Actions

Work Header

A Battle of Wits

Summary:

Summary: Set right after episode 24. Spoilers for the end of the series. What really happened on the bridge, and what followed.

Chapter 1: Confrontation

Summary:

The gang confronts Huo Wensi after his escape from prison. Benjamin mulls over his feelings and watches over an injured Luo Fei.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Get down!” Someone yells, and Benjamin is too slow to react.

Even though they’re standing at a safe distance from the bomb when it goes off, Benjamin struggles to keep his footing as he feels the impact of the explosion. Still dizzy from the previous two, he goes down on one knee. The smoke is too thick and, for a distressing moment, panic overcomes Benjamin when he cannot find Luo Fei through the dark clouds. Squinting slightly, he thinks he spots him splayed out on the cement next to the stolen police car, which is now in flames. He seems to still be in one piece, but Benjamin can’t tell if he’s injured, and he knows for a fact that Luo Fei is still too close to that madman Huo Wensi for comfort.

Suddenly, the truth hits him.

Huo Wensi had been counting on the fact that Luo Fei would catch on quickly about his little game. Indeed, the therapist had planned for the worst-case scenario and calculated that he would not be able to get far before the police were on his tail, which was why he had picked this unlikely route. From the very start, he had intended to lead them here into his carefully laid trap, and he meant for them to be following after him close behind. That way, he could have Luo Fei come to the conclusion that the four bombs had been equally spread out along the length of the bridge, when in reality, Huo Wensi had planted half of the devices in the center, while the rest of them lied on the East side, beneath their feet.

If Luo Fei hadn’t told us to stay back, all three of us would be dead by now, Benjamin thinks, shivering.

Once the East-side bombs had been set off, Luo Fei would determine that Huo Wensi had nowhere to run, and that as long as Luo Fei stayed clear of the West end, he would be out of harm’s way.

Then, he would step forward to his death, right into the blast radius.

What Huo Wensi hadn’t foreseen was that Luo Fei himself might see through his deception.

Luo Fei’s original assumption might have been incorrect, but if one thing could be said about the detective, it was that he was quick on his feet. Benjamin had always admired that about him: even when Luo Fei was wrong, which wasn’t a regular occurrence at all, he could easily adapt to any situation. He was also an expert at reading people, a skill that he shared with their perpetrator. But Huo Wensi was only human. As he was getting nearer to his prize, so close to victory, Huo Wensi had gotten overly confident and let his act slip up a bit, betraying his plans.

Benjamin had noticed how the famous therapist had started backing away from Luo Fei. That didn’t make any sense because the road was blocked and there were dozens of police officers behind, waiting to collect him if he so much as made an attempt to escape. No, Huo Wensi was deliberately moving away from the spot where Luo Fei was standing, and at the same time, luring Luo Fei towards him... and the remaining explosives.

Luo Fei must have caught on to that in extremis because he had started tracing his steps back and broken into a run.

That was when the last two bombs had blown up.

Luo Fei had been close enough to the blast to suffer injuries, but if he was lucky, his fast thinking might have saved him from meeting his end right there and then.

Benjamin is afraid to find out, but he can’t just stand there.

He has to do something.

Ignoring the shrill ringing in his ears that hasn’t receded yet, as well as everyone’s cries of protest telling him not to go—do they honestly expect him to stay here and wait?—Benjamin stumbles to his feet and bolts out without looking back. Benjamin feels slightly disoriented and his lungs burn as he breathes in the dust and particles in the air, his knees almost giving out under him before he has the chance to reach his destination. But he can’t stop now.

He needs to get to Luo Fei. Quick.

“Luo Fei! Luo Fei!

After covering the short distance to Luo Fei’s motionless body, Benjamin finally drops to his knees next to Luo Fei and turns him over carefully, checking him for injuries.

Apart from an ugly gash in Luo Fei’s side made by flying debris—a long sharp fragment which must come from the car and which is lodged scaringly close to one of his kidneys—half of Luo Fei’s face is covered in blood. Being extremely careful not to make his injuries worse, Benjamin checks Luo Fei’s head for trauma, gently feeling Luo Fei’s temple and scalp with his fingers until he finds the source of the bleeding. Thankfully, the wound doesn’t look too severe, but Luo Fei might have a concussion, and whatever internal damage might have been incurred by the blast requires immediate attention.

That gaping cut in Luo Fei’s side worries him as well.

