Actions

Work Header

Meaningless Without You

Summary:

He has decided to be king and she has no choice but to help him fulfill his destiny, but how can she help him and remain by his side. She has to protect him and she has to stay with him, but how?

or Hae Soo uses her brains and becomes Wang So's only Queen.

Notes:

Tbh, as much as I love Hae Soo, I felt like had she used her brain a bit more, then she need not have watched as Yeon Hwa became Queen. I hated the show's sad ending, so here's how I wish things turned out.

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter 1: I.The Hae in Hae Soo

Chapter Text

Chapter One

 

Hae Soo could not sleep, what So had said constantly ringing in her mind. ‘He has finally chosen to be king’ she thought, while she was initially upset at that, she did want to leave the palace with him after all. She had to support him; it was his destiny to be King of Goryeo. Besides, she would rather stay by his side and in the palace than without him and outside the palace. Which lead to her thinking of how to help him out with his endeavor to become king, or rather how to secure her position in his life. While her So would never push her aside for someone else, she knew that when he became king, he’d have to marry someone from a powerful background to consolidate his position, and she could not give him that power, she was only a court lady after all.

Seeing the sunrise in the sky, the court lady got up to take care of her daily duties at Damiwon. She went outside and prepared herself a cup of loose-leaf tea and sat down on stairs in the Damiwon, waiting for the rest of the court ladies to wake up.

It was only after she finished assigning everyone their chores for the day did her mind go back to the 4th Prince. She did not understand what she could do, how she could provide him support. Princess Yeon Hwa’s words rang in her head once more, ‘I will make you regret this, let’s see who gets the 4th Prince, you or I’

It was practically a challenge; Soo did not understand Yeon Hwa’s ‘love’ for the 4th Prince but that did not mean she did not know what the princess was capable of doing. The 8th Prince and the Hwangbo clan wanted the throne, that much was obvious, if Wook does not become king then…. would the clan offer Yeon Hwa as Queen? She would not be surprised if they did.

‘Wasn’t Queen Daemok Gwangjong’s half-sister?’ She wondered, confused as to who married the 4th Prince in her world, these were the times she wished she paid more attention in school during history classes.

“My lady, are you well?” it was Chae Ryung’s voice that brought her back to earth, as she blinked her eyes, confused as to what was going on, standing next to Chae Ryung, was the royal astrologer, Choi Ji Mong.

She stood up and bowed to the older man before saying, “My apologies, I was lost in thought. What brings you here Ji Mong?”   

Ji Mong smiled and replied, “I wish to speak to you in private, Lady Soo.”

The man had never approached her on his own, so she was curious as to what brought him here, she smiled at the astrologer and motioned towards a tearoom, “Then follow me, Chae Ryung, have chamomile tea sent.” She ordered and walked towards the tearoom, Choi Ji Mong following behind her.

Once they were seated in the tearoom and tea was brought by Chae Ryung, Hae Soo turned to the royal astrologer, “What brings you to the Damiwon Ji Mong?” she asked while pouring tea for him and herself.

“I’m sure Prince So has informed you of his plans” Ji Mong whispered, she nodded and motioned for him to continue.

“He will need to marry a woman who can be a Queen to Goryeo, who can provide him the support of a powerful family. While I do believe you possess the ability to be a good queen, it is the family background that I am worried about.” He admitted, looking at the court lady before continuing,

“No one in court will allow you, a mere, disinherited court lady, to become queen, my lady.” He continued, confirming all of Soo’s fears.

“Ji Mong…who…. who is Queen Daemok? Is she…is she Princess Yeon Hwa...?” she stuttered, afraid of the answer to her question.

Ji Mong nodded and it felt as though someone had stabbed her through her heart, pushing back the tears she felt in her eyes at the thought of So marrying Yeon Hwa, she looked at the astrologer, “What must I do? Have you come here to tell me to back off from the 4th Prince’s affections?” she asked fearfully.

Choi Ji Mong smiled and replied, “Not at all Lady Hae Soo, I am only giving you a warning as to what is to come, so you can prepare yourself. You have the star of a queen, my lady, but only you can fulfill your destiny.” He said as he finished his tea and got up, bowing to the highest court lady of Damiwon and leaving the tearoom.

She sat frozen on the seat, her mind racing at what he said, ‘disinherited court lady’ that is all she was, Hae Soo was only that in this world. She got up to continue with her duties, ‘disinherited….’ The Hae clan, it was one of the stronger clans in Goryeo, it must have been powerful as it did help the 8th Prince and his family return back to Songak.

She left the tearoom with a plan formulating in her mind, she called the court lady standing the closest to her and ordered, “Ask Gyobang’s head court lady Woo Hee to visit me along with the 13th Prince later today evening.” The court lady bowed and left to complete her order, and Soo spent the rest of the time completing her work in a daze.

 


 

“What happened Soo-ya?” The 13th Prince asked as he sipped his tea alongside Woo Hee,

“Are there any Hae clan members in Songak?” She asked him, Baek ah looked confused at her question but hesitantly replied, “Hong Ha Jin Hae’s second son is in Songak, he has been representing the Hae clan at court ever since his father passed away.”

“I would like to meet him, at the soonest, could you arrange a way for us to meet outside the palace?” she asked, she knew it was a bit too much considering the fact that it had been only a week when she had left the palace in secret to meet So and take care of him.

Woo Hee and Baek ah shared a look, not understanding why Hae Soo would want to meet with the Hae clan, “Why do you want to meet with the Hae clan, Soo-ya?” Woo Hee questioned the Damiwon court lady,

Hae Soo sighed before replying, “If I am not wrong, only the Shinju Kang clan and the Park clan are supporting the 4th Prince’s bid for the throne. He will need the backing of another strong clan to secure his position as king and….if the Hae clan helps him out then there won’t be any protest by the other clans in him marrying me…I do not care for all matters of court, I just need a way to ensure that the 4th Prince will be able to marry me without facing any repercussions.” She looked up from her monologue to see the couple in front of her stunned at what she had said.

Woo Hee was the first to recover from her shock and smiled proudly at Hae Soo as she said, “You speak like a true queen Soo-ya, Baek ah-nim will help you, wouldn’t you?” she turned to her lover, who said, “Of course I will, I’ll arrange a meeting between you and Lord Hae Jeon Hin.”

"It will be really good to have the Hae clan on hyungnim's side, in the recent years, the Hae clan has helped a lot of clans with Khitan, should the Hae clan put forth a marriage proposal, I do not think any clan would oppose it." Baek ah said, smiling brightly at Soo.

Hae Soo smiled at her friends and thanked them for their support, the conversation went ahead for a couple more hours before they left. She slept peacefully that night.

Chapter 2: II. Hae Jeon Hin orabeoni

Summary:

Soo shocks her cousin and is extremely pleased, Woo Hee and Hae Soo go shopping

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Chapter Two

 

The official reason as to why the Damiwon closed early today was that the head court lady was feeling unwell. The unofficial reason as to why the Damiwon closed early today was because Hae Soo wished to plot treason with her clan.

She remembered Myung Hee unnie saying that the Hae clan’s colors were purple and teal, so she made it a point to wear a teal hanbok with a purple jeogori. Once she was ready, she silently slipped away from Damiwon, Woo Hee was waiting for her outside. Soo smiled at Woo Hee, “Thank you so much for this, Woo Hee-ya.” She said as both the women walked away from Damiwon and towards the exit where the 13th Prince was waiting for them.

“There you both are, I was beginning to worry about what happened to you,” Baek ah said once he noticed the court ladies. Soo smiled at the prince and greeted him.

“There is a tavern at the outskirts of the market, remember the one we once went to? Your cousin will be wearing the teal and purple colors of your clan, so you’ll notice him with ease. Come back on time Soo-ya.” 13th Prince Anjong informed his friend,

“You both went to a tavern together?” Woo Hee raised her eyebrow, questioning the two.

“It was after Myung Hee’s death; I’ll tell you about it later.” Baek ah said nervously, Woo Hee chuckled at his reaction.

“I’ll see you both soon then.” Court Lady Hae said and bowed to the 13th Prince before leaving. She did not like this exit out of the palace, it was very dark so she wasn’t able to clearly see the path in front of her. When she had left the palace to meet the 4th Prince, she had fallen multiple times in her hurry to see the love of her life. So, this time, she took her time to reach the market, careful not to stain her clothes. She had to look articulate in front of her cousin so that he took her words seriously.

She finally reached the market and soon found the tavern which Baek ah-nim and her had gone to once after Myung Hee unnie’s death. Loud noises of men laughing filled her ears as she entered. Long tables were put for people to sit at. She looked around, trying to find a man in purple and teal,

“Hae Soo,” a deep voice said behind her, she turned around in surprise to look at the man who had called her name out. His clothes made it obvious that he was nobility. He looked handsome, that she had to admit. He was taller than her, although not as tall as the 13th Prince. She moved a couple of steps back and bowed to her cousin, “Greetings to you cousin.” She said, pushing her nervousness away.

Lord Hae Jeon Hin chuckled at her formal greeting, “Rise cousin, I had not believed the rumors of you losing your memories, but clearly it seems to be the case, so I shall introduce myself once more. I am Hae Jeon Hin, your 5th cousin and former betrothed.”

Her head snapped up at the words ‘former betrothed’, noticing the alarmed expression on her face, he added, “That betrothal was broken after my father arranged your marriage to the king and later on disowned you, so you need not worry.” He took her to a secluded room with alcohol placed on the table, both of them sat down, facing each other.

“May I say, your request to meet me was truly surprising, it has been what, almost 8 years since my father disinherited you from our clan, what is it that you want Soo?” He informally addressed her, she placed her right hand over her left and looked up at him, “Could I ask you a question?” She asked. The lord looked taken aback by what she had said but nodded.

“Why hasn’t the Hae clan made a move to grab power?”

Lord Hae looked at her curiously before replying, “I do not know why you’re asking me this but I shall answer this anyway, we’re waiting for the right opportunity, the current king already has 2 wives, a Hae clan daughter cannot be a third queen, our clan is too important for that. Maybe once my brother has a daughter, we’ll offer her as a wife for King’s son.”

She poured a cup of alcohol for her cousin before saying, “What if I told you that you did not have to wait for that long to place a Hae on the throne.” Hae Jeon Hin froze at what she said, his cup raised halfway, he placed it down and looked at her in the eye.

“What do you mean by that?” the Hae lord suddenly turned serious at what she said.

“The King isn’t sane, he frequently has shocks and attacks and goes insane, forget the next year, he won’t make it past this month. The Yoo clan has made sure this information does not go out of the palace.” She delicately sipped her cup.

“Are you certain?” Her cousin asked.

“I am the highest court lady of the Damiwon, I directly serve the king, do you think I do not know, orabeoni?” Hae Soo said, smiling at her cousin.

“The king is ill, he has not declared a crown prince. How does that help our clan? The king will declare the 14th Prince as his heir soon then.”

“The 14th Prince will never become king. He only has the support of his clan. 4th Prince Wang So will become the next King of Goryeo.” She strongly said.

“And why do you say so?” The second Hae son curiously asked. He was surprised by how well informed his cousin was and wanted to know why she approached him.

“He has the Park clan byway of Grand General Park Soo Kyung supporting him and his adopted clan, the Shinju Kangs behind him. Both of them are two very powerful clans. Not only that but Silla’s Gyeongju Kim clan also supports him. He’s married to King Hyejong’s eldest daughter, who was sent away to a nunnery. The position of the first queen is left empty” She informed the lord, who looked surprised at what he had heard.

A smile erupted on the young lord’s face, “A place left for a queen, a Hae Queen” he looked at his cousin-sister and asked, “Why have you told me all of this? What is in it for you?”

“The 4th Prince asked me for my hand in marriage.” She revealed, stunning the man in front of her. Sure he had heard rumors of how close the 4th Prince was to a court lady, but he did not believe them to be true. After all the 4th Prince was known for his ruthlessness when it comes to battle and politics.

“Wha.wha….surely you jest.” He stuttered, staring at his cousin in a new light.

“Do you think I would be here, talking to you about this, if I wished to jest?” She sighed and continued, “The Hae clan is at the strongest its been in the past 3 decades, if you support the 4th Prince’s bid for the throne, he will reward our clan.” Hae Soo emphasized on the ‘our’

“Is that why you did not marry King Taejo? Because you wished to marry his son?” Lord Jeon Hin asked,

“Yes,” she lied, so that he believed what she said.

“The next king of Goryeo wishes to marry you, which means he favors you. If you become Queen then that would result in an increase in both power and influence for our clan, not to mention that the next king on the throne would have Hae blood.”

