Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warnings:
Categories:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 2 of Berry's Long MK/DC Books , Part 2 of 'His'
Stats:
Published:
2020-05-29
Completed:
2022-04-08
Words:
82,410
Chapters:
79/79
Comments:
11
Kudos:
108
Bookmarks:
11
Hits:
2,989

Book 2: His Magic

Summary:

[Book 2] Kaito and Saguru are still happily together at the age of 25. Kaito is a successful Doctor, while Saguru is a officer. Kaito's magic has grown in strength over the years, hopefully it will help them...

Updated weekly, more ahead on wattpad. RATED M for dark themes

Sequel to His Feathers

Hakukai
AkakoXAoko

Notes:

Written March 24 2020
Posted on Wattpad March 25 2020
Posted here May 29 2020

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter 1: Chapter 1 Love

Chapter Text

Indigos gleamed as Kaito spotted Saguru "Hi Saguru!" He chirped, flashing a toothy grin, face flushed a bit from a slight fever.

Saguru rolled his eyes at the energetic greeting, a small smile tugging at his lips "Idiot" He scolded, giving the other a light swat on the head "You're supposed to be working here, not staying as a patient" He'd had to leave work since he'd gotten a call about Kaito collapsing on the job.

Kaito rubbed his head, it didn't hurt, but he did so anyways "I wasn't trying to faint" He gave a small pout, crossing his arms "It just happened" There'd been a sudden influx of patients and he'd wanted to stabilize them as best as he could without it being suspicious. Days like today made him glad that Akako had helped him learn how to use his healing magic without his wings popping out.

Gold softened "I know" He gave the other a light peck on the cheek "But do you realize how worrying it is to be told that you collapsed?" It thankfully didn't happen too often, but when it did, it still worried him. He still feared that one day Kaito would go too far and seriously hurt himself with the cost. Magic wasn't free.

"I'm feeling better already" Kaito offered a soft smile, Saguru was so caring. He tilted his head, gaze narrowing "But you on the other hand, are hurt" With the growth of his magic, he'd gotten quite skilled at sensing other's injuries. It was a useful skill, especially since he hung around prideful detectives. At least Saguru always eventually told him, mainly because they lived together. Shinichi on the other hand, was the worst at hiding his injuries. The guy was so freaking prideful! Maybe that was why the guy was still single.

Saguru frowned "You just fainted from over using your magic" He rolled up his sleeve to reveal a large bruise, it wasn't anything serious. He'd gotten it when a culprit had resisted arrest "Wait until you've recovered a bit more" He slid his sleeve back down. He didn't bother telling Kaito not to heal it, because he knew that the other would, with or without his consent.

He didn't like the fact that Saguru was hurt, but he nodded begrudgingly "Okay" He did still feel a bit light headed "By the way, do you know about any accidents happening recently?" He hadn't had time to check on his phone and he hadn't been told much before being pulled into the operating room.

Gold narrowed in thought "There was a small gas leak that ignited" It was the only thing that came to mind, though he, himself had spent the majority of the day doing paperwork after arresting a few people.

Kaito gave a thoughtful hum "That could have done it..." There had been some burns.

"You ready to go home?" Kaito had been excused for the rest of the day, one of the perks of being well liked.

"Of course" The doctor smirked, slipping off of the bed and landing silently on his feet. Indigos gleamed when he noted that he was already wearing his normal clothes, his partner Kusama Nowaki must have changed him out of his bloody scrubs. The older doctor really did look after him well "My Saguru has come all the way from the dreary station to pick me up" The blond flushed a bit at the comment.

Despite how energetic Kaito had been acting, shortly after they left the building, the other had ended up falling asleep before they'd even reached the car. Thankfully Kaito was light, so carrying him the rest of the way hadn't been too hard "Idiot" He breath, brushing Kaito's bangs out of his face. Gold gleamed as he buckled the magician's seat belt, Kaito really shouldn't push himself so hard. He was still recovering.

He started up the car, gaze darkening as he remembered. Half a year ago one of Kaito's eggs had been late, so it had gotten too big. The effort to expel it had seriously weakened the other. Since Kaito had the misfortune of laying an egg every few weeks or so, he hadn't been able to recover fully before the next one. Akako had told them that Kaito's magic didn't work on his own reproductive system because it could seriously mess up any child they managed to conceive by forcing it to grow too fast.

That had continued for a little more than four months, with Kaito growing a bit weaker each time. Eventually Ai concocted a serum to partially dissolve the shell before it was to be expelled, allowing the magician to do so with ease. He'd kept using the serum until recently, since it was apparently only to be used if an egg was starting to take too long.

When they reached their home, a modest sized two story house, Saguru poked Kaito's cheek "Kaito get up" The magician murmured something he couldn't understand as he nuzzled into the touch. Saguru's heart fluttered "Fine" He breathed, exiting the car and circling it so that he was by the passenger door. He opened it, unbuckled Kaito, and started to carry the other once again.

"Saaa-chan" Kaito nuzzled into the blond's shoulder, a tired smile on his lips. Saguru was so warm.

Saguru laughed, Kaito's breath tickling him "How long have you been awake?" He wouldn't put it past the sneaky magician to pretend to sleep so that he'd carry him. It had happened before.

Kaito's cheeks tinted a soft shade of pink "I didn't mean to fall asleep..." Hadn't he been trying to show that he was fine? Falling asleep like that didn't really help his cause.

The blond unlocked the door, carrying Kaito into their house "Do you need me to carry you to bed?" He teased.

Indigos shot open "Only if you're planning on staying" He suddenly wasn't as tired as he was a few moments ago.

Saguru snorted, kicking off his shoes "I may not have a choice with how you're suddenly poking me"

Kaito giggled, pointing at the stairs "The black feathered prince shall ride the white horse!" He reached back to give Saguru's butt a playful pat.

The blond rolled his eyes, blushing. Why did he have to word it like that?

Chapter 2: Chapter 2 Domestic, Coffee

Notes:

Written March 25 2020
Posted on Wattpad March 27 2020
Posted here June 5 2020

Chapter Text

Gold softened as Saguru woke to Kaito's content face, the magician looked so peaceful bundled up in the bed sheet. He almost didn't want to wake him, so he settled on having a shower first to clean up before waking him.

A small whine escaped from Kaito's throat as he nestled deeper into the blankets, he didn't want to get up, but Saguru was tugging at the blanket "No..." He wanted to bask in the memories of the previous night.

"Kaito get up" Saguru gave another tug on the blanket, he was freshly showered "You need to clean up, you're sticky" And it couldn't have felt that nice all dried up.

"I like being sticky" Because it came from his lovely Saguru. He felt himself being lifted and clung onto Saguru, indigos gleaming as their gazes met "Love you so much" He offered a sleepy smile.

Saguru steeled himself at the pure adoration in Kaito's voice as he carried him to the bathroom, blankets too since Kaito still hadn't released them "I love you too Kaito" He breathed placing the magician down on the bathmat, Kaito dropped the blanket in an attempt to hug him but Saguru just dodged it and left the room "I just showered" Gold gleamed "I'm not dirtying myself so soon" He called through the door. Kaito was always extra clingy the morning after he bed him, mainly because they've been trying for a baby for a few years now. They kept failing, much to Kaito's disappointment. He loved kids, and one made from the both of them would be perfect.

Kaito stood there nude on the bathmat pouting with his arms crossed for a few moments, hoping that Saguru would change his mind. Eventually he sighed and hopped into the tub, maybe next time.

When Kaito walked into the kitchen, hair slightly damp and smelling of vanilla, Saguru gave him a chaste kiss "I'm sorry Dove" He held out a plate of chocolate chip pancakes "But you know that you need to leave for work soon" If he'd indulged in the other's antics, Kaito might have ended up late for his job.

The magician grabbed one of the pancakes, nibbling on it "It's fine" He knew that he was being more clingy than usual lately.

Gold softened "We're having dinner at Shinichi's tonight, so save up your energy for messing with him" They had dinner with the sleuth off and on since the guy was often alone or going over cases. Neither of them felt that it was healthy for Shinichi to have minimal contact with people so they did what they could to include him, or barge in.

"'Kay" He was feeling sad now, why was he feeling sad? He scarfed down the rest of the pancake, flashing Saguru a bright grin "These taste amazing, even without cream" Today has been great so far, so he should be happy.

Saguru noted the small change in Kaito's mood but decided to let it be, Kaito was being weird lately and often didn't have an answer when questioned "Do you want a ride, or can you make it there yourself?" They could both drive, but they only really had one car.

"I'll find my own way" Indigos gleamed "The exercise would be good for me" He'd been spending too much time inside buildings lately, plus he could hang out with Tsuki. His other doves had died from old age or other natural causes so she was the only one left. He didn't have much time to properly train new doves so he hadn't gotten any more. Being a doctor took a lot more of his time than he'd initially expected.

The blond smirked "True, heaven forbid you ever go stir crazy" Kaito may already partially be there "We can have dinner in Shinichi's backyard" The sleuth had an outdoor table set. It wasn't used much so it would be a nice change.

"It's a plan" Kaito grinned, Tsuki could join them. He snatched the glass of chocolate milk from the counter and gulped it down "I'm off!" He gave a small wave "Have a good day at work" He disappeared in a plume of white smoke.

Saguru just shook his head in exasperation, a smile tugging at his lips. He placed the dishes in the washer before getting ready to head out for his own job. Hopefully he wouldn't need Kaito to heal him again. He glanced at his arm, knowing that there was no longer a bruise under his clothes.

Shinichi glanced up from his cup of coffee, acknowledging Saguru's presence. The blond rolled his eyes as he went and got himself some tea "Good morning to you too Shinichi" The fact that Shinichi acknowledged him within the presence of morning coffee was good enough. The sleuth wasn't a morning person.

The sleuth drained the rest of his cup "Hello" He greeted before getting another, it was his fourth cup of the day.

Saguru frowned "You okay?" Lately his friend had been getting more and more secluded, not to mention that he'd been drinking even more coffee than he used to.

Azure narrowed, though not directly at Saguru "I'm good, tonight still on?"

"Yes, though we're going to be eating outside" At Shinichi's raised brow Saguru explained "Kaito has been off lately and we think that it might be because he's been cooped up too much" The magician was usually too tired to go out and do something after work since he always put too much energy into healing and helping people.

Shinichi nodded "It's fine so long as Tsuki doesn't steal my coffee beans again" Outside meant that Kaito would bring the friendly dove for sure. He liked her quite a lot, it's just that nobody was allowed to mess with his coffee, not even cute birds. Even Ran had finally stopped trying to limit his coffee. Finally.

"Kudo-kun, Hakuba-kun!" Both males glanced over towards Takagi who'd come running up to them "There's a case we need your help on"

Saguru nodded, finishing his tea while Shinichi did the same with his coffee. They had a case to solve.

Chapter 3: Chapter 3 Talking, Ick

Notes:

Written March 25 2020
Posted on Wattpad March 27 2020
Posted here June 12 2020

Chapter Text

"So you're going to Kudo-kun's tonight for supper" Nowaki inquired, handing Kaito the lunch that the other had packed.

"Yup" Indigos gleamed as he accepted the container, it held some white rice and vegetarian octopus dogs that Saguru had lovingly made him.

Nowaki smiled "That's good, you've been pushing yourself too far lately" He gave a small laugh at the pout he received "You know it's true" He and Kaito had grown close after the younger had studied under him. It had actually surprised him that the young magician had specifically asked for him. Though that may have been because he'd already known a bit about Kaito's special traits from when he'd treated him after that time Kaito had been kidnapped by cultists. God it had scared him the first time Kaito had jumped out a window, basically blind at that!

Kaito stuck out his tongue "I'll help people as much as I want" He picked up one of the octodogs, noting that Saguru had poked holes in it to make a face. Great, was he supposed to imagine killing them or something? Faces didn't belong on food. He still put it in his mouth anyways though, not wanting to waste Saguru's effort. Hopefully the blond liked the lunch that he'd made for him. He swallowed the mouthful "I like helping people" It made him feel all warm and fuzzy, especially the smiles he received.

Navy eyes softened at Kaito's words "You're lucky that I can put up with your nonsense, brat" Though Kaito wasn't nearly as hard to handle as his own lover "Do you want to come over for supper with me and Hiro-san next Monday? Hakuba can come too"

"Sorry" The magician offered an apologetic smile "Me and Saguru have a date planned" They hadn't gone out together in a while since they've both been busy.

Nowaki nodded in understanding "The offer's still up if a case happens" He'd heard from Kaito about the times that Saguru had needed to cancel for a kidnapping or how Kaito himself had needed to cancel for an emergency surgery. There'd been no hard feelings between the couple since they both knew the value of saving a life.

Kaito grinned "Thanks, it'd make Saguru feel less guilty" The blond was always extra sweet and affectionate after a cancelled date. It really made up for the loss "Though I'd prefer it if I didn't see you Monday night" He joked.

While both doctors were enjoying their lunch, two detectives weren't really having that great of a day.

"Shinichi" Saguru breathed, eyes closed as he tried to calm himself "Can you remind me why I jumped after you? I really can't recall why in the bloody hell that I thought that it would be a good idea"

The sleuth grimaced, trying not to throw up at the smell "Neither of us were thinking" They'd been running on adrenaline, so they hadn't paused in following the murderer down the chute. Unfortunately said chute came out into the sewers for some reason. Fortunately the murderer hadn't known that, so they'd been able to capture him while the guy had been reeling from the smell.

"Dear lord..." Saguru gagged, he might have swallowed something, and that was a nasty thought "I won't suppose that you know the way out of here?" He peered up the chute, it didn't look like they'd be able to climb back up, especially not with the murderer in tow.

"No..." Shinichi pulled out his phone, mourning how it'd take forever to make it seem clean again "But Kaito might, he should be on lunch break right?" The doctor knew a lot of weird things, it wouldn't be surprising if the guy had the sewer system mapped out. He dialled Kaito's number.

"Shinichi?" Kaito sounded a bit surprised "Is Saguru okay?" The sleuth didn't call him during work that often.

He glanced towards the disgruntled blond "Yeah, we're both okay" Just smelly and standing knee deep in sludge. He grimaced "Can you give us some directions?" He proceeded to tell him what happened, and in return got laughed at, along with some directions. He turned towards Saguru "Of course he would find it amusing"

The blond nodded, not surprised in the least "One of his favourite pastimes used to involve him coating me in colourful sludge" At least it hadn't smelled too bad compared to now.

Shinichi let out a sigh "Follow me, I know the way out now" He grabbed one of the murderer's arms while Saguru took the other. They both then proceeded to drag the guy through the sludge, it was the unspoken payback for putting them in this disgusting situation in the first place.

Kaito burst into a fit of giggles once Shinichi had hung up "Nowaki you won't believe this" He wiped some tears from his eyes "They followed the bad guy into the sewer and didn't know how to get out!" God the things detectives could get into! It was worse than when he'd been Kid!

Nowaki covered his mouth to stifle his own laugh, he was pretty sure that wasn't supposed to happen "They're something else..."

The magician nodded "Yup" He glanced at the clock "Break is almost over"

A few hours later had Saguru sniffing himself "I can't smell anything..." He couldn't tell if he still smelt like sewage. His sense of smell was currently fried.

"Same" Shinichi frowned, they'd both already showered a few times at the sleuth's house since it was closer. They'd left the murderer to Takagi since they knew that the officer could be trusted, they'd do the paperwork another day "I'm not sure if we should invite Ai and Hakase over for dinner tonight" The female scientist would scold them to no end if they smelled.

"At least we'll be eating outside so the smell won't linger?" That was one good point, Kaito was good natured enough to ignore the smell. Though he wasn't sure if the magician would be able to do so at night. He may have to sleep in the guest room tonight.

"One more shower wouldn't hurt I guess..." They both headed towards different bathrooms to cleanse themselves.

Chapter 4: Chapter 4 Dinner Date at Shinichi's

Notes:

Written March 26 2020
Posted on Wattpad April 7 2020
Posted here June 19 2020

Chapter Text

"Greetings smelly detectives!" Kaito had a shit eating grin on his face as he hopped the fence into Shinichi's backyard. God he still couldn't get over the fact that they'd ended up lost in the sewers "I have come for sustenance" He let his wings come out. Years ago he'd placed charms around Shinichi's property so that nobody who didn't know about his wings would be able to see them. The cost had been taking Akako and Aoko out on a shopping spree and carrying all of their items. His wallet had suffered greatly on that dark day.

Azure narrowed as Shinichi leaned closer to Saguru "Maybe we should skip out on the chocolate cake, the idiot doesn't look like he needs it" He murmured, earning a snort from the other.

"Indeed" Saguru agreed as Tsuki flew in and landed on his head. Thankfully most birds had no sense of smell, a trait that Kaito didn't gain along with his wings. He tuned towards the magician "Do we really smell, or are you just being annoying?" He wouldn't put it past Kaito to be messing with them.

Kaito clutched his hands to his chest, a stricken look crossing his features "Why I would never!" He held the face for a good five seconds before grinning "You smell mostly fine" He pulled out a suspicious spray can and spritzed them with it "Now the two of you smell like roses" A perfectly acceptable scent, if they were either Kaito or a woman. Kaito often carried roses so it was fine for him.

Shinichi was silent for a few moments before sighing "I guess smelling like roses is better than sewage" Ai couldn't scold him, though he'd probably get teased.

Gold softened as Saguru took Kaito's hand, pulled him closer, and gave him a kiss "I take it your day went well?" Kaito's mood was bright and cheery.

The magician nodded "Yeah, Shinichi's call made it even better though" He pulled away glancing towards Hakase's house "I'm going to fetch something from Ai, I'll be back" With that he took off in a half flight, half leap. The professor's house had the charms too, and they all reached up to around 100 meters. 

"Show off" Shinichi rolled his eyes before heading back inside to fetch the food. Saguru followed after him. Azure glanced towards the blond as they grabbed the plates "Stop worrying, he told you so there's nothing to worry about" Kaito was the kind of person to try to hide things if it wasn't good.

Saguru let out a sigh "I know, but the only reason he'd need something from her would be if he needed that medicine" The medicine that prevents Kaito's eggs from causing him damage. That meant that the other was late in expelling it "It's to prevent it from happening again, but I still can't help but remember" Watching Kaito slowly grow weaker and weaker had been horrible, he'd felt so helpless.

Shinichi lightly kicked Saguru in the shin since his hands were full "That can't happen again" They had the means to prevent it "Let's hurry up before he returns and gets bored" A bored Kaito wasn't fun to deal with.

"You could have waited so that I could carry some" Kaito sighed as he spotted the two exiting the house. Tsuki was comfortably settled in Saguru's hair.

"I know Dove, but this way saves more time" Not that they were rushed for it or anything.

Indigos gleamed as Kaito spotted the curry, it smelt tasty. He could easily spot which plate was his because it had no meat, and more veggies than the other two "It smells really good" He praised, accepting the plate.

Both detectives sat down to join him "Thank you, Shinichi helped quite a lot" Saguru breathed. While Shinichi may be the worst cook between them, the sleuth had improved quite a bit from practising with either Saguru or Kaito. It was usually whoever had gotten off work earlier.

Kaito grinned "So what have you been up to Shinichi?" He obviously didn't need to ask Saguru.

"Besides finding dead bodies?" Shinichi offered a wry smile "Nothing much to be honest, but Heiji phoned earlier to complain about how Hikata-chan spewed up all over him just after he finished a shower a few days ago" Kazuha had given birth to a cute little girl two months ago.

The magician laughed "I've heard that babies do that a lot" He felt Saguru squeeze his hand under the table so he squeezed back. He wished he had a baby, even if it spewed yucky fluids everywhere.

"So it seems like Hattori is going to be busy" Saguru mused, taking a sip of his water.

Shinichi nodded "Especially since Kazuha-san is insisting that he should be the one to stay home with Hikata" He smiled, remembering his friend's upset face as Heiji fed his daughter while relaying the news "She told him that since she carried Hikata for nine months, he has to care for her for at least that long" Azure gleamed "I figure that she's going to make up another excuse to keep him as the stay at home dad by the time the nine months are up" It was probably to get back at him for ditching her for a case so many times when they were teens. Maybe it would mellow Heiji out a bit when it came to cases.

Indigos gleamed "Maybe if Heiji visited you, he could drop Hikata-chan off with me" He smiled "Then the two of you could go off hunting down a case together and I could earn my spot as Hikata-chan's favourite uncle" Saguru gave him a knowing look but stayed silent.

"I'll pass on the offer" The sleuth stated.

"How have Ran-san and your little detective group doing?" The blond inquired, Shinichi had told the detective boys the truth once they'd turned 14. Thankfully they'd been mature enough to eventually forgive him.

A small frown tugged at Shinichi's lips "Ran's travelling with Sonoko in France, and the Detective Boys are on a class trip to Kyoto for a few weeks" So he was stuck doing cases and reading until they all came back to pester him.

Chapter 5: Chapter 5 Cinq

Notes:

Written March 26 2020
Posted on Wattpad April 13 2020
Posted here June 26 2020

Chapter Text

Kaito eyed Shinichi appraisingly, making the other suddenly feel nervous "Shinichi..." He paused "Are you lonely?" Most of the sleuth's social group outside of work was temporarily gone.

Saguru blinked, that would explain the other's more secluded habits, and why he began to warm up the longer the day went on. Why didn't he think of that? He spent more time with the sleuth than Kaito did. He turned towards Shinichi "Is this true?"

Shinichi glanced away, blushing a bit "It's fine, they're returning soon" Then he'd go back to wishing for a break from the Detective boys.

The magician raised his arm and Tsuki fluttered over to land on it. Kaito then stood up, leaned over, and plopped her on Shinichi's head "Tsuki can stay with you until they're back" He offered a soft smile as the sleuth slowly reached up to pet the dove "She likes you, and you already know how to care for her" Tsuki was very good company, and low maintenance.

Tsuki cooed softly, nuzzling the sleuth's finger "Are you sure?" Tsuki was Kaito's only dove, and probably last since he hadn't bothered to get any more.

"Of course" Indigos softened "If Tsuki really didn't want to, she wouldn't hang around you" He'd been neglecting her a bit lately. Unlike the hospital, Shinichi could take her around with him wherever he went. She'd get the attention that she deserves.

"Okay, thanks" The sleuth replied softly. The three chatted together for a few more hours before calling it a night, they all had to get up early in the morning.

Kaito stifled a yawn as he finished changing into his pyjamas, today had been good. He carefully slipped into bed, snuggling up against Saguru. The detective had already fallen asleep. He couldn't wait until the day after next since they both had the day off if nothing unexpected happened.

"You look well" Saguru stated as he met Shinichi once again at the coffee and tea machine. The sleuth looked more rested even though Tsuki was sitting on his head, messing up his normally neat hair.

Shinichi nodded, averting his gaze "It's nice having company around" He'd grown used to it as Conan, and hadn't really noticed until he was mostly alone again. Talking on the phone just didn't work for him anymore.

"Just take good care of her, she's quite old now" Though it was often hard to remember that with how mischievous she could act. They both turned to the left when they heard their names being called.

Kaito's day consisted of working in the children's ward this time. His skill set was so large that he often switched it up unless he was specifically needed for something urgent. He could do this since he'd garnered the favour of most of the higher ups and his colleagues, that and his valuable skills made them not want to lose him.

He liked working with children the most, often doing magic tricks to distract them whenever they were either scared or nervous. It also gave him the chance to heal any underlying illnesses that they weren't being checked for due to their age. He'd already cured two children of cancer that had been dormant and had lessened the symptoms of others who'd already been registered.

"Dr.Kuroba!" Kaito turned away from the little girl whom he'd just given a fake yellow rose to.

"Yes Miku-san?" The nurse had sounded urgent. He was a few years older than Kaito, with blond hair and brown eyes.

"There's been an accident so Dr.Kusama isn't able to come in today" At Kaito's concerned look Miku explained "He wasn't in the accident, but the way is blocked" He assured "He won't be able to get here in time for a scheduled surgery"

Kaito nodded, feeling a bit disappointed. He turned towards the boy "Sorry but I need to help someone" He offered a soft smile, patting the kid on the head. He was glad that Nowaki hadn't been hurt.

Saguru glanced at his pocket watch curiously, Kaito should have been back a few hours ago. He got up to wrap up Kaito's plate and put it in the fridge. Moments after he closed the fridge door, he heard a knock from the front door. That was odd, they weren't expecting anyone today and Kaito wouldn't have knocked.

He opened the door to see Nowaki, Kaito's friend from work, and Kaito was on his back "Sorry Hakuba" The doctor offered an apologetic smile "I had to dart Kaito" He'd been secretly given darts to use on Kaito in case the magician tried to do anything stupid with his magic. Thankfully since Kaito passed out more than most people, it wasn't suspicious whenever he had to use it.

The blond frowned, stepping aside to let the other in "There was an accident so he had to take on one of my surgeries" He grimaced "The success rate was around twenty percent, and it didn't turn out that well "I managed to hop in near the end to help but the patient still passed" Nowaki looked tired as he continued "Kaito tried to add in more magic before the patient died but I stopped him" Kaito's magic was strong, but it couldn't fix everything. The patient had been too far gone.

Gold darkened as Saguru imagined Kaito's reaction "Thank you for bringing him back"

Nowaki gave a small smile "If I left him, they would have realized that he'd been drugged" He paused "I'll put him in your room while you make up Kaito's favourite chocolatey drink" It was what they usually did whenever the doctor had to carry Saguru home after a bad day.

"Thank you" Saguru hurried back into the kitchen to make Kaito some spearmint chocolate milk with some frosting mixed into it. He then took out Kaito's portion of dinner and handed it to Nowaki as they passed near the stairs "He probably won't be eating it so you can have it as thanks" Kaito didn't eat much when he was upset, that or he ate a lot if it was petty.

The doctor accepted the food "Hiro-san is going to be jealous" He laughed, trying to lighten the mood.

"Have a safe trip Kusama" Saguru offered. He had an idiot to wake up.

Chapter 6: Chapter 6

Notes:

Written March 27 2020
Posted on Wattpad April 16 2020
Posted here July 3 2020

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Saguru waved some smelling salts in front of Kaito's face, putting them down when the other began to stir. The darts weren't actually that strong since they were usually only used on Kaito whenever he was either too stressed or tired, so the fact that Kaito had still been asleep told the blond how bad Kaito had been.

Indigos blinked open "Saguru?" Kaito inquired, slowly sitting up to look around. He felt a prickle of annoyance towards Nowaki for darting him.

"How are you feeling?" Gold softened as he offered the magician the chocolatey drink and Kaito immediately took it and began to sip some from the straw.

Kaito was silent for a few moments as he drank before responding "Stupid" He sighed, gaze focused on his drink. The sedative was still running through his veins but that was fine "I knew that it wouldn't work" He let out a tired sigh "But I still wanted to try" He didn't like death, it was so permanent. It couldn't really be reversed.

Saguru got into the bed so that he was beside him and wrapped an arm around Kaito to bring him closer "Of course you did" Gold softened, Kaito would always try his best to save someone if he could.

The magician finished off his drink, handing it over to Saguru who placed it on the end table "You spoil me too much" He breathed, his left hand glowing a soft white as he slipped it under Saguru's shirt. The minor friction burns healed with ease, at least the blond hadn't been cut. Indigos gleamed as his hand snaked over to Saguru's side.

"Stop!" Saguru huffed out a laugh, he was seriously ticklish there. He squirmed a bit "Is this how you repay my spoiling you?" He tried to wiggle away but Kaito had grabbed onto the hand that was wrapped around him.

Kaito continued to tickle Saguru for a few more moments before letting him go, he liked watching him squirm "Maybe I just wanted to hear your laugh" He teased before snuggling up against the other "So comfy"

The blond smirked, Kaito was probably too tired to do anything else to him right now "I'm glad that you seem to think so" Though telling by the other's breathing, Kaito had already fallen asleep.

Once again, Saguru was the first to wake, he glanced at the clock and decided to let Kaito sleep in for a few more hours. He was glad that neither of them had work that day, it would allow the other to recover from the sedative fully. Sure he was fully capable of doing his job the day after getting darted, but this way would allow him to rest better. He got changed and headed downstairs, opting to read for a bit before preparing breakfast.

Kaito frowned when he woke up to the sheets beside him being cold, it was his turn to make breakfast today. Saguru should have woken him up if he was hungry, indigos darkened, Saguru did so much for him, it was actually hard to find ways to repay the guy. He slipped out of bed, taking the disgusting medicine that Ai had given him the other day. He grimaced as he tossed the empty bottle into the trash, why did she have to make it so nasty? She probably did it on purpose, just because she could.

"You should have woken me up" Saguru glanced up from his book to see a pouting Kaito, he bookmarked his page and set the book down. The magician's wings were out since they weren't going anywhere and weren't in bed. They really got in the way in bed.

"You needed the rest, and I actually wasn't that hungry" He'd eaten a good supper the other night.

Kaito's stomach grumbled at the mention of food, wings fluttering a bit in embarrassment "I'm going to go make breakfast now" He was suddenly feeling very hungry, he shouldn't have skipped supper the other day.

Breakfast had consisted of blueberry waffles, banana slices, and some cut up apples, a meal which the both of them had enjoyed greatly "What would you like to do today?" Saguru inquired as they finished cleaning up the kitchen.

The magician grimaced "Whatever you want so long as it's in the afternoon" The medicine should have done its job by then.

Saguru winced in sympathy, already concluding what Kaito was referring to "Do you need me to do anything for you?"

Kaito shook his head as predicted. It was a very private and embarrassing task, he preferred to just get it done and over with, without Saguru hovering near him "I'm claiming the upstairs washroom" It was farther from the living areas and kitchen then the downstairs one.

With that conversation done, the two settled down together on the couch, each with their own book in hand, enjoying the company of the other. Until Kaito let out an almost silent hiss and headed upstairs, Saguru pretended to ignore the actions.

The magician stood under the shower, sweating as he tried to ignore the way his insides felt like they were turning to goo. He knew they weren't. All he needed to do was ignore the pain and let gravity do its job. He wasn't actually going to have an egg this time, thank god. Nope, just a disgusting amount of gooey substances was going to drip out of him, yay. Thankfully the shower made it less noticeable, allowing him to pretend that it was just water dripping down his legs.

After about 45 minutes he was starting to become bored, this way more than usual. Kaito glanced down, growing concerned, had it been a double egg or something? He wasn't even sure if that was possible. He blinked, blood? Why was there blood? There'd never been any blood, not even in the eggs he'd broken out of curiosity. The fluid was supposed to be clear or a greenish yellow hue mixed with clear fluids.

Kaito frowned, watching the blood go down the drain, he didn't feel any extra pain. The only reason for the egg to have had blood would be... Indigos widened as the magician suddenly swayed, covering his mouth as his eyes began to burn.

Notes:

Next chappy is really bittersweet

Chapter 7: Chapter 7 Death

Notes:

Written April 13 2020
Posted on Wattpad April 30 2020
Posted here July 10 2020

Chapter Text

The sound of rapid footsteps hit Saguru's ears, wet arms wrapped around him from behind before he could even react "Kaito?!" He hurriedly put down his book in fear of it getting wet. The magician was silent, his hold tightening around him. The blond looked over his shoulder and scowled at the mess that Kaito had made, there was a trail of water leading into the room, most likely from the upstairs bathroom "You made a mess" He scolded, he never liked it when Kaito deliberately dirtied the floors.

"Saguru..." Kaito's voice was watery, barely audible.

The blond froze, annoyance fading, it'd been a while since Kaito had used that tone. Gold softened as he manoeuvred himself out of the chair to face Kaito "Oh Dove, what happened?" He gently cupped Kaito's face to meet the other's teary indigos, they were rimmed red.

Kaito opened his mouth, only for a small sob to escape. He'd messed up, messed up horribly "Blood" His words wavered, he wasn't sure if he'd be able to say more. It was... A fresh wave of tears hit him at the thought.

Gold widened in alarm, blood? He held Kaito by the shoulders as he stepped back to scan the other's form. Kaito just seemed to be wet, there was no... Wait... The inside of Kaito's legs had blood trailing down them, though it was moving too slowly to be just blood, the substance looked too thick "What?..." He met the other's gaze with confusion. There wasn't supposed to be blood. Kaito had once confided in him about the apparently nasty substance that came out of him whenever he took the pill to break down an egg. Wait, egg. Gold widened, a soft swear escaping his lips.

"I didn't" The magician buried his face into Saguru's chest, body trembling. He swallowed "I didn't" A sniff "Mean to..." Oh god he'd messed up so fucking bad and destroyed the very thing that he'd been wanting for years "I didn't know" His voice was a borderline wail. How could he have been so stupid?!

Saguru's eyes burned as he felt Kaito clutch onto his shirt, he was half soaked now but that didn't really matter. He closed his eyes, letting out a shaky breath "It's not your fault, and even if it was, I don't blame you" Dear lord, now he knew why Kaito had been acting so weird lately. Usually blood is only in an egg if it had been fertilized, and judging by the amount of blood... Kaito started to sag so Saguru lowered himself as well until they were both sitting on the floor.

"I wanted a baby" They'd been trying for years "And I finally got one... Only to..." His low rate of conception had at first been a welcome blessing. It had prevented the scientists from successfully breeding him and then possibly doing who knows what to him. But now that they were stable, and actually wanted a baby, that very same trait had also begun to feel like a curse. How many more years would they have to wait for another chance? And what if something happened then too? His breath sped up at the thought of becoming too old before managing to have a child. All because he had screwed up.

Gold narrowed in concern as he held the other, Kaito's body was beginning to heat up, and not in the fun way "Dove, listen" He soothingly ran his fingers down Kaito's back in an attempt to help calm him a bit "Do you need a weak sedative?" It wouldn't knock him out, just calm him so that his temperature could lower before it started to hit dangerous levels.

"I-" Kaito choked on a sob, too upset to even speak properly.

"I understand" Saguru breathed, pulling out a covered pin, removing the cover, and pricking Kaito's thigh with it. Kaito's muscles immediately lost most of their tension "Better?" He inquired, voice soft. Kaito's system could easily flush the drug if he wanted to.

Kaito gave a silent nod, feeling his heart rate slow to a normal pace as he leaned into Saguru's chest. His sobs had calmed a bit, but now he could breath a bit better "It's not fair..." His vice was soft, lost. Tears were still streaming down his face in a steady flow.

Gold burned "I know" His fingers circled Kaito's hip bone, gently trailing over the brand. It was a motion that often lulled Kaito to sleep after spending the night together because Kaito was usually tired then "We both know that life can be cruel" Bad things happened for no reason all the time. He kept up the motion, also carding his fingers through Kaito's hair until indigos fluttered to a close. Saguru's heart clenched, Kaito was still crying, even in his sleep.

Saguru scooped Kaito up and carried him to the washroom. He wet a soft cloth with warm water and soap before using it to carefully clean the magician up. He didn't think that Kaito would take well to having the dried remains of their... He shook his head, not wanting to think about it just yet.

When Kaito was clean, and no longer expelling the... Blood, Saguru dressed him in his cotton Kaitou Kid Pyjamas. They were white and covered in cartoon jewels, doves, cards, and monocles. They were both adorable, and Kaito's favourite pyjamas, hopefully they should help in lightening Kaito's mood at least a bit.

The blond finally let his own tears fall once Kaito was under their blankets. He crawled in beside the magician, hugging him close to his body. Kaito wasn't the only one who'd wanted kids, he'd wanted them as well. He placed a soft kiss on Kaito's cheek before nuzzling into his neck. He honestly didn't blame Kaito, the magician's case wasn't like a woman's. They didn't have other cases to look at for reference, they hadn't known what to look for. He just, really wished that things hadn't turned out like this.

Saguru released a shaky breath, hoping that things would be a little bit more okay when Kaito woke up.

Chapter 8: Chapter 8 Tears, Love

Notes:

Written April 16 2020
Posted on Wattpad May 4 2020
Posted here July 17 2020

Chapter Text

Kaito woke up snuggled up to Saguru, faces inches apart, the blond was still sleeping. Indigos burned as he noted the dried tear tracks trailing down the other's face. Saguru was hurting too, yet the guy had taken care of him first. His heart fluttered as a watery smile tugged at his lips as he gave Saguru a soft peck on the cheek, god he loved Saguru so much.

He felt tired, but he knew that he should probably get up. Slipping out of Saguru's caring hold had been regretfully easy, he'd almost wanted the other to wake up and pull him closer for more cuddles. Indigo softened as he tucked in the blond, smiling faintly at the fact that Saguru had put him in pyjamas, but had neglected to do so for himself.

The magician then silently slipped out of the room, it was a little past noon so there was still time to salvage their day off and prepare Saguru a nice lunch. The blond did so much for him, that it was the least that he could do. He first checked his phone, replying to a text from Shinichi before getting lunch started.

An bout an hour and a half later had Kaito standing by Saguru's side of the bed "Saguru it's time to get up" The other's sleep schedule would be shot if he slept any longer. Kaito gave the other's cheek a soft prod.

Saguru grimaced, someone was poking his cheek. Gold blinked open to see Kaito leaning over him. The magician's eyes were both puffy and rimmed red, Kaito had been crying again "Kaito..." He sat up, unsure as to what he should say to the other.

Indigos softened "I made us some cheesy chicken and broccoli pasta" A very fatty and carb filled meal, perfect comfort food. Kaito offered a small smile "It's going to get cold if we wait for too long" He teased, eyes not smiling as much as his tone indicated. He was hurting a lot, but he needed to make sure that Saguru was at least okayish.

The blond was silent for a few moments as he took in the other's appearance before nodding, offering a small smile of his own "That sounds delicious" It was touching that Kaito had handled raw chicken for him. That was the worst kind of meat for the magician since he was so fond of birds.

"I made two small pans worth so there will be enough for leftovers" Kaito added as they headed downstairs.

Gold gleamed "And so that you don't accidentally eat any of the chicken" It was store bought chicken, not the Kaito approved chicken that his one acquaintance raised.

Kaito gave a small pout "You're the one who turned me off of meat" Saguru had been such a jerk before they'd actually gotten to know each other. Who the hell showed people slaughterhouse videos at school?!

"I'm sorry Dove" Saguru's smile was soft as he gave Kaito a chaste kiss before sitting down at the table "I had underestimated how kind you were" He hadn't known that such videos would horrify the magician enough to turn away from most meat.

The magician stuck out his tongue as he too sat down. He then grabbed a forkful of Saguru's food and held it out towards the other "Try it and praise me" His tone was light, teasing.

Saguru rolled his eyes, obliging by leaning over to accept the forkful, mouth watering at the cheesy concoction "It's delicious" He admitted as Kaito's hand retreated, though he couldn't help the small frown that tugged at his lips "You're not supposed to wear masks around me Dove" Kaito was trying too hard to seem happy, even though he obviously wasn't.

Weary indigos met his gaze as the magician offered Saguru a half smile "I'm coping" He breathed "If I was wearing a mask, I wouldn't look so horrible" He was good at covering up when he'd been crying. His eyes glistened as his voice wavered "I won't let this destroy me" Even if all he wanted to do right now was wail and cry as he hid away from the world. He sniffed "You're hurt too, and it wouldn't be fair if I forced you to care for me" Even if it always felt nice to be coddled by him. He made that mistake once after his rescue from the scientists. He'd hurt Saguru then.

"Okay" Saguru breathed, concern easing a bit. He scooped up some of Kaito's meal and offered it to the owner "You should eat too"

The magician leaned over to eat the bit "I love you so much" He stated softly after swallowing. Saguru was just so good to him.

"I know that you idiot" Saguru chuckled, a light blush tinting his cheeks. Kaito was looking at him so softly, as if he were the greatest person in the world.

"I want to have your baby" Kaito's voice was soft, full of longing. A baby made from the both of them.

Saguru nodded, eyes burning a bit "I'd really like that" He took Kaito's hand, giving it a gentle squeeze "One day" They'd have a family of their own, even if they had to resort to adoption. He knew that Kaito would love any child as his own if he were permitted too.

Kaito squeezed back "Yeah" His words were watery "One day" Hopefully soon, he wouldn't mess up next time. He'd have Ai do more tests whenever an egg was taking too long. He wouldn't kill their next child.

"Dove..." God softened as he watched silent tears fall down Kaito's cheeks. His love was hurting so much.

"Ah sorry" The magician sniffed, wiping away his tears, he hadn't meant to cry again.

Saguru scooted his chair closer, wrapping an arm around the other "It's fine Kaito" Gold softened "You can cry" He used his free hand to get more of Kaito's food "But you need to eat" He wouldn't let Kaito's hard work go to waste. The food was good.

"Only if you eat too" Kaito sniffed, motioning to Saguru's own plate.

"Of course" The blond offered a small smile "I can't waste a meal this good"

Chapter 9: Chapter 9 Trip Plans

Notes:

Written April 18 2020
Posted on Wattpad May 11 2020
Posted here July 24 2020

FROM NOW ON THERE WILL BE NO UPDATES ON THE LAST FRIDAY OF EACH MONTH

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The two were lazily cuddling together when Kaito's phone began to ring, blaring out the Danny Phantom theme song. Kaito shifted a bit in Saguru's hold as he dug for his phone, it had fallen down in between the cushions.

The moment he accepted the call, the other person spoke before he'd even had the chance to "Did you take the pill yet Kuroba?" Indigos misted a bit, it was Ai.

He was silent for a few moments, clutching the phone in both hands "Y-Yeah..." His voice wavered. Saguru wrapped his arms around him, pulling him closer.

She'd been too late "I'm sorry" Regret laced her tone "I only just finished running tests on your latest blood samples" She'd called the moment she'd gotten the results "Are you okay?" She knew exactly how much Kaito had been wanting a child, and she considered the weird magician as one of her friends.

Kaito shot Saguru a glance, indigos soft "Saguru and I have each other" They'd get through this together.

"Take care Kuroba" Ai breathed, there wasn't much else that she could say besides empty reassurances.

"You too Ai-chan" The call then ended.

Saguru frowned, it looked like Kaito was about to start crying again "Haibara-san's call was good news" He stated softly. When watery indigos looked at him with confusion he explained "It means that she can identify if you're with child or not"

Indigos widened, that meant he wouldn't accidentally make the same mistake "I'm glad" He sniffed, burying his face in Saguru's chest "I'd rather suffer through having an oversized egg than risk killing a baby" But he wouldn't have to since Ai had swiftly noted his condition.

The blond tensed a bit at Kaito's offhand comment, Kaito had almost died due to an oversized egg. He would have if it hadn't been for Ai's help "Please don't talk like that" He nuzzled the magician's cheek "He'd hated watching Kaito as the other slowly grew weaker and weaker.

Oh, he hadn't meant to upset Saguru "I'm sorry" He pecked Saguru on the lips, he'd been thinking selfishly again. Saguru was hurt whenever he was hurt, because the blond loved him.

"Good" Gold softened, Kaito needed to take better care of himself.

The two went silent for a while, just enjoying the other's presence. Eventually Kaito decided that he should probably inform Saguru of the plans he'd made with Shinichi before he forgot "Um Saguru" Kaito bit his lip, Saguru was going to worry more than usual due to recent events "Shinichi texted me for help a few hours ago" And he'd replied by telling the other that he'd help.

Saguru stiffened, knowing what Kaito was alluding to. The FBI had requested for Kaito's help, it had been a while since he'd been called on "But you're still recovering..." And Kaito wasn't emotionally well either.

Indigos softened "I'm just going to do some spying and info gathering so that they can get the go ahead to raid the place" He gave Saguru's hand a squeeze "They're human traffickers" His voice softened "And they don't just deal with adults" Those monsters hurt children too.

The blond swallowed, fearful "How are you planning to get your information?" A scheme like that was dangerous to deal with.

"I'm going to pretend to be a potential buyer" There was no way in hell that he'd go in as an 'item' to be sold. Maybe if he'd been younger, or if he didn't have the financial backup of the FBI he would have posed as a slave to save the people, but he was more cautious now. He had the tools to do it the safer way, so he'd be an idiot not to utilize what he had. He met Saguru's gaze "Shinichi is going to come with me as backup, and we're both going to be microchipped just in case" He didn't want to be chipped, but if things did go wrong, the FBI could still storm the place to rescue them on the grounds of saving their agents.

"Why do they need you for this?" Surely a different person should suffice right?

Kaito gave a small grimace "They tried with other agents, but they kept disappearing" He pointedly avoided looking at the other's horrified face "I'm good at escaping, and the others hadn't been chipped" He paused "And they erased any evidence of the agents entering so the FBI couldn't do anything" Now that he was voicing it out loud, it did sound kinda bad now that he thought about it.

Saguru let out a breath, doing his best to forcibly calm himself "When are you leaving?" He knew the other well enough by now to know that there was no way that he could change Kaito's mind. Especially since children were being harmed.

The magician wrung his hands together nervously "I'm need to meet Shinichi at the airport around noon tomorrow"

"The airport?!" Saguru's worry intensified "Where are you going?" Please let it be somewhere in Japan,

"North Korea" He was kinda scared of going there but at least he wouldn't be alone.

That wasn't what Saguru had been expecting for an answer "Dove" His tone was strained "You're going to end up getting arrested since you're so weird" The magician's weirdness could make him look suspicious.

Kaito scoffed "I was Kid remember? I'm capable of acting like a boring normal person" Though he would be extra careful. The only reason the FBI were actually working on the case was because some American tourists had been taken. He wasn't sure about a lot of the legalities but he was pretty sure that if enough proof was gathered, the group could be taken down "Besides, Shinichi wouldn't have agreed to ask for my help with this if he didn't think that he'd need it" He trusted the sleuth. Though Shinichi also hadn't been aware of recent events when he'd asked.

"Kaito..." He didn't want Kaito nor Shinichi to go there.

The magician pointed towards his left eye "It's been upgraded so that it can record while being undetectable" His false eye was probably their best bet in nabbing these guys "I think that's the main reason why they asked for my help"

Notes:

FROM NOW ON THERE WILL BE NO UPDATES ON THE LAST FRIDAY OF EACH MONTH

Chapter 10: Chapter 10 Choice, Info

Notes:

Written May 1 2020
Posted on Wattpad May 18 2020
Posted here August 7 2020

Chapter Text

Gold softened as Saguru leaned over to wrap both arms around the magician "I know that it's important to you" There were children involved after all "But I seriously don't want you to go" It was selfish, but he didn't think that the other should leave so soon.

Kaito met the other's gaze for a few moments before letting out a sigh, shoulders slumping "Okay, I'll tell Shinichi that I'm not going" He gave a small smile "I honestly didn't really want to go anyways" He hadn't wanted to leave Saguru.

"Thank you" Saguru breathed, pressing a soft kiss to Kaito's neck. The old Kaito would have argued until he was blue in the face before sneaking away, he was thankful that the magician had matured over the years.

The magician waved his phone, indigos weary "I've already sent the text so it's official" He'd been planning on having Nowaki, Aoko, and Akako look after Saguru while he was gone but now that wasn't going to be necessary. Thankfully he hadn't contacted them yet. There was no way that he would have left the blond without someone to check in on him off and on. Indigos misted a bit, especially not now.

Meanwhile Shinichi grimaced when he read the new text from Kaito, telling him that he'd changed his mind. He honestly felt for the couple and had actually been about to boot Kaito out of the mission once Ai had told him what had happened. It was relieving that he wouldn't have to fight the other, but also concerning. Azure softened as he gave Tsuki a few good scratches, at least his friends had each other.

Ai gave the sleuth a side glance from where she was cleaning up after a few tests "Judging from your face, Kuroba isn't going right?" She finished cleaning up the rest of her supplies "You're not going either"

"I know" Shinichi's shoulders sagged "The FBI will just have to send in a few more teams in the meantime" Hopefully they wouldn't go missing as well. The only reason Shinichi had been approved for the mission was due to how he was supposed to have Kaito for backup. He was apparently too important to risk losing, or so he'd been told.

The scientist smirked "They don't want to lose the guy that was the mastermind behind taking down two criminal organizations" It was funny that ever since the sleuth had proved his worth, those with higher powers had decided to keep him safe.

"I don't think it would have gone well anyways due to the timing" Kaito wouldn't have been able to focus completely on the task "It's best that we wait" Shinichi breathed.

"I agree" Ai stated "Not to mention that his lethargy was caused by his body providing for the egg" Now that he wasn't carrying anymore, his vitality should probably improve.

The sleuth frowned "Surely it was too early to have that kind of effect on him" Though he did remember how Saguru had been concerned about how low on energy Kaito had been lately.

"Unlike females, Kuroba didn't have a period" Ai started "So his body isn't used to making up extra blood to later expel if there's no pregnancy" She glanced down at her notes, a small frown on her lips "Judging by how emotionally off Kuroba has been, I think that it's safe to assume that his gestation period will be shorter than a normal pregnancy"

Shinichi grimaced "So on top of the calcium supplements that you've been giving him, he's going to need iron ones as well next time" The calcium was due to how no matter what, Kaito was going to be making eggs, which used up a fair amount of calcium in the process.

Ai's face darkened "I'm not sure if there'll be a next time"

The sleuth bit his lip as he remembered the starry eyed look Kaito got around children, and the soft smile Saguru always gave the magician in response "Couldn't you make something to help? Aren't there normal fertility treatments that already exist?" Ai could use those as a base to help.