Luo Fei groans and tries to sit up, but Benjamin holds him firmly in place. “Don’t move, Luo Fei. It’s alright. I’ve got you.” Cradling Luo Fei loosely in his arms, Benjamin brushes his blood-soaked bangs out of his eyes and kisses his forehead, trying to keep his tone of voice level so as not to alert him. “You’ll be fine. Trust me.” Benjamin may sound like he’s trying to soothe Luo Fei, but the truth is, the one he’s really trying to reassure is himself.

Luo Fei takes a shuddering breath, his features twisting in agony, then passes out.

“Luo Fei!”

Benjamin swears under his breath as Luo Fei’s inanimate body slumps down against his leg, then closes his eyes and inhales deeply. As he prepares himself to get Luo Fei to safety, away from this dreadful place, he suddenly feels a twinge of pain so sharp in his shoulder that he almost misses the cracking sound of a gun being fired. Startled, he clutches his burning shoulder with one hand, looking up with wide eyes in search of the shooter, and finds Huo Wensi has been standing there all along, just a few feet away, with his pistol pointed at them. It seems that, upon seeing that his plan had failed, knowing full well that he had no chance of getting away and that he would not be given a second chance to lead his plan to fruition once he was caught, Huo Wensi was seized with panic and resolved to take extreme measures.

To Benjamin’s horror, Huo Wensi fires his gun again.

Benjamin throws himself over Luo Fei with the speed and reflexes that his police training has drilled into his body, and the bullet hisses dangerously close over them. Sorry, he apologizes silently, though Luo Fei can’t have felt the pain.

With his heart thumping in his ears, Benjamin continues to shield Luo Fei from any potential incoming projectile.

Almost immediately after, there comes the sound of a third bullet. It whizzes past Benjamin who is still bent over Luo Fei’s prostrate form, but this time it’s coming from the other direction. Benjamin raises his head warily, just in time to see Huo Wensi fall to his knees and topple over. Benjamin isn’t sure if the man is dead, and frankly, he couldn’t care less. If the therapist does survive this, he doesn’t think he can ever forgive him for hurting Luo Fei.

As Benjamin ponders this, Xiaoman arrives by his side with Ye Changqing in tow, worry written all over her face.

“Benjamin! Are you alright?” Xiaoman asks Benjamin as she grabs his arm to inspect his wound.

Oh, that. He had almost forgotten about it.

Benjamin slips his jacket off gingerly and examines his shoulder through his shirt, figuring that the bullet must have only grazed the skin, merely ripping through the fabric. Nothing life-threatening, from what he can see.

“I’m fine, but Luo Fei is badly injured. Can you help me carry him to the car? We need to take him to a hospital.”

Xiaoman gives him a determined nod. “Of course. Get his arms; I’ll get his legs.”

The two start lifting Luo Fei off the ground to carry him away, but a searing pain suddenly tears through Benjamin’s shoulder with the effort and he flinches, forced to put Luo Fei down. Xiaoman looks at him with concern. “You’re hurt. Let me and Ye Changqing handle this, okay? Can you make it to the car on your own?” Benjamin merely grunts in response, not trusting himself to speak. “Alright, be careful. We’ll meet up there.”

With a lump in his throat, Benjamin watches helplessly as his two colleagues carry off the man he loves.

Then, he starts heading towards the car.

******

Benjamin stares at the tube poking out of his vein and then at the intravenous drip connected to it.

His shoulder throbs dully.

Benjamin sighs, thinking of how he had ended up here.

During the trip to the hospital, Benjamin had sat at the back of the car with Luo Fei lying in his lap, bleeding all over the seat and Benjamin’s slate-colored trousers. After Luo Fei had lost consciousness, he hadn’t woken again, which was alarming given the wound that he had sustained to his head. Thankfully, that gaping hole had since closed up. However, the same couldn’t be said about his side gash, which was still leaking blood at a slow and steady pace.

Upon their arrival, they had been separated: Luo Fei being rushed into intensive care, while the rest of them were deemed less serious cases, but still subjected to a thorough examination.

Despite a slight shortness of breath due to the smoke and remnants of that annoying ringing in their ears to remind them of the afternoon’s events, there hadn’t been anything significant to report. In spite of that, they had been instructed to at least spend the night, so that they could be monitored in case their condition worsened. As for Benjamin, he had said so himself: though it stung pretty badly, his shoulder wasn’t anything to worry about.

But all the same, it had been treated and patched up as needed, and it was better now. The pain was much less acute.

******

Benjamin hasn’t seen Luo Fei again, nor has he received any news about his medical state.

He is growing quite restless. Worried, even.

Benjamin thinks for a second, then makes up his mind.

Careful not to make any noise, Benjamin slides out of the bed and into a pair of slippers placed by the side of his bed, then stands up tentatively. Deciding that his legs are strong enough to hold his own weight, he starts walking carefully towards the door with his IV drip in tow. When he reaches the dim-lighted corridor, he looks both ways to make sure the coast is clear and quietly slips out of the room in search of Luo Fei.

Benjamin has no luck with the first two rooms he passes, but upon reaching the third one, he stops in his tracks.

The soft glow of the moon filtering through the blinds illuminates a familiar outline.

Feeling his heart tighten in his chest, Benjamin trudges forward, his slippers shuffling in the dark.

Luo Fei is deeply asleep.

Pulling up a chair, Benjamin slowly settles down onto the hard seat, finally allowing himself to breathe properly again. Luo Fei is very still, but his chest is moving up and down with his respiration, and his condition appears to be stable. Benjamin will have to check his bandages and look into what kind of medicine they are giving him when the sun is up, but for now he is content, not to mention enormously relieved.

Sighing again, Benjamin reaches forward to take Luo Fei’s hand in his, squeezing it gently.

In the wan light, the paleness of Luo Fei’s complexion is further enhanced by the ebony of his hair. Even his lips are paper-colored and parched, having lost their usual fire. Benjamin wants to kiss them and give them life again.

For all his ghostly beauty, Luo Fei looks unbelievably fragile, which is doing nothing to ease Benjamin’s worries.

Why do you always have to play the hero and make me worry about you...

With the work he does, Benjamin is well-acquainted with death. His days are filled with graphic images of mutilated corpses and the smell of formalin, and apart from the times when Luo Fei or Xiaoman come to visit him, his only companions are of the non-living. Benjamin doesn’t mind, most of the time. He has long grown accustomed to this macabre lifestyle. Death has become so ordinary to him that he even takes his meals in the autopsy room, and he had been sleeping there for a very long time when Luo Fei had come and changed that.

And yet...

Sometimes, when his mind wanders, Benjamin begins to imagine a day when someone dear to him might end up on his dissection table. Someone like Xiaoman, or someone like...

He tries to ignore it, but it’s easier said than done when his days are filled with dead bodies, and his heart with Luo Fei.

Benjamin has this intense fear that one day, when Luo Fei runs out to save the day again, he might not come back in one piece. That the next time Luo Fei leaves on a dangerous mission, he might be returned to Benjamin with his feet first, pale and lifeless, stiff and cold, and then Benjamin will be forced to take him apart and put him back together himself. This is part of the reason why he follows him across the city like his own shadow: to prevent this from ever becoming a reality. But neither of them is invincible, and Benjamin knows he can’t protect Luo Fei forever.

No one can escape death, especially in this line of work.

He had tried to stop him earlier that day, but Luo Fei hadn’t let him get in the way. The truth is that Luo Fei is an honorable man, much too noble for his own sake, whereas Benjamin had only been thinking about himself. But he doesn’t care what kind of person that makes him. Benjamin can’t bear to lose Luo Fei. He is all he has.

Benjamin grasps Luo Fei’s hand a little tighter, rubbing his thumb along the ridge of his knuckles.

Today, Benjamin’s worst nightmare had almost come true.

No one could blame him if he was having trouble falling asleep tonight.

Benjamin knows that Luo Fei needs to rest, but some selfish part of him wants to wake him up, just so he can make sure that Luo Fei is alright. But Luo Fei doesn’t even stir when Benjamin speaks, his voice barely over a whisper. “You didn’t have to apprehend Huo Wensi alone. Why do you always put yourself at risk?”

It’s comforting to voice these thoughts, but Benjamin almost instantly regrets his words. That wasn’t fair.

He kisses Luo Fei’s hand apologetically.

“I know, I know. You were only doing the right thing. It’s just that...”

This one-sided conversation between Benjamin and an unconscious Luo Fei is suddenly interrupted as Benjamin catches the muted sound of slippered feet coming down the hallway.

Someone is coming!

In the spur of the moment, Benjamin jumps to his feet and turns to the nearby unoccupied bed, so abruptly that he almost forgets to take the medical apparatus currently attached to him. Ripping the sheets open, he slips underneath the covers and throws the thin blanket over his face, then lies perfectly still, hoping that whoever walks past the room won’t notice that this room’s patient has gained himself a new companion.

The footsteps stop right outside the door and Benjamin holds his breath, his heart hammering in his chest.

Benjamin feels foolish for reacting like a little boy caught in the act of committing mischief, but he’d rather not be found like this, for he’s not sure how he would explain his behavior. Secretly sneaking out of his room to see another man? Wouldn’t that be extremely inappropriate? He could pretend that he was worried about his friend, or that he had nothing better to do in the middle of the night, but the truth of the matter is blatantly obvious and he has enough things on his mind already without having to justify why this nocturnal visit couldn’t wait until the morning.

The footsteps hesitate, then begin to move away until they fade completely into the distance.

Benjamin breathes out a sigh of relief. He should probably go back while he can.

Now that he has seen for himself that Luo Fei is alive and well, maybe he can catch a few hours of sleep before dawn.

Benjamin climbs off the mattress and approaches Luo Fei’s bedside, bending down to cup his cool cheek and place a soft kiss on his lips. As his hand lingers, Benjamin finds that he is unable to go just yet, so he settles down into a crouch and continues to watch Luo Fei deep in slumber as a form of reassurance that he is here in the flesh, warm and alive. Benjamin stays like this for a moment before he finally manages to tear himself away.

“Alright. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Benjamin returns to his own bed and falls asleep instantly.

He does not dream.

******

The next morning, Luo Fei does not wake up. Nor does he on the following day, or the one after.

Luo Fei has been in a coma for about a week now.

Benjamin takes off his suit jacket and drapes it over the back of the chair before putting down on the seat the book that he brought for himself to pass the time. Xiaoman isn’t here yet: as for Benjamin, he has just returned from Luo Fei’s—and he muses, in a way, his—apartment to retrieve a change of clothes for Luo Fei in case he wakes up today. It is awfully optimistic for him to even consider the idea, but he has to do what he can not to go insane. Benjamin had also taken the opportunity to freshen up, even catching up on some much-needed sleep after passing out on Luo Fei’s couch. Of course, that part of the trip hadn’t been planned.

Anyway, Benjamin feels better than he has in days, given the situation.

After going around the room, checking Luo Fei’s patient sheet for any changes and his bandages for potential infections, while ensuring that everything necessary has been done to guarantee his well-being and comfort, even if Luo Fei probably cannot tell the difference right now, Benjamin finally settles down in his chair, setting the book aside for now as he takes a wet cloth and proceeds to clean Luo Fei’s face meticulously. Benjamin means to do everything in his power to maximize Luo Fei’s chances of waking up.

Also, he likes taking care of Luo Fei, although he would never admit as much.

Things have been moving slowly as of late: there hasn’t been any new case, and so Benjamin has taken leave from work. Officially, he’s using that time to get some much-needed rest. Unofficially, he’s spending it at the hospital and dedicating all his energy and attention to keep watch over Luo Fei. Xiaoman drops by everyday to check how both men are doing, making it her duty to fuss over Benjamin as much as she fusses over Luo Fei, reminding him to sleep and threatening to feed him by force if he doesn’t go down to the cafeteria for a bite.

Benjamin isn’t used to being fussed over. He usually does the fussing himself, but it’s not a bad feeling, to be honest.

As for Huo Wensi...

Well, Huo Wensi is being kept under heavy surveillance, perpetually flanked by guards in some unknown place while he recovers from his wounds. Of course, this is the humane thing to do before sending him back to prison, where he will await his trial. Yet, for Huo Wensi’s sake, Benjamin hopes he never sees him again. Benjamin is not a violent man at all, but if Huo Wensi were to cross his path, he might be tempted to punch him in the face.

In fact, he would not hesitate.

Frowning slightly, Benjamin busies himself with Luo Fei’s IV tube, which hasn’t been set up properly again – Benjamin is going to need to have a conversation with the nurse about this.

Huo Wensi... Benjamin doesn’t like to think about Huo Wensi.

Thinking about Huo Wensi reminds him of that day when he had had to scrape Luo Fei off the ground. No, Benjamin prefers to focus on the present and do everything he can to guarantee Luo Fei’s prompt recovery.

“Ben.”

Benjamin’s hands freeze on Luo Fei’s thin forearm and he looks up from the now perfectly-secured tube and pristine, taped bandage holding it in place, gaping. “Luo Fei.” A familiar pair of eyes, though hazy with sleep, are looking at Benjamin with deep fondness and a glint of mischievousness in them. Resisting the urge to pull Luo Fei into a bone-crushing embrace, for Luo Fei hasn’t fully healed yet, Benjamin settles for his hand, wrapping it with both of his own in a tight grip. Then, Luo Fei smiles at him warmly, and Benjamin feels his heart explode in his chest. Figuratively, of course.

“...Luo Fei. How are you feeling?”

Wincing slightly, Luo Fei grabs his throat to indicate his thirst, and Benjamin reaches for the glass of water he had prepared like every day before this one, holding it up for Luo Fei and wiping off a few runaway drops that escape from the corner of his lips. Luo Fei clears his throat. “Eh, I’ve been better, but not too bad, with you taking care of me and all.”

The slightest hint of a blush spreads over Benjamin’s cheeks, and he smiles at Luo Fei shyly. “I didn’t do much, really.”

Not saying anything, Luo Fei only continues to smile at Benjamin, and Benjamin knows that Luo Fei knows better.

“If you say so.”

Grinning, Luo Fei motions for him to get closer. “Ah, Ben. I missed you so much! Come here, come here.”

Benjamin looks at Luo Fei dubiously, then smiles. “You were in a coma.”

“Are you saying you don’t believe me? Would you deny a sick man a bit of love in this cold, harsh world?”

Shaking his head and laughing, Benjamin obliges his capricious lover. More than happy to indulge Luo Fei, but trying not to show his eagerness too much (Luo Fei doesn’t need the encouragement), Benjamin inches his chair a bit closer to Luo Fei and leans forward tentatively, looping his arms around him in a loose embrace. Closing his eyes, Benjamin inhales deeply and rests his chin on Luo Fei’s shoulder, finally at peace. It’s such a wonder how pulling Luo Fei into his arms makes everything better. Truth be told, Benjamin usually avoids human contact like the plague, but he has grown embarrassingly attached to Luo Fei’s displays of affection. That’s right: Benjamin loves hugging Luo Fei.

When Benjamin makes to pull away, Luo Fei grabs the front of his dress shirt to keep him within close proximity and kisses him softly on the mouth, as if he hadn’t been unconscious just five minutes ago.

“What—...”

Though slightly taken aback, Benjamin responds enthusiastically, clutching Luo Fei’s thin frame.

After a while, seeming to have come to his senses and realized where this place is, Benjamin breaks the kiss and sinks back into his seat slowly, appearing both scandalized and strangely delighted at the same time. Luo Fei winks at him.

“Luo Fei. W-What if somebody had—...”

Luo Fei shrugs, looking smug and awfully pleased with himself. “Why should I care?”

Xiaoman grabs this opportunity to come in. Beaming at the scene in front of her, she drops down in the chair on the opposite side of the bed, clasping her hands on her lap. “Oh, keep going, you two. Don’t mind me. I’m not here!”

Luo Fei glares at her. “Seriously, could you knock? Is that too much to ask, or is the concept too vague for you to grasp?”

Completely ignoring him, Xiaoman turns to glance at Benjamin who, red-faced, has sunk deeper into his chair and is staring at a loose thread hanging from Luo Fei’s blanket as though if he doesn’t move, Xiaoman might forget his presence. It’s not working. “Benjamin. That’s a rather unique way to treat a patient. I’ll take good note of it!” She teases Benjamin good-naturedly, then turns to point her finger at Luo Fei in accusation, though her eyes are kind and relieved. “And you, Sleeping Beauty. How long were you planning on keeping us waiting? We were so worried. Benjamin here was on the verge of fading into non-existence.”

Benjamin smiles amiably. “That’s a bit of a stretch, Xiaoman.”

“A bit of a stretch? Luo Fei, Benjamin insisted on coming here every day, and wouldn’t even go home at night. He barely got any sleep over the last few days. I was starting to consider hooking him up to an IV drip like you if this went on. Benjamin doesn't look it, but he’s a very stubborn man.”

Luo Fei smiles at the comment, peering at Benjamin knowingly. “Ha. Should have warned you about that.” Yet this small exchange seems to trigger a reaction in Luo Fei; something clicks in his mind and he faces Benjamin, laying hold of his forearm gently and pulling him closer. “Hold on a sec. Ben, let me get a closer look at you. Did you lose weight again? Aiyo, you’re so thin and pale...” Frowning, Luo Fei reaches forward to grab Benjamin’s chin with his thumb and forefinger and holds up his face, inspecting it from all angles.

Benjamin smiles indulgingly, grabbing his wrist.

“Aren’t you the one lying in that bed? Just focus on getting better. No need to worry about me.”

“But—! Based on my earlier performance, wouldn’t you say I’m at the top of my game?”

I thought you said you were sick. Benjamin muses, half-amused, half-exasperated.

Luo Fei chortles, then groans, regretting his mirth instantly as his week-old wound sends a million knives down his flank. “...—I’m fine, I’m fine.” He hurries to say, raising his hands to stop Benjamin and Xiaoman from rushing over, then winces again as the sudden jerking movement causes yet another wave of pain to wash over him. “...Argh. Damn. I guess I should probably take it easy for the next few days, hm? Speaking of which, what’s the situation right now? Did the police manage to catch Huo Wensi? My memories are a bit fuzzy...”

Benjamin’s expression darkens visibly at the mention of Huo Wensi, before being replaced by a solemn smile.

“The situation is stable for now. I’ll tell you the details later.”

Being denied information in such a way, Luo Fei really wants to protest, but obstinacy makes way for exhaustion and he nods in understanding before sinking back into his pillows, screwing his eyes shut. “Ow.”

Xiaoman shares a look with Benjamin, then stands up from her chair and makes for the door. “Get some sleep, Luo Fei. I’ll be back soon. Oh and, Benjamin? Don’t keep him up too long?”

Benjamin shakes his head, smiling, and watches Xiaoman disappear through the doorway.

Then he brings his attention back to Luo Fei.

“I’ll ask the doctors to give you some medicine to ease the pain and help you sleep.”

Of course, he would monitor very closely the substance being administered.

As promised, Benjamin goes out in search of the doctor in charge of treating Luo Fei who provides the blessed remedy, with Benjamin offering to stay and keep Luo Fei company until the medicine kicks in. As he feels his eyelids gradually becoming heavier, Luo Fei tightens his grip on Benjamin’s hand, gazing up at him sluggishly. Through his hampered vision, the ceiling lights cast a hazy glow around Benjamin’s face, making him look like an angel. Luo Fei smiles softly.

“Ben... Thank you.”

He sleeps.

******

Having just gone out to buy some food to share with everyone—but mostly Luo Fei, for Benjamin does not trust what the hospital gives its patients and Luo Fei requires optimal nutrition—, Benjamin is walking back to the medical institution, breathing in the welcome, cool night air. Although they are not yet entirely out of the woods with the Huo Wensi case, Luo Fei is back with them, and to Benjamin, that is the only thing that really matters.

Benjamin takes the long way back to enjoy the nice weather a little more before returning to the hospital’s aseptic rooms with their dreary white walls. Though, to be fair, he is no stranger to that type of environment.

It had been his life, too—and still is, to some extent.

But things are different now.

In the past few weeks or months that they have been ‘together’, if such a word can be employed, Luo Fei has shown Benjamin so many new sights and colors, and introduced all these other tastes and smells and feelings to him, all of which Benjamin is learning to enjoy as time goes by. Through this deeper relationship that they are building, Luo Fei has taught him that there is a world beyond his morgue, and that it is full of life—and fragile, too.

Benjamin is going to embrace that world for Luo Fei’s sake, but also for himself.

As he passes the reception, Benjamin stops by the front desk, sensing that something is off. The nurses seem agitated, and Benjamin can hear someone—Savoy?—yelling at who he assumes must be an unfortunate trainee who has gone ahead and committed a grave mistake. But Benjamin can’t bring himself to sympathize, because the feeling in the pit of his stomach only gets worse at the sight of a few officers rushing past him and out the door, under a tirade of orders from their superior. Xiaoman is standing a few feet away with her back facing him, so Benjamin approaches her.

“Xiaoman. Did something happen?”

Xiaoman whirls around to meet Benjamin’s gaze, her eyebrows scrunched together with concern. “Someone messed up. They were supposed to keep a close eye on him, but I guess they must have dropped their guard at some point...”

Benjamin isn’t sure to whom Xiaoman is referring, but he has two possibilities in mind, both equally frightening.

“Xiaoman.” He urges her, grabbing her arm for emphasis. “Who? Keep an eye on who?

“Huo Wensi.”

Blanching, Benjamin drops his bags to the floor, crushed by the weight of that implication.

“He’s... he’s escaped.”

Notes:

Again, very self-indulging. The ending that needed to be written because I cannot accept where things were left off. >:(
This is the follow-up that I imagined! I hope you like it :)

Once again, a big THANK YOU to my lovely beta @ssp_amax for all your help and insight!
And thanks for the main story title, because yes, I am a ridiculous potato who cannot for the life of her come up with a title.