Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warnings:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
React To....
Stats:
Published:
2020-05-03
Updated:
2021-01-01
Words:
78,691
Chapters:
26/35
Comments:
447
Kudos:
489
Bookmarks:
90
Hits:
19,510

A Play of Time

Summary:

The characters watch the future

(Since no one wrote a fanfic like this, I decided to do it myself)

Notes:

So I searched through all 355 works of this fandom and I still couldn't find a watch the show au, so I took it upon myself to write one. Also, I'm making Wang Seol empress of Goreyo because I refuse to let Yeon Hwa's son be king.

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter 1: Prologue

Chapter Text

 

PROLOGUE

Go Ha Jin sat in the balcony of her apartment, starting her day with praying, praying for the heavens above to be kind and merciful, merciful enough to return her 4th Prince to her.

‘I only wish for him, give me a chance to right my wrongs, to accept him from the beginning, to be his wife, to be the mother of his children.’ She prayed, ignoring the tears that welled up in her eyes as soon as she thought of Wang So.

She had been doing this for an entire year now, it had been a year since she woke up from her coma. She spent her evenings after work in libraries, reading any book she could find about him. She was shocked when she found out her daughter became Empress Regnant of Goryeo but soon those feelings of fear and shock turned into pride as she read about how her daughter ruled wisely, and made many positive changes to Goryeo.

Many times, she would end up with a blade in her hand, poised above her left wrist, but before she could slit her wrist open, her 4th Prince’s voice would remind her,

I won’t ever forgive you.”

So she did the only thing she could do, she waited. Waited for him to return to her. She wondered how long it would take, he had lived for 24 years without her after all.

 

 

4th Prince Wang So died the moment he saw Hae Soo’s urn, she was gone, and with her she took his heart.

He was a shell of the man he used to be before. A king without his kingmaker. After all, isn’t that what she was, his Kingmaker. She made him into the man he was, planted seeds of ideas in his head that he used in his policymaking.

He didn't want to live when she wasn't there.

That was before he met her.

Princess Seol, who looked almost exactly like her mother.

(He could see himself in her though, her small eyes just like his own, her high cheekbones and defined jawline, the Yoo blood was strong in his daughter)

Jung revealed everything, how Hae Soo asked his brother to take her away from the palace, how she asked Wook to reveal their previous dalliance. She knew she was dying, and she was smart enough to understand her child would not have survived without her.

She pushed him away to protect his firstborn, their firstborn.

Even after she died, she gave him something precious.

Even so, he could not help but yearn for her, his kingmaker, his only queen.

‘Give me a chance to change everything, to take care of her, to grow old with her.’ He prayed and prayed and prayed, hoping his prayers will come true.

 

 

Lady Time watched the two lovers, who had a love so strong it withstood a separation of over a thousand years. Maybe her brother Fate did make an error with these two. Princess Seol did make a fine Queen after all.

Smiling, she slowly began to rewrite their fate.

 


 

`Set after 4th Prince Wang So rescues Hae Soo/Go Ha Jin from falling but before the fight between 10th Prince Wang Eun and Hae Soo/Go Ha Jin`

 

The first thing King Taejo saw as he woke up was fog, in his room. This strange fog (he did not even understand how there was fog in his room, it was summer) joined together and formed a cloud, a strange, ethereal voice spoke from within this cloud.

“You must gather Queen Sinmyeongsunseong, Queen Sinjeong, Princess Hwangbo Yeon Hwa, the 8th princess and all the princes with an exception of the 9th prince, in front of the King’s quarters immediately. The fate of Goreyo depends on it.”

Understanding that there were greater forces at play, the first king of Goryeo summoned the eunuch outside his chambers and commanded him to summon all the people who were mentioned and inform them to stand outside his quarters.

 

 


 

4th Prince Wang So was confused. All his brothers (with the exception of Wang Won), his sister Yeon Hwa and his 8th brother's wife were rushed to the palace from the 8th Prince's residence. He could not help but wonder if anything had happened in the palace. 

He could hear his 10th and 14th brother joke around as they waited for the King to arrive, he stood in the shadows of his brothers, knowing his place amongst his father’s many sons.

“I’m sure it’s a matter of great concern for Pyeha to summon us all like this, we must patiently wait for him to arrive” Lady Hae Myung Hee reminded the younger princes, who were beginning to get a bit restless.

For some reason, Lady Hae reminded him of someone, he couldn’t remember who, but she looked similar to someone that he had forgotten. The prince took this time to think of who the 8th princess resembled.

It was the abrupt silence that brought Wang So back to reality, he looked up to see King Taejo arriving with Queen Sinmyeongsunseong, Queen Sinjeong and the royal astrologer Choi Ji Mong.

“I’m sure you’re all curious as to why you’ve been summoned here.” As soon as King Taejo finished his sentence, a huge wind surrounded the crowd, within seconds, there was not one person left in the area and before any of the guards could see or do anything, time froze.

Chapter 2: Chapter One

Summary:

We start off with episode 14!
(I may have added extra scenes)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Chapter One

 

“Pyeha, what is the meaning of this?”  Queen Yoo asked, as they all appeared in a brightly lit room.

“I, myself am not sure of why we’re here Queen Sinmyeongsunseong, but I was asked to bring you all together in front of the King’s Quarters.” The King replied

The chamber was spacious, and had seats placed in the shape of a curve, with names placed on each seat, signifying which seat belonged to whom.

The princes stared at each other, wondering what was happening and what was to be done.

From the corner of his eye, he could see General Park, who looked even more confused than them.

“Why am I here? What is this? I was at the border with my daughter.” 

All confusion and chaos stopped as a bright glow filled the room, and from this bright glow, a beautiful woman appeared. Her skin was porcelain, her hair as white as snow. The being looked like she had just descended from the heavens.

“You were all brought here for an especially important reason. We have chosen to intervene right now to prevent catastrophic events from occurring. So much blood is shed, so many people had to die, for the rightful king to take his throne. Even then, the rightful Queen was not crowned.”

King Taejo, Crown Prince Moo, Choi Ji Mong and General Park looked towards one another at the mention of the rightful king.

“We’re going to show you the future, what would happen if we did not intervene, who all will end up dying. It is up to you to change the future for the better. I ask you to sit on the seats which have your name on them. We will show you the future, starting off from 4 years from now.”

Looking a bit shocked, everyone took their seats, in the center sat King Taejo, with Court Lady Oh on his left and Crown Prince Moo on his right. Beside Court Lady Oh was General Park and on his right sat 4th Prince Wang So, who had the 13th Prince on his right.

Wang So smiled at his younger brother, his close friend since a young age.

There was a huge curtain in front of them, and on the curtain, they could see a tearoom in Damiwon.

In the room sat 4th Prince and 13th Prince, and with them was Court Lady Hae

“Hae Soo?” Lady Hae was shocked by the fact that Hae Soo was a court lady.

“Why would she be a court lady….the highest court lady that too….” The 8th prince put his arm around his wife, trying to comfort her.

King Taejo turned to look at Court Lady Oh, if this girl was the highest court lady of Damiwon, that would mean Lady Oh……

“It seems I’ve finally retired” She said with a smile, while King Taejo’s heart was breaking.

"Happy Birthday, Soo," Prince Baek-Ah greeted her as she sat on the table where the two princes where waiting.

“HIS SCAR?!” Queen Yoo yelled, shocked, as she saw the clear unhidden face of her 3rd son

Everyone looked stunned, the 4th Prince’s infamous scar was missing.

“Hyungnim, if you don’t have a scar, why do you wear a mask?” Eun asked, curious

Said 4th Prince was completely shocked, the scar that cause him so much misery, so much pain, was gone.

Crown Prince looked at the 4th Prince with a gentle smile, he knew how much his younger brother suffered with the scar, so he was glad to see it gone, even if he did not know how.

‘And so it begins’ King Taejo thought, ‘His rise to becoming King’

Prince Baek-Ah put a wooden box over the table and said, "I saw it at Byukrando and I knew it was perfect for you."

She opened the box and smiled when she saw bottles of perfume inside.

"It was brought over by a Persian merchant," he continued. "It is from Bulgaria."

“Why would you gift such a precious thing to a mere court lady Baek Ah” the 3rd prince said, looking down on his brother.

“Wangjanim, Lady Hae Soo is of the Hae Clan, she is my cousin, she isn’t just a mere court lady, she’s nobility.” Lady Hae replied as politely as she could, to Prince Wang Yo, trying to not start an argument.

She took one bottle from the box, unsealed it, and sniffed the scent from the cap. She smiled at its wonderful scent.

"It is a rose fragrance," she said, recognizing the smell. "It is a precious oil made from distilled rose leaves. It will be perfect for an incense pouch. I love it."

Prince So put down the teacup on the table with a thud. He looked annoyed and Hae Soo tried her best not to smile.

"Hyungnim couldn’t make up his mind as to what to get you and returned empty handed or something…." Baek ah said, smirking at his elder brother.

‘Why would I even bother giving Baek ah’s friend a gift’ Wang So thought, confused

"For a mere court lady's birthday," Prince So said, trying to hide his embarrassment with his coldness. "A prince’s return should be enough of a gift. What else could she hope for?"

Baek ah smiled mischievously, it seemed as though his hyungnim took a liking to Hae Soo.

"Yes, you are correct," Hae Soo said, glaring at Prince So. "I am just a court lady and I should be happy just to be born.”

The 10th, 13th and 14th Princes burst out laughing at her retort.

“I like her!” Wang Jung said laughing.

“She’s changed quite a bit” Hae Myung Hee thought, nervous as to how the 4th prince might lash out on Hae Soo due to that remark.

Wang So could not help but be embarrassed.

"I need to go and see the king," Prince So said, standing up. "Happy Birthday," he said before leaving the Damiwon.

“Wang So running away? Never would have thought.” General Park laughed, as he patted the 4th Prince’s back.

Hae Soo smiled and shook her head.

"Your brother looks really cute when he does that."

“CUTE?!” All the princes yelled in shock at what the girl had said. Wang So couldn’t believe, she called him…. cute. Baek ah sensed a relationship between his elder brother and Myung Hee’s cousin, and he could not have been more excited for it. Eun and Jung were confused, their 4th brother looked so scary, the idea of him being called cute was simply just…. absurd.

‘What is going on’ Hae Myung Hee wondered

"You are weird," Prince Baek-Ah said, also smiling.

"Your brother is weird," Hae Soo said smiling more widely.

‘It is clear the both of us are close, but how…how did she not run away in fear? How was this girl not afraid of him?’  Wang So wondered

“It is not right for a court lady to speak so casually with the Princes” Lady Oh said, a frown on her face

It was late at night, Hae Soo was still awake, reading a book. It seemed something had upset her for she let out a heavy sigh then buried her face on the book she was reading.

"What is happening to you, King Hyejong?"

“It seems it is not I who is your king, but your eldest brother” King Taejo said with a smile.

“Abeoji….” Crown Prince Moo said, looking at his father sadly.

“It was bound to happen Moo-ya”

She heard a howl from outside her room and then sounds of dogs barking. It made her smile despite her frustration.

“There are wolves in Songak?!” Prince Eun asked, shocked, and really scared.

“There aren’t wolves in Songak Eun-ah, you need not worry.” Wook said, reassuring his brother.

She walked out of her room and saw Prince So standing there, pacing back and forth.

“Did you just….” Eun stared at So in shock

"Was it you who just made those animal sounds?" she asked and Prince So stopped pacing to look at her with a smile.

"Yes," he confidently replied. "I sounded so much like an animal that I was afraid you would not come out."

“Oh my…Hyungnim you really fell for her didn’t you” Baek ah said, laughing.

Meanwhile, a certain Hwangbo princess was silently seething.

Hae Soo smiled then seriously said, "I thought a rice cake was caught in your throat."

‘she isn’t scared of me’ the 4th Prince realized; he couldn’t understand how she wasn’t scared of him.

"Why does that matter," Prince So said, ignoring her teasing. "The important thing is that you came out of your room."

Hae Soo glared at Prince So but when he repeated howling, Hae Soo could not help but smile.

“She’s got you wrapped around her little finger” Baek ah giggled, as So blushed.

He smiled and reached out a hand to her before saying, "I will take you to a nice view as your birthday present."

“Damiwon Court ladies aren’t allowed to leave the palace.” Court Lady Oh said, displeased that Damiwon’s rules were being broken.

Hae Soo only stared at him, unsure.

“Let’s Go” Prince So repeated and Hae Soo finally took his hand

 

Prince So had taken her to the farthest part of lake Dongji. They sat near the lake and looked up at the starlit sky. That place was perfect for stargazing. They could see the vastness of the night sky and all the stars on it without any trees blocking their sight.

“It looks beautiful…” Lady Hae said, staring at the sky, in awe.

"I am telling you, that is called a fixed star," Prince So said, amusing Hae Soo with his ignorance. "And that is an anchor star."

"That fixed star you are pointing is the North Star," Hae Soo corrected him. "And that is not an anchor star. That is Cassiopeia."

“What…?” Choi Ji Mong asked, looking confused.

“What is Cassiopeia, Ji Mong?” the 10th Prince asked the astrologer.

“I’ve never even heard of such a thing.” Princess Yeon Hwa sniffed.

“What she is pointing at is most certainly the anchor star.” The astrologer said.

“Trust Wang So to get a girl with delusions like this.” Prince Yo scoffed, but he quietened down after facing the glare of his father.

Prince So let out a heavy sigh then said, "Have you forgotten how much I know about astronomy?"

“Exactly” So muttered.

Hae Soo shook her head then told him with a smile, "I am telling you that you learned it wrong from the beginning. Cassiopeia is a queen," she went on, looking at the sky. "She was bragging that her daughter was more beautiful than a sea fairy and because of that she had been punished by the sea gods. Look at that..."

Prince So looked at the constellation she was pointing.

"Doesn't it look like an upside-down chair?" Hae Soo asked. "That is her punishment. She is being hung upside down in the sky for half a day to teach her not to be vain."

“Hae Soo was never this fascinated with star gazing.” Hae Myung Hee frowned.

“Perhaps she grew fond of it after spending time with Hyungnim.” Baek ah offered, winking at his elder brother, who blushed.

Prince So fell silent beside her and when she looked back at him, her heart raced. He was staring intently at her but when he realized that she was not comfortable with it, he quickly looked away and cleared his throat.

“This is ridiculous.” Yeon Hwa said, glaring at the curtain.

"Long ago, when I was much younger, I had gone to see my mother after not seeing her for a long time," he said with a sad reminiscent look in his eyes.

Wang So shifted on his seat, uncomfortable with what was being shared.

"Mother had Jung in her lap. She was telling him stories of Yore. Right at that moment, I wished to myself that Jung would disappear. I wanted that seat to be mine. Mother saw that expression on my face and quickly hid Jung," he paused for a moment then smiled bitterly as he said, "Perhaps, she already knew that I will be a person who would kill my own brother."

“YOU KILLED YOUR BROTHER?!” Queen Yoo shrieked, anger clearly displayed on her face,

“HOW DARE YOU?!” She got up from her seat, going to slap that....creature but before she could Jung held her back and King Taejo yelled from where he was sitting.

“I’m sure there must be a reason, don’t stress yourself Queen Yoo, remain seated.”

She glared at her third son and sat down.

Wang So was frozen, he could not believe. He killed….his brother. He pushed back the tears in his eyes and continued watching.

“Hyungnim….” Baek ah placed his arm around his elder brother’s shoulder.

"People who have younger siblings often say that," Hae Soo said, wanting to comfort him. "I was that way too. ‘I wish my younger sibling would go away’ ‘Why does that person have to be around and upset me?"

“Hae Soo doesn’t have a younger sibling….” Lady Hae whispered.

Prince So smiled then curiously asked, "Are you trying to make me give up on you or do you wish for me to have eyes only for you?"

“I don’t even see what’s so special about her,” Yeon Hwa rolled her eyes

“Hyungnim, you’re good with impressing women” Baek ah proudly said

“Baek ah..” So warned, while he did like watching his future self-interact with this girl, it was very embarrassing considering everyone around.

"What?" Hae Soo asked, confused.

"Whenever I come to you, all my problems seem to become lighter. It makes me want to spend more time with you," he sighed then said, "If you are not going to come to me, don't give me hope. For me... it is torture."

“Why would any sane girl agree to come to you, don’t be ridiculous” Wang Yo laughed.

“I will not tolerate you speaking of So like this Yo.” The Crown Prince stated, glaring at the 3rd Prince.

Hae Soo was staring intently at Prince So when she noticed that he was leaning in for a kiss. She quickly covered his lips with her hand.

"Didn't you say you would get my permission first?"

“This girl” Jung said, while laughing with his 13th and 10th brothers.

He took her hand away from his lips then said with a cute smile, "Can I do it?"

“Hyungnim couldn’t have killed his relatives in Shinju…. just look at him!” the 10th Prince told to the 8th Prince.

“This is why I told you not to believe in all those rumors.” The 8th Prince replied.

"No, you can't," she said pulling her hand away from his grasp and covered it again on his lips then lightly pushed his face away from hers.

He fell silent for a few moments before trying to steal a kiss from her again. Hae Soo had been tricked by it a few times already that she would never be tricked again.

She hissed then glared at Prince So who quickly looked down and pretended to be straightening his robe.

Almost everyone in the chamber ended up laughing, while the 4th Prince was hoping the ground would swallow him up.

"You said you would not but you are still going to do it..."

"I won't do it," Prince So snapped at her.

“At this rate, Pyeha will marry you off to some old powerful man as his second wife.” Prince So said, giving her a look.  

“That will never happen.” Hae Soo scoffed.

“The king holds me in high favor”

“What a showoff” Prince So smiled and then rested his back on the ground and leaning his head over his crossed arms.

“Ofcourse you’d lower yourself like that, sleeping on the ground.” Queen Yoo sneered. So tried not to let it hurt him

The 4th prince looked at the court lady, who smiled and rested her head on the Prince’s chest, as So gave her a huge smile.

Yeon Hwa could not believe that Hae Soo was acting like this, why that little….

Wang So pretended as though he did not see the looks that were sent to him from Baek Ah and General Park

“You have a day off in a few days, right? Let's go to the prayer tower together."

Hae Soo smiled, as though she thought of something special "Okay, let's do that," she agreed, getting excited.

“Soo-yah, I have a question.”

“How do you know all these stories, it’s not recorded anywhere, no one’s ever heard of it, how do you know all this?” Wang So asked, curious.

Hae Soo sighed and looked around if anyone else who could overhear them was there, seeing no one, she turned to the Prince.

“I’m not sure if you’ll believe me, but I swear to you that what I’m saying is the complete truth.”

The fourth Prince looked at her and nodded.

“Isn’t this a bit too much for a finding out the origin of stories?” Yeon Hwa remarked, put out by the fact that Soo was so close to So

“I’m not from this time.”

“WHAT?!” Everyone except Ji Mong yelled, completely shocked by what the girl had said.

“What do you mean you’re not from this time?” Wang So sat up and stared at her in surprised by what she said.

“I’m from the future. Over a thousand years in the future. I don’t know how or why I landed up in Goryeo, but I did.” She sighed

“I was at a lake, when I saw this boy drowning in the lake, no one noticed, not even his parents. I didn’t know what to do, so I jumped into the lake to save the boy, by then his parents had noticed and had come over with a boat, they took him up on the boat but before they could help me up, I drowned. I drowned and somehow landed up in Damiwon in traditional attire.” She concluded.

“Wha..What..” Hae Myung Hee whispered, shocked at what she was hearing, the 8th Prince’s arms were the only thing keeping her from collapsing.

“So that’s why she was in Damiwon when we all were having a bath.” Prince Eun said.

‘So the woman I’m going to fall for is from the future, completely normal’ So thought, shocked by this new development.

Wang So stared at her in complete shock and then slowly nodded, as though processing what all she said, “This actually makes sense, how liberal you used to be, your sense of justice and the strange words you say at time.”

“My world is quite different from Goryeo,” Hae Soo said, smiling sadly.

“Who were you there?” He asked, wanting to know more about her

“My name was Go Ha Jin, I used to do make up for people. I had a younger brother who was learning how to become a doctor.” She said

“Is that how you knew to cover my scar? Do you want me to call you Ha jin?” He asked her, she held his hand, smiling at him and replied “Hae Soo is fine and yes, my expertise in makeup is how I covered your scar”

“She covered my scar…..” The 4th Prince looked even more shocked, Hae Soo had seen his scar and yet, she stayed, she didn’t run away with fear. This girl sounded near perfect.

“Its seems this girl is of great importance to Goryeo, isn’t she?” Taejo remarked

“Indeed she is Pyeha, it is obvious that Lady Hae Soo is of great importance.” Ji Mong agreed.

“Perhaps we should arrange her marriage to one of the princes.” The king said

“So, you learned about us?”

“Oh yes, we’d be recorded in history right, so she’d know about us from before.” Prince Jung said

She laughed at his question and sheepishly replied “Well, we were taught about it, but I always found History really boring, so I never paid attention. Although, I remember some important things about Goryeo, your father’s reign especially”

“Tell me more about your world.” He eagerly asked and Soo started telling him about her world.

Notes:

I'm just starting off so I'm sorry if the first chapter is a bit too....bland?

Chapter 3: Chapter Two

Summary:

Everyone watches as So and Wook face off, Baek ah can't stop fangirling over his new ship and Eun is certain his brother isn't a wolf but a puppy.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Chapter Two

 

"The king wants a restructuring of the palace's force," Wook said. "Therefore, all the soldiers of the powerful families will join the palace army. They will take turns in providing that support."

“Finally, he’s taking part in politics.” Yeon Hwa smirked, pleased with this turn of events.

While Prince Wook was confused.

The ministers were clearly against it because they kept whispering disagreements with each other. And Wang So knew that this was not just the king's order but also Wook's.

What Jimong told him when he and Baek-Ah returned from their long trip was true. Whenever the king could not attend a meeting, Wook would take over and decide matters on his own.

"His Majesty's illness is worsening every day," Wook continued. "You all know it is difficult for him to attend morning meetings. It is a royal order that we all must obey."

"You're undermining the king's power in his absence?!" King Taejo glared at his 8th son.

"Pyeha I would never" the 8th Prince pleaded

Queen Hwangbo joined in, "Pyeha, Wook has no political ambitions, surely you know that." 

"This order is something that needs to be thought about carefully," Wang So countered. He would not let Wook act as a regent. "I will speak about this matter to the king. We should postpone this meeting for now."

“I’m a part of court?” So asked, confused as to why he was engaging in politics

“Of course you’d be a part of my court So-ya” the Crown Prince said, smiling at his fourth brother.

The meeting ended and when the ministers left, Wang So talked to his younger brother.

"Wook," he called out as the Eighth Prince was about to leave. "Lately, you are stepping out of line a lot. It was as if you are ruling as a regent using His Majesty's illness as an excuse."

The Hwangbos and So were surprised by the animosity in the 4th prince’s voice

"Nonsense," he said with a sarcastic smile. "It didn't pass because of your objection. I will be more careful so nobody will have a wrong impression regarding my actions."

"The fact that you are acting as a senior minister itself is already causing a lot of alarm for the clans," Wang So said. "If you keep pressuring the clans as if it is His Majesty's will, their resentment will keep growing.

“Why are you a part of court?” Hae Myung Hee asked her husband.

“I don’t know why” Wook replied, himself confused.

Wook smiled as if he was amused.

"I thought you are only good at fighting, but now I can see that you are also good in politics," Wook said.

"I had to learn in order to face you," Wang So replied. "I am still suspicious of you."

“What even” So muttered

"I was only trying to fill in for the absence of His Majesty and overdid it a little," Wook said with an annoying smile. "I will take your advice."

Wook left and Wang So could only stare at his younger brother. He was still hoping that he could go back to his old self since he had emancipated Chae Ryung and made Hae Soo that happy but it seemed that he was far from it.

 

 

"What is this?" Baek-Ah wondered when Hae Soo requested for his presence on her office and found that Eun and Soon Deok were also in there.

“My daughter got married?! And she’s in the palace?!” General Park looked shocked at the fact that his daughter was married.

“Perhaps she was married off to the 13th or 14th prince.” Ji Mong said. The said princes looked flustered at the thought of getting married.

“Why is my hair like a married man’s….” Eun asked confused

“It seems hyungnim got married as well.” Jung cheered

"Hae Soo wanted to know when Hyungnim’s birthday is," Eun said, surprising Baek-Ah.

“I’m close to So Hyungnim?” Eun asked, surprised by the fact that he was close to the brother who used to scare him.

"He doesn't want to celebrate his birthday," Baek-Ah informed them. "He would only spend it outside the palace."

"That is why he will celebrate his birthday with us this time," Hae Soo insisted.

“This girl…” So muttered, a small smile on his face.

“Hyungsoo-nim is so nice isn’t she, hyungnim.” Baek ah teased his brother, who blushed when he heard his younger brother call Hae Soo, his sister in law.

"It’s in two days," Baek-Ah said.

"We will still celebrate it," Hae Soo decisively said. "We will celebrate all the birthdays that he could not celebrate with us."

“Why would anyone want to celebrate the birthday of that beast.” Queen Yoo muttered.

"Will he come?" Eun hesitantly asked.

"He will," Hae Soo confidently said. "He was always surprising me. I want to surprise him this time."

“I remember!” So accidentally yelled, taking everyone nearby off guard.

“What?” Wook asked, confused at what his twin was saying.

“I pushed her off my horse! That’s where I remember her from!” So said, realizing what he did

“Oh Buddha, I pushed her off my horse” So covered his face with his hands.

“YOU PUSHED HER OFF YOUR HORSE?!” Lady Hae, The Crown Prince, 8th Prince, 10th Prince, 13th Prince, 14th Prince all asked, shocked that the 4th Prince would do that

“I didn’t mean to..” So couldn’t believe he pushed Hae Soo off his horse, ‘Of all people, it had to be her.”

“She didn’t get hurt right?” Lady Hae asked, worried for her cousin

“As far as I saw, she was fine, Jae-Su.” So replied, feeling guilty.

"Then we will help you," Eun willingly agreed. "I also want to give him a happy celebration. Let us dance, Soo!"

"I can also dance!" Soon Deok said, also getting excited.

"What if Lady Seon Deok married Eun hyungnim instead of Baek ah hyungnim or I." Prince Jung asked, noticing that both of them were married.

"I don't want to get married" Eun pouted.

"Why would I agree to marry my daughter off to the 10th Prince" General Park scoffed.

"I'll just play you good music," Baek-Ah said, laughing softly at the couple's enthusiasm.

"Thank you for your cooperation," Hae Soo gratefully said.

"You don't have to," Baek-Ah said. "We also want to make So happy."

“Thank you Baek Ah” So smiled at his younger brother

Hae Soo only smiled and Baek-Ah was extremely grateful to her every time that she wanted to give So a happy memory.

“It’s good to see that my sons are getting along even after my death,” Taejo said, pleased.

 

Hae Soo was relieved when the king went to the Damiwon that day. The king looked a bit better. He was smiling.

“Crown Prince, it looks like you’re unwell.” Ji Mong said, looking at him with worry

“We shall see if I am or not Ji Mong.” Crown Prince Moo replied.

"Your Majesty, can I talk to you about something important?" Soo asked

"Have you decided to marry So?" the king asked, making Hae Soo blush.

“why hyungnim, why would you say that” So groaned, blushing.

Moo grinned.

“A Prince marrying a court lady?!” Yeon hwa yelled, shocked at what was being said.

“She’s a noble lady of the Hae Clan, Yeon hwa.” Lady Hae said, giving the princess, a look.

"It is not about that," she said. "But it is still about Prince So."

"What is it about So?" he curiously asked.

"I want to throw a birthday celebration for him."

“My Hyungsoo-nim is so caring.” Baek ah proclaimed, grinning at his elder brother.

"I can see that you like my brother but why don't you want to marry him?" the king asked, wondering.

"Uh, it’s actually complicated," Hae Soo said, awkwardly smiling.

"So doesn't want a celebration," he said, hesitant with her plan.

"He will like it because we are the ones who will prepare for it," Hae Soo said. "You don't need to do anything, Your Majesty. Just attend the celebration. Prince So will be happier if you attend."

"All right," he agreed with a kind smile. "I will attend."

“I don’t see what’s the need for a celebration for him” Queen Yoo muttered, rolling her eyes.

"Thank you, Your Majesty," Hae Soo said getting more and more excited.

"I should be the one thanking you," he sincerely said. "Thank you for giving So the happiness we could not give him."

“I really like my Jae-su.” Moo said, teasing his younger brother, who hid his face in his hands.

Hae Soo only smiled.

 

 

Wang So was at Lake Dongji, looking nervous.

"Why do you look so anxious?" Hae Soo asked while she was approaching him.

“She’s really pretty.” The 14th Prince whispered.

“And she’s So’s, so stay away.” The 13th Prince, said glaring at his younger brother.

"I'm not," he defensively said. "Why are you late?"

"I'm not," Hae Soo said with a teasing smile. "You are early."

"Let's just go," Wang So said, getting annoyed but Hae Soo grabbed his hand before he could grab hers.

"Let's go," she eagerly said. "But not to the prayer stones."

"But I have something to tell you," Wang So said, getting disappointed.

"A proposal maybe?" Baek ah offered, winking at the 4th Prince

"You can tell me about it later tonight. Let me first show you something really wonderful."

"What is it?" he asked as his disappointment turned into curiosity.

"You will know once we get there," she said, making his curiosity grow deeper.

"Why don't you..." he was silenced by Hae Soo's glare.

"She silenced him with one glare...." Eun whispered, shocked. 

 

 

"What is wonderful here in the Damiwon?" Wang So asked when Hae Soo stopped in front of a closed room there.

"Close your eyes."

"I don't want to," Wang So said glaring at Hae Soo but she was never frightened with that. She just covered his eyes but Wang So quickly shoved her hands away from his face.

Lady Hae smiled, slightly shocked by their behavior of the unmarried couple.

"Close your eyes or we will not go to the prayer tower later tonight," Hae Soo seriously said.

“She threatened hyungnim and remained alive? How?!” Eun was going to pass out.

"Fine," he finally agreed, closing his eyes.

‘My elder brother is more of a puppy than a wolf-dog’ Eun thought.

Hae Soo took his hand and led him forward. She did not even tell him to stop that he bumped into her.

He quickly opened his eyes and was utterly stunned.

"Happy Birthday, So!!!"

King Hyejong, Baek-Ah, Eun, and Soon Deok were standing in front of him.

"Happy Birthday, Prince So," Hae Soo greeted him with a beautiful smile.

They were all smiling happily for him.

So had never celebrated his birthday even once. Nobody cared or nobody remembered, but they planned a celebration for him. ‘I’ve found my family.’ The 4th Prince thought, smiling at the thought.

"We know you don’t like celebrating your birthday," Eun quickly said. "But Hae Soo thought we should celebrate your birthday anyway and we agreed on it. You should celebrate your birthday like this."

"Thank you..." all that Wang So could say as emotions filled him.

"Come here, brother," Baek-Ah said making him sit on the middle of a long table crowded with gifts and food. "We prepared a lot for you. For all the birthdays that you could not celebrate with us."

Wang So tried controlling his tears, filled with happiness at what he was seeing.

King Hyejong sat beside him. He still looked ill, but he looked a lot better. He was smiling like the rest of them.

"Thank you for coming," Wang So said with a bow.

“Must you bow to me brother.” Crown Prince Moo said, frowning at the thought of his brother bowing to him outside court.

“It is only appropriate.” Prince So replied.

"I want to celebrate occasions like this and I... I also need a break from being a king. Let us enjoy this day."

Wang So nodded and looked at Baek-Ah, Eun, Soon Deok, and Hae Soo, all lined up in front of him and King Hyejong.

 



After their silly dancing, they played a game of intelligence. The king even joined them and no one could beat him. He had drawn on all their hands and faces and no one could even touch a single finger of him. No one was afraid of him, it only seemed like he had read all the books in the library of Goryeo.

King Taejo proudly smiled at his eldest son.

After that they had given So their gifts.

King Hyejong had given him an amulet. He said those are for warding off bad luck.

Prince Yo snorted, “He doesn’t need that amulet, he can’t ward off bad luck if he is bad luck.”

“3rd Prince, you will not speak of your brother in a degrading manner.” King Taejo said. The 4th Prince looked up in shock at the fact that his father spoke up for him.

Eun had given him hunting equipment so they could hunt more together, though they were not really using them anyway.

So looked shocked that his younger brother gave him a gift.

Soon Deok had given him a knife with an ornamented handle and sheath.

Baek-Ah had given him a portrait of him leaning over Hae Soo who was glaring bravely back at him. He had a mask on that portrait.

“That’s near my residence isn’t it?” Prince Wook muttered while Baek ah was trying to calm himself down.

“THAT IS SO CUTE!” He squealed, unable to control himself, while everyone just stared at him, wondering what is wrong with him.

“How foul” Princess Yeon Hwa glared at the painting.

"You really are a stalker," he said at Baek-Ah who only smiled mischievously at him.

“You haven’t changed at all.” Prince So remarked, a slight blush on his cheeks.

"But that was a good memory," Hae Soo said. "Though, yes, Prince Baek-Ah is really a stalker."

They all laughed and only stopped when Eun asked, "Hae Soo, what is your gift to So?"

Hae Soo blushed and had given So a pillow and blanket with words embroidered on its edges.

May you have sweet dreams, warm nights, and pleasant sleep...

So couldn’t help blushing at the thoughtful gift from Hae Soo.

"Wow, Soo, you really do know how to write now," Baek-Ah teased.

"Of course, I am a fast learner," she said, glaring at Baek-Ah.

“She doesn’t know how to write?” King Taejo enquired,

“It seems she forgot how to write with her accident.” The 8th Princess replied.

“If she’s to be a royal bride, she must learn to write quickly.” The King ordered.

Lady Hae bowed at the King’s words, while the 4th Prince’s looked up at the words ‘Royal bride’

“Royal bride” Crown Prince Moo asked his father, who looked at his 4th son’s anxious face and smiled.

“I did say earlier that I was going to arrange for her to be married to one of the princes, seeing her….closeness to the 4th Prince, it is obvious that her marriage be arranged to Prince So.” King Taejo said.

At his father’s words, a huge smile broke out on the 4th Prince’s face. Baek  ah nudged his brother, grinning at him.

Yeon Hwa could not believe what was happening, Hae Soo marrying her orabeoni. She refused to let it happen, Prince So was supposed to marry her!

Queen Yoo and the 3rd Prince looked at each other. It was obvious that the 4th Prince was one of the strongest supporters of the Crown Prince, in the future. The 4th Prince’s marriage to Hae Soo would bring the Hae Clan to the Crown Prince’s side.

"Let's eat now," King Hyejong said and they eat together while having a light and funny conversation.

The 4th Prince wrapped his arm around Hae Soo’s waist and pulled her to him. She shook her head at his antics and kissed his cheek.

“Happy Birthday So-ya” She smiled at him, at Soo calling him by his name instead of ‘Wangjanim’ a huge smile erupted on his face.

Court Lady Oh was shocked that her successor referred to a Prince by their given name instead of their titles while King Taejo chuckled.

Baek ah looked at his 4th brother, who had a huge smile on his extremely red face.

Notes:

I can't believe I'm updating this fast but here you go!! SoSoo marriage has been officialized! You're welcome :)

Chapter 4: Chapter Three

Summary:

Wang So meets his daughter, Queen Hwangbo and Lady Oh are shocked at the actions of Queen Yoo

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Chapter Three

 

"I'm glad that you enjoyed your birthday," Hae Soo said when she and Prince So went to lake Dongji later that night.

"Thank you," Prince So said, with a grateful smile. "I really am happy."

"What is it that you wanted to say to me? You can say it now," she said and was surprised when Prince So embraced her.

“This is completely inappropriate; they aren’t even married.” Yeon Hwa muttered, annoyed at what she was seeing.

"I will say it to you on your next rest day," he promised. "You made me so happy today. I do not want to ruin this happiness. Thank you, Soo."

Hae Soo embraced him back and said, "Please, don't forget happy memories like this. When things become too tough and you feel like you cannot go on... or you feel too angry... or when you feel like going crazy... I want you to go back to memories like this... and be comforted..."

“I can’t wait for you both to get married,” Baek ah said excitedly

“She’s clearly too good for him.” 14th Prince rolled his eyes.

Queen Yoo was thinking of a way to arrange a marriage for the 14th Prince and Hae Soo instead of the 4th Prince and Hae Soo.

"Thank you, Soo..."

The scene suddenly froze, and a glow appeared, a voice spoke from this glow, "Someone from the future will be joining all of you, I hope you will welcome her." 

Everyone looked at each other, confused as to who will be joining them. 

The glow grew bigger and suddenly it disappeared and, in its place, stood a little girl, who looked like she was 3 or 4 years old. She looked around and her eyes stopped on the 4th Prince,

“Abeoji!” the girl squealed as she ran towards the 4th Prince, who froze in shock at the girl calling him father.

“I missed you abeoji, Uncle Jung said you couldn’t come to see me because you had work in the palace.” The girl pouted.

‘She looks like Hae Soo’ Wang So thought, smiling at the little girl who called him abeoji.

“She has your eyes, hyungnim” Baek ah pointed out, grinning at his brother.

Wang So hugged the girl tightly, “I’m sorry” he told the girl, a huge smile on his face.

Everyone watched in shock as the 4th Prince delicately placed the girl on his lap, ignoring everyone and listened to his daughter babble.

Queen Sinmyeongsunseong stared at the little girl, who despite looking Hae, had obvious Yoo clan traits. She couldn’t help but be fond of that girl despite who her father was.

“What is your name?” Eun asked, excited at the prospect of playing with his new niece.

“My name is Wang Seol.” She proudly announced, smiling brightly.

“Wang?!” Yeon Hwa asked, shocked that her clan name was that of her father’s.

“Abeoji named me Wang Seol” she said, smiling at her father, who smiled back in turn. So had always wanted children, someone who he could pour all his love towards.

Yeon Hwa was barely holding onto her cool, furious that Hae Soo was the mother of Wang So's child, 'That means...they.....'  

The scene unfroze on the curtain, and everyone turned their attention from a very joyful Wang So to the curtain.

King Hyejong came to the Damiwon for a bath and while his body was partially submerged in the water he said, "Lately after I take a bath... I feel so weary... When I wake up from my sleep... I do not know if it is yesterday or today. My memory is so fuzzy..."
“Wangjanim….” Ji Mong looked worried, Moo gave him a look, as to say “It was bound to happen.”

Hae Soo listened to him and was worried.

“Abeoji!” Seol exclaimed, pulling at So’s hanbok, “That’s eomma isn’t it” She said joyfully, her eyes sparkling.

“Yes, it is Seol-ah,” So replied, smiling at his daughter.

Hae Soo asked the doctor but he was still saying that it was because the king had difficulty sleeping.

Hae Soo was getting frustrated. She had used every medicine to help the king's bath be a comfortable experience for him... but it was still not helping...

‘What am I doing wrong?’

"The doctor says that you are lacking sleep," Hae Soo said though she was beginning to doubt that now. The only thing she could say to the king was, "I will provide you tea and a pillow to help you with your sleep."

King Hyejong only sighed wearily.

"I will leave Chae Ryung here, so please soak on the bath a little longer," Hae Soo said and she went to Chae Ryung who was waiting on a corner.

“Chae Ryung has been emancipated?” The 8th Princess looked surprised.

"Are you following all of my instructions for the king's bath?" Hae Soo asked.

"Yes, Lady Soo," Chae Ryung said, looking frightened.

“Who is this girl?” King Taejo enquired,

“She’s a slave at my household, Pyeha.” The 8th Prince answered.

Hae Soo smiled and patted Chae Ryung's shoulder.

"I'm not angry," she said. "Just be careful with the king's bath. Follow every instruction I gave you. We don't want to worsen his condition."

“She shouldn’t trust a barely experienced court lady with the king’s bath.” Court Lady Oh frowned.

"Y...yes... Lady Soo..."

Hae Soo patted Chae Ryung's shoulder again and went to the kitchen. She would prepare tea for the king.



Hae Soo went to lake Dongji and she was right. Prince So was there. She sat beside him.

"He is getting worst," he said with a worried sigh. "When I was on my trip with Baek-Ah someone told me that he had killed an assassin on his room... but some were saying that it was a court lady he had killed. Jimong told me that it was the latter. He said that the king's hallucinations were getting worst particularly when he was lacking sleep for a few days..." he let out another sigh then uttered, "I do not know what to do anymore. There were times that I can put him to sleep for hours but there were those nights that I could not. It was frustrating."

Crown Prince Moo looked horrified, “I…killed a court lady?!”

“He’s that unwell…” Ji Mong whispered, frightened.

The King did not know what to say, while the 3rd Prince and Queen Yoo smirked.

"Just help him with the best that you can," Hae Soo said. "I am also frustrated but I can't stop helping him."

"He had killed a court lady. Are you not scared?" Prince So asked also worrying about her.

“I can’t believe this…” Prince Moo looked distraught,

"Your brother is sick," she said with a sad smile. "I should help him feel better, not fear him and make him feel worse."

Court Lady Oh looked proudly at the girl, “I’ve trained her well.” Concubine Oh said.

"I hope his doctor could determine what is really wrong with him and stop saying that he is only lacking sleep," Prince So said with a frustrated sigh.

"Just keep on comforting your brother," Hae Soo advised. "Maybe he was just worrying too much about the throne that he could not sleep well. Help him relax. I will deliver tea in his room tonight."

"I will bring it to him," he said and as Hae Soo got to her feet, he grabbed her hand and held it tightly. "I hope he gets better, Soo. I hope he could go back to his old self. I don't want to see another fight for the throne..."

"Another?" Eun asked, confused.

"Me too..." Hae Soo said, holding Prince So's hand just as tight.

'He should be coming to me for comfort' Princess Yeon Hwa thought, upset at how close her 4th brother was to Hae Soo.

 

 

Wang So went to King Hyejong's room. He was lying down on his bed but his eyes were moving everywhere as if he was seeing too many frightening things.

King Taejo looked really upset seeing his son’s state

"I brought you tea," Wang So said. "Hae Soo made this so you could sleep well tonight."

King Hyejong sat up and took the cup from Wang So.

He smiled as he took a sip from the cup.

"So, can you stay here? I feel so scared whenever I am alone in here," he said, still looking fearfully around the room.

Crown Prince Moo couldn’t believe what he was seeing.

Wang So only nodded.

"If only I can trust other people to take care of the border issues... then I can make you stay here... and never leave... maybe I... am not feeling any of this..."

"Just try to leave your problems on the throne so you can sleep well when you are here in your room," Wang So said. "You don't have to do it every night. Just give yourself enough time to rest your mind and body. You need to strengthen yourself and hold this peace for as long as you can."

Prince Moo and Prince So smiled at each other, ‘He’s loyal, unlike his family’ the crown prince thought,

"I don't know, So..." the king doubtfully said. "I feel weaker with the passing of days. This illness... is really taking a toll on my body..."

"Fight it," Wang So encouraged his older brother. "You need to get stronger. Don't let that illness defeat you."

"Alright," the king said, smiling weakly at him. "I will do that. Thank you, So..."

"Sleep now," he said, taking the cup from the king as soon as he emptied it. "Leave your worries to me for tonight."

King Hyejong only nodded and tried to sleep.

He did sleep soundly that night and Wang So was grateful for it. He did not leave his older brother until the sun had risen.


“Prince So, it’s good that you’re being a good source of support to your elder brother.” King Taejo said.

 

 

 

Wook entered the King’s chamber,

That night, he decided to visit the king and his timing was simply perfect. The king was shaking under his blanket. He looked at Wook and the disappointment on his face added to Wook's anger.

“Why do you look upset?” Queen Hwangbo frowned.

"Where is So?" he asked as his shaking intensified.

"Maybe he is with Soo," Wook said and the king seemed fine with it.

‘Someone he belonged to’ So smiled at thought of someone being there for him and him alone at the end of each day.

"He should be with the woman he likes..." the king whispered with a small smile before that mad look returned to his face. "Wook... something is wrong with me lately. Only So can put me to sleep. When he was not around, I cannot sleep at all. When I try to sleep... I am having nightmares. And... I feel so cold on a middle of a summer season..."

‘So... All of you are always mentioning So... It is infuriating...’

“Wook….” So looked at his twin in shock.

"Your Majesty..." Wook coldly said, trying not to explode with anger. He needed to make this one right. "I believe... the time has come. Why don't you abdicate the throne to me?"

“HOW DARE YOU?!” King Taejo shouted at his 8th son,

“Pyeha! This is the future, our Wook has no plans or thoughts of taking the throne!” Queen Hwangbo pleaded.

Court Lady Oh placed her hand on the King’s shoulder, trying to calm him down.

Queen Yoo and Prince Yo looked at each other, surprise etched on their face at what they were seeing.

The rest of the Princes could only stare in shock.

"What?" King Hyejong looked at Wook with fear.

"I know you told Choi Jimong to spread false rumors about you being a son of a dragon," Wook went on, frightening the king further. "Because of the severe rashes on your skin, you have scale-like scarring."

“Rashes?” The 3rd Prince enquired, “Why haven’t we heard anything about this?”

“The Prince is in perfect health at the moment, I’m sure its something that occurs in the future.” Ji Mong lied.

The 3rd Prince looked skeptical but left the topic.

"Wook... you..."

"If you abdicate to me... I will help you live in comfort for the rest of your life."

The king only stared at him with shock.

"The throne is a burden. For your sake... and for the country's sake, why don't you let that burden go?"

“My sons….” King Taejo couldn’t believe what he was seeing.

"No!" the king yelled. "Go away! I won't abdicate to you!"

Wook bowed low to the king and said, "I only want to free you from the throne's burden, Your Majesty. If you ever change your mind about it, I am hoping that you will abdicate the throne to me."

“I hope you remove any ideas of claiming Goryeo for yourself, 8th Prince.” King said, staring at his 8th son.

Princess Yeon hwa clenched her jaw as the 8th Prince and Princess bowed their heads.

 

 

Wang So stared at the King, who looked like a mad man, scared of his hallucinations and it was really worrying and frustrating.

Everyone stared at the scene in shock, the usually calm and level headed Prince looked as though he was insane.

Wang So turned to Ji Mong, who said, “Wook visited the king last night and he suddenly became like this. He’s so frightened that he wants to give his daughter to Khitan in return for their support.”

“My daughter….Khitan?!” Prince Moo could not believe what he was hearing

‘What should I do?’   Wang So thought

Jimong was taking the child to the palanquin and Wang So could see the fear in the child's eyes but his father was only looking at her while shaking with fear.

The child stopped and looked back at her father, crying.

"Go!" his father yelled, frightened. "You must go in order for us and for this nation to survive."

"Your Majesty, I do not want to get married," the child pleaded.

"You, dumb child! We are doing this to save many lives!" King Hyejong yelled then ran towards his child. "Get going! Go now! Leave!" he was pushing his crying daughter to the palanquin and Jimong finally found the courage to stop him.

"Your Majesty, she is still so young," Jimong reasoned. "How can you send her to Khitan? This is not right."

"If she married into Khitan, they will send troops when I am in danger," King Hyejong said and it was unlike him to act that cowardly. He was always filled with courage whenever he was in the middle of the battlefield but now he looked like a frightened child. He was looking around, hearing things no one could hear. "Did anyone hear that? I'm sure that I heard horses coming."

Wang So's heart was breaking, seeing his older brother like that.

"Go! You don't know when you will die here. You need to go now!" he took his child and pushed her again towards the palanquin.

Ji Mong stared at his best friend, “Moo-ya….”

"Father!" the child cried, sending painful memories back to Wang So's mind.

The scene suddenly shifted, A young Prince So was tied on top of a pillar, crying “Eomoni” repeatedly,

So remembered this, the Shinju Clan tied him on a pillar. They were expecting Queen Yoo to back down seeing her son, his mother did no such thing though. So turned Seol’s attention towards him and covered her ears, not wanting his daughter to see or hear this.

Queen Yoo, looked away and told the archers to shoot, arrows lit with fire were shot at where the 4th Prince was tied. One of the arrows almost burned the Prince’s face, as he sobbed.

General Park shook his head as chaos erupted in the chamber.

“How could you?!” Queen Hwangbo and Court Lady Oh exclaimed at the same time, staring at Queen Yoo in shock. They could not believe a mother would ever allow that to happen.

Princess Yeon Hwa, Lady Hae and Prince Baek ah stared at the Queen with disgust clearly displayed on their faces.

