Actions

Work Header

A Guide on how to Lie, Cheat and just generally Fuck with Everybody

Chapter 2: About to throw up really, but that‘s fine

Summary:

Selina only leaned her head with those intensely looking eyes and outstretched her hand in an offer. Her nails were pretty, as was basically everything on her, painted in black and with little green cats, that she stared at ridiculed for about a minute, before she snapped out of it and shook her head.

Whatever, why was she even surprised at this point.

,,What...Are you doing,“ she asked when it felt a little too silly to be just standing there, staring at the hand like it was an alien, that had dropped down in front of her out of nowhere.

Selina smiled widely and flipped over her hand, to hold it palm downwards. She flexed her fingers and looked over her nails for a brief second, before she spoke up. ,,Offering you a mutual attachment actually,“

Notes:

I‘m baaaaack. And I wrote the Mari POV, so here have it, my darlings.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

*****

When Mari woke up in a bed, that was definetely not hers, (mostly she noticed because it smelled nice, on contrary to hers) she promptly decided that she was the dumbest human being on earth to exist.

Cursing quietly under her breath, she untangled herself from the sheets that were unfairly soft and comfortable, and tip-toed over to where her ankle boots were laying on the ground. In a speed that would have most whistle in appreciation, she tied her shoes and put on her jacket, trying not to think too much about how the cloth seemed more clean. It was probably imagination. Just her wild imagination, she was still a little sleepy after all.

Yep, that‘s it.

Carefully, she opened the door, silently praying it‘s not one of those loudly squeaking ones, and peeked behind it. The hall way was empty, no black-haired women with cake in sight, and after a few seconds of checking, she also couldn‘t make out a sound, other than her own breathing. She only allowed herself to feel mildy reassured. She was still not out of danger.

As quietly as she could, she hurried down the corridor, her eyes scanning every suspicious feature on sight, and stopped at the door of the kitchen, that she recogized easily as it had thankfully a rather noticable colour. It was bright red and impossible to miss. She exhaled only fleetingly, prepared to rush inside and leave over the same way, she had come yesterday, when she recalled what she had been doing here first to deal with.

It had been an easy decision; risk getting caught or possibly miss another two weeks of daily dishes. She had been desperate and hungry enough to risk it, as she had been due to her regular payment for one week now. It really hadn‘t been her fault, she just really hadn‘t had any luck this month when it came to stealing.

One of the purses, she had picked up at the market, had been empty safe for a few useless coupons and the cellphone, she stole, had a tracker, that forced her to abadon it in order to remain out of reach from the cops. And the last time had been by far the worst of all: She had broken into a garage and barely got out alive as the family’s dog decided to hunt her down to rip apart, so she had fleed and came back to the Orphanage without any cash and thus got no rewarding food, but a punishment instead.

And as the punishment was, it meant that she had been put on starvation for a total of two weeks, before she would have gotten to prove herself once again, which basically meant bringing something valuable that can be sold priceyly. And one week had passed now slowly, that had been spent with Georgie and Berna, trying to coax her into trying her luck with stealing again and changing Miss Oliver‘s mind with a great catch, while Jules, Colie and Odea had argued vehemetly against it, when they had met in their group’s dorms in the late evening, saying she should have waited and safed her powers.

The girls didn’t try sharing their conquests with her though, none of them was brave enough to risk the wrath of Miss Oliver on them, and she really couldn’t even blame them. If she could have prevented this misery, she would have thrown them all under the bus without any second thought as well.

And as kind and caring, they all were in the dorm at night, she knew they would gladly abadon her in a blink of an eye, if it meant saving their own asses. She had learnt that pretty early and couldn‘t bring herself to care anymore. It was the harsh, but honest reality. This was where friendship ended after all: every loyalty died in the eye of survival.

Mari shivered at the memory of the hunger, that would have been paining her right now as well, if it wouldn‘t have been for being forced to eat the cake. Her stomach had been aching the very last days so strongly, as she had been too scared to try to steal food since she felt too fucking weak and couldn’t risk getting caught, and she had thought she would die as she was unable to really breathe with how painstacking it was everytime, and frowned conflictedly, as she tried to figure out how to go on now.

On the one hand, she ate only yesterday, the sweet, unhealthy wedding cake had been a relief, if against her consent or not, and should have had enough calories to keep her alive for another two weeks or so, if she‘s lucky.

But on the other hand, she will need some succees in stealing pretty soon again, if she‘s not keen on returning to starvation (what she‘s not), so she‘ll most definetely will have to repeat this same thing another day, breaking inside and risking her life, if she won‘t just steal something right now.

And well, it wasn‘t that Selina- she pushed the aside the feeling of wrongness at the familiar use of first name- needed the money more than she did. She told her herself, didn‘t she? She flat-out revealed that she‘s an actress, so she must be swimming in gold and diamonds and cash.

But still, there is the risk of getting caught, the danger for her life. Yet also, there is the pain in her stomach, that had been her daily accompanist for a long and painful week.

She nibbled on her lip. And surely, Selina won‘t miss one necklace or two. She didn‘t need so many anyway. It would be a waste to not use the circumstances, wouldn‘t it?

Mari locked her jaw, as she realized that she didn‘t have to try to pretend like it would have went any other way. The very first second, she had stopped at the door, it had been decided that she would risk it no matter what. She just wouldn‘t go back to the hunger again, if she could prevent it. There just wasn‘t any fucking chance that would happen.

Turning on her heels, she walked back the corridor a few meters, until she reached the same door, she had come through yesterday in hope of release as well. It was open, she noticed relievedly and yet clenched her fists tightly, tense, when she craned her head to glance into the room. Only to breathe a sigh of relaxation, when she saw it was empty. Luck is on her side for once in a while; it was suspicious, yes, but also so very damn easing. She only hoped that this rare occasion of fortune on her side, will last at least until she left this building and won‘t leave her half-way.

,,Okay, Mari, here we go,“ she mumbled to herself and entered the room, defensively in her stance. Maybe it was actually obvious, considering the situation, but she didn‘t feel overly safe. More like ready to bolt really.

This time, she didn‘t try her luck on the shelf, but spun to stare at the cupboard instead. She didn‘t really want to believe herself for thinking that, but Selina‘s words might make a little more sense now, when she thought of it. Perhaps, people do like to hide their valuables in a cupboard rather than a shelf; she wouldn‘t know, as she had never had something of importance to hide herself.

The lid opened easily when she lifted it and her eyes widened in response to the greeting sight. Oh god, Selina didn‘t lie. She kept some really pretty silver ware here, that glistered in the morning light like stars. ,,Oh, jackpot,“ she hissed happily and stuffed her pockets with as much silver spoons as she could. This should hopefully convice Miss Oliver to ease the punishment, or if she‘ll catch her on a good day, stop it all together.

She didn‘t allow herself to overly hope however. Not once had Miss Oliver ever shown the needed mercy or compassion, that would be needed to stop her streak of starvation.

She bit her lips to keep from laughing giddily with her pocket‘s full, bouncing on her heels rather in glee. She couldn’t wait to see the girls‘ faces when she‘ll return. They will be happy for her surely, but one part of her will always know that they will silently bask in their envy as well. Miss Oliver will serve her the biggest dishes of all for her big succees, even if only to give her a taste of what she could have if she would keep up with the same pace forever.

Breathing once deeply to calm herself, but still with a tiny smile of victory on her face, she left the living room to stand in front of the red, kitchen door instead. She leaned her head against it hesistantly and listened intently, yet she couldn‘t hear a noise.

So she entered just as quietly as before, and felt a part of her caution drop just at the sight of the same window, that had served as her entrance yesterday. Her exit, beautiful and available; she could leave for once again with her stolen goods. She felt a wave of accomplishness surge over her, making her feel imensely proud and pressed her palms over her mouth to smoother the smug smile, that grew on her lips.

So this was like succees in risky situations felt like, she thought appraisingly and walked slowly, soundlessly deeper inside the kitchen and towards the window. She definetely liked the feeling. It was nice and curled in her chest. She felt great; prehaps the greatest even she had ever felt her whole sixteen-year-old life. A feeling of invincibility enveloped her; strong and powerful, and throughout fizzling and exciting.

Only for it to die a painful death, when she noticed the quiet chink, that could only possibly come from damn table ware hitting against each other. She froze and closed her eyes, desperately wanting follow this feeling and die as well please. Because of course, she had got reckless enough in her high-on-succees-state that she forgot to check the whole kitchen with her eyes. She was the worst thief to exist on earth, she was sure.

,,Stupid,“ she muttered angrily to herself and promptly bit her tongue to keep from screaming in frustration.

,,Ah, Mari,“ a familiar voice spoke up from behind of her, deattachedly curious and pleasant in it‘s smoothness. She hated herself for flinching at the tone and tensing at the words. ,,I had been already wondering when you would wake, dear,“

Slowly, hesistanly, Mari turned around, even if only to see her opponent in case, it decided to attack her. She had always hated not knowing her enemies enough to guess how they would react, and this right now, was even by far worse than the normal stuff in the streets. This enemy wasn’t only unpredictable, but here she didn‘t even have a weapon to defend herself as well, not even mentionned that her opponent had also home advantage and was physically more powerful.

She was, simply and kindly said, absolutely fucked.

,,Join me?,“ Selina, who was sitting gracefully in an armchair, her legs crossed, and stirring in a white, shining cup, calmly like she had all the time of the world, smiled. She looked unfairly put together in her long, feminine, green suit after that stressful night, that had gifted Mari a fuzy head ache and heavy limbs.

Mari still had in mind the picture the woman had posed just yesterday, she had been pretty and stunning of course in a black and silky bathrobe, that showed off her long, toned legs, but had looked slightly more flushed and manic as well. More human; now however, she looked just posed, no hint of discomfort, and perfect, while she gazed composedly at her with her calm green eyes and had her lips slightly tilted into a faint smile. Simply perfect, perfect and polite and never more in her life had Mari wanted to punch someone squarely in the face.

However she didn‘t, and focused on realizing that she had been ordered to sit instead. Still it really didn‘t help her indignation. ,,Why?,“ she asked instead of doing what she had been ordered to. It felt good, better to rebel, more familiar than whatever stupid softness had come over her last night.

Selina only inclined her head and took an oddly graceful (how can sipping even be graceful?!) sip on her cup, before she spoke. ,,To have breakfast of course,“

She stopped glaring, to notice that Selina was of course again, not lying. There in front of her on the table laid spread out several things, like table ware, bread, boiled eggs, she was even sure she saw jam, that stood in a rich-looking glass container.

Unwillingly, her stomach twitched and she felt sick all of sudden. The wedding cake still had her feeling full, and even if she would want to feast - she really didn‘t- she couldn‘t even eat for dear life, without then immediately wanting to puke. She refrained from sighing; those were the pains of starvation after all: a tiny hunger, but huge appetite. It was maddening, having access to food, yet being unable to have it. She wanted to break something.

,,No, thank you,“ she said back firmly and willed down the vomit that rose when she smelled the eggs. Please don‘t puke, please don‘t puke, please don‘t puke, she sang internally and embraced her waist losely, worriedly. She needed those calories after all. Her life quite literally depended on them.

,,Hmm. Water then?,“ Selina suggested and rose to her feet in one smooth movement. ,,You‘re malnutrishioned, so I can guess what you feel now after the rather fat-laden cake. Do you have sickness? An urge to throw up? Some cool water might help with that,“ the woman stepped steadily closer, but Mari too busy with gaping in surprise, didn‘t really notice until suddenly Selina was no farther than a meter away. Too close. She swore she got a sniff of something- could have been rich parfume- and stepped back when Selina made her a glass of water and offered it to her.

She glanced from the water to Selina suspiciously, her face blank and unmoving.

Whatever the fuck was going on right now had to stop. She wasn‘t some little girl that needed a big, strong adult to help her, no, she was mature and self-dependent. Independent. Point. That‘s it. No other truth. She didn‘t need anybody.

Vomit rose again in her food pipe and she pressed a fist to her mouth to push it back as it burned in her gorge. Still she admitted albeit reluctantly, one sip of water would be nice. Really nice. Just one. She grasped the glass rather quickly and drank a few relieving sips. It felt great, cooling in her throat, and brought temporal relief. She nodded curtly in gratitude at Selina, who was of course watching her intently and put it down on the counter beside her. ,,Cheers,“ she said with a croaking voice, that would have embarassed her at some point, if she wouldn‘t be about to lose her acidic gastric juices via barfing.

Selina only leaned her head with those intensely looking eyes and outstretched her hand in an offer. Her nails were pretty, as was basically everything on her, painted in black and with little green cats, that she stared at ridiculed for about a minute, before she snapped out of it and shook her head.

Whatever, why was she even surprised at this point.

,,What...Are you doing,“ she asked when it felt a little too silly to be just standing there, staring at the hand like it was an alien, that had dropped down in front of her out of nowhere.

Selina smiled widely and flipped over her hand, to hold it palm downwards. She flexed her fingers and looked over her nails for a brief second, before she spoke up. ,,Offering you a mutual attachment actually,“

She was honestly too tired at this point to even sigh properly. Mutual attachment, her ass. Fucking really? What does that even mean? Friendship? No thank you, she‘ll survive without.

Apparently her estrangement must had shown on her face as Selina raised a pointed brow and said, ,,You have something to add, darling?“ in a bland voice, that tasted like ash and sounded like honey.

Mari bit her tongue to keep from snapping that yes, she had plently to add, thank you very much, but curled her lip unamusedly. ,,I don‘t even know what to say. You‘re like so mad, that I‘m not even sure anymore,“ she uttered instead and crossed her arms.

Selina smiled again. ,,You‘re quite entertaining, Mari. Would you at least like to hear what I have to offer?,“

Harrumphing in indignation, Mari rolled her eyes. ,,No,“ Like sure, insult me, and then let‘s be best friends forever, she thought angrily and huffed. This was honestly getting kinda old already.

,,Mm. I‘ll tell you anyway,“ Mari couldn‘t hold back the snort at that. Fucking moron. ,,I‘ll allow you to stay at mines. You will be fed three times a day and will have your own room,“

She swallowed thickly, feeling something unidentifiable grow on her chest, that she felt the urge to wipe away. It didn‘t feel nice, more like conflicting really. She frowned and rubbed her throat, where it started to itch all of sudden. She hated it.

,,I will buy you clothes, proper ones,“ Selina fleetingly glanced down at that, her eyes zooming over her jacket and shirt disgustedly. She stood up straighter just to spite her and lifted her chin proudly, and somehow that seemed to make Selina grin even broader. She didn‘t need to pretend to frown, as she was actually really confused.

Like what the fuck? This wasn‘t even funny anymore, just unsettling.

Selina had her face almost blank again, when she focused back into what was happening, and nodded. ,,What do you think of dresses? Do you like them?,“ the woman asked suddenly, thoughtfully. Her eyes were scanning her body up and down, uncomfortably intense and private. She stopped herself from hunching, trying to appear smaller. This really wasn‘t the time to be uneasy; it was the time to show how little of a fuck she cared about everything. Selina seemed to like it best, when she was strong, and she needed some of those likes on her side if she was planning to make it out of here unharmed. As stupid as it was, she needed to lick that ass to survive.

,,I hate them,“ she said with a glare. She licked her lips, trying not to think of how it would be to actually really wear one. Probably uncomfortable. Tight. If she knew herself right, then she imagined that she would dislike them with a passion. Probably. Yeah, point is, it would be quite possible that she loathed them, but probably. Maybe one day, maybe, she‘ll get to find out for real.

Selina still only hummed bemusedly and tapped her lip. ,,We’ll see, darling,“

She lifted her chin provocatively and stared, trying not to blink. She felt her eyes water however rather quickly and was forced to blink, not wanting to look like she was crying in front of the enemy. Tears were a sign of weakness, and she was everything but weak. She was anti-weak. Anti-crying. She rubbed her eye to hide the watering, and withdrew a lash, that sticked to her thumb, wetly. After quick contemplation, she blew it away and looked back to Selina who never stopped watching her. Sighing now, she puffed out her cheeks. Well.

,,What‘s next?,“ she asked, at loss what to do instead to break the awkward silence after her great staring mishap and avoided those green eyes, that were practically boring a hole inside her with how attentive they were.

,,School,“ the eyes didn‘t ease their staring at all. ,,I‘ll sign you up for school. You said you‘re sixteen, didn‘t you? I‘ll sign you up into high school and you‘ll get a proper education,“ she informed her. ,,And I‘ll have you know that I expect nothing but perfect grades, I‘ll have you get tutors if needed, but you will have them,“

,,Geez,“ she muttered to herself. ,,Ease the leash, dictator,“

Selina considered her for a brief moment, and then continued. ,,And of course, you won‘t steal from me. I‘m not a pleasant person, when it comes down to this, and I will hunt you down if needed to return my possessions,“ she stared cold and serious enough, that Mari gulped thickly and shifted, feeling the silver spoons brush her stomach through those pockets.

,,Oh and I‘ll buy you a phone, if you feel the need to possess one, dear,“ Selina added and effectively broke through the sudden tension.

Mari allowed herself to breathe for a few moments, just trying to settle down her thoughts again. This whole.. thing was a lot to take in. She had been expecting to be back in the Orphanage at this point, but instead she was still here, trying to guess whatever the shit Selina was hinting at with her offers. Was she playing with her? Pitying her? She didn‘t really like either possibility, even if she could try to act on the compassion and cry her way out of here (not that she did really think it would work, because apparently actresses were great lying detectors, but still it would be worth a try). She will need to step up the game and work out a new technique. Maybe scream again. Or attack. Both very great options in her mind.

,,This is of course all very generous and all,“ she started saying and cleared her throat when her voice fucking cracked. ,,But what do you get out of this?,“ she asked suspiciously. Nobody would be nice enough to just spend money and a lot of time on her, if they won‘t get something in return. Kind people, like, they basically don‘t even exist in her world view. Or at least, don‘t exist as kind as they so supposedly were in stories and books. Maybe kind people existed here, but only with some generous arsehole genes mixed into their personalities. That she could imagine, as she was pretty sure to have one kind arsehole in front of her.

Selina smiled broadly, almost happily and clicked her tongue. ,,My, a hard one aren‘t you?,“ Mari glared to show how much appreciated the comment and Selina went on unfazedly. ,,But you‘re right I suppose, I do get something for myself out of this as well,“

Silence settled again and Mari raised her brows when there didn‘t seem to come a continuation or at the very least an explanation. ,,That is?“ she demanded slowly, tapped her finger to her thigh impatiently. She didn’t exactly have the time of a day as she had some great lunch to catch up with for her succees. Selina could at least be so kind as to speed up if she was at it.

,,Look at it, like at another experiment, darling,“ Selina explained not at all. ,,And hmm, I suppose it‘s for fun as well,“

Fun. She wanted to snort. Hosting a criminal teenager was her idea of fun.

She shook her head. ,,Kay, so whatever. You get your fun and I get my day care, nice deal, but I‘ll be forced to decline. My family‘s awaiting me for dinner, my sisters, and I have to be back as soon as possible, you know? I kind of didn‘t show up at home for a night, and I‘m sure I‘m about to get rekt anyway, so don‘t really wanna tempt my luck any more,“ she lied through her teeth and shuffled nervously.

Selina, in all her posed grace, laughed prettily. ,,Aren‘t you precious? So stubborn, willing to lie at all costs,“ she smiled amusedly and hummed. ,,Even if she‘s an orphan and it must be just a little uncomfortable to imagine actually having a family,“

,,Fuck you,“ she bit out angrily, unwilling to even think that she was right.

The answering smile was somehow even more genuine. ,,And angry, we can‘t forget angry, can we now? You‘re quite an angry girl,“

,,Just let me fucking leave so we won‘t ever meet again,“ she growled lowly, clenching her fists. ,,Just please,“

,,Leave?,“ Selina asked and smirked. ,,No, my darling Mari, you won‘t be leaving, you will be staying here, didn‘t you hear? I have everything planned out already, and I may not have any experience in looking after children, but I quite expect that you wouldn‘t appreciate mother henning anyway. I‘m positive we‘ll work out nicely,“

,,You-fucking-serious,“ she muttered, before she opened a random shelf and took a grab for the rolling pin, that was the first thing to fall in her eye. She held it up like a baseball bat and steadied her stance, ready to fight.

Selina stared at her gleefully again, but for once, she ignored it and narrowed her eyes instead, gripping the weapon tighter. ,,Still keen to keep me here, Selina?,“ she enquired and locked her jaw in tense concentration. She will fight her way out of here, if needed, but she will get back to the Orphanage to deliver. She just will.

The expression on Selina‘s face could only be described as quietly suffering delight. Selina brushed over her suit‘s jacket absently. ,,More than before actually now,“ she said and stepped forward to do something with her legs that had Mari toppling over, mostly in surprise. She fell down with an uff and laid on her back, staring up at the woman, that had a look on her face that could have been something akin to smugness while she of course readjusted her already perfect hair. ,,You see, Mari,“ she drawled out with great care and leaned over her. ,,there is one thing, that I obviously didn‘t give you knowledge off, but that is quite important apparently to convince you of my advantages.“

She smirked faintly and stretched her palm towards her, sprawled on the ground. ,,I can teach you the ways of a thief,“ she revealed and unaffectedly pulled her hand away when she didn‘t accept it.

Mari pursed her lips silently, bending her legs at the knees and leaning onto her elbows. ,,What exactly would an actress know of robbing other than playing the part? Much offense here, but you don‘t seem to need to be a criminal to have money, so obviously sorry, if I‘m still not jumping to live with you,“

Selina raised her brows in a way that was probably meant to look superior, but made her look purely curious. ,,I don‘t think that you even have a choice here, dear,“ she said and laughed shortly. ,,Your burglary skills are obviously abysmal and if you care for being alive in about a year, you should either start considering a new way of making profit or learn from someone experienced, even if it‘s only from a sillily generous and inexperienced actress,“ she informed her with a humored grin and suspiciously twitching shoulders.

Mari frowned when she realized that anyhow Selina was right again. She was horrible at stealing since like forever and actually needed help. She really wanted to bite someone with how frustrating it was. Those past years she had survived on her sheer luck, and even now it had decided to fuck with her and go help someone else instead.

,,Sure, right, makes sense, but even if, only imaginatively and by sheer curious way of thinking, hypothetically of course,“ she added when Selina‘s face moved into smugness again. ,,you would teach me, while I stay here, how do you guarantee that you won‘t kick me out at some point to leave me to survive alone in the streets again? You could totally just abadon me tomorrow and fuck it all with the promises,“

She didn‘t say that she still had the Orphanage to return to, even if she would have to spin some believable lie about her absence and beg on her knees to be accepted back. She didn‘t say that she didn‘t think, solid truthfullness or not, that it would work anyway. If Selina would kick her out just an hour or so, after their shaking hands on the deal, she honestly wouldn‘t be surprised. Angry maybe to have waisted time, but not surprised.

She never was at this point anymore.

Selina rubbed her chin, like she had actually given her something important to think about. ,,I could swear, but that probably wouldn‘t calm you as you‘re not a person of honor and neither really am I,“ she paced a little before she picked up again. ,,I could sign a contract, an official one with laws binding it and all, that won‘t have me breaking the deal, or I‘d lose a fair amount of money,“ she suggested and turned to stare at her. ,,Would you be becalmed by us signing a contract?,“

Mari startled, not having expected for Selina to actually try to find a solution. She swore internally and outwardly with feeling; Selina was actually determined to do this, wasn‘t she? Mari didn‘t know if to pity her for her really persistent affection or pity her for her long-suffering foolishness, the choice certainly wasn‘t easy.

She grimaced and decided to go with it for now at loss what to do instead. ,,I, uh, yeah, I guess,“

Selina clapped her hands once and smiled. ,,Briliant! One divide surpassed, an unhumanly lot still waiting,“ she said and flapped her hand. ,,I‘ll have the contracts ready by tomorrow morning. Now, I‘ll show you to your room, so you can take a proper look at it before we‘re leaving to buy you some pleasing clothes,“ she turned on her heels and started walking before she stopped and turned again to face her with a suddenly serious face. ,,And don‘t think I haven‘t noticed my silver sticking out of your pockets, madame. Try to steal from me, once more and I‘ll end you,“ she promised with intense eyes and left the room, silent like a shadow.

Alone now again, Mari let her head knock back against the cool floor and groaned with loud and obvious frustration.

*****

Notes:

(Wordcount 5.216)