Actions

Work Header

Heartsong

Summary:

As our heroes begin to settle into their new relationships, an accidental encounter leads Chat Noir to believe Luka is cheating on Marinette with Ladybug. But are his feelings of anger only protective of his friend, or more akin to jealousy. She's just a friend, right?

Notes:

Hi! I'm back for my second fanfiction! This one came to me in the middle of my work on "The Long Game", and got me so excited that I couldn't wait to begin. I'm still playing with the style of this piece, questioning if I want chapter titles or changing perspectives in chapters, etc, but I do know the whole plot. Now we just work to fill in the blanks. :)

THINGS TO NOTE:
- This story takes place beginning a week after the Season 3 Finale of Miracle Queen.
- For stories sake, I have to ignore ONE thing from the show: the reveal of other miraculous holders. I can't have Luka's identity a known factor, even if it's just to a few people who'd remember.
- I ultimately prefer Marichat over all other pairings, so this will be an experiment for me.

Otherwise, just enjoy the story as it unfolds! And if you want a completed work to binge, check out my other Fic!

Chapter 1: First Dates

Chapter Text

The night sky was stunning tonight. A full moon stood out with a background of twinkling iridescent stars. Was it always this beautiful? Maybe there were outside factors that made me feel this warm glow under the moonlight. I stood on my balcony, leaning on the railings as I admired the sight. My fingers absentmindedly twirled a pigtail. It was a chilly night too, but I just held the blue jacket closer and breathed in the lingering scent of its owner. He’d given it to me earlier that evening on our first official “date”. It was everything a teenage girl could dream of; coffee and pastries in a cafe on open mic night. I couldn’t contain the smile when they’d called his name and he winked slyly at me as he calmly strode to the stage. There’s just something about a guy passionately playing guitar that drives me crazy. Especially when the song is for me. 

I’d recognized the underlying tune immediately. He’d first played it for me on the banks of the Seine. The version he played in the cafe was more embellished and fleshed out, sounding like something you’d actually pay to hear. It was his dream, after all. My friend (boyfriend?) was going to be a famous musician someday, and I looked forward to seeing his songs take off. 

The date ended about 30 minutes ago, when we rode home on his bike through the scenic route of Paris. I’d given a little shiver when we arrived at the bakery, so he didn’t hesitate to take his jacket off and drape it over my shoulders. There, standing in my doorway, with his hands on my shoulders and a blush covering my face, he gave me a gentle smile and spoke four words that still echo in my mind. “Can I kiss you?”

His hand brushed my cheek while he’d looked at me tenderly. Those eyes suddenly had the ability to send my mind into overdrive. My thoughts had a hard time catching up to my body, because I nodded before I even registered if I wanted to. Our lips met in a chaste kiss that gave me butterflies. I’d only even felt this feeling once before…

I’d buried my face in his chest when my mind finally recognized where I’d felt it and sent a wave of guilt to drown me. Luka took that as me initiating a hug, so he wrapped his arms around my tiny frame and squeezed softly. I’d felt another kiss to the top of my head before he’d pulled away and said his goodbyes. 

When he got home, he sent me a text. 

 

Luka : I had a wonderful time tonight. You always radiate music to me. Until next time, here’s something to remember our evening. Sweet Dreams, my Muse. 

 

Attached was a recording of the song he’d played at the cafe. My song. It was even titled “Marinette’s Heartsong”. All negative feelings had vacated my mind after that, as I stargazed and played the song on repeat. Yeah, it was definitely the elated feeling from the date that made the stars so beautiful tonight. 

So intensely involved was I in the music that the soft landing behind me nearly went unnoticed. Instinct made me tense up and search for Tikki to make sure she was out of sight. Relief washed over me when I remembered she was down in my bedroom with a few of the other kwamis. Since I’d become the new guardian, she’d had more opportunities to spend with her friends. It was good having over a dozen miniature gods working together. They’d made it their mission to figure out the best method to defeat Hawkmoth once and for all. Usually I joined their brainstorming sessions, but tonight I needed a break. One can only take so many debunked plans before it becomes a little miserable. 

Pausing the music, I turned to greet my unexpected visitor. “Good evening, Chat Noir. To what do I owe the pleasure of your company?” Usually he would’ve quipped back at my playfully sarcastic tone, but something else was on his mind. He was now beside me looking up at the stars with the same look I’d had only moments before. Curiosity got the better of me. “Is this stray cat feeling lovestruck tonight?”

A blush covered his cheeks beneath the mask. “M-maybe,” he mumbled. “Not lovestruck yet. Just… happy?”

I already knew the answer, but secret identities made it so I had to ask. “Oh? Did Ladybug finally return your affections?”

His smile dropped a little, but he recomposed himself quickly. “No, my Lady is still against us. But I’ve come to terms with it. I guess you could say I ‘changed targets’ for my feelings.” He gave a slight chuckle. “I remember talking to you the night Ladybug stood me up. It made me feel better, having a friend to confide in. So, life update, I guess?” Now his grin was nervous.

I returned his smile warmly. “I’m happy for you, Chat. She’s a lucky girl.” And maybe you can finally stop flirting during battle. 

“Thank you, Princess. It’s only been a week now, but we had our first date tonight and I’m optimistic for the future. Even if it’s nearly impossible for us to get our parents to let us out to enjoy ourselves. I had to practically beg my father-” He snapped his mouth closed when he realized he might’ve given too much away. I narrowed my eyes at him, eliciting a blush from the black clad superhero. “I’m sorry, too much information. Gotta keep my secret identity a secret. My Lady would kill me if I let it slip.” He’s not wrong. Fortunately for him, he was talking to Marinette right now, as I forced myself to remember. His claws were scratching the back of his neck awkwardly, and the motion felt really familiar somehow. I don’t remember Chat ever doing that before. He never seemed unsure of himself in battle. Interesting. After a pregnant silence, he cleared his throat and returned to smiling at me. “Any news on your end? I know we both had some trouble in the love department.”

“Yeah, I had a date tonight as well,” I sighed. “I think he can make me really happy.”

Chat’s eyebrows raised. It was his turn to be curious. “Oh? Is this the same boy that you were upset about that night?”

Our demeanors had swapped somehow. It was my smile this time that dropped as I felt that wave of guilt return. No, I won’t let myself think of Adrien right now. He’s happily with Kagami. I’ve moved on. I hugged Luka’s jacket closer to reassure myself before I responded. “N-no. He’ll never see me as more than a friend. And if that makes him happy, that’s what I’ll remain.” Chat Noir’s expression was unreadable; a strange mixture of confusion and concern. I continued quickly to alleviate his worries. “But it’s okay, because there’s this other guy who is just as incredible. He’s liked me since day one. It’s not complicated with him. I don’t fumble my words and spazz out as much. He makes me comfortable.” My mind started to wander back to the date with the blue-haired boy. My smile was back in full force. 

A warm leather glove landed on my shoulder, and I turned to see my partner beaming. “He sounds like a great guy! You deserve someone that you can be yourself with. That other loser doesn’t know what he’s missing.”

“Hey! The ‘other loser’ is still my friend, remember? No name calling, please.”

His hands came up in surrender. “Sorry, Princess. I’m not wrong, though. I bet he’ll see how happy you are with this new guy and feel intensely jealous and stupid.”

I snorted and rolled my eyes. “In my dreams, maybe.” The implications of that statement eluded me until it was too late to retract. My attempts at recovery were feeble. “O-of course, I’d t-turn him down if that h-happened.” The guilt on my face was hard to hide, so I lowered my gaze to the phone in my hand. The worst part of all was that I wasn’t even thoroughly convinced that I would turn down Adrien if he miraculously found feelings for me. That idea threatened to overtake me, so a new idea formed to change the subject. “Hey, wanna hear a song? Luka, the guy I’m seeing, wrote it for me. He says it’s the melody of my heart.” There was that warm happy feeling again. And the accompanying blush. 

“Sure! I love music,” the blonde chirped cheerfully. I rewound the audiotrack so he could hear it from the beginning. Once I pressed play, my eyes closed and I thought only of the way Luka had looked onstage. The stolen glances at me in calmer moments when he didn’t need as much focus. The way his lips pursed in concentration. The way those lips felt on mine, brief as it was. A content sigh escaped my mouth. I opened my eyes to gauge Chat’s thoughts on the music, and was surprised to find that his fingers were unconsciously tapping on the railing, like he was playing a piano. From what little I’d learned about music from Luka, it appeared the black cat was at least keeping the timing, and maybe even hunting for the right notes. I wonder if I placed a keyboard in front of him if he would be playing the song verbatim, albeit on piano versus guitar. He must’ve felt me staring, because his fingers stilled and his hands returned to his side.

The song was coming to an end anyway. “So? What did you think?” I know I shouldn’t care so much, but I really valued his opinion. 

Chat reached for his staff and leaned on it with a grin. “I think we’re both incredibly lucky. Which is rare, for a black cat like me.” His eyebrows wiggled at the joke, and I couldn’t help but snicker. 

“Okay Chat, it’s about time you head home. We need our beauty sleep.”

“You don’t need beauty sleep, Princess. You’re already beautiful enough.” His tone was playful, but his eyes were sincere. 

I reached forward to swat his bell. “Watch it, Alley Cat. We’re both taken now. No flirting with random civilians.”

“You’re far from random, but you have a point. I’m still going to call you Purrrincess, though.” I rolled my eyes but didn’t deny him that. Chat gave his signature bow. “Sweet Dreams, Marinette. I hope we meet again soon.”

A smirk and crossed arms accompanied my response. “You know where I live, Chaton, it’s not like I can keep you away.”

His chuckle faded into the night air as he vaulted over the rooftops.