Actions

Work Header

The Innocent Have Nothing to Fear

Summary:

Bucky turns himself in, and now faces the Supreme Court in a trial for his freedom over what the Winter Soldier did. Will he walk free, or does resurfacing all this pain and violence he caused get him stuck on The Raft forever?

Notes:

Chapter 1: Prologue

Chapter Text

"Breaking News: James Buchanan Barnes, more widely known as the Winter Soldier, has turned himself in to the local authorities in New York." 

 

As the headline was read out, Steve's head snapped towards the TV in the Tower's Common Room and everyone turned to him with cautious gazes. 

 

" The police have informed us that Barnes walked into the Precinct at 0900 this morning. He was reportedly unarmed and without his infamous prosthetic and went willingly into custody. The police have charged him with 42 counts of murder and High Treason and are awaiting a decision from the Supreme Court in regard to a trial date." 

 

"We need to-" Steve began, but cut himself off when the words got stuck around the lump in his throat, "Is there anything we can do?" 

 

"Other than get him the best lawyer in the state, no, not really." Tony whispered, "Barnes did this off his own back, though, so that should give him some points in his favour." 

 

Steve whined pitifully and buried his head in his hands, trying to ignore the stinging behind his eyes, "Why didn't he tell me? I coulda helped him."

 

"Steve." Natasha whispered from across the room, "I think that's the point. He didn't want to drag you down with him."

 

Sam made a noise of agreement, "Nat's got a point." 

 

The redhead snorted, "Of course I do."

 

Steve lifted his head, eyes glassy with tears, "I'm going with him either way, whether he wants me to or not. I lost him once, I refuse to lose him again." 

 

"And you won't." Sam soothed, "We'll sort it out, Rogers." 

 

Steve inhaled deeply, curling his fingers in his hair, and nodded gently, having complete confidence that his friends could handle it.