Actions

Work Header

When the storm comes

Chapter 4

Notes:

hi :) i am so sorry for taking this long but my life is kinda all over the place i had no time to write this.

i wrote this InKorn part today in one go so it is going to be one big error but i wanted to post it as soon as possible. also google doc 's grammar corrector is my only friend so dont expect much :))

this is not how chapter for was suppost to go but it was long enough to post so i just go with it. that means that this word vomit will have more chapters that i expected to have (yaaay or nayyy)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

When In finally got back home, after saying goodbye to Korn, it was late in the night and he was really tired. Pharm was waiting for him in his room, worried about his younger friend. 

“In? Finally! Where have you been? Do you know how late it is?” Pharm lifted himself and swam closer to In, when he noticed the boy entered his room. 

“I- I don´t know. I am sorry.” In answered quietly, swimming slowly to his bed, ready to fall asleep in his bed. He had to look as tired as he felt because Pharm swam even closer and was watching him with worry. 

“In? What happened?” he said as he was carefully leading him to bed. He laid him down and put a light duvet on him, tucking him in. In closed his eyes for a moment, calming himself down.

“I saw him again. The boy that looks like Kao, but his name is Korn and he is not afraid of me.” In said quietly.

“Did you talk to him? Wait- what do you exactly mean by “he is not afraid of you”? Did he saw you? I mean, all of you?” Pharm sat on the bed next to In.

“Yes. I saved him. He was going to drown in the sea. I helped him to get to the shore. I- He looks so much like Kao. Pharm, how is it possible?” In´s voice was getting weaker and weaker and at the end Pharm had a problem to even hear what he was saying at all.

“I don't know In. But it is not him. We all saw him die.” Pharm sighed.

“I know, Pharm. I know! But there is something on him. He makes me feel safe and like I have known him for a long time. there has to be something, don't you think?” he sounded almost desperate, like he wants to convince more himself then Pharm.

“That's possible. We don't know the path God's chosen for us.” Pharm slowly patted a In´s head, “But now, go to sleep. You are exhausted. We can talk about it tomorrow, okay?” Pharm asked, while lifting himself off the bed and tucking In more tightly into his blanket.

“Hmm okay. I love you, Pharm.” In mumbled almost inaudibly. 

“I love you too, In. Good night.” Pharm said with a soft smile while he was leaving In´s small room. He turned his head back to the boy to look at him, now peacefully sleeping, sad smile on his lips. In went through a lot  and Pharm was scared that the history will repeat itself. He was scared because he had no idea who this boy was and what he will do to In. But there was nothing he could do to top In to do whatever he wants. He can stand by and be ready to be there for In, when he will need him. He and everybody else in their small village. 

✶✶✶✶✶✶

After that incident on the beach Earth didn’t talk, or even see Kao for several weeks. But the information that it was Kao who beated Park’s ass had to spread around like a fire because since then, nobody bothered Earth that much. Yes, they stared at him and not-so-sneakily whispered all the bad stuff about him behind his back but nobody was attacking him or trying to drown him again. 

Earth wanted to ask Kao if he said something to them or if it was just his little act against Park, that kept everybody away from Earth. But it looked like Kao disappeared or is doing a really good job at avoiding Earth. There was no chance for him to meet Kao in their little village school because of their age difference so Kao had no reason to visit that god forsaken place and he didn't come across him even in a village center.

Time passed and Earth again found himself sitting on a beach watching the sun slowly disappearing below the horizon. 

It was when the sun almost fully disappeared when he felt a movement behind his back. He turned his head and saw Kao just lowering himself to sit beside him. Earth smiled at the older boy, silently waiting for Kao to sit down.

“Hey.” Kao said when he was sitting comfortably. 

“Hello to you too.” Earth answered “you are really hard to find.” 

Kao smiled at Earth apologicaly. “I am sorry. I had to help my dad with something. I finally had some free time, so I thought that I could just relax here for a little bit.” 

“So you didn't go here just to see me? I am hurt!” Earth answered looking at Kao with the saddest eyes he could muster without laughing out loud. He could see Kao hesitate for a moment but then just shrugging his shoulders and nodding a little: “Yeah, maybe that too a little.”

“Good” Earth chuckled while lying down on the sand, one hand under his head and the other stretched  to the side away from Earth.