Prince Eun and Prince Wook could not believe that Queen Sinmyeongsunseong would allow something like this.

“You just watched while she allowed your son to be killed?!” Lady Oh turned to the King and glared.

“I couldn’t let my clan’s pride be hurt” Queen Yoo said, unknowingly hurting her son more.

Prince Yo shifted on his seat, uncomfortable with what was happening.

“So you’d let your son be killed?! You really are a monster!” Queen Sinjeong spat, looking at the Queen in disgust.

“How dare you speak to me that way!” Queen Yoo screamed.

“It’s alright Queen Sinjeong and Court Lady Oh.” The 4th Prince said, smiling at both the women.

“Queen Sinmyeongsunseong wouldn’t have allowed anything to like that to happen had it been one of her sons,” He continued,

“Anyone who dare harm 3rd Prince and 14th Prince would have their hands chopped off.” Everyone stared at the 4th Prince, who indirectly stated that Queen Yoo is not his mother.

The 14th Prince thought whatever his mother said and did was always right, but this, he simply could not accept. The 4th Prince was her son too, how could she let him be hurt. The 14th Prince was starting to see his mother in a new light.

The child's begging was like his back then... and it shattered his heart when his mother only ignored his pleading and let the arrows come past him and into the Shinju Clan's soldiers.

He could not let that kind of misery come to his brother's child.

He stepped forward and held King Hyejong's child.

"Please stop!" he yelled at his brother. "Khitan? She will be nothing but a hostage if she is sent there. You need to see things straight!"

“At least your son can think properly, unlike you who sent a 5-year-old to Shinju.” Court Lady Oh glared at King Taejo

“I have made mistakes Soo-Yeon” King Taejo muttered.

"What do you know?" the king yelled back at him. "I fear that I will be assassinated every night and I have not slept well even once. People I once trusted are now asking me to abdicate! They are telling me to give up the throne... I will end up dying at this rate. We will all end up dead. Who will protect us?"

"Your Majesty... you cannot give your daughter as a hostage just to survive. I do not know everything... but I do know how difficult it was to be a hostage. Please... don't let your child suffer like I did..."

The king looked at him then said, "Will you do it then? Will you marry the princess and protect us?"

“Hyungnim, how could you ask that? It was obvious that So was planning on marrying Hae Soo.” Eun frowned.

Wang So was silenced with that question. He was not expecting that.



Notes:

Seol is here!!

Chapter 5: Chapter Four

Summary:

Wang So doesn't deliver on his proposal, Wang Eun is a jealous husband and Seol is a good daughter.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Chapter Four

 

 

Hae Soo was standing near Lake Dongji, waiting for the 4th Prince, but she was confused as to why Prince So was not there yet? He was usually the one arriving early.

“Eomma looks really pretty.” Seol said, smiling at the scene in front of her.

She waited a few more minutes and her heart raced when Prince So arrived, yet she did not show it to him. He made her wait.

She bowed at him with a cold face while saying, "You have arrived."

“Aigoo, you’ve upset my hyungsoo-nim.” Baek ah teased, So glared at him.

"Oh no," he said, and he seemed to be teasing her again. "I didn't think you would really come, so I took my time getting here. Did you wait long?"

"I did!" Hae Soo snapped at him. "You should have come early. You are the one who was going to tell me something important, right?"

“It seems like you were going to propose,” Prince Moo sighed, “And I’ve ruined it.”

"Something important?" Prince So asked and he really seemed clueless at what Hae Soo had said.

Hae Soo was worried as Prince So looked like he was trying to remember.

"Oh, right. I did say that," he said, creasing his forehead as he tried to remember more. "What was it again?"

“Why would you tease her like that hyungnim, she looks so upset, what if she doesn’t agree to marry you then.” Eun said, worried

“Hyungnim” Baek ah called out as he pointed towards Seol, “Seol exists.” Prince Eun blushed as Prince So laughed.

"Are you not feeling well?" Hae Soo asked, getting more worried.

"I am fine," Prince So said and he looked embarrassed. "I just cannot remember what it was that I should to tell you. What was it again?" he asked quietly again and again, scratching his head then he looked at Hae Soo and asked her, "What was it?"

"Why would you ask me that?" Hae Soo asked and her worry was turning into annoyance. It seemed like Prince So was only playing with her. "You are the one who asked to meet here. Why would you forget if it were something important? Are you just wasting my time?"

Yeon hwa rolled her eyes.

"What? Did you get your hopes up thinking that it was really something important?" he really seemed to be teasing her.

Hae Soo only glared at Prince So.

"Ah... now I feel bad," he said and Hae Soo looked like she wanted to kick him hard.

"I'll go now," she said but Prince So grabbed her hand.

"Let's do something else," he said. "I don't want you to go just like that."

He pulled her to his boat and rode it around lake Dongji.

“Hyungnim you have a boat?” Eun asked, shocked yet excited at seeing a boat.

Prince So nodded as Seol said “whenever I visit the palace, abeoji takes me out on his boat, it’s so much fun!” The 4th Prince smiled at his daughter fondly.

Prince So moved the boat sideways and Hae Soo gasped with fear. She glared at Prince So who only laughed at her.

But him laughing like that still made Hae Soo smile. He looked so free when he was laughing like that. It was as rare as his smile.

"Can't you go any faster?" Hae Soo asked, earning confidence the longer they traveled lake Dongji. "I want to feel the breeze."

"Do you want to row?" Prince So snapped at her.

“Hyungnim, you should be wooing her, what is this?” Baek ah shook his head, disappointed with his brother.

"Fine," she said, glaring at him. "Row however you want to row."

They fell silent again when a thought crossed Hae Soo's mind.

"This is your boat, right?"

"I brought it to the palace when I was younger," he said looking reminiscently at a distance. "With a scar on my face and being an adopted child to another clan, the people here in the palace were always gossiping about me. I want to stay away from all of them... and this boat helped me greatly. I did not have to care about them whenever I was in this boat. This thing is my most precious possession here in the palace."

“Are you proud of yourself?” Lady Oh glared at the King, “You have hurt your own child beyond repair.” 

The King sighed.

"But I haven't seen you used this boat until this moment," Hae Soo wondered. "You are just sleeping on this boat every time."

He stopped rowing then said with a sad look in his eyes, "Because I like this thing too much. If I do something I like too much, I might not want to leave the palace. That was the reason I stopped using this."

Almost everyone’s heart broke at that.

Prince Jung could not believe what he was hearing, his mother had always told him that his 4th brother was bad luck, a curse and that he had hurt everyone around him. But all he could see was that his brother was broken inside and he just needed love, love that he was clearly willing to give.

Hae Soo fell silent and she could only stare at Prince So as her heart pained for his past.

"Why are you staring?" Prince So asked, wondering.

"I was thinking how painful it must be for you to turn away from something you like. I am glad that you are now able to do the things that you like."

“I’m sorry So-ya.” Crown Prince Moo apologized, feeling horrible.

It was Prince So who fell silent for a moment before he somberly uttered, "I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"For forgetting the important thing that I wanted to say to you..."

‘He really did not forget. Something was stopping him. But what was it?’ Hae Soo thought

She wanted to ask it out loud but decided not to. ‘He’ll certainly tell me about it when he was ready to talk about it but until then I will wait.’

She gave him a smile of understanding and said, "I'm sure you will remember soon. You can take your time."

“How is she this perfect?” So mused

 

 

Wang So felt terribly mad at everything that had happened that day. His heart felt like it was being crushed repeatedly.

‘Should he just stay miserable? Will the people important to him live a happier life if he kept on living miserably?’

"You made a very big decision," Jimong said, standing beside him on the terrace of the tower.

"If I marry the princess, Queen Yoo and the Shinju family will falsely believe that I am in line for the throne. I will control the other families. The attacks on the king will be reduced," he bitterly said.

Queen Yoo looked surprised at her third son’s bitter tone, So had always loved her dearly, even when she threw him away.

King Taejo was proud that his son was understanding the clans and working his way through them.

"You have already calculated that far ahead," Jimong said and he was trying to lighten up Wang So's mood. "Your political skills have improved a lot."

“Indeed, they have.” King Taejo agreed

"There is one thing I cannot solve," Wang So looked tired. "Am I back to being a dog on a leash that protects my brother." he looked at Jimong, desperately wanting an answer. "Is this my destiny?"

“Your destiny is far greater 4th Prince” Ji Mong muttered,

“I am sick and tired of having to turn my back on the things I like, things always go awry. Tell me, how can I cut this leash and be free?” He asked Ji Mong.

"Most people would bite their owners and become dogs that takes over the house," Ji Mong answered.

Everyone stared at Jimong, “I am loyal to the King” he said, smiling at everyone.

“Are you telling me to revolt?” Wang So stared at Choi Ji Mong, shocked that he said those words.

He laughed softly, “As if I would”

“It was simply a jest.” Choi Ji Mong said.

"Thank you for protecting his majesty,” Jimong said, staring seriously at Wang So then he looked back up at the stars and sadly uttered, "He will not hold on to you for long."

Prince Moo sadly smiled at his friend, who looked really upset.

“Hyungnim….” So looked equally upset.

"So!" Baek-Ah yelled excitedly as he entered the tower.

"I need to go and check the king's condition," Jimong said before descending the tower.

"What happened?" he asked and the excitement on his face vanished. "Why do you look so serious? Did Hae Soo reject you again?"

Again?!” So yelped, just how many times had he proposed to her,

“It seems out hyungsoo-nim is playing hard to get.” Jung commented, Baek ah turned to look at the 14th Prince in shock, Jung had always kept quiet when Hae Soo and his hyungnim came up, maybe with a couple of exceptions where he indirectly insulted So.

"I didn't say anything to her," Wang So wearily sighed as he sat on the terrace.

"Why?" Baek-Ah asked, sitting beside him.

"I can't say anything to her... when I am about... to marry the king's daughter."

“I’m really sorry So-ya,” Moo apologized,

“My duty to you always comes first hyungnim,” So solemnly said.

“Well, this won’t be a worry now, as Prince So is already betrothed to Lady Hae Soo,” The King said. So smiled.

"What?" Baek-Ah was shocked. "Why?"

"This is the only way I can protect him and his child," he said with a heavy sigh.

He lied down on the terrace and looked at the night sky with longing.

"Baek-Ah... should I... just run away with Hae Soo?"

“Uncle Baek ah did that.” Seol giggled, staring at her 13th uncle,

So raised an eyebrow, “What did he do?”

“Uncle Jung said that Uncle Baek ah ran away from the palace to become a musician.”

“I’m not surprised,” King Taejo smiled at his son, who looked excited at the fact that he left the palace.

His younger brother only answered him with silence. They both knew that running away was never an option.



 

"This is an appeal from Wang Gyu," Wook was reading from a scroll in front of the king.

"This is a request I had made twice to the late king," Wook went on reading. "I believe Prince So should be thrown out of the palace. His older brother Yo was already disloyal to you, Your Majesty."

“Orabeoni, how could you even allow that to be heard?” Yeon Hwa looked at her brother in shock.

“What happened to Yo-ya?!” Queen Yoo asked, concerned if the Yoo clan had gone out of power, her 3rd son was her key to the throne after all.

“He probably staged a coup and failed.” King Taejo answered, 3rd Prince looked worried.

"You can stop," the king said. "In any case, the point of that appeal is likely to get me to give up the throne for you, Wook. That is why I do not need to hear any more of that."

“You’ve really stooped down low in the future, Wook.” King Taejo said, shaking his head.

"I believe I have given you the wrong idea, Your Majesty," Wook said trying to hide his annoyance. "I merely wanted to help lessen your burden in any way. My words were out of loyalty. Did my words anger you?"

"No," the king said and the smile on his face widened. "Just like you said, I plan on sharing my burden with a brother."

“Oh…” Baek ah realized what was going to happen,

Those words made Wook anxious.

"Your Majesty, the Fourth Prince would like to see you," the eunuch outside the throne room announced.

"Tell him to enter," the king said and Prince So entered with a eunuch behind him.

"Greetings to you, Your Majesty," So said.

"The Fourth Prince is going to marry my eldest daughter," the king announced, surprising and angering Wook. "However, the princess is young and unable to start a family. I said it is fine if she is the second wife."

“You’re going to make me your crown prince?!” The 4th Prince asked in shock, he had never wished to be king anyway.

“I was actually planning on it, once I became king.” Crown Prince Moo smiled at his younger brother.

Wook forced a smile on his face but he was aggravated by this arrangement.

So took a folded paper from inside his robe and said, "Choi Jimong has chosen a wedding day."

The eunuch took that paper from him and gave it to the king.

"I have taken your advice, Wook," the king said with a wicked smile. "I plan on abdicating to So."

“You would let Goryeo be given to him?!” Queen Yoo looked at King Taejo in shock,

Before King Taejo could say anything, Yeon Hwa replied, “It is clear that the 4th Prince has proven himself capable of holding that position.”

Queen Yoo glared at the Hwangbo Princess, who was plotting a way to arrange her marriage to Prince So.

It made Wook more furious.

"He is my brother and son-in-law," the king went on. "He is the perfect man I can abdicate to. Don't you agree, Wook?"

"Of course, Your Majesty," Wook said, still with a forced smile. This was bad for him but So getting married would only mean one thing to his relationship with Soo. "Congratulations on your marriage," he said to So with a mocking smile. "I hope there are no girls crying over losing such a good man. Isn't that right, Your Majesty?"

“How could you be so cruel….” Eun said, looking at his 8th brother, who was very silent.

So was clearly annoyed at his words and it was enough to calm the rage inside of him.

 

 

 

"Soo! You said you would do my makeup for me," Soon Deok irritably said. "Why are you not doing it? Why did you put this thing on my face?"

“Make up?! My daughter?!” General Park looked shocked.

"Just lie down in there, 10th Princess," Hae Soo patiently said. "It would only take a few hours."

“10th Princess?!” Eun shrieked,

“I marry her?!” The 10th Prince looked like someone had stabbed him,

“Ah it seems I was right, hyungnim did marry Lady Soon Deok,” Prince Jung laughed.

General Park glared at the 10th Prince.

“Few hours?!"

"What is this?" Prince Baek-Ah asked, arriving at the Damiwon.

He bent over Prince Jung, curious at the face mask Hae Soo put on him and that was when he had smelled something familiar.

"This smells like roses," he said looking at Hae Soo with annoyance. "You used that Bulgarian rose oil that I gave you on Jung?"

“Hyungnim!” Jung ah yelled at Baek ah, looking indignant.

"My expertise was being questioned, so why bother saving it?" Hae Soo said with a guilty smile. "I put in lots, Jung-nim and Lady Soon Deok's skin will become very soft because of that oil."

"It seems I'm close to Hae Soo as well," the 14th Prince noted the fact that she referred to him by his given name instead of title. 

"She should know her place." Queen Yoo glared, Jung placed his hand over his mother's,

"Eomoni, Hae Soo is going to be my hyungsoo-nim, it'll be better now that she's my friend too."

Queen Yoo looked displeased but didn't say anything.

"He wields a sword every day and is so rough! Why waste such a precious thing on him?!"

“Yah, I’ll hit you with my sword.” Jung glared at his elder brother, who alongside the 10th, 4th, and Crown Prince started laughing at the 14th Prince’s reaction.

"13th Prince!" Prince Jung was about to stand but Hae Soo kept him down.

"Stay still," she firmly said. "You cannot move for two hours."

"Two hours?!"

"Yes, Lady Soon Deok," Hae Soo said with a wider smile. "Your husband will like it very much. You just have to be more patient."

“She’s trying to please me…?” The 10th Prince looked conflicted

And with the mention of his husband, Soon Deok listened and waited patiently.

“She’s a good wife.” Queen Hwangbo said, as General Park stared at her in horror.

"Do you also want me to take care of your skin?" Hae Soo asked smiling at Prince Baek-Ah.

"Maybe later," he said, and his annoyance suddenly turned into anxiety as he asked, "Did hyungnim mention anything to you?"

“Soo-ya is going to be really upset.” Lady Hae said, frowning.

"Mention what?" Hae Soo asked, also worrying. "Is there something wrong with him?"

"He should tell you about it."

"What is it?" Hae Soo asked as her anxiety grew deeper.

"So should be the one to tell you," he seriously repeated. "I will go and tell him that he should inform you. Just wait here."

"Prince Baek-Ah!"

But the Thirteenth Prince never looked back at her and just walked straight out of the Damiwon, leaving Hae Soo with too much anxiety.

“You shouldn’t have mentioned it.” So glared at his younger brother.

 

 

Prince Jung and Lady Seon Deok were going down Damiwon’s stairs.

"Oh... your skin does look much brighter," Prince Jung said, staring intently at Soon Deok's face. "Your skin looks clearer like Hae Soo said it would."

“I’m close to Lady Seon Deok too,” Jung looked pleased at the thought of another friend who liked martial arts like him,

“You should have married her then.” Eun muttered.

"Really? Are all the spots gone too?" Soon Deok asked, looking extremely excited.

Unnoticed by them, Prince Eun entered Damiwon.

"Yes, your face looks bright and shiny," Prince Jung said, smiling. "It looks very good."

“Yah, you don’t know how to respectfully talk to your hyungsoo-nim” Eun glared at Jung,

“She’s my friend too!”

They were so amazed with each other's face that they did not notice Prince Eun arriving. He too looked anxious but it was replaced with irritation when she saw Soon Deok and Prince Jung staring at and complimenting each other's face.

“It seems Eun hyungnim is jealous” Baek ah said, laughing at Eun’s reaction.

"Your face was very dark before, but it has brightened up, Jung. It's even firmer," Soon Deok said, touching Prince Jung's face.

"Nice going, you two," Prince Eun said, walking closer to Soon Deok and Prince Jung. They both stared at him, surprised. "Firm, bright... What are all those words? How disgusting..."

“Hyungnim is so jealous.” Jung and Baek ah said at the same time as they broke out laughing, while the Crown Prince, Wook and So chuckled.

“I am not jealous,” Eun proclaimed, glaring at his brothers

"Hyungnim, you have it all wrong," Prince Jung said.

"You had the wrong idea about my relationship with Hae Soo and bothered me about it. Now, you go seduce your brother-in-law?!" he told his wife.

“Relationship with Hae Soo?” Prince So asked,

General Park glared more at the 10th Prince.

 “You’re going to hurt her feelings Eun-ah.” Crown Prince Moo disappointedly said.

"At least Hae Soo wasn’t like you!" Prince Eun continued.

“I’m going to knock some sense into you now” General Park said looking at Eun, who gulped in fear.

“Stop it already! You really are too much sometimes.” the 10th Princess told her husband and walked away angrily.

Hae Soo came in and saw what was happening,

“What a bad temper...” The 10th Prince called out, watching his wife leave.

“Why drag Hae Soo into this because you envy hyungsoo-nim’s good relationship with me.” Prince Jung said, worried that Seon Deok would be really upset.

“Eun liked Hae Soo?!” Baek ah asked, shocked at what was being implied.

Wang So glared at Eun, who stuttered, “Well, it is obvious that even if I did like…. her earlier…I don’t now, I have a wife!”

“You’re putting many people in awkward situations.” Jung continued.

Hae Soo gave Eun a pointed glare, “You don’t know your own feelings Wangjanim. You have lot of interest in a wife you say you do not like. Why must you act so jaded?”

“Obviously hyungnim likes Lady Seon Deok, why else would he have gotten so upset.” The 14th Prince nodded, while Eun glared at him.

“Forget it!” The 10th Prince exclaimed, “The most useless thing in the world is marriage,”

Hae Soo rolled her eyes,

“It seems she’s quite comfortable with all the Princes,” Queen Hwangbo remarked.

“Jung, you should just live alone.” He continued, “So-hyungnim should just forget it while he still can.”

“And Eun has broken hyungsoo-nim’s heart.” Baek ah sighed, as So glared at Eun.

“So-hyungnim is getting married!?” Jung asked, shocked that his elder brother was getting married.

“You didn’t know? Hyungnim is going to become the king’s son-in-law, I heard the wedding is going to be soon.” Prince Eun informed Jung.

Soo felt like her whole world was going to break into pieces.

“ugh” So grumbled, Seol looking at her father being upset, hugged him tightly. So’s frustration turned into happiness at his daughter hugging him. This little girl was half him and half Hae Soo, and she could not be more perfect.

 

 

Notes:

So I initially planned on completing episode 14 (except the return of 3rd Prince Yo) in this chapter, but ML: SHR has always been very detailed, so here you go. Hope you enjoyed the chapter!

(Also, I love your comments, I'm glad to see you all are enjoying what I write, It's really encouraging.)

Chapter 6: Chapter Five

Summary:

So is a disappointment, everyone finds out Hae Soo dies, Wang So is jealous.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Chapter Five

 



When Wang So entered Damiwon, he found Hae Soo sitting on the stairs, looking so down.

‘She had already heard about it...’

Wang So glared at Wang Eun

He walked up the stairs and Hae Soo quickly got to her feet and looked at him with both sadness and anger.

"You can hate me... and resent me," Wang So said. "This is entirely my fault."

"Why would I hate and resent you?" she asked, trying to control her emotions. "It is not as if you made a promise to me."

“Ouch” Baek ah said, looking at his elder brother.

"When I said I would take you out of the palace," he said, his heartbreaking, "When I said I wanted to see you free. Everything I said to you was a promise. I ended up being unable to keep them."

"Are you not even going to give me an excuse?" she asked, getting even more upset.

“That’s like the basic rule, you should explain what has happened.” Moo shook his head.

"I have already caused the problem and you have been hurt. I broke your trust. Whatever the reason…the fact I broke your trust doesn’t change; I don’t want to talk any further about this.”

“Yah, yah, yah hyungnim! You have to console her not make her more upset.” Baek ah said, rubbing his forehead.

Hae Soo sighed, with tears falling from her eyes, she nodded, "I understand. I won’t ask any more questions."

‘Wang men are always disappointments, all they can do is make empty promises,’ Lady Oh thought, feeling bad for her successor.

Wang So could only look at Hae Soo and those tears she was shedding were like knives piercing his chest.

‘I'm sorry, Soo...’

The Crown Prince and the 13th Prince looked at the 4th Prince and rolled their eyes.

So was so scared that he was going to lose Hae Soo, despite his daughter existing.

"Congratulations...on your marriage," she said, bowing low to him before leaving him with a painful chest.

“Why did you make eomma sad, abeoji?” Princess Seol looked at her father, who looked very sad himself, he looked at his daughter and sadly smiled, “I didn’t mean to Seol-ah.”

“I don’t see what the big deal is, so what if So has a wife, can’t she be his second wife?” Yo asked, puzzled at Hae Soo’s reaction.

“Some women don’t like it when their husband has more than one wife,” Prince Wook stated, Lady Hae looked upset at the fact that Hae Soo was hurt.

 

 

Hae Soo was mad at everything.

She was mad at the king for marrying his daughter to Prince So. Why was it even legal at that time to marry your relative? And she was only a child. That was unfair to Prince So and to that child.

Why did the king allow that? Had he gone that crazy?

“She shouldn’t think of a king in that way,” Court Lady Oh frowned,

“We can’t control a woman’s thought, Soo Yeon” the King chuckled.

Should she tell King Hyejong that whatever he does, Prince So will be the next king. Or had something she did change everything. Will Prince Wook become king now?

She was mad at herself for not paying attention to history. She should have known everything and not just pieces of it.

“This is why you must always pay attention to your education; you do not know when it might come in handy.” Cho Ji Mong said, grinning.

She was mad at the princes for not being able to give her a reason for Prince So's marriage other than he wanted the throne.

And she was most furious at Prince So. He should have given her an excuse. He should have told Prince Baek-Ah why he was marrying the king's daughter but Prince So was keeping everything to himself.

Wang So winced.

Even Jimong was not telling them anything.

Everything was maddening! I hate everything in this era!

“Things must be quite different from where she comes from,” Prince Yo smirked

"Soo-ya, it is Baek-Ah," she heard him from the other side of the door. "I'm coming in."

Hae Soo sighed before she got to her feet and welcomed Prince Baek-Ah.

"How are you feeling?" he anxiously asked.

"I'm doing fine as always," she lied with a forced smile.

"Well, Hyungnim wanted me to give you this letter. He said it is fine if you consider this his explanation."

“Thank Buddha you gave her a proper explanation,” Prince Wook smiled

Hae Soo opened the envelope and read the letter. There were only a few characters written on it.

"When the water has run dry, sit and watch for the rising clouds."

“That was eomma’s favorite poem!” Seol said, smiling brightly, “Eomma had written over hundreds of times, there are so many copies of it in her boxes.”

“Was?” Lady Hae enquired,

“Eomma isn’t with us, she became an angel and she went to heaven. I never knew her. I only know from what Abeoji, Uncle Baek ah, and Uncle Jung tell me, and all her belongings that she left behind.” Seol looked sad, “I wish I had met her.”

Everyone froze in shock, staring at the child in shock, “Soo-ya…..is..is dead?” So asked, feeling as though his entire world had collapsed.

“Dead?” Seol frowned, “She’s just gone somewhere far away abeoji.”

The silence in the room was broken by Hae Myung Hee’s silent sobs, the 8th Prince held his wife in his arms, consoling her as she sobbed, “She couldn’t even raise her daughter”

“Seol ah, go to Uncle Baek ah” So said, unable to control the tears flowing from his eyes.

“Hyungnim…” Prince Eun, Baek ah, and Jung said at the same time, feeling bad for their elder brother, who had his face covered in his hands as his body shook with silent sobs.

Princess Yeon Hwa smirked, if Hae Soo was dead, that meant that she could marry Wang So.

Baek ah, Moo and Eun helped So compose himself as King Taejo sadly watched on

'He destroys everything good' Queen Yoo thought

"Zhongnan Mountain Villa, by Wang Wei" Prince Baek-Ah said.

"I had no idea that he wrote so well," Hae Soo said, realizing something.

Most people looked shocked at the fact that Prince So had such a beautiful handwriting,

"There is so much more I do not know about him. I must have been mistaken in thinking that I knew everything. How foolish of me..."

"He meant it when he said that he wanted to leave the palace with you," Prince Baek-Ah said, defending his most favored brother. "I know that for certain."

King Taejo frowned at the fact that his 4th son wished to leave the palace. The palace was his destiny.

“Thank you Baek ah” The 4th Prince sadly smiled.

Hae Soo only smiled at Prince Baek-Ah.

She too knew that Prince So was sincere in saying those words to her. But why did everything change so suddenly?

She was really frustrated. She wanted to hear more from Prince So but why had he given her a poem instead of a simpler explanation? Why would he give her a poem she could not understand?

“You should always explain yourself to the woman you love,” the 8th Prince advised her brother-in-law

"Prince Baek-Ah, thank you for delivering this letter. But could you please, leave me for now? I want to be alone."

"I understand," Prince Baek-Ah said, letting out a heavy sigh before leaving the room.

Hae Soo sighed and sat back on her chair.

"What am I supposed to do with you? Why are you this quiet, Prince So? I want an explanation from you... not a poem..."

Wang So sighed.

She put the letter on the table and put an empty paper over it. She held the brush and traced Prince So's handwriting over and over again.

When the water has run dry, sit and watch for the rising clouds...

She repeated those words on her mind while she traced them but still, she could not understand what Prince So was trying to tell her.

She could not help but remember the words he had said to her when he proposed...

“You proposed earlier?!” Eun asked, shocked that his 4th brother proposed,

“She probably said no,” Yo said.

While it was hard to travel as an ambassador, I often felt very free. I thought of you every time. I want you to feel freedom like that. I want to be with you in peace, with nothing getting in our way. If that cannot happen, then everything else in my life would lose its meaning...

“Hae Soo wanted to leave the palace,” Lady Oh said, “Who wouldn’t want to…”

 

 

Prince Jung climbed up the stairs of a temple, he had not seen his mother during the past couple of days. The Queen’s entourage was standing outside the temple entrance.

“Since when were you religious eomoni?” Yo asked,

The Queen gave him a look.

“Is my mother inside?” Prince Jung asked one of the court ladies, “Her majesty has asked not to let anyone inside while she is in.” the court lady replied.

“I am allowed. I’m worried because she has been gone for days.” Prince Jung said, the court lady stood in the 14th Prince’s way as he tried to enter the temple, “I apologize, but your highness…..”

Jung looked down to see a pair of boots near his mother’s shoes.

He immediately pushed the court lady aside to enter the temple, in front of the queen, sat a man, as Prince Jung saw him, his face looked shocked.

“Hyung……Hyungnim…” Prince Jung stammered in shock,

“You say you are a general, but you are not very stoic.” A ragged looking Prince Yo said, as he smirked at his younger brother.

“Earlier So said he killed one of his brothers, it seems like he supposedly killed the 3rd Prince.” The Crown Prince commented,

“You would be extremely pleased if So killed me, wouldn’t you?” Prince Yo asked his elder half-brother.

 “All my brothers mean the same to me, I love each one equally.” Crown Prince Moo replied.

Queen Yoo grinned as she got up and went to her youngest son, “What’s going on?” He asked, looking shocked that his elder brother was sitting in front of him.

Queen Yoo pulled Prince Jung by his wrist, “I was planning on telling you. Do not be alarmed. It is heaven’s will that your brother lives. Heaven is on your mother’s side, Jung ah” Queen Sinmyeongsunseong said, looking really pleased

“Then why did you pretend to be dead this entire time? Why?!” Jung shouted at his 3rd brother.

“I’ve been labeled a traitor; I can’t show up on my own. I barely managed to live. If Uncle Wang Shik Ryeom had not taken care of me, I would not have made it.” Prince Yo replied.

“I am sorry hyungnim,” Prince So whispered, saddened by the fact that he almost killed his elder brother.

“I’ll request that the king exonerate you and reinstate you in your position. I have worked hard for him and he is an affectionate person. I am sure he will grant my request.” The 14th Prince said.

“Reinstate me?”

Prince Yo chuckled and got up, “I was someone who desired the throne, He will kill me as soon as he finds out I am alive.”

Looking at how Jung’s face didn’t change, he continued, “Didn’t you hear? So married the princess?”

“It seems that the king is going to abdicate to So.” Queen Yoo told her youngest.

“I don’t see the issue there, So-hyungnim has proved himself capable enough to be a good king. He served as King Hyejong’s right-hand man for the past two years.” Jung said, defending his 4th brother

The 14th and 4th Princes were surprised that Jung defended So.

“So can’t be king, Jung-ah” The queen said, with a look of disgust on her face.

“Why am I that revolting to you eomoni?” Prince So asked his mother, hurt that the woman who gave birth to him, could say that.

Queen Yoo looked straight, refusing to answer her son.

“I would have raised him as though he was my own son, you didn’t have to send him to the Kangs or let him stay with that wretched woman,” Court Lady Oh told the king, still displeased at how Queen Yoo was treating her own son.

“Children are gifts from the heavens, you will be punished greatly for your treatment of your son.” Lady Oh warned the Queen.

“How dare you?!” Queen Yoo yelled at the court lady,

“Remain silent Queen Sinmyeongsunseong” King Taejo ordered.

“I cannot take your side if you raise a revolt against the king. Committing treason once is more than enough.” Jung warned his mother and brother.

“What a foolish thing to say. A successful plot of treason is not treason at all. I will surely get on that throne. I may lose once but never twice” the 3rd Prince said.

“I feel disgusted that you are my son, Yo.” King Taejo said, Prince Yo looked at the King, shocked that he would ever say something of that sort.

“I am a loyal subject of the king. You may be my brother, but I won’t stand idly by. I will support 4th Prince Wang So as Crown Prince of Goryeo and as the next king of Goryeo.” Jung stated fiercely, facing his 3rd brother head-on.

“It seems you become a great man in the future,” the 1st King of Goryeo proudly smiled at his 14th son. Prince Jung bowed, pleased that his father praised him.

“The king has completely lost his mind! They say he killed an assassin in his room, the truth is, he was hallucinating, and he killed a court lady. To a man like that or to even a person he chooses, do you really wish to leave Goryeo in their hands?” Prince Yo asked his brother.

The Crown Prince winced.

 

 

 

Wang So was with some palace guards. They were making sure that no one would go against the curfew.

“Curfew? What for?” Prince Eun asked, confused.

“Hyungnim, we are watching the future, how will any of us know why there’s a curfew in place?” Prince Jung said. Prince Eun glared at his younger brother.

“The king has forbidden entry and exit into the palace at night. It does not matter who it is. Catch whoever disobeys the rule.” Crown Prince So instructed all the guards.

That was when Wang So noticed Jung. He was certain that it was Jung. He probably sneaked out of the palace again and returned late.

They searched for Jung, but he was too quick to hide himself.

"I believed he entered the Damiwon," one of the palace guards had said and Wang So agreed to search the Damiwon.

They already searched the entire Damiwon except Hae Soo's room.

"Should we break the door down?" one of the palace guards asked but before Wang So could answer, Hae Soo walked out of her room.

"What is going on here?" she asked with a brave look on her face or was it just because she was angry at him? "Damiwon is not a place that you can enter so carelessly. Please leave."

“Hyungsoo-nim is really upset” Baek ah said,

“Don’t blame her, the 4th Prince made her a promise and broke that. It is completely understandable.” Lady Oh said.

"A man who jumped over the palace wall was seen entering here," the palace guard said. "We must search your room."

"I was reading a book," she coldly said. "I did not see anything. Please search somewhere else."

Wang So signaled to the guards that they can enter the room but Hae Soo quickly extended her hands, stopping them.

"Where do you think you are going? I am the highest court lady of the Damiwon. I serve the king directly. I cannot let any man enter my room."

“She is quite bold.” King Taejo commented,

"Move. I will check the room myself," Wang So said, getting angry.

Hae Soo might be angry at him but she should not shelter a person going against the rules. She valued fairness so much. She should not do this just to get back at him.

The palace guards backed down and he stepped forward but froze when Hae Soo pulled the metal hairpin from her hair and pointed its sharp edge at her neck.

“I like this girl, you’ve raised her well 8th Princess” Queen Yoo said, smiling at the fact that she was protecting her son.

The 8th Princess bowed to the Queen.

It made Wang So more furious.

Why is she doing this for Jung? Is he that important to her? Is he...

“She is close friends with him hyungnim.” Baek ah stressed at the word friends, while Jung blushed at the fact that this girl was protecting him.

"I do not want to," she stubbornly refused. "It is the room of an unmarried girl. Rather than go through that shame, I will die instead. If you insist on entering, get the king's permission first. There will be no exceptions for anyone."

Princess Yeon Hwa scoffed.

"You are sure there is no one in your room?" Wang So asked. He was furious yet he could not push Hae Soo to hurt herself.

“That’s adorable” Baek ah cooed,

“Cut it, she has Jung in her room.” So looked really upset at that,

“You don’t know that”

"Yes. I am sure of it," she said, scratching her neck with her hairpin, to Wang So it felt as though she was scratching his heart.

"We will search elsewhere," he said to the palace guards and with a last furious look at Hae Soo, he left the Damiwon with the palace guards.

“She looks pretty when she’s angry,” Prince Yo chuckled, everyone turned to look at the 3rd Prince,

So glared at his elder brother, “EXCUSE ME!?”

“Hyungnim please calm down.” The 13th Prince said, trying to calm his brother down,

“I can’t believe you just said that!” Yeon Hwa screeched.

 

 

Hae Soo sighed when Prince So and the palace guards had left.

She did not want to do that, but she needed to.

I'm sorry, Prince So...

She returned to her room and sighed as she fell to the floor.

“Soo-ya!” the 14th Prince exclaimed,

Soo silenced him immediately, “They could still be here.” She whispered, she peeped out of the door and Prince Jung tried to hear if there was any noise, not finding or hearing anyone, both relaxed.

Soo winced, her hand going to the scratch, “Let me see.” Jung commanded as he pulled her closer by her shoulders, “You have a scratch on your neck” he said as he pulled the hairpin from Hae Soo’s hand

The 8th Prince coughed as So glared at his 14th brother, if looks could kill, Prince Jung would be a pile of ash.

“Were you really going to stab yourself with this?"

"As if the 4th Prince would have let me. Besides, if they insisted on coming in, what else could I do?”

"Why would you bother going to such lengths, you could have just let me get caught.” Prince Jung said, upset that she would hurt herself for him.

“Yah, you need to stay away from your hyungsoo-nims, you’re getting too close.” Prince Eun stated as Prince So nodded in agreement.

The King and the Crown Prince chuckled.

“How upsetting. Why would you say such a thing? You’ve become distant from the 4th Prince after his marriage, so it’s best not to have run ins.” Hae Soo said

“I see it is true that the Hae clan daughters make the best wives,” Queen Yoo stated, smiling at Lady Hae.

“You would have done this even if it were not me?” Jung asked,

“What?” Soo asked,

“Even if it were another brother, you would have helped them out. Right?” Jung clarified,

“Ofcourse I would,” Hae Soo replied as she got up, took a pillow from her bed and used it so she could sleep on the floor.

"If we were ever to break apart and start fighting….who’s side will you take?" Prince Jung got up and sat next to where Hae Soo was resting,

Everyone tensed, waiting for her answer.

“Why would I take sides? Perhaps, I will be the referee” Hae Soo said, as she closed her eyes. Jung smiled at her.

Hae Soo surprised everyone with her answer, most thought she would say she would take the 4th Prince’s side.

“You can’t expect us to go back to when we had fun at the 8th Prince’s house. That is selfish, We have changed.” The 14th Prince nostalgically said,

“Soon, you will have to choose.”

“It is getting late,” Hae Soo ignored what he said, “Get a little sleep and leave once its quiet outside.”

After a couple of minutes, she said, “Even so….I don’t think I will be able to take anyone’s side, because I do not wish for anyone to get hurt. I’m going to make sure that happens.” Hae Soo smiled at Jung, who smiled in turn.

Wang So rolled his eyes.
The 4th Prince stood outside Damiwon, glaring at that part of the palace.

Prince Jung looked lovingly at Hae Soo’s hairpin, and turned to look at her, seeing her blanket near her knees, he covered her entire body with it.

“I can’t believe this” Baek ah scoffed.

Wang Jung lovingly stared at a sleeping Hae Soo.

“Yah what is wrong with you people, first Eun, then Yo-hyungnim and now Jung, who is next? Wook?! GO FIND SOMEONE ELSE!” So shouted at his siblings, upset at how they keep falling in love with his woman.

Notes:

I'm so sorry I didn't update yesterday, my right hand has been aching a lot lately (Year 12 things lmao) so I'm typing with my left hand, which takes a lot of time. I hope you liked this chapter, I tried to write as much as I could.

Chapter 7: Chapter Six

Summary:

Baek Ah is the OG SoSoo shipper, Soo is a good wife to So, Jung is loyal to his king.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Chapter Six

 

 

 

Wang So could not accept what happened last night. He could not accept that Hae Soo would do those things for Jung. It made him furious.

He walked into the Damiwon early in the morning and as soon as he had seen Hae Soo, he grabbed her hand and dragged her to lake Dongji.

Baek ah wolf whistled.

"It was Jung in your room last night, wasn't it?"

"That never happened," Hae Soo said and she looked as angry as he was.

"Do you know I contemplated all night whether or not I should break down your door." he said, unable to control the anger in his voice. "Tell me the truth. It was Jung! Give me some sort of excuse then! Why did you hide Jung?"

“This is hypocrisy hyungnim, you can’t ask her for an explanation when you yourself haven’t given her an explanation.” Jung said,

“You don’t talk” So scoffed,

"Why don't you give me a proper explanation first?" Hae Soo shot back at him. "Not just a poem but an explanation that I can actually understand! Why are you suddenly getting married? Is it really like what people are saying? That you are greedy for the throne?"

“I don’t want the throne,” Prince So said, looking displeased at the idea of being king.

Wang So was silenced. He was not expecting that she was still longing for an explanation about that marriage.

"That child... if I had not intervened... she would have been sent to Khitan as a hostage. There was no other way except marriage," Wang So sadly explained.

“Finally, he explained it to her.” Crown Prince Moo muttered.

"Why did you not tell me that to begin with? Then I would not have felt so upset." Soo said, no trace of her previous anger.

“See what we meant, always explain yourself to your woman.” Prince Wook advised.

"Then I would have had to ask you to wait again." he said, hating those words. "I know you hate the concept of multiple wives. I tried my best to avoid marriage. There was no other way. So, what could I say to you and how?"

“Hyungnim and Hyunsoo-nim are so cute.” Baek ah said, Eun nodded in agreement while the Crown Prince agreed, “You’re absolutely right.”

Prince So smiled.

Hae Soo sighed then said, "Last night... it is true that Jung was in my room. It seemed like he forgot the rules and was practicing martial arts. Not much happened."

“So-hyungnim, you can breathe now.” Eun joked,

"Don't lie to me from now on," he said, feeling a lot better after hearing Hae Soo out. "No matter how bad and awful it is, you and I both want the truth."

"What if there is something, we don't want to say? Then what do we do?"

"Just say you don't want to say it. I really hate people being vague and lying."

"Then that is what I will do," she agreed, making Wang So smile.

Lady Hae smiled at how the young couple was behaving.

"I won't lie either," he promised and Hae Soo only glared at him, that glare he was comfortable with, so he bravely asked her, "Then..are you not angry anymore?"

Hae Soo only nodded even though she was still glaring at him then she asked, "Do you regret getting married?"

"I don't regret it," he admitted. "I had no choice in order to protect the king. The princess was sent away to Gaetaesa temple. That was what we had promised before the marriage,"

“Hyungnim! You’re supposed to be making her happy, why would you tell that?” Baek ah complained, miserable at how his brother did not know how to be romantic.

He sighed before asking the question he was hesitant to ask. "When you said that you loved someone, is that... Jung?"

“She loved someone else?!” Eun exclaimed in shock.

“She was in love with Jung?!” Baek ah shouted, “Yah you stay away from my hyungsoo-nim.”

“We don’t even know her answer.” Jung defended himself.

“Eomma married Uncle Jung.” Seol innocently said,

“WHAT?!” All the brothers screamed, shocked at what they were learning.

“YOU…STAY AWAY FROM HAE SOO,” So screamed at Jung,

“Uncle Jung said it’s supposed to be a secret, she wanted to leave the palace, and the only way she could do that was by marrying Uncle Jung.” Seol giggled,

“Then..how do you know your father?” Queen Yoo questioned,

Princess Seol proudly said, “I am the first princess of Goryeo, my father is King Gwangjong, of course, I know him.” Seol smiled up at her abeoji.

“I..I become KING?!” Wang So froze in horror.

“The 4th Prince was born with the star of a king.” Choi Ji Mong informed everyone with a grin.

Queen Yoo looked shocked at the fact that the son she threw away was destined to be king.

‘I can be Queen of Goryeo’ Yeon Hwa thought, pleased with getting both the things she wanted, a marriage to her So-orabeoni and getting power.

Hae Soo laughed and replied, "No. Not at all."

“Rejected,” Eun sang,

“I marry her anyway,” Jung muttered,

“I am the father of her child.” So told Jung, glaring at him.

Wang So felt so much relief after hearing those words and seeing her smile again.

"On that day we went on the boat, you had something important to tell me, but you forgot. In truth, you never did forget, did you?"

Wang So was suddenly nervous but he still nodded at Hae Soo.

"What was it?” She asked,

He took a deep breath, walked closer to Hae Soo, then tenderly uttered, "I... love you..."

“YES YES YES, FINALLY!” Baek ah screamed in joy as Lady Hae laughed.

King Taejo and Prince Moo looked happy at the fact that the 4th Prince was receiving all the love he deserved.

Eun and Baek ah constantly cheered while Prince So blushed.

Lady Hae softly smiled.

Princess Yeon Hwa could not believe what she was hearing, the 4th Prince was supposed to marry her, he was supposed to love her, not some Hae whore.

He was too nervous. He thought he was in for another rejection but Hae Soo smiled so sweetly and brightly at him and kissed his lips, stunning him.

“Young love,” Lady Oh wistfully commented.

"Don't forget those words ever again," she said as his heart pounded crazily on his chest.

It took a few moments before Wang So could breathe again and broke out of his stupor.

He smiled gratefully at Hae Soo then put his arms around her waist and pulled her closer to him.

He gently caressed her hair and her face and marveled at how much he loves her before he leaned in for a gentle and passionate kiss.

Everyone looked surprised at how the rough and scary 4th Prince was so gentle with Hae Soo.

Hae Soo kissed him back and put her arms around him, tightly embracing him.

The Queens averted their eyes, while the 1st, 10th and 13th Prince cheered on.

General Park thumped the 4th Prince’s back.

Yeon Hwa dug her nails into her hand.

Wang So could not feel any happier. Hae Soo had finally let him into her heart. After all the bad things they went through, he was tremendously grateful that they still ended up in each other's arms.

 

 

Baek-Ah felt so bad for his older brother So. He was always the one sacrificing for the king. And Baek-Ah could not do anything but to watch So and Soo hurt each other. He really felt bad for those two.

“I’m sorry So-ya,” Crown Prince Moo apologized to his brother who reassuringly smiled back.

He went out of the palace for a little while and stood on the entrance of the forest where he had met Woo Hee twice. He was coming there occasionally, mostly when he missed her so much.

“Who is this Woo Hee now?” Prince So raised an eyebrow at his 13th brother,

“How..how am I supposed to know!” He exclaimed.

“Abeoji isn’t the Princess of Hubaekje…..” Crown Prince Moo muttered to his father, who nodded in reply.

Prince Anjong closed his eyes and the scene changed to a young woman dancing with knives.

He closed his eyes as he remembered her. He wondered how she was doing now.

"What are you doing here?"

Baek-Ah was too stunned to answer when he heard that familiar voice.

He slowly turned around to look at that person and was totally mesmerized at seeing Woo Hee standing there. She looked hesitant yet so beautiful.

So smirked at Baek ah’s red face.

Baek-Ah forced himself to look away. He must be missing her so much and now he was hallucinating. His mind was getting good at reproducing images of Woo Hee.

 

He should not let himself go crazy over that hallucination but he could not stop himself from looking back to it and he was glad that it was still there, walking towards him.

He was really getting good at imagining her.

Woo Hee hesitantly smiled at him then said, "All this time... I've been thinking about you. I've been hoping that the wound you got from me would not yet heal... so you could not forget about me."

“She wounded you?!” Eun asked, surprised.

Baek-Ah was suddenly confused.

"Are you... really Woo Hee?"

She only nodded, still smiling timidly at him.

“Woo Hee” Baek ah muttered, smiling.

"You, foolish woman," Baek-Ah said, embracing Woo Hee. "You should have come and see me if you had been like that all this time. I... wanted so much to come and see you... but I thought that my presence would only make you sad so I restrained myself from going to you."

Woo Hee embraced him just as tight and whispered, "I missed you."

“That’s so cute!” Eun exclaimed,

It was like music to Baek-Ah's ears.

"Stay here with me then," he willingly offered.

"Can I do that?" she asked, sounding hesitant.

"Of course," he assured her. "I will take care of you, Woo Hee. Just stay with me."

Woo Hee nodded and Baek-Ah felt so happy and relieved that Woo Hee had finally decided to let go of her past and accept him.

“Past?” the 13th Prince looked confused,

The Crown Prince and King shared a look.

 

 

 

After staying vigil at the king’s side, the entire night, Wang So entered his quarters at dawn, only to see Hae Soo setting up a table with what seemed to be a light breakfast.

She looked beautiful in her white hanbok; her hair let down but tied behind. Seeing him enter, she got up from her place on the floor and hugged him.

“She’s really pretty,” Jung said, staring at the to be 14th Princess.

“Did you sleep? Why were you on your knees Soo-ya? you know that you should not put pressure on your knees.” So looked concerned,

Queen Yoo was surprised at how the son she called a monster, was so caring.

“They’re not even married yet but look how overprotective he is,” Crown Prince Moo chuckled,

Soo softly laughed and pulled back, she caressed her 4th Prince’s face and replied, “My precious 4th Prince, I slept well and woke up early because I wanted to take care of you. I wasn’t on my knees for long, so you need not worry.”

“My precious 4th Prince?” Jung looked jealous at the endearment.

“Hyungsoo-nim loves hyungnim dearly Jung ah,” Baek ah smirked, glancing at the terrifying wolfdog of Shinju who was currently watching Hae Soo, while blushing at everything she said and did.

She pulled him by his hand and made him sit down near the table, Hae Soo was worried that staying beside the king every night would affect So’s health badly. She pulled his hair out of the ribbon holding it as he laid on her lap,

“So-ya, wangjanim, have food and then sleep, its been hours since you had a proper meal.” She whispered, he nodded and got up. Seeing how tired he was, Soo decided to feed him, herself. The 4th Prince looked shocked when Hae Soo first started feeding him but then he slowly relaxed, enjoying Soo taking care of him.

