Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2020-06-20
Completed:
2020-07-22
Words:
62,831
Chapters:
14/14
Comments:
153
Kudos:
1,155
Bookmarks:
264
Hits:
23,695

The Hale Academy for the Young and Gifted

Chapter 12

Notes:

Sorry this is so late and so short, but I hope you enjoy! We get a glimpse at everyone’s powers here so Im excited :) Big things happening in these next few chapters

Chapter Text

Stiles Stilinski was raised a good child. He did his homework on time, paid attention in class, never spoke back to adults, and was tucked in bed an hour after dinner time with his mom and dad kissing him goodnight. He had lived a mundane life, the only interesting part being his new pet turtle that sat in the tank opposite his dresser, and the fact that his mother had superpowers to make anything move with her mind.

The world didn’t know about Uncommons, though, so outside of the house he was still normal. Only those who were uncommon, or knew people who were kept the secret. The government knew about them too, something that always made Stiles’s stomach uneasy when he occasionally accompanied his mother to her annual psychological evaluation at the local administration building. Apparently living life amongst the common called for Uncommons to be periodically tested to ensure they kept their powers under control. He had heard about the schools that prepped uncommon kids for the real world, and how his mother had attended one in her “glory days”, meeting Noah after she finally graduated and was able to go to a normal university.

Stiles would go to bed dreaming about the schools for the uncommon and what his time would be like when he got there. He was going to be a telekinetic like his mom, he just knew it, and he’d become so popular at his fancy boarding school, make so many friends, maybe even save the world one day as a superhero.

After his powers didn’t manifest, the good child was thrown out the door. He started at an ordinary high school with common kids just like him, and the disconnect from who his mother was sparked feelings of loneliness. To ease the pain, he turned to drugs and alcohol, opting to get high or drunk every weekend instead of studying for his tests. He was always good at avoiding his sheriff father by listening in on police scanners and paying attention to what dealers the cops had their eyes on.

Stiles never really had any true friends. He was in the carefully constructed social group of potheads and sex junkies, only choosing to spend their time together passing a blunt or screwing anything with two legs. Stiles never really felt like he belonged there either, though, but Heather made it a little bit more bearable. She fed into his vulnerability, sparking a life of rebellion and anti-sobriety. When he lost her, he lost everyone from that crowd, finding out that they only really tolerated him to keep her around.

Part of Stiles’s childhood dream had come true at the Hale Academy, though. He had made amazing friends already, ones he trusted and cared about so deeply after only a week of knowing each other. Everyone had a story and an ability to go with it, which immediately made them fit together as different pieces to the same puzzle. Neither Scott, nor Lydia or Malia or Theo or any of them judged Stiles for coming in later than most kids. They didn’t question why his powers came so late, only stood by his side as he navigated the truth behind how much strength was stored inside of his pale, lanky body. Stiles would do anything for them now, which is why his overwhelming need to save Isaac took over autopilot.

Back to the present, he gaped at the door that had come off so cleanly and smashed to the ground with a loud bang. He actually just did that. He moved a hunk of steel with his freaking mind. It was the first time Stiles had used his powers successfully, and oh what a rush it was. “You did it!” Isaac exclaimed, running out to tackle Stiles in a hug.

“Holy shit...I did it,” Stiles said in awe, his brain trying to catch up with his body after what just happened. “How...the fuck...what?”

“I don’t know how, but what I do know is we need to get out of here,” Isaac said and grabbed Stiles’s arm, pulling him down the hall. An alarm had started to go off throughout the building and was deafeningly loud, which meant the DUA knew there was a break in.

The pair turned around corner after corner, stopping when more guards came running at them. “Stiles!” Isaac yelled.

Without hesitation, Stiles swiped his arm through the air mid-run and every man went flying to the walls, backs hitting concrete with a painful crack. “Fuck!” Stiles hollered, and Isaac grabbed him to keep running past the unconscious men. “Did I kill them? Shit, I didn’t right?”

“No, you didn’t kill them,” Isaac laughed and just kept pulling his friend along. Stiles was riding a high of adrenaline, a control overtaking his body like never before. They ran until they came to the elevator, Derek and Malia nearly running into them. The wolf immediately took Isaac into a bone-crushing hug and the friends embraced for a second, but everyone knew their time was limited.

We’re at the top of the elevator!” Lydia yelled in the earpiece. Stiles nearly burst an eardrum from her loud voice.