"For humans yes" The scientist's gaze narrowed "But as much as we like to deny it, Kuroba isn't fully human, and I don't want to risk messing something in him up" There was a greater chance of her causing more harm than good if she tried to make something to boost the magician's conception rate "The most I can do is monitor his vitals to make sure that something doesn't go wrong"

Despite how he wanted to argue about how skilled she was, he didn't. Ai looked genuinely regretful and scared "Okay" He wouldn't pressure her.

Ai's grip on her clipboard tightened as she stared down at the papers, avoiding the sleuth's gaze "We don't even know if his body would be able to handle a child" Her voice was low "He almost died when one of his eggs came a bit too late" She bit her lip "A baby, with or without an egg around it could potentially be too big for him"

"Shit" Shinichi cursed, he hadn't thought about that "Have you told them?" Her concern made more sense now.

"I've told Kuroba" She admitted "But not Hakuba" Because it was private and she didn't want to lose the magician's trust.

"So Saguru doesn't know" There's no way that the blond wouldn't have said something to him if he knew. The blond liked to confide in him about Kaito more often than not.

"I think that he's trying to ignore it in favour of hoping that everything goes fine" Ai replied softly "And I've been sort of encouraging it" Kaito often had more luck than most, but when things went bad, it got bad "There's a good chance that complications only happened because the egg wasn't fertilized" She turned towards the sleuth "You know how eerie he is of being touched there right?" Shinichi nodded, those scientists had been horrible to his friend "Well he's been allowing me to do tests on him" That's how desperate Kaito was "And there's also an equal chance of him laying an egg like a bird, and needing to keep it warm until it hatches"

Chapter 11: Chapter 11 Calm, Lax

Notes:

Written May 4 2020
Posted on Wattpad May 25 2020
Posted here August 14 2020

Chapter Text

Whenever Shinichi saw Saguru, he felt a little conflicted. Surely the blond had the right to know about the danger Kaito was in right? It'd been around a week since he'd had to cancel his and the magician's travel plans, yet he still couldn't help but feel uneasy. Both males were his friends, and he didn't want to see them hurt.

"You've been looking a little stressed lately, are you okay?" Saguru inquired as he handed the sleuth a cup of black coffee. It was nearing the end of the day, thankfully it had been a slow day so they were actually at the station.

"Thanks" Shinichi's movements were a little slower than normal as he accepted his beloved drink since Tsuki was resting on his head. He couldn't see the dove, but he had a feeling that she was actually sleeping. He glanced down at the dark liquid in his hands "Can I talk to you about something in private?"

The blond blinked "I see no harm in it" Shinichi offered him a small but relieved smile as the two of them headed towards one of the private rooms. It was one of the few that had no cameras since it was meant for sensitive topics "I've been tempted to inquire about what was troubling you for a while now"

Once they closed and locked the door the sleuth met Saguru's gaze "It's about Kaito" He admitted.

Saguru grimaced "Did that idiot do something stupid behind my back again?" Sometimes Kaito really messed up badly on a trick, but was too embarrassed to tell him about it. It was never serious thankfully, and it made him feel better that it was usually a matter of pride instead of a lack of trust.

"No" A small blush tinted his cheeks when he felt Tsuki suddenly nuzzle further into his hair, god it must look so messy by now "Haibara told me something a while ago" And he really wasn't sure how to phrase what he wanted to say "She told me that it was actually dangerous for Kaito to conceive"

The blond's shoulders dropped a bit as he let out a breath. So that's what was worrying Shinichi? "I know, Kaito told me a long time ago" It had been a painful conversation but they'd talked through it.

Azure widened "He really told you?" He frowned "Then why are you guys... You know..." Trying for a baby when it could very well kill the magician.

Saguru's gaze softened "He promised that he wouldn't die, and that he'd take better care of himself" Kaito always kept his promises "I trust him to be able to keep himself alive" Kaito had gotten into a lot of dangerous situations before, but he'd always made it out of them alive.

"Oh" That actually sounded like something Kaito would do "I'm sorry for being nosy" He could have easily started an argument between his friends if things hadn't turned out so well.

"It's fine" Gold gleamed "You were just concerned about the both of us"

At the hospital, Kaito was on break since he was working a later shift than usual "I'm tired" He whined as he flopped onto one of the lounge couches. He couldn't help but pout at the fact that he still had a few more hours of work left.

"That means that you're doing fine" Nowaki laughed, Kaito was more prone to complaining when he was fine. It was only when he was hiding something that he didn't complain.

Indigos narrowed at his friend "Go away" He waved his hand in dismissal "Shoo" Nowaki's break was almost over "Let me complain in peace" His tone was rude, but he was smiling.

Nowaki smirked "Fine, enjoy your break all alone" He replied as he finished putting away his meal containers. He gave a wave which was returned before leaving the room.

Kaito sighed once he was alone, he'd taken a few days off of work and today was his second day back. It was a little easier than before to stop himself from bursting out in tears whenever he remembered what he'd lost, but it was still hard. Thank god he wasn't going to be working in the maternity ward for a while. He was pretty sure that he'd end up bawling eventually if he did.

He'd wanted to go to work right away to prevent himself from dwelling in his thoughts, but Saguru had advised him to wait a bit at the very least. His patients would take him more seriously if he didn't look like he was distressed, which he understood.

He got up, washing his face in the sink with cold water before seeking out his delicious supper from the fridge, he then popped the leftover spaghetti into the microwave to heat it up. Kaito glanced at the wall clock and sighed, just a few more hours until he could go home. Until then he'd keep up his poker face and face his patients in a way that made him seem reliable.

Saguru yawned as he put away the dishes, the leftover rice would be taken by either Kaito or himself to work the next day. Whenever one of them had to eat alone, they'd cook enough for two or more, just to save on the dishes. Though Kaito usually got the meals that required warming since there was a chance that Saguru wouldn't be near a microwave due to a case.

He heard the front door open and smiled, Kaito was home on time "Come here and help me clean up" He called as he turned off the tap, receiving an affirmative in response.

"Oh rice!" Kaito grinned as he spotted the cooker, waving his hand near it to check the temperature, finding it cooled down enough to store "What did you have with it?" He inquired as he fetched some storage containers from the cupboards as the blond dried his hands.

Gold gleamed "Grilled chicken" He replied as he motioned towards said leftover meat on the stove.

"It smells good" The magician sighed, wanting to eat it because chicken was delicious.

Saguru smiled "How was your day? Mine was quite lax for once" He was glad that Kaito wasn't one of those people that scorned meat and instead accepted that everyone had different opinions.

Chapter 12: Chapter 12

Notes:

Written May 17 2020
Posted on Wattpad June 1 2020
Posted here August 21 2020

NEXT UPDATE September 4 2020

Chapter Text

Kaito offered a small smile before starting to dish out the leftover rice into two different containers "It was quiet, but kept me mostly busy" Being busy had helped him to get through the day without truly tearing up.

Gold softened, he understood what the magician had meant about being busy "I talked to Aoko on the phone a few hours ago" It had been shortly after he'd gotten home from work.

"Oh?" The magician raised a brow as he sealed up the rice filled containers "It's been a while since I've actually talked to her" Him and Saguru had moved to Beika since it was closer to both a hospital, and the police station there. Not to mention that living closer to Ai was important since the young scientist was Kaito's main doctor of sorts. Both Aoko and Akako still lived in Edoka, though instead of Aoko's house, they lived in Akako's mansion. The red witch couldn't just leave her family home, it's magical history was important to her.

Saguru smiled softly "Yes, she did mention that" He handed Kaito the packed meat since the other was already in the fridge "You really should talk to her more often"

Kaito swiftly accepted the meat, placing it beside the rice "It's not like I mean to ignore her" Though that didn't stop him from feeling a bit guilty for neglecting his friend. He closed the fridge, turning towards Saguru "So what day are we going over?" Just like with Shinichi, they also went over and had dinner with Aoko and Akako off and on "Or are they coming here?" He wouldn't mind seeing his female friends, even if one of them was still a bit creepy.

"We're going there since Koizumi-chan wants to talk to you about something" The blond couldn't help but smirk at Kaito's sudden grimace "Aoko assured me that Koizumi-chan isn't mad at you" Gold gleamed "And that she has no plans on turning you into an actual bird again" It'd been amusing to see a magpie Kaito angrily chirp at the witch.

The magician scowled at the memory "Magpies don't even steal shiny things"

"I know Dove" Saguru was smiling "But it's a well known myth" Kaito pouted at the response since it was the truth. The two continued chatting for a bit longer before settling things for the night and heading off to bed, both males had early shifts.

The next day, Shinichi's physical appearance came as a surprise to the blond. The sleuth was standing near the coffee maker as usual, but the other was quite pale. Shinichi looked almost anemic with his pale pallor and dark bags under his eyes "What happened?" Saguru inquired as he walked up to the other, concerned. The sleuth had looked perfectly fine when they'd parted ways the other day. Gold narrowed at the bandages peeking out from the other's sleeves.

Tired Azure gleamed, a weary but genuine smile tugging at his lips "My life is weird" He replied, finishing up his cup of coffee before immediately going for another one "But it's fine now" Until the next odd thing happened in his life.

Saguru blinked, despite how bad the other looked, it seemed like Shinichi was in a genuinely good mood "Very well" Shinichi wasn't offering any details so he wouldn't pry "But you should hide the bandages better or just show them" People who didn't know Shinichi could possibly get the wrong idea if it looked like he was trying to be secretive about them.

"Oh" The sleuth winced, placing down his cup to loosen his shirt collar a bit to reveal more bandages by his left shoulder "Better?" He didn't want civilians to question his mental state.

The blond shook his head in exasperation "I don't know how trouble always finds its way to you" He smirked fondly "But to be honest, I'd rather it be you than someone who couldn't do anything to help" He was reluctant to admit it, but Shinichi was the better detective out of the two of them. He'd been really concerned after he'd started to truly see the other often, but had eventually come to the understanding that the sleuth was fine with it since it usually let him save a life or catch a killer.

"Yeah" Azure softened "Kaito was the one to stop me from thinking that it was a bad curse" He took a sip of his fresh beloved coffee "He made me see it as a way to bring justice instead of a punishment" His eyes gleamed "I don't let killers get away if I can help it" Very few criminals had truly gotten away from him.

Saguru laughed, that really was something that Kaito would do "Since yesterday was quite quiet" He paused, eyeing the other "Excluding whatever happened after hours" He amended, Shinichi snorted "I fear that today may not be as peaceful to make up for it"

As if to prove his point, Takagi came running over towards them. Both males shared a smile before draining their respective beverages.

"What are we working on today Takagi-keiji?" Shinichi inquired. Even though they were the same rank and all, habits were hard to break and they were fine with not changing how they called each other.

"A kidnapping" Takagi stated, tone serious.

Saguru nodded "Give us the details on the way" A kidnapping meant that there was a chance to save a life, but also that there was probably a time limit. They shouldn't waste time being idle.

Takagi nodded as he took off, both younger males following after him "Reiko Megumi, age 7 has been kidnapped" He breathed as they headed out of the building "Her mother was found murdered and her father was the one to report it as soon as he returned from work"

Shinichi grit his teeth, a child... Child kidnappings could be tricky "Have there been any demands?" Demands meant that the child was useful, at least for now.

"Not yet" Takagi shook his head "But there hasn't been enough time to really start worrying yet since the murder was confirmed to be shortly before the husband returned from his night shift" It took time to properly hide someone.

Chapter 13: Chapter 13 Overwork, Waiting

Notes:

Written May 22 2020
Posted on Wattpad June 8 2020
Posted here September 4 2020

Chapter Text

Kaito let out a tired sigh as he crouched in front of the toilet. He'd pushed his magic too far, but had managed to stop before he passed out. The magician was tempted to just shoot out magic until he did pass out because then he'd just have to deal with feeling weak when he woke up instead of the current nausea he was feeling now.

Weary indigos glanced around before he lowered his head, no, he couldn't do that. Passing out on the bathroom floor would be disgusting, even if he knew that said bathrooms were cleaned properly a few times a day. Not to mention that if he just randomly shot off magic outside of the washroom, there was a chance that it could be spotted. His healing could be subtle only due to the fact that he had something to focus the output on.

So instead of making himself pass out, he spent the next half hour squatting by the toilet wishing that he could just pass out. He didn't regret saving the guy who'd been in a car accident. The guy would have died for sure without a magical intervention, he just wished that the side effects didn't suck so much.

Years ago he would have passed out long before he'd been able to heal enough to ensure that the guy had a chance so at least that was something. Healing magic just takes significantly longer to master than normal magic, or at least that's what Akako had told him.

His brows knit together in thought as he contemplated what Akako wanted from him this time. The red witch rarely sought him out for anything specifically, so he couldn't help but feel a little worried. What if she wanted his blood for some weird potion again? Apparently his blood made potions more stronger than most blood.

A knock on the bathroom stall shook him out of his thoughts "You okay Kaito?" Nowaki called through the door.

A small smile tugged at the magician's lips "Yeah, the nausea is starting to fade a bit" If only he could heal it, but considering the reason for said nausea, he doubted that it would work. It'd probably just make it worse.

Nowaki stared at the door concerned "Just take your time" Rushing could just make it worse "I'll cover for you in the meantime" He'd scarfed down his lunch before going to check on the other since Kaito's break was almost over. It was the least he could do since Kaito was only like this because he'd saved a life.

"Thank you" Kaito breathed "I owe you" If he stood up now, he'd probably throw up. He wasn't too fond of the idea of testing that theory out.

The other doctor grinned "Make some of that chicken, broccoli and cheese casserole and bring it in some time" He offered, remembering that one time Kaito had been in a rush and had taken the wrong leftovers "Both me and Hiro-san really enjoyed" His boyfriend had been enthralled by it's taste "I don't know how you manage to make it taste so good" He'd failed when he'd followed the recipe Kaito had given him.

Kaito snickered, indigos gleaming "I'm good at cooking" He'd practised diligently until he was confident that he wouldn't end up poisoning himself or Saguru.

Nowaki rolled his eyes, ignoring the implication of Kaito saying that he couldn't cook "Well I've got to get back to work" He stated "Hope you start feeling better soon" He breathed before leaving the washroom.

Saguru eyed the docks, feeling wary of the situation as he and Shinichi waited for the kidnapper. He was laying flat on his stomach atop a stack of large shipping crates while Shinichi was doing the same on a stack to the left. If living with Kaito had taught him anything, it was that people usually didn't think to look up.

The kidnapper had thankfully called in for a ransom, and this was the meeting place. Despite how a voice changer had been used, it meant nothing if they knew where the criminal was going to show up. They knew that it wasn't the work of a group just due to how long it had taken for the ransom call to actually be made. If there was a partner, one of them would have called while the other hid Megumi.

The child's father, Reiko Matsuo, was going to drop off the ransom at the appointed location in a half hour or so while the two detectives waited to catch the culprit when he came to pick up the cash. There were also some other officers in civilian clothes a short while away, ready to come running the moment they were called.

Neither of the detectives had a guess as to who the kidnapper could be due to everyone's alibis, making them believe that it was someone who wasn't connected to the victims at all. The Reiko family was apparently very rich and apparently often looked the part. It wouldn't have been odd for someone to decide to attempt to get money out of them.

A small shiver ran through the blond, snapping him out of his thoughts. A light drizzle had begun to fall about 10 minutes ago, making him regret not putting on a coat before leaving the house. It was too close to the time so they were both stuck there until the kidnapper came since it would look too suspicious for them to be there. The two of them were both well known detectives after all.

Gold softened with sympathy when he noted that Shinichi was enduring the same predicament as him. The rain was cold, and neither of them were moving enough to keep warm. He could already hear Kaito scolding the two of them for not taking better care of themselves when they got back.

Shinichi grimaced, he was completely soaked and his bandages felt utterly disgusting. They were now doing nothing but pitifully clinging to his injuries so he swiftly removed them. The water was softening his injuries so he didn't want the bandages to get in them if they opened then closed again after drying.

Chapter 14: Chapter 14 Tactics, Jokes

Notes:

Written May 31 2020
Posted on Wattpad June 15 2020
Posted here September 11 2020

Chapter Text

Shinichi's shoulders reflexively tensed when an unidentified male entered his vision, the guy looked to be around his mid forties and had a good amount of scruffy facial hair. Telling by the man's actions, the guy seemed to be quite nervous with how he kept warily looking around. Azure narrowed, the guy didn't have any visible weapons, but there was always the chance that there was something hidden beneath his dark coat. He swiftly sent a text to their backup, telling them to carefully enclose the guy so that he couldn't escape.

The moment the suspect began to approach the bait case, both detectives shared a look before silently slipping down from their hidden locations. Saguru approached from the front, while he did so from the back, readying his dart watch.

"Why did you decide to murder Megumi-chan's mother then kidnap Megumi?" The male froze at Saguru's question, narrowing his dark gaze at the blond. The rain had picked up a bit so it was a little hard to see things from a short distance. Saguru kept his gaze locked with the male's, silently noting that Shinichi was sneaking up on the guy as they'd previously planned.

"Rich people are a bane to the world" The male growled, stepping back from the case, further from the blond but unknowingly closer to the sleuth "They hoard all their money for themselves, so it's only fair that I take some"

Gold narrowed, the male was reaching for his coat, most likely for a weapon. He took a step closer "That isn't a good reason for murder" He breathed, Shinichi was almost in range. The heavy rain had shortened the distance since the darts were so small, thus fragile "It is also a poor reason to endanger an innocent child" He scolded. Money was such a selfish thing to hurt someone over, especially children.

The male opened his mouth, only to suddenly collapse into an unconscious heap at the ground "I used the weaker darts so he shouldn't be out for long" Shinichi breathed, lowering his hand "He's the only one who knows where Megumi-chan is so I didn't want him out for long.

Saguru nodded "Then we should properly restrain him before he wakes up" Identifying him could come after the guy was no longer a potential threat to them. With that, the two detectives handcuffed and searched the guy, taking away both a handgun and knife from him.

"Kudo-kun, Hakuba-kun" Takagi ran up to them with relief a few minutes later "Eyeing the two for any new injuries "You two did a good job" He praised, glad that they were okay. Even though the two were arguably the best officers in Tokyo, he still couldn't help but worry whenever they were involved in a potentially dangerous situation. Maybe it was because one of them was a literal murder magnet, and the other was partnered with a crazy magician.

Shinichi offered a small friendly smile "Thanks for being part of the backup"

Saguru eyed the sleuth, Shinichi's cheeks were quite flushed. He turned towards Takagi "I'll take Shinichi to the hospital, he looks feverish" Shinichi's immune system wasn't as good as it was supposed to be ever since he'd gotten his own body back.

Takagi's brows pinched with worry, he was aware of the other's weak immune system "That's fine, we should be able to handle things from here" He easily agreed.

When the other left, Shinichi scowled at the blond "I don't need to go to the hospital" It was just another fever, he was used to fevers since he'd been getting them more and more often through the years.

The blond raised a brow "Your skin is inflamed from what I can see around your injuries" The cuts were random and looked like the sleuth had almost been mauled or something, it was quite curious indeed. Gold gleamed "And maybe I'm just using you in order to see Kaito"

Azure softened "You're really worried about him still?" Kaito was strong.

"Somewhat" Saguru breathed as they started making their way towards his car "He still burst into tears randomly, but he's been getting better" He doesn't see the outbursts anymore, but he catches glimpses of the redness around Kaito's eyes.

"He'll be okay" The sleuth affirmed, absently rubbing at one of the gashes on his wrists. Maybe he should see the magician, if only to get rid of how itchy his injuries were.

"I'm really curious to know what happened to you" The blond switched the subject.

Azure gleamed "I'm not saying anything yet, maybe in a few weeks though"

Saguru raised a brow "Are you just being difficult?" This was something that was more expected from Kaito than Shinichi. His eyes narrowed, suddenly feeling unsure "Please tell me that you're not actually Kaito are you?" Shinichi had been acting odd, and it was hard to tell between the two of them since they literally had the same face.

Shinichi snorted "No, I'm not Kaito" He couldn't blame Saguru for being wary since they had switched places before. Though it was always Kaito who was around Saguru. The blond could tell when it was a fake Kaito, but not when there was a fake Shinichi since Kaito was a master at acting. Saguru had actually gotten back at the two once by intentionally kissing Shinichi who'd been pretending to be Kaito at the time. Neither sleuth nor magician had been happy.

"Good" That was a relief, Shinichi's injuries didn't look fake "I'm not fond of the idea of kissing you again to make sure" The two got into Saguru's car. Kaito didn't drive much since the blond was concerned about how daring the magician could be, thus it was not their car, but his car.

The sleuth visibly shuddered at the memory "I'll punch you if you try" He eyed the blond "Then I'd tell Kaito" He did not want his friend to kiss him.

"He'd probably go after you for 'seducing' me" Saguru laughed "Don't worry, I like weird magicians" Kaito was the only one for him.

Shinichi rested his head against the glass, enjoying the coolness of the window. It was like it sucked away the warmth from his skin, it was nice.

Chapter 15: Chapter 15 Doctor Visit

Notes:

Written June 4 2020
Posted on Wattpad June 22 2020
Posted here September 18 2020

NEXT UPDATE October 2 2020

Chapter Text

"You two look like drowned rats" Kaito offered a small smile at the two detectives the moment he entered the room. One of the nurses recognized the two and had swapped places with him since detectives were known to be a pain to treat. Or at least these ones were, especially Shinichi, the guy liked to escape the hospital rather than stay and heal.

"I am quite sure that you shouldn't be talking to your patient like that" Saguru countered, noting that the other looked a bit pale.

Indigos gleamed "I'm sure that there won't be any complaint filed against me" He turned his attention towards the sleuth "Your injuries don't feel fresh to me" Saguru didn't feel hurt so he focused on the other detective.

Shinichi offered a shrug "I got them yesterday, but the weather must not have agreed with them" It was annoying that the other could just 'sense' if he was hurt or not. Kaito often ratted him out to their friends, it wasn't fair.

Kaito nodded "That feels about right" He turned towards one of the many drawers, pulling out some bandages and disinfectant "I'm a little tired today so you're going to have to be patched up the boring way" He did not want to be scolded if he passed out in front of them.

"Are you okay?" Gold narrowed, it was rare for Kaito to actually admit that he wasn't feeling well.

The magician flashed a smile "Yup" He took Shinichi's soaked shirt and put it near a heater "Today was just more busy healing wise than usual. When his gaze met the other's injuries, the magician couldn't help but frown "How did you even manage that?" There were cuts and gashes all in weird sizes all across the sleuth's arms and near his neck, he squinted. The cuts looked too precise to be done by some run of the mill criminal "Some of these actually need stitches"

Shinichi blinked "They didn't seem that bad the other day"

Kaito just clicked his tongue in response as he fetched more medical supplies, stupid detectives "They probably worsened from your constant moving" He put on some gloves and began to clean and disinfect one of the larger cuts before taking out a topical numbing paste "Since I'm currently at work, I'm obliged to numb the area before stitching you up" He breathed, hinting that he was annoyed with the other. He applied the paste before starting on cleaning another cut.

Saguru eyed the magician's work "It's odd to actually see you patch someone up without using your magic" He'd obviously known that the other was a good doctor, but it sometimes slipped his mind since he rarely saw him in action.

Indigos gleamed "Well I am a doctor" He took out a needle and thread and began to stitch up the first cut that he'd cleaned. He turned towards Shinichi "Visit me at home tomorrow, I should be fine enough to heal them by then" His eyes narrowed at the cuts, something felt off about them, they had a weird presence "I'm sure that you'd want to avoid scarring if possible" He paused "How did this happen? And why aren't they bleeding?" Shinichi had avoided answering the first time he'd asked, but he wasn't going to let it happen again.

The sleuth's shoulders slumped "I should have known better than to think that you wouldn't notice" He sighed "They were caused from a weird encounter with a magic user" It had been a kinda freaky experience "But they're not planning to harm me again"

Gold narrowed at Shinichi's explanation "How are you so sure?" It was suspicious to say the least.

Shinichi was silent for a few moments before replying "They just wanted my blood for something then made sure I wouldn't bleed out" He grimaced "It was weird, but they left soon after"

Kaito pursed his lips as he finished stitching up the last cut that required it "I should ask Akako, she's usually aware of most magic users in the area" He then fished out a few pills and handed some to both Saguru and Shinichi "Here's some fever reducers" He gave them a flat look "I'm not going to heal the colds that will attack in the night" He could just feel the illness taking root in the two "Next time, bring a coat" He was not going to let them neglect themselves due to the fact that Kaito could just always fix them up. He took out some bandages and began to wrap up the cuts.

Saguru lowered his head, accepting the pills "I'll be sure to bring one next time" He sighed, knowing that the other would not change his mind unless there was a major case that needed them. At least he knew that the magician would probably stay home to look after him "I dislike knowing that I'm going to be sick, and not being able to do anything about it but wait"

The sleuth nodded in agreement "Same" But at least he'd been smart enough to send Tsuki to Ai. The magician would have probably made him suffer for a few days before using his magic on his cuts if he'd made the dove get soaked as well. Ai liked Tsuki, so the scientist had probably dried and warmed the bird up if Tsuki hadn't managed to beat the rain.

"I'm sure that Ai-chan can help you with your cold Shinichi" Kaito's grin was dark "She did tell you that you needed to wear coats more didn't she?" The scientist had told the sleuth repeatedly that he needed to be more careful.

Saguru grimaced in sympathy, he was lucky that he had Kaito instead. At least Kaito wouldn't prick him with needles and run tests under the guise of helping because he was mad, unlike Ai "I would offer to let you stay after visiting..." He glanced at Kaito who was now filling out some things on the computer "But I doubt that Kaito will let you escape Haibara-san's wrath"

Kaito cracked a smile "You're completely right Saguru" His eyes never left the screen "Neglecting your health is bad"

Chapter 16: Chapter 16

Notes:

Written June 15 2020
Posted on Wattpad July 6 2020
Posted here October 2 2020

Chapter Text

When Saguru awoke the next day, he felt terrible. Both his eyes and throat hurt, and his stuffy nose was making it hard to breathe "I removed your fever" Bleary gold squinted as the blond rolled over to look at Kaito, who had a smug look on his face.

"Still feel horrible" Saguru complained, closing his eyes, he felt the need to constantly swallow due to it feeling like something was stuck in his throat, gross. He felt gentle fingers caress his face, brushing some hair out of it.

Indigos softened, a small smile replacing his previous smugness "I know" His instincts were yelling at him to help the other but he resisted them "But we both know that I shouldn't keep healing you every time you disregard your health" The magician breathed softly, he'd only fixed the fever since fevers could potentially become dangerous. Saguru would have to suffer through the rest of the consequences without his healing.

For a little while in the past, Kaito had stopped caring about how reckless he was since he'd just figured that he could always just heal himself afterwards. Thankfully both detectives had quickly put a halt to that mindset once they'd noticed. He didn't want that sort of reliance to happen with them like it had with himself, especially since he worked as a doctor now. What if they'd gotten really hurt instead of sick the other day? Kaito wouldn't have had enough power to help them and he really didn't want to start second guessing himself when it came to patients in order to always save some magic just in case.

Saguru let himself relax under his partner's touch, Kaito's finger's were soothing and had already worked some knots out of his neck. He was tempted to flip over and ask for a massage since he felt a bit stiff from laying still in the rain for so long. After a little while he felt the fingers leave, gold cracked open a bit, a confused noise escaping his lips.

Kaito let out a small chuckle, indigos gleaming softly "I'm going to go fetch the smoothie I made you" And with that he left the room. The two of them had easily learned that smoothies were great to eat when ill since they were both easy to eat and nutritious.

The blond sighed, even when punishing him, Kaito was still being kind enough to care for him. Since he knew that the magician was bringing up food, he forced himself to sit up, easily noting that he felt weak now that he'd tried to move.

"I've already eaten downstairs so you don't need to worry" Kaito stated as he re-entered their bedroom with a smoothie, a metal straw poking out from the top of the cup. Said smoothie was coloured with a variety of oranges, yellows, and reds.

"Thank you Dove" Saguru smiled as he accepted the bright beverage, wincing a bit after taking a sip. Lemons had been used instead of bananas "I guess I deserved that" He stirred his straw around to properly mix up the smoothie. Kaito probably had stuck the edge of the straw in a sour patch on purpose "Much better" Saguru grinned after taking another sip, it was now both tangy and sweet.

Kaito snickered "I couldn't resist" He admitted softly, crawling back into bed to lean against the other. Thankfully he didn't have to worry about catching the blond's cold, he'd just heal it before it started to take root "I love you, but I'm also annoyed with you"

Gold gleamed "So you're feeling how I usually feel towards you" He teased lightly.

"I'm not as annoying as I used to be" Kaito snickered, even he had to admit that he'd been kinda hard on the guy before they'd gotten close. How many times had he put dye in the other's shower head again? He couldn't really remember but it'd been a lot "You love me more than you're annoyed with me"

"Unfortunately" Saguru was smiling.

The magician blinked when he felt his phone buzz in his pocket, he pulled it out to check on it "Shinichi's here" He breathed, a smirk on his lips "I'll let him in, you can stay here if you want" He stated before heading downstairs.

When he opened the front door, he couldn't help but snicker "You look horrible" The magician laughed as he stepped aside to let the sleuth in. Shinichi's face was flushed with a fever and his eyes looked a bit glassy so he nudged the other towards one of the couches in the living room.

"I know I do" The sleuth huffed as he took a seat. He'd been scolded by Ai the other day.

Indigos softened "You'll feel a bit better after I heal both your injuries, and the fever" He allowed his wings to come into existence since he wasn't planning on laying back down again. Resting with wings wasn't comfortable so he usually hid then before sleeping. Tsuki suddenly popped her head out of the collar of the sleuth's jacket, cooing excitedly at the sight of her owner.

"Hopefully" Shinichi sighed as he began to remove both his coat and shirt. Since he'd been stitched up, the stitches had to be removed before Kaito could use his magic. They'd unfortunately had to learn that the hard way. They'd had to reopen the cut to remove the stitching then re-heal it, it hadn't been fun.

"You'll still suffer from the cold though" Kaito reminded him as he began to remove the stitches "It's your punishment" Indigos gleamed "Saguru isn't being cured either" Though unlike with the sleuth who he was going to send back to Ai, he was going to pamper Saguru a bit.

The sleuth grimaced as he felt the weird feeling of his stitches being removed, it hurt a bit, but not much to really matter. He'd have been offered something if he wasn't supposed to feel the pain "Favouritism" He deadpanned.

Kaito snorted "Of course" He finished removing the rest of the stitches, his hands were now glowing a soft white "I love him way more than you" He teased, knowing that Shinichi wouldn't misunderstand.

Chapter 17: Chapter 17 A Chapter

Notes:

Written June 16 2020
Posted July on Wattpad 13 2020
Posted here October 9 2020

Chapter Text

The magician's feathers ruffled a bit as he directed his magic towards the sleuth's injuries, a pleased gleam appearing in his gaze as said injuries began to heal without a trace. He used to occasionally leave scars behind, but he'd thankfully improved enough to prevent scarring when possible. Sometimes an injury was just too well known that it would've been suspicious without allowing it to scar.

A relieved sigh passed through Shinichi's lips, muscles losing a bit of tension at the loss of the pain "Thanks" He offered once the other pulled out of his personal space. He reached for his shirt and easily slipped it on. He still felt tired, but at least his cuts weren't annoying him anymore.

Kaito flashed a grin "Just try to stay out of trouble" He knew asking was useless, but he still felt like he had to. After studying Shinichi for a few moments, he let out a small sigh. He wasn't sure if it was a good idea to send the other away now "I don't know how you managed to get here, but you can stay until you feel a bit better" The sleuth was now pale instead of flushed, he didn't want to risk the guy running into trouble when unwell. Tsuki cooed from atop the magician's head, having messed up his hair more so than usual to make a nest of sorts, both males smiled at her antics.

The rest of the day passed normally, with Shinichi lying on the couch before leaving at noon after resting for a bit. Though he did sneak in a delayed healing spell onto the sleuth before he'd left. It'd been designed to activate at night so that Shinichi would be healthy when he woke up. The same spell had also been cast on Saguru since it wouldn't do for both of Beika's best detectives to be on leave for too long. His two friends solved most of the cases after all, even though they shouldn't have to.

Saguru smiled as he eyed Kaito, he'd woken up feeling refreshed. Gold softened as he watched the other let out a small yawn before stretching luxuriously, indigos blinking open moments after. Kaito's eyes were half lidded from sleep as he offered Saguru a sleepy smile "You seem like you slept well" The blond breathed.

Kaito wiped his eyes, removing sleepy tears from his yawn "I did" He gave a small nod before sitting up "It's weird since I know that we're going to visit Aoko and Akako today" Shouldn't thoughts of his friend's creepy house disrupt his sleep?

The blond used a hand to stifle a yawn of his own after watching Kaito yawn "Go shower" He glanced at the clock "I'll have breakfast done by the time you're done" He'd shower after breakfast.

The magician blinked, before a mischievous grin spread across his lips. Indigos gleamed "The upstairs shower is big enough for the both of us" He whispered, raising a brow "Wouldn't it be better for the environment if we shared?"

Saguru snorted, shaking his head "We'd end up using more water in the long run"

"I'll be good" Kaito smiled softly.

The blond rolled his eyes, planting a chaste kiss on Kaito's lips before pulling away "Impossible" He pointed towards the washroom "Go shower Kaito, Koizumi-chan called again and said that she wanted us to visit before noon" They'd be cutting it too close if he followed the other's whims.

Kaito's shoulders sagged, knowing that he wouldn't win "Fine" He snagged a fresh set of clothes to change into before heading towards the washroom.

Breakfast came and went easily with Saguru deciding to just make some french toast and fake bacon. Though the magician's had been topped with an unhealthy amount of both syrup and powdered sugar.

"I still can't get over that Aoko is living in this creepy house" Kaito grumbled as they exited the car. Akako's old family mansion stood tall in the forest, casting an eerie atmosphere over the whole area.

Saguru just shot Kaito an indulgent smile, they'd arrived just at 11 since it seemed like a reasonable time "Aoko probably doesn't even notice the atmosphere" Even he had to admit that it was a bit creepy "Things like that don't usually seem to affect her"

Indigos warily eyed the house before the two headed towards the door, not bothering to knock before entering because Akako just usually had it swing open creepily anyways "Ahoko!" He called as he stepped through the door, making Saguru grimace.

"Kitchen!" Aoko's familiar voice called, both males removed their shoes before heading towards the kitchen.

"Hello!" Kaito chirped when he caught sight of his female friend, his wings had been out since they'd entered the property.

"Still so rude" Aoko sighed as she put down the salad that she'd been making. She peered over at Saguru "Why hasn't your politeness affected Bakaito yet?" It was a bit disappointing that Saguru's nature hadn't infected Kaito's.

Gold softened with a smile "It's nice to see you again Aoko, it's been a while" He glanced around the kitchen to see that lunch was in the middle of being made "May I help?" He inquired.

Aoko returned the smile "Sure, you can cook the meat and Kaito's fake meat" She then turned towards the magician "Akako wants you to see her in her room" Her eyes gleamed at the uncomfortable look that crossed over Kaito's face.

"But then there'd be no witnesses..." He whined, wing tucking in tighter against his back. He liked Akako, she was his friend, but he didn't like being alone with her "Why can't we go to the living room?" Where they'd be closer to his other friends.

Gold gleamed as Saguru put a hand on Kaito's shoulder "We're guests, so go see Koizumi-chan" He trusted that the other wasn't in danger and it was fun to mess with Kaito.

Kaito's shoulders sagged, indigos glimmering with mock hurt "Traitors" His words were a dark whisper "The two of you are traitors" Despite his words, he began to head over towards Akako's room. It wasn't a bedroom, but where she did most of her scary potion making.

Chapter 18: Chapter 18 Potion

Notes:

Written July 2 2020
Posted on Wattpad July 20 2020
Posted here October 16 2020

Chapter Text

"It's nice to see you again Kaito" Akako's red eyes were gleaming in a way that made the magician want to exit the room. Kaito grimaced as her gaze took in his appearance, as if studying him, a dark smile tugged at the red witch's lips "You seem to be doing well"

Kaito flashed her a grin, despite his unease "Of course!" He had an amazing partner and great friends. His hand swiftly moved in front of his face, easily catching the item that the other had just thrown at him. Indigos blinked in confusion as he studied the item, it was one of Akako's potion vials, and it was filled with a shimmering red liquid "What is this?" He'd have thought that it was blood if not for the way it reflected a bit of the room's light as it moved.

Red gleamed, a mischievous smirk crossing over her face "It won't hurt you, and the cost has already been paid for you"

The magician turned his gaze away from the vial to study Akako "Already paid?" He hadn't missed that the other had neglected to answer his question.

"Trust me" At Kaito's dubious expression she smiled "Okay, then trust the person willing to make a deal with a witch for you" It had been an interesting interaction to say the least, one that she'd never even thought of.

Indigos narrowed as he frowned at the vial, not many people knew that Akako was a witch "Please tell me that Shinichi's blood isn't a main ingredient" It seems like Shinichi had neglected to tell them that Akako had been the witch that he'd met. Now that he thought about it, the other's explanation had been quite vague.

Akako nodded "I won't" Which meant that blood was definitely an ingredient.

Gah, blood was an ingredient "Why'd you go crazy cutting him up?" Kaito grimaced as he popped off the lid, swiftly downing the potion in an attempt to escape from the taste, almost choking from how unexpectedly thick the liquid was. Bleh, it tasted like blood, which wasn't too surprising.

"I needed to carve certain symbols during the blood drawing" She tilted her head "Afterwards, I cut him up to hide the symbols" Even though they hadn't been that intricate since the actual runes had been drawn with blood.

Okay, so the sleuth had gotten involved with Akako to perform blood magic, that was maybe just a little alarming "Since I've already taken the potion, will you tell me what it did?" He didn't really feel any different than before.

Red softened "It's to stabilize you better" The magician's existence as a 'non-human yet human' was odd. He wasn't, yet at the same time he was, human.

Kaito blinked "So I won't need to take crazy amounts of vitamins and minerals anymore?" Ai often prescribed him new ones or took some away depending on the results of each checkup. The amount of calcium and vitamin D alone that he took was enough to give a normal person kidney stones, fortunately that obviously didn't happen with him.

Akako smiled "In a way, yes. Your body will be more efficient in maintaining itself" Which will make things a lot more simple for the magician "But I'd advise attempting conception for at least two months until the potion finishes it's job" At Kaito's confused look she explained "The potion will be fixing your body's regulation, so it would be best if it's attuned to your normal condition" It'd just mess with his body more if he did manage to conceive before things settled.

"Okay" It was a little disappointing, but at least he could be with Saguru the normal human way. He was silent for a few moments "Why couldn't this have been done years ago?" He wasn't angry, just curious.

"I hadn't even thought about the possibility until Kudo brought it up" She admitted with a small shrug "The payment didn't mean much to him so he volunteered"

Indigos narrowed "What was the payment exactly?" Making a deal with a witch, even if they were friendly could be risky. Especially since the witch couldn't always choose a specific payment depending on the deal.

Akako smirked "Part of it was to fill the missing role in our old deal regarding your glamour" She wasn't saying the other part because it clearly hadn't mattered to the sleuth.

"Oh" He'd almost forgotten about the deal. Kaito couldn't help but grimace, Shinichi, Aoko's, and Akako's DNA mixed together with his own magic essence... The child would be terrifying. His mood dampened at the thought of children.

Red softened "Don't worry, Aoko and I aren't ready for a child yet" Hopefully by the time they were, Kaito would already have a Kid. Both her and Aoko agreed that while Kaito would agree at any time, it would probably be like rubbing salt in the wound considering the magician's predicament. They weren't that cruel.

Kaito eyed the other "I'm ready to complete my part of the deal whenever" His gaze softened "But thanks for helping me" She could be creepy, but she was a good friend.

Akako nodded "We should head down to check on how lunch is coming along" He paused, gaze flickering towards her cauldron "Unless you want to help me make some more potions?"

The magician shivered, wings rustling, allowing some loose feathers to fall out. He bend down, easily collecting them "You can have these instead" They were apparently great potion ingredients "I am not going to help any more than that today" It was always tiring to work on potions and he didn't feel up to the task.

"Very well" The red witch gracefully accepted the feathers, storing them away safely "You should collect all of your discarded feathers instead of wasting them"

Kaito snorted "I'm good with not giving you an unlimited source of my DNA" He knew enough about magic to know that doing so would be completely stupid.

Akako sighed, exuding false disappointment "It's a pain that you're not as naive when it comes to magic anymore" She'd tricked him with many harmless things in the past until he'd learned better.

Chapter 19: Chapter 19

Notes:

Written July 11 2020
Posted on Wattpad August 3 2020
Posted here October 23 2020

NEXT UPDATE is on November 6 2020

Chapter Text

"Oh, it smells good out here" Kaito breathed as he entered the mansion's backyard to spot Saguru grilling some burgers and hot dogs.

Gold gleamed "I'm glad to see that you're still alive Kaito" He teased, knowing that the other could have easily been turned into an animal by Akako.

Indigos narrowed, a small smile tugging at Kaito's lips "Why did you abandon me if you had doubts of my survival?" He let out a dramatic sigh "How cruel of you"

"Get off me" Saguru shook of Kaito, who'd latched his arms around his waist "You know better than to disturb me when I'm grilling" It was hazardous and burns were always one of the more painful kinds of injuries, not that the other had ever made him get burned while cooking of course. He just liked to be cautious.

The magician allowed the other to shake him off "I'm always careful" He wouldn't let Saguru get burned. Indigos gleamed "If I wasn't, I wouldn't have announced my presence first"

The blond eyed Kaito "What did Koizumi-chan want?" The magician looked a bit tense, but not in an alarming way.

Kaito grimaced "Shinichi apparently helped Akako with blood magic" He shivered, he needed to remember to scold his friend later "So I had to drink a potion that had his blood as one of the key ingredients"

Saguru blinked, that was, alarming "I don't think that it would be a good idea for him to start dabbling into dark magics..." The sleuth was seemingly already cursed as it was, he didn't want to think about what would happen if the other got into it seriously.

"I agree" Kaito nodded before pausing "You didn't even react to me saying that I basically drank blood"

The detective snorted "I am quite sure that the two of us have drank a fair amount of blood in out lifetimes" Not willingly of course, but they did have somewhat hazardous lives. Especially since Kaito often worked with the FBI along with Shinichi "It's not that surprising considering that you were with Koizumi-chan" He lifted the burgers up to check to see if they were ready to be flipped, they weren't so he put them back down.

"Anyways, we'll have to have normal gay sex for at least 2 months before we can do the magical kind" The kind that they've mainly been doing in an attempt for a baby "The potion was supposed to make my body work properly but it won't if I manage to conceive" Again.

Saguru's cheeks were tinted pink, forever grateful that neither female was near enough to hear Kaito "I have no qualms with that" It was a decent price to pay if it meant that Kaito's health would improve, it had actually taken a few years for them to realize that the other's body hadn't been working sufficiently in the first place. Kaito hadn't been slowly dying or anything, he just hand't been as healthy as he could have been. Gold suddenly narrowed in thought before brightening "If your body is going to work better, will that help with conception?"

That would be nice "If it did, I'm sure that Akako would have said something" Kaito sighed "But at least I won't have to take as many pills soon"

"They really weren't kind to the blender" Saguru smiled, he was pretty sure that Ai had made them so big just to irk them. They'd gone through so many blenders because the pills she made were so dense and Kaito had been too scared of her to go and buy store versions instead. The woman had given him the scariest glare the moment he'd just mentioned doing so

The magician grinned "Our current one is number 15 isn't it?"

Saguru nodded "Indeed" His favourite model had left the market. He unfortunately hadn't had any spares so they'd been forced to find a new kind.

"Is the meat almost done?" Both males glanced over to see Aoko, she was holding some plates.

The blond checked the meat, it looked quite good "Just another minute or two" He replied.

"I'll fetch the salad" With that, Kaito jogged inside to get said food.

"How can you tell which is Kaito's?" Aoko inquired after setting the plate down on a glass outdoor table. She peered at the meat curiously "It all looks the same out of it's package" Especially after being cooked. She was pretty sure that she'd messed it up before, if the way Kaito had occasionally eyed his food in the past meant anything.

"I just keep his food on the far left" Gold gleamed "Even if I did mess up, Kaito wouldn't be too annoyed" At Aoko's curious look he explained "The same amount of meat would have been eaten anyways" Asking for it to be fixed would have been a waste.

"Yup" Kaito grinned at how Aoko jumped at his response "Meat is tasty, but I don't like how the animals are treated" He spun the salad bowl on his right pointer finger "It's all Saguru's fault"

"Could you please stop bringing that up" The blond sighed as he turned of the grill and began to place the burgers onto a plate "I've already apologized multiple times"

Aoko let out a small giggle "I'm so glad that I didn't watch the video with you"

Saguru grimaced, noting that her father would have killed him if he'd ended up turning his daughter away from meat. Especially since the reason had been to mess with Kaito in the first place "I agree" He breathed, grateful for small mercies.

"I wouldn't mind seeing such a video" Akako smirked as she exited the house "It's good to know about the cruelty that humans are capable of" Not that any of them were unaware at this point. But there was always something different when it involved animals being harmed.

Indigos narrowed "No creepy topics while we eat" He huffed, fetching the two burgers that looked a bit separated from the rest "Especially not about poor animals while the rest of you eat said animal" Saguru gave Kaito a playful swat on the head, making him grin "Mean!" He snickered before taking a seat at the table.

Chapter 20: Chapter 20 Tired, Cafe

Notes:

Written July 20 2020
Posted on Wattpad August 10 2020
Posted here November 6 2020

Chapter Text

Shinichi yawned as he finished up his latest collection of paperwork, it didn't seem fair that the more good he was at his job, the more he was punished for it. It was always tedious, and by now, he could probably do it with his eyes closed. Sometimes he even got deja vu due and got confused due to how many times he'd gone through the exact same paperwork. It'd actually been quite embarrassing when he'd mixed up the paperwork once due to him thinking that he'd already done it for a case before.

The sleuth sighed, absentmindedly scratching the phantom itch of where he'd been healed on his wrist. Though even that was barely noticeable, the real problem was that he was bored. Tsuki fluffed out her wings a bit to stretch before nestling back into his hair.

"Oi, who does that guy think he is?" Shinichi ignored the background voice in favour of picking up his coffee mug and taking a sip. It was good, even if it was lukewarm "Pets shouldn't be allowed in the station!" Azure blinked, oh? He wondered why such a windbag was brought here.

Shinichi lazily turned his gaze towards the newcomer, keeping his face blank "Tsuki is causing less of a commotion than you" The man looked to be near his late fifties, what little hair he still had atop his head was grey. Azure narrowed, the male looked to be pudgy and was dressed up too formally despite the police badge he could spot peeking out of the guy's pocket. He could already tell that this guy was lazy and was most likely all talk, not to mention stuck up.

The man's face reddened at an almost alarming rate "Why you insolent-" He made the motions to grab at the sleuth, but was pulled back by Sato.

"I'm sorry Kudo-kun" Sato's eyes were sharp as she levelled the man with a disgusted look "Minichiro-Keibu  just wouldn't take no for an answer when he asked to check this place out" Her words were dry.

"I don't need you to apologize to a rookie for me!" Those who were nearby did their best to hold in a snort of laughter, Shinichi just hid his smirk behind his coffee mug "I wanted to investigate why this place has such an absurd success rate" He crossed his arms over his chest, puffing said chest out "There's something wrong here, paperwork must be going missing" It was the only excuse as to why this station had almost a perfect success rate. It wasn't natural.

Sato looked just about done with Minichiro "You're not even supposed to be working today Kudo-kun" She offered a small smile "Why don't you go home" The least she could do was to prevent Shinichi from being pestered.

Shinichi eyed Minichiro before locking his gaze with Sato's "Are you sure?" He didn't want to just abandon everyone.

"I'm sure" With that, she began leading the guest inspector towards Megure's office.

The sleuth hesitated for a moment before swiftly downing the remains of his coffee, he turned towards Ninoku, one of his co-workers "Can you file this for me?" He had a feeling that he should probably leave soon "It's already filled out"

Ninoku barked out a nervous laugh, grinning "Yeah" He accepted the paperwork "You should probably run before that jerk tries to confront you" He wouldn't let one of their best workers be pestered for just doing his job! Not to mention that he still owed the guy for taking that bullet for him a few months ago.

Shinichi returned the smile with a thankful one before collecting his belongings and speed walking out of the station. He'd long since learned not to run out of them unless it was serious. Since he was so good at his job, and well liked, people tended to run after him in an attempt to give him backup. It had led to a few awkward situations, Kaito had laughed so hard when Saguru had told him.

Once he was out of sight of the station, he looked at his phone, noting that it was around 3 in the afternoon. Going home may not be that good of an idea, especially if the stuck up inspector turned out to be the sort of person who was extra determined. He didn't feel like risking being harassed at his own house.