Hae Soo smiled as she drank the alcohol and nodded before saying, “I am not a Hae though, your father had me disinherited, or have you forgotten that orabeoni?” She looked at him. Realization dawned on his face as he finally understood why she requested to meet him, “You want our clan to adopt you back into the clan and support the 4th Prince’s claim to the throne and in turn, we’d get a Hae Queen and have Hae blood on the throne.” He looked at her for confirmation,

“Yes, so will you support 4th Prince Wang So?” She questioned Lord Hae, who finally gave her a proper smile.

“It was a mistake disowning you, sweet cousin of mine. I will leave Songak at dawn to return to Hoengseong. Consider yourself adopted back into the Hae clan. The 4th Prince is at the site of the new palace, isn’t he?” The Lord rushed out,

“Yes, he is, orabeoni, and thank you for adopting me back into the clan. I promise you I will not disappoint our clan.” She smiled and bowed to him in gratitude.

He handed her a fairly heavy pouch, she looked up at him in confusion, “If you are to be Queen, you must dress like one. Get a wardrobe commissioned for you. Order hanboks in Hae clan’s teal and purple, and Kang clan’s black and red.” He ordered and Soo nodded at what he said.

Soo bowed to the lord once more and left the tavern to return to the palace.

When he heard from the 13th Prince that his cousin wanted to meet him, he had never expected this would be the outcome.

He was still finding it hard to believe that the 4th Prince was capable of emotions. Running a hand through his hair, he returned to his residence. He initially planned on leaving at dawn, but if what Hae Soo said was true, then the king could die at any moment. The throne had to be secured.

“If anyone asks, I have returned to Hoengseong because I have received news that my mother is ill.” He told his cousin who stayed in Songak with him, who nodded.

Lord Hae Jeon Hin packed essentials and left before the sun rose. The Hae clan only planned on maintaining their current stronghold and influence over the clans, but this would most certainly change everything.

‘Pyeongsan Shin clan must be on it too’ he thought, the powerful clan was displeased that the new palace was being built on their land, surely, they supported the 4th Prince too. The Hae Clan had a couple of daughters, removed a bit from the mainline. They could marry one of them to the Shin clan too. The Hae clan was famous for the many sons they had; it was rare that a daughter was born. A Hae in the Shin clan and another Hae on the throne. The young lord could not control his excitement as he rushed to his hometown.


Hae Soo woke up with a bright smile, Princess Yeon Hwa would never marry her 4th Prince. She could not stop smiling even when she went about her duties and when she had run into the princess on her way to the astrology tower, she could not control the widening of her lips.

“Greetings to you, Princess.” Court Lady Hae bowed, Yeon Hwa nodded and went about her way.

‘Checkmate Hwangbo Yeon Hwa’ she thought as she watched the Princess walk away. She turned around and made her way to the tower.

‘He should really consider moving somewhere else’ Soo thought as she climbed the stairs of the tower, trying to ignore her aching knees. She entered the study to see the 13th Prince talking to Ji Mong.

She bowed to both the men and questioningly looked to the 13th Prince, wondering why he was here, “I came here to tell Ji Mong about your visit to your cousin last night.” He informed her.

She sat down next to Baek ah and looked at Ji Mong, who chuckled, “It seems you took my advice well Lady Soo.”

“I tried my best Ji Mong.” She smiled.

“No one will speak up against the 4th Prince being king if the Haes are on his side. I must inform him about the details of your conversation with Lord Hae Jeon Hin, King Jeonjong has ignored me throughout his reign, so no one will be surprised if I left the palace.” Choi Ji Mong said.

“Must you inform the 4th Prince….” She winced at thought of So finding out that she risked her life and left the palace again,

‘He’s going to kill me.’ She thought.

Baek ah laughed seeing her face, realizing what was going on her mind, “He is just concerned Soo-ya, you get yourself into trouble almost all the time.” He joked,

“It is simply the situation around me and not I.” She said, crossing her arms and glaring at the 13th Prince.

“You ran into a forest filled with goons who were trying to chop Jung’s arm, with only a wooden log for defense.” Baek ah countered.

“Fine, fine” she muttered, defeated by what he said.

Hae Soo began explaining what all had gone down in the previous night’s conversation and how the young lord had left for Hoengseong immediately.

“This is good news indeed.” Ji Mong said after she finished, “I shall leave tonight to inform the prince.” He told the other two, who nodded at what he said.

Things were finally going well.


Soo liked frequenting the market, Goryeo’s markets were something she had still not gotten used to, despite staying here for over 8 years. It was so different from her world.

After looking around for a while, Hae Soo and Woo Hee went to the seamstress’s shop, which was surprisingly not that busy, Soo expected the shop to be buzzing with business, she looked questioningly towards the Gyobang court lady, “Winter is on its way, so the people save their money for rations instead.” Woo Hee informed Soo.

They walked in and the seamstress bowed and welcomed them in, “I would like to commission a large wardrobe of 30 hanboks.” Soo said, smiling at the lady.

“Add more hanboks of either teal and purple or red and black, but do not restrict yourself to those colors alone. Use more pastel shades, I do not prefer darker colors.” Soo said as she handed ten gold coins to the lady, who looked shocked seeing the gold but quickly recovered, “Of course my lady, please stand straight so I can take down your measurements.” She asked and Soo stood straight and let the woman measure her for her new clothes.

After she was done, Woo Hee ordered some hanboks for herself with the money that she earned from Gyobang. It was when she was looking around the shop that she found some blue and white silk, ‘It would look good on the 4th Prince’ she thought, “Can you pack these silks for me please?” she asked the seamstress, who smiled and nodded, taking the silks away to be packed. “I hope the hanboks will be ready in a week’s time.” Woo Hee asked the seamstress, who bowed and replied affirmatively. Pleased with their purchases, both the women strolled through the market, looking around at the different shops while engaging in a conversation.

Notes:

I hope Hae Soo sounds like Hae Soo, tbh I tried incorporating a bit of her fierce personality (What we see when she first came to Goryeo) into the second half of this chapter.

Pyeongsan Shin clan is the clan that was based in Seokyong, modern-day Pyongyang.

Hoengseong is the hometown of Korea's Go clan so I used that here.

Chapter 3: III. Wang So wants sleep

Summary:

So needs sleep, Soo needs to stop sneaking out of the palace

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Chapter Three

 

 

Wang So was extremely tired.

He had spent over half the day discussing plans on how to attack the palace, spilling as little blood as possible, with Grand General Park. He was extremely tired and was walking towards his tent, ready to pass out as soon as his head reached the pillow.

“Your highness! 4th Prince!” A soldier called out from behind him, he turned to look at the man who was running towards him.

“Your highness, the Royal Astrologer, Choi Ji Mong has entered the camp, he is with Grand General Park and wished for your audience.”

‘What was he doing here?’ So wondered, confused as to why Ji Mong had come here and was not in the palace.

‘What if the king had hurt Baek ah or Soo in some fit of madness….’ Worrying over the two most important people in his life, the 4th Prince steeled himself and returned to the General’s tent, all thoughts of sleep forgotten.

“What is it, Ji Mong? Are Soo and Baek ah alright?” He asked, concerned.

“Both of them are fine. I have brought good news, Prince So. The Hae clan has agreed to support your claim for the throne. Lord Hae Myeong, the current head of the clan, should be coming to meet you in the next couple of days.”

Hae Myeong, the son of the man who had sold Soo to King Taejo like cattle and then disinherited her from the clan. She almost died saving herself from that marriage. His Soo almost died. So doubted if he could ever forget that.

But the Hae clan had gained a lot of power in the past decade as they had helped a lot of clans with Khitan, trade had flourished for the clan too, having the Hae clan support his claim to the throne would make sure that his position was secured.

“Just how did the Hae clan agree to support us?” The Grand General asked the astrologer.

Ji Mong suddenly looked nervous but was forced to answer when the 4th Prince glared at him.

“Lady Hae Soo went to meet with her cousin, Lord Hae Jeon Hin, and convinced him to side with you.” Choi Ji Mong stammered.

Anger and worry filled him as he stood up and pulled Ji Mong to his feet by his collar, “I told you to keep her safe and protect her! Do you know how dangerous that is! What if my brother had caught her?!” The 4th Prince yelled. He could not believe Hae Soo had risked her life like this, just for him. She should have known better, he thought she knew better. He had told her to just stay put at Damiwon.

“She asked the 13th Prince for help and met with her cousin, I had no clue about anything until the next day morning when the 13th Prince visited me.” Ji Mong choked out.

So let go of Ji Mong and sat down with a sigh. The Hae clan supporting his bid for the throne changes everything, he knew that. The Shin clan and the Kang clan’s power had decreased during King Jeonjong’s reign, as the Yoo clan was in power. But even the Yoo clan was indebted to the Hae clan. But if there was one thing the Hae clan was known for, it was their power hungriness. He doubted they’d just willingly agree to support him without anything in return.

“What did they ask for?” He asked the astrologer, Lord Park leaned in, curious as to what the Haes wanted.

“Nothing you won’t be willing to give, Your highness. Lord Hae Jeon Hin accepted Lady Soo’s offer because she told him that you intend on making her your first queen.” Choi Ji Mong smiled at the Prince, who looked stunned at what he said.

Wang So did not expect Hae Soo to play with the Haes like this, Of course, he was going to marry Soo after he became king, he expected opposition from a couple of court officials but he figured he would be able to handle it. But this….if what Ji Mong said was true then the Hae clan would be the strongest supporters of him being king and he would not even have to do anything drastic, just marry the woman he loved. He could freely marry Soo and simultaneously gain the support of one of the strongest clans in Goryeo.

With a wide grin, he asked, “I assume that the Haes will be adopting Soo back into their clan.” Ji Mong nodded.

Grand General Park turned to look at the 4th Prince, “This changes everything, Your Highness.” He said,

“I know. Ji Mong, tell the men to prepare for Lord Hae Myeong’s arrival.” He ordered.

 


 

2 days later

Lord Hae Myeong and Lord Hae Jeon Hin were surprised to see the warm welcome that they had received at Seokyong by the 4th Prince. Despite everything that Hae Soo had informed them about, they could not help but feel wary. This was the 4th Prince they were speaking about after all.

Both the Hae lords were escorted to the second-largest tent that had been set up in the area and entered to see 4th Prince Wang So and Grand General Park Soo Kyung engaging in a conversation. The 4th Prince turned to look at them entering the tent, he beckoned them to enter.

“Your Highness,” both the Hae lords bowed to the 4th Prince.

“Rise and have a seat.” He said, pointing towards the two empty seats in front of him, the lords looked at each other and nervously sat down.

“Hae Soo told me about her meeting with Lord Hae Jeon Hin, I assume you’re here to discuss more on that?” He raised an eyebrow at the Head of the Hae clan, who had finally composed himself and nodded.

“The Hae clan will fully support you in your bid for the throne, we will supply you with soldiers and march alongside you when you march on the palace.”

“However?” So asked, wanting to know what they wanted.

“The Hae clan proposes marriage, Your Highness. We want a Hae-“Lord Myeong was cut off by the 4th Prince.

“I intend on marrying Lady Hae Soo after my coronation, she is the woman I love. If you want a Hae Queen, then you must adopt her back into your clan.” He said without blinking, staring down the lords in front of him.

Lord Hae Myeong smiled and bowed in front of the king-to-be, “That is what we intend on doing, I will send the declaration of adoption to be read out in court through my younger brother, Lord Hae Jeon Hin.”

4th Prince Wang So nodded, pleased with what he heard, “Now that, that has been decided, we have a lot left to discuss.”

“We heard about King Jeonjong’s health from Lady Hae.” Lord Hae Myeong,

“I stand for the Hae clan in court and even I did not know.” Lord Hae Jeon Hin added.

“It is to be expected, of course, Queen Mother Sinmyeongsunseong made sure the news does not leave the palace.” Wang So said.

“Speaking of the Queen Mother, we worried about how the Yoo clan does not support you, considering they are your mother’s clan.” The elder Hae lord said, testing the king-to-be.

The Grand General moved to speak but was stopped by the raise of the 4th Prince’s hand. So chuckled, looked at the Hae lord, and said, “It seems you have forgotten that I was adopted by the Shinju Kang clan when I was 4. I have no relation or connection to the Yoo clan, I am a Kang. My mother is Concubine Shinjuwon and she will be Queen Mother when I take the throne, not Queen Sinmyeongsunseong.”

The Hae lords looked visibly surprised at the Prince’s words but their surprise could not match the General’s. Park Soo Kyung looked at his king, sadness in his eyes as he remembered the young lad he taught the martial arts, who was always so happy to even hear the littlest thing about his mother, the mother who had abandoned him, the mother who scarred him.

