Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warnings:
Categories:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
R's HP, R's Favourites
Stats:
Published:
2020-02-06
Updated:
2021-06-05
Words:
60,746
Chapters:
21/?
Comments:
184
Kudos:
389
Bookmarks:
104
Hits:
12,672

Let the Sunlight In

Summary:

(Because I'm a total slut for the whole Ice King/Sunshine Queen trope.)

Evangeline Rosier was never meant to be a part of the war. Hell, she wasn’t even supposed to be alive. But when she's pulled out of hiding and back to England she can't help but jump right into battle. Forging friendships and battling death eaters along the way, Evie falls in with a mismatched group of friends that she can't help but to love. But when fate comes knocking will she be able to give the former Death Eater a chance?

Lucius Malfoy doesn't deserve a second chance, at least that's what he tells himself of every time he looks in the mirror. But, following his wife's death and his son's disinheritance, he knows what he must do to keep the Malfoy name alive. Little does he realize how much life is waiting for him beyond the walls of the manor.

Pushed together by the gods themselves and surrounded by a bunch of lovable idiots who just want the best for them, how can these two not fall ridiculously in love? Starring a whole host of characters and a shit ton of shenanigans, this fic is bound to get a little chaotic.

*Updated when I'm in need of dick and my vibrator's dead. Fucking sue me.*

Notes:

I have no earthy idea where this story is going because I'm an insomniac who can't sleep and daydreams of the day some rich & beautiful bachelor will inevitably sweep me off my feet. If you like it leave some love, if not keep it to yourself because I'm a sensitive little crybaby with who's scared of being a disappointment.

FYI, I've written the first 10 chapters (not including the two-part prologue) so I'm gonna plan on posting a chapter weekly and see how this goes.

*I don’t own anything recognizable*

Chapter 1: Prologue: Part I

Chapter Text

Prologue: Part I

July 19th, 1998

 

He’d left after the funeral. Packed up his bags after his mother was laid to rest in the Malfoy family mausoleum. Laid a bouquet of her own white roses at the door and disappeared with the resounding crack of apparition. Unaware that his father watched from the shadows, slumped against the old cherry tree at the edge of the graveyard, empty bottle of firewhiskey leaning haphazardly against his leg. Drunk in his sorrows and invisible to the world. Mourning the woman they’d lost. The woman he hadn’t really ever known.

He had stayed there through the night, and long after the sun had climbed over the horizon. Staring at the doors to the tomb unblinking. As if his wife would suddenly decide to walk back out. He had watched as his son had broken down in tears on the steps, mourning for his mother and clinging desperately to the roses he’d laid before the imposing grey building. Listened while the blond boy apologized to the dead woman laid to rest behind the solid oak doors. His heart broke as he watched his only son then stand up and sever his family ties. Reaching to the very center of his magic to cut the tendrils that bound them together. All he could do was watch while his son shut himself off from the only family he’d ever known. The only family he had left. From him, his father. 

Family, afterall,  was everything to Lucius Malfoy, and to feel his son mutilate his magic like that, just to get away from him, was devastating. The war had not been kind to the man, and losing a bit of his reputation and prestige had been the very least of it. Those things could be fixed and manipulated with very little effort. But watching Narcissa slowly succumb to the curse Voldemort had managed to hit her with for her betrayal, was pure agony. The fact that it hadn’t appeared until after Wizengamot had declared them innocent of all charges, thanks to a weighted testimony from each member of the golden trio, made it that much more agonizing. With the barest taste of freedom, not even halfway out of the ministry, she’d collapsed in her husband’s arms. Draco had taken it the hardest, after everything he’d done to protect his mother from the brutality of the dark lord, everything the boy had sacrificed while Lucius had resided in Azkaban, and failing to be able to do anything to help her now was too much for him to take. Turning to an assortment of vices did nothing to ease that pain as she quietly slipped further and further away from them.

Lucius had carried on, remaining cold and collected throughout her sickness. Comforting her in the privacy of her rooms and wishing he could be the one to bear it instead. He was the one who’d brought this shame upon their family, the reason for her pain. Regardless of their lack of romance, he had loved her. The years they’d had together were a testament to that, regardless of how their marriage had come about. For over twenty years he’d provided for her, cared for her, supported her… as she’d done for him. Her death was on him. No court could absolve him of that.

When the sun was once again low in the sky, Lucius pulled himself up off the ground. Brushing off the dust and grime, he stood tall as his mask slipped back into place. No one would ever again see between the cracks of his facade. No one would ever again manipulate him into unwavering loyalty. He nodded once in blatant determination and disaperated back to the manor. It was time to rebuild his life.