Sure enough, once the four friends arrived on the ground floor, Scott and Lydia appeared out of thin-air, becoming visible again from Scott’s powers. “Theo and Liam led the guards away from here,” Scott said, ushering everyone out of the elevator. His eyes landed on Isaac then, and in three strides he stomped up to the boy and laid a bruising kiss on his lips. Isaac melted into the touch, a smile growing on his face when they separated.

“How sweet,” Lydia cooed. “But save the reunion for the car, okay?”

They all quickly nodded and stood on high alert again. “Everyone grab each other,” Scott said, fingers interlocking with Isaac’s. Isaac grabbed onto Derek, who held Stiles, then Malia and Lydia. All of a sudden, everyone in front of Stiles’s eyes started to change. Because he was invisible too, he could see each individual, but they were translucent like glass sculptures.

“Woah,” he said with a laugh. “This is like an acid trip, Scotty. You get to experience this all the time?” Scott nodded excitedly and the train of bodies slowly made their way along the sides of the wall, careful to not let a limb escape into the middle as agents ran back and forth. It was working perfectly with Scott’s abilities. The exit door was in sight.

Right before Scott could reach out and open it, though, an agent and large guards blocked the exit. The agent seemed to be looking right at the group somehow. Then he reached into his pocket, held something in his hand, and threw it into the air. A dust of who knows what settled onto the group, causing them to cough and separate, Scott’s invisibility failing.

“I assume these are your friends Mr. Lahey,” the man said in a condescending tone. Stiles turned to Derek with panic in his eyes, fearing they were caught now and the mission was failing. He managed to read the badge on the agent’s chest: Dr. Michael Hawes.

“Let us go,” Stiles stepped forward and spoke with courage he didn’t know he possessed. “Isaac is innocent.”

“Then you don’t mind me asking which one of you isn’t?” Hawes said with a grin. “I understand you are all...special individuals. One of you, however, is a danger to society, and it is my job to protect the people.”

“You mean the commons,” Derek spoke up, a low growl under his words. “No one here cares about us. You’d lock us all up if you could.”

The doctor clasped his hands behind his back, not finding Derek’s furrowed eyebrows and snarl intimidating in the least. “You’re right,” he said. “I would. That would normally be against the ethical protocols of the department. However, I am running a government-approved investigation and as of right now, all of you are on my suspect list after breaking into this facility. That gives me every right to hold you here.” He gestured to the men around him. “My colleagues here have tranquilizer guns. Non-lethal, but still very painful. I advise you all to come willingly so they won’t have to use them.”

“We’re not going anywhere with you,” Malia scoffed, fists tightening at her side. Everyone else nodded in agreement.

The agent laughed, the men around him joining in. “You kids think it was seriously this easy to break in and out of a government facility?” Hawes asked. “I’ve been dealing with your kind a lot longer than you’ve been alive. If Isaac isn’t the one I’m looking for, we’ll just have to find out who is, and now you’ve allowed for that to happen.” He waved his hand, then all of the armed guards started running at the friends.

It immediately turned into a full fledged fight scene. Weapons came out, fists went flying, all while the loud alarm was still blaring overhead. Isaac threw himself to the ground as Derek slashed his claws across a guard’s arm with a loud roar. The man immediately came back with some sort of electroshock weapon, though, and dug it into the wolf’s side. He went down with a growl, and Malia had to step in to help and sweep the guard’s feet out from underneath him in one rapid movement. Scott was turning invisible left and right, throwing force fields towards men to catch them off balance before he’d drop it and punch them by surprise.

“Forget about us?” Liam appeared out of nowhere, Theo right by his side. They ran into the battle, more guards on their trail. Liam flew up into the air only to come back down with a large boom, wiping out a group of them and sending weapons clattering to the ground, leaving a crack in the floor behind him. Theo froze the guns to incapacitate the guards before turning his body fully ice. One guy’s fist made contact with Theo’s chest, but the man’s bones broke instantly and he let out a cry. Theo used that moment to bend the guy’s whole hand backwards and blast him with ice.

“Lydia! Get down!” Stiles called out as the redhead was still standing in the middle of everything. She only gave Stiles a smirk, though, and grabbed the head of a man who was about to shoot Derek with a tranq. The guard dropped to the ground in a deep sleep.

“I can get into people’s minds in more than one way, Stiles,” she said with a wink and continued to sneak up on many more gunmen to do the same trick and drive them mad from the inside.

Stiles, meanwhile, was guarding Isaac off to the side. He threw a hand towards someone who was about to shoot Scott, but he had no luck and his powers didn’t work. Fortunately Liam came out of nowhere and flew the man up into the ceiling with a crash, but Stiles felt useless again. His high of success was over with too much happening around him, too many loud noises and flying bodies.

