Actions

Work Header

The Greatest

Summary:

The lives of an entire island rest on these two swords masters who must overcome their differences to master the challenge of "The Greatest". Seemingly polar opposites, there's two things these idiots have in common- a love for swords and a complete lack of understanding romance.

Notes:

Hello! So, this is a passion project, and also my first attempt at really weaving character development and plot together over a longer story. I really think this has some potential for fun, emotional scenes and I promise I try to capitalize on that as much as possible- even if some of the chapters may get bogged by more plot details. I'm definitely a sucker for romance, and if you look for the small bits of fluff you will find it;) However, I also see Zoro and Tashigi as a legitimately good pairing, and want to invest in letting the relationship evolve over some time. So! Please grace me with your patience;) I have a lot of fun writing it, so I hope its fun to read as well!

I'm currently towards the end of the Fishman Island arc, so there's a lot of One Piece that I have yet to see. Thus, I apologize in advance if plot points or character personalities and interactions are not up to snuff with the latest manga/anime releases. I am writing from ages and boat style from after the time skip that I know happens. (I'm also just ignoring the fact that Zoro only has one eye right now so, sorry Xb)

I do not own any of these characters or many of the world building details, and I give full credit and thanks to Eiichiro Oda for all his amazing work creating this fascinating universe!

Enjoy the ride!

((PS: I always love hearing what people think about my writing, so totally feel free to comment what you like or don't like!! I'm thankful for any feedback or thoughts:) But mostly I just hope anyone reading enjoys it:) Thanks!))

Chapter 1: Prolouge

Chapter Text

Tashigi POV:

I lean against a stucco wall in an alleyway, gasping for air as my right arm grabs at my aching ribs. The sound of a siren fills the clear night air, resonating through the twisting streets of the small harbor village. My heart pounds, and I wonder if the Marine base set the alarm off for me. Surely they didn't already discover my theft. I look down at the eternal pose grasped in my left hand, my vision growing fuzzy as the rest of the arm continues to throb. I really should not have sprinted. I should have never come here at all. I should have known the admiral wouldn't listen, wouldn't care!

The sound of foot steps suddenly wrestles with the still active alarm, pounding down the street. A singular silhouette passes the alley I'm hidden in, followed by a group of marines. Breath I didn't know I was holding pushes from my lungs, and I lean my head back, cringing as gunshots sound and the alarm stops, once again filling the night with silence and justice. If only I could have convinced the admiral that my request honored our pledge to enhance justice at all times. It was a miracle I had even been able to catch the admiral at such a small base, though the town itself was certainly big enough to keep the privates busy. Apparently though, men of the admiral's caliber do not have time to concern themselves with the struggles of small villages that lie far away from relevant battle fields. But I though at least...

My left hand reaches into my pocket, grabbing and unfolding the front page of a newspaper and a letter. A girl's smiling face stares back at me, the care-free image mirrored by black block words— "200 Dead from Mystery Outbreak." My fingers tighten around the worn pieces of paper as I play the words of the letter through my head. They asked for help. He knew there was something wrong, that needed to be righted. The cost of not taking action...

A volatile sense of urgency wrecks my insides, like a sinking ball of iron as my jaw clenches. My eyes close as a hot tear rolls down my cheek, an overflow of roiling rage. Screw the admiral's caliber. Anyone who turns their back on a dying village does not follow the reason for the law.

Resolve hardens my heart, shoving my normal trust in the system out the door. I glance up at the brick wall in front of me, my good fist crumpling the letters as I clench my jaw. My title of captain will be revoked, and I can only imagine the disappointment on some of my superior's faces but, I need to get to the base at Rieno, no matter the cost.

I fold the letters and stuff them back in my pocket, my thoughts starting to sprint at the magnitude of what I just committed to in my heart. Do I really want to go against the Marines? Oh my goodness the logistics of this will be insane. What would my family think?! Grandma must be rolling in her grave. What if there's another officer? Surely someone would want to help! Is this really the right thing? No, no no I can't abandon my home. Grandma might be rolling, but maybe it will be from proud laughter?

I lift my good hand to my temple, rubbing at all the internal noise. I just need to start, just need to get there, locate the answers I need, my credentials might be flagged by that point, but I'm sure I can make it through. I would just need a-

"-Distraction! Put on a fancy show, I'll grab the good stuff then we'll make a break!"

"Usopp, I'm not starting a bar fight just so you can steal some special beer you need for one of your stupid surprise slingshots." Roronoa Zoro's voice cuts through the night, the green haired swordsman hitting the back of the curly haired pirate's head, a frown etched on his face. The two pirates continue walking, and I push off the alley wall and walk towards the street, watching as they separate and the Pirate Hunter goes into the bar.

 

 

 

 

I can't believe I'm actually thinking this.