Actions

Work Header

A Battle of Wits

Summary:

Summary: Set right after episode 24. Spoilers for the end of the series. What really happened on the bridge, and what followed.

Chapter 1: Confrontation

Summary:

The gang confronts Huo Wensi after his escape from prison. Benjamin mulls over his feelings and watches over an injured Luo Fei.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Get down!” Someone yells, and Benjamin is too slow to react.

Even though they’re standing at a safe distance from the bomb when it goes off, Benjamin struggles to keep his footing as he feels the impact of the explosion. Still dizzy from the previous two, he goes down on one knee. The smoke is too thick and, for a distressing moment, panic overcomes Benjamin when he cannot find Luo Fei through the dark clouds. Squinting slightly, he thinks he spots him splayed out on the cement next to the stolen police car, which is now in flames. He seems to still be in one piece, but Benjamin can’t tell if he’s injured, and he knows for a fact that Luo Fei is still too close to that madman Huo Wensi for comfort.

Suddenly, the truth hits him.

Huo Wensi had been counting on the fact that Luo Fei would catch on quickly about his little game. Indeed, the therapist had planned for the worst-case scenario and calculated that he would not be able to get far before the police were on his tail, which was why he had picked this unlikely route. From the very start, he had intended to lead them here into his carefully laid trap, and he meant for them to be following after him close behind. That way, he could have Luo Fei come to the conclusion that the four bombs had been equally spread out along the length of the bridge, when in reality, Huo Wensi had planted half of the devices in the center, while the rest of them lied on the East side, beneath their feet.

If Luo Fei hadn’t told us to stay back, all three of us would be dead by now, Benjamin thinks, shivering.

Once the East-side bombs had been set off, Luo Fei would determine that Huo Wensi had nowhere to run, and that as long as Luo Fei stayed clear of the West end, he would be out of harm’s way.

Then, he would step forward to his death, right into the blast radius.

What Huo Wensi hadn’t foreseen was that Luo Fei himself might see through his deception.

Luo Fei’s original assumption might have been incorrect, but if one thing could be said about the detective, it was that he was quick on his feet. Benjamin had always admired that about him: even when Luo Fei was wrong, which wasn’t a regular occurrence at all, he could easily adapt to any situation. He was also an expert at reading people, a skill that he shared with their perpetrator. But Huo Wensi was only human. As he was getting nearer to his prize, so close to victory, Huo Wensi had gotten overly confident and let his act slip up a bit, betraying his plans.

Benjamin had noticed how the famous therapist had started backing away from Luo Fei. That didn’t make any sense because the road was blocked and there were dozens of police officers behind, waiting to collect him if he so much as made an attempt to escape. No, Huo Wensi was deliberately moving away from the spot where Luo Fei was standing, and at the same time, luring Luo Fei towards him... and the remaining explosives.

Luo Fei must have caught on to that in extremis because he had started tracing his steps back and broken into a run.

That was when the last two bombs had blown up.

Luo Fei had been close enough to the blast to suffer injuries, but if he was lucky, his fast thinking might have saved him from meeting his end right there and then.

Benjamin is afraid to find out, but he can’t just stand there.

He has to do something.

Ignoring the shrill ringing in his ears that hasn’t receded yet, as well as everyone’s cries of protest telling him not to go—do they honestly expect him to stay here and wait?—Benjamin stumbles to his feet and bolts out without looking back. Benjamin feels slightly disoriented and his lungs burn as he breathes in the dust and particles in the air, his knees almost giving out under him before he has the chance to reach his destination. But he can’t stop now.

He needs to get to Luo Fei. Quick.

“Luo Fei! Luo Fei!

After covering the short distance to Luo Fei’s motionless body, Benjamin finally drops to his knees next to Luo Fei and turns him over carefully, checking him for injuries.

Apart from an ugly gash in Luo Fei’s side made by flying debris—a long sharp fragment which must come from the car and which is lodged scaringly close to one of his kidneys—half of Luo Fei’s face is covered in blood. Being extremely careful not to make his injuries worse, Benjamin checks Luo Fei’s head for trauma, gently feeling Luo Fei’s temple and scalp with his fingers until he finds the source of the bleeding. Thankfully, the wound doesn’t look too severe, but Luo Fei might have a concussion, and whatever internal damage might have been incurred by the blast requires immediate attention.

That gaping cut in Luo Fei’s side worries him as well.

Luo Fei groans and tries to sit up, but Benjamin holds him firmly in place. “Don’t move, Luo Fei. It’s alright. I’ve got you.” Cradling Luo Fei loosely in his arms, Benjamin brushes his blood-soaked bangs out of his eyes and kisses his forehead, trying to keep his tone of voice level so as not to alert him. “You’ll be fine. Trust me.” Benjamin may sound like he’s trying to soothe Luo Fei, but the truth is, the one he’s really trying to reassure is himself.

Luo Fei takes a shuddering breath, his features twisting in agony, then passes out.

“Luo Fei!”

Benjamin swears under his breath as Luo Fei’s inanimate body slumps down against his leg, then closes his eyes and inhales deeply. As he prepares himself to get Luo Fei to safety, away from this dreadful place, he suddenly feels a twinge of pain so sharp in his shoulder that he almost misses the cracking sound of a gun being fired. Startled, he clutches his burning shoulder with one hand, looking up with wide eyes in search of the shooter, and finds Huo Wensi has been standing there all along, just a few feet away, with his pistol pointed at them. It seems that, upon seeing that his plan had failed, knowing full well that he had no chance of getting away and that he would not be given a second chance to lead his plan to fruition once he was caught, Huo Wensi was seized with panic and resolved to take extreme measures.

To Benjamin’s horror, Huo Wensi fires his gun again.

Benjamin throws himself over Luo Fei with the speed and reflexes that his police training has drilled into his body, and the bullet hisses dangerously close over them. Sorry, he apologizes silently, though Luo Fei can’t have felt the pain.

With his heart thumping in his ears, Benjamin continues to shield Luo Fei from any potential incoming projectile.

Almost immediately after, there comes the sound of a third bullet. It whizzes past Benjamin who is still bent over Luo Fei’s prostrate form, but this time it’s coming from the other direction. Benjamin raises his head warily, just in time to see Huo Wensi fall to his knees and topple over. Benjamin isn’t sure if the man is dead, and frankly, he couldn’t care less. If the therapist does survive this, he doesn’t think he can ever forgive him for hurting Luo Fei.

As Benjamin ponders this, Xiaoman arrives by his side with Ye Changqing in tow, worry written all over her face.

“Benjamin! Are you alright?” Xiaoman asks Benjamin as she grabs his arm to inspect his wound.

Oh, that. He had almost forgotten about it.

Benjamin slips his jacket off gingerly and examines his shoulder through his shirt, figuring that the bullet must have only grazed the skin, merely ripping through the fabric. Nothing life-threatening, from what he can see.

“I’m fine, but Luo Fei is badly injured. Can you help me carry him to the car? We need to take him to a hospital.”

Xiaoman gives him a determined nod. “Of course. Get his arms; I’ll get his legs.”

The two start lifting Luo Fei off the ground to carry him away, but a searing pain suddenly tears through Benjamin’s shoulder with the effort and he flinches, forced to put Luo Fei down. Xiaoman looks at him with concern. “You’re hurt. Let me and Ye Changqing handle this, okay? Can you make it to the car on your own?” Benjamin merely grunts in response, not trusting himself to speak. “Alright, be careful. We’ll meet up there.”

With a lump in his throat, Benjamin watches helplessly as his two colleagues carry off the man he loves.

Then, he starts heading towards the car.

******

Benjamin stares at the tube poking out of his vein and then at the intravenous drip connected to it.

His shoulder throbs dully.

Benjamin sighs, thinking of how he had ended up here.

During the trip to the hospital, Benjamin had sat at the back of the car with Luo Fei lying in his lap, bleeding all over the seat and Benjamin’s slate-colored trousers. After Luo Fei had lost consciousness, he hadn’t woken again, which was alarming given the wound that he had sustained to his head. Thankfully, that gaping hole had since closed up. However, the same couldn’t be said about his side gash, which was still leaking blood at a slow and steady pace.

Upon their arrival, they had been separated: Luo Fei being rushed into intensive care, while the rest of them were deemed less serious cases, but still subjected to a thorough examination.

Despite a slight shortness of breath due to the smoke and remnants of that annoying ringing in their ears to remind them of the afternoon’s events, there hadn’t been anything significant to report. In spite of that, they had been instructed to at least spend the night, so that they could be monitored in case their condition worsened. As for Benjamin, he had said so himself: though it stung pretty badly, his shoulder wasn’t anything to worry about.

But all the same, it had been treated and patched up as needed, and it was better now. The pain was much less acute.

******

Benjamin hasn’t seen Luo Fei again, nor has he received any news about his medical state.

He is growing quite restless. Worried, even.

Benjamin thinks for a second, then makes up his mind.

Careful not to make any noise, Benjamin slides out of the bed and into a pair of slippers placed by the side of his bed, then stands up tentatively. Deciding that his legs are strong enough to hold his own weight, he starts walking carefully towards the door with his IV drip in tow. When he reaches the dim-lighted corridor, he looks both ways to make sure the coast is clear and quietly slips out of the room in search of Luo Fei.

Benjamin has no luck with the first two rooms he passes, but upon reaching the third one, he stops in his tracks.

The soft glow of the moon filtering through the blinds illuminates a familiar outline.

Feeling his heart tighten in his chest, Benjamin trudges forward, his slippers shuffling in the dark.

Luo Fei is deeply asleep.

Pulling up a chair, Benjamin slowly settles down onto the hard seat, finally allowing himself to breathe properly again. Luo Fei is very still, but his chest is moving up and down with his respiration, and his condition appears to be stable. Benjamin will have to check his bandages and look into what kind of medicine they are giving him when the sun is up, but for now he is content, not to mention enormously relieved.

Sighing again, Benjamin reaches forward to take Luo Fei’s hand in his, squeezing it gently.

In the wan light, the paleness of Luo Fei’s complexion is further enhanced by the ebony of his hair. Even his lips are paper-colored and parched, having lost their usual fire. Benjamin wants to kiss them and give them life again.

For all his ghostly beauty, Luo Fei looks unbelievably fragile, which is doing nothing to ease Benjamin’s worries.

Why do you always have to play the hero and make me worry about you...

With the work he does, Benjamin is well-acquainted with death. His days are filled with graphic images of mutilated corpses and the smell of formalin, and apart from the times when Luo Fei or Xiaoman come to visit him, his only companions are of the non-living. Benjamin doesn’t mind, most of the time. He has long grown accustomed to this macabre lifestyle. Death has become so ordinary to him that he even takes his meals in the autopsy room, and he had been sleeping there for a very long time when Luo Fei had come and changed that.

And yet...

Sometimes, when his mind wanders, Benjamin begins to imagine a day when someone dear to him might end up on his dissection table. Someone like Xiaoman, or someone like...

He tries to ignore it, but it’s easier said than done when his days are filled with dead bodies, and his heart with Luo Fei.

Benjamin has this intense fear that one day, when Luo Fei runs out to save the day again, he might not come back in one piece. That the next time Luo Fei leaves on a dangerous mission, he might be returned to Benjamin with his feet first, pale and lifeless, stiff and cold, and then Benjamin will be forced to take him apart and put him back together himself. This is part of the reason why he follows him across the city like his own shadow: to prevent this from ever becoming a reality. But neither of them is invincible, and Benjamin knows he can’t protect Luo Fei forever.

No one can escape death, especially in this line of work.

He had tried to stop him earlier that day, but Luo Fei hadn’t let him get in the way. The truth is that Luo Fei is an honorable man, much too noble for his own sake, whereas Benjamin had only been thinking about himself. But he doesn’t care what kind of person that makes him. Benjamin can’t bear to lose Luo Fei. He is all he has.

Benjamin grasps Luo Fei’s hand a little tighter, rubbing his thumb along the ridge of his knuckles.

Today, Benjamin’s worst nightmare had almost come true.

No one could blame him if he was having trouble falling asleep tonight.

Benjamin knows that Luo Fei needs to rest, but some selfish part of him wants to wake him up, just so he can make sure that Luo Fei is alright. But Luo Fei doesn’t even stir when Benjamin speaks, his voice barely over a whisper. “You didn’t have to apprehend Huo Wensi alone. Why do you always put yourself at risk?”

It’s comforting to voice these thoughts, but Benjamin almost instantly regrets his words. That wasn’t fair.

He kisses Luo Fei’s hand apologetically.

“I know, I know. You were only doing the right thing. It’s just that...”

This one-sided conversation between Benjamin and an unconscious Luo Fei is suddenly interrupted as Benjamin catches the muted sound of slippered feet coming down the hallway.

Someone is coming!

In the spur of the moment, Benjamin jumps to his feet and turns to the nearby unoccupied bed, so abruptly that he almost forgets to take the medical apparatus currently attached to him. Ripping the sheets open, he slips underneath the covers and throws the thin blanket over his face, then lies perfectly still, hoping that whoever walks past the room won’t notice that this room’s patient has gained himself a new companion.

The footsteps stop right outside the door and Benjamin holds his breath, his heart hammering in his chest.

Benjamin feels foolish for reacting like a little boy caught in the act of committing mischief, but he’d rather not be found like this, for he’s not sure how he would explain his behavior. Secretly sneaking out of his room to see another man? Wouldn’t that be extremely inappropriate? He could pretend that he was worried about his friend, or that he had nothing better to do in the middle of the night, but the truth of the matter is blatantly obvious and he has enough things on his mind already without having to justify why this nocturnal visit couldn’t wait until the morning.

The footsteps hesitate, then begin to move away until they fade completely into the distance.

Benjamin breathes out a sigh of relief. He should probably go back while he can.

Now that he has seen for himself that Luo Fei is alive and well, maybe he can catch a few hours of sleep before dawn.

Benjamin climbs off the mattress and approaches Luo Fei’s bedside, bending down to cup his cool cheek and place a soft kiss on his lips. As his hand lingers, Benjamin finds that he is unable to go just yet, so he settles down into a crouch and continues to watch Luo Fei deep in slumber as a form of reassurance that he is here in the flesh, warm and alive. Benjamin stays like this for a moment before he finally manages to tear himself away.

“Alright. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Benjamin returns to his own bed and falls asleep instantly.

He does not dream.

******

The next morning, Luo Fei does not wake up. Nor does he on the following day, or the one after.

Luo Fei has been in a coma for about a week now.

Benjamin takes off his suit jacket and drapes it over the back of the chair before putting down on the seat the book that he brought for himself to pass the time. Xiaoman isn’t here yet: as for Benjamin, he has just returned from Luo Fei’s—and he muses, in a way, his—apartment to retrieve a change of clothes for Luo Fei in case he wakes up today. It is awfully optimistic for him to even consider the idea, but he has to do what he can not to go insane. Benjamin had also taken the opportunity to freshen up, even catching up on some much-needed sleep after passing out on Luo Fei’s couch. Of course, that part of the trip hadn’t been planned.

Anyway, Benjamin feels better than he has in days, given the situation.

After going around the room, checking Luo Fei’s patient sheet for any changes and his bandages for potential infections, while ensuring that everything necessary has been done to guarantee his well-being and comfort, even if Luo Fei probably cannot tell the difference right now, Benjamin finally settles down in his chair, setting the book aside for now as he takes a wet cloth and proceeds to clean Luo Fei’s face meticulously. Benjamin means to do everything in his power to maximize Luo Fei’s chances of waking up.

Also, he likes taking care of Luo Fei, although he would never admit as much.

Things have been moving slowly as of late: there hasn’t been any new case, and so Benjamin has taken leave from work. Officially, he’s using that time to get some much-needed rest. Unofficially, he’s spending it at the hospital and dedicating all his energy and attention to keep watch over Luo Fei. Xiaoman drops by everyday to check how both men are doing, making it her duty to fuss over Benjamin as much as she fusses over Luo Fei, reminding him to sleep and threatening to feed him by force if he doesn’t go down to the cafeteria for a bite.

Benjamin isn’t used to being fussed over. He usually does the fussing himself, but it’s not a bad feeling, to be honest.

As for Huo Wensi...

Well, Huo Wensi is being kept under heavy surveillance, perpetually flanked by guards in some unknown place while he recovers from his wounds. Of course, this is the humane thing to do before sending him back to prison, where he will await his trial. Yet, for Huo Wensi’s sake, Benjamin hopes he never sees him again. Benjamin is not a violent man at all, but if Huo Wensi were to cross his path, he might be tempted to punch him in the face.

In fact, he would not hesitate.

Frowning slightly, Benjamin busies himself with Luo Fei’s IV tube, which hasn’t been set up properly again – Benjamin is going to need to have a conversation with the nurse about this.

Huo Wensi... Benjamin doesn’t like to think about Huo Wensi.

Thinking about Huo Wensi reminds him of that day when he had had to scrape Luo Fei off the ground. No, Benjamin prefers to focus on the present and do everything he can to guarantee Luo Fei’s prompt recovery.

“Ben.”

Benjamin’s hands freeze on Luo Fei’s thin forearm and he looks up from the now perfectly-secured tube and pristine, taped bandage holding it in place, gaping. “Luo Fei.” A familiar pair of eyes, though hazy with sleep, are looking at Benjamin with deep fondness and a glint of mischievousness in them. Resisting the urge to pull Luo Fei into a bone-crushing embrace, for Luo Fei hasn’t fully healed yet, Benjamin settles for his hand, wrapping it with both of his own in a tight grip. Then, Luo Fei smiles at him warmly, and Benjamin feels his heart explode in his chest. Figuratively, of course.

“...Luo Fei. How are you feeling?”

Wincing slightly, Luo Fei grabs his throat to indicate his thirst, and Benjamin reaches for the glass of water he had prepared like every day before this one, holding it up for Luo Fei and wiping off a few runaway drops that escape from the corner of his lips. Luo Fei clears his throat. “Eh, I’ve been better, but not too bad, with you taking care of me and all.”

The slightest hint of a blush spreads over Benjamin’s cheeks, and he smiles at Luo Fei shyly. “I didn’t do much, really.”

Not saying anything, Luo Fei only continues to smile at Benjamin, and Benjamin knows that Luo Fei knows better.

“If you say so.”

Grinning, Luo Fei motions for him to get closer. “Ah, Ben. I missed you so much! Come here, come here.”

Benjamin looks at Luo Fei dubiously, then smiles. “You were in a coma.”

“Are you saying you don’t believe me? Would you deny a sick man a bit of love in this cold, harsh world?”

Shaking his head and laughing, Benjamin obliges his capricious lover. More than happy to indulge Luo Fei, but trying not to show his eagerness too much (Luo Fei doesn’t need the encouragement), Benjamin inches his chair a bit closer to Luo Fei and leans forward tentatively, looping his arms around him in a loose embrace. Closing his eyes, Benjamin inhales deeply and rests his chin on Luo Fei’s shoulder, finally at peace. It’s such a wonder how pulling Luo Fei into his arms makes everything better. Truth be told, Benjamin usually avoids human contact like the plague, but he has grown embarrassingly attached to Luo Fei’s displays of affection. That’s right: Benjamin loves hugging Luo Fei.

When Benjamin makes to pull away, Luo Fei grabs the front of his dress shirt to keep him within close proximity and kisses him softly on the mouth, as if he hadn’t been unconscious just five minutes ago.

“What—...”

Though slightly taken aback, Benjamin responds enthusiastically, clutching Luo Fei’s thin frame.

After a while, seeming to have come to his senses and realized where this place is, Benjamin breaks the kiss and sinks back into his seat slowly, appearing both scandalized and strangely delighted at the same time. Luo Fei winks at him.

“Luo Fei. W-What if somebody had—...”

Luo Fei shrugs, looking smug and awfully pleased with himself. “Why should I care?”

Xiaoman grabs this opportunity to come in. Beaming at the scene in front of her, she drops down in the chair on the opposite side of the bed, clasping her hands on her lap. “Oh, keep going, you two. Don’t mind me. I’m not here!”

Luo Fei glares at her. “Seriously, could you knock? Is that too much to ask, or is the concept too vague for you to grasp?”

Completely ignoring him, Xiaoman turns to glance at Benjamin who, red-faced, has sunk deeper into his chair and is staring at a loose thread hanging from Luo Fei’s blanket as though if he doesn’t move, Xiaoman might forget his presence. It’s not working. “Benjamin. That’s a rather unique way to treat a patient. I’ll take good note of it!” She teases Benjamin good-naturedly, then turns to point her finger at Luo Fei in accusation, though her eyes are kind and relieved. “And you, Sleeping Beauty. How long were you planning on keeping us waiting? We were so worried. Benjamin here was on the verge of fading into non-existence.”

Benjamin smiles amiably. “That’s a bit of a stretch, Xiaoman.”

“A bit of a stretch? Luo Fei, Benjamin insisted on coming here every day, and wouldn’t even go home at night. He barely got any sleep over the last few days. I was starting to consider hooking him up to an IV drip like you if this went on. Benjamin doesn't look it, but he’s a very stubborn man.”

Luo Fei smiles at the comment, peering at Benjamin knowingly. “Ha. Should have warned you about that.” Yet this small exchange seems to trigger a reaction in Luo Fei; something clicks in his mind and he faces Benjamin, laying hold of his forearm gently and pulling him closer. “Hold on a sec. Ben, let me get a closer look at you. Did you lose weight again? Aiyo, you’re so thin and pale...” Frowning, Luo Fei reaches forward to grab Benjamin’s chin with his thumb and forefinger and holds up his face, inspecting it from all angles.

Benjamin smiles indulgingly, grabbing his wrist.

“Aren’t you the one lying in that bed? Just focus on getting better. No need to worry about me.”

“But—! Based on my earlier performance, wouldn’t you say I’m at the top of my game?”

I thought you said you were sick. Benjamin muses, half-amused, half-exasperated.

Luo Fei chortles, then groans, regretting his mirth instantly as his week-old wound sends a million knives down his flank. “...—I’m fine, I’m fine.” He hurries to say, raising his hands to stop Benjamin and Xiaoman from rushing over, then winces again as the sudden jerking movement causes yet another wave of pain to wash over him. “...Argh. Damn. I guess I should probably take it easy for the next few days, hm? Speaking of which, what’s the situation right now? Did the police manage to catch Huo Wensi? My memories are a bit fuzzy...”

Benjamin’s expression darkens visibly at the mention of Huo Wensi, before being replaced by a solemn smile.

“The situation is stable for now. I’ll tell you the details later.”

Being denied information in such a way, Luo Fei really wants to protest, but obstinacy makes way for exhaustion and he nods in understanding before sinking back into his pillows, screwing his eyes shut. “Ow.”

Xiaoman shares a look with Benjamin, then stands up from her chair and makes for the door. “Get some sleep, Luo Fei. I’ll be back soon. Oh and, Benjamin? Don’t keep him up too long?”

Benjamin shakes his head, smiling, and watches Xiaoman disappear through the doorway.

Then he brings his attention back to Luo Fei.

“I’ll ask the doctors to give you some medicine to ease the pain and help you sleep.”

Of course, he would monitor very closely the substance being administered.

As promised, Benjamin goes out in search of the doctor in charge of treating Luo Fei who provides the blessed remedy, with Benjamin offering to stay and keep Luo Fei company until the medicine kicks in. As he feels his eyelids gradually becoming heavier, Luo Fei tightens his grip on Benjamin’s hand, gazing up at him sluggishly. Through his hampered vision, the ceiling lights cast a hazy glow around Benjamin’s face, making him look like an angel. Luo Fei smiles softly.

“Ben... Thank you.”

He sleeps.

******

Having just gone out to buy some food to share with everyone—but mostly Luo Fei, for Benjamin does not trust what the hospital gives its patients and Luo Fei requires optimal nutrition—, Benjamin is walking back to the medical institution, breathing in the welcome, cool night air. Although they are not yet entirely out of the woods with the Huo Wensi case, Luo Fei is back with them, and to Benjamin, that is the only thing that really matters.

Benjamin takes the long way back to enjoy the nice weather a little more before returning to the hospital’s aseptic rooms with their dreary white walls. Though, to be fair, he is no stranger to that type of environment.

It had been his life, too—and still is, to some extent.

But things are different now.

In the past few weeks or months that they have been ‘together’, if such a word can be employed, Luo Fei has shown Benjamin so many new sights and colors, and introduced all these other tastes and smells and feelings to him, all of which Benjamin is learning to enjoy as time goes by. Through this deeper relationship that they are building, Luo Fei has taught him that there is a world beyond his morgue, and that it is full of life—and fragile, too.

Benjamin is going to embrace that world for Luo Fei’s sake, but also for himself.

As he passes the reception, Benjamin stops by the front desk, sensing that something is off. The nurses seem agitated, and Benjamin can hear someone—Savoy?—yelling at who he assumes must be an unfortunate trainee who has gone ahead and committed a grave mistake. But Benjamin can’t bring himself to sympathize, because the feeling in the pit of his stomach only gets worse at the sight of a few officers rushing past him and out the door, under a tirade of orders from their superior. Xiaoman is standing a few feet away with her back facing him, so Benjamin approaches her.

“Xiaoman. Did something happen?”

Xiaoman whirls around to meet Benjamin’s gaze, her eyebrows scrunched together with concern. “Someone messed up. They were supposed to keep a close eye on him, but I guess they must have dropped their guard at some point...”

Benjamin isn’t sure to whom Xiaoman is referring, but he has two possibilities in mind, both equally frightening.

“Xiaoman.” He urges her, grabbing her arm for emphasis. “Who? Keep an eye on who?

“Huo Wensi.”

Blanching, Benjamin drops his bags to the floor, crushed by the weight of that implication.

“He’s... he’s escaped.”

Notes:

Again, very self-indulging. The ending that needed to be written because I cannot accept where things were left off. >:(
This is the follow-up that I imagined! I hope you like it :)

Once again, a big THANK YOU to my lovely beta @ssp_amax for all your help and insight!
And thanks for the main story title, because yes, I am a ridiculous potato who cannot for the life of her come up with a title.

Chapter 2: Stalemate

Summary:

With Huo Wensi on the run, Benjamin and Luo Fei take refuge in the morgue. Luo Fei has a strange premonition.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Warning: Some scenes might be disturbing to some readers. Proceed with caution.

“He’s... he’s escaped.”

The words fall like a gavel on a lectern, heavy with meaning.

This isn’t over.

