Actions

Work Header

An Irresistible Attraction

Summary:

It is known that Princess Wang Soo is the King's favourite daughter. It is known that she is the favourite of all the Princes. But It is also known that Princess Soo has only one favourite and that is the 4th Prince.

(Princess Wang Soo is 12 when she starts getting memories of another girl from another time.)

 

Or Hae Soo is born Princess Wang Soo, beloved daughter of King Taejo and Concubine Oh, and falls in love with her brother.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: Prologue

Chapter Text

 

 

Prologue

 

 

Oh Soo Yeon’s screams of pain could be heard clearly outside the chambers in which Concubine Oh was giving birth to the King’s new child. The King himself was found pacing outside the chamber, his face pale with worry over his lover’s state at the moment. All of a sudden, the head of the Damiwon’s screams stopped and was replaced with the wailing of a newborn baby. The King’s face lit up with joy as he heard the cries of the child. A court lady went outside the chamber to inform the king about his new child.

Seeing King Taejo, the girl bowed before saying, “Court Lady Oh and the child are both healthy and well. The Royal Physician says you can enter inside, Pyeha.” It was obvious that the girl was excited that a court lady had given birth to a royal heir, but all thoughts flew as he entered the chamber where the love of his life and the child they created together were.

Soo Yeon looked tired and worn out. With exhaustion lining her sweat covered face. She tried to smile when she saw him, but it ended up looking like a grimace. The Royal Physician who was tasked with attending to Concubine Oh bowed at the entrance of the King. He followed King Taejo’s line of sight and told him, “It is normal for women to be exhausted after childbirth. You need not worry Pyeha. She will be alright.” The King nodded and went to sit beside Oh Soo Yeon, who said with tears in her eyes, “Pyeha…we have a daughter.”

A huge smile broke out on his face as he asked the midwives around for his daughter. She was brought to him enveloped in a cream silk cloth. King Taejo took the child in his arms and slowly rocked her. His eyes filled with tears as he gazed at his beautiful daughter. Her skin looked as white as snow, her eyes looked big for those of a newborn baby and she resembled her mother greatly. “She’s beautiful” the King breathed out, the tears in his eyes finally let out. Court Lady Oh looked at him with a serene smile, “She really is.”

“What do you plan on naming her, Soo Yeon-ah?” The King asked as he rocked the child in his arms.

“I wanted to name her Soo, Oh Soo, Pyeha” she replied, looking at him uneasily, but all of that flew away as she met his eyes, he smiled at her and said, “I will give her the name of my clan.”

The midwives buzzing around the royal couple and their newborn baby suddenly froze, their eyes wide with shock at what they were hearing.

“The firstborn child of Concubine Oh and King Taejo will be named Wang Soo. Princess Wang Soo.” The King proclaimed. Everyone bowed their heads in acceptance of what the king had said.

“A beautiful name, for a beautiful child.” The King whispered as he kissed the forehead of Concubine Oh.

 


 

“What news was so important that you had to immediately meet me Ji Mong? Surely he cannot be more important than the birth of my daughter.” The King said with a frown, upset that he has to be away from his love and their child.

“Pyeha this matter of importance is about your daughter.” Choi Ji Mong admitted as King Taejo stared at him in shock for a couple of seconds, before collecting his wits. He asked the astrologer, “Tell me what it is?”

The Royal Astrologer gulped before whispering, “Your daughter….she…..she has the star of a Queen. Pyeha. It is her destiny to become Queen.”

Chapter 2: I. So and Soo

Summary:

Two times So met Soo when he came to Songak.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

I. SO AND SOO

 

931AD

Manwoldae Palace, Songak

Wang So looked at Songak in awe. It had been two years since he had been here. It had been two years since his mother sent him to Shinju. He made sure she would be proud of him. He was always on his best behavior in Shinju. Royal Concubine Kang was very scary, she had beaten him a lot in the past two years, but he always pulled through, reminding himself that his real mother was waiting for him in Songak. Many nights he would cry himself to sleep, Concubine Kang’s beatings hurt a lot and he missed his mother a lot. He remembered the time he had accidentally fallen on the ground near Lake Dongji while playing with Yo-hyungnim and had scratched himself. His mother had gotten so worried and tensed. When the scratch started bleeding, he thought eomoni would start crying too. After making sure he was fine, she wiped his tears away, telling him “You’re a Yoo, you mustn’t show your weakness to anyone.” He did just that.

“Come faster.” Lord Kang glared at him as they rode their horses into the capital city. Wang So had never seen the city look so vibrant. The King had invited him because of the birth of his newborn sister. He heard that her mother was abeoji’s favorite wife. She must have been for the king to bring him back to Songak and throw such a huge celebration. His brother, Wang Jung was born last year but So had not even met him yet.

“Welcome back to the palace, 4th Prince Wang So.” The royal guards bowed to him as he nervously smiled back and entered the palace. Lord Kang and his men could not enter the palace as they were not royalty. He let out a breath of relief as he saw their horses go away from the palace gate.

His elder brother and Choi Ji Mong were waiting for him, he saw them standing nearby, looking at him with a smile. “Hyungnim!” So exclaimed as he ran towards his favorite brother, clutching onto his legs. The Crown Prince lifted his younger brother off his feet and carried him into the palace. So hugged his elder brother tightly, “I do not want to go back to Shinju, hyungnim. It is so scary there without you or eomoni. Can I please stay here?” he asked, lips trembling as he thought of leaving his brother and mother again.

The Crown Prince forced a smile on his face as he told his brother, “We will talk about that later. You should go get ready to meet the king and our new sister.”

So seriously nods at his elder brother’s words. He then turned to Ji Mong and earnestly asked, “Will you tell me the story of the Emperor and the court lady he loved again?”

Prince Mu looked confused at the cryptic smile on his friend’s face. Choi Ji Mong smiled at the little prince and replied, “Of course I will!”

 


 

A celebratory feast is held in one of the larger pavilions, only for members of the royal family. It is to commemorate the King’s new daughter’s birth. Crown Prince Mu told him that there was talk amidst the people in the kingdom, that the newborn baby was a child blessed by the heavens. Her birth coincided with heavy showers of rain in various regions of the Kingdom, leading to successful harvests all around Goryeo.

Queen Sinmyeongsunseong had claimed that she was ill and refused to attend the celebration. Her youngest child, 14th Prince Wang Jung had not attended as well.

At the head of the table sat King Taejo, who had a huge smile on his face as he saw his sons and wives seated around him. To his right sat Royal Concubine Oh, dressed in robes of dark blue and red, with gold embroidery. Despite all the jewelry she had adorned, what made her look beautiful was the bright smile on her face. She rocked the baby in her arms gently. To the King’s left sat Queen Sinjeong of the Hwangbo clan, who looked equally graceful and good looking as Concubine Oh.

The Crown Prince and the 4th Prince approached the King and bowed. Concubine Oh and Queen Sinjeong smiled at the princes and nodded their heads alongside the King. “It has been a long time since I saw you, 4th Prince Wang So” The King acknowledged.

So had a wide smile on his face as he said, “It is an honor to be here Pyeha.”

“Would you like to see your sister?” Concubine Oh asked as the young prince, who hesitantly nodded. She beckoned him to come forward and so he did, he peered down to look at his sister. ‘She has big eyes’ he thought as he looked at her. She looked really pretty, his new sister. He slowly raised his hand, wanting to see if her skin which looked so much like snow, would feel like snow too. Her big eyes stared at him as she suddenly held onto his finger and toothlessly smiled widely. The whole pavilion had gone silent and everyone was watching the 4th Prince and the new princess. She tugged on his finger and giggled, surprising everyone in the pavilion. It was truly rare for a baby to smile in the first five weeks after it’s birth.

Unknowingly, So giggled back to his sister and let her hold his finger. She was holding his finger tightly, as though she did not want him to leave. ‘I do not want to leave either’ he thought as he stared at the baby who would not stop smiling at him.

“So-ya,” Mu-hyungnim whispered as So came back to senses and realized where he was, he removed his finger from his sister’s grasp and bowed to the king, “Forgive me Pyeha, I should be more aware of surroundings.” As soon as he had gone away from the princess, she began to cry. Royal Concubine Oh rocked the baby, trying to calm her down but to no avail. She continued to cry. Wang So slowly moved towards the child and smiled at her. “Shhhhh, don’t cry.” He whispered as he let her hold his left hand. As soon as she held her orabeoni’s hand, the princess quietened down. The King, Queen Sinjeong and Concubine Oh stared at him in shock. The women did not understand how the 4th Prince was able to soothe the child with his presence alone. Meanwhile, two thoughts were simultaneously running through the king’s head. He stared at his children in shock.

“Your son, 4th Prince Wang So, has the star of a king.”

“Your daughter, she has the star of a queen.”

He would most certainly discuss it with the Royal Astrologer later. The King smiled softly as he asked his 4th son, “She is pretty isn’t she? Our Wang Soo?” So nervously smiled back as he agreed, “She’s really pretty.”

“It seems she already likes her orabeoni.” Queen Sinjeong commented. Everyone laughed at that, including So.

He spent the rest of the celebratory feast talking to his half-sister, even though he knew she could not understand his words. The girl would not stop giggling at the things he said and despite not understanding what the baby was trying to say or do, he enjoyed the evening, sitting beside Concubine Oh and her daughter. Throughout the feast, she tightly held his left hand with her soft right hand.

3 weeks later, when Prince Wang So would leave Songak for Shinju, everyone would remember how much the princess cried. When the 4th Prince would be left to rot in the dungeons of the Kang clan’s main residence. He would find peace in the memory of his sister’s smile and giggles.

 


 

935AD

Manwoldae Palace, Songak

The 4th Prince that returned to Songak 4 years later was very different from the one who had visited the palace for his sister’s birth. The 10-year-old had suffered more than anyone could imagine. He realized his purpose in Shinju was not to make his parents proud but it was to play the role of the hostage in the war between the Kangs and Yoos.

He was forced to go through all kinds of torture silently in Shinju, he, a prince of the blood. He was beaten and starved, locked in a dungeon, not knowing how many days had passed by. That smile of his sister had brightened him up and kept him strong through those years in Shinju. Although it pained him that his sister would not even recognize him, the fact that she would grow up happily in Songak kept him satisfied.

He went to his mother’s quarters but was told that she was not feeling well and that she would summon him later on. Feeling downtrodden he walked along the palace grounds and somehow had reached the grounds near the Damiwon. He had heard how Royal Concubine Oh still oversees everything that occurred in the Damiwon despite being named a royal concubine.

“So-orabeoni!” a girl’s voice shrieked in joy. So looked up to see a small girl exiting the Damiwon and running towards him. She ran into his legs but did not let it bother her as she smiled at him brightly. He would recognize that smile anywhere, it was the smile that had comforted him through his sufferings in the past 4 years.

He bent down to properly look at the girl. His little sister looked adorable, her bright eyes and smile warmed his heart. “How do you know it is me?” he asked, curious as to how she recognized him.

She looked at him as though he was a fool and pointed at the mask he had worn on the left side of his face, “You’re my brother who wears a mask.”

“Oh yes, the mask.” He felt awkward for a couple moments, but the silence was quickly broken by his younger sister, “Orabeoni, I heard you’re coming home after a long time, so I prepared a gift for you!” he stood up to dust his pants and let Wang Soo pull him by the hand.

She had brought him to the Damiwon. The place was buzzing with court ladies who were going about their duties, but each of them bowed when the royal siblings passed by them. He saw Royal Concubine Oh inform a couple of court ladies who bowed when they saw him and the princess.

“Eomma! Look who I brought!” Soo exclaimed, excited at the presence of her brother.

“It has been a long time since I last saw you, 4th Prince.” Concubine Oh warmly smiled at him. He greeted her back, “Indeed Concubine Oh.”

She looked at her daughter with fond exasperation and looked back to him, “Princess Soo has been preparing a gift for you ever since she heard that you will be arriving in Songak, a month ago.”

‘Someone had wanted to see me. I wasn’t unwanted here.’ He felt warm inside at that thought, he let out a genuine smile and honestly told, “I am sure I will love it no matter what it is.”

Concubine Oh called two court ladies and instructed them, “Show Princess So and Prince So a tearoom and make sure snacks are sent to them.” The court ladies bowed and guided him and Soo to a tearoom. So sat down in front of the table with Soo and watched on quietly as the court ladies placed snacks and tea on the table. Soo swinging her legs up and down the entire time, filled with excitement. Once they were done and took their leave, Wang Soo got up from her seat and went to stand in front of the table.

“I did not what to give you as a gift, but abeoji said that the memories are also gifts. So I prepared something.” She stood up straight and began to sing,

“I see trees of green, red roses, too,

I see them bloom, for me and you

And I think to myself, what a wonderful world.

 

I see skies of blue, and clouds of white,

The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night

And I think to myself

What a wonderful world.

 

The colors of the rainbow, so pretty in the sky,

Are also on the faces of people passing by.

Yes, I think to myself,

What a wonderful world.” Soo finished singing and smiled at him, the 4th Prince was stunned. No one had ever taken such an effort for him. Even his mother had never sung him a song.

“Did you like it?!” She asked, excited for his answer. So looked at his little sister fondly and replied, “I did not like it, I loved it.” Soo’s frown lasted for a moment before it turned to a bright grin. The girl ran and hugged her elder brother. He softly laughed and placed her on the seat beside him.

“Orabeoni, how is Shinju?” she asked as they began to eat. He would not let Shinju ruin his good mood at the moment, he looked at Soo and said, “Well, there are a lot of beautiful flowers and trees in Shinju. I even named a tree Pat-pat.”

Soo intently listened to the stories her brother had to say as both of them sipped the tea and munched on the biscuits and sweets.

 


 

936AD

Kang Clan Main Residence, Shinju

So shivered as he curled up in the corner of the dungeon that the Kangs had thrown him into. It was so cold and the clothes he was wearing were no protection against the chilly winds that entered the cell through the small window.

It must have been at least 3-4 days since he had eaten anything. The Kangs had made sure to give him plenty of water, so as to make sure that he would not die, only suffer. His stomach was cramping up from the lack of food. He would be thankful for even a morsel of food to keep him sated. He held onto his stomach as intense pain shot through his body. He fell on his back and screamed in agony. He wished his mother was here, to wipe his tears away and tell him everything will be fine.

“I miss you eomoni. I miss you so much.” He sobbed as the pain overpowered him, rendering him weak. A memory popped into his head.

“Abeoji said that the memories are also gifts.”

He slowly began to sing through the excruciating pain and cold, the song he had by hearted the moment he heard it, “I see.....trees of green, red roses, too,

I see them.....bloom, for me...and....and you

And I think to myself...., what a....wonderful....world.”

He choked up, his eyes clouding up with tears. He cried in pain, he cried in loneliness as he slowly continued to sing the song that someone had gifted him.

“I….see skies of….blue, and clouds….of white,

The bright blessed......day, the dark.....sacred night

And I....I think to myself

What....a....wonderful.....world.....

 

The colors.....of...of the rainbow, so....pretty in....the sky,

Are.....also on the fa...faces of....people.....passing by.

Yes...., I...I think....to myself,

What a wonderful world.” He finished the song through his sobs and closed his eyes, he could picture his sweet sister’s beautiful smile. It was that smile and that song that had provided him warmth through the night as he repeated the song over a hundred times. And when he passed out in the morning, the last words he had uttered were of the little girl hundred leagues away from him, who had unknowingly provided him a safe haven.

“Wang Soo”

Notes:

The song Soo sings for So is 'What a wonderful world' by Louis Armstrong. Hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Chapter 3: II. The Royal Family

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

II. THE ROYAL FAMILY

 

938AD

Manwoldae Palace, Songak

He returned to the palace 3 years later, and while he was physically bowing to the king and replying to his questions, his mind was on the now 7-year-old girl, his half-sister. And as soon as the king allowed him to leave, he marched right into the Damiwon, frightening the 10th Prince who was playing with his toys.

“Where is Princess Wang Soo?” he asked one of the passing court ladies, who looked up at the 13-year-old and stuttered, “Her Highness…is..is..at the..the..pavilion outside of..of…the Damiwon.” He nodded at the court lady, who bowed and all but ran away. He rolled his eyes at that and left the Damiwon in search of his little sister. He found her with his younger brother Baek ah, both of them laughing over something. He tried to ignore the pang of jealousy he felt at that, ‘Of course she has other friends apart from you, you return to the palace once every two-three years.’

Baek ah was the first one to notice him, “Hyungnim!” He got up and bowed, Soo looked up at him and smiled widely, even from the distance he could see her eyes sparkle, “So-orabeoni!” she exclaimed as she ran towards him, clutching her chima tightly in her hands, to make sure she does not trip on it. Soo wrapped her arms around him and hugged him tightly and So felt as though everything was right in the world. She beamed at him brightly and Wang So could not help but return the smile. The 13th Prince stood where Wang Soo had left him, surprised at the smile on his brother’s face. He had heard only rumors of the mask on his face and his cruelty, he had not believed them because rumors were just that, rumors. But then again, every rumor did have a hint of truth to it and he was Queen Yoo’s son, so he learned to be wary of his 4th brother, but seeing his brother being like this with Soo did quell the doubts he had in his mind a slight bit.

So took Soo in his arms and spun her around, the sound of Soo laughing freely feeling like music to his ears. Baek ah watched on, shocked at what he was seeing. He never did expect that his 4th brother was this close to his youngest sister.

“How are you orabeoni?” The 7-year-old asked her brother, who mussed up her hair and admitted, “I have been fine, although, the long days of travel have worn me out.”

Soo frowned and pulled So towards the Damiwon, “Eomoni can make you mint tea, she gave me mint tea when I was feeling tired after playing with Eun-orabeoni and Jung-orabeoni.”

The 4th Prince pouted and Baek ah’s eyes widened further, “But I’m tired because I rushed to Songak. I was so excited as to what my little sister had prepared for me.” Soo’s face brightened up at that and she could not help but giggle, “This time, I prepared a proper gift for you!” she exclaimed.

It was when his 4th brother grinned at their younger sister and carried her on his back to the place where she had prepared his gift that Baek ah decided that all those scary rumors about his elder brother were not true at all. He could see how his little sister hero-worshipped their brother, so he could not be that bad.

“Wait for me!” Baek ah yelled and ran behind the Princess and the 4th Prince, who were in their own world as all three of them made their way to the pavilion near Lake Dongji.

Baek ah silently watched as Wang So answered all the questions Soo had for him about the past three years that he had not visited the palace. He noticed that even his 4th brother looked surprised when Soo had asked if the 4th Prince was happy or if he ate well.

Baek ah was surprised to see that the pavilion was filled with court ladies bringing in tea and pastries. He looked at Wang Soo questioningly, who had just been put down by her elder brother. “Eomoni must have found out that orabeoni returned to Songak.” She explained.

“Thank you!” Soo smiled at all the court ladies in gratitude as they left the pavilion after bringing in oil and honey pastries and loose-leaf tea. She pulled her 4th brother by his hand towards a table in the center of the pavilion which had two navy blue ornate boxes on it. The Princess placed them in the 4th Prince’s hands and sat down in one of the seats placed. She finally looked at her 13th brother and said, “Baek ah-orabeoni, sit down and have the pastries and tea.” Wang So turned around and nodded at his younger brother. Baek ah and So sat down in front of Soo.

So looked at Soo questioningly, “How did you know that I enjoy these pastries and tea?” Soo grinned, “I asked abeoji about it so that I could prepare something special for you.” So felt warm when he realized that his father knew about his likes and dislikes.  

Noticing Soo’s expectant stare, So decided to open the boxes before eating. He took the smaller box first and opened it to find a navy-blue ring, the Hanja characters of his name was engraved on the inside of the ring. He looked up to see Soo looking extremely excited, “Orabeoni open the other box!” she exclaimed. Wang So fondly smiled at his little sister and opened the bigger box. A beautiful hairpin and a hairband was there, he looked up at Soo in surprise.

“Well many men here wear the hairband and they put the hairpin through it, so I thought it would suit you too.” Soo sheepishly told, Wang So smiled brightly as he replied, “Thank you Soo-ya, I love the presents that you’ve gifted me.”

“Really?!” Soo exclaimed, looking extremely pleased with herself and when So nodded in affirmative, the girl hopped off her seat and hugged her elder brother tightly. Wang So grinned and lifted the 7-year-old girl up and placed her on his seat, next to him. He looked up to see his stunned half brother and hesitantly smiled at him, “You may eat, you do not have to wait for me to start.”

‘I am going to be close to So-hyungnim too’ Baek ah decided as he bowed his head in reply, “Thank you hyungnim!” and began eating the snacks on the table.

 


 

The summer quickly passed amidst Soo’s giggles, Baek ah’s awful jokes and So’s fond exasperation at the antics of his younger siblings. The entire palace watched on as the three siblings quickly developed a close bond. After hearing about Queen Consort Sinmyeongsunseong not meeting her own son, Royal Consort Oh took it upon herself to take care of the 4th prince.

“You three spend too much time outside.” The Royal Consort chided as the three children entered Damiwon Palace. She noticed how the 4th Prince was breathing heavily, concerned she went to the young prince. She bent down and looked over him for any injuries. She tenderly placed her hand on his right cheek, “Are you hurt? Did you fall down anywhere, Your Highness?” she asked the boy, whose eyes widened at the concern in the consort’s voice.

“No..no…I just..carried..Baek ah and Soo-ya back..” He stuttered, surprised, and confused at what was going on. Royal Consort Oh got up and glared at Soo and Baek ah before knocking on both their heads, “Your brother is only older to the both of you by 4-6 years, you should not tire him like this.” She chided both the children who apologetically looked at their elder brother as they apologized at the same time,

“I am sorry hyungnim.”

“I am sorry orabeoni.”

Wang So smiled at Royal Consort Oh and both of his younger siblings before saying, “It is alright Gwibi Mama, I did it because I wanted to. It is not their fault.” The concubine’s gaze softened at that as she said, “You must be tired, I have prepared lunch to be served here, all three of you can eat and tell me all about what you have been up to.” She smiled at the kids and gestured for them to follow her to one of the tearooms.

“Your eomoni is going to eat with us?” So asked Soo nervously, she nodded with a smile, “Eomoni and I almost always eat together, it is fun that way. Why? Does Queen Sinmyeonsunseong not eat with you?” she curiously looked at him, before he could reply, Baek ah said, “My eomoni, Queen Shinseong and I often eat together.”

So’s face slightly fell at that. After he had been adopted to the Shinju Kang Clan, his mother had never called him for a meal with her, but his siblings enjoyed meals with their mothers all the time. He could not help feel jealous. His siblings who got the attention of their parents easily. He wondered how it would feel to dine with his mother. Silently sighing, he pulled the distracted kids along with him and followed the court lady.

The trio entered the tearoom set by Royal Consort Oh to find huge platters of food.

“Make yourselves comfortable.” Royal Consort Oh smiled softly before seating herself at the head of the table. Baek ah and Soo at either side of the royal woman and So sat on Soo’s left. She smiled at him brightly before looking at her platter.

“Thank you for the food!” All of them chorused and began eating.

So watched on as Soo began to talk animatedly about how the three of them were running around, trying to catch each other in the gardens. Royal Consort Oh listened on to her daughter’s tales fondly. So could not help but wish that he could do that too. That he could rush into his mother’s arms and she would look at him fondly as he told her how his day has been. Royal Consort Oh looked at the sullen 4th Prince from the corner of her eye. She could see that he was upset by something.

“Your Highness, Do you like meat?” She interrupted her daughter with a question to the 4th Prince, who looked up from his plate in surprise. He hesitantly nodded in reply to the question. Royal Consort Oh smiled at the prince and placed a piece of meat on top of the bowl of rice in front of the 4th Prince. His eyes bulged out even more as he took in her gesture.

“Tha..thank you, Royal Consort Oh” He stammered. The Royal Consort smiled at the young prince. The 4th Prince allowed a small smile to form on his face as he continued with his meal.

Later on, once the royal siblings had left, Royal Consort Oh called one of her senior court ladies and instructed her, “Whenever I ask you to invite Princess Wang Soo for a meal, an invite should also be sent Prince Wang So.” The court lady nodded and bowed.

It was obvious to the court lady that the prince was lacking a mother figure in his life, so she decided to take care of him as though he was her own son. While she was initially put off with him being so close to her Soo being Queen Yoo’s son, she now knew that he was nothing like his birth mother. With the woman neglecting him badly, it would only be right for her to take care of her daughter’s favorite brother.

 


 

939AD

Wolf Den, Shinju

Wang So could barely breathe with how exhausted and wounded he was, he had spent the whole night fighting, fighting with wolves in a wolf den. The biggest one in all of Shinju.

The Kang Lord had left him in there to die, but So had refused to accept that at his fate, so he fought. He burned down his favorite tree, the one he would talk to whenever he was feeling lonely. He burned it down and used it to fight the wolves. They clawed at him, tried to bite him but he continued to fend them off.

The battle he was fighting was of life and death, and he would not lose this battle, because to lose this battle would be to die. He will live, and he will see the disappointment on the faces of the members of the Kang Clan and relish in it.

He was the son of the founder of this country, he was the 4th son of King Taejo, he was the 4th prince of this land and the heavens be damned he refused to die like this. He would survive and thrive. He fought and fought and fought, but the wolves kept on coming. It was as though there were thousands of them in this mountain.

His limbs and chest hurt and he was bleeding everywhere. Just as a thought of giving up pierced his mind, a memory of his departure from Songak came to his head.

Wang Soo hugged her elder brother tightly, as though she did not want to let him go, away from Songak, away from the palace, away from her.

“I will be back soon Soo-ya, don’t worry.” So whispered reassuringly as he pulled back from the hug. She looked at him with tears in her eyes as she choked out, “You..promise..you’ll be..back, orabeoni?”

The eyes of the royal guards, Royal Consort Oh, Crown Prince, and the 13th Prince softened as they saw the sweet exchange between the royal siblings.

“I promise I will be back, alright? Do not cry now and smile widely.” Soo smiled through her tears and nodded her head.

He wanted to see that smile again. Wang Soo who always smiled so brightly for me. He promised her he would see her again, he refused to break that promise. With that, he faced the wolf coming at him head-on. The Wolf howled in agony as he burned it with the log of wood in his hand that was lit up with fire. Wang So’s eyes burned in rage and agony as he kicked the wolf away and turned around to see if any other wolves were coming to fight him, but to his surprise, he found none. He let himself fall down and rest for a minute.

He took a couple of deep breathes in and picked up up the burning wooden log in his hand, looking around to find a way out of this hell of a place. He got up and moved, the dark forest coming alive with the burning glow of the fire in his hand.

It was then that he heard the sound of someone calling him, “Your Highness! Are you there?!” immediately, another voice followed, this one he recognized, “Your Highness! 4th Prince Wang So! Where are you?!” Lord Kang called out. ‘They have come to find my corpse, mauled by wild wolves’ he thought as he walked towards the sounds of the people.

So could not even yell back with how dry his throat was, so he settled to run towards the noises instead.

“Your Highness!” Lord Kang said and looked completely shocked and displeased when the 4th Prince himself showed up in front of him, baring his teeth at the Kang Lord. His nephews and men were standing behind him as the prince made his way down to them.

“You…have…failed….I…still….live..” So rasped out and glared at the man in front of him, rage all over his face.

 


 

939AD

Manwoldae Palace, Songak

Royal Consort Oh looked shocked at what she had heard from the court ladies, who were shivering in fear. She turned to look at them and slowly repeated what they had said, “The 4th Prince, hunted all the wolves in Shinju, ruthlessly.”

“Yes Gwibi Mama,” They said and continued to look at the Royal Consort, who looked like she was going to kill someone, “Is Pyeha in the courtroom?” She finally asked after a couple of moments, one of her senior court ladies nodded in response. Royal Consort Oh raised her head and walked towards court, her silk robes trailing behind her.

The court ladies looked at each other in fear as the Royal Consort climbed the steps of Cheondeokjeon. It was known that the royal women were not supposed to interrupt the court proceedings, yet here their lady was. The Royal guards stationed outside looked nervous as they opened the doors to the entrance to Cheondeokjeon. She entered and walked straight towards the door which led to the throne room.

She looked at the eunuchs positioned outside the room and told, “Announce me.” They both looked at each other hesitantly before saying, “Gwibi Mama, Pyeha is holding court at the moment-”

“Announce. Me.” She repeated as she clenched her jaw and the eunuchs realized it would not do well to enrage the Royal Consort further.

“HER HIGHNESS, GWIBI MAMA, ROYAL CONSORT OH IS ENTERING!” The doors opened and the Royal Consort marched into the throne room. Most of the men at court flinched when the saw the pure murder and rage burning in her eyes.

“I would like to speak to you Pyeha.” She said after she bowed in front of the king. The King sighed, knowing why the Royal Consort had barged in, “Court dismissed.” He announced and all the ministers at court all but ran outside.

“Bring him back to Songak.” Royal Consort Oh ordered, seeing no response from him, “Bring the 4th Prince back to Songak!” She raised her voice, glaring at King Taejo.

“HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS, JEONHA, THE CROWN PRINCE IS ENTERING!” Eunuchs announced and the Crown Prince entered, looking as angry as Royal Consort.

“You have to bring So back to Songak. He has suffered too much and for too long, for a crime he did not even commit.” He told his father, tears of anger and anguish burning in his eyes.

“Silence! Both of you! You both know that I cannot do anything about it. He cannot come back to Songak.” The King grounded out from his seat on the throne.

“Did you not hear the rumor that the Kangs have been spreading? That he hunted all the wolves in Shinju for entertainment. Do you know what I understand from that? The Kangs shoved him inside the biggest wolf den in all of Shinju and let him be mauled by the wolves. It is a miracle that he is alive, a testament to his resolve. He must have spent the night fighting the wolves. How can you not do anything?! How can you not do anything to the Shinju Kangs who have done this to your son?!” Oh Soo Yoon shouted, anger at how the boy was treated.

The Crown Prince nodded in agreement, “Pyeha, you know that he was treated just as a hostage. He is a prince of the blood, he is my younger brother and I refuse to see him suffer anymore. Bring him back from Shinju. I cannot watch him hurt like this anymore.”

“You have already failed in your duties as a father by destroying his childhood, do not fail in your duties as king, and protect him Pyeha.” Crown Prince Mu went on his knees and bowed. The Royal Consort joined him.

King Taejo’s heart ached when he heard his eldest son say that he had failed in his duties as a father. He knew what the Shinju Kangs did was not right, and they would have to be punished for it, but he could not do it publicly. He rubbed his head and told his beloved and son, “I will send Grand General Park to take the 4th Prince from Shinju and to the borders where the 4th Prince will learn martial arts from Grand General Park. Taxes will be tripled on the Shinju Kangs for the next 6 years.”

“Great is your benevolence, Pyeha!” Royal Consort Oh and Crown Prince Mu had breathed in relief.

The King of Goryeo looked down and told, “Princess Soo is not to hear about what happened to the 4th Prince from anyone.”

 

Notes:

You may notice that everyone refers to Court Lady Oh as Royal Consort instead of Concubine. This is to show her rise in rank. Royal Consort is the rank directly below the Queen Consort, which is the highest rank King Taejo would be able to give her because she isn't noble-born.

Chapter 4: III. The Aftermath

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

III. THE AFTERMATH

 

939AD

Forest near the Kang Clan Residence, Shinju

Wang So had run away from the Kangs, who stated that they wished to escort him back to the residence and treat his wounds. He refused to give the clan another chance to kill him, so he ran away from all of them and hid in the forests, knowing that they would not come this way. While doing so he had protected himself from the Shinju Kangs, it would be a complete waste if he had succumbed to the wounds and burns that littered around his body.

As far as So could remember, it had been roughly 3-4 days since he had escaped from the hands of the Kangs. Wang So had no clue as to how to treat his injuries, never having the opportunity to learn it.  

“Your wounds are going to start festering if you do not get them treated, Prince So.” The 4th Prince snapped up to stare at a man with a nasty scar across his face. So stepped back and stared at him suspiciously.

“King Taejo heard of what happened and sent me to you. I was going to walk up to the Kang Clan’s Residence, but Royal Consort Oh said that I would find you in the forest rather than the Residence. It seems she was correct.” He felt a warm sensation flowing through him at knowing that his father and Consort Oh had sent someone to take care of him and protect him, but at the same time, he could not help but feel suspicious.

‘What if this was another plot by the Kangs to kill me? I need to go back to see Soo, she will be so upset if I do not see her again.’ So thought, fear filling him at the thought.

“How do I know that this is not another scheme but the Shinju Kangs to have me killed?” His eyes were glued to the stranger in front of him, waiting for a response.

The man chuckled, before pulling what seemed to look like a letter, from his hanbok, “It is good that you kept your shield up and questioned me before proceeding. It proves that you have your senses up. Royal Consort Oh said that you are close to her daughter, the Princess Wang Soo. She personally wrote a letter for you; I assume you’ll recognize her handwriting?”

“I will.” Wang So muttered. Of course, he would recognize Soo’s handwriting, considering the matter that it was him who taught her calligraphy and how to write beautifully. He went slightly closer to the man and snatched the parchment from his hand, feeling slightly surprised when he noticed that there was another, smaller parchment attached to it.

 

 

To my most beloved and favorite brother (do not tell Baek-ah orabeoni!),

How have you been So orabeoni? It has been over a year since I last met you. I really wanted to celebrate the day of my birth with you, but eomoni said that you cannot come all the way to Songak just for my birthday. I missed you a lot, but nonetheless, I had a lot of fun with the other orabeonis and unnies. I promise I missed you a lot! I hope wherever you are, you are having fun too. Baek-ah orabeoni got really jealous when he found out that I could send you a letter, but he was not allowed to. It was extremely funny seeing him so upset about it. I have been preparing bigger gifts for your return to the Capital. It is so amazing that I know for sure that you will like it! I have also been practicing my calligraphy as of late. I even sent a copy of the last poem that we did together. Jung-ie orabeoni said that my handwriting has gotten better, but I think it has not changed much. Do let me know how it is! I hope you eat well and take care of yourself properly and know that your sister loves you a lot. I hope to see you very soon!

Your most darling sister,

Soo

So immediately opened the second piece of parchment and saw the poem that he had taught Soo previously.

 

 

Grey willow trees that by the river sway,

Green reeds that whisper to the pebbled sand,

Will you not weep for her?

Wind that blows through the forest day by day,

River that flows so swiftly to the sea,

Did you not hear her cry?

Over the meadow, gay with iris flowers,

She sped; but, all in vain, she came too late.

Will you not weep, blue flowers?

Tears filled his eyes and a contradictory smile formed on his face as he saw Soo’s handwriting on the parchment, near identical to his. He was sure that no one would be able to differentiate between his calligraphy and Soo’s, and the prince was not sure why it made him so happy, but it did.

“She does not know about what happened, does she?” He asked the older man, who shook his head in denial, “The King did not see it fit to inform her of it, that she was too young to understand matters like this.”

A comfortable silence reigned for a couple of moments, as So tried to understand everything.

“Do you believe me now, Your Highness?” The man’s voice snapped him out of his memories with Soo and Baek-ah at the Songak Palace.

“I do.” He whispered.

The man grinned at his reply before straightening up and walking closer to him, “I am Grand General Park and I have been put in charge of training you in the Art of War from this day forth. But before we go into all of that, I really believe that we need to get your wounds treated.”

 


 

943AD

Manwoldae Palace, Songak

“Greetings to you, abeoji.” Princess Soo bowed in front of her father, the King Taejo. She had been informed by her mother that her father had asked her to come to court today, so here she was, in a beautiful pink hanbok, standing in the throne room.

King Taejo comfortingly smiled at her before announcing, “Many a noble ladies and lords are fostered with other families to build a strong kinship between the two noble clans. After a discussion with the Hae Clan’s leaders, it has been brought to my attention that the Lady Hae Myung Hee is of your age and is of a kind disposition. As such, You will be fostered there for the next couple of years.”

Soo stared at her father in shock, of all the things she had expected, this had most definitely not been on the list. She too was being sent away, just like her older brother was.

“Of course, you are free to return to Songak for short durations whenever you wish to. But I do hope you enjoy your fostering at the Hoengseong Hae Clan.”

Despite being awfully shocked and terrified, she noticed that there were many an official in court and that it would be appropriate for a Princess to throw a fit or act rude in court, so she bowed and answered, “I am overjoyed at this news, Pyeha.”

 

Notes:

So the poem mentioned here is 'From the Valley'. It is a very old Korean poem, around 1200 maybe. The date is unspecified, but it is similar to the poem that comes on in the drama, so let's just imagine that it was written before 900.

I hope you liked this chapter! Your comments always motivate me to write!

Chapter 5: IV. The Interlude

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

IV. THE INTERLUDE

 

944AD

Hae Clan Residence, Hoengseong

It has been little over a year since Soo had come to Hoengseong, to be fostered at the Hae Clan. She spent her days in lessons with Lady Hae Myung Hee, who she now affectionately took to calling ‘Myung Hee Unnie’ and took to running around the beautiful gardens in Hoengseong.

While initially the Hae Clan was not pleased that they were sent a Princess whose mother was a Concubine with no clan backing, Soo had managed to win them all over with her charming personality. Although she was the closest to her Myung Hee Unnie, who was The Lord Hae’s eldest daughter. She was also close to Myung Hee’s older brothers Lord Hae Myeong, who was the heir to the clan and Lord Hae Jeon Hin, the second son. Despite the age gap between her and the others, all of then enjoyed each other’s company greatly, to the point where it would not be an understatement to say that they were all always attached at each other’s hip.

Although, despite all the fun she was having at Hoengseong, she could not help but miss her older brother, who always spun her around and carried her on his back. Her precious So orabeoni who always adored her and played with her. Whose dark eyes lit up whenever he saw a gift, she had prepared for him.

Soo had wanted to maintain some form of a correspondence with her elder brother, but he was training under Grand General Park, and because of that he was constantly at the borders of Goryeo. Due to which she could not exactly write letters to him.

It was frustrating, but if there was anything Wang Soo was truly best at, it was waiting.

There was also the matter of the dreams she had been having. It was so strange. It was like a whole other world. Instead of hanoks there were tall and big towers all across the place. No one wore hanboks there, but rather some strange form of chima which was at least shortened to their knees. Soo did not think it was appropriate for women to be showing their ankles like so to men.

And while the world looked strange, how it was, was even stranger. In that world, no one was bound by their birth, but rather, had the right to dream and to become what they wished to, to choose a path that was not influenced of anything but their wishes. It was beautiful, and while Soo loved the world she was living in, she could not help but long to go to that world.

However, she did have suspicions that these were not dreams, but were actual visions that she was seeing from another life. The possessor of the eyes she was seeing that other world through, was named Go Ha Jin and the woman looked like an older version of herself. Perhaps it could be that this Go Ha Jin was a reincarnation of herself.

“Soo-yah!” The voice of Hae Myung Hee brought her back from her thoughts she had descended into.

“I am here near the pond unnie!” Soo called back, getting up and dusting her chima, right in time for Myung Hee to appear with a smile on her face, her cheeks glowing a healthy pink.

If there was anything good and productive that came out of the visions (visions? dreams? Soo was not sure what to call it.) it was the concoctions that Go Ha Jin knew to make. Myung Hee had been born with a hereditary illness, to which no healer or physician in all of Goryeo could find a solution. However, Soo had changed all of that with what she had made. Although at first, the Hae clan had thought that she was just fooling around with her claims. A week after Myung Hee had started taking a daily dosage of 2 cups of the medicine she made, everyone had believed Soo. For Myung Hee recovered at a fast pace. Her pale face had begun to have a healthy glow, she could run and walk around fast without tiring herself easily, and more!

It resulted in the Hae clan looking at Soo as though she was a gift sent to them, and quickly sent a letter to Songak, praising her and telling how Soo was blessed by the heavens in healing. Of course, word spread around Goryeo that the Princess Soo was blessed by the heavens, and now everyone around her treated her as though she was incredibly precious and important, something she was not sure how to feel.

Pyeha has invited us to court!” Myung Hee exclaimed, brightening up Hae Soo’s eyes.

“You have brought delightful news Myung Hee unnie, but why are we being invited to court?” Soo enquired out of curiosity.

Myung Hee smiled at the younger, “It seems Pyeha misses his darling daughter.”

 


 

944AD

Goryeo’s Northern Border

“Haven’t you heard? Word around the kingdom is that your younger sister is the gift of the heavens to Goryeo and the Royal Wang clan.” Grand General Park commented, looking sideways at So as he continued to survey the young soldiers training under him.

Wang So quirked his eyebrow, "Which younger sister of mine has earned such repute?"

"Who else but the King's favorite, Grand Princess Wang Soo."

The 4th Prince chuckled, a small yet soft smile forming on his sharp face at the mention of Soo, surprising everyone around him.

“That does not surprise me. Perhaps when you meet her, you shall know why I say so. She is truly incredible our dear Princess Wang Soo.”

His fellow soldiers watched on in shock as the 4th Prince shook his head, grinning at the mention of the princess. To everyone, the 4th Prince Wang So had always been a cold but capable figure, who would only talk if need be, but was incredibly talented with the sword. As a result, while everyone respected him, no one was brave enough to become friends with the Prince and get to know him better.

Grand General Park slightly smirked at the look on Wang So’s face before looking at the men under his command, “Attacks at the Northern Border are increasing day by day, I want all of you in your best form to withstand against them! I will NOT accept losses from my soldiers, is that clear?!”

“YES GRAND GENERAL!”

 

Notes:

and i'm back~

it feels good to be back, i've missed writing for this fandom and i've missed reading all the lovely comments all of you leave under my works. i don't know if anyone is still there, or remembers any of my work, but i intend to finish all of these, and maybe even put out a new work for this fandom ;)

next chapter: to songak!!

Notes:

I really should stop posting new works when I have older, incomplete ones but this is something that I just could not resist uploading. Since I want to focus on A play of time and meaningless without you more. I probably won't update this book properly until I'm done with A Play of Time. Also, this has got to be the shortest prologue I've written lol

Series this work belongs to: