Actions

Work Header

Revenge Abduction

Chapter 5: The Consequences of the Car Park Bomb

Summary:

We return back to the NCIS Car Park, were moments before, the bomb had gone off in Sloane's car. What happened to Nick and Ellie? Is Kasie okay? Where was McGee all this time? Answers are being demanded...

Notes:

Cool. We now have Ellie and Nick in the story, with McGee's brains.
Feel free to leave some comments or kudos!

Chapter Text

After the initial blast of energy passed, I tentatively lifted his head up, and saw Kasie waving her hands frantically, despite what appeared to be blood coming from her left shoulder. She was saying something, but the explosion had muffled the sound – it took me a while to realise that she was pointing at me, and the river of blood seeping down my shirt from what I thought was shrapnel in my collarbone. But I didn’t care for that yet – I needed to make sure Ellie was fine.

I stared down, finally, at Ellie, who had whimpered something unintelligible almost instantaneously to the explosion. Rolling off of Ellie, who then proceeded to get up. She looked relatively unscathed, except for perhaps a bump on her head when I had tackled her to the ground, but her right leg did not fit the picture – it too was bleeding, and I could see the effort Ellie was putting in to not show her pain. She must have noted the concern in my eyes.
“I’ll live Nick,” she stated, “but I do think we need to go and get you checked-up”.

Kasie must have seemingly had the same idea, as she appeared with a first aid kit, telling us that EMTs were already on their way, and Vance had been informed of what had happened.

“We need to find out what is going on,” I said, perhaps a little too harshly, for both Kasie and Ellie noted my concern, but mentioned that he really needed to go to a hospital. I was preparing to ignore their words, but was interrupted by yet another fountain of wisdom – McGee himself, whom Kasie must have dragged along with her when she went for the kit.

“Wha-” I began, but he cut me off.

“Nick, even I’m not a doctor, I can see that if you don’t get this checked out, you won’t be able to help out AT ALL!” McGee said, in his ‘I’m now in command’ tone, which meant he was really down for business. I found it best in these situations to not fight against it, and stubbornly agreed to go to the hospital.

“You too Ellie.” McGee added, “As soon as you’re cleared to come back, you can. But for now, my main priority is for both of you to be well enough so we have enough people to work out this mess. Trust me, Kasie and I will hold down the fort, along with Vance when he turns up. Now, you go. And that’s an order.”

And well-timed order it was, for the EMTs had arrived, and whisked me and Ellie away to be checked out.

*

With Ellie and Nick gone, it was down to me and McGee to make sure everything was in order.

“Kasie, I need you to run me down again as to what happened here.” McGee asked, bringing me out of my mental listing session.

I started from the top, mentioning what she had found with Ellie and Nick, how there was some fault with Sloane’s car, and that neither her nor Gibbs were reachable on their cells. Then how she had started to go back towards her car after one of them suggested to not raise a panic when she heard Nick yell out about a bomb, causing her to hit the deck seconds before Sloane’s car decimated.

“That’s basically it.” I added, finishing of my account.

“Okay. So from what I can tell the bomb was placed in the driver’s side, but we still need work out how it was set off, as you were underneath the car, and both Ellie and Nick were poking in Sloane’s car, but it didn’t go off, for which I’m grateful.” McGee summarised, “So here’s what we’re going to do. Since a lot of the techs are busy with the evidence from this morning’s drug case, I’m going to have to ask you to grab only one tech to help you here to try and get some evidence and reasons for why Sloane’s car was the one with the bomb – it was placed inside, so definitely a targeted bombing attempt. But why Sloane? I guess I’ll work on that. There is no way I’m starting my vacation until we try to get a hold of Sloane and Gibbs. I’ll go play with the security cameras, and brief Vance when he comes back.”

McGee headed down the stairs, whilst I turned to face what was left of Sloane’s car, musing over where to start to piece the pieces together. To be honest, it didn’t really matter, but I did agree with McGee that I needed more than one pair of hands, so I called up one of the tech interns to the car park who had at least some experience with explosives.

“We’ll find out what’s going on.” I whispered, unsure of whether this was a promise we’d be able to fulfill in time.