Kaito blinked, wondering if he'd been imagining things when he'd spotted Shinichi enter a maid cafe of all places. Wasn't the sleuth supposed to be at work? Maybe he should see what's up. Saguru and him had parted ways an hour ago to do whatever since spending all of their free time together wouldn't be classified as healthy. Curiosity now burning within him, the magician headed into the cafe, though not before flashing Tsuki a small grin. His dove was perched comfortably in a nearby tree.

Indigo immediately zeroed in on the sleuth, who'd tucked himself into the farthest corner of the place "What're you doing?" He inquired with a grin as he took a seat across from Shinichi.

"Hiding somewhere unexpected" Shinichi easily replied, not at all surprised by the other's random arrival. He'd been desensitized years ago. The sleuth's gaze eyed the menu, azure lighting up at the coffee selection "You?"

"I drank your blood a few hours ago" His words were quiet as he grinned "I've started to feel worried whenever I think of you and blood magic together" He skimmed the menu, indigos gleaming when he began reading the dessert section, they had so many chocolate dishes!

Shinichi gave an acknowledging hum "I don't plan on doing any more" Akako was creepy, even if she'd just been doing what she had to.

"Are you just going to get coffee, or are you going to get a treat too?" Kaito could tell that the other wouldn't answer him if he tried to ask what price had the sleuth paid for him, so he wouldn't ask "They have this lemon ice cream, you might like it" Unfortunately there wasn't any lemon pie.

Shinichi gave a small shrug "I might as well try it" Kaito would eat the rest if he didn't like it.

Chapter 21: Chapter 21 Desserts, Chatting

Notes:

Written July 26 2020
Posted on Wattpad August 17 2020
Posted here November 13 2020

Chapter Text

Indigos gleamed when the waitress brought over their orders, he'd decided to get the triple chocolate minty brownie deluxe sundae, and it looked even better than he'd imagined that it would. Three scoops of mint chocolate chip ice cream drizzled with chocolate syrup were resting on a good sized brownie, said brownie was filled with white and milk chocolate chips and covered in chocolate icing. The rainbow sprinkles and whip cream covering the whole thing added a nice touch of colour to his food.

"That looks disgusting..." Shinichi eyed the other's sugary treat with distaste, how the hell did the guy stay so thin? Not to mention the fact that he never got any cavities. He was quite content with his simple order of lemon ice cream, it thankfully wasn't sweetened by an obnoxious amount of sugar. He never understood why some lemon foods were sweetened, lemons were supposed to be bitter.

Kaito smirked, spoon in his mouth "And your food is boring" The warmth of the brownie and the coolness of the ice cream was so amazing "You could have at least added a blond brownie or some whip cream"

Shinichi grimaced at the thought "I'm not really in the mood for sweet things" He'd only really been planning on getting a coffee before the other had shown up.

"So" The magician paused to eat some of the delicious meal "If I'm not mistaken, you're supposed to be working right now" The sleuth wasn't one to just play hooky "So why are you hiding here?"

The sleuth frowned "Some nobody inspector barged in wanting to know why Beika has the best crime solving rate" He really didn't understand how the guy could have possibly become an inspector, the guy seemed too impatient "Some of my co-workers helped me escape before the guy learned about me" He couldn't help the small smile on his lips as he thought about them, they really were good people.

"Wait" Kaito sat up, sitting straighter than before "Are you telling me that the guy didn't know who you were?" He inquired incredulously. How could an inspector in Japan not know who Kudo Shinichi was?! The guy took down two worldwide organizations and solved crimes wherever he went. It took time to become an inspector, so the guy obviously wasn't new.

Shinichi gave a small nod, taking a sip of his coffee "That's exactly what I'm saying" He breathed "The guy even called me a rookie"

Kaito snorted, then promptly choked on his food, coughing for a few moments, thankfully he'd only breathed in a bit of his food "No" He gasped, pained tears in his eyes "He did not call you a rookie" There was no way that could have happened.

The sleuth smirked, deciding that his friend wasn't about to just die via choking "He did" If only the cameras in the station had sound, the guy would be a laughingstock.

"Oh my god" Kaito was cackling, just imagining the scene was hilarious "I wish I was there to watch!" Gods, that was comedy gold in the right social circles. His face felt like it was going to split open with how wide he was grinning "And you're probably going to have to deal with that guy eventually, aren't you?"

"If he visits my house and doesn't leave when I tell him to, I'll file a complaint" Shinichi sighed, doing so would be tedious "Then the guy might be put under review" Hopefully, he was pretty sure that there would be at least a few people who would jump at the opportunity to lower his power in the rankings.

Indigos gleamed at the answer "Whose side will they take?" He snickered "A bossy inspector, or the saviour of the Japanese police force?" The answer was already obvious. The magician then started to eye the other curiously "By the way, why aren't you an inspector?" The sleuth had already more than proven his own worth tenfold by now.

Shinichi blinked "I must have forgotten to tell you" At Kaito's curious look he explained "I was offered the position years ago, but I didn't want to deal with the paperwork" That and it seemed like after a certain point, there was less and less fieldwork in the higher positions.

Kaito nodded in understanding "I can't imagine you willingly staying in an office all day when you could be on the field instead" The other was just too proactive in his job.

"I'd die from either boredom or stress" The sleuth drawled "Saguru can't be everywhere, so there would be more missed murders" And by the time he knew about them, the evidence would most likely have been destroyed in a lot of the cases.

"Ah..." The magician winced at the thought, that wouldn't be very good "I'd probably end up butting in too much" He was technically a better officer than most of Beika's officers, which was sad since he wasn't actually an officer. He was just a doctor who may or may not work with the FBI off and on.

"So it'd be death by paperwork then" Kaito's involvement in cases often led to quite a bit of extra paperwork.

The magician let out a small giggle "Probably" He finished up his delicious meal, sighing contentedly "That was delicious" He was definitely coming back here one day, probably with Saguru.

Shinichi glanced down at his own empty bowl "It was okay" He admitted, it wasn't the best, but he'd had worse.

Kaito fished out the required cash and placed it on the table "Good luck with avoiding that guy" He grinned "Tsuki is really good at aiming things..."

Azure widened, a small laugh bubbling out "Thanks, I'll keep that in mind" He was pretty sure that Kaito had left some glitter in his house, for some reason.

"It's been a while since she's been able to pull a trick" He stood up "Anyways, I'm heading home now" Kaito flashed a grin "It was a nice date" With that he was suddenly gone.

Shinichi scoffed, rolling his eyes "Idiot" He breathed, though he'd been pleased to see that the potion hadn't harmed the other. He'd been sort of sceptical, yet hopeful of its effects.

Chapter 22: Flirty, Teasing, Play

Notes:

Written August 7 2020
Posted on Wattpad August 24 2020
Posted here November 20 2020

NEXT UPDATE is on December 4 2020

Chapter Text

"I'm back from my date!" Kaito called, indigos gleaming mischievously as Saguru looked up from his book in confusion "The food was great, we've got to go there together sometime" Saguru would probably appreciate the menu better than the sleuth had, and the blond had the added bonus of being his lover to make it even better.

He couldn't have been with Aoko since they'd just visited... "I take it you were either with Kusama or Shinichi" Saguru sighed, marking his page with a bookmark before closing it "We just had a decent sized lunch, you better be able to finish your super" If Kaito could hound him about being in the rain, he could hound the other on his nutrition.

Kaito stuck his tongue out, throwing himself onto the armchair's arm "I'll manage" He leaned over to give Saguru a peck on the cheek "Shinichi was hiding in a maid cafe so I joined him"

"...A maid cafe?" That was an interesting choice, but not one easily predicted.

The magician gave a wide Kid grin "The reason why is amazing!" With that, he promptly began retelling the sleuth's story.

"I truly don't know if I should pity that man or not..." The blond couldn't help the amused smile on his face "For everyone's sake, I hope that he doesn't bother Shinichi too much"

Kaito cocked his head to the side "Oh?" Indigos were gleaming "But don't you think it'll be entertaining?" He loved it whenever Shinichi decided to cause mayhem, especially when it was targeted towards a specific person.

Saguru made his face blank "Yes, but I'm his partner at work" He'd no doubt end up getting involved "It's already crazy enough without planned chaos being added to the mix"

The magician snickered at the thought "You love chaos, be honest" He shifted so that he was sitting on the other's lap, almost straddling Saguru "I am the embodiment of chaos after all"

"... You should really stop wiggling" Saguru breathed, voice slightly strained.

Kaito grinned impishly "Nah, I like that look on your face" Saguru's golden gaze was now staring at him with enough intensity to make Kaito's own cheeks flush a nice shade of pink.

The blond's pupils were small as he rested his hands on Kaito's hips "Very well..." In one swift move, he hoisted the other over his shoulder "It's been a while, so I don't mind" Kaito couldn't help but giggle as he was carried towards their bedroom.

"I love you so much" Kaito sighed as he snuggled against Saguru, he was aching in all the right places. It was great.

"You're so sweet Dove" Saguru just held Kaito close, enjoying their shared body heat "But I won't let that distract me from the fact that we need to clean up soon" Missing dinner wouldn't be good since they both worked the next day.

Kaito hummed, resting his chin on Saguru's neck "I wasn't trying to distract you" He nuzzled, giving the blond's jaw a soft nip "I was just stating the truth"

Saguru was silent for a few moments "You better not have just left a mark" Knowing Shinichi's luck, any makeup would probably be washed away due to them falling into a pond or lake of some kind. Kaito giggled, giving Saguru the answer "Kaito.." He was going to get teased, again.

Indigos gleamed "Don't worry, I'll just heal it"

Gold blinked "You can heal those kinds of marks?..."

"Yup!" Kaito nipped him again, a little less softly this time "They are technically just bruises after all" Sexy bruises, much better than the normal kind.

"...So all those times that I was forced to wear makeup" Gold narrowed "I didn't have to?" Kaito could have just easily healed all the marks?

"I liked knowing what you were hiding" Kaito chirped, not at all repentant. Saguru had never complained during the process after all.

"Asshole" The blond promptly shoved Kaito out of bed, making the magician squawk with surprise.

"Abuse!" Kaito whined, sitting up from the floor to rest his chin on the bed " I call unnecessary violence!"

Saguru snorted "I know for a fact that the pillows are on the floor near your side of the bed" There'd hardly been any noise when he'd kick Kaito off the bed "And the kick only worked because you weren't expecting it"

The magician pouted, puffing out his cheeks "It was still mean, what if I bruise?"'

"You're fine" The blond sat up, stretching before fetching his clothing "And I'm going to shower with the fish mat guarding the door"

Kaito visibly shuddered "Monster" He got up to collect his own clothes before heading towards the other washroom. At least this one had no finny things hidden close enough to just pull out.

After the two finished their respective showers, they headed towards the kitchen "I was thinking that we could have something light for dinner" Saguru breathed "Maybe we could just have some grilled cheese" They both had a decent lunch and breakfast, lots of protein, so it should be fine.

Indigo lit up "I want swiss and cheddar cheese" They tasted so great melted together "With some garlic powder" Just enough to give it a nice boost.

"I'm sure that we have the ingredients" Saguru replied as he pulled out a few slices of ham that he was going to fry before putting it in the sandwich "But if you want to eat with me, you should wait until the ham is cooked" It wouldn't take too long.

"Okay, then I'll just make some wraps for tomorrow while I wait" The condiments would be added into a small dish to be applied before eating. That way they wouldn't get all soggy and gross.

Saguru raised a brow "You're not going to have leftover grilled cheese tomorrow?"

"I'll have that the day after" He wanted to eat some wraps tomorrow, some non-greasy food "I'll feel gross if I eat too much greasy food"

The blond smirked "Just drink milk after" It cut the grease surprisingly well.

"Nah, I'm good" Kaito flicked a bit of lettuce at Saguru "I like my leafy food" It had a nice crunch to it.

"Then don't waste it by throwing it at me" Saguru huffed as he checked the ham.

Chapter 23: Chapter 23 Texy, Sweet, Plans

Notes:

Written August 8 2020
Posted on Wattpad September 7 2020
Posted here December 4 2020

Chapter Text

When Kaito checked his messages the next morning, he was both surprised and a little disappointed. Shinichi had texted him, saying that the FBI's most recent infiltration attempt had failed, said agents were now currently missing. He'd really been hoping that those guys would have succeeded.

With a sigh, the magician leaned against the headrest, fondly eyeing Saguru's sleeping face. Knowing Shinichi, he'd probably have to leave soon. Maybe he should make Saguru a nice breakfast before telling him. It still hurt to think about what happened, but he felt confident enough in his skills to not let it affect the mission.

A good half hour or so later had Kaito carrying up a tray holding two plates of blueberry waffles, strawberries, and some tea and chocolate milk up the stairs. Kaito smirked when the blond stirred at his entrance "Saguru it's time to get up" He put the tray on the nightstand before poking the other "Get up lazy" He gave Saguru's cheek a few more pokes "Okay, I'm going to sit on you"

"If you do, I'll kick you" Saguru grumbled as he accepted the cup of tea that Kaito had been holding out.

"Rude" Indigos gleamed as he plopped down beside the other before reaching over to grab the tray of food "And to think I brought delicious food"

Gold narrowed a bit "I was supposed to make breakfast today..." He eyed Kaito, noting that the other seemed a bit tense compared to usual "What happened?" The magician seemed to be attempting to bribe him with food.

"You shouldn't be so observant in the morning" Kaito huffed, not really annoyed. His smile fell as he focused his gaze onto the waffles "The FBI team failed, so they want Shinichi and I to go in"

Maybe he should have asked after eating, the food didn't taste as good anymore "I see" Saguru breathed "I was hoping that your assistance wouldn't be needed after all"

"Same" Kaito nibbled a bit on a waffle "At least afterwards you can tease me about being microchipped?" Normal trackers were just too risky and easier to remove. He gave a small smile "Former phantom thief, now easy to track"

Gold softened at his words "Are you okay to go?" Kaito had seemed better, but he wanted to be absolutely sure.

The magician nodded "Yeah, I'm better now" He leaned a bit against Saguru "I probably won't try to contact you when I'm there" Too risky, it'd be safe if they just cut contact just to be safe. It was still kinda unclear on just how invasive North Korea was with everything.

Saguru pursed his lips "I'd rather you not even attempt it" Kaito's safety was more important than him potentially missing the other.

"At least Tsuki will be living here again to keep you company" There was no way in hell that he'd even attempt to smuggle his beloved dove into North Korea.

"As much as I adore Tsuki, she can't replace you Kaito" The blond snorted.

Kaito grinned "Then it's a good thing that she isn't replacing me" He'd complete the mission, then return home safely. That was the only possible outcome in his opinion.

"I don't want to go in to work today..." Saguru sighed, he wanted to spend what time he could with Kaito before the other had to leave.

Indigos gleamed "Then it's a good thing that Shinichi's FBI friends called the both of us in, you for just today, and me, until I return" The bribery on top of his own reputation would prevent the hospital from firing him "My cover story is that I'm being semi-drafted to help some highly important people recover" The hospital would get a fair payment from 'lending' one of their best doctors for an unknown amount of time "Shinichi's is just that he's going undercover somewhere, and yours is just to give you a day with me before I have to leave" He'd gotten more details shortly after turning off the stove.

Saguru blinked "I just realized that this will help Shinichi avoid his potential stalker" The guy couldn't possibly follow the sleuth while he's undercover right?

Kaito snorted, letting loose a small laugh "I'm pretty sure that he'd prefer the previous agents succeeding over the chance to avoid a stalker" It wasn't just the agent that were missing, but also an unknown amount of children being harmed and sold "But I guess it doesn't hurt to look at what positives there actually are in this situation" Indigo glimmered, it was odd for Saguru to be the one thinking more positively than him.

"Where was that cafe you went to?" Saguru inquired "Since we're both free today, maybe we could go together"

Indigos softened, cheeks tinting a bit "It's near Teitan High" His hands glowed a soft white as he healed the marks he'd given Saguru the previous day "I would really love to go there for our date" Just because they lived together, didn't mean that dates weren't special to him. It was actually even more special since it wasn't being used as an excuse to see each other.

The blond nodded "Very well, we can go there for lunch" He smirked "Then we can smuggle some treats into the movie theatre to watch a movie" They'd buy popcorn of course, movie theatre popcorn was the best "I may be too full, but I figure that you'd be able to handle more food"

Kaito gave a mock glare "Are you trying to make me fat?" He nudged Saguru with his shoulder "It's no use, it's impossible"

"Of course not Dove, you wouldn't be able to fit in the ridiculous places you do if you were capable of gaining weight like a normal person" The things he's seen Kaito eat... Not to mention the quantity... It was a true mystery as to how Kaito never once even got a tiny bit pudgy. It wasn't like the guy had teenage metabolism as an excuse anymore. Saguru would be lying if he said he wasn't jealous.

The magician giggled "It's funny to see people's freaked out face whenever I exit an area that doesn't seem to be possible"

Chapter 24: Chapter 24 Date, Chocolate

Notes:

Written August 16 2020
Posted on Wattpad September 14 2020
Posted here December 11 2020

Chapter Text

Time seemed to fly by pleasantly as the two chatted and cuddled together to kill time before making their way towards the cafe. Though when they entered together, one of the maids gave Kaito a dirty look, the magician just grinned "Yesterday was just a friend" It wasn't any of her business, but he'd rather enjoy his time here without getting dirty looks. The maid blushed a bit before leading them towards their table.

"I honestly thought that you could have been joking about it being a maid cafe" Saguru breathed once the two of them were seated. He glanced around, taking in the homey decor, deeming it to be quite comfortable.

Kaito smiled, indigos gleaming "I think the only difference between this place and a normal restaurant is the uniform" There was unfortunately none of the acting that's occasionally seen in some anime. He couldn't help the small laugh that escaped him at a new thought "Can you imagine Shinichi's face if they greeted him as 'Master'?"

Saguru snorted "We probably wouldn't be eating here since he would have found a different place to hide" He could just imagine the sleuth quickly backing away from the maids, the poor guy still wasn't that good with social situations when alone.

The magician picked up the menu, tempted to get the same thing as last time. He peered over it towards Saguru "I'm going to have to eat healthy food first won't I?" Chocolate was healthy, it had good protein and was made from milk. Sadly nobody he knew ever agreed with him on that topic.

"Yes" The blond smirked "You can fill up on junk food later, but you must eat healthy food first" He just knew that Kaito would be living off of unhealthy takeout once he left on his mission, it tended to happen whenever the other was around Shinichi for too long. The sleuth couldn't cook so he'd coerce Kaito to order takeout, then Kaito would end up getting lazy and would keep ordering food instead of cooking. It wasn't a guess, it was guaranteed.

Kaito gave a small pout, shoulders slumping dramatically "Fine, then I'm going to have the rice omelette..." He paused "And strawberry milk" Just to be defiant.

Saguru shook his head in exasperation as he called over a waitress to order their meals, except he replaced the strawberry milk with chocolate milk. Once the waitress left he gave his date a deadpan stare "I swear" He sighed "I'm in love with a child"

The magician just smiled innocently "I didn't do anything, strawberry milk is awesome too you know"

"I know" Gold stared into indigo "But I also know you and your addiction to chocolate" He himself was actually quite fond of strawberry milk, but usually preferred tea if it was available.

Kaito shrugged "It's not my fault that chocolate is amazing"

"It's probably what kept you functional when we were in high school" Wasn't chocolate high in caffeine?... With how much the other usually ate... Oh, so maybe Kaito hadn't been joking about withdrawal when he and Aoko had banned him from chocolate that one time... Why did he only just realize this now? Saguru grimaced at his thoughts "I think that you're actually addicted to the caffeine in chocolate"

"... I'm not cutting down on the chocolate" Indigos gleamed "If Shinichi is allowed to consume unhealthy amounts of coffee, then you can't take away my chocolate" He rested his chin on his palm "Besides chocolate is healthier than coffee, more nutrients" Their conversation was cut off by the arrival of their food, Kaito eyed Saguru's food curiously. The blond had ordered a fancy looking sandwich, the bread looked toasted and he could smell garlic "Is that made with garlic bread?" He inquired incredulously, wasn't Saguru just telling him to eat healthy?

"Indeed" The blond lifted the top to reveal that cheese had been melted onto the garlic bread "It's been a while since I've had it" His sandwich fillings consisted of unbreaded chicken and some lettuce.

Kaito's mouth was watering just looking at the sandwich, his own meal looked boring compared to Saguru's "I'll make my own version of that when I return from my trip" There was no way he was going to mention a mission inside of a cafe.

Gold softened "Yes, when you return" Because there was no other option other than returning. They both began to eat their respective meals, with Kaito offering Saguru a bit of his omelette in return for a bite of the garlic bread. Kaito of course finished first, so he went ahead and ordered himself a slice of chocolate and strawberry cheesecake so that he wasn't staring at Saguru to finish.

By the time Saguru finished his own meal, Kaito had finished his cheesecakes "... I suppose baked treats are more healthy than processed ones..." They called over a waitress to order another round of desserts. He may as well allow Kaito to fill up on the more nutrient filled treats rather than whatever they would smuggle into the theatre.

"Baked goods are so good" Kaito gushed "Why don't I bake more? I should really bake more" Then he'd have a limitless supply of baked goods.

"You don't have time to bake" Saguru replied as they waited for their dessert "We're lucky that we have time to actually cook good meals for ourselves" Kaito was known enough to be able to spend most of his time at the hospital if he really wanted to, thankfully the other preferred to spend time with others outside the hospital unlike some renowned doctors he's heard horrible family life stories about.

"... Maybe I'll have takeout once a week to give me time for baking" Kaito breathed moments before their dessert arrived. Kaito had gotten the white chocolate pudding cake, it was a fudge cake filled with vanilla pudding and melted white chocolate. The firmness of the fudge was what allowed the liquid to not make a mess.

"Very well" It could be worse he supposed, he glanced down at his own chocolate strawberry cake "So long as you clean up after yourself it should be fine" Kaito was an adult, he wouldn't control him.

Chapter 25: Chapter 25 Flirt, Grease, Sweet

Notes:

Written August 29 2020
Posted on Wattpad September 21 2020
Posted here December 18 2020

NEXT UPDATE is on January 1 2021

Chapter Text

"That was nice" Kaito was smiling as they left the cafe after both finishing their meals and paying for said meals.

Saguru nodded, pleased by the other's content expression "I saw the trailer for the Sonic The Hedgehog movie" He eyed the magician curiously "What do you think about viewing that?" It had looked a lot more pleasant than the trailers when said movie was initially released. Neither of them were into the sappy romance movies, nor the horror ones. The horror ones they couldn't watch in a theatre anyways since the both of them would critique it too much and end up ruining it for everyone else.

Indigos lit up "I'd love to" Why wouldn't he enjoy watching a snarky blue hedgehog destroy what the other characters had thought was reality? Not to mention that Sonic had looked adorable in the newest version. He clasped the other's hand in his own "So..." He smirked "What do you think I should smuggle into the theatre?"

The blond gave Kaito an incredulous look "Does it matter?" Gold was shining with amusement "You probably have everything you want already on you"  He snorted "And no, I'm not going to search you" That would be counterproductive to their date.

"Aww" Kaito stuck his tongue out childishly as they reached the car. Once they were in it, indigos glinted mischievously as he leaned close to Saguru's ear "Maybe later then?"

Saguru shivered, tickled by the other's breath "Maybe" He relented. Which meant that it was probably guaranteed since Kaito was leaving soon.

Kaito sat back in his seat, feeling proud of himself "I'm carrying a few pounds worth of chocolate" And no, it wasn't melting, he was just that good.

The blond really wasn't all that surprised "I had thought that you smelt more chocolatey than usual" Kaito always had a faint smell of chocolate clinging to him due to how much of it he ate.

"Oh?" He could hear the grin in the other's voice "So you smell me often?"

"It's hard not to smell you when you cling so often" The blond snorted "You especially reek after performing a long surgery during the summer"

Kaito pouted, crossing his arms "If you weren't driving I'd smack you" They talked idly for the rest of the car ride.

Purchasing their tickets and popcorn had been easy "Dove..." Saguru's brows were pinched as he watched Kaito with a bit of horror "We paid for extra butter..." So why was the magician coating his popcorn in liquid margarine? The steady flow has been attacking the other's popcorn for over a minute now. He was thankful that they weren't sharing a bag of popcorn between them.

"Every piece must be soggy" Kaito's tone was dead serious "It's the best way to enjoy popcorn" The leftovers would be amazing after the margarine had soaked in. His finger was still pressing the button.

"I think that's enough now..." The blond hooked his arm around Kaito's and led him away from the liquid margarine dispenser and towards the viewing room instead "Your hands are going to be so greasy afterwards"

Indigos glimmered "I'll just lick them clean" He was tempted to say that Saguru could help or do it for him, but there were kids around. He wasn't going to underestimate a child's selective hearing. It could be scary.

Saguru just shook his head in exasperation as they headed towards their seats in the back of the theatre "Disgusting" Since Kaito was so tactile, he'd probably have to use the extra strength detergent to get the grease out of his own clothes later.

"You're just jealous that I can eat however I want and still look awesome" Kaito snickered as the lights went out. The two of them stopped talking to watch the movie.

Kaito was buzzing by the time the movie ended "That was so awesome" He grinned "They hinted at the possibility of a sequel near the end..." He really wanted a sequel. Tails had looked adorable.

Gold softened "We'll see it together if it ever comes out" They both stood up, checking their seats to make sure that they hadn't left a mess behind. They weren't rude and disgusting slobs like some people were. They knew how to clean up after themselves.

"I can't wait" Since they hadn't made a mess, they headed out. Though the magician did sneak a bunch of wrappers into the trash cans. They were wrappers that didn't belong to any of the food sold there. It wouldn't be as fun if they weren't after all, it made things more risky, thus more fun.

Saguru eyed the other "What do you propose we do now?" He inquired "Should we continue the date or head back?" It was still too early to justify staying out for supper.

"Hmm" He was tempted to be mean and touch Saguru with his greasy hands "I think I should go wash my hands and then we can decide on something" He gave a small shrug "If nothing else, we could just walk through the mall or something to kill some time" He'd be nice and not bother the other with worrying about grease stains. He headed towards the male restroom, hoping that it was sanitary, thankfully it was.

In the end, they couldn't think of anything, so they decided to go to the mall to look at weird things that they were never going to buy. It was nice since they could just hold hands and enjoy each other's presence while making fun or crazy outfits or figurines. Kaito had even managed to wrangle Saguru into a hoodie that had cat ears attached to the hood.

"It's the same colour as your hair!" The magician giggled as he took a picture of the blushing blond, it was definitely going to become his new lock screen photo "It suits you"

Gold narrowed, his cheeks warm as Saguru crossed his arms "Something like this would suit you more" He sighed "You certainly are mischievous like a cat" His gaze lit up when he spotted a version that matched Kaito's hair colour, it was in the other's size as well "See, they even have one for you"

Chapter 26: Chapter 26 Dinner, Sleepy

Notes:

Written September 7 2020
Posted on Wattpad October 5 2020
Posted here January 1 2021

Chapter Text

Kaito smiled to himself as he and Saguru continued to walk through the mall. He'd actually managed to get the other to buy the matching cat ear hoodie with him, said clothing was neatly tucked away in a shopping bag hanging off his arm. The magician knew that the other would probably never wear it outside, but that was completely fine, they could wear the matching hoodies in their house.

Eventually the time passed enough until it was considered a decent enough time to have dinner "Hey Saguru, do you want to grab something from the food court or find something else to eat?" Kaito inquired, tilting his head towards said food court as they passed it. He personally had no preference since the day had already been amazing in his eyes.

The blond eyed the court tables, noting that there was already a fair amount of people at them. While he didn't mind food courts, he wanted to have Kaito for himself "I wouldn't mind grabbing something to go from here"

Kaito nodded "Okay, someplace that won't have their food go soggy too fast..." He took note of some places, and immediately crossed a few off of the list "I think that fry place lets you choose your own condiments" He pointed towards a NY Fries place "Their food is actually quite good"

"Hot dogs and fries it is then" Saguru affirmed as they headed towards the cashier. He was actually secretly fond of their food.

The two ordered their meals before leaving the mall, food in tow "Today has been nice" Kaito breathed as they sat down on some grass away from the doors.

"It has" Saguru agreed, looking up at the sky, it was getting dark, but it was still quite easy to see "We should just go out together more often" It felt nice just to go around and not worry about cases. To just enjoy the other's company.

"I'd like that" Indigos were gleaming as the magician took another bite of his veggie dog "We'll have another date after I get back okay?"

"It's a promise" Saguru nodded, swatting Kaito's hand when he spotted the other going to snatch some of his fries "You haven't even finished your own" He scolded, smirking.

The magician snickered "So?" The two talked and ate for a good while until their food was done.

"We should head back soon" The blond stated, it had gotten dark out while they'd been eating "What time are you going to meet Shinichi at the airport?"

Kaito sighed, rolling back so that he was laying on the grass "Our flight is at 9 in the morning..." So that meant that he should probably get there around 6 just to be safe, it wasn't a leisure trip so it was better safe than sorry "I'm going to have to get up super early" He whined.

Gold softened "Then we really should be getting back if we want to make it there in time" He reached over to give the other's hand a squeeze.

The magician blinked "You don't have to come, you should sleep" Saguru had to go to work tomorrow.

"I'll be fine"Saguru replied, gold glinting "I seem to recall that I've functioned on less sleep before due to Kid heists. I highly doubt that the day will be less energy consuming than your heists" Very few criminals actually started crazy chases like Kid had.

"If you say so" If Saguru said it was fine, it was fine "I wouldn't mind seeing your pretty face longer than I'd initially expected"

The blond rolled his eyes "Your face is prettier than mine" He snorted, collecting their trash before standing up. He glanced around before spotting a trash bin. He promptly disposed of their trash.

"Having a pretty face can be useful" The magician was grinning. He'd gotten away with so many things because of it, even when he wasn't disguised.

"Yes, Yes" Saguru breathed, waving his hand in dismissal "I'm already aware of the fact that you like to weaponize your good looks and non-overly masculine appearance" He'd seen Kaito in countless female disguises before "Let's go home" The two headed back to the car, Kaito taking the passenger seat like always.

By the time they reached their house, it was already part 10pm, nearing 11 since they'd taken a detour to get ice cream. Kaito stifled a yawn as he curled up beside the other, all set and cozy in their bed. He'd delayed the inevitable action of sleep for as long as the blond had allowed. Sleep came easily to him.

Saguru scowled, gold squinting open at the sound of the alarm. He shot the alarm clock a glare since it was too far away for it to be turned off without him getting up. He glanced over at Kaito, noting that the magician was still sleeping, the guy was drooling as he hugged his pillow "Kaito get up" He growled, voice still thick with sleep, it was way too early to be awake right now. He gave the other a little shove.

"Five more minutes..." Kaito whined, still half asleep but slowing waking as the seconds went by.

"No, get up" Saguru pinched Kaito's nose until the other was forced to wake up and push him away.

"Jerk" The magician yawned, getting up to turn off the alarm.

"We need to get ready so that you don't miss your flight" Saguru countered, still feeling sleepy. He wasn't a morning person until he got tea or an adrenaline rush from being called into a case.

"Meh" Kaito trudged down to the kitchen to make himself some hot chocolate and to start the tea for Saguru. He sometimes wished that he'd kept his odd ability to wake up after a long night from high school. Tired indigos glanced over when the blond joined him in the kitchen "You still don't regret waking up too?" He inquired, a small smile tugging at his lips.

"I'll be fine once I'm more awake" Saguru promised, stifling a yawn. After some tea and a quick shower, he'll be good "At least you can sleep on the plane" He offered.

Kaito nodded "Yup" Shinichi would keep a look out.

Chapter 27: Chapter 27 Departure

Notes:

Written September 20 2020
Posted on Wattpad October 12 2020
Posted here January 8 2021

Chapter Text

Saguru glanced over at Kaito, the magician was wide awake and alert by his side as they entered the airport. There was absolutely no sign of sleepiness visible on the other, despite how Kaito had been dozing in the car not too long ago. Kaito's suitcase was light, filled only with items that he was willing to lose. He'd even gotten himself an old cheap smartphone to bring instead of his usual one "Do you know which gate you're supposed to go through?" He inquired.

Kaito blinked, a sheepish smile crossing over his face "No, but that's what Shinichi is for" Indigos gleamed "He's the one who has our tickets"

"I didn't want you to go off without me" Both males turned to see the sleuth approaching, a small suitcase trailing behind him. Shinichi offered a wave "Sorry for making the trip so early in the morning Saguru" He apologized.

"Oi" Kaito frowned "Why are you just apologizing to him?"

Shinichi smirked "Because I know that you're better at waking up outside of routine than him" He was a hypocrite since the one who was worst with mornings was actually himself, but there was no need to mention that.

Saguru smiled at the interaction, he was going to miss the two of them "Please don't just order out food while you guys are gone" He knew it was bound to happen, but maybe he could make them wait longer than usual before getting lazy? "The two of you will need to be in top form"

A faint pink tinted the magician's cheeks "You've seen what I'm capable of on only energy drinks and 3 hours of sleep" He could work his magic no matter how badly he ate "Takeout isn't always unhealthy you know" He smiled "I'll order some salads to go with my meal" And some extra goodies because there was bound to be some cool Korean desserts for him to try.

"Ordering out is better than having me cook too often" Shinichi countered as they passed through a few gates. His skill was limited so it would limit their food options if he were to cook too often.

"I tried" Saguru sighed, though he wasn't really all that surprised.

Indigos softened "We'll take good care of each other" He and Shinichi have gotten through a lot of dangerous shit together, and they'd do the same this time as well "You know what we're capable of whenever we team up" Kaito was grinning now.

Saguru's smile was soft, but sad "I do" As much as he didn't like to admit it, Kaito and Shinichi made a much better team than Kaito and himself. The two just had this synergy in their teamwork that he just wasn't capable of. Instead of jealousy, it gave him a form of relief whenever the two had to go off on some dangerous mission. He knew that the two would have each other's back, which would allow the both of them to return relatively unharmed.

Shinichi eyed the interaction, feeling a bit bad for Saguru. If he were in the blond's place, he'd be worried sick and annoyed that he couldn't go too "Remember, don't feel alarmed if we're gone for months" No news would actually be good news in this situation "If anything goes wrong you'll be given a call, otherwise we're to be considered safe"

The blond grimaced, months? That was quite a long time. He ducked his head in begrudging acceptance "I understand" He would handle it since neither of them would be alone. He trusted their skills. Gold softened "It'll be very quiet without the two of you"

Kaito tilted his head, indigos narrowing in thought "I've been wanting a kitten for a while now..." It was the truth. He offered a small smile "It obviously wouldn't be the same, but if Tsuki isn't enough, you can pick one out" Watson had been released into the wild two years ago, since it wouldn't be fair to keep her all her life. The hawk had deserved the chance to start a family and she'd been deemed capable enough to survive on her own in the wild by a wildlife rehabilitator. Tsuki was currently their only pet "It'd have to be young enough to grow up to see birds as family instead of food though"

Saguru barked out a laugh "A kitten would be nice" They didn't need as much attention as dogs but were free roaming "I'll think about it"

"You could make it favour you so that Kaito will always be second best in it's eyes" Shinichi added, thinking that the idea of Saguru getting a kitten would be perfect. The last time Kaito had been gone so long, the magician had been kidnapped and experimented on. This would be the first time since then that they'd be separated for months.

"No!" Kaito's tone was panicked, but he had an amused gleam in his eye.

"Maybe" The blond breathed "I'll feed it canned tuna often and maybe some sardines" He smirked at how Kaito visibly shivered at his words "It's name could be Fishington the Fishy"

"That makes absolutely no sense!" Kaito squeaked, horrified at the thought.

Gold softened as Saguru took Kaito's hand, giving it a gentle squeeze "I know" He breathed "I would never do that to you Dove" A bit of teasing was fine, so long as it didn't escalate enough to actually terrify the other "I'm going to miss you"

Heartbeat calming, Kaito swallowed "Same" He was going to miss joking and teasing the blond.

Shinichi politely looked away as the two kissed and hugged each other, understanding that they needed to do this. He gave them a few minutes before disturbing them "We should carry on" They shouldn't attract too much attention before the mission.

"Oh" Saguru's cheeks pinked "Yes" he coughed awkwardly, gold glancing around to see that a little girl had been watching them. The girl grinned then ran off towards a couple, probably her parents.

Indigos gleamed at the blond's flustered face "Shinichi's right" He liked having that effect on the other. He hooked his arm around Saguru's, cocking his head and brandishing a smile "Walk me there?"

"I'd love to" Saguru replied, the more time he spent with Kaito, the better.

Chapter 28: Chapter 28

Notes:

Written October 1 2020
Posted on Wattpad October 19 2020
Posted here January 15 2021

Chapter Text

Saguru stifled a yawn as he opened the fridge, pausing when a weird smell hit him. That was odd, he and Kaito were usually pretty good when it came to keeping their fridge clean. He searched around until he found the culprit, it was the wraps that Kaito had made a few weeks ago. Saguru grimaced, gingerly picking up the mold filled ziplock bag by one of it's corners, tossing it into the trash. Even though the outside of the bag was technically clean, he still didn't like touching it. What if he touched it wrong and felt how squishy it was?

Without the sleuth around the station, the amount of work that the blond had to do had increased quite a bit. It had been a blessing in disguise. Having less free time had kept his mind occupied for the most part, making Kaito's absence easier to deal with.

The blond pulled out a plate of rice from the fridge, placing it into the microwave to heat it up. Maybe he should have some strong coffee instead of tea today, he still felt tired. He blinked when the microwave beeped, moving to retrieve his meal.

Gold narrowed as he settled down to eat, suddenly recalling that he'd been told to take the day off today. Maybe he should head in anyways, it wasn't like he could get in trouble for working, yet. From observing Shinichi, he'd learned that it took at least two months of no free days before the department started to hound you. He still had a fair amount of time before he reached that point, so it should be fine. By the time Saguru both finished his meal, and drained his coffee, he heard a knock on the door. He got up to check, noting that it was Nowaki.

Nowaki grinned "I'm going to kidnap you Hakuba"

Saguru pinched his brow, a smile threatening to make its way onto his face. Those words coming from the other weren't really all that concerning "Good morning to you too Kusama" The doctor most likely was aware of Kaito's absence considering their relationship. He stepped to the side, tilting his head towards the opening "I need to clean up a bit first"

"Right" The doctor nodded, accepting the silent offer to enter by removing his shoes and making himself comfortable on the couch "I'm in no rush" The other seemed to have woken up a bit later than usual.

Knowing that Nowaki wouldn't do anything to the house, the blond put his dishes into the sink before heading upstairs to change out of his pyjamas. Now that he was apparently going somewhere with Nowaki, he probably wouldn't be able to head into work today.

While he was waiting, the doctor stretched his arms back, getting rid of some stiffness. It'd been a while since he and Saguru had hung out together due to their schedules, and he'd figured that by now the blond probably started to get bored without Kaito. They weren't best friends or anything, but they got along well enough to consider each other as friends. Since they were friends, he knew that unlike Kaito, the blond's social circle was quite small. Normally that was fine since Kaito was usually around, but he wasn't right now, which meant that the other was bound to become bored or lonely without some outside interference butting in.

"So where are you taking me today Kusama?" Saguru inquired as he reentered the living room, this time wearing a tan button up and some dark brown slacks.

Navy gleamed "That new aquarium that just opened up" He had a pretty good feeling that the other hadn't yet checked it out yet "Then after we can eat at the food court there" Another thing that probably didn't happen often, due to Kaito's fear of fish.

The aquarium? That actually seemed interesting "Shouldn't you be taking your boyfriend instead of me?" Saguru inquired, a gleam in his eyes.

Nowaki smiled "I'm going to take Hiro-san another day after I learn the layout and a ton of information" That way he can impress Hiroki by being able to answer any questions he has.

The blond's lips quirked into a small smile "Of course" He'll send Nowaki's boyfriend a vague message later to prevent any misunderstandings since said boyfriend could be insecure at times. He wouldn't spoil anything, but would say that Nowaki had been helping him.

Meanwhile, Shinichi couldn't help but grimace as he placed a cool rag over Kaito's forehead. The magician wasn't sick, but his head was killing him from using his false eye's recording function for too long. Thankfully it hadn't overheated enough to cause any damage.

"Why didn't I upgrade my eye to prevent overheating before leaving?" Kaito lamented, sprawled across his bed, they'd gotten a two bedroom hotel room "I knew that I'd need to use it" He grit his teeth "And I also knew what happens whenever I use it too much"

The sleuth sighed, pitying his friend "It's not like you use it all that much" Neither he nor Saguru had remembered either. It was much too easy to forget that the magician was actually half blind "At least you get a warning before it becomes too much" That was one good point at least.

Kaito let out an annoyed breath of air "I guess"

Azure gleamed "When we get back, I'm sure Saguru would enjoy helping or at least watch you create a better version" The blond was a closet science geek.

"Yeah, he would" Indigos softened "So long as it's a new eye instead of the one I'm currently using" Saguru probably wouldn't appreciate Kaito taking out his eye prematurely. He let out a relieved sigh when he felt a new cold cloth being put over him.

"Are you able to turn off the natural reactions that make it so real?" Shinichi inquired before frowning "Or would that not do anything to help you recover?" He blinked when the life suddenly seemed to snuff out of the magician's right eye "Oh"

"I didn't even think of that!" Sure he couldn't do that outside of their room, but he could here.

Chapter 29: Chapter 29 Trust, Thoughts, Dove

Notes:

Written October 5 2020
Posted on Wattpad November 2 2020
Posted here January 22 2021

NEXT UPDATE is on February 5 2021

Chapter Text

"You look odd like that" Shinichi stated as he observed the change. The eye definitely looked false now. It would have been hard to believe that it could ever look real if he hadn't already seen it do so.

Kaito snickered, though it was a bit strained "Of course I do" He resisted the urge to rub at his eye. Turning it off had only eased the heat slightly, it still felt like it was burning him even though it wasn't.

Shinichi frowned, taking note of the other's pain. Azure flickered towards Kaito's sleek wings "I could run my fingers through your feathers if you want" It wasn't something done often, mainly because the magician didn't like being so vulnerable. He didn't think that it'd hurt to ask "It'd take your mind off of the pain"

The magician was silent for a few moments before letting out a breath "Okay" He was used to pain, but not the sort of pain that he was currently feeling. It was different, thus harder to ignore. He shifted so that he wasn't lying on his wings. Laying on them used to be uncomfortable, but he'd gotten used to it.

Relieved that he could help, Shinichi sat on the bed next to him. He watched Kaito's wings tense then start to relax the moment his fingers made contact. He'd never actually preened the other's wings before, but he'd seen Kaito do it enough times to know how to not disturb the feathers. Sure he'd had to clean them a few times due to the other being unconscious, but he'd only done so on a surface level to prevent blood from staining everything.

By the time a half hour had already passed, the sleuth had started to move slightly on autopilot. The act of caring for the other's wings surprisingly calming for even himself, dead or damaged feathers were easily removed, the healthy feathers being combed to fit more easily from their absence. It was a nice, simple task. He wasn't used to things that didn't require much thought.

Eventually, a noise brought Shinichi out of his half daze. He blinked, confused for a moment before azure widened. Kaito was making some sort of purring noise in the back of his throat, but Kaito wasn't part cat. The sleuth tilted his head, curious, the other was obviously out of it if Kaito's unfocused gaze was any indication.

Azure softened, touched that Kaito trusted him so much "You'll probably be able to sleep easily now" He stated, unsure if the other would even remember his words. Even so, it would feel weird to not say anything to the other. If Kaito drifted off before the pain began to affect him, he'd be more likely to stay asleep since falling asleep was usually the hard part.

The sleuth shifted himself off of the bed, then moved the other's wings so that they weren't splayed out. Once said wings were tucked neatly against the magician's sides, Shinichi snagged the thin top sheet and draped it over him. He figured that the other blankets available to the room would bother Kaito if his eye was still too warm when he woke up.

Tomorrow, they had to go in again. It was taking forever for them to actually earn the trafficker's trust since neither of them were planning to touch any of the victims. Thankfully their acting was helping them to seem to be really picky instead of horrified. To the traffickers, they were just two brothers who wanted to find the perfect one to share. Spouting stupid lines about fate and destiny had really helped their cause since apparently they would only know what they wanted when they saw 'The one'.

They'd gotten enough proof that the ring existed, but that was it. If they called in the FBI right now, most of those running the ring would escape, and with them, the leads that would help rescue those who'd already been sold. They needed to become more trusted, so that they could meet the bigwigs, and hopefully learn how they keep their documents. An operation this big was sure to have some kind of paper trail, even if it was just travel documents and faces.

He, really didn't like this assignment. Not at all. It was hard to just stand there and not lift a hand to help the victims, especially when some of them were still children. The children were a mixture of those stolen, and those who were born into it. It made Shinichi feel sick at the realization that this group had been secretly selling people for years. Kaito had actually thrown up the first day the moment that they were in the clear.

The sleuth felt Kaito's forehead before going over his own bed, Kaito hadn't developed a stress fever, that was good. He fell asleep to uneasy thoughts.

"Tsuki, what are you doing?" Saguru held back a laugh as he watched the dove fly around him in circles, cooing softly. He'd gotten back from the aquarium a few hours ago, though the dove hadn't shown up until now.

Tsuki just gave a soft coo in response, flying a few more loops before landing softly on the blond's shoulder.

Saguru smiled, the crazy dove was being cute, he gave her chest feathers a few good scratches "Why are you so energetic? Were you sleeping all day?" Normally Tsuki wasn't this active in the evenings, she was getting old after all.

The dove fluffed up her feathers, shuffling close enough to nuzzle Saguru's cheek affectionately.

"Do you want to do some tricks?" He inquired, he might as well stay up longer to play with her. It'd been a while since he'd done tricks with her. At the dove's excited 'coo' he smiled "Okay, go fetch the hoop" Tsuki took off.

While Tsuki wasn't Kaito's official assistant anymore, the dove still craved complex puzzles. Being a normal dove just wasn't as mentally enriching as it was supposed to be, because she was used to doing delicate tricks that required practice. Kaito had stopped using her as a spy dove a few years ago.

Chapter 30: Chapter 30 Monsters in Human Skin Exist

Summary:

!!!

 

Seriously dark subjects...

Notes:

Written October 14 2020
Posted on Wattpad November 9 2020
Posted here February 5 2021

Chapter Text

Shinichi cast Kaito a concerned glance before forcing his expression into a neutral one. They'd both decided that the magician wouldn't be recording anything today, while his nerves were undamaged, they still felt raw and sensitive. The only functions to be used, were the ones that made Kaito's false eye look so real.

"How are you doing today gentlemen?" Akuno Kiritsu, one of the higher ups greeted them, holding out a hand. The man was pudgy, making his overly fancy black suit look gaudy since it didn't quite seem to fit him right. The man looked to be around his mid fifties, with his greying hair and too small glasses covering brown eyes. The man was half Japanese.

Kaito offered a disarming smile, accepting the offered handshake "I've been better" He used his free hand to tap the side of his head "My head is killing me, so we might not stay long today" It was the truth, and showing any sort of weakness could get Kiritsu to lower his guard a bit.

"Oh" Disappointment crossed over Kiritsu's face "I'd been hoping to get to know the two of you better" He released Kaito's hand "We have some wonderfully strong meds here that you could take"

The sleuth fought the instinct to glare "Sorry" His tone was apologetic as he gave the area an obvious look over "Considering what kind of place this is, neither of us are going to consume anything" He gave a friendly smirk "You can never be too careful with looks like ours"

Kiritsu threw back his head, letting out an obnoxiously loud laugh "Very true my friends!" He clasped a hand on each of their shoulders, giving them a squeeze "Come on, let me show you some things" He began to lead them "There's a nice treat today"

Neither agent fought against the hold as they were directed down a hallway, they recognized the route, it led to the temporary display cases. Each time they visited, it had different stock.

Kaito kept his poker face strong, just like he had every other time he'd been in the room. There wasn't much to said room besides the display cases, all of which were filled with people of various ages. None of them had clothes.

Shinichi took Kaito's hand into his own, giving it a reassuring squeeze. Masking the comforting action as a flirtatious one by bringing it up to his lips and kissing it. Azure slid towards Kiritsu "Akuno-sama, which one is the treat" He tilted his head, giving the room a lazy look over without actually looking. Disgust curled in his gut at how Kiritsu's eyes lit up at how he was addressed, the creep. At least if they're shown this so called 'treat' first, they wouldn't have to be here as long.

"Oh?" Kiritsu wagged his eyebrows, the action looking ridiculous "Could today be the day?" He would so love to see the twins in action, maybe he could if they found 'the one'.

"Possibly" The magician's tone was smooth as he rested part of his weight against the sleuth, resting his chin on Shinichi's shoulder, nuzzling his cheek as he wrapped his arms around the other's neck "They have to be special if I'm going to share my Nichi with them" Kaito kissed the corner of Shinichi's mouth, indigos soft as he thought about Saguru. Nichi was the name Shinichi was going by here.

Shinichi's face dusted a faint pink "Kai is right" God Kaito's acting was good, too good. It made him embarrassed since he wasn't used to such things. At least Saguru had given them permission to act like lovers if it came down to it.

