Actions

Work Header

An Easy Choice

Summary:

Flint Lavellan has not been coping well with the weight on her shoulders. The Iron Bull has been more than happy to help take that burden from her, one night at a time. It should be the perfect scenario for the flighty Dalish Inquisitor, but she can't stop wondering what's behind the armored shell of Cullen Rutherford. Is it wanting what she can't have, or does she just need to work harder?

Notes:

If you've read my other Iron Bull (A Modern Girl in Thedas epic), these characters are NOT related, nor are the stories tied together in any way. I hope you enjoy this version of our man Bull!

Chapter 1: Settling in

Chapter Text

Bull sat in the furthest corner of the tavern, back against the wall. No one would be able to get the slip on him here, not even when he was almost falling down drunk. 

Krem finished a large mug of ale and let out a long sigh. “So this is the new place, eh?”

Bull smirked. “Yeah. For now, anyway. We'll see what these assholes are like and decide if we want to stick around.”

“Well, at least the Inquisitor is easy on the eyes.”

“And Ruffles, the Seeker, Maryden, and Harding,” said Bull, getting a nod of agreement with each name. “And that new serving girl.”

Krem wrinkled his nose. “Nah. Too much on top.”

Bull scoffed. “No such thing!”

“She'll compete with your pillowy man bosoms. Doesn't that bother you?”

He gave the man a playful scowl. “You know I pay your salary, right?”

“Could do with a raise, actually.”

Bull barked a laugh and gave him a hard clap on the back, making him cough. “We'll talk after we finish this stupid smuggling mission.”

“You're sure the Inquisition is okay working directly with the Qun?”

He nodded and took a long swallow of ale. “Yup. Any chance to get bigger friends in their pocket.”

“Are you okay with it?”

Bull paused. Krem had earned his trust, but this was too close to the heart.  Was he okay with it? He couldn't decide, and that bothered him more than the prospect of seeing his people again. He put on his most convincing smirk. “It's fine. I'm more curious to see who they send to meet us.”

“Well, as long as you're okay with it.” 

The rest of the Chargers came into the tavern, bringing the energy up with just their mere presence. Bull allowed himself the distraction of admiring their progress. They'd all been little better than animals when he found them, but with his guidance, they had become a well-oiled mercenary team. His guys. 

The door opened to admit Flint, the newly ordained Inquisitor. She went to the bar and sat in one of the tall stools and spoke to Cabot. 

Bull watched her drink alone for a while. It was odd to see her unmolested by throngs of people, but the furor had begun to die down as the residents of Skyhold began the monumental task of cleaning up the ramshackle place. 

Her dark hair was in a single thick braid that reached the small of her back. His gut clenched as he recalled wrapping that gleaming plait around his fist and dragging her head back so he could access the delicate skin over her collar bone as she rode him. And how he used it to guide those rosy lips to wrap around his cock. 

An elbow jostled him back to present. “You awake, Chief?”

He nodded briskly and rose to his feet. “I'll see you guys later.”

Bull crossed the crowded room with care, only going out of his way to bump into the one guy who'd been side-eying him since his arrival. Just a light bump, up close and personal. Enough to make the idiot think twice about trying anything stupid. 

He coughed loudly as he approached Flint's back and sat beside her. “Drinking alone?”

She smiled and tapped her mug against his. “Not anymore. How are you settling in?”

“My room has a hole in the roof. I assume it was created by a dragon, based on the size.”

She winced. “Sorry about that. I can get you bumped up on the list of repairs.”

He motioned for a refill. “Nah. Fix up the important places first.”

“Your place is important. I decree it so.”

He laughed and put a hand on her back. “Don't abuse your power on my behalf.”

She leaned into him. “They were stupid enough to bestow me with the power of a queen. Let them learn a lesson on who they trust.”

He grinned and wrapped his arm more securely around her. “I have ideas to fix it myself. But thanks boss. Nice to know you care.”

Pink washed through her pale cheeks, highlighting the delicate lines of purple tattooing on the upper half of her face. Vallaslin, she called it. A marking to denote her devotion to Sylaise, goddess of the hearth. 

Pretty, he called it. 

Flint twisted in her seat to face him. “What about you? Aren't you hanging out with the guys?”

There was some jeering and raucous laughter from the back corner. “I drink with them often enough. Let them have a night without the boss breathing down their necks.”

She lifted a brow. “Then maybe you and I should get some of the good wine and go somewhere more quiet.”

"Your place or mine?”

“Well, mine doesn't have a dragon sized hole in the roof.”

He grinned. “That doesn't make the choice any clearer.”

Her eyes sparkled with humor. “Fine. Your place it is. I hope it's not too cold.”

“With you in the room? Not likely.”

***

Flint mounted the last flight of steps towards the top level room Bull had claimed. He liked the view, or so he said. Having a door leading directly into the tavern probably didn't hurt his feelings either. 

She paused at the top to let her aching thigh muscles rest. One thing about a mountain keep she hadn't considered was all the damn climbing. Not for the first time, she missed her nice, flat forest homeland. 

Bull leaned on a nearby doorjamb, watching her with that easy half-smile of his. The one that promised nothing but untethered pleasure. 

She held up two bottles of wine. “I grabbed the two dirtiest bottles. I figure that means old, which is supposed to mean good.”

He squinted at the labels and smirked. “You grabbed dragon piss and pig swill.”

Heat swarmed her cheeks. “Well, it's the thought that counts, isn't it?”

“Sure.” He wrapped his arm around her shoulders and guided her into the room. “We'll still get good and hammered.”

She paused and stared at his ceiling. “You really could fly a dragon through that hole.”

“Yeah, but check this out.” His hand caught hers and he pulled her over to the bed. “Lay on your back.”

She lifted a brow. “I thought you'd be much more adventurous than this, Bull.”

He gave her a dirty look. “Just do it.”

Flint kicked a leg out and let herself tumble to the bed with a twist. As soon as she settled on her back, she understood why he wasn't in a rush to fix anything.  

The night sky was filled to bursting with stars, decorating the gap in the roof with their spectacular display.

He scooped her up and set her further onto the bed, then flopped down beside her. “Not bad, eh?”

She nodded wordlessly. They stared in silence for a long while before he scooted closer and began to point out constellations. His hand guided her finger to trail across the stars making up various shapes, and his low voice rumbled in her ears as he explained the lore behind each one they could see. 

As he started talking about some ancient ship, Flint rolled over to face him. “Did they teach you about this when you were being trained as Ben-hassrath?”

“No. I didn't learn about them until I came out here.”

“Why?”

He shrugged. “Stars are neat.”

She shook her head. “No, I mean why did you wait until being out here?”

“Because I wasn't an astronomer. My job was to find secrets and use them to our advantage.”

Flint traced a scar that wrapped over his ribs. “So you weren't allowed hobbies?”

“Well, not that exactly. I just didn't have the time or energy outside of my work to devote to anything else.” He turned onto his hip to face her. “When I was in Seheron, it was like herding cats. We had to constantly be on our guard, even when we slept.”

“No wonder you burned out,” she whispered. 

His brow furrowed. “Yeah. I guess.”

Flint poked the deep groove with her index finger. “Okay, we're not here to get more wound up. Let's get some wine into us.”

“You're the boss.” He leaned forward and caught her lips with his for a scorching kiss that left her head spinning. Then he whispered, “For now.”