They were quiet for some time. Just enjoying the peace surrounding them. Earth was a very chatty person but for some reason he didn't feel the need to fill the silence when he was with Kao. At some point Earth stood up and slowly walked into the sea, waves hitting his bare ankles. 

“Come here.” Earth turned around with laughter when a bigger wave hit him and water reached almost to his knees. Kao still sat on the beach near the water, just watching Earth playing in the water with a soft smile on his lips. 

“No.”

“Come on! Don't be like a boring old man! I mean, you are old but not that old!” Earth whined why he was walking out of the water. 

“As you said yourself. I am too old to go to the water.” Kao said, looking at approaching Earth with a worry in his eyes. 

“You are what? Fifteen? Sixteen? Come on old man, you are going into the water with me.” said the younger boy while tugging at Kao’s hand trying to make him get up. He was trying to make Kao move but there was no point in that because the older boy was way stronger and had no intention to do as he was told. 

Suddenly Earth was pushed down by Kao who started to fight back. In one moment Earth was standing over Kao and just a second later he was pushed down falling flat on the older boy’s chest with one hand still connected with the other’s boy hand, squished between their bodies and the other lying somewhere on the other’s boy stomach. 

“What-” before he could even finish his sentence he was being lifted up in a bridal style, quickly putting his free hand around Kao’s neck in a shock. 

“So I am old and boring?” Kao asked while spinning them both around making Earth yelp and grasp Kao’s neck harder. 

“No of course not! You are the most not boring person ever!” Earth screamed when he felt cold drops of water reach his back. Kao was walking deeper and deeper into the sea holding Earth who was trying to escape from his embrace before it was too late. 

“Sorry, what? I can’t hear you over the waves.” he heard Kao say mockingly. Earth looked at Kao and moved up a little bit so he was closer to Kao’s face. “I said,“ Earth screamed into Kao’s ear, “that you are the mo- no!” Earth was interrupted again, this time by Kao spinning around once more and then throwing him into the water. Earth had no time to prepare himself for the impact and just dive right into the water while still screaming his lungs out. 

When he reached the surface again the first thing he saw was Kao standing a few meters away from him laughing loudly with his smile on a full display. Seeing him like this took Earth’s breath away more than being thrown into the water just one minute ago. It was the first time that Earth saw Kao so carefree and just enjoying himself. And not to be dramatic, but Kao’s loud laugh was maybe the most beautiful thing Earth ever heard. 

Earth shakes his head to clear his mind and also gets water out of his ear. He looked at Kao with his threatening glare, which made Kao laugh out loud even more.

“You will pay for this old man.” Earth screamed while running towards the other boy with a loud and a little bit hysterical cry. This time it was Kao who was not ready for the impact of a smaller body when Earth jumped at him making both of them lose their balance and dive again under the water. Earth who was ready this time, just held his breath and tangled his hands and legs around the older boy, waiting for him to get back on his feet. 

Earth didn't loosen up his grip on Kao even when they were back above the surface, lying his face on Kao’s shoulder.

“You are a really evil one. People in the village were right about you.” Kao chuckled after he was able to speak again. He tried to pry Earth’s hands and legs away from him but Earth was holding too tight so Kao just made a long suffering sound and walked back to the shore with Earth still being glued to his front. 

When the water was reaching his knees, Kao sat down with a smaller boy now sitting in his lap, hands around his neck to keep him in place. Earth slowly adjusted his legs to fold them over each other behind Kao, so he could sit more comfortably, his face never leaving it’s spot on Kao’s shoulder. 

“Hmmm you are right. I am the evil one.” Earth hummed into Kao’s neck suddenly feeling very sleepy. 

“Yes, you are.” Kao chuckled, putting his one hand on Earth’s head and playing with his hair. Earth made a pleased hum and wiggled a little to get into a more comfortable position. Kao looked down at him surprised by Earth behavior but he shook his head and just held the boy in his lap. 

They sat there in the water for a while and then Kao managed to move them on the sand so they were able to dry their clothes and not catch a cold. With a little struggle, he separated sleepy Earth off of himself and lay the little boy down on a warm sand and sitting next to him. Earth opened one eye and looked at him with a sad pout. 

“You are such a baby.” Kao huffed while he sat in a pretzel style behind Earth and put his head gently into his lap. 

“Hmmmm. Evil baby.” Earth hummed happily, closing his eyes again. Kao shook his head  laughing at him. After a moment of an inner battle he lowered his head to press a soft kiss on a top of Earth head. Earth’s only reaction was reaching his hand for Kao’s and laying them on his stomach. Kao looked at their joined hands with a smile and put his other hand on top of Earth's head to play with the boy’s hair again.

 It was long after sunset when they parted their ways both feeling the happiest they felt for a long time now. 

✶✶✶✶✶✶

When In woke up the next day, he was exhausted and so confused. He talked with Pharm about everything, just like they promised. In felt much better after that and he even felt good enough to go with Team to teach him about the water plants that were growing near their village. They swam close to the seabed, In showing all the places where different types of algae and corals were. He showed him the good once that they can use for food and the ones that were good as medicine or for wound healing. He also showed him the bad once, which could poison them so quickly. Team was listening carefully, asking so many questions when he was not sure about anything or just wanted to know more. Team was good company and after their little trip, In felt so much better. 

He wanted to swim ashore again, to see Korn, to talk to him. Pharm was not really happy about it, still not being sure what it al ment, but he eventually agreed to it with one condition. He will go with In, to see If Korn is there, waiting for him. In was firstly against the idea, but he also knew that Pharm was just trying to protect him. So after dinner, they swam back to the shore, where In said his goodbyes to Korn. When they were close enough so they could see the beach clearly, they stopped and sat on rocks that were above the surface.

The beach looked abandoned on a first glance, but after a moment they saw a movement under the first row of trees.

“Oh goddess. He is here. Pharm. He is here. What should I do?” In was rambling, suddenly nervous about talking to Korn again. 

Pharm was looking at the person that was hiding under the trees and he couldn't believe his own eyes. The boy that was sitting there really looked exactly like Kao. Suddenly all the memories of the day came back and he was overwhelmed by it. 

It felt like yesterday. The day when they all watched Kao being executed and they couldn't do anything to stop it. It was about a year after In was thrown to the water. They didn't know what was going on in the village at that time. But one evening, they saw a big fire on the top of the biggest reef and a lot of people screaming around it. they swam closer to the shore to see what was going on. Suddenly, a man was thrown in front of the crowd, near the sea and they all could clearly see his face.

 In recognised him in second, screaming in agony because he knew what was going on now. It was only Dean's hands that were keeping him in place so he would not swim to the reef. He screamed Kao´s name, his voice hoarse after a while. Two people grabbed him by his hands and tight him up to the pole that was erected on the hill. Everything went quiet for a second and then there was a one loud gunshot and Kao´s body stopped moving, his limbs hung limply beside the body. After that they untied Kao´s lifeless body and without a second glance, they threw him over the reef into the water. Without saying anything, Win and Dom dived under the water to save the sinking body. Pruk had to help Dean with In, who was trying to dive under the water too. They had a hard time to calm him down enough so they could safely swim back to the village. They buried Kao´s body on a shore under the reef that was not accessible from the coast, putting a rare corals on his grave and with a Myss help, the corals grow faster and cover the grave and its surroundings in a colourful blanket.

It was a few weeks after, when they finally found out why the villagers killed Kao. It was Del who swam close to the shore and heard two fishermen talking about it. As far as they knew, after Earth was thrown into the water as a sacrifice, Kao couldn't really come to term with it and little by little lost his mind. And after almost a year he killed his own father, who was the one who was responsible for Earth's death. 

Del telepathically shared everything she saw with Dom, so when she returned to their village everybody already knew. 

“What should I do? I don't-” it was In´s voice to bring him back to reality. In was dramatically waving his arms around and suddenly lost his balance and with a high pitched shriek and big splash, he fell into the water. This sudden movement caught Korn´s attention and he stood up and walked near the water, looking at the sea carefully. 

“In? Are you okay?” Pharm asked watching the boy emerge back on the surface. 

“Ughhh yes. I am fine. But I think he kinda saw me.” he answered, looking on the shore. 

“Yes. It was kinda hard not to notice. But he really looks like him. It is unbelievable.” Pharm was looking at the boy now sitting on the beach close to the water, just quietly 

watching them.” You should go now. He is waiting for you. But be careful! I love you.” and with the last sentence, he dives with a loud slash into the water. He even emerged back just to jump like a dolphin out of the water, his scales softly shimmering on the setting sun. 