The pudgy man's gaze was filled with lust as he gave a nod "Of course" God he wanted to dominate Kai, seeing someone so assertive cave to him was always a thrill. Then he'd take Nichi, the more modest and shy one compared to his brother, and do the same to him. Unfortunately, the two were seriously loaded so he couldn't go after them just yet. Stupid orders, if only he'd managed to drug them before it got out that they were so rich "Right this way"

The two agents were silent as they followed Kiritsu towards the centre display. Inside it was a very pretty and shapely woman with long black hair and stormy grey eyes, she looked Japanese. 

Kaito inwardly grimaced, this was the first Japanese 'product' that they'd come across. Her presence here cemented the belief that this ring was smuggling people from Japan like they'd thought.

"It's a beauty eh?" Kiritsu grinned, eyes roving all over the woman. She just shot him a fierce glare, not bothering to attempt to cover up "It's a shame that she's gotta be culled soon"

Azure and indigo met, alarmed "Culled?" Shinichi inquired, doing his best to sound curious instead of worried. 

Kiritsu nodded "Yup, it's starting to get a few grey hairs, it's only a matter of time before the skin isn't as soft anymore" Brown eyes flashed, almost dangerously "Would you believe that it's over fifty? It was born and raised here"

Oh god, Kaito felt like he was going to be sick. He masked the sudden weakness in his knees by leaning more on Shinichi "Really?" It was hard to get the word out, let alone make it sound natural, but he somehow managed

The man nodded, looking proud "Yup, good breeding that one" Kaito's fingers dug into the sleuth's shoulders at Kiritsu's words "Though it did escape for a few years after being sold" He smirked "But we got it back, though we could only rent it out until now because of the escape" It was a major escape risk, it wouldn't look good if it happened again "But since it's expiration date is almost here, it's going back on the proper market since we don't deal with old stock"

Shinichi brought his hand up to where Kaito's fingers were digging into him, he knew what the other was thinking, they couldn't save this woman. It would put countless others in danger if they tried to bring this group down right now. So many other victims would be lost, forever.

Chapter 31: Chapter 31 ___ Effect

Summary:

Humans suck

Notes:

Written October 18 2020
Posted on Wattpad November 16 2020
Posted here February 12 2021

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The moment they got back to the apartment, Kaito immediately ran towards the washroom, hand covering his mouth. Shinichi grimaced, trying to block out the sound of the magician's heaving. His own stomach was churning, but he was fairly sure that he wasn't going to vomit.

After a while of heaving into the toilet, Kaito exited the washroom "We've got to do something" His tone was strained, tired "We can't just let her die" From what that disgusting man had said, the woman had already been through enough in her life "She's escaped before, what if I break her out?" It wouldn't seem that odd considering her history right? "I could slip in and out easily"

The idea was tempting, very tempting "No" As much as he wanted to agree, it was too dangerous "She most likely escaped during a transfer" Shinichi grimaced "If she was able to escape from where she's being held, she would have done so already" It would look too suspicious if it happened right after she was shown to them. Azure softened when he realized that the other was shaking "I'll make some secure calls"

"Calls?" Indigos lit up, Shinichi had a plan?

"Yes" Azure met indigo "We're going to buy her tomorrow" The thought of actually buying a human being felt disgusting "She can't wait like the others" The woman was probably going to be killed in a few days.

Kaito sank to the floor, tension bleeding out of him "Thank god" His tone was soft, hopeful. He wouldn't have to knowingly let someone die, just for the greater good.

Shinichi cast the magician a sympathetic glance. His friend really wasn't suited for this kind of work at all, he had the skills, just not the strength. Kaito was able to fake the strength, but it always took a lot out of him.

The next day had both agents buzzing with anticipation "Kiritsu-sama" Shinichi greeted warmly as they were let into the building "Kai and I have been so excited to return here"

"Oh?" Kiritsu grinned "Well it's always a pleasure to have the two of you here" He ghosted his hand against the small of Kaito's back, wanting to touch lower, firmer "You're both a delight"

Indigos flashed, a dark yet playful smirk tugging at Kaito's lips "I'm not the merchandise"

Kiritsu swallowed enthralled, he'd felt something dangerous from Kai just now "With your looks, it's a pity" He shook his head sadly "Though I doubt that even then I'd be able to spend time with you"

Azure narrowed "Very true" It was disgusting how this guy thought what he was saying was okay. He cocked his head towards the showcase room "Could we see that 'treat' from yesterday?" He and the magician clasped their hands together "Kai and I have decided that we want her" So that she could be free.

Kaito smiled, indigos soft "We just couldn't get her out of our heads"

The man grimaced "We just got in a larger shipment than expected, so it was culled a few days early to make room" Kiritsu ran a hand through his hair "If only your appointment had been an hour earlier..." Appointments were pre-arranged and never made by phone. It was simply just too easy to tap into phone lines "But it's child bears a strong resemblance to it"

"Child?" The magician's one was soft as he reigned in his emotions. Acting out now would only hurt others, he wasn't allowed to attack this man. He wanted to hurt him, badly.

Since Shinichi wasn't as good an actor, he let his sadness show as he gave Kaito's hand a warning squeeze "A shame..." He ducked his head before meeting Kaito's gaze "If the child is like the mother like Kiritsu-sama says..." He tilted his head, forcing a faint smile "What do you say?"

Indigos blazed "Yes" They'd failed to save the mother, but maybe they could save the child earlier? "I would really like that"

Kiritsu smiled, relieved that they weren't going to give up "Let me lead you to the right holding room" He paused just before opening the door "Please don't think that we're incompetent when it comes to controlling the merchandise, the one we just culled was very popular among the others"

"Popular?" The sleuth couldn't hold back his curiosity.

"Yes" Kiritsu pushed open the door, holding it open for them "They called it 'The Mistress' even before it's escape due to it's skills" He frowned "It got even worse after it escaped"

"Killer!"

"Murderer!"

"Monster!"

"Bastard!"

Both agents flinched back at the sudden verbal assault that filled the room. Men, women, and children were banging and screaming against the barriers, shouting curses and insults. None of them had any clothing. Though they did have collars fastened around their necks.

Kiritsu scowled, pressing a button on his wristwatch. The angry screaming twisted into pained shrieks as they all seemed to convulse and fall. Though some managed to catch themselves on their knees instead "Do that again, and I'll keep the shock going until one of you dies" He was answered back with silence.

Shinichi squeezed Kaito's hand hard enough to cause pain, not wanting the magician to do anything stupid.

"Sorry about that" Kiritsu gave an apologetic smile "We keep them in groups so that they can care for each other so that we don't need to" The ill ones were nursed by the healthy. He turned towards the group "Where's the dead one's kid?" He tapped his watch in warning. A small cluster of adults shuffled, taking defensive stances as they all glared at him.

"Here" A young girl with slate eyes and black hair shoved her way through the protective huddle. Her jaw was set firm as she glared.

Oh god... The child couldn't be any older than 10. She was so small, too young to have such a threatening look in her eyes "We want her" Kaito blurted out. They had to save this child, he glanced around the room, they'd save the rest later.

Shinichi nodded "It'll be interesting to handle her" The girl at least had a strong spirit.

Notes:

Most won't understand the chappy title yet for a long time

Chapter 32: Chapter 32 Bought

Notes:

Written October 31 2020
Posted on Wattpad November 23 2020
Posted here February 19 2021

NEXT UPDATE is on March 5 2021

Chapter Text

Kaito felt sick as he and Shinichi waited in silence, they were in their hotel room, along with the girl they'd just bought. The girl had thankfully been given some simple clothes at the sleuth's request, though the way he'd asked had left a sour taste in their mouths. Stating that it'd be more fun to take away the clothes in private, to snatch away a false safety, had made Kiritsu delighted. They were actually waiting for the girl to wake up since she'd been drugged for transport "I feel disgusting" The magician bit out, fiddling his hands together nervously.

"Same" Shinichi agreed, sharing his unease "I know that we did it to save her..." He trailed off, grimacing "But the fact that we had to buy her to do it..." They'd been forced to watch helplessly as she'd been ruthlessly struck by a needle and bound before being placed in a suitcase that was apparently designed to transport small children. The fact that such an item existed was sickening, but it had at least allowed them to take her to safety without being followed. The girl's bonds had been swiftly removed moments after they'd returned, Kaito had taken great pleasure in destroying the ropes.

"I can't wait until we can take that place down" Kaito's tone was dark, promising "When we're done with it, I want to torch the place" It'd been built to hold humans, that much was obvious. They'd only seen bits and pieces of it, and he was sure that there was a lot more.

Shinichi couldn't help the small smile that tugged at his lips "I wouldn't complain if you did that" He paused, eyeing the other "Just don't leave any evidence of it pointing towards you" Movement from the other side of the room caught their attention, making them fall silent.

The girl had shifted a bit in her place in the far corner. She'd been placed there since a bed would probably give her the wrong impression, that and Kaito had informed him that corners were great at giving off a sense of safety. One couldn't be snuck up on if they were in a corner so it was a great defensive location.

Kaito moved a bit closer, but left a few feet between himself and the girl. He then lowered himself so that he was sitting on his knees, with his hands tucked between his calves and thighs, it was a position that he couldn't move from as easily compared to other positions. He wouldn't be able to reach her without getting up first. They'd decided that Kaito could be the one to approach since he was better with people than the sleuth.

The girl shifted again, this time tensing as her eyes slid open, revealing wary slate coloured eyes. Her gaze flickered between the two strange males, instantly recognizing them as the ones who'd bought her "I'm Kuroba Kaito" The one closest to her spoke, she narrowed her eyes, she wasn't going to let herself be fooled by the nice guy act "Me and my friend brought you here to save you" The guy had a deceptively nice voice, void of threats "We work for the police" Oh she'd met plenty of policemen before...

"I don't know what to say next" Kaito stated, turning his gaze towards Shinichi, the mention of the police had actually made the girl more tense instead of relaxed.

Shinichi offered a small smile, keeping his distance "We are undercover agents working on taking that place down" He ducked his head in apology "We're sorry for acting so creepy before, we had to be convincing"

"Oh" She tilted her head, not believing them. She wasn't restrained, so she just had to play good and wait for her chance "I don't know what to think" She intentionally bumped her shoulder against a nightstand, making the decorative vase on top fall, shattering into a bunch of pieces "Sorry" She lowered her head "The drug makes it hard to move"

Kaito had to stop himself from frowning, the girl was lying about it being an accident "It's fine" He smiled warmly, wondering if she was testing him, to see if he'd punish her. It was hard to guess really "That thing was ugly anyways" It really was.

The sleuth snorted at Kaito's words "My name is Kudo Shinichi"

Nodding, she offered a small smile, fingers wrapping around a piece of the vase when the two males shared a look between each other. She wasn't going to let these guys use her, she was done with that. Before they turned their attention back towards her, she lunged, jabbing the glass into the closest one's right eye before recoiling back, out of reach. The magician yelped in pain, curling in on himself a bit, hand clutching at where the glass was still embedded in him. He'd been unable to react in time due to how he'd been sitting.

"Kaito!" Concerned, Shinichi rushed over, kneeling beside his friend.

"I'm fine..." Kaito grit out, hissing a bit. His false eye was totalled, and the crushed pieces hurt! "It wasn't my good eye"

Azure widened, horrified that Kaito had come so close to becoming blind "Move your hand, let me see the damage" Kaito was already bleeding a fair amount.

The girl was trembling as she slowly moved towards the door, scared that they'd notice her, that they'd take out their anger against her "Please don't go" Against her better judgement, she froze. The one she'd hurt was waving away the other male's concerned hands, focusing his gaze on her, the gaze was a kind one. He smiled "I'm not mad, I might have even done the same if I were you" He sounded pained "My ego has taken the most damage though, out-sped by a child" He huffed.

Shinichi clicked his tongue, giving Kaito a nice whack on the shoulder "You idiot" The words were harsh, but his tone was soft.

"I'm fine" Just in pain, why did head injuries have to bleed so much? At least he'd already lost his eye years ago.

"Why aren't you attacking me?" She was trembling, frozen with fear.

Chapter 33: Chapter 33 Yozora

Notes:

Written November 11 2020
Posted on Wattpad December 7 2020
Posted here March 5 2021

Chapter Text

Despite his pain, Kaito's heart couldn't help but hurt at how scared the girl both looked and sounded "You're terrified" His tone was soft "There's no way I could get angry at you for lashing out, not when it's because you're afraid" His magic had already stopped the bleeding and healed what it could, though he'd have to reopen the injuries later, pieces of his false eye had been sealed into his skin.

Shinichi nodded, his expression solemn "As we said before, we're on a secret mission to take down that group you were with" He paused "We failed to save your mother in time, so we felt that we had to at least save you"

Still tense, the girl eyed the two males "What do you mean?" They'd tried to save her mom? How could they? Her mom hadn't told her that anything worthwhile had happened "Mom never mentioned anything" She'd only said that she was going to die soon, her mother had always told her the truth, even if it would hurt.

"Shinichi and I went home to plan things out after hearing that your mom was going to be culled soon" The last bit was spat angrily, fingers curling against the floor "We'd been told that it was going to happen in a few days, so we decided to be cautious and plan here first" They'd been too slow "We can't be rash until we find out where they're keeping their documents, or else we'll never be able to look for those who have already been sold"

The girl's eyes burned "The unexpected shipment size..." She'd been killed to make room for more people.

"I'm sorry" Kaito's voice wavered "We failed" He lowered his head, ashamed.

Seeing the injured one's tears made her own fall, trailing down her cheeks. A bad person couldn't possibly cry for her like this, right? "Thank you for trying" She didn't understand why she said that, even if they seemed more trustworthy than usual, she shouldn't be showing weakness in front of them.

"We're going to take them down" Shinichi's tone was firm, he wouldn't accept any other outcome "They'll never be able to hurt another person by the time we're done with them"

That sounded nice... If only they'd come sooner, maybe then her mom wouldn't be dead. The girl sniffed, wiping away her tears "My name is Yozora" Yozora bit her lip, what were their names again? She hadn't really bothered to take note of them at the time.

Indigo softened "That's a nice name, though I'm a little surprised that it's Japanese" Hadn't both mother and daughter been born here?

"One of the first things my mom saw once she escaped the building was the night sky" Yozora explained softly, gaze downcast "She snuck on a boat to Japan and fell in love with the language and taught me it"

Shinichi offered a soft smile "Your mom sounds like she was a really amazing person" Escaping only to sneak on a boat? That was crazy, especially with how high security could be.

Kaito grinned "If you want, we can bring you to Japan after our mission" Yozora probably didn't even exist in any official records so it would be simple to make her a Japanese citizen if she wanted.

"We would let you go now, but it would be too risky" The sleuth added apologetically "You're going to be stuck with us until the ring is gone" He eyed the room "We'll separate the room with a sheet, Kaito and I will share on of the beds"

Slate widened at the offer, she could really go to Japan? Like her mom did? "I want to see the place my mom loved" She breathed "Sharing a room is fine, just keep the sex noises down" She was used to sharing her living space, not sharing would actually be weird. Both males spluttered.

Kaito's face was a bit pale "We're friends" Oh god, hearing a child say that in such a blank tone was messed up "I already have a romantic partner" Shinichi had his face buried in his hands.

Yozora tilted her head "Oh" She would have assumed they were brothers, but their last names had been different.

Indigos gleamed, taking note of Shinichi's unease "Though I wouldn't mind inviting him into a threesome, his face is sexy"

Horrified, the sleuth smacked the other "Narcissistic jerk!" Why would he even say that? "We basically have the same face!"

Kaito smirked "Yeah, I'm aware of how attractive I am"

Shinichi dragged a hand down his face "You shouldn't say things like that in front of children"

The girl let out a small giggle, she didn't feel threatened by these two at all. Kaito was the more emotional of the two, but he also seemed silly and kind. Shinichi seemed nice as well, but was obviously more reserved if the way his face lit up was any indication. They seemed like good people "I've heard way worse, that was nothing" She could also tell that Kaito was just teasing, he didn't have any lust in his eyes "I thought it was quite funny"

The magician grinned, glad that he hadn't guessed wrong. He'd figured that the girl wasn't the fragile sort of victim, so he'd risked a sexual joke since it was something that she'd sadly be able to understand. He'd just have to make his actions more readable than normal "Shinichi has never had a girlfriend or boyfriend before so he gets embarrassed more easily" He explained.

"And you said that you were married?" Yozora inquired, curious to know more about the outside world.

Kaito's smile widened "Yeah, my husband is so sweet and caring. Saguru works with the police too, but he's not as in sync during cases as Shinichi and I are, otherwise he would be here too"

"I thought gay marriage was illegal in many places" Yozora's eyes were wide with awe, her mother's information was outdated it seems.

The magician scratched his cheek nervously "It still is, but I got myself registered as a hermaphrodite" So that it wouldn't be odd if they had children together one day "My reproductive systems are written down as female since my male anatomy is useless for reproduction"

Chapter 34: Chapter 34 Intros

Summary:

Innocent child there is

Notes:

Written November 16 2020
Posted on Wattpad December 14 2020
Posted here March 12 2021

Chapter Text

Yozora eyed the magician curiously, she'd never known that such a thing was possible "So you have both male and female parts?"

Kaito grimaced "Not exactly..." He turned towards the sleuth "She's going to probably find out since she's going to be staying with us" Since they couldn't bring liquids onto the plane, he hadn't brought the medicine that helps him pass his eggs easily.

"Probably" Shinichi agreed, he hadn't thought about it until Kaito had brought it up just now "It should be fine, no one will believe her if she tries to say anything"

The girl frowned, what were they talking as if she could be a threat to them? They were obviously the ones with the power, what could she possibly do that could endanger them?

"Okay then" Kaito's eye gleamed "You can't tell anybody, I've already been captured and treated-" He paused, thinking over his words "Treated like an object" He wasn't sure if the other would even know what a lab rat was "I don't think that I could ever go through that again"

Yozora lowered her gaze, hands fiddling together. She was actually going to be given the power to harm Kaito? She didn't know how to feel about that, she'd never really had that sort of power before "I won't unless I find out that you two aren't good people" If they hurt her, she'd hurt them, it was reassuring to have a backup.

The magician smiled as he let his glamour fade, revealing his dark wings "I lay eggs so I got myself registered as a hermaphrodite so that it wouldn't seem odd when my partner and I have a child"

Slate eyes were wide with awe, wings, Kaito had wings! Her mother had told her that there were a lot of art pieces with winged people, that they were usually considered to be good. Yozora knew they were wings since her mother had once drawn a picture of them with dust "You're an angel!" She gasped, excited.

Shinichi snickered "No, he's just part bird"

Yozora's gaze was glued to the feathery wings, they looked so soft and sleek. She wanted to touch them, but that would mean moving closer to him. She wasn't sure if she wanted that.

Kaito gave the girl a knowing look "Shinichi wanted to touch them when he first saw them too" He stretched his left wing out, just enough for Yozora to be able to touch it if she decided to.

"Of course I did" Shinichi scowled, face tinted a bit from embarrassment "It was my first time seeing something like that"

She bit her lip, one touch wouldn't hurt right? It wasn't like she would be touching skin either, just the feathers that she'd only seen on outfits or in pictures. These were the prettiest ones she'd ever seen though, they had a nice sheen to them. They didn't look like the fakes she'd seen. Cautiously, she reached out, touching the tips in awe. They were so silky "They're so pretty" Yozora blurted out.

"Thank you" Kaito tucked his wings back to himself "I do my best to take care of them" Both Saguru and the rest of his friends got worried whenever they got a bit scruffy since messy wings usually meant poor health in birds. He still wasn't sure whether to feel happy or a bit offended about that. He combed his fingers though a few feathers, plucking out a dead one "See?" He flashed a grin "Lots of care required"

Yozora blinked, she hadn't even noticed that there'd been something wrong "That must be a pain to take care of" Her long hair could be annoying to brush, so she could only imagine the difficulty of cleaning his wings. Her thoughts then jumped back to one of Kaito's earlier comments, he'd been captured and hurt before "Are you like me?"

Shinichi eyed the magician with a worried expression. He hoped that the other wouldn't have nightmares tonight.

Kaito's smile fell "A bit, but I wasn't used for sex" The feather in his hand snapped "They were trying to use science to breed me, I don't remember much" He didn't want to talk about it, but talking would help Yozora feel more safe around them "I was always drugged, rarely becoming lucid enough to do anything. I wasn't even considered to be human in their eyes, just an animal"

The girl shivered, that sounded scary "How did you escape?"

Indigo softened, a warm smile on his face "I didn't, I was rescued by both Shinichi and my partner" If not for them, would he still be there? Or would he have died by now? He refused to think further on the thought.

"We work for the police" Shinichi smiled "It's what we do, but even if it wasn't we still wouldn't have given up on finding him"

Yozora tilted her head "Not all police are good" Her gaze lowered "I've met a few policemen before"

Shinichi's lips thinned "Yeah, it hurts to admit it, but bad officers do exist" There would always be both bad and good people in almost every profession.

Oh, he believed her? She'd thought that he'd defend the people he worked with "I wish I remember their names" There'd been no point, she'd thought that the police were untouchable.

Kaito's gaze zeroed in on Yozora, from the way she said that... "Wait, does that mean you know some names?"

"Mom told me that I should remember what I could" Even if she didn't want to "I don't know why she said that though" But she'd listened, since her mother usually had a point.

"Maybe she was banking on the hopes that you might escape one day like she did" Shinichi stated, half to himself "That way the people who hurt you could get punished"

The magician nodded eagerly "That's probably it" He scrambled to the dresser and pulled out a pen and notepad "Can you tell us their names? It could really speed things up" Kaito then paused, seeming to reconsider something "But only if you're comfortable doing it" He amended "We'll understand if it's too painful to say any of them"

Yozora stared at Kaito "I'll tell them" She wanted them to pay.

Chapter 35: Chapter 35 Clothes... And Clothes?

Notes:

Written November 26 2020
Posted on Wattpad December 21 2020
Posted here March 19 2021

NEXT UPDATE is on April 2 2021

Chapter Text

To say Shinichi was impressed at how easily Yozora was able to list off the names would be an understatement. It was actually disheartening if he allowed himself to think too much, Kaito's notepad was almost full, and the girl didn't seem like she was getting near the end. So many people had hurt her. The ones that were presumed law enforcement were noted down with a star beside them, those ones were the worst.

Kaito bit his lip when he reached the end of the last page, indigo duller than normal "Why don't we take a break before I fetch another notepad?" He suggested, grimacing when dried blood pulled at his skin "I need to clean up a bit anyways" He'd actually forgotten that his false eye had been busted up.

Yozora blinked before eyeing Kaito with a mixture of concern and guilt "I'm sorry" She'd make the other half blind, it hadn't bothered her as much when she'd thought that the two males were dangerous. Now that she knew that they weren't, she couldn't help but feel guilty.

"It's fine" Kaito assured, offering a kind smile "You got my fake eye, so the only real damage done was property destruction" And some cuts, but that wasn't really anything to worry about. He's had worse from his magic tricks "It's just going to be a pain to clean up"

The girl paled "I almost made you completely blind" There'd once been a blind slave where she used to live. It'd been scary to watch how easily they'd caved in to listening to the staff, they'd been isolated and forced to rely on the staff until they just became docile, only doing things when asked to. Surely that sort of thing didn't happen on the outside did it?

"Even if you had, I'm sure that Kaito would have adjusted well enough" Shinichi put in "He's very adaptable"

Kaito nodded "Yeah, and you only attacked in self defence so it's fine" He tilted his head "Unless you still want to hurt me?"

Yozora quickly shook her head "No" She lowered her gaze "Hurting people is scary"

Azure softened "Then everything's fine" Shinichi snatched up the notebook, turning towards Kaito "I'll go make some calls while you're cleaning up"

"That sounds like a plan" The magician agreed, he then offered Yozora a smile "Why don't you go pick out some more comfortable clothes for you to wear? There's some in that bag" He motioned towards an overstuffed duffel bag "Sorry there's not much but we were in a hurry" They'd been expecting to rescue an adult, not a child, so a quick run to a store had been required "You can throw your current ones out if you want, they must be uncomfortable" The girl had been scratching. He wouldn't put it past those bastards to have given her scratchy clothes on purpose.

She'd thought that she'd been subtle... Yozora eyed the bag curiously "Okay" She'd seen so many people wearing clothes before, and very few of them seemed irritated by them. So the stuff she currently had was probably bad. She couldn't help but smile, excited. Her current outfit was the only clothes that she's ever worn, not to mention the first time ever wearing them, the prospect of wearing something nice was exciting.

The three separated, doing their own things. By the time Kaito had finished cleaning up his eye, covering the now empty socket with some bandages, a half hour had passed. The magician paused before exiting the washroom, suddenly remembering that Yozora might still be changing. Who knows how long it took her to pick an outfit? He knocked on the door "Are you clothed properly yet?" He inquired, hoping that she was. He'd left his phone in the main room, there would be nothing to entertain himself with otherwise.

Yozora frowned as she looked down at her clothes, she'd tried everything on, but it all irritated her. At first she'd thought it was a prank, but after checking both Kaito's and Shinichi's clothes, she'd realized that the clothes were fine. The problem seemed to be with herself "Yeah, I'm clothed" And itchy.

Relieved, Kaito exited the washroom, smiling when he saw her "That looks way better than that boring stuff" Yozora was wearing a nice blue shirt with yellow flowers and green sweatpants. He glanced around "I guess Shinichi is still making his calls"

"Are clothes supposed to be itchy?" She didn't want to be ungrateful.

Kaito frowned, noting that her arms were even redder than before from scratching "No, they're not" He crouched down near her "Can I see your arm?" Was she allergic to cotton or something?

Yozora hesitated for a moment before nodding, allowing the magician to touch her arm "I've always thought that wearing clothes would be better than this"

The magician blinked "You've never worn clothes before?"

She shook her head "No, only some silky and lacy underwear off and on"

Kaito took in a breath, closing his eyes, not wanting the girl to see the anger in them "I see" He kept his tone kind "I guess new clothes would feel starchy and scratchy in comparison..." He opened his eyes once he was sure there wouldn't be any anger in them "Worn clothes are more comfortable, would you like to wear some of mine or Shinichi's as I go make another run to the store?" It wouldn't fit, but she'd be decent and hopefully less uncomfortable "It'll still probably be uncomfortable until you get used to wearing clothes, but it shouldn't be as bad" He'll have to look for some silky and loose clothes, maybe even just fabric to turn into some clothing later.

So she'll be uncomfortable no matter what? "Can't I just not wear clothes?" She felt safe enough, Kaito and Shinichi wouldn't hurt her.

The magician pinched his brow "I'm sorry, but wearing clothing is a strict rule you have to abide in the world" Yes he knew that nudists were real, but he didn't want to deal with that right now. Not before the girl even gave clothing a fair chance "I'll get some ointment to soothe some of the irritation" He really wanted to punch Kiritsu and the rest of those sick perverts in the face right about now.

Chapter 36: Chapter 36 Some Talk, Learn, Clothes

Notes:

Written December 8 2020
Posted on Wattpad January 4 2021
Posted here April 2 2021

Chapter Text

Seeing Yozora wearing a mixture of both his own and Kaito's clothes wasn't something he'd expected to see when he returned "Did Kaito somehow grab the wrong sizes?" He inquired, glancing at the clothing filled bag.

Yozora shook her head "They were too itchy so Kaito went to buy some used clothes for me" She'd forgotten what their family names were, and it just seemed easier to call them what they call each other. Her mother had told her that addressing people like that could be considered rude to Japanese people, but asking what she should call them just felt weird.

The sleuth nodded at the explanation, he'd noticed that she'd been rubbing at her arms, but hadn't wanted to say anything until things were more settled "Then he should be a while then, you probably have sensitive skin so Kaito's most likely going to buy the appropriate items for skincare"

"We thought that it was because I'm not used to wearing clothing" She added.

Azure softened "That too, but not being used to it wouldn't make you leave marks on yourself" He tilted his head in thought "Since you were more vaccinated than the two of us, the default laundry detergent and care products were probably for people with sensitive skin to make it more simple" As much as he hated to say it, Yozora and the other people had been cared for surprisingly well, for slaves that is. That was probably why the listed services were so expensive, it was to make up for the care put into the 'High quality merchandise'.

"Sensitive skin?" Yozora blinked in confusion "It's normal for people to be fed things that make them more sensitive to touch?" It had to be if there were actual things made to stop the effect, she didn't know how to feel about that.

Shinichi bit the inside of his cheek "No, that's probably aphrodisiacs. They're not something for everyday use" He took in a breath to calm himself before continuing "Sensitive skin is something that some people are born with, it means that things are more likely to irritate or harm their skin compared to most people"

"Oh" She knew what those were, she didn't like them "That's good, I don't like how aphrodisiacs feel"

"They can be great when used with a willing partner" Kaito cut in as he entered their room, smiling as he brandished an armful of full shopping bags "But that's only when the two are adults and consent is given beforehand" Proper information was key, he didn't want her to become adverse to things by believing that they can only be bad. Shinichi gave the magician a flat look which was returned with a grin "Only knowing partial facts can be harmful" Especially when trauma was a very real possibility.

"Consent?" Yozora repeated the word "What does that mean?"

Kaito's smile fell a bit "It's like when I asked to check out your arm, you consented to that" He placed down the bags "If you'd said no, I wouldn't have touched your arm because then I wouldn't have had your consent"

Yozora eyed the two curiously "The two of you touch each other without consent a lot" She hadn't seen either of them ask the other if it was okay to touch them.

Shinichi grimaced "We're familiar with each other so we know each other's boundaries" The way she'd said that made him a bit uncomfortable "Kaito asked you because we're basically strangers" And because the girl had probably been touched without consent enough times in her life already "He didn't want o make you uncomfortable or upset you"

Kaito nodded in agreement "Don't ever be afraid to tell someone to back off, kick 'em where it hurts if words don't work" He smirked "Anyways, I got you everything you need" He'd even swiftly made underwear from soft fabrics because the idea of buying used underwear was kinda gross. His sewing skills were top notch. He'd look into more suitable fabrics later "You can pick out something to wear, then I put the rest of it in the wash" He was a bit excited to see how the new laundry detergent and softener worked. Saguru always gave him a look of fond exasperation whenever he bought something different.

"Thanks" Yozora blushed, they were so nice. She glanced towards the bathroom, she should probably change in there right? Kaito hadn't wanted to exit it when she'd been changing, it would be silly for them to go in there to wait for her "I won't be long" She picked up a bag that held clothes and headed towards the bathroom, being careful to not trip over her oversized outfit.

"We need to go back there again" Shinichi stated lowly once the door had closed. Their mission couldn't end just because they wanted to save someone early.

Kaito nodded, touching the bandages over his missing eye "We can say that we want to learn more about keeping someone" He suggested "My injury could be proof that we obviously need to learn"

"That sounds like it could work" But it also seemed too simple "What if he wants to demonstrate? There's no way we're taking Yozora back there" Demonstrations seemed like the sick kind of thing Kiritsu would enjoy.

"And neither of us wants to actually abuse one of the slaves" Kaito bit his lip "There's also no way in hell either of us are going to let that creep have one of us demonstrate" It had been bad enough letting the guy touch his back.

"I guess we're going to have to wing it" Shinichi concluded with a sigh, he disliked going in without a clear plan.

Yozora popped her head out of the bathroom, figuring that the two were done talking for now. She'd only heard bits, but it concerned her "I'm done" She'd chosen a pretty purple shirt with sunflowers and a blue skirt. The skirt felt a lot more comfortable than any of the pants she'd tried on.

Kaito grinned "You look great in that, your clothes match really well"

Shinichi nodded in agreement "Some people are unable to match clothes, it's nice to see that you aren't one of them"

Chapter 37: Chapter 37 Stalker, The Legal Sort

Notes:

Written December 18 2020
Posted on Wattpad January 11 2020
Posted here April 9 2021

Chapter Text

Saguru sighed, pinching his brow. He'd somehow acquired an annoying stalker during the last few days, and he was already fed up with them. Normally he'd like to say that his bullshit tolerance and patience was quite high, mainly because he's partnered with a crazy magician. However, not even he had unlimited patience for abrasive snobs.

At first his stalker had been all polite, eager to get to know him, which was fine, he was used to people like that. The problem was that after watching him do his work, his stalker had argued that he was doing things wrong, that he should have left the small things to those who were more beneath him. That was when Saguru had decided that he hated this guy. Yes he'd grown up rich, and had connections in high places via his father, but that didn't make him above the others. Sure skill wise it was true, but the snob hadn't been talking about his skill, he'd been talking about his social standing.

The blond couldn't even properly report his stalker because said stalker was Minichiro Karute, apparently the inspector hadn't left like everyone had initially thought. The sneaky bastard had laid low, processing some paperwork under the radar. Apparently he'd investigated Shinichi's track record and had found it suspicious, and since the sleuth wasn't around, the obvious option was to go after Saguru, who was Shinichi's partner. Minichiro didn't like the blond's track record either, to him, it made it all the more suspicious. Saguru was obviously using his father's influence to get himself and his friend around, or at least that's the logic the inspector had set on.

Minichiro wasn't technically doing anything wrong besides making his investigations go slower and being annoying, but even then Saguru couldn't complain since he was still working more efficiently than most. His comments were rude at most on paper, and since the inspector was a higher rank than him, Minichiro could wave them off as Saguru not liking how he's being observed. That was another issue the blond had with him, the guy had filed paperwork to observe him to see how things differed in Beika. Despite what was written on paper, by now, everyone in division one knew that it was just an excuse to find fault in Saguru.

"Megure-keibu is collecting filing complaints against Minichiro-Keibu" Takagi sighed, giving Saguru a sympathetic smile.

Saguru snorted "It astounds me that he even made it to his rank" Minichiro was currently in the washroom, and he had to wait for him "I highly doubt that he's well liked enough for people to stick up for him"

Takagi nodded in agreement "Miwako looked into it, apparently his family has way too much influence in Kyoto" Which was where Minichiro was stationed, what a surprise.

The blond grimaced "Of course" He let out a sigh "I wish Kaito was here to secretly terrorize him" He was pretty sure that the magician would have had a pretty good chance at scaring the guy away. Kaito has yet to fail in that aspect when he's actually trying.

The other officer choked on a laugh, acutely aware of Kaito's antics "At least Megure-keibu has more sway here to at least send him away" Megure was waiting to hand in a large collection of dated complaints rather than a few at a time, that way it would have more impact and it would be harder to cover up.

"I honestly can't wait" Saguru breathed "He was scolding Chiba for eating a bit ago" Apparently food was to be eaten during lunch "He doesn't seem to understand that lunch can easily missed since unlike us, he sits in his office all day" You couldn't just whip out a sandwich in the middle of an investigation.

Takagi grimaced, remembering the many times he's had to skip lunch due to an investigation that couldn't be put on hold "Poor Chiba, I hope his food wasn't thrown out"

Gold narrowed "He threw someone's food out?" As much as he felt for his coworker, this might be a good opportunity. Surely there was some rule that could get Minichiro in trouble for that right? Not allowing someone to eat is cruel.

"He snagged my muffin and bagel yesterday and tossed them before telling me to get to work" Takagi admitted, eyes lighting up as he seemed to realize what Saguru was thinking about "There's cameras in the break room-" He cut himself off, spotting Minichiro exiting the restroom.

"Why are you standing here?" Minichiro growled, turning towards Takagi "There's work to be done"

"He spotted me without you shadowing me and became worried" Saguru cut in, tone filled with mock concern "Are you sure you shouldn't take today off?" He inquired "You were in the washroom for over half an hour, that couldn't have been comfortable for someone of your age"

Minichiro spluttered, face rapidly going red with indignation "Enough, let's go" He growled gruffly, not bothering to explain himself. He didn't need to, the Hakuba heir was nothing but a know it all who was denying the use of his father's influence to get to where he was.

"I'm sorry if I offended you" He wasn't "But it is a valid concern" Though not for his health, he just didn't want to be forced to stand idle for so long when he could be getting actual work done.

"It's none of your business" Minichiro snapped, growing more agitated "We need to go through a lot of paperwork today"

The blond's shoulders slumped, of course, he should have expected this. There was no way the inspector would want to follow him outside again, not after yesterday where Minichiro had been left behind during a chase. Minichiro had been such a pain to deal with afterwards since he'd upped his obnoxious behaviour to compensate for his failure. The inspector's physical fitness was honestly embarrassing, maybe that could be another point against him "Understood" An officer should at least be able to run 50 meters, unless they were recovering or something "I'll go fetch a water bottle to reduce refreshment trips" The guy also hated coffee and threw a fit whenever someone he was working with went to go fetch some more.

Chapter 38: Chapter 38 Feelings are Confusing

Notes:

Written December 28 2020
Posted on Wattpad January 18 2021
Posted here April 16 2021

Chapter Text

Things had been nice lately, Yozora had really been enjoying the last few days living in the hotel with Kaito and Shinichi. They hadn't touched her without her permission, and what touches there were hadn't been sexual at all. It was odd, almost surreal. She'd grown up with the expectation that she would never have a choice when it came to her own body, so actually having a choice was almost daunting.

Yozora was kinda thankful that she was basically confined to their hotel room for safety reasons. She already had so much freedom even here that she knew that she wouldn't know what to do if she'd been allowed to roam outside. There was just so much to the world, it seemed never ending. So she was content to snuggle up in a pile of pillows, browsing the amazing thing called the internet.

She'd known how to read a bit, so with the combination of voice controls, having things said out loud, the dictionary, a thesaurus, and Shinichi or Kaito's help she was going along at a decent pace. Yozora was still nowhere near able to go at the insane speeds that they could when it came to browsing, but she was still learning things at a fast rate. More than her mother had been able to teach her at the very least. There was only so far that explaining without good references could get you.

It still hurt to think about her mother, but she hadn't cried as much as she was supposed to. According to the internet she should be crying and feeling depressed, she shouldn't be feeling the happiness that she felt about being free. She'd loved her mother, her mom had been awesome and had always done her best to help her. So why wasn't she more sad?

"What's with the sad sigh Yozora?" Kaito inquired, looking up from the files he'd been going through. Contact tracing was a pain.

"I don't know why I'm not as sad as I should be about my mom's death. I'm not crying enough" She fiddled with the iPad, her gaze downcast as she spoke.

Kaito frowned "Everyone feels sadness differently" He himself had been a distraught wreck when his own father had died "You've been really busy learning lately, I doubt that you've thought much about it right?"

The girl nodded "Yeah, I haven't been thinking about it much" There was so many better things to think about that didn't make her chest hurt.

Indigo softened "You're made of much tougher stuff than a lot of people due to how you've lived so far. You can still feel sadness but your ways of expressing it are probably more subdued" His fingers curled around the edge of one of the papers, bending it "You were usually punished for crying, so it's normal for it to be harder than usual for you to actually cry"

"But I cried on the first day I was here" Yozora sighed, heart feeling heavy. So why hadn't she cried again?

"You did" The magician agreed softly "Your mother had just been killed and then you were at the mercy of the two strangers who'd bought you" He offered a small smile "You were overloaded with so many negative emotions, I said that it was probably harder, not impossible" He forcibly flattened the piece of paper that he'd bent "You feel much safer now, so you're more calm" He tilted his head, eyeing her curiously "Do you feel horrible whenever you think about her death?"

Yozora gave a hesitant nod "Yeah, I don't like how my chest hurts, so I just go on the iPad to distract myself" It was an uncomfortable feeling, and it was scary when she thought about it too much.

Kaito grinned "That's proof that you're sad about it, avoidance is something I'm very talented at" He went back to bending the paper "The internet doesn't always explain things properly and often doesn't give enough information when it comes to things like feelings" Feelings were too complicated to just easily search up, there were just too many variables.

"You shouldn't sound so proud about that" Shinichi drawled as he removed his raincoat, a small puddle forming near the door. He'd left to grab some more food and supplies. Kaito had used a lot of his supplies up when he'd rigged the iPad to bypass the crazy firewalls and barriers that North Korea had. The iPad was completely untraceable and therefore wouldn't put their mission at risk "It made you such a pain to deal with in the beginning" Kaito was still a pain, but much less of one than before.

So she was similar to Kaito in that way? Yozora tilted her head, confused "Does that make me a pain to deal with too?" She didn't want to be a bother.

The sleuth spluttered "No, Kaito's an ass when he wants to avoid things" An evil hellion that's not afraid to use whatever's in his arsenal to get away. Shinichi offered Yozora a small smile, ignoring Kaito's indignant refute "You're more behaved"

"You're always the one to leave to do things though, leaving Kaito as the one to watch me" She must be hard to deal with too. That wasn't good.

Kaito snickered, amused by the girl's conclusion "No, I'm just the more social one out of the two of us" So even here Shinichi's poor social skills are hindering him "I'm better with kids so we both felt that it would be best if I interact with you more" He paused, grinning "Awkward silence is something you don't want. He socializes best if you're a criminal, part of law enforcement, or he's talking to a witne-Ow!" The magician rubbed where he'd been smacked on the head "See, instead of using his words he whacked me" Kaito pouted.

"It's not like I hurt you" The sleuth countered, face red from embarrassment "Not everyone is freaky good with people like you are" Kaito could easily turn those against him into friends, if they were good people. He turned towards Yozora "We felt it was better since Kaito has a knack for making friends" It was hard to truly dislike the magician.

Chapter 39: Chapter 39 Horrible Horrible

Summary:

Creepy subjects are spoken of...

Notes:

Written January 6 2021
Posted on Wattpad February 1 2021
Posted here April 23 2021

NEXT UPDATE is on May 7 2021

Chapter Text

A few more days passed before both Shinichi and Kaito were scheduled to meet up with Kiritsu once more. Both males were uneasy, neither one looking forward to the meeting "I really wish that we knew who the big guns were" Kaito sighed as he gingerly prodded at the bandages covering his right eye. The magician had damaged the area about an hour ago since it would have been suspicious for the injury to have already been healed. He just healed the newest injury to make it look a few days old.

Shinichi rolled his eyes, having heard the complaint many times by now "If it was that easy, these guys wouldn't have been able to last for over 7 decades" That was their minimum guesstimate since Yozora's mother had been over 50 years old and they doubted that the woman had been part of the first generation.

Yozora looked up from her iPad, looking confused "You don't know who the big boss is?" She'd never had the displeasure of being used by the guy, but she'd seen him a few times. Both males' attention snapped towards her, making her feel a bit nervous. Thankfully their expressions quickly softened at her reaction. Though it was still very obvious that their interest in the topic hadn't changed.

"Oh my god" Kaito buried his face in his hands "Why didn't we think to ask her before?" They'd only written about the ones who'd hurt her, they should have realized that not everyone she'd seen had hurt her specifically.

Shinichi grimaced, feeling incredibly stupid "I don't know" He stated lamely. He had absolutely no excuse as to why that option had slipped his mind.

Yozora shot them a small but awkward smile "I didn't think about telling you guys so it's not that bad?" She offered.

The sleuth just deflated at that comment "You're a child, we're trained for this..."

Feeling that she wouldn't be able to salvage their apparent loss of dignity, Yozora decided to change the subject "I don't know what his real name is, but everyone calls him Bossu" She paused, looking away "He has special personal projects done every few years" Her cheeks tinted a light pink "He goes after dark haired, blue eyed Japanese males, one attempt at kidnapping per person"

Kaito frowned, confused "Only one attempt?" That seemed too little. If the guy really cared, he should have at least tried twice per target.

"Per person" Yozora grimaced "Apparently it's a rule he made for himself to stop himself from becoming obsessed" Obsession could lead to mistakes, or so she'd apparently heard "Anyways, depending on their nature, they're held separately or like how I was"

"That seems overly complicated" Shinichi stated. Though from what they'd already learned, the way Yozora had been kept had also been odd compared to most human traffickers.

Yozora just shrugged "The kind ones were kept like everyone else since they could use everyone against them" She tilted her head in thought "I never understood why they fought until now... I wasn't able to fully understand why they were so upset" The girl bit her lip "Mom always did her best to help them give up as comfortably as possible while comforting them" Her voice wavered "Everyone else usually disliked the newcomers and avoided them since it meant more pain, but..." She paused, feeling sad "Mom was only one besides the newcomers to know what it was like to be free"

"Wait, wouldn't the previous 'newcomers' be able to relate?" Kaito inquired, that would make the most sense after all. They couldn't possibly forget everything, or at least not all of them could.

The girl shook her head "After a while they eventually disappear" She grimaced "Or they die from the special modifications" Since she knew that they'd ask, she continued on "They were worked on specially for Bossu, sometimes it was simple things like making them both blind and deaf" Yozora ignored their horrified looks "Occasionally limbs got removed, one guy had them all removed..." It had been sad to watch the guy cry, unable to do anything for himself. Her face scrunched up in confusion "For some reason, their reactions to finding out that the medicine they were taking was making them grow breasts was weird. It was done more often but it seemed the least life changing" Why would they get so upset? They'd still been able to do everything the same as before "There were a lot of other worse things that could have happened"

"... They never mentioned anything like that when we were pretending to be browsing" Shinichi breathed, almost as pale as Kaito.

"Ah... They were often disposed of or sold once Bossu got bored" It was a simple part of their life, though judging by both Kaito's and Shinichi's expressions, it was probably really bad "Though mom once told me that one was kept for over 10 years since they'd been especially attractive"

"That still doesn't tell us who this Bossu is" Shinichi stated, feeling sick.

Yozora nodded "Names aren't as important when it comes to them... But I remember what he looked like the last time I saw him" Her mom never had a proper name, and she herself had actually been the only one who had one since nobody else seemed to view them as important.

Kaito perked up at the explanation "I could draw them if you describe them" His sketching skills had been perfected years ago. Not everyone was comfortable when one tried to disguise as the person who'd caused them harm. He didn't blame them for feeling like that, it was normal.

Shinichi nodded, pleased with the new lead that they were going to get "We can do that after we get back" He checked the time "We really should get going if we want to meet that guy on time" Being rude by being late wouldn't earn them any extra favours.

The girl smiled, thrilled that she'd be able to help them "Okay, be safe"

"Have fun" Kaito grinned "At least one of us has got to" Being around Kiritsu was the exact opposite of fun. The guy was creepy, and had openly admitted that he wanted them.

Chapter 40: Chapter 40 Dangerous Meeting

Notes:

Written January 12 2021
Posted on Wattpad February 8 2021
Posted here May 7 2021

Chapter Text

"It's a shame that your eye was taken out" Kiritsu offered, looking truly remorseful. Though both agents knew that the remorse was most definitely misplaced "It's mother had some past behaviour problems before it's disposal, but the young one has never attacked anyone before" He paused, eyeing the purple eye patch Kaito had chosen "Until now that is"

Kaito smirked, indigo gleaming "It'll just add on to my natural charm" He replied easily. He'd chosen a flashy eye patch to attract attention to it instead of seeming like he was ashamed of it. Dealing with Kiritsu would be easier if the creep stayed interested in them.

Kiritsu nodded in agreement, fascinated "You must be very tough to still be so lucid" He really really wanted these two. It was rare to find people with a high pain tolerance, so much fun could be had.

"It's a learned talent of ours" Shinichi added before frowning "But that doesn't mean that we want one of us to be maimed again" He and Kaito shared a look "We really should have learned more before getting ahead of ourselves" He sighed the last bit.

The pudgy man's eyes lit up with excitement "At least you're both here now instead of waiting until another accident happened" Playing with them should be fine for now, he just didn't understand why he still wasn't allowed to keep them here. It wasn't fair, they'd captured buyers after payment before, so why couldn't he do that this time? He'd been ordered to dispose of the tranqs just a half hour before their arrival! By the boss at that, what the hell? Nichi and Kai had said that they didn't have any plans for another purchase, so they weren't even valued customers anymore.

Kaito forced his cheeks to redden, using his anger towards this whole place as an aid "Nichi and I have only been together, we were both willing so we saw no need in learning how to be persuasive" He playfully motioned towards his eye patch "You can see where that got us" He laughed.

"It looks nice" Kiritsu reached over to caress Kaito's right cheek, grinning when the other didn't stop him "At least you still look stunning" The other was tense under his touch but that was to be expected. The two brothers only wanted each other and the one they'd bought.

"You know..." Shinichi casually removed the hand from Kaito's face, giving it a harmless warning squeeze "You've got to remember, we're not the merchandise Kiritsu-sama" Kaito hadn't looked it, but his friend had been very uncomfortable with the touch. He couldn't blame him.

"I'm sorry" Kiritsu smiled, unashamed of his actions "I just couldn't help myself"

Kaito raised a brow "I thought that you were supposed to have better control" His tone was light, but questioning.

The man just offered a shrug as they passed a few unfamiliar doors "I can't help wanting what I want" The long hallways were annoying, but he put up with them since they made it harder to escape "You understand right, that's why the two of you are here" It was apparently wrong to keep people, but they still did it because they wanted to. They stopped in front of a door, having finally reached their destination "Guests first" He grinned, opening the door and stepping aside to let them pass through.

Shinichi and Kaito shared a look before the sleuth stepped inside, after spotting nothing that could hold the door shut he motioned for Kaito to follow inside "This is a lot more empty than what I was expecting" He breathed, the only thing out in the open was a comfortable looking black bench. Everything else must be held within the countless wall compartments. The room also smelt unnaturally clean.