Ignoring the look on the Grand General’s face, Wang So began discussing the attack planned on the palace.

 


 

3 days later

Hae Soo was minding her duties in the Damiwon when Princess Yeon Hwa along with a couple of royal guards entered, the princess had a sarcastic smile on her face as she looked at her. Hae Soo bowed and greeted the princess, “Greetings, Your Highness, what brings you here to Damiwon with soldiers? The Damiwon is not the place for soldiers.”

The Hwangbo Princess smirked, “You have been summoned by the king, it seems the Hae clan has come asking for you. I was truly surprised when they disinherited you, the Hae clan does not have many daughters after all. Perhaps, they have found you a match.”

A true smile appeared on Soo’s face at that, ‘It seems they have spoken to the 4th Prince then’ she looked up at the Princess’ face and smiled brightly, “Thank you for informing me, Your Highness. I was expecting them.”

The victorious smirk turned into a confused frown as Court Lady Hae followed the royal guards out of the Damiwon and to the courtroom. She entered the courtroom and noticed her cousin-brother, Lord Hae Jeon Hin from the corner of her eye. Going forward, she went on her knees and bowed to the king and waited for his command trying to ignore the ache in her knees.

“Rise Court Lady Hae Soo.” The King said, and Hae Soo rose to her feet, she turned to her cousin and bowed, “Orabeoni” he acknowledged her with a nod.

“It seems the Hae clan wishes to adopt you back, Court lady Hae. I must admit I was expecting this, is the lady going to be married off?” The King asked the second son of Hong Ha Jin Hae, “Yes pyeha,” The lord honestly replied.

King Jeonjong’s smirked at this, “I must inform my 4th brother then, he will be very surprised to hear that Lady Hae Soo is getting married.”

Understanding that the king intended to hurt her and the 4th Prince using this piece of information, Soo willed tears to her eyes and pretended to wipe a tear away, the king’s smirk only widened at this.

“I am honored that my clan wishes to adopt me back, I hope I do not fail you again.” She said and bowed. Lord Hae Jeon Hin was impressed by his cousin-sister. He had his worries that she would not make a proper queen and would embarrass their clan, but this clearly was not the case.

The King straightened up and read out loud, “I, 3rd King of Goryeo, King Jeonjong, hereby recognize this decree of adoption by the Hae clan.”

“Thank you, my king, your benevolence knows no bounds.” Lord Hae said and bowed.

Wang Yo flicked his wrist, “You are all dismissed.” Lady Hae walked out alongside her cousin.

“In one week” he whispered in her ear secretly before leaving. She wondered what he meant by that, ‘One week? What was happening in one week- oh’ realization dawned upon her, So was attacking the palace in one week’s time.

 


 

2 days before the attack

Hae Soo was sure that when So became king, he would set at least 10 guards around her, with the way she has been sneaking out of the palace. She really missed him and wanted to see him, and she heard from Ji Mong that the 4th Prince was really stressed with the preparations going on for the attack. So when the 13th Prince told her that he was leaving the palace under the guise of roaming around Songak for a couple of days, to help the 4th Prince as a member of the Gyeongju Kim clan and as his loyal brother, Soo could not help but take the chance. She realized that there might be many lords who were supporting the 4th Prince, so she made sure to pack her more regal looking violet and gold hanbok and forced the 13th Prince to stop at a tavern, so she could change.

“Yah, you’re taking too much of my time. I am already scared to meet hyungnim, he is going to kill me, do you know that? I have helped you leave the palace three times now!” He pouted at Soo, who laughed at his expression.

“I’m sorry Baek ah-nim, for getting you in trouble with your brother. I’ll repay you next time, okay?” she looked up at the 13th Prince, who smiled at her and said, “okay!”

 The Prince draped a black cape around her shoulders, the 4th Prince’s black cape, she recognized. “This is to make sure no one will recognize you; you look too much like an aristocrat.” Baek ah said, referring to hanbok and the gold jewelry in her hair.

“You look too much like a noble too,” Soo pointed out, looking at his light blue hanbok and the ornament in his hair.

“But all the commoners know me well, Soo-ya, I’m almost always in the streets of Songak.” The 13th Prince said.

“Aish, fine, fine” she groaned as she wore the cloak, which was too long for her, obviously it was too big, it was the 4th Prince’s.

“Hyungnim has sent camp in a forest outside Songak, King Jeonjong has all the soldiers guarding the King’s Quarters these days, so no one is really there. It’ll be easy to move from there and into the palace.” Baek ah informed Hae Soo as they both walked towards the outskirts of the capital. Hae Soo had to stop a couple of times and rub her knees, even though it had been years since the incident, her knees had never healed.

After a while, the prince and the noble lady finally reached the camp, Soo could see a lot of movement, despite it being night. They were stopped from moving further by Kang clan soldiers, judging by their red and black uniform.

“13th Prince Anjong.” The guards greeted the prince and turned to look at her, wondering who the 13th Prince had brought, “She’s someone the 4th Prince wants to see, she’s his guest.” Baek ah informed the guards. Knowing how close the 4th and 13th Prince were and seeing how she looked like an aristocrat, they let her pass.

She removed the cape around her shoulders and kept in her hands. Soldiers stared at as she walked through the camp, it was obvious that she was nobility, the silk of her hanbok and jeogri, her earrings, and the golden hairpins, it all gave it away.

Choi Ji Mong approached them and smiled, “The 4th Prince is currently having a discussion with Lords Hae Myeong, Hae Jeon Hin and Shin Moe Ri alongside Grand General Park. You both should go announce yourselves.”

Hae Soo could not control her excitement, it had been 2 weeks since she had last seen him, she hoped his right arm had healed by now, he could not even pick the chopsticks up the last time she had seen him.

Baek ah entered the tent and Hae Soo nervously followed behind him. The lords were sitting in front of a table, at the head of which sat the 4th Prince.

“Greetings to the 4th Prince.” Soo and Baek ah said as they bowed.

“Soo-ya….what are you doing here?” the 4th Prince asked as he got up, the lords immediately got up as well, realizing that he could not hug her in the presence of everyone, he forced himself to not move and only talk. He glared at the 13th Prince, “What is this I have been hearing of you constantly sneaking Hae Soo out of the palace? Did I not entrust you with her safety?” he angrily asked,

“It’s not his fault, Your Highness. I forced him to help me out.” Soo sheepishly said, So sighed at what she told and said, “I do not want you sneaking out of the palace after this, did you understand?”

“I doubt I’ll have a reason to sneak out of the palace after this, Your Highness.” Hae Soo smiled at her 4th Prince, who chuckled at what she said.

Lord Hae Myeong and Lord Hae Jeon Hin silently looked at each other in surprise. When the 4th Prince said he loved their cousin, they did not believe he actually meant it, but looking at his concern towards the girl, it had to be true.

“All of you may leave, for now, I will talk to you tomorrow morning.” The 4th Prince said and the lords got up and left along with the 13th Prince. Hae Soo stood where she was, taking in the 4th Prince’s presence. Once he was sure that they had left, he rushed and took Hae Soo in his arms.

“I missed you so much, Soo-ya. I do not know how I managed to be away from you for three years.” He whispered as he hugged her tightly,

“Must you remind me of those dreadful three years.” She pouted at the 4th Prince, who could not control his smile at seeing her.

“I missed you too, So-ya,” she whispered, before kissing his cheek and sweetly smiling at him. So caressed her face before slowly leaning in towards her for a kiss, Soo let her eyes close as she felt his lips descend on hers. She had missed him so very much, it pleased her to hold him in her arms once more.

Outside the tent stood a shocked Lord Hae Myeong, He most certainly did not expect the 4th Prince and his cousin to be this close. He had come to mention something to the prince and had instead found the lovers locked in an embrace. As he walked away from the tent, a smile grew on his face. It was clear as to how much of a hold the lady had on the prince. She would ensure that the Hae clan’s power will not diminish.

Notes:

When I was writing about Soo's dress in the latter part of the chapter, I was trying to describe her hanbok and hair from the scene where Queen Yoo died.

Chapter 4: IV. Lady Soo and her Prince So

Summary:

So and Soo reunite, Baek ah is fed up.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Chapter Four

 

“Your Highness, I should return to the tent set for me, I have spent too much time here,” Soo said and made her way to get up and leave when the 4th Prince’s hand grasped her wrist, pulling her back into his lap. He placed his chin on her neck and whispered, “Did you think I’d let you leave that easily?” his voice sent shivers through her body as he pushed her to him, holding her as close as he could.

“Your Highness…” She whined and the Prince chuckled, “Besides, it is not practical to let you leave at this time in the night, especially when you look like this.” And as much as she did not like to admit it, she knew what he said was true. With her hair mussed up, swollen lips, jeogri opened, crumpled hanbok thrown somewhere and dark red bruises all over her chest and neck, it was completely obvious as to what she and her prince had been up to in his tent.

Hae Soo glared at So, “This is all your fault, you did this on purpose, didn’t you?” She accused him, the man in question simply grinned back, “It had been over two weeks since I met you, forgive me for getting a bit….carried away. Besides, you did not exactly protest, now did you?” he cheekily asked.

Hae Soo pretended to glare at the 4th Prince who laughed in response and pinched her cheek, “You are so cute.” He chuckled as his lips descended on hers, Soo closed her eyes and enjoyed the sensation of their lips moving together in sync, ‘I could do this for the rest of my life’ she thought as she parted away.

So pushed her away from his lap to the bed and climbed on top of her, staring at her like a predator would at it’s prey.

‘My prince will never be satisfied’ she thought as he leaned forward to kiss her, Soo immediately put a stop to that by covering her mouth. Prince So frowned at what she did.

“We need to talk.” She said as she got up from the bed and gently pushed her lover away. He looked confused for a minute but then chose not to say anything and picked up his black hanbok that he had thrown somewhere in their earlier urgency of getting to the bed. He returned to the bed and draped the hanbok over Hae Soo and sat down, glaring at her as he spoke, “Indeed we do, how could you sneak out of the palace to meet members of the Hae Clan without any protection? Do you not know how reckless your decision was? And as much as I love meeting you tonight, you realize how risky it is, what if Yo-hyungnim had seen you?”

 Soo had the decency to look embarrassed as she spoke, “I only wanted to help you.” The 4th Prince sighed and kissed her forehead, “You can help me by staying put in the Damiwon, Soo-ya.”

Hae Soo looked troubled when she said, “Princess Yeon Hwa wishes to marry you.” So looked at her confused, “How do you kn- so what if she wishes to marry me, you will be the only one I will marry.” Wang So said, smiling at the love of his life.

‘How can one be so dense?’ she thought as she flicked his head, “You fool! Do you think a king can marry a mere court lady when there’s a princess there?!” she scolded him as Wang So rubbed his head.

“Yeon Hwa has always wanted two things, power and the 4th Prince. If you become king, doesn’t she get both those things?! Since Wook won’t be in a position of power anymore, they’d push for a Hwangbo Queen instead of a King. You would be forced to marry her because the Yoo clan will not support you either. You would only have the Pyeongsan Parks, Shinju Kangs and Gyeongju Kims. All those clans have weakened under the reign of King Jeonjong. Without the support of a powerful clan like Hoengseong Hae clan, do you think you will be able to avoid marriage with Hwangbo Yeon Hwa?” Soo questioned her lover, who looked awed at what she had said.

“I understand but….since when were you so politically astute?!” The 4th Prince exclaimed. Hae Soo always wanted to leave the palace, so he never assumed that she would know anything about palace politics.

“I have served 3 kings for over 7 years in the palace, amidst all the political intrigue, it would be strange if I did not understand how the struggle for power amidst clans works,” Soo replied, smiling at her prince.

“You sounded like a queen.” Wang So said proudly as pride shone in his eyes, he pulled her into a tight hug, “My precious, smart, clever queen.” Prince So whispered as he held her close to him, Soo returned his embrace, all thoughts of foul Hwangbo Princesses gone from her mind.

 


 

It was really embarrassing to walk out of the tent the next day morning. The 4th Prince did not mind at all, she remembers what he had said when she complained about the embarrassment she felt,

So brightly grinned as he said, “You did not feel embarrassed last night at all, so you need not feel it today.”

She still did not know if he meant to tease her or encourage her. At least Lord Hae Jeon Hin arrival early in the morning with two ladies in waiting and multiple set of new clothes had saved her from the awkwardness of wearing her crumpled hanbok and jeogri.

“Why have you brought more than one set of hanboks for the lady?” So asked the lord when he arrived at the entrance of the 4th Prince’s tent. Soo herself could not exactly receive the Hae lord so Prince So did it instead.

