Actions

Work Header

Sleepybug and Cuddle-Chat

Summary:

To deal with the increased stress of being the Guardian, class president, starting her own online business, working part time for her family, and general life living, Marinette has decided to train herself. She already knows how to fight, now she’s training herself to slip into sleep whenever the opportunity presents itself. What she doesn’t know is that Chat aka Adrien is becoming roped into her naps because she keeps grabbing him in her sleep.

Notes:

I currently have no plans to continue this, but it could easily be continued if there's enough ideas/demand for it. Sorry, folks. *yeets*

(See the end of the work for other works inspired by this one.)

Chapter Text

Marinette stumbled into the classroom a full 15 minutes before class started. Alya dropped her phone, and Nino caught it before he noticed Marinette. Then he too dropped her phone. The clatter silenced the room who stared in befuddled awe at Marinette.

Marinette paid no heed to her classmates, casually strolling to her desk and dropping into it without a care. Reaching into her pocket, she pulled out an eye mask and covered her eyes before setting her head on her arms. Almost immediately her breathing changed into soft snores.

Adrien peeked over her desk at the sleeping girl. “Marinette?” He whispered. It was the first time she hadn’t greeted anyone before sitting down. Adrien was worried something might be wrong. Marinette didn’t answer, so Adrien got onto his knees and leaned over her. Surely she wasn’t actually asleep already.

“Marin-mph!” As Adrien leaned over to whisper into Marinette’s ear, his hair brushed her neck. Marinette’s hand shot up, grabbing his head and pulling it down with her. Adrien’s mouth was now buried in Marinette’s hair, her hand tangled in his locks, and her fingers absently scratching his head.

Despite himself, his face blushed an incriminating red, and his eyes fluttered closed. Marinette gave the best head scratches. “Mmm, shhh, kitty, sleep,” Marinette murmured softly. Adrien’s eyes shot open, but no one was close enough to have heard her besides him. Adrien was able to see several phones out though, apparently recording this strange phenomenon.

As Adrien’s eyes trailed back to Marinette, he noticed a bit of drool forming at the edge of her mouth. Marinette truly was asleep. With a sigh that sent Marinette’s bangs fluttering everywhere, he shifted around to be as comfortable as possible. Her fingers occasionally scratched at his scalp, and he closed his eyes.

Nothing would make bending over a wooden desk like this comfortable, but the soft breaths ghosting across his forehead, and the warm fingers finding the perfect spots to softly scrape at certainly came close. Adrien closed his eyes and let the rising chatter of the classroom lull him into a half-aware state. Marinette was obviously not going to wake up yet. Adrien could wait.

“Adrien? Marinette? What are you two doing?” Ms. Bustier’s half alarmed tone sent both students sitting up groggily. Adrien struggled to contain the adrenaline that sent his heart skyrocketing, but Marinette yawned and removed her eye mask nonchalantly. Marinette easily put her eye mask back in her pocket before smiling up at the teacher.

“I was napping before class, Ms. Bustier. I’ve decided to take every chance I can get for a nap during this busy time.” Marinette offered candidly. “But speaking of, here’s my homework for the last week. I really appreciate the extension!” Marinette smiled brightly as she offered her work from her bag to the teacher. Ms. Bustier hesitantly looked between Marinette and Adrien before obviously deciding to dismiss it.

Nodding at Marinette, Ms. Bustier took the offered documents with an unsure smile. Adrien just sheepishly attempted to straighten his hair with a flush, looking down at his desk in embarrassment. He studiously looked away from Nino’s Cheshire grin, determined to play it all off. So Marinette had grabbed him and held him down by his hair. It wasn’t a big deal.

So the day continued. At any class breaks, if Marinette wasn’t using the restroom or working on homework, she was pulling out that eye mask and taking a nap. Adrien fully expected Alya to show Marinette the photos of them from this morning. Beyond knowing smirks in Adrien’s direction, however he saw no signs of anyone saying anything to Marinette directly.

Lunch arrived, and with it, further development. Marinette joined Alya, Nino, and Adrien for lunch at the park, eating and chatting with cheerful abandon. Adrien noticed she didn’t talk directly to him with a sinking sensation in his heart, but she smiled at him. Awkwardly at times, but it was still a smile, so he pushed down his dissatisfaction. Adrien ignored the fluttering in his heart when their eyes met. It obviously didn’t mean anything to either of them.

Still, when Marinette yawned, glanced at her phone and brightened as she reached into her pocket, Adrien felt a thrill shoot through his body. As he suspected, she sheepishly pulled out her eye mask. “Sorry guys, I’m gonna CATch a nap before class. Wake me when you head back?” Marinette cheerfully requested. The three nodded and exchanged confused glances.

Marinette stood up and walked to lay under a tree nearby. As she curled up for a nap with her over shirt under her head as a pillow, Adrien noticed that her white shirt was riding up. Even as he discreetly watched, she started shifting, obviously feeling the grass prickle the sensitive skin of her back. Glancing at their friends, he smiled awkwardly.

“Marinette looks kind of uncomfortable. I’m gonna lend her my over shirt real quick. Be right back.” Oblivious to Alya’s frantic fumbling for her phone, Adrien stood and removed his white shirt. Walking over as quietly as he could, he kneeled next to Marinette’s hip, leaning over her to tuck the shirt under her back. As Adrien examined his work, Marinette’s hand crept up until it found his hip and pulled him down.

“Whoa!” Adrien exclaimed as he landed half on his left side, half-way onto his back. Marinette had an incredibly strong grip. Adrien took stock of himself as he felt a warm hand tightly grip his hip. As Adrien looked down, he watched Marinette roll forward so she laid halfway across his arm and snuggled directly into his chest. Hot breath puffed against his left pectoral, directly over his heart, and Adrien felt his breath catch.

As Adrien watched, Marinette nuzzled his chest, one hand wrapped in his T-shirt next to her head, and the other fisted his T-shirt over his hip. He wasn’t certain, but there might have been steam coming out of his ears at the adorable sight. His right arm hovered, unsure of where to go, while he felt the weight of her head settling across his left bicep. He raised up a bit to see his over shirt was partially falling off of her. Using his right hand, he resettled the shirt around her torso before giving in to his fate and wrapping his free arm around her.

He already knew he couldn’t escape without waking her, and it was a really nice day. They had over an hour before lunch ended anyway, so Adrien happily snuggled in to nap with his princess. As Adrien closed his eyes and sighed contentedly, he felt a purr start up in his chest. Without thinking about it, he leaned in to Marinette more, covering her head with his shoulder, wrapping her in his purr.

Marinette sleepily giggled. “Silly kitty,” She muttered. She tapped his chest with her fingers before she resumed softly snoring. Adrien smiled, sleepy and warm with contentment.

****************************************************

“Adrien? Dude? Marinette?” Adrien sleepily woke to Nino’s whispers. Marinette remained happily oblivious, drooling into his arm and adorably smiling in her sleep. Adrien smiled down at her helplessly before looking up. Nino’s amused face sent a spark of embarrassment shooting through Adrien as he unconsciously covered Marinette with his body.

Nino didn’t miss the protective stance, raising his eyebrows and hands in surrender. “We need to get back to class soon or we’ll be late. You two coming?” Nino smirked, glancing down at how tightly Marinette was being clutched to Adrien’s chest. “Or are you two going to get to know each other better?” Adrien flushed and sat up.

“Mmm?” Marinette startled awake, automatically wiping her drool and stretching with the mask still covering her eyes. Nino snickered and started walking back to Alya, who Adrien noticed was either recording or taking photos. Adrien scratched his neck in mortification, but at the sliver of toned belly Marinette showed when she groaned and stretched, falling back onto the ground with a smile, he forgot the audience once more.

“Ahhh, that was the best sleep I’ve had in days,” Marinette happily announced. Adrien felt his mouth go dry, and scrambled to get up, but he was still on his knees when Marinette tugged the eye mask off. “Oh? Adrien!” Marinette sounded shocked, and Adrien did his best not to look at her.

“Sorry, I lent you my… uh, my shirt, and I,” Adrien fumbled for words. “I need it back?” He asked. Marinette blinked at him blankly before glancing around herself. As she sat back up she realized she was laying on his shirt.

“Oh!” She scrambled to pick it up, checking it over before offering it back. “I’m surprised it’s not covered in grass stains if I was laying on it. Thanks!” Marinette continued to frown at the shirt thoughtfully, noticeably not looking at Adrien. “Though I’m normally a really restless sleeper, so it’s really strange it’s not covered in stains. You might not want to lend it to me again.” Marinette softly suggested.

Adrien felt a flush cover his face. Once she’d wrapped herself in his arms, Marinette had slept like the dead. There was nothing restless about her sleep. “I don’t mind.” Adrien squeaked out, quickly standing up and offering her a hand. Marinette grabbed her black shirt and took his hand, smiling her thanks. Marinette quickly moved off to collect her bags, and it felt like she took Adrien’s heart with her.

Adrien absently clutched at his chest where the warmth of her breath was rapidly fading. He wasn’t sure what to do. He couldn’t seem to resist his sleeping beauty but it felt like she was going to tear him apart and eat him for dinner if he didn’t start avoiding her.

 

OMAKE:

“Plagg.” Adrien’s annoyed voice rang out into the dark room.

“Plaaaagg.” Plagg grunted in irritation as his nap was disturbed. Adrien poked Plagg’s soft forehead with his finger. Plagg grumbled.

“Wuuut.” Plagg groaned.

“I can’t sleep.” Adrien admitted in a huff. Plagg hovered over an irritable Adrien in complete confusion.

“So you stopped me from sleeping?” Plagg yowled. Adrien frowned at him.

“Can you sleep while I’m transformed?” Adrien asked in a nonchalant tone. Plagg froze.

“What.” Plagg’s voice was monotone. Adrien smiled innocently.

“I’m just curious.” Plagg stared down at him.

“I believe that about as much as I believe Camembert is bad for me.” Adrien grimaced.

“I’m worried Marinette might not be sleeping.” Adrien offered. Plagg glared down at him, unimpressed.

“Uh huh. This wouldn’t be another attempt to nap with her, would it?” Plagg questioned. Adrien smiled innocently.

“Of course not. If she’s asleep, I’ll leave without waking her, cat’s honor.” Plagg stared for a minute.

“Two wheels of cheese, one now and one later.” Plagg demanded.

“Done.” Adrien immediately answered. Plagg snorted, obviously amused at the easy capitulation.

Plagg savored his cheese while Adrien fussed over what to wear. Savoring his cheesy victory, Plagg deigned to not point out Marinette would never know what he was wearing under the suit anyway.

Finally they were both ready, and Chat Noir quickly vaulted to the balcony of his only princess. Glancing down, Marinette was indeed already in bed, he noted with disappointment. As he watched, Marinette’s hands felt around, obviously looking for something. Deciding she might be awake, Chat Noir opened the skylight carefully and peered down.

Marinette was frowning, moving around in her sleep and obviously seeking something. With a suspicion in the back of his mind, he eased himself into her bed, carefully staying over the covers. With obvious relief, Marinette sighed and immediately glued herself to him tightly. She tucked her head under his chin, smiled happily, and slung a leg over his, all while sighing contentedly.

Chat Noir allowed the blush to travel from his forehead to his chest, jubilantly resigned to his fate as a cuddle-cat for his princess. As his purr started up, he contemplated his new knowledge. Marinette wasn’t a restless sleeper, she just needed someone to cuddle. Wrapping an arm around her, feeling drowsiness finally settle in, he was content once more. He fell asleep to her quiet snuffling, and woke to her first alarm.

As he eased out of her bed and skylight, gently putting the door down and making his way home, he smiled. She obviously needed someone to cuddle and he was obviously the best choice. He smiled through his breakfast, and all the way to school until a surprisingly repugnant thought occurred.

What if he wasn’t there and she found a new, better cuddle buddy?