“Stiles, do something!” Isaac yelled, ducking out of the way in time for a guard to hit the wall and crumple to the ground.

“I’m trying!” Stiles hissed back, but he was overstimulated by the fight. How was he supposed to focus, but not focus too hard, all while panicking about his friends around him? The teen tried over and over again to do what he had done to the men downstairs, but no luck. His head was spinning around on his neck and he felt like he was about to throw up. “It’s not working,” he cried out to Isaac.

Isaac scrambled over to Stiles, both of them crouching down low on the ground to stay out of the line of fire. “What made it work before? You did it Stiles, you can do it again,” Isaac reassured him. Stiles clenched his eyes shut and yanked on his hair, the pain starting to rise in his head. If he didn’t calm himself down soon, his moment of success would go down the drain and he was going to have another attack. The whole building could implode.

It didn’t implode, but it did start to shake. Another earthquake came, everyone stopping as they tried to catch their balance from the vibrating floor. “Who is it?!” Doctor Hawes yelled to his men. It was clear he hadn’t seen Stiles yet. “It’s happening again, goddamn it, take them all!”

The earthquake had thrown everyone off their game, though, and the guards recovered first, aiming their tranquilizer guns at each kid. All of their expressions said they knew they were screwed now. Stiles opened his eyes for a second to see Derek staring straight at him, worry set in his face as a gun was held to his chest. “Stiles!” he yelled.

“I...I can’t control it!” Stiles said as he felt the power starting to slip through his fingertips. It was becoming too much, and he feared if he didn’t stop it now no one was making it out alive.

A warm hand then grabbed onto his own and Stiles looked up to see Isaac smiling down at him. “Let me help,” he said, then closed his eyes. All of a sudden, it felt like a great weight was being lifted off of Stiles’s chest. Blue lines started travelling down his arm and into Isaac’s, then Isaac lifted his own hand.

“What are you doing?” Stiles gaped.

“Just trust me, use your powers!” Isaac replied. Stiles obeyed and raised their arms up. He had way more control now and let out a loud scream as he threw his arm out to the side, hand balled in a fist. It felt like they were physically lifting the whole building as the earthquake grew even stronger with the louder Stiles’s yell got.

“It’s him, you idiots! Or...both of them! I don’t know, just do something!” Dr. Hawes exclaimed from where he was doubled over on the ground, holding onto whatever he could as the whole building vibrated. There were screams coming from down the hall and the sounds of things crashing to the floor. A loud crack rang through the air and the linoleum floor tiles started to split. Hawes tried to get to his feet, but Stiles threw a hand towards him and he immediately was pushed against the ground by an invisible force.

“Go!” Stiles yelled to his friends, sweat starting to bead on his forehead. His head hurt more than it ever had before, but it was a necessary pain to hold everyone down and destroy the warehouse while his friends got out. Malia grabbed onto Lydia and sped out, Liam flew Theo through the large hold that started to crack in the wall, and Scott gave Stiles and Isaac one last worried look before putting his force field around himself and running out. Derek was soon the only one left, reaching a hand out towards the two. “Go, Derek!” the teen screamed.

“Not without you guys! Come on!” Derek yelled back. It was clear he wasn’t going to budge, so Stiles just nodded and dropped his arms, Isaac following. The building started to settle again as the three of them ran towards the exit. Stiles intertwined his hand with the wolf’s.

“Get them!” the doctor yelled, but his men were all groaning in pain from being thrown around by Stiles’s powers.

The group of friends didn’t stop running as they all sprinted across the parking lot and towards the tree line. Stiles risked looking back once to see half of the warehouse caved in on itself, the alarm still somehow going off inside. He couldn’t help but feel a little smug knowing he was the one to do all of that, with Isaac’s help of course.

They finally made it to the van, Derek hopping into the front seat and quickly ushering everyone inside. The door was barely closed before the man was revving up the engine and hightailing it to the highway.

No one knew how to react once they made it to the main road again, all internally freaking out about what the hell just happened. Stiles could barely breathe as he was panting so loudly, and his hair was stuck to his forehead with sweat. “That…” he started between breaths, “...was freakin’ awesome!”

Everyone laughed and started hollering right alongside him. “Lahey!” Theo exclaimed and grabbed the boy’s shoulders. “What the hell was that and where has it been this whole time?” Derek looked at Isaac in the rearview mirror with a fond smile. His and Stiles’s hands were still clasped together over the middle console.

“Yeah, what the actual fuck?” Malia said in awe. “So you can like...use the powers of someone else?”

Isaac shrugged and tried to hide the blush on his cheeks, not used to so much attention. Scott put an arm around his shoulders and pulled him close, just as impressed as the rest of them. “Yeah, I guess,” Isaac said shyly. “I was taught ever since my powers manifested to hide them. Siphons are high on the list with omnikinetics as very dangerous uncommons, as we can pretty much become omnikinetic if we touch one of them. We have a better chance at controlling the power, though, because I have to grab someone and focus on their ability. I never showed what I could do before because I didn’t want to risk anything, but people assumed I had some lame ability I wanted to hide.” Theo awkwardly smiled and offered an apology, having been one of those people.

“And you knew?” Stiles asked the man next to him.

Derek nodded, keeping his eyes on the road. “Isaac trusted my mother, Deaton, and I with his secret,” he said. “I always wanted to keep him safe because I knew he wasn’t going to do it himself.”

“I was perfectly fine at keeping myself safe, thank you very much,” Isaac scoffed, but his tone was fond. “But I guess I appreciate you.”

The rest of the ride back was lighthearted, everyone nursing aching bones with jokes and banter to try and hide the fact that they were probably all on the DUA’s most wanted now, especially Stiles. Eventually they made it back to the gates of the academy, Marcos letting them in with a wave of his hand. Derek pulled the van up to the front of the school. Stiles imagined people would be out and about by now, but the grounds outside were still empty with no student in sight.

They all decided to just face the music now and headed to Talia’s office. The halls were eerily quiet like before. Surely everyone wasn’t still shoved up into their rooms. Maybe the school had gotten a call about the DUA incident and was trying to keep everyone safe, or maybe there was another emergency assembly.

Derek stopped in his tracks once they got close to the headmaster’s office, brows coming down in confusion. Everyone stared at the wolf, awaiting his reasoning for halting so abruptly. “Something’s not right,” he said, then threw open the door to his mother’s room.

Instead of Talia, though, they were met with Peter sitting in her desk, feet crossed on top of the wooden table and arms folded behind his head. He had a devious grin on his face like he was waiting for the group and knew that they were about to walk in. Werewolf hearing, Stiles guessed. What was more concerning, though, was how Kate was standing to the side of him and how the two faculty members each had an ominous presence. It immediately put up red flags in Stiles’s mind.

“Nephew!” Peter exclaimed excitedly. “I was wondering when you were all going to return from your impromptu field trip.”

“Peter,” Derek grunted. “Where’s my mom?” The whole group filed into the office, Kate shutting the door behind them with a slam. To Stiles, it felt like he had just waltzed into the belly of the beast.

“Oh, her?” Peter feigned innocence. “I’m not sure. In my opinion, that’s pretty poor headmastering skills if she isn’t even here to welcome back the heroes of the day! Hi there Isaac, welcome home.” Isaac rolled his eyes at the man.

“What’s going on?” Stiles stepped forward.

Peter eyed him up and down and his smirk grew. “Ah, Stiles,” he said and put his feet back on the ground, leaning forward. “I have been waiting especially for you-”

“Cut it out,” Derek said in a threatening tone, a low growl coming out.

Peter challenged him back, though, with his own fang and eye flash. “Watch it Derek,” he said. “You’ll see my big sis soon enough when you join the rest of the school.”

Lydia’s face then grew pale. “W-why?” she squeaked. “Guys, we need to go.” It was clear she was reading Peter’s mind and found something important buried deep in there.

“What is it Lyds?” Scott asked her.

“Can I tell first? Please? Don’t spoil my plans yet,” Peter said and stood up, walking around the desk slowly to stand closer to the teens. “You all did me a great favor tonight by taking care of some of the DUA agents. They’ve always been a colossal pain in our ass, so my colleagues and I have decided to finally take matters into our own hands. Down with the government! And...you all are going to help us.”

“What do you mean?” Liam asked, voice shaky from fear.

Peter pouted patronizingly towards him. “As we speak, Deucalion and Jennifer are prepping the students and faculty of this school to march into battle alongside me,” he said and gestured something to Kate. “Now it’s your turn.”

The woman moved as swift as a cat and pulled out some odd-looking weapon. Her enhanced marksmanship abilities allowed her to shoot something at each student at the same time. They all yelped, a dart-like object sticking out of their necks. Stiles reached up to pull the item out with a sting.

“What...what is this?” Derek asked, but he was starting to grow loopy. One by one, the students fell to the floor. Stiles was the last to go, giving the teachers one last confused glance before everything turned black.