"I don't think we should close the door" Kaito frowned, pinching his nose for more effect "It smells too much like bleach" And the air vents looked too small.

"Sorry, the other rooms like this are being used" Kiritsu kicked a door wedge, jamming the door open "I'll have to scold the one assigned for cleanup, the door was supposed to have been left open so it could air out"

"Okay" Shinichi didn't like the sound of that, but he was glad that Kiritsu hadn't been planning to make them pass out via fumes

"Bleh" Kaito couldn't help but make the noise, he could taste bleach just from smelling it "At least we know that it's sanitary"

Kiritsu chuckled "Now why don't the two of you explain how you want your new purchase to behave?" While he'd love to spend a lot of time going through everything, it would take too long.

They both inwardly grimaced at the question "I think we want her to be more docile, or at least less dangerous?" Shinichi phrased it as a half question.

"That sounds like a good start" Kiritsu agreed, violent stock usually wasn't worth keeping unless they were special. The risks were just too high and were rarely worth the payout "It could have easily been Kai's throat instead of his eye"

Kaito didn't stop himself from touching his throat uneasily, it was a natural reaction, one that may make him seem less capable "It was a piece of a broken vase too, so it was sudden" That would further prove that they needed some instruction.

Kiritsu hummed, eyeing the two, not bothering to hide his excitement "We don't have any fakes to demonstrate, and the two of you didn't want to touch a different item" Why keep fakes hanging around when they had plenty of the real thing? "Which one of you is going to volunteer to be the one restrained?" Teaching others how to use restraints by using books was no fun.

"Nichi is" Kaito replied, the answer heavy on his tongue. The two of them had discussed this in great lengths before deciding that the sleuth would be the best choice. If things went to hell, Kaito had a better chance of escaping and calling on backup "I have a great memory so I can show him how to do it when we get home" Indigo glinted with a hint of danger "He's mine so restrain yourself or you might die" It wouldn't be his first kill.

Chapter 41: Chapter 41 Chair Room

Notes:

Written January 20 2021
Posted on Wattpad February 15 2021
Posted here May 14 2021

Chapter Text

"That was interesting" The sleuth breathed "I don't think I'm into restraints though" Shinichi felt a strong sense of satisfaction as he put his outer clothes back on over the mostly tight bodysuit that both him and Kaito had worn hidden under their clothes. They'd both worn them as a precaution in case they decided that Kaito would be the test subject instead for some reason. Kiritsu's disappointed face when he realized that neither of them would end up naked had been amusing, especially since the bodysuits were just tight enough that it wouldn't really get in the way of restraints or anything.

Kaito nodded in agreement "I have my favourite ones memorized" When they got back to Japan, he was going to pester Saguru to teach him how to do them. Shinichi stifled a small laugh at his friend's comment.

Kiritsu nodded, feeling a bit peeved that he hadn't got to see either one naked "I'm glad that you already have some favourites" He paused, pulling out his phone that had just buzzed. It was his work phone so he only ever got important messages "Oh, why this is a surprise" Kiritsu murmured, half to himself after reading the text.

"Is something wrong?" Shinichi asked, the other hadn't pulled out his phone before.

"No" Kiritsu looked up from his phone to eye the two males curiously "It seems like someone important has taken an interest in the two of you"

Kaito hid his grimace, he wasn't fond of that even though that was sort of a vital part of their plan "I'm not sure what to think about that" He replied honestly.

"We haven't really done anything special" Shinichi added.

The man shrugged "I'm not too sure either" Kiritsu paused "But I'm just the messenger, so I'm going to take the two of you there" Both agents bristled at the implication that they wouldn't have a say in whether they went or not. The man just chuckled at the negative reaction "Well, follow me" He led them out of the room, they followed easily.

Both agents kept extra close to each other as they were led through a series of odd and winding passages. There wasn't any decor so this part of the building seemed like it was a maze. Neither one mentioned anything when they passed the same area twice, only able to tell due to a faint hairline crack in one of the corner tiles. It was alarming that Kiritsu seemed to be trying to get them lost, thankfully they both had better memories than most people so by the time they arrived at an elevator, neither one felt lost.

Shinichi narrowed his gaze at Kiritsu "I'm not sure that I want to be in an elevator with you" Their distrust of the man wasn't a secret, so there wouldn't be anything lost by voicing the thought.

Kaito nodded in agreement "Yeah, we're not idiots" He loosely wrapped his arms around Shinichi's shoulders, pretending to lean his weight on him "You're not exactly trustworthy"

Kiritsu smirked "Don't worry they don't want to see me" He gave them both a shove, feeling satisfied at their startled calls when the elevator fell down a few feet from their weight. Call him petty, but he'd really been looking forward to seeing one of them naked, so being unable to had been annoying.

"You okay?" Shinichi asked, steadying himself. The elevator had started lowering again, but at a much slower pace.

"Yeah" Kaito frowned, rubbing his head, he'd hit it when the floor had dropped beneath him "That bastard"

"I wasn't expecting that either" Though there were worse things that could have happened "I'm pretty sure he was mad at us"

The magician snorted, rolling his eyes "Of course, we foiled his nefarious plans" He waggled his fingers childishly as he spoke. They both fell silent after that, unsure if there were any microphones hidden within the elevator. After a good few minutes Kaito frowned "This is taking too long" Indigo narrowed in thought before he jumped up, jostling the elevator when he landed.

"Don't do that!" Shinichi hissed, grabbing onto the railing as the elevator lurched downwards "What if it got stuck?" Getting stuck in a place like this would be dangerous.

"Fine" Kaito crossed his arms, leaning against the walls in boredom as the elevator continued to slowly lower itself "I don't like how deep we're going" Going back up would be very stressful if they had to make a break for it. They really should have prevented themselves from getting shoved.

"... I think we've travelled at least over 30 stories" Shinichi breathed, unsure of the exact amount.

"Ah..." That was pretty deep. Eventually the elevator did come to a gentle stop, opening easily to let them step out of it "Huh" Kaito blinked, it didn't look like they'd gotten trapped in a creepy sex dungeon, so that was good at least.

They were in a nice meeting styled room with nice plush chairs of all sorts of colours and styles scattered around randomly and a mahogany desk that held an old style computer. Everything looked clean, and nothing sex related seemed to be in sight.

"There's nobody here, so I guess we should take a seat?" Shinichi half asked as he cautiously made his way deeper into the room.

"... I want the chair"

Shinichi looked over to see Kaito eyeing a hilariously large egg shaped chair that was a nice shade of indigo "Of course you do..." Kaito's silly actions were helping him to relax a bit. He made his way over and sat in the blue checkered recliner beside Kaito's chosen chair. The magician was just sitting in it, but if they'd been in a safer place, Shinichi was pretty sure that his friend would be curled up in it "I'll buy you one for your birthday or something" They were near the middle of the room so they had a lot of room to escape if they needed to.

"Good, it's comfy" Kaito was silent for a bit "This room is really weird" Would he be able to get away with snatching the computer's hard drive? Sneaking in a USB stick would have been dangerous so it was either the drive or nothing.

Chapter 42: Chapter 42 Danger Alert!

Notes:

Written January 25 2021
Posted on Wattpad March 1 2021
Posted here May 21 2021

NEXT UPDATE is on June 4 2021

Chapter Text

Azure flickered up towards the ceiling, taking note of the many small air vents "Very strange" He agreed. The room was easy to gas, he wasn't much of a fan of that. The elevator seemed only one way so the way back up still needed to be found.

Kaito wiggled a bit, testing to see if the chair would spin, it didn't "We should have ran away" He sighed. The surveillance in the room wasn't even discreet. There were cameras everywhere, more than what was actually required to view everything, not to mention the fast that there were sections of the walls that were actually mirrors. The magician squinted at one of the mirrored sections "...I think the mirrors could move?" Now he was curious.

"Maybe an exit is behind one of them"

"Maybe..." Kaito agreed, hopping out of the chair to inspect the closest mirror. He tapped it cautiously before tugging on the edge, letting out a startled call when the wall moved with little difficulty. Kaito staggered back as a bunch of mirrors unfolded like one of those folding closet doors, except much, much longer.

"That's not creepy at all" Shinichi deadpanned, if all the mirrors did that, it would be very disorientating.

The magician barked out a laugh before giving the mirrors another push in an attempt to put them back. They didn't budge "I don't want to risk breaking them so I'm gonna just leave that how it is" It seemed like a bad idea to risk breaking something here. He went back to the comfy egg chair "... I am feeling very aroused, are you?" Kaito blurted out in askance. It had been a slow thing that he'd just noticed after sitting.

"The vents must really be for gas" Shinichi scowled, standing up "We're leaving"

Kaito grimaced, using his magic to start flushing out the drug. He'd been hoping that he was just having a random bout of arousal due to abstinence "I'm not complaining" He put a hand on Shinichi, working his magic on the other as well.

"Let's check all the mirrors" Shinichi paused "And push the chairs around" They weren't acting like infiltrators, they were acting like people that didn't trust and wanted to leave. Which was helpful to prevent them from being suspected. They both checked around the room, with Kaito occasionally touching Shinichi to boost the healing effects. By the time they were finished, the room was even more chaotic looking than when they'd first arrived. Mirror walls were cutting everywhere through the room and all the chairs were flipped and tossed to the side.

"I think the concentration has been increasing..." Kaito breathed uneasily, he was needing to use a lot more magic than he should've needed to use. He still had a lot of magic left inside him, but it was becoming concerning. He leaned in close, voice low "Many people would have overdosed by now"

Shinichi grimaced, was it really that bad? "There has to be an exit somewhere" They just hadn't found it yet.

"You are quite correct" Both males whirled around at the voice, only to watch as the left wall lowered to reveal a glass wall, though this one had a door in it. The man was behind the glass. The one who'd spoken looked to be tall and middle aged, not old enough for wrinkles, but not young enough to be called young. He looked to be part Japanese with his dark blue eyes and black hair. He was clad in loose black slacks and a grey dress shirt.

Kaito propped his hands on his hips, raising a brow "Can we leave now? The service here is terrible" Acting annoyed was a valid response and allowed him to hide how uneasy he felt. The air felt quite heavy so he was starting to worry about the oxygen levels.

"Drugging us was very rude" Shinichi nodded, cheeks a bit flushed.

Oops, Kaito leaned against the other to boost the healing "We followed the rules too"

The man just chuckled, smiling kindly "I'm sorry, but I wanted to know how the great detective Kudo Shinichi and magical doctor Kuroba Kaito would react to this kind of situation"

"Oh?" Kaito's smile was tense.

"What gave us away?" Shinichi inquired, alarmed at the exposure of their identities.

"Nothing, I had my eye on Kaito a long time ago" He barked out a laugh at how uneasy the two seemed "Don't worry, I missed the opportunity so I only looked into the great Kaitou Kid" He continued to smile "It was easy to figure out after looking deep enough, your husband's claims back then had helped a lot too" Many dates had aligned nicely once he knew what direction to look in.

"Not that stuff again, Kaitou Kid died years ago" Kaito forced out. He needed to stay calm, they needed to get out of here, then he could freak out.

"You went missing before I could get you so I turned my attention to Shinichi, though I thought better of it" The mad admitted, it was a shame "Shinichi was too protected and had powerful allies" It would have been stupid to even try "Can you guess how surprised I was to see you both enter the facility?"

Shinichi swallowed, they'd been found out from the very start "Yet you didn't do anything"

"It was hard to resist, so I had to at least toy with the best ones that have ever forced me to give up on them"

"You're going to kill us" Kaito breathed, feeling a bit light headed.

"Possibly, I had already started to move everything of importance even before your arrival due to the FBI butting in" He shrugged, looking at the pile of chairs "It pains me to leave the trophies for the ones that got away, but at least I was right in knowing what the two of you would like" his dark gaze glinted "I'm not actually near you two, I'm on a very high resolution TV that took ages to get the perspective correct on" He paused "That place will be erased soon"

Okay, that's creepy "...But there are still people here" Shinichi argued.

"Only the ones that I don't care for... And you two" The whole wall flickered and turned black, revealing that it really had just been a TV.

Chapter 43: Chapter 43 Anticlimactic

Notes:

Written February 8 2021
Posted on Wattpad March 8 2021
Posted here June 4 2021

Chapter Text

Kaito shared an uneasy look with Shinichi "What are the odds of bombs being used?" The situation was both weird and unnerving. They'd been duped the moment they'd arrived, which was something that neither of them were used to.

Shinichi gave Kaito a flat look "... Big criminal organizations tend to be fans of bombs and fire" The knowledge was born from experience.

"Ah..." Kaito eyed the elevator shaft "There's not enough space for me to fly up..." And even if there had been, he wasn't sure if he'd be able to move said elevator enough to allow him to exit the shaft. He frowned, now that he thought about it"...Shouldn't everything be going up in flames by now?"

"...This isn't fiction you know" Though Shinichi had to admit, many major criminals that monologued often tended to copy other cliches as well. The sleuth eyed Kaito more closely "Just use enough magic to stop us from dying from an overdose" Kaito was starting to look a bit tired "You'll need to save it for when we get injured"

"...You find an exit, I'll steal the hard drive" He honestly couldn't see a way out of this place, and by the lack of action on Shinichi's part, the sleuth was the same. Kaito grimaced, he felt so slow and sluggish on top of the effects of the aphrodisiac so there must be some mild sedatives mixed in. Thankfully they both had quite a bit of immunity to sedatives so they weren't at risk of passing out.

Fifteen minutes passed by slowly, and by then, the two had yet to find a way out. The hard drive had been child's play to obtain so Kaito had joined Shinichi in the search.

"I don't get it" Shinichi sighed, face flushed a dark red "Between the two of us, we should have already found the exit by now" Not to mention the fact that the lack of immediate danger following the boss' warning was unnerving.

Kaito nodded, the action causing him to lose his balance and sway a bit before quickly correcting himself. The combination of the drugs and exhaustion was starting to get to him "I think the only exit is the shaft, someone from above might be required to lower it" He frowned "Which is odd since then it would be easy to betray whoever is in charge"

Shinichi became alarmed when Kaito suddenly sank to the ground so that he was resting on his knees "Oi..." He nudged him with his food "We're not done here yet you idiot" Azure narrowed in suspicion, Kaito must have been healing him more than himself "Don't you know that the person with medical capabilities is supposed to be kept the healthiest?" He scolded, wanting to get a rise out of the other.

"Why won't this place catch fire or blow up already?"

"...That actually might be the only way out of here" Shinichi agreed. The destruction would inevitably crumble the foundation enough to make an exit for them to use if they didn't die first.

"I want explosions to happen before I decide to jump you" He knew that the instinct wasn't one he'd normally have, but at the moment he didn't really care all that much.

"Same" Shinichi grimaced, moving a bit away from the other. He must be really drugged up since that comment wasn't nearly as unappealing as it should have been. The sleuth could only imagine how Kaito was feeling since the idiot had prioritized his health over his own.

"So many cameras" Kaito breathed, voice airy "Could be waiting for us to do something first"

"I hate that that almost makes sense" They'd searched every inch of this place "We should destroy them" He paused "I should destroy them" The sleuth wasn't sure if Kaito was capable of walking without falling "Maybe it will anger him enough to blow us up"

"Destroy is good"

Shinichi attempted to move quickly, only to stumble and force himself to walk somewhat fast to stop himself from falling on his face. He grabbed one of the lighter looking chairs and hurled it at one of the cameras before picking it back up and doing the same with the other cameras he could find. The chairs were too well made to even attempt to just get a leg to hit with. It was tiring, but eventually he got them all, or at least he was pretty sure that he had. Panting and soaked with sweat, Shinichi laid down to catch his breath. He was too tired to even sit up.

"Shinichi" Kaito's voice was soft, and coming from much closer than what Shinichi had been expecting. Azure opened, the sleuth having not even realized that he'd closed them. Kaito was sitting right next to him, the other's pupil was blown wide from the drugs. The magician gently rested a hand on the other's thigh "I want you, can I?" He really liked Shinichi, even if he didn't love him.

"Y-" The sleuth bit his own tongue, shaking his head to clear it since he'd almost agreed "Sorry Kaito but no" He avoided meeting the other's gaze since Kaito was seeming a lot more attractive to him than usual "Saguru would be hurt"

Kaito let out a small whine "Lies" He removed his hand from Shinichi's thigh "He'd think it was hot" Saguru had mumbled something about that after a night together when he was half asleep.

Shinichi snorted "You're so high..." Why wasn't he as high? Was it because birds are more sensitive to some fumes? He hoped so, that way at least one of them would be mostly lucid.

"And horny, and tired, and bored" Kaito added airily, resisting the urge to kiss the other. He'd said no, so touching was no good. He offered a lopsided smile "You're the same" He directed his gaze towards Shinichi's crotch.

The sleuth's face burned from more than just the drug's effects "Drugs" He reminded Kaito.

"Drugs" Kaito repeated.

Shinichi almost wanted to laugh, this was one of the weirdest situations he'd ever been in "Yes dru-" A large explosion drowned out the rest of his sentence as the ground began to shake. 

Chapter 44: Chapter 44 Fearful Call

Notes:

Written February 15 2021
Posted on Wattpad March 15 2021
Posted here June 11 2021

Chapter Text

Yozora was concerned, concerned and scared. The young girl eyed the door hopefully, as if both Kaito and Shinichi would walk through it any second now. Neither of them had returned from the trafficking ring and it was nearing noon. They'd left yesterday. She just knew that something must have gone wrong, they wouldn't have just left her here without any warning unless they had to.

Knowing that a lot of damage could be done within minutes, Yozora walked over towards Shinichi's nightstand, crouched down, and grabbed the small cell phone that'd been taped to its bottom. Almost a whole day was long enough right? She wouldn't be ruining their plans. She bit her lip, almost hoping that that would be the case. It was the better alternative than them being hurt, or worse, captured.

She'd been informed of the phone's existence shortly after being rescued. It was to be used if there was an emergency, Kaito wasn't even aware of its location or existence since apparently the magician would be too tempted to use it.

With the phone in hand, she moved over towards the movie collection that was never touched. Shinichi had told her that the number she should call would correspond to the first letter of each movie title, then the last, alternating in an equal pattern. While keying in the number ended up being quite difficult, she eventually managed to feel confident enough to put it in, after triple checking of course.

Nervousness fluttered in her stomach as she heard the phone ring, making her feel a bit sick. She'd never phoned anyone before, and she wasn't really sure who exactly she was calling. But Shinichi trusted them, and Kaito must too since he'd apparently be tempted to call them. Yozora jumped a bit, hearing a calm voice speak through the device "Hello?" There was a short pause "Who is calling?" The other person didn't sound mean, just wary.

"Um" Yozora spluttered a bit, afraid that whoever this was might hang up "I was told to call if something bad happened" Her cheeks flushed at how her nervousness had pitched her voice oddly.

There was an intake of breath "Are they injured?"

"They're missing and I don't know what to do" She breathed, trembling. Voicing it was harder than just thinking about it.

"...You need to leave your location, I don't know who you are but staying where they were probably isn't safe anymore"

Yozora fearfully looked around, the once cozy hotel room suddenly feeling scary "I don't know where to go, I don't know the outside world"

There was a bunch of rustling, tapping, and clicking on the other end "I'll direct you to a safe place, the phone is on a special frequency that allows only a select few people to track it" There was some muffled background noise before the voice became clear once more "Get what you need and get out of the building, don't hang up. No electronics besides the phone"

"Who are you?" Yozora asked softly as she grabbed a bag and threw in some clothes and food, along with a few bottles of water. It felt heavy, but she'd been forced to do more tiring tasks than just carrying a bag before. She would manage.

"I'm Hakuba Saguru, and you?" The tone was curious.

A bit of the nervousness that'd been weighing on her left at hearing that name. This was Kaito's lover, the other always spoke fondly of him. Now she understood why Shinichi hadn't told Kaito about the phone "I'm Yozora, Kaito and Shinichi bought me to save me" This person was trustworthy.

"I was wondering why a child was calling me" There was a bit of silence "Tell me what happened but wait until you're alone on the streets. Don't run, it attracts attention"

The girl nodded, even though Saguru couldn't see her "Right" Yozora hoisted the bag over her shoulder and did her best to look casual as she made her way out of the hotel. Her instincts were telling her to run, it was good that she was used to fighting them.

There was a bunch more clicks "Keep going left until I say so" Saguru's tone was tense.

Yozora followed suit, looking around to note that there weren't many people around "They left yesterday to try to learn more but didn't return" Her voice was soft, not wanting to be overheard "I didn't call earlier because I didn't want to mess up their plans"

"Good thinking, they're both very capable, I would have done the same" There was a pause "Turn left, and yes, I'm aware that it's not actually a path"

The girl eyed the shrubbery dubiously but listened, forcing herself through the greenery until she came upon a small clearing.

"Change your clothes and hairstyle then take another left turn"

Yozora blinked, but obeyed. She'd read something about how changing clothes can make it harder for someone to follow you. Her hair had been up in a ponytail, so she took it out and just tucked it behind her ears after changing clothes. She then began to walk in the direction that she'd been told to, eventually coming upon a large cement pipe. Yozora was pretty sure it was related to the sewers or drains, she wasn't sure which though.

"Enter the pipe, around halfway through, feel around for a latch. Pull on it, enter, and close the door behind you" Saguru paused to do something that involved more clicks and taps "Lock it once you're inside, you'll be safe but the phone connection will be cut" A few more clicks "I'm taking the first plane over, either me or Kaito and Shinichi will let you out"

The girl swallowed, doing what she'd been told. The phone buzzed and fizzled, screen dying the moment she closed the door. She looked around curiously, it was a decent sized room that held a double bed, some canned foods, a digital clock, lots of bottled water, and a bag that looked like it held some clothing. On a closer inspection it did, though it was all for adults. Was this what people called a safe house?

Chapter 45: Chapter 45 Distractions Can Help

Notes:

Written March 4 2021
Posted on Wattpad March 22 2021
Posted here June 18 2021

NEXT UPDATE is on July 2 2021

Chapter Text

Saguru felt all kinds of sick as he cautiously made his way towards where he'd instructed Yozora to go before heading out on a plane. To be honest, Saguru would much rather be searching for both Kaito and Shinichi with the other agents instead of checking up on the girl. The problem was that he seriously doubted that someone with Yozora's history would handle a complete stranger well. At least with himself, he had the known connection to Kaito to at least ease some of the other's concerns. That didn't make it any less hard for him to go there though.

The blond rapped his knuckles against the hidden entrance, shifting back a fair amount so as to not crowd the one inside when the door opened. When the path opened, Saguru was met with a young child cautiously poking her head out. Her expression was a mixture of fear and anxiety which was reflected in her slate coloured eyes "I'm Hakuba Saguru" Saguru greeted gently, slowly holding out a photo that contained both himself and Kaito. It was a random one that Aoko had taken when they hadn't been paying attention.

Yozora eyed the photo with open curiosity. Kaito was easily identifiable and the blond in front of her matched the one that Kaito was sitting in the lap of in the photo. Both males looked a bit younger in it, and the happy smiles on their faces told her that they were indeed close "I-" The girl stuttered a bit, a little unsure on what should happen next "Come in?" She moved back to the opposite side of the safe house to allow the other inside. She still felt a bit nervous even though all the facts said that she should trust this person.

Saguru offered a soft smile as he slowly made his way inside, the girl was obviously scared of him "Kaito and Shinichi have yet to be found, but it's apparently a mess so it's not too surprising" Talking about the both of them felt like a safe topic, even if the news wasn't the best. Yozora seemed like a strong willed person.

The girl observed the blond, noting that the other had faint circles under his eyes and how his good mood seemed to be forced. She'd learned how to read people a long time ago, punishments had come with less frequency because of it. Though surprisingly enough, the fact that the other was upset was actually a bit comforting since being upset was normal in this situation "What do you mean by mess?" Surely messy rooms couldn't be that hard to search, even if there were a lot of them.

"The building was blown up..." Many bodies had already been found, thankfully none of them were known to him. It was very difficult to keep himself sounding calm as he continued "Normally by now we'd be expecting to retrieve their bodies, but they have special circumstances connected to them"

"Kaito's healing" Yozora stated, the magician's healing probably upped their survival rates drastically. It was a bit comforting.

Saguru blinked, a little surprised that she knew about that "Correct, and even without that, the two of them can perform feats together that I could only hope to achieve"

Yozora tilted her head, was the other trying to act strong in order to comfort her? Apparently that was a common thing adult liked to do, especially if they were with the police like Kaito had told her Saguru was "It's okay to be upset, I've seen people have complete meltdowns before" She sniffed "They'll be okay" They had to be, they'd promised to take her to Japan, the place her mother had escaped to for a few years.

The blond offered a sad smile "You're surprisingly smart" It made him curious about how long she'd been with them if she knew about Kaito's healing.

"The internet is great" Yozora admitted with a small smile before frowning "Though Kaito helped more when it came to emotions"

"That sounds like him" Saguru agreed "Unless those emotions are connected to himself"

The two talked for a good while, both slowly getting to know the other. Yozora's story almost physically hurt Saguru to think about, the girl was so young. The only time she'd actually been conscious outside had been when she'd been too busy on the phone with him to actually take anything in. The circumstances connected to her being rescued by both Kaito and Shinichi had also been very disheartening and had helped him to understand why they'd improvised in such a daring way.

Saguru was no idiot, he could easily see Kaito becoming very attached to Yozora even if he didn't mean to "Did you know that Kaito and I have been trying for a child for years now?"

Yozora offered a small nod "Kaito mentioned something about wanting kids when he explained his egg situation"

"Well..." Saguru paused, not really knowing how to proceed "Knowing Kaito, he'll probably be upset when you have to leave for a family in Japan"

The girl grimaced, suddenly feeling sad. She didn't want to leave them "I'll be sad too"

"If you're comfortable with the idea, I wouldn't mind if you're our first child. We were planning on having a few anyways by either blood or adoption" Saguru had no doubt in mind that Kaito would be thrilled to take in Yozora "I just know that Kaito is fond of you" He offered a small smile "And I may not know you all that well, but you're a smart and brave kid" Gold softened "You might be able to actually handle the weirdness that is our life" He paused "You don't have to if you don't want to though"

Yozora was awestruck at the offer, Saguru was kind, just like Kaito had said he was. Talking with the blond had made her feel a lot more comfortable around him "I might like that" She admitted, feeling a bit overwhelmed. Weren't adults supposed to make the choices for children like the internet often stated?

Saguru nodded in understanding "Don't tell Kaito about the offer even if you accept" Gold glinted mischievously in a way she'd seen in Kaito "Seeing him pout in silence will be adorable"

Yozora let out a small giggle, she could see why he was with Kaito.

Chapter 46: Chapter 46 Bloody and Helpless

Notes:

Written March 11 2021
Posted on Wattpad March 24 2021
Posted here July 2 2021

Chapter Text

Shinichi groaned, feeling absolutely miserable. Everything ached like nothing he'd ever felt before so he didn't even know how to describe it. The sleuth tried to get up, but immediately found that he couldn't. He was stuck, though he could move his arms. Confused, Shinichi opened his eyes, succeeding with a bit of difficulty. Azure widened, everything coming back to him "Ka-" He coughed, unable to finish his friend's name. Trying to yell for the other had been a bad idea.

There was a lot of blood, it made the sleuth feel sick just by looking at it. There was way more than even four people would be able to produce. He was laying in a scarily large dried pool of it, pinned down from the awkward placement of the debris. He should be dead, he really should be, how had he not noticed the metal bar that'd skewered his midsection?! It wasn't large, but being impaled often required medical attention.

Where was Kaito? Now that he was aware of his own situation, Shinichi was wary of moving too much. He didn't want to ruin what was obviously Kaito's own work, it had to be. He'd be dead otherwise so Kaito must have somehow healed him around the bar... The thought made Shinichi cringe, he wasn't going to enjoy having it removed. Shinichi craned his neck back as far as his body allowed in order to search behind where he laid. Kaito wasn't in front of him, so he must be somewhere behind him. The dried blood spoke of how long he'd been trapped, so if Kaito had gotten out, they'd both be in a hospital by now.

It was a miracle that even a bit of light had reached here. The room that they'd been trapped in had been so far down. It was shocking that there was even enough light to see anything at all, the sleuth was very thankful for the small mercy that'd been gifted to him. It was better than being trapped and unable to see anything at all, something that could have easily happened instead.

Eventually, Shinichi did catch sight of the magician, or at least a few fingers that were sticking out of a dark hole. They were bloodied and gripping at his pant leg, just barely grazing his skin where something had cut the fabric. The blood that had seeped from the hole was concerning, but the sleuth was relieved to have just located the other. Even if he couldn't do anything to check on him. If he was alive, then Kaito had to be as well.

Bracing himself, Shinichi rubbed his throat before attempting to speak again "Kai?" He asked, just the single syllable was difficult to get out. The sleuth waited a while for a response before sighing. The other must be unconscious, and he probably won't wake anytime soon. Now that he was aware of the touch, he could feel Kaito's magic working on him, it was probably the only thing keeping the two of them alive right now.

Fear began to slowly sink it's claws into the sleuth as he took in the situation as a whole. He would not be able to get to safety without help, and Kaito wouldn't be available to help him. His friend had already been overworked before their injuries as it was... So he was probably going to enter another magic coma of sorts to preserve his energy and life, if he hadn't already slipped into one that is.

So since he was stuck, one of the few things that he could do was to keep himself as still as possible. That way, there would be a smaller change of him damaging himself further. Which would prevent the magician from unconsciously upping the magic output. Shinichi swallowed even though his mouth was dry as he tried to calm his nerves. They would be rescued eventually, they had been microchipped and Yozora would eventually realize that something was wrong. Kaito's magic would just have to hold out until help arrived and if the other was in a magic coma, then that magic would last longer than normal as it stretched itself to the very limits it was capable of.

Time passed, enough so that their small area became enshrouded in darkness twice, it was scary. It meant that they'd been trapped here for over two days and it had reaffirmed the sleuth's suspicions about how Kaito wasn't going to wake up until a long while after they were rescued.

Shinichi shivered, frowning at the small motion. He hadn't felt cold until now despite how the blood loss should have made it harder to stay warm. The cold didn't last though, it disappeared soon after it had made its presence known. The cold came and went at odd intervals, with each time allowing more and more dread to build up in Shinichi. The sleuth had a horrible feeling that Kaito's magic was starting to prioritize the healing more strictly, which meant that the strain was really building up.

Azure stared up at the distant light from up above, would they be saved in time before Kaito's magic gave out? Or would they both die before rescue arrived? A part of him was tempted to kick Kaito's hand away, to at least better ensure the other's survival. The more rational part of his mind told him that Kaito would probably never fully recover mentally if he did that so he kept his leg still.

He was starting to feel tired again, he'd napped on and off. Shinichi allowed his eyes to close, there wasn't much to do and sleeping was better than being awake right now. He let out a few coughs, not registering the bits of blood that came up with the action since he'd been tasting blood ever since he'd first woke up. Resting would also help his own body to conserve its energy so it was a win-win in his opinion. Shinichi fell asleep, blissfully unaware of the blood that had slowly started to seep forth. It just added on to his own fatigue. 

Chapter 47: Chapter 47 Sadness and Hurt

Notes:

Written March 22 2021
Posted on Wattpad April 5 2021
Posted here July 9 2021

Chapter Text

Saguru really wanted to cry, he really really wanted to. The only thing stopping him from crying was Yozora, crying would most undoubtedly make the little girl cry as well since she'd know something had gone wrong "Yozora" There was a faint tremble in his voice as he called for the other's attention.

Yozora turned away from the book that she'd been reading "What happened?" She was almost too afraid to ask. The news that Saguru had gotten when he'd slipped a device through the door couldn't have been good if his tone meant anything. He'd done the task a few times so far to collect any updates, this was the first update that he'd actually received.

The blond did his best to keep his voice steady "Both Kaito and Shinichi have been found" He paused, feeling bile threaten to rise in the back of his throat "We need to leave now and head back to Japan"

Frowning, Yozora nodded "Okay..." She closed the book "Are we meeting them on the plane?"

"No" Gold burned "They're being readied for transport... They're alive but still in danger so we need to head out to allow the FBI to focus on them" He wasn't even allowed to see them. They'd been found a while ago but the FBI had waited to contact him.

"How bad?" Yozora couldn't help the question from slipping out.

"Bad" Saguru answered "Really bad, I only know the bare details" He turned to start collecting a few things, mainly just a few changes of clothes in case something happened. Nothing really important was here anyways. The blond turned back to Yozora "Is there anything you want to take?"

Yozora picked up the bag of clothes that Kaito had bought for her "I'm ready"

"Right" He didn't comment on how the girl's eyes were shining like she was about to cry "Let's go, the sooner we're out of this country, the safer we'll be" The two headed out in silence, neither one in the mood to make any sort of conversation.

The plane trip had ended up being nothing more than a blur to Yozora, in fact, Saguru had had to give her a small nudge to get her attention when they'd landed in Japan. Her arrival to the very place that her mother had talked about... It felt less exciting than she'd imagined it'd feel "So what now?" Yozora inquired, sticking close to the blond as he led her off of the plane. She couldn't help but note that Saguru looked slightly less stressed now that they'd landed.

Saguru paused, almost causing Yozora to walk into him "Well..." Yes, what now? He'd been mostly out of it recently "I would like to call a friend, well he's more Kaito's friend than mine. He's a doctor..." Kaito wouldn't have been able to do all of the tests that Yozora had needed without the proper equipment.

"A doctor friend?" Yozora shrunk back a little at the thought of properly meeting another person so soon.

Gold softened "It can wait a few more days if you want, but he will be coming over to care for Kaito" At least officially that is "A long stay in the hospital isn't ideal for Kaito" Kaito was a good doctor, but waking up hurt and weak in a hospital wasn't good for him. He pulled out his phone to check for any updates now that they were off the plane.

Yozora perked up at the mention of Kaito "He'll be back soon?"

"I'm checking for updates..." He replied, notifying her that he was still listening. He read through the various messages, frowning more and more as he read "...Kaito's still getting worse since they're using him to unconsciously heal Shinichi as they work on him..." That... That made him feel conflicted "When Shinichi is stable they'll allow Kaito's body to start recovering" He really didn't like the wording they'd used, couldn't they have worded it better?

"Oh..." That meant that Shinichi had to have been hurt really badly.

They continued to walk towards where Saguru had parked his car, he'd paid enough parking to allow it to stay there for a month "Once it's safe enough to move them without risking either of them dying, they'll be brought back to Japan" He explained as he opened the car door for Yozora.

The girl hesitated a bit before hopping inside and messing with the seat belt until she managed to click it in "So Shinichi will be in the hospital the longest?"

Saguru pursed his lips as he started the car "No, Kaito's magic will heal him... So Kaito will take longer to get better" His fingers gripped the wheel tightly, turning his knuckles white "Kaito will be in a special coma for a long time... I'll need to ask someone to know just how long"

Yozora sniffed, tears threatening to fall. She knew what comas were, they were scary and dangerous things that could kill or change people "Why are they making Kaito worse then?!"

The blond swallowed, understanding the girl's confusion "Because that's what Kaito would want if it was to save Shinichi" The three of them were close "He will wake up since it's origin is from him overusing his magic" He sighed "Kaito will be housed at home due to the magical nature of his condition he'll just need to be kept clean until he wakes up. Our doctor friend, Kusama Nowaki will be popping by off and on for appearances so things don't look suspicious. He knows about Kaito's special biology, he's trustworthy"

She still felt confused and upset, but she nodded in understanding nonetheless "Am I still staying with you?" She inquired softly.

"If you still want to, or you can be with Shinichi until Kaito is awake or you know me better" He'd extended the suggestion under the impression that Kaito would be around to make her feel more safe until she got to know him better "Though instead of adopting, I'd be fostering you until Kaito wakes up"

Yozora blinked "Fostering?"

"Ah, it's like taking care of a child but not having them officially become your child" He explained "Kaito will need something exciting to look forward to when he wakes up, he'd be sad to know that he missed an adoption" 

Chapter 48: Chapter 48 The World is Unkind

Summary:

Umm, potentially quite triggering topics but not graphic, I think

Notes:

Written March 25 2021
Posted on Wattpad April 12 2021
Posted here July 16 2021

Chapter Text

Yozora went silent as she contemplated her choices. Saguru was still mostly a stranger to her compared to the sleuth. While she trusted Saguru to a degree, the girl couldn't help but want to go with Shinichi since she knew him. She glanced at Saguru, the male had focused more on driving. Even though she wanted to stay with the sleuth, she knew that it would be better for her to stay with Saguru instead if she were to actually accept becoming part of his and Kaito's family. Yozora nodded to herself, determination lighting up her eyes "Staying with you would help me get to know you better"

Saguru nodded, a small smile on his lips "Okay, we'll have to move some stuff from your room to another one"

The girl blinked "I already have a room?" She'd never had her own room before, sheet dividers didn't count.

"Yes, Kaito and I have been trying for a child for a long time so we've already got a room all set up" Kaito would randomly buy another toy off and on whenever he got depressed about their failures, sometimes he did so as well "We'll move the stuff for younger children to another room, we have many rooms since we both want a large family since we had no siblings" Being an only child could be lonely, neither of them had wanted that for their own.

Siblings... Yozora had always hated the thought of getting any. The girl hugged herself, reminding herself that gaining a sibling wouldn't be the result of her mother's pain anymore "I might like that" If it was from love rather than pain... "I always dreaded having a sibling before" She admitted.

Saguru pursed his lips "I wouldn't blame you for having those thoughts" Considering how she'd grown up so far... It was to be expected really "Kaito wanted 12 children but I managed to convince him that at most we should go for 5 so that our affections aren't spread too thin"

Slate widened in shock "He wanted to have 12 babies?!"

Gold softened "No, Kaito's fertility... Well it would be impossible" He sighed "We'd be happy with just one biological child, or even having all of them being adopted"

"So you'd be happy with just adopting?"

"Yes" Saguru agreed "As long as we adopt one baby the other ages wouldn't matter, that way we'll have the full parenting experience"

"You can adopt babies?" The information was shocking, she'd thought that only kids could be adopted.

"Of course, not everyone is fit for parenting and not everyone is capable of having an abortion" Saguru explained.

"What's an abortion?" Yozora had never heard that word before.

"Ah" He would have thought that she'd known considering where she'd grown up "It's when someone who is pregnant has the fetu-" He quickly changed the word to be more understandable "The baby removed from them before it's developed enough to survive. It's not developed enough to have a soul or feelings yet"

Yozora blinked "I thought that killed the mother"

"If done wrong complications could arise and result in the mother's death"

"So I guess stabbing counts as wrong"

Saguru spluttered "Yes, very wrong" Stabbing? Those poor people "Abortions are generally very safe"

Safe... Would her mother have gotten one if she'd had that option? Probably... "I think that it's nice that that option exists" The outside world was so nice "My friend was too small so she died trying to have her baby" The memory didn't bring up too much pain, just fear if anything "She could have lived if she'd had an abortion" Maki hadn't wanted to die so she hadn't stabbed herself... She still died in the end.

Small, probably too young "I'm sorry that you had to go through that" Yozora was a really strong girl.

Yozora gave a small shrug "It was kinda expected" Her chest hurt just thinking about Maki's fear "We were just too hopeful that she'd live through it"

Saguru's heart hurt as he pulled over "Did Kaito introduce you to ice cream yet?" He eyed the ice cream stand.

The girl shook her head "No, but he said that he wanted to"

"Well I'm sure that he'd understand if I did that for you instead, so want to try some now?" He offered.

Ice cream... It was something that Kaito apparently adored... Yozora nodded, feeling a bit excited "Yeah, but I wouldn't know what to choose..." Kaito had claimed that chocolate was the best, but Shinichi had said that coffee was.

Saguru hummed in thought "Why don't you try three basic types that go together? Chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla. It's called Neapolitan"

"Okay" She fiddled with her seat belt before following after the blond who exited the car. She stayed silent as she half hid behind Saguru while he paid and got their ice cream. Saguru had ended up getting toffee flavoured ice cream, whatever that was. She curiously licked each scoop on her cone, enjoying the three flavours as she followed Saguru to a more secluded place under a tree. It took her a bit to realize that they were in a park "It's good"

The blond smiled "I'm glad" It was nice to know that sweets cheered her up like they did Kaito "Ice cream is a common treat in our house, that along with chocolate"

"Chocolate is nice, Kaito bought many different kinds for me to try" She'd liked the white chocolate the most and the dark had been horrible.

Saguru snorted "Of course he did, though he usually keeps it to himself"

Yozora giggled "Shinichi's reaction was the same" They spent a good while talking under the tree even after both of their ice creams had been finished. Eventually Yozora started a different conversation "You're really kind..." Yozora looked away "I didn't want to distract them from their objectives... Especially since I was unaware of some things" She paused, feeling a bit nervous "But now that it's currently safe, can I ask you something?" Saguru had been trustworthy so far, so she really hoped that he could help.

"I'll try my best to answer you" Saguru offered, giving Yozora a curious look. She looked really nervous.

"I don't want to die, can I have an abortion?"

Chapter 49: Chapter 49 Trust Build, Talking

Notes:

Written March 29 2021
Posted on Wattpad April 19 2021
Posted here July 23 2021

NEXT UPDATE is on August 6 2021

Chapter Text

Saguru's mouth opened and closed, the combination of both shock and horror that he'd suddenly been hit with was almost overwhelming. Thankfully he was able to recollect himself after watching the girl shrink in on herself "Yes, of course" Oh god... Yozora was a child! A literal child! Mature as she may be... She was just a child "I-" His mouth went dry as he found himself lost for words. Multiple different phrases passed through his mind before he blurted out a more structured response "It's your body, you will not be forced to have it" Choice was good right? For someone like her it should be a good response, right?

Yozora let out a relieved breath that she hadn't even realized that she'd been holding "Thank you" She wasn't going to die.

The blond forced his nerves to calm "No, thank you for informing me" Saguru was able to offer a sincere smile as he spoke "I know that stating something like that can be hard" He paused "Do you know how far along?" Yozora wasn't visibly pregnant at all, which was a relief. Saguru really wanted to punch the person who touched her.

Tilting her head to the side, Yozora thought "Two months at most, I hid the nausea from them"

"They probably thought it was stress or the change of diet if they did notice anything" Saguru concluded. Emotions could be nasty and were very well capable of making people feel sick or even actually make them sick. Gold eyed Yozora "Legally you shouldn't be in Japan yet, thankfully Kusama would most likely help you"

"The doctor friend?" She tucked her knees to her chest, looping her arms around them.

"Yeah, he's really kind and adores children almost as much as Kaito does" Saguru was confident that Nowaki would help if given the ability to do it in a way that wouldn't result in him losing his medical license "Though we might not have to be sneaky... I'm not sure how everything is legal wise anymore" For all he knew Yozora's paperwork could have been finished ten minutes ago.

Yozora nodded in understanding, feeling a bit nervous "I can wait a few days if I have to" From watching how Kaito and Shinichi had worked, she'd learned that some things just took time "I don't want your friend to risk getting in trouble"

Just how was Yozora so put together? It kinda awed Saguru, yet at the same time made him feel a bit sad "Very well, hopefully you'll be comfortable by the end of the week at the latest" He then thought of something "When you meet with Kusama, he'll give you options to inform you. He won't be pressuring you to change your mind" Warning her should help reduce future unease, hopefully.

The girl blinked "Options?" There were more than abortion or die?

"Yes, even when working with those underage in the same situation as yourself he prefers to have his patient as informed as possible so that there aren't any future regrets" If they were aware of their state, if not and the patient was too young, he'd listen to the parents or inform the child if the parents wanted them to be ignorant and keep it. Maybe CPS too since that screamed sketchy and traumatizing for any child.

"He sounds really nice" The thought of meeting the doctor was seeming a little less scary for her.

"He is" Saguru agreed before glancing at his watch to check the time "Are you feeling hungry yet?" It was nearing sunset, they'd talked for quite a while and lunch had been eaten on the plane. The blond was actually a bit shocked that the time had passed so fast. He resisted the urge to check for any updates.

Yozora's stomach rumbled, making the girl blush "I wasn't until now"

"Normally I'd pick up some takeout..." Gold glinted as a smile tugged at Saguru's lips "But, I have a feeling that Kaito gave in and followed Shinichi's habit of ordering food instead of actually cooking"

"Kaito can cook?"

"Indeed, he's actually a very good cook" He lowered his head dramatically and sighed "Shinichi is passable but resorts to takeout" He raised his head and offered a smile "I was in a rush so I didn't throw out or freeze the perishables. Do you have any idea of what you want to eat?" They'd hit the store if they didn't have the ingredients.

"I like cheese, so grilled cheese?" She'd never seen it on any takeout menu before so she was curious to know what it tasted like. At first they'd given her options to pick from, then later on she'd been able to choose whatever. Apparently they hadn't wanted to overwhelm her system with too many rich foods at once.

Saguru blinked at the simple food "Okay, I'll make some soup to go with it" He paused "Are you okay with meat?"

"It's tasty" She nodded.

"Very well" With that the two of them got up and headed towards Saguru's car, this time with Yozora feeling more comfortable as she followed him and the drive was more relaxed than before.

Yozora eyed the house that Saguru eventually pulled up to curiously, it was way too large for just two people. The fence was simple yet secure and the house looked clean "It looks nice" She wasn't sure what else to say.

Saguru smiled, offering her a set of keys "I want to do a few things first so go ahead and explore" Or learn how to use a key if she didn't know how. He was just going to check Kaito's roses, it wasn't really required but he didn't want her to feel watched as she explored "You can go anywhere, just don't lock me out" He knew how to pick a lock, but he'd rather not.

The girl hesitated before accepting the keys "Okay" Yozora didn't really understand why Saguru wasn't following, but she let her curiosity take hold and headed towards the door. At a closer inspection, the keys were adorable to look at. One was covered in kittens, another in white birds, the third was a glittery gold and the oldest one was covered in black and white odd grinning faces for some reason. For some reason they didn't seem like things Saguru himself would pick out.

Chapter 50: Chapter 50 Explore, Pictures

Notes:

Written April 7 2021
Posted on Wattpad May 3 2021
Posted here August 6 2021

Chapter Text

When Yozora entered the house, she was greeted by a face full of white feathers. Shocked, the girl took a step back before taking in what had hit her. It was a bird, a somewhat medium white feathered bird. The bird had also landed on her shoulder. Yozora's nervousness was soon broken when the bird began to coo softly and rub its face against her cheek, forcing a small smile to bloom as she let out a few giggles. The bird was really cute.

Since Yozora didn't know how to handle a bird, she let it perch on her shoulder as she removed her shoes before heading further inside. Slate were immediately drawn to the many photos scattered across the walls, many of them featured both Kaito and Saguru, though there were a decent amount that featured just one of them or neither. Shinichi was also a familiar face on the walls along with a few strangers that she didn't know. One photo nestled behind a door featuring an exasperated looking Saguru made her laugh, the blond was covered in what looked like flour and the bird was perched innocently nearby.

She quickly learned that the more amusing photos were placed in weird places, ones that were easily looked over. Those were the ones she intentionally searched for, even if a few were a bit blurry, maybe because the person taking said photo had been laughing? Or maybe even starting to run if some of the annoyed faces said anything. The photos really said a lot in her opinion, they were obviously spanned over quite a few years... They reaffirmed her decision to try out staying with Saguru.

Moving away from the photos, Yozora decided to check out the upstairs rooms. Kaito and Saguru's room was the first room that she had located, right at the top of the stairs. The girl closed the door to check on the next one, immediately realizing that it was the one that she'd probably end up staying in. There were... A lot of packaged toys for all ages scattered around and there was a plastic transparent cloth covering both a crib and a bed, probably to protect them from dust. Many different unopened bed sheets sets were also piled up on said bed. Saguru hadn't been lying when he'd said that he and Kaito were enthusiastic with the idea of having children. The dressers and bookshelves were also bolted into the walls for some reason, she'd ask why later.

Since she'd have time to check out that room more later, Yozora went to check the other rooms. For some reason there were two upstairs washrooms, so three in total. Which was a lot until one factored in their hope for a large family. The study didn't interest her much and she didn't even step in the room that looked like it had magic trick stuff in it... She didn't want to mess with that stuff. There were also 5 other bedrooms besides the first two, though they only had beds, dressers, some bookshelves, and sheets.

Eventually she smelled something cooking, blinking, Yozora silently made her way down to where she knew the kitchen was. She paused, peeking past the door frame

"What do you think of the house?" Saguru inquired, not even turning around since he was still adding some things to the soup. Living with Kaito had made it harder for people to actually sneak up on him.

"I think it's nice" Yozora blushed, feeling somewhat shy for some reason "There was a lot in that one room like you'd said there'd be" The food smelt really good "And your keys are questionable"

Saguru snorted "Kaito picked them out just to mess with me" He'd kept them though, even if they sometimes garnered teasing for him from his coworkers.

A small smile tugged at her lips "I can see that, Kaito's very playful and flirty"

"Flirty?" The blond stifled a chuckle "Poor Shinichi, what did Kaito do?"

Yozora giggled "He said he wouldn't mind a threesome, Shinichi whacked him"

Saguru hummed "He'd have to mess up his hair first" Normally he wouldn't say that out loud, but judging from the girl's amusement, he figured that she'd be fine with it. That and she brought it up in the first place.

The girl blinked "I thought that it was bad when a couple sleeps with someone else" She'd been told that sex was for those who loved each other.

"Well... Casual unions do happen and as long as everyone agrees it should be fine" He'd never actually participated in such a thing before, but he wasn't adverse to the idea. The thought of two people who looked like Kaito was appealing "Though I would advise against it if a relationship is new"

Yozora nodded in understanding "That makes sense" She paused before speaking "Do you have anything that I can use to access the internet? I've learned a lot from it so far"

The internet? Well he couldn't blame them for letting Yozora use it. There wasn't a lot one could do when stuck in a hotel room "I'll reserve a phone online for you and I'll pick it up tomorrow" While mail theft wasn't really common here, he still didn't like the idea of being mailed an electronic device "Any preferred colours? I'll default to black if there's nothing of good quality"

"I really like the colour red" Her mom had really liked it too, it was just a nice colour.

Saguru nodded "I'll try to find a nice red phone case, if there are none, I'll get black for you to use until we find one you like and that is actually protective" Most phone cases came with a black option didn't they?

"Okay" Phone cases were important so Yozora was fine with that "Thank you for letting me have a phone" They were really expensive.

"Phones are vital in this day and age, especially since both Kaito and I have jobs that'll require us to be called in unexpectedly" Saguru glanced back at Yozora "Though we'll probably take on less hours if you decide to stay" They didn't want to neglect their children like their own parents had done to them.

Chapter 51: Chapter 51 Fixing Bedroom

Notes:

Written April 19 2021
Posted on Wattpad May 10 2021
Posted here August 13 2021

Chapter Text

Dinner was only a bit awkward, thankfully the two of them were able to ease that awkwardness with a conversation about Tsuki. Learning that Tsuki was a dove which was the same as a pigeon had been shocking for Yozora to learn. Tsuki was too cute and smart to be classified as a pest in her eyes, despite having known the bird for less than a day. After they ate, Yozora also helped to put away the dishes after Saguru cleaned them.

"Do you want to get your room properly set up?" Saguru inquired as he finished drying his hands. It wasn't that late by his own standards, but he figured that the girl would be more tired than he was.

"Yeah" Yozora stifled a yawn "I'm feeling tired even though I slept some on the plane"

"New things can tire people out easier" Saguru explained as he and Yozora headed upstairs towards Yozora's designated bedroom "You can pick the bedding while I start moving some of the infant and toddler stuff out" That way the room would be more personal for her "If you decide to stay, you can choose what colour the walls will be" Saguru added as he started to collect some boxed toys.

The girl nodded, moving over to take a better look at the different bed sheets. There were many different solid coloured ones, but there were also a fair number of patterned ones. Yozora passed over the solid ones and instead started to go through the patterned ones... There were a lot of bed sheets but in the end she ended up going with the sheet that looked like a picture of grass. Instead of choosing the matching pillowcase she chose one that was covered in cartoon hearts and rainbows and a thin blanket that was covered in cartoon kittens and puppies. The bed looked silly all done up but she still liked it.

Since Saguru hadn't said anything when she opened 3 different sheet sets, Yozora went over and grabbed a giant stuffed fox that'd been sitting in one of the corners. The thing was as big as herself and it's fur was silky and soft. When she plopped the fox onto her bed, it took up almost the entire thing. Snuggling with it would be great. Yozora was actually starting to feel kinda excited for some reason.

Saguru snickered when he noticed the fox "Kaito was really insistent on buying that because apparently all children should have a giant stuffed animal" He'd never had one and neither had Kaito nor Aoko so the magician's reasoning had been very questionable.

A faint blush tinted the girl's cheeks "It's very soft" She glanced at the bed. Now that she thought about it, the sheets felt extra nice too "It and the sheets don't bug me..." She was a bit confused since the things had been in their packages.

The blond blinked "Do you have any allergies? Kaito and I chose the softest ones we could find"

"I don't think so, but I apparently have sensitive skin" Yozora stated as she folded up the plastic bed covers that she'd removed. She glanced away "I'm also not completely used to wearing clothes... That's why my clothing is from second hand stores" It wasn't as uncomfortable as it used to be, but she'd still rather not wear anything if she were to be honest with herself.

"Ah, okay I'll remember that" That was better than an allergy at least "I think there's some leftover sensitive skin laundry detergent left" It was for cleaning some of Tsuki's bedding. Just because she didn't poop on it, didn't mean that it shouldn't be cleaned once in a while. Saguru studied the crib "We'll be more free to test out soft things here for you so we might find a good clothing brand that you might like" There'd be no danger for her to go and try things on compared to how it was before. The blond tested the crib's weight "I could put a lock on the inside of the door for you if you want"

Yozora blinked "Why would I need a lock?"

"To lock Kaito and I out so you have some privacy" Saguru paused "Or to notify us that you're busy since locks are kinda useless when Kaito is involved" He explained "I'll have the key for emergencies but I wouldn't use it unless I had to"

"I would like that" That way she could sleep in her underwear without upsetting anybody! Sleeping would be even better that way.

Saguru nodded "Very well, I'll get to work on that tomorrow" He'll install the same thing on his shared bedroom with Kaito as well. That way there would be less of a chance for awkward situations to come up.

Yozora gave Saguru a funny look "You have that stuff just lying around?"

"Kaito likes to buy a lot of weird things" Saguru smiled "I'm sure that we actually have many different doorknobs and locks stored away. You can choose what you want so long as it fits" Installing a lock couldn't be that hard could it? "Though if I ruin your door I'll steal the study door to replace it and the lock will have to wait until Kaito is better" It was hard to undo putting holes in things. He frowned "The crib will have to stay until I get some help" It was quite heavy due to how sturdy it was and he didn't want to risk damaging it.

"Okay" That sounded fair, at least Saguru would try instead of just giving up. With her bed set up, she joined Saguru in the task of removing things that she wasn't interested in. Many stuffed animals were kept, mainly because she liked soft things.

When they finished, the room looked more tidy as a whole "I hope you sleep well Yozora" Saguru breathed.

"You too" She replied a bit awkwardly, unsure of what she should call the other.

Saguru offered a soft smile before leaving, closing the door behind him. When he entered his own room, he shut the door before slowly making his way to the bed. Now that he was alone, Saguru allowed himself to break.

Chapter 52: Chapter 52

Notes:

Written April 24 2021
Posted on Wattpad May 17 2021
Posted here August 20 2021

NEXT UPDATE is on September 3 2021

Chapter Text

When Saguru woke up the next morning, he felt completely and utterly exhausted despite having slept. Feeling disgusting from all his crying and in dire need of a shower, the blond forced himself out of his bed. His eyes stung, hopefully he wouldn't look as horrible as he felt once he was refreshed. There was so much that needed to be done, he couldn't afford to mope around in bed all day. Even if he really wanted to.

Saguru resisted checking his phone for any updates in favour of grabbing what he needed for his desired shower. If he checked the phone, he'd be tempted to keep checking it. Ignoring it for now was the better option. He needed to at least get himself to look presentable.

The shower ended up being a quick and simple thing. The only thing he did differently was applying some makeup to hide the dark circles under his eyes. It was a skill he'd learned from living with Kaito for so long. Putting on the makeup around his eyes had long since stopped feeling weird to him. Once Saguru was satisfied that he looked as well as he could, he headed out of his room.

He was actually a little surprised to see that Yozora had already started to eat breakfast. The girl had located Kaito's Lucky Charms, a cereal that was much too sweet for Saguru's own tastes "Good morning" He greeted, glad that the girl had felt comfortable enough to get food for herself "Did you sleep well?"

Yozora nodded, noting that Saguru looked really tired "Good morning, I slept really well" It had been hard not to with how soft and comfy everything had been. It had been nice to wake up snuggled up to the giant stuffed fox. She contemplated asking if he slept well but decided not to "What is today's schedule?"

"Schedule?"

"Kaito and Shinichi always told me what was going to happen since they were often really busy"

"Ah, makes sense" Saguru pondered his answer for a few moments before replying "I'm not completely sure, but there are a few things that I hope will get done" He pulled out some Cheerios for himself since it would be weird to cook something while Yozora ate cereal "I'd like to obtain your phone, install some locks, have you pick out some other items, and get an update about both your legal status along with Kaito and Shinichi's conditions" He'd also like for Yozora to have a medical checkup but the girl would need to be comfortable enough to allow that.

Yozora blinked "I'm going outside again?" It still felt odd to think about actually going outside.

"If you feel up to it" Saguru offered a small smile "We'll go to a toy store and you can get whatever you want within reason" Seeing the start of a frown Saguru continued "Kaito and I are really rich, it's hard to spend it all" The girl may be very mature for her age, but he wanted her to have a chance to be the kid that she was. She could get young child toys for all he cared, just so long as it was something that the girl wanted "We'll also hit a bookstore to get things for the both of us"

The thought of obtaining even more stuff... Yozora couldn't help but feel a little overwhelmed, yet at the same time she also felt a bit curious. It wasn't like she would be forced to get things, Saguru had said that they'd be getting whatever she wanted so if she wanted nothing, they'd get nothing "Okay, I want to go out" She'd never been inside a store before.

Saguru nodded "We can head leave the store too if you start to feel too overwhelmed" He was probably overwhelming the girl now just be looking at her face "The only really important things that need to be done are out of our hands at the moment so there's no rush"

Yozora bit her lip "But what if I don't stay? Wouldn't it be a waste?" It was a question that she felt like she had to ask. Sure she was mostly on board with staying, but it still felt too soon to really decide yet.

Gold softened "It wouldn't be a waste, we would have just ended up helping someone in need out" They'd ensure that Yozora would be able to take what she wanted with her if she did leave.

Oh... That made her feel a bit better. The girl eyed Saguru "Could we go tomorrow? You look really tired today" She was no stranger to seeing people use makeup to hide how tired they were. Those people who'd kept her had liked to keep everyone looking nice.

"I appreciate the thought Yozora" Saguru gave a tired but genuine smile "But I'd just end up moping in bed all day if I'm not kept busy"

The girl nodded in understanding "Being busy really helps, I've learned a lot due to that" So maybe the toy store wasn't just for herself after all... "I'm curious to see what kinds of books I can learn from"

"There's too many to even start naming" Saguru paused "Though you might like my favourite fiction series about Sherlock Holmes" He couldn't not suggest it "You're not going to go to school this year, so we'll buy lots of books to catch you up and maybe even get you ahead if you're up to it" Yozora needed to be introduced and comfortable in society before she went to school. That wasn't even factoring in how much she could be behind.

"... That name sounds familiar" Had she read the name or had Kaito or Shinichi mentioned it?

Gold lit up "Shinichi is a very big fan of the series, Kaito not so much" At least the other had actually read the books before judging it. Apparently already knowing the solutions before reading them had made Kaito enjoy them less. That was the problem with something so popular or at least well known, it got referenced a lot.

"I might try it then" If it was too high level, she'd wait until she could read it. The last time she'd tried to read a difficult book had been horrible, it hadn't been enjoyable at all. 

Chapter 53: Chapter 53 Humans are Trash

Notes:

Written May 3 2021
Posted on Wattpad May 24 2021
Posted here September 3 2021

Chapter Text

After they both finished eating, the two split up to get ready before heading out to the toy store. Though first they did a quick stop to pick up Yozora's phone and accessories that'd been ordered late the night before.

"It still seems so strange that there are stores dedicated to just toys..." Yozora stated once they pulled up into the parking lot. It just seemed... So extra for some reason.

Saguru shrugged "There are billions of different toys in the world, they have to be sold somewhere I guess" He could see where the girl's thought process was coming from, toys obviously weren't common to her before she'd been rescued. At least not the child friendly ones.

"So we're just going to walk around in there?" She was feeling a little nervous.

The blond nodded "And buy you a bike for sure" At Yozora's confused look Saguru explained "I'd like for you to learn how to ride one at least" He locked the car as they stepped out "While it's not preferred, borrowing a bike to escape someone dangerous has its uses" It wasn't a good thing to do, but it was better than ending up dead.

Slate eyed Saguru sceptically "If you say so..." Learning how to ride a bike wouldn't hurt "Are you speaking from experience?"

"Indeed" Saguru pursed his lips "Being connected to Kaito and I, along with the people around us has proven to be more dangerous than normal... Especially when Shinichi is involved"

Yozora frowned "Oh..." If how she was rescued was any indication, she could totally see what Saguru was talking about. She paused in her steps, eyeing a yellow plastic bag, it was moving weirdly.

"Touching trash without gloves is dangerous" Saguru warned as he moved to intercept the girl, you never knew what sickness it could carry "Wait" Gold narrowed as he took note of what Yozora had noticed. He pulled out a pair of gloves and put them on, Saguru always had a pair lying about out of habit.

The girl moved away from the bag, having listened to the other's warnings "It just seems weird" Saguru nodded, carefully tearing open the tied bag. Yozora gasped, shocked "Are those kittens?!" She'd seen so many of the cute fuzzy things on the internet! She hurried over, crouching next to the blond, slate narrowing in confusion "Are they okay?" Having a bag over your head wasn't pleasant, it was a horrible punishment.

Gold darkened as Saguru picked up a tiny black kitten with a white tuft of fur in the middle of it's chest "...This little one needs to go to the vet" It was weak, but that was fine.

Slate lit up "So the others are okay?" That was good.

"No" Saguru gently pet the weakly mewling kitten "They're dead" All 5 of the other kittens had perished within the bag. Why did people have to be so horrible?

"Why would someone do that?" Yozora inquired softly "Aren't cats supposed to be worshipped or something?" Surely something so common on the internet couldn't be false could it?

Despite the situation, a small smile made its way onto Saguru's lips at Yozora's comment "That is true, but not everyone feels that way or wants to be responsible enough to care for their cat's kittens"

Yozora bit her lip "Could we go to the vet instead of the toy store even though we're already here?" She didn't want the little kitty to die.

"Of course" Gold softened as he gently held out the kitten for Yozora to hold "You'll have to hold her though" Their plans had changed before she'd even asked.

The girl carefully took hold of the kitten "It's so soft and warm" She breathed softly, in awe of the tiny thing in her arms. Yozora was extra careful as she followed Saguru back into the car, bathing the kitten in many pets once she sat down "It's purring!" She squeaked, hearing the tiny rumbles.

"No..." Saguru smirked "She's growling" He started the car.

Yozora made a small 'o' with her mouth "Her growls are so cute..." The kitten made a small hissing sound before weakly swatting at Yozora's finger. Why did a scared animal look so cute? It was adorable, even though it wasn't a good thing that the kitten was scared.

Don't let it scratch you" Saguru cautiously warned "We don't know if she has anything" Cat scratches could turn surprisingly nasty and Kaito wasn't around to heal any injuries.

"Okay..." She refrained from waggling her finger in front of the kitten to instead just gently pet along it's spine.

By the time they reached the vet, Saguru had come to a decision. They were going to keep the cat. The cat would be good for Yozora and Kaito would love it so long as none of the accessories were fish shaped. That was why he'd gone to the vet that he knew also sold some basic pet supplies.

"Go pick out some cat stuff, just make sure that none of it has any fishes on it" Saguru breathed once they entered.

Yozora stared at him wide eyed "We're keeping it?!" She hadn't even needed to ask or anything.

Saguru nodded, eyes soft "Yes, and I'll grab anything that you might miss" Or wouldn't be able to lift like litter.

Not wanting to get her hopes too high, Yozora needed to ask something "But shouldn't Kaito be asked first?"

"No, before he and Shinichi left they teased me about getting a cat to prevent me from being lonely. Kaito will be fine if we keep the cat" He'd probably tease him about it too. Thankfully it was technically Yozora who was getting the cat so the teasing shouldn't last too long, hopefully.

"Okay" Yozora smiled as she broke off from Saguru when he headed towards the receptionist. She wanted to see all the cute and fun stuff that they could get for the kitten. The fish name tag was just adorable... But she couldn't get that so she went for a cute bone one. A cat could still wear it right? Yozora then went and picked up a sparkly red collar, it's surface was gelled so none of the sparkles would come off. 

Chapter 54: Chapter 54 Fluffy, Angry Kitty

Notes:

Written May 10 2021
Posted on Wattpad June 7 2021
Posted September 10 2021

Chapter Text

In the end, Yozora managed to pick out a lot of things for the kitten. She'd ended up grabbing a lot of small catnip infused toys, many of which were shaped like mice. That way the kitten would never run out of things to chase. Some of the other items that she'd picked out included a few corrugated scratching thingys, some red kitty approved nail clippers, and a red cat brush. A red kitty box and scoop were easily added to her cart. The litter and food would have to be grabbed by Saguru.

After she finished picking everything out, she waited on one of the seats for the blond to return with the cat. Yozora eyed the items, hoping that the kitten would like them. She should also think of something to name the kitten... Slate gleamed, she would name it Fluffy, because fluffy was a wonderful cat name. Even if the kitten's fur was short and not long.

Eventually Saguru returned with Fluffy, Fluffy was growling angrily, small hisses escaping from her tiny mouth. The blond looked very amused as he carried her "She was just a bit weak, so she was given her vaccinations and microchipped" They'd phone him if any of the tests revealed any problems.

Yozora smiled, glad that the kitten would be okay "Can her name be Fluffy?" The name seemed like a good one for the angry kitten.

Saguru blinked "Sure" It was a simple name... But there were worse things that it could be called. He went over and grabbed a purple cat carrier and placed Fluffy inside it, that way his hands would be free to carry the more heavier things "Fluffy is around 4 months old so she's going to have an appointment next week to get spayed" It was surprising that the kitten was actually that old, normally he'd expect kittens to be tossed at a younger age.

"What does spayed mean?" Yozora inquired.

"It stops her from ever having kittens" Saguru explained "It also prevents some health problems and behaviour issues" Responsible pet owners fixed their pets, there were enough abandoned animals in the world.

Oh, that sounded neat "Can I get spayed?" She never wanted to have babies.

Saguru stifled a laugh, he really should have expected that question "Maybe when you're an adult, a lot can change in just a few years" He couldn't blame her for asking though "Unlike humans, animals mate whenever they get the urge. That's why we spay or neuter them at a young age" He sighed "Kittens shouldn't be pregnant with kittens"

Yozora nodded "Fluffy won't be like me" Her voice was lower "That's nice"

Gold softened "Let's go get the heavy stuff picked out, and some kitten treats"

The girl perked up "Okay, the sooner we get everything, the sooner poor Fluffy will be free" Yozora frowned "She's probably very thirsty and hungry"

"The vet gave her some water and a bit of food after checking her out" Feeding random animals could sometimes hurt said animal so they'd needed to check first. That and with how small Fluffy was, they'd initially thought that she might still need milk. Thankfully she was just extra small for her age. He went and grabbed a small bag of Kitteh Nutrition and a bag of clumping litter "Choose anything from the Kitteh brand for her treats, just not the wet food" It was a good brand, but wet food was so sugary and bad for the teeth. It was best to avoid it unless one was desperate.

Yozora grabbed some chicken, turkey, and a few seafood flavours "Kaito doesn't have to know?" It didn't look fishy, so it should be fine if it's hidden right?

Saguru snorted "He'll be fine, he just won't touch the stuff" So long as it wasn't easily seen, fish could be in the house. It just couldn't be brought out or eaten near Kaito.

"Why is there no mouse flavour?" Mice were a staple prey for cats right? So why wasn't there a mouse flavour?

The blond grimaced "Probably because it isn't appealing to humans, and removing the meat would be hard"

Yozora's brows furrowed "But humans aren't the ones eating it..." It was so weird.

"I know, it's just how it is" Saguru shrugged, they headed towards the receptionist to pay for both Fluffy's vet bill and all of the cat supplies. Though Saguru did snag a harness and leash on the way by. He knew that Kaito would eventually train the cat to be civilized enough to go outdoors without slaughtering small animals. Saguru wasn't worried about Tsuki though, the old bird would be smart enough to keep herself safe until Fluffy was safe. Tsuki was smarter than the average animal. After paying for everything and getting the name tag engraved, the two of them loaded everything into the car and drove home.

"I'm going ahead to let Fluffy out"

"Wait, I want to set up the litter box and put her in it first" Saguru explained, he really hoped that Fluffy would take to it.

"Oh, okay" Yozora waited near the door with the carrier as Saguru brought in the litter and cat box. It seemed reasonable, Fluffy could wait a little longer.

Saguru hurriedly set the litter box up in the living room before beckoning Yozora over "You can let her out now, just don't let her scratch you" Fluffy was mean, though that could be because the tiny kitten was terrified. They'd have to wait to find out though.

Yozora excitedly unlatched the carrier. Neither one wanted to stick their hands inside it so they propped it on top of an empty box so that Fluffy would be forced to step into the litter box when she left the carrier "I can't wait to snuggle with her..." Fluffy was so soft.

"You might have to wait a while for that" Fluffy didn't seem like the snuggling sort of cat. At least she was small so any damage would hopefully be minimal.

"I will wait" The poor kitten was just scared, once she knew that she wasn't in danger, they'd get along great! It was hard to be nice when you're terrified, it was much easier to lash out.

Chapter 55: Chapter 55 白露 夜空

Notes:

Written May 20 2021
Posted on Wattpad June 14 2021
Posted here September 17 2021

NEXT UPDATE is on October 1 2021

Chapter Text

Saguru smiled as he left for his room with Yozora's new phone, glad that the girl seemed to be really happy. Keeping Fluffy was already turning out to be a great idea, having a comfort animal would really help her. While Tsuki was very affectionate, she was a very old bird. Snuggling with Tsuki while sleeping was too dangerous. She could easily be crushed by whoever was laying beside her. Fluffy would be less likely to be crushed and seemed to have enough attitude in her to attack if such a problem ever arose.

The blond hummed, so on top of locks, he needed to figure out how to install privacy cat doors to their bedroom doors... That way Yozora wouldn't have to choose between Fluffy or privacy. Saguru winced, he had no idea how to install such a thing. It was a job better suited for Kaito. Maybe he'd just buy Yozora a new door and have it customized and have Kaito work on their own door at a later date. Yes, that would work, Yozora would even get to pick the door she wanted and they'd have a spare door.

Since Yozora would surely be occupied by Fluffy, Saguru got to work setting up her phone and activating it. It was a simple task, but he made sure to put in limits where data could only be used a certain amount each day before requiring permission for more. Yozora didn't grow up with a phone so he didn't want her to accidentally have it on all the time.

After setting the phone up and slipping it into it's bright red protective case, he downloaded a few random games that had word puzzles, ones that were just for mindless time-killing, and some that actually had a storyline. That way she'd be able to test out what she might like before having the app store thrown at her with all of it's contents to choose from. Shortcuts to a few dictionaries were also added to the home screen. Phone numbers were also added with names beside them.

With the task done, he headed back downstairs to check on Yozora, finding her waving a string in front of Fluffy "You're phone is ready" Saguru stated offering the shiny red device "The password if Fluffy but you should change it to something that won't be too obvious"

Yozora blinked as she accepted the phone "Thanks, I actually forgot about it" Fluffy took the chance to bolt out of the room "Okay" She looked at the screen in confusion as she turned it on "What is that?" It was a cute animal that looked kinda like a mouse with a fat face.

Saguru smiled "It's a pika, you're able to change the background in the settings whenever you want" He'd chosen a pika because it was a strange but cute animal that the girl had probably never heard of before.

"Oh" She tilted her head "That's a strange name"

The blond nodded "Indeed" He tapped the messaging icon "I put in the names of people that you can contact for help in an emergency by either texting or calling" He paused "You don't know most of them but they're trustworthy" There was also a few taxi numbers and other services just labelled as what company they were.

"I'll remember that" It was interesting to have so many names and places listed in her phone, if a little daunting. It meant that she might meet all the people behind the numbers one day. At least some of them were places and not people.

"I'll send you a link for you to pick out a new bedroom door with" Saguru paused "Do you know how to copy a link?" He knew she had some knowledge of the internet, but it was better to not just assume.

"Yeah, I'll send the link when I pick something out" Yozora eyed her phone "Did something happen to my door?" Surely there hadn't been enough time for him to attempt to put in a lock, right?

Saguru shook his head "No, I just don't know how to install cat doors so I'll just have the door customized" The two of them jumped when his phone went off, frowning, he stepped back a bit and answered his phone "Oh, that's great, thanks" He smiled as he hung up "You legally exist now" "What's my last name?" She was kinda curious since she had no idea what it could be.

The blond scratched his cheek "Well you needed one to exist so Hakuro was chosen, it can be changed though. The main issue was just getting you to exist as soon as possible" So many options were now available now that Yozora had an actual identity to work with.

Yozora hummed "It sounds nice, what does it mean?" Japanese names had so many meanings, it was a bit confusing at times.

"Well..." Saguru's cheeks warmed "They didn't ask what name you wanted so I think they just used one Kaito and I mentioned a few times in passing..." He trailed off before continuing "It uses the Ha Kanji from my name and the Kuro Kanji from Kaito's name, it means white dew" Kaito had come up with it a few years ago.

"Oh" Yozora blushed, now she knew why Saguru had seemed a bit embarrassed "Why did that name come up?" She was curious.

"Kaito and I are both in professions where a name change would just cause confusion... So any children we were to have would have the name Hakuro, a little bit of each of our names" It would also help to separate them from any of their enemies at a first glance.

That sounded so adorable, she'd read something online about couples' names being mixed together to create something new "I don't mind being called Hakuro Yozora" She smiled "My name will be very nature filled" White Dew, Night Sky. Even if she didn't stay here, the name would remind her of nice people. It's meaning was nice too, there wasn't really any nature around where she'd grown up, at least none that she could see or touch.

Chapter 56: Chapter 56 An Eventful Week

Notes:

Written May 26 2021
Posted on Wattpad June 21 2021
Posted here October 1 2021

Chapter Text

The rest of the week had ended up being quite interesting for Yozora, Saguru had basically bought her a whole library, one that was mostly digital with the exception of textbooks. Saguru had told her that being able to flip to the back to check your answers quickly was something to be valued, especially since she'd just need to flip to the pages that she'd marked. On top of the library, they'd also gotten her a bright red bike and some more clothing that felt comfortable to her.

She didn't know what to think about the medium sized pool though. Instead of setting her up with swimming lessons somewhere where there'd be a lot of people, Saguru had just bought a pool since swimming was a vital skill? Or at least not drowning was? Apparently Kaito had somehow managed to damage the last one and they'd just put off replacing it up until now. Yozora really wanted to hear that story, especially if the blond's exasperated look was anything to tell.

They had all been big purchases that'd made Yozora feel uneasy at first, until Saguru had explained that they were just to give her vital skills. It had helped that he'd shown her a picture of Kaito in their old pool as proof that they used to have one. The bike had already been explained, and for the textbooks he'd just needed to show her the tuition costs of actually attending school. The normal books hadn't bothered her much though, since Saguru seemed to have a library of his own.

Yozora had only touched the books so far, mainly because Saguru seemed to be scrambling to complete a lot of paperwork, unable to supervise her with either the bike or pool. It was something she was familiar with, having watched both Kaito and Shinichi do the same thing. Though was there really that much paperwork required for her? It seemed like a bit much since she was just one person.

The girl sighed, playing with her blue skirt nervously, the week had been busy, yes, but today felt the worst. As promised, Saguru had called over his doctor friend to check up on her. Dr.Kusama was tall, and looked a bit older than Saguru, thankfully there was kindness in his navy eyes as the man had smiled at her. He'd stayed in the doorway with a huge rolling suitcase as he greeted and exchanged pleasantries with her before asking her if it was okay for him to come inside. She'd agreed, because what else would she do? Yozora appreciated that he was keeping a good distance between them when he could though.

Nowaki smiled softly as he sat across from Yozora, with Saguru standing near the couch that she was on "Is there anything that I could do to make you feel more comfortable around me?" He inquired softly, knowing that Yozora would probably be nervous no matter what. If he could help ease that nervousness though, that would be great.

"Um..." Yozora shifted "Probably not..."

The doctor nodded in understanding "I'm sorry, if it gets too much I can leave anytime" It wouldn't be ideal, but they had time. He turned towards Saguru "I take it the medical room is all set up for us?"

"Of course" Saguru nodded "Everything you'll need that you haven't brought should be out"

Yozora blinked "Medical room?" She hadn't seen any medical room!

Saguru smiled "With Kaito's unique biology, there's just some things that we don't want done at any hospital"

"Oh..." That made a lot of sense "But couldn't Kaito just heal himself?" He could sense injuries, so he would know how to fix himself.

Nowaki was the one to respond "Normally yes, but he can't fix his stress induced fevers or anything regarding how he lays eggs" Kaito had gotten better with the fevers, but they still sometimes struck "Keeping records also helped us to try and keep his biology more stable before a special potion was made to help prevent more problems from happening" No more vitamin supplements for Kaito, if the potion had worked. His friend had left too soon for them to do any tests.

"He also wasn't always as skilled at healing people as he currently is" Saguru added, Kaito used to always leave scars if the injury was one that would have scarred anyways. Now he only left scars when it'd be suspicious if he didn't, and even then they were more mild than they should be "Plus having the room gives us the excuse to stay here instead of going to the hospital"

"Why is the room hidden?" Yozora tilted her head "I haven't come across it"

"It holds sensitive information and very expensive medical supplies" Saguru replied, though said information was heavily encrypted and hidden away. Gold gleamed "We also didn't want any young children to have easy access to it" Because that would be a nightmare and would be completely devastating if one of their future children died because they weren't careful enough.

"That makes sense..." She'd seen videos of kids doing some really stupid things on the internet. Why would someone eat dirt? It was so strange...

Nowaki smiled "We can head down there whenever you're ready Yozora-chan, I'm free for the whole day" The day was originally going to be spent with his partner, but then Saguru had called. Thankfully Hiro-san was kind, even if he pretended not to be.

Yozora gave Saguru a nervous glance "Can Saguru come too?" Nowaki seemed nice, but he was still a stranger. She didn't want to be left alone with a total stranger, even if said stranger was one of Kaito and Saguru's friends.

Navy softened "Only if you want him too, he can step out at any time you want, that way you can change your mind whenever you want" The girl's unease was completely valid, she was actually a lot more composed than most her age "First we'll do some blood tests, renew your vaccinations, then everything else will follow" He paused "Or be put off until you're ready to continue" Saguru had told him that giving her information and choices was a good way to start on earning her trust.

Chapter 57: Chapter 57 Loaf, Comfort

Notes:

Written June 9 2021
Posted on Wattpad July 5 2021
Posted here October 8 2021

Chapter Text

Yozora felt sick as she curled up in her bed. She'd managed to go through the entirety of the appointment without a single break, but it'd been hard. The doctor had been very gentle and kind, always asking permission and informing her of the reason for each touch. Yozora almost wished that he hadn't been so kind, it would have been easier to deal with that way. At least Saguru's nearby presence had been comforting, even if he'd been looking away for the more intimate parts of the check up.

The girl grimaced as she snuggled her giant fox plushie, she felt horrible, but at least she wasn't pregnant anymore. She could still remember her mother's heartbroken expression when they'd found out that she'd gotten pregnant. Yozora sniffed, hopefully her mom would rest easy knowing that she'd come across people who were both able and willing to help her. She wouldn't end up like her friend Maki.

She'd been in her room for a while now, having fled the moment that everything was done. Thankfully Saguru had just informed her that dinner would be later than normal before leaving some salty crackers and a bottle of water at her door. That'd been really nice of him, she had no appetite at all and would have probably thrown up anything more heavy than that.

A small meow cut through Yozora's thoughts, the girl looked over just in time to see Fluffy coming out from under her bed. She hadn't realized that she'd trapped the kitten in her room with her. Slate watered a bit as she held out her hand and made the clicking sound she'd seen people on the internet use to attract cats "Fluffy" She called softly.

The kitten paused, turning to look at her blankly with her green eyes. Yozora hopefully eyed the kitten, wanting it to come close enough to snuggle. She'd never snuggle with Fluffy before, she really wanted to now.

"Fluffy" Yozora called once more, more softly this time. Fluffy hopped up onto the end of the bed, making Yozora resist the urge to squeal and accidentally scare the kitten off. Fluffy was so close, Yozora could almost reach her now. Instead of coming closer, the black kitten just settled down in a loaf position right on her foot and just out of reach of her fingers. Attempting to reach any further would risk having fluffy leave her completely.

Feeling both annoyed and a bit amused, Yozora used her phone to take a picture. It as the closest thing to snuggling with Fluffy that she'd gotten so far. She spent an unknown amount of time just watching the kitten sleep and going through the internet to distract herself. It had to have been a long time though, because before she knew it, Saguru was gently knocking on her door.

"Do you feel like you're up to eating a proper meal?" Saguru inquired through the door after Yozora answered him.

Yozora thought for a moment before replying "Yeah, I feel mostly better now" She paused "Is dinner ready?"

"It is, but it can also be heated up" Saguru replied "I made a few things like extra cheesy macaroni and some soup" He paused "Both are to be eaten separately, one is for tonight, the other is for tomorrow" The macaroni was more of a comfort food but he wasn't sure if she'd be able to stomach it so he'd made two meals just in case.

The girl perked up, she really liked cheese "Can we have the macaroni tonight?" She reluctantly shifted fluffy off of her foot, dodging a clawed swipe in the process. She walked over to the door and opened it.

Saguru smiled, relieved that Yozora had decided to leave her room "Of course, I'll microwave some of Kaito's fancy hot dogs to go with it"

Yozora cracked a small smile "Fancy hot dogs?" Hot dogs weren't fancy.

The blond nodded "He inspected the family owned company and decided that they were good" Kaito only ate humanely obtained meat.

"I wonder what they'll taste like then" Yozora replied as they headed downstairs. The simple conversation was nice.

"They taste really good, a little expensive, but tasty" They weren't eaten often due to how hot dogs weren't all that healthy, but they were eaten occasionally. They'd probably go bad soon if they didn't eat them anyways.

"Shinichi sometimes picked up hot dogs for us to eat, they were nice"

Saguru hummed "Ones from vendors are usually very tasty, though Kaito was probably eating veggie dogs"

Yozora blinked "Probably..." She hadn't thought about that until Saguru had mentioned it. Her mouth was starting to water at the cheesy smell "It smells good" She breathed as she sat down in her chair. She couldn't see it yet since it was on the stove, but she sure could smell it.

"Thank you, maybe I could teach you how to make it one day" The blond replied as he popped some hot dogs into the microwave before bringing over the casserole dish and putting it on the cutting board that was already on the table "Ten is a good age to learn how to cook a few things" The X-Rays had shown that she was around ten years old so they'd determined that to be her age. Nine had seemed to be too young and eleven would give her one less year before she was an adult. Ten was at least in the double digits, so ten it was.

"I think I'd like that" Yozora admitted as Saguru served out their portions "I saw a lot of cute desserts online"

Gold gleamed "Kaito is better at desserts than me, but I could help you find some cute healthy recipes if you want. Kaito would be ecstatic to share his dessert making skills with you when he wakes up" He let out a small chuckle "He'd pout if I taught you desserts before him"

Yozora could actually see that happening "Okay" She agreed with a small smile "Though maybe you could teach me how to make chocolate cake so I could make it for him?" Kaito had been so nice and understanding, she wanted to show her appreciation.

Saguru's gaze softened "Of course"

Chapter 58: Chapter 58 Tired Day

Notes:

Written June 16 2021
Posted on Wattpad July 12 2021
Posted here October 15 2021

Chapter Text

The next day ended up being somewhat eventful, but not by too much. Saguru had ended up taking Fluffy to the vet to get spayed, so now the kitten wouldn't be around until she was picked up after staying at the vet's overnight. Yozora wasn't too worried about Fluffy, having read that being spayed or neutered was one of the most common surgical procedures that vets did. With so much practice, she was sure that the kitten would be just fine. Hopefully the pain meds would make Fluffy woozy enough to accept cuddles.

So now Yozora was all alone in the house, having declined the offer to go out. Going out was still a bit hard on her and she'd had enough stress this week already. The girl was completely fine with being left alone, both Kaito and Shinichi had been required to do so quite often when she'd been staying with them. Yozora was pretty confident that she wouldn't do something stupid that would end with the house on fire... The internet sometimes made her cringe at others' stupidity.

Since she was alone, the sound of the front door's lock turning caught her attention. It was still too early for Saguru to have returned already, not unless he skipped the errands that he'd mentioned that he'd wanted to get done. Feeling wary, Yozora closed the math book that she'd been working on. Carefully laying it down on the coffee table before hopping behind the couch. Logically she knew that whoever had the key was bound to be safe to be around, however she still felt better hiding. It sounded like whoever had come in was struggling with something.

"Careful..."

Yozora perked up, she knew that voice! She quietly made her way towards the door, peeking into the hallway "Shinichi?" Nowaki was there too, though he had an unconscious Kaito on his back. She couldn't see the magician well but the sleuth looked tired.

Azure blinked "Yozora?" He stumbled a bit with the heavy case he was dragging.

Nowaki offered an apologetic smile "I'm sorry, I thought that you'd be out with Hakuba" He shifted Kaito a bit so that his hold was better "Kudo called me rather unexpectedly to help" He hadn't been aware that he'd be helping with Kaito so soon.

The girl shifted a bit uneasily at seeing the doctor so soon, slate flickering towards Kaito "It probably couldn't have been helped..."

Shinichi noted Yozora's unease "Would you mind going ahead to open their bedroom door? I'm still feeling weak so I'll end up lagging behind Kusama"

"Okay" Yozora was glad to get some distance between her and Nowaki. She didn't hate the doctor, not at all. She was actually rather grateful for his help. It was just too early, she wasn't ready to see the other again so soon. After she completed the request, she hid out in her room for a bit until she was sure that she'd heard the doctor leave. Yozora then made her way towards the main bedroom.

"I'm glad that you seem to be doing okay" Shinichi stated softly as Yozora entered the room. He was sitting in a chair next to the bed. Kaito was laying down under the sheets, looking like he was sleeping. He was tired, and had actually been tempted to just sleep on the bed next to Kaito. It had been hard enough just making it to the room.

Yozora glanced over at Kaito's face curiously "Saguru is really kind, living here has been nice" She then turned towards the sleuth, offering a small smile "You look horrible, but I'm glad that you're okay now" She could see some scars just barely peeking out from the edges of Shinichi's long sleeved shirt. The weather was too hot for long sleeves.

Shinichi snorted out a laugh "I'd probably look worse but those ass holes kept me unconscious to siphon off of Kaito's magic a lot longer than was probably necessary" He was fine with scars, but Kaito's recovery time had been extended because of them.

The girl bit her lip "Do you know when Kaito will wake up?" He didn't seem to be hooked up to anything.

"I have no idea" The sleuth grimaced "His magic was already seriously strained before we even got hurt, so it should be a while" At least Kaito hadn't gotten as injured as him. Shinichi let out a sigh "At least Saguru isn't here so I have some breathing room for now"

Yozora giggled at that "He'll probably fuss over you two" He seemed like the type of person who'd do that.

Shinichi smiled at that "Probably, though I might need his help to be able to leave with how tired I am" He had a few questions for the girl, but was just too tired to go through with them right now.

Slate eyed the sleuth with concern "Maybe you should rest, Saguru isn't due back for a while" Shinichi looked like he could potentially pass out.

"Maybe..." Could he make it to the other side of the bed? He was near the side Kaito was occupying.

"Is Kaito okay to be moved?" She could probably move Kaito if the other was unable to move himself.

Shinichi blinked "Yeah, his magic induced coma isn't hurting him" He was as sturdy as he normally was.

Yozora nodded, crawling up onto the bed before carefully dragging Kaito over. Dragging people was something that she used to do a lot to save them from being punished for staying back "He's lighter than expected"

"The glamour is only hiding his wings, it's not making him a normal weight like it usually does" Shinichi stifled a yawn "Thanks" He got up and half fell into the bed "I'll be fine here"

The girl's gaze softened at how the other had immediately passed out once he'd touched the bed. Yozora got up and left the room, closing the door behind her. Hopefully Shinichi will rest well. At least she'd been able to see for herself that they were alive and okay. She headed back downstairs to continue working on her math work. It was hard, but the patterns were kind of making sense to her.

Chapter 59: Chapter 59 Being Careful

Notes:

Written June 27 2021
Posted on Wattpad July 19 2021
Posted here October 22 2021

NEXT UPDATE is on November 5 2021

Chapter Text

When Saguru returned back home, the blond immediately noted the two extra pairs of shoes near the front door. Both pairs belonged to adult men. Saguru put down the grocery bags that he'd been carrying and looked into the living room, wondering why Yozora would have guests over. When he did look, only Yozora was visible, the girl was working in one of her textbooks "Did someone come over?" Yozora didn't seem to be upset.

The girl smiled as she turned her attention towards him "Your bed is currently occupied"

Gold narrowed in confusion "Okay?..." He was feeling confused.

Slate softened "You go check, I'll put away the groceries for you"

Saguru gave a confused nod "Right... Thanks..." He made his way up the stairs, curious to know just what was going on. At least it couldn't be something bad if Yozora's expression was anything to go by.

When Saguru opened the bedroom door, he froze. Both Kaito and Shinichi were lying together on the bed "Kaito..." Saguru's voice was soft as he made his way over to Kaito's side of the bed. The magician looked like he was only sleeping, he knew better though. A small weight lifted from his chest as he carefully caressed Kaito's cheek before turning his attention towards Shinichi. The sleuth was sleeping, and was probably exhausted. He wouldn't be in that specific bed otherwise.

It was so so tempting to just reach over and wake the sleuth up, to ask questions about their conditions. Saguru bit his lip, the sleuth looked just as exhausted as Kaito did... It wouldn't be right to wake his friend up just yet.

With a somewhat regretful sigh, Saguru pulled out the emergency nutrient drip and all of the required equipment to set it up. They always kept one in their bedroom, just in case something happened and the medical room was just too far away. While Kaito wouldn't need the drip to survive, it would help him to recover a bit more quickly. Due to the nature of Kaito's condition, all nutrients would be put to use, preventing any waste from forming. It was another reason why long hospital stays were dangerous for Kaito, the lack of waste and sanitary maintenance would be suspicious.

He was somewhat grateful that Kaito had been left without the drip, setting it up allowed him to do something for the other. It was a simple task, but one that made him feel a bit better all the same. When Saguru finished, he briefly contemplated hooking the sleuth up to a temporary drip before doing just that. It wouldn't harm the other, and Shinichi certainly looked like he needed the nutrients. The two of them looked like they'd lost a fair amount of weight.

Now that both Kaito and Shinichi were taken care of, Saguru realized that there was nothing else that he could do for them besides wait. Well... He could make an extra nutritious meal for when the sleuth woke up, unless said sleuth couldn't stomach solid food just yet. Maybe he'd wait on that meal for now. Despite wanting to stay and watch over them, Saguru forced himself to head back downstairs. Maybe Yozora would know something.

"I'm surprised that you came back down so soon" Yozora stated when she caught sight of the blond. She'd finished putting the groceries away and had gone on her phone instead of getting back to her textbook.

"I've done what I could for them" Saguru sighed, settling down on the couch opposite to Yozora "How did they even get in there? Shinichi couldn't have carried Kaito" The sleuth looked much too weak to be capable of such a feat.

Yozora frowned a bit "Kusama-san carried Kaito, Shinichi followed then passed out" It felt easier to call the doctor that instead of Dr. Kusama.

Gold softened with concern "Are you okay?" So that was why they'd just been left like that, Nowaki must have wanted to leave as soon as he could for Yozora's sake.

The girl gave a small nod "I mostly hid in my room until he was gone, then talked to Shinichi a bit before he passed out" She'd barely even seen the doctor "He was really exhausted, so the talk wasn't that long or important"

"I think we should let him sleep until dinner time, then force some food into him if possible" Saguru stated.

"I agree" Yozora paused "How was Fluffy?" The poor kitten was still stuck at the vet until tomorrow.

Saguru smiled "Apparently very mean to the vets until they sedated her"

The girl giggled, yeah, she could see that happening "At least she's small and easier to restrain than an adult cat.

"Maybe" Kittens could be unpredictable, in the weirdest of ways. The two talked for a bit before separating to do their own things. By the time for eating dinner came around, Saguru had made lots of steamed vegetable rice to go along with the leftover soup. Now all that there was left to do was for one of them to wake Shinichi up and drag the other down to the table for a meal.

"I'll set the plates while you get Shinichi" Yozora offered, knowing that she wouldn't be able to lift the other if that kind of help was required.

"Thanks" Saguru jogged up the stairs to fetch the sleuth. When he reentered his bedroom, he was surprised to see that Shinichi was somewhat awake. The sleuth was just laying down with half lidded eyes "Are you up for a meal?" Saguru inquired, noting that Shinichi hadn't removed his own drip.

Azure blinked "If you help me get to it I am" He sounded so tired.

"Of course" Saguru was mildly concerned that the other was asking for assistance so readily "It's the least I could do" He helped the other get up from the bed after removing the drip, allowing himself to be leaned against as he helped Shinichi down the stairs. Carrying him would have been a lot faster, but Saguru knew that the other's pride was probably already hurting quite a bit.

"I hope you like it Shinichi, I helped with cutting some of the vegetables" Yozora smiled as the sleuth sat down.

Chapter 60: Chapter 60

Notes:

Written July 6 2021
Posted on Wattpad August 2 2021
Posted here November 5 2021

Chapter Text

Azure blinked before softening "I'm sure it'll taste great" He was very glad that Yozora seemed to be quite comfortable around Saguru "Thanks" He eyed the soup and rice, he hadn't been warned off of solid foods so eating should be fine.

"How do you feel Shinichi" Saguru inquired, the sleuth's movements were slow, but he at least seemed to be well coordinated. Yozora perked up, she hadn't talked much with the sleuth before he'd ended up passing out.

"I want to sleep and never wake up" Shinichi sighed "I feel so tired and wrung out" Even eating was taking a lot out of him.

Yozora's brows furrowed with concern "You slept for quite a while though" Was there more to Shinichi's exhaustion than just being tired?

Shinichi nodded "Kusama said that there's nothing that can be done for me besides resting and taking in nutrients" Not unless he wanted to prolong Kaito's own recovery that is "We think that I'm suffering from some sort of magic strain due to having magic pumped through my system for so long"

"I'll see if I can have Koizumi-chan to come over and check you out then" Saguru stated, knowing that the red witch would know better than any of them "It sounds strange, but I doubt that humans are supposed to have magic affecting them for too long" Especially healing magic, that sort of magic truly interacted with the physical body.

"Wait" Yozora was confused "Is Kaito not actually human then? I thought that he was just changed a bit to be a bit extra"

The sleuth visibly grimaced at the question "The DNA is his feathers never registered as anything remotely human" None of them really liked to think about it, it was strange. Kaito was Kaito and that was what really mattered. Shinichi looked away a bit guiltily "I helped with acquiring a potion to help Kaito's biology settle" It hadn't been properly stable and had required extra supplements to remain stable. He seemed to shrink in on himself as he continued to speak "I neglected to say anything before, but the potion stabilized Kaito by changing his DNA to match that of his feathers" Having two conflicting DNA strands belonging to the same person... It was ludicrous but magic had made it a reality.

Saguru was silent for a few moments as he took in the information "Kaito is going to be upset when he finds out" He sighed, pinching his brow "But him being healthier is not something that I'd oppose to"

"So Kaito was human, became slightly less human, but now isn't human anymore" Yozora concluded "He didn't seem any less human to me than anyone else, so it should be fine?"

Shinichi nodded, feeling a bit guilty but not regretting the help that he'd given "Right, it's built in with a glamour to make machines register his DNA as human" He paused for a moment "He can't donate blood or anything but Koizumi assured me that Kaito would still be compatible when receiving human DNA" More like his new species was but he didn't want to say it like that. Shinichi hesitated for a few moments, cheeks tinting "Please use protection when Kaito wakes up, without his conflicting DNA, Kaito's body will function as it should" It wasn't dinner conversation but it was very important "He might be weak like I am when he wakes"

Yozora made a curious sound in the back of her throat "I think Kaito will quickly get over not being human when he hears that" Children were something that Kaito really wanted.

Stuck between a mixture of embarrassment and excitement, Saguru coughed into his fist "I'll make sure to keep that in mind" How else was he supposed to respond to that?

"It also might be why he managed to keep his magic up enough to save us" Shinichi added with a grimace "I would be dead if not for him" He unconsciously touched where he'd been run through by the metal bar "My injuries were too severe" The sleuth couldn't help grimacing at the memory "Changing what Kaito was has definitely improved his magical abilities" Kaito never healed anyone while he was unconscious before, the closest had been when Kaito had been on the brink of passing out. Until now that is.

Saguru hummed "Hopefully Kaito won't pass out as much from working at the hospital" He wasn't stupid, Kaito would always push his limits when it came to helping people. He just hoped that it wouldn't result in Kaito passing out as much. Getting him to stop all together would be impossible.

Yozora winced, she could see that happening. Kaito was just too nice "Maybe he'll be more careful if you tell him to care for himself so that he has time to care for his future kids?"

Azure lit up in contemplation "That could work, Kaito wants to raise kids, not just have them and be done with them" Kaito wouldn't be able to actually raise them if he was too tired to even do anything.