“Our clan is compensating, Your Highness. We let one of our own suffer without our support for many years. We wish to right our wrongs.” The Lord said as he bowed to the 4th Prince.

So frowned, he knew how much Soo had suffered in her years in the palace. Her clan providing her clothes and attendants as compensation was the least, they could do.

The 4th Prince nodded, “I understand your sentiment, however, I will provide for the rest of Lady Soo’s wardrobe, she is to be my wife after all.” The lord looked up in surprise before bowing low, Hae Jeon Hin looked as though he was controlling a smile. Resisting the urge to say something inappropriate to the lord, So let the two attendants enter his tents, where Soo was still sleeping, tired from all the activity of the previous night.

She currently sat to the left of the 4th Prince, on his right was 13th Prince Anjong. Lord Shin, Lord Kang, General Park and both the Hae lords sat in front of them. “Lady Hae Soo will have to return to the palace.” General Park said and Lord Kang nodded, the Hae lords frowned at what they heard.

“She is still a Damiwon Court Lady, her place is still in the palace.” Lord Kang added. Prince So looked upset and went to speak but before he could say anything, Lady Hae placed her hand above the Prince’s. Wang So turned to look at her, confused as to why she was stopping him. Hae Soo softly smiled at her prince before turning back to the lords in the tent and said, “I understand, it will look bad if I enter the palace with the 4th Prince. I will return to the palace.”

“Soo-ya….” “I will wait for you there my prince.” Hae Soo said and bowed her head.

The lords in front of them had their eyes wide open.  They could not believe the sight in front of them. Lord Shin and Lord Kang sent envious looks to Lord Hae and his brother, who had slight smirks on their faces. ‘Hae Clan is going to benefit greatly during the 4th Prince’s reign’ all the lords present thought. The 13th Prince wanted to bang his head somewhere. ‘These both need to stop trying giving heart palpitations to the nobles’

“It is settled then. I will take the lady back to the palace.” The 13th Prince broke the silence in the tent, resisting the urge to hurt his elder brother and best friend. The 4th Prince nodded slightly, hesitant to let go of his Soo again.

“Your Highness, if I may ask, who will be made Queen Mother after your accession to the throne?” Lord Kang asked the 4th Prince, who looked steely at him and replied, “I hope you have not forgotten that I was adopted out to the Shinju Kang clan when I was 4. As such, Royal Concubine Lady Shinjuwon will be made Queen Mother.”

The head of the Shinju Kang clan looked proud as he bowed in gratitude.

“We have matters of the attack tomorrow to discuss, Your Highness.” Grand General Park said, looking at Lady Hae Soo.

The 4th Prince raised an eyebrow before saying, “I do not see the need for Lady Hae Soo to leave. She is my equal. I would prefer it if she stayed and listened.” Soo resisted the urge to smile, the years of being a court lady at the Damiwon had helped her to hide her emotions from everyone else. Lord Kang and Lord Shin looked surprised while the Grand General sighed.

Hae Soo remembered what had happened the previous night.

“We’re going to get married!” The 4th Prince exclaimed, happiness clearly evident on his face. Soo sighed loudly, “I have to marry a man who did not even propose or ask me for my hand. How pitiful.”

“You want a proposal?” Wang So asked, looking at Hae Soo who smiled and nodded. So chuckled and said, “Dealing with you is far harder than dealing with all these lords. Fine, I will propose properly for my queen.”

Soo hit him on the shoulder at that, “You haven’t even attacked the palace, let alone become king, yet you call me queen.”

So looked serious as he told, “You are my queen, even if I do not become king. You will always be my queen.” He hugged her tightly and Soo felt as though she was in heaven.

“If I ask you one thing, will you allow me?” Soo asked slightly nervous.

“What is it Soo-ya?” So asked his love, still not letting go of her.

“I wish to be your equal. Every decision you make, all what’s happening in court, I want you to tell me about it too, I want to be by your side as your queen not as some show piece.” She seriously said, So pulled back and looked at her fondly as he caressed her face, “You are my equal Soo-ya, if I am King then you are Queen, not just Queen Consort, but Queen of Goryeo.” He said, smiling at her. She could sense that So was proud of what she had asked him. She tightly hugged him and whispered, “Thank you, So-ya.”

Hae Soo smiled at everyone and said in accordance with the 4th Prince, “I wish to stay and understand the plans being drawn for tomorrow.”

Hesitantly, The Grand General and the other lords began discussions for the battle plans, constantly glancing at the Lady amidst them, who gave her input and suggestions to the plans being made and listened intently.

 


 

“I do not wish for you to go.” The 4th Prince all but whined as he held onto her. The 13th Prince alongside the 4th Prince and herself stood near the borders of the camp. The 13th Prince was supposed to escort her back to the palace and then return back to camp to prepare for the revolt tomorrow.

“You are going to see her tomorrow hyungnim, it is just one day.” Baek ah deadpanned, glaring at his favorite brother. So sighed and let Hae Soo go, “I will see you tomorrow. Take care of yourself and try to stay out of trouble.” He said as he kissed her forehead. Hae Soo closed her eyes and enjoyed the moment. Distinctly she could hear the 13th Prince say something along the lines of “I’m still here”. Understanding her close friend’s awkwardness and the need to return to the palace as soon as possible, Hae Soo bowed to the 4th Prince and left, but not before waving him goodbye. Prince So laughed as he waved back.

“You guys really need to reduce the affection when in public. It isn’t orderly.” Baek ah admonished when both of them were making their way back to the palace. Hae Soo could not help but laugh as she said, “See, us being publicly affectionate has many advantages. All the lords present now know that the 4th Prince has a Queen and her clan directly supporting him. The Hae clan will also feel a sense of power that the King adores their Queen a lot. All other clans will also hesitate to plan any revolt or rebellion because of the strong relationship between the powerful Hae, Wang and Kang clans.”

The 13th Prince looked stunned at what he heard as he admitted in a defeated tone, “Fine, You win.” Hae Soo giggled at his reaction and walked forward, careful not to get any dirt on her brand-new teal and gold-colored hanbok.

“Are you nervous?” Baek ah asked after a long silence. Soo turned to look at the prince, “Truth be told, I still am very nervous with all of this. I never wanted to be queen, I do not wish to stay in the palace, I do not how to be a queen or what duties come with the position. But I cannot abandon him, especially not now when he needs me.” She admitted, the 13th Prince motioned for her to continue.

“He is the reason why I am still alive. Everything I do, I do it for us, so that we can stay together. Being his wife is all I want.” She sighed.

“Do not worry Soo-ya, once hyungnim becomes king, everything will fall into place.” Baek ah reassured her. Soo nervously smiled at the Prince, “I hope so.” She said.

Notes:

This chapter is a bit small in comparison with my other works, but I promise I'll make sure the next chapter is longer!

Chapter 5: V. Transition of Power

Summary:

Soo plots with Jung and then watches Yo die

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Chapter Five

 

Hae Soo had returned to the Damiwon and had changed into her far more comfortable court lady uniform and had gone about her duties, making sure everything was going in an orderly manner. It was sometime later that the 14th Prince had come to see her.

“Soo-ya, will you have lunch with me?” Jung asked, smiling brightly at her, even if she tried, she could not ignore that adorable smile plastered on the 14th Prince’s face. She found herself agreeing to the 14th Prince’s request as they both walked towards one of the tearooms in the Damiwon after telling a court lady to bring their lunch to the tearoom.

Hae Soo looked nervous as she said, “I have a lot to discuss with you, Jung-nim.” The man looked confused as they both sat in front of each other, waiting for their meal to be sent to them. Before she could continue, court ladies knocked on the door and entered, holding platters with their lunch. Hae Soo warmly smiled at the women and whispered, “Thank you.” To the court ladies who were scattered around her and the 14th Prince. They all bowed in front of the prince and smiled warmly at their Head Court Lady before leaving.

Once they were gone, General Wang Jung looked at the woman he loved and asked, “What is it that you wish to discuss with me Soo-ya?” he asked, curious as to what the woman had to say.

“King Jeonjong’s successor.” She breathed out and Jung looked at her in shock, he never thought Soo would be a person who would discuss politics. Jung sighed before wearily replying, “I know he does not have much time left. Eomoni is forcing him to declare me as heir, but I do not want it. I do not wish to be King.”

Soo expected as much, she took the 14th Prince’s hand in her own and tightly squeezed it, assuring him that she would always be there for him, as his loyal friend. He looked up at her and whispered, “Wang So wants to be king, doesn’t he?” she slowly nodded, confirming his suspicions.

“Why does he wish to be king?” He asked. Soo squeezed his hand again and told him, “He wants to end this fight between you brothers. He said he cannot stand this whole brother killing brother thing that’s been occurring.”

Wang Jung remembered going to Queen Yoo’s chambers to inform her of Yo-hyungnim’s death after the fight at the cliff when he saw Wang So breakdown in Hae Soo’s arms as she consoled him. He remembered noticing how broken he looked. He remembered the glares filled with fury that he sent at Yo-hyungnim after King Hyejong’s death. He remembered how for a moment; his elder brother had gone insane as the grief of being forced to kill his beloved younger brother with his own hands had consumed him. Jung knew he should not have blamed the 4th Prince for Eun-hyungnim’s death, but he needed to blame someone and Wang So had been an easy scapegoat.

“He’s honest and true in his intentions, Jung-nim.” Hae Soo told him. He knew Hae Soo would not lie to him. She would not justify someone’s ill doings. He saw the way Hae Soo pushed Wook hyungnim away after he went against the Crown Prince after King Taejo’s death, even though he had truly been on the Crown Prince’s side, he had heard the rumors of how the 4th Prince had only parried the 8th Prince’s strikes, as though he never meant to harm his younger brother, but the 8th Prince’s strikes were meant to kill.

“You’re asking me to support him and his claim?” Jung asked Court Lady Hae, who nodded at what he had asked her. “It is his destiny to sit on the throne, he has the star of a king.”

Jung sighed before saying, “The Yoo clan stands behind me. You want The Chungju Yoo clan and I to support his claim.” It was not a question but a statement. Jung looked up at Soo who nervously smiled at him. He sighed, “I will support the 4th Prince if King Jeonjong declares him to be his heir.”

“Thank you Jung-nim.” She brightly smiled at him before adding, “You should call him hyungnim like you do with your other brothers. He is your full brother after all. Believe me when I say if you give him the chance, he will cherish you like he does Baek ah.” Jung looked uneasy at that, but looking ar Soo’s earnest expression, he hesitantly nodded.  

Smiling brightly, she motioned for him to start eating, and both the childhood friends began eating lunch, cracking jokes, and telling each other stories of what had happened in the 2 year period they had not met in. Their laughter echoed through the halls of the Damiwon.

 


 

"Lady Soo." One of the eunuchs that attended to King Jeonjong said as he bowed to the Court Lady. “I hoped I would find you here.” He said as he sighed, “The King is on the verge of passing on from this life, Court Lady Hae. We could not find Queen Mother Sinmyeongsunseong or 14th Prince Wang Jung. It would not be appropriate to call Princess Hwangbo Yeon Hwa or Dowager Queen Sinjeong. It would be preferable if you could come to attend the king in his last moments instead.”

The eunuch was referring to how she was the highest-ranked woman in the palace after all the royal women now that she was a noble and how she had grown up amongst the princes. She nodded and took a tray and placed mint tea on it before following the Head Eunuch out of the Damiwon and towards Cheondeokjeon. She was extremely nervous, knowing how the 4th Prince would attack the palace anytime now. She sent a silent prayer for So’s safety as she reached the entrance to the king’s chamber.

The King looked pale, she had never seen him looking this pale, this weak. In her mind, Wang Yo was always the cruel tyrant who used people’s weaknesses against them. Seeing the mad gleam in his eyes made her fearful for her life as she placed the tray with the teapot and cups on the table in front of him. Slowly, she poured the tea into the cup, but with her hands shaking continuously from the nervousness of the 4th Prince’s attack and the fear for all their lives at the hands of King Jeonjong, tea spilled all around the teacup.

Wang Yo scrutinized the woman in front of him as she brought the tea filled cup near him. Instead of accepting the tea, he knocked the cup off her hands. Soo stared at him shock, not understanding why he did that.

“You…what are you hiding from me? Have you poisoned the tea or something?” 3rd King Wang Yo wasn’t a fool. The man had spent all his life detecting weaknesses in people. Of course, he noticed her fear and nervousness immediately.

“No Pyeha. The court lady has already had a sip and tested it” She immediately said, bowing to the king in fear.

The King coughed, “Now that I am in this state and have given it some thought, it all started with you.” He glared at her and Hae Soo could only look up in confusion, “Pa..pardon me?”