In rolled his eyes and smiled. Pharm could be pretty dramatic when he wanted to be. He shook his head and swam to the shore where Korn was waiting for him. 

He swam to the shoal, his lover body lying on the sand in the water. He was still fully not out of the water, just his head peeking out.

  “Hi.” Korn  whispered like he was afraid that if he spoke too loud In would disappear. “I was starting to think that you will not show up.” 

  “Now way. You still need to tell me the story, don't you remember?” In smiled and  swam even closer, now his full upper body out of the water, his hands keeping him above the water and his tail lazily swaying behind him. He was Korn following it´s every move.

  “Of course I remember.” Korn answered, mirroring In´s smile. “But who was the person in the sea with you?”

  “That was my friend. If you tell me the story I will tell you about him!” In changed his position, now leaning on his elbows so he would be more comfortable. “Well, go on! I am listening!” Korn was sitting right next to him, his ankles in the water and elbows resting on his bended knees. 

  “So the story. Well I don't really remember how exactly it was, but in a nutshell it was like this. Many centuries ago, there was a boy living in this village. He was petit and so beautiful. He was kind and selfless but the villagers were afraid of him. They say that he had an enchanted voice and when he sang, he made all the men do what he wanted them to. Everybody was afraid of him and they all avoided him. And then the beautiful boy fell in love with a boy who saw his beauty and loved to listen to him singing. But fate was against them and the petit boy was sacrificed for his beauty. The legend says that after he sank to the bottom of the sea, the Goddess of the ocean herself took him under her protection. His lungs became gills and instead of two legs he suddenly had a tail with glittering scales. His voice really became enchanted and with Goddess blessing he is lurking sailors to their deaths till now.” In was listening to Korn´s story, his own story, and tears starting to roll down his face. He didn't know that Korn stopped talking and was lookin at him, confused not knowing what to do.

“In?” he asked quietly, putting his hand on a top of In´s head and patting it softly.

  “His- his name was Kao. The boy who he fell in love with. His name was Kao.” In hiccuped, covering his face with both hands. “Does the story tell what happened to him after that? Because they killed him. They shot him and threw his body to the sharks.” 

He was sobbing now, gasping for air. All the memories back, suffocating him. He felt two strong arms embracing him and lifting him up for a moment. And then he was back on the sand, but this time he was lying on his back with his head in Korn´s lap. He felt one gentle hand in his hair again and the second one grabbing one of his hands, Kao´s thumbs stroking the back of his hand comfortingly. 

“Shhhhh. It is okay. I am so sorry.” Korn was speaking to him, trying to calm the smaller boy down. 

They sat there like that for a long time, Kao holding him tight. After a while, In calmed down, his tears stopped falling down and he could breathe normally again. 

“I loved him.” In started to talk “He was the first person, beside my family, who really saw me. He was not afraid of me, just because I looked different. We were happy. We wanted to move away and live together for the rest of our lives. Does the story tell who was that person who threw me into the water?” 

“No. I do not.”

“It was Kao´s father.” he answered, feeling Korn´s embrace getting tighter. “ He used me as a sacrifice for safe sail. Well.” In chuckled bitterly. “It didn't really matter because Kao killed him after that. And if it was not Kao, I would do it myself.”

Korn just pulled In´s body up, pressing his front to In´s back and hugging him tightly. They sat there like that, watching the sun disappear under the water. They also talked a lot. In talking about his life before transformation, about Kao but also about Pharm, Dean and everybody else who were now his family. 

Korn also talked about his life, about the things that changed since In was walking on the land. It was comfortable and In felt safe. When the stars were shining in the sky, In said his goodbye to Korn, splashing water with his tail. 

He felt content because they will see each other again. 



Notes:

(i absolutely forgot if In killed Kao's father or not. i tried to find it in a previous chapters but i couldnt. so if he did and i am just stupid please tell me so i could rewrite that :)) i think it is better if Kao will be the one who will kill him)

i hope you are all safe and doing as good as you can. i hope that this piece of word vomit will make your day at least a little bit better and if you need somebody to talk to i am always here

AND if there is somebody who wants to beta read this thing i will give you all my smooches and cuddles :)