The blond buried his face in his hands, resting his elbows on the table "Why didn't I think of that? I could have claimed it to be practice for the future"

Yozora offered a small smile "I guess it's better late than never?" It was sweet watching the two worry about Kaito. The three chatted for a bit as they finished their meals, or at least Shinichi finished most of his meal before becoming too full to eat anymore.

With great reluctance, Shinichi was aware that he probably wouldn't be able to leave the kitchen without any help "Do you think you could help me to one of the rooms upstairs?" While eating had given him some more energy, he was starting to feel tired again.

Gold eyed the sleuth sympathetically "I readied a room for you next to one of the bathrooms" He'd been expecting the request "You're staying here instead of going home until you're able to leave on your own" He added.

Shinichi frowned but didn't argue, he couldn't really move much "Thanks"

The girl stifled a small giggle as Saguru helped Shinichi leave the kitchen. Yozora liked the interactions between the few people that she trusted. It made things feel more secure.

Chapter 61: Chapter 61 Fearful Morning

Notes:

Written July 11 2021
Posted on Wattpad August 9 2021
Posted here November 12 2021

Chapter Text

Saguru left early the next morning to pick up Fluffy from the vet, not wanting the kitten to be locked up in a cage any longer than she had to be. So that left Yozora basically alone in the house. Technically Shinichi was there, but the sleuth had gone back to bed after eating breakfast. He'd seemed a little better than the previous day, but not by much. Yozora had pretended to not notice the other struggling to just get to the washroom by himself, allowing the sleuth to keep some of his pride intact.

With a sigh, Yozora flipped to the back of her math textbook to check her answers, erasing the ones she'd gotten wrong before attempting them again. It was a pain, the textbook didn't show the steps so it was trial and error for her to find the exact spot where she'd gone wrong with the equations.

Yozora paused in her work, movement outside the window catching her attention. The girl tensed, quickly pulling the curtains closed. There was a pudgy man dressed in nice clothes scaling the fence, or at least trying to scale the fence. Why was someone climbing the fence? Surely if they were a friend, they'd just go to the front door right? Yozora peeked behind the curtain, just in time to see the pudgy man fall flat on his face, but on this side of the fence. Alarmed, Yozora snapped a picture before running upstairs to wake Shinichi.

Shinichi woke with a start at the sensation of being shook "Yozora?!" It wasn't like the other to wake him up rudely.

"There's a man who just climbed the fence" Yozora's words were quick, looking scared as she spoke. She fumbled with her phone a bit before showing the picture that she'd taken.

The sleuth immediately sat up, anger pushing away his tiredness "That bastard" It was that snobby inspector! "Stay in your room, I'll call the police" Minichiro was trespassing, which was illegal. If his dislike for the pudgy man had been mild before, now it was raging strong. The pompous know it all had scared Yozora in the one place that she was supposed to feel safe at!

Yozora nodded before running to her room, closing the door with a little more force than necessary.

Shinichi quickly called Sato and then Saguru before making his way out of the room, anger fuelling his actions. He was not going to let that man enter the house and potentially terrorize Yozora. Thankfully the windows were sturdier than most and the door was locked. That didn't mean that he shouldn't be cautious just in case. He was half tempted to copy one of Kaito's pranks just to get back at the guy!

Somehow managing to make his way down the stairs, Shinichi glared at the door, just as the doorbell started to ring repeatedly in an obnoxious manner. What an ass, Minichiro hadn't even given any time for him to respond to the first ring before spanning the button. The sleuth scowled, pressing the doorbell's off switch that Kaito had installed allowing the ringing to cut short.

He ignored the shouting that started up once the doorbell was no longer an option. He wasn't going to open the door, the idiot might just push past him to do whatever he was up to. The door was also extra sturdy so breaking it down would be near impossible. Shinichi just needed to wait until Minichiro was dragged off in cuffs, and if the pudgy man did somehow manage to get through the door, then he'd just have to stop him himself.

Eventually he heard a scream and then Sato angrily scolding Minichiro. Sato had a gate key, but not a key to the house. Shinichi let out a relieved sigh, legs wobbling as he sank down to the floor.

"Kudo-kun?" Sato called through the door.

"Just a moment!" He really doubted that he'd be able to get up, so he texted Yozora to tell her that it was safe, and to ask if she could unlock the door for him.

Yozora quickly appeared, peering cautiously around the corner before unlocking the door and hiding back around the corner again "Are you okay?" Yozora worriedly asked. Shinichi wasn't even that far from the door...

Shinichi nodded "Yeah, just went past my limits" He admitted before turning his head towards the door "You can come in Sato-san" He called a bit louder before lowering his voice and glancing back at Yozora "She's a trustworthy coworker of mine, but you can leave if you're uncomfortable"

Sato entered, the woman looked disgruntled "I would say it's nice to see you again Kudo-kun, but the situation is rather unpleasant" She didn't bother questioning why Shinichi was on the floor "Hopefully that guy will be sacked after that stunt he just pulled, he wanted to collect evidence on both you and Hakuba-kun for falsifying records"

The sleuth clicked his tongue "The idiot" Without the anger, he was starting to feel a bit lightheaded.

Suddenly catching sight of Yozora, Sato smiled "Hello, who are you?" She didn't recognize the little girl.

Yozora hid a bit more, feeling shy "I'm Yozora" This woman was apparently trustworthy, so she should greet her. Getting to know those close to Shinichi and Saguru was important for the future.

"Saguru and Kaito are going to be fostering her" Shinichi added, having seen the paperwork before returning Kaito back home.

Sato's eyes softened "They must be ecstatic, maybe everyone could throw a party"

Shinichi winced "Yozora was in a bad situation so she's not good with crowds, or strangers really"

"Then we'll just send some gifts and have the party when she's ready" Sato stated with a smile "We've waited years, so waiting a bit longer is fine" Everyone at the station knew that Saguru and Kaito had been wanting to start a family, even if the weird biology stuff confused most of them "Please take care of our troublemakers Yozora-chan" Sato turned towards Shinichi "Are you up to giving your statement now or over text?"

The sleuth sighed "I can do it now if you help me get back upstairs" He reluctantly replied, he couldn't just sit in the hallway until Saguru got back.

Chapter 62: Chapter 62

Notes:

Written July 23 2021
Posted on Wattpad August 16 2021
Posted here November 19 2021

NEXT UPDATE is on December 3 2021

Chapter Text

Saguru was concerned as he arrived back at his house, he'd hurried back as fast as he could once he'd gotten the call from Shinichi. Thankfully he'd been close to the vets so it was just a matter of picking up Fluffy and returning home with her. The poor kitten seemed really out of it, that was good. Maybe Yozora would be able to actually cuddle Fluffy, the girl was sure to be at least frazzled. When the blond checked the living room, it was empty. So he brought the cat carrier containing fluffy up the stairs with him before knocking on Yozora's door.

"You can come in" Yozora called, knowing that it was either Shinichi or Saguru.

The blond opened the door, relieved to see Yozora laying on her bed, doing something on her phone "Are you okay?" Saguru inquired as he walked over to put the carrier onto Yozora's bed and opened it. The action immediately caught the girl's attention.

"Yeah, I was just startled" She was feeling a lot better now that it was over "She's so dopey" Yozora cooed, smiling as Fluffy stumbled her way out of the cat carrier. It was obvious that the kitten was very disorientated.

Gold softened "I figured that there was a good chance of actually getting to snuggle with her" The kitten was less likely to try and scratch them while she was like this "Just be gentle with her, she was cut open yesterday" They didn't need to schedule another vet appointment so soon.

Yozora nodded, slate focused on the kitten as she cautiously nudged the kitten onto her lap "She's on my lap!" She squeaked, gently scratching around Fluffy's right ear.

Saguru smiled "Have fun, I'm going to check on both Shinichi and Kaito" The sleuth really shouldn't have gotten down the stairs on his own.

"Okay" Yozora replied absentmindedly, attention mainly focused on Fluffy.

The blond left Yozora's room and headed to Shinichi's temporary room, not bothering to knock before entering. If Shinichi was sleeping, he didn't want to wake him up. The sleuth needed as much rest as he could possibly get. When he entered, he was surprised to note that Shinichi was actually awake "Do you want me to bring in some books for you to read?" Saguru inquired, just laying in bed must be quite boring.

"No, I'll end up trying to stay awake in order to read them" Shinichi sighed, it was a bad habit of his. It was also a habit that he wasn't willing to get rid of. He grimaced "Minichiro-Keibu isn't going to be a keibu for much longer" He deadpanned.

Saguru stifled a small laugh "That's a relief, I can't believe he lasted as one for so long" The guy was both annoying and bad at his job. It was always good to know that there was one less bad cop in the force. The bad ones made things so much harder for the actually decent ones.

Azure narrowed "He was probably doing the exact same thing that he was accusing us of doing" Falsifying records and using his family name to get what he wanted "It would make more sense if he did. Thankfully his actions today were inexcusable and not something that could be easily covered up" Sato would make sure to spread the story around the department before any actions were attempted to cover it up. Police gossip could spread fast.

"You do know that everyone will know that you're back right?" And unwell to boot.

Shinichi let out a sigh "Yeah, but few of them have a key to your house" Many people had the key to his own house, so he was less likely to be pestered in his friends' house "I have no problem with seeing anyone, I just don't want anyone barging in while I'm resting"

"Yeah, I'll make sure that everyone knows that you're resting right now" Saguru promised, rest was the best thing for Shinichi right now.

"Thanks, the last thing I need is either Heiji or Ran popping up to pester me" He appreciated his friends, but he was planning to spend most of his time sleeping. He wanted to recover as quickly as possible. That way he'd be able to fully take care of himself again.

"Well if you don't need anything, I think that I'll go check up on Kaito now"

"I'm good"

"Right" Saguru gave a small nod before heading towards his own room that he shared with Kaito. He couldn't help but smile when he entered, Tsuki was nestled up and sleeping on top of Kaito's chest. The window was open so the dove must have entered through there.

Having Kaito here made him both happy and sad. It was great that he wouldn't need to worry about the other's safety anymore, but it also made him feel lonely to have Kaito so near but unable to respond to him. He checked the vitals and the nutrient IV before just laying next to the other, reaching over to give the sleeping dove a few good scritches. Tsuki sleepily raised her head, cooing a soft greeting before going back to sleep.

"Please wake up soon, you're missing a lot" He breathed softly. Kaito was bound to be upset if he ended up missing important things in Yozora's new life... Maybe he should ask Akako if there's any sort of potion or spell that could be used to make Kaito wake up quicker. It would just accelerate the process so the cost for such a thing shouldn't be too bad. It would probably be worth it in order to interact with Kaito sooner.

He really couldn't wait to see Kaito's reaction to having Yozora live with them. The magician was sure to be beaming and just completely thrilled when he found out. With obtaining Fluffy, he was confident that Yozora would accept the offer to be adopted when they eventually proposed it. Yozora was a good and smart kid, he'd grown fond of her and hopefully she'd grow fond of him with time. It was completely understandable to him if such a thing took a lot of time to achieve, he just hoped that it would happen, eventually.

Chapter 63: Chapter 63 Debt

Notes:

Written July 31 2021
Posted on Wattpad August 23 2021
Posted here December 3 2021

Chapter Text

Two more weeks passed, and in that time, quite a few things ended up happening. Shinichi had left for his own house, having regained enough strength for him to be able to live by himself again. Fluffy had also grown slightly more friendly towards Yozora, only slightly though, the kitten was still mean most of the time. Saguru had encouraged this by having Yozora be the only one to give Fluffy any sort of treats, he had gotten the kitten for Yozora after all. It wouldn't do for said kitten to grow attached to someone else instead. Both things were nice, but the most important thing that'd happened was Saguru contacting Akako about Kaito.

Surprisingly, the red witch did know of a way to get Kaito to wake up faster. Thankfully said solution wouldn't require anything heinous as payment. They just needed to offer up an equal amount of vitality- the kind that didn't shorten anyone's lifespan. Saguru, Shinichi, Akako, Aoko, and Yozora had decided to offer up as much as was safe to give. That had allowed a good base, allowing the rest of the vitality to be sourced from plants.

Unfortunately, unlike with humans, plants couldn't survive the process so their lawn was dead, and the neighbouring properties weren't looking too good either. Less life was taken from each individual neighbour's property, but that just meant that more properties had ended up being affected. Though they did ward off the vitality draining effects from the property of the lady who sold flowers for a living. Destroying her livelihood wouldn't have been right.

The preparation of such magic had awed Yozora, magic was just so cool! Sure she'd seen Kaito heal himself and show her his wings, but the preparation of spells made it look even more special. The girl had also decided that she kinda liked the witch, Akako was calm and collected.

"I've completed the ritual outline" Akako stated, eyeing the magic circles that covered almost the entirety of the back yard. They would be invisible to the human eye until they were activated, as they were, they were just storing the collected vitality.

"So now all Saguru needs to do is bring Kaito out here?" Yozora inquired softly, amazed that nobody outside the property would realize that magic was afoot. She really wanted to know magic! Sadly Akako had informed her that she had zero affinity for it, just like how it was with most people.

"Yup! Then Akako can help Kaito wake up!"

Yozora glanced at the one who'd spoken. Her name was Nakamori Aoko, the woman who was present in a lot of the photos on the walls. She was okay with Aoko, but preferred the woman's cool partner. Yozora had warmed up to her a bit after being shown tons of pictures of Kaito from when he was her own age. Kaito had been a cute child, and one that'd apparently gotten into countless crazy situations. The fact that both Aoko and Akako were female had made getting somewhat used to them a little easier.

"I'll go grab him then" Saguru hurried off into the house, eager to have Kaito awake again.

Shinichi, who'd just been hanging around after offering up his energy, eyed the yard curiously "Is transferring energy really that complicated?" He inquired.

Akako smiled, scarlet eyes glinting "Somewhat, but I have two rituals actually set up. Lucifer told me that ow was a good time to cash in his debt"

Azure narrowed "Debt?..." Shinichi suddenly frowned "Won't that exhaust him?"

"Well first he'll be practically buzzing with energy, then he'll be weak but lucid after the second ritual"

Aoko blinked "But you said..."

Akako cut Aoko off by placing a finger against Aoko's lips "Yes, the timing is good" Aoko looked excited, as if she was restraining herself from squealing.

Yozora was confused "Debt?"

"I'll collect some of his magical essence as payment for helping Kaito pursue a path in the medical field by changing how his magic worked just a little" The red witch explained "I've been informed that now would be the ideal time, your presence should quell the sadness of him not having a child yet" Aoko and herself had been waiting for Kaito to have a child first before starting their own family.

"Oh..." She didn't really understand but Shinichi didn't seem too alarmed so it was probably the truth.

"So I just need to place him in the middle?" Saguru inquired as he reappeared with Kaito in his arms.

Akako nodded "Yes, then all of you should back away as I activate the ritual" She didn't want one of them to accidentally absorb some of the collected vitality.

"Right" Saguru quickly did as instructed.

The witch gave one last glance to the magic circles before activating them. Intricate glowing red lines immediately came into view, pulsing a steady rhythm as the light seemed to flow inwards to the center, to Kaito. Kaito himself was glowing, but it was with a white glow instead of red. The sight was almost too bright to see before the glowing seemed to cut off abruptly.

Kaito swiftly hopped to his feet, black wings spread out. The magician looked very confused as he looked around, body practically vibrating with energy.

"Lay back down, I need to collect from you" Akako stated.

Still looking very confused, Kaito obeyed. Probably because he was too confused to even think of doing anything else. The witch let out an amused huff "Don't be alarmed, it's expected that it'll be painful for him but he won't truly be harmed" The moment Kaito Laid down, a different set of magic circles came into view, though this time they were alight with white light and just the faintest traces of Akako's red magic"

Yozora felt herself be pulled away, she glanced up at Aoko confused before Kaito's screaming made itself heard. She eagerly followed after the other into the house, not wanting to hear Kaito's screams "Thanks..." The house must have been recently spelled, she couldn't hear any screaming once the door had closed behind them.

"Kaito will be fine, it's just hard to hear him like that" Aoko replied softly. She was glad that her friend had seemed half out of it at the start. 

Chapter 64: Chapter 64 Back

Notes:

Written August 5 2021
Posted on Wattpad September 6 2021
Posted here December 10 2021

Chapter Text

Thankfully the ritual was a quick one when the previous preparation it required was taken out of the equation. Even so, Saguru couldn't stop himself from running over once the glowing had stopped "Kaito?" Saguru inquired softly, feeling very concerned as he knelt down next to the other. The magician was conscious despite how Kaito's eyes were squeezed shut.

Hearing Saguru's voice was a bit jarring. Just how long had it been since the last time they'd spoken? He felt awful, he was also confused. Kaito forced himself to open his eyes to see that yes, Saguru was here, the blond was actually leaning over him "Missed you" Kaito tried to get up, but he didn't seem to have the energy to do it. Why did he feel so wrung out? And why was he near Saguru? He'd been with Shinichi on that mission.

Gold softened as a warm smile bloomed on Saguru's face "I missed you too" Kaito was finally awake, or at least he was for now "You should sleep, you look tired" Kaito was visibly failing to fight off sleep. He could wait a little longer, Kaito would wake up again today.

Kaito just let out a small hum, too tired to try to think up a proper verbal response. It was too hard for him to fight off the sleepiness.

"Well that went well" Akako stated, smiling as she examined the glowing jar in her hands. It's glow was a soft white, matching the colour that the magic circles had glowed. She glanced over at Saguru who'd already picked the sleeping Kaito back up "The process was straining, so he'll be tired and sore for the next few days. All you need to do is stop him from actively using his magic and he'll recover quickly"

"I would have appreciated it if I was given a warning beforehand" Saguru sighed, too happy that Kaito was properly back with him to actually get angry at her.

"He would have been worse off if I did the rituals separately, this way he'll bounce back quicker" Akako easily replied. Holding Kaito's magical essence felt nice, it was soft and warm. Comforting.

Gold narrowed a bit but Saguru didn't argue, Kaito had awakened faster than initially expected because of her "Thank you for your assistance"

"I'm going to go home now that it's over" Shinichi stated, glad that the ritual had worked.

Saguru nodded to the sleuth "I appreciate your help as well, have a great day" He then hurried into the house and up the stairs. Kaito was moving a bit in his sleep, a stark contrast to where he'd been completely still besides the rising and falling of his chest. After laying Kaito back down in bed, Saguru was tempted to stay. He didn't though, instead heading downstairs in favour of checking on Yozora. Aoko had brought the girl inside. The blond found the two of them in the living room, Aoko was showing Yozora something on her phone. It was probably another funny picture of Kaito.

"Is Kaito alright?" Yozora asked the moment she spotted Saguru. The screaming had sounded very painful.

"He fell back asleep but he'll wake up again later today" Saguru replied with a smile.

Aoko smiled "I'm glad, seeing Kaito so still is weird" She would never be able to get used to such a sight, she didn't want to either "Though it was a good opportunity to come and meet Yozora-chan" The girl was adorable and her past was very upsetting. She was glad that showing Yozora funny pictures of Kaito had helped to get the girl somewhat comfortable around her.

"Can you teach me how to make a chocolate cake?" Yozora's cheeks were tinted as she asked Saguru the question. Kaito liked chocolate, so she wanted to make him a cake. She was also a bit curious as to what fresh chocolate cake tasted like.

Saguru blinked before nodding "That sounds like a good idea" It would be a great way to pass the time until Kaito was awake again. That way he wouldn't be all antsy as he waited.

"Akako and I need to leave soon in order to catch our movie" Aoko knew that Akako would want to return home first before heading out again.

"I hope you enjoy your date" Saguru offered, the two deserved to have a nice night out together after helping so much.

"Thanks!" Aoko offered Yozora a small wave "By Yozora-chan, I hope to see you again soon" Aoko then hurried off to locate her partner.

Yozora raised her hand in an awkward goodbye "Um..." She turned towards Saguru "Are we going to make the cake now or later?" She didn't know much about baking, so she didn't know how much time they'd need.

"Now should be good, that way we can put icing on it in time when it cools down" Kaito would still eat the cake without icing, but Saguru knew that Kaito would enjoy the cake more if they added on the icing.

The girl perked up "Okay, I'll go change into less nice clothes" She really liked her current outfit. Her black skirt and red shirt really looked nice together, they also felt super soft.

"Right" While Yozora went and got changed, Saguru went into the kitchen. He might as well take out all the dishes that they'll need. Kaito was usually the one to do the baking, so it'd been a while since he'd made a cake from scratch. Thankfully Kaito's recipe book would help him. The magician had already memorized it's contents so the physical copy was more for Saguru's own benefit.

The blond looked through the book for a bit, there were many different types of chocolate cake that Kaito had noted down. He skipped over the more complicated looking ones and chose the simplest recipe for chocolate cake. Yozora was a beginner so doing an easy cake would be best. Kaito would love the cake either way, but a successful one would be more fun to make. Kaito could teach her how to make the more fancy ones himself. Saguru double checked the ingredient list to make sure that they had everything that they would need, thankfully there wasn't anything missing.

Chapter 65: Chapter 65 Cake

Notes:

Written August 12 2021
Posted on Wattpad September 13 2021
Posted here December 17 2021

Chapter Text

Yozora had come to the conclusion that baking was nice, it was a lot easier than cooking. At least to her it was. The measuring and mixing was simple, and all they'd needed to do was put it in the oven once the batter was done. So long as they remembered to rotate the cake halfway through it's cooking time, it shouldn't burn. The chocolate cake had smelled delicious as it cooked, the girl could only hope that it tasted as good as it smelt.

Now that the cake had cooled down, it's smell wasn't as strong, but it looked all soft and fluffy in the pan "How do I get it out of the pan?" She inquired, it wasn't like she could just scoop pieces out.

"Run a butter knife around the edges to loosen it, then quickly flip it over and tap the pan" Saguru offered, it wasn't really a strong suit of his since Kaito did most of the baking.

"Okay" Slate narrowed with focus as she did exactly what Saguru told her to do. Yozora frowned, feeling disappointed when she lifted the pan to see that the cake had come out in two halves "I broke the cake..."

Saguru just smiled "That's okay, we can just glue it back together with icing" It's what he always did whenever he messed up "Kaito really likes icing so it's completely fine"

Yozora nodded, feeling relieved "That's good" She was glad that she hadn't ruined the cake.

"Kaito sometimes intentionally breaks the cake in order to justify putting extra icing onto it" Saguru added, he was in a great mood and really hoped that Kaito would be able to eat the cake... Even if he wasn't maybe he'd allow the magician just this once to eat something that he shouldn't.

The girl giggled at the information "Are we using chocolate icing as well?"

Saguru hummed in thought "Maybe vanilla, to make it different" Chocolate on chocolate was something that Kaito ate a lot, so using vanilla icing would be a nice change. He felt the cake, checking it's temperature "It should be cool enough to apply the icing on" They'd waited a decent amount of time and it was a somewhat cool day. They'd made a single layered cake to prevent the magician from trying to eat too much of it.

"Since Kaito likes to break the cake, should we break it a bit more?" Yozora inquired, eyeing the cake.

The blond shook his head "No, the cake is already unhealthy enough as it is" They should have made plans for a nice healthy supper instead. Yozora had asked to make a cake though, so they were making a cake. He grabbed a container of french vanilla icing and put it onto the counter next to the cake "Do you want to do it?"

"Yeah, it seems fun" She was going to use as much icing as possible! That way it would be extra delicious.

Gold softened "Have fun, I'm going to air out the house to prevent Kaito from trying to find the cake as soon as he wakes up" The house smelt like chocolate cake, it was a nice smell. Unfortunately it would ruin the surprise if Kaito awoke to such a smell lingering around. He left to open all the windows.

Yozora grabbed the butter knife that she'd used to free the cake from the pan, she then opened the icing and started to glue the cake back together. It turned out to be an easier task than she'd expected so she was able to start actually coating the top and sides with a thick layer of icing.

When Saguru eventually came back later to check on her, he paused. The container of icing was empty and the small single layered cake looked quite a bit taller and wider than it should. It would be nauseatingly sugary. Kaito would love it "It looks nice" Saguru stated truthfully, the sides and top were almost perfectly smooth. The overabundance of icing must have made the task easier.

The girl smiled, feeling proud of her work "I really hope that he'll like it"

"Oh he'll love it" Saguru assured. He'd be having a very small slice of it himself. Normally he wouldn't, but he didn't want to hurt Yozora's feelings. He checked the time "We should put the cake in the fridge, then figure out what dinner will be" It would need to be nutritious, high protein. Fish would work if it weren't Kaito. He turned towards Yozora "What do you think about having spaghetti?"

Yozora frowned "There's a vegetarian version?"

Saguru shook his head "There is but I want Kaito to get the nutrients from actual meat, thankfully we should have some frozen beef in the freezer" At the girl's confused look he continued "We got it from a farm that ethically raises their animals so Kaito's fine with eating it"

"I'm curious about what unethically raised animals means but I also don't want to know" She wanted to try a lot more foods.

"You don't want to know, just enjoy the food that you eat" The blond offered, he'll always regret how he'd turned the magician off of most meat products "Kaito likes meat but he'd feel guilty eating most of it due to the knowledge that he has" Saguru checked the freezer and pulled out the frozen beef that he'd been talking about. It was nearing their normal dinnertime, so it wouldn't be too bad if they had to wake Kaito up to eat...

"I can prepare dinner on my own if you want to go and do something else" Saguru offered, that way Yozora wouldn't feel obligated to stay and help "The longer preparation time should give Kaito more time to sleep" He was in no hurry to get dinner made. Their lunch had been a bit late so he wasn't too hungry yet.

"I'll go play with fluffy then" The kitten didn't really have any of the calming drugs in her anymore, so attempting to snuggle wasn't an option just yet. It would be one day, just not now.

Saguru smiled "Alright, have fun" Once Yozora was gone, he started to work on getting dinner prepared.

Chapter 66: Chapter 66 Animals are Cute

Notes:

Written August 22 2021
Posted on Wattpad September 20 2021
Posted here December 24 2021

NEXT UPDATE is on January 7 2022

Chapter Text

Waking up was a slow thing for Kaito, with no sense of danger, his awareness came back in bits and pieces until his head was mostly clear. The magician sat up, grimacing at how wrung out he felt. Kaito remembered waking up briefly in his backyard before passing out. His good phone was on the nightstand beside him, so he unplugged it then checked the date. Kaito grimaced, it'd been weeks since he'd last been awake- properly that is.

Kaito remembered seeing Shinichi in the background, his main focus had been on Saguru, but he remembered the sleuth being there too. The magician let out a relieved breath, he'd succeeded in saving his friend, and now he was back home.

A familiar cooing made a smile bloom across Kaito's face as he held his arm out just in time for Tsuki to perch on him. The old dove walked along his arm, resting at his shoulder in order to nuzzle his cheek "Tsuki!" Adoration coated the word as he carefully rubbed his face to return the snuggle. He'd missed his beloved bird.

While he was playing and showering Tsuki with affection, a small meow made Kaito turn his attention towards the door. There was a tiny kitten in the doorway! A small giggle escaped Kaito, Saguru had actually gotten a cat like he'd joked about. The kitten's fur looked so sleek and silky, he wanted to pet it!

Getting up from the bed was a bit difficult, but he managed, only stumbling once. Tsuki just flapped her wings for balance, remaining perched on his shoulder "Hi kitty" Kaito cooed, voice soft as he slowly inched his way over towards the kitten. Thankfully the kitten just seemed to narrow her eyes a bit instead of running away "You're so pretty" Kaito cooed as he knelt down and reached a hand out. The kitten's green eyes flashed with something dangerous before she struck. Kaito yelped, quickly tugging his bleeding hand to his chest "A pretty mean kitty" He corrected, pouting as the cuts closed. Kitten claws were deceptively sharp "I will befriend you" Kaito promised before standing back up, he needed to wash his hand.

After cleaning his hand in the washroom, Kaito frowned at it. The kitten's claws had left scars, it'd been a while since he'd unintentionally left scars after healing something. Now he had claw marks that ran across the whole back of his hand

"Oh you're awake"

Kaito turned around, confusion covering his face as he spotted Yozora "Not that I'm not happy to see you, but how are you in Japan?" The girl looked more relaxed than normal "I wasn't conscious and I doubt that Shinichi was conscious enough to bring you here" Without them awake to say anything, he'd thought that the authorities would place her somewhere.

Yozora smiled "Saguru came and got me then brought me here" She was glad that Kaito just seemed understandably confused rather than upset to have her in his house.

Indigos lit up "Okay" If Saguru brought her here, there was a good chance that they might get to keep her! He paused, tapping near his right eye "Please tell me that Saguru was the one to replace my eye"

The girl gave him a weird look "You had two eyes when Shinichi brought you here" Why was Kaito asking about that of all things?

Kaito grimaced, deflating a bit "Shinichi isn't tech savvy enough to do it... That means I have weird government tech in my head. I'd rather have my own tech" Replacing it would be a pain, pulling out his eye was always weird, especially when it was already intact.

"Okay..." This was a weird first conversation to be having "I was actually going to wake you up for dinner"

The magician's stomach rumbled at the mention of food "Food would be nice" Kaito admitted. It would also be a good opportunity to catch up on everything that he'd missed. The two talked a bit as they made their way down to the table.

"You look better than I was expecting you too" Saguru stated when they arrived, gold soft. Kaito looked healthy and just seemed a bit stiff.

Kaito beamed as he met Saguru's gaze, hurrying over to give him a quick peck on the cheek before taking a seat right next to him "Dinner smells great"

Saguru smiled "I wanted it to be extra nutritious for your first meal in a while"

The three talked and ate, catching each other up on things that's been missed and about potential plans for the future. The topics were kept light. They got along well together, and it just felt nice for all parties involved.

"So the mean kitten's name is Fluffy" Kaito confirmed, a little disappointed that Saguru hadn't gotten the cat by himself. Now he wouldn't be able to tease him about it.

Yozora nodded "One day I will snuggle with her"

"Did you get scratched or bitten?" Saguru inquired. Calling Fluffy mean, meant that the tiny kitten had already attacked Kaito.

Kaito splayed out his hand, showing off the impressive claw marks "She clawed me good, I don't know why it scarred though"

"Ah, Akako collected your debt, so try to keep your magic use to a minimum for a few days" Saguru answered. Kaito probably didn't have enough magic to prevent scarring.

"Oh" He was silent for a few moments before shrugging "At least I don't feel as bad as I thought I would when the day came" Akako had made it seem like he'd be bedridden for a long time afterwards.

"First they stole the life from all the plants in the area and gave it to you, then they took your magic" Yozora explained what she knew.

"My roses!" Kaito slumped in his chair "Please tell me that the unplanted seeds were untouched" Breeding his blue roses had taken years to perfect...

"They should be fine, the trees were excluded so the seeds should have been as well" Saguru offered. Trees took many years to grow, they were just not something that could be replaced as easily as grass, especially the old trees.

"I'll help you remove the dead plants from the garden" Yozora offered.

Chapter 67: Chapter 67

Notes:

Written August 28 2021
Posted on Wattpad October 4 2022
Posted here January 7 2022

Chapter Text

Dinner finished up nicely with Yozora choosing to read in her room afterwards. The girl was glad that Kaito was awake, but she'd been able to tell that the two had been restraining themselves a bit around her. Which was understandable, many kids were uncomfortable when they saw adults being affectionate with their partner. Saguru and Kaito had ended up going to their own room, wanting to catch up more with each other without preventing Yozora from going downstairs.

"So you really brought Yozora here?" Kaito asked with a smile, indigos shining. He didn't want to get his hopes up, but it was really really hard not to. The journey to Japan wasn't exactly a short nor easy one.

Gold softened "It would have felt wrong to just leave her to the authorities, considering her history and all" Kaito was snuggled up right beside him, awake and well. Saguru offered a small smile "And I figured that there was a good chance that you'd gotten attached to her"

A light pink tinted Kaito's cheeks, was he really that predictable? "Well you were right, Yozora is sweet, adorable, and very smart" If only her maturity wasn't a byproduct of how she'd been treated. Kaito curiously studied Saguru's expression "Do you want to adopt her?" He hadn't been reading the situation wrong, right? Why else would Saguru bring her here when he knew that he was already attached to her?

The nervousness that bled into Kaito's expression was cute, Saguru could tell what the other was hoping his answer to be "We're currently fostering her" Gold glinted at how the magician seemed to light up "A proper adoption will be up to her"

Kaito beamed "You got her a kitten" A mean little thing, but a kitten all the same "She's going to agree, I just know it" Saguru wouldn't have gotten her a kitten if he wasn't sure that the odds were in their favour.

Saguru chuckled "Just wait for a few weeks before asking her alright? Just because she's comfortable around us doesn't mean that she'd feel comfortable with our dynamic. Let her see what living with the both of us will be like"

The magician pouted, but nodded in agreement "Alright" It was a reasonable request, and it wasn't like Yozora was going anywhere "By the way, what's her legal status?"

"She's Hakuro Yozora, a Japanese citizen under our care"

"Hakuro?" The name intrigued him.

"The FBI chose it since you've apparently mentioned it a few times" Saguru replied.

"Ah" Kaito was blushing "How can I not talk about kids when I want kids so bad?" Working as an agent was also surprisingly boring at times, making conversation helped with that "Making a baby is hard"

Gold darkened at the mention of a baby "Yozora didn't tell you guys this because you were busy, but I was required to have Kusama come over to give her an abortion- it was her choice" He hurriedly added on. Yozora had given him permission to inform Kaito. Kaito was friends with the doctor so she didn't want her aversion to Nowaki to confuse him.

Kaito paled, eyes watering a bit "Those disgusting bastards..." He hissed lowly. They hadn't even been warned by that sleazy Kiritsu! That was bad 'service' just how had that ring been able to acquire loyalty from people? "She's okay now right?"

"Yes, but she feels uneasy around Kusama, she doesn't hate him though"

"Understandable" Kaito breathed, heart hurting. This was why he didn't choose to work full time with any law enforcement. Seeing people hurt was painful, at least as a doctor he could ease the physical wounds. He often couldn't understand why people would hurt others, but then things like this happened and he found himself eager to commit murder.

Saguru wrapped his arms around Kaito, holding him gently "She is safe, and you are safe. We will help her even if she chooses to be part of another family"

Kaito relaxed into the embrace "I love you so much" Saguru was so kind and caring, he just made him feel safe.

Seeing Kaito stare at him with such love and affection in his gaze made Saguru tremble "I love you too, I missed you when you were gone" His bed had felt cold and lonely, a drastic change from Kaito always being snuggled up against him. Just waking up everyday had been a cold reminder that Kaito had been far far away from him "Waking up was lonely" The house had been lonely too.

The magician smiled, soaking in the affection "My bed may not have been empty, but it wasn't the same. Shinichi doesn't like my snuggling as much as you do" He'd tried to snuggle Shinichi, he was a very touchy person after all. Shinichi had not approved of his platonic and sometimes mischievous cuddles.

Saguru breathed out a laugh "Of course not, he respects our relationship" Their friend was loyal.

"Then he'd know that cuddling wouldn't change anything" Kaito pouted "It's not like we never kissed or got touchy for a mission or anything, is platonic cuddling really too much to ask for?"

"Poor Kaito" Saguru entwined his fingers with Kaito's "I'm here now so you can have all the cuddles that you'd ever want" He planted a light kiss onto Kaito's knuckles, earning a light snicker from the other.

"Until you get tired of them" Kaito replied, indigos gleaming.

"Maybe"

Kaito teasingly stuck out his tongue "Mean" It had been so long since they'd been together like this, he was enjoying it. He also wanted more.

"I'm only mean when I need to be" Saguru replied softly. Giving Kaito free reign on everything would be an absolutely terrible idea.

The magician licked his lips, indigos glinting "It'd be really nice if you were mean to me" Kaito purred.

Saguru gulped, he really really liked that idea "I thought you were sore"

"A little soreness is nothing, you've done worse to me" Kaito's free hand was playing with Saguru's belt, not removing it, just playing with it.

Kaito was right, he was so right "Very well" Saguru's breath had sped up at the anticipation of being with Kaito again after so long. He'd do his best to be extra gentle.

Chapter 68: Chapter 68

Notes:

Written September 14 2021
Posted on Wattpad October 11 2021
Posted here January 14 2022

Chapter Text

Later that evening Kaito left his and Saguru's shared room feeling very pleased. He'd missed being with Saguru so much, his partner was the best at making him feel loved and appreciated. Despite how sore he felt, there was a small skip in his step. So many good things had been happening recently, it was hard to not be in a good mood. Sure there'd also been some bad things too, really bad, but thinking about them or bringing them up wouldn't do any good for anyone. He'd be better off thinking about the positives!

"Hi Fluffy" Kaito cooed, crouching down to get closer to the kitten's eye level, though this time he wasn't reaching out for her. Saguru and him had talked quite a bit as they basked in the afterglow of their activities, the story behind the acquisition of the mean kitten was horrible. Fluffy was very lucky to have been found in time.

Fluffy growled, tail twitching angrily in response to Kaito's greeting. The kitten's fur was fluffed up ever so slightly, Fluffy apparently still didn't like him. Kaito just smiled softly at the scared kitten, knowing that he'd probably get another scar if he tried to pet her again.

"An angry Fluffy is a very cute Fluffy" Yozora stated, having been searching for the kitten.

Kaito nodded, he absolutely agreed "She is very adorable" He paused "How is she with Tsuki?" His beloved dove had seemed fine, but Tsuki couldn't really communicate with actual words. Her feathers were well preened so he wasn't too worried, he still had to ask to make sure though.

Yozora blinked at the unexpected question "Fluffy's been in the same room as Tsuki, there were no murder attempts" The two hadn't really interacted all that much together.

The magician offered a relieved smile at the answer "That's good, Tsuki is old, stress wouldn't be healthy for her" It could kill her. Kaito eyed Yozora, the girl looked even healthier than the last time he'd seen her "How have you been liking what little bits you've seen of Japan so far?"

"It's been nice, I feel a lot safer here" Yozora smiled "I'm glad that I was brought here instead of kept there like the others"

"I'm glad too, you just disappearing into the system before I even woke up wouldn't feel right" It was hard to find people, especially when said system was North Korea's "Having you around is nice"

It was hard for Yozora to suppress a smile at Kaito's comment, but she managed to. She'd previously been informed of how excited Kaito would be to have her here, as a possible adoption candidate. The magician seemed to be in a very good mood, exceptionally happy was an understatement. There was just a brighter light in his gaze than when they'd been in Korea "Being here is nice" Yozora agreed "There's so much to learn, and so many things to do. It's a bit overwhelming"

Indigos softened "That's understandable, sometimes even I can't decide on what I want to do so I can only imagine that it's even worse for you" Kaito smiled "But that also means that you can experience a lot of things for the first time"

"Yeah, Saguru wants me to learn how to ride a bike and swim"

Kaito hummed, a mischievous glint in his eyes "Maybe Shinichi can teach you some things about skateboarding, he can do some pretty crazy stuff with one" Though said stuff had almost given him a heart attack the first time he'd witnessed Shinichi as Conan really go at it. Seeing his tiny friend do all those things hadn't been good for his heart. Especially since it had been in broad daylight. A tiny child doing amazing and borderline suicidal feats on a skateboard wasn't suspicious, not at all...

Yozora gave him a confused look "Skateboard?"

"Yeah, just no matter what he says, don't use a mechanical one, use a normal one" Yozora was an actual child and would not under any circumstances copy Shinichi's feats as Conan... Maybe he shouldn't have even mentioned skateboarding.

The girl shrugged "Sure, learning how to do sporty things sounds fun" Slate lit up excitedly "I recently saw one that looked so elegant and pretty" It had been amazing to watch

"Oh?" Kaito was grinning, excited for Yozora "I know a lot of sporty things, so I'd be more than happy to help"

"You'll teach me how to skate?" Yozora paused, Kaito had suddenly deflated for some reason "What's wrong?"

Kaito bowed his head "Skating and ice are one of my few weaknesses" He sighed "The only trick to skating that I could teach you is how to accumulate lots and lots of bruises" Of all the many sports, it just had to be skating. He had nothing against her learning how to skate, the problem was that he wouldn't be able to teach her.

Yozora giggled, she couldn't imagine it "But your sense of balance is so good, you can't be that bad at it"

"My balance seems to abandon me when it comes to ice" Kaito lamented "Skating is one of the few things that I can't help you with"

The girl almost felt bad for Kaito, the magician had been so eager to help her "Okay, so instead of skating I could do something else"

Kaito shook his head "No, I'll take you skating, Saguru or Aoko could teach you the basics but if you want to skate, then you should skate. I could just watch and attempt to not fall on my face" At least he could heal his own bruises now "I don't bruise like I used to thanks to my magic" He'd even mastered regrowing teeth at the hospital so he wouldn't have to worry about losing a tooth permanently.

It was touching that Kaito was so eager to apparently humiliate himself if it meant that he could spend time with her. If she hadn't known that Kaito wanted to adopt her she'd have been put off, but she did know so it just seemed a bit pathetic and desperate "Okay, maybe you could learn with me"

Indigos lit up at the thought "I'll do my best" Instead of complaining and flailing, he'll actually attempt to learn.

Chapter 69: Chapter 69 Package, Tsuki

Notes:

Written October 1 2021
Posted on Wattpad October 18 2021
Posted here January 21 2022

NEXT UPDATE is on February 4 2022

Chapter Text

The next few weeks passed with ease, Kaito's garden got emptied of all the dead plants, Saguru returned to working- though not as much as he had worked before, and Kaito took it easy as he recovered his magic. Now the magician's magic was completely recovered, so technically he could have returned to work, but he opted into just being on call for emergencies. He wouldn't be getting paid as much, but Saguru had inherited a lot of money, meaning that neither of them actually needed to work.

Indigos gleamed as Kaito brought in the package that he'd received. The special red figure skates that he'd ordered had finally arrived. They'd been specially made so that the insides wouldn't irritate Yozora if her socks rolled down while she was skating. The blade guards were black instead of red for contrast. He'd gotten himself simple but well made black figure skates. Saguru and Aoko already had their own, he himself had been the only one besides Yozora who hadn't had a pair.

Kaito was both excited and nervous to actually put them to use. He'd made a promise though, so he wouldn't back out of it! The magician set the box down onto the coffee table next to Yozora's discarded science textbook "Your skates are here" Kaito grinned, Yozora had been reading something on her phone.

"Oh" Yozora sat up straighter from where she'd been slumped on the couch "I didn't think that speciality items arrived fast" She'd thought that it'd take at least a month! They weren't mass produced like a lot of things after all.

The magician stifled a snicker "It did arrive slow, at least compared to some places that have one or two day delivery"

Yozora blinked "That is really fast..." Such a thing didn't seem like it'd be such an easy thing to do.

"Yup" Kaito nodded, tapping the box "Anyways, why don't you open it now since you're already taking a break" A box cutter appeared in his hand, he offered it to her.

"Okay" Yozora accepted the box cutter and opened the box, smiling when she saw the ruby red skates "They're so pretty" The black laces really made the red pop out more.

"I figured you'd like them" Kaito was glad that they'd followed his instructions, it would have been awkward if they'd sent the wrong pair by mistake "Now we can go skating whenever Saguru or Aoko are free" The magician grinned "Later today if you want and a big case doesn't come up"

Yozora smiled, hugging the non bladed parts of her skates against her chest "I hope it works out" She understood that sometimes Saguru couldn't just drop a case without it being an emergency. Cases were ongoing things that sometimes took longer than what was expected. It wasn't like working at a store where you could normally just clock out when your shift was over.

"We're both going to wear helmets, because I'm bad with ice and we don't know how good you'll be" The magician was a good example on how good balance didn't always mean that you were good at skating.

The girl nodded "Falling on ice can be dangerous, I don't want to crack my head open" It didn't seem like a pleasant experience and she was more than happy to not include it in future experiences.

"I've actually gotten a few concussions from slipping on ice" Kaito added with a grimace "After the last one Aoko gave up on trying to get me to skate with her" He'd viewed it as a boon, once he'd recovered that is.

"At least you can heal now" Yozora replied, putting the skate guards on the skates before starting to put said skates onto her feet "I want to get used to them before I skate" The internet had told her that trying to skate in new skates didn't feel good until they were broken in.

"I'll just heal any blisters that form, I'd rather not be stuck in skates around the house" He also might break something if he fell in the wrong direction and knocked something over.

Yozora just shrugged and Kaito left her to smile at her skates. He wanted to sleep a bit if they were going to head out tonight. He'd noticed that he'd had slightly less energy ever since he'd properly woken up, Shinichi had been the same for a good while but he'd gotten back to normal. It was another reason why he'd decided to just be on call for emergencies, if he was at the hospital, he'd be tempted to go overboard and overwork himself in order to heal everyone that he could. He didn't have the energy to go at his job like he'd used to, and he didn't have the willpower to go easy at it, so he was taking a break. At least Akako had confirmed that he was fine and that his energy would go back to normal eventually.

Kaito shot a smile at Fluffy as he passed her on the stairs, the kitten still never let him pet her. That was fine though, he had Tsuki. Said dove cooed happily when he entered his bedroom, Tsuki liked to spend most of her time here "Hi Tsuki" Kaito gently scooped up the elderly dove, bringing her up to his cheek to nuzzle. He quickly checked her food and water, making sure that she'd eaten and hadn't just stayed in the same place all day. She'd eaten and drank water. Kaito then carefully plopped her down onto her own pillow-the one she used when Kaito was using his own "Wake me up in a bit" Kaito jokingly asked.

Tsuki just cooed softly, tilting her head before hopping over and settling next to his cheek. Kaito laughed, moving her back to the pillow "I love you so I don't want to crush you" He was planning to actually sleep, not cuddle with the dove. Tsuki seemed to wilt a bit. Kaito sighed, laying down so that his hand was on Tsuki's pillow. Tsuki cooed happily, nuzzling the hand. Why did his dove have to be so cute?

Chapter 70: Chapter 70 Skating, Hot Chocolate

Notes:

Written October 6 2021
Posted on Wattpad October 31 2021
Posted here February 4 2022

Chapter Text

Okay, so they were really here. Saguru hadn't been held up at the station, so now the three of them were at an indoor skating rink. Kaito shifted nervously, idling just off of the ice, watching Saguru help Yozora onto the ice. The girl succeeded in not immediately face planting, so she was already better at skating than him.

"Aren't you going to join us?" Yozora asked, looking at Kaito as she held onto Saguru's arm for balance. The ice was slippery, like she'd expected it to be.

Kaito held back a nervous sigh "Yeah, I was just mentally preparing myself for when my face inevitably meets the ice" The magician shifted, eyeing the ice with suspicion as he grabbed onto the side of the rink. Holding onto Saguru with Yozora would probably end with all three of them falling "At least we're the only ones here" It was after hours, but the owners had owed Saguru some favours. Kaito stepped onto the ice, immediately yelping as he slipped and fell into the side.

Saguru hid a smile behind his hand "Do you need help up?" Kaito had hit the side pretty hard.

The magician shook his head, pulling himself to his feet "I'm good" Wearing a helmet had been a good idea.

"I'd thought that you were exaggerating on how bad you were" Yozora smiled, watching Kaito slip had been funny.

"I wish" Kaito huffed. He then turned towards Saguru "Okay, teach us. I'll actually listen to you this time" He'd told Yozora that he would so that's what he would do.

The blond smiled "Very well, make sure to pay attention" He started showing the two of them how to move, stop and turn around. Making them attempt each action a few times before showing them again, repeating until they- or at least Yozora got it. The girl was catching on a lot faster than Kaito, so while the magician worked on older techniques, Saguru taught her newer ones.

By the end of the night, Yozora was steady on the ice. Kaito on the other hand was sore and drained. He'd fallen and gotten so many bruises, sprains, and even some broken bones throughout the lesson. Thankfully he'd been able to heal the serious injuries quickly. He no longer immediately fell when his feet touched the ice, but he was still very unstable and couldn't change directions- or even go in the same direction for too long. Kaito was just glad that Yozora was capable enough to skate decently on her own.

"Today was fun" Yozora beamed as she removed her skates. She'd gotten some bruises, but Kaito had been quick to heal them for her "I really liked skating"

"Today was interesting" Kaito laughed "I'm glad you enjoyed yourself" It made it worth it.

Saguru eyed Kaito, the magician was a bit pale "It was nice to actually skate with you for once" Kaito had probably gotten more hurt than they'd realized. It was good that it was already late.

Kaito smiled "Maybe one day we can do it without me dragging you to the ground with me" Skating was a nice activity for couples. It would be nice to be able to properly partake in it.

The blond's lips quirked up "Hopefully, but even falling with you is fine" Kaito's concentrated face was really cute. It was rare that the other genuinely struggled at something while trying his hardest at it. When it did happen, it was never for too long.

"You just wait until I end up having to fix one of your teeth because I made you fall" Kaito Grinned. It was a very likely future outcome.

"It'll still be fun" Saguru replied.

Yozora smiled, the interaction was cute "Can we have hot chocolate when we get back?" A nice warm drink sounded nice.

"I like that idea" Kaito chimed in. Chocolate was always good.

