Actions

Work Header

rare earths and trace elements

Chapter 71: PROMPTS, #16: completely undefined au

Summary:

Possibly she had rolled her eyes. Maes didn’t have the right angle to tell.

Notes:

@mirrorfalls: "... and so, the brave Colonel and his trusty Lieutenant decided to embark on a Coup, a word which here means..."

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“ – taking this place back for our own, for the Amestris we want to see!”

The pause had been infinitesimal, even easily dismissed as a typical fault of Central’s unusually-archaic announcement system, but Riza’s shoulders still twitched in what would’ve been a massive eye-rolling sigh for anyone else.

Possibly she had rolled her eyes. Maes didn’t have the right angle to tell, though he was already keeping much closer than they would’ve ever done at Ishval and before.

(It made more than perfect sense, not trusting an ally you’d thought dead until very recently regardless of how familiar you were; Maes could admire a well-deserved paranoia when he saw it. Hell, he didn’t trust himself and he was in his own head most of the time, so that made two of them.

Just as well that Roy was off being the face of this coup.)

He kept his voice light, carrying just enough to be heard over Roy’s continued pontificating over the PA speakers. “I assume you’re still writing his speeches then, Lieutenant?”

“When he tells me that he’s planning to give one, yes,” came the answer, acerbic enough to cut, and Maes winced on Roy’s behalf. (Hopefully he’d wrap up the speeching soon and get on to the things he was actually supposed to be doing, but Maes couldn’t say he was optimistic about that.)

 

 

 

Notes:

#'......what is this au?' hahaha! i don't know #the mental image is that One Speechifying Bit from catws #everything else is optional