“She’s a really good wife,” Queen Hwangbo commented, shooting a smile to Lady Hae.

“Indeed, she’ll keep the 4th Prince happy till the end of his days.” Court Lady Oh added,

Yeon Hwa silently fumed, ‘How barbaric, they’re not even married yet’

The scene moved to Hae Soo and So talking as So rested his head on her lap.

“I asked the king for approval for our marriage and he said yes.” So sleepily smiled at Soo.

“When did he say the wedding will take place?” Soo asked, smiling brightly at the thought of marrying her 4th Prince.

“Choi Ji Mong said withing this week, but I have to leave to attend to some matters for Pyeha, so once I come back.” So looked at Hae Soo and smiled, “I can’t wait to call you buin.” Soo smiled at the thought of being Wang So’s wife.

Soo slowly began singing, when it was clear that the 4th Prince was asleep, she moved his head to the pillow and kissed his forehead.

Everyone was in awe at the young woman’s voice, it was so ethereal and beautiful.

“We should make Soo sing during the wedding feast when she gets married to So-hyungnim!” Eun proclaimed, as Jung and Baek ah nodded in agreement. So blushed when his wedding was mentioned.

“I love you So-ya.”

So had a bright smile on his face, he could not believe how in the near future, there was someone who loved and cherished him despite all his flaws and imperfections.

 

 

 

The 8th Prince was in his library, he could not be patient anymore because So was finding ways to disrupt his plans. He thought that something good would come out with So marrying the king's daughter. He thought it would be enough for Hae Soo to hate So but seeing them still together made him furious.

“Why would you want Hae Soo to hate your brother?” Lady Hae frowned; the 8th Prince looked as confused as his wife.

He got even more furious when the door of his study opened. He told the servants that he wanted solitude and strictly warned them not to accept any visitor.

He expected Yeon Hwa to enter but was surprised to see his 9th brother instead,

“What brings you here, Won?” He irritably asked,

“I brought a guest who really wants to see you hyungnim.” Won said, a cruel smile on his face.

‘A guest?’ Wook thought, confused.

Won moved aside as this guest entered, a cape covering his face. Won closed the door and the man revealed his face. Wook stood up, shocked at who he was seeing. It was Wang Yo, the 3rd Prince who had died.

"It's been a long time, Wook," he said with loathing in his eyes. "I heard that you tasked Won to use mercury inside the Damiwon this entire time. It's the smart ones who turn out to be the scariest." The 3rd Prince chuckled.

“YOU POISONED YOUR BROTHER?!” King Taejo roared, furious at what he was hearing,

Hae Myung Hee stared at her husband in shock, her sweet, kind, and smart prince….poisoned his own elder brother.

Queen Hwangbo and Princess Yeon Hwa looked at each other, surprised at what they were hearing. Wook never had any ambitions for the throne, what had made him change so drastically.

The Princess smirked, pleased that her brother was finally coming to his senses.

“Pyeha please forgive him,” Queen Hwangbo pleaded, worried for her son’s life,

Court Lady Oh held the king’s hand tightly and shook her head, “It hasn’t happened yet, you can’t blame him for a crime he hasn’t committed yet.”

The Crown Prince stared at the 8th Prince as though he was seeing him for the first time. Ji Mong glared at Wook.

“My sons….” King Taejo muttered, sounding defeated.

“You see, I’m a very loyal person, I could not ignore my 3rd brother.” Prince Won said with a grin.

“It seems we have much to discuss.” Prince Wook stiffly said.

“Of course, I have so much to say that talking all night would not be enough.” Prince Yo smirked.

The 8th Prince and 3rd Prince stared at each other.

 

 

The image changed to a scene of soldiers in Yoo clan’s colors, entering the palace. Leading them was 3rd Prince Wang Yo. He took an arrow out of his quiver and shot at the royal guards standing outside the palace entrance.

“Attack!” He shouted as the Yoo clan soldiers entered the palace.

The scene shifted to soldiers entering Damiwon, court ladies were running away, screaming in fear.

“Why Damiwon….” Court Lady Oh thought out loud, confused as to why the 3rd Prince was attacking Damiwon Palace instead of the King’s Quarters.

Hae Soo sighed while she was supervising the king's bath. It was a good thing that Chae Ryung was helping her because she was really distracted. She felt nervous and she did not know if it was because Prince So was away or something bad was about to happen. She could not breathe properly. She decided to ignore it and continued to oversee the king’s bath.

Realization dawned on everyone why Prince Yo attacked Damiwon, Queen Yoo looked at the 3rd Prince proudly.

“A very bad idea,” the Crown Prince muttered,

In the Queen Yoo’s room stood Prince Jung with a determined look, wearing armor. Queen Yoo was blocking his path “Jung, kill me instead,”

“Step aside, I must protect his majesty,” Jung said,

The Crown Prince smiled at his 14th brother.

“I cannot see my sons cross swords at each other. I cannot see them die before me again!” The Queen pleaded,

“So-hyungnim would have heard that the king was attacked by now and must be returning soon, we will put this rebellion off together. He won’t let Yo-hyungnim die.” Prince Jung replied.

“He is not my son! You and Yo-ya—” Before the Queen could continue, Prince Jung yelled, “Guards! Hold the Queen!” Guards entered the Queen’s chamber,

So sighed at what the Queen said, he held his arms out for Seol, who jumped off her uncle’s lap and hugged her father.

“NO! JUNG YOU CAN’T GO, YOUR BROTHER NEEDS TO BE KING FOR EVERYTHING TO GO TO ITS RIGHT PLACE!” The Queen screamed as her son ran out of her chamber.

“You disappoint me Queen Yoo.” The King coldly said.

“I’m sorry eomoni.” The 14th Prince whispered as he ran towards Damiwon.

The scene shifted back to Damiwon, where the King was emerging out of the bath, when he suddenly fell to the ground, “Pyeha! Pyeha, what is it?” Court Lady Hae held the king’s shoulder and asked, worried as to how the king immediately fell to the floor.

Blood trickled out of the King’s mouth, Hae Soo looked close to hysterical, “Pyeha what happened?! Are you alright?!” Chae Ryung stood behind, watching the entire scene in horror.

“Clearly he’s not alright.” The 3rd Prince deadpanned.

“The 9th Prince gave Chae Ryung as a gift for our household….” Lady Hae spoke, looking at the 8th Prince, understanding dawned on her face.

“Hae Soo trusted her blindly, she wouldn’t ever believe that Chae Ryung could poison anyone. The 9th Prince and the 8th Prince used that….”

Chae Ryung ran away from there as soldiers entered and pulled Hae Soo away from the king, “Who is it?! Let me go! Let go! Pyeha!” Hae Soo yelled as the soldiers tightly held onto her arms and looked in worry at the king who was close to fainting.

She looked up to see the dead 3rd Prince walk down the stairs with the 9th Prince, her face turned white.

Prince Yo glared at the King who was on the floor and took a dagger out, Hae Soo screamed, “Please don’t do anything! Something terrible might happen! Pyeha please leave! Pyeha! ” as she struggled to get away from the soldiers who held her,

“Yo-ya” King Hyejong gasped as the 3rd Prince kept the dagger near the king’s throat.

“Prince Yo please don’t do this! Please, please!” Court Lady Hae Soo begged as the 3rd Prince slit the King’s throat, instantly killing him.

If the king was unsure about the match between his 4th son and Hae Soo before, he was completely sure now. The girl was loyal to the king, even when she herself could have been killed for her loyalty.

Hae Soo fell to the ground in shock, “Pyeha…” her face full of anguish, tears falling from her eyes. The 3rd Prince Yo kicked the body of King Hyejong into the bath.

“It appears it is over.” 9th Prince Won said, smirking as he came down and stood by the 3rd Prince, “I may lose once but I told you I won’t lose twice.” He said as he stared at the dead king’s body.

The 3rd Prince and Queen Yoo smirked.

The 14th Prince entered alongside the 4th Prince and both the brothers disarmed the soldiers standing guard, Choi Ji Mong followed them. Queen Yoo’s youngest sons stared in shock at the body of the king floating in the bath. Prince Jung had warned him that the 3rd Prince was alive when he met him outside Damiwon.

Prince Jung and Prince So looked at each other, surprised that both of them were working together.

Queen Yoo was upset that her youngest was supporting her third son instead of her second son.

Tears filled Prince So’s eyes as he screamed in anger, “YOU!” the soldiers held Prince Jung not allowing him to fight. Prince So cut through all the soldiers there and made his way down, anger powering everything he did.

“Enough!” Prince Yo ordered his soldiers.

Choi Ji Mong went to into the bath and held his king’s body, “Pyeha? Pyeha?” he called out while So stared brokenly, Ji Mong’s eyes filled with tears as he shook the body, “Moo-ya! Moo-ya! Moo-ya open your eyes,” He sobbed.

“It was meant to happen Ji Mong,” The Crown Prince sadly smiled. King Taejo looked tortured seeing the dead body of his son.

“I didn’t kill him. He was already overdosed on poison and was dying.” The 3rd Prince stated,

Prince Jung stared at his eldest full brother in shock, “What?” So asked,

“That girl Hae Soo put mercury in the king’s bath water.” He stated. Prince So looked at Hae Soo who looked up in shock at what was being said.

The 8th Princess stared at her husband accusingly, “How could you?! You saw her grow up! How could you let her be accused of regicide!?” The 8th Prince had no reply.

All the Princes glared at the 3rd and 8th Prince.

“Hae Soo would never poison the king!” The 14th Prince yelled from where he stood, furious that the 3rd Prince killed the king and now was trying to implicate Hae Soo for his crime. Prince Won grabbed Hae Soo by her collar and pushed her down.

“How dare he push her like that” Prince So growled, upset at how his Soo was being treated.

“The king did not get baths from anyone but you, but mercury was discovered in the bath water. How did that happen?” He condescendingly asked her.

“Chae Ryung, he’s saying this on purpose.” The usually sweet Lady Hae, scoffed.

“I do not know anything about it.” She said while beseechingly looking at the 4th Prince, begging him to believe her.

“Of course, I’ll believe her.” So muttered.

“I will give you two choices: You can show your loyalty to our dead brother and die with this girl or you can accept me as king and save the girl. Of course, Hae Soo’s crime of poisoning the king will remain, so that whenever I have the need for it, I will take her in for the crime of regicide.” Prince Yo stated his terms.

The 4th Prince clashed swords with the 3rd Prince, “Let Soo go. NOW!” He demanded, bubbling with anger.

“A wolf tends to devote himself to one female to the grave, and you too are a beast.” The 3rd Prince insulted his younger brother, “Won ah!” he yelled.

“How could you insult your brother like that? Do you have a heart?” Prince Jung asked his brother, who looked shocked that Jung was insulting him.

The 9th Prince along with two soldiers, placed their swords close to Hae Soo’s neck, poised to kill.

Hae Soo’s eyes filled with tears once more as she looked at the 4th Prince, who looked at the three swords near his love’s neck. The fear was clearly displayed in both their eyes.

“Hyung! You know Soo could not have killed the king! She has a tender heart; she would never do it! Please let her go!” Jung begged for Hae Soo’s life.

Yo ignored his youngest brother, “Choose, is it Hae Soo or the dead king?”

Hae Soo looked at the blade held close to her neck and closed her eyes, accepting her fate. ‘This is how I die then’ She knew So’s duty was to his country and king first and not her and she understood why.

“She’s a great woman, this Hae Soo.” The Crown Prince said.

So glared at Yo and looked towards Soo, who had her eyes closed, as though she was accepting her fate, his heart hurt at the sight of that.

Wang So removed let his sword drop to the ground as he fell to his knees, “Greetings to the new king, your majesty. Long, long, long live the king.” He said as Hae Soo opened her eyes in shock.

Jung went on his knees hearing that. Tears fell from both the princes’ eyes.

“My firstborn….” King Taejo whispered, as tears fell from his eyes. Concubine Oh tried to comfort the king.

“Abeoji, you need not worry about me, it was bound to happen.”

Notes:

So, I'll try updating once a day like I used to, but I think I'll stick to once in two days for now. I'm really sorry everyone.

Chapter 8: Chapter Seven

Summary:

Everyone hates Wang Yo, Eun is depressed, Wook is an evil mastermind.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Chapter Seven

 

 

The scene shifted from So kneeling in front of Yo to a young Prince Moo, Prince So, and Choi Ji Mong.

“This was the night So got…..” Crown Prince Moo said, looking at So and Ji Mong.

Prince So sat in between the young men, yawning.

“He looks adorable.” Queen Hwangbo smiled.

Queen Yoo stared at the young 4th Prince. She remembered how much he loved her. He would always hold onto her skirts. Her second son who always showered her with love. She softly smiled at the sight.

Prince Moo said, “Ji Mong ah, Queen Yoo said to me that I must be so happy that Tae died. When in actuality, I miss my 2nd brother very much.”

“Why must you be so foul.” Lady Oh glared at the Queen, who glared back, scoffing.

“Rather than someone like me with such lowly in-laws, it would have been better if he had been crown prince.” Prince Moo said, downtrodden and sad.

Queen Yoo smirked.

“I told you not to say such things. I told you that you have the star of a king in the HeonWon constellation.” Ji Mong reprimanded the Crown Prince.

“My firstborn was born to be a king.” King Taejo said, proud. Crown Prince Moo bowed his head.

Queen Yoo and Prince Yo looked at each other in shock, what was this sudden development.

“Really?” Crown Prince Moo asked his friend with a smile,

“Of course!” Ji Mong replied.

“But…Well, Moo-ya, what if you did not have a long life? What would you do?” He asked the Crown Prince.

“You knew….” Baek ah stared at Ji Mong in shock.

“Who cares if it not long? It is more important who I spend my last days with.” Prince Moo replied.

They both stared at each other and grinned.

“Hyungnim, I would like to be king too.” So asked, in a really cute voice.

“THAT IS OUR 4TH BROTHER?!” Eun asked in shock, he kept looking at So and then baby So.

“Yes, Eun ah, that is me.” So said, flustered at their reaction.         

“Yes, and of course you will. Your highness Wang So also has the star of a king!” Choi Ji Mong smiled at the young prince.

“Really, Ji Mong? Then, I will become king too?” So asked happily, Ji Mong nodded.

King Taejo fondly smiled at the young prince.

“Yeah! I am going to be king!” Prince So celebrated, but he immediately turned stern, “You should refer to me as ‘your majesty’” the 4th Prince ordered.

The 1st, 8th,10th, 13th, and 14th Prince alongside the Ji Mong, General Park, and the King, broke out laughing.

“So was always a bright child.” King Taejo laughed, as the 4th Prince blushed.

“Yes, pyeha, forgive us, pyeha.” Ji Mong and the Crown Prince said together before they started laughing.

Her third son was full of love, Queen Yoo remembered. He never troubled her when he was in her womb, and even as a baby, he never cried much. He was always smiling, Wang So.

The scene shifted to Ji Mong staring at the dead body of King Hyejong, “He is a king. He is the king of our nation, Goryeo. Are you going to leave him in tatters like this?” Ji Mong choked out.

The 13th and 14th Prince stood in front of the king’s body while the 4th Prince and Lady Hae Soo still had not gotten up.

The 13th Prince bent down and took his elder brother in his arms, “Hyungnim, forget everything and rest in peace.” He whispered.

Crown Prince Moo smiled at his 13th brother.

Hae Soo got up, “Please get up.” She pleaded to So, “All of this happened, because of me. I’m sorry.”

Wang So looked at her with tears in his eyes, he took her hand and dragged her outside Damiwon.

“Why does this keep happening” Eun joked, trying to lighten the dark atmosphere.

Both stopped walking seeing the 9th Prince with soldiers behind him.

“Where are you going hyungnim?” Won asked, a slight smirk on his face.

“Get out of my way.” So said,

“The new king would like me to let you know. If Hae Soo is to leave the Damiwon or disappear, an announcement will be made to all of Goryeo that she poisoned the late king. She won’t be able to get far then.” The 9th Prince smirked.

Prince So and the 8th Princess rolled their eyes.

So could feel the fear radiating from Soo as she held his hand with both of hers.

 

 

 

The scene shifted to the 10th Prince’s residence. There were soldiers all around the residence.

“What is happening….” Eun asked, confused at what was going on.

The soldiers dragged Wang Gyu and his son from the house and threw them at King Jeongjong’s feet.

“You scoundrels!” Wang Gyu roared.

“Grandfather!” He yelped, worried about his grandfather’s life.

The 10th Prince stood from a corner and watched the scene along with his wife.

“We have caught Wang Gyu but the 10th Prince is already gone.” The soldier reported.

“Why do they want to catch me?” the 10th Prince was really confused and scared.

Wang Shik Ryeom looked at the 3rd Prince, who ordered, “We must catch him. Go and find him. Now!”

“Yes, your majesty.” They all said in unison.

 

 

Prince Wook stood in the courtroom as King Jeongjong entered, his uncle behind him.

“Park Sool Hee will be exiled. We will say Wang Gyu plotted treason and even killed Park Sool Hee.” The 8th Prince said.

“Good work.” The king remarked.

“Good job on what you did with Moo. The advice you gave me to use Soo to get to So was good too.” The new king placed his hand on the younger man’s shoulder,

“Good job!?” King Taejo furiously asked.

“She is practically my daughter. How could you!?” Lady Hae glared at her husband.

“I am relieved that you are on my side. Without you on my side, Uncle, Wook would not work for me.”

Wang Shik Ryeom spoke, “Shouldn’t you kneel to the king?”

Wang Wook looked up and stared at Wang Yo, who was watching silently with a smirk.

Wook went on his knees and bowed, “Greetings to you, your majesty. Long live the king.”

Yo looked towards the throne with a huge grin. He went and sat on the throne ‘Finally, it is mine.’ He thought.

“I will make sure that the throne won’t go to you.” King Taejo said.

“Eun and his wife have escaped. In order to make Wang Gyu’s revolt real, we must capture Eun quickly. We have to kill him.” The King said.

“Hyungnim how could you…” Eun stared at his 3rd brother in horror, tears welling up in his eyes.

“Do not worry, you do have a dog talented in catching royal members.”

“I can’t believe how drastically both of you have changed.” The 14th Prince shook his head.

 

 

 

Wang Gyu, his wife, his son, and his daughter were all executed in the morning, King Jeongjong watched the scene alongside the Queen Mother.

“Eomoni!” Eun broke down crying, “Grandfather, uncle and aunt….” The 10th Prince could not stop crying.

“I’ve never met the 10th Prince.” So’s blood ran cold when he heard Seol whisper that.

“I knew a day like this would come. You were a perfect child ever since you were born. I foresaw that you would bring me great glory.” Queen Yoo smiled brightly at her second son.

“Your majesty.” She curtsied, with a grin on her face.

“Congratulations on becoming Queen Mother.” The King told his mother, smiling at her.

“Take care of the other princes as soon as possible. That is the only way to make the palace stable, also-”

“You would kill innocents on your greedy pursuit to the throne.” King Taejo scoffed, Queen Yoo looked slightly upset.

“I will take care of politics. Goryeo is ours now. You should live enjoying the fine and beautiful things life offers, eomoni” the former 3rd Prince said.

“Yo-ya how could you…” The Queen stared at her eldest living son with betrayal clear on her face.

The King looked straight at someone and said, “Come on up.” The Queen mother turned to see her third son, 4th Prince Wang So, glaring at everyone and everything around him as he approached the new king.

“Have some manners in front of the king.” The 3rd wife of King Taejo said, listening to which the 4th Prince rolled his eyes.

The Queen looked surprised; her son was always trying to please her. Did she finally succeed in pushing him away?

“Do not be so heartless, I am alive thanks to him.” King Jeongjong said, staring at his younger full brother, the Queen turned to look at him in confusion.

“You..held back when you stabbed me. In that last moment, you let consideration get in the way.”

The 3rd Prince looked at the 4th in confusion.

The scene suddenly changed to the 4th Prince fighting the 3rd Prince at the edge of a cliff.

The 3rd Prince clashes swords with the 4th Prince, but it was obvious that the 4th Prince was far better at it. Prince So parried the strikes and kicked the sword out of his elder brother’s hands and stabbed him.

Everyone knew that the 4th Prince was a prodigy in martial arts and wielding the sword, but it was shocking to see how good he was at it.

Wang Yo’s face contorted in pain as the 4th Prince pushed him back. Yo stared at So, who himself looked shocked at his actions.  The third prince began to fall backward and So immediately dropped his sword and held a hand, but it was too late.

“Why would you….” Prince Yo muttered.

“Hyungnim….” So whispered, tears filling his eyes as realization hit.

Yo could not believe this. He would kill his younger brother without remorse, but the 4th Prince was the complete opposite, almost crying because he thought killed him.

The Queen stared at her third son in shock.

The scene shifted back to Prince So talking to King Jeongjong.

“If you feel regretful of that moment, I can put you away for good now.” The 4th Prince smirked and walked forward, towards the king. The soldiers behind the King moved to protect him but with a wave of his hand he stopped them.

“You!” Queen Yoo glared.

“Wang Gyu was trying to get 10th Prince Wang Eun on the throne. He was put to death. Go catch the prince. If you do find him, you can kill him on the spot.” The king ordered.

All the princes stared at their 3rd brother in disgust.

“Was the late king not enough for you?” So snarled.

Both the men glared at each other, “I cannot do that, I refuse to kill my younger brother.” So said, anger evident in his voice and face.

Eun looked surprised that the 4th Prince looked so angry at the bare thought of killing him. The situation was so ironical, he drily said, “The brother I grew up with wants to kill me and the brother I’ve never even properly spoken to is filled with rage at the thought of killing me.”

“You cannot?” the King chuckled, “You will have to do it. That way, Baek ah and Choi Ji Mong…. even Hae Soo, all those who you consider to be your people will stay safe.” He grinned, “You’re already a dog that goes after your siblings anyway.”

“How low will you stoop?” Baek ah glared at the 3rd Prince.

Wang So glared at his elder brother one last time and walked away.

“I told you not to keep him close! Get rid of him!” the Queen Mother exclaimed.

“Eomoni he is your son!” Jung said, staring at his mother as though he had never seen her. Denouncing your son is one thing but to kill the child you carried within you for 9 months…..

“It’s very amusing to tame him, so why?” He chuckled.

“He thinks he can pity me? He was being considerate of me? What arrogance…”

 

 

 

The 4th Prince met General Park in Ji Mong’s tower.

He looked at the General and said, “Wang Gyu and his family have been executed.”

Eun could not control his tears.

“The King has ordered me to find Eun and his wife.” He continued.

“He wouldn’t kill them, would he?” General Park asked, Prince So looked down and said nothing, answering the question.

“If anything happens to my daughter, I will kill you.” General Park warned Prince Yo.

General Park chuckled, “Listen to me carefully, your highness. I have a bond with King Taejo from our days in the battleground when we founded Goryeo. We fought to the death, so I have been loyal up to now, but this is not right.” He grinned, “Do not harm my daughter. If my daughter gets caught up in a fight among the Wangs…I, Park Soo Kyung, will not sit idly by.” The General bowed and left.

“I am sorry, Soo Kyung.” King Taejo apologized.

 

 

Prince So and Lady Soo stood behind Damiwon, looking around, making sure no one was there. Noticing how the 4th Prince held her hands tightly, she smiled at him reassuringly, “I’m alright. How about you? Nothing has happened right?”

“It is true that the late king died from mercury poisoning. Since we do not know who was behind it, we cannot trust anyone,” He explained.

She nodded, understanding what he meant. He smiled and held her by her shoulders, "I will be away from the palace for a while," he said. "It worries me that you will be alone."

"Don't worry about me," Hae Soo said with a brave smile. "I can take care of myself."

"I don't know about that," he teased her. "You are always getting yourself in trouble."

"I'm not!" Hae Soo refuted with a glare, making him smile.

“You guys really are cute.” The Crown Prince chuckled.

"Stay away from the King and the Queen Mother as much as possible and If anything happens, go straight to Choi Ji Mong," he seriously told her.

“She’s the highest court lady of Damiwon, do you really think she’ll be able to avoid the king?” Court Lady Oh raised an eyebrow at the Prince.

"I will," Hae Soo promised and it gave him a little relief. "But where are you going?"

He took a while to answer. He was hesitant to tell her about it but he still did.

"The king has ordered me to arrest some traitors," he said, unable to look straight into her eyes.

"Did the king blackmail you with my life again?” She asked, worried.

Prince So smiled at her fondly and rubbed her head, “Just leave the matter to me.” Noticing how she was still tensed; he took her into his arms and hugged her tightly, she hugged him back.

“I love you Soo-ya.” He said,

“I love you too my prince.”

“How adorable” Princess Yeon Hwa gritted out, glaring at the screen.

 

 

King Jeongjong asked Hae Soo to bring him tea. At first, she was anxious but when she entered the throne room and had seen the king, she became more angry than nervous.

The only thing that kept her from showing her anger was Prince So's belief that his brother would still change.

He had never treated So as his younger brother after he got that scar on his face, but So still cared…

She served the king his tea. He was not saying anything. He was only staring intently at Hae Soo, triggering her annoyance with the king.

“Why are you staring at her?” Prince So snapped,

“I like to stare at pretty things.” Prince Yo replied,

So glared at his elder brother.

"Why did you put mercury in King Hyejong’s bathwater?" he asked, breaking his silence.

"I never did such a thing,” she replied, standing straight.

The king was really testing the limit of her patience.

"Would you say the same thing after being tortured?" The King smirked.

“You wouldn’t dare” The 4th Prince warned.

Hae Soo looked directly at King Jeongjong's eyes before saying, "If so...I would say you told me to do it, pyeha. I would say that you ordered me to do it because you wanted the throne. I will say that even if I die.”

“She’s very clever, this one. She’d make a good 4th Princess.” King Taejo approved, Prince So smiled when Hae Soo was called 4th Princess.

"You are quite something, aren’t you?” the king asked, liking the fire in her.

“I suppose you were always this way since you were young. It is amusing. No wonder you’ve got all the men in my family wrapped around your little finger.”

“How dare you insinuate something so foul?!” Lady Hae exploded, surprising her family with her anger.

“She’s a noble lady of the Hae clan! To question her honor is to insult my entire clan!” She glared

Hae Soo was just silent. She was trying her best not to explode only because of Prince So.

"King Taejo, King Hyejong, and So trusts you dearly. What kind of charm did you use to make them trust you so much? Even Eun, Baek-Ah, Jung, and Wook are so very fond of you. Well, with Wook, I do not know anymore.” He chuckled,

“He’s not wrong…” The 8th Prince muttered, Lady Hae glared at her husband.

“Perhaps I understand now,” He smirked, staring at her body. Hae Soo wanted to run away from the courtroom, she could not help but feel violated with how the king was looking at her.

“If I ever find out you stared at her in that way again, I promise you I will destroy you.” So promised, glaring at the 3rd Prince. His voice scared almost everyone in the room.

“I will not get rid of you. You are the best bait I can use to control all my brothers.” The King said,

“Then..please tell me who really put mercury in the bathwater.” She asked, unable to control her curiosity.

“You believe I know who did it?” King asked, grinning at the court lady.

“Even if I know who did it, I cannot breathe a word about it. If you say I committed regicide, that is the end for me. So I would like to know,” Hae Soo stated, a blank look on her face.

‘She could be molded into a good queen, she has the skills for it, although unpolished.’ Queen Sinmyeongsunseong thought, she would have liked it if the girl had married one of her other sons.

“Who was it?” she stared at the king,

"Pyeha! His highness the 8th Prince is here to see you!" one of the guards outside the door had announced.

His smile widened as he said, "How is that he showed up right on time?"

Hae Soo's heart skipped a beat, “Pardon?”

"Let him in!" King Jeongjong said and the guards let Wook enter.

Soo turned to stare at the 8th Prince in shock. He was surprised seeing Hae Soo in there.

“Greetings, pyeha.” Prince Wook greeted the King.

“I had a question to ask you, so it’s a good thing that you are here.” King Jeongjong grinned.

"Hae Soo is dying of curiosity. Who was it that put mercury in the late king’s bath? What will we say to her?"

"I believe the late King Hyejong died from an illness, Is that not true?" Wook said and that distant look in his eyes made him a stranger in Hae Soo's eyes.

King Taejo shook his head as Queen Sinjeong looked at her son with surprise.

The king laughed harder, making Hae Soo's heart pound harder on her chest.

"Yes, that’s true. He died from an illness," the king agreed, still laughing. How could he laugh like that at the death of his older brother?

“You disgust me hyungnim.” Jung shook his head

"I am quite entertained tonight," the king went on with a satisfied smile. "I guess I will be having a very pleasant sleep. Wook, won't you mind talking with me tomorrow?"

"No, Your Majesty," Wook said lowering his head to the king before he left the room.

"Go now," the king said to Hae Soo who took the tray with her, bowed low to the king, and followed Wook.

 

 

Outside the King’s Quarters, the 8th Prince turned to look at Hae Soo.

"I heard you witnessed what happened to the late king," he said and even his cold voice sent chills up her spine. "It must have been shocking."

"He was like my orabeoni," Hae Soo said, wondering if the Eighth Prince did kill the late king. "The person who caused the king to die so tragically... who could it be? Your highness…you are not connected to it, are you?"

Crown Prince Moo smiled at that, pleased that he welcomed his younger brother's beloved into the family properly.

“He is the reason why,” the 13th Prince muttered.

He stared coldly at her for a long while before he said, "I have done nothing wrong."

“How could you say that…” Prince So stared at Wook in shock.

Hae Soo tightened her grip on the tray that she was holding. He was not even denying it. And he was thinking that killing his own brother was not wrong? How could Prince Wook do such terrible things without a trace of remorse in his eyes?

“How did you change so much, husband?” Lady Hae asked,

Hae Soo could only sigh. How could Prince Wook get worse than King Jeongjong?

“I do not even know who is worse.” The 14th Prince admitted.

Notes:

I did not like this chapter much tbh, however, I have a feeling the next chapter will be better, so here's to that!

Chapter 9: Chapter Eight

Summary:

Eun and Seon Deok are here, Wook and So face off.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Chapter Eight

 

 

Hae Soo walked towards her chambers, exhausted, wishing to rest after hearing from Chae Ryung that the entirety of the 10th Prince’s family had been executed by the King, and that the 10th Prince had been declared a traitor to the throne.

The 10th Prince glared at the 3rd Prince, “I grew up with you,” he accused.

All the sudden, a court lady appeared in front of her, surprised that a court lady would stand in her path, she looked up, only to see the 10th Princess in a court lady’s uniform.

“Smart.” General Park remarked.

Her eyes widened further in surprise when she saw the 10th Prince standing behind his wife, “Soo-ya, its me.”

Soo pushed the couple inside one of the rooms in Damiwon, closing the door behind her, Soon Deok tightened the windows to make sure no one could see.

Eun sighed and sat down on the bed, “The new king won’t be able to figure out we’re hiding here.” Soon Deok said, “Prince Eun said that we can trust you, but don’t get any other ideas. You’re dead if you do.” She warned.

“She’s too much sometimes,” The general chuckled.

“Stop it already.” The 10th Prince scolded his wife before turning to look at Hae Soo, “Anyway, don’t worry too much Soo-ya. We have a boat, so we’ll be here until it leaves.”

“Where will you be going?” Hae Soo asked, worried for the 10th Prince and Princess.

“We’ll-“ “That’s enough!” Lady Park interrupted, she looked at Hae Soo and said, “You don’t need to know that. Just make sure that we do not get caught. Do not tell anyone about us.”

“Yes, I’ll make sure to be very careful.” Court Lady Hae replied.

“But wouldn’t it be better to get help from one of my brothers, we should ask Jung or Baek ah, there’s no way they would not help me. Or better yet, So-hyungnim”

“No!” Hae Soo said, suddenly looking frightened.

The scene suddenly shifted to Prince So slicing the 10th Prince’s chest open, everything around them was tinted with red. The 4th Prince hysterically laughed, his younger brother’s dead body at his feet.

Everyone stared at the 4th Prince, horror written on their face.

“Hyungnim…..” Eun stared in shock, “I would never hurt you Eun ah, you have to believe me.” So pleaded, his eyes filling with tears when he saw that he killed his younger brother. Seol held on to her father tightly.

Everyone slowly absorbed the news.

Hae Soo reeled back.

“She gets visions, it seems.” Ji Mong commented,

“It’s probably because she’s from the future.” He added.

“The new king has tasked him to find both of you, because of that all eyes, especially the king’s are on him, if you go to him, surely you will end up being captured. The 4th Prince would suffer a great deal if anything happened to the both of you because of him.” Soo said, worrying for her prince.

“She’s not afraid of what I’ll do?” So whispered, shocked at her reaction

“We cannot tell anyone; we don’t know how things will leak out. If we make one wrong move, it is all over. Besides, I don’t want So-orabeoni in trouble because of us.” The 10th Princess said.

“Alright, I got it.” The 10th Prince dejectedly said before asking, “Soo-ya, do you know what happened to my aunt and mother?”

Eun sighed.

“I am not sure. I do not know much about what is happening outside the Damiwon.” She lied, looking at Seon Deok, who realized what she was hiding.

“I am bothered by the fact that I could not bring them with me. I hope they managed to get away.” Eun said.

“I’m a horrible son.” Prince Eun muttered.

The 10th Princess sadly looked at Hae Soo, they knew that the entire family was dead.

 

 

“I thought you were merely a gisaeng who wanted revenge for her parents, you were the Princess of Hubaekje.” King Jeongjong scoffed.

“My lover is the Princess of Hubaejke?!” The 13th Prince yelped.

Princess Woo Hee stood in silence in front of the new King.

“You hid a lot of me.” The King’s view went to Minister Park, “I thought it may be used against you, pyeha.” He replied.

“Please allow the people of Hubaekje to access the southern territories. Allow them to farm the land for three years without paying taxes. Please emancipate those who were forcefully taken as slaves. Restore law-abiding citizens back to their status. Allow them to farm the land.” The Princess listed out her conditions.

“The last princess was considered a mother figure to her people.” The Crown Prince stated.

“You were someone who tried to kill the king. Why should I trust you and make a deal?” The King asked, looking skeptical.

“The girl I love…tried to kill my father…” The Prince slowly processed.

“My people are starving to death; revenge means nothing to me. If you guarantee their survival, the people of Hubaekje will accept you as their king.” She replied.

“They will be loyal to you.”

“No matter how much I think about it, I feel like I will be losing out. I have a good offer.”  The King said and the Princess stared at him intently.

 

 

Wang So went to see Baek-Ah outside the palace later that night. He was hoping that Baek-Ah had gained some useful information that could help them.

They decided to talk at a crowded tavern where so many rumors were being spread. They felt that it was safer to talk on places like that. But Wang So only got more depressed at hearing people talk about him. There was really no place he could relax but beside Hae Soo.

So thought with his scar covered, people would not talk bad about him, but looking at this, it clearly wasn’t the case.

"I heard that the Fourth Prince, that dog, is out to kill his brother," he heard from the man who was speaking loudly on the nearest table behind him.

"Be quiet! You will get yourself in trouble," his companion warned him, but the man did not want to stop and Wang So could feel that Baek-Ah was anxiously staring at him.

So smiled at Baek ah.

"It doesn't make sense that the playful and carefree Tenth Prince would plot treason," the man went on. "Some people were also saying that the Fourth Prince and the Tenth Prince would often go to the forest and hunt together. And now, just because the king ordered him so, he would forget all of it and go after his brother. He really is the king's dog. He should know that they were only framing up the Tenth Prince and his family. Why would he choose being a dog rather than being a brother?"

“I doubt So-hyungnim would willingly kill me.” The 10th Prince said, smiling comfortingly at his elder brother.

"Stop that," his companion said, sounding annoyed. "Just eat up."

Wang So tried his best not to get affected. Those people knew nothing about his real intention, but it was really getting into him and it was depressing.

"I was told that they will leave by a boat," Baek-Ah said, distracting Wang So from the rumors he was hearing. "I searched every schedule on all the ports and the earliest that would leave would be in five days."

"Where is it headed?"

"There are four boats leaving on that day and on the same time. I do not know which one they would take. What should we do?"

"Just stay in the palace that day. Be ready to take Soo and Jimong with you."

“You plan on running away from Goryeo…” The 8th Prince stared at his elder brother in shock.

"Jimong can take Soo. You cannot guard four boats at the same time. You need my help."

"I can't let you get mixed up in a fight," Wang So anxiously said. "You don't know how to defend yourself."

"But I do know how to stay away from trouble," Baek-Ah insisted. "I know how to run."

"Baek-Ah..."

"Just let me help you this time, So. I also want to help Eun."

“My brothers are so sweet.” Eun joked, trying to ease the tension.

Wang So agreed with a sigh and Baek-Ah was glad about that, though he could not deny how nervous he was with their plan.

"Can't your spies find where he is? It would be easier if we can talk to him."

"I'm sorry, So. They are also having difficulty finding Eun."

“They’re finding it difficult because he’s literally hiding in Damiwon.” Baek ah muttered.

Wang So let out another heavy sigh then said, "Let's search harder."

Baek ah sighed and said, “A person who manipulates people and uses their weaknesses has become king. The heavens help us and Goryeo.”

“You say that like it’s a bad thing.” The 3rd Prince scoffed.

“Find out if Eun has reached out to anyone, like Jung for example.” The 4th Prince ordered.

“Perhaps because Wook has a history with our 3rd brother, they say he hasn’t made a move at all. Who could have guessed the 3rd Prince would come back alive?” The 13th Prince sighed and looked the other way, only to see Woo Hee coming near him.

“Woo Hee-ya” He called out, smiling brightly at the sight of his lover.

Woo Hee smiled at the 13th Prince and bowed to the 4th Prince, “It has been a long time.”

“It seems I know her as well.” So smiled at Baek ah.

“Yes, Baek ah told me you had returned. Hae Soo will be happy to see you.” The 4th Prince said.

“Of course, you’ll mention Hae Soo.” Baek ah teased.

“I will probably see her soon. I will be going back to the Gyobang.” She said, smiling.

“Gyobang?” The 13th Prince asked, upset that she was going to Gyobang again, “You didn’t say that before.” Woo Hee fondly smiled at the 13th Prince, “How long can I depend on you for support? I will not be a gisaeng, I am just going to teach dance. Do not worry too much.”

 

 

 

Wang So went to the 8th Prince’s residence, he had to confirm his suspicions, “It is very late, where are you off to?” The 4th Prince enquired.

Wook remained unperturbed by his question. He was just smiling annoyingly at him as he said, "You are awfully interested in me."

“You have changed a lot hyungnim.” The 14th Prince told his 8th brother.

"I have a feeling that it is you who is the one behind all of this. So, I wondered if you were visiting the king again."

"What would make you think of such a thing?” Wook asked, suddenly interested in what the 4th Prince had to say.

"The late king had been addicted to mercury for at least two years before he died," he began. "The 9th Prince Won seemed to be the most likely suspect. However, it was too detailed and well planned. It does not fit Won's personality. But maybe if it were you….. It is also strange that the king is leaving you alone when you had betrayed him before. A man like that would have gotten rid of you already. You got rid of the 10th Prince’s family and one of Songak’s most powerful families. Aside from a smart person like you, I would have to wonder who else could do it." Wang So menacingly grinned.

“You’ve properly investigated everything.” The King nodded, proudly smiling at his 4th son.

The 4th Prince bowed and smiled brightly at what his father said.

"You have always been suspicious of me.” Wook said, glaring back at Wang So.

So stood directly in front of the 8th Prince, and asked “Did you…really cause our brother’s death?”

"How about you?" Wook shot back at him. "Are you really going to become the king's dog and kill Eun?"

"We are both struggling to survive," Wook said with a mocking smile. "That is the fate of a prince who does not become a king. In order to protect, we must submit."

"I do not know what made you change so much." Wang So said, glaring at his younger brother.

"I... did not poison the late King Hyejong," Wook said, looking straight into Wang So's eyes. "Does that answer your question?"

“How can you lie like that…” Princess Yeon Hwa asked, shocked at what she was seeing.

They glared at each other for a while before Wook left and Wang So did not stop him anymore. He was getting tired of dissuading people that seemed so determined on the path they had chosen.

 

 

 

So was waiting outside the Damiwon for Soo, he heard that the King had summoned her earlier. He did not understand why she was summoned by the new king. His 3rd brother never even spoke much to Soo.

Yeon Hwa did not like how the 4th Prince cared so much for Hae Soo, it was disgusting.

He heard footsteps coming his way, judging by how soft the footsteps were, it had to be Soo.

He turned to look at Hae Soo approaching him, recognizing who was standing outside Damiwon, she bowed.

“I heard the king called you in, so I thought something had happened to you.” He said, worried.

“It does not seem like he intends to kill me or kick me out.” Hae Soo said, reassuringly smiling at her 4th Prince.

“He plans to use you as bait to manipulate me.” The 4th Prince honestly said, seeing how she looked upset at that, he immediately added, “Its fine, even so, I prefer you being safe.”

“You’re his full brother that too.” Eun shook his head disapprovingly.

He smiled at her, she nervously smiled back, before asking, “About what you said before, what happened to the people you were looking for?”

Wang So sighed, “To tell you the truth, I am looking for Eun. The King wants me to find him and kill him. But I need to do whatever I can to help him escape.”

“Yes” she agreed, still looking really nervous.

“Why isn’t she telling me that she’s hiding Eun and his wife….” The 4th Prince looked confused.

“Do not worry I will find him.” He assured her.

The vision flashed through her mind again, and she could not help but feel nervous.

“It’s probably because of this vision.” The Crown Prince sadly said. So looked upset when he heard that.

 

 

 

“Ji Mong!” So shouted as he came up the stairs of the astrology tower, Ji Mong turned to see the 4th Prince looking tensed.

“The 10th Prince’s binary star has risen near the palace. You should try looking again.” The astrologer said, looking tensed.

“I have looked everywhere. I went to Damiwon and Eun was not there” The 4th Prince said.

“This sounds like a disaster in the making,” General Park muttered.

“That can’t be….” Ji Mong muttered,

“How much can I trust you at times like this? Did you know that Moo would die in that way? Did you know that my 3rd brother would become king?” Wang So asked.

Everyone looked at Ji Mong, “I can see your pre-destined fate. But human destinies are quite complicated.”

“Why so?” the 13th Prince asked,

“Humans have the power to change their destiny, even if the heavens have a plan set out for you, you can change that plan.” The astrologer replied,

“However, there are some destinies which are too important to be shifted, like the 4th Prince’s, it is vital that he becomes king, so nothing will throw him off that path.” Ji Mong added.

Wang So could not help but be shocked, he was destined to be the King of Goryeo.

“Can you imagine what it is like for me to know and not get involved? It is the divine punishment for those who read the heavens.” Ji Mong sighed.

“However, even I was surprised by the 3rd Prince. He was born with the star of one who would commit treason.” Ji Mong immediately continued.

The 3rd Prince scoffed.

“Something has definitely changed. Something has deviated. What has changed to make the 3rd Prince, king? I am curious.” He said, frowning.

“Could it be Hae Soo?” The King asked,

“Maybe so.” Choi Ji Mong replied.

Notes:

So I have ideas for a new work, but I'm not sure which to choose, so I'm leaving it up to you guys. Vote for the idea you'd like to read about!!

https://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=5ebd2907e4b09a2d524dc517

Chapter 10: Chapter Nine

Summary:

Yeon Hwa and Jung are exposed

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Chapter Nine

 

 

Wang Wook stood in his dimly lit library, holding onto the table in front of him.

“Be careful of the 4th Prince. The 4th Prince…. Be careful of Wang So” He muttered continuously.

“I do not think the 8th Prince is sane of mind anymore.” The 14th Prince whispered to his mother, who chuckled at the thought.

Princess Yeon Hwa entered the library and stared at her brother in unveiled confusion, “Orabeoni?”

He stood up straight and said, “That’s what Hae Soo said to me, ‘Be careful of the 4th Prince’ she said I should not try to stop him.”

“But why would Hae Soo say that….” The 4th Prince muttered.

Yeon Hwa looked at him, puzzled with what he was saying.

“It is just as she said, he’s taking everything. No matter what I do everything will become his. Why is that? What should I do? Why can’t he just die!?” He continued with his monologue.

Yeon Hwa alongside most of her other brothers stared at the 8th Prince in shock and disgust.

“I’m sorry So…” Wook said.

"Orabeoni!"

He glared at his sister.

"What? You will take his side too? No matter how much you long for it, he will not love you."

“WHAT?!” the 3rd, 10th, 13th, and 14th Princes screamed in surprise.

“I thought she had higher standards.” Queen Yoo muttered.

The Crown Prince and the king were frozen in shock.

‘What even’ So thought, Yeon Hwa had always been kind to him, but he most certainly did not expect this to be the reason why.

“Yeon Hwa…” the 8th Prince and Queen Hwangbo stared at the princess, who had looked the other way, her face red with embarrassment.

"Orabeoni, can't you stop this now?" Wook chuckled.

"You started this, Yeon Hwa," Wook reminded her, slamming his hand on the table. "You are the one who should stop hesitating. Stop pretending that you care for our brothers. I know you are only worried about So."

“You do not care for us noonim?” the 14th Prince asked,

“Of course I do!” Yeon Hwa replied, smiling at her younger brother.

The 4th Prince had never been more shocked in his life.

"Orabeoni..."

He slammed his hand hard on the table again and furiously said, "I lost Hae Soo because of your scheming! Isn't it only fair that you lose So?!"

Lady Hae turned to look at her husband, “What do you mean…”

“I spoke too soon.” So muttered,

“Talk about a plot twist.” Eun laughed in surprise.

“How does that girl have all my sons running behind her.” The King muttered.

"I will not lose So," Yeon Hwa said, looking determined. "He will become mine. I will help you sit on that throne. Just leave So to me. He will not get in your way once he becomes my husband."

“Was it not obvious that I like Hae Soo?” So muttered.

"So will never become yours, Yeon Hwa."

"Just like Hae Soo can never be yours?!"

Wook was silenced with that question.

"Then why do you keep going after the throne? You said it was for her. Once you become king, you will take her even if she does not love you, will you? Will you force her in your bed?"

“HOW DARE YOU EVEN THINK LIKE THAT?!” So roared from where he sat, but before he could do anything, a loud sound of someone being slapped was heard.

The 8th Prince held his now red right cheek, staring at his usually demure wife, in shock.

Wook did not answer but Yeon Hwa knew that was what he intended to do.

 

 

The 14th Prince wanted to see Hae Soo, he had not seen her ever since his 3rd brother became king, he wanted to make sure she was fine and not severely affected by the events that she had seen.

“Provided you don’t cross the line, that is fine.” So commented.

He asked one of the lower court ladies passing by, “Where is Court Lady Hae?”

“Sorry, I do not know.” She replied before walking away.

From the corner of his eye, he could see another low ranked court lady pass by, who did not even bow to him,

“And she blew her cover.” General Park rubbed his forehead.

“You there.” He called out, “Do you know where Court Lady Hae is?”

The girl did not even turn back and just shook her head. ‘Does she not know her manners as a court lady?’

“She’s cute,” Eun muttered.

“Stop right there!” He ordered, “Why do you have such bad manners?”

“I apologize, your highness.” She whispered, hiding half of her face, she quickly turned around to walk away from the prince when one of the teacups fell, the court lady immediately caught it with her left hand. ‘How does a court lady have such good reflexes’ he thought before realization hit him.

He moved forward and bent down to stare at the court lady’s face, “Hyungsoo-nim?”

“My 14th son is quite sharp.” The King chuckled,

The Queen smiled proudly at her son.

He turned her around by her shoulders, “It is you, right?

“You are too close to your hyungsoo-nims.” So glared at his younger brother, while shot a smile to the 4th Prince, vigorously nodding in agreement.

 

 

 

The Court Lady, 10th Prince and Princess and the 14th Prince were all sitting around a table, looking frustrated and worried.

Lady Seon Deok sighed, "We need to leave the palace to get on the boat," Soon Deok said, extremely frustrated.

"Are you playing here? There are no other doors," Prince Eun irritably said.

“North, South, West, and East, there are no easy exits.” The Princess said.

"There are more guards now than the night we first hid in here." She added after a pause.

"After usurping the throne, Yo-hyungnim is afraid that he may get hit someday. I am ashamed that he is my brother," Prince Jung irritably said. "How could he harm his brothers like this?"