Saguru checked the time "I suppose it won't hurt" It was nearing 10pm, but they'd done a fair amount of exercise today. The sugary beverage shouldn't hinder Yozora's ability to sleep "No mini marshmallows though, it's too late for excessively sugary drinks"

Kaito pouted but Yozora nodded "Okay, that's fair" Saguru wasn't too fond of allowing too much sugar so close to bed, so she counted this as a win. Kaito obviously didn't care but abided with Saguru's wishes anyways to be fair. Yozora was pretty sure that Kaito wouldn't listen to Saguru if not for her presence. He'd been pretty liberal with the sugar during the mission.

The three of them packed up their supplies and headed home in the car. When they got back, Kaito immediately started making the hot chocolate once everything had been brought inside. He added in some mint to enhance the flavour. Mint and chocolate went well together. He didn't like peppermint though, it was too strong. Kaito snuck some cream into his and Yozora's drinks, along with some mini marshmallows, making sure that they melted before handing Yozora her cup. She'd seen him put them in.

"It tastes so good" Yozora beamed, it was so creamy and thick. Much better than some of the ones that she'd tried before.

Saguru hummed, eyeing their cups suspiciously as he drank his own. He hadn't see the whole process, so he just knew that Kaito had snuck in extra sugar into their drinks "I agree, it tastes good. Though my drink is coloured differently than yours" It was darker.

Indigos gleamed "It only looks like that because you have a white cup and we have black ones"

Yozora hid a smile behind her cup. She hadn't realized that the cup colour hadn't been random. That was smart.

"I would be inclined to believe you if I didn't know you" Saguru replied.

Kaito stuck out his tongue "Cheater"

"Of course" Saguru rolled his eyes.

"Next time can we try putting bananas into it?" The two adults gave Yozora a funny look, she blushed, looking away "I see chocolate syrup and bananas on desserts, and I've seen banana milk. Wouldn't adding bananas work too?"

Saguru blinked "I don't think it works like that"

"Sure, I'll use banana milk instead of real milk next time" Kaito offered. Why not? The worst outcome would just be getting a horrible taste stuck in their mouths. 

Chapter 71: Chapter 71 Huh...

Notes:

Written October 18 2021
Posted on Wattpad November 8 2021
Posted on here February 11 2022

Chapter Text

The next morning had Kaito feeling sick and horrible. His abdomen was killing him and it wasn't because he needed to use the washroom. Relieving himself had been easy, leaving Kaito to wallow in his misery in the comfort of his and Saguru's shared bed. It hurt, but his magic was telling him that there wasn't anything wrong with him that needed fixing. It had Kaito wishing that he was either severely constipated or had gotten injured in his sleep somehow. Fixing either of those problems would have been easy.

"Maybe you should go to the hospital Dove" Saguru offered, gently petting Kaito's hair. The magician was pale, but not alarmingly so.

"My magic can sense everything, more than what the machines could possibly look for" Kaito replied, wincing as another jolt of pain hit him. He was actually starting to think that he might know what was wrong with him "Plus this is starting to feel familiar, I think I have an egg that's too large inside of me" He hadn't laid an egg since before the mission.

Saguru paled. The last time that'd happened, Kaito hadn't been able to recover enough in time before he'd been forced to lay the next one. The cycle had continued, bringing the magician near death before Ai had been able to find a solution. The blond forced himself to calm down, that wouldn't happen this time. They had a way to prevent that from happening again "Why haven't you taken the serum yet?" Kaito had been suffering for at least a few hours.

Kaito bit his lip "I want to have this egg- just in case we succeeded" Sensing Saguru's concern, the magician quickly continued "I'll use the serum after that until I've recovered"

Gold softened, the last time Kaito had used the serum, he'd accidentally killed their unborn child "I understand" He was fearful, but he completely understood the other's concern. Saguru crawled into bed next to Kaito, hugging him "The potion Koizumi-chan gave you should make things easier for you"

"It already has" Kaito smiled, relaxing in Saguru's embrace "Just keep holding me and I'll be fine"

"I've got some chocolate pudding for you" Yozora announced, she'd left to make it in an attempt to cheer Kaito up. It was something that should be easy to eat.

Kaito beamed, sitting up to accept the chocolate dessert "Thanks Yozora"

"Abandoned for chocolate..." Saguru jokingly sighed as he sat up as well.

Yozora rolled her eyes "It's the instant kind since that's quicker" She gave Kaito his treat before sitting on the end of the bed. She eyed Kaito "Have you figured out what's wrong yet?" Kaito was a doctor with magical healing abilities. He had to have some idea by now.

The magician nodded "I might have a huge egg stuck in me, it's been a long time since I've had one"

Frowning, Yozora crawled over and patted Kaito's stomach "If it's as huge as you're implying, it'd be visible or at least able to be felt since you're lean"

Kaito blinked "You have a point..."

"Your abdomen does become a bit more solid near the dates when you lay and egg" Saguru mused.

"You never told me that" Kaito pouted, had Saguru really been able to tell?

Saguru just offered a shrug, smiling "I figured you'd obsess over it if you know"

"No I wouldn't..." Kaito lied, eating a bit more of the pudding, it was good. Yozora had gotten the texture right.

"So we've concluded that you're not having trouble with a big egg" Yozora noted, crossing her arms in thought. That was worrying, Kaito had a really high pain tolerance.

"Yeah..." Kaito wilted, he needed to stop getting his hopes up. They chatted for a good while, it was a nice distraction. It also helped that Yozora had most likely slipped in some crushed up pain meds into his pudding. The pain wasn't as sharp.

"Did you really set your friend on fire?" Yozora asked, a little sceptical after hearing Kaito's story.

"I can confirm that he did" Saguru added "Hattori got in the way of his trick and ended up getting set on fire instead of the ball"

"He should've known better than to get in the way of my tricks" Kaito crossed his arms "He knew that it was a fire based trick, so it's his fault" The Osakan hadn't been too injured, just a bit singed and in need of some new eyebrows.

"Wow" Yozora didn't really know what to say about that.

Kaito snickered, flinched, then grimaced, putting the two on alert.

"What's wrong?" Saguru asked.

The magician was still, still grimacing "I-" He paused, sticking his hand down his loose pants "I laid a tiny egg?" His voice was tinged with confusion as he held up the two inch egg "Why did it hurt so much?!" It was so tiny compared to his normal ones! At least it was an egg, for a horrifying second he'd thought he'd soiled himself.

"It's so pretty" Yozora gasped. It was a nice baby blue "And adorable" It was so tiny and cute!

"Your reproductive system was fixed, maybe this is now what's considered large for you?" Saguru offered "It's a different colour too, they used to be indigo" He touched the egg to examine it, jolting his hand away when it glowed a soft white and grew a little. Saguru's jaw dropped, he turned his gaze towards Kaito. Kaito was crying.

Yozora's eyes were wide "Shinichi did say that conception would be more likely..."

Kaito hugged the egg "Finally" His voice was wet, he was so happy "We need to call Akako, I don't want to mess up and have it die" Not again "And I want to know what others touching it does to it" He offered Yozora an apologetic look "I'd trust you to hold it, but I want to make sure it's safe first"

"I understand, magic is strange" Yozora smiled, she was glad that they'd finally succeeded "I wonder if it's a little sister or brother?"

Gold widened at her words "You mean?"

Yozora nodded "I decided it a while ago, I'm staying"

The magician burst into another fit of tears, happy tears. Too many good things were happening out of the blue.

Chapter 72: Chapter 72 Winged

Notes:

Written October 26 2021
Posted on Wattpad November 15 2021
Posted here February 18 2022

NEXT UPDATE is on March 4 2022

Chapter Text

Once they'd gotten Kaito to settle down, Saguru had called Akako, requesting her to come over as soon as possible. This was their first viable egg to actually have a chance at hatching, they didn't want to make any mistakes. So now the red witch was currently in their living, eyeing the egg curiously.

"It's healthy" Akako confirmed, she could sense the life growing beneath the egg's pretty shell. She'd refrained from touching the actual egg, instead levitating it for a better examination.

Kaito perked up, exuding hopeful energy "So it'll hatch so long as it doesn't break?" He leaned into Saguru when he felt the blond's hand clasp his shoulder. He really really didn't want to mess this up, this was the farthest they'd ever gotten.

Akako nodded, a fond smile tugging at her lips "So long as you protect and give it lots of love, then yes" She affirmed "Positive energy will be vital, but I doubt you'll develop any ill will towards it" The very thought was ludicrous.

Saguru's shoulders sagged with relief "Love won't be any problem" Just Kaito himself would probably be enough, so with the three of them, it looked good. He eyed the floating egg, noting that the witch hadn't touched it "Do you know why it reacted when I touched it?" It couldn't be nothing, otherwise Akako would be holding it instead of floating it.

Red eyes gleamed "It's a way for it to develop bonds with family, obviously Kaito is exempt because it came from inside him. The child will view them as family until something happens to break their trust in someone they're bonded to" She shrugged "It's kind of like how birds imprint on the first thing they see"

"So babysitting will be easier?" Yozora asked, remembering how some infants didn't like being held by others.

"Probably" Akako agreed, floating the egg back to Kaito.

The magician cradled the egg, indigos soft before looking at both Akako and Yozora "Both of you two need to hold the egg" He held the egg out, sharing a look with Saguru "Yozora is obviously family, but you've become kinda like family too Akako" While rough around the edges, Kaito did trust Akako.

Yozora's eyes lit up as she eagerly held the egg. It began to glow a soft white, visibly growing a bit"It's warmer than I was expecting" It was almost as warm as fluffy, but hard and smooth instead of furry.

Akako shook her head "My magic might taint it's magic, white magic is rare and can be easily influenced into a more common type at such a young stage"

Kaito just offered a smile "That's even better, white magic is rare right? The fewer of us there are, the less likely we are to attract attention" Akako had given him a ward to disguise his magical signature, but having too many wards didn't sound like a good idea.

The witch blinked, then just smirked "I guess I'm just more used to people valuing magic over protection" Old magical families were less kind and more ruthless towards their descendants. Akako reached over and patted the egg, making it glow once again.

Yozora frowned "Maybe that's why there's so few magic users left" Not caring for their young, how could they expect bloodlines to flourish?

"Probably" Akako agreed, looking away "From what I know, most witches don't really like their parents" More often than not, the young witch took out their parents in retaliation.

Not liking the dark direction the conversation was heading, Kaito decided to change the topic "So Aoko will be coming over later today?" Aoko was currently at work.

"Yes, I left a message before leaving the house" Akako agreed.

"Can Shinichi come too?" Yozora asked "He needs to touch the egg too"

"I'll invite him over" Saguru agreed "He might not be able to make it on such a short notice though" Detective work could be unpredictable, especially if you were Shinichi.

"Ah" Kaito grimaced "Ai-chan might invite herself over to check on my vitals"

Yozora blinked, she hadn't met this Ai-chan yet "Is she bad?"

Kaito quickly shook his head "No, she's good, she can just be mean"

"She doesn't put up with Kaito's jokes" Saguru quickly added "She threatens him a lot, but she'd never really harm him"

Indigos narrowed "She uses unreasonably large needles on me!"

"And you usually deserve it" Saguru smiled.

"I will keep my distance from her..." Yozora stated. It didn't seem like that person would be a danger to her, but she didn't want to risk it. She didn't like needles, at all.

Saguru sighed "Haibara-san won't do anything to you, she only really picks on Kaito and Shinichi, and that's usually when they neglect their health" Gold softened "It's how she shows that she cares"

"Okay" That sounded a little better?

"Oh that reminds me" Akako eyed Kaito "You don't need to cut holes in your shirts anymore, obstructing your back won't stress your wings anymore. They'll now phase through anything unless you want them to come out" Before the glamour created illusions to make it seem like Kaito had no wings.

"Is that why there's been a lack of pressure on my back?" Kaito inquired, he'd grown used to having a pressure on his back whenever he was in a position where his wings would be in the way. He'd grown so used to it that he'd stopped registering the pressure's existence.

"Yes, with your DNA change, your wings are more suited for this world" Akako added "You can pop them out, and have only certain people be able to see them"

"Will the baby be like that?" Yozora inquired, turning her gaze towards the egg.

Akako hummed in thought "Most likely yes, their species' abilities aren't tied to what kind of magic they have. It's simply like how fish breathe underwater, they're born that way"

Kaito grimaced at the wording "Can we give my 'species' a name since we don't know the original name?"

Saguru chuckled "Let's name it as Winged then, it's simple enough" The magician pouted but nodded in agreement.

"I'll have to edit my texts..." Akako mused. She'd been documenting the information she'd been getting from Kaito for future references.

Chapter 73: Chapter 73 Egg Warming and Talking

Notes:

Written November 4 2021
Posted on Wattpad November 22 2021
Posted here March 4 2022

Chapter Text

Many hours were spent with Kaito fawning over the egg, he was just so amazed and excited. They were soon going to have two official children. All that was required was for the paperwork to be done for Yozora and for the egg to hatch. The magician really wanted to know the gender, but Akako had told him that they wouldn't know until their child hatched. It was both exciting and a little frustrating.

"Kaito looks adorable doing that" Yozora whispered to Saguru. Kaito had his knees tucked near his chest, the egg the only thing stopping his knees from being tucked in completely. His wings were out, braced forwards to wrap around himself.

"He does" Saguru agreed with a smile. Seeing Kaito so happy made him feel even more happy himself.

"Kaito can hear you" Kaito murmured, scowling despite the amusement in his voice. He couldn't help it, he wanted to protect and keep the egg warm. It was quite big compared to when it'd first came out of him. It made him hopeful, did the size relate to how long it'll take to hatch? He hoped so. That would mean that he'd just need to get more people to touch the egg.

"I wonder if Tsuki would be willing to warm the egg" Yozora mused "Fluffy's size would be better, but I wouldn't trust her with it" Cats liked to knock things over right? She'd caught fluffy starting to bat a glass off the coffee table once.

Kaito visibly grimaced "I wouldn't trust Fluffy either" The kitten was cute, but mean. He could totally see the little thing shoving the egg off of something.

"At least you've practically taken a leave from work" Saguru stated softly, "That way you can warm the egg yourself" Saguru gave Kaito a knowing look "I highly doubt that you'll want to use an egg incubator"

"Of course not" Kaito frowned "That would be very impersonal, holding the egg is best" He would love the egg, and their child would hatch and be very healthy.

"An incubator would probably kill it" Akako stated, stroking Fluffy "It needs to receive warmth from a living being"

Yozora's gaze zeroed in on Fluffy. She reached over to stroke the kitten, quickly retreating when sharp claws lashed out "Why?!" She was more upset with the betrayal than the blood dripping from her hand. Did Akako bewitch Fluffy?! That had to be the only explanation...

Kaito snickered, extending his left wing to touch Yozora's shoulder, the injury healed without a trace.

The girl plucked a visibly loose feather as Kaito's wing returned to it's previous position. Yozora then waved the feather around, trying to entice the kitten "Fluffy"

"Please don't get Fluffy into playing with feathers..." Saguru couldn't help but grimace "We don't want her going after Tsuki, or your future sibling if they have wings too"

"Hey, why wasn't I mentioned?" Kaito protested.

"It doesn't matter if Fluffy goes after you" Akako answered with a smirk.

"Rude" Kaito was a bit surprised that Akako hadn't already left yet. It was weird for her to just spend a day here, without Aoko to accompany her.

"You can't really be damaged by Fluffy" Saguru stated, ignoring the sound of the front door unlocking. It was probably either Aoko or Shinichi. Everyone else seemed to ignore it as well.

"I'm here with a guest" Shinichi called. Kaito shivered, already guessing who the sleuth had brought.

Yozora blinked when a strawberry blond teen followed in after Shinichi. She had a cool gaze, she was also very pretty.

"I'm going to check on your health" Ai stated as she walked right up to Kaito.

Kaito sighed, wings wilting as he uncurled himself "Thanks for asking..." He huffed, handing the egg over to Yozora before following her out of the room. The medical room would have all the required equipment.

"Um..." Yozora hugged the egg "Will Kaito be okay?" She asked, looking towards Shinichi.

The sleuth nodded, a small smirk on his lips "Yeah, Haibara makes him uneasy, but she's the only person that he actually let's check his full health" Past experiences had caused Kaito to develop a great dislike for being examined near where the eggs came out of.

Yozora nodded "Okay" She held out the egg as Shinichi sat down near her "You need to hold it, the child will consider you family if you do"

Since Saguru offered no objection, Shinichi carefully accepted the egg, startling a bit when it glowed and grew a bit "So that's how they knew it wasn't a dud..." Shinichi mused, running a finger against its smooth surface "The previous colour was nicer, but blue is a good colour too" It looked more natural, if one excluded it's size of course.

"I was expecting you to arrive last" Saguru mused "A slow day?" He highly doubted that the sleuth had left during a case.

"Yeah" Shinichi sighed "But that means that tomorrow will probably be extra busy or hectic..." That's just the way things were when it came to his luck.

"Don't worry about it, just relax" Yozora offered a smile "That way you'll be well rested for tomorrow if you're right"

"I'll be going in too to help" Saguru stated, getting up from his seat "What drinks would you all like? Kaito will require a pick-me-up so I might as well get everyone else's drinks as well" Hot chocolate should do for Kaito.

"Coffee please" Saguru already knew what kind he liked "Oh and Haibara will probably want water"

"I'll take some mint tea" Akako stated.

Yozora thought for a second "I'll have whatever Kaito's having" It was probably something very chocolatey and tasty.

Saguru nodded and headed towards the kitchen to prepare the different drinks.

Akako smirked at Shinichi after Saguru had left "The results of your contribution seem to be going well, hopefully the timing will match well with the little one in the egg"

Shinichi shifted a bit nervously "Oh? That's good. Is it you or?"

"Magic" Akako replied "It's the only way to ensure even genetics"

The sleuth blinked, then looked down at the egg "Something like this?"

Akako nodded "Correct"

Yozora frowned, not really understanding what they were talking about "Do you have an egg too?"

The witch's smile became a lot less threatening as she directed it towards Yozora "Not an egg, a magic orb"

Chapter 74: Chapter 74 Hanging Out

Notes:

Written November 11 2021
Posted on Wattpad December 6 2021
Posted here March 11 2022

Chapter Text

When Aoko finally arrived, she wasted no time in rushing over to hug Kaito. She was happy for her best friend, knowing just how much the magician had wanted to have a child himself. Kaito had confided in her often about his worries of failing to conceive before they were too old for such a thing to be possible. It had made her want to hold off on having Akako use magic to grant themselves a child.

Kaito wouldn't have had any negative feelings if they'd decided to have a child, Aoko had known that as a fact. Her best friend would have probably been elated for them if anything. Despite this, Aoko had held firm on her idea to wait. That way they'd be able to time it so that their kids could grow up together! Akako had readily agreed once she'd given her reasoning. It wasn't like they had a biological time limit like Kaito did.

It was hard not informing Kaito that they were going to have a kid soon too. It was very very hard. They wanted it to be a surprise, that, and Kaito already looked so happy, practically buzzing with energy. Telling Kaito right now might just be too much, so they'd at least wait until Kaito was more calmed down, or if Kaito was having a bad day. It was basically a 'Make Kaito Happy' card. It could be saved for when Kaito wasn't already elated.

"I really wish we knew how long it'll take to hatch" Aoko breathed, the egg was nice and warm in her hold. It was almost worthy of being called a mini-heater "I doubt that it'll take a whole nine months..." Magic was strange, but made sense in some ways. She was leaning against Akako.

"I know of some magical creatures that do take that long" Akako gently tapped the egg with a finger "But I can sense that this is at least not one of them"

"I hope it doesn't take long, it requiring warmth from a living being might get tedious" Saguru offered, handing Kaito another hot chocolate refill. He knew that Kaito wouldn't like to sit still for too long, and taking it to work with him would just be a stupid idea as a whole.

"I'll warm the egg when Kaito gets too antsy" Yozora offered, smiling. She was better at sitting still than Kaito. Maybe it was because most of her activities didn't require too much movement? She did sit around a lot, but that was because she was learning so many different things!

"All that matters is that it remains healthy" Ai sighed, she'd been quietly going over the results that she'd gotten from the tests she'd done on Kaito. Kaito's vitals looked different than the last time she'd checked everything. It would have concerned her more if Kaito hadn't changed species. She jotted a few things down "Kuroba must refrain from any activities that would result in another child, I would like to make a new baseline of his health"

Kaito's cheeks warmed "That's something you're supposed to tell me in private" Why did the little scientist ignore doctor-patient confidentiality?

Saguru nodded "That seems agreeable" It wasn't like he was planning to bed Kaito so soon after he'd laid an egg, even if it had been smaller than usual. He preferred to let Kaito's body heal. Just because Kaito was good with pain, it didn't mean that he liked afflicting it onto him.

"What do you think we should order?" Shinichi inquired, pulling his hand back from a failed attempt to pet Fluffy. It had gotten late, cooking something good would take too much time.

"Pizza" Kaito's suggestion was simple.

"There's too many of us with different tastes to share pizza" Ai refuted, not looking up from her tablet "Something more healthy would be better"

"Pizza is healthy, it contains bread, tomato sauce, cheese, and other potential toppings" Kaito retorted.

"It's fine, leftover pizza is always good, we can afford a few pizzas" Shinichi quickly cut in, not wanting Ai to get annoyed enough to start using needle threats "Good toppings can make pizza more healthy"

"Fine, but none of you better get extra cheese" Ai's words were firm.

Kaito wilted a bit "But none of us are overweight..."

"Stop arguing Kaito" Aoko sighed. It wasn't like Kaito ever ordered extra cheese in the first place, he just wanted to because he was told not too.

Once everything was settled, Shinichi ordered the pizzas. Kaito had a vegetarian pizza all to himself, Shinichi got a pepperoni despite Ai glaring at him for planning to have lots of leftovers. Saguru and Yozora got a Hawaiian pizza, knowing that they could eat some of Kaito's, and Aoko and Akako got a meat lover's pizza. Ai didn't get any pizza, instead opting for Spaghetti and a Caesar salad. It was an unreasonable amount of pizza to be ordered, but leftovers were a thing that was greatly valued.

"It should be here in about an hour" Shinichi stated once he hung up, blinking in surprise when he felt something land on his head. It was Tsuki. He reached up to pet the dove.

"We should watch a movie!" Kaito piped up, they had many movies "We should watch Cats and Dogs" It was a funny movie that was neither detective orientated nor romance orientated. It should give them a few laughs.

Yozora shrugged "I wouldn't mind a movie" It was one she hadn't seen before and she'd liked most of the ones that Kaito had introduced her to.

Ai stood up "I'll go look over some things in the medical room" It was practically a lab, but she respected Kaito's wishes in not calling it as such.

Saguru frowned "Is something wrong?"

"No, it'll just take less time if I'm alone" Ai replied. She'd seen the movie once, and that was enough. She wasn't into re-watching movies.

"We can watch the sequel too" Kaito stated as he retrieved the chosen movie from the TV stand. His wings were still out, and feeling them actually go through things was weird. Hopefully he'd get used to the sensation quickly. The others didn't seem to react when his wings went through them. 

Chapter 75: Chapter 75 Sleepy Breakfast

Notes:

Written November 20 2021
Posted on Wattpad December 13 2021
Posted here March 18 2022

Chapter Text

The get together continued late into the night, though eventually Aoko and Akako went home. Shinichi opted to just stay over in a spare room, not wanting to run into a crime on the way back. Ai? Kaito wasn't sure what happened to her, but he knew that the little scientist could take care of herself. She'd either left, or was staying in the medical room for the night.

Sleep had come with surprising ease to Kaito. He'd ended up curled around the egg, with Saguru curled around him. The combined warmth of both their bodies and the unnaturally warm egg had Kaito waking up feeling a bit lethargic. The cozy warmth was not something that he wanted to lose. Unfortunately, Saguru had to get up for work.

"My warmth..." Kaito complained, despite still having contact with the warm egg. The magician pouted as he watched Saguru leave the room before reluctantly scooping up the egg to follow after him. Hugging said egg to his chest felt natural as he caught up to the other "What should we have for breakfast?" Now that he'd left the warm cocoon, he was feeling a bit hungry.

"French toast and bacon should suffice" Saguru replied, he was sure they had some of Kaito's special bacon left.

Kaito smiled, indigos gleaming "Good, lots of protein. I'm sure Shinichi would have just had leftovers if he'd gone home instead of staying the night" He liked making sure that the sleuth ate well. Shinichi and Saguru were partners, they needed to be well enough to have each other's backs. The little scientist did a good job monitoring him, but Shinichi managed to sneak a few things past her "I'll make some fruit smoothies for an extra boost" And to appease Ai if the scientist had in fact stayed the night as well.

Saguru nodded "Can you put together something for lunch as well while I cook?"

"Of course" Not wanting to put the egg down, Kaito used his wings to hold it behind him. It felt a bit awkward, but he managed with only a little strain. He'd fashion an egg holder later. Kaito set to work on making the smoothies, while at the same time putting together two lunches. One for each detective. They both contained leftover rice, cooked vegetables, and octopus dogs. He even cut up some apples into bunnies just for fun. When he finished, he left to go fetch the sleuth.

Yozora was just leaving her room as Kaito passed it "Smells good" She yawned, heading downstairs.

Waking up the sleuth ended up being somewhat difficult, but he managed to drag a half-asleep Shinichi down to the table right as Saguru was setting down the plates.

"We really shouldn't have stayed up so long..." Saguru sighed, eyeing both Yozora and Shinichi, the two of them looked sleepy.

"Weak" Ai stated, walking into the room and taking a seat "I stayed up all night, I'm still fully functional"

Yozora eagerly started to fill her plate, the food looked good "It was a special occasion"

"I'm not weak, I just need coffee" Shinichi breathed, perking up when Kaito waked a cup of his beloved beverage right under his nose. He took it gratefully. It smelled divine so the magician must not have contaminated it with sugar, or salt. Kaito could be cruel.

Kaito beamed, sitting cross-legged with the egg in his lap "Your reliance on coffee will get you into trouble one day" He waved a hand, allowing small bowls filled with strawberries, blueberries, and some cut up bananas to appear beside everyone's plates. An extra vitamin boost to go with their fruit smoothies.

Ai smirked "Are you sure this much nutrition won't shock Kudo's system so early in the morning?" She knew that the other usually just had coffee more often than not.

"He's eaten here before" Yozora replied, feeling a bit confused. Wouldn't she already know that?

Saguru smiled "She's teasing him" He clarified, Yozora nodded in understanding.

Tsuki came flying in, settling on top of Kaito's head "This is really good Saguru" The french toast was soft, but crisp enough to not be gross. He snagged a strawberry and gave it to Tsuki.

Gold narrowed at Kaito "You're showering before you even think of laying back in bed" Tsuki wasn't a messy eater, but she also didn't have hands to hold the fruit "I do not want our bed sheets to become sticky"

Kaito stuck out his tongue "I was already planning to shower"

"Can Fluffy eat anything here?" Yozora inquired, wanting to feed her pet too.

"This food is too fatty for cats" Ai answered, an obese cat would be more at risk for health problems and arthritis later in life. Carrying the extra weight would be bad for the joints.

"Oh..." Yozora wilted a bit, she didn't want Fluffy to be at risk.

"You can feed her proper cat treats after breakfast" Saguru added "Just a few though"

"Okay" She'll wait until Kaito was showering, she wanted to give Fluffy some tuna. She didn't want to make Kaito uncomfortable though.

The meal continued nicely, with everyone eating their fill, Saguru and Shinichi were forced to leave before cleanup, getting a call from the inspector. So they grabbed their lunches and rushed off.

"Why don't you go and continue your studies, I'll help Kuroba clean up" Ai suggested, looking at Yozora.

Yozora nodded, a little confused "Okay" She must want to speak to Kaito in private. She hoped that it wasn't bad news.

"What's wrong?" Kaito inquired after Yozora had left, he didn't pause in wiping the plates off.

"Nothing is wrong" Ai answered, collecting all the cups "You just need to not do anything strenuous for a while. Despite the apparently easy 'birth' your body had been sapped of a lot of vital nutrients" She frowned, eyeing the egg "I stole some samples from Kudo while he was sleeping, the egg is absorbing nutrients through touch" She'd talked with Akako before the witch had left.

"Oh" Kaito blinked "I'll have to eat a lot of food then..."

Ai nodded "That would be advisable, it's not dangerous, but could become dangerous if the contact is constant without proper meal supplementation"

"Right, so sharing the egg is actually recommended" So he'd just need to make sure everyone ate extra well. That was fine.

Chapter 76: Chapter 76 Theft Plan of Sugar

Notes:

Written December 5 2021
Posted on Wattpad December 20 2021
Posted here March 25 2022

Chapter Text

Days passed, and they soon turned into weeks. Thankfully both Saguru and Shinichi had only gotten minor injuries while chasing criminals, said injuries were quickly healed with magic. Aoko and surprisingly Akako ended up taking Yozora skating a few times. Sometimes Kaito joined, but only when someone was around to hold the egg for him. The magician refused to even consider taking the egg to a skating rink. It was just too risky.

The egg itself had grown quite large, around the size of a toddler. It was also harder to carry it with how weirdly heavy it was. 20 pounds didn't seem like much, but holding it for too long could take its toll on you. At first the weight had concerned everyone but Akako, that is until the witch had just stated that it was a safety mechanism to prevent it's absence from going unnoticed. The weight was caused by magic, not the infant inside the egg.

"Do you really think that it's going to hatch soon?" Yozora inquired, sitting on the couch, slightly leaning against the egg.

Kaito nodded, indigos soft. He was sitting on Yozora's other side. The girl was officially his kid, the paperwork had been completed and fast tracked "I felt it move this morning" It had startled him so bad that he'd almost dropped it. Sadly Saguru had already gone to work at that point in time.

Yozora gave Kaito a flat look "You do know that humans can feel their babies long before they're born right?"

"Of course I do" Kaito snorted "I'm a doctor"

"Well then it might be similar with the egg" Yozora offered.

Kaito shook his head "No, I can just feel it" His wings fluffed up a bit in excitement.

Yozora jolted in surprise when the egg seemed to wiggle at Kaito's words "...If you say so..." Magic was confusing. It was hard to tell if she should believe Kaito or not.

"I know so" Kaito affirmed, grinning. He just hoped that the egg hatched while Saguru was home. Unlike with normal 'births' the blond wouldn't be able to use the excuse of his partner was in labour. While they'd edited his records to make it possible for them to have a biological child together, it would be really awkward if it was a false alarm and they had no infant to show off. His recent absence would help them fabricate the tale of them having kept the 'pregnancy' a secret. Everyone who mattered knew that he was good at hiding things, so it would be very plausible. Kaito snickered at Yozora's reaction "I'm going to invite Shinichi over for dinner"

"Okay" Yozora smiled. Last week they went to Shinichi's house for dinner, it had been nice. She'd met the sleuth's childhood friend Ran. Ran had been cool, especially with how she'd offered to teach her karate. Yozora hummed "Can we have lasagna? With garlic bread and cheese?"

"With salad, and a nutrient drink, yes" Kaito agreed. He really liked the dish, and requiring more food was nice, it meant that they got to eat more tasty food without consequences.

Yozora nodded in agreement. Kaito made good salads, and topping them with bacon bits and cheese was great. It made up for the leafy bits, she didn't care for lettuce. She glanced over at the egg, noting that Fluffy had hopped up and snuggled against it. The kitten loved the heat the egg provided "Can we have some pie afterwards?" Yozora smiled "I've been holding the egg the most today... and a fruit pie should be nutritious"

Kaito smirked "Is that why you insisted on having the egg for yourself today?" The pie was supposed to be for tomorrow.

Slate gleamed with amusement "Maybe, that and the egg attracts fluffy to me. Yesterday one of her paws stretched out to my lap while she was sleeping" The kitten hadn't been pressed against her in a cuddle, but it was progress!

"We can have the blueberry pie tonight and the strawberry tomorrow"

"Wait, there were two pies?" Yozora hadn't noticed.

Kaito shrugged "I suspected that you might try to get pie tonight so I got two" He'd originally gotten some pie for Aoko and Akako's visit. He reached over and took the egg "I should have gotten a lemon pie instead, but I'll just eat Shinichi's share if he doesn't want it" Actually, not getting a lemon pie was good, it meant that he could have more pie for himself.

Fluffy growled at the loss of the egg, shooting Kaito a dark glare.

"Or I could have his share"

Kaito shook his head "Nope, if you're still hungry after pie, you can have another nutrient shake" Saguru was always scolding him for giving Yozora so much sugar, he should really start to listen to him more.

She hadn't expected her plan to backfire like this "Could the second shake have some ice cream in it?"

The vanilla ice cream was Saguru's... Kaito smiled "Sure, but only vanilla since it'll go best with fruit"

"Cookie dough could work just as good, the colour is similar" It was also tastier than vanilla.

Kaito grimaced "I've tried that, trust me, it didn't taste good" Saguru had given him such an exasperated look too, forcing him to drink it all instead of wasting food after he'd specifically told him that trying it would be a very bad idea.

Yozora pouted, knowing that the other was telling the truth "Fine I'll eat Saguru's ice cream instead of yours" They were her parents, and she cared for them. But she still hasn't decided on what she wanted to call them yet. The only name that'd been taken off the list was Daddy, because that name was connected to creepy things that she didn't want associated with either of them.

"It's not my fault that chocolate doesn't mix well with every fruit" Kaito teased, glad that he preferred chocolate over vanilla. Saguru's ice cream was always being dug into because of how versatile it was. It didn't matter that they could always buy more, Kaito liked to keep his chocolate for himself.

"I could just have strawberries, blueberries, and bananas with chocolate ice cream for my shake" Yozora countered playfully.

Chapter 77: Chapter 77

Notes:

Written December 11 2021
Posted on Wattpad January 3 2022
Posted here April 2 2022

Chapter Text

When Saguru came home, he brought Shinichi with him. The sleuth was rarely one to turn down free food... Well free food from people that he trusted. Saguru smiled when he spotted both Kaito and Yozora sitting on the couch, sharing a blanket as they watched the American cartoon Danny Phantom. The house smelt nice, telling him that dinner was already in the oven.

"The two of you look comfy" Saguru stated, smiling softly. Yozora had improved a lot when it came to physical contact.

"I think Yozora has actually caught up with the schoolwork for people her age" Kaito offered, motioning a hand towards some textbooks. A lot of the stuff was often repeated every year, and the girl seemed to have a good grasp on most of it.

"That's great" Shinichi offered a smile of his own, proud of how smart Yozora was.

Yozora blushed at the praise "Maybe I could try actual school part time next year" It was a scary prospect, but she didn't want to spend the rest of her life afraid of being around people. She was getting better, she's accompanied both Saguru and Kaito to the store before! She's even accompanied Shinichi, Aoko, and Akako to the store.

Kaito smiled "If you're up for it then sure" The thought of sending Yozora to school made him happy. It was something almost all parents got to do! Now that he had a child, there were so many things they could do. He didn't want to force Yozora to go to school though.

"Is that lasagna I smell?" Shinichi inquired, intrigued. It'd been a while since he'd eaten the dish.

Yozora nodded "Yup, I helped layer it. It also has some of Kaito's humanely sourced beef so it's not vegetarian" Kaito's vegetarian dishes were nice, but real meat was better in her opinion.

Saguru blinked "Does that mean we need to pick some more up sometime?" Kaito was the one that kept track of the fancy meats.

"There's some left, but not a lot so we should probably buy more" Kaito replied, smiling as he uncovered the egg.

Azure widened "It's moving a lot"

Kaito nodded "Yup, I want it to hatch today" He wanted to meet their second child.

The blond checked the time, it was 6pm "When would be the ideal time for me to do up the garlic bread?" He didn't know what time the lasagna had been put in.

Checking the time himself, Kaito smiled "Now would actually be good. Yozora grated some extra cheese so make sure to use that.

"Right" Saguru headed towards the kitchen.

Since two people doing up garlic bread would be overkill, Shinichi sat down on the couch, leaving some space between himself and Yozora "Today turned out great, there were only five murders" The food smell was starting to make him hungry.

Yozora's eyes lit up "That's great, no wonder you two got back at a decent time" She'd grown used to the abnormal amounts of murders that occurred in Beika. Yozora had also stopped wondering why the population wasn't decreasing. Surely there were more deaths than births in Beika... "Kaito would have pouted if you guys made him wait too long" Just because Kaito understood why they could be late, it didn't mean that the magician wouldn't pout.

"Of course I would have" Kaito pouted, crossing his arms "I didn't want them to miss the egg hatching"

Shinichi blinked "You're that convinced that it's going to happen tonight?" It seemed a little iffy... But the egg was wiggling quite a bit.

"I'm positive" Kaito stated "I just know that it will" Indigos softened "I can sense that they're practically ready to come out" If the egg broke right now, the child inside would be perfectly fine.

Yozora stared blankly at Kaito "What?"

Kaito tilted his head in confusion "It's like how I can sense injuries"

Shinichi frowned "Then why were you all excited about wondering when it'll hatch?" It made no sense if Kaito already knew.

"Ah" Kaito grinned "The growth wasn't linear, nor did it follow any sort of pattern. The final bits happened today while you guys were at work"

Yozora perked up, eyeing the wiggling egg "So you know it's gender?"

"Saguru and I know the gender, yes" Indigos glinted mischievously "I discovered it a week ago" Sadly he didn't know what they would look like, at least not until they were born.

"Keeping it a secret isn't fair" Yozora pouted, she wanted to know if she'd get a sister or brother. She hoped that it was a sister.

Azure narrowed suspiciously "You bought both male and female baby clothes a few days ago"

Kaito smirked "So? Can't I have some fun planning embarrassing baby photos?" It wasn't like newborn babies really looked either male or female once they had a diaper on them.

Yozora grimaced, suddenly glad that it was too late for Kaito to do such things to her. She was old enough to pick out her own clothes. Now she really wanted a sister, if only to spare the poor kid some embarrassment. Some of the dresses were adorable.

"Dinner is done" Saguru stated as he walked into the living room.

"You know, you could have waited out here with us for it to finish cooking" Kaito sighed, scooping up the egg as he stood up.

Saguru eyed the egg curiously "I know, but I wanted to make sure the garlic bread was just right" Not too crunchy, but not too soggy, just a tad crunchy.

"It smells so good" Yozora gushed, she was a fan of the smell of cooked garlic.

"And it's going to taste just as good" Kaito added, hurrying past Saguru to fetch the salad dressing. The salad had been put together, just without the dressing to prevent it from going soggy.

Yozora eyed the dressing in Kaito's hands "Most of it will be amazing"

Shinichi snickered "Salad is good once in a while" Though he was looking forward to the pasta the most.

Indigos gleamed "Remember there's pie"

"Why would I forget?" Yozora asked incredulously, pulling out everyone's nutrient drinks from the fridge. Hers had extra strawberries, because she'd helped to put them together.

"So I wasn't imagining things when I noticed that there were two pies..." Saguru mused half to himself.

Chapter 78: Chapter 78 Viridian

Notes:

Written December 19 2021
Posted on Wattpad January 10 2022
Posted here April 2 2022

Chapter Text

Dinner ended up as a great success, and now Yozora was happily eating Shinichi's share of pie since the sleuth had decided to eat extra lasagna instead. Shinichi liked blueberry pie, just not as much as he did lemon pie. Seeing Yozora's hopeful expression had made him relinquish the pie to her. The lasagna was great anyways so it hadn't been that big of a loss for him since he still got to eat more good food.

"You shouldn't have given her your pie" Saguru sighed "She already eats enough sweets as it is" Because he had no doubt that Kaito supplied her with extra sugary things off and on.

The sleuth just shrugged "Let her have some extra treats, she won't be an only child for much longer" Even if Yozora's situation was unique in that she'd joined the family knowing that she'd most likely have a lot of siblings.

Saguru smiled, looking down at the egg that was trembling in his hold "True..." It was odd, he'd never imagined that an egg could move as much as this one was. It moved so much that putting it down seemed to be risky since it could roll itself around. Thankfully even if that did happen, their child would be mostly fine.

Azure gleamed "It would be funny if it hatched while Kaito was busy building the 'perfect' nest for it" The magician had been hit with the sudden urge to make a nest right after dinner. Kaito's share of the pie was sitting safely in the fridge for when he was done. Yozora had asked for it as well, but Saguru had declined despite Kaito not being there to defend the pie.

"No, it would have been horrible!" Kaito huffed, socked feet skidding a bit on the floor as he burst in the room. He'd completed the perfect nest for his and Saguru's first infant child. Yozora was their first child, so this would be their first infant child "I built the nest on our bed" Kaito said, quickly snatching the egg from Saguru. It glowed a bit when he picked it up "Saguru come, I want the baby to see the both of us first" He ran out of the kitchen.

The blond blinked in confusion "What"

Yozora Gave him a quick shove "Go! Kaito was running for a reason wasn't he?" It took a second, but Saguru quickly followed after Kaito. Yozora glanced at Shinichi "I wanna see too, I'm going to wait outside the door" She understood that they were concerned about possible imprinting, so she didn't mind that they wanted them to keep away for a bit. This would also be the first time that she'll see a baby brought into the world safely, even if it was different than usual. Growing up, she'd known that babies brought sadness due to the circumstances that she'd been living in.

"I'm-" Shinichi paused at the sound of a crying baby. He smiled "It should be good to head up now I guess" If imprinting was a thing, then it should have already happened by now. They both headed upstairs. By the time they cleared the stairs, the crying had stopped.

"You guys need to see him" Kaito called softly from the room.

Yozora ran ahead the last bit "Oh he's so cute!" She couldn't help but giggle as she laid eyes on the tiny baby in Kaito's arms. The infant looked like a blond version of Shinichi, without the cowlicks and viridian eyes instead of azure. She tilted her head a bit "His eyes are a surprise though..." They were pretty, bluish green.

"He really is cute" Shinichi agreed as he walked up to them. The eye colour didn't match their genetics, but magic was probably in play.

Kaito grinned, indigos soft "Meet Hakuro Conan" Their name choice was perfect, especially with their son's appearance.

Shinichi blinked, startled "Hakuro Conan?" He inquired softly. Shocked that they'd decided to name their first son after him.

Saguru nodded, eyes just as soft as Kaito's "Of course, you're our best friend. Someone we can rely on and care about" He held his arms out to Kaito, the magician pouted but gently transferred Conan to Saguru's arms "We made the decision the moment we knew that we were having a baby boy"

The sleuth smiled, touched and was unable to say anything in response to that. They'd chosen to name their first son after him... He'd never thought that someone would do that for him.

"Does he have no wings?" Yozora asked. She hadn't seen any, but Conan was also swaddled in a soft looking pink blanket. She was pretty sure that Kaito had chosen the colour just to be silly.

Kaito smirked "Unlike me, he was born with the ability to hide his wings" So they wouldn't have to make another deal or risk crushing Conan's wings.

Yozora perked up "What colour are they? Black?"

Saguru nodded "Conan's wings are indeed black" The dark colour was rather striking against Conan's light colouring "He'll have to be kept at home until he learns how to keep them hidden and why he needs to do so" Saguru breathed "I think clothing should suffice to keep them in, until his body realizes that he can make his wings go through things"

"So no beach or those splash pad things" Yozora blinked "And no backyard pool"

"He wouldn't be able to enjoy those things properly for a long time anyways" Shinichi snorted, amused at Yozora's statement.

"Conan doesn't have white magic" Kaito stated softly, reaching over to play with Conan's hair "Akako was right about her presence affecting him" He was glad. He was lucky that nobody had gone after him, but having two white magic users in the same place? That would just be asking for trouble "I think he has green magic, Akako once said that my- the Winged were connected to either white or green magic" Or at least he was, he majored in white magic though, barely able to make a breeze outside of extreme circumstances. He'd only truly used his wind abilities to escape from those cultists a few years back, clearing the air and dousing the flames.

Chapter 79: Chapter 79 End

Notes:

Written January 6 2022
Posted on Wattpad January 17 2022
Posted here April 8 2022

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The rest of the night was filled with excitement and happiness, though eventually they did all have to go to sleep. The sleep was good, and then Kaito woke up to see that the sun had risen, almost having a heart attack as he realized that Conan hadn't woken either of them up for food. Thankfully, Conan had not passed away in his sleep like Kaito had feared.

"We're going to have to set alarms" Kaito breathed, still tense from the early morning scare. He was currently bottle feeding Conan, the tiny infant was dressed in a kitten suit, viridian eyes narrowed in focus as he sucked on the rubber nipple.

Saguru nodded "It's highly doubtful that the both of us slept through any of Conan's cries" They were both somewhat light sleepers, especially when it came to screams. Screams usually meant danger or death, so they always woke whenever they heard screams.

"I didn't hear anything either" Yozora added, eyeing the infant curiously. Conan looked so cute dressed in that kitten outfit. She'd been shocked when she'd seen the price tag. It was expensive for a piece of clothing that Conan would quickly grow out of. No wonder all the babies she'd gotten a close look at in person had been unclothed. Baby clothes were expensive.

Kaito offered a small smile "He's still healthy thankfully" He pulled the bottle back to give Conan a break. Conan wasn't having it, viridian eyes narrowed as Conan clumsily tried to reach for the bottle "Hush" Kaito breathed with a smile, poking the tip of Conan's nose "Drinking too fast is bad for you" Conan's pouty face was adorable.

The sound of the doorbell going off cut off what Saguru was going to say. The blond glanced at the pancakes he'd been making "I'll answer the door" Kaito nodded as Yozora went over to monitor the pancakes. She'd learned how to make them, Kaito had taught her.

When Saguru opened the door he was surprised to see both Akako and Aoko... Both of them were holding an infant "Um" A little startled, Saguru stepped to the side "Come in, breakfast is almost ready" It was a good thing that he'd decided to cook a bunch of pancakes for leftovers.

"You look so surprised" Aoko laughed as she entered the house. Akako had been right, keeping it a surprise was fun.

At the sound of Aoko's voice, Kaito grinned, hurrying out of the kitchen with Conan in tow. He wanted to show off his and Saguru's newest addition "Aoko! Conan hatched!" The magician suddenly faltered, indigos going wide "You have babies too!"

Akako smirked "We wanted them to be in the same school year as your son, so we chose to have both of Murasaki and Shinpiko enter the world a day before Conan was due" Being a day older would give their children some harmless bragging rights for when they were old enough to argue about stupid things.

Kaito let out a snort "A day older? Really?" It was petty and childish "Having the same birthday would have been cooler you know" He teased. Coming closer to see the two children. They both had heterochromia, one eye indigo and the other one azure. Though the colours were swapped as if in a mirror. Both children had red hair, though the girl's was straight like Akako's and the boy had messy hair like Aoko. He smiled at the boy since he was closest "Is this Shinpiko or Murasaki?"

Aoko smiled "This is Murasaki" She brought Murasaki up to Conan's height so both infants could see each other "Red and blue makes purple after all"

Saguru smiled at Shinpiko, the girl was cute "Does Shinpiko have a meaningful origin as well?" He had a vague idea, but wasn't completely sure.

Akako nodded "She resembled Kudo, so we thought it fitting" The kanji for mysteries and child. A fitting name for a red witch since witches were to be mysterious. The sleuth had also contributed to their DNA.

"Look Conan, it's your future friends" Kaito cooed, the three looked similar if not for their colouration. Though that's what happened when two of the DNA providers looked similar enough to be twins. Hell, even he and Aoko looked quite similar.

"Since I was left on pancake duty, I took some liberty and made chocolate chip ones" Yozora called.

Kaito perked up "Oh! Thanks Yozora"

Yozora smirked "Breakfast is ready" She shot Kaito a mischievous smile "I ate all of the chocolate chip ones before coming out here"

Aoko laughed "That's awesome Yozora-chan"

The girl giggled, then turned her attention to the new infants "They're adorable" Babies were so much cuter than she remembered them to be. Everyone moved into the kitchen, with Kaito handing Conan over to Saguru before going to fetch two more baby seats for Murasaki and Shinpiko to rest in.

Yozora couldn't help but feel happy and safe surrounded by everyone. They'd all been strangers to her not too long ago, but she actually felt comfortable around everyone. Seeing the babies didn't bring back as many bad memories as she'd been worried about. Conan, Shinpiko, and Murasaki all dressed up in their cute baby clothes was nothing like when she'd seen babies in the past.

It made her happy, and hopeful. Her life had changed so much and she hadn't even known any of them for a year. By the time school enrollment came around next year, Yozora was sure that she'd be ready. If so much was able to be changed in less than a year with everyone, then by the time another year has passed, many more changes are bound to have happened.

Saguru eyed Yozora, the girl had just been sitting quietly as they ate "Is something wrong?"

Yozora smiled, shaking her head "No, I'm just thinking about how much my life has changed since meeting you guys" She blushed, looking away "I love my mom, but she'd be elated to find out that I was lucky enough to join a family like this" Her mom had always wanted a better future for her "I have great dads"

Kaito's eyes lit up as if Yozora had hung the moon "We have an awesome daughter!" His eyes were teary.

"Indeed" Saguru smiled, eyes soft.

Notes:

Finally the end~ This was enjoyable to write ^-^

PLEASE COMMENT... I love comments

Notes:

This book is approximately 10 or more chappys ahead on Wattpad because it's more writer friendly with comments

https://www.wattpad.com/854255827-his-magic-magic-kaito-1-love

Series this work belongs to: