Actions

Work Header

Heir of Light

Chapter 5: BOOK 1 – CHAPTER 4

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Trevor frowned as he watched her mysterious woman walk away.

He knew what he had seen.

After spending all his life fighting monsters, Trevor knew when someone wasn’t human. But, at the same time, he couldn’t just stake her.

At least, Trevor didn’t think he could.

Instead, he needed to gather information, learn about this woman. Maybe even figure out if she has any weaknesses. Trevor turned and walked in the direction of the Market Woman he had seen speak with her, clearing his throat as the woman had her back to him.

“Oi, g’mornin,” the Woman said. “Haven’t see ya around these parts b’fore.”

“Just passing through,” Trevor replied, hoping she didn’t ask any more questions. “What can I get for a single copper coin?”

“Bit of dried goat,” the Woman replied.

Trevor nodded and put the coin on the wooden counter, watching as the woman cut off a thick, yet short, piece of dried goat meat. Nodding to her, Trevor raised the meat to his mouth, trying not to spit out the bland meat. If anything, the only thing Trevor could taste was the salt from the drying process. But it was better than nothing.

“Can I ask you an honest question?” Trevor asked.

“Depends on the question,” the Woman replied, cleaning her knife. “But, I suppose ya can.”

“That woman that was just here, who is she?” Trevor asked.

“Oh, that’s Oya,” the Woman replied quickly. “Why ya askin’ about her?”

“I was just curious,” Trevor replied. “I haven’t seen people like her…this deep into the country.”

“She’s not from around these parts,” the Woman explained. “Only been ‘ere a couple of years.”

“She come here alone?” Trevor replied.

The Woman shook her head. “Came with…her Father, I believe. Between ya and me, the man looks a bit young to be ‘er father. He looks only a couple years older than she is.”

Trevor nodded; his interest peaked. “She has a…white dog. You ever see it?”

“You talkin’ about Hiba?” the Woman asked. “You need to borrow her?”

“Borrow her?” Trevor repeated. “Why would I need to borrow the dog?”

“For protection against the demons, of course,” the Woman replied. “Oya sometimes lets Hiba stay tha night at people's homes to protect them from the demons. Don’t know what it is about tha beast, but demons give her a wide birth.”

Trevor nodded, tucking this information into the back of his head. “I see…Have you ever been trouble by the demons?”

The Woman shrugged. “I used ta, but not recently. But I don’t believe I’ll have any more problems with them soon, anyway.”

“Oh? Why’s that?” Trevor asked.

“We have Speakers here,” the Woman replied. “Right here, in tha city. Once they are gone, everything will return ta normal here in Gresit.”

Trevor frowned, his mind swirling. So far, he had a mysterious woman, a mysterious dog, demons, and now Speakers.

‘Damn, what else is here in the city?’ Trevor thought to himself.

“If I were ya, lad, I’d find a place to bunker down for the night,” the Woman suddenly said. “And make sure it’s safe. Or at least be prepared ta defend yourself.”

“I’m perfectly able to defend myself,” Trevor said. “But thank you.”

Trevor gave the woman a second copper coin before he walked away, still chewing on the rest of salted meat.

Mysterious women, demons, and now Speakers… Trevor thought to himself. Is there anything that Gresit doesn’t have?

As he wondered the streets of the city, Trevor’s mind tried to fit all he had seen together.

‘Alright, let me think. So far, I have hounds the size of bears and a strange woman who can control it. Demons and goblins that raid the city at night. Oh, and Speakers. Out of every place in the world there just had to be speakers.’


“Father, I’m home.”

Oya put her bag down by the door and smiled as Hiba barked, rushing up to her mistress for attention.

“Where’s Father, Girl? Is he outside in the barns?”

Hiba barked and wagged her tail, the two walking outside to find Tarak scrubbing blood off the barn's wood.

“So,” Tarak said. “When were you going to tell me a goblin had gotten into the barn?”

Oya fidgeted with one of her braids. “When I got back…”

Tarak looked up and arched an eyebrow. “Oya, this is serious. If a goblin got in, then my wards are weakening.”

“I handled it,” Oya protested.

She nodded to the darker spots in the barn, showing she where had vaporized the creature.

“It still corrupted the cow,” Tarak argued. “That’s meat that we can not use.”

Oya crossed her arms like a haughty child and looked away. “It’s not like you eat human food anyway…” she muttered.

Tarak narrowed his eyes and stood up. “No, I do not eat human food, but you do, my child. I swore an oath to your Father who swore an oath to your Mother that you’d be protected at all costs.”

“I’m not a child!” Oya shot back.

“Then stop acting like one! What if a human saw you? And let me guess, you went into town after the goblin and demon attacks?”

Oya looked down at her boots. “I had to make sure my wards were working.”

“And?”

“They were. The four families that were kind to me were unharmed once again. But on the way there, I saw a… newborn… being taken as a snack.”

Tarak sighed, his shoulders slacking. “Did you give it a Blessing at least?”

“I was about too until a Man stopped me.”

“What?”

“It was a Belmont.”

The word ‘Belmont’ dropped into the room with a loud thud and rolled like a cannonball.

“A Belmont is here?” Tarak asked. “Did he see you do anything?”

“No, but I think he saw Hiba in her true form,” Oya replied. “Had her kill the goblins that attacked the babe. I think he’s staying in town.”

“Then you’re not going anywhere near Gresit until he’s gone.”

“But, Father!”

“My word is the law, Oya!” Tarak barked.

His eyes glowed dark blue, and for a moment, similar colored lines began to illuminate from the skin on his cheeks and neck. By rousing his temper, Oya had accidentally stirred his inner power; the young girl quickly backed down.

“I’m sorry,” Oya whispered, bowing her head. “I’ll do as you ask.”

Tarak sighed and walked to his adoptive daughter. Cupping Oya's chin, he lifted her face so he could look into her eyes. “You are so much like your parents, loyal like your Father and hardheaded like your Mother. They’d be proud of you, you know.”

Oya jerked her head away. “Too bad one killed the other, and I don’t know where the living one is.”

“I can not imagine your inner conflict, but that is why I am here, to train you and prepare you to take your rightful place among our people.”

Oya frowned. Her Father believed she was destined for some greatness and that she would do something for their Kind. ‘Wish someone would tell the rest of our Kind that. Most of them want me dead.’

“I need to finish cleaning up the barn,” Tarak said. “Afterwards, we need to look for a new cow. Oya, promise me that you won’t go back into the town until that Belmont is gone.”

“But…!”

Tarak frowned, crossing his arms.

Oya sighed and finally relented. “I promise…”

Notes:

Hi guys!

I'm back from a very long hiatus and I'm so sorry! Going to try and give you more updates, especially now that the holidays are here. So, in this chapter, we learned a bit more about Oya and her adoptive father, but at the same time Trevor is sniffing around the truth!

Will he discover it? Will Oya keep her promise?

Until next time, guys!

Notes:

Hi there!

Thank you so much for reading my FanFiction, I hope that you enjoyed it. If you did, please don't hesitate to leave me a kudos or a comment. To be honest, I prefer comments because I would like to know what you think of the story so far. Looking for more of my work? Just click on my profile name and you'll find a list of all the current fanfics I am writing.

 

If you want to follow me on Twitch, TikTok, Twitter, or even come hang in my discord then CLICK HERE.

 

Thank you, and happy reading!