Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 4 of Adrien's Extraordinary Playlist
Stats:
Published:
2020-06-10
Updated:
2023-12-29
Words:
79,229
Chapters:
32/?
Comments:
282
Kudos:
634
Bookmarks:
98
Hits:
18,183

Adrien's Extraordinary Playlist

Chapter 22: Boulevard Of Broken Dreams

Summary:

#chlodemption

Notes:

Y'all are just killing me with the sweet comments - please keep them coming, they honestly make my day.

The reason I'm completing so many chapters back to back is my old job ended last week and the new one doesn't start until next Monday, so I'm spending time editing and finishing up these chapters while there's still time to spare!

As a teenager that played Green Day and Three Days Grace on repeat, I'm so pumped for this chapter. It's time for angst to reappear.

Part 22: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYCTXzOTnXg

Link to Overall Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9Pu1OnARCrnve20bEW4aKepWw_YXLJIq

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Don’t be bemused, it’s just the news! It's heartbreak for all the women and men of Paris as superstar Jagged Stone is engaged to his long-time manager Penny Rollings. There is no information at this time about where or when the ceremony will take place, but Penny informed TVi yesterday that it will be a small and private ceremony with only close friends and family in attendance. Reports of the couple's plans include Jagged’s pet crocodile, Fang, will walk down the aisle as the ring-bear or should we say ‘ring-gator’. Nadja Chamack signing off.”

Adrien was scrolling through the television channels, only stopping to hear Nadja's speech when Jagged’s picture popped up on the screen. While Nathalie never expressed a preference for what they watched, he wanted to find something they both may like. As of today, Gabriel had increased the amount of time Adrien was allowed to spend with Nathalie, mostly because she slept most of the time anyhow. But they were only allowed to do low-energy activities such as movies or listening to music.

In the fashion industry, Adrien had seen many people experience exhaustion. A few models passed out under the hot stage lights because of it, but usually, they were back on their feet within a few days or a week. But Nathalie hasn’t improved since he first saw her last week and when he overheard them talking yesterday, the doctors have no idea why she isn't getting better. Adrien tried to not focus on the medical mystery or his anxiety as he flipped through different talk shows.

Even now, Nathalie was dozing off again, despite having awoken less than an hour beforehand. Her dark hair was pulled back in a matted haphazard bun as she reclined on a pile of pillows. She no longer worked on her laptop because when she wasn’t sleeping, it was for doctor’s visits and eating. 

After a few minutes, Adrien settled a historical documentary about Roman Emperors. Educational, but still interesting enough for Adrien to want to watch. Adrien stayed for another hour, holding Nathalie’s hand as she slept through the show. He would brush his thumb over her knuckles gently, just thinking more and more about his mother. Nathalie sighed in her sleep and Adrien rested his head on his forearm. He hated how cold her finger felt in his, but he was reluctant to let go either - Never knowing if or when she'd disappear too. His mother had suffered dizzy spells and small bouts of exhaustion, but not quite to this extent. The coincidence of it all still bothered him - what are the odds that these two women would experience these same symptoms? If it was a virus, they would have been sick at the same time. But it's been two years since  Mom vanished.

That thought wasn't as painful as it once was. What if she had something terminal? Did she run away so Adrien and her husband didn't have to watch her suffer?

Why leave when they had access to the best medical care money could buy? What if it was like Deadpool and there was no hope so she was going to be experimented on? Considering that Adrien now knew how superheroes got their powers, he figured that the last one was the least likely. Soon there was a knock on the door, opening to reveal Bridgette and a tray of Nathalie's lunch. Although he could have stayed, he decided to get ready for his visit to Chloe. As he left, Adrien gave Nathalie's fingers one last squeeze.

After yesterday’s outing with his friends, he made sure to finish his portion of the project that was due on Tuesday and study for a literature review and geometry test. Then we spent the evening playing UMS-III against Plagg. Maybe one of these days, he would reach Marinette-tier of skill, but honestly, Adrien spent most of the day half-waiting for an Akuma, but there hadn’t been one since Princess Fragrance on Thursday. It wasn't unnerving, but he couldn't help the premonition that something big was coming. Nonetheless, he grabbed Plagg and head out the door.

He had been overdue for a visit to Chloe as Adrien and was positively dreading it. Normally, he was pretty good at separating his experiences as Chat from his ones as Adrien, but today, he just felt annoyed and frankly pissed off, and as Plagg would put it, the cheese will start to smell.

As children, Adrien had always given Chloe the benefit of the doubt when it comes to her less-than-noble actions, but he never thought she would side with Hawkmoth. Part of him was irritated that she had an opportunity to get the butterfly miraculous, but instead, let her selfishness win out in the end. The compassionate side of him knew there was a hidden depth to Chloe's actions, but as one of the heroes that now have to deal with the aftermath, that side wasn't very strong. No matter what side was in control, he wanted to shake her and demand she answer the question of "WHY?!"

Later when the car stopped out of Le Grand Paris, he felt a permanent scowl forming on his face. Much like when Ladybug and Chat had stopped by the other day, Chloe’s butler was there to greet him. On the silent elevator ride, Adrien practiced smoothing out his features into a pleasant neutral mask. His civilian self didn't have any reason to be upset with Chloe. Yet.

When the butler let him into her room without a word, Adrien was surprised to not be tackled immediately. No 'Adrikins' or high pitch squealing - just a reverberating electric guitar. Moving deeper into the room, Adrien peered around the corner from the living space to her bedroom area.

There she was, packing all her clothes, smashing them into the luggage in a frenzied unorganized manner. He was kind of surprised she was completing this task herself - typically Sabrina would do it for her. Chloe didn’t notice him as she stuffed more items into a tote bag. She sang as if she were having a conversation - all the bravado from his last visit was completely gone. 

 

I walk a lonely road

The only one that I have ever known

Don't know where it goes

But it's home to me and I walk alone

 

Sniffling, Chloe hastily walked into her closet and pulled down more bags from one of the shelves. Still unaware of Adrien awkwardly standing there.

 

I walk this empty street

On the Boulevard of Broken Dreams

 

She wistfully glanced out the balcony doors adjacent to her bed before violently shoving several pairs of heels into a tote bag, in time with the musical backbeat.

 

Where the city sleeps

And I'm the only one and I walk alone

 

She stood still for a moment and shook her head, trying to control her emotions.

 

I walk alone

I walk alone

I walk alone

I walk a

 

As the tempo changed, Chloe’s delivery became more desperate as angry tears poured down her cheeks. Nonetheless, she continued to shove her blouses into a hard suitcase. 



My shadow's the only one that walks beside me

My shallow heart's the only thing that's beating

Sometimes I wish someone out there will find me

'Til then I walk alone

 

Taking a shuddering breath, Chloe pushed back strands of hair that stuck to her cheek. Finished with the clothes, she began throwing her various bottles of makeup into a travel case. 

 

Ah-ah, ah-ah, ah-ah, aaah-ah

Ah-ah, ah-ah, ah-ah

 

Finishing packing, she sat down heavily on the chaise in front of the bed. Her head in her hands - smearing her eye makeup as she continuously wiped away her tears in vain. 

 

I'm walking down the line

That divides me somewhere in my mind

On the borderline

Of the edge and where I walk alone

 

Her hands trailed from her cheeks to her hair. Chloe’s nails dug into the usually perfectly coiffed ponytail - ruining it as she tugged at the strands in frustration. Laughing hysterically.

 

Read between the lines

Of what's fucked up and everything's alright

Check my vital signs

To know I'm still alive and I walk alone

 

Chloe wrapped her arms around herself, facing back out to the terrace.

 

I walk alone

I walk alone

I walk alone

I walk a

 

Starting to cry in earnest, Chloe rocked herself. All the lyrics come out as mangled sobs then words. Until that moment, Adrien hadn’t considered how lonely Chloe might be, especially now. The guilt ripped through him.

 

My shadow's the only one that walks beside me

My shallow heart's the only thing that's beating

Sometimes I wish someone out there will find me

'Til then I walk alone

 

No matter how much he wanted to comfort her at that moment, he stood rooted in place, not sure if what he was seeing was real.

 

Ah-ah, ah-ah, ah-ah, aaah-ah

Ah-ah, ah-ah

I walk alone

I walk a

 

Before long, her sobbing slowed and she went about collecting various items from around the room. Adrien noticed that the waste bin beside her bed was filled with Ladybug-themed merchandise. A little Queen Bee figure clutched in her hand, she glared at before throwing it into the waste bin too. Without a glance in his direction, she walked out to the balcony. Adrien silently inched into her bedroom, searching for a moment when he could politely bring attention himself. The music still played as he approached the doors, Chloe now whispering the lyrics. 

 

I walk this empty street

On the Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Where the city sleeps

And I'm the only one and I walk a

 

Chloe hugged herself again as she leaned against the railing. Her thumb ran self-soothing circles on her arm; her tone more dejected as she continued. 

 

My shadow's the only one that walks beside me

My shallow heart's the only thing that's beating

Sometimes I wish someone out there will find me

'Til then I walk alone

 

The way Chloe said ‘alone’ echoed in his mind as the aggressive backbeat gave way. When it ends, Adrien came up beside her and hugged her shoulders. Chloe jolted in surprise, but without missing a beat, she cried, her tears staining his shirt.

Adrien silently held her until her breathing became more even. Pulling away, he guided her to one of the lounge chairs and retrieved a makeup remover and a cotton ball from the travel case he had seen earlier. Sitting next to her, Adrien meticulously removed the remnants of her mascara and eye shadow. Underneath her concealer were dark purple circles and her eyes looked extremely puffy.

Once he had done that, Chloe redrew back into herself, attempting to fix her hair. “What are you doing here, Adrien?" She demanded, "I don’t remember inviting you.”

Adrien fidgeted with his ring, the guilt of his early thoughts coming back, “No, you’re right. I heard that you weren’t coming back to school, so I wanted to make sure you're okay.” At least that part was true. While upset with her, Adrien still cared if she was alright.

Chloe folded her arms, her nose in the air, “That school was lame anyway, full of losers if you ask me.”

“Even so, why leave?” It's not like everyone knows about the Miracle Queen incident

Her facade faltered and Chloe's shoulders slumped, “I don’t expect you to understand.”

“You never know," he offered.

"Yeah right, M. 'Perfect-At-Everything'. Besides you're questionable taste in friends, you can do no wrong. Everyone adores you." Her tone was bitter.

Adrien could imagine Plagg rolling his eyes. He was far from perfect. "Hold up, Chlo, I'm not perfect. I make mistakes like everyone else." More than I can count as Chat Noir. The Weredad fiasco was still fresh in his mind.

Chloe raised a single brow at him, "Uh-huh, sure."

Adrien bumped his shoulder to hers, "Why don't you tell me what's wrong? I might surprise you.”

Pausing for a moment, she conceded. “Have you...Did you ever have a dream?... You know what, forget I said anything, it’s ridiculous.”

“No, it’s not, Chlo. You can tell me.”

Chloe blinked at him in disbelief. “Well, I’ve always dreamed of being someone special - someone famous. To be noticed.”

Adrien nodded along, “I could see that.”

“I mean look at me, I was halfway there. Beautiful, talented, generous." Adrien caught himself before he could laugh. "You know how my dad and mom are, being the center of attention is practically in my blood. But I always wanted something that made me special like no one else. And only when I am Queen Bee, do I feel like that.”

Playing dumb, Adrien asked. “Even if Ladybug doesn’t let you keep the Miraculous, you’re still Queen Bee, right?”

“No, not anymore," Chloe shook her head, tears brimming in her eyes again. "Adrien, can you keep a secret?

“Of course, Chlo. You can trust me with anything.” Discounting the fact that he already knew what she was gonna say, he was genuinely curious to hear Chloe's point of view.

Chloe peered down at her hands, “I did something really bad. I mean, it’s still Ladybug’s fault for not giving me MY miraculous when I asked for it." Her lip trembled a little bit, "But I’m the one who did it.”

“I don't understand,” Adrien commented in a gentle tone. Mostly the part about it being Ladybug’s fault. 

“You know how I am-was Queen Bee? Well, when Ladybug refused to give me my miraculous AGAIN, it was my parents that were akumatized, I was the best option to help... anyway, I got so frustrated that I just could help myself and I made a poor decision and...ended up losing it all.”

Adrien patiently waited for her to continue. Chloe sighed, “I helped Hawkmoth steal the miracle box, it's this thing with all these other miraculouses, and exposed the other heroes' identities. You should have seen Ladybug’s picks for heroes." She laughed bitterly, "Poorly chosen if you ask me. Utterly poorly chosen.” 

He schooled his face into one of shock, “Um wow, Chloe. But how come no one remembers what happened? It wasn't on the Ladyblog.”

“I was Queen Wasp and my wasps stung everyone.”

"Oh right, I remember that." That flipping swarming horde of bees. Ugh. Adrien didn't hate insects, but that scene definitely would play a role in a few of his nightmares. 

Chloe stood quickly up, angry as she put distance between them, “I'm sure you want to leave now and never speak to me again. I know I'm a horrible person, but it really is Ladybug and that dumb cat’s fault. If they had done what I asked, none of that would have happened and I’d still be Queen Bee.”

Adrien paused for two seconds, one, to rein in his temper, and two, to think of a good response. “Chloe," he started slowly. "I don’t think you’re a horrible person. It's true, you've made mistakes and you've hurt people; it's your actions that led to what happened. But you can’t blame Ladybug for everything. While she’s a hero, she’s also a person that makes mistakes. But instead of blaming someone else, she tries to do better the next time.” He thought about how guilty Ladybug felt about the whole situation, while Chloe may be a good Queen Bee, doesn't give her the right to not take responsibility for her actions. "Same goes for you, you made a mistake, but the only way to be better is to try and fix it."

Chloe gave him an incredulous look, before sitting back down. “You know, Ladybug stopped by last night to talk to me. After giving her a piece of my mind, all she asked was that I keep the other people’s identity secret."

"Even by doing that small amount, you can still be a hero."

She sniffled, “Honestly, I was surprised, she hasn’t been parading through the streets telling everyone how much I screwed up.” 

“Is that why you’re leaving?”

She glared at him, “Ridiculous! I'm not scared of anyone, not even Ladybug or Hawkmoth. I’m leaving because I want to. I wanted to go to New York with my mother, but now that she and Daddy are ‘in love’ again," she grimaced, "It's disgusting if you ask me, she doesn’t want to leave. So I’m visiting my cousins in Switzerland.”

“Are you gonna come back?”

Chloe considered it for a minute or two before answering, “Daddy requested I come back to go to Lycée in the fall. I don’t know though, maybe I just need to get out of Paris.” She gazed back out over the railing. Adrien felt the same way about the city, while he loved it...sometimes he wished he could escape from it. His short trips to London are the only times he's left in the past 2 years. 

Adrien knew he should head back home, so he stood up, “Well, I hope to have a safe trip.”

Tentatively, as if unsure of herself, Chloe wrapped her arms around his neck and squeezed him closer, “I’ll miss you, Adrikins.”

Adrien smiled wistfully and hugged her back, “I’ll miss you too, Chlo.”

Although she felt like his bratty sister with all her tantrums and possessiveness, she was his friend nonetheless. At least this time, she was leaving on her terms.


Bounding through the city later that evening, Chat caught sight of a scarlet and magenta-clad figure. He dropped down beside them. Similar to her unification of Tikki and Loong as Dragonbug, tiger stripes swirled around the polka-dotted pattern of Ladybug's usual suit. This time though, Ladybug’s hair was plaited in a long braid like when she was Lady Noire, but with magenta strings mixed with the blue-hued black. It was a little unsettling when he noticed her eyes had changed to the orange sclera. 

Chat leaned on his staff, smirking at her “Good evening, and who might you be? I don't believe we've met.”

Ladybug rolled her eyes and chuckled, “It’s just me kitty - I was taking a stroll with Roaar and Tikki.”

Chat matched her shorter strides, “Just making sure, I don’t know if Marinette told you this, but when I first saw Multimouse, I thought she was you.” After saying it out loud, he thought, that's strange. When she was Dragonbug or Lady Noire, I  automatically knew it was her. Right now, she still has the same essence, so why would I ever confuse her with Marinette? He would store that bit of information away to analyze later.

She looked a bit uncomfortable and forced a laugh, “No, she didn't. Not like me and her don't talk at all or anything, it's that-" She stopped abruptly, getting her bearings, "Anyway, I’ve been bonding with the other kwamis, but without a fully deciphered copy of the Grimoire, I don’t know much about their powers.”

His ears perked up, “Oh, who have you taken out so far?”

“Just Roaar.”

Chat felt a little sheepish, “Could- can I help?” He often daydreamed what it would be like if he wielded a different Miraculous. What his costume would look like or what powers he'd have. He figured she'd say no, but Chat still felt his hopes raising. 

Ladybug gave him a bright smile, “Of course, Chat. I was going to ask you anyway since you should be as familiar with them as I am. Probably you should come to visit them if possible.” She casually stepped over a chimney pot as if she didn't just blow his mind.

Without realizing it, he had stopped and jogged to catch up with her. “Aww, LB are you asking me to come home with you?” Was that too flirty?

She didn't notice and flicked his bell instead, “Not at all, you mangy cat. I'm asking you to support our kwami children, which by the way you owe kwami support.”

Chat laughed wholeheartedly. "I can help get some food for them if you like."

"Hmm. Maybe we could take turns watching on the box. I take a week, you take a week?"

"Who gets holidays?" he joked.

She smirked at him, "Are you really going to fight for Christmas Eve privileges?" 

Chat ignored the pang of pain in his chest and coughed to cover it, "Not at all, Bastille Day is much more fun. All the purr-ades and fireworks."

"Whatever you say," she replied. For a little while, they walked across the rooftops of Paris, the silence comfortable. "Hey, Chat?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you still ya know hearing people's songs?"

"Yeah, why?"

Her cheeks redden under her mask. "I was just curious...am I singing right now?"

"No, I don't hear anything." It was peacefully quiet.

"Good...I was checking you out, I mean, double-checking! That's what I meant, just double-checking." Chat gave her a warm smile, though her being flustered was foreign yet vaguely familiar; most times he would tease her about it, but this time he found it endearing.

She stopped walking and faced him, "I didn’t learn anything from Wayzz about the singing stuff, but I think we should consider visiting the Guardian’s temple soon. We can take Kaalki and open a portal there."

Derailed by this new thought process, he asked "When were you thinking?" Chat did a mental scan of his schedule, and nothing glaring popped up in his memory. “We’d also have to keep the difference in the time zone in mind.” Father usually conducted his meetings with China and Japan around 3h, that way it was morning for his clients. 

“Good point - how about we think on it for a day and then message which times would be best?” Ladybug offered.

Puur-fect, LB.”

Ladybug was fidgeting with her earrings as she spoke, “One last thing before I have to go, Chat." He pouted. Chat didn't want her to leave since they were having such a nice time, but he knew that they should probably get some rest before school tomorrow. “With the identities. I am still willing to share mine, but I do want to talk to the Guardians first, just in case. Did you decide if you’re alright with sharing? As I said, you don’t have to if you’re worried, but it’s dangerous to have a Guardian that you can’t contact or have access to. I’ve even thought about giving up the ladybug Miraculous and only being the Guardian.”

Chat's ear immediately flattened, and a hiss escaped his lips. "Absolutely not." If she wasn't Ladybug, I don't want to be Chat Noir. His tail thrashed annoyed behind him.

"Don't worry, kitty," Ladybug scratched behind his cat ear and he relaxed. "Tikki, Wayzz, and Sass talked me out of that idea. I wanted to talk and get your opinion.”

He took a breath to collect his rational thoughts, not wanting his emotions to cloud his judgment like with the Multimouse discussion. Carefully he stated, “While I could see why you acting as Guardian only would be beneficial, there are too many negatives to you not being Ladybug. To throw someone new into the role of Ladybug would put us at more of a disadvantage than we are now and more people would need to know your identity. Especially because Hawkmoth knows that Ladybug, you, are the Guardian, it would put you and the Miracle Box in more danger.”

Ladybug blinked at him, “That was surprisingly wise.”

Chat bowed, “Why thank you, LB. I'm a gentle cat of many talents.”

She punched his arm lightly, "Maybe I shouldn't have said anything, now your head will get too big.”

He playfully scoffed, "Me-owch! Excuse you, my head is just the right size, m'l- I mean Ladybug." Dang it, I was doing so well with the pet names.

This time, she didn't answer. Chat peered at her, waiting for her sarcastic quip, but found her eyes soft and wistful. Her expression had his mouth run dry, but before he could respond, she unwrapped her yo-yo, and with a brief wave, she was gone. 

Notes:

Oh no, guys, I think she might have noticed something was amiss.

The angst is back guys and I'm weirdly excited about it.

Now, for a brief word from our sponsor: Like to read, write, or draw fanfiction/fan art? Consider joining the Miraculous Fanworks Discord! Here is a link to join: https://discord.gg/9JJ49FU

Feel free to shoot me a message and say hi!