Benjamin can feel a thin film of cold sweat start to form on his brow as he grips the edge of the counter for support, his knuckles turning white in the process. As the disturbance around him continues, his brain tunes out all other sounds, and this is the only thing he can focus on: if Huo Wensi is now on the run, Luo Fei’s life may well be in danger. He must stay close to him at all cost. All Benjamin’s mind can think of is how he needs to return to Luo Fei’s bedside right away. Benjamin is so absorbed in his own thoughts that he doesn’t feel Xiaoman’s comforting hand on the small of his back, and only really comes to when Det Sup Savoy is standing right in front of him, calling his name.

“Benjamin.”

Benjamin snaps out of his daze, momentarily confused at Savoy’s sudden appearance. “... Sir. What exactly happened...? I thought Huo Wensi was being heavily guarded at all times. How did he manage to—”

It’s not an accusation, and Savoy doesn’t take it as one. He answers Benjamin benevolently, yet his words are harsh as he deplores his subordinates’ incompetence. “One of my officers left his post to relieve himself,” he mutters through his teeth as he tries to contain his anger, “and God knows where the other went, or what I will do to him when he turns up. The first officer claims that Huo Wensi was deeply asleep and that he only left for a short moment, but it was apparently enough for Huo Wensi to make a run for it. As their superior, I am deeply ashamed by their behavior.”

Savoy huffs out a sigh, suddenly looking extremely weary and old. “I suppose I am partly responsible for being too lax with my men. But enough of that. We need to locate Huo Wensi’s whereabouts as soon as we can.”

Savoy lays a firm grip on Benjamin’s shoulders and surveys him gravely, as if entrusting him with a very serious mission. “I’ve already sent some of my men to patrol the area and set up road blocks to capture Huo Wensi. Others will remain here in case that bastard is still somewhere inside the building.” His expression softens for a fraction of a second before being replaced with his usual surly look. “Benjamin... I consider you and Luo Fei as my own sons. We don’t know when Huo Wensi might strike, so I want you to go be by Luo Fei’s side until that criminal is behind bars again. Don’t let Luo Fei out of your sight, no matter what. I’m leaving him in your hands.”

This has been Benjamin’s intention from the start. He doesn’t need to be told twice.

Benjamin gives Savoy a resolute nod. “Yes, sir.”

As the chief of police releases him, Benjamin turns to Xiaoman still standing to the side. Although Xiaoman is putting on a strong front for everyone’s sake, Benjamin knows she must be torn between her conflicting emotions. From the start, Xiaoman had trusted Huo Wensi’s intentions to be good, and she had believed in his rehabilitation and remorse for his actions after his capture.

But the reality of what Huo Wensi has done is still fresh in Benjamin’s memory.

Benjamin squeezes Xiaoman’s arm in support. “Be careful.”

Resolute and brave, Xiaoman inclines her head to show her agreement, giving him a small smile.

Without another word or a second glance at the bags of food long since forgotten on the floor, Benjamin goes out to find Luo Fei in fast strides, following what has become a very familiar trajectory. Benjamin doesn’t remember walking there—only, one instant he’s brushing past Xiaoman, and the next, he’s standing right outside Luo Fei’s room, suddenly aware of the fact that he has been holding his breath ever since he started down the drab hallway, digging his nails into his palms. No... this won’t do. This won’t do at all.

He has to calm down immediately. Luo Fei needs him now more than ever.

Exhaling slowly, Benjamin opens his clenched fists and pushes the door open.

Luo Fei’s eyes are closed, as if in sleep, but they snap open the minute Benjamin comes in. With one glance at Benjamin, he can tell right away that something is wrong. Luo Fei frowns slightly, his curiosity piqued.

His frown deepens as Benjamin closes the door behind him and locks it.

“What’s wrong? I heard people shouting.”

Sighing, Benjamin approaches the bed warily and helps Luo Fei into a sitting position, placing a few pillows behind him to support his back. “Earlier, I didn’t want to worry you needlessly, but I guess I can’t keep this from you any longer.” Benjamin sinks down in the chair next to Luo Fei’s bed as Luo Fei continues to examine him closely, pressing him for more details. “Huo Wensi is alive, but he was badly injured. He was taken here to be treated before being sent to jail. But now it seems like he managed to escape. The whole place is in an uproar.”

Luo Fei’s eyes widen at the news.

Biting his thumb, he takes a moment to process the information, the gears already turning in his head.

Benjamin continues. “The police have reason to believe that Huo Wensi and his men might go after you. And I agree. You ruined his plan, after all. He must despise you.” Benjamin sits nearer to the edge of his seat to place his hand on Luo Fei’s forearm where the IV tube used to be, not long ago, before Luo Fei had claimed that he was perfectly capable of eating normal food again and feeding himself—though not without a little bit of assistance from Benjamin. Now, Benjamin almost misses having something with which to busy his hands. “Luo Fei, you—...” Benjamin corrects himself. “We need to keep a low profile, at least until you’re fully recovered. There’s no reason to stay here any longer.”

Benjamin stands up from his seat and extends his hand for Luo Fei to take. “Come on. Let’s go.”

Luo Fei raises an eyebrow and regards Benjamin’s hand skeptically.

“Go where? Where can we possibly go?”

“The station. It’s the only safe place right now.”

Luo Fei scowls at the prospect. “Out of the question. I’m not going to stand by and let him get away with this.”

Benjamin meets Luo Fei’s gaze steadily, patient. “Then, tell me: what do you plan to do in your current state?”

Luo Fei winces imperceptibly, for Benjamin has a point. He sniffs, crossing his arms in challenge, but he knows that this battle is already lost. “Okay. Maybe there is nothing I can do, but I don’t need to hide. Or be protected, for that matter.”

Benjamin blinks, looking utterly unconvinced.

“Ben... It’s all good, really.”

“No... it’s not. Luo Fei, I don’t think you grasp the severity of the situation. You are in danger. Huo Wensi is on the run: has it not crossed your mind that he might return to finish the job?” Benjamin stands his ground, implacable, yet despite his determination not to take no for an answer, Benjamin’s genuine concern for Luo Fei’s well-being leaves no room for doubt. Luo Fei feels his own stubbornness start to break down as a gentle warmth slowly comes over his heart. “Look, I know it’s not an ideal situation, but I will not allow him to get near you again, especially not while you’re like this. And besides, I’m under orders from Det Sup Savoy. Do you dare defy him?”

This was a Benjamin that only a handful of people could boast to know. When Benjamin had come to a decision, especially where Luo Fei was concerned, no one could make him change his mind—not even Luo Fei himself.

Luo Fei is torn between a visceral need to throw up his hands in frustration and an uncontrollable urge to smile.

He chooses the latter. “Fine. If you insist.”

“...I do. Please... Don’t be stubborn.”

“I’m not—...” Luo Fei starts to protest, then stops himself, realizing too late that he has just made Benjamin’s point. “Alright, whatever. Let’s get out of here.” As Luo Fei grins to ease the slight tension in the air, all of the pressure in Benjamin’s posture seems to melt away, and he returns Luo Fei’s smile, almost boyish in his manner. Luo Fei takes Benjamin’s offered hand and makes to stand up, bracing himself for the effort, but he finds that his legs are not responding. In fact, he can barely move them at all. It’s as if all of his strength has left him.

What the...?

“One more thing...” Benjamin trails off, catching Luo Fei’s torso before he topples over. “It might take you a few more days or weeks before you can walk with ease again. After all, you were out for days, so your muscles have atrophied. Don’t worry, it’s reversible—well, probably. I didn’t find any signs of permanent damage in your legs, but you need to recover your strength. You’ll have to give it time and be patient.”

Probably, huh. Luo Fei laughs inwardly at the thought, which sounds absolutely hilarious in his mind.

Maybe the fatigue is getting to his head.

Slightly trembling from the strenuous effort, Luo Fei wipes his damp forehead with his sleeve; Benjamin’s steady hand on his back a much-welcomed presence. “Wow, I hadn’t realized how tired I was. I mean... I can move a bit, but... I don’t think I can stand.” He strains again, trying to direct his feet to the right, off the bed, but only manages to move them by a few inches before being rewarded by a violent shiver and a sea of black dots dancing in front of his eyes.

Luo Fei pinches the bridge of his nose, taking a moment to regain his senses.

“... Luo Fei. This is a normal reaction. You’re exhausted. Don’t push yourself.” Benjamin observes him quietly for a while. Once Luo Fei is back with him, Benjamin motions with his head towards the nearest wall, where a wheelchair is staring back at them. “We can use that to get you out of here.”

Luo Fei huffs at the sight, then laughs bitterly. “I have no idea how I’m gonna get to that chair.”

Benjamin pauses as if weighing his next move, then lifts his hand to cup Luo Fei’s cheek and leans in to kiss his temple.

“Let me.”

Before Luo Fei can utter a single word of protest, Benjamin slides one arm behind his back and the other under his knees, lifting him off the bed effortlessly and carrying him off towards the offending device. Luo Fei glares at the chair as Benjamin settles him down in it with the utmost care, then gazes at Benjamin sheepishly when the latter catches him in the act. Benjamin smiles softly in understanding. “...I’m sorry. It’s just until we reach the car.”

Luo Fei is a proud man, and if there’s anything he hates, it’s the feeling of being completely and utterly helpless, and having to rely on others. Although maybe it’s not too bad if that person is Benjamin.

But still.

Most of Luo Fei’s acquaintances have already left to chase after the fugitive therapist, and as Benjamin wheels Luo Fei down the corridor, the few officers who remain look discreetly away.

When the two of them go out into the night, Luo Fei takes a long, deep breath in, reveling at the feeling of the fresh air filling his lungs after spending an entire week between walls. Benjamin stops the chair right outside the door and presses Luo Fei’s shoulder affectionately, bending down to speak next to his ear. “...I’ll bring the car over. Wait here.” Luo Fei watches Benjamin cover the distance to his vehicle rapidly, throwing quick apprehensive looks in Luo Fei’s direction over his shoulder as he goes.

Within a very short amount of time, the vehicle immobilizes in front of Luo Fei and Benjamin comes out to retrieve him.

Benjamin makes short work of getting him in the car—Luo Fei marvels once more at the strength he had no knowledge of all these past years and is just learning to appreciate— and the two of them set off.

The clean scent of the interior of Ben’s car. The path to the station, which he had taken more times than he could count.

The familiarity of it all is like a balm to Luo Fei’s soul.

And yet, despite all that, it’s going to take him a while to get used to this.

“I hate this.” Luo Fei complains as he attempts to move his legs for the umpteenth time—to no avail.

Benjamin moves his eyes off the road for one second to look at Luo Fei’s discontent expression, taking one of his hands off the wheel to squeeze Luo Fei’s knee. “Don’t stress too much about it. I’m here, remember? You won’t have to go through this alone. Besides, I can teach you some exercises to help you regain your strength and mobility. Then it’ll be just a matter of time before you’re back on your feet.”

“Oh, exercises. Tell me more, Doc.”

Benjamin looks at Luo Fei somewhat in disbelief—although he should have seen that one coming, after all this time. Feeling the heat rush to his cheeks, Benjamin chuckles softly, shaking his head. “That’s not what I had in mind, Luo Fei. ”

Luo Fei doesn’t reply, but Benjamin can hear him—and sort of see him from the corner of his eyes—shift in his seat. Benjamin throws another tentative glance to the side and finds that Luo Fei has scooted in his seat and is resting his head against the cool window, eyes half-closed in his near stupor. He looks ready to drop at a moment’s notice, but his lips are curled into the tiniest of smiles. Suddenly, a ferocious need to protect this man comes over Benjamin’s heart.

Benjamin returns his gaze to the road, his jaw set in determination.

No one will touch a single hair on Luo Fei’s head. Benjamin is going to make sure of that.

******

Not long after they make it to Benjamin’s quarters—thankfully without any incident—, Benjamin suggests that they call it a day and get ready for bed. It’s been a very long day, and Luo Fei can only imagine how exhausted Benjamin must be, both physically and mentally. As for him, well... Luo Fei feels like sleeping is all he has been doing lately, but right now, he could probably pass out for another day—or five.

Benjamin glances at him apologetically.

“Sorry I can’t offer you something better, even if this is temporary. I know this place doesn’t compare to your apartment at the Sullivan, but at least you should be safe here.”

“Nah, it’ll do.” Luo Fei answers from his spot on the bed as he slowly eases out of the shirt he had been wearing when Benjamin had taken him home from the hospital. While he does so, he looks up to glance at Benjamin, and the way Benjamin’s eyes linger on his naked torso before he averts his gaze is not lost on Luo Fei. Trying to stifle his smirk, Luo Fei pulls on the top piece of the pair of pajamas that Benjamin has lent him, taking his time buttoning up the garment. Not surprisingly, Benjamin has an impressive collection of sleepwear, as he does suits—all fancier than the next.

Luo Fei had picked the set that looked the most worn, completely ignoring Benjamin’s protests that there were other far nicer ones to choose from. In fact, Benjamin had been planning on throwing that one away before he had sort of unofficially moved into Luo Fei’s apartment, and he hadn’t had the chance since. Despite all this, Luo Fei had wanted that one. This one was lived in, and every loose thread and each missing button told a story that he wanted to uncover. Luo Fei may have been a sharp dresser by nature, but his curiosity superseded his taste in clothes.

Perfect choice. Luo Fei thinks to himself as the soft pliable cloth falls around his body in a loose embrace.

Luo Fei fastens the last button on his shirt—which is quite an accomplishment given his condition— and gives the place a quick once-over, peering at Benjamin now bustling around, tidying his desk in the room adjacent to this one.

The morgue is vastly spacious, consisting of an autopsy room, a small office, and a lab. The office has another door leading  into a small minimalist bedroom, a disposition which sets a clear boundary between professional and personal. Though the morgue’s main purpose is to be Benjamin’s workplace, it doubles as his living space, and yet, Luo Fei has firsthand knowledge that the place hasn’t been used to that effect in a while, thanks to him. Although, given the current state of things, this might be about to change drastically.

“I feel dizzy just by looking at you. What’s the rush? Come here for a sec.”

Benjamin finishes stacking some papers into a neat pile and turns off the lamp on his desk before coming into the room, walking up to sit on the mattress next to Luo Fei, whose face is illuminated by the dim glow of a lone candlestick on the bedside table. “It’s late, Luo Fei. You should try to get some sleep.”

“I just slept for seven days straight, Ben. I’m not in a hurry to get back to it so soon.”

Benjamin protests. “That wasn’t restorative sleep. You need proper rest to recover. Come on.”

Taking hold of Luo Fei’s narrow shoulders, Benjamin prompts him to turn around and lie down on his back carefully so as not to aggravate his wound, pulling the covers over him. “...This bed is kind of small, so I’ll take the couch—in the office. If I remember correctly, I should have a sleeping bag lying around somewhere.” Luo Fei doesn’t ask how that came to be, merely staring up at Benjamin’s face from within the thick blankets he has been buried in. “It can get a little cold here during the night, so make sure you stay warm. I’ll be next door if you need me.”

“Wait. Where are you going? There’s enough space for both of us. Can’t we just squeeze together a bit?”

“I don’t think that’s—...”

“Don’t go. I don’t want to sleep alone.”

“But your wound—...”

“Ben... Please. It’s not like we’re gonna do anything with me like this. Stay.”

Benjamin seems conflicted for a moment, but he finally gives in to Luo Fei’s pleading gaze, letting out a quiet laugh as Luo Fei tugs on his silk shirt with insistence. Albeit a bit hesitantly, Benjamin slips under the covers to lie on his side facing Luo Fei and props himself up on one elbow to brush a few strands of hair away from Luo Fei’s forehead tenderly. “...Fine. You win. But if you’re even a little bit uncomfortable, I’m moving next door, and that’s non-negotiable.”

“I won’t, I won’t.”

Grinning, Luo Fei curls an arm behind his head to get a better look at him, his gaze softening. “I missed you.”

“...You said that already.” Benjamin replies, looking away, but by the subtle curl of his lips and the way his eyes shine, it’s quite obvious that the words go straight to his heart, regardless of his teasing tone.

Luo Fei shrugs innocently. “It’s true?”

“Luo Fei...” Benjamin’s smile freezes on his lips as an unpleasant memory resurfaces in his mind, and the earlier playfulness on his face is replaced by deep anxiety and grief. “When that bomb went off, I... I really thought—”

I thought I’d lost you. That you were gone for good.

Luo Fei sighs. “Shhh, I know. It’s over now. Come here.”

Benjamin shifts slightly at the words and Luo Fei can feel the heat radiating from his body as he moves over carefully—so afraid to hurt him—, yet this, this closeness is exactly what Luo Fei is craving right now, and so he takes hold of Benjamin’s chin, firmly but gently, and guides Benjamin’s lips towards his own. Benjamin kisses him back in an almost languid fashion, their chests brushing against each other as Benjamin towers over Luo Fei, holding himself up with his hands on each side of Luo Fei’s body to avoid crushing him under his weight. Luo Fei almost wishes that he would, but that is a really dangerous path for his mind to go down right now.

As if he can hear his train of thoughts, Benjamin reluctantly pulls away.

“You said—...”

“I changed my mind.”

“Luo Fei...”

Ignoring Benjamin’s protests, Luo Fei grabs his neck and pulls him down closer, deepening their kiss. He reaches up to unbutton the first few buttons of Benjamin’s shirt and slips his hand inside, exploring the wide expanse of skin there, though he has already memorized every inch of it. Benjamin’s chest is lean but hard—warm under Luo Fei’s fingers—, and Luo Fei can feel the wild beating of Benjamin’s heart in sync with his own, thumping loudly in his ears. As Luo Fei continues his adventurous search, Benjamin’s breath hitches, and he groans inside Luo Fei’s mouth as the latter’s fingers brush against one of his nipples—not by accident.

Benjamin breaks the kiss at last, their frantic breaths mingling, and he peels Luo Fei’s hand off his chest.

“...We really shouldn’t.”

“Come on, Ben. It might actually do me good. You know, get the blood flowing and all.”

Benjamin huffs out an incredulous laugh. “...You’re impossible. Go to sleep.”

“Don’t you want to at least give it a try?”

“I said no.”

To Luo Fei’s disappointment, Benjamin pushes himself off and lies down next to him, resting his head on his pillow and regarding Luo Fei with a mix of fondness and exasperation. Then, Benjamin presses himself against Luo Fei’s side and slings an arm loosely around his upper body, making sure to avoid touching his bandaged abdomen. “... Sleep.” Benjamin commands him again, though his tone of voice is by no means authoritative, and for Luo Fei, who is feeling again like his eyes are about to fall out of their sockets, it is an offer too enticing to refuse.

Lulled by the peaceful sound of Benjamin’s slowing breathing, Luo Fei falls into a deep slumber.

******

Luo Fei is standing on a shore. The waves roll in towards him, lapping at his bare feet before receding back to the sea.

Unsure as to how he got here, Luo Fei enjoys the soothing feeling of the cool water flowing back and forth between his toes and the saline smell of the air which has a very nostalgic quality to it, almost as if it were associated with his past—perhaps a memory from his childhood?— though Luo Fei, for the life of him, cannot remember what it reminds him of. It makes him a little sad to think that he could forget something which seems so important. What he’s feeling isn’t some crushing pain about a known loss, but rather, a sort of distant melancholy for what could have been. A dull longing.

After Luo Fei has had enough of staring at the blue horizon, he begins to walk along the deserted beach.

For a very long time, he doesn’t encounter any form of life. There is nothing but sand as far as the eye can see, with the sea on his left, and dark clouds above him heavy with the promise of rain.

Luo Fei has been walking in silence for a few minutes when he catches sight of a vague shape at the edge of the water. From where Luo Fei is standing, it looks like a mere blotch of ink on a blank canvas.

Intrigued, Luo Fei picks up the pace, jogging up to find what the ocean has brought in.

As Luo Fei gets closer, he finds that the mysterious object is in fact a person. Or, to be more specific, a corpse.

Not one to back down, having seen his fair share of dead bodies before, Luo Fei crouches next to the one at hand and flips it over to reveal its features and identify it. Despite the bloated face, Luo Fei can tell that the victim is a man, probably around his mid-twenties—so young, Luo Fei muses with a slight pang in his heart—, and he appears to be clad in some kind of officer’s uniform, though Luo Fei doesn’t know if he belonged to the local police force given the advanced state of deterioration of his clothing. He must have still been in training when he had met his grim fate. Still, it’s no use lamenting what he might have become. He’s dead, now.

Picking himself up, Luo Fei turns to leave when he notices another body in the water, drifting towards him.

The body is joined by a second, then another one, until the water is teeming with corpses.

Luo Fei whirls back to look at the deceased officer, finding that the man’s face is slowly turning into that of a woman’s...  No, a young girl, and not just any girl.

His sister. His long-lost sister.

She looks exactly as she had that day, when she had been robbed from him.

Soon, however, her youthful and candid face twists into a frightening grimace, and the supple skin of her cheeks begins to melt until only the bones of her skull are left. Horrified, Luo Fei takes a few steps back, ready to bolt at any time, but his feet are glued to the ground, as if they had been set in stone. Now, the corpses have reached the shore and are crawling towards him and clutching at his legs, sticking to him like tar.

There’s no room for him to get away.

All hope seems to have faded when Luo Fei hears a voice calling his name, one that he would have recognized anywhere. His heart aches in his chest for that person.

“Luo Fei!”

As he looks towards the direction from whence he came, Luo Fei spots Benjamin—his Ben—rushing up to him in panic. One side of Luo Fei desperately wants Benjamin at his side, while the rational part of his brain warns him that this would put him in danger, and Luo Fei is not willing to take that risk. He tries to scream at Benjamin to stay back, but the words aren’t coming out of his mouth no matter how hard he tries to force them out. Luo Fei claws at his throat and wills his mouth to speak, feeling himself suffocate as the bodies surround him completely, until he can’t see Benjamin anymore.

Luo Fei!

And then the corpses are screaming Captain! Captain!, and Luo Fei feels himself sinking deeper into the darkness.

Luo Fei hears an explosion—like gunfire—and everything goes black.

******

Luo Fei wakes up with a start.

At first, Luo Fei thinks he can still make out the calming lull of the waves, but he realizes that what he’s hearing is in fact the sound of quiet voices, speaking in hushed tones. If this is any indication that he’s no longer in a dream, his wound throbs painfully as a reminder of what befell him a week ago. His legs, however, still feel like they weigh a ton, though fortunately for him, there are no longer any monsters attached to them. No, this is Benjamin’s bedroom, but Benjamin is not here where he should be, by Luo Fei’s side.

Wiping his slightly wet eyes with his sleeve and sitting up painstakingly, Luo Fei debates whether he should try to intervene, ultimately deciding against it. True, the curiosity is killing him—is that Xiaoman talking to Ben?—, but even as he strains to hear, Luo Fei isn’t able to catch anything. Well, no matter: Luo Fei is just going to bide his time and wait until Benjamin returns to his—or should he say their—bedroom to tell him what that was all about.                                      

In the meantime, Luo Fei’s stomach is rumbling, so he turns to the small tray waiting on his bedside table where he finds some tea, a cup of soy milk and a small bowl of porridge, all set in beautiful porcelain, and still warm.

Luo Fei smiles fondly at the sight. Benjamin spoils him so much.

Feeling extremely thirsty, Luo Fei moistens his parched lips and reaches for the soy milk carefully, wincing at the way his wound smarts at the movement. Thankfully, Benjamin has placed it close enough for Luo Fei to reach it, yet far enough to prevent him from knocking it down by accident in his sleep. When he has his prized possession in hand, Luo Fei downs the milk in one go—a bit too fast—and almost chokes, breaking out into a violent fit of coughing.

Today isn’t going very well so far.

Once he has recovered, Luo Fei manages to set the cup back on the tray without breaking it and reaches for the bowl of porridge and the spoon, but before he can have a taste, Benjamin comes in with Xiaoman in tow.

Benjamin rushes to his side in a heartbeat, looking worried.

“I’m okay, I’m okay. See?” Luo Fei assures him, brandishing his bowl and spoon as if they were proof of his well-being, then proceeds to eat with gusto, talking in between bites. “What’s going on? Did something happen again?”

Benjamin ignores his question, reaching up to feel Luo Fei’s brow with his wrist. “You’ve got a bit of a fever.”

“But I feel perfectly okay.” Luo Fei protests, slipping another spoonful into his mouth. “Xiaoman—...”

Benjamin takes Luo Fei’s bowl and spoon away, as if Luo Fei were a misbehaving child being scolded, and continues his physical examination, cupping Luo Fei’s face and checking his eyes.

“Your sclerae are a bit red, too. Are you feeling unwell?”

Like hell he is going to admit that he had been crying just a moment ago.

“Not particularly. Just a little tired still.” Luo Fei shifts his gaze to peer at Xiaoman over Benjamin’s shoulder, although he can still feel Benjamin’s eyes burning holes into him. “So, tell me, what’s the case this t—ah!” Luo Fei lets out a small high-pitched sound when Benjamin lifts his shirt, visibly not caring much about the fact that they are currently in the presence of a lady. Benjamin frowns at his bandaged side, and Luo Fei looks down to where he is pointing. “...Luo Fei. Your wound has opened up. It has even bled through the gauze.”

Indeed, one can make out faint tinges of red marring the formerly pristine bandage. Huh.

“I’m not sure how that happened... Maybe I moved around too much while I was sleeping. I had kind of a bad dream... Not a big deal, though.” Luo Fei hurries to specify when understanding dawns in Benjamin’s eyes and his expression turns pained in sympathy. “Don’t worry, I’m alright. And you can tend to my wound later.” Luo Fei adds in a gentle tone while patting Benjamin on the shoulder. “But more importantly... Xiaoman, what’s the situation?”

Xiaoman, who has been standing at a polite distance till now, inches closer to the bed. “If you mean Doctor Huo... Well, he’s still at large. It’s like he vanished out of thin air. So I’m afraid we haven’t found any clues yet. We have tried getting some information out of Jin Bubai, but he’s just been rambling his metaphorical nonsense as usual and not cooperating with us. He won’t talk to me if you’re not there. As for Captain, he’s still meek as a lamb, which isn’t helpful to us.”

Luo Fei rubs his chin in contemplation.

“You know, it might be worth investigating Captain’s criminal syndicate—the Green Dragon Society. I did some research on them a few years ago.” Luo Fei shares a knowing look with Benjamin, who nods, linking their fingers on the mattress and squeezing his hand in mute support. “Some of my old notes and reports should still be at the station. Can you check the archive and bring them to me later if you find them?”

If Xiaoman notices the not-so-subtle eye conversation taking place between the two lovers, she doesn’t mention it. Instead, she smiles brightly at the suggestion. “Yup! You can count on me.”

“Thank you, Xiaoman.”

“Anyway, that’s not the reason I’m here.” Xiaoman continues, clutching her notepad and pen as well as a thick envelope. She hands the envelope to Luo Fei, who empties its contents on his blanketed lap—photographs of a crime scene and of its victim. Luo Fei feels a sudden chill as fragments of his dream come back to him. “There has been a new murder.” Xiaoman announces grimly, the corners of her lips curling downwards.

“Name?” Luo Fei asks while examining the pictures of the victim, who looks vaguely familiar.

“Lin Jianhao. 29 years old. He was an officer from a neighboring police station.”

“I know him. We’ve worked together before. What happened to him?”

Xiaoman continues. “According to the reports, he was found early this morning by the captain of a fishing boat after being tied up in a sack and thrown in the waters of the Huangpu River. We don’t know yet if he drowned or if he was killed first, and then disposed of. That will be up to you, Benjamin. We’ll send the body over later today if that’s alright.”

Benjamin looks up from the macabre spectacle to Xiaoman and nods his assent. “Of course. I’ll see what I can find.”

Luo Fei stares at the photos without seeing them, deep in his thoughts.

Is this some random act of savagery? Another case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Or do they have another madman on their hands?

Can it be...?

It’s too early to tell, but they will get to the bottom of this.

Notes:

Thank you all for your comments! It means the world to me :) This chapter has a lot of BenFei fluff before the real action begins, so I hope you enjoy these nearly 6k words of (mostly) Benjamin being the best possible doting husband to his Luo Fei ♥

Chapter 3: Progression

Summary:

Luo Fei investigates Captain's Green Dragon Society and the recent strings of murders. Benjamin and Xiaoman rush over to the Sullivan after a mysterious incident.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Warning: Some scenes might be disturbing to some readers (graphic depiction of an autopsy). Proceed with caution.

If you were an ill-intentioned good-for-nothing looking to cause some trouble, Shanghai was a good place to start.

Whether one was in for the money or out for some fun, there was virtually nothing they could not get their hands on. Casinos were thriving, alcohol flowed like water, prostitutes were found on the corners of every street, and drugs... Drugs could be bought with somewhat ease—as long as you were ready to pay a hefty price. Truth be told, Shanghai’s socioeconomic context vastly contributed to its criminal activity. In the lawless city, the comings and goings of foreign ships made the smuggling of illegal goods a mere child’s play, and there were many who used this to their advantage.

Though it was not the case for all, many of the officers in the city could be swayed with bribes, which meant that not only could you conduct your business without having to worry about being caught, but also that you could probably count on the police’s protection, or at the very least, on their utmost discretion.

Shanghai law enforcers were famous for their ability to ‘look the other way.’

The Green Dragon Society was a well-established organization many dozens of years old which specialised in gambling, human trafficking, and opium production and trade. Originally, the association’s power had rested on the loyalties that existed between its members, but after having acquired a significant amount of wealth and power, it had become highly corrupted and was now being ruled with an iron grip by a handful of elite leaders.

If the local authorities were aware of its existence, the finer details of its place of operation were not widely known... But even if those had been common knowledge, no one would have ever dared try anything for fear of reprisal.

Finally, the association had members scattered all across the country.

As such, it could not easily be brought down.

“When I confronted him about it, Huo Wensi admitted that he had already laid his hands on the Ming Emperor’s jade and acquired Captain’s resources and manpower. If he really has gone into hiding within the organization and is being protected by Captain’s men, he’s going to be hard to track down.” Luo Fei muses out loud, propped against the edge of Benjamin’s desk as he goes through his file full of scribbled notes and old faded pictures, slowly trying to get used to the feeling of holding up his own weight on his shaky legs.

Sifting through some photographs, Benjamin sits nearby with all senses alert, in case Luo Fei falls down from his perch.

Luo Fei presses on, unaware of the imminent danger. “Not to offer myself up on a silver platter, but it might make the search easier if those guys do end up coming after me. We could wait for the rats to come out of their holes, no?”

Benjamin’s lips form a thin line in disagreement with Luo Fei’s baiting strategy, but he remains silent.

This is not the first time Luo Fei suggests that he run headfirst into danger. Benjamin is used to it—somewhat.

Sighing, Luo Fei gathers his papers in a neat stack and smacks the folder down on the desk, then stares pensively at the pen holder for a bit before taking out a pen and turning it in his hands, examining it from every angle, as if the mere gesture were fuelling his thought process. Maybe it is. “Naturally, we can’t sit still while we wait for them to commit more crimes either. The quicker we stop them, the better it will be. But we haven’t found anything solid yet. The most recent information we have on them is from ten years ago. Who knows where they are now, or what they’re up to.”

Benjamin puts down the photo of a distinguished lady linking arms with an austere-looking business man suspected to be at the head of the movement, both appearing to be extremely wealthy and powerful.

Settling back into his chair, Benjamin gazes up at Luo Fei overlooking him.

“Do you think the Green Dragon Society is behind the death of that officer? It doesn’t seem like their style.”

Well. Luo Fei can’t deny the truth in that.

Why would such a great organization waste its precious time going after some random nobody?

Unless...

Deciding to test the waters, Luo Fei lifts himself up from the desk tentatively to practice standing on his feet, shifting his weight from left to right. But it seems too early for a task of this magnitude: Luo Fei’s knees give out under him and he ends up more or less back where he started—except now he’s sitting on the picture of some stranger. Luo Fei sighs, irritated and almost at his wits’ end, though he has spent barely more than a day in this state of reduced capacity. “That’s right. They are usually above such petty things. But Huo Wensi could be trying to get to us.” He pauses. “To me.”

Unconsciously, Benjamin’s hands clench into fists on his lap, crumpling the fabric of his trousers.

Luo Fei pretends not to notice the gesture. “In any case, we need to find Doctor Huo, and right now, the Green Dragon Society is the only lead we have. It’s too early to tell if Lin Jianhao’s murder is connected to Huo Wensi’s escape, but we can’t rule out that possibility. Following that logic, we should—”

Xiaoman knocks on the door frame and pokes her head into the room. “Sorry to disturb you two, but the body’s here.”

Benjamin nods at her in greeting from behind Luo Fei. “Thank you. We’ll be right there.”

With his train of thought having been interrupted in such a way, Luo Fei makes to get up and follow after Xiaoman, but is preceded by Benjamin who stands and offers him his arm, which Luo Fei takes gratefully. Together, they start heading towards the autopsy room, Benjamin half-carrying him as Luo Fei trudges along. When they arrive at their destination, Xiaoman is already waiting by the gurney she brought along with her. Depositing Luo Fei in a nearby chair, Benjamin pulls on his white coat over his simple shirt and tie, then slips on a pair of protective gloves and a mask. Following this, he gets to work right away as Xiaoman watches him with a hint of morbid curiosity.

But as soon as the light glints on his raised scalpel, she rushes off, claiming to have important matters to attend to.

“I don’t want to disturb you! Anyway, you know where to find me, and I’ll come by later.”

Benjamin watches her leave, looking slightly perplexed.

Luo Fei glances at him with raised eyebrows, a hint of amusement in his eyes. “I don’t think Xiaoman will ever get over that steak incident. You made quite an impression on her at the time. That wasn’t very nice, you know.”

Benjamin shakes his head, eyes crinkling above his mask as he smiles. He doesn’t comment on the fact that it was really Luo Fei who had taken advantage of the situation back then to give the new recruit the fright of her life.

“No music?” Luo Fei asks playfully as Benjamin gets ready to begin the autopsy.

“No need.” Benjamin replies with sincerity, and Luo Fei thinks he knows why.

Smiling, Luo Fei takes out a notepad and pen from his jacket pocket to keep himself busy while Benjamin works, observing silently as Benjamin starts to undress the victim. Luo Fei concentrates on the task at hand, jotting down notes while throwing furtive looks at the scene playing out in front of him.

“The subject is a young Shanghai-born male of Chinese descent, aged 29 at the time of death. Height is about 170 cm. Built is medium, and slim. The subject’s face has a blue-green color and shows signs of swelling caused by prolonged submersion in water, but his features are still recognizable and match the photograph provided by Lin Jianhao’s wife, who claimed that her husband had gone missing two days ago. The state of decomposition is not advanced and the body is mostly intact, which suggests that the subject did not remain in the water for long. At present, it remains unclear whether the subject drowned or suffered an injury or assault prior to death.”

Benjamin finishes removing the last piece of clothing and promptly begins his physical examination.

“The limbs have been bloated by the water, but there are no traces of a struggle—... Hold on.”

Luo Fei raises his head at this, intrigued. “What’s wrong?”

Benjamin bends down slightly and lifts the dead man’s hand so he can have a closer look, inspecting it from all sides. “The fingers seem to have been crushed under something heavy, or twisted by being forced into some narrow space... See how crooked they are?” Benjamin shows Luo Fei, who is close enough to tell that these angles are not normal.

“He could have been tortured before he was killed. But to what end? Information, maybe?”

Benjamin nods as if he had been thinking the same. “I’ll have to run a few tests. We might find some more clues.”

Benjamin resumes his meticulous inspection, slowly feeling his way up the arms and shoulders and stopping to check the neck for evidence of choking, but finding nothing of substance. Benjamin lifts the head carefully and probs the scalp with his gloved fingers, running his fingers through the short hair until he once again freezes in his movement.

Luo Fei presses him for details. “Find anything?”

“Gunshot wound through the cerebellum.” Benjamin cradles the head in his hands, lifting the chin to inspect the victim’s face again. “It’s a penetrating one, seeing how there’s no exit wound at the front. The bullet is still lodged inside.”

Luo Fei’s expression turns grim. “That must have killed him instantly.”

 “Not necessarily. People have survived worst.”

Having finished his external examination, Benjamin places a body block under the subject’s torso to elevate it and gets ready to open him up when Luo Fei cuts in. “Ben. Can you hand me that umbrella? I’d like to have a look.”

“Oh... sure.”

Benjamin grabs the object resting against the wall and hands it to Luo Fei, who uses it to get to his feet and hobble closer to the examination table a few feet away.

“Are you sure you’re alright?” Benjamin asks tentatively, grabbing Luo Fei’s bicep to steady him after he stumbles.

“Yeah, I think so. Go ahead, continue.”

“Okay.”

Supporting himself on his makeshift cane, Luo Fei watches intently as Benjamin takes his scalpel and makes a Y-shaped incision running diagonally from each shoulder joint across the chess to the breast bone and all the way down the abdomen to the pubic region, drawing only an insignificant amount of blood. After gaining access to the thoracic cavity and removing the ribcage, Benjamin proceeds to examine the organs within.

“The lungs don’t have any water in them, so given the gunshot wound to the head, I’d rule out the possibility that he drowned. Dry drowning seems unlikely, too. I’ll check his stomach and kidneys and take a few blood and urine samples. The results might reveal a bit more about the events leading to his death, and shed light on how he ended up that way.”

After Benjamin finishes taking what he needs to complete his analyses, and stitching up the body once everything is back in its rightful place, he emerges from his deeply-focused state and turns to Luo Fei who, pale-faced, is shaking like a leaf. For an instant, Benjamin had been so absorbed in his work that he had forgotten that Luo Fei was just standing there, barely hanging on. Alarmed, Benjamin removes and discards his soiled gloves swiftly, wrapping an arm around Luo Fei’s shoulders and leading him to his chair to sit down and rest.

“Okay. Easy... easy.”

Benjamin crouches down next to Luo Fei and takes a handkerchief out of his breast pocket to dab at Luo Fei’s clammy temple with it. “You did great, Luo Fei. That’s enough for now.”

Luo Fei says something unintelligible in a strained voice and closes his eyes for a second, taking a deep breath.

Once he has regained his senses, Luo Fei turns to Benjamin, who is watching him attentively.

“What I’d like to know is... Why was he disposed of where he could be found so easily? In such a short amount of time, his body couldn’t have drifted that far. Whoever killed Lin Jianhao... It’s almost as if they wanted him to be found.”

Benjamin peers at Luo Fei curiously.

“I can’t be sure, but... I think someone’s messing with us.”

******

About a year has passed since Luo Fei made the decision to leave the police to become an independent detective.

Benjamin still works for them, but is no longer a field officer, preferring to remain in the morgue instead of going out to fight on the frontline. Luo Fei thinks he is much more suited for this job. As a policeman, Benjamin’s high qualification was tragically wasted, but as the department’s serving forensics specialist, his medical expertise can now be put to a better use. Besides, Benjamin’s stamina is subpar at best, and he had always come out last in physical training during their days at the academy. Finally, Luo Fei would be lying if he pretended that he didn’t feel relieved by Benjamin’s sudden career change. His mind is much more at ease knowing that he has one less person to worry about constantly.

Despite this, not much has changed. Luo Fei still has to travel to crime scenes regularly, and most of the time, Benjamin insists on accompanying him wherever he goes. Luo Fei isn’t sure why that is. After all, this is precisely what Benjamin has chosen to give up on—the reason why he has traded his navy uniform for a white coat.

But Benjamin is adamant, and Luo Fei has never been really good at denying him anything.

As of late, they have been hot on Captain’s tracks, and it seems like they are only one clue away from catching him.

Earlier today, they received an anonymous tip suggesting that Captain might make an appearance soon, which is why they are currently making their way to the scene, in hopes of stopping him before he strikes.

If he strikes.            

Luo Fei turns to look at Benjamin sitting next to him, but his partner has dozed off with his chin tucked against his chest.

Benjamin’s head lolls back and forth with the movement of the car, punctuated by the occasional jerk. Luo Fei wants to wake him up, because sleeping in that position is sure to earn him a stiff neck, but Benjamin looks so peaceful that he doesn’t have the heart. Luo Fei smiles softly as he watches Benjamin sleep. If there’s one thing he had missed about Benjamin, it’s definitely the sight of him in his police attire. That outfit is incredibly becoming of him.

As these thoughts cross his mind, the car swerves violently to the left without warning, throwing Benjamin against him.

Benjamin’s eyes snap open and he freezes for a split second, looking slightly panicked, then tears himself away from Luo Fei as a faint tinge of red colours his cheeks. “S-Sorry...”

“Don’t worry about it.” Luo Fei replies in a mild tone, smiling softly at Benjamin before turning towards the front to address the officer driving the car. “Why have we stopped? We’re not there yet, are we?”

“The road ahead is blocked. We can’t go any further.”

Just our luck, Luo Fei thinks to himself.

Unbuckling his seatbelt, Luo Fei gets out of the vehicle to investigate the source of the disturbance, while Benjamin, who still looks a bit groggy from his impromptu nap, follows after him without question, yawning.

They are in what seems to be a high-end shopping district. All around them, a vast range of shops of all kinds abound, and Luo Fei peers curiously at the one in front of which their car has immobilised.

The name sounds familiar... Where has he heard it before?

Luo Fei is mulling over these thoughts when a familiar silhouette appears in the doorway.

His first reaction is to be filled with pure joy: an uncontrollable smile forms on his lips as he recognizes his dear sister, looking dashing as she steps out of the boutique clad in a white dress and matching beret, and wrapped in a long elegant fur coat. Then, just as quickly, Luo Fei is struck with horror as understanding dawns on him, and he finds himself unable to move from his spot, faced with an undeniable fact. This series of events... It can’t be a coincidence.

Luo Fei’s sister spots him from a distance and greets him cheerfully, her long hair dancing in the chilly wind with the snowflakes as she twirls around to show off her new acquisition. “Gē! What do you think?”

Before Luo Fei can utter a single word in response, another voice calls out to him—deeper, chilling.

“Luo Fei!”

Luo Fei lifts his gaze to the rooftop where the noise came from and is met with the sight of his biggest adversary.

It’s Captain. With a detonator in his hand.


The older man gives Luo Fei a knowing look and smiles ominously, then presses the button.

Luo Fei feels his heart drop in the pit of his stomach.

Sis!

To Luo Fei, the sound of the explosion is deafening and oddly quiet at the same time as his world crumbles around him, taking his precious sister in a giant fireball. The slight tremor caused by the blast sends Luo Fei reeling for a few seconds, yet once he is past the initial surprise, he dashes forward with the intent of reaching the store before it completely goes up in flames, leaving nothing behind. But a hand closes around his wrist, preventing him from rushing into the blaze. Luo Fei violently whirls around to confront the person holding him back, and comes face to face with Benjamin.

“You can’t go! It’s too dangerous!”

Luo Fei knows what Benjamin is saying probably makes sense, but right now, the voice of reason isn’t reaching him at all.

He tugs on Benjamin’s hand, trying to free himself from his iron grip, but Benjamin isn’t letting him go.

“Ben, come on, I have to—”

“No! There’s nothing you can do!” Benjamin shouts through the chaos surrounding them, his voice choked up with grief, before he pulls Luo Fei’s struggling form into a fierce embrace, ultimately collapsing to the ground with him.

“I’m sorry, Luo Fei. It’s too late.”

Luo Fei tries to fight back and free himself from Benjamin’s tight grasp, but he can’t move an inch. His eyes are stinging and his throat is hoarse from the smoke and his own screams. Right now, he just wants Benjamin to let him go, let him go and confirm for himself that his sister is well and truly gone, but he just doesn’t have the strength, and he doesn’t really want to know. And Benjamin... Benjamin is holding onto him for dear life, cradling him in his thin long arms, and whispering soothing words in Luo Fei’s ears that don’t make any sense to him.

“...I’m so sorry...”

Nothing makes sense anymore.

******

“Luo Fei.”

Luo Fei wakes to find a worried Benjamin leaning over him, holding his arms in place as if he had been thrashing around.

Still hazy from his daydream, Luo Fei is momentarily confused, but he quickly comes to.

This is Benjamin’s office—ten or so years later—in the present. Luo Fei is sitting in Benjamin’s fancy armchair with a warm blanket draped over his legs. He must have dozed off after the autopsy, but he can’t remember how he got here. Benjamin crouches down in front of Luo Fei, letting his hands rest on Luo Fei’s knees, and seems to read the question written all over Luo Fei’s face. “You collapsed in there on the way back to the bedroom, and I didn’t want to disturb you. Are you okay? Did you have another nightmare?” It’s a rhetorical question, for the answer is obvious.

Luo Fei rubs his hand over his face, feeling sluggish. “Did I... talk in my sleep?”

Benjamin looks down in somewhat hesitation, then meets Luo Fei’s eyes again. “You were calling for your sister.”

Luo Fei falls silent. This is a topic he would rather not broach—not now, nor ever.

Especially now.

Lost in his musings, Luo Fei doesn’t notice Benjamin’s insistent gaze on him until Benjamin takes Luo Fei’s hands into his own in an attempt to pull Luo Fei’s attention away from his grim thoughts and back to him. “Luo Fei... The anniversary is coming up soon, isn’t it? Maybe you should take a break from the case.”

Luo Fei starts slightly, as if the idea had never crossed his mind.

Take a break? And lose whatever distraction this case is providing him, so that he may have all the time in the world to remember the past? Think about how he could have gone into the fire to save his sister if Benjamin hadn’t stopped him?

About how he had stood by and watched as Captain took away the only family he had left, and done nothing?

No, Luo Fei is not in a hurry to find himself alone with his thoughts again.

Luo Fei shakes his head, smiling sadly. “No, this is too important. If Captain’s gang is responsible for this, then it’s my chance to set things right.” Freeing his hands gently, he sinks back into his seat and crosses his arms behind his head.

His wound itches underneath the fresh bandage that Benjamin applied earlier. He resists the urge to scratch it furiously.

“Of course. I understand. But Luo Fei... You’re not alone. Don’t forget that.”

“I won’t.”

Satisfied with Luo Fei’s answer—for now, at least—Benjamin rises to his feet and pulls up a chair to sit by Luo Fei’s side. “In the meantime... I ran some tests while you were asleep.”

This piques Luo Fei’s curiosity.“What did you find?”

“There were a few things, actually. First of all, I had a strange feeling about the subject’s fingers, so I went back to check and found some thread. Cotton, barely visible underneath his nails. Do you think...?”

Thread, huh... Luo Fei remembers the sack the body was found in. “From a mill—a cotton mill. They must have run his hands through a machine of some sort. Pretty unique instrument of torture, if you ask me—but not the worse I’ve seen. We’ll tell Xiaoman to have some men look around for abandoned factories on the outskirts of the city. What else?”

Benjamin thinks back for a second. “There were traces of opium in the blood. Not a very large amount, but...”

“That’s... a bit more shocking. Lin Jianhao didn’t strike me as the type to do drugs...”

Benjamin clasps his hands on his lap, pensive. “Maybe so... But he might have been forced to take them against his will. Which means... We could be dealing with gangsters.”

Luo Fei shoots Benjamin an appreciative look. “You’ve got a point. Hey, you’re getting good at this.”

“I have a great teacher.” Benjamin replies, beaming, and Luo Fei can’t help but chuckle in response.

Now that Luo Fei seems to be in a better mood, Benjamin seizes the opportunity to get into Luo Fei’s space a little more. Propping himself up and supporting himself on the armrest, Benjamin slowly closes the distance between them, cupping Luo Fei’s face as he leans in, but before their lips can so much as brush, the door slams open and Xiaoman enters the room in a gust of wind. As Benjamin falls back into his seat, Luo Fei swears under his breath.

“What is it with you and not knocking on doors? Do you enjoy walking in on people? Are you secretly a pervert?”

“What about you?” Xiaoman fires back calmly. “Do you have an allergy to locks? Should I show you how to use them?”

Then, spotting Benjamin curled in on himself, she smiles sweetly at him. “Hello, Benjamin.”

“Xiaoman.” Benjamin greets her. “What’s the matter?”

“It seems like I’ve only been the bearer of bad news lately, but there have been two more deaths. Two policemen, and one of them is from our department. The circumstances surrounding their deaths are the same. Both became absent from work unexpectedly, then turned up a few days later, dead. Of course, we’ll need you to confirm this, Benjamin, but I think it’s safe to assume that we’re dealing with the same guy. Everyone’s in an uproar... Since our killer appears to be targeting police officers, we’re asked to be extra careful. Some have even traded their uniform for civilian clothes.”

Xiaoman sighs deeply, looking dejected.

“And to top it off, we have a few missing persons cases on our hands—all young girls in their late teens. Let’s see: there’s Luo Chunhua, Luo Meilin and Luo Mingzhu...” Xiaoman scratches her head, thinking hard. “Luo... Qingling? I think?”

A slight crease forms between Benjamin’s eyebrows as he frowns. “... He’s taunting us.”

Luo Fei pinches the bridge of his nose, feeling a headache coming on. Why does everything bring him back to that time?

“It’s a common enough name, but... I have to agree with Benjamin here. Huo Wensi is playing games with us.”

But Xiaoman doesn’t seem convinced.

“It doesn’t feel right. Don’t you find it strange? This isn’t like Doctor—... I mean, Huo Wensi.” Xiaoman corrects herself, thinking back on the case of the stolen Yellow River funds. “It’s too flashy. He’s usually so careful.”

“Back then, he was trying to keep a low profile. He didn’t want to get caught. This time, though... he’s out for blood.” Luo Fei explains, feeling increasingly convinced that they are on the right track.

Huo Wensi intends to make them regret ever crossing his path.

So this whole case... It’s personal now.

All of a sudden, the telephone on Benjamin’s desk rings, making all of them jump. Benjamin reaches for the handset and answers the phone, asking for the caller’s identity. It’s Ye Changqing, he mouths for the other two, then listens intently to what the policeman has to say, his expression darkening progressively at what he hears. Luo Fei can feel a vise closing in around his chest as he waits anxiously for Benjamin to share the news—which is bad, from the looks of him.

******

Benjamin slowly puts down the phone, then turns to face Luo Fei.

“There was a small incident at the Sullivan—a fire, although a minor one. But... Wang Susu is in shock. The perpetrator left a message, but no fingerprints were found at the scene.”

Luo Fei bites his thumb, as if he were weighing their options, then seems to come to a decision.

“Ben. Can you go for me? I’d check on her myself, but...” Luo Fei gestures at his legs, making an annoyed gesture.

Benjamin glances at the phone, then at Xiaoman, then back at Luo Fei, feeling very conflicted. Normally, he wouldn’t have minded at all—in fact, Benjamin is kind of worried for the landlady, who is among the very select number of people he actually cares about—but he doesn’t want to leave Luo Fei. He can’t bear even the thought of it. Even so, he doesn’t think he can keep letting his own selfishness and insecurities interfere with the investigation.

Luo Fei pats his shoulder, squeezing it gently. “Hey. Nothing will happen. You said so yourself... I’m safe here.”

Benjamin hesitates.

Now that the police force has become the prime target, that isn’t necessarily true anymore. But what can they do?

 “Come on, Ben. There’s nothing to fear. Don’t worry about me.”

Feeling his resolve crumble, Benjamin gives a barely visible nod—agreeing to the plan, but far from okay with it.

“Wait for me here.” Benjamin tells Luo Fei, reaching for his jacket. “Don’t go anywhere.”

Luo Fei does not point out the fact that he isn’t going anywhere soon on his own, and Benjamin is grateful for it. Because of course, Benjamin is aware of that fact and is only saying this because he needs the reassurance. As he leaves with Xiaoman, Benjamin glances at Luo Fei over his shoulder, who smiles and nods at his retreating form, and Benjamin tries to do the same, swallowing the lump in his throat.

Benjamin’s smile falters as soon as he and Xiaoman go out into the sun, and he sets his jaw in determination.

I am not going to let you get away with this.

Xiaoman and Benjamin are completely silent on the way to the Sullivan, both deeply immersed in their own thoughts.

Benjamin enjoys the short drive to the apartment complex which allows him to think about something else for a while, despite the constant nagging worry at the back of his mind. However, when they get to the scene, these fears vanish, replaced by slightly more pressing matters. The Sullivan is intact for the most part, but one can clearly see the dark clouds of smoke still coming out of the windows of Wang Susu’s quarters on the second floor, where flames must have been licking the glass only moments ago.

Benjamin and Xiaoman share a pained expression, then get out of the vehicle together, slamming their doors as they go.

They head towards a small group comprised of Ye Chanqing and some of his men, as well as Wang Susu herself.

As soon as she catches sight of Benjamin, Susu squeaks out a small “Xiao Ben”, and throws herself in his arms. Wordlessly, Benjamin lets himself be hugged, loosely wrapping his arms around Susu’s thin frame.

“Hey, I tried to comfort her, but she rejected me.” Changqing comments at the display, shrugging.

Then, he turns to Xiaoman to brief her on the situation. “The fire started in Wang Susu’s living room, but luckily for her, she wasn’t home at the time. In fact, there was nobody in the building, so no one got hurt. Also, the firefighters came quickly enough that the damage done to the property is pretty minor. Which is good.” As Changqing says these words, he peers at the building behind them, then throws his half-smoked cigarette on the ground, stepping on it. “Like I said on the phone, we haven’t found any fingerprints, although my men are still searching the premises. But there’s something I think you might want to see...”

Intrigued, Benjamin pats Susu gently on the back to excuse himself and slips out of her embrace, following Changqing and Xiaoman inside the building where a message awaits them, written on the wall in big red letters:

‘HAND HIM OVER AND THIS STOPS NOW’.

The meaning behind these words is clear as day, but like hell if Benjamin is going to give those criminals what they want.

Xiaoman shakes her head sadly at the sight, as if she had still been clinging onto a tiny fragment of hope.

“Luo Fei was right... He is being targeted, and if this is any indication, they’re not going to back down easily. But even so, we can’t admit defeat.” Xiaoman trails off, before turning to Benjamin. “Let’s go back. There isn’t much we can do here.”

“What about Wang Susu?”

“She can stay with me until this dies down a bit. I won’t let anything happen to her.”

Benjamin nods in agreement. Wang Susu will be safe by Xiaoman’s side.

The two of them bid their goodbyes to Changqing and head out, stopping on the way to make small talk with the officers and offer a few more words of comfort to the traumatised landlady, then return to the car and start back to the station.

Now that they have done what they came for, Benjamin’s thoughts drift back to Luo Fei.

Honestly, they weren’t gone very long, so the chances that something bad happened are slim at best, but all the same, Benjamin is eager to go back and have Luo Fei where he can see him again.

As soon as they arrive at the station, Benjamin flies out of the car, storming through the front entrance. Barely taking the time to acknowledge the familiar faces that he meets on his way, Benjamin heads for the morgue in fast strides, ignoring Xiaoman’s voice calling after him to wait for her, and cursing his ridiculously long legs. Benjamin is quickly covering the distance from the reception to his headquarters, thinking to himself that the corridor leading there has never seemed so endless before, when he finally bursts through the door.

“Luo Fei?” Benjamin asks to the empty room in front of him, and is met only with the echo of his own voice.

No answer.

Trying to keep his cool, Benjamin calls out Luo Fei’s name many times over as he makes his way across the autopsy room to his office, then peers inside the bedroom, but finds no one waiting there.

There has to be an explanation. He said he wouldn’t go anywhere.

With his heart thumping in his ears, Benjamin traces his steps back, refusing to accept the reality that hits him—hard.

Then why isn’t he...?

In that instant, Xiaoman finally catches up with Benjamin, and immediately senses that something is wrong. ‘Where is Luo Fei?’ She silently forms the words with her mouth, and Benjamin understands: whatever has happened to Luo Fei, the culprit might still be around, so they have to stay on their toes.

Benjamin shakes his head to indicate his total lack of understanding.

I don’t know’, Benjamin replies, feeling the contents of his stomach roil as the truth sinks in. ‘I can’t find him anywhere.’

Luo Fei is nowhere to be found.

He’s gone.

Before they alert Savoy and make Luo Fei’s disappearance known to everyone, Benjamin decides to go back and check the rooms one last time, and spots something that he hadn’t noticed in his hurry the first time around. In the bedroom, the door to the closet is slightly ajar, so Benjamin decides to investigate it, unable to shake off the feeling that he isn’t going to like what he finds. He crosses the room rapidly, almost tripping over his umbrella left forgotten on the floor, then reaches the door and grabs the handle hesitantly, pulling—

Benjamin laughs quietly at the sight, feeling his eyes prickle with tears.

There, Luo Fei is lying fast asleep, curled into a ball on his side—the good one—, and clutching something in his hand.

Benjamin isn’t angry that Luo Fei had been snooping around, going through his things.

Whatever is his also belongs to Luo Fei, and he doesn’t own much that isn’t related to him, in some way or another.


Benjamin bends down next to Luo Fei’s sleeping form and opens his tightly-closed fist gently, one finger at a time, to retrieve the object that Luo Fei is holding onto so fiercely.

It’s a photograph of Luo Fei and him, from their time at the academy. It had been taken on the day of their graduation—of that, Benjamin has a clear recollection. Benjamin gazes at the young him, feeling a wave of nostalgia come over him. Although he still looks very much like his old self, his face, which had been smooth and young then—almost boyish—has undergone a number of changes through the years. Indeed, the passing of time has left its mark on him, sharpening the round curves of his jaw and cheekbones, and leaving a thin network of barely visible lines in the corners of his eyes.

But Luo Fei... Luo Fei hasn’t changed.

He is still the same as the Luo Fei from all these years ago, for whom Benjamin had fallen so desperately hard.

Benjamin peers again at his own face and smiles at the obvious look of adoration that is being directed at his best friend.

Back then, he had been so transparent...

Giving the photograph one last glance, Benjamin stuffs it into his jacket’s breast pocket and picks Luo Fei up carefully. Luo Fei barely stirs at the movement and continues to sleep, undisturbed.

Everything Benjamin has done in his life has led to this point.

Now, more than ever before, he is determined to protect this man with all that he has and all that he is.

Benjamin will do anything—even if it kills him.

Notes:

I'm back with knives, sorry D: Angst flows in my blood, I can't help it haha
Thanks to everyone who took the time to read, and thanks xINFINITE to my exceptional beta and irreplaceable bff @ssp_amax ♥

Chapter 4: Unfolding

Summary:

After a small outing which could end up costing them more than they had foreseen, Luo Fei and Benjamin receive a phone call by a very familiar person. Xiaoman goes solo to investigate a suspicious factory, which puts her on a new trail.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Within the dark depths of the morgue, it’s near impossible for one to tell dusk from dawn without a watch, and this makes Luo Fei feel like time has ceased to exist here. Under different circumstances, he might have been grateful for the perfect setting this provides for him to focus on his work, but the isolation is starting to get to even this famously unsociable detective. Luo Fei doesn’t even know which day it is. How does Benjamin manage not to lose his mind?

As for the investigation, it’s progressing at a slow but steady pace. The initial search around Shanghai has failed to produce any tangible result, so Savoy’s men have been instructed to comb through each and every mill that can be found throughout the city—which is no small task, to say the least.

“Ben... Let’s go out for a bit. I’m tired of being stuck inside.”

Benjamin is presently filling out some paperwork at his desk which is occupied in part by Luo Fei’s posterior—hey, it’s not Luo Fei’s fault if the number of seating options is so limited here. Luo Fei has regained some of his strength and can move about more easily than before, almost without help now, but with the situation at a standstill, he hasn’t been able to leave this temporary shelter. While Benjamin has been busy with matters other than the case, Luo Fei hasn’t had much to do of late, and this forced seclusion is driving him up the walls. As such, Luo Fei is left with no other choice than to try to amuse himself by being an insufferable distraction to Benjamin, which, given Benjamin’s legendary patience, isn’t working out so well for him right now.

But Luo Fei is a tenacious man, and he has not had his final say.

“I wanna get a bit of fresh air and stretch my legs. With you. Come on, it’ll do us good.”

Benjamin’s pen stops on the page and he raises his eyes from his report slowly, pretending to genuinely think about this for a second, then promptly returns to his papers.

“No.”

The pen starts moving on the page again.

Faced with this refusal, Luo Fei’s determination instantly shoots through the roof.

Luo Fei stands up from his perch on the desk and walks around Benjamin’s chair, feeling Benjamin’s eyes follow him until Luo Fei disappears into Benjamin’s blind spot. There, Luo Fei places his hands around Benjamin’s nape tentatively, spying his reaction, then begins to massage the knots out of his shoulders, kneading the taut muscles he finds with dextrous hands. No matter how hard Benjamin tries to hide it, Luo Fei’s fingers need only graze his skin for him to tense up automatically—Luo Fei can almost feel Benjamin’s shivers underneath the thin white fabric of his dress shirt.

Luo Fei suppresses a laugh, already celebrating his resounding victory.

Encouraged, he presses on, feeling Benjamin slowly start to melt under his careful ministrations. “I promise we won’t be out for long. And besides, I’ll have you with me. What do you say?”

Luo Fei can tell the exact moment Benjamin starts to give in.

Relentless, he bends down to speak right into Benjamin’s ear.

“Let’s go. We’ll just walk around the block real quick and come back. And then...”

Luo Fei’s voice trails off in the air, full of unspoken promises. Benjamin jerks and drops his pen, which rolls off the desk and bounces on the floor, landing with a sharp sound which is amplified by the otherwise complete silence of the room, before coming to rest against the opposite wall.

Luo Fei gloats inwardly.

He’s got him—Benjamin is going to yield any second now...

“Then... we can do other things...” Luo Fei purrs, leaving the rest to Benjamin’s imagination. As he says these words, Luo Fei snakes one of his hands down Benjamin’s hard chest, exploring, reaching—...

But the situation reverses in a flash.

Benjamin suddenly catches Luo Fei’s wrist, stopping his wandering hand from going any further and whirling around to look at him, eyes dark with a lust that roots Luo Fei into place, and just a tiny hint of warning.

Or maybe it’s just Luo Fei’s overly active imagination talking.

Frozen to the spot, Luo Fei forgets to breathe while he waits for his sentence to be pronounced. He swallows hard.

After a short pause, Benjamin finally speaks. “Fine. We’ll go. But...”

Just as quickly, the moment seems to pass, and Benjamin smiles, reverting back to his usual self as he stands to his feet and walks up to his closet. Catching his breath, Luo Fei watches curiously as Benjamin rummages through its contents and retrieves a number of items, then returns to Luo Fei’s side, producing a hat, a scarf and a pair of sunglasses. When Luo Fei only stares at Benjamin wordlessly, Benjamin begins to dress him with the said articles of clothing. “But you have to wear this... this, and...” Benjamin places the bowler hat on Luo Fei’s head, admiring his work. “...there. Perfect.”

“I could have done it myself.” Luo Fei complains, pretending to be annoyed, but he doesn’t mind. Not really.

Luo Fei gives himself a quick once-over in the small circular mirror on the wall and fixes his hat, frowning at his reflexion. “You do realize this makes me look even more conspicuous, right?”

“It doesn’t matter, as long as no one knows it’s you.” Benjamin replies, giving Luo Fei a sidelong glance, then offers his hand for Luo Fei to take. “Let’s go before I change my mind.”

Luo Fei doesn’t need to be told twice.

As they step outside, Benjamin seems momentarily blinded by the light, and Luo Fei wishes he could take off his shades.

Above them, the sun is glowing bright in the autumn skies, but a crisp and chilly breeze is blowing piles of dead tree leaves through the air into colorful spirals, making the tail-end of Luo Fei’s trench coat flap in the wind.

Luo Fei wraps his coat tighter around himself, breathing in deeply.

The two of them walk in companionable silence, watching the hustle and bustle of the city around them. The sight feels so ordinary to Luo Fei that for a moment, he could almost fool himself into thinking that none of the recent events of the previous days—or is it weeks—happened. That Shanghai’s most notorious gang doesn’t currently want him dead. The fair weather immediately lifts Luo Fei’s spirits and he turns to grin conspiratorially at Benjamin who returns his smile twofold. Luo Fei’s heart thumps loudly in his chest at the sight: in the glaring sunlight, Benjamin’s beauty is dazzling.

Luo Fei forces himself to tear his gaze away and focus on the road ahead.

After a while, Luo Fei begins to suffer the effects of being bed-ridden and holed-up inside for so long. Weary at last, Luo Fei stops in his tracks. Benjamin gives him an inquiring look.

“We’ll stop here.” Luo Fei announces. “I’m a little tired.”

Benjamin nods silently in agreement and they enter a small park, sitting down on a nearby bench.

Letting out a satisfied sigh, Luo Fei rubs at his sore thighs energetically, revelling in the long-lost, tingling sensation of the blood flowing through his legs, then spots Benjamin observing him with barely-concealed amusement.

“Does it feel good?” Benjamin asks pleasantly, crossing his legs and sitting back against the bench in a relaxed pose.

The light breeze sweeps Benjamin’s bangs over his forehead, and it takes all of Luo Fei’s self-control to stop himself from smoothing it back to reveal Benjamin’s elegant brow. “Very.” Luo Fei answers sincerely, making himself comfortable too.

The two stay like this for an unknown amount of time without saying a word, watching the children skipping about in the puddles of mud, which are rather telling evidence of the previous night’s showers. As the day progresses, the park begins to fill with more people, and Benjamin’s discomfort becomes evident. “Maybe we should go back.” He suggests, straightening in his seat and preparing to set out. “We’ve been out for a while now.”

Luo Fei protests drowsily, rising from the semi-conscious state he had started slipping into. “But it’s so nice out today... Can’t we stay a bit longer?” Luo Fei pleads, and Benjamin reluctantly acquiesces. “...Alright.”

Luo Fei grins in response, then scoots closer to Benjamin on the bench, stealing Benjamin’s hand from his lap.

Benjamin jumps at the touch, trying to take his hand away, but Luo Fei stubbornly holds onto it, refusing to give it back.

“Luo Fei... We’re in public. This isn’t–... After all, we–... we’re–...”

Luo Fei quirks an eyebrow, not seeing Benjamin’s point. “Pray tell, how does that have anything to do with me?”

“Don’t be childish. Let go of my hand.”

“Never. I’ll never let go.” Luo Fei declares, bringing Benjamin’s hand to his mouth and kissing the delicate knuckles.

Benjamin blushes, throwing furtive looks around. “...Luo Fei. People are looking at us.”

“Since when do we care what others think? Ben, I thought we’d been over that already, a long time ago? What does it change, and why should it matter? Nonsense. If I want to go on a stroll with my super smart—not to mention extraordinarily good-looking—husband, it’s my own damn business.”

Benjamin shakes his head and smiles in spite of himself, looking down at their interlaced fingers.

“...Ha. We’re not married, though.”

“Not yet.”

This time, Benjamin lets out a hearty laugh, looking like he’s seriously wondering why he’s even discussing this matter with Luo Fei, then he takes a deep breath, as if bracing himself for a hard truth.

“Luo Fei. I admire your progressive mindset, but there are some who would have very diverging views.”

“Well, they can keep their views to themselves. I don’t want to hear them. Come, let’s walk a bit more.” Luo Fei states decisively, getting up and dragging Benjamin along with him. However, as the two of them make their way back to the main street, Luo Fei suddenly feels Benjamin’s firm hand on his back, pushing him forward.

“Luo Fei... Don’t turn around.” Benjamin warns him, walking at a leisurely pace to keep up appearances. “I just realized that man over there had been staring at us since we arrived. I think he’s following us now.”

Luo Fei’s expression darkens, and he pulls his hat down lower over his eyes.

“Let’s hurry back, then.”

Hopefully, their stalker would know better than to try to follow them inside a police station.

******

As soon as Benjamin and Luo Fei step inside the station, they witness a large commotion taking place in the main hall.

An officer is being reprimanded by Savoy, spluttering excuses. “Sir, I swear I don’t know where they are–...”

Sensing trouble brewing ahead, Luo Fei motions for Benjamin to follow after him, suggesting that they sneak past the scene unnoticed and pretend that they hadn’t left the premises in the first place, while Benjamin shakes his head in disapproval, frowning at Luo Fei for even thinking of trying to deceive their boss. While the two of them are having this gestural squabble, their presence suddenly becomes known, and they struggle to find an excuse to justify their actions.          

“We can explain.” They both say at once.

Arms crossed, Savoy calmly regards Luo Fei—then Benjamin—waiting for them to elucidate this mystery for him.

Unsurprisingly, Benjamin bows his head in shame, attempting to take the fall for Luo Fei. “Sir, it was my idea. I presumed that the fresh air would be beneficial to Luo Fei’s health, but it was a mistake. Please don’t think too badly of him.”

Aghast, Luo Fei hurries to clear up the misunderstanding. Oh no, he won’t stand for this.

“What the... Sir, Benjamin’s just trying to cover up for me. Don’t listen to him!”

Savoy makes a dismissive gesture as Benjamin looks about ready to state his case further. “Luo Fei—you have been dragging Benjamin into your schemes for as long as I have known you, and Benjamin has always been too loyal to you to refuse you or betray you. Benjamin—this is both your biggest strength and weakness. Don’t forget that.”

“Schemes...” Luo Fei protests at the choice of word. “That’s a bit harsh, maybe?”

“It’s too lenient, in fact.” Savoy retorts, giving Luo Fei a long, measuring look—the very picture of a scolding father.

Then, Savoy’s expression softens, making it obvious that his apparent anger was only thinly-veiled concern.

“Hmph. Well, as long as you’re unharmed. Do be careful if you have to go out again.”

Once that’s out of the way, Savoy cuts to the chase. “Actually, there’s something I want to discuss with you. Follow me.”

******

In Savoy’s office, Luo Fei closes the door behind him as Savoy settles down behind his desk, before tottering over and joining Benjamin in one of the chairs facing Savoy, grateful for the small break on his legs. Savoy begins briefing them. “My men searched every mill that exists around Shanghai and interrogated the owners and even some of their workers, but they came back with nothing to show for it. Though I suppose that if any of those factories were violating the law, they wouldn’t advertise it on a sign right outside their front door, I’m not convinced they’re all above suspicion.” Savoy hands a stack of papers out for Luo Fei, who takes them gratefully. “You may find something useful in these files, which contain detailed information about their operations and finances. Feel free to look through them as you like.”

“Of course. Thank you, sir.”

Having finally found something to get his teeth into, Luo Fei begins perusing the files with interest while Savoy makes small talk with Benjamin, picking one at random and flipping through its pages, but at first glance, nothing particularly stands out to him. Luo Fei quickly becomes completely engrossed with his task—losing track of time—and before long, he manages to get through a handful of them. But he soon comes to a rather perplexing realization, which he brings to the attention of his partner and his superior.

“This one,” Luo Fei waves the folder currently in his hand, “doesn’t have any records of sale. It pays its taxes and bills—unfailingly so, actually, their standing is absolutely spotless—but it’s like it doesn’t engage in trade. Or at least not in the legal sense. There’s no trace of anything.”

“Maybe they forgot to provide that specific document? Or it was misplaced by someone, or lost?” Benjamin suggests.

“Could be...” Luo Fei mumbles under his breath, scratching his chin. “But it’s not likely.”

Something isn’t right...

Although the absence of that very document could be due to negligence, Luo Fei can’t shake off the feeling that there is more to this than meets the eye.

Given the suspicion that he harbours, he subjects the other files to intense scrutiny, and soon finds others that match this description. “These two are the same. No record of any transaction whatsoever. They do have some deliveries to the factory listed—but it’s just raw cotton for the machines. Nothing strange here.” Setting the file back on Savoy’s desk, he crosses his arms and leans back in his chair, his eyes slowing losing their focus as he mulls over the matter in his head.

As Det Sup Savoy and Benjamin share a knowing look, someone knocks at the door. Savoy calls them in.

“Sir.” The officer salutes as he steps in the room. “Officer Li reporting, sir. There’s a new missing persons case.”

Savoy waves the officer over and tells him to leave the file on his desk, then dismisses him.

Catching sight of Luo Fei’s hungry stare, Savoy gestures for him to have a look at the file, which Luo Fei does not waste one instant to get his hands on. As he opens it and lays it flat against the desk, Luo Fei is met with the cheerful face of a young girl who cannot be older than seventeen, followed by the name ‘Luo Xiaoling’. Well, if one thing is for sure, it’s that Huo Wensi is one consistent bastard, although this farce has been going on long enough. This needs to end now.

As Luo Fei is filled with renewed determination, another thought crosses his mind.

What if...

“Sir, what if Huo Wensi is not using the kidnappings just to get to me? What if the two cases are linked? I know, we don’t have any solid proof that he’s the one responsible—nor Captain’s syndicate for that matter—but you have to admit it’s strange that only policemen are being targeted. And those girls who are the same age, and have the same surname as...” Luo Fei stops himself mid-sentence, unable to even say his sister’s name out loud. “He’s trying to get inside my head.”

And it’s working. Luo Fei thinks to himself, knowing by Benjamin’s look that he too knows how much it’s affecting him.

Savoy processes this information, not appearing to be entirely convinced.

“Whether it’s true or not—this is just conjecture. We need evidence.” Savoy announces somberly, observing the two men in front of him, before zeroing in on Luo Fei. “Luo Fei. What would you suggest we do next?”

“In any case, we should look into those missing transactions. Have Xiaoman check out the port: if there’s any doubt to have over what’s coming out of those factories, we should probably question what’s coming in, too.”

Savoy nods and grunts his approval, then dismisses them as well.

Luo Fei is hoping that this isn’t just a distraction, and that he isn’t getting farther away from his answer.

But he must leave no stone unturned. He has to make sure.

******

Although their little outing had initially brightened up Luo Fei and Benjamin’s mood, the two now feel rather strongly the constant threat looming over their heads, and cannot bring themselves to relax. Luo Fei has a strong sense that he alone is to blame for the murders and disappearances, which he hopes will remain just that—disappearances—and not turn up any more bodies to add to the growing pile. Overall, the recent escalation of crime—for which he can find no explanation other than his own simple existence—is starting to weigh heavy on his conscience.

“I’m gonna go lie down a bit. I’m tired.” Luo Fei says to Benjamin who is studying him carefully. In both of their minds, the earlier promises of intimacy have long been replaced by darker, far less enthusing thoughts.

“Okay.” Benjamin smiles, a bit sadly, squeezing Luo Fei’s shoulder. “Call me if you need anything.”

After Luo Fei disappears to the bedroom to recuperate, Benjamin returns to his desk, intent on finishing up the work he had been immersed in before Luo Fei had so delightfully interrupted it.

However, Benjamin has barely sat down in his chair when the phone rings. He reaches for the handset and takes the call.

“Hello?”

[Benjamin.]

The voice is chillingly familiar, and pure hatred engulfs Benjamin’s heart instantly at its recognition.

[What a pleasure it is to address a colleague of like mind. I must say... I’ve had to keep rather poor company these days. Another thing we have in common.] A brief pause on the line. Inaudible voices in the background. The sound of breathing. [I suppose you’ve gotten a lot busier lately, what with all those corpses cropping up everyday.]

You and I are nothing alike. Benjamin thinks to himself, not taking the bait.

“...Huo Wensi.” Benjamin replies coolly—trying to appear as calm and collected as he can be—but actually boiling with anger on the inside. “Was that a confession? Do you admit that these men died by your hand, or under your orders?”

Huo Wensi laughs humorlessly, dodging the question. [I won’t waste your time, nor mine. Just let me talk to Luo Fei.]

“I don’t know where he is.” Benjamin blatantly lies, knowing fully well that the other won’t be fooled that easily.

 I’ll never let you get near him again, even if it is just over the phone.

This time, Huo Wensi’s laugh is genuine, and he sounds positively amused by Benjamin’s reply. [And you expect me to believe that? That you don’t know where Luo Fei is? You honestly think I’m unaware of what he is to you? Me, of all people?] Huo Wensi scoffs, his voice both detached and repulsed, distorted as it is by the device—as if someone like him were above such trivial things from the realm of mortals, and Benjamin was a fool for falling victim to it. [Even a blind man could tell, so it’s no mystery to me.]

“What do you want?” Benjamin hisses in reply as he ignores the obvious (and almost successful) attempt at getting under his skin, hating Huo Wensi with every fiber of his being. He wants to end this conversation as quickly as possible, but knows that this chance to have Huo Wensi on the line might not come again.

“Ben. Give me the phone.”

Benjamin jumps and blanches at the noise, turning to meet Luo Fei’s gaze as if he’d forgotten that he was still around, then shakes his head stubbornly, gripping the handset until his knuckles turn white as Luo Fei continues to advance.

Eyes widening slightly, Benjamin takes a step back, trying to convey with his expression that Luo Fei must not contact Huo Wensi in any way whatsoever—that he must stay as far from him as possible, for as long as he can. That Huo Wensi will take whatever Luo Fei says and use it to find him—and hurt him—something that Benjamin cannot bear to see happen again. Luo Fei reaches his side and gently wraps his hand around Benjamin’s, uncurling Benjamin’s long slender fingers one by one from around the device.

Defeated, Benjamin drops in his chair, dully, as Luo Fei brings the phone to his ear.

“You disappear without a trace, and I don’t even get a call? I thought we were closer than that.”

Huo Wensi scoffs at this, and Luo Fei can tell he’s smirking when he answers. [I’m calling now, aren’t I? And correct me if I’m wrong, but you’re the one who’s been avoiding me, while I’ve been racking my brain for ways to get your attention.]

Luo Fei’s lips twist in a humourless smile, his eyes turning cold.

Like he needs to be reminded of that.

Already, this fake sense of camaraderie is making him sick, and Luo Fei finds that he can’t keep up his act any longer.

Time to cut right to the chase.

“Here’s what we’ll do, Doc. I’ll give you a chance to give yourself up. Surrender, and we’ll be more lenient towards you. You know we’re going to get you in the end, so why not make this easier for all of us?”

[But I haven’t done anything wrong, Detective Luo. I just want to have a little chat with you. That’s all.] Huo Wensi feigns innocence, and Luo Fei’s fist clenches at his side. How dare he dismiss all those lost, precious lives?

Still, Luo Fei can’t allow himself to get angry, which is exactly what Huo Wensi wants.

“So, you’re going to play hard to get, then. You know, that only makes me want to catch you more.”

Huo Wensi lets out a scornful laugh, and there’s another sound behind him—something mechanic like the muffled whirring of a machine. Luo Fei strains his ears to hear more, but he can’t figure out what’s happening, nor can he make sense of the words being spoken in the background in muted tones.

[Luo Fei... I’ll tell you what. You come to me, and the girls might just magically find their way back home.]

“That won’t bring back the honorable men you killed, you son of a bitch.” Luo Fei growls angrily, then pauses for a beat, as if weighing his options. “I’ll think about it.” Luo Fei adds quickly before hanging up, promptly ending the call.

“What did he want?” Benjamin asks casually as Luo Fei starts pacing around the room.

“For me to give myself up, basically. And don’t look at me like that... I didn’t agree. I said I’d think about it.”

“You were bargaining with a criminal... Do you realize how dangerous that is?” Benjamin asks carefully, as if he doesn’t want to insult Luo Fei’s intelligence, but genuinely wonders whether or not Luo Fei has factored that in.

“That may be true, but I can’t just sit here while people are killed and abducted. By my fault.” Luo Fei emphasizes.

Because that’s really what’s eating at him right now, more than the threat to his life.

Guilt. Overwhelming, crushing guilt.

“...Luo Fei.” Benjamin stands from his seat, his voice raising automatically as his anger towards Huo Wensi resurfaces. “No matter what the conditions are... Huo Wensi will never hold up his end of the bargain. You can’t trust him!”

“Then what am I supposed to do?!” Luo Fei snaps suddenly, stopping dead in his tracks to stare straight at Benjamin.

Of course, Luo Fei is right—as usual.

But although Benjamin isn’t sure what to say to that, he knows he can’t agree with this plan.

“...This is such a bad idea.” He mutters miserably, lowering his gaze.

Luo Fei sighs, then walks over to stand in front of Benjamin, who peers up at him helplessly. “Maybe it is, but I can’t do nothing about it. People died because of me. It’s my responsibility.”

“You’re a brave and noble man, Luo Fei. I’ve always admired that about you.” Benjamin says—barely over a whisper—a small smile ghosting on his lips as he observes Luo Fei fondly. “But this? This is madness. We’re talking about the biggest criminal organisation in Shanghai. Have you forgotten what happened the last time you decided to play the hero? Because I know I haven’t. Which is why I can’t let you do this.”

“Look, Ben... Ultimately, this is between Huo Wensi—... No, it’s between Captain and me. So you really don’t need to concern yourself with this, okay? It’s my problem—not yours.”

Upon seeing the wounded look in Benjamin’s eyes, Luo Fei appears to immediately regret his words.

But it’s too late to take them back.

“What do you mean? Of course it’s my concern.” Benjamin replies, frowning, feeling hurt by Luo Fei’s dismissal. “Besides, your life isn’t yours to do with as you will. There are people who care about you...”

Benjamin doesn’t finish his thought, but the rest of his sentence hangs heavy in the air.

People who can’t live without you. Who would be lost without you.

“Ben... You know that’s not what I meant—”

“Luo Fei.” Benjamin interrupts him. “I was there too that day... when you... when Captain...” He pauses, closing his eyes for a moment, as if remembering a particularly painful memory. “I want him to pay for what he did to you as much as you do, but you can’t set me aside whenever it’s convenient. It just doesn’t work like that.”

Luo Fei lowers his head in shame, just now realizing the magnitude of what he had said.

“You’re right. I’m an asshole. That was a terrible thing for me to say. I’m sorry, Ben.”

“You don’t need to apologize.” Benjamin caresses Luo Fei’s cheek with a sad smile. “But please, let me help you.”

Luo Fei returns Benjamin’s smile and nods, accepting this compromise. “Listen, I know how you feel. For what it’s worth, I’m not thrilled about it either. But I can’t sit still like this anymore. So... let’s sleep on this and discuss it with Savoy tomorrow, alright? We’ll figure out a way to do this together. Now, let’s talk about something else. I believe we still have some unfinished business...” Luo Fei trails off in a seductive tone, pushing Benjamin down on the chair slowly and straddling his lap. “Hey, the way you stood up for me back then? I thought it was really attractive.”

With an enigmatic smile, Benjamin looks up as Luo Fei bends down, stopping him halfway by grabbing his chin gently.

“Luo Fei, you’re still healing.” Benjamin chides him, although in a very unconvincing manner.

“Are you questioning my stamina again? ‘Cause I know a challenge when I see one and you are so on, my friend.“

Benjamin chuckles. “What about the door?”

Luo Fei smirks in obvious self-satisfaction as he starts loosening Benjamin’s tie slowly. “Locked it already. Xiaoman made a very good point the other day. We should learn from our past mistakes.”

Laughing again, Benjamin closes the distance between them.

******

Xiaoman sneezes, then looks at her surroundings.

The port of Shanghai is as busy as ever, bustling with merchants of all types of trades, and housing a great number of modern buildings. Given the fact that it holds the status of international treaty port, it also welcomes its fair share of foreigners all year round, vastly contributing to Shanghai’s rapidly diversifying economy.

Before she had first come to Shanghai and started working alongside Luo Fei as a policewoman, Xiaoman had only ever been to such places in daydreams that were fueled by what she had read in books. But now that she had made Shanghai her new home, she liked to come here during her free time just to lose herself amongst the crowds, to take in the sights of the ever-changing sea, and to breathe in the fresh air and various smells wafting from the streetfood vendors’ carts. Every time she visited, the experience was unique, and she never got tired of the place.

Today, however, is a different matter. She’s here on important business.

Xiaoman marches towards the wharf with all the confidence she feels in herself, ignoring the occasional whistle or lewd remark thrown her way. As a woman, she is used to this demeaning treatment, but she feels revolted by the fact that this behavior is perpetuated even by fellow officers of the law, which is an insult to the profession.

Be that as it may, she doesn’t have time to deal with idiots.

“Good day, gentlemen!” Xiaoman greets the two guards standing watch near the cargo unloading area, who watch her approaching—she mentally notes—with a mix of curiosity and disdain. “Officer Qin Xiaoman from the French Concession police department. I was sent here on official business by my superior, Detective Superintendent Savoy, to conduct a search of some of the cargo in relation to an ongoing top-secret case.” Xiaoman explains to the guards, producing her police badge and letter of authorization signed by Savoy’s own hand. “Thank you in advance for your cooperation.”

The two men share an amused look.

“I’ve never seen a lady cop in my life before!”

“Yeah, me neither! That badge looks fake, and I bet the letter is, too.”

“Sorry, lady. We can’t let you do that. Now, if you’ll please be on your way? We have a job to do.”

Xiaoman purses her lips. Isn’t this part of their job, too?

It’s not like Xiaoman wasn’t expecting some form of opposition. In general, she firmly believes that positive thinking can go a long way in achieving something, but her cheerful optimism sometimes fails at her own expense.

Time to bring out the big guns—figuratively, of course.

               

She begins, “gentlemen, please collaborate or I will have to arrest you on charges of obstruction of justice”, which is laying it on a bit thick since she’s currently outnumbered two-to-one, but Xiaoman soon realizes that the men have turned the other way and are ignoring her. She bristles. What a complete lack of manners!

Normally, she wouldn’t have let this matter go, but Xiaoman isn’t in the mood to argue right now, so she pretends to follow the guards’ advice and take her leave.

Once she has made sure that no one is paying attention to her, however, she hides behind a mountain of crates and grabs a lone box sitting there on its own. Upon closer examination, she realizes that the address looks familiar: indeed, it seems to be the location of one of the three factories that Luo Fe has singled out from the rest. After retrieving from her jacket pocket the piece of paper containing the details of the mills that she had scribbled out in haste before her departure from the station, she’s able to confirm that fact.

Looks like luck is finally on her side.

Scanning her surroundings one last time to verify that nobody is in sight, Xiaoman retrieves a small utility knife from her bag and proceeds to cut the box open, revealing white puffs of raw cotton—as is to be expected.

But she can’t shake off a strange feeling... Part of it is her own instinct, while the other part comes from hanging around Luo Fei so much. She reaches in with her hand and digs through the box, searching through the fluffy cotton balls, thinking that she might have been mistaken after all when her fingers hit something else altogether—something hard and... square? Xiaoman takes the mysterious object out of the box and brings it up at eye level.

The brownish color doesn’t lie.

Opium. She knew it.

Xiaoman doesn’t think the guards would take kindly to the fact that she went behind their backs, so it’s probably better if she keeps this to herself for now. And besides, if this really is a lead for the murders or the kidnappings—or both, assuming that Luo Fei’s suspicions turn out to be true—Xiaoman doesn’t want to risk an impromptu police raid getting in the way of solving the case. Drugs are a real problem, but human lives are more important. She needs to look at the bigger picture. Xiaoman promises herself to tell Savoy about this as soon as she gets back.

For now, she wants to look into this suspicious factory and its very questionable ways.

Xiaoman picks herself up and, pushing the crate out of view with her foot, sneaks out of her hiding place and rejoins the crowds to blend among the people, concealing her presence until she returns to her car. Once she’s safely back in her vehicle, Xiaoman takes the slip of paper with the mills’ addresses out of her pocket to make sure she has the right place, then sets out for her destination, determined to shed light on this mystery.

******

This particular factory isn’t located far from the port, so Xiaoman arrives there in a very short time.

On the outside, it looks like a perfectly normal industrial building, but Xiaoman knows better than to trust appearances.

Bracing herself, Xiaoman walks up to the front entrance and makes her presence known, afterwhich she is let in and questioned about the reason for her visit. She hurries to explain why she has come—her speech is polished and ready after she rehearsed it in the car on the way there—but there is one thing she hadn’t prepared for.

“Someone already came a day or two ago... ‘Suppose a colleague of yours beat you to it.”

Darn it—Luo Fei had told her, too! How could she have forgotten?

Xiaoman recovers quickly from her temporary loss of composure. “I-Is that so...? Ah, but since I came all the way here, do you think I could... maybe have a quick look around? I’m very quiet. You won’t even notice I’m here!” Xiaoman says enthusiastically, putting on her most charming smile—though this is a blatant lie if ever there was one. For some reason, her performance seems to work on the man, whose uptight bearing loosens up a bit.

Maybe the fact that she is a woman does sometimes come in handy after all.

“Alright, but make it quick.” The man tells her with a dismissive gesture. “We’re on a tight schedule here.”

“Of course, of course!”

Xiaoman begins to make her rounds and observe how the business operates, pretending to take great interest in the processing and manufacturing of cotton byproducts, but actually looking for red flags of illegal or disreputable practices.

In the distance, she can see the factory supervisor watching her like a hawk.

She probably shouldn’t stick around too long.

Wondering whether this might be considered crossing a line, Xiaoman approaches a group of young girls gathered around a low table, eating scraps of food in complete silence. The girls are extremely thin—their youthful faces emaciated and covered in dirt, making them look older than they probably are—but Xiaoman isn’t fooled. She walks up to them to introduce herself, hoping that her voice will be covered by the sound of the machines and that the man won’t figure out what she’s trying to do before she has the chance to do it.

She holds out her hand in a friendly manner. “Hi. I’m Qin Xiaoman. What’s your name?”

The young women share a worried look. No answer.

Unabated, Xiaoman presses on, turning to a shorter, light-haired girl who keeps throwing furtive looks at her as if she wants to say something. ”You all look a bit young to be working here. Don’t you have school to go to?”

The girl looks at her still-extended hand and stutters, visibly flustered. “Oh! Uh... No. No, I’m twenty... one...”

The question is more a test than anything else. The girl—who is sixteen at best—is obviously lying. Why would she hide the truth from the police unless she had more to lose from speaking out than remaining silent? “Oh, I see, I see.” Xiaoman smiles cheerfully, trying to get the group of girls to warm up to her and maybe—hopefully—reveal some handy information that she can use to get them out of here, where they are quite possibly held against their wills. “So... How long have you been working in this factory? Do you like it here?”

Before the girl can answer, another one steps forward and pushes her to the side protectively.

“Sorry, ma’am, but we should really get back to work.”

Xiaoman curses inwardly, although she isn’t surprised. The girls are obviously afraid to be punished if they tell the truth, but there is no doubt in Xiaoman’s mind that they are being mistreated and forced to work under inhumane conditions. If only she had brought backup, maybe there is something she could have done, but Xiaoman guesses that will have to wait until she reports back to Savoy with her findings.

Another thing is bothering her. It may be a coincidence, but these workers are about the same age as the young missing women, although Xiaoman doesn’t recognize any of their faces.

Anyway, regardless of that, Xiaoman is dead set on rescuing the girls from this hell hole.

As she ponders over this, waving goodbye to the girls, Xiaoman feels something being slipped inside her pocket.

She freezes momentarily, then continues on her way, not looking back to see who it was.

Only then does Xiaoman notice that the factory supervisor is heading her way, looking extremely unhappy. Xiaoman instinctively moves her hand over the place where her gun holster rests against her hip, concealed under her wool coat. “What a lovely little factory you have here. Truly a masterpiece!” Xiaoman exclaims before the man can utter a word, her smile so wide that her cheeks are starting to hurt. “Gentlemen, this was a very enriching experience, but it’s getting a bit late, so I’ll be on my way now!” She rambles on, starting to feel nervous when she notices two other dangerous-looking individuals—dressed in black and wearing shades—begin to make their way towards her from across the room.

Gulping, Xiaoman starts backing up, bowing her head and smiling, and thanking the men for the visit, until she reaches the front entrance, where she waves at everyone one last time and slips out into the night. Only then does she allow herself to look away from the doors, but the whole time that she is striding towards her car, Xiaoman expects a bullet to come flying out at her, which, thankfully, doesn’t happen.

Once she reaches her vehicle, Xiaoman drives off at full throttle and doesn’t stop until she has put a comfortable enough distance between herself and the factory. Finally, she stops the car by the side of the road and fishes in her pocket. Inside, she finds two pieces of paper: first, the note with the addresses that she jotted down herself and...

Another one.

Intrigued, Xiaoman takes out the mysterious paper and brings it up into the receding light filtering through the window.

this is the place you’re looking for
my sister is there... please save her
—wei

The message is followed by an address, not one that Xiaoman remembers seeing before. It’s not located inside Shanghai, but rather in a small town right outside the city. If this is another mill, no wonder Savoy’s men never found it...

Xiaoman thinks for a second, then makes up her mind.

Determined, she gets out of the car and walks up to a phone booth, gripping both paper notes in her fist.

After the stunt Xiaoman just pulled, the men at the factory will probably keep their guard up now, so she will have to act quickly. First, Xiaoman will give Savoy a call to warn him so he can send his men in, and then she’ll look into the new lead she just got. Xiaoman could have used some reinforcement, but it would not do to delay this any longer. Enough time has been wasted already. Besides, Xiaoman plans to do a bit of recon work—nothing more—then return immediately.

Savoy isn’t at the station when she calls, so Xiaoman leaves a message to one of his subordinates, then sets out to do what she does best: her job.

It’s not like she has never done anything like this before. She’ll definitely be fine on her own.

******

Benjamin isn’t sure what disrupts his sleep, but when he finally manages to pull himself out of his deep slumber, the first thing he notices when he comes to is the cold. Or rather, it’s the absence of a warm living being pressed against his ribs, their breathing slow and regular, of wiry arms wrapped tightly around his waist, of a face buried in the crook of his neck, and of a rough beard tickling his skin. Still half-asleep, Benjamin rolls to the side groggily, and his hand automatically reaches for something—someone—but does not connect with the solid body he was hoping to find.

The sheets are cold, and Luo Fei is gone.

Wondering where Luo Fei could have wandered to in the middle of the night, Benjamin sits up slowly and rubs his eyes, shivering when the last remnants of warmth are robbed from him and the cool air hits his bare shoulders. Benjamin crawls out of bed, searching blindly for his slippers in the dark and stifling a yawn, then grabs his dressing gown hanging from the closet door and wraps it around his naked torso, fumbling with the belt in his foggy state of mind.

Benjamin shuffles across the room to the bathroom and turns on the lights, squeezing his eyes shut at the visual assault.

As expected, there is no one here.

Refusing to jump to conclusions and panic needlessly once again, Benjamin first ensures that Luo Fei isn’t in any of the other rooms—he isn’t—then starts down the long path connecting the morgue to the outside world, navigating around this familiar route with ease. Once he emerges from the dark corridor and enters the station’s main hall, he notices light filtering out of the small break room through the partly open door. Suddenly, Benjamin feels very silly for entertaining even for a second the thought that something wrong might have happened.

Of course—Luo Fei always says there’s nothing like a nice cup of coffee to fight insomnia, and to say that Luo Fei had been having trouble sleeping lately would be quite the understatement.

Benjamin pushes the door open, blinking a few times at the brightness. “Luo Fei...?”

But again, the room is empty.

A chair, however, rests lamely on its side, as if overturned in the middle of a struggle. On the floor lies a teacup—or what remains of it—shards of broken porcelain swimming in a puddle of what indeed smells like coffee. Droplets of the bitter drink are splattered across the wall, not quite dried yet. There is no blood—nor body—on the scene, Benjamin is relieved to find. But the only person who could have been here a mere instant ago is nowhere to be found, which can only mean that what Benjamin had been fearing the most has befallen him at last.

Someone finally got to Luo Fei... He wasn’t able to protect him after all.

Benjamin crouches down next to the evidence and scans the room, trying to reconstruct the crime.

Someone must have found a way to bypass the station’s security system. Perhaps they had come in during the day and hidden, waiting until nightfall to strike at a time when Luo Fei was at his most vulnerable, still hazy from sleep... alone. Whoever had done this must have known that Luo Fei was hiding out here and that he suffered from chronic insomnia. That he was likely to come here at night when sleep was making itself scarce.

They must have sneaked in from behind and grabbed him, while Benjamin slept the night away, completely unaware.

Benjamin picks himself up, shivering. Luo Fei had never stood a chance.

How had they managed to get in? And who was ‘they’? Could it have been that man from the other day who had spied their small moment of peace and tried to follow them home? Or had someone from the inside betrayed them?

Well, no matter: that isn’t important right now.

Time is of the essence, and Benjamin can’t waste it on conjecture. He has to get help.

After making sure that Luo Fei hasn’t only stepped out for a smoke—the coast is clear, Benjamin notes before closing the door carefully, locking it—he strides back to the morgue, debating whilst walking what he should do or who he should call. However, as he gets closer to his destination, the insistent ringing of the phone fills his ears, and he hurries to cover the remaining distance to the device, practically ripping the handset off its base in his haste.

“Hello?!” Benjamin asks urgently, feeling like his heart is about to burst out of his chest.

[Benjamin. Did something happen? You sound upset.]

When Savoy’s gruff voice comes out of the speaker, Benjamin feels instantly relieved. Grounded, even. He clutches the phone like a lifeline. “Sir... It’s Luo Fei. H-He’s gone. I... I woke up and he was... gone...” As he says them, the words finally sink in, and a rush of cold comes over him as reality hits hard, enormous guilt tearing at his insides. “...I’m sorry, sir. You asked me to look after him, but I let you down. I let both of you down.”

[We knew the risks, Benjamin. Don’t blame yourself. None of this is your fault.]

Benjamin exhales slowly, then remembers something. “Sir... Was there something you wanted to—...?”

Savoy sighs.

[I’m afraid we have yet another problem on our hands. According to Wang Susu, Xiaoman didn’t return home last night. As you know, she went to investigate the factories that Luo Fei pointed out as suspicious, but no one has seen her since.]

Benjamin had had a lot on his mind the day before, so he had forgotten about that. Earlier today, Xiaoman had come to see them before leaving on her mission. Benjamin had voiced his concern for her safety given the fact that she was an officer and a woman, and told her to take care. But Xiaoman hadn’t been afraid. For as long as Benjamin had known her, she had always been brave and fearless. Benjamin wished he had half her courage.

Savoy’s voice drags Benjamin out of his thoughts.

[I’m coming over right now. Stay calm, and don’t move. Oh, and Benjamin?]

Benjamin clears his throat and focuses on steadying his voice as he addresses his superior, but he knows he’s fooling neither Savoy nor himself. Besides, Savoy is so much more to Benjamin than simply his boss, and at the moment, Benjamin needs someone to tell him that everything is going to be okay. “Yes, sir?”

[Don’t worry. We’ll definitely find them.]

Benjamin closes his eyes. “...I hope you’re right, sir.”

After hanging up, Benjamin shuffles back to his bedroom to get dressed, then returns to his office and sinks down into his chair, burying his head in his hands. Now, all he can do is wait.

Wait and pray.

Notes:

OH NOES D: Luo Fei's in trouble again...

Thanks everyone for the kudos and comments, and thanks for reading ^_^ You don't know how much this means to me! Keep spreading the BenFei love guys ♥ This goes without saying, but a big THANK YOU to @ssp_amax for your eternal love and support, and taking the time to beta this and give me feedback sfasghafshg

Chapter 5: Retribution

Summary:

Luo Fei wakes up in an unknown place, while Benjamin and the French Concession police department set out to rescue him from his dire fate. As tensions rise, the three friends find that their real enemy isn't who they had first imagined.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Warning: Some scenes might be disturbing to some readers (violence, blood, [mention of] prostitution). Proceed with caution.

Luo Fei wakes up in a cramped space, feeling nauseous and confused: his entire world is rocking left and right, shrouded in complete darkness, and he can’t tell which way is up and which way is down. The air is scarce, making Luo Fei, who feels like he might just pass out again any time soon, unable to breathe properly. He tries to move to a more comfortable position, but he finds that his hands are tied. After a few unsuccessful attempts, Luo Fei stops struggling, unable to break free from his bonds. It’s probably best if he preserves his strength.

Judging by the constant swaying and the humming sound underneath him, he must be inside a moving vehicle.

Luo Fei wills himself to remember... How had he gotten here in the first place?

He had been lying next to Benjamin, staring at the ceiling for hours on end while his lover and best friend slept peacefully by his side. While Luo Fei had been comfortably wrapped inside Benjamin’s arms, his mind was buzzing so loudly with thoughts that it was a wonder Benjamin couldn’t hear the ruckus that they made. Luo Fei didn’t want his restlessness to wake up Benjamin so, after much deliberation, he had finally mustered the courage to leave the warmth of his embrace for a rather cheap yet effective trade-off: coffee.

But Luo Fei hadn’t even had the chance to dip his lips into the hot beverage when a pair of strong hands had grabbed him from behind. It had taken Luo Fei’s mind, hazy with sleep, a few seconds to understand what was happening to him. As his eyes were being blindfolded and a dirty rag was being stuffed inside his mouth, Luo Fei had tried fighting back, kicking down a chair in the process, but his attackers—he assumed there were more than just one of them—obviously hadn’t liked his sudden renewed vigor.

At this point, Luo Fei guesses, his captors must have knocked him out—if his throbbing head is any indication—because he can’t remember anything beyond that.

Luo Fei could still be safe in the morgue. Why hadn’t he just stayed there?

Yet, if he hadn’t gone to meet his fate head-on, Benjamin’s life might have been in danger, and this he couldn’t accept.

Luo Fei exhales slowly, trying to stay calm. I might have to quit coffee after this...

Suddenly, the car comes to a stop, along with the movement and the noise. Luo Fei braces himself, holding his breath. There is a sound like approaching footsteps, followed by the metallic creaking of a trunk lid being opened as well as a dull thunk. Luo Fei looks up at his assailants’ faces out of reflex, but not surprisingly, he sees nothing.

Luo Fei feels himself being pulled effortlessly out of the tight compartment onto his feet, and he relishes the ability to move his sore limbs again, though he feeling is short-lived as an unknown voice orders him to move if he values his life.

As if the command wasn’t eloquent enough, the barrel of a gun is pressed into his back.

Message received loud and clear, Luo Fei thinks bitterly.

Luo Fei starts walking—or rather, tries to, stumbling more often than not as he fumbles in the cool autumn night, regretting that he hadn’t put on a few extra layers on his trip to the kitchen. At least Luo Fei had been sensible enough to put on some light clothes, but he had clad himself only in his undergarments and a pair of pajama bottoms which were as stylish as they were impractical in this weather, and hardly sufficed to shield his body from the creeping cold.

He shivers.

Still, something about this is off, Luo Fei realizes, as his other senses are strongly heightened by his impaired vision.

Why does the air feel so fresh and clean, and where has all the city noise gone? He can even hear the birds...

They must be outside of Shanghai, somewhere in the countryside—or the suburb, at the very least.

Deep in his thoughts, Luo Fei stops paying attention to where he’s going and he stumbles in his blindness, losing his footing—and one of his slippers—before falling to his hands and knees. “...C’mon! Get up.” Someone grabs his upper arm and forcibly pulls him to his feet, urging him forward despite his protests. As the gun digs deeper into his back, Luo Fei falls silent once more, trying to ignore the pain from walking shoeless on the ground’s rough surface.

They walk for a while, then enter a building. Judging from the way the men’s shoes reverberate around them, they must be in a very large open space with a high ceiling. The clip-clop of their steps is accentuated by the alternating sounds of the dragging of a slipper, and the slapping of a bare foot on the hard cement. Aside from that, the group of men and their escort are surrounded by an almost eerie silence. Through the fabric of his blindfold, Luo Fei can barely make out a bit of light and the faint outline of shapes and shadows, but he doesn’t recognize where he is.

Even if Luo Fei isn’t usually one to be easily intimidated, fear is slowly starting to form in his gut.

Luo Fei is guided up a staircase—at this point, he trips and loses his other slipper, and might have fallen down and cracked his skull if it weren’t for the vicelike grip on his arm—then down a long corridor which feels like it will never end.

But what goes up must come down, and they do eventually reach their destination, although Luo Fei isn’t sure if this bodes well for him or not. However, Luo Fei doesn’t have the luxury to explore this thought in more detail as he is brutally pushed inside a room. His balance finally failing him, he collapses to the ground in a heap of limbs.

The door swings shut, followed by the sound of footsteps moving away.

******

As soon as Benjamin catches sight of the police car’s headlights filtering through the window, he hurries out of the station and rushes over to the vehicle, peering inside briefly before slipping in, settling on the back seat next to Savoy. After greeting his superior, Benjamin glances at the front and spots Ye Changqing in the passenger’s seat who waves at him and lets out a loud yawn. The person behind the wheels looks familiar, but Benjamin doesn’t know him personally.

Benjamin turns to Savoy who begins briefing him about the situation.

“There are four other officers in that car following behind us.” Savoy explains to Benjamin, who listens attentively. “In all truth, Xiaoman called before she left to investigate that factory. Since she wasn’t able to reach me, she left a message with one of my men who took the call in my stead, then wrote me a note about it and failed to mention it again when I didn’t bring up the fact that I had seen it—which I hadn’t.” Savoy grumbles, trying hard to contain his anger. “... I should have known better than to send Xiaoman in alone. Knowing her, it’s not a surprise that she decided to take the initiative. But thankfully, we have the address, and there are good chances that we’ll find Luo Fei if we go there.”      

“Understood. Thank you, sir.” Benjamin says before turning his head to look out the window at Shanghai’s neon signs and street lights flashing by in a blur of vibrant colors. Honestly, he should feel relieved, but the trip to the mill is long and Benjamin has plenty of time to think about what he’s going to do if they’re too late, however unlikely that may be.

With the previous victims, a few days had elapsed between their disappearance and the time when their bodies had been found, but to Huo Wensi, Luo Fei and Xiaoman aren’t just regular officers.

What if the same fate awaits them? Or worse?

Benjamin shakes his head slightly, as if the mere motion could make his thoughts go away, but he quickly composes himself when he catches Savoy’s expression reflected on the glass before his eyes. He turns to give a nervous smile to his superior, who nods at him solemnly. No, Benjamin realizes—thinking like this isn’t going to get him anywhere.

Besides, Huo Wensi isn’t about to get rid of Luo Fei that easily, not after going through so much trouble to capture him.

Holding firmly onto that hope, Benjamin returns his gaze to the moving night scenery.

After what feels like an eternity to Benjamin’s nervous mind, their vehicle starts to slow down, before pulling over to the side of the road. Peering anxiously over their driver’s shoulder, Benjamin is able to make out the vague shadow of a building a few dozens of meters away, surrounded by a high chain-link fence and fronted by a small gate. Unostentatious lampposts shed an orange-colored light on the industrial building, giving it an inhospitable air. Dull, artificial white light emanates from the few windows that can be found on the facade.

Whether it’s still in operation or being used for some other purpose, this place is definitely not abandoned.

“We’ll cover the rest of the distance on foot.” Savoy announces, getting out of the car. Benjamin follows close behind.

The group of men approach the gate through which, not surprisingly, access has been closed off with the use of chains and a robust, high-security padlock. As the rest of the men conceal themselves in the shadows of some trees flanking the driveway, two of the officers who came in the other car—Benjamin remembers from their recent yet brief encounter that one of them is named Li—come up to the fence with bolt cutters in hand and make quick work of snipping the links and creating an opening big enough for a man to slip through. Once they are done, the officers file through the hole with Ye Changqing leading the way, most of them with ease—though Benjamin has to lower his head at the last minute due to his height—and all assemble on the other side.

When the need arises for someone to scout for entryways into the factory, Li answers the call without hesitation, followed by his companion who volunteers as well, albeit somewhat more begrudgingly. The two men go on ahead, carefully skirting along the walls of the building so as to avoid drawing attention to them, while their colleagues await their return with all their senses alert.

Several minutes pass and the two officers finally reappear, but as they near the assembly point, the sound of a gunshot rings out into the night. Both men duck to avoid the incoming projectile which misses them by a hair’s breadth, then fire back at the sniper who just tried to shoot them down.

Whether they manage to hit their target is unknown, but they are able to reach the gate unharmed.

“Sir. There are two accessible entrances to the mill—one on the East side, and one in the back.” Officer Li reports to Savoy as he raises his arm in a respectful salute. “But we’ll have to move quickly with that sharpshooter still around.”

“Well done, officers. Take your positions.” Savoy praises the young trainees before dividing up the men into two groups and offering them a few more instructions and words of advice. “Tonight, our main priority is to rescue Detective Luo, Officer Qin and any other potential victim. Do not fire your weapon unless it is absolutely necessary. Capture any suspects that you find and, above all, be extremely careful. I do not wish to lose any more of my men. If you’re ever in dire need of assistance, remember the signal. Best of luck to you all. Go.” The men set out for the shabby building, jogging towards the entrance assigned to them while throwing wary looks at the dark sky.

As Benjamin follows his squad, driven by the adrenaline rushing through him, he notices a curiously familiar object on the ground and picks it up in passing without much of a thought.

Upon taking a closer look, Benjamin feels a tiny spark of hope in his chest as he recognizes the object.

Luo Fei...

******

Luo Fei doesn’t know how long he stays like this, lying in the dust, disoriented, aching and cold. Again, he tries to wriggle out of his bonds, but the rope is wound in too tight a knot around his wrists. His twisted arms, held secure against his back, are gradually getting numb from the unnatural position. He can barely feel them—much less move them—anymore. Instead of tiring himself by trying to get himself out of this tight spot, Luo Fei muses, he should save up his energy to try to make sense of this situation, and perhaps devise a plan.

Before he can do that, Luo Fei’s train of thoughts is interrupted by the sound of a person coming in. No, two of them.

The intruder approaches and nudges Luo Fei with a foot in order to flip him over on his back, coincidentally—or perhaps deliberately—digging into his injured side before tearing off his blindfold. Luo Fei bites his lip, barely able to hold back a cry of pain, and tries to get a glimpse at his aggressor. He isn’t surprised to find Huo Wensi flanked by another unfamiliar man holding a gun. Probably the one who had taken him here.

Huo Wensi sneers at Luo Fei, crouching down to take in the sorry state he must be in.

“Not the best look I’ve seen on you, Luo Fei...” Huo Wensi comments nonchalantly. “...I have to say I’m disappointed. Your standards seem to be dropping every time I see you.”

Luo Fei scoffs, but doesn’t reply, not falling for Huo Wensi’s ploy.

Huo Wensi continues his verbal abuse, unabated. “Here we are, just the two of us, reunited at last. But tell me Luo Fei: where are your friends? Where’s your Ben?” He taunts him. “I bet he regrets letting you out of his sight tonight.”

Piqued, Luo Fei shoots him a murderous look. “...Shut your mouth. You’re not allowed to call him that. And don’t you dare lay a finger on him.” Luo Fei warns him, well aware that he shouldn’t stoke the fire, but unable to stop himself from defending Benjamin. “After all, you’ve got me in your hands. Aren’t you satisfied already? Whatever you have to do—just do it, but don’t involve anyone else, alright?”

Huo Wensi tsks, visibly amused by the outburst.

“I’m not going to do anything to him unless he gives me reason to. But do you really think that’s the worst thing that could happen to him—being hurt by me? What if I decide to mess with you instead? How do you expect he would react? Do you think he could move on if you were gone? Benjamin has been following you around like a loyal puppy for years. What else does he have to look forward to? His life is meaningless without you.” He shrugs. “Maybe I want to use that.”

At these words, Luo Fei sees red. The nerve of this guy...

“Don’t you talk about things you don’t know. Don’t you fucking dare, you asshole!” Luo Fei spits out at Huo Wensi crouching mere inches away from him, finally losing his self-control. “...You don’t deserve to even look at him.”

“Oh, and you do?”

“I—...” Luo Fei is silent for a beat, taken aback by the question, to which he doesn’t have an answer. “That’s not the issue at hand, so don’t change the subject. Look, I don’t care what you do with me. Just don’t hurt him, or I swear I’ll—!”

“Make him shut up.” Huo Wensi instructs his henchman standing obediently by the side, awaiting his orders.

A drop of cold sweat glistens on Luo Fei’s temple, rolling down his cheek and the sharp line of his jaw. As understanding dawns on him, Luo Fei begins to trash around while Huo Wensi stays unmoving and the other man closes in on him.

Ben... Don’t come here...

******

Drip. Drip.

Xiaoman jumps at the wet sensation on her shoulder, then crawls away from her spot on the floor, moving to a new one. Looking up curiously, Xiaoman searches for the source of the leak, which looks like it could be a broken pipe, or perhaps the old worn roof spilling rainwater from the previous night’s downpour on her. Given the dilapidated state of the place, Xiaoman wouldn’t be surprised. One can easily tell that these gangsters wouldn’t care about the condition of the building as long as it didn’t get in the way of them running their business.

The cement under Xiaoman is hard, the biting cold of it seeping into her bones, and her body is sore from curling up against the wall which does not offer much comfort either. Xiaoman shifts again, resuming her previous activities.

Twisting her bound wrists back and forth in opposite directions, Xiaoman recalls the events leading to her capture.

After she had arrived at the address indicated by the girl named Wei whose sister was supposed to be held here, Xiaoman had been surrounded instantly from all sides, robbed of her handgun and bag, and brought in this room to stay with the other captives. Xiaoman wonders if perhaps this might not have been an intricate plan devised by the owners of the previous mill that she had visited—to send her here into this trap—but that doesn’t really make any sense. If they had wanted to get rid of her back then, they need not have gone to such lengths, or resorted to such tricks.

They could have just killed her on the spot.

Besides, Xiaoman had seen the girls’ desperation. This was not the face of someone putting on an act.

Luckily for her, the men who had grabbed her—probably the lowest of the bunch—were not as bright as she would have expected them to be, nor were they the hardened criminals that they paraded themselves as.

For one, it had been a very bad idea to tie her hands up front where she could see them. Xiaoman was a trained officer, and she knew how to deal with such situations. Which is why when they had taken her and proceeded to bind her, she had done what she had been taught to do in self-defense class, putting her elbows out and pressing her fists together with her knuckles facing her assailants, giving them the impression that her fists were closely joined. But once they were out of sight and she relaxed her muscles, bringing her elbows back together, she would create a space that she could work to increase by twisting her wrists around continuously, stretching the rope as much as possible until she was able to use her teeth to pull on the rope and get her hands out.

At the time, she had pretended to be cooperative, but in reality, she had quite a few tricks up her sleeve.

And if this didn’t work, she would just play it by ear.

Some of the girls are talking quietly among themselves, while others remain silent. A few watch curiously as Xiaoman applies these survival basics—rather successfully so far—but they dare not talk to her, much less approach her. Xiaoman vaguely wonders why that is, then figures that they probably think that she’s different from the rest of them, being a cop and all. They might even think her a spy, sent here to ensure that any attempt to rebel is nipped in the bud—it isn’t like there is no precedent of the police and the mob collaborating.

Under other circumstances, Xiaoman would probably have been affronted by the fact that her being a woman was more determining of her fate than her being an officer.

Right now, though, she can only be relieved, as this might have very well ended up saving her life.

The girls seem so afraid to oppose their gaolers, it’s like they have completely given up on finding a way to escape. According to Xiaoman’s watch—among her few personal items which weren’t confiscated—one of them was taken away by a man about an hour ago, and she has yet to return.

Within the fragments of conversation that Xiaoman overhears, one word keeps popping up—‘client.’

Xiaoman isn’t a fool: she can hazard a guess about where the girl was taken, and what for.

As Xiaoman mulls over these thoughts, the man from earlier returns at last, but the unfortunate girl is nowhere in sight. Fearing the worst, Xiaoman finds herself unable to idly stand by and watch as this situation goes on. “Where is she? What have you done with her?” Xiaoman cries out in outrage, springing to her feet at the same time as the man who, noticing that her hands are now free, points his weapon at her. Xiaoman dodges the bullet and grabs his firearm, twisting it around to turn it on its owner. The man, who must not have expected to meet such opposition from her, stands helplessly still as he stares down the barrel of his own gun.

Taking advantage of the momentum, Xiaoman stashes the gun away and wrings the man’s arms around to tie him up, making sure not to reproduce the same mistake that he had made with her. She then checks that there are no other weapons on him that he could use to turn the tables on her. Once Xiaoman has confirmed that the man poses no further threat, she pushes him down to take the spot previously occupied by her.

Revenge could be pretty sweet.

Xiaoman’s eyes scan the room and she glances at the girls who are now studying her with a mix of awe and respect. Right as she is debating what to do with them, Xiaoman hears the sound of footsteps coming their way, and she gestures for the girls to stay silent, keeping her gun at the ready. However, the person who peeks their head through the door is not a foe but a friend. Xiaoman brightens up at the familiar face. “Officer Zhan! It’s good to see you, sir.”

“Officer Qin. We received word of your disappearance some time ago. I’m glad you’re okay, sir. These young ladies...?”

“Can I trouble you to stay with these girls until it’s safe for them to come out, Officer? And keep an eye on that one—he’s unarmed, but he gave me a bit of a hard time, so don’t let your guard down. I’ll send someone to back you up as soon as I meet up with everybody. Since you’re here, I can imagine that Benjamin and Luo Fei must have tagged along, and those two are quite good at getting themselves into trouble, so I’m rather worried about them.”

Zhan shares a conspiratorial smile with Xiaoman. This particular piece of information is definitely not news to him.

“Yes, sir!” Zhan replies, saluting Xiaoman before taking up his post.

“Don’t be afraid—I’ll definitely be back for you.” Xiaoman promises the girls, before slipping out of the room.

******

Benjamin flinches at the sound of a gun being fired, feeling his chest tighten.

Luo Fei... Please be safe.

While Benjamin had initially been assigned to Ye Changqing’s team, he had been separated from them upon entering the building. Benjamin guesses that when he himself had gone upstairs, Changqing and the others must have headed down to the basement. But Benjamin knows he’s heading the right way. Now, as time is running out, Benjamin finds himself in a long corridor lined by a series of closed doors—offices?—that all look exactly the same, with no clue as to which ones might reveal what he is looking for, and which ones might bring about his downfall.

Yet, despite this, Benjamin begins to head down the corridor as if something is showing him the way.

He stops in front of the second-to-last door on the left.

This is it. This has to be it.

Swallowing the lump in his throat, Benjamin braces himself and pushes the door open, knowing deep down in his gut for some unknown reason that Luo Fei is waiting for him here, but frightened to no end by the state in which he fears he’s going to find him. Sure enough, Benjamin’s heart leaps at the sight that meets his eyes on the other side: Luo Fei’s thin form sprawled across the dirty floor, with his face down and his arms wrenched behind him in what looks like a terribly uncomfortable position, abandoned there like a wretched rag doll.

Benjamin feels his anger, which he had kept locked away until now, start bubbling inside him.

Luo Fei appears unharmed for the most part, but he doesn’t react when Benjamin comes in and crouches down next to him nor does he move when Benjamin turns him over and props him up to examine him, cradling Luo Fei’s narrow back with one arm while he checks for a pulse on his wrist. You’re still alive... Good. Other than the bruises caused by Luo Fei’s tight bonds, from which Benjamin hurries to free him, Benjamin doesn’t see any serious wounds or signs of abuse on Luo Fei’s body, although he does find a tiny red spot like a needle prick on the inside of his elbow.

“Luo Fei.” Benjamin taps Luo Fei’s cheek gently with the back of his hand, trying to quiet his hammering heart. “Luo Fei.”

“Benjamin.”

Alerted by the sound of a door clicking shut, Benjamin whirls around quickly to find himself looking at Huo Wensi.

“...It’s you.”

Benjamin’s resentment turns into rage and, setting Luo Fei down on the floor, he jumps to his feet to confront the man. Huo Wensi stands there unguarded and implacable, like Benjamin’s presence is no threat to him at all.

But nothing could have prepared him for what comes next.

Benjamin’s fist connects with Huo Wensi’s jaw in a bone-cracking blow that makes his head violently whip back, afterwhich Huo Wensi drops to the ground as if all the life had gone out of him.

Benjamin stares as Huo Wensi lies motionlessly in the cold neon light, a trickle of blood starting to run down his chin.

He had been wanting to do this for a very long time.

As if on cue, Luo Fei begins to stir on the floor behind him, and so Benjamin quickly rushes to his side, helping Luo Fei up as he tries to sit. “Luo Fei!... You’re shaking.” Luo Fei’s eyes are squeezed shut, as though he were suffering from an acute migraine, his whole body shivering from head to toe due to the lack of proper clothes to shield him from the cold. Luo Fei’s outfit consists of an old scruffy pair of trousers—Benjamin’s, evidently—and a thin, sleeveless undershirt. Benjamin eases out of his white coat which he hurries to wrap around Luo Fei’s trembling shoulders, then pulls Luo Fei into his arms in an attempt to warm him up. “...What happened to you?”

“I think they... t-they gave me something. My head is all fuzzy...” Luo Fei shifts in Benjamin’s tight embrace, squirming in obvious discomfort. “Ugh... I really don’t feel well. Give me a minute, please.”

“Okay.”

Benjamin exhales slowly, pressing his lips to Luo Fei’s temple and letting him lean on him.

After a while, Luo Fei seems to regain his senses and he gently pushes Benjamin away, his eyes falling on Huo Wensi. “Ben... Did you do this to him?” Luo Fei chuckles, a little breathlessly. “...Wow, I didn’t think you had it in you.”

Benjamin shakes his head, his lips forming a little smile. “Are you hurt?”

“No... I don’t think so. Though I’m afraid I can’t say the same about him...” Luo Fei trails off, nodding at the unconscious figure lying in front of them. “When he tried to get close, I bit him. Hey, I wasn’t going to go down without a fight.”

Benjamin laughs despite himself, amused by the notion. “...That’s good.”

Luo Fei grins at Benjamin, looking rather proud of himself. “I mean, he did ask for it. Guess we’re even, now.”

No, not even close. Benjamin muses darkly, but he keeps that thought to himself. It would take a lot more for Benjamin to feel like he was ready to forgive Huo Wensi. If he could forgive him.

“What’s wrong, Ben?”

Taken aback, Benjamin looks up at the inquiring tone, and his eyes meet Luo Fei’s worried yet knowing look. He hadn’t realized he had been spacing out again. Suddenly feeling at a bit of a loss, Benjamin wraps his hand around Luo Fei’s as he fumbles for words. “Nothing. I just... I’m glad you’re alright, Luo Fei. That’s all.” Fragments of his past daydreams resurface in his mind and Benjamin’s voice catches in his throat. For a time, Benjamin isn’t able to utter a single sound, but he forces himself to relax the way Luo Fei had taught him years ago, until his breathing returns to normal and his hands stop shaking.

Ever since their younger days, Luo Fei’s presence has always had a soothing effect on him.

This is still true today.

Luo Fei pretends to accept his explanation, but Benjamin is well aware that he’s not fooling Luo Fei, who knows him like the back of his hand. “Don’t torture yourself over what could have been.” Luo Fei says in a soft voice, squeezing Benjamin’s hand gently, and Benjamin feels his anxiety slowly start to fade. “What matters is that it didn’t happen, because you came for me. But... Ben, we’re not out of the woods yet, so let’s not stay here too long, okay?”

Benjamin nods his assent, then remembers something. “Luo Fei... Have you seen Xiaoman?”

“Wait, she wasn’t with you?”

“No, she came to investigate this place yesterday, but we lost contact with her after that.”

“I see.” Luo Fei muses, scratching his chin in deep contemplation. “Well, I wouldn’t be too worried about her, thou—...”

Before Luo Fei can finish his sentence, something comes violently smashing into the door, which blows open and falls off its hinges, toppling over and very narrowly missing Huo Wensi, who—now widely awake—scampers up to his feet and attempts to escape through the space where the door used to be. But a pair of small yet powerful hands grab him as he goes, immobilizing him and clasping a pair of handcuffs around his wrists, before marching him back into the room.

Wide-eyed, Luo Fei points a shaky finger at Xiaoman in shock, but unable to find the right words to express his thoughts, he soon drops his hand onto his lap.

“You... always have to make such flashy entrances, don’t you. Oh and, you’re late, by the way.”

Xiaoman shows off her hard-won prize, smirking as Huo Wensi struggles to break free, gritting his teeth.

“What do you mean, late? Luo Fei, I’m right on time.”

Benjamin beams at Xiaoman, glad to find her safe and well, then reaches forward to slip his hand into the inner pocket of his white coat—which now rests comfortably around Luo Fei’s shoulders—to retrieve what he picked up on the way. “Hey, aren’t you missing something?” Benjamin asks Luo Fei in an almost teasing manner, showing him the lost slippers. Luo Fei looks at him in delighted surprise, then bursts out laughing, making Benjamin’s heart flutter at the joyful sound.

“Is this how you found me...?” Luo Fei asks, disbelieving, and Benjamin chuckles at how foolish that must sound.

“Partly, yes.”

“From Sleeping Beauty to Cinderella... You’re really quite something, Luo Fei.” Xiaoman jokes, ignoring the dirty looks now coming from two different directions at once.

She smiles at Luo Fei and Benjamin, motioning for them to follow after her.

“Alright, let’s go. With all three of us, this time.”

******

The inseparable trio returns to the main floor with Huo Wensi in tow, under a torrent of complaints on Luo Fei’s part and ceaseless bickering between Xiaoman and him, punctuated at interval by Benjamin cutting in to act as a mediator. Though still wrapped inside Benjamin’s white coat, Luo Fei has overcome his dizzy spell and is no longer shaking from the cold. “Xiaoman, can you stop painting me as tragic princesses all the time? It’s really starting to get old, you know.”

Xiaoman guffaws at the comment, and even Benjamin who is expected to remain neutral isn’t able to hide his smile.

Benjamin’s amusement doesn’t go unnoticed by Luo Fei, who shoots him a woeful look, betrayed by his lack of support.

“Ben, don’t encourage her! I thought you were my friend...”

Yet, this fleeting moment, which gives them a semblance of normalcy again, soon comes to an end as a new shadow looms over their small moment of peace the instant they step onto the shop floor, furnished with a sizable number of machines draped with white linen, like ghosts from a forgotten era.

The three friends stop dead in their tracks at the sight that meets them, their laughing voices cut short.

A man of dubious identity, dressed in a posh, all-black suit, has Savoy in a headlock with a knife pressed against his carotid artery, while Ye Changqing is holding his gun to another stranger’s head a few feet away. It looks like the two armed men are trying to bargain for their partner’s life by way of some shady compromise, although neither looks ready to meet the other halfway. Close by, an officer lies in a coagulating pool of blood, most likely dead already. Benjamin recognizes the man who had driven them here—now, he would never get the chance to ask him his name.

Xiaoman, Benjamin, and Luo Fei’s worried voices cry out in unison. “Sir!”

All heads but one turn towards the outburst, temporarily putting an end to the silent confrontation.

Savoy merely shifts his gaze towards them under the threat of the sharp object pointed at his throat.

“You three... Don’t worry about this old man. Just get out of here!” Savoy firmly commands them, ignoring the cold steel digging into his flesh as he tries to move to stop them from coming any closer.

Benjamin freezes in his steps with a pained look on his face, not wanting to do more harm than good, but unable to stand by and watch the man who is like a second father to him risk his life for his own. “Sir, no, we can’t—...!

“Go! This is an order!” Savoy bellows, raising his voice like he hardly ever does, to get his point across.

But Luo Fei isn’t having any of this.

“Sir, with all due respect, that’s an order we have to refuse. How could we ever leave you like this?” Whirling around to glare at Huo Wensi’s calm demeanor, Luo Fei points his finger at him in accusation. “You! What did you do?!”

Huo Wensi shrugs, feigning innocence. “Me? I was with you the whole time... What could I have possibly done?”

“Don’t play dumb!” Luo Fei bites back, grabbing Huo Wensi by the collar. “Have them release him at once.”

Ye Changqing chooses this moment to cut in, nodding his head at the individual standing on the wrong side of his gun. “...Brother Huo. We’ll trade your guy for him. How about it?”

But the man holding Savoy scoffs in derision and shakes his head. “That’s not an equivalent exchange at all.”

“That’s right. Release me and maybe we’ll consider letting him go.”

Still the man declines the offer—this one brought forward by Huo Wensi. “No, that won’t do either.”

At this blatant display of disobedience, confusion flashes inside Huo Wensi’s eyes, although it only lasts a second. Nevertheless, this short moment of weakness does not escape the watchful eye of Luo Fei, who quirks an eyebrow as Huo Wensi puts on his confident front again, his expression unreadable and leaving much to the imagination. It seems like Huo Wensi’s hold on Captain’s syndicate is not as solid as he would have them believe. With things currently at a standstill, Luo Fei seizes this excellent opportunity to talk Huo Wensi’s brains out in order to buy time.

There are questions that need answering, but mostly, Luo Fei has things to say.

“Those officers that you murdered in cold blood... You got information about me out of them, didn’t you...? That’s how you found out where I was hiding and had your men sneak into the station in order to abduct me.” Luo Fei speculates, but a flicker in Huo Wensi’s eyes tells him he’s right. He continues. “After you brought them here, you drugged them, isn’t that right. I should know—a small amount of opium wouldn’t knock them out, just make them more docile and cooperative. If they refused to talk, you tortured them, and when even that didn’t work out... well, you got rid of them.” Luo Fei concludes, crossing his arms and regarding Huo Wensi with obvious disdain. “You’re really a first-rate asshole.”

Huo Wensi merely smiles, not denying that fact, yet his silence speaks volumes.

Xiaoman is positively fuming as she tightens her hold on him. “The other factories, are they also yours?”

Huo Wensi nods. “They’re under the Green Dragon Society’s control, yes.”

Luo Fei continues his narrative, all the while glancing in the direction of Savoy and Ye Changqing on occasion to ensure that Huo Wensi’s crew—or whoever it is that these men follow—aren’t trying anything funny. “This great Society must already have a wide network of human trafficking, right? So you sent some of the girls you kidnapped to work in the mills for extra cash, but you kept the prettier and younger ones to sell off or use as prostitutes. They’re the ones that brought in the bigger bucks after all, huh.” Luo Fei speaks bluntly, getting straight to the point. He feels a pang to his heart when Benjamin, who is being awfully quiet, shifts uncomfortably next to him.

Luo Fei’s fingers brush Benjamin’s arm subtly, out of view from the others. Sorry, Ben.

“Let’s not forget that you deliberately chose your victims to remind me of my sister and draw my attention...”

Huo Wensi sneers, then glares at Xiaoman when she tugs on his cuffed wrists, warning him. “Ah, you noticed? I did have some fun with that, but don’t flatter yourself by thinking you’re at the center of this. I merely wanted to get rid of you because you’re nosy and troublesome, and always get in my way. You’d be dead by now if it weren’t for your dear Ben.”

It feels like now that Huo Wensi is under the impression that he won, he isn’t afraid to reveal his plans to them anymore.

No... More than being unafraid, it’s like that egotistical megalomaniac is openly bragging about it.

“Wait, what about the drugs?” Xiaoman asks. “Nothing was found at the sites... But the opium I discovered at the port was definitely being shipped there... Was it moved afterwards?”

Luo Fei hadn’t known about this particular piece of information, but suddenly, it all makes sense to him. “The other factories were just an intermediary.” Luo Fei answers, suddenly hit by a stroke of inspiration. Of course... It was way too obvious. “If you sent the opium directly here, you ran the risk of having your center of operations found out if there was a search. But if it was just one mill getting busted, you could always find another one. There was nothing to lead us here, and you never expected us to look outside of Shanghai, when in reality, this place had been staring at us from the start.”

“Until one of the workers came forward and told me where to look.” Xiaoman finishes for him with her side of the story. She huffs in frustration. “I don’t get it. Why are you doing this? Is it the money? The power? The simple thrill of it?”

Huo Wensi chuckles, turning his eyes on Xiaoman, who withstands his gaze without flinching.

“Hm... A little bit of everything. Mostly, I’m just bored... Being a psychologist to the common masses can be terribly dull. But I do have some interest in how people’s minds work. What they cherish. How far they’re willing to go in order to protect it.” Huo Wensi reveals, staring at Benjamin standing by Luo Fei as if to protect him, despite having no weapon at hand with which to defend Luo Fei or even himself. “Such foolishness. It’s really not my style, but I find it fascinating. Now, you people have given me plenty to work with, so I have to thank you for tha—”

All of a sudden, Huo Wensi’s condescending monologue is prematurely interrupted by a loud, sharp noise. A crimson spot starts forming on his stomach as it rapidly grows, bigger and bigger, soaking through his shirt in a sticky mess.

Eyes widened in shock, Huo Wensi coughs up blood and crumples to the ground.

It takes a second for everyone present to process what is currently happening, but as Xiaoman and Benjamin stare dumbstruck at Huo Wensi writhing in pain before their eyes, Luo Fei recovers from his shock and turns to Benjamin who, sensing Luo Fei’s gaze on him, turns his head to look at him.

“Ben, don’t just stand there! You have to do something!”

“What...?”

“Please, Ben! You’ve got to help him!” Luo Fei insists, holding Benjamin’s gaze as the other looks at him in indignation and confusion. Luo Fei supposes that Benjamin must be wondering why the hell he should help a man who tried to blow up his boyfriend, which, in all fairness, is a very legitimate question to ask.

But this is all wrong.      

Huo Wensi might have to be judged for his actions, but maybe—just maybe—he doesn’t deserve to die.

Not right now, and not like this.

Benjamin hesitates, then sighs and nods half-heartedly, crouching next to Huo Wensi with a look of renewed determination and gesturing for Xiaoman to do the same. “...Take his handcuffs off. I’m going to try to stop the bleeding.”

Luo Fei smiles faintly, proud of Benjamin for choosing to be the better man and showing Huo Wensi compassion.

Yet, before he can relax a bit, Luo Fei hears a series of gasps and curses.

Luo Fei turns to look at what could be the cause of this reaction, and his breath catches in his throat at the sight.

Painful memories resurface as Luo Fei finds himself face to face with his worst enemy.

Captain.

Notes:

Disclaimer: Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella aren't mine, obviously. Then again, whose are they really? I swear the latter is a total coincidence, it wasn't planned at all! But given the reference to the former in the first chapter, I had to make Xiaoman point it out hahaha XD I guess BenFei are destined to live their own little fairytale ♥

Hope you enjoyed this! Thanks in advance for your support and thank YOU @ssp_amax for all your help and for screaming about BenFei on our daily chats ♥♥♥

Chapter 6: Closure

Summary:

Benjamin tends to Huo Wensi's severe injuries while Luo Fei confronts Captain. Something goes terribly wrong, but the team isn't about to go down without a fight.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Warning: Some scenes might be disturbing to some readers (blood). Proceed with caution.

Benjamin feels his blood run cold at the sight of Captain standing very steadily on his own two feet, looking not much different than he had years ago. Aside from the fact that passing years—and jail time—have left their mark on his face, and that his white hair, which has grown tremendously since, is falling in wild cascades down past his shoulders, Captain hasn’t really changed that much. The emptiness in his eyes has been replaced with a look of pure malice, one that Benjamin hasn’t been able to forget since that fated day. The senile old man has ceased to exist, making way for the notoriously evil mastermind known to all. Captain is back, and he hasn’t come alone.

So many questions plague Benjamin’s mind, but now is not the time for that.

He has a life to save.

Feeling his heart hammering in his chest, Benjamin forces himself to focus on his patient while keeping an eye on the scene taking place a few feet away. “Xiaoman.” Benjamin calls his friend, who tears her gaze away from Captain to look at him. “Give me your scarf, please.” Xiaoman obliges him without hesitation, unwinding the scarf from around her neck and handing it to Benjamin, who secures it around Huo Wensi’s waist, before pressing down on the wound spurting blood at a rapid pace in order to stop the hemorrhage.

Huo Wensi gasps at the sudden pressure, his eyebrows scrunching together in pain, and he looks up at Benjamin feebly. Benjamin holds his gaze for a second before returning to the task at hand, hating to see this man, whom he should hate more than anyone else in this world, suffer, and to feel overwhelming pity for him. “...Don’t think that I’ve forgiven you.”

Huo Wensi’s attempt to laugh in ridicule at Benjamin fails miserably as the sound gets stuck in his throat and he gurgles, choking on his own red-tinged saliva. “I wouldn’t... dream of it...” He groans, squeezing his eyes shut, then lets out a shuddering breath as Benjamin presses down harder on the wound, from which blood is still flowing in much too great an amount. Benjamin feels a wave of sympathy come over him, unable to imagine the magnitude of his suffering.

“I know it hurts, but you have to bear with it.”

Huo Wensi grunts, growing paler by the second. “Why are you h-helping me...? I don’t need you t-... feel sorry... for me.”

“I’m not doing this for you.” Benjamin mutters, looking up to see what is happening on the other side. Captain and Luo Fei almost appear to be making small talk, catching up like old friends, neither of them willing to show the slightest hint of weakness... but Benjamin knows the inner turmoil Luo Fei must be experiencing right now. He wishes he could be by his side during this trying time, but he has been given a mission, and he intends to carry it through.

Huo Wensi’s lamentations draw Benjamin’s attention to him once more. His complexion has turned ashen, most likely from the agony he is currently enduring, seeing how Benjamin has managed to reduce the blood loss drastically.

If only Benjamin had something to help numb the pain...

Suddenly, Benjamin remembers the needle prick marks on Luo Fei’s arm. “Do you have more of what you gave Luo Fei?”

Huo Wensi’s eyes skim over Benjamin’s face without really seeing him, gradually losing their focus as his mind teeters dangerously close to the edge of consciousness. “In my l-left... p-pocket...” He manages to croak out miserably.

Motioning for Xiaoman to take over for him momentarily, Benjamin wipes his bloodied hands on his trousers and reaches inside Huo Wensi’s pocket to retrieve the small syringe, flicking it with his thumb and forefinger and squirting the liquid a little before injecting it into Huo Wensi’s arm. “...It’s alright. You’re gonna be alright.” Benjamin reassures Huo Wensi in a soothing voice, trying to hold down his trashing body on one side, and grabbing his other hand when it shoots out uncontrollably, holding it tightly in his own to show him that he’s not alone in this.

That he won’t let him die.

Soon after, Huo Wensi’s eyelids start to droop, his head lolling to the side as he slips into oblivion.

******

It had happened at dusk, in between shifts at the jail.

One of Captain’s most loyal followers had bribed the serving warden with what must have been a very pretty sum, thereafter successfully replacing him, taking over his identity and—most importantly—his job, which consisted of keeping an eye on the institution’s most dangerous inmate. After assuming his position, the man had wandered off to the prison courtyard with Captain in tow, making it look like he was taking him out for his daily stroll. Due to the fact that he was clad in the appropriate standard uniform, and also that most of the guards did not now pay much mind to his prisoner, who appeared as harmless as he was insane, he had been able to wheel him past the gates effortlessly.

Captain had never intended to let Huo Wensi succeed him as the leader of the Green Dragon Society. No, he had every intention of getting out of the dreadful hole in which Luo Fei and Savoy’s men had put him. For a while, however, he would let Huo Wensi believe that he was being handed this important role, so that attention could be shifted away from himself while he prepared his escape. Once the police had their sights set on Huo Wensi, Captain would be free to stage this risky operation. All the better if Huo Wensi could take out a few of Captain’s biggest adversaries for him.

Captain had considered using Jin Bubai at first, but Huo Wensi was a much better candidate, with his overinflated sense of self and his almost sociopathic tendencies. Jin Bubai was fickle and his actions couldn’t be predicted. Besides, he had practically handed himself over to the police to play his little game and Captain had no use for such an unruly substitute.

The hard truth was that the loyalties of the members of the Green Dragon Society lied with Captain—its figurehead.

A symbol to inspire fear and obedience, and ensure the organization’s continued supremacy and power over time.

Huo Wensi had merely been a tool to fulfill the Society’s criminal agenda.

He’s kind of pitiful. Luo Fei thinks to himself as he glances sideways at Benjamin bent over Huo Wensi’s bleeding form. Although I have more pressing matters to worry about right now...

Luo Fei scans his surroundings, going over his options. Savoy is currently not in a position to do anything, what with the knife to his throat and his gun lying on the floor a few feet away from his reach, and while Ye Changqing is armed, he has a hostage, which he would do better than to let go of. Benjamin and Xiaoman are busy looking after Huo Wensi, though even if Xiaoman were to take out her gun, she would probably be too far away to aim properly if the need arose. One of the men that Savoy took with him is down, while two others are being held by the enemy and seem to be injured...

Hm, that’s strange. Luo Fei muses. There are too many people to fit in a single vehicle, but not enough to fill up two cars. Are we missing someone? I can’t imagine that Det Sup Savoy wouldn’t have brought as many men as possible with him.

Captain chooses this moment to interrupt the train of Luo Fei’s spinning thoughts. He smiles malevolently, making the fiery anger burning inside of Luo Fei’s chest flare up at once.

“Luo Fei. It’s been a while since you last came to visit. I was starting to think you had forgotten about me.”

Luo Fei grits his teeth, then pauses to close his eyes and take a deep long breath in order to control himself, but Captain’s sudden appearance has suddenly made all of Luo Fei’s pent-up anger rush to the surface, making it impossible for him to calm down. “How could I ever forget you after you murdered my little sister in cold blood, you sick freak...?” Luo Fei asks in a low voice, positively seething with hostility, his hands clenching into tight fists at his side.

Captain’s parched lips curl up into an ugly grimace, and he appears amused by Luo Fei’s vain attempt to wound him with words only. “Oh, her? She was merely at the wrong place, at the wrong time. There’s no need to take it so personally.” The old man says matter-of-factly, dismissing the topic with a mere shrug.

This time, Luo Fei has to hold himself back by force not to run up to the madman and strangle him on the spot.

Lies.” He snarls. “You can insult my intelligence as much as you want, but don’t you dare make light of Luo Hui’s death.”

Captain’s malicious smile vanishes from his face, leaving room only for the savage expression of one mentally unsound. “If that’s the case, then... You’re right, I killed her. And not because it made a difference to me whether she lived or died, but because I knew that it would destroy you, which is exactly what I wanted.”

“You’re a monster.” Luo Fei growls, cursing Captain’s existence with his entire being. “...She didn’t deserve this.”

Why didn’t you come after me instead...? How could you take it out on a little girl, you sorry excuse of a human being?

“This wouldn’t have happened if you hadn’t gotten in my way.” Captain points out cruelly. “It’s all your fault.”

Luo Fei feels a pang to his heart. That one hurts, because Luo Fei knows there’s some truth to it.

“Why am I even talking to you?” Luo Fei asks—more to himself—feeling thoroughly annoyed for allowing Captain’s mind games to get to him, all the while trying to evaluate how much time it might take for Captain to raise his gun if he tried to make a run for it, and whether that would be enough for him to take cover without being riddled with bullets. Luo Fei himself is unarmed—completely vulnerable—and as much as he wants Captain to pay for his crimes, he isn’t in a hurry to roll over and die at his hand. “Nothing can erase what you’ve done. I don’t have anything more to say to you.”

This remark seems to trigger something in Captain, whose eyes sparkle with amusement.

“Oh, but Luo Fei... The more you talk, the longer you’ll live. Why do you think I’m here? Just for old time’s sake?”

Suddenly feeling a bit uneasy, Luo Fei turns to glance at Savoy, whose eyes slowly widen in understanding.

Captain gives a barely perceptible nod towards Luo Fei, and two of his men come out from behind him and grab Luo Fei by the shoulders before he can get away, pushing him down to his knees and holding him in place. Numerous cries of protest erupt all around him, but Luo Fei can barely hear them—suddenly, all his mind can focus on is the feeling of the barrel of a gun being pressed against the back of his skull, accompanied by a dull ringing sound in his head.

Through the surrounding chaos, a familiar voice stands out from the rest, reaching Luo Fei’s ears with utmost clarity.

Stop! Please, don’t do this!”

Although Luo Fei can’t see what is going on, seeing how he’s facing the wrong way, he can picture Benjamin springing up to his feet and rushing over to be by his side. Ben... Luo Fei thinks to himself, setting his jaw so as not to let his expression betray his emotions. Stay back. Don’t throw away your life so easily. There’s nothing you can do... But Luo Fei is aware that it’s pointless for him to pray that Benjamin will stand by and watch him get executed, having done nothing to prevent it. He knows that, regardless of the situation, Benjamin will follow him anywhere—even after life.

Captain makes a vague motion towards Benjamin. “Take him as well if he’s so eager to die.”

Before Benjamin can react, another pair of thugs walk up to him with the intent of subjecting him to the same treatment as Luo Fei. Yet despite his towering height and initial attempt to resist, Benjamin is brought down automatically, collapsing to his knees, when one of the gangsters strikes the back of his leg with the butt of his gun. “Kneel!

Benjamin cooperates without saying a word, turning to glance at Luo Fei who gives him a mournful look, as if to say: ‘Sorry, pal. I didn’t mean to drag you into this.’

Benjamin replies with a weak smile. ‘Don’t apologize. This was my own decision, Luo Fei.’

“Let them go or I’ll shoot you down!” Xiaoman’s voice rings out through the heavy silence reigning in the room.

With only a single look at her, Captain can tell that she’s bluffing—of course she isn’t going to do that, for fear that her two friends might be done away with in front of her very eyes the minute she presses the trigger. “I wouldn’t do that if I were you, little girl.” Captain warns her dangerously, lifting up his own weapon and pointing it in her direction.

All of a sudden, someone fires their gun several times in a row.

Four times, to be precise.

Complete silence reigns for the span of a second—maybe two at best—before the sound of a gunshot pierces the air once again, followed by terrible howls of pain close by.

Shocked beyond belief, Luo Fei lifts his eyes to look at the old man nursing his right hand—and his good arm—gingerly, blood flowing down his fingertips to the ground. Captain’s gun lies forgotten in the pool of gore slowly spreading on the cement floor. To Luo Fei’s astounded mind, an eternity seems to pass during which the entire room remains frozen still, but in reality, barely a second has gone by when all hell breaks loose.

It isn’t clear who fired the shots, but as soon as everyone recovers from the surprise, a number of things happen at once.

Savoy grabs his captor’s arm in an iron grip and twists it around, making him drop the knife which Savoy hurries to kick across the floor with his boot, catching his assailant before the man can think of escaping and handcuffing him in a snap. Meanwhile, Ye Changqing makes use of the momentum to bind his hostage’s hands so he can free his own and be more useful to the team, and Xiaoman flips over a table which she uses to hide, poking her head out from behind her makeshift shield at intervals to fire her gun. The two remaining junior officers break free from the enemy’s clutches, pulling out their guns to lend aid to their comrades in arms despite their injuries.

Bullets fly across the room, cracking and whizzing through the air as all present do their best to avoid them.

Throwing himself on his stomach, Luo Fei crawls over to Captain’s gun to retrieve it while his nemesis tries to regain the use of his injured limb without much success. When Captain notices what Luo Fei is doing, he tries to prevent him from laying lands on the discarded weapon by stepping on his fingers. Thankfully, Luo Fei manages to get to it before him, but Captain, now thoroughly enraged, makes to come at Luo Fei with his bare hands. Before he can reach him, however, someone grabs his ankles and makes him lose his balance, sending him crashing to the floor. Under the rain of shells, Luo Fei pushes himself up to his hands and knees, ready to throw himself at Captain while he’s on his back and vulnerable, but Benjamin stops him, grabbing his arm and pulling him out of harm’s way.


It’s not safe to stay here! Let’s take cover for now!” Benjamin yells over the deafening sound of bullets ricocheting, and the two friends rush to safety, half-carrying one another.

And then the tables turn.

Barely perceptible through the commotion, the wooden planks which were nailed to the front doors shatter to pieces under the weight of the men breaking through them, yelling ‘police!’, and a squadron of officers barge into the room to join the gunfight. In a moment of epiphany, Luo Fei suddenly realizes what the series of gunshot had been intended for: it was a signal, meant to alert the men on standby, waiting outside to storm the place. As these thoughts cross his mind, Luo Fei glances once more at Captain and notices that he has gotten back up and, seeing how the way through the entrance is now blocked, is currently heading further inside, deeper into the building.

Before he can get far, two other bullets rip through Captain’s chest, but the man barely flinches, pressing on madly as if driven by an inner force.

I gotta hand it to him; he’s determined... Luo Fei muses with wonder. But where is he headed?

That leaves two possibilities: either an alternate exit...

Or the rooftop.

******

“Stop right there!” Xiaoman yells, scrambling up the stairs and smashing down the door leading outside.

But at that moment, standing on the roof, Xiaoman finds herself completely alone in the dim light of dawn.

For a moment, she starts to think that she might have made a mistake, until she spots a trail of blood leading towards the edge of the building. Warily, Xiaoman walks up to the railing and peers over it, expecting to find the silhouette of a body outlined against the hard earth, swimming in a pool of blood. Instead, she notices a dark figure getting out of a thicket of bushes with much difficulty, before limping in the direction of the woods. Upon seeing this, Xiaoman begins to climb up the guardrail to follow after Captain trying to make his escape—she has no intention of letting him get away—when a hand shoots out of nowhere and grabs her to keep her from jumping off the ledge.

Confused, Xiaoman whirls around to face her superior, but Savoy only shakes his head, wearing a solemn expression.

She has survived worst falls than this. Besides, they don’t have much time!

“S-Sir...?”

“Don’t act rashly. I’ll send some men to go after him, but given the state he’s in, he won’t last long.” Savoy explains, putting his hand behind her back to lead her farther away from the railing in case she decides to change her mind and disobey his orders. Xiaoman knows that the man is probably right, yet she feels slightly frustrated by this turn of events, as she had been looking forward to putting Captain in irons and giving Luo Fei the justice he deserves.

Together, Savoy and Xiaoman start making their way back to the first floor.

On their way down, they meet with Benjamin, Luo Fei and Officer Li—the young trainee who had appeared right on time to save the day by alerting the backup troops—and the small group returns to the main hall to reconvene with everyone.

After dispatching a small squadron of policemen to pursue their fugitive, Savoy sends Huo Wensi out with some officers to receive treatment at a hospital. Though still unconscious after losing a significant amount of blood, his heartbeat is stable thanks to Benjamin’s emergency care. “I don’t need to stress how important it is that you never, and I must insist, never let him out of your sight. No bathroom breaks allowed.” Savoy orders the men before they depart, feeling a strange impression of déja vu coming over him at the familiarity of the scene.

Huo Wensi would suffer the consequences of his crimes—most likely by going back to prison—but hopefully this time, he would keep a low profile and not go after them again, now that he owed them his life.

Once that’s out of the way, Savoy starts heading towards the senior officer who had led the troops here.

“Zhan Yi.”

“Savoy! Come on here, brother!” Zhan Yi exclaims as his friend approaches him, giving him a cheerful pat on the back. “Are you alright? I feared we might have come too late...”

But another voice interrupts Savoy before he can place in a word. “Sergeant Zhan? Is that you, sir?”

Behind him, Savoy can hear quick footsteps approaching. Seconds later, Benjamin and Luo Fei emerge from a small crowd of nearby onlookers, looking ecstatic at the sight of their past mentor. “Sergeant Zhan! It’s so good to see you, sir! How have you been?” Luo Fei asks excitedly before Benjamin, giving him a lovingly disapproving look, motions for him to stand up straight and give their sergeant a proper salute.

“It’s Major Zhan now.” Savoy corrects him like a doting father pretending to be strict on his son for his own good, although he smiles conspiratorially at Zhan Yi over Luo Fei’s shoulder.

“At ease, boys. No need for formalities.” Zhan Yi chuckles, dismissing the deferential gesture.

Luo Fei and Benjamin share an excited look.

“Oh, wow!”

“Congratulations, sir!”

Taking a few steps forward to better examine his protégés, Zhan Yi briefly ponders what action he should take that would be appropriate in this situation, but then thinks better of it, deeming this joyous occasion a better opportunity than any to forego official procedure and decorum. Smiling fondly, he musses Benjamin’s hair, who ducks his head and offers him a boyish smile. “I see you’ve been taking good care of them, Savoy.” Zhan Yi remarks appreciatively, before turning to Luo Fei and taking in the sight of him, quirking an eyebrow at the odd combination of pajamas and white coat.
                                              

Luo Fei looks down at himself, then grins at his former instructor. “It’s a long story—Major, sir.”

Zhan Yi seems satisfied with this answer. “Still attached at the hip, are we, huh? You boys haven’t changed at all...” He marvels, before noticing something and reappraising his earlier statement. “Eh? But it seems like you’ve finally sorted things out between you. That’s good... You look happy!” He adds, roaring with laughter when Benjamin’s cheeks turn a faint pink hue and Luo Fei scratches his head, trying to hide his embarrassment.

“Actually, I’m glad you two stuck with each other. That shows that you were listening after all when I was lecturing you rascals about teamwork and camaraderie, weren’t you.” Zhan Yi laughs to himself, reminiscing about the past. Changing the subject, he returns his attention to his longtime comrade who is observing the scene with a mix of barely-concealed amusement and affection. “Savoy. I heard that Ah Fang played an important part today?”

Savoy nods once, beaming with pride.

“Your nephew really outdid himself out there. Surely a feat of this magnitude is deserving of a medal of honor.”

As if on cue, a young officer bearing resemblance with Zhan Yi confidently marches towards the group, greeting his seniors with respect before addressing his superior. Another trainee follows close behind.

The two young men line up in front of the senior officers to make their report.

“Sir, Officer Li and I will be taking the girls back to the station now. From there, we’ll contact their families and send them home. We know some of them had relatives working in the other mills, so we’ll head there with Officer Ye after this to rescue the other victims. Also, some of the girls have expressed an interest in joining the force in a few years under the supervision of Officer Qin—I guess we can expect an increase in female police officers in the near future!” Officer Zhan informs Savoy, before turning towards his uncle with a grin. “...Major Zhan. Good day to you, sir.”

Zhan Yi winks at him.

Li continues. “Sir, we’re also here on behalf of Officer Bai and Officer Ji to tell you that the smuggled goods that were found in the warehouse have been rounded up and will be handed over to you later for your inspection. Finally... We found a man in one of the offices... He’s still in shock, but we’ll be taking him along and getting his testimony after his full recovery. According to the girls, he was a regular client here.”

“Officer Li, Officer Zhan. You did amazingly well today. Be very proud of yourselves.” Savoy praises his subordinates, looking over their shoulders at the victims being carried out on stretchers, some of them headed for the hospital—others, the morgue. “Thanks to you, we were able to reduce the number of casualties in this terrible tragedy.”

The small group of men exchange a bit of chitchat, after which Officers Li and Zhan leave to attend their other duties.

After making plans to catch up with Zhan Yi once the dust settles, Benjamin and Luo Fei make their way home.

It’s been a long night.

******

Dark clouds loom over them with the promise of rain—although given the rapidly-dropping temperature and the cold howling wind, Luo Fei muses, it just might snow today.

Just like it had on that day, all those years ago.

Repressing a sigh, Luo Fei continues on his way, glancing cursorily at Benjamin walking next to him, clad in a long fitted slate gray overcoat—a stark yet fitting contrast to his own dark moss one. As their eyes meet, Benjamin’s gloomy expression brightens up right away, and although the smile he gives Luo Fei is a bit strained and tinged with melancholy, Luo Fei feels his heart warm up instantly at the sight. Luo Fei returns Benjamin’s smile, squeezing his fingers with his gloved right hand. In his left, he clutches a bouquet of white chrysanthemums.

The two walk in comfortable silence across the well-tended grass of the cemetery, past the neat rows of monuments, not in a hurry to arrive at their destination. However, as much as they try to delay the inevitable, they soon find themselves in front of three aligned headstones bearing the surname ‘Luo’.

Luo Fei places the flowers in front of his parents’ grave, putting his hands together and bowing his head with his eyes closed as he spares a few thoughts for them. After a few minutes of silent prayer, Luo Fei turns to find Benjamin setting down a bouquet of yellow lilies by his sister’s headstone, before taking a few steps back. This picture of his lover and best friend paying his respects to his departed sibling brings a particular memory to mind.

Luo Fei joins Benjamin in front of Luo Hui’s resting place.

“Hui Hui... It's me, your . Look who I’ve brought to see you... Ben is here too.” Luo Fei says in a soft voice as he slings an arm loosely around Benjamin’s waist, suddenly yearning for the warmth of his body, but feeling nothing through his thick layers. “I’m sorry I haven’t been able to visit for a while.” A lot of things had happened these last days and, precisely because he had been so busy during the past few weeks, Luo Fei hadn’t had the chance to come here recently. But today marks the anniversary of Luo Hui’s death, and he wouldn’t have missed it for the world.

Luo Fei’s eyes sting. He swallows hard.

Benjamin’s hand rests against the small of his back, grounding him to the present.

“Ben, do you remember when we were given a day off during our first year at the academy?”

“I do.” Benjamin smiles in nostalgia, his eyes soft and tender at the thought. “At the time, I pretended I already had plans with my father because I was too afraid to meet her, but... I was wrong. Xiao Hui... She was a wonderful person, just like her brother. I wish we could have had more time to get to know each other.”

“Yeah, she was.” Luo Fei takes a long shuddering breath, blinking back the tears.

A few minutes pass before Luo Fei breaks their embrace, approaching the gravestone and bending down to caress its cold surface gently, tracing the letters with his fingers. Luo Fei notices that Benjamin does not follow him, staying at a respectful distance, giving him some privacy. Yet despite the distance, Luo Fei can feel Benjamin’s reassuring presence giving him unconditional love and support, and for that he is eternally grateful.

After Captain’s escape from the mill, Savoy had sent some of his men to search for him, but they hadn’t had to go far.

They had found Captain just outside of the woods, stretched out on the ground amongst the dead tree leaves, dead.

Truthfully, Luo Fei doesn’t feel any different now that Captain is gone. He should be glad and revel in the fact that the monster responsible for his sister’s murder has paid the price of his crimes with his life—but he isn’t, and he doesn’t. Captain’s demise won’t bring back his sister... It just leaves a bitter aftertaste in his mouth. What’s more, the Green Dragon Society might have lost its leader and symbol, but it will probably never really go away.

Luo Fei takes solace in knowing that, at least now, Captain won’t be able to harm anyone else.

Picking himself up, Luo Fei turns to tell Benjamin that he’s ready to go, but the sight that meets his eyes—that of Benjamin standing there, looking grave and beautiful—takes his breath away, and he freezes in his step. Feeling a surge of love for Benjamin, Luo Fei walks up to him slowly and buries his face in his neck, letting his emotions run loose at last, gripping Benjamin’s coat like a lifeline.

Suddenly, he really wants to cry.

“Ben...” Luo Fei croaks out, overwhelmed, his voice muffled by the harsh material. “...She was everything to me...”

Benjamin simply hums in response, wrapping his arms around him more tightly still, not saying anything.

Luo Fei takes a few moments to compose himself. When he trusts himself to, he pulls away from their embrace.

“But I have you now. Thank god for that.” Luo Fei murmurs softly, resting his forehead against Benjamin’s.

It has been more than a dozen years already. There is no way to go back in time, nor any magic trick to erase the past. Luo Fei’s wound is still fresh, and it will probably never close up completely, but it’s well past time for him to start letting go of his grievances. To come to terms with Luo Hui’s death, and to start living properly while he still can.

As these thoughts race through his mind, Luo Fei feels something cold and wet fall on his cheek. He looks up to the sky, and another snowflake lands on his eyelid, leaving small droplets of water on his lashes.

Luo Fei gets a strange sense—like finishing a book and turning the first leaves to a new one.

Without realizing it, he slips his hand inside his pocket, fishing for something.

“Luo Fei. Are you alright...?” Benjamin asks softly, pulling him out of his reverie.

Luo Fei clutches the object in his pocket, turning it over in his hand—so small and light, yet so heavy at the same time.

“Yeah... Let’s go home, Ben.”

Luo Fei smiles more genuinely than he has in a long time, eager to discover what the future holds.

Notes:

And thus it ends ♥ Sorry for the bittersweet ending, loves! Don't worry, there will be an epilogue. Get ready for some fluff so sweet that your teeth are gonna fall out ;-) Thank you so much for reading and leaving a kudos or a comment, even if it was just a few words! Your support means the world to me :)

So, what do you think was in Luo Fei's pocket? Share your thoughts down below! And if you're on Twitter, tell me what your dn is and let's chat there! :D

Finally, thank you to my bestie ssp_amax for her precious help and support. Babe, you helped make this story happen ♥ This is all for you ahsjashajksjka

Chapter 7: Epilogue

Summary:

As the dust settles, Benjamin and Luo Fei enjoy a bit of peace and quiet. A promise, worthy of celebration, is made.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Credit to @lanwangjis for the useful thread/map [https://twitter.com/lanwangjis/status/1282998993492951041]

I took some liberties for the areas that we have yet to see ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

******

Despite his manly looks, Luo Fei has the sleeping antics of a young child, or perhaps a small puppy. When asleep—Benjamin is fortunate enough to have found out himself—Luo Fei has a tendency to act like a baby, smiling cutely and making little sighs and giggles. Sometimes, he even talks to Benjamin, but mostly he likes to hug him—a lot. For his sake, Benjamin hasn’t shared that particular bit of information with Luo Fei, but he enjoys waking up early to watch him.

It’s adorable.

Another thing Benjamin loves about Luo Fei is that he has a number of very charming moles peppered all over his skin.

Propping himself up with his hands on the mattress, Benjamin bends down to brush his lips over the left wing of Luo Fei’s iliac crest, moving on to the spot below his navel, then slowly making his way up to his  pectoral muscles where two identical moles are situated, almost symmetrically placed on each sides of his sternum. As Benjamin deposits another kiss on the middle of Luo Fei’s cheek, Luo Fei begins to stir in sleep, whining faintly when Benjamin’s hair tickles his neck. Benjamin continues his exploration, purposefully ignoring Luo Fei’s mouth searching for his groggily, to acknowledge the mole adorning his right eyebrow, and the one near the crest of his forehead. Finally, Benjamin heeds Luo Fei’s grumbles of protests, going back to place a small peck on the upper right corner of his plump red lips, claiming his mouth at last.

At this point, Benjamin begins to shake with laughter and, no longer able to contain his amusement, rolls off Luo Fei and collapses next to him, before slinging an arm around Luo Fei’s waist and pulling him against his chest.

Luo Fei cracks an eye open experimentally, wincing at the brightness of the room. “...hey.”

Benjamin grins back at him. “Hey.”

For a short while, Luo Fei peers at Benjamin observing him through the strands of hair falling over his eyes, as if something is wrong with the picture in front of him. Then Luo Fei’s face lights up as it dawns on him. “Your hair’s a mess. That’s such a rare sight.” Luo Fei huffs, reaching forward to smooth back Benjamin’s wild bangs. However, before he can retract his arm, Benjamin takes hold of it and lifts it up to his mouth to kiss his thin, delicate wrist. “...I forgot that one.” Benjamin teases him with a playful look in his eyes, as Luo Fei stares at him, confused, having no idea what this is about.

Benjamin chuckles, making a dismissive gesture with his hand. “Here, come under the covers... it’s cold.”

Still half-asleep, Luo Fei does as he is told, finding shelter under the thick warm duvet.

Benjamin settles down on his side next to Luo Fei, holding his head in his hand to gaze at him fondly as Luo Fei curls up with his head on the pillow, not even trying to look awake anymore.

“It’s so good to be home...” Luo Fei drawls out as he stretches, trying to stifle a yawn but failing horribly. “I mean—...” He yawns again. “...no offense. Obviously, anywhere works if I’m with you, but...”

“No, I agree.” Benjamin bursts out laughing, his eyes crinkling with mirth. “This place gets a lot more light. It’s definitely more suitable for living than my old place.” He muses to himself out loud, looking out the window at the sun blessing them with its presence despite the recent chilly, gloomy weather—like a good omen.

“To be honest...” Luo Fei continues, his eyes twinkling and the corners of his lips curling up into a wolfish grin as sleepiness starts to wear away. “...I really missed this bed... and you in it...”

Feeling the heat rise to his face at the implication, Benjamin buries his head in the pillow next to Luo Fei to avoid his suggestive gaze. Luo Fei, however, isn’t about to let him escape that easily. “Aw, are you embarrassed?” Luo Fei croons, pinching Benjamin’s cheek as the other tries to squirm away from his hand without success. After all, there is only so much space on the bed. “Tell me, how is it that you still get shy around me after everything we’ve d—”

“Luo Fei!”

How can he say these things out loud so easily?

Not letting Luo Fei finish, Benjamin suddenly turns around and pounces on him, clamping his hands over Luo Fei’s mouth to cut off the flow of words coming out of it. “You have no shame. Come here, you...!”

“Ha! Try me!” Luo Fei answers back tauntingly, before shoving Benjamin away and wriggling out of his range.

“Where do you think you’re going?!”

Not having any of this, Benjamin grabs Luo Fei by the waist just as he prepares to slip out from under the covers in an attempt to run to safety, pulling him back on top of the mattress with him. Recovering quickly from this sudden attack, Luo Fei gains the upper hand by stealing Benjamin’s pillow lying forgotten to the side, smacking Benjamin on the head with the improvised weapon. Yet, despite Benjamin’s muffled protests—mixed in with bursts of unrestrained laughter—at the unfairness of Luo Fei’s method, Benjamin has no intention of losing this fight.

Besides, he has a foolproof plan.

It’s a bit of an unfair one.

“What—” Luo Fei cries breathlessly as Benjamin flips them over and, straddling Luo Fei’s lap, starts to tickle him. “Oh, come on! That’s such a cowardly move! I can’t believe yo—... would lower yours—... okay!... ha ha... Stop! Ben, you win!” Luo Fei gasps for air, the pitch of his voice gradually increasing, before breaking into a fit of uncontrollable giggles. This goes on for a few seconds that must seem like eternity to Luo Fei, before Benjamin finally takes pity on him and ceases his relentless torture, making to get off Luo Fei as he himself tries to catch his breath from laughing so much.

Gripping his shoulder to prevent him from leaving, Luo Fei directs Benjamin to lie down on top of him instead.

Luo Fei heaves out a sigh of exhaustion, trying to breathe normally to calm his wild heartbeat. His stomach hurts. “...ow. Hey, I just remembered...” Luo Fei starts saying, but Benjamin finishes his sentence for him.

“...Our first endurance test, right?”

“...Yeah. I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this before, but...”

That fated day when the young officers-to-be had been confronted with their first real trial of strength and during which they had pushed themselves past their normal limits, had been pivotal in Luo Fei’s discovery of his feelings for Benjamin. Up until then, Luo Fei was already aware that the bond he shared with Benjamin wasn’t anything he had ever known before in his life, but at that very moment, when he had found himself pressed flush against his best friend with his heart throbbing in his ears and a strange, sudden desire for more, Luo Fei had realized that something had changed. Suddenly, he was seeing Benjamin in a whole new light, and he wasn’t sure if that was a good thing.

At the time, he didn’t fully comprehend that what he was experiencing were the budding beginnings of love. Even later, when Luo Fei had started suspecting that the affection he harbored for Benjamin differed from what he felt towards his family or his other ‘friends’—few as they may be—he had kept it all bottled in, confined to the deepest depths of his heart.

Luo Fei was afraid to look. Afraid of what he might find.

It was only when they had shared a bed that night at Charlie Wang’s mansion—a situation highly reminiscent of the time when they had been roommates—that Luo Fei’s feelings lying dormant in his subconscious had been rekindled.

“And... that’s when I realized.” Luo Fei finishes, peering up at Benjamin and seeing the same sweet nostalgia he feels reflected in his lover’s eyes. “Although, if I’m being honest, you had already caught my eye on the first day of school, what with that impressive entrance you made and all.” Luo Fei teases him lightly before sobering up. “What about you?”

Benjamin tilts his head to the side, his eyes softening in adoration, yet tinged with faint, barely noticeable sadness.

“Luo Fei... Ever since I’ve known you, my feelings have never changed.”

Luo Fei stares at Benjamin in wonder, at a loss for words. He used to think that he had a pretty good grasp of how deep Benjamin’s love for him ran, but sometimes, he still gets taken aback by the sheer intensity of it.

“Ben...”

Luo Fei makes to sit in bed, so Benjamin rolls off of him and pushes himself up to rest his back against the headboard. As for him, Luo Fei takes a bit more time to come to his cross-legged position, therefore Benjamin gives Luo Fei as much as he needs as he struggles to find the right words to say. Finally, Luo Fei clasps his hands on his blanketed lap and gazes up at Benjamin fondly. “...thank you. For everything. I mean it, you know.”


The words ring out, heavy with meaning, like an irrefutable truth.

“Luo Fei... You don’t need to—...” Benjamin protests, looking nervous at the finality of Luo Fei’s tone.

“No, listen to me.” Luo Fei interrupts him, successfully drawing Benjamin’s attention, who stops mid-sentence, caught off guard. Once Luo Fei is sure that he can talk freely, he continues, reaching forward to pull Benjamin’s hand onto his lap, and begins to stroke his palm with the pad of his thumb absentmindedly, tracing along the thin lines there. “The truth is, I’m so used to having you around that I sometimes take you for granted. But I know it’s wrong of me to. Ben, you’ve always been there for me... I just can’t fathom what I’ve done to deserve you.”

Benjamin frowns at these words, disagreeing with Luo Fei’s point of view. “That’s not—”

But Luo Fei doesn’t let him finish. Instead, he focuses on Benjamin’s pale, elegant fingers, suddenly unable to meet Benjamin’s eyes as he pours out his heart for him, and presses on. “And I know you’re going to say I don’t need to make it up to you, and that we’re not keeping score, but... I just...  I realize now that I’ve never really taken the time to tell you how much you mean to me, and how grateful I am that we met. I’m lucky to have you, Ben... I really am. Thank god that our paths crossed all those years ago. It was the best thing to have ever happened to me.”

It’s true, though: Benjamin is the only person to have stuck with Luo Fei against all odds. For years upon years, Benjamin kept his feelings for him locked away, never asking for anything in return, and, knowing him, he probably would have been content spending the rest of his life like this, selflessly watching over Luo Fei, even if that meant that he had to give up on a future together that he thought they could never have.

Even if he had to deny himself the right to receive as much love as he gave away.

So, if anyone were to ask...

No, there isn’t a single person out there that Luo Fei would rather spend the rest of his life with.

Bracing himself, Luo Fei looks up from his lap to Benjamin’s face and instantly feels a lump start to form in his throat as the picture that meets his eyes is beyond anything he could have possibly imagined.

Benjamin looks... well, he looks devastated.

Although Luo Fei pretty much has front row tickets to Benjamin’s psyche, seeing how the other likes to share anything and everything with him, Benjamin is a man who usually keeps to himself, and he certainly isn’t one to express his emotions in such an open way. Luo Fei can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times that he’s seen Benjamin be upset by something, and the number of times that he’s witnessed his tears is close to none.

So this is definitely a first.

Benjamin’s eyes are red and brimming with tears as he stares at Luo Fei quietly, his trembling lips trying to form words but incapable of coherent speech. “Luo Fei, I... I...”

Unable to bear this heart-wrenching sight any longer, Luo Fei closes the distance between them and pulls in Benjamin’s lean body, which is suddenly overcome with slight tremors. Benjamin hugs him back fiercely, burying his face in Luo Fei’s neck. “Shhh. I know.” Luo Fei whispers, feeling his own eyes swimming as he caresses the back of Benjamin’s head in a soothing manner, running his fingers through his thick silky hair. He continues nervously, trying to laugh off the matter to hide his own trouble. “Alright, easy... Ben, please—... hey, don’t make me cry, too... ha ha...”

Benjamin finally speaks again, his voice muffled against Luo Fei’s bare skin, broken. “...Why are you telling me all this...?”

Sighing, Luo Fei grabs Benjamin by the shoulders, gently pushing him away to look him straight in the eyes.

“Ben... No one is more precious to me than you. Heck, if I could... I would ask you to marry me without batting an eye.”

Benjamin looks startled for a second, but he quickly recovers from his surprise. He smiles tentatively. “Luo Fei... Even if we’re not bound to each other in the legal sense, I’m happy just being with you like this.”

That’s it. Luo Fei thinks to himself, his heart thundering in his chest. There isn’t going to be a better time.

“You know what...? You’re right, Ben. We don’t need the law to make it official.” Luo Fei answers him, twisting his body around to open the bedside table drawer and retrieve something from it. With his free hand, Luo Fei takes one of Benjamin’s hands in his and places a small box inside of it. Speechless, Benjamin stares back at him, his beautiful eyes widened in confusion, and with just a hint of panic.

“Open it.” Luo Fei manages to say, by some kind of miracle, with an even tone.

Benjamin looks back down at the box sitting on his palm, and Luo Fei can see that his eyes are filling with tears again. Slowly, he opens the box to reveal a thin gold band. Very minimalist in its design yet glowing with refined elegance.

Benjamin blinks slowly, his mouth forming a small ‘o’. “This is...”

“It’s nothing fancy, but...”

“No... I love it. It’s very nice.” Benjamin hurries to say, taking the ring out of the box and turning it over in his hand, sniffing miserably. “Luo Fei... You know what my answer is.”

Luo Fei slowly takes the ring from Benjamin’s palm while holding his other hand with his free one in a firm steady grip, for he is definitely not shaking.

“Let me ask you anyway. My dear Ben... Will you be my secret, off-the-record husband—not in writing but in heart?”

“Yes.” Benjamin answers confidently, his face brightening up at the prospect as a lone teardrop rolls down his cheek.

“Are you sure? There’s no way out for you after this. I definitely won’t let you go.” Luo Fei jokes, feeling a sudden rush of relief at Benjamin’s clear answer. It’s not that he feared his refusal—but still. He finds himself mirroring Benjamin’s contagious smile in earnest, and is probably grinning like a fool by now, but he doesn’t care one bit.

Benjamin laughs, wiping his eyes. “I am. I’ve never been more sure of anything.”

Luo Fei slips the gold band around Benjamin’s finger, then takes his hand and kisses his knuckles tenderly. “Good, then it’s settled. Hey, who knows... maybe we’ll create a precedent.”

Benjamin nods, squeezing Luo Fei’s hand in his. “You’ve been planning this for a while, haven’t you?”

In fact, Luo Fei had broached the topic before, though Benjamin had dismissed it, for all that it seemed impossible then.

It had sounded like a distant notion—a privilege reserved for others only.

“Yeah, well... Although I thought about it a lot these days, we got busy and I never got the chance. But with everything that happened lately, I didn’t want to put it off forever, you know? Nothing is for certain...” Luo Fei frowns imperceptibly at the memory of recent events, much too fresh in his mind, thinking how he had narrowly missed his chance for good. “It’s just symbolic, obviously. We don’t need to tell anyone if you don’t want to.”

“Tell us what?” Says a familiar voice from across the room. Luo Fei whirls around to find Xiaoman standing at the door.

At the sight of their female coworker, Benjamin scurries away under the covers.

Luo Fei swears under his breath. “...Why are you here?”

Xiaoman shrugs, blinking innocently. “I heard you screaming from across the hall. Is everything alright?”

“We’re fine. We were just...” Luo Fei sighs, covering his face. “Please, can you just... come back later.” He makes a vague hand motion meant to indicate that Xiaoman should leave, but Xiaoman doesn’t catch the hint—or chooses not to—taking a few steps inside the room. Luo Fei lifts the sheets to cover his naked chest in a panic. “...Hey, don’t come closer! I’m not wearing anything for god’s sake! Qin Xiaoman, this isn’t how a lady is supposed to behave!” Reaching for one of the pillows behind them, Luo Fei hurls it at Xiaoman, who avoids the incoming projectile expertly.

“What were you talking about just now? What are you two hiding from me?”

Another pillow comes flying at Xiaoman, but she dodges it just as easily, throwing it back at her attacker twice as hard.

Following this, a few more pillows fly across the room in both directions with increasing animosity.

This does not bode for either of them...

Someone needs to step in before things really start to get out of hand.

“Ah... Stop it, you two... Don’t fight over this!” Benjamin laughs, venturing out from under the sheets and grabbing Luo Fei’s arm to keep him from murdering their dear friend, forgetting to put up his defense and earning himself a few more whacks on the head for his imprudence, which he accepts good-naturedly.

“Luo Fei, it’s okay! We can tell Xiaoman.”

******

They had told Xiaoman, and Xiaoman had told Wang Susu, who had told, well... everyone.

Naturally.

Wang Susu had taken it upon herself to organize a party to celebrate this joyous occasion. Although initially the couple had agreed on the condition that only their close friends and acquaintances be present, as they didn’t wish to bring too much attention to themselves, they had ended up extending the invitation to the entire police department, not wanting anyone to feel left out. Most of the officers had happily accepted—which left them with a much bigger event to plan than previously thought—but still, finding just how much their colleagues appreciated and accepted them was quite a pleasant surprise for both Luo Fei and Benjamin.

Of course, their former mentor Zhan Yi, who was a guest of honor, had also been ecstatic about the news.

No ceremony of any kind was planned, as it wasn’t really a proper wedding to begin with. It was merely an occasion for everyone to get together after the last major case had been closed. Nothing more.

Or so they thought.

“Susu... I thought we had said we wanted to keep it nice and simple?”

Amongst her many connections, Susu had become acquainted with a widowed banker who owned numerous sumptuous houses, each more opulent than the next, including a beautiful mansion with a private garden. This very rich man who obviously had eyes only for the Sullivan’s charming landlady had accepted to lend them the house if Susu would be so kind as to accompany him for a night of dancing at Paramount in the following week. Being the social butterfly that she was, she had graciously accepted—after all, it was a terribly small price to pay for such a good cause.

Aiya, but you’re such sweet boys!” Susu protests, placing her hand on Luo Fei’s arm and cocking her head coquettishly. “You two deserve all the best in the world. It’s only natural, Luo Fei!”

Touched by Susu’s kind words, Luo Fei gives her a radiant smile. “Thank you, Susu. Ah... if you’ll excuse me.” Luo Fei says with a courteous bow, before heading towards two familiar figures standing to the side with a glass in hand.

“Gentlemen.” Luo Fei greets Benjamin and Savoy before winking at Benjamin, who beams at him.

For the occasion, Benjamin is dressed in a dashing white suit—in great contrast to Luo Fei’s own classic, black tuxedo—his hair combed back into a sleeked style which further enhances his dark eyes and sharp cheekbones.

“I was just passing on our best wishes on behalf of the whole department.” Savoy explains to Luo Fei, his expression serious, but his eyes laughing. “Luo Fei. Benjamin. ” He clears his throat, gathering his thoughts before continuing where he left off. “...I want you both to know that I’m very proud of you, and that you have my complete support, no matter what. Anyone who disagrees can come take it up with the French Concession police department’s Detective Superintendent, or my name isn’t Savoy.” Their boss slaps one hand on each of their shoulders in a rough display of affection, trying not to let his emotion show too much.

Luo Fei glances at Benjamin knowingly and the three of them fall silent, lost in their thoughts.

“Thank you, sir. That means a lot to us.” Benjamin says sincerely, managing to summon up a wobbly smile.

Savoy blinks hard twice, visibly moved, then pulls away and clears his throat again.

Ahem. Anyway—...”

At this very moment, Zhan Yi arrives, half-walking, half-jogging. “Savoy! I’ve been looking for you all over! What’s that, you started drinking without your brother?” Zhan Yi cries, before slinging an arm around Savoy’s shoulders and beaming at Benjamin and Luo Fei who are observing the scene in amusement. “It’s your wedding, so I won’t call you ‘boys’ today, but to me, you’ll always be those two scrawny kids who waited too damn long to tell each other how they felt...” He sighs, then grins. “Well, you’re still young, and you’re husbands now. Congratulations!”

“We’ll leave you two for now.” Savoy gazes at them warmly, filled with fatherly pride, before turning towards his friend. “Let’s get you something to drink. I may have gotten a headstart, but you’ve always been better at holding your liquor.”

Benjamin and Luo Fei watch them leave, making their way towards the bar.

Once they’re alone at last—or at least, as alone as they can be given the situation—Luo Fei pulls Benjamin towards him, inching closer to him to whisper in his ear. “...You’re stunning.”

“You look rather dapper yourself, actually.”

Luo Fei chuckles, offering Benjamin his hand. “Hey, handsome. How about a dance?”

“You’ll have to excuse me, sir. I came here with someone.” Benjamin counters in jest, looking quite pleased at the offer.

Luo Fei pouts, deciding to play along. “Aw, come on... Make an exception for me?”

“Alright, then—but just this once. I wouldn’t want my husband to be jealous.” Benjamin consents at last, before taking Luo Fei’s hand and letting Luo Fei lead him towards the dance floor with a laugh and a resounding ‘deal!’. Somewhere, someone whistles loudly as Luo Fei grabs hold of Benjamin’s right shoulder and Benjamin rests his hand on Luo Fei’s left shoulderblade—Luo Fei would wager it’s that fool Ye Changqing—so Luo Fei puts on his most charming smile for the guests while Benjamin looks down in mute embarrassment, his cheeks turning a faint rosy shade.

“Just pretend they’re not here.” Luo Fei says softly as he takes Benjamin’s free hand in his, entwining their fingers.

The couple steps into the three-beat rhythm of a waltz, with Benjamin taking the lead, much to Luo Fei’s surprise.

“You’ve gotten much better since last time.” Luo Fei notes appreciatively as they pass through the other dancers moving across the floor in a twirl of coat tails and skirts. “...What happened?”

Before Benjamin can answer, Xiaoman appears at their side in the arms of Officer Zhan Fang, Major Zhan Yi’s nephew. She and Benjamin share a conspiratorial look, and Luo Fei understands at once.

“I, uh... practiced with Xiaoman.” Benjamin admits, a bit sheepishly. “I wanted to surprise you.”

“Well, you’ve succeeded.” Luo Fei praises him as he follows Benjamin’s confident steps. “I’m impressed, Ben.”

Benjamin only smiles, saying nothing as he focuses on the routine.

They enjoy themselves for a while, making good use of Benjamin’s efforts to master the dance. In fact, Luo Fei hasn’t had that much fun in a long time, and seeing Benjamin letting loose for once is the most endearing thing ever. However, once fatigue starts to creep in and the two men prepare to leave the dance floor to settle down and rest up for a bit, something catches Luo Fei’s eye all of a sudden, and he stops in his tracks.

Luo Fei squints at the room in front of him, confused. Surely, it couldn’t be...

For a second there, Luo Fei thinks he sees a young girl clad in a beautiful flowing gown, smiling back at him from across the ballroom, but she vanishes in the blink of an eye.

Luo Fei turns to check over his shoulder, searching through the small crowds of people...

No, it must have been his imagination.

Luo Fei feels someone grab his arm, pulling him out of his daydream, and he whirls around to find Benjamin looking at him with deep concern in his eyes. “Luo Fei? Is something wrong?” Benjamin asks, frowning.

“It’s nothing. I just thought I recognized someone.” Luo Fei trails off, taking Benjamin’s arm. “Come on. Let’s go sit down.

Tonight, Luo Fei is finally moving on, bidding goodbye to the ghosts of his past.

Hui Hui... Luo Fei thinks sadly. You’ll always be in my heart, but I’ve got to stop looking back, and start looking forward.

Luo Fei knows that this is what his sister would have wanted.

******

“Beeeeen.” Luo Fei whines, calling after Benjamin in a very loud voice despite their being seated barely one foot away.

Somehow, this feels like déja vu... Benjamin thinks to himself nostalgically as he watches Luo Fei writhe in his chair, his upper body half-collapsed on the table. Well aware of Luo Fei’s drinking antics, Benjamin had wanted to keep him as far away from the drinks as possible, but tonight was a special occasion, so he had conceded and resolved to take responsibility regardless of what happened. Five minutes later, he was already regretting his decision.

To spare him what pride Luo Fei has left, Benjamin picks him up and tries to get him to sit properly, but Luo Fei falls back into a bad slouch almost right away, this time supporting himself on Benjamin’s shoulder and draping his long arms all around him. Luo Fei smiles roguishly, his face inches away from Benjamin’s and his breath smelling strongly of alcohol.

Benjamin grimaces, wrinkling his nose at the stench.

“Luo Fei... I feel like your alcohol tolerance keeps getting worse with time. How is that even possible...?”

Luo Fei babbles a bunch of nonsense in response.

Despite his slight tone of reproach earlier, Benjamin looks fondly at the man lying half-asleep on his shoulder.

Benjamin isn’t one for social gatherings; that much has always been true. Aside from the event at Charlie Wang’s mansion a short while ago, this may very well be the first real party that he attends since their get-together with his classmates from the academy on the evening of their graduation—a night that is forever imprinted in Benjamin’s mind as the night when he had first tasted Luo Fei’s lips. At the time, he had wanted nothing more than for the festivities to come to an end so that he could find shelter in the safety of his room. But tonight...

Tonight, Benjamin is with the man he loves—now his husband—surrounded by people who care about him just as much as he cares about them, and maybe—just maybe—this party isn’t half-bad, and he wouldn’t mind staying for a bit more. But Luo Fei is a terrible drunk, and Benjamin knows that they shouldn’t linger too long. “...Ben Jie Ming...” Luo Fei mumbles drunkenly and leans in to kiss him on the mouth as if to prove his point, but thanks to his good reflexes, Benjamin turns his face away just in time, showing Luo Fei his left cheek instead. Luo Fei... You haven’t changed at all.

“...Not here.” Benjamin scolds him affectionately.

After saying goodbye to the guests, and thanking Wang Susu once again for the wonderful evening, Benjamin helps Luo Fei up to his feet and takes him back to their guest room for the night.

Yes—this is definitely déja vu.

**END**

Notes:

And thus it ends (take two) T_T I have no other words other than thank you to everyone who read up until the end! I hope I gave BenFei the ending that they deserve :)

Also thank you to my best friend, my muse, my soulmate @ssp_amax ♥ You were my inspiration right from the start! Thank you all for your support xox

— Steph