Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warnings:
Categories:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of The Bringer of Death and the Apocalypse
Stats:
Published:
2020-02-13
Updated:
2022-11-06
Words:
219,780
Chapters:
109/?
Comments:
61
Kudos:
206
Bookmarks:
33
Hits:
7,638

The bringer of death and the apocalypse

Chapter Text

Cobra pulled on the new shirt he had been given, trying to ignore the uneasiness he was feeling. He couldn’t place why he was on edge, but something was getting him worked up. He shook his head. Maybe it was because he was standing in the territory of the people he had aided in trying to kill.

“I’m surprised the council didn’t come looking for you. They were pretty set on getting Richard and Jellal.” Gray pointed out, looking to Cobra. He turned to look at the ice mage.

“Simple. They likely believed that as I wasn’t with your group that I would be in the remains of Nirvana.” he shrugged, adjusting the belt of his new trousers. They were a lot looser than he would have liked. Gajeel looked up from where he was tapping a wooden beam.

“If we get back quick then I can convince the master to let him join and to get the council to give him some kinda plea deal.” he rolled his wrist a couple times.

“You know quite a bit about this, don’t you?” Eve asked.

“I’ve been arrested enough times to know something. And before ya say anything. At least half of those arrests were false imprisonments. I did not do half the things they thought they caught me doing. Like really, stabbing someone? And leaving evidence. Please. I’m not that amateur.” he snorted before turning his attention to the mirror across the room which he pulled at to look at the back.

“Do you plan to take the snake with you? Wouldn’t that be a sign to anyone who you actually are?” Jura asked, looking to Cubelios who lifted her head with a tired hiss. Cobra bent down to pet her head.

“We’re taking a carriage back according to the fairies. I can just hide her and keep my face hidden until then.” he reached up to run one finger along the outside of his ear until his finger brushed against his earring.

“And I’m surprised so many of you are willing to let me walk free. I understand Natsu, Gajeel and Wendy and perhaps Erza but the rest of you have no connection to me. Why would you want to help me?” he asked, looking up at the other mages.

“You have proven yourself to be a loyal adversary and a reliable ally. Richard wished to repent for his crimes in prison, but I believe you don’t entirely share that sentiment.” Jura kept a straight posture.

“Absolutely not. I’ve spent enough time in cramped rooms with terrible conditions to last me 50 lifetimes.” he shook his head. He had a long time to go before he would be facing his next life if he ever did get one, but the statement still stood. Gajeel had moved again now inspecting the wall of the building.

“What’s wrong with you? Got ants in your shirt or something?” Gray asked, watching Gajeel’s movements. He lifted his head.

“You can’t smell that?” he asked, raising one eyebrow. The guys looked towards each other with mimicked looks of confusion. Natsu took a deep inhale of the air.

“What are we supposed to be smelling?” he asked, rubbing one finger below his nose. Gajeel shook his head. Cobra turned his attention to Gajeel’s mind. Mutterings about smells being missing.

“The master would like to speak with you all.” Cobra jumped when the young lady entered the building. How had he not heard her coming? Gajeel huffed but stepped away from the wall to exit the building. The girls were settling into position in front of the Cait Shelter members. Cobra walked next to Gajeel, Cubelios slithering across the ground behind him. He stopped at the side of the group, keeping half his body behind Gajeel to try and hide slightly. The iron dragon was looking around the surrounding area, fidgeting on his feet and huffing air in and out of his nose. Cobra brushed it off as being related to that ‘missing smell’ thing he’d been thinking about. He didn’t really pay much attention to the excited cheers of the group until it went silent. And in that silence where all he could hear was the breathing and heartbeats of his companions and the sounds of the forest around them did he clock what was unnerving him.

There were only 22 heartbeats.

His eyes widened and he looked across the people in front of him as the guild master told his story. How could there possibly be so little heartbeats. And why were they all coming from those who had been tasked with the fall of his guild. None of the Cait Shelter members aside from Wendy and her white cat made any actual noises of breathing or heartbeat or just actual life. And then he noticed Wendy crying, yelling at her guild master for being cruel. He looked to the old man, flickering. A ghost. And he couldn’t fault him. If Cobra had been in the same situation, he might have done the same. Pretended to be an entire guild just so a small child wouldn’t be upset. The illusions had all vanished and it was the old man’s turn. He reassured Wendy, pointed to all of them. Told her that she had so many real friends now. That she didn’t need them before the last of his soul disappeared into the sky alongside the guild mark on Wendy’s shoulder. Cobra turned his head away, unable to look at the child that had collapsed to the ground, screaming and crying for the people she loved to return to her. Not too far from what he’d been like when he’d watched those cultists slaughter his parents who had been trying to keep him safe. He’d screamed and kicked, trying to escape but to no avail. He turned once again when he noticed Gajeel move forward. He turned to look. Wendy had calmed down slightly, wiping at her tears with Erza next to her. The red-haired mage moved to the side to let Gajeel kneel in front of Wendy. He placed one hand on her head. Wendy sniffled, looking up to him before embracing him around the waist in a hug.

“You won’t leave me… right?” she sniffled, burying her face into Gajeel’s shirt. He placed one hand on the back of her head.

“I promise. I’ll be right here no matter what.” he brushed one thumb under her eye to wipe away the tears. Cobra’s shoulders dropped a little. Perhaps it was the presence of his pack or just the comfort in knowing that those words didn’t just stand for Wendy. They were meant for them all. That he would be there to protect their pack and provide the comfort they needed. He felt a smile tug on his lips. He might actually enjoy this potential new life.