“Jung ah, he is doing it for our family.” The Queen said, while the 14th Prince looked like he wanted to disagree, he did not say anything.

"I wish we had Jimong's flying contraption or a hole on the ground..."

A hole on the ground...

"A cave? There is one!" Hae Soo said as her face lit up with hope. "There is a way out! We can get you out of the palace!" Everyone stared at Hae Soo.

“There’s a cave in the palace?” The 4th Prince asked,

“Yes, there is.” The 8th Prince whispered.

She told them about the hole under the Damiwon Bath pool. She had completely forgotten about that hole since Chae Ryung told her about the other way to the cave outside the palace, that other way that would not get you wet and out of breath.

"Soo, I will search that pool," Prince Jung willingly offered and she nodded.

"I will prepare that bath for you," Hae Soo said with a hopeful heart.

"Can I help?" Prince Eun asked, looking excited.

"Prince Eun, I'm sorry. You cannot be seen. We need to be very careful," Hae Soo said, disappointing Prince Eun.

“Poor me, I would probably be going mad,” Eun said.

"But I want to help..."

"Hiding yourself here is enough help already," Soon Deok said. "Once we get out of here, you can get all the freedom you want, 10th Prince."

 

 

 

"Soo, can we ask So to help us?" Prince Eun asked when the 14th Prince had left.

"I'm sorry, Prince Eun. I already told you why we could not, right?"

Prince Eun sighed heavily then lied down on the mattress near the bed.

Hae Soo was glad that the Tenth Prince had become such a gentleman. He said that he had been hit hard by the 4th Prince when he told Prince So that he let Soon Deok sleep on the floor and ever since that moment he never let Soon Deok sleep on the floor.

“You made my daughter sleep on the floor?!” General Park glared at the 10th Prince,

“I am sure he did not intentionally do that.” King Taejo said, looking at his son.

“I am sorry.” The 10th Prince bowed his head,

“At least the 4th Prince knocked some sense into your head.” The General said, smiling at Prince So, who smiled in turn, “Seon Deok is my younger sister in all but blood, of course, I would look after her.”

"I miss So already. I want to hunt with him," he said, covering his head with a blanket.

“It seems we become very close in the future hyungnim.” Eun smiled at his 4th brother, who smiled brightly at his younger brother.

"You only need to wait for a few more days. Once we all get out of this place, we can camp on the forest for as long as you want," Soon Deok said and Eun only sighed under the blanket and after only a few minutes he had already fallen asleep.

"Why does it have to be Eun?" Soon Deok asked while watching over her husband.

Hae Soo sighed and then looked at Soon Deok, “I have a lot of work, so I should get going now.” She said and got up.

“That’s what I thought, I was wondering how the head court lady of Damiwon had so much free time.” Concubine Oh muttered.

Soo looked around if anyone was there and slowly stepped out of the room, but before she could leave the vicinity, Seon Deok called her, stepping out of the room, “Unnie!”

“She most probably calls Lady Hae Soo, unnie, because she calls you orabeoni.” General Park told the 4th Prince while chuckling.

Soo turned back and smiled at the lady.

"Why are you keeping this from So? Is it really because the king is watching him very closely?"

"No," Hae Soo sighed looking tired and exhausted as the vision flashed back.

“She is afraid that I will kill Eun….” So looked disturbed at the thought.

“I think hyungsoo-nim is worried that you will be forced to kill Eun-hyungnim. Besides, you cannot blame her with how often she sees that vision.” Baek ah said.

“I know that there are a lot of bad rumors about the 4th Prince. He would not go around killing people dear to him for no reason. Unless you have experienced something yourself….”

So fondly smiled at Seon Deok defending him.

“No!” Soo immediately said.

The 10th Princess smiled, as though she expected it and said, “You have a special relationship with the 4th Prince, I feel it is not right that you do not tell him about us hiding in Damiwon. Shouldn’t you trust the person you like?” Lady Park asked,

Soo remained quiet for some time, as the vision flashed through her head once more before the late King’s voice echoed in her head,

“Do not get so hung up on the future that you lose what you have now.” King Taejo’s voice was clear in her mind.

“I have given my daughter-in-law to be good advice.” King Taejo said.

She smiled at the 10th Princess, “You are right, my lady. I will visit the astronomer.” She bowed and left to complete her duties.

 

 

Hae Soo reached Ji Mong’s study in the astrology tower and looked around whether the 4th Prince or the royal astrologer was there. She frowned after looking around and finding no one there.

She found parchment and ink on the table and decided to leave a letter for the astrologer and the 4th Prince, informing them that the 10th Prince and Princess were hiding at the Damiwon. She hoped they would find her letter and help the royal couple escape.

 

 

Jung removed one of the rocks that was obstructing the exit of the cave Hae Soo had told them about and passed the rock to his hyungsoo-nim, who put the rock down near a pile of other rocks both of them had removed. The Prince and Princess by marriage were both really exhausted by the strenuous activity they were doing.

“I did not know the cave’s entrance was covered up.” The 8th Prince commented.

Soon Deok was trying and failing to pin her hair up. Jung noticed that her hair had been bothering her quite a bit since they had started removing the rocks.

He took out a hairpin from inside his hanbok and gave it to his sister-in-law.

Lady Seon Deok stared at the hairpin and then at the 14th Prince, who had decided to sit down, she joined him on the floor, exhausted and tired.

“Isn’t that Hae Soo’s hairpin?” Eun asked.

“Why do you carry around a hairpin?” She asked, unable to control her curiosity.

“Just because…” he muttered before saying, “But you have to give it back to me.”

“Why are you carrying Hae Soo’s hairpin around?” So asked annoyed.

“By the looks of it, it is not new. Does it belong to the girl you love?” She turned to look at the flustered prince with a teasing smile.

The 14th Prince blushed and could not say anything.

So glared at his younger full brother.

“I thought all you cared about was fighting. Aigoo, I am curious about who is she.” Soon Deok nudged Prince Jung, who could not look more flustered.

“Shhh” He put a finger over his mouth, as to say that whatever he was going to say should not be revealed outside.

“She is someone who put her life on the line for me. She put her whole body on the line in order to save me.” He proudly said, blushing and smiling.

“What?!” Queen Yoo exclaimed, shocked at what she was hearing.

A younger-looking Hae Soo ran screaming, wielding a big wooden branch like a sword. Prince Jung was held tightly by three men, and there were 5-6 men surrounding him.

Everyone watched in silence, shocked and awed.

“Hey! Back off, back off!” Hae Soo yelled, waving that branch around everywhere, trying to scare the men off.

Seol giggled. “She won’t manage to fend even two of them off, what is she doing?” Crown Prince Moo laughed.

The 14th Prince pushed off the men who were holding him.

“Get back! You’re dead if you come any closer!” She warned.

“Her bravery is unparalleled.”

All the men backed away, shocked at what they were seeing. “I will pull out your intestines and make stew with them!” She threatened everyone.

Everyone broke down laughing, “Stew?! Did she say stew?” Eun asked, shocked at what he was seeing.

 “You better not anger her hyungnim.” Baek ah warned, laughing at Soo’s antics.

“She is adorable.” So muttered, a huge smile plastered on his face.

The 14th Prince stared at Hae Soo in shock, “What do you think you’re looking at?! You’re dead if you come any closer!”

She waved the branch closer to their faces, so that they’d go back, “You’re dead if you come any closer! Don’t look at me you punk!”

“Her language is quite crass for a noble lady.” Court lady Oh commented, smiling.

“Get the hell away from us you bastards!” She screamed as she turned herself around.

“Did…did she just call them illegitimate children…,” Jung asked,

“Yep!” Baek ah laughed.

The scene shifted to Hae Soo dressed up prettily. It seemed she was singing some song.

So froze in awe, “Eomma is really pretty.” Seol whispered.

“At first, It was when I saw her sing.” The 14th Prince broke off grinning brightly at the thought. Soon Deok smiled at her brother-in-law.

“That was when I knew. Someday I wanted her to sing only for me. I started to wish for that. Are those feelings what it means to like someone?” He asked shyly.

“Yah! Stay away from Soo, who goes after their brother’s lover.” Wang So glared at Jung.

The 10th Princess grinned at the 14th Princess and nodded, “I am certain of it. I have been through it, so I know.”

“She has?” Eun asked, surprised.

“She talks about it all the time.” The General groaned.

“Then why did she marry me,” Eun muttered, looking upset at that.

Jung looked surprised at that, “You have, hyungsoo-nim?”

She smiled brightly and nodded, “When my older sister was chosen to become the King’s wife, all the girls from the powerful families gathered to play together. Even back then I was much more comfortable in my armor. To the other children, I was like a different species.”

“She’s a girl though,” Eun said,

“She is better than over half of you princes in the martial arts.” General Park said.

An eight-year-old Seon Deok watched her elder sister play with other girls. All of them were having fun, giggling, and laughing. She had dirt all over her hands and face, “I prefer being on the battleground.” She frowned.

General Park chuckled.

All of a sudden, she saw someone holding a flower ring in front of her, she looked confused at the sight of it.

She stood up to see who was showing her the flower ring, only to see 10th Prince Wang Eun, “Don’t cry.” He said, while offering her the ring.

“Oh it’s me.” The 10th Prince smiled.

“Don’t you like this flower ring?” He asked.

“Hyungnim I did not know you knew how to flirt.” Baek ah teased.

Seon Deok looked down at her dirty hands and hid them behind her back as she shook her head in denial.

“That is strange, all pretty girls seem to like flower rings. You will like it too, right?” He grinned at her, who had a huge smile on her face after hearing his words.

“So cute.” Prince Jung teasingly said.

“If you truly like someone, you will never be confused about it. Do not be worried about it and go for it. I will cheer you on!” The 10th Princess advised.

“Yah, yah, look at this girl, I am her orabeoni.” So pouted at the screen.

“My first love came true. Since I will be cheering you on, I know yours will come true, your highness.” She encouragingly said, He nodded in agreement.

“I am her first love?” Wang Eun whispered, extremely pleased at the thought.

Seon Deok got up and left.

Prince Jung looked determined to win Hae Soo’s heart.

“Prince Jung! Hwaiting!” Soo moved her hand as though she was punching the air.

“Why is she giggling and laughing so much with him.” The 4th Prince muttered, annoyed at the closeness of his brother with his lover.

“Hwai….” The 14th Prince looked confused, “Hwaiting”  she repeated.

“Hwaiting!” He said, smiling brightly as she giggled alongside him.

“Hwaiting!” Jung exclaimed, as he punched his hand through the air.

Baek ah and Eun shook their head at Jung.

Notes:

So, I was writing one of the last chapters of this book (I don't know why, I just felt like writing a tragedy) and you might find the SoSoo separation part far sadder than canon. So enjoy the angst :)

I'll keep the poll up until chapter eleven, so if you haven't, make sure to go vote for the idea you like!

https://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=5ebd2907e4b09a2d524dc517

Chapter 11: Chapter Ten

Summary:

Eun and Seon Deok spend the night together, Yeon Hwa and Hae Soo face off for Wang So and Yeon Hwa is an awful sister.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Chapter Ten

Princess Yeon Hwa looked radiant in her fine robes and jewelry, it was obvious that she had put in the effort to look good today.

Queen Hwangbo smiled at her daughter.

“Greetings to you, Pyeha.” She demurely greeted,

She did a complete traditional bow to the king and then rose up; she pushed a ring she was wearing up her finger.

King Jeongjong chuckled.

“I am sorry to come so late. Congratulations on becoming king.” She apologized with a pleasant grin.

“I was going to call you in soon. I have news regarding your marriage.” He said, a slight smirk on his face.

The Princess Yeon Hwa smiled and bowed her head daintily, “I will send you to Khitan.” The King announced,

The blood drained from her face, “What?”

King Taejo reminded everyone, “Goryeo will not associate itself with Khitan.”

“The late king had promised them Princess Kyung Hwa and then married her off to So. Therefore, I have agreed to send a royal who is just as high in status. Congratulations on your marriage, Yeon Hwa.”

“Why is that everyone who sits on that seat threatens me with marriage? Whether it be the person who fathered me or the person who grew up with me. You are all the same.” She said, all trace of smiles gone.

“A woman’s place is to marry well for her family, daughter. That is your duty as a royal woman.” The King told his daughter, who could not reply anything.

“You must believe there is no better way to control a woman than marriage. I am disappointed in you.” She continued, glaring at her brother.

“You’re still not greedy to be Queen, are you?” He chuckled

“You want to be Queen?” Queen Hwangbo asked her daughter in surprise as Queen Yoo smirked.

Court Lady Oh had a bad feeling that history was about to repeat itself.

She could only glare in response, “Your brother betrayed me and you were on his side. I cannot have a household like that as in-laws.” King Jeongjong said and watched as his little sister bubbled in anger.

“I’m not wrong.” The 3rd Prince shrugged.

Yeon Hwa turned around and left the courtroom, furious with what happened with her brother. As she walked to the 8th Prince’s residence, she could not help but constantly think of what had happened.

She clutched on to a pillar nearby as her eyes filled with tears, she threw the ring on her hand, the ring that the 3rd Prince had given her.

“I have someone else I want.” 4th Prince So told his sister, with a soft smile.

“You actually proposed to So” The Crown Prince looked surprised.

Yeon Hwa stood in front of her brother in silence as he continued, “Without Soo, I would not even have a future. I am nothing without her.”

Wang So nodded in agreement.

Tears fell from her eyes as she remembered of that incident. She stood there, in the middle of the palace, trying to control her sobs.

Eun was extremely bored staying at the Damiwon room, Hae Soo assigned to them, for a few days already but at least Seon Deok was with him that entire day.

Seon Deok sat on the bed, the perfect picture of a dainty, noble lady.

“Is that truly my daughter?” an incredibly surprised Park Soo Kyung asked.

He tried moving around but he could not help but feel restless.

The 10th Princess rolled her eyes at her husband’s antics. “It’s so stuffy in here. I have been running around this palace since I was a boy. Is there nowhere I can go besides this one room?” He complained.

“You really are despicable.” The 14th Prince said.

“At least you can go out, it has been days for me.” He continued, not noticing how close his wife was to strangling him.

‘I should have married the 14th Prince.’ She thought, as her husband continued to annoy her. Sometimes taking care of her husband was like taking care of a child.

Prince Eun glared at Prince Jung, who simply grinned, “What can I say, women love me.”

She plastered a sweet smile on her face and turned to look at Prince Eun, “Would you like to take a bath?” she asked.

“Wow our hyungsoo-nim is smooth.” Prince Jung said.

"What did you say?" he asked with a pounding heart, unable to believe what he just heard.

"Hae Soo does not allow the court ladies in at night, so it will be safe to go out of this room."

“Despite all the chaos, at least Damiwon is stable.” Concubine Oh commented.

Eun's heart suddenly calmed down and he smiled at Soon Deok's never ending thoughtfulness towards him.

He grinned at her and nodded with excitement.

She sat near the bath and so did Eun but he could not take his clothes off. Soon Deok was making him shy. They were married for a few years already, but they had not yet seen each other naked.

“The 10th Prince has great restraint; I’ll give him that.” Prince Yo chuckled. The 4th Prince looked at his brother and said, “I doubt he even knows what you mean.”

Prince Eun pouted while his brothers laughed.

He could feel that even Seon Deok was uncomfortable with it.

He stood up and took a lot of towels and made a rabbit with it. “What do you think?” He asked. Seon Deok looked amazed, “Wow! That is amazing! It looks like the real thing.” she exclaimed.

“A wife after his own heart.” The 13th Prince said, smiling at his brother.

“Didn’t your daughter grow up on the battlefield?” The King asked the General, who replied in affirmative.

“Well, it seems I have to show you my skills.” He said as he started to fold the towels to imitate different shapes and Soon Deok stared at everything he made with amazement and it encouraged him to make more.

After some time, both of them even made paper boats. “All right start!” he exclaimed as they began waving their fans to push their respective boats ahead.

The 10th Prince looked tensed as his wife’s boat went far ahead of his, Lady Park, who noticed this, began to pretend to wave her fan instead of actually waving it, letting her husband win.

“Yes! I won! See that? I won again!” The 10th Prince said brightly as the 10th Princess smiled at him brightly.

“Put your arm out.” Eun said as Seon Deok looked the other way, closing her eyes tightly, waiting for the hit.”

“The next time you try to hit my daughter, I will make sure you can never use your hand again.” General Park warned as the 4th Prince nodded in agreement as the king chuckled.

He noticed how red her hand was and instead of hitting her hand he said, “My hand hurts from hitting you too much.”

As the prince looked the other way, Seon Deok muttered, “Oh yeah,”

"I was going to give this to you but I forgot," Soon Deok said and Eun was surprised when she gave him his slingshot. It was a gift he received from his siblings and it was one of his precious possessions, a remembrance of the time when they were happily celebrating birthdays together.

“You remembered to bring this in all that confusion?” He asked, surprised.

"It’s your favorite thing, your slingshot" Soon Deok smiled at her husband.

Eun smiled brightly and turned to his father, “Abeoji, if you permit, I wish to marry Lady Park Seon Deok.” He said.

The king smiled at his son and looked to General Park, who sighed before replying, “This would make my daughter extremely happy and because of that, I agree.”

“You need not worry General Park; I will personally make sure Seon Deok-ah is taken care of here in Songak.” The 4th Prince smiled at his mentor in reassurance and then glared at the 10th Prince.

“it is settled then, by the King’s decree, I betroth 10th Prince Wang Eun to Lady Seon Deok of the Park Clan.” The King announced, as Queen Yoo frowned. Military support would have helped Yo to the throne.

Eun played with the slingshot for a while before sighing, "What Prince? I wanted to open the biggest novelty goods shop in all of Songak. That was my dream."

“At least, this one isn’t like his father.” Lady Oh muttered

“This Prince is being accused for treason.” The 13th Prince glared at the 3rd and 8th Prince.

"You can do that," Soon Deok agreed with eagerness. "We can go to Tamra and there you can open the novelty shop you are dreaming of, Your highness. I will teach martial arts."

"Should we?" Eun asked also getting excited as Seon Deok nodded in agreement. "I did manage to bring this one thing.” He said, smiling at his wife.

He gave Soon Deok an ornament she could wear and Soon Deok only stared at it. She suddenly looked upset and was frowning at her husband.

“Why is she upset?” Eun asked, “Don’t women like those things?”

So shrugged, not sure as to why Seon Deok was upset.

“Yes. I am sure Hae Soo will like it.” She said in a dejected tone, staring at the beautiful ornament.

“Ah, she thinks you’re giving it to Hae Soo.” The 14th Prince said, as the 4th Prince shook his head.

“It’s yours.” The 10th Prince said, upset at what she thought.

She turned to him in surprise as he stuttered, “Yeon Hwa noonim was asking what kind of girl does not even have an incense pouch. Why are you embarrassing your husband.” He said as he kept the ornament on his wife’s lap.

“I doubt I ever said that.” The Princess said, staring at her younger brother.

Eun looked at his wife who was still frowning, “Do..do you not like it?” he asked.

"That’s strange, they say all pretty girls like it," Eun said as the 10th Princess looked up in surprise.

“Yah! You used the same line again.” The 13th Prince remarked

“That’s strange. They say all pretty girls like flower rings.” A young Prince Eun told to Lady Park while offering her a flower ring.

Seon Deok turned to look at her husband, who stuttered, “I’m not saying you’re pretty. Just that….lately….you don’t look so bad….I have some eye issues-” Lady Seon Deok shut her rambling husband up by suddenly leaning close to him and kissing him.

Baek ah and Jung wolf-whistled as Eun blushed, “You better take care of her properly.” So threatened with a smile. The Crown Prince chuckled at his brothers’ antics.

"’I understand what you’re saying," she said as she pulled away from Eun whose heart was pounding crazily.

He was paralyzed for a few more moments while Soon Deok was smiling so beautifully at him.

‘When did you become this beautiful?’

“I would have liked to marry her; pity she chose you.” The 14th Prince teased his elder brother, who glared at him.

"Eun? Are you sleepy? Do you want to go back to Hae Soo's room?" Soon Deok asked, worrying at his sudden silence.

"I... I want two sons and two daughters!" he said a little louder than he had intended and Soon Deok was too stunned to react.

Everyone stared at the 10th Prince, “Of all things to say….” The 4th Prince started, “…you choose to say that.” The 13th Prince ended as the Crown Prince and the 14th Prince shook their heads in disappointment.

"I won’t have it any other way!” Eun loudly said, feeling embarrassed.

"Will kissing make me pregnant?"

“Maybe we should send her to Damiwon for a year.” The King said, looking at General Park.

“Hae Soo too, since she is not familiar with our customs.” Queen Yoo added.

Eun laughed softly at his wife's innocence. How could someone like Soon Deok fall in love with someone like him? She was too special for a childish prince like him.

“You better keep that in mind.” General Park muttered

But he was glad that Soon Deok chose him among his brothers. She was making him happy even if their situation was too complicated at that moment.

“This is so sweet.” Lady Hae smiled.

"Why are you staring like that?" Soon Deok asked, getting conscious.

"I'm just thinking."

"About what?"

"About how happy I am because you are with me," Eun said taking his wife gently in his arms. "Thank you for making me this happy, Soon Deok."

“I would never have expected Eun hyungnim to know about romance. It is always the unexpected ones.” The 13th Prince said as So and Eun indignantly glared at him.

"It is my pleasure, your highness," she said putting her arms around him.

The first thing Hae Soo saw when she woke up was Prince Eun and Princess Seon Deok return to their room and she smiled when she saw them holding each other's hand with such a sweet smile on their face.

When she arrived at the bath, she saw many towels folded in the shapes of different animals. A smile curved on her lips as she picked up a folded towel. She was happy that the couple could still find time to play and have fun, but she was also saddened because they had to go through this messy situation.

"My lady, there must have been a ghost. I am certain that I cleaned up before going to sleep.” Chae Ryung said when she entered the Damiwon bath along with the other court ladies.

“Did someone come by?” Chae Ryung asked Hae Soo, who smiled in turn.

"I made them. I thought I might decorate the Damiwon with them," she said, smiling brightly at all the towel animals. "Prince Jung will use this bath the whole day. Please prepare him a pleasant bath."

"Yes, Lady Soo," Chae Ryung said.

“How did he make these?” Hae Soo muttered, looking at the towel rabbit in surprise.

“Even Hae Soo notices my talent.” Prince Eun proudly said.

Hae Soo turned back to leave to look after her other duties when she saw Princess Yeon Hwa stand in the entrance to the bath. Her heart pounded hard on her chest. She had not seen Princess Yeon Hwa for a long time and the princess would only wish to see her if she were about to say something extremely annoying.

“How dare she-” Yeon Hwa started, but Queen Hwangbo silenced her, “You cannot control one’s thoughts.”

Hae Soo bowed to the Princess, “Hello, I will get the attendants ready to serve you.”

"I came to talk to you," the princess said, her face devoid of her usual smirk.

Hae Soo stood up straight, "Yes, then this way please," Hae Soo said and put the towel rabbit down before leaving the vicinity, with Princess Yeon Hwa following behind her.

Hae Soo poured tea for the Princess and stood in front of her, waiting for her usual insult and other such.

"Leave So-orabeoni," she said and as Hae Soo was expecting, it was something extremely annoying. "I know what you did with Wook-orabeoni. I know you have not told So-orabeoni about it and now he is bewitched by you. I cannot bear to see this indecent behavior anymore, so leave him first. Then I won’t cause a problem either."

“How could you Yeon Hwa….” So turned to look at his sister in shock.

“Orabeoni, I-” Yeon Hwa tried to explain herself but before she could say anything the 13th Prince said, “You cannot choose who the 4th Prince wishes to marry, that his choice.”

“Indecent behavior with Wook?” The King frowned.

“I do not understand either, it seems it happens in the future.” Lady Hae said, frowning at what she was hearing.

She turned to look at Hae Soo, who was trying her best to control her anger, “Your goal in getting married is to leave the palace. I will do that for you. I can get you married to a family that’s on a similar level to that of a prince.”

Hae Soo’s blood was boiling, ‘Who does she think she is?!’

"Marriage might be a goal for you, your highness, but not for me. He is happy because of me. He makes me feel valued and that is why I want to marry the 4th Prince." Hae Soo said,

The 4th Prince smiled fondly at Hae Soo.

"I don't plan on marrying Prince So just to get out of this place," she said. "If that is the only thing that I wanted we would have been married a long time ago."

"What did you say?" Princess Yeon Hwa asked, rage filling her with what she heard.

“Ah it was mentioned how you proposed earlier.” Baek ah said.

The tension increased in the tearoom as Hae Soo directly looked at Princess Yeon Hwa, “If he remains steadfast, then there is no reason for me to change. I will NOT leave him first.” She firmly said.

“I’ve found the perfect person for me.” Prince So smiled.

“Now I know why I’ve always hated you. For you, feelings and marriage are all just silly games. They aren’t life and death like they are for me.” Princess Yeon Hwa smiled with sarcasm.

‘Hearing you say that I am just using my Prince So makes me hate you even more’

“‘My’ Prince So” The Crown Prince chuckled as the 4th Prince blushed.

The Princess stood up, “Do not be so confident that you will not change. No one says such things in the palace. You will have many regrets. I promise you I will make you regret this.”

"Let's see," Princess Yeon Hwa said, still smiling hatefully at Hae Soo. "Who will the 4th Prince end up with? Will it be with you or me?"

“Yeon Hwa, you are my dear sister, but I do not wish to marry you. I am sorry.” Wang So told Yeon Hwa, who could not believe her ears.

It was her confident smile that bothered Hae Soo.



"Grand General Park Soo Kyung and Astronomer Choi Jimong. Those with military and religious power are sticking by Fourth Prince Wang So. You must get rid of the Fourth Prince as soon as possible," Wook proposed to King Jeongjong.

The King smiled at General Park and Ji Mong, who bowed their heads.

"It hasn’t been long since we planned Wang Gyu’s revolt.” the king said. "Also, So is a brother who shared the same womb as me. Even when I attack him, the timing must be right."

“You’re disgusting.” The 14th Prince shook his head, “He is our brother!”

The 3rd Prince rolled his eyes.

"Then you must separate Park Soo Kyung and Choi Jimong from him. You cannot let him have that much support."

The king was silenced. He was considering the proposal and that was enough for Wook even though he was really dying to kick So out of his way. So only had a few people important to him and he would surely suffer and shatter if Wook took them from him one by one. Maybe that was better than kicking him out of the palace.

Their conversation and his fantasies were interrupted when Yeon Hwa arrived.

"What is this?" the king yelled at Yeon Hwa's intrusion.

Even Wook was surprised to see his sister there.

She bowed in front of the king with what seemed like a confident smile.

"I wish to make things a little easier for my two orabeonis," she said, confusing the king and Wook. "In return of this information, if my plan works out, I want you to cancel my marriage to Khitan."

“I have a bad feeling about this.” The 10th Prince muttered.

"That depends on the information you have," the king said with a suspicious smile.

"Why are you staring at me like that and embracing me this tight?" Prince So asked, looking curiously at Hae Soo.

"Nothing," she said, not looking away from the Fourth Prince and she tightened her embrace around his waist.

“Awwwww” The 13th and 10th Prince cooed together, as the 4th Prince rolled his eyes.

The truth was that she was bothered by what Princess Yeon Hwa had said earlier. What if she could really separate her and Prince So? Hae Soo was now more bothered by Princess Yeon Hwa than by Prince Wook. Women can really be more frightening than men.

“She’s not wrong.” The King chuckled while looking at Court Lady Oh, who could not help as blood rushed to her face. She glared at him with bright red cheeks.

"Soo, are you not feeling well?" Prince So asked when Hae Soo shivered.

"Just let me do this," she said, leaning her head on his shoulder. "I miss you so much whenever I fail to see you, even for just a single day. You owe this to me."

The 4th Prince could not help but smile brightly, “She’s so cute.” He muttered.

Prince So smiled and put an arm around Hae Soo's waist.

"Did something happen?" he asked, still worrying.

Hae Soo shook her head.

"Soo..."

"You are mine," Hae Soo said, stunning Prince So.

“The girl really is bold.” The King laughed alongside the General.

"W-why are you suddenly saying that?"

"Ah... now I understand why you say it to me so often." Hae Soo said, smiling. "Those words are soothing to the ear and to the heart."

"Now I know why you look so nervous whenever you hear those words."

The 4th Prince blushed as almost all his brothers laughed

"Prince So!"

He laughed softly then asked, "You said you are not a possession?"

"I'm not," she said. "I just want to say those words and be comforted. I want to tell the world that you are mine and that no one could take you away from me."

“Hyungsoo-nim is so adorable.” The 13th Prince smiled as he nudged his 4th brother.

"Now you want me to be your possession?" Prince So asked, raising an eyebrow.

Hae Soo only nodded with a naughty smile.

The 14th Prince frowned, he really did not like his brother marrying Hae Soo.

"You are strange today," Prince So said and though he was smiling, he was still worrying. "What has gotten into you?"

"I just missed you."

Prince So sighed and kissed her forehead then whispered to her, "I am always full of energy whenever I got to spend time with you. Thank you, Soo."

“Get married already.” The 10th Prince teased his elder brother, who looked really flustered.

Hae Soo only smiled and tightened her embrace to her only prince, forgetting to tell him about Eun and Seon Deok hiding in Damiwon.

“This is going to end really badly.” General Park muttered.

Notes:

I'm giving you some SoSoo content because the next couple of chapters are going to be awful.

Don't forget to vote for which idea you'd like to read about here!
https://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=5ebd2907e4b09a2d524dc517

Chapter 12: Chapter Eleven

Summary:

Hae Soo tries to save Eun and Seon Deok.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Chapter Eleven

 

 

Wang So rushed into the 8th Prince’s residence searching around for his sister. “Where’s Princess Yeon Hwa?!” He asked the servants nearby who stared at the prince in fear before replying, “She…she’s in her study, your highness.”

So rushed to the Princess’ study, he entered the chamber to find Yeon Hwa reading a book, he walked up to her, his face tensed, “I was told that you know where Eun is. Where is he?”

“If he knows….that means you told the king where Eun-hyungnim was hiding?” Jung questioned his elder sister.

“I doubt I’d hurt one of my brothers.” Yeon Hwa refuted.

"Court Lady Hae Soo has been hiding 10th Prince Wang Eun and his wife, 10th Princess Seon Deok in the Damiwon."

“So-hyungnim is going to be very upset.” The 13th Prince muttered.

Yeon Hwa said, stunning Wang So.

"How do you know? Did you see him yourself?” So immediately asked, unable to believe what he just heard.

Hae Soo would not lie to him about this. She knew how much he wanted to find and help Eun.

"Eun has had a knack for folding things out of towels since he was little. When I went to the Damiwon the other day, it was filled with things made of towels. I am sure it was Eun."

Wang So quickly ran out of the 8th Prince’s Residence and towards the Damiwon.

Why would Hae Soo do this to him? Doesn't she trust him? How long was she hiding Eun? All those times they were seeing each other... she could have said that to him... Why did she choose to hide it from him?

General Park sighed.

“Visions have that kind of effect, Hae Soo tried to prevent what she saw from happening but in the end, she’ll fulfill her vision.” Ji Mong said.

Why?

 

 

“If you follow this path out to the cave. Jung-nim will be waiting for you outside. He will help you get safely to the boat” Hae Soo told Eun and Seon Deok,

She handed a package to Lady Park and continued, “It’s some dried meat, just in case.”

“Thank you very much.” Lady Seon Deok said as she took the package, Hae Soo smiled at the princess.

“Soo-ya, I’ll see you when I’m back.” Despite Eun’s bright voice, the atmosphere in the area remained tense.

“He’s a prince of the blood, he shouldn’t have to leave the palace like this.” The 13th Prince shook his head

“By the way, what about my father?” The 10th Princess asked,

“I met the 4th Prince the other day, but I completely forgot to tell him about the both of you. However, I did leave a letter, I’m sure he will meet you on the way.” Hae Soo sheepishly replied.

“She should have told me the previous night.” The 4th Prince muttered.

‘It’s fine, once they both leave safely, I’ll inform the 4th Prince’ she thought.

Eun held a very tensed Lady Seon Deok’s hand and said, “Let’s go.” But as soon as they moved to leave, sounds of people fighting and swords hitting each other was heard.

“Oh god…” Lady Hae whispered.

The 14th Prince came running, “Run! There are royal guards everywhere outside.” He quickly told, looking worried.

“I cannot believe Yeon Hwa told the king.” The 13th Prince shook his head in disgust.

“Jung ah” the 10th Prince looked at his younger brother, suddenly afraid for their lives.

“I will stop them, so run!” Jung ordered his elder brother and turned to Hae Soo, “You too!” The court lady gave one last glance to the 14th Prince and ran the other way with the 10th Prince and Princess.

“We are here for the 10th Prince. Find him now!” A soldier’s voice was heard, stopping the three of them.

The sound of an ongoing battle filled the Damiwon as Hae Soo looked around.

“Take the prince the other way.” Lady Seon Deok said to Lady Hae Soo.

“What?” Prince Eun turned to his wife, “They won’t be able to kill me because of my father. They are after you, Your Highness.” She informed her husband.

“This foolish girl…” General Park said, as he looked at his daughter in fear.

Eun grabbed his wife’s hand, holding onto it tightly, “No you can’t, let’s go together.” Eun said, his voice filled with fear.

Seon Deok removed his hand from hers and smiled at him, “I will follow you soon, I promise you.”

 “I’m trusting you.” Seon Deok told Hae Soo as she ran to join the battle, trying to make time for the 10th Prince to run away.

Hae Soo looked towards Prince Eun anxiously, “Listen to your wife and run, your highness.” She pulled him by his hand towards another exit, when he suddenly stopped, “I can’t do it, I cannot hide behind my wife like this in shame.” He made way to move but Hae Soo held onto him with both her hands, “Your highness!” she looked at him and shook her head.

“You should listen to her, they cannot harm Seon Deok.” The Crown Prince told his 10th brother.

“Harming Seon Deok would mean losing military support. That’s something the new king cannot afford.” The 4th Prince added.

“You’d only be a liability to her, since you cannot fight.” The General concluded.

“What can I do? I am her awesome person now. I am all she has.” Eun forced a smile as he removed his hand from Soo’s grasp and walked towards his wife.

‘it’s coming true’ was the only thought running in her head as she saw the 10th Prince walk away from her.

The vision flashed in her head once more,

Everything was red and the 10th Prince was on the ground, his body full of arrows, Seon Deok on the ground, lifeless beside him.

“We won’t die right….” The 10th Prince whispered in fear.

Hae Soo looked at her hands in fear.

 

 

 

Eun was terrified. He knew Yo was difficult to convince once he had decided on something. But since he had no better choice left, he had to be courageous and persuade Yo.

Soon Deok quickly pushed Eun on the ground before fighting the soldiers back with her excellent martial arts. She could equal the soldiers' skills even without a sword.

He just decided to grab one of the swords scattered on the ground and, even though he never held a real sword in his entire life, he held it firmly and stood beside Soon Deok to somehow be a help to her.

“You should have taught all your sons sword fighting.” Park Soo Kyung told the King as he watched his daughter fight the royal guards off.

So had taught him a thing or two whenever they went in the forest but it was not enough to match the skills of the soldiers... to help his wife... who got cut on her side.

So-hyungnim... where are you?

So covered his face, as he looked at what was happening in worry.

Seon Deok fought with the palace guards who were around the Damiwon, it was obvious that she was great at what she was doing, she was a natural at sword fighting. But as more and more soldiers began attacking her, she could not attack them and defend herself at the same time, and she was forced to stop when one of them cut her right hand.

“Seon Deok ah” General Park and the 10th Prince yelled at the same time.

Eun immediately came forward and placed himself in front of his wife, “You should go now.” Seon Deok whispered as she looked at the love of her life, “Be quiet. I will be the one to protect you.” He ordered, looking tense.

The King watched from above, silently observing what was happening below. Yo was standing on a high hallway with guards standing behind him. He was staring angrily down at Eun.

“How could you?! He’s your brother! How can you silently watch him die?!” Jung asked his 3rd brother angrily, unable to watch.

"Yo-hyungnim, please let us go!" Eun pleaded as he tightened his grip on the hand of his wife. "Please... if you let us go... we will never return to Goryeo again! Think of our past bond. We had grown up together. You know that I never desire that seat. I did not know anything about the plan to overthrow you. I will never do that to you. Please, Your Majesty, believe me. I will never take the throne from you."

The 10th Prince looked at Prince Yo with tear-filled eyes, “You are not my brother.”

King Jeongjong looked at a soldier behind the royal couple, who nodded and went to attack the 10th Prince, Seon Deok noticed him coming and pushed her husband away, and took the blade to her heart, falling to the ground.

The sword cut deep in her chest and she collapsed on the ground, nearly lifeless...

“MY DAUGHTER!” General Park screamed as he saw his daughter take the sword meant for the prince.

“No, no, no…,” Eun whispered as tears silently fell from his eyes.

"My wife..." he cried as he touched her face with his trembling hands. She looked at him and though she was in pain... she still managed to smile at him. "It's all right... You will be fine... Do you hear me? You will be fine...We’ll go together alright.."

But Soon Deok closed her eyes...

“My little sister….” Prince So whispered, controlling the tears in his eyes.

"No..." he cried harder as he was shaking her, trying to wake her up... but her eyes remained shut... unmoving... "Soon Deok... no... Don't leave me like this... Soon Deok..."

Everyone watched in silence at the scene occurring, Lady Hae, Court Lady Oh, and Queen Hwangbo had tears in their eyes. Princess Yeon Hwa could not believe what she was seeing.

Eun embraced his wife but he had let go of her when an arrow pierced his right arm.

He stared furiously at Yo. He was not afraid of death anymore. With Soon Deok dead... his life had already lost its meaning...

Prince Eun’s heart was aching, he practically killed her, he was the reason she died.

The 10th Prince’s sobs filled the silent chamber.

Just as he closed his eyes, he heard someone yelling, anger clear in their voice, he opened his eyes to see the 4th Prince.

So suddenly came and fought some soldiers before he could stand beside Eun and shield him.

Everyone looked in surprise as the 4th Prince shielded the 10th Prince with his body.

"Move away," Yo warned So who did not listen.

"Must you go this far?" So angrily asked.

"The roots of treason must be pulled out in order to keep the nation peaceful," Yo reasoned.

Prince Jung and Court Lady Oh arrived at the scene, shock clearly visible on their faces, “Stop!” Jung yelled as he moved forward, but before he could do anything, the soldiers blocked his way and held onto him, not letting him move.

"Eun is innocent!" So bellowed in frustration.

Eun smiled through his tears at his 4th brother, who smiled at him back.

"Move away," Yo warned, a little louder and the soldiers moved to attack.

So quickly defended himself and Eun but Yo's aim never misses.

His arrow hit Eun on the chest.

“NO!” The Crown Prince, 4th Prince, 13th Prince and 14th Prince screamed, tears falling from their eyes, watching their brother die horribly like this.

‘No...’

Hae Soo struggled against the soldiers that were stopping her from running towards Prince Eun but they were too many and too strong for her. She could not do anything but look as Soon Deok die... and now... Prince Eun was dying... The king shot him twice already... and he was going to release his third arrow.

The 8th Prince looked down, feeling ashamed to even watch this, his younger brother dying….

It was painful to watch... and even more so when Prince So arrived and tried his best to protect Prince Eun... but the evil king still found a way to hit Prince Eun on the chest.

“Do you have a heart?! The brother who grew up with you!” The 4th Prince yelled at his elder full brother.

Her vision... It was about to happen... and she could not stop it anymore... She was as helpless as Prince Jung was from the soldiers holding them.

Wang So caught Eun as he collapsed.

"Eun ah..." he called out to his younger brother that was in so much pain, his eyes filled with tears as he helplessly held onto his younger brother.

"Hyungnim..." he whispered with difficulty. "Do you remember... back on my birthday... you said... you would give me... any present... that I wanted..”

Eun watched as sobs wracked his body, Seon Deok died defending him, he could not process that.

Wang So's chest tightened, as if an arrow were also stuck in there.

‘Why are you suddenly mentioning that day, Eun?’  Wang So wanted to ask but his painful throat could not manage to make a sound.

It was a sight no one expected to see, the 4th Prince protecting the 10th Prince from the 3rd Prince.

"Do you... recall that?"

Wang So could not reply.

"I was told... there was a gift... that only you... could give to me..." Eun went on, shedding regretful tears. "he... manipulated me... It was Yo... who wanted it..."

Tears welled in Wang So's eyes when Eun stared at his dead wife and shed more sorrowful tears.

"That girl... I cannot let her go alone..." he said, looking back at Wang So.

The 4th Prince stared at Lady Seon Deok’s lifeless body and controlled a sob, she was his younger sister in all but blood, they had grown up together but he could not save her….

Wang So shook his head, as tears fell from his eyes, he tightly hugged his daughter.

"Hyungnim... I would prefer... dying with your sword... than Yo's arrow... It is a gift that... only you can give me..." Eun glared at his 3rd brother and beseechingly looked at his 4th.

So wept at Prince Eun's pleading...

“You’re asking hyungnim to kill you?” The 13th Prince stammered, shock filled his face.

He never wanted to agree on it but... it was Eun's last request to him. No matter how maddening Eun's request was, he was right. Wang So could not let his younger brother die... in the hands of Yo.

Eun did not deserve that kind of death...

“No, no, no” So repeated, “I cannot kill my younger brother.” Wang So choked out, tears falling from his eyes.

With agony piercing his chest, he hesitantly grabbed Eun's hand that was tightly gripping his sleeve, and, for a moment, they stared at each other, both crying with the misery of their situation.

"Eun..." Wang So managed to whisper as more tears poured from his eyes. "I'm sorry... I could not save you..."

“Thank you Hyungnim.” Eun thanked his elder brother.

Eun tightened the grip on Wang So's sleeve and weakly uttered, "Thank you... for everything...hyungnim.."

Wang So shed more agonizing tears as he let go of Eun's hand and stood up. He tightly clenched his hand on the hilt of his sword before he raised it.

“My son….” King Taejo’s eyes filled with tears.

And to worsen the pain inside of him... memories of Eun flashed through his mind...

“I’m sorry hyungnim…” Eun apologized to So.

They had been so close... but now... Wang So had to kill Eun...

Wang So bellowed his misery, frustration, and loathing as he cut Eun deep in the chest...

Even Queen Yoo could not watch the scene, despite not wanting to, she felt sad seeing her son weeping, blood was always true after all.

The anguish and misery on Prince So's tearful eyes as he cut Prince Euns's chest, pierced through Hae Soo's heart.

They could only watch as Prince Eun collapsed on the ground and reached out for his wife until his last breath.

Almost everyone wept at the sight they were forced to see.

It was a maddening sight...

Prince Jung angrily bellowed and overpowered the soldiers holding him off. He quickly ran beside Prince Eun and tried to wake him up but Prince Eun... was not waking up...

“Hyungnim…hyungnim…open your eyes hyungnim, wake up.” The 14th Prince sobbed as he looked at his elder brother’s dead body.

“Don’t be a fool Jung ah” Eun smiled through his tears at his younger brother, who got up from his seat and hugged his 10th brother. The Crown Prince, 4th, and 13th followed the 14th Prince.

Prince So broke down in tears then laughed as if he had gone crazy. It was exactly like her vision. Prince So had momentarily gone insane at killing his own brother, Prince Jung stared at his full brother in worry and horror.

Queen Yoo stared at her 4th Prince in surprise, ignoring the tears in her eyes.

“The Lady’s vision has come true…” The Royal Astrologer stated.

The king looked back at Prince So, also angry, but not as intensely as the Fourth Prince. They glared at each other for a while before the king left, followed by the palace soldiers.

Hae Soo was finally freed and as much as she wanted to run to Prince So, she stopped herself. She was ashamed to come to him because she could not save Prince Eun. This was entirely her fault. She was too confident that she could save them both... but in the end, she could not save either one of them...

“The poor girl….she does not deserve this…forced 1000 years in the past, the weight of the future on her shoulders and having to watch the people she loved, die.” Lady Hae said sorrowfully, wiping her tears away.

Hae Soo silently walked towards the 10th Prince, memories filling her mind as tears fell from her eyes.

The 10th Prince smiled and teasingly asked, “Oh dear, were you waiting for me?”

“In all my time as a prince, no girl has ever treated me this way.” He seriously said, as he stared at a younger-looking Hae Soo.

“Everyone uses that line hyungnim.” Baek ah forced a laugh.

“I cannot believe this happened.” She said, looking back at the prince incredulously.

“What?” He asked,

The scene shifted to the 10th Prince outside Lady Soo’s chamber, puppets which looked like him and the lady on his hands, as he grinned at the girl.

“You are awesome, your highness.” Hae Soo smiled at the 10th Prince, lifting her thumb up.

“There is the king, so how can I be the best? Maybe I could be this.” Prince Eun smiled shyly as he raised his index finger,

“Let me go! Let me go!” Hae Soo and Wang Eun’s voices echoed as the scene changed to both of them fighting.

“Oh my” Everyone looked in shock at the two nobles actually fighting.

“Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you…” Hae Soo sang as Eun and her danced together to her song.

The 10th Prince shyly looked at her and asked, “First love, you say?” as he looked at his cloth-covered fingers.

Hae Soo stared lifelessly at the dead body of the 10th Prince.

 

 

 

Wang So was walking aimlessly. He was still holding the sword that was covered with Eun's blood. The intensity of emotions running inside of him had finally made him numb...

Everyone pitifully stared at the 4th Prince, who had returned to his seat and was being hugged by his daughter.

He could not even say a word to General Park when he came running to him but the blood on his sword was enough to say what his mouth could not. It was enough to tell General Park that Wang So could not save anyone, the general's daughter... and his own brother...

“I’m sorry General Park” So muttered, looking at the General in tears,

“It is not your fault, Your Highness.” General Park replied.

The general ran as fast as he could towards his daughter while Wang So continues to walk aimlessly around the palace.

"Prince So!" Jimong called out to him and Wang So turned to face him.

He was about to ask what happened but refrained from doing so because by only looking at Wang So, he had already known the answer.

“Smart choice.” The 4th Prince dryly said.

The astronomer was shocked, but he did not say anything.

“Which means, he wasn’t destined to die?” The Crown Prince asked and the Astrologer nodded in agreement.

Wang So looked around him and realized that he was standing in the middle of the king's courtyard.

He looked at the throne room filled with hatred.

"Ji Mong..." he said with his gaze fixed on the throne room. "It seems that I... must become a dog that kills, a dog that bites its owner and takes over its owner's home. I... must become a rabid wolf dog."

“You’re…you’re going to be…. king?” the 14th Prince asked his elder brother, shocked at what he was seeing and hearing.

Tears filled his eyes as he remembered having to kill Eun... as he remembered watching Mu die.

‘I... will never be that helpless again...’

‘I, Wang So, will become the King of Goryeo...’

“And so it begins.” The Crown Prince said, looking at his father.

“It is his destiny to become king.” King Taejo said.

The 4th Prince looked dead, he was still trying to process what he had seen.

Notes:

I had a lot of work as of late, so I couldn't write another chapter, I'm really sorry.

Also, am I the only one who feels like Kim Go Eun would make a great Wang Seol, I mean, Wang So's eyes, Hae Soo's face and skin color.

Speaking of Kim Go Eun, oh my god, episode 11 and 12 of The King: Eternal Monarch had me shook. Lee Min Ho looked so hot.

I will be closing this poll tomorrow, so make sure to vote for which idea you'd like to read:
https://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=5ebd2907e4b09a2d524dc517

Chapter 13: Chapter Twelve

Summary:

So cuts ties with Soo, 4th Prince chooses to become king

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Chapter Twelve

 

 

Baek-Ah had been busy helping So-hyungnim in his search for Eun-hyungnim that he had not visited the Damiwon for quite some time and since he would meet with his 4th brother later that day, he decided to visit Hae Soo first. And he was not expecting to see such a devastating scene outside the Damiwon.

Baek ah hid his face in his hands, unable to believe what he was seeing, “So…so this is what would have happened? Had…had we not been called here…?” He asked,

Ji Mong grimly nodded, “Your futures would have played out in that manner had it not been for this.”

It was like when King Hyejong had died. Has Soo and Jung were staring blankly at the bloody and lifeless couple.

“I…I…died….” Eun whispered, shocked at what he was seeing.

General Park was also there, and he was cradling Soon Deok in his arms. There was anger in his eyes as he looked at his daughter.

“My daughter…..” Park Soo Kyung whispered as tears fell from his eyes.

“I’m sorry Park Soo Kyung.” King Taejo apologized for what the 3rd Prince did.

"I told her ‘the 13th Prince is handsome, 14th Prince is talented in martial arts’ I told her to marry one of them, but this stubborn girl insisted on marrying the 10th  Prince," General Park said with a bitter laugh. "She said he was her first love. If I knew this would happen...I would have stopped her."

“Abeoji…maybe you should cancel the marriage between Lady Seon Deok and I….she died because of me…” The 10th Prince said, softly crying.

He faltered and shook his head. "I suppose she would have married him even if she knew this would happen. My Seon Deok is that kind of girl. She is true to herself and does not know how to change."

“You heard what I said, Seon Deok ah won’t marry anyone but you…” The Grand General huffed,

The King said, “What you’ve seen, happened in another world, the lady won’t die because of you Wang Eun, so do not worry about things like this.”

General Park solemnly looked at Hae Soo and asked, "Let me ask you just one thing, My Soon Deok... Did my Soon Deok receive lots of love from the 10th  Prince?"

"A lot, very much." Hae Soo answered, shedding more tears. "Prince Eun loved her greatly that he had chosen to die with her... like she had chosen to die protecting him. Prince Eun and Soon Deok... loved each other that much..."

“They should have lived happily together for long….” The 14th Prince whispered, glaring at the 3rd Prince.

"That's enough, then," General Park said, finally letting his tears fall. "Soon Deok... I'm sorry. I could not do anything for you. I could not save you... Soon Deok..."

General Park broke down in tears as he embraced Soon Deok.

"I will kill him," Jung suddenly said, filled with loathing. "Wang So... I will kill him."

So felt the tears threatening to fall, in his eyes.

“How can you be so foolish?! Our 3rd brother is the reason Eun-hyungnim died, but you blame So-hyungnim?!” Baek ah glared at Jung.

“You should not let emotions fool you Jung ah, you must rationally look at things.” The Crown Prince added as Eun nodded in agreement, glaring at the 14th Prince.

Baek-Ah trembled when he heard that.

Did So... do this?

“I’m sorry Eun ah…” So apologized, looking at his younger brother, who only smiled in turn,

“You only did what I asked you to do hyungnim, I should be thanking you.”

Jung picked up a sword and stood up but Hae Soo quickly grabbed his arm and stopped him.

"Don't," she pleaded. "You can't..."

"I will kill him," he angrily repeated. "I will kill him before he kills more of my brothers!"

So clenched his jaw, trying not to cry, “Abeoji don’t cry…” Seol whispered, her tiny hands wiping her father’s tears away.

"He wanted it," Hae Soo miserably said at Jung. "Prince Eun wanted it," she repeated, shedding more sorrowful tears. "It is not Prince So's fault. None of this is his fault. Do not blame him. He is also having a hard time..."

“Exactly.” Baek ah said.

Jung dropped his sword and screamed in deep frustration.

“I am sorry hyungnim” Jung apologized to So as the Queen stared at her youngest son in surprise.

They were all miserably weeping that Baek-Ah tried his best to suppress his own tears as he approached them.

"What... what happened here?" his voice trembled as he stared closer at Eun's lifeless body.

It crushed Baek-Ah's heart and... hearing that So-hyungnim had done this to Eun... made him feel suffocated.

Why do terrible things like this always happen to So-hyungnim?

“The various terrible things you face in life only help to make you stronger, perhaps the 4th Prince went through so many tribulations to fulfill his destiny of being a great king.” The King commented.

 

 

 

"Eun is dead," the king said when Wook came to the throne room that night. "He and his wife are both dead. This should make all the powerful families hesitate on plotting against me."

“How can you think of politics after you’ve killed your brother?!” Jung questioned his 3rd brother, his anger blatantly visible.

“There are a great many deeds one must commit to protect the throne.” The 3rd Prince replied, the Crown Prince scoffed at his answer.

Wook had already heard of it but his hands still trembled, hearing it from the king.

Wook kept telling himself that he should not feel anything since Eun and his family could be a possible threat to the throne and sooner or later this would still be Eun's fate.

“I am sorry Eun ah” The 8th Prince whispered, looking at his 10th brother.

"Congratulations on your victory, Your Majesty," Wook said as emotionless as he could.

"We should hurry and move the capital city to Seokyeong," the king continued. "That will satisfy Uncle Wang Shik Ryeom. And... Wook, I think you will be happy with this... I already thought of a reason to throw So out of the palace."

“Move the capital?!” The Crown Prince asked in shock, “Why would you move the capital? It seems that only two kings have ruled from Songak.” The 3rd Prince looked the other way, not bothering to answer.

Wook did not answer the king but it did make him happy.

 

 

 

Baek-Ah was exhausted as he climbed the stairs in Jimong's tower and he felt even more disheartened when he saw his older brother standing on the terrace with a dejected look in his eyes.

Baek-Ah stood beside So and reported, "They will not hold a funeral for them since they had been branded as traitors. We are not to wear our mourning clothes. They cannot be buried in the royal family cemetery. They were thrown outside the castle... into the forest to become crows' food,"

Everyone glared at the 3rd Prince, “He is your brother! He is a Prince of the blood, this is heinous crime!” The King’s voice thundered as he glared at the 3rd Prince, who bowed his head in fear,

“Forgive him Pyeha, he was just trying to safeguard his position.” Queen Yoo pleaded.

“The position which was never his to begin with? The position he stole by killing the Crown Prince.” Wang So looked at his birth mother, who looked shocked by Wang So’s words.

The King and Grand General shared a glance.

Baek-Ah faltered and was tearful as he remembered the misery experienced by Eun and Soon Deok's body. He was angry at Yo for doing killing innocent people... for killing their own brother. "We secretly took care of their bodies and buried them. The arrows... we could not get them out of Eun's body. Jung... had to break the arrows in half..."

Jung looked away, sobbing at the thought.

Eun was frozen, as though he could not understand what he was hearing.

So's eyes welled with tears at hearing that and when he uttered, "Eun... he still remembered that birthday... when I... had already forgotten about it. He said that it was the gift only I could give him..."

“Thank you very much hyungnim.” Eun thanked his 4th brother.

"I am certain that Eun is grateful at what you did for him today," Baek-Ah said, feeling the pain and sorrow So was suffering. He wanted to somehow lighten the burden of his older brother.

Baek ah and So smiled at each other.

Ji Mong approached both the princes with a letter in his hand, “I just found the letter Court Lady Hae left for me. She informed me that the 10th Prince was hiding with his wife in Damiwon.”

“Hae Soo…” So whispered

“She tried to tell the 4th Prince, but we cannot blame her for late actions, those visions do look really scary.” Ji Mong spoke up for the girl, the Crown Prince and the 8th Princess nodded in agreement.

King Taejo sighed.

Baek-Ah was terribly worried not only with So but also with Hae Soo. He was surprised when Hae Soo told him everything. She was hiding Eun and Soon Deok from the very beginning and she concealed that knowledge to So. And now... Eun and Soon Deok are dead. He could understand Soo's reason for doing that. She was only trying to help... but... So... might not be that understanding.

“You had to kill Eun-hyungnim right, that’s why.” Baek ah understanding his future self’s reasoning, explained.

“Hopefully you don’t hurt the girl.” Eun said, worried about his elder brother.

So pointed at Seol, as to say ‘We’ll be fine, this child is proof’

The Crown Prince smiled.

Baek-Ah could only sigh and pray that So would find it in his heart to understand and forgive Soo.

“I probably will.” The 4th Prince said.

 

 

 

Wang So went to Lake Dongji, knowing that Hae Soo would be there, waiting for him, and he was right, as he could see the silhouette of the Royal Court Lady.

It seemed like she was waiting there for a long time because she was already massaging her injured leg.

He did not want to hurt her further, she who was his everything, but he had to, this was the only way he could protect her….and that he could not help but feel hurt over Eun’s death.

“You’re pushing her way because Yo would use her as bait to try to control you.” The Crown Prince commented.

Hae Soo turned around, hearing him come and ran towards him. "Now I must look like a monster in your eyes too. I did kill Eun” He said, staring at her.

“It was a hard choice to make, I know that.” She said, her eyes showing how worried she was about him.

“Why did you hide the fact that Eun was in Damiwon?” He asked, fearfully waiting for her reply. Hae Soo looked downwards in response.

‘She said she does not fear me, that she is not afraid of me,’ he repeated in his mind constantly.

“You didn't trust me, did you? You did not say anything because you were worried that I might kill Eun.” The 4th Prince raised his voice.

“She should have told me she was hiding Eun…” Wang So shook his head.

“Yes, I did, I was worried about the 10th Prince. However, I was worried that you might have to do something terrible. I thought things would turn out alright if they escaped. I did not realize we could end up hurting each other…until it was too late. That is why I left that letter, I trust you, I know it took me some time, but I truly trust you. Enough that I would trust you in any situation. I realized how much I like you” She said, looking at her prince.

“It’s too late now….” Baek ah shook his head and stared at his brother, who looked lifeless as he watched the events occur.

“But…now I don’t feel that way.” When he said those words, Hae Soo felt as though someone was running her through with a sword, her heart ached at his harsh words.

“Soo-ya….” Hae Myung Hee shook her head, and controlled her tears.

Yeon Hwa smirked, ‘it is good that she is suffering, she deserves to suffer for trying to take So-orabeoni from me’ she thought.

“When I look at you…I will only remember what had happened because of your lack of trust in me. Eun died because of you. I will remember how I had to kill him.” He continued, his heart breaking as he saw the pain on her face at his words, but he had to say this, he must.

“Hyungnim…that was very harsh….” The 10th Prince looked worried.

“In order to save you…I became the King’s dog and my feelings for you remained unchanged, but now, they have changed. Let’s stop now.” So said and turned around to walk away, ignoring the broken look on her face.

“He is doing it to save her, sometimes harsh things must be done to protect the ones we love.” Court Lady Oh said.

The Princes nodded.

“Lies. You are lying.” Hae Soo whispered, looking at the 4th Prince who turned around and smiled, “We promised not to lie to each other.” He said and left.

So hid his face in his hands, "You cannot be certain she will be there for you after what you said...." Baek ah looked worried for his elder brother,

"I can see that...."

 

 

Hae Soo collapsed on the ground, unable to control her tears.

‘Save Prince So and Prince Eun? How foolish of you Hae Soo... Now Prince Eun is dead and Prince So hates you...

Prince So hates me so much now... What should I do?’

Everyone looked pitifully at the court lady.

“If she chooses to stay beside him then she’ll have to go through a lot more.” Court Lady Oh smiled as she spoke. King Taejo looked down.

“What do you mean?” The 10th Prince asked,

“If the 4th Prince wishes to be king, he will have to marry a woman with a strong clan, wouldn’t he? It looks like Hae Soo has been disinherited by the Hae clan. The nobles would never accept her as Queen.” Prince So looked at unease at the thought.

Hae Soo wiped the tears from her eyes. Crying would not help her. She should do something to appease Prince So. He could not stay angry at her for the rest of their lives. She never wanted to be the reason why Prince So would be the tyrant king that history claimed him to be.

“Ty..tyrant king?!” The 4th Prince looked very upset at what was hearing,

King Taejo turned to look at the Astrologer, who smiled at the 4th Prince, “Why do you think Lady Soo was sent back in time?”

“To….turn the 4th Prince into a good king?” Lady Myung Hee asked,

“To turn the 4th Prince into a great king.” Ji Mong corrected.

She tried to stand up only to collapse again on the ground. Her knees were shaking from fear. She was terrified at what Prince So had told her.

“Abeoji why would you make eomma cry so much.” Seol glared at him,

“I’m doing it for her safety, Seol ah.” Prince So told his daughter.

What if Prince So could never forgive her?

Hae Soo cried. She could not bear Prince So hating her that much.

The 4th Prince sighed, looking miserable. Baek ah could not believe his brother and Hae Soo were hurting each other like this, something had to be done.

But how could she ask for forgiveness when she had deeply scarred Prince So?

She could not even forgive herself at what she had done to both Prince So and Prince Eun.

“It is not her fault though, it is understandable why she did what she did.” The 10th Prince said,

“You just died Eun-hyungnim, obviously she’ll feel guilty.” The 14th Prince pointed out.

She should have seen visions of her own foolishness... then maybe... Prince Eun survived this and Prince So would not hate her.

She held her shaking knees and broke down in tears.

“Hae Soo….” The 8th Princess looked worried for her cousin.

 

 

 

Wang So thought he could not feel anything anymore but pain as he was ascending Jimong's tower, he faltered and held on the staircase railing.

He thought he had already cried all the tears that he could cry but at that moment, his eyes were once again shedding tears.

“They both are hurting….” The 13th Prince looked upset.

His chest was terribly painful, and he hated it. He hated his tears. He hated everything.

She was the one thing pure in his life, she who changed everything for the better, she who brought him happiness, and today, he was forced to push her away and hurt her.

“A King must be willing to throw away anything and everything.” King Taejo told his 4th son,

“I do not wish to be king, pyeha.” So whispered.

‘Why must I always give up the things I like?’ he thought as tears fell from his eyes.

"So-hyungnim, what happened?" Baek-Ah asked, anxiously looking at Wang So.

"Nothing," Wang So answered but as he tried to walk, his knees weakened and he collapsed on the floor, crying.

Baek ah sighed, he could not help but feel upset seeing his brother crumble like this.

"Hyungnim..." Baek-Ah hurriedly knelt in front of him. "What is wrong with you?"

"I need to protect her, Baek-Ah," Wang So desperately said, grabbing his brother's arm. "Eun... Eun is dead because of Yo, he…he will go for her next and I can’t let her die too…." He wept.

“Thank you…” Lady Hae looked at the 4th Prince and bowed, So forced a smile out to his sister-in-law.

 

 

Baek-Ah stayed beside So even after he had calmed down.

"I will not go," he said when So was about to speak.

He was certain that his brother would shove him away again, but he could not leave his brother like that.

“Thank you Baek ah” So smiled at his younger brother, who smiled back at his elder brother, “I will always be by your side hyungnim.”

"I will listen to whatever it is that you want to say," Baek-Ah said but So did not say anything. "Hyungnim you mustn’t push her away like this..."

"She will foolishly stay by my side if I do not do this, I know Soo better than anyone else….," So cut him off.

"Hyungnim you cannot..."

"I must, Wang Yo will use her as bait to try to control me, I cannot afford that. I’d rather watch her live from far away than dead and close to me.” So’s voice broke on the word ‘dead’ as though he could not even think of the thought of Hae Soo dying.

“At least you’re being smart for a while.” The 3rd Prince smirked.

Baek-Ah finally listened to his brother since he could understand where his reasoning was coming from. He would not force him to not give Hae Soo up. Not now.

"Prince So, General Park wants to talk to you," Ji Mong said as he ascended the staircase and as both Baek-Ah and So got to their feet, General Park came.

"Ji Mong told me that you had finally decided to become king," the general said, surprising Baek-Ah.

So nodded and Baek-Ah's surprise turned into anxiety.

Queen Yoo looked confused, ‘Did I make a mistake pushing away So’

It was the opposite of the reaction in Ji Mong and General Park's eyes. They looked satisfied with what So had answered.

"Ji Mong has been saying this ever since you had been born, that you had the star of a king," General Park said and though Baek-Ah already heard rumors about, he was still surprised to hear General Park confirmed it.

“You have?” So turned to the astrologer, surprise etched on his face.

“Indeed, he has.” The Crown Prince answered.

If So-hyungnim had been born with such a star... then why was his life been so rough up until now?

"Your father believed in it too," General Park continued. "Therefore, he sent you to me. He wanted me to teach you martial arts and strengthen you."

"Star of a king?" So asked, filled with sarcasm. "I don't believe in those things. Still, I must become a king. I do not want to see another brother of mine die because of that seat. I will put a stop to that vicious cycle."

King Taejo proudly looked at his 4th son, “You must always be as righteous as you are right now.” He advised to his son,

“Yes pyeha.” So bowed to his father. While he was happy that his father seemed to be proud of him, he did not want the throne, he wanted a peaceful life with the woman he loved.

"Then I am with you, Prince So," General Park said. "I am pleased that you had finally decided to take that seat. Your father will also be happy with your decision. This is what he wanted for you."

The King nodded at the General’s words.

"I am on your side too," Ji Mong said. "Because I am certain that you will become a king."

Queen Yoo and 3rd Prince Wang Yo looked as though someone had slapped them.

"Me too," Baek-Ah said, surprising the general, the astronomer, and his brother. "I am always on your side, right?"

Baek-Ah was glad when he saw a small smile on his brother's face.

“It seems both of you become very close in the future,” Jung commented, as surprised as most people in the chamber at how close the two brothers seemed to be.

He was frightened with this decision, but he was also tired to see his brothers kill their own blood just to become king. He could not see anyone fitting to seat on the throne but So-hyungim. He has more heart than Wook, Won, Yo, and Jung.

 

 

 

Notes:

So, later on in the day, I might post up a new work, so make sure to go look at it, it's the result of the poll I had put up!

Chapter 14: Chapter Thirteen

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Chapter Thirteen

 

"Hyungnim, please be careful," Baek-Ah told So when General Park and Jimong had left.

"Are you not scared of me? I killed Eun and now I am going after the throne," So asked, looking a little hesitant.

“I will never be scared of you hyungnim.” Baek ah promised his 4th brother.

"I am not," Baek-Ah confidently answered. "You are the Fourth Prince. You should succeed Yo."

Yo scoffed at this.

"I will make him pay for what he did to Mu-hyungnim and to Eun," So said and his hesitation was replaced with anger.

“You must not let revenge overtake you, always think with a clear mind.” The Crown Prince advised.

"I also want the same thing," Baek-Ah agreed. "And I know you will do it properly. Just be careful. I don't want you to get hurt anymore."

"You should be careful. You might get hurt or killed because you choose to stick beside me. Do you really want to stick beside me? Are you really not scared?"

"I'm not," he said, without any hesitation. "You will not dissuade me, hyungnim. I might be weak, but I am loyal to you."

“You are a good brother Baek ah” the King smiled at his 13th son, who bowed in response.

So weakly smiled then said, "Thank you, Baek-Ah. You really are the only person I can trust."

 

 

King Jeongjong gathered everyone in the throne room but it was only Wang So who was kneeling in front of the king while the rest of the people were standing on the side of the aisle.

"Fourth Prince Wang So, a favored brother of mine, has executed the traitor Eun and his wife Park Soon Deok therefore, I am granting him ten thousand lots of land near Songak for farming and building a house. Also, as the life energy of Songak has been depleted, the capital will be moved to Seokyong. The Fourth Prince will be the overseer of the construction there, as my trusted subject."

“Favored brother?!” Queen Yoo turned to stare at her 2nd second.

Even though Wang So was hoping for that to happen, he was still surprised that Yo would favor him that much. But still, he was grateful for that favor. He would carefully use that against the king.

“Smart” the king chuckled.

"I will devote myself and repay your confidence, Your Majesty," Wang So said, bowing low to the king.

"You will be in charge of building the new castle?" General Park asked when they left the throne room and were standing on the king's courtyard. He had asked that question with mocking in his voice for all the ministers and Wook to hear. "You've become very rich, too." He looked at the ministers before continuing. "He got all of this for catching and killing my daughter and son-in-law." He glared back at Wang So. "I hope you live a long, long time."

Wang So was aware that this was only for a show, but it still hurts because there was truth in those words.

“I’m sorry, Your Highness.” General Park apologized, the 4th Prince smiled, “There is no need to apologize, Grand General.”

"Is he even a human being? It was his younger brother," one of the ministers said, looking at Wang So with contempt.

They all looked at him with the same expression, even Wook.

“You of all people do not have the right to judge him.” Lady Hae said, judging her husband.

Wang So could only smile with bitterness. It was like everything had been reset for him. People hated him and regarded him as a monster... again...

 

 

 

Before Wang So left the palace, Yo had called for him but for a long while, his older brother was only staring at him, as if wondering who it was standing in front of him.

It confused Wang So.

"Why did you call for me, Your Majesty?"

"I never expected that you would kill Eun," Yo said, still staring intently at Wang So. "Aside from Baek-Ah, Eun is the only brother that had been close to you... and you killed him. Why did you do that, So? Was it to protect Court Lady Hae Soo? Do you want me to clear her from the charges of hiding those traitors?"

Court Lady Oh turned to the king and muttered, “Your sons really are something.”

Wang So tried his best to control his emotions.

"I killed Eun to protect you, Your Majesty," Wang So lied hoping that Yo would believe it.

The 10th Prince rolled his eyes, “The only reason hyungnim killed me is because that was my dying wish.” The 13th Prince nodded in agreement.

"Then I can punish Court Lady Hae Soo?" he asked, testing his sincerity.

"You can do anything you want, Your Majesty. That woman lied to me. I can't trust her anymore." He forced himself to say,

"You've changed."

“You have changed Hyungnim” Jung retorted, Queen Yoo frowned.

"I already told you, Your Majesty, I will only change towards the person once they change towards me. Eun had no chance of surviving and I already told you that you should not make the other families fear and hate you. They can fear me and hate me all they want. I do not care what they think about me. I have a promise to keep. I promised Mu-hyungnim that I will protect my brothers. I cannot protect the dead, only the living hence, I will protect you, Your Majesty. And as for Hae Soo, she lied to me. I cannot forgive her for that."

“How can one lie like that?” Eun asked, surprised at what he was seeing.

“Experience at court helps you lie smoothly, 10th Prince.” The King said as the Crown Prince nodded.

"Is that the truth, So?" Yo asked, still doubting him.

"Doubt me all you want, Your Majesty," Wang So said. "I will leave now and help you move the capital to Seokyong."

He took a bow before leaving the room with a wicked smile.

He would make Yo experience what he did to Mu-hyungnim and to Eun. He would avenge his brothers.

Ji Mong and General Park smiled at the 4th Prince as the Crown Prince frowned.

 

 

 

The 14th Prince stood in front of the throne, staring at the 3rd King of Goryeo intently, anger clearly displayed on his face. Unable to hold himself back, he asked, “After spilling so much blood, are you not afraid?”

“You should be, kin-slaying is a crime that the heavens punish.” Choi Ji Mong said

The King looked as though he could care less as he answered, “It is difficult to sit on the throne without spilling the blood of a few. You should be careful, there is only so much I will let you get away with.”

“But that does not mean you kill your brothers, hyungnim!” The 14th Prince yelled, upset at what he was hearing.

Yo scoffed at what his younger brother was saying, “You have pampered him too much.” He told his mother.

“I will be traveling the borders and will not be coming to the palace,” Jung said,

“You do that. However, think of eomoni and avoid the front lines. Stay within the safety of your troops.” The King ordered.

“I have lived like a coward so many times, so I cannot do that, I will see just how long my lifeline is. I ought to pay for some of your crimes.” General Wang Jung said with a cold glare.

“Jung ah, you should not endanger yourself like that” Queen Yoo fretted.

The 14th Prince brought his hand forward and showed the two sticks which he held in his hand. The sticks looked like a part of an arrow.

“These are from Eun.” Prince Jung’s voice trembled as he placed the arrows and turned back and walked away from the courtroom.

“You have grown into a good man, Wang Jung” The King approved. Jung smiled.

 

 

 

"Soo, you don't look fine. Maybe you should rest today. I can talk to the king about it," Prince Jung said when he went to the Damiwon and asked for tea with her.

So frowned seeing Soo and Jung together and alone.

"Don't," Hae Soo quickly said. "I need to work. I need a distraction."

“She will have to get used to the death in the palace if she wishes to survive here.” Court Lady Oh said, Lady Hae looked upset at that.

Prince Jung sighed, "I will be traveling the borders and won't be returning for a long time. Will you be fine here?"

"Don't worry about me. I will be fine," Hae Soo said with a small smile. "You are the one who should be careful. It is dangerous on the borders, right?"

“She’s really cute” Jung muttered as he smiled at the screen. Baek ah glared at his younger brother.

"I'd rather face outlaws on the borders than stay here. I do not want to see Yo-hyungnim. I hate him for cornering Eun-hyungnim and Soon Deok-hyungsoo-nim."

"Just be careful, Prince Jung."

"I will," the Fourteenth Prince assured her. "Thank you, Soo-ya." He said as he surprised Soo with a hug, “Take care of yourself, alright?” he softly said as held her in his arms.  

“YAH! YOU CAN’T TOUCH HER LIKE THAT!” The 4th Prince yelled as he glared at the 14th Prince.

“She’s your hyungsoo-nim Jung ah, you can’t just hug her like that” Eun frowned.

Queen Hwangbo looked horrified at what she was seeing, “She is an unmarried woman, you cannot embrace her like that.”

Princess Yeon Hwa scoffed at what she was seeing. The 14th Prince ignored everyone and blushed.

Soo smiled, as she teased the prince, “Just because you’re my closest friend you let yourself take such liberties?” she looked up at the tall 14th Prince who teased her back, “Mind you, it was you who hugged me first.”

“She hugged him before?!” So yelped, sounding upset at that.

“Maybe it is a custom in the future? She is from 1000 years in the future, so we do not know how the world is then.” The 8th Princess offered,

“Indeed, friends often embrace each other in the future.” Choi Ji Mong cryptically said,

“How do you know…..” Baek ah wondered, confused as to how the astrologer knew about the future.

Soo glared as she hit him on the shoulder, “Yah! That was so long ago, I think around 4 years back.”

“So around now” The 8th Prince commented.

A younger-looking 14th Prince looked at a young Hae Soo and said, “You saved my arm, so I’ll remember that. Your life will be like my own life. Even if I have to die, I will save your life.

“You mustn’t make such promises Jung ah!” The Queen admonished her son, who smiled at his mother, “It is fine eomoni”

“This looks like the time Hae Soo saved Jung ah from having his hand cut off, isn’t it?” The Crown Prince asked,

“Seems like it.” Baek ah replied.

Lady Hae Soo looked really touched by what the young prince had smiled brightly, “Aigoo…aigoo…aigoo our youngest prince.” She said as she pulled the 14th Prince into a hug, who looked shocked at what she had done.

“How barbaric, the girl does not even know how to behave herself in front of royalty.” Yeon Hwa scoffed, but quickly turned quiet at the sight of Lady Hae and her mother’s glares.

She patted his back as she continued, “You are already so reliable and strong, you’ll be a great man soon.” She pulled back to smile at the prince but look confused at the blushing face of the 14th Prince. Realization dawned on her face as she took in what exactly she had done.

“She’s not wrong there, our brother does become a great man.” The Crown Prince chuckled.

“Oh!” she pushed the 14th Prince away and bowed as she sheepishly said, “I’m sorry.”

The 4th Prince and the 8th Prince both stared at Wang Jung and Hae Soo with unhidden jealousy and shock. The 14th Prince’s face resembled a tomato with how red it had become.

“Hyungnim you look so jealous.” Baek ah could not help but tease his elder brother, who glared at him, “Do you want to die?”

The 1st, 10th, 14th Princes laughed

“You reminded me of a little brother I have back home.” She tried to explain, the 8th Prince turned the other way knowing that she was younger than the 14th Prince.

“How old is the lady anyway?” Court Lady Oh asked the 8th Princess,

“She’s two years younger than the 13th Prince.” Lady Hae replied.

“It’s okay, Hae Soo…noonim?” Prince Jung eagerly asked with a glowing smile.

“If she’s two years younger than Baek ah-hyungnim, then she must be one year younger than me, how is she my noonim then?” Jung asked, perplexed at what he was hearing.

“Noonim?!” So incredulously asked as Wook stared at the youngest two disbelievingly.

“Oh and let me tell Baek ah-hyungnim that I’m your closest friend.” The 14th grinned brightly, as Soo pouted, “Both of you are my closest friends, I cannot choose one.”

“It is clear I am her favorite.” The 14th Prince boasted.

“It’s obvious that I am her favorite.”

“Baek ah and Jung, I think both of us know who her favorite is.” The Crown Prince pointed to the 4th Prince, who blushed as everyone turned to look at him.

Seol giggled and said, “You both do this all the time.”

The King raised an eyebrow, “Of course, it would be unwise of me to expect my youngest sons to have grown up in over 15 years.”

Everyone laughed as the mentioned princes flushed.

Soo giggled alongside Jung, relaxed for the time being.

 

 

Soo stared at the 13th Prince disbelievingly as he said, “So-hyungnim has already left for Seokyeong, he won’t return for a long time.”

Without paying heed to the Prince in front of her, Soo ran out of Damiwon to Lake Dongji.

“Didn’t she have some issue with her knee?” the 4th Prince asked out of concern,

“I think she does, she was limping a lot earlier,” Jung remembered.

Both the princes looked towards Lady Hae, who shook her head, “She does not have any issue with her legs.”

‘Surely, he will be there. Surely, he would not have left without even telling me.’ She thought as she reached the Lake and searched around for the 4th Prince.

“You should have told her hyungnim” Eun shook his head,

“It would be safer for her if it looked like So cut off all ties to her.” The Crown Prince said.

Tears welled up in her eyes as she could not find him anywhere. But her frustration soon turned into determination. “I will wait for you.” She whispered; her mind set.

“You are lucky to have found her.” Jung bitterly said,

“It is not luck that sent Lady Hae Soo to Prince Wang So, but fate. She completes Prince So's soul. She is the reason the 4th Prince will be able to fulfill his destiny.” Choi Ji Mong commented, surprising everyone present.

Yeon Hwa clenched her jaw as she resisted the urge to roll her eyes or say something. Wang So was supposed to be hers.

 

 

 

Hae Soo was silently crying in her chamber in the Damiwon, mourning the two people she had lost. The 4th Prince had left for Seokyeong and the 14th Prince for the border. She was all alone. She clutched onto her chest as her heart hurt.

“Does she have any ailment regarding her heart?” Concubine Oh curiously asked the 8th Princess who shook her head, “I..am not sure.” She admitted, seeing the stares at everyone around her, she added, “It has been long since we had Hae Soo have a proper checkup by a physician.”

The King shared a glance with the Senior Court Lady before he ordered, “As soon as this is over, Lady Hae Soo will meet the Royal Physician.”

Lady Hae Myung Hee bowed her head in gratitude.

A sudden knock interrupted her sobs, she got up and opened the door, ignoring how she looked like a mess with her swollen red eyes, unbound hair and white mourning clothes.

“Didn’t the king not allow mourning clothes?” Baek ah asked as he glared at Yo.

“What is it?” She hoarsely asked the royal guard who was standing outside her room.

“Pyeha has asked for chamomile tea, he is seated at the pavilion near Damiwon. You are ordered to bring it to him as soon as possible.” The guard said.

“She clearly needs rest.” Queen Hwangbo said as she saw Hae Soo struggle.

As much as she did not want to do anything but curl up and cry her heart out, she had to do her duty as head court lady of Damiwon.

“I will prepare the tea and bring it, you may leave.” She told the guard, who bowed and left.

She went back in and tied her hair up into a bun and secured it with a hairpin. She did not change her mourning clothes though. How dare he tell them not to mourn Eun and Seon Deok.

Eun smiled brightly at his future sister-in-law, “She seems amazing, I cannot wait to meet her!”

She left her chamber and prepared the tea the king had asked for and took her time doing it. Once she was done with the tea, she placed it on the tray and slowly went to the pavilion.

“This sounds as though it is going to end horribly,” Baek ah said, frowning at what he was seeing.

Notes:

So I was planning on updating earlier on because I had everything typed it out already and I just had to go through it one last time to review everything. but when I checked the other day, all of it was missing, so I ended up pushing this update for a while now. Sorry!

Chapter 15: Chapter Fourteen

Summary:

Yo and Soo fight, Soo deals with the aftermath of a fight with King Jeonjong

Chapter Text

Chapter Fourteen

 

 

Hae Soo was stared angrily at the king as she served him tea.

Court Lady Oh sighed.

"I have been wondering, Court Lady Hae Soo" the king began to say with an annoying smile. "Why did you choose Eun over So? I thought you only want what is best for him? That you want him to be happy? Why did you lie to him then?"

“He’s provoking her on purpose.” The Crown Prince said, shaking his head.

“I could just be curious you realize?” the 3rd Prince raised an eyebrow.

So worriedly watched on.

"I did not choose Prince Eun over Prince So," Hae Soo said, getting angrier. "I did what I did because I want to protect them from you."

“She is quite brave” the king commented,

Queen Hwangbo shook her head, “It is going to get her into a lot of trouble.”

"You talk without fear," the king said, amused rather than angry. "Is it because you still think that So will shield you?"

"No," Hae Soo said with a broken heart. "He hates me now. If you harm me, he will never care and because of that, I will say whatever it is that I want to say. Kill me if you want to, I do not care. You should not have done that to your brothers."

So controlled his tears as he watched on, he hoped that Yo would not accuse her of any crime.

“She speaks like a queen.” Eun said in awe, Jung looked towards his 10th brother and vigorously nodded, “I know right!”

“You do not fear for your life?” King Jeonjong raised an eyebrow, surprised by the lady’s boldness.

“I have lost everyone, everyone I cared for, everyone I loved, they are all gone…What do I have to live for?” her voice barely above the sound of a whisper, he could clearly see the tears shining in her eyes.

“Hae Soo…” Hae Myung Hee watched her daughter like-sister with pain. Wang So could not watch this.

“It is pitiful, I will not deny that. The 4th and the 8th Prince have both abandoned you, truly sorrowful.” He mocked the court lady in front of him, Soo turned to glare at him.

“This is all your fault...” she whispered, staring at the king in front of her fiercely.

“She is not wrong there,” Jung bitterly muttered as he glared at his elder brother.

“If you are referring to Eun and his warrior wife’s death, it had to be done. I cannot let Goryeo fall over brotherly affections. Although, I did not expect the dog to actually kill him.” The King laughed.

“IT HAD TO BE DONE?!” General Park roared as Prince So fiercely glared at the 3rd Prince.

“You have completely disappointed me Wang Yo.” The King shook his head.

The Crown Prince, 8th, 10th, 13th, and 14th Prince stared at their brother in unveiled disgust.

“How could you….they are your brothers!” Soo could not understand how he said those words with ease.

“And where were these brothers when I was chased like an animal for hunt?! Where was that dog?! He was the one who stabbed me!” he snarled, still bitter about what had happened over two years ago.     

“The 4th Prince you insult and degrade, he was the only one out of all your brothers who truly mourned your death! You do not know how much he suffered at the thought you being dead but I do!”  She could not help but scream at the man in front of her as she remembered how much the 4th Prince suffered.

Everyone was stunned by what they heard.

“She should know when to lie and when to not.” The 3rd Prince scoffs. Queen Yoo refuses to believe that dog would mourn for any of her sons.

Hae Soo saw the 4th Prince sitting near Lake Dongji and made her way to him, concern etched on her face as she walked over and sat next to the prince.

He looked at her and seeing his eyes filled with tears pained Hae Soo even more.

“I do not think I have ever seen you like this hyungnim….” Baek ah whispered,

“I have” Seol whispered back, Baek ah and So looked at the girl with matching confused expressions. “Abeoji always breaks down crying on eomoni’s birthday.”

"What’s the matter?" she softly asked.

"If I came to you, I did not think you would forgive me," he said with guilt and grief in his eyes. "but I thought you would understand.”

Hae Soo's chest tightened as she remembered those words. She had said those words to him when he was destroying those prayer stones at Prince Wook's residence.

“Why would you destroy the prayer stones?” Lady Hae looked puzzled.

"I..." he looked away from Hae Soo, ashamed as he confessed, "I stabbed my older brother..."

More tears fell from his eyes. He looked so shaken with what he had done.

“You…you…actually are crying….” Prince Yo stuttered, looking at his brother as though he had never seen him before.

Jung’s mother had always told him to beware of Wang So, of how he would never hesitate to kill him or Yo-hyungnim without any regret. But then how could she explain this, perhaps he should not let his mother’s thoughts cloud his view.

Hae Soo gently stroked Prince So's shoulder and that was when he had completely broken down. He trembled as he cried harder and Hae Soo could only pull him towards her and embrace him, letting him cry on her shoulder, slowly patting him as though reassuring him that she was still here, that she’ll take care of him.

“Eomma is really kind, isn’t she abeoji?” Seol sweetly asked her father, who smiled at her and nodded.

“It seems I will not regret betrothing Hae Soo to you, 4th Prince.” The King said.

Hae Soo's heart was breaking for Prince So as he felt the depth of his guilt and sorrow. Prince Yo had never been good to him, even once, yet he was crying for his third brother like this.

The scene was vivid in her mind, as though it had occurred only yesterday.

“You must think of the 4th Prince as someone great don’t you?” King Jeonjong chuckled, as though even the idea of that was ridiculous.

“He is one of the greatest men I’ve met, you aren’t even worthy of the dust on his shoes.” She sneered at the man in front of her.

The King glared at her, anger burning in his eyes as he pushed her back to the pillar behind her, his hand clamped around her neck, stopping her from taking a breath.

Wang So controlled his anger for his daughter who was sitting on his lap, he gave his daughter to Baek ah and told him to close her eyes and ears.

“How. dare. You?” So whispered, his voice sounding as though death herself was calling for the 3rd Prince.

‘This is how I die then’ she thought, as the king suffocated her, his actions filled with anger, “I am sure he showed you how great he was when he had you lying on your back on his bed, didn’t he?”

Anger burned like wildfire in his eyes as in a blink of an eye, So punched Wang Yo.

“Hyungnim move aside please,” Jung said silently, as he got up and punched his 3rd brother. Wang So turned to look at his younger brother in surprise, he never expected Jung would do such a thing.

“Is that truly Wang Jung?” Eun whispered, “I honestly do not know.” The 8th Prince replied, stupefied himself.

“You! Stay away from my son!” the 3rd Queen screeched at So before holding Jung’s hands, “Jung ah he is your brother!” The Queen looked at his elder brother before bitterly saying, “He is no brother of mine.” Shocking the room further.

Yo stood up and glared at Wang So before moving to slap him, but before anyone could say anything, the 3rd Prince’s hand was stopped midway in the air by his 14th brother.

“You deserved those punches.” Jung said as he glared at Yo, “HOW DARE YOU!” Wang Yo screamed as he moved to attack Jung but was stopped by 2 shouts,

“YO-YA STOP!”

“3RD PRINCE, YOU WILL MOVE BACK THIS INSTANCE!”

Queen Yoo and King Taejo’s voices interloped as they said the same thing.

“I…wish…you…had…died..” she choked out, she could feel herself slowly losing consciousness.

Jung held onto his 4th brother, “So-hyungnim, please return back to your seat.” Jung pleaded as So allowed himself to be pushed back to his seat.

He lets go of her and Soo leaned on the pillar behind her, massaging her neck and trying to breathe.

“Eun and that wife of his deserved to die, I have no regrets about that.” He proclaimed, smirking at the woman in front of him.

“Do you have no heart?” Park Soo Kyung asked the Prince, who replied while nursing a bleeding nose, “A heart is not needed when you rule a nation.”

“And that is why you do not deserve to be king, Prince Yo. To be a good king, you must have a good heart.” King Taejo coldly said.

Yo rolled his eyes.

“You should have died instead of the 10th Prince and Princess! The 4th Prince should not be suffering all alone in Seokyeong, it should be you! Why didn’t you just die that day?! You ruined everything good!” she screamed, tears freely flowing from her eyes.

“The girl is mourning but even then, she should watch her mouth near a king.” Queen Hwangbo disapproved.

Yo did not waste time slapping her before pulling her close, “You have been already accused of one count of regicide, you do not want to add attempted regicide to that, do you?” he whispered, his eyes were filled with silent rage, the rage he was controlled by a thread of his patience. He raised his hand to her cheek which he had slapped, he could already see the purple bruise that would decorate her face.

“YOU! STAY AWAY FROM HER!” The 4th Prince growled like the wolf he was called, scaring almost everyone in the room.

Baek ah gave Seol to Jung before holding the elder Prince back, “Hyungnim it has not happened yet, please stay calm” Prince Anjong pleaded.

He pulled the court lady to him by her waist and caressed her face, “Let me go! Don’t you dare touch me!” she struggled in his arms, he could not help but chuckle.

“HOW CAN I STAY CALM WHEN HE IS TOUCHING HER LIKE THAT?!” The 4th Prince roared in blind rage as Eun and the Crown Prince helped the 13th Prince calm Prince So down.

“So took my seat at the rain ritual, he took over my duties after the ritual, it was all mine! And the reason why he stole everything from me is because of you! Because you covered his scar up! Goryeo is mine!” he snarled at the woman in his arms,

“Since So took everything that was mine, is not right that I take something of his too, is it not right that I take you away from him?” he asked with a smirk, his rage-filled eyes staring at her as though he was already imagining hundred different ways in which he could kill her.

“How low will you go Yo?” The Crown Prince asked, staring at his younger brother in obvious disgust.

“THE 4TH PRINCE DID NOT STEAL ANYTHING FROM YOU! He is the one who got chosen for the rain ritual! He is the one the heavens chose! Not you! Goryeo belongs to him! It is HIS destiny to become king! You should have just died!” Hae Soo screamed as she thrashed around in the King’s arms.

The King’s hand hit Soo’s face as she fell down, the sound of the slap resonating across the pavilion.

The 1st, 10th, 13th and 14th Princes holding the 4th Prince back was the only reason the 3rd Prince was not dead.

“Leave. Leave before I kill you and So.” He silently growled, not looking at Soo.

Hae Soo crawled back and held onto the pillar near her and got up, rushing out of the pavilion as soon as she could.

King Jeonjong flicked his wrist and a royal guard immediately appeared in front of him, “Make sure Senior Court Lady Hae makes it back to the Damiwon.” He ordered, the guard bowed and turned to go tail the court lady.

“You are keeping her as protection for your throne….” The 8th Princess choked, as tears filled her eyes. Her Soo did not deserve to go through such torture.

 

 

 

 

Chae Ryung had finally finished stitching another knee brace for Lady Soo and had gone to deliver it to the lady, but after knocking on the door for a couple of times, she entered the Head Court Lady’s chambers to find it empty. She knew that the court lady walks around Damiwon if she could not sleep so Chae Ryung checked the area around the Damiwon but found it empty. 

After pacing around for a while, she decided to go call Gyobang’s Head Court Lady Woo Hee and the 13th Prince. The couple rushed into the Damiwon, expressions of worry plastered on their face.

“Thank God you both are here.” The 14th Prince muttered relieved.

“Did you properly check in and around the Damiwon?” Lady Woo Hee questioned, Chae Ryung nodded, “I checked twice, but I could not find her.”

“Where could she have gone…” The 13th Prince frustratedly muttered.

It was then that the three of them heard the doors to the Damiwon open, Chae Ryung and Baek ah rushed to the entrance, Woo Hee following behind.

Entering the Damiwon was a battered-looking Hae Soo. She had bruises all over her face and neck.

“Soo-ya…” the 4th Prince sounded as though someone was choking him.

The 14th Prince turned Seol’s face away from the curtain and towards him.

“Soo-ya!” “Lady Soo!” both Baek ah and Chae Ryung exclaimed as they ran forward to Hae Soo, worrying about what had happened.

Soo leaned on Chae Ryung while looking at the 13th Prince and whispered, “Do…not..tell…the 4th Prince..”

“Why wouldn’t you tell me?!” The 4th Prince asked, his voice laced with frustration.

“Lady Soo what happened to you?!” Chae Ryung worriedly asked, her voice filled with panic.

“The king…” was the last thing she said before passing out. ‘Yo-hyungnim wouldn’t…’ Baek ah thought fearfully as he took Soo into his arms and carried her to her room.

“He did” the Crown Prince shook his head in disapproval.

The 13th Prince laid Soo on her bed as Chae Ryung fussed over the lady, “Oh Lady Soo, what happened to you?” Chae Ryung whispered as she softly cried, unable to bear seeing her lady like this.

Wang So glared at the 3rd Prince once more.

Lady Woo Hee rushed into the Head Court Lady’s chamber, a basket full of medicines in her hand. “I ran to get ointment for her.” Woo Hee explained as she opened the basket and began to apply the herbal pastes on Soo’s face and neck, trying to calm the bruises. Chae Ryung helped the Gyobang Court Lady in her work.

“I need to tell So-hyungnim about this.” Baek ah muttered, running his hand through his hair.

Woo Hee turned back and looked at him as though he had gone insane, “Are you crazy?! Do you know what will happen if the 4th Prince finds out?!” she whisper-yelled before turning to Chae Ryung, “Finish applying this and take care of Lady Hae Soo until I am back.” Woo Hee ordered as she dragged Baek ah outside the room to a place where people will not be there, so she could speak freely.

“It seems all my brothers are running behind skirts,” Yo smirked as he looked down on all of them.

“Do not mind him Baek ah” the 4th Prince said.

“I told hyungnim I’ll tell him about Soo, how she is doing and if she is fine. So how can I not tell him this?” Baek ah frowned.

“This is so adorable, I never knew hyungnim could be so caring.” The 10th Prince cooed.

Woo Hee sighed, “You forget that this is the same Wang So who was ready to go to war for her so many times. Do you not remember the time she almost married King Taejo? The time when the 4th Prince threw everything aside and put himself in danger by standing with Soo? If he finds out about how Yo treated her today, he will march onto the palace in a week’s time. Do you think your brother is ready to take the throne? He is not, he needs at least another year to solidify his power. Soo knows how reckless your brother can be when it comes to her, which is probably why she told us not to tell him.” Woo Hee explained with frustration evident on her face.

“Soo almost married Pyeha?” Lady Hae Myung Hee looked shocked at that development.

“It was probably to tie your clan to the throne.” The 8th Princess’ mother-in-law replied.

“You endangered your life for…a girl?” Yo chuckled.

“You went against abeoji?!” The 8th Prince could not believe what he was hearing.

“Love makes you brave.” King Taejo told, smiling at his son. The 4th Prince bowed his head, as though to apologize, “You need not apologize, my son. I was like that once too. Going against the entire world to protect the woman I love.” The king chuckled,

All of his sons looked surprised to hear that the king loved a woman, Court Lady Oh stared at her king, she did not expect him to say such a thing.

Queen Sinmyeongsunseong looked upset at what the king had said.

The 13th Prince rubbed his face, “How do you kno- what else do I do then?! So-hyungnim is my dearest brother but Soo-ya is my closest friend. I cannot let either of them get hurt.” The Silla royal looked beyond frustrated.

“Blood above everything, 13th Prince.” Queen Hwangbo said, as though helping him make a choice.

So chuckled as he said, “I doubt that, my blood threw me to the wolves even though I did not commit any crime.”  

Queen Yoo looked the other way.

“Soo-ya can handle herself, besides, we will be there to protect her, won’t we?” The Hubaekje Princess softly asked, Baek ah pulled her into an embrace, ‘I am sorry hyungnim’ he thought.

Wang So glared at his favorite brother, “How can you not tell me?!”

Chapter 16: Chapter Fifteen

Summary:

Soo misses Court Lady Oh, Soo and Yo face-off again

Chapter Text

Chapter 15

 

“Court Lady Oh was right,” Hae Soo whispered, looking blank as Woo Hee tended to her the next day morning.

The King smiled, “She almost always is.”

“Soo-ya do not stress yourself by thinking of her, rest please.” Woo Hee softly said as she brought a bowl full of soup to the Court Lady.

“Why would Hae Soo get stressed thinking of Court Lady Oh?” The 10th Prince wondered. Everyone around them also looked confused.

Soo did not take it from the Hubaekje Princess’s hands, she was thinking of times long ago, “She said I will not survive, stuck in between the princes. She was right.”

“Of course.” The court lady muttered.

Woo Hee stood up from where she was sitting on the ground and sat next to her friend, taking her hands in her own. “Court Lady Oh believed you would survive. She wanted you to live happily and peacefully, away from the palace.” She said staring at the younger woman.

“It seems you and Lady Hae Soo are close.” King Taejo commented.

“It is probably because of how they both worked at the Damiwon together. Hae Soo is Court Lady Oh’s successor after all.” The Crown Prince said. Choi Ji Mong’s eyes sparkled as though he knew something that everyone else did not.

“I have failed her, haven’t I?” Soo asked, tears filled her eyes as she thought of Court Lady Oh. “She was practically my mother. She treated me as though I was her daughter, of her blood. The 4th Prince would even joke about how similar the both of us looked. I called her eomma before she died….before she sacrificed herself for me….” Tears flew from her eyes as she rested her head on Woo Hee’s shoulder. It was only then that the Hubaekje Princess understood the sudden remembrance of Court Lady Oh.

Silence filled the room.

Court Lady Oh had felt as though she wanted to protect this girl ever since she saw her. Perhaps it was a hint for their future. “She….she called me…..eomma?” Oh Soo Yeon whispered, a small smile on her face that she had a daughter, if not by blood then by name.

“You die because of her.” King Taejo said with a fearful look in his eyes, surprising the people sitting next to him. Never would they have thought that King Taejo, General Wang Geon, would be scared of anything.

“Now that I notice it, you both really do look alike,” Eun said as he stared at Hae Soo and the present court lady.

“It seems both father and son have cheap taste then.” Queen Yoo scoffed, glaring at the screen.

‘She’s hurting and is longing for the comfort of a mother’

So frowned, he did not like how she did not have the comfort of a mother, especially in times like this where she is suffering a lot. He remembered the times where he himself suffered due to the Kangs and had desperately wished that his mother was there nearby.

Woo Hee made Hae Soo move and rest on the bed, as she softly whispered to the Damiwon Court Lady, “You need to rest right now. Do not stress yourself like this.” Hae Soo weakly nodded and moved to sleep on the bed as the Gyobang Court Lady pulled a blanket over her.

Seol whimpered seeing her mother look so tired and distraught, the 4th Prince noticed this and called out, “Seol-ah, come to abeoji.” he went on his knees and Prince So’s firstborn got off his 14th brother’s lap and ran towards him.

Despite seeing the 4th Prince being affectionate time and time again, everyone could not help but be surprised when the 4th Prince kneeled on the floor for his daughter. It was an act even the 3rd or the Crown Prince would not do.

 

 

 

 

Soo had been resting the entire day, tired from the emotional trauma that the king had put her through the previous night. Chae Ryung had made her soup. It was when she was having her soup with Chae Ryung that one of the senior court ladies at Damiwon burst into her room, in a fashion that was far from appropriate.

Concubine Oh frowned, “They are women I promoted. This is far from proper.”

“What is this? I was told that all of you were informed about my absence?” Soo asked, her voice stern as she disapprovingly looked at the court ladies in front of her.

“It is good that she is scolding them now. It is only then will they learn.” The Court lady approvingly said.

“Court Lady Hae, forgive us but we rushed in here because….because…..” The first court lady turned to look at the other and they both quickly said at the same time, “The king is forcing himself on one of the lower-ranked court ladies.”

“WHAT?!” Court Lady Oh stood up in anger, she turned to look at the 3rd Prince and pointed at him, “You…you…know your manners and place! How dare you even try to….” King Taejo stood up and pulled Concubine Oh to her seat, she was shaking with her anger.

“WHAT?” Hae Soo stood up immediately, staring at them in shock. Both of them had their bowed as the second court lady said, “We sent one of the court ladies to serve the King tea and biscuits. The king wished that….only you serve him. After learning that you were sick…he…he….” Seeing the court lady could not go further, Court Lady Hae raised a hand, signaling the woman to stop speaking.

“You shouldn’t hurt other innocent people in your fight with So-hyungnim.” Wang Jung airily said.

Hae Soo turned to Chae Ryung, “I am going to the King’s Quarters.” She said as she picked up a scarf lying nearby and wrapped it around herself and moved out, “You both, follow me.” She commanded the other higher-ranked court ladies, who bowed and followed their lady.

Lady Hae Myung Hee looked concerned, “She has not recovered yet.”

“That woman is under her protection; she is simply fulfilling her duties as Head Court Lady of Damiwon.” Concubine Oh sadly said.

“Still, her health comes first, she should not be risking her life for the sake of others.” The 4th Prince said, concern clearly displayed all over his face.

Hae Soo walked as fast as she could, resisting the urge to run. Royal Guards stood outside Cheondeokjeon. They immediately bowed on seeing her. Despite only being a noble turned court lady, she had the favor of the kings before King Jeonjong. The 1st King had treated her as a daughter (before he abandoned her to the wolves like he had with his 4th son) and she was the beloved younger sister (in all but blood and name) of the 2nd King. As such, she was given quite a bit of respect within the palace.

Princess Yeon Hwa could not control her anger. How dare this girl have everything she wanted. She would make sure she destroyed her.

The Head of the Royal Guards stood outside the entrance doors of the King’s Quarter, his face solemn. “Lady Soo, it will not be wise to enter.” He advised. He was one of the men who had developed a quick friendship with the 4th Prince when he had been sent to Later Jin alongside Prince So. The friendship further blossomed during the reign of King Hyejong. He was trying to protect her for the 4th Prince’s sake. ‘Do you really expect me to believe that you have forsaken me when you have so many people positioned around me for my protection’ she thought.

“She isn’t a fool. What do you expect hyungnim?” Eun chuckled despite the tense mood in the room. So forced a smile out.

“Wait. Why was So-hyungnim sent to Later Jin?” Jung asked.

“It is probably because he defied father or something of that sort. Perhaps the things Princess Woo Hee was speaking of earlier.” The Crown Prince replied.

She smiled at the man before saying, “I cannot abandon the people who have come to me protection. Please let me enter.” The man had no choice but to move aside, knowing that the Head Court Lady’s stubbornness rivaled that of the 4th Prince.

Hae Soo pushed open the doors to the Courtroom and found the King sitting on the throne and a court lady near him, her hair mussed up and tear tracks evident on her face. She looked up and hope erupted in her eyes. The girl forgot decorum and ran to Soo, “Court Lady Hae!” she exclaimed in relief as tears fell from her eyes.

“Take care of her.” Hae Soo instructed the court ladies behind her as she looked up at the King, who only smirked at her, “I was expecting your arrival, Lady Hae Soo.”

“You know Soo would come rushing in if you tried to harm any of the court ladies.” Jung slowly said, and the 3rd Prince chuckled.

Hae Soo prostrated herself in front of the king, shocking the court ladies in the room, who knew about their court lady’s weak knees. Hae Soo stayed on her knees as she looked up at King Jeonjong, “Forgive me for my insolence but Damiwon Court Ladies are not for the king’s entertainment. We are palace women, Pyeha.” She stated, her eyes burning with anger.

“Exactly.” Court Lady Oh firmly said. She turned to glare at her love’s third wife, who smirked back at her.

“Then answer me this, Court Lady Hae, aren’t all the women who work in the palace belongings of the king?” Wang Yo asked, chuckling at his brother’s lover.

“Where is he going with this….” Eun wondered, but realization had hit the rest of the brothers who fiercely glared at the 3rd Prince.

“I am not wrong.” He said and leaned back on his seat.

“Yes, they are Pyeha.” Soo gritted out, resisting the urge to glare at the king.

“Then you belong to me, don’t you?” Jeonjong asked, smirking. The Court ladies stared at Soo’s back, fear radiating from them.

“YOU DISGUSTING LITTLE-” So began to scream as he set Seol down from his lap. He moved to punch his elder brother again when the 13th and 14th Prince held him back, “Hyungnim please calm down!” Jung pleaded.

Lady Hae turned to look at her niece, Princess Seol, who she thought would be scared of what she was seeing, but instead, the girl was fiercely glaring at the 3rd Prince.

The Grand General who also noticed the glaring 4-year-old could not help but mutter, “Oh she’s the 4th Prince’s daughter alright.”

The 13th and 14th Princes forced the 4th Prince to his seat.

Soo held her head up as she looked at the king in the eye and said, “I belong to the 4th Prince. First King of Goryeo, King Taejo gave me to the 4th Prince. All the court ladies in the Damiwon maybe the King’s women but I was given to the 4th Prince Wang So. I am the 4th Prince’s woman.”

Wang So could feel the blood rush to his cheeks as his face turned a deep shade of red. He felt warm as he thought ‘She called herself my woman’. Despite the worry he felt for Hae Soo, he could not control the smile that erupted on his face.

The women in the room stood stunned at what Hae Soo proclaimed.

The Crown Prince and the 13th Prince sent So suggestive looks which he ignored.

The King laughed loudly, “She’d make a great queen, this girl.”

The court ladies standing behind Court Lady Hae stared at her in a mix of awe and shock. The senior court ladies shared a glance, only one thought running through their mind, ‘She is truly is Court Lady Oh’s successor’ It was truly a surprise that Lady Hae Soo was not the blood daughter of Court Lady Oh.

“Even I am surprised she isn’t your daughter. You must have had a huge influence on the girl.” King Taejo told Court Lady Oh. The court lady stared at the girl with pride.

The King glared ferociously at her for her impudence. She glared back equally. Staring hardly at the highest court lady of the Damiwon, the 3rd King of Goryeo announced, “It is settled, Court Lady Hae will be the only one to serve me. If another court lady comes instead of Court Lady Hae, we will see a repeat of today.”

The dreamy smile on the 4th Prince’s face turned into a glare as he heard how his brother said the word ‘serve’.

“Yes, Pyeha.” The court ladies bowed, their bodies shaking with fear. Hae Soo let her head touch the ground as she took a breath in, her knees aching as she felt lightheaded. 

“You all may leave, apart from Court Lady Hae.” Wang Yo said. The court ladies looked at her worriedly, she smiled at them reassuringly and mouthed ‘I can take care of myself’ The court ladies bowed to the King on the grand throne and the lady on her knees before leaving.

Lady Hae glared at the 3rd Prince. The man was really foul. She knew how fond his wife, the 3rd Princess Park Mun Seong was of him, and this is how he was repaying her.

“Rise.” The King ordered and Soo stood up on her feet, resisting the urge to massage her aching knees. King Jeonjong got up from the throne and stood right in front of her.

“You are quite a brave thing, aren’t you? Coming to the rescue of an innocent court lady from the evil king and sacrificing yourself in her place. How adorable.” The King commented, staring at her intently before continuing, “I heard you had fallen ill.” He noticed her pale skin and sickly pallor.

“I wonder why” the 10th Prince sarcastically said, as he glared at his elder brother, who scoffed at Eun’s antics.

“I still am ill Pyeha. My temperature has risen due to the strain I have put my body through.” She said in the monotone voice of a court lady.

Yo pulled her to him and said, “Did I trouble you too much last night? Or was it the deaths of Eun and his wife? Or perhaps the 4th Prince abandoning you? Do tell me, I am very curious.” The King laughed, she tried pushing him away, but it did not work. It was obvious that he was far stronger than her.

“You are lucky this is the future and you have a chance to change your actions. If not, I would have chopped your hands-off a long time ago.” The Wolfdog of Shinju threatened Wang Yo in a silent but scary tone.

“I did not expect you to call yourself the 4th Prince’s woman so openly. Especially considering how he abandoned you here in Songak.” He darkly chuckled, she could sense that he was angry about what she had done.

Wang So winced.

“It is an honor the late King Taejo had bestowed upon on me, I was simply reminding you of that Pyeha.” Hae Soo said as she tried to break free. Yo held on to her tightly and moved to kiss her when she whispered, “Are you so jealous of your brother that you’re willing to touch the woman who was on her back in his bed?” Soo spat the very same words he had told her at the pavilion back to him.

So looked upset at that, “She’s just trying to protect herself.” Baek ah said, trying to ease his hyungnim.

“She’s brave, really brave.” Grand General Park said. ‘A perfect fit for the 4th Prince’ he thought. King Taejo and the Crown Prince nodded in agreement.

Yo released his tight hold on her and glared at her, raising his hand to slap her when she said, “You cannot touch me Pyeha.” This time, it was Hae Soo who was smirking and not Wang Yo. “You may hurt me, but you’ll never be able to own me. Everyone in this palace knows how I almost got married to the 4th Prince. Everyone knows that it was King Taejo who rewarded the 4th Prince after the rain ritual by sending me into his service. Everyone knows how King Hyejong approved and encouraged my marriage to the 4th Prince. By touching me indecently like you try to, you besmirch the name and prestige of your clan and father. Especially considering that Prince Wang So is your full brother.” Hae Soo ended, knowing she had the upper hand at the moment.

Everyone was stunned at what they had seen and heard.

“If this her when she is sick, imagine how clever she can be when she’s in perfect health.” The Crown Prince commented.

“She is meant to be a Queen.” Wang Yo muttered to his mother, who nodded in agreement.

“This girl….she is something else entirely.” The King said, impressed at Hae Soo. He looked at Court Lady Oh and smiled, “As always, your choice is excellent.” He said. Court Lady Oh bowed in gratitude. She felt strangely proud and protective of this girl, this girl who she had never even seen in her life.

“Ji Mong, are all women from the future like her?” Eun curiously asked, all the princes leaned in, wondering the same thing.

Seol looked upset at that, “My eomma is special.” She muttered. The 4th Prince sweetly smiled at his daughter as he agreed with what she had said, “Your eomma is very special.”

Seol smiled brightly at that.

“Lady Hae Soo is different even in her time. Although, women of the 21st Century are more strong, witty, and powerful.” The Royal Astrologer said.

“Powerful?” Both Queen Yoo and Princess Hwangbo asked at the same time. Ji Mong nodded.

The king resisted the urge to kill the girl in front of him and instead said, “You are lucky I am being benevolent tonight. I want my tea in the King’s chambers as soon as I am awake.” Jeonjong flicked his wrist as to dismiss her and Soo left the courtroom, too tired to even bow.

A weary smile appeared on her face as she left the King’s Quarters. It was when she exited that she felt a stab of dizziness and she felt herself falling on the stairs. She could distinctly hear the 4th Prince’s friend’s voice screaming her name as everything went dark.

“She has strained her body too much, it is taking a toll on her and her heart, if I am not wrong.” Court Lady Oh said, she looked upset that the girl was sick.

The 4th Prince looked really worried, Seol looked up at her father and asked, “Eomma will be fine, right abeoji?” She asked. Despite being tensed himself, he looked at his daughter and smiled, “Don’t worry, eomma will be completely fine.” So whispered reassuringly to Seol as he kissed her forehead.

Suddenly, a strange glow filled the room, the last time it appeared, Prince So’s daughter had arrived. Everyone watched on curiously, wondering who was coming this time.

“The person who will be arriving soon is a woman who changed Goryeo’s fate. She is a key reason along King Gwangjong’s great policies as to the smooth integration of Hubaekje into Goryeo. As such, treat her with respect with regards to her station.” The ethereal voice announced.

A plump woman walked out of the glow, her hair tied up with a hairpin, like a married woman. She wore a pearl white hanbok, she looked regal and beautiful. Her face stained with tears.

Everyone looked stunned with her appearance, but she had eyes only for one person.

 

 

Chapter 17: Chapter Sixteen

Summary:

Baek ah suffers as Woo Hee and Hae Soo get wasted.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Chapter Seventeen

 

 

Everyone looked stunned with her appearance, but the Princess of Hubaekje had eyes only for one person in the room.

“Baek ah….” She whispered as tears stained her cheeks once more as she ran to hug him. Baek ah got up from his seat and let the woman hug him.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry.” She constantly repeated as she broke down in sobs. The 13th Prince could not help but hug her as he patted her back. He was confused as to why she was crying but comforted her anyway. He slowly patted her back. “It’s alright.” He soothed her, holding her in his arms.

“I had to die. Only then would Goryeo and Hubaekje be one. I am sorry I had to let go of you. It was my destiny to unite both the kingdoms in this way.” she choked the words out as he froze at what he heard.

He pulled back and stuttered, “You..you..die?” she looked at him confused before she looked at everyone around. She pointed at the 4th Prince, “Pyeha….Why are you wearing that mask? Where am I?” she looked confused and at the verge of a panic attack. It was then that a letter fell down. The Hubaekje Princess opened the letter and read it’s contents. She looked up at the 13th Prince and nervously asked, “So…you do not know me?”

Baek ah looked and felt awkward as he said, “No…I do not….” Looking at how her face fell at that, he quickly added, “But I have seen that in the future you mean a great deal to me, that you’re the woman I love.” He sweetly smiled at Woo Hee and held his hand out, willing her to take it. Princess Woo Hee took his hand and smiled back. Baek ah’s seat automatically elongated, making sure there was enough space for both of them. The couple sat down together, soft smiles on their faces.

After Myung Hee’s death, Baek ah and Soo used to drink every night. It had been comforting, to know that someone else was mourning her as much as him. So he thought that drinking with Hae Soo again would be comforting for her, considering how King Jeonjong sought to trouble Soo because of her relationship with So-hyungnim, and how she was feeling lonely. He most certainly did not expect this when he invited Woo Hee along.

Princess Yeon Hwa, Queen Hwangbo, Court Lady Oh, and 8th Princess Hae Myung Hee stared at Baek ah in horror, “You used to drink with an unmarried noble girl?!” Court Lady asked.

“Technically, she’s like my hyungsoo-nim isn’t she?” Baek ah offered, he could hear Woo Hee control her laughter.

“You got lucky with Baek ah, Woo Hee-ya.” Soo slurred, holding onto a drunk Woo Hee as she spoke, “He must have serenaded you with music, didn’t he?” she asked, drunkenly chuckling at the thought.

Everyone turned to look at the 13th Prince and his lover. Woo Hee stared at the curtain in horror.

“Oh god, not this.” She muttered, hiding her face in her hands.

“Do you serenade your lovers with your music?” Prince Jung curiously asked but immediately turned quiet when Baek ah glared at him.

Woo Hee looked at Soo in surprise, “How…how did you know?!”

“Ah so you do.” The 4th Prince said and winked at the 14th Prince. Both the brothers laughed at the 13th Prince’s expense, who’s face was slowly turning into a beautiful shade of red.

Soo had a smug look on her face as she said, “Because…that’s the only thing the 13th Prince knows how to do….” Woo Hee giggled at that, her face flushed red as she whispered, or at least thought she whispered, “Trust me Soo-ya, he knows far more than that.”

“Oh by the heavens.” All the Princes broke out laughing as the 13th Prince joined Woo Hee in hiding his face in his hands.

“Aren’t you from the Hubaekje Royal Family?” Princess Yeon Hwa asked, shocked at the princess’s language.

“I…I was drunk…truth be told I do not even remember the events of this night. I just remember waking up horribly hungover the next day.” Woo Hee admitted, her cheeks were red in embarrassment.

Woo Hee winked at Hae Soo who covered her mouth with her hand in disbelief before giggling and bitterly told Woo Hee, “I do not even know if the 4th Prince is good at that or not.” Baek ah stared at the woman who was his sister-in-law in all but name, horror etched on his face.

So suddenly stopped laughing, as his brothers with the exception of Baek ah continued laughing.

“Baek ah looks so horrified,” Eun said amidst him laughing. He was holding onto his stomach and laughing.

“It seems the 3rd Prince was wrong about Lady Hae Soo sharing her bed with another man before wedlock.” Queen Hwangbo said, Lady Hae thanked the gods.

‘No, no, no, I refuse to hear what hyungnim what does with Hae Soo, absolutely not,’ he thought as he moved to interrupt to Soo, but before he could do anything, Soo chugged the alcohol from her cup.

She looked at Woo Hee and sadly proclaimed, “At least you had Baek ah serenade you with music. Do you know what the 4th Prince used to do?” Soo moved off Woo Hee’s shoulder and sat up straight before covering the left side of her face with her hand and growled in a deep voice, pretending to be the 4th Prince, “Do you want to die?”

“Oh Buddha” So whispered as he blushed in embarrassment.

“Trust So-hyungnim to do that.” Prince Jung and Prince Eun said at the same time and grinned brightly.

The Crown Prince encouragingly smiled at his brother and smiled, holding in his laughter as he said, “You can come to me on advice on women. I have a wife and two daughters after all.” King Taejo and Grand General Park burst out laughing at that. The 4th Prince looked like he wanted to die in embarrassment.

Baek ah could not help but laugh at that, “Really? Hyungnim told you that?!” He found it hard to believe that So-hyungnim would ever say something like that to Hae Soo, considering how much he adored and cherished her.

“I have never seen a man love a woman so much like the 4th Prince.” Woo Hee said with a smile as she bowed at the king she had accepted for her people.

“Not even me?” Baek ah asked,

“Not even you.” Woo Hee replied, mock glaring at him.

“Not once or twice, he said it so many times. So many death threats. He even held a sword to my neck!” she shook her head in sadness. Woo Hee patted Soo’s shoulder as though comforting her for how she suffered.

“You really need help with women hyungnim, how could you hold a sword to her neck- it’s a surprise she didn’t run away,” Jung said, but shut up when he saw the 4th Prince glaring at him.

A masked man was holding his sword to a younger-looking Hae Soo’s neck as she softly whimpered. The 4th Prince dressed in what looked to be the ceremonial clothes for the Exorcism rite, stood in front of them.

“This was supposed to happen tomorrow, judging by So’s attire,” Yo said as he watched the scene.

“Kill her.” The 4th Prince said with a blank look on his face. Soo’s eyes widened in horror at what he had said.

“Hyungsoo-nim wasn’t lying huh,” Eun said as he shook his head.

“I told you to kill her.” He repeated. Prince So watched on as the man who was holding Hae Soo captive did not do as he said. The hesitation was clear in his eyes as he looked at his hostage.

Woo Hee looked at the screen and back at the 4th Prince next to the seat she shared with the 13th Prince.

“I cannot believe this is you.” She admitted as stared at him in shock.

“It’s just, you’ve always risked your life for Hae Soo. You even married-“ Woo Hee cut herself off and pressed her hand over her mouth as she realized what she almost said.

“Who? Who did I marry?” So asked Woo Hee, but it was Seol who replied, “Apart from eomma, you have two other wives abeoji. Second Queen GyeongHwa and Third Queen Daemok.”

“Who is the third Queen?” Crown Prince Moo asked, Seol shrugged.

 “If you won’t do it, should I?” The 4th Prince smirked as he raised his sword, Soo fearfully looked at the sword as she whimpered loudly at the close proximity of two swords near her.

Lady Hae admonished the 4th Prince, “You could have been a bit kinder.”

The 4th Prince moved forward, and the masked man moved backward, still holding Hae Soo captive.

The masked man held the sword tightly to Soo’s neck, so tight that he made a cut on her, so deep that it was bleeding. For a second, Wang So looked worried before looking impassive again.

“Oh god…that could scar.” Lady Hae worried, “Do not worry. It does not.” Woo Hee reassured the woman who she recognized to be Soo’s unnie judging by Baek ah’s drawings of her that she had seen.

“Please….save me.” Hae Soo stuttered, her eyes filled with fear as she continued to whisper, “I will really die if you do this.”

“Oh god, the poor thing.” Court Lady Oh whispered.

Wang So ignored Hae Soo’s words and spoke to the man in front of him, “I do not care what you do to that girl. Stop with the useless acts and tell me who is behind it all.” The smirk on the 4th Prince’s face widened. Soo stared at the man in front of her in horror.

“How could you say that even when eomma was so scared?” Seol glared at her father who winced seeing the glare on his daughter’s face.

The masked man's eyes moved between Hae Soo and Wang So before he lowered the sword from Soo’s neck. Soo took this as a chance to free herself and bit the man’s hand and pushed him away as she stumbled back and fell to the ground. So looked at her, furious with what she had done. So and the man raised their swords but before they could do anything a dagger hit the man in his forehead, immediately killing him.

“Wow,” Jung said, looking impressed at how quickly Soo acted to save herself.

“That’s the Hae Soo I know.” Woo Hee proudly said.

“I even broke down crying once because of him, you should have seen the 8th Prince’s face, he looked so confused and uncomfortable.” She giggled and Woo Hee giggled with her.

“This is amazing entertainment,” Eun exclaimed in joy as all the princes except Wook and So nodded in agreement.

A furious 4th Prince marched away as Hae Soo fell to the ground due to exhaustion. The 8th Prince kept an eye on her from nearby.

Wook picked his sword from the ground and turned back to look at Hae Soo, “It’s done now, let’s go.” He said and waited for Hae Soo to get up and join him, instead she remained sitting on the ground.

Her lips trembled as she began crying, everything that had happened earlier hitting her hard, she raised her hand to her eyes to wipe off her tears as she continued to cry, the 8th Prince looked extremely uncomfortable with his wife’s cousin crying in the middle of a forest.

“Wook-hyungnim looks so awkward,” Jung said as he laughed at his elder brother.

“He’s always saying he’ll kill me.” She wailed, the tears flowing from her eyes could not be stopped as she continued, “Every time I see him, he says that he’s going to kill me. I was only going to return something that he left behind.” She continued to cry.

So hid his face in his hands, as his father, mentor, the royal astrologer, and all his brothers began laughing again.

“You’ve traumatized the poor girl.” The Crown Prince said as he tried to control his laughter.

Wang Wook slowly moved towards the crying girl and patted her on her back, “Soo-ya, it’s going to be fine.” He tried comforting her, not knowing what to say. Soo pulled the end of his hanbok and he tumbled down to the ground beside her, “Oh my” he muttered and looked up at Soo.

Lady Hae giggled at the sight of the 8th Prince looking distraught and on his knees.

“What if he really kills me? He told that man to kill me before, too. He just said to kill me,” Soo continued to panic amidst her tears. Wook looked behind, as though praying for a savior to rescue him right now.

“This is absolutely hilarious,” Eun said as he held onto the 8th Prince for support as he continued to laugh.

“Wook-hyungnim…” Jung could not even say what he wished to as he continued to laugh.

“He must have no blood or tears at all.” She continued to rant. Wook did not understand how a person could cry and rant at the same time.

“She is so different from the Hae Soo I know, our Hae Soo can’t stop singing Pyeha’s praises.” Woo Hee grinned brightly before realization hit her and she apologetically looked at the 4th Prince, “I’m sorry, I’m just used to calling you Pyeha.”

Queen Yoo glared at the woman. King Taejo looked at her and reassuringly said, “In your time, he is your king, it is fine for you to keep calling him that.” She politely smiled at King Taejo.

“What did I ever do wrong?” She wailed as she moved to the ground, Wook moved with her, he tried hiding his amusement and controlled the smile on his face as Soo tried to wipe her tears away.

“Even you’re laughing!” The 10th, 13th, and 14th Prince exclaimed as the 8th Prince grinned.

“This is like girls’ night.” Soo brightly grinned, her cheeks flushed red because of the alcohol, Woo Hee sent her a confused look, Soo continued, “It’s when all your female friends spend the night talking about everyone and everything.”

Baek ah looked confused as he said, “But I am here….” Woo Hee and Hae Soo looked at him and said at the time, “You are part of the girls, Baek ah-nim.”

“They’re not wrong.” So said as he grinned at his favorite brother, who whined, “Hyungnim not you too!”

Woo Hee observed the 13th Prince for a while before exclaiming, “He’s like a flower! He sings, dances and looks pretty.” Soo looked at Woo Hee and nodded in agreement. They both looked at the 13th Prince and broke out laughing. They laughed so much that they had to hold each other while trying to breathe properly and stop laughing. Baek ah could not believe the women in front of him, ‘Remind me not to get these two drunk together’ he thought.

“I understand why they said that.” Jung tried to seriously say but as soon as he made eye contact with the 10th Prince, both of them burst out laughing, picturing their 13th brother as a dancing flower.

“I do not about wolf or dog, but the 4th Prince is like a puppy. He’s so cute and adorable.” Soo cooed as she pulled Woo Hee’s cheeks to prove her point. Woo Hee poured herself and Hae Soo another cup of alcohol before Baek ah could take it away.

“Pu….puppy….hyungsoo-nim is amazing!” Eun grinned brightly.

“Why would she say that….” So groaned as Baek ah nudged him, “What goes around, comes around hyungnim.” He innocently smiled at his elder brother.

Soo looked at the alcohol and exclaimed, “Wait no, the 4th Prince is not like a puppy, he’s like wine.” She giggled before continuing, “He’s like fine wine, gets better with age.” She drank the alcohol in her cup in one gulp and added, “I did not think that man could be better looking than he already was when I first met him, clearly I was wrong. He should be beheaded for looking that handsome.”

‘She’s not wrong there.’ Yeon Hwa thought as she stared at her 4th brother.

“This girl must be mad” Queen Yoo muttered.

The King and Grand General exchanged looks of amusement as they watched. The King raised an eyebrow and asked the 4th Prince, “Beheading?” So blushed at that.

The red flush on her cheeks darkened as she not so silently whispered to Woo Hee, “That scar on his face makes him look even more handsome. I do not what is wrong with the people in Goryeo. He looks so rugged with that scar.” Soo let out a loud, dreamy sigh as she thought of the 4th Prince.

So locked shocked at that before grinning brightly, his cheeks a bright red. ‘I have found my match’ he thought.

Yeon Hwa looked annoyed at what Soo had said. Baek ah stared at his elder brother intently before saying, “If you do look at So-hyungnim and Jung ah closely, they both look really alike.”

Everyone looked towards the 4th and the 14th Prince before nodding in agreement, “If not for So-hyungnim’s mask, Jung ah and he do look similar.” Eun said as Wook agreed.

Woo Hee giggled before holding Soo’s face and slurring, “You look really pretty too, Soo-ya.” Baek ah looked confused at what was going on as Soo wrapped her hands around Woo Hee’s neck, looking touched before saying, “You look far more stunning, Woo Hee-ya.”

“Oh goodness.” Woo Hee hid her face on Baek ah’s shoulder as everyone’s eyes widened in shock at the close proximity of both the women.

“This is completely unacceptable behavior!” Court Lady Oh screamed, as her brain refused to work at what she saw.

Lady Hae looked like a statue, frozen in shock at what she had witnessed.

Both of them leaned towards each other, clearly drunk as Baek ah watched on in horror before he yelled, “NO!” He stepped over the table and pushed Soo away from Woo Hee. ‘I do not want So-hyungnim to kill me and I most definitely do not want Woo Hee and Hae Soo near each other doing…..that!’ he thought, glaring at both the women, who were completely wasted.

“Did…did..they…almost……kiss?” Eun yelped. Jung continuously rubbed his eyes, as though he could not believe what he had seen.

“You’re right, I would have killed you.” So admitted as little Seol scoffed. So looked down at his daughter who said, “Uncle Baek ah is your second most favorite person after me.”

Baek ah agreed, “My darling niece is absolutely correct, You care for me too much hyungnim.” The 13th Prince brightly smiled.

“How do I get these two to their rooms.” He muttered, wondering what to do. He could not leave one of them here alone. Bemoaning his terrible fate, he held both the drunk women by their waist and walked towards the Damiwon.

Notes:

I hoped you enjoyed reading this chapter, I know I had fun writing it. And as many of you guessed, the woman who appeared in the last was indeed Hubaekje Princess Woo Hee.

Chapter 18: Chaptet Seventeen

Summary:

Jung and Soo reunite, So finds out that Yo has been hurting Soo

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Chapter Seventeen

 

“Lady Hae Soo, I would like to speak to you.” Ji Mong had made a surprising appearance at the Damiwon.

Looking confused, Hae Soo hesitantly nodded and guided the astrologer to one of the Damiwon tearooms. They both sat down at the table, maintaining a strange silence before Ji Mong spoke up, “Lady Hae Soo, in your world, who are the first 5-6 kings of Goryeo?”

“How do you know….” Eun’s voice trailed off as the astrologer cryptically smiled.

Soo stared at him in confusion, “You’ve never acknowledged that I was from another time. What changed?”

“You know?!” Baek ah looked stunned and everyone turned to look at Choi Ji Mong.

“Many things have changed. It is why I’m asking you this question.” Ji Mong replied, staring at her seriously. Hae Soo took a deep breath and said, “Tae, Hye, Gwang, Gweon, Seon, Mok. I do not remember after that.”

“Tae, Hye, what is that?” Jung asked,

“They’ve shortened the names of the rulers so it can be learned easily I assume.” Crown Prince Moo offered; Ji Mong agreed.

“Then she should have said ‘Jeon’ for King Jeonjong right?” Wook asked.

“You are the reason for the deviation.” Choi Ji Mong said as she confirmed his suspicions. Court Lady Hae looked confused as to what he was saying. “3rd Prince Wang Yo was supposed to have died at the cliff, but he didn’t, because of you. The 3rd King of Goryeo in your world is King Gwangjong, the 4th Prince Wang So.”

“Did she change history?!” Yeon Hwa asked, stunned at what she was hearing.

“Surely history cannot be changed by one person.” The 8th Prince denied.

“You do not know the power Lady Hae Soo holds.” Ji Mong said.

She stared at him in shock, unable to believe what he was implying.  

Choi Ji Mong sighed, “Remember what King Taejo had told you before he died. You have the fate of Goryeo resting on your shoulders. Each action you have taken and will take will change the history of your country. You were the one who taught the 4th Prince to not throw away people even if they threw him away and that is the reason why the 3rd Prince is alive and the 10th Prince is not. You are his kingmaker, Lady Hae Soo.”

“The fate of Goryeo?!” King Taejo asked Ji Mong, who nodded.

“Kingmaker…” Yeon Hwa fumed, she wanted that title. That was supposed to belong to her.

“That sounds so cool.” The younger princes muttered, staring at their frozen 4th brother in awe.

She just stared at him in disbelief, how could she have changed history so much. No…it was not possible.

“Behind every great man, is a woman who sculpted him for greatness. You hold the 4th Prince’s fate in your hand. He has to fulfill his fate, his destiny of becoming the most powerful king in Goryeo history.” Saying that, he stood up and turned to leave but stopped when he heard Lady Hae Soo whisper, “I…I am not a part of that fate, am I?”

Queen Yoo looked stunned, ‘The most powerful king in Goryeo history’ the son she threw away.

“How could you say that Ji Mong?!” Prince So glared at the astrologer.

Everyone else could not believe what they had heard. That girl, with no power or clan behind her, she held the 4th Prince’s fate in her hands.

Ji Mong turned around to look at the lady who continued, “I..I want to be his wife. I want to grow old with him. I want to start a family with him. He is why I am still breathing, Ji Mong. How can you ask me to let go of the very reason why I am alive? I love him.”

So could not help but feel shocked every time Hae Soo said something like that.

The Royal astrologer did not reply to her and he bowed and left. Hae Soo sat there, frozen as the tears that she had held in her eyes, fell.

 

 

 

 

2 years later

Hae Soo stood in front of Lake Dongji, thinking of all the memories she had made in this garden. She did not know how much longer she had to wait for him.

“Wow!” Jung exclaimed as he stared at the court lady, “She looks stunning.” He continued. So glared at his younger brother but found himself agreeing to what he had said, “She does look really beautiful.”

“Hyungsoo-nim is really pretty.” Baek ah smiled at So and Seol, who had identical smiles on their faces watching Soo.

“Beautiful enough for being a prince’s wife.” Court Lady Oh approved.

Lady Hae looked at her cousin with a smile, “It seems that despite the heartache, she grows into a beautiful woman.” Yeon Hwa scoffed, unable to understand what was so special about the girl.

Woo Hee turned to look at the girl on the lap of the 4th Prince, “Who are you?” she asked with a soft smile.

“My name is Wang Seol,” She said and bowed, Woo Hee’s eyes brightened up as she asked with excitement, “You are Soo-ya’s daughter, right?” the little girl nodded with a bright smile.

“Hae Soo told me about you, you should have seen how happy she was.” Woo Hee smiled brightly.

Seol bubbled with joy as she asked, “Eomoni was happy about me?”

“Of course, she was! She even started to stitch clothes for you!” The Hubaekje royal said.

So looked at his daughter adoringly, the daughter who looked beyond excited at what she had learned.

"Court Lady Hae! Court Lady Hae!" Chae Ryung excitedly screamed while running towards her.

Court Lady Oh frowned at the scene.

"I told you not to run," Hae Soo said but Chae Ryung seemed unafraid or even bothered by her warning. She was just smiling happily at Hae Soo.

"You are an upper court lady now. You should be dignified," she reminded Chae Ryung whom she promoted only a year ago.

"Get going now," Chae Ryung said, confusing Hae Soo. "Someone you'll be happy to see is here!"

"Happy to see?"

Chae Ryung nodded then said, "It's been almost three years since the last time he's been here, so you will be very happy."

Baek ah glanced at his elder brother, “I think she thinks it is you.”, So nodded.

It took a while before she absorbed what Chae Ryung had said and her heart skipped a beat.

Prince So?

She quickly ran towards the Damiwon.

“Didn’t she have some issue in her legs?” Lady Hae Myung Hee enquired and Court Lady Oh nodded.

“And she tells me not to run.” Chae Ryung chuckled before following her lady back.

Hae Soo was filled with anticipation as she entered the Damiwon but she was greatly disappointed when it was Prince Jung that she saw and not the 4th Prince. He seemed to have matured after fighting war after war for the past 2 years.

“You have become such a strong man Jung ah.” Queen Yoo complimented her youngest son.

“Thank you eomoni,” Jung said as he forcefully smiled.

She covered up her disappointment with a smile and walked closer to Prince Jung. She greeted him with a low bow.

Prince Jung looked away from the window and stared at her.

"It has been a long time," Prince Jung said, sweetly smiling at her.

“Why are you smiling at her like that?” Wang So frowned.

“She is my friend too.” Wang Jung pointed out and So huffed.

"It has been a long time," Hae Soo agreed. "I will prepare tea for you, Jung-nim. Take a seat first."

Prince Jung nodded and waited for her return.

 

 

 

 

"Sit down," he said after she had served him tea. "I came two days earlier on my own so that I could drink this tea... but... I had to drop by at Eun-hyungnim's grave so I was a little delayed."

"I'm glad that you did," Hae Soo said also wanting to visit Eun and Soon Deok's grave.

“I cannot believe I died so early,” Eun muttered. “Do not worry Eun-ah, it will not happen this time around.” Crown Prince Moo reassured his younger brother.

"I showed off to hyungsoo-nim a lot too," Prince Jung proudly continued. "I have done more than she ever did as a soldier."

“My daughter will easily take down you in one to one combat.” Grand General Park boasted about his daughter.

“Then maybe we should have Lady Soon Deok marry Prince Wang Jung instead of Prince Wang Eun.” The King mused.

Queen Sinmyeongsunseong grinned and agreed, “That would be a good match, Pyeha.”

“No!” Eun burst out, everyone turned to look at him, “I mean….I am her first love…it is..it is only right that she marries me!” he exclaimed.

All the princes grinned at that, it seemed their 4th and 13th brothers were not the only ones hopelessly in love.

Park Soo Kyung chuckled before saying, “I doubt my daughter would marry anyone but the 10th Prince, Pyeha.”

"You are a grand general now. It feels a little low of you." Soo teased the prince.

"I was worried that you had already left the palace while I am away," Jung suddenly said, staring at her with deep concern.

"Where would I go?" Hae Soo asked, smiling at her friend.

"What about marriage? You are not getting married? A girl from a good family can leave the palace if she gets married."

“Yah! Why are you talking about marriage?!” The 4th Prince raised his voice and glared at his younger brother.

Lady Hae and Baek ah shook their head as they chuckled.

"Should I get married and just live my life taking care of another person?" Hae Soo asked, mock glaring at Prince Jung who only stared curiously at her.

“She’s not wrong there.” Yeon Hwa grudgingly admitted.

"I'm going to retire when I get older and go on a vacation somewhere far away. I will go to the deserts to ride camels. I will sail across the oceans. I saved all the money I've made from working to do those things once I retire from this place," Hae Soo went on, smiling sweetly at the 14th Prince.

Court Lady Oh sadly smiled, “That’s a beautiful dream.” Queen Yoo wrinkled her nose at that.

Prince Jung's laughed loudly and looked at her fondly, "I am glad that you look well now," he happily said then resumed drinking his tea in silence.

Jung noticed her anxiety and how heartbroken she was, but as always, he understood how she felt and did not bother her about it. Both the childhood friends engaged in a conversation filled with laughter.

“You are a good friend to her, thank you.” Lady Hae Myung Hee smiled to the 14th Prince who only bowed back in turn.

 

 

 

 

Jung had informed Soo that he had to go report to King Jeonjong about what all happened at the border and she had offered to escort him till Cheondeokjeon. As they spoke to one and another about what they had missed in each other’s lives in the past couple of years. They stopped walking when they came across Baek ah and Woo Hee.

"It has been a long time," Prince Jung said as he and Hae Soo bowed to the 13th Prince and Woo Hee bowed to the 14th Prince.

"Wow! How long has it been?" Baek-Ah eagerly asked. "I heard that you beat the Khitan in Hwayi."

King Taejo and Grand General Park looked at the 14th Prince, impressed by his achievement.

"Well, yes," Jung answered and Soo noticed the momentary flash of sadness on Prince Anjong’s face when he saw the distant aloofness on the 14th Prince’s face.

“I’m sorry hyungnim.” The 14th Prince apologized to his elder brother, who reassuringly smiled, “It’s alright Jung ah.”

Jung looked at Woo Hee, and Baek-Ah did not like the suspicion in his brother's eyes.

"My name is Woo Hee," she said with another bow and Jung seemed like he was trying to remember something.

"She is the highest court lady of Gyobang," Hae Soo told him. "She comes by to get tea and refreshments for the Buddhist mass."

"The highest court lady of Gyobang? Ah..." Jung said, looking back at Woo Hee with contempt. "...that former gisaeng?"

“Why would you be so rude?” Eun frowned.

Yo spoke up for his younger brother, “He’s not wrong though.”

Before Baek ah could speak, the 4th Prince spoke up, “Need I remind you that the Lady you speak of is the Princess Gyeon Woo Hee.” So raised an eyebrow at everyone in the room. Woo Hee and Baek ah gratefully smiled at the 4th Prince.

King Taejo nodded in agreement, “So is right. She is a royal woman, as such, you should give her the respect she deserves in accordance to her station.”

“She is highly respected and viewed as the mother of the people of Hubaekje. I am sure none of you are even near that title, as such, you do not have any right to speak of The Princess in such a demeaning manner.” Crown Prince Moo added, sending a smile to Princess Woo Hee, who bowed her head.

Jung bowed his head and Yo scoffed.

Baek-Ah's smile faded but Woo Hee kept her composure. Jung was sometimes like Wang Yo and it was really irritating.

"As always, you keep bad company," Jung continued to irritate them all. "A murderer and now a gisaeng."

“I am sorry hyungnim.” Jung apologized to So.

Soo turned to look at the 14th Prince, looking upset at what he had said. While the 14th Prince cared for her deeply and made sure to cherish her, he was not that way to many of the important people in Hae Soo’s life. Like the 4th Prince and Woo Hee.

"Watch your mouth," Baek-Ah warned, glaring at the Grand General, but Jung would never listen.

"Be careful of that person," Jung went on. "He may stab you someday. Also, would you please stop sending that performer to the troops to spy? A spy who plays the flute? What is that?"

“A spy who plays the flute?” Everyone in the room turned to look at the 13th Prince.

"I can’t deal with you,” Baek-Ah said, rolling his eyes. "You must have suffered a lot because you've become paranoid."

Jung only shook his head and left the three of them.

Baek-Ah sighed then asked Woo Hee, "That guy... how did he know? He sure is quick."

“Yah! You just insulted me to my face before!” Jung said in indignation. Baek ah grinned at the 14th Prince.

"He may be a grand general, but there is something cute about him." Woo Hee replied, always with a sweet smile, despite the annoying words Jung had said.

"Right, he is cute, isn’t he." Baek-Ah agreed, also smiling. Woo Hee never failed to infect him with her smile.

"You really sent someone?" Hae Soo blinked unbelievingly and asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I was curious to see if he was doing all right," Baek-Ah explained and Hae Soo only shook her head at him.

So and Woo Hee chuckled.

“What about So-hyungnim? Which room is he in?” Baek ah asked Soo, who looked surprised at that question.

“The 4th Prince….he is here?” Hae Soo blankly asked. The smile fell from the 13th Prince’s face as he awkwardly said, “I assumed..that he was here.”
Soo looked upset at what she heard, ‘He’s here but he has not even come to see me.’

The 4th Prince sighed.

 

 

 

Hae Soo had been summoned by the king to serve him tea and biscuits in the chamber that the king had kept for his prayer purposes. As she and the court ladies behind her went about their way in Cheondeokjeon, they came across the 8th and 14th Prince. She stopped walking to bow at them. Prince Wook and Prince Jung had also stopped and looked at her for a while.

Just as Wang So was going to start with his death threats, Seol whispered, “Abeoji, if you use up all your death threats now, you won’t have any left in the future.”

So looked at his daughter and could not help but grin, “Is it so?” He asked, humoring her.

She seriously nodded and said, “Uncle Baek ah and Uncle Jung never listen to your threats because of it.” Baek ah who had overheard what his niece was telling turned to grin at his brother and received a glare in turn.

Prince Wook had been dropping by the Damiwon occasionally and Hae Soo was served him tea. But they had never talked to each other. Hae Soo would always lower her head and not make eye contact. She could just feel Prince Wook staring at her in silence until he finished his drink. Just like at that moment, he stared at her for a while before he and Prince Jung entered the throne room.

Hae Soo was starting to feel disappointed. Was it only Prince Jung and Prince Wook inside?

She closed her eyes and prepared herself at not seeing Prince So. She took the tray from the court lady behind her and followed Prince Wook and Prince Jung inside the throne room and that was when she heard the king bellowing angrily.

"What is so important about a few dead slaves that you would stop the construction again?!"

“A few dead slaves?!” Woo Hee turned to glare at the 3rd Prince. King Taejo looked disapprovingly at his third son.

‘Construction...?’

Hae Soo looked up and her heart skipped a beat when she saw Prince So after a very long time. The man she had longed for every single day during the past 2 years. She was so very happy to see him, but she restrained herself from smiling.

So softly smiled at that, it still shocked him that there was someone who missed him, someone who was concerned for him, someone who cared about him.

She marveled at his face for a short while before she stood beside the king and served him tea.

"The land in Songak is growing weaker. The royal family line is in danger. The priests and shamans have all confirmed it. And now you are telling me that we are lacking in manpower?!"

"We do not have enough supplies, so people work one day and rest the next," Prince So explained.

But the king would not accept it. He was too angry that he grabbed a teacup and hurled it at Prince So. It hit the Fourth Prince hard on the chest, but he did not even wince. He just kept staring on the floor where the cup had fallen and broke. Soo turned to look at the 4th Prince in horror.

"If you do not have enough manpower, do not let them sleep," the king angrily told him and this time, he grabbed Hae Soo's arm and held it tightly. Hae Soo endured the pain. Her sleeve fell from her wrist to her elbow, revealing the purple bruises King Jeonjong had given her whenever he heard the 4th Prince was doing something against him.

“You are no brother of mine.” So said with a glare, renouncing his brother. His daughter was the only reason So had not gone up and punched his elder brother.

So clenched his jaw when he saw the bruises that decorated Soo’s hand. He had pushed her away so that the king would not use her to stop him, but it seemed that the king had used him to hurt her.

“How could you hurt someone like that?” Jung still could not believe that this was the brother he had grown up with.

Wook, Baek ah, Eun, and Moo shook their heads in disgust.

Soo would not let the king use her against Prince So, though it seemed that the Fourth Prince was not paying any attention to her at all. "If you are lacking supplies, get them by stealing. Squeeze... and squeeze... and squeeze them out if you must! Get it done on schedule."

Prince Jung tried to say something but Prince Wook stopped him.

“It is never a good idea to anger a king.” Court Lady Oh commented and Queen Sinjeong nodded in agreement.

“Good that you stopped him.” Lady Hae told her husband, who turned to look at her in surprise. She had not spoken to him after she had found out that his future self had framed her cousin for a crime he had committed.

Prince So knelt in front of the king and said, "I have committed a deadly sin, Your Majesty."

That seemed to calm the king a little because his grip on Hae Soo had somehow loosened.

"Pyeha, let us talk about this in private," Prince Wook suggested, trying to get the king to let Soo leave the chamber.

“Good.” Lady Hae and Prince So said at the same time and turned to smile at each other when they heard the other.

The king stared at Prince So for a few moments before he finally let go of Hae Soo's hand.

She took that as a sign for her to leave. She bowed low to the king then hurriedly left the room.

Notes:

I am so sorry for the delay! I hope this chapter made up for it! Btw, do you guys want to see Soo joining everyone and if so, Hae Soo from which time?

Chapter 19: Chapter Eighteen

Summary:

So finds out Soo has been protecting him, Woo Hee faces King Jeonjong, So protects Soo.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Chapter Eighteen

 

 

Baek ah should have expected this, he should have expected this the moment he had decided to hide King Jeonjong hurting Hae Soo because of So.

“Hyungnim..” He tried to give an excuse, but he could not come up with anything under his elder brother’s glare.

“You deserve this.” Wang So told Baek ah

“I told you to take care of her in place, I told you to protect her. I come back to see bruises on her hand! BRUISES?! WHAT HAS BEEN GOING ON IN SONGAK BAEK AH AND WHY DO I NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT?! HOW LONG HAS THIS BEEN GOING ON?! HOW DID SHE GET THOSE BRUISES?!”

Lady Hae looked at the 4th Prince approvingly, “It is good that he is upset.”

The 13th Prince sighed and answered, “It started a fortnight after you left for Seokyeong. The King…it seemed that he knew that you had someone in place to know about what was happening in the palace so…he..he started taking out all of his anger on her….whenever he heard you were plotting something…he would take it out on Soo…”

Court Lady Oh and Lady Hae sighed.

“She went through a lot of pain at that time.” The Hubaekje Princess told everyone, “Chae Ryung and I would spend many of our evenings applying ointment to her bruises.” She glared at the 3rd Prince.

The 4th Prince fell to the ground. It was because of him….he had hurt her yet again. “Why did you not tell me?” So croaked out, hiding his face in his hands. “Soo..she told us not to tell you…she said that you were already suffering so much…she said it was not right…” Baek ah told the 4th Prince.

Court Lady Oh frowned, this girl was too selfless for palace life.

Hae Soo had this really bad habit of not thinking about herself. He should have expected this from her, but he never did he expect Baek ah betraying him like this. He was always wondering why most of his plots in Seokyeong went smoothly almost all the time, now he knew. She was taking the burden of it all at his brother’s hands.

“I would tell you sorry, but I would not mean it. You always come first hyungnim.” Baek ah honestly told the 4th Prince.

“At least the king won’t be able to use her against you because he thinks you do not care for her anymore.” The 13th Prince offered, So glared at him and rubbed his forehead, “If Wang Yo lays a single hand on Soo in front of me, do you think I will stand still and let it happen?”

“He better not,” Court Lady Oh muttered.

Woo Hee silently sighed, only she knew how much her best friend had suffered.

Baek ah turned silent, knowing very well what the answer will be. He heard his elder brother mutter something along the lines of “I almost snapped his neck today” which he hoped was about the king and not himself.

“I am going for a walk.” So wearily said and walked out of the room.

 

 

 

 

 

It was late but Hae Soo was still in her study, tracing the poem the 4th Prince had given. thousands of times already.

That cup... Hae Soo was somehow grateful that it did not hit Prince So in the face. If it did, she would certainly poison the king the next time she served tea to him.

“That…that is treason!” Queen Yoo shouted, staring at the curtain in shock.

“Has ever treason ever bothered you?” Concubine Oh asked the 3rd Queen.

Hae Soo sighed. Of course, she really could not kill the king. But she could make his stomach hurt for days. Right, she could do that.

“She knows her place.” Queen Sinjeong acknowledged.

Hae Soo let out another sigh as she stared at the characters she traced.

"Lady Soo, you are still not asleep? I don't think I've seen you get a proper sleep since I've been in the Damiwon " Chae Ryung asked, checking up on Hae Soo.

The 4th Prince alongside Lady Hae looked worried at that.

"I will sleep soon," Hae Soo said, focusing on the paper.

But Chae Ryung did not move from where she was standing. She only stared at what Hae Soo was writing.

"Why is it that you write this so often?" she curiously asked.

“Because hyungnim gave it to her.” Baek ah answered for Soo with a cheeky grin. Wang So glared at his younger brother.

Hae Soo stared at Chae Ryung with amazement.

"You are illiterate, but you noticed."

"I may be illiterate, but I can still see. The characters look the same," Chae Ryung smiled then curiously asked again, "Why do you keep on writing the same words?"

“Because she misses hyungnim.” Eun winked at his 13th brother as he too joined in teasing their 4th brother. Said 4th brother rubbed his head at his younger brothers’ antics

"I like its meaning," Hae Soo said with a sad smile. "When the water has run dry, sit and watch for the rising clouds."

“It is a beautiful poem.” The 8th Princess smiled.

"It was foolish of him to go on until the water came to an end. He should just find another water source," Chae Ryung said then her eyes suddenly lit up. "If you cannot sleep, why don't you go for a walk?"

"That is a good idea," Hae Soo said, smiling at Chae Ryung.

“I hope they meet!” The 10th Prince wished. Woo Hee chuckled and nodded, “They do meet.”

Chae Ryung nodded brightly and Hae Soo thanked her before she went out of the Damiwon and to Lake Dongji.

 

 

 

 


Hae Soo's heart raced when she saw Prince So standing near the lake, distressed and exhausted.
Prince So turned around and looked at her but he quickly looked away.

"You are leaving without seeing me?" she asked while her heart pounded hard on her chest. "It has been more than two years, but you did not come even once. I guess you really have forgotten me."

All the princes with the exception of the 3rd and 4th Prince scoffed when they heard that.

“As if the man isn’t hopelessly in love with Soo.” Woo Hee chuckled, the 4th Prince’s cheeks stained red.

“That’s right. I just came here by mistake today.” He told and walked away.

Hae Soo quickly ran after Prince So and embraced him tightly from behind him.

“Daebak” The 10th, 13th, and 14th Princes said in shock at the same time.

Yeon Hwa stared at the screen in shock, how dare this girl touch a prince of the blood like this. The next time the princess met Hae Soo, she was going to make sure to slap her.

Court Lady Oh shook her head at the curtain while the king smiled, it seemed that his son had got himself a person who was as stubborn as he was.

"It’s not over for me yet," she said. "Just bear with me here since you left on your own without my consent, I deserve at least this much." So raised his hand to remove Soo’s arms which were holding him, but he could not help but stop himself. ‘Just for a few moments more’ he thought. He had not felt her embrace for so long.

“This is so sad.” Princess Woo Hee said as she watched on, Baek ah raised an eyebrow. Woo Hee pointed at the screen as she continued, “They shouldn’t have to suffer so much.”

“We will make sure they will not suffer that much this time around.” The Crown Prince promised as he smiled at the Hubaekje Princess and then at his 4th brother.

Soo tightened her embrace on him and confirmed something. Her eyes were not playing tricks on her earlier, ‘He has lost weight’ she thought. "Are you sleeping well? Eating well?"

“She must have hugged you a lot to know you have lost weight just like that.” The 14th Prince said out loud, his elder brother glared at him while blushing, “Yah! Stop being so indecent.”

The 14th Prince innocently smiled at pointed at the 4-year-old girl sitting on his brother’s lap. The blush on the 4th Prince’s face intensified as the 13th Prince and the Crown Prince chuckled.

“Jung ah is not wrong hyungnim.” Eun added with a grin of his own.

Noticing his silence, she nervously asked, “Do you still…..resent me?” ‘How could I ever resent you?’ So thought. Hae Soo was the most precious thing in his life, how could he ever resent her.

“I told you.” Woo Hee told Baek ah as Yeon Hwa seethed in the background.

“I have never seen a man cherish his love more than the 4th Prince.”

If he stayed here for a moment more he knew that he’d ended up holding onto her and not letting go. With that in my mind, he removed Soo’s hands from around him and walked away.

“Her heart must be breaking.” Myung Hee said with a sad look on her face.

 

 

 

 

“Prince Wang So is scheming with some of the Songak Clans and is deliberating stalling the construction of the new capital. He mixed gravel so walls fell and let some of the workers go.” Woo Hee informed King Jeonjong.

“So you had been plotting after all.” Park Soo Kyung commented as the 3rd Prince glared at Wang So.

“But why are you telling him this?” Baek ah asked Woo Hee, who looked away from him.

“Are you sure?” He asked, taking a deep breath in.

“There are also rumors that because Minister Wang Shik Ryeom is too ill, supervision of the construction is not really happening.” She continued.

“Uncle is ill?” The 3rd Prince frowned at that.

“Why? Why?! WHY?!” The King yelled as he banged the table in front of him, causing the utensils on the table to spill its contents, “What does he want? I am sure it is more than just going against my will...it’s the throne. Is he after the throne? Is that right?” King Jeonjong looked at the Hubaekje Princess.

“The throne never belonged to you, Your Highness. After the Crown Prince, the throne is the 4th Prince’s birthright.” Ji Mong told the 3rd Prince, who scoffed at what the astrologer said.

“Birthright it seems.” Wang Yo muttered.

“Before I answer that, let me ask you first. Why did you break our deal?” Princess Woo Hee asked with a slight glare on her face.

“Deal?”

“People who cannot pay taxes are drafted for forced labor. Poor Hubaekje refugees are being dragged to the construction and are dying there. What is the point for me to keep serving you as your eyes and ears, Pyeha?” Woo Hee glared at the king as she asked.

Baek ah stared at Woo Hee in shock, but before she could say anything, the Crown Prince interrupted, “She has a duty to her people as the Princess of Hubaekje, she was only trying to do that, do not blame her for it.” The 13th Prince nodded at that, but did not say anything, worrying Woo Hee.

King Jeonjong started laughing and asked, “So, you mean to quit?”

“If there is nothing in it for me.” She answered, facing the king head-on.

“Princess Woo Hee……you weren’t addressed like this for a while now, right?” The King gave a small pause before he continued, “You know something about Baek ah, he’s always been a very sensitive and delicate soul. People into arts are normally like that.” He began to grin as he pointed at the Hubaekje Princess, “I wonder what his face will look like once he finds out you were my dog?”

“How dare you insult her like that?!” The 13th Prince got up in anger but was stopped by Woo Hee’s hand clutching onto his wrist. Her eyes pleaded him to leave the matter.

Woo Hee looked down, indirectly admitting defeat. The 13th Prince was her only weakness and King Jeonjong knew that very well.

“He is using you by using me as bait.” The 13th Prince muttered once he had seated himself back.

 

 

 

 

The 4th Prince stood near Lake Dongji, his eyes far away as though reminiscing old memories.

A young Hae Soo wearing junior court lady uniform stood next to a masked 4th Prince, “I’m all right because I’m not alone.” She said, smiling brightly.

“You are not alone?” The 4th Prince asked.

She turned and pointed at him, “You are here, Your Highness. How am I alone?” she said.

“That is so sweet.” Baek ah smiled at his brother.

The scene changed to Soo standing near a boat on which Wang So was sleeping in.

“Why would you sleep in a boat?” Eun asked. Jung nodded in agreement as he asked, “What if the boat topples over? What will you do?”

Both the brothers sighed as their elder brother replied back with a shrug.

“Your Highness.” She called out, but the 4th Prince continued to sleep, “Your Highness?” she repeated in a questioning tone, unsure of what she should do.

She went around the other side, trying to get him to wake up by climbing on the boat herself, holding onto a tree branch with her left hand, “When did he put this thing here?” she sighed as she tried to get in without falling.

She held her chima in her hand as she stepped in, “Are you asleep?” she asked, but the man in question gave no answer. Just as she made her way in, the boat shook and she lost her balance, “Omo! Omo!” she yelped as she felt herself tripping down. Just before she could, the 4th Prince’s hand shot up and pulled her towards him, steadying her. Instead of the water, Hae Soo fell in the arms of Prince So.

“It seems hyungsoo-nim fell for you hyungnim.” The 10th Prince said, the 8th Prince and Crown Prince laughed as the 4th Prince grinned.

The scene switched to Hae Soo and Wang So sitting under a sky filled with stars.

Soo was staring intently at Prince So when she noticed that he was leaning in for a kiss. She quickly covered his lips with her hand.

“Oh we saw this, did we not?” The 14th Prince asked, “We did.” The King confirmed.

"Didn't you say you would get my permission first?"

He took her hand away from his lips then said with a cute smile, "Can I do it?"

“This is always funny,” Eun said as he laughed at his 4th brother being adorable.

"No, you can't," she said pulling her hand away from his grasp and covered it again on his lips then lightly pushed his face away from hers.

Hae Soo smiled sweetly at the 4th Prince and kissed his lips, stunning him.

"Next time, don't ever forget those words," she said as his heart pounded crazily on his chest.

“This was when abeoji said he loves eomma, is it not?” Seol asked and So smiled at his daughter in reply.

It took a few moments before Wang So could breathe again and broke out of his stupor. He smiled gratefully at Hae Soo then put his arms around her waist and pulled her closer to him.

The 4th Prince stood at Lake Dongji with tears in his eyes, memories of better times running in his mind.

He remembered the way she ran and embraced him from behind the previous night.

“Do you still resent me?” She had asked, her voice filled with heartbreak.

So sighed. It was as though he was destined to throw away the things he liked.

He turned around to leave but in front of him stood Hae Soo herself.

King Jeonjong stood next to 9th Prince Wang Won in the pavilion above Lake Dongji.

“So-hyungnim is right there. Hae Soo is with him too. Look at them, I told you that you cannot trust that he will live as your dog, Pyeha.” Wang Won commented.

“How could he place his brother in harm’s way like that?” Eun asked, shocked at what he was hearing. King Taejo shook his head.

Crown Prince Moo wondered if he ever truly knew his brothers.

“He will be useful if I pull on his collar just right.” King Jeonjong replied.

“Those two no longer have any feelings for each other, so it won’t be effective.” Won recited and turned to look at the king, “Do you believe that?” He asked.

“I did confirm that they did not send any letters to one another.” King Jeonjong said.

“Still, you should confirm it. Slaves only work hard if you give them a good whipping now and then.” Won encouraged his elder brother.

“The 4th Prince is his elder brother! How could he disrespect him like this?!” The 14th Prince glared at the screen as he shook his head. The 4th Prince sent the 14th Prince a grateful smile.

Hae Soo made to step forward when the 4th Prince ordered her to stop. “It would have been better not to see you at all.” He added.

“You should really stop hurting her this way,” Jung added on.

Meanwhile, King Jeonjong aimed his arrow at the Hae Soo, preparing himself to shoot it.

“Are you insane?!” Lady Hae shrieked as she saw the arrow pointed towards Soo. She felt as though she was going to die. Court Lady Oh fiercely glared at the 3rd Prince.

“I hope you die a horrible death.” So told his elder brother cruelly.

So raised his head and stepped forward when he saw the bow and arrow in the king’s hand and how it was pointed at Soo. His eyes widened in fear just as King Jeonjong let the arrow go.

“Praise the heavens, hyungnim noticed.” Eun sighed in relief.

So immediately took Soo in his arms and protected her body from harm with his as he pushed her to the ground.

“Thank you.” Lady Hae Myung Hee breathed in relief as her husband held her comfortingly.

“I do not know about Hae Soo, but I would have poisoned him myself had anything happened to that girl.” Court Lady Oh muttered.

While the arrow had not hurt her anywhere, it deeply cut through his right arm.

“Oh Buddha.” The Crown Prince whispered as he saw his younger brother bleeding.

King Taejo and General Park sat up straight at that, looking concerned for the prince. “Hopefully it does not hinder your sword-wielding ability.” He said, noticing that it was the 4th Prince’s right hand.

Wang So sat up and held onto his painfully bleeding right arm. Hae Soo looked incredibly worried and concerned when she noticed that his arm was bleeding, “Are you alright?!” she asked, her voice making it clear that she was panicking. So forced himself to move his hand back, indirectly telling her to not fret over him. It was then that he noticed the king and his 9th brother standing in front of him. He quickly got up and so did Soo.

The King smirked as Soo bowed to him, “I felt like my arm was getting weak, so I was testing myself. Are you hurt?” The King asked while smirking at the 4th Prince.

The Crown Prince glared at the 3rd Prince.

“It only grazed me.” The 4th Prince replied, showing no sign of any emotion. Soo slightly turned to look at So’s arm, which was heavily bleeding.

“That is not true at all! Look at how much you’re bleeding hyungnim.” Baek ah fretted over his elder brother. Woo Hee chuckled as she reassured, “Do not worry, your hand gets better soon.” She remembered Soo taking care of the 4th Prince.

“Oh, you two are still on very good terms.” The 9th Prince remarked as he smirked at his elder brother and the court lady beside him.

“I cannot believe our 9th brother.” Eun shook his head.

“It would not look good if rumors started that you killed a court lady for fun.” So told King Jeonjong who agreed, “Yes, that would not be good. It was my mistake.” He slightly chuckled when he noticed Hae Soo glaring at him and turned to walk away.

“That girl is going to get herself killed.” Court Lady Oh said as she rubbed her forehead.

“You should be careful.” Prince So warned his younger brother who innocently replied, “What did I do?” and walked away.

“No wonder that snake is not here with us.” Baek ah said with disgust.

Soo turned to look at the wound on the 4th Prince’s arm with worry and concern. Wang So looked at Soo and left Lake Dongji and Soo’s attention turned to the arrow that was stuck in the bark of the tree.

Notes:

please do not kill me for updating so late.

Chapter 20: Chapter Nineteen

Summary:

Soo and So reunite outside of Songak

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Chapter Nineteen

 

 

Hae Soo was in her study, looking at the arrow in her hands, her mind filled with concern for the 4th Prince when Woo Hee entered. Soo immediately stood up at the sound of the door opening and placed the arrow aside.

“She should learn how to use the bow.” Grand General Park commented, everyone turned to look at him, “It would have taken a lot of energy to pull the arrow from the bark of the tree. It looks like she has the required upper body strength for it.”

Lady Hae nodded, “Actually, before the…time travel thing…Soo-ya could use the bow and arrow.”

“No wonder.”

“You asked to see me?” Woo Hee said with a smile as she looked at the younger woman.

All of a sudden the image on the curtain froze.

The glow that had brought Princess Woo Hee and Princess Seol reappeared. ‘Who will be arriving now?’ was the only thought in everyone’s mind.

“The Lady who will be arriving now is the woman who is the reason for the greatness of the entire Goryeo empire. She carried the fate of the Goryeo Empire on her shoulders. She single-handedly changed history. Considered one of the most powerful women in the history of the nation. I hope you all respect her for the great things that she has done for the Royal Wang Clan and Goryeo.” The ethereal voice announced as everyone watched on keenly.

King Taejo had an idea who the Lady was going to be, he glanced at his 4th son.

From the bright glow walked out Lady Hae Soo herself. Everyone stared in her shock before Queen Yoo exclaimed in horror, “What in the world is she wearing?!”

Soo had an ocean blue pencil skirt on which ended at her knees and a sleeveless cream blouse. Her hair was tied in a high bun. On her right hand was an ocean blue blazer. Her 4-inch stilettos matched her skirt as she stood in shock at all the faces she was seeing. Her face paled drastically when she saw the 4th Prince and the little girl on his lap and her eyes filled with tears.

Go Ha Jin came back to reality once she heard Queen Yoo’s voice. She looked at the Queen in surprise and told, “In a thousand years, this will be how women dress.” Everyone stared at her in horror, they could see her arms and her legs.

Before anyone could say anything, Go Ha Jin rushed and hugged the 4th Prince and their daughter. The tears rolled down her cheeks and to the 4th Prince’s hanbok as he hugged her back, as tight as she hugged him. Seol wrapped her arms around her mother’s waist, for the first time in her life.

“Shhhh it’s okay, it’s okay.” So soothingly told as he patted her back, slightly confused with her emotional reaction.

Ha Jin pulled back and stared at the little girl on So’s lap. Seol looked at her hesitantly as she stuttered, “Eo..eomoni?” Ha Jin nodded and her daughter practically jumped on her.

For the first time in both her lives, as Hae Soo and as Go Ha Jin, she hugged her daughter. Go Ha Jin broke away from the hug to pepper kisses all over her daughter’s face, as the little princess giggled.

“Eomma is sorry that she could not be with you.” She whispered an apology, Seol was crying too, this was the first time she had met her mother in her life, “Uncle Jung always reads your letters and journals, eomma. Thank you eomma for the gifts.” Ha Jin gave a watery smile to her daughter, before hugging her again.

‘Soo never got to see her daughter grow and Seol never even remembered her mother, no wonder their reunion was like this.’ So thought.

A scroll fell near Go Ha Jin. She disentangled herself from her daughter and picked it up in confusion and read its contents. Once she finished, she looked at Ji Mong, “So everyone here are from the past?” The man in question nodded.

Her gaze traveled across the chamber, a chamber full of dead people, “Myung Hee unnie…Court Lady Oh…Pyeha…Eunie-nim…King Jeonjong…Queen Yoo…Woo Hee….” Finally, her eyes met that of Princess Yeon Hwa and she resisted the urge to slap her.

“Are you married?” Lady Hae asked, Ha Jin turned to look at the 8th Princess with a bright smile and a confused look, “No…I am not, unnie, why?”

“You had your hair tied, that’s why I asked.” Myung Hee softly smiled at the girl she considered a daughter.

As she noticed everyone gawking at her, she realized that her outfit was not exactly appropriate. She slightly blushed and told, “I did not know that I would be coming here, if I did, I would have worn a hanbok.” She defended herself.

“Women indecently show their legs and arms in the future?!” Princess Yeon Hwa shrieked. Ha Jin frowned at the princess, “It may be indecent for your time, but it is normal for us.”

“Such tight-fitting clothes too..” Queen Sinjeong muttered disapprovingly. Go Ha Jin rolled her eyes and put her blazer on.

“Are those shoes?!” Eun yelled in horror when he saw her stilettos. She smiled brightly at the 10th Prince before looking down at her heels.

“That looks like a weapon.” Park Soo Kyung said,

“How do you walk in those?” Jung asked, curious about the future.

“Yah, stop staring at her!” The 4th Prince warned everyone and proceeded to softly smile at Ha Jin.

“Wait this is after our first meeting right?” She looked at So who looked very confused. She mock glared at the prince and kicked him on the shin. “OUCH!” So yelled as his hands went to his throbbing shin, “That’s for throwing me off your horse.” She pointedly said.

Soo blushed in embarrassment.

Court Lady Oh and Lady Hae chuckled at that.

“I missed you, Your Highness.” She fondly told him as his seat elongated, making enough space for Ha Jin to join him. She sat right next to him and Seol jumped in her lap and held onto tightly.

Soo turned to her right and found a sheepish Woo Hee staring at her. She glared at the woman and flicked her forehead. “What was that for?!” The Hubaekje Princess winced.

“That was for….for doing the dumb thing that you did..” Ha Jin cryptically told. Woo Hee sighed.

Go Ha Jin held her daughter to her by one arm and wrapped her other arm around the 4th Prince. She sweetly smiled at him and rested her head on his shoulder. Said 4th Prince was deeply blushing at the woman’s actions. He never expected her to come here.

While some lingered on the words that were uttered before Lady Hae Soo entered, most of them turned to the screen.

“You can get a message to Baek ah-nim right?” Soo asked, her voice filled with anxiety.

Woo Hee smiled and nodded in response.

“Oh, this.” Ha Jin said as realization hit her.

Woo Hee winked at her in response.

 

 

 

Hae Soo entered a small room and closed the door behind her.

“He was on his way to Seokyeong but his arm got worse so he’s receiving treatment outside Songak. I have sent everyone away, so you need not worry.” Baek ah had told Soo earlier.

Ha Jin sent the 13th Prince a fond smile.

She saw the 4th Prince lying down on a mattress and was resting his head on a wooden block, unconscious. She slowly made her way to his side. It was clear that he was burning with a fever, most probably because of the wound.

“You should have gotten it treated immediately.” King Taejo said, concerned.

“I am sorry, Abeoji.” So bowed back, while failing to hide a smile. Ha Jin looked at him fondly, she knew he was happy that his father was concerned for him.

She took the small flask she had brought with her which was filled with alcohol and slowly cleaned the wound with it.

“You are using alcohol to clean the wound?!” Court Lady Oh looked at Go Ha Jin in confusion.

She nodded and everyone listened attentively, “In the future, alcohol is used to clean wounds. It makes sure that there is no infection and the wound is properly cleaned.”

“Wow,” The 8th Prince silently said as everyone took note of the piece of information.

When she was applying a herbal paste on the wound, she saw the 4th Prince’s eyes slightly open and look at her. The look of concentration on her face quickly changed into that of worry as his eyes closed.

It was now that she had finally finished treating his wounds, did her eyes go to the other scars on his body. His back was littered with scars, most of them looked like claw marks, as though an animal had scratched him. She slowly traced the scars as she thought, ‘How much have you suffered, Your Highness?’

Almost everyone turned to look at the 4th Prince who turned slightly to look at Hae Soo.

“Your scars do not bother me.” She whispered as she held onto his arm tightly, he nervously smiled back at her.

“How..how did you get those scars hyungnim?” The 14th Prince asked his elder brother.

The 4th Prince bitterly smiled as he told, “Shinju was not kind, Jung-ah. That and battle. I took part in a lot of battles while training with Grand General Park.”

 

 

 

 

Wang So woke up with a painful arm and a weak body and... from a strange dream. Lately, he was dreaming a lot about Hae Soo. She was always right next to him, smiling and holding him tight. He had dreamed that she was the one who had treated his wound.

Ha Jin scoffed, “I knew he was lying about not liking anymore.” Yeon Hwa glared at the woman who was sitting next to her 4th brother.

‘Surely it was a dream, there is no way she would risk her life and leave the palace, much less Songak.’ He thought as he sat up, holding onto his wounded arm.

“Of course, she would”

“Of course, I would”

Woo Hee and Ha Jin said at the same time. Both the women grinned at each other.

He looked around and was stunned when he noticed Hae Soo sitting on the floor with her back leaning on the wall, sleeping. ‘Of course, she would risk her life and leave the palace’ he thought with a silent sigh. It was so typical of Hae Soo to do something of this sort.

“My brother isn’t the benevolent kind. You should not have risked your life like that.” So chided, Soo smiled at him and told, “I’d risk anything and everything for you, Your Highness.” So blushed slightly.

He got up from where he was sitting and crouched down in front of Soo. He slowly stretched his unwounded arm to touch her face. His fingers were shaking as he guided them to caress her face, but he froze when she suddenly opened her eyes. He quickly put his hand down with a pounding heart.

“That’s why you were in front of me!” Soo exclaimed as she saw what had actually happened.

“I never expected hyungnim to be the romantic type.” Baek ah admitted.

The rest of the princes excluding the 4th Prince replied, “None of us did.”

Ha Jin scoffed, “Who said the 4th Prince is the romantic type? Do you know what he did during the first weeks of when we initially met? He-“

“Threw you off his horse?” The Crown Prince asked,

“Held his sword to your neck?” Eun continued,

“Threatened to kill you?” Jung offered.

“How…how do…how do you know?” Go Ha Jin stuttered, looking at the teasing grins on all their faces.

The 13th Prince grinned brightly, “We all saw everything! Including your amazing imitation of hyungnim, hyungsoo-nim.”

So glared at Ha Jin at that. Who looked at Woo Hee in horror, “They saw that?!” She sighed and nodded.

“Indeed we did.” So told her. Noticing his glare, Soo softly smiled at him, “I love you, So-nim.” She whispered. Which resulted in the prince staring at her in shock for a couple of minutes and then blushing deeply.

Seol giggled at her parents. Ha Jin kissed her daughter’s forehead with a mischievous smile.

Queen Sinmyeongsunseong stared at her son’s family in shock.

Soo straightened up and looked at him worriedly.

“Why are you here?” He asked in a cool, indifferent tone while looking the other way, not wanting to see the hurt on her face at his cold voice.

“Could you teach me how to do that?” Eun asked his elder brother, but before he could reply Grand General scoffed at his future son-in-law, “I doubt you’ll ever be able to look that cold, Your Highness.” Eun pouted and Soo softly smiled at the 10th Prince.

“I needed to ask you something. I asked Baek ah-nim for this favor.” Her voice barely above the sound of a whisper. Soo’s eyes were filled with nervousness.

“Thank you for blaming me hyungsoo-nim.” Baek ah told Ha Jin, who innocently smiled at him.

The 4th Prince could not take his eyes off the woman next to him.

“Ask me quickly and go back.” He told her.

“You still…haven’t forgotten me, have you?” She slowly asked, her eyes searching his for answers. So turned to look at her, “You said you no longer liked me….You were lying weren’t you?” She continued.

“Of course he was.” The Crown Prince, 8th, 10th, 13th, and 14th Prince said in union. Woo Hee chuckled at the embarrassed look on the 4th Prince and her best friend’s face.

Princess Yeon Hwa silently fumed.

“Go back home.” The 4th Prince got up from where he was on the floor and turned around, holding onto his aching right arm. Soo immediately got up behind him, “This isn’t the palace and the king is not watching. I wanted to ask you this. I risked my life and left the palace. There was not a day that I was not waiting in the past two years.”

So did not say anything and remained quiet as she continued, “I wanted to go back to that time. I wished for it again and again. So….I wanted to tell you…”

“I am sorry, Eunie-nim.” Ha Jin told the 10th Prince, tears in her eyes as she remembered his last moments.

“Do not worry, Soo-ya. It is not your fault.” He reassuringly smiled.

Her eyes filled with tears as she choked out, “I trust you.” She took a moment to compose herself and told her prince, “I will ask you again. Answer me, and do not lie. Answer me.”

Hesitance filled her voice as she asked, “Do you…still…love me?”

Ha Jin hid her face on her daughter’s back as So looked at her in confusion.

‘How could I not?’ the 4th Prince thought as all his thoughts froze, ‘Everyone be damned I will not throw her away again.’

Ha Jin smiled as she heard the 4th Prince’s thoughts.

So turned around and held her face tenderly in his hands as his lips met hers, finally, after 2 long years. Soo quickly overcame her shock and put her arms around his neck, bringing him closer to her.

“That’s why you’re hiding your face!” Baek ah exclaimed as everyone in the room chuckled at that. The 4th Prince continued to blush.

He slightly pulled away after a while to gaze at her face with tenderness, tenderness that she yearned to see for the past years. And when he gently wiped the tears from her eyes, it was like he had erased all the pain inside of her. Only the 4th Prince could do that to her. She missed the comfort and security his presence and simple ge stures were giving her. She missed everything about him.

“I missed you so much.” She softly muttered and looked at So from the corner of her eyes.

“Thank you Soo-ya.” So told in turn, she slightly turned to look at him. “Thank you for existing.” Go Ha Jin blushed.

He kissed her again and she kissed him back. Hae Soo was grateful that he had finally forgiven her.

“Soo-ya and Pyeha are always so adorable.” Woo Hee commented with a grin.

Ha Jin glared at the Hubaekje Princess, “They don’t know.” She hissed.

“Oh we do, your daughter told us.” King Taejo told. Ha Jin looked shocked at that.

Notes:

Our female lead is finally here!!

Also, cultural shock for everyone in Goryeo at seeing her outfit lmaooo. This chapter is basically my favorite part of the entire series. SoSoo couple enjoying time without no worries, together.

Yesterday was a great day for me so I was going to update Meaningless without You, since I had an update ready for that. But somehow the entire chapter got deleted, so I quickly typed this one out, hope you like it!

This is Go Ha Jin's hairstyle ---> https://cdn.codipop.com/images/celebrity/content/2258/Hotel_Del_Luna_Fashion_-_IU_-_Ep_3-1.jpg
If you've watched Hotel Del Luna, this is the scene where Jang Man Wol talks about Park Il Do (Our 4th Prince's cameo)

Also if you want to know what's the color I'm referring to,
then here you go ---> https://i.pinimg.com/originals/91/e3/3b/91e33b463168890f0eab0f18458cd48f.jpg
(That's also her stilettos.)

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter!

(Also, would you guys read a social media fanfic on JoonU couple or SoSoo couple in modern times?)

Chapter 21: Chapter Twenty

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Chapter Twenty

 

Wang So and Hae Soo were lying together. While Soo was asleep, So slowly brought his hand to Soo’s cheek, as though still shocked that she was beside him.

Ha Jin groaned and So blushed as most people around them chuckled.

Hae Soo drowsily opened her eyes when she felt So tenderly caress her face. He smiled at her, his eyes sparkling as though the stars were in them, Soo softly smiled back.  

Despite her obvious embarrassment, she could not help but smile at this. This night was the only time she was truly happy without anything else in her mind, in years.

The 4th Prince slowly sat up and told, “Let’s do something fun Soo-ya.”

“Like what, So-nim?” She asked, mischief sparkling in her eyes and filling her voice. The 4th Prince deeply blushed which resulted in Soo giggling.

“It seems you have not changed much.” The Crown Prince commented, chuckling at his brother and sister-in-law to be.

“You do not know how tired I am.” She continued to tease him and watched him turn even redder.

Eun’s eyes widened dramatically as Baek ah and Jung giggled like children. So and Ha Jin’s faces resembled a tomato.

“They did do…that?!” Eun mischievously asked.

Lady Hae looked scandalized at what was being insinuated, “Surely, they wouldn’t! They aren’t married!”

Court Lady Oh scoffed, “That does not stop anyone.”

Yeon Hwa was fuming and glaring at Hae Soo

“Be quiet now, think of something do.” He rushed out. She got up and looked at him before telling, “You know, you are younger than me.”

Everyone looked at Go Ha Jin in confusion. “Soo-ya you are younger than the 4th Prince.” Lady Hae said, not understanding what Soo was saying.

Soo smiled at her elder sister and replied, “Hae Soo was 14 when I came here, but I was 24, unnie.”

So looked at her in confusion, “Soo-ya you are 22 while I am 25. How am I younger than you.”

“So mentally you are older than him?” The 8th Prince enquired and Ha Jin nodded in reply

“I am only physically 22, before I came to Goryeo I was 24. Which means I am far older than you.” She chuckled at his annoyed expression.

The 4th Prince scoffed in indignation as Soo giggled at how he was pouting.

“You should call me nu’i,” Soo added on, enjoying how he was getting frustrated.

Jung, Eun, and Baek ah broke out laughing at what Soo had said. Seol giggled alongside her uncles as her father glared at her mother, who cheekily winked back at her prince.

His eyes suddenly sparkled as he asked, “Which year were you born in Soo-ya?”

She looked at him strangely as she replied, “1991, why?”

So pointed out, “You were born in 1991 while I was born in 925. Which means I am the older one.” Soo stared at him dumbfoundedly.

“The age difference between the both of you though.” Jung shook his head and the Crown Prince nodded his head as though in agreement with his statement.

“Yah, Yah that’s not fair. You cannot say that.” Soo pouted as the So laughed at her.

“Fine, fine, how about I teach you something?” He offered and Soo stared at him curiously, “Bring the candle here.” She got up from where she was sitting and lit the candle again and placed it where the 4th Prince told her to. He pointed to the door behind them and she could see their shadows.

Ha Jin smiled brightly at the curtain. “I was so happy that day.” She whispered. So turned to look at her in confusion.

“Shadow Puppets.” He grinned at her brightly as he held his hands together, Soo looked at the door to see a puppet wolf. The 4th Prince howled like a wolf while moving his hands as though making it look like the wolf was howling. Soo giggled at his cute antics.

Eun and Seol clapped their hands in excitement at what they were seeing.

He then positioned his hands in such a way that the shadow looked like a bird, the 4th Prince whistled like how the birds chirp as Soo stared at the shadow in amazement. She tried holding her hands together to make a shadow of a bird.

Seeing that she was doing it wrong, So showed her how to do it and she followed his steps, “It’s cute right?” He asked as she nodded in agreement.

The 10th Prince turned to look at his elder brother, “Hyungnim could you teach me how to do this too?” He asked, excitement clear in his voice.

“Abeoji taught me how to!” Seol cheerfully told everyone as So warmly smiled at his younger brother and nodded.

They then made shadows of two swans, “Come over here, come over here.” Soo told as both of them moved their hands closer.

“How did you learn all of this hyungnim?” The 14th Prince asked Wang So.

The smiles fell from the 4th Prince and Lady Soo’s face. Before the prince could say anything, Ha Jin held his hand tightly in hers and smiled at everyone, “It does not matter where he learned it now does it?”

So softly smiled at how she reacted, it still felt surprising that someone would care so much for his feelings, “It’s alright.” He whispered.

“I learned it at Shinju.” He told his younger brother, softly smiling at him.

So smiled at her fondly as his shadow bird covered Soo’s with it’s wing. Soo smiled back and could not help but notice how innocent and young he looked. She wished he could have grown up that way. She did not even want to think about how he would have learned to make these shadow shapes. Somehow, she felt that it had something do with the Shinju Kangs.

King Taejo sighed as Court Lady Oh glared at him.

Queen Yoo smiled at the sight of her son smiling so freely before controlling herself.

 

 

 

 

Sunlight shined through the windows as Hae Soo and Wang So sat in front of the table where their breakfast laid. Soo’s hair was tied up like a married woman’s hair usually is.

“You’ve grown into a beautiful woman, Soo-ya.” Myung Hee smiled at her 6th cousin, who warmly smile back.

Soo placed a mushroom on top of the 4th Prince’s rice bowl. So tried to pick the mushroom with his chopsticks but he could not properly hold the chopsticks with his right hand. His wound was hurting whenever he moved his arm. He tried with his left hand, but he still could not hold the chopsticks properly.

“I still can’t understand how you have changed so much.” Jung scoffed as the Crown Prince shook his head.

“Power has the ability to change anyone and everyone.” General Park commented.

“No.” Go Ha Jin’s voice rung out through the chamber.

Everyone turned to look at the woman who then continued, “Power tests a man’s character and will but it is he who has the choice to succumb to it or not.”

“Lady Soo is right.” The King approvingly smiled at the time traveler as the Queens begrudgingly nodded their heads in respect.

Queen Yoo could not help but think that the potential this girl had was wasted on her 3rd son.

Soo tried holding back a smile as she watched her prince adorably struggle with his chopsticks. She picked the mushroom up from the bowl and fed it to the 4th Prince. Instead of watching him struggled with his meal, Soo took his chopsticks and fed him the rest of the meal with a fond smile.

“Awwww that is so cute!” Baek ah cooed and Eun nodded in agreement, “They really are very adorable.”

“It is hard to find a love like theirs in our time.” Princess Woo Hee commented and most people agreed as the mentioned couple blushed.

 

 

 

Sunlight shined through the chamber as the 4th Prince rested his head on Soo’s lap. Hae Soo was slowly massaging his forehead.

“How are you so good at this?” So asked, enjoying his massage.

Soo fondly smiled at him, “I learned how to by going to a class about it. I wanted to work this kind of job.”

“Why would anyone want to purposefully work that kind of job?” Jung asked, confused.

“It makes me happy helping someone look prettier or helping someone feel relaxed.” Go Ha Jin replied to the question with a smile.

“You were going to classes, so you were a noblewoman? And they allow woman of that status to work these kind of jobs, befitting of a court lady?”

“She must have been disinherited there too.” Yeon Hwa airily commented, Yo could not help but chuckle at that.

Lady Hae turned to look at Ha Jin in concern, “Actually, everyone is allowed to study and choose what they wish to do in my time.”

The chamber stared at her in shock.

“Surely that isn’t the case? That sounds so chaotic.” Queen Hwangbo looked at Hae Soo in shock.

“That sounds so cool! Everyone can do whatever they wish to do in their life!” Eun exclaimed, pleased with the thought.

“It does sound very freeing.” Baek ah added, Lady Hae smiled at the 13th Prince at that.

“But it is not right. Why should peasants and others be given the right to study.” Queen Yoo disapprovingly said.

Ha Jin frowned, “The circumstances of your birth should not define your entire life.” Which shut everyone up (including the Queen)

Soo laughed at his question before replying, “In my time, it isn’t that only the nobility and the royal family go to classes and other such. Everyone is allowed to get education. It does not matter if you are rich or not. You can choose what job you want to do and I am far from nobility, I mean I do have a rich uncle, but we are just the working class.”

“WORKING CLASS?!” Everyone asked at the same time, shocked at what they were learning.

“She does have a rich uncle though.” Woo Hee added, trying to help.

“It is not a bad thing in my time, it simply means you are normal. Besides, there is no strict statuses where I am from. Which means that even if I am from the working class, I can work hard and become rich.” Ji Mong nodded in agreement as everyone processed what they just heard.

Wang So sounded surprised at that, “Wow! That sounds amazing! Which King allowed that practice? He must have been a great king.”

King Taejo nodded, “Indeed, he must have been a great king.”

Soo grinned, “The King who allowed education to be for everyone really was a Great King. He was the 4th King of Goryeo, King Gwangjong.”

“So Hyungnim?!”

“So?!”

Everyone stared at the 4th Prince, who looked at the woman beside him in shock. She nodded, “It is true, it was the 4th Prince who allowed education to be for everyone and not just the rich.”

“It seems my son does go on to become a great king. It assures me that you will go on to become a better and great man.” The King proudly smiled at his 4th son, who bowed to his father, So’s cheeks were hurting with how widely he was smiling.

Wang So sat up in shock and turned to look at her but he could only see honesty written all over her face. He pointed to himself, “Me..Me? I do such a great thing?!” He stuttered

“In fact, in my world. When we talk about Goryeo. Usually only three rulers are greatly mentioned. King Taejo, King Gwangjong and Queen Seoryeong.” Ha Jin commented.

“Surely, you mean Queen Consort Seoryeong.” Court Lady Oh asked the lady who shook her head in denial.

“Queen Seoryeong is the first ruling Queen of Goryeo.” Both, Queen Sinmyeongsunseong and Princess Yeon Hwa’s eyes sparkled and smiles erupted on their faces when they heard that.

“Ruling Queen?! What happens to the Wang Clan? All the sons died?” King Taejo enquired in concern.

Everyone could not believe what they were hearing.

“There was a king who had a son and daughter. While his son had no interest in ruling, it seemed that his daughter was sculpted for ruling, for becoming a Queen. Seeing the potential in his daughter and the fact there was only a couple of male royal family members who could challenge his decision. The King declared his firstborn, his daughter as Crown Princess. And that’s how Queen Yoo’s granddaughter became the first ruling Queen of Goryeo.”

Queen Yoo’s eyes snapped to Hae Soo, as everyone stared at the woman in shock.

“So you mean to say…” The 8th Prince slowly began. Ha Jin smiled at lifted her daughter in her arms, “Here she is. The first ruling Queen of Goryeo.”

Queen Yoo smiled brightly at that. Even if her second or fourth son did not become king, it was fine now. This girl, her third son’s daughter, she should become Queen, a Ruling Queen. Her granddaughter will become the next monarch of Goryeo, she will make sure of that, The Yoo Queen promised herself as she smiled at her granddaughter.

Soo nodded, “I do not remember much, because history was never my favorite subject, but I do remember that detail.”

Wang So smiled brightly at what he heard and pulled Soo on his lap and wrapped his hands around her waist and asked, “What did you want to become then?”

“Me? I wanted to start a place similar to Damiwon Palace. Except it is only about make up, massages and other such. I wanted to build not just one Damiwon Palace, but hundreds of them.”

“You are quite ambitious.” King Taejo remarked and Soo bowed her head.

“So, seeing that you returned to your own world. Do you achieve your dream?”

Go Ha Jin smiled brightly and nodded, “I do! I have many places in not just Korea, but in places like….Later Zhou too!” Court Lady Oh and Lady Hae looked impressed.

“Wow, my Jae Su is quite smart.” The Crown Prince commented. Soo smiled and bowed her head in gratitude.

So could see a spark in Soo’s eyes as she talked about what she wished to do but it quickly dimmed down when she continued, “But all of my dreams are gone now that I am here. Goryeo is far different from South Korea. Here a woman’s job is to marry well and boost her family’s status, they have no control over their fate. But where I come from, only I can write my own fate, no one else has that right.”

“I wish I could have been born in your world.” Princess Yeon Hwa said, stunning everyone in the chamber.

“Me too. It sounds like there is so much freedom there.” Prince Baek ah added.

Realizing that she was getting upset about her lack of freedom here, So quickly rushed out, “Family? What about your family? You know all about the mess that is my family, but I do not know anything apart from the fact that you have a younger brother.”

Soo could practically hear him pout, she chuckled and began, “My father died in an accident when I was 7. But before that, he would take my entire family to the mountains every other weekend and we would all sit and stargaze. That’s how I learned so many stars. We continued it even after he died. His job was to study the stars in the sky.”

“So your father was an astrologer?” Jung asked and Ha Jin shook her head in denial.

“My father did not predict the future. He studied the celestial bodies. The stars, the sun and the moon. I do not know how to explain it to all of you.” Ha Jin sheepishly said, looking to Ji Mong for help.

“It is a bit too advanced for this time.” Ji Mong added to quiet the princes.

“If your father died, how did your family manage?” The 8th Prince asked.

“My mother took care of us, of course.”

“You miss him?”

“Of course, I do. I just find it sad that I cannot even remember much of him.” She sadly smiled at So who pulled her to him in such a way that she was resting her head on his chest.

“You were very young.” Court Lady Oh nodded.

“Then is my mother, she is the best person in the entire world! She always supports my brothers and I in everything we want to do. She is a doctor. My brothers and I took her surname and not our dad’s. My dad is from Gyeongju Kim clan but my mom is from the Hoengseong Go clan.”

“You are a descendant of our clan then! Hoengseong Hae clan.” Lady Hae exclaimed.

“The Silla Royal Family too, judging by how you are a Gyeongju Kim.” Baek ah added on.

Ha Jin smiled at both of them and nodded, “Hae changed into Go later on, so I am a descendant of both the Haes and Kims. Ji Mong said that’s why I was able to travel back into the body of Hae Soo.”

Ji Mong nodded in agreement.

At the mention of the Hoengseong Go clan, Hae Soo turned to look at him with a excited look on her face, “Do you know us Hoengseong Go clan members are descendants of the Goguryeo Royal Family. In fact, we are more commonly known as Goguryeo Go Clan. So technically, I am royalty too.” She proudly smiled at the prince.

“Really?!” Queen Yoo asked in surprise.

“13th Prince Baek ah, Lady Hae and Lady Soo all share a common ancestor, King Bojang of Goguryeo. King Bojang’s 5th son, Prince Anseung married into the Royal Gyeongju Kim Clan and his children took on their mother’s clan name Kim. His daughter later on married her cousin brother and became Queen of Silla. Meanwhile, King Bojang’s 6th son, Prince Inseung founded the Goguryeo Go clan and is considered as the next head of the Royal family of Goguryeo, after his father.” Ji Mong explained, stunning everyone.

“So that means, Baek ah is the son of both Silla and Goguryeo.” Eun asked, wonder filling his voice. King Taejo nodded in agreement.

“Prince Baek ah unites all of the three kingdoms with his marriage to Princess Woo Hee of Hubaekje.” Ha Jin added.

“A very good beginning of a new nation.” General Park approvingly told to the King.

“My father famously said that Goryeo is the successor of Goguryeo and Balhae.” So commented.

King Taejo nodded.

She teasingly grinned at him, “Then, I am a princess too, aren’t I?”

So had an equally mishevious look on his face as he slightly bowed his head, “Yes, yes, greetings to you Gongju Mama.”

“It seems you will be a princess both by blood and by status then.” The 4th Prince whispered.

Go Ha Jin turned to look at him in confusion, “What do you mean?” she whispered back,

“You are a princess by your Goguryeo blood and you will be a princess by status once we get married.” So grinned and Soo blushed as she realized what he said.

Seol giggled at her parents being childish.

The sound of both their laughter rang throughout the chamber.

Notes:

I am so sorry for the delay. Due to medical reasons, I could not update earlier. I'll try to update as soon as I can. Tbh, according to my initial plan I was supposed to finish this book by August, but clearly I couldn't do so.

I hope you all liked this chapter and thank you so much for all your comments! Reading them motivates me to continue writing!

I spent almost 3 hours reading up on the Go Clan, Goguryeo Royal Family, and their connection to the Silla Royal Family, and it turns out Baek ah and Soo are very distant distant cousins. Something that I thought was very cool

Also, Would everyone like to see King Gwangjong here? I thought it would spice things up if Go Ha Jin finally met her Emperor Gwangjong again. Let me know what you think!

Since I will be finishing A Play of Time by mid-October-ish, I want to know what you guys would like to read next! Vote for what you'd like to read by going to this link ----> https://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=5f515ddfe4b048bb3274ab71

Chapter 22: Chapter Twenty One

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

Chapter Twenty One

 

 

The white glow that had brought Princess Woo Hee, Princess Seol, and Lady Soo had reappeared, and everyone was curious as to who would be arriving next.

“The person who will be arriving is next is someone that deserves to be here. He is from the same time as Princess Seol and is considered as one of the greatest men in history. He has worked hard day and night and ensured that the world he died in will be far better than the world he was born into. I expect that all of you will respect him according to his station.”

A silhouette could be seen in the white glow and Soo paled and her eyes filled with tears as she recognized who was arriving.

“Because the next person is arriving is the first Emperor of Goryeo, Emperor Gwangjong.”

Everyone around the room looked stunned at the revelation. Eun looked confused and pointed towards the 4th Prince, “But So-hyungnim is here.”

Ji Mong looked at the pale face of Go Ha Jin and said, “I think there is a very important reason as to why the King is here.”