“Mu, Eun, Eun’s wife. Even King Taejo. All those dead people are bothering me, and it is all your fault.” The King looked wild and deranged, and she could only hope he would not do anything to her to release his frustration.

 “I made the decision to kill my brothers and become king. All because you helped So cover up his scar and take my seat. Because he took what was mine….” He said, madness in his eyes. Hae Soo stared at him, the fear she felt clearly displayed on her face.

Suddenly, sounds of ongoing battle erupted around Cheondeokjeon, the king turned around wildly as the noise of swords hitting one and another increased. “PYEHA! Yo-ya!” The voice of the Queen Mother joined in as the woman entered the king’s chambers just as Soo slowly tried to leave.

‘I hope you enter the palace fast, So-ya’ she prayed as she watched the Queen Mother convince the king to abdicate to the 14th Prince.

“So, So is coming to the palace. Wang So has raised a revolt!” The Queen cried out, King Jeonjong froze, unable to process what the Queen Mother had told him. The Dowager Queen moved to get parchment and a brush dipped in ink and handed it over to her second son, “Yo-ya, write down that you will be abdicating the throne to Jung.” She coaxed her son.

‘That cannot happen’ Soo thought. The King had to abdicate to So, not to Jung. While she was physically frozen, her mind ran over hundreds of different ways in which she could get the king to abdicate to So rather than Jung.

“Hurry now.” The Queen Mother said as she placed the brush in her son’s hands, “What…” The King stared at his mother. “We cannot lose the throne. Hurry! Write down that Jung is to be the new king. Then we can plan for the future. Go on.” She tried to convince her son, but Wang Yo, even on his deathbed, was not a fool.

Wang Yo stared at his mother, with betrayal plastered on his face as he choked out with tears in his eyes, “Then…what about me? Am I even your son? What am I to you, eomoni?” The Queen Mother did not have any reply to her son’s questions as he controlled the tears in his eyes, “Am I just something that exists to sit on the throne? Do you no longer have any need for a son who isn’t the king anymore?” he screamed out as he forcefully removed his hand from his mother’s grasp.

“Yo-ya, don’t be this way. We will lose everything if you do this. Hand it over to Jung, please.” The Dowager Queen panicked about the hold of the Yoo clan on the throne rather than the state of her eldest living son. The 14th Prince was not made for ruling, this Hae Soo knew and she was sure that Queen Yoo knew it as well. She could not understand how the royal woman continued to push for her fourth son to become king despite very well knowing that he would never be able to handle Goryeo and that court politics will destroy him.

King Jeonjong coughed as he composed himself and calmly said, “Now I think I understand So. I can relate to how he feels.” He turned to look at the Queen Mother before loudly announcing, “I will abdicate my throne to 4th Prince Wang So!” Soo stared at him in shock as he called the guards, “Take the Queen Mother out of here!”

The woman in question stared at her son in horror as the royal guards stationed outside the king’s chambers entered, “Yo-ya, do not do this, Yo-ya, Yo-ya!” she called out her son’s name desperately as the guards held her by her arms and removed her out of the chamber. She thrashed around, trying to stop them as she shrieked, “Let go of me! Let go of me, at once! Let me go!” The King glared at the retreating back of his mother.

Hae Soo was sure that the guards had heard the king proclaim Wang So as his heir, fearing for her safety, she turned around to leave the king’s chambers when she heard the sound of a teacup breaking near her. She froze and turned around, her body shaking in fear, and her eyes filled with anxiety as the king neared her.

The King began to crazily laugh as he got up from his bed and moved towards her, Soo was frozen in fear. “I knew that he would end up getting everything.” Yo laughed hysterically as he turned to look at her seriously, “What did I do so wrong? I was afraid that I would be thrown away as well. Just like So was. I thought I would be cast off as well.” He said with tears in his eyes as he fell to the ground, clutching at his chest, right above his heart. ‘He’s getting a heart attack due to emotional stress’ Soo realized as she watched the king fall to his feet.

He looked up at her from the ground and choked out, “Eomoni said to me that I was complete and not lacking in anything, yet….” He glared at her, his eyes filled with rage as his voice echoed in the room, “It is all because of you. Because you got involved, you wench!” He screamed as he pushed her to the ground. She could only stay there frozen as the king continued to talk, “You should choose.” He said as he made his way to the piece of parchment and the brush with ink. He began coughing continuously as Hae Soo clutched her heart and stared at the king in fear, praying he would not hurt her.

“Who should I give the throne to? Choose. Wook? Baek ah? So? You’re so great why don’t you choose?!” He hysterically asked as he wrote his last decree.

“Find the King now!” a voice was heard saying as men, who Soo assumed were soldiers entered Cheondeokjeon in search of the king.

She knew the king would not make it, he was going to die any moment now, “So” she whispered, the king’s wild eyes reverted from the door and back to her as she said a bit louder, “Wang So”

“Is it him? He will be king after me then.” King Jeonjong choked out as he scribbled his younger brother’s name on his decree. He held the parchment out to Soo who only crawled away, shivering in fear as the king clutched his heart and fell to his feet, his last breath leaving his body.

 


 

Dowager Queen Sinjeong paced in her chambers as her daughter rushed in, “I cannot reach Wook-orabeoni yet. The palace men will not last long. Grand General Park alongside the Hae Clan is with So-orabeoni.” She informed her mother, worrying for her brother. The Dowager Queen looked calculative as she looked at her daughter.

“Eomoni…?” Princess Yeon Hwa stopped as she noticed her mother was not paying heed to her words but was in a world of her own. She gravely told her daughter, “Depending on what you decide, I will go along with you. I knew after I saw your brother, what I forgot to teach you. If you want to own the palace, you must sacrifice something.”

Princess Hwangbo Yeon Hwa could only stare at her mother in shock as she understood what her mother was getting to. “You must decide now. You can have the entire world and lose love or you can have love and live in a very small world.”

A smile erupted on the Princess’ face as she asked her mother, “What if I were to want the whole world?”

Dowager Queen Sinjeong slowly replied, “Then I….will throw Wook away.”

Both the royal women stared at each other before Princess Yeon Hwa bowed and rushed out of the chamber and towards the main gate to the palace, taking a dozen royal guards with her.

 


 

"I have come to attack the palace that I have always protected," Grand General Park said as he stood in front of the king's courtyard alongside the 4th Prince, 13th Prince and Lord Hae and Lord Kang, all of them wearing battle armor. The palace gates were closed as they had expected but when Wang So raised his sword and as the soldiers behind him roared a battle cry, the gates had opened and Princess Hwangbo Yeon Hwa came out with soldiers behind her.

So raised an eyebrow in confusion as to why the princess had opened the gates and arrived. Yeon Hwa bowed in front of him along with the soldiers.

“I will help you enter the palace without any bloodshed, So-orabeoni.” She said, smiling at him. He was reminded of what Hae Soo had told him before, ‘Yeon Hwa has always wanted two things, power and the 4th Prince. If you become king, doesn’t she get both those things?! Her clan will push for a Hwangbo Queen instead of a King’ Despite what Hae Soo had told him, he was still surprised how Yeon Hwa willingly threw her brother away to allow him to enter the palace.

“I will not forget your loyalty.” So promised his sister as he made way to enter the palace.

 


 

Soo backed away from the late king’s body, whimpering and choking back tears. She tried to breathe as she clutched on to her chest, where her heart was rapidly beating, Soo felt as though she could not breathe anymore. She tried to close her eyes and compose herself, still reeling from what all she had witnessed. ‘I was only trying to survive’ King Jeonjong had said, and she could not help but sympathize with him, because is that not what she was doing as well. Everyone around her, all they were trying to do is survive, it is not a crime to want to live after all. She found it pitiful how he had died, forsaken by his mother. Despite how he had been a ruthless tyrant, no one deserved to die like that, all alone.

She heard the sound of doors being thrown open and someone marching in, she opened her eyes as she saw her 4th Prince enter the King’s chambers. He froze mid-way as he saw his elder brother on the ground and a frightened beyond life Soo near him. He had told her to keep herself out of harm’s way, yet here she was.

Soo finally felt as though she could breathe properly, now that she saw the 4th Prince, She closed her eyes again and breathed, still clutching on to her aching chest. Hae Soo could feel everything around her shake as she tried to compose herself. Meanwhile, So took the last decree of the king out of King Jeonjong’s hands and read it. He stared at the decree in shock as he read it once more. “Soo-ya, did you read it?” he asked, the woman in question shook her head in denial.

“Move! I told you to move!” The Dowager Queen’s voice was heard as she made her way through the guards, court ladies and eunuchs positioned outside the king’s chambers.

She stared at the late king’s body in shock as she whispered, “Yo-ya…” The Royal astrologer entered the chamber at the exact time. Seeing everyone frozen at seeing the dead body of the king, Soo went on her knees and prostrated herself in front of the 4th Prince, “Greetings to the new king. Long, long, long may he live.” She breathed out, trying to ignore the lightheadedness she felt.

“What do you mean by king? What do you mean by king?!” The Dowager Queen questioned as her eyes moved in between the court lady and the prince.

“The King gave me the throne before he passed away. He abdicated to me.” So said as he turned to look at his birth mother. He showed the decree he had in his hand. “He mentioned me as his heir in his last decree.” He said as the Dowager Queen stared at her third son in shock.

“Greetings to the new king!” Ji Mong said as he fell to his knees and the guards echoed his words as everyone except the 4th Prince and the Dowager Queen, bowed to the new king. The Dowager Queen muttered, “It cannot be….he could not have….”

“Long, long, long live the king!” echoed throughout the chamber as So stared at Soo, who finally succumbed to the darkness as the Queen Dowager left the king’s chambers.

“Soo-ya!” So yelled as he saw Soo faint. He turned to Ji Mong and said, “Ask the Royal Physician to come to one of the other chambers in Cheondeokjeon.” Ignoring everyone’s surprised looks, the 4th Prince carried his unconscious beloved in his arms and left the chamber. Choi Ji Mong nodded as he followed behind the 4th Prince.

Notes:

I didn't update much cause I was studying for my legal studies exam, so here you go! I hope you like this chapter

Chapter 6: VI. 4th King of Goryeo

Summary:

So and Soo properly reunite, the coronation of the 4th king of Goryeo takes place.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

Chapter Six

 

Hae Soo woke up in an unknown chamber, to the sounds of servants buzzing around her. She saw Chae Ryung enter the room, looking tired and dull. “Chae Ryung-ah” Soo hoarsely called out. Everyone around her froze as Chae Ryung rushed to her, worry all over her face.

“My lady, we all were so worried about you.” The court lady rushed out as she fretted over the noble lady after she instructed one of the court ladies to bring the king here.

“How long have I been unconscious?” Soo asked, confused about what was going around her.

“3 days, Lady Soo. The funeral for late King Jeonjong was held today, I heard that the coronation of the new king will be held tomorrow.” Chae Ryung informed her. Soo was shocked at what she learned; she could not believe that she had been sleeping for 3 days. As if timed, the 4th Prince burst into the room, looking extremely worried. All the servants bowed their heads as the member of the royal family made his way to Hae Soo.

“Soo-ya you scared me to death.” So breathed out as he pulled Soo into an embrace, ignoring the shocked court ladies. Of course they knew the 4th Prince loved the Damiwon Senior Court Lady but to see such a public display of their affections.

“I am alright now, Your Highness.” Soo bowed her head, noticing all the servants and Chae Ryung. Wang So frowned once he realized where her concerns laid. “All of you are dismissed.” Everyone quickly scurried out of the chambers.

Soo was too tired to lecture him so she softly smiled at him as she raised her hand and caressed his tensed face, “I really am fine So-nim, do not worry.” She whispered softly.

So looked pained when he said, “You are not fine Soo-ya.” Looking at the confusion in her face, he continued, “The Royal Physician said that you will not be able to walk one day because your knees have not healed properly after the torture. But that is not the main issue….”

Soo already knew that her knees were weak so she did expect something of this sort, so she remained unfazed, but it was the extreme concern and fear in his eyes that worried her, “What is it?”

“Your…heart…It is really weak. You have put a lot of stress on your heart, so it has become very weak, that…that weakness has affected your body as a whole. He said that…you will only have…10 years to live.” So had tears in his eyes as he pulled her to him, “You…you cannot leave me. I will not allow it. I am nothing without you Soo-ya…” he continuously repeated as he held her close to his own heart.

Hae Soo froze, she could not believe what she heard. ‘I want to be with him for longer’ she thought as she hugged him back equally tightly as she patted his back, “I will not leave you, I will stay beside you, I promise.” She comforted the distraught 4th Prince.

“I won’t let you leave me…” he murmured

After a while, once both of them had calmed down, Soo asked So tell her everything that happened during the past 3 days. “The Late King’s funeral is always held before the New King’s coronation. So we had King Jeonjong’s funeral today. I held it off as much as I could because I wanted you to be there for my coronation.” Wang So began, Soo interrupted him with a question, “What about the Queen? King Jeonjong had a wife, Queen Munseong.”

The 4th Prince informed, “She will be sent to a temple to become a priestess, many royal women are sent there. Queen Uihwa, Princess Gyeong Hwa, and Princess Jeong Heon are there too.” Soo frowned at what she had heard. “Just because their husbands are dead does not mean they should be stuck in a place like that.”

“It is how it’s always been. Dowager Queens are dangerous. Did you not see how much power my mother had in court?” Soo hesitantly nodded, still uneasy with the thought that those women had to be sent away just because who their husbands were.

“Could you bring back the Princess Gyeong Hwa and Jeong Heon?” Soo asked, So looked at her in surprise, he most certainly did not expect that. She understood the unspoken question in the 4th Prince’s eyes, “Princess Gyeong Hwa is only eleven years old and Princess Jeong Heon is only six years old. They do not have to spend their entire life wasting away in a place filled with old women. It is not right.”

Wang So sighed, he could not help but agree with her, it was not right that those innocent children had to suffer for the post their late father had held and lost. Not to mention, both the girls were So’s favorite nieces. “The return of Princess Jeong Heon is a matter that I will have to discuss with Queen Uihwa, or rather, you should speak about it to hyungsoo-nim once everything is settled in court. In regard to Princess Gyeong Hwa, I will allow her to return once we’ve had an heir, despite the Jincheon Im clan being weak, it would do well for us to take precautions.”

So noticed how she uncomfortable she was with the topic of children and told, “I want you to rest and not to strain your heart further. Lie down Soo-ya.” Hae Soo moved to protest, “I just woke up-“ He silenced her with one look, “My coronation is tomorrow and I want my future queen present there, completely healthy and rested.”

Soo gaped at him, “That’s against protocol! I am not a part of the royal family! I have no right to be there.” Wang So continued to glare at her, “You are to be my wife, of course, you are a part of the royal family Soo-ya.” He did not allow her to say anything with a stern look. “You are going to rest more.” The 4th Prince left no room for argument. Resigned, Soo laid down on the bed and slowly drifted to sleep. So softly smiled when he saw Soo rest again. He knew she needed the rest, especially considering how much she had suffered in the past three years. He ran his hand through her hair, untangling any knots, and placed a kiss on her forehead.

 


 

“What are you doing here?!” Princess Yeon Hwa questioned in a demeaning tone when she saw Hae Soo enter the courtroom. The newly restored Lady Hae looked stunning, every inch the future queen as she entered. It had been a good decision to wear red for the new king’s coronation, Soo knew. Red was the color worn by brides and she could see that even Yeon Hwa had subtly incorporated it in her outfit for the day. While the princess had added it slightly, Hae Soo had made no such reservations. She wore a red Chima and a red Jeogri on top of it, the sleeves were decorated with golden floral designs. On top of it, she wore a black sleeveless Po with golden floral designs and held it all together with a black and gold belt. While her hair was decorated with gold and red hairpins, she had also placed the white lotus hairpin that the 4th Prince had gifted her with years ago. The Dowager Queen stared at her in shock, understanding what Soo was trying to prove by her hanbok and her presence at the king’s coronation.

“Greetings Princess Yeon Hwa, Dowager Queen Sinjeong.” Soo slightly bowed. The Princess glared at her as the Dowager Queen reprimanded, “This is no place for you, Senior Court Lady Hae.” Lady Hae Soo smiled at the Hwangbo Queen as she said, “My clan supported the new king greatly, it is only right that my clan and I are present for the coronation, Dowager Queen.” Everyone knew how the Hae clan’s Lord Hae Myeong rode beside the 4th Prince when he entered the palace and how Hae clan’s soldiers stood behind the 4th Prince. It would do no one well to insult the powerful clan, especially the Hwangbos. It seemed the Dowager Queen understood that and silenced herself, but Princess Yeon Hwa had clearly not gotten the hint as she continued, “The Hae clan is a but a small, insignificant clan, who’s power has reduced greatly from what it was before. Your presence here in Songak is an insult for the Royal Family.”

“But it was it not you and your family that had been exiled from Songak, Your Highness?” Soo innocently blinked her eyes. Lord Hae Jeon Hin smirked as he watched the blood rush to the Hwangbo Princess’ face, he knew the Hwangju Hwangbo clan would push for a queen, perhaps it was best to end those aspirations before they could develop, “You must not forget the great debt your family owes the Hae clan, My Princess. It was marriage with Hae clan that helped the Hwangbo Royals return to Songak.” He added as he stood beside his cousin.

Before the Princess could say anything, the Dowager Queen held her tightly and forcefully smiled at the Hae Lord before nodding, “Indeed, it was an honor for 8th Prince Wang Wook to have Lady Hae Myung Hee as his bride.” Soo smiled in agreement. Lord Jeon Hin and Lady Soo slightly bowed, nowhere near how it should have been done for members of the royalty and walked away. Just before she left, Soo leaned and whispered in Princess Yeon Hwa’s ear, “Princess, both of us know how much power the Hoengseong Hae clan has, let us not delude ourselves.”

“You held yourself very well there, Lady Soo.” Lord Hae Jeon Hin commented as they both walked near the throne where they were supposed to stand during the coronation. “I have spent years at court, it is only natural that I learn orabeoni,” Soo replied back. Before the Hae lord could say anything, Soo turned to her right and smiled at her best friend brightly before bowing, “Greetings to the 14th Prince.” Wang Jung smiled back, equally bright before greeting her back, “Hello Soo-ya! I did not expect to see you here.”

She laughed softly and honestly replied, “I did not expect to be here as well, but the Hae Clan supported the 4th Prince greatly and His Highness wants me to be here for the coronation.” Jung looked surprised, “He’s making a strong statement then.” “I suppose so.” As everyone in the room quietened down and stood on the sides, waiting for the arrival of the soon to be crowned king, Lord Hae Jeon Hin whispered, “You have a close bond with the 14th Prince?!” Resisting the urge to roll her eyes, Soo whispered back, “I grew up with him, we are close friends.” Before her cousin could say anything, the doors to the throne room opened and the 4th Prince walked in, behind him marched his chosen ministers. Lord Hae, Lord Kang, and Lord Shin stood behind the 4th Prince alongside Grand General Park.

Soo could not help but blush and stare in awe at the 4th Prince, he looked perfect. The black ceremonial robes and the headpiece made him look every bit the king he was destined to be. She proudly watched as he rose to the throne and was proclaimed king. Their eyes met amidst the echoes of ‘long live the king’ and Soo encouragingly smiled as she too fell to her knees and bowed in front of the new king.

Once the official ceremony was done, it was time for the heads of each clan to kneel in front of their new king and pledge their loyalty to him, although she doubted that most of them meant it. The newly crowned King Gwangjong surprised the Yoo clan and Lord Yoo Geung Dal when he asked the Shinju Kang clan to come forward first. Lord Kang prostrated himself in front of the king as he loudly said, “Greetings to the new king! Long, long, long may you live!” So motioned for the lord to rise and announced, “As the Kang clan is my maternal clan and Concubine Shinjuwon Kang is my adoptive mother, she will be named Queen Mother.” The 14th Prince and Lord Yoo’s necks snapped up to stare at the new king in shock. They had most certainly not seen that coming.

Lord Kang smiled victoriously and got back to where he initially stood. The Yoo clan was summoned next by the eunuch next to the king. The 14th Prince went on his knees alongside the Yoo lord and pledged their loyalty (not before the Yoo lord finished talking about how the new king was his dear nephew, Soo almost snorted at that) After the Yoo clan was done, King Gwangjong nodded and told the entire court, “While the Kang clan is the clan I was adopted into, I have not forgotten that I am the 3rd son of Dowager Queen Sinmyeongsunseong and that I have Yoo clan blood running through my body. Taking into consideration that Concubine Shinjuwon will not be able to fulfill her duties as Queen Mother due to her illness, most of the responsibilities of Queen Mother will be bestowed upon Dowager Queen Sinmyeongsunseong.”

Everyone stared at Wang So in shock, they had not expected this. It took a couple of moments for her to realize what he had done. He had given an equal amount of power to both the Kangs and the Yoos. And as he had favored both his maternal clans equally, neither of them would try to attack the other in fear of losing the king’s favor. As long as King Gwangjong ruled, there would not be a battle or a war between the Chungju Yoos and the Shinju Kangs. Hae Soo had a proud smile on her face as it dawned upon her how smoothly her love had prevented any conflict between the clans. Standing across from her. Princess Hwangbo Yeon Hwa smirked with pride, she knew she was right when she had chosen the 4th Prince over the 8th Prince, her mother seemed to share the same thoughts as her as she secretively smiled at her daughter.

Lord Hwangbo could not hide his surprise when the Hae clan was called before them. Princess Yeon Hwa controlled her anger at the slight. Lord Hae Myeong, Lord Hae Jeon Hin and the newly reinstated Lady Hae Soo moved to the center of the courtroom and made way to prostrate themselves in front of their new king and swear their allegiance when the King ordered, “Stop.” All the clan leaders and princes turned to look at the King in confusion, wondering why the king stopped the Hae clan.

“Lady Hae’s knees are weak, it would do no good for her to weaken her knees further by prostrating herself, a bow will be sufficient.” Soo stared at the king in panic and confusion, not understanding why he was doing this while many others present had their eyes bulging out of their heads, including the 9th Prince, 14th Prince and Princess Yeon Hwa. The 13th Prince resisted the urge to facepalm and disguised his chuckle as a cough, shaking everyone from their stupor. It was only then did all the lords present in the room connect the dots. ‘The 4th Prince loved a court lady…..Lady Hae Soo’s sudden adoption back into her clan…The 4th Prince carrying an unconscious Lady Hae from the late king’s chambers..…why the noble lady was present at the coronation…and why she had chosen to wear a red hanbok’  The King was making a clear statement with Lady Hae Soo’s presence at court.

Lord Hae Myeong and Lord Hae Jeon Hin prostrated themselves in front of the king, hiding their wide grins to the ground while Lady Hae Soo deeply bowed, her cheeks were flaming as everyone’s attention was to her. The King looked at the three before announcing, “Lord Hae Jeon Hin will advise me as one of my ministers.” Lord Hae Jeon Hin bowed in gratitude and let the king continue, “And, in recognition of the great service the Hoengseong Hae clan has done for me, I wish to reward the Hae clan with a marriage proposal.” The Hae lords and the lady bowed at the king’s words. Soo sneaked a glance to see the princess and had to hold back her laughter at seeing Princess Yeon Hwa’s aristocratic face filled with anger, she could notice how the older woman was shaking with rage.

“It would be our great honor for you to marry one of our clan’s daughters, Pyeha.” Lord Hae Myeong humbly replied. 13th Prince Baek ah could not help but find all of this humorous, it had been decided long before that Soo was going to marry So-hyungnim.

King Gwangjong nodded, “It is decided then, I will be taking the Lady Hae Soo as wife and Queen.” Choi Ji Mong who stood on the side, bowed his head, and noted it down before telling the newly crowned king, “I will find a suitable date for the marriage ceremony, Pyeha.”

‘The power of the throne has fallen into the Hae Clan’s hands’, everyone thought. Most clans in Goryeo owed a debt to the Hae Clan, and now the King’s first wife and first Queen is also an Hae, it was clear as to which clan held power in the kingdom. Quickly, the rest of the clans came one by one and swore their allegiance to the new king. After the Naju Oh clan had pledged their alliance, King Gwangjong nodded towards them and told everyone, “My second wife, the Princess Gyeong Hwa will be brought back to court as 2nd Queen when she turns fourteen.” The Naju Oh clan and the Jincheon Im clan bowed their head in gratitude.

Hae Soo smiled at the king at that. ‘You will no longer be remembered in history as a bloody tyrant. I will help you.’ She silently promised the love of her life.

Notes:

I spent more than an hour researching on early Goryeo's government and court but found myself more confused than everything. If someone does know it properly, please do explain it out for me. Thank you! I hope you enjoy this chapter

Chapter 7: VII. The Tireless Attempts of The Hwangbos

Summary:

The Hwangbos try to stop So and Soo's marriage, The king spends time with his family

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

Chapter Seven

 

“Keep the mask there,” Soo ordered as she stood in the center of the King’s chambers. The new king’s marriage announcement left all the clans shocked. Even she herself was shocked, she did not expect him to announce their marriage like that. She expected a decree to be written a couple of days later. The announcement resulted in ladies from all the clans in Songak calling her for tea, something she would like to avoid, she had no plans of tolerating barbs and insults from the noble ladies. Instead, she had taken up the task of decorating So’s new chambers. She knew the memories of his elder brothers and father haunted him when he entered the chamber. He barely even slept last night, he spent it thrashing around and waking up in cold sweat. She decided to sleep with him so as to soothe him whenever he woke up.

