."

Alucard gave a small laugh. "How can a small girl like you be so strong?"

"I'm not sure. But I think that's something we gain with time. Sir Alucard, I know you haven't been able to show it, but I've sensed the deep sadness in your heart. I know it is never easy but if you ever wish to speak, I'm here to listen." Miri told him, looking up at Alucard and smiling warmly. "Thank you..." Alucard smiled back. It was then that Miri looked down and stared at the massive scar on his chest. The skin of his was the same shade of ivory as the rest of him. It was almost ethereal in a way, especially when you contrasted the reddish scar that stood out. Miri stared at the scar with sympathetic eyes. She recalled that Alucard had tried to stop his father from committing mass genocide, and that scar was the result. It was fairly obvious that Alucard's scar would have been fatal if he was a normal man.

She didn't even think about it. She reaches over to touch the scar on his body. Even in a relaxed state, Miri could feel the power underneath that deceptively delicate-looking skin. There was a lot of muscle. It was sleek and coiled, reminding her of a cobra waiting to strike. Alucard didn't know what he really expected. Nothing really, but he definitely did not expect Miri to touch his scar.

"Mmm," He murmurs, without realizing it. "Oh, I-I'm s-sorry. I shouldn't have touched your scars without asking." Miri stammers, having caught his murmur, quickly pulling away. Her face began a hot pink colour. "No, it's fine Miri. If I had an issue with it, I would have let you know. I just didn't expect it, that's all." Alucard finds himself saying.

"O-oh, alright." The young gipsy girl says. "Did it hurt? When your father struck you?" Miri asked him gently. Alucard thought back to the night where he begged his father to not go through with his psychotic plans. Trying to convince him to only kill the man who was responsible for his mother's death and leave the million innocent lives like her alone. Of course, his father was far too gone to listen to reason.

"It did. But...it's been over and done with." He said. For a year, Alucard had used his scar as some sort of reminder at how far his father had fallen and his own weakness and guilt for not doing enough to aid his father. Not doing more than he should do stop him from going as far as he did. Though he grew numb to the pain it initially had, it was different with Miri. Her fingertips ghosted over the scar so gently. She wasn't seeking to cause him pain. Her soft touch was just exploring, curious. It felt...nice. Alucard was sure he could recall the times when his dear mother had been this gentle with him.

"I'm sorry." Miri told him as she reached down to hold his hand. Alucard smiled at her before shaking his head. Then his smile faded as he reached out to pull down her hood and seeing her face in full view. Miri blinked in confusion as he placed a hand on her cheek. Alucard's golden eyes looked deep into her silver-lavender ones. She was beautiful, sweet, caring...a gentle being among the destruction of humanity.

"Sir Alucard? What are you...?" She started to say. Miri's eyes widens when Alucard began to lean in closer. She tightly gripped her dress as he puts his face very close to hers. She could hear her heart pound within her chest. What as he doing? Why was he suddenly so close to her? She almost jumped when she felt his breath on her lips.

Miri didn't know what was happening or why this was happening, but she didn't sense anything wrong from Alucard and it doesn't seem he wasn't trying to hurt her. Miri slowly relaxes and slowly closes her eyes when Alucard was about an inch from her face. Then Alucard pulled away. And Miri opened her eyes in confusion. "Sir Alucard?" She softly said. Alucard held his head as he said, "Forgive me, I don't know what came over me. Are you okay?"

Miri nods her head as she reassured him, "Of course. I'm alright. Are...are you okay?"

"Yes, I'm fine." Alucard said as he stood up. Offering Miri's his hand. The gipsy girl gladly took it and the two went back into exploring the library, all the while Alucard was left beside himself with confusion. He questions what exactly came over him and what he was going to do if he didn't snap out of it. He reached up to his chest and flatten his palm over where his heart, his fast-beating heart was. 'What was this feeling... this feeling of excitement yet confusion?' Alucard thought to himself.

The two of them went back to exploring the rest of the library before eventually, Alucard took off his jacket and placing it over Miri as she slept peacefully. The girl had finally given in to her exhaustion and had fallen asleep a few moments ago. A heavy sigh escaped his lips as he gazes upon Miri's sleeping form, he blinked staring at her, he couldn't look away. Alucard felt like he was hypnotised as he stared at the young girl, he examined her facial features closely. Her eyelashes were curved and long, her lips were bright pink and plump, her long, braided hair fell over her shoulders...she was beautiful.

"Honestly..." Alucard muttered to himself.

*Dracula's Castle*

In Isaac's forge, the Forgemaster was back at whipping his back, cleansing his body as he usually does when his self-discipline was interrupted by a fearful, gentle voice. "Sir Isaac. Sir Isaac!" He turned his head and saw an emerald snake slithering towards him. The dark-skinned man recognised the voice to be Leonora and was slightly confused to why she was communicating with him through a snake. "Leonora? What's the matter?" He asked once he registered the fear in her tone. Like with Hector, Isaac has respect for the gipsy woman as she too treated him with kindness so he was concerned as to why she would come to him like this.

"I deeply apologise for arriving like this but I'm too scared to make any movements at the moment. As I'm almost certain you are aware, there's something wicked going on within Lord Dracula's court." She told him.

"I am aware. Master Dracula had informed me about the potential corruption within it." Isaac said. This was beginning to unnerve him now. First Dracula and now Leonora. He remained calm but inside rage swirled as the thought of someone actually betraying his lord and master was unforgivable.

"There is, but there's more to it than that. Betrayal is seeping through the walls of the castle and I know who's causing all this. Please, you must help me...it's-." Leonora says before footsteps echoed in the distance and it scared Leonora so much, the snake visibly shook as the sounds got closer. "No...no..." She whispered before the snake quickly slithered away, vanishing altogether as Godbrand enters the forge, returning from the slaughter of the village. To make things seem normal, Isaac remains neutral and goes back to his whipping.

"I wish you would stop doing that. It's sick." Godbrand says as he walks over to the Forgemaster.

"The body is sick. It must be purged. It must be focused. This is holy work." Isaac says as he grips the whip tightly in his hand.

"How did Dracula draft you into his service, I wonder?" Godbrand questions as he begins to wander around.

"I make purity from human corruption. Human corruption is a stain on the world. It was a simple choice." He told him.

"Well, talking about choices. Carmilla is making a lot of sense to me." Godbrand says, catching Isaac's attention.

"In what way?" He asks.

"There's no plan. Dracula doesn't act on our recommendations. He barely listens to you and Hector. We're just thrashing around the country randomly." Godbrand pointed out to him.

"There is an intent." Isaac says. "We don't need strict battle plans. We simply follow his intent."

"We didn't need to hit Gresit right away, you know. And we should have been made aware that Alucard was under the bloody city." Godbrand said, angry that they were not told that Alucard slept under Gresit.

"Alucard is nothing. A spoiled child." Isaac said, his grip growing tighter.

"Alucard knows almost as much as Dracula himself and is almost as strong. And, it turns out, violently opposed to the war because his human mother wouldn't have wanted it or some shit. I'm saying, it may be time for the old man to sit in his study and let the rest of us take care of this for him." The red-haired Vampire said, suggesting that they take control of the war away from Dracula. "Do it right. Set up livestock pens and pursue the war properly. Without him."

"You would betray Dracula?" Isaac coldly questioned him.

"It's not betrayal. Unless the old man decides to be difficult about it." Godbrand says with a smug smile as he turns to leave. Isaac sat in silence as the words from Dracula, Leonora's fears and Godbrand's audacity stew over. He didn't need any more convincing. This was enough. "I see." He says.

Godbrand walked to leave his forge but then Isaac's whip wrapped around his neck, the small spikes embedded in it dug into his neck as Godbrand struggled against Isaac's hold on him. Isaac strangled him with his whip and Godbrand fought against him, trying to throw him off him. Throughout the midst of their struggle, Isaac gained the upper hand and used his whip to severally tear into Godbrand's neck. His blood flowed like a river as it spilt around the floor.

When he fell to his knees, Isaac whipped him until he was flat on his back. He tossed his whip to the side and he hovered above Godbrand, grabbing him by the neck and allowed his blood to spew out and decorate his face and body. He stared down at the Vampire with a quiet anger as he said, "Thank you for revealing to me how the corruption of the world has made its way into Dracula's court." This is what he deserves. This was all his fault. This was his punishment for his treachery. "Thank you for showing me the truth."

Godbrand screamed as he tried to attack Isaac, but the Forgemaster was much quicker than he was and used his dagger to stab Godbrand deep in his heart. The Vampire screams as his body and bones were engulfed in flames. Reducing him to nothing but ash.

Meanwhile, Leonora wiped the sweat off her brow as she finished in conjuring up a magic bottle. An indigo and violet bottle with black like vines around and a crest at the bottom. She wasn't sure if it'll work because she had only seen it and had been taught it once...but she had to take a chance. She sensed the danger rising in the air. She has to stop her.

"....Ma." A soft little voice called out. Leonora turned around and saw Silvanus walking towards her with his arms outstretched. "Mama..." He said. Leonora put down the bottle and went down her knees, bringing her son into a loving, protective hug. "My boy...My sweet boy. You can sense it too, can you? You're worried about Hector as well, aren't you?" She asks. She felt him wrapped his arms around her and nodding his head. Leonora let out a broken sigh and said, "I am too. But I promise I'm going to end it. I'm going to stop that woman...and then all of us are going to get out of here."

Chapter 14: The Flames Strike, part 1

Chapter Text

High atop the castle's battlements, Isaac sits in silence. Welcoming the sun's warm rays touch his face as he unfolds a red cloth and releases Godbrand's ashes into the wind. From down below, Carmilla contacts her forces through a magic mirror. "Assemble at Braila. Await the word. My work here is almost done." She tells them as she crosses her arms. "Nothing here but lost children and confused old men. The end of this will be practically merciful." Then a knock at her door draws her attention, Carmilla quickly puts away her magic mirror in a case and goes to answer her door, revealing one of the Vampire generals. He has been searching for Godbrand for some time but he shook his head, showing that he has had no luck.

"Really? How hard can it be to find Godbrand of all people? There has to be a limited number of things in this castle that he can drink, sleep under or attempt to have sex with. He must be somewhere." Carmilla says as she believes that it would be impossible for Godbrand to go unnoticed in the castle.

*Meanwhile at the Belmont's trove*

Trevor and Sypha were now wide awake and went back to searching the library. With the expectation of Miri who had been up the longest so she was still asleep. Alucard stood nearby, keeping an eye on her while continuing to search. Soon enough Miri's eyes fluttered open and she woke up with a soft yawn. She rubbed the sleepiness from her eyes as she heard. "Good to see that you've awoken." Miri looked up and saw Alucard smiling at her. Miri smiled back but it faded when she noticed that he wasn't wearing his jacket, and instead was covering her form, and realised that she broken her promise and fallen asleep.

She quickly stood and dusted his jacket, looking extremely apologetic. "I am so sorry. I was supposed to keep you company but instead, I had allowed myself to fall into slumber." She said as she gave a humble bow. Alucard chuckled at her and put a book away, walking over to her. He patted her head and said, "Nonsense. You were wonderful last night, there's no need to apologise." Miri looked up at him and a pink blush decorated her cheeks. She unconsciously held his jacket close to her as she said, "I-I...um, thank you. Here's your coat. Thank you for covering me with it." Alucard nodded and was about to take it when suddenly they heard, "What the hell?"

They both turned and saw Trevor standing just across from them with a startled expression before he stomped his way over to them. "Sir Belmont, hello. Were you able to have a peaceful slumber?" Miri kindly asked him before noticing the look of irritation on his face. Alucard took his jacket back just as Trevor grabbed Miri's shoulder and pushed her behind him. "You. What do you mean she was wonderful last night? What did you do to her?" Trevor asked in a threatening tone as he glared daggers at him.

"Sir Belmont?" Miri stared at her friend with much confusion as Alucard was unfazed by his sudden hostility and put on his jacket. "Honestly, you're making a fuss out of nothing. I did nothing to her except offer my coat to keep her warm while she slept." Alucard told him. Trevor glare sharped and he let out a low growl. Miri looked in between the two men with fear in her eyes, worried that they were going to enter another fight, she placed a hand on Trevor's arm and said, "Sir Belmont, please. I do not know why you are suddenly so hostile towards Sir Alucard, but I can assure you he was a gentleman towards me."

Trevor looked down at the younger girl, staring into her innocent face before giving one last glare at Alucard's way. He took her hand and lead her away from him. While Miri was questioning what Trevor was doing, all Alucard could do was let out a sigh and turn his attention back to the bookshelf in from of him. Though, he did catch the scent of fresh roses and rain once in a while coming from his coat.

Trevor lead Miri to another section of the library when he stopped and turned to face her. Miri looked at Trevor and saw that his eyes held a look of worry and anger. "Sir Belmont-?" "Miri, what exactly did Alucard mean you were wonderful? What did he do to you?" Trevor interrupted her, placing his hands on her shoulders. He was such an idiot, when he fell asleep he'd forgotten that Alucard was the only one left awake, and Miri was alone with him. The young gipsy girl became confused and simply said, "Absolutely nothing. I wanted to help keep Alucard company by staying awake for as long as I can, but that promise quickly diminished. He was just happy I was there and thanked me."

"Then why were holding his coat?" He asked

"I'd suppose it was because when I fell asleep, he gave it to me to help keep me warm." Miri tilted her head in confusion as she asked, "Sir Belmont, I do not understand. Why were you so upset?" Trevor opened his mouth to answer but no words came out. He looked at her face and saw no signs telling that she was lying. He just let out a sigh and asked, "Are you sure nothing happened last night with him?"

Miri shook her head. "Of course not. I do not like deceptions for there is nothing to gain from it. Sir Alucard and I merely talked and explored the library until I fell into a deep slumber." She told him. She tried to remember the events of last night, but so far she didn't think of anything that would be cause for alarm. That is until she remembered a specific occurrence. Alucard's breath on her lips. The look in his eyes when he leaned in close. The rapid beating of her heart. Miri used all of her willpower not to blush. Now that she finally registered what Alucard had almost tried to do. Miri didn't think it would be a good idea to let Trevor know that. He already seems upset as it is.

Trevor mentally smacked himself. Of course, Miri hates lies. What reason could she possibly have to tell one? He was an idiot. He should've given her more credit. She has been surviving for five years and has magic, so she's perfectly capable of taking care of herself. ....Such an idiot. Trevor sighed and took a step back. "Sorry...it's just, I was...." He began to say before turning his gaze away. ".....about you." He muttered under his breath.

"Pardon?" Miri asked.

"I was.......about you." Trevor muttered again.

"Sir Trevor, forgive me but I cannot understand you." She told him.

"I was worried about you, alright?!" Trevor nearly shouted. Miri peeked at his face and saw that it was red with embarrassment. She looked at him for a second before letting out a laugh, causing Trevor to face her. "Why are you laughing?!" Miri continued to laugh as she said, "A...apologies! However...you...you're quite adorable when showing your true feelings." "Shut up!" Trevor shouted. She looked up at Trevor and gave him a kind smile. "Sir Belmont, I assure you I am well. Nothing had happened and there's no need to act unfriendly towards Sir Alucard. Try to apologise and be friends again." She said.

Trevor turned his head and crossed his arms in slight annoyance. "....I only promise to try." He said. He was then taken off guard when Miri suddenly wrapped her arms around his torso, hugging him tightly. Trevor was a bit uncomfortable with this type of affection from her as he had no idea what the right response is. He hesitantly brought his arms up to try and hug her back but froze when she said, "Thank you. I am happy that you were concerned for me. You truly are my dearest friend." Trevor remained silent as he brought down his arms, gazing at the young girl. He didn't know why, but for some reason, her calling him her friend really bothered him. Now that he thought of it, he didn't know why he got so worked up like that. He didn't know why he THIS protective over Miri. Of course, he knew why...but this felt different. Trevor's eyes soften on her as he brought up his hand and patted her head. "I'm...glad I am."

Meanwhile, Sypha searches through the books of the Belmont library as Alucard entered the aisle she was in. Skimming past the books, taking one off the shelf as he casually walks to her side. "You know, for coming from an oral, memory-based culture, you're very good with books." Alucard says, praising Sypha for her ease with books despite her family oral tradition.

"It would have been a poor education if we hadn't been taught to read things to add to our memory stores. But I am coming to the conclusion that my people are idiots and we should have written everything down." Sypha tells him, beginning to doubt her people's ways.

"Everything?" Alucard asks.

"Yes. All the things. Look at this. There's more in this room than a million Speakers could carry across two generations. This is insane. And the sheer breadth of information about the Castle is staggering." Sypha says, completely amazed and impressed by the vast amount of information in the Belmont library simply would not have been able to be remembered by the Speakers.

"Hmm. But how much of it is useful?" Alucard says as he flips through another book.

"Well, I do have questions about Trevor's ancestors. I discovered an entire box of spells about penises." She said, whispering that last part to him. She said with a slight laugh but then both she and Alucard shared a look. "Right. We are NOT gonna let Miri even look at those spells." Sypha says.

"You're certain it was one of his ancestors? You didn't find it under his childhood bed?" Alucard said, going right back to teasing the last Belmont as he walks a bit further down the aisle. "Stop testing him, Alucard." Sypha scolded him. She doesn't care if Miri sees them as just men bonding, it's perfectly fine if she does, but this was just pointless. "I am concerned I have thrown my lot in with a demented infant." Alucard said.

"I imagine he has similar concerns about you." Sypha says as she looks through another book.

"I am also concerned that you enjoy him too much." Alucard said.

"And what is that supposed to mean?" Sypha questioned as she looked up to him.

"He is unreliable, emotionally damaged, and apparently very distracting to you while you should be focused on the task at hand." Alucard tells her.

"Oh. Am I not working hard enough?" Sypha asks in a passive-aggressive tone as she puts back the book. Down below, Miri flips through several books while Trevor sits behind her as unsheathes a sword. Even if they couldn't find anything useful in these books, the number of weapons should be enough for them to fight against Dracula and his army. She then looked up at the upper floor and subsequently felt her heart swell when she saw Alucard. She was about to wave up to him but stopped when she noticed he was in a conversation with the short-haired Speaker. Oh....well, maybe another time then.

"And he's a drunk and he's self-destructive and anybody trying to hold on to him may well simply be dragged down with him." Alucard says to Sypha. While this all sound rude, Alucard was just worried that Sypha is not close to Trevor, who he believes to be a drunk and self-destructive.

"You're afraid. You worry that you might have made the wrong choice. So you're trying to make him prove himself again and again by constantly provoking him." Sypha tells him as she comes to Trevor's defence. "You forget, Alucard. Trevor didn't get to finish out his childhood. He is not the man here who may not have grown up."

"Well, that's ridiculous." Alucard said.

"And if we don't get this done, then we're all failing. Aren't we?" Sypha asks, causing Alucard to almost tense up as his eyes slightly widen. "We can't fail." The golden-eyed Dhampire stated as he looks through the books. They cannot fail. Failure is not an option for them...for him. He made a promise to his mother and he was going to see it through. This whole damn war wasn't what she wanted, she didn't want any of to happen. He has to put a stop to it so that she may rest in peace.

"Wait." Sypha suddenly says as she turns to Alucard with wide eyes as she points over to another section of the aisle. "Get me that volume back there. With the red spine." As Alucard goes to get the book, Sypha hopes that what she found could potentially be the clue they've been looking for. "What have you found?" Alucard asked.

"I'm not sure. The ritual language it's written in has forked a couple of times over the years." She. says as he came back with the red book. "Can you read it?" He asked.

"Not without that book. It's based on Adamic. I recognize the roots. Now, that book there claimed to be written in a language called High Remembrance, which I've heard of. This one has the Adamical roots and some of the structure of High Remembrance, I think. Give." Sypha said with a bright smile while Alucard hands her the larger book. This is good. This is very good, this may just be what they were looking for. "I haven't heard of Adamic." Alucard said.

"Take a look." Sypha says as she handed him the smaller book. Alucard reads through it and quickly understood what she was talking about. There were even some scriptures he recognised. "Interesting. I see threads of Chaldaic in it." He said.

"You're rather well-read yourself." Sypha said.

"I had entirely different books under my childhood bed. My father was a polymath, my mother was a doctor, and I grew up very fast." Alucard told her.

"What does that mean?" Sypha asked with a confused, questionable look.

"I'm being literal. I aged very quickly." Alucard stated. Taking Sypha by completely surprised.

"That may explain a few things." Sypha said.

"What?" He asked.

"Perhaps you're just an angry teenager in an adult's body. Also, I've been noticing the way you've been looking at Miri, she is rather beautiful, don't you think?" Sypha says with a teasing smile, giggling at the baffled expression on Alucard's face.

*Back at Dracula's castle*

Hector meets with Isaac outside the castle as he wanted to discuss with him about the war. Hector gazes at the sun when he sets foot outside of Dracula's Castle with Isaac. He closes his eyes and lets out a calming sigh. The latter, however, is disinterested.

"You can spend so long in the castle that you can forget how the sun feels. Don't you think?" Hector asks his fellow Forgemaster.

"I like the castle." Isaac says as he looks at Hector without turning around. "The stone stays cool no matter where we are."

"You like the cold?" Hector asked.

"When I'm cold, I can eat meat or throw a cloak on. I spent my whole life in hot places. You can't escape heat." He says. Isaac turns his head back around and walks away. "Keep walking. Vampires have sharp ears, and you said we needed to talk." Hector turns around as well to follow him. "You're concerned about them hearing us?" He asked.

"I'm not a fool, Hector. If you weren't concerned, you wouldn't want the conversation out in the daylight." Isaac said.

"I just didn't want to be interrupted by argument." Hector says.

"They are good at arguing." Isaac said, seeing his point.

"I used to liken them to wolves or bats. A strong sense of community, acting as one. But lately... I see the vampires as cats. Swiping, hunting, or ignoring each other." Hector tells him. Hector admits to believing that he saw vampires as a united force with a singular purpose, but that view has been diminished during the war.

"You think of vampires as animals?" Isaac asked.

"In a way. They are pure creatures. They have grace." Hector says as the Forgemasters stop to watch a fox stick its paw into a river to find a fish to bite. "Animals don't act with malice." He said. "Cats play with their food all the time." Isaac pointed out as the fox they are watching catches a fish in its mouth shortly afterwards. "True. But it's not malicious. There's joy in it." Hector said.

Not for the food." Isaac said. He and Hector carry on their hike. As it drags on, it takes them straight into the woods. "So." Isaac says as he crosses his arms while Hector walked slightly ahead of him. "The cats need herding, Isaac." Hector tells him straight out.

"That's a good way to get your eyes clawed out, Hector." Isaac told him.

"I mean it. Dracula gave us the task of creating a war plan, but between his generals and their fighting, and his own attitude." Hector explains as he walked over to him. Isaac narrows his eyes at the pale silver-grey haired man. "And what attitude is that?" He questioned.

"He doesn't care." Hector said.

"He cares very much. He wants all of the humans to die. He's quite clear on that." Isaac said.

"That hasn't escaped me. My point is that he doesn't care how. We're failing him." Hector says.

"Oh. Are we, now?" Isaac asked.

"Yes. We need to assert an order to the war. We're the agents of his rage, not paintings of it. We can't just thrash around." Hector tells him.

"What do you want, Hector?" Isaac asks him with a low voice as he leans against a nearby tree.

"I want to present a united front. I want a plan. I want to move forward and get this over with in an orderly manner. I want you to agree to move on Braila." Hector said. He then lets out a sigh. "I know that, strictly speaking, we've never really been friends."

"It seems counterproductive to cultivate human friends when we're engaged in the project of ending the human race." Isaac stated.

"But we are on the same side." Hector says as he placed a hand on Isaac's shoulders. The dark-skinned man stares at his hand and asked, "Is this where we kiss like Benedictine monks from different monasteries?"

"I don't think I've ever heard you try to tell a joke before." Hector says with a genuinely surprised expression. Isaac calmly removes his hand and says, "You still haven't." Before walking away. "All Dracula hears is the noise in the War Hall. He needs us to be the clear voice over that noise. He needs us to speak in one voice." Hector said.

"He needs us to be loyal." Isaac tells him.

Hector gave a small scoff. "How is it disloyal to provide the guidance he requested of us?" He asked.

"If it's serving you and not him. There are people in the court who have their own plans. Their own agendas." Isaac says.

"I am loyal to him and his intent. But he asked for a plan. And we need to give him one, unambiguously. We go to Braila, prevent a diaspora by boat and then proceed along the coast from there. What do you say?" Hector tells him as the two men walked over to a cliff, overlooking the untamed, yet beautiful nature. Seeing the forest and mountains that look close enough to the touch. What Hector was trying to tell him, was that he wants the war to be in order and for the Vampires to speak in one voice, what Hector is trying to do is assuring his fellow Forgemaster that there is no betrayal at work.

"Well. It will please Carmilla, so I distrust it. But it would stop her from making mischief, for the moment. And it would get the war room pointed in the same direction." Isaac says as he then lets out a humorous laugh. "I imagine it would even make Godbrand smile." Hector chuckled. "Yeah. Well, don't talk me out of it." The two stood in silence before sharing a laugh as they made their way back to the castle.

Leonora walks through the halls of the castle with Silvanus walking beside her clutching her skirt. Leonora was heading outside to collect some natural ingredients for something she's been meaning to create for a while now. But she needed to be discreet about it. So far, everyone in this castle, except for Hector, believes that she is just a normal woman with very weak magic who's only capable of communicating through snakes. She doesn't think Carmilla is aware of her powers yet, so she still has some advantage. She then heard Silvanus give a small whimper and looked up. Leonora tried her hardest not to grimace. Speak the devil and the devil shall appear, so the saying goes.

Leonora placed a hand on her child's head as she passed by Carmilla. Trying to remain calm, Leonora gave the Vampiric woman a small bow and said, "Hello Madam Carmilla." She just wanted to past by but the white-haired woman stepped in her path. "Hello. May I know where you're off to? It's rather dark out for a human like yourself to venture outside." She said.

"Are you feeling concern for me?" Leonora asked.

"Not at all, but you appear to be rather important to Hector and he is one of Dracula's generals." She said.

"I'm just going out to collect whatever might be beneficial to create medicine for my child. It's still rather cold weather so I'd like to have some in its availability." Leonora says as she stares at Carmilla. "Does this answer satisfy you?" Carmilla's blue eyes narrowed at the gipsy woman. She didn't trust her. To her, Leonora was just some human woman with an attitude...but something was telling her that she shouldn't underestimate Leonora. She didn't know why though. Carmilla let out a scoff as she walked past her. "For now. Good luck finding anything out there." She said.

Leonora closed her eyes and she let out a soft sigh, walking away from where she stood. Without turning around, she twitched her finger and placed a small portion of her magic onto Carmilla's back. Neither she or anyone else going to notice it until Leonora decides to activate it. Leonora hated violence above all else. It was meaningless and destructive. Nothing good ever comes out of it. However, she believed it was an...acceptable approach when dealing with...certain things. If Leonora was lucky, she could be able to get her family out of this castle without having to use violence.

"Isaac agreed." Hector said, holding Cezar in arms while reporting his success in convincing Isaac to support their plan to Carmilla.

"That's good. That's very good." The Vampiress said.

"And the night creatures I forged for you will arrive at their destination soon." He says, putting his pug down. Carmilla smiled as she was pleased by Isaac's support and of Hector himself. "Hector! You are a marvel." She praised.

"What now?" Hector asked her.

"Now we'll wait a short while for Isaac to settle. And then we'll have him accompany us to Dracula. Present a united front." Carmilla says. "Dracula will have no choice but to agree to the request of both of his Forgemasters, brilliant Hector."

"Hmm. A quick, orderly and merciful war. And my family will finally be able to experience true freedom." Hector says, giving a ghost of a smile. Picturing the peaceful, happy life of them living together without anyone coming to harm them ever again. "Just as you wished, Hector. You have caused this to happen. Be proud. I admire your resolve." Carmilla tells him.

Meanwhile, Isaac was with Dracula in his study. He stood in front of his mirror, examining it. When he reached up to touch the glass with his fingertips the glass, though solid, began to form ripples like those in a pond beneath his fingers. "Quite remarkable. Carpathian?" He asked.

"Indeed." Dracula replied. "The last of the mirrors made by the Carpathian scrying hermits, 400 years ago."

"I must learn more about transmission mirrors one day." Isaac said.

"There will be time enough. Soon the world will be silent." Dracula said.

"God, yes." Isaac said with an exhausted sigh. "Listening to Hector made me wish for a lifeless world all on his own." Saying this caused Dracula to chuckle in amusement. "I find myself wishing you two were better friends." He told him.

"As I said to him, making human friends seems a little pointless, given our current crusade." Isaac said.

"True. But, at the end, there will be only you, him and his family." Dracula told him.

"Presumably. He'll be coming here to request you approve a move on Braila." Isaac informs his master.

"Why?" Dracula asked.

"Hector doesn't like it when the animals fight. Carmilla has the court whipped up. Discord is loud. It bothers him." Isaac says.

"Is he still loyal?"

"Oh, I think so. There's betrayal abroad in the court, but Hector is a simpler creature than that. He just doesn't like the arguing." Isaac reassures him.

"So the generals are going to betray me." The Vampire King said.

"No." Isaac quickly responded. "If anyone actually approached the verge of that, they would be taken care of without you ever finding out about it, my lord. It is simply in the air because they are frustrated."

"So if I let them go to Braila, they'll stop scheming and whining." Dracula concluded.

"I think so. It will give Carmilla some power, but that's not a bad thing." Isaac said.

"No. The War Room will speak to you and Hector in one voice instead of a dozen." Dracula said. Isaac nodded in agreement. Hector was right. The Vampire King does indeed wants his court to speak in one voice. "Indeed. And at the end of the day, you don't care. So long as the war continues." Isaac said.

"Fine, then." Dracula said as he let out a sigh. Holding up his head. "I'm tired, Isaac. There was a time that I would relish the details. Oh, there was a time. A time when the smallest details of death delighted me. I remember when the merchants of Kronstadt disrespected me. Spending a delicious few days gathering information about the town and drawing my plans. Stealing up the river at night. Setting fires in the town, knowing that the merchantmen would send their wives and children out but go to retrieve their most valuable goods before making their escape."

Half of the townsfolk had already evacuated from the fiery hellscape. The merchants had gathered their valuables and were about to head out, when the saw him. When the saw the being they had disrespected. An intimidating figure cloaked in all black and steel armour, standing on top of one of the burning buildings before swiftly jumping down to the ground. The bells in the distance rang. throughout the town as Dracula approached the men. He raised his hand and in an instant, had used his claws to effortless rip out one of the merchant's throat. All it took was a single swipe, and the man fell. His head hanging on by a thread.

One man, a fool he was, had grabbed a sword and tried to attack the Vampire King. He swiped at him but his efforts were nothing short of foolishness. Dracula knocked the blade from his hands and rushed at him. Stabbing his hand into the man's chest and out through his back. He tensed up and went limp as blood dripped from his mouth. Dracula wrest his hand back, revealing that he had ripped out the man's heart. Letting out a small laugh as he let the organ drop to the ground. He then shoved one man off to the side and he slit another's throat and slashing him to pieces. He killed two more before going after the one he pushed away.

He removed his hood so that he may take in the blood, chaos and death he was causing all around him before turning his sights the younger-looking man. Oh, that's right. Dracula was the Vampire King, wasn't he? So then, what is a Vampire if he doesn't satisfy his thirst for blood. That's exactly what the man learned before Dracula grabbed him and sank his fangs in his throat, draining him of the sweet, rich red nectar from his body.

As he let his body drop, Dracula's eyes spotted another merchant, desperately and pathetically trying to hide. He grabbed him by the hair and dragged him out of his home, and into the flames of hell as he screamed in fear. Dracula dragged him into the streets and his minions have approached him. Yes, not only was Dracula a Vampire, he was a king as well. So it's only natural for a king to provide food for his subjects. He cannot take all of it for himself, he cannot be that greedy. He tossed the man to his minions, his screams rang through the town before it was silenced by sounds of chewing and the roaring flames. Of course, the merchants had tried to fight back, and Dracula did thought it was admirable for mere humans to try and stop him but at the end of it all. It didn't matter. As all forty men who had disrespected him were slaughtered.

"Forty of them had offended me. At the time, I saw no reason to harm anybody other than those 40 and I painted my picture accordingly."

At the time, Dracula was an uncontrollable monster. A devil living amongst them. The pain. The bloodlust. The control over someone else's life. The absolute control over all living things. Dracula...had enjoyed it. Immensely. He loved it. By the time the sun rose. The survivors, while their lives were spared, fell into deep despair. They cried and held themselves for comfort. Their town and their homes were in ruined. And their husbands and father were killed so brutally. Their bodies were impaled onto sharp spears and were lined up, exposed for the world to see. They were killed and placed there, as a warning.

Chapter 15: The Flames Strike, part 2

Chapter Text

*A few moments ago*

Leonora places her magic bottle into her small bag as she packs up the small scriptures of magic she had hidden away for safekeeping while her child and Cezar sat beside her. Silvanus sensed the distress in his mother and to reach for her hand to try and comfort her. Leonora smiled sadly at her child and hugged him. "Do not be frightened, my dear. Everything will be fine. No matter how wicked the world and the darkness becomes, never lose hope. Never lose your faith." She tells him as she looks out the window, the sun was going down. She needed to get those ingredients. "Come on now." She says as they both stood up and headed out from the forge. Nearly bumping into Hector in the process.

"Hector."

"Leonora, where are you off to?" Hector asked, taking notice of the small bag tied around her waist. "The weather is still cold so I decided to go find anything that might be proven useful for medicine." She told him with a sweet smile. Her heart twisted itself. Leonora hated lies...so doing this to Hector was extremely hard for her. Hector smiled and leaned down towards Silvanus. "And I supposed the brave Silvanus is going to keep his mother safe, is that right?" He playfully asked him. Silvanus looked up at the Forgemaster and ran up to hug his legs. Hector laughed as he picked up the small boy in his arms.

Leonora smiled at the scene before her but it fell when she thought back to Carmilla. She looked at Hector and timidly asked, "H-Hector..? About Madam Carmilla...are you certain she is trustworthy?"

"What?"

"Forgive me, but I know what you and her have been talking about and the creatures you had made for her." Leonora says. "Hector, I know you want for us but Madam Carmilla, I don't think she's one to be trusted."

"What I want is for us to live in peace. For you and Silvanus to live without fear. I'm doing all of this for you both." Hector tells her. He lets out a sigh. He figured that Leonora would figure it out sooner or later, and he can understand her concerns but with how things. are going, this war will end up how he envisioned it. Carmilla made a lot of good cases and she assured him that his family will be safe. "Leonora, I understand why you're concerned about Carmilla, but I promise everything is fine. There's nothing for you to worry about. Very soon, all three of us will finally experience true freedom."

"But Hector, I sense something wrong with Madam Carmilla. She's doesn't seem the kind of person who cares about-."

"I think that maybe you're overthinking all this. Leonora, just trust me. Everything will go according to plan, this world will be taken care and the rest of the human race will be controlled. Please stop worrying yourself so much, my dear." Hector says as he placed a hand on her cheek, dismissing her fears and her warnings. Leonora looked at Hector with saddened eyes. He wasn't listening to her. He believes in Carmilla's words and is blind to her true intentions. ...She was losing him.

Leonora let out a breath as she took back her child. "I understand. I'll be back soon." She said as she walked past him. That's when Hector began to show more concern for the woman as he noticed the tears swelling in her eyes. "Leonora-." He tried to call out.

"I love you, Hector." She suddenly said. But she didn't turn to look at him, because she didn't want him to see the tears falling from her face. What Hector was going to say, his words were stuck in his throat as he stared at Leonora in absolute shock. "I have always loved you...more than you'll ever realise." She says as she blinked away the tears before continuing her way. Over his mother's shoulder, Silvanus looked at the man who had been like a father to him and gave a sad little wave. Hector tried to reach out to her but she had already left.

 

 

After Dracula finishes reminiscing about the days when he cared about killing humans, he lets out a sigh as he tells Isaac, "But those times are long gone. Let us just conclude this thing." Soon, Hector and Carmilla arrive to present their plan to Dracula. Before they entered, the white-haired Vampiress took notice of the other Forgemaster. "Isaac. We were looking for you." She says.

"I was admiring the mirror." Isaac said. Carmilla looked at him for a moment before turning her attention to the Vampire King. "My lord, Dracula."

"My lord." Hector says.

"Yes, yes, we all know who we are. What do you all want?" Dracula says, not in the mood for formal greetings, he was already getting exhausted. Carmilla turns to Isaac, who just gave a simple shrug. "Very well. Hector?" She says.

"We would ask you to consider moving the castle to Braila, to conduct a full-scale destructive attack on the port." The Frogemaster said.

"To what end?" Dracula questioned.

"To seal it, and discourage escape by river to the sea. Then we turn inland, having land-locked the humans and turned their country into a prison." Carmilla explained.

"I agree. They make a good case. It unites the court. It lets us move forward." Isaac tells his master.

"Braila. Fine. Braila it is. I no longer have the strength for these petty decisions." Although seemingly indifferent to the actual details, Dracula agrees to move the castle to Braila when Isaac supports their plan. "Amuse yourselves. We will go to Braila ourselves. So long as they all die. That's all that matters. They all have to die." Dracula says. Carmilla gave a smile as she and Hector looked at each other. She gave a nod and Hector leaves the room. "Thank you. A great victory awaits." She says to Dracula.

"Yes, yes. I'm tired. Tell me when you're ready for me to move the castle to Braila. Get on with it." Dracula says. Carmilla's smile widens as she leaves as well. Isaac folded his hands behind his back as goes to leave the study, but stops when he gazed at the broken, sadden form of his great master and closest friend. He couldn't leave him like this. He walks up to him as he places a comforting hand on his shoulder. "I will stay, Dracula. Until this is done." He tells him.

"It doesn't matter. So long as they all die. That's all. They all have to die" Dracula says softly. The Vampire King does not care about the details and he just...he simply wants all of the humans to die. Oh, Lisa...Why did you have to go?

Out in the hall, Hector and Carmilla discussed the next phase of this plan. "What now?" The Forgemaster asked.

"Now I ensure my forces will be in place. Then we inform the war council and convince them that this was their plan all along." Carmilla says.

"Some of them will wonder why this is where your interest is, after you so loudly brought up the issue of Belmont and Alucard." Hector pointed out.

"And I have already had you forge me the means to deal with that issue. I am in control, Hector." Carmilla says suddenly, causing Hector to stop. "You are?" He questioned.

Carmilla stopped walking and turned to face the Forgemaster. "Yes. He could have done it. You could have done it. Any of the generals could have done it. But I had to. Do you know why I had to do it?" She softly asked before she swiftly got close to him with a controlled expression of rage on her face, baring her fangs, making Hector take a step back. " Because I am surrounded by children and animals and dying old men.  There are perhaps four other women in this castle, not including yours, and they all glare from the edges, either disempowered by posturing man-children or too paralysed by sheer fucking rage to do anything."

"And which am I? Child or animal?" Hector says, glaring at Carmilla. He cursed himself. Leonora was right. She was right about Carmilla all along....and he didn't listen to her. Carmilla gives a rather mocking smile as she says, "Puppy. Somewhere between the two."

"I thought you wanted me to believe you respected me." Hector said.

"I did. Now you're implicated, so I don't need to. You're hip-deep in this now, puppy, and the only way out is forward. Come along." Carmilla says, treating him like the puppy she claims he is, and walked away. Hector was beside himself with anger and regret. He cursed himself to hell. He should've listened to Leonora. He should've considered her words of warning. ...And now he was trapped. He trapped his family...and the only way for any of them to survive is to see the plan through.

"Leonora...what have I done...?" He says softly to himself, pleading that if he saw his beloved again she would forgive him. Unbeknownst to him, however, Leonora had been watching them closely. She had caught their conversation and knew that the time of confronting was now or never. She kneeled to her child and reached into her bag and pulled out a beautiful sunstone pendant, the very thing she had sought out the ingredients for, and placed it around Silvanus's neck. "Silvanus, keep this pendant with you at all times and go hide in Hector's forge. I have some affairs to tend to with Carmilla." She says as she rose to her feet. Silvanus frantically shook his head and tugged at his mother's skirt. Silently pleading her not to go.

"I have to, my dear. Carmilla is dangerous and she isn't going to stop unless someone makes her." She says as she tried to pry her child off her, but he refused to let her go. "Silvanus, please. Listen to me. Go to Hector's forge...he needs you." Silvanus looked up at his mother and his shoulders shook as tears swelled in his eyes. He didn't want to see his mother go...but he had no other choice but trust her and have faith that she will be okay. Silvanus sadly nodded his head and taking a moment to take in his mother's image, he ran away. Leonora watched her child run away and waited until he was out of sight. She took a deep breath and allowed the fire to exhale out. She disappeared in a swirl of flames.

*Back at the Belmont Estate*

Miri was searches through the higher level of the library and scans through each book she comes across. Amid her search, Miri accidentally dumped into Alucard. Miri softly gasp and gave a small bow. "Oh, I am so sorry. I wasn't paying attention." She said. The half-Vampire merely smiled at her and chuckled. "Think nothing of it." Alucard said as he picks out a book and began to read.

Miri gave a wordless nod as she picked out a random book and tried to focus her attention on it, but her silver-lavender eyes kept glancing over to the tall, handsome man beside her. Not understanding the confusing feelings she's been having. Ever since they met in the catacombs of Gresit, Miri's mind had been consumed by the thoughts of Alucard. And Alucard alone.

When he first looked at her with those eyes, she felt that something different was about him. Miri lowers the book in her hands and she looked over at him. What was it? What is causing her to be so drawn to him? Those beautiful golden eyes of his? That smile? His handsome face? His hair that shines like the sun? It wasn't because of his mixed heritage, but Alucard somehow stood out from all the other men she knew like Pyramus, Trevor, or any of the boys in her clan. Alucard was more sophisticated, more intelligent and he held a compassionate heart.

Even so, Miri couldn't deny that she felt something towards Alucard. Miri blushed pink as she remembered Alucard almost kissing her. Her heart pounded as she knew that if Alucard went through with it, she would gladly allow it. Miri had experienced love before, from both her parents and the short flame from Pyramus, yet this feeling was more powerful than that. It was a brief thought, but Miri believed that she might be falling in love with him. A child born from darkness and light.

If only she could get close to him and get know him more and maybe somehow or someday he might love her too. That is if he's genuinely interested in her. Despite her skill in magic, Miri wasn't like Sypha and she wasn't a skilled fighter like him and Trevor. She wasn't nearly as intelligent as Alucard but she was fairly smart and did not lack common sense. Also, she was fair looking and rather easy on the eyes, in her perceptive anyway. Her long black hair, tanned skin and silver-lavender eyes. Miri considered herself to be a pretty decent person. Yet, she didn't think Alucard would look at her the same way she looked at him.

Remembering Alucard almost kissing her and the feeling of his breath on her lips, Miri's blush deepened and her face felt warm. Her heart started pounding in her chest and her stomach started doing summersaults. Miri lifted her hand and brought it up to her chest. 'Is this what it's like to feel love?' She thought to herself.

Sypha sat by herself as she reads through a few more books. She flipped through, what she concludes to be the hundredth, book this day, she stopped when she came across a certain page. She read through it quickly and her eyes widened in amazement.  "Oh. Oh! This is! Trevor!" Sypha shouted as she quickly got up and ran towards the railing. "What?" Trevor asked from below. "I have something." She said.

"Uh, when I say "what," that doesn't mean "I would like to ask even more questions"." Trevor told her.

"Would you please...Oh, you are the most annoying...just stop!" Sypha shouted in irritation.

Trevor let out a sigh as he said, "I'm coming up."

"I think I've found a locking spell." Sypha said as she reads through the book just as Alucard and Miri came over when they became drawn to her excitement. "Wait. Listen. Your family have an entire literature here about the castle. They tried for centuries to eliminate its main advantage it transports itself through magical means."

"Right. So you can't attack it if it just jumps somewhere else." Trevor said.

"Yes. So some clever Belmont eventually formulated most of a locking spell. A method to catch the castle and lock it down to a single location so that it can be invaded." Sypha explained.

"So you can trap it. That's a good thing, isn't it?" Miri asked as she turned to Alucard.

"Most of it?" He questioned.

"I can finish the final clauses of it myself. It's all based on Adamical structures." Sypha said as Trevor makes his way over to her.

"You keep saying that word." Alucard said, climbing down the ladder to rejoin the others. Miri followed close behind but paused when the golden-eyed Dhampir offered his hand to her. She blushed as she took it and he helped her down. Miri suddenly felt very embarrassed being close to him and she quickly ran over to the others. "Adamic is the original human language. The one spoken by Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. The one that was split into all other languages at the Tower of Babel by God to prevent human cooperation." Sypha told them, though they looked at her with slight confusion.

"Is that how you understand that story?" Alucard questioned.

"Oh, yes. The Speakers are the enemy of God. We live in cooperation and hide our stories inside ourselves so he cannot strike them down in jealousy." Sypha says in a matter of fact tone.

"But...Forgive me, but I do not understand. Why would God, a merciful and great deity, have any reason to see the Speakers as His enemies? Was it not His intention to see us live in cooperation?" Miri asked the short-haired Speaker. Miri wasn't an avid goer of religion as most people were but she doubted Sypha and her people would do anything to have an all-powerful, omnipotent deity jealous. Why would he be jealous? It was at that moment that the group had heard a loud crash and thundering tremors around the library. "See?" Sypha says as she raised her hand. "God hates me."

The crashes then grew to be as powerful as the entire library shook around them. As if they were in the middle of a massive earthquake. It was Hector's night creatures. They had arrived and now they were trying to access the library. "What is that?" Miri asked. "That's probably not God." Alucard said.

*At Dracula's castle*

Carmilla smiled from ear to ear as she informed her forces through her mirror, informing them about them transporting to Braila and destroying humanity last chance at escape. Her plans were going exactly the way she intended. She had to cut the meeting short when a knock came from her door. She put away her mirror and went to answer it. To her surprise and suspicion, it was Leonora who stood outside her door. "My, this is an unexpected surprised. What brings you here?" Carmilla asked.

"Madam Carmilla, may we talk? I have some concerns, I like to discuss. In private." The golden-green eyed woman says. Carmilla narrowed her eyes at her. For a while now this woman has been giving her a bad feeling. Ever since she, a mere human, had the gull to grab her like that, Carmilla never liked her. She was just a normal human woman with nothing special about her. Still, she didn't think there was anything this mere human could do anything to her, so she agreed. Leonora lead Carmilla out into the high platforms of the castle. The two women stood on opposite sides and Carmilla crosses her arms and calmly asks, "Now what exactly could be so important that you wanted to have a chat up here?"

"I want you to leave." Leonora bluntly said. Not seeing any point to drag anything on. Though her bluntness had taken the Vampiress by surprised. "What?" She asked. "I want you to go away. Though the council wasn't ideal before, the seeds of betrayal only began to grow when you arrived. The very moment I saw you, I've sensed the air of one who isn't meant to be trusted." Leonora says. Carmilla stared at her in slight shock before letting out a mocking laugh.

"Hahaha, don't tell me. This is about that little puppy of yours, isn't it? Haha, honestly, why do you care so much for him?" Carmilla asks.

"I do not believe that is any of your concern. Hector is very important to me and I will not have your claws touching him any longer. However, I want to give this chance. Leave this castle. Otherwise, I'll be forced to make you." Leonora told her. She looked so serious and so sure that she can MAKE a Vampire do whatever she wants to, Carmilla bursts out laughing. "Are you serious? You, a mere human, is going to force me to leave the castle? You humans never fail to amuse me." She laughed. "I sincerely hope you're not planning on doing anything, it's no fun tormenting the weak."

Leonora snapped her fingers. And then,

"AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!" Carmilla screamed as her back had exploded into a small fire and the white-haired Vampiress fell to her knees. When she took in a sharp breath, Carmilla was then kicked underneath her chin, knocking her back. Leonora raised her hand and fire swirled around her before it takes several forms of lions. The lions growled and bared their teeth at the Vampire in front of them. Carmilla stared up at the gipsy woman in shock. "You don't know anything about me at all, do you? I hate violence, so consider this a warning. Leave. This. Castle." Leonora told her with a stern voice.

Fury coloured Carmilla's vision red. On the ground, she ran, lunging towards the fire-wielding gipsy. She charged, swiping her sharp claws. But Leonora was ready. One fast straight punch to Carmilla's unprotected jaw and her head whipped back, her body arched backwards. Leonora then quickly ducked down and delivered a sweep kick at her legs. The lions roared and lunged at the Vampiress. One ran behind her and its paws hit Carmilla's back. It's claws digging into her flesh. Carmilla's screamed as she felt literal hot breath on her neck, a spattering of carrion-scented saliva. The rest of the lions sank their teeth into Carmilla's arms and legs, holding her in place and burning her skin at the same time.

Leonora walked over then summoned her magic bottle and stared down at the Vampiress. "Just so you're aware...this is all your fault. But do not worry, I'm not going to kill you. I'm only going to contain you so you won't cause any more trouble." Leonora told her. Carmilla's eyes widened in shock, struggling to free herself from the lions' grip as Leonora was about to open the bottle towards Carmilla, preparing to seal her inside it. She then looked behind her and suddenly said, "Your child is rather adorable, coming here for you."

Leonora's entire body froze up and turned around, expecting to see her young son standing there but found nothing. This small distraction was more than enough for Carmilla to free herself and tackle the fire-wielding gipsy woman to the ground with a growl. The two struggled for a while before Carmilla had taken the bottle and opened it. "No..no!!" Leonora screamed as she was sucked into the bottle and Carmilla quickly sealed it. Trapping Leonora inside.

Carmilla stood up and used her Vampiric abilities to heal her burns as she glared down at her. She had underestimated her. She should've known there was something more to this woman if she was within Dracula's castle. Carmilla should just kill Leonora right now while she literally held her in her hand, but then she thought about little puppy Hector. That's right. She was the reason why he was doing any of this. She was his woman. Carmilla chuckled as she found a way to keep her puppy in line.

Chapter 16: Carmilla's Forces Attack. The Castle Lockdown

Chapter Text

High above the ground, Hector's night creatures attempt to breach the magical door to the library. Snarling and growling as a minotaur-looking beast bashed its fist against the door. Below, Miri sat on her knees, eyes closed as her pendant glowed a faint white light as the tremors continued to grow in strength. "How many are there Miri?" Trevor asked.

The girl's brows furrowed as she tried to sense whatever was above them. It was so strange. She felt life energy, but at the same time, it was so faint it was almost nonexistent. Her pendant stopped glowing as she looked up at the last Vampire Hunter. "Five...? No, six creatures." She told him just as another tremor rolled into the library. Trevor helps Miri stand up and the two walked back to the others. They collected all the books that were useful and piled them next to the lectern.

"Can we get that magic mirror working?" Trevor asked.

"I think so. But I can't do two things at once here." Sypha says as Alucard carried in the magic mirror to the centre of the library. He sets it down and said, "I know some Chaldaic. I know how to operate a distance mirror. Which shall I do?" He turned to Sypha, who then turned to Trevor as the rumbling continued above them.

"Mm...uh...I can't do either of those things." He said.

"Come on, Belmont! Time to choose. You're either the last son of a warrior dynasty or a lucky drunk. Which is it?" Alucard questioned him with a steel glare as a vicious rumbling echoed in. Trevor stayed silent for a moment, contemplating Alucard's words. He looked up at the ceiling, knowing that it was only a matter before the night hoard breaks through. He looked over at the young girl beside him and was greeted by a small smile of encouragement. He took in a deep breath as he then thought up a plan. "Hmm. Okay. Get the mirror working, Alucard. Give me force numbers, species, and weapons count. Sypha stays on her job for now." He says as his teammates went into their positions. Sypha turned to the books and Alucard walked over to the mirror, taking off one of his gloves.

"I'll fortify the point of entry. Miri, do you mind assisting me?" Trevor asked as he turned to her. Miri shook her head and summoned her ivory bow and arrow. "Not at all." She told him as they prepare to defend the entrance while Sypha completes the locking spell and Alucard works on the distance mirror to find Dracula's Castle as the beasts raged on. "I think we're going to see the size and disposition of the attacking force fairly quickly with our own eyes, Belmont." Alucard said.

"I'm forced to agree." Trevor says as he equips himself with the sword he found a few moments ago. "Do you have a further suggestion?"

"Are you asking my advice?" Alucard questioned.

"We're working together, Alucard." Trevor told him, walking towards him as he gets his point across. "You're still a bastard, but you're the bastard I chose to fight alongside back in Gresit. Do you have a problem with any of that?" Alucard gave him a stare. He took in the tone of his words and the expression on his face. It was the same. The very same spirit he had seen when they fought. Trevor was the son of a warrior dynasty. Alucard gave a small smile and said, "None at all."

"So what do you suggest?" Trevor asked.

"Using this to find Dracula's castle. Now." Alucard said. The rumblings were getting more stronger. Enough for the lights to shake and the books to topple to the ground. "We're trapped in a box down here. We will eventually be overwhelmed, unless we change the nature of the battle."

"Agreed. Sypha!" Trevor called out.

"I'm close to getting it." Sypha said as she scoured through the books.

"Miri and I will protect you for as long as we can." Trevor says as he and the gipsy girl rushed up the stairs. "I know." Sypha says as she watched them go. The two rushed up the stairs and Trevor stops as he uses the Morning Star to swing himself to another walkway above. Miri used her magic to levitate and followed him. As they ran across the walkway, Trevor shouted over his shoulder, "Miri, I want you to stay at my side. Though you have magic, I am still going to protect you!"

She smiled. "Thank you, Sir Bel-."

"Trevor! I want you to call me by name." He told her as another violent tremor rang in, causing Trevor to fall off the walkway. Fortunately for him, Miri was close enough to dive forward and grab his hand. Above, the night creatures eventually break through the magical barrier and begin their descent. They were losing time. Miri quickly pulled Trevor back on the walkway. and the two ran towards the entrance, heading to fight the hoard. Meanwhile, Alucard had completed the magic mirror and it showed a clear image of his father's castle. "There you are." He said as his eyes turned from a beautiful gold to a crimson red and stared into the mirror.

In his castle, Dracula enters a room which held nothing but a single walkway and a magical device that ables him to transport the castle. As he approaches the device, he thinks about the next destination. "Braila. Just to keep the peace between squabbling creatures who will starve and die before the end of the year, anyway." He says to himself. "Ah, well. So long as it brings silence." He raised his hand to the device and it swirled and shifted under his power. "To Braila, then." A golden light emerged from the device and within seconds, it disappeared. Alucard gripped the mirror in controlled anger as he had watched the castle teleported elsewhere. Thanks to the magic mirror, he sees that his father had teleported his castle into the middle of Braila, causing destruction and panic in the townsfolk. Within the castle's entrance, his generals prepare to lead the night creatures into the city to create even more chaos.

Trevor and Miri ran up the stairs to stop the demon hoard from coming in, only to stop when. they saw the rest of the staircases collapsing in on each other, a large cloud of dust following close behind. "Oh, for God's sake." Trevor sighed out. Miri looked up and her eyes went wide. She sensed something big. And it was going to fall on them. "Trevor, look out!" She shouted as she used wind magic to move Trevor out of the way just as a massive demon came barreling down upon them. Miri barely had any time to move before the staircases collapsed beneath her.

She landed hard on her side, and almost screamed when the demon sets it sights on her. She got back up and waved her arm, sending sharp, jagged ice to stab the demon in its chest. It roared in pain but it proved to be a bit tougher than that as it swiped its massive hand to destroy the ice. Miri backed and summoned ice spears that immediately lashed towards the demon. A few of those spears impaled the beast but it wasn't enough to slow it down.

"Miri!" Trevor called out. Before the stairway collapsed, he had used the Morning Star to grab hold of a piece of broken wood, and now he suddenly felt fear that Miri was facing the demon on her own. He watched her use her ice magic to freeze the demon's legs in place. Thinking fast, Trevor used the Morning Star and swung himself over to the fight and landed himself on its back. He took his sword and pressed it against the demon's neck, ripping through its skin. The demon roared as blood spilt from its open wound. Trevor tried to saw off the demon's head but the creature struggled with all its might, breaking through the ice and slamming Trevor against the stair's railing before being thrown off, sending him colliding against the wall.

"Trevor!" Miri yelled as the demon stomped its way over to her friend. She steadied her bow and launched her arrow. Piercing one of its hand and the pure energy promptly blasted it off. The demon roared in both anger and agony, turning back to the young girl. It was about to lash out at her when the staircase they were on gave in and the three of them colliding to ground level. Trevor rolled over and got back to feet, running straight towards Miri, picking up his sword on the way.

The gipsy girl took a few steps back and let out a breath. She shot her hands out and traps the demon's in solid ice. This time, they weren't going to break any time soon. She then raised her arms, summons a wall on each side of the demon and forces the walls to close in on them. The demon pressed its hands against the walls of ice to stop the walls from crushing it, but Miri forces the walls to close in on the demon, crushing it to death.

Trevor had walked over to her side, both amazed and shocked that she was able to kill that behemoth. But he was impressed, to say the least. Miri glanced over and let out a gasp. She ran towards Trevor and began checking for injuries. "Trevor, are all right? Nothing is broken?" She asked him. "No, I'm fine, I-." He stopped as he looked at her.

"You called me by my first name." He said, a smile breaking through his face. Miri smiled back, nodding her head before their attention was taken away by another screech. A humanoid demon with a sharp spear and bandages covering its eyes lunged down from above and dove in for the attack.

At. Braila, Hector and Carmilla leave the castle with a shackled and resurrected Bishop in their charge. Hector was beginning to worry. He hadn't seen Leonora for a while and Silvanus looked more fearful of his surroundings than normal. 'Where was she?' He thought. While at the main entrance, Dracula's generals lead their armies as they march out into Braila. Hector and Carmilla made their way over to the river and had the undead Bishop go into the water. By their command, he kneeled in the water and placed his hands in prayer. "Bless the river, bishop. Make the water holy." Carmilla instructed the Bishop. The carcass stands up and recites a prayer in Latin. "In nomine patris, et filii, et spiritu sanctu." In the process of blessing the river, he drops his cross in the water and his body bursts into flames of blue.

The generals cross a bridge across the river and find that their way is blocked by another vampire force under Carmilla's command. At they were confused as to why these troops were here, baring their weapons at them, but when the commander raised his hand, they knew. At their commander's signal, huge chains pull the foundations of the bridge out from under Dracula's forces, dropping a large portion of his forces into the now blessed river. Those unlucky enough to touch the water are quickly killed. With the forces reduced to ash and with no way of getting into the town of Braila, the generals retreat to the castle.

"Hit the mark." Miri said as she launches several arrows to shoot down the winged demons as Trevor fought with the spear-wielding demon. Trevor's sword got knocked out of his hand and the demon screeches as it rushed at him. Trevor took the Morning Star and used it to successfully overpower it. As he pins the demon beneath his foot, a winged demon flew in from above and its stomach bloated up as fire stirred inside. "Firedrake. Just what I need in an underground hold full of paper." He mutters to himself. After punching away the demon he fought, Trevor whips up the Morning Star up the Firedrake, the tip glowing in a ball of fire and strike it. It resulted in a mighty explosion destroys much of the night creature force. Miri created a wall of ice to protect them from the blast but it held enough force to send them crashing back into the library.

"Probably just as well I didn't get to play with the whip when I was a kid." Trevor said. He goes to retrieve back the Morning Star when the demon he fought earlier came in and knocks the weapon away, making it fall to the levels below. Miri summoned her bow and fired an arrow, purposely hitting its shoulder. Distracting it long enough for Trevor to grab the spear and rush towards the demon, stabbing it deep into its body. The demon snarls and it dripped blood from its mouth. "When you get back to whatever steaming underworld shithole you came from, you tell them there are still Belmonts up here."  Trevor said before finishing it off.

The gipsy and hunter breathed a sigh of relief, thinking it was the last of the hoard when another demon flew into the library. Trevor grit his teeth as he armed himself with his daggers and the spear, ready to face the bird-like demon. "Miri. Go back down and see if you can help the others." He told her.

"What?" Miri asked as she looked at him with wide eyes.

"I'll be fine, just go!" Trevor said as he tossed his daggers at the creature, but it dodged them all. Trevor struck at the demon and soon the fight carried itself over to another platform. Miri became worried about Trevor's safety but had faith that he can handle that thing before long. Trusting his skills as the hunter she admired, Miri turned and ran back down to the others.

Back at Braila, the consecration of the river kills the reanimated Bishop and Carmilla's forces span the river with bridges prepared for the occasion, allowing her forces to cross and attack Dracula's castle. "Move." Carmilla says as she grabs Hector's arm and begins to drag him away. "What?" Hector asked, confused.

"You're coming with me." She simply stated. Hector glared at her and he wrests his arm back. "Why?" As far as Hector was concerned, he wasn't going anywhere with her. Not without his family. They were still in the castle and he wasn't leaving them. "You made your choice, Hector. You can't go back to the castle now. You betrayed the old man." The Vampiress pointed out.

Carmilla tells him that he has nowhere else to go and that Hector is effectively hers now.

"I...I... But...my family...Leonora and Silvanus, they're...." Hector said in a nearly defeated tone. He didn't mean to betray Dracula. Even then Hector was still loyal to Dracula and was willing to follow through his plans for this war...Even now, he's still loyal to him and all he wants right now his beloved family. So he could tell them how sorry he was.

"My God. You're still the baby who had his woodland animal corpses taken away. Isaac is still the indigent boy getting beaten in the streets. And Dracula is destroying the world in a tantrum because someone killed his pet breeder." Carmilla said. "You are all nothing but man-children. Get across the bridge. You're mine now, Forgemaster. If it will keep you in line, your "family" will be with you." Carmilla snapped her fingers and two of her Vampiric forces appeared behind her.

Hector's eyes widen in horror as in one of the Vampire's arms, Silvanus laid asleep. At least, he looked like he was sleeping. Hector's whole body shook and he immediately tried to get to the small boy and keep him away from them, but Carmilla grabbed his shoulder and roughly pushed him away. "No... No, please-." "Please, do you take me for a monster? I will not hurt the boy, it's his mother whom I want to hurt." Carmilla told him as she walked over to Silvanus and cradled him in her arms. When she mentioned Leonora, Hector froze and the colour slowly drained from his face. "Leonora...where is she?"

"Despite that, I do hold some respect for her. She didn't hesitate when she attacked and she was smart." Carmilla said as she brushed away Silvanus's bangs from his face. She was smart and seemed to be a decent fighter, but of course, her maternal instincts for his child proved to be just one of her biggest weaknesses. "Where is she?! What did you do to her?!" Hector fearfully demanded her. Carmilla turned her head and spread a wicked smile. She held up the magic bottle and Hector's was in absolute horror when he saw Leonora trapped inside. The woman must've seen him too as she pounded on the glass, she was crying and her mouth moved, but no sound could be heard.

"I wouldn't worry too much about her, just as long as you do as I say, Hector. As for this boy, I think I'll be his mother now...support and raise him. Who knows...if he's anything like his mother, he might be proved to be very useful." Carmilla says as she looks over Hector with a smug smile on her face while placing the bottle away. "You may have your family...but you have nothing left but me." She says as she gazed down at Hector as if he was nothing but an insignificant roach. She harshly shoved him towards the bridge and he had no other choice but to walk.

Hector looked back at the castle, thinking about the friend he had unintentionally betrayed. He looked back at his family who Carmilla held captive. This was all his fault. He never intended for any of this to happen. He...never...wanted any of this. All he truly wanted was to live in peace with his family....guess this whole time they spend together... "I love you, Hector." They already were. "Leonora. Silvanus. Lord Dracula....I'm so sorry." Hector said softly to himself as he buried his face into his hands.

Back at the Belmont Estate, Sypha reads through a large book and a page beside her. As going through everything she had read, she, at last, finds the final component to make the locking spell work. "That's it." She said. She took the book and paper in hand as she races to get back to Alucard and the mirror. She quickly stops when a giant winged demon growls crashes in front of her and growls threateningly. Before it had the chance to attack her, Trevor had jumped down from a walkway and kicked the demon away from her. Sending it crashing against the wall. It snarled at him as Trevor rushed towards it. With him taking care of that thing, Sypha rushed back down.

"Sir Alucard." Miri called out as she ran over to his side. Alucard turned his head and looked relieved when he saw her. "Miri, are you alright?" He asked her. She nodded. "Yes." The two smiled at each other just as Sypha rushed over to them. "Do you see the castle?" She asked as she tried to get a good look at the mirror. "Take a look." Alucard said as the three of them looked at the massive castle that stood high above the small town.

"Good. Keep focused on it. I have to be able to see it to put my intent on it." Sypha says as she places the book on the lectern. "Your intent?" Alucard questioned.

"That's all magic is, Alucard. Changing things in accordance with my intent. And my intent is to drag that grotesque thing here." She told him. Making sure that Alucard has the castle in the distance mirror, Sypha begins the spell to bring Dracula's castle to the Belmont Estate. While, at the same time, Carmilla's forces assault the castle, hammering at the door with a battering ram. Inside the generals and Isaac gathered their forces just the began hammering the door. They steeled themselves and made preparations just as the doors burst open. Once inside, the two armies engage in fierce combat. It was a bloodbath as the opposing sides tore each other apart with either their strength or with their demons. Bodies fell to the ground in pieces and yells and the clashing of swords echoed all through the war room. They fought like animals.

Killing his way through the carnage, Isaac immediately rushes up the stairs and heads straight towards Dracula's study, practically stumbling in as he gets his master's attention. "Dracula!"

"Did we meet resistance at Braila?" The red-eyed Vampire King asked.

"We are betrayed at Braila. I do not recognize their colours, but the castle is invaded by vampire soldiers." Isaac says to him, reporting on the invasion.

"What colours do they wear?" Dracula questioned as he turned to face him.

"Black, with white trim." Isaac told him.

"That is the livery of Styria." Dracula says as he rose from his chair and walked over to Isaac. "Carmilla has made her move." As soon as he spoke the castle shook and rumbled around them. As if it were trying to move. "What was that?" Isaac asked.

"I'm...not sure. Do we have anyone left loyal to us?" Dracula said.

"There is a pitched battle in the main hall. I gathered about a dozen more on my way up there. They're outside." Isaac tells him.

"Then we go downstairs, Isaac. Nobody takes my castle from me." Dracula says. He would deal with Carmill's betrayal later, for now, he must deal with the unpretentious insignificant lowlifes that dare to attack his castle. Meanwhile, Sypha's spell moves all around the castle as she attempts to move it. It rumbles and fades in and out of existence, but, as if it held a mind of its own, the castle refused to move under her command.

"It's fighting me. It's like I'm pulling against an anchor and a water wheel all at once." Sypha grunts as she tries to maintain her control on the castle, but it was putting much more resistance than she ever would've imagined. "He moves the castle using an engine. That's what's acting against you." Alucard told her. A crash echoed from above upstairs and the last demon Trevor was fighting snarled as it flew down to get to Sypha, Miri and Alucard.  "Shit." Trevor cursed as he swiftly grabbed the Morning Star. Alucard and Miri were ready to attack it but Trevor manages to kill it with a single stroke of Morning Star, Alucard shielded Miri with his body as the demon erupted into a fiery explosion. Sypha gathers an electrical ball of energy in her hands and slams down on it. Putting all of her magic into it.

Dracula walks with Isaac and his forces towards the war hall as he prepares to enter battle but stops when he realizes that magic is afoot in the castle. The device which controls the castle's movement begins to overheat as the massive gears that surrounds it gets engulfed by blue flames. "Do as you're told!" Sypha commanded. Once forcing her magic on the device, Sypha's spell begins to transport the castle around Braila, including into the river itself. The consecrated water displaces from the river and flows through the town.

The water kills a large portion of Carmilla's forces in the city and she is forced to save herself, Silvanus and Hector from the flood. Inside the castle, the water flows through the hallways and kills soldiers from both Dracula's and Carmilla's forces. They landed safely in the town just as the castle finally disappears with a huge gust of wind blowing through, creating a brief but powerful whirlwind. Amidst the commotion, Hector had managed to get Silvanus away from Carmilla, holding him tightly as the wind roared around them. When the winds died down and upon looking up, Carmilla and Hector were left in astonishment when they saw that the castle truly has disappeared. Recovering first, Carmilla asks, "What the fuck just happened?"

The device was going berserk as it spun out of control as the flames continued to grow around the room. It continued to go insane as it gave in to Sypha's command and teleported the castle to the Belmont Estate. The library shook and trembled as Sypha stepped back from the mirror, smiling proudly at what she did. "Ha! I did it!" She said. Alucard straightens the mirror as Miri looks up at the roof nervously. 

"Where did you land the castle, Sypha?" Alucard asks as he gives her a look.

"Right on top of us!" Sypha says proudly until the roof creaks and she registered what she said. "Above us....the castle is....right on top of us?" Miri asked as she grows a bit worried about the possibility that the castle would fall right through and crush them. "Oh. Mmm, yes. I landed it on the surface, right above this underground space that's probably only held up by wood and dirt." Sypha said, now realising the slight error she made. She cleared her throat and said, "Let's go." And walks off. Miri goes to follow her but stopped when she noticed that Alucard was by the mirror, narrowing his eyes at the castle. She walked over to him and reached for his hand. Alucard didn't turn to her but he did give her hand a small squeeze before they ran to catch up with the others. The fight against his father and the salvation of all humanity is about to begin.

Chapter 17: The Fight with the Vampire King

Chapter Text

Play this when you reach a certain point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_Q1rXhHL6g

 

The full moon lit up the night sky, bringing a small glimmer of light to cut through the everlasting darkness as Dracula's castle oversaw the Belmont Estate. The entrance slowly opened, releasing the water out into the forest. Inside the battle between Carmilla's forces and Dracula continues. While the armies fought amongst themselves, Dracula straggles the life out of the ebony and ivory clad soldier. His eyes gazed up and his eyes glowed a devilish red colour. That's when the beautiful white moon turned a horrifying crimson red, bathing the world in its colour. The colour of blood. He knew where he was and he knew who was coming. But it was of no concern for him. Let them come. He'll dispatch them himself.

Alucard, Miri and Sypha prepare to leave the library and met up with Trevor in the other room, but they found that the staircase was in complete shambles. The attack, whether or not was the intention, destroyed the staircases. Keeping them from going either up or down. "The staircase is a wreck. We're not getting up there without ropes. Start looking." Trevor says as he re-equips his weapons, plus half of the spear he took from that blind demon and picks up his sword.

"Damn. This is gonna be hard." Trevor said as he looks up the distance between them. Sypha and Miri looked at each other and nodded. "We don't need ropes. Here we go." Sypha said. With a few strokes of their hands, the Speaker and Gipsy created a column of ice and uses to raise them to ground level. The journey upward was met in silence. And for good reason. They've spoken about it. They've fought monsters from it. They've searched for weaknesses for it.  But...now that they were so close to the castle...it was almost unnerving. Daunting, really. In just a few short moments, the team will be right outside its door and hell would be greeting them.

Whether they were ready for this fight or not didn't matter. They just needed to do this. As they rose to the world above, Trevor glanced over and saw, surviving the wreckage, the portrait of Leon Belmont. He stared at the painting's eyes and gripped the Morning star. Trevor was going to fight for his family's honour and protect the innocent. He won't let Dracula leave the castle alive.

Miri looked up, expecting the see the millions of stars, but instead was greeted by the crimson red sky. Her heart pounded inside her chest as she remembered her child self. How that little girl was so terrified of the dark. How at the slightest sound caused her to tremble and hide away under her blanket so the monsters wouldn't find her. How she cried and begged her father to keep them away. That little girl had been so afraid of the darkness and everything that it held, but after five years, she had grown. She was no longer afraid of the dark. For she held the power to fight back. She would no longer run away from it. No more would she cower before the unknown.

Miri let out a breath as she tried to steady her heart. Alucard looked over her and reached out to hold her hand. It was only then that Miri realised just how much she was shaking. She turned to Alucard, who in turn, gave her a small smile. Giving her hand a slight squeeze. Miri's heart swelled as she stared into his eyes. Finding comfort in him. Miri now fully understood how she felt for him. She moved her hand so that her fingers laced together with his. Alucard felt it too. Many emotions swirled within him as he continued to look at her. He had questioned it several times but remember what Sypha had said to him, made him understand. He recognised his feelings and he accepted them.

Trevor watched them from the sidelines and he took note of the way they were staring at each other. His eyes fell upon the younger girl and, suddenly, felt a deep sadness. Sad, that she wasn't looking at him that way. That she was no longer finding comfort in him. But seeing her smile like that...he decided that maybe it was for the best. So he smiled, without any restrictions holding him back. When their forms became bathed with the crimson light, they knew they had arrived.

 After they step off, Sypha sends the ice column flying into the forest, creating a loud crash in the distance. When she did, Trevor turned to her with a look. "Well, I didn't want to leave it in there to melt and ruin all your beautiful books." Sypha said.

"It seems damp enough out here as it is." Alucard pointed out as he motioned towards the soaked earth. Miri turned her and pointed off to the side. "Oh! But look!" She said. The others turned around and they lay eyes on Dracula's castle. Miri suppressed a shiver. It seemed to be more nightmarish up close. "You did it, Sypha." Trevor said.

"Yes, but seeing it is something else entirely." She said. "I'm pretty good, right?"

"You're the best." Trevor told her with a smile before turning his attention to the blonde-haired Dhampir. "Alucard. Are you ready for this?" He asked.

*Play music*

"No. But let's put an end to this anyway." Alucard said as he gripped his sword and he and his comrades make their way for the entrance. Dracula and Carmilla's forces continue to battle inside but everyone froze still. Not letting out a single breath or making any sudden movements when they noticed the arrival of Trevor, Sypha, Miri and Alucard. The last Belmont unhooks his whip as he gives out the battle orders. "I terrify them, Sypha disorients them, Miri shoots them down, Alucard goes over the top and we support him."

"Yes." Sypha says as she readies her magic.

"As you wish." Miri replied as she summons her bow.

Alucard unsheathes his sword while his scabbard is in midair. The sword quickly floats above his right shoulder. "Begin." He says. At his word, his comrades rushed forward. Both armies ceased their squabble and turned to fight our heroes. As a few Vampires leapt into the air, Trevor uses the Morning Star to kill one of them and, as expected, exploded in a blaze of glory. Causing the rest of the Vampires to scatter about. But Trevor didn't stop there. With excellent skills, he cut down two more Vampires before Sypha produces a wall of fire between them and the Vampiric Forces.

Alucard and Miri rushed towards the fire to gain a surprise attack. Miri levitated high above the fire and floated above them. As she readies her arrow, it glowed brightly. Narrowing her eye, she released it. Flying through the air, the arrow suddenly erupted into multiple ones and flew in different directions. Purposely missing the Vampires and piercing any unfortunate who got in its way. Alucard jumped through the flames and as he lands on the other side he had transformed into a white wolf. He speedily ran right past the soldiers and jumped on one of Carmilla's soldiers. Biting into his neck with his mighty jaws, pulling him down before flinging him away. Sending his body to slam against the stone walls before falling to the ground, dead.

Alucard faced the rest of the Vampires and growled at them. One soldier, armed with a spear, rushed in to attack him. But Alucard jumped up to avoid the attack and jumped up at him, and before the soldier could attack him again, Alucard's eyes glowed red and his sword came flying in and severing the Vampire's arm off. Alucard caught the blade in his mouth and flung it. Stabbing the Vampire right through the jugular. Alucard turned back into his human form and Miri floated back down. She fired her arrows as Alucard fought close-combat beside her, his sword flying and striking down the Vampires around them.

Miri glanced at the floor and got an idea. She stood perfectly still and she blew out freezing winds. Casting ice across the room around them. She then raised her hand, bring forth multiple spears and spikes of ice. Sypha brought down the firewall and she and Trevor continued their attack.

Miri fired off her ice, striking a few of the forces before two decided to attack her at the same time. Miri grasped her pendant and used its magic to shove both creatures away. She looks in between them as they began to circle her. With a yell, Miri used her ice magic to aim spikes at one of them, impaling him against the wall. Her eyes narrowed as she sensed the other's movements, she swiftly turned around and pushed an ice wall towards him. The Vampire's eyes widened and pushed up against the wall, he tried to keep it from moving but with one final push from Miri, the Vampire was crushed by the ice.

Miri quickly around when she sensed another Vampire coming at her. She was about to fire her arrow when a solid sheet of ice suddenly rose from beneath them and slice the Vampire in half. Miri and Sypha smiled at each other as they ran forward. Trevor was fighting for his own. Against one Vampire who came at him with a spear, he proved to be a better fighter in comparison to the others as he kept him at bay. Trevor made several attempts for the Morning Star to touch him but the Vampire was able to block most of his attacks. So he tried a different approached. He unravelled the chain until is surrounded the Vampire, one tug and he was tied up. Trevor then ran up and forced the tip of the Morning Star into his mouth. With seconds left with his life, Trevor kicked the Vampire away and back to his "friends". The Vampire head and face began to glow and bubble up from the inside out. As his head began to bloat up, the Vampires that were around him were killed in the ensuing explosion.

Alucard looked around and saw that they had killed nearly all of the Vampires and Dracula's generals. But few remained. He took notice of a strange mist rolling in. It swirled around him as it rose and one of the Vampire generals appeared before him. She launches her mist at the Dhampir but he used his extraordinary speed to avoid it and teleported right behind her. He swiped his sword at her head.

But she didn't even flinch. Blood did not spill. Instead, the Vampiress smirked as her whole body had turned to mist and faded away. Leaving Alucard opened for an ambush. Another Vampiress yelled out from above and tried to attack him with her claws. Alucard released his sword and it levitated behind him to stop the attack, but while he was distracted her, another of the Vampire Generals flew in and gave a solid punch to Alucard's jaw. Sending him colliding against a pillar and knocking his sword away from him.

As Alucard got back up and his feet, the Vampiress of the mist formed, towering over him. Before she could have a chance to attack him, a freezing wind had blown in a froze her in solid ice. Miri let out a yell as she slams her hands together, destroying the ice and killing the Vampiress along with it. Sypha joined her side as Trevor rushed to fight against the remaining two Vampires with Alucard joining him, taking his sword. The two women raised their hands and created a pillar of ice to help shoot up Trevor up towards them. Trevor cracks the Morning Star towards the Vampires, kicking at the chain so that it would come right back. Wrapping itself around of the general's legs and the other Vampiress narrowly avoided the Morning Star's tip, but she was quickly dealt with when Alucard and decapitated her.

Trevor gripped his weapon and forced the general down where Sypha rushed in and gripped his head, burning him alive. Soon, all the vampires and Dracula's generals are dead but as they were preparing to go find Dracula, the four soon find themselves facing night creatures. Didn't matter. They rushed right at them.

Dracula and Isaac retreat into the vampire lord's study, fighting off Carmilla's forces as they go. Isaac engages in a brief sword with one soldier before he took his own sword and burying it deep in his body. He staggered a bit before slumping down the railing. That was then Isaac saw the castle's newest guests. He caught glimpses of Trevor, Sypha and Miri, but he got a full view of Alucard. The latter staring up at him with a look of genuine shock and confusion before glaring at him and lunging his sword. Isaac took the body of the Vampire he killed and used it as a shield to protect himself. He then tossed the body aside, letting it burn away to ash as he rejoined his master who had just ripped out the heart of another soldier and crushing it in hand.

"Your son is here." Isaac told him.

"Alucard has entered the castle?" Dracula asked.

"And two woman who stinks of magic. And a hunter." Isaac said. Dracula's eyes widen slightly at the word 'hunter'. Seems that a Belmont has survived and has come to take his head. "To your study." Isaac tells him. Once they ran into the study, Isaac arms himself with his knife and stood protectively in front of his master and only friend. "Behind me, Dracula. They will not reach you while I live." He told him.

"You would give your mortal life to preserve my immortal one?" Dracula questioned.

"To save your genius, your knowledge, and your will? Without question. I am just a Forgemaster. Yours is the wisdom of ages." Isaac says with undying loyalty.

"You are the greatest of your people, Isaac. You have a soul, I think. Perhaps that is more valuable to the world to come than a dusty collection of books and apparatus. Or perhaps you simply deserve a better fate than to die instead of me." Dracula says as the pieces of his magic mirror began to move and form themselves together. He was marvelled that Isaac would sacrifice his own mortal life for the sake of Dracula's immortal one, Dracula says his faithful servant has a soul, and perhaps that is more worthy of saving.

"I choose my death as I chose my life." Isaac says, undaunted and unaware of what Dracula was planning to do. It was like Dracula said, Isaac was his friend. Which is why he didn't want him to die by his son's or his comrades' hands. The mirror formed and it showed the image of a desert. "Then I regret only that I have taken a choice for you." Dracula replied. Dracula seizes Isaac and hurls him through it, teleporting him away from the castle. "No! Dracula! No!" Isaac screams in protest and tries to run back to the portal, but Dracula waves farewell and closes the portal before Isaac could reach it, leaving him alone and bereft in the desert.

Dracula turns from the mirror and faces Alucard. His son, sword in hand.

"Father." He said.

"Son." Dracula greeted.

"Your war is over." Alucard stated.

"Because you say so?" He asked.

"At ends in the name of my mother."

"It endures in the name of your mother."

"I told you before, I won't let you do it. I grieve with you but I won't let you commit genocide." Alucard told him.

"You couldn't stop me before." Dracula pointed out. How exactly does his son thinks he can stop him since he couldn't do so before. "I was alone before." Alucard told him. Dracula's unspoken question was answered when Trevor, Sypha and Miri rejoined at his side. Ready to fight with him. As a team. As friends. Though, Miri blinked when she sensed something within Dracula's soul.

Gripping his sword, Alucard rushed towards his father and slamming him against the fireplace. Creating tremours around the study, forming cracks on the walls and knocking books and Lisa's portraits to the ground. Alucard bared his fangs as he tried to force his sword into his father, but he held it away with nothing but his fingers. Dracula glared down at his son as he began walking forward, forcing Alucard back. He took back his sword and began swinging but with each strike, Dracula dodged them. He grabbed his wrists and punched him, facefirst into the fire.

"Sir Alucard!" Miri cried out as she fired an arrow at the Vampire King as Trevor rushed at him. Dracula caught the arrow and broke it between his fingers. He bent at the knees, breaking through the floorboards as he struck Trevor in the stomach and slammed him against the wall, taking the fight out in the hall. Trevor fell to his knees and he coughed up blood. Before Dracula could anything else to him, he was hit by both a raging fire and merciless ice. Sypha and Miri used their magic to fight against him. "Speaker magician!" He said as he recognised who Sypha was.

He broke through the ice and violently shoved Miri out of the way as he attacked Sypha. Barreling through the fire. Sypha tried to defend herself with her ice but Dracula used his claws to break through and slash at her arm. Sypha was knocked back and blood seeps out of her wound. Trevor's eyes widened as he glared at the demon in front of him. "Sypha!" He called out.

He ran towards Dracula, turning him around and began to repeatedly punch him. But hits to the face or stomach, Dracula did not react. He merely stood there, unmoving and unaffected as he stared down at the man. "You must be the Belmont." He mused as he delivered a solid punch to Trevor's stomach before gripping his neck, holding him up. "The end of your line." Dracula said as he raised his hand, preparing to kill Trevor right there and then but was stopped when Alucard came and stabbed his sword through his arms. Then Miri and Sypha both rushed in and fired their magic directly at him. Setting him ablaze and freezing him until ice decorated him. Dracula grunted and struggled in pain, taking some type of injury but the attacks halted when the flames and ice nearly hit Alucard.

Dracula glowed and his eyes glowed red. He knocked Sypha, sending her crashing against the walls. He delivered a punch towards Miri, sending her flying down the hall and punched Alucard away from him. Making him fly behind him. Trevor got back up and took the broken spear from his belt and rushed in to stab him, but it did nothing to stop him. Even with all four of them attacking, Dracula was more than a match for the four of them, shrugging off each of their attacks but taking some injuries. The others struggled to get up as Sypha rips off her torn sleeve and used her fire to sear the wound on her arm closed.

Trevor attacked Dracula with quick strikes but the Vampire King dodges him. He saw that Sypha was about to use her fire magic again, he grabbed Trevor's wrist and hurled him towards her, knocking the two back. Miri breathed heavily as took off her hooded cloak. She transformed her bow in a spear and ran towards Dracula just as Alucard knocked him against the wall. Dracula stared down at his son as he placed his hands together and slammed him down, creating a crevasse on the stone floor. Alucard shot up his head and pushed his arms away and struck at his neck. Miri jumped and stabbed him through the back with her spear. Dracula staggered but her grabbed a fistful of Miri's black hair and used his powers to shove her and Alucard away.

Sypha used her ice magic to form sharp spikes to pin Dracula's leg. Trevor then unhook his whip and cracked it right towards him. Making a direct strike with the Morningstar. It struck him and the resulted as an immediate explosion. Everyone shielded their eyes as the smoke flowed around them. Silence was met and they each held their breath as they waited for the smoke to clear. But their hopes were dashed as Dracula stood, unharmed. Even a direct strike with the Morning Star didn't kill him, although it does wound him as he fell to his knees.

"The Morningstar Whip...well played, Belmont. But I am no ordinary vampire to be killed by your human magics. I am Vlad Dracula Ţepeş, AND I HAVE HAD ENOUGH!" Dracula bellowed as he conjures a gigantic ball of magma and sends it rolling towards them. Sypha and Miri used their magic to keep from getting closer with Trevor placing his hands on their backs, planting his feet to keep them from being pushed back. Alucard swiftly steps in front of them and pierced his sword against the ball of magma. It took all of their combined strength to turn it back creating an explosion that drives Dracula and Alucard through the wall, leaving a burning hole that forces Trevor and Sypha to find a different route to help Alucard.

Miri was going to follow them when she spotted Alucard's sword on the floor. Her eyes widen as she stared into the damaged wall. She picked up his sword and without even thinking she softly whispered "Adrian" and ran into the burning hole, going in after him. Dracula and his son continue to fight throughout the castle, smashing through walls and rooms as they combat each other. They roared as they fought each other like ferocious animals fighting for dominance. Using all the strength they had to pummel the other. Brutalising each other. This war has brought nothing but pain and suffering. Enough so, that it has caused Dracula to completely forget about the lessons Lisa had taught him about kindness, compassion and love. He has also forgotten about the only thing he had left. The last gift Lisa had ever given him.

Crashing through another part of the castle, Alucard breathed heavily as he let out a gasp as his father appeared behind him. He grabbed a nearby wooden stake and upon seeing it, the Vampire King laughed at this pathetic idea. "You mean to stake me?" His son was such a fool for trying to stop him.

"You want me to." Alucard said.

"What?" Dracula questioned.

"You didn't kill me before. You're not going to kill me now. You want this to end as much as I do." Alucard responded.

"DO I?!" Dracula bellowed as he raised his foot to stomp in an attempt to smash in Alucard's head, but the Dhampir quickly moved out of the way. "You died when my mother died, you know you did. This entire catastrophe has been nothing but history's longest suicide note!" Alucard shouted at he lunges and stabs his father through the chest, but unfortunately, misses his heart.

 "Not quite close enough." Dracula says as he strikes him through the wall again.

Miri uses her magic to fly herself through the chaos Alucard and his father left behind. Frantically trying to find him and help him. This needed to end. Right now. The despair, the constant screams of loneliness and agony that Miri sensed was so powerful, she was close to bursting into tears. This war and everything that had happened was pointless!! She shot her head up as she heard the sounds of a battle and realised that Alucard was just above her. "Adrian..." Miri said as she floated up.

 Alucard smashed through the wall but Dracula didn't give him a chance to regain his footing. He continuously threw him through wall after wall after wall. Dracula grabbed Alucard by the collar and raised his fist to ram it into his face again, however, this time, Alucard fought back. He blocked the blow and used his foot to kick Dracula in the stomach. Alucard used his Vampire abilities to fly and the two continued to bite and scratch and punch at one another.

Dracula grabbed Alucard by the hair and punched him towards the brick wall, he broke through the wall and fell to the ground. Alucard's strength was failing him and he had no more power left within him to fight his father, bruises were all over his body and face. Dracula advanced towards his son and repeatedly began to punch him.

Miri arrived and her eyes widened in horror at the scene before her. She quickly flew over and summoned an ice wall to protect him but Dracula destroyed it and the two crashed into another room with the sword flying out Miri's hand. Dracula entered and Alucard scrambled backwards. Wounded, he can barely stand. He glanced at Miri, shocked that she was here and quickly placed himself in front to protect her as Dracula began to walk towards him.

As his father prepares to finish him off...Dracula stopped. His red eyes widened. His vision clears and he realizes where he is. They were in a bedroom. But not just any bedroom. It was Alucard's bedroom when he was a child. " It's your room." Dracula said. Dracula didn't advance towards Alucard, instead, he just stood there with wide eyes, staring around the dimly lit room. Though there was barely any light, he could still see the little drawings Alucard had drawn when he was a child. The little writings. The journals. the storybooks neatly placed on the shelf. Every little thing was left exactly the way it was before. Untouched and undisturbed by time. Alucard's eyes also widen in realization once he saw where they are.

Dracula brought his hands up as if trying to hold an imaginary child, he held himself as he spoke a broken voice, "My boy. I'm...I...I'm killing my boy." He began to stagger in his steps as he walked over to a family portrait. Him, his beloved wife, Lisa, and of course, the greatest gift she'd ever given him. Adrian. Their baby boy, smiling innocently as they held him in their arms. "Lisa...I'm killing our boy. We painted this room, we...made these toys. It's our boy, Lisa. Your greatest gift to me, and I'm killing him." The room still carries the colours he and Lisa lovingly painted, and the toys they hand-crafted for their baby boy.

Alucard heavily panted as he took a piece of his old bed frame and ripped out a makeshift wooden stake. He whispers that of all the gifts Lisa gave to him, the one even more precious than her love was their son - and now he is doing his utmost to destroy that gift. Seeing a portrait of himself, Lisa and Adrian on the wall, Dracula finally grasps the depths of his own madness. The awful realisation, the horrible realisation of his selfish actions. He had harmed his son, caused him to go into a deep sleep for a year. And here he was again, harming his only child again, trying to murder him for his wife. What had he become? An empty shell of a man who once felt real emotions? A man who once loved his son and would do anything for him the second he saw those innocent eyes.

"....I must already be dead." Dracula said. Realizing what he has become, Dracula admits Adrian is right: he died when Lisa did, and all he wants is for it to be over. Alucard approached his father with tears stinging his eyes as he stood before the man who had raised him alongside his mother. Alucard knew if he didn't kill Dracula right then and there, in that split instant, that he wouldn't have the strength to do it later. The entire scene of his father sobbing and realising his wrongs tore Alucard's heart apart, ripping it to shreds and leaving nothing behind.

Miri stood up and shed tears for the two standing before her. The pain. The pain was so great, she clenched at her chest as she felt her heart beginning to break apart inside. The minute her eyes laid on the Vampire King, she knew that she had sensed something. She didn't sense evil or cruelty as she had first believed she would. She sensed the overwhelming sadness and despair. He was consumed in by grief, sorrow and darkness by the death of his beloved Lisa.

His very grievance turned to madness. A rabid dog that needs to be put down so he won't have to suffer any longer. The very moment Dracula lost Lisa, all he was doing was waiting for the gun but no one was worthy to wield it but his own son. She was sure Alucard never wanted this to happen either. Despite all that has happened, she sensed that he still loved his father more than anything. As he was growing up, she was sure he saw him as an intelligent, respectable, and honourable man. A hero in his eyes.

Dracula lowers his hands and offers no resistance as Alucard stabs his father in the chest with the wooden stake. This time, Alucard's aim is true, and the stake goes straight through his heart and out his back. That was enough for Miri to fall onto her knees as she cried for them. Dracula's flesh begins to melt away, and he whispers, "Son..." Tears of blood fell from his eyes. Alucard whispers back, "Father..." Tears swelled in his eyes as he looked at him. Trevor and Sypha rush into the room just as the dying Dracula reaches out to his son one last time as if to embrace him, and Trevor decapitates Dracula.

"Alucard. Step back." Sypha says kindly as she raised her hand. "Let me finish this." Alucard said nothing as his gaze was locked onto his father's corpse, taking a few steps back and gripped his childhood bed. Miri looked up at Alucard and sprang up to her feet to embrace him as Sypha finishes their task by incinerating the corpse. Waves of shadow-like ghosts rose from the flames, a thousand wails of agony rang through the halls of the castle before escaping and dissipating into nothingness.  Leaving nothing of Dracula behind except his wedding ring.

"Is Is that it?" Sypha asked.

"Alucard? Did we do it?" Trevor questioned.

"We did. I...killed my father." Alucard said.

"You ended a war on humankind. Don't get weepy about it."  Trevor said, flinching when Miri shot him a disapproving look. Sypha walked up and tried to say something more meaningful. "Trevor's right. You've saved countless lives. But it's all right to mourn the man, too." She said.

Alucard let out a sigh as he gazed Miri. He caressed her cheek as he said with a sorrow-filled smile. "He died a long time ago."

Descending the castle steps, the four of them exit into the bright sunlight.

Chapter 18: End Times

Chapter Text

Sometime later, Alucard moves through the ruins of Dracula's Castle lamenting the wreckage caused by the fight with his father. Setting small things back in place. Picking up some shattered glass. And kicking away a decade bone from one of the Vampiric soldiers. He then found himself at one of the many libraries and gazed into a broken mirror. "We really messed up the old house, didn't we?" He said sadly to himself.

Meanwhile, after having their injuries patched up, Trevor, Miri and Sypha explore the castle, marvelling at the engineering that underpins the castle. "So much like the engines and things we saw under Gresit." Sypha said with amazement as she took in the machines and equipment the castle held within its walls. "Alucard must have learned it all at his daddy's knee. It's incredible, really." Trevor said as they continued on their way. Miri followed silently behind.

"It's the true science. My people heard the stories, but didn't quite hold on to the truth of them." Sypha said as they walked down the main entrance.

"Less damage than I would have thought. Apart from the mess in that little room he showed us." Trevor said.

"Yes, the engine room that moves the castle. I cannot imagine how that worked." Sypha said.

Well, it doesn't work anymore. You melted it." Trevor pointed out.

"I didn't melt anything. It must have....been straining against the spell." Sypha said. Birds flew out from the rafters of the castle and Sypha turned to the younger girl behind them. She hadn't said a single word once Dracula's body was reduced to ash. The two stopped and the short-haired woman asked, "Miri? Are you alright?"

Miri raised her head and looked at them with sad eyes. "What do you suppose he's going to do now?" She asked. Obviously talking about Alucard. Speaking of whom,

"I had a plan, you know." Alucard said as he walked down the steps. "I was going to go back to Gresit, return to my vault, go back to sleep."

"But?" Trevor urged.

"If I leave the castle here. All his work is inside it. His libraries, his materials, his knowledge. What happens to all that if the structure is abandoned? I can't just leave it here. It'd be nothing but a grave to be robbed." Alucard said with a saddened voice. Unwilling to allow the castle to be abandoned as he looked up at his companions. "So, let it be my grave."

"No." Trevor said as he has another suggestion for him.

"No?" Alucard questioned.

"No. We can't move this thing. Sypha broke it." Trevor said.

"I did not!" Sypha exclaimed.

"You kind of did." Alucard said.

"I do not break things." Sypha said, crossing her arms.

"But it doesn't appear to be fixable any time soon." Miri said.

"-So, we're agreed she broke it." Trevor said.

"Oh, yes." "Completely demolished, yes." Alucard and Miri said in agreement.

"So it's staying right here, forever, right on top of the Belmont Hold. Which is now also open to the world. Up here, your father's collected knowledge. Down there, the collected knowledge of your mother's people. As above, so below. Both halves of you, Alucard." Trevor said.

"I'm listening." Alucard said as he tilted his head slightly. Trevor walked up to his side and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Behold, you sulky, half-vampire bastard." He said before dramatically presented his family's trove. "I bequeath you the Belmont Hold. Make that and the castle your home, not your grave. Be its last defender." Miri's eyes widen in surprise and she smiled gave a bright smile at the last Hunter. "Trevor..." She said as she clasped her hands.

"You're...giving me your home?" Alucard asked in genuine wonderment.

"It's yours. My childhood home and your childhood home. Protect it. Make something out of it. Something better than a pile of ruins and a symbol of terror." Trevor tells him. Alucard stared at him as he gave a smile and nodded. Accepting the idea. Miri walked up to him and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder as she and Sypha smiled at him.

Meanwhile, somewhere in the desert, Isaac sits at an oasis in the desert drinking water when he is approached by five men on horseback. "Keep moving. I'm not in the mood." He tells them. But they stop away and began eyeing him like he was some type of unknown species. "Oh, what do we have here? Ah, it's thirsty, whatever it is. Don't drink the entire pool." The Desert Traveller said. Appears he's the leader of this group.

"There is enough water for all." Isaac says as he continues to drink from the oasis.

"Oh, I don't care about "all". I only care about us." The Desert Traveller said.

"There will be plenty for you after I'm gone." Isaac tells him.

"Well, perhaps we want it all." The traveller says as he and his men approached him.

"Yes, you probably do. Your kind always does." Isaac said as he rose to his feet to face them.

"I think the desert has left us a little gift, don't you?" The Desert Traveller asked his men as he and two more pulled out their swords. "Put a rope around it, drag it behind us. Perhaps we can sell it at the next town. Unless we get hungry between now and then, I suppose." Isaac was unfazed by their weapon, not caring about the man's "threat". "Is that really the best you have? Your best response to finding a lone stranger drinking at an oasis? Call him "it", and immediately draw plans to sell him or eat him." He says.

The men glanced at each other and the Desert Traveller cruelly chuckled. "You don't matter. You don't deserve my best. You're just some drifting clump of shit I discovered on the road, and I'll do with you as I wish. Only I and my friends here matter. You are simply meat."

"I'm not human?" Isaac questioned as a smirked at him.

"Oh, I'm sure you're human, sir philosopher of the water hole. I simply don't care." He said.

"Me neither." Issac said. He takes out his knife and engages in brutal combat with the horsemen. He easily killed the leader before his friends could even blink or realised what he had done. He then pounced on another man. Digging his thumb deep into the man's eye before stabbing him in the neck. One of them tried to attack, but Isaac took out his spiked whip and wrapped it around the man's face. With one strong tug, Isaac savagely ripped out nearly face of the man's face and his whole nose, revealing the muscle and flesh from underneath. The last two had tried to fight him, but Isaac had fought and killed several Vampire's within his master's castle, so these feeble-minded humans were nothing compared to them. So they were easily killed by Isaac.

Later that night, Isaac was finally able to sit in peace. Cooking and eating some meat while the remaining four horses eat their fill of the few grass patches that were in the desert. Isaac laid his head against the tree as he gazed over at the men's corpses. Once he finished his food, he stood up and walked over the deceased traveller. "I simply don't have time to deal with shit like you every time I want to sit and take a drink. And, I am a Forgemaster. So I don't need to." He said as he had an idea. "I could have an army of my own. I might like an army." This world was nothing but cold and cruel, filled with selfish and untrustworthy humans. Nothing about them. was redeemable...so why not wage his own war against humanity? That's what Isaac thought as he stabs his knife into his attackers. Resurrecting them into night creatures as the start of his own army.

*Back with the other, near the Belmont Estate*

Sypha and Trevor walk through the forest, finally enjoying the first sense of peace since this whole mess started. Miri wanted to go along and see the beauty of nature but said for them to enjoy it while she said behind. Though Trevor had a feeling there was a reason why she stayed back. During their walk, Trevor asked Sypha whether she will rejoin the Speakers' caravan.

"I want to rejoin my caravan. This is a story that should be read into our memory stores. But after that, I don't know." Sypha says. 

"You'll travel with them, surely." Trevor tells her. "Go back to your old life."

"I don't know." Sypha says as, in a rush of excitement, she says she doesn't want to stay with them and resume her "old" life. "Since I met you, I've come back from a living death, I've fought demons in the city square at Gresit, I've stopped a raiding force from reaching Arges, I've discovered forgotten spells in the greatest hidden library in Europe, and I've trapped a castle that uses magic engines to move from place to place, and pinned it to the ruins of the Belmont home. Why would I want to stop now?"

"Go on." Trevor says as he continued walking on ahead. Sypha quickly ran and caught up with him. "Look, we know at least some of Dracula's army landed at Braila. Are the night hordes just going to go home?" She questioned.

"Well, no."

"But And what about the church? We've both seen how corrupt and twisted it is. And who knows what else is happening out there? What then?" Sypha asked.

"Well, what then?" Trevor asked.

"Then we're not finished, are we? And I don't want to stop." Sypha says.

"Stop what, for God's sake?" Trevor says with an exasperated sigh.

"This! What we're doing. And it's good for you, too." Sypha said.

"Okay. How on Earth did you come to that decision?" Trevor asked the two found themselves staring off into the wide lands of trees and mountains near a cliff.

"When I met you, you reeked of piss, blood, and stale beer. You killed a monster largely by accident and probably would've died if Miri wasn't there with you." Sypha said.

"Hey, that took serious skills on MY end." Trevor stated.

"And then demanded alcohol before storming off like a toddler with a thistle up his back end." Sypha said.

"Right, h-how does that even-?"

"Shh." She shushed him. "And now, in the short time we have known each other, you have rediscovered yourself, and you've grown. Today might be the first time I felt like I was talking to an adult man. You're better than you were when I met you. I finally understand how, and why, Miri holds you in high respect. Do you know why I think that is? It's because you're doing what you were born for. As insane as it sounds, this entire nightmare scenario has made you complete. I think you should see it through. With me...and Miri." She told him.

"With you guys?" He questioned.

"Yes, you could be our handsome sidekick. Or mascot. Imagine that. If you didn't talk much, people would think you were our deformed pet bear and throw you free food." She joked. Well, mostly.

"Sypha."

"Yes, Trevor?"

The last of the Belmonts slumps onto the ground and asks her, "You're asking me to roam the countryside and get into horrible trouble because you think it's good for me? And by the way...Miri isn't going to come with us."

"What? Why not?" Sypha asked.

Trevor closed his eyes and let out a dejected sigh. He thought back to that freezing night when he passed out drunk. Anyone else who had seem would've shaken their heads and leave him out there to either freeze or get eaten by wild animals. But then she came... Miri, a girl who had no idea who he was at the time, and dragged him into that warm hut. Gave him warmth, food and helped with his hangover. Even she learned who he was, Miri continued to be the one person to treat him with nothing but genuine kindness and compassion. The one to give him a gentle touch. The one to truly care for his well-being. The one person to treat him like an actual human being and wanting nothing in return. The only one to thank him and his family for protecting humanity.

Miri was the one person to help remind him of who he was and bring back his heroic nature to protect the innocent and carry on his family's legacy. He used to see her as just a sweet kid...but lately, his feelings began to change. He'd only wished that he recognised them sooner. "Trevor?" Sypha called out, taking him out of his thoughts.

"It's just a hunch, but Miri isn't going to come along with us. She's going to stay behind and protect both the castle and the Hold with Alucard. I know...she's going to choose him. And not me." He said.

Sypha's eyes widened in realisation and cautiously asked him, "Are you saying...that you were falling in love with Miri?"

Trevor hung his head. "I guess I was. But I hadn't even realised it until the very last minute...so now, it's too late. I know she's going to choose him instead." Trevor lifted his head but a smile was spread across his lips. "But I don't care. Miri went through hell all alone for five years, I'll continue to love her, and if he's the one who's going to make her happy...if he's going to be the one to make her smile then that's more than enough for me."

Sypha smiled at him. He really had grown up. Now she understands why Miri admired so much. Sypha sat down beside him and responded, "In that case, listen to what I'm really saying, Trevor. I'm saying I want you to be with me and I want you to have adventures with me."

"This is the closest thing I've had to a life in I don't know when." Trevor sighed. "And you and Miri were the closest I've had to a friend." Sypha holds out her hand, and asked, "So, will you come with me?" After a moment he takes it, admitting, "I wouldn't know where else to go or who else to be with."

"Good." She said. Taking his arm and laying her head on his shoulder. Trevor stiffed up a bit but he gradually got used to it and smiled at her. "Where to, first?" He asks.

"After we find my people, I think we should see Braila." She says, then she glanced up at the magnificent sunset lighting up the autumn trees in the valley. "But let's stay here just a little longer."

*Elsewhere*

Most of Braila was in ruins. Half of the homes and buildings were burned to the ground and the streets were laid desolate. Though there were many corpses scattered about, there were survivors as well. Hiding in the shadows from the sunlight and townspeople, Hector sat with Silvanus as he began to teach him how to write. His name was a start. "No, no. Your name has a V in it. Here, see?" He said as he corrected it. Silvanus tilted his head and nodded in understanding. Hector smiled at him but it quickly faded when a door open beside them and a horrid, familiar voice asked, "Is the sun down yet?"

Silvanus let out a soft whimper and he huddled against Hector's side. He gently padded the boy's back as said, "Not quite."

"Oh, for God's sake." Carmilla scoffed as she carefully stepped out of the house with a black cloak covering her. "Where are the townspeople?"

"They're not coming close to us. They spent the day recovering things from the ruins. They started returning to the furthest houses a little while ago." Hector said.

"Do they know we're here?" She asked.

Hector sighed. "Certainly."

"So they're barricading their homes and sharpening their stakes. That's fair. Can't say I blame them." Carmilla said as she walked off to the side. She turned and note of the sharp stick in Hector's hand. Making sure he didn't get any funny ideas, Carmilla tells him. "You won't stake me to death with that, Hector."

Hector narrowed his eyes at her and let out a small chuckle. "I wasn't intending to try. I was thinking it might make a drill to start a fire. It's gonna be a cold night." He told her. Carmilla looked over at the toddler and asked, "That boy is Leonora's son...and she held the power to control fire. Couldn't he do the same?"

"No." Hector immediately said. "Leonora may hold powerful magic, but Silvanus can't do anything like that. She told me once that children born from her clan normally developed their magic by the age of three. Silvanus is four and nothing has happened."

"Hm, doesn't matter. We won't be staying." She said.

"Well, the fire was for Silvanus and me, not you. I assume you don't really feel the cold." Hector said, making Carmilla laugh as she sat down on the ground. Awaiting for the sun to set. Come nightfall, Carmilla cast her cloak and enjoyed the wind blowing through her hair. "Where will you go?" Hector asked, cradling the sleeping child in his arms.

"I think I will return to Styria. What else is there? The majority of my forces were here, and now they are gone." Carmilla told him.

"What was that? The way the castle moved and then vanished. I've been thinking about it all day. I-I still don't understand." Hector said.

Carmilla sighed. Honestly, his child-like naivety, this puppy...what does Leonora see in him? "What is there to understand? A spell captured the castle. The engines of the castle attempted to fight the capture, and so it thrashed around like a rat in a cage, and lost." She said.

"Do you think Dracula lived?" Hector asked with a small shred of hope.

"No. We have viewed the castle with mirrors." Carmilla said.

"But you can't be sure." He said.

"I can. Dracula is dead, Hector." She said. Hector's expression fell as he is bothered by the news. He couldn't believe that Dracula, his master and someone he viewed as a friend, was dead. He hugged Silvanus tight in his arms as Carmilla asked. "Does that trouble you?"

"Of course it does." He said.

"Poor Hector. Stand up for me." She said as she offered him her hand. Hector narrowed his eyes at her and stood up on his own. She looked over him, taking in his image. She tilted her head and said, "Hector. You look like shit."

Hector laughed a bit. "I know." Then he became crestfallen and said, "Please...give me back Leonora. Set her free so the three us can go...there's so much I need to apologise to her."

Carmilla reached into her dress's pocket and took out the bottle. Hector sighed relief when he saw his beloved was still alive and well. "Don't worry. We'll look after you." She said as she handed him the bottle. Hector was about to reach for it when suddenly Carmilla took Silvanus away from him as her soldiers came from behind him and chained Hector to a neck shackle. "Carmilla, what are you doing?" Hector shouted. The sudden jolt woke Silvanus from his slumber and was now horrified when he sees Carmilla looking down at him with a smirk.

"I must return to Styria. With my forces, decimated, the humans of this region weakened, and a void in the power structure of the vampire world, I intend to take advantage of that." She explained to him. "But I need my strength returned. I need a horde as Dracula had. And you are a Forgemaster. You will create the horde for me. I believed I told you that I will be taking responsibility for this child now."

"Go to hell." Hector growled as he tried to reach for Silvanus, struggling with her soldiers. "Give me back my family now!" Carmilla mockingly laughs at him as she slapped him hard across the face, sending him colliding to the ground. "Papa!!" Silvanus cried out, reaching for Hector. "Papa! Papa!!"

"Hahaha, how amusing. You're not his real father, yet he sees you as one." Carmilla laughed. She handed the crying over to her soldiers as she began to torture Hector by smacking him around and harshly pulling and yanking on the chain connecting to his shackle. "Mm, you are my pet now. My pet Forgemaster." And the best part? Leonora wasn't here to protect him.

Carmilla spread a sadistic grin as she began beating Hector into a bloody pulp, enjoying the agonised look on his face as Silvanus continued to cry and scream. She was really beginning to enjoy herself when suddenly her hands caught on fire, making her scream in pain and jump away from Hector. As she hissed and bared her fangs at the sight of her burned hands, she swiftly turned back to Hector and her eyes widen when a circle of fire surrounded him.

Hector shook from the beating and was taken by surprised when he felt his wounds begin to heal. He raised his head as his heart skipped a beat when he saw the fire then rose to create the form of Leonora, kneeling in front of him with her arms outstretched. Protecting him. "Leonora..." Hector called out softly. Not believing what he was seeing. The fire Leonora turned her head and smiled lovingly at him before vanishing. Carmilla quickly took out the bottle and was confused when she saw that the gipsy woman was still trapped inside, glaring at her. The Vampiress growled as she realised that some of her magic still existed outside of her prison. She didn't know how Leonora was doing this, but she'll find out sooner or later. Deciding to deal with her later, Carmilla orders her soldiers to move out, and with Hector and Silvanus in tow, Carmilla leads her forces out of Braila.

 

The next morning, it was time for Trevor and Sypha to leave. They already packed some supplies for their journey so all they need to do is load a wagon. But before they said goodbye, Trevor wanted to say a few things to Miri. He didn't want to leave without any regrets. He was right, Miri was going to stay behind. She didn't specify any reason, but Trevor had a good guess. "So...this is it. We're going our separate ways." Trevor said as he walked around the castle with her. Miri gave a small nod and said, "Indeed, we are. I am saddened that we won't be able to travel anymore but I'm certain we'll meet again someday."

"Heh, that's if you don't forget me." Trevor laughed.

Miri giggled as she playfully pushed him. "Don't be absurd, I would never forget you. You're a hard person to be faded from memory." She told him.

"Ha, yeah...well," Trevor said as his smile faded a bit. Miri looked up at him and became concerned when she sensed sadness from him. When he wanted to come take a walk with her, she happily agreed, but Miri could tell that something was bothering him. She stopped walking and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Trevor, are you alright?" She kindly asked.

Trevor stopped as well, but he didn't turn to face her. He looked up at the sky and took in a deep breath. "Are you sure you don't want to come with me. You can travel again and find more of your people. Even if we run into trouble, I can protect you." Trevor said. He then turned around and gazed her with an unreadable look in his eyes. Miri blinked in surprised when he said this, but she smiled. "I know you can. And I would love to explore the world again and rediscover my clan...but I can't. There's something here that I must look after." She told him.

"You want to look after Alucard, don't you? You're worried about him." Trevor stated. Miri looked at him, startled at how he had figured that out so easily. She became embarrassed as she thought that maybe she's made it obvious. Miri slowly nodded her head but quickly said, "But I also want to protect your family's Hold. Being in there was the most extravagant moment of my life! My fellow brothers and sisters have only dreamed of it and the knowledge you and your family gathered through generations and I felt such honour being able to see it for myself. You were one of my greatest friends, Trevor and I wish to protect it in your name."

That actually made Trevor happy as he felt his heart beating. Alucard may be her reason, but she was ultimately staying so that she could protect his family's trove. There she was again. Waning to do something for him and calling him her friend. Miri was such a genuine soul...how he wished he could've realised his feelings sooner. Trevor gave a small laugh as he said, "Well, in that case, I give you the title of the Noble Protector of the Belmont Hold."

"I don't believe that's a real title." Miri told him.

"Yes, it is. Shut up." Trevor said. Making the two of them laugh. Trevor walked up to her and patted her on the head. "But in all seriousness, though I'm happy you want to do that for me, you want to stay with Alucard. You love him, don't you?" He asked, surprisingly gentle. Miri blushed pink and lowered her gaze as she nodded. "I...have never felt this type of emotion so strongly before with anyone. My heart is yearning for Sir Alucard in a way I never thought possible...even if I wanted to go with you and Madam Belnades, I cannot leave him all alone in this castle. If I do...then there will be nothing."

Trevor felt his heart ache but he smiled and nodded his head in understanding. Ever since they met, Miri has not once ever been selfish towards him or anyone else they've come across, so he has no right or reason to be selfish about her. She deserved as much happiness this world had to offer. "If that's what you want, then I'll be wishing nothing but the best. But if that half-Vampire bastard ever does anything to make you cry, then I'll break down those doors and give him a beatdown he won't soon forget."

Miri gave him a look before laughing. "Thank you, Trevor." She stopped laughing when she felt him brush away her bangs. "I should be the one thanking you." He then lifted her head just a bit for him to lean down and give her a soft kiss on her forehead. "Take good care of yourself, Miri." He told her. Miri was stunned by this. This was a side of him that she'd never seen before, but it wasn't unpleasant. She smiled kindly and nodded. "I will." The two of them walked back to the wagon and Miri ran up to help Sypha load it. Trevor walked passed Alucard, but he stopped when he gave him a sideways glance. "You're aware Miri is staying here, right?"

"I am. She's going to help protect the castle and your family home." He said.

Trevor narrowed his eyes at him and gave him a stern warning. "If you ever hurt her or make her cry...I will NEVER forgive you."

Alucard hung his head and gave a small smile. "I would never." Trevor gave a small laugh as he patted his shoulder as he goes to load up the wagon. After a while, they were already done and it was time to say goodbye. Sypha holds the hands of Alucard and Miri, and says, "Be well, my friends."

"You, too. Don't let that idiot get you into too much trouble." Alucard said.

"Never." Sypha told him as they turned to see some of the supplies fall on Trevor. "Well, maybe just enough trouble."

"Just enough."

"Just please make sure you take care of him." Miri said as they walked her over to the wagon. Miri let out a small gasp as she said, "Oh! I nearly forgot." She brought up her hands and her pendant began to glow. Two small blocks of ice formed in hands before they crumbled away and in their place, were two gorgeous crescent moons connected to a dark blue stone. She handed them the pendants and she said, "Take these with you. It isn't an official, but this is the symbol of my clan. If you ever managed to find a member of my clan, they'll see that you two are our honourable members of my family." Sypha smiled brightly as she held the necklaces in her hands. She and Miri embraced each other as the short-haired woman said, "We'll take good care of them."

As Sypha seated herself next to Trevor, the last Hunter and looked at the two. Miri gave a smile as she gave him one last wave goodbye. He smiled at her as he gave a small wave to Alucard. The Dhampir smiled back him...and happily flipped him off.  "Ah. Fuck you." Trevor said as he and the others share one last laugh. With that, they bid farewell to Alucard and Miri. They ride through the forest on their way to a new adventure. Miri patted Alucard's shoulder and the two of them walked back towards the castle.

Chapter 19: I'll Always Stay By Your Side

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

"You know...this castle is rather beautiful when you take a second look." Miri said as she and Alucard entering the main hall of the castle. She was trying to make conversation as she could still sense the aching sadness in Alucard's heart. As they walked up the stairs Miri looked over and saw that he had stopped walking. Staring seemingly at nothing to the other staircase. But in Alucard's eyes, he saw a translucent image of his father. A man who held a thousand years of wisdom and power. A man who held honour and nobility. Within this castle, he held all the knowledge he could want...but he was still lonely. A cold, empty castle without a speck of warmth.

"Is this how the castle felt to you?" Alucard suddenly asked. Brushing his hand against the stair's railing. "Before my mother first arrived at your door?" For Alucard, he was just now feeling how much the castle was too empty. He wonders if that was how his father felt before his mother came into Dracula's life. "Sir Alucard, I-." Miri tried to say but Alucard simply walked past her. Miri tensed up as she sensed his sadness growing stronger. She clasped her hands together and she silently followed him as he walked through the castle. Eventually, he reached his father's study. Alucard walked over to the chair that was knocked over from the fight and sets it upright, taking a seat in it. He lets out a sigh as he enjoys shafts of sunlight coming in through the windows.

Then he heard laughter.

Distant, echoing laughs of a child. He turned to the door and saw a child version of himself run past through the study, laughing all the while. Playing before he suddenly turned back and stood by the door. The child version of Alucard stared into the study and gave a bright, innocent smile to his father. He waved at him and was about to go inside and play with his father before Lisa, his mother, laughingly scooped him up in her arms. The child hugged his mother before he ran off. Lisa smiled at her sweet child before turning towards her beloved husband. Smiling at him with warmth and love in her eyes before she got up and chased after her son. Memories...sweet, innocent memories. Back when everything seemed to be perfect.  Back when they were happy. Back when he and his father were happy.

The memories of the more innocent times overwhelm Alucard, and he finally breaks down. Bowing over in his father's chair, was not Alucard. It was Adrian Tepes who breaks down in tears. He cried. His tears flowing silently but freely. He weeps for his mother, snatched away by other men's cruelty and short-sighted avarice; for his father, in so many ways a great man, transformed by that cruelty and avarice into a monster; and for the laughing little boy he once was, growing up to become the instrument of his own father's destruction.

He held his face as he continued to cry. When all of a sudden, he felt arms wrapping themselves around him. Holding him close. He felt droplets of water fall on his cheek. He lifted his head and saw that it was Miri who was hugging him, holding him as she cried. "This is why I chose to stay. How could I leave when I knew you would break apart. Weeping all alone in this empty castle with no shoulder to lean on." She said as she looked into his eyes.

"I understand better than anyone what it's like to lose a family. To be alone. But I know no words could mend a broken heart, so please, allow me to hold you until you're well again." Alucard stared up at her with tear-filled eyes and let out a choked sob as he wrapped his arms around her waist. Hugging her tight as if his life depended on it. Her words were so kind and comforting. Her body was warm and soft to the touch, making him fall deeper under her spell.

Some time passed and Alucard felt better once he was finally able to cry. He thanked Miri for being there for him and while he seemed to be better, the gipsy girl still felt a twinge of sadness in him. She needed to find a way to make him smile and went through several plans on how to do it. But she didn't any of them would do until she thought up of one. Miri searched through the castle, looking for something in particular. After going through at least ten rooms, Miri stopped and smiled. Finally, she found what she was looking for.

She waited until nightfall to put her plan in motion. Miri went to find Alucard and was lucky to find him back in his father's study. "Sir..." She paused. "Alucard, there you are." The blonde-haired man turned and was curious to wonder what has gotten her so happy. "Yes? Did you need anything from me?" He asked as he began to walk towards her. Miri nodded and grabbed hold of his hand before she rushed out of the room. Practically dragging Alucard around as they ran through the castle. "Miri, what has gotten into you? Where are you taking me?" He asked.

"I want to show you something." She simply told him and as she stopped in front of two large doors. She let go of him and opened the doors to reveal a large, grand ballroom. She took his hand again and pulled him inside. "What's this about?" Alucard questioned. Miri smiled up at him as she began to back away from him. "About making you smile again." She told him.

*Play music*

Alucard's eyes widen in surprised. Miri continued to smile as she forms a snowball in her hands. She closed her eyes as she began to sing. She raised her hands to the ceiling and released it. It flew up high and it bursts into infinite snowflakes.

Ontas kritela nosontolis
Virtili varetzuli
Kiyetu sanela hala'hui
Leilian vo'elus virras

She sang as she began to dance. Moving her body gracefully as she lets out a small puff of ice and snow out of her hands. Each step she took, snowdrops began to grow around the ballroom.

Vira notu sontiso

Wori melivra o

Huisas sanaela hala

Rekriato me Kaya naiatolus

Wirehi kala'us

Le'a le'u teras

Rekriato me...(2x)

Alucard was mesmerising by her as she danced. She moved her body with grace and elegance. His eyes went wide at the sound of her beautiful, harmonic voice. Alucard watched in silent awe as she turned the once darkened ballroom into a small winter's paradise. Seeing her dance, hearing her voice, watching her do all of this for him made Alucard fall even more in love with her. Miri kept her eyes locked on Alucard as she continued to perform for him.

She waved her hands releasing beautiful streaks of her ice magic. Making them swirled around her when she spun around. Miri danced and sang until she reached the centre of the ballroom and she stomped her foot. Creating a beautiful snowflake pattern. Miri spun around, lighting up the floor before sending her magic upwards. Making snowdrops and various flowers grow on the walls and pillars. She moved her hands so that it the petals would rain down with the snow.

Honya valelus sonavelis

Viri as'ana dore

Ashai yekrias solathelas

Resha vro huitus viratus

As she spun, she felt hands grasp her own and turned to see Alucard had come up and took her in his arms. Her face brightens when she saw a genuine, happy smile on his face. They situated themselves and soon began twirling and swaying to the nonexistent music. Moved from side to side in silence. But they didn't care. They were too focused on each other to care about music. Neither Alucard nor Miri had never felt like this in their lives. It just felt so great. To dance with someone like this.

Vira notu sontiso

Wori melivra o

Huisas sanaela hala

Rekriato me

Kaya naiatolus

Wirehi kala'us

Le'a le'u teras

Rekriato me... (x2)

"Why did you stay with me and not go with Belmont and Sypha? I'm sure you wish to find the rest of your clan." Alucard asked her as he twirled her around. Miri closed her eyes and took in a breath. She was going to tell him. "I do. Ever since I found a fellow brother I was overwhelmed with jubilation, it gave me hope that the rest of my clan is out there somewhere...but if they are...I have faith that they found the courage to fight back just as I have." She said. "I wanted to stay because I wish to protect Trevor's family legacy and aid you in the process. But I held a different entirely."

Visasarem

Vitoris analesa litus

Visasarem

Kaya noseras sai'us

"And what would that be?" Alucard asked her as they stopped dancing. He still held her close and he reached up to brush away the stay hairs away from her face. Miri leaned against him, taking in his warmth and listen to his beating heart. "You." She said. "I want to stay with you...forever, Alucard. For years, I have feared the dark because I believed that things often get lost in it. But then I remembered that the dark is nothing to be feared so long as you find the light that resides in it. And I have found it."

Vira notu sontiso

Wori melivra o

Huisas sanaela hala

Rekriato me

Kaya naiatolus

Wirehi kala'us

Le'a le'u teras

Rekriato me...

Miri looked up at Alucard and reached up to cup his face. "I found my light in you...I have fallen in love with you Alucard." The Dhampir let out a gasp of shock as he stared down at her. He couldn't believe it. Had he just imagined it? Had this kind and wonderful girl just proclaimed her love to him? Him, born from a human and Vampire? His heart raced as he smiled down at her. "Miri..." He whispered as he leaned down to nuzzled his face into the crook of her neck. Alucard kissed her neck gently as if frightened to hurt her for she was extremely delicate. Miri gasped as she let out a laugh, his lips felt so soft they tickled her skin. "My dearest Miri..." He murmured. "Those are the words I have wanted to say to you as well."

Miri smiled brightly as tears swelled in her eyes. Alucard cupped her face into his hands and pressed his lips against her own. A tingling sensation ran through her bodies making her shiver incredibly, she moaned lightly into the kiss. She ran her fingers through his long hair and lightly tugged at it making him grunt slightly. Her stomach felt like millions of tiny butterflies were fluttering around as they kissed.

When she pulled away they were both breathing heavily trying to catch their breaths, her warm breath brushed against his face. Alucard's body felt weak at the touch of her hot breath against his face, he wanted her to stay with him, he loved her so much, but he was torn between his love for her and if she truly wanted to be with a Dhampir.

"Miri, I do love you but are you certain that you wish to be with me? Do you truly want to be with me?" Alucard asked.

Miri reached up to hold Alucard's hand, leaning into his touch. "Of course I do. My heart is calling out to you. I want to be with you...protect you, care for you, and love you. Always." She said. Alucard's eyes widened with surprise as Miri wrapped her arms around him. He smiled and hugged her back in a protective hold. "I love you, Miri, with my body, heart and soul. I promise to devote my life to you and only you."

"I love you, too, Alucard and I shall never leave you. I will always love you and stay by side for eternity. I promise, my love."

Notes:

I wish to give you all, my readers, my greatest thanks. Thank you all so much for reading this story and following its development. I hope you've enjoyed yourself ^-^. I'm aware that most of you know that season 3 of Castlevania is coming out soon this week, however, I'm ending this book here. Once all ten episodes are made and completed, I will pick up where I left off and continue this story. Until then, thank you again for reading and I'll see you in the next book ^-^.

Chapter 20: The Life After the Storm

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The warm sunlight cast its glow through the forest. Illuminating the natural beauty of the land surrounding Dracula's increasingly ramshackle castle, which now sits, precariously, over the Belmont vault. Deep in the forest, everything seems calm. There is no hint of the horror that occurred a month ago. What once a land of horror and nightmares, is now a land of light, colour, and life, as nature's creatures return to their normal behaviour in the rather quiet surroundings.

In a nearby river, a fish swims downstream feeding off of the small particles underwater before a hand shot out from above and grabbed the fish. It pulled the fish out of the water and ceases its useless flailing with a quick, strong flick of the wrist. Alucard places the fish in one of the two baskets he has with him and decided that he was collected enough food. As he stands up with the two baskets in hand, he takes a moment to enjoy the sun's warmth on his face, the gentle breezing by. He smiled lovingly as he heard a sweet, melodic voice within the wind. He chuckled to himself as he goes to find the source of that voice.

A young girl sang a song as she gathers ingredients for simple herbs and plants, as well as tending a beautiful blue rose garden she had carefully cultivated for the past month. She sang her song as she gently brushed her hand across the roses before she picked out the best one to bring back. She wore a sleeveless dark blue top that stops under her chest with puffy white sleeves cut out, white shorts and a light blue half skirt along the back of her waist, but still wore her father's pendant. She had taken her long, raven-black hair out of its braids and tied it into a ponytail with a white ribbon.

The young girl had her back turned for only a second before she found her basket missing. Normally, any person would be concerned about missing their belonging, but this girl gave a rather playful, knowing smile as she looked around. Miri giggled when she saw pieces of berries she had recently picked were now on the group forming a trail. She shook her head amusement as she tucked the rose in her skirt before going and picking back up the berries while keeping her eyes on her surroundings just in case.

She followed the trail until it leads her to a more secluded area of the forest and spotted her basket underneath a tree. Miri shifted her eyes around and but has yet to find anything, but she knew. She giggled as she made her way over to the basket. "I know you're out there." She called out. "As long as your heart continues to beat, I'll sense you."

Miri was only three inches away from her basket when she peeked around both sides of the tree. Nothing. But she kept smiling. She turned back and placed a finger on her chin. "Hmm. Perhaps I am mistaken, I suppose I'm all-AH!" Miri said before she let out a yell when something-or rather-someone burst through and tackled her to the ground. They ended up rolling on the ground and stopped with Alucard on top of Miri. The two laid on the ground, holding each other as they let out a wholehearted laugh. "I win." Alucard said as they kept laughing. Miri smiled and shook her head. She poked at her beloved's forehead and said, "That doesn't count. Adrian, you bold trickster, I wasn't ready."

"Ah, but the rule of our game is to catch our prey with the element of surprise regardless if they're ready or not. And since I'm the winner this time, you shall obey one request from me." Alucard reminded her with a smug look. "You cad." Miri said as she puffed her cheeks before they began to laugh again. Alucard brushed away her bangs and leaned down to kiss her, which Miri happily returned. Once they broke away, the couple gathered their baskets, and the berries that were dropped, and headed back to the castle they now call home.

It has been a full month since the fight against Dracula and the world was slowly going back to how it once was. For a while, it almost seemed that the events were nothing more than a bad dream. Still, the couple continued to live on towards a better tomorrow. Together. Since Trevor and Sypha left to explore and take care of the rouge demons left behind, they've kept themselves busy. Not only in rebuilding the Belmont estate but also settling into their new life as a couple.

Alucard found it mesmerising at how much his beloved Miri had grown in such a short time. Before she was so softspoken and shy, but after the battle against the demons of the night and after confessing their love for each other Miri had become a happy, outgoing girl who's smile shines like the morning sun. Alucard had never felt so fortunate to have her at his side. Without her, Alucard was sure he would descend into a bottomless pit of loneliness and isolation. He cherished her and every day his love for her had only grown stronger.

Miri took the baskets and asked for Alucard if he could get a drink from the cellar while she gets started on the preparations for their meal. Alucard agreed and went down to the wine cellar to find...well, anything that wasn't broken. They've made some progress in tidying up and cleaning parts of the castle that were partially destroyed in the final battle but the wine cellar was at the bottom of the list that needed cleaning so there were a few bottles at were broken. After tossing away two broken bottles Alucard found one that might be suitable.

"Kuwata tsunowo vralai. Tsuriji pufuralekai. Kwondzuvai undovartsu wronduwail. Tjortetei jeki liago." Miri sang as she chopped some tomatoes while some water boiled in a pot beside her. She had already placed the rest in the oven, so they should be done soon. She wiped her hands on a nearby cloth before turning back to place to a bowl that held fresh fish and some of the growing vegetables on top of the boiling water when Alucard had come back and swiped it out of her hands, doing it himself.

"Cheeky little thing." She teased with a smile. Alucard gave her a smirk before going up and placing a kiss on her lips. Miri giggled as she went to pick up two wine glasses from the cabinet and set it down for Alucard to pour the clear wine for both of them. Miri picked up her glass and looked at it with curiosity. "I don't think it'll be that bad. You have drunk wine before." Alucard told her. "I know. But that was only once, I haven't drunk something like before." Miri said. She looked over at the wine again before taking a sip. Alucard had to hold in his laughter at the face she had.

Soon the food was ready and they've set their plates and sat down to eat. Times like this were their favourites. Times where they could just sit down, enjoy the company of another and have this delicious meal. It brought back memories for both of them, though it was saddening to think of them, they were sweet to look back on. "I was impressed when you learned the ways of this castle quickly. Considering you were a nomad with no experience with machinery." Alucard told her.

"Well, maybe that's because I had a charming tutor to teach me its mysterious ways. This castle is truly a world of wonders upon a second glance." Miri said. Alucard smiled at her and reached out to hold her hand. "I'm grateful you choose to stay with me, Miri. You've made my life that much more colourful." He said. Miri blushed red and gave a shy smile. She tucked a stay hair behind her ear and said, "And you've helped me light up the dark. There's no other place I'd rather be than here with you."

"Then explain why you decided to create those terrible puppets." Alucard said as he pointed over to the handmade puppets of Trevor and Sypha. Miri gave a fake gasp and pretended to look angry. "They're not terrible, they happened to look near identical to them. After all, I'm planning to surprise them with those if they come to visit."

"Really. They look identical?" Alucard questioned, glancing over at the Trevor puppet. "Well, you've captured his idiotic face perfectly." He laughed as Miri playfully smacked him on the shoulder. "Hush now, you've helped me in creating them." Miri shot back as she turned to the puppets. Alucard and Miri enjoyed their new life together but they still often miss having Sypha and Trevor around. Miri was serious when she went about making them. If they do come back to visit them, then she was going to use her magic to scare them a bit. "I wonder what they say if they were here." Miri mused as she took a sip of her wine

"I'm not sure. What do you think Trevor? 'I think that I hate everything and everybody so I'm gonna get drunk on beer that's been brood in old sheep carcass and then I'm gonna stick my tiny penis in a dead dog I found in a ditch to make haybabies or something because I am actually more stupid than mud'." Alucard said while making a very good impression of Trevor. What he said made Miri spat out her wine and she quickly held her mouth to keep herself from laughing. She smacked Alucard repeatedly on his shoulder, trying to be made this time but her laughter was proving to be stronger.

"Adrian would you....pfft, hahaha, s-stop?! That's wasn't funny...hahaha!" Miri said through her laughter as she leaned back in her seat as she crossed her arms. "I think it was a good imitation of him." Alucard said.

"Perhaps but Trevor has more class than that." She said with a smile. She eyed the Sypha puppet then back at Alucard, who had a smug look on his face and raised a brow at her. He knew what she was thinking and knew she couldn't resist. Miri let out a whine and she gave in. "'You are a horrible, terrible person and many other words for "horrible" and "terrible" because I know all the words because I'm smarter than everybody and one day I will go back to live with my family in a cart which makes me better than everyone and you all die in a fire. A big one.' Why had I done that?" Miri questioned herself as she covered her face and rested her head on the table.

"You were right, I wasn't funny. But you certainly were." Alucard chuckled.

"I blame you." Miri told him, raising her eyes to meet his. The two shared a look before they burst out laughing. Yes. Everything was just perfect. So long as they had each other to love and care and smile for, then there was no need for them to worry.

*At a forest*

While Alucard and Miri lived their lives in bliss, Trevor and Sypha are travelling by carriage through the forest in an attempt to fight the leftover night creatures.

"I think it might actually be a nice night for once." Sypha says.

"I hope so. Your feet get so bloody cold at night." Trevor said.

"Haha, don't they though?" Sypha laughed, looking out through the trees.

"Hm, they're supernatural. Like death rubbing up and down my leg." Trevor told her, his eyes also looking through the trees. He could've sworn he saw something within the shadows. "Even I don't want to be near then, and they're attached to me. Do you think we'll make the next town before we lose the last of the light?" Sypha asked.

"With a bit of luck. If this doesn't take too long." Trevor said.

"Do we need to make more noise?" Sypha asked.

"No, they can hear us." Trevor said with a smile.

Sypha let out a tired sigh. "They need to hurry up. I'm hungry."

"I could use a drink. They should start any minute now, but let them get close and get confident." Trevor said.

"I know." Sypha said, her excitement rising. The grass around them began to move and bits of sticks snapped under the weight of something big. When they began to hear growling, that's when they knew they were close. "Here they come." Sypha said. Walking out from the forests, two demons of Dracula's bared their fangs and snarled at the travelling duo. Trevor stopped the carriage, looking a bit bored while Sypha was still surging with excitement. While the demons had their attention, they were unaware of the pairs of eyes that had just stopped above them. They were caught off guard as they didn't expect to find anyone here.

"Travellers...and they've encountered some of the creatures of the night." One of them said. "We should help them."

"No, wait." The other said, taking a closer look at the pair. "I don't think they're in danger. The woman appears to be...smiling."

"Smiling?"

"Oh no, Night Creatures. Whatever shall I do? Out here alone in the forest with only my brain-damaged servant who talks about nothing but beer. I am certainly doomed." Sypha said, feigning helplessness at the presence of the demons.

"Oh God, not this again." Trevor said with a sigh and held his head.

The two observers glanced at each other with confliction. "Are you certain we shouldn't help? They're acting like fools with them." The first one said. "They are acting like fools, but I don't think they're helpless....unless she's accurate about he who speaks consistently of alcohol and might potentially brain-damaged." The second said.

"Doomed, I say. I am defenceless and frozen to my seat with fear." Sypha continued.

"Laying on it a little bit thick, aren't you Sypha?" Trevor asked her.

"It's always easier when we let them get in range." Sypha tells him as the demons get closer to them. Trevor narrowed his eyes as he heard a loud thunderous noise and rushing out from the forest was a giant minotaur wielding a battle axe. It loud a growl as it began walking towards them, along with a wolf-like demon stepping out as well.

"Four." Sypha said and the unknown person said.

"Yep." Trevor said, finding his amusement again. "I guess they wish to fair." The second unknown person said.

"Doomed." Sypha said.

"Shall we?"

"Really are." Trevor said.

"They'll be thoroughly bewildered, but we were sent on this task. So we shall."

Sypha let out a whimsical sigh. "Poor beasties." She said before she launched herself out from her seat with her wind magic. Once she was in the air, Sypha glided herself with her fire magic as she flew towards the first two demons. When she was close enough, she launched her fire at them. The demons screamed as they caught fire and writhed in agony. Trevor then stood up and took off his cloak as he went to take care of the minotaur, jumping on top of the carriage. He unhooked the MorningStar and cracked it. The tip lodging itself deep in the minotaur's skull. One yank of his whip and the MorningStar ripped the beast's brain right out. The beast collapsed towards the ground, dead before its body was consumed by a fiery explosion.

The other demons screeched as they tried to put out the fire as Sypha landed back on the ground. One of the demons, a red, four-eyed demon with large horns, growled as it rushed to attack Sypha. Swiping its claws at her but she manages to dodge its attacks. The horses, afraid of this situation, neighed loudly in fear.

Trevor jumped back down to the front seat and patted one of the horses. "Easy there boys. This will all be over in a minute." Trevor says as he takes notice of the wolf-like demon charging at him. It lunged at him. Trevor raised his arm and it caught it its jaw, the demon swiped it's clawed hand and knocked the MorningStar out of Trevor's hand. It pinned him down as it prepared to ripped his arm clean off when suddenly they both heard, "Release him!" A cloaked figure jumped out from the trees and kicked the demon off of Trevor.

"What the hell?"  Trevor asked in confusion. Without turning around the figure said, "Stay back, Sir Traveler." The figure then rushed at the demon, delivering powerful, solid punches to its face and body before, grabbing hold of it. Electrocuting it. The demon shrieked in pain as the cloaked figure applied more of their power before the demon broke free of their hold. The figure let out a gasp as it grabbed their face and flung them into the forest. It roared in anger as it chased after them. Trevor had no idea who that was but he did know one thing. That figure was a child. And because of that, he went after them.

Sypha, who was dealing with the other two demons, was just as confused by the appearance of the cloaked figure. She took notice that the green demon screamed as the flames ate away at its flesh and ran back into the forest, setting its surroundings ablaze. "You're not getting away." She heard someone say and her eyes widened as a second cloaked child came running through. Giving chase. "What is going on?" She asked herself as she continued to avoid the other demon's attack. A few more misseses with his claws, Sypha went in and incinerated its head. Reducing it to ash.  With that one dead, she nearly jumped when she saw lightning shot down from the sky. Knowing that it must have something to do with that kid, Sypha rushed into the forest to help them, following the trail of flames.

Trevor ran through the forest in search of the cloak child when he heard a pained, "AH!" He looked over and saw the child get slammed into a tree. They quickly ducked down just as the wolf-like demon swiped its claws at them. They kicked it underneath its legs, knocking it off balance before they grabbed the demon, holding it in the air while electrocuting the beast. As it shrieked, the cloaked child punches it to the ground.

They were about to attack before the demon surprised them and delivered a punch to their jaw. The child fell backwards and when trying to stand back up the hood fell back. Trevor's eyes widened when he saw it was a little girl. Her young face had reminded him of someone. The little girl tried to stand back but the demon stomped on her back, pinning her down. Glaring daggers into the beast, Trevor rushed in a punched the demon in the side, but it wasn't nearly as effective when the child did it. Though it did switch its attention. The demon bared its fangs at Trevor and began swinging its fist/claws at him. Trevor kept moving back, wanting to get away from the child as possible.

When Trevor jumped back between two trees, the wolf-like demon went ahead to push them apart, leaving it wide open for Trevor to land a punch on its throat. That stunned the demon and glowing chain suddenly appeared and bound it. Trevor looked over its shoulder and saw that it was the girl doing it. Trevor made a mental note to thank her before he slammed his foot of the demon's leg.

Elsewhere the green-coloured demon continued to scream and run away, still on fire as it was being chased by its former prey. The second cloak had missed and only scorched the left side of its body and while electricity charged up in their hand, they were sure not to miss this time. At least that's what they thought when it heard ice crackling. They looked up and saw Sypha running up above them using ice as platforms. Sypha jumped from the last platform, forming an icicle spear in her hands before she launched at the demon. Stabbing it right through the head, killing it instantly. When Sypha landed it back on the ground, she melted the ice and put out the fire.

The cloaked child was impressed by Sypha's skills in magic but they have no time to stay around and talk. They needed to find their companion and get back home. They turned to take off when Sypha suddenly came in, grabbing their arm. "Alright, who are you?" She asked as she took off their cloak. Her eyes widened when it was, in fact, a child. A...girl? Sypha was shocked that children were even out here by themselves. "Who are you? Why are you out here?" Sypha asked in a worried-filled tone, wanting to understand why. But the child refused to speak. The child shook her head and suddenly teleported out of her hold.

Back with Trevor, the demon snarled as it held its neck, trying to break free from the chains. But Trevor and the little girl wasn't going to have it. The girl wrapped the chains tighter as Trevor stomped on its leg again, destroying its leg. The bones poked out and its flesh exposed to the world. When it collapsed to its knee, Trevor punched it again in the throat, grabbing its muzzle and forcing it head backwards. Trevor used all of his strength to force its back before its neck broke in half, blood spilling from its wounds.

The girl sighed in relief now that the beast was dead and called back her chains. She was about to put her hood back on when Trevor suddenly appeared in front of her and practically shook her by the shoulders. "What the hell are you doing out here?! You're only a kid, why did you engage in a fight with that demon?!" He shouted. The girl was left confused. His tone was angry but she saw the worry in his eyes. Before Trevor could say another word, he heard Sypha coming back. "Sorry I took so long. I couldn't let the forest catch fire." She said as she made her to him. Just him.

"It's fine, I wasn't waiting long really." Trevor told her as he turned his attention back on the girl, only to find that she completely vanished.

"That was pretty fast though, right?" Sypha asked.

"Yeah...easy." Trevor said as he walked up grabbed the demon he'd just kill and began dragging it back to the carriage. "They weren't expecting Belnades and Belmont." Sypha said, triumphantly.

"So, I've been promoted from brain-damaged servant then." Trevor said with a smirk.

"Did you know that the original meaning of the word Belmont is brain-damaged servant?" Sypha asked as she picked the MorningStar.

"It is not." Trevor said sternly.

"I am a Speaker. I know many things." Sypha told him. She noticed that he was gathering some roped from the carriage and asked, "What are you doing?"

"Buying some insurance. Between the wandering packs of Night Creatures, and the brigands and opportunistic criminals, and that one guy with the horse-drawn sailboat on wheels that called himself 'The Pirate of the Roads'." Trevor said, saying that last part with some bitterness, and went to tie the demon to the carriage.

"It's best to look like you saw friends when we arrive at new towns." Sypha said.

"You're catching on." Trevor said with a smile.

"Well, it's been quite a month." Sypha said with a smile as she glanced at the sky. At the same time, both of their smiles faded. "Sypha/Trevor, a child was fighting against the Night Creature." They said at the same time.

"What?!" They said again.

"A little girl, who couldn't be older than twelve, was fighting against this demon here." Trevor told her.

"I saw a little girl myself, I think, but she vanished before I could get any information." Sypha said. "Just who were those children?"

"I don't know...I don't know why, but something's telling me we can trust them." Trevor told her as they are left to wonder who those two children were and why they had helped them fight against the Night Creatures.

Notes:

Hello everyone ^-^. True to my word, I am back to writing for Castlevania and I am excited to be back. I've changed the rating to mature for...erm, obvious reasons, but I hope all of you will continue to enjoy the further development of There is Beauty in Darkness. Thank you all very much for being patient with me. ^-^

Chapter 21: A Caged Home and The Twisted Monks

Chapter Text

An army, soldiers clad in black and white, marched through the snow as they make their way towards a large castle that rested on top of a snowy mountain, as two people awaited near the gate. Leading this army, was Carmilla. And she was home. Meeting her by the gates were Lenore and Striga.

"We'd almost given up hope." Lenore told her. Lenore's appearance is that of a slender young woman of shorter stature, with pale skin, ginger red hair, and red eyes. Like all Vampires, she has pointed ears and sharp fangs. The sides of her hair are gathered into a small long braid on her back, with a silver hair ornament and a translucent veil attached, covering part of the hair. The rest of the hair is wavy and worn loose. She wears a dark navy blue dress with teal embellishments and trimmings, and partially covered at the shoulders by a fluffy white coat. She has a belt with a bat-esque symbol on the buckle and she also wears a silver necklace and studs.

Carmilla's pale blue eyes narrowed at Lenore. "Thirty fucking days, Lenore. We were lucky to march for eight hours a night." Lenore removed her veil and sadly turned her gaze away. "I'm sorry." She said.

"Why were you matching? You were given horses for a reason." Striga said. Striga was an enormously tall woman with long, black unkempt hair and green eyes. Striga has the look of a strong warrior, with a hulking muscular physic and thick armour. She has a very masculine appearance.

"Well you didn't give me immortal Vampire horses of death, did you?" Carmilla snapped at her. "Eight hundred miles and every inch of it infested with bastards! We lost the horses to erosion sods in the first week. It's absolutely bloody chaos out there! Humans fighting each other, night creatures going mad, even Vampire packs trying to set up kingdoms. There is literally no one between here and Braila who I don't want to murder!!" The horror that she witnessed, humans, vampires, and night creatures clashing against each other to survive. But despite Carmilla's recent failings, she has a plan to have it all.

"So what do you want to do first, Carmilla?" Striga asks her. The white-haired Vampiress let out a sigh and ran her fingers through her hair. "I want to get into a bath for at least a day." She says. "And then I want you to bring a cartographer to my chambers. I may have a plan." Dragging behind Carmilla's marching army is a chained Hector, who now has become Carmilla's slave. Though it was cold, Hector did not react to it. For his beloved's fire magic was keeping him warm. Under one of the soldiers' arms, Silvanus was being carried like some kind of animal as he looked up at the large castle. He felt a twinge of fear when he saw but when his eyes fell upon Carmilla, his fear turned to hatred. Though he was being held by Carmilla's shoulder, throughout the thirty days they've travelled, his mother has been keeping them safe despite being imprisoned.

When the two of them have walked past the Vampiric sisters, Carmilla gave them a sideglance and said, "Oh yes. Striga, take these things to a cell and lock it up. Throw it food once a day." The hulking Vampiress went over to the two and when Hector looked up at her with a glare, she responded with a hiss. She then looked over at the toddler and picked him up by the back of his shirt. "What are these things?" She asked as she began poking at the little boy. He let out a small growl and bit at her finger. This...had cause Striga to chuckle a bit. Amused that this tiny creature would be brave enough to do that.

"The big one is a whining bag of shit that I would've happily have dropped in a ditch at any moment in the last month, but it is also a Forgemaster, so keep it alive. My plan includes it. Keep the youngling alive as well. It's deeply important to it. A means to...keep it in line." Carmilla says. Although, even if she wanted to, Carmilla knew that she couldn't, nor wouldn't, be able to lay another hand on Hector or Silvanus, not while Leonora's magic was still active. She had spent the entire month, trying to figure out how she was able to use her magic within the bottle. Even when she had threatened her, Leonora refused to say anything to her. It infuriated her whenever Leonora stares at her with a look that says, 'I'm far better and smarter than you'.

Striga hands the little boy back to the soldiers and pointed towards the castle. "Take this to the western cell block, don't kill it. And throw some water over it, it stinks." She says as the soldiers dragged Hector towards the castle. The pale silver-grey haired man turned his head and glared daggers at the Vampiric women. And he also tried to catch sight of Leonora's bottle. He hoped that she was safe. Striga and Lenore went over to Carmilla and the hulking woman said, "If there's nothing urgent, I suggest we get you indoors and give you a proper welcome."

Carmilla sighs in content and she raised her hands for them to take hold. She spread a smile as she says, "My sisters. I've spent ten days of that Hell march wondering if I die of hunger or sheer bloody rage before I got home, and wondering if you'd still be waiting for me. Where's Morana and Lilith?"

"They await us inside. Come on, dear Lilith's been impatient for your return." Lenore said as she and Striga lead Carmilla into the castle. High above the castle structure, an owl sat near the windows, overseeing the entrance. When it spotted the soldiers bringing/dragging in humans into the castle it spread its wings and flew behind the castle, out of sight, and phasing through the walls to report what it saw.

In the castle dungeons, the soldiers dragged the two humans, stripped on their clothing and tossed them into separate cells. Caged in like animals and one of the soldiers tosses them each a moldy piece of bread. Then he went over and took a seat at a nearby desk, keeping watch. Hector went to the iron bars to try and see his dear son, but with the distance he found, it would be nearly impossible. For the umpteenth time, Hector cursed and belittled himself for this. This was all his fault that things are like this. If he had just listened...

He let out a defeated sigh as he picked up the bread, seeing a bug crawl its way out of it. With no other option, he was about to take a bit when suddenly a surge of magic swirled itself around the bread and within seconds the mold vanished and it became more golden-brown and edible. His eyes widened as he saw the magic fly out of his cell and went into Silvanus's. Hector was now confused. That...wasn't Leonora's magic. This was someone else's...but who?

Upstairs, in a fine room warmed by a fireplace, decorated with an ivory table and chairs. The. walls held gorgeous patterns of white, gold and sapphire. A maroon carpet laid on the floor to brighten up the colours. A person was in the room and poured herself a cup of fresh blood just as Striga, Lenore and Carmilla entered the room. Carmilla spread a small smile as she looked over. "There you are Morana. It's good to see you again."

Morana was a tall, slender woman with tanned skin and long, brown hair. Her eyes were a silver-blue colour and had sapphire eyeshadow. She wore a blue and white gown with a ruffled collar, large golden earrings and a yellow shawl over her arms. Morana let out a chuckle as she says, "You're late."

"Carmilla?" A young voice called out. The other Vampires turned and Carmilla was nearly knocked off her feet when something- or rather someone- rushed in and gave her a big hug. "Welcome home, Carmilla! I missed you so very much." The owner of the voice said. Carmilla smiled and patted the youngling's head. "I missed you too, Lilith." She said. Lilith was a short, very beautiful, pale-skinned, slim young girl. She had light green eyes, waist-length, wavy, dark brown hair and has bangs that hang above her left eye. She wears a white apron over a black dress with bell-sleeves, a black headband, white socks, black shoes and has several roses and two ribbons in her hair.

"Why did you take so long to get home?" She innocently asked her as she and Carmilla walked over to the table. Annoyingly she retells her tortuous journey back home. "Thirty days, slogging through-."

"To make a terrible time. We stationed our forces within a day's ride of Braila. Where are the horses?" Morana asks.

"Killed by insane humans with pointy sticks and half a dozen packs or starving night creatures and eaten, and every other fucking thing! The plan couldn't have gone more wrong." Carmilla says as she places her fingers against her temple. Morana chuckled and offered the cup of blood. "You'll be wanting a drink then." She said. Carmilla swipes the cup from her and drinks it down, refreshing her dried throat with the sweet nectar. She let out a sigh of bliss. "Virgin's blood..! Oh, bless your dead little hearts. You do still love me."

Lilith gave a sweet giggle as she hugged Carmilla's arm. The rest of the Vampire sisters all smiled at the white-haired woman. "Welcome home, Carmilla. We're all so glad to have you back with us." Morana said.

"The plan didn't matter a wit compared to your safety. Welcome back to your castle and you're realm." Lenore told her.

"It's us against the world, Carmilla. Same as it always was." Now that five of the sisters were together again, it was time to form a new plan to create a world just for them.

Elsewhere, in a small town of Lindenfeld, many men lit up the streets and people and merchants walked around to either sell or buy the newest or oldest products. Amongst the group of shoppers was a man dressed in somewhat fancy clothing walked through the vendors and stops when he spotted some apples. He first poked at them with his cane, then leaned down to sniff at them. Course doing this and just standing there, greatly annoyed the owner. "Mr. Saint-Germain." She called out.

"Just Saint-Germain, please." He says kindly as he stood up straight.

"You're not a mister?" She asked.

"I most certainly am not." He said.

"What are you then?"

"Many things, young lady. Many things." He told her as he gazes down at the fruits, thinking of what to choose when he felt something lifting his cloak and tickling his back. "AH, wha-wha...oh, hahaha! Don't sneak up on people like that you two." Saint-Germain laughed as he lifted his cloak to reveal the two hooded children from before, smiling and giggling at him. He shook his head in amusement and turned back to the owner. "I'd like...two apples, I think."

"Two coins each." She told him.

"They were one denarius yesterday." Saint-Germain said.

"That was yesterday." She said, sternly as she placed her hands on her hips.

"Yes, just yesterday they were one denarius, has there had been some apocalyptic development that I somehow slept through in the meantime?" Saint Germain questioned her.

"Time's moved on. Season's ending. Less supply, same demand." The woman told him.

"Time absolutely does move on and sadly, none of us is master or mistress of it. You, should be a banker." He said. The woman stared at him and lifted her hand. "Gimme some coins to count then." She said. Saint-Germain gave the woman a look before she smiled at him. "Practice." She said. Sait-Germain grumbled as he reached into his coin purse and pulled out a silver coin. "Excellent, I have one grosh."

"I said, two coins each." The woman said.

"But a grosh is twice as large as a denarius and twice as thick, with twice the silver of a denarius, you see." Saint-Germain said.

"Grosh isn't coin."

"It most certainly is a coin."

"We don't trip without eastern money around here. Proper coin, Mr. Saint-Germain." The woman told him.

"Good grief." Saint-Germain said as he held the coin. He slammed his hand on the coin and when he removed it, the woman was left surprised by the appearance of four coins. "My apples. If you please." He said with a smile. One of the hooded children looked over and let out a gasp, tapped the shoulder of the other and when they turned, they quickly ran off. Saint-Germain was confused and turned to see what drove them off. A horse carriage, at this time of twilight, was making its way towards the town. "It's a little late for new arrivals, isn't it? I trust this isn't a bolder breed of brigand, or that imbecile who put wheels on his boat again." He says.

Trevor and Sypha strolled into town as they dragged the wolf-like night creature behind their carriage. Stopping a bit away from Saint-Germain as he takes a bite out of his apples. Well, this is new." He says to himself. The children hide underneath one of the vendors, using a spell to make them invisible, as they watched Trevor and Sypha closely. "It's them again." The girl said.

"Yes, but for what purpose do you suppose they are here for?"

"Perhaps they are here to collect some type of payment for that creature's corpse."

"That is quite the possibility. Ah, hush now sister." The hooded child said as they watched the town's leader, The Judge, make his way over to the two. He was fairly tall, bald man with fair skin and a mole under his left eye and wore entirely of black clothing. Trevor stepped off the carriage and walked to meet with The Judge. "So, had you been having problems with a night creature pack outside your lovely town?" Trevor asks.

"If you mean, "were terrible naked bastards from Hell trying to eat people in the forest", then yes." The Judge says.

"Ah, so had the village down the road. They told us the pack had been hitting travellers and transports, my partner and I decided to take care of that for you. Where are we?" Trevor asked.

"This is Lindenfeld." The Judge says.

"The minster Town." Sypha said in attention. She jumped off the carriage and went over to them. "The spire we saw from the road belong to the priory, yes?"

"Oh. You're a Speaker. We haven't seen any of your people in some while, it's a genuine honour." The Judge says as he gave her a respectable bow. "I'm the judge of Lindenfeld."

"The young Lady is a Speaker?" The little girl whispered.

"That explains her words and mystical abilities." Her friend said.

"A township judge. That is a very old term for the headman and landlord of a town. From the time before Boyerson Laurence." Sypha says, mostly explaining the whole thing to Trevor as she gave her attention to the Judge. "What is your name?"

"I'm simply, The Judge. And you are?" He asks.

"Wait a moment." Trevor says as he looks past the villagers and three men dressed in proper monk attire came walking through the crowd, and the one that appeared as the leader, instantly struck Trevor the wrong way as he had a deeply intense and threatening demeanour. "Those are monks of the priory. Take care, they are somewhat...uh, broken." The Judge tells them.

"Judge." The leader greeted.

"Prior Sala." The Judge greeted back. Sala looks upon the night creature and asks, "What is happening here? And this is a night creature of Dracula's hoard."

"It is?" The Judged asked.

"Did you kill it?" Sala asks Trevor. The last of the Belmont crossed his arms and said, "That's. right." Sala walked over to the dead creature and stared at it with slight disgust and a hint of satisfaction as he placed his foot on its broken neck. "Hehe, good. The hoard betrayed Dracula at Braila. Murdered at the hands of vagabonds and along dragging behind a wagon is no less than they deserve." Sala says.

"Betrayed him?" Sypha questioned.

"Dracula is dead. Didn't you hear?" Sala asks, much to the surprise of Sypha and the young Belmont. Trevor opened his mouth to speak but was silence when Sypha raised her hand. Not taking her eyes off the man. "We did not. How do you know this?"

"Hehe, information still gets carried within minsters. Vampires were trapped at Braila and they told of his castle being flooded with holy water and sent back to Hell." Saya explained to her. "They said they felt his death. I would very much like to know who killed him, Speaker."

"Why?" Sypha asked, narrowing her eyes.

"So that my men can punish those responsible. Dracula sought to reunite us all in Hell with his beloved wife." Sala says as he stepped away and lifted his arms, envisioning the world that Dracula, and God, would've wanted.

"...Okay, then. Nice to meet you." Trevor says, prompting to get Sala to leave as he was making him feel very uncomfortable.

"There was a Speaker woman at Gresit. What are your names?" Sala asks as he turns back to the travelling pair. His statements had quickly put Sypha on edge as she sharpens her gaze at the monk. "There are Speakers everywhere. They would only have given aid and comfort to those harmed by Dracula's hoards. Does that offend you?" She questioned and Sala's eyes narrowed at her. Before things could escalate, Judge calls forth some soldiers and stepped in. "It's time for you and yours to move along now, Prior." The Judge says.

"Indeed. We shall give thanks..." Sala says as he and his men moved along. Saint-Germain, who had been watching and listening to the entire thing, felt a tug and looked down to see the hooded children, motioning for him to leave. He took one last glance at the scene before complying and leaving with them. "What the hell was that?" Trevor asks.

"We suffered an attack during the recent troubles. It was a difficult night for the priory. Honestly, though, when it was learned that the actions of the Church were what unleashed it all, I think it just sent Prior Sala and his people...quite mad." The Judge explained to them.

"Oh dear, oh the shame. Nevermind." Trevor said with a slight yawn.

"He's been taking in refugees for a similar turn of mind. It's a problem, Mr...?" The Judge trailed off.

"I'm Trevor. This is Sypha." The last Belmont introduced themselves.

"Ah. No last names?" The Judge asked.

"Not until I feel a little safer here." Trevor says.

"Sensible." The Judge says as he walked over and offered his hand. "Well, Mr. Trevor, a pleasure to meet you both. Welcome to Lindenfeld." Trevor shook his hand and the Judge gave a nod to Sypha before he walked away. After all the commotion, a merchant approaches Trevor. "What you want for its teeth?" He asked.

"What?" Trevor asks.

"I'll give you two coins for each tooth." The merchant says, hoping to buy the creature's teeth. Still, Sypha was confused as to why. "Pardon me?" She asked. The merchant took that as a bit of a challenge and crossed his arms. "Alright, three." He offers.

"But..."

"Sypha. Three coins a tooth is fine, but you'll have to get them out yourself." The young Belmont said, quickly accepting the merchant's offer. The merchant gave a huge smile and pulled out tools that designed for yanking out teeth. "Ha, happily." He says as he went over to the dead night creature.

"Trevor," Sypha says as she pulled him away to the side. "That is wrong."

"You're hungry aren't you?" Trevor asks her.

"Well, yes..."

"We need friends, but we also need coins for food and for somewhere to sleep that isn't the back of a wagon." Trevor said.

"O-oh...you know, that might be nice. I mean, I'm used to sleeping wagons but it is nice when you stop." Sypha says, considering that speck of luxury. Trevor looked over and let out a gasp. Leaving Sypha and heading straight towards an outdoor bar. "And that man there...has beer." Trevor quickly went over to the counter and immediately began asking for a beer. "Could I get a mug. I'll have some coins in a minute."

"You killed that bastard thing. You get one free." The barkeep says as he takes a mug and fills it to the top. "I love you." Trevor told him holding up his hands in prayer. The barkeep sets down the fresh cup of beer and Trevor takes it, practically chugging half on it down while Sypha stood by with her arms crossed. It had been FOREVER, but Trevor had finally gotten hold of the refreshing taste of beer down his throat. "Oh my God..." He sighed. "That is better than sex." Sypha's eyes widened and she instantly froze the rest of the beer before Trevor could enjoy it fully. Trevor held the mug upside down and the frozen beer just splattered on the ground.

"Better than sex?" Sypha questioned as she stomps off.

"Ah, well, no not-not..." Trevor stammered as he followed her, trying to defend himself. "You know, just d-different, differently good."

"Really..?"

"But I-I-I didn't...didn't mean..."

"I do hope you sleep well tonight with my tiny, icy foot shoved all the way up your-."

*Crack!*

A Styrian soldier cracked and broken a thick sheet of ice with his dagger, collecting ice-cold water. Once the ice was broken away, melting into the bucket, the soldier picked up the two buckets and went inside the castle. Entering the dungeon and stopping before Hector's cell. The soldier placed one of the buckets down and doused the man with the ice-cold water. Hector let out a yell, gasping, panting as the freezing water touched his bare skin. The soldier reached for the second bucket and was about to go over the child's cell when all of a sudden...he was...frozen...he wasn't moving. He was even breathing. The ice-cold water in the bucket had become lukewarm.

Hector shivered as his body tried to warm itself, not noticing the frozen guard. Until he felt something warm being placed on his shoulders and drying him off. He swiftly turned around and then a hand had launched forward and covered his mouth. The person leaned in and placed a finger to their lips.

"Shh, shh! Be calm. I need you to calm down... Listen to me, carefully....I'm going to get you out of here. But I need you to trust me."

Chapter 22: A Pathway to Revenge. Plans for the Future

Chapter Text

Somewhere in Northern Africa, a town where those calmly walk the streets and searching for goodies or cloths in a marketplace, the peace of tranquillity was shattered when people began to scream. The people screamed and run away from a horde of night creatures. Leading them through the night was none other than Isaac. Dracula's former general stops before a shop and gets off his horse. "Wait. In peace." Isaac tells his army as he enters the shop with two of his creations walking to guard the front door. The shop held numerous bottles of liquids, tickets, masks...a shop that has some levels of the mystics.

The owner, a blind man, took a few sniffs and said, "I smell you, Forgemaster."

"Interesting. Not many people can 'smell' an education." Isaac says as he walks over to the blind man.

"Hah...it's not an education. It's a curse. It's easy to detect. You just have to know what Hell smells like." The shop owner tells him.

"And you know the smell of Hell?" Isaac asks him as he went over to a display of daggers.

"Smelled it. Tasted it. Seen it. You're also a man of faith, aren't you?" He asks. "Perhaps a Sufi, I think?"

"Of a sort." Isaac says as he picks up and examines one of the blades. "My devotion has been a matter of interrogation for some years and the reparation of my heart is far away."

"If you had a God, then you probably also have a Devil. And if God created everything, then he also made Hell." The blind man said.

Isaac closed his eyes and said, "The prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, once said, one day there'll be no more human beings left in Hell. Perhaps I'm doing his work, and there'll come a time when my 'devotion' is perfected."

The blind shop owner then smiled at Isaac and says to him, "How can this humble collector be of service to you tonight, Forgemaster?"

"In my travels, I've heard tell that you possess a large Carpathian transmission mirror." Isaac says.

"Oh, I'm so sad to say that that was some years ago. Purchased from me by a lovely couple from Kolkata who did not go out during the day, if you take my meaning." The blind shop owner tells him. Feeling a bit disappointed with himself that he didn't have what his...valued customer wanted. ...Hmm, but maybe, he has something that might a be a suitable replacement.

"I do. Damn..." Isaac said.

"But I have something else that might be of interest." The blind shop owner told him. He turns to the side and picks up a small, adorned box. He places it on the counter and for Isaac to see. "A distance mirror. It's clever, if somewhat prideful." He chuckled a bit as he opened it the box. "It will read a thought arrange in your mind's eye. When I indicate, say your name and clap your hands."  The owner clapped his hands and the glass shards rose from the box and pieced each other together to show Isaac his reflection.

"And it likes to be called "Sir"." The owner added.

"The mirror wants to be called "Sir"?" Isaac questioned.

"I don't make the rules. I just run the shop." The owner laughed a bit. "Sir, you will obey the wishes of the one who speaks his name next."

The Forgemaster looked at both the man and mirror...strangely, but it's nothing too tedious. Just a simple rule, is all. "Isaac." He said as he clapped his hands. Now the mirror is his to command. "Sir Mirror, see my wish." His reflection vanished and the mirror travelled a great distance. Past walkways of snow, through a sea of trees, and over the high tops of mountains. Phasing through the walls of a building before it revealed Isaac's wish; Hector.

The former general saw him curled into a ball as he laid bare on a blanket. He spread a smile and laughed. "Ha! There you are! Are you breathing, betrayer?" Isaac looked into the mirror and saw that Hector was still breathing. It appears he was sound asleep. "Good. Sir Mirror, where are we?" The mirror dissolved Hector's image and showed an image of a large castle. An enormous building which rivals in size and sumptuousness to Dracula's Castle itself. "Hmmm...I do not recognise this place. Sir Mirror, who owns this castle you show me."

The image faded and revealed to Isaac the castle's owner. The one who most deserves his wrath. The ambitious and calculating Vampire mistress, Carmilla. "Carmilla..." Isaac says with a low growl as he narrowed his eyes at the Vampiress. "So, this is Styria." He concluded as he clapped his hands, making the glass shards fall softly into the box. The shop owner closed the lid and asks Isaac, "Was this a useful thing?"

"Extremely. You have my thanks." He said.

"Hmm. Take the mirror. It's yours." The old shop owner says as he pushes the box towards the younger man. Isaac then stared at the man with genuine surprise and asked him, "You would give me such a valuable thing as a gift?"

"I would. I have a feeling you haven't received many gifts in your life, and it pleases me to improve that balance." The shop owner tells him as Isaac takes the distance mirror. "Also, I fully expect to go to hell one day, and that would be a situation where I would be glad to be owed a favour by a Forgemaster." He said. For what Isaac thought might've been the first time in his life, he and the old man shared a genuine laugh. Isaac never thought he'd be the receiving end of kindness of this old man, and that made him happy. He walks out of the shop and tells his horde that they shall find a ship.

However, though Isaac was planning to leave the city, the local authorities trap him and demand that he leaves. "We will have no truck with mystics or demons, you will get out of this city right now, or face the consequences." The leader says.

"I intend to." Isaac said, trying to leave this situation as peacefully as he can. "I am walking to the port to find a ship right now." He began to walk away from them, but the authorities were testing his patience with their imprudence and stupidity. "No, you will leave the city."

"Yes, by boat."

"One more word and you will die and then your monsters. Move!" The leader commanded him as he drew out his sword. Isaac looked at the man and was reminded of the cruelty and folly of humankind. He stared at the local men with great malice. He sighs in frustration. "I was spoiled by a single act of kindness in this city and so I tempted to be reasonable. Honest. And peaceful. This was against my better nature. It was stupid to expect anything other than hate from you. I keep making the same mistake." Isaac says as a smirk appeared on his face. "I should know better. I don't need any of your bodies for forging. You may eat."

These foolish authorities, who could've allowed Isaac to leave the city peacefully, had left him no choice but to unleash his wrath. And he sends his night creatures on them. Their demise could've been avoided had they just been a little more sensible. Just but more reasonable. And Isaac would have spared their lives. But they forced his hand. The screams of the dead were heard all over the city. The people were either killed or devoured alive by the night creatures as the streets were painted with pretty red blood and inner organs.

At the docks, a fairly tall man with dark skin and a white beard, sat on a crate as he chugged down a bottle on the finest liquor down this throat. "Bored. Hurry yer arses up. I'm bored and I want to be goin' somewhere." He says to his crewmates as they stored the ship with supplies. He goes to drink again but finds that the bottle was empty. With a sneer, the man tossed the bottle into the ocean. "Even though we sailing somewhere old and visited often and boring, least we be sailing somewhere."

The man nonchalantly turns his head to the marketplace when he hears several people screaming and various snarls and growls. Many people quickly ran away as Isaac and his army arrives at the dock. The man smirked as he thought that something new and exciting came along. Isaac looked over the massive ship then turned to the man. "My friends and I need a ship to take us Genoa." He says.

"Well, this is my ship right here." The man says with a smile.

"Then perhaps, we'll take this one." Isaac says, with a matching smile. As they converse, the man's crew stood onboard, watching them with cannons near them. "You could. You surely could. I see all your sharp-tooth little friends and I've been afloat long enough to know what they are." The man said.

"Then why are you still talking to me?" Isaac asks.

"Because I'm interested and I like to do business, and you tell me you need a ship." The man responded.

"I do. It seems suitable."  Isaac says as he walked closer towards the man. "I believe I will kill you and all your men and take it." The man wasn't bothered by that in the slightest and looked like he was going to give a happy laugh. "You could. You surely could. But if you did all that murderin' and takin', who would be left to sail it?" He asks.

"Sailing a boat cannot be hard." Isaac says as he took a few steps towards the massive ship and looked at in deep thought. The man let out a wholehearted laugh, amused by this new stranger. "Well, if weren't hard, then why would sailors exist? Why would sheeps need crews?" He asks.

"You make a good point. But I've already made the mistake tonight of expecting humans to make decent decisions." Isaac tells him.

"Perhaps you weren't offerin' them coins." The man says.

"I'm not offering you coins." Isaac said.

The man smiled at him. "Yes, you are. You are offerin' coins for me ship and our skills. And your word that your beasties won't eat any of me crew." For the second time that night, Isaac was left in genuine surprised. "My word?"

"You've just said that you've been disappointed by men making improper decisions, that leads me to believe that you a man in your word." The man said. Isaac let out a chuckle. He too is finding this man to be oddly amusing. "You are a strange man." He says.

"I'm bored. Sailing with you, Sir Forgemaster, will be many things, but I doubt it will be boring." The man tells him. "Will you be coming aboard this night?"

The former general faced the man with a smile and made proper introductions. "I am Isaac. What is your name, captain?" He asked.

"Name? Hahaha. God knows. Forgot it long ago." The man said. "Doesn't matter. I'm the Captain, that's all you need to know and all you need to call me." The Captain stood up from the crate and looked at the Forgemaster with a smile. "Do I have your word, Isaac?"

"You do."

"And your coins, I trust." The Captain says as he held out his hands.

"...Oh, yes." Isaac said.

"Then we shake hands, as travellers who made an agreement to sail together without threat or fear." The Captain said. Isaac was hesitant at first, but he still offered his hand. "Agreed." He said as the two shook hands, sealing their mutual agreement for a safe voyage. "Or bein' by beasties."

Isaac laughed a bit. "You will not be eaten by my beasties." The Captian chuckled. He knew that this was going to be a fun sailing. "Excellent. Lads! We have guests!" He shouts to his crew. "We sail for Genoa!"

*Carmilla's Castle*

Four of the five sisters sat at the table drinking blood as they awaited for Carmilla's returned. Except for Lilith, who was too preoccupied in examining and playing with the bottled gipsy woman to drink. Carmilla decided to let her be in charge of keeping an eye on her. Having trust that Lilith wouldn't leave it unguarded. Leonora glared at her and the young Vampiress giggled and tapped on the glass. "My, my...! You have such pretty eyes. I think I know what you want, little miss." Lilith giggled.

"I have it!" Carmilla declares as she walked into the room with a map in hand.

"What do you have?" Morana asked her.

"The future." Carmilla says. Striga raises her brows with interest at her fellow Vampiric sister. "Oh, I can't wait for this. She's been home five minutes and she's already carrying the future rolled up under her arm." She says with a smile.

Lilith let out a happy giggle as she says, "Did you expect anything less, Big Sister Striga? That's how Carmilla likes to do things, holding the future in her hands."

"The future does seem very portable." Lenore says in thought.

"Well, it's the future isn't it?" Morana said as she chuckled. "You can't see it yet so I suppose it can't wait very much."

"Your comedy act hasn't improved while I've been away." Carmilla deadpans as she lays down a map of Eastern Europe on the table. "I had the cartographer in. Come and look at this." She says. As her sisters rose to view the map, Carmilla points at the country of Austria. "This is us." She says. "We have never been able to project our power west. Too many strong nations. But if we look east...we see an entire region fractured and devastated by Dracula's actions. From here to Braila. Our march from there to here defines a destabilised zone with no real power structures or organisation."

"That must be 800 miles of territory as the crow flies." Striga says.

"What do you plan to call this territory once we gain control of it, Carmilla?" Lilith asks her.

"I want you to think as Great Austria. A corridor nation." The white-haired said.

Morana laughed. "You've gone mad."

Carmilla chuckled as well. "The Vampire groups in this corridor are hopelessly splintered and very likely decimated by the battle at Braila." She says. Lenore and Lilith both looked at the map in deep thought and listened to Carmilla's words carefully. "The humans are in complete chaos, hiding in villages and being picked up by abandoned night creatures lose in the field." She says. Lenore's eyes widen as the puzzle pieces in her mind slowly began to go into place.

"Oh, oh wait..! I think I see. It's a pen, isn't it? A pen for livestock?" The ginger red-haired Vampire asked. Lilith let out a soft gasp as she tugged at Carmilla's arm. "A pen? Does that mean we're going to have pets to play with, does it?" She asked, excitedly. Carmilla chuckled at the young Vampire girl and patted her head. "That's right. We enclose this corridor with all the humans in it." Carmilla said with a smirk. Striga thought about it for a moment before she crossed her arms and looked unsure about this plan.

"Morana's right. You're insane." Striga said. "How could we even police such long borders?"

"We lost so many soldiers at Braila that I'm not even sure how we hold off an attack from our neighbours right now." Morana says.

"We have Hector the Forgemaster in our cells." Carmilla stated. "Hector can make night creatures. The otherwise useless little bastard can, in fact, create us a new army from the regiments of hell itself. And that is how we take control of the corridor and trap ourselves a flock of livestock that will keep us fed forever." Carmilla walked over to the cabinet holding blood and cups. "That's the wonderful thing about humans, leave a handful of them alone for five minutes and they'll make more little humans." She says, laughing as she poured herself a drink. "Self-replicating food."

The Vampire sisters looked at each other, taking some thought to Carmilla's plan. Now that she put more context to the plan...it might seem possible. Though her words and her plan for the future twisted a heart, and controlled hate and anger towards her was boiling inside. "So, that's my plan. Take over a large enclosure of land, surround it, rule over it like the empresses of old and drink all the humans forever. Brilliant, isn't it?"

"It's lunatic." Striga says as she held her head. "Do you know what annoys about it most?"

"What?" Carmilla asks as she takes a sip of blood.

"It's a really good idea." Striga says with a smile. Carmilla laughs as she walks back to her sisters. "The moment is perfect. Your experience and all of our intelligence tells it's chaos from here to Dedaube. We simply don't have the strength of numbers to make it work." Carmilla takes a seat at the table as she drank more of fresh blood. "But we do have Hector." She says.

"Hector will never create anything for you, even if he did, he'll send it to rip your throat out. I dearly hope it will."

The Vampire sisters turned their head towards their youngest sister in slight confusion. Lilith blinked and shook her head, pointing down to the gipsy woman in the bottle. Leonora was glaring daggers at the white-haired Vampire. Lenore smiled a bit and said, "Ah, so she can speak."

"Why on earth do you have to keep a lowlife like this one?" Striga asks Carmilla as she gazed down at the trapped fire-wielder.

"Believe me, I would love nothing more than to kill her or to drop her off a cliff...unfortunately, I can't...! Apparently, there's a bonding spell between me and her. If I were to toss her in a ditch or off a cliff, the bottle will be transported back to me. The bottle is unbreakable so I can't crush her to death. And I cannot risk letting her out to kill her personally if her flames doesn't kill us first." Carmilla explains, glaring back the golden-green eyed woman. Of course, Carmilla will love nothing more than to dispatch the wretch that dared to have burned her skin twice, however, she knew that Leonora was Hector's major weakness. Even though he has no idea of the binding spell, she could still threaten her and Silvanus to get him to do what she wants.

"You say that Hector will never create anything for me, but he's quite pliable." Carmilla tells her and the rest of the Vampiric sisters sat at the table.

"Perhaps...but that was only once due to your hideous manipulation." Leonora said. "And then you got him to betray his master, made him see his goals destroyed, imprisoned me, take me and my child hostage, nearly beat him half to death and dragged him 800 miles at the end of the rope. If you think even for a second that my beloved would do another favour for you... then you're more vexatious than I thought."

Carmilla angrily hissed at her but the gipsy woman didn't back down. She wasn't afraid of her. She can throw hisses and yell at her all she wants. There wasn't much Carmilla could do anything to her. The sisters looked at each other and Striga let out a sigh. "I hate to say it, but she makes a fair point." The white-haired Vampiress let out an angry scoff as she leaned back into her seat. Not wanting to admit it either, but she knew that Leonora was right. Carmilla also knew that they couldn't torture him or the child as her magic active. So long as she's alive, no harm will come to them.

"Also night creatures are loyal to their Forgemasters. We might just be giving him the opportunity to create his own army." Striga pointed out.

Lilith then felt a surge of excitement going through her and she raised her hand just as Lenore spoke up. "Let me handle it." They both said at the same time.

Carmilla looked over at them. "Really?"

Lenore smiled at the youngest and reached out to hold her hand. Telling her, "We can do it together." Before turning to Carmilla. "Striga's the fighter, Morana's the organizer, they both have a plan to deal with. Let us solve Hector."

"I can see Lilith solving Hector while also playing her little games, but I trust her to remember the task at hand. However, Lenore, is this going to be like the time you found a spider with one broken leg and you tore the castle apart looking for something to make a splint out of." Carmilla says.

Lenore then became somewhat embarrassed and let out a scoff as she turned away. "No."

"You won't convince Hector to do anything for you. He knows better than to trust Vampires with dead hearts." Leonora tells them.

"Perhaps...but with Lilith's games, I think he might." Carmilla says with a smug smirk.

"What do you mean?" Leonora asked.

"You can protect Hector from physical harm but his mind is left wide open. Lilith, dear heart, do you understand what I mean?" She asks the dark-brown haired girl.

Lilith looked at her with slight confusion before she lit up. She giggled and said, "Oh! You mean something like this?" Lilith placed Leonora on the table before standing up. With a snap of her fingers, Lilith's formed was consumed by a swirl of magic. It grew in size and lit up the entire room before it faded away. Leonora's eyes widened in pure shock at what she was seeing as Carmilla's smirk widened. "I'm certain Lilith in this new form and her playful nature might be beneficial in convincing Hector to do our bidding."

Chapter 23: Seeking Knowledge of Dracula. New Hunters?

Chapter Text

The following morning, the town of Lindenfeld all seems to be at peace. Everyone was going about their daily lives despite the near-incident with Sala and his monks, so there was nothing much for them to worry about. In an inn, Trevor turns in his sleep and tries to rest a bit more but his body told him that he slept enough and he awoke. He opened his eyes and he smiled when he saw Sypha, still asleep, beside him. He moved onto his back and closes his eyes, a content smile on his face. Sypha grunts in her sleep(?) as she turned to the side and her hand smack ontop Trevor's face.

"I supposed I'm awake now." Trevor said, a bit muffled underneath her hand.

"Mm. Sh'up." Sypha mumbled, still sleepy.

"Sorry."

"Good boy." Sypha says as she pats his face. Trevor let out a sigh as he gets out of bed. Once he was dressed, he goes into town and takes a walk through the streets. Viewing the many shops, owners, and citizens that went from two and fro to set everything in order. Although, what caught his attention was the small number of people wearing cloaks with their hoods over their head. No matter where they go, they made sure to keep their hoods were up. It's almost as if they didn't want anyone to see their faces or know who they were. However, Trevor didn't see them do anything wrong. From the way he sees things, they were being very polite and softspoken to those the citizens.

Their behaviour reminded him of someone. Someone very special to him. His eyes saddened but a kind smile spread on his face. "I wonder if she's doing alright." He said silently to himself. "That half-Vampire bastard had better be taking care of her as promised." Before his mood could get sullied, a delicious smell wafted under his nose and his attention was taken by a vendor selling freshly baked bread and other goodies.

"Those smell so good. Can I take two?" Trevor asks the woman selling them. She smiled at him and was about to do so when Saint-Germain just so happened to be strolling by with the hodden children. Saint-Germain instantly stopped and cut in between them. "Those are on me." He says as he flips a coin at the woman who only gave him a sneer. Sait-Germain then to turned to Trevor and, to the last Hunter completely surprised, said, "Mr. Belmont. My, my...what are formidable beast you are."

The two children let out a gasp of shock when Saint-Germain spoke out that name and looked to Trevor in awe. "Excuse me?" Trevor questioned as the mysterious man picked up two loaves of bread. "You're excused. But...not them." He said as he motioned towards the children as they had immediately latched themselves at Trevor's arms. Smiling and laughing at him. "What-...what the-?" Trevor went.

"Hahaha, don't mind them. They're harmless." Saint-Germain says as the four of them began to walk together. "I recognised, of course, the crest of the noble house of Belmont upon your fine tunic. Oh. Well, this fine tunic that has, in fact, seen better days isn't it? Perhaps one of these local artisans might conduct some discrete repairs upon it." Saint-Germain said.

"Or we can fix it up for you..!" The children happily said in unison as they tugged on Trevor's sleeves.

"And perhaps even introduce it to the apparent mysteries of soap and water." Saint-Germain added.

Trevor wrests himself from the children's hold and step away from them. Eyeing at them suspiciously. "Uh, who the hell are you?" He asked.

"Indeed! Hell! These are the conversations we must have. But first," Saint-Germain says as he takes Trevor's hand and gave him the two loaves. He and the children took a step back and gave him a bow, making their introductions. "Allow me to formally introduce ourselves. I am the Count Saint-Germain. Doubtless your family told you stories about me."

"My family were a little too...dead to tell me many stories." Trevor said.

"Oh, of course. The purge. Great. Sympathies. Terrible crimes." Saint-Germain says with a more or less, nonchalant manner before turning his attention to the children beside him. He looked around a bit and didn't see them anywhere, so these kids should be safe. "These two, not mine, just so you know, are Selina and Duke. Twins." Saint-Germain said as he pulled down the children's hoods.

Trevor's eyes widened when he saw them and he immediately recognised the girl to be the one who had helped him battle that night creature yesterday. The twins, Selina and Duke, have a slender build with tanned skin and large mixed-coloured eyes. Both couldn't be no older than twelve-years-old.

Selina has nape-length, straight indigo hair which she wears into a bob, with a scruffy fringe and two long strands of hair framing her face. Her left eye was blue while her right eye was green. She wore a white top with a purple skirt and brown corset and has a brown cord tied around her left ankle, and she was barefoot.

Duke, who looks nearly identical to his young sister, has medium-length indigo hair with a scruffy fringe and two long strands of hair framing his face. He has feminine features. His right eye was blue while his left eye was green. He wore a long-sleeved shirt, a pair of dark green pants held up by a belt and has a brown cord tied around his right ankle, and he was barefoot.

Trevor leaned down to their height and stared at them in pure disbelief as they smiled at him like he was some grand hero of legend. Which...wasn't too far off. The twins laughed and were jumping in excitement as Selina says, "We have seen you and your partner in the forest, we came in to assist you."

"But we never could have imagined we would be meeting with you. Master Belmont, it's a sincere honour to be in your presence." Duke tells him.

"You two... Are you...?" Trevor began to ask before they turned to Saint-Germain. "Master Saint-Germain has been sharing his tales of the noble Belmont Family to our people as well." Duke said.

Saint-Germain chuckled as they resumed their walk. The twins pulling their hoods back up but still going over to hold Trevor's hands. "Well, I knew your family, and your family's sacred role in this country." He says. "I was curious as to what brought you to remote Lindenfeld and such an entrance. Dragging a dead night creature behind your simple wagon, a flourish worthy of the royal courts of Europe. You are practically the Jesus of murder."

"I have no idea what's happening right now." Trevor says, not liking how this strange man knows so much about him and his family.

"Why are you here, Belmont?" Saint-Germain asks him. Trevor glances down at the twins, who were now staring at Saint-Germain with slight confusion. Feeling a surge protectiveness, he grasped their hands and looks back to the man. "What business is that of yours?" He asks.

"That remains to be seen." Saint-Germain says.

Not liking where this is going, Trevor decided to opt-out of this conversation. "I'm taking breakfast back to my partner. Thanks for paying." He glances down to Selina and Duke and asks them, "How would you like to spend time with a member of the Belmont?" They stared up at him with complete surprised but their eyes were shining. "Is that acceptable, Master Belmont?" Duke asked. "We wouldn't desire to produce you any difficulty." Selina said.

"No, it's alright. Besides, I have something to show you." Trevor tells them as he begins to walk away with the smiling twins in hand. Saint-Germain opened his mouth to speak once more but Trevor held up a finger and shushed him right up. "No." He says as he quickly left before he gets another chance to speak. As Saint-Germain watches the trio leave, his eyes widened when he caught sight of the monks of the Priory watching in the distance. His heart stopped when he believed they were watching the hooded children. He quickly walked over to them and acted like nothing was wrong.

"Prior Sala. What a beautiful morning." He greeted them.

"Saint-Germain." He greeted.

"I was wondering if you'd given more thought to my request." He tells him.

"You wish to enter the Priory for reasons that escape me." Sala says.

"I had been told that some of your books had been damaged when night creatures struck the Priory." Saint-Germain said. "Further that some of the books were in languages unfamiliar to you. ....And that you had no scribes."

"That much is true." Sala said with a tilt of his head. "Our one scribe was blessed with a quick death, and we didn't even have to bury all of him."

"Uh, because...?" Saint-Germain asked.

"Partially devoured." Sala replied. "A considerate chap, really."

"...A-ah, I have scribal skills and speak a great many languages. I can also survey your artworks and," Saint-Germain paused as he leaned in close to Sala and quietly said, "I have knowledge of Dracula." This greatly piques Sala's interest.  "You do?" He asks.

"Further. I know that the Church had certain knowledge of Dracula for generations and some of it likely resides in the books you cannot read or repair." Saint-Germain said.

"And what do you want in return?" Sala asked him.

"Acess to the Priory. To see its beauty and to add to my knowledge." Saint-Germain says. "I'm but a humble scholar and such things are the only riches I desire." Sala and his monks faced the mysterious man with a serious expression and Sala says, "Let me be clear. I no longer have interest in the books of the Church. The Church killed Dracula's wife. We have what you might call an... new understanding of our relationship to God. But new knowledge of Dracula and Hell would be useful to us in our work." Sala then nodded his head and gave a very small smile towards Saint-Germain.

"You may have limited access to the Priory so that you can search for it." Sala tells him.

Saint-Germain thought about it and questioned, "Limited, how?"

Sala's smile dropped instantly and gave him a scary look. "Limited. Do you agree."

"I do." Saint-Germain quickly said, not wanting to blow this chance. "So agree, Prior Sala. Thank you."

"It's done." Sala says as he, his men and Saint-Germain turn to leave in separate directions, when the self-proclaimed scholar stops in his tracks. "Um, one...one question." He said, halting Sala in the process. "If I may. What interests you so much about Hell?" Saint-Germain asked.

"Dracula's wife is alive in Hell. Dracula went from Braila to join her there." Sala tells him. With that said, Sala and his men left now that their business was done with. Saint-Germain remained where he stood as he watched them leave. Once they were out of ear-shot, the man let out a disturbing shiver. Honestly, talking to Sala was so damn uncomfortable. But at the very least, he made some progress.

"Well, that was unusual. Still, finally, forward motion." Saint- Germain says to himself as he sped walk through the streets as he thought about his plans a few more times. "I may yet triumph. Of course, I will triumph. How could it be otherwise? I am immortal and glorious, and, excluding that lovely clan, all these other people smell of piss."

*Belmont Hold*

"Haha, no, no. Though we are taught how to do magic, my people prefer to think that magic as a whole is wild and unpredictable. That's why it's so beautiful." Miri told Alucard as they walked through the forest, each holding a bucket.

"Your people developed magical abilities at the age of three, were taught how to use them, but still have it be free. Quite an unusual concept." Alucard chuckled a bit.

"Perhaps, but that's how we work with magic." Miri said. She let out a soft giggle before she let out a tired yawn. Alucard looked over at her and placed a hand on her back. "Are you feeling alright, my darling? You look ready to fall asleep where you stand." He asked her, worried that she might be feeling ill. Two days ago, Alucard had been noticing that Miri wasn't getting enough sleep but he didn't want to say anything because he did not want to get too overly worried as it could be nothing. Miri smiled up at him and she nodded.

"Yes, I am fine. Forgive me, Adrian. I didn't mean to worry you. I've been doing some studying in your father's library. I wanted to see the knowledge he gained throughout the centuries." She told him.

Alucard smiled as he let out a sigh of relief. "My darling. There's nothing to forgive. You can study as much as you want, but please think about your health. Sleep if you have to." He told her as he reached up to cup her cheek. Miri leaned into his touch and nodded. "I will. Promise." She said.

"Thank you." He says as the two walked over to a nearby ravine. Alucard knelt and collected some water while Miri stood beside. They were enjoying the quiet...when they suddenly heard a branch snapping...and it sounded close. However, Alucard and Miri pretended not to have noticed it and continued as normal.

Alucard gave Miri his full bucket and she handed him hers to fill as they kept their senses alerted. Alucard closed his eyes and listened. Carefully... a pair of footprints ran through the forest. And a bow being drawn. Alucard said as he reached down to pick up the bucket, but also reaching for a large stone. The brought up the bucket and waited patiently. When he heard footprints getting closer, he struck! He quickly rose to his feet and chucked the stone at one of the assailants.

"Miri." "Yes." Alucard quickly grabbed hold of her and placed her on his back as he moves in extraordinary speed in short bursts, leaving trace images of his movement. Racing through the trees. The stone ricochet from one tree to the next, zigzagging until it struck the archer. He let out a yell as he was hit. Alucard raced through the trees as he closed in on the second one. Upon sight, Miri raised her hand and froze the person's feet. She jumped off of Alucard's back as he pinned the second assailant down. He raised his hand, claws extended, preparing to strike when the young woman looked up to him.

"Please!" She begged. A human.

"We will not be hunted." Alucard said as he narrowed his eyes at the woman.

"Please, state your affairs and you will be let go." Miri tells the young woman as she places a hand on Alucard's shoulder, wanting to settle this without further violence.

"We are not hunting you." The woman said, trying her best to calm him, and herself, down. "You are the Alucard."

"The what?" The former asked.

"We need your help." The woman tells him.

"With an arrow in one of our backs?" Alucard questioned her. He didn't know who was the arrow's target, but there was no way he was going to let them lay so much as a finger on Miri.

"He was going to cover me. I was going to come out to talk to you." She says.

"Really?" Alucard said.

"To be fair, it would've been easier to just come out more peacefully if you wished to simply talk." Miri told her.

"That...might've been. We have come a long way. Please, I need to know he's all right." The. woman said.

"If I wanted him dead, I would've aimed higher." Alucard says as they heard footsteps approaching them. Miri turned and raised her hand, raising spikes of ice a good distance away from them. "If he wants to continue living he should stop right there." Alucard said as the archer made his to the scene, gasping for air as he held his chest. He quickly stops when he came face to face with the icy spikes. "Please leave her alone! You are the Alucard, and we do need your help." The archer tells him.

"I am "the" anything." Alucard said as he gets off of the woman. He places his hands on Miri's shoulders and they both step away from her. The woman looks at the blond-haired Dhampir and says, "Adrian Ţepeş. The Alucard. The anti-Dracula."

"Just Alucard." He says as Miri turned back to the other male and let down the spikes. Allowing him to run over and help the woman up to her feet. Coughing as he was still recovering from that heavy blow to the chest. The woman placed a hand on her friend's shoulder and helped steady himself. "Who are you?" Alucard asked them.

"I am Sumi. This is Taka." The woman introduced. "We hunt Vampires."

"Not you. Real Vampires." Taka informs him. "The pursued our target became the pursued of the castle. And we only discovered yesterday that you and this young girl living in it."

Alucard and Miri looked at each other. Miri shook her head before they turned back to the hunters. "I didn't notice you yesterday. Not even Miri could detect your heartbeats. You're better than I thought. Who was your quarry?" Alucard asked.

"Her name is Chō." Sumi said. Chō was a Japanese female Vampire and was one of Dracula's generals. The one who could turn her body into mist. "We were slaves to her court in Japan. She left to become a general in Dracula's war. We were able to escape her court in that time."

"We followed her here. We learned to track the castle." Taka said.

"If she was in the castle with Dracula, then she died at Braila." Alucard told them.

Sumi nodded. "Yes. But she's not the only Vampire in Japan." She says as she and Taka held the hands of each other. "We need more knowledge then we have to fight them."

"We were looking for the castle. We had no idea how to find you. Ignoring for the moment the fact that I think you smashed all of my ribs..." Taka says with a laugh. "This is a good day for us."

"Alucard, will you teach us?" Sumi asked him.

"Teach you?" Alucard questioned as he crosses his arms.

"We are alone in this world and we do not have enough power or knowledge to free our people of the Vampires." Sumi said. Miri looked at the other woman with sympathetic eyes as she took a step forward. "You're alone? How many Vampires are left in your home?" She asks them, wanting to gain a better understanding of their situation. Alucard took hold of her hand and pulled her away from them.

"You know things and you have a knowledge famously contained within Dracula's castle. Will you teach us how to fight for the freedom of others?" Sumi asks. She turned to Miri, hoping that she would help defend their case. The silver-lavender eyed girl turned to her lover and squeezed his hand. "Adrian, they've come such a distance to find help. We cannot turn them away when they hold a noble task. We must help gain the strength and knowledge necessary to save their people." She tells him.

"They are alone..." Alucard said. He reached up to cup her cheek. "Just as you were before we found one another. Just as I would've been had you left." He turned to see Sumi and Taka's pleading expressions, silently begging him to teach him everything he knows. "Follow me." Alucard said as he and Miri walked away. Sumi and Taka glanced at each other before they followed the two back to the Castle, and the Belmont Hold.

"Do you know where you are?" Alucard asked. "Not really." Taka said. He glanced up at the large, foreboding structure and pointed at it. "That is Dracula's castle."

Alucard smirked and said, "That's my castle." Then his smile faded. "My father is dead." He told them. That caught Sumi and Taka by surprised and looked at the blond-haired Dhampir in disbelief. "Dracula is dead?" Sumi asked.

"Yes. By my hand." Alucard turned his head to Miri and wrapped an arm around her shoulders. Bringing her close to him. "By the hand of a gipsy. And the hand of a Speaker. And the hand of the last of the Belmonts."

"Under our feet is the Belmont Hold, repository of all their knowledge." Miri said, motioning towards the half-finished Belmont estate and the ground beneath them.

"And there is my castle, containing all of my father's knowledge. And up here," Alucard paused as he and Miri pointed to their heads. They smiled at the two hunters. "Is all of ours. You want to learn how to fight Vampires and save your people?"

"More than anything." Sumi said.

"It will be hard. You will have to unlearn much of what you know about the world and take on more than you ever imagined." Alucard said. "I'm not going to start this if you're going to stop when it gets difficult."

"We are committed. We will take all that you can give." Taka tells him with much sincerity and confidence.

"Well then. I think...to pass on the secrets of the world, and the true science... I think my mother would approve." Alucard says, mostly to himself. Miri smiled lovingly at him as he thought about his mother. How she had wished to pass on what she had learned from his father, so that she may make the world better. The two lovers then gazed at each other and took each other's hands. "Now we are not alone." She says. Surprising Sumi and Taka, and making Alucard smile.

"Come on then." Alucard said to the two. "We begin." Sumi and Taka smiled, laughing in complete joy as they followed the keepers of knowledge, eager to begin their training to become true hunters and fight for the freedom of others.

Chapter 24: An Investigation Is Underway

Chapter Text

The wind softly breezes by as the Lindenfeld remain to be peaceful and quiet. Snow was slowly starting to pile up but it wasn't anything to hold anyone back. Of course, the silence was interrupted by the laughter of two joyful children. When Sypha woke up and went outside she was surprised to see Trevor walking up with children hanging off his arms. She quickly recognised them to be the same children that assisted them out in the forest. But that wasn't all that surprised her. Trevor had the same hunch as well.

"This is my partner, Sypha. Sypha, these two are-." Trevor began to say when the twins let go and ran towards the Speaker. They smiled up at her as they made their introductions. "Pleasent greetings Lady Sypha." They said in unison. That made Sypha laugh a bit. "Lady?"

"My name is Duke,"

"And I am Selina,"

"It's very nice to meet you." They said in unison. Sypha smiled at them and bent down to their height. "It's very nice to meet you too. I want to thank you for helping us fight those Night Creatures." She said.

"Speaking of which, just what exactly were the two of you doing out there anyway?" Trevor asked them. Then he became incredibly concerned and knelt before them. If they were what they think they were... They were so young. Just little kids...all alone. He placed on his hands on their shoulders and said, "Look, I don't know how long you've been on your own, but there should be no reason for you two to-."

"On no, no, Lord Belmont. We aren't alone." Selina told him gently.

"We were indeed sent to dispatch the night creatures, but we aren't alone in this world." Duke said.

This caught Trevor and Sypha by surprised. "What do you mean by 'sent'?" Sypha asked. The two lead the children to a nearby bench and the twins began their explanation, relieving their identity. "Oh, where shall we begin?" Selina happily questioned, turning to her brother. "For some time we've been hiding in shadows and travelling through the night. Ever since we were attacked five years ago, so many of us perished, and we tried desperately to avoid being spotted." Duke said.

"But then we heard tales that two of our brother and sister had been spotted in the town of Gresit and had fought to protect its people. They've done the impossible and changed their fates." Selina says as she and her brother gripped each other's hands. Smiling at each other and giggling a bit. "We've thought there were only ten of us left, but now that we've discovered that more are out there, we've decided to fight our fate as well." Duke said.

The Hunter and the Speaker were staring at the children in pure disbelief. The way they spoke and how happy they look on changing their life, that could only mean one thing. They looked at each other first before Sypha asked, "Please, don't take this the wrong way, but are the two of you... gipsies?"

"And there are ten of you?" Trevor asked.

The twins nodded happily. "It is alright, Lady Sypha." Selina said. "We are, and that is correct Lord Belmont. All of us are staying in this town for the time being before we leave." Duke said. Trevor and Sypha could barely hold in their amazement as they stared at the twins. They couldn't believe they've done it. They had promised her and now, here are living proof that her family was still alive. Trevor and Sypha smiled at each other before the hunter asked, "What if I told you that we're good friends with a member of your clan?"

They reached presented them with their pendants, the symbol of their clan. The twins' eyes widened upon viewing them. "We made a promise to her that we would show this if we ever found her family again." Sypha said.

The twins let out a gasp before jumping and crying out in joy. They hugged each other tightly as they spun around. "I knew it! I knew more of us were out there!" Selina said. They turned back to Trevor and Sypha, surprised them when they jumped, giving them a huge hug. "Lord Belmont, Lady Sypha! We and the clan," Duke said as he and his sister pulled away, bowing before the two as if they were gods. "We give you our most humble thanks. We thank you for bestowing us such marvellous news."

Trevor grabbed the twins and pulled them up to their feet. "First off, never do that again. And second, there's no need to thank us. We made a promise to a friend, and we were happy to see it through." He said.

The twins were still smiling from ear to ear. Then Selina let out a joyous gasp. "Duke, we must go inform Chief at once!"

"Sister, you are unquestionably correct! We must tell him, no doubt it will finally bring a smile to his face." Duke said. "Lord Belmont, Lady Sypha. Please, allow us to come back with our Chief, I'm sure he wishes to thank you as well."

"Of course, we'll be here." Sypha said, smiling at the two children. They jumped for joy once more, hugging them, before running off to find their leader. Trevor smiled at them as he watched them go. "Ha...I can't believe we've found them. No doubt they'll want to go find Miri after this." He said.

"I don't doubt that for a moment. I can already picture what her face will look like." Sypha said with a small laugh. Then they sat in silence as they watched the clouds pass by. While being in this town seemed peaceful, they knew that they had to leave eventually, but...what would they do then?

"So...what's next?" Sypha asked.

"Don't you." Trevor said.

"I mean, I suppose we could take a break." Sypha suggested with a smile.

"We could...hmm." Trevor said.

"After finding the night creatures terrorising the villages down from here." Sypha said, which brings a smile to Trevor's face. "And the fat thing living at the bottom of the village as well." He added.

"And the creek toad monster? Hunting humans by the river fort?" Sypha asked with a knowing smile.

"The night creatures and the flying goats?" Trevor asked.

"Flying goats..! Now that was..."

"Disturbing?"

"Yes. Disturbing."

"They shat on a farm, Sypha. And their shit was on fire." Trevor said.

"Yes. That was terrible." Sypha said.

"Burning devil goat turds...from the sky." Trevor said. He looked over at Sypha and gave a smile, reaching over to clasp her hand. "You weren't gonna say "disturbing", were you? You were going to say... Fun?/!" Trevor and Sypha said at the same time. Laughing wholeheartedly as Sypha laid her head on Trevor's lap. "Oh my God, so much fun!" She said.

"Ah, you've gone insane." Trevor said.

"Really. The most fun I've ever had in my life." Sypha said, with a bright smile. Like a bird who was now learning how to soar through the clouds. "This has been amazing!"

Trevor stifled in a laugh. "And now?" He asks her. Sypha looked up at the sky and smiled. "Well, this is...nice. I suppose."

"You're bored." Trevor said as she sat up straight. She couldn't deny it. She couldn't even if she tried. "Sleeping in a bed was nice. I mean, I'm not complaining or anything." Sypha said.

"The bed was actually pretty good, I'm used to sleeping under trees." Trevor said as he rubbed the back on his neck.

"Sleeping in the wagon is nice too." Sypha said as she leaned to lay her head on his shoulder. Trevor smiled at her at that. "Better than sleeping under trees."

"See? So after we met with Selina and Duke's chief, we should get in the wagon and roll on out of here." Sypha said with much enthusiasm. Trevor gave her a look and raised a brow. Sypha noticed and turned to him. "What?"

"'Roll on out of here'?" Trevor questioned with an amused smile.

"That's what we do. Belnades and Belmont. We roll out and hit the road and fight nasty hovering death goats that open their flaming bowels upon the innocent." Sypha said, sounding much like a hero of pure justice.

"Belmont and Belnades." Trevor said.

"Belnades and her dancing bear." Sypha said as she grasps his arms. Trevor merely rolled his eyes and smiled at her. "I've never liked goats. Horrible eyes. Do you know that some people have sex with them?" She asks.

"So I've heard." Trevor replied. "Shall we buy some food for the road? I have a feeling that when the twins come back, their chief will be giving us a lot of supplies when we leave."

Sypha didn't doubt that, but she smiled when Trevor has just as eager to move out as she was. "Really?" She asked, excitedly.

"Yeah."

"Because we're having fun, right?"

"I admit it, I do." Trevor said as he wrapped an arm around Sypha's shoulder. "You and me, we're doing good things and it's been pretty far from boring...but also...Lindenfeld is starting to give me the creeps." He says as he and Sypha looked over and saw two of Sala's monks standing between the trees just far enough across from them.

"Do you think they really worship Dracula?" Sypha wondered. Ever since yesterday, they've had a nagging suspicion that some of the townsfolk worship Dracula

"They do."

The Hunter and Speaker quickly turned around and saw Judge walking towards them with a serious look on his face. "Would you both please accompany me?" He asks. Not liking his tone and since he confirms their suspicions, they went on the defensive. Just in case. But Judge raised his hand, showing no intention of creating a conflict. "For tea?" He added. They made them dropped their defence and looked at him.

"Uh... I like tea." Sypha said.

"I...don't." Trevor said.

Judge nods and leads them back to his house. He motions for them to enter his office and when doing so they were greeted by another person in the room. He was an extremely muscular individual. This man had the feel of a hardened ex-warrior with a gentlemen's poise. He had a wild mane, stark white long hair with hardened golden-orange eyes and tanned skin. He had gold earrings, a gold necklace, with strange tattoos on both his shoulders, black gloves with red-orange cloths wrapped around his wrists and light coloured pants held up by a belt and was barefoot.

Trevor and Sypha both took a step back as this man's hardened eyes seem to pierce into their souls. Judge walked in holding a tray of tea when he took notice. "Ah, yes. This here is Vano. Leader and chief of a...special clan that's residing here in Lindenfeld for the time being. Don't mind him, he's a man of character." Judge says as he walks over to sit his chair, laying out the tea for each of them.

Vano gave them a wordless greeting and reached for his drink. "Uh...r-right." Trevor says, albeit a bit nervously as he and Sypha sat down. Trevor didn't know why he felt anxious towards this man, but something was warning him to never get on his bad side. "Alright. Who exactly are you?" The Judge asked the two.

"I am Sypha Belnades, a magician of the Speakers." Sypha said. "This is Trevor Belmont, of House Belmont, fighter of demons."

Judge looked over at Trevor and said, "You could have told me that yesterday." The hunter gave stern look as he placed his tea on the table. "Your local monks made me think that perhaps our names shouldn't be said out loud." Trevor said. "Since they love Dracula, and, well, we..."

"We killed him." Sypha said.

"If the words you speak are woven in truth, then you were wise not to have vocalised your titles for the wind to carry." Vano suddenly said as he took a sip of his tea. Trevor and Sypha almost jumped at the sound of his voice. It was strong and commanding like thunder, yet...it held a small twinge of kindness. Judge took his cup and let out a small scoff. "Really? How interesting." He said. Clearly, not believing them. Sypha smirked and waved her hand. A small fireball hovered over her fingers. "Really."

Judge stared in shock at her magic and was quickly convinced that she was telling the truth. "Oh... Oh! You're a Speaker magician, and you're really the last Belmont?" Judge asked.

"In the flesh." Trevor said. "What do you want?"

"He is correct. What purpose do you have to collect us?" Vano asked him.

"Well, now I want to know how you're even alive." Judge says as he looks at Trevor. He then sat straight and folded his hands, getting back to his serious demeanour. "But what I need to know is what's going on in the priory. I run the town but my power stops at the priory's door."

"The place is apparently full of lunatics. What do you need to know?" Trevor asks him as he crosses his arms. The Judge picked up his cup and took a sip of his tea before speaking up. "Lindenfeld was hit by a pack of night creatures." He said.

It happened on a bad rainstorm. Thunder and lightning rang through the clouds as four night creatures came to their town. The people screamed as they tried to run, tried to hide and tried to get away from the night creatures. Their attack was merciless and slaughtered anyone they could find. Sinking their fangs into the skin and ripping their flesh right off their bones. The four of them alone would've decimated the entire town but luckily, the town's men-at-arms were ready, with the judge taking charge of their defensive.

"But I pride myself on a carefully organised town." The Judge said.

The pack of night creatures were left surprised when he and his men had appeared to stand up to them. Armed axes, bows and arrows, swords and long spears. They weren't afraid of them and they were confident in dispatching them back to Hell.

"My men-at-arms wiped their weapons in salt and shit." Judge said.

"Salt on the blades. Very good." Trevor complimented. "Shit to make the wounds sick. That's old army tactics."

The night creature weren't expecting anything like this and backed up when the men began advancing towards them with the weapons pointed at them.  

"Lindenfeld has always protected itself. There are reasons why this is more than a wide spot in the road, Belmont." Judge says.

As one of the night creatures growls at the men, one soldier rushed up and thrust his sword through its head. One creature shrieked as it raised its clawed hand to slice up the men but one was quick and used his spear to stab it through its hand. It screamed in pain as the men pinned down its hands as another soldier rushed in and slit the creature's throat. As the three night creatures began to fall,  the pack leader roared and jumped over the Judge as it began to make its escape.

Judge's archers released their arrows and tried to strike the beast, however, they missed and the night creature rushed to get away with The Judge and his men following close behind. They refused to let it leave this town alive. Eventually, the night creature found itself in front with the local priory. As the men grew closer towards it, the night creature jumped high into the air before crashing through the roof of the priory. The people inside let out horrified screams as the creature barged in.

The Judge and the men-at-arms approached the priory, ready to march in and defeat the beast when Judge halted them. Something was wrong. Instead of hearing blood, screams, and guts, they were met with a deadly silence. It was unnerving. Why? Why was it so quiet?

"And then... it was quiet for so long. I couldn't imagine even a single monster could've everyone inside so quickly. It wasn't killing them."

The Judge and his men thought they heard something. So they strained their ears to listen, and they heard growling, snarls...and slight sounds that indicated that... What? No, this couldn't be right... It wasn't... The Judge's eyes widened as he became fully aware of what was happening. 

"It was talking to them."

Soon a blinding green light was emanating from the church along with an ominous mist spilling into the open as the demon continued to speaking an alien language. The Judge took hesitant steps towards the priory, but then the green light was growing more intense by each passing second, the town began to rumble as lightning bolts rained down from the skies. Hitting the ground around it, nearly striking The Judge and his men as they power within the priory continued to grow. Until a huge wave of power overtook them.

"And the rain stopped." Judge says. "A while later, the monks came out with blackened pieces of the creature. I couldn't tell you if the pieces added up the entire beast. They couldn't stop crying. Not one of them. They just looked...um, broken. None of them could speak a word. Just dropped the remains on the street and went back inside. The next day, it began. The people of the town wanted to give thanks for God's mercy and Sala wouldn't allow them into the priory's hall. A few days later, the first stranger arrived, looking for the priory. A priest, covered in blood. Couldn't stop shaking, pissed himself in the market square. Dagger in his hand. The monks took him in. It's been happening every few days ever since."

The Judge then looked up at the three and gave them a serious look. "I need to know what happened. I need to know why the priory of my town is attracting damaged, frightening people. I have a community to look after here, I need what's going to happen." As he spoke Vano looked at this desk as his eye caught a single key laying beside Judge. The man looked over and placed his hand on it. "When you arrived last night, I took you for adventures who might take a chance for a fair payment." Sypha and Trevor looked at each other with a smile, and Sypha excitedly elbowed Trevor's arm.

"Adventures~." She said in a sing-song voice as Trevor playfully rolled his eyes. Through the entire talk, Vano had been stone quiet and carefully listen to the judge's words. "Vano and his clan came to this town to live quietly for a while, but when I witnessed them slaying night creatures with their magic, I remembered tales of young gipsies defending the town of Gresit from invasion. You are a Speaker and you are a Belmont. You, as well as Vano and his people, are heroes to this country and its people. I believe you will help me because these are dangerous times and it's the right thing to do. And because... I think this is what you like."

"We're not heroes, Judge." Trevor said. "Well, I'm not. She is. But she's insane, as you may have noticed. ....I... don't want to make assumptions with him though."

"I have. That's why I said I think you like this." The Judge said. "Also I don't normally flatter people because it's so much easier to have them flogged to the square until they do as well as I damn well tell them. But...the monks are armed. Their forces now match, all of the town and their capabilities are known to the priory. You have the advantage of anonymity."

Trevor took in what he said with his usual bored, uninterested expression when Sypha leaned over to him with a cheeky grin on her face. He turned his eyes away as he said, "I'm not looking at you Sypha."

"You're going to." She said, knowingly.

"Nope." He says as he crossed his arms in defiance. Sypha chuckled as she playfully punched his arm. "You like looking at me." She said.

"I'm not going to." Trevor said.

"Because if you do," Sypha began to say as she poked his cheek. A few cold sweats broke out as he tried to remain in control. "You'll crack like an egg." Trevor looked over at Sypha as a smile. broke on his face. ...Weak. "Yes." He squeaked out.  Vano finished his tea and set it down. He rose to his feet and freaked out Trevor and Sypha as he revealed himself to be a literal giant. He looked much shorter sitting down.

"I offer you my humble thanks for the tea, Lord Judge. I'll accept your task and we will inquire out the answers you seek. But in terms of payment, you already comprehend what I desire most." Vano told him.

"Vano, I give you my word that I will send out search parties in every corner out of Lindenfeld and I will find her." The Judge told him.

Vano narrowed his eyes a little and walked out of the office. "I sincerely hope you keep your promise." He said as he shut the door behind him a little too roughly. Shaking the entire room, knocking several books off the table and shelf. The Judge let out a sigh. "Please forgive him, he doesn't mean any harm. The man is built like an ox but holds a rather fragile heart. I'm certain you've heard this before when I saw you walking with those children, but half of Vano's clan were attacked and killed five years ago. Though he and the remaining survivors managed to escape, he's been searching nonstop."

"Searching? For who?" Sypha asked.

"His daughter. Vano and his wife had used a spell to send her away to safety, and he was been searching for her ever since. I promised him that if he helped him with what's going on with the priory, then I would use my power to find his child." The Judge told them. Sypha and Trevor looked at each other before agreeing to find out the problems residing in this town. As they left the Judge's house, Trevor let out an exhausted sigh.  "Well, at least he offered to pay our rent while we're here."

"Haha! Investigators!" Sypha laughed as she pulled Trevor along and look for Vano to discuss what their first move shall be.

Chapter 25: They Are Not My Family

Chapter Text

Out on the open seas, Captain's crew did their daily chores around the ship in content silence, but the silence was mostly due to....intense...err, awkwardness because of their new passengers. Such passengers as one shipmate looked over to the small army of demons that stood still and mostly unresponsive on deck. Meanwhile, Isaac and the Captain are in his chambers having an intriguing discussion.

"I have brandy. You know brandy? Fire and wine. Do you partake of alcohol?" Captain asked Isaac as he began pouring a drink.

"I do not." Isaac said.

" Ah, thought so. Muslim?" Captain asked.

"Sufi." Isaac said.

"The spinning-around kind, or the self-flagellating kind?" Captain asked as he held a knife and lime in his hands.

"The latter. Or, I was." Isac said.

"Well, I imagined it hurts. You can't be blamed for stopping." Captain said with a smile.

"It's not pain, as you understand it. I've been hit by people, it's not the same thing at all. It brings clarity. It stills the body and frees the mind to focus." Isaac tells him.

"So why did you stop?" Captain asked as he handed Isaac a cup.

"I don't know. I'm too angry. I cannot find myself. I cannot pray. I cannot see God." Isaac tells him as he takes a sip of his drink. A small smile appeared on his face as the flavour of the drink began to set in. It was surprisingly tasty. "Tell me the story, Isaac." Captain said as he took his seat. "The night is long and sailors like stories."

"I was a member of Dracula's court." Isaac began. The Captain looked at him with a surprised expression but he did not say anything poor by it. It just made him more interest and curious about Isaac and his tale. "Dracula?" The Captain asked as he slurped his drink. "Oh, this should be good. Dracula, the Vampire King. Dracula, who wants to kill everyone in Wallachia?"

"Everyone in the world. All the humans." Isaac said.

"Including you." The Captain said.

"I assumed that eventually, this would include me, yes." Isaac told him.

"So working for Dracula was like suicide, the long way round?" The Captained mused.

"Perhaps. I find the human race worthless, and I suspect a fresh start would be good for the world." Isaac said.

"Present could be excepted of course." Captain said as he and Isaac shared a good laugh. Captain leaned back in his chair and said, "So. You were planning on killing everyone in the world. I knew you wouldn't be boring. I cannot, however, fail to know that I am still here. And you're not in Wallachia. What happened."

Isaac hung his head and let out a sigh. Taking a big sip of his drink. Though a month has passed, those memories were still fresh in his mind. "His castle was attacked. Dracula threw me to the desert through a magic mirror. To save my life." He said.

"That don't sound like someone who wants to kill all the people of the earth." Captain pointed out.

"He was confused. He was grieving. There were other Vampires conspiring against him. And they were aided by the other human in the court." Isaac said, with a hint of venom in his tone. The thought of Hector makes him sick. He had great respect for him...but now? Well, all he wants right now is to watch him die. The Captain listen to Isaac's tale and paid attention to every word.

"He was certainly confused and also betrayed. You just can't eat the stuff anymore. Believe me, I know. You should talk to some of the freaks I have my crew." He told him. "And now you're sailing back to Europe to find Dracula?" His question meant no harm. He was simply curious. But it still hurt Isaac from within. He wished he could say 'yes, I am', but he knew that he'd be lying to himself. "I believe he is dead. I have other reasons to return." Isaac said as he pushes the box, containing the distance mirror, to show The Captain.

"I was given this by a man in Tunis." He opened the lid and clapped his hands. The glass shards floated out of the box and pieced themselves together for the Captain to behold. And what a sight to behold it was. The Captain could barely believe what he was seeing before Isaac clapped his hands again and the mirror went back to being shards and falling back inside. "It showed me. That the other human in the court is being kept prisoner by one the Vampires who schemed against Dracula."

"That's a nice gift, though." The Captain said.

"The man who gave it to me said it was in exchange for saving him from Hell when he died." Isaac said as he rose his cup to drink, but stopped as he then said, "After which the men-at-arms of Tunis attempted to drive us out because they were full of hatred and fear. Like all people."

"Did he laugh when he said it?" The Captain asked him. Isaac thought about for a second and looking back on it, he did notice something. "He did, actually." He said.

"Then it was a gift."  The Captain said as he gave Isaac a wink. "I mean, can you save people from Hell?"

"I'm a Forgemaster. I can take demons from Hell and install them in the dead bodies of Earth." Isaac says, revealing his skills as a Forgemaster and other abilities. "That's quite a trick." The Captain said as Isaac took out his ceremonial dagger. "It is a skill, learned over many years. Vampires cannot do it. It requires a human connection." Isaac said.

"Why? Vampires can learn magic." The Captain said. His eyes went back to the dagger as it was covered in a hellish red flame. "Not this magic." Isaac tells him. "Hell is populated by humans who went against the will of God. But the prophet Mahommed, peace be upon him, says that one day Hell would be emptied and its doors would rattle in the wind. Through my hand, God lifts the damned from Hell in his mercy to enact their penance on the earth as my soldiers."

The Captain was awestruck by Isaac and his story. He couldn't take his eyes off him and was engrossed in his tale. He leaned back against his seat as he looked at him. "That's..." He took a large sip of his drink. "I thought I heard every story but that's new to me. And you learned how to do this."

"I did." Isaac said as the flames went out and he puts his dagger away.

"And other things, I'll mark."

"I have some other skills."

"And now you sail to Europe, to exact revenge on the people who betrayed your Dracula?" The Captain asked him.

"I do."

"Where will you go?" The Captain asked as he got up from his seat, pouring himself another drink.

"Styria, home to Carmilla, who rules over that region." Isaac tells him.

"And then what?"

"What?" Isaac asked in confusion. Odd, he thought that he explained his story very well. Shouldn't it be simple to understand? After he kills Hector, he plans to take up Dracula's cause and kill all the people in the world. The Captains turns back to him and asked, "Well after you've had your blood what will you do then? Take up your Dracula's cause and kill all the people in the world."

"I might." Isaac tells him, though he did turn his gaze away.

"Hm. Have you ever heard this maxim?" Upon hearing Isaac's plan, the Captain disperses a little bit of wisdom to the Sufi. "'If you don't have your own story, you become part of someone else's'."

"I have not." Isaac said.

"That's because I invented it. You're welcome." The Captain said with a chuckle. Isaac gave him a serious look. "You saw that I have a knife, right?" He questioned. The Captain kept on his smile and sat down. He raised his hand and said, "Hear me out. Why live out a dead Vampire's story when you have your own story to tell?"

"Dracula's 'story', as you put it, is right and good. The human race is poisonous and corrupt and should be wiped off the world." Isaac said, still steadfast and loyal to his former master's desire to eliminate all humans. Still, The Captain kept on smiling. "And yet yesterday, a man gave you a gift and made a joke. But all you really remember is the port authority trying to run you and your beasties out of town."

"Do you deny our species is cruel, Captain?" Isaac asked as he leaned in. The Captain took a sip of his drink and looked Isaac in the eyes. "No." He responded. Surprising Isaac. "I've been cruel. It's a cruel world. Maybe we do all deserve to die. But maybe, we could be better too. If you kill us all, you end human cruelty, yes. But you end human kindness, too." The Captain pointed out. This caused Isaac to look back at the mirror that blind man had given him. A gift. It was a small gesture...but it was still nice.

"No more jokes. No more gifts. No more surprises. Why would a man with all your fantastic knowledge not use it to teach people how to be kind?" The Captain asked Isaac. Now this, caught the Sufi by surprised. "What?" Him? A former slave, a former general of Dracula's court...use his skills to teach kindness? Is that even possible for him to do? "Revenge is good. Bastards need punishing. But after you win, and you control your region, you become a ruler of a place, Isaac."

"I do not." Isaac strongly told him.

"You do. By right of conquest. You could lead, Isaac. Just like you lead your beasties up there." The Captain tells him. "What could your rule be like if you just taught people?" Isaac looked down at his cup and gazed at his reflection. There was a certain power in the Captain's words. But he was left uncertain. By eliminating humanity, he might also destroy what makes it beautiful. Can Isaac...really could use his skills to teach people how to be kind? Is he truly that capable of accomplishing that. He looked back up at the Captain and said, "I would like more water."

The Captain smiled at Isaac and picked up the pitcher. "Then you shall have it, Isaac the Forgemaster. My gift given freely." He says as he pours more water into Isaac's cup. To teach kindness. To protect what makes humanity beautiful. Isaac wasn't sure if he was up to the task. Or even if...he should be the one. Still, the Captain's words and his gift did bring a smile to Isaac's face.

*At Carmilla's castle*

"Alright. Do you remember what to do?" Lenore asked as she tidied up Lilith. The younglings took in a deep breath and spread a happy smile. "Yes! I'm ready!" She said, gleefully as she took a basket filled with food. Lenore looked at their sweet little sister and gently gripped her shoulders. "This isn't going to be like the others, we need this one alive. And...you do tend to play with your toys roughly...maybe I should go with you."

Lilith puffed her cheeks at her and put the basket down. "Please, Lenore? I know what to do and I know we need that human alive for Carmilla's plan. I promise this isn't going to be like the others. Trust me." She told her as she looked at her big sister, using her big eyes to her advantage. Lenore jokingly rolled her eyes and smiled at her. "Fine. I hate it when you use those puppy eyes of yours."

"Yay! Thank you, Lenore." Lilith cheered as she hugged her. Lenore smiled and laughed at the youngling as she hugged her back. "Alright, go on now." She told her.

"Right. I will not let you down." Lilith told her as she grabbed the basket and raced down to visit Hector. Lenore smiled and shook her head with amusement. "Oh, that Lilith. She's truly a gift. She'll make a fine Vampiress someday." She said to herself.

Lilith makes her way down to the dungeon and spotted the Vampire guard standing by. When. he saw her, he quickly stood up in attention. She first made her way to Silvanus's cell and knelt to get a better look at the child. He was asleep but was still trembling. She then turned to the guard and with little effort, ordered for him to leave. With him gone, Lilith looked back at Hector's cell and played her game.

"Hector?! Hector!"

The Forgemaster quickly lifted his head and his heart soared when he saw Leonora kneeling right behind the bars, looking at him with relief and sorrow. "My love...How could this happen to you?" Leonora questioned as tears formed in her eyes. Hector looked at her in shock and shook his head. He quickly made his way over and held her hands. "Leonora...? But it can't be. You were..." He couldn't believe it. She was here...! Back with him. If these iron bars weren't here, he could kiss her until she was left breathless.

"I managed to escape Hector, I couldn't spend another moment longer without knowing about your well-being." Leonora told him. Hector smiled at her and cupped her cheek. He never felt so relieved to see the love of his life again. He hadn't realised just how scared he'd be about her until now. He didn't know how Leonora managed to escape but right now he didn't care. Leonora leaned into his touch and sighed in content. "Where is my child?" She asked.

"He is here. Alive and well for the most part." Hector said.

"My dearest, I know you must be hungry. Here, I stole some food. Have some blackberries." Leonora told him as she reached into the basket and offered the blackberries. Hector smiled lovingly at her and reached out for them. But then suddenly, Hector grabs Leonora's wrist and yanks her to the cell's bars. Slamming her head against them and he turned her around and pressed his fingers against her throat.

"I know I can't kill you, but you call the guard and tell him to unlock this fucking door or I will rip your fucking throat out and break your fucking neck and we'll just see how fucking well you live." He darkly threaten her. Even if she doesn't comply, he wouldn't hesitate for a second to rip put her throat for this little stunt she just pulled.

"Hey! Easy! Easy! Hector, it's me! Lilith!" The young Vampiress quickly said as she brought down her Leonora disguised and turned back to her original form. Hector narrowed his eyes and tightly gripped her neck. "You've got five seconds to explain to me what you've done to my Leonora before I decide to tear out your tongue." He said.

"Nothing! Look, she's still alive, I swear. Carmilla put me in charge of her and I can tell you in confidence that she's okay." Lilith quickly told him as she gripped his hand. Hector glared at her before he let her go and roughly shoved her away. The youngling gasped and held her neck as she looked at Hector in shock.

"Christ in Heaven. If you were that threatening from a disguised, I kind of hate to see what you'll be like if something does happen to her." Lilith said. "How...did you know that it was fake?"

"You were nearly perfect but you've got a few things wrong." Hector told her with a held back snarl. "Leonora's skin was a tad bit darker. Her green eyes had a golden tint in them and her hair is black as a raven not murky, mud brown."

"You could've said that a little less insulting." Lilith said as she touched her hair. She let out a sigh and said, "Alright, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry I disguised myself as Leonora, but I had to. Carmilla will be waiting to hear my report. I wasn't expecting any this... I need to rethink my plan."

"You sure that wasn't you? Wanting to play with your food?" Hector questioned her.

Lilith let out a scoff. "That bitch Carmilla certainly does like to play with her food. While the hulking lump of waste Striga kills her food. The pompous blowhard Morana tortures hers for information on where the rest of the food is. And I don't even know what Lenore does...but I couldn't care less."

"Who are they?" Hector asks as he sat down.

"The ruling council. Carmilla is the queen of Styria but they rule as a quartet. Morana is the organiser, Striga's the warrior, and Lenore's the diplomat." Lilith told him.

"Hmm. And you?"

"You know...I'm their," Lilith changed her expression to that of a happy-go-lucky child and said in a bubbly voice, "Sweet baby sister Lilith who loves to play games with our human pets!" Then her face fell and spoke in a more mature tone. "Ugh, just even saying it makes me want to rip out my own heart."

She looked back at Hector and knelt. "Okay... We didn't have a proper introduction and that was my fault." Lilith held her hand out to him. "I'm Lilith. It's...nice to meet you, Hector." The Forgemaster glared at her hand. Not returning the greeting, but she couldn't blame him. Lilith turned her gaze away in guilt and took out her hand.

"If those three do all that, then what does Carmilla contribute?" Hector asked.

"You've met Carmilla. She's the 'spark', so to speak." Lilith said. "The others see the present, she draws down the future. They're the body, and she's the dream."

Hector scoffed at that. "She's the nightmare."

"Oh. You have no idea...well, no, you do...but y-you know...." Lilith said. She looked over at basket and pulled it over. "Here, you've got to eat something. It's fresh...and it's not filled with maggots."

"No. I like my rotten meat with maggots." Hector said bitterly. "It's soft with extra goodness in it."

"Very funny. I'm being serious, you need edible food. You can't deny it forever." Lilith told him as she places the basket inside the cell. "Please...eat something."

Hector looked over at the basket and then at her. "I'll eat...after you give it to my son." Lilith nodded and quickly went straight to the little boy's cell. She was planning to go to him anyway. Silvanus had woken up due to the noise and was fearful when he saw Lilith. The light green-eyed vampire knelt and raised her hand. "Shh, shh! It's okay, I'm not here to hurt you. I'm a friend." She said as she reached into her basket and laid down a warm blanket, warm clothes and fresh food for him.

Silvanus looked at the items and her in confusion. Wondering why she was doing this. "It's okay...your papa wants you to eat. He's hungry too, but he wouldn't eat unless you do." She told him. Silvanus's eyes widened and crawled over to her. "Papa...?"

"Yes! Papa!" Lilith nodded. "He wants you to eat. Could you do that for him?" Silvanus looked uncertain but as he looked up at her, he didn't sense anything bad from her. Not like with Carmilla and her sisters. Silvanus took pieces of blackberries and began to eat. Just the taste of fresh fruit filled him with delight and began to help himself. Lilith smiled at the toddler and giggled. "There's a good boy. Eat slowly, you'll choke if you eat that fast."

Silvanus nodded his head and when he began to eat more slowly, Lilith smiled and went back to Hector. "He's eating and the best part is, he still has a healthy appetite." She told him. Hector listen closely and sighed in relief when he heard Silvanus eating. That's when his empty stomach began to growl loudly. So when Lilith offered him food, he was quick to take it.

Lilith almost fell back in relief seeing how they were finally able to eat fresh food now. She was worried she was going to be wracked up with grief if they didn't. "What's your name again?" Hector asked as he bit off a piece of bread. "Lilith." She answered with a surprisingly gentle smile.

"Thank you...Lilith." Hector said.

"It was no problem at all. Oh! Hold on, I think I have some roasted chicken in here too." Lilith said as she digs into the basket. "But...no maggots. I guess I could call the guard and asked him to get him some sprinkles." Hector knew she was joking and couldn't help but laugh at that. "That's quite the picnic you have in there. I never think of Vampires as eating food."

Lilith chuckled at that. "Oh, we eat. It's the blood that gives us our essential nourishment, of course. I think you've seen a lot of that having lived in Dracula's court. I don't know about the others...but...I like to enjoy all the good things in life. I may be a Vampire...but...I still want to live life as a human." She said in a saddened tone as she hands him a piece of chicken

"...Is...that why you promised to help me and my family escape from here?" Hector asked her as he takes the chicken.

"Of course. I love humans...not in the eating them and draining them dry sort of way. I genuinely love humans." Lilith told him honestly.

"Then why are you helping us escape? Why are you so willing to betray your sisters?" Hector asked. He almost jumped back when he saw her eyes glow blood red in anger.

"Carmilla. Striga. Morana. Lenore. They may be my "sisters" and I may act like their "darling little Lilith"....but those things? They are not my family. I despise them." Lilith told him. "My real family was stolen from me a long time ago and I've been trying to think of a plan to kill them. Hector, I give you my word that I will help you and your family escape, I promise you. However, because you're a Forgemaster my original plan won't work. So how about you and I work together? From there, we can get our revenge against Carmilla."

Chapter 26: The Promise of Freedom and Unlikely Bond

Chapter Text

*Dracula's Castle*

Night had fallen and all was silent with only the sounds of crickets and owls echoing through the night. Taka and Sumi had already been given rooms to sleep in, after being given a small tour of the castle, and were invited to have dinner with Alucard and Miri. The two arrived at the dining area, seeing the food already prepared and left for them but didn't see their new teachers anywhere. They decided to wait for them and their attention was captured by Miri's puppets, which were based on her friends, Trevor and Sypha. They were both confused and a little....concerned. They had heard stories that gipsies like making voodoo dolls.

Soon, Alucard and Miri had arrived carrying a fresh wine bottle and glasses for each of them. Miri was about to call out to them when she realised they were looking at her puppets. She blushed in embarrassment while Alucard chuckled. "Don't look at those. Miri's ashamed of them." He said. Laughing when Miri playfully smacked his arm. "I am not! Hush!" The two f them walked over to the table as Alucard opened the bottle.

"Madam Sumi? Sir Taka? Would the two of you like to some refreshments with your meal?" Miri kindly asked them. The Hunters from Japan smiled at the young girl and nodded their heads, making their way towards the table as Alucard poured each of them a drink.

"How long have the two of you been here on your own?" Taka asked as he and Sumi took their seats. Alucard and Miri smiled at each other as the held the others hand. "Oh, years. Or possibly a couple of months." Alucard said, unaware of how much time has passed since the two last saw their friends. "We've been making the most of it every day and restoring the castle to its original grace we just...allowed time to escape us." Miri tells him.

"So, you've seen the palace condition of our new home." Alucard stated as he took a sip of his wine.

"It wasn't what we expected." Sumi says with a small hint of disappointment in her voice.

"Well...there was a small battle." Alucard says.

"It must've been a legendary battle." Taka said with wonder as he leaned in to hear more of this legendary battle that brought down Dracula and his whole court. However, it wasn't as legendary as it was...heartbreaking. "Mostly just desperate and sad." Alucard somberly says as he stares into his wine. Miri gave his hand a loving squeeze as she knew that he must be thinking of his father. While Alucard has learned to move on and see the future, he'll always carry the memories of Dracula within him. "Shall we speak about something else, please?" She asked.

"What exactly happened to the mechanism that moves the castle?" Sumi asked.

"She melted it." Alucard said, motioning towards the Sypha puppet. Taka and Sumi looked over at the puppets in confusion while Miri gave a small giggle. "She did...sort of...dissolved the device, though Sypha wouldn't very much admit that aloud if she were here." She said. Miri then cleared her throat to get their attention away from the puppets. "Moving along."

"Yes, you said you were a part of the court of this Vampire you call Chō?" Alucard questioned.

"Yes. In northern Japan. Far from anywhere." Sumi says. Beginning her tale of her and Taka's lives at Chō's secret fortress in Northern Japan.

"We all lived in her secret fortress. Trapped in her fortress."

The fortress resided on a mountain where tree and mist cloaked its whereabouts. Although the fortress was a beauty to behold, inside was dark, evil, and filled endlessly with screams and blood. Chō stood at the top of her throne as a samurai warrior, a Vampire hunter sat at the other side of the room.

"We were given to Chō's hidden court as children. It amused her to have a human honour guard. Not that she needed guarding." Taka says. "Sometimes, it was her pleasure to have us allow a hunter to pass through her ranks and into the court."

Chō floated out from her seat and confront the hunter with a small smile on her face. The hunter rose to his feet and drew his sword. He steadied himself before he charged at her.

"This was how it was. Everyday. Some new horror. Some new punishment. Some new boastful exercise of her complete power over us." Sumi said.

The hunter fought with all his might and swung his sword with great technique to strike Chō, but she kept on blocking each of his attacks. She was barely taking the hunter seriously. This was all just a game to her. A fun little game where she always wins. The hunter moved and swung his sword, but Chō moved quicker and used her claws to cut the hunter and knock his helmet off of his head. Sending it rolling to one of the doors. Then, just to make the game more interesting, the doors opened wide. Revealing to the hunter the many enslaved people within the fortress's walls with some of Chō's guards looming over them. Each of them appeared to be dead inside. Devoid of any hope.

"Every day was slavery. Every day was death. And we had to watch it all." Sumi says.

The hunter rushed at Chō, trying to strike her, cut her down. Anything to land a hit. But she was too strong, too agile and too powerful for him to do anything. She moved and performed as elegant as a dancer as she sliced into the hunter's body with her sharp, talon-like claws. To prove she was stronger, she did not once open her eyes.

"Chō was ancient and arrogant. She had lived forever where no army could reach her. No superior power end her. We just watched. And learned." Taka said.

Whether it be his pride as a hunter or samurai or as a man, he refused to die at the hands of the monstrous creature before him. Especially when there were people that desperately needed to be saved. The hunter continued to fight Chō despite knowing that she was more powerful than him. Chō slashed into his body as the hunter couldn't land a single scratch, all the while Taka and Sumi paid close attention to Chō's movements. Her fighting style and the way she held herself. Their gaze didn't falter once as the fight progressed.

"We spent years studying how she lived...studying how she fought. We learned from her every victory. Memorised her every weakness." Sumi said. "Our lives became nothing but the development of plans to end her.

At this point, the Vampire Hunter was beaten, bloodied and broken. His body ached, his back was stinging in pain. His right arm had been ripped from the inside and his sword was shattered to pieces. He couldn't win. There wasn't anything else he could do to end her. He had failed these people. But...at the very least....he could die like a man. The hunter unsheathed another blade, but he had planned to drive it into himself. To ensure he at least die as a human. But even something as that was out of his control. Chō had quickly moved behind him and grabbed his wrist. Preventing him from taking his own life and knocking the blade from his hand. The man could do nothing as Chō kneeled and sang her fangs into his neck.

"We read her books and listen to her legend and wished only for the chance to free our people from her teeth. And then she left. Summoned to Dracula's war court." Taka said.

Even though countless vampire hunters had come to take Chō's head, none of them was a match against the ruthless vampire. Not only that, but her human slaves had to watch how each hunter fell to their knees in defeat. However, little did Chō know that Taka and Sumi were watching her, studying how she lived, studying how she fought, learning from her every victory, memorizing her every weakness. Their lives became nothing but the development of plans to end their master. And the moment that she left the fortress....they fought back.

Working together, Taka and Sumi had killed every last one of Chō's guards as quickly and as efficient as any hunter. And when they found the rest of their people, for the first time in what felt like an eternity, they found hope again. Without wasting another second, Taka and Sumi freed their people and lead the escaped out of the compound. While it was a grand victory on their part, they both knew it was a fleeting moment.

"But Chō was always going to come back. So we left to hunt her." Sumi said. She and Taka held each other's hand as they recalled the promise they made before leaving Japan.

"Because if she returns to the court, it will be it all over again. If she's truly dead, then other Vampires will eventually take her court over. And our freedom will mean nothing." Taka says.

"We need a friend, Alucard. Miri." Sumi tells them. They may be skilled in their own right, they still needed Alucard to help them fight the creatures of the night.

"Adrian? What do you think?" Miri asked him. Miri was already on board with helping Sumi and Taka in whatever they need to fight against Vampires as well as the night hoards, but she wanted her beloved to have a say in things. Alucard finished his wine and looked over at the young hunters.

"You need instruction. Perhaps one or two new weapons. Maybe learn a little magic?" Alucard asks with a sly smile as he leaned against the table. Making Miri looked at him in surprise.

"Magic? Really?" Taka asked with a hopeful smile on his face.

"Magic. What do we think?" Alucard asked with a raised brow.

Afterwards, once dinner was over, the four bid the other goodnight and headed off to bed. Seeing that tomorrow was the start of their new training, they needed as much sleep as they can get. However, Miri's mind was too active for her to sleep and so she just sat by the window, staring off into nothing. She cupped her hands together and a beautiful snowflake was formed. Hovering over her hands. Miri let out a sad sigh then surprised gasp when she felt a pair of strong arms wrapped themselves around her. Alucard rested his cheek on top of her head and held her close.

"What's the matter, my darling? You look upset." Alucard said. Miri placed the snowflake down and held his arms. She snuggled up against him and shook her head. "It's not that...I'm just a little worried." She told him.

"Worried? About what?" He asked.

"I wish to do whatever I can to make Madam Sumi and Sir Taka even better hunters...but then, you mention magic." Miri said.

"Yes. Is that not a good idea?" Alucard asked, wanting to understand her feelings. "I believe that educating them in magic is a wonderful addition to their training...but...I'm not very certain now. Magic comes from within oneself, a skill that a person is born with. Vampires are a bit of an exception, but normal humans? I'm not sure if it's possible to teach them magic." She said.

Alucard nodded, now understanding her concerns. He'll admit, when he thought about it, he did consider the possibility that teaching ordinary humans magic may be difficult, but they'll cross that bridge when they get there. "I understand. But we don't have to teach them any magic right away. Let's focus on them learning what is possible and we can worry about magic later on. Don't worry yourself over it, and don't start feeling guilty now." Alucard said as he began to poke at her cheeks. Miri giggled and swatted his hand away.

Alucard then scooped up Miri in his arms and lead her to bed. Laying her down and tucking her in, joining her soon after. He gathered her in his arms once more as she snuggled against him. The two of them decided to share a room a few days after they confessed their love once it was established that Miri could no longer sleep all by herself. Since the first night, unsurprisingly, they discovered they couldn't sleep without the other. "You're right. I shouldn't get so overly concerned about it too soon. When the time comes, I'm certain we can work around it." Miri said.

"Exactly. And we'll get through it, together." Alucard said with a smile. "Now rest, my love. We have a lot of work to do tomorrow." Miri nodded and shut her eyes. Alucard stayed up for a while longer, watching over his snowdrop as she slept peacefully. He gently ran his fingers down her cheek as he gives his nightly thanks for having her in his life. Thankful for the love they shared. Thankful that he had her to protect and care for. Alucard was deeply in love with Miri, so much so that he couldn't imagine a life without her. If he were to lose her... ...... He didn't even want to think about that.

Eventually, Alucard allowed sleep to take over and held Miri protectively in his arms. A few minutes later, Miri opened her eyes. She gazed at Alucard's sleeping face before she carefully rose and planted a sweet kiss on his temple, a small portion of her magic flowed from her lips and washed through Alucard's body. Miri pulled away and gently got out of his hold. "Adrian? Adrian, are you asleep?" She softly asked. Alucard didn't respond. "Aah! What's this sharp pain in my body?!"

Still no response.

Miri let out a sigh of relief and climbed out of bed. She placed the sheets over Alucard's sleeping form, softly stroking his hair and whispering, "I'll be back soon, my eternal love. I won't be gone for too long." Miri placed a final kiss on his temple before tiptoeing out of their bedroom and headed straight towards the library. This time, she was going to find some answers.

*Carmilla's castle*

Up on the high towers of the castle, Striga and Morana sit together. Overseeing the vast snow-covered lands of Styria. Morana let out a sigh as she turned to the masculine-looking Vampiress. "So...what do we think?" She asked.

"It's always the same." Striga says as the two lovers held hands. "Carmilla always has a scheme."

"She's a dreamer, Striga." Morana pointed out to her.

"No, it's never 'gather 'round girls I have a dream to tell you about to tell you about'. It's arms waving in the air and 'Vampire and sisters, I have scheme!' Our Lilith is the sweet dreamer, not Carmilla." Striga says, making Morana give a wholehearted laugh. Striga smiled down at her and gave a small shrug. "Tell me I'm wrong."

They laced their fingers together and Morana laid her head against her shoulder. "No, you're not wrong." She says. "But she did get us here. It's because of Carmilla that we got to fall in love in a fairy tale castle."

"Oh, God, Morana. You sound like Lenore and Lilith when she's gone into those silly, yet humourous daydreams. Is it romantic if I'm sick on your hair?" Striga asked. Morana let out a chuckle and she plastered her palm on Striga's face. "Shut up. It's been amazing and you know it." She says.

"Yes. I admit it, alright. But I also remember how hard it was to get here." Striga says as she turned to the gorgeous blue flowers growing around the pillars. She plucked out a petal as she continued. "You and Carmilla only see the present and the future. I can't shake the past."

"Neither can Carmilla." Morana pointed out. "She still has nightmares about the years before she killed the Vampire who turned her. She doesn't forget, Striga. She just looks ahead."

"But taking and controlling an 800-wide corridor of land..."

"It's big."

"Big scheme."

"Big dream."

"Fucking scheme. This is what she does, she pulls this stuff out of the air and expects the three of us to make it happen. I'm happy that Lilith doesn't have to deal with it yet." Striga says.

"But can it be done? Militarily?" Morana asks her.

Striga lets out a scoff. "In theory? I need more intelligence from the territory."

Morana gave a smile. "But in theory? You said it be hard to police. I mean, would we have to throw stoked around the corridor or...."

"Oh no, the border would be entirely notional. It's a question of putting rotating sweeper patrols on the border, building watchtowers, taking towns, and forming fortified camps to concentrate the humans in." Striga says. Though she was supportive of her, Striga still believes it would be hard to execute Carmilla's plan.

"So you know you can do it?" Morana asks.

"Well, maybe. Possibly. But it would be hard." Striga said.

"Anything worth doing is hard. And just think, if we did this, you would be commanding the army of an empire." Morana tells her lover.

"What?"

"We would own and control the land from here to Braila. Almost to the black sea, that's not a country or a region, love. That's an empire!" Morana said with boldness in her voice.

"An imperial army..." Striga mused. That does sound nice. "Applying all the lessons from empires of old. If you can win the war, I can perfect the machinery of empire." Morana said. Striga burst out a laugh before letting a content sigh. "This is how she does it. The horrible bitch gets in our heads and inspires us to make her madness work." Striga said.

"Yes, it is. But imagine. An empire ruled by four women, creating a wonderous pen for Lilith to play in to her dead heart's content. Where she can grow up into the Vampire princess we all know she can be." Morana said.

"Vampires and sisters." Striga says. The two lovers rose to their feet, holding each other as they gaze up at the moon above, shouting with vigour into the night, "Vampires and sisters, we have a scheme!!" Laughing as they were embracing the scheme and dream of ruling the empire together. They were caught up in their joy that they failed to notice a cloaked figure running towards the castle. Sneaking they're way inside.

Lilith was gathering and making food to bring back to Hector and Silvanus, bringing some more blankets and sets of clothes along with it. She also was bringing a special surprise for both of them. As she was preparing everything, her vampiric senses alerted her of someone walking up to behind her. She quickly turned around and gasped in shock when she saw the cloaked figure coming up and reaching towards her.

"Lilith?" Lenore's voice called out. The Vampiress and the mysterious figure almost jumped at the sound of her voice, but Lilith snapped out of it and shoved the figure into a cabinet, going back to the basket and switching her persona just as Lenore entered the kitchen. "Ah, thought you might be here. How did it go? Well, I hope."

"Mmm, if only..." Lilith pouted a bit. "My illusion didn't work on his, that mean human saw right through it and then he threatened me. But don't worry because I did exactly what Carmilla told me to do if a human refuses to listen to you."

"You beat him to a measly pulp?" Lenore questioned with a smile on her face. Lilith beamed up and nodded her head. "Uh-huh! I did, I gave him a warning to never underestimate me again!" She said in a happy tone. Lenore laughed as she patted her little sister's head. "Good girl, Lilith. You're becoming more of a Vampire every day." She told her.

"Does that mean I can have a spot in the council now?" Lilith joyfully asked.

"Not yet. You still have much to learn but we promise you'll play your part soon enough." Lenore told her.

"Hurray! I'll work twice as hard then to make you and my other big sisters proud!" Lilith said with a child-like giggle as she hugged Lenore. Lenore hugged her back and looked over to the basket. "My, this is quite a meal you made. Are you planning another game this time?" She asked.

"Uh-huh. It's a simple game with simple rules so there won't be any trouble." Lilith said.

"I see. Then would you mind if I come along to play as well?"

"Huh? Why? I can do it myself." Lilith said. Shit, she can't let her come with her! It'll ruin everything.

"And I have faith that you can, but don't forget, I have to get Hector on our side as well. It'll be easier if we play together this time." Lenore said.

"Aw....okay." Ugh! Damn it! She'll just have to work around this and make sure Hector plays along so she wouldn't get suspicious. "Well, whenever you're ready, I'll be waiting by the dungeon's entrance." Lenore says as she turned to leave the kitchen. Lilith smiled and waved her goodbye.

Once she was sure Lenore was gone, Lilith switched back to her real self and went to the cabinets and practically threw the cloaked figure into the open. Lilith ripped the cloak off them and angrily questioned, "Noah, what in God's name are you doing here?"

"I wanted to see you again." Noah told her with no hesitation. This was Noah Darcy. A young human teenager with amber-coloured eyes, black, thick and wavy medium length hair, tapering off at his neck. He has very thick eyebrows and his bangs hang over his eyes. His figure is considerably thin, almost feminine. He does have broad shoulders but his waist is very thin. He wore a white long sleeve shirt with a high collar and a green vest laced in the front, black pants and brown boots.

Lilith blushed at that but shook her head. "I missed you too, but you shouldn't have come here. It's too dangerous for you and the last thing I want is that whore Carmilla to find you." She said as she cupped the teen's cheek. Noah leaned against her touch and reached up to hold her hand. He can understand how she feels, but it's been a full month since he last saw her and he needed to see her beautiful face again. And besides, he wasn't a kid anymore. "I know, but Lilith you taught me everything I know about fighting Vampires and keeping myself hidden. How do you think I made this far?" He asked.

"That doesn't matter, I refused to allow Carmilla to even know you exist. She had already stolen so much from me as it is." Lilith says with a saddened tone. Noah was the only good thing she has in her life. He was her only lifeline to keep her from falling into utter madness and self-destruction. Noah gave a crestfallen look and walked up to her. Pulling her into a loving embrace and saying, "She stole them from me too and I'm going to leave you here. You're more powerful than any of them combined, I don't understand why you don't just kill them and we can leave Styria together."

"Carmilla's convinced that living with humans corrupted my way of thinking so she's been grooming me to be her protege. I had to endure that hell to gain her and the others trust. Believe me, I was planning to slaughter them when she unfolded her plan to turn this country into her food pen. But then...something else came up and I've formed a new plan." Lilith tells him as a smile spread on her face. Noah seemed curious about this new plan of hers.

"Really? What does it infold?" He asked.

"I'll explain later, right now I have meet up with Lenore." Lilith said. She then let out a sigh and said, "I can't expect you to leave any time soon but I have to keep you safe. I'll be transporting you to my room and hiding you away. I'll be back to get you soon."

"Alright, fine. If it'll make you feel better. By the way, who's Hector?"

"A new alley and a potential friend if all works out. Anyway, I'll be seeing you soon." Lilith tells him. She gave him a tender kiss on his cheek before she snapped her fingers. Noah disappeared within the swarm of countless little bats without a trace. Now that he was safely hidden away in her chambers, Lilith took the basket and clothing and walked out to meet with Lenore. No matter what, she was going to put an end to Carmilla and the council of sisters. She swore to herself that she would free Hector and his family and make sure those disgusting bitches pay for the suffering they caused her and countless others.

Maybe then may Lilith finally gain back her sense of peace once again. Maybe then she can gain a clean slate, a new beginning with Noah. Just a little longer. Just a little longer and she can set herself free.

Chapter 27: Warped Views. The Impossibility Of Kindness

Chapter Text

*Lindenfeld*

Back at the town of mystery, Saint Germain gains entrance to the monastery. However, the monks don't seem to trust him very well as they were keeping a close eye on the man. "They may be crazy but they're careful." Saint Germain mutters under his breath as he nears the priory. "Time to play the game. Be masterly, young man." Saint Germain made his way towards the priory steps and before he could reach the front door, Sala had opened it and stared at him with blank eyes.

"Prior Sala. I thank you again for this opportunity and this insight into your fascinating new philosophy." Saint Germain says. Even though Saint Germain has access to the priory, he can't stop sucking up to the monk, which the latter finds it to be patronizing.

"I wish you'd stop talking to me like I'm insane, Saint Germain." He told him. "It's not like I'm some demented child that would wet itself if you stopped patting me on the head."

"Oh, well, um, I'm...sorry?" Saint Germain stammers.

"Don't be sorry. Just be better." Sala says as he lets the man in. "Yes, of course. Um...thank you." Saint Germain said as he steps inside the priory. While inside, Saint Germain was almost taken aback at the condition of the place. "Lovely place." It was horrifyingly degrading. The cross was pointed upside down, there was feces, blood, and bugs crawling around the priory. Saint Germain let out a cough as he tried to maintain his composure. "Quite lovely."

"This suffices." Sala says as he leads Saint Germain to their library, which is nothing more than a pile of books. "This is part of the library. You can start here."

"Very original shelving method." Saint Germain said.

"Yes, well, in the grand scheme of things. They no longer seem necessary. But you persuaded me that there may yet be something more in them. So...have at it." Sala tells him.

Before he can start looking through the pile of books, Saint Germain looked over at the cross of the priory and notices it being upside down. He pointed over to it and made it known. "Might I point out that your wall hanging is crooked?" He asked.

"It got knocked askew when our visitor arrived. It's not something we give too much thought too. He may even be pointing in the right direction now." Sala said.

"Towards Hell. Where the night creature came from. Your 'visitor'." Saint Germain pointed.

"Why do we call them 'night creatures', Saint Germain?" Sala questioned, getting close to Saint Germain's face with a creepy stare.

"Well, because...they only come at night, I supposed or it's a simple translation of a very long. Prussian word." Saint Germain said.

"But they bring light. The very name 'Lucifer' means 'Light-Bringer'." Sala says with a small happy smile on his face. The prior's words scare Saint Germain, and he takes a few steps away from him and he questions the monk's loyalty. "Have you stopped believing in God, prior?"

"Not at all. God created everything. God created Hell. If God is perfect then causing Lucifer to go to Hell is his plan. The wisdom of Hell and its night creatures is God's wisdom. Don't you see how it all begins to make a terrible sense?" Sala asks Saint Germain with a peaceful smile. Though his words disturbed him, Saint Germain was also fascinated with Sala.

"It is indeed...fascinating. Tell me, how did you arrive at that symbol to identity for yourselves?" He asks. Looking over the armband of the preacher.

"This? Those of us who bore witness to the Visitor wear it because he gave it to us."

"Do you know what it means?"

"It is his mark."

"No, Sala. It's the alchemical sign for sulphur. Used by philosophers to denote Hell." Saint Germain said.

Sala looked genuinely surprised at that. "We wear the mark of Hell?" He asked.

"Yes."

"Magnificent." This tidbit makes Sala's eyes glitter with joy.

"Indeed." Saint Germain said.

"You are a wise man, Saint Germain. I confess I had doubts about you. But I stand delighted that you would bring us your knowledge. Please! Begin!" Sala said, sounding more in awe and respectful towards Saint Germain as he moved towards the library. "Find us more treasure that we may increase our knowledge of the true way of things. You will be brought bread and wine shortly." He says as he walks away but stops to give one last word. "But please...restrict yourself to this hall for the moment. Much work goes on elsewhere and I would not have it disturbed. Yes?"

"Yes. Of course, this hall only...for the moment." Saint Germain said as he raised his hand to show that he was a man of his word.

"Excellent." Sala says. After he leaves, Saint Germain lets out a sigh as he goes through the books in the pile until he picks one that quickly captures his interest. As he read the book by the window, he was completely unaware of Vano, Trevor and Sypha sneaking around the priory.

"May I ask what it is we are doing?" Vano asked the young Hunter.

"We are gathering information. Understanding the territory." Trevor says as he stood up against the corner of the building, searching around the area.

"You sound like a burglar." Sypha pointed out.

"I'm a drifter, Sypha. I can't roll up in a cute little wagon in my quaint Speaker robes and get arms from the locals. Of course, I've been a burglar." Trevor said.

"We could just ask people some questions."

"Hey." A gruff voice called out. The three turned and saw a scarred faced monk approaching them. Vano narrowed his eyes at him while Trevor let out a groan. "Oh, good."

"Oh, good! Hello." Sypha said, more happily, as she walked over to the scarred man.

"Move away."

"Gladly. I just have a few questions for you." Sypha says as the two men went to her side. The scarred man lifted his hand to prevent the young woman to speak any further. "Nobody comes near our home. Move." The monk demanded.

"Calm down." Trevor said as he and Vano stood in front of the Speaker and narrowed their stares at the monk. The three stared each other down before Sypha walked in between them and resumed the pleasantries. Trying to defuse the situation. "We are visitors to your lovely town."

"There was only one...visitor."

"Okay... We are travellers. Pausing here for a few days, and my idiot servant here," Sypha motioned to Trevor. "This kind gentleman," She motioned to Vano. "And I couldn't help but notice your pretty priory and...your armband. I hadn't gotten a close look at that before."

"Enough. Move away. We protect this place."

"From what?" Trevor asked.

"Prying eyes. Anyone who tries to interfere, anyone who gets in the way of the work." The monk told him.

"Are you aware of the true meaning behind that symbol on your cloth?" Vano asked him with a cold voice.

"The visitor gave it to us."

"What's the work? What are you doing in there?" Sypha asked before more of the monks appeared and cornered them.

"No more. You're new here. So, in the interest of a quiet life, I'll give you this one chance. Everyone here knows not to approach the priory. Everyone here knows not to ask questions. You leave us alone. We have work to do." The scarred man said in a low voice.

"Fine. Thank you very much for your kindness." Sypha says as the trio make their leave. Although, as they make their leave, the Speaker tells the Hunter to have his whip ready. "Just one more thing. Speakers tend to be natural prey in towns because we don't carry weapons. So we all learn how to spot when someone's concealing a knife." Sypha said, turning back to the monks.

"Monks, one of the many servants of the Holy Father of Heaven, wearing a the alchemic sigh for Hell and concealing blades in their robes. I find that rather strange for a small town such as this." Vano said. The scarred-faced monk bared his teeth at the giant and instinctively reached for his knife when suddenly electricity clawed down his arm. The monk yelled out in pain as he nearly fell to his knees.

Sypha and Trevor turned to Vano in surprised. He didn't raise his hand or even a single finger, and yet his magic struck the monk with excellent precision. Vano shook his head in disappointment as he turned to leave. "Such failures you all turn out to be." He said as he left. Trevor and Sypha took one last look at the monks before they followed Vano.

"Priest with knives. This is Gresit all over again." Sypha said.

"Are you sure you didn't overplay, I mean you have a habit...." Trevor said.

"Perhaps. But quietly competent people are competent and careful. Nervous people make mistakes. I'd rather they were nervous than happy in their work." Sypha says.

"Their "work" is what's concerning me in this town. If we don't find out the source of their madness than Lindenfeld will be swallowed by Hell's fires." Vano said as they were approaching The Judge, who was standing outside and eating an apple.

"If I thought just rolling up to the front door and annoying some mad monks would do the trick...I would have done it my fucking self."  He said.

"That place stinks of magic. They're doing something terrible inside." Sypha said as they walked right past the startled judge. Although their discussion was short, it did reveal quite a bit of information about the monks and their monastery.

*Carmilla's castle*

Lilith and Lenore once again visit Hector down in the dungeon and the young Vampiress giggled loudly as she makes their presence known. "Excuse me, little puppy! I'm back and I brought my big sister with me this time, so you better behave yourself or else I'll give you unspeakable pain!" She said with a joyful laugh. Hector tried not to look so surprised. The way she can switch personalities was rather unsettling. Even more, so that they were so convincing.

"Now, now, Lilith. Show some restraint." Lenore said as she patted the younger girl on the head. Lilith smiled and nodded. She held up the basket and pulled out a shiny red apple. "I made a new game for us to play, understand? I have one question." She said with a crazed, yet excitable look in her eyes. While Lenore found it charming, Hector could tell right away what she was trying to say to him. They couldn't talk normally because Lenore was here. He needed to play along with her facade lest they avoid suspicion or else Lilith was going to hurt him. Not in the same way as the others would but...still...

"Oh, for God sake. I'm only alive because Carmilla wants a Forgemaster, aren't I? Stop pretending that is anything other than what it is." Hector says as he glares at the two.

"I'll answer your question. Yes, Carmilla is keeping you around because she'd like a Forgemaster." Lenore said as Lilith tossed the apple into his cell, landing right next to him. "Now you answer our questions." Hector stares at the apple in suspicion and Lilith giggled as she leaned in close. "Silly puppy, it's not poisoned, now eat up!" Knowing that she's literally the only person he could trust right now, Hector took the apple and took a bite. Savouring the sweetness of the fruit. "Alright." He said.

"Good. What would you like?" Lenore asked him.

"What?"

"It's clear enough. Let's talk about what you would like." Lenore said.

"My lover and my son returning to me." Hector firmly said. Then he looked down at his feet and added, "Shoes." The two Vampire sisters laughed at that. "Fair." Lenore said.

"Puppy, puppy! Did the apple buy us another question?" Lilith asked.

"Why not-? Alright, ask away." Hector said.

"What was Dracula going to give you?" Lenore questioned. That took Hector by surprised. "I... I don't understand the question." He said.

"You were helping build an army for Dracula. You were advising him. He was going to kill all the humans." Lenore said.

"I didn't know that." Hector quickly said. "I didn't understand that until later. I thought it was going to be a cull, with the human population controlled and incarcerated."

'That's exactly what Carmilla's planning to do. Hm, I've got to get him to realise that's not how humanity should live.' Lilith thought to herself. Of course, the only one to help her help him see that was... Lilith reached down to her dress's pocket and gripped the bottle inside it. Leonora.

"Really?" Lenore asked with interest as she raised her brow. "That is exactly our plan. So he lied to you."

'She's toying with him. Hector...please, see through her tricks.'

Hector let out a sigh and leaned against the wall. "He...he withheld."

"Oh, well, nevermind." Lenore said.

"Me next! What was Dracula going to give you? For doing this work that he lied to you like a bad meanie? What was the reward for a loyal puppy?" Lilith asked.

"I assumed my family and I would live outside whatever enclosures were placed around the remaining humans." Hector said.

"You assumed?" Lenore questioned.

"I'm not sure there was ever a conversation as such. He would have continued to need night creatures. He seemed to value my advice so maybe I would have kept a role in his court." Hector told her.

"Assumed. Seem to. Maybe. Did you not want a reward, Hector? Or were you just expecting one to be presented?" She asks. But Hector didn't respond. Yet, that was more than enough. "So, what do you want?"

"I wasn't necessarily looking for a reward. I believed in his work." Hector said.

"But you expected something, right?" Lilith asked.

"Even if that was only to be spared from the slaughter or to be kept in a cage." Lenore said with a slight laugh. "So that worked out well. Seriously, other than your-." Lenore started to say before she silenced herself when Hector glared at her, making her choose her words carefully. "Other than...shoes."

"This isn't a serious conversation."

"Oh, it is. Because Carmilla has commenced her plans to place the human populations under controls. Mercy kills and, if you forgive the term, human feeding. This is the same that Dracula presented to you, yes?" Lenore asked.

"Much the same."

"Only he was lying and planned to exterminate the human race, yes?"

"Yes."

"We're not lying and we don't expect you to work for free, or even for shoes."

"You're briding me, you mean."

"Ugh! Idiot! We're paying you!" Lilith shouted in frustration, Lenore held her hand before continuing. "Nobody here holds a grudge, Hector. I'm not saying Carmilla pushed you here on a wagon filled with feathered down. She was pissed off, yes, but if she left you and your family in Braila, do you think you'd be alive today?"

"I'd still have my family and my shoes."

"So you would've died with your boots on and your family at your side?"

"Leonora is far stronger than you give her credit for. If not Dracula, she'd would've protected me and our son. I know she would." Hector said. He wanted to be left behind at Braila. He wanted Leonora to be released so that they could've left and started over somewhere else. Where he would've gone down to his knees and begged Leonora to forgive him for being so foolish. Where the three of them would've been truly free.

"Oh, I'm sure Dracula would too. Even though he decided to kill every human being on earth because they murdered his wife. I'm sure the three of you would've been the only survivors of the human race. Makes perfect sense. On the bright side, after everybody on earth was dead, you could've had your pick of any house you wanted. Unless he was lying to you." Lenore said.

"But if you're lying to me?" Hector asked.

"Oh, I don't have to lie to you. I have no interest in faith. Faith makes for terrible diplomacy. This is simply commerce. In commerce, we don't have to faith in each other, do we? We don't have to guess. It's simple. There are rules. We give you something. You give us something." Lenore tells him.

"You understand that when I forge a night creature, they are bound to my command." Hector pointed out. "They're loyalty is to me."

"Well, maybe we'll talk about that another time. Until then...I'll see what I can do about your family and I'll get you some shoes." Lenore said.

"And what do I have to give you in return?" Hector asked.

"Talk to me some more and be a friend to our princess here." Lenore said as she places her hands on Lilith's shoulders. Hector chuckled a bit. "About? And why?"

"Whatever you like. You're the first Lilith seems to be fond of. Plus, I like the sound of your voice. You're interesting. I mean, look at you, beaten down a dozen different ways, and you don't give up on yourself." Lenore said. "It's...nice." With that Lenore takes her leave. When her footsteps faded away, Lilith banged her head against the wall, making a huge crater. "Ugh! Thank God, she's gone! I don't you if you noticed, but I was holding myself back from tearing out her tongue." She said.

"I can understand that. You were right. She would use anything to get me to see in her favour. It disgusted me that she used flattery." Hector said. He almost gagged when she pulled that card.

"You are loyal though. Leonora is the only one who resides in your heart, right?" Lilith kindly asked him.

"Until the end of time. She's everything I hold dear in this world. I never would've imagined I could ever love someone as much as I do her. I just...." Hector trailed off as he looked down at his hands. "I just wish I could hold her in my arms again. Tell her I love her and how sorry I am."

"Your wish is my command." Lilith said. Before Hector could ask what she meant, his eyes widened when she pulled out a familiar bottle and held out towards him. She gave him a kind smile as she opened it. A swirl of flames spaced from the bottle until it landed in front of him. Growing in size before the flames dispersed. Hector could barely breathe as he gazed at the gorgeous woman before him.

"Hector...?" Leonora asked in disbelief.

"Leonora..."

Without wasting another second, the two reunited lovers embraced each other and held on tight. Not wanting to let go for they feared that the other would vanish in a puff of smoke. They were practically in tears as they held each other. It warmed Lilith's heart as she watched them. It was a small window, but she was happy that she was able to do something for them. "My love...! My dearest, I'm so-."

"It doesn't matter! I have you back." Leonora said. Hector could only smile as he pulled her into a passionate kiss.

*Genoa*

Thanks to The Captains help, Isaac and his night creatures arrive at Genoa. As they walked down the port, Issac turned back to the ship and gave one final wave goodbye to him, tow which The Captain happily returned. With the anchor risen and the walkway pulled in, the ship sailed off to another destination. Issac was nearing the town when something caught his eye. At the very end of the port, he spotted a child sleeping underneath a tarp. As he walked closer, he took in the sight of the child.

She was a cute, deathly pale-skinned little girl with long black hair that has square bangs, a large dirty white ribbon tied in the back. She wore a dirty, tarred red-coloured dress that came just below her knees.

Judging by the way she 'lived' and appeared, it was obvious she was homeless and orphaned. Isaac wasn't exactly sure why he did what he did, but Captain's words echoed through his mind. Isaac went over to the child. His footsteps awakened her from her sleep, revealing her light blue eyes and she looked up at him with an expression of innocence and slight fear.

To teach others how to be kind.

Isaac kneeled and offered his hand to the child. The little girl stared up at him with confusion as the fear in her eyes became evident. "It is alright. I won't hurt you, I promise." He said, hoping that he sounded kind. The child looked at him with curiosity next. She turned to his night creatures then back at him. She was hesitant but she reached out to hold his hand. As Isaac began to help her up, a group of men-at-arms approach him.

Isaac gathers the child in his arms and removes his hood. "You have nothing to fear from me. We're just leaving. This child is alone, I shall take her in." He tells them.

"No." The sergeant said.

"No?" Isaac questioned.

"No. You will not enter Genoa. Leave the child, get back on your ship, with your monstrosities, and leave!" He demanded.

Isaac turned back to open water and said, "It seems my ship as already left. It has a shrewd captain. It took his wit to show me that I've stopped praying. Can you imagine that? I stopped praying and devoting myself and I hadn't even noticed. What a monster I've become. You don't want me to be a monster right here in your nice port, do you? Let us pass." Isaac said, trying to talk with the man peacefully.

"No."

"My ship is gone, and I need to go north." Isaac tells him. "Let us through."

"We'll drive you and your filthy creatures into the sea if we have to. We know what's been happening in Wallachia, it will not happen here." The sergeant. Isaac let out an angry sigh. Once again, he experiences the rudeness of humans.

"I cannot believe this is happening again. It's absurd. I just...can't...  Why do I keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result? Isn't that the definition of insanity? Am I mad?" Isaac questioned. "You know... one day the last one of you will ask me, why did you work with Dracula himself to murder all the people? And you know what I'll say? It's because you're all so fucking rude..!" Isaac covered the girl's eyes as he orders his night creatures to attack. Laying waste to the men and offering his fresh material for him to use. With each corpse given to him, Isaac uses his knife to create more night creatures. One. Every. Last. One.

Chapter 28: The Odd Going-on in the Church

Chapter Text

The twins excitedly ran into the camp in the forest, a few feet away from Lindenfeld, passing by their fellow gipsies as they searched around for Vano. They had to share the news. They couldn't waste another second. They giggled and laughed as they ran through the camp. Duke ran on ahead and was so engrossed in his excitement that he bumped into his eldest sister.

"Duke, Selina, there you are. Where have you gone, you were supposed to accumulate nourishment for tonight's supper." Their sister, Everilda said.

"Oh....uh, we were but we had found something grander than our wildest dreams." Selina said.

"Sister, where is Chief Vano? We have to tell him that we have met Lord Belmont and he has our clan's symbol given to him by a fellow sister!" Duke boasted out, causing everyone in earshot to snapped into attention and chatter amongst themselves. Did they meet a Belmont? A member of a noble household? A man born of legend. Not only that, but he has met one of their own out there?

Everilda looked at them with surprised and seemed to get just as overwhelmed as them but then she shook her head. "My dears, please be reasonable. While meeting a Belmont would be an honour, the chances of one meeting one of our own are narrow as our efforts." She told them.

"But it's true, Everilda, we met a Belmont. Here in Lindenfeld." Selina insisted. "Where is Chief Vano or Lady Mercy, they must know as well!"

"Lady Mercy has gone of collecting fresh water and food with our other sisters and Chief Vano has gone to meet with the town's judge but-," Everilda tells them before the twins quickly ran off as soon as she spoke of him meeting the Judge.

"Thank you!" They exclaimed.

"Duke! Selina! Wait!" Everilda called out before she placed her hands on her hips and shook her head. "My little darlings. So young, so full of hope. I can only pray that their kind innocence doesn't cause misfortune to them." She sighed out sadly as she watched them go.

The twins ran back into town as they search for their chief. Running through the streets and nearly knocking down a few of the citizens. During their search, they came across Trevor walking through the crowd. They smiled at each other as they began to follow him out of town and into the forest. Staying just bit a ways behind him. They wanted to surprise the hunter so they climbed the trees and hopped from branch to branch, keeping a close eye on the hunter.

"Lord Belmont appears more captivating with every glance. Do you think he fights exactly as the stories say?" Selina asked quietly.

"I'm sure that he must. Ah, do you suppose he might teach me to fight with a whip of chains?" Duka said. He had been taught how to fight thanks to his father and Vano, but the idea of being trained under Trevor would be a dream come true. The twins jumped onto another branch when they saw Trevor stopping at a pool of water.

"What the hell are you doing with your life?" Trevor asked. Talking to his reflection. "I'm talking to you, Trevor Belmont, of House Belmont with no living relatives. It is you I address. Last surviving monster hunter from out here in the armpit of the world." He says as he kneeled to the water. Sneering at his reflection. "What the actual hell are you thinking...idiot." He said, swiping at the water.

Duke and Selina glanced at each other in concern before turning their attention back to young Hunter. "You're a tramp. You're excommunicated. You have no family, you have no friends. You've spent your entire adult life being hated by everyone you've ever met. And you were fine with that, you'd even liked it. Nobody could get near you, nobody could ruin your life because there wasn't much left to ruin. But that last, little bit of it, that was yours. And then what? A pretty girl holds your hand and takes you to bed and all of a sudden-."

"And all of a sudden your world changes and you don't know what to think about it. Sorry." The Judge says, suddenly appearing and interrupting Trevor's rather intense conversation with himself. Trevor gave the man a look. "You weren't following were you?" He questioned as the Judge takes a seat on a nearby stump.

"This is my little place of peace. I come out here to think sometimes. Pretty sure you're nice little house has a door on it." Trevor said.

The Judge chuckled. "Well, I can't always do it at home. Someone could always knock on my door. Somebody always needs something. Sometimes, I had to walk outside the town to be able to see it properly. So, you're an actual Belmont. I grew up with stories about your family."

"Scary bedtime stories?" Trevor asked as he takes a seat on a stump as well.

"Mostly. They still tell them here, you know. But they have a different ending now." Judge said.

"Oh?"

"They end with 'And the Belmonts aren't here to save you anymore. So if you're not good, the monster will come and eat you up!'. The Judge says.

"It is quite an effective disciplinary tactic." Selina admitted, quietly.

"Shh." Duke hushed her.

"Christ..." Trevor sighed.

"Yes. Well...Lindenfeld is full of basic kind of people. Honest to the point of brutality."

"You're not one of them?" Trevor asked.

"Not really. You can't be part of the town and also rule it. To be a leader, you will always be held a part in the rest of your world." The Judge responded. "I was born here. So I can't claim to be a Lindenfelder. My family and I left when I was young, we moved to the capital, you see? I remember thinking as we left, 'I'll never see this place again'." He said as he recalled that distant memory.

"I remember the same thing as I left my old house. Places have a strange of catching back up with you." Trevor said.

The Judge let out a small chuckle as he pulled out a canteen of water. "I suppose so. By some roads are circular. I rose in the Court in the capital and did just well enough that I was sent back here to head the town."

"In my experience, no good deed goes unpunished. Do you miss the capital? I only passed through it a couple of times." Trevor inquires. The Judge took a swig of his water before responding. "Well, coming back here to run the town was....an odd little revelation for me. The same stories happen in cities but there are so many people in cities that the stories just rush by. Here, every little story is a huge thing. A farming accident. A sickness. A lost child. A death. They have an importance to the whole place. Doesn't happen in cities." He then tosses the canteen over to Trevor.

"So, how long have you and Sypha been travelling together?" He asked.

"Couple of months." He says as he drinks some of the water. "We were supposed to go rejoin her caravan but...things happened along the way. Then at some point to just keep moving I suppose. Although, we were happy to have kept a promise to a friend. Finding her people...." He said as he tossed the canteen back to him. Though it appeared the Judge didn't notice, the twins did.

Trevor had said that last part with a slight saddened, yet soothed tone that caused the twins to wonder. Who was this mysterious sister that Trevor had promised to help locate them? What type of relationship did they have before departing? These types of questions made them want to talk to him more and to have Chief Vano meet with him. They were sure he and Lady Sypha would know where his daughter was.

"Well, it doesn't sound you decided much of anything." The Judge stated as he began to walk away with Trevor following in tow, which prompted the twins to follow him back to town. "I suppose not." The Hunter said.

"Not really a man with a plan, are you Belmont?" The Judge asked.

"I don't especially trust men with plans. That Saint-Germain git in town, he's a man with a plan. That's what they're like." Trevor said.

"Fucking charlatan. Used to see them in the capital, his type. Drifting between the courts of Europe. Pulling rabbits out of hats and over-patronage." The Judge tells him.

"What's he doing here?"

"God knows. Maybe he's finally hit bottom." The Judge says. As the two men walk back to the town when the Judge suddenly notices a symbol on the gate. "Wait." He said, stopping in his tracks.

"What?"

"There wasn't there yesterday." The Judge says as he walks over to the strange symbol. Upon closer inspection, it mimics a scythe.

"Are you sure that's not just some kid fucking around with his knife?" Trevor asks.

"Children do not run around defacing property with my town. In fact, they don't run around at all if I could help it." The Judge says, tracing his hand on the strange symbol. While Trevor believes it's the action of a child, the Judge believes that someone else is responsible for this.

"And you know it wasn't there yesterday?" Trevor asks him.

The Judge lets out a sigh. "This is my town, Belmont. It's my job to pay attention to it."

"I have to say, running a town does not sound like its fun." Trevor says as he watches the Judge walk away. "It has its little pleasures." He says as he into town. Leaving Trevor alone where he stood. The twins stayed back as they thought about what they had heard and witnessed. Selina held her brother's arm and quietly whispered, "I have a grave impression about this. This is why Chief Vano lead us here, correct? Because something disastrous is happening here?"

"It has to be. We all felt it when we were travelling nearby here. We may have deceived them into thinking we'd be here for a moment, but....I'm sure Chief Vano wants to put an end to whatever threat that's plaguing this town." Duke said, trying to make sense of the strange marking. He then shook his head and turned to his sister. "Anyway, let's worry about it later until we speak to Chief Vano. Right now, it appears Lord Belmont has heaviness weighing down his mind. Let's cheer him up."

Selina smiled and nodded in agreement. "You're right. We must." The twins looked back at Trevor, took one step and teleported right above him. Landing on his back and wrapping their arms around him. Trevor let out a yell of surprise and nearly lost his balance due to the extra weights that suddenly overcame him. "Lord Belmont!" Selina said. "Found you!" Duke said.

"Now you have to play with us!" They said in unison.

"The hell did you come from?! Get off!" Trevor shouted as he swung his body around to get the twins off of him, but it only served to make them laugh and hold on tighter. "So, that's how you want, is it?" Trevor questioned as he steeled himself. As the twins began to laugh and smile, it slowly began to make Trevor smile as well as he kept trying to shake them off as he stumbles back into town.

Meanwhile, in the monastery, Saint Germain is reading through various notes and books he had collected. Trying to gain as much information as he can. While he was skimming through the books, he takes notice of the church's monks talking amongst themselves and walking off to God knows where leaving him alone. Once the main doors closed behind them, Saint-Germain smiled as he's given the perfect opportunity to snoop around. After he made sure that no one was around or watching him, he reached into his pocket, taking out a pouch and pulling out a beautiful crystal.

He takes the crystal in hand and began rubbing it between his fingers until it began to emit a strange glow. Saint-Germain let out a small gasp as he held up the crystal. "It's here. It's really here." He says to himself as he looks at the crystal with a relieved smile. Saint-Germain took one last look around before getting up, using the jewel as a compass.

"This way." He walks down a pathway and as he rounded a corner, he stops in his tracks when he notices the same alchemic sigh for sulphur on the ceiling above him which, disturbingly enough, looked like it had been written in blood. Judging by the crystal's glow, it appeared to be leading Saint-Germain to the entrance of the basement. He puts the crystal away and just when he starts to descend the stairs, Sala appears.

"You were told where to stay, Saint-Germain."  Sala said, warning the man.

"And I'm absolutely am." He said as he quickly took a step back away from the Prior.

"Except that you appear to be in front of me." He said.

"Well, terribly embarrassing, really, I was looking for somewhere discreet to...urinate." The aristocrat said, making a quick excuse. However, Sala doesn't buy his lie. "Go outside like everyone else." He said.

"Of course."

"Why do you think I would believe you were looking for somewhere to piss down here?" Sala asked.

"Well, I-I-I recently spent some time in the free imperial city of Frankfurt, where public toilets are often accessed by step and since Lindenfeld is so obviously a seat of civilization and refinement, I thought-." Saint-Germain began to explain himself before Sala raised his hand to stop from talking any more.

"Outside." He firmly stated. Though he didn't believe his lie, the leader of the monks, nevertheless, lets him go. "Outside. Indeed." Saint-Germain said as he takes his leave from the basement as Sala watches him go with a look of suspicion. "'Public toilets'... Does this really look like a palace to you?" He questions.

Outside, once he gave a nod of goodbye to the monks standing guard, Saint-Germain walks away from the monastery with so many thoughts running through his head. He was too focused on his recent findings that he didn't notice Sypha spotting him and going up to walk beside him.

"Hello." She greeted.

"Hello." Saint-Germain replied.

"I've been watching the priory for a while now." Sypha stated.

"Have you? That's nice. Since you are a Speaker, I imagine that distracted you from the usual Speaker pursuits of memorising limericks, boiling vegetables, and casually reproducing." Saint-Germain said.

Sypha chuckled a bit. "I am a Speaker. Good eye."

"I have two, in fact."

"So do I. I see that only the monks enter the priory except for you." Sypha says.

"Well, I am very special." Saint-Germain said. This whole time he'd been very calm and in control, but his face contorted into shock when Sypha reveals Saint Germain's secret. "You're also a magician. I have two eyes to." She said with a sly smirk.

"I prefer not to speak of that." Saint-Germain says as he walks away, wanting to be done with this conversation as he also wanted for Sypha to keep that little detail to herself, but the Speaker continued to follow him. "Why? You've made no secret of it. Little tricks to the townsfolk. Lots of talk." She said.

"Yes, for good reason." Saint-Germain tells her.

"What reason?" Sypha asked.

"Let's just say I like it better if people here believe I'm a travelling scholar and an itinerary trickster." Saint-Germain replied.

"What you're saying is...you like it to stay that way." Sypha concluded with a smile that unnerved the aristocrat. Saint-Germain looked around them and, feeling that there were too many eyes and ears open, turned and walked behind a building to avoid the possibility that someone might be listening. "I've been unconscionably rude. I also recognised a threat when I hear it." He says.

"I imagine you're used to them." Sypha says as she crosses her arms.

"I've disrespected you, and I apologise." The aristocrat says as he gave a small apologetic bow and introduced himself to the female Speaker. "I am Count Saint-Germain."

"I am Sypha Belnades. Speaker magician." The former stated.

"And you travel with the Belmont boy." Saint-Germain said.

"I do." Sypha tells him as she turns her attention to the church just a few feet before them. "There's bad magic being done in that place, Saint-Germain. What exactly is it?" She asks. Saint-Germain gave the woman a stare before letting out a sigh. He knew that she wasn't going to leave without a reasonable answer and he also suspects that something ominous is lurking inside the church, so there was no other option but to tell her.

"Alright. There is a thing I am in search of inside the priory. It is occult in nature, it is quite safe if operated wisely." Saint-Germain said. Sypha opened her mouth to speak, the aristocrat quickly continued, knowing what she had planned to ask. "Yes, I am quite sure something else is going on in there. It stinks of night creature, but my only interest is in that one thing. So I would respectfully ask that you go forth and-." Saint-Germain said but was cut off when Sypha's eyes caught something unusual. "Stop." She says as she motions for him to move aside.

When he does, both he and Sypha notices a weird symbol on a wall. The same one that Trevor and the Judge spotted outside the town's gates. Saint-Germain recognizes it and he becomes worried. "Oh...that's worrying. You've seen the armbands they wear?" Saint-Germain asks.

"Yes, and now I see this. The alchemical sign for Saturn." Sypha says.

"And lead, denoting transformation and redemption."

"As well as the scythe to represent time and harvest." A familiar-sounding, thunderous voice chimed in. The two turned and saw Vano walking towards them. His sharp eyes staring down at the symbol. "Lord Saint-Germain, you mentioned the sign of sulphur they wear on their person. Do you have insight as to how they achieved it?" Vano asked the aristocrat.

"They say, their "visitor" gave it to them. The night creature that attacked the priory." Saint-Germain said. Sypha was taken by surprised that Vano was already familiarised with the mysterious magician but decided to ask about that later as there were bigger issues at hand. "Did they give them this one too? What in the name of God is going on in there?" Sypha asks as she looks at the symbol in thought.

"God? I understood you, Speakers, to have quite the fractious relationship with God. On today's evidence, I wonder if Christianity hasn't gone out of fashion." Saint-Germain said.

Sypha gave a slight smile as she gave a dismissive wave of her hand. "Oh, God was terrible. He was fierce and jealous, we all know the stories of God and we fear him." She said. Vano looked over at her and raised a sceptical brow. "God, the holy ruler of Heaven, was jealous. A thousand pardons, but I find that difficult to accept." He said.

"But you shew of the Christ? His sacrifice was a lesson in how to love unconditionally. Which only make sense as my grandfather always says that we want our children to exceed us in every way." Sypha tells the two men.

"You're an unusual woman." Saint-Germain stated.

"Quite." Vano said in agreement.

"Trevor says that." Sypha says with a smile and a shrug.

"Does he really?" Saint-Germain asked.

"Well, he says I'm crazy." Sypha said as she leaned against the building, still smiling her sly smile. "But what you said is what he means, and you did not answer my question."

"I'm honestly not certain. I'm focused entirely on my personal goal, they're all quite mad but this does seem odd." Saint-Germain says as he eyed the marking. Vano narrows his eyes at the mark as well as he ponders what purpose the markings serve. Whatever the reason, the energy he and the clan's been sensing since they've arrived here is nothing short of evil. When he met Saint-Germain and learned his story it only furthered his concerns for the people of this town.

Though he wants nothing more than to find and hold her again in his arms, Vano was thankful that his beloved child wasn't here. She was too kind and innocent to be involved in something like this. Vano was about to voice his thoughts on the markings when a sudden weight fell on his shoulders. He held onto Duke's legs as the young boy sat on his shoulders, smiling wide. "Chief Vano, there's someone you must meet." He said.

Chapter 29: A Hidden Secret? The Infinite Corridor

Chapter Text

Selina giggled as she pulled Trevor along as they finally found their chief. Oh, this is perfect! Once Vano and Trevor meet, surly a strong bond of friendship will be created. She looked up at the Hunter and took noticed that he was looking at something else. "Odd? I've seen that mark twice in one day." Trevor says, joining the three, walking over as he held Selina's hand. Sypha smiles at him and introduces him to Saint Germain. "Ah, I like you to meet my new friend. The Count Saint-Germain. Vano is already acquainted with him."

Trevor looked over and narrowed his eyes at the aristocrat magician. "We've met." He said with some bitterness. Saint-Germain didn't take offence to this and continued to be polite towards the young Belmont. "Yes, I should apologise to you too, I was simply trying to find out if you were here for the same reason I was. Given the nature of your family business and all." Saint-Germain tells him.

"And what reason is that?" Trevor asked.

"It's...personal." Saint-Germain says with slight hesitation.

"I need a drink. Do you need a drink, Saint-Germain?" Trevor suddenly asks him.

"I do not." Saint-Germain said as he turned to take his leave when Trevor lets go of Selina's hand grabs the magician roughly by the shoulder. "Yes, you do. Let's all go to the tavern and have a quiet little chat." Trevor says with a harsh tone. Vano sharpened his gaze as he places Duke back on the ground. Sensing hostility in the air, the twins try to mediate the situation. "Lord Belmont, wait a moment," Selina said.

"If Lord Saint-Germain doesn't wish to partake in refresh himself than-."

"Stay out of this, you two." Trevor tells them, not taking his eyes off of the magician. "I prefer something more private." Saint-Germain said. "There won't be any monks at the tavern and it's just public enough to stop me slitting your throat or Sypha, setting you on fire." Trevor says, shocking the twins.

"What?! Lord Belmont-!" The twins cried out in surprised as they were quickly silenced when Vano stepped forward and gripped Trevor's wrist, forcing it off Saint-Germain's shoulder. Vano applied much force into his grip that was very close in breaking Trevor's bones. As he let out a grunt of pain, Sypha stepped in to stop him but immediately froze when she felt something chilling go through her body. Her eyes trailed down and let out a broken breath as she sees a black, transparent blade piercing through her torso. The Speaker and Hunter stared up at the Chief of the Gipsies in shock as he spoke up.

"I do not care if you are a Belmont. I do not care you or Madam Belnades don't truly mean harm to people... I will not tolerate any threats made to a friend of my clan, so approach your words and actions carefully. Or else you'll both succumb to my wrath." Vano said as he lets go of Trevor and pulls back the blade, vanishing from sight. Sypha quickly checked herself and discovered that there were no visible wounds. Saint-Germain was even more shocked as they were. Although, Duke and Selina stared up at their leader with sympathetic expressions. The white-haired man placed a hand on Saint-Germain's back and motion for the others to follow them to the town's tavern.

Trevor held his wrist as he watches them leave. "Jesus fucking Christ, what the hell kind of man is he?" He said as he tried to soothe his sore wrist. Selina walked over and placed her hands on his wrist. "We deeply apologise for what happened. But do not think anything less of him....it's not his fault." Selina tells him. Duke went over to hold Sypha's hand and looked at them with a sincere apologetic expression. "Please, forgive our Chief. The night of the attack has left him with a somewhat hardened heart. He's hurting inside." Duke says.

"Maybe...but that look in his eyes told me that one misstep, he's gonna kill me. In several different ways." Trevor says as he looks back at the hulking man.

"He won't, believe us. But please don't make any threats around him, Lord Saint-Germain is a very nice man and he's become such a good friend to all of us. So please be kind to him?" Selina asks them with a pleading look in her multi-coloured eyes. Trevor and Sypha looked over at each other and the Hunter lets out a sigh. "Fine."

The twins let out a sigh of relief and began leading the two towards the tavern to meet up with the others. "We sincerely wish you seek to be friends with our chief and aid him in finding his child once this foreboding confusion is accomplished." Duke says.

"That does remind me, what is Vano's daughter's name?" Sypha asked him.

"Oh, you weren't informed? His daughter's name is Miri." Duke said with a smile. The twins jumped when the Hunter and Speaker suddenly turned to them with a shocked expression and shouting out, "What?!"

*In the forest nearby Dracula's castle*

Alucard and Miri stood back to back facing Sumi and Taka as they pointed their long sword and spear at them. Currently, they were training the Hunters of Japan in the arts of the blade. "Come. Show us how you attack." Alucard said with a slight smirk.

"I would, but you wouldn't let me have my bow." Taka says as he charges at the two. Miri moved quickly blocked his sword. Taka moved smoothly with the blade in his hand but it was clear that wasn't used to fighting with a blade. Miri spun her spear, slashing away at him. Taka jumped out of range, but Miri used the back end of her spear to trip him up and kicked away.

"Archer's run out of arrows all the time. I want to see how good you are when it comes down to a blade." Alucard says as he stood calm, and regal as he held his long sword with a single hand. "You cannot rely on a single weapon forever, you must be knowledgeable with close-range weapons if you hope to fight against the creatures of the night." Miri tells them. Sumi smiles as she lets out a laugh as she's next to attack. Now, she was a master with a blade but even she was having trouble in striking at Alucard. She moved and jumped quickly to find an opening but Alucard kept blocking her at every given chance.

When Taka moved to attack him from a supposed blind spot, his attack was foiled by the young gipsy girl. Taka tried to fight her and follow her movements, but he was getting nowhere as she switched her movements from a skilled combatant to that of an exotic dancer. Her movements were nearly unpredictable. The Dhampir and Gipsy worked together and kept the two hunters at bay as neither of them could get close. Thanks to Alucard's long sword.

"Why's your sword so long?" Sumi asks. "I can't get close." Sumi quickly runs towards Alucard to attack and the blond-haired man chuckled a bit. "You want to get close?" He questioned as he used his Vampiric speed to meet up to Sumi, clashing his sword against her own. Sumi's eyes widened when Alucard suddenly gained a hostile expression on his face. He glared down at Sumi and bared his fangs at her, letting out a Vampiric hiss/growl. Sumi backed up in fear.

Taka moved in to attack but Alucard knocked the sword out of Sumi's hands sending it flying behind them and Miri rushed into to intercept Taka's sword. His sword pierced her spear and Alucard turned to point his sword towards the young man. "Never let a Vampire in close. I'm half Vampire. Half of me wants you to step in close enough for me to bite out your throat." Alucard tells them.

"That's why I have a bow and arrows." Taka says, giving a small single to Sumi. The woman caught on and rushed at Alucard and Miri. The Dhampir pushed Taka back while the young girl moved to stop her, but Sumi pulled a fast one on them. She tripped Miri and landed a kicked behind Alucard, knocking them nearly off-balanced. Taka took this opportunity to kicked up Sumi's sword and take it as his own. Alucard recovered quickly and blocked him. "Get them, Sumi!" Taka called out. Sumi then tackled Alucard and Miri to the ground with Taka stumbling down with them. When they fell to the ground, the burst out laughing. Sumi laughed as she rolled off Alucard's back.

"You have both just been eaten by Vampires." Alucard says as he rests his head on his palm.

"No. We capture him and made him our slave, make lunch now." Sumi said with a playful tone.

"Regardless, I'm very happy that you've remembered how to still be human." Miri said with a smile.

"This human could eat lunch too." Taka says, making the other two chuckle.

"Alright. But after which you're going to show me how you attack from a distance. I want to see what I have to work with here." Alucard says as he reaches over to his sword before Sumi rolled back on him. "You're working with hungry people. Carry me to the castle and make lunch, slave." Sumi said.

Miri giggled slightly. "Pardon me, but this Vampire isn't a slave. He's far too endearing to be even considered as such." She says as she lightly pushes Sumi off Alucard and helps him stand back up. "But I will be providing food."

"And after that?" Taka asks as he and Sumi stood up as well.

"After that, we'll see what's in the armoury that might suit you better." Alucard says as he picked up his long sword and puts it back in its sheath. "And then, we may talk about simple combat spellcasting. But first, we'll magic you greedy children up some food." He says, making the two laugh as he takes Miri's hand and began to head in the direction towards the castle.

Something in her mind clicked and Miri slips out of her love's hold, heading towards the bag she had brought containing healing salves. Just in case. However, she caught a glimpse of Sumi and Taka giving each an unreadable look as they turned to follow. She thought it was...strange but shook her head. As she was picking up her bag, Sumi walked over to her. "How much medicine did you bring?" She asked, looking inside the bag and seeing about five salves.

"Well, I wasn't sure just how harsh the training would be so I wanted to be prepared but I also wanted to teach you two on how to make medicine from the nature that surrounds us." Miri told her.

"That would be useful. You're quite knowable about the wilds. Is this a chart you made?" Sumi asked as she pulled a sheet of paper out of the bag. Miri's eyes went as she quickly recognized the paper.

Sumi had only glanced at the paper before Miri practically ripped it out of her hands. Stuffing the sheet inside the bag. Stupid, stupid!! What was she thinking? How could she leave it in there?! She needs to be more careful! "I'm very sorry but this has very little importance with making healing salves. Please, do not worry about such a thing." Miri said with a forced smile as she turned to make sure that Alucard hadn't turned to look. She couldn't bear for him to know. Not now. Who knows how he'll react.

Luckily, he didn't and Miri grabbed hold on Sumi's hand. "Come, you are hungry, aren't you?" She asked kindly as they ran to catch up with the others. However, Sumi was now looking at the young girl with suspicion.

*Back at Lindenfeld*

At the tavern, Saint-Germain sits with Trevor and Sypha at a table near the back. Vano sat beside him like a guard and the twins sat with the Hunter and Speaker, to make sure they don't say anything that might upset their chief. Saint-Germain looked down at his mug before taking a sip. He shuddered a bit when he tasted the alcohol. "Ugh, I'll be glad when I finish that." He says as he watches Sypha put down her own mug. "Are you really an ale drinker, young magician?" He asks.

"I'm developing a taste for the rougher things in life." Sypha says with a slight smile.

"She means me." Trevor responded.

"I mean him." Sypha said in agreement, making the twins laugh in amusement.

"Well, a rounded education is a good thing. The stories I could tell you about my days in the slums of Paris." Saint-Germain says as he begins to recount his days in Paris, France. And what an experience it was. "And that one marvellous night when I invented a drink. I made it from anise, fennel, and the mystical wormwood root. But nobody remembers because we woke up three weeks later somewhere in Latfious, stark naked and utterly drenched in-."

"Saint-Germain. The priory, what's your interest?" Trevor questioned, interrupting him and going straight to the point: What does Saint Germain know about the church? "Lord Belmont." "Don't be so rude." Duke and Selina said. Saint-Germain, on the other hand, didn't feel offended by the interruption and took another sip of his drink before he decided to speak up.

"I do not trust people. Generally. But Speakers are honourable. The gipsies are even more so. And the pedigree of the House of Belmonts speaks for itself." The aristocrat says as he reveals to the group what exactly he's in search of. "Have you heard...of the Infinite Corridor?"

"Yes." Not surprisingly, Trevor and Sypha, and the three gipsies know about this mysterious location.

"Well. I supposed this was the wrong company to unveil ancient occult secrets and don't expect them to be impressive." Saint-Germain says.

"I remember stories conflate. Some say the Infinite Corridor's a pathway to other worlds. Others say it's a portal to Hell." Sypha said.

"Our people once told stories that the Initiate Corridor is like a labyrinth. A twisted maze where they are doors that lead to multiple timelines." Vano said as he recalled the stories his father and grandfather had told their people.

"Only one of my family ever encountered it. She said it was like a door into countless levels of Hell. It was in a castle in Lavonia, she knocked the castle down." Trevor said with a smile and a slight shrug. He took a glance towards Vano. He still couldn't believe that this hulking man was Miri's father. They were so different.

"Mm. Your family tends to be destructively direct." Saint-Germain says. "But you're all right. The Infinite Corridor is a route to many other worlds, it's possible that one of them is Hell, and it does have countless doors to different times." He pauses for a moment as he turned around to make sure that no one was listening to them. Once he made sure it was safe, he pressed on.

"However, in the experience of those of my particular expertise, it is, in fact, a system of doors to other lands, separated from our own by space and time." He says as he pulls a small bag from his jacket and places on the table. The magician then gained a crestfallen, broken-hearted expression on his face. "A long time ago, I lost someone very dear to me in the Infinite Corridor and I had been looking for a way back in ever since. Portals to the Corridor are few and far between, and they drift in and out of existence." He says as he pulls out the same crystal he had used before and showed it to the group.

"There's a portal to the Infinite Corridor under the priory. They haven't let go down there yet, but I know it's there." Saint-Germain says.

"Lithomancy." Sypha says as her eyes widened in recognition.

"Indeed. The jewel has guided me here to the portal." Saint-Germain says as he puts the crystal away. "Of course, if I'd known there was a portal under a pile of stones and fucking Lavonia, I would've had to treap across the entire gaping grey arsole of eastern Europe to trick my way past a gaggle of mad monks, would I?" Saint-Germain says as he whisked up his cup and drank up. Only for him to nearly gag when he tasted it once again.

"Ugh, Christ alive, do you people shit on the grapes?" Saint-Germain angrily asks as one of the bartenders, who was walking around collecting empty mugs and bottles, heard that and quickly walked away. Taking some offence by that remark.

"Who did you lose?" Sypha asks the magician, wanting to understand his motivations but Saint-Germain refused to say anything more.

"Does it matter? Now you know why I'm here and what I'm about, and it has nothing to do with random alchemical signs or Sala's crazy hoard." He says, placing a hand to his forehead. Appearing to be frustrated by everything's that going on. Trevor brought up his hand and then said, "Alright, alright. Calm down. You have no enemies at this table."

"Just stay out of my way. That's all I ask." Saint-Germain says. Trevor then smirked and leans in close. "You don't want to see it, do you?" He asks.

"See what?"

"A night creature landed on priory that has a portal to other worlds under it. What if that was not an accident?" Sypha asks.

Vano narrowed his eyes as he went into deep thinking. That brought up interesting thoughts. "If I recall correctly the judge of this town never said anything about it leaving or at the very least being slain once it was inside the priory." He said as he recounts the story the Judge told them. The others agreed with him as the Hunter then questioned, "What if it never left?"

"That would explain the eerie atmosphere around the priory and why we've been sensing the darkest energy from this town." Duke said with Selina nodding in agreement.

"Well... ...Shit." Saint-Germain said. These were all very good, solid points they had brought up. The night creature had appeared before Sala and the rest of the monks that night, but...no one had ever said anything about it leaving or anything else about what happened to it. Perhaps there were a lot more to this than how it first appeared. Regardless, Saint-Germain had a goal in mind. He knew the portal was somewhere underneath the Priory, and he will find it despite the dangers that lie await.

Chapter 30: A Hopeful Dream For A Hopeful Future

Chapter Text

"Haha, Silvanus stay still." Hector said with a chuckle as he tries to sit down the greyish-purple eyed boy. But the young toddler was just overwhelmed with happiness and for good reasons. He had finally got to see his mother again, Lilith proved to be a good friend and the fact alone that Hector had called him his son. The little boy giggled as he sat down in front of him and Hector was finally able to tie the cloak around his shoulders. "There we go. That's a good boy." He says as he squishes his son's cheeks. Lilith had brought them all a fresh set of clothes and shoes, so Hector's never been more grateful to be clothed.

Lilith smiled as she watches the family laugh and enjoying the time they had before they would have to be separated for a moment. Even so, it warmed Lilith's heart to see them like this as it gave her the beloved memories of her own family. The times where she'd played with Noah when he was a child, sewing with granny and helping Noah's parents and older siblings in running their bakery business. Lilith's smile faltered a bit but then she quickly shook her head to clear her thoughts. "So, Leonora, Hector told me that Silvanus doesn't have any magic. Is that true?" She asks.

"That's what I believe. Children born into my clan developed a sense of magic when they are three, however, my child hasn't shown any signs of it. Silvanus might be a normal boy, but that means little to me." Leonora said as she brings Silvanus into a hug.

"I think that might be a good thing. I'm being kept alive so Carmilla could use me to create an army for her and she trapped you due to your fire magic. But for him to be a normal boy, he's only used a bargaining chip for now." Hector said.

"Hm, you might be right." Leonora said.

"Then he's safe for the most part, still we can't take too many risks with him. I'll do what I can to keep him safe even with that pendant around his neck protecting him." Lilith said. Then her head perked up and slowly turned to the dungeon doors. She heard faint footsteps and when taking one whiff, her eyes went wide and quickly stood back up. "It's Lenore. Quick, get it." Lilith says to the Gipsy woman as she held out the bottle. Leonora quickly places Silvanus into Hector's arms, giving each of them a kiss, before turning back to the young Vampiress and went back inside the bottle.

"Okay, give me the kid." Lilith said as she opens the cell door and Hector handed her the boy. Lilith shuts the cell door as quietly and quickly as she could and tells Hector to act naturally just as Lenore steps into the dungeon. "Oh, hello Lenore! Take a look, did I clean the puppies well enough?" She asks, going to her other persona. Lenore takes a look at Silvanus, who pretended to be asleep, and back at Hector. The ginger-red haired woman spread a smile and gave a round of applause.

"Well, look at them. Almost human." She said. Hector then pretended to struggle to even stand back up. Lilith and Leonora had been helping him regain strength in his muscles, but to avoid any suspicion, Lilith advised him to act as if he hadn't. Luckily for them, it was convincing enough as Lenore bought the act. "There, upright on your hind legs and everything." Lenore said.

"Hahaha! He's a cute puppy after a but of washing!" Lilith giggled. Hector lets out a grunt and staggered for a bit as he lets out a few breathes to ease his body. "Thank you. It's nice to be dressed again but..." Hector trailed off.

"But?"

"The thing about moving right now is that I think it'll feel nice when I stop doing it." Hector said.

"Oh. You didn't want to go for a walk then." Lenore said with a sly grin, surprising both Lilith and Hector when she said this. "What?" The Forgemaster asked.

"Well, I could hardly take you for a walk with your bits flapping around in the open air, could I? A bird might think your penis was a twig and fly off with it." Lenore said with a slight chuckle. Lilith turned her gaze away to roll her eyes, muttering very quietly under her breath, "Ugh, very funny whore." before giving an amused laugh.

Hector narrowed his eyes at that remark. "Yes, well..." He said, dryly.

"Oh come on. A little smile won't kill you." Lenore said. The Forgemaster stared at her for a moment before he gave a very small smile. It wasn't much, but it satisfied the ginger-red haired diplomat. "Good boy. Now then, would you like to go for a walk? Bit of fresh air in the starlight? You're more than welcome to take your son with you." Lenore asks him.

"I think I would, yes." Hector said.

"Good. Sadly, there's a condition." Lenore said as she lifted her hand to reveal a collar with a leash attached to it. Lilith glared at the object and Hector wasn't much happy with it either. Seems these Vampires are pretty intent on making him some kind of human pet. "Oh."

"Not my idea." Lenore said with a shrug of her shoulders. "Striga insisted. It should be quite comfortable, she just wanted a little extra security."

"You're 10x stronger than I am, Lenore." Hector stated.

"Striga pointed out that you're a magician and you do want to go for a walk, so, would you mind?" Lenore asks again as she holds the collar with her finger. Hector stares at the collar and knows he doesn't have much of a choice in this, so all he needed to do was just agree. Though he thought that being compliant might help him survive in the long run. He let out a sigh and reluctantly agrees. "Fine."

"Good boy. Walkies." Lenore said with a smile. Treating him no less than an animal she found and decided to keep. It took everything in Lilith lash out at her right now. The way these Vampires were treating humans disgusted her, it always disgusted her. Still, she repressed her anger and hatred for them inside and bear it. Soon. Someday soon, Lilith will slaughter them for everything that they've done. Lenore went over to Hector's cell and unlocked it, allowing Hector out and place the collar on him before the group headed out.

In the castle's courtyard, the group are enjoying their stroll despite the cold and lack of sunlight. Hector held Silvanus in his arms, trying to keep him warm from the chilly weather. Lenore let out a sigh in content as she looks up at the clear night sky. "Lovely night, don't you think?" Lenore asked.

"It's a bloody chilly night. It was warmer in my cell." Hector said as wraps his arms tighter around Silvanus as he felt a cold breeze blown in. The little boy let out a small whimper before snuggling into his father. Lilith gave the two a quick look of apology before smiling and saying, "Well that's because we channel waste heat around the castle with pipes, silly."

"Really? Even to the cells?" Hector asked.

"I keep telling you. We're not monsters." Lenore said.

"Dracula's castle moved heat around the pipes. Is that Vampire Magic?" Hector asked.

"Actually, just science. Centuries-old. The thing is, Hector, humans forget things and Vampires don't. You have a lot to learn." Lenore tells him.

"And will I get the chance to?"

"So dramatic. Relax and enjoy the night." Lenore said, motioning up at the billions of stars above. It was a lovely night. But it can be so cold at times, and so dark that you oftentimes can't see your own hand in front of your face. "Daylight can be nice too." Hector said.

"I'll take your word for it." Lenora said.

"You don't remember daylight."

"Never much cared for it, I was always a night person."

"You might be missing something, you know. Only coming out at night."

"Oh, I don't think so. Just look." Lenore says as she leads him to the balcony. There they viewed the snow-covered land of Styria, overseeing the castle grounds. The night only being with up by the moon and the stars above them. "I can't see how the sun would improve this view." Lenore says. Hector and Lilith shot each other a glance before going back to the view. The pale silver-grey haired man gave a small smile as he said, "Hm. Alright, I admit it. It's fantastic."

"See? It's not so bad here, is it?" Lenore asked him.

Hector's smile dropped and he reached up to grip his collar. "I can do without this." He said.

"Oh no, does it hurt?" Lilith asked.

"No. It just reminds me of the last time someone put a collar on me." Hector said.

"In Braila." Lenore stated.

"When Carmilla almost killed me." Hector said. She almost would've killed him if Leonora's magic hadn't stepped in to save him. Hector let out a dejected sigh. Even if Leonora had forgiven him and embraced their love for each other, Hector still felt so guilty over all this. If he had just listened to her and consider her concerns, then they wouldn't be here. But fortunately, they gained a trusted ally.

"Well, she does have a temper but she would never have meant to kill you." Lenore said, defending her elder sister's actions. Hector gave off a bitter laugh at that. "No. Because she needs me to be her Forgemaster slave." He said.

"No, because if she meant to kill you, you would quite simply be dead. And if she meant to torture you, you would've arrived here carrying your guts in both hands with a spike up your ass." Lenore said.

"I suppose that's true. I mean, I can see her doing it in nightmares and such." Hector said.

"She does have a temper, but she's logical. She never lets it run away with her to the point of, oh I don't know, condemning the entire human race to death?" Lenore said with a wave of her arms, giving the man a small smirk. "Just a recent example of what being genuinely insane with murderous rage looks like."

"Alright." Hector said firmly. Wanting this conversation to end.

"You and your family may not have been treated like kings on your way here, but you did show up alive." Lenore said as Hector leaned against the railing. "Might've been nice though." Hector said.

Lenore let out a humorous laugh. "Have you considered that you're only alive because you listened to Carmilla back in Dracula's castle?" She questioned.

"I hadn't. She tricked me."

"I don't think she did. I think she made complete sense to you and you felt guilty, understandably, about how it all played out."

"She made me betray Dracula." Hector said as his eyes narrowed at the memories that flashed through his mind.

"No, she didn't. She showed you the old man was insane and she saved you from the consequences." Lenore tells him as she steps towards him, placing a hand on his arm. As if to reassure him that his life will be better here. "Nobody here wants to harm you or your family. We just...don't quite trust you yet."

"Trust me?"

"You did try to hurt our baby sister, Hector." Lenore said. The Forgemaster looked over at Lilith and the young Vampiress gave a pout, letting a "Hmph!" before turning away. Still, the small glint in her eyes told him not to worry about it anymore.

Nearby, Striga and Carmilla are listening in to the duo's conversation from across the structure. "What she saying about me?" The white-haired Vampire asked.

"Lenore is saying you're a mean, nasty woman." Striga says with a playful smile.

"Cheeky little tart. Is it working?" Carmilla asks as she looks down at them, carefully eyeing if all was going according to plan. Striga leaned forwards a bit and smiled. "Seems to be. Wait." Striga says as she held up her hand to tell Carmilla to be quiet as she deciphers the duo's conversation. "Now he's complaining again about you and how you beat the shit out of him and locking his beloved away."

"Oh, for God's sake." Carmilla said, groaning out in annoyance.

"In hindsight, beating the shit out of him and sealing his lover away does seem like a miscalculation, since your scheme apparently won't work without him." Striga says, disagreeing with Carmilla's treatment of Hector. However, Carmilla still stands by it.

"He needed to be cowed. Lenore and Lilith would've had nothing to work with if he was still a happy idiot." Carmilla pointed out. Justifying that if she hadn't broken him, it would be impossible for Lenore to build him back up again.

"We do need the idiot, Carmilla." Striga says.

"I know, I know."

"But there is a problem." Striga said.

"What?"

"He can turn dead bodies into Night Creatures. We need Night Creatures soldiers to reinforce our military numbers."

"That's the plan, yes."

"Where do we get that many fresh dead bodies from? Without reducing our feeding stock to nothing?" Striga asks her.

"One thing at a time. Lenore and Lilith have to first solve this problem for us." Carmilla says as they watched their young sisters lead Hector back inside the castle. Soon, he'll be seduced into their schemes, he'll create an army for them, and just when he thinks he'll have his family back with him Carmilla would send Silvanus far away and murder Leonora right in front of him.

Back inside the castle, the Vampiresses brings Hector back down to the dungeons, however, when the man was about to walk back to his cell, Lilith stops him by tugging at his sleeve. "No, no, no. Not there. Come this way, boy." She says as she begins to walk down a different pathway. Hector followed as Lenore tugged at his leash and began walking. Instead of leading him to his cell and separating him from his son, the two brought him to a new one. His new prison quarter has a sheet and a pillow. But most importantly, a desk with a book.

"New cell." Lenore says as she opens the door. "You can have your child with you this time. In you go." Hector was a bit hesitant at first, but he slowly walks into the new cell. Carefully placing the toddler down, resting his head on the pillow before turning back to the Vampire sisters. "Is this a trick?" He questioned. "Am I dreaming?"

"We thought you might like to be able to read." Lenore said as the guard shuts the cell door and walks off to maintain his post. Lenore walks over to the bars and held out her hand. "Pass your lead through?" Hector held up the leash and went over to her. Handing over it to her so that she may take off the stupid collar around his neck. Lenore takes the leash but then grips it to pull Hector closer.

She reaches in to unbuckle the collar but before she leans in very close and staring at him with seductive eyes. Her red orbs burning into him like an alluring lover, so wrong but so right at the same time. Hector could do nothing but stand there and stare back at her. The collar slipped off his neck and Lenore leaned close to his face. "There, good boy." She said, her lips just a breath away from his. Finally, she steps back and says, "The book, by the way, is some of our Vampire Magic. Given your own profession, I had a feeling you might find it interesting."

"Thank you. Thank you very much." Hector said.

Lenore gave a charming smile while Lilith let out a bubbly giggle. "Can we come and see you tomorrow night?" The light-green eyed girl asked.

 "Yes. Uh, yes. Of course." Lenore said. "Good night. Dream well."

"Good night, puppy!" Lilith says as Lenore takes her hand and began walking out of the dungeon. Hector shook his head, shuddering in disgust at Lenore's actions and was about to turn in for the night when he heard fingers snapping. He turned around and saw Lilith running back to him. However, he quickly noticed that Lenore was frozen in place, unresponsive to anything going on. Hector went back to the bars and asked in slight confusion, "What's going on? What did you just do?"

"If there's one thing I'm better than anyone else is magic. This is just a bit of time magic." Lilith tells him.

"Time magic?" Hector asked, stunned. He had known about various types of magic in the world but from his and Leonora's understanding, the magic to wield time was impossible to even for the most powerful of all magicians. Human or Vampires. Lilith rubbed her head in embarrassment. "Y-yeah, hah, sorry, guess I should've mentioned that sooner. Magic has always been a big part of my family- my first Vampiric family - and through my studies, I can across this one in particular. It's not that perfect and the hold it has on everyone will disappear soon, but it does offer enough for me to do this."

Lilith reached into her pocket and held up Leonora's bottle. She then brought up her other hand and closed her eyes. She began to mumble something. Hector's eyes slightly widened when he saw her conjure up a replica of the bottle, even creating a tiny life-like doll of the Gipsy woman inside. Lilith place the copy back into her pocket and handed Hector the real one.

Hector smiled warmly as he held it close to him. "Thank you. For everything you're doing." He tells her. Lilith just shook her head and smiled at him. "Hey, don't mention it. You and Leonora can spend as much time as you want right now, but remember by the time the sun rises, she has to go back into the bottle and she'll be sent back to me. She knows this but, I still want to guys to stay connected." Lilith said.

"Do you remember daylight?" Hector asked.

"Forevermore. Sure, I'll admit being a Vampire has its perks but...I'm envious of those who can walk and bask in the sunlight. Feel the warmth of the day on their faces. The closest thing I ever got to that feeling was sitting close to a ray of sunlight get that warmth that way." Lilith said with a sad smile.

"You envy us humans." Hector commented. A bit amused that a Vampire would find something to feel jealous towards humans, but that only served his curiosity about her all the more. Who was she really? Why is she so devoted to saving him and his family? Why does she seem more trustworthy than the others?

"It's silly isn't? But yes, I do. Other Vampires might see humans as either livestock or an inferior species, but I don't think so. True, human bodies don't necessarily have the physical ability of a Vampire but humans possess something that Vampires don't." Lilith said.

"And that is?"

"Compassion. Kindness. There's more, but those two factors are the ones that most Vampires lack. They allow you to empathise with others, to be generous, to putting strife aside and be accepting to others by having an open mind and motivates to fight your damn hardest when someone you care about is involved. And that's exactly what Leonora did for you and what you did to me when you thought she was in danger." Lilith said.

Hector was stunned by this point. He didn't know what to say. This girl has lived for centuries in darkness, yet she desires to live as a human and is willing to risk everything to protect him and his family. And she means it to. She truly does love humans. So if that's the case, what exactly is her plan? "I know you want to destroy Carmilla and her council, but let's say we win. What then? What are you going to do?"

"Since I'm Carmilla's protégée, I'm certain she wants me to be the Vampire Princess of Styria, even though I will be the one who kills her, it will only serve to be proof that I am stronger than she is or ever will be. I'll take control as she wanted me to, but it'll be done in my way. I want to create a better world for both human and Vampires." Lilith said.

"You're planning to create a union?" Hector asked, surprised.

"I believe that we can all co-exist together. Sure it's not going to be easy and not everyone is going to be as enthusiastic about it as I am, but it's still my dream to see it through. It's one of the few things I have that still gives me hope that this world can be better." Lilith said.

"Hope..." Hector said, softly to himself.

Lilith gave a smile and took a step back. "Well, I have to get back into my routine. The magic is gonna wear off soon. I'll see you later, and don't open that bottle until Lenore and I are gone." She said as she ran back towards the red-eyed Vampiress and held her hand just as time began to flow once more. Almost immediately, Lenore smiled down at her as the two left the dungeon. When the doors closed behind them, Hector turned and sat down in his makeshift bed and opened the bottle. Flames erupted from the bottle and he gladly welcomed the warm embrace of his beloved.

"I'm worried about that girl." Leonora says as she pulls and sits beside him.

"You are?" Hector asked.

"Unlike Carmilla and her sisters, I do not sense any evil from her and she has a genuine heart. She truly desires a better future for this world." Leonora said.

"She's taking a lot of risks, but you're right. She wouldn't be doing any of this if she's getting anything out of it. I wonder if she'll able to achieve that dream of hers." Hector said.

"Let us be happy that she's aware that achieving such a goal might be difficult to accomplish. But I think she'll do it." Leonora said as she rested her head on his shoulder. Hector smiled at her and leaned into her. They held each other’s hand, lacing their fingers together and sat in comfortable silence. Lilith's dream is what brings her hope, huh? That reminded Hector of his own desire. Before being forced to come here, there was one thing Hector wanted. One that gave him a sense of hope as well. He looked over at his small family and decided that this might be a good time to talk about it.

"Leonora? Do you miss how we used to live? Before Dracula appeared?" Hector asked.

"I do miss our home, but I felt such sympathy for Lord Dracula that I can understand why you decided to help him. Even though I resent the idea of a massacre." Leonora said.

"I know, and I should’ve listened to you from the start. But...if we manage to win and ensure our freedom. Would you be willing to start over and live on as a family again?" Hector asked, praying that she would. He felt her laugh a bit and said, "I like to live in a simple, but nice home. Somewhere in a forest but still close enough where we can go and get supplies and other necessities."

"We can start a garden and grow all sorts of flowers and herbs to sell. Silvanus can grow up and make friends with other children. He'll be free and run with all his strength."

"But before that, we can have a small ceremony, just the two of us, where we can be bound my marriage."

"We will be properly married, be a happy family once more and...." Hector trailed off as he turned his head to Silvanus, who was already in a deep sleep. He loved Silvanus, truly he did, but he thought about how he would feel if he didn't have anyone else to play with. If he and Leonora were too busy and if the other children were off doing something else.

"And?" Leonora asked.

"Leonora, I love you. And I love Silvanus enough to call him my son...and since we're going to be properly married...well..." He said, stammering a bit.

"Hector, my dearest, please tell me what's on your mind." She gently urged.

"I was wondering if we.... if someday we could give Silvanus a little brother or sister to play with." Hector said, looking right at her to let her know that he was serious. Leonora was surprised by that. Clearly, she didn't expect him to say something like that, but she smiled. Tears forming in her eyes as she embraced him. "That's a beautiful dream you have, Hector."

"It's our dream." Hector said as he wrapped his arms around her. "And it will come true, I promise. It will become a reality for the future. We just have to have hope. That's all."

Chapter 31: Nightmares and The Philosopher

Chapter Text

*Lindenfeld*

It was nighttime in the town of Lindenfeld and all was still quiet, save for the few animals and insects who were more active at night. Within their lodgings, Trevor and Sypha lay in bed together with a large candle that was lit up nearby. After the day they had, they had a lot to think about. "What did you make of him?" Sypha asked.

"Saint-Germain or Vano? I'm not sure I trust him as far as I could kick him, but he's not how I thought he was on first impression. Vano, on the other hand, I'm not sure what to make of him. I'm still trying to process that he's Miri's father, but there's something about him I can't distrust." Trevor said.

"He's sad. They both are." Sypha said, looking up at her lover.

"Yeah. He's also a confidence man." Trevor said, referring to Saint-Germain.

"But he dropped that with us." Sypha pointed out.

"Yeah, he did."

"That bothers you?"

"A little. But you know what really bothers me?" Trevor asks.

"What?"

"That maybe he's been on his own for so long that he was willing to drop the front that quickly because he had desperately needed friends." Trevor said.

"He's that sad. That alone. Suffering under that loss." Sypha says.

"Hm. Remind you of someone?" Trevor asked. Thinking of a certain blond-haired Dhampire who loved to get under his skin.

"That's such a depressing thought." Sypha said as she moved so that she was laying on top of Trevor, staring up into his eyes. "Do you think she's taking good care of him?"

"If we know her as well as we do, I'm sure she's doing just fine." Trevor said. Sypha gave a small smile as she remembers her dear friends before saying, "I think we should help him." Trevor raised his hand and used his finger to brush away some hair from her face. "Of course you do."

"It's the right thing to do, Vano also deserves to know his daughter's alive and well, and we may need their help." Sypha tells him.

"Did we fall out of our story into someone else's story, again?" Trevor asked with a small smile. Sypha smiled back at him. "Silly. It's all our story." She said.

"I hope I get to live long enough to find out how it ends." Trevor says. As the duo decides to help Saint Germain in his quest they remained unaware of what was lurking underneath their window. Or rather, who was lurking about. A monk from the priory stood underneath the duo's window as he looked over his shoulder. He had his hood up as he did not want to be seen by anyone. He had a knife with him and he used it to edge the ominous symbol of Saturn on the building's wall. Once he was done, he silently made his escape.

Meanwhile, another monk was making his way to the gipsy's camp that was in the forest of Lindenfeld. He hid between the tree and peek out to see if there was anyone standing guard or if anyone was still awake. When all he saw was a couple of small lanterns lit up outside their tents, he stepped out into the open. He made sure he kept quiet as he arrived at the entryway of the camp. He grabbed his knife to edge the same symbol on the ground, but as soon as the blade touched the earth, a surge of magic erupted and slashed the man's arm.

He let out a yell as the magic tore into his skin and began to electrocute him. Unable to take the pain, the monk stood back up and immediately ran away from the camp. Dropping the knife in the progress. Black ghost-like hands appeared from the tree branches, grabbed the knife and vanished. Only for them to reappear in Vano's tent. The hulking man simply raised his hand and took the knife from the ghostly limb. He narrowed his eyes at the blade and used his fire to melt the blade into a worthless puddle.

"My dream? What is troubling you?" A soft-spoken voice asked. Vano turned and saw his wife, Mercy staring up at him with concerned filled-eyes. The flames must've woken her up, he mused. Vano held his head and let out a tired sigh. "The evil lingering with the monastery has is expanding. One of the monks had attempted to write something in our campground. We have to do something. If what grandmother Clementina says is genuine, then this town is in more danger than we originally believed." Vano tells her.

"Then we shall. We should help Sir Saint-Germain. Maybe helping him discover what the monks wish to keep secret might aid us in saving this town." Mercy said, sitting up and reaching over to cup her husband's cheek. Vano gave a small nod and agreed with her. They had felt something amiss in Lindenfeld and upon arrival, grandmother Clementina had a vision. They were only small flashes of the symbols they found, but after spending some time, the old woman saw visions of raging flames, blood, screaming and many demons. But that was all she could see.

"You're right. I want to go and aid him, but I'm also worried about our family. What if the vision she saw comes sooner than we realised? I must stay here or at least acquire a second in command just in case." Vano said as he thought about what he should do. After that night five years ago, Vano knew that he couldn't let that happen again. He informed his people that if anyone threatens them or their family, then to use their magic to defend themselves. But not to kill. That was the only law they had to obey.

"We've all undergone earnest training since that night, I'm sure you'll find someone to hold out for defensive. But perhaps I can make a suggestion?" Mercy asked.

"Of course, you can." Vano said.

"Amongst the few children we have, Duke and Selina are the strongest pair we have. They possess amazing physical strength and they're intelligent children. Allow them to join in the investigation and entrust them in stopping whatever it is the monastery has planned and come to defend our family and this town." Mercy says. "Sir Belmont is here in Lindenfeld, right? I have no doubt he would keep them safe."

"I know he will. There's nothing in his soul that suggests otherwise...he's trustworthy. But..." Vano said as he begins to trail off.

"But?" Mercy gently urged.

"Duke and Selina had informed me that he had met one of our own. I don't know if this gipsy girl was a sister...or our child." Vano said as he covered his face into the palm of his hand. His body shook as he took in a deep breath. Mercy's face fell as she gently gave him a loving hug. "We had to send so many children away from that night. None of us knows where they are...what are the odds that our child was the one Belmont met?" His body shook again as he shook his head. Every night memories of his precious daughter tore at his soul

The moment where he had no choice but to transport her away, just so that she may live, broke Vano's heart and scarred him. There wasn't a night he was able to sleep through as he thought about his little Miri. That sweet and kindhearted little girl who loved to play and sing songs. But even after five years, they and the rest of the remaining member never forgotten the lost children.

Every night, without fail, they would create lanterns and release them in memory of them, hoping that at least one of them would find them and follow them back home. Through all that time, they never lost hope. And while two to four children had been found, none of them saw Miri. After five years of not finding her and suffering in silence without his daughter, Vano vowed to himself and Mercy that if they ever find her he would never let her be hurt again.

"I know. I miss her too. Vano, darling, we may not know if Sir Belmont had met our Miri, but all we have to do is ask. Only then shall we find our answer." Mercy tells him.

Vano lifted his head and took in a deep breath. After letting out a long exhale, he turned to his wife and gave a ghost of a smile. "Yes. You're right." He said. Mercy smiled at him and gave him a sweet kiss to his temple. She brushed away from hair and said, "Sleep, love. Tomorrow, the sun shall rise again." Vano nodded with a small smile and he and his wife laid back down, falling quickly asleep.

Elsewhere in their camp, Saint-Germain slept alone in his tent. However, he did not sleep as peacefully as many of the others did. Instead of peaceful dreams or simple nothingness, Saint-Germain was plagued by a terrible nightmare. Mumbling in his sleep and began to toss and turn. "No... This is wrong... We... We shouldn't be...here." Saint-Germain mumbled to himself.

Within his nightmare, he was suspended in mid-air for a moment. Before he let out a horrified scream as he falls into an endless pit with vibrant colours and lightning splashing all around him. There was nothing for him to grab onto to stop his fall, he kept on screaming as the sheer forceful energy he was in seeped its way into his brain. Eventually, Saint-Germain lands on the ground and a high-pitched sound covered the dimension he's in.

With no other choice, Saint-Germain walked deeper into the void. Not that he wanted to, but because someone he cherished most was in here, lost and alone. "Where are you?!" He called out when suddenly, the savanna grasslands appear before him. It appeared to be daytime with the sun just above the lone tree. It seemed peaceful enough, however, he noticed something moving in the distance. As he took a closer look, his eyes widened when he saw a giant mechanical creature appeared before him. Whatever it was, whatever it might've been, it didn't seem to care about him as it simple walked past him. As quickly as it came, it vanishes.

"Are you still here?!" Saint-Germain called as he continued to try and find him cherished person. He needed to locate them. He needed to get them out of here and go back home. Saint-Germain walked further into the void when more dimensions start to pop up. His mind couldn't handle this. It could barely process what he was seeing. Many images flashed before him. Ancient civilisations and inhabitants, space ships floating above treelines. He then felt droplets of rain hitting the side of his face, and he turned to see another dimension that showed the Australian outback come into vision.

It looked to be nighttime and a single man with dark skin and wild grey hair stood there with his back turn to him. He appeared to be a member of a tribe as he wore a grass skirt, a headdress, and white patterns on his shoulders, arms, torso, and legs. He standing in the middle of a supposed rainstorm. The man turned to him. Saint-Germain could have sworn he was looking right at him. His bloodshot eyes would never leave him. The man narrowed his eyes and used a special item he held in his hand and spun it in circles. As if he were performing some type of ritual. Saint-Germain could only stare in silence as the portal closed up.

"Please!! Tell me where you are!!" Saint-Germain begged. He couldn't take it anymore. He wanted to leave this place and never come back, however, he'd never want to leave without his cherished person. Then another aspect opened up. This one was different in comparison with the others. It looked to be a massive twisted library. Shifting and warping. Deconstructing and reconstruct itself into many forms with an infinite amount of stairs. He looked around the portal when finally. He saw them.

He saw her. He found her.

Standing at the centre was a woman. He didn't know if she was scared or worried or what, but he knew that she wanted to leave this place. Without wasting another second, Saint Germain stretches out his hand for the woman to take. "Take my hand!!" He shouted. The woman stretched out her hand to try and reach him. They were close, they were just mere inches away. But in the last second, she denies it. "Please!" Saint-Germain begged her.

The woman denied his hand, but reached into herself and throws him a crystal instead just as the portal closed. It was the same one he had used to venture down into the priory. Saint-Germain held the crystal close to him as a second portal appeared below his feet. The high-pitched sound pierced his ears as he fell once more with a look of terror in his face.

At that moment, Saint-Germain woke up from his nightmare with a jolt. Breathing heavily as cold sweat slid down his face. After catching his breath, Saint-Germain covered his face and sighed. "Oh, God... I'm sure there must've been a time when I had nice dreams. Maybe when I lived in palaces and mansions. Or maybe not." Saint-Germain said to himself as he reaches for his bag. Opening it to take out a triangular journal. "That was all stress. Doing my little dance for coins, making sure I had enough for the next months, the next year. Never bloody easy was it?" He snapped his fingers and a small ball of light appeared above him. He took out a pen and began to write.

"And then...there was you. Did I dream when you were here? I don't know. I was too focused on our daylight hours. I never wanted to sleep in those days. And now, here I am again. Never wanting to sleep. Not until I find you. Not until I live in the good dream again. Not until you're back."

Elsewhere, somewhere outside of Genoa.

Isaac was sitting near a campfire surrounded by night creatures, in a wasteland with the starry night sky looming above him. Resting beside him, using his cloak as a blanket, was the little orphan girl he rescued. Before leaving Genoa, Issac picked up some fresh clothes and a new ribbon for the girl. Wherever they end up next, she'll be free to change. Isaac watched her sleep for a moment, a bit amazed that she could sleep with all his night creatures around. He figured that small child like her would be terrified. But he figured that the life she lived before might've been more so. He doesn't know what she thought. In fact, Isaac hadn't once heard her speak. He didn't even know her name. Not that she didn't want to tell him...but as if she could no longer remember her own name.

Even now, Isaac had no idea why he had decided to rescue this child and bring her along with him. Why had he made that choice? Was his talk with the Captain made an impact on him? It must've. Still, the child wasn't afraid of him as she did take his hand so that made things less difficult, but not less awkward. Isaac didn't know how to deal with children. He had just taken in this girl and already he had no idea on what do to do. After much thinking, Isaac decided to just take things slow. Think of a name and let things come as they are. Isaac readjusted the cloak for her and gave her a tiny pat on her head. Maybe...maybe this wouldn't be so bad. Maybe this little girl could help teach him and show him human kindness. The kind that makes humanity beautiful.

Isaac let out a small sigh and, without lifting his head, called out to the crowd of night creatures, "Where is the one who can talk well? The one with the eyes, I made in Genoa." He waited for a moment and then one of his creatures, an insect-like demon with eyes like a fly, walked up to him. "You mean me?" He asked.

"I do. Sit with me a moment." Isaac said, offering him a spot by the fire. FlysEyes sat down and asks his master, "What do you wish?"

"I was curious. The night is long and I've been given much to think about of late. May I ask a question of you?" Isaac said.

"Of course."

"Do you remember who you were? Before you went to Hell?" Issac asked. Wanting to know if the creature remembers his previous life before he became FlysEyes. He does.

"I almost do. It's like...I remember how it was to dream and to remember moments of the dream, but never the entire play. Do you see?" FlysEyes asked.

"I do. What do you remember?"

"I was a scholar."

"Really?"

"I was. In a place called, Athens. I think it was a long time ago." FlysEyes said.

"What did you study?" Isaac asked.

"I was a philosopher.

"And this was a thing that sent you to Hell?"

"I lived as a man during a time when the empire that ruled Athens changed its religion and laws. I believed philosophy to be the study of the system of the world and our purpose in it. And yet discussion of the nature or of the divine became a crime." FlysEyes said.

"Who declared this a crime?" Isaac asked him.

"Christians." The night creature responded. "To be a philosopher was a sin. And one important Christian was heard to say that the people should hunt down sinners and drive them into salvation, as a hunter drives its prey into traps."

"To think about God but surely not be a sin in God's eyes." Isaac stated.

"Perhaps, and yet, here I am." FlysEyes pointed out.

"And perhaps you have not told me all of your dream." Isaac said.

"I was betrayed, Forgemaster. I was hunted. I was tortured. I lied for my life in a church before a judge. I gave up others so that I may live. I became a sinner."

"And?"

"And they killed me anyway. I woke up in Hell because this world is insane and I learned something about sin." FlysEyes said.

"What did you learn?" Isaac asked, leaning in a bit. To hear his answer carefully.

"I learned to like it. Yet here I am, back on the surface of the Earth... strong and free, in a world where thinking is considered something that should be tortured and murdered. Thank you for my second life." FlysEyes said, crawling closer to Isaac so that he may look at him directly in the eye. Thankful, grateful for Issac for bringing him back from the dead. "I intend to use it well and make wonderful new dreams of it." Though Isaac was the one who initiated the questioning, a look of remorse began to form on Isaac's face. And he reached out to hold the little girl's hand.

Chapter 32: Worse Things Than Betrayal

Chapter Text

*In the forest nearby Dracula's Castle*

It was still early morning as Alucard and Miri walk out of the castle, each carrying a backpack with Sumi and Taka following close behind, albeit slightly sluggishly as the expert archer let out an exhausted yawn. "I thought we were going to look at the rest of the armoury today. If it is, in fact, today." Taka said, his voice a little groggy.

"Taka isn't good at mornings, and this is some extra morning." Sumi said as she takes a look up at the sky. It was in the very brink of dawn. No longer night but not yet near morning. "It is so much morning that it's actually still yesterday." Taka said.

"Well, you shouldn't have stayed up so late exploring the castle." Alucard tells them, lightly scolding them as Miri giggles at them. Sumi and Taka were tired from staying up late exploring the castle and their curiosity leads them to explore the engine that moved it. "We wanted to see the engine that moved the castle. Can it ever be fixed." Sumi asks them with a tilt of her head.

"Maybe. But it will take a very long time and there are things to do. Follow me." Alucard says as he takes a left turn. Sumi and Taka glance at each other before following the two to the remains of the Belmont Household. "What could be more important than that?" Taka asked.

"So many things. You will soon see that." Miri said, reassuring the Japanese hunters with a smile.

"We're not going anywhere, Taka. The castle's moved for the last time, Miri and I have places to guard." Alucard said as they stepped onto a platform hovering way above ground level the bottom of the Hold. Because the staircases were destroyed, Alucard made a small adjustment to travelling up and down and built a balanced elevator. A large weight was tied to the other end of the rope that the platform was tied with. Alucard unties the rope that was connected the walkway and once he lowers the beam, the platform begins to lower to the bottom of the former stairway. Sumi and Taka were getting rather invested in what they slowly descend down, no doubt wondering what exactly Alucard intends to show them.

The blond-haired man smiled at them as he turns to look at the painting of Leon Belmont. It was still a wonder that painting was the only one in this destructed stairway that was left untouched. Soon the platform reached ground level and the young gipsy girl lifted up the beam and steps off. She walked over to another beam with a metal lock and lowered to seal the platform in place. When the elevator was secured the four went to the entrance of the Hold and were greeted by darkness. Alucard places his backpack down and went over to a lever that was next to the door. He pulled it down and lights began to flicker on, lighting up the Belmont Hold. A bit of an upgrade to the torches when they were first here.

Much like Miri, although with more control, Sumi and Taka smiled happily at each other before running to see the whole view of the Hold, having never seen anything like it before. Sumi was quite interesting in the lights that lined the walls. "Magic lanterns." She said.

"Lightning. Not magic." Alucard said.

"You put lightning into lamps and you tell us it's not magic?" Taka asks.

"It's really not. It's an ancient science, a fascinating tale." Miri says.

"The Parthian's were storing lightning in jars 200 years before Christ." Alucard explains before moving his arm to show his two Students the expansion of the Hold. "This is the Belmont Hold. The final repository of a family who spent generations learning how to do one thing: kill monsters. Including Vampires." Alucard said, his eyes narrowing a bit. Miri glanced up at her beloved with concern. She could sense that he still felt a bit uneasy being down here, not that she could possibly blame him. She was still saddened to see the skulls of the Vampires who were slain on display, but Miri couldn't exactly give them a proper burial as it would, in turn, meddle in the family's affairs and she had no right to do so.

"Shall we?" Alucard said. He offered his arm to Miri and the two walked down the stairs with their students following them. "You want to learn everything about killing Vampires, the Belmonts made it their lives and they wrote it all down." Alucard tells them. "Do you understand the anatomy of a Vampire?"

"You put a stabby thing into the heart and they go boom." Taka said, in a rather half-assed explanation. Miri let out a giggle as she turns to the young man. "It's a little more intricate than that, but that is a good start nonetheless." She said.

"What about people?" Sumi asked. That question caught Miri off-guard as she almost stopped in her tracks. She looked back at Sumi with worry in her eyes. Why....why would she ask something like that? "I'm fairly sure you know how to kill people." Alucard said. He took noticed of Miri's concern and reached up to grasp at her hand. "Chō had many human warriors slaves. Maybe more than we can take on our own." Sumi explained.

"Well, we can look at tactics." Alucard said.

"And the lightning lamps? Can lightning be a weapon too? Could you make lightning kill a lot of people at once?" Taka asks, inquisitive. Alucard and Miri stopped walking as they turned to their students. "Let's start small, shall we?" Alucard said, making it very clear that the duo must first start small. "I can understand your concerns about how your former captor's human warriors, however, I sincerely hope you will learn that there is no need to take a human life other than rendering them unconscious." Miri tells them with a soft tone as they continued down the stairs.

"Of course, we are just worried about a lot of things. You and Miri are being incredibly kind and we are very grateful." Sumi said. She was starting to feel a little guilty when bringing up humans. Seeing that pleading expression in her face told her that they shouldn't have brought it up. "I know you're worried." Alucard said in understanding. He wrapped an arm around Miri as he turned to Taka with a saddened look. "Taka, you need to understand that I'm not just passing on ways to murder people."

"I do, it's just that the odds are so stacked against us. I can't sleep. That's why I was wandering around the castle all night, Sumi was just keeping me company." Taka said.

"Alright. Alright, but you do need to understand. I'm sharing all this with you so that you remember it and pass it on. Not just the war-making. Everything. I think Trevor Belmont would like the idea of equipping a new generation of monster hunters." Alucard said as he gives a smile to Miri, who returns it as they look at the Hold. If he were here with them, they were sure Trevor would very much agree to train new hunters to protect this world from the night and reinforced hope back to its people.

Alucard leads Sumi and Taka through the vast library and explained the troves, secrets and books that were continued in the Belmont Hold. However, as he was guiding them, Miri fell back. She slowed down until the three were far ahead of her and rounded a corner before turning and running through an aisle. Trailing her hand across the books and eyeing each one of them. "I know I saw that book around here somewhere, but where is it?" She softly asked herself as she searches actively for that one precise book while constantly looking over her shoulder and using her senses to make sure she was alone for the moment. She can't let anyone know.

Miri had barely managed to hide it Sumi, and there was no doubt that she was getting a little suspicious of her. Still, she seemed to have forgotten it as she hasn't mentioned it. At least she hoped so. But the one thing she was most worried about was her dearest Adrian finding out. She knows that she couldn't keep it a secret forever, but he mustn't know.

Not yet. Not until everything was ready.

Only then would she be able to tell him everything that she's been keeping from him. She only prayed to God that he wouldn't get upset with her. 'My eternal love...I hope you will forgive me.' She thought to herself. Eventually, she found the book she had been searching for and stuffs it into her bag before putting it back on and quickly ran back to the group before they noticed she was gone.

*Lindenfeld*

The marketplace was a still and quiet, as it was turning into a slow day as people hadn't come by to buy out any new products from the merchants. Still, the merchants continued on their day, selling, restocking and taking items with them to sell in the streets. While buying apples and cloths, a few hooded gipsies quietly chatted about their leader potentially choosing a second in command.

"If the chief is looking for a second in command, does that mean the danger is approaching nearer than we anticipated?" Everilda asked.

"That might be a possibility, and yet also the exact truth. Grandmother Clementina hasn't gained other visions but the aura we feel in this town has been increasing." A young man said.

"I'm worried. What's going to happen to these poor people here?" An older woman asked, gazing at the citizens of Lindenfeld with worry-filled eyes.

"Choas and the disruption of harmony if Grandmother's visions are accurate. However, we all must be vigilant. I'm certain the chief would want all of us to defend this town and its people. However, there's another thing I'm concerned for." The young man said.

"Are you referring to that tree in the far woods?" Everilda asked. "My young brother and sister have approached it once and felt a great disturbance from it. Lady Mercy felt it as well when she and our other sister went scavenging."

"Indeed. While we're aware that the church is hiding a dark mystery, it's unnerving that a single tree would emit such malice." He said. Their conversation was cut short when a little boy came running past them, smiling and laughing as he ran through the market place. Running past the other merchants. Though the townsfolk were a bit bothered by the boy's wild sprinting, the three gipsies smiled warmly at the young boy. Seeing the joyful face on an innocent child made them feel at ease despite the anomaly they've been sensing.

The boy ran through the street, smiling as he glanced over at a merchant woman who was stocking apples when he heard a voice that made him quickly stop in his tracks. "No running!" The boy looked up in slight shock at The Judge. He had his arms crossed and looked down at the boy in scorn. "I've told you a thousand times I won't have children running like wild dogs through my town and I told you, in particular, twenty times, haven't I? Haven't I, boy?" He harshly scolded the boy. The brown-haired boy hung his head and looked away in shame. He didn't mean to upset The Judge. He just wanted to have fun.

The Judge looked over and saw the merchant woman restocking her stall with fresh apples and looked down at the boy again. He kneeled to the boy's height and asked, "And you're here first thing in the morning because you like the freshest apples, aren't you?" The boy nodded his head. "Hm. I thought so." The Judge said. A smile then crept on his face as he whispered. "Would you like to know a secret?" The boy blinked in surprise before smiling and nodded his head. "If you go into the woods, through the backfield, and follow the path into the fog, you go down the way with a big tree that you will say looks like an angry face, then you over the creek, past the point the way your parents say you shouldn't go, right?"

The boy nodded his head again, feeling a bit excited about the adventure he was being given.

"I happen to know there's an apple in the clearing after that." The Judge said. Hearing that, instantly caught the attention of the three gipsies standing by. "It's my apple tree and nobody's allowed to go there. So, if you promise not to tell a soul where you're going," The Judge says as the boy happily nods his head. "Go get yourself three apples." With that, the boy turned and headed off into the direction The Judge told him to go. "And no more running." He said, sighing as he watches the boy take a turn and was out of sight.

The boy ran past the gipsies once more and without saying a word, Everilda handed her supplies to her fellow sister and ran to follow the boy. The young man and woman didn't say anything but they knew why she was chasing after him. The boy looked to be around the same age as her siblings, if not younger, and it was her sister's instincts to make sure that boy would be alright. Especially since he was told to go so far deep into the woods. The two pulled their hoods lower as they gathered their things and left.

The Judge shook his head to ease his mind as he continues to go inspect the town, making sure everything was as it seems. He stops when he spots Saint-Germain's walks. "You're up early." He says.

"Lots to do, probably not enough time to do it." Saint-Germain said as he walks past The Judge, not really interested to have a conversation with the man.

"I'm told you were drinking with Belnades, Belmont, Vano and those mirror-like children yesterday." The Judge said, inquiring about his drinking mates. However, the aristocrat quickly dismisses him with some witty remark. "I am extremely famous and they wanted to meet someone who'd seen toilet paper."

"What the fuck is toilet paper?" The Judge questioned.

"It's Chinese. Good morning, Judge." Saint-Germain said as he walks away from The Judge with a lazy wave of his hand. "Toilet paper..." The Judge muttered under his breath as he shooked his head and walked off, having no time to deal with such nonsense. Besides, that man has always been strange and absurd.

Saint-Germain heads back to the church, banging his fist against the door and waited to be let in. He waited for a moment before a monk comes to the door. He and Saint-Germain gave each other a stare before letting him inside. Saint-Germain heads over to the church's "library", hoping to find some new leads. He searched through and tossed away one useless book after another when his eyes fell upon an unusual book. The covers were of a different material. More...leathery and was stitched together, and there was a sizable handprint of a grown adult.

This captures Saint-Germain's curiosity quick and upon opening the book. Whoever had written the book had filled it with countless pictures of monsters. "Not an obvious thing to find in a church." Saint-Germain says as he flips through the pages. He narrows his eyes at the book because he what catches his attention are the missing sections. If he hadn't known better, he would've assumed that it must've been torn by mistake. But there were clean cuts. Someone had the urge to tear out these pages. But why? What's more the colour of the tears and the pages don't match.

As questions begin to fill his head, he turns and saw Sala walking by with a few of his men and approaches him to get some answers. "Prior Sala. Prior Sala." He called out to the twisted man. Sala turns to see the aristocrat and was...less than enthusiastic to see him again. "Oh, good. Saint-Germain."

"A question, Prior."

"We are quite busy this morning I've afraid." Sala says dismissively as he and his monks proceed to walk away. "Uh, th-this book. Do you recognise it?" Saint-Germain asks as he shows the Prior the leather-bound book. There was a pause as Sala looks at the book and says, "I don't." Thinking that was it, he tries to leave again.

"Really? Because it's an unusual book to find in a church." Saint-Germain said.

"All priories are known to find themselves storing old and unusual books." Sala said.

"Indeed so, but someone recently read this book, Sala. After which they tore a section out." Saint-Germain said as he opened the book to show him the torn out pages.

"Hmm, many of these books are damaged. I don't see why this should excite you so." The monk said, dismissing the missing pages for the book getting damaged throughout the years.

"Because the tears haven't yellowed, Sala. The section was removed within the last few months. The soot on the edges is still loose, and," Saint Germain retorted. Pausing for a brief moment as he flips the book to gaze at the handprint. "And I wonder who selected this book from your collection." Sala stayed quiet as he glanced over to his monks. He then turns back to the aristocrat and tries to think nothing of it. "I failed to see why this should interest me."

"Because the missing section involves methods and processes for returning people from Hell." Saint-Germain said.

"Perhaps someone simply pulled out those pages to wipe their backsides with." Sala says, once again dismisses the aristocrat's suspicions but this time with a witty remark about toilet paper. "I understand that they use paper for that in the orient." Saint Germain pinches the bridge of his nose and lets out an annoyed groan. Saint-Germain overlooks Sala's ignorance and pointed out, "This book was written by a Forgemaster some 200 years ago - an insane Forgemaster who did not practice in the usual way."

"Is there any mention of Dracula?" Sala asked.

"No, but you missed the point!"

"Then you had better get back to work." Sala says as he dismisses the aristocrat once again and walks away with his monks following him close behind. The missing pages along with the secret beneath the church, along with the fact he is one step away from discovering the Infinite Corridor, Saint-Germain's worry for the future had risen. "Sala!" He called out loudly. Gaining the monk's attention. "You told me not to treat you as if you were mad...." The monk turns to give him a stare. "Do not disappoint me." Saint-Germain said. Once he made his peace, Sala turns away with his monks, leaving the aristocrat with many questions still unanswered. Just what exactly is going to happen?

*Two weeks march from Styria*

Isaac, his tiny companion and his army of night creatures arrive at a town, however, he quickly takes notice of the eerie stillness and silence of the town. He pulls down his hood and looks around. There were no people, the homes were empty and dark, nothing to give a sign of life. Could this be an abandoned town? He thought. However, it isn't as deserted as he had initially believed. Isaac turns a corner and quickly halts his army when he notices older-looking woman sitting on a rocking chair, having a smoke.

Isaac raises his guard. He takes a quickly glace and sees the little girl's face. He had her hide under his cloak, with her being so small, it was easy to keep any prying eyes off her. Isaac then motions his demonic horse to move on and stops when he's in front of the woman. The woman didn't appear to react to him at all and when Isaac looked at her eyes, he could tell she was blind. The woman smiled and raised her hand. "Good morning, Sir Forgemaster."

"You know me." Isaac stated.

"I smell you." She clarified with a smile. "You'll find no fresh bodies to kill and forge here." She warns him.

"You're alone here." He says as he looks around.

"Entirely."

Seeing that she wasn't a threat, Isaac mounts off his horse and helps the little girl down. Holding her hand as they walk towards the blind woman. "It's not every day you see a one-person village." Isaac said.

"Once upon a time, you may have found overfull. Ten people to a house, screaming kids everywhere, it was teeming. Honestly, sometimes, I like it a little better now." The blind woman explains.

"Did you do this?" Isaac asked.

The blind woman chuckled with amusement. "Oh no. Oh, God, no. Quite outside my powers. There's a town thirty miles up the road, well....more of a prison, really."

"Since that is the direction I'm headed. Perhaps you give a traveller and fellow practitioner a friendly. warning?" Isaac asks her. The woman stays silent for a moment before lifting her head, looking surprised and asking, "You can smell me too?"

"I see you." Isaac clarified. The older woman then rises from her rocking chair and blindly gazes at the Forgemaster. "The town is run by a magician. He has dreams of a city. A slave population to built it. So he swept up the surrounding villages, cooked their souls down to ash, turned them into ants. Make them eat shit and stack bricks." She tells them.

"But you're still here."

"Yes."

"So you let this magician take your neighbours? I wonder why." Isaac says. Shocked that a fellow Forgemaster had allowed whoever this magician was to take her neighbours so easily. So now, he's a little sceptical of her abilities. "Unless of course, you're not quite what you pass yourself off as." He said. The woman's eyes slightly widened and suddenly gained a dark look on her face. "Oh...I am." A purple and menacing light starts emanating out of the older woman, warning Isaac of her power as she let out a burst of it. Creating a strong gust of wind, along with her power, that startles his night creatures back. The little girl's eyes widened in fear and cling onto Isaac, letting out a whimper. Isaac wraps an arm around her and reaches for his knife.

The woman narrows her eyes at Isaac, seemingly glaring at him as she slowly begins to become weak. Her power died down and she falls back on her chair. She let out an exhausted sigh as she said, "I'm just not as strong as I was. This life takes a toll, Forgemaster." The blind woman didn't help the townsfolk because she wasn't powerful enough to defeat the magician. Even if she had tried, there wasn't much she could've done.

"It does." Isaac stands down and kneels to the child, hushing and calming her whimpers. He holds her clenched hands and pets her head. "It's alright. She isn't going to hurt you." Isaac tells her. The little girl looks at him and takes a deep breath. She slowly nods her head and calms down somewhat. Isaac smiles at her and rose back up to his feet. He turns to the blind woman and asked, "I have a child with me. Might she go inside your house and change?"

"I don't mind. At least this child's quiet." The woman said, chuckling a bit and gave them permission to go inside her home. Isaac gives the little girl the new set of clothes and tells her to go on in. She nodded and walked inside the house, giving Isaac and the woman some privacy to talk. Isaac walked over to the woman and sat down beside her. "I am Isaac." He introduced himself.

"Miranda." The woman said. "And the child?" Isaac stayed silent for a moment, he was still thinking of a name for her but he quickly came to a decision. In hindsight it was simplistic, but he figured it was better than nothing. "Her name is Sapphire." After the colour of her eyes. "You were able to protect yourself but..."

"I was able to frighten them away from me. But the magic was thin now. I couldn't do a thing for anyone else, I had to just watch." Miranda says. Isaac gazes down at his hands as his mind recollected that painful memory. The night where he would've gladly die for Dracula, his one and only dear friend. But... "Then I regret only that I have taken a choice for you." There was nothing Isaac could've done as the Vampire King teleporting him away. "The magician never came back for you?" Isaac asked.

"He has no reason to. I can still defend myself, he wouldn't be to turn me and how much use will I be to him anyway?" Miranda said. "He has what he needs the mad bastard. Building a city state here. One day the Styrians will punch through the cities that enclose them and swarm across the country."

"I'm going to Styria." Isaac stated.

"Why, for God's sake?" Miranda exclaimed. Wondering if Isaac was mad to even go anywhere near Styria.

"I have people to kill there." He said very plainly. Miranda moved her head to the direction of his small army of night creatures and let out a laugh. "Well, you will need more of them and Styria is still a good two weeks ride from here."

"I was betrayed." Isaac softly as he gripped his sleeves, turning away. "I could not do a thing." His heart was still filled with anger and hatred towards Hector. He had respected Hector and at one point would've called him his friend and a great Forgemaster. But after learning of his "betrayal" and abandoning Dracula...there was no way for Isaac to forgive me. He will kill Hector for what he has done.

"The magician I spoke of has a transmission mirror, Isaac." Miranda tells him.

"Really." Isaac says as he turns back to the woman with interest.

"One that is unusually tall and white and can transmit many people at once. Of course, to obtain such a treasure you will have to kill everyone in that town so that the magician has no defence. Thereby converting the entire population into more of your night creatures. Equipping you with a full army to take your revenge in Styria." Miranda says as she leans back in her seat with a smile of her face. "Yes, I probably should've mentioned that I am quite mad." She laughed.

"Kill them all pretty Forgemaster. They'll thank you for it, and they'll thank you for turning them into instruments of revenge against the human race. Go and save my old neighbours and take your reward." Miranda leans forward and cupped Isaac's cheek. "It would please a tired old colleague in your art and it would be justice. There are worse things in the world than Vampires in Styria, Isaac."

Isaac took in her words and stood back up. He felt a tug at his cloak and he turned to see the little girl, now known as Sapphire, standing beside him. She was now dressed in a dark blue dress that has puffed sleeves with a large pink ribbon tied in the back of her head and wore black shoes. Isaac picked her up and walked back to his horse, seating her on its back. "There are Worse things than betrayal." She says. And with that, Isaac hopped back on his horse and left with his small army. Heading to the town where this magician resides. The more he thought about it, the more of a good idea it sounded. By using her old neighbours, Isaac can increase the number of his army immensely and will gain a way to get to Hector much faster than he anticipated.

"Does revenge matter that much to you?"

Isaac's eyes widened in surprise and immediately stops. He quickly turns around and see Sapphire, who in turn, was looking at him saddened eyes. Did...did she just talk? She must've. The voice was soft and young. Isaac continued to stare as he asks, "Did...you say that?" To his astonishment, Sapphire nodded. "Yes." She said. Isaac gawked at her for moment before getting a hold of himself. If she had asked that, that meant that she had heard everything what he and Miranda had said. "There is someone I have to kill. I was betrayed and I must right all the wrongs I've been dealt."

"But... how do you know it will make you happy?" She asks him.

"....What?"

"I have lived on the streets for a while. I have watched and seen many people get hurt time and time again and return it back with greater pain. But...there's nothing to be gain from getting revenge." Sapphire said as she wrapped her arms around Isaac, like a young daughter hugging her father. Isaac was just silent at this point. Revenge. That is what's driving him. That's why he was going to Styria. He'll kill Hector and take his revenge for Dracula and for himself.

"After you've had your blood what will you do then?" "If you don't have your own story, you become part of someone else's'" "If you kill us all, you end human cruelty, yes. But you end human kindness, too."

Suddenly, The Captain's words echoed in his mind. Even if he kills Hector, and kills all of humanity...what then? What will he do? Will this little girl that he saved from the streets be killed too? Will he be willing to end all humanity, leaving himself alone? Isaac didn't know what to think as he was exhibiting mixed feelings about his mission. But he can't say anything at the moment. He just held one of Sapphire's hands and continued on their way.

Chapter 33: The Secret of The Priory and The Rising Scheme

Chapter Text

*Lindenfeld*

"Careful, Selina." Duke whispered to his younger twin as they hopped from roof to roof, being as quiet as they can possibly be as they followed two monks. The monks themselves were also were trying to stay out of sight as they walk through the shadows. Continuing to carve ominous symbols around town. The twins stopped and kneeled down as they watch one of the monks pull out a dagger and began to carve the symbol of Saturn into another building. The twin siblings spotted Trevor, Sypha and Vano standing nearby and they quickly teleported to them.

"We have been watching them for some time and we notice them carve Saturn's symbol on almost every home and structure." Selina said.

"Excellent work, both of you." Vano said.

"Now what?" Trevor asked.

"I suppose we question them." Sypha said.

"We only need one of them for that and we don't need the alarm raised in the Priory." Trevor said.

"Do you have a suggestion?" Sypha asked him. Trevor spread a smirk. "Let me take care of it. I felt bloody useless ever since all this became about magic and weird symbology." He said.

"Are you quite certain of that notion?" Vano asked him.

"Lord Belmont, will you be all right on your own?" Selina asks him with worry. Duke placed a comforting arm around his sister's shoulders and smiled. "He is the son of the noble House of Belmont. He can make work of almost anything." He said. Trevor chuckled and ruffled the boy's hair. "Yeah." He said as he stepped out into the open and walks over the monks as the others stayed behind. His smirk widening with each step he takes. "I'm a simple man with simple pleasures."

Trevor walks up to them and the monks quickly took notice of him which was exactly what the hunter wanted. Before either of them could say or do anything, Trevor rushed towards one of them and swiftly punches the hooded monk directly in the throat. The hooded monk gagged and wheezed as he spat out blood. The monk with the knife glared at the hunter and rushed to attack him with it. He swung his knife to try and cut Trevor, but his experience of fighting and training gave him the all the advantage he needed. Trevor quickly avoids his swipes as he tries to throw a punch his way. Trevor quickly moved behind a barrel and kicked it at the monk. He grunted in pain before throwing the barrel away.

He kept on swinging even as Trevor went behind another barrel to act as some sort wall between. Not that the hardened hunter needed one. After a few quick swipes of his knife, Trevor found an opening and slipped through. Heading to his blind side and delivered a solid punch to the face. Making him stumble a bit before glaring at Trevor. The hunter turned back to the other monk and sees him rip off his sleeves and throwback his hood. Trevor smirked at him as he cracked his knuckles and threw off his cloak. The knife-wielding monk glared at Trevor as he got into position to attack.

The way he held himself and the blade almost made Trevor laugh. Almost. "Oh, I do meeting a professional killer and that grip gives it away every time." He said as he quickly steps around to throw them off a bit before he fights back. Even when the two monks rushed to attack, Trevor was much faster as he fought back with a stronger force. His fighting capability and slight agility easily surpasses ordinary humans and having a trickster mind do help every now and then. Trevor rushed to the first monk and punches him in the throat again and when he toppled over, the hunter goes and knife-wielding monk by the mouth and delivering three hard punches to his face. He fell to the ground but the fight wasn't over yet. Trevor saw that the other monk was still standing so he knocked him back down with a couple of kicks.

Well, that was fun, mused Trevor. Seeing as how they needed one of them to talk, he turned to the monk he kicked down and hauled him over his shoulder and walking to a nearby barrel, trying to stuff him inside. It proved to be rather difficult getting him to fit and incidentally, Trevor succeeded into doing so by completely breaking his leg. But cannot argue with results. Now that that was over and done with, Trevor collects his cloak and the other monk, covering his face with his hood and dragging him to the Judge's house.

Meanwhile, in a hidden door located in the back of the Judge's office, the man steps out of the room looking quite disturbed, shakily breathing and cleaning his hands profusely. His eyes were wide as he tries to get rid of the markings left on his palms. But no matter how many times he scrubbed and wipe, they wouldn't come off. It was her...! That woman! That gipsy woman! She did this to him, he just knew it! And those eyes of hers... She didn't say anything to him but the look in her eyes told him everything. He glances out the window for a moment before he shuts the door, taking a few rapid breaths before covering the door with a curtain. Regaining his composure as best he could as Trevor, Sypha, Vano and the twins walk in.

"What's this?" He asks as Trevor drops the captured monk on the floor. Sypha closes the doors behind her and the twins raised their hands to summoned light blue chains and wrapped them around the crooked monk. "I found your vandal. He's a very naughty monk." Trevor said.

"An understatement. But yes, he isn't what you refer to as a child of God." Vano said.

"We caught him craving a symbol into the side of a home, the one we saw in the front gates." Trevor said as the monk slowly awakens, twitching a bit.

"The ones seen in a few places around the village. One with a troubling set of meanings." Sypha said.

"One of his fellow wicked brothers also attempted to place the symbol on our campsite." Duke stated. "But Chief Vano managed to ward them off with his magic." Selina said. Trevor glared down at the monk and gave him a kick. "Tell the Judge what the symbol means."

The monk grunted. "Fuck you to death." He shouted in pain when the Judge gave a hard kick to his head. "Keep a civil fucking tongue in your head when you're addressing me, monk." The Judge says.

"I'll tellin' you nothin'. You can't keep me here, you can't do a thing." The monk said with glared at the group. Trevor waked up and stomped his foot on his face. "We could just kill you." He said. The monk grunted in pain as he turned his head to face the young Speaker woman. "I can't believe I tried to be nice to you."

Sypha let out an annoyed sigh at the crooked monk and turned to the Judge. "The symbol has a set of meanings that, taken together, mean death and transformation. They're planning something magical in nature." Sypha explained.

"And you think this is a plan?" The Judge questioned as he turns to take a seat at his desk. "Sala and his people are intending to take some kind of action against the town."

"I'm certain of it." Sypha says with confidence.

"Well, tell me exactly what action." The Judge says.

"For that knowledge, I'm afraid we do not know what they desire yet." Vano tells him.

"But he does." Trevor said as he narrowed his eyes at the monk.

"And Saint-Germain is inside the Priory, he shares our suspicions last night." Sypha said.

*At the church*

A few monks spoke by the door before heading out, leaving Saint Germain alone in the chapel. The aristocrat still held the disturbing book in his hand and seeing that he was alone, he decides to take this chance and see what Sala is hiding and once again heads toward the basement. He held his precious jewel in hand as he cautiously walks down the barely lit hall. He tries to remain as quiet as he possibly can but lets out a sound of surprise when he hears strange sounds and sees a blinding light just as the end of the stairs, emitting from the room next to it. Saint-Germain takes a deep breath before continuing forward.

What he didn't know yet at the time, was that everyone's suspicions around the Priory were right. They were planning something magical and there was more to it to the symbols of "death" and "harvest". For you see, that book containing monsters and demons wasn't the only thing that would be unnatural to find in a church. That was nothing more than a mere thought compared to what they were really hiding. And that was the night creature impaled to the walls. The very same demon that barged into the Priory that fateful night. Nailed to the walls like demonic and morbid fashion as the Lord Jesus Christ. And it was still alive.

*Carmilla's Castle*

It was a bright afternoon in Styria and, though it was a time for humans to get up and work on their daily, mundane chores and duties, it was a time for Vampires to stay within the castle walls and sleep. All the Vampires were resting during this time but Striga was the only one, as far as she knew, who was wide awake. She was in the drawing-room, redrawing her battle plans when Morana walks in. She leaned against the doorway and sighed at her lover. "Why are you still awake? It's the middle of the day."

"I'm redrawing my plans." Striga said, not looking up at her as she was too focused on the maps and the attack/defences/guarding positions she should place for her army. "Carmilla's gotten inside her head?" Morana asks as she walks over to her. Taking a seat on the table next to the masculine Vampiress. "If her scheme is going to work we need to move fast before the humans regain control over the region in question." Striga said, still not looking up at the tanned-skinned strategist.

"I don't think that's likely." Morana says as she places a hand on Striga's. Finally, making the army commander see her eyes. "There's been no intelligence from the capital of Wallachia. They could be preparing for a move." Striga said.

"Or they're all dead." Morona said.

"But I don't know. So I have to factor that in." Striga said, going back to the map. Morana lets out a small groan and walks behind Striga, hugging her from behind and resting her head on her shoulder. "You should sleep." Morana said.

"We can possibly push east as far as Lake Balaton before I run out of soldiers, but that exposes our western border."

"Sleep."

"We can't do it without Lenore and Lilith turning the Forgemaster and they're just taking him out for fucking walkies, also I believe Lilith is growing too fond of him. So much so I don't think she'll let us do with him as we please as he'll become her favourite pet to play with and will be possessive." Striga said with a slight laugh but faded when she began thinking of their beloved baby sister. True she's a few hundred years old, but to them she's still so young and she needs them to guide her. And if the human were to regain control over the region while they are still in preparation... Well, Striga didn't want to think about it, but she swore she would protect Morana and their Lilith with her life.

"Have faith in little Lily, both she and Lenore will land him." Morana walks to her side and holds her hand, giving her another hug.

"It's going have to be soon."

"Come to bed."

Striga gives her a sideways glance before taking in a breath, holding her head as she continues to think and worry about her battle plans. "And the weapons! The supply lines!" Morana had enough of this and let out an annoyed groan and stepped in front of Striga, firmly stating, "Ooh! I worked all that out earlier."

"What?"

"It's just money and time. I did the calculations."

"Then calculate this. We need dead bodies, but we also need feeding stock. Hector can make every human from here to Balaton into a night creature, but that leaves us with nothing to eat." Striga says, playfully tugging at Morana's hair before turning back to her maps and plans.

"Yes, but surely you know how the regions surrounding Styria defend their borders against the five terrible Vampire women in the castle." Morana says as she went to her lover's side.

"With soldiers." Striga stated.

"They don't have that many soldiers. They hire mercenaries." Morana said, walking over to the side.

"Yes. Soldiers, mercenaries, local forces-- what's the difference?" Striga questioned.

"The difference is that mercenaries can be rehired by the opposing side for more money!" Morana strongly said.

"But... there's no honour in that." Striga said, almost in a sadden tone. She was a warrior. Practically born and bred. And as any proud warrior, she found it dishonourable that those who are self-proclaimed fighter can be easily swayed by a few simple coins. Turning against their initial party and fighting with the enemy. "No, but there is money. So we can deplete the forces
rallied against us and deploy the men we buy, as you wish." Morana says, hugging Striga once again and soothing her worries.

"You can actually do this?" Striga asks her with a slight smile and a raised brow.

"It was an administrative problem, and I solved it." Morana says. She closes her eyes and was about to place a kiss on her lips when Carmilla walks in on them, thoroughly annoyed by all the racket they've caused. "Can you not keep it down? I can hear you through several walls and three snoring boys." The white-haired Vampiress said.

"I do not want to know." Morana says as she steps away from Striga.

"What are you doing in the middle of the bloody day?" Carmilla questioned them.

"Making your scheme work." Morana said.

"You don't have to "make" it work. It was bloody genius." Carmilla said with a smirk as she walks over to their wine (blood) cabinet. "Good morning. I'm going to bed." Striga said. Preparing to clean things up and head off to get some sleep but Carmilla stopped her. "Well, we're all awake now, we might as well have a drink. And you can tell me how you helped with my scheme." She said. Then her smile faded as she turned to her two sisters with a look. "Wait. You call it a scheme?"

"It is a scheme." Striga says.

"Rude." Carmilla said as she opens the cabinet.

"But if you insist... we can have a drink and tell you how we'll be ruling an empire next year." Morana said, smiling up at Striga.

"If Lenore and Lilith can do their part." The masculine Vampiress added.

"Well, now I definitely need a drink. I think she's fucking adopted him. It's fine if it's just Lilith, but I'll be pissed off if Lenore's thinking the same." Carmilla says as she places the cups and wine glasses on the table.

"Speaking of Lilith, I'm worried about her." Striga said.

"What do you mean?" Carmilla asked.

"I can't explain it. But...I can't seem to read her anymore. She appears more distant and quiet than how she normally is. Do you think she's still thinking of them? That family she spent all those years with." Striga asked.

Carmilla's eyes slightly widens before letting out a sigh. "I don't know. She never talks about them and since it's so long I'm sure she's forgotten all about them. I'm sure she's fine. Lilith's probably just trying to take her task seriously and thinking about the future. She is going to be the Princess of Styria and have us to guide her to make this an empire to rule forever. What else could Lilith possibly want other than that?"

 

"So, they want a simple, yet a nice home to live in, huh? If they are considering having more children then they're going to need a decent-sized house." Lilith says as she sketches a picture of a medium sized house. Her owl had come into her room some time ago and whispered into her ear about he had overheard from Hector and Leonora's conversation. Their dreams for the future together. Lilith knew she shouldn't have her owl eavesdrop on them like that, but she promised them their freedom and she wanted to do something for them. Clothes, food and the secret visits with each other were great but still. Lilith wanted to know what it was they actually wanted so she could surprise them later.

She was in the middle of sketching when a pair of arms wrapped themselves around her and brought her close. "It's the middle of the day. Shouldn't you be resting at this time?" Noah asked her.

"Yes, but...it's not like I stayed up this late before. I just wanted to work on my plans for us and for Hector and Leonora." Lilith tells him as she goes back to sketching.

"I know, but still even for a Vampire, you need to get some rest soon." Noah lets her go and takes a seat beside her. "So...let me see if I got this right. Hector's a Forgemaster, which means he's more than talented enough to create an army from corpses, as that's the only reason that whore Carmilla hasn't killed him already. He's has a family, a fire mage gipsy woman name Leonora who has a young son and they're both being used as bargaining chips against him."

"Correct. And of course, since we all despise Carmilla, it makes perfect sense that we would team up against her and finally rid this world of her and the others. I'm not sure what Lenore has in mind next for when we go an visit him, but I have a feeling she's going to place an even tighter collar on him." Lilith said. Putting aside the drawing and reaching for a journel that contains her own battle strategies. "It sounds very simple, but it still requires careful calculations, timing and a bit of luck. Right now they don't suspect a thing, and all we need to do if make them think that Hector agreed to work for them."

"And once they've gain a complete sense of security, we'll turn around and slaughter them." Noah said with a slightly excited tone.

"As enjoyable as that sounds, we can't be too rash about it. I want our revenge to be taken slow, so we can savour every moment of it. I want each one of them to feel the same agony and horror as they had." Lilith says as she turns to her secret human love. "I don't care much for the others, but I want you to leave Carmilla to me. I'm going to be the one who turns her ash." A dark look appears in her eyes as her fist tightens up.

Hate.

Hate!

HATE!!!

She hated her! She despised them! It hasn't happened yet. But it will. There was no way Lilith was going to lose any more good things in this world. She was never going to allow herself to become the Vampire they want her to be! Just how stupid are they that they actually believed her when she said she wanted to follow in Carmilla's footsteps?! She was fucking lying through her teeth! Do they honestly believe she'd ever want anything to do with them especially after what they've done to her?! To Noah?! Asinine! She will make them suffer! She will make them feel the very same hellish torture she's been living! 

"Lilith! Lilith, come look! Mother has give birth to our newest little brother!" A young, pretty girl with long black hair excitedly told her. Lilith was in the middle of baking a fresh batch of treats when she rushed in a grabbed her hand before Lilith could have a chance to respond. "Ah! Charlotte, you don't have to pull on me so hard, I'm right behind you!" She said with a giggle. Honestly she was getting excited for to see the new baby. She didn't think she'd be included in their happy moment. Charlotte sent a smile her way. "You're a Vampire, you can take it. More importantly, you have to see him, he's adorable!"

"Alright, alright." Lilith laughed as the two girls reached the main house and went to Charlotte's parents' bedroom. Charlotte opened the door and Lilith was greeting by an enchanting sight. Her father and granny were standing by and tending to her exhausted mother who had a smile on her face. Charlotte's eldest brother was holding a tiny bundle in his arms and her first younger brother was trying to get a look at it. They turned and smiled lovingly at the girls. "Lilith...so glad you could come. You must see him." Charlotte's mother said.

"Come hold him." Charlotte's father said.

Lilith was barely paying attention as her eyes were locked on the blanket in the eldest sibling's arms. She could hear his little soft moans and mummbles and her, once believed dead heart, began to warm up. Charlotte smiled at her and began shoving Lilith towards the family much to her embarrassment. Before she knew it, Charlotte's eldest brother placed a  tiny infant in her hands. Lilith's eyes widen at how small and precious the baby looked. Her face was decorated in a lovely shade of pink the longer she stared at his face.  Her heart began to melt hat such a sweet, tiny and fragile child could be made.

"He's so small...so pure." Lilith said, just above a whisper.

"He's the newest member of the family. Which means you're going to help in raising him, along side us, Lilith." Charlette's father said.

"Lilith, dear, when he grows please play with him and become his friend." The mother gently says.

Lilith snapped out of her daze and nodded at the parents. "Y-yes! Of course, I will!" She said with much pride and joy in her voice. She turned to face Granny when she heard the old woman give a soft laugh. "Lilith, would you like to give the boy his name?"

"Y-you want me to...?"

"Certainly. After all, you are a part of this family, aren't you?" The father said with a smile.

Family....

Lilith was stunned into silence as she gazes at them before turning back to the baby in her arms. She gave a warm smile as tears formed in her eyes. "....Noah. That will be his name." She said.

'I promise. No matter what, I'll always protect you...'

"Lilith." The young Vampiress nearly jumped two feet in the arm when she felt Noah wrap his arms around her. He was clutching her hand and only then did Lilith realise just how much she was shaking. Lilith took in a few deep breaths before turning around holding Noah tight. She choked back a sob as Noah hushed her. "It's okay. I'm here. You're not going through this alone. I'm right here with you and I'm not going anywhere. That's a promise."

Lilith let out a sigh as she slowly begins to relax. "I know. That's all I want to know right now. You're still here. I still have you." She said softly. The two pulled away for a brief moment before giving each other a sweet kiss. A promise to stand by the other and protect them was sealed within it.

Chapter 34: What the Night Brings

Chapter Text

*At the Belmont Hold*

Sumi and Taka travelled up the balanced elevator and they get themselves ready for another day of training. Even though they are grateful that Alucard is helping them, they suspect that he's holding things back. And they also suspect that the kindly gipsy girl might be the one behind that notion.

"He's holding things back from us, you know." Taka says.

"He wants us to stay. Miri seems to be an honest person, she wants us to stay too because it makes her happy that he's making connections with us." Sumi said, defending her new teachers a bit as she takes their feelings into consideration.

"Well, he did kill his father. And the people who helped him left." Taka said as he and Sumi walked in the direction of the forest.

"It's just them in a dead castle guarding a ruined house." Sumi said.

"It doesn't seem fair, does it? He rid the world of Dracula, and this is his reward." Taka said.

"I think that he thinks he deserves it." Sumi said.

"The loneliness?" Taka asked.

"He killed his own father. He wants to be punished for it." Sumi tells him.

"Even though he had no choice. But he has had Miri with him this whole time. I think it's because of her that he doesn't think that way too often. It seems that he probably killed Cho, too. At the very least, Cho died as a result of his attack on Dracula." Taka said.

"Now home is more unprotected than ever. But he has so many wonderful things. He can do so much for us. Give us a future." Sumi says as Taka knelt down and picked one of the white wildflowers around a nearby tree.

"But he stays here because it's as close to death as he can manage without killing himself. Which again, because of Miri being here, he doesn't think that. He adores that girl. Practically worships her." Taka said.

"She does seem to be very important to him. We should do something for him. Give him a reward." Sumi suggested.

"Can it be after I've had a nap? I've read so much, my brain hurts." Taka said as the two walk deeper into the forest. Sumi scoffs at him. "So lazy."

"I'm not lazy. I conserve my resources for important efforts." Taka said with a sheepish smile as he held his head.

"Like eating?"

"God, did we miss lunch? Maybe Miri and Alucard can make lunch again. And dinner."

"One more dinner?" Sumi playfully asked.

"Well, sooner or later, I'll have to start preparing my own food again." Taka said. Picking off the petals one by one.

"And meals taste better when someone else makes them." Sumi says.

"That's what I always say."

"I know. All right, then. Lunch and dinner, and we'll see what the night brings." Sumi says as they entered the castle.

*******Later*********

"Alright. Just relax, you idiot." Alucard says to himself as he paces around his room. "It's Miri. There's no reason you should be so nervous. You've gone through almost a thousand times. She loves you and you love her three times as much. You can do this. Just relax." He said. He ran his fingers through his hair and stops. He imagines Miri was standing in front of him with that beautiful smile on her face. He takes in a deep breath and looks deep into her eyes.

"Since the first day we met, I knew you were the one. God answered my prayers; You came down from above. You gave me your heart, you gave me your trust. From that very moment, it was more than just lust. Your sweet, loving words can never be compared. I am your forever partner; My soul I have bared. Never put into question any of my feelings being true. I have found my one and only. And that, my love, is you." Alucard then went down on one knee and held up a beautiful silver ring. "Miri, will you marry me?"

Alucard stood back up and felt a bit proud of himself. Okay, that wasn't a total disaster! Nice work. That should be good, right? Or...or maybe he should reword it. No, no. You'll only stress yourself. She'll say 'yes', I know she will. Alucard goes to hide the ring in a special hiding spot just as Miri enters. She smiled when she sees him. "Hello, Adrian. My, you look very happy. Has something occurred?" She asks.

"Nothing worth mention, except that I still have you here with me." Alucard said as he walked over to her and pulled her into an embrace. Miri giggled as she returned his hug. They savoured each other's warmth and listen to the other's heartbeat. "There's no other place I'd rather be than to in your arms. They are warm. Strong and protective." Miri said. Alucard smiled as he ran his fingers through her long raven-coloured hair. His smile faltered a bit as he leads her to sit on their bed.

They sat in silence for a long while, in a companionable way. It was never uncomfortable between them, just relaxing and comforting. Sometimes the silence was exactly what they needed. Miri knew that she needed it anyways. She still wasn't sure how she was going to tell him. They had lived together so long and it felt like they were in a beautiful dream. Miri loved Alucard more than she ever thought possible.

Which is why the secrets she held within her was slowly breaking her heart. She knew the news would devastate and frighten him but she also knew that if she kept it from him and he found out some other way, not only would he be distraught, but also extremely hurt and mad that she had kept it from him.

Alucard had been watching her features. Something was really troubling her but he couldn't have told what it was for the life of him. Miri wasn't the type of person to keep secrets and he was worried if she was actually keeping something from him. He thought back to the time where he noticed how exhausted she looked.

She had told him it was because she was up late studying and reading in the library and he believed her. But now he was starting to think that she was either telling him half of the truth or was lying to him. Suddenly, anxiety and fear overfilled Alucard's heart. Oh no...! No, no! Was she regretting her decision to stay? Did she not want to be with him anymore?! Why had she been up so late for?!

He leaned down and gently kissed her neck. "Tell me what's bothering you. Please. It's killing me to see you so worried and upset." He murmured into her ear, wrapping his arms tightly around her. Miri reached up and held on to him. She opened her mouth to speak when what he said next shocked her to the core. "Do you regret being with me? Have I done something to drive you away?" Miri's eyes widened and her heart ripped itself apart. She wrests herself from Alucard's hold and she pushed him down. Almost pinning him to the bed as she stared at him with an aghast expression. "Why would you ask that of me? Why?" She said softly.

Alucard's eyes widened as droplets of water fell on his face. Miri stared down at him as she gives him a desperate, pleading look. "How could I ever regret my decision to stay? I had said once before, my heart yearns for you. It desires to be with you always." She says as she leans down to place her forehead against his chest. "I have faith my people are out there...but as of right now, you're all I have left. I love you, Adrian. I love you so much...for than anything in the world. And I want nothing more than to stay with you. I want to stay with you forever..." Miri began to trail off as her words were broken into sobs.

Alucard quickly sat up and held her close. Shushing her cries and drying her tears. "Miri. Miri, my love, please don't cry." He pulled away and kissed her, over and over. "I can't stand to see you cry."

"How can I not? When I've become selfish? There are things that I want to tell you...but there is no guarantee how you will react. You will surely hate me if you were to know."

"How could I ever bring myself to hate you? You saved me. You chose to stay with me and give your love to me... I could never hate you, my darling." Alucard wiped away her tears and lifted her head so she could look at him in the eyes. He brushed her bangs out of her face and cupped her cheek. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked such foolish questions. I'm not sure what it is you're keeping a secret, but don't be afraid to tell me when you're ready. I will listen to you and understand. Will you forgive this foolish man?"

"Only if you forgive this foolish girl."

Alucard gave a small chuckled. "You are forgiven, my love." Miri gave a warm smile as they embraced each other once more as they gave a passionate kiss.

*Lindenfeld*

Saint-Germain can't believe his eyes. Right in front of him, was a night creature. Nailed to the wall. In the same fashion as Jesus Christ, but so much worse. What was this thing doing down here?! Why was it here?! Saint-Germain stared at the beast in slight confusion and raised his hand. He waved it around but it didn't seem to catch its attention. It just rested there, motionless. Was it unconscious? Saint-Germain hides the book in his person as he looks around the basement. Not seeing another soul around. Saint-Germain took a step back when he noticed the symbol for harvest was written on the floor.

Suddenly, Saint-Germain heard a lowly roar. He looks up and sees the demon beginning to move. "Oh, shit." He said. Fearing for his life, the aristocrat runs upstairs as the beast snarls and roars as it thrashed around. Saint-Germain quickly ran up the steps and as far as he could to get away. However, once he made it back on the surface he had run right into Sala and his men. "Are you wandering around again?" Sala questioned him with an intense, creepy look.

"Uh, n-n-no, not at all. Just stretching my legs before I go outside. The knees, you know. Not what they used to be. I spent too much time crouching down with your wonderful books." Saint-Germain said, stammering a bit as he takes a step back away from the twisted monk. Sala stares blankly at the aristocrat and gave a chuckle. "I see."

"H-Honestly. Wonderful. I've learned so much." Saint-Germain said as he walks around the monks and tries to leave, but Sala holds Saint-Germain's cane out in front of him and stops him from leaving. "What... have you learned?" He asks.

"Well, I believe many of the previous occupants of this place had a real interest in contacting Hell itself." Saint-Germain tells him as he takes back his cane. His response catches Sala off guard and stammers with his words. "You mean we are not the-- I mean...this has happened before? In the past." He asked. Thinking on his feet, Saint-Germain comes up with an elaborate story about contamination and doors opening to Hell. He takes a step closer to Sala as he tells him his tale.

"It's clear to me that there have been attempts to open a door to Hell here. In fact, this entire structure could be contaminated. I worry for your health, Sala! I myself may have developed a nasty cough and a slight limp. You shouldn't be here." He says, warning Sala of the dangers this church holds.

"Two of our number have gone missing. But our work is almost done here." Sala says.

"Not soon enough, Sala! They may have expired from the Satanic poison permeating the very stones and timbers of this building."

"We can't leave right now."

"But you must! You must flee, Sala!" Saint-Germain strongly says as he backs away and begins to leave the church.

"Flee?" Sala questioned. Not seeming to take his warnings too seriously as he was too deep in his commitment to his work. "You're absolutely right, Prior! Flee!" Saint-Germain says. He quickly leaves the church before Sala could move in to stop him.

Back at the Judge's house, Trevor picks up the scarred monk and slams him against the wall, engaging in his interrogating with the captured monk. "So... why don't you tell me how many of you there are in that priory?" Trevor questioned.

The scarred monk laughs. "You're a bit late. Not as many as there used to be, but more than enough."

Trevor snorted. "What, have you been eating each other in there or something?"

"We've been leaving-- for days! Just a few of us, one a day. Walking to other towns, spreading the word." The monk divulged.

"Like an infection." Trevor said.

"Like evangelists. Passing on the knowledge and the plan. Bring Hell to this abandoned Earth."

"This is Sala's plan?" The Judge asked him.

"This is our Visitor's plan. He spoke to us. We heard his voice in our heads. Since that moment, everything has been clear." The monk says.

"It really did drive them insane." Judge stated.

"The monks may actually be the victims here. Night creatures have magical powers. It may have distorted their minds." Sypha said.

"She may be right. My people and I have been sensing a sinister presence within the priory, so that could be a possibility." Vano said in agreement.

"The tale you spoke of mentioned how the night creature hadn't taken their lives when it first arrived, is that correct?" Selina asked.

"And how you never laid your sights on it since then? Do you suppose that perhaps it's living in secrecy within the holy walls of the church?" Duke asked. Their questions were quickly answered when they all heard a knock at the door and Saint-Germain practically barging into the room. "They've got a night creature under the priory." He said, revealing that the monks have been keeping a night creature in their basement.

"They didn't kill it, they hid it." The Judge said as he punched his desk in anger.

"Wait. One second." Trevor said. Before they can continue talking, he turns to the scarred monk and gripped his neck. He pressed his thumb against the monk's pressure point and the man was instantly knocked out cold. "Carry on." Trevor said in a nonchalant manner as he turned back to the aristocrat.

"The priory is in ruins. I suspect it's been deconsecrated. There is a night creature being held on a basement level, symbols drawn around it. The Corridor is in that same basement." Saint-Germain said.

"It's alive down there?" Trevor asked.

"Oh, yes! I didn't even get the sense that it was in pain. And it's proximity to the Corridor is suspicious. I think it's waiting. Sala and his men are enacting some kind of plan involving these alchemical symbols." Saint-Germain explained.

"The same symbols we've seen?" Sypha asked.

"Indeed! Combined! There are pages missing from volumes in the priory's old library. The application of alchemy is honestly f-fascinating. They completely ignored the best part of the books stored in the priory. Two persons who have gone through death and rebirth can be fused into The Rebis, the ultimate alchemical goal, and they didn't even think of it--." While Sala and the monks have a clear goal in mind, Saint Germain excitedly blurts out that clergyman has the means and information to create something much greater, the Rebis.

"Saint Germain. Focus." Trevor said, cutting him off.

"Y-Yes, yes, of course. It's just, the missed opportunity to complete alchemy itself! It could save the very world!"

"Let's settle for saving this town."

"Indeed. I feel as if I've been led here. To find the Infinite Corridor, to achieve the ultimate goal of philosophy, and to be... a hero." Saint-Germain stammers. He noticed Trevor giving him look and he humbled down a bit. "From a discreet and respectful...distance."

"We're doomed." Trevor bluntly said.

"We absolutely are not." Judge said. "Sypha. Vano, translate this idiot's gibberish into actual language for me."

"Neither of us don't have enough information yet. All you need to know is that the priory is desecrated and they are somehow working with a living night creature who has taught them magic." Sypha said.

"Sadly, that is all entirely possible. We can handle the night creature, but I'd rather not wade through a small army of mad monks to get to it." Trevor said.

"I'll summon my men-at-arms by stages. I don't want to cause alarm or give Sala warning. We'll strike at sundown when the townsfolk will be indoors." Judge said.

"My clan is well-informed of the possible dangers that will come to plague this town. They are ready to use their magic and fighting capabilities to defend its people." Vano said.

"Good. Sypha, Vano, and Saint Germain will need to get under the priory with me. Your people shouldn't be anywhere near that. Make a hole for us, and keep the monks off our backs." Trevor tells the Judge.

"We will be joining in your mission as well, Lord Belmont." Duke and Selina said as they raised their hands.

"No way." "You're not going anywhere near that place." Trevor and Sypha said, immediately shutting that idea down. Yes, they had witnessed the siblings fight against those three night creatures when they first met and they are well knowledgeable in magic in their own right, but they are still only children. They’re not strong enough to handle whatever it is they were going to find in the basement of the priory. There was no way they were going to let them get hurt or killed.

"If you desire to aid us in our mission, then you must give your word to fight with all your strength and protect your comrades." Vano tells the twins, much to Trevor and Sypha's shock. The twins looked up at their chief and bowed down to him. "We give you our word." The said in unison.

"What?!" Sypha shouted.

"No. No way in hell are they going-." Trevor began.

"Duke and Selina are one of the strongest teams my clan has. They possess astounding physical strength and they're intelligent despite their young age. I have faith they would be beneficial to our plans of attack on the priory and protecting this town." Vano said to them. "I am aware they are children but they've endured intensive training so make a difference. Simply have faith in them." Sypha and Trevor opened their mouths to speak but the expression on Vano's face told them there was no room for any arguments. So they backed down. For now.

"Do we really have time to wait for sundown?" Sypha asked.

"This is my town. You do as I say. We must have a strategy and force of numbers. This will be done properly. I'll begin the preparations." The Judge says to the group as he gets up and leaves the room.

"And, uh, why would I be going down there with you? I seem to have missed that part of your epic plan." Saint-Germain said.

"Because from what you've said, there's a night creature between you and the Infinite Corridor." Trevor began.

"Yes...?"

"And we may only have one chance to get you past it so you can open the Corridor."

"I'm afraid I don't understa-- Oh! Wait!" Saint-Germain said as he looked at the hunter with a surprised look on his face. "You're-- You're actually...helping me? You're being... kind." He said with a smile towards Trevor and the others. Vano placed a hand on his shoulder as the twins ran to give him a hug.

"All right, all right, no need to make a production out of it." Trevor said as he looked away.

"Well..." Saint-Germain laughs. "I'm so sorry. I'm-I'm-I'm simply not used to people being kind to me for no reason. I'm still trying to get used to Vano and his family being as generous to me as they've been."

"That's enough. Keep it down. We don't want anyone to hear." Trevor said. Sypha spread a smile as turned to the others and said in a whisper, "He saw a man try to kick a cat once, and he broke the man's leg in three places!"

"Well, you don't do that to cats, do you?" Trevor said defence in himself.

"Quite the brashly man, aren't you?" Vano said.

"Lord Belmont!" "One shouldn't abuse an animal, but don't you believe that is an excessive course of action?" Selina and Duke tell him.

"Three places. I heard three cracks." Sypha said.

"Poor bloody cat wasn't hurting anyone. Cats just want to get on with their lives." Trevor said. While they were talking, Saint-Germain turned away as he takes out his jewel. Watching it glimmer and shines as a reaction for when he was in the basement. It was there. The Corridor was there. He was so close. Just a little while longer and he'll be able to find her again.

*Back at the Church*

"You have shown us the truth. We have listened. We have prepared. We have restrained you, as you wished. We have given you time to meditate, as you asked." Sala says. He and his followers are pleading to the night creature and speaking to it as the beast lets out a few growls as its many eyes gazed upon the broken-minded men. Sala turns to his followers and continued. "God has abandoned the Earth. Dracula must be brought back. It is what you want. It is what he who forged you would want. We do this in the name of our Visitor, and his Forgemaster, Isaac." His followers remain silent as each of them brought out their weapons. Staff, swords, daggers, whatever they could get their hands on. "When the sun goes down, we shall do what needs to be done."

Chapter 35: The Upcoming Storm

Chapter Text

*Dracula's Castle*

Miri let out an icy breath, bathing the ballroom in a soft blanket of ice and snow. Creating snowdrops to bloom and rebuilding her winter garden. The very same that she made when she went to cheer up her beloved Adrian. She melted the ice a little so she raised them into the air could freeze them to into beautiful waves.

Once her decorations were in places, Miri knelt and created a spell circle out of her Ice and magic. She picked up several books, some from Dracula's library and the one she snuck out of the Belmont Hold. Even reading her notes to make sure she was doing everything the way it should be. Miri re-read the chant was necessary to activate the spell to see if it was the right one.

Miri let out a relieved sigh. Good. It's all here. Everything is set in place. All she needed to do was to use a drop of her blood, recite the spell and all of her late-night studying and research the past weeks would've been worth it. Hopefully, Alucard would understand.

She put down the books and notes as she looked up at the full moon. Its light shining into the ballroom, adding more beauty to her indoor winter. Miri stood up and walked over to gain a closer look of the moon. Memories of Alucard came flooding to her all at once.

The day they met, fighting beside him, falling in love with him. Dancing together. Laughing. Living together. Miri blushed as she felt her heart swell. The time since they began living together has simply been wonderful. They had so much fun. Being with him, loving him completed her life. The moment she told Alucard she loved him, she knew that he was the only one for her. She loved him like she had never loved anyone before or since.

Which is why she's been afraid.

Miri knew how gentle Alucard's human heart was. She knew he was still hurting. Over the death of his father he caused. His beloved mother. He still blames himself for it no matter how many times he denies it to her. Alucard seems to let go of the guilt he held inside. He was starting to smile and laugh more. But then a thought came to her. What would happen to him if she were to die?

Alucard is a Dhampir. He's able to live on for centuries from here on out. But she's human. She's fated to grow old and die, leaving him all alone. It would destroy him and make him fall into a deep depression and loneliness. Just thinking about was enough to make her cry. Miri couldn't bear to leave all alone him like that.

She's fifteen. She's old enough to marry, lay with him and give birth to as many children as he wanted. Even though Alucard hasn't even mentioned anything about marriage. She didn't know if he wanted to marry her. But regardless of whether he wants to or not, doesn't matter to her. She knows Alucard loved her just as much as she loved him. 

Ever since the night they confessed their feelings, Miri had meant every word she had ever said to him. Hear heart always yearn for him. He was her eternal love. She wanted to be with him forever and ever.

That's why Miri has been searching for a spell to make her immortal. An immortal like him. She'd be able to live as long as he would. She'll age like him. And they'll have thousands of years together. Although she wanted millions if it means they'll be together. Miri knew she's going to have Alucard the truth of her secrets...as well as the...other truth she had uncovered just recently. She has no idea how he'll react but she prayed he wouldn't be angry with her.

Miri looked up at the full moon, grasping her pendant as she made a solemn vow. "My dearest Adrian. This feeling I have, I wish I could freeze. It's deep within and makes me shake at the knees. It's my love for you that keeps going strong, and when you're with me I know nothing can go wrong. My heart for you is like an open book. This heart of mine you finally took. The day came when we did meet, and now our love, it is complete. The One I thank for this happiness so wide, He is our God who dwells inside. He gave you me and he gave me you, and I am so thankful that He is so true. There will be times when we will disagree, but as we grow and explore, we will see. As long as together we bind our hearts, then we can be assured we will never ever part!"

Now then... perhaps she should test that transportation spell.

*********

"The armoury here is beautiful. I expected there to be more magical weapons, though." Taka says as Alucard guide the two hunters from Japan around the castle.

"My father was an accomplished magician. He held enough power within himself that he felt magically enhanced weapons to be unnecessary. He preferred physical things to be themselves." Alucard tells him.

"Do you?" Sumi asked him.

"I don't have a strong opinion. Magic and science are two sides of the same coin to me." Alucard said.

"Are you sure the castle can't be moved?" Taka asked.

"I'm sure." Alucard said. He and Miri had gone to check the core of the castle weeks prior before Sumi and Taka had arrived at their doorstep, to see if it could be fixed. But after a thorough inspection, it was completely useless. It will never move the castle ever again. Alucard eyed the young man with concern. This wasn't the first time they had asked about it. He had told them the truth, it was broken. Why do they keep on asking? Do they doubt him? Why?

"There's not something you're not telling us?" Taka asked, sounding oddly serious which caught Alucard's attention.

"No."

"Would you tell us if there's something you're not telling us?" Taka suddenly asked.

"Excuse me?" Alucard questioned in slight shock.

"It's just that...there are parts of the castle that you avoid showing us. Things you don't talk about." Sumi said, in a gentler tone.

"It's a big castle. Filled with centuries of material, like the Hold. We have plenty of time together, don't we?" Alucard said, trying to ease their minds by telling them that they have plenty of time together to explore the caste. Instead of pressing on, however, the vampire hunters agreed and walked up to the blonde-haired Dhampir. Sumi and Taka walked to his side, and the young woman reaches forward to hug his arm. "Yes, we do." She said with a smile.

"All right, then. Who's hungry?" Alucard with a small smile as he and the others head toward the kitchen.

*Carmilla's Castle*

Hector sat at his desk, reading a book with Silvanus sitting on his lap. Falling in and out of sleep as he tried to read the book his father had. But it all sounded and look so complex, his four-year-old brain couldn't keep up with it, making him very sleepy. Hector couldn't help but smile in amusement at his little boy. He paused reading as he scooped Silvanus in his arms and walked over to the bed. Tucking the toddler under the sheets, giving him a gentle pat on the head. He whispered good night to him just as his cell door opened up. Hector had a smile on his face, preparing to greet his Vampiric friend, but it quickly dropped when he saw Lenore, with a warm-looking blanket in her arms, as well.

Lilith snuck a friendly wave at the Forgemaster as Lenore went to his side when Hector when back to his desk. "Has night fallen already?" He asked.

"You didn't hear me enter." Lenore stated as Lilith shuts the cell door behind her. The green-eyed Vampiress went to sit beside the young child, positioning the bottle she had wrapped around her waist to help Leonora to gain a better view of her lover and child. Lilith kept a sharp eye on the two. Before arriving, Lenore had mentioned about stepping up on their plan. Thinking of a ploy to truly have Hector fall into their hands. When asked, Lenore didn't give a straight answer. She just smirked and told her to wait and see. Lilith didn't like the tone she used and had gotten a bad feeling.

"No. You have a scent. Like... jasmine and wine." Hector said with a smile. Lilith bit the inside of her cheek to keep herself from laughing. Hector was lying, but he made it sound so believable as Lenore bought it.

"Good book?" She asked, looking down at the section of the book. Hector didn't answer as his eyes when down on the ring on Lenore's finger. "I didn't notice that ring before." He said. Hm, now that he thought of it, he remembered Lilith wearing the same thing. "Really? We all wear them." Lenore said.

"All?"

"The five of us. Carmilla, Morana, Striga, Lenore and I." Lilith said with a fake, but convincing cheer in her voice.

"I'm presuming there's some disturbing reason for that and I will regret asking." Hector said.

Lenore scoffed with a smile. "Silly. Look." She lifted her hand for Hector to get a better look at the ring. It looked a very simplistic ring, but he noticed that red and black bands were wrapped together. "The black and the red. The night and the blood. These are the things that bind us together. The rings are a sign of loyalty to each other." The ginger-haired diplomat explained.

"That's actually... well, "nice" seems like the wrong word." Hector chuckled.

"It is nice." Lenore said.

"It's nice because it means we sisters are bonded together by loyalty and love that will never fade." Lilith said with a childlike giggle as she jumped up and hugged Hector. "Ugh, that left a bad taste in my mouth." She whispered to him, causing Hector to laugh a bit. "It's a different facet of you all, I suppose. Like this book." He said.

"Oh?" Lenore went as she walked over to the bed. Lilith cast a hateful glare as she watched her every movement. Lenore eyed the sleeping child for a moment before opening and placing the warm blanket on top of him. The boy stirred a bit before going back to sleep.

"Yes. It's a magical work, but it's also-- how to describe it? Vampire philosophy. It's fascinating." Hector said.

"So now we're not all monsters?" Leona asked.

"Oh, I didn't say that." Hector said.

"Go on, admit it." Lenore urged.

"I admit there seems to be more...depth to... What would you call it? Vampire culture? Than I thought. There are ideas in here about physical presence in the world. The importance of soil and landscape and... being." Hector said, giving out a chuckle. "I mean, actual philosophy. Amazing."

"Yay! You understand us a bit better now, little puppy. I'm so happy." Lilith said as she bounced on her feet. "Is that great, Lenore?" Her "sister" giggled at her childlike behaviour and sat down at the bed, directly behind Hector. Lilith's eyes sharpen their glare. Maybe she was acting a little overprotective, but Lilith was going let Lenore do anything Silvanus.

Lenore smiled at the pale silver-grey haired man. Seeing the Forgemaster's enthusiasm leads the Vampiress to set her plan in motion. "Then I have a philosophical question for you. Both Lilith and I have been discussing it." She said, making her younger "sister" give her a confused stare.

"All right." Hector said, turning his chair to look at her.

"It's hard to do diplomacy when the other person is in a cage." Lenore began.

"I can't disagree."

"Diplomacy is compromise. I get something, you get something. Neither of us get everything we want, but we both leave happy."

"You have my attention."

'Where are you getting at, you sickening whore?' Lilith thought.

"But you...you don't even get to leave! You haven't got anything! Lilith and I have all the power, and you're a pretty man in a box." Lenore said.

"I'm-- I'm pretty?" Hector said, very surprised by that complement.

"I'd call him adorable, but pretty's being generous." Lilith giggled as she patted his head.

Lenore smiled at both her 'sister' and Hector. "It just doesn't seem fair."

"What's happening?" Hector asked, getting very suspicious at what the ginger-haired Vampire was getting at.

"I've been awake all-day thinking about it. You. Down here." She said.

"What's the question, Lenore?" Hector asked, getting a little impatient to get to the point on where she was going with all this. Lilith had a bad feeling about this. She didn't like the look in her eyes. She glanced down at Leonora. The gypsy woman shared her worried expression.

"What do you want?" Lenore asked.

"I want to be let out. And I want my family and I to be free." Hector said in stern tone and narrowed his eyes at her. "You told me you would get my Leonora back."

"I know. That's all we can think of. It's the only thing we can do for you." Lenore said.

"But you're not going to give them back...and you're just gonna let us out." Hector stated.

"Well...no." Lilith said. With all the talking they've been doing, Silvanus was being brought out of his sleep. He rubbed his eyes, wondering what was all the noise was about. Who was Papa talking to? He looked to the side and saw big sis Lilith. Oh, she's here...does that mean Mama was here to? Silvanus let out a soft yawn and as he tried to see his mother. Only his eyes to widened in shock when saw Lenore sitting in front of him. What was she doing here?! Why is this bad lady talking to Papa?!

"Well... no. I'm loyal to my sisters. To just fling open the door and say, "Fly, be free, pretty human boy"? That-- That would be a direct betrayal." Lenore said with a sad tone. Hector glanced at Lilith. She looked like she wanted wanted to scoff in laughter at that. What Lenore thought as betrayal was nothing in comparison to what their "precious little sister" had planned. Lenore adjusted to make herself comfortable on the haystack bed as she motions for Hector and Lilith to come join her.

"Come and sit down." She said.

Lilith's brow twitched as she giggled and took hold of Hector's hand. Lifting him off of his seat and lead him to the bed, with him sitting in between both Vampires. That's when Lenore reached forward and grasped at Hector's hand, lacing her fingers with his. Shocking Lilith. Silvanus caught sight of that and his fear turned to anger. Why was this bad lady holding Papa's hand like that? Why was she smiling at him like that?

Lenore chuckled as she said, "Also, you'd survive less than a day on your own."

"That's not true. Well, OK, that's completely true and I would die almost immediately." Hector said.

Lilith was about to make a retort on that but her heart sank to her stomach when Lenore laughed and placed a kiss on Hector's cheek. Shocking the three in the cell. Silvanus was more alerted now and sat up. His anger towards Lenore was growing stronger by the second. Why did she kiss Papa?! He was Mama's and she had no right to do that! Hector stared at Lenore with wide eyes.

"You only have one advantage in this whole negotiation." Lenore says.

"I'm not sure it's an advantage." Hector dryly said. He glared at her. He wanted to wipe off her sickening kiss, but he needed to play along for just a bit longer until she leaves. That's when she said the words.

"I like you. Both Lilith and I like you very much." She said.

This caught Hector off guard. "Uh, that wasn't what I was expecting to hear."

"Well, what did you think your advantage was?" Lenore questioned.

"You want me to do my human magic to give Carmilla an army of monsters." Hector stated. Lilith gave an awkward laugh as she stared at Lenore as if she was insane. Well...more than she believed her to be. "Hahaha! Don't be silly, big sister. Of course, that's his advantage. Why else would he be still alive this whole time other than being my pet? Also, that was unexpected Lenore. You might want to be careful, this puppy already has a owner he's loyal too, remember?" She asks, trying to hold back the bite in her words.

"Oh, that. I was eavesdropping on Morana and Striga during the day. They can buy mercenaries to fill out the army." Lenore said.

"I don't understand. Carmilla's given up?" Hector asked.

"What? That doesn't sound like her." Lilith said, not expecting that. She wondered what Carmilla might be planning this time.

"She gets distracted. She calls it the burden of genius. The three of us, including your child, could run out on her this morning and she wouldn't notice for days." Lenore said.

"Wait. Run out? You mean-?" Lilith said, trailing off as she stared at Lenore with wide eyes. Slowly understanding the ploy she was getting at. Hector turned away, hiding his anger-filled eyes. He couldn't believe what Lenore was telling him. She wasn't going to give him back his lioness at all. She had just insinuating that he leave the castle with her, Lilith and Silvanus and abandoning her. Lenore reached over and cup his face, making him look at her.

With lust in her eyes, Lenore tells Hector "Lilith and I loyal to our sisters... but what we're doing is wrong. We could just leave, Hector. If you want to be with us."

"Lenore, I-."

"NO!"

The three quickly turned and saw Silvanus, wide awake and staring at them with anger-filled tears falling down his cheeks. He was breathing rapidly and was gripping at the sheets so tightly his knuckles were turning white. "Silvanus?! What's-?" Hector said as he quickly turned to comfort his son but Silvanus ignored him as he glared at the ginger-haired Vampiress.

"You're a bad lady! You're evil like Carmilla!! Stay away from my papa!!" Silvanus cried in rage. This caught Hector by surprise. He had never seen him act like this before. Ever. Even when he was a baby, Silvanus had always been a quiet and well-behaved child. Not once had he ever gotten angry. Lenore smiled and chuckled at the boy. "Haha, aw. How adorable, he thinks he can scare me with that pout."

"Silvanus, calm down. It's alright." Hector said, moving closer to bring his son into a hug but the little boy struggled against his hold as he continued to yell at Lenore.

"NO! IT'S NOT! SHE'S EVIL! SHE WANTS TO REPLACE MAMA!" Silvanus screamed, more tears run down his face. He knew Carmilla was a bad lady. He could feel it when she first entered the castle. He hated her too, but right now he resented Lenore even more than her. "I HATE YOU! JUST GO AWAY! I WANT YOU TO GO AWAY!!!" When Silvanus let out that final scream, he wished that Lenore would be slammed against the wall and having her arm break as punishment for her sins.

Suddenly a powerful invisible force had hit Lenore in the stomach, making her cough out blood. She was pushed back and slammed against the cell wall, creating a massive crack upon impact. Her right arm spazzed out of control before it went stiff. Then it was mutilated. Twisting painfully around. Blood splatted out and bones poked through the mangeld limb.

It all happened so suddenly that none of them made any sound as they tried to process what just happened. Lenore looked down at her several damaged arm in shock and just as she was about let out a yell, Lilith quickly reacted stopped time. Freezing everything and everyone around her except for her and her friends.

Lilith went Lenore and checked her arm. A wound like this would most certainly make a normal human die from the shock if the impact on the wall didn't kill them first. Lilith turned back to see an equally shocked Hector and he stood up, holding a wailing Silvanus who had his little arms around him. "It's alright, my son. I'm here, I'm right here for you. There's no need to cry. It's okay." He said gently. Whispering reassurance and calming words into his ear. When the boy's wail turned to soft sobs, Hector turned to Lilith with a expecting look.

The green-eyed Vampiress got the message and set free Leonora. She needed to be here right now. Once her feet touched the cell floor, Leonora quickly ran and took her child into her arms. Shushing his cries and placing soft kisses on his head. "Okay...what the hell was that?" Lilith said. "That seemed to much of a coincidence."

"I know Silvanus hated Carmilla and the others, but I've never seen him act like this before." Hector said, rubbing his son's back. "Leonora, do you know what-?" He stopped when he saw his future wife's frightened expression. Lilith tilted her head and noticed it as well. "Leonora?"

"Leonora? My dearest what's wrong?" Hector asked, grasping her arms.

"I don't understand...I thought my child didn't have magic. And yet..." Leonora said. She saw that her child had fallen asleep. Most likely due to the crying and the adrenaline that passed by. Leonora placed Silvanus back into bed and tucked him in. Hector kneeled beside her and held her shoulders. "Leonora, what's the matter? Please tell me."

Lilith moved to sit across from him. "Wait, are you saying that Silvanus...has magic? Now?!" She asked, shellshocked at the revelation.

"Magic comes in all forms of life. It's never limited to basic elements. It grows and adapts, just as humans and animals do. My magic is fire. My first husband was the Earth. But...my baby. This magic he now possesses...it's of a rare breed. A magic that is connected to his mind and emotions. Whatever he wishes to happen will happen in an instant. A magic that bring life...and death." Leonora explained.

*Lindenfeld*

An army marched along the pathway to the Priory with The Judge, Trevor and Vano leading the march. Sala and his men were bringing a threat to his town and he was going to put a stop to it. Personally. No one disrupted his organised town. At the front of the army, Saint Germain, Sypha and the twins stayed back for a private talk.

"I was wondering... how does someone open the Infinite Corridor?" Sypha asked the aristocrat.

"It's an appalling act of will. A combination of ancient knowledge and sacrificing something of your soul. And it's still impossible to control with any accuracy." Saint Germain explained.

"But you can do it, right?" Selina asked. "You were able to before, right?" Duke asked.

"It took me a year to recover from the last time I did it." Saint Germain said.

"And we're sure the monks don't know an entrance to the Corridor is down there?" Sypha questioned.

"Absolutely. It's invisible to the human eye. It's why I need the jewel." The aristocrat told her.

A wave of uncertainty began to fill inside Sypha. She looked at the young children with her, now questioning why they had even agreed to bring along, and up at the Church mere feet away. "I think we've made a terrible mistake." Sypha said. Soon after, the group had reached the Priory and the Judge halted their movement. He glares up at the structure and let out a shout.

"Sala! Prior Sala! When you were a simple man of the church, I tolerated your hold on my people. When you became a mad hermit who shunned my people, I tolerated you still. No more. You will vacate the priory. Throw your weapons out as you exit." The Judge demanded of the head monk. When he received no answer, he grew angry. "Sala! I know you have deconsecrated the priory. God is no longer in that house. You enjoy no protection. Out! All of you! Now! Or we come for you, Sala!"

What they didn't know, was that the Priory was all but completely vacated. It was empty with a thick, fresh trail of blood leading down to the basement below. Two of the demented monks poured crimson blood on the floor, creating symbols along the way, painting their symbols red. While they worked, Sala stood in front of the growling night creature he carved a pentagram on beast's abdomen. When he was complete, he turned to his followers.

"It is time." He announced.

The storm was coming. Will it bring the Heaven light of hope or the Hellfire of despair?

Chapter 36: The Harvest

Chapter Text

*Lindenfeld*

It's sundown and Vano's clan entered the town. All fighters available walked through the streets as they surveyed the area for any suspicious activity while the rest had stayed behind to protect the old and the children who were still little. "Check around as many houses as you can to see if they have those markings of the dead. We must get these people out of this town as quickly as possible, by force if necessary." Everilda says to her people. They nodded in agreement as they sprinted to the nearest homes.

"I only hope we can save them. Selina. Duke. Please, my darlings, be careful." Everilda says in a soft tone as she gazed up at the church.

While the gipsy clan were going around, the people of Lindenfeld were indoors. Coming together to enjoy, what is perhaps their, last supper. And for some, it indeed is. One family, in particular, had just set up the table and had their meal prepared. They sat in silence as they give their thanks to the food until a loud banging came at their door. Startled, the man and his father got up to see what was going on when their door slammed opened and two gipsy men barged in grabbed them, forcing them out.

"You all need to leave now!!" "Death and destruction are coming!! You must leave this place!!" They shouted at the family as more ran inside and got them out of the house. This family, a mother and father, their children and grandparents, were just one of the lucky few to get out in time. As the houses that bear the ominous carving had suddenly combusted into flames. Their blood-curdling screams can be heard throughout the small village as they were burned alive. 

The gipsies and the surviving villagers watched in horror as the homes were set ablaze and the fire rising high above them, forming in a twisted spiral. The haunting destruction could be seen even at the Priory as our band of heroes watched Hell's fire dancing through the skies. Within the flames, the screaming souls of the damned were somehow still alive as they soared across the sky and into the church, pass the hall and down into the basement.

"Oh, my God. How are they doing that? Are they out there setting fires?" The Judge questioned in disbelief.

"No. It's the harvest. I just didn't see it." Sypha exclaimed as a powerful wave of guilt consumed her heart.

"And I waited until everyone was back in their homes." The Judge said, also feeling responsible.

"I can hope that my people were able to save a few lives before the flames took them." Vano said. The ground shook as another explosion erupted. Taking more lives as the screaming continued. Knowing that this had to stop, Sypha turned to the Judge and said, "We have to get in there."

He didn't need to be told twice. The Judge gained a dark look in his eyes as he turned his attention to the church. He glared at the former house of God and ordered, "Take it! Take the priory, now!" At his command, his men-at-arms charged at the Priory. Trevor threw off his cloak and readied his weapons as he and Vano lead the assault. As they neared the building, the doors opened to see the monks yelling and screaming with their weapons raised, ready to for war.

 

****

Lilith held the still sleeping Silvanus in her arms as she wrapped a warm blanket around him. Upon Leonora's request, she was going to take him out for some air while she and Hector...have a talk about what happened. All Lilith could do was give her friend a supportive look before she left the dungeon.

****

*Unknown Location*

High atop a cliff, Isaac watches a tower with a green light emanating out of it. The green light was controlling countless people, now reduced to mindless zombies, forced to build an unknown structure. Each slave had a crown of thorns around their heads and their eyes emitted a haunting green glow. As Miranda mentioned, this town has sufficient bodies to create an army of night creatures. "There's so many." Sapphire said as she looked down at the citizens with sympathetic eyes. "Why would the magician do this?"

"I don't know. But we cannot dwell on the matter. Sapphire, just stay close to me and you'll be safe." Isaac tells the young child. The black-haired little girl nodded, holding tightly to him as the Forgemaster snaps the reins as he and his army rushed down and straight towards the city. "Remember, death blows only! All limbs intact!" Isaac commanded his army as he began to laugh like a madman. "Don't eat any of them!" At his command, his army of night creatures began to attack the mindless slaves.

Landing killing blows on the people. With each life taken, the crown and glow faded away. Though Isaac was planning to use them for his army, this was most likely a blessing to the people. They've been under the control of a mad magician for so long, they've been wishing for death. At least this way, they can die and be reborn as a demon of their hate. Isaac stopped his horse and stepped down, bringing out his dagger. As one of his demons brought forth a slave, barely clinging to life. Without hesitation, Isaac plunged the blade into the man's heart, earning a brief expression of pain before taking it back. Sapphire watched in awe as the man was engulfed in a hellish red flame as he transformed into a demon. And he was one of many.

*Lindenfeld*

The fight outside the priory seemed to be more of a brutal massacre. Blood painted the ground as the men-at-arms and the monks began slaughtering each other at any given moment. Slit throats, decapitation, fatal stabs, slashing against the flesh. There was no holding back. Sypha quickly dodged the swipe of a blade, jumping back to shoot out some of her fire magic.

Trevor raced down and cut down two of the monks with ease. One tried to get the jump on and he was about to counterattack with his short sword, a hand gripped the monk's head and used his hulking strength to slammed him into the ground, creating a massive crater. Trevor raised a brow, surprisingly impressed by that. Vano glanced at him before shooting his arm out and ghostly chains shot out.

Attached to the chains were pitch black blades and they were quick to find their targets. They entered the monks' bodies and when Vano clenched his fist, the blades and chains turned solid. The monks coughed up blood and Vano violently pulled at the chains, ripping the blades from their bodies. With a wave of his hand, he created a wall of fire around them. Sypha followed his lead as she created walls of fire to keep the monks away as she switches from fire and ice simultaneously while using wind magic to spin in the air as she launched a ball of fire.

The monks rush at the young twins and they raised their swords and axes at them. But the twins sparked with electricity before zapping to one place to the other, confusing them to get a good clean hit. Duke appears above one of the monks and takes him down with a powerful dropkick and sending a surge of electricity around to strike the rest of the monks, taking three down. 

Selina teleported behind a monk, grabs the back of his head and fires her electricity into the back of their skull. Another monk tried to slash at her with his sword, but she ducked down and gripped his wrist tightly in her hand before breaking his arm with enough force for his bones and muscle to be exposed. As he screamed in pain, Selina shoved him to the ground and teleported away when another attack came.

Trevor and Vano stood back to back as they fought off and killed more of the crooked monks. Normally, Vano would allow himself to take the life a human, but these men, who had forsaken their humanity for the demons of Hell, were no longer mortals. So there was nothing to hold him or his people back. He delivers two flying kicks in quick succession at a monk before channelling his flames into the shape of a wolf and launching it to devour the rest in his way. Trevor slashed at one man before knocking down another. He slits a man's throat and used his chain to wrap around a monk's head before flinging him to the ground.

The monks and men-at-arms suffer significant losses despite Trevor, Sypha, Vano, and the twins' help. The massacre reigned on as Saint-Germain stood in the centre of it all. He was paralyzed with fear at the sight of the gruesome battle scene that played before him. "No. No, no." He said to himself. He suddenly hears yelling behind him and quickly turned around.

If it weren't for the young Speaker, Saint Germain would have experienced a knife in the throat. Sypha saved him from that by using a shard of ice to block the attack. Knocking the monk back, before turning the sharp into a spike and stabbing the monk in the eye. To keep him safe, Sypha creates a floating ice barrier around the frightened aristocrat as she gets back into the fight with spherical flames with her fingertips. Saint Germain may have terrified at the battle before him, he knew that he still had a goal in mind, so he buckled down his fear and moved forward. Doing his best to ignore the carnage around him.

Down below the church, Sala stayed in the basement with the night creature. He was amazed by the gulf flames circulating on the basement's floor, which then penetrates the body of the night creature directly into the pentagram. The creature growls as its body began to take in the screaming souls. Screeching as their faces and some of their hands pokes through its skin as the Night Creature begins to grow in size.

The Night Creature itself begins to shriek. But whether or not it was out of pain didn't matter as the situation becomes even direr when a portal begins to tear through the wall of the basement and Sala watches in silent awe as he sees multiple pairs of eyes peek into the world. Before he can react, thousands of winged creatures leapt from the portal and began to swirl around the room. But they weren't alone. As they circled Sala, a massive creature with many eyes all around its body, wielding a trident, and four wings on its back step out of a portal and stand before the crooked monk.

*Unknown Location*

Isaac swiftly sped through his demons, stabbing and turning the slaves into another member of his ever-growing army. Though he was getting tired, he chuckled darkly as his motivation kept him going. Sapphire stayed on the horse watching Isaac go through each slave with some of the demons standing by to keep her safe. From where she was, she looked up and saw enslaved soldier up ahead. The glowing green symbol in their forehead gave a bright glow before they launched into battle. Fearful for Isaac's life, the little girl shouted, "Watch out!"

Isaac quickly turned around and saw the soldiers heading his way. One of his massive demons thrusts its claws into one soldier while on jumped on its paw and ran up its arm. Though he was stabbed the chest with its fangs, the man still held enough strength left to stab it through the mouth with his sword. Stunning it long enough for two to attack. One stabbing its other limb and the other thrusting his blade into the demon's exposed brain. The soldier looked behind him and, as his body was incredibly weak and fragile, allowed his arm to be ripped off as he threw his sword, piercing the heads of two other demons at once.

Isaac wasn't expecting this. Now that these slaves were beginning to fight back, this could be challenging for him.

"AAAAAHHHH!!!!"

Isaac's eyes widened and turned back to the direction of Sapphire's screams. He saw one of the slaves grabbing hold of her while more of the soldiers took out of her guards. "Sapphire!!" Isaac yelled out.

"Isaac!! Isaac, help me, please!!!" Sapphire cried out to him as she was taken away by the slaves.

"Sapphire!" Isaac rushed to save her but was halted by the soldiers. He managed to fight them off them, with strength and anger that seemed unfamiliar to him, but he didn't have time to dwell on it. That little girl needs him. After kicking a soldier away, his very first demon came to defend him, slashing at the soldier before getting stabbed in the back. Isaac looked over and glanced at the glowing tower. That has to be the power source, where the Magician was hiding, and where the slaves were taking Sapphire.

Knowing that he has to kill the Magician to end this fight, Isaac ran back to his horse and sped away towards the tower. His blood boil and his heart raced at the thought of what madness the Magician had in mind when gets her. The thoughts that ran through Isaac, for a brief moment, that was not about revenge or building his army.

'If he so much as lay a finger on that little girl, I'll make certain he'll die screaming!'

Isaac races towards the tower with the slaves and his demons giving chase. He looks up ahead and sees the other slaves linking their arms together, row after row, to create a barricade against Isaac. The garnet-eyed man grits his teeth in anger and annoyance but then heard a light growling from above. He looked up and saw several of his winged creations flying in with useful slaves. As they flew in closer, Isaac takes his dagger and quickly turns them into canine, hellhounds which made quick work of the few people to give their master a clear path. But it didn't end there. As he was getting closer to the tower he noticed that all of the remaining slaves were beginning to float towards the sky.

Then they formed into groups. Then they began to clump together. And finally, every last in the area were gathered together to create a massive ball of mindless slaves. Floating directly in front of the tower. They were mindlessly waving their arms before a decent-sized junk of them separated and flew towards Isaac. Colliding with his winged creatures and almost with himself before he quickly dodged them. His eyes went wide in shock for a moment before maintaining his focus to get to the tower. His remaining winged creatures were taken down, and while he was struck as well, Isaac refused to give up. He gripped his dagger, crimson flames engulfing it as he prepared himself for any more to come his way.

He waited and watched. Waiting for the ones to come to him. When one slave was barrelling towards Isaac, he slashed it across the chest. Sending the slaves to tumble down the pathway, transforming him into a monstrous beast of Hell. A giant horned, bull-like demon that towers above the buildings. It walks towards the legion of human corpses and took hold of it in its hands. When it did, crimson red electricity shot through the slaves, breaking through their stoic expression and inflicting pain on them. Eventually, breaking apart the sphere and giving Isaac enough time to ride pass them as the slaves' bodies fell upon the demon.

*Lindenfeld*

"On your left." Vano said, warning Trevor of an incoming attack. Though the Vampire Hunter received a punch to the jaw, he bounces back and slices the back of the monk's neck. "Thanks." Trevor said as he kicks away another monk while he and the gipsy leader ran towards the church.

Sypha uses her ice to block attacks from two of the monks while maintaining her distance. When one tried to skewer her with a spear, the monk was grabbed by Duke and holds him in the air while electrocuting the former holy man, then punches him to the ground. Sypha smiles in gratitude at the young boy and returns the favour by shielding him from an incoming knife.

A hooded monk approached Saint Germain, peeking through the opening in his defences. When he found the perfect one, he thrusts his spear to try and empaled the aristocrat. Saint Germain quickly moved around his barrier to avoid the spear and he saw Selina running towards the monk. She launched her chains to grabbed hold on the man. Once her chains were wrapped tightly around him, she used her incredible strength to toss him backwards and teleporting behind him to strike him down with a powerful punch. "Are you alright, Lord Saint-Germain?" Selina asked as she teleported back to her friend. "Yes, I'm fine." He tells her.

Soon Trevor and Vano reunited with the others and were prepared for a final fight with the last remaining monks when everyone suddenly heard unholy screeching coming from the church. Before they could react, the horde of demons flew out of the building, flying loose in the town of Lindenfeld as the entrance and the roof of the church breaks open.

*Unknown Location*

 Isaac races through the pathway, trying to get into the tower. He had just barely to get to the main entrance before a massive clump of human bodies was suddenly dropped on him. Knocking down his horse and sending him tumbling down to the ground. Isaac quickly got up and threw off his cloak and readied his weapon. He runs into the tower and goes up the stairs with the Legion going around the tower and attacking Isaac through the windows. Thinking fast, Isaac jumped up and ran across them to get further up the stairs. Hurrying to put as much distance as he can to get away from them.

He ran up the spiral staircase, encountering more enslaved soldiers. Isaac didn't waste his time in turning them into demons and instead kills them with his dagger. Even when he was slashed at the side, he kept on fighting. He needed to put a stop to this madness and he needed to get to Sapphire and get her out of here. Isaac chose to save her from the streets. He chose to bring her along with him. That little girl was his to protect and nothing was going to stand in his way.

*Lindenfeld*

The winged demons flew in the air. Going into town and swooping down to nibble and eat bits of the monks. Attacking and killing indiscriminately. The group of fighters couldn't waste any more time, they rushed at the monks and Sypha froze them in ice as Trevor whips his Morning Star and strikes the demons above them, creating a massive explosion that takes the monks out along with them. With their path clear they all ran into the church only to encounter the beast that came out of the portal. Standing on the rafters of the church.

"What is that thing?!" Duke and Selina shouted. When it gave a low hiss, Trevor takes the Morning Star and strikes at the beast. The beast jumped high in the air to avoid it as Sypha, Vano and the twins launched their respective elements at it. Sending spears of ice, firey arrows and electric swords at it. It dodged all of it as it flew down with its trident doing first. It stabbed into the ground, while the fighters jumping out of the way. It gripped its trident and forced it up. Digging up debris from the group and striking Sypha in the head.

Trevor cracked his whip to hit the demon but eyes opened on its wings, seeing the attack coming and ducking down to dodge it. Swinging around to hit Trevor with its trident. The Vampire Hunter moved his weapons to try and block it, only to be pushed back to the wall with his sword denting and breaking. The demon then thrust its weapon, trapping Trevor's head between the blades. A massive flame blew in and engulfed the demon. Sypha and Vano combined their fire magic to try and burn it death. But the demon reached over and gripped their hands, halting their magic and tossing them high into the air.

Fortunately, they were able to save themselves by using their fire to help keep them floated in the air. Chains wrapped around the demon's neck and it gripped at it. Struggling against the twins who were trying to get the beast off of Trevor. The Vampire Hunter kicked at its hand, breaking its finger and wresting the trident off him. The Speaker and the Gypsy Leader were about to down and help them but noticed that another winged beast erupted from the firey souls.

Sypha and Trevor glanced at each other and nodded. They moved out of the way when the beast charged at them. They danced around in the air, the duo using their magic to perform long-ranged attacks while still keeping the beast at a distance. Vano pulled back as a purplish-black aura began to swirl in his hand while Sypha kept the demon busy as she called back the ice she used to protect Saint Germain. She pierced the demon's arm and legs, and Vano rushes towards them. The aura morphed into a massive scythe and with powerful swings and a yell, Vano decapitated and sliced the demon to pieces.

Duke and Selina held each other's hands and they both rammed the other winged demon. Grabbing it, flipped over in the air and slamming the demon on the ground. They then teleported under the demon and holds it in the air while sending powerful electric shocks all over its body. Despite this, the demon reaches under it and grabs hold of Selina.

"Sister!" Duke called out before being knocked away. Resulting him being grabbed as well. The winged demon gripped their necks. Slowly cutting off their oxygen and digging its fingers into their necks. The twins trashed around, struggling to free themselves.

"You son of a-. Put those kids down!!" Trevor shouted as he cracked his whip, striking and ripping off its leg. Causing it to drop the twins and falter back against the wall when its leg suffered an explosion. With unbridled rage, Trevor rushes to the demon and began to beat it to death the butt of his whip. After beating it to the ground, the Hunter rushed to the twins' side.

"Are you two alright?" He asked, checking them over if there were fatal injuries. The twins coughed for air but held his hands. Giving him a smile and a nod. "We're okay." They told him. Sypha and Vano flew back down to the ground and after making sure there were no other obstacles, and now that both demons were dead, they had to go to the basement. But Vano stared back to the town. His people. His wife. "You all go without me." He tells the group.

"What?" Trevor questioned.

"Chief Vano."

"I must stay to protect my people and save whatever lives are still left. I wouldn't worry too much. You have two of my strongest fighters." Vano said, gazing down at the young twins. Giving him a nod of respect to them. "They'll be more than enough to help you fight."

The twins looked up at their chief in awe but were overwhelmed with the sense of joy and honour that their leader would trust them in stopping this madness. Vano turned to the Hunter and Speaker, saying, "Take good care of them."

"We will." Sypha promised, walking over to place her hands on their shoulders.

Vano nodded and was about to head back into town when Trevor called out to him. "Hey!" The stark-white haired man stopped and turned back to him. The Hunter held a rather gentle and firm look as he reveals the status of his child. "Your daughter? Miri? She's still alive...and I know where she is." He said.

For the first time in a long time, Vano looked at him in complete shock. In sheer disbelief at what he just heard. He, at first, thought Trevor was lying. However, after looking in his eyes, Vano saw that he was telling the truth. Then...Vano gave him the kindest, most relieved smile anyone has ever seen him make. "Thank you." And with that, Vano turned and ran back into town. Setting every demon that crossed his path ablaze.

With the roaring flames, heading down to the basement would be proven difficult. But they had an alternative route. Saint Germain pointed to the ground and Sypha created a giant icicle spike and slammed it to the ground.

*Unknown Location*

After finally making it to the top of the stairs, Isaac was greeted by a single door. Knowing who was behind it, the Forgemaster kicked down the door, where he meets with a hulking man in armour coming in to swing a punch. But over his shoulder, all Isaac saw was Sapphire's limp body under the arm of the man responsible for all this. Seeing her, Isaac was filled with anger and leapt into the air and slicing the armoured man's throat. Jumping on his back and kicking him down the steps. Finally, Isaac meets face to face with the Magician. An old man with long grey hair and beard with pale blue eyes.

He drops the little girl to the ground and almost immediately began to slowly rise. She lifted her head to see Isaac but her blue eyes glowed a haunting green and the crown of thorns wrapped around her head. "No..." Isaac muttered as he felt his blood boil. He charges at the Magician, ready to gut him like a fish when he suddenly lifts his hand and a spark of magic circled and took hold of Isaac.

The crown of thorns wrapped around his head and the Forgemaster stumbles around the room, struggling against the light. He stumbled around, gripping himself as he tried to resist the Magician's magic. The Magician smiled at how much he was struggling as the legion was crawling on the walls outside.

Isaac then began to feel weak as the magic was digging into his brain. Screaming at him to give in. Isaac held up his dagger and place it between his head and the crown. He had it right where he wants it. With enough force, he can easily break the crown. But the Magician strengthened his magic and began to walk closer to the Forgemaster.

Isaac struggled as hard as he could, but then the light glowed in his eyes. The magic was growing stronger and stronger. He felt his body grow weaker and weaker to the magic's influence. He felt so tired. Maybe if he just....sleep for a moment... His garnet eyes slowly turned to a bright green as the magic slowly took over.

A quiet, lonely little girl stared up at him with confusion and fear in her innocent blue eyes. She was an orphan, living in the streets. He could only guess how long she had been living like that. She was so tiny and fragile. She would've died eventually if he hadn't stopped to take notice of her. He offered her his hand, and while she was still afraid...she had enough faith to trust him and take hold his hand.

Teach others how to be kind.

Isaac's eyes widened in realisation. Dracula may be gone...but there was still someone he has to protect. Someone to show him the kinder, beautiful side of humanity. A sweet little girl. He closed his eyes and let out a breath, relaxing his body and ease his mind. Through sheer willpower broke free from the Magician's spell. This caught the Magician off guard and he couldn't defend himself as Isaac charges at him and stabs him through the chest, lifting him high off the floor as he watched him die. The countless bodies outside, now freed from the Magician's control, fall onto the ground. It was all over now.

Isaac tosses the body aside and ran to the child's side. He quickly checked her over and leaned down to hear her heartbeat. When he heard the sign of life, the Forgemaster let out a huge sigh of relief. Sapphire was still alive. She was okay. Thank goodness. Isaac gazed down at the child and felt his shoulders shake. He brought the Sapphire into a loving, fatherly hug as a single tear ran down his cheek. "I'm sorry...I'm so sorry Sapphire. I promise...I'll keep you safe." He said.

*Lindenfeld*

After a few good strikes, the icicle broke through the floor. Making a sizeable hole for our heroes to jump down and confront Sala. The crooked monk narrowed his eyes at them and pulled out a dagger. However, before a fight can ensue, the last of the burning souls were absorbed into the Night Creature. The markings vanished and its body was filled with the faces of the damned. The fire burned in its chest before it began to rise in its throat. The Night Creature's eyes widened and shot out the same fire directly into the portal the rest of the demons had crawled out off.

On impact, the portal broke apart and became bigger, lighting up the room in a ghostly purplish-pink light. Sala stood directly in front of the portal with eyes wide in shock, fear, and amazement all in one. "What the fuck is that?!" He questioned as he stares directly into the portal. Without another word, Sala ran off.

"The creature's controlling it!" Saint Germain shouted.

"It consumed the souls of Lindenfeld to do it!" Sypha said.

The group looks into the portal, seeing that it was the Infinite Corridor, and the more they looked, the more it turned into a gateway to a hellish wasteland. Filled with death, chaos and destruction. The sky was crimson red. The earth was as black as ash. Dead trees littered the area. Rivers of blood flowed among it as lightning crashes overhead. The scene then changed into an icey wasteland with corpses helpless stuck in the ground in a futile attempt to break free. Going past a broken, and brunt down village until it ends at the image of the ruins of an old house.

Sitting dead centre of this dilapidated home, in this hellish world with filled death and madness, sitting in peace, was the Vampire King, Dracula and his wife, Lisa holding each other in a loving embrace.

Chapter 37: A Thin Line Between Loyalty And Betrayal

Notes:

Author's note: Warning - This chapter contains sexual content.

Chapter Text

https://youtu.be/eeoABpbngTk

 

 

*A few hours earlier*

Miri sat in her shared bedroom as she thought through every possible action she was going to make this night. She knew that tonight was the night she was going to tell Alucard everything. The whole truth. No more could she keep it hidden from him. But first, she needed to talk to Sumi and Taka. She...wanted to know if she was just overreacting. That they held good intentions for the future and their people. She hoped she was wrong about them. If not...then.

She let out a sigh and stood up from the bed just as Alucard entered the room. He smiled when he noticed she was there. "O-oh, Adrian. I'm sorry, I didn't hear you enter." She said. He reached into his pocket and gripped the hidden ring inside. With heart pounding in his chest, Alucard began to walk towards her. "It's alright. Miri...there's something I want to talk to you about. Something...important." He said, reaching over to take her hand in his.

"There's something I wish to discuss with you as well. But it has to wait for a little while longer. I have somewhere to be." Miri softly said as she walks past her beloved to head to the door. Alucard was taken aback by this and grasp at her hand once more. "Miri, please. I know you told me you would tell what you've been hiding from me, but...please, just a few minutes of your time? What I have to say is something I've been waiting to for so long now." He said, almost begging her to stay. He wanted to get down on his knee. He wanted nothing more than to proclaim his undying love and propose to her right there and then.

Miri gave Alucard a sadden look as she turned back and stood on her toes to plant a sweet kiss on his lips. Pouring all her love into it. Alucard cupped her face to kiss her back but she had pulled away before they could continue further. "I love you, Adrian." She said. "I'll be right back. I promise. It'll just a few moments and very soon I'll be back in your arms again."

That was the last thing she told him before she slipped out of his hands, stepping into the dimly lit hall.

"I want you both to tell me the truth." Miri said as she stood in Sumi and Taka's room. She held an expression that mixed of both gentleness and firm. Her two students were wide awake and looked at her with surprise. "What?" Sumi asked. "The truth?" Taka repeated.

"Yes. I understand that you want us to teach everything we know about fighting Vampires... But...I held an inkling that that was only half of the truth. What is it that you really want?" Miri asked them.

"What we want? It's exactly like you say. We want to be better hunters and free the rest of our people before another Vampire takes her court over." Taka said.

"I understand. However, you're still not telling me the truth." Miri said. "What do you hope to gain once we teach you both hand-to-hand combat and magical properties? What is it you desire so much?"

"What more is there than freeing our people from the Vampires who hold us in the palm of their hands?!" Sumi shouted. She and Taka were getting angry with the young gipsy girl for having their motives questioned. Though they were growing furious, Miri stayed calm.

"Ever since we first met, I had believed that we were the same. Wanting to have the power to protect the innocent and our people. However, I've also sensed deep-rooted darkness in your hearts." She said. Her eyes glowed an icy blue colour and she reached to grip her pendent, surprising Sumi and Taka as they took a step back. "Why are you lying?"

"And what you and Alucard?!" Taka suddenly shouted at her. "He's keeping something from us! He refused to show us more of this castle or how it moves! What are you holding back from us?!"

"This castle may be my home, but it belongs to Adrian. I'm not sure what he isn't showing you but I know he has good reasons. Adrian isn't a liar. He has no rhyme or reason to deceive anyone. You mentioned how your captor has many human warriors slaves but hadn't you already told us that after she left you seized the moment and took her castle, killing her Vampiric guards and freed your people? You said the warriors were slaves, so haven't you freed them as well? Furthermore, we've told you numerous times that this castle can not and will never move again. The device that enables it is broken and can never be fixed. Why do you keep asking? Tell me the truth of what you're after."

Sumi and Taka stood their ground as they glared at her. Not giving any sign that they were going to tell her anything. But the fact they aren't saying anything more to defend themselves was all the confirmation Miri needed. They were lying to her and their reason for wanting them to teach them wasn't for the sake of defending the peace. It was just for having personal power. Miri's heart broke for them. How she desperately wanted to be wrong. Praying that it was all a misunderstanding.

"Why couldn't you be honest? ...I'm afraid your lessons end here. By sun's rise you'll both be leaving this castle." Miri said as she turned to leave.

"What?!"

"You-! You ignorant little-!!"

"I'm sorry. I pray you will find solace in this word." Miri said as she slammed the door in front of them. She tightens her grip on the handle and spread her magic to freeze it in place. Locking them inside. Miri believed that ending their studies was punishment enough. By morning, once she explains everything to Alucard, she'll be transporting them back to Japan. She may not know where exactly they resided, but at least they'll be back home. Perhaps one day, they'll find students with more honest ambitions and Sumi and Taka would find redemption.

With a final tear for her fallen students, Miri turned and hurried back to her beloved.

 

It was a clear evening with a full moon, and although the night was chill on his exposed chest, it did little in easing his restlessness. He was lying on his back on the king-sized mattress, staring out the nearby window at the full moon and the millions of stars in the midnight blue sky. Feeling that he wouldn't be going to sleep anytime soon, Alucard let out a contemplated sigh. His golden eyes gazed admirably at the sky, hoping the clear sight would eventually put him to sleep.

"Sleep, you idiot." Alucard said to himself. But no matter how many times he forced himself to rest, he just couldn't. His mind was too active. "Maybe I should get a coffin to sleep in." No, no. Bad idea. He would miss catching the scent of his beloved that covered the sheets and pillows like a second layer. The scent of fresh snowdrops and the forest. His soul was calling out for her. Even when Miri was somewhere in the castle doing whatever she liked, Alucard would miss her deeply when she wasn't near him.

When he began to slowly drift into sleep, he could see those magnificent silver-lavender eyes staring at him with adoration, her soft tanned skin, and her long, flowing raven-black hair blowing in the breeze. Images came together in his mind of her slender, nude form lying in bed for him to gaze, admire, touch and kiss with his own muscular body pressing down against hers. He shot his eyes open in response, his heart pounding madly within the confines of his chest.

He had never seen her nude before, and he wanted to see her exposed and vulnerable. Based on her cute curves and the swell of her breasts, she was the ideal complement for his muscular physique. He could only imagine how it would feel if they were to embrace each other in a moment of passion. At the same time, he worried terribly about hurting her.

Though they only knew each other for a mere month, Alucard was surprised that he desired her as much as he did. Maybe it was because she was the only one to have ever made him feel this way. To feel, love and laugh like a human. Whenever she would look at him with the smile she always wore when she looked his way, he would always feel a strong sense of relief and happiness. Knowing that she was still with him. That she stayed by his side to give him love, companionship, and the soaring sense of being alive. Miri meant the world to him. Alucard loved Miri more than anything else. He just wished he could-.

The sound of the front door opening and closing caught his attention, and when he took a whiff, there was no doubt about it.

"You're back." He sat up and smiled when he saw her. She had returned to him just as she promised she would. Miri gave him a small smile as she approached him. "My dearest, I had thought you would be deep in slumber by now." She said with a soft giggle. She went to his side and sat beside him. Alucard reached and ran his fingers through her soft hair. "I wasn't sleeping, actually. I was lost in thought when I heard the door open."

"Oh. I'm very sorry for disturbing you." Miri said. Alucard shook his head as he cupped her face. "No. You have no reason to apologise." He said softly. Miri nodded and smiled at him, but then she took notice of his golden gaze carefully eyeing her figure, which caused her to blush in embarrassment.

"Adrian/Miri there's something I want to talk to you about." They both said at the same time. The two lovers looked at each other in surprise before letting out a laugh. "Hahaha. Perhaps...you should go first. Mine can wait." Miri said.

"I was hoping you'd say that." Alucard said as he wrapped his arms around Miri's waist and pulled her closer to him, having her seated between his legs. Alucard held her protectively in his arms, leaving soft kisses trailing from her temple to her neck. They sat in silence for a few moments before Alucard finally got the courage to tell her the very thing he had been waiting for so long.

"My darling. I know full well that we haven't known each other for long...but I cannot think of a life without having you by my side. Seeing you smile. Hearing your laugh. Everything that you are has given me a reason to live again." Alucard said. He released his hold on her as he walked around the bed with Miri watching him his every moment. Her heart swelled up from his words and wondered what he was trying to say. She saw Alucard picked something off the table beside them before going back to her.

Miri thought he was going to lay back in bed but her heart stopped completely when he kneeled before her. Taking her hand in his. All at once, Miri realised what Alucard was planning. The love of her life smiled lovingly at her as he recited his proposal.

"Since the first day we met, I knew you were the one. God answered my prayers; You came down from above. You gave me your heart, you gave me your trust. From that very moment, it was more than just lust. Your sweet, loving words can never be compared. I am your forever partner; My soul I have bared. Never put into question any of my feelings being true. I have found my one and only. And that, my love, is you." Alucard raised her hand and showed her the silver ring. Miri's eyes widened and choked back a gasp as tears began to swell up in her eyes. "Miri, will you marry me?"

Alucard didn't expect what happened next. He certainly didn't expect for Miri to tackle hug him to the floor and kiss him. He wasn't going to argue though. He would have to be pretty stupid to argue with the glorious sight that was Miri on top of him. Her eyes were shining with happiness and her raven-black hair was cascading around her face like an ethereal waterfall. "Should I take that as a yes?" He asks slyly, after returning her kiss. "Yes! It's a yes." She tells in a voice that was a little louder than she had intended. She could hear her heart pounding madly in her chest, a part of her excitement at the fact that he was possibly wanting her.

Alucard chuckled as he sat themselves up and wipes away Miri's tears before putting the ring on her finger. The two smiled in pure bliss, laughing as Alucard picked her up like a princess and placing her back on the bed. Alucard almost couldn't believe. He knew she would say yes but he never could've imagined just how happy he would feel. Miri leaned in to kiss Alucard's cheek, laughing. But it soon faded as she remembered her spell circle still waiting for her back in the ballroom. Alucard took notice of her crestfallen expression and sat down next to her.

"Miri? Are you alright?" He gently asked her.

"You...remember that I've been keeping things a secret from you? And how...I've been afraid to tell you?" Miri nervously asked as looked at him with worry-filled eyes.

"Yes. But I also remember that I would listen and understand your reasoning. You don't have to be afraid, my darling. I won't be angry with you." He says. He reached to hold her hand and laced her fingers with his. Showing that he was there to offer his love and support. Miri took a moment to collect her thoughts and nodded. She took a deep breath to calm her nerves.

"I love you, Adrian. You were a gift from God. Given to me to love, cherish, and protect with all of my being. You're intelligent and deadly in battle, yet you possess an air of refinement and kindness. You have the strength of Vampire but possess the heart of a human. And it's that compassionate nature that I fear for you every day." She tells him.

"Fear for me?" Alucard asks, confused as what she meant.

"A heart's a heavy burden. And you suffered great pain in such a short amount of time. You lost your mother. You were forced to kill your father. It is only with me staying with you that you haven't fallen to insanity by loneliness. But that could quickly change. You are an immortal Dhampir, I am a mere mortal. It terrifies me what will become of you if I were to grow old and die. Leaving you all alone in this world. The reason as to why I've been staying up so late is because,"

Miri paused as she takes out of her notes and shows Alucard her magical chant. Alucard read it through as his eyes widened with every word. "I've been searching, studying, and developing a spell to make me immortal. An immortal like you so that, no matter how many years pass by, I will always be with you." She confessed.

Alucard was left speechless as he looked at his fiancée in shock. He didn't know what to even say or think right now. His snowdrop was willing to sacrifice her own mortality just to be with him. He couldn't believe this. Miri had already sacrificed her chance to find and see her clan again by agreeing to protect both the castle and the Belmont Hold, but now...this?!

"Miri...Miri, I-." No way was she serious. She couldn't be. Why would anyone choose to forsake their mortality like this? For him?!

"I know what this could mean if I decided to cast the spell. I know. I'll never age. I'll never die. And I'll watch the world grow and expand watching our friends and my clan grow and die. I know it's going to be unbearable...but...as long as I have you...what's wrong with being immortal together?" She said with a kind smile.

"Are you want to do this? You're willing...to forsake your mortality...just to be with me?" Alucard asked in a near shaky voice.

"I'm more than certain. To me, you are worth every sacrifice." Miri said with confidence. Alucard's eyes widened again as tears fell from his eyes. How...how? What in the world did you do to have this beautiful girl love him so dearly? Alucard shook his head as he pulled her into a kiss. Miri returned it in full as Alucard gently lowered them to the bed. Caressing each other as they held on to the other tightly. Alucard pulled away and raised himself to gaze down at the girl below him.

He brushed a few stray hairs away from her face as he gazed into her eyes. "Will you be mine to love?" He asked, above a whisper. Miri let out a shocked gasp as she felt her heart rate skyrocketed. She laid there in momentary silence and with a pink blush, Miri nodded. Giving him full permission.

Alucard gave a sweet smile below coming back down to kiss her with much passion, his tongue dancing within the cavern of her mouth. She tasted sweet, almost like an elixir of heaven combined with the fresh taste of a variety of berries, and he wanted more.

The kiss seemed to have lasted for quite a long time before the two broke apart for air. They gazed into each other's eyes as they breathed heavily, the love each had for the other heavily reflected. Alucard leaned down and locked his lips on her neck and suckling every inch of her throat. Miri let out a few squeaks as she fidgeted underneath him, gripping the sheets beneath her as she moaned softly with pleasure. Her reaction was the signal he was looking for. Keeping his eyes locked with hers, Alucard pulled away from her and pulled down her nightgown, exposing her breasts.

He thought her body to be stunning, and the sight before him was just sheer perfection. He removed her nightgown, discarding it to the side before positioning himself on top of her once again. He began to trail kisses from her neck to the valley between her breasts. One hand cupped her breast while his lips lavished the other, syncing his kisses with the kneading of her breast. When she arched her back slightly, Alucard enclosed his lips around her nipple, hungrily sucking the hardened bud. One hand kept a tight grip on the sheet while the other found the back of his head, her fingers becoming lost in his long, blonde locks. He alternated between both nipples, adding to her moaning and squirming.

He pulled himself away from her and took a moment to gaze at her euphoric expression before stripping his shirt off. She took a moment to gaze at his muscular physique, and even with the scar inflicted from his father, he still looked like an angel to her. An angel of the night.

Alucard took a moment to gaze at her nude form, finding her to be stunningly beautiful. He took notice of the innocent blush that now adorned her cheeks, which only added to his admiration. He reached forward to cup her cheek, leaning to give a kiss on the bridge of her nose before sitting up to unzip his pants with her watching from the bed. The heat in her cheeks intensified and she quickly covered her eyes. Miri wanted this moment to be with him, but she still found to be so embarrassing.

"Miri. Just keep your eyes on me." Alucard gently told her as he took her hands away from her eyes and held her head so that she would be looking straight at him. When she was set in place, Alucard placed his hands beside her as he positioned himself to enter her core.

"A-Adrian..."

"I'm here. I'll try my best to be as gentle as I can." With another long, heavy, lustful kiss to her lips, Alucard moved, pushing deep inside her in one thrust. As expected, Miri gripped the sheets to tightly they nearly ripped as she let out a pained scream. Alucard did his best to shush her cries, staying perfectly still and expressed how sorry he was.

**The ice began to melt away**

After a minute or two, the pain faded away and it became alright to move. Alucard held Miri's hand as they entered a world filled with pleasure, heated moans and tangled limbs. "You're mine and only mine, Miri. I won't allow anyone to take you from me." He growled in a low tone.

"Adrian...my dearest." Was what she managed to say despite being out of breath. They gripped each other tightly as they began to reach their limit. Letting out a cry as they saw stars and then total oblivion. He collapsed back on the bed, taking her with him and wrapping his arms around her back. She buried her face into his neck, her fingertips brushing his muscular chest. Alucard held her protectively in his arms as he ran his fingers through her hair and placed a kiss at the crown on her head.

"Adrian...I...."

"I have the most beautiful woman in the world to love and call mine." She had to have been a gift sent from heaven; after all that occurred, it was as if the Gods sent her to help ease his broken heart. 

A small smile formed on her lips. "And I have the kindest man to hold and cherish." He brought her close, wrapping his arm around her waist, and she snuggled her face into his neck before rising from the bed. "There's something else I should tell you. It's about Taka and Sumi ...but I'll save it in the morning. I want to cast the spell as soon as I can. Now that...we're going to wed." Miri said.

**Feeling that the ice was beginning to weaken, it took one more good hit against the door to break it apart**

Alucard nodded as he got out of bed. While they started to redress, Miri had told him that she had already prepared everything in the ballroom. All that was need was for her to be in the spell circle, drop some of her blood and recite the chant. Alucard mused that it sounded simple enough. Miri smiled at him, nodding as she walked towards the door.

*Play music*

But before she could even touch it to open their bedroom doors suddenly slammed open. Miri barely had any time to react at Sumi gripped her neck and pulled out a knife. Stabbing her in the chest. Alucard had a look of horror as he watched his beloved fiancée dropped lifelessly to the ground. The world seemed to stop as he felt his heart being ripped from his chest as tears formed his eyes. He looked like was about to go into hysterics as he shook his head in disbelief before letting out a heartbreaking cry. "MIRI!!! MIRI, NNOOO!!!"

He tried to run to her but the two Vampire Hunters acted fast managed to pin Alucard by placing magical bindings on his wrist that spread to his arms, his chest and bound his legs together to hold him in place. They held on tight and began to burn, eating away at his skin as Sumi and Taka stared down at him. Blades in hand. Alucard struggles against the magical binds as he stares up in shock at his students. "What's happening?! Why would you hurt Miri?!"

"You've been lying to us." Taka accused with a snarl.

"I have not."

"You have. Because everybody lies to us. Everybody hides things from us." Taka said.

"You won't help us. Because nobody helps us. Not even Miri, and we trusted her more than we did you. But she's just like the others." Sumi said. "We will work out how to move this castle."

"We will find all your secrets. We will use them to build our own empire." Taka said.

"I gave you everything." Alucard growled at them, enrage and in disbelief that his students would betray him like this. This was what Miri wanted to warn him about. His golden eyes immediately went to his beloved as he desperately fought against his restaints to get to her. Her blood was beginning to pool from underneath her. Miri was still alive, he know she is! If he could just get to her maybe he could save her.

Sumi leaned down to look Alucard in the eyes and glared at him. "No, you didn't. Nobody does. We have been lied to and cheated across half the world. Do you expect us to believe you're different?" Sumi questioned in a angry, betrayed tone.

"I tried to be." Alucard said. "Miri was a kind and genuine soul. All she wanted was to help and heal people. You had no right to hurt her!"

"You haven't taught us magic. You won't move the castle. You're just like all the others." Taka accused, justifying their betrayal by putting all the blame on them and accusing Alucard of being the one who withheld information from them.

"Please. I know your lives have been hard. But the world is not against you. I am not against you. Miri was never against you." Alucard, desperately pleading for them to see reason. To see what they were doing. Miri won't last long. He has to save her before it was too late. Taka and Sumi stared down at the blonde-haired Dhampir for a moment. They could still stand down. They could see that they were wrong about them and release Alucard. However, in a lifetime of being lied and betrayed, hearts could not be so easily changed.

"Of course you're not." Taka said.

"You're already dead." Sumi said. The two turned to each other and held their blades together. Ready to stake Alucard through the heart. The Dhampir bared his teeth as he tried to break free from his restraints, briefly showing his Vampiric side, but the pain from the magical binding held spread. Sumi and Taka raised their blades high in the air, ready to stake him. Alucard shut his eyes and turned away. Using his mental connections to his sword to come and slit their throats.

However, cold shards fell on him. The freezing sensation caught him off guard and Alucard carefully opened his eyes. To his shock, he found Sumi and Taka encased in solid ice. A cut was left on the ice right where his sword would sliced into their throats. He looked down and saw the same ice spreading towards him. Cutting, and freeing him from the bindings. Alucard shot up and saw Miri, laying on the floor with her hand outstretched towards him.

"Please...no more killing... I can't take it..." She softly said in a heartbroken tone as she fell back to the floor.

"Miri!!" Alucard cried out as he immediately sweeped his beloved fiancée in his arms. Using his supernatural speed to get to the ballroom. Leaving her pendent behind. No. No, not again. He already lost both of his parents, he wasn't going to lose her too. Alucard barged into the ballroom and found the spell circle. Alcuard quickly, but ever so gently, placed her on top of it. As soon as her back touched the circle, it instantly reacted due to the free flowing blood, shooting up a white, golden light. Her blood spread around the circle and went it activated, Alcucard recited the spell. Praying -desperately praying to God above- for the spell to work.

'Please. God, oh please!! Don't take her too! Don't take Miri away from me too!! Don't leave me here all alone!!' Alucard cried in his thoughts. 

After he finished the chant, the light grew brighter and brighter. Creating a strong enough gust of wind to push Alucard back before shooting up to the ceiling and vanishing completely. When it was all over, the golden-eyed man quickly went to his angel. With extreme care and gentleness, Alucard held Miri in his arms. He brushed a few strands away from her beautiful face and checked her pulse. Nothing. Panicking he leaned down to hear her heartbeat.

 

 

 

 

 

*Bu-bump....bu-bump.....bu-bump*

 

"Miri... my love. I'm so sorry...this is all my fault. I'm so sorry... Please, open your eyes. I want to see your eyes. Please, wake up. Wake up..." Alucard tells her as he cradles her in his arms. Softly crying as he pleads for her to wake up.

Chapter 38: Never Give Up Hope, Part 1

Chapter Text

*Unknown location*

A few moments later, Sapphire's eyes slowly opened. She was still in a haze, but her senses were still functioning. Hm? Was she floating? When her vision cleared, she discovered Isaac carrying her and he walked up a winding staircase. "Isaac...?" She softly called out. The Forgemaster quickly stopped and looked down at the little girl. When he noticed she was awake, he kneeled to the ground and steadied her.

"Sapphire, are you alright? How do you feel?" Isaac asked as he checked her temperature, looking her over to see if she was dealing with any side-effects from the Magician's spell. The pale-skinned girl shook her head and rubbed the sleep from her eyes. "A little sleepy, but I think I'm okay." She told him. Isaac let out a breath of relief and brought the girl into a hug. Now Sapphire was wide awake. Why was Isaac hugging her like this? She didn't dislike it, but she wondered what happened? All she could remember was that the slaves had taken her and then...nothing. "Isaac, what happened?"

"You don't need to know." Isaac says as he pulled away. Patting her head. "I'm just happy that you're okay." Isaac rose to his full height and took her hand in his. Continuing their way up the stairs. Sapphire wasn't sure what exactly happened, but she noticed the change in Isaac. She didn't know what, but it's there. Sapphire then decided to just take his word for it and held his hand. As they were nearing the top, the two had explored the tower but hadn't found what Miranda had told them. Eventually, reaching the top floor and found a room that held nothing of value. That is until Sapphire pointed to a door on the other side of the room.

Isaac walked over to it and discovered it sealed with a lock. Seeing as though neither of them had a key on them, and Isaac had to open the old fashioned way. Isaac walked away from the door and once he was a good distance, he charged at the door and easily bust it open with a strong kick. Now that the door was open, the two travellers found another room that was filled with floating mirror shards. The room was massive and so clean in comparison to everything else in the outside world. There were hundreds of mirror shards floating around making soft sounds resembling jingling bells.

Sapphire was fascinated by the many mirror shards. She had never seen anything like this in her entire life. She wanted to look around and get a closer look, but Isaac held her hand and pulled her along with him. Isaac gazed at the mirror shards and narrowed his eyes. He was thinking about the ones he has on hand. "If I have to call you "Sir", I am going to give up and live in a ghost town with a mad magician woman who will probably eat my eyes while I sleep." Isaac says he tips one of the shards away. Letting it fly towards the floor, softly stopping to a halt before it could make an impact before floating up in the room again.

Isaac then looked up and to see several shards coming together to give a shattered reflection of his face. He found it almost ironic but fitting. Even before meeting Dracula, Isaac had been all alone in the world with no purpose. Alone. With no one to trust or care. And no one trusted or care for him. It was almost funny that out of every human in the world, it was a monster of the night to give him a sense of purpose and treated him as a friend. Like he was worth talking to. Like a real human. And because he was his friend, Dracula sends him away to save him. And then...he was alone again.

"I may have been on my own too long." Isaac says to himself, melancholy. He closes his eyes to collect his thoughts. Then he felt a warm, soft hand reach for his. Giving it a reassuring squeeze. Isaac opened his eyes and gaze upon the little girl, smiling at him. The Forgemaster stared at her smile for a moment before returning the gesture. That's right, he wasn't alone anymore. Because he had Sapphire to protect and care for. An innocent little girl who will teach him that this world is still beautiful.

Isaac turned back to the mirror shards and took in a deep breath. He outstretched his arms, the shards moving as he did so, and clapped. The shards danced around the room before coming together, becoming whole once more. Forming into a giant mirror, perfect for teleporting an army. Just as Miranda says. Speaking of whom. The mirror must've sensed Isaac's thoughts because it showed him the older woman. Through the mirror, he sees her kneeling over a campfire on the patio, and she, in turn, sees him watching over her, smiling knowingly in Isaac's success.

The red-eyed Forgemaster gave a small smile back. He waved his hand and the mirror showed him the outside of the tower. Directly at the front door. He and Sapphire walked through and walking down the steps towards the demon army. Isaac stepped forth and commanded, "No more destruction. No more fires. Kill the people, but leave the city standing. Tell the others." The creatures that were nearby growled quietly as they spread out to carry out their master's orders.

"Perhaps others will occupy this city one day. Or, perhaps, it will become a monument." Isaac says as he walks back to the steps and sits down. Letting out a sigh. Allow the immense amount of stress and weight he's been carrying to wash away. Sapphire sat beside him as stared out into the city. "Do you think people will be able to make a home here?" She asks him.

"Perhaps...for now, it's another hopeful idea that died in its sleep." Isaac says. He turned to her. "What do you think?"

Sapphire thought about it and looked out into the city. It was damaged but from what she could see it looked like it could still be fixed. People can move in here and with that magician gone, there was nothing for them to worry about. They could make this into a lovely village. "I think...it would be a perfect place to live in when people come here. They can fix up the houses. Grow gardens and fields. Build shops here, and here, and there. And the Magician is gone. So the people who come to live here won't have anything to be scared of. It would be a nice, quiet city." Sapphire said as she turned to Isaac with a bright smile.

Isaac let out a chuckle. He shouldn't be surprised. A child's innocence is a thing to behold. "And I don't think it's a fleeting hope." She then says.

"What?"

"I believe that hope is like a wish. To cherish a desire. To want something to happen or be true. For me, hope is something that helps remind me that no matter how bad today may be, the sun will rise again and will bring a bright tomorrow. And I hope you will be happy again, Isaac. That is my wish and my prayer to you for saving my life." Sapphire tells him with a gentle smile. Isaac stared at her in awe, not believing that such a person could exist. Not only did she decided to put her trust in someone like him, but she was also kind enough to care, even wish for him to be happy. Isaac's eyes then shifted to her back, expecting enormous white wings to sprout.

Isaac turned back to the city and decided, just for a moment, to see it through her eyes. And when he did, he felt his heart beginning to warm. The city was full of life and colour. People walking to and fro. The sounds of children laughing and crying out in joy. The fresh smells of baked bread and other treats the townsfolk would make to sell. Several of these people would look his way and give a friendly smile and wave, no doubt asking if this was a wonderful night.

Isaac blinked once. And the vision was gone. It was for a brief moment, but it was such a sight to behold. He smiled softly as he reached out to pat Sapphire on the head. "I think...you might be right. I think this would make a good place to call home." Isaac said. "Now...you should get some sleep for a while." Sapphire nodded and scooted over to rest her head on his left leg. Isaac gently petted her head. She closed her eyes, allowing his soothing touch to lull her asleep. Sapphire knew he was a good person deep down inside, that's why she trusts him.

Isaac smiled down at the child. Wishing her a pleasant sleep. He rethought the relationship they have. Now that he was promising to protect her, he wondered that maybe, just maybe, one day he wouldn't just be called her travelling companion...but also be called... Father. Could he though? Does he have what it takes to be viewed as a father by her? Well, that was his hope. Isaac looked up into the sky. Ignoring the destruction around and focused on the hiding stars of the night.

"It's a beautiful night." He said.

 

*Lindenfeld*

Chaos and powerful winds erupted into the air as our heroes were left in shock. Trevor, Sypha, the twins and Saint Germain can't believe what they're seeing; it was a portal to Hell. Was this what Sala and his monks had been planning for?!

"What the hell is that?" Trevor questioned.

"Well, that is, very probably, actually, Hell." Saint Germain said.

"And how would you know that?" Trevor asked.

"One terrible night with the King of Bohemia and a bag of something that turned out not to be opium. We really don't have time for the story." Saint Germain stated.

"Can you close that door into Hell?" Trevor asked.

"Uh, well, not easily. But, I will try." Saint Germain. Fighting against the strong winds as he tried to approach the portal. However, before Saint Germain can close it, stones came crashing down at the Visitor breaks free from its bindings. Crawling on the floor. It let out a roar, releasing a fire breath, the many burning souls breaking through the chapel and out into the town. Countless night creatures come out of the portal and were now in the living world. No doubt searching for fresh souls to feast on. Saint Germain stayed back as our heroes rushed towards the demons.

Trevor, Sypha and the twins stood back to back, overlooking the many demons that surrounded them. Trevor held up his whip. Sypha readied her hands and the twins summonsed their chains. "Sypha, do you have my back?" Trevor asked.

"Always." Sypha asserted.

"You two think you can handle this?"

"We were trained for this." The twins told him. One of the demons fired an arrow while the Visitor breathed out flames at the group. They quickly jumped out of the way. Scattering around to fight. Sypha did a cartwheel flip as she used her fire magic to go straight into the open, fiery body cavity of one of the demons. Burning it and killing it from the inside out. Quickly shielding herself from the explosion. The Visitor breathed fire on the Hunter but he managed to avoid it as he ran towards the demon they had faced earlier. The winged demon its axes at him, but he dodged them. He spun around and unhinged his whip at it. It used its wings to avoid it, but Trevor was smart.

He used the end of the whip to grab hold of one of the axes that were thrown at him, wresting it from the ground and swung it at the demon. Slamming right down in its face. A red-skinned devil nearly caught Trevor off-guard when it fell from the ceiling. Trevor jumped out of the way and ran to gain some distance.

The twins jumped and ran along the walls of the Priory as two of the winged demons swiped at them with their spears and axes. The twins used their electricity to block their attacks. Flipping and jumping around to throw off their arm while shooting out bolts. Selina looked at the corner of her eye and pushed herself and her brother down as several arrows were shot at them. They quickly ran behind a pillar, but they were stuck. The winged demons were approaching and the demon's arrows were able to pierce through the stone. But they had to take a risk. The twins teleported from the pillar and ran straight for the demon archer. Beside it was another fire-based demon.

The twins switch places. Selina slid underneath the archer while Duke rushed at the fire demon. He briefly stops to stomp on the ground and summoned a bolt of lightning from above to hit the demon. He raised his chain and transformed it into a staff. He then charges towards the demon and stabbed it through the mouth. He let out a yell as he electrocuted it, frying it to a crisp. Selina quickly stood up and elbows the demon archer in the back, damaging its spine, heart, and ribs. Selina then teleports in front of it and turned her chains into a battle axe. Swinging it down to slice up the demon in half. The twins rejoined together, grasp each other's hands and charged up a massive electrical disk. Once it became too much for either of them to handle, they tossed the disk, killing the winged demons.

Saint Germain peeked from one of the pillars and saw the group trying their hardest to dispatch the monsters. He didn't need to wait very long, once the pathway to the portal was clear, the man quickly rushes towards the portal and attempts to close it so that no more demons can get through. The fight between the monks was nothing but child's play compared to this. This was an all-out war between the demons of hell and our heroes. But they were not ones to give up. Even when the demons landed a hit, Trevor used the Morning Star to cut down the demons one by one. Blocking their attacks and uses nearby objects as projectiles.

Sypha faced off against an ugly tentacled headed beast. She was taken by surprised when it called forth a rolling orb of darkness to engulf his foes. The Speaker was sucked towards but used her flames to swing herself around it. Once she saw the right moment, she blasted herself out of the spin and landed right one the demon's squid-like beak. Unleashing her fire to burn the monster within.

The Visitor crawled along the floor as it moved to attack Trevor. Swinging one of its massive palms at him. Trevor jumped back and tried to gain distance to get a better striking range to attack, opting to run when the beast suddenly sped up to catch him. Trevor jumped down the steps and strikes it with his whip. Getting it in the shoulder. However, while a mere scratch from the whip would make any demon blow up to bits. All it did was make a hole in the demon's shoulder. Trevor then used a spear from the deceased winged demons and launched it right into one of its eyes. It roared and Trevor rushed at it, jumping high into the air. He flipped in the air before slamming his foot on the end of the spear, digging further into the beast's skull. He then jumped from the spear and spun in the air. Making his whip strike the Visitor several times in a row.

It was engulfed in an explosion and Trevor thought he had killed it, but when he landed on his feet, he found that the Visitor was still alive. Alive, and its wounds were healing at an accelerated pace. "How is this thing still standing?" Trevor questioned.

"Because it's been filled with the souls of the recently murdered." Saint Germain explained.

"So, I'm going to have to kill it several times over? And they say there's nothing fun to do in villages at night." Trevor says with a small smirk as he swung his whip. Well, as a hunter, he always loved a challenge. And if he needed to kill this thing several times over, then so be it!! Trevor swung his whip, striking the Visitor across the face. The demon retaliated by swinging one of its arms and smacking Trevor. Sending him flying across the room, slamming against the wall. Trevor had a little struggle as he tried to get back up. He coughed up blood, but he wiped his mouth clean and rushed at the demon.

Meanwhile, Sala manages to escape the Priory and perhaps going to escape Lindenfeld, but he did not get very far as he was stopped by the Judge. Who, initially, was mortified by the chaos and destruction Sala and his monks had caused. Lindenfeld was now burned to the ground and he has no idea who was dead or alive. If there were any survivors in the first place. Sala rushed down the bloody battlefield between the Judge's man-at-arms and his monks before he was caught by the Judge. He grabbed the twisted monk and shoved him back.

"Sala, you fuck." The Judge snarled. He knew he and his men should've killed them when that demon first came to their Priory. But he will this time. The Judge held a dagger in hand, preparing to kill Sala as retribution for his town's demise. Nonetheless, the monk is more crafty and manages to pull out a knife and fatally stab the Judge in the abdomen. The Judge let out a yell and coughed up blood. However, he spread a crooked smirk. "Oh, you're fast." He said with a pained laugh.

Sala glared at the Judge and drove the knife deeper into his abdomen. Why can't this man die already?! Whether by sheer will or stubbornness, the Judge didn't die immediately. He looked directly at the corrupted monk and gripped his hand and shoulder. Infuriating and shocking Sala. "You have bested me. Well done. But you may not win the war. My men are everywhere. It's over." He tells him with his dying breath. Warning Sala that there's nowhere for him to run.

"You're already dead. Let go!" Sala shouted. Wanting him to just die already.

The Judge stains as he continues to speak. "Sala. Take the backfield into the woods. Go right at the fork and over the creek until you reach the apple tree. Stand in front of it. You will see your path to safety." He tells him. Informing that the only way to evade capture is to follow the path to the Judge's apple tree. Neither of them was aware that the markings in his palms were giving off a subtle glow. Sala was confused, why would the Judge help him? "Why? Why would you tell me this?" Sala asks.

"It turns out that you were the better judge of all things. Run, Sala!" The Judge shouted. Regardless of why he would even help him after what he's brought down, Sala heeds his advice leaving a dying Judge behind. The Judge falls to the ground, flipping on his back as he held a smirk on his face. Laughing despite the pain the knife lodged in his body was causing. His laughter quickly ceased when he saw his glowing palms. His eyes widened. The markings... The gipsy's curse! No! No, why?! He didn't do anything wrong! Why was it glowing?!

Another demon falls dead at Sypha's feet and collected the fire from its burning corpse to blast it at the second demon archer. Which fighting against the twins. The demon saw the flames and easily brushed them aside with its bow. Turning it towards her now. It fired three arrows and while Sypha was able to avoid getting impaled, one arrow grazed her leg. Sypha let out a yell of pain as she gripped her wounded leg. "Lady Sypha!" Selina and Duke yelled out as they flipped around to avoid the barrage of arrows. The twins and Sypha rejoined behind a pillar as the arrows fired non-stop.

Sypha knelt and gripped her bleeding leg. Selina and Duke went to her sides and the girl put her hands on the open wound. Light blue energy lit up her palms and began to heal her. While she healed her, Sypha noticed a large portion of water spilling from under the archer. Earlier, Sypha froze the walkway and used to skate across the room to take some demons by surprise while she cut them down with a solid ice disk. So now it was melted. Sypha looked at the water and the archer, getting an idea. She initially was going to tell Duke to use his magic on the water but he had a different idea.

Instead, he held up her hand, holding it up to his own. His eyes began to glow a light blue and his magic seemed to flow out of his body. Sypha was confused at what he was doing but then she felt something within her beginning to grow and expand. As if a lock that had been sealed away for years was now opening. Sypha focused on the rising power and felt Duke's wavelengths quickly matching hers with him.

To Sypha's amazement, golden electrical surges began to spark between their hands, eventually spreading around Sypha's. The Speaker smiled at the young boy, and she and the twins jumped out and placed their hands on the water. Electricity crackled and roared as it travelled through the water and straight towards the archer. Once it made contact, the demon let out an ear-piercing roar as it was electrocuted to death.

Meanwhile, killing the Visitor was becoming quite difficult for the young Belmont. No matter how many times it was hit with the Morning Star, it did nothing to slow it down or show signs of weakening. It only kept on regenerating itself. It tossed Trevor around like a rag doll while also trying to burn him alive. Blood trailed down the side of Trevor's head. This son of a bitch was pissing him off. So he thought of a new tactic. Trevor let out a small growl as he reaches behind him and grabs his second whip. He glares daggers at the beast while he slams down the whips. Cracking them on the stone floor.

With excellent, precise technique, Trevor duel-wield both whips, striking the demon. It seemed to be of greater effect. When taking hits from both blessed weapons, the regeneration slowed down a bit, but the Visitor refused to go down easily and blasted a stream a fire. Undeterred, Trevor struck his whips through the flames and struck at the beast's head. The explosion from the impact in addition to the flames sent Trevor flying back. Colliding to the ground.

Saint Germain, try as he might, couldn't get the portal to close. It refused to bend to his will and nothing he did seemed to work. "I can't get hold of it. Damn it. Damn you!" Saint Germain shouted, turning to the wretched demon. But then his eyes widened when he turns back to Dracula and Lisa. A powerful realisation came to him as he figured out the creature's goal. "All this to bring back Vlad bloody Tepes? All this death and horror for that leech?" He questioned. That's when an idea came to him. And he smiled. "Yes. All this. All the strength you gathered from murdering a town and drinking its soul. I can't move the window in the corridor."

Saint Germain ran from the portal and went straight towards the demon. "But, you can!" He jumps on to the Visitor's head, took out his crystal and smashes it into one of its eyes. "Show me what I want to see, you fucking bastard!" He commanded as electricity flared around him. Trevor picked himself up and wiped the blood from his face. Staring up at the man in awe. "Ugh. He really is a magician." He said.

The Visitor roars in pain as it tried to shake the magician off. But Saint Germain held on as he tried to get the demon to show him what he wanted. Pressing the crystal harder against its eye. In the portal, Dracula and Lisa looked through. They broke away just a bit for the Vampire King to began to reach out towards the window. "Show me!" Saint Germain commanded with force. The window closed just as Dracula's hand was about to touch the threshold. The Infinite Corridor travelled through its many passageways, turning every twist and turns until...finally. The beast shows Saint Germain what he wanted to see –the portal with the mysterious woman. Saint Germain let out a gasp when he saw her. Now that he had found a way back to her, it was time to finish this. "Belmont! Kill it!" He shouted.

He didn't need to be told twice. Belmont rose to his feet and cracked his whips. Saint Germain stood up and he quickly jumps into the portal. Trevor let out a yell as he raised his whips into the air. The Morning Star ignited and both whips were engulfed in a bright flame. The two whips were united and with one blow, Trevor manages to destroy the night creature. Killing it for good. It took a lot of effort than he thought and would've fallen over if Sypha and the twins hadn't come to hold him up.

"I'm closing the Corridor! Get out now! Thank you! Thank you all! I'll see you again!" Saint Germain shouted. Those were his final words before he closes the corridor. The group quickly ran out of the Priory as it broke down and collapsed on itself.

Chapter 39: Never Give Up Hope, Part 2

Chapter Text

https://youtu.be/27eD9RNgJeg

 

 

*Lindenfeld*

The life of the Priory has been quickly snuffed away as the walls crumbled down. The once holy building was now an empty husk, collapsing in on itself. Trevor and Sypha held the gipsy children close to them as they escaped the building. Stopping just far enough to wait out the massive shaking and once it was over, they turned to see the Priory destroyed. So...it was all over. Right? Trevor lets a sigh as Sypha brings the children towards her, thankful that they weren't hurt too badly. But then Sypha turns and gasps in shock. Spotting the dying Judge, Sypha quickly runs to his side, hoping there was a way to help him. The Judge let out a weak cough as he laughs. "I've killed Sala." He whispered.

"Where is he?" Sypha asked as Trevor and the Twins approached them.

The Judge coughs as he tells them, "Take the backfield into the woods. Go right at the fork in the path. You'll find him. Find me my knife."

"Why?" Sypha asked, confused.

"Because I'm going to wait for that bastard in hell and kill him all over again when he arrives." The Judge says as he laughed. Gasping and coughing for air as he reached out to grab hold of Sypha' hand. "Burn my house down." And with that, the Judge took his last breath, dying shortly after. The group stood there, silent as they stared at the Judge. Taking a moment for him. But Selina and Duke noticed something odd. They approached the monk and lifted his hand. They turned it over and the group saw strange markings that seemed to be cut into his palm with a heated knife.

The twins gasped in shock when they saw it. What? What could the Judge have done to receive this? Trevor and Sypha saw the markings as well, confused at what they meant as it was much different than the ones they've seen around town.

"What the hell is that?" Trevor asked.

"The Reaper's Kiss." Duke said. "It's a powerful curse that can ensure the person will die and be a drag to Hell. Our people always use this curse on night creatures and we always activate them at once...but,"

"Why would the Judge have something like this? What sins has he committed to earning something like this?" Selina asked. The brother and sister looked at each other and nodded. They were going to search the deceased Judge's memories and see what happened. Unfortunately, they were unable to as the markings on both his palms glowed bright red. The Judge's body was engulfed in flames, causing the group to jump back. The flames ate away at the Judge right into his flesh and bones. And once the flames ceased to exist, there was nothing left of the judge. No ashes remained. Nothing but a burned patch of where he laid.

Sala ran farther into the woods, taking the Judge's advice. For once in his blackened soul, Sala felt true fear. Fear like he had never felt before. He needed to escape. He needed to get as far away from here as he can. If he doesn't he'll be surely killed. Sala ran and ran until he found a large apple tree. Just like the Judge says. This place would grant him a safe passageway free from his men. Sala turned around, worried that they were following as he backed up towards the tree. He couldn't die. He can't die. He had to escape! He had to get away from here! He can't die here! He can't-!

Sala let out a scream as he fell through the Earth. Feeling excruciating pain as he twitched and gasp for air. But within seconds, Sala died. Having fallen into a pit filled with spikes, killing him on the spot.

Eventually, Trevor, Sypha, and Selina and Duke had managed to find his impaled corpse. Although it concerned them when the children hesitated to step closer to the tree upon arrival. They looked almost fearful when they saw it. Trevor's eyes noticed something under Sala and knelt to get a closer look. "What's all that under him?" Trevor asked. When his eyes looked at the pit, he came to an answer. "This thing's been used a lot."

Sypha looked as well and began to have a gut-sinking feeling. "What are those small bones? Animals?" She asked.

"No."

Trevor and Sypha turned and saw the twins holding each other. Looking heart-broken as they gazed down the pit. "They're not animals..." Selina said. "There countless human bones in this horrid pit." Duke said. This immediately caught the Hunter and the Speaker's attention. Looking back, it became clear that they were indeed human bones and judging by how small they were... were... were these...? There still some scraps of clothing left behind.

They travelled back to the burned town, passed the destroyed homes and charred bodies laid scattered around. They walked past but noticed Vano and the gipsy clan helping the remaining survivors up to their wagons and tending to the injured. No doubt they were taking the survivors with them or at least letting them travel with them until they find a new home to live in. What caught Sypha's attention was one of the gipsy women carrying a small boy to the wagons. The boy wasn't wearing any shoes. She had seen him once before and recalled him wearing red shoes.

Vano was speaking to Everilda when she spotted her younger siblings. She called out to them and motioned for them to come closer. The Twins told the Hunter and Speaker they would see them soon and ran to their people. The two arrived at the Judge's home and looked at it. Thinking back to his final words and the pit trap.

"He asked me to burn it down." Sypha said.

"It's actually still standing. Should we burn down one of the few buildings left?" Trevor asked.

"It was his last request." Sypha reasoned.

Trevor narrowed his eyes. Something didn't feel right about this. Suspicious of the Judge, Trevor said, "You know what? Let's go in."

They entered the home and went straight to his office. It was exactly how it was when they last left it. Save for a single key on a plate. Trevor approached it, picked up the key and went to the door that was so carefully hidden in plain view. Trevor tore down the cloth hiding it and said, "I just want to know what's behind that door."

"That doesn't seem right" Sypha said. This was the judge's home, and it wasn't right to go through his belongings.

"Come on. This guy was so organized. There may be something the survivors could really use." Trevor justified. Turning the key in the lock. He opened the door and he and Sypha walked into a dark room. Sypha held up two fingers and lit a small fire to see the room...and gasp in horror when they discovered that the room held nothing but children's shoes. All at once, Trevor and Sypha quickly learned of the judge's true nature.

"Here, every little story is a huge thing. A farming accident. A sickness. A lost child."

Trevor's blue eyes burned with anger and hatred when he looked down at the shoes. The many children that were needlessly killed. By this town's own Judge.

"I have to say, running a town does not sound like it's fun." Trevor says.

"It has its little pleasures."

Little pleasures...?

Little Pleasures?!

"The Reaper's Kiss." Duke said. "It's a powerful curse that can ensure the person will die and be a drag to Hell. Our people always use this curse on night creatures and we always activate them at once...but,"

"The scraps of clothing in the pit. The small bones." Sypha began to say. Her eyes went wide as she felt her heart sink to her stomach. The more she looked at the children shoes, the sicker she felt.

"Yeah."

"He said he killed Sala."

"Yeah."

"It was his pit."

"He was the Judge. And he found his little pleasures." Trevor said in a solemn tone as he hung his head. The room became dark once again. He turned and saw that Sypha was gone. The Hunter gazed at the shoes one last time before turning around leaving. Not looking back. He rejoined with Sypha outside and no words were spoken. Sypha summoned three balls of fire and launched them into the home. Setting it ablaze. She created a fourth one, but...she was a little different now. She stared at the burning building and shot out the ball. Igniting the home into an explosion and engulfing it in flames. Sypha's hands fell beside her. Clenched in tight fists and shaking uncontrollably. Trevor went to her side and steady them, holding her hand and showing that he was still there for her.

"I want to leave here, now, and never come back." Sypha said in a sad tone. All Trevor could do for her and stand close and lean his forehead against hers.

 

*Carmilla's Castle*

"Alright. Let's see if I get it. Lenore planned to seduce Hector and get him to have sex with both her and you to put on that ring on him so his creations would be loyal to Lenore and, as an extension, to Carmilla. Silvanus, thinking she was planning to replace his mother, reacted with so much anger that it somehow managed to inflict damage to her...is that right?" Noah asked as he paced back and forth in the highest tower of the castle. After taking Silvanus out of the dungeon, Lilith stopped time again and she went to get Noah and took him with her to the tower.

The green-eyed Vampiress retucked the little boy in the blanket, making sure he was warm against the cold air. "That's right. I'm just glad I was able to alter Lenore's memories and fix her arm before releasing time. By the time I took her back to her room, she was under the impression that I was going to do it. It was also by pure luck that no one was able to smell blood." She said, not taking her eyes off the toddler. Constantly reminding herself that he was still a baby. A sweet-hearted, innocent baby. Why, oh why did he have to develop such terrifying magic?

Noah ran his fingers through his hair as he let out a sigh. He stopped his pacing and went over to sit beside her. "So...what now? It was easy to know he was a normal child, even with the stone he wears around his neck, it only protects the others. But now that he has this type of destructive magic...thing's will only get worse since he can't seem to control it." He said.

"I don't know, he really got upset and it's tied to his emotions. At least for now. But I think that what Leonora wanted to talk about with Hector." Lilith said.

"You sure that's all she wanted? Based on your story it sounded like she was planning to question Hector's loyalty. Also is it safe for them to be alone? What if-?" Noah began to ask before Lilith cut him off. "I ordered the guards to leave the dungeon so long as I was inside. I cast an illusion to it would seem that Hector's alone with me. Plus, Leonora didn't appear to be jealous...much. I think she wanted to talk about Silvanus's newly developed magic and...if she's still pretty enough for him."

"Oh. Right. To be fair, Vampires often have an ethereal beauty to them." Noah says as he glances down at his own Vampiric love. Lilith blushed as she smiles at him, leaning to rest her head on his shoulder. "So many things have happened. Much than I would've predicted. But we've come too far now."

Noah leaned against her and wrapped an arm around her shoulder. "I know...but it'll be okay. We'll all be okay. Try not to worry about it so much, Lilith and don't give up hope. It's all we have left to keep ongoing. We can't let go of it. Not now, not ever." Lilith looked up at her human love and thought back to her beloved family. Their smile. Their warmth. Their kindness. They and Noah were the very ones who installed the hope she has within her. He was right. No matter what happens, she can't ever give up.

Down in the dungeon, Hector and Leonora held each other close. The blanket covering their bare bodies underneath as they lay in silence. They were worried about Silvanus and the magic he posses. No matter how much they tried to think of the possibilities, they still couldn't understand how he could've developed magic the way he did. But in the end, they believed that Carmilla and Lenore were responsible for it. Maybe if Silvanus was in a safer, peaceful environment then he could've had a gentle talent or...maybe not.

"Hector...I'm scared. My child...what's going to happen to our child?" Leonora asks as she tried not to cry. Burying her face in her lover's chest. Hector held her closer, reaching up to stroke her long hair. "I don't know. But we just have to keep doing what we've always done; protect him from anything that might hurt him. We won't let Carmillia or any of those women touch him." He told her.

"But..."

"I'm scared too. But Silvanus is still very young, his emotions got the better of him. He was angry and scared that Lenore would tear us apart. We're his parents, we can help him. We can show him how to control his newfound magic. You're stronger and wiser in the arts, so I know you'll have the best ideas for him." Hector said, lifting her head so that she could look at him in the eye.

Leonora stared at her love and thought about it. She let out a sigh. He was right. Her baby was only four years old and he did acted out of fear. Silvanus is a kind hearted child and he'd never want to hurt anyone on purpose. Leonora nodded. They will help him. They'll make sure than their son will be strong to control his powers and maintains his innocent nature.

"Yes. Yes, you're right. We're all he has in this world." Leonora says as she reach up and cupped Hector's cheek. The pale blue-green eyed man smiled at his beautiful lioness and leaned down to place a kiss on her lips. When they pulled away, Leonora looked over at the ring Lilith had left for them. She picked it up and examined it. It was the same ring Lenore had worn on her finger, but it was a fake as the one Lilith wore. Her ring and the one she left him were fakes she had created herself so even if Hector wore it, it wouldn't have any effect on his creations. They will still be loyal to him and him alone. However, she a little bit of her magic to conceal that fact.

"Lilith's plans are still absolute. We can still pull through this." Hector says as he sat up. Taking the ring from Leonora. Putting it on his finger. "We will fight back when the time is right. For the sake of our dream."

"And for our hope. We keep our hope for freedom and our faith in God, it's the only way to provide ourselves the key to making our dream come true." Leonora says, sitting up and hugging his arm. Hector nodded in agreement and brought her in for a hug. They heard footsteps approaching them and look up to see Lilith walking over with Silvanus in her arms. She opened the cage and walked inside.

"It's time." Was all she said.

 

The three Vampiric sisters all sat around in the drawing-room, having a small celebration as they poured themselves a glass of fresh human blood as they found that they had perfected their plan. "Morana's a genius." Striga says, smiling at her light blue-eyed lover. All of the plans she had made now were all thanks to her beautiful Morana.

"It was all my idea, though." Carmilla stated. The muscular commander of Styrian army took a bit offence at that, not liking the thought that her leader wasn't giving Morana the credit she deserves and tried to defend her. "I-."

"Leave it, Striga." Morana told her. Not wanting to make a big deal out of it. Striga closed her eyes and leaned back in her seat. "Say it. Morana's a genius." She said.

"It was still my idea." Carmilla smiled as she took a sip of her drink.

"Your idea was the equivalent of the village idiot walking in here and saying, "I think we should be able to light fires by punching a fish." It basically made no sense and Morana made it work anyways." Striga told her.

"Oh, for God's sake." Carmilla said with a roll of her eyes.

"Striga, she knows." Morana says as she puts a hand on her love's leg to comfort her.

"I certainly do not." Carmilla said.

"Yes, you do." Morana said.

"How could you know that?" Carmilla asked with a light smile.

"I am a genius." Morana stated. Their conversation was briefly interrupted when the door opens to reveal Lenore and Lilith walking with an obedient Hector. "You're all brilliant. Stop bickering." Lenore tells them. "Don't dawdle, little puppy." Lilith says in her sweet, childish facade as she pulls Hector along. The rest of the Vampiresses held a look of disgust when they saw him.

"What's he doing here? Lilith. Lenore, this is our room. We don't even let the guards in here." Carmilla tells them.

"You wanted Hector's help. So, Hector gets to sit with us sometimes." Lilith says as she pulls Hector around the table. Hugging his arms as she smiles at her 'sisters'. She smiled at Lenore and the ginger red haired Vampiress nodded. "Catch." She says as she tosses Carmilla a small dark blue bag. She emptied the bag to reveal three more of the red and black banded rings.

"What's this?"

"Well, we have a few Vampire magicians here. I had one of them make those. I also borrowed that book from him." Lenore tells her. Morana look over at the rings and was impressed by them. "Hmm. The blacksmith magician. Brave choice. Striga almost had him staked out in the sunlight over Christmas after he melted down her old armor to make himself new feet." Morana chuckled.

"That's him, lovely old man. Strange twitch." Lenore says as she sits on the table next to Carmilla. She and Lilith held Hector's hand and showed them to the white-haired Vampiress. "These are slave rings. One of them found its way on to Hector's hand while he was swearing his loyalty to our darling Lilith."

"Excuse me?" Carmilla asks with a slight smile, already knowing what Lenore was talking about. Lilith let out a childish giggle as she hugged Hector's arm again. "That's right. He was inside me at the time." Lilith tried so hard not to gag in disgust from that. Hector too. But they manage to save face and kept up with the act. Hector prenteded to be angry with her and wrest his arm away from her, stepping back.

Lilith kept on giggling and said, "So, as you know, when Hector forges a night creature, they are loyal to him. But now! He is bound to me through the spell on these rings. When he makes a night creature, they're loyal to him, and he swore loyalty to me, so they're loyal to me, too."

Lenore took two of the rings in Carmilla's hand and threw them across the table towards Striga and Morana. "All these rings are linked. Wear the ring, and his night creatures will be loyal to you, too. And if Hector ever tries to harm us, or take it off, or run away, his ring will cause him so much pain that he'll think he shat out his own heart. Problem solved!" Lenore says.

"Isn't that just wonderful?! Now all of my puppy's monsters will serve us and Carmilla with no questions asked and I didn't have to kill him this time. I'll have my cute little pet to play with a long time." Lilith said with a beaming smile.

"Bloody hell." Carmilla said, almost stunned.

"In return, we're going to convert one of the old outbuildings for him and the tiny one to live in. We're going to make it nice. He's going to live just as well as we do, and he's going to have
freedom of the castle." Lilith tells the others. Shooting Hector a smile. The Forgemaster gave a subtle nod in return.

"Oh, I don't think so." Carmilla says, preparing to shoot the idea down.

"I do. He gets something back from this." Lenore said, taking her baby sister's side. "He gets a comfortable life. He gets to feel safe."

"Do I get to-" "Morana will-." Hector and Lenore began to say at the same time before the red-eyed Vampiress shushed him. "Shh, shh. The real people are talking." She whispers to him. Lilith clenched her hands tightly behind her back as she kept smiling. 'Pompous whore.'

"Morana will make the arrangements. Striga will organize the forging. Carmilla will agree to all this and live with it." Lenore says.

Carmilla let out a scoff as she shrug her shoulders while Morana chuckled, "I'm not a genius. She is."

"The Vampire sister and the Princess had their own scheme all along." Striga said with a smirk.

"Oh, my God. You adopted him!" Carmilla says, looking at her young protégé. Lilith gave her 'master' a pout and folded her arms. "Carmilla." She said. Her hair flowing around as her eyes began to give a red glow.

"All right. Fine." Carmilla says.

"Oh, and the house will need a really big bed. Lilith told me he's actually fairly good at sex, and wants to train him." Lenore says so casually.

"Get away from me. Uck, seriously." Carmilla said as she pushes Lenore off the table.

"Please leave now." Striga said

"I don't think I needed that information" Morana said. "Did I need to know that?"

"Bye-bye!" Lilith says as she grabs Hector's hand and the two left the room, leaving the Council of Sisters to their own leisure. They walked through the castle and as soon as Lilith knew they were alone. She let go and turned to Hector who was seething with rage. "She wanted to trick me and make me her slave."

"She did. She tried to twist it into making seem she was doing you a favour." Lilith said.

"She wanted to make me a slave, and ruin my life! I don't even want to know what she planned to do with my family!" Hector shouted as he fell to his knees. Lilith looked down at the Forgemaster with sympathy and knelt down to his level. Reaching forward to put a hand on his shoulder. "But that didn't happen. We managed to avoid that and you and your family's life is saved."

Hector's body shook with anger for a few more minutes and let out a sigh. Slowly calming down. He looked up at his friend and sat up. Reaching over to grasp her hand. He let out a sigh and smiled at her. "I'm glad to have you as a friend I can actually trust in this hellhole. Thank you, Lilith." Hector said.

The green-eyed Vampiress shook her head and returned his smile. "There's no reason for you to thank me, Hector. I just...wanted to do something to repay my debt. I promise you, I'll do everything I can to protect you, Leonora and Silvanus and set you all free. I won't let Carmilla have her way. Not if I had anything to say about it." Hector nodded in agreement and stood up with her help. The two gave each other a reassuring smile and walked back to the others hand in hand. They two had dreams for the future. For Hector, to be free an live in a peaceful home with Leonora and their children. And for Lilith, to create a new age for Vampires and humans to live together in unity. It was their driving hope. They can't let it go.

 

*Lindenfeld*

Morning came as quietly as the night before was still. The fires had all died down, leaving remnants of the destruction from last night. Trevor and Sypha found their wagon but before leaving they went to talk to the gipsy clan to talk to Vano. The clan were still around making sure all of the survivors were present and accounted for. Trevor spotted one of the women caring for the children and walked over to her. "Excuse me, where is Vano." The hooded woman turned her head to face him.

The moment Trevor saw her face, he felt his heart skip a beat and stopped. If he didn't know any better he thought he had met a exact doppelgänger. 'Miri...?' He thought to himself. Mecry stood up and bowed to the Hunter. "My husband should be around somewhere. He and a few of our brothers went to find-, oh, there he is." Mercy says as she turned to the side. Trevor and Sypha looked over to see Vano and his fellow men walking over to them.

"Belmont. Miss Belnades." Vano greeted.

"We just wanted to say goodbye before we go...and to say thank you for your help." Sypha tells him.

Vano bowed his head and said, "There's no reason for to thank us. We only wished to help. What will be your plans once you leave here?"

"Don't know. But we're never coming back here." Trevor said in a low tone.

"I understand. Well, as honorary members of our family, we all wish you safety and happiness." Vano said. Taking a long look at them. His eyes gazing into their hearts. This tragedy has changed them somewhat.

"Vano. We know where Miri is, we can tell you where to find her." Trevor said, offering to give him the whereabouts of his beloved daughter. Shocking the rest of the gipsies and Mercy. However, he surprised them by shaking his head smiling. "I do wish to where my child is, but you told me she is alive...and she must be safe wherever she is if you're here without her. You have my eternal thanks for the sense of peace you given me. However, we must stay and help bury the lost souls that were taken from them. These people need our protection right now."

"That's very kind of you. I hope we'll meet again someday." Sypha says, trying to smile but found herself unable to.

Trevor and Vano shook hands as a sign of friendship and making them official honorary members of the clan. The hunter gave the chief the directions on where to go if he ever wants to see Miri and Vano gave the two plenty of water, some food and blankets to help keep warm. They said their goodbyes and went their separate ways. Although, Trevor and Sypha were saddened when they didn't see Duke or Selina among the crowd. They wanted to see them again before they left. But...they needed to go.

As they drive out in their wagon, a new darkness has settled on them. A haunted Sypha rests against Trevor and holds on to his arm. Her mind was in a small state of tourment. She had seen and faced horrible things in her lifetime, but never had she ever experienced something so inhumanly evil. "This could not have gone more wrong. What happened?" She asks. How...? How could've things gone so wrong?

Trevor sullenly replies, "We've spent a couple of months living your life. Adventures and victories. And now, we're living my life." This whole time, up until now, they have been living in "Sypha's world", where monster hunting is a thrilling adventure, filled with a righteous sense of victory. Now - for the moment at least - they are living in Trevor's and his family's world: a world where they fight the monsters because they have no other choice, but should know better than to expect any kind of moral clarity, let alone any sense of vindication, where the people they defend are just as vicious and cruel as the monsters they are being saved from.

The two fell silent after that. Just letting the words sink in. They didn't realised that when they spoke to Vano, it was a small distraction to let two stowaways sneak aboard their wagon. Duke and Selina peeked from underneath the blanket they were hiding from and gazed sadly at the Hunter and Speaker. They saw the darkness settling into them the destruction Sala and his men, and even the Judge had caused. The twins knew this. Their sister knew this. Vano knew this. That's why they allowed them to go travel with them. The brother and sister looked back at each other and held the other's hand. They have to install the light back in them. Even if it's small, they must give back their hope.

 

*Dracula's Castle*

When did things...become so colourless? The green of the tree lines were gone. The scent of flowers were nonexistent. Everything was so dull and monochrome. Alucard's saddens only deepens when the wind blew...and he could no longer hear the sweet, melodic voice he had loved so much. Everything was cold, bland and lifeless around him. Alucard was on his way back to the castle after gathering food, stopping only to check on the blue rose garden his beloved had worked so hard to create. Making sure it was properly watered and gaining sunlight.

"Well. I suppose I could've put up big signs all over the place. Do not enter. Danger of death. Abandon all hope." He darkly remarks to himself, scoffing a bit. "That sort of thing." He says as he walks past Taka and Sumi, both were still trapped in their icy prison outside the front door. Of course, Alucard had planned to rip them out and punish them for their betrayal and what they had to her...but when he thought that, Alucard would smack himself and harshly scold himself for even thinking of it. And although he wanted to hung up signs to keep visitors away, he knew full well that this wasn't want she wanted.

She didn't want him to hurt Sumi and Taka, in fact, she didn't want to bring them any harm at all. Nor did she ever want to be closed off from the world. He couldn't do that. Not to her. Never to her. Alucard walks inside the castle and looked up at the main foyer. His heart ached terribly. Fear slowly settled into him that all these thoughts might be a sign that he'll go down the same path as his father.

No...

NO!!

He can't! He can't go down the same path as him. He was not his father. He cannot allow these feelings take over him, even if it had hurt them, he can't ever let these negative feelings win. Miri wouldn't and he wouldn't either. He has to stay strong. For her. Alucard knew that forgiving Sumi and Taka would take a lot of time, as well as trusting anyone else, but he swore to himself that he remain to be the man that Miri fell in love with.

Alucard put the basket on the kitchen table before going up the stairs and towards his bedroom. He opened and closed the door as quietly as he can. Softly approaching the beautiful, peacefully sleeping girl on the bed. "Hello, Miri. I'm back. I'm sorry if I was away too long." He says as he reached over to brush away the hair from her face. Leaning down to plant a kiss on her forehead. Miri had been asleep since last night and has yet to show signs of ever waking up. The only thing that kept Alucard from wallowing in despair was knowing that her heart was still beating. She was alive...but she didn't wake.

Though she was right there in front of him, Alucard missed her so much. Tears fell from his eyes as he held her hand and went his knees. He softly kissed her knuckles and pressed them against his forehead. "My sweet darling... My beloved angel... You were on my mind when I woke up this morning, remembering your smile. I guess the next time I'll see your face will take a little while. I was remembering your arms around me, loving the way they always feel warm with you by my side. I completely feel no harm. I was remembering your voice, makes my heart skip a beat but without you... my whole body's weak. Your charming smile unlocks the door of my heart... Your gentle touch opens the window of my soul. But where are your charming smile and gentle touch now, my love? Believe me, I miss you a lot... I sat alone and thinking of you... Nothing, but you, I need... My heart, my eyes all bleed...Waiting for you... Please come back to me, Miri. Please come back."

Alucard cried for moment. Praying, and wishing his Miri would wake up. Wake up and bring back the colour in his life. Wake up and love him again. Alucard promised her that he'll always protect her and won't allow anything or anyone hurt her ever again. After a while, the blonde-haired dhampir rose to his feet and placed another kiss. This time to her soft lips. "I'll be right back." He says to her. Leaving the room to prepare himself dinner.

 

 

 

Then...moments after he leaves the room, Miri's hands twitch and consciousness slowly returned to her. Miri's brows furrowed as she slowly opened her eyes. She felt so restful, how long had been asleep? That didn't matter. Miri looked around the bedroom and carefully sat up. The very first thing she asked was, "Adrian, where are you?"

Chapter 40: Murder Wakes It Up

Chapter Text

At what point in your life do you find yourself, is there any real meaning to what I'm doing? Am I in the right fighting for people? Do these people need to be saved? Is any joy that can be gained from travelling from town to town, and having adventures as a hunter? Well, these are some of the many questions, Trevor and Sypha have yet to find answers to. The events of Lindenfeld have left lasting scars on their souls, especially the once upbeat and spirited Speaker Magician. She was so full of life and cheer to be travelling alongside Trevor, a man she had grown to love, and experience one exciting adventure after another. But that changed when the people she had promised to protect were the very ones to cause the biggest massacre she had ever seen. Although Miri's people had managed to save a handful of survivors, it didn't change the fact that all of this could've been prevented. It had also left a vile, bitter taste in the couple's mouth that their "employer", the Judge had been nothing more than a sick, twisted child murderer.

As they drive out in their wagon, a new darkness has settled on them. A haunted Sypha rests against Trevor and holds onto his arm. Her mind was in a small state of torment. She had seen and faced horrible things in her lifetime, but never had she ever experienced something so inhumanly evil. "This could not have gone more wrong. What happened?" She asks. How...? How could've things gone so wrong?

Trevor sullenly replies, "We've spent a couple of months living your life. Adventures and victories. And now, we're living my life." This whole time, up until now, they have been living in "Sypha's world", where monster hunting is a thrilling adventure, filled with a righteous sense of victory. Now - for the moment at least - they are living in Trevor's and his family's world: a world where they fight the monsters because they have no other choice, but should know better than to expect any kind of moral clarity, let alone any sense of vindication, where the people they defend are just as vicious and cruel as the monsters they are being saved from. It was then Trevor and Sypha decided to stop being adventurers and focus more heavily on demon-slaying. That's what they decided together as they went down an uncertain path over six weeks. Six weeks of them fighting against demons and living Trevor's way.

It was anyone's guess as to where this will lead them. But even so. Even when you're at the bottom of a dark cavern where you think that there is no way to escape, hope will never abandon you. Trevor and Sypha didn't know it at the time, but their one chance at hope was currently stowed-away in their little carriage. A pair of twins with incredible strength and the power to wield lightning itself, Duke and Selina hide away amongst their supplies. They were members of Miri's clan but were permitted by their Leader to accompany the travelling hunters out of concerns that, what had happened in Lindenfeld, had planted seeds of darkness in their hearts. Out of duty, respect, and love, the twins made it their mission to save them from despair. Though the world is cruel and unfair, kindness and love remain alive. Duke and Selina could only hope they weren't too late while they stayed by their side during their first six weeks of travelling.

Trevor let out a yell as he fell from the sky and broke through the weak tree branches. He manoeuvred his body and used his chained whip to grab hold of a much stronger branch, swinging himself across a forest of dead trees as he was being chased by a hoard of skeleton soldiers. Trevor flipped himself onto another tree and faced the hoard with his sword and whip in hand. The skeletal soldiers let out haunting snarls and hollow screams as they charged at the brown-haired man.

Trevor cracked his whip, easily dispatching the soldiers one by one. Even when fighting at close range, he was able to handle himself against them. He ran along the long branch to gain both distance and room as the soldiers were attempting to gain the upper hand by approaching all at once. He destroyed another with his whip and wrapped it around the branch to swing himself across. He avoided the archer and leapt through the air to destroy two more skeletons before jumping along the tree branches with the remaining hoard giving chase.

In another area of the fight, Sypha used her ice magic to create floating steps for herself as she ran through the air. She was simultaneously keeping the soldiers out of reach and destroying them if they dared to get close. Her eyes caught sight of another archer and barely managed to avoid getting shot at, the arrow grazing her cheek. She leapt off the ice platform and created a giant spiked ice ball, hurling it towards the archer. Upon landing on a branch, she let out a yell. Sending a powerful wind/ice blast from her palm and destroying another soldier.

Sypha let out a gasp when out of the corner of her eye, an axe-wielding skeleton dropped from the sky and chopped the branch she was standing on. Sypha plummeted to the far ground below, crashing through a few branches along the way. She tried to save herself by creating her ice platforms, but she had broken through them as well. Suddenly, glowing chains shot out underneath her and intertwined together to create a makeshift net. Sypha landed safely on the net, gasping for a breath and looked up. Above her, Selina had her hands outstretched and was clenching tightly on the chains that were holding her up. The child let out a sigh of relief. Thankful that she was able to save her in time. Her mismatched eyes glanced up ahead. It mattered not how many they broke apart, the skeletons were endless. They kept rising and put themselves together to continue the fight. And the root of this chaos was the Vampiric necromancer that was controlling them.

Duke charged at the necromancer, his hands were engulfed in electricity. They were surrounded by water, so thinking quickly, the boy slammed his hands against the water's surface. Sending a wave of lightning towards the Vampire. The Vampire let out a hiss and floated into the air, summoning his skeletons to form a wall to protect himself. The lightning struck the skeletons and after convulsing for a moment, were reduced to ash. "Curses...!" Duke spat under his breath. He was about to teleport directly towards the necromancer when two skeletons dropped from behind him and one swung its blade down on him. Duke quickly ducks underneath the sword and grabs at the skull. Crushing it in his hand. He tried to destroy the second but it moved fast and pinned him down by stabbing him in the shoulder. Duke let out a scream as he tried to pry the sword off him. The skeleton gripped the boy by the neck and squeezed it strongly. Cutting off his oxygen.

The Vampire let out another hiss and floated towards the struggling boy. The Vampire snarled as he began to reach out his clawed hand, intending to make a meal out of him. But then, Trevor, with the help of his whip, ran down the side of the tree the Vampire was standing by and made his attack. He flew towards the Vampire and trusted his short sword through his back. Immediately killing him. The Vampire became nothing more than a shrivelled old corpse before he face-planted into the water.

With him dead, there was nothing to control the skeletons anymore. The spell was broken and the soldiers returned to being a pile of bones. Trevor ran towards Duke's side as the bones rained down around them. "Hold still." He tells him. Duke nodded and grit his teeth as Trevor pulled the sword out of his shoulder. Wincing at the sharp pain and pressed his hand against the gaping wound. Sypha and Selina floated down and joined them, grateful that the fight was finally over.

"Big brother!" Selina called out, rushing to her twin. She kneeled at his hand and held the hand that was keeping the blood from spilling. Duke gave her a small reassuring smile as she began to heal him and said, "It's alright, sister. It's not as dire as it appears." Selina stared at her brother with worried-filled eyes and embraced him. Sypha and Trevor walked over to the children and the Speaker Magician brought the twins into a hug while the Vampire Hunter placed his hands on their shoulders. Both were thankful that they were still alive. It was only a few days ago did they discovered that the twins had stowed away in their carriage, and while they were strongly insisting that they go back to their clan and that it would be too dangerous to come along, the twins were adamant that they remain with him. Eventually, the two children wore the adults down and reluctantly allowed them to come along on their travels. It came as no surprise that the couple had become protective over them. Not only because they were still young but because of the bond they had developed back in Lindenfeld.

Sypha gently patted Duke's head when she shot the seasoned Vampire Hunter a stare. "Next time, find somewhere less dangerous to pee, huh?" She asked as Trevor used his cloak to clean his sword.

"Yeah." He breathed out.

And this was only week one.

The week after that, the group stood together in a circle in the pouring down rain. They were in a ruined building with five large, grotesque demons surrounding them. Snarling and growling at them. The twins could've easily killed them with their magic, but they couldn't risk getting Trevor and Sypha caught in the middle. "This isn't my fault." Trevor stated.

"Quite fair. This one's on me. I will make it right." Sypha declared.

"On your own?" Trevor asked. "We're outnumbered, they're bigger than us, and they look quite annoyed."

"You may want to crouch." Spyha said. Just as one of the demons let out a high-pitched scream as they began running towards the group. The twins obeyed the Speaker's words and crouched down. Sypha held her hand close to her and concentrated hard on the many droplets of rain. She focused on the droplets and froze every single one of them before shifting them around her and her group, creating a razor-sharp ice ring. As soon as she created it, the demons were instantly stopped in their tracks as their stomachs were cut into the ring. Unable to move. With a wave of her hand, Sypha commanded the ring to spin rapidly and tore into the flesh and bones of the demons, slicing them cleanly in half. Now that the threat had been dealt with, Sypha dropped her magic hold on the ice. Letting it return to its natural state of water, sending it and the corpses crashing down as the rain fell upon them. The now four hunters glanced around, making sure that the demons were indeed dead and there weren't any more surprises. Duke and Selina looked back to the ruined building and ran towards it, not hearing Trevor calling out to them as they made their way to one of the archways.

The twins looked through the archway and Selene turned back to the two grownups of the group. "Lord Belmont! Lady Sypha, come look!" She called out. "It appears to be a portrait of a man." Duke said. "Could this be why the Night Creatures made their attack on us?" Trevor and Sypha rejoined them and when they looked, they almost paled at the sight. It wasn't just a portrait of any man. It was a picture of Dracula, the Vampire King.

"Where did they get that?" Trevor questioned.

"Perhaps it washed out of the castle at Braila." Sypha said. "No wonder these creatures were so angry."

"We disturbed them while they were praying to it."

"Praying to it?" Duke asked. Momentarily confused as to why the Night Creatures were praying to a painting unless it was-. The twins' eyes widened at the realisation as they looked back at the painting. Now they understood and knew who he was. They'd always heard the stories, but this was the first time they'd ever seen a genuine picture of him.

Three Weeks

In an old, abandoned church. A place where it was meant to be a place of safety, salvation and hope, was now being used as a place for one to conduct his dark, satanic ritual. The vampire had taken five humans to become his sacrificial lambs, eager to kill them and use their blood to bring forth a greater threat than he. He held one man by the neck, choking him as he stood in front of a large stoned slate with ancient, green-glowing texts written along with a strange symbol etched in the middle. The man gripped at the Vampire's strong grip, desperately trying to escape, but it proved useless. The four other humans didn't bother to stand up and help him. The Vampire made quick to beat them all into submission and condemn them to death. As the Vampire tightened his grip on the man's neck, the other hostages closed their eyes and turned away. Not wanting to see what was about to come.

The Vampire threw up his hand, holding it out like a blade. Just as he was about to pierce it through the man's body, a chain shot out and tightly wrapped itself around his wrist. He turned his head and glared in annoyance. Trevor, Sypha and the twins had arrived just in time to stop him. With great strength, Trevor pulled hard on his Morning Star, forcing the Vampire to drop the man and bring him right to the Hunter. Sypha ignited her hand ablaze and swiped at one of the wooden pews. Tearing off a piece, a makeshift stake, and had it fly right into Trevor's hand. With one more pull, Trevor dragged the Vampire closer to him. The Vampire let out a yell as he tried to attack him, but Trevor acted fast and buried the stake straight through the Vampire's heart. The sharp end poked out from his back. The Vampire wheezed and wretched as his blood stained Trevor's hand. Immediately, the Vampire's life came to an end and became a dried-up corpse.

Duke and Selina ran over to the hostages and began to examine and heal them for any injuries. Sypha glanced up at the stoned slate when Trevor tossed the corpse on the ground and, curious about the context, went over to analyse it. She read the inscriptions on the wall and said, "It's a spell. Murder wakes it up."

"What kind of spell?" Trevor asked.

"Resurrection. It wouldn't have worked. It's missing parts. But he would have killed these people to try." Sypha said, disgusted that the Vampire would take innocent lives for something that would never even work in the first place. It would've all been for nothing.

"And the other thing?" Trevor asked her.

"A sigil. Sort of a magical code. It will have the name of the person he was trying to bring back from the dead." Sypha says as she reads the spell further. Trevor let out a groan. Pinching the bridge of the nose he already felt a headache coming through. "Oh, let me guess." He said, already knowing what the answer was going to be.

"It decodes as Vlad Dracula Tepes." Sypha said.

"Why the fuck would anyone do that?" Trevor questioned, extremely annoyed. And rightfully so as there were still a few assholes here and there that were trying their damnedest to bring the all-powerful Dracula back from the dead. Especially after he and his comrades went through hell just to kill him. He turned his attention to the hostages and directed the question to them. "Hmm? Would you do that?" They quickly shook their heads 'no'. "No, of course not." Selina said. "Never in God's holy name." Duke stated.

"Oh, exactly. God, this is getting on my nerves. I wish I could fucking kill you twice!" Trevor shouted in anger-mixed frustration at the dead body.

Two Weeks

"Aaugh!!" Selina screamed as she was launched through the air. Getting lost within the large, burning wheatfield. Duke dodged the various attacks of the evil goblin-like creatures they had stumbled upon this time and called down the lightning. Incinerating them to ash. "Sister!" Duke called out, trying to go after her before ducking out of the way, barely avoiding one creature's sharp claws from tearing out his eyes.

"Shit!" Sypha, unexpectedly cursed as she avoided a goblin's axe. More goblins jumped from out of the wheatfield as they tried to overwhelm Trevor with their small sizes and large numbers. But with quick reflexes in both swipes with a blade and avoiding the sneaks, the Hunter swiftly cut them down. Only for him to turn to Sypha in complete surprise. "What did you just say?"

"I said, "shit," okay?" Sypha tells him. She turned around and unleashed a stream of fire towards a much larger goblin. It sprung from above the wheatfield in an attempt to catch Sypha off guard, but the Speaker Magician raised her hand and blasted the fire stream straight through the creature's body.

"Yes, it's just that you never, you know, curse." Trevor says. Cutting down a few more before kicking one in the ribs, sending it flying away from him. The amount of fighting against so many of the creatures was beginning to chip away at Trevor's limits. Exhaustion was setting in as he hunched over, trying to regain some oxygen in his lungs before another creature snarled at him. Selina shot out of the field and got in between them. She grabbed hold of the creature's head, kneeing it hard in the stomach before looping around it until she was on its back, then the girl snapped its neck.

"This...is a stressful circumstance. It's understandable to express your frustrations in a manner, Lady Sypha." Selina says, wanting to give consolation to the older woman.

"I never used to, and then all this happened. And then you happened." Sypha then shouted, shooting a glare into her lover's way.

"Me?!" Trevor questioned as he cut another creature in half. Offended that he was to blame for her personality change.

"Yes, you! I was nice! And then I met you, and now I'm like you." Sypha stated.

"Oh, so it's my fault."

"It's no one's fault...!" Duke said, grabbing a creature and holding it in the air while electrocuting it. He kicks the creature's corpse away, slamming it against its demon comrades. Selina rushes at a small hoard of creatures and jumps into the air. Sending a surge of electricity into their heads, causing them to explode in a grand spectacle. "Lady Sypha, it's okay. Anyone would curse during these times of conflict."

"You two stay out of this! It's all his fault! He did this to me!" Sypha shouted at the children. Making them flinch back. They'd never seen her this angry before, so it scared them a little.

"I found you turned into a statue in a fucking tomb!" Trevor shouted.

"Lord Belmont..!" "Please, stop arguing..! This isn't helping anything!" The twins shouted, pleading for the adults to stop the senseless fight between themselves.

"And climbed all over me, and since that moment everything has been shit and-." Sypha said but was cut off when another goblin-like creature lunged from behind her and practically roared in her ear, making her temper fly off its hinges. "Aah! I am fucking talking here!" She shouted. She lifted both her arms and unleashed powerful flames and incinerated three of the creatures to ashes, sending the flames far across the field. The twins, frightened by Sypha's scary temper, ran towards Trevor and hid behind him. "And you turned me into someone who says "shit."" Sypha tells the Hunter. Frustrated with the constant fighting and bad luck, Sypha goes on a swear-word-laced tirade. "Fuckity shit hairy arse-warts giant slimy balls! Shit!"

One Week

A week passed after Sypha's meltdown and battle in the wheatfield, and for the most part, she had returned to her normal self. She was extremely apologetic to the twins, both for her temper and for scaring them in general. Duke and Selina were very understanding and reassured her that everything was alright. She had been through a lot the past few weeks and knew she didn't truly mean the things she said. She also apologised to Trevor and they slowly reconciled. Everything had been calm between the four of them.

However, this time, things were more haunting than the battles between Vampires and demons. A group of zealots had captured and tied up various people. They had the adults tied up and on the ground while they savagely beat them down with the wooden clubs. One woman looked up and out of fear and desperation, tried to stand up and run. But one zealot rushed up from behind and slammed her back down. Across from the adults, five children were in a line and had their hands bound behind their backs. Fear was frozen on their tear-stained faces. One child saw his mother fall to the ground and tried to go to her, but one of the zealots struck his back, forcing him to stay in line. Helplessly watched as the children's parents got beaten down again and again. Unable to protect them.

The zealots dragged a little girl to the front and forced her down on her knees in front of a stoned shrine. The little girl looked up and shuddered at the ghastly sight before her. One of the zealots came in and used his club to force the girl down, leaving her head to lie on the cold, stone platform. Her eyes were locked on the haunting statue of a tall skeleton wearing a long hooded cloak, and large wings and holding a scythe over its head as well as she looked at the executioner. The Executioner looked down at the child with cold, lifeless eyes as he raised his large crescent-shaped spear high. She cried uncontrollably as she begged God- for anyone- to come and save her and her family from this madness.

Just as the Executioner was about to bring down the spear, the blade began to glow a bright orange colour, then within seconds the spear was set ablaze and the fire reduced the weapon into scrap, burning the Executioner's hands. Causing him to scream out in pain. The rest of the zealots turned around and saw Trevor, Sypha, Duke and Selina running from the dark forest and right towards them.

"Human sacrifice really is back in fashion." Sypha said.

"Do we think this is about Dracula again?" Trevor asked.

"I think these people are just out of their minds," Sypha stated, summoning small balls of fire between her fingers.

"And so we're not going to try and reason with them," Trevor said, readying his Morning Star whip.

Sypha placed her hands down and knelt just enough for the flames to launch her into the air. "No!" She shouted angrily. Using the flames, she blasted herself down to one of the zealots and slammed him down with her foot. Rolling to soften her landing, she set her eyes on her next opponent. "They were going to murder children!" She shouted, igniting her hand.

"Anyone who dares to try and kill an innocent child," Duke shouted as he and Selina summoned their chains to their hands, charging at the zealots. "Are devils from the depths of Hell!" Selina finished. The twins teleport in a flash of electricity and appear in front of two of the zealots. Duke stuns the one with an axe kick and then delivers a roundhouse to his head, dislocating his jaw entirely. He then slams his head into his knee with enough force to shatter his skull. Selina wrapped her chain around the other's neck and flipped over his head. She pulled him down on his back, snapping his spine and decapitating him.

"Kids, lay down flat. Now!" Trevor ordered the children and he raised his weapon. The four other children quickly obeyed and ducked down. The whip flew through the air and struck two of the zealots in the head, knocking out a few teeth along the way. Two had tried to fight Spyha, but she quickly put them down with a few good shots with her fire and left one to burn to death. Trevor meanwhile avoided a fatal stab to the abdomen and subdued him by gouging out his eye and through the head with the end of the Morning Star tip. He killed the other just easily with one good kick and wrapping his whip around his neck, choking him out for a few moments before breaking his neck. His biggest challenge came with the Executioner. He was much larger and stronger than the others, so he was able to grab Trevor by the throat and lift him in the air, knocking his whip from his hand. With just a single hand, he raised him off his feet and squeezed tightly around his throat. All while spreading a wide, crazed smile. Trevor pounded on his arm and kicked at him to try to escape, but the Executioner was too strong. As the Executioner tightened his grip around Trevor's throat, the Hunter could hear his heart beating loudly in his ears as his vision was starting to become black.

Slowly losing oxygen. Slowly losing consciousness.

But then, with a surge of adrenaline, Trevor snapped his eyes wide open. He swung his leg over the Executioner and raised his arm. Bringing it down and snapping the bone of the Executioner's arm, bringing him face to face. And now that he was close, Trevor shot his hands out and dug his thumbs deep into the Executioner's eyes. Gouging them out and killing him at in instead. Trevor cleaned his hands on the man's sash as he breathed heavily. Trying to get enough air back into his lungs.

Trevor looked over to his comrades and watched them free the hostages from their binds. Burned the ropes of one of the mothers, and once she was finally free, she didn't hesitate to run towards her child and bring him in her arms. Sypha stayed where she sat as she smiled. Happily and filled with peace, she saw the families rush to one another. Hugging and crying now that they were safe again. Sypha was happy, knowing she and the others had managed to save them. And that was enough for her. Afterwards, as the families thanked them all for saving them and left to return home, the group stood in front of the shrine where the zealots were placing their faith. Looking up at the statue they seemed to worship.

"What's that thing?" Sypha asked.

"I've only seen drawings in books. He has a lot of names. Most often, he's called the Grim Reaper. Or just Death." Trevor says.

"He's actually Death?" Sypha asked. "I mean, this is what Death looks like? Because I was hoping for something nicer."

"We've always believed Death has many faces, depending on the souls for which he comes for." Selina says. Duke nodded his head in agreement. "But perhaps, this statue is Death's true face?"

"Nah. Just people from an earlier time trying to understand what they were seeing." Trevor says as he raises his hand and taps at the skull's cheek. "There are elemental beings that just feed on things in nature. He's not Death. He just eats death."

"So this is just a shrine to him, you think? People who still think this is Death itself?" Sypha asks.

"Paying tribute. Maybe in the hope that he can give Dracula back to them." Trevor answers. Although it could be just speculation, with the amount of influence Dracula has placed upon the world during his rampage of destruction, it seemed to make the most sense. "Don't get me wrong. He's supposed to be lethal. But he's not the sort of power who can reach into Hell and pull someone out. The whole world's gone crazy."

"And this big stone?" Sypha inquired, looking down at the platform they were all standing on.

"Flagstone. Must have been prized up from a town square somewhere."

"What's the nearest place that would have flagstones in their square?" Sypha asked as the group made their leave. They didn't know it at the time, but in their final week of travelling together, the group would soon find themselves in an old, long-abandoned and decrepit city. A city where history spoke volumes about the pain, the madness. The massacre of its citizens. A place where the nightmares first took place. Where the people had made a grave mistake in killing a King's most dearly beloved.

The city of Targoviste.

Chapter 41: Time to Heal, Time of Need

Chapter Text

Targoviste

After six long weeks of fighting, Trevor, Sypha, Duke and Selina arrive in Targoviste. It was a hellish place they had walked into. It was as if the city was frozen in time. No life. Not a sound was heard. Everything in what was once a grand capital was now reduced to a ghost town with nothing but a cold, empty pressure lingering in the air. After the initial slaughter of its citizens, the city was devastated by this attack and it remained under the control of vampires and other night creatures from that day onward. However, in a great miracle from God, there were only a small handful of survivors. The Humans lived in fear every day as they sought shelter by staying inside secure buildings and other hiding places. Away from the prying eyes of the demons of the night. Something the group of travellers learned very quickly. In one such building, a small lantern lit up a darkened hallway as a young man clad in a knight's uniform laid against the stone wall. He could barely breathe, much less speak as he held onto his freshly slit throat. He had barely managed to survive but had no idea if he would live long enough to see tomorrow. All he could do was look down at the hall where the others had taken. Going deep below, a small trail of corpses littered the ground. Their blood splattered against the walls. They had left no one alive.

Selina flipped through the air and with a yell, brought down her leg to deliver a powerful kick to a Vampire's head. Her heel came slamming down on the crown of his head, making the Vampire's eyes go wide and he felt the force behind the kick wrack inside his skull. The Vampire was disoriented for a moment before he swung up his sword, attempting to cut the child in half, but Selina used his head as leverage and jumped out of the way before the blade could make contact. As she jumped away, Trevor came rushing in with his short sword and engaged the Vampire in a sword fight. As they battled, Sypha and Duke fought against the Vampire's duel-wielding partner, shooting out fire and electricity at him while avoiding his swing blades. Trevor gripped his sword and tried to rapidly strike at the Vampire he was fighting, but after quickly dodging and deflecting his sword, the Vampire raised his long blade and forced the sword out of Trevor's hand. Sending far away from his reach. The Vampire delivered a solid punch to Trevor's face, knocking him back against a rack of spears. The Vampire raised his sword to kill the Hunter. Trevor quickly grabbed a spear to defend himself, resulting in it getting easily cut in half by the Vampire.

Selina jumped in and grabbed one of the Vampire's arms, forcing him down to her level. Selina glared at him before holding up his arm in a vice-like grip and crushed it. Ripping his flesh and shattering his bones, nearly twisting it off. The Vampire let out a guttural scream as the pain shot through his nerves. Selina's eyes glowed hot white and was about to unleash her electricity when the Vampire threw his head back and slammed it against hers. Selina let out a cry as blood trickled down her forehead. Sypha heard her scream and immediately created a block of ice and fired it at the Vampire. Striking him hard against the back of his head. That was more than enough for Trevor and Selina to escape him. Sypha and Duke's opponent raised his twin swords to kill them both, but they acted fast and leapt into the air with their respective magic just in time for Trevor to rush in and use the broken pieces of the spear and block the attack. Trevor forced apart the Vampire's arms and the two fought in a duel-wielding match. While they were fighting, Sypha and Duke were hanging off the archway of the room. Sypha glanced over at another rack of spears and got an idea.

She brought up her hand with a small fire sphere above her fingers and pointed at the rack. Immediately, the tips of the spears glowed bright orange and were becoming extremely hot. The Vampire that Trevor was fighting earlier had regained his focus and shook his head, trying to clear his mind as he used his good arm to shake away the spears that had fallen on him. He spotted Sypha and Duke up near the wooden beams and grabbed his sword, charging in to attack. Sypha changed the gesture of her hands and created a solid wall of ice behind the ignited spears and the sudden temperature change caused them to shake uncontrollably. As the Vampire let out a yell and leapt to attack the Speaker Magician and the Gypsie boy, the ice behind the spears exploded. Causing the spears to fly out and stab him. Stabbing him through his heart, arm, and leg as he was pinned against the wall.

Trevor kept his battle with the final Vampire. Both seemed to be evenly matched, but Trevor, with a well-placed kick to the stomach and a good swipe at the Vampire's body, was able to get the upper hand by stabbing him in the leg. Trevor readjusted his grip on the broken parts of the spear and stabbed at the Vampire's chest, after yanking it out of him, the Vampire let out a yell and brought down his swords. But Trevor quickly stepped behind him and stabbed him through his heart. Killing him immediately. The battle was over and the Hunter held on to his side as he could finally stop to catch his breath. Sypha and the twins quickly joined his side. "This is getting harder." The Speaker Magician said.

"Really?" Trevor asked, sarcastically. "I hadn't noticed over the sound of all my muscles and bones screaming. Oh, God." He and Sypha then shared a look before the young woman spread a kind smile and reached up to give him a loving pat on the head. "You'll live." She told him as the couple leaned against each other.

"God, I hope so." Trevor said. The two were nearly toppled over but laughed as the twins jumped and wrapped their arms around them. They hugged the children back, smiling at them as Selina said, "As long as we are together and fight as one," "We shall always prevail and live on to see the rising sun." Duke finished. Trevor and Sypha couldn't help but nod their heads at the children. Despite everything that's happened, they remained hopeful. Seeing their smiles helped ease their ever-growing disquiet over the past six weeks. The group shared a big, warm hug before separating. "What were they even looking for down here? They can't need more weapons." Sypha says as she walks around the room, glancing at the weapons displays.

Trevor cleaned the blood off Selina's forehead before walking over to get back his short sword and noticed a rack filled with weapons, but these seemed different from the others. "This stuff." He says as he walked over to the rack and knelt. "A lot of it is a good deal older. Hmm." His eye caught sight of a short sword with inscriptions on the blade and a gold and green hilt. He picked up the blade and brought it close for him to smell it. "This stinks of magic. They were looking for tools." Trevor said, turning to his group. A heavy atmosphere fell upon them. These Vampires, moments before they entered the city, Trevor and the others were chasing after them as they were adamant in search of something. And now they knew why. The Vampires had killed the people inside this secure building looking for magical tools.

A look of guilt and shame fell on Sypha's face as she gazed down on the victims. Wondering just how many people they had allowed to die. She held her arms as she solemnly said, "If we hadn't lost track of them, these people would all still be alive." Duke and Selina went to her side and pressed a hand against her back. Doing their best to comfort her.

"Yeah." Trevor said.

"This is where you're supposed to say that it's not our fault, Trevor." Sypha commented.

"It's not. But if we weren't so tired after six weeks of this shit," The Hunter says as he rose back to his feet. He groaned a bit as he held his side. "They would've had a better chance. Oh, God." They've spent another full month and 12 days fighting against demons, insane zealous worshipers and everything else in between of nonstop hardships with barely any rest. He honestly couldn't be bothered to blame himself at this point. The seasoned Hunter glanced back down at the magic blade in his hand and, thinking it would be a valuable weapon, slipped it inside a hidden compartment in his armoured cuff. He let out a sigh. "Right. We need to find somewhere safe to sleep."

"And take tomorrow to rest and think all this through." Sypha added. She smiled down at the two children and held their hands. Guiding their way as the group began to leave the underground armoury. "Hmm. I don't get it." Trevor began to say with a chilling glare. "We killed Dracula. And now we have to spend the rest of our lives making sure nobody brings him back from the dead? This is not what I agreed to." As they reached the exit, they stopped at the soldier who was slumped against the wall. His blank, lifeless eyes stared at nothing as the blood seeped out of his wound. Trevor kneeled before him reached out, and closed his eyes. He wasn't big on religion, but Trevor and Sypha hoped that with everything that happened, he and his men would sleep peacefully in their eternal rest. Duke and Selina kneeled at the entrance of the building and began to pray for the souls of the people who had lost their lives. Praying that God's angels would come a guide them to the warm light of his Kingdom. With that done, the group made their way out and walked through the dark, empty streets of the city.

"This is where it all started, isn't it? Targoviste." Sypha asked.

 

While the group walked out into the city, they were unaware of the pair of eyes that were watching them from above a tall tower. Two Vampires stood on the top of the tower with one night creature snarling loudly as it crawled up the walls along with another to watch the travellers with the Vampires. One of them, a tall man with long hair, wearing somewhat tattered clothing and a stubble on his chin glared daggers at Trevor and angrily questioned, "Is that bastard wearing the Belmont crest?" He leaned forward to get a better look. "He is. And that's a Speaker Magician with him. Those two little brats, I don't know who they are but I can smell their magic from here."

"And Sladek and Ivan didn't come out." His partner beside him stated. He had a more muscular and corpulent constitution, with pale grey skin, and short hair and his most prominent feature was his violet eyes. He was of Russian descent, and he wore the clothing of his country; he wore a black ushanka on his head, a long light brown thermal jacket, a dark blue collared shirt underneath, light brown pants and black boots.

"I know that. I've got eyes." The long-haired Vampire snapped at him.

"Shh." The Russian Vampire went.

"This isn't fair." The long-haired Vampire said as he began to pace around the platform. "I was one of Dracula's first loyal followers. He was going to give me everything. And I was close. So close to fixing it all. But now I have to deal with a Belmont, a mad magician and two bloody children?!"

"Varney, we need to go." His partner tells him.

"Go where?" Varney questioned. "This is where I'm supposed to be. At the start of the war, I came here to take Targoviste and give it to Dracula as a gift. Why is everyone making it so fucking hard? Don't they know who I am?"

"No." His partner said.

"I'm Varney. Night Mayor of London, Terror of the British Isles, king vampire cocksman of all Europe. And I don't have to put up with this." Varney declares as he stomps his way to the edge of the tower and motions his hand to shoo his partner away and for him to get going. "Go, go. Back to the nest." He tells him before glaring at the group of travellers and baring his fangs. "I'll have them all for my fucking dinner."

 

 

Dracula's Castle

The sky overhead was cast with heavy, grey clouds. So thick that no sunlight could penetrate it. Though the sounds of crows could be heard cawing, sadly no other sound could heard from the forest. At least none that she could hear. Miri glanced out of one of the windows of the castle before putting on a warm shawl and stepping outside. She paused to take a deep breath. Taking in the fresh air of the forest and the clear air. It had been some time since she had been outside. Though she had been asleep for three days, Miri found herself unable to fully move herself without assistance and was practically bedridden. She wasn't sure if the spell had truly worked or not, though she was alive, it didn't prove that she was now immortal, but she thought that maybe because she had suffered a form of trauma, the spell had an adverse side effect on her body that caused her to be physically weak.

She thought she was okay now, but the one she was so worried about was her beloved Alucard. And the cause of it all was staring right at her. Miri swallowed a lump in her throat as she made her way down the steps, stopping until she was standing in front of the frozen cages of Sumi and Taka. Regardless of their betrayal, her heart still broke for them. But it had to be done. Even if she were to free them now, they were going to try and attack them again. Ever since their first attack and her waking up again, Alucard has been overly protective of her. He never left her side longer than five minutes, overthinking every little thing, and often looked at her as if she were a glass doll. More than that, every time she would try and lighten the mood, the smiles and laughter he would give never held the same light as they did before. Miri didn't like it. She didn't like how he had to smile for her sake. She didn't like how he had to be happy for her sake. She had tried to talk to him but he was always telling her that he was okay. But she knew that was a lie. He was still clearly very troubled by the incident, but he refused to speak to her about it. She's scared of how long it'll be before he reaches his limit. They needed to talk. She has to help in any way she could, so she may see his bright smile again.

Returning her attention to Sumi and Taka, Miri closed her eyes and reached out her hand. A small glowing orb appeared in her palm and it floated to her former students. Going through the thick blocks of ice and into Sumi's and Taka's chest. Soon, Miri breathed a sigh of relief. They were still alive. Miri never intended to kill them. She only wanted to trap them and place them in a sleep-like state inside the ice. Miri brought her hands together and began to chant her spell. A magic circle surrounded the two blocks of ice, sending white rays of light outward and scaling its surroundings. "Let this door take you to Japan when I say the words "Go home". Where you stand is not where you wish to be. My thoughts and desires pull you elsewhere. Stand where you long to be. My wish and my will is to set you free once again. This wish I will all of my heart." Miri said as tears ran down her cheeks. The light shattered the ice and Sumi and Taka immediately awoke from their slumber. Before they could speak or do anything, the magic circle beneath them created a portal to a forest located in their homeland. Wherever they land, Miri would guide them to safety. "This is my final wish for you. Go home." She said. Immediately, Sumi and Taka had fallen through the portal. And back in Japan. The portal closed and the light vanished.

Miri sniffed as she reached up to dry her tears when the doors of the castle slammed open. She let out a startled gasp and saw Alucard rushing towards her with a worried expression. "Miri! I saw light from inside and I - What happened?! Are you hurt? What's making you cry?!" He frantically asked as he took her in his arms and cupped her cheek. Miri quickly shook her head. "No, no. Please do not worry yourself, my dear, I'm perfectly fine...I...." She paused to take a breath, clearing her eyes from her tears. "I had just sent Sumi and Taka home. They...won't be coming back. Hopefully."

"They're gone?" Alucard asked. He turned his head and only then noticed the two missing blocks of ice that held their former students. So...they were gone, huh? Finally. A dark look appeared in his golden eyes as he stared at the empty spots. "They're gone....and so they'll never hurt you again." He said, muttering to himself. Miri looked up at her lover with slight shock. She had never seen him with such an expression before. Not even during their fight with Dracula. "Adrian-."

"Ah!" Alucard went as he turned back to his beloved snowdrop. With a forced smile. "I'm sorry, my darling. I'm alright, I was talking to myself." He said. Reaching down to grasp her hand. "Are you sure you are alright? You're not too tired, are you?"

"Adrian, I-."

"Was there something you wanted to do today? I think there is a quiet spot near the river for us to relax in." He said, staring off and pointing in the direction of the place he mentioned.

"Adrian."

"Or we could go see your garden. I've been doing my best to tend it so I hope it's still thriving. We can do whatever you like."

"Adrian, please! Stop!" Miri grabbed his face, brought him down and held him in place to look him straight in the eye. She let out a sigh. "...Please, just stop for a moment. And just...talk to me. Don't run away anymore." She lowered her hands to grip his. Letting him know she was being serious. "I understand, Adrian. Truly I do....But please, stop it. Stop forcing yourself to smile, laugh and be happy. It's not right. Especially when you know you are hurting inside. I know you're worried and want to protect me...I wish to protect you as well, but you cannot see me so fragile. I'm strong. I'm right here. I survived. And Sumi and Taka are far away from us. But tell me what is wrong, so I may know how to help you."

Alucard stared at her with wide eyes. He felt his heart gnawing away at him and hung his head. He should've seen this coming. This whole time, Alucard had been doing everything he could to make Miri happy again, to make sure she was comfortable, safe and loved. But he had been so afraid and untrustworthy of those outside the castle walls. To put it simply, he had been traumatised by both the betrayal by Sumi and Taka and almost losing Miri, his sole reason for living, forever. He had fallen into darkness for a short time, but it was enough to make him realise how easy it was for him to fall. He didn't want to go back to that place and tried to suppress everything by putting his focus on Miri. When she had awoken, he felt life returned to him and wanted to return to the life they had. But he should've realised how much he was smothering her by being so overprotective. How much she had been worried about him whenever he faked his smiles. How she had tried to speak with him before but would brush the topic away. When did he become so pathetic? Miri set her hand under his chin and tilted his face back to her. He sighed.

"I'm sorry...."

"Just speak your troubles with me. We're meant to marry. We are meant to provide support whenever we need it." Miri tells him. She took a step and wrapped her arms around him. Alucard welcomed her embrace and rested his cheek on her head. "I was so...so scared. Seeing you...laying on the floor. Motionless... I thought I was going to lose you. I thought my life would be over. I just...couldn't find myself to forgive them for what they did to us. What they did to you. I don't ever want to experience that again. I don't want ever lose you, Miri. Without you, I'm-." Alucard cut himself off as he choked back a sob. Holding Miri tightly against him. It terrified him to no end at what could've been. How he would end up becoming if he couldn't hold her like this anymore.

"Were you thinking of your father?" Miri asked gently.

"....Yes."

She nodded in understanding. "You mentioned that before. How lonely your father must've been before meeting your mother. Did you think you might become like him?" She felt him give a nod. Miri pulled away just a bit so she could look at his face. "It's okay to have those kinds of fears, but you mustn't allow them to consume you. You are not like your father and you'll never be like him. Your humanity is much stronger and kinder than that you'll find the courage to keep walking the road ahead towards a brighter tomorrow." She tells him. "I was scared that as well. I was scared that I would never see you again. Like you, I cannot imagine living a life without you in it. Sumi and Taka's betrayal was painful and merciless. But we're still alive. We're still here to hold and love another."

"But what about the next who comes to our doorstep? How can either of us be so sure they won't mean us any harm?"

"We don't. No matter our power, we cannot foresee the future. Adrian, you do not have to forgive right away, but you can't let yourself believe others will be the same as them. Humans are very complicated creatures, but not all think alike. After all, didn't you fight to save humanity, because you believed some are like your mother?"

"I... Yes... My mother was human, but she had strong ambitions and was brave enough to bang on my father's door." Alucard said, chuckling when he remembered that story. Miri smiled brightly. That was an honest laugh for once. "Despite everything, she never once stopped loving humanity."

"The world is often cruel. That is a fact that will live on. But just as there is cruelty, the beauty of this world still exists. We just have to find it." Miri tells him. "We'll take things slow. We have time to heal. Time to communicate. Time to trust again. Do not worry about the future, my love. We will overcome this, together."

For the first time in a long while, Alucard spread a genuine smile and she swore she saw the light returning to his eyes. "I am forever grateful to have you in my life. You're right...as usual." He said. The two stared into each other's eyes and slowly leaned forward. Miri went to stand on her toes and bring Alucard closer when she noticed something in the distance. She looked over at the corner of her eye and lightly gasped, making Alucard turn to see for himself. They saw a black horse approaching from the forest with a deceased rider on his back.

"Oh my goodness!" Miri cried out as she rushed to the rider's side with Alucard following close behind. The rider had visibly large clawed marks on his body, his left side looked to have been nearly bitten off, and small chunks of his left arm and leg were missing. His hand was tightly gripping the horse's reins and had a thin rope wrapped around it. "He must've been attacked by a night creature. These wounds are fresh." Miri said as Alucard picked up the rider's hand and removed it from the reins. "Where do you suppose he came from?"

"Perhaps this might answer our questions." Alucard said. He had flipped the man's hand around and discovered a small rolled-up piece of paper. Alucard slipped the paper out of the loosened rope and unravelled it to reveal a message. A message that was directed to him.

"'To the Alucard of the castle.' For God's sake. Why I am "The Alucard" now?" The golden-haired Dhampir questioned.

"I do wonder where that started." Miri said, confused about the title as he was. Alucard just shook his head and continued reading. "To the Alucard of the castle. We, the people of Danesti, beg your aid. Night creatures, vampires and terrible demons assault us, and we know not why. Our defences weaken and our numbers dwindle. Please, sir, save our souls. ...Save our souls."

The Romani girl glanced behind the paper and blinked. "There's a map here as well." She grabbed Alucard's hands to move them to hold it up for her. "Danesti... Hmm, it appears to be twenty miles away from here." Miri turned her gaze to the deceased rider and became crestfallen. No doubt this man had been attacked by said night creatures but kept going just to bring them this letter. Alucard gave Miri a comforting hug before walking over taking the rider off the horse's back and laying him down on the ground.

"There others like him out there." Miri said. "Adrian. We have to help them."

"...I know. And we will." Alucard tells her. They both nodded in silent agreement at what they needed to do and made necessary preparations. Alucard found a rather peaceful spot in their area and gave the rider a proper burial while Miri tended to the horse. Giving him fresh water and food after such a long journey. When Alucard returned, the two headed back inside the castle and got everything they needed. Alucard with his long sword and equipping himself with a shield and Miri gathered her medical bag and put on her hooded cloak. Once they were ready, they got on the horse's back and rode off into the night. Following the map straight towards Danesti.