“Emperor. He is an emperor” Go Ha Jin softly corrected.

“We don’t have an emperor in Goryeo.” The 8th Prince frowned, and the 4th Prince nodded while feeling concerned over how pale Ha Jin looked.

As the emperor walked out of the glow, everyone stared in shock. The man looked like he had aged over 20 years, the silver strands stood out obviously in his dark hair and the man looked like the title emperor was made just for him in his golden crown and majestic black dragon robe, looking every bit the king that he was.

Go Ha Jin delicately placed a confused Seol on her seat and stood up, practically frozen where she stood.

The emperor looked around the chamber in confusion and horror, as though he had seen ghosts and not his relatives, but it was when his eyes met Hae Soo’s, did he really blanch.

“Soo-ya….is that…is that really…you?” he stuttered as his eyes brimmed with tears as he saw the woman standing in front of him. Ha Jin could feel the tears fall down her cheeks as she softly nodded, unable to talk, and walked a few steps forward trying to reach him, but before she could do anything more Emperor Gwangjong rushed towards her and his two strong arms wrapped themselves around her.

It was the sense of warmth, the smell of old books, and the feeling of finally being home that finally broke her dam as Soo’s knees buckled and she hid her face in So’s chest crying while being enclosed in her lover’s arms.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry for leaving you alone.” She cried as she clutched onto him as though he were her last lifeline.

What followed next was a sight that no one could believe they were seeing, not even the 4th Prince. Emperor Gwangjong broke down into tears as he held onto her equally tightly, if not more than she did.

He burrowed his head on her shoulder as he sobbed, “I..I should be the-“ He could not even finish his words as his body wracked with a new wave of tears. The star-crossed lovers held onto each other and shed tears muttering things that no one could understand, leaving the rest of the chamber concerned as to what happens in the end.

The 4th King of Goryeo pulled back slightly to look at Hae Soo’s face and tenderly ran his thumb over her cheek as he softly said, ignoring the tears flowing from his eyes, “I…I did not know…If I had known…if I had known the letters were from you..I would have come Soo-ya…I would have…I thought..I thought they were from Jung…His name..Soo-ya forgive me…I love you so much…”

Soo shushed him and softly placed her hand on the left side of his face, “It’s okay….it’s my mistake too..I..I..broke..my promise-“ she choked back a sob before continuing, “My promise to you…I’m sorry for leaving you alone…”

Unable to resist himself and not caring about what anyone else will say, King Wang So’s lips descended down to the lips of the woman he had been longing for, for over the past 5 years. Ha Jin ignored the scandalized gasps of Lady Hae, Court Lady Oh, Princess Yeon Hwa, Queen Hwangbo, and Queen Yoo, and kissed her king with equal fervor, pulling the king closer to her by wrapping a hand around his neck and placing the other on his cheek.

A loud cough interrupted the reunited lovers, who looked startled at the sound they heard, if one were looking at the couple, they would have seen that the King’s arm tightened itself around the lady’s waist. Both of them looked at a stupefied 4th Prince and a slightly worried and very embarrassed Baek ah.

Regaining the ability to think sanely, the Emperor stood up and pulled Hae Soo along with him. Whose eyes shined with a sparkle which was not present before, not even when she was beside the 4th Prince. Her face was filled with love and adoration as she ignored everyone in the chamber to gaze at the man holding her.

While everyone knew that the 4th Prince and Lady Hae Soo shared a special bond, no one expected it to be like this. The Emperor looked at the woman in his arms as though she was the most precious thing in the world.

“So-ya?” The Crown Prince addressed the Emperor who immediately to look at the origin at the sound and stared at his elder brother in horror, “How..how in the world?” his voice sounding hoarse.

“So-nim, it’s okay. There is an explanation.” Soo consoled the King whose eyes immediately turned to look at the Royal Astrologer, who bowed to the king and then shrugged his shoulders.

Before anything else could be said, a scroll floated right near the 4th King of Goryeo’s hand. So opened the scroll with one hand, unwilling to let go of Hae Soo. Realization hit his tear-stricken face. Hints of his scar could be seen as well, but that was something that man could care less about.

“So no one knows anything about what happened since the day Soo-ya and Eun-ah fought?” Emperor Gwangjong questioned the Royal Astrologer, but before the man could say anything, Soo replied, “No, while they are from that time, they have watched many things. If I am not wrong, they have seen their future from the last days of King Hyejong’s reign till the last days of King Jeonjong’s reign.”

The King turned to look at her fondly and softly asked, “Did they see the attack?”

She shook her head in denial, “They’re currently seeing the time we were in that inn outside of Songak.” The Emperor nodded before a worried expression crossed his face as he opened his mouth as to ask her something, but before he could she answered, “I know…about the marriage certificate and everything.” He looked sheepish and once again opened his mouth to apologize but was surprised when Hae Soo stood on her toes and kissed his cheek, “Thank you.” She whispered with a soft smile.

The Emperor forced himself to turn away from the love of his life to look at the rest of the chamber, it seemed as though his hold on Hae Soo was the only thing keeping him calm and stable as his face turned paler by each face that he saw.

Queen Yoo stared jaw dropped at the son she threw away, the son who looked as though the heavens had crowned him king with his regal aura. Maybe it was true that her third son’s destiny was to become the King of Goryeo.

“Abeoji…why are there two of you?” Seol looked at her father, confused at what was going on, and it was then that the Emperor noticed the 4th Prince.

“Oh Buddha,” He whispered in slight shock and horror as he stared at his younger self.

“Did I really look that gangly?” He whispered to Soo who glared at him for that question.

“This is so strange…” The 4th Prince muttered as he saw his future self.

“Wait. Were you with him this whole time?” He questioned Soo, who tried answering, “I just came a little while back, so I haven’t been here for a while.” Before looking slightly perplexed as she asked the king, “Why did you refer to him like that, he is literally you.”

“My mind is not capable enough to process this.” The 10th Prince said as he watched the present and future versions of his brother glare at one and another.

The Grand General chuckled at what he heard the 10th Prince said and turned to look at the king, “How in the world did that son die of treason?” The King sighed, “The Royal family is very very strange.”

Hearing King Taejo’s voice, Emperor Gwangjong turned to his father and slightly bowed, “Abeoji.” King Taejo smiled and nodded at his son, “I have heard of what you have become, you have made me a proud father So-ya.” At the King’s words, the Emperor lit up with joy as the 4th Prince looked conflicted with himself, not sure if he should be happy or not.

The Emperor then slightly bowed to Grand General Park and his eldest brother, who proudly smiled at the King. As Emperor Gwangjong moved to hug his 10th brother, Ji Mong spoke, “Perhaps it is best if you sit down right now, Pyeha.” The Emperor simultaneously sighed and glared at the astrologer before going towards the 4th Prince and staring at the seat in confusion.

“Only two people can sit here.” 4th Prince Wang So said while glaring at his older self.

“Well then, Soo-ya and I will sit here.” 4th King Gwangjong replied with a slight smirk.

Go Ha Jin could not believe what was happening, she looked upwards as though she were asking the heavens for something and immediately a seat appeared in between the seats of King Gwangjong and Prince Wang So’s and the Grand General's seat. It looked like it would fit only one person.

She mouthed an apology to the Emperor before carrying her daughter and sitting on the seat, loudly announcing, “I will go mad if I see Wang So being jealous Wang So. Now those are fights I cannot and will not referee.”

The little princess giggled at her mother’s words.

It was late evening and Soo and So sat together outside as they both watched the stars. Soo’s left arm was intertwined with So’s right arm as they held each other’s hand. Soo’s head was resting on the 4th Prince’s shoulder while he was resting his head on hers.

“Ah..this was nice.” King Gwangjong commented as he sweetly smiled at Soo, “This was one of the last times we were so free.” She replied back with a wistful look on her face.

“Do you have to upset her?” The 4th Prince glared at himself as Ha Jin tried to save the situation, “I am not-” “You were the one who upset her a lot in the first place, I mean, what kind of prince throws his woman off his horse.”

Go Ha Jin looked at the Emperor as though he were insane while the 4th Prince growled at the 4th King of Goryeo.

“I would not want to be her right now,” Jung muttered as he watched his brother? Brothers? Insult each other? Insult themselves? By Buddha, he did not know.

3rd Prince Yo chuckled, “Who would want to be her? It’s perhaps her punishment for falling in love with a cursed beast like him.” Prince Jung glared at him and to both the 3rd and 14th Prince’s surprise, their mother joined him.

“At least he has kept the throne. Look at you!? His daughter goes on to become a Ruling Queen.” Queen Sinmyeongsunseong hissed in disappointment. Jung could not believe what he was hearing and seeing.

 

 

 

Notes:

There isn't much content-content here but that's cause I felt that SoSoo reunion deserved a chapter of its own. Tbh even though I had a bit more content left, I pushed off to the next chapter cause this was one of my favourite chapters to write and the word count is my birth year.

Vote for what you'd like to read by going to this link ----> https://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=5f515ddfe4b048bb3274ab71

Anyway, thank you so much for all you get well soon wishes! Love you guys <3

Chapter 23: Chapter Twenty Two

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

Chapter Twenty Two

 

“That square thing over there is called Pegasus.” Soo pointed the constellation out with her right hand.

“What is that?” Jung asked.

Ha Jin smiled and answered, “It’s a constellation. Basically a name given to a group of stars.”

“Pes…what?” The 4th Prince turned to look at her in confusion, “Pe-ga-sus.” Soo stressed on each syllable. Soo stared at So adoringly as he nodded hesitantly and repeated the word, “Pesus”

“I still can’t pronounce it right.” King Gwangjong bitterly said, Ha Jin giggled at what her love said before turning to look at her daughter, “Your father is so silly. Isn’t he?” she jokingly asked. Seol giggled along with her mother and nodded.

Both the So’s stared at Soo and Seol in indignation.

Go Ha Jin turned to look at So with a smile, “The only reason you cannot pronounce the word right is because it is of another language.”

“You know other languages?” Myung Hee asked, curious about this version of her darling cousin.

Ha Jin brightly smiled at her sister and nodded, “I do, I know 7 languages.”

Everyone stared at her in surprise. “You know seven different languages?!” Eun asked in shock.

Ha Jin nodded, “I know Chinese, Japanese, Korean and other languages of the west.” Most people in the chamber looked impressed at that.

“I have heard her speak one of those languages of the west.” The Emperor proudly said. Ha Jin sent him a fond look before nodding, “That was french.”

Soo and So both broke out laughing at how he could not pronounce the word properly.

Suddenly, Soo straightened up and stopped laughing. So looked at where she was looking and saw Ji Mong. He got up and placed Soo’s hand on her lap.

“How rude. Why must you interrupt them like this Ji Mong?” Baek ah shook his head in disappointment. He was getting quality SoSoo content, after all, only to be stopped by the Royal Astrologer.

“Baek ah is right.” The Crown Prince agreed.

“Hyungnim!” the 4th Prince exclaimed in embarrassment, while Ha Jin and her king softly laughed.

Hae Soo felt nervous when she saw the serious expression on the Royal Astrologer’s face. She could not help but tense up.

 

 

 

 

“The King is very ill.” Ji Mong began.

A hesitant Soo sat beside a very serious looking So as they both listened to what the Royal Astrologer had to say.

“The Monk was going to get some sacrificial rites. We thought we would give the King a scare so we chose a day dry lightning would hit. We had no idea that the monk would be hit by lightning and die in front of him.” The scene switched to King Jeonjong lying on the bed and the Royal Physician checking his pulse. A concerned looking Queen Yoo stood to the side while two Monks stood on either side of the King’s bed.

The 3rd Prince glared at the royal astrologer, “I cannot believe this.”

“The King saw him burned alive like that. He passed out on the spot and is very ill.”

“I cannot believe you have become so weak that, that almost kills you.” Queen Yoo shook her head in disappointment.

The scene switched back to Wang So and Hae Soo, who murmured, “Heart Attack.” So and Ji Mong looked at the court lady before turning back.

“What is that?” the 8th Prince enquired.

“It is a disease of the heart, it is what happens when you take too much stress and cannot say it aloud. All that stress goes to your heart. It’s what we call it in the future.”

“He has always been quite sensitive. That was too severe. He may be having a harder time with Mu hyungnim and Eun’s death than we realized.” So said, processing what he heard.

“How do you know….” Yo turned to look at his younger brother, King Gwangjong rolled his eyes as So pointedly told, “You cried when a court lady tripped over her skirts when we were younger.”

Everyone stared at the 3rd Prince. They could not believe what they heard. The 3rd Prince fiercely glared at the 4th Prince and looked back at the screen, pretending as though that piece of information was something he had never heard of.

Ji Mong nodded, “That is true. He started practicing Buddhism and began visiting the shaman often, as well. I think the time has come.” Soo’s eyes sparkled with realization as she turned to look at her prince, who looked very determined.

“So Hyungnim is going to be king now?” Baek ah asked and Emperor Gwangjong nodded.

 

 

 

Wang So stood outside the hanok, gazing at the sky. It was then that Hae Soo came and stood beside him. She looked straight ahead and asked, “Do you want the throne?”

“Obviously.” All the princes said together, resulting in Ha Jin to slightly blush before exclaiming, “I just want to confirm, okay!”

Emperor Gwangjong laughed when he heard what Ha Jin said in the end while Baek ah looked confused, “What is okay?”

Soo grinned, “You will soon find out, Baek ah-nim.”

So slightly turned to look at the steely look on Soo’s face and nodded, “I want it.”

‘And so it begins’ Soo thought. The way he said it, she knew that determined voice. This is one fight the 4th Prince will not back down from.

King Gwangjong sighed loudly, “How I wish I had backed down.” Go Ha Jin turned to glare at him.

“You changed Goryeo for the better. The Goryeo you were born into and the Goryeo you died in were completely different. Don’t you dare say that So-nim.”

“The reason you left me….was it because of the throne?” Soo asked

“The King used you to get to me. I thought it was best to distance myself from you because he would have continued to use me to bother you. But clearly, he did not care and continued to torment you”

So had noticed the previous night how her arms were littered with bruises. He knew that it was all gifts from his elder brother. Something that enraged him quite a bit.

Emperor Gwangjong glared at his elder brother, who at the moment was younger than him, “I have not forgotten anything.”

Soo’s eyes softened when she heard what the 4th Prince had said. She turned around to look at him, “What if I asked you to give it up?”

“Why would you ask orabeoni that?” Yeon Hwa scoffed.

King Gwangjong’s face turned dark when he heard her voice, “I forgot she was here too.”

“Because not all of us have a lust for the throne, Princess Yeon Hwa.” Ha Jin loudly said before turning to look at King Gwangjong, “I have not forgotten that you slept with her while I was in the palace.” Soo glared at the 4th King of Goryeo, who gulped in fear at his lady’s glare.

So turned to face Soo with a smile and replied, “I will persuade you until you say it is alright to do it.”

“You said you did not need to be king as long as we were together. You’re not saying it anymore.” Soo looked down in disappointment, slightly hurt.

“I would give up all of that to be with you Soo-ya.” King Gwangjong softly told Soo, taking her hand in his.

“I was foolish, so foolish in wanting the throne.” The King muttered. Soo’s eyes softened as she looked at the man who was her husband in all but name. She removed her hand from his and raised it to caress So’s left cheek as she softly replied, “To become King was your fate, Pyeha.”

“We agreed to not lie to each other.”

“I started this so that I could stop us brothers from having to kill each other. But, when I was building that palace, I realized that the world can change if the king changes.” Soo knew that look in his eyes, those small eyes were burning with determination.

So looked at her directly, “I won’t be controlled by anyone. Being King…is something I definitely want.”

“Being King is not so freeing. You are controlled by all of things and people.” King Taejo advised. So and Moo nodded while the Emperor sighed, “Don’t I know it.”

Noticing how Soo looked so upset, he added, “Why? You do not want me to be king?”

“I do not like it…However, I dislike being apart from you even more.” She sighed.

“Look how we ended up.” Ha Jin bitterly told before hugging her daughter tightly.

So smiled at her softly, “Thank you.”

“You will become king. I know it.” She firmly said but the strength in her eyes changed to concern as she continued, “Still, you must never…you must never ever harm your brothers. Can you promise me that?” So smiled and nodded.

“You care about all of us a lot, don’t you?” Eun asked curiously. Ha Jin nodded before smiling at the princes, “You all are like my own brothers, with the exception of the 4th Prince of course.”

He moved closer to her and took her hands in his, smiling reassuringly at her before taking her in his arms and embracing her tightly.

 

 

 

 

The Royal Guards standing outside the palace gates were looking at each other in worry as stared at the incoming army, “It’s the 4th Prince!” one shouted, “There’s an army coming! Close the palace gates!” The guards ran inside and shut the gates.

The scene shifted to Hae Soo in the King’s chamber, her hands were shaking as she poured tea for the king. King Jeonjong noticed how nervous the lady was and knocked the teacup off her hands when she brought it near him.

“This was what was happening before I entered, right?” Emperor Gwangjong turned to look at his Soo, who nodded at him.

“By Buddha, you look horrible hyungnim.” Jung shook his head in disgust.

“You…what are you hiding from me? Have you poisoned the tea or something?”

“I should not have told you the exact details of the attack.” Emperor Gwangjong sighed, Soo rolled her eyes at his overprotective nature.

“I was fine after that, I did not die by seeing King Jeonjong die.”

“Do not even jest about your death Hae Soo.” Emperor Gwangjong firmly said. It seemed the man still was not over the death of his beloved,

“No Pyeha. The court lady has already had a sip and tested it” Soo immediately said, bowing to the king in fear.

The King coughed, “Now that I am in this state and have given it some thought, it all started with you.” He glared at her and Hae Soo could only look up in confusion, “Pa..pardon me?”

The Crown Prince scoffed, “Blame your greed, Prince Yo. Do not go around blaming innocents.”

The 3rd Prince and the Crown Prince glared at each other.

“Mu, Eun, Eun’s wife. Even King Taejo. All those dead people are bothering me, and it is all your fault.” The King looked wild and deranged.

 “I made the decision to kill my brothers and become king. All because you helped So cover up his scar and take my seat. Because he took what was mine….” He said, madness in his eyes. Hae Soo stared at him, the fear she felt clearly displayed on her face.

Soo could not believe the ridiculousness of what she was hearing, “The 4th Prince has the star of a king. It is written by the heavens that he will become king. If anything, the 3rd Prince tried to steal what was his.”

Ji Mong nodded in agreement, “The stars show the heaven’s will and it is heaven’s will that 4th Prince Wang So be king.”

Suddenly, sounds of ongoing battle erupted around Cheondeokjeon, the king turned around wildly as the noise of swords hitting one and another increased. “PYEHA! Yo-ya!” The voice of the Queen Mother joined in as the woman entered the king’s chambers just as Soo slowly tried to leave.

“Wang So is revolting against you!”

“Surprise!” Jung muttered.

The Dowager Queen moved to get parchment and a brush dipped in ink and handed it over to her second son, “Yo-ya, write down that you will be abdicating the throne to Jung.” She coaxed her son.

The 3rd Prince turned to look at his mother.

“Do you not even care about your eldest living son?!” Court Lady Oh asked in horror.

“How dare you even ask me such a question! Of course, I care about my son.” Queen Yoo shrieked.

“Hurry now.” The Queen Mother said as she placed the brush in her son’s hands, “What…” The King stared at his mother. “We cannot lose the throne. Hurry! Write down that Jung is to be the new king. Then we can plan for the future. Go on.” She tried to convince her son.

“Eomoni I do not wish to be king!” Jung turned to look at his mother in disapproval.

“I have never wanted to be king.”

“How could you eomoni? How could you do that to me?” He slowly asked, looking at his mother in betrayal.

Wang Yo stared at his mother in betrayal as he choked out with tears in his eyes, “Then…what about me? Am I even your son? What am I to you, eomoni?” The Queen Mother did not have any reply to her son’s questions as he controlled the tears in his eyes, “Am I just something that exists to sit on the throne? Do you no longer have any need for a son who isn’t the king anymore?” he screamed as he forcefully removed his hand from his mother’s grasp.

The 3rd Prince bent down and held his head in his hands, unable to process what was going on.

“Yo-ya, don’t be this way. We will lose everything if you do this. Hand it over to Jung, please.” The Dowager Queen panicked.

“You truly have outdone yourself this time around.” Queen Hwangbo commented and got a glare in turn from the Yoo Queen.

King Jeonjong coughed before composing himself and said, “Now I think I understand So. I can relate to how he feels.” He turned to look at the Queen Mother before loudly ordering, “Take the Queen Mother out of here!”

The 4th Prince looked at his 3rd brother in surprise.

“Never thought I’d hear that.” The Grand General commented.

The Queen Mother stared at her son in horror as the eunuchs stationed outside the king’s chambers entered, “Yo-ya, do not do this, Yo-ya, Yo-ya!” the Queen Mother called out her son’s name desperately as the eunuchs removed her out of the chamber.

Queen Yoo looked at her son in anger, “How could you do that to me, Yo-ya?!”

“How could you do that to me, Eomoni?!”

She thrashed around, trying to stop them as she shrieked, “Let go of me! Let go of me, at once! Let me go!” The King glared at the retreating back of his mother.

“I have always supported you in everything you do and have done, and this is how you repay me, Eomoni. What I did in the future was right.” The 3rd Prince firmly said.

Soo turned around to leave the king’s chambers when she heard the sound of a teacup breaking near her. She froze and turned around, her body shaking with fear as the king neared her.

King Gwangjong held his Queen’s hand tightly, concerned for what was going to happen.

“You already know what happens, So-nim.” She comforted him.

 

 

 

Dowager Queen Sinjeong paced in her chambers when Princess Yeon Hwa rushed in, “I cannot reach Wook-orabeoni yet. Grand General Park is with So-orabeoni. The palace men will not last long” She stopped midway of her sentence when she noticed that her mother was not clearly paying attention to her.

“Eomoni…?”

The Dowager Queen turned to look at her daughter, “Depending on what you decide, I will go along with you…..I knew after I saw your brother, what I forgot to teach you. If you want to own the palace, you must sacrifice something.”

Wook turned to look at his mother in surprise, “Eomoni, how could you…?” Yeon Hwa had an identical look of surprise etched on her face.

Princess Hwangbo Yeon Hwa stared at her mother in shock, “Eomoni…”

“You must decide now. You can have the entire world and lose love or you can have love and live in a very small world.”

“I never knew you were this cunning, Queen Sinjeong.” King Taejo disapprovingly said.

A smile erupted on the Princess’ face as she asked her mother, “What if I were to want the whole world?”

King Gwangjong and Soo looked at each other, fury burning in their eyes as they understood what the mother-daughter duo had planned.

Dowager Queen Sinjeong slowly replied, “Then I….will throw Wook away.”

Wook could feel tears brimming in his eyes as he looked at his mother, “Eomoni…”

“This is in the future Wook-ah. I would never do this to you. You know me.” The 8th Prince looked conflicted but was comforted slightly when his wife interlocked her hand with his.

Notes:

I hope you liked this chapter! Expect the next update soon!

Vote for what you'd like to read by going to this link ----> https://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=5f515ddfe4b048bb3274ab71

Chapter 24: Chapter Twenty Three

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Chapter Twenty Three

 

 

"I have come to attack the palace that I have always protected," Grand General Park commented as he stood in front of the king's courtyard alongside the 4th Prince and the 13th Prince, all of them dressed in battle armor.

King Taejo chuckled as the Grand General shook his head in disbelief.

The palace gates were closed as So had expected but when he raised his sword and as the soldiers behind him roared a battle cry, the gates had opened, and Princess Hwangbo Yeon Hwa came out with soldiers behind her.

Yeon Hwa smirked while King Gwangjong and Go Ha Jin frowned.

“I cannot help but hate her.” Ha Jin muttered. King Gwangjong smiled at her in agreement.

So raised an eyebrow in confusion not knowing why the princess had opened the gates. Yeon Hwa bowed in front of him along with the soldiers.

“I will help you enter the palace without any bloodshed, So-orabeoni.” She said, smiling at him.

“And in return she will get a crown.” Soo sadly stared at her beloved. While Gwangjong had noticed, the younger Wang So did notice the sad look on her face.

“I will not forget your loyalty.” So promised his sister.

Queen Sinjeong stared at her daughter, she could not believe that she and her daughter had become so power hungry in the future. She did not understand how her future self could throw her own son away.

 

 

 

 

King Jeonjong began to laugh as though he had gone insane as he got up from his bed and moved towards Soo, “I knew that he would end up getting everything.” Yo laughed hysterically.

The 4th Prince looked at his elder brother in surprise, never expecting him to say anything of this sort, while Emperor Gwangjong turned to look at Ha Jin questioningly, who sighed and nodded.

The 3rd Prince ignored everyone’s surprised yet questioning looks and continued to watch what was happening.

“What did I do so wrong? I was afraid that I would be thrown away as well. Just like So was. I thought I would be cast off as well.” He said with tears in his eyes as he fell to the ground, clutching at his chest, right above his heart.

“It just goes to show how well of a mother Queen Yoo is.” The Hubaekje Princess shook her head in disgust.

“Not a good Queen and now, not even a good mother.” Court Lady Oh scoffed at the Queen, whose eyes burned with fury at both the woman’s comments, the only reason had not began screeching at the two of them was the 14th Prince’s hand holding her back.

The King choked out from where he was on the floor, “Eomoni said to me that I was complete and not lacking in anything, yet….”

“I still cannot believe you abandoned me eomoni.” 3rd Prince Yo shook his head in disbelief, still trying to process what his mother had done and his sorry state.

“It is all because of you. Because you got involved, you wench!” He screamed as he pushed her to the ground.

“Why are you blaming Soo for your mistakes?” Eun glared at his elder brother as the other princes nodded in agreement.

Soo stayed on the floor as the king continued to talk, “You should choose.” He said as brought a piece of parchment and a brush dipped in ink. He began coughing continuously as Hae Soo clutched her heart and stared at the king in fear.

“How could you?!” Queen Yoo stared at her son in horror. Wang Yo rolled his eyes at his mother before replying, “How could you abandon almost all your sons eomoni?”

“Plus, its obvious to see I’m delirious in my pain.”

“Who should I give the throne to? Choose. Wook? Baek ah? So? You’re so great why don’t you choose?!” He hysterically asked as he wrote his last decree.

“Find the King now!” a voice was heard saying as men, who Soo assumed were soldiers entered Cheondeokjeon in search of the king.

“Tell me!” He shrieked at her as collapsed into coughs as Soo remained silent and frozen in front of the king.

Gwangjong saw Soo holding Seol close to her heart, while she had her eyes shut, unable to relive through some of the most traumatizing moments of her life.

He took her hand in his and held it tightly, smiling when he saw that the tense look on her face turned slightly relaxed. He also relished in the feel of her hand held in his, it had been years since he had held his Soo like this.

King Jeonjong scribbled something on the parchment and held it out to Soo who only crawled away, shivering in fear as the king clutched his heart and fell to his feet, his last breath leaving his body.

Despite the 3rd Prince’s actions, all the brothers felt a bit sorrowful as they watched their brother’s last moments.

Queen Yoo and King Taejo could feel tears prickling in their eyes.

“I was only trying to survive.”

“Aren’t we all?” Grand General Park commented, feeling pleased at the way the man who killed his daughter died.

Soo backed away from the late king’s body, choking back tears. She tried to breathe as she clutched on to her chest, Soo felt as though her lungs had stopped working.

Both So and King Gwangjong turned to look at Ha Jin in concern, only to be slightly reassured by her strained smile.

The sound of doors being thrown open and someone marching in made Hae Soo open her eyes only to see her 4th Prince enter the King’s chambers. He froze mid-way as he saw his elder brother on the ground and a whimpering Soo near him.

“What a scene this paints though.” Baek ah commented.

“You almost made my heart stop you know. I thought something happened to you.” Emperor Gwangjong shook his head.

Soo felt as though she could finally breathe again when she saw the 4th Prince. She closed her eyes again and took a couple of deep breaths, while still clutching on to her aching chest. Hae Soo could feel everything around her shake as she tried to compose herself.

“You should have gotten it treated long time ago.” Gwangjong shuddered as his eyes filled with pain, remembering that in his world, Soo had died.

Myung Hee looked at her cousin in worry and concern.

Wang So took the last decree of the king out of King Jeonjong’s hands and read it. He stared at the decree before turning to look at Soo, “Soo-ya, did you read it?” he asked, who shook her head in denial.

So tore up the decree and threw the pieces of the parchment near the fallen body of the late king.

Everyone stared at King Gwangjong in shock at what he had done.

“YOU CANNOT JUST TEAR THE LAST DECREE OF THE KING!” The 3rd Prince roared as he stood up from where he sat.

The 4th Prince had a slight smirk on his shocked face as he turned to look at his future self, who was full on smirking, “Well guess what hyungnim, I just did.”

“Move! I told you to move!” The Dowager Queen’s voice was heard as she made her way through the guards, court ladies and eunuchs positioned outside the king’s chambers.

She stared at the late king’s body in shock as she whispered, “Yo-ya…” The Royal astrologer entered the chamber at the exact time. Everyone stood frozen at the dead body of the king.

The Dowager Queen stared at the dead body of her second son in shock, as though as she could not believe that he was dead.

“You should choose.” The 3rd King’s voice echoed in her mind as Hae Soo stared at Wang So.

Choi Ji Mong smiled as he looked at his fellow time traveler, “The King Maker.” He softly chuckled.

‘King Gwangjong’ she thought as she went on her knees and prostrated herself in front of the 4th Prince, “Greetings to the new king. Long, long, long may he live.” She breathed out, trying to ignore the light headedness she felt.

“Lady Hae Soo crowned him?!”

“Soo crowned him?!”

“I don’t think she’s allowed to that…”

Shouting and confusion broke through the chamber as everyone’s voices overlapped.

“SILENCE!” King Taejo’s voice rendered the chamber silent with his order, looking annoyed at everyone, he spoke, “I’m sure we’ll find out what are the consequences if we sit quietly and continue to watch patiently.”

Many of the princes flushed in embarrassment and nodded before looking straight at the screen.

“What do you mean by king? What do you mean by king?!” The Dowager Queen questioned as her eyes moved in between the court lady and the prince.

“The King gave me the throne before he passed away. He abdicated to me.” So said as he turned to look at his birth mother.

“Of course you would lie about a matter as serious as this.” Queen Yoo scoffed.

“Greetings to the new king!” Ji Mong said as he fell to his knees and the guards echoed his words as everyone except the Dowager Queen, bowed to the new king.

“And he’s finally king.” Crown Prince Moo told his father, who nodded at what he heard, feeling satisfied that his son had fulfilled his destiny.

 

 

 

 

The 4th Prince looked every inch the king he was destined to be in his coronation robes. He entered the court room, his figure alone looking regal and imposing, his chosen ministers following him in the procession.

“He looks glorious.” Yeon Hwa whispered as she watched her brother’s handsome figure in awe.

“It is his destiny to be king!” The Royal Astrologer announced right before the Grand General pulled him down to make sure that the man does not start going on again and again.

Princess Yeon Hwa and Prince Baek ah stared at their brother in pride and admiration as he made his way to the throne.

14th Prince looked deeply upset seeing his elder brother being crowned the King of Goryeo, while the 9th Prince only had a snaky smile on his face.

“I thought you supported So-hyungnim?” Eun asked.

Jung looked unsure as he replied, “I think it’s because of the three years of King Jeonjong’s reign.”

King Gwangjong took the gold dragon statuette from the royal astrologer and lifted it up high as the echoes of ‘Long Live the King’ erupted around the throne room, with ministers and royal family members bowing in union.

Despite the pride King Taejo felt at his son’s coronation, he could not help but worry about what the consequence of his decision would be, for his son had chosen to bind himself to a golden cage.

 

 

 

 

Hae Soo was standing outside in the courtyard, feeling a bit strange dressed in the attire of an unwedded noble lady after long years of only wearing the Head Court Lady’s uniform.

Jung’s jaw dropped when he saw Soo. She looked so pure and beautiful.

Baek ah noticed this and rolled his eyes.

Wang So’s face was completely red as he saw Hae Soo, he could not believe that this woman whose beautiful inside-out, loves him. She chose him.

Meanwhile Emperor Gwangjong looked like a lovestruck puppy, something that made Ha Jin and Seol giggle.

She turned around to look at Cheondeokjeon and could not help but smile with pride when she saw the 4th Prince exit Cheondeokjeon. He was wearing a grand black color dragon robe and had secured his hair in a topknot with a golden hairpin. He looked like every inch the king he was destined to be.

“Wow hyungnim! I have never imagined you as king. But now that I have seen you in those dragon robes, I cannot get it out of my mind!” Eun complimented his elder brother. Both the 4th Prince and the Emperor blushed hearing such praise.

‘Gwangjong’

‘He is the 4th King of Goryeo. He is Gwangjong’ Soo thought as So walked outside of Cheondeokjeon’s halls.

“I keep forgetting she knows our nation’s future.” Myung Hee shook her head while Wook smiled at her fondly.

Hae Soo looked at him in slight awe as she remembered what she learned in history, ‘Now, you will no longer be remembered in history as a bloody monarch. I will help you.’

Everyone turned to look at Go Ha Jin, who could not help but sigh, “The King Gwangjong of my previous time was known as a bloody monarch and other such. I know not why, for I was never the one for history. However, when I returned back to the future, quite a lot had changed, including that title of ‘bloody monarch’.”

The King and his court lady smiled at each other.

Woo Hee and Myung Hee softly smiled at Hae Soo being happy.

Notes:

I thought to update this sooner, but instead, I found myself writing chapters of my other books, so here it is! I think there are only 10-12 chapters left. So expect 1 chapter of fluff and rest of complete angst. As much as the show's ending completely broke me, I love and enjoy angst, so this book may have more of that in comparison to the drama.

(Yes I know this chapter is a bit smaller than usual, but that's kind of cause I ended up writing over 4k words for one of my other books. Which I will be updating soon!)

Also, I read a lot of the comments and felt that you guys thought that Queen Yoo was Pro-So now and decided to throw Yo away. That isn't what i was trying to imply. I've always felt that Queen Yoo was a woman who would have climbed her way to power, especially considering the fact that she was a woman. As such, when she finds out that one of her grand daughters would become a Ruling Queen, she most certainly wants in on all that power and glory. I hope that makes sense! Feel free to comment if you want any other clarifications!

Thank you for reading!

Vote for what you'd like to read next by going to this link ----> https://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=5f515ddfe4b048bb3274ab71

Chapter 25: Chapter Twenty Four

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

Chapter Twenty Four

 

 

Wook looked like he was about to explode. Everyone he thought would side with him had now sided with So.

King Taejo and Queen Hwangbo sighed in resignation.

“I cannot recognize you.” Myung Hee told the 8th Prince, who looked weary as he replied, “Neither can I, neither can I buin.”

His mother told him that the Hwangbo household will use their influence to push for a queen and not a king because she was very upset at how much he had changed.

‘The further you go astray, the more you will suffer. It is better to distance yourself from the royal family.’ Dowager Queen Hwangbo’s voice rang through.

“I trust nothing of this sort will happen in the future?” The King wearily asked with a steely look in his eyes.

Queen Hwangbo and the 8th Prince shook their heads, “We would never dare.”

Distance myself from the royal family? Leave So alone? I could never do that. I will never let him have a peaceful reign. I will do everything to make sure that he will end up like Mu and Yo. He would go crazy sitting on the throne.’ Wook thought.

Emperor Gwangjong glared at Prince Wook, he looked ashamed what was being heard.

“Forgive me.” He whispered.

"Why didn't you come to the coronation?" Yeon Hwa asked, entering his study and further angering him. "What if people get the wrong idea?"

"When I arrive in Seokyong, Wang Shik Ryeom had already died. They said that he was gravely sick for months but I was never informed about that," Wook said, getting angrier as he remembered what happened in Seokyong, how he had been deceived, how he had walked straight into that trap.

Queen Yoo and Wang Yo turned to look at So in shock.

"So's men immediately placed me under house arrest. When they released me, the owner of the throne had already changed. You helped So even though you knew how much I wanted that seat... and after all that I did to sit on it! After you cornered me into going after that seat... you will abandon me like this?! How could you do this to me, Yeon Hwa?!"

“Yeon Hwa?!” Wook and Myung Hee alongside with the entire chamber turned to look at the Princess, who immediately feigned shock, “I would never do such a thing Pyeha! How can I know of what my future-self is thinking?” She bowed her head in fake obedience.

"I helped So because I want to stop you from going after the throne," she said, intensifying his rage. "You don't need to chase after the throne anymore, Wook. Help me instead. Help me become a queen and I will repay you for all the pain that you suffered because of my foolishness back then."

Wang So turned to look at Yeon Hwa with disgust on his face and promised, “I will never marry you, never. It disgusts me how low you stoop.”

“Orabeoni I-”

“Do not, Yeon Hwa.”

Emperor Gwangjong nudged Ha Jin and smiled at her, her harsh glare on Yeon Hwa immediately softened upon meeting her So’s eyes.

"You will never be able to repay it all," Wook said, trying to calm his rage.

"Wook, you want Hae Soo, right? You can go after her now. I will not go against it any longer. I can help you with her."

“I am NOT an object!” “She is not an object!” “Soo is not an object!” Ha Jin, Woo Hee and Myung Hee both shrieked. The 8th Princess stood up from where she sat and swore at the princess, “Once we go back to Songak, there will be no place for you in my household, Princess Yeon Hwa. The Hae clan has helped the Hwangbos a lot, for not to just bear insult like this. I refuse to accept this.”

A worried Queen Sinjeong stood up alongside a tensed Baek ah.

“Myung Hee-” “Please do not.” Myung Hee requested before shooting a calming smile towards Baek ah, who then returned to his seat.

"I cannot have her heart back. I lost her because you tried to poison Mu back then... because you want me to go after the throne. And now you want me to stop and go back to her? Do you think it will be that easy? Do you think you can help me change her heart?" he seethed, staring fiercely at Yeon Hwa.

"Then... are you giving up on her?"

"Go away," Wook said not wanting to talk about Hae Soo when he was already so angry and depressed.

“She’s like our daughter.” Myung Hee whispered, heart sounding as though it was broken

“Wook..."

"Go away!" he bellowed, slamming a fist on the table and Yeon Hwa could not do anything but to listen to him.

Get her back? How can I get her back if So is still around?

“I hope we can prevent all this from happening once we return to the future.” King Taejo ended everyone’s whispers.

 

 

Wang So was reading endless requests from the nobles the entire day. He was getting tired of it all but since he promised to change the nation, he should start doing his work properly and focus on every national issue.

“It looks like it takes a lot of work to be an efficient ruler.” Jung commented.

“It does.” Both King Taejo and the Emperor said at the same time, causing the younger man to flush.

"Moving the capital to Seokyong..." he put down the scroll and said. "Issue a decree that it is completely canceled. The forced laborers displaced by this construction will be repaid according to the duration of their service and returned to their homelands."

"What about those that died in service?" Baek-Ah asked.

"Do whatever their families want. Guarantee them jobs or compensate them with goods. Do the same for those who got injured," he instructed, grateful that he could finally put an end to the sufferings of the workers on that construction.

Both Grand General Park, Crown Prince Moo and King Taejo nodded in approval of his decisions. Agreeing that what he did was correct.

"Then... are we done for the night?"

“I wonder why he asks that?” Baek ah sang in a whimsical yet wistful tone, which got him a blush from Soo and two identical glares from both the So’s.

"Yes," Baek-Ah said, putting his plume down when he had finished writing everything that Wang So had said.

"Your Majesty, Lady Hae Soo is waiting on your room," the eunuch standing opposite of Baek-Ah had said.

“Of course, you are!” Woo Hee and Baek ah teased.

“I did quite a lot of work, alright!” Go Ha Jin defended herself.

Wang So smiled and stood up to meet with Hae Soo on his room and he motioned Baek-Ah to come with him.

“Hyungnim is in love, it is easy to understand.” Jung said,

Notes:

And here it is! How have all of you been as of late? I apologize for updating so late! I promise to try and update more often in the upcoming year!

I hope you liked this chapter!

Chapter 26: Chapter Twenty Five

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Chapter Twenty Five

 

Hae Soo made sure that the king's room had been cleaned and everything was replaced. She wanted him to feel comfortable in that room rather than depressed. She wanted him to remember good memories when he looked around that room and not the sad ones, not King Hyejong's sufferings, not his father and King Jeongjong's death.

“You are too sweet and naive Soo-ya.” Woo Hee told her with a concerned sigh.

“How would this world be if no one was sweet, Woo Hee?” Ha Jin returned with a sad yet soft smile, before continuing, “I like to believe I am better now.”

Woo Hee looked at her with a worried and concerned look.

She adorned the room with his armor, sword, and even his favorite mask. He told her before that all his masks were given by his father but that one was special for him because he came with Jimong when he had given it.

“You truly are the best Soo-ya, I do not know what I did to deserve you,” Gwangjong told Ha Jin with a smile.

“I agree with what he said.” The 4th Prince agreed with a firm nod.

Soo smiled at both of the versions of So and fondly smiled, “You are too silly. You deserve the world So-nim.”

She replaced the pillows and she also put the blanket that she had given him on his birthday. She decided to make him more blankets with embroidery like that. Prince Baek-Ah told him that So liked it very much. No wonder that it looked already worn out.

“It must be nice to be hyungnim, getting pampered so much by the woman he loves.” Baek ah teased.

“Baek ah!” Emperor Gwangjong protested and So flushed, while Woo Hee, Soo, and Seol giggled.

Grand General Park, Ji Mong, King Taejo, and Crown Prince Moo looked at the family with a fond smile.

When she made sure that the room was clean, she went to the kitchen to personally prepare the king's evening meal. The servants there in the kitchen were all willing to help her and she was tremendously grateful to them and to their concern for every member of the royal family.

She returned to So's room and arranged the food on the table.

She sat on the floor and leaned on the bed.

‘How long should I wait before he returns? The food will get cold.’

“Wah hyungsoo-nim really-” Eun began but was immediately shut down by the glares coming his way from not one but two So’s.

She yawned. She was not good at waiting without doing anything. She should have brought something to do.

“Do you know how to do needlework Soo-ya?” Myung Hee asked, curious about what this new person knew.

Ha Jin nodded, “I do know it to some amount, but I am not that good at it. I am better at designing things rather than needlework.”

Queen Hwangbo sniffed, “Any proper lady should know how to do her embroidery properly.”

Soo bowed her head and replied, “Forgive me for not knowing embroidery, I did not have time to learn the skill as in my world I am too busy running an empire.”

“EMPIRE?!” Almost everyone in the room exclaimed in surprise.

Soo smiled shyly, “It is a bit tough to explain, but I think empire is the only word I can use to describe it.”

Everyone stared at the young woman in shock.

Her eyes were getting heavier... until she had fallen asleep...

 

 

 

"Soo?" So softly called his love’s name out.

Hae Soo woke up hearing that beautiful voice and she smiled upon seeing So. But he had returned to the chamber with not only Baek-Ah but one of the royal eunuchs in tow.

Queen Yoo scoffed, “I cannot believe he is kneeling before her in front of everyone, he truly does not know decorum.”

Emperor Gwangjong rolled his eyes at that and did not bother to reply to the comment.

She immediately got to her feet and bowed to the king in front of her, “Were you here?”

Understanding her hesitance, So immediately dismissed the eunuch. Hae Soo pouted at the teasing grin on Baek ah’s face.

Woo Hee and Myung Hee both shot a smile at the couple.

"I'm sorry for making you wait that long." So said once the eunuch had left

"Don't worry about me," Hae Soo said, taking his hand. "Worry about yourself. I know you are already tired and hungry. I prepared dinner. Let us all eat."

"You are right," he sighed and then smiled. "I am tired and hungry. Baek-Ah, join us."

The Thirteenth Prince nodded and the three of them sat on the table filled with food.

"You prepared plenty of food again," Wang So said with a wider smile. "Here, Baek-Ah. You like this, right?"

He put the meat over his rice and to their surprise, Baek-Ah stood up and said, "Your grace is overflowing, Your Majesty."

So frowned and looked at his younger brother, “Why did you do that?”

“Because you became king?” Baek ah asked confusedly, not sure about what’s going on himself. Woo Hee rolled her eyes and replied, “It is because Baek ah can be an idiot sometimes.”

Moo, Wook, Eun, Jung, and Myung Hee laughed at that, alongside Soo, Seol, and Emperor Gwangjong, while Baek ah pouted.

Princess Yeon Hwa, alongside with Court Lady Oh, Queen Hwangbo, and Queen Yoo looked affronted at the Hubaekje Royal Princess insulting a Prince of the blood like this.

“What has the world come to.” Court Lady Oh shook her head but could not help but let a smile at the happy faces of all the youngsters.

Emperor Gwangjong turned to look at his younger self and whispered, “Do not worry, he goes back to normal soon.” The 4th Prince relaxed at that.

"Stop that," Wang So said, looking a little annoyed. "It is only the three of us in here. Just address me as your brother. Only you deserve to do that."

“Hyungnim!” Eun and Jung protested.

So turned to look at Gwangjong, who grinned at both of them and said, “Yes, yes, both of you too.”

"Yes, Your Majesty," Baek-Ah said and he really seemed tense as he sat back on his chair and eat.

“I really cannot believe him.” Myung Hee shook her head.

Ha Jin turned to look at her with a teasing smile, “Do not worry unnie, he’ll go back to his usual, annoying self soon enough.”

Baek ah’s indignant, “Hey!” was drowned out by both of the Hae Clan women’s giggles.

Woo Hee patted his shoulder and told, “Do not even try, you will not be able to defeat them, that I am certain.”

It was strange of him to act so distantly towards So. It was upsetting and annoying. He should not act like that and add to his brother's stress.

“When Moo and So become King, he will face a lot of difficulties. When he is tired, it is only the family that will be able to soothe his weariness. You should be by his side and support him, instead of distancing yourself.”

Baek ah, Eun, and Jung nodded and chorused, “Yes Pyeha!”

Hae Soo held Prince So's arm and smiled naughtily at him. She motioned for him to just stay quiet and let her do something.

Ha Jin and Emperor Gwangjong shared a grin, remembering what happened.

So only smiled and nodded so Hae Soo quietly stood beside So and put food over Baek-Ah's plate.

“Oh Buddha, this is going to be hilarious,” Eun commented, grinning in anticipation of what was to come.

Baek-Ah quickly got to his feet and thanked the king again but stopped when he saw that it was Hae Soo and not So.

All the Princes except Baek ah broke into laughter, along with Ha Jin, Myung Hee, Woo Hee, the King, and the Grand General.

The 13th Prince huffed at everyone laughing at his expense, “I cannot believe that all of you are laughing at me.” At which Myung Hee and Soo, alongside Moo, Eun, Jung, So, and King Gwangjong, laughed even more.

Woo Hee grinned at her lover and told, “You are so adorable.” Baek ah eased his frown at that.

The two laughed at the Thirteenth Prince who seemed to somehow ease up as he smiled a little to them.

“Finally!” Eun and Jung exclaimed.

"Sit down now," So said and his brother complied with a glare at Hae Soo.

Soo poked her tongue out at Baek ah, who returned the action.

Seol giggled at the actions of her mother.

"You are too edgy," Hae Soo said when she sat back on her seat and Baek-Ah only smiled a little wider.

“She is not wrong.” Myung Hee added with a soft smile.

"This is nice," So said with a joyful smile. "I really like this. I'd been waiting to have a family meal together with you two. I could not remember the last time we had a meal together. It felt like a really long time ago."

“It never happened again either.” So sorrowfully said. Soo held his hand and squeezed it.

“We’ll change that now.”

"You should eat now," Hae Soo said, happy that she was making him smile and laugh like that again. "If you keep making me talk when I am hungry, I won't share a meal with you again."

Yeon Hwa scoffed and muttered, “I cannot believe a woman say such, it is so indecent to speak like this to the King.”

Queen Hwangbo muttered a silent agreement.

Meanwhile, Queen Yoo rolled her eyes at the chaos around her.

They all smiled as So said, "All right. Let's eat."

Notes:

This was actually part of the previous chapter, but I was very sleepy when I updated so I accidentally did not update this part, so here it is, in the form of a new chapter!

Happy New Year to all my readers! 2020 was truly an awful year, and I'm sure everyone is glad to put it behind and walk ahead into this new year. I hope all of you receive a lot of success and happiness this year. Be safe everyone!

Notes:

This is a result of me writing at 3 am in the morning, hope you liked it!