As she looked around, she could not help but feel pleased with how she arranged everything in the chamber. She had all of King Jeonjong’s furniture thrown out and had brought furniture of a darker color. Red and yellow drapes were placed around the walls and above the bed. His armor and mask was placed as decoration in the chamber, alongside flowers. Flowers always manage to brighten up any room.

“My lady.” A court lady said, Soo turned around and saw a court lady bow to her. Judging by the woman’s attire, it was clear that she worked for a Dowager Queen and not under her at the Damiwon. Hae Soo smiled and asked, “What is it?” She looked nervous as she told, “Dowager Queen Sinjeong and Princess Hwangbo Yeon Hwa would like to speak to you. They have summoned you to their chamber.” She could avoid requests from women from noble clans, but she could very well not avoid summons from a Dowager Queen. Sighing, she nodded and said, “I would be honored to meet with the Dowager Queen and Her Highness.” She turned around to instruct the court ladies in the room, “Make sure everything is placed according to my orders. Once you are done, you can go to the Damiwon. I have made sure that refreshments are prepared for all of you.” Everyone’s eyes widened at the noblewoman’s words. Such a thing was never done before. They bowed their heads in gratitude and continued with their work. The King’s betrothed walked out of his chambers and towards the Queen’s Quarters.

She noticed how the court lady walking behind her was extremely nervous. Clearly, Hae Soo was not being invited for a simple tea and snacks. This was something that would cause the king great anger if it reached him.

Lady Hae Soo entered Dowager Queen Sinjeong’s chambers and slightly bowed to both the royal women before sitting down in the empty seat around the table. Both the women looked surprised at her actions, Soo smiled, “Greetings, I am quite busy, so I would like to get this over with as quickly as possible.”

Princess Yeon Hwa glared at the woman in front of her, “Do you not know your manners?!” Soo smirked and replied, “Actually, Princess Yeon Hwa, I should be asking you that question. You have not offered your greetings or bowed in my presence. I am to be Queen in 3 weeks’ time after all.”

“Do not fool yourself, you cannot be Queen.” The Dowager Queen dismissed her words as though they were nothing more than delusions, “My mother is right, you have no right to be Queen. The Hwangbo clan will not allow it.” Yeon Hwa firmly said as she continued to glare at the noblewoman in front of her.

Soo softly laughed, “I would advise against it, Your Highness. It would be quite the embarrassment for the Hwangju Hwangbo clan if they were told off in court. After all, your presence here, in this palace, is because of the Lady Hae Myung Hee of the Hae Clan. The Hwangbos owe a lot to the Haes.”

‘If this were a scene from a cartoon, perhaps smoke would have come out of Princess Yeon Hwa’s ears’ Soo thought, holding back a chuckle. Hwangbo Yeon Hwa had a cruel smirk on her face before she said, “A woman with a scar cannot marry the king.” Dowager Queen Sinjeong approvingly smiled at her daughter. “What the princess is saying is absolutely correct, you scarred your hand to avoid marriage with the late King Taejo. As such, you cannot marry the current king.”

Before Hae Soo could say anything, a eunuch entered the chambers. He bowed to the three women before saying, “Pyeha has summoned the three of you to court.”

Princess Yeon Hwa smirked as she looked at Lady Hae Soo, “The 8th Prince must have spoken to the king about your scar. I am sure the king has summoned us to court to announce his intentions of wedding me instead. I will be Queen of Goryeo.” Without looking back at the Hae Clan lady, the Dowager Queen and the Hwangbo Princess walked towards Cheondeokjeon. Soo smiled at the eunuch before following the women to the King’s Quarters.

 


 

Wang Wook was giving So a huge headache. The man had come in early in the morning and made demand after demand to the newly crowned king. And when he had not even listened to any of his ridiculous demands, he proposed marriage. So almost snorted at that. As if he would marry any other woman than Hae Soo. Besides, he knew how Yeon Hwa was the one who told King Jeonjong about Eun and Soon Deok's whereabouts. He would never marry Yeon Hwa.

“You cannot marry Lady Hae Soo, Pyeha.” The 8th Prince firmly said. The 13th Prince looked like he was about to go strangle the 8th Prince himself.

“And why not?” King Gwanjong asked, resisting the urge to rub his aching forehead. The 8th Prince slightly smirked before saying, “Lady Hae Soo scarred herself to prevent marriage with King Taejo. A woman with a scar cannot marry a king.” Before the 13th Prince could say anything, he continued, “However, I understand that it is vital that the Hoengseong Hae clan be kept close to the royal family, as such, I offer to marry Lady Hae Soo myself.”

“How dare you-“ Before Baek ah could continue screaming at his elder brother, King Gwangjong raised his hand, motioning for the 13th Prince to be quiet. The thick golden bracelet on the king’s left hand shined brightly as he summoned the head eunuch standing on his right. “Yes, Pyeha.” The eunuch bowed to the king. “Summon Lady Hae Soo, Princess Hwangbo Yeon Hwa and Dowager Queen Sinjeong to court.”

The eunuch bowed and left to bring the three women. Baek ah turned to look at his 4th brother in shock. Surely his 4th brother had not forgotten that the scar on Hae Soo’s wrist was still there.

Soon, the three women entered the court. Lady Hae Soo looked graceful and beautiful in the white robes that she was wearing. The flowers embroidered on the hanbok brought out the pink in her cheeks as she bowed to the king, “Greetings to the king.” A smile appeared on So’s face for a moment, but it quickly vanished when he saw the other women who deeply bowed to the king and greeted him.

“I see that there’s a huge interest of the Hwangbo Clan on the future Queen’s rumored drawbacks. While I find the concern admirable, I would like to set everything straight. Lady Hae Soo, will you please show your left wrist out.” Soo bowed once again and raised the sleeve of her hanbok slightly show her left wrist, which had a thick gold bracelet on it, identical to the one the king was wearing on his left hand. She removed the bracelet and showed her unscarred wrist to everyone. The Hwangbos were staring at the lady in shock while the king smiled victoriously. 13th Prince Anjong looked extremely surprised himself.  

The King and the lady’s eyes met, and they both resisted the urge to grin.

“The Hwangbo Clan will try to raise an opposition to you marrying me.” The newly crowned king told Lady Hae Soo as he held her tightly in an embrace.

Soo turned around to stare at him as she wondered out loud, “They cannot say my status, as the Hae clan has a lot of power and the Hwangbos do not. What else can they say?” She rubbed So’s left cheek soothingly with her thumb as Wang So closed his eyes in contentment. She accidentally removed the makeup that was on his cheek to cover up his scar. “I’m sorry-“ she began before she stopped herself as the king’s eyes opened immediately, they both looked at each other as realization hit them.

“The scar!” They both exclaimed together. So pulled Soo’s left wrist and looked at the scar she had made in order to leave the marriage to King Taejo. “They will most probably say I am unfit to marry you as I am scarred.” Hae Soo whispered. So smiled at her and told, “My scar disappeared, it is only fair that yours disappears too.”

“I hope it is clear to everyone that Lady Hae Soo has no scar on her wrist. I would prefer it if no one came to me again with such strange and absurd rumors. All of you are dismissed.” Princess Yeon Hwa was seething as she was forced to leave the courtroom.

 


 

“Yeon Hwa’s face,” Soo said while laughing. Hae Soo, Wang So, and Baek ah were dining in the privacy of the king’s quarters at the end of the day.

“I was so scared that your marriage won’t happen.” Baek ah truthfully told as he shook his head at the couple in front of him. Soo giggled. “As if I’d marry anyone other than Soo.” So scoffed, Baek ah, and Soo gave him a pointed look before Baek ah said, “You married Princess Gyeong Hwa, hyungnim.”

“That was different, alright.” So tried to save face. Baek ah and Soo broke out laughing. So quickly changed the topic, “Where is Lady Woo Hee? I had invited her for dinner as well.” As if it were timed, the Lady Woo Hee entered the King’s chambers. She bowed to everyone in the chamber. So smiled at the woman, before he gestured to the empty seat in between Soo and Baek ah. Looking mildly surprised, she sat down beside the 13th Prince, shooting him a smile. Soo served the Gyobang Court Lady food. “Thank you Soo-ya.”

Hae Soo looked at the couple mischievously before telling the king, “Pyeha, I promised the 13th Prince that I will repay him for him helping me sneaking out of the palace to meet you. However, I find that I cannot repay him and that I will need your help.” So chuckled and pretended to be serious as he nodded, “Of course, I will repay him in the way you asked me to.” Wang So got up and brought a box and gave it to the 13th Prince. Baek ah stared at his elder brother and his best friend in confusion. He opened the box to find a scroll inside.

Woo Hee stared at it curiously as Soo urged, “Read it out loud.” Baek ah placed his chopsticks down and opened the scroll and began to read, “King Gwangjong approves the marriage of the Sacred Prince Wang Anjong of the Royal Wang Clan of Goryeo to the Princess Gyeon Woo Hee of the Royal Gyeon Clan of Hubaekje….”

The 13th Prince looked up to stare at the soon to be royal couple, “How do you know this….?” He turned to look at Woo Hee who looked pale. The excited looks on his brother and soon to be sister-in-law’s faces turned to confusion at the lack of reaction. “I thought you wanted to marry Woo Hee-ya.” Soo pouted.

“I did not tell him….” Woo Hee whispered shocking Hae Soo and Wang So. Baek ah scoffed, turning all eyes to him, “Did you think I did not know?” he asked the princess. Woo Hee stared at him shock, “I have a spy network all around Goryeo, of course, I know you’re the princess of Hubaekje. I figured it out during the reign of King Hyejong.”

“Daebak…” Soo whispered as she stared at the 13th Prince. Baek ah turned to look at his best friend and teasingly grinned, “You have paid your debt to me Soo-ya.” She grinned back and bowed her head. The 13th Prince then turned to his elder brother and brightly smiled, “Thank you hyungnim.”

Looking at Woo Hee’s pale face, So comfortingly said, “Do not be so shocked, Princess Woo Hee. We do not get to choose who our parents are. Their actions and mistakes are their own. Why must you pay for the sins of your ancestors?” Soo nodded in agreement.

“If you wish it, I would love to welcome you into the family, Jae-su.” Wang So smiled at Woo Hee, who had tears in her eyes as she choked out, “Thank you so much Pyeha.” She bowed her head in gratitude. Baek ah wrapped his hand around his lover’s shoulder and bowed, “Thank you hyungnim.” The lovers looked at each other with uncontrolled adoration and love.

Under the table, Soo and So’s hands intertwined as they looked at the couple in front of them.

“Being the Princess of Hubaekje, you must come to court to advise me regarding the fallen Hubaekje and it’s people.” Wang So told. The Hubaekje Princess’s eyes sparkled as she bowed her head, “It will be my greatest honor, Pyeha.” Baek ah grinned at his elder brother.

The four spent the rest of dinner laughing at ridiculous stories and spending time together. Wang So looked around and smiled, ‘My family’ he thought with a smile.

 


 

“You have decorated the chamber beautifully Soo-ya.” So smiled at Soo. She looked pleased at what he said and replied, “I was hoping it would be to your taste. I know how the memories of the past haunt you, so I thought I’d change it as much as I can.” Wang So looked at Hae Soo gratefully. “Thank you Soo-ya.”

She smiled at him and sat beside him on the bed and rested her head on his shoulder, “There is something Baek ah-nim does not know.” So looked confused as he asked, “What does he not know?”

“Woo Hee-ya was with child when she had gone back to Hubaekje, the 13th Prince’s child. They have a daughter together, So-nim.” So moved back to look at Hae Soo in shock, he could not believe what he heard. Soo nodded, reconfirming what she had said, “They have a 4-year-old daughter. She is staying at the 8th Prince’s residence.”

Wang So looked even more confused at that, “If they do have a daughter, how and why is she at the 8th Prince’s residence?” Soo looked hesitant as she said, “Woo Hee could not bear to leave her daughter in Hubaekje when she was planning to return to Songak, so she brought her daughter along. But she could not parade her daughter around, could she? The 8th Prince owes me a debt, I was simply cashing on it.”

“What debt does Wook owe you?” So asked Hae Soo, who let out a nervous breath before looking at him tenderly, “You must not get angry, alright? I want you to know whatever I am going to tell you is all in the past and right now, you are the only one I love and that I am all yours.” So nodded and gestured for her to continue, “Remember when I told you I loved another years back? It was the 8th Prince.”

A strange silence followed as King Gwangjong processed that, “Wook….so much of it makes sense now…” Soo panicked at the blank look on So’s face as she quickly said, “He does not matter now. I promise you, you are the only one I love, for forever.” As soon as she finished her words, So pulled her into a tight embrace, “You’re mine.” He firmly said, she nodded, praying that he does not push her away, “If what you had with Wook is in the past, then I am fine. Go on about the debt.”

Hae Soo sighed in relief as she pulled away from So’s embrace to continue, “He promised Myung Hee unnie that he’d take care of me. He promised me that he would protect me. But that day in the rain….he left me kneeling in front of Cheondeokjeon all alone. He turned his back on me. He broke the promise he made to unnie and me. As a repayment to the promise he broke, I asked him to take care of his 13th brother’s daughter as his own.”

So looked at her in disbelief as he asked, “And he agreed?!” Soo nodded, “He did. Bok Soon-ah has been living with her uncle for the past 2 years, of course, Woo Hee sees her often, when Princess Seo Nui brings her to the palace that is.” The King looked stunned at this news. “I have told Woo Hee to tell the 13th Prince, it is long overdue anyway. Is there any way their daughter can be recognized as theirs?” Hae Soo asked. The former 4th Prince thought about it before saying, “Well, we can always say that King Hyejong passed a secret decree that proclaimed Woo Hee as Baek ah’s concubine. So their daughter will be legitimate.”

Soo looked worried as she asked, “Will no one question it?” Wang So replied, “I doubt anyone will, considering that Baek ah’s maternal clan is a very weak one, it is not of much consequence. The only important thing here is the joining of the Silla and Goryeo Royal clans with the Hubaekje Royal clan.” Hae Soo smiled in relief at Wang So and said, “It seems everyone is getting their happy endings.”

King Gwangjong nodded as he pushed Soo on the bed and climbed over her, “Now, can we talk about how unfair it is that my younger brother had a child before I did.” So whispered as he leaned in, pressing his lips to hers as the king held his lover tightly to the bed. Soo put her hands around So’s neck as their lips continued to move in sync. So moved her jeogri to the side and started kneading her breasts over the tunic. So slipped his tongue between her lips after a particularly loud and needy moan.

The first time around, when they had laid with each other, both of them had patiently explored each other, but King Gwangjong was anything but patient tonight as he tore Soo’s Jeogri open. Soo’s eyes widened at that but Wang So paid no heed to it as he moved his lips from hers to her collarbone. He began to suck on the warm skin there, hard enough to make sure that there would be a mark there before moving slightly down and repeating the same.

“Pyeha…” Soo loudly moaned, caught up in the king’s ministrations, completely at his mercy. So pulled away for a moment and removed Soo’s Jeogri and the tunic around her breasts completely and tossed it somewhere on the ground before quickly reclaiming Soo’s lips. Soo’s moans of pleasure grew louder as the warmth of their kisses quickly turned to a fiery blaze.

Meanwhile, the guards stationed outside the king’s chambers continued to blush as their soon to be Queen’s moans echoed around the area.

Notes:

I cannot write bed scenes for the life of me, so here you go. I hope it was decent enough.

Chapter 8: VIII. The Happy Endings We Dream of Are Near

Summary:

Soo meets Queen Yoo, Baek ah meets his daughter

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

 

Chapter Eight

 

“Are you sure about this?” The 14th Prince asked Hae Soo. Both of them were having tea together at Damiwon Palace. A couple of days back, Soo had asked Jung to ask his mother to allow a small audience for her. Fortunately, the Queen had permitted because it was her favorite son who asked.

Soo firmly nodded, “I am sure about this.” Noticing the prince’s worried expression, she added, “Do not worry, it will not take a lot of time.”

He sighed before replying, “I am still uncomfortable with this, but I know that I cannot stop you once you have set your mind on something, so go on. Shall we go meet her now?” he looked at her asked. She smiled at the prince and nodded. 

She stood up from her along with the prince, who helped her from her seat. Soo was dressed quite simply today. She wore a light blue chima and a white jeogri with light blue floral designs on it. She had worn this years ago when the 4th Prince had taken her out on his boat for the first time.

“Soo-ya?” Jung’s voice snapped her out of her memories. She apologetically smiled at him and told, “My apologies, I will be back in a moment.” She excused herself and called two court ladies along with her. So had told her that she was not to stress her heart and put pressure on her knees, so she had to end up calling court ladies to carry things for her.

“Could you carry these boxes for me?” she asked the court ladies, who bowed and smiled at her before carrying the boxes. She walked to where the 14th Prince was still waiting and nervously smiled at him, “Shall we?” he nodded and both of them left the Damiwon for the Queen’s Quarters, the court ladies obediently following behind them.

“You must not tell Pyeha anything about this meeting.” She instructed the prince who scoffed, “As though I speak with him.” At that, Soo slightly glared at him. “I have been asking you to speak with your elder brother, but you still have not done so.”

The 14th Prince looked nervous as he awkwardly told, “It feels strange, my brother and I have never been close. I was born after he had left for Shinju. I do not know how to approach him.” Hae Soo softly smiled at the embarrassed prince, understanding how he felt.

“How about we all have dinner together?” She offered,

“Dinner?”

Soo nodded, “Baek ah-nim, Woo Hee-ya, Pyeha and I dine together often. Pyeha calls them family dinners. You could join too.” He looked hesitant, “If it's family dinners, then it would be strange for me to be there.”

“You are family too, Jungie-nim.” She smiled up at him. The 14th Prince made the mistake of looking at Hae Soo at that time, he could feel his cheeks heat up at the sight of her beautiful smile. How could he ever say no to that smile, “Fine, I will join for dinner.” He relented. Judging by the look of happiness on her face, he knew that she would have hugged him had they been out of the palace.

Soon they reached Dowager Queen Sinmyeongsunseong’s Quarters. The 14th Prince gave her an encouraging smile and with that, Soo took a deep breath and forced herself not to reach to the white lotus hairpin in her hair for strength. ‘I can do this.’ She reinforced in her mind and walked in as the court lady outside the Dowager Queen’s chamber announced her.

“Lady Soo of the Hoengseong Hae Clan, betrothed of the King, is entering!” Her light blue chima flowed behind her as she glided into the chamber and bowed deeply, “Greetings, Daebi Mama” she greeted the Dowager Queen, who acknowledged her with a side glance and the slightest of nods.

Soo forced a smile on her face and began, “I have prepared some gifts for you Daebi Mama.” She gestured for the court ladies to place the two boxes on the table in front of the cushion the Dowager Queen was seated on. She slowly moved forward and opened the first box. “These bathing aids are like incense pouches, except you need not carry them around, the smell is left on your skin. I have prepared scents as I did not know which one you would prefer.” There were 4 soaps in the box, each had a different color: light pink, lavender, turquoise, and yellow. Soo could see that the Dowager Queen was intrigued by her gifts but was ignoring her because of the king. “They are of different floral scents like roses and peonies.”

She then opened the second box, “Meanwhile, these bathing aids are to maintain the health of your skin. It will make your skin glow.” She gestured to the 4 cream colored soaps that laid in the box. She smiled at the Dowager Queen once more and moved backwards and bowed.

“I hope they are to your liking.” She softly said and slowly left the chamber and made her way out of the Queen’s Quarters, the court ladies following her, she slightly nodded at them and they returned to the Damiwon. She could see the 14th Prince waiting for her outside.

She went towards him and bowed, he looked at her with concern, “How did my mother react?” he asked. “She did not speak, but at the same time, she did not throw me out of her chamber, so I suppose it is well.” She gave him a strained smile.

Both of them were walking back to Damiwon Palace when Jung looked at her curiously, “Why did you want to meet my mother anyway?”

Without looking at him, Soo explained, “The King and the Dowager Queen’s relationship isn’t exactly the best, I wish to mend that. Surely the Dowager Queen does not despise her son, he is still her son after all. I am just trying to untangle the knots in their relationship.”

Jung sighed, “It will take a lot of effort. The thread which ties them together is full of knots, I am sure it will take a lot of effort to untangle all of them.”

She gave him a weary smile, “It does not hurt to try.”

 


 

“I understand that you wished to tell me something but why have you brought me to the 8th Prince’s residence for that?” Baek ah as Woo Hee pulled him along inside the residence. The servants around the area bowed when seeing the 13th Prince, Woo Hee called one of the servants, “Could you inform the 8th Princess that Lady Woo Hee is here with the 13th Prince.” The servant nodded and bowed to the Gyobang court lady before running off to find the 8th Princess.

Baek ah continued to stare at Woo Hee in confusion as she took his hand and held it tightly in hers.

“It is because I have something to show you as well.” Was the only answer he got as he waited for his sister, the 8th Princess. Soon, Seo Nui came to greet the both of them. “Greetings Baek ah-ya, Greetings Lady Woo Hee.”  The princess politely smiled at the both of them, before turning towards Baek ah, “I apologize that my husband is not here. He has a family luncheon with Yeon Hwa unnie, the Dowager Queen and a couple of his uncles that he is attending to.” She bowed to him and Woo Hee bowed back. Baek ah made a mental note of what the 8th Princess said, ‘It seems the Hwangbo Clan is up to no good’ he could not help but think, but on the outside, he smiled at his half-sister.

The couple followed Princess Seo Nui to a tearoom. Once they were seated and tea was served to both of them, the Princess stood up and looked at the Hubaekje Princess, “I will go bring her now.” Woo Hee only bowed in turn.

After the princess had left, Baek ah looked at Woo Hee, not understanding what was going on. Woo Hee placed the teacup on the table and took the 13th Prince’s hands in hers and confessed, “There has been something I have been hiding from you.” Baek ah could only see guilt in Woo Hee’s eyes, he could not help but feel worried at her reaction.

“A couple of months after I returned to Hubaekje. I..I found out I was with child. Baek ah…we..we have a daughter.” The 13th Prince froze at the words he heard from his beloved’s mouth. He could not process what she said.

A child, a child, their child, their daughter.

“Wha..what did you say?” Baek ah stuttered. A tear slipped from Woo Hee’s eyes as she slowly whispered, “We have a daughter Baek ah.” As though timed, Princess Seo Nui reentered the tearoom with a little girl following her, the little girl looked around 4 and she squealed when she saw Woo Hee.

“Eomoni!”

The 8th Princess must have noticed the conflict of emotions on her younger brother’s face because excused herself and quickly left just as she came in.

Baek ah stared at the little girl, the little girl who had Woo Hee’s features but his skin color. Trembling, he bent down and looked at the girl. “He is your father Bok Soon-ah.” The 13th Prince choked back on a sob when he heard her name. His daughter looked at him suspiciously, her nose scrunched up in a way not dissimilar to his, “He cannot be a prince, he looks more like a wandering minstrel.”

Baek ah laughed amidst his falling tears and went on his knees in front of his daughter, “Hello Bok Soon-ah, I am your abeoji.” The girl looked at her mother questioningly and received an encouraging smile from her. Bok Soon smiled nervously and bowed.

“Hello abeoji.”

The 13th Prince did not waste time pulling the little girl into his arms and hugging her tightly.

‘His daughter’ The Prince could not believe it. It seemed too good to be true.

He pulled back from their hug ever so reluctantly and looked at her fondly, wishing to memorize how his daughter looked like.

Woo Hee gave him a nervous look before going down on her knees beside him and smiling at their daughter, “Bok Soon-ah we are going to go home today, together.” Bok Soon’s eyes widened in surprise as she looked at her mother excitedly, “Really?!” Woo Hee smiled and nodded.

Bok Soon threw herself on Woo Hee and hugged her tightly with her little chubby arms while hiding her face in Woo Hee’s hanbok, “I always miss you when you go eomoni.” The little girl’s voice was muffled by the hanbok, but it broke Baek ah’s heart all the same. He could see the tears that brimmed in Woo Hee’s beautiful eyes.

The 13th Prince took both Woo Hee and Bok Soon in his arms, and as they hugged each other, it felt as though everything was returning back to the normalcy that he had wished for after his father’s death.

Notes:

I know it's a small chapter, but I hope you guys liked it.

I sort of lost inspiration with all the works I have of this drama, but I really want to write in this fandom cause I love it so very much, so expect very slow updates.

Notes:

I finally put this up! This idea was running around in my mind a lot so here it is! I hope you liked the first chapter, I promise the next chapters won't be as short as this.

Series this work belongs to: